PDA

View Full Version : Heikkis' Silhouette Challenge

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48

SincoTC
29th Jul 2012, 21:40
Good afternoon Brian,

It is indeed the Potez 650 (originally designated just 65)

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n540/SincoSafe/potez65-6.jpg

Evansb has control :ok:

evansb
29th Jul 2012, 21:59
Thank you. I don't have a silhouette ready, but this will have to do:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/Cyan_Print.jpg

SincoTC
30th Jul 2012, 05:48
Might just catch you before bed :)

Precursor to the Moonbat and a would-be first from a great manufacturer, the McDonnell Model 1

Have to be Open House if correct as I'm gonna be tied up at work pretty much all day :( and "dog-sitting" (walkies) during breaks!!

evansb
30th Jul 2012, 19:01
Yes, SincoTC is correct.:ok: The McDonnell 1 Interceptor. You have control.

As requested, it is OPEN HOUSE

Lightning Mate
31st Jul 2012, 16:00
Good evening / morning / g'day.

The thread has been slow of late I note, and I'm back after a week of absence.

I officially retired an hour ago. :):):):ok:

So here's something to be going on with.....

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/backagain.jpg

SincoTC
31st Jul 2012, 19:33
Evening LM :)

The thread has been slow of late I note, and I'm back after a week of absence

Welcome back; I hope you had a pleasant break! It sure has been slow mate, and it would seem that you were not the only one away!!!

I officially retired an hour ago.

Free of pesky students at last, that must be good for the blood-pressure :) I'm sure we all wish you a long and happy retirement :ok:

Thanks for posting, I was struggling to make time to fill my OH, but I've been hectic all day.

That'll never get off the ground with that skinny little prop up front :) Is it a generator, or a fuse on an early guided weapon? Rocket or jet powered? 1940's?

Unfortunately, I haven't much time to play this evening as We've got consultants in tomorrow and I've got reports to finish :(

skytrain10
31st Jul 2012, 19:54
Evening David

Firstly may I wish you a happy retirement. I am thoroughly envious.

Your latest did fly, in a manner...its the MiG I-270 I presume? Open House assuming correct.

Finally, check your email when you have a moment.

Lightning Mate
31st Jul 2012, 21:08
Thank you for the sentiments gentlemen.

The MiG I-270 it is indeed mate. :ok:

Open house has been declared. :\

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 07:05
Morning David:)

I guess I'd better put something up or you won't have anything to do with all that free time. I'm in and out of meetings with consultant all day but will do my best to monitor!

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n540/SincoSafe/TC_wtf251.jpg

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 07:55
Morning Trevor. :)

Looks old. American WW2 ?

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 08:26
Not so old as it looks mate!

Not from the USA

I will leave my light on but will only be able to check periodically

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 09:19
Is/was it's purpose an aerial target?

There are no obvious sensors, but the tail bulge may contain a radar reflector such as a mini version of the Luneberg Lens.

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 09:59
It was designed to tow targets as a secondary mission, but it's design purpose was to conduct photographic intelligence.

The "bulge" is in fact a jettisonable rocket booster, the flame of which can just be seen developing on the extreme right.

Edit: Hi Martin, just seen your light on, still away mate, last I heard you were bound for Kiev.

Ridge Runner
1st Aug 2012, 11:08
Hello Trevor! No, I'm back now, arrived on Friday night with a cold and blocked ears! :( Its all going away slowly, though.... :) You azre right, it was Kiev, preceded by 24 hours in Sofia. Both were as hot as hell!!! 38 in Kiev!

RR

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 13:23
.........:\

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 14:37
Kiev, preceded by 24 hours in Sofia. Both were as hot as hell!!! 38 in Kiev!

And not at all pleasant with a head-cold!! Welcome back RR :ok:

Coffee (and clue) time.

My challenge first flew in '72; waddya know it rhymes too :) Only the one made!

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 14:55
Well, the term UAV did not arrive until the late '70s. Before that (eg 1972) they were referred to as RPVs.

So is it an RPV?

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 15:03
Well, although I think you're are correct, I was surprised to find that my source classifies it as a UAV, and a first! Although the translation doesn't make it clear whether that is first UAV for the country, the manufacturer (both true I think) or the use of the term :)

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 15:05
Russian...?

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 15:26
Niet; in a manner of speaking you were on the right trail with your first question ;)

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 15:32
...but my first question asked if it was American, which you have said it isn't. :eek:

edit: perhaps you mean South American......

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 15:46
Not from the USA

That isn't not from America is it :)

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 15:48
Check my edit above mate.

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 15:52
Ah yes, you posted that a minute after I'd gone back into the workshop! It is South American :ok:

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 15:53
....FMA....?

Maybe the X59 Dronner.

SincoTC
1st Aug 2012, 16:10
No maybe mate; it is the FMA IA 59 Dronner X (also known by the nickname Tabano) :D

You have Control :ok:

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 17:59
Thanks TC.

We have not had a chopper for a while.........

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/redchopper.jpg

evansb
1st Aug 2012, 21:08
Piasecki 16-H Pathfinder ?

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2012, 22:12
That's a deal Brian. :ok:

Your thread mate - nite.

evansb
1st Aug 2012, 22:47
Really ? I pulled that one right out of my hat ! Must be my lucky day.. Good night, Captain. Here is the next one:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/Silly_Wet_.jpg

Lightning Mate
2nd Aug 2012, 06:00
Looks like the Harbin/AVIC WZ-19.

SincoTC
2nd Aug 2012, 08:17
Morning David :)

That looks good to me mate; I'll second your call, the picture used for the challenge is here:

Pictures of China's new Armed Helicopter WZ-19 release (http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/military-aviation/58544-pictures-chinas-new-armed-helicopter-wz-19-release.html)

Lightning Mate
2nd Aug 2012, 08:31
Morning Trevor.

That's exactly where I found it after Goggling Fenestron Helicopter. :)

evansb
2nd Aug 2012, 15:46
LightningMate is correct. :ok: The Harbin/AVIC WZ-19. He has control.

Lightning Mate
2nd Aug 2012, 16:16
Thanks co-pilot.:E

Do you know about Kens' new SC site?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/bluejob-1.jpg

MReyn24050
3rd Aug 2012, 09:35
Silhouette Challenge list updated today up to and including 31/July/2012.
Mel

Lightning Mate
3rd Aug 2012, 09:57
Many thanks Mel. :ok::ok:

Ridge Runner
3rd Aug 2012, 11:21
COIN machine? Its familiar but ......

