PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

bigdogs
22nd Jul 2010, 17:47
Only one real explaination for them calling strikes off if Gate has announced something "bad" today. Looks like to me a closure of Gate at NCL? I think EZY will pull out of NCL now, who else do they handle??

transwede
22nd Jul 2010, 18:09
bit of both, gate is pulling out

Didn't see that one coming....

Some one is going to get a lot more work.... my money is on Serivisair!!

My money is on Swissport, they do afterall handle EZY at majority of other UK airports so maybe able to negociate a discount. Wonder who'll get T3, NM, VIK and SGX?

Good luck to all Gate staff....:uhoh:

ReadyToGo
22nd Jul 2010, 18:13
Hmm

Servisair hand notice in on EZY... Gate pull out when relying on EZY... anyone else spot a trend.

My money will be on them trying to play Servisair and Menzies off each other for an exceptional deal. Menzies won't do it cheap, because the costs of setting up a handling company for 4 aircraft will prevent a "low cost" deal. Servisair have been bitten once and will want more money than EZY will want to pay.
Then theres Swissport, who have a Jet2 expansion to contend with...

No cheap handling availiable to EZY, and I think we see where this is going in the near future.

Sorry for the folks at Gate though. Sad news indeed.

RTG!

PS - Didnt realise Gate handled VIK and SGX... presumably these were linked with Goldtrail, and therefore no longer operate. Final straw for Gate management perhaps?

CentreFix25
22nd Jul 2010, 18:46
Not good for the dwindling Easyjet operation at NCL.

I wonder that if they don't get an acceptable deal from the new handling agent that they might just call it quits at NCL.

DL93
22nd Jul 2010, 18:52
gate have sgx/vik till end of oct, the flights are mainly kiss flights, the only one to go account of goldtrail is the sat night rotation.

nclops
22nd Jul 2010, 19:02
My money is on Swissport, they do afterall handle EZY at majority of other UK airports so maybe able to negociate a discount.

Swissport don't handle EZY anywhere else in the UK. They used to handle them in STN but i believe its now Menzies down there and also Menzies at the majority of other UK airports.

ncleflights
22nd Jul 2010, 22:51
I don't think EZY need a handling agent problem at NCL to instigate a pull out, the winding down of the NCL EZY base is no secret and is happening far quicker than what happened at EMA. I would expect an announcement in the next couple of months regarding the closure of the base at NCL. Hope I am wrong.

transwede
23rd Jul 2010, 08:06
My guess is if EZY pull out of NCL completely, our other resident loco carrier will be ready to jump in on the unserved routes of BCN, CIA, NCE etc.

This closure of Gate at NCL will mean additional business for the existing 2 handling agents, if Menzies do not set up an operation themselves, which with only 4 based aircraft, possibly dropping to 3 with EZY and of course the T3 contract it seems like a big step to take? Could T3 go self handling?

anthperry
23rd Jul 2010, 08:56
Can't see it being Swissport somehow!!!! Hope all the old circus lot still have their old uniforms!!!!

JKKne
23rd Jul 2010, 10:12
I feel sorry for all those who work with Gate and wish them luck if they secure something else.

It can't have been easy on the front line of Easyjet with the amount of delays and cancellations they've had to explain their way through over the past few months

Edit

Nasty looking delay for TCX from Sharm El Sheik, due in at 21.40 on Thu night and still on a next info at 00.01

I assume it's either a mistake or bad tech for tcx

ReadyToGo
23rd Jul 2010, 21:53
Latest story I have heard. Make of it what you will, its third hand information.

EZY offered Gate Av a long term handling deal (4+ years) at a reduced rate per turnaround. Gate questioned EZYs commitment to NCL and argued that their continued reduction in aircraft was unworkable with the reduced rate.

EZY called Gates bluff, knowing how much of GAs business was orange... Gate didnt bite at the 'long term bait'... and now this is gonna hurt EZY. Bad feeling amongst crew is that the increased fee they will HAVE to pay at Newcastle will hasten the closure of the base.

I am told that both Gate and Servisair at NCL were good performers. Its a poor EZY management decision. They gambled... and seemingly lost. Sounds like they expected a good deal from a 'desperate' gate. but gate didnt want to play ball.

RTG

ash666
24th Jul 2010, 03:58
if EZY closed NCL as a base would they necessarily stop ALL flights there?

CentreFix25
24th Jul 2010, 07:20
Not necessarily, they've got some decent performing routes that could be operated from the other end first (Bristol comes to mind).

tigger2k8
24th Jul 2010, 07:48
This is only a rumor.. But I have heard menzies are moving in

Jamesair
24th Jul 2010, 08:49
Wouldn't surprise me...Menzies certainly handle EZY at STN

ash666
24th Jul 2010, 12:58
I hope EZY stop on, if only for the reason that without the competition the likes of LS would put their prices up.

skyman771
24th Jul 2010, 16:43
Here we go again with all the resulting paranoia so many willing to put 2 plus 2 to make "X".
I have no reason to believe that "short term" EZY are going anywhere. Reality is that they seem to feel that they can get better returns by placing their resources (aircraft) elsewhere hence the loss of some aircraft.
At the end of the day its as much up to how much the airport value EZY as vital to their business plan. Personally my feeling is that they would be fools if they were to take the more paroachial view that Jet2 / "eggs in one basket" approach would be in the long term a more suitable direction to take. No one seems to question the airport management "think small & you will end up small..":suspect:

Jamesair
24th Jul 2010, 17:45
I agree. EZY should be encouraged to maintain and expand their operation and if NCL is a mainly summer base there is nothing wrong in reducing the fleet in the winter (jet 2 do that).. They could also fly into NCL from other bases if that proved a more financially viable option. This is how Ryanair uses NCL.

CentreFix25
24th Jul 2010, 20:20
2 plus 2 to make "X"

7 - 4 = 3

A once 7 aircraft base which will end up at 3 is every justification for paranoia. If an increase in costs and competition drives down profit margin then the plug is easily pulled, it happened not so long ago in the Midlands.

andrewmcharlton
24th Jul 2010, 20:43
A once 7 aircraft base which will end up at 3 is every justification for paranoia

If you applied that logic to every airline that reduced based a/c in the last 2 years or so of a recession at each airport then the whole world would have ground to a halt.

The level of summation and paranoia displayed on this thread recently is barmy.

Can't we get back to normality, i.e. flights to NYC, Emirates putting on 777 thrice daily and say an all business 320 hourly to MME ?

CentreFix25
25th Jul 2010, 05:51
The number of based aircraft has reduced by 57% but by some peoples logic everything's fine and dandy.

Has any other Easyjet base seen this this % reduction in numbers during the recession, I can't think of any but i'm happy to be informed of any.

Whilst the EZY numbers reduce, TCX and LS have placed (or announced intentions to add) additional aircraft at NCL.

JKKne
25th Jul 2010, 20:04
sincere apologies for the spotter-ish nature of this question and mods feel free to move if inappropriately placed but this is for the more knowing of you posters

I'm off to a wedding in Reus and I'm flying back to NCL before heading off to REU with TCX this coming weekend. I notice TCX operate online check in, do they operate a simple baggage drop desk at NCL or am I best placed to simply wait it out in the standard check in queue? (I refuse to admit my reason for using the flight was to fly a 752 :E)

Many thanks

OMGitsDAVE
25th Jul 2010, 22:28
haha, i used this flight to Reus just the other week, very good cabin crew. the 752 is very cramped mind you. :/

Jamesair
25th Jul 2010, 22:31
To go back to the EZY pulling out question. If, as reported, Gate was offered a four years + contract, that doesn't sound like an airline contemplating pulling out of NCL.

HH6702
26th Jul 2010, 00:07
I do think that easyjet days are now numbered at NCL

When set up back in 2003 it was stated that the plan was to have 10 based aircraft within 10 years.... 7 years on we are now back to the start with 3 aircraft!!!!!

days are numbered now somewhere and somehow easyjet and NCL dont seem to be getting on or to argee to where they should be flying too.

Jet2 wouldnt be going to add prague and kakrow if they thought easyjet would add them back into there programme from ncl....

The future at NCL is now RED not ORANGE!!!!!!!!

Shed-on-a-Pole
26th Jul 2010, 00:16
CentreFix25 -

East Midlands suffered a 100% reduction in EasyJet based aircraft - total withdrawal. The base there has been closed.

ash666
26th Jul 2010, 06:22
Good point by Jamesair, though

apaul
26th Jul 2010, 08:14
EasyJet have closed Dortmund as well as East Midlands. However, with the airline trashing its reputation everywhere this summer it is not obvious to see where it will move the planes if the Newcastle base is closed. The airline needs to rethink what it is doing everywhere, including Newcastle.

ReadyToGo
26th Jul 2010, 09:03
I don't think we can read too much into the rumoured 4 year contract with Gate. We don't know the conditions that EZY were prepared to put into the contract and the clauses, but the fact that Gate found it more beneficial to pull out of it, when it accounted for such a large amount of their work speaks for itself.

It could be that the 4 year deal offered no guarantee of number of based aircraft, in which case in 4 years time, NCL could be a 2 aircraft base, and EZY are still getting cheaper turns than at they are now.

It seems to me that Easyjet took a gamble that Gate would fight to keep their main contract at any cost. Gate weren't prepared to do that, and now its hard to see where they will go next, or what kind of a rate that will get for handling at NCL. As I said before, Servisair have previously terminated a contract with them as it was supposedly unprofitable, so they will no doubt want more money from EZY, and then you wonder if Swissport will be interested at the cost of upsetting their main rival... the rapidly expanding Jet2.

I can't see gate's withdrawl benefitting Easyjet in any way unless another agent steps in. But is another company prepared to take the risk, in the hope of getting a foot in at Newcastle?

