PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

delta154
18th Oct 2011, 15:41
MAN Dubai + 18%

I would expect the Man growth is a lot to do with the A380.

Probably more to do with the 3rd daily flight, as its added around 25% capacity.

GAXLN
18th Oct 2011, 17:03
Skipness One Echo,

Is that a doubting tone I detect in your response? Doubt as much as you like but please do not waste your time doubting this fact. There is a market for a transatlantic operator from Newcastle - as there is for Emirates to Dubai and beyond. Fact. Whether the economic conditions including exchange rates are right for a launch at this moment in time is debateable but the market exists. I have seen the estimates but they are not available for sharing.

JKKne
18th Oct 2011, 17:09
When I last transited through NCL I was talking to a girl in the BA lounge (Swissport) who told me that the AA flight had been pretty solidly booked for 2 weeks when it was dropped and that other business reasons were at play as opposed to poor loads.

I don't see a carrier moving in unless we see some form of low cost expansion airline moving in or a major US business player sets up in North East and can support hub flights, alas with the current US market and the potential of a whole new Government in a years time, I'm not holding out.

Still...whats wrong with Jet2's luxurious seasonal Newark service?! :}

HH6702
18th Oct 2011, 17:21
oopps looks like ive caused a bit of a stir here!!

Thats the point i was trying to make before people from the north east have to travel to other hubs for the long haul flights even though the market is there. Not by choice of the passenger they would love to go direct!

Before EK started people had to travel through amsterdam, paris or heathrow...
I would of thought the US market from northeast would be bigger than dubai.

Im sure some of you will agree that AA sales were good but the fact that it took business away from BA/AA at LHR the flights were canx but also stopping CO lauching at NCL at the same time.

We all think that the airport is talking to the major airlines of america. AA,CO,DL,UA etc...

How about the smaller ones Jet Blue?? werent they in talks with STN a year ago or so about New York flights into STN but nothing happened because yet again AA started the flights there first before dropping STN again...

Looks like AA have a habit of setting up flights to stop others then dropping them..........

What do you think??

JKKne
18th Oct 2011, 17:55
I think jetblue would be wishful thinking, although they have reported a solid earnings increase of late. It doesn't even currently have a capable aircraft of making.

Jetblue makes a profit on doing what it does well, it won't rush to international expansion.

United Continental I don't see.

I think the current US market is too volatile for a risk, and Newcastle would be a risk. To an American exec the drive to Manchester or Edi or the transit to AMS or LHR is probably seen as not a big deal and a bit off putting

HH6702
18th Oct 2011, 18:02
OK lets break this down into rough figures to see what we can come up with.

How many passengers travel per month to the hubs?

LHR
LGW
AMS
CDG
DUS

Out of these monthly figures roughly how many will be transfering onto connecting flights to the USA as a whole??

Then lets split these figures down to daily to see what figure it comes to.
That would then give us a rough guide of the size of aircraft would be needed to operate from NCL.

Skipness One Echo
18th Oct 2011, 18:41
You're assuming you'll get 100% of the available market, you won't. You'll need to add "willing to pay a premium to fly direct" as well. CO dropped BRS as too much FF was still using LHR and BHX has the same issue to this day. Add to that a lot will be Card holders in the "other" alliance then that's a realistic model.

Currock Base
18th Oct 2011, 18:49
HH - I think you are missing the point with the US compared to EK to DXB. DXB is a hub and a destination. Look at the East Coast of the US and this is a lot more tricky. Most people going to the US aren't going to New York they are connecting to somewhere else. If you fly say via LHR you have lots of US options. If you go direct to US from Newcastle the options aren't great:

BOS has limited destinations / frequencies to other places
JFK is a good O&D market, but it has limited connections unless you transfer to LGA (that would be a real pain).
EWR generally limits connections to CO/UA
IAD generally limits you to UA / CO
etc.

Given the choice isn't it easier to make a same terminal connection in LHR, AMS or CDG?

To make a route like this you need a good supply of business class demand and cargo traffic. Does the North East have sufficient daily business demand in addition to holiday makers?

CB

HH6702
18th Oct 2011, 19:10
I know the USA will be a little tricker but im still sure it could work.

With the point taken about EK as a place aswell as a hub anybody know how many passengers transfer onto onwards flights from dubai??

EK is about 12,000 a month how many transfer to another flight somewhere else?

Talking about another airline that looked at NCL a few years ago was PIA? they were chosing between NCL and LBA and LBA got the route.
LBA is close to MAN.

Didnt CO leave BRS due to them now operating from LHR?? if they were not operating from LHR im sure that they would still be at BRS today....

TSR2
18th Oct 2011, 19:17
That would then give us a rough guide of the size of aircraft would be needed to operate from NCL.

On that basis then a Cessna Caravan maybe :ok:

Skipness One Echo
18th Oct 2011, 19:17
Didnt CO leave BRS due to them now operating from LHR?? if they were not operating from LHR im sure that they would still be at BRS today....

Are you being serious? They got more bang for their buck by flying further up the M4 by adding another LHR rotation.

Let me ask, these estimates you have seen proving this market as "fact!", were they done by an independent expert with no link to NCL?

GrahamK
18th Oct 2011, 19:33
Been a while since NYC reared it's ugly head :E

Anyway, in th current environment, with APD, high fuel prices, nobody in their right mind is going to start NCL-NYC flights. It'll be at least 5 years before anyone even considers it, and even thats a long shot.
If the airport needs any routes, it should be looking at the likes of FRA,MUC and CPH, maybe getting BD ER4s ala the BRU route.

Anyhow, September provisional stats:

Gatwick +7%
Heathrow -6%
Brussels + 33%
Paris CDG -4% <--- When do CityJet start on this route?
Dusseldorf +4%
Dublin +6%
Amsterdam +9%
Dubai +2% as already said (84.2% loads based on an A332HD operating all month - back full, and front empty?)

Homo Simpson
18th Oct 2011, 19:35
Too many plane spotters hoping for a new reg!!!!

ncleflights
18th Oct 2011, 19:40
AA were selling well from Newcastle before they pulled the flights, and pulling in passengers very nicely.

I also dont believe we would be having this debate if CO had started first on the route but AA got onto the route first. As they could start the route 8 months before CO had been in discussions to start the route. If CO had been first on the route then I think we would have had a very successful NY route operating for the last few years.

Finally the Britsol example is totally different and should not be used to draw an conclusions as to how a Newcastle service would work.

CentreFix25
18th Oct 2011, 19:40
Most of these 'facts' are made up as they go along, wishful half-cocked thinking, with no inside information and no facts to back them up, little business knowledge and comparisons made with different type of flights to different parts of the world. :ugh:

If various airlines have looked and the demand is there why are there no flights? There are many reasons why we don't and won't have this route.

AA were selling well from Newcastle before they pulled the flights Prove it!

Finally the Britsol example is totally different and should not be used to draw an conclusions as to how a Newcastle service would work. Explain!

GAXLN
18th Oct 2011, 20:28
CentreFix25

Not half-cocked thinking.

ncleflights

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your observations.

Isn't it amazing how the subject of NCL-NYC flights on this forum stirs things up like a hornets nest? There just appear to be Believers or Knockers. Well, time to knock off, as I am a Believer!

Currock Base
18th Oct 2011, 20:40
GLAXN - You're right there are believers and non believers. There are also people who work in the industry and there are spotters. Its fairly easy to figure out from the thread who is in which category. Please don't hold your breath waiting for a scheduled IATA seasonal or year round service.

HH6702
18th Oct 2011, 22:07
Saturday flights been added from saturday 29th october.

info on airport website

good news

Hipennine
19th Oct 2011, 08:08
I know it's not empirical, but just before AA pulled their proposed flights, I had a look at making a booking NCL -YYC. The transatlantic sector showed that I would have had the aircraft entirely to myself and the crew. That's hardly a good indicator that the flights were selling well !

More empirically, for all those comparing a possible Transatlantic with Dubai, don't forget the very high importance attached to freight revenues on the Dubai route. Is there any proven evidence to show that there is a similar demand for TA ex NCL ?

10 DME ARC
19th Oct 2011, 15:20
NYC?? Well I am a believer!! I am not a plane spotter either, thirty years in aviation! I do know the reasoning behind AA dropping the route!
I have said it before its a natural hub and destination in its self! How many destinations in North/South America would become one stop instead of two/three stops away!

roverman
19th Oct 2011, 17:19
Skipness is right about the problem with getting market penetration. At MAN we know all about this - the figures say there is a market for HKG, BKK, SYD and more, but we still don't have these routes because there are so many good alternatives available via a myriad of connections. Add to that the complexities of frequent flyer clubs etc which draw away business to hubs, and you need a market which is perhaps 3 or 4 times the capacity offered on a direct route before it could work commercially. A direct route to NYC remains a rite of passage for regionals seeking intercontinental status, but the sad fact is that very few could support it. MAN does just about, but even then it has seasonal capacity shifts and relies on B757 economics.

JKKne
19th Oct 2011, 17:51
There's an advert for an air traffic controller position at Newcastle if anyone is interested, noted it whilst looking on the website earlier.

Back to the US. If I'm in planning from a US airline I'd see Newcastle and question whether I could interrupt a market and upset my alliance buddies by taking traffic away from connections through AMS and CDG. In terms of US geography its really not far for people to travel and I wouldn't want to challenge it.

What I'd prefer is a route to FRA or an alternative to get me back to Newcastle from home. I'm fed up of BA and LHR!!

Still, from an enthusiast point of view, NCL is one of the few airports in Europe that can provide a daily 757 ride!

fl dutchman
19th Oct 2011, 19:40
I hear the first LS flight to/from New York is sold out with the next one almost full.

Of course that in no way means a regular sheduled flight would work.

I cannot see the advantage of a connection at EWR or JFK for onward travel to major cities in the US versus say a single connection through AMS, LHR, or CDG.

karenbarbara
20th Oct 2011, 05:31
Nice post...

10 DME ARC
20th Oct 2011, 09:37
fl dutchman – How many US or Caribbean cities are available direct from AMS/LHR versus direct from EWR or JFK!! It would make smaller destination a one stop from NCL!!

I am very surprised at the negativity on NYC! Why should the people of the North East not have a direct link to the US! Just think of the prestige a link to the US would bring to the North East region and to businesses! Emirates direct link to DXB did just that! I am amazed also the number of people who are happy to put down this route after a slight drop in pax's on one month!! They are quick to forget the record month the route had in the previous month.

Why should we have to travel down to Manchester or via a hub city to get to the US! Lets face it NYC is only a third more the distance of Sharm el Sheikh!!

We should totally behind the regions push for a NYC link, you will notice I did not say airport but region, its that big a deal!

fl dutchman
20th Oct 2011, 14:35
10 DME ARC.

I was refering to major cities in the US.

Of course there are those travelling to the smaller places where via AMS there may be 2 stops ie NCL AMS then onward via Detroit etc to a number of smaller places.

So yes there could be an advantage if the airline who flies to JFK or EWR has onward connections available to the smaller places with one stop only.

I would love to see a regular schedule from NCL to New York for all the reasons you mention, after all my roots are from the North East of England.

Unfortunatley I dont have an accurate figure showing how many people go from NCL via AMS, CDG, LHR to a major destination where they terminate, versus those who go to a major US city then onward to a smaller destination.

Someone will have those numbers, and I am sure it will have been considered.

One day it will happen.

Re the Emirates I think it will be upgraded to a larger airctaft sooner than some people may think.