Lightning Mate
3rd Aug 2012, 13:31
'artnoon Martin.

Sorry mate, I've been on Kens' new thread since this morning.

Not strictly COIN, but designed to be used in a battlefield area.

Project only.

SincoTC
3rd Aug 2012, 14:41
Coffee time!

Sorry mate, I've been on Kens' new thread since this morning

So that's where all the players are and why it's been quiet of late I guess!! :\:\

This challenge looks like the BAe P.1238 SABA ??

Oh well, back to work now, so OH please if correct :)

Edit:

Many thanks as usual to Mel for all your hard work :ok::ok:

Lightning Mate
3rd Aug 2012, 15:34
Nice call TC.

The BAe P.1238 SABA it is mate.

PM for you.

TC has called Open House.

MReyn24050
8th Aug 2012, 14:47
Sorry mate, I've been on Kens' new thread since this morning.

It would seem that everyone is now playing on the Google Group "Aircraft Silhouette Challenge" does that mean this thread will close and the list does not need to be updated?

Rosevidney1
8th Aug 2012, 18:40
I certainly hope it doesn't close.

MReyn24050
8th Aug 2012, 19:56
Well here is one to keep the thread going:-
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Silhouettequiz104.jpg

skytrain10
8th Aug 2012, 20:18
As most will know I have been an active player on SC for some years. During the last few months the level of activity has declined greatly, with several stalled challenges, and on 3 occassions now I withdrew challenges simply becaiuse there was no active interest.

A forum such as this depends entirely on those competing to make it work. The number of regulars has slowly reduced and I can think of only 1 active joiner of the group in the last year. Meanwhile others have left. That probably says it all.

Those who know me will understand why I took the decision to set up a Google Group competition based on the SC format but without the constraints. Suffice to say there were personal reasons why I did this as well - it was just not the decline of SC itself.

I certainly have no desire or wish to see SC fail....but ultimately it has relied on the actions of 3, maybe 4, regulars. Take 3 of those away and it does not work - which demonstrates it does not have the players to support it.

Mel, as for your question, I am not able to comment as I have effectively left SC and will soon no longer be a PP member. My personal view is that you should leave it - I for one have very much appreciated all your efforts to keep us in control, but my advice would be to see if it gets going again prior to doing any updates.

Rosevidney1, its nice to see that you have an interest but it would have been better to have seen you join in.

I have enjoyed my time on this forum, and I really hope that it can continue, perhaps with some of the existing, and some new players who can make a difference.

Best wishes to all
Ken

MReyn24050
8th Aug 2012, 22:48
Thank you for that Ken. I personally have not taken a very active part in this thread mainly because of the skill involved in producing the silhouette images. Perhaps we should revert to submitting challenges of aircraft identification from part photographs of aircraft in a similar manner to the old Avia Quiz as well as the odd silhouette.

Lightning Mate
9th Aug 2012, 07:53
Good morning all.

I echo everything Ken has said.

I too have enjoyed my time here, and would like to express my sincere thanks and gratitude to you Mel for your stalwart efforts in keeping the lists up to date.

Silhouetting is not difficult and requires no particular expertise, so if I can be of any help Mel, then please e-mail me, Ken, or Graeme and I'll do what I can.

You might recall that I taught Heikki how to do it and in short order he was producing some great stuff.

David

MReyn24050
9th Aug 2012, 08:44
Thank you David, but to be honest I just find it too much of a hassle to go to all that trouble then post it and find it is solved in minutes.
It is a shame that you all find it necessary to move across to Google as this thread was renamed "Heikkis' Silhouette Challenge" in memory of Heikki who was a keen follower of the thread.
From what I have seen of the Google Group there are only 5 contenders playing and 4 of those were SC followers. However it is early days and I hope it picks up, myself I will stay with PPRuNe.
Mel

evansb
9th Aug 2012, 16:29
I won't be posting anymore silhouettes on this thread.

MReyn24050
9th Aug 2012, 17:39
Thank you for your comment Bri. So you too are joining the Google Group I take it.

MReyn24050
9th Aug 2012, 18:18
Whist there appears to be a lack of interest in taking part in Silhouette Challenges judging by the number of people who have logged onto the thread over the last couple of hours there still is an interest in the topic.
The aircraft at post #10294 is the Parnall Plover
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/plover1-1.jpg

As an experiment I would like to post the following challenge. It is not a Silhouette but certainly an aircraft of Aviation History and for some people I should imagine also nostalgic. Open Houses are acceptable.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz01.jpg

Karlark
9th Aug 2012, 21:20
Does that have a Wright R-540 radial engine?

Noyade
9th Aug 2012, 22:30
As an experiment I would like to post the following challengeHi Mel.

As you know mate we did incorporate AviaQuiz style images and photos on this thread some time back, but in the end there were howls of protest based on the thread title. Cockpit shots from the "outside" and Aircraft Carriers as aerodromes were other suggestions, but not to be. I'm more than happy to participate and think of ways of maintaining enthusiasm, after all it's all about having fun, and learning.

It is a shame that you all find it necessary to move across to Google as this thread was renamed "Heikkis' Silhouette Challenge" in memory of Heikki who was a keen follower of the thread. I haven't moved mate. Still living in the same hobo shack using the same out of date PC but I like to look around and try different things every now and again. And no, I haven't trampled on Heikkis' grave. In fact, I'm sure he would have done the same.

So....

European? :)

MReyn24050
9th Aug 2012, 23:05
Karlark. You could well be right, I have been unable to confirm the engine type, it certainly looks like a 5 cylinder radial.

Graeme.
I think the main howl of protest came from a member of the new group. Let us try it. There have been over 380 visitors this evening. This one is not European

Noyade
9th Aug 2012, 23:16
Well, I'm glad you didn't "Mortenise" it to just a wheel or a float.

This one is not European

That's thrown me.
Collapses to a convenient size for a submarine?

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 00:02
This was not designed as a submarine aircraft. A variant of this aircraft was the subject of a silhouette challenge sometime ago.

Noyade
10th Aug 2012, 00:34
I have been unable to confirm the engine type

This worries me. Safe to rule out the USA and Japan then?

A variant of this aircraft was the subject of a silhouette challenge sometime ago.

It's a very long list mate. :)

But I'm onto it!....well maybe a bit later....gonna find me a Delta first.

Cheers for now.

Noyade
10th Aug 2012, 02:09
Midday and still looking for a possible country.

The guy lurking in the background on the far right...is he wearing a Turban?

