PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37]

LiamNCL
17th Jul 2017, 06:04
After having a quick look at days and times (note not actual ac on route just a mock up using 3 based ac shown in colour) the only day which throws up more than 3 ac is Saturday with 4 early morning departures?

http://i63.tinypic.com/o08apl.png

Reus is a Sunday not a Saturday

HH6702
18th Jul 2017, 06:12
** NEW **

Super breaks adds 1 off charter 3 nts to Iceland in January 2018

Beatts
18th Jul 2017, 11:32
Mistral Air to operate Seasonal charters to Salzburg apparently.

jensdad
18th Jul 2017, 13:51
Apologies for the spotterish question, but what was the B747 that departed in the small hours of this morning?

SWBKCB
18th Jul 2017, 14:55
I'd be more concerned by somebody describing reduced security levels as a more pleasant experience.

Mistral Air to operate Seasonal charters to Salzburg apparently.

When? is this next summer, they've been op to Salzburg this summer?

Apologies for the spotterish question, but what was the B747 that departed in the small hours of this morning?

Dubai Air Wing

NorthEasterner
18th Jul 2017, 16:13
Mistral Air have been operating the past few months for Thomson Lakes. Mistral Air have then been using leased aircraft over from Go2Sky to cover the Salzburg flight.
Neos Air have also been doing the Verona for Thomson also.

jensdad
18th Jul 2017, 18:33
Thanks for the info, SWB. Surprising how noisy those things sound at that time of night!

EK77WNCL
19th Jul 2017, 14:58
Brilliant to finally see Iceland on our departure boards, it's been a long time coming, hopefully it'll entice a scheduled operator somewhere along the line

SWBKCB
19th Jul 2017, 15:09
Just to be picky, Icelandair operated Christmas shopping charters in the early nineties (and earlier?). :ok:

EK77WNCL
19th Jul 2017, 15:13
I never knew that! Thank you for enlightening me. Was that us shopping there or them shopping here? The pull of the metrocentre?

Having looked at the trip on offer... It doesn't actually mention Reykjavik, I think it might actually be to Akureyri, which I do find rather odd indeed!

SWBKCB
19th Jul 2017, 15:18
Inbounds. Manx also did the same in the 90's and shopping trips also contributed to the long running Braathens flights.

LiamNCL
19th Jul 2017, 20:59
Iceland surely only a matter of time before someone launches a proper service there.

jensdad
19th Jul 2017, 21:13
Icelandair used to do regular-ish freight charters (Boeing 727s full of fish) for a spell in the 90s or maybe late 80s as well.

Beatts
19th Jul 2017, 21:20
Whos operating the route?

HH6702
19th Jul 2017, 23:02
Enter Air I believe are operating the 1 charter

jensdad
20th Jul 2017, 02:15
Iceland is fashionable at the moment. I know a load of people who have been there in the last two years or so, making use of the flights from Manchester, Edinburgh etc. That in itself could of course mean that the people in our neck of the woods who want to go there have already been, and I'm not sure it's the sort of place where people will make repeated visits. I went there 7 years ago and while the clientele might have changed now, the British tourists I spoke to in Reykjavik seemed to be - in their own words in some cases - 'ticking it off their list'. Once you got outside a 50-mile radius of Reykjavik ( I didn't get to Akureyri as I travelled up the West Coast) there were tourists from Italy, Germany, the USA, a load of French people for some reason, but I met no Brits at all except a bloke who had driven from Wales to Denmark and got the ferry! My feeling is that if we don't get a service there in the next year or so, it won't happen, and even then I suspect it will have a short shelf life. That said, it is a fantastic place. Very expensive though.
Sorry for the negativity btw!

tomdotcom
20th Jul 2017, 10:08
Glasgow has had daily flight to Iceland for years - very busy

jensdad
20th Jul 2017, 15:49
Hi Tom. Yes, back in the day I think Glasgow and Heathrow were the only UK airports with regular Iceland service. While I think long term the market will sustain more than that, I reckon the current flurry of routes will settle back to a lower level.

VentureGo
20th Jul 2017, 21:41
Certainly, I believe a NCL Iceland (KEF) could be successful as both a low volume tourist destination,but more so a great one stop USA link (with either stopover or transit) Transit link one stop would divide journey to USA 50/50 and could be very competitive on cost, as well as being more interesting and less tiring than via CDG, AMS, or LHR. Iceland is great for a one or two night stopover en-route, and if only once is off your must do "bucket list" - Must get down to Cafe Reykjavik in town, visit Videy Island (Evening Resaurant by boat), Blue lagoon (Swim & Cocktails)!! and if time allows Ski-mobile to glaciers and local farms!!

LiamNCL
21st Jul 2017, 05:45
Icelandair or WOW would offer that transatlantic link

NCL-TRC
21st Jul 2017, 12:09
If KEF was to happen from NCL there's really two possibilities, one is that EZY use one of the aircraft they have sitting around on certain days during the winter to start a seasonal flight to test the water, but I very much doubt they'd continue it into the summer when they can make more from the bucket and spade routes.
The second and what I think would be more viable option would be Icelandair or WOW, mainly because they can sell onward connections, I think the latter would probably be the better bet from NCL purely because of ticket price.
Not sure how much of a market there would be for cargo but I know EZY doesn't carry it and FI does, not sure about WOW.

EK77WNCL
21st Jul 2017, 22:17
I actually think our best chances for a KEF flight, lie in:

Thomson - winter seasonal
easyjet
Jet2 - if they were to start Iceland... Which I can see not too far off
Wow air
Icelandair (opb Air Iceland) - which I sincerely hope we DO NOT get

LiamNCL
22nd Jul 2017, 05:55
For anyone unaware Condor 767 D-ABUK currently on the ground at NCL. Diverted in from Greenland sqwaking 7700 where it had diverted to earlier aswell.

VentureGo
22nd Jul 2017, 11:04
For anyone unaware Condor 767 D-ABUK currently on the ground at NCL. Diverted in from Greenland sqwaking 7700 where it had diverted to earlier aswell.

Incident: Condor B763 near Sondrestrom on Jul 20th 2017, smoke in cabin (http://avherald.com/h?article=4abedcbe)

from the above article:
Incident: Condor B763 near Sondrestrom on Jul 20th 2017, smoke in cabin
Jul 21st 2017 19:54Z - A Condor Boeing 767-300, registration D-ABUK performing flight DE-2064 from Frankfurt/Main (Germany) to Las Vegas,NV (USA), was enroute at FL330 about 340nm north of Sondrestrom, Kangerlussuaq (Greenland) when the crew decided to divert to Sondrestrom due to smoke in the forward cabin. The aircraft descended to FL280 for the diversion and landed safely in Sondrestrom about one hour after leaving FL330.
- A replacement Boeing 767-300 registration D-ABUA was dispatched from Frankfurt to Sondrestrom, resumed the flight and delivered the passengers to Las Vegas with a delay of 16 hours.
- The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground in Sondrestrom about 28 hours after landing.

