PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

transwede
14th Dec 2009, 08:22
TCX seem to have the usual flights, though in fact due to the 3rd based aircraft not operating through NCL on mondays and tuesdays, has there not been a slight reduction in flights?

GrahamK
14th Dec 2009, 20:55
November CAA provisional stats out now, Dubai 3% up on last year at 11614, which I make out to be just under 70% loads.

Jamesair
14th Dec 2009, 23:44
I think were quite a few flights using the lower capacity aircraft....which would change the load factor figure

Jamesair
15th Dec 2009, 12:08
Flybe have applied to operate a scheduled service between Guernsey and Newcastle

source...CAA licencing notices 8/12/09

SWBKCB
16th Dec 2009, 19:51
From the Journal - anybody understand what this means?!?

JournalLive - News - Today's News - Councils fear having to ‘bail out’ airport (http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2009/12/16/councils-fear-having-to-bail-out-airport-61634-25399658/)

uklad007
16th Dec 2009, 21:07
What this is basically saying is Newcastles debt needs to be refinanced in the future (either extending terms with existing banks or go to new banks to pay off the existing ones). But like everyone at the moment deals on loans/mortgages/finance are not as good as they once were.
Therefore as part owners the councils might have to put some more money into paying for the future debt.

I dont think it helps that the newspaper article is talking about "bailing out".
In addition i dont think Newcastle airport will find it difficult to strike a deal on its debt.
The only thing that slightly concerns if its true is the value of the debt at £300M which appears on the face of it to be a lot for an airport the size of Newcastle.

But overall its stating what everyone knows, debt finance is more costly now, but I cant see there is much to worry about for the future of Newcastle.

ConstantFlyer
16th Dec 2009, 21:16
Simply put, the local Councils own the airport, but in a similar way to how you or I might own a house: i.e. with a large 'mortgage'. When the current 'mortgage' deal runs out, payments on a new deal are possibly going to be much more expensive. The Councils would need to find this extra money, but with less funding from central government and lower council tax receipts etc are understandably worried.

10 DME ARC
17th Dec 2009, 09:15
Heaven forbid the councils have to put some money into the airport! They have taken enough out of the airport over the years! The bulk of the debt is from money raised to pay the councils for Copenhagen’s 49% stake in the airport, they then let JP refinance the airport paying them another £80m and himself a few million, could have been more if the present management had not stepped in! This is on top of the dividends they have received over the years and still are receiving, not bad for an asset that was given to them by the government for nothing!

KNIEVEL77
17th Dec 2009, 10:49
I'm still trying to find some info about the restructuring of the flying school and in particular Northumbria Helicopters if anyone knows please!

skyman771
17th Dec 2009, 13:08
This debt refinance, is actually quite straight forward.
You have a sucessful airport that has grown to an extent that it's deemed worth to a banker is more than it's balance sheet value. It's shareholders agree to realise the additional value in the airport by raising additional borrowings against this. So say the increase in value is £100M then you take out a 80% loan over 5 years, interest only, on say an £80M advance.
The fundamental business concept is that the capital raised will be put back into the business to generate additional revenue to service the interest and raise capital towards clearing the debt when it becomes due.
However instead you have a devious MD and a bunch of greedy shareholders who "snaffle the funds advanced" by the paying of a dividend to themselves & a reward bonus to the MD, then the model becomes more vulnerable as the pressure then comes back on the airport to secure growth through it's own resources to repay both the interest and ultimately the £80M advanced.
It may even be worse in that the loan terms may be that some or more of the interest was not paid but "rolled up" into the £80M resulting in a much higher amount becoming due at the end of the term.
Now the problem with this scenario is when airport revenue growth projections don't materialise, as in a recession, banks are not lending money & indeed ideally wish to limit their debt exposure by calling in their loans at the first opportunity. Predictably the airport has insufficient funds available to make repayment and no other lenders are at hand to advance a sum of money to cover the debt, and ironically even if there were, their valuation of the airport as security will now also have decreased resulting in even higher finance costs.
Now the question I ask is when Mr Greedy & gang of shareholders snatched at the money initially, then were they acting in the best interests of the airport or simply lining their own coffers? No need to reply !:sad:

andrewmcharlton
17th Dec 2009, 15:57
....or do the rate payers of the North East who supported the airport through rates and taxes for decades deserve some return on the investment?

Apart form direct funding for a long time what about roads, Metro and infrastructure that Tyne & Wear and Northumberland have paid for.

Not a justification just an observation.

HH6702
17th Dec 2009, 21:03
Airport have updated there timetable.

It states to contact MANX2 with regards to jan flights.
Are MANX2 still going to be operating the ncl iom service?

Jamesair
18th Dec 2009, 10:00
The Manx2 website still has NCL flights. They probably haven't provided the details to AOG.

The Bergen flights are not in the timetable either, this should also have been noted.

Musket097
18th Dec 2009, 21:55
Northumbria Helicopters Limited is now under new management. Neil Clark has sold all shares to Ashley Graham. Scott Dixon has replaced Mark Robinson as Chief Pilot. A/C New R22 G-DOGI, G-MOGY has been overhauled, G-MAVI is planned to be full time at Carlisle and R44 G-CDXA is the main AOC (Charter) machine. 2 CPL(H) courses have just been completed. Scott is now an FE (Flight Examiner). NHL plans to move back to Echo near the police unit in January into new portacabins.

KNIEVEL77 have you done your PPL(H) yet?

KNIEVEL77
19th Dec 2009, 07:24
Thanks Musket, so if Scott is now Chief Pilot and FE, who are likely to be their instructors now (I believe you are an instructor, will you be operating from their base in Newcastle)?

Having just sold my Lotus Exige, I intend to pay them a visit with a view to completing my PPL (H) by the end of 2010.

I'm not familiar with Ashley Graham but I always found Neil more than helpful having had many dealings with him via my job.

Good to see Scott is still there!

Although Neil has sold his shares is he still part of the company?

Thanks again for the info.

transwede
19th Dec 2009, 09:48
Libra Holidays have ceased trading, will this affect NCL in any way, i.e. how big was their capacity from NCL?

HH6702
19th Dec 2009, 09:56
Yes it will affect not so if they had any flights just for them but they did buy seats from jet2, tcx and others

GrahamK
21st Dec 2009, 20:00
Just the one diversion from the south today I take it?
BAW164 20:45 TEL AVIV LANDING AT 21:00

MarkyM3
23rd Dec 2009, 19:52
Just wondering if anyone would know why two of the LHR-NCL flights were cancelled today? I was due to be on one of them (17:30), unfortunately it was canned 1.75 hours before departure so I'd actually just arrived at the airport to check in.

Not sure if I am entitled to claim compensation for this since no-one could tell me why the flight had been canned. Doesn't seem to have been any severe weather at NCL today and Heathrow was OK so a bit of a mystery...?

Cheers.

PS Thumbs up to BA ground staff who were very helpful in rebooking my flight.

Jamesair
29th Dec 2009, 09:30
Eastern have some changes in January

SOU reducing to 1 daily M-F
ABZ increasing from 4 to 5 daily M - F

ReadyToGo
29th Dec 2009, 11:47
Sounds like T3 losing the battle at SOU vs Flybe. Hardly surprising, but a shame, as I use that service fairly regular now.

Will that one frequency be J41, or the S2000 from ABZ?

RTG!

richardhall99
31st Dec 2009, 11:00
So it was ten years ago when Gill Airways came out of administration and things were looking good for the airline with links to aberdeen, belfast city, dublin and london stansted as well as the paris cdg flight with Air France.

I wonder what the state of play would have been at Newcastle if Gill had survived:

Would the low cost carriers have forced them out?
Would the low cost carriers have even come to Newcastle if Gill were still here as Go only came once Gill had abandoned the Stansted route?
Would Gill be flying 737s as they dreamed and become a Jet2 affair?
Would the they have swallowed up by the likes of flybe?
Would Newcastle be a better position or not?

SWBKCB
31st Dec 2009, 17:15
Would the low cost carriers have forced them out? Yes - Gill couldn't have matched their fares or had the brand recognition (outside the likes of us, nobody knew Gill existed - I know, I twisted those arms...)

Would the low cost carriers have even come to Newcastle if Gill were still here as Go only came once Gill had abandoned the Stansted route? Yes, see above;

Would Gill be flying 737s as they dreamed and become a Jet2 affair? Don't know, but probably not - they didn't have a Channel Express behind them

Would they have swallowed up by the likes of flybe? Probably...

Would Newcastle be a better position or not? I hope so, but probably not

Great questions - is it only 10 years????

ConstantFlyer
31st Dec 2009, 22:24
Would the low cost carriers have forced them out?
Not necessarily. Airlines like Aer Arann, manx2.com and Air Southwest have all secured their niches in parallel with loco operators.

Would the low cost carriers have even come to Newcastle if Gill were still here...?
Yes, as Gill probably wouldn't have been perceived as a direct competitor on most loco-friendly routes.

Would Gill be flying 737s as they dreamed and become a Jet2 affair?
I think not, as there wouldn't have been room in the market. I think they might have tried to develop the 360 and AT7 services as BA regional services faded away.

Would they have been swallowed up by the likes of flybe?
Not if they had secured their niche - but flybe has certainly since moved into the area of the market that I would have expected Gill to be in if it had survived.

Don't think there's room for a return to the UK market, sadly.

flybar
1st Jan 2010, 09:10
What's the problem at NCL this morning - nothing appears to be moving!!

deltahotel9
1st Jan 2010, 09:19
At a guess, snow! Outside my window 10 miles away its blizzarding now and about 4 inches of new snow overnight.

KNIEVEL77
1st Jan 2010, 09:20
Happy New Year All,

Living near Newcastle Airport it would appear that as soon as the ploughs clear the main runway and because it is snowing so heavily it just gets covered with snow again and that is before they start on the taxiway!

It certainly seems like the largest drop of snow so far this winter and the most prolonged!

And i'm assuming that under the snow is sheet ice that would have to be removed/de-iced too!

It looks like 'all hands to the pump' but this is a massive snow fall in such a short space of time.

Ringwayman
1st Jan 2010, 09:20
The 0950 METAR shows 400m in snow. It's meant to be affecting northeast England today - it's also snowed at Dublin which has caused that airport to close.

KNIEVEL77
1st Jan 2010, 09:30
EGNT Closed Snow.

ericlday
1st Jan 2010, 10:45
Q) Egpx/qfalc/iv/nbo/a/000/999/5502n00142w005
B) From: 10/01/01 10:58c) To: 10/01/01 12:30

E) Ad Snow Closed

KNIEVEL77
1st Jan 2010, 12:15
Looks like EGNT has now reopened.

Just one question regarding departing aircraft after a closure, what is the etiquette regarding departures, is it according to their original departure time and the aircraft with the longest delay departs first or does it depend on the aircrafts final destination, length of flight or number of passengers on board?

