PDA

View Full Version : BA Direct Entry Pilot.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RC10
11th Mar 2016, 08:08
Polepilot-If I were you I'd probably call the recruitment team to confirm. They have been very helpful on all the occasions I made any telephone queries during the recruitment process. The worst outcome would be to put in all the work and fall foul of something as minor as the 12month rule. Good luck!

On a slightly different topic- are there any fellow LH hold pool swimmers that have been allocated courses in Jul and Aug yet? I'm guessing the average lead time on call to course is 3-4 months due to the notice period most recruits have with their own operators. It seems the first half of the year for DEPs had a distinctly 787 slant. Does anyone know if this is still the case or are other fleets now soaking up some of the new entries?

Rolling24
11th Mar 2016, 16:32
RC10: I know people that have been offered 777 courses recently, with their start dates being in June.

cessnapete
11th Mar 2016, 16:50
And A380 with June start dates.

Jwscud
12th Mar 2016, 10:07
When I was given my offer on the 777, I asked the lady about a few things and she said the 787 courses were mainly full and no more would be going across until the Autumn.

minwas
13th Mar 2016, 05:53
Hello people. Does anyone know a way to prepare for the VTS1 test? Like a book or software or something else

Club World
13th Mar 2016, 10:54
I did day one just over 9 months ago, didn't pass, I believe BA have asked people in earlier than 12 months, is that automatic as I telephoned the recruitment team 3 weeks ago and they said it's still the full 12 months because of legality reasons the tests are still valid and that would need to wait, shame really as there long haul dep has been extended again now till April, are they getting enough applicants or are people struggling with the assessments

Jwscud
13th Mar 2016, 18:04
Just like to thank everyone who took the time to get in touch and answer my questions!

Club World - I believe the call back was only for those in the latter stages - interview, group or sim rather than day 1, which in my view is the hardest part of the process.

Club World
13th Mar 2016, 18:14
Thank you Jwscud - makes sense now, and I agree that day one is tough

RexBanner
13th Mar 2016, 21:35
People were asked back to Day One earlier than twelve months if they were type rated. I can confirm that as I was one of them.

Club World
13th Mar 2016, 21:41
Interesting Rexbanner - I'm type rated too long haul, I guess you and others were boarderline as in you all did well, I don't believe I did at all great on those two computer tests which is probably the reason for not getting the invite earlier, another 3 months to prepare if I am selected again

RexBanner
13th Mar 2016, 21:51
We were all told that we were borderline pass, only having to resit one thing or the other. Apparently you were only invited back under those circumstances, if you failed everything then no chance. I think that was mainly an A320 thing though when it happened. One of the gents from recruitment happened to tell me during lunch on day two that of the people who had been invited back, not that many had managed to pass second time around. Whether that's true or not who knows?

Yorkshire_Pudding
14th Mar 2016, 08:57
I heard of one pilot who went through selection 6 times before eventually passing. Not sure it's it's true or not.

12 months to reapply is reasonable. Some airlines will never allow you apply a second time. Others impose a 2 year wait, etc.

CrazyEddy
14th Mar 2016, 10:06
Having just entered the hold pool - (Wahey!!!) can anyone who has recently been given a start date give an idea of how long that takes??

Many thanks....

Jwscud
14th Mar 2016, 10:44
Congratulations. In late Jan the hold pool update said they were making Long Haul offers for start dates 4 months hence and A320 rated for around 6 months hence.

Given that they seem to be looking at non-rated people in the system for the 320 again, I suspect waits for an Airbus start date will be shorter than indicated in January.

CrazyEddy
14th Mar 2016, 11:41
Thanks JW.... any idea how long people are in the hold pool before hearing anything?

Harry palmer
14th Mar 2016, 11:45
How long between sim a s result Crazyed?

CrazyEddy
14th Mar 2016, 11:47
Harry - 4 days..

Harry palmer
14th Mar 2016, 12:44
Cheers Crazy sorry did you have a Monday slot? Cheers HP.

Congrats by the way.

EMB-145LR
14th Mar 2016, 13:01
Have you been in for another go, Harry? Best of luck if you have, I know how much you want it.

MikeHoncho
14th Mar 2016, 14:57
I just applied to DEP BA Longhaul and have my Day1 next week the 23rd. Is that enough to get prepared for it. I heard the aptitude tests are pretty difficult so I want to cheat a little by downloading the practice tests from Skytest.
Anybody has experience with this?

2 Whites 2 Reds
14th Mar 2016, 16:48
have my Day1 next week the 23rd. Is that enough to get prepared for it.

Depends how much work you put in between now and then.

I heard the aptitude tests are pretty difficult so I want to cheat a little by downloading the practice tests from Skytest.

They're tricky for sure. SkyTest is very useful, many people I know have used it with varying levels of success on the day. I used it and got it so can only sing its praises. It's certainly not cheating, it's preparing, which is exactly what BA expect you to do.

Best of luck, BA is certainly not perfect but despite the moaning and groaning after recent events, it's still the best gig in town IMHO.

VJW
14th Mar 2016, 17:21
I'd be very interested to know if the verbal test has now gone and been replaced by something else, as was mentioned possibly above...PM me if anyone has details on this- the verbal test keeps me from getting to day 2 each time I'm sure :)

FullClimb
14th Mar 2016, 22:10
Old verbal reasoning test has been replaced by a newer test which I believe is a fairer reflection on the candidates information processing and the best way to practice is the email BA send you.

Hikmah
15th Mar 2016, 06:45
With the new flight pay, for long haul flights with three and four Pilots, how is the flying pay calculated? Is it simply total block time, or is rest time deducted?

On a similar theme, how are the flying hours logged in the same scenarios.

Thanks

wiggy
15th Mar 2016, 07:05
Flying pay: it's the entire planned block time for everybody, regardless of role...(that is until somebody comes up with the next bright idea to ensure the company still allow us to have a pilot only bonus scheme.......cynical?..... moi?)

Flying Hours: To paraphrase the Ops manual - The nominated commander logs all the block time, everybody else only logs proportionate seat time ( FWIW that includes any relief captain) - for the purposes of the licence & company upgrades, etc..

However you do also need to have a record somewhere (perhaps a spare logbook column) of total achieved block time, regardless of role, because all hours flown, including bunk hours, count towards FTLs and scheduling limits...(that is until..... :oh:).

Now stands by for inevitable comments from some in the short haul community, and perhaps from some headed there.....please remember do not shoot the messenger....:ouch:

Hikmah
15th Mar 2016, 08:44
So Wiggy, regarding planned block time, in the case of a diversion and resulting disruption/possible extra sector - all of that is unpaid?

wiggy
15th Mar 2016, 09:18
TBH I'm going to waffle and say I can't give a definitive answer since the rules on that are buried away in Bidline appendices and flow charts (extra payments, if any, can depend on the why, how and where....) so I'd best leave an authorative answer to someone who has diverted more recently that I have.

I would point out that the days of picking up loads of extra dosh for extra sectors, or extended sectors (overrun payments) or even being really very late ( extra Box payments) have long gone. It's a nice suprise if you do see extra payments on the payslip but I certainly wouldn't rely on it as part of your income stream, especially as in Longhaul it doesn't happen that often. I reckon I've only diverted once in the last 4-5 years.

Hikmah
15th Mar 2016, 09:39
As always, thank you for your input Wiggy.

Wirbelsturm
15th Mar 2016, 09:43
regarding planned block time, in the case of a diversion and resulting disruption/possible extra sector - all of that is unpaid?

AFAIK any diversion/disruption which increases the duty time is automatically paid at standard rate. You need to keep a close eye on your pay statement st the end of the month as these extra hours can often 'fall through the cracks'. ;)

pudoc
15th Mar 2016, 21:27
A current UK issued EASA ATPL(A) Flight Crew Licence with Class 1 medical or the ability to convert your licence to a UK issued EASA ATPL(A) before joining

The requirement for direct entry long haul state the above. Does this mean I can definitely apply with a CPL as I meet the requirements of an ATPL but can't do the skills test for a few months? Anyone been offered a position in this scenario?

CrazyEddy
15th Mar 2016, 23:14
No - I believe that that clause is to cater for those without a UK EASA ATPL but with one issued by (for example) a Gulf state or even Ireland or Mainland Europe, who would be able to have it changed between being offered a position and starting with the company.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for!

CE

Jwscud
16th Mar 2016, 13:55
I would suggest getting in touch with recruitment and explaining the situation (if you work for who I think and have just seen the memo I think) and see what they say.

MikeHoncho
18th Mar 2016, 17:32
Who is going to the day 1 assessment next week 23 march?

patm92
18th Mar 2016, 19:46
Quick question, I submitted my online application on Saturday (12th March) for the A320 Fleet. How long can I expect to wait until I hear back from British Airways?

Thanks

MikeHoncho
18th Mar 2016, 20:29
I applied for DEP Longhaul. I got a answer 1 day later.

