PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

LGWAlan
18th Feb 2010, 14:27
Depends on the date requested of the agent. The "regional" flights operated to TRN by TOM by Crystal/TUI Ski all stop operating 14/3 - so for Easter holidays it is not poss ex NCL.

ash666
18th Feb 2010, 14:34
I wonder why they stop so early and miss out on the Easter trade?

skyman771
18th Feb 2010, 15:26
ash666 I wonder why they stop so early and miss out on the Easter trade?
I noted this way back when perusing the Crystal/TUI ski brochures. All I can say is that in retrospect when doing the TOM NCL - GVA return trip couple of weeks ago, then based upon the experience of having travelled same weeks for at least 5 years then the LF's were by far the worst I have seen at c.70% when this flight is normally pretty packed out.
May be it's even greater competition from EZY on same route? who knows, but I would guess that excepting school half term then TOM got their projections as to demand pretty accurate in withdrawing all the ski routes so prematurely this year. Whereas they do continue on a further few weeks at other provincial airports I'm unsure whether they extend to mid April.
This all raises another question, with the based 757 /738 being withdrawn from weekend ski work mid March, what is their subsequent utilisation as seems a bit early for "bucket spade" routes ?

ash666
18th Feb 2010, 15:35
yes, April/May is very in between times apart from medium distance- Tenerife, Sharm El Sheikh etc and they are already taken care of.
What LFs do they need to turn a profit?

Hipennine
18th Feb 2010, 17:28
Every few years the package tour companies seem to throw a wobbly when it comes to skiing and Easter, especially if Easter is not in March, and the flight programmes get significantly reduced. There is a risk of poor snow cover in April easters, and some lower alpine (usually lower costs) resorts effectively shut up shop whether there is snow or not - so fewer beds available to fill anyway at prices Brits currently want to pay.

sunshine79
18th Feb 2010, 18:03
There will be no chance of this flight operating for Easter next year, as Easter is the back end of April in 2011. Seen as though Easter is so close to the official summer 2011 season, do yo think some flights may start to operate early, say HER or CFU which are popular for Easter celebrations?

Travel Agent
19th Feb 2010, 14:02
I would blame the agent if they are saying the brochure is wrong.

Shoot the messenger then eh?

Brochures can be prepared as much as 18 months in advance and should only be used as a guide, as flights can and often do change.

HH6702
19th Feb 2010, 14:51
I see that the manchester service has been upgraded from a A333 to a 773 from june. Is this aircraft being used for the twice daily dublin or could ncl see the plane?

just thought i would start a different rumour.
Is Etihad looking for new UK departure point?

With EK doing so well i would have thought another middle east airline would be wishing they could start a service from NCL?? qatar airlines maybe?

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2010, 14:56
just thought i would start a different rumour.
Is Etihad looking for new UK departure point?

They dumped LGW so it is unlikely they will look at somewhere like NCL. I would guess, if anywhere, they would like at BHX or GLA/EDI for expansion. However, they are always an airline that seem to avoid the 'EK flow.' DUB being a prime example.

Maybe BFS or CWL ;)

ash666
19th Feb 2010, 15:51
How many regionals don't have a middles East connection?

luvly jubbly
19th Feb 2010, 16:00
As Etihad virtually bought Emirates, they don't seem to compete on the same routes. My guess us that they will eventually merge anyway...

HH6702
19th Feb 2010, 16:08
someone said a while ago that QATAR follows EK around a lot.
what are the chances of qatar coming?

has anybody worked out the % of cargo space used on the EK service yet since it started.? tyhe information was on the website of how much has been carried to date.

just if the cargo space is in the +90% say then the use of bigger aircraft or extra flights will then be needed?

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2010, 17:52
As Etihad virtually bought Emirates, they don't seem to compete on the same routes. My guess us that they will eventually merge anyway...

So the airline would operate from Dubai, Abu Dhabi and that new place they have built and given more names to it than Kerry Katona has had children?

I highly doubt they would merge - they are both doing quite well so I would assume that it would stay in a similar set up to be honest.

SWBKCB
19th Feb 2010, 19:53
Personally I think both Qatar and Etihad could work if they used Newcastle as a stop on the way to New York - they'd make loads of money from freight, broon ale outbound and coal inbound (although they'll have to be quick before Jet2 jump in with their 767) :E:E

Think that covers all the bases...:O:O

Getting back to the serious stuff, are the Wideroe flights to/from Bergen the past few Saturdays school ski trips?

Any other real news??

CentreFix25
19th Feb 2010, 20:08
I'd be surprised if Qantas wern't considering a Sydney - Singapore - NCL on their A380s.

Every other day they could drop in to Dubai because reading these ludicrous posts there is clearly also not enough seats to the Middle East from NCL. :ugh:

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2010, 20:13
I'd be surprised if Qantas wern't considering a Sydney - Singapore - NCL on their A380s.

Every other day they could drop in to Dubai because reading these ludicrous posts there is clearly also not enough seats to the Middle East from NCL.

Don't be silly...NCL can't take the A380...:ok:

nclops
19th Feb 2010, 21:12
SWBKCB

Yes, the recent WF BGO flights are school charters.

SWBKCB
19th Feb 2010, 21:19
Cheers, Nclops - the voice of sanity as always.

Ops Guy
19th Feb 2010, 22:32
Did someone say New York?? :E :E :E :ugh:

I don't comment on here much these days for a few reasons, mainly though because in my opinion, this thread seems to be full of spotters living in dreamland.

Ready for incoming

Ops Guy :)

CentreFix25
20th Feb 2010, 05:26
There won't be any incoming beacuse everyone knows your right. The JFK, EK 777 and now Etihad posts have gone from being annoying to down right boring (might even be a wind up).

Don't be silly...NCL can't take the A380... LOL

skyman771
20th Feb 2010, 09:36
Ops Guy this thread seems to be full of spotters living in dreamland.
I have no doubt you are correct:D, unfortunately the same individuals also demonstrate an acute lack of business skills, though this to an extent provides amusing reading from time to time:sad:

ash666
20th Feb 2010, 09:39
could we not lay our coats down at the end of the runway.....

maxtoon
20th Feb 2010, 10:58
I have no doubt you are correct:D, unfortunately the same individuals also demonstrate an acute lack of business skills, though this to an extent provides amusing reading from time to timehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

Agreed, no interest in the financial side .. They just want to see 'big' planes :suspect:

Jamesair
20th Feb 2010, 15:48
or even more planes and new airlines :ok:

transwede
20th Feb 2010, 15:57
Can we not impose some kind of fine system for people who mention NYC, EK expansion? Surely it has been done to death and surely if it were so much of a brilliant opportunity, the suits in the offices of whatever airline, would have introduced something by now? :E:E

Lets see how many postings we can go for without the afore mentioned routes being brought up again?

My final word for expansion is small and steady.................lets not rush ahead!

GrahamK
20th Feb 2010, 22:31
On a serious note :E, could NCL handle an A380 diversion (in the unlikely event that all of MAN,BHX,LHR,LGW,STN,EMA,PIK,GLA,EDI are all closed at the same time).

And when did AF start using the smaller CRJ for the night stopper, would have thought that this would have been the most popular flight of the day. CDG figs have been in freefall for quite a while unfortunately :sad:

nclops
21st Feb 2010, 00:03
They started using the smaller CRJ on the nightstop at the begining of last summers timetable. Its been on there nearly a year now.

Jamesair
21st Feb 2010, 16:14
I'm sure I read somewhere that there are no longer any Ferry links between Newcastle and Scandinavia. Can anyone confirm?

If so, this must have opened up a lot of opportunities for new air links

HH6702
21st Feb 2010, 16:36
Correct jamesair
Well over a year ago now.
Eastern started the bergan soon afterwards

maxtoon
21st Feb 2010, 16:38
I'm sure I read somewhere that there are no longer any Ferry links between Newcastle and Scandinavia. Can anyone confirm?

If so, this must have opened up a lot of opportunities for new air links

Fjord Line Ferries used to operate the Scandinavian link from Newcastle. However, DFDS bought them out in 2008 and subsequently cancelled the service. It may be re-instated at some point but for the moment it remains mothballed.

Jamesair
21st Feb 2010, 17:15
Thanks for the replies.....maybe somebody needs to look into re-introducing an OSLO link...previously Braathens. (once the economy starts recovering)

mmeteesside
21st Feb 2010, 20:36
Oslo is available via Aberdeen with Eastern, if they had many people wanting it I'm sure they would introduce a direct link.

Jamesair
21st Feb 2010, 23:33
Eastern fares would probably be too high. I was thinking more of someone like Flybe or Norwegian going for the tourist market that the ferry used to carry

Richard Taylor
22nd Feb 2010, 05:53
Oslo is available via Aberdeen with Eastern, if they had many people wanting it I'm sure they would introduce a direct link.