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/4589/airquiz01.jpg (http://img860.imageshack.us/i/airquiz01.jpg/)

Karlark
10th Aug 2012, 03:16
Or Chinese??...

The more SC sites the merrier, in my opinion. I enjoy looking at aircraft. Don't care if they are or are not a silhouette as long as the image is ungoggleable. Is that a word? :)

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 12:26
Graeme.
is he wearing a Turban?

Not a turban Graeme. He does not come from the East. He comes from the west.

Karlark

as long as the image is ungoggleable. Is that a word?

It is good enough for me.

Noyade
10th Aug 2012, 13:04
He comes from the4 west.

Like as in West Africa? Moroccan?

SincoTC
10th Aug 2012, 13:05
Good afternoon Mel :),

I think I'm right in saying that's the navalised version of the Azcárate E-1 Sesquiplano (AKA Sesquiplano E) from Mexico ??

I've just got back from a business trip, thanks for filling the breach; I was going to reclaim my OH last weekend but my Internet was down again!

I'll continue to post on this thread for the same reasons as you gave above and like Graeme, I may well post on the new site if I have the time to spare, but I'm very busy at the moment and have a few emails and PM's to answer!

Edit: Evening Graeme :)

How are the fingers? You shouldn't have been making that gesture to a passing motorist when you fell off your bike mate :ok:

Noyade
10th Aug 2012, 13:11
Azcárate E-1 Sesquiplano (AKA Sesquiplano E) from Mexico ?? :hmm:........

G'day Trevor. Still broken mate, but I can still stick one finger up. In fact I'm sticking my finger up at you now, see? Bloody Azcarate......

:ok:

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 17:06
Hi Trevor. Great to hear that, like Graeme, you will continue to post here as well as the Google Groups. You have it,:ok: it is indeed the Azcárate E-1 Sesquiplano (AKA Sesquiplano E) from Mexico.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/TNCAE-1.jpg

You have control

SincoTC
10th Aug 2012, 17:22
Thank you Mel, a most timely reply as I've just knocked off for the day and am off home shortly, nothing prepared up my silhouetting sleeve at the moment, so I'll follow the trend and offer an AviaQuiz type challenge :)

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n540/SincoSafe/TC_wtf252.jpg

Will check back later after "walkies" and getting in some provisions!

Lightning Mate
10th Aug 2012, 18:50
Somebody here has just been very, very, very nasty.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 19:38
Somebody here has just been very, very, very nasty.

David. Please explain! I see nothing in the above posts to warrant such a statement.
Mel

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 20:05
Trevor. A Renard RSV 18/100 I believe.

skytrain10
10th Aug 2012, 20:14
David has taken action on my behalf Mel, not that I asked him to, but he has chosen to out of anger.

Those on SC who have also joined my google group will no doubt be aware of the reason for that anger. I have no fight against anyone on SC and I thought I had made it clear in my PM to regulars that there were certain reasons why I had chosen to leave.

There is no more for me to say. Suffice to say I am so disappointed in the attitiude of a certain SC player - I really thought that everyone on this forum had a good relationship. Sadly someones true colours have been displayed.

There is reference to Heikki's name further back. I think its safe to say he would be disgusted with the comments made to me and I would like to think he would be right behind me.

This is my last post, and I wish MOST of you all the the very best.

SincoTC
10th Aug 2012, 20:47
David has taken action on my behalf Mel, not that I asked him to, but he has chosen to out of anger

Thanks for the clarification Ken :ok: I was just a bit concerned that the wording and unfortunate juxtaposition of David's post in relation to mine made it seem that I was the culprit, which as you know, I was not!! It was just a case of David shooting from the hip in anger, but I won't put him in the "sin-bin" :)

I would just like to make it plain to any casual observers that I thoroughly condemn such an attitude and wish you well in the new thread and I will be posting on there as soon as time permits and I've had a chance to get to grips with the interface!

Edit: Mel, see my reply to you on next page!!

SincoTC
10th Aug 2012, 20:49
A Renard RSV 18/100 I believe

Of course, you believe correctly Mel; control is yours again :ok:

Lightning Mate
10th Aug 2012, 21:44
This is my last post, and I wish MOST of you all the the very best.

Echoed.....

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 22:35
Personally I find all this rather sad. If individuals wish to fall out then please do so privately. Please do not let any of that bad feeling spill over into this thread. I too wish the Google Group success and I also hope that this thread can carry on in the successful manner it has done since its conception if necessary by including both silhouettes and photographs. After all 222,616 views in just over 2 years cannot be bad. The real interest is of course the aircraft.

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 22:38
Thanks Trevor. Here is the next one, another photograph I am afraid:-

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz02.jpg

Noyade
10th Aug 2012, 22:51
Hi Mel.

After all 222,616 views in just over 2 years cannot be bad.

Do you remember when Heikki use to make those projection graphs that estimated when the million views would occur? Being the president of the Australian Skeptics Society, I've never really understood the whole "view" thing? How can so many people view us, but not participate? Be like going to a whorehouse "just for a look". :)

If this was an Olympic sport, do you think the "difficulty factor" is killing participation?

Just a thought.

Noyade
10th Aug 2012, 22:54
Hopefully not Mexican.

No tricks? From the USA?

Noyade
10th Aug 2012, 23:11
Curtiss Robin in appearance - but not so simple?

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 23:13
Graeme
If this was an Olympic sport, do you think the "difficulty factor" is killing participation?

I personally think that has been the case. As I said before I found the production of the silhouette too much of a hassle and therefore my involvement has been minimal over the years. It has not always been possible to find three view diagrams of interesting subjects.

This one has a Mexican involvement but the aircraft was not built in Mexico. But not the Curtiss Robin.

Noyade
10th Aug 2012, 23:35
This one has a Mexican involvement but the aircraft was not built in MexicoRight - I think.

Well, I don't have a simple solution mate (to the participation problem). Even if we dispensed with the lists and started back with Spitfies, MiGs and Messerschmitts we will eventually end up with Mexicans.

One thing is certain - I am not in your league...

I have nothing to offer and you and Mel and evansb and sabredog and a few more are in a league of your own.Cheers for now. :ok:

MReyn24050
10th Aug 2012, 23:46
One thing is certain - I am not in your league...

Nonsense Graeme. Do not underestimate yourself.

This aircraft is American and was used by the Escobar rebels in the Mexican Rebellion 1929.
Mel

evansb
11th Aug 2012, 16:50
Well, if actual silhouettes are no longer strictly required, I will post some challenges, a'la AVIA QUIZ style.

