PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Skipness One Echo
23rd Sep 2014, 11:44
I really cannot see why it couldn't work
It's marginal, Newcastle is not a capital city like Edinburgh nor a large inbound tourist gateway for the the Highlands and Islands like Glasgow. It's an English regional city and given United's Belfast route is hanging by a thread and Bristol was dropped, I don't see United giving it a go. American are phasing out the B757 and USAirways are now part of AA, which leaves Delta who had two goes at EDI and failed. Since BA are not going to be an option and Emirates have many more high yielding options going West from Europe, there's is no likely contender aside from Jet2 doing seasonal IT type ventures while they still have B757s. Virgin don't operate anything small enough and are focussed on maxing out the JV at LHR with Delta.

Going forward NCL are even more likely to be squeezed by an increasingly aggressive EDI, especially if with QR and EY moving in, Emirates decide they don't want to be left out of a rich European capital city. Look how fast EK moved for a third daily MAN to drive QR back to less than twice daily, it's a firefight.

Also given BHX lacks any F offering, I doubt NCL would be in the running? QR don't offer F from EDI nor will EY, the oddball here is EK offering F from GLA (!)

EK77WNCL
23rd Sep 2014, 12:09
Yeah apart from those reasons... There is demand enough to make profit... But not as much profit as they want to make.

Your comment about EK is relevant, but will they be allowed into those markets? MXP-JFK kicked up a hell of a fuss. If EK35/36 were to continue on to JFK (after a second flight is introduced) I could see it working, although with slow growth, just as happened with NCL-DXB, which is slowly maturing into something many thought was never possible.

Just so I'm not seeming too NCL centric other routes I could see happening are DXB-MAN-LAX, possibly DXB-MAN-DFW/HOU and DXB-GLA-ORD. I don't think EK would be wanting to start out by going up against the big US legacies on routes to New York from MAN/GLA. LGW could be an option for transatlantic but slots could be difficult.

Emirates and their focus on new markets outside of Dubai will definitely be something to watch. Even though they still have a way to go from DXB.

EDIT: Didn't see your edit, do EK definitely not serve F from BHX... They have the new lounge and everything, same as GLA. I don't think it's fair to compare EY and QR to EK in terms of when/where/how they offer First class. QR is phasing first class out and EY doesn't have many more planes with first either. Emirates is the opposite, granted making them the oddball.

Kev 1
23rd Sep 2014, 12:17
Increase in capacity on the NCL-LHR route from mid/late November - with up to eight flights per day on selected days - operated by a mixture of A319/A320:

NCL-LHR
1234567 07:45 (09:05) BA1321
123456- 09:35 (11:00) BA1325
---4--- 11:15 (12:35) BA1329
-----6- 11:45 (13:05) BA1327
12345-- 12:15 (13:35) BA1327
-----6- 12:40 (14:00) BA1349
------7 12:40 (14:00) BA1327
------7 13:35 (15:00) BA1325
1------ 13:45 (15:05) BA1349
-234--- 14:35 (15:55) BA1333
1---5-7 14:45 (16:05) BA1333
1234567 15:50 (17:10) BA1331
-----6- 18:10 (19:30) BA1335
12345-7 18:15 (19:35) BA1335
12345-7 20:10 (21:20) BA1337

LHR-NCL
1234567 (07:35) 08:45 BA1324
1234567 (08:40) 09:50 BA1330
1234567 (09:50) 11:00 BA1326
12345-7 (12:45) 13:55 BA1332
1234-67 (15:50) 17:00 BA1334
----5-- (16:00) 17:10 BA1332
-2----- (18:20) 19:30 BA1336
1-34567 (18:25) 19:35 BA1336
12345-7 (20:25) 21:35 BA1338
----5-7 (21:05) 22:15 BA1348
--3---- (21:00) 22:10 BA1328

Thanks, Kev

tigertanaka
23rd Sep 2014, 13:35
Good news on BA but why does the 6am flight always disappear during the winter season? 07:45 is too late to connect through LHR when KL do 6am flights from both NCL and MME.

I still live in hope that BA will sign a codeshare agreement with someone to pick up the LGW route. Disappointed at U2 pulling out but without an ability to interline and protect connections, BA destinations such as TPA, MCO etc are not accessible from the North East.

EK77WNCL
23rd Sep 2014, 15:30
50 flights per week is excellent, good to see they haven't completely given up on the regions, but I agree LGW would be good to see return.

pallan
23rd Sep 2014, 15:39
Good to see BA increasing flights yet again, a slight surprise considering LHR's slot restraints and aircraft being out of service getting their new seats fitted that they add at NCL - great news, shows the confidence they have in the airport.

Ah I see EK and NY have returned.....:zzz:. Sorry EK77WNCL, but how do you know there is demand to make a profit? Genuine question as I'm sure not one person on this site knows if NCL-NYC could make a profit....

EK77WNCL
23rd Sep 2014, 16:11
I think that after the success of Dubai, given time to mature, of course there is, New York has a much higher O&D market and is in general in much demand. Emirates, Newcastle Airport and the councils and businesses etc. Say that since EK started, business between the North East and Australia has risen massively, and although Emirates has onward connections to the rest of the world, Someone like UA has extensive connections in the USA. I think that if EK want to make it serious in the EU-US, Asia-US, Australasia-US markets, they will need another QF-like joint venture, and a carrier I can see being willing to do something like that could be AA.

pallan
23rd Sep 2014, 16:37
But you don’t know it could make a profit, nor does anyone.

I also don’t understand how you can compare Dubai to New York.
EK has an enormous global network of connections out of Dubai which brings business as well as leisure pax. A NY flight of course would have some business pax on board however the majority will be on packages of 4-7 day sightseeing holidays to New York, travelling in discounted economy fare buckets – the demand may be there yes, but profit, I’m not so sure.

Also, EK has significantly lower costs than any US airline. There are very little, if any, human rights in the UAE, there is no minimum wage (and an average 48 hour work week), fuel is cheaper and then ancillary costs even as small as catering production are cheaper there. These factors are a large part of the reason EK are so successful – they can price many competitors out of the market. The bottom line is that the majority of people book flights based on price; if that means having to one-stop through LHR, AMS, CDG etc over a nonstop then the vast majority would do so to save a bit of money. I just can't see a US airline making a flight economically viable.

What also needs taking into account is the inbound traffic. Newcastle city is a nice place but it’s hardly a tourist hotspot for Americans – the flight may be full of outgoing visitors but may have little inbound traffic, something which the likes of LHR, MAN, EDI etc bring.

There are also other reasons but I don’t want to thread drift even more…

EK77WNCL
23rd Sep 2014, 18:49
I mentioned all of the cost base points above and I'm aware of them, hence I said EK is probably our best bet (after LS), namely because no other carriers are interested because they think there is no market.

The only point I'm trying to make is Dubai has built it's own market from Newcastle when it came out of the blue with an unsustainable frequency and aircraft too large for the market... So people said. Why couldn't New York do exactly the same after being at the top of the North East's wishlist for... 15 years?

N.b I would like to say that "very little, if any, human rights" is pretty harsh when generalising a whole country, yes jobs for unskilled workers in Dubai do have harsh working and living conditions from our point of view but it's a damn site better than most of their options at home. For businesses like Emirates, that is untrue, I highly doubt so many European, Australian and American people would work for them that being the case. I don't know if you've been before but the Middle East gets a lot of bad cop over here, Qatar seems about 10 years behind Dubai in all respects, including human rights, but seldom is it as bad as made out over here. I have spoken to plenty of "working class" people in Dubai, who will be doing these kind of jobs and they are happy with the jobs they have. Finally with regards to a 48 hour week and no minimum wage, yes it is not ideal, we probably think it's very unfair over here but you still can't get away from the fact that the UAE is a developing country, the UK was hardly fair in the 1800's was it? I think they've probably beaten us on that one and I'm sure they'll even themselves out to "our standards" soon enough. Any airline based in the ME has advantages of lower labour costs, fuel costs (for now), no tax (does that work both ways?) but it's the luck of the draw and times change.

List of minimum wages by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country)

pallan
23rd Sep 2014, 19:34
'Why couldn't New York do exactly the same after being at the top of the North East's wishlist for... 15 years?'

Has it really though? Apart from spotters, I haven't exactly seen a mass flock of people desperate for a NY flight for the last 15 years when they can go through LHR, AMS, CDG etc relatively easy and for quite cheap.

I'd love it to happen don't get me wrong but just can't see it working.

SWBKCB
23rd Sep 2014, 19:57
Its unfair to describe NY as just a spotter fantasy as its regularly mentioned by the airport and other regional "movers and shakers" as being a priority.

What I find a bit unrealistic, though, is the thought that the UK and/or the USA would grant EK fifth freedom rights out of NCL - why on earth would they??

HeathrowDictator
23rd Sep 2014, 20:16
Qatar seems about 10 years behind Dubai in all respects,
Correct

including human rights, but seldom is it as bad as made out over here.
Not true...what is reported in the UK only scratches the surface.

As for NCL getting a NYC route...it was only a matter of time before it was mentioned again here...it will not happen any time soon. Airlines know their markets and cost bases a lot more than the "experts" we see frequenting the forums and if there was profit to be made the route would be there. We need to move past NYC and look at the vast number of routes NCL does have which are doing very well!

Just my 2p...

-HD-

HH6702
23rd Sep 2014, 20:37
I agree it MAY not happen for a while but we all hope it will.

The point made was why when people go via other hubs,
AMS,CDG,LHR then onwards to USA/CANADA.

This is very true but WHY SHOULD WE?

Loads of people fly daily via these hubs to the USA and I'm sure if we did have a link to a USA hub on the east coast it could work.

Airlines don't want to take the risk of making a small profit when they can make slightly more flying half empty planes from heathrow but they have the business class pax there.

Same story as easyjet more money to be made from the south.

Delta could work from NCL even a codeshare with virgin holidays then there is a brand that is well know in the UK too.

Surely there hasn't been a lot of change in the market since AA planned it.
They knew there was a market then just the cost of fuel stopped it. Fuel is now less or more level now then back then so maybe we aren't too far away !!

Skipness One Echo
23rd Sep 2014, 21:09
EK is not a point to point carrier, it's a classic hub and spoke operator with geographical and cost base advantages. There are numerous options west from NCL with BA, KLM etc, there's one way east mopping it up. People get blinded to this as EK operate one heavy to their hub daily whereas the others operate numerous narrow bodies.
If NYC is even an outside possibility, who would operate? See my post above as to who is unlikely to try.

What makes you think Delta can make JFK work from NCL when it failed at EDI and manages MAN only peak summer each year?

Hipennine
24th Sep 2014, 08:18
S1E has it spot on. BA announce increased rotations NCL-LHR (7 per day), with multiple rotations to NYC and other US from LHR and with onward connections throughout N.america. The high rollers (not that there's many in the NE anyway) will go for the frequency via LHR, rather than once per day (or less) direct possibility, whoever any possible carrier may be. Move on.

