PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

SWBKCB
24th May 2009, 18:58
Flight SGX5201/2 from/to Bodrum was operated by TC-SGH on Friday

Was due to be operated by TC-SGH but went tech and sub to a Tailwinds (note, Tail not Trail - no 'r') B.734

Jamesair
24th May 2009, 21:56
Is/was the airport represented at " Routes Europe" in Prague?

skyman771
24th May 2009, 21:57
Returning to "Airport Topics" what progress if any is being made towards fast track "iris Scanning" at the security check points ?

Kev 1
25th May 2009, 11:56
Currently (12.53) there's an Easyjet A319 (FAO) and KLM F70 (AMS) in the NEW hold, has an incident occured? Current weather conditions look good (blue skies around 6 miles to the east of the airport) so guess weather isn't a factor...

Sam Chipperfield
25th May 2009, 12:16
25th May 2009

T34254 12:30 ISLE OF MAN HOLDING OVERHEAD
KL961 12:55 AMSTERDAM HOLDING OVERHEAD
EZY6444 13:05 FARO FLIGHT DIVERTED
WF384 13:10 STAVANGER FLIGHT DIVERTED

Does Anyone No Why?

JKKne
25th May 2009, 12:51
Full list of the current issues

T3425412:30ISLE OF MAN HOLDING OVERHEAD
KL96112:55AMSTERDAM FLIGHT DIVERTED
EZY644413:05FARO FLIGHT DIVERTED
WF38413:STAVANGER FLIGHT DIVERTED
BE67513:40 CARDIFF HOLDING OVERHEAD
BE123213:50 JERSEY HOLDING OVERHEAD
BE46413:50 LONDON GATWICK HOLDING OVERHEAD EZY648214:00NICELANDING AT 14:11
T3480214:00STAVANGER HOLDING OVERHEAD
LS53214:05 PALMAFLIGHT DIVERTED

Still no idea whats going on :ugh:

757 Speedbrakes
25th May 2009, 14:05
I've got an almost identical photo of another Rockwell Commander from a few years ago back at Oxford with the same nose gear problem........... :eek:

Hope person or persons got out ok.

MME4eva
25th May 2009, 14:16
MME has had the flyBE from JER and LS from Palma diversions as well as the EZY from Faro-made the arrivals board look packed!!

JKKne
25th May 2009, 14:37
TCX516K to LBA is showing cancelled alongside an RE4481 to erm...NCL :confused:

Looks like Eastern abandoned the entire programme this morning too and possibly this afternoon as the departure board is looking rather bare

MME has a departure scheduled to Manchester with a TCX machine

Ringwayman
25th May 2009, 15:48
Eastern tend not to operate any routes on bank holidays given that they are traditionally going after the business traveller with multi-frequency routes; not much call for business travel on these dates!

sunshine79
25th May 2009, 16:39
I was wondering why KL was flying over mine (Sunderland) earlier. I don't think I've ever seen one fly over. I noticed a TCX and EZY flying overhead too but they were quite high. Looks like the airport is open as normal now.

ReadyToGo
25th May 2009, 23:01
Aer Arran flights into NCL these days are often related to Sunderland FC's Irish fans and directors. Perhaps after the relegation of Newcastle united, they thought it better to sneak out under the guise of a sightseeing flight from NCL-NCL? :oh:

Or perhaps it was a "fear of flying" trip or crew training?

RTG!

JKKne
25th May 2009, 23:32
Aren't Sunderland owned by Ellis Short, the Texan, now?

I can see it now...Southwest launching into Europe from NCL! :}

ReadyToGo
25th May 2009, 23:44
I think he's just the majority shareholder. Theres still a LOT of Irish influence at the Stadium of light, and I am sure that explains the Aer Arran charters. Niall Quinn is still a major influence at the club.

To get it back on an aviation front, I wonder if we'll see Newcastle United on a ScotAirways Dornier next season, or will it be a coach trip to Peterborough next season?

RTG!

ReadyToGo
25th May 2009, 23:48
Incidently JKKne...
They already have a foothold at NCL... to Newquay and Plymouth!

Wonder if JR Ewing will be using Michael Owen's spare helicopter when he flies in from Southfork for the home games!

RTG!

HH6702
26th May 2009, 17:34
KLM - 2x E190 aircraft being used including night stopper

wow decrease in flights

ash666
26th May 2009, 17:48
Are they the ones that don't allow you to have trolley type hand luggage(cabin cases) inside the plane?

SWBKCB
26th May 2009, 18:29
wow decrease in flights

Can you expand, what do you mean by this?

HH6702
26th May 2009, 19:33
looking at the airport timetable air southwest will not flying into ncl on tuesday and thursdays from end of october

Jamesair
27th May 2009, 08:59
Air Sothwest timetable shows no flts Tu, Th, Sa. for the winter season

transwede
27th May 2009, 09:32
WOW are obviously trimming frequency to suit demand, better to retain the service than to loose it altogether. I thought NQY/PLH was more geared towards lesiure/VFR passengers, particularly during summer months.

Route Opportunities

NCL has been quite unlucky over the past 12-18 months, having lost a number of routes for whatever reason.

KRK, PRG, INV, PUJ, BUD, BGY, TRF, GWY, SNN have all gone with other routes suffering drop in frequency. Obviously with the credit crunch and economic situation affecting not just aviation, but other industries as well, is there any routes out there which are still possibly workable and profitable from NCL? Do we stand any chance over the next 1-2 years of regaining our top spot in the top 10 UK airports? NCL used to be compared to BRS in competition stakes, now BRS is far more successful or is bouyant the right word?

The area NCL seems to do well in, is charter with expansion from TCX and a growth in frequency to Turkey, with TOM, TCX, OHY and VIK/SGX all operating larger programmes.

ReadyToGo
27th May 2009, 11:42
I really think NCL is screaming out for a connection to the US. Surely someone out there could have a crack at NCL-NYC with a 757 or similar.

Emirates has shown that there is a good market for pax and cargo on a long haul market to Dubai, so surely theres a similar leisure/business market. Even if it just ran 3 or 4 times a week it would surely be able to turn a profit.

But thats just my guess, i have no doubt that American and COntinental have considered it in the past.

RTG!

mmeteesside
27th May 2009, 12:02
I wouldn't call it expansion from TCX, more like picking up most of the XL work that was left when they shut down.

StoneyBridge Radar
27th May 2009, 13:03
Adding to the woes, NCL was EK's worst performing UK route in February by a significant margin, down 13% on 2008. :(

Jamesair
27th May 2009, 16:20
Then down 14% in March but UP 1% in April

Sam Chipperfield
27th May 2009, 16:41
Not 2 Worry, Emirates Will Still Fly From Newcastle

Sam Chipperfield
27th May 2009, 16:44
Does Anybody No Why There Was A Croatian A319 In From Dubrovnik On Wednesday, Does Anybody Have Its Registration?

SWBKCB
27th May 2009, 16:51
These flights operate annually from a number of regional airports - some sort of religious pilgrimage.

GrahamK
27th May 2009, 20:47
Not 2 Worry, Emirates Will Still Fly From Newcastle

Not if they keep losing money on it, they wont. April loads were around 75% according to my calculations, and that was with a lot of special offer fares...

ReadyToGo
27th May 2009, 22:01
GrahamK

Any passengers flying on EK from NCL is a bonus...

They turn a profit on whats below the cabin floor, and I have heard this on VERY good authority. Apparently, they can make a healthy profit on that alone, even if there were no passengers in the cabin. Its the demand for freight which has led them (on more than one occasion) to consider an upgrade to a 777. The recent "cheap flights" drive is more to keep the pax levels up, which in turn earns them certain "favours" from NIAL.

Its not like anyone else is competing out of NCL with daily airfreight services!

RTG!

transwede
28th May 2009, 07:53
to consider an upgrade to a 777

Although they may have considered it, an upgrade to 777 will never happen in the medium term future at NCL. They would have to payload restrict it in some way, either by capping pax loads or freight. If and its a big IF, an upgrade were to be madeit would be another A330 rotation to increase frequency initially.

In the long term, NCL's turning point in terms of long haul routes could be when airlines begin to introduce the 787. Afterall it was made for long, thinner routes - just depends on whether the airlines will use them on such services. I'm guessing we'll get the charter boys in with them, but not sure which scheduled carriers may use them through NCL?

andrewmcharlton
28th May 2009, 08:15
Without connections to a major hub nobody will sustain a route to NYC so forget all about that, it's not going to happen. EK won't upgrade to 777 as someone else said until they have a 2 x 330 rotation and that's a million miles away.

As for route closures, some were doomed to fail from the off. Galway was at best a weekend or mid week break trip and no use at all to any business traveller and Shannon was only put on two rotations a week to get rid of Aer Arran, it's a common FR trick to shaft them and walk away. As soon as Galway was gone, SNN followed soon after. The EI flights would be a success if the timings were better for transatlantic connections but even if you are prepared to overnight in DUB the EI booking enging doesn't permin through ticketing so its a complete waste.

skyman771
28th May 2009, 14:09
GrahamK Ref "EK" April loads were around 75% according to my calculations, and that was with a lot of special offer fares...
I would have presumed that LF's in the 70's, although not ideal, were not an issue to cause panic at EK. Clearly the yield may be lower with offer fares, but in reality are not these offers along the lines of those adverised when the route was first introduced? also there is the factor of onward connections at DXB, and of course this is where it becomes much more difficult to identify the extent of revenue generation without much more commercially sensitive data. On another tack then I believe LF's have historically been at an imbalance at NCL between outbound & inbounds, thus is 75% an aggregation? & if so given the effects of the current ecconomic environment then although not good, could be worse, though there is never any room for complacency. What can be said with clarity is that "Emirates" now has a massive profile with the travelling public in the North East, something that required a great deal of time, effort and at considerable cost. There is nothing to suggest that there is a chance anytime soon of EK allowing this to compromised at NCL.:ok:

ash666
28th May 2009, 16:09
Not strictly NCL, but the onward connection from DXB to Bangkok is going to be an A380 from 1st June. NCL-DXB-BKK is a popular route from NCL.

transwede
28th May 2009, 16:12
If its that popular, a direct NCL-BKK 787 service in future!???? Teehee:E

(sorry couldn't resist!)

ash666
28th May 2009, 16:16
A 380 even better. Just need to extend the runway to Cramlington!