BALLSOUT
1st Jan 2010, 12:58
Surely it's not ten years since Gill emerged from Administration, I would have said it was in 2001. In their hay day, I would say Gill had a lot more behind them than Channel express. If not but for the bank of scotland, where would they be now, who knows?

mad_bob
1st Jan 2010, 14:06
Ballsout,
Gill went under 20th Sept 2001 at about lunchtime if I remember correctly :(

commit aviation
1st Jan 2010, 14:50
Knievel77

Really down to who gets the aircraft de-ice rig first! :ok:

ATC usually are not that fussy - within reason they will take who ever calls ready to push (subject to slots of course.) With holdover times being quite short in snowy conditions the operation needs to be well co-ordinated or further delays & costly de-icing will be incurred.
Airlines may make a play for preferrential treatment if crews are nearly out of hours but normally its first ready, is first served.

KNIEVEL77
1st Jan 2010, 14:55
Thanks CA, which leads to the next question: do the de-icer rigs not go to the longest delayed aircraft first?

I was aware that BA1321 should have been the first departure of the morning but was no where near the front of the queue for departures when the airfield reopened!

BALLSOUT
1st Jan 2010, 16:38
That's right bob, I was there. The point was an earlier poster said it was ten years since Gill had emerged from Administration. They had been in administration for a year or so and had only recently emerged from it via a management buy out. Then after sep 11th the Bank of Scotland withdrew their financing forcing the company into recievership.

10 DME ARC
1st Jan 2010, 16:42
Gill?? A question too far I think because if Gill were still here then 9/11 would not have happened and the industry would be totally different!

ash666
6th Jan 2010, 07:52
is anyone else having problems with the website at the moment, very slow loading, if at all? It's been a problem for me for a week or 2 now.

skyman771
6th Jan 2010, 09:09
ash666
is anyone else having problems with the website at the moment, very slow loading, if at all? It's been a problem for me for a week or 2 now.
I certainly am, it has been of late the most frustrating site that I have used. Even when home page downloads (eventually !), then it's serious hassle trying to obtain the dynamic links such as arrivals / departures. As I write this then these links are NOT working & really if they can't do any better then best close the site down until they can. Now surely they can not blame the weather for this?:ugh:
If anyone needs flight info then they can save themselves serious hassle by simply using bbc, link below :-
BBC - Wear - Travel - Newcastle Airport arrivals (http://www.bbc.co.uk/wear/travel/flights.shtml)

ash666
6th Jan 2010, 09:31
Didn't know anout the BBC site, thanks.

Earlyriser
6th Jan 2010, 19:17
Flight BA238 from Boston possibly Diverting to NCL from LHR operated by a Boeing 777-200.

Aswell as BA883 From Kiev.

fl dutchman
6th Jan 2010, 19:27
BA238 Now gone to PIK.

BA 883 Landed at NCL.

KNIEVEL77
6th Jan 2010, 19:31
That BBC site loads much quicker than EGNT's.

ACARS
6th Jan 2010, 19:33
Prices of SN flights to Brussels have gone through the roof. Weekly SLF to Brussles for the last couple of years. Tried to book flights for February/March. Looking for £500 for a Monday/Friday return.

A few regular travellers are wondering whether these prices will continue the rest of the year. Already £200 for September flights.

Looks like NCL-AMS is my best option, but it's 8 hours home door to work door.

transwede
6th Jan 2010, 20:09
Few more cancellations ex NCL and airport now seems to be closed temporarily (clearing the runway?).

EGNT
6th Jan 2010, 20:54
Latest is that it will be re-opening at 22:10.

Jamesair
6th Jan 2010, 22:24
I've noticed the airport website is slow to load...zzzzzzz over the last couple of weeks. updated flight arrivals are available on BBC TV 1/2 Ceefax page 451 via Sky.

NB...just tried now 2325 and it loads instantly....looks like problem solved.

deltahotel9
9th Jan 2010, 09:38
Why is it that BA have cancelled all NCL-LHR services again today? Thats three days in a row I believe, at the slightest sign of trouble in LHR the NCL flights always seem to be first to be cut, surely they could have operated at least some of them?

KNIEVEL77
9th Jan 2010, 09:49
According to the local radio ALL BA flights between NCL and LHR have been cancelled today, tomorrow and Monday bar one each day!

I'm confused about this too!

JKKne
9th Jan 2010, 10:03
I was about to post on that very subject

I flew in from Spain with BA and was heading home for a visit to Newcastle on Thursday when I was told in Valencia by Iberia that my flight to Newcastle was cancelled but I'd be ok to catch the flight on Friday.

Arrived at Heathrow and the BA CS told me the flight was cancelled and that it was likely due to the weather that the flights on Saturday would be cancelled. Wasn't too impressed as I would have arranged flights into an airport with flights into Newcastle.

I asked for my options and was told I could take the train or that BA would put me in a hotel for the Friday but not the Saturday. I asked for a refund and it took an age as they couldn't work out the value of the flight to Newcastle as I was travelling VLC-MAD-LHR-NCL

I asked why Easyjet and FlyBe were able to operate into Newcastle and was told 'they have a different weather policy' by the CS girl.

In the end BA paid for me to be taxi'd to Gatwick and I bought my own flight with flybe.

Cancelled my return with BA and will route via CDG instead

SWBKCB
9th Jan 2010, 10:08
Nothing to do with weather at Newcastle - it's quite simply that BA's policy is that whenever there is any disruption to the schedule it is the domestic services which get pulled first to allow them to try and keep the rest of the schedule going. Their reasoning is that it is easier to find alternatives modes of transport for domestic flights.

sunshine79
9th Jan 2010, 10:19
Does anyone know what reg is operating the TOM BGI cruise flight? It's on final call, 1.5 hours late, good job the cruise dosen't leave for 7 hours after their original flight arrival, my parents are on this flight.

Earlyriser
9th Jan 2010, 14:10
Sunshine79,

This mornings BGI was operated by G-OOBK

sunshine79
9th Jan 2010, 14:25
Thanks for the info. The a/c eventually took off at 1239 instead of 0950, bloody weather!

transwede
9th Jan 2010, 16:45
Weather did not figure as a reason for the delay to the BGI flight. NCL is currently operating without any major problems considering the snow fall at present, thoguh aircraft are delayed as reaction of snow earlier on in the week.

MUFC_fan
10th Jan 2010, 11:37
I know this is quite a frequent question but is there at all a time scale for EK to look to upgrade their offering from NCL?

Not only is the 772 a larger aircraft it also offers a far superior product onboard to the A332. A friend of mine recently travelled to NCL-DXB-PVG return and was very disappointed with the hardware. The reason for this was he flew solely on the A332 and A343 - the two worst cabins on EK.

Every other airport in the UK experience's EK's flagship Y and J class (F at LHR on the A380- the 77W's from LHR and LGW don't feature the shower/suite! ;)), is it not time that NCL at least get the stepping stone to the 77W?

P.S. I do realise that their is more for consideration but from a selfish passengers point of view - it would be nice to see the newer aircraft!:ok:

ConstantFlyer
10th Jan 2010, 13:40
MUFC fan - I expect the aircraft type used will only change if the passenger profile changes, i.e. if more people book seats in Business Class, the airline will in due course make more seats available, either with additional flights or with an aircraft with a different seating layout.

Is the Newcastle route filling the Business Class cabin? Or in yield terms are leisure travellers calling the tune? Is there scope for a mixed operation (e.g. ATH-DXB has a daily 777 and a 4 x weekly A-330)?

For info, here is a list of which aircraft Emirates currently has scheduled for which routes from Dubai:

Airbus 330
Ahmedabad, Amman, Athens, Bahrain, Bangalore, Beirut, Chennai, Damascus, Dammam, Delhi, Dhaka, Doha, Durban, Dusseldorf, Karachi, Khartoum, Kochi, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Kuwait, Larnaca, Luanda, Mahe, Male, Malta, Moscow, Mumbai, Munich, Muscat, Nairobi, Newcastle, Nice, Riyadh, Rome, Sanaa, Shamshabad, Thiruvananthapuram, Tripoli, Tunis, Venice, Zurich.

Airbus 340
Abidjan, Accra, Auckland, Beijing, Beirut, Brisbane, Casablanca, Johannesburg, Lagos, Melbourne, Milan, Nairobi, Perth, Shanghai.

Boeing 777
Addis Ababa, Amman, Athens, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Birmingham, Brisbane, Cairo, Cape Town, Chennai, Christchurch, Colombo, Damascus, Dammam, Dar es Salaam, Delhi, Dhaka, Doha, Dusseldorf, Entebbe, Frankfurt, Glasgow, Guangzhou, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Houston, Islamabad, Istanbul, Jakarta, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Karachi, Kochi, Kozhikode, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Lahore, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, Los Angeles, Male, Manchester, Manila, Mauritius, Melbourne, Moscow, Mumbai, Munich, New York, Osaka, Paris, Perth, Riyadh, Rome, San Francisco, Sao Paolo, Shamshabad, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Tehran, Vienna, Zurich.

Airbus 380
Auckland, Bangkok, London Heathrow, Paris, Seoul, Sydney, Toronto.

By the way, MUFC fan, there can't be many Maidstone United fans up this way...;)

SWBKCB
10th Jan 2010, 13:52
The 330 fleet is split into low density (more business class seats) and high density layouts. Although scheduled to receive a high density version, I understand NCL gets a low density version about 25% of the time - don't know if this is down to demand for business class seats (which would be a good thing!) or other operational reasons.

And in answer to the original questions, if there is a time scale for EK to upgrade the route from NCL, nothing has been made public.

MUFC_fan
10th Jan 2010, 16:13
The 330 fleet is split into low density (more business class seats) and high density layouts. Although scheduled to receive a high density version, I understand NCL gets a low density version about 25% of the time - don't know if this is down to demand for business class seats (which would be a good thing!) or other operational reasons.

There is a 2 class and 3 class configuration (Y/J v Y/J/F) but I was not under the impression their were to different 2 class configurations?!:confused:

Thanks ConstantFlyer!:ok:

JKKne
10th Jan 2010, 22:21
Nothing to do with weather at Newcastle - it's quite simply that BA's policy is that whenever there is any disruption to the schedule it is the domestic services which get pulled first to allow them to try and keep the rest of the schedule going. Their reasoning is that it is easier to find alternatives modes of transport for domestic flights.

I figured as much, I intensely objected to be being blatantly lied to by BA CS at Heathrow, Iberia were great (surprisingly) at the Spanish end, they've been surprisingly improving of late.

I am a regular BA traveller and just hated the whole attitude. I'd much prefer someone had said to me the real reason and I'd have said fair enough and booked elsewhere.