ATNotts
24th Sep 2014, 10:09
The problem here is that for NCL, and for that matter everywhere else apart from LHR and MAN, the chances of sustaining more than a once daily service to New Yorks are pretty slim.

Regional Chambers of Commerce always bang on about what international and long haul connections they want from their local airports, but their members (the companies that make up the chamber memberships) then go off and use their chosen alliances (Star, One World etc) via London, or Manchester, to get the multi daily frequencies and best prices.

New York isn't a good hub; if you want to hub in the USA then Chicago or Atlanta are streets ahead - but even then, as has been said, the hub and spoke opportunities are so much greater in Dubai than they are in the USA, where you can get to pretty well anywhere, provided it's in North America.

Look at BHX for example, bigger market than NCL, but can't even sustain a daily EWR through the winter months. BRS was dropped by United, and Belfast probably only hangs on due to (ex pat. Irish) political pressure and the bribe regarding APD which the rest of UK doesn't benefit from.

My advice - forget about New York; look east, that is where the world's industrial powerhouses are, and before too long, where the principal centre of commerce will be, whether or not the US and EU like it or not.

Heathrow Harry
24th Sep 2014, 10:12
tend to agree - almost certainly enough people from the NE going to North America to pay for a daily flight but how many go to New York?

probably less than 50% - the rest go t o Toronto, SFO, LAX and Florida

If someone was staging through and could pick up some passengers it might have worked but these days with a A330 or a B777 almost anywhere in Europe can do a direct flight to the E coast of the USA without a stop

LFT
24th Sep 2014, 11:51
the oddball here is EK offering F from GLA

Why's that then?

CabinCrewe
24th Sep 2014, 17:56
its historically not the highest yielding airport. Just ask EZY etc. It is therefore a surprise that GLA achieved EK F. Lets hope its not full of upgraders. Do you know otherwise ?

LFT
24th Sep 2014, 18:21
No, but Emirates obviously do.

EK77WNCL
24th Sep 2014, 21:51
If I remember correctly, the airport was trying to secure a direct (not necessarily non stop) route to China... But...

G-TYNE
24th Sep 2014, 22:04
Looking at Newcastle's student population I'm amazed we don't have a daily a380 to Beijing....

Now seriously this is getting carried away

N707ZS
24th Sep 2014, 22:12
The Chinese that we are getting at the moment don't want to go back to China.

EK77WNCL
24th Sep 2014, 23:35
But they might want to bring family over ;)

CentreFix25
25th Sep 2014, 08:07
Now seriously this is getting carried away

This thread got carried away a long long time ago. Pinocchio, Aladin and Little Red Riding Hood inhabit the place now.

JonnyH
25th Sep 2014, 15:50
Why don't we start a fresh and start discussing facts..

Jamesair
25th Sep 2014, 16:21
Any news on any take up of the Gatwick route? or even STN which used to carry a hefty number of pax in its heyday.

HH6702
25th Sep 2014, 16:30
Here's for the next set of dreams then......

Only chance I would say for STN would be Ryanair now?
Can we expect anything new from Ryanair for next year as they are getting aircraft now.

How about Wizz air for NCL??
They have flights from glasgow and doncaster but ncl sits nicely in the middle.
Didn't they have good loads from DTV to warsaw a few years ago

INeedTheFull90
25th Sep 2014, 16:40
Nope. Four airlines could not make LGW work.

BE no longer have a base so they can't operate it and decided they could make more money elsewhere.

Norwegian could make more money flying to beach destinations. Filling a 737 at any meaningful frequency, whilst still turning a profit will be near impossible. Besides, having a non native name operating domestic routes within the UK never worked - just ask Air Berlin.

Ryanair - see above

Eastern - too small a plane, doesn't fit in with LGWs preference for larger planes.

BMIR - too small a plane, and would entail basing another unit to operate LGW at business friendly times. No connections and no feed, unlike their BRU service.

Jet2 - been there, done that.

BA - been there, done that. Even having served the route many years with a loyal following, and connections too, they decided it not worth operating the service. I can't see them coming back.

BACF (ops by Eastern) from LCY - not enough high yielding city types to make it work like IOM did with this set up.

Anyone else would need to operate as a W pattern. And with that the chance of operating a sensible timetable is slim to none.

NCLLGW is a dead route, you'll all see next year when our only London service is LHR. Most of the above can be applied to STN too. LHR is the only sustainable prospect of London, with a balance of O&D and connecting pax.

Any London route has lots of competition from ground transport options with people more inclined to use them if the price is not right which means your yields will never have that much potential throughout the the week, only on a few peak services.

EK77WNCL
25th Sep 2014, 17:01
Centrefix25 I can assure you it's not just Pinocchio, Little Red Riding Hood and myself... There are plenty of boring farts here who can't appreciate a discussion. And never will methinks.

Boris1
25th Sep 2014, 17:06
Dubai numbers are high due to the large number of foreign students on the inbound flight, particularly from the far east. Every september this occurs, hence a trend of a rise from August to September

fjencl
25th Sep 2014, 17:10
Easyjet will release its summer 2015 flights (http://www.cheapholidays2014.com/#/when-to-book-flights/4577870241) sometime in October 2014. However, it won’t confirm exactly what date the flights will be on sale. Lets wait and see if NCL get any new surprises.

pallan
25th Sep 2014, 17:15
It's not a discussion when it involves repeating the same topics month after month when there are no sources or evidence to back up what you are saying.

The subjects of EK 2nd daily, China flight, LGW, Norwegian, EK A380, QR/TK/EY, VS and New York to name a few come up on pretty much every single page on this thread and the only topic which has even the remotest piece of evidence that it might, I repeat might happen, is EK 2nd daily and even then it was said in 2 articles.

It's like a reading a fantasy novel sometimes

Boris1
25th Sep 2014, 17:18
Pallan, you have summarised that perfectly. Someone give that man a medal! Bravo sir

JosuaNkomo
25th Sep 2014, 17:19
Given the quieter time of year and cheaper flights is it not time to limit the sale of alcohol in airport pubs. We have seen a marked increase in anti social behaviour on flights. Anyone in airport management like to comment or will this interrupt your revenue stream.

SWBKCB
25th Sep 2014, 17:20
Pallan/Boris1 - agreed

On the subject of China, the only reference I can find is in EK PR puff pieces about the markets that can be accessed via DXB.

No mention I can find about a China service from NCL, direct or otherwise, so unless anybody knows better, we can call that one.

Captain_Adams
25th Sep 2014, 17:41
I have said this before but was shot down in flames, however I will reiterate my point.

This USED to be a great place to come for PROPER meaningful discussions, now it is just full of idiots hell bent on spoiling what was a good thing.

Please admins can you stop this constant stream of moronic posts that do nothing but damage the credibility of this site.

The days of sensible people posting sensible, informative items looks as if it has long gone as all we get now is people's ridiculous 'dreams' and constant (and slightly obsessive) posts about Emirates.

What an absolute shame and what an absolute shambles this has all become.

:mad:

EK77WNCL
25th Sep 2014, 18:25
Perhaps tolerance is the answer, yes I know you all love to be right and deliver us your gushing pessimism but maybe just not say anything when some people are actually having a discission, but I suppose you can confide in the fact you know you'll have the moral support of the rest of the "out with the dreamers" club.

Anyway back to facts, there was a British Airways flight today... In fact there was a few and they all went to LONDON!!! Just Heathrow though, because we could never in the world support a service elsewhere in the capital.

GrahamK
25th Sep 2014, 18:37
LHR is a megahub. Hence why BA are succesful. If EZY cant make Gatwick work, nobody will.

pallan
25th Sep 2014, 18:40
This is getting ridiculous, you have the same 'discussion' every month and absolutely nothing has changed...?
You say tolerance is the answer... how much tolerance do people have to have to sit and read the same thing over and over again?

And yes, clearly NCL cannot support a flight to another airport in the capital... if FOUR airlines couldn't make a flight to the second largest airport in the country work then yes, NCL cannot support a service to anywhere else in the capital. BA have just increased to 50 flights a week to an airport which is full yet all some talk about is a possible daily flight to LGW which no airline has been able to work :ugh:

In all seriousness, is there anything the mods can do about this as it is getting beyond a joke - maybe a separate thread for spotters I don't know, but something.

fa2fi
25th Sep 2014, 18:56
Well, they did do something about it a good few years ago - they closed the Newcastle thread. So let's just all take a deep breath and let's move on with relevant, factual discussions. I'm not a mod, nor do I have any desires to be but there is a spotter section which perhaps some posts may be more appropriate there.

I feel very lucky to call the area home and couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be, but I am realistic over what the airport and the area can support. I'm a fan if sustainability and profitability and not fly by night operators or destinations (in matter how exotic they may be) that may come and go.

Boris1
25th Sep 2014, 19:31
posting about flights that aren't going to happen is not a discussion, hence why people DONT wish to continue seeing this tosh. Mods, sort this out please. Can't bare another 'EK will start NCL JFK flights because they are the best airline in the world and they are my favourite airline who have potential to use A340s on 2nd daily flights from newcastle because passenger figures are 60 Billion a month' 'discussion'...

Now, back to a more 'suitable discussion', it is a shame to see the LGW be shelved yet again, unfortunately the way it is scheduled to operate etc just don't make it a viable money maker (note to 'dreamers, if an airline can make money somewhere else as opposed to NCL, they will, all they care about in this current financial climate is profit, and lots of it, thats how they pay for those shiney new planes you wish to keep seeing).

It is good to see BA strengthen the LHR route even further, even with slot restrictions etc a la LHR.

SWBKCB
25th Sep 2014, 19:43
I lose track with BA - is this actually an addition or the normal adjustment between Summer and Winter?

Charlie98
25th Sep 2014, 20:01
Its all because of a certain member talking from his :mad: .

Its time the spotters realised that the future of NCL is the bucket and spade routes as well as further development of key European routes ie LHR,AMS. Regarding LH the best we can hope for realistically is more BY works but that is a very very unlikely situation.

Why don't we look at the things that are happening at NCL and the positives? ie the new routes we are getting. I'm sorry but Thomas Cook and the likes are worth allot more in passenger numbers than EK or any other long haul carrier.

Rain dog
25th Sep 2014, 20:24
'Easyjet will release its summer 2015 flights sometime in October 2014. However, it won’t confirm exactly what date the flights will be on sale. Lets wait and see if NCL get any new surprises.'

Quite. But where I wonder...somewhere competition already exist? Surely not - even with trendy export television? Who knows? :suspect:

VentureGo
25th Sep 2014, 20:34
Boris, Pallan - Calm down!!!! - This is a RUMOUR NETWORK, so please allow all views to be heard. You would have been the firsts, probably, to shoot down mentions of a direct service to Dubai on wide-body jets before it happened - so please live & let live.