RTG!

ps. Does Gate Av operate from any other airports?

andrewmcharlton
26th Jul 2010, 16:10
When set up back in 2003 it was stated that the plan was to have 10 based aircraft within 10 years.... 7 years on we are now back to the start with 3 aircraftI don't suppose even Stelios could foresee 9/11, A few Middle Eastern wars, Ash Clouds and not to mention the world's worst recession in 80 years. Some of those may have slightly affected plans.

When was the last time you saw a 10 year forecast from any company that predicted global strife and major ups and downs?

neil_2008
27th Jul 2010, 09:29
..... probably not foreseen but probably remembered, that was 2 years earlier!

GrahamK
29th Jul 2010, 09:47
Just seen on the airport website, that the EK 77W on monday lifted off with 418 passengers on board, an impressive 97.66% load.
The most passengers ever lifted off from Newcastle on a scheduled flight. :ok:

Now, how many of them were paying though :O

GAXLN
29th Jul 2010, 21:25
GrahamK, the word is that EK Flight on Monday was full of fare paying passengers at peak season fares ... there was no need for EK to discount the flight. The route is performing very well.

ncleflights
29th Jul 2010, 21:43
andrewmcharlton - yes all those points will affect EZY. However the ash cloud, recession etc are not factors only affecting NCL and to use your logic would have an affect on aircraft numbers at all EZY UK bases including Bristol, Glasgow, Gatwick ...etc and it is not.

EZY have shown little interest in developing the base at NCL and clearly the base is been run down on a similar pattern as to what happened at EMA. If the pattern continues then an announcement of the closure of the base can not be far off.

Clearly the airport need to work with the JET2, FLYBE and dare I say Ryanair to develop and drive forward the development of new routes from NCL.

On another note I notice that buried deep in all the PR stuff around the airports 75th birthday I noticed the statement "one of the airports main objectives is to secure a scheduled route the Eastern coast of the United States". Surely given the fact Bristol have just lost the route to NYC, NCL management cant possible think that a route from NCL is a possibility not at least for a few years.

Ringwayman
29th Jul 2010, 22:40
Just because BRS lost it's EWR link doesn't mean to say the NCL can't have a link to New York. Remember, it was just as easy for the BRS catchment to go down the M4 to LHR as it was to get their own flight wih a lot more choice so that they could effecively pick and choose a convenient time for themselves. The only competing cities would be EDI, GLA and MAN but if EDI and GLA can sustain services with a relatively short distance between them, there's no reason why NCL couldn't other than getting the local premium flyers to avoid using LHR and AMS for their translatlantic hops.

If you look at easyJet, they are adding/expanding only a few UK airports: LGW, MAN & LPL principally. I'm sure their website mentions how relatively worse the UK is doing compared to their other countries.

Although it's pleasing that EK scrambled 418 on board the 77W, it would be very unusual for them to have substituted in place of an A330 as it may cause a few logistical problems in co-oridinating their own flying programme. Hence, its' not a demand-driven appearance but just tied into the anniversary with some freebies for the local dignataries and business leadera. I daresay they may be pleased with how the route is doing but I guess they won't be upgrading the route in the short to medium pending a further rise in passenger numbers.

ConstantFlyer
30th Jul 2010, 19:17
Is NCL being overly coy about the Jet2 shopping flights to New York in November? Couldn't see anything about it on the Airport website, yet it's on Jet2's.

Going loco
30th Jul 2010, 19:50
Although it's pleasing that EK scrambled 418 on board the 77W, it would be very unusual for them to have substituted in place of an A330 as it may cause a few logistical problems in co-oridinating their own flying programme. Hence, its' not a demand-driven appearance but just tied into the anniversary with some freebies for the local dignataries and business leadera. I daresay they may be pleased with how the route is doing but I guess they won't be upgrading the route in the short to medium pending a further rise in passenger numbers.

The route was actively sold as a 777 from mid-April. Believe it or not, an airline the size and scale of Emirates can forward plan and can do yield management. Hence, no logistical headaches and no need to give 150 seats away for free in peak season.
Anyway, looked to be a good day all round, so well done NCL.

CabinCrewe
30th Jul 2010, 21:11
I know of at least 5 "non-revvers" on the EK 777 on Monday.

sam dilly
1st Aug 2010, 13:27
I was at Newcastle Airport on Friday Morning, and there was a great party going on.
Evidently, it was a lady travelling to Lourdes on Jet 2, who was also celebrating her 100th birthday.
The duty free staff got wind of the matter some time ago, and arranged for a collection, in order to provide a birthday cake , balloons, and great fun.
Now that is good news
Well done all in involved.:):D

ash666
1st Aug 2010, 13:30
can the duty free staff not run the whole airport?

Flyit Pointit Sortit
3rd Aug 2010, 09:16
easyJet has just announced that they are going down to 3 aircraft for the summer as well as winter. Reduction of 8 Captains, no First Officers affected.

How long will they keep a base open for 3 aircraft? East Midlands was the last base with that number.

Good Luck everyone!!!!

aidoair
3rd Aug 2010, 09:43
Unfortunately I can't see them keeping it open much longer with just 3 aircraft, especially when you mention the EMA base and factor in how the other airlines will become the bigger players there, namely Jet2.

If this is the case I can see EZY expanding/opening a crew base up at DSA. The amount of passengers from the North East, Newcastle / Sunderland / Durham areas etc that travel on EZY (plus numerous others) flights from DSA could perhaps sway them in this direction to perhaps expand on the base.

It does make you wonder, with the reduction in aircraft at many bases and more aircraft on their way, where all these new aircraft are going to be deployed.

apaul
3rd Aug 2010, 10:47
EasyJet is stopping flights from Doncaster from 31 December. If the planes are going to go elsewhere in the UK Manchester might be a better proposition. EasyJet had a decent opportunity at Newcastle, but hasn't moved onto the leisure routes with the greatest demand - e.g. Canaries in the winter and Turkey in the summer. Plus it has become so unreliable that I doubt it gets much business traffic unless there's no choice like to Bristol.

deltahotel9
3rd Aug 2010, 11:28
No great surprise with this announcement, shame really. Hopefully the new CEO of easyJet will sort out their strategy and resolve the arguments with Stelios over fleet size, they could then relaunch NCL for 2012 but I wouldn't personally hold my breath. As others have said I suspect Jet2 will launch a massive expansion to take up the lost routes therefore killing off the chance of an EZY return anyway. We'll see.

transwede
3rd Aug 2010, 12:17
What routes are they keeping for winter and then again for next summer?

Jamesair
3rd Aug 2010, 14:14
Routes kept for the 2010/11 winter are ALC..BCN...BFS..BRS...FAO..GVA..AGP...MLA...CDG. Routes lost are PMI..IBZ..STN...MAH...MJV...NCE...CIA. STN is the permanent loss, most of the others are seasonal routes as is GVA which has been re-introduced.

Summer 2011 has not been announced yet but I suppose "W" patterns from other bases could replace some of the based a/c routes (optimistic view)

pug
3rd Aug 2010, 15:34
If this is the case I can see EZY expanding/opening a crew base up at DSA. The amount of passengers from the North East, Newcastle / Sunderland / Durham areas etc that travel on EZY (plus numerous others) flights from DSA could perhaps sway them in this direction to perhaps expand on the base.

Could there be an outside chance that they may wind down their NCL base and run an operation from MME similar to DSA? I cannot see at the moment that DSA would become a crew base, but i can see more NCL aircraft (if they do leave) going to either MAN or onto the continent.

Unfotunately it seems, as has been alluded to in a post a few back, that they have failed to get into the major leisure routes and Jet2 have taken advantage of that already.

cjags
3rd Aug 2010, 17:26
Rumoured EZY commercial were at NCL looking at the summer 2011 schedule just last week and that a bid was being put forward for an A320 to take on some longer sectors. Perhaps 2x319s and a 320 next summer?

cjags
4th Aug 2010, 16:32
STN is to be continued until March 2011 and will be reviewed again then, though the seats are still be put back on sale. CIA and MJV will not be part of next years summer schedule for EZY.

NCL is performing better for easyJet than the same time last year.

Jamesair
4th Aug 2010, 16:43
Thats good news...the STN route was flown by an STN based a/c... really sorry about CIA but not surprised about MJV which Jet 2 have always flown.

cjags
4th Aug 2010, 19:19
Only the morning rotation STN>NCL has been a STN based a/c, the morning NCL>STN and the evening return has been NCL based.

So, the summer will leave easyJet with AGP, ALC, BCN, BFS, BRS, FAO, MLA, PMI, CDG, NCE, (MAH & IBZ July & August) and then possibly still STN if they can make it work. The confirmed routes to go in summer 2011 are CIA and MJV.

deltahotel9
4th Aug 2010, 19:52
So 3 aircraft dowm but only 2 routes to go? Must be serious frequency reductions on some of those being kept, presumably the double daily flights to AGP, ALC and PMI will be reduced to daily or worse? Unless they start 24 hour flying no way 3 aircraft can do all that.

cjags
5th Aug 2010, 09:38
I don't know the frequencies, sorry.

ncleflights
6th Aug 2010, 09:55
cjags - how reliable is your info that STN is staying, NCL management don't seem to know about this and are still in talks with other potential airlines for this route

transwede
6th Aug 2010, 18:50
Any chance of Rome being picked up by anyone else? LS?

Italy is scarce on NCL route network, with only NAP, PSA, VRN and TRN served via weely charter/loco services.

