PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Jinkster
29th Nov 2006, 16:35
I'm offski to EMA on 11th Dec and then to CAE on 2nd Jan.

Cannot wait!!! :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

HighLow
30th Nov 2006, 21:40
Hi Guys and Girl
i have been spending time practising CLN 2B , and just have a question with regard to the plate at Luton.

Published Inbound NDB DME Track is 257degrees,
Everytime I track 257 on FS the Runway appears to my right when reaching MDA. For the people who have completed the assessment at EMA, did you find the same situation.

The magnetic track from the NDB to the runway on FS is actually 259...
tracking the 257 inbound on the East Midlands Sim, will this produce a similar result....

cheers

HighLow

Jinkster
30th Nov 2006, 21:49
High Low,

When i did it in the sim - the runway appeared at 12 o'clock!!

I was pretty chuffed with that.

Perhaps FS2k4 isnt as accurate as the real thing - i wouldnt imagine that the sim at EMA is based on FS2k4!

Jinkster

piloto2006
13th Dec 2006, 19:02
Please, Can you help me?
I have my assestment the 24th of January, and I don´t know where can I pactice.
What plate do you think that I´m going to perform?
Can you say me more or less the POWER SETTINGS?

Thank you!!

Dan 98
13th Dec 2006, 20:29
Fr Sim

Hi Piloto2006,
Scroll back a few pages, alot of your questions have been covered. Below is a post I made in response to someone else asking a similar question. They will give you all the power settings on the day, but the main one you need is about 1.25 EPR for level flight 230kts and about 4 degrees nose up attitude. Lots of guys go to Parc or rather Sim Tech in Dublin and use the sim there, i used Real aviation in Yorkshire http://www.realsimulation.co.uk/
Hope it helps.
Dan

Hi Embraer 195 & others,
I did the assessment at the end of Sept. The profile was the CLN 6B out of Luton on RWY 26. Establish onto the VOR at 4,000ft. Some general handling nothing too complicated. I got smoke in the toilet my sim partner got pax with a heart attack. Don't get to hung up on the check lists, what they are looking for is good comms between the PF & PNF and with the crew. NITS brief etc.... Remember to squawk 7700 etc.... and radio calls. Back into land on an NDB. I had no single engine stuff but did have to fly the hold and an entry. I know others who didn't. Just be prepared for doing it. If you're not familiar with the 737 get yourself in a sim. The sim at East Mids has an MCP like like you get on a 737-300, it will really help if you're familiar with this for the PNF role, as they look at your performance in both roles.
With regards to tech questions, these were based around aircraft flown: Seneca etc... And some basic stuff on NDB's and a couple of Met questions.
The instructors were all really friendly and relaxed, and I can honestly say I actually quite enjoyed it, better than being sat at home anyway!!
Good luck
Dan98

piloto2006
13th Dec 2006, 21:24
Do you know the other simulator addresses?
I preffer to go to Dublin because I´m from Spain and I think that is very dificult to me go to North Yorkshire, is there any airport near?

Do you Know where can I find the normal procedures of boeing 737-200 for the assessment?

Thank you very much.

easyflybywire
13th Dec 2006, 22:31
Hi Piloto,

You can also find a 737-200 simulator in Belgium @ Brussels
Have a look at www.sfa.be (http://www.sfa.be) and ask them.

Good luck

Dutchpilots
13th Dec 2006, 22:57
Hi all,

I had the assessment the 8th of Dec. Before I went I checked PPRuNe all time for the latest info.

Since it had been a great help for me, I want to continue the tradition. I must say that the posts here reflex pretty much what is done in EMA so nothing to add on that really.

The SID was different tough. It was a Compton 3B (CPT 3B). It starts the same as the CLN 6B. The climb was to 5000' and as a PNF I got a pax with a hardattack. As a PF I got bagage wich was not ok, so had to turn back to Luton. The approach was the same: to LUT, entry and then get established for the NDB/DME rwy 26.

Fortunatily it was good enough and I passed the assessment. I can start the course the 19th of Feb.

I you have a Q about it, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Good luck for those that are awaiting and congrets for those who already made it.

Greetz Dutch

piloto2006
14th Dec 2006, 05:30
Where do you perform the Sim training before to go to the assessment?
Where Can I find the normal procedures?
how was the interviews?

thank you very much!!

Dan 98
14th Dec 2006, 08:09
Piloto2006,
http://www.parcaviation.aero/
They have a 737-200 sim, contact them and they will give you a contact of someone at Sim Tech, who will sort you out. One word of warning, they will probably tell you that you need 4hrs etc... I personally think this is a little over kill at 250Euro's an hour. couple of hours should be sufficent unless yo are really struggling.
Also check your PM.

Dan98

PAPI-74
14th Dec 2006, 18:38
Be very careful with Parc. Don't trust them as far as you could throw them. I did my MCC there and they (the instructors) fed me all sorts of Bull about potential sim rides and the majority of students have 20hrs on their sim prior to the Ryan Air Check.
One of their guys owns part of the sim, so it is a pocket lining exercise. All you need to be able to do is a SID, ILS and a few emergencies, maybe a hold. 20hrs my arse.
In fact, pay for a TR with no job at the end (happened to a mate of mine who paid for their TR 737), my arse. They claim to place 100% of their TR Grads. Phaww! what's that smell?

If you play the game of paying for it, be prepared to loose it. Do it the old fashioned way and instruct first, than the natural progression of TP. Why is everyone so keen to go straight to Jets and engage the Auto-pilot?
Enjoy those years working your way up the ladder. There are plenty of years to sit fat and happy watching a computer at work, so why spend another 25k getting there, or has FO changed to MUG these days.

Let me have it!!!!

INSIDEVIEW
20th Dec 2006, 14:10
Hi there
i was wondering if anyone can tell me where to find a sim to prepare for FR Sim Assesment?

Dublin one is no longer used ...so maybe anyone has a different idea?

Is there a chance to use the one in EMA ?

Cheers

Avadoo
20th Dec 2006, 15:12
There's a 200 sim at 'realsimulation.co.uk' approx 1 1/2 hrs north of EMA
- by car that is!
The people there seem to do a good job preparing candidates for Ryan.

Good Luck.

Jinkster
20th Dec 2006, 17:25
Go to Simtech
www.simtech.ie

Rhodes13
21st Dec 2006, 15:01
Hi guys been reading this post with interest and was wondering if any of the luck could answer a few questions I have.

How long was it between you submitting your application through CAE and receiving a phone call for an interview. Have submitted about three weeks ago and still no news, although I do suspect that over the holiday season not much will be done.

Do hours have a bearing on how fast you are called up e.g I have 1300 hours with plenty of charter airline experience?

Any help or tips of advice most appreciated.

Regards

Rhodes13

INSIDEVIEW
21st Dec 2006, 15:09
@Rhodes
well i updated mine for nearly one year ..then call came .actually email telling me to sent again hours.
i have 1300 ...no rating .."Airline Experience" Island hopping ....
so ...just keep on updating ...
cheers

mimi737
24th Dec 2006, 20:46
Hello guys,

I got an inetrview with raynair in a few weeks and I need info about ryanair technical assessment.type of qustions...

Thank you

TurboJ
27th Dec 2006, 10:05
Hi

Does anyone know when you actually start getting PAID ?

Is it when you start line training or when you are cleared to line?

TJ

airbusito
30th Dec 2006, 11:29
ei dudes! I have the interview on january, but I have some questions about it!
I know that the sim check is in Luton, but what charts do they use, Jeppesen, Atlas, the Aip??? how is the weather, i mean, wind? clouds? In the ndb app how is the visibility?? do you see the rwy on the minimuns or before?

In the technical assessment I know that they ask about the last airplane I´ve flown, but for example the last multi engine I flew was a Seneca two months ago, but since then, I´ve done a lot of single engine hours working, so what should I study, the Seneca or the SE??

And, to conclude, what kind of questiones do the ask in the interview?? Please tell me what they asked you exactly because I´ve never done any interview before so I dont know how to start preparing it...

Thank you very much

yoda1
31st Dec 2006, 06:11
Hi

Does anyone know when you actually start getting PAID ?

Is it when you start line training or when you are cleared to line?

TJ

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156187&highlight=Ryanair

I am a First Officer in Ryanair and here is exactly how I am being payed in the first 12 months:

Type rating (4-6 WEEKS):

No pay

You then wait 2-4 weeks for base training without pay. After base training you are on the training contract basic rate for 6 months. This is an annual rate of 8700 pounds. However, you do not start getting payed this until after line training. Line training takes 2-3 months so you are therefore only payed on this rate for 3-4 months. Sounds complicated? It is purposely so.Not only that, but the company reduces this initial rate by 1000 pounds every year or so without notice. Next year you might therefore expect the rate to be 7700 pounds.

So, from the start of type rating until conclusion of line training you will only have earned about 750 pounds (half sector pay after safety pilot release and no basic salary yet).

About 3.5 months now remain until you finish your training contract. On the annual rate of 8700 (remember this will reduce eventually) you will earn 2530 basic in this time. Also, you will earn 2800 sector pay.

To sum up so far:

Day 1 to completion of line check ( 4 months) = 750 pounds

Line check to end of training contract (3.5 months) = 5330 pounds

Total after 7.5 months with the company = 6080 pounds.

It will now have been 6 months since base check. You will now go on the basic second officer terms. This amounts to a basic annual rate of 14000 pounds and half sector pay for a further 6 months.

In these 6 months you will therefore earn 7000 pounds basic and about 4800 pounds sector pay. This basic rate is also being reduced annually without notice.

Ok, here are the final figures (before tax) for the first 12 months after the base check:

Basic pay: 9530 pounds

Sector pay: 8350 pounds

Total: 17880 Pounds.

You can expect to remain on second officer pay scale for 18 months after line check. This will probably increase to a greater time period as time goes by.

piloto2006
1st Jan 2007, 20:00
I,m going to go to the assessment the 24 of January.
Someone has the assessment the same day?

airbusito
8th Jan 2007, 18:32
i have it on 30th.

good luck!

nash737
9th Jan 2007, 16:54
Hello guys,

I got an interview with raynair the 17 january and I need latest info about ryanair technical assessment.type of qustions...

Thank you in advance !

piloto2006
10th Jan 2007, 15:30
I need too the latest information, I have the assessment the 24 of January.

Thank you!!

jfslaats
10th Jan 2007, 16:46
Hello guys,

I got an interview with raynair the 17 january and I need latest info about ryanair technical assessment.type of qustions...

Thank you in advance !

I've got also assesment on the 17th. According the invitation it should be questions about your current a/c type. :rolleyes:

Cathy Specific
19th Jan 2007, 12:01
Hi. To any of you guys with an impending selection day at ryanair. I am arranging a sim detail, probably at yorkshire simulation sometime in early feb. My selection is on 13th Feb. It costs £259 per hour. Do any of you want to pair up with me? We pay for an hour each and get the benefit of an hour's non handling time effectively for free? Can you post your response on this forum please. Cheers

nuclear weapon
19th Jan 2007, 19:59
To those that have managed to get through the assesment which bank is very familier with this scheme or which local HSBC is good to talk to around london. Does ryanair give you a contract letter you can take to the bank.

Glyndo
19th Jan 2007, 20:38
Cathay.
I would be happy to share with you. I've actually already booked a sim. Check your pm.

Arans
21st Jan 2007, 19:44
I've heard that is now part of Ryanair's screening a tough English test made in a University near East Midlands. Can anyone confirm that information ?

Dutchghost
23rd Jan 2007, 18:10
anyone on the 26th in Dublin? goodluck to all others

Cheers,

Hobbit
24th Jan 2007, 14:06
You people are amazing, there is information here from a current Ryanair FO saying you are joining an outfit for whom you will be basically working for free, and you are all still bursting with enthusiasm. No wonder pilots are treated with such derision by management! Good luck to you, by the time you get your commands National Express coach drivers will have better salarys; their terms and Conditions are probably already superior!

Polarhero
24th Jan 2007, 15:10
Hi all,

Has anyone else had the email today from CAE asking for an update of cv, hours and types etc.

Just wondering if this is some thing they send out all the time or if it is a sign they are starting to pick people up.

Cheers

:ok:

USE THE RUDDERS
24th Jan 2007, 15:18
Hi all,
Has anyone else had the email today from CAE asking for an update of cv, hours and types etc.
Just wondering if this is some thing they send out all the time or if it is a sign they are starting to pick people up.
Cheers

Received same email today also.

Avadoo
24th Jan 2007, 18:34
Hobbit,

a bit too late with your words of wisdom.
For the last three years the local bus company have been paying more than most turbo operators offer to new recruits. No mention of a bond or paying for your Leyland double decker type rating either!!!

So which route is best for the average, freshly qualified wannabe, the 500express back from MAN???

If you research a little further you will find far worse than this, such as 32K sterling for a T/R, 150 hrs on line and neither pay or offer of employment. :yuk:

Sky Goose
24th Jan 2007, 19:02
Hi Polarhero and others
I too recieved one of those e-mails froma CAE on the 4th of January (to which I replied on same day) and today I recieved an invite to an assessment.
So it could be a good sign.
The only problem is my assessment is on the 7th of February at East Midlands, not much notice !
Would just like to get some feedback on the route, is it still Luton or has it changed again?
Also I need to do some prep in a 737-200 FFS, have used the one in Dublin at Simtech but heard about Realsimulation and was wondering if anyones used them for asessment prep, and if they were any good.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

colt.sivers
24th Jan 2007, 19:19
Hi all,

I've received the mail from CAE today as well.