ReadyToGo
28th May 2009, 17:31
With regards an NYC connection, surely if and when (and its a very BIG if and when) the exchange rates are a little more favourable, NYC (either through JFK with American, or Newark with Continental) would be a very good hub setup for connections elsewhere stateside.

I'd love to know how many NCL pax a week transit through CDG, AMS or LHR to cross the pond. Would there perhaps be a market even for a 757 on a triangular routing with somewhere like Bristol, Aberdeen or Cardiff?

I know there were rumours of Jet2 and Globespan having a go a few years ago. I think even American considered it, I just dont see what is holding a US mainline carrier having a go, the market is there, I really am sure of that!

RTG!

PS - I know AIr Transat had a triangular via Exeter at one point, but that doesnt really count!

JKKne
28th May 2009, 18:34
American went as far as announcing the Newcastle-JFK route in 2006 but it later cancelled the route before it even began blaming high fuel prices

GrahamK
28th May 2009, 19:12
The only airline likely to make NCL-NYC work (and i's a good 6-7 years away at least) is CO with a 757 type a/c.

Anyone else would have it dropped quickly

Ops Guy
28th May 2009, 20:53
NYC route

I love all this, will they, wont they NYC talk :E. Everyone working for NIAL who has just had the team brief from the senior management team already know the answer to the question your all asking :E :E :E :E.

Regarding EK 777. So close, so close. :ok:

Things could be a lot worse. ;)

GrahamK
28th May 2009, 20:56
Can anyone else recall a summer only ATA flight from NCL-JFK? Think it lasted only one summer?

And what about Caledonians A320 GLA-NCL-Turkey-Amman(??)-Goa abnd v.v. flight?

ReadyToGo
28th May 2009, 22:34
RE: Ops Guy
You are a hell of a tease!

I heard through the grapevine (rightly or wrongly) on VERY second hand information about the EK 777 a few months back. My source wasn't exactly... "in the know" but certainly had no reason to be doubted either.

Same source also suggested (without substantial evidence I must add) that EK had ambitions on the UK-transatlantic market, and saw its development of its Dubai-UK routes as a stepping stone to further development.

Emirates has ploughed money into NCL, "Emirates Tower", the airbridge (stand 9?), its chaufeur service... its BLATENT preferential ATC treatment.... its here for the long term...

So here is my two cents.... DXB-USA... via NCL (Birmingham and Glasgow?) is planned once fuel prices (and/or exchange rates) drop to a tolerable level. It will market a direct A380 DXB-NYC at a premium price, but offer a "lowcost" option via the UK regions.

NCL-DXB is already working well (as is BHX-DXB, GLA-DXB)
NCL-USA is a completely untapped market

Remember Emirates is nothing to do with any major alliance, so its future relies on it looking for niches... there IS a niche for transatlantic flights from NCL, and neither Star Alliance, Oneworld or Skyteam looks like filling it...

EK 777, DXB-NCL-JFK????

Watch this space!

JKKne
28th May 2009, 23:30
Graham

Didn't AA plan to use older 757's on the NYC-JFK route

I still don't buy the high fuel price excuse, does anyone have any other reason why they announced then ditched the route?

It still amazes me that Southwest haven't decided to try and conquer transatlantic routes yet, couple of cheap second hand 747's....Laker mark II :p

GrahamK
29th May 2009, 07:28
JKKne, AA dropped the route due to crap forward bookings.

skyman771
29th May 2009, 08:48
NYC & all that goes with it....
It's the same old chestnut resurrected yet again. It's a pity the old thread gone as I posted c.2 years ago that the only real possibility of a commercial service to NYC was to interline via NCL & EK, only to be slated at the suggestion. Going forwards all this creates is fodder for further debate on a tennuous subject that really is going nowhere until there is an ecconomic upturn.
GrahamK Never mind ATA, what about TWA who operated a series of flights for Jetsave to NYC in the 70's with 707's.
Interestingly the observation that these "holiday flights" by either ATA / TWA were successful is difficult to support given that they operated only for short periods. When one puts into context that not only were they operated in the peak holiday period, but at a time when alternatives to NYC were much more limited than now, then it is clear that the market may not be as strong as some suggest and on a commercial basis requires considerable support of business pax & onward connections. Presumably this realisation ultimately deterred AA.
On anther "tack" the choice of existing regional connections to NYC are actually quite good from NCL though whether AMS, CDG or LHR they all have their good & bad points but in the main it is only the extra journey time c.2.5 Hrs that is the real issue.
But I return to the fundamental factor "Choice" & often when I travel I need to be at a particular place & time in the US & at best it may simply be down to good fortune if introduced NCL-JFK offered the best fit. Simply put a majority of travellers to US from NCL will need to make a connection either in Europe or the US to get to their final US destination & NCL-NYC being only one sector, then the percieved market needs to looked at in great detail:(

transwede
29th May 2009, 09:01
I know AIr Transat had a triangular via Exeter at one point, but that doesnt really count!

RTG, why does it not count? The route has stayed longer than any other transatlantic route from NCL. Initially started as a charter service, it has migrated into an Air Transat seasonal scheduled service, abeilt aimed at tour operators etc. I believe it is now direct on wednesdays with A310 equipment and does very well, just a pity frequency has dropped over the years - though obviously 1 flight per week is all that is needed.

Am I the only one who can never ever see EK operating across the pond from NCL, nor operate 777 into NCL?

Everyone working for NIAL who has just had the team brief from the senior management team already know the answer to the question your all asking

Is the management just not being a little over ambitious in this current climate - NYC or any scheduled transatlantic service is a long way off in this current climate, even with fuel efficient, low config 757 or similar equipment.

There is one major gap in NCL route network - Eastern Europe! I would of thought when EZY dropped their KRK/PRG/BUD, one of the other loco airlines would have stepped in with 3/4 weekly flights, but obviously demand has dried up or airlines would jump at the chance of a profitable route!?

andrewmcharlton
29th May 2009, 10:07
RTG, what are you smoking?

DXB-NCL-NYC? Get real.

NCL has no hub infrastructure and no chance of attracting it against other established hub businesses.

EK haven't exactly ploughed money in, they have a sponsorship naming deal on the tower and have one gate built. The chaffeur service is a local contractor and they will have had the operators falling over themselves to provide infrastructure for them to just get them here.

fl dutchman
29th May 2009, 12:44
Transwede,
Perhaps there is some confusion here, or am I reading things incorrectly. The Air transat service is to Toronto not New York.
Ghraham K was right,there was a service to New York several years ago with ATA, American Trans Air or something like that, on a weekly charter during one summer season.

I can not see a direct service to New york at all especially in the current economic climate. I see no benefit over the current one stop services to the US via LHR, LGW, AMS and CDG. Only those ending and starting their journeys at New York would benefit and I dont see the numbers doing that being able to sustain the service.

I am sure that EK will upgrade equipment on the route when things pick up.

ReadyToGo
29th May 2009, 12:50
Not smoking anything, but drinking with a good friend last night had raised the discussion.

it was apparently considered "feasable" at one stage (his words not mine) that perhaps Emirates would look to expand on their regional bases in the UK and it was suggested that a gap in the North American market might be one such logical progression. (of course the state of the industry these days I agree is highly unlikely).

As you said, Newcastle has no hub set up, but then again It wouldnt need much change simply to cope with an extra leg on an A330 flight that already exists. Of course this is fantasy.
I just think that there is a market there. Bristol has in the past (and I think still does) sustained a conenction across the pond!

Finally with regards Air Transat, I wasn't counting that as I was under the impression that it was still a charter. I didn't realise you could actually book seats with them! Its always good to see something that isnt an A320/19 or 737/757 in town! Long may it continue!

RTG!

ConstantFlyer
30th May 2009, 08:50
We have to be realistic about transatlantic flights from NCL. While the UK has always had a close relationship with the USA, and thus a high level of demand for travel between the two countries, things have changed.
There are now more connections between the USA and regional airports across Europe.

For example, DL flies a 757 from JFK to Valencia, Malaga, Edinburgh and Lyon; and a 767 to Pisa and Venice. Let's not forget US Airways, with its Philadelphia hub serving 22 European airports with 757s and 767s. And Delta's Atlanta hub has links to 21, including regional points such as Dusseldorf and Stuttgart. Could a NCL-PHL or -ATL service work instead of a -NYC?

Certainly, CO has the EWR-UK regional market pretty sewn up. If I needed to go to New York from Newcastle, I'd probably avoid the main hubs by taking an EZY to BFS or BRS and CO from there. But, as noted by a previous poster, many UK-US travellers are transfering at hubs and don't mind which hub it is, as long as the transfer is smooth and efficient. That might be the key advantage of a PHL or ATL service over LHR or NYC.

skyman771
30th May 2009, 11:56
constantflyerIf I needed to go to New York from Newcastle, I'd probably avoid the main hubs by taking an EZY to BFS or BRS and CO from there.
Surely you are not serious !
Clearly you haven't attempted such an epic!, all you would create for yourself is potential for mega hassle ! without an interline connection then you have to collect your baggage, re checkin deal with all security twice & pray that your flight is on time or that your connection is not late, else at best you will have plenty time to ponder the rationality, failing that then build in a considerable margin for error on transfer time. I have not even dealt with cost, which almost certainly would be higher.:ugh:

Montreal-Dubai
30th May 2009, 13:36
Yes, I agree, plus thats the ups and downs of a scheduled service. It isnt going to be 100 percent all of the time. I have flown on the EK-NCL service 4 times now and 2 of those occasions were complete sell outs, the others were almost there. The business class sales seem to be consistantly good, and the amount of freight they seem to shoehorn into the forward hold is very encouraging. This is where the money lies, economy revenue is just a bonus but not critical. I know you cant be complacent, but I am sure EK dont look at routes short term, they like to build things up gradually. Look at how forward there Australian market has developed over the years. I first flew with them to Melbourne back in 1996, on a A310 with 88 passengers on board!! Some of their routes downunder are now thrice daily! We shall see, most people certainly know they are here, so the marketing has worked. Lets hope the momentum continues.:ok: Its just so refreshing to get back to your local airport, on a widebodied plane, direct! And be through customs and on my way home within an hour of hitting the tarmac...:D

upnorth east
30th May 2009, 21:07
Just checked my log from the early 80's and there was a summer charters to JFK using Transamerica DC8's. From memory, as earlier message, the flights only operated for about the three peak summer months.