Another corker, which I've relayed in a email to BA customer services was

'Easyjet and FlyBe are lower cost airlines and get preference for landing at regional airports as they have more flights than BA and FlyBe only operate propellor planes which are better in the snow'

This employee has been well and truly named and shamed to BA.

Credit to FlyBe and NCL staff who kept car parks and walkways clear and free during difficult conditions

ReadyToGo
10th Jan 2010, 23:58
Whats the difference in cargo space between an A330 and B777?

At NCL, Emirates makes a lot of money from below the floor, and I am sure that will be a deciding factor on any potential upgrade to 777, and not the need for a First cabin, or extra pax seats!

RTG!

N707ZS
11th Jan 2010, 07:53
Will a full 777 be able to clear the high ground when departing from 25?

skyman771
11th Jan 2010, 12:53
N707ZS
Will a full 777 be able to clear the high ground when departing from 25?
Abolutely not ! but the definition of "full" on NCL-DXB may be a little more subjective.
For those who want the "full nine yards" sic. on this then I recommend that you pay a visit to http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/777rsec3.pdf where you will find a cure for any insomniac !

Moving on then as to earlier observation as to IFE on EK 330 /340's then it is valid when comparing to EK's most up to date product & superb AVOD product now available on the 772LR's though I have no experience of their 773ER's. But then everything is relative & for those of you who have for years suffered just about every other product that has been on offer by every other airline operating out of NCL then even the A330 is a godsend:D. Albeit the choice is limited but then this really only becomes an issue when one does two or more sectors in the same month and then have the misfortune to suffer similar entertainment bands being selected by flight attendants. My experience of their A342's was also that they looked very tired, though I believe that a program is now in place to up grade the interiors & AVOD. I am unsure as to whether this will progress to the A330's though.

MUFC_fan
11th Jan 2010, 13:02
Moving on then as to earlier observation as to IFE on EK 330 /340's then it is valid when comparing to EK's most up to date product & superb AVOD product now available on the 772LR's though I have no experience of their 773ER's.

The 77Ws are being upgraded to match that of the factory new 772LR aircraft.

10 DME ARC
11th Jan 2010, 15:56
Is the Newcastle route filling the Business Class cabin? Or in yield terms are leisure travellers calling the tune? Is there scope for a mixed operation (e.g. ATH-DXB has a daily 777 and a 4 x weekly A-330)?

ATH is a straight day return for UAE(EK) crews, you could not do this at NCL as its a night stop.
Could the B772 get off RW25? UAE would not have said they would up grade to it eventually if it could not get in/out!!
A332 IFE, I believe NCL is seeing so many low density a/c due to the fleet being up graded to the ICE IFE system.

postcard
11th Jan 2010, 17:45
Stop laughing..get the BBQ stoked up for Feb!!

GrahamK
12th Jan 2010, 17:59
I notice that from the summer timetable, Lufthansa will be upgrading the morning DUS flight to a CRJ-700. The evening flight remains a CRJ-200.

OltonPete
12th Jan 2010, 18:31
GrahamK

There was a press release (German one surprisingly!) stating that
LH are disposing of all the CR2's and I think about 12 CR7's, so
there is a chance the evening one will get upgraded at some point.

However I am not sure of the timescale of their departure but BHX
loses it's CR2's either by 25/1/10 or by the end of the winter schedule. The last time I looked the last CR2 should be 22/1/10 but things always
change with the LH schedules.

However BHX will lose one of its four daily services on 25/1/10
but it does jump to 3 x CR9's eventually from the current mix of
CR2's, CR7's & CR9's.

Hopefully Newcastle will retain both daily services.

Pete

ACARS
12th Jan 2010, 19:45
Hello

I flew NCL-BRU on Sunday aftenoon on what I think was the 1st BMI regional flight using the SN flight number.

Does anyone know where the Sunday afternoon departure flight positions from? There is arrival scheduled on a Sunday afternoon, so I am presuming it's a positioning flight that comes in? I didn't get a chance to ask the crew after landing on Sunday.

Very impressed with the EMB145. Although the burn marks at the top of the emergency exit were worrying me at FL310. :mad:

GrahamK
12th Jan 2010, 19:53
ACARS, was there many people onboard? Would be interesting to see how well the new frequencies are doing. A much better sized a/c for the route too I would have thought

ACARS
12th Jan 2010, 19:54
Will be interesting to see how this route works out with 3x per day. Personally I think 2x day is better. 1x per day as with SN just was not working. Never more then 40 people on the Sunday or Monday evening flight out. Maybe with the early morning option we might see a few more people.

Ticket prices went through the roof at the start of the year. They were asking £400-500 for flights in Feb. Fortunately the prices have come down again. I have just booked my Februrary/March flights for <£200 each.

Without this route I am screwed for my job. I hope it's a success.

ACARS
12th Jan 2010, 19:57
ACARS, was there many people onboard? Would be interesting to see how well the new frequencies are doing. A much better sized a/c for the route too I would have thought

I counted approx 15 on the Sunday night flight. My mate travelled Monday night but I haven't heard the numbers yet.

I am back on the 1530 on Friday night. Will be interesting to see the numbers. I think the 40-50 normal will be split between the 1530 and 2000hrs departures from BRU.

Earlyriser
12th Jan 2010, 20:25
ACARS,

I think the SN flights are been operated by BMI crew Based at LBA so i would Assume the Aircraft postioned up from there.

Deep and fast
12th Jan 2010, 21:19
Aircraft and crew will be based in Newcastle. Same for the brs bru wet lease ops

d and f

Robert William
12th Jan 2010, 22:02
The aircraft came in from LHR on sunday afternoon.

HH6702
13th Jan 2010, 00:45
A lot of talk about the EK service and if we are to get upgraded to 777's??

There was a statement issued around september 09 saying that the service had beat all expections and forward bookings were shown good.

There was talk that they would look at upgrading the route to a 777 or adding an extra flight aday with the A330 and they would expect this to take place within the next 18 months if bookings were still up.

im guessing we will see what happens for next summer march 2011?????

I did hear that they have asked the airport to keep the airbridge stand free from 18.30 until 21.00 incase they do start the 2nd flight. not sure if this is still the case??

:ok:

CentreFix25
13th Jan 2010, 06:20
Can a 777 with an acceptable load operate the route, thought I read further up the thread that they couldn't?

deltahotel9
13th Jan 2010, 12:14
I wondered about the 'acceptable load' too, the statement above said a 'fully loaded' 777 couldn't make it out, I'm guessing fully loaded meant full of fuel and passengers but to Dubai they certainly wouldn't need full fuel load.

skyman771
13th Jan 2010, 17:01
Face the facts, a regular nonstop 777 service won't happen! & even if it did I suspect that it would not be long before it created more problems & issues than acceptable. On any given day met conditions could easily be outside of the anticipated performance parameters rendering margins too tight. So you bump pax or freight & see how long it is before bad publicity follows?..... unacceptable !:(

MUFC_fan
13th Jan 2010, 17:09
a regular nonstop 777 service won't happen! & even if it did I suspect that it would not be long before it created more problems & issues than acceptable.

:ooh:Contradiction?:bored:

andrewmcharlton
13th Jan 2010, 18:04
Its simply not going to happen anytime soon. Until and unless we have a nice booming economy, a runway extension and EK take leave of their senses they will find higher yielding routes to ply their trade on.

Park the idea until 2012 when you can also then start talking about NY again, oh no, I said it, standby for lunatic ideas...

transwede
13th Jan 2010, 18:17
Dont think the airport would keep the airbridge stand free on the 'off chance' - in fact it has been used between those times, so that rumour is just that. Pax figures are healthy on DXB, but not constant enough to warrant a 777. A 777-300 would have difficulties and would EK really put a 777LR on such a route? The A330 is suitable and doing well.

GrahamK
13th Jan 2010, 18:48
Talking about 777s and NCL, I see a BA example diverted into NCL from Atlanta this morning, along with a couple of other BA euro flights.

Ops Guy
13th Jan 2010, 19:44
Did someone say New York :E.

I did hear that they have asked the airport to keep the airbridge stand free from 18.30 until 21.00 incase they do start the 2nd flight. not sure if this is still the case??

Transwede
Correct we don't keep stand 30/9 free on the off chance. All stand allocations are seasonally allocated and that stand is regularly used once the emirates has departed. However, if EK did decide to go double daily then it would get that stand with the airbridge. It can also accomodate a 777 (before anyone asks).

As for a runway extension, nooooooo chance:p. If it was in the Airports plans then it would have been carried out last winter, when the current runway was resurfaced and the airfield was closed. We have also just had new ILS's on both runways at a massive cost. Extending the runway would mean ripping 1 of those out.

If EK were planning on upgrading, then they would already know what issues they may have with that aircraft and expected performance off 25.

Ops Guy :ok:

andrewmcharlton
13th Jan 2010, 19:52
Well said Ops Guy, isn't the reality that if it was operating consistently at close to capacity that all other economic arguements aside, they would likely stick additional rotations on using 332 kit, say extra on Wednesdays and Saturdays for example before going double daily IF it was a runaway success.

I wouldn't expect 777 anytime soon from anyone (diverts excepted).

roverman
13th Jan 2010, 20:03
It will be interesting to see what EK are planning in the longer term for NCL, because they will begin phasing out A330s later this year. B772/3 could probably operate with reduced payload or with higher than desired thrust settings. These may affect the economics of the route. A350 on order, which will probably have better field performance, but not until 2013>

Sam Chipperfield
13th Jan 2010, 20:09
What Reg Is The BMI EMB-145 Based up here doing the Brussels flights?

GrahamK
13th Jan 2010, 21:11
With ref EK and the 772ER, I asked the question on a certain other website, and got the following reply;

On the NCL-DXB flight the TOW will be 246T, this is based on a MZFW of 195T
On a perfect day with a Temp of 15c and Q1013 the RTOW will be 253T. (MAX TOW 267T)
This means the aircraft will have a under-load of 7T.

Dunno how true that is though...

Anyway, EK have A330-300s on order, I would expect that they would be the next a/c type the route see's (unless it gets dropped).

ACARS
14th Jan 2010, 09:32

I am travelling on one tomorrow. Will let you know the reg.

skyman771
14th Jan 2010, 11:27
Sam Chipperfield Hope this is of help & not meaning to be offensive, but there is a separate forum for Reggies & in addition you could also obtain full & comprehensive detail of all NCL movements by joining Air North (details available via internet).

MUFC_fan
14th Jan 2010, 21:10
It will be interesting to see what EK are planning in the longer term for NCL, because they will begin phasing out A330s later this year. B772/3 could probably operate with reduced payload or with higher than desired thrust settings. These may affect the economics of the route. A350 on order, which will probably have better field performance, but not until 2013>

As GrahamK says, the A333 would probably be the best bet however I think these will be 3 class aircraft.