Dav / Profile initially posted less than tan 3 months ago

SinBin
24th Jan 2007, 19:31
Moi aussi!:hmm:

airbusito
25th Jan 2007, 10:28
Hi! I have the interview on February, and I´d like to know exactly what they ask, and if they are still asking for Luton, in the simulator!
This is the first oportunity that I´ve had in 2 years and I hope someone can help me, because I´m really nervous.

Thank you very much

Northern Highflyer
25th Jan 2007, 10:43
Sky Goose
I used realsimulation at the Yorkshire Flight Centre for a sim prep last year and found them to be very good.

nuclear weapon
25th Jan 2007, 11:06
I have officially joined the queue for ryanair assesment as I have been sent a couple of dates to pick from in febuary hopefully trying to get my first step on the ladder. theres no point in asking what it is like as numerous posts here already describe it the only thing I want to know is who knows a friendly bank manager that is willing to fund the type rating?

Mrmoeller
25th Jan 2007, 14:31
Hi,

Does anyone have a picture / drawing on how the 732 simulator exactly looks like? Easy access to pictures of "real" a/c's on the web but if anyone can supply a good link or place to go look I'd appreciate it.

A few facts that some are seeking:

Initial application through CAE: 1 1/2 years ago (with MCC and 220TT)

1 month ago I was asked to update my profile: Was contacted a week later with a choice of ass. dates (600TT)

Sky Goose
25th Jan 2007, 14:35
Thanks Northern Flyer,

Mr Moeller

visit

www.simtech.ie

or www.realsimulation.co.uk

good luck with the assessment

The G Bone
25th Jan 2007, 17:52
Hi,

I got an email from CAE asking me to update my details and send a CV on the 19th. Then I got a call this morning asking if I could go for an assessment on 1st February in Dublin. Has anyone else been asked to go over to Dublin as I see most people go to EMA.

Can anyone let me know what the assessment is like and what kind of technical and other questions to expect. Also any details of the sim check would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dutchghost
25th Jan 2007, 20:21
Hi all I am Dublin at this moment and preparing for my assessment for tomorrow if I am done doing it I'll post some information reagrding the test's!!

But sky goose you got an notice( I didn't) tuesday I got a call from SAS if I could come to Dublin on 26th to do the assessment! so that was a notice of 3 day's so stop mowning about a notice of 2 weeks (you'r lucky) :P

Goodluck all and hope to see you all in the hallways of ryanair.

Cheers,

nuclear weapon
25th Jan 2007, 20:36
DG look forward to reading about your experience as I've got mine on 9th of feb but I am begining to wonder if it is the same as EMA.Good luck!!

Hi all I am Dublin at this moment and preparing for my assessment for tomorrow if I am done doing it I'll post some information reagrding the test's!!

But sky goose you got an notice( I didn't) tuesday I got a call from SAS if I could come to Dublin on 26th to do the assessment! so that was a notice of 3 day's so stop mowning about a notice of 2 weeks (you'r lucky) :P

Goodluck all and hope to see you all in the hallways of ryanair.

Cheers,

Sky Goose
26th Jan 2007, 08:17
Dutchdog
3 days...I would have had a breakdown !
Just heard someone say something about Ryanair minimum hour requirements !!??
Anyone know anything about that...minimum in the last year or minumum total time ? I have 245 total, but only a 4 hours in the last year on actual aircraft, most of my time is in FNPT 2 and 737-200 FFS.
Just need some info to calm my nerves, otherwise im going to have to squeeze some actual flying in as well.:eek:

ps Dutchdog, Hope it went well today.

The G Bone
26th Jan 2007, 09:21
Dutchdog

3 days...I would have had a breakdown !

Just heard someone say something about Ryanair minimum hour requirements !!??

Anyone know anything about that...minimum in the last year or minumum total time ? I have 245 total, but only a 4 hours in the last year on actual aircraft, most of my time is in FNPT 2 and 737-200 FFS.

Just need some info to calm my nerves, otherwise im going to have to squeeze some actual flying in as well.:eek:

Sky Goose

The information I have seen says that the minimum TT is 200 hrs, not sure how much they expect you to have in the last year though.

Mrmoeller
26th Jan 2007, 11:56
Hi all,

I am preparing myself for the assessment and as part of that I now have the opportunity (at the Danish simcenter: www.flight4fun.dk) to fly a 727 or DC 10 full motion (all analogue instrumentation) Which of the to would you say is more usefull? I'm guessing the 727 since it's Boeing.

Br

Michael

nuclear weapon
26th Jan 2007, 12:27
Does anyone know anywhere where one can stay cheaply for the ryanair assesment at ema with good proximity to the airport.
Thanks

scroggs
26th Jan 2007, 13:22
Try here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3089106&postcount=83). there is more info on that thread also.

Scroggs

nuclear weapon
26th Jan 2007, 14:26
Thanks scroggs

Polarhero
26th Jan 2007, 17:19
Hi Polarhero and others
I too recieved one of those e-mails froma CAE on the 4th of January (to which I replied on same day) and today I recieved an invite to an assessment.

Hi,
1 month ago I was asked to update my profile: Was contacted a week later with a choice of ass. dates (600TT)
Sound like it might be a good sign, has anyone had the email that has not been invited for assessment within about month?
And if so what sort of experience have you had?
Me i have 320hrs, 125 P1, 50 multi and just starting work as FI.

GA, Flaps 20
27th Jan 2007, 14:54
You will never get hired as an airline pilot in the USA if you show up to an interview with a beard. The FAA prohibits it due to sealing issues of oxygen masks on beards. (hey, I don't make the rules).
To show such ignorance of a Federal Aviation Reg at an interview would only be slightly less damaging to your chances than showing up with alcohol on your breath.
good luck.

Aloue
28th Jan 2007, 15:31
claycomm the reality, which few Wannabes want to acknowledge is that the "big money" often does not arrive. It especially does not arrive for those who join Ryanair and in accepting the conditions they accept demonstrate that they are willing to "compromise". Once you do that, the only issue is how much "compromising" will be necessary. Each year, steadily, the conditions deteriorate and people still line up. (Even the promise of a full time job in Ryanair - whatever it may actually mean in practice - can no longer be guaranteed; as for the money, what is said at interview to get you to part with your 737-800 conversion money is one thing - just try to get that in writing and watch them wriggle!!).

We are now beyond the point of warning people, because it is absolutely clear that until large numbers have been "burned" the dangers will not be accepted by many aspiring pilots. I fully accept that a Wannabe will say in reply - with some legitimacy - that a job with Ryanair is better than no job at all. Possibly this is true - BUT they would be VERY foolish if they think that there is lots of money to be seen in the near future. Ryanair start as they mean to finish.

If you have significant debts make sure you can survive without pay for a sustained period and with low pay for a few years. Do not count on promises of earnings at interviews or on banner ads here on pprune. Talk to REAL FR "second officer cadets". They will tell you the real story.

At the moment there are large and increasing numbers of aspiring pilots paying for CPL/IRs. In the next few years a large number of them will discover that the investment was a disaster. There are not going to be enough jobs. Terms will deteriorate to whatever point people are willing to acccept (including long periods with no pay). We just have to wait ....

Fellow Aviator
28th Jan 2007, 16:59
With a follow up to Claycomm's question: When are the contracts shown and when are they signed? Could somebody who has been there share this info. This would be greatly appreciated. Also, in what detail is salary development described in the contract? Is the job guaranteed?

TurboJ
28th Jan 2007, 17:04
and what exactly is the pay during line training ? (Jan 07)

Aloue
28th Jan 2007, 19:35
There is, somewhere on pprune a copy of a document which is a "guide to employment in Ryanair" or some such title (that version is very old but should be enough to help). Your priority should be to find a copy since nobody is prepared any longer to come along every few weeks and post the same old information to those who are just going to ignore it anyway.

Based on the questions asked above, here is what you need to know:

1. FR have a substantial number of "cadet S/Os" on their books. These pilots pay up front for the B737-800 rating, at which point they are effectively entrapped in the Ryanair system (they cannot afford to opt out).

2. Payment follows a Ryanair interview, but payment is NOT to Ryanair but to an intermediate organisation.

3. From that moment until line check there is NO pay. When things go well this period is not much longer than you would expect. When things go badly it can be mind-bogglingly long (well over a year).

4. When there is pay, it is at a significantly reduced rate. The period on the reduced rate varies from 11 to 18+ months.

5. The rates of pay are NOT as discussed/promised at interview. Nor are they the same as the "up to £ / € " figures which appear here on pprune banner ads from time to time.

6. In most cases the candidate is promised a full-time job with FR if they ask the question. In practice a substantial number find that they are given no choice and must become a Brookfield contractor.

7. It is VERY rare for those who find themselves on much lower pay than they expected to find an opportunity to do anything other than accept what has happened to them.

The key things to understand is that Ryanair is very different in its approach to S/Os and new pilots. New pilots are a profit centre and are NOT a cost to the airline. There are far more S/Os recruited than are needed - hence the long delays that occur from time to time. I know of NO S/O who ever saw an employment contract before parting with their money for the type-rating (training contract, yes).

After you pay, they don't care what you do, how much you complain, etc. because at the slightest sign of resistance to their manipulation you are given a simple choice: "do you want to resign, or do you want to accept our generous offer of X?" (Needless to say, X is not generous). After waiting for the line check, recent S/Os have found their earnings significantly lower than expected.

Those who think they have to endure all of this for a "good job later" are taking the risk that there will be "a good job later". The jobs are paying less and less all the time. Reason: the fact that people Q up for treatment such as I have described above.

There is a long line of applicants for these jobs. You are simply joining a "race for the bottom" and to contribute to Ryanair's profits. To make sure you will survive all you need to do is ensure that you have more financial reserves than the others. Also relevant, but little talked about, are the failures. Quickly abandoned and forgotten about.

There is a difference between pessimism and realism. The latter is based on the realities, the former on a judgement. This does not mean that things won't work out well for some. But it is to say that the rosy image of the airline pilot is long gone and you need to avoid ill-considered and wishful thinking before you start down this path.

INSIDEVIEW
28th Jan 2007, 20:07
Reading this .im quite happy i failed !!!
I rather fly my Do228 Cargo around in Europe ..to big airports ...and get treatment like a Professional....

Though:oh: ..im still quite yealous about these guys flying a nice 737 ...but i will be there also one day .....on a normal contract ...where they pay your Uniform !!!

Cheers

scroggs
28th Jan 2007, 21:26
There is, somewhere on pprune a copy of a document which is a "guide to employment in Ryanair" or some such title (that version is very old but should be enough to help). Your priority should be to find a copy since nobody is prepared any longer to come along every few weeks and post the same old information to those who are just going to ignore it anyway.

The links you need are in this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2488344&postcount=138) post within this very thread! As you say, people won't bother to read them though - or, if they do, they'll choose not to believe them.

Until it's too late.

Scroggs

Will964
28th Jan 2007, 22:53
I have been offered an interview with Ryanair in early Feb and after much consideration I have turned it down. Apart from the very valid points made above, who wants to fly for an airline that has an online gambling section to their website? :rolleyes:

paradropper
29th Jan 2007, 10:01
FR have a substantial number of "cadet S/Os" on their books. These pilots pay up front for the B737-800 rating, at which point they are effectively entrapped in the Ryanair system (they cannot afford to opt out).

Coul someone please elaborate? How are you being entrapped?

Fellow Aviator
29th Jan 2007, 10:12
Coul someone please elaborate? How are you being entrapped?

If you are not shown and havn't signed your contract of employment before paying money for TR, you will be put in a position to accept any terms after the training contract terminates. For example if the company gives you only a contractor (Brookfields) contract what can you do? The type rating has been paid and therefor you've been entrapped.

nuclear weapon
29th Jan 2007, 10:15
Does brookfield have a website I have googled it to no end still no luck. It only comes up when mentioned on pprune. I wil like to know more about them.

Polarhero
29th Jan 2007, 10:32
Brookfield website, but not much on it. http://www.brookfieldav.com/

Aloue
29th Jan 2007, 10:36
Brookfield, as has been explained in other posts here on pprune has a very close association with Ryanair and number of former Ryanair employees have been associated with the company. Brookfield has been known to telephone successful applicants for Ryanair within minutes of a successful interview.

Brookfield might, for example, offer a training contract or a Brookfield contract ("we pay more, since you are a contractor"). Legally Brookfield is totally independent of Ryanair. In practice ... well things look very different.

Brookfield is thus the organisation you will have a problem with, not Ryanair, if financial or other problems arise. You might well be promised a job by Ryanair, but if you sign a contract with Brookfield, what value do Ryanair promises have?

As someone has just posted elsewhere here on pprune there is a veritable industry of "suppliers" feeding on the uncertainties and ambitions of "wannabes". It is not going to stop and the costs of being "assisted" will continue to rise in parallel with dropping pay until people start to cop on.

Dan 98
29th Jan 2007, 16:59
One consideration to bare in mind is that once you have been based checked and Ryanair have spent money on you, it will cost you money to leave. You would have to reimburse them the cost of the base training and any line training carried out. The base training is 845 Euro's per circuit and the Line training is charged at £90 per sector with a maximum of £6,000 repayable. So if for example after 3 months you wanted out you would have to pay them back the above before you could. This may be the "entrapment" that was mentioned earlier.

paradropper
29th Jan 2007, 17:57
One consideration to bare in mind is that once you have been based checked and Ryanair have spent money on you, it will cost you money to leave. You would have to reimburse them the cost of the base training and any line training carried out. The base training is 845 Euro's per circuit and the Line training is charged at £90 per sector with a maximum of £6,000 repayable. So if for example after 3 months you wanted out you would have to pay them back the above before you could. This may be the "entrapment" that was mentioned earlier.