Newcastle Airport management strictly adhere to trying to keep a 1/3rd Business, 1/3rd Leisure (Tour Operator) and 1/3rd Low Cost Carrier proportions and by thus maintaining a profitable business model. In comparison Liverpool & Leeds suffer from poorer financial performance by being too reliant on LCCs. Flights will come and volumes will rise to pre recession levels (over 5.6m pax), but this needs to be profitable growth.

p.s. Don't close the thread - It is currently the most visited/responses on the forum - Keep the debate going

fl dutchman
25th Sep 2014, 20:57
SWBKCB

The 7th rotation has been running on two or three days a week for few months now in addition to the normal 6.
It seems this coming winter the 7th rotation continues on some days again in addition to the normal 6, however on some days there is also an 8th rotation.

Its been normal over the past years to have 6 per day summer and winter.(weekdays)

Having said that during the last couple of years on some weeks both summer and winter the frequency has been cut to 5 daily.(or less)

So its good to see these changes although one or two of the times seem strange. On certain days there are 2 flights within 20 mins or so to NCL (early morning departure) However BA knows what its doing I presume.

Good to see the route growing at last.

pallan
25th Sep 2014, 21:01
A rumour network which repeats the same :mad: rumours every single day

CabinCrewe
25th Sep 2014, 21:23
"Don't close the thread - It is currently the most visited/responses on the forum" - and there lies the obvious problem, same posters posting the same stuff almost on a daily basis... and not a realistic "rumour" amongst them.

Fairdealfrank
25th Sep 2014, 21:38
NCLLGW is a dead route, you'll all see next year when our only London service is LHR. Most of the above can be applied to STN too. LHR is the only sustainable prospect of London, with a balance of O&D and connecting pax.

Any London route has lots of competition from ground transport options with people more inclined to use them if the price is not right which means your yields will never have that much potential throughout the the week, only on a few peak services.

LHR is a megahub. Hence why BA are succesful. If EZY cant make Gatwick work, nobody will.

And yes, clearly NCL cannot support a flight to another airport in the capital... if FOUR airlines couldn't make a flight to the second largest airport in the country work then yes, NCL cannot support a service to anywhere else in the capital. BA have just increased to 50 flights a week to an airport which is full yet all some talk about is a possible daily flight to LGW which no airline has been able to work

If only one London route can be sustained it clearly needs to be LHR, because of the availibilty of connecting traffic over and above the point to point traffic.

NCL is one of only 7 UK cities to have this link. Let's spare a thought for the many UK cities and towns that need, but don't have, a Heathrow link.

We shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

EK77WNCL
25th Sep 2014, 22:23
I'm over the moon about BA, but as far as O&D is concerned it's not ideal. But obviously connections prevail and EZY's lack of ability to provide them obviously put the route at a disadvantage.

"every day" is a gross exaggeration as well... I'll stop myself there.

Ph1l1pncl
25th Sep 2014, 23:17
So its good to see these changes although one or two of the times seem strange. On certain days there are 2 flights within 20 mins or so to NCL (early morning departure) However BA knows what its doing I presume.

I haven't had a proper look through the timetable to see if the extra flight within 20 minutes leaves straight away or is on the ground in Newcastle for a while. BA are cutting a fair bit of their schedule in the winter to remain profitable, i imagine it's far cheaper for BA to fly a plane to Newcastle and keep it parked on stand for 6-8 hours or so before flying it back to Heathrow to operate a flight to Europe than paying parking charges at Heathrow for blocking a stand. This summer BA had a plane on the ground for about 6 hours when they added the 7th daily flight on certain days.

LiamNCL
27th Sep 2014, 10:30
Anyone know what happened to yesterdays Skiathos flight ? TCDE positioned out there yesterday and flew back via Kavala but showing as Indefinite delay still and just noticed DG positioning out of STN as 615P

nclops
27th Sep 2014, 10:38
Diverted to KVA due to weather in JSI. Aircraft then positioned back to NCL as weather in JSI not expected to improve. Passengers should arrive back later today on GTCDG. There were no passengers outbound NCL-JSI as it was the flights last op for the summer.

LiamNCL
27th Sep 2014, 11:30
Thanks wasnt sure what happened

Boris1
30th Sep 2014, 15:32
AN-12 inbound

fa2fi
30th Sep 2014, 16:22
Just saw Ruby Star on climb out over my house headed back east. Nice sight, makes a change from the usual Jetstream which is the only aircraft that flies over my house. We're there two of then visiting?

Ph1l1pncl
30th Sep 2014, 23:54
I've just read that SAS are cancelling their contract with Cimber/AS from the April 1st. I wonder what that will mean for the NCL-CPH route? It appears the Leeds and Aberdeen flights have been upgraded to A319. Currently on the booking engine it still is book able and showing as a CR200 but SAS have the larger variant, so unless they take on the 8 CR200 that Cimber operate for them I wonder if the route may go. Does anyone know how the loads have been holding up on this incarnation of the route?

GrahamK
2nd Oct 2014, 06:34
I seen that and unfortunately it means Cimber Air will shut down. Will be interesting to see if SK keep NCL-CPH on the larger CR9

NCL-TRC
2nd Oct 2014, 09:51
Based on the loads I'd imagine the only viable alternative is the CR9, however I do beleive Jettime operate AT72s on behalf of SK, whether there's any spare capacity with them is a different question.

HH6702
2nd Oct 2014, 20:14
I was going to say the same for them to use the CRJ900...

if not could BM base a second ERJ and operate 2 x daily to CPH?
maybe add a middle rotation to somewhere in Germany?

saladdodger
3rd Oct 2014, 20:11
It's probably already been mentioned on here but I see flybe are starting up a daily flight to ext again, could this be the start of their return to ncl? Their turbo props might not be everyone's cup of tea but surely there's plenty of market for them to exploit from the region, maybe even a bit of competition fo eastern and midland?

HH6702
7th Oct 2014, 22:43
I see that Livingston have now stopped flying and all aircraft returned to lessors

I wonder who will now operate the Saturdays Verona flights for summer 2015

fjencl
8th Oct 2014, 08:33
easyJet flights have now been released and are available to book for travel up to 6 September 2015.

apaul
8th Oct 2014, 09:41
Looks like easyJet is stopping the Amsterdam route at the end of May and not flying to Menorca this summer. Timetable to Bristol is an improvement on this winter, though still no use for business travel on Tuesday and Wednesday. Jersey is three times per week.

fjencl
8th Oct 2014, 10:27
Tenerife south doesn't go past march 2015 either, but I am not sure if that's normal or not.

With the loss of Mahon, Amsterdam, Gatwick, does that mean they will be reducing the number of planes at Newcastle.

Not sure how many based aircraft they currently operate out of Newcastle, so just wondered.

HH6702
8th Oct 2014, 10:48
So the rumours of a 4th based aircraft won't be happening then

Still a little early but maybe they will be announced later

3based aircraft at the minute

HH6702
8th Oct 2014, 22:38
Looks like the early morning Bristol flights is a Bristol based aircraft.

Let's try and put a timetable together for a week in August and let's see what it looks like

HH6702
9th Oct 2014, 10:51
hi guys i wouldnt worry yet as ive worked out what is on sale and there is loads of gaps mid week

AIRCRAFT 1
1.345.. 06:00 12:20 PALMA
.2….. 06:00 13:10 FARO
.2….. 13:40 16:55 JERSEY
.2…… 17:35 23:55 PALMA
1.3…. 13:00 19:30 ALICANTE
…4… 13:50 19:35 BARCELONA
….5.. 13:05 19:35 ALICANTE
1.345.. 20:00 22:35 BRISTOL

AIRCRAFT 2
12345.. 07:10 14:10 MALAGA
.2….. 14:50 17:00 BELFAST
.2….. 17:25 22:45 NICE
..3…. 14:55 17:05 BELFAST
…4… 15:55 18:05 BELFAST
…4… 18:35 01:05 ALICANTE
..3.5.. 20:05 22:15 BELFAST

AIRCRAFT 3
12345.. 07:00 09:10 BELFAST
1.3.5.. 09:40 15:25 BARCELONA
…4… 09:40 15:00 NICE
.2….. 16:40 00:35 MALTA
1.3…. 16:10 23:00 FARO
….5.. 16:20 18:30 BELFAST
….5.. 19:00 22:15 JERSEY

BRS morning flights operated by BRS base and also TUE and THUR Evenings

pallan
9th Oct 2014, 14:04
https://twitter.com/yourHeathrow/status/520212624236363776

50% of LHR pax are connections... I thought it would have been a bit more, maybe 60-65%?

Fairdealfrank
9th Oct 2014, 19:34
50% of LHR pax are connections... I thought it would have been a bit more, maybe 60-65%?

Sounds about right, a healthy mix of point-to-point and connecting pax. It's why NCL-LON flights go to LHR.

Jamesair
9th Oct 2014, 22:14
Last summer EZY were doing 83 round trips weekly next summer it will be 62 which is quite a reduction.

I have a feeling that there might be a couple of new route announcements to come to fill the spare capacity.

The only increases are Belfast from 14 to 15 weekly and Jersey from 2 to 3 weekly.

FRatSTN
9th Oct 2014, 23:07
Jamesair

This is the current generation of EasyJet for you! If it's not LGW then EZY don't seem interested.

It's only LGW that has seen any real growth from EZY. Over the last 3 or 4 years, this has been the general picture:

- BFS and BRS are big but not really expanding at any fast rate, if at all
- Growth at EDI has been off-set by reductions in GLA
- Growth at MAN has been off-set by reductions in LPL
- New SEN base was more than off-set by reductions at STN...
- ...Now growth at LTN for S15 is offset by reductions in SEN and yet further cuts at STN
- And NCL has been no different, also seeing cuts across the network

It's such a shame but sadly the truth.

SWBKCB
10th Oct 2014, 05:42
Does the EZY schedule above include poss Triangle flights which have been op by BRS, BFS and NCL based a/c as in previous years (i.e. BRS-NCL-"X"-BRS and NCL-BRS- "Y" -NCL)

GrahamK
14th Oct 2014, 18:08
September Provisional stats:

Gatwick 10023 +32%
Heathrow 43974 +4%
Aberdeen 2530 -5%
Belfast City 2457 -35% (BFS no figures)
Bristol 13525 -5% (first decrease on BRS for a while IIRC)
Southampton 9202 +13%

Brussels 2598
Copenhagen 2011 +2%
Paris CDG 11830 -4%
Dusseldorf 3234 +9%
Cork 1486 -20%
Dublin 15222 +37%
Amsterdam 33090 +3%
Stavanger 1925 -8%
Dubai 19675 +3%

MerchantVenturer
14th Oct 2014, 19:49
Bristol 13525 -5% (first decrease on BRS for a while IIRC)

I would expect this to continue with fewer flights on the route this winter, and next summer at the moment. In addition, the timings this winter make day trips impossible except for Mondays and even here it would be a constricted day.

Thursday, Friday and Sunday do have two rotations per day but they are afternoon/evening flights. Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday are just single rotations.

It wasn't so many years ago that there were four rotations on weekdays. There is an hourly direct rail service but it might be thought that the five hour journey time would make air the better option.

Jamesair
14th Oct 2014, 22:02
How embarrassing to read the EZY announcement today of big expansion at Amsterdam next year with 3 additional 320's, 6 new routes and frequency increases. Of course no mention of NCL Cancelled.