Club World
19th Mar 2016, 14:05
From Careers Home - British Airways (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com)

'Please note the following information if you have made a previous application to us. We cannot accept a new application within:
6 Months if you were unsuccessful at initial application screening
12 months if you were unsuccessful at any stage of testing/interview/simulator assessment. You are welcome to reapply 12 months from the date you attended initial aptitude testing

When you proceed to apply

Have you previously applied for this role or any other Pilot role within the last 6 months

Note any other role which in your case is LH DEP

Please note that only one application can be accepted within a rolling 6 month period.

Have you attended the assessment stage in the last 12 months

However as we know BA does change policy from time to time, such as inviting people before the 12 months has elapsed.

I too would like another shot but have to wait 12 months, but to put your mind at rest why not phone BA recruitment, they seem always happy to help.

VJW
19th Mar 2016, 21:43
Again I told the person who asked me the above, but I wasn't actually sure. It was more the fact he tried applying within 12 months and ticked 'no' to the above questions. He hadn't heard back from BA re the second application, and I explained this might be why. Just wanted to check...thanks

NukeHunt
20th Mar 2016, 22:04
Having recently failed the sim assessment, don't assume the 10 minutes un-assessed practice is really as un-assessed as they tell you.

Any insiders know if they will be doing call backs for those that only fell at the final hurdle?
;)

VJW
20th Mar 2016, 22:14
Why do you say that? Did they specially say you failed due to that?

matzpenetration
20th Mar 2016, 23:29
The 10 mins time for you to get used to the Sim is totally unassessed. You are not secretly being monitored at this point. BA is such a large and prominent employer in this industry and is so paranoid about bad press, that all recruitment follows a strict well defined framework. This ensures no allegations of discrimination of any sort.

The same also applies for internal applications which are as long winded and laborious as external applications.

Vulcan607
21st Mar 2016, 09:12
Hi Guys,

I have a question with regards to the verbal test, that if anyone can answer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I understand that the test has changed recently.

Could anyone perhaps share any info on the new test?

I understand you need to answer quickly and with accuracy but does anyone know how many questions there are in the test? - If so, any idea on the pass mark required?

Jwscud
21st Mar 2016, 09:13
I felt the sim process was very open, and the radar circuit was unassessed. However, given that the assessor was in all likelihood giving you handling feedback during and after your circuit, I believe that your ability to incorporate that feedback into your assessment sectors WAS assessed given that trainability was one of the three key areas I was told were under assessment.

VxVy
22nd Mar 2016, 16:42
For long haul new starters, After getting a blindline roster, can you still swap with someone? Especially if it's a swap of flights operating on the same day. Say one flight with a duty start at 9am, swapped with another at 9pm.

wiggy
22nd Mar 2016, 17:28
In broad brush terms you can try swapping any trip with anyone on your status who is agreeable, regardless of days and timings, but both swaps have to still be a legal fit on the receiving lines and that has become more difficult under EASA...You will generally only find out if a swap is permissible when you try to action it though the rostering system (eMaestro). That's when you find out if the computer says "no".... or not.

Especially if it's a swap of flights operating on the same day. Say one flight with a duty start at 9am, swapped with another at 9pm.

More info required - the outbound sectors depart LHR on the same day, but may well return into LHR on different days, even if they are trips of exactly the same length (i.e. time away from base). On a tight roster if moving the return into LHR back by 12 hours puts it into another local day there might be a conflict with EASA Minimum time off at base prior to the next trip...

In short every swap is different, you have to run your plan through eMaestro every time to see if what you're planning is allowable.

Icanseeclearly
22nd Mar 2016, 17:49
I understand there have been over 100 DEPs onto the longhaul fleets this year alone, how is this affecting the 320 pilots coming up to the end of their freeze, are any being allowed to change fleets or is it just not happening?

If that's the case is it affecting morale amongst the shorthaul pilots?

swingstate
22nd Mar 2016, 17:58
Is anyone able to give a description (perhaps even based on recent experience) of the computer aptitude tests?

FullClimb
23rd Mar 2016, 08:23
Swing state - It's been said time and time again on this thread, all the information is there from a number of good posts. Do the research and go back through this thread. You'll get everything you need.

hunterboy
23rd Mar 2016, 09:17
Have to agree with the EASA restrictions. It is really making it difficult doing swaps now. Even clashing via eMaestro is almost impossible unless you are picking up an African/ME trip.

random_pilot
23rd Mar 2016, 13:34
Does anyone know the roster for a typical month on the A380? Report times, days off per month etc...

Thanks

Enzo999
23rd Mar 2016, 15:36
Quick question regarding the 74 Sim check. Does the 747 have a FPV or "bird" for us Airbus types? If so are you allowed to use it for the Assesment?

RexBanner
23rd Mar 2016, 15:37
Yes to the first (I think), an overwhelming no to the second.

OttoMatic
28th Mar 2016, 16:31
Happy Easter everyone! Anyone who would like to share a fairly junior A320 roster and also shed some light on if the new EASA rules have affected your work greatly on short haul? PM or public, whatever floats your boat :) Thanks in advance!

28th Mar 2016, 19:25
LGW or LHR base?

OttoMatic
28th Mar 2016, 19:44
Ah, of course I forgot something... :) LHR base please, if possible?

angelo26
29th Mar 2016, 23:01
Hi all,
do you know what is,usually, the waiting time to get a reply after having applied as DEP?

jimboy473
30th Mar 2016, 06:15
Hi all,
do you know what is,usually, the waiting time to get a reply after having applied as DEP?
Regards
Angelo26

My personal application - I'm sure this varies massively:
-25th November application.
-27th November notification of successful application.
-7th December assessment day 1+2 (A one off occurrence I believe having both days in one)
-8th Decemer notification of successful assessment.
-5th January 757 Sim.
-13th January notification of successful sim - entered into the hold pool.
-26th January given a start date to meet my notice period for my current employer.

Applied for LH DEP

doudou_epl
30th Mar 2016, 10:39
Thx Jimboy, I was wondering how long it takes after the sim to get an entry date :ok:

In my case, Day 1 and 2 weren't combined so it took a bit longer:

- 11th December: Application submitted
- 7th January: Application Outcome
- 21st January: Aptitude tests day
- 26th January: Assessment Outcome
- 10th February: Interview and Group Exercises
- 11th February: Interview Outcome
- 2nd March: 757 Simulator
- 11th March: Sim Outcome
- ???: Still waiting for an entry date :0

V55
31st Mar 2016, 07:23
Does anyone know how tax works on the various elements of pay? Salary taxable at basic/higher rate but what about sector pay (new flying pay allowance) and the time away from base payment? Do either attract any form of tax relief?

HPbleed
31st Mar 2016, 07:53
Sector pay taxed as normal. TAFB payments are undergoing HMRC review at moment but currently only 20% is included within your taxable income. Might change in a couple of months though.

angelo26
31st Mar 2016, 12:48
My personal application - I'm sure this varies massively:
-25th November application.
-27th November notification of successful application.
-7th December assessment day 1+2 (A one off occurrence I believe having both days in one)
-8th Decemer notification of successful assessment.
-5th January 757 Sim.
-13th January notification of successful sim - entered into the hold pool.
-26th January given a start date to meet my notice period for my current employer.

Applied for LH DEP
Thank you very much Jimboy473,
That was very fast!!
I applied 6 day ago on SH fleet.... finger crossed!

Regards!

Beyfan
31st Mar 2016, 14:10
Hi
Does anyone have any info on the new recruitment process and verbal reasoning? Thanks
Copy of email below.

The intention is that we would request you to sit the new Verbal Reasoning test combined with our interview and group exercise element of selection. All other parts of your testing are currently valid.

A340Yumyum
2nd Apr 2016, 22:08
Angelo26

'I applied 6 day ago on SH fleet.... finger crossed!'

I hope you double-checked your written offering!

prisoner24601
3rd Apr 2016, 07:47
How long can you delay going to interview before the application is scrapped?

NukeHunt
4th Apr 2016, 23:11
Why do you say that? Did they specially say you failed due to that?

It was one of the items they brought up in my feedback.

The 10 mins time for you to get used to the Sim is totally unassessed. You are not secretly being monitored at this point. BA is such a large and prominent employer in this industry and is so paranoid about bad press, that all recruitment follows a strict well defined framework. This ensures no allegations of discrimination of any sort.

The same also applies for internal applications which are as long winded and laborious as external applications.

As above, one of the items discussed as a fail point in my feedback occurred during the 10 min unassessed practice, if what you say were entirely true, then surely it shouldn't have been brought up?

I felt the sim process was very open, and the radar circuit was unassessed. However, given that the assessor was in all likelihood giving you handling feedback during and after your circuit, I believe that your ability to incorporate that feedback into your assessment sectors WAS assessed given that trainability was one of the three key areas I was told were under assessment.

Yes he did give feed back after the circuit was over, and I did not make the same mistake again, which is why I was surprised it was brought up as a fail item during the feedback call.

I was pleased to get that far at my first ever attempt, and from what I hear, it's quite rare to get that far, let alone get a job offer at the first go, so I've just got to take it on the chin and try again when I can.