EZY obviously lost the MJV battle to the red army!:\

cjags
7th Aug 2010, 11:30
ncleflights - It's reliable. Also, if you try to book STN seats, it no longer pops up with "This route is only available until 31st October". The seats are still not actually on sale yet.

ash666
11th Aug 2010, 07:00
while it's quiet here, not just a NCL question that came up in a newspaper.
If a flight lands after an uneventful trip what happens to the data on the black box? Left on the box, wiped, taken off and stored???

Flightlevel001
11th Aug 2010, 10:23
The data remains on the recorder, usually up to about the last 20hrs or so, then re-recorded on a continuous loop.

neil_2008
11th Aug 2010, 12:43
Stansted back on sale for Nov-March. Seems to now be operated by a STN based a/c with the rotation starting STN at 07:00 with the return sector NCL-STN at 08:30.

It does however mean that a working day in London which one can do now with a 07:00 NCL departure and a 21:15 STN return will be more or less impossible with flight times of 08:30/18:25.

Hopefully numbers wont drop too much and they will keep it going post March. I personally like to use it to connect to a FR flight out of STN.

ash666
11th Aug 2010, 17:41
Thanks flightlevel001. I guess 20hrs is enough in case any future probs arise with the plane and they want to look back on the data.

sunshine79
12th Aug 2010, 12:56
Why is Thomas Cook Belgium flying from IBZ to NCL today? It landed at 12:30 and took off at 13:30.

deltahotel9
12th Aug 2010, 13:00
Its a weekly flight, high season only I believe been operating for a few weeks now along with the IWD Palma flight on a Friday and the AEU Saturday afternoon.

sunshine79
12th Aug 2010, 13:13
Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't noticed it before until today.

ShaunMcLean94
12th Aug 2010, 19:03
I'm flying on the IWB tomorrow from Newcastle, can anyone confirm it will be a A320?

Jamie2k9
12th Aug 2010, 20:54
Yes it will be A320. All chartered flights to the UK & Ireland are done by 320.

deltahotel9
13th Aug 2010, 15:05
Interesting post on arrivals board 'TCX873L 7:55 KOS DIVERTED TO MAN ETA NCL BY ROAD 0230' are they making the passengers walk from Manchester? Obviously more to this than first meets the eye I suspect.

ncleflights
13th Aug 2010, 21:44
Slightly off track but does anyone know what the latest plans are in respect of the new Airport Hotel.

I noticed earlier this week that it had been removed from the list of Hilton Hotels to open in 2010. Is the plan to open now in 2011 or has Hilton pulled out of the deal?

Does anyone know

Jamesair
17th Aug 2010, 17:48
And another one hits the dust.....Kiss Flights ceased trading today.

I have picked out 4 flight series from Newcastle solely involving Kiss....Corfu, Rhodes, Heraklion and Dalaman...first three operated by Viking and the fourth by SGX.

Passengers must be wondering who they can trust with their holidays.

Greek God
18th Aug 2010, 21:23
Ash
On the airbus the flight data is transmitted automatically to the operator on engine shutdown. The later Boeing 737ngs stored it on a PCMIA card which was manually downloaded every few days. Data is then stored as required.

ash666
18th Aug 2010, 21:43
Greek God,
thanks for that. I was wondering after my last post as 20 hours isn't even 2 long haul flights.

GrahamK
20th Aug 2010, 06:45
I see there's been a few T3 flights to/from Norwich recently? Series of charters or are we about to see these flights launched on a scheduled basis?
Nothing bookable on their website yet

ReadyToGo
20th Aug 2010, 14:58
Its an operational change. On some days when the loads for NCL-ABZ are good, the NWI-ABZ flight drops in to take extra passengers. Its operated on the Saab with its extra seats.
I've flown this route a couple of times, and I don't think any seats are sold NWI-NCL or NCL-NWI.
Anyone thnk NCL-NWI could work? I'm not sure theres the regular traffic to justify it.

T3 will have an Embraer at NCL next week.

Wellington Bomber
20th Aug 2010, 15:43
Ready to Go

The actual reason for dropping into Newcastle from Norwich is only a summer quieter season reason.

It goes back to normal from the second week of September when the kiddies and families are back at school.

ReadyToGo
20th Aug 2010, 16:06
My mistake. I use the ABZ route a lot and that was the reason I was given by the check in staff at NCL. Nice change to get a ride on the S2000. Not to mention the slightly later departure time means a little longer in bed!

NCL-NWI might be an interesting route for T3 to try, its not the best place to have to drive to, but I don't know that the demand would be there.

MichaelAM
21st Aug 2010, 19:31
Just read on UK Airport News that Newcastle are in talks with various airlines to begin the New York route, but also read that they are looking for a Frankfurt route and it is their target destination. Any ideas on who would take up such a route?

The FRANKFURT route that is!

ash666
21st Aug 2010, 19:32
skyman has just fainted.

Jamesair
21st Aug 2010, 22:43
I would think that Lufthansa via BMI regional would be a good bet.

SWBKCB
22nd Aug 2010, 06:21
Agree LH/BMR are favourites with FlyBe the outsiders - although we seemed to have slipped down their priority list. Unless I missed it, don't think we got a local press briefing at the time of the EMB-170 launch (unlike everywhere else!).

Can't see any other likely candidates.

GrahamK
22nd Aug 2010, 08:09
Jet2 have announced NCL-GVA 1 x weekly for the ski market, running from boxing day-start of january, then restarting February through to April. Timings are for a 737 operation

ReadyToGo
22nd Aug 2010, 13:27
Interesting move by Jet2, another direct head to head with Easyjet. Although the lower frequency seems to suggest they are just testing the water. What is EZY's frequency on NCL-GVA? Daily?

Interesting they chose to target GVA, are there no other Ski markets that are not served from NCL. Salzburg perhaps? Or anything in Northern Italy?

RTG!

skyman771
22nd Aug 2010, 19:22
ash666skyman has just fainted.
Absolutely not! but you have woken me up, these are the same two "old chestnuts" that have a perpetual place in NCL folklore, I must have first heard talk about FRA some 15years ago & as for NYC, I can't recall a time when it was not talked about! & accept that it will never go away but as for the present, then please lets give it a rest !:ugh:
Suppose the next thing someone is going to suggest is that JET2 are going to take these on "NOT!", accepting that is shopping specials....
Now before all of this conjecture starts even more adrenalin rushes out there, then some reality ! Guys you had better get a handle on the likelihood that it may be that the EZY base at NCL will have closed long before any NYC or FRA come on line & as for an EZY 320 that was alluded to in an earlier posting…. yet another dream!:(
What I don't know but strongly suspect is that Jet2 have locked onto this fact, which is consistent with the strengthening of their presence at NCL. Being cynical then continued attempts to undermine EZY's profitability at NCL & thus EZY’s continued presence, would to an extent explain their proposed GVA offering:E

Jamesair
22nd Aug 2010, 22:51
I go along with your arguments re Jet2 and EZY but I'm at odds with you about FRA. Why would Lufthansa not want to add another feeder route to its main hub, especially as the Star Alliance is not linked into NCL except to DUS and BRU by default with LH's takeover of Brussels Airlines (BMI).

NY has always been a target for the airport, it nearly happened with AA a few years back.

ReadyToGo
23rd Aug 2010, 00:18
Is the new Jet2 route to Geneva really going to hit EZY that hard? 1x 737 weekly compared to a daily EZY operation doesn't seem like a real assault. Surely they'd have been better targetting somewhere like Salzburg or Innsbruck with a weekly frequency, rather than adding extra seats to an existing, and well served market? Is there really that much demand for NCL-GVA? What are loads like on the EZY flights?

As for FRA, I think that will happen eventually, but not for a while yet. I'm told that slots at Frankfurt are fairly high demand. Has Newcastle ever had a Frankfurt link in the past?
What amazes me is that NCL-DUS. and NCL-Hannover have been successful routes for some time, yet Munich or Berlin has never been made to work. Munich particularly would fill a hole in the route map, and ought to be workable with a good mix of business, connecting and leisure flights, at least I'd imagine so. Surely the DUS and Hannover flights arent totally supported by Military personell!

RTG!

SWBKCB
23rd Aug 2010, 05:53
Didn't BA op BHX-NCL-FRA a long time ago (late eighties?)

crewmeal
23rd Aug 2010, 06:01
Didn't BA op BHX-NCL-FRA a long time ago (late eighties?

Yes quite right. Birmingham European operated their own flight from BHX to NCL and back using VB prefix. At NCL it became a BA flight to FRA and back. It used to be operated on a Gulfstream 1 turboprop or a BAC 1-11.

Around 1988/9 Birmingham Executive was bought out by BA and Maersk and became B'ham European. This enabled BEA to operate a lot more flights for BA because of the acquisition of jet a/c

apaul
23rd Aug 2010, 07:43
In terms of passenger numbers at least Newcastle to Berlin did work. Unfortunately EasyJet then moved the flights till late in the day so they were unattractive to business users. Plus it started cancelling a lot of flights during a previous bout of crew shortages. Numbers dropped mainly because of what EasyJet was doing rather than an inherent lack of demand. Munich with HLX did not work particularly well, but only ran for a few months and didn't have much marketing.

andrewmcharlton
23rd Aug 2010, 08:16
Isn't there a chronic shortage of slots at FRA? I suspect that there are other more premium destinations that FRA want to add before NCL anyway.

airhumberside
23rd Aug 2010, 09:47
Have Jet 2 secured a tour operator contract for GVA. Could explain the once weekly frequency and choice of destination

nef
23rd Aug 2010, 10:09
Someone on this thread a couple of weeks ago who appears to be in the know said that a new German route would be announced in "a few weeks", so we'll see what happens. I guess you'd need to announce pretty soon for a winter timetable start.