Is the latest challenge a Waterhouse Cruzair ?

MReyn24050
11th Aug 2012, 17:57
That is the one Bri :ok:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Crazair.jpg

Well, if actual silhouettes are no longer strictly required, I will post some challenges, a'la AVIA QUIZ style.

Well seeing as most of the regular players have moved on to pastures new I thought I would try introducing this type of quiz as well as silhouettes (if anyone still wishes to post them) rather than have the thread die. Yours will be most welcome.:ok:

You have control.

evansb
11th Aug 2012, 18:25
Thank you Mel. Gentlemanly reason prevails. Ironically, I have a silhouette of a Waterhouse Cruzair.

Here is a 3-view of an aircraft that managed to fly off the drawing board:
(It also has retractable main gear)
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/GULL_WING_SWEETY.jpg

Noyade
11th Aug 2012, 22:59
A German Moller?

MReyn24050
11th Aug 2012, 23:05
I do not think it is German Graeme. I think it comes from Hungary

evansb
11th Aug 2012, 23:13
Goulash never tasted so good...

SincoTC
12th Aug 2012, 08:47
There's a lot of similarities to the Rubik R-14 Pinty, but a lot of significant differences, so it doesn't appear to be that!

So maybe it's the (unbuilt as far as I know) two seat "improved Pinty", the R-19 Pinty II ??

Have to be OH if correct as I'm going to be very busy for the rest of the day :(

Edit: Ooops! I just noticed that Brian said that flew off the drawing board, so that would seem to rule that out unless I misunderstand his meaning!! Oh, well, no time to dig deeper, gotta fly (I wish :))!

Noyade
12th Aug 2012, 10:41
The Hungarian Bluebird?

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9499/img157g.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/i/img157g.jpg/)

evansb
12th Aug 2012, 12:19
Yes, Noyade, it is the Samu-Gonczy SG-2 Kekmadar.:ok: Your turn.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/49221.jpg

Noyade
12th Aug 2012, 22:34
Thanks Brian and thanks for the clue Mel.

Well, if actual silhouettes are no longer strictly required, I will post some challenges, a'la AVIA QUIZ style. I'm happy to see that, but do we want to see the "snippet/cropped" style, or a more substantial piece of the puzzle?

Example...

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4349/img159v.jpg (http://img546.imageshack.us/i/img159v.jpg/)

The benefit there is we could use well-known aircraft not on Mel's list, because in the past we would have considered them as too easily identifiable. And they're very easy to make. Anyone can do it. Repeat - anyone.

Thoughts?

In the meantime, I'll try this...

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2136/img158g.jpg (http://img713.imageshack.us/i/img158g.jpg/)

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2012, 09:40
Graeme
I have no problem with your "snippet/cropped" style. However, others might feel differently.

Regarding your challenge, an interesting looking aircraft. 5 Cyl radial, low wing monoplane. Metal fuselage fabric covered wings? Vintage early 1930s perhaps? Possibly Russian.

Noyade
13th Aug 2012, 09:51
Good morning Mel.

However, others might feel differently.Fair enough mate. I'll wait for other comments before trying it.

Metal fuselage fabric covered wings? Vintage early 1930s perhaps? Yes mate - "fabric covered magnesium". I have 1934 and it made around 600 flights.

(Did you watch any of the Closing Ceremony? I was never a fan of the Spice Girls...)

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2012, 10:10
Found it, courtesy of Airwar.ru, the EMAI I-34.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/emai-c1.jpg

Watched part of it but so many has beens on it I switched stations.

Noyade
13th Aug 2012, 10:12
Very well done mate! :ok::D

You have control.

Noyade
13th Aug 2012, 10:42
You have control.

Including the television control I see. :)

Yes, I didn't watch a lot of it either.

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2012, 11:06
Thanks Graeme, a very interesting challenge.
Here is the next one, well it is almost in silhouette.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Silhouettequiz105.jpg

Noyade
13th Aug 2012, 11:21
I'll try a few stabs before heading off mate, but I sense a cunning trick here?

A French Farman of sorts?

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2012, 11:46
No cunning tricks at all, but this one is not French.

Noyade
13th Aug 2012, 11:49
How about the Sopwith Greek Seaplane?

Noyade
13th Aug 2012, 11:57
Looks to be the one...

If so, must be open house Mel, sorry.

Cheers. :ok:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5162/img160nc.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/img160nc.jpg/)

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2012, 13:26
That is the one :ok:. Graeme has declared open house.

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2012, 22:36
No takers? Try this one:-
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz03.jpg

Noyade
13th Aug 2012, 23:21
Well it's all there, the whole aircraft, and there's two of them! Yet the recognition cells remain anaesthetised.

First thought was British. I'm dubious about that.
Second thought is French, purely based on the tail.
Now I'm even thinking some sort of naval American?

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2012, 23:40
Follow your second thoughts Graeme..

Noyade
13th Aug 2012, 23:46
Thanks mate. Looking now and typing you an e-mail, so ignore my green light and don't wait up.

Cheers. :)

MReyn24050
13th Aug 2012, 23:49
Good Night from here.

Noyade
14th Aug 2012, 04:47
Mid-afternoon, a cup of tea and another look-in. I was hoping Karlark, Brian or a sleepless Trevor may have solved it or provided some more ideas.

At the moment I'll try for a Potez product, maybe the 25 or XV versions?

SincoTC
14th Aug 2012, 06:22
A'rtnoon Graeme,

or a sleepless Trevor may have solved it or provided some more ideas.

Well I was going to plump for the Potez 15 (aka XV) but couldn't get on line 'coz of ongoing Internet problems, I've got Ken's Anzani powered jobber too (from a good place for beer and chocolates), but ditto :ugh: will try again later but a busy day ahead!

MReyn24050
14th Aug 2012, 07:55
I will give it to you Graeme.:ok: They are in fact Potez XVII of the Bulgarian Air Force.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/PotezXVII.jpg

You have control

Noyade
14th Aug 2012, 08:09
A lot of generosity happening lately, thanks Mel. :)

Here's the next....

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8243/madeonefinally.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/madeonefinally.jpg/)

Noyade
14th Aug 2012, 08:43
I made the silhouette from an illustration from what I've now dubbed "The Book of Morten".

SincoTC
14th Aug 2012, 12:20
Maybe catch Graeme's before he goes to bed, but I have good reason to believe that this is a Junkers S36 !!

