PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

MichaelAM
27th Jan 2012, 19:49
In regards to Air Transat, I contacted the airport itself, and they confirmed that the flights will be staying this summer running from May-Oct.

But who knows...

Michael

HH6702
27th Jan 2012, 20:45
Got told it will be operated by TCX a few weeks ago

VentureGo
27th Jan 2012, 22:11
Air Transat feature Newcastle - Toronto on their Website booking tool ( Not as "Schedule" drop down menu "service) but as "Available" in left hand pane on booking screen. - Not sure significance of this - but nearly £600 return seems steep, when booking via Manchester or Glasgow is considerably lesss expensive for same dates! - Newcastle needs direct schedule service to North America (New York) to inject some competition on routes to North America and Canada from Newcastle. Toronto is within easy driving distance from New York, and therefore routes into JFK/EWR, would also encourage operators to Toronto to be competitive to "Win" business! Dave Laws and team need to answer some serious questions on their performance to date, leading the Airport since John Parkin's departure. What have they acheived so far?! - Emirates was won by John Parkin (by the way!!) OK- John Parkin may have had his "personal" interests at heart, but growth was experienced during his time at the helm. Dave Laws has not acheived anything!- infact too much attention to Jet2 seems to have resulted in Ryanair & EasyJet being alienated.

andrewmcharlton
27th Jan 2012, 22:49
VentureGo, do you have some sort of personal agenda against the current management, your comments seem very personally driven.

New York has been done to death on this forum and isn't going to happen anytime soon. As for Toronto is within easy driving distance from New York, and therefore routes into JFK/EWR, would also encourage operators to Toronto to be competitive to "Win" business!It's over 800 km and your comment is not based on any factual foundation.

As for £600 being expensive the cheapest flights on travelocity for May even with KLM were between £450 and £1400 return so seems eminently reasonable for a direct flight?

Might be an idea not to name names where you choose to suggest indirectly that someone was working for their own "interests" too......

HH6702
30th Jan 2012, 19:53
hi

i have to disagree with you VentureGo.

i think the airport are doing the best they can and i dont think they have turned all attention to JET2 lets look at this in detail and tell me if you agree with it. The airport could be worse of in the current climate..

Jet2 -
Jet2 only have UK based aircraft so when they expand NCL has a greater chance. Jet2 have the correct aircraft size for the routes they serve and i think we will see have more to come.

Easyjet -
Easyjet is a european based airline with over 30+ bases around europe.
NCL will have to beat other airports to win the spare aircraft.
NCL used to be 6/7 aircraft base.
Easyjet can make more money from other bases rather than the city breaks that were on offer from NCL hense why they moved the aircraft out.
We may see extra flights in coming years but i think it will be extra flights to spain possible a few to greece?
Think we have a greater chance to see the base becoming 2x A320 and a single A319 before a 4th aircraft returns.

Ryanair -
They seem to stuggle to make routes work.
Oslo, Shannon, Rome etc......
Main problems have been the timing of the flights but also the aircraft size.
JET2 and easyjet have the better size aircraft for NCL.
Unless Ryanair change the aircraft type or come to terms they cant fill the planes and make lots of money from NCL they wont expand.
Ryanair can make more money serving europe.
Unless they have a bloodbath with easyjet and JET2 on routes to spain??

Flybe -
Right size aircraft and hopefully we will see lots from them in next few years.
175's perfect for some of the routes that we would like to see.

Thomas Cook

Charters arent the same. We gained a 4th aircraft last summer. bookings are well down but least we have kept 4 aircraft. yes 2 of the aircraft are smaller but airport have worked well to get cosmos holidays to buy seats from them.

YES COSMOS holidays now offering flights from NCL new for Summer 2012!
EK still operating DAILY flights and should see 777's by end of year.

Ok we havent seen big increases like BRS,EDI but NCL is fine

anybody like to comment?

GAXLN
30th Jan 2012, 21:58
HH6702 - well said. I agree.

10 DME ARC
31st Jan 2012, 13:25
Venturego, I have to disagree with your comments about Newcastle management, yes JP was at the helm when Emirates came but most of the work was done by under managers who are now running the airport. JP's other legacy was Easy/J2/Ryanair plus charters totally flooding the market with unsustainable growth which gave us cheap seats.....for a while!! It also made him look good and achieve growth targets. This caused a blood bath between low cost and charter where no one made money and the choice of destinations dropped in the long run as people for a short period were attracted to spain for 99p plus tax!! So smaller charter/low cost destinations which had ticked along were lost while every one chased the low fares!!
The present airport management are making the best of a difficult time, we don't have the catchment area of BRS or the tourist pull of EDI and we have had governments who have killed domestic low cost with tax's.

Jamesair
31st Jan 2012, 13:56
A point about the North East as a tourist destination. It is worth a look at the Port of Tyne website to check out the cruise ship schedule for 2012....Newcastle is increasingly become a point of call for cruises originating in Germany, Holland and Italy, These are mainly large cruise ships 3,000 pax plus.

Some of the tourists going on tours around the area while the ship has its day in the port will no doubt return (by air) for a more extensive trip which adds to incoming pax which is what is needed.

So someone is doing their bit to help.

I agree with what has been said about the airport Management and their efforts.

Hipennine
31st Jan 2012, 16:49
So far as I can see, JP's main legacy to the airport is a mountain of debt. That leaves the current management no option but steady away to build a solid stable business, delivering cash profit to pay down the debt. Giveaway deals to encourage throughput and excessive growth will not achieve that.

VentureGo
31st Jan 2012, 17:48
Agreed - Good to see the debate open up.

heslop2006
31st Jan 2012, 19:29
Seconding the cruise ship point, I seen quite a fair few of them last year whilst my uni did a whole month of our exams based at customs house South Shields and there were some big ships passing a few times.

Something I'd personally like to see NCL have is more choice of cities in Europe, instead of being comfortable and sticking to the typical 'bucket and spade' routes ...

HH6702
31st Jan 2012, 20:23
Just a guess but im going to make a guess that TCX will return to 3 based aircraft.

Easyjet and jet2 will pick up the work whereever they can.

Looking ahead to this winter 2012/13 what are the changes from this winter?

Ops Guy
31st Jan 2012, 22:02
Amazes me those who comment on NIAL management without the knowledge of what's going on.

HH6702 you forgot to mention the current extension to the terminal, the re-cladding of the pier, border control area and pavement works where there has been significant investment.

Ryanair - not going to happen. :E
Hello 10D :ok:

Sam Chipperfield
6th Feb 2012, 10:03
4 Ryanairs, 1 Titan, 1 Thomas Cook And 1 Thomson Were The Diversions NCL Had This Weekend, 3 Ryanairs From Stansted, 1 From Leeds, Titan Was Stansted, Thomas Cook And Thomson From Birmingham

apaul
6th Feb 2012, 18:08
It's a shame Ryanair and its handling agents didn't deal with the diverted passengers in a decent manner. Ryanair - www.ryanair.com Reviews | Airline Reviews | Review Centre (http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews2293.html)
'The world's favourite airline' also apparently abandoned diverted passengers at Liverpool in the middle of the night. O'Leary will no doubt be proud of his unmatched consumer service.

j636
6th Feb 2012, 18:15
'The world's favourite airline' also apparently abandoned diverted passengers at Liverpool in the middle of the night. O'Leary will no doubt be proud of his unmatched consumer service.

I was on that flight. Scheduled to leave DUB at 21.55 for STN. Flight then cancelled, and rescheduled at 00.10. Departed and near EMA we turn back for DUB and then headed for NCL and the the aircraft had to hold for another while before turning back for LPL. Over 90 mins to get from DUB-LPL!! Not to many happy people is an under statement. Only good thing the crew were based in STN and they had the same as pax. Landed in LPL at 01.45.

P330
8th Feb 2012, 07:35
Does anyone which specific TOM 757 is based at the airport this week (namely today/tomorrow)?

Many thanks,

nclops
8th Feb 2012, 09:05
GBYAT Has been here all week.

P330
8th Feb 2012, 11:11
Thanks NCLOPS. :)

anthbower1234
8th Feb 2012, 21:46
She is very tired flew out on AT last summer and lots of wear and tear! EC-LBC Mint was in a better state!:8

skyman771
9th Feb 2012, 09:08
Hope that the "Reggies" :8 do not need reminding that they have their own forum !
Extracting anything from previous postings & it emphasises that the age of many of the 757's / 733's serving NCL is significant in that some must be approaching 30 years !! Shouldn't think the publicity machine would go into overdrive if & when various machines reach this notable anniversary:uhoh:

Whilst on about anniversary's then it is coming up to 45 Years of the anniversary of the opening of the NCL terminal area as we now know it, i.e. 17 Feb 67. No Boeings present in those days, only Comets & 1-11's , just thinking did these aircraft survive over 30 years in service.... ?

skyman771
9th Feb 2012, 10:00
Hope that the "Reggies" :8 do not need reminding that they have their own forum !
Extracting anything from previous postings & it emphasises that the age of many of the 757's / 733's serving NCL is significant in that some must be approaching 30 years !! Shouldn't think the publicity machine would go into overdrive if & when various machines reach this notable anniversary:uhoh:

Whilst on about anniversary's then it is coming up to 45 Years of the anniversary of the opening of the NCL terminal area as we now know it, i.e. 17 Feb 67. No Boeings present in those days, only Comets & 1-11's, just thinking did these aircraft survive over 30 years in service.... ?

VentureGo
12th Feb 2012, 07:41
(http://www.skyscrapercity.com/member.php?u=64306)
£3.2m Newcastle International Airport extension is on schedule
by Michael Brown, The Journal, February 11th 2012

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/feb2012/7/1/gerry-mcfarlane-operations-director-larry-heslop-and-mp-catherine-mckinnell-74014595.jpg
The extension as it is today, at the half way stage

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nejournal/dec2011/6/5/newcastle-international-airport-refurb-720398804.jpg
Artist's impression of the Airports new three-storey annex as it will look when completed

BUSINESS travellers will soon be able to breeze through airport security checks thanks to a £3.2m extension of Newcastle International Airport. Despite recent wintry weather, the 5,242 sq ft glass-fronted addition, which will double the size of the baggage screening area, is on schedule to open in time for the busy summer season.

Visiting the site at the halfway stage yesterday, Newcastle North MP Catherine McKinnell said that at a time of rising unemployment and reductions in other international transport links with the region it was positive to see such a scheme going ahead.

“The airport opens up the North East as a viable place to do business, giving access to our top-class manufacturing, financial and professional services, and is such a key part of our transport infrastructure,” said Ms McKinnell, and it is vital that it so accessible in light of the disappointing closure of ferry routes to Northern Europe.