But this is only for the training contract or....?:hmm:

BBT
29th Jan 2007, 18:24
There is also the famous 3 month's notice which Ryanair want (even when they are not entitled to it). If you don't give it to them they will stop all pay due and threaten legal action. MANY pilots have had that experience. The idea is to help them deal with the high turnover of pilots by slowing down the attrition rate to enable them to bring more of the "unpaid reserve" of pilots on stream. More cannon fodder.

cessna310
30th Jan 2007, 12:33
HI TO Polarhero AND USE THE RUDDERS,

Received same email on 24th Jan also.Did u receive any further call or email about assessment ?

Best Regards,
cessna310.

nuclear weapon
30th Jan 2007, 13:18
To those that manage to get offered the type rating course at cae or sas how did you fund it? Does hsbc still gives loan for the type rating part with the guarantee of a job unlike funding from scratch. Is the training offer from ryanair enough to convince them? Replies will be highly appreciated.

Polarhero
30th Jan 2007, 14:18
Sure did, I'm going for assessment in Dublin on the Feb 16th.

Anyone got any idea what to expect at the assessment, all they say is Sim check, Tech questions 45min and Interview for 45min.

So if anyone can give me any ideas what they will be looking for in the tech paper?

Cheers

I'll let people know what it was like when i get back form it

nuclear weapon
30th Jan 2007, 14:40
Polarhero

Relax mine is on the 9th. What did you mean by sure did. Did they give you an agreement in principle. Anyway I have been practicing on flight sim everyday holds different entries you name it. I will also be booking a sim prep sesion with a certain company . However having read what has been said on some forums I will not mention it to the interviewers that I had a practice session the day before as they will expect a higher standard from you.

Having said that I will hope the company in question keeps thier customers names confidential.

daelo
30th Jan 2007, 15:20
I did the assessment on 5Th of january. Everything seemed good, I did a good sim, they asked me only one question (low pressure) and to repeat a Clearence...but I didn't pass the assessment and I don't know Why, because they don't give explanation...It's not an isolated case, other three people I know did the assessment on January and didn't pass...all for the Cadet position...so be carefull...
at EMA everything is the same: luton, sid, ndb approach with minor failure..
good luck to everyone

cessna310
30th Jan 2007, 17:49
Polarhero,

Thanks for reply, good luck for assessment.When did u receive call or email?your flying career details please.
I heard that they ask general question about a/c which u flew last for tech asse.

Best Regards and best of luck again,
cessna310.

Polarhero
30th Jan 2007, 18:19
Ok the time it has taken so far....
First filled in the form on the CAE website back end of Dec, don't remember the date but it was after Christmas.
I got the first email, the one asking for an update of CV on the 24th of Jan.
Responded to that with up to date CV and updated form on website on the same day.
Then got the email on the 29th asking if i would like to attend for assessment, this gave me the option of three days in feb, 16th, 21st and
22nd.
I decided the 16th was best for me so emailed back same day (29th) to ask for that day. Got the email confirming the date etc today.
Ask for career to date,
PPL in 1997
ATPL G/S started sept 2005 finished may 06, @ NAC G/S
CPL ME IR, July - Nov 06, Triple A @ Humberside
MCC Dec 06 @ ATF
FI, Dec06 -Jan 07 @LFS.
Just starting work as FI when the paper work comes back from Gatwick.
Hope that answers everything.

inveritas
30th Jan 2007, 19:15
For the assessment you need to have a good level of English language skills. That is possibly why you failed. There are now no delays in Ryanair cadet training. The type rating takes approx 6 weeks. You normally base train within two weeks and then start line training immediately.

You don't get a choice of base but the airline is expanding in Dublin, East Midlands and Girona. So you may end up in any of these. You get paid from the date of the completion of your training.

BBT
30th Jan 2007, 20:56
inveritas you are not familiar with Ryanair if you say that. Remember you are giving advice here to people with a lot to lose. Your confident and apparently knowledgeable tone is misleading. One example - nobody gets a permanent contract in Dublin. Nobody knows that until after they part with their money. They are given a "take it or leave it" offer of a Brookfield contract at a later point.

Am I right, or am I wrong?

nuclear weapon
30th Jan 2007, 21:01
Hi guys I've been busy with this profile for some time and it does appear as if the 215 radial on BNN tends to come before you reach the suggested 1500ft turning point for jets when taking off on rwy 26. This is on my flight sim to those who've done the real assesment is it the same in the sim at EMA. Any pointers will be wellcome.

Avadoo
30th Jan 2007, 21:17
NW, check your PM's

cessna310
30th Jan 2007, 21:57
Polarhero,

Thanks for reply.
Best of luck again,
Best Regards,
Cessna310http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon14.gif

Sky Goose
31st Jan 2007, 16:41
Have also been putting in the hours on FS 2004, also finding that the 215 radial comes in just before you reach 1500ft.
Any pointers welcome.
Also do you guys have any feedback with regards to weather, ie. ceilings, vis on departure and landing. Also any info on wind direction and speed would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance, and good luck to all, I'm up on the 7th of Feb at EMA, may my NDB needle not sway off the 257.....
cheers
Goose

nuclear weapon
31st Jan 2007, 22:26
I am looking for ward to booking a sim slot for the 8th as my assesment is on the 9th with realsimulation is there anyone that might be interested in either sharing or if we book a two hour slot we can have an hour each of pf and pnf rather than with the trainers.

ciopu
1st Feb 2007, 10:46
Hi Guys my name is Federico and and i have few questions for you as i'm trying to be part of the assesment.
I had apllied this summer just after the license to CAE and SAS, but still no sign of life from this people.
I currently work for Ryanair as Cabin crew and asking to the newest FOs, most of them send thir CV in the right hands and obtained the assement in a week, now i'm so curious........this is the only way to reach the assesment or some of you obtain this in the normal way??...applying in internet and that's it or somethings else??

My flight experience is flight cadet....fATPL MCC all the staffs and 200TT.

Please if someone have any advice i really appreciate..
Thanks guys

High Wing Drifter
1st Feb 2007, 17:46
Gator,

Where'd you find out that about the unofficial age limitation?

fullrich
1st Feb 2007, 19:05
Having completed the MCC at Dublin I think I might know your reliable source who sim preps. I would be of the opinion that 32 is his age limitation and not Ryanairs. He likes to boast about his success with sim preps for FR but will of course only choose who he deems suitable,not Ryanair!

High Wing Drifter
1st Feb 2007, 19:14
Gator,

Interesting, I know the person you are talking about, he was one of the instructors during my MCC. He didn't mention this and in fact suggested I go for Ryanair!

I'm well over 32 BTW.

Tis a murky world :hmm:

Edit to say that it looks like Gator deleted his posts. In fact I am 40 and have an assessment date with FR, so any notion of an age limit of bollocks

fullrich
1st Feb 2007, 19:51
No Im not referring to Se Pardy. If this guy doesnt do the MCC course in the same builiding then I would be surprised. It also means that there are at least 2 sim prep instructors for FR at Dublin??

Crashlanding
2nd Feb 2007, 16:19
Has anyone had an email in the last few days for an assesment on the 737-800 at EMA like me?

Professor Rubik
2nd Feb 2007, 17:48
Not just yet but I am hoping to hear something any day……

Is there a particular reason why yours is in the -800 and not the -200 like the majority?

Several people here seem to have been called for an assessment following the cae info update email. Whether or not there is any pattern as to the order in which people are called, or the time period between these communications, I haven’t yet worked out.

Any information in this area would be welcomed.

Crashlanding
2nd Feb 2007, 17:58
I too recieved the email asking for my CV from CAE which got sent that night.

This email informing me about both the sim dates and then confirmation that I have the date I wanted have come from an @ryanair email address so I can only believe this is from CAE rather than SAS.

My sim days are all at the end of march

Email says its on the -800

High Wing Drifter
2nd Feb 2007, 18:01
Ah! Professor! (sorry reminds me of Fosters ad from yonks back).

I get the distinct impression for many the process is simply to start at the top and select the number of interviewable applications - probably in a rough order of date received depending if anybody dropped the pile on the floor at some point or not. When the appropriate number has been found stop looking. Not a process of looking at all applications and weighing up the pros and cons of each.

Polarhero
2nd Feb 2007, 18:01
My email asking for an update was from CAE.
All other emails have been from Ryanair, as for sim type i am on the -200 in Dublin on the 16th feb

cessna310
2nd Feb 2007, 20:47
Hi Professor,

I received email from CAE to update my cv on 24th but,still i am waiting a call from Ryan air for assesment.I heard that when u apply they put your name in list,when your name comes they will contact u.

Best Regards,
Good luck,
cessna310

cessna310
2nd Feb 2007, 20:52
Hi Crashlanding,

When did u apply to CAE?
Best of luck,

Best regards,
cessna310.

Professor Rubik
2nd Feb 2007, 21:47
Thanks for that info guys, it’s very re-assuring.

Cessna310 – I’ve been told the same thing as you’ve heard. All things being well it should be just a matter of waiting now. Fingers crossed.

High Wing Drifter – Excellent ! I remember that Fosters Ad well !!

Good luck to all of you with forthcoming assessments. Prepare well and be lucky.

Crashlanding
3rd Feb 2007, 07:16
I applied to CAE at Xmas, got the email on 24th re CV

3 days ago got email about dates (all march) at EMA, replied with date of choice.

Reply came back saying got my date and on the -800 sim

Email was sent to 12 people, with there being 12 dates to pick.

Vortex Thing
4th Feb 2007, 01:11
Guys and girls I had a very good talk with a good friend of mine who is with our flag carrier. He told me not to listen to a lot of the rumours about Ryanair which had until then put me off applying.

Let me set a few things straight before I start. I would like to explain that I have just joined Ryanair and amd therefore not guessing about how the contracts may or may not work.

There are a few people who have suggested that there is an age limit on my TR course there were 4 out of all of us who was below 25 the others were late twenties, early thirties and some in their 40s. The mix was good, ex mil, male, female, numerous nations and mother tongues, so age and diversity of background are not issues. Those who fell by the wayside on the way almost without exception did not have strong enough English, the SOPs are very particular and I as a Brit have to give tribute to those Spaniards, Frenchmen, Germans, Swedes etc who did get through because the nature of the task and the intensity of the TR course did not leave much room for error.

Re contracts there are numerous in this thread who say that you do not get your contract and or pay for 18 months. This is not true, they are making it up. Day 1 in our first week at East midlands when we did our induction, SEP and CRM we were given contracts for the TR phase and contracts for line training phase. Yes you may not know where you are going of the 18 current bases but hey its better than being unemployed (as a pilot).

The contracts told us how much we would get paid, when and why, when it would change, what we had to do and when and the last three courses above us have had to wait ohhh alomst a week for base training. The delays are gone, they are a thing of the past.

Line trainging locations are not specified but DUB and STN are fairly safe bets seeing as there are 500 pilots based at STN and 40 a/c.

So as long as you do not mind not knowing exactly where you will be based and accept that it will take 6-11 months (not 18) to get to full pay then I am not sure why people are making up the tripe that put me of joining for so long.

I expect a barrage of questions but frankly don't care if u are going to berate my firm then do it with knowledge not guesswork.

They are never going to look after me as much as many other firms but there is no deception in this. If you don't like it then don't join! Oh and yes in answer to many of the likely questions. Do I mind paying for my uniform, my own water on the flight deck, having no pension, etc well yes but not as much as I minded not even getting a response from many of the regional firms.

Before the Ryanair debate continues I suggest that somebody actually calculates how much they earn over a 3-4 year period if they were to join a regional turboprop Dash8 firm for three years and then join EJ or FR and just get on with it and joining of the bat. I'd suggest that 3-4yrs down the line with 2700hrs on a 738 you are going to be fairly safein gettin some work and used to all manner of approaches in Europe rather thatn RV to the ILS at EHAM.

If you take into account your lack of earnings with a turboprop operator I am surprised, in hindsight, that these deabtes dont start with why on earth would anyone join Flybe, Logan, etc rather than why would u take an alledged chance with FR.

Yes some people do not make it through the courses and line but hey lets be honest it wasnt because FR wanted to waste a line trg capts time knowing they would not progress.

So for all those in doubt. Don't listen to those above below or anyone else, me included just take it as info and make up your own mind. I have not met any of the 1600 pilots in FR who were desperately unhappy. Yes some were annoyed about basing and some about contracts but NONE of us in three courses were forced to go to Brookfields or Bond (except some JAR25 qualified skippers) and none of them were unhappy enough to leave and leave they can. Easy are offering interviews to those over 50hrs on type now so it would not be hard to jump ship. So why are FR pilots leaving? Ask yourself that.

So how bad is it really, I'd say it ain't bad at all. See you on the Abbot 1C:ugh:

Cojack
4th Feb 2007, 14:46
Theres a pilot with a damn good attitude.

Fair play mate. I wish you all the best with your career.
An attitute like that, someone who does the back ground work, and believes the facts, not rumours, is chief pilot material.

F.O. 737-800
4th Feb 2007, 15:44
Well said by Vortex, for a company to start in RyanAir is a great place to get a few hours on type then reconsider your options. Most of the Captains you fly with are good guys and the flying is very entertaining. A far better decisions than going to a Turbo Prop operator if you have the choice.