Lets all be positive.

skyman771
20th Oct 2011, 14:50
10 DME ARC
I am very surprised at the negativity on NYC! Why should the people of the North East not have a direct link to the US! Just think of the prestige a link to the US would bring to the North East region and to businesses!
I fear that you really need to get down off your soap box on this one as you seem to becoming rather blinkered & somewhat "jingoistic" on this subject.
Before the flack comes back, then I am not a spotter, I cross the Atlantic several times a year on a regular basis, and I live in the North East and probably have been around for even longer than yourself.
A few points, then you could do better than reconsider the content of the previous post by "Roverman" which sets out the economic issues very clearly & succinctly, assuming that you are able to get over any prejudice you may have towards MAN.
I find it very interesting that " you do know the reasoning behind AA dropping the route!" which for whatever reason you choose not to divulge, and is now totally irrelevant.
The reality is that no one has taken up the route as they are able to make more money elsewhere with the same available resources.
Next point, I don't particularly feel full of joy that on many west bound flights crossing UK airspace at FL310 or above having endured 2 hours flight time & 90 minutes at hub in transit, and if it were as simple as boarding at NCL and deplaning in NYC then this gripe would be valid. However NYC is rarely a final destination & as such a connection somewhere would always be necessary, though I do take on your point that this may turn into two connections for those travelling on to "Backofbeyondsville".
The simple fact is that on most occasions I am able to get to my destination with one stopover ex AMS/CDG. Moreover as I like a bit of comfort, then there are also many more seating arrangements and class choice available than would be on offer on a "3:3" 757 ex NCL. As such unless the timing was suitable, and on offer was a single "point to point" route, then I hate to admit that I would probably consider all European hub alternatives.
Interestingly I have on occasions looked at the alternative transatlantic offerings on 757 from EDI and assume that on a similar price structure, then unlikely to be any cost savings vs.the use of the current Euro hub connection.
Finally to revisit “Rovermans” point then it’s extra pax that are required! i.e. “excessive demand”, as simply stating that there is a demand understates the issue as to the effect on dilution of traffic on all currently available Euro feeder routes.

SWBKCB
22nd Oct 2011, 06:50
Couple of interesting press release on the NIA website

Newcastle Airport - Record summer marks Jet2.com's sixth anniversary at Newcastle Airport (http://www.newcastleairport.com/Newsroom/Press/RecordSummerMarksJet2SixthAnniversaryNewcastleAirport.htm)

says that: This year alone has seen strong growth for the airline, with a 56 per cent more passengers travelling this summer - ???

Also Manx2 to introduce a Saturday lunchtime flight:

Newcastle Airport - Manx2 increases Newcastle schedule (http://www.newcastleairport.com/Newsroom/Press/Manx2comIncreasesNewcastleSchedule.htm)

An interesting piece in the Northern Echo about KLM/Air France and their views on the relative merits of Newcastle and DTVA:

KLM shows support for the region's airports (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/9318431.KLM_shows_support_for_the_region_s_airports/)

Interesting - presumably the increases are the 146 replacing the CRJ for AF and the normally seasonal switch to bigger aircraft for KLM.

CabinCrewe
22nd Oct 2011, 10:57
Noones denying that a 757 couldnt be filled NCL-NYC. The issue is, the demand for premium fares is likely to be low and most seats would need to be dirt cheap to fill. (Jet 2 NYC case in point) and most of them are packages

Ops Guy
22nd Oct 2011, 11:40
Ref KLM & AF

Great to hear some possitive news from 2 very important airlines @ Newcastle.

Yes it will be a 146 replacing the CRJ7.

Also with the terminal being extended this winter and the Pier upgrade nearing completion which looks alot better than what it was. It's not all bad up north. :E

Something happening after xmas ............. watch this space (its not new year) :ok:

deltahotel9
22nd Oct 2011, 12:57
Something happening after xmas ..........Lets think....Emirates upgrade, oh no sorry that silly, it's obvious, the car park charges are going up :ooh:

richardhall99
22nd Oct 2011, 13:23
Good news on the CDG route with about 90 extra seats a day.

Great to see a full A321 on the 1830 BA to LHR flight on Tuesday, although I was only paying £30 o/w I hope thats not the only way they are filling it.

Any news on when the BRU will get upgraded?

Jamesair
22nd Oct 2011, 16:26
The KLM announcement for AMS is a bit more important than that. The winter frequency goes up from 3 to 4 daily with aircraft as follows:

0755 737/800
0935 737/700
1335 EMB190
1725 737/700

SWBKCB
22nd Oct 2011, 17:06
Is that against last winter, as there are currently 5 flights a day albeit mainly on smaller KLC a/c?

Jamesair
22nd Oct 2011, 17:10
yes, but with 737 equipment which left capacity much the same...summer 2010 was 4 daily with mixed equipment, one flight I think was 737 the rest with smaller a/c

HH6702
23rd Oct 2011, 12:03
Ops guy we all know what it happening in the new year....
Delta direct to New York......lol

This is what i think anyway most likely to happen in the new year

Jet 2 - 6 based aircraft and if they get the 767's long haul.
Monarch - based aircraft for summer 2012? if not flights by MON
Easyjet - 4th based aircraft and new routes

EK - upgrade to daily 777
Virgin - Operating flights to Orlando with A330 from NCL

BMI - 2 aircraft to operate Frankfurt, oslo and Zurich??

Flybe - extra based aircraft after years of them saying....

manx2 - 2x daily to isle of man!!

anything else guys??

SWBKCB
23rd Oct 2011, 12:14
I'll have a pint of that...

Only knowledge I have is that there are no major changes expected from EZY. I'll leave others to comment on the rest!

Sam Chipperfield
23rd Oct 2011, 16:28
HH6702, Very Optimistic, Can Not See Virgin Operating Here, Maybe EK Possibly The Only Realistic 1, I As A Newcastle Plane Spotter Would Like This To Happen But By The Sounds Of It You Maybe Have Had To Much To Drink... I Suppose Stranger Things Have Happened...

skyman771
24th Oct 2011, 15:07
SWBKCB
Only knowledge I have is that there are no major changes expected from EZY
Yes true, though this commment should be taken as good news, :hmm:

10 DME ARC
24th Oct 2011, 15:12
Skyman771

Sorry not getting off the box at the moment as it is a subject I believe in! I have worked in Aviation for the last thirty years and whilst not in marketing I 'believe' I have a good grasp of the area. As for "prejudice" against Manchester I have no prejudice! I do have a aversion against the 2-3hr, on a good day, drive down the A1/M62/M60!! Or the near 5hr return to the NE I had a few years ago after a transatlantic night flight in ice and snow!!

Whats wrong with the seat pitch on a 3-3 170-180 seat B757?? Much better to the 3-3-3/2-5-2 of a 300-400 seat B777!!

Dilution? Whilst yes they will be some dilution of pax's from other hubs, as we have found on the DXB it comes back to other destinations. Plus the percentage that decide not to make that drive!!

As a final point why don't we let the interested parties, the airlines and they ARE some, make the decision instead of us!!:D

CentreFix25
25th Oct 2011, 06:51
As a final point why don't we let the interested parties, the airlines and they ARE some, make the decision instead of us!! They already have - look at the arrivals and departures board.

ncleflights
25th Oct 2011, 20:12
As I pointed out in a earlier post Virgin are planning a limited service (short season) from Newcastle to Orlando not next year but Summer 2013.

and before I get the normal attacks of not knowing what I am talking about I have worked in the airline business for a number of years

Skipness One Echo
25th Oct 2011, 21:39
Sounds interesting about VS, I wonder though why they have missed BHX, launching NCL first if this true. They are natural cherry pickers!

nclops
26th Oct 2011, 16:22
New Jet2 route to Dubrovnik announced for next summer. Story on the airport website.

Newcastle Airport - Jet2holidays Gives Holidaymakers a Gem with Launch of Croatian Hotspot for 2012 (http://www.newcastleairport.com/Newsroom/Press/Jet2holidaysGivesHolidaymakersGemWithLaunchCroatia2012.htm)

GrahamK
26th Oct 2011, 18:34
David Laws, Managing Director of Newcastle Airport, said: "Dubrovnik is our very first Croatian route available from Newcastle Airport so I'm sure it will be very popular with North East passengers wanting to explore this popular destination.

I'm sure I seem to recall Jet2 serving Split for a summer or 2?

apaul
26th Oct 2011, 18:53
It did, and the plane was pretty full when I flew to Split in July 2010. Holiday Options going bust might have affected the route as it had a block of seats on the Split flights. Croatia and Montenegro are great holiday destinations, although Dubrovnik is expensive in high season.

SWBKCB
26th Oct 2011, 19:45
Press notice has been changed - no quote from David Laws and this instead:

Chris Sanders, aviation development director at Newcastle International, said: “We are delighted with Jet2.com’s announcement of a new route for summer 2012. Our customers can now fly to Dubrovnik directly from Newcastle for the first time on a scheduled service.

GrahamK
26th Oct 2011, 21:56
So Jet2 changedfor S12 look as follows so far:

MAH - 1
PMI +1 (double daily on sat)
DLM +1
DBV 1 new route

Jamesair
26th Oct 2011, 23:19
Absolutely correct Graham that Split was served. The timings are dep.Ncl 1600 arr NCL 2310.

Interestingly a sixth a/c is needed to operate both this flight and the additional DLM flight on Thursdays.

HH6702
27th Oct 2011, 13:53
well i can say i didnt see that route coming!!

Would have throught that laranca or bodrum would have been first....

Looking at other routes can we see JET2 add the following

Rome 2x weekly
Milan 2 x weekly
Instanbul weekly

even lisbon?? 2x weekly?

Looks like 1 of my list has come true the 6th based aircraft....

looks like monarch annoucing something in next few days hopefully flights from ncl.....

All good news

Travel Agent
27th Oct 2011, 21:27
Great news about Dubrovnik, it sells really well from other regional airports, could never understand why it was Split introduced last time as there are far more resorts on the Dubrovnik Riviera that are far more popular with UK tourists...

ash666
28th Oct 2011, 11:45
from Hub:
UK low-fare carrier Jet2.com is to launch flights to the Croatian city of Dubrovnik from Newcastle International Airport in summer 2012, the first scheduled link to the coastal destination from the northeast UK airport. The airline will offer a weekly flight between June 9, 2012 and October 6, 2012 offering a mix of seat-only deals and package breaks through its sister company Jet2holidays.

Known as the ‘Gem of the Adriatic’, Dubrovnik is located on the most south easterly tip of the Croatian coast, and was designated a UNESCO world heritage site in 1979. It is a growing leisure destination for UK holidaymakers with the fortified walls and secluded beaches proving popular with tourists.

An estimated 203,000 O&D travelled between Dubrovnik and the UK on scheduled flights in the past year. Jet2.com currently accounts for a 14.1 per cent share of this traffic with flights from Belfast International, Edinburgh and Manchester. easyJet (31.1 per cent) and British Airways (29.6 per cent) currently dominate the market. easyJet has flights from London Gatwick and London Stansted, while British Airways also has links from London Gatwick.

“With its famed sapphire waters, unspoilt charm and the fact it is great value compared to other Mediterranean resorts, Croatia is fast becoming a holiday favourite,” said Steve Heapy, Managing Director, Jet2holidays. “Dubrovnik is one of our top destinations from our other bases. With its beautiful beaches, romantic squares to enjoy a cosy meal and vibrant nightlife, it is a perfect getaway for families, couples and groups alike.”