As well as the terminal extension, in recent months the airport’s immigration arrivals area has been refurbished and the pier that houses the departure gates has been re-clad to transform the southern exterior of the building. Airport planning and corporate affairs director, Graham Mason said it was important to see investment to improve passengers’ journeys, particularly ahead of the new Jet2.com, Flybe and Cosmos routes opening to Southern Europe, Scandinavia and Florida. “It gives us options to put in more security lanes, with the latest equipment, as the airport grows. The space to load hand luggage into the X-ray machine is much bigger, making life easier and there will be a designated family lane.

- http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1m3ucsuz7 (http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2012/02/11/3-2m-newcastle-international-airport-extension-is-on-schedule-61634-30308341/#ixzz1m3ucsuz7)

Ph1l1pncl
15th Feb 2012, 23:09
I was having a look at the passenger statistics for January and while Newcastle information is not available on the overall airport page, on the international route section on the Newcastle to Dubai route it has that only 3245 people flew the route, down 76% from January 2011 which was 13762. That has to be a mistake right and it should be 13245 surely? As if it's is correct that is a severe drop down.

Jamesair
16th Feb 2012, 09:11
I had a look as well... Paris and Amsterdam have nonsense figures as well. Better to look again when they update the stats next Monday.

GrahamK
18th Feb 2012, 08:06
Selected January provisional stats from the CAA:

Brussels: +23% (busier than EDI!)
Paris CDG: Remained just about even despite larger a/c
Dusseldorf: -4%
Dublin: +3%
Amsterdam: +12%
Dubai: +4%
Gatwick:+1%
Heathrow: +8%

Overall Newcastle was -3.5% compared to last year, and for the rolling year, -0.6% down at 4.3m pax.

SWBKCB
22nd Feb 2012, 16:49
Here we go again!

Newcastle City Council asks for help with New York flights - Today's News - News - JournalLive (http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news//tm_headline=newcastle-city-council-asks-for-help-with-new-york-flights%26method=full%26objectid=30379084%26siteid=61634-name_page.html)

VentureGo
22nd Feb 2012, 16:54
CITY leaders have met with Cabinet ministers to discuss Government help to create a Newcastle to New York transatlantic route which would help bring £1bn to the regional economy.
A senior delegation from Newcastle City Council made the case for regular flights as part of its pitch to be one of a handful of cities handed a raft of new powers in the Chancellor’s March Budget.
Council leader Nick Forbes and his chief executive Barry Rowland set out their plans at the Cabinet Office yesterday before Communities Secretary Eric Pickles, Business Secretary Vince Cable and Cities Minister Greg Clark. Mr Forbes is also looking for new borrowing powers which will allow him to spend tens of millions of pounds transforming Newcastle, with the money repaid through the business rates of those moving into new shopping centres and office blocks.
City leaders want Government help to get around strict state aid rules which prevent financial help being offered to private firms.

Read More Newcastle City Council asks for help with New York flights - Today's News - News - JournalLive (http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2012/02/22/newcastle-city-council-asks-for-help-with-new-york-flights-61634-30379084/#ixzz1n8OF8vhz)

Robert-Ryan
22nd Feb 2012, 16:57
Emirates are to announce tomorrow that from 1st September - the 5th anniversary of their NCL-DXB service, they are upgrading the aircraft to a two-class Boeing 777-300ER.

0811pm
22nd Feb 2012, 17:25
New to this folks.............

777-300er shown on emirates website from NCL-Dubai:)

chris1001
22nd Feb 2012, 19:18
Fantastic news for the region.

NCLairport
22nd Feb 2012, 19:32
starts officially 1st September..... it shows on the Emirates booking engine as 777-300ER from that date onwards! :D

Oldtimer1
23rd Feb 2012, 00:29
Excellent news for Newcastle gaining the 77W!

SWBKCB
23rd Feb 2012, 07:15
EK 777 confirmed

Emirates introduce larger aircraft to North-East service (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/9547615.Emirates_introduce_larger_aircraft_to_North_East_ser vice/)

highwideandugly
23rd Feb 2012, 08:44
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif Wish it was us(DTV)...but my man in the know says September the 1st for 777...to be announced in the next week or so.

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif I refer the honourable gentlemen to my post of 13th January..na na !!

On a more serious note thats my DTV to Dubai trip sorted...sorry KLM and I'm sure this will have a knock on effect on the KLM flights ex DTV ?

good luck to the service!

virginblue
23rd Feb 2012, 11:34
I have only flown from NCL once or twice, but IIRC, the apron around the terminal structure is not exactly designed to cater for very large aircraft - can a B777-300 be easily accommodated at a gate position without blocking anything else?

Montreal-Dubai
23rd Feb 2012, 17:05
I must admit I thought that when it was first mooted about the
EK B777-300ER coming to NCL. However its surprising how easy it
does actually fit on the stand. There is a good aerial photo on the
airports website under the newsroom section/75th anniversary showing
the beast on stand. I know its rather "lankey" but its seems fine. Its also
operated into the airport 3 times in the last 12 months so they have
had a chance to service it quite smoothly. It looks very impressive on take off too!! Effortless is how I describe it!! Good look to them though, I use the service at least twice a year and it will be a nice change. The benefits to the region economically will be much welcomed ;)

apaul
23rd Feb 2012, 17:44
As well as a report on the Emirates upgrade, more senseless hot air about a New York route and government subsidies on today's Look North. Why don't they look around and see what has happened to transatlantic links from UK regional airports over the last 20 years?

Sam Chipperfield
24th Feb 2012, 11:48
Great News On Emirates Upgrading To 777, Also Does Anyone Know If KLM Will Use The Embraers For The Summer Season For The Dinner Time Flight?

Jamesair
24th Feb 2012, 13:28
Sam the KLM flights dep NCL operate as follows for the summer.

0605 EMB190
0910 F70
1115 EMB190
1315 F70
1725 737

fl dutchman
24th Feb 2012, 23:28
Good news for NCL. I see the type used has "lie flat" beds in Business. Much better than the recliners on the Airbus.

The economy cabin is also a big improvement with an improved environment vs the Airbus.

Better entetainment also with the ICE system.

Should attract passengers to NCL or back to NCL who may have travelled to GLA or MAN for the better on board experience over the NCL Airbus

BHX5DME
25th Feb 2012, 18:01
Newcastle to NY to be announced Monday ?

Sam Chipperfield
25th Feb 2012, 18:48
Doubt It, Which Airline Would Do The Flight? Where Did You Get This Source From?

Robert G Mugabe
25th Feb 2012, 19:13
Why on earth would any company want to fly from EGNT to New York.

1. There is no market. The NE is the economic basket case of the UK and would not attract tourists from the US.

2. The NE cannot even advertise itself as a tourism destination within the UK to staycationers.

ConstantFlyer
25th Feb 2012, 19:24
The NE is the economic basket case of the UK

...yet is the only English region with a positive trade balance (mainly thanks to exports from the science, automotive, pharmaceutical and chemical sectors).

The NE cannot even advertise itself as a tourism destination within the UK

...or as a gateway to the Lake District, Hadrian's Wall country or Hogwarts (Alnwick Castle) for our American friends.

NE Tourism
25th Feb 2012, 20:43
Robert G Mugabe - I suspect your as delusional as your namesake

The North East economy is certainly not as you put it "a basket case".

I can also confirm that as far as tourism is concerned the North East is booming. As for hotels both the business and leisure sector are experiencing acute shortages of beds hence the reason why as for as hotel construction is concerned several large hotels from budget to 5 start are set to open in the next 5 years. In the last few years as a city Newcastle has seen a large increase in bed availability however this is still unable to meet current demand.

Whilst I don't think we will see a link to NY anytime soon lets not make inaccurate statements as a reason why such a link is not going to happen

Skipness One Echo
25th Feb 2012, 21:05
Newcastle to NY to be announced Monday ?
The only possible US option would be if the merged CO / UA had decided to add to their regional portfolio a la Continental rather than focus on LHR like United.
American are in banruptcy
Delta have pulled both JFK-EDI and JFK-MAN and are closing LGW in April to focus on LHR and MAN.
US Airways don't hub in New York.

The realistic option would be a P2P charter with Jet2 over the summer / Christmas. Sounds like a fantasy though.

HH6702
25th Feb 2012, 21:16
The news we have all been waiting for yeah!!!!

Was going to say is this not going to be the JET2 charters we have yearly??

I would be nice to see JET2 have a much bigger programme this winter say for 6 weeks 2x weekly to NYC then the airport could take the load figures to a US based airline on the hope to getting the route at least 5x weekly or summer only maybe??

however he maybe right. lets look at some of the facts....

It was stated in the media that the airport had first started talking to EK 7 years ago that 2 years before we go the dubai route,

The airport have been talking to many of the US based airlines for longer and american even put the flights on sale.
However it was stated that the airport have asked for funding to get the new york link up and running and they say it could bring in upto 1 billion for the north east.

COULD this money have been already given and the press have just got hold of the story hence the annoucement this coming monday??

i hope it is UA/CO but think it will be our yearly winter flights with JET2 but hoping for more flights this winter

ncleflights
25th Feb 2012, 22:37
If any NY service is announced it would only by the LS annual shopping trips but based on previous years normally not released this early.

If and its a big if a NCL - NY route is announced I would imagine this would be for a Summer start and aren't we a bit late for this, bearing in mind its already nearly March. Sales should be up and running now. No airline is going to start a regular scheduled service to NY with a Winter start up date.

However I know that CO have been monitoring EK performances and yields from NCL for a while now.

If this had been two weeks ago then this rumour may have had some credibility as for one day on the CO route map NCL kept appearing and then disapearing as a direct route from Newark. However when a manager at the airport was asked this was dismissed out of hand.

I think its safe to say no such announcement on Monday though.

Jamesair
25th Feb 2012, 22:40
You never know, roll on Monday.

Ages ago there was some talk of Emirates extending their flight to New York and talk of Continental or maybe Jet2 is going to extend their Xmas only flights or realistically, nothing will be announced.

We shall live in hope:ok:

HH6702
26th Feb 2012, 09:39
Could be a few people with egg on their face if this becomes true on Monday.

We all know its a case of WHEN THE ROUTE STARTS......

i agree march start is too early but i could see the route starting 1st june or july.....

a few other questions
1, Why would BHX5DME post on the NCL group if not true?

BHX have CO for there NY so they maybe in the know if he works at the airport down there??

2, Why did NCL show on the CO website a few weeks ago then disappear again once the airport management found out?

3, A team from NCL went to the US to speak to an airline back in October and they stated they were sure to be able to get a un named airline to start the route?