How many 787s does EK have on order?

GrahamK
14th Jan 2010, 21:21
Mufc, 0 Afaik

MUFC_fan
14th Jan 2010, 21:24
Thanks.

WOW! The most successfully launched aircraft in commercial aviation history and EK isn't at the party? I am very surprised!

I did think that the A332/3, B787 AND A350XWB would be a bit too much for even EK...

GrahamK
14th Jan 2010, 21:29
December 2009 prov stats now out;

Dublin now under 10k pax a month,
Malta still going strong with 533% growth :E
Amsterdam and CDG still falling spectacularly.
Dubai up 12% to 12510 for the month

Lancelot37
14th Jan 2010, 22:54
Dubai up 12% to 12510 for the month.

That averages 403.5 per day! I've had a lot ot drink tonight but I must check the a/c capacity on that daily flight.

Hey! I'm booked on it for Saturday, EK 35, then EK 421 to Perth.
Any crew members crewed for those flights? I'd love to say hellow. I'm in cattle class. Just look for Lancelot.

fl dutchman
14th Jan 2010, 23:02
"AMS falling spectacularly". Very much to do with the removal of the mid morning flight. Its back for the summer but gone again for winter 2010/2011 re present plans. Cannot understand this at all. Its removal has a detrimental effect on connections.

MUFC_fan
14th Jan 2010, 23:04
It equals just short of 202 passengers per flight. Now that equals 72.5% on 2 class config. or 85% on a 3 class config.

Ringwayman
14th Jan 2010, 23:09
It's roughly around 470 seats available daily for EK. Don't forget the stats are made up of xxx-NCL and NCL-xxx and not just NCL-xxx so any kind of remark regarding average pax per day must be divided by the total number of flights per day (i.e. EK has 1 route but 2 flights) so that an accurate load factor can be calculated on total available capacity on any given aircraft.

Jamesair
14th Jan 2010, 23:11
If EK did double the flights it would interesting to see if they could achieve the spectacular results seen when LH doubled the Dusseldorf frequency (over 90% instant increase in pax numbers....a similar result was achieved on the Copenhagen route by Cimber before the recession kicked in.

skyman771
15th Jan 2010, 08:40
I think a little reality check is needed when discussing pax figures thro NCL. As regards the relative success of EK vs. the poor performance of KL / AF then there is unfortunately a link, & it concerns the limitations of the catchment area. For all to do well at NCL then you need generic growth produced from the area itself, hopefully also attracting further pax from outside the region. The generic growth is also of course linked to the ecconomy & individual wealth.
In reality EK has drawn a great deal of its traffic on Far East & Aus routes from BA & KL, which has an ever more detrinental effect of the LF's of the latter. One would suspect that the removal of a mid day AMS has only exascerbated the problem for KL & in reality will they fully recover? Interestingly one should review the overall effect that a much debated second daily EK would have on overall LF's and give greater consideration to the real growth in pax no.'s:=
The limitations on growth at NCL are clearly illustrated when the performance of Loco's such as EZY are considered, and that many earlier introduced routes have been pulled as being past their "shelf life" the interest of those able to afford having moved on. Albeit this, as an example, is more linked to the leisure side of market, but it extends into the scheduled services and at present business growth is also limited.

fl dutchman
15th Jan 2010, 11:18
Skyman771.

Good post but a couple of comments. The overall BA figures to LHR seem to suggest a general growth in pax nos over the past months except NOV I think and DEC which was down a little possibly due to weather/threatened strike action. Of course we dont know where these pax are flying onwards to.
I think the numbers to CDG are down mainly as a result of a decrease in frequency by Easyjet. As I understand it the AF figures have gone up slightly, but that is hearsay at the moment.
The removal of the 10am ish AMS I think is the main reason for the pax no decline on that route. It has a detrimental effect on connections. So EK and others probably benefit from this. The official reason it does not fly is " slot restrictions at AMS". I think the load factor for that flight was generally about 90%. As I have said before seems an odd one to cut. However its back for the summer and we shall see what happens.
Of course there is now the Brussels Airlines service with onward connections. It will be interesting to see how that performs.

Dont think an extra EK flight is on the cards just yet but that could change if things pick up dramatically or the BA service goes for whatever reason.

Travel Agent
15th Jan 2010, 16:49
Viking are to operate some flights for Kiss Flights for Summer 2010 from Newcastle:

NCL - CFU 2/8 - 4/10 Monday 1540/2100 1100/1235 VIK3013/4

NCL - HER 3/8 - 26/10 Tuesday 1740/2355 1235/1500 VIK3023/4

NCL - RHO 4/8 - 27/10 Wednesday 1820/0050+1 1245/1520 VIK3033/4

CentreFix25
15th Jan 2010, 20:20
Dont think an extra EK flight is on the cards just yet

Dead right, i'm sure it'll be a single daily A330 (or equivalent) in 2 years time too. I think things are acceptable as they are now without being fantastic.

I also think some of the posts talking of double daily or 777 upgrade is crazy wishful thinking plane spotter talk.

GrahamK
15th Jan 2010, 23:19
CentreFix25, I agree. The A332HD is the perfect plane for the present. Although, I'd assume EK bosses would prefer loads to be higher. (Don't think they've ever been above 75% ave' yet?).

Would be a shame for NCL to lose EK, but as ever its a game of dont use it, lose it.

HH6702
16th Jan 2010, 00:15
Great news about the above being added to the list for summer 2010!!!

just have one concern?
Will be able to fill all these extra seats on sale this year to these routes?
Jet2 and now Viking have added the same routes on the same days?

lets hope jet2 are selling fast?

:confused:

Anybody the aircraft being used for VIK?
one good think is that these extra flights only start in aug for the kids holidays

SWBKCB
16th Jan 2010, 06:02
Anybody the aircraft being used for VIK?

Announcing a new series of flights in January to start in early August and with three hour turn rounds I would suggest a not very busy one :eek:

sam1993
16th Jan 2010, 09:30
All the Viking flights will be operated on W-legs from Gatwick. However, the flight times have changed slightly and are now listed as follows:
Corfu - Mondays - 14.00/19.20 and 11.00/12.35
Heraklion - Tuesdays - 16.30/22.40 and 12.35/15.00
Rhodes - Wednesdays - 16.50/23.20 and 12.45/15.20
so it now seems that the aircraft will spend less time on the ground in Newcastle than was previously planned!

ACARS
16th Jan 2010, 11:21

G-RJXC was the flight yesterday.
20 people on the 1530.

transwede
16th Jan 2010, 15:19
Viking Airlines will more than likely use one of their 737-800 aircraft for the new flights, particularly if they are operating as W legs from LGW.

Jamesair
16th Jan 2010, 16:36
FLYBE

I understand that the NCL - Guernsey flts are planned at 2 x weekly (if they happen)

Looks like it is happening

Tues dep NCL 0830 arr NCL 1205 from 13th July
Sat dep NCL 1450 arr NCL 1825 from 10th July

HH6702
16th Jan 2010, 19:06
Great news from flybe!!

Looks like MAN will get ek A380 from 1st sept.
That spares up a 777 for NCL and
Our A330 will be used to start the DXB-BRS route ??

Let's hoping anyway !!!

andrewmcharlton
16th Jan 2010, 19:09
HH6702 - get a grip.

If we can't muster more than 80% LF consistently the chances of a 3 class config 777 is nil.

What is the obsession with this? move along....

HH6702
16th Jan 2010, 20:24
What about the need for extra room for the cargo

CentreFix25
16th Jan 2010, 20:29
That spares up a 777 for NCL

Like I said...

crazy wishful thinking plane spotter talk

Our A330 will be used to start the DXB-BRS route

Missed this one - can you back it up, or is it Air Berlin talk?

757 Speedbrakes
16th Jan 2010, 20:40
That spares up a 777 for NCL

Oh no, not again!!!!! :ugh: :rolleyes:

CabinCrewe
16th Jan 2010, 20:59
More likely spares aircraft for second daily GLA-DXB

ConstantFlyer
16th Jan 2010, 22:43
Let's not forget that Emirates is a global airline. A change of aircraft on the Dubai-Manchester route doesn't mean a spare aircraft for other UK destinations like Newcastle or Glasgow any more than for any other destination around the world. Emirates is opening routes to Prague, Tokyo, Madrid and Amsterdam this year, and may be considering adding extra capacity anywhere on its network. A fourth daily rotation to Shamshabad, perhaps, or a third for Kochi?

ACARS
18th Jan 2010, 16:53
There were only 3 passengers on XC today at 12:05pm. It was like having our own priviate jet. Captain even said "welcome aboard gentlemen".

WATABENCH
18th Jan 2010, 17:48
Just an outsiders perspective here, but a few posts on here have said about CDG, BRU and AMS pax figures falling spectaculaly, could this be an EK stranglehold of sorts? Passangers that were using these services for worldwide connections at these hubs, may well of swapped to EK, but this surely has a knock on effect to the local business market for those wishing to do business in europe, especially when it results in KL dropping a rotation? And with figures dropping so drasticly as described, could it not be long until AF drops rotations as well (especially as they are same company as KL) or even SN (as per last post by ACARS 3 Pax on a monday) sure fun to have your own jet as such? but what are the long term implecations of such low loads.
I know its the quiet season its the same all over the country (45 pax on BRS-EWR) down here yesterday apparently, but when you have your bread and butter business routes and airlines losing so much traffic, surely this has to be worrying somebody in the management offices in NCL.

Jamesair
19th Jan 2010, 13:24
Thomson have released Winter 10/11...anything new for NCL?

HH6702
19th Jan 2010, 14:25
Thomson holidays have added ssh from dtv for winter 10/11
Will try and get a hold of the brochure and see if there is anything new!
Hopefully luxor should be tried again

transwede
19th Jan 2010, 17:09
The performance of the LXR route from NCL was extremely poor, if they are pursuing that area of the world, maybe give HRG a try?

Jamesair
19th Jan 2010, 23:17
What were all the diversions and "aircraft holding in circuit" about ...yesterday morning (Tuesday)?

uklad007
20th Jan 2010, 00:10
I think it was fog and therefore visibility issues, similar to lba. Most diversions from both went to mme and literally filled their ramp as they landed all one after another there. A job well done to the people at mme who coped with that volume of planes in a short space of time which is unfortunately a rare sight. Will have been interesting at baggage reclaim as only two carousels there :)

Jamesair
20th Jan 2010, 16:51
Thanks for the info UKLad

GrahamK
20th Jan 2010, 18:51
From what I've seen, nowt new for NCL froM TOM next winter

HH6702
20th Jan 2010, 23:57
SSH on a saturday now on sale.

not sure if someone has already posted this if so sorry for repeating!

