PDA

View Full Version : All borders to reopen.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

neville_nobody
25th Jun 2021, 02:54
The reality is the borders will eventually open and when they do Covid will circulate through our country like the Flu.

Why will this happen? Why are the Premiers going to surrender any of their new gained power? They're basically running their own countries now.

dr dre
25th Jun 2021, 03:58
The lockdown you have when you're not having a lockdown.

So Gladys has finally swallowed her pride and ordered a lockdown, she just hasn’t called it a lockdown, for 4 LGAs in the east of the city even though the mass spreader birthday party was 30kms to the west in West Hoxton?

What’s the use of locking down only 4 LGAs when there’s moving and mixing all over the city?

SHVC
25th Jun 2021, 04:10
She has no need to swallow her pride, remember Avalon in January and northern beaches they were all locked down at a hefty cost of 6.8billion. As she said today her response is proportionate to the situation. If this were any other state you would all be locked up like criminals. Gladys has the perfect balance and I’m sure if tomorrow calls for it she will not hesitate to lock LGAs down.

jrfsp
25th Jun 2021, 04:45
She has no need to swallow her pride, remember Avalon in January and northern beaches they were all locked down at a hefty cost of 6.8billion. As she said today her response is proportionate to the situation. If this were any other state you would all be locked up like criminals. Gladys has the perfect balance and I’m sure if tomorrow calls for it she will not hesitate to lock LGAs down.

Are you joking, she couldn't even bring herself to say the word lockdown. If she went hard and early the economic pain and length of disruption would have been less. Yes the risk is it may turn out to be unnecessary (as was the case in Perth / Brisbane) but you pretty much guarantee avoiding the situation Syd now finds itself in.

Potsie Weber
25th Jun 2021, 05:26
With the WA government now keen to move forward with the Feds to build a 1000 bed quarantine facility in Perth, along with previous announcements from other states, you know our scared little nation won’t be shifting from a fortress elimination strategy anytime soon. Murmurs already about that mid 2022 is too soon to consider any international border changes.

No use whining about lockdowns and state border closures either, we are likely to continue to see these ongoing for next 18mths minimum.

Chris2303
25th Jun 2021, 05:57
What happened to the UK strain or the South African strain? Gone? You know it’s respiratory virus season in the Southern Hemisphere right? …It’s our turn

NZ Health authorities reported a while ago that flu was virtually unknown in NZ in the past 12 months

nomorecatering
25th Jun 2021, 06:13
The fact that it's 1 year into the crisis and we haven't had anything built for it (Open air quarantine station etc), and we only have limited supplies of vaccine is telling of our leadership. It's like Britain ordering Spitfires for the Battle of Britain and getting them in 1950. Our leaders are most certainly not Winston Churchill.

How can 2 bit countries get their vaccination act happening better than Australia which supposedly has the most advanced medical system on the planet.
Stats for vaccinations in the last 24 hrs to 25 June 2021 .https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/
China 21 Million
India 5.5 million
Turkey 951,000
Indonesia 545,000
Mexico 445,000
Pakistan 202,000
Australia 100,00 and forcast to DECREASE.

LapSap
25th Jun 2021, 06:51
With the WA government now keen to move forward with the Feds to build a 1000 bed quarantine facility in Perth, along with previous announcements from other states, you know our scared little nation won’t be shifting from a fortress elimination strategy anytime soon. Murmurs already about that mid 2022 is too soon to consider any international border changes.

No use whining about lockdowns and state border closures either, we are likely to continue to see these ongoing for next 18mths minimum.

This is my concern also. The building of large quarantine facilities in each state, seems a good idea for future pandemics that the world is no doubt likely to encounter but in the context of COVID-19 I worry that it solidifies the idea of automatic quarantine for returning travellers for years to come.
it astounds me the number of Australians now who go along with this idea. Basically “tough ****” is their response. Any chance of returning to my former job in another APAC city and travelling back and forth regularly to see family looks like never happening again in my lifetime.

Clare Prop
25th Jun 2021, 07:22
Word is they are considering sites at Perth and Jandakot airport.

dr dre
25th Jun 2021, 09:10
On one hand building dedicated dongas without connected ventilation should (almost completely) eliminate transmissions out of quarantine, which is why Howard Springs hasn’t yet had (and is unlikely to have) a breakout. Which should mostly put an end to lockdowns and interstate border closures. Which is what should’ve been done 12 months ago.

However it doesn’t bode well for international travel. Given these centres will be built post vaccine rollout it doesn’t show the government has any confidence in the program establishing a herd immunity. They’ll want to be seen as “been tough on borders” to win votes so little chance current restrictions will change even post vaccine program (whenever that will finish now) for the foreseeable future even post election.

Fuel-Off
25th Jun 2021, 09:48
Yet if Australia had an effective vaccination program, the need for these quarantine camps become redundant pretty quickly.

I chuckle at the hysterical comments asking why the flight crew bus driver wasn't vaccinated, as apparently this would would have stopped the latest outbreak in Sydney. If that's the case, open the borders to vaccinated travellers!

Even leading epidemiologists in Australia concede it will be impossible to keep the virus out on a sustained basis. They call for conversations to be had to somewhat 'prepare' the populus that covid is coming and vaccinations are our best way out. Politicians on the other hand would rather stick their fingers in their ears and bury themselves under a rock.

And your travel insurance is with?

Just a quick Google search reveals at least twenty insurance companies offering cover in the case of being infected with Covid. So even underwriters are moving on with living with this thing. Being fully vaccinated would most likely lead to me not requiring hospital treatment or even worse dying.

Which was the whole end game to begin with right?

Fuel-Off :ok:

Transition Layer
25th Jun 2021, 12:26
Yes the risk is it may turn out to be unnecessary (as was the case in Perth / Brisbane) but you pretty much guarantee avoiding the situation Syd now finds itself in.

There’s only one guaranteed outcome from a lockdown, and that is this:
Sydney’s one-week lockdown to cost the economy $310 million (https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-s-one-week-lockdown-to-cost-the-economy-310-million-20210625-p584b6.html)

SOPS
25th Jun 2021, 13:51
This is madness.. lock the whole place down!!

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/sydney-street-split-in-two-by-lockdown/news-story/31c9ad24e568ef5404437e3b7ba30cd9

ScepticalOptomist
25th Jun 2021, 21:02
Yet if Australia had an effective vaccination program, the need for these quarantine camps become redundant pretty quickly.

I chuckle at the hysterical comments asking why the flight crew bus driver wasn't vaccinated, as apparently this would would have stopped the latest outbreak in Sydney. If that's the case, open the borders to vaccinated travellers!

Even leading epidemiologists in Australia concede it will be impossible to keep the virus out on a sustained basis. They call for conversations to be had to somewhat 'prepare' the populus that covid is coming and vaccinations are our best way out. Politicians on the other hand would rather stick their fingers in their ears and bury themselves under a rock.

Just a quick Google search reveals at least twenty insurance companies offering cover in the case of being infected with Covid. So even underwriters are moving on with living with this thing. Being fully vaccinated would most likely lead to me not requiring hospital treatment or even worse dying.

Which was the whole end game to begin with right?

100% Agree - we are beyond a joke here in Oz now.

Can we put all the hysterical types with the anti-vaxxers in an area and keep them locked up while the rest of us just get on with it? :ugh:

cloudsurfng
25th Jun 2021, 22:16

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/sydney-street-split-in-two-by-lockdown/news-story/31c9ad24e568ef5404437e3b7ba30cd9

Tell me you’re from WA without telling me you’re from WA

blubak
25th Jun 2021, 22:23

Yes,hard to make sense of stuff like this.
I always thought she had done a very good job with her response to outbreaks etc but with what is happening now i think she has not acted quickly enough.
The vic govt stuffed up badly but with the 2 outbreaks we have had this year they have acted quickly & got it under control (many will disagree of course & still have the opinion we live in a dictatorship).
As i have stated previously it doesnt matter to me what side of politics they represent & this shows how quickly things can unravel.

Green.Dot
25th Jun 2021, 22:26
SOPS, stop spreading fear from the comfort of your train cab. Not helpful.

Gnadenburg
25th Jun 2021, 22:31
One size fits all quarantine?

I repatriated last month. I was fully vaccinated. I had done two government certified COVID tests prior to departure which were on a template that looked difficult to forge. I was coming from a country where COVID was under control, with weeks of "doughnut days" and then the odd minor and soon to be contained outbreak.

Then, the same band of folks I was repatriating with, vaccinated and government tested, were placed in hotel quarantine with Australians repatriating from countries where COVID is out of control and testing known to be forged.

Why? Isn't it blatantly obvious? Thankfully I was vaccinated. Protected from Australia's flawed understanding of quarantine. It is the stupidity of wokeism? We can not say a non-white country is a quarantine threat due to our haunted past. If we stated repatriates from India are high threat of both COVID and inaccurate and forgeable testing, so they can not be placed in a hotel quarantine system, breakout risk is minimalised. But instead, I was advised by Victorian nursing staff my hotel was mixed and matched with repatriating high and low risk Australians.

Going forward, there is some merit in having purpose built quarantine facilities. Though unless we can categorise without apology, countries deemed to have a serious pandemic risk, they will be either used unnecessarily or with the passing of COVID, be more needless government expenditure.

dr dre
25th Jun 2021, 22:52
Why? Isn't it blatantly obvious? Thankfully I was vaccinated. Protected from Australia's flawed understanding of quarantine. It is the stupidity of wokeism? We can not say a non-white country is a quarantine threat due to our haunted past. If we stated repatriates from India are high threat of both COVID and inaccurate and forgeable testing, so they can not be placed in a hotel quarantine system, breakout risk is minimalised. But instead, I was advised by Victorian nursing staff my hotel was mixed and matched with repatriating high and low risk Australians.

Going forward, there is some merit in having purpose built quarantine facilities. Though unless we can categorise without apology, countries deemed to have a serious pandemic risk, they will be either used unnecessarily or with the passing of COVID, be more needless government expenditure.

Returned travelers UK and the US made up the bulk of positive cases in hotel quarantine in January (https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/united-states-uk-now-make-up-the-bulk-of-new-hotel-quarantine-cases-20210107-p56shm.html) yet no specific harsh measures were applied to any of those nations. Why not? Not “wokeism”, although you claim it must be because you say as of today non-whites aren’t being treated harshly, even though we didn’t treat mostly white returned travelers from the high threat US and UK harshly at the time.

People who complain about “wokeism” are being intellectually lazy.

cloudsurfng
25th Jun 2021, 23:04
SOPS, stop spreading fear from the comfort of your train cab. Not helpful.

yes it’s like he checks the news every morning and then comes straight to prune to let everyone know how **** their lives are.

Gnadenburg
25th Jun 2021, 23:54
Dr Dre

Nice try.

If Australia could without apology, categorise a country on the basis of its COVID threat and level of confidence in testing, we could have a rigid quarantine system. India is a basket case and fraudulent testing has been an issue since last year. It has not been called out as such for political fear. Mixing up passengers from India from what could be termed green countries is the height of stupidity ( as with what happened to me ). We are not talking about harsh facilities either, we are talking of purpose built facilities a lot better than being locked up in a hotel room!

If you want to go way back to January, we had another challenge. How do we diplomatically threat categorise our closest allies without offending? Without difficulty if we have a clear threat-tiered quarantine system.

- Home Quarantine: Green Country and Vaccinated.

- Hotel Quarantine: Amber Country (?)

- Purpose Built Facility Quarantine: Red Country (?)

SHVC
26th Jun 2021, 00:20
Or, how about this for an idea, everyone get off their ass get vaccinated. If you look at the data Astra Zeneca is fine the gov just does not want to put their name to it now. But even before said issues with AZ Australians were carrying on like spastics and would rather think it’s better smoking a packet of ciggies and putting what ever else in to their body was perfectly fine but a medically certified drug it’s like no way I’m not putting that into me. We are as a nation some of the biggest idiots in the world and I’m saying that as an Aussie.

It’s time Sco Mo grew a set and started laying down some heavy ultimatums and leading us out of this abmismal mess that seems to keep continuing without an end in sight. Where else in the world are purpose built quarantine camps being constructed? No where but here the idiots we are, our cash be better spent on building new medical facility that could churn out vaccines quickly and whilst it’s being built train and certify every nurse and pharmacist to give it so a doctor does not need to be at every clinic.

Cafe City
26th Jun 2021, 00:52
The fact that it's 1 year into the crisis and we haven't had anything built for it (Open air quarantine station etc), and we only have limited supplies of vaccine is telling of our leadership. It's like Britain ordering Spitfires for the Battle of Britain and getting them in 1950. Our leaders are most certainly not Winston Churchill.

How can 2 bit countries get their vaccination act happening better than Australia which supposedly has the most advanced medical system on the planet.
Stats for vaccinations in the last 24 hrs to 25 June 2021 .https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/
China 21 Million
India 5.5 million
Turkey 951,000
Indonesia 545,000
Mexico 445,000
Pakistan 202,000
Australia 100,00 and forcast to DECREASE.

Because, like just about everything else we do now, we have to have Thinktanks, Workshops, Collaborative engagement, committees , review panels etc etc etc before we can even start to do anything.
Having watched Oz from afar for most of 25 years, the level of hand-wringing and tripping over our own feet to be so precisely correct, has created a handrail-holding, betwetting society.