T3 axing this, I thought.

CentreFix25
22nd Feb 2010, 05:53
Thanks for the replies.....maybe somebody needs to look into re-introducing an OSLO link...previously Braathens. (once the economy starts recovering)

I flew to Oslo with Braathens many moons ago - there was 3 passengers on the 737-500. The service ended not long after.

ncleflights
22nd Feb 2010, 18:22
The NE has traditionally done very well with regard to tourist traffic from Scandinavia.

While I don't know about the actual yield didn't Jet2 have decent load factors when they operated the Bergen route and for that matter didn't Ryanair on the Oslo route?

Thanks

HH6702
22nd Feb 2010, 19:46
Ok so what can newcastle expect as new routes/airlines this year and next??
Defo no jfk/ewr or extra dxb

Turkey is selling very well again. We dont seem to do well during the winter months to turkey.
Surely there could be least a weekly flight to Antalya?
at the monment i think it stops early december and starts again end of march?

Could Turkish or Pegasus not try a 2x weekly YEAR ROUND flight to Antalya??

I know the answer before i see the replys but its more likely that hoping for long haul?

Jamesair
22nd Feb 2010, 23:51
If Flybe does well with Hannover maybe we will see other German routes. They publicly stated they were interested in routes to Germany and Scandinavia from NCL.

LH said it may look at other German routes.

Jet 2 usually comes up with a few new routes each year.

ReadyToGo
23rd Feb 2010, 00:05
Hannover has been an established route from NCL for a while, previously operated on the 737 by Tuifly, I think its essentially military pax, but could be wrong. Flybe ought to do well on the Dash.

But wether there are any other German options out of the airport well...

Frankfurt would be the icing on the cake, but probably only for LH/Eurowings
Munich - Surely with business, leisure, (Military too?) traffic it could work a few days a week?
Cologne - (Been tried I think?)
Hamburg?
Berlin - EZY to SXF perhaps? Maybe 3 times weekly?

But then I wake up and realise that these airlines aren't daft. They can see theres not good connections to Germany, and will no doubt have done research and realised its not worth it.
More bucket-and-spade routes i suspect. Can see a jet2 Hurghada on the horizon, perhaps a scheduled Mahon with EZY or LS... Much more likely IMO.

But then again, maybe there is some thinking outside the box... even if its shortlived... did anyone see Newcastle to Edinburgh and Oxford on the horizon????

RTG!

SWBKCB
23rd Feb 2010, 05:52
Just an update on German routes:

Munich - tried (albeit briefly - one season?) and dropped by HLX;

Cologne - tried and dropped by HLX;

Berlin - EZY to Berlin (can't remember which airport) has been operated and dropped.

apaul
23rd Feb 2010, 08:50
The past history of the German routes has been discussed before, so it's probably not worth going over the same ground. But in general the fact that a route has been dropped in the past does not mean it cannot work in different circumstances. Presumbly Flybe is happy with the Gatwick route as it has increased frequencies to four a day, yet this was a route that had just been dropped by BA and Jet2 in rapid succession.

HH6702
23rd Feb 2010, 09:25
Those HLX routes were over 5 years ago. The market has changed a lot since then.
HLX I think had the wrong aircraft type for the routes also lack of advertising!
Any new route should be given at least 12-18 months to build up not 6!!!

skyman771
23rd Feb 2010, 12:33
I am surprised that there has not been any comment of late on this thread as to the current performance of EZY. It was noted some weeks ago that there were crew issues and that some previously based had been moved overseas. Now I am no insider to operations but when aircraft are away doing "W"s or whatever then punctuality and servicability issues become more frequent, particularly towards the end of the day. As a case in point I noted whilst in GVA several weeks ago that the later NCL inbound was running several hours late but thought no more.
However I was astounded to hear from those holding reservations, the horror tale surrounding the EZY NCL-GVA on Sat 13/2. Apparantly being half term it was fully booked with pax who had paid "well over the odds" and having been messed about most of day then EZY simply cancelled the flight leaving 170 individuals with a ruined holiday.
I was informed that when seeking alternative travel ex NCL then the following Wednesday was first available. As an aside EZY blamed an aircraft going tech., but then they would:E
In my view not a way to run an airline and in being cynical then not a course of action to be taken should the cameras have been present!:ugh:
A sign of the times to come I fear !!

ReadyToGo
23rd Feb 2010, 13:41
I am not entirely 100% on this, so bear with me. But I think the scheduling on some (maybe not all) of the NCL-GVA routes is a W pattern with Bournemouth (NCL-GVA-BOH-GVA-NCL). Now I could be wrong, but thats probably cutting quite fine into crew hours. A bit of bad weather, or a minor tech delay and suddenly EZY have a problem with crewing.

I think since EZY started laying off staff at NCL they have really been trying to get everything they can out of those that are left. Theres only so many times that crews are happy to go into discretion, and the result is that flights get cancelled.

Again, this is opinion, and based on what I have heard rather than what I know, but it doesn't look great.

That said, every airline has horror stories like you quote skyman, and I am sure this isn't a regular occurance, nor is it unique to NCL. I agree its not good, but the majority of times, I am sure EZY flights get away on time

RTG!

Flightlevel001
23rd Feb 2010, 20:06
With regard to Flybe at Newcastle, I believe that the commercial department are waiting in the wings to see how the Hannover performs. I can't see it being a failure given that NCL has been somewhat lacking in German routes of late.

Flybe has often been reported as saying it would like to expand into Europe a little further from NCL and everyone knows there is great potential from NCL for an airline with BE's business model. The main problem for them is simply aircraft availability. They don't have enough Q400s to go round! 4 are being used up in ATH with Olympic and the rest are either deferred orders or sold on. Whilst a shrude move financially for BE, it means that the airline can't be very quick off the mark when it comes to expansion again... There are a few underused Embraer 195s kicking around but whether one will come to NCL in the near future is an unlikely moot point.

The SOU is a very popular route and the LGW services Flybe have managed to re-establish very well and is a great money spinner I'm told; that's Flybe's bread and butter route from NCL and will be here to stay.

I believe in the coming year, maybe the start of 2011, Flybe will put another Dash up there and then the expansion will start for BE. The reason why NCL seems to have stalled for them is that it opened at the beginning of a downturn!

flybar
23rd Feb 2010, 20:20
Presumbly Flybe is happy with the Gatwick route as it has increased frequencies to four a day, yet this was a route that had just been dropped by BA and Jet2 in rapid succession.

Jet2 did a deal with Flybe on the NCL-LGW route, in fact both airlines advertised flights for the each other to ensure a smooth changeover!!

The capacity of Flybe's aircraft is more suited to this route.

Jet2 & Flybe do not compete on any route from any airport

fl dutchman
24th Feb 2010, 14:48
Ryanair to Oslo 3x weekly from May I think.

HH6702
24th Feb 2010, 16:23
Ryanair can we please have our milan route back too since u have pulled out of manchester!!

Jamesair
24th Feb 2010, 16:47
aahhhh they must have read my post about Oslo :ok:

apaul
24th Feb 2010, 17:29
The Ryanair press release can be read here Luchtzak Aviation • View topic - Ryanair announces new route from Newcastle to Oslo (http://www.luchtzak.be/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41452)

It's to Rygge rather than Torp that they flew to before from Newcastle.

OltonPete
24th Feb 2010, 17:50
Not bookable yet on the website but shows on the homepage website
and indicates to me Mo/Wed/Fr from 19 or 21/5/2010.

Pete

TSR2
24th Feb 2010, 20:55
Newcastle ...... Oslo ..... mmmm

Aircraft limited to 95 seats.

Rest of the space required for liquid refreshment :ok:

BAladdy
24th Feb 2010, 23:49
Jet2 did a deal with Flybe on the NCL-LGW route, in fact both airlines advertised flights for the each other to ensure a smooth changeover!!

The capacity of Flybe's aircraft is more suited to this route.

There is no doubt the DH8 is far better suited to the route than a 737.

I have travelled on this route quite a bit since it started. I usually use the first flight from LGW-NCL on a Monday and Thursday am and return on the last flight from NCL-LGW on a Monday and Friday. Every time there is only ever a max of 50 pax on the flight. Does anyone know if the other flights during the day are busier or are the yields on the route quite high??. One thing I would say about the route is that it needs a earlier departure from LGW-NCL(say around 06:30) and a later service from NCL-LGW ( around 19:30). This would make the route appealing to day trip business pax who are based in the south.