I would think FRA is tight for slots as well, but I think they are building a new runway there at the moment, so that should increase the possibilities for UK regional-FRA flights quite a bit. However, I don't think the new runway will be finished until this time next year?

Jamesair
23rd Aug 2010, 10:19
Some other routes I would like to see operate from NCL are, Venice, Berlin,Munich, Lisbon, Milan and possibly Madrid plus Stockholm

ConstantFlyer
23rd Aug 2010, 12:12
Re a Newcastle-Norwich flight, having spent 6h40m driving from Norwich to Newcastle yesterday, I'd appreciate one. Air Anglia used to do it in the 1970s en route to Aberdeen.

ReadyToGo
23rd Aug 2010, 17:55
I can imagine that Madrid could be a possibility in the next few years when the BA/Iberia merger is complete. I know BA have talked about possible expansion at Madrid, and can imagine a subsidary of BA or IB might give it a shot from a few UK regional airports.

Although maybe not, if it was going to detract customers away from LHR. But I would say its more likely than JFK or Lisbon.

Re: Jet2 to GVA, perhaps its a flight to cater for Jet2's own holdiay company? With seats availiable to the public as well?

Hipennine
24th Aug 2010, 08:55
Can't really understand this. The bulk of the self catering accommodation in the French alps and western switzerland is let on a fixed seven day cycle commencing on Saturdays (exception being the quiet periods when J2 aren't operating the service anyway). It's also a bit late in the year to be starting sales of a once per week ski-flight - a large proportion of skiers taking a week will already have made arrangements.

Jamesair
24th Aug 2010, 10:00
Interesting comment. I can't help but feel that with EDI/NCL flights being announced at the same time there must be some charter seat deal either with Jet2 Holidays or some other operator involved, with public seat sales being the icing on the cake. I could be wrong of course.

I can't find details of skiing holidays on the Jet2 Holidays website yet.

edilpa
24th Aug 2010, 14:02
The flight is being shared with EDI doing EDI-NCL-GVA-NCL-EDI so it would seem to me that they trialing it to see if they could get the demand

Jamesair
25th Aug 2010, 17:55
Looking at the July Pax figures some routes continue to impress.
Dubai up 16% to 15,169
Brussels up 100% to 3233
Dusseldorf up 37% to 4120 (maybe another frequency needed)
Copenhagen up 17% to 2114 (double daily 2011?)
Amsterdam up 2% to 22,548
Murcia up 10% to 12,555
Limoge up 40% to 538
Split up 42% to 1314 (maybe dropping it next year needs re-investigating)
Tenerife has built to 5809 this month
Malta steady growth now 2404
Dalaman 3,642 (new route)
Monastir 1060 (new route)
Sharm-el-Sheik (new route) 2136

Domestic routes remain very mixed

Aberdeen up 45% to 2286
IOM up 12% to 500 (Manx 2 doing ok)
Newquay/Plymouth, former shows 10% increase at 1142 while the latter shows 1% increase to 1900 (well done Air Southwest)
Belfast City figures not released yet...could be up though.
Guernsey gets off to a 488 start.

All other domestics show falls.

CabinCrewe
25th Aug 2010, 18:17
Why would they not drop Split, its not the percentage rise (given the program its being compared against) but the actual passengers carried- which to be honest are pretty low.

fl dutchman
25th Aug 2010, 18:28
Jamesair,
Are those figures scheduled flights only not including charter?.

GrahamK
25th Aug 2010, 19:59
CabinCrewe, based on 5 return flights during the month, I make the average loads to be 88.2% on the Split flight?

CabinCrewe
25th Aug 2010, 21:06
You better get on to the airline and tell them its all a big mistake and home calculated load figures are what count.....:rolleyes:

BAladdy
25th Aug 2010, 21:15
The flight is being shared with EDI doing EDI-NCL-GVA-NCL-EDI so it would seem to me that they trialing it to see if they could get the demand

I would have thought such a trial would have been more successful if they also offered the EDI-GVA via NCL between 26th December and 09th January.

I am guessing the EDI-NCL sector is more operational as it will operate using a EDI based a/c and crew from FEB 20th.

Jamesair
25th Aug 2010, 22:15
FL DUTCHMAN

The pax figures are for scheduled flights only. Charter pax are shown separately on the CAA website.

CABIN CREWE

The figures show an average of 131 pax per flight, divided by the a/c pax capacity gives the load factor....not really home calculations!

GrahamK
26th Aug 2010, 06:02
CabinCrewe, no doubt that it the end of the day it all comes down to how much pax are paying for the flights, and at the end of the day, only the airline knows that.

Re: The Emirates figures...bumped up due to the one off 77W flight, still good numbers though.

ted320
26th Aug 2010, 17:54
Does anyone know why todays Thomson flight from Faro diverted to Manchetser (TOM1411)? Am due to take this flight next week!

wanna_be_there
26th Aug 2010, 18:00
I *think* there was an issue with one of the engines, but will investigate further.
You need not worry though, as it isnt a regular event so chances are your flight will be quite uneventful.

nclops
26th Aug 2010, 18:28
Aircraft had hydraulic problems apparently and is still tech in MAN!

Jamesair
29th Aug 2010, 08:42
One bit of good news: NCL moved up the airport rankings from No.13 to No. 11 as per pax figures for the first half of the year.

grumpypsat
29th Aug 2010, 14:49
Anybody know why the Emirates was late today

TSR2
29th Aug 2010, 15:06
One bit of good news: NCL moved up the airport rankings from No.13 to No. 11 as per pax figures for the first half of the year.

Ironically because NCL had a lower decline in passenger numbers than EMA.

SWBKCB
3rd Sep 2010, 21:07
Chronicle reporting that Thomas Cook are to offer a one-off seven day series to Banjul next Easter - dipping their toe may be more if it sells well.

transwede
4th Sep 2010, 08:04
TCX will operate a one off 767 charter at Easter.

GrahamK
7th Sep 2010, 10:34
Would it not be better to use a 757, less seats to fill if this is indeed a trial to see if there is any demand for flights to The Gambia from NCL?

Travel Agent
7th Sep 2010, 21:10
Would love to see the flights to Banjul be a big success as I have been going there for 20 years - but I can't see it. We specialise in The Gambia and would love to see it do well, but we rarely get people from the north east prepared to try it, reminds me of Airtours a few years back putting on a few flights to Agadir in April but sadly they were'nt very popular with us toonies!

GrahamK
15th Sep 2010, 08:26
August pax figures are out:
Brussels + 118%
Copenhagen + 39%
Paris CDG -1%
Dusseldorf + 47%
Dublin stayed about the same
Amsterdam + 2%
Palma still as popular as ever with more than 46,500 people flying there :ooh:
Barcelona had a good month, +5%
Despite the collapse of Goldtrail etc, Dalaman seen huge growth of 51%
Dubai +12% (84.22% load factor based on 31 days of HD A332 usage).

All in all, not too bad you would think. Dubai impressive given that the summer months tend to be the weaker months for travel to Asia and Australasia.

YTD Newcastle isn't looking too bad compared to other airports, 4.4m pax which is down by 6%.

MUFC_fan
15th Sep 2010, 08:32
Dubai impressive given that the summer months tend to be the weaker months for travel to Asia and Australasia.

DXB routes are never weak(er). They're always strong with business and obviously now that DXB, MLE and South East Asia are becoming more and more popular with tourists and holidaymakers flights are always busy. Not to mention the inbound OZ/NZ traffic.

84% full A332 every single day however is very very impressive whatever time of the year for NCL! I'm also pretty sure that the belly will be packed full of Newcastle Brown also so certain to be a money maker for EK.

Great to see NCL doing so well with the airline of the moment.

deltahotel9
16th Sep 2010, 11:52
According to todays local press Thomas Cook have confirmed 4th based plane next summer. Doesn't look like any new destination though just increased frequency and their own Bourgas flight instead of sharing the BGH flight. Still excellent news.

CentreFix25
16th Sep 2010, 12:27
I think if they sold their seat only option at a more competitive rate they could take business from EZY (given EZYs recent performance).

It's a shame that they are still not flying to, or selling seats to Florida though.

GrahamK
16th Sep 2010, 12:33
Good news re the 4th TCX based a/c. Another 757 or a smaller Airbus?

Having a quick scan, looks like increases to Tenerife (up to 4 x weekly), Izmir (2 x weekly), Dalaman (5 x weekly) as well as operating Bourgas on their own a/c.

Anything else I've missed? 50 jobs for one a/c seems a lot though?

apaul
16th Sep 2010, 13:09
More than 50 jobs according to the Chronicle, with new travel agencies as well. ChronicleLive - News - Chronicle News - Thomas Cook unveils sunshine flights boost (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/09/16/thomas-cook-unveils-sunshine-flights-boost-72703-27280025/)

scone69
16th Sep 2010, 20:01
Anyone know why a Vulcan was over-flying the airport on Sunday?

54.98N
16th Sep 2010, 20:40
He was trying to find Captain Kirk?

GrahamK
16th Sep 2010, 22:14
Returning southwards from Leuchars Airshow I'd presume. Although they often like to fly over the Vulcan at Carlisle?

CentreFix25
17th Sep 2010, 06:31
Nice surprise when it unexpectedly flew over while I was in the garden, they might have chose to fly over the one in Sunderland this time.

deltahotel9
17th Sep 2010, 08:39
The Journal is today quoting Emirates as saying they will upgrade to 777 'this time next year' and go double daily 'within 5 years' in a similar manner to Birmingham. Has to be more good news.

skyman771
17th Sep 2010, 13:14
The Journal is today quoting Emirates as saying they will upgrade to 777 'this time next year'
Well you were told;) Mind you I'd have to have some crystal ball to be making a statement such as :-
and go double daily 'within 5 years'
Unsure what this would mean in terms of pax no.'s but would be interesting to consider in comparison with NCL's projected growth over 5 years if this was available. It would also be very interesting to see if EK's growth assumptions in both pax No's to DXB & those transiting to the Far East & beyond were similar.
As things stand then I can't see any model that would project such growth, would not be at the expense of the three other legacy carriers BA,KL & AF.