Ladloy
26th Jun 2021, 01:12
Dr Dre

Nice try.

If Australia could without apology, categorise a country on the basis of its COVID threat and level of confidence in testing, we could have a rigid quarantine system. India is a basket case and fraudulent testing has been an issue since last year. It has not been called out as such for political fear. Mixing up passengers from India from what could be termed green countries is the height of stupidity ( as with what happened to me ). We are not talking about harsh facilities either, we are talking of purpose built facilities a lot better than being locked up in a hotel room!

If you want to go way back to January, we had another challenge. How do we diplomatically threat categorise our closest allies without offending? Without difficulty if we have a clear threat-tiered quarantine system.

- Home Quarantine: Green Country and Vaccinated.

- Hotel Quarantine: Amber Country (?)

- Purpose Built Facility Quarantine: Red Country (?)

Delta variant (Indian origin) in Syd came from the US. Tier system might not work.

29 cases today. 28 fortunately linked, but 12 were not in isolation.

DirectAnywhere
26th Jun 2021, 01:41
Reading between the lines of the NSW press conference, all of Sydney will be in lockdown as soon as they can organise the paperwork.

Foxxster
26th Jun 2021, 01:46
Reading between the lines of the NSW press conference, all of Sydney will be in lockdown as soon as they can organise the paperwork.

I got the impression that lockdowns will extend to a much larger area, or indeed all of Sydney and it will be done this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest.

Gnadenburg
26th Jun 2021, 01:53
Delta variant (Indian origin) in Syd came from the US. Tier system might not work.

Granted SHVC's point, everyone get vaccinated, a tier system is the only way forward if we want to slowly open up. And if it had of been used in the past better resources and intensity applied to high risk Australian repatriates.

That said, so few countries now could be termed low risk. However, be nice to open up to the Pacific Islands for vaccinated travellers. It's a start.

DirectAnywhere
26th Jun 2021, 02:17
I got the impression that lockdowns will extend to a much larger area, or indeed all of Sydney and it will be done this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest.

It seems the decision has already been made but they need to work out the logistics and the legalities around issuing a city wide lockdown. From what I’ve seen to date, that paperwork side of things seems to be what takes the longest once the decision has been made.

Foxxster
26th Jun 2021, 02:20
It seems the decision has already been made but they need to work out the logistics and the legalities around issuing a city wide lockdown. From what I’ve seen to date, that paperwork side of things seems to be what takes the longest once the decision has been made.

they are having an emergency cabinet meeting this afternoon…..

halfmoon
26th Jun 2021, 03:03
TINDERBOX....
delta variant...unvaccinated population....zero immunity in the community from past infections...not good people.
This is going to be bad.

DirectAnywhere
26th Jun 2021, 03:33
2nd NSW press conference just announced today for 2pm. Here comes the city wide lockdown. Was quicker than I thought.

cloudsurfng
26th Jun 2021, 03:41
And the rest of Australia is about to f&$led by QLD and their quarantine leak to the NT

Foxxster
26th Jun 2021, 03:58
2nd NSW press conference just announced today for 2pm. Here comes the city wide lockdown. Was quicker than I thought.
yes I have the radio on, they will be taking it live I think.

wonder for how long, I guess a week… stay tuned.

Foxxster
26th Jun 2021, 04:02

from the premier …

from 6pm all Sydney, central coast, blue mountains and Wollongong lock down until Friday 2 July but could extend until 9 July if not under control.

corrected

ok bit confused now. This report is saying it is until Friday 9 July ,

Greater Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong will enter a lockdown from 6:00pm today until 11.59pm on Friday July 9.

Earlier today, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian flagged the current lockdown, which only applies to four areas of Sydney, would have to be expanded in response to a growing COVID-19 outbreak.

The only reasons people in those areas can leave home are:

Shopping for food or other essential goods and services

Medical care or compassionate needs (including to get a COVID-19 vaccine)

Exercise outdoors in groups of 10 or fewer

Essential work, or education, where you cannot work or study from home

Ms Berejikian said weddings would be permitted to take place today and tomorrow on compassionate grounds.

However, from Monday they would not be allowed until at least July 9.

Funerals will be permitted with a maximum 100 guests (subject to the four-square-metre rule) for the duration of the lockdown.

Ms Berejiklian said there was "no point" only locking down for a few days as it wouldn't allow contact tracers to stay ahead of the virus.

"The best health advice today is that it should be for two weeks, but if there is any massive improvement ahead of that time, of course, we'll evaluate that," she said.

jrfsp
26th Jun 2021, 04:17
Restrictions for whole of NSW. Lockdown for Sydney. I bet scomo wont be heard from in the next 2 weeks.

PoppaJo
26th Jun 2021, 04:31
Seems a bit disorganised and this Heath Minister comes across as an absolute tool. Weddings good to go tonight and tomorrow folks, keep seeding that virus. Large groups can gather outdoors. Bondi will be packed.

Melbourne in and out in 3 weeks. Border is back open. Restrictions set out very clearly. Tabled and easily available for all to view and understand. People know what they can and can’t do. The Minister here could not even define what classes essential shopping? What did he say, the general public can decide what is essential?

Fools.

jrfsp
26th Jun 2021, 04:33
The press conference reminds me of VIC last year. - reactive, nervous and certainly not in control

dr dre
26th Jun 2021, 06:22
And to top it all off a worker at Tanami mine has tested positive, with almost 1000 contacts probably scattered in every corner of the country......

dr dre
26th Jun 2021, 06:44
But I’ll follow that up with some brighter news. A far more enlightened and intelligent nation to our north has announced their post vaccination plan, and it’s a good one:

"It has been 18 months since the pandemic started, and our people are battle-weary. All are asking: When and how will the pandemic end?" said the ministers.

"The bad news (https://wap.business-standard.com/current-affairs/coronavirus/news)is that COVID-19 may never go away. The good news (https://wap.business-standard.com/current-affairs/coronavirus/news)is that it is possible to live normally with it in our midst." they said.

Singapore (https://wap.business-standard.com/topic/singapore)has been taking steps to prepare for COVID-19 becoming endemic, and has ramped up its vaccination drive, amid the battle to bring down the spike in cases.

Vaccination already appears to be effective in reducing the rates of infection and transmission. Most fully vaccinated people show mild or no symptoms even if they contract the disease.

By early next month, two-thirds of the population in Singapore will have received at least one jab of the two-jab vaccines, said the ministers.

"Our next milestone will be to have at least two-thirds of our population fully vaccinated with two doses around National Day (9 August), supply permitting. We are working to bring forward the delivery of vaccines and to speed up the process," they said.

In time, people with COVID-19 will be allowed to recover at home, so there will be less concern about the healthcare system being stressed. Their close contacts can buy test kits from pharmacies to test themselves, they said.

In fact, testing will no longer be a tool for ring-fencing and quarantining people, but will be used more for screening those who want to enter office buildings, malls and schools, among other places, according to the report.

The daily updates on infection numbers will also shift to focus on outcomes, such as how many patients fall very sick and end up needing intensive care, the same way the flu is monitored. Slowly, safe management rules can be eased, and large gatherings will once again be allowed, such as at the National Day Parade or New Year's Eve countdown, it said.

Businesses will also not have to fear disruptions from lockdowns, it added.

Eventually, people will be able to travel again, with vaccination certificates in hand, to countries that have also controlled the virus and turned it into an endemic norm. They may even be exempted from quarantine with a negative test upon arrival.

"Finally, whether we can live with COVID-19 depends also on Singaporeans' acceptance that COVID-19 will be endemic and our collective behaviour... If all of us shoulder the burden together - workers keeping their colleagues safe by staying at home when ill, and employers not faulting them - our society will be so much safer," the ministers said.

"Science and human ingenuity will eventually prevail over COVID-19. Cohesion and social consciousness will get us there faster. We must all do our part," they said.

Singapore plans out transition to new normal life with Covid-19 pandemic (https://wap.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/singapore-plans-out-transition-to-new-normal-life-with-covid-19-pendemic-121062400135_1.html)

This is where mass vaccination gets you. If Australia had been truly “at the front of the queue” we could have had this announcement this week too. In conjunction with a society mature enough to act responsibly.

But at least one nation has blazed a trail to start a return to normal, and others can just copy them within time.

SHVC
26th Jun 2021, 07:22
Australians are the biggest idiots in the world tho. They don’t want the vaccination rather “wait and see”. It our own fault ppl.

blubak
26th Jun 2021, 08:33
Or, how about this for an idea, everyone get off their ass get vaccinated. If you look at the data Astra Zeneca is fine the gov just does not want to put their name to it now. But even before said issues with AZ Australians were carrying on like spastics and would rather think it’s better smoking a packet of ciggies and putting what ever else in to their body was perfectly fine but a medically certified drug it’s like no way I’m not putting that into me. We are as a nation some of the biggest idiots in the world and I’m saying that as an Aussie.

It’s time Sco Mo grew a set and started laying down some heavy ultimatums and leading us out of this abmismal mess that seems to keep continuing without an end in sight. Where else in the world are purpose built quarantine camps being constructed? No where but here the idiots we are, our cash be better spent on building new medical facility that could churn out vaccines quickly and whilst it’s being built train and certify every nurse and pharmacist to give it so a doctor does not need to be at every clinic.
Perfect!!
Yes,scomo needs to man up & stop pussy footing around,spend some money wisely & get more vaccine doses here ASAP,give up wasting time getting photos taken with anyone that makes himself look important.
And for those who wont get vaccinated,take a long hard look at yourselves & stop being so selfish.

jrfsp
26th Jun 2021, 09:25
Apparently NZ is now pausing the whole trans Tasman bubble

Angle of Attack
26th Jun 2021, 09:54
Why would’nt they? This complete disaster has been brought on by Scomo, what an incompetent fool.
Its not a race! Goddam it is a race, Australia has been left as a leper while everyone else opens up.
15 months and nothing has changed, what an embarrassing situation we are in.

Angle of Attack
26th Jun 2021, 10:04
Meanwhile we are desperately trying to mop the floor while kids with muddy shoes run continuously over it. What the hell are we trying to achieve? Zero cases? While hotel quarantine is current leaking at 2 cases a week? I have no fing idea what we are trying to achieve, Get a grip, we need an exit strategy while we lockdown with no one in hospital from this at the moment.

jrfsp
26th Jun 2021, 10:10
Meanwhile we are desperately trying to mop the floor while kids with muddy shoes run continuously over it. What the hell are we trying to achieve? Zero cases? While hotel quarantine is current leaking at 2 cases a week? I have no fing idea what we are trying to achieve, Get a grip, we need an exit strategy while we lockdown with no one in hospital from this at the moment.

there are people in hospital with covid in NSW - they didn’t have details available as to numbers or condition at the press conf

stickshaken
26th Jun 2021, 10:20
Australians are the biggest idiots in the world tho. They don’t want the vaccination rather “wait and see”. It our own fault ppl.

Can’t believe dickheads like you think,
this experimental vaccine is a vaccine.
Vaccines take many many years to prove there worth over time, that there are NO long term risks or life long side effects.

But this so called vaccine doesn’t work anyway.

Ladloy
26th Jun 2021, 11:18
Vaccines take many many years to prove there worth over time, that there are NO long term risks or life long side effects.

we already know that getting covid has long lasting effects to some people. Shortness of breaath, brain fog, heart and lung issues, permanent loss of taste and smell. Even if you take the line that it's experimental, which is incorrect, it's the lesser of the evils.

Angle of Attack
26th Jun 2021, 11:24
OK so there are a few people in hospital with COVID, they may have just been put in there as a precaution, but I guess that’s a big deal considering there are around 10000 people hospitalised in Australia at any one time. We have become a nation of Wimps, that avoid any risk at all, it’s pathetic.

Anti Skid On
26th Jun 2021, 11:50
OK so there are a few people in hospital with COVID, they may have just been put in there as a precaution, but I guess that’s a big deal considering there are around 10000 people hospitalised in Australia at any one time. We have become a nation of Wimps, that avoid any risk at all, it’s pathetic.
Nothing like being a 'wimp'. This isn't like sending your kids to chickenpox party, this is a disease that kills, that messes up all your health services, costs a lot of money (more than not having it running rife) and destroys your economy.

Those few people in the hospital with COVID are there to stop others ending up there too, not very wimpish being on a ventilator.

regional_flyer
26th Jun 2021, 11:57

I suggest you look up MRNA vaccines, which will explain to you why they were capable of producing the covid vaccinations so quickly, and why there is such confidence in their effectiveness (but we all know that you won't). Look up the difference between there/their/they're at the same time.

No Idea Either
26th Jun 2021, 12:04
AoA

i just don’t understand your logic. If the disease runs rampant and the hospitals fill up with COVID patients, what happens to the 10,000 normal every day patients. Do they all get better whilst COVID runs its course, or do they die due to lack of resources. Look at Brazil, look at India and look at the US and Italy earlier on. People dying everywhere due to a lack of beds, 1000’s per day, remember. Or is it all staged fake news (to paraphrase an idiot)??????

turbantime
26th Jun 2021, 12:17
Do explain…

mattyj
26th Jun 2021, 13:37
Oh they work alright..they work just fine..doing exactly what they’re designed to do..you just take your medicine like a good boy and shush ya mouth!

dr dre
26th Jun 2021, 14:00
Oh they work alright..they work just fine..doing exactly what they’re designed to do..you just take your medicine like a good boy and shush ya mouth!