SWBKCB
15th Oct 2014, 06:51
genuine question - how/why, in the context of this thread, is it embarrassing?

Jamesair
15th Oct 2014, 09:07
Maybe a bad choice of word to describe my feelings, as a supporter of the airport whilst reading of huge expansion elsewhere from AMS while NCL loses the route. Although I'm sure that KLM will take up any slack.

pallan
15th Oct 2014, 09:15
A mixed bag of stats for September... still, overall up 2.7% compared to Sept 13 so that's good.

Shame about EZY if they are indeed cutting back but I guess if they can make more money elsewhere then they will, after all they are a business with shareholders to please.

fa2fi
15th Oct 2014, 10:48
I'm hoping for new routes too. Although summer 15 is on sale there could still be routes released. I know RAK and KEF were added from BRS at pretty short notice last winter, so there's time to add something. But they will need to get a move on. I wonder where they could go though? There are gaps mid week as advised before, one is short ish though so wold be a near mainland route I should expect. A return to CPH or BER? Who knows!

fl dutchman
15th Oct 2014, 20:52
They must not believe there is always a need for a day return to BRS hence some days only an evening flight. Despite an aircraft being sat on the ground in the morning that could do a BRS return.

Think that has been happening for a few weeks now.

I think the same issue applies to BFS some days.

On the days where there is 2 afternoon flights to BRS I think there is also an aircraft sitting on the ground in the morning. Would it not be better to have a morning and an afternoon/evening flight.

The schedule is certainly not very passenger friendly.

EK77WNCL
16th Oct 2014, 22:11
I've said it before and I'll say it again Easyjet is becoming rather disappointing (again). I agree with FRatSTN, EZY are too Gatwick-centric, yes it makes them (more) money but when they don't offer connecting flights, how do other markets benefit? I suppose nowadays it's probably an unreasonable assumption to hope that airlines might actually serve a route for the benefit of a market.

I would like to mention again that I'm amazed at Jet2 and Thomson's coexistence on the FNC route, in September TOM reported 91% load factors and Jet2 85% which I think is quite impressive. Those LF's will be profitable for them, I assume 75-80+ would be break even for LS and about 90% for TOM.I just cant understand the logic of jet2 going from Friday 733 to Monday 738 for next summer, although I notice LS has changed the schedule to an afternoon departure from the originally planned morning departure. It's not very likely that TOM and LS will clash any more than this year, I doubt the Friday departure made that much difference, but the logic still doesn't make sense to me.... As long as it makes money and does as well as this year I suppose, could be gearing up for 2 weekly for 2016?

INeedTheFull90
17th Oct 2014, 22:11
What does anyone expect from Gatwick Aiways? I'd not be surprised to see the base shrink to 2 planes. The bonus culture is rife and short term profit is all that matters and to hell with the consequences. Sad times.

EK77WNCL
17th Oct 2014, 22:30
I wouldn't be surprised to see EZY go altogether... And then the airport scramble to find a new operator to cover the 500,000 pax deficit on domestic routes alone.

Edit: If they scrapped the base... I'd hope they'd at least keep BFS and BRS.

SWBKCB
18th Oct 2014, 06:02
Enjoy speculating about people losing their jobs do you? :=

GrahamK
18th Oct 2014, 06:33
Any word on a New York route? :ugh::E

Just joking, but it just goes to show the problems in the NE that NCL can't even support a twice daily lo-co to the capital of England, or a 2 x weekly lo-co service to the party capital of Europe!

Bring on more Palma, Tenerife and Dalaman :8

SWBKCB
18th Oct 2014, 06:53
but it just goes to show the problems in the NE

Exactly - a quick look at the economic indicators for the North East or the business pages of the local press(or a look at any local high street) will show you exactly what is going on.

NCL has a good range of services to major business centres (LHR, AMS, BRU, CDG, CPH, DUS), plenty of bucket and spade flights for the majority of main holidays and a stonking service to DXB (which many other cities - e.g. EDI, BRS - would kill for).

Anything else awaits some serious economic improvement.

HH6702
18th Oct 2014, 07:41
Other lo-co operators have both tried Amsterdam and gatwick before and both have failed to make more money than than a route to Spain etc.
The main problem is the lo-co operators are looking for point to point travel only and the likes of KLM BA make money on the pax connecting onto there long haul.

Easyjet will still base 3 aircraft
The route network however from NCL will continue to change as where they can make the most money.

So if they are reducing the domestic routes in turn we will see more mid haul routes to Spain, Greece Turkey etc

pallan
18th Oct 2014, 09:11
EZY don't really do connecting flights (or at least separate flights on the same booking) so i'm not sure how NCL cuts would affect their other markets?

The demand (and importantly, at the right price) is there at LGW, not at NCL. It's basic economics - you put your supply where the demand is and where you can charge the highest price to reap the highest rewards. Unfortunately that's just not NCL as demonstrated by the loss of LGW.

As others have mentioned, the NE economy is hardly strong and has been the slowest area in the UK to recover from the recession which plays a huge role in why we aren't seeing 'x' new services to 'y'. Airlines today don't have the leverage on their bottom line to test markets or take a gamble as if they did, they would probably end up making a loss.

And as SWBKCB mentioned - NCL has a good range of services at the moment, more than a lot of regional airports do - it doesn't do bad considering the economic position of the catchment area.

jensdad
18th Oct 2014, 09:42
[QUOTE]or a 2 x weekly lo-co service to the party capital of Europe!/[QUOTE]

I thought that was us? :) Well, that's what the Chronicle keep saying at every opportunity so it must be true.

Skipness One Echo
18th Oct 2014, 11:42
It's only LGW that has seen any real growth from EZY. Over the last 3 or 4 years, this has been the general picture:
In the UK, but remember EZY are pan European and the UK is a mature market.

FRatSTN
18th Oct 2014, 12:42
Well FR seems to think differently:

Ryanair sees plenty more growth within Europe | Reuters (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/17/uk-ryanair-growth-idUKKCN0I61LK20141017)

"Instead, Ryanair intends to focus on "old reliables" like the United Kingdom, Poland, Italy (http://uk.reuters.com/places/italy) and Germany, specifically on short, high-frequency routes, many of them domestic."

Maybe they could eventually have something a bit more substantial at NCL?

EK77WNCL
18th Oct 2014, 15:40
For all I've always been against FR, I think for somewhere like NCL (mostly low yield when it comes to leisure), that, as FR says, high frequency and low cost may work on some routes. EZY doesn't always have the extremely low fares and LS doesn't always offer the frequency.

Think of somewhere like Krakow for example, x4-5 weekly at £30 return will probably work better then x2 weekly at £70+

... Providing the market is allowed to mature...

LiamNCL
22nd Oct 2014, 21:27
Monarch 757 G-MONJ on finals from Krakow anyone know what this flight was for ?

EK77WNCL
22nd Oct 2014, 23:21
Aaaaahhhhh I think I vaguely remember something similar last year, I want to say Auschwitz

EK77WNCL
24th Oct 2014, 20:01
For 2015 it appears that TCX are dropping Gran Canaria and reducing TFS by 1 weekly service. I'm also surprised to learn that they do not serve Paphos and Alicante, I could have sworn they did.

Jamesair
25th Oct 2014, 16:15
JET 2......Alicante now up from 10 to 11 weekly for summer 15

LiamNCL
25th Oct 2014, 17:07
Do TCX even serve Alicante from any UK airport anymore ? Paphos was operated by a A320 last year and never made it this year suprised LPA is being dropped though

Boris1
25th Oct 2014, 17:32
TCX did serve Alicante from NCL at some point, if i'm not mistaken. Think it was dropped quite recently.

JonnyH
25th Oct 2014, 19:39
LPA was 757 in 2013 and then downgraded to an A320 this summer. Not sure how the loads were this summer. I'm still surprised though.

EK77WNCL
26th Oct 2014, 02:04
I mean it's not an immediate catastrophe because we still have LS and TOM operating (although with smaller aircraft to 2/3 years ago) and TCX's stronger area tends to be Turkey and Greece, and probably on par with TOM with Egypt and Tunisia. Fuerteventura seemed to belong to TCX too until LS came along.

Faro and Malta also appear on the list for TCX too, I think they were dropped the last year or two as well. Are these left over from their burst of expansion in 2012?

I also did some numbers to work out if A/C decreases from TOM/TCX and LS were really making a difference... By God they are, would anyone like me to share, I can make them a bit more readable if you wish?

CabinCrewe
26th Oct 2014, 11:16
ive a feeling I know someone on here who maybe interested in those figures....

North West
27th Oct 2014, 11:16
Looks like all of the New York talk was justified. Good news for the North.

A few armchair experts facing a long night ahead deleting their posting history. Skyman in particular will be busy:ugh:

Travel Agent
27th Oct 2014, 11:16
United Airlines to start New York next summer!

EDIT- looks like we all got the same email!

5 Times a week -

NCL-EWR 0910 / 1200
EWR - NCL 1920/0730*

Ops 23 May - 07 Sep

NCL-TRC
27th Oct 2014, 11:17
United starting seasonal EWR Flights 5 weekly on 757 from next May.

ash666
27th Oct 2014, 11:20
It’s the route you have asked for more than any other and we have delivered it. You’ll soon be able to fly direct from Your Airport to none other than New York!

We’re delighted to be able to reveal to you that today United Airlines have announced a seasonal service, for next summer, from Newcastle direct to New York’s Newark Liberty International Airport. Flights will leave Newcastle five times a week between Saturday 23 May and Monday 7 September 2015 and be flown using a Boeing 757 aircraft.

Boris1
27th Oct 2014, 11:24
I wish them all the best in making it work, and i hope it does. Although, we have been here before... (albeit a little different)

please dont turn this into a 'Well i said they would.... I told you so.... i know all....' debate. Appreciate this new route.

ash666
27th Oct 2014, 11:25
Fly direct to New York with United Airlines - Newcastle Airport (http://www.newcastleairport.com/newyork)

We await Skyman's comments lol

Flying.Penguin
27th Oct 2014, 11:29
Interesting development. One wonders what UA are cutting to gain the capacity for this new EWR-NCL venture?

fa2fi
27th Oct 2014, 11:43
Well I for one didn't think it would happen. I'm pleased it has. I'm sure the spotters will love it too.

Maybe as more of their 787s come online they will cover either the thin routes, or those which the 757 is used on to provide greater frequency. It could be that there are 757s coming free and that could be what is is being used.

Although I am not a fan of United, I can see why NCL would work for them as feed into their network isn't great at NCL with Star alliance partners, meaning UA are usually the most expensive by far from the NE now that there is no BMI to feed into them at LHR. American and Delta are already served through LHR or AMS/CDG respectively, so UA would make sense. Given that it is non stop, so long as the fares are competitive then I'll be trying this out for sure.

toon22
27th Oct 2014, 12:06
Well done to Dave, Chris and all the team.
Result!!

HH6702
27th Oct 2014, 12:12
WOW...... Just wow we didn't see this coming did we !!!!!!