4, Delta is to announce new european routes on Monday....

The north east needs this route.

EI-A330-300
26th Feb 2012, 12:56
2, Why did NCL show on the CO website a few weeks ago then disappear again once the airport management found (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=7049837#) out?

CO offer connections to EWR via LHR which is why its on the CO website. Its still there.

EI-BUD
26th Feb 2012, 13:01
Once upon a time when Gill Air were the only operator on NCL DUB and they folded, Aer Arann announced they would fly the route x 3 daily, until Ryanair followed their plans and Aer Arann retreated.

Will we see Aer Arann in the guise of Aer Lingus Regional operate Dublin - Newcastle x3 daily with ATR42 and offer a range of options between NE England and USA via Dublin...?

Would like to think so...

SWBKCB
26th Feb 2012, 15:34
Same thought crossed my mind - at one stage EI operated NCL-DUB with Fk.50's and promoted the transatlantic connecting flights - think a 330 operated at least one flight as a promotional effort for travel agents etc

Jamesair
26th Feb 2012, 15:45
Maybe even a NCL - DUB - JFK...is that possible? with US Immigration handled in Ireland, that could be popular.

CabinCrewe
26th Feb 2012, 16:28
...and who, pray-tell, is going to operate that particular gem...?

Jamesair
26th Feb 2012, 16:45
"Aer Lingus" it's just a fantasy :E After they merge with Flybe:confused:

skyman771
26th Feb 2012, 16:47
NCL - NYC

Well once again a myriad of posters, all looking to grab some snippet of a "dangled thread" every :mad: time this is mentioned.

:yuk:YAWN:yuk:

Jamesair
26th Feb 2012, 16:51
Skyman.....a bit of speculation brightens up a Sunday...who knows we might all be shocked by the unlikely announcement tomorrow.

Ops Guy
26th Feb 2012, 19:10
New York direct ................ doubt it.

Aer Lingus - likely.

Great news on the 777 and yes the stand can take a 777.

We'll see tomorrow though :ok:

ncleflights
26th Feb 2012, 19:48
EI-A330-300 - yes your right NCL does show on the CO route map as a connecting flight however it actually did show as a direct route and not a connecting one on the route map a couple of weeks ago. Infact it has done at various times this afternoon.

Whilst I doubt very much an announcement of any sort of direct route is due tomorrow I agree with Jamesair, this whole speculation has brightened up my weekend if nothing else.

fl dutchman
26th Feb 2012, 20:07
How about EWR NCL BHX NCL EWR or EWR BHX NCL EWR or something similar 3 times weekly.

JKKne
27th Feb 2012, 09:29
*If* anything happens I'd assume it would be announced to a favourable US time, so probably when Wall Street opens?

CentreFix25
27th Feb 2012, 09:36
Can't stand the excitement, announcement must be any time now! :ugh:

Most of the people who continue to flog this subject to death can be found Monday to Sunday standing on a fence at the end of 25.

Get real.

ncleflights
27th Feb 2012, 12:06
centrefix25 - yes your post may well be true up to a point. The problem is that unlike many other regional airports NCL Management do, at every conceivable opportunity, whether it be in the Newspapers, on the Radio and TV bang on about how important it is to secure a direct scheduled New York Route. Indeed last year I think I lost count at how many times it was mentioned in interviews by Mr Mason.

I have said and continue to do so, that this whole fixation with New York has to a certain degree and I must stress in my opinion resulted in senior managers missing out on possibly securing other important, while admittedly with less prestige, routes. Whilst New York would be important to NE businesses other routes which also would be important to the NE could possibly be achieved. Germany is the true economic and political power house of Europe now, however as a region we are very poorly served with routes to that particular country, Frankfurt springs immediately to mind.

I remember when I started working the the aviation sector in the 1980s my manager at the time said that the sign you had made it as a regional airport was when you got a scheduled route to New York. Newcastle still seems to be in this 80s mentality and unfortunately the world has moved on while the USA is important and still the worlds largest economy it is not as important as it once was, a global shift has been to the East in the last few years which is why the Emirates route with it onwards connections does well.

To sum up as long as the airport management, the local media and now politicians go on an on about how important a New York route is to the region then the topic will continue to be raise it heard on this thread.

Sorry to bang on

Call Established
27th Feb 2012, 14:15
There is some kind of press event at BHX today with Eastern, don't quote me on this but I am sure New York was mentioned and they were feeding into NCL or similar.................... probably totally wrong though!

sean377
27th Feb 2012, 16:11
So when is this supposed press conference?

Call Established
27th Feb 2012, 16:30
It was for 1200 today......but was actually cancelled in the end. It was based around Eastern and NCL route but will be rescheduled I am told!

CentreFix25
27th Feb 2012, 17:10
Could be a few people with egg on their face

Just like the DTV thread - always good for a laugh:ok:

skyman771
27th Feb 2012, 17:12
Eastern NCL - BHX certainly not exciting, done it enough times, & if existing fares had any relevance, then total cost to :mad: would be ridiculous. Might as well drive to MAN , or even EDI if "3:3" in a 757 turns you on (unless you really want to splash out on business) !!:ugh:
No wonder some one got a reality check & canx the press conference:E
Even Aer Lingus in the good old days didn't get excited on a connecting flight & they actually had the significant advance customs clearance advantage, indeed they also actually flew a sector in the right direction;)

fa2fi
27th Feb 2012, 18:20
I laid the NY idea to rest years ago. Not going to happen. Incidentally I did a 8.5 hour flight non stop SFB-GLA in seat A. Was no different to an A seat on TCX, CO etc.And many times better than Americans E seat on the 777. Don't see what's wrong with it. BA did tatl on the 75 for years. Don't see the benefit of twin aisles. People say its easier to move round but not the case in my experiences. If one aisle is blocked by a service cart the chances are the other aisle is blocked by same service.

fl dutchman
27th Feb 2012, 19:28
Oh well.

Maybe tommorrow, or the day after, or the day after that or two days after that.

Dont think it will happen in my lifetime. ( If it does then I will do something in Fenwicks window as they used to say on Tyneside)

Keep on using good old KL, BA, AF, to the US via AMS, CDG, LHR, etc, its not that bad infact the service and connectiond are very good.

There was once a weekly direct service to New York from NCL I think in the Sixties or seventies (Jetsave charter ). Unlikely to be repeated these days.

ncleflights, completely agree with your last post.

nigel osborne
27th Feb 2012, 19:47
Think Ive heard everything now... Eastern flying from BHX to NCL to fed a New York flight why would that happen,when the passengers can just fly from BHX:O:}

Nigel

BHX5DME
27th Feb 2012, 19:50
Maybe I got it the wrong way around, Eastern offering NCL pax EWR via BHX !

Jamesair
27th Feb 2012, 20:35
Oh well, at least it livened up the thread yesterday...what we need is an FRA route announcement.

HH6702
28th Feb 2012, 01:49
ncleflights you say the airport is too wrapped up in trying to get new york service and has missed other ones like Frankfurt??

The airport has stated it hopes to get a service to FRA with LH.
Its down to getting the right slots for the service and i guess we will get it in the next 12 months.....??

Also the current management have got the following over last few months

Jet2 loads of new routes and 6 based aircraft in total
EK now a 777 daily

I also see that Thomson will be offering Naples in march/april 2013 which im sure hasnt been done before....

so i wouldnt say that the airport has missed other opportunties.......
im sure the airport will be talking to a range of new airlines and current airlines about a list of new routes and im sure we will be surprised at some of the new routes we get in the next few months....

Did anyone see Flybe coming with Bergen??

ncleflights
28th Feb 2012, 07:33
HH6702 - Whilst you have me on this subject of Frankfurt when slots became available recently we did miss out on Frankfurt, when the Aberdeen - Frankfurt route was announced. I fail to see how a business case could not have been made that NCL would not have achieved better loads/yields than Aberdeen for the airline.

Jet2 yes great news and well done to the airport management for getting the extra based units

On the subject of EK upgrade yes its truly great news but lets remember it was under the regime of Mr Parkin that the Airport secured EK in the first place. I doubt the current airport management would have been able to achieve this route because of this ridiculous New York pre-occupation.

SWBKCB
28th Feb 2012, 07:43
I fail to see how a business case could not have been made that NCL would not have achieved better loads/yields than Aberdeen for the airline.

ABZ isn't really a valid comparison - ABZ has a route to FRA for the same reason it has flights to Baku and NCL doesn't...

Somewhere like BRS is a fairer comparison and they don't have a FRA route either.

skyman771
28th Feb 2012, 09:16
Somewhere like BRS is a fairer comparison and they don't have a FRA route either.
Perhaps more relevant and specific to the point is that BRS no longer has CO !
which if nothing else reflects current trends. In reality nothing is achieved in making such comparisons :ugh:

10 DME ARC
28th Feb 2012, 12:44
ncleflights - The NYC route is not the be all and end all to the airport management team, actually this is a route that the NE needs as the US is the biggest trading partner of NE England. It is not an unrealistic aspiration I have heard that it creates the biggest interest of any unserved route amongst the business and leisure traveling public in the North East! With lots of people having to use other airports, e.g. Manchester and Heathrow, when they would prefer a transatlantic flight direct from their local airport. **If Emirates works from NCL then there is no reason why NYC can’t as well!

As for FRA, this again is a route which should work and who is to say the airport are not working on this one too! One problem would be the perfect airline for the route is also the one who would loose the most from it, LH and DUS! I am sure the airport whilst wanting new routes is balancing the needs of other airport partner airlines Emirates/KLM/AF/BA. Running a successful regional airport is a balancing act!

*As for Mr Parkin I know from my time at the airport and a few inside sources, that he may have made the announcement, shortly before he was suspended! but it’s the people who are still at the airport who initiated the analysis, looking at the feasibility and who then delivered Emirates at the end of the day. :)

Piltdown Man
28th Feb 2012, 13:44
The North East economy is certainly not as you put it "a basket case".

Any economy made up by burger eating, mouth-breathing, tracky-suit wearing, facebook using, illiterate, social housing dwelling half-wits is a basket case. Only when the region becomes self-supporting (ie. a net contributor to the exchequer) will it be anything else. To do that will take two generations of 'hard love', something which they won't get. Until then, it will be anywhere cheap with sunshine.

PM

Skipness One Echo
28th Feb 2012, 14:10
Saying there is no reason a route should work is often because you haven't looked far enough. GLA has both EWR and PHL as well as DXB but still no FRA and CDG is EZY and not AF, whereas EDI has multiple dailies to both with LH and AF.

