PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

scubafly
11th Apr 2007, 10:37
Many thanks to you egelsbach, finally a constructive post about Ryanair

That will helps a lot

:D:D

The New Gurney
11th Apr 2007, 13:18
Anyone here going to EMA for assessment on 03rd May?

cessna310
11th Apr 2007, 17:16
Thank you very much egelsbach.

The New Gurney
11th Apr 2007, 22:04
I am going for assessment at EMA on May 03rd. Im willing to pair up with anyone for a sim session (preferably in the next 2 weeks). Many thanks!

potkettleblack
12th Apr 2007, 17:20
Those questions were roughly what I was hearing guys were being asked that have been through the process over the last few months. Only problem with information being in the public domain is that it tends to get changed pretty quick. Just like how the Luton departures got scrapped for the sim ride once everyone had found out and could do them in their sleep on MS flight sim.

My advice would be to go through your air law as well particularly stuff like runway centre lighting, HIAL. Know about Cat 1, 2 and 3 approaches, turbine engines, free turbines, jet streams, how come we have wind and how do we get upper winds etc etc?

toeyshear
13th Apr 2007, 20:57
hello robert

how did you go on your raynair assessment and interview on the tenth. was it what you had thought it would be like.

stuart

FL737
14th Apr 2007, 17:21
This may be usefull for people who are due to do their assessment in Dublin.
http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=international
Live Dublin ATC. It's good and live to the second, i.e no delays.
Aslo,
Check out http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/default.asp here you can view the Ireland AIP and all the SIDs and STARs for EIDW. I sent an email regerding Aeronautical charts in general a few months ago to the IAA and they sent me out the AIP folder, free! Which I heard was strange and they send me out the ammemdments now too. So it's worth a try!
I don't know maybe the above will be of no use to a person preparing for a sim check in a 737 at Dublin for FR but I'm a student pilot that is only completing the PPL now, and I find both of them usefull!

All the best with the checks and the interviews.

FL737.

flyer79
14th Apr 2007, 23:16
Hi chaps,

Had my assessment last week in EMA. Tech interview, was ok, on last aircraft flown, system, question on propellers, swept wings.
HR, asked me questions on the airline, what I know about FR, and why I wanted to join them.

Sim, was the pole hill 4T departure, from Liverpool, followed by steep turns. then NDB DME RWY 27, be careful for situational awareness, as they might freeze the sim and put you somewhere else. Always scan RMI.

They made us fly manual, although in the email I received, was saying autopilot and FD, so work on your gen handling guys, very important.

I received a phone call in the evening saying that I passed. Overall, they are very relaxed people over there and they will try to help you and relax you during the day.

Good luck to all of you and if you need help or questions, feel free to ask.;)

Flyer79

blueangel_91
16th Apr 2007, 14:19
Hi Dear colleagues,

last week I had my assessment with Ryanair at EMA, and would like to tell you how my day there was. Thanks to this forum I alread knew a little bit, of what to expact, nethertheless, here is some more new information.

Before I start some info about me. 25 years old, 202TT, MCC B737-800.

Meeting time was at 9.45 at EMA training facility. Unfortunately we could start at about 11 o'clock with the interviews. This day we were 4 pilots, all Cadets, with not more then 300TT. I was the first one with the interview. A very kind guy called ..., I suppose from the HR departmet, picked me first up. I took exactly 45 minutes and was actually the technical and the normal interview mixed up. Interviewers were ....(responsible for the tech questions and the sim assessor), then ...(HR) and ....(chief of the Pilot Recruitment). Sorry I don't want to mention any names here. All three guys were great. Very kind and patient trying all of the time to be fair and nice to you. I could also notice that for me(English non-native speaker), they tried to talk slower and clearly.
The questions I had, were mixed, so I could not notice a separation between technical and interview part.
Technical questions were like, Jet Streams( I know its met), critical engine, service ceiling and also why Ryanair, tell us about yourself, etc....
We also had some opprotunities to make jokes and laughed, all together very relaxed. I can recommend everybody the book "Technical pilot", which helped me to prepare very good.
The other three colleagues were there for about 30 minutes.

The sim was blocked for a 4 hour session from 14-18 o'clock, and we had about 1h for a lunchbreak. Usually we could decide how to be paired for the sim, I would recommend, the first two guys to start, who also started with the interview first.
With the invitaion for the sim, you will get a very good descrpition, of what to expact in the sim. All the procedures and for every phase of flight, call outs, etc.... and it is really important and necessary to study this brochure and know it by heart. For the approach it said we could use the A/P + F/D only throttles to be handled by the PF. This was not the case, so don't focus so much on the atomatic flight and train more real raugh data flying. But the good news are no 737-200 now the the 800 sim...... Wowwww, great plane. I took some hours in a 800 sim. Just to be sure, because my MCC was a few months ago. And I would also recommend to take 1-2 hours.
SIm ride:I was PF.... Liverpool RWY 27, SID was straight ahead 5000ft :) Level of, stabilize, then Steet turns, accelerating 250kt and climbing to 8000ft with 250kt, while turning into e certain heading. When reaching 8000 desencing to 5000ft no restrictions. In that case, PWR Idle, nose down, just be carefull, not to accelerate over the Vno speed(is indicated) about 320kt as far as I remember. Then levelling of 5000ft I had enige fire, my colleague as PF had back door opened.Both were solved after 1 min and had engine back. Here very important good decision making and CRM(returning back). Then recall items(for fire), then QRH(only mentioned to do). Informing ATC(fire is mayday!!!!!, and returning back to A/P). Then Info to Cabin Crew(NITS) and finally call to the paxes.
As PF i was cleared inbound NDB(direct etry), here the sim was frozen, nethertheless I made e controll change with the PM, and prepared for Holding, with Holding briefing and then for NDB App with briefing. After I had finished, took back the controls and sim moved on. Hodling----direct entry on the outbound course, short befor 1min, right turn inbound NDB and cleared for APP....landing.
Nothing special nothing tricky. Basic IFR flyinig skills, all the briefings and good CRM were the main points.

After the day I had a good feeling. Enjoyed the interview and sim ride a lot and two days later my feeling was confirmed.

If one of you guys have any questions, the are always welcome.
Hope I could help some of you beeing invited there soon. Its not easy and may not be underaestimated, but with some preparation easyly to be passed.

Greetings Robert

boogie-nicey
16th Apr 2007, 16:42
Well done BlueAngel_91 and thanks for a great write up of your recent experience, i'm sure it'll come in useful.
:ok:

Turkish777
19th Apr 2007, 12:22
Thanks for all the feed back guys and gals...still trying to find someone which has sat the Dublin interview recently???

Turkish777
19th Apr 2007, 12:33
Thanks for the post...mine is in Dublin on the 4th May...Im dreading the SIM part as my MCC was a year ago...the SIM in Dublin is the 737-200 but I have booked 90 mins the day before...Im most worried about the emergencys... do you and your partner have time to prepare for the SIM as you may have been taught different things on your MCC...if so how much time do they give you before hand, thanks

ciopu
20th Apr 2007, 18:11
Hi guys i'll have the assesment in Dublin the 31st of May, any news regarding the technical interview is really appreciate, cause the sim briefing they sent me is clearly explain, so no tricks a i think, but for the tec. interview i have to review things from the ATPL manuals, so..

so, basicly anyone of you have done recently the assesment in Dublin??

Donnie Darko
20th Apr 2007, 18:37
The briefing on the day will change, SIDS, Arrivals, EPR settings will all change. Don't get too stressed about learning the plates, I can nearly guarantee you won't be using them.

Turkish777
22nd Apr 2007, 11:45
I know three people which failed their SIM check and all of them did their MCC on an aircraft other than the 737..(i.e. Not PARC) and everyone one I know which has passed the SIM ride has done their MCC at PARC...bit worrying since I did mine at BCFT...This is obviously a huge advantage..

Donnie Darko, I take it you have sat an interview recently? How can they change power settings??? Unless the WAT is going to be altered I dont see how they can do that...

ciopu
22nd Apr 2007, 15:48
I receive a very detailed briefing about the simulator assesment directly from East Midland and honesty there's no tricky things to do or strange setting, remember the EPR is so easy i think, i practise myself every on FS for the basic IFR, i have a beautiful B737-300 to flight with a -200 panel installed..beautiful!!
In a couple of weeks i've booked two sessions of 2 hours each, maybe 4, in the sim where the assesment will be.
I think if you never fly this sim, it's hard to pass, but after 4-8 hours repeating costantly the simulator briefing with the trainer maybe will be easyer have a good result.
The only thing that for me remain a mistery it's the tec. interview cause there're so much things to review and remember that say some bull****s it's a moment, anyway we will see, don't want stress myself too much.....go go go

PS: on my breifing i received 3 STAR (Liverpool, Prestwick, Leeds), plus 3 NDB approach for the same airports.. No SID.
The EPR setting are so easy to remember 2.10 T\O 1.90 CL 1.25 Level flight for maintain 220kts clean and 1.25-30 for mainatin the Vref with flap 30 on the final vertical profile in landing config.
When i will try the real sim in a couple of weeks i will post my impression....
in the meanwhile if some of you will come the 31st of May in DUB please let know, we can share knowledge as much as we can before the "day"..

Bye bye

kuchemann carrots
22nd Apr 2007, 18:33
Are people still being invited for assessments, or has the cadet scheme slowed down??

Donnie Darko
22nd Apr 2007, 21:29
Turkish 777,

Sorry when I said EPR settings, I meant speeds will change, I was told cruise would be 230, on the day they wanted 250.
Be ready for a different brief then they sent you.

High Wing Drifter
23rd Apr 2007, 07:22
Are people still being invited for assessments, or has the cadet scheme slowed down??
I got an email last week asking for an update of hours, etc. I guess they still perceive a need.

Turkish777
23rd Apr 2007, 10:22
No probs Donnie Darko, thanks for the info.

Regarding tech questions a friend of mine sat the EMA interview recently and they asked him one question, how does a jet engine work?? others friends have said the old winglet question pops up and why do jets have swept wings.. What happens to V1 with a contaminated runway is another favourite. I think it really depends on the day..

If they are recruiting around 400 people this year they've got to see at least a 1000 people I would assume, (thats if theres a 1000 people out there with 20K to spend) how much time can they spend on each person if you think about it logically..

Donnie Darko
23rd Apr 2007, 18:54
Tech and Personnel interview took close to an hour, that's if you have done well in the sim, if your interview is before the sim check still a good 40 mins.
I have a list of the most common questions they ask, I will send you the list when I dig it up.
Don't forget personnel questions, Fleet size, Bases, Routes etc. quite a lot more of those type than I had expected.

Night-flyer
24th Apr 2007, 11:27
:} hi guys,

I've been call up for a pre-entry selection in Arlanda with a psycological, atpl and english question...

Does anyone which kind of question in ATPL do they ask and in which subject??
It's a long time that I've done the ATPL exam and i'm really rusty in the tricky question ...

the seletion is the step before the EMA selection in the 737:bored:

any suggestions???:confused:

thanks

hard_landing
30th Apr 2007, 17:51
I was contacted by Ryanair directly....booked for a sim assessment on the 24th may:ok:

dreamtofly
1st May 2007, 20:48
hi everybody,

i have the sim assessment on 17th may. Any other of you for that day?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

scroggs
2nd May 2007, 21:27
People, I have just moved a load of posts discussing Ryanair to the - wait for it - Ryanair (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249697) thread. This thread is for discussion of the interview and sim assessment process, not pay and conditions.

Scroggs

Zest
3rd May 2007, 11:17
I had my FR assessment in April.
Very relaxed interview.
Technical : a lot of technical questions about my previous a/c flown (and not only the last ones, be careful !!) : engines, performance, systems...
Some questions on ATPL knowledge.
No questions about my motivation to work for FR !!
Sim : Liverpool Pole Hill 4T departure, airwork, hold entry, ILS on an NDB procedure plate (NDB DME 27 Liverpool).
Very straightforward, no tricky questions.
Good luck ;) !!
Zest

badboy raggamuffin
3rd May 2007, 18:03
Just had a look at the ryan air website, they say:

"The preferred way to enter the Ryanair Type Qualification Program is through the Ryanair MCC program at CAE Brussels or SAS Flight Academy Stockholm."
Surprise surprise the price of the MCC at CAE is a whopping 4and a half grand, seems like yet another scam against the young wannabe.

Are they now only taking low hours guys from these MCCs, or are there people getting interviews who have got their MCC elsewhere?

Also they say that after line training u will work as a Second officer. What is the difference between this and a first officer? I thought u were a first officer after u had done ur line training?

Turkish777
5th May 2007, 10:59
I sat my interview yesterday, as peviously mentioned the people were very nice and they helped relax you. I did the Liverpool NDB DME 27 and Pole Hill SID which is quite easy, steep turns and some QDMs. I didnt do a hold although they asked how I would enter the hold.

I was told I did well on the SIM. I later sat the interview, some of the questions were a bit more tricky than what I had been previously told. I got them all correct apart from one, which I originally said the correct answer but then I changed it..:ugh:

I havent recieved a phone call, yet my partner did that day, so guess I failed, to this day I will never know why..I was immaculately dressed, im from England so language not a problem, did well on the SIM and got all my questions correct bar one...the phrase 'excellent' was the response to some of my answers..I have also worked for an airline before...but I am 34 knocking on 35....could this be the problem???

I was out by midday and waited at Dublin Airport for 10 hours for a flight and they never called....no email either...:{

christopher_faulds
5th May 2007, 11:55
My friend sat his interview on fri, they didn't actually tell him he'd passed only a little hint. that he should make sure he has the money for the type rating!