The Dubrovnik launch follows the recent six year anniversary of Jet2.com’s launch at Newcastle International. This airline now offers flights to more than 20 destinations and next summer will boost frequencies to Dalaman, Mahon and Palma, alongside the new Dubrovnik route. Looking at next month’s planned schedule, it will account for 7.7 per cent of the weekly scheduled seat capacity from the airport, placing it as the fourth largest operator behind easyJet (25.6 per cent), British Airways (18.5 per cent) and Flybe (13.0 per cent).

“We are delighted with Jet2.com’s announcement of a new route for summer 2012,” said Chris Sanders, Aviation Development Director, Newcastle International Airport. “This development further demonstrates the strength of the company's continued growth from the region - our customers now have 23 city, sun and ski destinations to choose from with Jet2.com.”

This is the second time Jet2.com has attempted to operate a Croatian route from the north east UK airport as it has previously offered seasonal flights to Split.

fl dutchman
28th Oct 2011, 12:45
Good to see Dubrovnik back. It opperated very successfully with JAT, Adria and Aviogenex many years ago on Charters to the old Yugoslavia including Split and Pula for Yugotours and Airways.

The Pula and Dubrovnik flights were very popular and if my memory serves me correctly 3 or 4 times weekly to both destinations.

I dont think the Jet 2 to Split was available via Jet 2 Hols which seemed strange however the new Dubrovnik one is. I am positive it will be popular.

deltahotel9
28th Oct 2011, 13:10
I believe the Split flights were operated for, or at least with Balkan Holidays which may explain why there were not available from Jet2 Holidays. Dubrovnik is a better area though so should prove popular.

Hopefully a few more new flights from jet2 to come for summer 2012 yet.

apaul
28th Oct 2011, 14:01
Balkan Holidays is also selling packages to Croatia and Montenegro for 2012 based on the Newcastle flights. I don't think comparisons with the Yugotours years stand up because then Yugoslavia just about the cheapest sunshine destination. Croatia has gone up market since then.

fl dutchman
28th Oct 2011, 14:30
Not making comparisons with the old Yugotours years just an observation.

However your correct, Yugoslavia was one of the the cheapest place to go at that time.

Looking at the websites it is just about the same hotels as there used to be but very much more expensive (is that because they have vastly improved). Still think there will be strong demand.

upnorth east
28th Oct 2011, 19:27
Anyone any idea why the recent visits from these ? B747 a few weeks ago and a B738 just departed tonight.

Social visits or anything to do with Emirates ? they aren't buying the Toon are they ?

CentreFix25
28th Oct 2011, 20:17
Something to do with Grouse I think, an Annual event.

EGNT
28th Oct 2011, 21:51
Indeed, somewhere up towards wooler i've heard.

SWBKCB
28th Oct 2011, 21:51
Yes - old money, not new money.

And getting back to Yugoslavia, at one stage before the troubles wasn't Yugoslavia the second biggest holiday destination after Spain??

As a youngster working for Servisair, I could never work out how three airlines from the same country (JAT, Inex Adria and Aviogenex) could have such different characters - I know now.

HH6702
30th Oct 2011, 22:41
Looks like monarch are doing a press annoucment this coming thursday...

I see on TCX website it shows that AEU and Mint will operate a aircraft each again at NCL for summer 2012..

Has anybody picked up any extra turkish flights for next summer?
Jet2 have a extra dlm but we have lost many flights this year due to H4U going under. Very few flights from Onur Air this year..

HH6702
31st Oct 2011, 23:43
Rumour has it that TCX have chartered MON 757's for summer 2012...??

Travel Agent
3rd Nov 2011, 09:27
£75m cash injection into Monarch group to stem £45m loss. Plus two more A320's. Source Travel Weekly

fl dutchman
3rd Nov 2011, 12:56
Surprised there has been no comment on this.

Newcastle Airport awarded BEST UK AIRPORT in the up to 6M passengers category by The British Air Transport Association for the third year running.( see airport website )

Not sure who actually voted but it must mean something positive.

Jamesair
3rd Nov 2011, 13:50
Unfortunately that is probably down to human nature where people prefer to complain about things rather than acknowledge success and achievement.

Having said that....congratulations to the airport.

apaul
4th Nov 2011, 08:31
The new airport hotel (Hilton Doubletree) seems to be opening later this month. Rooms are bookable from 24 November.

P330
10th Nov 2011, 07:45
Does anyone know which airline/aircraft type is scheduled to operate the Transun santa day trip flight to Lapland on the 18th December? Airport website says TBA, but I guess it must be known now?

GrahamK
12th Nov 2011, 13:37
P330, I'd imagine it'd be Jet2, Small Planet Airlines or Tor Air.

Looks like winter is well and truly settling in, only 5 departures from 2:30pm until the end of the day on a saturday, including one to Lyon Bron. What airline is V5?

Earlyriser
12th Nov 2011, 14:16
V5=Danube Wings

GrahamK
12th Nov 2011, 15:23
Cheers Earlyriser

Am I correct in thinking it may be a rugby charter? Newcastle Falcons/Heineken Cup related?

SWBKCB
12th Nov 2011, 15:51
Yes, Lyon to play the Falcons in the European Challenge Cup.

P330
12th Nov 2011, 18:00
Thanks Graham. Appreciate the feedback - if you find out anything for certain in the meantime, I'd be grateful if you could post it up. Cheers!

Indeed winter is here.

Jamesair
17th Nov 2011, 22:08
Highlights from the October pax figures are;

Brussels 4508 + 23%
Stavanger 2195 + 34%
Nice 3319 + 13%
Dusseldorf 4209 + 21%
Cork 1896 + 7%
Amsterdam 23,528 + 4%

Dubai 13,817 - 3%

The majority of our overseas routes performed well but domestic routes fared poorly probably because of the passenger tax.

HH6702
19th Nov 2011, 21:12
Hi

Looks like Thomson are to operate to Bourgas on Mondays
1st flight 21st may until 2nd oct 2012

Flight Numbers TOM1188/89
late afternoon take off from ncl arrive back early hrs tuesday morning

not sure what is replaced there also seems a few changes to days of operation from this year.

Anybody know of any other changes are have a copy of the planned flights for summer 2012??

jamesair... thank you for the update on pax carried for oct.
looking good look forward to seeing your emails on here....

heslop2006
23rd Nov 2011, 23:57
Does anybody know why Dubai Airwings was at NCL today? It was a 737-800, A6-HEH - I tracked it on an phone application. I seen it approach upon it's landing while I was at work (in Killingworth)

SWBKCB
24th Nov 2011, 05:47
see post 2563 onwards

Tflyer
24th Nov 2011, 10:32
HH6702

The Monday SKG has been dropped as has the PUJ. Then as you say some day/timing changes to other routes.

N707ZS
24th Nov 2011, 15:19
Heslop, the family own a big estate up there and they come a few times a year to shoot the grouse and pesants.

Aero Mad
24th Nov 2011, 15:30
shoot the grouse and pesants.

Watch your spelling! Hahaha :p

Jamesair
24th Nov 2011, 16:29
Maybe the pesants are grousing too much....hence they get shot..:= perhaps Mr. Heslop (post 2581) can explain.

sorry about that...couldn't resist it.

heslop2006
24th Nov 2011, 21:30
Explain what? May I enquire ... ?

perusal
28th Nov 2011, 14:05
The Professional Indemnity case which the airport is bringing against Eversheds is set to be heard in the High Court next April.

Eversheds has instructed Clyde & Co partner Sarah Clover to defend it in the High Court over a profession negligence claim brought by former client Newcastle International Airport.

The airport, which has instructed Ward Hadaway partner Tim Toomey, claims that Eversheds was in breach of its duty when it accepted an instruction from two former executive directors relating to draft contracts of employment. It is alleged that the contracts provided for an entitlement of multimillion-pound bonuses as a result of a ­refinancing to the directors.

It is claimed that the instruction was unauthorised and as a result of the firm’s acceptance of the mandates the airport suffered a loss when it executed the contracts without realising what they contained.
Eversheds is arguing that the executive directors had the authority to instruct the firm and the airport caused its own loss by failing to read the contracts before putting them into effect.

The case, which has been set down for 15 days in April 2012, will pitch 4 New Square’s Nicholas Davidson QC for the airport against Ben Patten QC of the same set, who has been drafted in by Eversheds.

In a statement the firm said: “Eversheds acted fully in accordance with ­instructions in all matters pertaining to its work for Newcastle International Airport. It would be wholly inappropriate for the firm to comment further on this case while legal proceedings are ongoing.

c/o The Lawyer (http://www.thelawyer.com/clydes-acts-for-eversheds-on-airport-negligence-case/1010408.article)

This will be watched with interest.

FANS
29th Nov 2011, 12:38
Can anyone shed any light on the rumour of the aiport being sold?

CentreFix25
29th Nov 2011, 13:44
You could try Google (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=newcastle+airport+for+sale)

FANS
29th Nov 2011, 14:23
CentreFix - You're an absolute clown. I have tried that and hence am asking for peoples' latest understanding rather than April news.

On your twisted logic, no one would ever ask a question on pprune again, and just use google!

Aero Mad
29th Nov 2011, 14:53
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=should+i+use+forums+or+google+to+find+things+out%3F)

CentreFix25
29th Nov 2011, 17:20
I have tried that Then why did you not say that in your original question:ugh: I'm not a psychic either:}

the rumour of the aiport being sold?
If you had used Google then you would have found out that it's not a rumour! Which actually makes me think you didn't really look.

HH6702
5th Dec 2011, 09:01
Could Germanwings be coming to NCL ?

New uk routes coming soon for spring start

SWBKCB
6th Dec 2011, 06:55
from Northern Echo - Jet 2 announcing

"A series of significant investments in Newcastle Airport, including major 2012 expansion and job creation plans further demonstrating its commitment to the North East."

GrahamK
6th Dec 2011, 07:38
Bordum, Rome, Venice and Reus :D

With apparently extra flights to Faro, Menorca, Malaga, Cork, Prague and Krakow

:D

GrahamK
6th Dec 2011, 08:44
Bodrum 1 x weekly
Rome 2 x weekly
Venice 3 x weekly
Reus 2 x weekly

Mahon 2 x weekly (Fri and Sat)

Jamesair
6th Dec 2011, 09:38
1037 Nothing on the Jet2 website yet, timetables not updated at the moment. watch this space.

JKKne
6th Dec 2011, 10:31
Now confirmed on jet2.com website

GrahamK
6th Dec 2011, 10:56
Cork, Krakow and Prague all up to 3 x weekly. Double daily flights to Alicante on saturdays.

The extra plane looks to be a 737-300.

skyman771
7th Dec 2011, 16:25
I am pleased for NCL that Jet2 continues to invest in further route development, certainly in the current climate such news is extremely positive. For my part then I feel it is relevant to note that the age of these 737.300's that are being allocated to these routes are now well over 20 years with many similar age machines now w.f.u.
Mind you this is not a pop at Jet2 as most of the 757's of TUI & TCX are also of a similar age.
For how many more years is this situation sustainable ?

I'd have felt that little more comfortable if EZY showed a similar attitude:hmm:

HH6702
7th Dec 2011, 20:45
Great news about jet2 and the 6th based aircraft.
i did say along with another guy that we would get a 6th based aircraft for next summer just now need the long awaited route ait for it NEW YORK!! im only joking guys i know it wont happen....

The future at newcastle is defo RED and not orange....

I think that as soon as the current easyjet contract ends we wont see much of easyjet at ncl. i think they will close the base maybe still operate BRS,BFS using there own base aircraft.