GAXLN
28th Feb 2012, 15:59
Piltdown man,

That'll be the same people who are using the Emirates service and have made it a success then? Plenty of burgers in America so we should be alright with New York. There's a great danger in stereotyping regions particularly using words such as those you have used as I doubt whether there's any region outside the South East that is a net contributor to the Exchequer given the budget defecit. However, can someone then rationalise why £2000 per head is spent on transport in London and c£5 per head here in the North East? This is the only UK region which exports more than it imports in respect of physical goods. The country needs an export led recovery and that will benefit the North East. If we don't get an export led recovery then we are likely to all be in a big mess and living in caves again. Are you leading the way?

ncleflights
28th Feb 2012, 17:30
10 DME ARC - You say that the NYC route is not the be all and end all to airport management, however the evidence clearly states that it is. As I have already posted at every opportunity the airport management at press releases and interviews devote a huge amount of time to stating how important this route is. Back in October Mr Mason stated in public that securing the NYC route was the number one priority! securing no other new route is ever given a mention. If that is not evidence enough I dont know what is.

I do fully agree with you though that a route to NY is important to the region and the with the right airline would certainly work all the data gathered and stats we have to hand prove this . However until the economy picks up I think a route announcement is unlikely. Personally I think that AA was the wrong airline for the route when it was announced back in 2005 perhaps if we had waited the extra year when CO had available aircraft to start up on the route we would not be having this debate now as we would be having a successful scheduled service to NY, but hindsight is great I suppose.

With regard to Mr Parkin and the emirates route I also now from my time at the airport who was key in securing this route so we will have to agree to disagree on this one I am afraid.

GAXLN - Piltdown is obviously a complete idiot and very ignorant and has not got a clue what he is talking about the best thing is to ignore him his post really does not warrant a reply

Sam Chipperfield
28th Feb 2012, 18:37
New York Wont Happen Here, Its About Time You Get Realistic, Maybe Frankfurt From Lufthansa Or Flybe, Or Even Getting The Stansted Flight Back With Jet2, Newcastle Is Not Popular For New York Over 5-7 Days A Week

CentreFix25
28th Feb 2012, 19:36
NY is important to the region and the with the right airline would certainly work all the data gathered and stats we have to hand prove this

I've been of the opinion that this route won't work, and the reasons it is not operated today is because the airlines share that opinion.

I've obviously missed the stats and data gathered that say otherwise.

Can you point me in the direction of these stats, or give me the gist of it and the source and I might change my thinking. Thanks!

ConstantFlyer
28th Feb 2012, 19:46
I understand that Piltdown Man was famous for being a paleontological hoax a hundred years ago. His current incarnation has clearly been spending time in the wrong parts of town on his occasional layovers in Newcastle. Should get out and about more.

As for New York, I doubt it's needed. At a business conference in Newcastle last week run by the Local Entreprise Partnership, the focus was very much on developing international business and trade links to Europe. That the key speaker was the German Ambassador was no coincidence.

Robert G Mugabe
29th Feb 2012, 16:51
Piltdown man does have a point though. Without causing to much upset I hope:

1. Locals from the North East are some of the most insular people I have ever met. Some have never even visited Hadrians wall. How can you expect locals to advertise the region when they don't even know it themselves.

2. Ask any business person who has had to deal with local businesses and local government and they will say that most locals they have worked with are very thin skinned and cannot accept constructive criticism.

3. They are nepotistic to the extent a local will be employed over an outsider even if their skill set is not as good.

But what do you expect from a region that has over 50 percent of people working for the state.

jensdad
29th Feb 2012, 22:13
Piltdown and Mugabe should maybe start a thread on Jetblast entitled 'Lets slag off the North-East' and leave this thread to those who want to talk about Newcastle Airport.

andrewmcharlton
29th Feb 2012, 22:39
Mugabe, there is an ideal location for you.

Zimbabwe.

Your comments demonstrate more of your character than the stereotypes of those you care to try and portray, belittle and insult apart from showing your spectacularly ignorant and anecdotally foolish ideas you would lead anyone reading them to question your awareness of the cultural and diverse make up of this great island and this fine region.

You're not worth the airtime but I've decided to make an exception, I suspect on behalf of the majority.

I'm not a fan of personal insults or accusatory language but your remarks are poor at best. The thread is for discussing business at EGNT not slagging off a region.

Robert G Mugabe
1st Mar 2012, 07:48
With regard to business at EGNT. The airport is a gateway into the region. So I would suggest it must "cut its coat according to the cloth". (Prov.*to plan one's aims and activities in line with one's resources and circumstances)

The NE is much worse than most other regions for...

1. Those in receipt of out of work payments.
2. Children having underage pregnancies.
3. Young adults not in education employment or training.
4. Working age adults wanting paid work , with low pay or those with limiting or long standing illness or disability.
5. Older people with limiting or long standing illness or disability.
6. Communities in fuel poverty.

That is from the poverty.org.uk website.

From the BBC

Middlesbrough has the highest rate of unemployment of any local authority in the UK at 14.3%. The region also has the lowest employment rate in the country - 65.9% - with the rate falling significantly in the past year. The North East also has the highest economic inactivity rate with one in four people not contributing to the economy.

Finally to correct my earlier post ,from the FT.

This reflects the North East’s above-average dependency both on direct public sector employment – accounting for one quarter of its jobs, according to official data – and also on public spending which supports swaths of voluntary, creative sector and private sector employment.

In summary tell me how a weekly New York service is viable.

Andrewmcharlton and jensdad dont be thin skinned old boys!

heslop2006
1st Mar 2012, 20:40
Granted we might be a little like that in the North East, but there are certainly a lot more local North-East people at my university than there are "external" counties ...

Now, back to the airport shall we?

anthbower1234
1st Mar 2012, 22:47
Have there been any confirmed plans as to how many TCX will base over summer 2012 are we a 3 full base with A320 W pattens or 4 full base?

Jamesair
1st Mar 2012, 22:53
Definately a 4 a/c base

nigel osborne
2nd Mar 2012, 07:47
Just had the latest March 2012 addition brochure through my door from Canadian Affair.

There is no mention of flights from Newcastle or Exeter in it to Toronto, so they are not selling it now I assume ? :confused:

Nigel

monarchnew
2nd Mar 2012, 08:05
From what I've heard TCX are to base 2x 757 both Thomas Cook aircraft and 2 x A320, 1 TCX and 1 from a 3rd party. Same setup as last year with being crewed in the cabin by TCX crew.

CentreFix25
2nd Mar 2012, 09:42
Is your user name a clue as to where the other A320 is coming from? If not who does that leave Czech Holidays:rolleyes:

monarchnew
2nd Mar 2012, 11:34
Haha no certainly not. Wish I hadn't chosen that name now, I've worked for TCX for years then this year decided I'd take voluntary redundancy and was offered a job with Monarch, but I've decided to stay with TCX for the time being!

No idea who the A320 would come from? Small Planet Airlines?? Just a guess obviously ;)

HH6702
6th Mar 2012, 17:21
The airport has just sent out twitter message around 4pm
Saying that to book your flights this may ncl-YYZ discount given ends soon.

Flights must still be going ahead

GayFriendly
6th Mar 2012, 20:30
Yes they are operating, all bookable on the TS website, weekly flights from YYZ on Tues to NCL via EXT, outbound from NCL on Weds non stop to YYZ. Timetable says A310, booking machine says A330, operated by Air Transat, haven't checked actual start end dates but assume May-Sept?

Jamesair
7th Mar 2012, 15:50
Meanwhile...back to New York.

Jet 2 have announced the New York shopping trips for winter 2012....NCL will have two, taking place on 29th November and 6th December.

Jamesair
9th Mar 2012, 16:19
I note that 3 new airlines appear in issue 9 of the summer charter timetable.

Mistral Air
Fly Torair
Small Planet

skyman771
11th Mar 2012, 19:14
Interesting article I picked up on re Southend. They must have a team in place there that actually have a clue as to identifying their market & getting things done, as oposed to those at NCL who continue "Daydream" as to achieving a direct NYC service to the extent of all else.
The reality is that they have for over 15 years missed the way forward that has to be fair been noted on this thread on a regular basis :-
New Ireland & USA Gateway Opens with Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Aer Arann Route Launch | Latest News | LSA - Community Relations & News | London Southend Airport (http://www.southendairport.com/news/latest-news/new-ireland-amp-usa-gateway-opens-with-aer-lingus-regional-operated-by-aer-arann-route-launch/)
One really does have to wonder who at NCL actually thought they would see a CO or an AA emblem on looking out of their "penthouse suite" windows:E
!

North West
11th Mar 2012, 19:55
They must have a team in place there that actually have a clue as to identifying their market & getting things done, as oposed to thosehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/nerd.gif at NCL who continue "Daydream" as to achieving a direct NYC service to the extent of all else.

Yet again another PPruner who believes that reading a few press releases somehow qualifies them as an expert insider in the goings on at airport boardrooms.

HH6702
12th Mar 2012, 08:33
Can't believe someone is comparing Southend management team to ncl....!!!

Wow southend gets aer lingus to Dublin 3x daily on a 50 seater plane wow approx 150 seats a day. We have had a Dublin service for years now

NCL already has Dublin 2x daily 189 seater more seats!!!!

I'm sure our management team are really worried about what is happening at Southend!!!! I'm sure heads will roll over this... NOT

Get real......

VentureGo
12th Mar 2012, 09:10
Agreed - Newcastle have good link with Ryanair on 2x Daily service. However I wonder if point being made by Southend comparison is an Aer Lingus service, ticketing through to New York with pre-clearance of US Border controls in Dublin (or Shannon) would be a great advantage & may even be preferred to waiting "for ever & a day" for a direct Newcastle/NYC route with long queues at New York immigaration and customs clearance. Aer Lingus with pre-clearance means arriving in US in the same way as a domestic passenger.

skyman771
12th Mar 2012, 13:58
HH6702 Get real......
Unsure where you are coming from, as you clearly have totally missed the point which is that Southend have achieved route timing on their DUB schedules that actually fit in with timings on transatlatic connections and are able to codeshare and are MARKETING these as such.
This is something that has never been achieved at NCL even though as you quite correctly state We have had a Dublin service for years now
as to whether DUB has a 100 or 1,000 seats daily is also of NO RELEVANCE, as has little else in your outburst !

Travel Agent
12th Mar 2012, 16:16
When I worked at Lunn Poly in the early 90's we used to sell shed loads of EI tickets from NCL all over the States and Canada, I am sure it would work again if the timings were right and connections not too bad....