So maybe they just didn't give you a little hint mate. I've heard the offical yea or ney route take around 2-3 working days...:ok:

What tech questions did u get if u dont mind. got my assesment on the 17th of may.

P.S More than sure that 34-35 is NOT a problem.. its not that far above the avg age of a new F/O.

Take care... let me know how you got on:ok:

chlong
5th May 2007, 12:22
:ok: Turkish777 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=96287) count your lucky stars. it will come and you will be glad it didnt come with FR.

Turkish777
5th May 2007, 12:54
Thanks Chlong..but Flying for FR surely is better than driving stretch limos 3 days full of piss head wannabes haha..

Christopher..I must have flown with your mate as there was only 3 of us and I flew as PM with both of them, (as somone cancelled the interview) an Italian guy and an Irish guy. The asked me if I had the money for the TR and was I aware how much it costs...I dont think that was the same hint your friend got...

YYZ
5th May 2007, 17:05
I've just finished the course and there were people in there forty’s doing the rating, your age is NO problem, good luck.

YYZ

Turkish777
6th May 2007, 12:02
Well thanks, thats reasuring..still havent heard a thing...what a LONG weekend this is going to be...just a bit concerned that the other guy got called yet I didnt...not a good sign..................................................

Sky Goose
6th May 2007, 14:13
Hi Trukish,
Im Oslo at the mo doing the TR, I had to do the assesment twice to pass (1 year apart), the first time they told me the next day that I flunked. And all the blokes who got the yes were told 3 days later.
The second time they told me during the interview, that I got it, but I think that was rather unusual!
Other blokes on the course here were generally told 2-3 days later, I'd guess that if they didnt want you they would have told you by the next day, seems the usual way.
So wouldnt take it as a bad sign, they might just be trying to see what course they can get you on.
Hope the news is good, and all the best.:ok:
Goose

ps. Im 33

YYZ
6th May 2007, 18:01
Hi Goose

Oslo already! Seems like 2 mins since you arrived!

Hope its all going well for you, only another 4 weeks ish to go. :\

YYZ

dougy24
7th May 2007, 00:59
Hi Guys

Whats the average cost of Accomadation where you are doing the T.R's

Cheers Paul

YYZ
7th May 2007, 10:17
I stayed here whilst in Sweden, book early though, he only has 16 rooms..

http://www.bokloster.se/eng/indexeng.htm

YYZ

Sky Goose
7th May 2007, 15:06
Yip Oslo and FFS,

Now the fun really starts.
Any news on the base check/line training ?

Accomadation varies from 8000-20000 kronor per month depending on where you stay.

Living expenses in Olso much higher....

cheers

Goose

skyloone
7th May 2007, 20:46
Quick question, read the info regarding which route to take in applications (in my case Cadet but already got MCC) so direct application to Ryanair but only come across Captains application link. Nothing for Cadet direct to Ryanair. Am I being a little blind or have they taken a link out?

TheFlyingDJ
8th May 2007, 15:37
you mean http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?sec=careers&ref=NJAR25 ??

skyloone
9th May 2007, 06:21
Yes, but noted that some of the wording has changed since I last looked at it and the link has been changed. The wording & spelling is a little dodgy though!!!:)

"Cadets already in possession of a JAA approved MCC certificate need to our flight training schools CAE (www.cae.com\cts\ryanair (http://www.cae.com/cts/ryanair)) or SAS FA (www.bfsaa.se (http://www.bfsaa.se/)) who handle our Cadet applications. Your application will be processed and suitable candidates will be contacted by Ryanair in due cours"

Turkish777
9th May 2007, 10:53
I think I must be the new undisputed Pprune champion for waiting the longest for my result from RyanAir...They still havent told me...day 5....:ugh:
PS: I have rung them..

Got the email today...PFO...:confused:

octas
10th May 2007, 09:30
Attended RYANAIR recruitment seminar at NFC Weston last week. Good news from NFC today is that they have tied up a deal with RYANAIR to enable students to recoupe cost of flight training with NFC and cost of type-rating with RYANAIR by some clever tax avoidance scheme.
Future looks bright.

chlong
10th May 2007, 10:53
in your dreams octas. turkish 777 sorry to hear your bad news. onward and upward.

aeromec
10th May 2007, 12:55
Here Are The Details Of The Nfc / Ryanair Abinitio Training Programme. Zero Hours To Atpl Ir/multi 47000 Euros, Type Rating 737-800 26000 Euro. Total 73000 Euro Which Can All Be Reclaimed Through Tax. Sounds Like The Best Deal In Town. Was Told Interest In This Programme Very High, Not Surprised At That Rate.

Turkish777
10th May 2007, 12:58
Thanks Chlong, half of me wants to call it a day half of me tells me to keep trying..If I hadn't have been told I had done well then I wouldn't have been disapointed..anyway I will put it behind me and move on..at least I get to keep my Mercedes ha...Some questions I was asked for you next contestants:

Carb Icing..hows it formed?

Critical engine on the DA-42...few questions on the DA-42 it (which was my last aircraft flown)

Which was the critical engine on the Tri-star..?? (did my MCC on Tristar)

Whats a better WX on landing when u loose critical engine?

whats quicker london to USA or return? and why

He said its a lovely day, blue skies, NO CLOUDS, (meaning no moisture)...I cant get carb icing can I Steve..??? I said back 'whats the humidity like' ?..and they laughed and said haha hes not falling for that then..

Thats all folks, good luck

potkettleblack
10th May 2007, 12:59
Before you all go getting to excited ask Ryanair and NFC for a signed letter stating that if you are not able to recoup the tax monies from The Revenue then they will stump up with the cash - yeah right!! I can't for the life of me understand how flight training can be tax deductible but would love to be enlightened as to the finer points so we can have an open debate.

pushapproved
11th May 2007, 03:12
Turkish777, listen to the half of you that says keep trying and don't admit to the mercedes, folk won't feel sorry for you anymore!! :E

Seriously though, there's a job for you out there, the employer just doesn't know it yet :ok:

Turkish777
11th May 2007, 09:51
Cheers lets hope so my friend, otherwise the power boat is just going to have to go! :}

SinBin
11th May 2007, 13:25
Turkish, you'd have been shafted anyway, pushapproved is right! This time next year.............

failte01
11th May 2007, 17:27
not a very exciting deal this RYANAIR and NFC deal at all, as it was very clear at their recruitment seminar by the guy who owns nfc and the older ryanair recruiter guy that females are not welcome in ryanair. Is this 2007 or do the dinasours rule again ?.

dartagnan
11th May 2007, 22:00
You are currently banned from contributing to this thread.
Reason given for this ban:

Telling lies

The ban is in effect until: 10th May 2008, ~08:00
--------------
I have been baned for 1 year cuz I've posted some innocent questions on "Ryanair"
Apparently. my questions are disturbing, specially the one on salary I guess!!;)

chlong
11th May 2007, 23:20
PROBABLY CAUSE YOU TOLD THE TRUTH.:ugh:

flyer75
13th May 2007, 13:17
RJELLISUK;
...i have 20 hours in the Sim so i can fly it very well...THATS funny:E

ciopu
14th May 2007, 08:27
Hi guys, anybody come the 31st in Dub for the assesment??

Nicoals
14th May 2007, 10:14
Anyone sat the interview at EMA recently? Would appreciate an update on the questions, sim assessment.

Thanks

kuchemann carrots
15th May 2007, 11:15
Sat one recently.
The above stood when I did mine.
Arrive 0945. Short sim brief where they tell you what is going to happen and the profile to fly. Ours was a Liverpool Pole Hill 4T SID (not sent out, but very basic), followed by general handling. This involved a series of climbs, descents, turns, variations on speeds, and grouping these together for example, slow to 220kts, descend t0 3500' and turn right to 240... for example.
Then a quick QDM question, and hold entry question. Finished off by a 27 NDB into Liverpool.
Somewhere there was also a fire in the pax compartment.
Interview was short and to the point. Jet engines, swept wings, tell us about you, etc etc.
The interview questions and length do seem to vary quite a bit, so be prepared.
Good luck, and enjoy!

genius747
18th May 2007, 18:10
yes I am. Ask away. PM me if you Like

Nicoals
20th May 2007, 18:34
Thanks Kuchemann that was very helpful, had a good interview.:)

Fancy Navigator
31st May 2007, 09:53
After all the threads here and there describing how RYR treat their new FO's, I am amazed how people are still willing to join them.....:ugh::ugh::ugh:

hard_landing
31st May 2007, 11:28
I had a sim assessment with FR last week. I know how they treat people but I hadn't heard anything else and wanted some interview and sim experience. They phoned me within 24 hours to say I had passed and offering me a place on the next type rating course. I turned it down!! I got a lot out of the int and sim assessment but if they think I'm going to pay 28000 euros they're wrong!! I'm just going to keep plugging away until I find somewhere that treats people better!! (they said that I should call them if I change my mind!!! No chance!!)

Fancy Navigator
31st May 2007, 15:30
Well done, Hard Landing ! :D

You are the example everybody should follow.... More people like you, and maybe RYR would start paying themselves for type ratings and treat people better.

:D:D:D:D:ok:

menikos
31st May 2007, 18:57
Well done :ok::ok::ok::D:D:D

littco
31st May 2007, 20:00
Hard_Landing.
Where you at the Dublin or EMA interviews?
I attended the Dublin interview/assessment last week, and am pleased to say I wont be Joining FR either!
Have to say my interview was an absolute joke, and have never been asked such a bunch of toss questions for a job in my life...

High Wing Drifter
31st May 2007, 20:04
Littco,

What kind of questions? I assume it wasn't just the the usual psycho numpty stuff like "what's your greatest weakness".

hard_landing
31st May 2007, 21:39
I was in Dublin. I agree mate...the questions were pretty ridiculous! I honestly had to stop myself from laughing!! I really am not being flippant...it was that bad!! But, I am a strong believer in taking positives out of every situation.....and the big positive is that I am not going to be working for RYR!!!

I think the fact that, when they talk about the type rating (the "you have to go to one of our approved schools" line) and the way they ask whether you have the finances in place, they don't try to offset it by telling you how great it is to work for them and how you get this and you get that, tells you something!!

By the way, one of the guys on the assessment flew into Dublin on FR. He was sat at the front reading a "pilot interview" book, the first officer came out of the cockpit. He saw the book and asked "You're a pilot then?, have you got an interview?"...to which the guy said "yes...with you guys"...the f/o said..."POOR SOD" :eek:

Enough said!!

inveritas
31st May 2007, 21:51
I'm baffled. I am a Ryanair pilot.

Why on earth would you spend money on an assessment and getting to the interview - if you did not want to join Ryanair in the first place?

Philpaz
31st May 2007, 22:15
Lol Good point!

MarsBar747
1st Jun 2007, 09:29
Hello all

Does anyone know how many pilots and aircrafts are currently in Ryanair? (where did you get this information from?)

Thanks

hard_landing
1st Jun 2007, 10:44
I paid for the sim assessment and int because,

1. I hadn't had an int or sim assessment before and I wanted the experience.

2. Even though I don't want to work for them I wanted to go along and get the answers to some questions "straight from the horses mouth", so to speak. No offence to anyone on here, but you do hear a lot of conflicting things (although, not on how bad FR is!!) so I wanted to go along and get the info first hand.

3. And I was going to go and get some practice in a sim anyway and I was quoted 320 quid an hour for that!!

And I did get a few things out of it. All of which seems fairly straightforward.....so if inveritas (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=151566) found it "baffling", maybe that says more about the pilots that say yes to FR!!:}

Murray_NN
1st Jun 2007, 12:45
Hard Landing,

You could have paid an aviation company to do a practice interview with you and I am sure you would have got more information from that than doing FR interview.

You do not learn anything from the sim session as it is used for evaluation not training. You cannot put the session on your log book.

When FR had a pilot's recruitment road show, you could go there and get the information straight from the horses mouth for free!

so to summarise, all three of your points = a hard landing on your head

perhaps you are not right for FR and FR is not right for you.

Oh, one final thing, why are there so many pilots flying for FR if it is so sooo bad? After all, they are not cancelling flights because of a shortage of pilots are they?

CBS
1st Jun 2007, 15:06
Good points murray. I think hard landing needs to take a rain check. If you think your just going to walk into another airline it is pretty unlikely with low experience.

Fellow Aviator
1st Jun 2007, 15:44
Good points murray. I think hard landing needs to take a rain check. If you think your just going to walk into another airline it is pretty unlikely with low experience.Why on earth should these sub-standard terms be accepted? RyanAir is not the only airline on this planet! People not accepting RyanAir are only demanding terms that are normal to this industry, nothing more.

Fancy Navigator
1st Jun 2007, 18:28
Exactly....!
Being treated like dirt means you should not accept it anymore. Soon, they will make you do line training without even paying you, and there will still be people willing to do it.
Don't be crazy, just say NO :=

CBS
1st Jun 2007, 19:57
Fellow Aviator
For most people they are accepted in fact there accepted many times per week. Yes they are not the only airline and its not ideal, but with 200 hours jet jobs are few and far between for most people. Its pretty simple if you don't like it don't take it...

Zulu Tango
2nd Jun 2007, 07:07
Finally a guy who speaks sense!!

scubafly
2nd Jun 2007, 07:55
Hehehe mi6grenada, you're so right

JETSTREAM_
5th Jun 2007, 17:20
Looking for a partner to share a sim training on 737 800

please!