Flybe doesnt seem to be keeping to there words with routes to germany and sweden, denmark etc...

TCX is rumoured to be talking to MON about basing an aircraft to replace AEU so maybe thats where the rumours are coming from as per MON base.

What else we got to look forward to?

Have heard that IWD will be operating to PMI in the summer but cant find any flights with them.. they have changed name too.

looking forward to summer 2013 easyjet gone and jet2 with 8 aircraft!!!
double daily to pmi and alc in high season plus madrid, lisbon....

delta154
7th Dec 2011, 21:00
Monarch to run a weekly A330 to Orlando from May-August 2012.

HH6702
7th Dec 2011, 21:15
thanks for that news on MON nice to extra flights being added....

when did easyjet set up base march 2003?

HH6702
7th Dec 2011, 21:18
Can anyone confirm that the above has flights from NCL next summer.

The only flights i can find to turkey from ncl is on TOM,TCX,LS

HH6702
7th Dec 2011, 21:42
heres the flight details for MON to SFB... thanks to delta154 for the info

Tue 29 May 2012
dep 08:40 Newcastle (NCL)
arr 13:05 Florida (Sanford) (SFB)
Monarch Airlines MON309

Tue 12 June 2012
dep 15:05 Florida (Sanford) (SFB)
arr 04:15 Newcastle (NCL) (wednesday)
Monarch Airlines MON308

fl dutchman
7th Dec 2011, 22:21
Do you know who the Monarch SFB is flying for. I presume its in addition to the TOM service.

Jet 2.com, Good to see them expanding again.

Shame that EZY continue to stagnate at NCL, cant remember when the last new route was launched.

Re Skyman771 and aircraft age. Yes they are elderly, but from NCL this year seem to have been quite reliable I believe. As well as the airlines you quote the likes of BA and KL are also flying some rather old machines in particular the 747s. However I suppose as long as they are well maintained they can go on for a while ( few years ) yet. Eventually they will obviously have to be replaced at some stage though.

Wonder what TCX will do from NCL next summer ? Four aircraft again ?

HH6702
7th Dec 2011, 23:03
I think all eyes are on TCX for next summer to see what they do. The plan is still 4 based aircraft but how many are TCX and how many based is still to be confirmed.... Would be nice to see more foreign airlines going back into ncl.... IWD, AEA, JKK etc .....

Travel Agent
7th Dec 2011, 23:06
Monarch to SFB is in addition to TOM and will be flying for Cosmos/Monarch Holidays and Thomas Cook Tour Ops, ie Thomas Cook Hols, Airtours, Direct Holidays etc

travelagent1979
8th Dec 2011, 10:23
HH6702, (http://www.pprune.org/members/97778-hh6702) yes Onur Air will be operating weekly Bodrum and Dalaman flights on a Sunday via Wings Abroad / Sunwings Holidays:

OHY244A/243B Bodrum 0955/1555 rtn 0640/0840 Sunday 27th May - 21st October

OHY5632/5631 Dalaman 2045/0245 rtn 1735/1940 Sunday 27th May - 28th October

Hope this helps

Ops Guy
8th Dec 2011, 10:31
............................. lots of opinions at present and very little fact / evidence produced.

German Wings: New uk routes coming soon for spring start

Surely if this was true, then this would already have been announced and flights on sale?

Great to see some expansion at Newcastle through Jet 2 and MON.

I don't understand your logic of wanting easyjet gone. Surely we need some competition on certain routes to ensure the traveling public get value for money and no airline gets a monoply of operating on that specific route with potentially higher charges. :(

You think there's demand to fill a B733 Madrid? I'm sure a spanish carrier has just commenced flights from Madrid to a British regional airport recently and that's only on a CRJ.

What else we got to look forward to?

.......................................... xmas :rolleyes:

delta154
8th Dec 2011, 11:17
German Wings: New uk routes coming soon for spring start
Surely if this was true, then this would already have been announced and flights on sale?

Germanwings have said the routes will be announced some time this month, but have now since said they will only be expanding at UK airports currently served by them, so, that's STN/MAN or EDI.

You think there's demand to fill a B733 Madrid? I'm sure a spanish carrier has just commenced flights from Madrid to a British regional airport recently and that's only on a CRJ

But that same airport also has 4xB737-800's per week and 5xA319/A320 per week on top of the 7xCRJ1000 per week. Son, not as mad cap idea, but, I think LS have had their fingers burnt at MAD before (not from NCL admittedly), so, I'd say its not a high priority route.

Jamesair
8th Dec 2011, 15:27
There seem to be a few diversions into NCL today, FR (Faro) and BMI (Copenhagen) to name a couple....any others?

LBIA
8th Dec 2011, 16:14
Yeah there are a few more to add to the diverts into Newcastle this afternoon due to the winds up at Edinburgh.

(LS) Budapest & (FR) Tenerife, (BCY) Paris Cdg.

PPRuNeUser0176
9th Dec 2011, 20:44
When NCL-DUB goes to 2 daily in early Jan, today FR confired it would be 2 daily next summer so an extra 3 weekly compared to last summer.

GrahamK
16th Dec 2011, 06:49
KLM S12 still 5 x Daily, although one of these flights is upgraded to a 737, rather than all 5 flights being operated by Cityhopper.

Still expecting some news on the Emirates front within the next few weeks, we shall see what happens.

With LoganAir/FlyBe/ScotAirways/Suckling basing a Do328 at Norwich, I wonder if we could see a daily link there? Not sure how much demand there is, but it has to be better than taking the train. Althoiugh, with the hike in APD, it probably wont happen.

ash666
16th Dec 2011, 14:36
from routesonline:

UK low-fare carrier Jet2.com is to introduce a sixth aircraft at its Newcastle International Airport base in North East England next summer enabling it to expand its network to 27 destinations with the addition of four new routes. The airline will offer flights to Bodrum, Rome, Reus and Venice from the end of May 2012, strengthening its position as offering the largest network of destinations from the airport six years after it first launched operations there. This latest announcement will see Jet2.com introduce eight weekly flights on these four new routes from Newcastle International with a three times weekly services to Venice; two flights per week to Reus and Rome and a weekly rotation to Bodrum. All four destinations are already served by the airline from its other northern UK bases. In October, Jet2.com also announced plans to launch flights to the Croatian city of Dubrovnik from Newcastle International with a weekly flight between June 9, 2012 and October 6, 2012 offering a mix of seat-only deals and package breaks through its sister company Jet2holidays. Alongside the new routes the carrier will boost frequencies to Cork, Dalaman, Faro, Krakow, Mahon, Malaga, Palma and Prague next summer. Jet2.com currently accounts for 7.7 per cent of the weekly scheduled seat capacity from the airport, placing it as the fourth largest operator behind easyJet (25.6 per cent), British Airways (18.5 per cent) and Flybe (13.0 per cent), but this figure will grow notably following these new route announcements. It revised capacity introduces a further 80,000 passenger seats per annum on its new flights, taking its total seat availability at Newcastle International to over 600,000 per year. “We have been closely monitoring the success of this airport over the past year and we believe there’s real potential for this region,” explained Ian Doubtfire, Managing Director, Jet2.com. “We see exciting horizons for our organisation right here. That’s why, contrary to many other operators at the moment, we have decided to invest for the coming year and really focus and plan for a strong future in the region”. The airline has had a successful summer at Newcastle International carrying more than 500,000 passengers to its city and sunshine destinations, a 56 per cent increase on the previous year. It anticipates a similar rise in 2012 as a result of its investment into the airport. “Civil Aviation Authority data has told us that over 200,000 people from the airport’s catchment area travel to other UK airports to reach Mediterranean destinations. We hope these brand new developments will encourage the travelling North East public to choose their local airport,” added David Laws, Chief Executive Officer, Newcastle International Airport.

ash666
16th Dec 2011, 14:37
and also:

Monarch Airlines is to offer flights to Orlando Sanford International from both Cardiff and Newcastle airports next summer on behalf of its sister companies. The carrier is offering a weekly schedule from each destination between May and August on behalf of independent tour operator, Cosmos, and sister flight only provider to the trade, Avro as well as up to twice weekly flights from London Gatwick and Manchester and a limited offering from Glasgow between June 28 thru July 12. Florida is the most popular long-haul tourist destination from the UK, with many attractions including Disneyworld and Universal Studios, numerous shopping malls and stunning beach resorts, although passengers from both South Wales have had to travel to other UK airports since 2008 to fly there: Newcastle already has flights to Orlando with Thomson Airways. Around 2.2 million passengers are estimated to have travelled between the UK and Florida on scheduled flights during the past year, up 2.2 per cent on the previous 12 month period. “2011 has been a hugely successful year for us in terms of sales to Florida. We have had terrific support from theme parks, hoteliers and other suppliers keen to help us promote the destination and it has really paid off,” said Hugh Morgan, Managing Director, Tour Operations, the Monarch Travel Group which includes sister companies, Cosmos and Avro. “The time is right to extend our programme to include more regional departures and we are delighted to be able to include Cardiff and Newcastle in this expansion.”

Hipennine
16th Dec 2011, 16:41
If Ezy manages 25.6% of NCL seats with just 3 based aircraft, why will Jet2's 5 based aircraft only represent 7.7% of seats ? (and vs BE @ 13%). ? Simple maths would therefore suggest that EZY has the planes in the air nearly 6 times more than Jet2 - is that correct ?

Jamesair
16th Dec 2011, 17:24
November passenger stats show some healthy increases on some routes, highlights are:-

Brussels 4022 +19%
Paris 15,544 +21%
Dusseldorf 3984 + 15%
Cork 1511 + 17%
Stavanger 1957 + 30%
Alicante...10,156 + 69%

Dubai 12,443 - 2%

Domestic figures are not all posted yet, of those that are good increases on

London Heathrow 41,172 + 4%
Birmingham 1256 + 21%
Cardiff 1316 + 37%

Isle of Man 276 - 40%

CabinCrewe
16th Dec 2011, 17:49
EK down 3% Oct, now 2% last month, whats going on ?

GAXLN
16th Dec 2011, 21:19
CabinCrewe.

So what the numbers are down by 3% in October and 2% in November. Does it really matter??? What matters is whether the revenue is up or down surely and that we'll never know will we? So I would not lose any sleep over what is a miniscule year on year variation in passenger numbers.

crewmeal
17th Dec 2011, 06:10
You may find EID had something to do with it. Most Arab carriers loose revenue during that period. But I'm sure Dec figures will be up.

JKKne
17th Dec 2011, 10:53
Slightly OT but I stayed in the Doubletree last night after arriving back for a swift Christmas present drop off.

Really nice hotel with a lovely restaurant and bar. At last a hotel that offers something for a business or higher value traveller ahead of the god awful Britannia

HH6702
17th Dec 2011, 21:37
Heard rumours that all Airbus A330 and A340's are to leave the fleet by march 2013.

Im guessing it wont be long until NCL gets a daily B777...
maybe 1st September 2012....???

anybody heard any more rumours of what to expect for summer 2012??

thought we would have got our frankfrut link for summer 2012 now the extra runway is open using bmir aircraft??

Seljuk22
19th Dec 2011, 08:09
All the A343 (8 in total) and some A332 will leave by year end (calender year 2012 or EK financial year 2012/2013?).