Jamesair
12th Mar 2012, 16:34
Aer Lingus have had several attempts at offering a service between NCL and Dublin, the last attempt made no attempt at a USA/Canada connection vis-a-vis timings. All attempts have usually been swamped by Ryanair and led to a withdrawal of service.

Travel Agent
12th Mar 2012, 16:45
That was my point needs the right timings but it would also need a good marketing push behind it too, both to the public and the trade.

skyman771
12th Mar 2012, 16:59
the last attempt made no attempt at a USA/Canada connection vis-a-vis timings
My point precisely, it is only the Irish who can offer a connection that was timed to depart several hours before the connecting flight arrived. ;)
Then they wonder why NCL-DUB-NCL was not as successful as they would wish:sad:

If as NCL claim then there is / was a market for NCL - NYC then there was a market NCL-DUB-NYC...... Yes ???:suspect:

EI-A330-300
12th Mar 2012, 17:05
My point precisely, it is only the Irish who can offer a connection that was timed to depart several hours before the connecting flight arrived. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif
Then they wonder why NCL-DUB-NCL was not as successful as they would wishhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

Aer Lingus had there A320 on the route and they were up aginst Ryanair, an ATR 42 or 72 would work. BRS is an example of this.

EI didn't look connecting passengers at DUB from the UK until EI regional started in March 2010.

SWBKCB
12th Mar 2012, 17:39
EI didn't look connecting passengers at DUB from the UK until EI regional started in March 2010.

No - as has been discussed previously on this thread, EI did promote their US routes from NCL (and presumably other UK regional airports) back in the days when they were operating Fk.50's. I presume RYR's arrival on the Dublin route forced them out and I would imagine the same the presence of RYR would stop them trying again.

HH6702
12th Mar 2012, 22:21
Could Aer lingus really make any money on offering flights from NCL-DUB then connecting onto the NEW YORK route??
Can they compete with the likes of KLM/AF on price and times etc?

They would have to have a ATR leaving NCL early morning and then another flight at lunchtime for passengers arriving back...

I dont think we can compare Aer Lingus and Ryanair on the NCL route as they were targeting different markets...

Im sure maybe Aer Lingus may look back into NCL on day...

Southend would have been picked over NCL as there is no competitor on the route NCL is different.

Remember before the TAX came in and Ryanair dropped back to 1x daily the plan was to go to 3x daily NCL-DUB

North West
12th Mar 2012, 22:54
My point precisely, it is only the Irish who can offer a connection that was timed to depart several hours before the connecting flight arrived. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif
Then they wonder why NCL-DUB-NCL was not as successful as they would wishhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

If as NCL claim then there is / was a market for NCL - NYC then there was a market NCL-DUB-NYC...... Yes ???http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cwm13.gif

No. NCL claim there is a market for services OVER a NYC hub, to points into the US, Canada and the Carribean. There will be some point to point traffic into NYC, but its just like the way NCL - DXB isn't really about a market between NCL and DXB.

Aer Lingus are not a viable option seeing as NCL-DUB-NYC-XXX puts a 2 stop option - with limited connectivity - into a market already served well by BA with a NCL-LHR-XXX option - at least for the major US destinations.

Jamesair
14th Mar 2012, 23:28
Some fairly good increases for February.

Brussels 3533 +8%
Dusseldorf 3097 +5%
Cork 1532 +19%
Dublin 12,564 +18%
Amsterdam 19,870 +13%
Stavanger 1948 +72%

Gatwick 6126 +2%
Heathrow 39,067 +11%
BFS City 2841 +4%
BFS INT 15,867 +2%
Cardiff 1201 +24%
Southampton 6438 +4%

Dubai 13,239 - 1%

JKKne
15th Mar 2012, 00:31
Re - Mistral Air - Is that the same Italian airline the Holy See use?

Love smallplanet livery. Wonderful looking aircraft

HH6702
23rd Mar 2012, 18:32
Just been looking through the flights and have noticed that NCL-CDG is no longer on sale after october 2012.

Paris flights are on sale for other airports.

Lets hope this doesnt mean the futher reduction of flights for next winter and down to just 2 aircraft??

Hopefully the A320 will arrive this weekend?

Anybody heard any news on new routes etc been quiet lately

CentreFix25
23rd Mar 2012, 19:03
I don't think EZY has a great deal of commitment to NCL. Replacing a 19 with a 20 isn't a massive business decision, although the media hype they created would lead Joe public to believe otherwise - just a PR/selling seats tactic.

They'll stick to their bigger money making routes to the Med, If they did Seasonal bases I bet we'd be one.

Sam Chipperfield
23rd Mar 2012, 19:05
Easyjet A320 coming starts in May, could that mean maybe 4 a Day from Air France/Cityjet? there has been alot of Military movements

fa2fi
23rd Mar 2012, 21:07
Bit concerning about CDG. But I've not heard anything official. People do want more routes, but if the flights are full and we're making money then there is no need to add routes if it's possible to get good ROI on the current routes and would save the costs involved in opening a new route. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Rumours of new routes were around when the 320 was announced but it's became clearer now that it's just there to increase capacity.

Jamesair
25th Mar 2012, 00:07
PARIS (CDG) is mentioned in the airport press release about Easyjet winter timetable as one of the routes to be operated.

cjags
25th Mar 2012, 12:58
EZY 320 will arrive for flights beginning 27th April

Sam Chipperfield
25th Mar 2012, 17:11
Was A Easyjet A319 Diverted In Today, G-EZFX From Tallin Was Scheduled To Go To Stansted, Flight Radar 24 Reports Emergency

KNIEVEL77
25th Mar 2012, 17:39
Sam,

I believe there was a medical emergency today on board an arriving EZY flight, this may have been the divert.

K77.

skyman771
25th Mar 2012, 20:05
CentreFix25I don't think EZY has a great deal of commitment to NCL.
For clarity I understand that the EZY crew at NCL have received no indication that EZY's present operation's out of NCL are to change significantly, now or in the near future.
Is your assessment based on anything other than your personal opinion?

CentreFix25
26th Mar 2012, 07:00
I think you should take in the entire context of the post and not just one line.

have received no indication that EZY's present operation's out of NCL are to change significantly

The only person that has mentioned change is you, I spoke about commitment.

SWBKCB
26th Mar 2012, 07:10
Isn't the whole concept of an airline being 'committed' to an airport a bit nonsensical?

They might be committed today and not committed tomorrow depending on how markets and circumstances here and elsewhere change. For what it's worth, I agree with Skyman771, I'm not hearing about any significant changes (from within EZY, but not at NCL).

CentreFix25
26th Mar 2012, 07:17
Only person talking about 'Change' is Skyman.

Isn't the whole concept of an airline being 'committed' to an airport a bit nonsensical?

I think BA are committed to LHR.

Ashling
26th Mar 2012, 11:03
easyJet carry more passengers out of Ncl than any other airline. Ncl is performing well for them at the moment and they are increasing capacity with the introduction of the 320. Load factors are high, the aircraft are modern, reliable and easyJet are achieving record breaking OTP and customer satisfaction.

easyJet reduced from 7 to 3 aircraft over a 2 year period because the base was underperforming in comparison to the rest of the network. Their strategy has worked and the base is now performing comepitively. That is why they have looked to increase capacity. If it continues to do well I am sure they will look at whether the optimum aircraft level is higher than 3. Its a positive trend but it will not happen overnight and those who expect it to are naive.

skyman771
26th Mar 2012, 18:32
Well said & thank you Ashling, & Centrefix then I note your tactic of attack being the best form of defence!

CentreFix25
26th Mar 2012, 19:04
easyJet carry more passengers out of Ncl than any other airline

I think they did out of East Midlands at one point too.

HH6702
26th Mar 2012, 19:44
Ashling - interesting post....

Easyjet was under performing on 7 based aircraft.?
is that by profit, ticket sales or something else?

could you explain this in greater detail?

Easyjet reducing down to 3 aircraft has let JET2 to grow and now JET2 have 5 based aircraft and a greater choice of routes....
Surely JET2 are making money on most of these routes?

Easyjet have lost a lot of ground at NCL to other carriers mainly JET2 trying to get this back will be very hard.

Im going to Palma in sept and JET2 was more than Easyjet so ive booked with easyjet.

Take PMI are a route easyjet went double daily then reduced this to daily. JET2 are offering this route daily and sometimes on the 757 so more seats are on offer between the 2 carriers rather than Easyjet just having the route like they used to.

does anybody have the fares that both airlines offered say 3 years ago to the current time is there much difference between the 2 carriers?

Jamesair
26th Mar 2012, 22:16
JET 2 will actually have 6 based a/c this summer.

The last new route Easyjet introduced to NCL was Malta which seems to be a success. I think the best way forward, if they look to grow at NCL will be by using more A320 a/c and seeking out new routes (not served by other carriers).

Each additional a/c introduced needs three rotations a day to make it worthwhile.

HH6702
26th Mar 2012, 22:26
So between them both there will be 9 based aircraft...

Im sure at the start of the easyjet base it was stated that the 10 year plan was to have 10 aircraft based by year 10.

Did easyjet just grow too quickly from NCL and it then became unprofitable?

Jet2..
Anybody know the spilt of there operation from NCL between flight only and jet2 holidays??
Also jet2 offer seats on there aircraft on behalf of other tour operators something that i think easyjet never did from NCL?

Maybe if they did we may still have had a 5 or 6 based aircraft from Easyjet

cjags
26th Mar 2012, 23:04
I think it's important to remember that Jet2 isn't really on a comparable scale to EZY on a larger european basis. Yes the two of them compete in the regionals, but EZYs strategy has changed since the base opened. They used to insist on flying every route, every day - even if the aircraft went nearly empty. The number of based ac rightly reflects the demand and the load factors appear to be outstanding compared to a few years ago.

Jamesair
27th Mar 2012, 10:07
Very good point about EZY being a year round operation to a steady number of destinations compared to the seasonal nature of Jet 2.

Let's not forget that Flybe are also serving NCL pretty well on a year round basis, even giving us two new routes this summer.

GrahamK
27th Mar 2012, 11:44
Quick question about the AF/CityJet route, is this operated with a NCL based crew, or a crew from EDI/CDG?

HH6702
2nd Apr 2012, 19:36
It has been stated in the trade press that easyjet have released all there flights planned for winter 2012/2013

Still NO - NCL-CDG

looks like this route has been dropped now??

anybody worked out if there is any gaps in the planned 3 based programme before i start to do one?

nclops
2nd Apr 2012, 21:20
Grahamk

It's normally CDG or DUB crew I think. Definetly not a NCL crew base though.

VentureGo
4th Apr 2012, 15:52
What were the load factors on this route ? Last journey I made to Paris with easyJet it was quite full - both directions. Demand seems to be there - Possibility of Air France upgrading to mainline with larger equipment? or will prices be on the increase!