However the contract is very bad and you wont see full F.O. salary for 18 months after sighing your RYR contract and the chances are you will never see Senior F.O. money. Also as is well known in RYR you make your money on your Sector Pay rather than your basic salary, which in previous years meant as a S.O. with a poor basic salary you still made good money. However last year RYR over did it on F.O./S.O. recruitment and now due to the over staffing you will make less than the Number 1's even with your sector cheque. So as i say go to RYR get enough hours for Easy then leave. :)

Aloue
4th Feb 2007, 19:53
Vortex Thing you have been nominated as material for a position as Chief Pilot. Congratulations. The person nominating you, and judging from your post, yourself are likely to be uninterested in anything that says differently. However I view your research efforts with some suspicion.

But for those reading your confident words - and it is for them that I am writing this - may I just point out that you have like everybody else received a contract[s] for line training phase. You seem to have missed what has been written about this. That is not your contract of employment. In fact you are "half-employed" by the only airline that has a contract for line training. I don't suppose you considered why you are on such a contract? Why would an employer have such a contract?

Now that you have paid your money you will learn the realities, especially when you get your Ryanair contract and start wondering how to interpret what it all means for you. You would know the answers to those questions if you had done your research (and what F.O. 737-800 says should point you in the correct direction).

If you had done that research and then decided it was for you, the perhaps you would be Chief Pilot material. To state so assertively that all will be well when you are only at the start of the process is certainly confident.

Let's hear from you in a year, as pressman suggests.

Fellow Aviator
4th Feb 2007, 21:12
Vortex mentioned that the training contract states:
The contracts told us how much we would get paid, when and why, when it would changeWhat is the legal binding of this, if the contract of employment is not in par with terms stated in the training contract? Anyone? OTOH Fighting a big corporation in a court with my limited resources is one thing i wouldn't voluntairly do.

Vortex: Was there any mention in the training contract about pay during/after line training?

BBT
4th Feb 2007, 22:26
Vortex Thing I too want to follow up on your remarkable post - remarkable for your apparent lack of insight on so many fronts. Maybe I am wrong, and if I am, I will apologise, but I thought that you guys had paid for a rating "up front". So when you say Yes some people do not make it through the courses and line but hey lets be honest it wasnt because FR wanted to waste a line trg capts time knowing they would not progress.
Ahh.... so you identify with Ryanair's interests, but not with those who paid for a rating and contributed to Ryanair's profits? Any half decent employer has a commitment to those they employ (not least because they are not a source of profit in their training) and tend to help those people, especially when they have problems.

I presume that if you had failed you would have the same attitude and would willingly kissed your money goodbye. Of course you would. Not a word of complaint. Yea.

V1 Rotate!
6th Feb 2007, 13:35
BBT,

I fully agree with you. The majority of Pilots out there today have spent so much money just getting their licence, only to add insult to injury by being hammered for a substantial sum of money to have the 'honour' of flying for FR!

Yes, I will single out Ryanair because they were the one's who created this wonderful idea. Can you just imagine it? all those brown tongues falling over themselves to impress MOL "Oh Please Michael, I have an idea! Lets charge those glorified bus drivers for the type-rating...after all, we passed the buck when it was a requirement for all new crew to have an MCC!"
Other Airlines looking on couldn't believe the gaul of Mr O Leary, but then thought.....jeez he's actually pulled it off, these guys are actually paying! Let's do it, the precident is set.

So when O'Leary insults his new 'Boeing bus-drivers' by making them live off a wage whereby their take-home pay barely takes them home!!....well thats when the fun is taken out of flying and the job becomes a 'vocation' with a difference!

Ah, that was so nice to get off my chest, now can anyone lend me E30-40k for a type-rating, I'm good for it...honest Guv'!

;)

scroggs
6th Feb 2007, 14:32
Actually, I think Ryanair were nowhere near the first to charge for a TR. If I remember correctly, the practice was established in the '80s , long before FR came to prominence. Even BA effectively charged their cadets for the TR, paying them a reduced salary for the first 7 years.

Scroggs

Aloue
6th Feb 2007, 18:54
Even BA effectively charged their cadets for the TR, paying them a reduced salary for the first 7 years.Scroggs comparing Ryanair to BA in this regard is very misleading indeed. In fact it suggests you have no grasp of how far beyond the traditional cadet scheme Ryanair has gone. There is a phenomenal difference between the two schemes, well documented on posts to be found in this and other threads.

Studsgaard
8th Feb 2007, 13:43
Anyone to share some information about recent assessments?
I know they held one yesterday at EMA.

Diogo
8th Feb 2007, 15:15
I have also been "invited" for sim assessment at ryanair next march...would also like to receive some gouging on recent assessments

Thank you

Sky Goose
8th Feb 2007, 15:47
Went to an assessment yesterday. (EMA)

No tricks,

SID, Steep turns, minor failure, NDB DME back in.

Personal and tech interview combined and very casual.

I'm through and completely over the moon.

Cheers
Goose

Diogo
8th Feb 2007, 17:29
Any gouging on both tech and personal interviews?like questions asked etc..

sam34
8th Feb 2007, 17:35
Ok I read a lot things about Ryanair and Easy Jet.

I wonder what happens if I do not pass the type rating (ryanair) with for example CAE ?

I ask that because if I understood, easy jet repay us our bond less an excess of 5000 £ I think... so around 17000 £.

so it is the same thing about Ryanair? or we lose all our money... :sad:

is there any bond with Ryanair ?

thanks a lot!

Fellow Aviator
8th Feb 2007, 21:07
This post from "Terms and Endearment" might be interesting to someone projecting future RyanAir earnings:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3106642#post3106642

Command up-grade course's starting in march will see new captains on 1/2 basic salaries for the first six months, no doubt that will included the usual 1st April crap, so really 14 months.

MOL recently to the board in the USA that he expects in the not to distant future to have new capt,s on a basic of as low as 44000 euros

cessna310
10th Feb 2007, 09:39
HI,

Is anyone still waiting for assessment call from Ryanair who received email from CAE to update CV on 24th Jan?

cessna310.

Zest
10th Feb 2007, 12:02
Cessna 310,
Yes, I did receive this e-mail from CAE on 24th of January, and still waiting for that call, and other friends as well. Not sure having received this e-mail means they will contact us though ? Any idea ?
Zest

Glide Perfectionist
10th Feb 2007, 14:26
Hi all

Does anybody fancy sharing a 737-200 simulator session before mid March. I am in the process of sourcing a SIM session and feel it might be a good idea to pair up for a pre-assessment practice.

PM me.

CamelhAir
10th Feb 2007, 21:39
Fellow Aviator,

I admire your attempts to warn these people, regrettably it appears that no matter how much you tell them they will regret it, they still want to pay ryanair for a job.

Just consider how long it will take you to break even slaving for ryanair at the current pay rates, then consider how much longer again as they start slashing skippers pay. And that's just to recover cost of your TR. What about all the other training costs before that?
And forget about "moving on to the better job," cos there won't be one as everyone else copies ryanair's t&c's. So you will then have no choice to be stuck long term on mickos "generous" E44k basic. That's your long term future that you're choosing by choosing fr.

Fellow Aviator
11th Feb 2007, 06:13
Thanks CamelhAir.

I suspect that these people that get called for an interview (including myself, but declined) are only a way to sell leftover sim capacity to. Remember, the assessment costs £252! It is a way for RyanAir to lower costs of their training facilities. So people, if you want to be taken advantage of go to RyanAir, they willl gladly take your money!

delwy
11th Feb 2007, 06:36
I too dip in here every so often to see the almost breathless rush of those who, in their desire to get a job in aviation, seem utterly blind to any warnings or risks. They seem to want to believe any nonsense they are told about future earnings and expectations and are willing to gamble ALL on the basis of no written guarantees or documentation up front. Perfect for exploitation.

You would not do this in any other area of life, nor would anyone advise you to act in such a way. What is it about aviation that attracts people so lacking in basic caution? As as been pointed out here, those of you involved in this are sources of revenue and profit at all stages of your progression pass or fail. Interestingly, when they get to command there is a steady rise in the failures of those coming through this system. This dos not matter to Ryanair, as the supply of like-minded pilots seems endless.

Daddy may pay for the CPL/IR, or even your hard-earned savings. But all semblance of common sense seems to leave when the panic of having the licence but no job arrives.

I have now spoken to three people who have failed to get through the Ryanair type rating course. ALL three have been unable to recover any of their money they paid upfront, including one who never even made it into the Full Flight Simulator. NO additional help was provided and their empty seat, remarkably, was filled the day after they failed. Think, just think, about that.

I have also spoken to many more who made it into Ryanair to discover that the warnings were not enough, because things were already worse they had been told.

The warnings are loud and clear and repeated. Just make sure you have enough money and, when things get worse in the aviation industry - as they always do - things will get even worse in Ryanair.

Studsgaard
11th Feb 2007, 07:20
Sounds very depressing!

Does anyone have anything good to say?
Did you get through the assessment day, typerating and got a job with Ryanair?
Did anyone bond for the rating instead of paying up-front?

High Wing Drifter
11th Feb 2007, 07:34
delwy,
I have now spoken to three people who have failed to get through the Ryanair type rating course. ALL three have been unable to recover any of their money they paid upfront, including one who never even made it into the Full Flight Simulator.
Are you stating that cadets are required to pay for the full cost of the TR upfront? Are you also stating that when a cadet fails the TR they don't get the money back for the portion of the TR not reached? :eek:

maeshyfryd
11th Feb 2007, 09:03
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST SOMETHING USEFUL ABOUT THE INTERVIEW AND ASSESSMENT RATHER THAN GO OVER THE SAME OLD GROUND ! !

eg
Questions asked/ SID flown/ tech stuff/ time etc etc

Fellow Aviator
11th Feb 2007, 09:50
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST SOMETHING USEFUL ABOUT THE INTERVIEW AND ASSESSMENT RATHER THAN GO OVER THE SAME OLD GROUND ! !Isn't this readily available in this thread?

Glide Perfectionist
11th Feb 2007, 11:48
The title of this thread gives a clue to what we want to discuss. We do not want to hear constant slagging off of Ryanair.

It would be more appropriate to join another discussion or start your own 'Pros and cons of Ryanair' where your valuable comments can be discussed.

That will leave this topic clear for it's stated purpose ie 'Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment'.

fullrich
11th Feb 2007, 12:07
Just for the reecord , I also turned down an interview with Ryanair. I have since found myself aJob elsewhere. For the sake of us all, think twice before ye allow FR to ruin the industry for ever.

High Wing Drifter
11th Feb 2007, 12:50
I think when people post stating that you'll loose all your TR money if it doesn't go to plan, then a clarification is quite reasonable.

inveritas
11th Feb 2007, 20:57
You do not pay Ryanair any money for the type rating. The TR costs and conditions are quite clear when you sign your contract with either CAE or BFSAA. They sell you a type rating. You sign up for the TR directly with either of the schools.

If you pass it you then proceed to line training with Ryanair. If you are not able to pass the TR and get stopped during training then you lose all your money. The schools then have to find some way to continue the training for the second person who was part of your crew for the training. A mess. Very few fail the type rating. A handful a year.

You should not start a TR course with any airline unless you 110% confident in your ability.

It appears that with Ryanair since PB has tightened up rules in the training area that all struggling students are being identifed very early in the process. They will not tolerate anything other than 110%.

High Wing Drifter
11th Feb 2007, 21:36
If you are not able to pass the TR and get stopped during training then you lose all your money
Caveat emptor and some!

FlyingRat
12th Feb 2007, 16:15
Passed assessment been offered a TR spot.
Now the hard thinking starts! Currently debt free so able to borrow some of the cash without getting too deep in!
Can anyone here who's started with FR say when they were shown their training contract and how much TR was going to cost.
I know I'll get lots of negative responses but some level headed opinions would also be grateful.

Avadoo
12th Feb 2007, 16:55
Currently, 22500 sterling should cover it if CAE based. The TR itself is approx 18500-19000. The other 3500 comprises additions such as licence conversion to IAA issue ( a compulsory requirement), uniform, flights, accommodation and living expenses.
I cant comment on the SAA alternative
but I do believe its considerably more expensive to live in Sweden.

Studsgaard
13th Feb 2007, 14:58
Did anyone in here join todays assessment at EMA?
Could you please give a short summary?

Polarhero
14th Feb 2007, 07:18
Anyone that has recently done the assessment at Dublin want to spill the beans?
Any changes to the sim profile etc?
Any info would help

Cheers

Studsgaard
15th Feb 2007, 07:48
Hi

I assume that PF is placed in the right side of the cockpit for the assessment.
How is the nav setup for the Cpt3b departure?
I guess that whatever you set in Nav1 will appear at the RMI and vice versa.
Thanks!

Willing to sell soul
15th Feb 2007, 12:57
Hi all,

I have been invited to the Ryanair assessment day at EMA in March and just wondered if anyone had got through selection but failed the TR , or if you passed the TR and not gained employment with Ryanair? Would be interested to hear about your experiences.

I know there are some large threads on Ryanair (I've been through them!) and I appreciate people might be reluctant to admit not getting through, but it would give other wannabees a clearer picture of the potential pitfalls etc.

Thanks in advance, :ok:

WTSS

volare_737
15th Feb 2007, 15:00
Any high hour pilot been to an interview at East Midlands lately.
Would like to talk to you – just to get some gen !!!!

volare_737
15th Feb 2007, 15:06
Any high hour pilot been to an interview at East Midlands lately.
Would like to talk to you – just to get some gen !!!!

cessna310
15th Feb 2007, 15:12
Hi,
Did anyone get email from CAE to update CV after 24th Jan? and waiting for call from ryanair for assessment?
gone quite after 24th Jan.

Regards,
Cessna310

USE THE RUDDERS
15th Feb 2007, 16:38
cessna 310,
Still waiting as well!!!!