Let's hope this takes off this time and gets the loads we need

It maybe just summer only but let's hope it extends longer in years to come

I'm certainly ONE HAPPY PERSON NOW!!!

CentreFix25
27th Oct 2014, 12:15
Didn't see this coming in a million years, hats off to those who made it happen. 5 x 757s a week to fill is a big ask in my opinion, but the people on the know must be confident enough.

10 DME ARC
27th Oct 2014, 12:22
Great news, well done Newcastle Airport. Lets hope the up take is good and UAL edge out the dates over the years until its year round. I will be looking at some dates for me and Mrs 10D next June then.

pallan
27th Oct 2014, 12:50
Excellent news for NCL, certainly did not see that coming. Hopefully it'll be priced right for the market and will be a success.

I can see the thread descending into a 'I told you so' discussion but let's be honest, I think everyone is surprised by this. Even those who dreamed of it didn't think deep down it would actually happen so let's just appreciate that it has and wish it well

Atleast now the discussion will move away from continuous EK for the first time in a while!

Centre cities
27th Oct 2014, 12:54
An nice addition to the route network. Now the hard work begins, if you are unsure ask Bristol. Yield is the key not bums on seats.

Centre cities

LiamNCL
27th Oct 2014, 12:59
Wow excellent news and totally out of the blue ! Lets hope this really takes off , all grateful to United airlines for making this possible :ok:

bos2gla
27th Oct 2014, 13:01
Excellent news for Newcastle :ok:

Will save many LHR or EDI slogs.....hopefully it gets supported by the local business community

ericlday
27th Oct 2014, 13:01
Well done to all concerned with this new route, as Centre cities says Yield is important so let the next step begin.

j636
27th Oct 2014, 13:34
Interesting development. One wonders what UA are cutting to gain the capacity for this new EWR-NCL venture?

EWR-STR was cancelled a few weeks ago.

Flying.Penguin
27th Oct 2014, 14:07
Excellent news for Newcastle Airport.

With regards to United Airlines they sure do have the UK extensively covered and they seem able to make long haul work from the smaller UK airports were no other airline seems able to do so.

ericlday
27th Oct 2014, 14:52
With the exception of Bristol.

Heathrow Harry
27th Oct 2014, 15:13
"5 x 757s a week to fill is a big ask in my opinion"

Hmmm - they do pretty well filling a 777 daily to a ghastly hot hell hole in the Middle East -

New York has .... more attractions............

INeedTheFull90
27th Oct 2014, 15:40
Bristol was dropped favorite increased frequency at LHR which is under two hours drive away from a lot of BRS's catchment area.

EK77WNCL
27th Oct 2014, 15:55
Brilliant news, I'll be on at my parents all year now to get us on it. "Use it or lose it". Even "only" x5 weekly seasonal is an amazing development in my opinion. Lets just hope it doesn't hurt Jet2 too much though! ;)

Finally, no I told you so, but... Just because people might not be as old as you/as "in the know" as you/more optimistic than you. Don't doubt them.

Travel Agent
27th Oct 2014, 16:06
It should not make any difference to Jet2 as they fly to NYC for a few "one offs" in the winter

Skipness One Echo
27th Oct 2014, 16:28
I am going to bet there's been a *remarkably* good deal with the airport for United to put their toe in the water here. Well done for getting that far!, it should make the point NCL can do it and ideally tempt them back on market rates for 2016?

Regional / seasonal long haul does seem to be making a comeback, one sees Air Canada Rouge in places mainline used to frequent in winter. Shannon and Dublin do remarkably well with seaonal US flights on the B757, on fully depreciated aircraft working very hard in summer.

I wonder what the medium term strategy for all these B757 routes is going to be? The B763 / B788 may be too large for some markets so are we looking at B737-MAX or A321 NEO?

Boris1
27th Oct 2014, 16:32
The route will be summer seasonal on a trial basis. Any return on a summer/year round frequency relies on how it performs next year.

Good system.

10 DME ARC
27th Oct 2014, 18:18
HH - "Hmmm - "Hmmm - they do pretty well filling a 777 daily to a ghastly hot hell hole in the Middle East"

Well 80-90% of pax's pass through this 'hell hole' and I am sure a good few will transfer with UAL onwards through EWR. Having spent six years in this hell hole I fail to see the hell.......??? I guess I just spent a hellish night out eating and drinking with my wife......its hard but I guess someone has to do it!!! Get real people!:ugh:

MerchantVenturer
27th Oct 2014, 19:06
Bristol was dropped favorite increased frequency at LHR which is under two hours drive away from a lot of BRS's catchment area.

Yes, somewhat different circumstances to NCL in that BRS-EWR started in 2005 when CO had no access to LHR. In subsequent years CO gained access with 5 x daily including the one they eventually moved from BRS after five and a half years of year-round operation. No surprise at this as LHR is actually under 90 minutes drive from some parts of Greater Bristol.

Although BRS overall numbers were said to be satisfactory, at least until the recession bit in 2009, the airline said that one of the reasons for the withdrawal was the disappointing occupancy of the business/first at non-discounted prices which is back to the yield and is something which the NCL management and airline will doubtless be confronting.

Excellent news for the North East.

VentureGo
27th Oct 2014, 19:24
How important will/might freight be to the success + Yield factor. Industry in the region (when asked to comment) have always quoted the importance of an eastern link to the states for high value cargo direct from Newcastle. Freight I believe is very important for Emirates and often makes up, plus more, for low passenger numbers on some flights.
Surely if true, this alone should make our local companies ensure the succees of this route.

CentreFix25
27th Oct 2014, 20:14
"5 x 757s a week to fill is a big ask in my opinion"

Hmmm - they do pretty well filling a 777 daily to a ghastly hot hell hole in the Middle East -

Walk in the park then.

VickersVicount
27th Oct 2014, 20:22
Great news for NCL, the naysayers will be eating their hats ! Lets see how it does first I suppose. Pretty surprised myself to be honest. Where do current NCL -NYC bound pax go EDI ? AMS ? LHR ?

pallan
27th Oct 2014, 20:34
I'd probably think the majority go via LHR with BA/AA, in particular the 5/6/7 night holiday market where BA offer some very attractively priced packages.

If UA price it right then they could be onto a huge winner with the leisure market however of course they still need to make a profit and fill the premium cabins, something which BA doesn't really have a problem with filling meaning they can offer super cheap Y fares/packages to NY.

Time will tell, I guess we won't know how successful the route is until it is found out if it will be renewed/expanded for 2016 as even if flights go out full, they may not necessarily be high yield fares.

I do hope it is a success and it has been a long time coming - never saw it happening myself but good on NCL and UA for making it work and long may it last.

On another note regarding freight, will the 757 be able to lift much out of NCL and how big is the cargo space? I can't imagine it being enormous? Just curious

skyman771
27th Oct 2014, 20:44
Well guy's I'm certainly not hiding, indeed I'm delighted to hear the news, I'm also truly surprised, though certainly not eating humble pie, & this is perhaps not the time for negativity. Indeed many of the obvious concerns have already been expressed by other posters today.
Best thing is simply to wait & see, after 40 or so years then this venture will need to progress considerably to remove any of my lingering cynicism.
So good luck to UA, success will need to come not from NY tourists but from the amount of onwards & business traffic that the route is able to generate.
As said then at least all those ex CO frames will provide a 757 swansong at NCL for the reggies/spotters;)
Word of caution, habits don't change overnight :-
VickersVicount :- Where do current NCL -NYC bound pax go EDI ? AMS ? LHR ?
I use CDG & the AF offering to NYC is pretty good 330's to EWR & 380's / 777's to NYC tried them all on numerous occasions, it will be interesting to see how "the competition" reacts...

Fairdealfrank
27th Oct 2014, 21:37
Fantastic news!

Finally the two New Yorks linked up: New York Newcastle and New York New York (or should that be New York New Jersey as it's EWR? (pedants corner)).

New York, Tyne and Wear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Tyne_and_Wear)

This appears to be building on the former CO's tradition of linking non-London UK airports to EWR over the years: BFS, BHX, BRS, EDI, GLA, MAN.

We want it year round and daily, so come on you Geordies, use the service and use it often!

GrahamK
27th Oct 2014, 22:30
Not just Geordies, but Cumbria, SW Scotland and the Borders too.

VickersVicount
27th Oct 2014, 22:33
maybe they'll all be lapping up Carlisle-Dublin.... the preclearance and cheap flights are a big draw...

LiamNCL
27th Oct 2014, 22:43
HFlight numbers will be

EWR - NCL - UA159
NCL - EWR - UA160

Really hoping this can finally be alloud to become a success

Charlie98
27th Oct 2014, 22:51
Other way around,

NCL-EWR UA159
EWR-NCL UA160

EK77WNCL
28th Oct 2014, 00:27
Well for random dates in August, NCL-EWR is cheaper than EDI, GLA and MAN and also £400 cheaper than BA.

mikkie4
28th Oct 2014, 01:38
How come newcastle and other small airports have flights to the usa, but stansted havent?

EK77WNCL
28th Oct 2014, 02:40
- Tried loads, never worked?
- Pecking order is unfortunately, #1 Heathrow, everything else Gatwick, leftovers, overcapacity and the ones that can't afford the other two... Hello Stansted and Luton!!?
- Much less competition at NCL because there aren't hourly (or more) flights per day less than 90 minutes away.

Also nothing personal but I'm not fond of the, "they have this why don't we" logic of some places... Mainly in the south, but that might be regional bias.

ATNotts
28th Oct 2014, 08:05
I'm sure that United will have done their sums, but my concern is that at a 5 x weekly frequency, whilst I feel sure there will be no problem filling the "cheep seats" with UK originating tourists, at the front end, where the money is made, it might be difficult to fill the business seats at such a frequency.

This, as much as anything else, is what has held BHX back - and I guess, killed off Bristol-EWR.

Someone mentioned cargo earlier - the answer to that is with the relatively small capacity on the 757 it won't make a massive impact on revenues, and anyway, probably UA have different profit centres for carho and passenger.

EK, of course, is a different matter with the very significant cargo capacity available on the 777.

Heathrow Harry
28th Oct 2014, 13:31
"I guess I just spent a hellish night out eating and drinking with my wife......its hard but I guess someone has to do it!!! Get real people!"

I've been there a lot and have family & friends living/working in Dubai - but what is there?

A load of shopping malls, vast office blocks, luxury hotels and miles of developments and roads

The beach is dreadful, there is NO scenery near the city, no local culture, not much imported culture. It's full of russians & brits

Awful!

I'd much rather be in Oman or even Al Ain TBH

Boris1
28th Oct 2014, 13:42
Everyone is different aren't they not? Some may like Dubai. Some may not. Just because someone isn't a fan doesn't mean everyone should follow suit. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things

10 DME ARC
28th Oct 2014, 15:11
Off subject I know.....
HH - I have lived in DXB for six years now. Whilst I know people like different things but you can find culture and fantastic natural scenery very close by, mountains and desert. Dubai has a fantastic skyline that at sunset still gives me goose bumps after six years!
I have traveled all over the region but still like arriving back in DXB, so I could never say the place is hellish!