The ironic thing is if the Australian public took that sarcastic comment seriously we’d be in a position similar to Singapore now, well on the way out of this pandemic.

Instead a hesitant public took your nonsense comments seriously and here we are.....

dr dre
26th Jun 2021, 14:05
Do explain…

They never ever will. Or they’ll post a link to a rubbish anti-vax website where “the truth” about vaccines will be “exposed” alongside articles about chemtrails, QAnon and 5G.

Anti-vaxxers posting here are just trolls, getting a kick out of winding people up who are very down at the moment.

SOPS
26th Jun 2021, 14:35
I really worry about these people who think the vaccine does not work. I wait to see any real proof. (I’m sure there is not any).

jrfsp
26th Jun 2021, 14:50
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-26/virgin-australia-flight-attendant-covid19-positive/100247100

the good news keeps coming

SHVC
26th Jun 2021, 21:35

Experimental???? Please provide your insight. As far as I’m aware all the vaccines in use in Australia have TGA approval. The reason we are in this mess is people like you thinking the vaccine has to be in development for for many yrs to be any good, news flash pal half of this vaccine was already developed and because it had the worlds money thrown at it it was able to be devolved in 12 months.

I hope you’re not one of the D!ckheads complaining about lockdowns, stand downs, loosing your job, border closure, loosing family a friend or a Neighbour to suicide because of this. You could easily get vaccinated and help get this country going again.

layman
26th Jun 2021, 22:55
Heard on radio this morning …

Family party at Hoxton Park:
* 5 who were fully vaccinated did not contact COVID
* 5 of the 10 others contracted COVID.

Very small case study but a good indicator why ‘everyone’ needs to get a vaccination.

Being vaccinated cerianly seems to reduce the risk.

blubak
26th Jun 2021, 22:58
Experimental???? Please provide your insight. As far as I’m aware all the vaccines in use in Australia have TGA approval. The reason we are in this mess is people like you thinking the vaccine has to be in development for for many yrs to be any good, news flash pal half of this vaccine was already developed and because it had the worlds money thrown at it it was able to be devolved in 12 months.

I hope you’re not one of the D!ckheads complaining about lockdowns, stand downs, loosing your job, border closure, loosing family a friend or a Neighbour to suicide because of this. You could easily get vaccinated and help get this country going again.
It would be interesting to find out what the qualifications are of these people who constantly question the development & effectiveness of the vaccine & also many other things such as the wearing of face masks etc.
Talking about dickheads complaining,i was at a local footy match yesterday & behind me were 2 women telling everyone around them how their business was so badly affected by lockdown & how they got no govt assistance yet in the next breath 1 of them said how ridiculous it was having to wear a mask & no one was going to make her wear 1 & then the other woman told me she wouldnt be getting the jab as it was her right not to.
Idiots like these 2 is what we are up against.

ruprecht
26th Jun 2021, 23:04
Heard on radio this morning …

Family party at Hoxton Park:
* 5 who were fully vaccinated did not contact COVID
* 5 of the 10 others contracted COVID.

Very small case study but a good indicator why ‘everyone’ needs to get a vaccination.

Being vaccinated cerianly seems to reduce the risk.

Plus their 5G reception is excellent.

I’m growing weary of the vaccination ‘debate’ in this country. Maybe we need a new government slogan:

”Get vaccinated, you f*cking retard”

Foxxster
26th Jun 2021, 23:05
I really don’t know why we are having this Sydney wide and even wider, central coast, blue mountains and Wollongong lockdown. According to some demographer people in Sydney don’t move outside their immediate area because of rivers and harbours etc. Maybe the health experts should have spoken to him first and we could have avoided all this.

hotnhigh
26th Jun 2021, 23:38
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/the-netherlands-reopens-to-us-travelers-with-no-restrictions.html
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-tourists-can-now-travel-to-italy-without-quarantining

Stick with it Australia your plan is going well. You should be able travel again in 2056.

FFS, people need to wake up and research wtf is happening outside the political/media cocoon we now find ourselves in.

SHVC
26th Jun 2021, 23:40
That does make sense, however the greater issue is the other states closing off to SY and like SA and WA to the whole state. Wish Sco Mo would do an election now he has lost my vote the race he said wasn’t a race was actually a race and he lost big time.

ruprecht
27th Jun 2021, 00:05
That does make sense, however the greater issue is the other states closing off to SY and like SA and WA to the whole state. Wish Sco Mo would do an election now he has lost my vote the race he said wasn’t a race was actually a race and he lost big time.

The announcement of the election date will coincide with the extra Pfizer vaccines arriving later this year, and the narrative will be how “we have kept Australia safe”, and now “it’s time to consider opening up”. The ALP will not be able to argue against this because they will be painted as either “killing grandma”, or “killing business”.

mattyj
27th Jun 2021, 01:04
It’s pretty simple; the spike protein in the virus causes much of the ill effects of the virus..the spike protein is also in all the mRNA vaccines. Take them if you feel you should, your body your choice. There’s a definite risk reward calculation that has age and illnesses in the formula.

the data I’m reading is that young men are definitely not advised to get one of the mRNA vaccines.

27th Jun 2021, 01:13

Did you also believe the “we just need 14 days to flatten then curve” narrative, or the we only collect sign in data for public health contact tracing and all records are deleted after 28days, not shared with amazon, google or law enforcement.

As long as this hysterical response continues from public health experts 100% vaccinated population or not the tyrannical restrictions will remain.
the current vaccine treatment is for a variant that no longer exists.

SHVC
27th Jun 2021, 01:34
No I did not and To be honest I’ll admit, I’m all for let it go and take its course, 14 days these other BS 3 hard quick sharp snap lockdowns or what ever they want to call them is crap. From start till now the states and feds could have built easily almost 50 hospitals as major ICU centers trained 1000s of staff even could pay these staff 20% above award wage to attract them and we would still be financially better off.

We would be where most of the world are now, but, no we are and will have for yrs to come have constantly closing internal borders treating each other like criminals in our own country whilst the world will most definitely have moved on. Time ppl realized what we are seeing now will continue well past 2023 maybe we’ll beyond 2024, you’re delusional if you think you’re back at work in next few yrs as an international pilot.

As pilots we should be deeply concerned because QF reserves will run out soon enough when their stake holders decide it’s pushing sh!t up a bill because Australia can’t get their act together. I will be sureprised Australia has any kind of international carrier wether QF, JQ or VA.

Potsie Weber
27th Jun 2021, 01:42
It’s pretty simple; the spike protein in the virus causes much of the ill effects of the virus..the spike protein is also in all the mRNA vaccines. Take them if you feel you should, your body your choice. There’s a definite risk reward calculation that has age and illnesses in the formula.

the data I’m reading is that young men are definitely not advised to get one of the mRNA vaccines.

Wrong! There is no spike protein in the vaccines.

27th Jun 2021, 01:48
SHVC Agreed. I’d rather see the frustration directed to the inept performance of the health experts and politicians. These lockdowns and restrictions will never cease as the virus continues to mutate. Apportioning blame then placing the spotlight on a individual driver for spreading a virus whilst transporting aircrew Is total bull****.

PoppaJo
27th Jun 2021, 02:05
Darwin falling over now. 3 days from 1pm. Gunner not guaranteeing that’s the end point either.

Foxxster
27th Jun 2021, 02:40
The Pfizer vaccine has caused some heart issues in Israel. In young people. Waiting for that to get into the mainstream media like the AstraZeneca bloodclots. Yes the incidence is small for the heart issues but so is the blood clots incidence.

SHVC
27th Jun 2021, 02:55
Well Scotty better step up and announce a JK 3.0 now. NSW is blocked in all states WA will announce NT blocked in next few minutes leaving little for tourism to survive here.

Keg
27th Jun 2021, 03:13
It’s been announced already. Payments of $500 (more than 20 hours per week) or $325 a week (less than 20 hours) if you have less than $10K of ‘liquid assets’ and can’t work. It was announced when Victoria went into lockdown last month. Only applies I think after the first week.

mattyj
27th Jun 2021, 03:38
Wrong! There is no spike protein in the vaccines.

geez talk about splitting hairs..okay you win..the vaccines contain the genetic code that enables our cells to produce the spike protein

PoppaJo
27th Jun 2021, 04:09
Well Scotty better step up and announce a JK 3.0 now. NSW is blocked in all states WA will announce NT blocked in next few minutes leaving little for tourism to survive here.
Spoke too soon.

WA- restrictions just now introduced case discovered and active in the community for last week.

SA press conference at 3.

It won’t be long until Melbourne to Mildura is the nations number 1 route!

Chronic Snoozer
27th Jun 2021, 04:47
Spoke too soon.

WA- restrictions just now introduced case discovered and active in the community for last week.

SA press conference at 3.

It won’t be long until Melbourne to Mildura is the nations number 1 route!

Go Tassie!

jrfsp
27th Jun 2021, 05:01
This is the worst situation since the national lockdown last year. Aviation will basically be at a stand still for a month at least.

Wheres Slowmo? Too occupied on ancestry.com

Potsie Weber
27th Jun 2021, 05:02
geez talk about splitting hairs..okay you win..the vaccines contain the genetic code that enables our cells to produce the spike protein

And keep going, have a look at the difference between spike protein produced through vaccination versus infection, there are significant differences.

This virus isn’t going anywhere, it will circulate the globe forever. Elimination is not possible. At some point you will be exposed to the virus and the only difference will be whether you have been vaccinated or not. To me, the risk of side effects from the vaccine far outweighs the risks to health from being exposed unvaccinated.

mattyj
27th Jun 2021, 05:17
The spike protein in the vaccine doesn’t remain in the cell that produces it but breaks off and circulates so it’s potentially worse

LapSap
27th Jun 2021, 05:35

I sincerely hope you do not hold an ATPL.
If you do, please go and burn it- I don't want to see you operating heavy machinery with such a lack of cognitive skill.

dr dre
27th Jun 2021, 05:57
The spike protein in the vaccine doesn’t remain in the cell that produces it but breaks off and circulates so it’s potentially worse

I think most people can sense you’re full of it, but if anyone wants a scientific debunking of that rubbish:

‘Toxic’ spike protein claims misinterpret vaccine study (https://www.aap.com.au/toxic-spike-protein-claims-misinterpret-vaccine-study/)

Now stop posting that nonsense, there’s more serious and relevant issues that should be discussed on this thread than that tripe.

blubak
27th Jun 2021, 06:49
This is the worst situation since the national lockdown last year. Aviation will basically be at a stand still for a month at least.

Wheres Slowmo? Too occupied on ancestry.com
Gladys is into him now about the lack of vaccinations available. How long is he going to hide for.
With her venting her frustration now its time he forgets about his photo opportunities & sorts this mess out..

Cafe City
27th Jun 2021, 06:57
While much has been spoken about the increased communicability of some of the latest variants, I have not heard any of the CHOs mention to what extent the reported positive cases are suffering in terms of health outcomes or treatment response.
I am not of course expecting them to give details of individual cases but in the early days of the pandemic in Europe, we saw graphic footage of people literally gasping their last breaths and doctors being able to do little about it.
So for the current crop of positive cases in Australia, how sick in general are these people? Are the majority showing nothing worse than what would have put them on sick leave from work for a few days 2 years ago? Or are they all in hospital under constant attention with life-threatening symptoms?
I ask the question because I genuinely have not heard or read of what has happened to the vast majority who were positive over the past few months.
Also the seeming lack of people who have or are aware they have debilitating symptoms even though they have been in contact with these positive cases does not seem to add up. (I don't mean that in a conspiratorial manner - just an observation)
Can anybody enlighten me??

turbantime
27th Jun 2021, 07:20
The Pfizer vaccine has caused some heart issues in Israel. In young people. Waiting for that to get into the mainstream media like the AstraZeneca bloodclots. Yes the incidence is small for the heart issues but so is the blood clots incidence.
And all have recovered after some mild symptoms.

chookcooker
27th Jun 2021, 08:16
To me, the risk of side effects from the vaccine far outweighs the risks to health from being exposed unvaccinated.

then you’re an idiot.

tangwang
27th Jun 2021, 08:30
While much has been spoken about the increased communicability of some of the latest variants, I have not heard any of the CHOs mention to what extent the reported positive cases are suffering in terms of health outcomes or treatment response.
I am not of course expecting them to give details of individual cases but in the early days of the pandemic in Europe, we saw graphic footage of people literally gasping their last breaths and doctors being able to do little about it.
So for the current crop of positive cases in Australia, how sick in general are these people? Are the majority showing nothing worse than what would have put them on sick leave from work for a few days 2 years ago? Or are they all in hospital under constant attention with life-threatening symptoms?
I ask the question because I genuinely have not heard or read of what has happened to the vast majority who were positive over the past few months.
Also the seeming lack of people who have or are aware they have debilitating symptoms even though they have been in contact with these positive cases does not seem to add up. (I don't mean that in a conspiratorial manner - just an observation)
Can anybody enlighten me??