I personally would have thought that a 3/4 times a week link through Emirates to EWR would work in a similar way that Emirates has been successful eastbound with a business/pleasure mix. I also read recently that Emirates does codeshare with CO on some routes, so it may become feasible once the economic situation improves.

CentreFix25
30th May 2009, 21:21
There was a series (not sure if it made it past one Summer) flown by Trans Ocean with a yellow and black DC-8 in the late 80s early 90s. I have a picture of it vacating 25 at bravo, I'll try and get it posted.

With regard to present day on planet earth we're not going to get a route to NY! - move on it's boring.

fl dutchman
31st May 2009, 17:23
Dosent seem to be any long haul from TCX and MON next summer. Anyone heard otherwise?.

Toronto also not available from NCL for 2010 but is available from other airports.

transwede
31st May 2009, 19:07
Could be reduction due to economic crisis or just operators releasing in small chunks? I would think Toronto will operate, given that it has done for so many years through Globespan Travel and seemed to be successful.

apaul
31st May 2009, 21:50
The other Air Transat flights to Toronto e.g. from Edinburgh or Exeter also have not yet been released for 2010.

sunshine79
2nd Jun 2009, 09:35
I've just seen a First Choice c/s go over my house a few minutes ago, but can't see any Thomson Airways taking off from NCL around about 10.20am. Does anyone know if it is operating for another airline?

Kev 1
2nd Jun 2009, 12:05
Depending on where you live of course, I believe what you saw was TOM284 (positioning flight to Birmingham) which departed Newcastle at around 10:20 this morning.

This was operated by a FCA B763 (G-OOBL) as this is what has tended to operate the whole NCL long-haul operation so far this summer.

Hope this helps

Kev

sunshine79
2nd Jun 2009, 14:48
Kev 1, thanks for the info. I've just realised it would have operated the CUN flight, probably only the 2nd or 3rd flight of the season due to the swine flu. I'm in Sunderland and it was flying South-Westerly, just on the border of South Tyneside area.

transwede
2nd Jun 2009, 18:12
All Thomson Airways long haul departures ex NCL this summer will be operated by ex FCA 767 aircraft. The airline seems to be concentrating regional long haul departures with FCA aircraft and former TOM ones at the larger bases!

crewboi83
2nd Jun 2009, 22:08
I seen the FCA 757 take off over my house today as well, one with winglets
Thomsons fleet at NCL at mo consists of G-CPEV and G-OOBE both FCA 757s, and a TOM B738 (G-FDZR) with G-OOBL popping up from EMA to do the long haul every week

apaul
2nd Jun 2009, 22:54
Looks like Tuifly have pulled the Newcastle-Hannover route from the end of October as its no longer bookable for the period November 2009-March 2010.

ash666
3rd Jun 2009, 12:26
I don't suppose anyone knows what meal, if any, is provided by the 6.45am BA flight to LHR?

northumberlandairway
3rd Jun 2009, 12:35
Had one on Tuesday. A hot sandwich ciabbatta thing - egg and ham or sausage. Quite tasty. Plus the usual: tea, coffee, juice, molten lava....

ash666
3rd Jun 2009, 14:24
Ok,thanks, that will do for me.

Sam Chipperfield
3rd Jun 2009, 16:39
Does anybody know when Easyjet will be basing there 4th A319 at Newcastle?

transwede
4th Jun 2009, 14:40
Looks like NCL has lost a few more passengers - Scot Travel Holidays, who charter VIK/SGX on a thur, fri and sat have ceased trading as of today!

sunshine79
4th Jun 2009, 14:49
Bugger, my parents are in Marmaris with them.

transwede
4th Jun 2009, 15:08
Arrangements are being made for return of Scot Travel Holidays passengers as per their travel arrangements, normal procedure when something like this happens - CAA steps in and organises.

sunshine79
4th Jun 2009, 15:15
Thanks Transwede, I've just read the update on the NCL website. Mind you, they wouldn't be bothered being stranded, it would just eek out their holiday even more. Just been looking at back up's. TCX have some bargains for this weekend from DLM to NCL.

ReadyToGo
4th Jun 2009, 15:55
ScotTravel arent the only ones who use the VIK/SGX flights, Newmarket holidays, and a few others are involved. So I imagine we'll still see Viking and Saga jets coming over the fence this season.

On a similar note, anyone know of any other charters coming in this summer. FreeBird perhaps?

RTG!

ReadyToGo
4th Jun 2009, 16:00
Also, this evenings SGX to Dalaman is still showing as operating. Though I guess it could have left Dalaman before the news broke.

RTG!

sam1993
4th Jun 2009, 16:04
The Newcastle Airport website states that the CAA will continue to bring back the people already abroad on flights. Instead of finding replacement airlines, they may have just continued to use Saga until everyone is back in the UK which would explain why the flight is still operating tonight - just a thought!

Sam

Jamesair
4th Jun 2009, 17:11
The airport charter timetable seems to show 2 flights exclusively used by Scottravel and one shared with Holidays4u.

sunshine79
4th Jun 2009, 17:18
Newmarket Holidays operate one off charter specials, not weekly flights like other tour operators.

ReadyToGo
4th Jun 2009, 18:26
SGX4104 - Dalaman - Proceed Departures. (from the website now)

Wonder if anyone much has checked in for this?

RTG!

sunshine79
4th Jun 2009, 18:38
There should only be Holidays4U customers checking in. Check-in staff would not be allowed to check in Scott Travel holidaymakers. However, during the XL saga, BHX allowed 12 customers to check in and they travelled on a KM flight which was actually an XL route. You would not imagine how much backlash we got from those customers. They had a 737 to themselves. Wouldn't it feel a bit eery on the flight though?

I would imagine a lot of customers have travelled to airports to get their flight today and did not realise that they had gone bust.

To be honest I cannot imagine them making much of a profit. My folks changed their holiday 3 weeks ago and travelled to weeks ago this Saturday, only having paid £106 to change from one week to two weeks. Most of it was admin fee, and about £20 to go towards the under occupancy supplement for the accommodation.

GraemeEUK
5th Jun 2009, 21:22
Anyone know if the Ryanair GRO has been pulled for the winter schedule? Seems to have been on sale to most other UK airports for a while now, not so here.

DL93
6th Jun 2009, 10:25
RE SGX/VIK

The night the news broke there was around 120 pax booked, ended up leaving with around 50 pax,
Pax had the option to re pay for the seats with newmarket,

SGX is still going to be ops out of newcastle as planned till the end of the season

sunshine79
6th Jun 2009, 10:27
My landlord was booked with Scott Travel, and he could change his holiday over to another Turkish holiday within 24 hours. Looks like Holidays4U or Goldtrail have taken over the bookings.

Jamesair
6th Jun 2009, 15:40
Eastern are changing the NCL - SOU flight times from 7th July

OUT.. 0850.....1400....1700

IN......0850.....1725....2015

main difference is the 0700 early departure from SOU

sunshine79
7th Jun 2009, 13:36
WOW524 has been diverted, anyone know why?

LBIA
7th Jun 2009, 13:42
WOW524 has been diverted, anyone know why?

Check out the Leeds/Bradford thread.

lineup25
8th Jun 2009, 16:52
Dear ASH666

Was the sandwich any good?

BTW does anyone know if Uno's (restaurant on the Quayside) have changed their menu of late? After all food matters.

Apologies if this isn't relevant. :bored:

ash666
8th Jun 2009, 22:08
"Was the sandwich any good?"

Just back home! The sandwich wasn't at all bad. Not much of it which is all you expect on a 1hr flight. I was very disappointed that that was all I got on the LHR-Rome flight with BA as well.

I never thought I'd hear myself say it but I have found an airport with worse security (efficiency) than NCL -Rome's Fiumicino.
Actually, on my way out NCL seemed to be operating well for once :ok:

Jamesair
9th Jun 2009, 10:42
An earlier post suggested that the Newcastle -Hanover service was not operating this coming Winter.

It will be operating twice weekly on Fri and Sun. Oct till March.

apaul
9th Jun 2009, 16:28
I am afraid you are mistaken Jamesair. The last date you can book flights to Hanover is 31 October 2009. They did release the flights twice per week as you suggest, but they are no longer bookable.

SWBKCB
9th Jun 2009, 16:52
When does the TUI/Air Berlin deal come into effect (Air Berlin taking the scheds, TUI keeping the charters) - thought it was start of the winter sched? May be dropped or might still be trying to sort things out??

transwede
9th Jun 2009, 18:14
Weren't Air Berlin rumoured to be talking to NCL a while ago?

BTW, what are load factors etc like on the NCL-HAJ service? I suppose they could be high, but it will depend on yield also.

transwede
12th Jun 2009, 14:28
When do tour operators generally release next summers programmmes? Only TUI have their long haul's on sale, but I'm guessing there maybe a possibility that CUN could be pulled, depending on how loads go for the rest of this season and how the place recovers from swine flu!? :hmm:

sunshine79
12th Jun 2009, 16:28
Next summer normally goes on sale at the start of May, however I think most tour operators are eyeing launching summer 2010 late July/early August time. Long haul 2010 from NCL isn't looking too good. I haven't found one flight yet.

Also noticed TCX has rather a lengthy delay from KGS. Is the a/c stuck downroute? Anyone know why it's delayed? I'm assuming it's gone tech.

sam1993
12th Jun 2009, 17:26
The outbound flight was also delayed - Thomas Cook are using their standby aircraft G-DAJC on this flight today which did'nt depart until around 9.30am!

fl dutchman
12th Jun 2009, 21:24
Sunshine79

Tom has Orlando, Dom Rep and Cancun all on sale for 2010.

Thomas cook have a brochure out for Orlando with the Mon flight to Sandford in 2010 but the flight cant be booked?.

FLYBE

Looks lile the Limoges and Rennes are combined ie NCL- LIMOGES - RENNES - NCL for the next couple of weeks then they are only available via a connection through SOU or EXE. Have they been dropped or are they full??? anyone know the answer.