EK77WNCL
28th Oct 2014, 16:30
And Dubai is still quite cultural I've found, both local and imported, what they have done is amazing and there pretty much is something for everyone

N707ZS
28th Oct 2014, 16:53
One report says the USA flight is seasonal so do we presume it finishes in September 2015? Not an all year round schedule flight.

maxtoon
28th Oct 2014, 17:13
UA - Yes, it's initially only a 2015 seasonal trial to see what pax take up is like before any talk of committing to a year round service. Pays to be cautious ...

VickersVicount
28th Oct 2014, 17:22
...or very cautious in the previous AA attempt ! It doesnt always pay.

SWBKCB
28th Oct 2014, 17:36
United -
One report says the USA flight is seasonal so do we presume it finishes in September 2015? Not an all year round schedule flight.

On the contrary, I've seen nothing to say it is anything but a seasonal service running from 23/05/2015 until 07/09/2015 only - where's the idea of a year round service come from?

Flybe - Overlooked in all the excitement is this comment in the Journal

Flybe’s chief commercial officer Paul Simmons said: “We’ve been treated very well by the region and the airport. When you undertake a major cost cutting exercise as we did, sometimes things can get caught up in that - and the Newcastle to Exeter route was probably an example of that. The team at Newcastle Airport have been extremely helpful and while nothing is yet confirmed, we are currently looking at the potential for other routes in the future.”

LiamNCL
28th Oct 2014, 20:07
It is here next year only at the moment , i doubt United have came for a year only unless the route is a total flop

Edit : Thought i would throw it out there for the non local radio listeners , BA's new advert on Metro Radio this morning made me smile , when they were touting business for you guessed it , New york ! They left out the via LHR bit until last min though , Not like we have a direct link there soon or anything BA lol

pallan
28th Oct 2014, 20:29
I've also noticed a fairly recent stream of TV ads from KLM advertising MME/NCL...

LiamNCL
28th Oct 2014, 20:38
It was certainly a new ad from BA , i have Metro on every morning and its the first time i have heard it

Jamesair
28th Oct 2014, 22:58
I think that Flybe comment sounds very encouraging for the future

Travel Agent
28th Oct 2014, 23:12
I think that Flybe comment sounds very encouraging for the future

Lets hope so! But not wanting to sound cynical but they have said the same for years!

Fairdealfrank
28th Oct 2014, 23:25
How come newcastle and other small airports have flights to the usa, but stansted havent?

Heathrow is down the road. It's as simple as that.

Edit : Thought i would throw it out there for the non local radio listeners , BA's new advert on Metro Radio this morning made me smile , when they were touting business for you guessed it , New york ! They left out the via LHR bit until last min though , Not like we have a direct link there soon or anything BA lol

Most carriers operate on a hub/spoke system these days, feeding their hubs and having connecting pax change there.

UA does this from NCL, so does BA. So it is hardly a surprising that BA would not do NCL-EWR direct, and no one on this forum should expect it to.

EK77WNCL
29th Oct 2014, 00:29
Hoping to see some United adverts springing up soon, although I'm surprised at the amount of people who know! Family friend who is over this week lives in New York but has a child in Gateshead so he comes over 5+ times a year, going to see him later this week so if he doesn't already know he'll be chuffed! He's tried pretty much every transatlantic offering you could think of but also has a lot of loyalty points on BA but he said he'd throw it all in for a direct flight.

CabinCrewe
29th Oct 2014, 09:49
BA status pax 'throwing it all' for a direct flight.. now theres a first.

EK77WNCL
29th Oct 2014, 15:31
I assumed it was well known that Americans prefer convenience?

By "throw it all in" I'm sure he means, "get a few good first/business class flights, use up all my points and gradually switch to UA." Anyway UA being seasonal probably works for him, use UA in the summer + build up some points and then switch back to BA during the winter.

SWBKCB
29th Oct 2014, 16:49
Been out of the office for a couple of days, but got back to find the NY announcement has created plenty of interest. General view seems to be that prices are comparable with BA in May/June so the direct flight is a "no brainer" - September seems a lot more expensive for some reason? B757 as opposed to a widebody isn't seen as a disadvantage.

Of course, this is for seats down the back and not up front, but I was surprised at the impact.

-

EK77WNCL
29th Oct 2014, 17:30
I don't think the 757 is a disadvantage at all, same legroom as a BA 747, seats are only 0.2" narrower which is everything but noticeable, you still get AVOD, meals and of course the reduced hassle of a direct flight and extremely customer friendly, pleasant to use airport on the UK end.

gopaisleygo
29th Oct 2014, 17:40
UA Business First knocks socks of BA Club. Well done NCL, hope its a success

ash666
31st Oct 2014, 12:44
United Boosts Transatlantic Offering with First Link to Newcastle :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/245113/united-boosts-transatlantic-offering-with-first-link-to-newcastle/?utm_source=the-hub&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=the-hub-EU)

The confirmation of the new route follows years of discussions between the management of Newcastle International Airport and various US partners to establish a scheduled westbound long-haul link to the US to support its highly successful Emirates Airline flight to Dubai.
US major United Airlines is to introduce the first regular scheduled air service between the New York area and Newcastle in north east England. The carrier will launch a five times weekly seasonal service from its hub at Newark Liberty International Airport between May 23, 2015 and September 7, 2015, subject to government approval.

The confirmation of the new route follows years of discussions between the management of Newcastle International Airport and various US partners to establish a scheduled westbound long-haul link to the US to support its highly successful Emirates Airline flight to Dubai. Previously the airport had got close to a deal with Continental Airlines, while American Airlines actually announced the launch of a flight but cancelled the service prior to its start date. Leisure carrier Jet2.com has served the Newcastle - New York route the past couple of years but with only a limited schedule of flights focussed mainly on Christmas shopping.

“For many years, and everywhere I go, people have been stopping me and asking, when is the North East going to get a New York service?” said David Laws, chief executive, Newcastle Airport and chairman of the North East Chamber of Commerce. During regular meetings with The HUB over the past couple of years, Laws, and his aviation development director, Chris Sanders, have retained a firm commitment this is a route that they were determined to deliver for the region.

“We have been carefully and quietly working behind the scenes, with our shareholders, to secure what will be another game-changing new route. I am delighted today that we are finally able to make the announcement everyone has been hoping for,” said Laws at a quickly arranged press conference at Newcastle Airport earlier today.

According to Laws, United Airlines is the “best airline” to operate this service with an exceptional track record of linking UK regions to their New York/Newark hub, where customers can then connect to over one hundred onward destinations. The carrier currently operates flights to Belfast International, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow London Heathrow and Manchester: it previously also served Bristol and London Gatwick.
The new route will be flown using an a 169-seat Boeing 757-200 configured with 16 flat-bed seats in United BusinessFirst and 153 seats in United Economy, including 45 Economy Plus seats with added legroom and increased personal space.

“We’re very excited about introducing non-stop flights to New York from Newcastle next summer,” said Bob Schumacher, managing director sales – UK & Ireland, United Airlines. “We’ll be offering the people of Northeast England easy, convenient travel options not only to New York City but also to destinations throughout the Americas. United already offers trans-Atlantic service from more cities in the UK than any other airline and we’ve every reason to be confident that this new service will be a success.”

Our own analysis shows that approximately 75,000 bi-directional O&D passengers have flown between Newcastle and destinations across the United States in the first eight months of 2014, flying to and from more than 160 different points across the US, highlighting the importance of the connection opportunities. New York (New York JFK and Newark EWR) is the largest single market ahead of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and Orlando.

KNIEVEL77
31st Oct 2014, 15:00
Sorry to change the subject but the local news are reporting a helicopter down near Acklington in Northumberland, does anyone have anymore details of the "incident" please?

SWBKCB
31st Oct 2014, 16:41
Two injured in a heavy landing and taken to RVI - no more details.

fl dutchman
31st Oct 2014, 23:07
Will be operated by SAS CRJ900 next summer. Daily ex Sat.

NCL-TRC
1st Nov 2014, 09:06
Flights seem to leave 2105, arriving in CPH 2345, can't imagine that will be very good for connections.

Heathrow Harry
1st Nov 2014, 09:35
not many useful ones out of CPH TBH - anywhere in Europe you can get from AMS

EK77WNCL
1st Nov 2014, 16:24
Good Scandinavian connections... And they aren't really helping themselves by not trying but... I'm sure it works for them, they'll be mainly after O&D anyway.

mad_rich
1st Nov 2014, 20:06
BA status pax 'throwing it all' for a direct flight.. now theres a first

I think this will indeed be a bit of a stumbling block for the UA flight.

Business travellers from NCL will likely have built up status either in the Executive Club or Flying Blue, or both. Switching their transatlantic flying to another alliance might be a turn off for some, particularly as there's not much Star Alliance presence here to make use of it.

It would really help if we got a ZRH or FRA service.

I haven't used the EK flight for the same reason - I don't want to throw away the miles.

All in all, excellent news though. I hope it's successful and I hope it comes back as a year-round service. The flight timings are very civilised, too (although suspiciously long?!)

EK77WNCL
1st Nov 2014, 21:04
What I would do if I had any real status with an airline would be (especially convenient as this is currently only a seasonal service) is begin to use UA but not on every trip, I'd then start to treat myself with J and F and whatever other things I can use miles for and then build up UA status.... Followed by making a full transition to UA or alternating whichever airline I use.

Although I realise most businessmen etc. Will not be that flexible/willing/open to change

On another note I hope NCL isn't effected too much by the up and coming EDI-JFK on AA (and to a much lesser extent BHX-JFK) lots of expansion across the atlantic for 2015, good times

Ph1l1pncl
1st Nov 2014, 23:56
Great news about the route, it definitely was unexpected, however I hope that some of the prices which are loaded onto the system are wrong. As if they aren't and they stay at those prices I fear that people won't book with United and rather take the cheaper longer route with BA or KLM/Air France. I did a booking for the beginning of August from the 3rd to the 7th and it came to £1244 return per person for an economy seat. I have not seen any of these advertised £500 odd fares. People have already started to tweet the airport about it and say they have been put off booking by the price.

Looking on the United website you can have a rough check of how the seats have sold for the flight and what is reserved etc, I am guessing the first flight out which the front is nearly half gone will be for press and dignitaries. I also hope the recently announced AA Edinburgh JFK route won't affect bookings too.

Good luck to the airport though, they have and will market this route heavy until May next year.

mad_rich
2nd Nov 2014, 01:28
I have not seen any of these advertised £500 odd fares

They're definitely there, but don't expect to see them in August.

Try June 7th-15th, for example. £372.

You can search a month at a time at Matrix - ITA Software (http://matrix.itasoftware.com)

anz1970
2nd Nov 2014, 17:09
There is a £376 fare, shame it is BA to LHR, then Air Canada to Ottawa then United to EWR....