Contact me with a private message or [email protected]

foxygringo
9th Jun 2007, 10:49
Hi there,

I have a ryanair assesement on the 29th June in Dublin, if anyone has gone through the Dublin assesement recently and could give me an idea of the questions asked, both technical and HR etc. Would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Jabba07
12th Jun 2007, 16:11
Hallo friends,
has anybody been to the Ryanair MCC preassessment done by SAS in Stockholm ? I would love some feedback on the tests and interview.
Maybe it's been written about allready but I missed it,please indicate link.
thank you and good luck.
ps:no gossip/jokes thank you,first hand exp. appreciated.

volare_737
13th Jun 2007, 10:06
Hi all - just checking in to find out if anybody out there is doing there tye rating at east midlands in september 2007.
Would love to share a place or rent a place somewhere very close to the airport.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - Thanks !!!!!!!!!

-8AS
13th Jun 2007, 10:30
Before anyone asks if Ryanair do courses at EMA now, I would assume that Volare737 is doing an Operator Conversion Course as opposed to a full type rating that take place at SAS and CAE.

volare_737
13th Jun 2007, 12:21
Sorry - yes just Efis to NG - !!!!!!!!

brownstar
16th Jun 2007, 11:09
I'm looking at this thread about sim assesments and interviews for ryanair and to any potential pilots looking to join this company i would say this - the devil is in the detail. They way tell you that they need lots of pilots or it is a great opertunity to earn money but- and its a big BUT - there is a catch. there is a lot of money to pay by yourselves for training with NO guarentee of a job with them at the end. You will finish your training, be on a training contract earning £800 per month, and this contract will just run and run. You might then be offered a Brookfield contract, which is NOT employment by ryanair but an excuse to bounce you all over europe on a weekly basis.
This might sound very tempting to the desperate but there are better companies out there.
If you don't believe me just ask one question at your interview or assesment.

"If I pass all the interviews and assesments will I be offered a FULL TIME POSITION in Ryanair ? "
. If they answer is yes, then ask for it in writing and make sure it is signed

skyloone
16th Jun 2007, 14:09
If I am not wrong, the deal is fairly straight forward and its suitability really comes down to a question of personal circumstances and choice. Is it not 2 years on a six monthly rolling Brookefield contract and then permanent. I gather that during line training they do ship you around the place but then look to give you a base option if possible after this.
A few posts back Hard Landing mentioned turning them down together with various reasons etc... The one thing I do know is that in life one gets along by taking smaller steps to reach a longer term goal. Always think about it. The only point that needs to be made is perhaps there are people for whom the deal works longer term.The proof is they do seem to have enough Captains etc... P.S. Am not an FR pilot, just an interested observer so no axe to grind one way or the other.

Brouwerfm
5th Jul 2007, 14:04
Now this question must be getting a bit boring but it would help me allot if someone could give me some information about the techn. interview at RYR.

Thanks!

number
6th Jul 2007, 08:02
at the interview, they showed me an approach plate of Liverpool, and asked me what are the errors on NDB's. They asked me how many passengers can a 737-200 and 800 can carry, and the brand of the engine.
They asked me what do I know about Ryanair, then they sent me to the blackboard and asked me to draw a jet engine, and explain how trust is created, and give the difference between a turbofan and a non turbofan.

Neil.
6th Jul 2007, 21:34
dear number, was your interview at east midlands? or dublin?? i have mine at east midlands.....anyone know if both use similar questions?

ryrb737pilot
14th Jul 2007, 20:17
i recently had my interview with Ryanair and am really glad to say to i have passed the assessment and will be doing my type rating in a couple of months time.

The interview was very professional and to the point. There was a question on how a jet engine works, about the last multi engine aircraft i flew, questions on why i want to join Ryanair, what skills i can bring to the company etc.

The sim was straightforwared with a SID, some general handling and an ILS approach. I was told the next day that i had passed the assessment!

from looking at some of the these threads, excuse my language but there seems to be alot of Crap here on Ryanair i.e. things like you dont get paid whilst training etc and that your on the training contract for more than 6 months. I attended the Ryanair presentation in Oxford when the HR department from Ryanair came down, the presentation and the answers to the questions were to the point and and so far Ryanair have delievered what they had said.

one of my colleague who graduated with me from Oxford and has gone through the whole process. There were some hickups on the way on the Type rating course at CAE but he finshed everthing up to and including his line training. He now flys with the airline as a second officer and loves the job. I can't wait!!

At the end of the day the way i see it is that airlines like Ryanair give us low hour pilot a chance to join their airline with very little expreince. You try getting a job with some airlines who want hundreds of hours of jet time. I really cant wait to start my training with Ryanair.

dodge123
14th Jul 2007, 21:09
I dont know whether to laugh or cry at the last post!!:ugh:

whizzer
14th Jul 2007, 23:00
Whar exactly were they asking when they asked about the difference between a turbofan and a non turbofan??

Speed bird 002
15th Jul 2007, 10:17
So.....A student spends £75k-£80k via the Oxford route and still ends up with Ryanair? :ugh:

A student spends £30k-£40k via a modular school and ends up with Ryanair? :hmm:

Interesting.....how will you Oxford grads be able to pay back your HSBC loan with the minimal Ryanair pay? or do you have another contract agreement with better pay??

SB002

planeshipcar
15th Jul 2007, 17:27
Don't forget you can do modular at Oxford as well - so they may have spent the same as any other modular and gone to Ryanair. He has not stated that he was an integrated.

ryrb737pilot
15th Jul 2007, 18:27
I actaully went through the integrated route, but students from Oxford on the modular route have also been accepted although i think the airline prefers integrated students as there are no interruptions in between the course.

I admit during the first six months the salary is very basic but once you start flying the money is very decent. My friend who was with me on the course is on a 30K salary and he has less than 100 hours jet expreince. So the salary is not as bad as some people make it out to be. I'm just gald i have a shot at a decent job with a great salary and the great thing is i'm going to get paid to a fly a jet!

-8AS
16th Jul 2007, 12:14
There is no differentiation between integrated or modular students during the selection process at Ryanair.

jolly flyer
17th Jul 2007, 10:03
RYRB737PILOT...."but students from Oxford on the modular route have also been accepted although i think the airline prefers integrated students as there are no interruptions in between the course"

Just out of curiosity.... why do you say Ryanair is more interested in intergrated students?
Did someone @ Ryanair tell you that? :ooh:

ryrb737pilot
17th Jul 2007, 21:03
JOLLYFLYER no one really told me that integrated students are prefered i just assumed that integreated students probably stand a better chance of passing the assessment although i appreciate that their is a counter argument for this point.

Ryanair accept both modular and integrated pilots so i guess they don't have a problem with it! Although i know airlines like BA wouldn't even consider a modular student. This is one of the reasons why i did the integrated route.

badboy raggamuffin
17th Jul 2007, 21:19
Anybody out there know how to apply to ryan air then? The website says that cadets should apply on line to either CAE or SAA, the two type rating providers. Both the links lead to red herring pages, the SAA pages say that you should apply online at the Ryan Air website. I am at a loss as to how I should begin the application process, any ideas?

essexboy
17th Jul 2007, 21:54
Ryanair don't give a toss whether you are integrated or modular. Most of us don't even know the difference. Ryanair don't care if you worked your ass off in Mac Donalds or got the money from Mummy and Daddy for you rating.

Horses Mouth

potkettleblack
18th Jul 2007, 12:14
Bit of initiative badboy. There are numerous ways into FR and they have all been discussed at length here on pprune. Trawl through this thread and all will be revealed.

badboy raggamuffin
19th Jul 2007, 21:36
Pottheblack, they may have all been discussed here however im not prepared to trawl through the 30 pages of ****e that constitutes this thread. As it happens initiative has since been used.

whizzer
20th Jul 2007, 18:40
I know this already has a thread but i think people might start getting bored looking throught 30 odd pages.
I did my assessment at EMA yesterday and wanted to post some details for those who are going in soon.
Firstly you are put at ease right away by the Sim assessment guy...very easy going and freindly. In the Sim brief we were told to forget about the brief we were sent as the settings were going to be slightly different. Firstly we were going to do a Liverpool Pole Hill 4 Tango dept..climb and level off at 4000'. Then steep turn. Then a QDM back to LPL and what kind of entry then fly it. Descent down to 2500' and enter the hold but straight outbound for procedure. Now we were using the NDB plates but were asked to fly the ILS. All raw data...no FD...no auto throttle. We became visual at 500' and then landed. Job done. We did this as both PF and PM.
We actually did the interview before we did the sim as these were very busy. The interview consisted of chat about you...bit of background stuff then tech questions. I had why aircraft have swept wings....whats coffin corner how do you recover from there....what is LSS at sea level with +15 degrees ( which i couldnt remember but gave him the calcualtion to work it out 38.94 X Square route of temp absolute kelvin :8)....If u were traveling london-new york then back which would be quicker and why ( explain what a jet stream is ) If in any doubt i cant recommend enough a book call " Ace the Technical Pilot Interview " by G Bristow...this book helped me no end , especially in the last few days when my head started melting with info about Ryanair etc.
A few other questions i heard from other guys...What engine does the 737-800 have...range of a 737-800....pax numbers...errors of an NDB...A few questions about V speeds and contaminated runways.
Thats all for now folks...oh and i got an email saying id passed today so im off out to spend the last money i will have for a while on a few cheap beers....good hunting !!!!!:ok:

Flying Farmer
20th Jul 2007, 19:10
Many thanks the info will come in usefull :ok:

spring_air
21st Jul 2007, 17:51
Has anyone got an assesment on the 2nd of August at EMA? If you do, please PM me.

Thanks

spring_air
21st Jul 2007, 17:54
Thanks Whizzer - it's great to finally get someone post helpful information instead of just complaining!! Anyone out there having an assesment at EMA on the 2nd of August?

first_solo
22nd Jul 2007, 12:30
If in any doubt i cant recommend enough a book call " Ace the Technical Pilot Interview " by G Bristow...this book helped me no end , especially in the last few days when my head started melting with info about Ryanair etc.

Little bit confusing did the book help you, yes or no ?? :confused:

whizzer
22nd Jul 2007, 14:15
I didnt think i had made it confusing :ugh: !!! But yes it did help....ALOT !!!!!

biggles34
23rd Jul 2007, 22:00
first of all a big thank you to whizzer
hi spring
My assessment is on the 1st, I feel that I have a lot of studying to do.

Are you doing any sim practice?

biggles

aeromec
24th Jul 2007, 15:57
oops! Ryanair scooping the bottom of the barrell. Now how do I get nominated ?

CamelhAir
24th Jul 2007, 16:24
Be advised that the latest trick of ryanair is pilots now do (unpaid) admin work. So rather than just do standbys when you are not flying, you will be in the base office doing admin work. Thought you would be off after 90o hrs in the year? no more, you'll be doing admin work. Pilots will be on check-in next.
So don't be gullible, if you want to be an admin assistant, save your €40k TR fee, get a job as a secretary and spend the money saved on hour building. You'll probably get paid more as a secretary too.
I realise that many of you would sell granny to be a below minimum wage 2 striper, but is your dream really to be an office boy?

dreamtofly
24th Jul 2007, 17:22
Hi everybody,

anyone got interview on 21st agust in EMA?

whizzer
24th Jul 2007, 18:42
Dont be too nervous about the sim assessment guys. They arent expecting you to be hot shots....just follow the brief and take notes on the plate ur given. Just remember "pitch and power"....and have fun. A steep turn will never feel the same as when performed in a 737 !!!!!! I think some practice at some joins and a few NDB or ILS approaches should see u ok.
Good luck everyone !! :ok:

trubru
25th Jul 2007, 19:44
I got a call Ryanair yesterday and a conformation of an assesment at EMA on the 5th of Sept. Exciting stuff!
Thanks for the gen so far on the interview. I'm an FO on 737-200's in Africa at the moment and it'll be awesome to start flying something with a new seat in it!:}

niko
26th Jul 2007, 23:07
PILOTS DOING ADMIN WORK?!? This is the first time I hear about it! For me it's quite funny (and scaring as well!) because I worked as an accountant for some years before starting my flight training...

What do you exactly mean when you say "admin work"? Is it even a little bit flight related (like a flight dispatcher) or is it something like being an actual accountant? :8

AND IF SO... WHY DID I CHANGE MY JOB?!:{

CamelhAir
27th Jul 2007, 11:52
Updating charts, doing amendments, that sort of thing. I hope you didn't give up a high level admin job such as accounting, spend a fortune on training and end up doing low-level admin such as amendments.

Just to recap what you are signing up to in ryanair:

-2 weeks leave per year (the rest is allocated to the 4th day of 5-4)
-900 hours flying per year
-Availability for any duties ryanair sees fit for you to perform (yes, you do sign up for this in your contract).

So lets do the maths. 100hrs per month = 9 months. Subtract 2 weeks leave and you have 2 and half months in which you can't fly and you won't be on leave. You have also agreed that you can be reassigned to other duties. So guess what, you will be doing admin work and, soon, check-in etc.

Oh and don't think you're gonna employ the usual mantra "I'm only here for a while to get hours." There are so many pilots in ryanair now that there won't be jobs to go around for everyone. The fact is most new joins will be here for a very long time. Do you really want to be doing admin work for several years as a ryanair FO.

Live the dream with ryanair. :yuk:

tali
30th Jul 2007, 13:24
Does anyone have the SIM on the 17th Agust in EMA?? write PM

Thanks..:}

Skyte
1st Aug 2007, 15:24
Hello

anyone got interview on 30th august in EMA?

Cheers

MarkColeman
1st Aug 2007, 17:05
Well thats that, Ryanair have finally gone too far. Admin work?? **** them, ill definately go and instruct for a few years to get hours rather than be abused by that shower of pricks.