In the near future all A332 as well as B772 and B773 will leave. EK will focus on A350 (whenever they'll come), B77L, B77W and A380.
EK is growing so NCL will grow as well.

roverman
19th Dec 2011, 16:27
I'm sure NCL will get an EK B777 before long. Looking at the Google Earth aerial view I can't see too many problems for ground maneouvring of a 772 or 773 on the runway and taxiways - no really tight turns except one of the RETs. Which stand would it use? The A330-200 shown on stand 30 is overhanging an interstand clearway / roadway already - not best practice. That stand does not look long enough for a 772 and certainly not a 773. The only other one looks to be Stand 16, but with similar issues. Is there a plan to reconfigure or merge stands to form a proper 777-capability? AN idea would be to merge 8/30 and/or 15/16 into 'MARS' (Multiple choice) configurations, thereby preserving the ability to use for two smaller aircraft, but avoiding poor practice over wings overhanging roads. See MAN Stand 12 and Stand 44 for an example - not on current Google Earth though.

Earlyriser
19th Dec 2011, 17:02
EK had a 777-300 on stand 30 three times last year! Once for the GLA Diversion, again for the Airports 75th Birthday flight and i think the BHX Diversion went on 30 last winter!

fl dutchman
19th Dec 2011, 18:46
I see the inbound TCX from LPA is diverting away from NCL tonight. I think thats 3 times in the last couple of weeks inbound TCX flights have diverted. Last ones went to MAN and passengers bussed up to NCL. (all other flights inbound and outbound operated normally)

No problems at NCL, anyone know whats happening.

sean377
19th Dec 2011, 18:47
Anyone know why TCX6105 from Las Palmas has diverted to MAN tonight?

edit: Our neighbours are on that flight and they've said in a text that the crew said it was "Unsafe to land at Newcastle" ???

TSR2
19th Dec 2011, 19:02
Sounds like a diversion 'of convenience' for the airline. Other flights arriving around the time the TCX flight was due.

The Manchester TCX flight to Dalaman departed 10+ hours late and due back 22+ hours late according to the MAN website. Probably more to do with recovering the situation at Manchester than 'unsafe to land' at Newcastle.

ash666
19th Dec 2011, 19:02
strange, other flights landed ok around that time.

sean377
19th Dec 2011, 19:45
The aircraft didn't make an approach to NCL, went straight to MAN.

sean377
19th Dec 2011, 22:37
I notice the aircraft that did the flight is now on it's way to The Gambia. What'll TCX do for tomorrow mornings NCL-TFS flight?

Ops Guy
20th Dec 2011, 08:55
AN idea would be to merge 8/30

When stand 30 is in use it is effectively the use of 2 stands 8 & 9. Hence why its over hanging the interstand clearway. :ok:

OltonPete
20th Dec 2011, 09:37
sean377

Currently there is Jet2 B757 on Newcastle - Tenerife flying for Thomas Cook per flightradar24, so I suppose there is your answer.

At least the potential problem for today has been resolved.

Pete

TSR2
20th Dec 2011, 09:40
Your neighbours lie!

Think you had better read the post again. It says the crew told them it was unsafe to land.

TSR2
20th Dec 2011, 15:59
I'll consider myself TOLD then as I was not privvy to the conversation ;)

sean377
20th Dec 2011, 17:02
Having spoke in person to next door: "The crew had been advised not to fly to NCL and that they had no further information".

And having spoken to the airline today, they confirmed that the diversion was due to the aircraft being required at MAN for operational reasons.

ash666
20th Dec 2011, 17:11
No wonder they came bottom of the recent Which? magazine tables.

GAXLN
20th Dec 2011, 17:32
Ash666

Who came bottom?

ash666
20th Dec 2011, 17:40
TCX for both long haul and short haul(along with Ryan Air)

ash666
20th Dec 2011, 18:13
mind, the stats can be very misleading. It had NCL as one of the top "large" airports with,eg, the same number of stars(3) for shopping as LHR and LGW lol, rofl, lmao........

Jamesair
24th Dec 2011, 16:12
The Summer 2012 Charter Timetable has been published on the airport website.

Cram1075
27th Dec 2011, 16:05
Air Transat are using Airbus A330's when they return for the 2012 season, not sure if they will be 200's or 300's

CabinCrewe
27th Dec 2011, 17:01
Yes, announced earlier in the year. It doesnt matter if its -200 or -300, they have similar seating capacity in TS ops. Is it a double drop with somewhere else ?

Jamesair
27th Dec 2011, 17:15
yes, it's linked with Exeter as per this year

Cram1075
27th Dec 2011, 21:13
Cabincrewe, it would just be good to see a 333 for a change

Ops Guy
27th Dec 2011, 21:46
Does anyone have the timings? Is there a chance it could be on the ground with EK & MON at the same time? :ooh:

CabinCrewe
27th Dec 2011, 22:06
No.
(TS Departs 1205 on a Wed, DXB EK arrives 1145. Monarch is only a Tuesday for a short season and departs before 9am)

Ph1l1pncl
28th Dec 2011, 13:33
I work for the local Planning Authority and I have colleagues who work for Gateshead Council in the planning department. Since I am sitting in work slightly bored today I have been chatting to my uni friends who are also in work and my friend who works for Gateshead was discussing his workload and various applications. A proportion of them are for the jewish community who live in Gateshead.

So in my state of not wanting to work and being in the office, I have been catching up with PPRune, and then got thinking after a discussion with my colleague about holidays. I explained that I was booking flights to India and Emirates was cheapest from Newcastle than BA, KLM, Air France, etc. He said that he was looking up JET2 flights to Rome for his birthday and that double the price was in taxes and charges. We got onto this aswell as I found my Emirates flights on a price comparision travel wesbite for £23 pound cheaper than quoted on Emirates website.

I also got thinking about whether a flight to Tel Aviv would be possible from Newcastle, espcially with the large Jewish population in Gateshead? This could be once or twice a week like Manchester with Jet2, or Luton with El Al?

I hope everyone had a good festive holiday.

Sam Chipperfield
28th Dec 2011, 13:43
Was Just Asking If Anyone Knows If Flybe Will Base Any Of There Embraers Up Here In 2012?

Hope Everyone Had A Good Xmas And Has A Happy New Year !!!

Jamesair
28th Dec 2011, 15:24
seems to be a "steady as she goes" year for Flybe at NCL with no expansion to be seen. I note that Paris (CDG) now appears in the timetable with BE flight numbers...these must be an Air France code share. Doubt it we shall see a based EMB next year.

deltahotel9
29th Dec 2011, 09:57
Looking at the summer timetable it seems TCX may be changing the based units next year, some flights are showing as A320 I haven't worked through it in detail but we might not see 4x757 next summer, the demise of AEU might have contributed to this as they provided one plane this year?

CentreFix25
29th Dec 2011, 12:53
I glanced at it earlier and it looked to me like it was still 4 based aircraft. Could it be a combination of 757s and A320s? Do they have spare capacity to allocate 2 extra aircraft to NCL this Summer?

P330
29th Dec 2011, 13:40
Well the AF timetable is still showing Cityjet Avros for next summer, so maybe the BE route is an addition. Or are you talking about BE taking over the route from the winter?

Jamesair
29th Dec 2011, 15:22
The Flybe timetable for Paris is current and for next summer, pretty sure its just a code share with Air France.

Thomas Cook, they no longer seem to fly NCL - ACE for summer 2012

Travel Agent
30th Dec 2011, 08:24
They still have holidays on sale using flight number TCX6018 on a Thursday

deltahotel9
30th Dec 2011, 08:28
Which is also one of the flights showing as A320 on the timetable, departs 07:25 returns 17:20 May-Oct

Jamesair
30th Dec 2011, 10:30
appologies for that....got my information mixed up.:\

delta154
2nd Jan 2012, 13:13
Air Transat are using Airbus A330's when they return for the 2012 season, not sure if they will be 200's or 300's

Not sure if its been mentioned:

airtransat Maintains Porto & Shannon Service in S12 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/02/ts-oposnn-s12/)

Following airtransat routes will be cancelled in Summer 2012:
Toronto – Exeter – Newcastle

CabinCrewe
2nd Jan 2012, 13:22
Oh dear. Has always been a bit of a hit and miss route, but must be marginal if needing to be a split load in first place- The A330 was maybe just too big. Not sure I would like a "via" route after a transatlantic.
Odd that it is still bookable on TS website, but I guess that doesnt always mean anything.

delta154
2nd Jan 2012, 13:26
As a side note, its still bookable.

With the cancellation notice being so brief, and the way its worded, its hard to say if its:
a) A mistake
b) in the process of being cancelled
c) being cancelled after the 2012 season

Jamesair
2nd Jan 2012, 14:47
It was originally cancelled for the 2011 season then re-instated.

nigel osborne
2nd Jan 2012, 17:54
"Airline Route updates" are generally pretty good, however surely TS NCL will be kept..Think 310s are still operating into MAN next summer so NCL could still get one.

Nigel

CabinCrewe
2nd Jan 2012, 18:01
NCL and EXT have now gone from one of the booking engine pages (although still remain on the timetables section).

delta154
2nd Jan 2012, 20:09
NCL and EXT have now gone from one of the booking engine pages (although still remain on the timetables section)

The flight is now starting to be eliminated out of some GDS systems. Have checked a few sites and without trawling through every single airline ticketing agency, it seems the only place the flight remains is now the Air Transat website, but, it may be that their techie guys have not got round to removing it yet.

GrahamK
3rd Jan 2012, 08:15
A shame, can't help but think that the increase in APD has played it's part.

A couple of weather diversions so far this morning, an easyJet from GLA, and a BA 767 inbbound, again from GLA

jimbo canuck
3rd Jan 2012, 15:54
The NCL (and EXT) flights are no longer on their website
Jimbo

sunshine79
3rd Jan 2012, 16:14
YYZ is still available on Canadian Affair to book

chris1001
3rd Jan 2012, 17:19
A couple of Ryanair diversions from Edinburgh originating from Gdansk and Krakow I think when I travelled through today. Pax were bussed up to Edinburgh.

Top marks for the new border control area. A massive improvement for inbound pax. Also glad to see common sense now being used on the sheep pen prior to border control in that it will only be used when necessary rather than all arrivals.:D:D

CabinCrewe
3rd Jan 2012, 17:42
Canadian Affair notorious for not updating their website. Last year it was rumours of Monarch, TCX 757/A330's which their website failed to update

heslop2006
3rd Jan 2012, 20:48
I've just searched on the "flight schedules" on Air Transat's website and the only UK routes it was showing were BHX, GLA, LGW and MAN ..

But strangely, when you click for the flight bookings, Exeter and Manchester are on that list and LHR :confused:

MichaelAM
3rd Jan 2012, 21:40
This may be a long shot, but it's worth mentioning. When I used to fly Air Transat when it routed YYZ - NCL - YYZ I always found it full. However last year I was slightly put off by the fact that it routes via EXT and had to disembark and go through security at EXT all over again. Maybe this could be an indication as to why the Pax numbers fell, as most people chose to fly Transat from NCL as it was direct. Just a thought.

ash666
3rd Jan 2012, 21:42
Michaelam
It would certainly put me off.

goldeneye
3rd Jan 2012, 21:54
The EXT used to be paired with EDI back in the late 90's. This was in the days of Globespan being the GSA for Air Transat in the UK. TS had flights to Canada from all over the UK including ABZ, PIK, CWL etc on L1011 & 757's.

heslop2006
4th Jan 2012, 00:44
Canadian Affair still have NCL on the website Flight Schedules For Cheap Flights to Canada & The UK :: Canadian Affair (http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/flight_schedules/)

but if you put NCL - Toronto and click summer 2012, it says "non-stop, Aicraft: A310 " :confused:

VentureGo
4th Jan 2012, 09:34
Canadian Affair site also shows return from Toronto via Exeter ( i.e. Has not been updated from Summer 2011)!

skyman771
4th Jan 2012, 10:54
but if you put NCL - Toronto and click summer 2012, it says "non-stop, Aicraft: A310 "
It WAS non stop NCL-YYZ it was came inbound via EXT presumably due to runway limitations at EXT.
Anyhow to state the obvious, then one should simply allow out of date websites to be updated rather than hanging ones hopes on the fact that the inevitable is not going to happen:ugh:

heslop2006
4th Jan 2012, 11:09
I'm certainly in agreeance with the news of the flight etc, It's just a little annoying that none of the websites have changed or updated their info.