NortheastTravelman
2nd Nov 2014, 17:26
It is good news that United have invested in an NCLNYC route from May 2015 however once someone does it on that 757 the non-stop benefit will be outweighed by the poor seat pitch AND single aisle frustration! It's a pity they couldn't have gone "twin aisle" to start off with the right impression?

mad_rich
2nd Nov 2014, 18:03
Definitely there:

http://i.imgur.com/DLvy8bO.png

SWBKCB
2nd Nov 2014, 18:33
the non-stop benefit will be outweighed by the poor seat pitch AND single aisle frustration

From the people I've spoken to non-stop is a HUGE benefit.

If you're up the front seat pitch and 'single aisle frustration' (whatever that is...) won't be an issue and down the back it's what people are used to on SSH and TFS. Compared to the hassle and time wasted in a transfer, not been mentioned as an issue.

ash666
2nd Nov 2014, 18:42
From the people I've spoken to non-stop is a HUGE benefit.
---------------

Yes, HUGE.

I've gone back to an old flight combination (not to USA) I used to do which involves transfering at AMS and I'm actually going a day early due to a deep distrust of KLM flight timings and the ability of AMS to transfer a bag from one plane to another.
Especially as they 2 legs can't be ticketed together these days :*

I would pay a reasonable premium for a direct flight.

Flying.Penguin
2nd Nov 2014, 18:57
NortheastTravelman; the 757 has been widely used on transatlantic flights for around a decade now. Flying on a 737, 757 or 777 the individual seat pitch does not change much as it’s the airline that determines seat-pitch, not the aircraft type.

Anyway, Newcastle to New York is only 6 to 7 hours, similar in length to many UK-Egypt flights which are also operated by the likes of 757s and even A320s.

99.999% of the flying public have no idea what type of aircraft they are flying on and 99.999% probably couldn’t care less either. An aircraft type in not a selling point (with perhaps the exception of the A380), a direct, non-stop flight for a customer’s local airport is a huge selling point.

INeedTheFull90
2nd Nov 2014, 19:03
I can't imagine anyone wanting the hassle of a Euro hub connecting flight followed by hassle, followed by a flight of 8+ to get to NYC when they can do it non stop in a fairly low density 757 with 31" in United Economy and 37" in UE+ which is comparable to their 777.

I've never understood this notion of two aisles being better. How often do you use two aisles? The crew usually do their service at the same time so both aisles are blocked simultaneously for those who INSISIT of using the facilities during cabin service.

Another benefit of a smaller jet is there's less of a surge toward to the border on landing versus up to 400 on a wide body.

757s across the atlantic are here to stay and without them this route would not work. The 757 issue has been done to death and I'm bored to tears with it. This flight gives people choice. They can choose convenience of they can trail to LHR/AMS/CDG for that elusive second aisle whilst still getting the same service, legroom and probably paying more for the Priveledge. Each to their own.

CabinCrewe
2nd Nov 2014, 19:04
what UK to Egypt flights are 6-7 hours ?

INeedTheFull90
2nd Nov 2014, 19:13
They can certainly edge toward the six hour mark in winter westbound. I've crewed one myself and was due to winds being particularly strong. Thomson Airways have a block of 6:25 SSHGLA. The flights are long, just over an hour more and you could be in NYC.

fa2fi
2nd Nov 2014, 19:50
Most of the transatlantics are much of a muchness no matter what is painted on the tail or what kind of plane it is (never consider this really, I go for price and comvenience only). The non stop links will make a weekend trip more feasible and less exhausting.

I have leave coming up at the end of the month. New York is my absolutely favourite place but I simply could not face the journey where all I want to do is relax after a hectic summer. So I'm off to good old Spain instead! Had this flight been available I would not have hesitated to book it and couldn't care less. A plane is a plane to me down the back and I wouldn't have even considered it. I see 757s from USA all over Europe.

Hipennine
3rd Nov 2014, 07:25
Frankly, I'd rather be in a 75 with at least a sporting chance of some sort of a view out of a window, rather than the complete claustrophbia of being trapped in a centre seat of any twin aisle.

N707ZS
3rd Nov 2014, 09:08
£370.49 with all of those fees deducted how much profit is there left for United.

Cian
3rd Nov 2014, 09:39
£370.49 with all of those fees deducted how much profit is there left for United.

As a promotional fare, none. Though a huge portion of that is United's "fuel surchage" to make the fares look incredibly low so they're not losing as much as it'd seem.

owenc
3rd Nov 2014, 09:52
Ugh. Not again people already moaning about a 757. Have you even been on a 757? It's not like flying on Easyjet, United give lots of seat pitch and the chairs have a headrest with televisions.

Do NOT knock what you have not tried.

yeo valley
3rd Nov 2014, 10:29
Flown many times over the pond on a united 757, and its never been a problem. plenty of seat pitch. All seperate tv screens in the backs of seats.
The crew always very good and helpfull.
If there was a problem running 757 over the pond for what ever reason,then pax would not use them. If that were the case then you would not see the 757 on the ta routes.

pallan
3rd Nov 2014, 11:11
Any NY flight was always going to be a 757 so I'm not sure why people are complaining so much - it isn't even a very long flight. The only other alternative would have been a 767 which would be far too much capacity.

£370 is an absolute bargain fare, lets hope some of the higher fare buckets also sell however as this will be key to the success of the route. Interesting to see how much APD, and other taxes, make up such a large proportion of the fare.

skyman771
3rd Nov 2014, 12:24
This 757 vs "whatever" is only an issue if you are travelling with a partner in "Y".
Thus unless you are trying to compare vs a 767 / A330 which have 2-3-2 , 2-4-2 then "3-x-3" / "3-3" is the standard product in "Y" with possibly a few variations at the rear due to cabin size.
The issue is much more down to airline, & thus Food, Seat Pitch & IFE subject to ones priorities.
fa2fi Most of the transatlantics are much of a muchness no matter what is painted on the tail or what kind of plane it Absolutely agree, simply because there is very little variation in these 3 criteria on current scheduled offerings in "Y"
There was however very little in common with the IT's 757 services out of NCL & that of the scheduled transatlantic product, i.e. Seat pitch terrible, no screen back TV & definitely no AVOD, & IF there was food then zero choice. These comments are bourne out of personal experience in the 90's on half a dozen or so family IT's to FLA.
So why did I put up with it? quite simple CONVENIENCE, the flights went where I wanted to go when I wanted to go & as I always used as argument to myself, then in my experiences, they always fulfilled their prime objective i.e to get me & may family where I wanted to go SAFELY & ON TIME ! & everything else was a bonus.
In retrospect I did not actually see these flights as "cattle wagons" something that I later took the view of when often doing the TFS run. As an aside I recall one trip to TFS in the early 90's on an MD80 I think it may have been OASIS, I only remember this as it had a 2-3 seating config. i.e. there was a 2 seat offering & from recollection the trip was awful, adding further weight the suggestion that at the end of the day it's the airline that counts.
So come on UA:D:D show the North East what you can deliver, as for myself then my wife I will probably give them a try, though these days fortunately it's up front for us, so it really does come back to my original criteria CONVENIENCE, SAFETY & ON TIME.

LiamNCL
3rd Nov 2014, 19:14
My flight back from SSH to NCL was 5:50 Minutes on a Thomas cook A321 , i could easily of done another hour in respect that is the lengh of a direct flight to NYC

VentureGo
3rd Nov 2014, 21:39
United 757 from Newcastle is same time across the pond as anywhere else in UK regardless of A/C Type - So direct service is beneficial in all respects except possibly loyalty frequent flier schemes. (Not sure if I'm missing something with regard to recent postings on journey times

CabinCrewe
3rd Nov 2014, 21:45
thats not strictly true, but we'll not split hairs

Travel Agent
3rd Nov 2014, 23:19
I find it laughable that everyone has been wanting a NYC service for years and when we eventually get one some people complain its on on a 757! Much larger airports such as Stansted, Luton as well as other regionals with large catchment areas (such as EMA) would love a direct flight!

Give it a chance before its started!

ATNotts
4th Nov 2014, 07:13
Travel Agent

I find it laughable that everyone has been wanting a NYC service for years and when we eventually get one some people complain its on on a 757! Much larger airports such as Stansted, Luton as well as other regionals with large catchment areas (such as EMA) would love a direct flight!

I really am not sure what it is with spotters and enthusiasts. it's the same at any regional airport. Get a new service and it's great, but not quite right - wrong type, wrong frequency, wrong airline, wrong airport - but like Colombo there's always "just one more thing".

Why UA should consider launching a new route, to an airport that has never had a "proper" USA bound service and put on a larger wide bodied aircraft when they are quite clearly testing the water is beyond me.

Curiously, they are running business and have hopefully made a good business decision.

pallan
4th Nov 2014, 08:02
Well said, ATNotts, unfortunately many spotters can't seem to accept your last point and probably think a 767 daily/double daily or whatever would work!

I never saw the flight coming to fruition but now we've got it there seems to be a whole new raft of whats apparently wrong with it - give it a chance!

True Blue
4th Nov 2014, 08:34
I flew from Belfast to Newark recently on a UA 757. Good legroom, individual seatback entertainment system and choice of meals, down the back. Both journeys took far less than the advertised trip time, we came back in about 5 hours. I think you could do worse.

TB

10 DME ARC
4th Nov 2014, 08:35
Nothing wrong with the B752! It must be the generation but I prefer single isle to wide bodies! I have flown in and worked with the Boeing 757 all my working life, I remember being on duty at London Centre for the first BA delivery of the B752 watching a VC8 catching it up approaching BNN!
It is a testament to its design that it is still flying transatlantic airliner ops 31 years after first entering airline ops!
Any way UAL are flying Y 31 inch SP, W 36 inch and F 76!! So no great hardship!!

LiamNCL
4th Nov 2014, 16:47
What is wrong with a United 757 ?

VentureGo
4th Nov 2014, 17:30
United also fly 757's on their Heathrow to Newark service on some flights:

United Airlines flights from Heathrow, London to Newark Liberty, New York. (2014-11-04 00:00:00) (http://info.flightmapper.net/route/United_Airlines_UA_LHR_EWR?date=2014-11-4)
Tonight's departure at 18.00 operated by 757
http://www.flightradar24.com/UAL115/4bc327c (Live at 18.40)

There's no problem with the 757 flying across the pond from Newcastle - Infact as already stated by some contributors, it could be an advantage in terms of easier and quicker loading and disembarking, Same quality on board service as larger aircraft, but probably quicker and more attentive service. More chance of window view (even from aisle seats)

Hope the service does well.