Flightlevel001
26th Feb 2010, 07:09
The NCL-LGW certainly are high yielders and is predominantly designed for the business market hence the increased frequencies. Mondays and Fridays as well as the weekends tend to see loads in the 60s, which at this time of year is quite positive. Earlier departures from LGW and later departures from NCL would warrant those flights being operated by a crew from LGW as currently all Gatwick services from NCL are operated by local NCL based crews. As LGW is now a base for Flybe, it could be possible in the future allowing the NCL based aircraft and crew for new routes or expansion from the NE.

ash666
27th Feb 2010, 07:40
What on earth has been happening with EZY over the last few weeks? Every time I look at the NCL board it is cancellations and delays.

DL93
27th Feb 2010, 20:41
Mainly slot issues,
EZY have done the first wave belfast back to front the last few mornings with a LPL based aircraft,Tech issues have played a key part also, hence tonights delays.
and as a knock on effect, with the late slots its pushing crew hours to the max so all in all a wee bit of a shambles lately!!!

ReadyToGo
27th Feb 2010, 21:24
I take back everything I said about these being routine problems... lol

After reading ash666's post, I took a quick look at the NCL website. ANOTHER cancelled GVA, and a Faro returning in the early hours of tomorrow!

RTG!

skyman771
28th Feb 2010, 12:58
As you will note by my earlier post of 23 Feb, then I hate to say it, but I did address this issue. Unsurprisingly, then things are getting worse.
Reality is that under the current set up then problems WILL continue!:ugh:

ncleflights
28th Feb 2010, 15:52
...and the result of this will result in pax going elsewhere due to poor performance issues, bookings drop and we loose more based easy aircraft.
A vicious ezy circle ahead!!

BAladdy
28th Feb 2010, 15:53
SZ launced the NCL - NQY -PLH route back in April 2008. I know that the route is popular with business and leisure pax through spring and summer.

However does anyone know what the load factor is like through the winter months?.

Jamesair
28th Feb 2010, 15:58
You can check the monthly pax figures on the The UK Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.uk) website but remember that it operates at 4 x weekly in the winter

GrahamK
28th Feb 2010, 21:37
As a regional airport, I think this year will be a very good year for NCL, given the new routes announced already and hopefully more to come. A shame that NCL didn't get Aer Lingus again, perhaps they may have been wary due to poor loads on their previous attempts back into NCL, but apart from that, I think the airport has a good mix of Mainline, Lo-Cost and charter airlines, which shall stand the airport in good stead.

What everyone has to remember is that Newcastle has an extremely limited catchment area, roughly 3m people, which is tiny compared to the likes of BRS, LPL, EDI and GLA. So I think the airport is doing rather well as it stands given the current economic climate.

Rant over :E

BeaconInbound
1st Mar 2010, 09:52
Any ideas what caused the double ILS failure during LVPs on Thursday night/Fri morn?I heard DTV picked up an organ transplant flight despite having no fire cover as a result

HH6702
1st Mar 2010, 16:33
Iberworld sundays

Newcastle - Palma (Majorca)
16:20 / 19:55 (2 hours 35 minutes) (IWD3408)
Economy
15-Aug-2010 15-Aug-2010 Palma (Majorca) - Newcastle
13:35 / 15:20 (2 hours 45 minutes) (IWD3407

northumberlandairway
5th Mar 2010, 07:36
I thought that the recent announcement by Ryanair that Newcastle was to get flights to Oslo would have generated more of a response here.

We all know how fickle Ryanair can be when dealing with NCL but does the recent announcement mean that Ryanair no longer perceive the airport as being a wasteground and a place where they can't make money?

Is there any chance that they might consider setting up one or two more routes from their existing bases?

Wouldn't mind having Milan back.

BALLSOUT
5th Mar 2010, 10:20
northumberlandairway, It is the airport that are ficle in their dealings with Ryanair. They could have many more routes, and even possibly a base but they don't seem to want them!

northumberlandairway
5th Mar 2010, 10:39
Whether it was the airport or the airline that blinked first - it's really immaterial. The main thing is, there is some development at all. The airport management is obviously speaking to Ryanair - and obviously Ryanair are speaking to the airport.

After the loss of Shannon, Torp and Bergamo, as well as reductions to Dublin, this development is to be welcomed. We can only hope that more will come from it.

ash666
7th Mar 2010, 15:47
Can anyone explain why NCL check-in staff want to know how many bags are ski boot bags, i.e not just 7 bags in total to check in but 5 normal bags and 2 boot bags???

nclops
7th Mar 2010, 19:58
Its for loadsheet purposes. Most airlines use a standard baggage weight for every bag checked in (normally between 13kgs and 17kgs depending on airline and destination) ski's and ski boot bags are considerably lighter therefore the number of skis, the number of ski boot bags and the number of 'regular' bags checked in all have to be recorded separately (ski's and boots are normally recorded as 8kgs and 7 kgs).

Otto Throttle
7th Mar 2010, 20:23
It may also depend upon the airline baggage policy, as ski boots are arguably sports equipment and may incur an additional baggage charge with certain carriers.

ash666
7th Mar 2010, 22:00
But each bag is weighed individually anyway.
And sports bags eg ski bags, are indeed payed for on top of the normal allowance.

ReadyToGo
8th Mar 2010, 03:08
Each bag is weighed individually. But that doesn't necessarily mean that data is transferred to the Dispatcher. Not all airlines work on the real weight of the bag, but an assumed weight as nclops says. That assumed weight is what the Dispatchers loadsheet is based on. Some airlines do work on the accurate weight, which is added to all the other accurate weights and divided by the number of bags in total to create a more accurate average weight than the airlines own assumed figure.

The reason bags are weighed individually is so that the check-in staff can be certain that it falls within your allowance, (and can calculate the excess baggage fee if it doesnt) and/or so that they know wether it needs a HEAVY tag to identify it to the baggage team.

Another reason they may ask about boot bags/skis etc, is that some airlines like sporting equipment to be placed in a separate hold or container.

RTG!

ash666
8th Mar 2010, 07:08
Thanks for the replies :ok:

KNIEVEL77
8th Mar 2010, 17:47
Still waiting for a reply to my email about the ATC Simulator!

I also see that the Varsity Express enterprise has hit problems already!

And any more news on the hotel?

Ops Guy
8th Mar 2010, 20:21
Hotel - announcement will be soon.

ATC Sim - our Ops base is in the tower building and I've never heard or seen members of the public playing on the sim.

KNIEVEL77
8th Mar 2010, 20:27
Thanks Ops Guy.

I wonder why they advertise the use if the sim to the public but then don't respond to any emails?

On another subject, I need to get to Barcelona next Tuesday but it seems as though Easyjet don't fly that route on Tuesdays.......dose anyone know any reason why?

Looks like i'm going to have to go via Heathrow or Schipol now at great expense! :ugh:

apaul
8th Mar 2010, 21:03
EasyJet have cut frequencies quite a lot over this winter and not just from Newcastle. Paris used to be twice daily a couple of years ago. At present you cannot book a flight there before Sunday and there are no flights on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays until 30 March.

KNIEVEL77
8th Mar 2010, 21:06
Wow, I wasn't aware the recession had hit the aviation industry THAT much........sad times!

Jamesair
9th Mar 2010, 12:06
The proposed Edinburgh - NCL - Oxford service in April looks in doubt with services already being suspended for "operational reasons" on the Oxford - Edin burgh route.

ACARS
9th Mar 2010, 21:34
Anyone have any update on the planned events for 75th bday? I have booked day off work in the hope it's going to be a good day for us enthusiasts.

Ops Guy
10th Mar 2010, 20:14
I have booked day off work in the hope it's going to be a good day for us enthusiasts.

It will be :ok:

GrahamK
10th Mar 2010, 20:52
Quick question, but flying from Newcastle to Tenerife with Jet2 in a few weeks time, do these flights normally involve being bussed out, or does the 757 get a stand at the terminal?

Cheers

Earlyriser
10th Mar 2010, 21:18
Graham K,

Jet2s 757 only flys Friday,Saturday and Sunday from NCL at the moment so the rest of the week it is parked on the remote stands. Sometimes it is towed onto a stand at the terminal if there is one free some times it isn't ,Depends if there are staff available to tow the aircraft over.

HH6702
12th Mar 2010, 22:49
Looks like bmibaby have started to put Winter 2010/11 flights on sale from EMA,BHX etc

What can NCL expect to see from our based airlines this winter??

Im sure Flybe will add hannover to there winter timetable
what else can we see from flybe,easyjet, jet2 and ryanair??

Hopefully a lot more from FR??

apaul
13th Mar 2010, 07:17
Jet2's programme for next winter has been on sale for a few weeks. As usual it's pretty limited and with the oil price likely to rise I would not expect to see expansion elsewhere.

GrahamK
15th Mar 2010, 22:40
Well, the Feb provisional pax numbers are out, and are as follows (key routes):

Brussels: +74%
Copenhagen: +26%
Paris CDG: -14%
Dusseldorf: +11%
Dublin: -41%
Malta: +540% :E
Amsterdam: -8%
Dubai: +18%
Heathrow: +11%
Gatwick: +6%

For the 12 month rolling year, NCL is down as just over 4.5m pax, which is 7.1% down.