:ok:

AirUK
6th Apr 2016, 16:52
Can anyone confirm whether the flight management scenario gives instructions to descend in feet per minute or feet per mile?

Many thanks,
UK

Approaching Minima
6th Apr 2016, 18:09
Feet per nautical mile

Club World
6th Apr 2016, 18:39
When I did the test they used this I found on the website

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=psytechltd.com+pilot&biw=1152&bih=773&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjzaz40_rLAhXGWRoKHXb5C28Q_AUICCgD#tbm=isch&q=psytechltd+capacity+test&imgrc=3wkSQGz-Au-iWM%3A

MEA07CP
8th Apr 2016, 15:52
Any guys on here entered the hold pool recently and waiting for an offer....?

VJW
9th Apr 2016, 14:03
Anyone been emailed to come back within the 12 months had a reply yet?

VxVy
9th Apr 2016, 18:57
Question regarding CAP,

Sorry, after trawling through dozens of pages, I havent found a clear answer on this.

But if you don't make CAP, what happens?

Lead
9th Apr 2016, 22:47
If the company has built your roster, nothing. If you have built it using bidding, then if you are a long way short, your bids get wiped, then the company write your roster, and that's all. If you're only a bit short, say 5 hours, then they dock 5 hours pay that month. But you can always then pick up overtime to get that cash back, or not, depends how you feel.

lhchris
9th Apr 2016, 22:53
Hey guys

To add another question... I am in the middle of the assessment process (day 2 coming up) and looking for information on BA longhaul lifestyle. How would a 'typical' 777 roster look like nowadays? I couldn't find any recent posts about this topic.
Any info is highly appreciated (days off per month, 777 vs other fleets etc)

Take care everyone
lhchris

wiggy
10th Apr 2016, 07:07
VxYx

if you don't make CAP, what happens?

As Lead says if the company has built your roster = Blindline, then don't worry about CAP, you're paid as if you'd achieved it (aka "pay protected").

If you are building your roster = Trip line = then you must reach a specified monthly minimum by end of Stage 2. Used to be CAP - 15 hrs on Longhaul, (not sure where it is this week with the various alleviations that are in play, CAP -10?). If you don't get above the minimum then your line is "wiped" of trips ( hence this minimum level is known as "wiping level") and you become a Blindline holder (rostered by company, pay is protected).

If you are successful in being above wiping level but are still below CAP after Stage 2 then:

1. If you are short of CAP with enough available hours in the bank from previous months to cover the shortfall then sufficient banked hours are withdrawn to get you up to CAP......but see warning 1 below.

2. If you are below CAP with insufficient hours in the bank to get back to CAP you are a "Nett Low Bidder"(NLBer) :bored: This is generally not regarded as a "good thing" and life now gets very complex ...one of several things may happen:

If you are very close to CAP you may simply get away with roster being left intact and pay being docked, as Lead described.

OTOH if it's a sizeable shortfall the company will add work to your line, or use a combination of removing and adding of trips to get you nearer to CAP ( that might mean ending up above CAP).

(A very belated history note: This whole NLBer d..... dance was brought in about 10 years ago to stop people consistently bidding below CAP, month after month. The compensation was the introduction of the Aspirational Part Time contracts).

Warning 1: Nowadays in any event the company can put extra work on your line at the final stage of roster build if you've left a nice gap (regardless of whether you've made CAP or not )...

and

Warning 2: Bidline is going in perhaps less than two years, so there's no point in getting too hung up on the details.

The Mixmaster
10th Apr 2016, 09:40
I'm eligble to reapply again at the end of the month but unfortunately it appears the vacancies are no longer advertised. Anyone know if long haul recruitment will be opened up again in the near future?

binsleepen
10th Apr 2016, 21:54
Wiggy,

A couple of months ago i was 40 mins below CAP with no time in the bank after stage 2 and was rung up by pre-ops to ask which other trip I would like. I told them I didn't want to do another whole day at work for the sake of 40 mins. I asked them to doc me 40 mins pay. They told me I had to either except another trip or be wiped as they don't doc pay anymore, so I told them to wipe me.

In the end my blind was of less credit than the trip line they wiped. Go figure.....

Regards

wiggy
11th Apr 2016, 07:24
binsleepen

Yep, I was aware of there's the possibility of a "return to blindline" if you're a NLBer but I was aware my post was getting so long winded that I'd already either confused most people or bored them stiff so left it out....

As for what happened to you ...please note I never claimed at any time that scheduling always use logic or common sense ( I know you that)!:ok:

Out of interest are you able to say if they did the classic of wiping you but leaving you with most of your original trips? FWIW that's what happend to me last time I was wiped.....

Jay_solo
11th Apr 2016, 15:42
Once on a blindline, Can you book single day leave on the LH fleet?

And how easy/difficult is it to book a single day leave once the roster is out?

wiggy
11th Apr 2016, 17:02
You don't get single days of leave under Bidline on any fleet.

Annual Leave days are only granted in multi day blocks, with your dates known several months ahead of time. Trying to protect a single day from duty for whatever reason (e.g. concert, sport, family event) is very difficult, even for the most senior, even on Trip lines, unless that day is embedded in a block of annual leave or is one of the fixed days off at the front of a Reserve Line..

Once on a blindline, Can you book single day leave on the LH fleet?

You can express a Blindline preference for a day(s) off before rostering for the month starts, which might be taken into account when the Blindline is built. No promises.

And how easy/difficult is it to book a single day leave once the roster is out?

You can't.

Once your final final roster is published you can see your working days and your days off. The assumption is you then plan your social arrangements to fit in with the published days off. At that late stage you can't suddenly try and book a leave day to get rid of a duty - if that facility existed it would be a very handy and very very popular way for pilots to get rid of nasty trips from their lines and it would be chaos in scheduling/current ops :oh:!

Your last minute options if you really have to get a day off that has been clobbered by a published duty would be to:

1. Trip swap with a colleague or swap with an uncovered trip still held by ops ( but lots of caveats apply to the latter case) ,

2. Ask scheduling if it is possible to cash the trip in against the hours in your bank, if you have enough, or,

3. In exceptional circumstances ( e.g. a family crisis, not because you've got tickets to something) the company may grant you compassionate leave.

Protecting single days off has always been a problem when working Bidline and it has got much more difficult over the years. If you believe the promises :oh: single days leave, nominating and protecting single days off, etc, might be something that appears in a limited way under JSS.

TopBunk
12th Apr 2016, 12:51
4. Throw a sickie (run the risk of entering/progressing through AMP stages).

A and C
12th Apr 2016, 13:23
I hear rumours of direct entry captain on the A320 for those with type ratings, I find it hard to believe but any truth to this ?

SkyRocket10
12th Apr 2016, 13:27
Question asked of the resourcing team only last week and the answer was a
definite no.

wiggy
12th Apr 2016, 14:08
TopBunk..

You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment :oh:

In any event as you say it could have long term consequences.

TopBunk
12th Apr 2016, 14:55
Exactly Wiggy!

I never did it, honestly, no really, I didn't (now retired).

However it always remains an option. The problem is that if they know you having been looking at all options and none succeed, and then you throw a sickie .......

Sometimes it may be more advisable to remain below the radar!

GS-Alpha
12th Apr 2016, 15:48
The problem is that if they know you having been looking at all options and none succeed, and then you throw a sickie

Which is precisely why sickness has rocketed. People no longer make any effort to swap - they just go sick. In fact if they really need the time off, they dont even bid for it because they know they will only get roster assigned and then really be on the radar if they go sick. The company wonders why sickness has jumped so much. This is the reason in a nutshell! Our managers manage costs not people, and by not considering the human element of the equation they just jump from one unintended cosequence to another. I am convinced they would run the airline an awful lot more cheaply if they would only start thinking about the humans they are employing.

stockportonealpha
12th Apr 2016, 16:47
Hi all,

I am due to attend the initial assessment soon. Just wondering if anyone has done it recently, by that I mean in the last week or so. I have heard on the grapevine that the Pilapt test (numbers counting down, flying cross-hairs with the joystick and the shapes and colours test) have disappeared? Is this fact or fiction? Can anyone help!?

Thank you!

Doug E Style
12th Apr 2016, 18:09
A mate of mine has just got a direct entry long haul position and he only had to answer ONE question. It went like this: your roster says your flight departs at 2100Z, the station briefing says pick up time from the the hotel is departure time -1h25, time difference is UTC -6 hours. When will pick up be in local time? He got it right and now he's in! Amazing.

BitMoreRightRudder
12th Apr 2016, 18:29
Ah but Doug, did they force feed him 5 pints, a couple of murky looking shots, a "special" kebab, and then make him sleep in a small room for 8 hours with a Hoover going constantly outside and people shouting loudly in Chinese prior to his pick-up mental gymnastics? If they didn't, the process is flawed in my opinion, and someone should tell BA so they can form a steering group to analyse the risks. If they DID however, kudos to your mate, and get him to write the station briefs will you, we'll all buy him a pint. That's about 2500 pints if everyone on long haul chips in.....now, what time was pick up again?