BAladdy
7th Apr 2012, 00:30
It's normally CDG or DUB crew I think. Definetly not a NCL crew base though.

The night stopping crew are DUB based

VentureGo
8th Apr 2012, 20:22
Newcastle continue to succeed on profitable mainline routes, I therefore am not concerned with easyJet's lack of growth as well as that from Ryanair. However, I am slightly concerned by lack of progress with mainline operators to Frankfurt, Berlin, Milan, Zurich/Geneva, Scandinavia, and of course New York (on at least 3 days per week), and other Trans Atlantic regular scheduled operations. Now IS the time for expansion - Before full economic recovery, so that increased traffic is monopolised upon in subsequent years.

CabinCrewe
8th Apr 2012, 20:41
Now is not the time to start these sorts of routes especially Trans Atlantics.

HH6702
8th Apr 2012, 21:11
here we go again NEW YORK, NEW YORK!!!!

how about we change the airport instead to BOSTON!!!!!!!!

only joking

ConstantFlyer
10th Apr 2012, 07:57
For businesses, a link to Germany is far more urgent than transatlantic. My recent trips between Newcastle and Frankfurt have been on Air France and KLM. This has its ups and downs. While I like the KLM E-195 and relish flying on the A-318s that AF uses from CDG-FRA, a direct service would be far better. Next time I'm going to use LH from EDI-FRA. I would go NCL-DUS-FRA, but it is invariably more expensive. Germanwings are expanding; has NCL spoken to them?

HH6702
13th Apr 2012, 09:26
heard that easyjet will annouce some new routes next week for this coming winter?

EGNT-FLYER
13th Apr 2012, 12:13
I've heard from a good source that easyJet are going to announce a new route to AMS from newcastle starting late in the year/early new year!

Ops Guy
13th Apr 2012, 19:08
Can't see it, not with KLM 4 or 5 daily paying premium rates and passengers using KLM though AMS for onward connections.

Time will tell ;)

easyflyer83
13th Apr 2012, 19:47
To be fair though, how many UK regional airports support both EZY and KL on the AMS? If there is any EZY NCL-AMS expect to perhaps lose a KL rotation but otherwise they will probably co-exist.

ConstantFlyer
13th Apr 2012, 20:47
easyJet operates alongside KLM on the following routes from AMS:

Basel, Berlin (SXF vs TXL), Bristol, Edinburgh, Geneva, Glasgow, London (LTN/STN/LGW vs LHR/LCY), Madrid, Manchester, Milan (MXP vs LIN), Prague and Rome.

easyJet also operates alongside Air France on more than 20 routes from Paris.

There's clearly enough room for both, so let's hope KLM don't cut NCL (or MME) frequencies as a result.

fl dutchman
13th Apr 2012, 22:24
I remember a few years ago Jet 2 started NCL-AMS up against KL twice daily. It then quickly went to once daily, then they gave up altogether. I think it only lasted for a few months.

During that time the KL frequency was maintained with a modest drop in LF. I dont know how the company will react this time if it happens.

Dont forget a large proportion of KL passengers are flying onward from AMS.

Of course EZY have competed with AF to CDG for a few years now and it seems to have worked. But its ending at the end of summer schedules and they will have to do something with the based aircraft. So new routes are likely to be announced. We will find out soon where to.

ash666
14th Apr 2012, 06:14
They would have to make it 100% reliable as they would not be responsible for onward connections like KLM

GrahamK
14th Apr 2012, 08:36
Just returned from Tenerife last night. Pleasant experience coming through the airport other than the grumpy sod who I'm sure was trying to fit a 757 load of passengers onto one bus. Passing through security and baggage reclaim was a breeze, a shame not all airports were like this...

A bit miffed to see the TOM 757 that we'd left behind in TFS had reached NCL before us though...:ugh: :*

All in all, a very pleasant experience both outbound and inbound.

fl dutchman
16th Apr 2012, 13:30
According to provisional CAA stats there was a 4.2% increase in passengers for March 2012 vs 2011.
Still some routes not included in figures ie BRS so actual % may rise.
Rolling year 0.1% up. Not much but its positive which i dont think has been seen for some time.
AMS showing 18% increase.

skyman771
18th Apr 2012, 10:26
GrahamK All in all, a very pleasant experience both outbound and inbound.
Yes I too have noted the improvement recently. To an extent though I still remain to be convinced that when pax numbers do pick up for the summer season then things will remain so.
Case in point (excuse pun!) but when EK 35 dumps it's baggage on one of the rotary machines, then it does not take long before the whole machine is log jammed with baggage, due to the obligatory hold ups of pax at immigration, & this is with four stations open........
Now if the baggage machine was required to handle simultaneous baggage for two flights or a 777.........., then one wonders as to how this issue is to be countered?:uhoh:
Though as ever best to travel business class;)

HH6702
19th Apr 2012, 13:13
The tour operator wings aboard went under yesterday.

This operator had planned to operated 2 x weekly onur flights for the winter before the flights got pulled and pax asked to fly from man.

looks like we know now why..

airhumberside
19th Apr 2012, 15:27
Technically they've not gone under, but been 'mothballed' with passengers refunded. The owner hasn't ruled out restarting in the future
Wings Abroad suspends all UK operations - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2012/04/18/40213/wings+abroad+suspends+all+uk+operations.html)

GrahamK
19th Apr 2012, 16:33
Some March Prov.stats:

Gatwick: +1%
Heathrow: +14%
Aberdeen: -24%
Belfast City: +13%
Belfast Int: +9% <----I wonder if easyJet are considering upping this to thrice daily all week, rather than selected days
Brussels: +2% <-----What does the future hold for this route once the BMIR deal goes through, will SN upgrade to RJ85s again, or opt for FlyBe Q400s?
Paris CDG: +8%
Dusseldorf: +26%
Dublin: +28%
Amsterdam: +18%
Stavanger: +50%
Dubai: Stayed flat, with the introduction of the 77W in Sept and the better facilities, might we see people being brough back to NCL that had been driving to GLA/MAN for the 77W/A380 flights?

HH6702
19th Apr 2012, 16:51
Rumours are that FLYBE are to paint 2 more Q400's into SN colours so im guessing BE will base these from NCL and BRS from october 2012??

ncleflights
19th Apr 2012, 21:56
I have received a special offer email from easyjet this evening advertising Newcastle to Paris November from £25.49 and Newcastle to Amsterdam from £27.49. Is this a late April fool as you certainly can't book these flights on the booking engine?

I assume should the email be correct that these flights must be coming on sale from tomorrow, at least we know Paris has not gone and the rumour about Amsterdam must be correct also

Flyit Pointit Sortit
20th Apr 2012, 00:17
Well on the company internal website, 9 new routes have been announced, as usual most are from LGW, one from man to Tel Aviv, a Birmingham to Belfast flight and also a Newcastle to Amsterdam:D.

I had to go searching for this info, as we have not been told officially.

First time in a while that we have had some good news:ok:

Binder
20th Apr 2012, 07:33
But...

Pulling off the Newcastle/Paris is not good news for a lot of regulars.

It's Air France at twice the price then!

Binder

GrahamK
20th Apr 2012, 07:43
I wonder if Jet2 would take a look at NCL-CDG?

ncleflights
20th Apr 2012, 08:00
But has Paris def gone as in my earlier post its in my November special offers email along with Amsterdam. Also my home page which is set up to show Ncle flights first is scrolling Paris as bookable from Newcastle after October although it wont let you book a flight through the booking engine?

Ops Guy
20th Apr 2012, 08:25
Looks like my comment in post 2908 is about to be proven wrong. Good to hear of some new routes though. March stats look good :ok:

Kev 1
20th Apr 2012, 09:54
For this coming winter, the Brussels flight will move back to Brussels Airlines (from BMI), likely to be operated by a Dash 8-400 leased from Flybe.

NCL 06:05 - BRU 09:00 SN2194 x7
BRU 10:10 - NCL 10:55 SN2187 x67
NCL 11:25 - BRU 14:20 SN2188 x67
BRU 15:40 - NCL 16:25 SN2189 x6
NCL 16:55 - BRU 19:50 SN2189 x6
BRU 20:50 - NCL 21:35 SN2193 x6

Also the EZY A320 will be staying over the winter, and there are gaps in the programme for the rumoured Amsterdam flights on Mon/Wed/Thu/Fri & Sun.

Kev

SWBKCB
20th Apr 2012, 16:39
Also the EZY A320 will be staying over the winter, and there are gaps in the programme for the rumoured Amsterdam flights on Mon/Wed/Thu/Fri & Sun.

Easyjet announce Newcastle to Amsterdam route - Chronicle News - News - ChronicleLive (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/04/20/easyjet-announce-newcastle-to-amsterdam-route-61634-30802655/)

GrahamK
22nd Apr 2012, 07:24
The Brussels flight reverts to RJ85 operation from the winter timetable.

skhwoody
23rd Apr 2012, 11:20
work starts tomorrow on the search area for three days as it expands into the extension.....

Jamesair
23rd Apr 2012, 23:26
I wonder if Flybe or Jet2 have any new route plans for Winter 2012/13?

Jamesair
23rd Apr 2012, 23:27
The Easyjet NCL - AMS route starts on 13th Dec and operates mainly 5 x weekly with flights as follows

Dep NCL 1700 M/W/F arr NCL 2010

Dep NCL 0950 Th arr NCL 1300

Dep NCL 1800 Su arr NCL 2110

NCL - CDG still not showing

j636
25th Apr 2012, 18:00
OLT Express starting 2 weekly to Bydgoszcz from October.

deltahotel9
25th Apr 2012, 18:28
Well first reaction is who, to where? However any new route is always welcome and a bit of investigation shows it Poland! Small airline with a few Airbus and ATR planes, could do well, time will tell. Would still like to see Berlin return soon personally.

Sam Chipperfield
25th Apr 2012, 18:34
Good Couple Of Days, 2 New Routes, New Airline, Anyone Fancy Anymore New Routes On The Cards? Will Be Interesting To See What OLT Use, I Fancy A319

planenut321
25th Apr 2012, 18:41
Scheduled A320.