Jamesair
20th Mar 2010, 18:11
On another thread there is a rumour that Eastern is to base an EMB135 at NCL. Does anyone have information on this?...will it be used on existing routes or is it for new routes?

SWBKCB
20th Mar 2010, 19:18
On another thread there is also a rumour that Eastern is to use any EMB135's for a lease abroad...

take your pick!

GrahamK
24th Mar 2010, 20:46
Seems to have gone all quiet on the western front, any news whatsoever coming from the airport?

2011 see's Florida flights start in April, first time this has happened for many a year is it not? (SFB in April, not SFB flights in general :ok:).

skyman771
25th Mar 2010, 09:09
In speaking to "the informed" then I understand that it is no longer a question of "IF" but rather "WHEN" as the decision has now been made within EK to upgrade the NCL-DXB to a 777, timing being dependent upon the availability of a specific version of aircraft from fleet, as due to operating restrictions then only one version is able to comply.
Now if I was in marketing then it would seem that 26 July would be too good an oportunity to miss to showcase the forthcoming product ;)

HH6702
25th Mar 2010, 09:48
I want to be first to say it!!! IT WILL NEVER BE UPGRADED TO A 777 !!!

deltahotel9
25th Mar 2010, 10:27
And back in the real world, why is it that BA have cancelled virtually all the LHR services the last couple of days post strike? As usual it appears the slightest hicup anywhere in the system and the NCL flights are cut, I am now very reluctant to book BA flights when I have a choice of other carriers as they are simply no longer reliable. Comments anyone?

ash666
25th Mar 2010, 10:47
I have to agree and I, too, would be very reluctant to book a BA flight from NCL given the alternatives.

nclops
25th Mar 2010, 11:21
2011 see's Florida flights start in April, first time this has happened for many a year is it not? (SFB in April, not SFB flights in general http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif).

It looks like the Cancun flights are starting in April for the first time as well according to the Thomson website.

cjags
25th Mar 2010, 11:52
Following the problems associated with the U2 GVA/BOH rotations this winter, I have heard that GVA flights from NCL will be crewed by GVA based flight crew for Winter 2010/11.

I wonder whether this will free up a NCL based aircraft for a new winter route from the region, or whether U2 are planning to lose more a/c from the north east. I sincerely hope it's not the latter.

HH6702
25th Mar 2010, 12:28
Pity we can have cancun and sfb throughout the winter months too!!

globetrotter79
25th Mar 2010, 12:40
REF: SFB in April

Remember that easter 2011 is quite late in April...so it will be the first time in a few years that the tour ops have the ability to run a program beginning April and running onwards into Summer supported by the school easter holidays without a very poor few weeks in between 'normal' earlier easter hols and the start of summer season 'proper' (May)

skyman771
25th Mar 2010, 13:09
HH6702 I want to be first to say it!!! IT WILL NEVER BE UPGRADED TO A 777 !!!
Oh you of little faith, "never say never", I suppose you'll also be prepared to stick your backside out of Fenwicks window.
N.b.The information I received did not emanate as result of some demented "reggies" fantasy.
Still this is after all only a rumour network & I accept that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Though I am surprised that without any grounds then you can be so positive.

ReadyToGo
25th Mar 2010, 15:14
More EZY delays this morning by the looks of them, some of them approaching 2 hours?

Are they are still suffering from lack of crew? (Having laid a fair few off not so long ago?)

RTG!

KNIEVEL77
25th Mar 2010, 16:21
Chaps,

After not getting a response from the email address published on the Airport website regarding the ATC Simulator, I dropped the Press Officer a line as I knew her from old during my time spent there filming Airline for ITV.

Anyway to cut a long story short, it looks like there has been an IT glitch which has now been rectified and the original email address is once again active.

Good luck,

K77.

cjags
25th Mar 2010, 17:08
More EZY delays this morning by the looks of them, some of them approaching 2 hours?

Are they are still suffering from lack of crew? (Having laid a fair few off not so long ago?)

RTG!

Not sure about the GVA, the AGP departure this morning would likely to have been a STN crew.

I have heard that GVA from NCL for winter 2010/11 will see GVA crew operating the service.

GrahamK
25th Mar 2010, 21:38
Is there a bit of fog on the east coast tonight, I see a few flights have diverted to MME and LBA?

KNIEVEL77
25th Mar 2010, 21:40
That doesn't suprise me, i'm only 2 miles from the Airport and it's like pea soup here!

GrahamK
25th Mar 2010, 21:57
As long as it's nice and bright next friday morning :ok:

KNIEVEL77
25th Mar 2010, 22:00
Why, what's happening then?

GrahamK
25th Mar 2010, 22:04
Your's truly is jet(2)inng of to the sunnier climbs of Tenerife for some well deserved San Miguel/Dorada/any other alcoholic beverages :E

Don't suppose anyone knows what Jet2 757 will/may be doing next fri's TFS do they?

*Runs for cover*

OMGitsDAVE
25th Mar 2010, 22:17
Here in Hartlepool it is very gloomy and fog is rolling in.
So far, I can see that MME has had diversions from Birmingham & Brussels (one Eastern & 1 BMIbaby)

ash666
26th Mar 2010, 08:18
No, we need sunny next Thursday morning!

and I see today's flight(s) to LHR are still being cancelled. Shame on BA.

Earlyriser
26th Mar 2010, 14:41
Graham K

The currant Jet2 757 at NCL is the Newly refirbished G-LSAD she has had a full cabin refit and a new coat of paint! Staying white for the foreseeable future As Jet2 intend to lease her out come the Winter!

Travel Agent
27th Mar 2010, 18:03
re LHR cancellations

I;m beginning to worry now, I booked some flights to Toronto last October to travel this April 17th. Granted its still a few weeks off yet but I am starting to regret paying £76 more to fly BA than to go from Manchester. The KLM/AF flights were £80 more before anyone asks why I didnt go with them lol.

fl dutchman
28th Mar 2010, 00:21
Travel Agent.

B. A. are still managing two or three flights a day to LHR during the strike period and I think from Wed or Thur that increases to a planned full service by Friday. It seems that the always cancel NCL flights first perception has not been so during this dispute, the percentage of flights operated is no worse than on other LHR domestics. In fact during the first strike weekend I think more flights operated NCL-LHR than on the other B. A. LHR domestics.

I reckon there could be some really cheap B. A. deals coming along as soon as the cabin crew situation is sorted.

They seem to be doing very well at sorting anyone with affected journeys, and of course apparantly operated about 70% of long haul from LHR today (Sat ), So hopefully your trip to Toronto will be O K even if more strikes are announced.

Currock Base
28th Mar 2010, 00:28
Travelagent,
Don't stress about this. It is worth knowing that both NCL-LHR and LHR-YYZ flights operated on Saturday and will do so for the rest of this 4 day strike. Keep an eye on the news as Unite must give 7 days notice, so you'll be clearer by 10th April. If there is a stike when you are due to travel call BA as soon as they announce the revised schedule. Use the disruption option and you'll find a building full of Geordies willing to help you. If the worst comes to the worst, they'll reroute you with KLM. If something else is announced when you are in Canada affecting your return journey call 1-800-AIRWAYS.

Have a good trip

CB

SWBKCB
28th Mar 2010, 10:07
Just to clarify, from the details on BA.com, BA operated 3 out of 5 NCL-LHR flights on Saturday, plan to operate 2 out 5 today and 2 out of 6 tomorrow (no departure before 13.40).

From a quick look at EDI and GLA, it does seem that this is no worse than other LHR domestics.

Hopefully it will be sorted before your trip and you won't be affected.

Travel Agent
28th Mar 2010, 12:02
Cheers guys, I should of really checked that myself being a travel agent and all lol ;)

ash666
28th Mar 2010, 12:34
I hope they have got the de-icer ready for next week.

Jamesair
29th Mar 2010, 14:18
According to the APRIL NCL airport timetable the Eastern service to BHX goes up from 3 to 4 daily Mon-Fri.

mmeteesside
29th Mar 2010, 14:36
False - still 3x daily bookable on Eastern's site.

skhwoody
31st Mar 2010, 16:11
one of the airport police officers is trying to set up an official enthusiasts group at the Airport. If anyone is interested he is asking to be emailed direct.

[email protected]

he just needs full names / address of people interested for a meeting which is being held in April at the Airport

maxtoon
5th Apr 2010, 15:11
Airport to scrap free drop off zone outside terminal ...

ChronicleLive - News - Today's Chronicle - Newcastle Airport drop-off zone to be axed (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2010/04/05/newcastle-airport-drop-off-zone-to-be-axed-72703-26178421/)

ash666
6th Apr 2010, 08:59
Do they have a special committee that tries to think of new ways to inconvenience the passengers? I've never known an airport like it.