Jamesair
12th Jun 2009, 23:30
Maybe I'm reading it wrongly but the non-stop services to Rennes and Limoges seem to be available on the booking platform and additional services via Sou are offered.

Jamesair
13th Jun 2009, 16:13
Newcastle still seems to be the only major airport with its airport movements not listed in Aviation News.

airhumberside
13th Jun 2009, 19:25
think most tour operators are eyeing launching summer 2010 late July/early August time.
July 2nd according to the ttglive website

fl dutchman
13th Jun 2009, 20:11
FLYBE

Have had more time to look at it and it looks like the Limoges service is opperating, but the Rennes seems to be only via a connection at Southampton. Cant find a direct service!.

Sam Chipperfield
14th Jun 2009, 13:33
does anyone know if all of Easyjets planes based up here next summer will be A319's?

ReadyToGo
14th Jun 2009, 16:03
I was under the impression that by the end of the summer, NCL will be all A319, with 737's only coming in on rotation from Belfast.

However I think its taken them a bit longer to get the NCL crews through conversion training, so we may see the 73G here for a while. Is it still 3Airbus and 3Boeing at the minute?

RTG!

_ShIfTy_
15th Jun 2009, 09:59
Affirm. Last of the Airbus courses are November.

ShIfTy.

EGNT
15th Jun 2009, 15:08
Can anyone shed any light on what happened with TOM5VD at about 15:45? I'm located at just under 2dme on the 07 approach and it came directly overhead, appeared to be on a left base turning finals for the approach - i know there were storms in the area, but to be on left base and high at about 1.5d seemed unusual. The aircraft then went missed and came back in 5mins later...was GFDZS.

I'm no expert here,but wondering what caused this? ATC/Pilot error? Weather?

Also,if anyone can shed any light on the cargo flights this week,and times,it would be appreciated.

thebobster
15th Jun 2009, 15:45
Hi just to let you know not sure about times but they are DC 8s coming MME has had a Tristar air a300f based in egypt in over the past few days and i coming back on wednesday.

rob

EGNT
15th Jun 2009, 16:26
Thanks Rob - answered my own question actually, ACE815 9G-AED has just gone past the window on 07.

Many thanks.

sunshine79
15th Jun 2009, 18:55
What 4 engine aircraft took off about 10 minutes ago? It came over Sunderland very loudly, but was quite nice too see.

Ops Guy
15th Jun 2009, 19:06
What 4 engine aircraft took off about 10 minutes ago? It came over Sunderland very loudly, but was quite nice too see.

RJ85's arent what I would say "nice" :E :E :E

mmeteesside
15th Jun 2009, 19:26
Probably your DC-8 as that was due to leave at 2010 for Malta. That would qualify as noisy I suppose!

sunshine79
15th Jun 2009, 19:52
I couldn't see the engines that well, but it's not often you get a four engine aircraft up here, so it's a nice change to see.

EGNT
15th Jun 2009, 21:59
9G-AED departed for Luqa at around 19:45.

Jamesair
16th Jun 2009, 10:20
FLYBE

The direct Rennes flight does seem to have ended with all flights via SOU or Exeter.

Jamesair
16th Jun 2009, 11:14
The CAA pax statistics for MAY have a few rises on scheduled services which is encouraging. Dubai is up 11% against last May. Dublin(-26%) and Stansted (-31%) have big falls after frequency cuts but Gatwick (+13% and Heathrow (+1%) are up.

sunshine79
16th Jun 2009, 12:11
Who is operating the Cruise flights over winter 2009/10? My folks are booking a cruise and flying from NCL to BGI on 9th January. I'm assuming it will be TOM on a 767.

transwede
16th Jun 2009, 18:25
Both Fred Olsen Cruise Lines and P&O have contracts with Thomson Airways to fly their winter long haul programmes to the Caribbean over the quieter winter months. Very lucrative for TOM, their aircraft went worldwide last winter on behalf of Fred Olsen. Aircraft will be a 767, I think they are sometimes reconfigured for the cruise charters, but could be wrong???

Last year, NCL had charters to BGI, MBJ, LRM and MIA. The same will occur this winter.

JKKne
18th Jun 2009, 12:17
Journal reporting that the Airport Hotel will be a Hilton and should be open late Summer :ok:

chris1001
18th Jun 2009, 19:57
It's about time Flybe started giving Eastern some serious competition on the Aberdeen route as Eastern are taking the p*** charging £355 on many return sectors - I could get to Dubai for that with Emirates!!

As soon as Flybe announced ABZ daily service last time Eastern reduced their prices to more sensible levels - ie. around £100 return. The only reason Flybe never got the loads was they only had one flight a day bang in the middle of the day meaning you had to overnight in Aberdeen which defeats the object of flying - you try and get a half decent hotel in Aberdeen and you will really struggle.

Travel Agent
19th Jun 2009, 07:41
I got an email from Thomas Cook yesterday advising Summer 2010 is on sale from 25th June. Long haul launched a few weeks ago.

transwede
19th Jun 2009, 08:58
Are Thomas Cook Holidays offering any long haul departures from NCL next year? If TCX are 25 June, the TUI group and other tour operators can't be far behind, but I would hazard a guess to say there will be limited expansion in terms of frequency and routes.

fl dutchman
19th Jun 2009, 09:49
Thomson NCL to Florida, Mexico and Dom Rep for 2010 been on sale for a few weeks now. However there seems to be NO Thomas Cook longhaul yet from NCL, ie Monarch SFB in 2010

Jamesair
19th Jun 2009, 16:53
FL Dutchman

I see that tomorrows Limoge flybe service is operating via Rennes as you firstly pointed out.

fl dutchman
19th Jun 2009, 21:53
Jamesair

FLYBE, Yes I think that happens for a few weeks then the Rennes stops, and is only available via a connection at SOU. The Limoges then seems to continue to operate direct both ways. Looks like poor bookings is perhaps the problem??

Sam Chipperfield
21st Jun 2009, 14:43
Does anybody know if Newcastle Airport will be getting all the aircraft for the Airshow this year like last year???

fl dutchman
21st Jun 2009, 19:29
What has happened to the Turkish flights with OHY?, I know Scottravel went under and expect their flights not to operate. However the the ones they shared with other operators
ie Holidays 4u and the ones exclusivley on behalf of Holidays 4u, are they still flying?.

transwede
22nd Jun 2009, 10:50
The only ones which have stopped operating are the former Saga Airlines/Viking charters on thu, fri and saturday evenings. All others continue to operate as they were chartered by different tour operators. In fact 2 additional OHY flights will start within the next few weeks.

HH6702
22nd Jun 2009, 13:41
Anybody seen any of the holiday brochures yet?

I would expect to see more flights to turkey and egypt and less to eurozone places
Due to the exchange rates but could be wrong!

Sam Chipperfield
24th Jun 2009, 12:13
Just Heard That all the Aircraft for the Airshow 09 will be based at Newcastle again :)

ReadyToGo
24th Jun 2009, 14:50
Who handles all the airshow traffic?

ReadyToGo
24th Jun 2009, 14:52
Oh and as for Turkish Charters, the Viking/Saga flights seem to still be operating. Driving past the airport in the early hours today a brightly painted Viking 737 went overhead. I'm guessing this was one of the Holidays4u charters that was formerly shared with ScotTravel

Could be wrong, and expect to be corrected though!

RTG!

_ShIfTy_
24th Jun 2009, 14:55
It was Samson, but now I think it's Gate.

ShIfTy.

SWBKCB
24th Jun 2009, 17:08
The Viking was nothing to do with the Turkish flights but one of the occasional series of one-off holidays (Newmarket?), this time to Innsbruck (similar to the Verona recently).

fl dutchman
24th Jun 2009, 17:49
Dont think all are operating, no flight to Bodrum last Mon

transwede
24th Jun 2009, 18:22
OHY do not have a BJV service on a monday yet, it may operate during peak season. Additional services will start on tuesdays operated by Onur Air (OHY) and Turkuaz Airlines.

HH6702
24th Jun 2009, 18:38
any more info on the above times and days of operation

sam1993
24th Jun 2009, 18:58
any more info on the above times and days of operation

This is a charter flight for Goldtrail Holidays which operates on a Tuesday. The flight times are as follows:

Depart Dalaman 18.00 and arrive Newcastle 20.30 as TRK423
Depart Newcastle 21.55 and arrive Dalaman 04.15 as TRK424

Hope this helps! :ok:
Sam

transwede
24th Jun 2009, 19:48
Operated by Turkuaz Airlines on A320 equipment.

HH6702
24th Jun 2009, 20:32
hi thanks for that info for the turkish flights.

summer charter holidays go on sale tomorrow morning. ive been to a few travel agents this afternoon but no one has the brochures yet or if they have they wouldnt give me one.

im at work until 5pm tomorrow so will collect on way home and post anything which is new or anything that we have lost unless someone gets there before me.

:ok:

HH6702
24th Jun 2009, 20:39
sorry guys had to post this one

With VS ordering 10 A330's what are the chances of them starting any flights from NCL???

THe aircraft would be the right size for NCL flights!!!

Ops Guy
24th Jun 2009, 20:48
I can't believe you've actually asked that question.

ReadyToGo
24th Jun 2009, 22:54
With absolutely no evidence to back me up... I think its safe to say we will see a new foreign carrier connect to NCL before we see VS, BA, BMI or any other UK based carrier start long haul. (When the market improves of course..)

American once talked of a NCL service, and Continental have a few regional UK 757 ops already...

Its a safe bet that we will only see VS at NCL on a divert!

RTG!

CentreFix25
25th Jun 2009, 06:02
Got to agree with the previous two, not a chance.

ash666
25th Jun 2009, 07:16
Has no-one mentioned this?

Panic on unbalanced jet | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2496208/Panic-on-unbalanced-jet.html)

sunshine79
25th Jun 2009, 08:17
Was it the Mint Airways a/c or a TCX a/c?

ash666
25th Jun 2009, 08:22
Not sure myself.

transwede
25th Jun 2009, 09:28
Mint Airways 757 jet operating sub charter for TCX - it hit the headlines all over the country, a previous posting has been locked on a different thread.