Canada Goose
1st Aug 2007, 17:44
Mark,

Care to expand ? Are you suggesting that they said to you that they would only offer you working in admin ?

CG.

MarkColeman
1st Aug 2007, 18:49
misunderstanding there canada goose,

im just half way through my atpls at the minute, if whats being said about ryanair making its pilots do jobs other than jobs of a pilot, ie. "admin", then i will not consider joining ryanair when im qualified - whereas i was previously willing to consider self funding the type rating, i now would not be.

O'Leary is a great businessman, but thats going wayyy too far.

Canada Goose
2nd Aug 2007, 06:38
Funnily enough there are a whole host of reasons I wouldn't work for Ryanair, but doing some 'admin' prior to assuming a flying role wouldn't necessarily be one of them !

Good luck with your atpl's !

CG

potkettleblack
2nd Aug 2007, 07:29
Sounds like a slippery slope from here on in. Admin work now, then it will be cleaning the aircraft to get the 20 min turn arounds done, loading/unloading baggage perhaps to cut handling costs, what about collecting boarding cards as well?

All this whilst the company continues to make record profits. I would hate to see what MOL would have them doing if they were near the brink of insolvency.

Canada Goose
2nd Aug 2007, 07:58
Ahh - OK ! You're saying that doing admin work is in addition to flying duties !! In which case that's a different case !! I had assumed Mark was referring to working in a Ryanair office until a suitable training slot etc became available (similar to some Eastern FO's assuming CC duties prior to a FC role).

CG

potkettleblack
2nd Aug 2007, 08:42
I don't think that is how it is working. A previous poster said once you had done your 900 hours (possibly done in 10 months of the year) then you would get 2 months of admin work.

Air Atlantique used to offer cadetships as well involving anything from mowing the lawn to driving cars etc etc. Nothing wrong with that as they paid for your training, gave you accommodation and a unique insight into the operation as a whole.

BUT paying 30k to FR for a rating which costs them significantly less (hence a profit making activity in its own right), working for below market rates, being allocated a base at the companys whim and possibly being chopped with little or no notice if on a contract I just can't reconcile. Add to that being downgraded to clerical work and you have to ask the question where it is all heading. It can only get worse hence my supposition that before long they will be out on the ramp or worse still on the honey cart!

Canada Goose
2nd Aug 2007, 08:54
Thanks for clearing that up potkettleblack. Couldn't agree more.

It can only get worse hence my supposition that before long they will be out on the ramp or worse still on the honey cart! - Don't - you'll be giving them ideas !!! ;-)

Cg

whizzer
2nd Aug 2007, 13:56
Good luck to all those going for an interview...try not to be put off my the negative comments by certain people on here. Hey if you get in its a jet job !!! And everyone pays somewhere along the line for a type rating !!!!

As someone said....go in with ur eyes open and u wont be surprised by anything.

Laters :ok:

CamelhAir
2nd Aug 2007, 16:19
Just to clarify. The admin work is in addition to your flying duties. You are both a pilot and an office boy (girl).
If you join now, you are sticking another knife into your chosen profession. Remember that.
Just at what point does the sheer humiliation and futility of it all outweigh the perceived advantages? With the emphasis on "perceived". There's no enjoyment in this industry any more.
Ryanair pilots have almost single-handedly ruined the profession, I'm ashamed to say, and our colleagues elsewhere, rightly, have nothing but disdain for us.

INSIDEVIEW
2nd Aug 2007, 17:11
Well i can feel with all the Rookie Pilots which dream the big 737 Dream ...
I was like that too ...i also have been to EMA ...and wanted to fly for FR.

You know what ....GOD IM SOOOOO F>>> HAPPY I DIDNT JOIN THESE RIP OFF"S!!!

I earned my Job i have now ..and yes i know i was once a guy who was very positive about Ryanair...but like a few others mentioned ,everybody accepting this B....S... will be backstapping others.

For now the System works ....but there will be a time most of you "Bobby-Kids" want to see some "Eurones" for the hard work you do ....and then i guess, you will regred what you have signed a few years before ,just to fly a brandnew 737....!

Please,i understand ya all ...you want that shiny Uniform (2 stripes though) and want to run around a 737,but think twice ,u will get in in the morning ,for example in Stanstead and u will leave it there ,between that u saw spain and maybe sweden for 20 minutes..and you can bet soon or later you do the start up from outside or you do cleaning or wahtever these crazy Bstdrds are comeing up with ....

Be patient ...we Pilots are in a Position now like we havent been for a long time ...
THEY NEED US !!
So ,dont give em a Summer Special ..let em pay the Full price ....
Wait a little and they come back with Bonding ..and regular pay ...

But this will not happen if there are guys which easily flip 40K on the desk to go for a type and not even having signed a contract ....

Think .....think ....PLEASE!!!!!

:{

whizzer
2nd Aug 2007, 17:21
Leave The Company For That Ideal Job You Have Obviously Got Fixed In Your Head From Somewhere !!!!:mad::mad::mad:

CamelhAir
2nd Aug 2007, 17:28
Nail on the head there INSIDEVIEW. Very accurate post. Short-sightedness is ruining the profession.

Whizzer, I can see from your posts that you don't have the experience to validly compare the merits of one job against another. Until you do, stop shouting like a toddler. If you think ryr is typical of aviation employment, you really are sadly mistaken.

INSIDEVIEW
2nd Aug 2007, 21:51
It's a shame that the only thing a man can do for eight hours a day is work. He can't eat for eight hours; he can't drink for eight hours; he can't make love for eight hours. The only thing a man can do for eight hours is work.
William Faulkner

sam34
2nd Aug 2007, 22:34
Well I agree with INSIDEVIEW.

The companies MUST pay the Type Rating. It is logicall.
BUt, there will always be rich students (or persons who love gambling) who will pay for work. It is a fact. "c'est la vie".

We pay the course to learn how to fly a basic aircraft.
The companies chose its fleet, so they must offer us the TR.
The companies make a lot of money thanks to us and other employees.
So why we have to give them more money ?

What I can say, a few month ago, we had to pay TR for a french company.
Today, the industry is going better, the company pay TR. They need pilots.

Aviation is the futur, more and more people move through the world.
They will need pilots for a long time.

Well I don't care people who pay for TR in fact. As I said there will alaways be.

But I am sure, I don't want to give money to other rich people... :p That's sufficient with FTO...

whizzer
2nd Aug 2007, 22:38
No your right i dont have a VAST aviaition experience like im sure you have....how many thousands of hours do you have now ?? But what i do have is a background of hard work that would make you weep !!! Try working an 11 hour day full tilt with millions of pounds at stake....or try working as an instructor for 6 days a week for 16 months just to make ends meet. Then you can sit in ur ivory tower and complain as much as u like. And I will moan as much as i like...you seem to have it down to a fine art !!!

CamelhAir
2nd Aug 2007, 22:40
try not to be put off my the negative comments by certain people on here
AND
go in with ur eyes open

Regrettably this statements are mutually exclusive. Eyes open means understanding the appalling negatives to working in ryanair. I don't see anyone who actually works for them on here singing its praises. The only ones who do that are those that don't work for ryanair.
You need not be put off by these "negative comments" (poor boy doesn't like the truth it appears), but you do owe it to yourself to go in with ur eyes open. This means understanding that you will never make good money from ryanair, you will be treated appallingly, you will hate the place in a few months, you won't be able to leave as easily as you think you will when justifying it all and, worst of all, you will be undercutting the very profession.
I make no apologies for pointing this stuff. What Whizzer, as a non-professional pilot, doesn't realise is that a pilot makes decisions based on all the onformation available. This includes negative and unpleasant information. You wouldn't ignore such info in the sky, so why would you do so when evaluating your career?
Finally, Whizzer, when I and any of the rest of the "certain people" who make negative comments, make them, it is with first hand knowledge, something you don't have.

whizzer
2nd Aug 2007, 23:07
If thats the case then i suggest you do a bit of background work and work out what i do for a living before trying to pass judgement on me.
As for people moaning i have no doubt that there are moaners at every airline..as in all professions there are people who think that they are owed a living rather than working hard and improving themselves.
As an "experienced" pilot as you are im still shocked to see that if you hate your current surroundings so much why you havent taken your " experience" elsewhere !!?? Please expalin why !!

Oh and something im noticed on here even before i started my training is that people love a good moan...and why would someone who enjoys their job come on here to moan??

sam34
3rd Aug 2007, 08:34
" It is well known that O'Leary hates pilots. He is quoted as having said that "Pilots are the most cossetted group of employees in the world". Cossetted=Pampered=Well looked after=Spoilt"

:eek:

FTOChump
3rd Aug 2007, 17:52
One question. How many people 'actually' working for Ryanair are on this thing moaning about the company? What percentage of those 4,500 people? It seems like a small minority of people are moaning as they didn't go in with their eyes open as Whizzer suggests. Ryanair would prefer to have aircraft sitting on the ground at Stanstead this winterrather than flying them, as it will save money. Do you really think they are going to start paying for type ratings?

Anyone who doesn't like working for the company.......leave. It's very simple. If you have vast amounts of experience then you'll have no problems getting a 'perfect' job elsewhere.

Camel, do you really work for Ryanair?

FTOChump
3rd Aug 2007, 18:01
One other thing. Is this the Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment thread? If so shouldn't we have a "Gripes with Ryanair thread"?

INSIDEVIEW
5th Aug 2007, 11:29
well ....awhh nothing ...AMEN ..last post

Continue to destroy ,what others built!!:ugh:

whizzer
5th Aug 2007, 13:01
How is working towards your career destroying anything ??
If Ryanair stopped trading tomorrow you really think that would change the overall conditions going forward for pilots ??
The only affect would be passengers numbers would fall...thereby reducing a need for airlines....thus reducing the need for pilots !!!
I may not agree with some things about the working practices of Ryanair but they have definately shaken up the industry and brought it out of the "boys club" mentality.
But we all have our own opinions and its nice to be able to vent them..so good luck to everyone on here in what ever you do. ;)

potkettleblack
5th Aug 2007, 14:43
Don't get your logic?

If FR was to fall (which it won't as it is probably one of the most solvent companies in the world if you look at its balance sheet) then there would still be a demand from passengers. This demand would be taken up by someone else. My guess is that the demand would be dependent on the pricing structure of the remaining competing airlines. FR has a very price sensitive clientèle for the most part. Some of these punters wouldn't be able to afford or wish to pay a higher price. As for pilots well the guys with experience will always find work. Newbies might struggle to get work for a while or will have to relocate but I wouldn't have thought with all of the emerging markets that they would be out of work for to long should they so wish.

whizzer
5th Aug 2007, 16:53
As you said pot a very unlikely occurance given the profits being generated by Fr but what i was saying is that if you take the number of flights of FR out of the equation then you are going to have many passengers looking for other flights but, and this is what i was trying to get at ( maybe badly ) was that as u stated many of those flying with FR are price sensitive and would not be willing or able to pay the prices of other carries. Another consequence is that those that are willing to try FR as they are so cheap may not want to try other more expensive airlines and so decide not to fly.
On the pilot front...yes more experinced pilots would no doubt gain employment elsewhere but would also take jobs away from others and therefore mean the demand for pilots cools. I understand what you say about emerging markets but you still need to break into that market if can. As someone looking at options in that area i can tell you its not easy getting paperwork sorted out to take applications further.
But thanks for your reply...its good to see this thread has got some sense back into it...;)

petebaker47
7th Aug 2007, 11:58
Anyone starting their 737 type rating course at EMA on 13th August ?

petebaker47
7th Aug 2007, 18:42
ive just read through some of your comments on Ryanair. While you are busy writing your moan ups on here, i'll be flying jets round Europe. Yes, i understand the pay and conditions might not be the best in the world but but i'll be doing what you've all trained for.

Would a qualified solicitor expect to start work as a partner in a law firm ? Or would a teacher expect to start as a Headmaster ? NO. You have to work hard and not think you are owed a living.

Good luck waiting for the ideal job....

whizzer
7th Aug 2007, 23:46
Some sense !!!!!
It still amazes me that people would rather sit and wait for some job to come find them than go out and make their own luck.
Before everyone jumps on my back about affordability of the type rating i understand some cant do it, and I wish that things were different i really do but to those who get given the chance and still turn it down then i have no sympathy at all for you.
Too many ivory towers around me thinks !!!!
Hope to steer clear of you at 36,000 feet pete real soon ;)

petebaker47
8th Aug 2007, 08:11
cheers Whizzer,

i agree paying for the type rating isnt great but i'm sure in 3 years i will have forgotten all about it !

see you up there.

INSIDEVIEW
8th Aug 2007, 13:44
Yeah ..right ....we all sit her on the ground and Play FS2004 ....
Jebus......
:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::rolleyes:
"I have learned that things go wrong, but I do not have to go with them"

boogie-nicey
8th Aug 2007, 16:07
Just because someone decides to take a 'stance' on this whole ryanair culture of SSTR shouldn't expose them to hostile comments (apparent throughout this thread). Sure the world is full of conflicting opinions from different people based on individual circumstances but in this particular argument re. Ryanair I think that the pursuit of a judgement on the righteousness in this debate is therefore wrong and misguided, it appears that there are justifiable opinions whether you undertake the Ryanair route or not.

I'm sure there are people who regret their Ryanair 'choice' equally as other rejoice having made what they term as the better decision. What you shouldn't do however is simply follow the next sheep along the yah or nay path blindly. Consider your personal situation and not some naive "oh it'll be okay, I'm sure I'll manage"... this isn't a university course where you can have the carefree overdraft bank account philosphy and some symphathetic ear from the Student Union representive. You could find yourself in a whirlpool that you neglected to take seriously during your initial decision making.