FFC
21st Jan 2010, 07:20
With the A380 going into Manchester in Sept this year. This actually may have a negative effect on NCL.
EK will be looking to fill this plane which carries 14 first class, 76 business class and 399 economy passengers = 489 total. Compared to the A330 27 business and 251 economy = 278 total.
That leaves 211 passengers to find to fill the A380. Some, but how many will defect off the NCL flight ?
When will the EK NCL flight become non- viable ?

MAN also has a designated EK only lounge for its business and first class passengers

The pull of the plane and the lounge could be prove irresistable.
NCL was rumoured to be MAN's third flight before it started and could easily be pulled if passenger numbers transfer to the A380 saving EK alot of costs.
EK despite constant rumours have still not changed the A330 after 2.25 years.
I don't mean to be mr doom and gloom, but NCL must be realistic in the future and fight to keep EK there.
I really hope NCL keeps EK , but with the catchment area and present pax numbers nothing is guaranteed.

GAXLN
21st Jan 2010, 08:50
What a lot of doom and gloom merchants there appear to be around at present - must be something to do with the weather. Emirates NCL-DXB service is getting along fine and is not threatened by whatever may happen at Manchester. Can't agree with the maths, FFC, as while there is a 211 seat difference between an EK A330-200 and an A380 the difference at Manchester is going to be between a Boeing 777-300 and an Airbus A380 which is somewhat less! If we all step back, the EK service from NCL has had to contend with the worst economic conditions since before the airport was built so the fact that it is still flying, passenger and cargo numbers are increasing and good yields are probably being achieved given the fares that are being sought whenever I look we should all take as positive. As for a 777 on the route, that will happen at some stage - no real issues with payload as far as I am aware as the prevailing winds are also blowing in the right direction en-route.

As for the impact on other airlines by EK the impact looks to have been minor. Sure, some passengers will have transferred but the market looks to have grown significantly as a result of EK's arrival into Newcastle - I guess this will include people captured back from other airports including Heathrow and Gatwick, people making trips they would not have otherwise made and other new business. Interesting to see in the Journal how many North East businesses appear to be doing more business on Emirates route network - by taking advantage of the greater global connectivity the route has brought to this region.

As for KLM's going to three flights a day to Amsterdam, just can't understand their thinking on this but good to see fourth flight returns this summer. Perhaps they have realised they need four daily flights at Newcastle to remain competitive in the marketplace. My guess is with or without EK they may have been at three this winter anyway as they have had a tough time as an airline recently.

Brussels Airlines numbers must be an effect of the time of year and the recent bad weather. I would expect them to pick up as awareness grows of the schedule change.

It will soon be spring so hopefully we can all feel more cheerful soon!

apaul
21st Jan 2010, 09:09
Looks like Newcastle is getting further cuts from the so-called 'world's favourite airline' Ryanair. Dublin down further from 9 to 7 flights a week and still with the poor 6.25am timing of the return flight Monday to Friday. Girona route dropped after 30 April.

northumberlandairway
21st Jan 2010, 09:13
Well done GAXLN!

Why are people so eternally pessimistic? If Manchester's EK capacity goes up, it doesn't necessarily mean they're about to cut Newcastle from the network. EK cleverly realised that there was potential for a long haul to Dubai and beyond, no doubt aware that Geordies were already doing that via LHR, AMS and CDG.

True, the catchment area isn't huge and most definitely not in the most prosperous part of the UK, but there is still a functioning region here which needs all the trappings of a successful economy which includes a decent airport.

Newcastle Airport is decent and although lots of things could be improved in terms of routes and frequencies, it hasn't sold out to the "all or nothing" merchants that are Ryanair and there continues to be a good mix of airlines serving the city. The return of 4 flights to AMS in summer is to be welcomed as well of course the increase of frequencies to BRU. If only offerings to Germany, Poland and northern Italy could be improved (which seems to be easily managed elsewhere in the UK), then the range of destinations would be respectable bearing in mind the size of the airport and the region it serves.

10 DME ARC
21st Jan 2010, 09:49
Well said GAXLN, as some one who used the service eight times last year the loads are on the up. Last two flights were four spare seats and six over booked, some upgrades going that flight!
I for one would not go to Manchester, 6-7 hour flight only to battle the M62/M1 for another 3 hours, no would much rather go back to going via AMS/CDG or heaven forbid even LHR!! However cannot see EK dropping the service so will continue with EK035/6!:)

HH6702
21st Jan 2010, 10:35
I agree well said EK is grown and will be upgrade.

As for FR maybe they will pull the off dublin altogether.
The airport defo don't Want them here and FR don't want to pay what they are being charge!

If rumours are true about aer lingus returning using aer arran atr's 2x daily then figures should go up.
Hopefully EI will give shannon a go also maybe 4 x weekly using the atr's also.

holgate
21st Jan 2010, 10:47
Used the EK service to oz over xmas and new year,first time flying with EK.
The flights were full out & back,crew were very friendly and proffesional.
The A330 though is starting to show its age,very uncomfortable seats, IFE had to be rebooted a few times....hopefully they will upgrade to a 777 in the future,(200LR which was my connection at dubai was fantastic!).
Hopefully the good people of the north east will keep supporting this service.
As for me,....will prob go back to singapore from MAN next time i visit down under,.....theres just someting about those singapore girls!!!!!

All the best

Holgate:)

HH6702
21st Jan 2010, 11:07
Someone has stated on the above that all EI uk routes to dublin except from lhr/lgw will transfer to RE from march.
3 atr 72 aircraft will be used on the routes and ncl will be added.

Hopefully there is room in the timetables for 2x daily to ensure the route works for them this time around!

BALLSOUT
21st Jan 2010, 15:34
Seems the "we don't want them here" is true about FR. I think this is a foolish move. I hear FR wanted a base at NCL but the management are doing a manchester with them. I think we will soon see some response from FR, maybe a few aircraft down the road at MME taking pax that would have flown to and from NCL.
Turn away the biggest carrier in Europe, smart move, not!

HH6702
21st Jan 2010, 16:27
Ballsout

Look at it a slightly different way. Look at FR at manchester.
If they did base at ncl and were given cheaper rates then easyjet and flybe wouldn't expand as it would be unfair to them.
After a few years ncl would try to increase charges and FR would then leave if they didn't get what they needed.
By this time the airport would then have to crawl back to the likes of easyjet and jet2.

As for dtv getting FR I can't see it. They couldn't fill the planes on the routes they had.
Think dtv need a smaller airline first FR have to big aircraft. Dtv needs to start making some money before they charge next to nothing to get FR to base!

Could be wrong with the above what do you guys think? FR at ncl would be good to get pax numbers up but would need to be treated the same as the other airlines!!

BALLSOUT
21st Jan 2010, 18:40
HH6702. I see what you are saying, but I am sure when easy first came they had a good deal, so why shouldn't Ryanair now. If FR did decide to go to MME, I'm sure they could fill the planes, and it would hurt NCL.

mmeman
21st Jan 2010, 19:14
Girona still bookable on the Ryanair website?

Newcastle doesn't need Ryanair, where as MME probably does! :}

ncleflights
21st Jan 2010, 19:15
I am not a great FR fan but can see both sides of the argument on this issue. Yes giving FR a great deal may upset the likes of EZY or LS but has this happened elsewhere? So far EZY have not cut back at Liverpool or Bristol (in fact the opposite is the case) or LS at Leeds.

A while back I also posted my concerns at EZY cutbacks at NCL were similar to what happened at EMA, before the pull out there. NCL is still not progressing as a base for EZY and I am still rather concerned about how committed they are to a future at NCL.

HH6702
21st Jan 2010, 19:56
Ncl didn't have an low cost carrier based until easyjet came along so a good deal is what was reqired to get easyjet to base!
With regarding ema and easyjet was ema a boeing base before becoming an airbus base?

I think ncl haven't seen much from easy over the last 2 years because we were a 737 base and all new aircraft were A319.
Will see what happens with easy over the next 2 years they should be growning at ncl if not then we will worry

fl dutchman
21st Jan 2010, 20:57
Gerona still bookable for summer.

Dublin one daily but better times ie not 06 25.

Why could FR not base at NCL with routes not operated by others. (there are plenty)

If they went to Teeside with the same routes being flown from NCL it would really hurt NCL.

northumberlandairway
22nd Jan 2010, 04:12
Ryanair doesn't need to base at NCL. Planes fly in and out of airports! With the thirty odd bases that they have shouldn't they be encouraged to fly to NCL. Routes to Milan Bergamo, Madrid, Stockholm Skavsta, Oslo Rygge or Frankfurt Hahn (their more major bases near cities that travellers from NCL may want to go to) three or four times a week may be viable and fill in some of Newcastle's gaps.

I always get frustrated when Ryanair announce routes to some obscure place from one of their more obscure bases. Sometimes I wonder what links the populations at either end of such a route actually have with each other and makes me come to the conclusion that the number of airports who are willing to play ball with MOL are getting fewer and fewer.

Fair play to Newcastle Airport for not being bullied by Ryanair and I think there may come a time (probably a long time from now) when Ryanair may have to accept higher landing charges as there is simply nowhere left to land the planes.

10 DME ARC
22nd Jan 2010, 09:24
Ryanair base/routes
First of all the NE only has a limited catchment area,
From the past years of low cost in the NE, people here want to travel to the sun,
So there are only so many routes a Low Cost carrier can really makes money on,
You already have a couple of low cost operators based giving you a fair coverage, I too would like to see Bergamo back but fail to see how some others would work?
So you get say £2 per pax from Peter and Paul Airways but Megalowcosta Air wants to do the same routes plus a few other sweeteners giving you 50p per pax? Now this would give the people of the NE great choice in how they get to the sun and some mega low fares. Great you think but then Peter and Paul Airways and some Charter Airlines get pissed off and bail out. Leaving Megalowcosta who now have a monopoly on the routes to the sun and low and behold the prices rocket(look at the DUB fares can be 4-5 times higher than London-DUB) AND low and behold the sweetener routes are not making money so they drop them !
This has happened before, just look at the glut of pax’s that went through the airport a couple of years ago when the previous CEO took every seat he could with whoever he could, great year for passenger numbers but no one made money, the airlines because of the competition and limited number of paxs. The airport lost out because we lost so many routes charter and low cost the next year because the airlines/charter companies did not make money the year before!!
Balance is what you need........

BALLSOUT
22nd Jan 2010, 09:35
What a lot of you fail to realise is that it doesn't make any differance what the airport gets from a carrier. They make their money from the shops and car parks etc. I flew with easy recently and paid them £50 for a return flight. When I returned two days later it cost me nearly £50 to get my car out of the car park. Where do they make their money, £2 from easy or £50 from me?
What they need is more people in the shops and car parks and FR are the ones who could do that for them!