VentureGo
4th Jan 2012, 22:21
Hope Newcastle can attract more routes than the forecasts predict:http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publication...-forecasts.pdf (http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/uk-aviation-forecasts-2011/uk-aviation-forecasts.pdf)
According to this Newcastle is showing hardly any growth compared to other UK Regional Airports. Maybe time the Board looked at their performance? New York, Frankfurt...... Rumours of Toronto being withdrawn?

Page 149/150 Tables ref: G2/G3 refers to forecast growth. This suggests Newcastle virtually standing still, while being overtaken by Bristol, LeedsBradford, Liverpool, Belfast Int, and East Midlands.

Would it not help the whole region to concentrate efforts and financing on better surface links from Durham Tees Valley Airport (DTV) catchment areas and expand services at Newcastle, rather than trying to keep DTV in light of recent circumstances. With better and faster Rail links for passengers and freight, Newcastle would have a stronger regional identity, with hopefully more services.
Would it not help the whole region to concentrate efforts and financing on better surface links from Durham Tees Valley Airport (DTV) catchment areas and expand services at Newcastle, rather than trying to keep DTV in light of recent circumstances. With better and faster Rail links for passengers and freight, Newcastle would have a stronger regional identity, with hopefully more services.

Jamesair
4th Jan 2012, 22:45
Are there two flights together from and to the IOM tomorrow? Thats what the board seems to indicate.

HH6702
5th Jan 2012, 07:49
Yes there airports are growing passenger numbers but are they making money on these flights are is the airport making a loss??

This growth has come from ryanair do we really need ryanair at ncl upsetting jet2/Easyjet etc?

Airports have to make money!!

HH6702
5th Jan 2012, 08:01
I think ncl will be growing just not at the same pace as brs or ema
Just look at jet2 growing and Brussels route..

It's all good I wouldn't be knocking ncl yet we will loose some routes but gain others it's all about the demand needed and the money to be made...

Look at dtv trying hard at different things but nothing working.

HH6702
5th Jan 2012, 20:09
Hi

Airport charter timetable updated.... (5th jan 2012)

looks like the following

2 x 757
2 x A320.... will these be inhouse aircraft or another airline...

** YYZ is still on timetable so mayne not dropped after all **

andrewmcharlton
5th Jan 2012, 21:53
VentureGo

Maybe time the Board looked at their performance? New York, Frankfurt...... Rumours of Toronto being withdrawn?

New York is not going to happen anytime soon and Frankfurt is desirable but has slot limitations according to my mate at Lufthansa.

Go and suggest that to those who want DTV kept open and get your tin hat on. In any event, how much better do you want surface links? There is Motorway to the door, Metro link, buses etc, what more do you need?

fl dutchman
5th Jan 2012, 23:09
Also seems that many flights start later and finish earlier in the season.

Could be much worse though.

In general there seems to be less flights to the Canary Islands this coming sumer season compared to last with both TCX and BY.

SWBKCB
6th Jan 2012, 05:45
There is Motorway to the door

Point of fact, no there isn't - dual carriageway yes, but not a motorway and anybody who thinks that the the Western by pass couldn't be improved to the benefit of the airport needs to speak to those in the south of the catchment area - it is perceived as a major disincentive.

GrahamK
6th Jan 2012, 07:23
With regards the BRU route, and it's future after the sale of BMI regional is complete. It seems that SNBA have taken on lease at least 1 DHC8-400 from Tyroleon, I wonder if this is them evaluating the type for potential use on it's UK routes currently operated by BMIR to EDI, BRS and NCL?

As for TCX, good to still see a 4 a/c base

VentureGo
6th Jan 2012, 12:06
Poor rail links from East Teeside (M'bro/Stockton) - A19/A1 links congested at peak times. - No dedicated Airport coach service.
My point is if DTV were to close (and this seems more likely: Durham Tees Valley Airport (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/features/letters/9455599.Durham_Tees_Valley_Airport/) then improved links will both serve the people of Teeside in faster and comfortable travel to their nearest Airport in Newcastle, and serve Newcastle in attacting more routtes having a wider catchment area. The alternative Airport being Leeds Bradford which is further afield and unreliable in poor adverse weather.

skyman771
6th Jan 2012, 12:43
andrewmcharlton
New York is not going to happen anytime soon and Frankfurt is desirable but has slot limitations according to my mate at Lufthansa.
Not quite correct, :-
New York is not going to happen FULL STOP ! :ugh::ugh::ugh:+
..Frankfurt is desirable but has slot limitations...Yeh!, Yeh!, Yeh!!! really? & do you think that if an airline came calling to FRA offering further destinations in say China, they would be fobbed off with "slot limitations", this is the standard convenient excuse:yuk: (load of b:mad:cks) which would no doubt exist even if FRA opened a further dozen new runways!
The reality is that ecconomic conditions in the North East and the spin off on living standards & disposable income are always going to be refelected in destinations & service levels offered when dealing with airlines becoming ever more risk averse.
As for forecasts then I learned many years ago the folly of relying on forecasts, which depending on source & views of the forecaster (political:E, or otherwise) can be very subjective indeed.
NCL has I fear got to live with the fact that days of annual pax figures of 5M+ are gone, & it would be a folly to forecast otherwise. Comparing with other airports such as EMA is irrelevant as what you are looking at outside London is demographic movement of pax switching from other airports as much as any actual growth in the region.
As sad as it may be the deteriorating position at DTV offers no remission to NCL, those pax having necessarily made alternate arrangements years since.

SWBKCB
6th Jan 2012, 16:13
FRA slots argument loses a bit of credibility when LH have recently started an ABZ service - looks like slots are available for flights to regional airports when the money is good enough!

CentreFix25
6th Jan 2012, 18:42
Too many optimists and spotters on this thread and not enough realists, Skyman and SWBKCB nailed it!

I think Bristol (whom we compared favourably a couple of year ago, and have since left us behind) have got a FRA service (thrice daily I think) and ABZ similar, but NCL has not even a sniff.

Nobody is prepared to take a chance, or prehaps they have done the math and it don't work.

With regard to Air Transat, it seems that Shannon (and Porto) was not initially loaded onto the system only to appear at a later date, only for Exeter and NCL to be canned. I'm wondering if Shannon were a little more proactive and convinced TSC that they were a better bet.

Maybe time the Board looked at their performance?
I think VentureGo might have a point. Jon Parkin might have been underhanded, but since he has departed and was replaced we seem to have gone steadily backwards at a greater rate that similar sized airports. I'm sure new owners (if it happens) will have a clear out, starting at the top.

GrahamK
6th Jan 2012, 19:41
Believe the BRS-FRA link with LH got canned 2 years ago. ABZ link has started with the opening of the new runway (and LH want a bit of the oil money up there).

andrewmcharlton
6th Jan 2012, 20:52
So it may not technically be a "motorway" to the door of the airport. Not a prayer that the Western Bypass will be upgraded to assist the airport and apart from peak rush hour it's hardly the end of the world having some traffic issues. Folks seem to think they have some divine right to the smoothest journey in history.

Poor rail links from East Teesside (M'bro/Stockton)

A quick check on Trainline shows a train almost every 30 minutes from Middlesbrough to Newcastle tomorrow as an example. How often are you wanting?

There are way too many airports in this country which are too close together and it seems every feels they should have all facilities right on their doorstep.

ncleflights
6th Jan 2012, 22:30
just to pick up on Newcastle and its transports issues, Newcastle is possibly one of the best regional airports in the country to get to. While its not a motorway the A696 is dual carriageway all the way from the A1 to the airport car parks. We also have a fairly decent bus service to the airport and the Metro service is excellent in my opinion as this links directly into the main rail network. Compare this to the likes of Bristol, Edinburgh, Leeds, Belfast who all have public transport links far worse than that of Newcastle but are experiencing better growth.

As for traffic congestion then again we have airports that are again in a worse position than that of Newcastle. I have just spent most of December working at Manchester Airport and I can speak from personal experience that the traffic problems I experienced every day were for worse than I have ever known getting to Newcastle airport. The M60 ring road especially as it goes past the Trafford Centre had huge tailbacks every day.

ncleflights
6th Jan 2012, 23:07
Skyman771 - I think your slightly inaccurate in your assumption that the routes are determined by the living standards and disposable income of folks living in the NE. The statistical data used by aviation analysts when analysing possible new routes actually reflects the opposite, of those in full time employment the disposable income of people in the NE is in many cases far higher than that of many other parts in the country.

I think that the factor that most influences routes which are operated from NCL has more to do with the fact that as a region we have a smallish population and a couple of years ago when NCL achieved much higher passenger figures we did very well in getting folks from the South East Scotland. However once management at Edinburgh got their act together and routes developed these passengers went North to Edinburgh rather than South to Newcastle. The decline in numbers does roughly match the increase to the North of us.

The simple fact remains that as a small nation we have two many airports

On the subject of New York, I personally believe that management at NCL are far to pre-occupied with getting this route. Mr Mason and Mr Laws do at every interview now 'bang on' about how this route remains the airports number 1 target. It does sometimes make me wonder if NCL Managements time would be better spent chasing more realistic opportunities. As a region we need better business links to cites in Germany especially as Germany appears to be going to further secure its position as the economic and political powerhouse of Eurpoe. Data suggests that certainly Frankfurt is one destination that many businesses want and indeed think we need.

SWBKCB
7th Jan 2012, 05:56
Spot on Ncleflights re routes, impact of EDI etc. Getting back to the transport issues, I deliberately used the word 'perception' in earlier post re the Western By Pass - talk to anybody south of the river or read any of the comments on the possible closer of MME and having to use NCL instead, and that is what they think.

Probably not helped by the local media who bang on about how bad it is to try and stir up support for investment - bit of a double edged sword. I'm sure I've seen it quoted as being the most congested section of road outside the south east which seems to be a bit of an exaggeration...

skyman771
7th Jan 2012, 17:27
ncleflights, it is not I who is "slightly" inaccurate, moreso that you are "slightly" too pedantic. Statistics can easily be misrepresented. You choose to refer only to those that are only in full time employment, thus excluding all others...
Totally endorse your point re EDI, which draws to attention that in NCL's case they have suffered a demograpghic shift of pax back over the scottish border.
Where to now? my view is also that perhaps too much attention has been expended on NYC, and that in Jet2 as opposed to EZY / RYR then time may show that perhaps NCL has backed the "wrong horse!".:hmm:

Jamesair
7th Jan 2012, 17:43
Interesting observations Skyman, I always thought that with more flights offered from EDI by Easyjet etc, that would have an impact on NCL traffic.

Where to go from here? Concentrate less on NYC and more on European city destinations i.e. FRA and perhaps scandinavia ie. SAS/Norwegian. Try to get EZY to rebase aircraft. Jet2 seems to concentrate on the bucket and spade market and keeps adding destinations. New airlines would be a plus.