Rougueg
12th Apr 2016, 19:46
Just got through the paper sift to the Numerical, verbal and capacity tests.
Any body with recent experience who wouldn't mind letting me know what the best practice material would be.
Only have 3 days until interview. Seems very quick.

Ascoteer
13th Apr 2016, 02:23
Is anybody being offered assessment days beyond the 17th of April?

I've only been offered 16th and 17th...both in Hong Kong, which is a *little* bit far to go. Resourcing say to just keep checking the website, but in the meantime I am getting emails saying 'Book a day or your application will be withdrawn :sad:

Pilot Chris
13th Apr 2016, 03:31
I think a lot of people go through this concern, myself included- I initially thought my only shot was to attend an assessment date with just a couple of days notice.

More dates will become available on a rolling basis (unless perhaps recruitment stops). I think the emails are automatically generated.

pudoc
13th Apr 2016, 12:40
Your application will be withdrawn, as it happened to me. I rang up and explained I'm still interested but the dates don't suit, they just reinstated my application. No problems.

Are the plans to keep on recruiting for a few more years?

Hotel Mode
13th Apr 2016, 13:27
Inevitably. Whatever the economy does they will need some pilots. Numbers depends on how many short haul slots go to LH which will depend on the economy.

Retirements have to start again in October and there's a large backlog in part time requests as it hasn't been available recently.

In 5/6 years time though retirements dry up again and then you'll be waiting for the current mid 40's long haul Capts to retire which will be a while.

wiggy
13th Apr 2016, 13:39
Retirements have to start again in October

According to today's hot rumour due to a combination of challenging rosters and an apparent lack of availability of Part Time in the near future there's already a bit of a rush on.......

Juan Tugoh
13th Apr 2016, 17:57
Good news all round then

ROSCO328
13th Apr 2016, 19:06
Thinking of applying.

If I where lucky enough to be offered a position, what is the current time to command on short / long haul.

Currently left seat for Loco, 8500hrs ( 7000 Jet ).

Thanks in advance.

anson harris
13th Apr 2016, 19:09
Rosco - at the moment, your first bid for SH Command could be successful. Last year's bid saw people who joined in 2015 being offered SH Commands at LHR and LGW.

GS-Alpha
13th Apr 2016, 19:57
You do need to recognise that this year's seniority for short haul commands may well turn out to be an anomaly. A significant number of junior FOs failed to bid last year; not because they did not want a command, but because they did not think there was much point. I doubt they'll make the same mistake again this year...

ROSCO328
13th Apr 2016, 20:13
I assume when you use the term " junior FO " this is someone new to the company?.

Do you bid once a year?.

wiggy
14th Apr 2016, 05:22
I assume when you use the term " junior FO " this is someone new to the company?.

In the context of the current situation on the A320 fleet, I assume that's what GS-Alpha means, but it's also used in general for the FO's (and even SFOs) near the bottom of their status list. You can certainly be referred to as a "junior FO" for years if there's no movement on the fleet.

..and yes, normally you bid for type/seat change once a year.

anson harris
14th Apr 2016, 05:44
You do need to recognise that this year's seniority for short haul commands may well turn out to be an anomaly.

Hence the word "could".

Hotel Mode
14th Apr 2016, 16:52
The key point is that there are no long haul deliveries in 2017, so fewer senior short haul captains moving on. The part time bulge may still cause commands to be junior again though. 2018 has loads of deliveries.

VJW
15th Apr 2016, 12:49
Asked this a few pages ago, as of yet I don't think I saw a reply, but of those of us who were emailed to come back within the 12 months, has anyone had a reply yet?

Mizar
15th Apr 2016, 14:08
VJW,

I was mailed back beginning of the month to sit the new verbal and day 2 combined at once. As for now I have not received a reply either. It keeps showing submitted on the career page.

Beyfan
15th Apr 2016, 21:47
No reply here either!

angelo26
15th Apr 2016, 22:18
Hi all,

I am due to attend the initial assessment soon. Just wondering if anyone has done it recently, by that I mean in the last week or so. I have heard on the grapevine that the Pilapt test (numbers counting down, flying cross-hairs with the joystick and the shapes and colours test) have disappeared? Is this fact or fiction? Can anyone help!?

Thank you!
Hi,

I attended day 1 about 4 days ago.
verbal reasoning 36 questions in 20 mins
numerical reasoning 25 questions in 12 mins
computer based test lasting 24 min, you have a ND on your left side(to check for traffics) and an instrument panel on your right side of the screen (to check fuel page,elec page and altitude settings) meanwhile atc is calling you to change frequency and clearing you to new altitudes.
good luck for your day 1!

angelo26
15th Apr 2016, 22:25
Hi all,

anyone who attended day 2 in the last 1 or 2 weeks??
thank you in advance!
regards

wiggy
16th Apr 2016, 07:24
Point of info on the current state of play for those who ask about Bidline and rosters.

Those headed for 744 (and no doubt other Longhaul Fleets) can expect a busy time until the numbers get sorted out...if they get sorted out..

May final final rosters have just been released. One 744 P2 has a three day carry in from April i.e. trip departs end of April, but continues until 3rd May. He/she then has another 5 (yes, five) trips in May, plus a ground training day.

Another P2 has, for the third month in a row, achieved the mythical CAP level after bidding...but then had another trip assigned to his/her line by scheduling.

No doubt those are examples of the worse case outliers but perhaps food for thought for those planning on joining BA for the easy life/time off/roster control.

nrn
16th Apr 2016, 07:45
It's very very quiet on the 787 P2 side. Flying blindlines. April 1 carry in from March and 2 trips. May 2 trips and 2 weeks leave. Same that we lost our FPA

wiggy
16th Apr 2016, 07:57
nrn

Interesting, manning not (yet) in the right place perhaps - I'll admit I haven't (yet) looked at your CAPs/rosters but I assume you are still slightly overborne due to the Fleet build up??? I recall decades back it being similar when I was a blindline holder on the 744 (it also helped that there were more long trips in the mix with shuttles, etc.... ).

The 744 P2 I was referring to earlier has effectively got the three day carry in plus 5 three day trips, plus the GT day........how times have changed.

Same that we lost our FPA

I know what you mean..........

Club World
16th Apr 2016, 08:49
Angelo26 - just to confirm that the Joystick Moving Criss and Colours/Shape no longer feature in the BA selection at any stage?

Thanks

buzzc152
16th Apr 2016, 11:41
Hi all
I know this question was asked a few pages back but nothing seems to have changed ;
Yesterday I got the stage 1 invite (15th), logged in today to book but the only date available is tomorrow (17th). Too short notice really, and I'm flying anyway.
Does anyone know if & when more dates will be available ? Is anyone else still waiting for more dates as I am ?
Thanks

Jwscud
16th Apr 2016, 13:50
Daft question - what day of the month do you get paid and do you get flight pay at the same time or in arrears later?

chief
16th Apr 2016, 13:57
Asked this a few pages ago, as of yet I don't think I saw a reply, but of those of us who were emailed to come back within the 12 months, has anyone had a reply yet?

Vjw - I just want to check, which stage did you get through too last year? I only managed the assessment stage and received my "thanks but no thanks letter...". Planning on reapplying but was told I have to wait 12 months.

TopBunk
16th Apr 2016, 17:22
jwscud

as far as I can recall, your salary is paid at the end of the month and all the variable pay at the end of the next month.

Online there is a payment schedule on the company intranet, but normally your account will be credited on the last (or 2nd last) weekday of the month, apart from December when it comes earlier, about a week earlier.

angelo26
16th Apr 2016, 20:21
Angelo26 - just to confirm that the Joystick Moving Criss and Colours/Shape no longer feature in the BA selection at any stage?

Thanks
Hi,

In my assessment I didn't have the joystick/shape exam.

Ascoteer
17th Apr 2016, 05:12
Hi all
I know this question was asked a few pages back but nothing seems to have changed ;
Yesterday I got the stage 1 invite (15th), logged in today to book but the only date available is tomorrow (17th). Too short notice really, and I'm flying anyway.
Does anyone know if & when more dates will be available ? Is anyone else still waiting for more dates as I am ?
Thanks

I waited about ten days for more dates; they're loaded on by resourcing in one go, apparently. Worth giving them a call to find out when that might be.

wiggy
17th Apr 2016, 07:01
Jwscud

The system hasn't changed recently and TopBunk is indeed correct about the pay schedule and the comment about the statements for the likes of your variable pay being on the company intranet.

As an example any variable pay accrued this month (April) will be in end of May's pay packet, along with your May basic salary.

buzzc152
18th Apr 2016, 22:41
Hi all.

I'm off to stage 1 in a few weeks.
When I went the first time (18 months ago) I seem to remember being tripped up by the rate of climb/descent part of the computer test. I can't now remember what exactly the problem was but I do recall that it wasn't presented in the normal ft/min way that we're used to in real flying.
Is anyone able to post a few examples of how this part of the test works ?