757 Speedbrakes
25th Jun 2009, 11:22
The way the Sun has reported it would have it seem that passengers would have to constantly 'move' around the cabin to counteract every pitch change. :ugh:

Unfortunately, the report doesn't say which cargo door was stuck but I would imagine that it would be the rear hold as this would cause more of a 'mass and balance' issue, leading to too much of a forward C of G.

It has hapenned to me once before when flying NCL - LBA - CMF, when some bright spark thought a good way of seperating pax and baggage was to load all the NCL pax and baggage in the forward cabin and the forward hold to make things 'easier' when we got to LBA. It wasn't pleasent having to ask the loaders to unload the front hold and reload the rear hold a 4 in the morning :ouch:

Just for info we would of just been safe in the limit on the original load but didn't want to take the risk, even though the airline uses much tighter C of G index's than Boeing standard.

On a different note: VS in NCL, theres more chance of EK putting a 777 here!!

JKKne
25th Jun 2009, 12:03
Recieved my Direct Holidays brochure this morning and it has a couple of the Malaga flights down as being operated by TCX/BD

Whilst all of MME's operations (well, 2 flights) are down as being operated by BD

TCX leasing in some of Lufthansa finest? :p

sunshine79
25th Jun 2009, 12:26
This year's AGP flight is the same. It's operated by BD for a short while, then back to TCX. I'm sure it's a W flight too.

airhumberside
25th Jun 2009, 12:28
Looks like both the TCX and BD AGP flights next summer are w patterns from MAN

As for MME, Thomas Cook brochure shows TCX operating MME-REU themselves. bmi just doing Palma

transwede
25th Jun 2009, 18:04
Is it only Thomas Cook on sale for next year or have TUI also released their programme for sale? When flights are listed, bear in mind that sometimes operators just display rough estimates for times etc based on the current seasons programme. More confirmed schedules are not really sorted until October/November.

airhumberside
26th Jun 2009, 12:36
TUI on sale too

transwede
26th Jun 2009, 18:04
Just had a little browse through Summer 2010 stuff on both TCX and TUI websites - nothing new,the odd flight changes, but much the same as this year, although can't seem to book anything with TCX for Santorini or Florida.

fl dutchman
26th Jun 2009, 20:48
From rumours I have heard TOM basing 3 aircraft next year but TCX planning only 2 (reduced frequency on Spanish routes)????. Also no MON to SFB. But on the positive side TOM doing MEXICO, ORLANDO and DOM REP again.

Anyone know more?

ConstantFlyer
26th Jun 2009, 22:14
It might seem far-fetched now, but unlike BA, VS does serve long-haul seasonal routes from MAN (Orlando 9 x a week by 744 and Barbados 2 x by 343) and GLA (Orlando 2 x by 744). With A330s giving greater flexibility to the fleet, why not? There would probably be other UK airports considered before NCL, with Orlando and Barbados more likely destinations than New York. Maybe...

HH6702
26th Jun 2009, 23:12
big drop in flights and pax numbers if TCX reduce back to 2 aircraft.

somehow i think that this information is wrong unless bookings have really stopped for this year and the planes are going out empty.

the holiday brochures have only just been printed over the last few weeks and put on sale on thursday!

which flights do you think will be dropped?

unless we go back to 2 aircraft base and the spanish routes operate into ncl as (w's)??

sunshine79
26th Jun 2009, 23:17
They might release more destinations in their second edition brochures. Some brochures aren't out yet. Manos and Panorama's first edition brochures come out when the mainstream brochures are releasing their second editions.

Travel Agent
27th Jun 2009, 07:24
Thomson have added Kefalonia, Skiathos and Santorini for next summer.

Ringwayman
27th Jun 2009, 11:09
VS's MAN routes are year-round; all the blurb with thier 787 order indicated that LHR, LGW and MAN would be where they'd be basing them. GLA's routes are tied in with the Scottish school holidays - invariably MAN would lose one Orlando service for the GLA service to be operated. NCL (and other UK airports) may getting an elaborate W-pattern service to Orlando, but would think GLA is where they'd go to next (not to say that 1 unit there may split it's time with NCL)

transwede
27th Jun 2009, 13:10
TCX will be maintaining their current 3 aircraft at NCL for next summer (3 Boeing 757). Their additional flights this year are doing well, as are charters by TUI. Remember there was a large charter void left when XL went down.

TUI will be taking an allocation for Skiathos and Kefalonia on TCX flights, can't find anything available on Thomson website for Santorini?!

fl dutchman
27th Jun 2009, 22:24
Yes looks like my info incorrect. 3 TCX aircraft for 2010

skyman771
2nd Jul 2009, 09:55
Is current hot weather spell ( >25 degrees) putting pressure on Emirates LF’s ? A330.200 at MTOW, S/L & 15 degrees then 2,220M is a minimum, presumably well over 2,300M at 30 degrees ? Unlikely to be much of a breeze to assist.

Guest 112233
2nd Jul 2009, 13:19
Is this a general limitation at airports with shorter Rwys EG LBA,NCL & BHX when we have a sustained period of Hot Weather ? One for the LH ops guys from smaller fields. On a perminant basis, will warmer summers' actually affect LH ops

CAT III

maxtoon
3rd Jul 2009, 09:49
might accelerate the need for the extension at the 25' threshold !

Ops Guy
3rd Jul 2009, 13:04
No chance :E :E

Jamesair
4th Jul 2009, 10:03
New Channel Islands start-up, Channel Connect. launching in November includes Newcastle as one of its planned destinations. It plans a fleet of 12 aircraft and will operate from Jersey and Guernsey.

source - Airliner World.

sunshine79
6th Jul 2009, 14:46
What's going on with the LHR flights today? I noticed the BA1326, as it is delayed by 5hrs 40 mins? Wouldn't it be just as quick to coach them to NCL?

mmeteesside
6th Jul 2009, 15:48
Try the weather :) Massive delays due to thunderstorms.

nclops
6th Jul 2009, 22:46
BA1326 delayed due to tech problems before leaving LHR.

geordiejet
7th Jul 2009, 11:51
Apparently it was a full A321 so they could not send them up on a spare 320. And no other A321s or 757s spare so they had to grin and bear it. Heck of a delay :ok:

EGNT
7th Jul 2009, 14:10
Whilst on the topic of BA, they brought one of their 767-300ER's up to NCL last week on the late evening flight...anyone know if it was because of pax numbers or tech a.c?

nclops
7th Jul 2009, 22:48
The reason the 763 was in was either due to crewing or tech (i think it was a crewing issue though). It definetly wasn't due to pax numbers as both sectors could have been handled by a 320 (think it was about 150 in and 50 out)

Sam Chipperfield
9th Jul 2009, 11:40
Just looked on this months timetable, should b a 4th A319 based up here from this month.

transwede
9th Jul 2009, 18:11
Thomson Holidays are opening up NCL to Kos for next summer, a new destination for the group for NCL in addition to previously announced routes and the re-introduction of PUJ.

Sam Chipperfield
11th Jul 2009, 10:45
Does anybody no when the 4th A319 due here, its says on the monthly timetable it should already be here, but its still a 737?

simonwa
13th Jul 2009, 21:25
What is with all the already announced EZY delays for tomorrow (Tuesday)?

EZY6425 06:00 PALMA DELAYED 09:40
EZY6481 09:40 NICE DELAYED 11:30
EZY6431 12:55 PALMA DELAYED 16:20
EZY6407 16:10 MALAGA DELAYED 17:15

How do they know these delays already? Tech problems with one aircraft?

Any reason why the MLA flight today was over 3 hours late?

GrahamK
13th Jul 2009, 21:32
simonwa,

The French aren't on strike tomorrow are they?

DL93
13th Jul 2009, 21:54
All of the easyjet delays are due flight deck shortages, there will be a further delay to the late BFS which ops on the end of the 2nd PMI problems today also with the MLA & early afternoon BRS,

Jamesair
13th Jul 2009, 21:59
According to the JET2 website, summer 2010 flights are available for booking....NCL flights don't seem to have been uploaded into the system yet.

anyone know when this will happen? and is there anything new next year?

The Flying Stool
13th Jul 2009, 22:18
I went on a Northern lights sight seeing flight from Newcastle in March last year. They generally occur in March and November. When we travelled it was in a Jet2 737 but I believe they have used other aircraft and operators in the past. The evening usually begins with an hours briefing with an astronomer before heading over to to the airport to check in for the flight. During the flight, ALL lights are turned off, (including Nav lights and strobes etc). The flight heads up to just north of the Shetland Islands and flies gentle figure eights before heading home. The whole flight lasts around 3 hours and gets back into newcastle at round midnight. Don't worry if when you check in if you don't get a window seat, everyone is rotated around regularly throughout the flight.

Hope that has cleared a few things up for you.

Adam

Jamesair
14th Jul 2009, 21:36
The CAA pax figures for June are a mixed bag with Dubai up 8% on last June and Gatwick with a good rise, Heathrow rises, Stansted falls (with flight reductions) and Dublin meets the same fate. Several holiday routes have situations where the Charter element has fallen and the scheduled route has an increase in pax.

Jamesair
15th Jul 2009, 12:32
Just been reading a report allegedly from the "Sunday Sun" about 180 pax removed from a BA Heathrow flight on Saturday after the aircraft went tech.
The aircraft was a 747.....surely that can't be correct.

nclops
15th Jul 2009, 14:55
Nah, dodgy reporting as usual. Aircraft was an A321.

Jamesair
21st Jul 2009, 21:26
Amongst other destinations, OXFORD airport is said to be discussing with airlines is a daily (weekdays) flight to NCL.

source: Oxford Post

andrewmcharlton
21st Jul 2009, 22:38
and the purpose of daily flights to Oxford is what?

SWBKCB
22nd Jul 2009, 06:00
Make a few bob carrying passengers? It's a bigger city than Exeter with a larger, more prosperous catchment area.

Jamesair
22nd Jul 2009, 08:29
There could be quite a bit of business traffic, hi- tech and otherwise, Oxford is not very easy to get to from Ncl. Sort of route that might just suit an Eastern J41.

deltahotel9
22nd Jul 2009, 12:54
I agree this would be a good route for Eastern, having done this trip regularly the 4.5 hours on a train is not great! It is however possible to get return trips for under £100, Eastern would probably want at least twice that, therefore to make flying a cost effective alternative it would need to be twice daily with good times to allow a full days work and remove the need for an overnight stay.