Flybe and Eastern seem to be in standstill mode at NCL

CabinCrewe
7th Jan 2012, 18:49
However once management at Edinburgh got their act together and routes developed these passengers went North to Edinburgh rather than South to Newcastle. The decline in numbers does roughly match the increase to the North of us.
But GLA has also seen the same decline to roughly match :confused:

MerchantVenturer
7th Jan 2012, 19:35
There has been some comment in this thread recently about NCL's performance in terms of passenger numbers compared with peer airports in recent years.

A look at those airports in the range 4-6 mppa shows that NCL has performed in broadly similar fashion to EMA and BFS in the past six years though not as well as LPL and BRS who have remained almost flat.

I've also added LBA to the group albeit its passenger numbers fall below the 4-6 mppa range and EDI and GLA who are above the range.

EDI has remained largely flat whilst GLA has seen continuous annual falls until this year.

The difference between the better performing (or perhaps less worse might be a better description) airports and those that haven't done so well lies in the number of passengers lost in the recession rather than any significant growth.

Below are shown the mppa figures for the above airports in the years beginning 2006 and ending with 2011, though the 2011 figures are estimates based on the most recent CAA data available.

NCL 5.4, 5.6, 5.0, 4.6, 4.3, 4.3

BRS 5.7, 5.9, 6.2, 5.6, 5.7, 5.7

EMA 4.7, 5.4, 5.6, 4.6, 4.1, 4.2

BFS 5.0, 5.2, 5.2, 4.5, 4.0, 4.1

LPL 5.0, 5.5, 5.3, 4.9, 5.0, 5.2

LBA 2.8, 2.9, 2.8, 2.5, 2.7, 2.9

EDI 8.6, 9.0, 9.0, 9.0, 8.6, 9.3

GLA 8.8, 8.7, 8.0, 7.2, 6.5, 6.8

fl dutchman
8th Jan 2012, 23:28
Curious to see a press ad in Fridays Evening Chronicle advertising flights from NCL to Toronto with Canadian Affair. The ad was by Canadian Affair not a travel agent. Perhaps they forgot to cancel it, or is the route still flying.

Flybe,
They seem to be cutting back on LGW with only 2 flights on Mondays (of all days) for the next few weeks or so. In addition Southampton also down to twice daily most days until summer starts. Far cry from when Eastern were competing on SOU when it was about 8 or so daily.

LN-KGL
8th Jan 2012, 23:57
MerchantVenturer, you can add even larger British airports like LGW, MAN and STN that follow the same trend as NCL (a national trend). The really odd British airports are LHR, EDI and partly BRS.

HH6702
9th Jan 2012, 11:54
The flights will now be operated by TCX aircraft
Not sure if 757 or 330

CabinCrewe
9th Jan 2012, 12:47
dont think Canadian affair know if theyre coming or going. Being offered as Air Transat A330 "with Club Class" on a dummy booking, then A310 once weekly on the timetable section and now TCX being thown in the mix. Thought they were cutting longhaul significantly. No wonder people are confused.

Jamesair
9th Jan 2012, 16:24
The YYZ flight is still showing in the latest Airport Charter timetable...edition 4 of 6th January. If TCX are flying it now, thats good news at least, unlike reading every other day about a new route for EDI. However, I stay optimistic and hope that Ryanair announces something soon to replace Oslo.

ncleflights
9th Jan 2012, 23:57
skyman771 - sorry I was not intending to be pedantic as you put it but where are you getting your info from, Ive been an airline analyst for sometime now and the NSO only produce statistics on income and disposable income on those in employment and I am not aware that any organisation holds information on income/disposable income for any other group. Therefore this is the only accurate information that would be used when an airline looks at new routes, Waitrose a new store, Mcdonalds a new restaurant etc, etc.

Also with regard to your comment on backing the wrong horse I am not sure if its a case of backing the wrong horse or simply a case of it becoming a one horse race! Ryanair did a huge amount of work three years ago with regard to a NCL base however the main aspect of this research was that the 738 they operate is to large for the potential new routes they would want from a NCL base. NCL will therefore only pick up the odd routes from Ryanair.

As for easyjet, in my opinion and I hope I am wrong, but I think they will be off when the 10 year agreement comes to an end which I think is 2013. They seem to have lost interest in any sort of development at NCL. It was my understanding that NCL was to get the Berlin service back this year with a Berlin based unit but plans were scrapped just before the announcement was due.

The story seems very similar to the Wizz air scenario, when DTV - Warsaw route was pulled I understand the service was to swap to NCL but again plans were scrapped at the last moment, could this be an indication that NCL management are not responding to the screw tightening on costs required by the budget airlines?

This therefore leaves us with Jet2 for an increase in scheduled ops from NCL again many of the new routes announced of late particularly the city ones are using smaller 737 aircraft, as Jet 2 replace their fleet with the larger 800 series variants then I fear these routes will also be short lived. My advice if you fancy as city break to Rome or Venice book sooner rather than later as the routes may not be around in 2013 or 2014.

I did have high hopes when FLYBE opened their base as I think they have the ideal sized aircraft for new profitable routes from NCL. It is my understanding that FLYBE still have expansion plans for new routes from NCL and plans are on hold rather then filed in the bin. We will have to wait and see though

tonker
10th Jan 2012, 14:22
I wonder how much effort there is put into promoting the North East around the globe as a destination to visit. We always look at routes like New York based upon how many local people want to go there, but there is little talk of making the operation a 2 way process.

It seems that many countries have seen their industry change or diminish over the years, and many have then benefited from an influx of tourism. The eastern bloc springs to mind.

If the weathers grim, then call it Winter Sun:ok:

simoncorbett
10th Jan 2012, 15:09
Tonker
I'm sorry to say.. to most American tourists there is only London and thats where they fly to... even when they are going to York/Stratford etc..

SWBKCB
10th Jan 2012, 17:26
Hadrian's Wall Beamish International should just about do it!

tonker
10th Jan 2012, 18:27
Thats my point. They are not aware of Newcastle and the area, therefore they need educating. I don't think geography has always been Americans strong point.

VentureGo
10th Jan 2012, 19:08
Inbound Tourism?! - Interesting angle! Well, before the points made by Tonker are dismissed let's consider our region's assets for tourism. Americans love History & Heritage. I've recently returned from New York, having done the Tours! The Guides on 2 trips were fascinated to know Washington Old Hall (Tyne & Wear) is the ancestoral home of the George Washinton family and could not understand why we don't promote the area of outstanding coastline, Lake District, Durham / Cathedral, Bamburgh/Alnwick(Harry Potter? Castles, Beamish Open Air museum (maybe re-located from original locations eg Annfield plain Co-op - but still original!) Americans would love Fly-Drive breaks in the region (Driving on the "wrong" side of the road and trying out a "Stick-Shift" gearbox!) They love regional accents! Why not fly to Newcastle and return from Edinburgh? - I often fly BA via Heathrow to Orlando or Tampa then return from Miami, having visited the Florida Keys after some days in Orlando and Gold Coast. Problem is no agency or tourist body is communicating this with brochures, websites suggested iteneries etc.... Would be interesting to see all interested parties e.g. Airport, Car Hire Companies, Regional Development, Hotels etc.. work together on this. Not all Americans want to return to London, having visited the capital on previous visits. But, they also, do not want to come to a region without clear itineraries, detailing POI and driving times/distances etc... to maximise their visit.

tonker
11th Jan 2012, 08:46
Belsay Castle and gardens are just 10 minutes away, and some of the nicest grounds i have ever seen. Roll on the spring.

The whole region needs to collectively co-ordinate an "inbound tourism" plan. Kielder water is totally wasted in my view. If that was the US and A, and it was done properly it could be our local Lake Tahoe. People will bulk at this sort of fairy tale thinking, which is actually the sort of approach that peoples like Americans apply to every facet of their lives. Think big, think collectively and think about a good plan. Easy money and lots of employment.

Jamesair
12th Jan 2012, 22:55
I suppose you all noticed that Emirates are putting a second daily flight plus larger a/c into Glasgow from 1st June....will this affect NCL chances for the 777 or additional frequency?

skyman771
13th Jan 2012, 14:17
I suppose you all noticed that Emirates are putting a second daily flight plus larger a/c into Glasgow from 1st June....will this affect NCL chances for the 777 or additional frequency?
I had assumed that GLA was 2* daily in any event, if not then it's a long time since the decision was made at EK.
As for GLA's 777 equipment this is probably more in the context of the fleet disposal plans of the 330's.
As for NCL 2* daily is a no go, as for eventual NCL 330 replacement, all seems to have gone very quiet.
I would imagine NCL will, as likely as not, be the last destination on the A330 route network as & when they are all disposed of. As to what happens then is anyones guess, perhaps optimistic to mention A350's. I would have thought that the earlier plans of 777 equipment for NCL would have been published by now....are all spare 777's that are coming available are being used to replace 330's taken out of service elsewhere?
As to why GLA would get 777 swap instead of NCL then this probably has something to do with operating performance issues of the various type's of 772's & 773's at NCL as much as down to pax LF's.
To a lesser extent then EK marketing can control the demand for their various UK services by promotion through price differentials & other discounting & marketing activities. As such then whether there is any drop off in pax / freight due to migration away from NCL to GLA/MAN depends as much as anything as to where EK view NCL in their long UK operations strategy.:suspect:

Jamesair
13th Jan 2012, 16:24
The December pax figures for UK airports are published on Monday so we shall learn how the Dubai route has fared for that month, although we won't be privy to the cargo figures, which I understand are a very important factor in this routes viability.
I understand that the routes main strength is the connectivity to the Far East and Australasia via its Dubai base.

ConstantFlyer
13th Jan 2012, 20:11
Now that regional development agency One NorthEast has been abolished, there is no reason why Newcastle Airport couldn't promote itself abroad as the UK's "gateway to the Lake District". Previously, ONE wouldn't have wished to tread on the toes of the NW development agency, which naturally promoted Manchester Airport in that role.

highwideandugly
13th Jan 2012, 20:20
Wish it was us(DTV)...but my man in the know says September the 1st for 777...to be announced in the next week or so.

Earlyriser
13th Jan 2012, 22:05
Which would conincide with the 5th anniversary of the Route at NCL sounds like something EK would do!

Didn't EK announce the A380 would be operating the MAN flight on there route anniversary?

heslop2006
13th Jan 2012, 23:52
Coming back to the Toronto confusion, the charter timetable has been updated again Jan 10th and Toronto is still on the timetable as Air Transat, A330 via Exeter ...

fl dutchman
14th Jan 2012, 15:11
Toronto.

Another Canadian Affair press ad in Newcastle Chronicle today promoting NCL flights.

HH6702
16th Jan 2012, 20:16
Rumours of bergan and Newquay to start soon with flybe

GrahamK
17th Jan 2012, 08:29
Newcastle-Bergen 3 x weekly from March 25th
Newcastle-Newquay 1 x weekly from May 5th

Jamesair
17th Jan 2012, 11:17
BERGEN dep 1030 arr 1425 Tu/Th/Sa.... 27/3 - 27/10

NEWQUAY dep 1410 arr 1330 Sa .... 5/5 - 22/9

Jamesair
17th Jan 2012, 12:14
The December pax figures as a whole are + 6.7% but against the snow last December, more importantly the year is -0.2% with NCL -Gatwick figures not yet factored in.