I have the same question in mind, I did some online search as well can’t find any useful information. There are some new cases in south China, the medical experts in an interview mentioned only a few cases needed to be sent to ICU and all getting better. It seems the variant is more contagious but less lethal, just the government only want to mention the contagious part but ignore the other part. Correct me if anyone has more information.

Foxxster
27th Jun 2021, 08:35
And all have recovered after some mild symptoms.
300 having to be hospitalised. I wouldn’t call that mild symptoms. You don’t get admitted to hospital for mild symptoms. And fully recovered. We won’t know the full impact until they die. It might take a few years off their lives ..who knows.

this relates to 7 boys in the US, which are in addition to the hundreds in Israel

Two to six days in hospital..6 days sounds quite serious. Even two days now is a lot. Now doing pretty well. Wow that sounds encouraging. Not fully recovered…. And only likely heart changes were temporary. But we don’t really know…,

The boys, aged 14 to 19, received Pfizer shots in April or May and developed chest pain within a few days. Heart imaging tests showed a type of heart muscle inflammation called myocarditis.

None were critically ill. All were healthy enough to be sent home after two to six days in the hospital and are doing “doing pretty well,” said Dr. Preeti Jaggi, an Emory University infectious disease specialist who co-authored the report.

She said more follow-up is needed to determine how the seven fare but that it’s likely the heart changes were temporary.

Potsie Weber
27th Jun 2021, 09:03
then you’re an idiot.

My bad writing, I mean I’d much rather take the risk of side effects from vaccine than the risk to health of COVID.

PoppaJo
27th Jun 2021, 09:27
We are nearly at a standstill folks. McGowan now putting up the border.

Won’t be much left by tomorrow it seems. Perhaps Melbourne and Adelaide to Tasmania and that’s it. Brisbane to Cairns and below. Melbourne to Mildura.

Alan is going to need some more cash fairly soon.

dr dre
27th Jun 2021, 09:42
Alan is going to need some more cash fairly soon.

I’d say it’d be John S at this point in time.....

Having said that I watched the presser, I thought McG was going to throw up a full hard border to everywhere so the fact he’s keeping it in proportion is a more welcome sign than 2020, I reckon the situation in all states bar NSW doesn’t look too concerning at the moment, I’d just say it’s up to Gladys to get NSW’s act together. I would say around a month of disruption out of this.

Also there was an important statement, despite some doom mongers saying this will go on forever, he did say in the presser that once a “large majority” is vaccinated then they can avoid lockdowns/restrictions.

Just need to ignore the anti-vaxxers

Going Nowhere
27th Jun 2021, 09:52
and the bed wetting continues...

masks needed while walking into Suncorp but you can take them off once you sit down 🤦‍♂️

Because you can’t catch Covid while sitting down and cheering

volare_737
27th Jun 2021, 10:12
If I hear "Its been based on health advise" by one of our politicians once more I am gona puke !!!

Angle of Attack
27th Jun 2021, 10:37
Better get the vomit bag because this crap will be repeated for the next few years lol.

Angle of Attack
27th Jun 2021, 10:42
This is about to explode, I’m not a doctor but blind Freddy says it’s pretty obvious, Adelaide is the last fortress but they will be infiltrated in the next few days. When every state has outbreaks should they close to each other? This pathetic goal of zero cases is like mopping a floor while muddy shoed kids keep running over it. What is the endgame? What is the exit strategy? Oh yeah that’s Scomo, a completely useless idiot that has no idea, only got the job by stabbing a colleague in the back.

Foxxster
27th Jun 2021, 11:33
Yes. This Indian variant seems to have spattered wider than a vindaloo squirt.

galdian
27th Jun 2021, 11:50
This is about to explode, I’m not a doctor but blind Freddy says it’s pretty obvious, Adelaide is the last fortress but they will be infiltrated in the next few days. When every state has outbreaks should they close to each other? This pathetic goal of zero cases is like mopping a floor while muddy shoed kids keep running over it. What is the endgame? What is the exit strategy? Oh yeah that’s Scomo, a completely useless idiot that has no idea, only got the job by stabbing a colleague in the back.

ScoMo is dropping the ball on so many issues unless he starts to reform immediately by becoming proactive rather than reactive he will loose the next election - and deservedly so unless he gets his **** together.
It's becoming less cynical to suggest his focus is solely on the timing of the next election, mundane issues such as Covid of no pressing importance....apparently.

SOPS
27th Jun 2021, 12:30
Gladys should have gone early on lockdown.

KAPAC
27th Jun 2021, 15:50
Well until they make a gluten free , vegan , almond milk vaccine . One that is approved by every holistic medical organisation on the planet oh , better be low calorie also . We just have to get used to closed borders at short notice .

mattyj
27th Jun 2021, 19:47
It’s cold and flu season..lockdowns and masking have achieved no noticeable success in stopping the spread anywhere in the world. The virus spreads indoors mostly..quarantine facilities are leaky everywhere they’re in use. Every country gets its turn

Chris2303
27th Jun 2021, 21:07
It’s cold and flu season..lockdowns and masking have achieved no noticeable success in stopping the spread anywhere in the world. The virus spreads indoors mostly..quarantine facilities are leaky everywhere they’re in use. Every country gets its turn

Funny how there has been very little influenza in NZ over the past 12 months

blubak
27th Jun 2021, 22:07
My bad writing, I mean I’d much rather take the risk of side effects from vaccine than the risk to health of COVID.
Here,here.
The nay sayers can put any anti vax spin out there but 1 wonders if they have also refused all medication throughout their life on the basis of being developed too quickly or not knowing side effects.
Every script box you get from the chemist has possible side effects listed but i dont see protests & media hype about them.

blubak
27th Jun 2021, 22:11
Gladys should have gone early on lockdown.
Yes she should but as you know many will say the opposite.
Governments are dammed if they do & dammed if they dont.

blubak
27th Jun 2021, 22:14
If I hear "Its been based on health advise" by one of our politicians once more I am gona puke !!!
Fair comment but in your opinion,what advice should be used?
I am not saying i disagree with you but interested to hear your thoughts.

SHVC
27th Jun 2021, 22:41
I wish the gov would stop comparing us to the UK, 18,000 cases yesterday I can’t recall the deaths but well under 100. Those are pretty good odds to me given their size.

chookcooker
27th Jun 2021, 22:58
I wish the gov would stop comparing us to the UK, 18,000 cases yesterday I can’t recall the deaths but well under 100. Those are pretty good odds to me given their size.

11 deaths yesterday in the Uk although they’re a lagging indicator.
start on June they were approx 6,000 cases a day

minigundiplomat
27th Jun 2021, 23:19
The UK also has no idea how many people are in the country which makes calculating herd immunity hard. They originally thought they had 3.9m EU citizens permanently residing in the country only to find its closer to 6m.

Amongst the communities being hit by the delta variant are huge swathes of people not on any database and probably not getting jabbed in case they appear on the immigration radar.

Foxxster
27th Jun 2021, 23:30
Funny how there has been very little influenza in NZ over the past 12 months

flu is imported. Close international borders, no flu.

No Idea Either
28th Jun 2021, 00:42

that’s the vaccine in action and a health care system that has now learnt a lot about COVID👍👍

turbantime
28th Jun 2021, 01:32
Someone above already provided some info around this but in the latest presser it was advised that 30 people attended the West Hoxton birthday party. 24 that were infected were not vaccinated. 5 were health workers who were fully vaccinated and they did not test positive. 1 more is a aged care worker who received their first dose and has also not contracted it.

Ascend Charlie
28th Jun 2021, 01:59
Just been to my Coles in Sunny Coast, the panic has started already, toilet paper shelves empty and being restocked, folks loading up on cereal, frozen food and mincemeat. Crazy.

jrfsp
28th Jun 2021, 02:06
Just been to my Coles in Sunny Coast, the panic has started already, toilet paper shelves empty and being restocked, folks loading up on cereal, frozen food and mincemeat. Crazy.

I dont know why they dont shut all supermarkets until the lockdowns start. People panic buying should be tasered on entry.

WingNut60
28th Jun 2021, 02:19
Don't criticise. Those people are sh...tting themselves.
They need the paper.

ruprecht
28th Jun 2021, 02:22
People panic buying should be tasered on entry.
You’ve got my vote.

SHVC
28th Jun 2021, 02:26
The vaccine works Hazzard gave the example today as mentioned above.

ruprecht
28th Jun 2021, 02:55
It is early days and this is only a small sample but it is highly encouraging.

ruprecht
28th Jun 2021, 03:01
It is early days and this is only a small sample but this is highly encouraging.

Ladloy
28th Jun 2021, 03:03
Sydney T2 on the list of exposure sites. A good 5 hours too

compressor stall
28th Jun 2021, 03:07

Latest data from the UK NHS showing similar.Studies have now reported on vaccine effectiveness against infection in healthcare workers, care home residents and the general population. With the Pfizer-BioNTech, estimates of effectiveness against infection range from around 55 to 70%, with the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine they range from around 60 to 70% (5, 12, 13, 14). Estimates for 2 doses are currently only available for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and indicate effectiveness against infection of 70 to 90% (5,12).
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/996565/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_25.pdf

Chris2303
28th Jun 2021, 05:32
flu is imported. Close international borders, no flu.

The same can be said of Covid

Anti Skid On
28th Jun 2021, 06:17
From start till now the states and feds could have built easily almost 50 hospitals as major ICU centers trained 1000s of staff even could pay these staff 20% above award wage to attract them and we would still be financially better off.

Sorry, you're wrong. With 40 hours you can get a PPL; would you let a PPL look after passengers on a commercial aircraft?

50 hospitals = about 500 ICU ventilated beds. Each patient needs one to one nursing care = 21 nursing shifts (at 8 hours per shift) = 4.2 nurses per patient. So that 2100 experienced ICU nurses who are competent at managing a patient on a ventialtor.

To become an ICU nurse you have a three year degree, then gain more clinical experience and develop your skills to manage the case - a bit like doing your PPL, then a multi engine rating, getting sufficient hours before advancing to a commercial licence, IR, etc....

Add to that you need 24/7 anesthetist/intesivist cover, so that's 5 years basic medical training, plus another 5 years specialist training. Physio's, lab staff, pharmacy staff, etc.

The UK example of how not to manage a pandemic is something you don't want.

ScepticalOptomist
28th Jun 2021, 06:45
11 deaths yesterday in the Uk although they’re a lagging indicator.
start on June they were approx 6,000 cases a day

11 deaths a day?

In Australia, THIS YEAR - 2021, we have averaged over 30 deaths per week, which is lower than average…………….from influenza/pneumonia.

Glad we’re shutting borders down for a handful of CASES, let alone deaths.

Ludicrous.

Keg
28th Jun 2021, 06:55
There is a LOT of good news about both the vaccinations and the Delta variant.

The Party cluster is an early indicator that the vaccine appears to be pretty good at stopping infection. Sure, there is a bit of water to go under the bridge on this yet but early signs are good.

This is supported by what is happening in the UK (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/996740/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing_17.pdf). Despite cases surging the death rate remains incredibly low- 10 to 20 times less deadly than previous variants.

So if we can get Australia vaccinated by Christmas and a less deadly variant we may find ourselves coming out of this lock down insanity much more quickly than is currently foreseen.

Chronic Snoozer
28th Jun 2021, 07:04
So if we can get Australia vaccinated by Christmas and a less deadly variant we may find ourselves coming out of this lock down insanity much more quickly than is currently foreseen.

As long as we can convince our CHO/CMO's.........

Precautionary Restrictions in SA (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-28/sa-social-distancing-restrictions-amid-coronavirus-threat/100248838)

3Greens
28th Jun 2021, 08:16
It is early days and this is only a small sample but this is highly encouraging.

Early days? Are you aware there are countries that have fully vaccinated 75% of their populations now? The real world data seems to back up the trial results, which is very encouraging yes.
I think Oz and NZ did part 1 very very well In controlling the early pandemic, whilst USA, UK etc did very badly. Part 2 however is the total opposite. The vaccine rollout in USA, Europe and the U.K. is going very well and we are largely on our way out of it now with very good vaccine take up.

Keg
28th Jun 2021, 08:30
As long as we can convince our CHO/CMO's.........

Precautionary Restrictions in SA (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-28/sa-social-distancing-restrictions-amid-coronavirus-threat/100248838)

If the data trends in other countries continue as they have in the last month or so then the groundswell of public opinion in Australia is going to turn against lock downs- particularly when Aussies see the rest of the world with their freedom and ours not being given back.

The turning point? When more than 50-60% of the population is vaccinated and the CHOs still insist on using lock downs as Covid mitigation. I think we’re going to hit that vaccination target in perhaps October/ November.

SHVC
28th Jun 2021, 09:22
Sorry, you're wrong. With 40 hours you can get a PPL; would you let a PPL look after passengers on a commercial aircraft?

50 hospitals = about 500 ICU ventilated beds. Each patient needs one to one nursing care = 21 nursing shifts (at 8 hours per shift) = 4.2 nurses per patient. So that 2100 experienced ICU nurses who are competent at managing a patient on a ventialtor.

To become an ICU nurse you have a three year degree, then gain more clinical experience and develop your skills to manage the case - a bit like doing your PPL, then a multi engine rating, getting sufficient hours before advancing to a commercial licence, IR, etc....