CentreFix25
29th Jul 2009, 08:12
Ryanair musn't see NCL as an attractive proposition, I would have thought with all of these new TFS routes this Winter a once weekly would have worked. No mention of the Toon thus far.

apaul
29th Jul 2009, 08:47
That's because the planes are still going to be based in Prestwick, Bristol, Birmingham etc.

Jamesair
29th Jul 2009, 09:50
Jet 2 already serve these airports except Gran Canaria which it dropped

CentreFix25
29th Jul 2009, 16:31
I was under the impression aircraft would have been based in TFS, apparently not. I don't think competition from Jet2 would have influenced any decision.

Jamesair
29th Jul 2009, 21:45
Looks like Eastern stop NCL - IOM on Sun 24th August. They are apparently closing their IOM base and ceasing all flights to and from the island.

757 Speedbrakes
30th Jul 2009, 18:21
Ryanair to TFS................:confused:

Surely that would mean actually flying to TFS and not going to an airport 50 miles away from the advertised destination :eek:

Wait, there's still TFN or maybe even SPC (La Palma) with a ferry crossing to Santa Cruz and then a coach journey!!

fl dutchman
31st Jul 2009, 22:52
Looks like the last departure to LHR and the last inbound from LHR are cancelled during November and December.
Seems the same for other BA domestics in and out of LHR.

This despite NCL - LHR showing passenger growth at the moment!.

Jamesair
1st Aug 2009, 16:38
It is temporary reduction. They seem to be back up to 6 daily in 2010.

ISLE OF MAN....I wonder if there is a market here for Flybe or Manx 2 to take over the route?

HH6702
2nd Aug 2009, 18:17
See there are rumours going around that FR is to base
3 aircraft at a new uk base from october

3 airports have been shortlisted which people are saying ncl/dtv is one of them

This could be really good news for ncl if they can pull a deal with fr!!

maxtoon
2nd Aug 2009, 18:31
hmm ..

I think there would be too much competition at NCL so DTV may be seen as a better bet ...

HH6702
2nd Aug 2009, 18:40
Dtv can't keep a route from fr year round.

Dublin has now been dropped altogether and alicante and gerona will end
At the end of october. What routes could work year round from dtv?

Think ncl will have the upper hand over dtv!

apaul
2nd Aug 2009, 18:59
Is Ryanair's record from NCL much better? Oslo and Bergamo dropped, Girona not timetabled after October and Dublin reduced in frequency. Is going after fickle Ryanair with a very cheap offer worth upsetting Easyjet, Jet2 and the charter airlines? DTV, on the other hand, has nothing to lose and it would make more sense for them to make a very atttractive offer.

cym
2nd Aug 2009, 19:06
or CWL? Just to get rid of Baby? Just a thought....

Ops Guy
3rd Aug 2009, 12:53
We already have Jet 2, easy and the popular charter operators from Newcastle fighting for passengers. There is no way Ryanair are going to set up a base here. In my opinion there isn't the demand to fill 189 seaters and in the current climate. Wasn't the Dublin reduced because of the tax the Irish government were slapping on tourists ?????

Doubt the management would want them basing here and slashing there costs and forcing the other locos out. If there is going to be any expansion my money will be on Flybe ;)

ReadyToGo
9th Aug 2009, 14:07
Manx2 are advertising NCL already. Will be interesting to see some aircraft variation!

Anyone know if this was a subsidised route? Did eastern lose a subsidy to manx2, or simply didnt it make financial sense, and Manx2 are giving it a go?

RTG!

ConstantFlyer
9th Aug 2009, 16:34
I don't think the Manx government subsidises routes, though it does own Ronalsway Airport. I'd imagine manx2.com is doing this on an entirely commercial basis.

IOMspotter
10th Aug 2009, 06:06
IOM is open skys so no subsidy from anyone here for anything.:) Manx2 took up Easterns old LBA route and look to have made that work. 12 pax on their 19 seaters seems to work but 12 pax on a j41 is horrid.

Hope you guys will enjoy the Metros Do228s and L410s :ok:. I'm betting the timetable is back to match Easterns next March

fl dutchman
10th Aug 2009, 13:14
The complete programme up to the end of June is now released and it is a 5 aircraft base at the moment. I know its 6 aircraft now but was it 5 up to the end of June this year as well?.

On another subject there are no Toronto flights available for Summer 2010 for the first time in many years.

sunshine79
10th Aug 2009, 13:51
I'm suprised about TS pulling out of NCL. What are the loads like on the flight?

Jamesair
10th Aug 2009, 16:42
Winter 09/10 charter timetable is now available on the airport website. There seems to be a healthy increase in the fly/cruise programme this year.

sunshine79
10th Aug 2009, 19:45
Wow, that's a lot of cruise flights. My suspicions were confirmed for my folks cruise flight, TOM B767. I hope it's a FCA a/c they fly on, may have a bit more room than the normal TOM a/c.

Jamesair
11th Aug 2009, 10:18
On the last page of the Winter Timetable it lists Jet 2 as flying to GRENOBLE but this does not appear in their timetable. Any comments?

aeulad
11th Aug 2009, 10:27
Ryanair have gone to LBA. NCL has so much more potential, and more unserved destinations that could have worked. Very surprised this has happened.

Regards

MIke

apaul
11th Aug 2009, 10:32
Having tried and failed to get a flight from NCL to Paphos in early December, I'm not sure the Winter Timetable is entirely accurate. With Ryanair muscling in on Jet2 at Leeds there might be a possibilty of a couple of extra Jet2 routes from Newcastle next summer rather than taking on Ryanair head-on. Krakow? Venice? But I doubt they will add anything for the winter.

GrahamK
11th Aug 2009, 10:37
If we see any Jet2 expansion for next summer at NCL, my guess would be Larnaca or Paphos, Dalaman and possibly Sharm El Sheikh becoming year round.

ncleflights
11th Aug 2009, 15:29
Did anyone at NCL actually expect to get FR. I always thought that the NE FR base would go to either LBA or MME. MME because they are desperate and would give FR what they wanted to get in and LBA because again they were more likely to come up with the right deal.

I really think we need to ask the the question as to whether DL is up to the job of running NCL, as on his watch the airport has faired a lot worse than others of a similar size in UK, look at how the likes of Bristol or Liverpool continue to attract new routes and airlines. He appears to have worked all his life for the top job just to realise he cant actually do it.

Ops Guy
11th Aug 2009, 16:40
As I said earlier on in this thread, there was no way Ryanair were going to set up a base at Newcastle. We already have easy, Jet 2 and Flybe. Having Ryanair base here would flood the market with too much capacity for not enough demand. DL probably already knows this and didn't even look to attract Ryanair. I could see Jet 2 being :mad: off with Ryanair moving in on there patch at LBA.

ncleflights. Yes I do think DL is up to the job. Now if you work for NIAL then you will know exactly the reasosns as to why I'm saying he is. These are very difficult times. Don't forget Newcastle won the 3rd TCX 757 for the summer competing against every other regional airport in the country and we are still continuing to do well in the these difficult times. I'm sure new airlines and routes will appear as and when demand returns ;)

elshiftsman
12th Aug 2009, 00:28
Jet2 are looking to make big moves into NCL, transan with a newish 757 as LBA is currently not suitable in the current economic climate and this info coming from a reliable source. JFK/SSH regular flights on the cards coming up, short haul not so secure as Jet2 worried about interest in the developments at CAX with FR and GSM showing interest in flying for free from the airport when developed.

SWBKCB
12th Aug 2009, 05:56
If Jet2 are worried about FR and GSM going into CAX they're in more trouble than I thought - CAX is not aiming for that market and will not be capable of taking 737's and the like on "bucket and spade" flights

CentreFix25
12th Aug 2009, 07:23
LBA is currently not suitable in the current economic climate I would have thought both are in the same economic climate - recession.

ncleflights
12th Aug 2009, 18:28
I cant see any expansion from any of the current major players at NCL including jet2, not given the current recession and the fact ncle seems to be fairing worse that other UK airports of a similar size. Just look at how ncle is falling, based of pax figures, in the league table of UK airports.

Opsguy - what evidence do you have that DL and the rest of the management team at NCL are up to the job? On his 'watch' weve lost more routes and seen a bigger drop in pax figures than similar sized airports in the UK and what new services has he managed to bring in? This is reflected in yet another delay in the opening of the new hotel as the current rapid decline means that their aint enough people to warrant it opening.

Now with Ryanair based to the North of us in Edinburgh and South of us at Leeds this squeeze in pax figures will continue.

Jamesair
12th Aug 2009, 23:18
NCL has gained new routes to Split, Malta, Sharm-el-Sheik and Shannon (short lived I know)

neil_2008
13th Aug 2009, 08:01
FR have a habit of looking to directly compete (undercut) on routes with other locos and full service carriers, look at the new routes from LBA, nine of them will be run in direct competition with Jet2 who up to now have had pretty much a free run down there.

How fiercely FR will go with the cost cutting is yet to be seen but it will certainly seem more attractive for Jet2 to operate in what has been up to now an almost competition free environment, like here at NCL. Appreciate there are other carriers but many of the routes are high load factor and there isn't the aggresive anti competitor stance we have seen in the past from FR. Jet2's other bases are already served by other carriers and I see NCL being ripe for expansion, especially to the non bucket and spade places.

I think this move seeing FR basing at LBA will in fact benefit NCL greatly in the months to come (well next summer season anyway).