F.O.E.
15th Feb 2007, 19:40
Dont know if it helps cessna310 and USE THE RUDDERS but i sent my reply off to CAE on the 24 and got an email back on the 8th with a choice of 2 dates the 23 or the 28 of march in Dublin.

flying on empty

anyone with any tips who has done the assessment !?!?!?

CarbHeatIn
15th Feb 2007, 20:00
I did my MCC on the 200 but have assessment on the 800 at EMA. Any tips on the differences between the 2 types?
Thanks in advance :ok:

thepotato232
15th Feb 2007, 20:15
In terms of how they fly, the transition won't be too difficult as long as you can handle the glass cockpit in the 800. Generally speaking, I've found you have to be a little lighter on most of the flight controls compared to the 200, but heavier on the rudder. Other than that, it's not too much of a transition from 2 to 8. On the other hand, I've seen 800 pilots who can't handle the 200 sims to save their lives...

Speaking of 737-200s, that's the 737 variant I'm type rated on. I know that American carriers don't really care what kind of 737 type rating their new hires have, so how strict are the guys at Ryanair about the 800 requirement?

CamelhAir
15th Feb 2007, 21:17
WTSS,
change that username for fe*ks sake, have you no integrity or backbone? :ugh:
fr prey on the likes of you. Remember that.

CamelhAir
15th Feb 2007, 21:25
so how strict are the guys at Ryanair about the 800 requirement?

They would rather that newbies are not rated. This is because new pilots are a profit centre, not a cost. The whole idea is to make them pay extortionate amounts to do the TR, fail a number so more can be brought in to the system, then spit them out on the line on an appalling low basic salary. As this exercise is so profitable, far more FOs than needed are taken, thus they do little flying, hence slower to upgrade to ATPL and command. This keeps em cheap and the training revenue flowing in.
By then treating them as badly as they do, many many will leave before their earnings from fr have ever covered their TR costs. Thus each one is not just cost neutral, but a positive profit for fr and they get them to operate flighst into the bargain, thus they undercut the market for FO's that would rather make a profit from working, as opposed to paying for a job.
Its a slippery slope that shows little sign of ending.

I call upon all wannabes to insert the following into their questions about the recruitment process, to show they understand what they are undertaking:

" I am willing to pay ryan for a job, never make money from it, get shafted from day 1, undercut those who wish to get paid to work and contribute not insignificantly to the continuing deterioration of industry T&C's."

GGV
15th Feb 2007, 21:54
Speaking of 737-200s, that's the 737 variant I'm type rated on. I know that American carriers don't really care what kind of 737 type rating their new hires have, so how strict are the guys at Ryanair about the 800 requirement? Unless I am very much mistaken, we have here one of those wonderful opportunities for a serious trans-atlantic misunderstanding. Hopefully the following will help.

thepotato232 just to confirm: I presume that you are referring to the fact that some U.S. carriers do not require their co-pilots have a full type -rating for the purposes of performing co-pilot duties?

If so, what you mean is "can a rating on another variant suffice?"

Answer: a full rating on the variant to be flown is a requirement on all types when you have a JAA licence. (This is a FAA - JAA difference - though I stand to be corrected on this by any experts here).

CamelhAir's reply reflects the fact that Ryanair prefer their new low time pilots to have no rating so that they will pay an intermediary training organisation for a B737-800 rating, thereby contributing to Ryanair profits (the mechanism is irrelevant here) and, while these pilots think success will lead to a job with Ryanair, they are incorrect (as is made clear in Ryanair's submission to the SEC). Most do join a line of prospective co-pilots, to be called upon when required. However, their employment is hedged by many more caveats than most realise (until they are in the dodo).

Willing to sell soul
15th Feb 2007, 22:52
CamelhAir,

With respect, it's a tongue in cheek user name....chill out!

Unfortuantely, at this point in time it's very much a case of 'if you can't beat 'em, join em'....I have sat with my thumb up my arse, sitting on the moral high ground on Ryanair & SSTR's for a couple of years while people who started training after me have landed ('scuse the pun!) jet jobs because they have done SSTR etc. Apparently, I'm too old, fat and went to the wrong training school to get a job the normal way, so I'm gonna take out a big juicy loan and then get rear ended by Mr O'Leary for a year or two, hopefully then, I'll stroll John Wayne style into a 'proper' airline job.

LOL ;)

WTSS

Fabbe_Far
15th Feb 2007, 23:32
Dont bring that attitude to your assasment day, you might get a call.
Keep Working.:ugh:

thepotato232
16th Feb 2007, 05:04
Thanks for clearing that up. My only misunderstanding was on how specific the JAA and Ryan were about the 737 type variant. Here in the U.S., I can take my 200 type and go start working for guys like Southwest who exclusively operate the new generation 737s. Evidently I'll have to scrounge my own 800 type to be competitive elsewhere.

I know Ryan's program for low-time new hires is pretty shady (as "cadet" programs often are), but I also know there are people who have avoided that whole mess at the company by coming in with the proper credentials. As I'm currently flying an airline job for no profit, I can relate to the problems people are having with Ryan. Being a low-time pilot sucks, plain and simple. There are several operations like the Ryan new hire in the U.S., but they seem to be more honest about what they're doing.

avrodamo
16th Feb 2007, 08:12
WTSS - For what its worth, i did the SSTR route. I secured a position after 6 months with a loco on the 737. All i would say is that having the TR is really on 25% of the battle. Once you start line training, that is where you really sink or swim. Personally, it made the TR a walk in the park. The line training is real airline flying, and for me, i realised very quickly why airlines want experienced people first. You think you know so much, but realise very quickly you know so little. The pace is incredible, and you will be given so many factors that you never even considered in the sim on the TR. ATC, other aircraft, contaminated runways, tech problems, passenger problems, loadsheet problems, overweight on arrival, Low vis ops, manual loadsheets, manual navlogs, horrendous crosswinds.....the list goes on. All 4 of us who started together found it very very hard going. Its a great 'pat on the back' when you get through it, but i would say it is the line training where you will work your hardest and find it the toughest.
When i was doing my TR, there were 2 guys on an Airbus course who got picked up by a loco immediately after finishing. One of them found the line training very very difficult and despite further training sectors ended up handing in his notice. It was just too much for him.

Canada Goose
16th Feb 2007, 08:32
"... hopefully then, I'll stroll John Wayne style into a 'proper' airline job."

Well don't be too disappointed a few years down the road when you find out that the 'proper' airline job isn't what it once was as terms and conditions have deteriorated beyond anything that once resembled a 'proper' job!

That aside, interesting thread topic !

Frantic
16th Feb 2007, 10:13
Guys, come on!! What industry do you think your getting your self into?? TR hard but line training is harder?? Of course it is!! That’s life,

No doubt that tr’s hard work, I have seen guys fail, who I considered to be well above my standard. But determination and a good understanding of the job in hand will see you through.

Get a grip stop paying for your TR and look around as many smaller and more interesting operators are out there looking for fo's.
:}

Willing to sell soul
16th Feb 2007, 10:20
I fear my tongue in cheek comments have been misinterpreted to a degree. My attitude is actually very professional and diligent.

Worsening T&C's are to some degree a by-product of the Low Cost model and it appears that most other airlines have followed suit in some shape or form, where it is now quite rare to get into the RHS without either having payed for a TR (SSTR or Airline backed), pay for a specialist course (e.g. CTC AQC) or merely pay over the odds for an integrated course which gives you the same licence, but some recruitment assistance (e.g. OAT APP). So I take a pragmatic approach, taking into consideration the current market, my age and personal circumstances. At this point in time and for the foreseeable future, Ryanair is my best bet for a RHS job.

As has been said many times before on this forum, if we could get all wannabees to sign up to a 'we're not paying anymore' charter, great! But that's never going to happen. So each individual has to make their own choice....horses for courses.

I thank all those who have replied so far, and wish everyone well with their endeavours.

Cheers,
WTSS :ok:

Frantic
16th Feb 2007, 10:56
Totally agree! Good luck to everyone who has put time and effort into there training. I too once looked at paying for a tr, but I must say that now it is always at the bottom of my list when I start looking for a job.

I think what you have to ask yourself, is what type of flying job do you want and why??

If its airlines why?? What do you know about the job that really wants you to do it??

If its corporate, then same and so on. But I think a lot of you guys and girls come out of oat and the like, and all you see is the airlines. Take a look around, there are plenty of operators out there that pay good money and fly interesting types that will only bond you.

Don’t get to blinkered to what’s really going off around you.

Good luck.:D

IRRenewal
16th Feb 2007, 11:04
tp232,

Under JAR the -200 and -300~900 are considered to be different types. A -200 rated pilot needs to do a complete type rating course to fly the -800, although there might be a reduction in sim time.

HTH

Gerard

nuclear weapon
16th Feb 2007, 11:18
tp232,

Under JAR the -200 and -300~900 are considered to be different types. A -200 rated pilot needs to do a complete type rating course to fly the -800, although their might be a reduction in sim time.

HTH

I only just found this out a couple of days ago. How much reduction in sim time is available for those who have done it.

Mrmoeller
18th Feb 2007, 06:03
What route manual system does Ryanair use? (SIM ASS. and IRL)?

Br.

Mrm

INSIDEVIEW
18th Feb 2007, 17:52
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!
Funny theres a Guy who does the Ryanair Selection and he can run on the other side a business to prepare candidates for Interviews.
So ,i pass if i buy myself 2 Evenings with MR .H and then pay again to get evaluated by him and 2 others ..............
Shame on all of you who play with Dreams of others !!!!
You will pay one day ....maybe aboard an Aircraft with Pilots who "Bought" their Jobs ..not earned !!!
My Opinion ....no comment required ....
Amen

inveritas
18th Feb 2007, 23:46
So Nuclear Weapon you did not make it into Ryanair. Well I guess from reading your post I can see that you may but be able to hack life at Europe's most successful low fares airline.

Oh and your friend - a cadet - did not get his first choice of base straight out of training. What did he really expect. Ryanair is an airline and sends new cadets where they have vacancies. It is not a branch of Thomas Cook! Get real.

WelshRambler
19th Feb 2007, 08:31
To the guys that have been through or know about the sim assessment:

Some colleagues have been suggesting that I get some time in the sim before hand to be familiar and up to speed whilst others have suggested I don't want to look too good initially as they are looking for your ability to learn and improve (as in that if you get a second attempt at something the assessors are looking for you to take their coaching on board and put it to good use).

Is the Ryanair sim assessment a 'one chance' deal where they are looking for people that can turn up and fly the sim very nicely or do they prefer people not necessarily pre-trained, but can keep their cool and when given hints and tips can show the ability to learn and improve?

Basically I'm wondering whether getting some extra sim time in can work against someone.

Ta!

Willing to sell soul
19th Feb 2007, 11:35
Welsh Rambler,

I have also heard these differing points of view regarding sim rides, but the mere fact that you are considering it as an option probably means (and no offence meant) that you are either a little rusty with instrument flying or unfamiliar with type. To me, both cases are strong enough to warrant some practice beforehand.

I have the assessment day on 21st March and have already booked the 737-200 sim at Real Simulation in Yorkshire for the prior day. It's a fair wedge to lay out (approx. £600 for 2 hours plus briefings etc.) on top of travel, accomodation and the £250 for Mr O' Leary's beer fund ;) , but compared with what I've already spent on training, it's small fry. I would hate not to get through selection due to being unprepared for the sim ride. At the end of the day you have to give yourself the best possible chance to get through and preparation in terms of personal/technical interview, sim ride and overall personal presentation is never wasted.

The bit about assessors wanting to see an improvement over the duration etc. Well hopefully, if you've prepared you'll be good on your first attempt and even better on your second, or at least as good. Ideally, you should be able to learn or observe something from every 'flight' you conduct. They can't & don't expect miracles from a low hours/not current on 737 pilot, but are looking for a reasonable standard of flying and good CRM skills etc.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Sky Goose
19th Feb 2007, 12:02
Welsh Rambler
I would definitely get some time in a 737-200 sim. Think it might be a bit too much of a learning curve to learn to handle a jet and the high speeds involved in a 45 min assessment.
When asked at the interview what I'd done to prepare I told them I did some time in a 737-200 FFS to prepare and they didnt seem to mind. You prepare as much as you can for flights, so why not for interview, was the view I took.
I used Realsimulation, 1 hour did the trick, I used MS Flight Sim to brush up on my scan.
All the best of luck.
PS. I know 4 blokes who are flying for Ryanair in the Cadet scheme and all are loving it.:ok:

WelshRambler
19th Feb 2007, 12:07
WTSS & SkyGoose

Thanks for the advice guys :) , I'll give RealSim a bell.

scroggs
19th Feb 2007, 13:45
The 'Vortex Thing' debate has been moved to this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240173) thread, which I've temporarily borrowed from Terms and Endearments. It encapsulates the issue we were discussing quite well, and VT might learn a thing or two about how the industry feels about those who would work for less than the going rate.

Please post any further opinions on the issue in that thread, and leave this one for the discussion purely of Ryanair recruiting.

Scroggs

Diogo
19th Feb 2007, 16:23
I am taking the assessment in a -800, or so they say.

Does anybody know where I can do some sim time on this type to prepare for the assessment?

Thank you very much

Diogo

avrodamo
19th Feb 2007, 18:13
GECAT at Gatwick have a 738 sim. I believe you have to hire it privately through IAGO Solutions. Its not cheap though!

IRRenewal
19th Feb 2007, 19:45
Virtual Aviation (google it) might be able to help as well with an NG sim. Again, cheap it ain't......

Studsgaard
20th Feb 2007, 08:05
Anyone going to Stansted after the interview at EMA tomorrow?
Perhaps we can share a rental car.