Add to that you need 24/7 anesthetist/intesivist cover, so that's 5 years basic medical training, plus another 5 years specialist training. Physio's, lab staff, pharmacy staff, etc.

The UK example of how not to manage a pandemic is something you don't want.

Yes i agree, this was a post on the fly but the intention of it was Australia tax payers dollars would be far better spent on building infrastructure that would get us to normal, not keep us dealing with daily cases. Billions spent on camps is ludicrous.

ruprecht
28th Jun 2021, 09:46
If the data trends in other countries continue as they have in the last month or so then the groundswell of public opinion in Australia is going to turn against lock downs- particularly when Aussies see the rest of the world with their freedom and ours not being given back.

The turning point? When more than 50-60% of the population is vaccinated and the CHOs still insist on using lock downs as Covid mitigation. I think we’re going to hit that vaccination target in perhaps October/ November.

I reckon it will start to happen when we hit 40-50%. At my secondary employment, the lockdown is treated as almost an annoyance by those of us who are fully vaccinated. Once we get to approx 40% the voices will get louder and start to influence policy.

jrfsp
28th Jun 2021, 11:48
Well the PMs comments tonight gave the strongest indication yet that the border wont be opening anytime soon and that he is not going to accept any level of death.

These quarantine centre's are being built for the long haul.

SOPS
28th Jun 2021, 11:53
Mark McGowan about to give a press conference. Standby for possible lock down. ( that’s just my guess.) Hope I’m wrong.
Well I was wrong

jrfsp
28th Jun 2021, 12:32
Mark McGowan about to give a press conference. Standby for possible lock down. ( that’s just my guess.) Hope I’m wrong.
Well I was wrong

He's been very trigger happy in the past but i think going hard and fast is the right thing to do in this case.

SOPS
28th Jun 2021, 12:49
He's been very trigger happy in the past but i think going hard and fast is the right thing to do in this case..

So do I. We don’t need another NSW. I just want my second AZ.

jrfsp
28th Jun 2021, 12:57
We've now got 30% of the population under lockdown...how much worse can this get.

morno
28th Jun 2021, 13:00
We've now got 30% of the population under lockdown...how much worse can this get.

31%? 32%? It’s fecking ridiculous I know that

ruprecht
28th Jun 2021, 13:02
Just remember, it’s not a race... :ugh:

SOPS
28th Jun 2021, 13:03
31%? 32%? It’s fecking ridiculous I know that

What’s your plan?

dr dre
28th Jun 2021, 13:24
Front of the queue...:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/943x703/dde64770_7bec_438d_bd91_23a360baece8_3fcf2a0926b1fe7897d1b67 424fb6cd0c87a4760.jpeg

Chronic Snoozer
28th Jun 2021, 13:28
Front of the queue...:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/943x703/dde64770_7bec_438d_bd91_23a360baece8_3fcf2a0926b1fe7897d1b67 424fb6cd0c87a4760.jpeg
FFS is there nothing NZ isn't better at than Australia? I even enjoy Wellington Paranormal.

morno
28th Jun 2021, 21:49
What’s your plan?

For what? Opening up the country?

Offer the vaccine to everyone, give a hard date to be vaccinated, then open up and stop giving a **** about 2 cases. Those who choose not to be vaccinated will just have to accept they run the risk of getting sick.

Australopithecus
28th Jun 2021, 21:56
I agree, Morno. The zero cases strategy was laudable while we were waiting for a vaccine, but time is running out on that. They should set an aggressive goal, adopt a hard date, make vaccinations mandatory. Then open it up. And find some creative economic penalty for closed borders.

John Eacott
28th Jun 2021, 22:11
FFS is there nothing NZ isn't better at than Australia? I even enjoy Wellington Paranormal.

There's a significant difference in vaccinations given and being fully vaccinated: being at the end of the supply chain and initially limited to mainly AZ jabs with a 12 week gap between the two, we stood little chance of matching countries who (understandably) kept the production for themselves. I'm among a significant number who will be getting their 12 week booster this weekend, and I suspect that the fully vaccinated figures will then boost noticeably.

Apathy and outright agitation against vaccination doesn't help: I can't help but remember everyone (yes, everyone) getting vaccinated against polio, the scourge which has virtually disappeared.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1117/27th_june_vax_numbers_ce8914e9bf06e8b1a0f9676a8fc5b0094b1ff8 17.jpg

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/australias-covid-19-vaccine-rollout

DirectAnywhere
28th Jun 2021, 22:13
What’s your plan?

Declare a state of emergency, requisition all the manpower, equipment, materials and temporary structures you can find. Get army engineers to manage the immediate construction of quarantine facilities on federally owned land near a major capital city. I hate the use of this term, but we should be on a "war-like" footing when it comes to the establishment of remote quarantine.

All returning travellers either go there or similar "Howard Springs-style" facilities.

The only people in "hotel" quarantine are international flight crew. No-one deals with them in any way who is not vaccinated and subject to daily PCR testing. Requisition airport hotels within walking distance of the terminal where they're available. No need for drivers, no public contact, nothing.

Frankly, given our recent experiences, the next "leak" is already brewing in a hotel somewhere. We are suffering a breach roughly every 7-10 days. This cannot go on.

It's going to be expensive, but not as expensive as the current disaster. I'll happily pay a temporary levy for 12 months as I need to be working to pay such a levy, something that is looking increasingly unlikely, again.

Global Aviator
28th Jun 2021, 22:36
And just like that AZ is now ‘safe’ and available to all, well with further government indemnities.

If this week doesn’t give the vaccinations Australia wide a kick in the arse then nothing will.

Vaccination is the only way.

VH-ABC
28th Jun 2021, 22:38
I note the second jab of Astra is now recommended between 4 and 12 weeks after the first one. This seems a big change that hasn’t been well advertised.

mattyj
28th Jun 2021, 22:47
Apathy and outright agitation against vaccination doesn't help: I can't help but remember everyone (yes, everyone) getting vaccinated against polio, the scourge which has virtually disappeared.

I remember all the doctors saying that thalidomide was the best thing for treating morning sickness

SOPS
28th Jun 2021, 22:51
Declare a state of emergency, requisition all the manpower, equipment, materials and temporary structures you can find. Get army engineers to manage the immediate construction of quarantine facilities on federally owned land near a major capital city. I hate the use of this term, but we should be on a "war-like" footing when it comes to the establishment of remote quarantine.

All returning travellers either go there or similar "Howard Springs-style" facilities.

The only people in "hotel" quarantine are international flight crew. No-one deals with them in any way who is not vaccinated and subject to daily PCR testing. Requisition airport hotels within walking distance of the terminal where they're available. No need for drivers, no public contact, nothing.

Frankly, given our recent experiences, the next "leak" is already brewing in a hotel somewhere. We are suffering a breach roughly every 7-10 days. This cannot go on.

It's going to be expensive, but not as expensive as the current disaster. I'll happily pay a temporary levy for 12 months as I need to be working to pay such a levy, something that is looking increasingly unlikely, again.

I love that plan!!!!

Foxxster
28th Jun 2021, 23:16
I remember all the doctors saying that thalidomide was the best thing for treating morning sickness
they also recommended smoking.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/blowing-smoke-vintage-ads-of-doctors-endorsing-tobacco/

Gnadenburg
28th Jun 2021, 23:18
Having been through the quarantine system, Direct Anywhere's plan looks panicked and overdone.

I don't disagree with purpose built quarantine facilities where appropriate. However, one size fits all is not only unnecessary, it still mixes high-risk returning Australians with those who are frankly no-risk. This approach is one of the many holes in the fumbly and overdone bureaucratic health quarantine process. It lacks common sense.

Why don't you break the issue of returning travellers down as you would as a pilot? Risk management and TEM principles. A single approach to every country ( except NZ ) will see this crisis having no way out. We have learn't nothing.

How many nurses who test returned travellers in their hotel rooms have caught COVID? They are vaccinated and wear hazmat equipment.

Has COVID leaked in quarantine facilities where you have openable windows and access to balconies?

Once again, Israel will give a good idea where we will be in six months plus with Delta. At a glance I think we will be burdened by the unvaccinated.

dr dre
28th Jun 2021, 23:23

I remember a time when aeroplanes were rickety contraptions made of fabric and wood which were prone to crashing very often. As the design, testing, manufacture and certification of aircraft has never changed since then that’s why aeroplanes in 2021 are still only rickety contraptions made of fabric and wood which are very unsafe to board....... /s

Lead Balloon
28th Jun 2021, 23:26

Why would Australia do any of that? The economic numbers are great!

The lesson to be learnt from the pandemic is that Australia should continue to randomly lock down capital cities, randomly close interstate borders and keep the international borders closed to travellers. That, and continue to rack up trillions in debt. It's good for the economy.

(Methinks Australia is nearing the end of the beginning of the fight against this pandemic. The beginning will have ended once the amateur hour quarantine arrangements have ended - something that should have happened over a year ago.)

Foxxster
28th Jun 2021, 23:28
Meanwhile, regarding the AstraZeneca vaccine…..i bet there are some serious negotiations going on now. We must hope they are successful.

Officials involved in talks about the potential US UK travel corridor said they thought it was increasingly unlikely they would reach a conclusion by the end of July, the Financial Times reported on Monday.

The officials added that the rise in cases of the Delta variant in the UK and the complexities of the U.S. political system were set to extend the talks into August and even September, the newspaper said.

The matter is further complicated by the fact that the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine has yet to be approved in the US.

This could mean that Britons who have been jabbed with the vaccine could be barred from entering the US until it is approved - a process which could take several months.

One UK diplomat told the FT: 'AstraZeneca is proving a real problem. If the US doesn't recognise it, it means millions of Brits won't be eligible to travel if we agree to a new corridor.'

Cirressna
29th Jun 2021, 00:40
Declare a state of emergency, requisition all the manpower, equipment, materials and temporary structures you can find. Get army engineers to manage the immediate construction of temporary vaccine facilities on federally owned land in all regions. I hate the use of this term, but we should be on a "war-like" footing when it comes to the establishment of getting everyone vaccinated.

All returning travellers must be vaccinated and can quarantine at home, if possible, until we hit 70%-80%

The only people in "hotel" quarantine are vaccinated international flight crew and people that don't have a safe place to quarantine. They get dealt with like human beings, not criminals. Requisition airport hotels within walking distance of the terminal where they're available.

Frankly, given our recent experiences, the next "leak" is already brewing in a hotel somewhere. We are suffering a breach roughly every 7-10 days. These lockdowns cannot go on.

It's going to be expensive, but not as expensive as building huge facilities that will be redundant in 6-12 months. I'll happily not pay a temporary levy for 12 months as if everyone is vaccinated we don't need to waste more money.

Fixed it for you.

John Eacott
29th Jun 2021, 00:46
Princess Anna has delayed her daily address a few hours: expect her to announce at 11am (15 minutes away) a 3 day lockdown and hard border closure.

Off to the shops for bread and milk before the locusts clean the shelves :p

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 00:49
Princess Anna has delayed her daily address a few hours: expect her to announce at 11am (15 minutes away) a 3 day lockdown and hard border closure.

Off to the shops for bread and milk before the locusts clean the shelves :p
clear the cupboard first. Or maybe the garage, need plenty of space for that pallet of toilet paper.

Lead Balloon
29th Jun 2021, 00:50
Why would the facilities be "redundant" in 6 - 12 months, Cirressna? The Biosecurity Act is there for a reason, and the potential biosecurity risks and their (disastrous) consequences are easily foreseeable. Which is why there is a Biosecurity Act.

The costs of establishing and maintaining proper quarantine facilities in 'standby mode' prior to this pandemic would have been chump change compared to the costs - and I mean real costs - of the lockdowns and interstate border closures.

ruprecht
29th Jun 2021, 00:56
The costs of establishing and maintaining proper quarantine facilities in 'standby mode' prior to this pandemic would have been chump change compared to the costs - and I mean real costs - of the lockdowns and interstate border closures.

The site would have lain dormant and been sold to developers years ago.

PoppaJo
29th Jun 2021, 01:31
Princess Anna has delayed her daily address a few hours: expect her to announce at 11am (15 minutes away) a six day lockdown and hard border closure.

Off to the shops before the locusts clean the shelves :p
SEQ by the looks of it.

Not much left now. Melbourne to CNS/TSV. MEL and ADL to HBA/LST

brokenagain
29th Jun 2021, 01:41
Not much left now. Melbourne to CNS/TSV. MEL and ADL to HBA/LST

You can take Townsville off the list. What an absolute sh!tstorm. But Scotty from Marketing said ‘it’s not a race?’

jrfsp
29th Jun 2021, 01:43
This is turning into a national lockdown.....

jrfsp
29th Jun 2021, 01:50
And the deputy PM just got fined for failing to wear a mask - what hope have we got.

clark y
29th Jun 2021, 02:05
I prefer the spend big on vaccinations option rather than spend big on quarantine. Quarantine doesn't fix the problem and our resources are finite.
I'm sure a "temporary levy" will appear soon enough and it will last a lot longer than 12 months. Our children will be paying for this mess.

dr dre
29th Jun 2021, 02:08
And the deputy PM just got fined for failing to wear a mask - what hope have we got.