Better be OH if he confirms, as I will be too busy in the workshop this afternoon to put another one up:(

Noyade
14th Aug 2012, 12:28
Junkers S36

Well done Trevor, it is indeed the Junkers. :ok:

The workshop demands his attention = open house.

MReyn24050
14th Aug 2012, 12:45
To keep things moving try this easy one. Manufacture and designation required:-

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz04.jpg

sabredog
14th Aug 2012, 16:49
Fokker YO-27?

MReyn24050
14th Aug 2012, 17:33
That is the one. :ok:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/FokkerYO-27.jpg

You have control

sabredog
14th Aug 2012, 18:01
The next;
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i352/mosquito633/Quiz159.jpg

MReyn24050
14th Aug 2012, 20:04
Interesting aircraft. It look as as though it is pretending to be something else.

Not a radial and with fixed undercarriage. Some type of racer perhaps and possibly French.

Noyade
14th Aug 2012, 20:43
I like your Fokker Mel. :) I had a quick look late last night and thought it was Russian!

The one above (I think I posted this a long time ago?) is the Max Plan PF.204?

sabredog
14th Aug 2012, 21:50
Correct. The Max Plan PF.204.
YHC.

Noyade
14th Aug 2012, 23:19
Thanks Terry,

AQ style...

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1310/img175k.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/img175k.jpg/)

MReyn24050
15th Aug 2012, 10:20
Judging by the panel on the side of the engine cowling it is from Tommy Sopwith's stable. The F.1 Camel perhaps?

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 10:30
Welcome back Mel.

Indeed it is mate, the Sopwith Camel. A new one for your list.

:)

MReyn24050
15th Aug 2012, 10:36
Thanks Graeme. Here is the next. Manufacturer and name required.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz06.jpg

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 10:41
Immediate thought was the Nanchang CJ-6.

So therefore.......from the USA?

MReyn24050
15th Aug 2012, 10:47
You are nearly there it is from NAMC.

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 10:56
NAMC.

I'm thinking that would be Japanese? A Japanese version of the Yak/Nanchang?

I keep seeing the name Haiyan - but I think that's Chinese.

MReyn24050
15th Aug 2012, 11:28
Sorry Graeme I was being too pedantic. You had it the first time it :ok:. The photograph was captioned the NAMC (Nanchang Aircraft Manufacturing Company) Haiyan.
NAMC decided in 1985 to undertake a conversion of the CJ-6 basic trainer to produce a multi-purpose agricultural and forestry aircraft. The prototype Haiyan A flew 17 august 1985.

From that shot of the aircraft it could have been either.

You have control

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 11:39
Thanks mate. There is an American aircraft on Aerofiles (I forget the manufacturer) with a designation 225, (I think) which is what I thought it may have been.

Let me know if the cropping is excessive....

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1813/img179b.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/img179b.jpg/)

MReyn24050
15th Aug 2012, 12:56
No cropping is fine. This one is also American I think.

Karlark
15th Aug 2012, 13:48
Yes it does. It looks like a Seversky BT-8.

SincoTC
15th Aug 2012, 14:58
Good morning Karl,

Just pausing for a hurried coffee break.

I'll second that call; the picture that Graeme cropped appears to be this one:
Seversky BT-8 - trainer (http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/seversky_bt-8.php)

As it's nearly 1am in Wagga Wagga and Graeme's not likely to around for several hours yet, I'm sure that he would agree that you should take control :ok:

Karlark
15th Aug 2012, 15:44
Well Thank You Trevor. :)

Here is the next SC:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii20/mudflaps_2008/2012/35-6.jpg

SincoTC
15th Aug 2012, 19:05
Good afternoon Karl,

I do believe that's the Moreland M-1 Trainer ??

Karlark
15th Aug 2012, 19:39
Good Evening Trevor,

It is the Moreland M-1 Trainer! :D
I thought it would be a difficult one to ID, but not for you. :ok:

SincoTC's control

SincoTC
15th Aug 2012, 20:22
Thanks Karl,

Here's the next silhouette:

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n540/SincoSafe/TC_wtf253a.jpg

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 21:01
Good call on the BT-8. I guess a case for "you can crop, but can't hide forever". :)

Evening mate. Ruskie looking? It flew? A gun in the tail?

SincoTC
15th Aug 2012, 21:10
G'day Graeme,

Thanks, 'twaz Karl that got your BT-8, I just seconded it as you were :zzz: (like a baby I hope)

'Tiz a Ruskie, it did fly and that is a gun in the tail :ok:

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 21:15
Thanks, 'twaz Karl that got your BT-8

Yes mate, I know, I was just giving you all a big warm fuzzy hug. :)

Ilyushin? Beagle with a nose job?

SincoTC
15th Aug 2012, 21:19
Yes mate, I know

I thought you did, but I didn't want to steal the credit on the ID from Karl

Not an Ilyushin

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 21:25
but I didn't want to steal the credit

I steal credit every day. I wish I had more savings. :(

Mr Tupolev?

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 21:30
I thought you did,

A bolded thought? Is that a clue mate?

SincoTC
15th Aug 2012, 21:34
Sorry, not from Mr Tupolev!

A bolded thought? Is that a clue mate?

No mate, but if you want a clue, it's in the wing-tips ;)

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 21:41
it's in the wing-tips http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Really?

Let's back up a bit. This is a Russian twin-jet aircraft built and flown. Needle nose and straight wing? Carried comrades into battle?

Not an RPV?

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 21:49
it's in the wing-tips http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

The other thought is a Ruskie equivalent to the American Thunderjet/B-29/B-36 wingtip parasite projects?

But this looks too big for that.

SincoTC
15th Aug 2012, 21:52
OK, lets have a quick summary!

This is a Russian twin-jet aircraft built and flown. Yes

Needle nose maybe not quite as pointy as it looks, but that's how the silhouette shows it!

straight wing Yes (viewed from above ;)

Carried comrades into battle? It didn't enter service

Not an RPV

Take a closer look at the wing-tips mate (they're not fuel tanks) ;)

Edit:

Not a parasite project and it is/was quite large!

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 22:03
The Beriev R-1?

SincoTC
15th Aug 2012, 22:05
You got mate :D

The Beriev R-1

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n540/SincoSafe/Beriev_Be8.jpg

Noyade has control :ok:

Noyade
15th Aug 2012, 22:11
Thanks Trevor. Thanks for the clues. :)

I just kept thinking of a Yak-25 sized bomber. Nothing gelled, in fact I thought you were trying to tell me the wing-tips were reconnaissance pods. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Open house and a cup of coffee are the order of the day!