Thank you

VJW
18th Apr 2016, 23:40
buzzc152 - check your PM. Let me know if you got it, as it doesn't seem to show on my sent box.

buzzc152
19th Apr 2016, 11:23
Received and replied to. Thank you VJW

chief
20th Apr 2016, 10:06
VJW - thanks for the response.. Wish you the best of luck on your next attempt!

FullClimb
22nd Apr 2016, 08:27
Any idea how long people are swimming in the hold pool at the moment before receiving a start date?

jimboy473
22nd Apr 2016, 12:02
FullClimb,

I was only just under two weeks back in January, DEP for LH.
Mind you I think these things change frequently!

Just another student
22nd Apr 2016, 12:21
The swim is slightly more lengthy than that at the minute it would appear, over 4 weeks. Glad I'm wearing my infant swimming wings :) Good things come to those that wait and all that.

IFPS man
22nd Apr 2016, 17:15
I think it depends on whether you are waiting for SH or LH...

Just another student
22nd Apr 2016, 17:39
I'm waiting for LH (unless plans have changed significantly)SH should (in theory) be a longer wait. I guess training capacity is limited and one can understand why!

heartburn
26th Apr 2016, 09:02
Hi All

It all seems to have gone quiet on here regarding people being rescued from the pool.

Which LH fleets are currently being allocated?

Any info appreciated

:cool:

Jwscud
26th Apr 2016, 11:23
I believe only 777/747 and possibly 380. I was told a few months back that the 787 requirements were sorted for the next 6 months or so.

FullClimb
26th Apr 2016, 11:35
Sounds like a 6-7 week average wait at the moment from entering the pool.

I have also been told 777/747 at the moment. I believe 380 is for just a few who are already rated going through the process.

PilotJames
26th Apr 2016, 14:01
Has anyone got any information on the new style verbal test?
PM me please if you do?
Thank you

lhchris
28th Apr 2016, 00:09
Hey guys

I know this might have been asked a few times before, but I still got no answer. Anyone on the 777 right now with a recent roster?? Did EASA bring a lot of changes? How many days off a month on average? What´s the minimum?
What´s the trend in quality of life?
Your input is highly appreciated, thanks!

wiggy
28th Apr 2016, 05:57
lhchris

It's all here, seek and ye shall find.......

Being lazy (and busy) I'm not going to type it all out again but look at the Triplines on post #2658 from 12th of Feb (page 133 of this thread on my browser), and the comments in the posts made by various others about Blindlines, etc.

My post contained March rosters so early days of EASA compliance for Long Haul, and as for a trend - well, don't expect any improvement. As an example the pilots on Reserve at the moment seem to be getting hammered with work (i.e. absolute minimum EASA days off between trips). Going to be an interesting summer.

cessnapete
28th Apr 2016, 15:30
Wiggy
I hear new joiners on the A380 are being trained as Cruise only co-pilots for at least a year. Is this a new lower pay scale position.
I didn't think BA employed pilots not trained/qualified for t/o and landings down route.

GS-Alpha
28th Apr 2016, 15:49
I know nothing of the plans for DEPs onto the A380, but BA did certainly ask for volunteers to be cruise only pilots on the A380 a fair while back. These volunteers were fully trained as normal line pilots; they simply needed simulator details for their recency because they were not obtaining landings on the line. I do not know the reason why they would require cruise only pilots now though because we are only one hull below the maximum planned. Volunteers were paid their ordinary salaries as far as I am aware.

P0tt3r
28th Apr 2016, 16:52
Wiggy
I hear new joiners on the A380 are being trained as Cruise only co-pilots for at least a year. Is this a new lower pay scale position.
I didn't think BA employed pilots not trained/qualified for t/o and landings down route.

6 months. Full FO pay. Full rating on licence. Reason is lack of line training capacity.

wiggy
28th Apr 2016, 18:31
cessnapete

Can't add much to what p0tt3r has written, other than add that there's certainly no talk on the line of cruise only pay scales or long term cruise only contracts.

FWIW BA tried a similar temporary cruise only system briefly on the 744 a long long while back when most of it's work was ultra Long Haul which meant it was difficult for co-pilots to retain recency. It ended up being difficult to administer and meant scheduling lost flexibility with no financial gain to the company. It didn't last very long.

P0tt3r
28th Apr 2016, 19:01
Early DEPs onto the 380 had their cruise stint cancelled as they found some line training capacity. The rough timescale is 6 months (to tie in with a recurrent sim), but it seems quite flexible.
As Wiggy alludes to, they'd rather have you line trained. Much more useful to the company/fleet.
Certainly no ulterior motive that I'm aware of.

Club World
28th Apr 2016, 20:04
Any ideas if DEP will open soon again?

no sponsor
1st May 2016, 08:00
Not for a while, due to some IT upgrade of the recruitment system. I don't think I'm allowed to post the numbers, but they have made offers to a reasonably large number of folks already this year.

No idea as to the numbers required for next year, but BA isn't getting any new hulls in 2017.

aceman18
1st May 2016, 11:29
Anybody in the Middle East waiting for their BA sim check? If so, fancy going halfsies on the 747 sim in Abu Dhabi?

Enzo999
1st May 2016, 12:16
Just a word of caution about spending a large sum of money on the 747 practice, a friend of mine had his sim changed to the 757 on the day and I have heard about this happening to several other people recently.

2 Whites 2 Reds
1st May 2016, 21:27
Won't be happening for much longer, if at all. The 757 sim has recently been sold and is in the process of going.

Iver
1st May 2016, 22:18
What are the proportion of recent fleet type allocations for new hires? What percentage are getting A380, A320, 777, 787 and 744?

Also, when are you expecting the first A350 on property?

wiggy
2nd May 2016, 13:44
DEP A350, what are the chances of that happening ....

Next seat/type bid window isn't currently open, will be in July (for one month) - that's when there might be the first signs of internal bids for the type being available.

In service dates vary dependent on source, but AFAIK first A350 to BA isn't due until late '17 at very the earliest.

Traditionally and for practical reasons the early courses on a new type are populated by existing trainers from within BA (both P1 and P2).

Juan Tugoh
3rd May 2016, 15:00
Latest info on the 350 is sim arriving Jan 2018 and first frame Q3 2018. I doubt we will see any bid until next year.

findacure
4th May 2016, 12:06
Hi all. Hoping someone can supply a few examples of a junior 787 roster. A brief outline of the type rating timeframe would also be very useful.

Feel free to pm.

Thanks

flyer101
5th May 2016, 02:33
Anyone been fished from the pool this week? Waiting time and fleet? :ok:

ODP
5th May 2016, 06:13
Does anyone know what the actual minimum hours are for Direct Entry is? The website previously stated 3000h and from memory a requirement for something like Boeing or Airbus time but that has since been removed and now just says the programme is for "experienced pilots". Any advice on minimums would be helpful.

Thanks

bobbyboblington
5th May 2016, 06:27
Hi all,

Had the day 3 sim assessment over 2 weeks ago now but still not heard anything. Does anyone know how long to wait before a reply?

Many thanks

flyer101
5th May 2016, 08:04
Hey did mine on a Saturday and found out on the Wednesday late afternoon. I thinks it's a bit random. People go for weeks without hearing then get a yes. Not sure of the internal workings! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :-)

Hi all,

Had the day 3 sim assessment over 2 weeks ago now but still not heard anything. Does anyone know how long to wait before a reply?

Many thanks

bobbyboblington
5th May 2016, 08:51
Hey did mine on a Saturday and found out on the Wednesday late afternoon. I thinks it's a bit random. People go for weeks without hearing then get a yes. Not sure of the internal workings! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :-)

You're a gentleman, thanks :)

StreetHippo
5th May 2016, 21:54
Hello chaps, just done day 1 of assessment for DE long haul.
Has anyone got the pay scale for FO's please, I can't trawl through 148 pages at this time of night!!
Many thanks,
Stu

Approaching Minima
5th May 2016, 23:54
They'll show you the most up-to-date version at Day 2 assessments as part of the lunch break-out presentation.

flamingmoe
6th May 2016, 07:09
Would a BA Longhaul F/O take home close to what an EZY or RYR Captain does?

Tay Cough
6th May 2016, 08:02
With some of the recent junior Airbus commands at LHR (pp2!!!), you will now find EZ and RYR pay their skippers considerably more than BA pay their own.

HPbleed
6th May 2016, 08:15
Day 1 FO L/H takes home about £4000 net, I've been here just over a year and have got a bit more of a grasp of bidline and take home £4000-£4500 most months now, couple of months have hit ~£4800.

StreetHippo
6th May 2016, 09:10
Thanks HPbleed, about what I thought. Just wanted to see a table to give me an idea of about 10 years hence.

flamingmoe
6th May 2016, 09:21
Thankyou all for the info.

AFA
6th May 2016, 09:39
No way- not a day 1 BA FO. I've a friend in BA for 8 years on the 787 making about £5900
Net he said. That's about what a EZY/RYR 'takes home'. Course it doesn't included the added extras for which there aren't many/any with RYR at least.