SWBKCB
4th Nov 2014, 19:50
While we are talking 757's, worth noting that with Jet2's switch to 738's, there are now none based at NCL for the first time in ??? :eek:

EK77WNCL
4th Nov 2014, 23:05
I never got round to making this point actually, thanks to UA NCL will have a regular scheduled 757 service next year, something it almost didn't have thanks to Jet2. NCL has had a scheduled 757 service every year since 1983. As long as there have been 757's... They have been flying into NCL.

malcolm380
5th Nov 2014, 00:54
There is no problem flying UA 757s across the pond at all... or switching alliance from BA to UA. I did exactly that, thanks to the CO BRS-EWR service. I've been a CO/UA customer ever since. I spent all my BA miles and haven't flown BA since 2011. The 757s are perfectly suited to the TATL routes, and are not only very comfortable (in Y, or Y+, which is almost always available for $109 at on-line check-in), but have excellent AVOD. I had the misfortune to fly EWR-LHR-EWR in a UA 767 recently, not an experience I want to repeat... and UA has the added advantage of pre-booking your seat at the time of reservation. Enjoy this new service and use it as often as you can. Newcastle is actually my birthplace, and I will probably use this service myself... I'm delighted to see it launched and hope it matures into a year-round daily service.

crewmeal
5th Nov 2014, 05:35
I didn't hear anyone moan about Jet2 charter services to the big Apple. I'm sure the seat pitch and entertainment facilities fall short compared with UA. Come on guys stop bleating. Let them get on with it.

ash666
5th Nov 2014, 05:41
Of course, the whole experience depends on the airports as well.

So what on earth is NCL security up to now???? Not only do they want your belt off and laptop out of your hand luggage but also anything that could even be remotely described as electrical - phones, cameras, spare batteries etc etc but also even little thumb (flash) drives, SD cards and even the leads that can join 2 things together.
This is getting quite absurdly ridiculous especially as NCL seems to be the only airport which does this.

SWBKCB
5th Nov 2014, 05:45
Come on guys stop bleating. Let them get on with it.

Somebody made a comment (their first post) two pages back, and virtually every post since has been positive so not much bleating, but you're right time to move on!

LiamNCL
5th Nov 2014, 05:53
I didnt think Security was that bad when i flew in October ?

ash666
5th Nov 2014, 05:56
I asked when it started and he said a couple of years which is a nonsense. It wasn't like that In June, nor it seems, October.

_ShIfTy_
5th Nov 2014, 07:29
I guess it's in relation to a big mistake which recently happened.

deltahotel9
5th Nov 2014, 07:34
Security has been like that a while now, there is a post from me some way back in this thread about exactly that when I had an argument with a charming young lady who was barking instructions at us, probably around Sep/Oct last year I think. They still remain the only airport I travel through which insist on such draconian measures. With the paranoia of our American friends the security will get worse not better once a direct scheduled US flight starts.

ash666
5th Nov 2014, 07:45
God, can you imagine the US flights :}

But again, no consistency between staff.
I will be going from Bangkok up to Northern Thailand for the weekend and that airport doesn't even make you take your laptop out.

Come on Shifty, spill the beans.

Jamesair
5th Nov 2014, 08:44
ASH66 Removing your belt and laptop to be removed has been happening in the London airports for ages now, devices with flat batteries are now suspect as well, so remember to keep everything fully charged.

ash666
5th Nov 2014, 09:29
I'm ok with the laptop,even the belt, but you should have seen the tray of of other stuff the guy took out my bag as I was fully loaded for a long haul flight and AMS doesn't have the best record of managing hold luggage.
Apart from the phone business it was all so unnecessary.

HH6702
5th Nov 2014, 09:41
I flew from Manchester a few weeks ago and they were the same belts off and even made some take shoes off!!

I think it's every airport and the way the world is these days..

I'm sure you would rather be SAFE than sorry.

I'm agreeing with everyone else now can we move this on to something else.

Great news we now have New York and the 757 will work
Can we now all start about something else now

LiamNCL
5th Nov 2014, 19:29
Seen a advert for Iceland (The country not shop) on TV and got me thinking , has NCL ever had any sort of Iceland flight ?

SWBKCB
5th Nov 2014, 19:42
For a number of years in the mid90's Icelandair operated Christmas shopping flights (inbound!) but can't think of anything else.

HH6702
5th Nov 2014, 20:07
Been thinking that myself.
I remember there being Xmas flights many years ago

However Iceland seems to be making a come back and over theast few years easyjet and other loco carriers have been adding flights to Iceland.

It would be nice to see this added back to ncl even a 2x weekly flight by jet2 would be nice

Let's make this the new wish list route !!! lol

Flying.Penguin
5th Nov 2014, 20:19
Correct me if I'm mistaken but I seem to remember Jet2 planned a series of one-off flights to Reykjavik and a few other destinations but they never did operate?

EK77WNCL
5th Nov 2014, 21:54
Ash666, Love Don Muang, I suppose they put 2+2 together and realise that Thai locos aren't really a hot target for Al Qaeda

Flying.Penguin, they operated 1 flight each to Reykjavik, Marrakech and St Petersburg

INeedTheFull90
6th Nov 2014, 08:07
Easy Jet routes for next year now been launched. Nothing from New Castle. Quelle surprise.

Boris1
6th Nov 2014, 09:28
Nothing at all?

ash666
6th Nov 2014, 09:35
EK77
I never had a problem with Don Muang and quite like Suvarnabhumi, especially now that they have changed to a single queue at inbound immigration.

Off to Khon Kaen tomorrow where a plane wheel came off the runway on Monday and closed the airport for 2 days.
Anyone remember the Dan Air episode at NCL lots of years ago when the same pilot came off the runway 2 days running?

skyman771
6th Nov 2014, 11:44
Anyone remember the Dan Air episode at NCL lots of years ago when the same pilot came off the runway 2 days running?
Certainly do, my late parents were on board one of the flights. Nothing frightening for them, indeed from what I recall they did not realise the aircraft had left the tarmac until the cabin announcement, just frustration at the delay in disembarkation & many amusing comments added wrt the pilots competence;) on the telling of tale to their friends.

NCL-TRC
6th Nov 2014, 15:52
Easyjet are starting/continuing GVA Year round from next year.

KNIEVEL77
6th Nov 2014, 16:03
30-Oct-14 G-MOGY Robinson R22 Acklington, UK | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://helihub.com/2014/10/30/30-oct-14-ackington-uk/)

Sorry to hear the details about this local helicopter accident, I hope all are recovering well.

HH6702
6th Nov 2014, 20:01
Good news about easyjet bringing Geneva back year round

Just looked for June and it looks to be 5x weekly

Let's hope there is more to come from easyjet

Looking good for summer 2015!!!

fl dutchman
6th Nov 2014, 20:41
It seems to take over from AMS which is ending at the end of May. 4x weekly from 1 June until 6 Sept bookable.

Rain dog
6th Nov 2014, 20:57
:)

:suspect:

EK77WNCL
7th Nov 2014, 00:10
I'm sure AMS/GVA operate alongside each other in April, as I'm going both Geneva and hopefully Amsterdam, with easyjet in April within a few days of each other and they both operate on the same days

heslop2006
7th Nov 2014, 18:31
Ash666 -

I really enjoyed flying from Don Mueang last year. Although, at immigration, I got the allowance to go through "Thai Citizens" because I had a working visa as a teacher in a Thai high school. So immigration was very quick for me.

Even Suvarnabhumi is a great airport, credit given to Bangkok for having two really great airports. I didn't have an ounce of difficulty with them.

As for the new service with United - I'm delighted for NCL and for me personally, fitting into the categorised "spotters" - the type of aircraft doesn't phase me at all.

It's more of a celebratory thing that we now have the route that people long desired to have.

I just hope that people use it enough for the airline to perhaps feel there be enough to have the service run fully/year-round.

fl dutchman
7th Nov 2014, 20:30
EK77WNCL. The Winter GVA ends on 19 April and restarts for the summer in 1 June. AMS runs to the end of May. So your correct up to 19 April.

ash666
8th Nov 2014, 00:27
Heslop
All the Thai airports are pretty user friendly and don't even try the NCL cheap trick of forcing every passenger to walk through a retail outlet to get to the gates.

Jamesair
8th Nov 2014, 08:57
I've just been through Naples and Las Palmas airports where the same retail ploy exists. This is the new marketing experience for pax and not limited to NCL.

Off topic, but one of my biggest disappointments was at Gatwick where the only place that looked out on the Nth Terminal apron has been closed off by a new building, so you now have to sit looking at a blank wall. Such is progress.

10 DME ARC
8th Nov 2014, 17:31
If you want low cost air fares then the airport has to cut charges as well so they have to earn money some how!!!

SWBKCB
8th Nov 2014, 17:42
Get away from here with your harsh commercial realities! :(

You'll be telling us there's no Santa next!! :{

HH6702
8th Nov 2014, 18:26
Hey Santa is real..........

He give us our New York link at last....... Lol

HH6702
10th Nov 2014, 13:34
Thomson holidays are to start packages to Iceland for winter 2015/16

Flights are from Manchester and gatwick only

We may get flights to Iceland again if people are asking

Jamesair
10th Nov 2014, 15:45
CORK is now appearing in the summer timetable at 4 flts weekly M/TH/F/Su
29th March - 3rd Oct.

EK77WNCL
11th Nov 2014, 00:54
That's really good news, Iceland (and Morocco - I always associate those two together for some reason) are becoming really popular and I think TOM will be out best bet for an Iceland route now. I hold out no hope for Easyjet trying anything, unless it's more frequencies from LGW!!! :ok: :D :ugh:

My prediction would be in 2-3 years we'll have TOM to KEF and LS to RAK, then possibly TOM will retry AGA and I think we could see TOM/LS operating alongside each other on one or both of RAK/KEF once the first is established, ala FNC and Greek and Turkish routes where they operate alongside TOM/TCX.

It was only a matter of time before one of the major holiday companies gave Iceland a go.

Good news about Cork, hope the numbers improve. Shows that the 'Murican idea of more frequency + smaller aircraft = more passengers, doesn't always work, although I can't see why not.

SWBKCB
11th Nov 2014, 05:44
Are TOM flying themselves to Iceland or buying seats on existing flights?

HH6702
11th Nov 2014, 08:25
Not sure about Thomson aircraft.
The press release said flights will go on sale by Xmas

I'm guess it's there own aircraft as the flights are for 6 weeks
Mainly for people wanting to see the lights

Therefore I'm guessing it's there own aircraft.

jensdad
11th Nov 2014, 23:28
Iceland's a beautiful place: it and the Faroe Islands are the most beautiful places I've been to. However... can't really understand why anyone would prefer to go there in winter rather than summer. It's only light for about 3 or 4 hours in December - all that natural beauty and you can't see it 'cause it's dark! Northern Lights are stunning if you can see a good display, but they don't take bookings unfortunately :)

Anyway, back to NCL matters...

ariesboy1980
12th Nov 2014, 08:52
Flybe 2 x daily to STN from April!

SWBKCB
12th Nov 2014, 08:58
Twice weekday STN seems bookable for summer 2015?

HH6702
12th Nov 2014, 09:56
Looks like we are at a good turning point with the new routes for next year and increases in flights

Never thought we would see STN again

Good luck to flybe and hopefully see more from them

NCL-TRC
12th Nov 2014, 15:23
Stansted, really? Thought LCY would have been a much better option.

CentreFix25
12th Nov 2014, 15:30
The surprises keep coming !!!!

I agree, although probably not a bad one to have a go at.