Jamesair
17th Sep 2010, 22:24
The latest series of announcements certainly are getting to be a bit more positive. It seems that based aircraft will now remain virtually unchanged with 2 being withdrawn by Easyjet, 1 being added by Jet 2 and 1 being added by Thomas Cook.....

I note Cardiff seems to have been withdrawn by Flybe from the end of October, with Jersey added to the winter schedules.

Neither Flybe nor Easyjet have announced summer 2011 yet and it looks like Eastern may do the Newquay/Plymouth route with their rumoured take- over of Air Southwest. Who knows what Ryanair may add or take away.

There could, of course, be other surprise announcements.

HH6702
17th Sep 2010, 23:12
Now that TCX are going to 4 aircraft i wonder what TOM have planned for NCL. THey were once the biggest charter airline and tour operator at NCL.

Would be nice to get a forth aircraft from them but im guessing it will be summer 2012 if they did.

All of this is good news for NCL!!!

ash666
18th Sep 2010, 06:05
How long have NCL been charging for fast track security? No wonder normal security is like watching a slow motion replay with only 2 machines open, probably under instruction so more people pay up. Not good PR.

ACARS
22nd Sep 2010, 13:54
Ash666

If you search back this thread you will see when the fast track opened. I think about 3 months now.

I fly out every Monday morning from NCL and normally every scanner is open and manned. Compared to previous years I think they have done a good job. I can only think of one occassion this year when I have queued back to the stairs. I guess at other times during the day the number of scanners open will reduce.

ash666
22nd Sep 2010, 16:11
Acars
Thanks. It's was only by chance I saw the option this time, not that I took it.
Only 2 machines open but queues not bad.

ReadyToGo
22nd Sep 2010, 22:56
I fly regular with T3 and get use of the fast track, but I wouldn't pay for it. Even at busy times, the difference between Fasttrack and normal hardly justifies the extra spend. NCL airport has its faults, but security has been much improved this year

Or have i just been lucky

Jamesair
23rd Sep 2010, 10:41
I see that Air Transat flights to Toronto with Canadian Affair for summer 2011 are on sale.

apaul
30th Sep 2010, 09:32
EasyJet have released their summer 2011 flights from Newcastle. No Rome or Murcia. No Stansted either, but I suppose the route may still run operated by Stansted-based planes.

Jamesair
30th Sep 2010, 10:52
just had a look through the EZY flights....a lot of cutbacks....Bristol very odd with two flights out most days and one return, in September three out some days and seems to end Sept. 18th.

apaul
30th Sep 2010, 11:29
I expect there will also be some NCL-BRS flights with a Bristol based aircraft. They would not run a domestic route with the first flight in one direction at 9pm. Flights after 18 September have not been released yet. The same applies to other bases like Manchester.

Jamesair
4th Oct 2010, 22:43
Confused by an arrival tonight....due 2200 expected 2231 from Epined operated by flt No. 00ASL. anyone able to throw any light on this?

mmeteesside
4th Oct 2010, 22:56
Presumably Be200 OO-ASL which came from Epinal in France, departed to Brussels soon after. Strange to see it on the Arrivals board though.

Jamesair
4th Oct 2010, 23:42
Thanks for the info m8

Jamesair
6th Oct 2010, 22:53
Anything new expected when Flybe announce their summer timetable for 2011 from NCL ?

SWBKCB
8th Oct 2010, 21:48
The Financial Times is reporting that Macquarie (owners of Copenhagen Airport) are looking to sell their stake in the airport as they look to get rid of some of their smaller aviation interests

apaul
9th Oct 2010, 00:13
Looks like Flybe is dropping the direct flights to Hanover from the end of October.

ash666
9th Oct 2010, 06:38
what is the VLM892 from AMS this morning(8.40)? Can't be a KLM typo as that is due in soon after.

ncleflights
9th Oct 2010, 21:16
apaul - the flybe Hanover service was always planned to operate summer only, see the flybe press release from March

Jamesair
10th Oct 2010, 09:06
re the VLM flight....it said diversion....from where?

SWBKCB
10th Oct 2010, 09:10
was operating AMS-NCL and diverted to MME.

GrahamK
10th Oct 2010, 09:17
KLM changes for next summer, no more mainline. 4 x Daily KL Cityhopper. First and Last flights of day operated by E190s, and the two middle flights by F70s.

AF are back to 3 x Daily CR7s, so a slight increase there.

LH DUS still 2 x Daily, but both flights operated by CR7s with the retirement of the CR2s.

ash666
10th Oct 2010, 09:39
which are the KLM planes that don't let you take trolley type hand luggage on?

CKT789
10th Oct 2010, 15:13
Before the F50's were retired they used to make you leave them at the bottom of the stairs when boarding.

ash666
10th Oct 2010, 16:44
thanks, though I won't be using AMS for long haul any more, thank God.

Earlyriser
11th Oct 2010, 14:05
Ash666

KLM aircraft that require Trolley Bags to be left at the aircraft stairs for delivery at the Aircraft in AMS are the Fokker 70 and 100.

Same for Air France, Lufthansa and SN Brussels at Ncl!

Any one know who the Titan 763 was operating for at NCL today?

ash666
11th Oct 2010, 15:20
earlyriser.
Thanks for that and it still means 50% of KLM flights do that. I managed to bypass the request(I know, naughty boy!) with an AF flight and I could, indeed, get my trolley bag in the overhead locker. It's a real pain, especially when you are on a short transfer as is oh so often the case(or at least was for me) with the time keeping of KLM.

skyman771
11th Oct 2010, 16:01
KLM changes for next summer, no more mainline. 4 x Daily KL Cityhopper. First and Last flights of day operated by E190s, and the two middle flights by F70s.
Got to presume that this results in a significant drop in number of seats available ?
Is this a strategic change or just further evidence of lack of interest in the North East ?:(

SWBKCB
11th Oct 2010, 16:34
or Emirates nicking their hub traffic?

JKKne
11th Oct 2010, 18:32
I notice the airports' website has changed the timetable information from the old detailed kind with timings and aircraft type and operator to a list of destinations, days and the parent airline and telling you to refer to the airline for times (at least for Winter Scheduled anyway) which is a bit lazy imo!

Teeing myself up for my first Jet2 experience when I return back to Newcastle with work next week.

Any airside changes lately? Shopping, Bars etc?

Jamesair
11th Oct 2010, 22:28
I understand that the change from the excellent monthly timetable to the format available now was a cost saving measure.

ash666
12th Oct 2010, 06:09
Crikey, it must only save about £1.50p. Are they that desperate?

JKKne
12th Oct 2010, 10:07
It's bizarre isn't it?

You'd think they'd just copy and past the new info onto the old stuff, I'd imagine the aircraft types don't change that much for the majority of the scheduled stuff

skyman771
12th Oct 2010, 11:52
I came across this “New Format” timetable yesterday and found it frustratingly annoying, uninformative, and the link to it misleading.
I hope that someone responsible for what is basically misrepresented as a timetable when all it is in reality is a link to the web sites of others, is reading and taking note.
The really sad thing is that the document presents itself as no more than a copy of a third rate spreadsheet that I would in my business expect that even an office junior to be capable of a producing.
What this really indicates to me is an embarrassing lack of resource and ability within the airports marketing team, who if they are too busy (presumably only explanation to extra cost), then what are they actually achieving?

10 DME ARC
12th Oct 2010, 15:39
Boys boys boys do you really think the general public in this day and age really check an airports web sites for time tables??? Yes tell them where and who go there but that's all needed in this computer age!
Plus airlines these days change time/dates etc so oftern during the season far better get up to date info from horses mouth?!

KLM change their objectives all the time for example last year KLM were always the cheapest hub airport from NCL, now this year this has changed for Eastwards travel Emirates seem cheapest most times I've tried! Emirates have not changed fares drastically KLM have, taking less discounted Y fares. So less discount fares less people!!

Jamesair
14th Oct 2010, 12:21
Flybe - Summer 2011

Hanover reduced from 3 to 2 weekly
Guernsey - withdrawn
Cardiff -withdrawn.

Belfast City
Jersey
Gatwick all of these routes much the same as 2010
Southampton
Exeter
Limoges

GrahamK
14th Oct 2010, 18:44
That time of month again...CAA provisional stats:

Brussels: 3975 +179%
Copenhagen: 2221 +32%
Paris CDG: 15290 -4%
Dusseldorf: 4177 +97%
Dublin: 11039 +1%
Amsterdam: 22079 -3%
Dubai: 14261 +11% ( if based on A332HD being used 100%, ave loads were 86%).

So for September, 491430 -2.7%

12 months rolling, 4378717 -6%

Some encouraging signs though :ok:

skyman771
15th Oct 2010, 08:34
Some encouraging signs though

Reminds me of the politicians who deliver ecconomic news based upon the rise & fall of rate of changes, thus on first impession poor news can be softened. Decrease in the rate of falling pax no. is good in that if sustained & extrapolated may suggest growth in the medium term.
For me the background is perhaps a little more worrying, case in point excellent news re Emirates, but can one conclude that this is not simply at the expense of KL/AF?, not withstanding that in addition the monthly total pax no.'s continue to fall. Note the LHR data not stated what is the trend re BA?
My understanding is that in "ball park" terms the airports business model was based upon some 5M pax. p.a. and as such then there are perhaps a number of concessions on the concourse, together with neighboring support services such as hotels who may not be at all happy with the latest batch of statistics.:(

Jamesair
15th Oct 2010, 09:12
The BA figure was good.
LHR 46,974 up 4%

JKKne
15th Oct 2010, 10:05
Speaking of airport hotels, is it nearly completed and signed up (ws it Hilton that wanted it?) or are we talking the same timescale as a JFK daily from NCL :E

GrahamK
15th Oct 2010, 18:20
Is the 4th TCX a/c another 757, or is it an Airbus?