Montreal-Dubai
14th Aug 2009, 12:56
Hiya, yes I totally agree with you and also Opsguy above. Newcastle is still doing well with what its got. I fly fairly regularly through NCL and the load factors are generally, always very strong indeed. I think its much better for future growth to have this period of consolidation now and to use it as a basis to grow again. I dont know whether having FR as a base is very healthy at the moment. They seem far to fickle and if they dont get what they want, they then threaten all sorts of corporate hell and damnation!! Look at what they are doing at STN and DUB. I would hate to think we would be in a situation of having nothing but FR operating from an airport, they could hold the authorities to ranson and the travelling public. At least we have proper scheduled links to major primary hubs, a bit of low cost, and a healthy charter operation year round. Its makes things far more interesting, and its far better having the EK service for instance than lots of little LCC routes to unknown airfields which overtime may not be sustainable. Bristol and Liverpool have still lost an awful lot of routes too, and I dont think Liverpool has much charter activity at all! I checked their website recently and its all lowcost and the KLM route, thats it. A far cry from when they had Thomson there and the GSM Newyork flight. Everywhere is going through a lul at the moment and we just have to grit and bare it, by maintaining what we have already here at Newcastle will bode well for the future, I am sure. :)

apaul
14th Aug 2009, 16:03
There are airports worse off than Newcastle, but it's optimistic to say that the airport is holding on to what it has. That's largely true of the bucket and spade and domestic routes, but the airport is not doing well re Central and Eastern Europe and Scandinavia is back down to Stavanger. It also does not appear to be able to report July's figures to the CAA. That's shoddy work by someone.

ncleflights
14th Aug 2009, 19:21
Montrel-Dubai - what a load of rubbish I suggest you check your dictionary for the word 'consoliodation'. What we have at NCL is a management team with the lack of vision to get the routes we need. Whilst Liverpool and Bristol have lost routes in the past couple of years like Newcastle these have been more than replaced by new ones a situation which has not happened at Newcastle. While Newcastle may have gained scheduled services to Split, Malta and Sharm-el-Sheik we have lost, totally, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Valencia and seen massive reductions in frequencies to Cork, Dublin, Hanover, Pisa and Stansted

apaul - agree with you there are airports worse off than NCL but we are heading that way unless NCL management get their fingers out. We are to reliant on the bucket and spade routes. Just look at the number of routes we have to Spain a country like the UK deep in recesion, however we are served with bad links to France and Germany, the first of the European countries to emerge from recession. This is not only bad for the airport but also the wider regional economy.

Jamesair
14th Aug 2009, 20:53
On a more positive note....FLYBE Winter Timetable

Southampton increases from 3 to 4 flights daily Tues to Fri till Feb then 4 x daily Wed - Fri with 3 daily Mon and latterly Tues.

Jersey NEW winter route at 3 x weekly. (W/F/Su)

Belfast City 2x daily M - F...1 x daily Sa/Su

Exeter 1 x Daily

Cardiff 3 x weekly (Th/F/Su)

Gatwick 4 x daily M - Fr 2x Sa 3x Su reducing to 3 xM/Tu in Jan/Feb increasing back to 4 in March..2 x Sa 2x Su back up to 3 in March

fl dutchman
14th Aug 2009, 21:54
nclflights

Dont forget loss of Oslo and Milan. Also reduced frequency on AMS, plus LHR reduced during May, Aug, Nov and Dec by one rotation per day. Not forgeting no Toronto from Summer 2010 and Orlando from two to once a week also in 2010. ( Will Split and Pisa still be here next year?)

I realise times are tough at the moment but I cannot see why the likes of Prague, Krakow, Milan etc could not have been kept going on a reduced frequency. I reckon there is still a significant demand out there.

Has the annual pax nos now dropped below 5 million.

It seems to be mainly downhill now and I dont want to say it but has the change in management co incided with the decline. In contrast look whats happened at LBA.

I really hope that the steady decline can be halted soon and growth resumed. Come on Fly Be, and others.

Jamesair
14th Aug 2009, 22:14
Didn't the CEO move to Leeds/Bradford?

andrewmcharlton
14th Aug 2009, 22:20
Yes he did and I seem to remember a number of posters slagging him royally when he did.

Fl Dutchman - you hit the nail on the head, what you think is clearly not what the airlines do. The routes have been cut because they're not the most profitable and can't be sustained. Bucket and spades are what sells so get used to it.

Krakow is never going to be a full load daily, Milan was actually Bergamo and Prague is weekend trips and stag parties. None of them appeal to a core business community so they have a short shelf life.

It's like all aspects of business, when people have cash to splash the routes will be there, otherwise its going to suffer.

Jamesair
14th Aug 2009, 22:51
Just been looking at the July pax stats...the ones that are available....LHR +10%
LGW +8% and ABZ +24% most down but a few not available yet. None of the International figures for NCL are out yet.

fl dutchman
15th Aug 2009, 10:31
I agree that the likes of Prague and Krakow will not produce daily full loads like it used to, but I would have thought a frequency of 2 or 3 per week would be sustainable a bit like Rome and Malta. However as you say obviously the airlines dont seem to think so.

LHR 10% growth. Yet frequency cuts on the route? ?

Trying to be positive though, charters seem to be doing quite well this year.

northumberlandairway
15th Aug 2009, 11:47
I am personally not too worried that Ryanair didn't choose NCL as a base as I believe it would have a negative knock on effect on the other airlines based here; however I fail to understand how they seem totally unwilling to fly TO NCL from their current bases. There is a market there, perhaps not for daily flights but at least 3 or 4 rotations a week.

BGY was successful despite shocking timings, and I understand the route was cut as they wanted to send the plane to Manchester instead. NCL is still massively underserved when it comes to Germany and should Ryanair ever open a base in Eastern Europe then any route planner worth his or her salt could see that NCL could justify a few flights a week.

fl dutchman
15th Aug 2009, 12:11
Ryanair ending the Girona at end of summer. So only Dublin left with poor timings etc.

Jamesair
15th Aug 2009, 14:31
Strange to understand the Ryanair logic for Newcastle with bergamo,Gerona, Dublin, Shannon etc.

With Hanover ending in October, Dusseldorf will be the only german route left, albeit with a good twice daily frequency, unless the management is talking to Air Berlin or better still Lufthansa to introduce more routes. At one stage Flybe said it was keen to serve german routes out of Newcastle.

I note the routes conference will be held in China in September, maybe something will come out of that. The airport usually has a stand.

Heathrow....the figure for July 09 is 44,296 as opposed to July 08 at 41,047

andrewmcharlton
15th Aug 2009, 15:31
Insofar as Germany is concerned Dusseldorf works because it serves business flyers. All the others bomb because they can't sustain long term traffic. Frankfurt is the only one which would be a success but slots aren't available.

Face facts, the other routes are either crap timings or leisure routes only. Shannon was only put on to drive Aer Arran off Galway and thats FR all over in Irish destinations. As soon as they were out of the picture it got canned.

fl dutchman
15th Aug 2009, 22:26
andrewmcharlton

Are you saying that other than bucket and spade, leisure routes wont work?.

andrewmcharlton
15th Aug 2009, 22:35
Not at all, but if nobody has any money to spend on the "non bucket and spade" leisure routes, national carriers reducing even previously profitable routes and the train, car, bus or stay at home alternatives being important to many its clear that the other routes struggle.

Typically they start either daily or 3/4 a week and shortly everyone in the limited catchment area who can use it has done so and then the revenue dries up. So the merry go round continues.

ReadyToGo
15th Aug 2009, 23:39
Interesting comments regarding leisure routes that aren't bucket and spade and German routes.

I may be biased (having just returned from there) but I think Munich could work. Decent connectivity to the LH network, good "city break" leisure destination, and a gaping hole on the NCL route map. Anyone know if the UK has any military bases there also?

If SN can support a daily Brussels connection , with poor timing for connections, (When AMS isn't too far away with superior frequency and connections) surely someone could make a go of this.

ReadyToGo

andrewmcharlton
15th Aug 2009, 23:45
But hasn't Munich been tried and failed? HLX ran it off and on for a couple of years and the figures weren't great.

Unless it was operated by Lufthansa then connections are not easy and NCL will not even be on their radar given the other priority destinations for business use.

Frankfurt is the holy grail as its Lufthansa's main hub but as I said there is a scarcity of slots and same applies, can NCL justify it over other destinations?

ReadyToGo
15th Aug 2009, 23:53
I'm not sure Andrewm, I have only been flying out of NCL over the last year or so.

Just when I was there, I thought it ticked a fair few of the boxes required to sustain decent loads. Especially compared to the seemingly successful BRU flights.

Problem is of course, who could operate it. The market for connections requires high-frequency with LH, whereas the leisure market requires low fares that I doubt LH could offer on a CRJ or similar...

Either way, its a huge hole in the network, there are only seasonal Innsbruck flights that go anywhere near southern Germany!

RTG!

apaul
16th Aug 2009, 08:52
I think HLX only ran Cologne and Munich for less than a year in 2005. And despite less marketing than a British lo-cost would use it did get two or three times the numbers going to Dusseldorf for each route. Easyjet also got high numbers to Berlin until it messed around with the schedule and cancelled lots of flights. People do want to travel from NCL to Germany, and did so in much greater numbers when there were good services in 2005. Whether they are willing to pay high enough fares to make much money is another question.

northumberlandairway
16th Aug 2009, 12:04
apaul is absolutely right, there is indeed room for development in Germany. In 2005 I flew to MUC, SXF and CGN and was impressed by the number of passengers flying. Admittedly it was the summer but they were midweek flights.

If HAJ-NCL had been a complete money loser for TUI wouldn't they have cut the route altogether? Let's face it Hannover is by no means one of Germany's big five cities. Additionally, didn't LH say earlier in the year that they were delighted with NCL and may eventually grow a bit more at the airport?

NCL does indeed rely a lot on the bucket and spade routes and there is nothing wrong with that. But NCL can also happily justify having scheduled routes to LHR, LGW, AMS, BRU, CDG, DXB and DUS and so it is much more than just a bucket and spade hub.

There is no doubt that daily flights would probably be unsustainable but I am sure 4 a week would be manageable. Let's hope that AB or LH realise that flights to NCL could be profitable or that EZ realise that fooling around with SXF was a big mistake.

Jamesair
16th Aug 2009, 23:22
I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a sizeable inbound market from Germany to Newcastle.

Montreal-Dubai
17th Aug 2009, 13:56
Yup totally agree with yourself and apaul. I flew on the HLX CGN route when it operated, and loads were always good, funnily enough most pax were Germans so there must be demand from both ends.

I now use LH to Dus now and the 2 x daily schedule is brilliant! Again really good loads. LH are defo pleased with this route, I know they have mentioned that it could be used as springboard for some new routes in the future, but it could be a long way off.

In the meantime I wish BE would look at expanding their base, as they too have earmarked potential German routes. Hopefully, Hanover will continue, its operated for years now, dont know whether Air Berlin are in the frame seeing as though they have absorbed TUI. If not it would be a very good starter for BE as they already have a presence there from SOU and BHX.