By Liam on Saturday, Jul 22nd 2017 06:06Z:
- On the ground at Newcastle now after sqwaking 7700 out over the north sea on its way back to Germany.

HH6702
22nd Jul 2017, 12:38
Same problem then ?

LiamNCL
22nd Jul 2017, 12:47
Take it there were no PAX on the aircraft ? Must of been urgent to divert to NCL and not MAN where TCX hangar is.

Beatts
22nd Jul 2017, 14:13
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but 2 new announcements re Jet2 at Newcastle next summer;

Antalya: Introduction of a second weekly flight every Monday in addition to bringing forward the start of the season to 29th March 2018 instead of late-April.

Dalaman: Season extended by one month with twice weekly flights (Mondays and Fridays) starting on 4th May 2018.

nclops
22nd Jul 2017, 15:56
Take it there were no PAX on the aircraft ? Must of been urgent to divert to NCL and not MAN where TCX hangar is.

From what I've heard the divert was due to smoke in the flight deck , so yes probably fairly urgent!

ash666
22nd Jul 2017, 16:10
A few years ago I had not long boarded a plane when smoke started filling the plane. I think I heard it was from the hydraulics but it was like mustard gas and I am b. pleased I wasn't at 30,000ft.

VentureGo
24th Jul 2017, 08:02
FR24 has Condor B763 D-ABUK which diverted in on Saturday leaving NCL for FRA today at 14:00 as Flight no. DE4800.

LiamNCL
24th Jul 2017, 13:56
D-ABUK still on the ground :E

SWBKCB
24th Jul 2017, 15:20
D-ABUK still on the ground

... at FRA! :ok:

Left NCL just before 15.00

LiamNCL
24th Jul 2017, 15:29
Just seen good to see the bird back up and running with some NCL TLC :ok:

VentureGo
26th Jul 2017, 09:09
Just seen good to see the bird back up and running with some NCL TLC :ok:
Looks like the bird is sick again - Departed Varadero yesterday evening for FRA, but didn't make Bahamas (33,000ft) before turning around to return to VRA 40mins later.https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/de2198/#e3b3d64

LiamNCL
26th Jul 2017, 15:50
Looks like the bird is sick again - Departed Varadero yesterday evening for FRA, but didn't make Bahamas (33,000ft) before turning around to return to VRA 40mins later.https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/de2198/#e3b3d64

Needs some downtime by the looks of it 3 Diverts in the space of a week is not good. D-ABUI has been on the ground for 17 days at MAN according to FR.

HH6702
27th Jul 2017, 09:54
Expect to see flights again for next summer 2018

MATELO
28th Jul 2017, 19:25
Jet2 to Prague today had a pressure problem. The media using the normal scare words to fill the headline banner.

Passengers in tears as Jet2 flight from Newcastle to Prague makes terrifying emergency landing - Chronicle Live (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/passengers-tears-jet2-flight-newcastle-13402194)

LiamNCL
28th Jul 2017, 22:50
Jet2 to Prague today had a pressure problem. The media using the normal scare words to fill the headline banner.

Passengers in tears as Jet2 flight from Newcastle to Prague makes terrifying emergency landing - Chronicle Live (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/passengers-tears-jet2-flight-newcastle-13402194)

Really bad PR for Jet2, 30 Year old aircraft losing cabin pressure twice in the space of a week will fuel these articles

skyman771
28th Jul 2017, 23:45
Really bad PR for Jet2, 30 Year old aircraft losing cabin pressure twice in the space of a week will fuel these articles

I really wonder just how many pax would actually be comfortable flying in a 30+ year old aircraft if they were aware of this.
To me it's all too easy to simply say " we have excellent inspection & maintenance programs". These guys are pushing the boundaries, when most of the 73's that came off the production line at around this time are long gone.:hmm:

ash666
29th Jul 2017, 05:14
I really wonder just how many pax would actually be comfortable flying in a 30+ year old aircraft if they were aware of this.
To me it's all too easy to simply say " we have excellent inspection & maintenance programs". These guys are pushing the boundaries, when most of the 73's that came off the production line at around this time are long gone.:hmm:

I agree.
I get my car serviced regularly but I wouldn't want to be driving a 30 year old one without breakdown cover which, of course, wouldn't be much help at 30,000ft.

chaps1954
29th Jul 2017, 05:32
I wonder who knows that Lufthansa, British Airways, KLM etc are using Airbuses and Boeing that are almost the same age

ash666
29th Jul 2017, 05:33
Can I get through security wearing water wings?

LiamNCL
29th Jul 2017, 06:08

I really hate mentioning aircraft age because problems can appear on any aircraft but they do themselves no favours you could pay around the same and end up on a 30YO Jet2 aircraft or book TOM or TCX and be on a modern model in some cases less than 5 year old. The days where aircraft age wasnt freely available to the public are now over and I think it's really poor from Jet2 to still think it's acceptable to fly people around on such old planes, that fleet renewal can't come off the production line soon enough.

chaps1954
29th Jul 2017, 06:16
But you can book a flight with Jet2 and get an aircraft less than 6 months old

SWBKCB
29th Jul 2017, 07:42
I wonder who knows that Lufthansa, British Airways, KLM etc are using Airbuses and Boeing that are almost the same age

But you can book a flight with Jet2 and get an aircraft less than 6 months old

Not out of Newcastle! :ok:

Johnny F@rt Pants
29th Jul 2017, 07:49
Not out of Newcastle!

We operate 800's from NCL so there's no reason why you couldn't be on a brand new one.

Johnny F@rt Pants
29th Jul 2017, 07:51
or book TOM or TCX and be on a modern model in some cases less than 5 year old.

Or alternatively you could be on one of their very old aeroplanes too, old aeroplanes that they run 24/7 rather than Jet2 ones that run about 16/7. I am personally very happy flying round in a 30year old Jet2 aeroplane. It's not about the age, it's about how many times it's been up and down.

SWBKCB
29th Jul 2017, 07:55
There have been none based this summer (might have been the odd stand in), the new a/c seem to be allocated to certain bases so the odds are slim (certainly compared to getting a less new 733). Been reported elsewhere this is due to the new a/c having different spares packs?