Like any responsibility what you take today as a favour HAS to be repayed at a latter perhaps more inconvienent time in the future. Please do not be so blinkered in your approach seeking that glorious nod of approval from FR to undertake their course, look at the whole deal.

However I also applaud the numerous people that have successfully gained a place on the type rating course, I hope to be lucky too in the very near future! But as I've explained above I have sat down and really run this option through the reality filter and asked some harsh questions of what I would do or would be able to do if XXXX happened or circumstances changed for me overnight ... made me realise that I needed to be far more prepared than I was factoring for and thus led to a delay on my applying...
Good luck peeps... :ok:

Alicia.C
8th Aug 2007, 19:07
Great thread. Is there anyone here who initally failed the Ryanair assessment at EMA, but subsequently passed after reassessment at either EMA or Dublin? I believe most (if not all) that fail are told they can reapply after 12 months, but is this policy strict, because I know of someone who was reassessed after only half that time, and there are a few posts around that suggest a much quicker reassessment at Dublin after failure at EMA. Any experiences here? Would love to know.

Thanks guys. :ok:

CamelhAir
9th Aug 2007, 00:14
How striking, yet so usual. My credentials are questioned by those who disagree. Never, note by those in ryr, as they know the truth, but by those who don't want to know.
Why not leave, like you geniuses suggest? Because, unlike most posters here, I see the big picture. It's called situational awareness.
So, once again I'll explain. It's very simple. Ryanair undercut everyone else. Everyone else is forced to dumb down conditions to compete. If ryr continue to do so, and are allowed to do so by its pilots, everyone else will either have to compete or die. So we will be left with all airlines offering appalling conditions. You can run temporarily, but most of you are young, so it will catch you long before you reach retirement. Better to stay in ryr and fight now to stop the rot.
You may say, never mind, I'm onyl here for hours before finding a "better" job, but the reality is that by coming here, you are helping to undercut those very jobs you aspire to. Geddit?

Petebaker47, you display a fundamental misunderstanding of the industry. A lawyer, doc etc, gets paid more with experience because they can provide a better service. In aviation, the management see only one thing. Does he/she pass the checks or not? Is he/she safe? In ryr eyes, whether you have 500 hours or 5000, you are doing the exact same thing, and therefore worth the same. All pilots in every company are of the same ability (they're not of course, but there's no measureable metric) so hence we can not differentiate in terms of service provided (like a doctor or lawyer). Thus the pay in one company affects the pay everywhere. You, as a 200hr FO, are doing the exact same job as 7 year BA, KLM or EI FO. But his ability to earn good money is being undermined because you are willing to do the same job, and carry pax that might otherwise have gone on the aforementioned carriers, for a fraction of what he is earning. You may wish to join his airline, but by the time you do so, they will have been forced to cut their pay to compete with what you have been doing up til now. So you won't gain and vicious cycle of degradation continues. It's simple economics, an understanding of which is vital for those wishing to enter this industry.
I also am staggered by how little worth you place on the responsibility you wish to take on. 737's are not like you toy PS2. They are big fast and dangerous and thus you should expect to be remunerated properly. Your analogy to new teachers and lawyers suggest you misunderstand the nature of the role you seek.

How is working towards your career destroying anything ??

By accepting derisory t&c's, you are destroying the ability of other professional pilots to make a good living. See above to learn why. When the fun of flying a Boeing wears off in about 4 months and you realise that you are facing a career of poverty, come back, read this and you will know why such a bleak future awaits.

Try working an 11 hour day full tilt with millions of pounds at stake....or try working as an instructor for 6 days a week for 16 months just to make ends meet.

:rolleyes: So??? Do you think this will make you immune from being treated like sh1t by ryanair? Having put all that great work in, do you really think being treated worse than a bus driver, being shown no respect whatsoever and being paid appallingly is a just reward? Will you be happy with that for the rest of your career?
And if you think you are facing great riches, reflect on where salaries have gone. In the early-mid 90's, a ryr skippers basic was about IR£60,000 (approx €76k). Now mick wants dublin skippers on €66k basic. A DROP in nominal terms of 10k in 10-15 years. What about in real terms??? So just project that forward another 10 years and see where you'll be. Particularly as you have shown you are willing to work for f**k all.

whizzer
9th Aug 2007, 13:15
Firstly on a personal note i believe it was your good self who doubted my credentials camel suggesting i was " non professional pilot" thus falling into the trap of assuming rather than checking...im sure thats something thats taught from a very basic level of flight training !!
You economics just dont add up. Im not saying ryanair are the best payers out there but im pretty sure they are not the worst either. Its been shown in many other sectors that joe public like cheap..affordable products, be that airline seats or tee shirts. You cant get away from the fact that Ryanair have been successfull in what was a dwindling market by offering what the public want. If this means other carries have to cheapen their costs to compete then so be it. Id rather see that than an industry pricing itself out the reach of most people.
I applaud you if you are prepared to stay and try and stop the rot but why not encourage others to join ur fight at ryanair rather than suggesting they go elsewhere??
As for your worth at ryanair..if your argument runs true about not caring if u have 500 or 5000 hours why then does your pay increase when you have acculmated 500....1500 etc hours on type ?? Why then does your pay increase with time in service...just like every other industry? How do you know those people that might be ryanair pax would have gone to other carries...again it comes down to cost. I beleive there are many pax out there who only fly as much as they do because it is cheap. Just check out some of the other forums on here and read peoples comments on the cheap flights they are getting.
I take the responsibility very seriously....oh and i have a ps3 not a ps2 !! But then i take every flight i do with caution...so whether it be in a 737 (soon) or a 150.
And no i am not immune from anything but im a realist. I have seen many jobs in the uk aviation industry go to foreign pilots who are hour building before heading home without a chance in hell of me going to their country and getting a job. How fair is that?? But thats how the industry works. The industry is a completely different animal than it was in the 1990s and its time for people to adapt. Lets be honest here...its not the worst job in the world is it?? You could be dealing with sick and dying people all day or sweeping the streets...so lets be a bit more cheerful....:)

boogie-nicey
9th Aug 2007, 14:32
Well said Whizzer :ok:

potkettleblack
9th Aug 2007, 15:12
I think you have been seduced by the FR spin and hype. The FACT is that as a pilot in FR your renumeration is less than it was 5 years ago and when you spend any amount of time in the airline it will drop in REAL terms. Note I said renumeration and NOT pay. With FR you need to be very careful to avoid headline figures and get into the detail to actually see what it is you will earn. Believe anything from MOL at your peril. Sure you might get more pay with 1,000 hours than with 500 but I guarantee you that you would have gotten more 5 years ago. And that was when the airline wasn't nearly as profitable as it is now.

Each year MOL dreams up a new scheme of giving with one hand and then taking two back. You are working longer hours for the money you get and soon you will be working in an office in the 2-3 months that you can't fly as your hours are maxed out. After the office work is done your guess is as good as anyones as to what duties you could be allocated. Baggage handling or check in perhaps if your lucky. Play up and you might be cleaning the aircraft or emptying the honey cart.

FR is one of the worlds most profitable businesses. It has approximately 1bn in cash. There is absolutely no reason for them to be treating their staff in this manner yet the vast majority of pilots in FR allow it to happen.

The sad reality is that the T&C's are constantly being eroded elsewhere due to the goings on within FR. Our airlines are constantly comparing themselves to FR and attacking our pension (even though in surplus) and pay. If you think that you can jump and join our outfits then think again. There will already be thousands of FR pilots with many more hours at the head of the queue and not that many jobs to go around.

Believe it or not there are many airlines around that will pay you a fair wage, a pension, loss of licence insurance, annual medical, give you a carpark, accommodate you when based at an outstation, give you a crew meal, bottles of water, cups of tea, pay for your type rating, roster you for work and pay you for your annual OPC's and most importantly treat you with respect. You will find that pay scales are published for all to see and that there is complete transparency over who gets paid what and for how many years service.

FR thankfully is the exception to the rule in many regards but who knows for how long. I wonder whether the time will ever come when the training captains/recruiters out there will start a backlash against those FR pilots who choose to do nothing so that you can't ever leave?

diamond1
9th Aug 2007, 15:35
Anyone know what profile ryan air are doing at the moment i.e leeds, liverpool or prestwick?

jonjon
9th Aug 2007, 18:37
Hi,

I'm unfortunately in no position to comment as I do not work for RYR and am an inexperinced pilot who has just received his blue book.
The conversation really is going into some depth in terms of the damage done to the industry as a whole, and how badly you are treated, etc...
The one thing to bear in mind: where do you go once you have just obtained your fATPL? Wait 12 months knocking at all the doors hoping onemight open? Fork out an extra 6k and do an intructor rating and then earn 13k being treated like dirt? Do air taxi? Get a job for a small turbo pro outfit? The fact is all these options guarantee absolutely nothing and are financially not making much sense either as some of the TP operators ask us to pay for the TR.
I would love to be able to turn down a job offer by RYR but the reality is, what else should I do? It takes an extra investment, true, but so does being a FI, and that would be to fly a PA28 around Kent.
I'm 30, have worked in different industries and am not living with mum and dad. I am married and a child on the way, I need to work, flying a job. I have sent about 50 CVs in 3-4 weeks, not a single positive response, not complaining, I was expecting as much. But RYR did call, prospect of a job, start of a career, and all of a sudden I'm thinking "should I turn it down and just wait for some hypothetical company to offer me a job in few months?".
CVs sent were not to BA, Virgin, Qantas, and Cathay Pacific, they were to many TP in eastern and western europe. No response...

They treat you like dirt, it is wrong, I know, but I would have a job, ok, I would have to repay 20k to the bank, but I have job, flying.

Camel, you cannot blame the wannabes for the drop in the T&C in the industry, it is up to local governements to allow companies to employ staff under poor conditions. A Ryanair would never exist in Sweden, Germany, France. To improve the condition where you work (I do not mean you personnaly), it is not up to the new up and coming staff, it is up to the experienced workforce too.
I really appreciate the heads up you give all of us, but not sure it will make any difference, people want to work, they want to fly, and trust me, right now RYR are the only ones calling...

JJ

fade to grey
9th Aug 2007, 19:04
Ha,ha,ha,

I love these threads.....the old hands tell it like they see it is at ryan, and the new boys defend it like crazy as they all still have their hormonal surge about flying their first jet , ah bless 'em.

I'll take a balanced middle view - great first job, wouldn't wanna work for them forever.

Philpaz
9th Aug 2007, 21:46
Dont think its as much defending them as defending the decision to go to them. And when you get told all through training to take the first job that comes, then who can blame them. After all a flying job is a flying job and i think people would be just as enthusiastic about going to them if they were a TP operator. Its not just about jets, its about flying full stop. And if RY are recruiting the most then it stands to reason that newbies are gonna go to them. I for one (once i've finished) wouldn't turn any job down, wether it be RY or a flying dustbin in Kazakstan. You have to remember that us newbies are still chasing a dream, but we also hold a grasp on reality and an ounce of common sense. I wish i was in a position to sit back and choose an airline! As it stands, i would expect a senior pilot in the airline i joined to take me under his wing and in return we could fight the T and C battle together, however it seems that all they'll do is point the finger of blame at me for joining them in the first place and god forbid i pay for my own TR. I wonder, how did the T and C's get so bad while us newbies were still in the factory?

whizzer
9th Aug 2007, 23:25
I hear what your saying Pot but i wasnt with Ryanair 5 years ago....all i know is what im gonna be earning not what i could have. And a valid point made by Phil...as a "newbie" just joining how is it our fault that t&cs have got so bad.
Fade...your right...the thought of finally getting to where i have worked for 4 years to get to is very exciting...there is only so much excitement you can get teaching middle aged men how to stall a 150 :p....although the slingsby that just missed me yesterday got the old heart pumping a little quicker !!!
Jon...good luck with ryanair if you go for it. I passed the assesment a few weeks back so drop me a line if u want some info on that.
Diamond...my assesment was liverpool pole hill 4 tango dept....and ils approach back at liverpool. Drop me a message if you want more info.
Happy hunting those who hunt and safe flying those who fly...everyone else..eerrrr good night !!:ok:

petebaker47
10th Aug 2007, 07:56
well said Fade. Totally agree.

For my assesment i did the Pole Hill 4T. Few questions on jet streams, critical engine and a bit on approach plates. really good chaps who help you through the sim session. good luck.

Alicia.C
10th Aug 2007, 19:37
Hi guys!

Further to my last post, has anyone here been reassessed by Ryanair?

Thank you.

Alicia.

Night-flyer
11th Aug 2007, 18:30
Hi guys,

i've the sim ride check with Fr at the 29 but in the documentation that they sent me all the plates are unreadble... very bads copy...

anyone of you have idea where I can download it??

anyone can tell me which engine the 73/800 in Fr is using?

any advice for the selections??:}

thanks

whizzer
12th Aug 2007, 10:08
Good luck for your assesment !!
The 737-800 uses the CFM 56-7B Engine
As for the Jepp plates the copies they send out are crap but you need to find a flying school who have a copy and you can photocopy them. I looked online and coundlt find any i could download.
Somewhere in this thread are some notes from me as well as others referring to possible questions. There is a great book i used and others have recommended as well. Its called "Ace the Technical interview" by G Bristow. I found it very very helpful to brush up on my tech stuff that id forgotten since finishing my licence.
If you cant find any of the questions drop me a line and i will dig them out for you.
Whizz

INSIDEVIEW
12th Aug 2007, 10:33
hey ..how much is your Uniform!:}:}:}

Just kidding ..good day ya all

whizzer
12th Aug 2007, 12:24
How much is it??
Also does anyone know of any good aviation accountants that i can contact. Might as well see what i can claim back from the tax man. Anyone here set themselves up as a limited company to try and claim back vat on training and on uniforms etc ???
cheers :ok:

jonjon
12th Aug 2007, 20:41
Not Jeppesen, but if you need charts for free, best thing is to register on the NATS web site (free):
http://www.ais.org.uk/
Once logged in, just follow the "UK AIP" from the "Publication" menu, you go through 2 or 3 pages and then click on "Aerodrome & Heliport Index - Specific".