Cheers. :ok:

MReyn24050
16th Aug 2012, 09:43
Open House, well here is another one. Well it is almost a silhouette:-
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz05.jpg

Noyade
16th Aug 2012, 09:54
Another Nanchang Mel? The Q-5?

MReyn24050
16th Aug 2012, 10:08
Your on the ball Graeme, :ok: it is the Q-5
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/namc_q-5.jpg

You have control.

Noyade
16th Aug 2012, 10:24
Thanks Mel.

Like I said earlier, please let me know if you feel I've over-cropped...

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9872/img184.jpg (http://img249.imageshack.us/i/img184.jpg/)

VX275
16th Aug 2012, 12:14
Another boat?

MReyn24050
16th Aug 2012, 13:17
It is another Boat. The Martin P5M Marlin
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/MartinMarlin.jpg

Noyade
16th Aug 2012, 21:37
You were on the right path VX275. Your resourcefulness astounds me Mel. :ok:
Well done mate.

Your control.

MReyn24050
16th Aug 2012, 22:37
Thanks Graeme. VX275's comment helped as a flying boat was likely to be the only type to have a bomb bay in the engine nacelle. Here is another boat I am afraid:-
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz07-1.jpg

Noyade
16th Aug 2012, 23:05
Thinking spaghetti.

Macchi?

MReyn24050
16th Aug 2012, 23:12
You are in the right stretch of water, i.e. correct manufacturer.

Noyade
16th Aug 2012, 23:55
Had a quick Macchi hunt (never realised there were so many).
May have had some early success - based on the strut pattern....the M.9 bomber?

I'll load this image and compare....hmmm. One or two struts are missing?

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8245/599259941141b65510e6.jpg (http://img254.imageshack.us/i/599259941141b65510e6.jpg/)

Noyade
17th Aug 2012, 02:38
Mr Macchi certainly built a lot of similar looking flying boats.

One or two struts are missing?But they do re-appear in the M.18, but now we have a nose gunner - which is not seen in your Macchi Mel?

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8476/img189o.jpg (http://img211.imageshack.us/i/img189o.jpg/)

MReyn24050
17th Aug 2012, 09:15
You have it, :ok: my source states that it is the Macchi 18/2000. You have control.

Noyade
17th Aug 2012, 09:39
Thanks Mel.

Budget Travel proudly present a new passenger service - "Cramped Class"...

(He doesn't look impressed?)

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1843/img186s.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/i/img186s.jpg/)

sabredog
17th Aug 2012, 13:23
Blériot-SPAD S.27.

Noyade
17th Aug 2012, 21:20
SPAD S.27. Well done Terry. Your control. :)

SPAD S-27 - Transport civil - Un sicle d'aviation franaise, les avions franais (http://www.aviafrance.com/spad-s-27-aviation-france-136.htm)

sabredog
17th Aug 2012, 21:58
Thank you,Graeme.
The next;
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i352/mosquito633/Quiz161-1.jpg

Noyade
18th Aug 2012, 02:10
A fighter Terry?

Mr Green's A-Z on the subject, provides a small frontal line drawing...of the Nakajima Ki-12...that looks similar? And from Mr Google...

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3902/aki0070.jpg (http://img845.imageshack.us/i/aki0070.jpg/)

sabredog
18th Aug 2012, 08:01
You are correct,Graeme. It is the Nakajima Ki-12.
YHC

Noyade
18th Aug 2012, 08:34
Thanks Terry.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/3677/img194o.jpg (http://img833.imageshack.us/i/img194o.jpg/)

(http://img17.imageshack.us/i/img194f.jpg/)

SincoTC
18th Aug 2012, 08:59
Evening Graeme :),

Is that a five-seater?

Noyade
18th Aug 2012, 09:03
I believe it's a three-seater mate.

And morning to ya. :)

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8743/img194h.jpg (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/img194h.jpg/)

SincoTC
18th Aug 2012, 09:17
Thanks mate, the front two looked a lot wider than the rear!

I have to ask, is it from the USA?

Civilian role?

Noyade
18th Aug 2012, 09:18
USA
Aerofiles.

Noyade
18th Aug 2012, 09:29
Is there a beer over there called Gage Roads London Best?

SincoTC
18th Aug 2012, 09:39
Never seen it, isn't it an Oz brew? I expect you can get it if you look around!

Is that a clue of some kind, 'coz I don't thing Gage made anything like this!

Noyade
18th Aug 2012, 09:44
isn't it an Oz brew?

Just read the fine print. Product of Australia. Idiot, here I was thinking I'm drinking British beer. :(

Also bought some Indian and American - better check those labels as well.

Clue....

Manufacturer was more famous for helicopters.

SincoTC
18th Aug 2012, 10:08
Sorry mate, I had a visitor to see to!

I guess it must be the Sikorsky S-32 ??

Edit: I think Gage brewery probably import hops from Kent, the so-called "Garden of England" to the the SE of London to mix in with their "London's Best"

Noyade
18th Aug 2012, 10:13
Sikorsky S-32

It is mate. Well done. :ok:

SincoTC
18th Aug 2012, 11:25
Thanks Graeme,

BTW, your Sikorsky it is coded as a five-seater in Aerofiles, but I won't hold it against you (not for long anyway :))

This is almost a silhouette!

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n540/SincoSafe/TC_wtf254.jpg

sabredog
18th Aug 2012, 12:16
Breguet X1V T Salon ?

SincoTC
18th Aug 2012, 12:26
I'm going to give to you Terrence, the caption says it's an A2 and it has no windows, but it was shown in civvy markings :)

Breguet 14 A2 O-BLON (c/n 7122 - Former Aviation Militaire Belge "10") of SNETA seen at Haren airfield in the twenties.

sabredog has control :ok:

sabredog
18th Aug 2012, 15:43
Many thanks,Trevor. The Breguet 14 did appear to have a number of subtypes!
The next challenge should not stay the course too long;
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i352/mosquito633/Quiz163.jpg

evansb
19th Aug 2012, 01:15
Okay, I'll guess it is a proposed ASW/MPA. The wing is similar to the EADS C295, however the horizontal stabilizer appears almost too small. I can't find anything resembling it on the net. Did it appear in a recent issue of AVW&ST?