SWBKCB
29th Jul 2017, 08:15
Or alternatively you could be on one of their very old aeroplanes too, old aeroplanes that they run 24/7 rather than Jet2 ones that run about 16/7. I am personally very happy flying round in a 30year old Jet2 aeroplane. It's not about the age, it's about how many times it's been up and down.

What very old a/c are TOM or TCX basing out of NCL?

In the real world, if you book a bucket and spade flight out of NCL you are far more likely to get an older a/c if you book Jet2 than you are than with any of the competition.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss, but lets not twist facts.

skyman771
29th Jul 2017, 09:32
I think you are "trawling" a bit on this one & that almost is not the same as actual.
Quick look & the oldest LH "frame" I could find was an 89 A320, unsure as to what BA a/c you are referring & KL have the odd 89 747 that are due to be retired.
There is actually a bit of irony in this in any event as LH were the airline that actually supplied Jet2's 73's.
In addition it can not be underestimated the benefit of having a frame in fleet from initial delivery as with the the legacy airlines referred to above.
A further point to note is that agreed that the power plants are unlikely to be of the same age, they are potentially open to the greater availability (from source) of replacement parts from the growing market in second hand spare parts.
Anyhow what seems to be lost in all of this is that the post was not intended to be specifically against Jet2, but all operators of very old frames i.e.30+ years. It just so happens that Jet2 are well up there as regards this operation, particularly in the the North of England.
A more pertinent and perhaps relevant point is to look forward and not back & and ask oneself just how much longer are these aircraft intended to be in service? & if this is ascertainable, then just how many B733 frames have already reached this milestone.
It's not about the age, it's about how many times it's been up and down.

Agreed but who is to say that the 73's that Jet2 have in service have not in aggregate done as many cycles as any other?

LiamNCL
29th Jul 2017, 12:15
Some good points made and my post wasn't a dig at Jet2 i look at all NCL based operators in the same way just TUI and TCX at NCL right now base far newer aircraft that's a fact.

I have heard the new aircraft can't rotate bases due to spares being different from regular 738s, There was 2 new aircraft based here last winter I would expect new ones to be here this winter too.

Chesty Morgan
29th Jul 2017, 17:01

Was the component that failed 30+ years old?

EK77WNCL
29th Jul 2017, 22:10
I've driven a 13 year old VW polo since mid-December, I bought it with 56,500 miles and as of tonight I'm on 64,720 miles. Monday-Thursday it got 3 of us to Hull and back. The week before that it made it's second trip to Bristol (both of which from Newcastle)

She's sweet as a nut! Smooth as silk, like a gazelle when there's only me in it.

All I have to do is look after it, I try and fill up before the fuel light goes on, I keep the oil topped up as regularly as possible, and a few minor bits have been replaced because of wear and tear. I still get 40-45 mpg and I've never had any major problems.

My point is, yes it's an old car, but it really doesn't have very many miles on it and it is well looked after. Just like Jet2's aircraft. All airlines have to abide by the same laws and meet the same standards. Hence, I would have no problems getting on an aircraft 20, 30, 40 or more years of age.

That might just be me though, I have a sweet spot for older, more unique aircraft. I'd probably pick an LS 733/752 (or one of the first off the line, non wingletted 738's) over a TCX A321 or TOM 738 if I could.

Just an added note... Yes you might get a 30 year old 733 or 15 year old 738 if you fly LS from Newcastle. But if you fly TCX you could well get a 16 year old, Lithuanian A320... Just off lease to Cambodia. OR if you choose to fly TOM, you could well be landed with a 20 year old Slovak 737 400...

It's not just Jet2, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all

I mean... People pay hundreds of pounds for domestic flights with Eastern and could end up with a 20-25 year old jetstream!

GrahamK
30th Jul 2017, 07:26
June provisional stats:

Brussels +28%
Paris CDG +6%
Berlin 3244
Dusseldorf +26%
Dublin +30%
Amsterdam +6%
Madrid 3021
Gdansk 2966
Krakow +14%
Warsaw 2946
Wroclaw 2992
Dubai +3%

Heathrow: +2%
Belfast Int +10%
Bristol +13%
Exeter +7%
Southampton +24%

581k pax in June, +11%. 12 month rolling 5.09m +10%

SWBKCB
30th Jul 2017, 08:15
Just an added note... Yes you might get a 30 year old 733 or 15 year old 738 if you fly LS from Newcastle. But if you fly TCX you could well get a 16 year old, Lithuanian A320... Just off lease to Cambodia. OR if you choose to fly TOM, you could well be landed with a 20 year old Slovak 737 400...

Looking at yesterdays based units, the newest Jet2 a/c was built in 2003 (the oldest 1986).

With the exception of the leased in TCX 320 (2001 - still newer than 5 of the 7 Jet2 a/c), the oldest a/c op by TCX, TOM, EZY was built in 2007

Chesty Morgan
30th Jul 2017, 09:26
Does it really matter?

LiamNCL
30th Jul 2017, 09:27
Thomas Cook are upfront and clearly state before you pay if the flight you are booking is operated by Smartlynx/Avion Express.

SWBKCB
30th Jul 2017, 09:36
Thomas Cook aren't being upfront on their own accord, they are legally required to tell you.

Does it matter, not to me but lets at least be aware of the facts.

It's at least as relevant as stating that TCX use a Lithuanian A320... Just off lease to Cambodia or if you choose to fly TOM, you could well be landed with a 20 year old Slovak 737 400... :=

How is that relevant? After all...

All airlines have to abide by the same laws and meet the same standards.

Rich3
30th Jul 2017, 11:31
I've not got the time to confirm, however TCX is operating B767-300 that are at least 25 years old. Also, they have a number of early A330 that are more than 20 years old. TCX major maintenance is contracted out to a third party in the middle east. Jet2 care for all their own aircraft here in the UK.

Personally I have no issue, when it comes to the age of an aircraft, all are maintained to the same highest standard.

SWBKCB
30th Jul 2017, 11:41
I've not got the time to confirm, however TCX is operating B767-300 that are at least 25 years old. Also, they have a number of early A330 that are more than 20 years old. TCX major maintenance is contracted out to a third party in the middle east. Jet2 care for all their own aircraft here in the UK.

Not into NCL they don't (and this is the NCL thread).

Jet2 used to get maintenance on the 733's done in Romania - isn't this now the case?

Also, if "All airlines have to abide by the same laws and meet the same standards" why all the comments about maintenance being done in the Middle East, Lithuanian and Slovakian operators, etc - just plain old snobbery or an implication of lower standards? :suspect:

TSR2
30th Jul 2017, 11:54
just plain old snobbery or an implication of lower standards?