Regards,
Studsgaard

mcflight
23rd Feb 2007, 10:52
Hi guys,

Does any one know which exact departure is to be used on the new assessment on the 800 sim??

Fair_Weather_Flyer
23rd Feb 2007, 11:28
Why not just use the PMDG 737NG sim for FS2004? Buy the CH Products flight yoke to make it more realistic It can be configured to the exact Ryanair NG setup. I used it for some sim work for another airline assesment and flying the PMDG sim first was very helpful, to say the least. Best part about it (unlike the other options) is that it's cheap, practice as much as you like and can be resold when you've finished.

Mrmoeller
23rd Feb 2007, 15:19
Hi all,
For SIM practice I've been using lots of hours in a Beech King Air 200 sim for speeding up my crosscheck. On FS I used Wilco's 737 Classic series.
Best SIM tip from the day (I you have no jet experience):
Don't get tempted to lower the nose on the horizon. 3-5 degrees pitch up at level flight (at the speeds and the TOM at the assessment) will be somewhere right.
Remember from theory that it does take som time from throttle movement to airspeed change (either way) and do remember that the engines are underslung so that a thrust increase will give you a pitch up moment. Getting "behind" on speed requires large thrust input.
TRIM and keep clear of the big wheels :)
Best technical interview tip:
Don't ever sell your ATPL theory books and keep reading them.

Br.

skyflyer737
25th Feb 2007, 12:07
This is just a quick update on the Ryanair EMA assessment and interview process for low hour cadet pilots, as I had mine last week.

I applied through the SAA website 3 weeks ago and was contacted v.quickly to arrange an assessment date.

The assessment itself consisted of a sim check flying the CPT3B departure from RW26 at Luton. Once the SID was complete we did steep turns at 30 and 45 degrees angle of bank.

Tracked back to the LUT beacon (no emergency to deal with), a quick hold then the NDB/DME procedure to land RW26. Role as PNF was simply to monitor the PF and alert him/her of any deviations.

Interview was fairly relaxed talking about career history and around six or seven ATPL theory questions on met and air law.

Heard within 30 minutes of the interview that I'd passed. All in all a fairly painless process.

Good luck to anyone else applying.

Diogo
25th Feb 2007, 14:00
met and air law???what about previously flown aircraft???that's what they're supposed to ask right????!!!at least that's what was stated on the e-mail they sent me...I think that's very inappropriate of them to say the least..
Were the questions very difficult?

delwy
25th Feb 2007, 14:27
skyflyer737 did they send you the same information before your interview?

skyflyer737
25th Feb 2007, 15:41
I was asked nothing at all about previously flown aircraft which for me was the Seneca. I swotted up on it for a few days before but nothing came up!

The met and air law questions were not too hard - just basic stuff which to be honest any wannabe airline pilot with a CPL/IR should know. Examples were "Describe radiation fog", "Decode the following TAF/METAR..." "What does the following mean on a synoptic weather chart..." (showing a cold front). "Which way is the front moving?" etc etc.

Air Law questions were based around a Jeppesen approach plate asking the radius of the MSA circle on the chart, altimeter setting procedures, differences between DA and MDA etc.

The information given to me prior to the assessment said nothing about the SID to be flown. It just said there would be a PF and PNF sim check and a 45 min interview on previous aircraft flown and a 45 min interview on general HR style questions such as your suitability to fit into the company etc.

Going back to the met questions etc, they aren't looking for 100% knowledge as I did get a couple wrong and didn't know the answer to another one. Also in the sim check they aren't looking for perfection. I was a bit unsteady in the first 5 or 10 mins but they are looking for improvement throughout your 45 mins of handling I guess.

mcflight
25th Feb 2007, 19:13
skyflyer737
Thank you for your information, by the way on which simulator did you do your assessment the 73-200 or the 800??

Crashlanding
25th Feb 2007, 19:15
I would have thought he did it on the 200 since it appears only those from the (27th of march) onwards who are on the 800 like me, im surprised no one wants to have a bash on a 800 sim with me since the cost of one is through the roof.

Polarhero
25th Feb 2007, 19:16
Sounds about just about the same in the sim for me, CPT3B sid, engine fire, then a few steep turns and then vectors back to the NBD app rw 26 at Luton.

As for the questions bit about yourself then a carb icing one, then swept wing advantages and disadvantages, then one on the 2 stroke engine and how it works (don't ask me why) and finally one on MEL's.

Said they would let us know by Monday, but email to say no that night.:{

But the strangest thing is they then called me a few days later and asked if want to do another assessment, again in Dublin. :confused:
Told them they had just turned me down but they did not seamed to care.

So off to Dublin again :ugh: this time they have sent a full assessment briefing pack.

One thing about the sim to be careful with, in the brief we were told to do touch drills only, then in the interview they asked why i didn't close the thrust lever and shut off the fuel etc. So might be worth asking at the time if they want the full drill or not.

This by the way was in the -200 at Dublin.

And if anyone want the briefing pack for the new assessment let me know as it looks like its not at Luton anymore, Leeds, Liverpool and Prestwick now.

skyflyer737
25th Feb 2007, 20:08
I did my sim assessment at East Mids on the 737-200. They said that everyone from the end of Feb onwards would be on the -800 though.

The Dublin assessment with touch drills etc sounds a lot more complicated than the East Mids one. In that one we had no emergencies or failures at all.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw on which assessor you get.

I also heard some people had 2 / 4 stroke engine questions and swept wing questions.

I also know someone who failed the East Mids interview and then was called for a Dublin assessment and passed, so if anyone doesn't get through at EMA it's not the end of the world!

fred flintstone1
25th Feb 2007, 21:27
Hi,

I have my Assesment on the 1st of March in Dublin can anyone help me out? What is the profile and what kind of questions do you get?

thanks

Polarhero
26th Feb 2007, 06:28
For all the people that want the Briefing for the -200 at Dublin.

I have just cut the plates from the end as the are poor quality and the intro and directions.

The simulator assessment will entail the following:-

Group Briefing:-
Prior to the simulator detail a group briefing of all candidates that day will be conducted. Crews will be paired for the simulator assessment at this stage. Your assessor (check pilot) will be present to answer questions or clarify anything relating to the simulator detail. It will be assumed you have studied this briefing document in detail beforehand.
The simulator is available for a four (4) hour period. Two candidates will be assessed at a time, so you may have to wait a while after the group briefing to be assessed in the simulator.

The Simulator
The simulator detail will be flown from either Liverpool UK (EGGP/LPL), Leeds Bradford UK (EGNM/LBA) or Glasgow Prestwick UK (EGPK/PIK)airports. The Jeppesen navigation and approach plates you require are attached below. However the appropriate plates will be provided to you on the day.

The simulator is a Boeing 737-200. However you are not expected to know anything about the aircraft or it’s procedures.

The primary instruments are:-

Airspeed Indicator (top left). Round dial format. The V speeds will be set for you to V1, Vr (rotate), V2 and 170 knots (134/5/145/170 knots respectively).
Attitude Indicator (top centre). NOTE: the bank angle indicator (‘sky pointer’) at the top of the instrument moves in the opposite direction to the aircraft symbol. If this is not the format you are familiar with please mention it at the briefing.
Altimeter (top right). Round dial format. The QNH will be set for you.
RMI (Radio Magnetic Indicator) (bottom left). The RMI has two indicator needles which may be manually selected to VOR or ADF mode. The left selector is for VOR1/ADF1 and the right for VOR2/ADF2. You will be shown how to switch between them.
DME (Distance Measuring) indication. The left is connected to NAV 1 and right to NAV 2.
HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator) (bottom centre). The instrument has a course selector function. The left (no.1) HSI is connected to NAV 1 (left) and the right HSI is connected to NAV 2. It has an integral localiser and glide slope indication.
VSI (Vertical Speed Indicator) (bottom right). Round dial format. Standard instrument.Pre-flight:-
You may fly the simulator detail from the left or right seat. This is your choice. In the simulator the assessor will sit behind you at the instructor’s panel. You will operate as Pilot Flying (PF) and also as Pilot Monitoring (PM) (i.e. Pilot Not Flying) during the detail.

When Pilot Flying assume you are Captain of the aircraft.
This is important.

The aircraft will be positioned on the runway threshold

with the engines running,
Flaps 5o selected (Take off Flap setting)
All pre-flight checks completed (i.e. the assessor will take responsibility for these checks). However, prior to take off, the PF will need to brief the PM. This briefing should include the following:-

the departure clearance received, including the indicator selection on the RMI (VOR or ADF needles selected) (see below) and the cleared altitude. This altitude is set in the altitude selector, ahead of the Trust Levers. This will be shown to you if required.
the Thrust Lever (Throttles) handling procedure on take-off (who sets the thrust and who handles the Thrust Levers on take-off). Please brief whatever you are comfortable with or what you were taught in your MCC course.
The Vertical profile and speeds to be flown (see below).Once in the simulator the assessor will ‘act’ as an ‘Air Traffic Controller’ (ATC), Cabin Crew/Attendant. They will issue you with all ATC instructions. These must be ‘read back’ by the PM. Treat the ATC instructions as you would real flight/aircraft.

Take-off (F5o) and Initial climb to Flaps up (F0o) – Pilot Flying
The take off and initial climb will be flown manually (NO autopilot, NO auto throttle No Flight Directors).
You can expect a departure clearance ‘climb on runway heading’ to a cleared altitude/flight level. The primary thrust setting instrument is the EPR (Engine Pressure Ratio). The target EPR will be set on the instrument for you (2.10EPR). It is the top instrument on the engine instrument panel, located ahead of the thrust levers.

To commence Takeoff

advance the Thrust Levers to the 12o clock position and pause
allow the engines stabilise at this thrust setting (about 3 seconds) then
set the thrust as per your brief to your colleague, above.
Look out the window and steer the aircraft down the runway with the rudder pedals. They are quite heavy so your inputs will need to be smooth but firm.
The rudder is only used on the ground for take-off and landing. It is not used in the air, except in an engine fail situation. Avoid the temptation to use rudder in the air, like on a small aircraft. In the air you will rapidly induce ‘dutch roll’The sequence of events and calls on take-off will be

the PM will call the speeds (‘Vee One’ and ‘Rotate’).
At the call ‘Rotate’, rotate the aircraft gently but firmly to an initial attitude of 17o up then fly 170 knots.
Next call for ‘Gear Up’. The PM will select Gear to up. To do this pull the lever out and then up.
Maintain 170knots until 3,000 feet agl. This is important.
At 1500 feet agl. call for ‘Climb Thrust/Power’. The PM will manually set climb thrust of 1.90 EPR for you. You should keep both hands on the control column until the Flaps are up (F0o). Maintain 170 knots.
At 3000 feet agl lower the pitch to 10o and accelerate to 220 knots.
Do Not Accelerate above 220 Knots unless advised otherwise. This is the maximum allowed airspeed.
At 170 knots call for ‘Flaps one’ (F1o)
At 190 knots call for ‘Flaps up’ (F0o).
Once you call for ‘Flaps up’ you are responsible for setting thrust. In other words you handle the Thrust Levers for the remaining detail.Ensure you do not let the speed accelerate above 220 knots unless cleared otherwise. This will require a significant thrust/power reduction by you on levelling off. The target EPR is ~ 1.25EPR.

You, the Pilot Flying, are responsible for the setting the thrust
once the Flaps are up

The aircraft has an electric (stabiliser) trim operated by a ‘thumb’ switch on the control column. It is quite powerful, so use only in short ‘bursts’ or ‘bleeps’.

Once the aircraft is ‘clean’ and flying level the assessor will issue further instructions.

The assessor will now give you some climbs, turns and/or descents to allow you familiarise yourself with the characteristics of the aircraft. Be aware the aircraft has the following pitch characteristics:-

‘Pitch & Power’. The Boeing 737-200 has under-wing mounted engines. This means when thrust is increased the aircraft will pitch up noticeably and vice versa. Ensure every time you change thrust you correct for this pitch tendency and re-trim the aircraft
‘Pitch & Speed’. The swept wing characteristics of the aircraft mean that as the aircraft accelerates it pitches up. When you slow up the aircraft it will pitch down. Ensure every time you change airspeed you correct for this pitch tendency and re-trim the aircraftNext the assessor will put you through some ‘upper air exercises’ which are intended to assess the following:-

aircraft handling - general
instrument scan
hand eye co-ordination
spatial orientation (horizontal & vertical)
decision making
CRM (Crew Resource Management) skills
general flight deck management
English language proficiency
These exercises will include a ‘Non Normal’ or ‘Emergency’ situation. You will be expected to operate as a two man crew (as you were taught in MCC training). Treat this situation as if it were a real aircraft and ensure you apply yourself accordingly, whether you are the Pilot Flying or the Pilot Monitoring. Call for the appropriate checklist applicable to your aircraft. Once you do this the assessor will facilitate as required, but you need to call for it.
We are obliged under JAR-FCL regulations to ensure pilots have English Language Proficiency ICAO Level 4 (refer - Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.200). This will primarily be done during this exercise, so ensure you brief all parties comprehensively (ATC, Cabin Crew, your colleague etc.). If you are the Pilot Monitoring ensure you apply good MCC & CRM principles. You will be assessed in your Pilot Monitoring duties.

Once this exercise is complete the assessor will intervene and ‘return’ the aircraft to normal operation.