You'll find eveything there, it is not the Jeppesen stuff but just as valid!

JJ

CamelhAir
18th Aug 2007, 20:01
The chickens are coming home. Check out what's happening to the EI pilots. Yeah, that's right, Aer Lingus. One of the "good", "career" airlines all you ryanair wannabe fodder are intent on going to after you have bent over and gotten your few hours in ryanair.
But, surprise, there's a spanner in the works. In order to compete with the sh1t t&c's of ryanair, EI are in fact planning to do ryanair to their own current, and future, pilots.
Who's next? BA, Tommyfly, Lufty, AF, KLM??? Where you gonna go then???
The ryanair pilots, both current and wannabes, have made the bed. Now the rest are being forced to lie on it.
Give up th dream of taking ryanair sh1t and moving on. There ain't go be any better.
RIP Professional Airline Pilot

whizzer
19th Aug 2007, 09:28
I dont intend going to Aer Lingus thanks !!!

So who is to blame ??? You camel ?? A little contridiction in your posts...you are "seeing the bigger picture" from the inside then say you blame all the "current and wannabe RYR pilots".....make your mind up....or is it sour grapes ?? :cool:

Gnirren
19th Aug 2007, 10:19
It all boils down to simple economics at the end of the day. It doesn't matter at this point who's to blame, what matters is that companies everywhere are learning from FRs business model and they will adopt it to save money. More worrying they will adopt it to survive. One dangerous strength of ryanair is their ability to make money on other things than ticket prices which means they can lower their fares to the point where most other companies would have to fly with a loss to compete. They will mimic ryanair to make more money, but before long simply to stay in business and that's a simple fact. So as camel says, this is the route we're all set down and I see nothing changing it for now.

When you join now on a SSTR you have to realise that 3-4 years down the road new joiners will be funding their rating AND linetraining with a lower salary to boot. So it will continue, but I think the creep of such practices into other companies has been slow. I don't doubt for a second that it's about to take off properly though and so it's not incorrect to assume that the "get shafted for experience and move to a real airline" is not going to be an option in the future. When that will be I don't know but that's where we're heading. There will not be a shortage of people aching to do your job for less money than you get, and that is the problem we ALL face.

Disregarding this with comments about sour grapes is foolish and ignorant.

Any newbie who's reviwed his or her options and feel that a SSTR is the best route to take by all means do so, after all it's hard to compete in a market where so many other applicants do. But, realise that in my mind the REAL bill for this move will come years later.

potkettleblack
19th Aug 2007, 10:27
Actually I think what the Southwest/Ryanair model has allowed other companies to do is to use it as an excuse to cut costs. Companies now say we have to compete with FR on this and on that and therefore we need to cut costs. In reality it is far far easier to cut costs to generate profits than it is to actually grow revenues, yields and profit. That would involve branding, proper marketing, and understanding what it is that your customers want which costs a lot of money in itself. The easy fix is to chop out costs. Of course it is only a relatively short term fix for most companies. By the time the secret is out the CEO would have moved on to pastures new and the workers that are left will be on inferior terms and conditions or have moved on themselves and the place will be full of transients willing to work in the short term to make a buck.

TheWrightBrother&Son
19th Aug 2007, 10:52
Hi all,

Does anyone go to EMA for the Ryanair assessment on 7th september?

Maybe I have to rent a car from Stansted...

CamelhAir
19th Aug 2007, 11:08
Whizzer, don't flatter yourself that my post was directed at you alone :rolleyes:
If you think that this malaise will stop with AL alone, I suggest you think about it a little more. Gnirrens post accurately sums up why.
If you wish to enter the world of aviation, you do yourself a disservice in not being fully cogniscent of the facts.
The facts remain that the value is being swiftly removed from this profession and the places in which to find value are getting fewer, and the the value ever smaller, all the time.
I understand that all you want now is a shiny jet and shiny stripes. I just hope that when the time comes that you expect correct remuneration for the job that you won't be too disappointed when you won't find it.
This isn't sour grapes, it's the reality.
And yeah, I do blame myself for whats happened, we're all responsible in ryr. I am trying to reverse the damage through promoting unity and a union response, as well as pointing out the pitfalls to the unaware (i.e. you and most wannabes). What are you doing to stop the rot?

whizzer
20th Aug 2007, 12:33
Yes other airlines are following RYR model because guess what....it works !!! I dont see many other airlines with passenger numbers at the rate of RYR. Who else out there in europe is ordering and taking deliverly of some many new aircraft and so offering places for new pilots. Or should the industry stay like it was with airlines going bust every other week just to keep workers happy. The role of management is to run a company as best it can to deliver the best profits for shareholders ( you have them to thank for your new shiny aircraft !!), and yes that can come at the expense of the staff. But that doesnt just happen in the airline industry. You can look at most other sectors and see thats what happens everywhere.

Camel....you made a statement that everyone who joins wants to go Aer Lingus...i dont...you were wrong...thats why i mentioned it thanks :ok:

So how did you manage to get into RYR?? Direct entry??? Or did you pay for yourself too??? Im interested to know. And for stopping the rot..as you said yourself i cant do anything from the outside so im getting inside....anyway i can !!!

CamelhAir
20th Aug 2007, 13:21
Whizzer, you'll get in alright. Your attitude is so company orientated it's delightful for a manager to hear. The important thing is that you'll always be happy here. Why would you ever want to earn decent money as long as the shareholders are making ever more profit? I sure hope the day never comes when you feel like being decently remunerated for your efforts.
BTW, Easy and SWA also provide hundreds of pilots with job and are growing at a fast rate, yet manage to treat staff ok. Still, these airlines, by your criteria are not very successful.
Or should the industry stay like it was with airlines going bust every other week just to keep workers happy.
I don't recall ryr doing this when it treated its staff ok. Or Easy. Or SWA. Or BA. Or AL. etc etc. Maybe ryanair really did spend the late 90's going bust and I just missed it :rolleyes:
Are you sure you aren't management, as you seem to have bought into the idea that it's necessary to treat everyone like sh1t to be successful.
Camel....you made a statement that everyone who joins wants to go Aer Lingus...i dont...you were wrong...thats why i mentioned it thanks
Quite clearly AL is an analogy of what's either happening or going to happen. The point is that the industry is declining fast.
So how did you manage to get into RYR??
DE. I happen to believe that once the CPL/IR is secured that one should then be paid for ones services if delivering commercial gain for a company.
YOU are providing THEM with a service, not vice versa.

BTW, IATA predictions, dating from the early 90's, of European traffic through the 2000's predicted almost exactly the traffic figures we have seen. The only difference is that the loco's have taken traffic that would otherwise have been on the flag carriers. Which rather scotches the argument that ryr alone are creating airline pilot jobs. In fact, as the older carriers had more crew per aircraft, the reality is that ryr have lowered the number required that would otherwise have been. So we have less pilots on substantially lower money than otherwise would have been. The late 80's and 90's were also boom times for hiring, but on hugely better terms and conditions than similarly experienced people are on now.
Ryanair has f**ked the profession and feeding the machine furthers that f**ckin. That's the reality.

whizzer
21st Aug 2007, 00:16
I think i will be happy.....just as anyone who has worked hard at anything and achieved what they set out to do would feel. Thats not to say I plan to be RYR my whole life. But its horses for courses. Im sure there are plenty of pilots within RYR who are happy with what they have...if not im sure there would be a mass exodus to these other airlines who are "booming" too.
If Easy are such a good place to work then why are there threads on here about pilots lobbying strike action over T&Cs??
You obviously havent read your own company history
After three years of rapid growth in aircraft, routes and intense price competition with Aer Lingus and British Airways, Ryanair accumulates £20m in losses and goes through a substantial restructuring source Ryanair website.
And no im not management...but i do understand that you have to be competitive in a saturated market to succeed.
Your stance on what should happen post CPL/IR being secured is, as im sure many would agree a nice idea in principle but is very out dated in the current post 911 market. Whether you pay up front for your TR or have it taken from your wages you pay for it whatever happens so why should it be so bad if you decide to take one route over the other ?? Im sure you think airlines should be out there doing sponsorships too but again the market forces dictate what the market does and right now they dont need to.
I do think its difficult to use past numbers as a guide to where we are now with the industry. Since these numbers you talked about were predicted in the early 90s the world has seen two major conflicts in the Gulf. The rise in extremism. 911. The opening up of routes all over the world. The combining of many airlines into strategic partnerships. There is no way the IATA could have predicted these events and so no one knows what the industry would be like with or without RYR or EASY or any other loco for that matter.
What i am staggered by though is that after making your own decision to join RYR why you are so anti RYR. You MUST have had all the facts and figures before joining as well as being in a stronger position as you were DE but still you joined!!?? Maybe im missing why you joined or something but to take the line that RYR are fooking the industry then why JOIN in the first place or STAY now!!???????? :ok:

CamelhAir
21st Aug 2007, 23:05
I think i will be happy.....just as anyone who has worked hard at anything and achieved what they set out to do would feel.

You are absolutely correct in this statement. You will be very happy if you get a job, as well you might be, it's a long hard road, I wish you luck.
What I am trying to get across is that it is the very effort you have put in that will likely lead to disillusionment. You should understand this. The very fact that you have struggled so hard makes it so galling when you realise that you're treated like sh1t and you will never be remunerated in accordance with the job you do and the effort you put in to get there.

if not im sure there would be a mass exodus to these other airlines who are "booming" too.

There are more pilots than good jobs out there. Hence the point that it's getting ever harder to escape the ryr "effect". This is having, and will continue to have, tragic effects on the salary level and general conditions of all pilots.

If Easy are such a good place to work then why are there threads on here about pilots lobbying strike action over T&Cs??

They are striking over T&C levels that are the envy of ryr pilots. Any other pilot force in the world would have never let ryr conditions get to where they are. We did and the rest of the industry is reaping the whirlwind. Easy are trying to prevent their conditions going the way of ryr. They were once worse, they unionised, they got better, now they want to keep em that way.

Your 1990 quote is missing the point. In the late 1990's ryr was very profitable AND very well paid.

What i am staggered by though is that after making your own decision to join RYR why you are so anti RYR.

I am not anti-ryr, i am anti-ryr conditions. I won't discuss my own ryr career path as I have no wish to identify myself. Safe to say, it's different to what yours will be. As I have explained to you already, I am still in ryr as there is no point in running, for the crap to catch up later. If its not stopped here, there's no future in flying, and I, for one, will change career.

Good luck whizzer, don't say you weren't warned though when the reality dawns.

whizzer
22nd Aug 2007, 09:41
Thanks for your good wishes camel...sounds like we are getting cordial !!! :eek:
As for disillusionment, i think that can come in every job...believe me my last career left me with a very poor taste in my mouth. ( And it was a career that many would see as a dream job !!!!) I have no doubt that the job will be hard and tiring and stressful but i see it as a challenge. I didnt come into the industry thinking it would be easy..i think the first day of groundschool doing my ATPLs would have told me that if i didnt know already.
I understand your point that there are more pilots than jobs but how many of those pilots are actually suitable to the jobs that are avialible. Most airlines i see on ppjn or futurepilots websites are looking for pilots...both FOs and DEC. Im not saying that there are positons for everyone but from all the sourses i talk to and read about this is about the strongest the industry has been since 911.
As for T&Cs of RYR over other airlines then the only people to blame are the current and past pilots who accepted these conditions....and NOT the new pilot wannabes who have decided to push their way into an industry that rewards who you know not what you know. You original quote way back a few pages ago was targeting the cadet pilots and their willingness to pay for a type rating when EVERYONE some how at some time will pay for a type rating..whether thats up front or by having money taken from your salary for 2,3,4,5 years !!
Im still surprised your happy to sit and suffer these T&Cs if they are so bad rather than move and make your own life and conditions more tolerable. With the growing number of low houred pilots entering the system Im sure the industry needs pilots with experience like yourself to stay, but why martyr yourself and your career at an airline that doesnt meet your expectations.
Oh and by the way......you never know we might be sitting next to each other some day soon !!! Maybe we can discuss this over a cheap coffee !! :ok:

boogie-nicey
22nd Aug 2007, 15:15
Surely the bond that Brookfields put you on will prevent you from leaving willy-nilly so to speak. As a matter of interest how much do you have to pay if you wish to resign before the 5 year duration of the bond period?

5 years is alot of time and a significant part of anyone's career thus to be constantly fatigued and scrape by financially it's any wonder why people put themselves through such an ordeal. Nevertheless I am very open minded to it all and feel that there are always 2 (very valid) sides to every story. Surely in that 5 year period fresh wannabes could raise the money for one of those line training programs thus have the 100/300 hr of flight time without the debt and aim for a more reputable carrier. Maybe I'm just being niave.

jonjon
22nd Aug 2007, 16:13
Could any one in the know post the content of this contract?
I have an interview with RYR in a few weeks but I know that whatever the outcome, I would not agree to anything until I get to see in writing the conditions in which they might employ me (whether permanent contract or contractor), surely it makes sense to have a close look at this before paying for the TR, by then it is too late, you are commited.
J

lefteris1981
23rd Aug 2007, 11:36
Any more details about the sim and for the personal interview?
what kind of question was the personal and technical questions?if you have jet experience is different?