Perhaps lower costs.

LiamNCL
30th Jul 2017, 12:16
Yes TOM and TCX operate older models but not into NCL

BHX - Can often be found with at least 2 older TCX 321s & TOM 757s whereas all the based Jet2
aircraft are brand new.

It was never a dig at Jet2 as a company but into NCL they are the oldest by some distance and if you took a side by side comparison of 2 airlines from Newcastle to say PMI and told the customers the age of their Jet2 plane how many of them would get back off ? More than half I would say because the paying folk don't care about its gleaming 30 year old past its still very old for 2017. Now if you told the ones who would get off that their price was now half of what those paid flying that new TCX A321 how many of them would then reboard the 733? You see where I'm going with this the price charged vs equipment used.

Anyway this is all just point of views and opinions but let's keep it related to NCL

chaps1954
30th Jul 2017, 14:53
The B733 look very smart inside and are well maintained.
They may well be kept at NCL because the loads are not as high as at
some bases.

southside bobby
30th Jul 2017, 19:58
Gor blimey guvs give it all a rest.....this all reads as very very insular & particularly tedious...

Jamesair
30th Jul 2017, 20:48
Dublin up another 30% in June
Dusseldorf up + 26%....hopefully this route might get double daily hopefully sooner rather than later.

Good to see Brussels +28% Paris + 6% and Stavanger + 69% rising again.

toon22
30th Jul 2017, 20:54
Remember that the A319 vs CRJ900 is about a 40% increase in capacity so load factors have gone backwards. Don't expect a frequency increase any time soon. 13k on Bristol with the current schedule is IMHO excellent.

Jamesair
31st Jul 2017, 08:02
Point taken. I just feel that making a business day trip possible would give a further boost to traffic.

I hope they consider introducing Munich which is fast becoming a major hub with Lufthansa.

EK77WNCL
31st Jul 2017, 21:19
SWBKCB, I was simply trying to come to Jet2's defence, all airlines do have to meet required standards

I haven't got a problem either, and as I said, I'd rather be on the older aircraft, so it makes no odds to me at all

Jamesair
1st Aug 2017, 10:01
EASTERN

Sept and October will see Cardiff and 2 x Aberdeen services operated by a Backbone Aviation CRJ 200 operations revert to J41 equipment for the Winter.

ncl2011
1st Aug 2017, 20:20
SWBKCB, I was simply trying to come to Jet2's defence, all airlines do have to meet required standards

I haven't got a problem either, and as I said, I'd rather be on the older aircraft, so it makes no odds to me at all

For as much as those 'in the know' may question an aircraft's age/potential air worthiness the majority of the paying public imo don't care as long as its on time and clean!

Rich3
1st Aug 2017, 20:25
Are older planes less reliable ? and which airline has the most elderly fleet? (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/are-older-planes-less-reliable-and-which-airline-has-the-oldest-fleet/)

Shame on you....the BBC!! Don't expect the BBC to correct their wrong doing!

ATNotts
2nd Aug 2017, 12:09
For as much as those 'in the know' may question an aircraft's age/potential air worthiness the majority of the paying public imo don't care as long as its on time and clean!

You're absolutely right, though back in the day, when you booked a package holiday even with the majors you often had no idea with whom you would fly. The small print in the back of the brochure often offered a long list of possible carriers, and in some cases the carriers didn't even exist - gone bust or whatever!

As far as "how old is my aircraft" is concerned, I expect a few more keyboard warriors will be googling the age of their particular chariot whist sitting in the gate lounge, and if it turns out to be elderly, tweeting furiously about any delays they believe they have sustained as a consequence. The Mail and others will then pick up on these tweets and make up stories that fit their narrative. That could make life uncomfortable for the likes of Jet2 - and indeed BA.

southside bobby
2nd Aug 2017, 12:47
Perhaps all you guys exchanging about aircraft age here would like to organize a specific thread.....it has no more to do with NCL than any other airport frankly & yawnnnnnnn then I & perhaps others could avoid the rabbit......

Stick Flying
8th Aug 2017, 06:33
Why did you edit your previous post about it being a decompression LiamNCL?
You could have made an excellent reporter at the trashy tabloids with scurrilous assumptions like that.

LiamNCL
8th Aug 2017, 06:45
Why did you edit your previous post about it being a decompression LiamNCL?
You could have made an excellent reporter at the trashy tabloids with scurrilous assumptions like that.

I said "looks like" "some sort".I'm happy to accept I shouldn't of jumped the gun so deleted it my mistake it was weather related at FNC.

Stick Flying
8th Aug 2017, 06:50
Trouble is it doessnt have the hallmark of a decompression at all. I'd suggest you be very careful making gross assumptions. Unfortunately being a keyboard aviator won't offer you protection from possible libel. Get facts before fiction.

GAXLN
8th Aug 2017, 07:06
Jet2 G-JZHE NCL-FNC Descended to FL150 north of Portugal and carried on all the way to Faro earlier where its still on the ground.

Funchal weather looks to be the issue. There is a BA flight which left Gatwick on Sunday and which then returned to Gatwick due weather. It has still to depart from Gatwick and currently has, even now, no confirmed time of departure.

Falcon900LX
9th Aug 2017, 01:24
This is supposed to be the last summer of operation for the Jet 2 733s out of NCL or so I've heard, whether or not that is the case is another story. Arguing over whether it's too old is absolutely ludicrous, and while I've seen the tech logs for some of the older based jet 2 A/C they might be quite full but what else would you expect for a 30 year old aircraft, nevertheless still perfectly airworthy.

The trouble is Jet2 can't get their new aircraft quick enough and they're not the only ones with tech issues. Every time I do a nightshift an A/C comes back with some sort of issue. They're not built to last forever and everything has a shelf life.

The based LY-VEN has an imaculate cockpit and the cabin is in good condition too. I do believe this aircraft had a D check not too long ago though.

I'd bet some daily mail or reporter from another rag trolls through these forums looking for info on this sort of stuff. They might just take the tosh and believe whatever bull some are coming out with. Please be careful what you say.

TSR2
9th Aug 2017, 10:11
As far as "how old is my aircraft" is concerned

Good job some people don't fly with BUFFALO AIRWAYS then.

Beatts
9th Aug 2017, 22:28
Freebird showing as operating a Dalaman route.

LiamNCL
11th Aug 2017, 05:17
Jet2 showing 5x 738 departures is this due to School Holidays ?