SWBKCB
6th Apr 2010, 17:38
I see that CO are pulling out of BRS after 5 years.

I think that puts the absolute, final nail in the coffin (its not a dead rumour, it's just resting - pining for the fjords...)

ncleflights
6th Apr 2010, 17:57
The chances of a New York Route have been a non runner for a couple of years now. Is it even on the management team radar now? (pardon the pun)

HH6702
6th Apr 2010, 19:20
Bad news for BRS.
maybe the aircraft is going to be used on a NEW UK route to EWR :ok::ok:

Only joking but had to type it!!!!!!!

ReadyToGo
6th Apr 2010, 20:23
How long has the airport had those vending machines for the "Fast Track" security?

Noticed them for the first time today.

I fly fairly regularly with Eastern, and so I get to use the Fast Track as part of the fare, and while its a nice bonus, I really cant see the justification of paying £3 for the privelidge, especially as sometimes you end up at the same X-ray, and sometimes theres no queue at the main line anyway.

RTG!

Sam Chipperfield
8th Apr 2010, 08:48
Thursday 8th April 2010 Arrivals

BD7925 12:15 VIENNA

does anyone know what this flight is for?

anthbower1234
8th Apr 2010, 10:34
Would any one be able to help me with a copy or details of the Summer Charter programme back in 1994?

ACARS
8th Apr 2010, 14:05
ReadyToGo

I think they were only installed over the last 7-10days. I saw them for the first time on Wednesday when i flew BMI to BRU. But they weren't there on the 30th March.

Must admit, I am tempted to use myself. But only if the queue is back to the top of the stairs.

wanna_be_there
8th Apr 2010, 14:12
Any more news on whats comming in on NCL's birthday? Would have thought something was known by now?

Earlyriser
8th Apr 2010, 14:41
Sam Chipperfield,

The BD flight from Vienna was a charter bringing in WWE Wrestlers!

The fast track machines have been there since early March.

fl dutchman
11th Apr 2010, 14:18
I see the Dublin service appears to have gone back up to 2xdaily on Fri and Sun.

GrahamK
11th Apr 2010, 20:00
fl dutchman

Been that way for a while.

fl dutchman
11th Apr 2010, 20:15
Sorry didnt realise. F. D.

Kev 1
14th Apr 2010, 16:00
Dubai route up 25% on last year.

Pax March 14,894
Flights March 62
Average Pax 240

Trusting all flights were operated on the HD aircraft, thats a load factor of 86%

ReadyToGo
15th Apr 2010, 21:46
(In theory) theres an unusual flight operating tomorrow. A "ZT" flight from Belfast, comes in, and goes out to Berlin SXF. A quick (but not extensive) search suggests Air Zambezi.... surely not? Oh hang on, its probably Titan... anyone any idea what it might be?

RTG!

nclops
16th Apr 2010, 16:42
Its a Titan charter on behalf on Audi.

ash666
19th Apr 2010, 01:17
Any sign of NCL/AMS opening? I'm stuck in Thailand and I saw a satellite map/picture of the ash "cloud" on CNN and there isn't any left!!!! It's just a very tiny area over an insignificant part of Europe.

Tflyer
20th Apr 2010, 15:59
Looks like a busy night for NCL with 11 TOM A/C inbound! Let's hope the airspace remains open until 0100 & the PAX can get on home ground! Wonder they are all going to be parked?!?! :confused:

speedbirdab
20th Apr 2010, 17:43
As well as TOM, don't forget BA has quite a few LH a/c inbound - with LHR shut, NCL must be high on the list as an alternative..

KNIEVEL77
20th Apr 2010, 17:47
I see on the Airport website they are recruiting Media and Public Affairs personnel!

Does anyone know if this is additional to the current staff or replacement staff?

I've been trying to contact their Press Officer but with no luck!

fl dutchman
20th Apr 2010, 18:18
Changing situation.

Latest info 5 x TCX inbounds and 10 TOM inbounds plus possible BA x2 tonight. Where will they park, presumably the regular based aircraft are mostly still there.

transwede
20th Apr 2010, 18:19
Diversions due in tonight:

11 TOM
5 TCX
1 BA

I am presuming that the aircraft will be parked on the taxiway (as most stands are occupied by based aircraft) and extra staff, equipment will be used to offload as all flights due in within a reasonably short space of time?!

apaul
20th Apr 2010, 19:25
Presumably most of the diversions won't happen now.

EGNT
20th Apr 2010, 19:30
One Transat A330 so far. Due out 0330. BA was diverted to Paris. Alot of the TOM/TCX charters still seem to be going ahead, however.

CentreFix25
20th Apr 2010, 20:28
With UK airspace opening at 10pm I expect most of the planned diverts not to happen.

Sprogston Green
20th Apr 2010, 20:36
With such short notice will other airports be staffed up to cope with any of the flights intended to go to NCL? Glad this things is over for now - good luck to all involved over the next few days - it will be chaos at best.

fl dutchman
20th Apr 2010, 23:02
So, all the extra inbounds except one TCX aircraft, diverted to LGW and other airports that have re opened. The Air Transat appears to be going back to Toronto about 3am.

Looks like things will slowly return to normal starting tommorrow. Easyjet showing a full programme at the moment. Jet 2 running Murcia, Malaga and Palma. BA starting LHR from mid afternoon. Flybe from about 14 00 hrs. KL starting on Thurs with full service by Fri. AF similar to KL except starting Wed. Looks like all charters cancelled on Wed. Dont know about others.

Hopefully full schedule by SAT ??.

ash666
21st Apr 2010, 01:37
can anyone guess when AMS-NCL will start operating?

ash666
22nd Apr 2010, 01:22
AK-Steve
Do you realise this is Newcastle UK?

GrahamK
22nd Apr 2010, 06:49
With regards to all the recent cancelled flights, are any scheduled airlines into NCL operating more flights, or larger a/c? Or are stranded pax being offered flights into other UK airports?

ACARS
26th Apr 2010, 15:33
What's going on with the new parking? Looks like the let down has moved and they are charging a minimum of 1pound for "Express" parking.

Montreal-Dubai
26th Apr 2010, 17:24
Hi Everyone,

Just noticed on my reservations system Sabre, and on the Emirates website, that a Boeing 777-300ER has been programmed to operate EK35/36 to and from NCL on Monday 26 July for the 75th anniversary celebrations. I havent seen any official notices yet but I am sure it will be forthcoming. Should be good to see!!! Yey!!!! :)

upnorth east
26th Apr 2010, 20:13
Due in 05.00 tomorrow - does anyone know if this is the "infrequent" cargo flight that comes in time to time ? or is it a passenger flight?

It doesn't normally show on the arrivals board.

N707ZS
27th Apr 2010, 07:00
Its a cargo flight that has come for a number of years at this time of year.

JKKne
27th Apr 2010, 11:40
Confused the hell out of me too when I flew out of there back home yesterday

The old free bit is now an express drop off and pick up which costs £1 for up to 20 mins

The new free bit is the medium stay car park which is free for 15 minutes and according to the airport is a 3 minute walk...bit longer when weighed down with luggage, avoiding hitting cars, moving cars and kerbs, only space I could get was practically at the Britannia

I'm just gonna pay the £1 next time to save the hassle...most likely the plan by the airport

skyman771
27th Apr 2010, 17:02
Just noticed on my reservations system Sabre, and on the Emirates website, that a Boeing 777-300ER has been programmed to operate EK35/36 to and from NCL on Monday 26 July for the 75th anniversary celebrations.
This was always likely. They will become common at NCL in the near future despite all the muppet doubters on this site!:ugh:

Montreal-Dubai
27th Apr 2010, 20:17
Yes totally agree Skyman771! Im sure the 777 can operate from NCL. Compared to some routes that its designed for, the NCL-DXB distance is relatively short. I could be wrong, but when I have flown on the 777-300ER on onward flights ex DXB, it gets airbourne effortlessly, its a superb piece of technology. Fingers crossed eh? The A330 is still a lovely plane to fly on in the meantime. :D

CentreFix25
27th Apr 2010, 21:25
http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/350781-newcastle-8-a-55.html#post5442026
Face the facts, a regular nonstop 777 service won't happen!

Big change in mind then Skyman - as you too were a "muppet doubter"

GrahamK
27th Apr 2010, 21:36
I wonder, will the 777-300ER be heavily restricted out of Newcastle though, especially if it's a muggy July day?

N707ZS
27th Apr 2010, 21:46
What about the high grounds off 25? Will it be fuel stops at Teesside:}!

HH6702
27th Apr 2010, 22:22
This is what I think
Aircraft and press announcment on 26th july at ncl with the report saying that
This type of aircraft to operate daily from ncl to dxb from 1st sept 2010 !!
If not by the start of the winter timetable.