A nation gets the politicians it deserves. If it wants the at times acting PM to be a guy who opposed the HPV vaccine because it would make women “promiscuous” and who said snake bites killed 40 times as much as Covid then it’s a reflection of the society that voted him into office.

SOPS
29th Jun 2021, 02:09
Dan has just said something sensible. He wants to cut overseas arrivals by 75 percent and stop people going out until we ca get people vaccinated.

jrfsp
29th Jun 2021, 02:16
Dan has just said something sensible. He wants to cut overseas arrivals by 75 percent and stop people going out until we ca get people vaccinated.

I mean we can cut arrivals by 99% but until they get real on stopping the leaks it wont matter.

The fact that an intl airport driver was not required to wear any PPE, get tested or get vaccinated 18 months in is inexcusable - heads need to roll for that.

And in QLD it should have been blindingly obvious to separate low risk domestic from high risk arrivals. Post quarantine testing....it goes on and on.

DirectAnywhere
29th Jun 2021, 02:16
Gnadenburg, a bit more "panic" 12 months ago and we wouldn't find ourselves in a position where we need to rush like we do now.

Cirressna, the premiers have come to the same conclusion I have. Hotel quarantine doesn't work. As SOPS said above, expect them to unilaterally cut their caps. Up to 80% reductions being reported.

Clark Y, yep agreed, but we are where we are and there is no sign that quarantine won't continue in some form for some time to come. If we're going to have it and continue this push for COVID zero it needs to work. The feds need to do both.

Ruprecht, I can't disagree with you. :-)

jetpig32
29th Jun 2021, 02:22
Outsider here currently peering out of my rydges syd quarantine hotel.
It’s amazing watching the news here. It’s like watching news in the California last June. Seems like a time warp.
The State premiers and govt officials are barking about international flights to be paused and a fedex crew possible source. A few breaths later call for more vaccinations, Pfizer/moderna etc. How do they think vaccines arrive? I’m not fdx, but have pulled Pfizer vaccines in on our preighter runs.
I am also glad to see the age guidance change on Astra/z. I look forward to an open Australia and brighter future for our crews on both sides of the pacific.

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 02:23
So you want to drastically cut arrivals,

Doesn’t that make the governments heartless and racist. I mean cutting now this new INDIAN very contagious variant is spreading around.

oh, that’s what all the lefty lovies will be screaming. Human rights,and all that. How can we deny AUSTRALIAN citizens their RIGHT to return….. and so on.
Or is it the usual story, if a lefty politician says or does something it’s ok but if a conservative government does it it’s racist and against human rights.

WingNut60
29th Jun 2021, 02:24
Declare a state of emergency, requisition all the manpower, equipment, materials and temporary structures you can find. Get army engineers to manage the immediate construction of temporary vaccine facilities on federally owned land in all regions. I hate the use of this term, but we should be on a "war-like" footing when it comes to the establishment of getting everyone vaccinated.

All returning travellers must be vaccinated and can quarantine at home, if possible, until we hit 70%-80%

Blah........ blah .....blah

All returning travellers must be vaccinated and could possibly quarantine at home, until we hit 70%-80%
But, will almost certainly have an urgent and irresistible need to get to a leagues club, gym, self hynosis session or whatever

There, now I've fixed it for you.

DirectAnywhere
29th Jun 2021, 02:40
Fk, the left/ right argument. The premiers are starting to see that the benefit for the many outweighs the desires of the few.

"Yes there'd be inconvenience in less people being able to return home, of course there would be," Mr Andrews said.He said it would be "heartbreaking in many ways", but that a reduced cap would only last until a "critical mass" of people were vaccinated.

"But compare a lockdown of a whole city or a whole state and the pain of that, versus halving, or reducing by 75 per cent or 80 per cent, whatever the number is, the number of people who are coming back through hotel quarantine, in my judgement there's no comparison," he said

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 02:47
Fk, the left/ right argument. The premiers are starting to see that the benefit for the many outweighs the desires of the few.

Labor premiers, and there very much is a different standard for them as opposed to liberal premiers.

For people like Mr Sharma, who travelled to India to mourn his father's death, the lack of compassion and community solidarity is dispiriting.

"It's really devastating to see when people on social media say: 'Just let them stay there'. What kind of thing is that to say about a fellow Australian?

DirectAnywhere
29th Jun 2021, 02:51
Yeah, well that's deeply sad, but it's about time political leaders understood that the needs of 25 million people trump the needs of 35,000. It's a numbers game.

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 02:53
Yeah, well that's deeply sad, but it's about time political leaders understood that the needs of 25 million people trump the needs of 35,000. It's a numbers game.

oh, don’t get me wrong. I completely agree with what you are saying and that there needs to be a reduction. I am just playing the typical leftie. And showing their utter hypocrisy. And the complicity of the mainstream media.

SOPS
29th Jun 2021, 03:00
I really think it’s time to say.. if you have left Australia since the border closed … you can’t come back. ( ok .. there will be a few exceptions, but you know what I mean. )

DirectAnywhere
29th Jun 2021, 03:04
oh, don’t get me wrong. I completely agree with what you are saying and that there needs to be a reduction. I am just playing the typical leftie. And showing their utter hypocrisy. And the complicity of the mainstream media.

Sorry, I missed the irony. I have a serious sense of humour failure at the moment.

Lead Balloon
29th Jun 2021, 03:04
I really think it’s time to say.. if you have left Australia since the border closed … you can’t come back. ( ok .. there will be a few exceptions, but you know what I mean. )

Yep. Provided that includes politicians, 'special' people from DFAT, sportspeople, investors etc.

Torukmacto
29th Jun 2021, 03:15
Goverment just waiting until the majority understand they will need to vaccinate , closing country , closing borders and lockdowns will continue until the majority accept vaccinations is only way out . Blaming government for this is like blaming your union for slide in COS . Its up to the members / citizens to do something .

blubak
29th Jun 2021, 03:16
This is a really good ploy,get all premiers to agree & put the pressure right on scomo.
Instead of him sitting back & telling us its up to the individual states to nominate arrival caps etc,let him now grow a set & sort out his vaccine mess & whilst hes at it address his idiotic deputy for his mask wearing fiasco.
Whether u agree with masks or not,if this turkey ignores the rules well he needs to face the consequences(X10).

chookcooker
29th Jun 2021, 03:17
Goverment just waiting until the majority understand they will need to vaccinate , closing country , closing borders and lockdowns will continue until the majority accept vaccinations is only way out . Blaming government for this is like blaming your union for slide in COS . Its up to the members / citizens to do something .
except for the messaging.

it’s not a race,
AZ for adults.
Az only over 50s
wait , AZ only over 60s
hangon, AZ for everyone,
and hurry up and get it!! It’s a race!

then add the fact they knocked back Pfizer for a Israeli style total vaccination plan that would have had us 40M doses by now.
they do perhaps deserve some blame.

PoppaJo
29th Jun 2021, 03:17
I think you will find a large majority of movements abroad are not overly critical or necessary. Then we need to deal with them on the return. I know one young bloke who went over to see his online lover in the states. He transferred his university studies to a American campus and he got the green light in. Now he is coming back.

SOPS
29th Jun 2021, 03:21
WA closed to all of QLD as of 3.00 pm.

Icarus2001
29th Jun 2021, 03:57
I really think it’s time to say.. if you have left Australia since the border closed … you can’t come back. ( ok .. there will be a few exceptions, but you know what I mean. ) The first and primary role of a government is to look after its own citizens.

They simply cannot stop people arriving if they are citizens. It is unconscionable. They tried it for five minutes and gave up.

They can however prevent people leaving.

SOPS
29th Jun 2021, 04:01
Ok.. well stop them leaving then.

neville_nobody
29th Jun 2021, 04:01
They simply cannot stop people arriving if they are citizens. It is unconscionable. They tried it for five minutes and gave up. They can however prevent people leaving.

Problem there is people play the game by leaving on one passport, but when they need to come back to Australia to get away from Covid they whip out their Australian Passport and demand to be let in.

SOPS
29th Jun 2021, 04:58
All I know is that when this mess first started there were Thirty Thousand Australians overseas that wanted to come back. 18 months on, that number has not changed. Someone is taking the pi$$.

Chronic Snoozer
29th Jun 2021, 05:10
All I know is that when this mess first started there were Thirty Thousand Australians overseas that wanted to come back. 18 months on, that number has not changed. Someone is taking the pi$$.

15 months in, still locking down for a couple of cases. What they should be saying is you are free to move about (with masks) if you are fully vaccinated. Those of you who aren't, remained seated.

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 05:14
15 months in, still locking down for a couple of cases. What they should be saying is you are free to move about if you are fully vaccinated. Those of you who aren't, remained seated.

should, but practically policing it.. you would have to carry your little vaccine passport with you everywhere. Which of course would never happen. I think stopping everyone on the street, checking their papers…. Oh I forgot it,… logistically never going to happen.

Chronic Snoozer
29th Jun 2021, 05:31
Well I just set up my immunisation certificate through Medicare Express app in three minutes flat. Logistically, couldn't be simpler.

vne165
29th Jun 2021, 05:34
This has to be peak insanity...12 million people in lockdown....nearly 50% of the entire country.

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 05:48
Well I just set up my immunisation certificate through Medicare Express app in three minutes flat. Logistically, couldn't be simpler.

bully for you,

is that mandatory. It would have to be.. or to carry a physical form of proof of vaccine.

and how are you going to police it without stopping everyone on the street. Papers please…..logistically impossible.

turbantime
29th Jun 2021, 06:15
Foxxster - It’s the Medicare app on your phone. You can save the digital certificate offline within the app. The digital certificate also has holographic features which makes it extremely difficult to forge.
No different to the NSW digital driver’s licence.

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 06:19
Foxxster - It’s the Medicare app on your phone. You can save the digital certificate offline within the app. The digital certificate also has holographic features which makes it extremely difficult to forge.
No different to the NSW digital driver’s licence.

I have the app.

please tell me how you propose to enforce this. And the answer is NOT just the same as drivers licences. That’s a hint for you.

Fuel-Off
29th Jun 2021, 06:23
bully for you,

is that mandatory. It would have to be.. or to carry a physical form of proof of vaccine.

and how are you going to police it without stopping everyone on the street. Papers please…..logistically impossible.

Europe does it with passport on the phone mostly when checking in on flights, on intercity trains, international ferries and crossing land borders. Some venues with large gatherings have a set up with scanners at the ready at the entrance. Just a smartphone app, produces a QR code so it can be verified and you're on your way The US have a pretty flimsy system of just producing a card from the CDC, but several states (both red and blue) have removed ALL pandemic related policies and are effectively back to normal. Hence why we are seeing a post pandemic boom in travel. Might have something to do with the fact almost 70% have had one dose. US-EU travel this northern summer will be unrestricted, no quarantine either side. I mean, if the Americans can do it...

The UK, while it doesn't have a vaccine passport per se and BoJo is pretty reluctant to implement that type of policy is moving along with his 'irreversible' path out of the pandemic. They've actually set out a target for the threshold the government is willing to accept in the amount of vaccinations that will get the UK out of pandemic control and on with the rest of the world - all while 18,000 cases a day but with minimal hospitalisations. Because treatments are a whole lot better, vaccinations aside.

But alas, Australians know how to do it better. A clear concise message of getting vaccinated but you're still subjected to lockdowns and travel restrictions and can't travel abroad to safe countries and upon returning (if you can get a seat because numbers are still capped) you're still required to quarantine at your expense. A message of changing who is eligible to get the vaccine but change the goal posts every five minutes. A message of you can wait, we've got time, but we want you to get vaccinated as soon as you're eligible (as long as you meet the recently changed eligibility criteria). Most of the developed world have ordered at least 4 or 5 different types of vaccine per country back in July. Australia ordered 2 types in November - but don't forget, according to SloMo, we're ahead of the queue. But the main message that all politicians in Australia would have you believe is that 'there is nowhere else I'd rather be during a pandemic but Australia!'. Really? The 12 or so million people currently in lockdown at the moment might take on a different view to that. You know you've screwed up as a Liberal PM when even Sky News journos are openly bagging and questioning your policies and lack of direction. Maybe he should go back to marketing school.

But we've had little cases! Some here would bellow, to profess a type of arrogant superiority over all others. That was last year's battle. Casualties and the associated fallout was minimal which was terrific and highly commendable. That battle was won, but as the war continues, new fronts with slightly different enemies are approaching from all sides and like any adversary looks for chinks in the armor. This year's battle is different, but we have a highly effective weapon to our advantage, but our generals didn't order enough ammunition.

Our generals prefer to hide under the doona instead.

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 06:26
Europe does it with passport on the phone mostly when checking in on flights, on intercity trains, international ferries and crossing land borders. Some venues with large gatherings have a set up with scanners at the ready at the entrance. Just a smartphone app, produces a QR code so it can be verified and you're on your way The US have a pretty flimsy system of just producing a card from the CDC, but several states (both red and blue) have removed ALL pandemic related policies and are effectively back to normal. Hence why we are seeing a post pandemic boom in travel. Might have something to do with the fact almost 70% have had one dose. US-EU travel this northern summer will be unrestricted, no quarantine either side. I mean, if the Americans can do it...