HH6702
11th Aug 2017, 10:06
Has one of the 300's changed to 800 ?

deltahotel9
11th Aug 2017, 11:25
Not sure which ones you are looking at but the 10:30 Alicante is on the Alicante based 738 which was upgraded from 733 earlier this season.

LiamNCL
11th Aug 2017, 13:55
PMI, MAH, AGP, IBZ & GRO all departed on a based 737-800 this morning.

TFS, ACE, DLM, HER & PMI this afternoon are also 737-800.

irishlad06
11th Aug 2017, 15:54
The GRO was upgraded to the B738 standby aircraft as FE was tech, the afternoon PMI is now back of FE and FJ has been returned to MAN.

LiamNCL
11th Aug 2017, 19:36
Thanks for the info seems it's still 4x 738

EK77WNCL
17th Aug 2017, 21:55
I was very pleased to see the airport absolutely jam packed on Tuesday. Having to wait 30+ minutes in the check in queue for Emirates (we were airport check in - and thank God! - the "online checked in" queue stretched back to the door!) was rather frustrating, but security was efficient despite the number of passengers (can't have been much over 5 minutes to get through, 10 at the absolute most).

Departure lounge was very busy, not quite uncomfortably so, but I imagine that the morning rush in July-August can't be very nice! If this growth continues, we're going to need that extension before too long!

I gave them 8/10 overall, because it was still very convenient and against all odds we did end up finding seats in the pub before we left.

The best news though, disembarking in Dubai I asked the purser what the load was (not that I needed confirmation) and there were only 3 empty seats outbound on Tuesday, very impressed! (2 class 77W, 425/428, 99.3%LF)

milhouse999
18th Aug 2017, 22:56
I was very pleased to see the airport absolutely jam packed on Tuesday. Having to wait 30+ minutes in the check in queue for Emirates (we were airport check in - and thank God! - the "online checked in" queue stretched back to the door!) was rather frustrating, but security was efficient despite the number of passengers (can't have been much over 5 minutes to get through, 10 at the absolute most).

Departure lounge was very busy, not quite uncomfortably so, but I imagine that the morning rush in July-August can't be very nice! If this growth continues, we're going to need that extension before too long!

I gave them 8/10 overall, because it was still very convenient and against all odds we did end up finding seats in the pub before we left.

The best news though, disembarking in Dubai I asked the purser what the load was (not that I needed confirmation) and there were only 3 empty seats outbound on Tuesday, very impressed! (2 class 77W, 425/428, 99.3%LF)

That's why I love doing NCL-DXB in May, 30% load, if that, whole row to yourself!

VentureGo
19th Aug 2017, 09:18
LY-VEN for TCX has gone tech in Bourgas, (provisionally delayed by approx. 24 hours ) As a result NCL-FUE due to have departed at 7am has an indefinite delay showing on Newcastle's departure board with "next info at 12noon"
LY-VEN seems to have had a high number of tech incidents this season.

SWBKCB
19th Aug 2017, 09:22
LY-VEN seems to have had a high number of tech incidents this season.

Does it? How many and how does this compare to the rest of the TCX fleet?

Beatts
19th Aug 2017, 09:58
VEN has been fairly good compared to last year. Not remember the A330 and I think if im right 744 charters because it went tech so much last year? If I also remember correctly it needed a full engine replacement at one point.

LiamNCL
19th Aug 2017, 10:10
VEN has been fairly good compared to last year. Not remember the A330 and I think if im right 744 charters because it went tech so much last year? If I also remember correctly it needed a full engine replacement at one point.

It was LY-VEK that needed the engine replacement a few year ago & if i remember rightly it had a few stand ins last year even a hifly A340.I flew on LY-VEN this summer and it's a fairly clean machine but these leased aircraft for some reason have a tendency to go tech way more than the main fleet. Talk on the Thomas Cook forum is that BFS/EMA/STN will be operated by lease aircraft next year aswell as x6 A321 transferring from Condor so interesting to see if we will be a full mainline TCX base next season.

milhouse999
19th Aug 2017, 11:02
Info on the Thomas Cook website is that due to LY-VEN going tech the NCL-FUE flight will now be delated 24 hours, and is being operated by G-TCDA (A321) tomorrow.

LiamNCL
19th Aug 2017, 11:14
Just seen that it's due to go 8:30 tomorrow morning. Really poor that nothing else could of been sourced to operate it today.

mmeteesside
19th Aug 2017, 11:18
Just seen that it's due to go 8:30 tomorrow morning. Really poor that nothing else could of been sourced to operate it today.

On a Saturday right in the peak of European summer?!

LiamNCL
19th Aug 2017, 11:55
On a Saturday right in the peak of European summer?!

Granted it's very busy but VEN went tech in the early hours it just looks bad on TCX.

Who covers the compensation ? Thomas cook or will Avion get the bill.

milhouse999
19th Aug 2017, 12:49
Granted it's very busy but VEN went tech in the early hours it just looks bad on TCX.

Who covers the compensation ? Thomas cook or will Avion get the bill.

I flew on LY-VEN last Thursday morning for NCL-PMI, we only went for 3 days, I'd be rather miffed if our departure had been delayed by 24hrs!

TCX should have been able to source capacity from somewhere - it seems to show that if any AC goes unop they don't actually have any replacements.

SWBKCB
19th Aug 2017, 13:26
Seems to be an effect of the compensation rules that airlines are more prepared to have a large delay on one flight rather than shuffle things around and have knock on delays for several flights.

And a spare a/c sat around in case of delays on an August Saturday - seriously? :rolleyes:

milhouse999
19th Aug 2017, 16:27
And a spare a/c sat around in case of delays on an August Saturday - seriously? :rolleyes:

The ability to lease one from elsewhere, contingency planning? God forbid we expect a multi million pound company to be able to cope so as not to ruin paying customer's holidays :ok: Having absolutely NO extra capacity in case of an aicraft going completely unoperable......

Heathrow Harry
19th Aug 2017, 17:36
you want low fares... that's what you get

19th Aug 2017, 18:12
I'm certain that nobody here, if the bean counter for a charter airline, would seriously let there be spare capacity on a Saturday in August. Accountants might seem like mild-mannered people, but I'm sure they'd have something colourful to say about the very suggestion!!!

I'm sure they've planned in spare capacity during the week, that can pick up the effects of any particularly awful messes that might have happened at the weekend.

LiamNCL
19th Aug 2017, 21:54
VEN on its way back from BOJ now so normal service should be resumed tomorrow along with today's cancelled FUE :ok:

mmeteesside
19th Aug 2017, 21:58
I've seen mentioned elsewhere they also had a 757 sat in Egypt too so trying to solve 2 jobs in one go at the peakiest of peak times.