There's still loads of u out there that have shot me down but I think that the 777
Will happen and it will be soon!

ash666
28th Apr 2010, 02:49
Or Felton if the wind is in the wrong direction!

Ash, still stuck in Bangkok.
Boy, are China Airlines going to get a letter when I get home. They have completely abandoned us, totally uncontactable.

Travel Agent
28th Apr 2010, 08:48
New route for Summer 2011 - TCX to Hurghada

April 2011 - Thomson to operate Cancun and Orlando a month earlier for Easter.

transwede
28th Apr 2010, 09:02
This is what I think
Aircraft and press announcment on 26th july at ncl with the report saying that
This type of aircraft to operate daily from ncl to dxb from 1st sept 2010 !!

HH6702, you could (and I say this literally as I am still of the doubtful crowd) be right??! We've been surprised before, but will a 773 not be restricted not just with take off performance and possible load limitations, but also with parking and apron? Its a very long aircraft and will the pier served stands be sufficient to park it or will it be a case of remote parking? I know a 747-300 has been on stand before but is it shorter or longer?

New route for Summer 2011 - TCX to Hurghada

This was announced 2 or 3 years ago and didn't happen, so hopefully it'll work second time round! LXR certainly was not a success with TUI.

GrahamK
28th Apr 2010, 09:14
transwede, B777-300ER quite a bit longer than a 747-300 :ok:

IIRC, only an A340-600 and the new B747-8 are longer.

Ops Guy
28th Apr 2010, 10:45
Its a very long aircraft and will the pier served stands be sufficient to park it or will it be a case of remote parking? I know a 747-300 has been on stand before but is it shorter or longer?

Yes it can be accommodated on stand 30 (stand 9), and if it couldn't be, then we would just reconfigure the stands so we could accommodate a B777-300 on Pier.

Regarding the hill of runway 25. If it was an issue they wouldn't look to operate the aircraft if it was going to hugely impact and restrict capacity on the route.

skyman771
28th Apr 2010, 16:47
CentreFix25
Big change in mind then Skyman - as you too were a "muppet doubter"
Well yes & no, I was unconvinced until a conversation with "the informed" back on 25 March led me to make post #1346 on this thread. I maintain that nothing that has occoured since has led me to doubt one word of this.
HH6702
I want to be first to say it!!! IT WILL NEVER BE UPGRADED TO A 777 !!!
Noted a quiet "180" below radar ????:sad:

Now not that is for us, but will a 773 be released when MAN gets the A380 ?

HH6702
28th Apr 2010, 17:03
Ek 380 from man from 1st sept.
Would make sence to upgrade ncl on that day 3 years on!

CentreFix25
28th Apr 2010, 17:39
Well I'm still a doubter (although I hope I'm wrong) - someone did post that a 773 couldn't operate. Any informed people care to enlighten us?

GrahamK
28th Apr 2010, 17:50
Am I the only one who thinks that the A332 is the perfect sized a/c for NCL-DXB? Yes' it's achieving very good loads, but to go from a 278 seat 332 to a 442 seat 77W, can anyone see it happening? Yes, it's good to see it as a one off, but on a regular basis? Thats a lot of seats to fill.

nclops
28th Apr 2010, 22:38
It might well be a lot of seats to fill but as has been mentioned on here quite a bit in the past, its the cargo thats the money maker and the 330 is arriving and departing daily with the holds full. If its is upgraded to a 777 it may well be for the extra cargo space.

chris1001
28th Apr 2010, 22:40
What about 777-200. I take it that is smaller than the 300 - would that not be the obvious step up? Not sure if there is a performance issue with the 200 from Newcastle?

skyman771
29th Apr 2010, 13:52
I was told specifically that only one of the variants of 777 operated by EK would be suitable due to performance issues. I'm presuming this is a 300ER version with the extended wingtips.
Clearly due to runway legnth then there are MTOW restrictions, though some of this restriction in payload can be offset by lower fuel loads due to distance NCL-DXB being less than half the 7930 NM range of a 300ER. Even with a generic model such as the 300ER then there are still variables due to power plant as as can be seen from published data from Boeing :-
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/7772sec3.pdf
I'd guess that it would only be the very occasional combination of temperature / wind direction & speed that would necessitate a review of pre-planned daily payloads leading to potentially embarrassing additional "non fuel" weight restrictions.

ROSSKi MYT
29th Apr 2010, 22:57
I see for S11 that the TCX RHO flight i a W pattern operating GLA-RHO-NCL-RHO-GLA. Does this mean a drop in aircraft capacity for NCL or just all aircraft utilised on this particular day

CentreFix25
30th Apr 2010, 06:24
Looking at the pattern you posted the aircraft starts and ends in Glasgow, this means that it is a Glasgow based machine. As long as NCL still has 3 based units then this represents an increase in capacity.

HH6702
30th Apr 2010, 09:47
Looks like rhodes is a w pattern into ncl on a tuesday so this free's up the
Ncl based 757 to operate to hrg!

transwede
30th Apr 2010, 19:56
Is it not a little early to be dilberating S11, when S10 only just starts tomorrow?! (Good news on new HRG route though..) :}

Denzil
30th Apr 2010, 22:11
B772/3 with RR engines has performance limitations at NCL, B777-300ER doesn't (GE90-115 a lot more powerful). Cargo/Pax loads are some way short of justifying the B773ER on permanent basis...

Jamesair
30th Apr 2010, 23:14
a new edition of the Summer Charter Timetable has been published on the airport website.

ash666
1st May 2010, 08:47
Has there ever been a NCL-Frankfurt flight?

apaul
1st May 2010, 09:01
Yes. I've been on it about twenty years ago. It was a small airline and a small prop plane.

ash666
1st May 2010, 09:07
How long did the route last? It sounds as though Frankfurt is bigger than AMS(where I am now, stiiiillll trying to get home after the volcano) for onward travel so could be a good destination.

Where is the free pick-up area these days? By the shelters or short stay? How long?

SWBKCB
1st May 2010, 10:47
Wasn't it actually a BA flight using Birmingham European Gulf 1's? Routed BHX-NCL-FRA in the late eighties?

Problem with FRA is getting the slots - more lucrative routes to use them on.

skyman771
1st May 2010, 12:34
Ash666
AMS(where I am now, stiiiillll trying to get home after the volcano)
In reading your historic posts over a long period then it is quite clear that you are not perhaps the luckiest of travellers.

Perhaps if you changed your name removing the ;)"ash";) then things may be better going forwards.

In any event I'd be grateful if you could post your future arrangements well in advance this may prove to be of great assistance in ensuring the trouble free journeys of others:ok:

ash666
1st May 2010, 15:45
Home at last!!!
I remember saying in an email mid April that everything was going way too smoothly for one of my trips, must be saving it up for a biggie. How prophetic!
I wish you could read my email to China Airlines who abandoned their pax. No accommodation from them even though it was a flight from/to Europe. Not happy about my well known flight travel agent not replying to emails, either.
And as you may remember I don't like the KLM hop either, though to be fair it has been a lot better lately.
As far as this forum goes, though, NCL will suffer because of things out of it's control. I'm never using CI again so NCL will suffer as well (I don't like the 50/50 split journey with Emirates). Time to get to London by train or car and a single flight from there.

ReadyToGo
1st May 2010, 15:58
Ok apologies if this is a really silly question but... how are the stands allocated at NCL? Do airlines get preference to certain stands, or is it more about practicalites/aircraft size.

I am by no means an expert, but I fly through the airport on a regular basis and have noticed it seems that Thomsons, BA and Emirates always seem to be on the bridges, while certain airlines (Jet2) always seem to end up as far from the terminal as possible.

I flew in last week, and a Thomas Cook 757 was on a bridge stand, but was boarded by stairs? Likewise, I have seen buses used to stands that are actually against the terminal! Do airlines pay extra for things like buses and bridges?

Again, sorry for a really really daft question, I am no expert, just an enthusiast who passes through a hell of a lot these days.

RTG!

stuart212
1st May 2010, 17:07
Hi,

Can anyone please adivse what the general loads are like on Fri NCL-BHD, and Sun BHD-NCL, I am wanting to get a standby ticket and wondered if I'll have any bother?

Cheers,

Stu

ACARS
4th May 2010, 10:25
Hello

As I was departing as SLF to BRU this morning, a Kuwait Airways landed at NCL. I think the reg was 9K-AMB. I didn't see any passengers get off.

Anyone know why it came to NCL?

Jamesair
4th May 2010, 10:30
This would be one of the periodic freight charters operated into NCL by Kuwait Airways on behalf of their Government

ACARS
4th May 2010, 10:53
This would be one of the periodic freight charters operated into NCL by Kuwait Airways on behalf of their Government

Thanks Jamesair - that explains why no passengers got off! :ugh: I have been flying SLF alomst every week for the last three years through NCL and have never seen it before.