Flightlevel001
22nd Jan 2010, 09:56
Personally I think that Flybe should be capitalising on some of this. Why not push for a Dublin service if FR pull out? BE also stood by and let Bmir in to operate the Brussels with the possibility of them expanding at NCL in the future. A direct competitor. There always seems to be rumours of BE expanding at NCL but it never appears to come to fruition! Mind you the addition of Hannover and GCI this summer will be a start. Is it down to a/c availability?

Teevee
22nd Jan 2010, 10:35
Ballsout, I'm sure that somewhere research has been done on this, and I'll bet the airports are well aware of it, that FR pax don't actually pack the shops, and from my experience I'd agree. Having done some airport watching over the last week or two it seems to be the BAR that empties when an FR flight is called, and then slowly fills up again in the interval to the next FR flight. The airport shops themselves don't actually see much extra custom from FR.

BFS101
22nd Jan 2010, 10:46
What they need is more people in the shops and car parks and FR are the ones who could do that for them!

I agree to an extent. When going off for a week or two in the sun, then I'd guess most would check-in luggage, freeing up hand baggage. However on recent flights with both Easyjet (to NCL) and Ryanair, the majority of weekenders have their clothes crammed into cabin sized trolley cases or back packs, with very little excess space for a shopping spree at the airport.

BHD staff, acting for FR, force passengers even with plastic bags from WH Smith, to put these goods into their cabin baggage or they wont travel!!! Even if its a newspaper and 500mls of water. I feel FR are particularly bad at this, tell the airport we'll get an extra x million through the doors every year, so provide us unsustainably low charges, and then employ incredibly strict hand baggage policies to discourage airport spend. Bars and food outlets may potentially benefit.

ConstantFlyer
22nd Jan 2010, 13:09
Ncl didn't have an low cost carrier based until easyjet came along

Before easyJet took them over, GO operated the NCL-STN route.

Ryanair doesn't need to base at NCL. Planes fly in and out of airports! With the thirty odd bases that they have shouldn't they be encouraged to fly to NCL. Routes to Milan Bergamo, Madrid, Stockholm Skavsta, Oslo Rygge or Frankfurt Hahn (their more major bases near cities that travellers from NCL may want to go to) three or four times a week may be viable and fill in some of Newcastle's gaps.

Quite agree. With all their bases dotted around Europe, FR has plenty of places from which they could offer flights to NCL. We as a region perhaps haven't been as co-ordinated and sharp as other regions around Europe in promoting inward tourism and investment. Everything has been very North-East-England-focussed, and maybe we've missed a chance to promote Newcastle Airport as a gateway to the Lake District and southern Scotland. Of course, One North East (the regional development agency) wouldn't support Newcastle Airport to do that as it would tread on the toes of the North West Development Agency and the equivalent in Scotland.

majority of weekenders have their clothes crammed into cabin sized trolley cases or back packs, with very little excess space for a shopping spree at the airport.

I understand why airports see shops as a vital source of income generation. But it mystifies me why people shop at airports at all. A hangover from the 1960s, maybe, when 'duty free' meant real savings? Going through Newcastle, you can't move for booze and perfume, and it's the same in many places. Somewhere recently on the departure screens, instead of the instruction 'WAIT IN LOUNGE', I was exhorted to 'RELAX AND SHOP'. What a cheek! I went through the low-cost terminal at Warsaw before they shut it, and the only shop was a newspaper/snack kiosk.

The shops must hate the locos, though. With so many travellers now going 'hand luggage only', the sales opportunities, especially for big heavy bottles and the like, are going to be limited.

When I returned two days later it cost me nearly £50 to get my car out of the car park

Don't drive if you can avoid it. While the official airport taxis are expensive, phoning your local mini-cab office and getting them to pick you up works out much cheaper. Similarly, many offer a fixed fare to take you from your door to the airport. If you're travelling light, the Metro is good.

Here are three improvements I'd like to see made to public transport at Newcastle Airport:
1) Have signage to advise arriving visitors of the mini-cab option, identifying the pick-up point, and giving the phone numbers of taxi firms around the region and a map;
2) Enable passengers arriving with no English coins to buy Metro tickets with notes or cards (I believe new ticket machines are in the pipeline); and
3) Offer some bus services which pick up/drop off outside the terminal, including ones at eg 0400hrs for staff.

skyman771
22nd Jan 2010, 13:19
BALLSOUT What a lot of you fail to realise is that it doesn't make any differance what the airport gets from a carrier. They make their money from the shops and car parks etc.
I am in total agreement, accepted it is all one big balancing act but there is a critical mass req'd to maintain & promote terminal concessions. I am unsure of the precise no. but I recall reading that it was near 5 Million pax. Other ground facilities that support, such as hotels & carparking also require considerable investment & lead time to set up & establish. Like it or not it's pax volume rather than carrier choice or routes which pay the bills !

10 DME ARC
22nd Jan 2010, 14:21
You are missing the point if you get a large amount of seats on the market at low prices with a limited market you will find people, as they did a few years ago, tempted by a really cheap flight to say Spain instead of going to the Greek Isles. So not only is the existing low cost to Spain hurt the charter companies on marginal routes to the likes of the Greek Islands are as well! So next year not only could the existing low cost be cutting flights but charter companies as well!
Just remember all the routes cut the year after we hit 5.7M in 2007!
And yes your average spend does vary between low cost and charter!

HH6702
22nd Jan 2010, 14:51
Flybe has 4 Q400's out in greece at the minute until august 2010
Will these aircraft be staying in greece for longer what is the latest rumours about them?

Just thinking we may get our 3 or maybe 4th based aircraft from flybe when the aircraft return ready for the winter timetable.

I think hannover will continue throughout the winter also hopefully turning into a daily service!

potash
22nd Jan 2010, 16:33
Contra to what moll and his buddys spout how many jobs his airline creates when they move into a airport the truth is the exact oppersite they attack the routes of the airlines already there. When they marched into bhx the very first week one of his planes had by by baby plasterd all over it bmi have slashed routes now and laid a lot of people off they are now challenging Monarch on every one of there routes but Monarch are every thing fr is not i beleive Manchester did the best thing Leeds will soon be a fr strong hold jet 2 beware:=

HH6702
22nd Jan 2010, 17:11
I don't think jet2 will go into a price war with ryanair and loss money.
I would expect more aircraft moving from lba to ncl and man in the next few years.

I would like to see jet2 try the following from ncl
Milan
Warsaw
Prague
Budapest

And bring back krakow

All the above routes would work say 3x weekly using the 737!!

andrewmcharlton
22nd Jan 2010, 19:24
Here is an outside bet, although it goes against the grain of my thought process, this new "2 tier" terminal at MME is in my opinion only being laid out because someone has said they want it as they wont pay full handling charges for a full service terminal. Nobody sensible would do it off their own bat, so who is asking for it?

BALLSOUT
22nd Jan 2010, 22:37
For my bet read my earlier post. (FR)

Britannia
23rd Jan 2010, 20:09
Flybe to Guernsey twice weekly, Tuesdays and Saturdays, Flights from 10th July.

sunshine79
24th Jan 2010, 22:03
Looks like T3 have an overnight delay, any idea why? I'm sure they'll end up putting pax on the other 2 flights in the morning providing there are seats to accommodate them.

andrew1968
25th Jan 2010, 08:41
Looking at The AirDB website KLM are dropping the AMS - NCL service.

Doesn't give a date of when this will happen.

Have taken a look at the KLM website and flights are still bookable at the moment.

rpmac
25th Jan 2010, 09:26
AirDB website.

Last week this site stated, if I remember correctly that Flybe were starting LBA to AMS which seemed strange, so to cancel NCL AMS would seem even more strange.

HH6702
25th Jan 2010, 11:11
Just cant see this happening!!
the amount of people transfering at ams to other world wide routes. they would loose too much.

i can see DTV loosing there's before us.

unless AF are going to start using A320 and 4/5 times a day and use CDG instead of AMS for the klm/af group ??

skyman771
25th Jan 2010, 11:57
Looking at The AirDB website KLM are dropping the AMS - NCL service What a complete load of B*****ks !!!
Why even bother debating this ?:ugh:

maxtoon
25th Jan 2010, 16:36
2009 prem stats :

HEATHROW 65,907,254 down -1.5
GATWICK 32,361,199 down -5.3
STANSTED 19,950,521 down -10.7
MANCHESTER 18,631,345 down -11.5
LUTON 9,116,057 down -10.4
BIRMINGHAM 9,093,787 down -5
EDINBURGH 9,044,402 up 0.6
GLASGOW 7,214,049 down -11.3
BRISTOL 5,615,336 down -9.8
EAST MIDLANDS INTERNATIONAL 4,653,195 down -17.1
NEWCASTLE 4,568,714 down -8.9
BELFAST INTERNATIONAL 4,536,843 down -13.1
ABERDEEN 2,984,035 down -9.3
LONDON CITY 2,796,998 down -14.2
BELFAST CITY (GEORGE BEST) 2,621,931 up 2
LEEDS BRADFORD 2,552,699 down -10.8
SOUTHAMPTON 1,789,579 down -8
CARDIFF WALES 1,624,728 down -17.9
JERSEY 1,461,111 down -8.2
GUERNSEY 902,079 down -1.4
BOURNEMOUTH 868,724 down -19.5
DONCASTER SHEFFIELD 834,644 down -13.8
EXETER 789,835 down -17
ISLE OF MAN 709,316 down -6
BLACKPOOL 277,191 down -36.9

john2408
25th Jan 2010, 19:28
Maxtoon - It would have been nice, if you could have included Humberside in your list!!!:ok:

ConstantFlyer
25th Jan 2010, 21:43
Not sure what this AirDB website is all about, but just had a look and was not impressed. Any website that calls people 'dude' rapidly loses my interest. With regard to the AMS-NCL route, might it be correct to say that KLM Cityhopper no longer operates the route because it's actually primarily a KLM mainline operation now?

Earlyriser
25th Jan 2010, 22:19
At the moment the KLM Operation at NCL is operated by Mainline!

But it looks like KLM are bringing the Mid Morning flight back for the Summer KL954 Operated by a F70.

HH6702
26th Jan 2010, 08:05
its gone to dTV...........

maybe FR will give us the evening service back but i doubt it!!:{

skyman771
26th Jan 2010, 09:53
NCL - DUB
Two ways to promote traffic on DUB either offer pax convenient timings & favourable practical connections to EI US routes.
Fares unlikely to drop, so what is state of play going forwards, given RYR's current performance?:(

Jamesair
26th Jan 2010, 12:17
Good news for DTV but leaves NCL with a greatly reduced Dublin service....virtually impossible, I suppose, to get another operator to go head to head with Ryanair. I suppose thats why EI chose DTV

transwede
26th Jan 2010, 18:11
Viking Airlines are developing a sizeable prescence at NCL for the summer season, with HER, CFU, HER and KGS operating up to now, with adhoc flights planned also. Could we one day see a base opened, much like the old XLA/FJE basing?