Following this phase of the detail the assessor will ‘freeze’ the simulator and ask you to

Set the Approach speeds. The Landing Flap is Flaps 30o. The Vref (reference) and Vfly speeds are 135/140 knots respectively.
Brief an arrival (STAR) to a procedural Non Precision Approach (two engines, Autopilot OFF, Flight Director OFF). You will be responsible for briefing the approach, setting the navigation aids and course selections on the HSI and the selections on the RMI. Approach
The Flap & Landing Gear schedule for the approach is as follows:-

Minimum clean speed is 210 knots. The thrust setting required in level flight is roughly 1.25EPR. At this speed call for ‘Flaps one’ (Flaps 1o). Fly 190 knots minimum.
Flaps 1o minimum speed is 190 knots. At this speed call for ‘Flaps five’ (Flaps 5o). Fly 170 knots minimum.
Flaps 5o minimum speed is 170 knots. Fly the initial and intermediate approach at Flaps 5o and 170 knots minimum.
At 2 dots fly up on the Glide slope call for ‘Landing Gear Down, Flaps Fifteen’ (LG, Flaps 15o). Fly 150 knots minimum.
At ½ (half) dot fly up, call for ‘Flaps Thirty’ (Flaps 30o). Fly 140knots. This is the final approach fly speed. The thrust setting required on Glide slope intercept is roughly 1.30EPR.In Summary:-
Flaps / Fly speed minimum / ‘Call for’

F0 / 210 kts. / F1
F1 / 190 kts. / F5
F5 / 170 kts. LG, / F15
LG/F15 / 150 kts. / F30
LG/F30 / 140 kts. / -------

There will no need to do descent, approach or landing checklists during the detail. However you will be responsible for selecting the correct navigation aids and course indication on the HSI. There is no requirement to identify (Morse code) the navigation aids.

Landing
The approach will culminate with a Landing or Go-around (Missed Approach). Once ‘visual’ ensure you maintain a stable approach. In general little will need to change, so avoid the temptation to over-control and de-stabilise the aircraft. Maintain correct speed, the runway centreline and the vertical path (PAPI’s/Glideslope). In summary you will need to ‘look out’ as well as ‘look in’.
Crossing the threshold ensure you look down the runway to allow your peripheral vision determine your height above the runway. At approximately 20 feet gently pitch up a couple of degrees and close the Thrust Levers. The aircraft should ‘sink’ nicely onto the runway. Smooth landings are NOT a criteria of the assessment. The requirement is to be

on the runway centre line
wings level
within the touchdown zone
at the correct speed and with the
vertical speed under control. Once you land the aircraft, stop on the runway centreline. Use the Rudder Pedals to steer and the toe brakes to stop. Use Reverse Thrust if you are familiar with it. However this is not compulsory. The detail is now finished.

Go around (Missed Approach)
Should you not become ‘visual’ by MDA or should the approach become de-stabilised at any point you must Go-around. This will be your decision, so good airmanship and decision making processes are necessary. Avoid the temptation to ‘press on’ with an approach when a Go-around is a better option.

Should you decide to Go-around:-

Call ‘Go-around, Flaps Fifteen’ (GA, F15o). The PM will select the Flaps to 15o
Push the Thrust Levers towards maximum thrust (full arm length action required on the Thrust levers).
Then immediately put both hands on the control column. The PM will set the Thrust to 1.90 EPR.
Pitch up and fly 140 knots minimum. (VflyF30o=V2 F15o). On a Boeing “the speed you fly in is the speed you fly out” (assuming Flaps are re-configured)
Next call ‘Gear Up’. The PM will select the Gear up.
Maintain 140knots & F15o until levelling off. The Flap retraction schedule is the opposite to the extension schedule (above)…..at 150 knots call ‘Flaps 5o’…at 170 knots, call ‘Flaps 1’o and at 190 knots call ‘Flaps up’.
Fly 220 knots maximum unless advised otherwise.Remember, once you call for ‘Flaps up’ you are responsible for the Thrust Levers.

The Go-around is complete when the flaps are up and the aircraft is stabilised in level flight at 220 knots. The detail will either finish at this point or the assessor will advise you to fly another approach.

Crashlanding
26th Feb 2007, 14:22
And for the -800 the same as last post but in the notes I have sai

AUTOPILOT ENGAGED
Folloing this phase of the detail the assessor will invite you to engage the autopilot. Approach speeds will be set once the autopilot is engaged. Landing Flap is 30. The Vref.....

So you will get on the approach to land AUTOPILOT on the 737 -800, Autopilot ON, Flight Director ON, Auto throttle OFF.

The rest of the profile is the same as last post bar the AUTOPILOT part for approach.

Diogo
26th Feb 2007, 15:51
This will primarily be done during this exercise, so ensure you brief all parties comprehensively (ATC, Cabin Crew, your colleague etc.).
When and what kind of briefing are we expected to give in this situation?

mcflight
27th Feb 2007, 10:41
Diogo,

I imagine this will be done as on the mcc, finish your memory items/your emergency actions and when everything is under control brief.
When are you going to east midlands?

Diogo
27th Feb 2007, 12:25
I see..But I don't think we are briefed on the emergency procedure beforehand..I already received the pre-sim briefing and there wasn't any kind of mention to the Emergency situation that we are going to be faced with

I'm going on March 9th and you?

mcflight
27th Feb 2007, 12:51
Well maby they give it on the day of the assessment, im going the 20th

Myster Mask
28th Feb 2007, 08:39
Hello,
I noticed something which lloks strange to me in the speeds associated with flaps:
Flaps / Fly speed minimum / ‘Call for’

F0 / 210 kts. / F1
F1 / 190 kts. / F5
F5 / 170 kts. LG, / F15
LG/F15 / 150 kts. / F30
LG/F30 / 140 kts. / -------this means minimum speed for flaps 5° is 170kt. OK.

But in the go-around procedure, they say:
Maintain 140knots & F15o until levelling off. The Flap retraction schedule is the opposite to the extension schedule (above)…..at 150 knots call ‘Flaps 5o’…at 170 knots, call ‘Flaps 1’o and at 190 knots call ‘Flaps up’.They call Flaps 5° at 150kt, under the flaps-5°-minimum-speed!

Where is the truth? What should be done?

Turkish777
28th Feb 2007, 13:48
Hello All

Just a quicky....

On the CAE web page it has the necessary requirements in order to enroll for the Ryan Air Scam..Scheme I mean :E ...and one mentioned is obviously a valid multi-engine instrument rating. Now here is the question, my MEP expired December just gone but my ME IR is valid until June 2007. Does this mean that I am still allowed to apply? Or does this mean my ME privileges are not valid but the IR is??? I’ve tried ringing the CAA several times but each time I was left on hold too long consequently eating my credit up...Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

shabo8
28th Feb 2007, 15:01
Hi Turkish

Unless the website specifically asks for a valid MEP rating which i doubt then ur fine. All they are interested in is a valid ME IR which will become a MPA( Multi Pilot Aeroplane) IR upon completion of your type rating.

Just be careful though as you say yours expires in June 2007. You need it to be valid to start the type rating obviously. However if it expires during the duration of the course you won't be required to do the renewal. I had the same issues last year before starting my tr but thankfully I was fine.

Best of Luck

Willing to sell soul
28th Feb 2007, 18:28
Turkish,

I can also confirm that you don't need to worry about the MEP rating for the Ryanair application. I renewed my IR in January on an FNPTII and have been invited to the EMA assessment in March.

All the best!

virtualaviation
1st Mar 2007, 09:43
Does anyone have the telephone number for the Ryanair Training Centre at East Midlands?

Also, I'm wondering if Ryanair anyone knows whether Ryanair have started using the 737-800 simulator for assessments, instead of the old 737-200? If so, I wonder if it's a permanent change, or just temporary?

I'm just wondering because we're starting to get regular calls from Ryanair candidates regarding 737-800 simulator practice.

Diogo
1st Mar 2007, 11:06
Anyone know in what format references must be supplied to Ryanair? Do they require a recommendation letter or is the reference's contact simply enough?

Thank you

Willing to sell soul
1st Mar 2007, 12:44
Hi Diogo,

I asked the guys at EMA and was told to bring the details of one work and one personal reference, who will be contacted in due course, if you pass selection.

All the best!

Willing to sell soul
1st Mar 2007, 12:47
Does anyone have any feedback, positive or negative on the 737-200 sim and preparation course at Realsimulation?

Cheers,
WTSS

Turkish777
1st Mar 2007, 12:50
Thank you Willing to sell soul and shabo8, puts my mind at rest...good luck :ok:

genius747
1st Mar 2007, 13:00
Hi, a quick post to see if anybody else here is scheduled for a sim assessment with Ryanair on May 4th next??

PM me Please!.

G747

virtualaviation
1st Mar 2007, 13:23
>> Does anyone have any feedback, positive or negative on the 737-200 sim and preparation course at Realsimulation?

Not personally, but I guy I know who went there for practice prior to a Thomsonfly 737-300 assessment last year said it was counter-productive. He said the instruments were not synchronised... descending on the glideslope at 700-800fpm on the altimeter, the VSI showed 300fpm.

It's a generic sim, not a real Boeing one. I don't believe it has any CAA certification and is only used for fun/practice, not for type-rating or recurrent training.

I've heard much more favourable reports of the Simtech 737-200 in Dublin, and the 727-200 in Bournemouth.

Northern Highflyer
1st Mar 2007, 13:52
I found the sim session with realsimulation useful to get to grips with the SID for the assessment, and for the general handling qualities of a jet. As it is a 200 it is different to the 300 EFIS version I eventually did my assessment in, and in that respect it didn't help a great deal. If you are in the 200 at EMA you should be ok though.

What the sim practice didn't do, and probably had a negative effect on my performance as viewed by the examiner, was the fact that they don't know exactly what the SOP's are for the assessment, or the exact way in which you are expected to fly the procedure. You will tend to fly the way you were shown in the practice which may not be what they are looking for. Just be aware of this on the day.

My assessment wasn't for Ryanair so it may be different with them.

virtualaviation

I believe that when the 200 goes offline it will be a permanent thing and all assessments will then be on the 800.

NH

-8AS
2nd Mar 2007, 08:54
Virtualaviation.

-800 now used for assessments.

Polarhero
2nd Mar 2007, 09:38
They are still using the -200 at Dublin tho.

Will964
2nd Mar 2007, 23:25
Is anyone concerned at the sheer number of pilots Ryanair appear to be interviewing and then offering places to. :confused: Does Ryan have the resources to cope with an influx of this many inexperienced FOs? I had thought they were loosing training captains by the fist full, so how long will the wait between finishing the TR and starting line training become? I understand they had got it down to an expectable level, but surely this will blow out again. :ugh:

fredmrs
3rd Mar 2007, 03:06
Can anyone tell me usually how long before you get a reply after doing the assessment day at EMA?
I did mine on tuesday and still no reply .... I thought it was within 24Hrs but oviously not ?

Thanks.

Aloue
3rd Mar 2007, 09:25
Is anyone concerned at the sheer number of pilots Ryanair appear to be interviewing and then offering places to. As far as I can make out, the answer is yes - except for those who should be concerned about it, namely those who are going to part with their money.

Just in case you missed it, for Ryanair this is a profit centre. There cannot be too many trainees, because they are a source of revenue and an unpaid reserve of pilots to be brought into the company when they are required. You don’t get paid until they become productive. They just wait and worry; if they contact somebody for info the resulting conversation is frequently offensive and aggressive (because, even if you don't realise it by then, your are already entrapped and expendable). To spell it out in even clearer terms:

You pay up front for the rating. If you fail at any point you get no refund.

You do not get paid during training. Your contract is not with Ryanair but with at least one, if not two, intermediary organisations. This makes legal action hard to contemplate.

You only get verbal explanations or promises of what the future holds. You do not get to see a Ryanair contract. You do not get written salary scales (not least because they don’t exist). You certainly are not guaranteed (in writing) to get a job, nor are you given a timescale within which you will receive pay.

It is into this environment that ALL cadet pilots enter and part with their money. Few for whom this has gone very badly wrong have had the honesty and courage to come here and explain what happened (but there are a couple if you look carefully).

Bottom line: you could (though this is exceptional) remain unline-trained up to 18 months after paying for the type rating. You discover that there is no pay until you are almost finished line-training. You will be bonded for line training (to further prevent you from leaving). You will be paid at lower percentages of pay than other pilots for up to 23 months. Finally, when you reach the end of this game, a percentage of the successful trainees will be told that there are no permanent Ryanair positions available, but that they will consider you as a contractor – and you will be given a “take it or leave it” offer.

If you leave, your slot will be filled by another who pays upfront for the rating ….. and the cycle continues to contribute to Ryanair’s profits and unpaid reserve of cannon fodder.

The line of candidates for this exploitation and madness is both long and willing. It may take some time for the message to get through.

skyflyer737
3rd Mar 2007, 11:05
Aloue, Thanks for the info. Could you explain how you are bonded during your line training?

Also, do you know if base training is included in the 24,500 Euros type rating cost with CAE(Amsterdam) or is that payable separately? If so, what's the cost of that?

Thanks
SkyFlyer737

EGAC_Ramper
3rd Mar 2007, 16:07
Base training is not funded by yourself.

easyflybywire
3rd Mar 2007, 16:17
I can also confirm that you don't need to worry about the MEP rating for the Ryanair application. I renewed my IR in January on an FNPTII and have been invited to the EMA assessment in March.

True for the ryanair application but you'll need it before starting the TQ if you pass the assessment...

DragStrut
3rd Mar 2007, 21:50
easyflybywire

is this a Ryanair quirk?? as in my experience the only requirement to start a type rating by the caa is a valid MEIR the MEP rating is not required to be valid when starting the rating. i have renewed my MEIR but my MEP has lapsed and i had no probs getting the rating.