NorthEasterner
19th Aug 2017, 22:09
Thomas Cook is a low cost scheduled airline, no longer a charter airline. VEN will be subject to further checks by MT/TCX based engineers at NCL once back from BOJ - before doing the FUE. PAX would've been provided overnight accommodation (providing they can prove they have no other means of accommodation here at NCL or in FUE).

canberra97
19th Aug 2017, 22:25
Thomas Cook Airlines is still very much a charter airline predominantly flying passengers affiliated with Thomas Cook Holidays and is no way a full low cost airline in the same way as EasyJet or Ryanair 'giving two examples' regardless of their recent expansion of scheduled long haul transatlantic flying from Manchester there still very much a holiday airline in a similar way to TUI (Thomson) offering a full package holiday like a lot of tour companies did in the past. Thomas Cook Holidays and TUI(Thomson) are the only true remaining package holiday companies left in the United Kingdom.

In comparison Jet2 holidays are based around their low cost airline Jet2 where as Thomas Cook Airways have always been based around Thomas Cook Holidays even if they do hire third party airlines, this format hasn't changed regardless of scheduled long haul flying.

What came first the airline or the holiday company? :-)

irishlad06
20th Aug 2017, 03:33
To have such a large fleet and not one aircraft on "standby"
Is setting yourself up for EU261 compensation however it is due to this mentality that airlines will delay 1 flight by 24 hours rather than delay 4 or 5 flights by 4,5 and 6 hours to recover the program.

In comparison Jet2 try to always have a minimum of 4 to 5 aircraft on standby fully crewed ready to launch at most times of the day, they even have one strategically placed in ALC most of the year to bring delays under the 3 hours, the others are in LBA and MAN their two biggest bases however I don't see why there couldn't be a 321 on standby on MAN or even have it where it does no flight during the day but does an overnight flight that way it will give some slack in the program to recover.

Cirrussy
20th Aug 2017, 06:32
4-5 aircraft on standby, fully crewed and ready to go!! Pass me an iron, I'm creased!!

Heathrow Harry
20th Aug 2017, 08:32
all sitting outside in big sheepskin jackets in broken down armchairs, smoking pipes underneath the Tannoy speaker I expect....................

NorthEasterner
20th Aug 2017, 17:58
... you will find Thomas Cook is a scheduled airline and no longer a charter airline. Regardless if they have a holiday company or not. Albeit not a low cost airline but they do have low cost format such as BoB, pay for baggage etc. As well as cheap ticket prices.

The company I work for acknowledges that scheduled airlines use 2 letter airline codes in public areas and documents and 3 letter airline codes for charters (exception of EasyJet). So for example, MT, FR, BA, LS and KL are used for their respective airlines which refer to them as scheduled. Then you have TOM, AEA and FHY which are charter airlines. There are no other charter airlines at NCL except Thomson, Air Europa and Freebird.

GrahamK
20th Aug 2017, 18:02
... you will find Thomas Cook is a scheduled airline and no longer a charter airline. Regardless if they have a holiday company or not. Albeit not a low cost airline but they do have low cost format such as BoB, pay for baggage etc. As well as cheap ticket prices.

The company I work for acknowledges that scheduled airlines use 2 letter airline codes in public areas and documents and 3 letter airline codes for charters (exception of EasyJet). So for example, MT, FR, BA, LS and KL are used for their respective airlines which refer to them as scheduled. Then you have TOM, AEA and FHY which are charter airlines. There are no other charter airlines at NCL except Thomson, Air Europa and Freebird.
What about TCX?

canberra97
20th Aug 2017, 19:39
NorthEasterner

The Thomas Cook Airlines flying program is geared totally towards their parent company Thomas Cook Holidays in the same way as TUI and Thomson Holidays and are both charter airlines, Thomas Cook Holidays arrange the accommodation and their in house airline Thomas Cook Airlines provides the flights (even if it's third party flying). This is classic inclusive tours as the full holiday package with accommodation and charter flights.

Several scheduled airlines including EasyJet and Ryanair provide accommodation but it's generally booked separately via a hotel booking engine and not an inclusive tour package as you would get with Thomas Cook Holidays.

The way that Thomas Cook Airlines works is to take passengers booked on package Holidays to their destinations which may vary every year.

Although Thomas Cook Airlines have opened up a base at Manchester serving transatlantic destinations these may be scheduled in a similar way to Condor operation in Germany but at the end of the day beside the fact that they fly to the likes of Boston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, etc from Manchester on a scheduled basis they are still very much a charter airline.

ash666
21st Aug 2017, 11:43
Does the AF Embraer 190 allow wheeled hand luggage or does it get taken off you at the steps?
Ta.

NCL-TRC
21st Aug 2017, 13:19
Does the AF Embraer 190 allow wheeled hand luggage or does it get taken off you at the steps?
Ta.

No, I believe it can be taken onboard, the whole delivery at aircraft baggage thing should stop when the Cityjet RJs do.

ash666
21st Aug 2017, 13:22
Thanks.

Not sure if I will be using AF or not for a long haul flight but, much to my surprise, they are a fair bit cheaper than KLM for the dates I want.

NorthEasterner
21st Aug 2017, 13:56
I'm talking about customer facing - TCX is no longer used on FIDS, customer paperwork or operations paperwork and is always MT. NCL recognises that Thomas Cook Airlines is a scheduled airline. But I agree, many pax are usually Thomas Cook holiday customers, similar to Jet2/LS.

Regarding cabin baggage on E190's - yes it will be permitted on board due to larger overhead lockers - the same as KL's E170/90's.

ash666
21st Aug 2017, 20:28
Anyone know if the late morning AF1059 is usually reliable with timings?

It's years since I transited via CDG and there have ben a lot of changes since then.
It lands at terminal 2E and I had to get a little train to the departure but I'm wondering now if 2hrs 15mins is safely enough.

7hrs is too long at the airport and KLM a lot more expensive.

canberra97
21st Aug 2017, 20:35
NorthEastner

I think your really confused when it comes to the status of TCX Thomas Cook Airlines! Newcastle may or may not recognise it as a scheduled airline but I can assure you that other than the transatlantic operation out of Manchester it is very much a charter airline, you can't even book any of their charter flights through a GDS other than seat only on the Thomas Cook Holidays website. Jet2 is completely different the majority of people use their website to book seats on their scheduled flights as is the case with EasyJet and Ryanair the holiday part of it is just an additional source of revenue for those airlines and a very profitable one but in the case of Jet2 they very much promote the Jet2Holidays part of their operation based around their scheduled flights where as Thomas Cook Holidays base their package holiday program around their charter flight operation the same way as TUI Thomson do.