HH6702
26th Jan 2010, 19:22
Kos??? Thought it was
Mondays cfu
Tuesday her
Wedneasday rhodes

Good if they have added kgs!
Think next summer we may get a vik based aircraft for the peak season july until sept.

Anybody know if bmi are still basing part of the week?

Airport timetable should be uploaded within the next 10 days or so should be good to see

sam1993
26th Jan 2010, 19:41
The timetable (http://www.newcastleairport.com/NR/rdonlyres/6AB6CD7E-995C-446A-92EF-48C8FC0D9136/0/S10NCLTOGEd3.pdf)has been updated today! No BMI flights and no Kos flights from Viking :ok:

sunshine79
26th Jan 2010, 20:59
Thanks, I was just wondering earlier on today when the Summer timetable would be out. Looks like there is a lot of flights to DLM, I just hope the seats can be filled.

SWBKCB
27th Jan 2010, 16:26
From NIA website:

New summer routes introduced to Newcastle Airport - Thomas Cook UK & Ireland has announced two new flight routes to be operated this summer direct from Newcastle Airport, to Izmir in Turkey and Bourgas in Bulgaria

HH6702
27th Jan 2010, 17:18
Bourgas flights are the BGH flights. TCX holidays just have an allocation but let's hope we have a direct TCX airines flight next summer.
Izmir flight is a new TCX flight on a saturday. Looks like it replaces the faro which we had last year.

transwede
27th Jan 2010, 18:41
One of the charter companies is selling a VIK KGS flight on wednesdays. The seat onyl part of Viking is heavily resembling Freedom Flights, which was the seat only part of XL Airways, so it is entirely possible they could follow similar programmes in future!

HH6702
27th Jan 2010, 19:20
Do you know the vik flight numbers being used for kgs?

ACARS
27th Jan 2010, 20:43
Anyone used it?

Newcastle Airport - Newcastle Airport land Air Traffic Control simulator (http://www.newcastleairport.com/Newsroom/Press/simulator.htm)

ihadcontrol
28th Jan 2010, 17:31
Sounds good. No pics or prices tho'

Travel Agent
28th Jan 2010, 18:26
There is an operator are offering the Kos flights but the flight numbers have disappeared, the flights are as follows:

NCL/KGS 1650/2250
KGS/NCL 1350/1550

I would'nt hold your breath that these will operate as the operator have a terrible reputation for cancelling flights.

Jamesair
28th Jan 2010, 22:37
Flybe now have a proper timetable on their website showing all flights for 2010

Ph1l1pncl
29th Jan 2010, 00:30
Has anyone read the press release on the airports website stating about the anniversary year and specifically on the 26th July
“On the anniversary day itself, 26 July, a number of our airline partners will be marking the occasion by operating aircraft rarely seen at Newcastle, which we hope will appeal to aviation enthusiasts and the general public alike.

I am presuming this will be in relation to Emirates? As the other airlines we normally see most of their fleet types.

I suppose it also could be KLM or BA?

If it is Emirates do you think they will send in a 777 for the day like they did with the A380 on Birmingham airports anniversary?

ACARS
29th Jan 2010, 07:21
Let's hope that they can provide suitable viewing areas for these aircraft on the 26th July.

I wonder what is rare about them? Maybe they are actually full of passengers :D

apaul
29th Jan 2010, 08:02
Flybe could send up an Embraer 195 for a rotation from Southampton. The would be rare for Newcastle.

ConstantFlyer
29th Jan 2010, 12:27
I agree with ACARS. No point in doing it unless you get people in to see the planes and put something on for them. Monday 26 July is at the start of the school holidays. NCL could make it a 'family fun day'; there could be some serious seminars/workshops; and the college could have an 'open day'. It's about time we did something to promote aviation and aircraft in their own right: Fascinating history, amazing technology, etc.

ihadcontrol
29th Jan 2010, 16:43
That week in July is around the date of Farnbrough airshow (its always close to my birthday) so perhaps some airlines have aircraft around doing shows anyways.

24th might be the Sunderland airshow too.

sunshine79
29th Jan 2010, 17:39
NCL are sponsoring the airshow this year. I wish NCL would put back the viewing terrace upstairs like it used to be. I used to go up there on a Saturday just to watch a/c take off and land.

Ops Guy
29th Jan 2010, 18:36
I wish NCL would put back the viewing terrace upstairs like it used to be.

And where exactly do you expect the viewing terrace to be?? As there is no area upstairs in the terminal where it can be, as it is all airside and full of shops!!

E195's are not uncommon at Newcastle.

Dont forget the current UK threat level has just risen :E

Expect further news regarding the 75th year anniversary and how it will be celebrated, with the people of the north east. :oh:

Ops Guy :ok:

CentreFix25
29th Jan 2010, 19:49
I wish NCL would put back the viewing terrace upstairs like it used to be. I used to go up there on a Saturday just to watch a/c take off and land.

Me too!

And where exactly do you expect the viewing terrace to be?? As there is no area upstairs in the terminal where it can be, as it is all airside and full of shops!!

Unless you have been able to visit roof level then you couldn't know that the roof level doesn't afford an airside view anymore. I'm quite sure he didn't know.

E195's are not uncommon at Newcastle.
Whilst i have seen 195s at NCL i've not seen any in the past months - when was the last one?

JKKne
30th Jan 2010, 15:09
I noticed there's a flight due in from East Midlands at 22.15 tonight

Is this the Newcastle team flying back in? Seems a bit over the top to fly down to Leicester!

Jamesair
30th Jan 2010, 17:08
It will be, NUFC probably have a season contract with Scot Airways to take them to the nearest airport to wherever they are playing....plus its saves on the cost of an overnight hotel.

KNIEVEL77
1st Feb 2010, 22:55
Just sent an email for dates/prices about the ATC Sim Facility, I will report back when I get some info.

ACARS
2nd Feb 2010, 06:54
Just sent an email for dates/prices about the ATC Sim Facility, I will report back when I get some info.

I emailed them twice in the last 4-5 months. No reply which is really dissapointing.

I have tried to contact them through another email address. I will let you know if I get anything back.

HH6702
4th Feb 2010, 14:43
NCL-GRO is on sale 3x weekly for summer 2010.

HH6702
4th Feb 2010, 15:02
mondays - corfu
Tuesday - Heraklion
Wedesdays - Rhodes and Kos

Wednesday NCL-KGS VIK622/1 16.50/15.50
Wednesday NCL-RHO VIK3033/4 15.20/16.50

So thats 4 weekly flights per week in peak season from VIK can we get some more before the season starts??:ok:

heslop2006
5th Feb 2010, 00:12
I've heard through the grapevine that on 26th July celebration, EK are sending up an A340 ...

HH6702
5th Feb 2010, 17:17
There has been talk of the above being upgrade to a 777.
Forgot that EK had A340's.

Whats the difference between the service onboard the 330 and 340 2/3 class and cargo space offered??

Could the NCL route be upgraded next spring to A340 instead of the 777 in the shorter term and longer term 777??:ok:

sorry to go on about this again !!

GrahamK
5th Feb 2010, 17:37
If it gets upgraded to anything, then it'll probably be onto the new A330-300s that EK have on order.

MUFC_fan
5th Feb 2010, 17:48
I would guess at the A333 also however I would assume they will be 3-class aircraft?

As for the A343, aren't they also 3-class? I know the A345 is...

Can the A343 get in and out with a full load? I thought they need the leg room?

GrahamK
5th Feb 2010, 17:52
An A340 flying to Dubai wouldn't be anywhere near MTOW, if it was going to Hong Kong on the other hand, even the runway at MAN is too short on a hot summers day :ouch:

MUFC_fan
5th Feb 2010, 17:54
even the runway at MAN is too short on a hot summers day

Well it that ain't going to be a problem is it?!

HH6702
5th Feb 2010, 17:55
When will EK start receiving there A333??

Seljuk22
6th Feb 2010, 07:31
...if they order some they'd receive some...

GrahamK
6th Feb 2010, 18:37
Seljuk, have they not ordered some already? :ouch:

Didn't they order some along with the A350s, or am I thinking of someone completely different? :confused:

OltonPete
6th Feb 2010, 20:05
A333

I also thought EK had ordered this variant and they were due fairly soon.

However on the airbus website the delivery/order spreadsheet shows
28 A332'a ordered and delivered plus 29 options. Could there be a
clause to convert these options to 333's?

It has been discussed on other forums but sometimes it is difficult to judge what is fact and what is fiction!

Pete

skyman771
7th Feb 2010, 12:57
There is absolutely no way that EK will put an A343 on the NCL - DXB even be it a one off!!! Although it provides banter on this thread it is also absolute nonsense !
EK are only interested in planned substitions on a marketing basis, not to keep a few "Reggies" excited ! An A343 is never going to be regular equipment on DXB - UK services due to the adverse ecconomics, and as well pointed out then there is also the issue of runway restrictions at NCL whether or not anywher near MTOW. I was unfortunate enough to suffer a late equipment change to an A343 on a recent PER-DXB (presumably near MTOW) & even on night time dparture at a temp c.15 degrees it took an eternity to lift !
N.b if I was in marketing then I wouldn't want to be showing off the interior of one of these monsters, now as to new 772LR, then that is a different option & IF an equipment change IS to be effected as a "One Off" next July then I would not look any further ...;)

skhwoody
8th Feb 2010, 02:44
Quote:
I wish NCL would put back the viewing terrace upstairs like it used to be. I used to go up there on a Saturday just to watch a/c take off and land.
Me too!

Quote:
Unless you have been able to visit roof level then you couldn't know that the roof level doesn't afford an airside view anymore. I'm quite sure he didn't know.

The view is marvellous from the original viewing platform.... grey industrial air con units, if you stand on your tip toes you can just about see the apron.

Seljuk22
8th Feb 2010, 05:36
EK:
Letter of Intent (LoI) for 30 A350XWB + 30 A330-300 (signed on 28th July 2008)
On order: 50 A350-900 + 20 A350-1000 + 50 A380 (8 A380 delivered)

Jamesair
8th Feb 2010, 12:03
The airport did state recently that it was hoping to re-instate some kind of public viewing area

maxtoon
8th Feb 2010, 12:50
The old 'Wings' pub was mentioned as the location of a new public viewing area. This is situated over beside the Samson Aviation building on the south side ...

sunshine79
8th Feb 2010, 12:58
The old Wings pub would be a perfect place as a viewing area. It may attract more visitors like it did in recent years.

luvly jubbly
8th Feb 2010, 14:14
A major problem with Wings, is that the entire airport East of Taxiway Foxtrot can't be seen due to the Southside Hangars!
If someone could make it a Bar/Cafe with viewing again, then I'm sure it could be a success, despite the airport's reluctance to let anyone use it properly in recent years. For example, spotters were deterred from using the car park there when the airport put up the 10 foot wooden fence!