Ph1l1pncl
23rd Oct 2010, 23:33
Its gone very quiet on here lately. Is anything happening at the airport at the moment?

Is the old Greggs unit still vacant? I would have thought that unit would be good for Subway, they have shops in Liverpool and Bristol airports.

wanna_be_there
24th Oct 2010, 06:58
Is anything happening at the airport at the moment?

Well, the only thing I can report is that from March, NCL-DXB goes from an A332 to a B772.
The B772 will come off the ZRH route when that gets a B773.
Not reflected in the booking engine yet, but there are still a lot of changes to be made to the EK summer 11 timetable.

Sam Chipperfield
24th Oct 2010, 10:06
Should be good if Emirates use the 777's from March, fingers crossed !!

andrewmcharlton
24th Oct 2010, 12:42
Wannabe - what is the basis of this knowledge?

Seljuk22
24th Oct 2010, 14:29
Reliable source but not official:
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates new routes (and changes) for 2011 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14998950-post2.html)

fozi999
25th Oct 2010, 22:07
Good news for NCL. That'll be almost a 20% increase in capacity.

Does anyone know if the 772 has the lie flat seats with ICE AVOD in J?

GrahamK
27th Oct 2010, 18:13
I see NCL has been voted the Best UK Airport (under 6m pax) for 2010 at an awards ceremony in London. Congratulations :D

fozi, I believe the two class 772s of EK are similar to the A332s with regards entertainment...

ash666
27th Oct 2010, 18:29
Hard to believe.
ash,
Heathrow.

SWBKCB
27th Oct 2010, 19:39
From the Journal:

BATA, whose members include some of the world’s leading airlines and tour operators, voted Newcastle International the UK’s best airport with up to six million passengers per year. They beat off competition from Bristol and Exeter to win the coveted award.

Dave Laws, chief executive of Newcastle Airport, said: “We’re overwhelmed to be recognised for the second consecutive year as the UK’s Best Airport. 2010 is an exceptional year for Newcastle as we celebrate our 75th year in operation. The airport’s continued success makes such an important contribution to the regional economy.”

Understand that the airport continue to celebrate the 75th Anniversary and have started knocking down the Aero Club building

skyman771
28th Oct 2010, 20:08
GrahamK
fozi, I believe the two class 772s of EK are similar to the A332s with regards entertainment...
I don't believe this is necessarily true Graham. Insofar as I know the 777's all have various versions of the AVOD systems i.e. you watch / listen to what you want when you want. I presume we are discussing coach here (other classes offer more comprehensive products).
The A330's have the more basic system where there are a small number of films that go around in a loop. The films in the loop change over monthly, there are about 6 loops containing different films but you only get the choice from two loops on any particular flight hence they are able to separate West / Eastbound & remove content that may be sensitive to particular routes. Similarly with the audio, you can't construct your own library on the A330's. As for the 777's then there are various versions of the AVOD basically depending upon the age of the aircraft, but all I believe offer some choice to watch what one wants stop/start to allow for meals etc. The most modern 777's in the fleet the 772LR's have possibly the best ICE of any ecconomy offering & with the newer style seats then you also get a larger screen thrown in.
Now interestingly the 772's that have been recently mentioned are the oldeset models in the fleet (even older than the A330's!), and at >14 years then possibly there may be some upgrading due to bring up to latest versions. There are actually only 9 772's in any event of which 4 are the higher powered ER versions. How this fits into the matrix as to the cabin configs of 2 / 3 class then who knows?
Anyhow the Flyertalk argument is completely flawed as ZRH currently has 773's on the DXB ! Is likely for NCL to get any 772 version? then IF it does then it can only be the 772ER which has the enhanced engines and better airfield performance. Now how many of the 4 of these machines are 2 class ? Note all other UK provincials now have 773ER's which also have enhanced airfied performance.
Interestingly when I first posted that I'd heard that EK were serious as to introducing the 777 to NCL, then the source at EK which has proved reliable so far intimated that a significant issue was the availability of the only ONE specific version of the 777 that was considered suitable to NCL's runway restrictions. So then perhaps we are to see a max of 4 772ER's operating the route.

Ringwayman
28th Oct 2010, 20:32
There's also another reason why the UK provincials have 77Ws and why going to 772 is logical for NCL; that GLA went A330 to 77W was more down to the cargo being carried than passenger loadings at the time. However, passenger loadings have increased quite substantially.

Jamesair
29th Oct 2010, 16:27
FLYBE WINTER 2010/11

JERSEY not now operating over the winter period. Re-starts 30th March 2011

fl dutchman
29th Oct 2010, 23:17
From the E K website all the 772 aircraft have recently been re fitted. The 3 class ones have flat beds in First, sleeper seats in business.

777LR all 3 class with private suites, lay flat beds and economy. All 772 have the ICE entertainment system.

Would it be a leap to far for the NCL flights to go 773, as per other UK airports ???.

BE. Not surprised re the Jersey winter service. The same happened last year.

Am I dreaming re the Hanover service, could have sworn that they put winter seats on sale when winter seats originally released then withdrew them.

Sam Chipperfield
31st Oct 2010, 12:20
Arrivals

CB901 11:45 LONDON LUTON

Anybody know what this Scot Airways was doing coming in then?, Obviously not taking Newcastle anywhere

compton3bravo
31st Oct 2010, 13:32
Suggest an executive charter for the Newcastle v Sunderland game for the well healed north-easterners living in London - back in Luton about 6 pm.

apaul
31st Oct 2010, 14:20
If they are Sunderland fans they will be regretting it.

EGNT
1st Nov 2010, 20:19
Nice to see an old DC-10 in this morning. Anyone know when she's due back in next week? PM me if need be. Sorry about the spotter-ish question!

fl dutchman
2nd Nov 2010, 11:21
Looks like its going to opperate with Brussels Airlines own RJ85 from start of summer 2011 schedules. Still 3 daily.

Jamesair
2nd Nov 2010, 14:44
I'm not really surprised...pax figures have rocketed since three flights daily were introduced and the new increased tax on long haul flights will surely encourage traffic via BRU/AMS/CDG and DUS, this leg just having a £1 increase.

Not sure what effect this will have on Dubai connections.

I find it difficult to grasp the thought processes in the Treasury which managed to arrive at a policy likely to inflict such damage to the UK aviation industry. Maybe they have never heard of the law of diminishing returns.

getonittt
2nd Nov 2010, 16:28
I'm not really surprised...pax figures have rocketed since three flights daily were introduced and the new increased tax on long haul flights will surely encourage traffic via BRU/AMS/CDG and DUS, this leg just having a £1 increase.

The tax will be the same as a direct UK flight as it's determined by the end destination if booking an E-ticket, Unless you spend more than 24hours in the hub european city before onward travel.

apaul
2nd Nov 2010, 18:58
Unless they have a lot of bookings from a corporate customer like Proctor and Gamble I would be very surprised if 3 return flights a day on a much bigger aircraft than at present is sustainable.

TSR2
2nd Nov 2010, 19:32
Absolutely spot on. A lot of people think that they can avoid the higher duty on long haul flights by going via a European outside the UK.

If the connection time at the European city is less than 24 hours, the flights are considered 'connected' and therefore the APD is charged at the higher long haul rate.

CentreFix25
3rd Nov 2010, 16:32
Anyone know the plans for the site of the original terminal building/Aero Club/ Wings Bar, which when I drove past today was half demolished?

Jamesair
3rd Nov 2010, 17:34
Air Southwest has published its Summer 11 Timetable today

It looks like NCL loses its Plymouth connection and the Newquay flight is 5 x weekly but part of a new route from Cardiff to Newquay, although offered on the ASW site it seems to be part of the Eastern operation becoming NCL - CDF - NQY

Ops Guy
4th Nov 2010, 14:38
With all this talk and speculation about Emirates potentially upgrading to a 777, will runway shoulders become an issue in the near future?

groundhand
8th Nov 2010, 12:55
TSR2,

Is this true if you are using different carriers?
For example if you fly UK/AMS on a loco and then long haul on KLM on two separate bookings.

I can't see how the UK HMR&C could levy taxes ex AMS?

GH

roverman
8th Nov 2010, 15:55
Ops Guy....

B777 is an ICAO 'Code E' type for airfield infrastructure, but so is the A330. According to ICAO Annex 14 and the UK's CAP 168, a Code E runway of 45m width should have 7.5 metres paved shoulders. The A330 has been using this runway for some time, presumably on a safety case type approval from the CAA. FOD due to blast or erosion of the grass shoulder should not be any greater an issue with the B777, being a twin. Ultimately it will be a matter for NCL to agree with the CAA, having looked at any other safety issues which may arise from the absence of paved shoulders.

TSR2
8th Nov 2010, 19:25
Yes, the APD applies irrespective of the airlines involved, providing the flights are considered connected and shown on the same ticket.

As far as I understand, if you book individual flights then they are not connected and therefore APD is payable on the first flight only.

Cheers
TSR2

Jamesair
8th Nov 2010, 22:38
EASTERN

Cardiff - NCL - ABZ route to start 4th January 2011 one flight Mon-Fri plus Sun.