The UK, while it doesn't have a vaccine passport per se and BoJo is pretty reluctant to implement that type of policy is moving along with his 'irreversible' path out of the pandemic. They've actually set out a target for the threshold the government is willing to accept in the amount of vaccinations that will get the UK out of pandemic control and on with the rest of the world - all while 18,000 cases a day but with minimal hospitalisations. Because treatments are a whole lot better, vaccinations aside.

But alas, Australians know how to do it better. A clear concise message of getting vaccinated but you're still subjected to lockdowns and travel restrictions and can't travel abroad to safe countries and upon returning (if you can get a seat because numbers are still capped) you're still required to quarantine at your expense. A message of changing who is eligible to get the vaccine but change the goal posts every five minutes. A message of you can wait, we've got time, but we want you to get vaccinated as soon as you're eligible (as long as you meet the recently changed eligibility criteria). Most of the developed world have ordered at least 4 or 5 different types of vaccine per country back in July. Australia ordered 2 types in November - but don't forget, according to SloMo, we're ahead of the queue. But the main message that all politicians in Australia would have you believe is that 'there is nowhere else I'd rather be during a pandemic but Australia!'. Really? The 12 or so million people currently in lockdown at the moment might take on a different view to that. You know you've screwed up as a Liberal PM when even Sky News journos are openly bagging and questioning your policies and lack of direction. Maybe he should go back to marketing school.

But we've had little cases! Some here would bellow, to profess a type of arrogant superiority over all others. That was last year's battle. Casualties and the associated fallout was minimal which was terrific and highly commendable, but as the war continues, new fronts with slightly different enemies are approaching from all sides and like any adversary looks for chinks in the armor. This year's battle is different, but we have a highly effective weapon to our advantage, but our generals didn't order enough ammunition.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT NOW IN AUSTRALIA WITH EXTREMELY LOW,VACCINATION RATES.

now how are you going to police it..on the street. NOT getting on a plane or entering an entertainment venue.

Chronic Snoozer
29th Jun 2021, 06:27
bully for you,

Do your own legwork instead of sprouting off on here.

Torukmacto
29th Jun 2021, 06:28
Watch Scomo tonight , his smile will be just a bit bigger . Australians have moved a few more inches to mass vaccinations today .

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 06:29
Do your own legwork instead of sprouting off on here.
thanks for admitting it is impossible to police and a bloody stupid idea.

the original post being if you are vaccinated then you do not have to obey lockdowns. The numbers of police required to adequately enforce and check that people moving about are fully vaccinated would require doubling the police force and stopping EVERYONE on the street.

we don’t have 50%, 60% + vaccinated here so our population is still very vulnerable.. any measures taken in countries where they do have those vaccinated rates therefore are irrelevant.

there are some real …… on here. Grow a brain

jrfsp
29th Jun 2021, 06:32

But we've had little cases! Some here would bellow, to profess a type of arrogant superiority over all others. That was last year's battle. Casualties and the associated fallout was minimal which was terrific and highly commendable. That battle was won, but as the war continues, new fronts with slightly different enemies are approaching from all sides and like any adversary looks for chinks in the armor. This year's battle is different, but we have a highly effective weapon to our advantage, but our generals didn't order enough ammunition.

The uk is actually seeing 200 hospitalisations PER DAY and is starting to increase. What happens when the hospitals reach capacity? More restrictions?

Israel (highest % vaccination rate in the world) has re-imposed restrictions with face masks and quarantining people who have the delta variant.

Anti Skid On
29th Jun 2021, 07:37
There's a significant difference in vaccinations given and being fully vaccinated: being at the end of the supply chain and initially limited to mainly AZ jabs with a 12 week gap between the two, we stood little chance of matching countries who (understandably) kept the production for themselves. I'm among a significant number who will be getting their 12 week booster this weekend, and I suspect that the fully vaccinated figures will then boost noticeably.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1117/27th_june_vax_numbers_ce8914e9bf06e8b1a0f9676a8fc5b0094b1ff8 17.jpg

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/australias-covid-19-vaccine-rollout
People forget that polio was a killer and is virtually gone (and smallpox too)

Re. NZ we went for Pfizer but also had the ability to source AZ; I believe we gave out AZ to Fiji, and NZ has also vaccinated the Cook Islands with Pfizer so that tourist bubble could open. It was on our news that we are running low on Pfizer, and like Australia NZ waited so the countries with the highest death rates had access ti it first, which maybe explains the slow rates,

29th Jun 2021, 07:57

the original post being if you are vaccinated then you do not have to obey lockdowns. The numbers of police required to adequately enforce and check that people moving about are fully vaccinated would require doubling the police force and stopping EVERYONE on the street.

we don’t have 50%, 60% + vaccinated here so our population is still very vulnerable.. any measures taken in countries where they do have those vaccinated rates therefore are irrelevant.

maybe they will use tattoos

Icarus2001
29th Jun 2021, 08:10
Problem there is people play the game by leaving on one passport, but when they need to come back to Australia to get away from Covid they whip out their Australian Passport and demand to be let in

I had looked into this. When you present a foreign passport to leave “they” will see you do not have a visa for Australia and will ask how you entered the country. This force you to show a NZ or AUS passport anyway, so now you are sprung.
The reality is they know if you are an Australian citizen, your name and DOB will flag on the Border Farce system.

We are all being distracted, lock down is only needed because they cannot get us vaccinated due poor management of the purchase of vaccines.

Then they can open borders like most of the world.

Icarus2001
29th Jun 2021, 08:13
The uk is actually seeing 200 hospitalisations PER DAY and is starting to increase. 200 in a population of 67 million people.

PoppaJo
29th Jun 2021, 08:26
This has to be peak insanity...12 million people in lockdown....nearly 50% of the entire country.
I just hope the states don’t try and suppress the death rate when it takes off once we live in the land of herd immunity. I wouldn’t put it past some states to bring in restrictions when people start dropping like flies (not my problem get the fn jab)

People didn’t like it when Jayne made those statements. I’m glad she didn’t backtrack 100% on those words.

jrfsp
29th Jun 2021, 08:48
200 in a population of 67 million people.

Im not saying, but like everywhere there is a finite capacity. Im not saying that this is an unacceptable number - but what are we doing to get ready for it? Adjusting for population we would see 60-70 per day - can you imagine? No wonder there are no plans for the border to open.

Our hospital system is pretty much maxed out as it is. We should have started preparing for increased capacity 18 months ago. In many states there is little to no ICU dept in the regions.

Lead Balloon
29th Jun 2021, 09:03
I can imagine proper quarantine arrangements and adequate ICU infrastructure, all of which would cost less than the real cost of the lockdowns and border restrictions.

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 09:47
Interesting…regarding the new European vaccine passport.

the interesting part was when she said only AstraZeneca vaccine MADE IN EUROPE is acceptable. Much of ours is made in Australia.

https://youtu.be/7GYu7tsHbsA

aviation_enthus
29th Jun 2021, 09:59
The uk is actually seeing 200 hospitalisations PER DAY and is starting to increase. What happens when the hospitals reach capacity? More restrictions?

200 per day.

In a country of 67 million…..

That has 122,000 hospital beds available….

Between January-March, 250 people PER DAY were admitted for “General Medicine” (22,000+ in 3 months).

Ahhhhhhh!!!

Bit of perspective please.

A public health system exists to improve outcomes for people affected by disease and injury. If we just “lockdown” for everything, why even bother to have a health system at all???

Ban smoking, driving and alcohol while you’re at it.

And how do you propose a lockdown should be used to prevent the spread of cancer? Or perhaps should people just go to the doctor and use the health system we all pay for?

3Greens
29th Jun 2021, 10:14
200 in a population of 67 million people.

and this figure is ten times less than the numbers in previous waves. The demographic is vastly differant too. Many more younger people this time, which haven’t been vaccinated yet, and they are much less likely to need ICU treatment or ventilation.
The data is freely available on the U.K. NHS website.

aviation_enthus
29th Jun 2021, 10:17
The data is freely available on the U.K. NHS website.

Ssssshhhhhhhh!

Don’t tell anyone these things called “facts” are available! They’d all rather believe the latest panic driven, click bait headline.

Thanks to the rest of the world, there is a huge amount of data available to show the effectiveness of vaccines. But in Australia we wouldn’t know that because “the data isn’t clear yet”.

Transition Layer
29th Jun 2021, 10:38
200 per day.

In a country of 67 million…..

That has 122,000 hospital beds available….

Between January-March, 250 people PER DAY were admitted for “General Medicine” (22,000+ in 3 months).

Ahhhhhhh!!!

Bit of perspective please.

A public health system exists to improve outcomes for people affected by disease and injury. If we just “lockdown” for everything, why even bother to have a health system at all???

Ban smoking, driving and alcohol while you’re at it.

And how do you propose a lockdown should be used to prevent the spread of cancer? Or perhaps should people just go to the doctor and use the health system we all pay for?

Don’t bother reasoning with jrfsp, he/she has clearly been brainwashed with fear living happily under Herr McGowan’s reich. You know, the people who are OK with a “circuit breaker” lockdown to “crush” the virus, because of 3 whole cases in Perth :rolleyes:

Chronic Snoozer
29th Jun 2021, 11:15
Don’t bother reasoning with jrfsp, he/she has clearly been brainwashed with fear living happily under Herr McGowan’s reich. You know, the people who are OK with a “circuit breaker” lockdown to “crush” the virus, because of 3 whole cases in Perth :rolleyes:

And he as the temerity to provide veiled criticism of Gladys. WA's health system is an utter sh1tfight at the moment. 3rd world stuff. They cannot afford any sort of breakout because the system will quickly become overwhelmed. It's all good though, we have Ningaloo.

SOPS
29th Jun 2021, 12:09
I don’t think we can afford a break out ( big) anywhere in Australia. Not just WA. ( yes I agree it seems WA Health is a bit fxxxxd). But I feel that this Delta thing as put a stop to normal again. I just want my second AZ.

AerialPerspective
29th Jun 2021, 12:51
I can imagine proper quarantine arrangements and adequate ICU infrastructure, all of which would cost less than the real cost of the lockdowns and border restrictions.

Yes. When you consider that the initial evacuation flights out of Wuhan, flew to XMas Island where the passengers were isolated for 14 days and as far as I know they didn't lead to community transmission, that should have been the model for repatriation. I'm sure if we dig through the archives we'll find there was probably some facility perfect for this but governments over time have thought "Nah, let it fall apart, we'll never need it". A bit like Trump abolishing the pandemic task force or whatever it was called, thinking it was a waste of money.

Clare Prop
29th Jun 2021, 12:54
Provisional estimates of overseas trips in May 2021 show:

A total of 115,600 arrivals
44,600 Australian citizens arrivals (39%), 9,900 permanent visa holders (9%), 52,300 New Zealand citizens (45%) and 10,100 temporary visa holders (9%)
A total of 108,300 departures

Overseas Travel Statistics, Provisional, May 2021 | Australian Bureau of Statistics (abs.gov.au) (https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/industry/tourism-and-transport/overseas-travel-statistics-provisional/latest-release)

AerialPerspective
29th Jun 2021, 12:57
except for the messaging.

it’s not a race,
AZ for adults.
Az only over 50s
wait , AZ only over 60s
hangon, AZ for everyone,
and hurry up and get it!! It’s a race!

then add the fact they knocked back Pfizer for a Israeli style total vaccination plan that would have had us 40M doses by now.
they do perhaps deserve some blame.

This government couldn't roll out a yoga mat. You don't need to look too far at their sheer incompetence and bastardry....... robodebt, sports rorts, community safety grant rorts, prosecution of witness K and BC, not to mention as the 'juice media' observe, the 'useless sack of sh-t' that orchestrated/approved the bugging, goes on to a cushy consultancy with the private company that stood to benefit from the result of the bugging despite at least one legal expert suggesting he broke the law and should be in court instead, who pays the price, the whistle-blowers, the people who they mismanage everything on behalf of, the journalists who try to report it but never those in charge....

SOPS
29th Jun 2021, 13:01
NSW just shut to WA. I think we are almost done. Front doors locked , fire on, wine opened , lets see where this goes.

Icarus2001
29th Jun 2021, 13:06
Yep those THREE cases in Perth must be pretty scary.

Keg
29th Jun 2021, 13:20
NSW just shut to WA. I think we are almost done. Front doors locked , fire on, wine opened , lets see where this goes.

Shut? Or just require a declaration that you haven’t been to any of the exposure sights?

dr dre
29th Jun 2021, 14:42

Yeah, should’ve just sat on his ass like Gladys over in Sydney, and let it all develop into a 14 day lockdown.

WA has done 5, 3, and 4 days. So less total time for 3 breakouts than Sydney for 1. Even Bruz admitted today they should’ve locked down last week. Whoops.

I don’t like any of this going on either, but either make quarantine air tight and remote, which they won’t or vaccinate a lot of people, which they haven’t.

Chronic Snoozer
29th Jun 2021, 15:33
Yeah, should’ve just sat on his ass like Gladys over in Sydney, and let it all develop into a 14 day lockdown.

WA has done 5, 3, and 4 days. So less total time for 3 breakouts than Sydney for 1. Even Bruz admitted today they should’ve locked down last week. Whoops.

I don’t like any of this going on either, but either make quarantine air tight and remote, which they won’t or vaccinate a lot of people, which they haven’t.