Bottom line don't expect a higher pay leaving LHS in Easy or RYR to go BA RHS.
That's almost £120,000 gross assuming he pays into the pension.
That's not bad for an 8 year FO which is what I presume he is with that length of service.

Is that still realistic for a new joiner??

VJW
6th May 2016, 10:28
Unless I'm mistaken he's a FO and also a TRE... Don't duppose every FO makes that, but the option is there I presume.

The African Dude
6th May 2016, 11:35
I also imagine that they are on the 25-point pay scale, not the 35-point system which applies to new joiners. So the comparable rise for an pp8 LH FO would be about two-thirds the amount over 8 years. Not taking in to account the TRE increment which I imagine wouldn't have changed.

Not BA, so I'm sure somebody will be along to refine my calculations shortly :}

thewisealderman
6th May 2016, 13:35
is LC still pilot recruitment manager?

Stocious
6th May 2016, 14:20
Theres about £6k difference for PP8 between the 24 and 34 year scales

EMB-145LR
6th May 2016, 18:35
is LC still pilot recruitment manager?

Yes LC is still doing a stirling job along with his small and stretched recruitment team. You really couldn't have a better guy running the show.

VJW
6th May 2016, 18:37
I can concur with regards to LC. I went through something horrible 'at home' while I was going through day 1 last year, and while I didn't pass, he called me and spoke to me about it all, and really showed he cared. It meant a lot I have to say, and makes me more determined to get in this time.

thewisealderman
6th May 2016, 19:20
That's good I heard a story his days were numbered that's all. Glad he is still doing good work.

Club World
6th May 2016, 19:46
Never spoke or met LC, but met his assistants at one of the road show last year and they were very down to earth and straight to the point when asking questions which is always nice

CrazyEddy
9th May 2016, 14:57
If anyone knows of any swimmers being fished out of the pool in the last two weeks could you let me know - many thanks! (feeling a little left out......)

JulietSierra6
11th May 2016, 16:33
Things see to have gone very quiet over the past 6 weeks in terms of offers. Anybody in the know able to give any information to those of us in the pool?

bradandwhitney
13th May 2016, 13:48
Hi,

I have been invited to day 1. Could anyone kindly share which tests are currently in use on the day 1 assessment?

Thanks a lot!

Ascoteer
14th May 2016, 15:27
Capacity test is the only computerised, verbal reasoning is straightforward now, standard numerical.

I'm hoping my pulse is strong enough....

VJW
14th May 2016, 15:48
Recent developments? One test has changed! One that was pretty ridiculous anyway.

Plastic787 very easy to sound high and mighty and make those that failed sound of a poorer standard, but trust me, someone who can pass a verbal test is not automatically a better aircraft operator. So to suggest that all you need 'nowadays is a pulse'....is a ridiculously arrogant statement, one I almost expect.

EMB-145LR
14th May 2016, 16:38
It's also an absolutely untrue statement. The recruitment team publish the success rate of candidates on Yammer, and a large percentage are still being turned away at each stage.

The African Dude
14th May 2016, 19:42
Didn't Plastic787 fail them the first time around?! :}

Plastic787
14th May 2016, 20:51
Seems tongue in cheek doesn't translate well to the written word! It seems some of those accusing me of egotism have a rather fragile ego if they're taking my comments seriously. In any case apologies for the offence caused by a throwaway comment (which was pertaining more to BA's high requirement for pilots at the moment rather than any comment on the standard of individuals)..

VJW
14th May 2016, 21:51
Well I take comments on face value, unless it's clear tongue and cheek was intended. Without knowing you and without reading every post you've ever written I was not going to assume anything. Don't have a fragile ego- don't even have an ego...just think those type of comments while pretending to be a complete joke are always laced with an undertone of true feelings from the person posting it. So don't really want to see it, and will gladly call someone out even if they use the excuse they were trying to be funny.

Club World
15th May 2016, 09:39
Totally agree with VJW - not passing which is my case I admit, but it does not make you any less significant, there are over hundreds of pilots in BA who come from airlines like BMI for example who didn't have to do the selections but yet very high standards pilots and a integrated asset within BA, some of the pilots at BMI when it was up and running attended BA and failed the selection but now integrated within the company post BMI and again are of high standards including pilots integrated directly from LGW Cityflyer after the year 2000, so the test does not prove anything but simply an excersise that you have to do in order to satisfy BA recruitment team.

I am sure if you make a very senior TRE Captain who has been in the company over 25 years and ask him/her to sit the selection they may not pass, does that mean they are not BA material, who knows maybe even if the pilot recruitment manager sat the test the results may or may not be favourable.

VJW
15th May 2016, 17:33
Funny you say that Club World. That has been done and the TRE or LTC whatever he was- failed!

Perhaps he didn't have a pulse?!

flyer101
16th May 2016, 07:10
Any Airbus guys getting offers recently? A few guys have mentioned 737 -> 777 offers recently...

ASW19b
18th May 2016, 07:54
I've been trying to book an interview slot but having no succcess. Has anyone else experienced this?

VJW
18th May 2016, 09:31
Yup- only having no success because there isn't any slots available. I try not to get frustrated every time I get an automated email questioning why I haven't booked a slot yet, and to do so soon...

Sharklet
18th May 2016, 10:17
For those that didn't make it through Day 2:
1) Anyone been called before 12 months for a re-assessment?
2) Do you have to go through the whole process again, i.e. Day 1 as well?

Is recruitment likely to continue till May '17?

ChaseIt
19th May 2016, 03:51
Hey Sharklet

1) Unfortunately not although I would jump at the opportunity!
2) I wish we didn't but who knows, I'd rather be grilled by HR for 2 days

angelo26
19th May 2016, 14:56
Hi all
I have been invited to attend the simulator assessment.
Could someone, who attended the sim assessment recently, give me any feedback or tips.
thank you very much

Phantom4
20th May 2016, 10:07
Angelo26. Review your soft skills and practice raw data,good luck.

angelo26
20th May 2016, 14:28
Angelo26. Review your soft skills and practice raw data,good luck.
Hi Phantom4,
thank you very much for your advice!

eckhard
20th May 2016, 16:58
Hi Angelo,

I'm not sure which type BA are using at the moment, but this might help if it's a 757/767:

It has 2nd generation EFIS with an EADI and an EHSI which can display VOR/ILS full rose, expanded rose or Map.

The other flight instruments are conventional round-dial ASI, Altimeter, IVSI and DDRMI. The primary engine gauges are on the upper EICAS and are round-dial EPR, N1 and EGT.

If you have a brain fade:

60% N1 and 5 degrees nose up will give S+L clean at about 220kts;

65% and 4 degrees will give S+L with F5 at about 180kts; and

55% and 1 degree will give an ILS profile with gear down, F20 and about 155kts.

The main thing to watch is to keep it in trim! Very powerful thrust/pitch couple which can cause 'reverse trimming', e.g. on a go-around, you apply TOGA thrust and pitch to 15 degrees but you have to trim nose down to stop the attitude increasing further. Then, when you level off, lower the nose and reduce thrust to 65%, you have to trim nose up to stop the attitude reducing too much.

Please note that I am not rated on the 757/767 but have been rated on 737 and 747 and also have access to some 767 manuals which allow me to make 'educated guesses' regarding generic handling techniques. Good luck!

massiveheed
20th May 2016, 20:04
Angelo I did my sim 5 years back on 747. To my mind I was ropey handling wise at best. I'm Airbus rated as was my co-conspirator. We failed to land on either approach, forgot to get the weather and were briefing the Sid and approach into ema as we flew down it. BUT the one thing we did was stay calm, jollied each other along , laughed a little and stayed safe. We both got in. Don't sweat the big stuff , do your best but above all show them you are a calm , professional affable pilot who has a sense of humour under pressure. Good luck. Ps my trimming was abysmal.

VJW
20th May 2016, 21:36
Briefing a SID during an approach- there's hope for me yet ;)

Cuillin Hills
21st May 2016, 08:55
Massiveheed

From the feedback I have had, from a number of people who have not got through the sim assessment, you would not get away with that now.

Feedback that they have received has been relatively minor points compared to what you have admitted to.

Different assessors look at things in different ways, though. They shouldn't - but they do.

Phantom4
21st May 2016, 12:03
IMHO the assessors are standardised and are looking at the same attributes and performance. They would not be given the task otherwise.

wiggy
21st May 2016, 12:32
Cullin H

Different assessors look at things in different ways, though. They shouldn't - but they do.

Have you been told that by one of the recruitment team/assessors or by some of their candidates?

VJW
21st May 2016, 14:18
What's the answer then?

I have to admit, that while I'm sure they are all very standardised and quite literally singing from the same hymn sheet, surely if someone were marginal for example of the pass/fail grade, are we suggesting that if they were examined by ever single recruiter in the sim, they'd all come to the exact same conclusion of either the pass or fail? Surely some times that person would pass and others they'd fail? You'd like the think the vast majority of the examiners would agree, but I'm sure there are people in BA who doing the exact same sim with a different recruiter wouldn't have passed and vice versa.