LAX_LHR
21st Aug 2017, 20:50
I think your really confused when it comes to the status of TCX Thomas Cook Airlines! Newcastle may or may not recognise it as a scheduled airline but I can assure you that other than the transatlantic operation out of Manchester it is very much a charter airline, you can't even book any of their charter flights through a GDS other than seat only on the Thomas Cook Holidays website.

I have no issue booking any Thomas Cook flights through 3rd party websites, Google flights, they appear in GDS and so on.....

canberra97
21st Aug 2017, 20:58
You are correct regarding google flights although personally I never use that engine so I wasn't aware that Thomas Cook Airlines 'charter' flights were available to book that way, regardless of that my point still remains regarding it's status.

NCL-TRC
21st Aug 2017, 21:29
Anyone know if the late morning AF1059 is usually reliable with timings?

It's years since I transited via CDG and there have ben a lot of changes since then.
It lands at terminal 2E and I had to get a little train to the departure but I'm wondering now if 2hrs 15mins is safely enough.

7hrs is too long at the airport and KLM a lot more expensive.

Usually, but I'm not sure what the dispatch reliability of Hop! is like, there hasn't been enough in to get a good picture. Also it may say 2E but most of the AF regional stuff parks at 2G which is a good 10 minute bus ride from disembarking to dropping off at arrivals at the best of times.

ash666
21st Aug 2017, 21:31
Ok, thanks for the info.

LiamNCL
22nd Aug 2017, 16:25
Resumes May 2018 with TCX
x1 Weekly

Flights on a Tuesday with a 6:20am Departure but a 23:35pm arrival which suggest one of our based aircraft will be providing a W-pattern.

HH6702
22nd Aug 2017, 21:28
Does 1 of our aircraft have time to do that (3x based aircraft)

LiamNCL
22nd Aug 2017, 22:00
Does 1 of our aircraft have time to do that (3x based aircraft)

Yes on a Tuesday

Typical Tuesday S18

NCL-HER-NCL-DLM-NCL
NCL-PMI-NCL-TFS-NCL
NCL-NBE-BHX-NBE-NCL

Reductions in REU PMI MAH ACE
Increases in DLM AYT CFU & ZTH
Added NBE
Dropped LEI PFO

& Due to BFS STN EMA proposed switch to 3rd party aircraft it could well be x3 A321

HH6702
22nd Aug 2017, 23:28
Thanks for that update Liam

Jamesair
23rd Aug 2017, 08:39
Airport stats are on the website. Total pax in July is 618,365 which I think may be the highest monthly figure ever for the airport.

VentureGo
23rd Aug 2017, 09:07
Airport stats are on the website. Total pax in July is 618,365 which I think may be the highest monthly figure ever for the airport.

Not quite: July 2007 Total Passengers was 633,253
and August 2007 was higher at 637,600. (Newcastle Airport website/statistics)

https://www.newcastleairport.com/passengerstatistics

2007 was the busiest year at the airport in terms of total passengers with 5,650,716 for the whole year (wiki)

Quite interesting to see the breakdown comparisons of Scheduled, Inclusive Tours, Domestic, International, Freight,Mail etc... - Huge changes in behaviors.(use
https://www.newcastleairport.com/passengerstatistics) (https://www.newcastleairport.com/passengerstatistics)

This year to date shows a 12% increase in passenger numbers, therefore if maintained to end of year would estimate an Annual total of 5.44m compared to last year's total of 4.86m. (If from now until year end we matched 2016 month totals - the total for this year would be 5.18m -although not likely)

Beatts
23rd Aug 2017, 10:36
No surprise on the mail/freight figures since the nightly flights stopped.

Jamesair
23rd Aug 2017, 12:01
However, the nightly FEDEX flights to/from Paris are still running.....how are they classified?

HH6702
23rd Aug 2017, 12:11
So hopefully next year 2018 will be year we are back on track to 2007 levels before excel went bust and all the major merges took place.

By 2019/20 we should be highest pax figures for every month

What's the pax numbers by route.
I expect Ryanair has helped

Those Polish and Madrid routes doing ok

Falcon900LX
23rd Aug 2017, 22:30
Most if not all RYR loads out of NCL are fantastic. I'd be surprised if they don't add in another route next year.

Aer Lingus DUB is ok too although there's talk of reducing frequency.

GrahamK
24th Aug 2017, 06:20
Most if not all RYR loads out of NCL are fantastic. I'd be surprised if they don't add in another route next year.

Aer Lingus DUB is ok too although there's talk of reducing frequency.

Not just talk, reducing from 16 x weekly to 7 x weekly. BA losing too many connecting pax via LHR? A/c availability or just poor loads/yields?

HH6702
24th Aug 2017, 09:40
JET2 creating an extra 130 jobs at newcastle.
Are they short of crew or a extra aircraft next summer

NCL-TRC
24th Aug 2017, 11:00
I'm told that SAS are withdrawing, booking search suggests last flight is the 27th October

HH6702
24th Aug 2017, 12:33
Not surprised about SAS. Times are no good.
If they went 2x daily early morning and evening flight it may have had a chance..

Well maybe that DY in as the airport wouldn't let DY in on CPH due to upsetting SAS
If not Ryanair and easyJet

inOban
24th Aug 2017, 12:42
JET2 creating an extra 130 jobs at newcastle.
Are they short of crew or a extra aircraft next summer

Are they additional posts, or are some replacing natural turnover? The Jet2 post just says that they are recruiting 1700. Doesn't say additional, although some will be, with more 800s, and growth at their southern bases in particular.

SWBKCB
24th Aug 2017, 15:10
How many times has CPH started and stopped over the past 20 years?

Jamesair
24th Aug 2017, 15:59
very sorry to hear that, could be another route for BMI or Flybe but, as mentioned would probably best work with double daily.

NCL-TRC
24th Aug 2017, 19:51
I think CPH would sit well with BMI and a SK codeshare, but it'd probably mean BMI basing another aircraft and more crew here which they don't seem to have spare. Shame though as another Embraer could open up other new routes FRA etc

jensdad
24th Aug 2017, 21:46
FRA and (as of October) CPH are glaring omissions in NCL's route network. Would the same airline start both in one go, though, considering that both routes would essentially be competing with each other for connectivity?

jensdad
24th Aug 2017, 21:47
Assuming they codeshare with SK and LH obviously!

Jamesair
24th Aug 2017, 21:56
The reason I included Flybe was because of its ownership of Cimber, which once operated the route and their current operating links to SAS.