Kempus
23rd Aug 2007, 18:22
Hey folks,

took the plunge, things are too quiet. I'll be attending assesment on the 18th Sept! Anyone else on that date? Maybe looking at sharing cost of a room?

kempus

whizzer
26th Aug 2007, 08:15
To those going for an interview good luck....i did start another thread about my experiences on my interview and sim check but its been merged into this thread....so it kinda looks confusing. IM me if you want some of the details again.

As for the contract i am waiting on mine to arrive and will post any relevent parts when i see it. From what i have heard from guys i know that have started on a Brookfield contract there is no bond but you do have a 3 month notice period. You will lose about 4.5 Euros an hour from your pay to pay for your sim time going forward.

Laters :ok:

Wannabe Airways
27th Aug 2007, 17:05
Hey guys.

I'm now commencing the selection process for "cadet" (280h newbie) with Ryanair. Having just reviewed the careers section of the website I've read the following news posted toward the top of the page:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?sec=careers&ref=10002

"Our Non 737 rated First Officer training courses for 2007 are now fully subscribed. The next training course may commence in April 2008". :bored:

Then a couple of paragraphs below it states:

"We are constantly recruiting Cadets. Courses for Cadets take place on a monthly basis at Ryanair approved schools".

Firstly, am I right in saying that there are still places for cadets. ie non rated non first officers?

Secondly, If that is the case, why would they freeze the type ratings for experienced F/O's over us cadets? Is it not the same course? We both have to have a TR and they would have more experience to offer?

(No cynics please, I understand everything about capitalism and the desire to make profit. := I just can't see it on this one though?).

Thirdly, the website states that guys with MCC should just apply direct to SAS or CAE. (Links provided). However the SAS website says if you haven't done the MCC with them then apply in the first instance to Ryanair? There seems to be an online application on the CAE website. Does everybody just use this one then? I was told the other day that if you pass selection then Ryanair decide which school you go to anyway?

Enlighten me! :cool:

Night-flyer
1st Sep 2007, 07:39
hi there...

I've the sim check the 29 2 days ago, but still no answers.. did i fail it?:{

How long does it take to get info??:uhoh:

beaver111
2nd Sep 2007, 09:43
Hi

Is anyone out there starting the RYR Type Rating on the 15th October. I'm looking to share some accommodation in Amsterdam. If anyone has any ideas PM me.

Has anyone else done the TR and found a good place to stay while at CAE, Any info would be great folks.

Mile_Hi
2nd Sep 2007, 20:35
Wannabe Airways,

The cadet scheme is still open.
You can apply to either CAE or SAA or both pressumably. CAE has the online application. You should send your CV to Stephan with a covering email stating you wish to apply for SAA.
You choose which school you wish to train at after you pass the assessment.
Good luck.

whizzer
3rd Sep 2007, 14:00
Correct me if im wrong but you dont get a choice where you do your type rating. They offer you a place on the next one, ( they offered me SAS ) either SAS or CAE and you either take it or adios. I would be interested if someone knows different !! :ok:

EspeinIsDifferent
4th Sep 2007, 20:07
I believe they currently give you the option to swith from a Brookfield contract to a Ryan one by paying €2,500

As far as I know, from current pilots at Ryanair, they are very happy with their Brookfield contracts

And I acknowledge that potentially, personal experience of different individuals will be different, but all I can say from Brookfield is that they did a pretty good job at the Open Day last weekend and that they seem a very efficient organisation - sure someone may have had a bad experience with them, but my personal experience is, up to now, excellent

YYZ
5th Sep 2007, 08:55
I believe they currently give you the option to swith from a Brookfield contract to a Ryan one by paying €2,500

Not heard of this one, My understanding is that you can go from a Ryanair to a Brookfield but not the other way around, however this is also subject to approval.

If of course Ryanair want new employees then they can change there minds? But I don't think Brookfield would be happy with that. Remember, Brookfield & Ryanair work together in a partnership, they do not (should not) work against each other.

YYZ

EspeinIsDifferent
5th Sep 2007, 13:45
It is this way, or at least this is a possible way (maybe not the only one) - they told us so in the Open Day

Besides, it is not that strange - Brookfield helps in the recruiting process, and in exchange, if you want to swith to Ryanair contract, you have to pay them in compensation - makes total sense to me

It is not they are working "against" Ryan - just the opposite: as they collaborate so closely, they give the possibility of changing contracts (or at least, they are starting to do so in the new ones)

YYZ
6th Sep 2007, 09:57
OK, I think I get where you are going now, though you may be able to change from Brookfield to Ryanair (with or without a charge?), the chances are very very slim, Ryanair have not been known to offer this to many, Im not saying it does not happen, but it is rare, the other way around happens a bit though...

Fireboy
10th Sep 2007, 15:18
Hi all,

I have a Ryanair sim check and interview on the 27th September, what sort of things can I expect in the tech interview, questions etc?

Fireboy

mark_one
11th Sep 2007, 18:32
Hi guys,

got an interview/sim check comming up in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have the latest information on questions to be asked during the interview?

Which sid's can be expected at EMA if flown from Liverpool, Leeds Bradford and Prestwick, or will it be a straight out departure?

Cheers,
M1

EspeinIsDifferent
12th Sep 2007, 00:51
Did you guys having an interview attend to the open day of the 1st september or were u called for something different?

Fireboy
13th Sep 2007, 13:51
I went to the Open day

YYZ
13th Sep 2007, 16:16
I don't understand???
If you went to the open day how can you still be asking what to expect on your assesment? All was explained during the open day?
YYZ

tinmouse
14th Sep 2007, 16:14
Hi All,

Anyone have any new data on what is asked on the interview and details about the assessment in the simulator etc

Thank you.
Tinmouse.

Fireboy
14th Sep 2007, 18:31
YYZ try and understand, I know it must be hard for you:rolleyes:

I just wanted to know what questions have been asked in previous interviews, at the open day they only gave a couple of examples. I bet you didn't complain when looking at feedback for the atpl ground school.:oh:

YYZ
15th Sep 2007, 16:25
Great comeback but my question was genuine, I too was at the open day and any question asked by potential cadets was answered fully, during the interview any question will/can be asked, but I know Ryanair pointed all in the correct place to focus attentions.

Surely you cannot expect the interview to be given to you on a plate, you must expect to do some preparation for the assessment day?

Try to be aware some people are willing and able to try help you if you give them a chance, pseudonyms do tend to make people act in a way they would not normally should they know the person they are talking too and/or the other person knows them....

YYZ

whizzer
17th Sep 2007, 13:07
All those going to EMA for assesments soon. I went and passed and start my TR in a months time.....for those looking for info...somewhere on this thread i did post all about the questions i was asked and what dept i did in the sim.

Fingers crossed for you all

Whizzer :ok:

EspeinIsDifferent
17th Sep 2007, 14:13
hi whizzer! congrats! when are you starting the TR? CAE or SAS?

btw, one question - I went to an open day (1st september) and still haven't got any answer from them (in the form of a date for an assesment) - did u go to any open day?

has anyone else going to this open day been called for an assesment?

(unsure if I should follow-up by email with Ryanair guys or better wait patiently till they call me - or not...)

just for me to know, would be great if u could tell me if you guys that also went to the 1-2 sep open day have already been called...

PB4
17th Sep 2007, 16:05
EspeinIsDifferent, I'm in the same situation as yours, I'm the best pilot in the world :8, went to the open-day and have hear nothing yet... I'm sure they'll call though, not sure how you can differenciate 200hr guys just from cv..

EspeinIsDifferent
17th Sep 2007, 17:48
thanks for the support PB4 - glad to hear that someone is in the same situation - I have a friend that has already been called, and I was starting to get a bit desperate...

will let u know if I get any news, ok?

(btw, my friend was called on a Saturday!)

whizzer
17th Sep 2007, 23:46
I start as SAS in early Nov.

I didnt go to the open day..i sent my cv to CAE ages ago and got a call from Ryanair about 2 months ago. Went to the assesment in July and found out the next day i had been sucessful.

As for calling them to find out what did they say at the open day??? If they said they would contact you then let them do that. If they didnt say anything maybe a light reminder by phone that your still interested might help..Good luck whatever u do :ok:

EspeinIsDifferent
18th Sep 2007, 07:53
thanks wizzer! will be a bit patient then, hope they call us at some point... early nov? that's almost now, good luck too!

whizzer
18th Sep 2007, 11:54
Thanks Esp...my course starts late oct in EMA but i dont actually go out to SAS till the 2nd week in Nov....:eek::eek::eek:BBBRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!
Any other questions just drop me a line...cheers :ok:

EspeinIsDifferent
20th Sep 2007, 11:25
hey PB4 - any news from these guys? I'm already out of nails, bitten all'em...

starting to wonder if I should put a nice call asking if... (well, that's the prob, what to ask: "hey guys, you were gonna call me?")

anyway, just wanted to know if you were still in this situation... and if anyone else is...

(I saw there is a new open day in november, so I assumme they should call us before starting the calls to convene for that open day...)

thanks guys!

Herc708
20th Sep 2007, 11:53
How does FR pay compared to EI ? From the EI website, the pay for pilots of the (potential) new Belfast base is given below so it should be easy for any RYR pilot to compare and give us an update. What would a Point 1 FO for RYR earn ?

****FO****Captain
1 £40,000 £76,000
2 £41,200 £78,280
3 £42,400 £80,560
4 £43,600 £82,840
5 £44,800 £85,120
6 £46,000 £87,400
7 £47,200 £89,680
8 £48,400 £91,960
9 £49,600 £94,240
10 £50,800 £96,520

£8,300 Avg Annual Sector Pay

PB4
20th Sep 2007, 15:39
that's the numbers I figured:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1624/ryrxe8.jpg
Taxes are UK taxes and of course don't include any pension or health insurance which you will have to pay for as you are 'self-employed'

inner
20th Sep 2007, 15:52
This 1685, is that euro or pounds??

whizzer
21st Sep 2007, 00:31
I would be very surprised if you only did 400 hours a year with FR !!! From what i hear you will easily make your 900 a year no problems. As for command though i think that is a min of 3 years.

Correct me if im wrong :ok:

EspeinIsDifferent
21st Sep 2007, 09:56
EspeinIsDifferent, I'm in the same situation as yours, I'm the best pilot in the world :8, went to the open-day and have hear nothing yet... I'm sure they'll call though, not sure how you can differenciate 200hr guys just from cv..

Hi PB4, how are you? just wanted to know if you had received "the call"... or still waitin like me...

(or if any other in this situation...)

thanks!

MorningGlory
21st Sep 2007, 11:04
My God I feel sorry for you guys. I know what it's like at the start, FR are a bunch of money grabbing pikeys.

Earning less than a grand a month when you finally start, with huge loans, and starting.. well I sat a home for 4 months :eek: after my type rating waiting for a phone call. If you're not hearing anything call or email them, they'll forget about you otherwise, don't be scared of calling them for goodness sake!

View it as a step on the ladder to move on else where. I got my command with them in 3 years but there is an overdose of new F/O's at the mo and deliveries have been temporarily culled by order of the IAA, so things may be slow for a while. That said new bases are opening frequently. You will however still fly no less than 750hrs/yr, and you'll be better off financially from day one on a brookfield contract (no benefits in FR anyway..)

Have respect for the Captains that train you and enjoy your 3 or 4 years, because after that, trust me you'll want to move on.

:E

Underdog_Per
21st Sep 2007, 11:35
hey guys,

Does anyone know what is the deal with the Brookfield Aviation contract?
Is it defferent from CAE and SAS?

PB4
21st Sep 2007, 11:49
hi EspeinIsDifferent, nothing heard yet but I don't think we should stoping breathing till they call, there are plenty of other operator to try, I'll reply here if I get something..

EspeinIsDifferent
21st Sep 2007, 13:22
thanks pb4 - will wait then... not that many operators that could offer something for a low hour pilot and that have presence in spain... anyway, lets be patient then...

good luck 2u!

MorningGlory
21st Sep 2007, 13:41
:ugh: Just phone or email them if you're still waiting. They're not sitting there ready with pen in hand to strike you off the list just for making a phone call...

Why is everyone so tentative when it comes to Ryanair? Just remember they need you too, otherwise you wouldn't have done the assessment!!!!!

Mile_Hi
21st Sep 2007, 17:51
I got the good news and start at CAE in Nov. Anyone else starting then?

I applied in Aug. Went to the open day in Sep. Received a call for an assessment two weeks later and heard that I was accepted within a few days after that. I am lucky as it all happened very quickly.

Best of luck to all those waiting

EspeinIsDifferent
22nd Sep 2007, 00:11
thanks a lot Mile Hi, and congrats! hope we are as lucky as you... would be so great to start in cae in november... still a dream for us now...

morning glory, u r totally right, just needed some reassurance... :p

will let u know if i get called - Mile Hi, u mind if, in such case, i put you a private or an email to get some info on how ur experience at the assesment was?

Italo83
22nd Sep 2007, 07:50
Hi guys, I'm new of this forum so firstable CIAO to everyone's reading!
I've just completed the CAE Ryanair MCC program, passing the assesment on the final session... now, I got the interview in EMA first days of october: do I need to expect just a personal interview or a sim checkride as well?
Thanks everybody !

Willing to sell soul
22nd Sep 2007, 11:31
Italo83,

If you did the Ryanair MCC course, the final session was, in effect your sim assessment. You should only have the personal/technical interview at EMA now.

Congrats so far, and good luck for the rest!