Highlights are:

Paris 16,457 + 28% reflecting the bigger a/c
Amsterdam 22,571 + 17%
Cork 1607 +13%
Malta 2263 + 32%
Stavanger 1932 + 45%
Prague 2308 +6%
Alicante 8293 up from 5455 last year..reflecting the Jet 2 winter service
Dusseldorf 3756 + 7%
Brussels 3329 +1% (the smallest of recent increases)

Dubai 13,726 - 3%
Faro 2351 - 6%
Barcelona 5001 -10%

Domestic routes are mixed...Gatwick figures are not out yet.

Heathrow 40,923 + 42% (against all of the cancellations last Dec.)
Belfast City 2897 + 8%
Belfast Int 15,126 + 13%
Bristol 14,334 +

Isle of Man 185 - 66%
Aberdeen 1394 - 29%
Exeter 1657 -11%

Travel Agent
17th Jan 2012, 13:09
Easyjet upgrading an A319 to A320 link here (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/breaking-news/2012/01/17/easyjet-unveils-newcastle-airport-expansion-72703-30140337/)

apaul
17th Jan 2012, 14:30
The usual standard of accurate press reporting - '150-seat Airbus A320 replacing the existing 124-seat A319' - only 30 odd seats out. If EasyJet had any sense it would give up joining Ryainair in the gutter of dishonest pricing and use the A320 on routes where there would be a good demand from Newcastle like Cyprus and the Canaries. Often the charter and Jet2 prices are high.

fa2fi
17th Jan 2012, 15:03
Excellent news!! I wonder if new routes will come or just increased capacity on the same number of flights. Will it be based or just a night stopper from another base?

SWBKCB
17th Jan 2012, 16:44
From the NIA website:

easyJet has today announced it will increase capacity on eight of its routes from the North East’s airport with the arrival of a new aircraft.

The £20m Airbus A320 will arrive at the airport later this year meaning easyJet is able to provide seats for 13,000 more North East passengers.

Hugh Aitken, easyJet’s commercial manager, confirmed: “Due to increased customer demand we are replacing an Airbus A319 with an A320 to provide additional seats to our loyal flyers. This move demonstrates that easyJet is committed to Newcastle Airport and continues to invest in this key base for the benefit of passengers in the region. We are determined to make travel even easier and more affordable for all, and a larger aircraft means we can make some of our most popular destinations even more accessible to people in the North East. Passengers flying from Newcastle will now find it even easier to jet off and soak up the sun and city culture with additional flights to favourites such as Malta, Majorca, Paris and Bristol.”

Additional capacity will be available on easyJet’s most popular routes:
Malta, Majorca, Paris, Bristol, Alicante, Malaga, Barcelona and Belfast.

Good day for Newcastle!

Sam Chipperfield
17th Jan 2012, 17:01
Good To Hear That Easyjet Basing A A320 Up Here, Does Anyone Know When It Will Arrive? Also Will The FlyBe Routes Be Operated By A Dash-8? Just Need Emirates To Say The 777's Will Be In Use From 2012 For Even Better News !!!

CabinCrewe
17th Jan 2012, 17:33
Would an EK 777 help the 8% drop in pax combined over past 3 months ?

VentureGo
17th Jan 2012, 17:36
Not all about Pax. Freight has been growing on NCL route with Emirates year on year.

GAXLN
17th Jan 2012, 19:00
CabinCrewe - maths is clearly not your strong subject is it? You cannot add together three months declines and then claim it is an 8% drop when it is not.:= Want to bet now on whether January will be up or down? I'll go for it being up.

Anyway, in airlines, it's not just about passenger numbers as they need to be multiplied by route yield to arrive at route revenue and then account taken of network contribution plus, of course, freight's similar contribution to compare against operating costs and overheads. If costs have not changed and you achieve a five percent yield improvement with volume down two percent that is a year on year improvement as far as the airline is concerned.

SWBKCB
17th Jan 2012, 20:10
Some subtle differences in the statement on the NIA website:

Hugh Aitken, easyJet’s commercial manager, confirmed: “Due to increased customer demand we are replacing an Airbus A319 with an A320 to provide additional seats to our loyal flyers. This move demonstrates that easyJet is committed to Newcastle Airport and continues to invest in this key base for the benefit of passengers in the region. We are determined to make travel even easier and more affordable for all, and a larger aircraft means we can make some of our most popular destinations even more accessible to people in the North East. Passengers flying from Newcastle will now find it even easier to jet off and soak up the sun and city culture with additional flights to favourites such as Malta, Majorca, Paris and Bristol.”

And that on EasyJets website

Hugh Aitken, easyJet's commercial manager confirmed: "Due to increased customer demand we are replacing an Airbus A319 with an Airbus A320 to provide additional seats to our loyal flyers. This move demonstrates that easyJet is committed to further growth at Newcastle Airport. Passengers flying from Newcastle will now find it even easier to jet off and soak up the sun and city culture with additional flights to favourites such as Malta, Majorca, Paris and Bristol on offer."

JSCL
17th Jan 2012, 20:12
The differences make sense, one is a sales pitch PR from the airline and one is an airports announcement PR.

Jamesair
17th Jan 2012, 23:23
All the Easyjet statements seem to mention "additional" flights to Malta, Palma, Paris and Bristol. These don't seem to be showing on the timetable yet as far as I can see.

heslop2006
18th Jan 2012, 01:37
An all-in-all great day for NCL! :)

Mr @ Spotty M
18th Jan 2012, 20:52
Did it not say additional seats and not flights?

SWBKCB
18th Jan 2012, 20:57
It says flights - see posts 2733 and 2738. Might not be what it means, but it's what it says.

ash666
20th Jan 2012, 11:46
Flybe confirmed:
UK low-fare carrier Flybe has revealed an additional six routes that it will launch this summer from the UK, comprising a mix of domestic and international services. It may be less than ten weeks until the 2012 summer schedules are introduced at the end of March, reducing the time for forward bookings, but Flybe has pressed ahead with its plans to further extend its network and adding an additional 34 weekly flights.

There will be two additional routes from Newcastle International in North East England, a weekly domestic link to Newquay from May 5, 2012 and the resumption of a key link to Bergen in Norway on a three times weekly basis from March 25, 2012. Norway’s second largest city is twinned with Newcastle and the two have a close and active bond. The King of Norway, Olav V, opened Newcastle's Civic Centre in 1968 and each December the City is presented with a Christmas tree by the City of Bergen. The route was previously operated by Eastern Airways.

Wellington Bomber
20th Jan 2012, 13:47
T3 to Bergen, Still was seasonal, I wonder if it is now?

I bet the big wigs at Eastern did not see that coming, but then again up to 80 seats to Bergen to fill????

ConstantFlyer
20th Jan 2012, 14:10
up to 80 seats to Bergen to fill?

I expect a fair bit of the traffic will originate in Norway, rather than the UK.

apaul
20th Jan 2012, 15:55
The route to Stavanger has been going a long time with similar sized planes. Bergen is probably more attractive for British tourists because it's closer to the Fjords.

VentureGo
20th Jan 2012, 15:59
Remember BRAATHENS S.A.F.E. (Now SAS Norway) used to operate Boeing 737-500 a/c to Oslo, Stavanger & Bergen. Lots of Norwegians visiting the area as well as outbound from Ncl. - Eastern's fares were too high to Bergen. Maybe Flybe can link into their sister companies network in Scandinavia & use Newcastle as their UK Hub for Northern routes. ?!

Jamesair
20th Jan 2012, 16:16
I seem to remember that Jet 2 were once on the Bergen route as were Wideroe.

I hope Flybe can make it work and maybe get links to Oslo and Copenhagen re-started. With the absence of a sea ferry link, reasonably priced fares for business and leisure travellers should give it a better chance than previously.

(unless of course a new ferry operator has appeared since I last checked it out)

VentureGo
20th Jan 2012, 16:24
Considering should Tees Valley Airport close, which seems more & more likely (Especially for passenger services), wouldn't the best alternative be to provide better, faster and more comfortable surface links to Newcastle Airport via Coach & Rail. In particular from the East of the region; Midllesbrough & Stockton are not served well,(in terms of Comfort & Speed) although the cost in providing better rail rolling stock, interlining with the Metro to Newcastle Airport and regular Direct Airport Coach services, would be far less than those costs associated in attempting recue of a failing Tees Airport. There may be further benefits in this approach, attracting more services to the North East's wider region, with a larger catchment population.
Both Airports receive significant support from councils & development agencies - Surely concentrating all efforts into Newcastle with better & convenient links to Teeside (only 42 miles-Stockton) would better serve our whole region.

"Synergy may be defined as two or more things functioning together to produce a result not independently obtainable" - or 2+2=6! - Sure LBA will be only to ready to promote from the south of the region!
Thoughts!

HH6702
20th Jan 2012, 20:49
When Flybe set up base at NCL a few years ago they said in the press that the plan was to base upto 4 aircraft and open up new links.
They were hoping to add routes to Scandinavia and germany.

Since then all went quiet.

We got Hannover direct for a short period of time.

With flybe now looking to find money from non domestic routes hopefully this may now be the start of those promised routes.

Lets hope businesses and the local people use this route.

could we see them add the following over the next 12-18 months

Oslo
Stockholme
Helsinki
Copenhagen

Maybe even those other german routes

Hannover
Munich
Berlin
Frankfurt

What do you think?

Jamesair
20th Jan 2012, 22:51
I doubt if Hanover will come back.....it had military connections and with the UK army bases in Germany closing probably would become uneconomic to operate.

Berlin...needs to come back...maybe on Jet 2's wish list
Frankfurt I would expect LH to operate it, if it happens

Plenty of opportunities for Flybe though to Scandinavia.

VentureGo
26th Jan 2012, 14:49
Recent news of NAS plans to substantially increase their route network, possibly suggests feeder services into their Norwegian hubs: Oslo, Stavanger & Bergen.
Could this be good news for Newcastle, with eventual Low Cost flights via Scandinavia to US cities on their new 787 aircraft ( articles suggest 787's have been purchased for Transatlantic routes) Eastern's prices to Stavanger are extremely high (min. £961 rtn when I checked for the next 2 months) Regular reasonably priced service would go some where to establish links as we had with BRAATHENS.

Jamesair
26th Jan 2012, 16:21
Don't forget that Wideroe fly to Stavanger as well....4 times weekly.

Travel Agent
26th Jan 2012, 16:55
I remember the daily services to Bergen & Stavanger and Oslo operated by two of Dan Air's B146's... Travelled to Bergen 3 times on it touching down at Stavanger on the way out, always used to leave NCL at around midday. It operated for years, suprising how the market changes....

Jamesair
26th Jan 2012, 17:14
I think Kristiansand and Gothenburg were planned but I think never got to fruition.

fozi999
26th Jan 2012, 19:31
A quick note from me on the EK passenger decreases.

I would expect the frequency increases and introduction of the A380 at MAN will be affecting the passenger side.

I know some people from teeside who prefer to get the chauffeur driven service to fly business from MAN. The main reasons are more timing options due to greater frequency and the better business product.

If NCL gets a 777 with the latest business then some of those people will probably shift to NCL away from MAN when the timings suit.

MARKEYD
27th Jan 2012, 12:56
At the start of January it was mentioned in detail that Air Transat would not be operating to Toronto this summer with the service inbound via Exeter .
Some booking engines had stopped taking any bookings for the service it does however still remain on Canadian Affairs / Air Transat web site .

Is the service still operating ?

Jamesair
27th Jan 2012, 17:02
This is one for Travel Agent...is it still booking?