Jamesair
25th Apr 2012, 21:58
OLTExpress route to Bydgoszcz commences 29/10

dep NCL 0845 arr NCL 0800 Wed a/c A320
dep NCL 2035 arr NCL 1915 Sat a/c A320

heslop2006
25th Apr 2012, 22:14
What a nice little surprise, I totally wasn't expecting that addition at all! :D

Severn
25th Apr 2012, 23:13
OLT Express launched operations on 02 April 12, initially with 10 domestic routes within Poland. The airline is expanding its operation starting May 2012, and has announced the expansion to continental Europe starting 29 October 12 from 5 Polish bases (on-top of 23 domestic routes it will be serving by then);
Warsaw - 17 new European routes with 75 weekly flights all starting from 29 October 12
Gdansk - 13 new European routes with 57 weekly flights all starting from 29 October 12
Bydgoszcz - 12 new European routes with 25 weekly flights all starting from 29 October 12
Rzeszow - 7 new European routes with 18 weekly flights all starting from 29 October 12
Lodz - 5 new European routes with 8 weekly flights starting all starting from 29 October 12

The new routes to the UK & IRE will be:
BRS-BZG - 2x Weekly
LPL-BZG - 2x Weekly
NCL-BZG - 2x Weekly
LGW-BZG - 2x Weekly
LGW-GDN - 1x Daily
LGW-WAW - 1x Daily
ORK-BZG - 2x Weekly
EDI-LCJ - 1x Weekly
EDI-BZG - 2x Weekly

They seem to be pretty sorted, especially as it doesn't look like that they will be going head to head on many WZZ or RYR routes at all, and with cheap flights starting at 29.99 one way inclusive of 16kg baggage allowance and 8kg cabin baggage allowance. (also 50% discount applies for pax aged 2 to 18), then hopefully they will do very well.

Earlyriser
26th Apr 2012, 15:16
EasyJets All Orange A320 was at NCL today for the new Route Announcement!

Jamesair
26th Apr 2012, 20:36
They also announced that Amsterdam would be replacing Paris on the NCL network this winter.

HH6702
26th Apr 2012, 20:57
Could we now see Airbus 318's on the NCL route now easyjet have pulled off it our will AF just put up the price of there fares?

Good news about OLT Express wonder what other routes or airlines we may see this coming winter.

Im hoping that OLT does well and maybe see Warsaw added for march 2013?

Jamesair
26th Apr 2012, 21:20
I'm hoping for something else in Scandinavia from Flybe or Norwegian and Berlin from ????????

jensdad
26th Apr 2012, 21:26
I might have misheard it but I'm sure the AF from CDG identified himself as an A318 when he called up the other night - can't remember exactly which night it was . Don't know if this is regular or if it was just that an RJ85 (or whatever 146s are called these days) had gone tec?

HH6702
26th Apr 2012, 21:33
Well ive had a look through nothing new from what i can see.
maybe an extra high season July/aug weekend overnight flights to PMI/IBZ

Couldnt get a hold of a Thomas Cook or Cosmos

maybe comos may use MON instead of TCX for next summer

N707ZS
26th Apr 2012, 21:37
Bydgoszcz. Most industrial complexes are scattered throughout the city, however, the 'Zachem' chemical works deserves attention, covering tens of square kilometers in the south-east of the city, the remnants of the German explosives factory built in World War II occupy an area which has its own rail lines, internal communication, housing, and large forested area.

HH6702
26th Apr 2012, 22:55
N707ZS - sounds like there is lots to do there for all types of people!!

hope it works as i dont think any of us saw this route coming

neil_2008
27th Apr 2012, 08:28
I am a little intrigued by this route, the timings and frequency are hardly going to appeal to the usual Krakow / Prague weekend city break crowd. I personally can't see the numbers working here, unless of course this is connected with some local industry who is going to be providing the bulk of the passengers?

JKKne
28th Apr 2012, 17:08
Great news about some new routes and activity.

And now....flew into Newcastle this lunchtime. Some positive points, the Border Agency queue was really well handled despite the arrival of flights from PMI, DXB, x2 ALC and an AMS. They were very quick and pleasant. Deboarding was also quick.

Baggage...utter nightmare. None of the screens were working and then all of the belts came on at once. No idea where to go for the bags! I asked a harassed Swissport girl and she said 'Sorry, I don't know, its just busy'

Emirates popped up on 2 conveyors, the Alicante flights luggage guest starred on 2 conveyor belts complete with some Palma. I was in there for 30 minutes before I even knew what carousel to use. I know the area is tiny but still, luggage carousels abound.

Customs staff were actually very helpful guiding people through queues. So the Govt agencies at NCL...thumbs up

Was late for the car service picking me up, the driver said it happens on Saturday all the time, the airport can't cope.

Disappointing as other things had clearly improved.

skyman771
29th Apr 2012, 18:07
JKKne
I note that it would appear that issues as noted on my post #2915 appear to manifesting themselves on an even larger scale.

It's all very well recent major capital expenditure on an enlarged security area, but if it is to be at the potential mayhem, symptomatic of recent observations, then one wonders if there is money in the budget to address matters before these issues do manifest themselves in a big way !?:uhoh:

VentureGo
30th Apr 2012, 21:17
easyJet 570 from Bristol has aborted landing at 22:10 and is going around for 2nd attempt. "Flightradar"

GrahamK
4th May 2012, 08:38
The FlyBe Bergen service will now operate year round rather than just summer only.

JKKne
4th May 2012, 15:38
Smart Lynx Airlines will be basing an Airbus A320 operating for Thomas Cook.

It's YL-LCI, 1997 model.

YL-LCI Thomas Cook Airlines Airbus A320-214 - cn 724 - Planespotters.net Just Aviation (http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/Airbus/A320/724,YL-LCI-SmartLynx.php)

fl dutchman
4th May 2012, 17:03
So does that mean they will have 2x TCX 752s, 1x TCX 320 and the Smart Lynx 320 at NCL for the summer.

Are they there at the moment.

AirGuru
4th May 2012, 18:45
Both CWL and NCL are included in the MON summer 2013 schedule with a weekly departure to SFB from both locations !

SWBKCB
4th May 2012, 19:33
So does that mean they will have 2x TCX 752s, 1x TCX 320 and the Smart Lynx 320 at NCL for the summer.

Are they there at the moment.

Yes - current TCX complement is as above.

HH6702
4th May 2012, 21:54
The plan will be 3 based aircraft but only 1x757 and 2x738 so a slight drop in seats from NCL for next summer unless we get some extra flights on (w) or a 4th based aircraft?

Good news on MON flights to SFB wonder if we will see any short haul routes from them also??

Still no announcment on the Airport website or a message on there facebook or twitter accounts about the new link to poland with OLT Express!
If they dont start pushing the route i cant see it going to last long if its just the spotters that know about it unless they are hoping for inbound pax to northeast only??

SWBKCB
5th May 2012, 06:09
OLT don't seem to have done much about any of the Bydgoszcz routes (yet?) outside of Poland, so perhaps they are aiming at the inbound market?

HH6702
9th May 2012, 12:46
WHY HAS AIRPORT MANAGEMENT DECLINED TO COMMENT?????????

OLT Express launch flights from Newcastle Airport to Poland

by Michael Brown, The Journal
May 9 2012

NORTH East businesses will have a direct link to one of Eastern Europe’s financial capitals with the launch of new flights from Newcastle.

Expanding airline OLT Express have earmarked Tyneside for a twice-weekly service to the Polish city of Bydgoszcz – pronounced Bid-gosht – which could see 38,000 more passengers heading in and out of the region.

And that could mean a boost for the local economy, as firms over here benefit from being able to work more closely with their counterparts in a city that boasts 38 different banking companies, 37 insurance firms, heavyweight Wall Street hitters like JP Morgan as well as heavy chemical industry.

NECC Director of Policy, Ross Smith, said: “The ever-expanding roster of destinations offered by Newcastle International Airport is a credit to the airport itself and testament to the North East becoming an increasingly desirable place to visit and do business.

“Bydgoszcz is one of the major economic cities of Poland.

“These new flights not only open up another potential market for regional business, Bydgoszcz’s rich cultural offer will no doubt attract many tourists.

“Likewise the North East’s burgeoning reputation as a tourist destination will bring people to the region.”

Bydgoszcz and its near 360,000 inhabitants are found about 60 miles north east of Poznan, and will be a three-hour-five-minute flight from Newcastle when OLT’s 180-seat Airbus A320 takes off every Wednesday and Saturday from October 31.

Tickets for the route are already on sale priced from 149 Polish zloty – about £28.

It will mark Newcastle International’s second route to Poland, as Jet2.com already run a twice-weekly service to Krakow and is the eighth new route announced from the city since December last year.

A spokesman for the airline, Magdalena Gordon-Wesolowska, said she thought the new route would meet an existing need for a link between the cities on the Tyne and the River Vistula.

“Many people from Bydgoszcz already work in Newcastle, make business there or just visit Newcastle and its area,” she said.

“But we’re counting on tourist and business travel from Newcastle as well. And so we hope that Bydgoszcz-Newcastle route will be very popular.”

Newcastle International Airport declined to comment.

tonker
9th May 2012, 15:41
More Polish workers en route to do all the jobs that don't exist:rolleyes:

Why don't they ever market the North East/Northumberland etc as somewhere others can visit, as opposed to this one way traffic when tourism is concerned? As an outsider seems a little odd.

SWBKCB
9th May 2012, 17:03
WHY HAS AIRPORT MANAGEMENT DECLINED TO COMMENT?????????

At a guess, because there has been little contact and they don't know much about it?

Doesn't sound like it's one of those routes which has been lured in by heavy discounts then!

heslop2006
9th May 2012, 18:14
If anyone follows the airport on facebook, OLT has been announced by them on the facebook page

Here it is: the new OLT Express service between Newcastle and Bydgoszcz. This route is now on sale with twice weekly flights starting on 31st October.

Fares start from around £30 each way, including a free baggage allowance. If you're looking for an easy trip between the North East and northern/central Poland, this is it!

For more details or to book go to Olt Express - OLT Express - Polska gór (http://www.oltexpress.com).

https://www.facebook.com/nclairport

HH6702
10th May 2012, 09:17
It was myself which posted early afternoon on the airport website about the new route.

at tea time the airport then updated the page and also tweeted out on twitter.

could the airport really didnt know anything about the route?

Jamesair
10th May 2012, 17:08
MONARCH NCL - ORLANDO 2013

This route, appearing in the 2013 Monarch Scheduled timetable represents a big expansion from fortnightly in 2012 for a limited period 29th May - 21st Aug to weekly from 28th May - 1st Oct. A huge increase in capacity available.

AirGuru
10th May 2012, 17:19
Yes JamesAir, CWL has also had the service upgraded to a full summer service in 2013 to SFB with weekly departures with MON. Nonetheless, not long now until the 2012 ones start from CWL and NCL. Must have been half decent bookings for this year, for them to launch next year's flights !

fl dutchman
10th May 2012, 18:06
Yes there has for a long time now been a shortage of seats to Orlando. Hence the very high prices being charged in the past by Thomson.