WTSS

:D

CamelhAir
22nd Sep 2007, 13:06
As ever, it is most important to be aware of what you're buying (as buying a job it is).
In real terms, ryanair take home pay has almost halved since 2001. That's a massive rate of declining, which shows no signs of stopping.
At least one senior FO in Dublin (that's a rank no newbie will ever get, scrapped as it is) is delivering pizzas to supplement his meagre ryr income. This is an FO with many years experience let me reiterate.
There are now far more FO's than required. You will do nothing near 900 hrs p.a. Your ability to quickly move to a "better" job is reducing commensurate to the large number of FO's employed. Simply put, there are too many ryr pilots competing for jobs elsewhere. Ironically of course, your acceptance of pittance wages to begin with is undermining those airlines you may aspire to move to, thus further reducing your chances of moving on.
Given that you will be here for a long time and that your real wage will be ever declining, are you ready to live on the breadline for many many years? Remember its great fun to fly a shiny jet for about 6 months, then the reality of loan payments, rent, money of lifestyle starts to kick in. Sadly in ryr now, once the loans and rent is paid, there's nothing left over for lifestyle Thus is the reality of life as a low-cost pilot.
The only positive is that the pittance wages, allied with the reality that you face a long stay in ryr may force the newbies to be less apathetic and pathetic about the union than so many are at present.

Italo83
22nd Sep 2007, 13:51
Thanks for the reply... do you know what sort of questions does the technical part of the interview include?

whizzer
23rd Sep 2007, 00:04
Ive already had a "conversation " with camel....he was a DEC and is now fighting from the inside to rescue the whole industry. He never did reply to why he joined such a "money grabbing" company when there were other airlines out there.

Anyway Diamond....at my assesment i was asked about coffin corner and how to get out of it...why have swept wings....why do airliners fly so high....If you were flying from London to NYC and back which would be quicker and why....then explain about jet streams....i also heard from others questions about what engines does the 737-800 have...range of the 737-800...how does a wet runway affect your takeoff....Thats all i can remember for now..but i may have posted other questions somewhere on this thread...have a look throu...Cheers :ok:

Diamond_Dog
23rd Sep 2007, 00:05
CamelhAir,

I am presuming you are a Ryanair pilot? What was your level of experience when you joined up (hours)? How much 'training' debt did you start your employment with? Did you pay ( :eek: ) for your type rating like the rest of us potential cadets will have to? How long have you been flying the line for them? Was this the only opportunity you had at the time to become an airline pilot/further your career? Had you gone in thinking things would be better than what they actually were? How many airlines have you tried to escape to since you've been with Ryanair? Based on your views, I'm assuming this is something you're actively trying to do? How many hours do you have with Ryanair? Are you on a Brookfield contract? What was your take home last month? (Translated into £'s if you get paid in another currency).

There's a few questions there. All pretty straight forward. I'd appreciate it if you could answer them. It might help to give us a more objective view on your plight.

Everyone else,

I attended the open day. I had a call up for selection a week or so ago and I'll be along to EMA soon. I've booked some sim time with VA on the Classic for next week to get an early heads up on Jet ops etc.

Been greasing up on tech questions but to reiterate other requests, advice on specific areas would be most welcome.

Good luck to everyone :ok:

CamelhAir
23rd Sep 2007, 09:59
He never did reply to why he joined such a "money grabbing" company when there were other airlines out there.

Read my post again. 6 years ago, in real terms ryr, we were paid alomost double what it is now. Pilots were pretty well looked after. All the "normal" stuff that was once taken for granted was taken care of. Regrettably peoples expectations are now lower. As MOL once said, "ryr pilots will be the hardest working and best paid short haul pilots in Europe". When I started, this was largely true. It had to be, back then there were a lot more jobs there and good starting salaries and paid for ratings etc were normal.
Unfortunately MOl has worked out that plenty of pilots will work for a pittance. He only has to look at pprune to learn that.
I think you can infer, Diamond Dog, the answers to your questions from the above.
As for the old chestnut, why not leave? For what? To get ridden by another airline copying the fr methods? Look around you, the rot is widespread.
Coming on here and taking potshots at those who know what they're about isn't very sensible. Far better to listen, you might spare yourself the inevitable disillusionment.

Diamond_Dog
23rd Sep 2007, 12:27
CamelhAir,

Its a real shame that pilots don't get to smoke cuban cigars on the flight deck any longer and that the glamour, perk and privilege aren't what they used to be. I'm sorry that things have gone badly for you. Hey i'm not really in it for the money. I'm just grateful I have all my limbs etc and the ability (some might disagree :}) and opportunity to do what I've always wanted. Not everyone in the world is as lucky as we happy few. We band of brothers :p

Coming on here and taking potshots at those who know what they're about isn't very sensible. Far better to listen, you might spare yourself the inevitable disillusionment.

I was kind of hoping for some straight forward answers to my straight forward questions? I'm not interested trawling through your post history. All I can see in your response to me is more subjectiveness and the rather patronising quote i've included above. My apolgies if you think I am taking a shot at you. I'm just after some facts and in all honesty i'm interested in hearing your story a bit? After all I presume you're trying get support for your views and trying to do your bit to instigate some kind of change. Sitting there and just firing off isn't going to help or endear people to your view point.

I listen to alot of views from many people. That enables me to make a balanced judgement. I'm under no illusions about anything. Be they financial, operational, political or any thing else relating to how the aviation industry evolves and reacts to things.

Maybe you can talk to us like we are all on the same side and have another stab at answering some of those questions ;)

I'm trying not to descend into the usual anonymous prune cat fight so I'll leave it at that... :ok:

Much love..

Mile_Hi
23rd Sep 2007, 18:16
EspeinIsDifferent - no probs....anytime.

whizzer
23rd Sep 2007, 23:50
Camel...nice to see you back on here..ive missed our two way tussle !!! :ok:

Dont you think that the current pilot pool are to blame for current conditions seeing as it was you who excepted all the changes?? Im not taking potshots but responding to your views..which at one point were blaming every new pilot who joins RYR because they want to get on and progress their career...as i said...only one group of pilots to blame if the conditions are so poor !! ...Everyone is entitled to their view which i respect but if things are so bad im surprised there are not more RYR pilots on here complaining..And if you are working for pittence then im still struggling to work out why you havent in the last 6 years moved onto bigger and better things?? With your experience im sure you would be snapped up in a shot by the "better" airlines who are still looking to increase their pilot pool.

Also a point well made by Diamond...its not just about the money..hell if i wanted to make more money i would have stayed in my previous job. Lets be grateful here...we could be nursing sick and dying people for pittence or sweepig the streets !!!

Als Diaomnd i have posted on this thread somewhere about my Sim assesment.....i would cut and paste but i have an early start in the morning..sorry..if you have any questions please pm me if you want.

Laters Whizzer :ok:

A340rider
24th Sep 2007, 10:42
You write about the poor blighter at Ryan skare..my colleag from Spain he work for Ryan air and on week end he play the guitar on london underground..poor sod thems..but he learn to juggle bowling ball as more money it that..

what compoanie did he do pizza delivery for? Dominoes was it? are they still recriuting? and where he stationed?..coz I had interview but failed on the technial question..plus they want me to pay for my training on pizza makeing...my mate fail line training on deliverys coz hes too slow...what was hes pay at pizza place? how many deliverie sector he do in a nite?

Thank safe deliverys!!!

FMSData
24th Sep 2007, 10:54
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has any information on the main differences between the Brookfield and Ryanair contracts?

Many Thanks and good luck all.

FMS

EspeinIsDifferent
24th Sep 2007, 14:52
Hi guys - I have been reviewing the posts (got till page 22 for the moment) and saw a lot of info in the interviews... many thanks to all!

one question I had... was thinking of getting some preparation in a 737 before the sim check - whenever that comes. I did my MCC in an a320, so probably will be a good idea...

any of you could reccomend me somewhere in europe (do not mind going to charleroi or london or somewhere else, not that many around here) where I could take some hours in an 737-800? I had heard that there were some places that specifically prepared for the ryr sim check...

any suggestions?

thank you very much!

virtualaviation
24th Sep 2007, 15:16
Hi,

Re 737-800 simulator assessment preparation for Ryanair candidates, please check your PMs:
http://www.virtualaviation.co.uk/training/airlines/ryanair.html

Herc708
24th Sep 2007, 20:37
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O5XSy1HAg1g

Kempus
25th Sep 2007, 14:48
Hi folks,

I posted a thread in another section and its been taken over by anti ryanair/pay for type rating replys.

Basically I've been offereda place and wanna know what the initial outlay is.

Type Rating £24,000
Living £2,00
Uniform £300
ID £100
Disclousure £60
IAA conver. £150
Insurance £150
Parking £300
SEP(pool use) £2.40

Not sure if these are right but what I reckon them to be. If anyone just joined can help out it would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Kempus

tinmouse
25th Sep 2007, 15:21
Hi Kempus,

Can you share some of the interview questions you got with us?

Thanks and well done.

Turkish777
25th Sep 2007, 15:37
That is a lot of cash mate, you probably don't want to hear it but I just did the exact same 737 NG TR at SAS Stockholm, (same SIM's everything) and it cost me 14,000 pounds (Includes base check)...However I didnt have a job at the end of it but I got invited for an interview the day I completed my base check..And if that fails and I don't have any luck after a few months then line training is 7500 pounds for 300 hours..

Apparently FR do 100 TR's a year in Sweden, so I wonder what they pay for them if the company I used can sell it for 14K and make a profit...plus FR do the base check in their own aircraft which reduces the cost again...

Diamond_Dog
25th Sep 2007, 19:55
Whizzer,

Thanks for the post. Check your PM's :ok:

Turkish,

£14k for a full JAR Type Rating on a 737-800 including the Base Check?!
It sounds to me like you've scored yourself the best deal on the planet!

Can I just double check with you. Does that include VAT? (The prices tend to be quoted without that included). Does it include any contingency for an extra 4 hour session should you need it?

A little food for thought...

The Ryanair TR is approx £19,500 inc VAT. (£16,090 not including VAT). Without wanting to second guess Kempus he would have quoted £24000 to compensate for an extra 4h sim session to reach test standard and maybe some transport etc. This isn't uncommon for people on the Type Rating and it's sensible to plan for it.

GECAT (now merged with SAS) offer self sponsored TR courses. (http://www.gecat.com/pilot_programme.asp). The cost here for the Type Rating is £17,950 inc. VAT. This doesn't include base training for which people are advised to reserve £5000. That totals approx £23000. Thats 9 grand more than what you're quoting with SAS?!

Diamond_Dog
25th Sep 2007, 20:14
EspeinIsDifferent,

Check your PM's mate. Soz it took me a while to get back.

Turkish777
25th Sep 2007, 21:34
Hi Diamond, yes its all true, I havent heard about it second hand I completed the course in August and did the base check last Monday...It was via Rhandem, I know they havent had the best publicity recently due to some issue with an Indian Airline and some other problems in Florida but I personally had no probs.

Euros 15,900 Books, CBT, posters, 1 week ground school and SIM sessions
(3 x 4hrs Static SIM, 8 x 4hrs Full motion, 1 x 2hrs Skills test)

Euros 5,000 T & Goes via Sterling

= Euros 20,900 @ 1.48 (Rate at the time I paid) = 14,121 pounds..Price includes VAT

However as you said if you're not up to scratch by the time of your skills test you will pay for extra SIM sessions, luckily enough this wasnt the case for me and i'm not perfect i've partialed skill tests before..:*

http://www.randhem.com/Info/SimpleText.aspx?MenuID=72
The price for the SIM, books etc now says Euros 16,200 but I paid 15,900 for sure..

Anyway check the web page or ring them up and hear it first hand if you still disbelieve me...

EspeinIsDifferent
25th Sep 2007, 21:47
thanks diamond dog! all the best for ur assesment!:ok:

Diamond_Dog
26th Sep 2007, 16:45
Turkish,

Seems like you have all the figures..

All I can say is Jeepers!! :eek:

I would personally say that SSTR without a partner airline is a real gamble, but it definitely suits some people. Too risky for me i'm afraid (or should I say my bank :E). Bonded TR's are the best if peeps can get the interview.

All the best mate. Let me know how things go for you.. :ok:

nosher
27th Sep 2007, 09:16
After failing the Ryanair Sim Check, how long do you have to wait before you can apply again?

whizzer
27th Sep 2007, 11:08
I think the time scale is 6 months...but i heard that second hand so dont take that as gospel !!!

MrHorgy
27th Sep 2007, 11:24
Interview on 26th October, anyone else going? Tis at EMA.

Horgy

tinmouse
27th Sep 2007, 12:27
Hi MrHorgy,

Can you tell me when you applied to Ryan air, when did you get a response?

Thanks

MrHorgy
27th Sep 2007, 12:45
I went to the open day they held at EMA last month. When I applied I sent my CV to them to get a place and they called me last week.

Horgy

Blinkz
27th Sep 2007, 12:46
Assessment on 3rd Oct, anyone else going?

Fireboy
29th Sep 2007, 11:48
I went to the open day on the 1st Sept, I got a call the week after for an assessment on the 27th and got offered a place on a type rating course the next day:)

Underdog_Per
5th Oct 2007, 14:28
hey guys,

How long before does Ryanair calls you before the open day? I have been reffered by Brookfield Aviation for the November 17, i did send my CV and the request as advised (By Brookfield) to Ryanair but I haven't heard anything yet. Does someone has an idea?

EspeinIsDifferent
5th Oct 2007, 16:29
they call you, dont worry - it may take them some time (in our case, 1 week or a bit more since we sent them the cv), but they call in that case (referred by brookfield)

we are still waitin for the call post-open day, that IS really taking long...