We shall see eh?:)

ncleflights
17th Aug 2009, 14:13
Jamesair - just to pick ip on your earlier point yes the privious CEO did move to LBA, I wont mention his name as it always seems to cause a fair amout of abuse. However what he did for the airport was tremendous under his management the airport grew and we gained Emirates, Easyjet, a few Ryanair services and Jet2. Once he left and DL took charge weve gained nothing and lost a great deal he has failed royaly in his job and I would point out again, that in my opinion, he is just not up to the job.

On the issue of Ryanair they do appear to like to use NCL as a 'aircraft filler' for a season or so then move on somewhere else. Both Oslo and Milan had very good loads despite bad flight times. Milan near its end was especially bad when it came to flight timings. So I belive a few routes from Ryanair would work.

On the subject of Easyjet the loads again were good to the likes of Berlin, until has been mentioned they started messing around with times and if a delay appeared in the timetable then Berlin was the route that got the aircraft pulled. I personally had this happen to me on a couple of occasions. With Prague the route was one of the first for Easyjet from NCL and did well from the start and still pulled in good pax figures up to the end. I believe that a less frequent service of 2 or 3 times per week would work. Another route which no one has mentioned is Budapest, Easyjet only gave this one a season and no time for the route to grow I seem to recall good pax figures despite apalling flight times.

No doubt as to where the big hole is in the NCL route network thats France, Germany and the growing economies of Eastern Europe especially Poland. With reagrds to Krakow I believe that Easyjet learned from Ryanair on this one and only did the Krakow route to drive Jet2 off the route and once they had then pulled the route. I can't believe the demand simply dried up in one season.

However the main cause for decline seems to be the airport managements inability to sell the advantages of the airport to airlines. While we are under difficult times during the current recession the decline at NCL seems to be gathering pace and I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

HH6702
17th Aug 2009, 15:09
Looks like that ryanair are to pull all routes from manchester apart from dublin
To other airports ema,lpl and lba. This is because of the airport charges!!

Maybe ncl can have the bgy route back now!!!
Only wishing

neil_2008
17th Aug 2009, 15:23
nclflights - I dont think things are quite as bad as you see them, we are suffering a similar decline as per other regionals. I cant comment on the competence of management though as Im not that close to airport ops but the problem is not NCL specific. Just look at MME for some real problems.

On the route side of things the Budapest certainly ran for more than one season but I think the problem with the eastern destinations is that once evryone in the catchment has done their weekend there the load factors will start to drop off. Saying that the PRG route must have ran for 5yrs+.

Given that we have lost BUD, SXF KRK & PRG (+Hannover shortly) there must be opportunitues for short break destinations in europe. The key is, as others have pointed out is frequency and times, the load factors on the ryanair GRO service and the BGY certainly suffered as a result of unsocial times and then the route was pulled. Same story with Krakow in the end resulting in only a Friday and a Sunday for a weekend away if I recall.

As I have said earlier my money is on Jet2, whom I understand to be nervous about the Ryanair expansion at LBA shifting capacity to NCL to pick up some new routes in the new year. We will see.

757 Speedbrakes
17th Aug 2009, 16:05
As I mentioned on another thread, latest Jet2 rumor from those based at LBA is for 2 x 757's for S10 at NCL with 5 new routes. Not sure which but North Africa and Greek Island routes are the most commonly mentioned.

New routes from MAN added today, Las Palmas, Kos and Venice for S10.

Kev 1
17th Aug 2009, 18:04
Goldtrail holidays are selling the following flights for Summer 2010

Mon CFU ETD0830 ETA1730 EXS526/7
Tues HER ETD08:30 ETA17:30 EXS756/7
Wed KGS ETD08:30 ETA17:30 EXS416/7
Wed RHO ETD08:30 ETA17:30 EXS264/5

Seems to me KGS & HER are two of the rumoured new routes, also could suggest 2x757 as both flights depart at the same time on a Wednesday, however these are provisional times and are subject to change.

They also have the following schedules on sale for 2010

Ibiza (Fri & Sun)
Mahon (Sat)
Palma (Daily)
Malaga (Mon, Thur, Sat & Sun)
Murcia (Daily)

On a Wednesdays, the PMI departs at 07:25 and the MJV at 11:00, so if the times stay the same (if...) then there will be a requirement for 4 aircraft on Wednesdays so far (RHO, KGS, PMI & MJV).

Appreciate things can change but this is the current state of play.

Cheers

Kev

fl dutchman
17th Aug 2009, 18:13
Looks as if the decline is now coming on the BA LHR route. I posted a while ago that the last inbound and outbound to/from LHR are cancelled in Nov and Dec, as well as midday daily reductions this month and last May.

Now in Jan its also down to 5 daily. During Jan after the 9.20am to LHR the next one is nearly 6 hrs later at 15.05.
Coming from LHR after the first 07.25 departure the next one is not until 12.45 over 5 hrs later.
Hardly a good schedule.
I suspect this will also happen from Feb onwards as BA slowly ammend the schedule.

This is despite recent growth on the route, a rare thing these days.

So if the pax nos are down, the route is cut or if the numbers are up the route is also cut!!.

Edit. seems the schedule varys in Jan/early Feb some days the midday service is missing, some days its the last flight ?.

neil_2008
17th Aug 2009, 18:43
Just had it from a good source Jet2 will announce 8 new routes from Newcastle for next season. Press conference next week by all accounts.

transwede
17th Aug 2009, 19:18
So thats HER and KGS new routes, which is the whispers are to be believed leaves 6 to be announced. My guesses are going with VCE, France/Germany, Toronto (to replace TS) and possibly the likes of LCA, PFO or summer services to ACE, LPA etc. Good for Jet2, NCL is a good mix for sunshine mediterranean destinations.

On a separate note, anyone know why TS are pulling NCL after so many years? Flights always seem busy and many seats are bought out by tour operators, as well as direct sales?

fl dutchman
17th Aug 2009, 22:19
NCL-AMS down to 3 X Daily for the winter !!. ( no busy mid morning dep from NCL??)

So thats significant frequency reductions on two of Newcastle's busiest routes. AMS and LHR.

However at the moment AMS showing back to 5 daily from next summer schedule.

EDIT. Looking at aircraft types on AMS there is roughly the same amount of seats available as during summer but with reduced frequency. Unfortunatley the timings could be better. I cannot understand the removal of the mid morning flight to AMS as it is very popular and convenient for onward connections.

The people of NCL are not going to have good connections this winter.

10 DME ARC
18th Aug 2009, 07:49
Just thought I would add my pennies worth with regard to the NCL knockers.
The airline business is not all about numbers of passengers it is about seat factor and yield. Just because the passenger numbers could be high does not mean that an airline will make money if it cannot get a yield and seat factor which cover its costs. It has to get the right mix of seat factor and yield for it to work.
We are in the middle of the worst recession that the airline and airport industry has ever had to deal with – Newcastle’s passenger figure declines are quite respectable in this context – yes routes have been lost and frequencies reduced but this is a result of necessary action by the airlines. Many of them fighting for their survival.
The statistics for the CAA will become available for July and it will be interesting to see how Newcastle compares with other UK airports. In June Newcastle was -9.3%. Belfast International was -14.6%, Blackpool -23.1%, Bournemouth -11.2%, Bristol -11.6%, Cardiff -17.7%, Durham Tees Valley -58.2%, East Midlands -16.4%, Exeter 19.5%, Humberside -32.2%, Leeds/Bradford -10.9%, Liverpool -12.5%, London City -14.3%, Luton -9.7%, Manchester -13.1%, Newquay -18.1%, Norwich -24.0%, Prestwick -26.3%, Stansted -11.5%. A number of these airports enjoy a significant Ryanair presence but are nursing bigger losses than Newcastle. Does that not tell you something? Yes, Leeds/Bradford now has a two aircraft Ryanair base and is claiming this will add 1,000,000 passengers a year to Leeds’s numbers. Well, in the short term it might be able to do that but long term? No way. The UK low cost market is over saturated with capacity and all that the Leeds Ryanair base will do is move passengers around – they will gain some from jet2.com and Manchester and other airports but these will not be new passengers they will be existing passengers and that will mean other airlines will have to cut back to bring supply and demand back into balance – see point above. Winter 2010-11 will see Ryanair operating to the Canaries from Leeds/Bradford – that will not be a positive thing for jet2.com and Thomas Cook, that’s for sure, as all that capacity will be unsustainable long term.
Suggesting that the current CEO is not up to scratch is so far off the mark as to be laughable. Did the previous CEO deliver Dubai? He may have been CEO and he may have been present at the odd meeting or two but the current CEO and his team worked far harder on it, have no doubt about that. Who secured the only additional based aircraft from Thomas Cook this summer? The current CEO and his team. Which airport is campaigning the hardest on the issue of APD increases? – the doubling of which in November 2007 had a disastrous effect upon demand from Newcastle and caused easyjet to cut its capacity? The current CEO and his team.
The airport has been successful in attracting a wide spread of carriers and while the route network is not as wide as anyone would like it to be, it is not for want of trying by the airport. However, they are at the hands of airlines who have the most moveable asset in the world and they will only deploy these resources at Newcastle if that will provide the best return for them. If all the people of the North East want are bucket and spade routes then that is what will be provided. If they want to soak up the cultural experiences that Europe has to offer then that will strengthen the case for routes to major European cities as will a strong desire for travel inbound to the North East but why should someone travel to Newcastle from Europe if they can visit a number of other cities which offer a far richer experience for them? Hannover by the way has worked because of British Forces traffic underpinning the route.
The delay in the CAA figures being available could be down to it being the holiday period. Describing their absence as ‘shoddy work’ is incorrect. Wiktionary gives the following definition for shoddy: exhibiting poor quality, workmanship, design, or construction. Rather than criticise the airport for their absence it might be better to reflect on Newcastle being an airport which is doing its best to provide the North East of England with a sustainable range of services given the region never gets dealt a hand full of aces. If you are picking at the ‘routes tree’ the lowest hanging fruit rarely has Newcastle on it and even more rarely has Durham Tees Valley on it. It does though have an amazing number of scheduled airlines for an airport of its size in the UK