On second thought, is it the proposed XIAN MA60-MPA Fearless Albatross?

aviate1138
19th Aug 2012, 06:23
Another Fokker! Fokker Maritime Enforcer?

sabredog
19th Aug 2012, 06:56
It is the F-27 Fokker Maritime Enforcer,Aviate1138. Although I am reliably informed that it's provenance is in doubt. Some aspects of the silhouette resemble closely the EADS C295,as mentioned by evansb.
Apologies for any confusion.
YHC.

evansb
19th Aug 2012, 22:59
Yes, the cockpit windshield step-down profile does not match the Fokker's at all. It appears the silhouette is distorted.

MReyn24050
20th Aug 2012, 15:56
The thread appears to have stalled. Aviate1138, if I have jumped the gun too early I apologise but here is one to keeps things moving:-
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz10.jpg

Noyade
20th Aug 2012, 22:23
G'day Mel.

First thought is a German Arado?
Or at least European?

Noyade
20th Aug 2012, 22:25
BTW, your Sikorsky it is coded as a five-seater in Aerofiles

Is that right? Well I never......:)

MReyn24050
21st Aug 2012, 08:13
Hi Graeme. It is European but not German.

Noyade
21st Aug 2012, 10:50
I was hoping for German mate.
I would welcome a clue, at your leisure.

MReyn24050
21st Aug 2012, 13:22
I would welcome a clue, at your leisure.

Well I can tell you it was designed by a man that had the same name as one of Britain's greatest voyagers and explorers.

Karlark
21st Aug 2012, 16:57
Hello Mel, Is it the Beardmore WB.XXVI ?

MReyn24050
21st Aug 2012, 18:20
Hi Karl. It is indeed the Beardmore WB.XXVI designed by W.S. "Bill" Shackleton.
The Beardmore WB XXVI was powered by a Rolls-Royce Eagle engine.

The prototype first flew some time in 1925. While it proved to be manoeuvrable, it was underpowered, and performance was poor. Only one example was built. It was sent to Latvia for evaluation in 1926 but only flown three times before it was rejected. As the Latvians were unwilling to pay for replacement of the Eagle with a more powerful Napier Lion engine it was eventually sent back to Beardmore and scrapped.

You have control.

Karlark
21st Aug 2012, 19:28
Thanks Mel. Here's the next:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii20/mudflaps_2008/2012/36-9.jpg

Noyade
21st Aug 2012, 21:07
Where are you guys finding these things?! :(:)

Russian Karl?

Karlark
21st Aug 2012, 21:34
Just taking my time. :)...
Oh yes it is Russian.

Noyade
21st Aug 2012, 21:36
Khakrov KhAI-5 (R-10)....?

Karlark
21st Aug 2012, 21:41
No I don't think it's that, although very similar.

have to check in later, it's past quittin' time.

Noyade
21st Aug 2012, 22:15
Another...

Kochyerigin SR....?

MReyn24050
21st Aug 2012, 22:30
I would say you have it Graeme the Kocherigin, SR (R-9, LBSh, TsKB-27).

Karlark
22nd Aug 2012, 00:10
Yes, you have it Graeme. :ok:

The Kocherigin SR is correct. Your control.

TsKB-27/SR, Kocherigin (http://ram-home.com/ram-old/tskb-27.html)

Noyade
22nd Aug 2012, 05:03
Thanks Karl.

I've cropped the tail, but If you want it back, just let me know.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3382/cropsk.jpg (http://img805.imageshack.us/i/cropsk.jpg/)

Karlark
22nd Aug 2012, 19:01
American Graeme? Some sort of Stearman?

MReyn24050
22nd Aug 2012, 21:04
Interesting aircraft Graeme. I gather your Cockpit Challenge is the cockpit to this aircraft. 7 Cyl radial with a three bladed prop? It looks very similar to the Fokker CX, intriguing.

sycamore
22nd Aug 2012, 21:21
Mel,it can`t be,as the struts around the cockpit are totally different....
( for the Cockpit challenge)

Noyade
22nd Aug 2012, 21:41
Evening gents.

Not a Stearman Karl.
Not a Fokker Mel and not related to my WC - which reminds me, need a clue there.

Here's the tail back...

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/151/img215q.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/img215q.jpg/)

Noyade
22nd Aug 2012, 21:50
American

Sorry Karl, yes, from the USA but made for export....

Noyade
22nd Aug 2012, 22:21
Probably just the angle that's throwing you off. Or the captions are all wrong! From an article.....

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1082/img224h.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/img224h.jpg/)

MReyn24050
22nd Aug 2012, 22:23
Curtiss Cyclone Falcon for the Columbia
Here is the aircraft withour floats.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/CurtissCycloneFalconwithoutfloats.jpg

SincoTC
22nd Aug 2012, 22:26
Curtiss Falcon for Columbia ??

Edit: Beaten to it I see; well done Mel :ok:

Noyade
22nd Aug 2012, 22:34
Curtiss Cyclone Falcon for the ColumbiaThat's the one! Your control Mel. :ok:

(Does look a bit Fokkerish?)

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6688/img223kt.jpg (http://img825.imageshack.us/i/img223kt.jpg/)

MReyn24050
22nd Aug 2012, 23:19
Thanks Graeme. That was a great challenge. For some reason the canopy made me think there was a connection with your cockpit challenge but now I can see the wimg struts are completely different.

Here is the next one:-
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz11.jpg

Noyade
22nd Aug 2012, 23:37
I think this was the first aircraft that appeared in the second series of this thread Mel?

The Rohrbach Ro IX Rofix...?

Kurt Tanks first fighter.

Noyade
22nd Aug 2012, 23:59
Sorry Mel, if it is, I'll have to make it open house. I'm heading off to earn a buck or two. Cheers.

MReyn24050
23rd Aug 2012, 00:13
It is not on the list. I must have missed it.:ok: It is the Rofix. Here is the next
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz09.jpg

Noyade
23rd Aug 2012, 10:10
Shorts Chamois S.3b....?

MReyn24050
23rd Aug 2012, 10:56
You have it Graeme :ok:. It is the Shorts Chamios. You have control.

Noyade
23rd Aug 2012, 11:05
Thanks Mel.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3355/img213yz.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/img213yz.jpg/)

MReyn24050
23rd Aug 2012, 13:44
British? The Fairey III possibly?

Noyade
23rd Aug 2012, 21:33
G'day Mel.

No Fairies here mate, but it is British and the makers hoped it would take part in a long journey.

SincoTC
23rd Aug 2012, 22:43
G'day Graeme,

Looking at the depth of the rear fuselage and the shape of the fin, I think it's the Sopwith Atlantic ??