Besides, It's probably cheaper these days to buy a Ryanair ticket and not board the plane. Just sit all day in the warmth by the departure lounge windows..... Hahahahahaha:ugh:

LJ

transwede
8th Feb 2010, 14:59
If the airport are going to make a big deal of the anniversary celebrations, then I am sure there will be the usual family entertainment etc to be found and I would imagine some kind of area to view the 'special aircraft visitors' or what would be the point if joe bloggs cant see them?!

apaul
10th Feb 2010, 17:14
I cannot see many people flying to Edinburgh as the train is frequent and will be quicker and more convenient city centre to city centre. The rail service is much slower to Oxford, but the flight is too late in the morning to suit business users.

Robert1992
10th Feb 2010, 19:34
I must agree apaul. The only way it will work is if people are travelling for a connecting flight. It wont work when the train is cheaper, quicker and stops more central to both cities! NCL - OXF I can see possibly working.

rpmac
11th Feb 2010, 13:37
I would have thought that an Edinburgh Leeds Oxford Leeds Edinburgh route might have worked better as there is a demand for EDI LBA which BMi Regional are hardly addressing, especially some later timings. There is also no LBA BHX route which there is from NCL.

Jamesair
11th Feb 2010, 16:22
I agree with Skyman77.....the Newcastle/Oxford leg is the important sector and any passengers picked up or dropped on the Edinburgh/Newcastle sectors are an added bonus.

This is not without precedent. The early Amsterdam - Newcastle route continued on to Glasgow until it was able to support itself, as was the early Newcastle - Copenhagen route which went via Edinburgh.

HH6702
11th Feb 2010, 18:20
Cant believe that some are arguing about this new route to Oxford/EDI and how ncl/edi sectors arent going to work!!!

I dont think the airport or the airline will be bothered about the NCL/EDI sectors. The route is solely to transport passengers between EDI/NCL and Oxford. EDI is selling well but maybe they dont think that they can fill an extra flight a day from EDI so they are now spliting the flight with NCL.
This is good news for newcastle students who are going to UNI down there.
It takes many hrs by train from NCL to Oxford.

Maybe when the airline gets its second aircraft and if NCL sells well then we may get our own flight and not being split loads with EDI.

I dont think the airline is targeting the business pax. THe route is targeting the students who are using the train at the minute.

If the route sells and they add a second flight one in the morning and one in the evening then yes it changes things as they will now be targeting the students and the business passengers.

As for loads we are talking a J31............. NOT A 149 seater 737!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If only 5-10 people board at NCL i think they will still be making money.

LOOK at T3 and some of there loads on the J41 you dont have to fill it full to make a profit.

Just because myself and some of you wont be using the service im sure that there is plenty of students out there that will be using the new service!

good look to the airline!!

deltahotel9
11th Feb 2010, 19:28
i agree the Oxford link is the important part, unfortunatly the timings don't allow a full day's work but much quicker and cheaper than the train, will almost certainly try it out, beats 4 hours on a cross country train :ok:

KNIEVEL77
11th Feb 2010, 19:54
It is a shame that both the first flight of the day (to Edinburgh) and last flight of the day (from Edinburgh) doesn't call at Newcastle there by allowing a full day in the Capital (although I can probably see their reasoning behind it)!

I'm a regular traveller to Edinburgh from Newcastle and would have used that route regularly as I live minutes from Newcastle Airport!

fl dutchman
11th Feb 2010, 22:18
Note that the LHR from NCL has gone back to 6x daily throughout the summer and next winter.

HH6702
12th Feb 2010, 09:17
Gate maybe as they already handle eastern?

skyman771
12th Feb 2010, 12:27
HH6702
No one is arguing about this route ! merely considering the factors that may or not lead to it's success :ugh: As I have made comment previously then I will only add that students & business pax are at complete opposite ends of the fare spectrum. This student market is likely to focused on various seasonal dates, noting also the substantial holiday periods. As with other university cities Durham being a prime example then the city to an extent closes down outside term time. N.b. there is also the issue as to limitation to the amount of baggage that students would necessarily wish to carry !
It would be a brave person to rely on any annual business model that relies on the substantial support of students.
Furthermore then in noting your comment :-
LOOK at T3 and some of there loads on the J41 you don't have to fill it full to make a profit. then I would simply respond :-
" LOOK at T3 and their fare structure and it is obvious why! "
Not with standing any of this then I wish this service as I would any new route development from the area good luck, it is simply that in this instance I personally can't see that £250+ fares to OXF will appeal to many other than business users.

HH6702
14th Feb 2010, 16:54
Can anybody remember what the loads were like on the above route
A few years ago?

I see that flybe are starting edi to manston in may

What's the chances of flybe trying ncl to manston since once tried by eujet?

GrahamK
14th Feb 2010, 19:17
Loads from NCL to Manston were usually crap.

Delta 8
14th Feb 2010, 21:52
It was more than a few. F100's if I remember

Jamesair
14th Feb 2010, 23:16
Manston....I should have those figures somewhere.....I'll post them when I find them.

Pax figures are:

2005...March 392, April 1341, May 1449, June 849, July 708 end of service

SWBKCB
15th Feb 2010, 05:47
wasn't Manston often subbed out to an Atr-42?

apaul
15th Feb 2010, 06:41
The catchment area served by Manston, but not Gatwick must be fairly small. If Flybe offered Newcastle-Manston it would largely be competing with itself.

HH6702
15th Feb 2010, 17:18
Those loads dont look to bad for a daily flight with an airline that didnt really advertise. has flybe got the better suited aircraft and advertising needed for a route like this?

Just thinking instead of flybe adding a further LGW maybe a daily flight to manston. it would be cheaper landing wise rather that the big charges it will be paying at lgw. Some of the pax travelling to lgw may be heading further east of kent so travelling time will be less from manston?

Also see that flybe are trying bournemouth to manchester from may.
has any airline ever tried this route from NCL?
Could this route work from ncl without damaging the SOU??

What rumours are going around about any new routes from winter timetable?

transwede
15th Feb 2010, 18:22
Rumours surrounding Jet2 going to Servisair, which is all nonsense!

HH6702
15th Feb 2010, 18:55
Jet2 going to Servisair could be true. they wanted to go there in the beginning but wouldnt as they handled easyjet.

Servisair had the mail flights but then it got a little mad as to who had control over the ground equipment i.e steps etc.
so it all went over to swissport.

pity that servisair have got rid of most of there staff now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamesair
15th Feb 2010, 23:05
Another good month for Emirates Dubai route with 13,430 pax carried in Jan 10, an increase of 12% on Jan 09/

Also Brussels, Copenhagen, Alicante, Barcelona, Malaga, Stavanger, Geneva, Murcia, Cork, Faro, Tenerife and Malta all on the plus side Internationally with just Aberdeen up in Domestic flights.....the bad weather and flight reductions took a heavy toll.

HH6072

Newcastle - Bournemouth was once operated by Dan-Air as part of its "bus- stop" route a long time ago.

skyman771
16th Feb 2010, 11:58
HH6072

Newcastle - Bournemouth was once operated by Dan-Air as part of its "bus- stop" route a long time ago.

Presume that this was also around the time that Dan-Air also flew NCL-MAN. Probably more appropriate to re- consider NCL-MAN as opposed to NCL-BOH, but then to some this will unfortunately be taken as heresy:E

Jamesair
16th Feb 2010, 13:17
NCL - MAN appeared in the GILLAIRWAYS timetable just before it went to the wall.

10 DME ARC
16th Feb 2010, 15:35
Gill did NCL-MAN for a lot of years used it a few times, up to four times a day at peak. Then gave it to European with there JS31's with a code share with Gill(??) as Gill were getting rid of the Shed's by then. European went and NCL lost the MAN and yes just before Gill bankers pulled the plugs it appeared back on the sch.
Nice to see a double digit increase on the DXB! Long may it continue......
Manston - always had 20-30's on a FK100 or AT42 BUT fares were very very cheap!

MUFC_fan
16th Feb 2010, 15:42
Great growth on NCL route - does anyone know how the loads in the belly are doing?

Are we expecting the A332 to remain for sometime? Could it be upgraded to it's new big brother which will be joining the fleet shortly or will frequency be increased?:ooh:

10 DME ARC
17th Feb 2010, 05:45
MUFC - Last I heard freight is doing very well on the DXB.:)

MUFC_fan
17th Feb 2010, 07:53
Full of Real Ale eh?:ok:

skyman771
17th Feb 2010, 09:00
MUFC fan Full of Real Ale eh?
And your point is ??? ....Perhaps you should appraise yourself as to the demographics of Real Ale production throughout the UK, there upon you may realise that this was a totally irrelevant and uninformed comment.:8

MUFC_fan
17th Feb 2010, 09:49
skyman771,

Sorry if I am generalising!

I am a fan of the Brown I must say!:ok:

ash666
17th Feb 2010, 11:15
Hadrian & Border, Big Lamp, Mordue, High House Farm Brewery(Matfen), Northumberland..........

Jamesair
17th Feb 2010, 17:20
I see that Emirates have just appointed two new senior staff to the Newcastle cargo operation, I would see this as getting ready for expansion.

HH6702
17th Feb 2010, 17:37
With this news it looks more likely we are going to see 2 daily flights rather than an upgrade to 777 ???

transwede
17th Feb 2010, 18:06
Here we go again, this discussion is a reminder of the old 'NYC' chat!!:}

GrahamK
17th Feb 2010, 21:27
Ye'd have to hope they got over 80% loads on a regular basis before any kind of upgrade took place. A330 is perfect a/c for the route for the next few years.

P.S. Flying from NCL on 2nd April to Tenerife, hows the Jet2 service? :E

And how's the NCL service on that note :E:sad:

sunshine79
18th Feb 2010, 08:01
I don't know about the NCL service, but I like LS. I flew LBA-AMS-LBA a few years ago and liked them. It's a shame the cabin crew liked to say Jet2 way too much, so much that I think they were on commission for the amount of times they can say it from landing to arrving at the gate

ash666
18th Feb 2010, 10:15
concerned to hear last night that Hayes travel agent was telling pax that there was no NCL-Turin flight on a Sunday and that the brochure was wrong. A friend of mine lives 20mins from NCL and they have made him fly from Manchester.

transwede
18th Feb 2010, 10:39
Is it poor marketing on behalf of TUI or the airport or poor service/knowledge from the agent? Either way, TOM direct to TRN every sunday - usually a popular flight as well?!

ash666
18th Feb 2010, 10:55
I would blame the agent if they are saying the brochure is wrong.