Ops Guy
4th May 2010, 13:54
ReadyToGo

The stands are allocated seasonally in to our stand planning software, although there can be many stand changes on any given day due to operational delays, slots, aircraft type changes or stands out of service ect. The actual allocation of the stand is based on the size of aircraft and what the aircraft is actually doing. Domestic - domestic, intetnational - international or domestic - international. Only certain stands can be used for domestic - international , international - domestic. For example, an easy jet from Palma and out to Bristol would usually be allocated a dual stand so the passengers can be walked off in to international arrivals and then be walked from a domestic gate on to the aircraft for the outbound flight. We work closely with the control authorities to ensure we remain compliant with DFT regulations (we can't just put them where we want).

Yes it's more about practicalities. Although there are many occasions when the Pier stands all have aircraft on them and we have to park remote.

BA will always get the airbridge on stand 3 as they are the only domestic carrier who will pay for the use of it. The remaining stands with airbridges are all used by the remaining airlines. Although Emirates will always get the airbridge on the end of the Pier, for 2 reasons. 1) It's the only stand on the Pier that can accommodate an A330 2) It's Emirates.

Jet 2 did tend to stand around for days at a time during the winter season, therefore we would allocate it a remote stand. Regarding the TCX on an airbridge stand and not using the airbridge, this could of been down to a number of reasons. The airbridge may of been out of service or the ground staff may not have been trained to operate it.

Hope I've answered your questions, I've tried to keep my answers as simple as possible without going in to too much detail. :ok:

ReadyToGo
4th May 2010, 20:05
Thanks for a great answer OpsGuy!

I love the "2) they are Emirates" bit!

One more thing, do the airlines get charged extra for the "better" stands? Ie, if for operational reasons a TCX ends up out on the far side of the field, do they get charged less? Or if the KLM gets allocated a bridge, is that going to cost them more than if they use a stand without one?

RTG!

CJ1234
4th May 2010, 22:10
yes they will get charged to use the better stands. dont forget too that certain airlines refuse the airbridge stands - they take too long and cost more. in fairness, i can say from experience that theyre a bit of a pain in the butt.

Betablockeruk
5th May 2010, 09:36
So, all that discussion about EK 777 in NCL is about to be tested by Glasgow's EK27 now diverting en-route. Due 1300'ish

CentreFix25
5th May 2010, 15:14
It's due out at 18:00.

Getting a 777-300 from NCL to DXB is not an issue, getting an acceptable/profitable load is.

They are also on 07 which makes things a little easier.

upnorth east
5th May 2010, 15:17
EK28 shouldn't have any problems with take off at 18.00 as easterly runway (07) being used, so no problems with the hill off 025.

I think today is first time ever that two foreign owned widebodies have been on ground at same time, as usual A330 already on stand when B777 landed.

Where did you get your info so early that EK35 was diverting here ?

Thanks.

ReadyToGo
5th May 2010, 15:39
FAO upnortheast...

Might not be? Would the Air Transat A300 and Emirates A330 ever be on the ground at the same time?

N707ZS
5th May 2010, 15:44
A long time ago CP Air and Wardair DC-10s were sometimes on the ground together.

upnorth east
5th May 2010, 15:53
I stand corrected - just wanted to test your memories !! thanks.

BoeingGTi
5th May 2010, 17:41
Just seen it depart from my office window..... Seemed to get up well before the Jet2 that went before it :}

CentreFix25
5th May 2010, 18:48
Must have turned out to be a useful excercise as it loaded it's pax from the airbridge.

Jamesair
5th May 2010, 21:39
I heard on the news that pax from EDI were being bussed to NCL to pick up their flights and that MAN and NCL where diversionary airports for EDI.

Anyone know what diversions actually took place?

transwede
6th May 2010, 11:53
Easy, BMI and Lotus Air diverted in from EDI, KLM too I think. Someone said a total of 15 diversions?!

Jamesair
6th May 2010, 16:19
Thanks for the info Transwede, I'm assuming the previous Emirates 777 was one of them.

Random Flyer
6th May 2010, 16:51
Thanks for the info Transwede, I'm assuming the previous Emirates 777 was one of them.

Yes, the Emirates 777 was flying DXB-GLA and diverted to NCL.

GrahamK
6th May 2010, 19:31
On the subject of Emirates, anyone know why tody's flight is so late? Guessing a tech problem or something?

HH6702
7th May 2010, 18:43
There is a post on another forum that bmi are to base 3 x E145 for winter 10/11
Anybody heard anything on this?

3x daily to frankfurt
2x daily to cph replaces cimber
1x daily to zurich
3x daily to bru

2 x daily to dus operated by LH

Sounds good if true?

ash666
7th May 2010, 18:45
Frankfurt would be good, open up a lot of options. Might hit KLM, though.

Ringwayman
7th May 2010, 19:28
That post on the other forum is not gospel but merely an indication of what BD may end up doing. There's a fair few UK airports that may gain links to the LH group's bases with a question mark of what they are to do with MAN granted it's their biggest operation in the UK outside LHR.

aeulad
7th May 2010, 21:07
I don't think that Zurich would work, better off using the a/c to do something like a Hamburg, Munich or Stockholm.

Regards

Mike

HH6702
7th May 2010, 21:58
Has zurich been tried before if so by who and what type of aircraft used and roughly how much were tkts and what were loads like?

Jamesair
7th May 2010, 23:05
Way,way back in the mists of time Hunting Clan were going to do NCL - BRU - Zurich....I don't know if it ever happened or not.....probably not.

Hipennine
8th May 2010, 09:21
Presumably a ZRH would codeshare into the Swiss LH network, so I'd quite like it.

SWBKCB
8th May 2010, 16:18
Looks like the plan would be to link into Star Alliance hubs - but is the Cimber CPH flt still linked with SAS or do they operate it in their own right (i.e. no Star Alliance link)?

HH6702
8th May 2010, 16:33
Route in there own right. I'm sure they would move off the route if bmi paid them.
I do think zurich could work not many regional airports have this link

HH6702
8th May 2010, 18:40
Route in there own right. I'm sure they would move off the route if bmi paid them.
I do think zurich could work not many regional airports have this link

mad_rich
9th May 2010, 10:26
BMI CEO Wolfgang Prock-Schauer has already said he wants to pull bmi aircraft off the regional routes and use them to focus on the *A hubs.

Bmi seeks to take advantage of Lufthansa connection | ATW Online (http://atwonline.com/airline-finance-data/news/bmi-seeks-take-advantage-lufthansa-connection-0505)

That, of course would free up slots at LHR for *A longhaul.

As welcome as a NCL-FRA service would be, that depends on slot availability at FRA - which isn't good. I can't see a single daily ZRH working. And they'd have to be careful apreading themselves too thin (DUS and CPH are already not frequent enough to act as workable hubs. If they added ZRH and MUC - even double daily - that would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot).

The Embraers are a perfect size to operate 3x daily to a *proper* *A hub (which, with the best will in the world, CPH/ DUS/ BRU aren't). If we had two hubs - one of FRA/MUC/ZRH and BRU, they could really take on KL/BA/EK.

<Wild speculation>
Bear in mind also that MME airport has just won a high court appeal against bmibaby from when the latter pulled out of an agreement to base several aircraft at from the airport till 2014. Baby now has to pay MME £11m in compensation.

Instead of paying the compo, why not just set up shop at MME and operate 5x daily to ZRH, MUC, FRA, LHR, BRU and JFK. :E
</Wild speculation>

SWBKCB
9th May 2010, 10:56
Baby now has to pay MME £11m in compensation.

Just to clarify - that's what MME are claiming. There is a further court hearing to asses how much they'll get.

As for the rest of the wild speculation, 'mad' and 'rich' seems to sum it up perfectly :ok:

sean377
9th May 2010, 11:59
I was stuck in Tenerife when the planned meeting was to take place between enthusiasts and someone from the Airport (security?). Did it happen and what was said?

ReadyToGo
9th May 2010, 16:26
Was at the airport today, meeting a friend from BFS when I noticed the charters are starting to call in. Both Viking and SKY had flights, (albeit the Viking had a hefty delay... Not on the infamous MD83 I hope....)

Are these flights regular, or one offs? Any other unusual bucket and spade visitors? Freebird? Monarch?

RTG!

transwede
9th May 2010, 17:26
RTG the VIK charters are one offs, but to be honest they are operating 5 or 6 throughout the season to PUY, OPO and VRN?!

Not on the infamous MD83 I hope....) :eek:

Nope, its one of their 738 aircraft, which will also operate charters to CFU, RHO & HER later in the season. Lets hope that MD never reappears!!

Any other unusual bucket and spade visitors? Freebird? Monarch?