I'm going to be tied up all day tomorrow (Friday), so It'll have to be Open House if correct, sorry :)

MReyn24050
23rd Aug 2012, 22:46
The engine looks like a Rolls Royce eagle, perhaps it is the Sopwith Atlantic?

Trevor this time you beat me by three minutes.

Noyade
23rd Aug 2012, 23:17
Well done gents. It is the Sopwith Atlantic...:ok:

Sopwith Atlantic (http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft30094.htm)

Trevor has declared Open House, however 3 minutes is not long (unless holding ones breath), so would you like control Mel?

MReyn24050
23rd Aug 2012, 23:38
Thank you Graeme. Unfortunately PPRuNE does not update automatically and therefore I missed Trevor's post.
Here is an easy one. I am after the Manufacturer and name of the aircraft not the name of the young lady, however if you can name her you get an extra point.
Mel
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz12.jpg

Noyade
24th Aug 2012, 00:42
Early days, so I won't ask for clues....yet. :)
I'm hoping she's British and the aircraft as well. Looks to be a big engine and not your typical light biplane aircraft.

The Fairey Fox I....maybe? I don't know who the Fox getting in is.

Loading this to compare the panelling....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4813/fox5d.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/fox5d.jpg/)

MReyn24050
24th Aug 2012, 09:25
Brilliant Graeme. :D:ok: It is indeed a Fairey Fox I. The aircraft in question is G-ACAS of Luxury Air Tours. This aircraft was flown with C.W.A. Scott's flying circus in 1933 by Flt Lt J B Pugh until it caught fire in the air and was burned out on landing at Littlehampton Sussex on July 14 1933.
The lady standing on the wheel is the Hon Mrs Victor Bruce.
The aircraft below is another Fairey Fox:-

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/0922-01-1-2.jpg

You have comtrol

Noyade
24th Aug 2012, 20:29
Thanks Mel and apologies for the delay.

The lady standing on the wheel is the Hon Mrs Victor Bruce.Hope I wasn't ouuta line calling her a "Fox" then? I did see a mention about a Flying Circus somewhere on google but dismissed it believing this was some sort of Aviation Record in the making.

Anyway, onward....

[/URL][URL="http://img253.imageshack.us/i/rsd2.jpg/"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1268/rsd2.jpg (http://img835.imageshack.us/i/img233i.jpg/)

MReyn24050
24th Aug 2012, 22:15
Looks like the Northrop P61 Black Widow Turret installation.

Noyade
24th Aug 2012, 23:17
It is mate. Well done. :ok:

I was wondering if I could make the P-61 less identifiable - I guess not. I got my wife to have a look at it (I'm training her to take over when I die) and see said it looked like a boat, so I thought it might work. :)

Back to you mate.

MReyn24050
24th Aug 2012, 23:45
It did indeed look like a boat, your wife was correct the guy standing where the starboard wing should be gave it that image. Here is another easy one to keep you busy, not a very clear photograph I am afraid.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz13b.jpg

Noyade
24th Aug 2012, 23:57
Thanks Mel. Heading out shortly - taking youngest to work. Will look closer this afternoon. Sleep well mate. :ok:

Noyade
25th Aug 2012, 04:48
not a very clear photograph

Running with that, I'm thinking it's not from the USA?

MReyn24050
25th Aug 2012, 08:27
This one was not from the USA.

Noyade
25th Aug 2012, 22:34
How bout South America?

What's worrying me (not to the point of losing sleep of course) is as you mention the quality of the photograph. My peanut brains asks "why would he do that?" and I'm now thinking, cause it's the only decent photo available on the net.

Conclusion > This is one very rare aircraft?

MReyn24050
25th Aug 2012, 23:53
It is from South America. You are partially correct, it is a rare aircraft. However it is not the only photograph on the net, the other one would allow the aircraft to be found using Google Image search facility. Turning in now Graeme have a great morning.

MReyn24050
26th Aug 2012, 19:01
I found a slightly clearer image of the mystery aircraft. It is from South America and first flew circa 1947.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz13c.jpg

Noyade
26th Aug 2012, 21:09
South America

Hi Mel. Big place, any chance of narrowing it down to one particular country?
I had a look at Argentina - no luck.

Brazil/Brasil?

evansb
26th Aug 2012, 21:31
Brasil's CNNA HL-14 ? Although it does look kinda "IMPA ish"

MReyn24050
26th Aug 2012, 22:15
Not Brasil's CNNA HL-14 Bri this aircraft did not come from Brazil or Argentina. Graeme the country it came from has a long Pacific coast line.

SincoTC
26th Aug 2012, 23:42
Good evening Mel,

I can't find any pictures; but could it be the 1947 built Tricolo ?? an experimental two-seat cabin monoplane designed by Alfredo Ferrer; the first indigenous Chilean aircraft?

Edit: off to be now, so Open House please in the unlikely event of it being correct

MReyn24050
27th Aug 2012, 08:58
Good Morning Trevor. :ok: The aircraft is the Triciclo Experimental , according to Jane's yearbook of the time "the first Chilean airplane design." It was designed by aeronautical engineer Senior Alfredo Davius Ferrer and built by Chilean engineers from the Central Workshops of the Chilean Air Force with local materials. The only imported component being the 100 h.p. Franklin engine.
The enclosed cabin seated two side-by-side with complete dual controls.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Airquiz13.jpg

SincoTC has requested Open House.

SincoTC
27th Aug 2012, 10:57
Thanks Mel,

I now see that a "typo" on the web page that pointed me to the answer prevented me from finding the picture evidence I wanted :ugh: I guess that's part of the fun :)

I'm going to be in and out all day, but I'll claim back my OH and post another to keep things moving and monitor as often as possible.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n540/SincoSafe/TC_wtf255.jpg

MReyn24050
27th Aug 2012, 17:18
Trevor, something from the continent of Europe perhaps?

SincoTC
27th Aug 2012, 18:04
Good evening Mel,

Yes, continental Europe is correct :ok:

Noyade
27th Aug 2012, 21:55
I had this pegged as an early Arado. Not to be...

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/566/img249izm.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/i/img249izm.jpg/)

German though?

SincoTC
27th Aug 2012, 22:00
G'day Graeme,

Sorry mate, it's not German!

Noyade
27th Aug 2012, 22:05
Roger that. Returning to base, over and out.

SincoTC
27th Aug 2012, 22:51
A clue before turning in!

It had a 16HP inline 4-cylinder engine that sounded like a military rank :)

Karlark
28th Aug 2012, 03:47
Good Morning TC - I will go with the Belgian Wielemans S.W.1.