Phantom4
21st May 2016, 14:57
Hi Cullin,I think you are wrong.The assessors are of a very high calibre and very skilled CRMIs. The candidate is a strong contender and the position is to be a future British Airways Captain.BA are in the minority in giving a four hour detail to two candidates. If as you say,a candidate is marginal,would you pass them on that performance? The key to success is preparation.

angelo26
21st May 2016, 15:58
Hi Eckhard!

Thanks for your advice!

Massiveheed, thanks for your tip!

B-U-S-S
22nd May 2016, 12:08
For us with a rating not on the EASA license, when is the latest time that BA require you to transfer it?

flyer101
22nd May 2016, 12:50
I seem to recall LC telling us that it had to be done before your first day. I did my group session quite a way back though, so I'm open to correction! In my mind.... As soon as you get a 'successful email' get it converted ASAP! In case you encounter any (unlikely) problems.

E170
30th May 2016, 13:06
Hey Guys,

I am invited to attend the first assessment day this week. (Verbal reasoning/numerical reasoning)

it´s almost impossible to read all of the 150 pages, could anyone be so kind and write a very short summary on what I can expect and any tips/advices?

Thank you very much and kind regards,
E170

binsleepen
30th May 2016, 14:11
E170,

Sorry to sound a little harsh ( OK, I'm not sorry) but why would someone who had been to an assessment day that they had fully prepared for, including reading this thread, and who had posted his tips a few pages/months/weeks ago bother wasting his time repeating themselves because you can't be bothered to read back through this thread.

Regards

Heathrow09L
30th May 2016, 14:36
binsleepen is totally spot on.

You may want to read through post number 325 page 17 and post number 2414 page 121

Taking time to look through this thread does pay off, from what I have seen so far is the following for day one.

.Flight Capacity test such as setting a virtual FMS and monitoring electrical pages and applying checklists, monitoring fuel and taking a snapshot every 2 minutes, setting waypoints, clicking on a possible TCAS on the ND, calculating how many miles to commence your descend when ATC gives you new levels etc.

.Maths tests with no data interpretation, but simple maths I think 25 questions but very time limited- again many examples on this and other threads

.New style Verbal reasoning test- maybe others who have been could be kind to give an example.

Another post had a link of what the test looks like post number 285 page 144
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ps...SQGz-Au-iWM%3A

I am sure your capable of doing further research and I will leave it at that.

flyer101
30th May 2016, 16:16
Think I read all 146 pages (back then).... Twice over! You've got to want it, otherwise it's likely that you won't get it....

BitMoreRightRudder
30th May 2016, 20:12
it´s almost impossible to read all of the 150 pages

I'm going to help you out with a shortlist of things that are genuinely impossible:

1.Walking on clouds
2.Setting the moon on fire
3.Conducting a reasonable 2-way conversation with a Llama

Things that are fundamentally within the realms of possibility:

1.Reading stuff on pprune*
2.Passing BA selection**

**Possible link

Michael S
30th May 2016, 21:57
I'm going to help you out with a shortlist of things that are genuinely impossible:

1.Walking on clouds
2.Setting the moon on fire
3.Conducting a reasonable 2-way conversation with a...

Ad.2 wouldn't be entirely sure ;-)

balticflier
31st May 2016, 11:58
Folks any swimmers in the pool care to pm me? Is it still around the 2 month mark or is it getting longer?
Only been 3 weeks so not too stressed but would be nice to know where the wind is blowing.

Phantom4
31st May 2016, 18:04
Colleague in pool since April,triple course September.
E170 PPPPPP take note

FlyingGreen
2nd Jun 2016, 11:35
Hi everyone!

Has anyone who attended interview late last week had any news on the outcome yet?

Club World
2nd Jun 2016, 11:49
Is DEP long haul finished this year?

bradandwhitney
4th Jun 2016, 11:22
This is what I came up with for day 1 as of June 2016 (kindly add/correct).

1) Verbal Reasoning

36 "Follow Direction" type questions in 18 minutes, multiple choice;
Paper and pencil. If answer not clear do not guess (negative points?).

2) Numerical Reasoning

24 problems in 12 minutes;
Paper and pencil, multiple choice, no calculator. Written calculations allowed on extra sheet of paper. Skip difficult problems. If solution not clear do not guess (negative points?).

Examples (Not sure if there are both "simple calculations" and text problems or only text problems?):
- 12400 × 27=
- 3484 ÷ 2 ÷ 10=
- What is x if y=5 type equations
- What is the difference in speed of 2 airplanes if the first one covers 0000 miles in 0 hours and 0 minutes and the other covers 0000 miles in 0.0 hours?

3) Flight Director Test
Keep FD centered using joystick
Compare numbers (aural) and note if difference in sequence
Listen for shapes and note color/number

4) Flight Crew Test
25 minute coordination test involving TCAS, ATC radio, altitude clearances, fuel, checklist etc..;

Now back to hitting the books :8 ;)

Good luck to all! :ok:

E170
4th Jun 2016, 15:04
Thank you very much for your kind answers.

Even though I did NOT read all of the 150 pages of this post, I just passed Day 1 at LHR.
Now I am preparing for Day 2 (group exercise; interview and a presentation)

@bradandwhitney: when did you attend day 1? I did not had to do the FD Test.

Stocious
4th Jun 2016, 23:14
Well done E170. :ok:

VJW
5th Jun 2016, 09:15
Just to be clear, the presentation you mention is one given by BA, not one you need to give.

Landflap
5th Jun 2016, 09:50
Cripes, with this level of 'present ability' and ' potential' , there would be no need for training. You bods would fit straight into BA aircraft and operate across the pond to JFK. Is this how BA keeps training costs to a minimum ? Mate of mine, albeit with 30 years in the business and ex sponsored cadet was asked at interview for a new post if he drank and knew any jokes. He did both, enjoyed a celebratory glass of juice when told that his joke was of a very high standard and had passed the selection. Good luck fellas. If you are unsuccessful (don't like the word 'fail') you could go straight to NASA cadet selection and whizz quite easily through the programme. Good luck to all.

VJW
8th Jun 2016, 23:14
E170 are you referring to this part of their email?

'Your assessment will consist of:

- Interview with a BA pilot and HR associate
- Group Exercise
- Presentation with Q and A session, over a light lunch'

If you are I don't take that as a presentation you must conduct. You have me worried now ;) Can someone who's done day 2 recently clarify, before I get clarification from the horses mouth.

wokawoka
8th Jun 2016, 23:20
Did day 2 yesterday. BA staff give the presentation on salary, lifestyle, career progression etc. You ask the questions.

Il Marchese
9th Jun 2016, 02:47
Hello guys,

But is it true that at the moment they are accepting and doing the assessment just for captain with the type or with experience on jets?

VJW
9th Jun 2016, 07:34
BA Cityflyer maybe (who might look like BA, but certainly are not), it's probably laughable anyone thinks BA mainline will hire Direct Entry Captains...

Il Marchese
9th Jun 2016, 08:43
Really? Why you think so?
Because I see a lot of brokers, also big and famous companies, that are contacting captains for direct entry...

clearofconflict
9th Jun 2016, 08:53
Il Marchese.....they are definitely not.

Il Marchese
9th Jun 2016, 10:26
Mysteries of life...they are searching...but actually they are not searching!
:D

wiggy
9th Jun 2016, 21:05
Really? Why you think so?
Because I see a lot of brokers, also big and famous companies, that are contacting captains for direct entry...

I'd avoid anyone claiming they can facilitate any such thing.

Is there any chance you can post or PM me a link/screen snap shot or similar to one of these brokers and/or their adverts because I suspect some people in the office at work might be interested in hearing if people are unofficially using the BA brand or name to generate business?

Just to be clear the standard method of recruiting to BA mainline has always started with individuals applying directly to the company once a recruitment window opens. AFAIK BA have never used "brokers" for mainline recruitment and I have heard no rumours on the company grapevine that they are about to do so.

In the highly unlikely event that BA have suddenly decided to use brokers anyone joining BA Mainline will most definitely join as a First Officer, at the bottom of the seniority list, regardless of the position and/or seniority they held at their previous company, regardless of what any broker says.

And just in case there has been confusion - as has been said BA Cityflyer is not the same as BA Mainline.

Juan Tugoh
10th Jun 2016, 11:47
Il Marchese,

As Wiggy and others have stated, BA mainline do not accept Direct Entry Commands. The only way in is as an FO at the bottom of the seniority list. Anyone claiming otherwise is a wrong, and quite possibly trying to con you.

E170
11th Jun 2016, 11:04
Hello community,

has anyone some tips how/what to prepare for the 747 Simulator Assessment?

Stocious
11th Jun 2016, 12:04
There are lots of tips if you read back through the thread...

Permafrost_ATPL
11th Jun 2016, 12:38
The first time I tried to get into BA, my daily ride was a 737 and I paid a fortune for practice in a full flight 747 sim. Didn't get in.

The second time, my daily ride was a 320 and I paid reasonable money for practice in a fixed base 737 sim. Didn't get in.