Turkuaz Airlines, Sky, Saga, Iberworld all have regular charters this season...thats about all with the exception of TOM, TCX, BGH, KM which are to be expected.

deltahotel9
10th May 2010, 08:57
And Onur of course who have the usual mix of Turkey flights.

skyman771
10th May 2010, 12:36
To avoid endless & repetitive questions re S10 charters are flying where & for whom, then I suggest all those interested avail themselves of the detail on the airport web site at link http://www.newcastleairport.com/NR/rdonlyres/6AB6CD7E-995C-446A-92EF-48C8FC0D9136/0/S10NCLTOGEd4.pdf prior to making their posting.
I feel sure this may address the more "fundamental" issues.:ugh:

DjerbaDevil
10th May 2010, 17:03
Skyman771:
Thanks for that. If there is any PDF file for scheduled flights, I would appreciate the link.

sam1993
10th May 2010, 18:03
DjerbaDevil,
Link to scheduled timetable: http://www.newcastleairport.com/NR/rdonlyres/BFF68063-52B6-4CB0-B276-D2241C065A25/0/NEWCASTLECOMPLETEAPR10.pdf

Jamesair
10th May 2010, 22:05
Although the May issue does not seem to have been published yet.

Kev 1
14th May 2010, 19:10
Does anyone have the up-to-date schedule info regarding the nightly mail flights operated by Jet2 & Swiftair?

Thanks in advance

Kev

DjerbaDevil
14th May 2010, 22:59
Thank you SAM1993, much appreciated.
DD

skhwoody
15th May 2010, 01:55
sean377Enthusiasts Meeting
I was stuck in Tenerife when the planned meeting was to take place between enthusiasts and someone from the Airport (security?). Did it happen and what was said?

The meeting was between the Airport Police and the enthusiasts and it went ahead with over 30 people attending. The information from this meeting is currently being discussed between the airport and the police and then pending a further meeting, once some issues are ironed out.

sean377
15th May 2010, 09:16
Thanks for the info.

Sam Chipperfield
16th May 2010, 11:53
Diversions for Sunday 16th May 2010 So Far:

TCX067L 11:00 REUS LANDED 11:58
LS2045 13:00 BARCELONA
EXS832 13:11 PALMA LANDING AT 13:11
EXS258 13:13 PALMA LANDING AT 13:13

More then likely there will b more

Jamesair
16th May 2010, 14:44
keep the diversion info coming SAM

It should be a busy afternoon for NCL

deltahotel9
16th May 2010, 14:45
If NCL is open and taking diversions why are all EZY flights cancelled? Some appear to have diverted to other airports eg BHX according to arrivals board. What's going on?

speedbirdab
16th May 2010, 15:52
Their website (not always the most up to date, but nevertheless) is reporting:

Following yesterday's announcement by the Department for Transport regarding possible closure of UK airspace from today (Sunday 16 May) until Tuesday 18 May, we confirm that Newcastle Airport remains open for inbound and outbound flights. An announcement by National Air Traffic Services this morning does not at this stage indicate any closure of the airspace around Newcastle.We are, however, experiencing some cancellations and delays due to the situation elsewhere. Customers planning to fly to one of the affected areas should check with their airline before setting off to the airport. Graeme Mason, Head of Planning and Coporate Affairs said " At the moment Newcastle is not affected by the higher density ash.The majority of flights are operating as normal, although we are now experiencing some disruption due to the situation in other parts of the country. As the no fly zone extends to several other airports around us, we are now handling a number of diversions".

fl dutchman
16th May 2010, 21:51
Strange that just about all Easyjet flights to/from NCL either cancelled or diverted today. I thought NCL has been open all day and is still is open now. Yet Jet 2 have done about 10 extra flights from other airports from/ to NCL. ????

Also notice that Easyjet have released the winter 2010/2011 schedule from all UK airports EXCEPT NCL!!!.

Any significance in this.

ReadyToGo
16th May 2010, 22:00
I can't understand what EZY were playing at, unless they made a monunmental misjudgement and thought by diverting early, they would be in a better position when NCL closed. Except of course NCL didn't close, and now aircraft are all over the place, and I would imagine the crewing department at Luton are having a nightmare trying to form some form of schedule for tomorrow.

Still, at least the airport wont be a total ghost town, plenty of Jet2's to keep it busy. I bet their handling agent had fun this afternoon

RTG!

Jamesair
16th May 2010, 23:37
NCL and DTV seem to be the only English airports open

neil_2008
17th May 2010, 07:32
Yeah I saw that too - it does seem strange that they have launched every UK base for Winter 2010 with the exception of Newcastle. This has never happened before, what can this signify?

fl dutchman
17th May 2010, 09:38
A couple of years ago there was a similar delay when the number of based aircraft was reduced, frequencys cut etc.

I hope something similar or worse is not about to happen. Lets look on the positive side.

HH6702
17th May 2010, 10:30
If flights are on sale for winter apart from ncl how does the flights
Look like from stn,brs,bfs into ncl. Are they using ncl based aircraft?
Should give us an idea of what's happening.

BFS101
17th May 2010, 10:53
It would seem that all BFS flights are currently on sale for winter, with exception of NCL. Belfast did use NCL based aircraft for all flights I think.

neil_2008
17th May 2010, 11:15
Hi, there isn't a single inbound or outbound for sale from Newcastle to any UK or intl destination post 30/10/10.

skyman771
17th May 2010, 11:44
Well I tell you that there is considerable unrest amongst the crews at NCL as to EZY's intentions as to it's future plans for the NCL base.

fl dutchman
17th May 2010, 15:08
Skyman771

Is there still going to be a base at NCL ?. If so whats the problem.

Jamesair
17th May 2010, 16:43
The airport handled 19 diversions yesterday.

I must admit I am a little worried about the lack of a winter timetable for NCL. When they used to announce an airport at a time, NCL was often last.

It is only a year since NCL was singled out in the Annual Report as being one of its most profitable bases.

ash666
17th May 2010, 17:40
Have any tech guys at NCL found any evidence of ash damage to engines?

ncleflights
17th May 2010, 18:55
Like a few folks on here I am equally concerned about the lack of a Winter timetable from NCL.

I did mention on here 18 months ago, before the closure of EMA was announced, that I was concerned that EZY had lost interest in NCL and we were becomming a stagnant base like EMA at the time. I hope we are not about to follow EMA to closure of an EZY base!

The lack of route development at NCL is concerning. The fact ezy routes are mainly to leisure destinations can't help. EZY has dropped NCL routes to Prague, Berlin and Copenhagen. Had frequencies cut to Stansted, Bristol, Belfast and Paris. Rome, Geneva, Palma and Nice that were initially year round have become seasonal. All this can't help NCLs case.

On the subject of announcing last year that NCL is one of EZY's more profitable bases, I would take this statement with a note of caution. A similar statement concerning how BMI Baby were performing at MME was given before they pulled the base. EZY also gave, I believe a similar statement about EMA just 2 years before they announced the closure. Finally an airline publically issuing a statement about how well an airport is doing appears to be similar to a football Chairman publically saying how well a manager is doing, this normally has the result of a P45 arriving on his desk a week later!

Hopefully ill still be proved wrong

skyman771
17th May 2010, 19:27
My take is that in terms of based units then it's a bit of a numbers game & NCL is on the way down. The op's where BRS based frames commenced operating through NCL on the STN was in my view a nail in the coffin & there is definitely a resignation amongst based crew that the NCL base is contracting and that it could close at some time soon:{
On a more positive note I do recall that the NCL offering does tend to be placed on the website later than others and I can only summise that this in itself is simply a case seeing what remains after their committed bases have all been sorted. The general trend in any event is further migration and development of their European bases with the ensuing pressure on NCL crews amongst others to operate such routes.

Blythy
18th May 2010, 00:24
I think NCL will see an upgrade definately on the EK route. it's just a matter of when not if. EK are a massively expansionist business, even with the crap dubai is going through, it's still got 140 aircraft on order with 50 options. The other big point to remember is the A332s are the oldest in the fleet with the oldest cabin interior, so they're likely to be the first to go (some of them are approaching 11 years old!)

The question is what to; my bet is the A350s will replace the A332s and the A340s in the fleet. And NCL will be upgraded to either a 772(poss LR) or 77W. If NCL gets the runway extension that was in the 2016 dreambook, then they probably will get the 772. If not I think EK will hold out for the A350.

Of course, in my mind, the goverment should be looking at things and saying heathrow is full, get a high speed railway network that covers the whole damn country (not just up to bloody leeds) And develop Newcastle as a northern hub (but that's just wishful thinking)

ash666
18th May 2010, 06:00
Especially as they have just become the major sponsor of Durham Cricket Club. Must be focused on the region.

skyman771
18th May 2010, 08:52
Blythy
There will be NO runway extension and the LR is not suitable!!