Dragstrut
:ok: :ok:

easyflybywire
4th Mar 2007, 14:05
Dragstrut,

I was doing the same : renew of IR/ME every year on FNPT2 and they didn't say anything during the interview but I was asked to get my MEP back before starting the type rating.
OK I know it seems stupid to renew a piston rating before starting a jet type rating but that's the way it is with ryan and I'm not sure it is the only company to ask that...
2000 euros, in my opinion, for nothing... :ugh:

;)

planeshipcar
6th Mar 2007, 05:46
Is there much in the costs between CAE and SAS, when it comes down to living expences?

Also would most recommend Parc over the Ryan MCC courses at CAE or SAS or do you think there is little difference - they get you through the door.

How easily have guys got on to Ryan MCC and what was the assessment day like and what questions.

cheers,
planeshipcar

mcflight
7th Mar 2007, 09:12
Is there anyone who allready did his assessement on the B737-800?? if yes could you inform me on how it was, which field was in use for departure an arrival which types of approaches did you get?
Thanx in advanced!

YYZ
8th Mar 2007, 16:14
I’m at SAS now, half the guys did the MCC here, and therefore I would say it is worth doing the MCC here given the choice?
As for cost, the rating and bank transfer and security check has cost me £18,600 ish so far, accom is reasonable here from a guy who seems to only rent to Ryanair guys?
As for SAS, wow, fantastic place, im sure people will say it should be for the money, but many do CPL/IR in a wood hut, this place has no expense spared, saunas, gym, cheap canteen and sims of course!
All in all so far im happy, time will tell I guess, but everything they said was going to happen has, and on time?
If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me and I will answer when I get chance.
YYZ

Sky Goose
11th Mar 2007, 08:25
Does anyone have any feedback on wether you really do need a valid MEP or just a ME-IR (completed on an FNPT 2) to do the FR type rating. Any feedback welcome as I'll be commencing my course in 2 weeks.
cheers
Goose

Skydreams
11th Mar 2007, 10:52
Mmm....just a thought - but had you thought about asking them?

Sky Goose
11th Mar 2007, 15:02
Thanks Skydream,

Will do that on monday, just though someone might put my mind at rest earlier.

Beaver diver
12th Mar 2007, 08:56
Some people here are more interesting about arguing with others what is each individual's best choice or not. Let's open a new topic called "Bu...hit and rumours" huh?
This is an assesment/Ryanair/training topic (or It used to be until our dear moderators threw in bunch of topics from everywhere) so let's stick to it. I don't wanna know your personal pains and issues and detailing your negative irrational thoughts, guessings and speculations etc. as most of us wasn't born with the silver spoon in our mouth and at the end of the day; life is what you make it!
OK, got that one out fairly quickly, didn't I?
Back to the 800 vs 200 questions and answers.
The reason they were using 200 is mainly because of the analog instruments used in that model and pretty straight rudder and stick flying and manouverability of that a/c. Most low time pilots come from analog background, therefore it is easier to adapt to 200 than 800.
Why are they using 800, beats me, but I guess they want more stringent pilots. Part of this is also us yapping here on pprune about procedures,interviews etc, and believe me, they do have HR people monitoring web sites and then take actions accordingly!
Their main goal on SIM assesment for them is to see how is your first initial contact with full size medium jet and your handling characteristics during procedures they gave you and not how well you can handle it after 10 hours of self paid SIM with Realsimulation.
It is not in their favour, having hundreds of people going into 737-200 sim (£259 ph, not so expensive isn't it?) on their own prior to assesment and book 5 or 10 hours on it, and then come and do the assesment at EMA as this way, they don't get the realistic picture of who they are hiring.
Well, they know you will have a hard time doing the same thing in a 737-800 sim, agree?
So, this could be one of the main factors...

Cheers and don't be negative for crying out loud!:suspect:

CCR
12th Mar 2007, 10:11
Ryanair no longer fly the 737-200 airicraft and have sold their 737-200 simulator in East Midlands. That's probably the reason why the simcheck there is now on the 737-800.

count dingleberry
12th Mar 2007, 10:54
the 737-800 is alot easier to fly than the 737-200, especially in the simulator. Regardless of level of experience.

Skydreams
12th Mar 2007, 19:02
Has anybody done the sim assessment/interview in the last week or so? If yes, which airport did you fly in/out of? Did you do a SID +/or STAR? What was your emergency? Any details from sim or interview would be greatly appreciated, I have mine in a little over a week...

thanks!
SD

flyer79
13th Mar 2007, 18:12
Hi all,

I got an email, yesterday from FR, inviting me also to EMA on 737-800. Haven't flown the 800, only the 200 for my MCC.

Anyone gotfeedback from the last sim assessment, SID, STAR, Profile

What kind of technical questions do they ask you? A friend of mine had only a question on how to use POH and perf charts, another, had tough questions in Theory of flight and engines.

I'm so stressed now that I can't even write.
Please Help!

Flyer79

virtualaviation
13th Mar 2007, 18:26
Flyer 79,

Call me on 01223 248022 and I'll talk you through the profile. May actually be able to send it to you.

James

Crashlanding
13th Mar 2007, 18:57
Flyer79 If you look back about 2 pages you will find post
451 and 452
They are the profile for 737 -200 and the difference for the 737 -800 profile

0-8
14th Mar 2007, 10:04
Hi all,

I recently found out that I have an assessment at EMA in a week and I am planning on getting a bit of sim practice before hand.

Is anybody interested in sharing some sim time? That way we would both either get twice as much time in the sim or pay half the price. It would also be an excellent opportunity to practice CRM as PNF which is also evaluated in the sim.

If you have already booked a slot I would be wiling to either split the cost and share, or book the following/previous slot and we could double the time.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,
0-8

P.S
Good luck all!

sunshinedixon
14th Mar 2007, 10:33
Hey 0-8
when is u'r
Assessment
date?? is it in Dublin or midlands??
I'd be happy to be your Sim partner.....
we need a 737-200 though??
email me
sunshine;)
ps I am brand new here.....just joint pprune yesterday:O

flyer79
14th Mar 2007, 18:14
Hi O-8, I have an assessment in EMA too, in April.
You need the 737-800, that's the one in use there.
I'd be happy to share the sim with you, so we can share the cost and experience.
If interested, drop me an email.

Take care and good luck

Flyer79

TrimTrimTrim
14th Mar 2007, 20:15
Hi,
Just to let everyone know, the 737 200 from EMA is indeed moving to it's new home in the South, however will remain in it's transportation container until it makes the second part of it's journey to Australia. This I know will come as a BIG surprise to a number of people.
TTT

genius747
15th Mar 2007, 18:52
hey, what date and where is your ryr interview/sim assessment/\. i have one in May

Myster Mask
15th Mar 2007, 20:55
I have my assessment in Dublin in may as well, the 2nd. As a friend adviced me, I'm trying to get some 737-200 training at Parc Aviation in the late april!
In Dublin, is it still the 737-200 that is used?
If somebody has his assessment in early May, contact me! It will be a real pleasure to share preparation!

F.O.E.
15th Mar 2007, 20:59
I have an assessment at the end of march....... should I have received details for the assessment by now? Anyone else who has their assessment soon still waiting for an information pack?

Crashlanding
15th Mar 2007, 21:03
FOE where are you at EMA or Dublin? I got my info a while back, let me know what date your sitting, if your EMA ill email you if you pm your email address to me

F.O.E.
15th Mar 2007, 21:40
Mine is in Dublin on the 28th of March

FOE

Crashlanding
15th Mar 2007, 21:45
Thats a shame your at dublin, we have the same date. Im at EMA so my profile is slightly different but if you look at post 451 you will find the profile that you will use for dublin

cessna310
16th Mar 2007, 20:42
Hi There,
I have an assessment in second week of May at Dublin.Anyone want to share sim in yorkshire.Please let me know.

Regards,
cessna310

Zest
19th Mar 2007, 12:45
Hi Guys,
Thanks to all who posted their feedback on this thread, a lot of help !
I have my FR sim assessment in April, in EMA, on 737-800. I have been told that SID, STARS... procedures have recently changed.
Any feedback from pilots who attended the assessment in the last weeks ?
Cheers
Zest

volare_737
19th Mar 2007, 14:45
Hi - had assessment last week.
Sim profile was straight forward. Dep out of Luton RWY 26, cant remember what is was called. But basicaly after departure left turn at - I think 1030 feet to intercept radial. U basicaly straight on it. Then right to intercept QDM to NDB climbing to 5000'. Then Radar Vectors - Mailfunction - we had Engine fire - to recalls - engine back and Radarvectors back to NDB at Luton. Examiner ask here we are on the plate - then back for NDB,DME approach on RWY 26. All straight forward and no hiden tricks. Very nice people !!
Good luck and enjoy !!!!!

Crashlanding
19th Mar 2007, 15:06
Was this dublin or EMA, that you had your sim assesment.

And did you have the assesment pack? As Luton is not in the 3 airports they have given charts for

volare_737
19th Mar 2007, 15:16
Was at EMA. And – No – we did not have any assessment pack. Just walk in and got handed the Jep plates. Everything was written on the board (EPR setting, speeds etc …)
I am sure it was Luton, but we had a couple of beers after the assessment !!!!!!!!!!!!

Crashlanding
19th Mar 2007, 15:18
OK this is probably a given, im assuming it was on the -800 not the -200 and did they give you the autopilot for the approach?

cessna310
19th Mar 2007, 15:51
Hi ,
I have assessment in Dublin. Which SID,STAR Do they use?I have been given Liverpool, Glasgow, Leeds-Bradford. What do they ask in Interview?Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Regards,
cessna310

Coffin_Corner
19th Mar 2007, 16:48
Hi there!
I have my assessment on the 28 of march at east midlands.
Anyone else has it on the same day?
Ciao :)

0-8
21st Mar 2007, 07:56
Does anybody have an update on the profile or tech questions?

My assessment is coming up and *any* relevant info would be very helpful.

Cheers,
0-8

JETSTREAM_
21st Mar 2007, 12:05
Anyone interested in sharing a sim ride in PARIS to train for the assessment?

Turkish777
2nd Apr 2007, 12:54
Seems theres lots of feed back on EMA but not so much on Dublin. Has anyone had any recent interviews in Dublin, mine is on May the fourth??

Im booked in at Sim Tech the night before if anyone fancys pairing up let me know..Im doing 90 mins

top jock
2nd Apr 2007, 13:33
if anybody wants to look up the B737 or any other aircraft type for questions, look up www.smartcockpit.com (http://www.smartcockpit.com) . its a great website full of all types of questions and answers and since your paying for everything with the Ryans you will be glad to hear its free.
one of the Ryanair contractors has set up this site and i must say well done. all his hard work shines through on this site..

Zest
2nd Apr 2007, 16:20
Hello ;)
Any updated info from those who just had their assessment in EMA ?

Turkish777
3rd Apr 2007, 18:05
Can anyone actually read the plates sent to them by Ryan Air?? Ive tried finding some clearer copies of them on line but obviously they change as time moves on and im not sure of the age of the ones I have...:ugh:

Ryanair_Pilot
5th Apr 2007, 20:21
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone going to the pilot recruitment open day in Berlin on the 14th and 15th of April. From what i have been told by a friend of mine who currently works for Ryanair there will be oppotunity to hand in your CV (if you're a low hour chap like me) and i guess you can get to know who runs the show. For me it'll be a opportunity to find out exactly what Ryanair look for in a cadet!

I think there will be interviews but they are for exprenced pilots. The details are on the airlines website

Is there anyone else going???

christopher_faulds
6th Apr 2007, 16:40
Hello all,
Just a quick one. How long are the guys that applied through CAE waiting to be called up for an interview/sim assessment? I've applied from the UK so I think that means I'll be sent to EMA?
I've waited nearly a month now (I realize this may be normal) but I get the feeling people are generally getting called up a lot quicker than this.:confused:
Thanks guys and good luck:ok:

YYZ
6th Apr 2007, 19:33
I waited over one year, but it has been around a month lately, depends if they are still needing people?

YYZ

Blueskies82
7th Apr 2007, 08:51
Anyone going to the Ryanair assesment on 10th April at EMA?

blueangel_91
7th Apr 2007, 12:50
Hi Blueskies82,

I also have Ryanair Assessment on the 10th of April. May I ask, how you have prepared yourself? I took 4h on a 737-800 FNPT2 and also flew on the FS2004.....

Best Regards
Robert

alex111
7th Apr 2007, 16:30
apologies if this post has nothing to do with the current discussion...
I was wondering where u guys applied for the Ryanair type rating scheme and how long u had to wait before the selection process... I sent off my application to CAE in January but haven't heard from them yet. I've also written an email to the SAS guy and he said that if I had an MCC certificate than I should apply directly on Ryanair's website (???)... but there's nowhere on the website where u can apply.
Thanxs for any help.
Alex.

blueangel_91
7th Apr 2007, 22:49
Hi Alex.

Well I have applied over the following link : http://www.cae.com/cts/RyanairProg.shtml.......

At the bottom there is the the application form, which has to be filled in. I applied in December, and about 1 month later, I got an answer from CAE, to send them back a summery of my flying hours, and other documents. After this 2-3 weeks later I got a call from Dublin concerning the date of my assessment.

Hope I could help you.

Best Regards
Robert

alex111
8th Apr 2007, 01:49
Thanx for the reply, I have applied to the same place u did in January and still haven't heard from them. Were u just out an ATPL course when u applied or did u have some experience already?

Cheers, alex.

cessna310
9th Apr 2007, 20:12
Hi,
Anyone been to Dublin for sim assessment.I have assessment in second week of May.Which SID,STAR they use most.What they ask for Tech interview? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Best of luck to all.

Regards,
cessna310.