The third time, 6 months after the second time, I paid no money to anyone and just showed up. Got in.

Just saying :)

RexBanner
11th Jun 2016, 15:51
I practiced the hell out of the 747 on FSX, got in first time. There's a million different stories from a million different people (not literally). You can't use anything as a guide. Do what you think is necessary and do your best.

Harry palmer
16th Jun 2016, 10:26
Can anyone confirm the Numerical and verbal reasoning tests have changed. I have a million practice types for the old style tests. Anyone have knowledge of where examples can be sort for accurate practice for the new style.

much appreciated

P0tt3r
16th Jun 2016, 16:05
Sounds like the verbal has changed (maybe now easier).
Think the numerical is the same (but I went through in October).

Numerical-

*If it's 30secs per question and it's taking longer...move on
*you can eliminate some answers with rough maths
*just practice basic, FAST number crunching.

Good luck

B-U-S-S
23rd Jun 2016, 03:20
What impact would a Brexit have on employment of non-UK residents?

wiggy
23rd Jun 2016, 06:53
What impact would a Brexit have on employment of non-UK residents?

Non-UK residents who are UK nationals: I can't see there being any reason for any change...fortunately most countries allow their own nationals to work within their own borders.

Non-UK nationals, regardless of their country of residency: Nobody knows.

IMVHO and as far as BA is concerned my guess is that if it's "leave", eventually and after negotiations there will be "grandfather rights" for those non-UK nationals already in BA to allow them to remain employed. For new recruits I'd hazard another a guess: based on the demand for employees and the numbers of suitable applicants within the UK and elsewhere BA will try very hard to ensure the UK government issues work permits/visas for those from the EU (and perhaps elsewhere) who want to join BA.

Knowing the way BA work I certainly cannot see them meekly accepting they can only recruit from the UK labour pool..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_clause

Doug E Style
23rd Jun 2016, 07:02
Well let's hope so. There could be severe work coverage issues otherwise...

wiggy
23rd Jun 2016, 07:08
Exactly. It's bad enough as it is..................

HeartyMeatballs
23rd Jun 2016, 10:51
Well KLM employs almost interest Dutch crews (apart from ex KLMUK crews), Air France recruit almost entirely French people, Iberia entirely Spanish and Alitalia almost entirely Italian. They don't have problems keeping their planes crewed. Neither will BA.

wiggy
23rd Jun 2016, 12:30
Oh I agree they could in theory, but I rather suspect BA have a different approach to costs, and are less hindered/less limited by legacy agreements with the likes of professional associations, national educational requirements (e.g concours) and language proficiency than some of the airlines you have mentioned. BA sure as heck will want to continue to recruit from the biggest pool possible, to get what they want at a price they are prepared to pay.

Since you mentioned the Dutch..get rid of them from my Fleet's training department and we would be in severe do do, so I rather suspect regardless of the "in" or "out" the demography at BA isn't going to change any time soon.

In the context of this thread I certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Brits only recruitment policy, we're a heck of a long way from that, if it ever happens.

Cuillin Hills
23rd Jun 2016, 14:49
And all credit to BA for their recruitment policy - it is how it should be done.

From first hand experience KLM (and the VNV) do not follow the same rules.

The way that they treated the, generally, British pilots in the takeover of Air UK/KLMuk some years ago was disgraceful.

Compare the KLM takeover of AirUK to the way that British Airways integrated Cityflyer Express at LGW - no comparison.

One more reason to vote out.

wiggy
23rd Jun 2016, 16:16
Just to clarify, BA have plenty of trainers of many nationalities, more than a few of them Brits! I just picked the example of the Dutch nationality because I've worked with a couple of them and if a "no EU nationals" working at BA rule came in overnight that would leave the training department on at least one fleet a bit short, but not out, of trainers.. ..as for:

would/could & should they not be english if BA applied the same criteria as other airline mentioned

Not sure I'm on your wavelength and I really don't want to go off at a nasty tangent. Are you asking why BA don't currently give preference to British applicants for training positions?

If so I'd suggest it's because in the UK at the moment that would be very difficult to do easily and pretty much impossible legally. The UK system in general is quite permissive (for example professional organisations such as BALPA have no input into recruiting or selection for promotion/training), we don't really have a competitive national examination system to gate entry specifically into aviation, and we have a language that many europeans are frighteningly good at speaking. I like it the way it is, I think BA is the better for it, I accept others may think differently.

hec7or
23rd Jun 2016, 17:34
As Wiggy and others have stated, BA mainline do not accept Direct Entry Commands.

unless they buy an airline, Midland, Dan, BCal, Cambrian, for example.

Stocious
23rd Jun 2016, 20:14
Not strictly Direct Entry though are they?

Juan Tugoh
23rd Jun 2016, 22:02
Kind of a risky strategy to get a BA command though. First get a command at another company and hope IAG buy them. Further hope they are incorporated into BA. Further hope you pass the BA incorporation training. Still think it's easier to apply and do your time in the RHS myself.

kirungi1
23rd Jun 2016, 22:50
VJW, I know of a Brit on 747 with KLM, commuting from the north east :confused:

Tontito
23rd Jun 2016, 22:57
VJW, you would never get a job with English level 4 at BA. You need to be fluent in the local language as in Af, KLM, LH,....
The foreigners who get a job in BA are almost bilingual, if you, as a Brit, are bilingual you won't have a problem getting a job in AF, KLM, IB,... It has nothing to do with nationality only with (language) skills, so where is the discrimination?

Exina
24th Jun 2016, 07:05
I am currently bobbing along in the holding pool (12 weeks now) for LH. I spoke to them a few days ago regarding a course. They told me at the moment they are having an 'employment review'. This has resulting in the courses being put on hold while they decide on their requirements. Now they are unsure how long this could take, could be a few days, could be a few weeks, it's uncertain. They asked me to call back in another 2 weeks to see if they have an update. Thought I'd just let those fellow bobbers know in case they also had a heart attack when their phone rang with hope of start dates.

JulietSierra6
24th Jun 2016, 07:05
Have to admit that as someone in the hold pool today's result does not fill me with confidence. Repeat of previous years perhaps :ugh:

Thanks for the update Exina!

Plastic787
24th Jun 2016, 08:01
There's no real indication that brexit is going to affect the employment trend at BA at this point. The recruitment being done today is (as far as I'm aware) based on planned retirements, running the current schedule and the additional long haul hulls, not by expansion driven by the wonderful UK economic performance. If I'm wrong though, maybe those with the self entitlement to apply purely for long haul positions and therefore not taking one of the many available positions on short haul will regret their decision not to be able to join the company at the earliest opportunity.

wiggy
24th Jun 2016, 09:03
As Plastic787 has said I don't think today's decision will effect the current round of recruitng.

Down the road it wil be interesting to see how this plays out for IAG as a whole and BA's part in it...

centropy
24th Jun 2016, 12:32
I doubt the profit warning issued earlier by IAG is good news for recruitment though:

British Airways owner IAG sounds profit warning within hours of Brexit result (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/24/british-airways-owner-sounds-profit-warning-within-hours-of-brex/)

wiggy
24th Jun 2016, 16:23
TBH I wouldn't read to much into that warning.

Most of us on the shop floor were aware that last financial year's performance was an outlier and this current financial year profit levels would more than likely return to something more normal.

Chief Willy
26th Jun 2016, 07:43
Not sure what you are talking about there Wiggy. First I've heard of last year being an "outlier". Before Brexit the profit was forecast to continue to grow, in part due to the unwinding of fuel hedges but also as the economy was supposed to be growing. IAG have issued the profit warning as advance bookings are below trend. Hopefully all short-term due to uncertainty in the markets. But it is worth noting that pilot recruitment is NOT due to retirements (fewer than 40 this year I recall) but mainly due to expansion. If expansion stops, which is a possibility as a result of Brexit, it will have a very real impact on recruitment.

chocolateracer
26th Jun 2016, 09:29
Of course REMAIN could equally put a hold on recruitment and expansion.

wiggy
26th Jun 2016, 09:30
CW

No doubt correct you're on the maths, the forecasts and yes, I have a rough idea of the financial logic and what the city have been told earlier this year.

However in all honesty most guys I spoke to on the line thought this year's profit were unlikely to be repeated, so yes, an "outlier" in many peoples POV..and the response I've heard to the profit warning hasn't been "what a surprise", it's mostly been "no surprise there then, the rise couldn't continue".

Chief Willy
26th Jun 2016, 12:33
I think I get what you are trying to say, but in a growing economy there is no reason why profits cannot continue to rise as we grab hold of our costs. IAG want their return on capital and will not stop in their pursuit of it. My worry about the IAG profit warning is how IAG and BA react industrially as well as commercially. Will expansion stop? Is a significant attack on our terms and conditions now firmly on the cards? I am very hopeful this uncertainty ends soon so that the economy, and thus the company and recruitment continues to grow. I do feel that people reading this thread should understand that the current recruitment wave has everything to do with growth (as well as new sickness assumptions) and very little to do with retirements.