The outbreak started outside quarantine didn’t it? Each state follows its own CMO’s medical advice.

morno
29th Jun 2021, 18:33

Settle down dip****. Think of it like a drivers license, we all need one to be out on the road, and you’re right, they can’t possibly police everyone, but the deterrent to driving without a license is the risk of getting pulled over and checked, followed by the consequences of a fine and possible court appearance. Now translate that into a vaccine certificate that permits you to be out and about during a lockdown.

Some people really need to grow a brain….

ChrisJ800
29th Jun 2021, 21:52
Ops normal here in Tassie except my wife works in one of the large hotels which is now full of mainlanders in quarantine. First time that her hotel has had significant quarantine numbers.

gordonfvckingramsay
29th Jun 2021, 22:10
Yep those THREE cases in Perth must be pretty scary.

Are you suggesting the THREE cases are scary or are you suggesting the potential number of cases that could come from those THREE people is? Three cases is not scary at all, but The Delta strain has an R0 of about 7, your THREE cases could be thousands in less than 30 days. A short, sharp lockdown prevents this.

cloudsurfng
29th Jun 2021, 22:55

this guy works for news.com.au or the dailymail I’m sure of it.

ScepticalOptomist
29th Jun 2021, 23:06
Are you suggesting the THREE cases are scary or are you suggesting the potential number of cases that could come from those THREE people is? Three cases is not scary at all, but The Delta strain has an R0 of about 7, your THREE cases could be thousands in less than 30 days. A short, sharp lockdown prevents this.

And how many of those potential cases will need hospital treatment? Data from first world countries showing it’s definitely more infectious but causes serious illness approximately 90% less than previous strains. You don’t see Aussie media reporting that though do you? Doesn’t fit the “let’s keep em scared” narrative.

gordonfvckingramsay
29th Jun 2021, 23:42
And how many of those potential cases will need hospital treatment? Data from first world countries showing it’s definitely more infectious but causes serious illness approximately 90% less than previous strains. You don’t see Aussie media reporting that though do you? Doesn’t fit the “let’s keep em scared” narrative.

Throwing borders open doesn’t fit any health based narrative either.

Foxxster
29th Jun 2021, 23:44
Settle down dip****. Think of it like a drivers license, we all need one to be out on the road, and you’re right, they can’t possibly police everyone, but the deterrent to driving without a license is the risk of getting pulled over and checked, followed by the consequences of a fine and possible court appearance. Now translate that into a vaccine certificate that permits you to be out and about during a lockdown.

Some people really need to grow a brain….

no it doesn’t translate at all. The drivers licence scenario is not at all comparable to a pandemic with a highly contagious deadly virus.

God almighty. I sure hope you aren’t a pilot with people’s lives under your responsibility.

WingNut60
29th Jun 2021, 23:48
............ Data from first world countries showing it’s definitely more infectious but causes serious illness approximately 90% less than previous strains. ..........................

That fits the general model for evolution of pathogens, as I understand it.
There is no evolutionary advantage to killing your host.

And you are correct in that I have seen no such statistical data in the Australian media.
So I'm interested to see your source. I suspect that the 90% reduction that you mention would be linked to vaccination rates.
Because fatality rates at it's source (India) do not appear to be insignificant.

NumptyAussie
29th Jun 2021, 23:48

Since you are across all the data, what are the vaccination rates in these "First world countries " of which you speak?

Foxxster
30th Jun 2021, 00:09
Haha, me too.

Makes me laugh that I innocently posted a reference to a segment on a news program (although I use that term lightly with Sky) by a demographic expert and every pretend expert on this forum has unleashed their mob-wisdom to discredit it without even realising what the point the guy was making was.

YES, people cross from one place to another in Sydney, but the ENTIRE BLOODY POPULATION doesn't do it on a daily basis. When you have a clump of suburbs in Melbourne that have an outbreak, there is no bridge or harbour or natural barrier, every suburb almost without exception borders (often on the other side of the street) with the next suburb. Given that not all 100% of people in Sydney drive to every other suburb separated from their region by a river or bridge every single day, it's OBVIOUS that sunken rivers and other barriers provide 'some' separation that does not exist in most other states, especially Victoria.

Precisely because of the bridge that you refer to this guy's position does have some merit, whether all the self-appointed geniuses on here agree with it or not. There is a physical/topographical difference between Sydney and Melbourne.

oh dear..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9737237/Covid-19-Australia-Map-shows-virus-spread-Sydneys-postcodes-Bondi-Auburn-west.html

PoppaJo
30th Jun 2021, 00:50
Goodbye Adelaide according to reports.

Jetstar are oversold Melbourne to Cairns at the moment and Melbourne-Tasmania is full across all carriers. Not many other places you can go!

Potsie Weber
30th Jun 2021, 00:57
In another sign the Federal Government has completely lost control of this nation. Is this what anarchy against federation looks like?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/queensland-tells-under40s-do-not-get-astrazeneca-vaccine/news-story/9968840ca57b15dae0eaf63dd9c0c390

brokenagain
30th Jun 2021, 01:07
The mixed messaging around vaccines in this country is going to mean we’ll be in this mess for a long time to come.

The void in true leadership from the top has a large part to blame. We’re arguably in a worse position now than at anytime during this pandemic.

Chronic Snoozer
30th Jun 2021, 01:07
In another sign the Federal Government has completely lost control of this nation. Is this what anarchy against federation looks like?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/queensland-tells-under40s-do-not-get-astrazeneca-vaccine/news-story/9968840ca57b15dae0eaf63dd9c0c390

In another sign the Federal Government has completely lost control of its health officers. This is just a p1ssing match between health experts that have a difference of opinion and different tolerances to risk.

Chronic Snoozer
30th Jun 2021, 01:10
The mixed messaging around vaccines in this country is going to mean we’ll be in this mess for a long time to come.

The void in true leadership from the top has a large part to blame. We’re arguably in a worse position now than at anytime during this pandemic.

The leadership is being led by epidemiologists. Apparently. They are now swimming in the same pool of information we are and are struggling to find the bottom.

SOPS
30th Jun 2021, 01:15
Seems like SA is about to lock down.

SHVC
30th Jun 2021, 01:47
Palachook still trying to run ppls lives, her and CMO won’t allow under 40s get AZ meanwhile NSW is allowing anyone and everyone to get AZ.

I want to leave live in a country that’s living.

transition_alt
30th Jun 2021, 01:53
And now Alice Springs is going into a 72 hour lockdown from 1pm.

What the h*ll is wrong with this country!?

DanV2
30th Jun 2021, 01:57
South Australia also reported to be facing imminent lockdown. Mining/Delta cluster has reportedly reached Adelaide.

That's over half the country if SA joins most other states in lockdown.

DanV2
30th Jun 2021, 02:21
Marshall just said SA won't be going into lockdown.. for now. 5 new community cases, all linked to the Mining/Delta cluster.

KRviator
30th Jun 2021, 03:21
'I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca', Queensland Chief Health Officer says
No, I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca.Why?Because they are at increased risk of getting - it is rare, but they are at increased risk of getting the rare clotting syndrome. We've seen up to 49 deaths in the UK from that syndrome.

I don't want an 18-year-old in Queensland dying from a clotting illness who, if they got COVID probably wouldn't die. We've had very few deaths due to COVID-19 in Australia in people under the age of 50, and wouldn't it be terrible that our first 18-year-old in Queensland to who dies related to this pandemic died because of the vaccine?If this isn't so depressingly sad, it'd be funny.

"Very few deaths in Oz in under 50-yr-olds." But who are the ones being screwed over by the ongoing lockdowns - sorry, "Stay-at-home-orders"? Taxpayers. Who, are by and large, under 50! Who are the people going to be paying for the decisions these CHO's and Premier's are making? Taxpayers, particularly those under 50!

These decisions, particularly these days with the Delta variant that appears to be more contagious but nowhere near as fatal, are becoming more and more based on a CHO's opinion of risk, rather than data. For example: in NSW, on the 28th December 2020, we have had 4,683 cases that resulted in 56 deaths source (https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20201228_00.aspx). Fast forward to 30 June and we have had 5,637 cases that have resulted in exactly zero additional deaths Source (https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20210630_00.aspx).

1,000 more cases with no additional fatalities in 6 months and that's in NSW. Pretty good odd's I'd have to say.

ruprecht
30th Jun 2021, 03:36
'I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca', Queensland Chief Health Officer says
If this isn't so depressingly sad, it'd be funny.

"Very few deaths in Oz in under 50-yr-olds." But who are the ones being screwed over by the ongoing lockdowns - sorry, "Stay-at-home-orders"? Taxpayers. Who, are by and large, under 50! Who are the people going to be paying for the decisions these CHO's and Premier's are making? Taxpayers, particularly those under 50!

These decisions, particularly these days with the Delta variant that appears to be more contagious but nowhere near as fatal, are becoming more and more based on a CHO's opinion of risk, rather than data. For example: in NSW, on the 28th December 2020, we have had 4,683 cases that resulted in 56 deaths source (https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20201228_00.aspx). Fast forward to 30 June and we have had 5,637 cases that have resulted in exactly zero additional deaths Source (https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/Pages/20210630_00.aspx).

1,000 more cases with no additional fatalities in 6 months and that's in NSW. Pretty good odd's I'd have to say.
Yep… it’s always easier to make decisions when they don’t directly affect you financially.

Foxxster
30th Jun 2021, 05:10
Marvellous. Nurse tested positive has worked at RNS and another hospital for 5 days. Wards locked down…

other hospital is Fairfield.

morno
30th Jun 2021, 05:15
no it doesn’t translate at all. The drivers licence scenario is not at all comparable to a pandemic with a highly contagious deadly virus.

God almighty. I sure hope you aren’t a pilot with people’s lives under your responsibility.

Oh yes, because knowing how to implement and manage a vaccine passport is ohh so important to my role as a pilot :rolleyes:

If you’re so all over it Einstein why don’t you let us know your professional qualifications that makes you such an expert in the best way to do it?

Foxxster
30th Jun 2021, 05:23
Oh yes, because knowing how to implement and manage a vaccine passport is ohh so important to my role as a pilot :rolleyes:

If you’re so all over it Einstein why don’t you let us know your professional qualifications that makes you such an expert in the best way to do it?

I sometimes wonder if I am talking to 8 year olds with a learning disability .

I think I have stated many many times that it cannot be done. It is up to you to provide the means of implementing and more importantly police the measures that YOU want to put in place.

as for being an expert. Well I have had that line before. About that charlatan, sorry demographer. You may want to refer to my post just above regarding that. The one with the link to the news article…

as for your role as a pilot. You have proven a complete lack of rationality, critical thinking and common sense.

I would think they are necessary requirements for most jobs that have people’s lives in their hands.

Foxxster
30th Jun 2021, 05:47
If this isn't so depressingly sad, it'd be funny.

you have to wonder .. are they simply playing politics AGAIN with this. both Labor premiers come out at the same time requesting a reduction in overseas arrivals and now this.

And to think that same grossly irresponsible chief health officer has just been made governor of qld. Jobs for the girls. She appears completely politically compromised.

oh and the chooks faux outrage at the girl not getting vaccinated. From a premier who (purposely) delayed getting vaccinated herself and then suddenly needed to go to the Olympics and shock horror, the only vaccine she could then get was Pfizer….

Cafe City
30th Jun 2021, 07:35
you have to wonder .. are they simply playing politics AGAIN with this. both Labor premiers come out at the same time requesting a reduction in overseas arrivals and now this…….

oh and the chooks faux outrage at the girl not getting vaccinated. From a premier who (purposely) delayed getting vaccinated herself and then suddenly needed to go to the Olympics and shock horror, the only vaccine she could then get was Pfizer….

Maybe she could start by cutting her own return from the Olympics….

ScepticalOptomist
30th Jun 2021, 08:45
Since you are across all the data, what are the vaccination rates in these "First world countries " of which you speak?

Roughly 53-65% with USA and Germany at the low end and Canada , Israel, and UK at the high end.

These countries are reporting cases with greater than 90% less death rates - all reporting the Delta variant as being the most common, compared with the death rates from the earlier strains, especially when compared with the first wave.

The data is available, you just have to look at it and WANT to understand what it says.

You won’t find a nice packaged article on the usual media sites unless it’s fear based click fodder for the lazy and stupid.

Keg
30th Jun 2021, 12:39
The data out of the UK is very clear. Delta not as deadly in all cases. Vaccines highly effective at both decreasing transmission and lowering symptoms of those who still contract it. Death rate of vaccinated people with Delta is virtually zero. In the UK, for the last month, every week has seen more deaths from the flu and pneumonia than Covid (https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending18june2021).

I’ve no idea why this isn’t being yelled from the roof tops as being a sign that if we get vaccinated, we’re all back on track for the start of next year.

ruprecht
30th Jun 2021, 12:59
I’ve no idea why this isn’t being yelled from the roof tops as being a sign that if we get vaccinated, we’re all back on track for the start of next year.

Well, it should be getting yelled from the rooftops by the federal government - but I’m pretty sure they’re trying to avoid highlighting how good things are going overseas at the moment.

Green.Dot
30th Jun 2021, 21:58
Share it with those who need convincing. The vaccines are doing their job just nicely…

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/the-truth-about-what-vaccines-are-achieving-from-a-country-getting-it-right-20210628-p5852n.html