No difference on the Northbound flights* but additional Mon - Fri rotation on NCL - Cardiff...dep. Ncl 1725 arr. Cardiff 1840 giving three daily NCL - Cardiff flights

* 2 x M - F... Cardiff - NCL plus 4x M - F... NCL - ABZ
4 x M - F....ABZ - NCL plus 3 x M -F...NCL - Cardiff
The Sunday flights route Cardiff - NCL - ABZ and vv.

In the summer NQY enters the NCL - Cardiff equasion.

ash666
10th Nov 2010, 09:01
could I invite all staff at NCL to go to LHR and learn how to run an airport. I arrived back yesterday evening and immigration took seconds. No queues and only a second or two to pass through, none of this endless scanning the passport through readers, staring at the screen, back to the passenger, back to the screen etc that we get at NCL. Got to the luggage carousel very quickly and there was my bag. Plane landed 6.45pm and I was driving away at 7.15pm.
What a different experience to NCL.

st nicholas
10th Nov 2010, 10:40
NCL is a regional airport ash666. In other words it is backward. Look

1. Litter pinned to wire fence going to the terminal.

2. Rotating doors normally unserviceable.

3. Slowest lift in western Hemisphere.

4. Airconditioning constantly broken on floor 3.

5. Smell of piss from filthy carpets near stand 2 waiting area.

6. Escalator to arrivals off more often than not.

7. Grey grubby fat people smoking outside terminal ( not in smoking area ) binning fag ends all over the place.

8. Shed like sliding doors leaving the arrivals hall.

Anyone think of any more?

TSR2
10th Nov 2010, 12:38
Why do you not move bases then if the situation is that grim at Newcastle?

Flyit Pointit Sortit
10th Nov 2010, 13:36
St Nic,

Another 1 to add to your list, No staff channel, ensuring that we are subject to abuse when we have to ask passengers to let us pass.

Jamesair
10th Nov 2010, 20:45
BRUSSELS AIRLINES

I read on another thread that the use of RJ85 aircraft may not be the final story on this route for next summer.

Jamesair
10th Nov 2010, 21:22
JET2 SUMMER 2011

Since I originally looked at the summer schedules there have been some changes/increases in frequency.

Heraklion changed from Th to Tu
Ibiza Th added
Malaga F added
Murcia Tu added, now daily
Mahon M added
Pisa W added
Monastir W added

GrahamK
12th Nov 2010, 20:03
Have the Eastern Airways Bergen flights quietly been axed?

apaul
12th Nov 2010, 21:48
They appear to be dropped for the winter, but can be booked for the summer.

GrahamK
15th Nov 2010, 19:29
Main one's:

Brussels: 3658 +131%
Copenhagen: 2114 +20%
Paris CDG 15202 -7%
Dusseldorf: 3487 +64%
Dublin 12317 +8%
Amsterdam: 22588 +4%
Dubai: 14293 (82% loads based on 278HD A332 being used every day)

Heathrow: 43784 +3%
Gatwick: 9116 -11%
Stansted: 11722 +1%

Overall YTD: 4.3m -5.6%

fl dutchman
17th Nov 2010, 11:49
Note that Ryanair have Oslo and Dublin on sale for Summer 2011.
No sign yet of Girona.

Re CAA stats the Sept 2010 vs Sept 2009 pax numbers down by just 1%. The -5.6% YTD numbers will include the Ash cloud and BA strike so I suppose that would have been better if it was not for those factors.

Positive signs ??.

Any news of Stansted after this winter ??.

dwlpl
17th Nov 2010, 11:53
EasyJet have released their summer 2011 flights from Newcastle. No Rome or Murcia. No Stansted either, but I suppose the route may still run operated by Stansted-based planes.

Both routes confirmed as being axed and based aircraft is down to three.

EasyJet axes two of its city flights - Business News - News - nebusiness.co.uk (http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2010/11/17/easyjet-axes-two-of-its-city-flights-51140-27667073/)

GrahamK
17th Nov 2010, 12:02
Could we see Jet2 or Ryanair step onto CIA? Jet2 will be loving the fact that EZY are pulling MJV, perhaps extra capacity for them to put on that route?

skyman771
17th Nov 2010, 13:52
Chief executive Carolyn McCall has said easyjet is committed to the airport…..
I for one would not take any comfort from this, they are not investing at all in their base which I have intimated before rests on a knife edge. The problem is that they see greater potential revenue returns elsewhere and in such an environment there is never going to be ANY speculative expansion.
..and is focused on retaining a “profitable share” of the market.
This is in reality what one should be concerning oneself about, as any drop in profit / revenue & it may be all over !

andrewmcharlton
17th Nov 2010, 19:10
and is focused on retaining a “profitable share” of the market

To be fair that's what every business should do. It sounds a bit like the dreaded manager's vote of confidence mind in footballing parlance. I suspect that Flybe would suit STN and others perhaps better to Jet2 but those pax figures do suggest a bottoming out given the industrial action and ash cloud as previously mentioned. Flat or modest growth might even be on the cards from spring onwards.....

Then we can get back to the important stuff like crazy NYC chatter, runway extensions and perhaps a hotel opening....ho hum.

ash666
18th Nov 2010, 08:17
Pity about the Rome flight, I use(d) that one.
Apart from EK which seems to be a big success it seems like NCL is going down the pan. How unfortunate to have it as my local airport.

skyman771
18th Nov 2010, 12:12
Apart from EK which seems to be a big success it seems like NCL is going down the pan.
Lets put this in context, the WHOLE COUNTRY is going down the pan! What is perhaps more worrying is that the North East as a whole is likely to suffer more than most, which will obviously have an adverse effect on airport revenues.
What should not be overlooked is that effectively NCL's catchment area is decreasing. A decent no. of Pax. used to come from the North, even well accross the border, but due to a diminishing Loco offering at NCL vs. EDI which now offers a very comprehensive no. of Loco sevices / destinations, then this has all but dried up. This basically leaves Thompson & TCX to trawl in what there is from this corner of the market by means of capacity control & favourable pricing.
..How unfortunate to have it as my local airport.
Anyhow lets face it "Ash" it can always be worse, just ask those down the road at DTV !

ash666
18th Nov 2010, 12:14
I don't know why I haven't looked properly at EDI before, easy enough to get to.

apaul
18th Nov 2010, 12:39
Apart from having a better range of European routes (partly because of many more incoming visitors) I don't think you'll find EDI a better airport than NCL. Re parking for example, you only get 10 mins for £1 for dropping off near the terminal and its £5 if you go over 10 mins. If you want to avoid the charge you have to go the long term car park and get a bus. A lot of the terminal building is older and more crowded than NCL. NCL is far from perfect, but it's one of the better airports in the UK in my opinion and performs reasonably well given the limits of its catchment area.

ash666
18th Nov 2010, 12:42
At the end of the day it's the choice of flights that important. Maybe that's why EDI is crowded.

Get me some traffic
18th Nov 2010, 15:35
And Teesside is empty!!!

SWBKCB
18th Nov 2010, 16:18
From the Journal:

BUDGET airline Jet2 is creating nearly 120 jobs at Newcastle International Airport next year after seeing a dramatic increase in business. The carrier needs the new ground staff, pilots and cabin crew as it moves to fly to five new destinations from Newcastle next summer.

It is also bringing its fifth Boeing 727 to the airport as it starts the services to Alicante, the Algarve, Toulouse, Krakow and Prague. Jet2 will be the airport’s biggest airline when it completes its growth plans which will increase its seat capacity by 50%.

The service, owned by Dart Group, last year had a record year at Newcastle with more than 300,000 passengers using it at Newcastle. It launched six new leisure routes to holiday destinations including Cyprus, Egypt, Turkey and Gran Canaria and currently has 40 flights a week departing from the airport to 20 destinations.

In addition to its new routes, further services are being added to existing summer 2011 schedules to holiday favourites, including Ibiza, Mahon, Malaga, Tunisia, Murcia and Palma. The expansion comes as rival easyJet is axing services to Murcia and Rome and reducing the frequency of other services as part of a nationwide shake-up of its business.

Philip Meeson, boss of Jet2.com and Dart Group, said: “Easyjet is cutting back its presence at Newcastle Airport significantly in 2011. Jet2.com on the other hand is growing its presence dramatically for next year. We see Newcastle Airport as a really key location for us, hence we are introducing another aircraft, to operate additional destinations and increased flight frequency. Customer feedback shows there are additional routes and services the people of the North East want, and we have factored those into our plans.”

Dart Group will release its financial results today.

Yesterday EasyJet was Newcastle's biggest airline - lies, damn lies and statistics!

dwlpl
18th Nov 2010, 16:53
727!!!!!!!!!!!!

rpmac
18th Nov 2010, 22:23
Skyman wrote that the numbers of passengers using Newcastle but coming from North of the border is decreasing and this is true. The arrival of the Low Cost airlines has made the difference because years ago there were few Charter/holiday flights from Edinburgh and so passengers frequently used Newcastle and Glasgow. It was common to hear people say "oh we are flying from Newcastle (or Glasgow, even Manchester) but not very much now. Now we hear "flying from Edinburgh" .....
The airport is very modern, not crowded and easy to use.

ash666
19th Nov 2010, 05:50
rpmac
Is it easy to get from the train station(? Waverley?) to the airport?

rpmac
19th Nov 2010, 09:16
Yes... Airlink bus 100 every 10 minutes direct to the airport, about 25 mins journey time. Lothian bus no 35 also, but not from the station.

fl dutchman
19th Nov 2010, 10:08
Lets not forget that NCL is also easy to get to from the main train station (Frequent Metro direct into the terminal).

It is also modern and in my opinion easy to use. It is also not crowded these days.

Has it not won some awards recently for service?