I see all 3 TOM based aircraft being quite well utilized from NCL at the moment although the season has just started.

However the same cant be said for TCX just now. Perhaps that may change as the season continues.

fl dutchman
15th May 2012, 14:42
According to the latest BA shedules the NCL-LHR service is reduced to 5 daily M-F, 3 on Sat and 4 on Sun for Summer 2013. ??

HH6702
15th May 2012, 15:54
Will be BA be starting 2x daily to LHR from DTV hence the drop for ncl?

SWBKCB
15th May 2012, 16:07
Hasn't the number of LHR flights regularly changed between summer and winter in the past, in the same way that the AMS does?

Having just launched LBA I'd be surprised at a LHR service from MME, unless somebody is bunging cash at them.

fl dutchman
15th May 2012, 16:37
The number of weekday flights does not normally change between summer and winter. Weekend frequency does slightly change ( 5/6 Sat in winter to 4 summer ) I think Sun is constant.

Other than for a couple of odd months you would have to go back to the days of BKS/Northeast to have frequencys as low as the summer 2013 schedule.

I thought BA were talking about increasing frequencys on existing domestic services with the new slots.

The summer 2013 NCL-LHR are showing very long
gaps between some flights, especially in the afternoon/evening. Its not exactly a good business schedule.

Maybe it will be changed, but BA rarely change schedules once published.

The passenger numbers on this route are usually growing with very busy flights feeding the LHR services, so the reduction is surprising.

richardhall99
15th May 2012, 18:18
seems strange and 319s as well....flew route friday and sunday on very very busy 321 and 320.

firstchoice7e7
15th May 2012, 18:59
The domestic routes always show the A319 as the aircraft operating, it gets changed to the actual aircraft later in the year. It was like this last year as well.

Heathrow Harry
15th May 2012, 21:27
FL Dutchman wrote
"I thought BA were talking about increasing frequencys on existing domestic services with the new slots"

BA always talk a good story but they would rather use the slots for long-haul and make more money

fl dutchman
15th May 2012, 22:34
Yes your probably correct,

However connection times are important and with aprox 4.5 hr frequency gaps between flights up to NCL in the afternoon and evening ( 9hrs on Sats !) it could put people off flying BA Longhaul/european routes from/to the North East Via LHR.

I thought they were giving up some slots from LHR to ABZ and was it also LHR EDI?. Whilst maintaining or increasing frequency on other domestics in addition to starting 3 new domestic routes. Obviously not in the case of NCL.

VentureGo
16th May 2012, 07:04
Booking tool for this summmer (June & July) shows exactly the same as next year (as 5 Daily M-F; Sat 3 & Sunday 4) So change is from next month.. But September shows higher frequency levels as current!

GrahamK
16th May 2012, 07:29
April provisional figures from the CAA:

Gatwick -13%
Heathrow +9%
Brussels +2%
Paris CDG +8%
Dusseldorf -1%
Dublin +15%
Amsterdam +8%
Stavanger +10%
Dubai -12%

For the 12 month rolling period, the airport handled 4.33m pax, -1.2% down.

CaptainDoony
16th May 2012, 08:09
Almost... As part of the sale of bmi, British Airways had to give up 7 daily slot pairs to be used between EDI and/or ABZ.

BA can keep as much frequency as they like on those routes it's just they have to give 7 of their 56 gained slots up.

fl dutchman
16th May 2012, 10:10
Yes it looks like the reductions start in June but its irregular. ie first two weeks in june, a week or so in July and a week in September.

Perhaps they are updating there system in stages?

So Captain Dooney, are you saying that they had to give up slots specified to ABZ and EDI, but then they switch slots from other airports to fill the ones given up at ABZ and EDI?

CaptainDoony
16th May 2012, 12:44
ABZ and EDI will still be maintained by BA at 7x daily and slightly reduced on weekends.

But from the 56 slots gained from BMI, 7 daily slots MUST be given to a different airline who wants to fly ABZ or EDI. They can only be used on ABZ and/or EDI.

fl dutchman
16th May 2012, 14:45
Captain Doony,
Thanks I hadnt realised that was the state of play.

However some of the good connections through LHR with BA returning to NCL especially at weekends are now very poor indeed.

Competitors will probably benefit.

I see the NCL-LHR was up again in March (9%).

CabinCrewe
16th May 2012, 15:57
The domestic slots, if they are indeed ever used, before relapsing back to BA- will not be used until at least late 2013 according to BA
DXB down 12% - ouch, and thats before the 777 :eek: Odd that some other EK stations noting declines, albeit less impressive. Is it still true that NCL is the "weakest link" for EK UK ?

fl dutchman
16th May 2012, 16:59
So the reduction of flights between NCL and LHR has in effect nothing to do with the BMI takeover?

EK. Yes its probably the weakest link in terms of passenger numbers, but it also has the lowest number of seats available.
What is the LF on the NCL route vs the others? What are the yields like? What are they making on freight?
Surely it would not be upgrading to a 777-300ER if it was not performing well enough.

10 DME ARC
16th May 2012, 17:03
DXB - Easter effect!!

fl dutchman
16th May 2012, 17:09
OH Yes!! Never thought of that.

In that case the increases to AMS, CDG, DUB, LHR etc are more impressive

HH6702
16th May 2012, 18:09
I wouldnt worry too much about the dubai figures.
Heard someone on the BHX forum saying they were in a minus too.
Easter and also with them people travelling to MAN so they can fly the A380.

Im sure that from September we will see a big increase in pax with the 777 having a better product to offer than the A330.

TS - been operating for the last 2 weeks now how have the loads been?

NCL-TRC
16th May 2012, 19:55
Todays TS load was just over 100 and last weeks was in single figures :(

fl dutchman
16th May 2012, 20:13
2013 Summer schedules - same as 2012, 5 daily (at present).

Jamesair
16th May 2012, 21:25
Dubai was down 12% from BHX and 7% down from Gatwick

Jamesair
23rd May 2012, 16:47
Now that NCL United looks set to play in Europe next season, can we look forward to seeing some interesting charter flights coming to and going from the airport?

I seem to remember that last time round it was pretty productive.

giblets
23rd May 2012, 18:50
Im sure that from September we will see a big increase in pax with the 777 having a better product to offer than the A330

Unless you are stuck down the back with 10 across seating!

GrahamK
23rd May 2012, 19:11
Jamesair,

I'm sure Jet2 will be pleased :ok:

Jamesair
23rd May 2012, 22:30
Most definately

Jamesair
27th May 2012, 16:24
The Sunday Times today reports that the auction for the 49% share of the airport held by Copenhagen Airports is about to take place. There seem to be several interested parties.

HH6702
28th May 2012, 00:02
I was thinking it may be the owners of gatwick but they have bought EDI now.

lets hope its someone good with lots of money to invest in new airlines and routes... not peel.... lol

SWBKCB
28th May 2012, 06:40
Bloomberg are reporting the Sunday Times as saying the following:

Newcastle has attracted interest from funds including 3i Group Plc (III), Antin Infrastructure Partners SAS and IMF Australia Ltd. (IMF), the newspaper said.

skyman771
29th May 2012, 07:06
Lets hope VAS keep their distance ;)

apaul
31st May 2012, 07:06
Jet2 has doubled its frequency to Dubrovnik for Summer 2013 - Wednesday and Sunday compared to Saturday this year.

GrahamK
31st May 2012, 08:21
Alicante seems to be going double daily on saturdays in place of the 2nd Palma.

j636
1st Jun 2012, 20:49
brussels airlines are increasing capacity on BRU route by almost 60% from start of winter.

N707ZS
2nd Jun 2012, 23:18
VAS and Barratts sounds like a good investment team;)

SWBKCB
3rd Jun 2012, 05:39
N707ZS, Very amusing - but the good people of Woolsington ain't going to let it happen, and plenty of other suitable sites in the North East...

Newcastle green belt homes plans scaled back - Chronicle News - News - ChronicleLive (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/05/25/newcastle-green-belt-homes-plans-scaled-back-72703-31044520/)

BAladdy
4th Jun 2012, 06:26
brussels airlines are increasing capacity on BRU route by almost 60% from start of winter.

The increase is down down to SN replacing the current BD regional 49 seater ER4 that ops the route with one of there 82 seater AR8's. SN plan to remove these aircraft from there fleet by the end of 2012. So I would expect a slight reduction to the planned 60% capacity increase.

SN are planning to increase the number of 78 seater DH4's they have currently leased from BE from 2 to 4 starting W12. The aircraft tipped to be used to op the BRS and NCL routes.

In other news LS are planning to op there S13 flights to MAH at the same frequency and to operate it on the same days as S12. The only real change is that the Friday departure will now op in a W pattern operating:

NCL-MAH-EDI-MAH-NCL

As a result of the the W pattern operation the return flight from MAH will move to a 19:40 departure from MAH and 21:40 arrival in NCL. The current S12 flight departs MAH at 11:50, arriving NCL at 13:50.

ConstantFlyer
4th Jun 2012, 16:21
The increase is down down to SN replacing the current BD regional 49 seater ER4 that ops the route with one of there 82 seater AR8's

See post 2923 of 20 April which explained what was going to happen.

ncleflights
5th Jun 2012, 14:11
SWBKCB - the good people of Woolsington will at the end of the day end up with these houses. Plans have been announced for 1500 houses in Ponteland very near to Dobbies (1000 units) this would have a huge impact of future growth of the airport due to the fact its very close to land earmarked for future airport use. I suspect the good folks of Ponteland and the adjacent well known estate will carry more clout that the folks of Woolsington at the end of the day.

anthbower1234
5th Jun 2012, 21:08
Anyone aware why AirFinland operated todays ALC Rotation?

HH6702
5th Jun 2012, 21:58
a320 is tec YL-LCI

N707ZS
6th Jun 2012, 07:49
Hope its not going to be another Flyjet summer!

OltonPete
8th Jun 2012, 16:42
brussels airlines Modifies Newcastle / Bristol W12 Operations | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/08/sn-nclbrs-w12update2/)

flybe Q400 for Brussels winter 2012/3 assuming nothing changes

0605 1055

1125 1625

1655 2135

Pete

upnorth east
8th Jun 2012, 16:59
There was a bird strike to the plane due on the flight. I only know as I had relations delayed in ALC.

Jamesair
14th Jun 2012, 16:51
More news about summer 2013 from Jet 2

MURCIA....reduced from 7 weekly to 4 weekly (M/W/F/Sa

VENICE....reduced from 3 weekly to 2 weekly (Th/F)