Does it not come fairly high up the list in terms of punctuality?

Parking isnt to bad when comparing with some other airports.

Regarding routes, dont forget NCL still has a very good choice of routes both charter and scheduled.

I do agree with the earlier posters re people not coming down from Scotland in such high numbers as before due to availability from EDI. But does NCL not have an advantage with cheaper flights in some cases ie lower supplements with some tour opperators etc.

NCL is by no means perfect and no doubt many a fault can be found. However No airport is perfect, some are better or worse than others.

I have been around for quite a while now and In my opinion there are a lot of airports both in the UK and Worldwide many times worse than NCL.

Incidentaly I dont work for the airport.

ash666
19th Nov 2010, 10:12
rpmac

skyman771
19th Nov 2010, 13:38
fl dutchmen & others
Guys I was not seeking to make any comment constructive or otherwise ref. EDI in fact I haven't flown from there since the "Turnhouse" days, ... fond memories of the old buildings....
Good news about Jet2 in particular the adding of new destinations, though the benefits of evermore competition on the "bucket & spades" is questionable and one wonders if the reality is simply a power struggle at best, or simply getting one's foot firmly in the door to ensure that no one else can get in if a certain airline were to pull out:uhoh:

fl dutchman
19th Nov 2010, 15:10
Skyman771.
I have no problem with your comments re EDI/catchment you are quite correct. Was just trying to ballance the view of NCL vs EDI as an airport

Re Easyjet I note that the number of flights this winter is probably not much different to last when there were 5 aircraft not 3 as at present. So the better efficiencies reffered to by the Chief Excec are probably valid, as last winter the aircraft utilization was poor.
However that does not apply to next summer where there must be about 40% cut in capacity. So does that suggest they didnt make any money last summer hence the cut back in the coming summer. If they did make money last summer surely they could have kept capacity about the same by basing 5 aircraft just for the summer or by flying W patterns from other bases to supplement the 3 based aircraft..
I think Skyman771 is correct re jet2 getting its foot firmly in the door incase someone pulls out. Unfortunatley that is quite possible the way things are going although I hope not. If they were committed to NCL, going from 7 to 3 based aircraft over the last few years and almost no new routes is a funny way to demonstrate that. Of course the Scottish factor may be big factor in the decision, but it does not seem to affect Jet2 decision to expand or TCX bringing in aircraft 4.
We will probably get a better indication about Easyjets future plans when they release winter 2011/12. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Still looks like STN ends in March, anyone heard anything?.

I do think someone will announce Rome for next Summer shortly !!.

ash666
20th Nov 2010, 07:00
Just been looking at the EDI timetable. They go direct to New York!!
I don't want to start that argument again but it must be one in the eye for NCL.

deltahotel9
20th Nov 2010, 09:28
Its not too hard to see why TCX can add another aircraft if you look at other factors, apparently there is a resurgance in package bookings especially all inclusive deals so people know exactly what they will spend in their holiday in these 'tough economic times'.

In a similar manner it's quite possible others are struggling more as the prices EZY charge from NCL are never that cheap compared to other bases, without wishing to open the EDI debate further compare the prices. Having said that LS are not cheap either, just compare prices to LBA.

If your are prepared to travel a bit further you can get much cheaper fares with the same airlines that fly from NCL, personally I hate traveling to other airports when I can fly from the local but if you are counting every penny is does matter.

CabinCrewe
20th Nov 2010, 10:38
EDI JET2 to NYC ? I see no mention of it, and would doubt it against CO , unless its a JET2 holidays charter

fl dutchman
20th Nov 2010, 10:58
Resurgance in package hols.

Perhaps thats one of the main reasons that Jet2 are doing so well with a lot of people using Jet2 holidays, with the financial protection and the all inclusive options.

I am sure that I read somewhere that Easyjet were going to do something similar with package holidays next year.

JKKne
20th Nov 2010, 13:09
EZY already offer a holiday package service, it was launched last year when they changed from Easyjet Hotels to Easyjet Holidays easyJetHolidays - holiday packages and city breaks at easyJet prices (http://holiday.easyjet.com/)

Newcastle does struggle sometimes but it is in a relatively poor economic area (if you take the swathes of its catchment area into account) and has a low migrant population comparable to other major towns and cities (aside the medium sized Indian and Pakistani communities in West End Newcastle and the Jewish community in Gateshead) it's not got the masses of migrants that require Pakistan Airways or someone else to turn up on a daily service, or even a weekly service

Economically the area is moving to the service industry so the demand for business travel isn't as great but you've got more Executives from London and Europe and the States visiting the call centres, the distribution centres and the technology industry that is developing in the region.

it's a spade and bucket airport with added extras and it does that job well. I have no issues with connections from NCL. CDG. AMS, LHR are all good places to connect (not forgetting Dubai)

Not many cities of Newcastle's size (small in global and even national terms) have an airport with such links that Newcastle does, my local airports are Barcelona (an occasional nightmare) and Reus (a hut that simply wouldn't exist without charters)

I think people expect too much, possibly buoyed on by Emirates success and American sniffing around a few years ago.

Any build up will always be slow but the airport will turn a profit on bucket and spade routes as they are the passengers most likely to spend in the bars and restaurants and shops as they enter 'holiday mode'. Having used Emirates (from Dubai twice inbound but never outbound from NCL) the vast amount of passengers still seemed to be 'holidaymakers' and good for them!

Don't kick the place while its down, have a little patience. After all, it could be DTV

Travel Agent
20th Nov 2010, 15:46
easyJet Holidays are to expand big style from March, they have just signed a deal with a large bedbank namely Lowcost Group who operate Lowcostbeds and Lowcostholidays dot com. There was another group called On Holiday Group who were in with a chance but easyJet chose Lowcost.

The trade press say it will take the third place in the package holiday list that was vacated by XL.... see TTG or Travel Weekly's websites for further details.

fl dutchman
20th Nov 2010, 18:44
JKKne.

Excellent post.
Last line in particular!!. Didnt know about Easyjet holidays.

Jamesair
20th Nov 2010, 23:10
NCL always did have a big IT trade, which took a knock when the lo-cost airlines became based at the airport. However it seems that a resurgence is taking place with TCX basing a fourth a/c next summer and Jet2 holidays and now EZY getting in on the act.

On the scheduled front, it is nice to see that CPN is seeing a pax increase each month now and hopefully we might see a return to double daily again soon.

OMGitsDAVE
25th Nov 2010, 21:21
Apparently a plane has overshot at newcastle. No injuries.
Anyone got any more?

paarmo
25th Nov 2010, 21:26
Just exactly that which was reported on ITN. Airport website not responding so must have a lot of hits looking for what may have happened.

EGNT
25th Nov 2010, 21:26
Thomsonfly, FDZR.

paarmo
25th Nov 2010, 21:29
Bit more info here but not much.
Airport Movements (http://www.dtvmovements.co.uk/)

daz211
25th Nov 2010, 21:42
Maybe TOM1445 from Lanzarote :ouch:. (From Rumours & News thread).

ash666
25th Nov 2010, 22:02
memories of Dan Dair, 2 days running, IIRC.

LBIA
25th Nov 2010, 22:10
Here's the latest from The Press association regarding tonights over-shoot of Thomson Airways Boeing 737-800 G-FDZR at Newcastle Airport..

Passengers evacuated from plane

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/media/ALeqM5ja9RzQTccTyASu_PvDLkUUl8wbuw?docId=N028267129072530118 1A&size=s2

Nearly 200 passengers have been evacuated from a plane after it left the runway at Newcastle Airport.

Tyne and Wear Fire Service said the aircraft "had gone very slightly off the runway" but remained on the asphalt.

No-one was in injured in the incident, group manager Keith Carruthers said

Stampe
25th Nov 2010, 22:11
BBC News - Passenger plane overshoots runway at Newcastle Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11843907)

Jamie2k9
25th Nov 2010, 23:46
Passengers evacuated after plane slips off runway | World news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/25/passengers-evacuated-plane-runway-newcastle)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/11/25/1290727400287/Winter-weather-Nov-25th-007.jpg

simufly
26th Nov 2010, 09:46
8 braked wheels better than 4?

CHfour
26th Nov 2010, 10:41
8 braked wheels better than 4?

No. Four better than eight in these conditions as less chance of aquaplaning.

neil_2008
26th Nov 2010, 11:22
Anyone have any idea why the DUS was cancx this morning?

Ringwayman
26th Nov 2010, 16:59
Strike at Eurowings presumably. 46 flights cancelled in total.

SWBKCB
27th Nov 2010, 16:46
interesting story in the Journal (hopefully the standard of reporting is better than the Thomson B.737 escapade)

Scandal of airport bosses' bonuses revealed - Today's News - News - JournalLive (http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news//2010/11/27/scandal-of-airport-bosses-bonuses-revealed-61634-27725732/)

Jamesair
1st Dec 2010, 16:57
Its nice to see a 1000 departure to New York (Newark) on the departure board for tomorrow.

apaul
1st Dec 2010, 17:27
The flight is full as well, although you can fly next week for £250 return. The airport seems to be coping better with the weather than most of its neighbours. It has been open this afternoon and evening when other the airports in the North East, Yorkshire and Eastern Scotland are closed.

Jamesair
1st Dec 2010, 17:38
I noticed that...has it taken any diversions?

scone69
1st Dec 2010, 20:03
Think they`ve taken a few. Snow teams have apparently done an amazing job, kept the airport open nearly all day and still going in terrible conditions.
A credit to the airport, well done.

Jamesair
2nd Dec 2010, 22:47
Thomsons/First Choice will offer Barbados as a destination from Newcastle for Winter 2011. It will also carry passengers to join Thomson cruise ship "Thomson Dream ex Barbados