Some of the previous operators on the route are Hunting Clan, Brymon Airways, Debonair, SAS which steamed in with a 3 x daily operation, Easyjet, Cimber and SAS again. I can't think of any others.

jensdad
25th Aug 2017, 00:27
Also, Air UK operated the route back in the 80s with an F27. Not sure how long it lasted though.

nclops
25th Aug 2017, 02:39
The reason I included Flybe was because of its ownership of Cimber, which once operated the route and their current operating links to SAS.

Some of the previous operators on the route are Hunting Clan, Brymon Airways, Debonair, SAS which steamed in with a 3 x daily operation, Easyjet, Cimber and SAS again. I can't think of any others.

Was it not Cityjet that took ownership of Cimber, not Flybe?!

10 DME ARC
25th Aug 2017, 07:12
Adding to the list of airlines who used to do CPH Bcal with BAC 111's routing EDI-NCL-CPH on the ground around the same time as their GLA-NCL-AMS! :-)

Jamesair
25th Aug 2017, 09:05
nclops......sorry, you are absolutely correct.

EK77WNCL
25th Aug 2017, 10:35
A shame, but not a surprise, about SAS. Definitely hoping someone steps in and takes up the route, be it easyjet, ryanair, Norwegian or BMI/SAS...

I doubt Cityjet would take it on because all of their aircraft are wet leased to SAS, so that would mean SAS were dropping the route.... Then re-starting with the same aircraft later on. Not impossible but unlikely

SWBKCB
25th Aug 2017, 14:16
I doubt Cityjet would take it on because all of their aircraft are wet leased to SAS

The CRJ's are contracted to SAS so unlikely they could by used. CityJet still operate the SSJ and RJ in their own right and for AF, SN etc

ash666
26th Aug 2017, 13:49
Silly question of the day.

It's so long since I last did a domestic flight I can't remember if NCL still has a separate domestic carousel/exit.

I suspect it disappeared years ago.
So presumably even domestic travellers have to come back through passport control/immigration at NCL?

The bigger question is if a non EU person flies into LHR (BA :( ) then straight up to NCL where will they clear immigration?
Presumably they will be in transit at LHR.

GAXLN
26th Aug 2017, 13:59
Silly question of the day.

It's so long since I last did a domestic flight I can't remember if NCL still has a separate domestic carousel/exit.

I suspect it disappeared years ago.
So presumably even domestic travellers have to come back through passport control/immigration at NCL?

The bigger question is if a non EU person flies into LHR (BA :( ) then straight up to NCL where will they clear immigration?
Presumably they will be in transit at LHR.

ASH666 There is a separate domestic arrivals channel at NCL as there has to be as Border Agency do not perform immigration controls on passengers flying domestic routes. In the case of a connection through LHR then immigration is undertaken at LHR. Formal Customs clearance is at Newcastle once bags have been collected as at LHR you remain airside unless you choose to do otherwise. I hope this addresses your question.

ash666
26th Aug 2017, 14:11
ASH666 There is a separate domestic arrivals channel at NCL as there has to be as Border Agency do not perform immigration controls on passengers flying domestic routes. In the case of a connection through LHR then immigration is undertaken at LHR. Formal Customs clearance is at Newcastle once bags have been collected as at LHR you remain airside unless you choose to do otherwise. I hope this addresses your question.

Great, thanks :D

AerRyan
26th Aug 2017, 15:05
Plus Irish routes arrive there too!

ash666
26th Aug 2017, 15:16

Quite!
I did Dublin a couple of years ago and can't remember getting out of NCL, and nothing to do with Guinness!

I do remember the awful Stobart return flight with overhead lockers that would struggle to hold a matchbox.

tigertanaka
26th Aug 2017, 17:37

When did it change? The last time I arrived at NCL from DUB we walked into the terminal at the international side but bypassed the UK border control and went straight into the luggage collection area.

AerRyan
26th Aug 2017, 17:50
Every time I've landed over the past few years I arrive in the domestic area, near the metro station.

All flights depart and arrive into the domestic gates, so maybe there was a shortage of them someday?

NorthEasterner
27th Aug 2017, 18:58
All Irish routes including Northern and Republic of Ireland arrive via Domestic channels as would a normal UK domestic flight would do. This is due to the CTA agreement in place.

Jersey arrives via international arrivals but bypassing border control, as passengers must clear customs.

and of course all other international flights such as from continental EU, USA, Middle East arrive through standard international arrivals, going through immigration/border control and customs.

Regarding CPH - If another airline were to set up for the route, it would be hard for Ryanair or FlyBe to do so since both airports are not Ryanair or FlyBe bases, unless an FR aircraft goes on W pattern from either NCL or CPH. easyJet could easily go on as could BMI (if SVG is dropped or base another A/C).

Jamesair
28th Aug 2017, 08:40
Traffic seems to be improving steadily on the BMI Stavanger route and it has always been assumed it might be extended to Bergen so not sure if they would close it and take on Copenhagen. However, they do seem a logical choice to operate the route.

LiamNCL
28th Aug 2017, 18:18
Yes on a Tuesday

Typical Tuesday S18

NCL-HER-NCL-DLM-NCL
NCL-PMI-NCL-TFS-NCL
NCL-NBE-BHX-NBE-NCL

Reductions in REU PMI MAH ACE
Increases in DLM AYT CFU & ZTH
Added NBE
Dropped LEI PFO

& Due to BFS STN EMA proposed switch to 3rd party aircraft it could well be x3 A321

3rd ZTH now dropped for S18 so it remains x2 Weekly

Jamesair
31st Aug 2017, 16:55
Isle of Man will no longer be served from 1st Sept, once the new Eastern NCL - Belfast City route begins.

jensdad
31st Aug 2017, 17:35
I've just done a dummy booking for October and there's one flight number all the way through and a half hour stop in Belfast, so it looks like it's just a change of routing (intermediate stop at Belfast rather than on the island). Flights only operate 4 or 5 days a week though. I'd rather be able to get there direct but one way fares still start at £56 so not too much of a disaster.

nclops
31st Aug 2017, 20:51
Isle of Man will no longer be served from 1st Sept, once the new Eastern NCL - Belfast City route begins.
As jensdad points out above IOM will still be served, they have just changed the routing from NCL-IOM-BHD-IOM-NCL to NCL-BHD-IOM-BHD-NCL

Beatts
31st Aug 2017, 21:18
Interesting to see we now have an Etihad SAAB-2000 based plane until October operating for eastern.

Beatts
1st Sep 2017, 20:54
Not sure if it was already mentioned but Jet2 doing Sofia run from 18th December till 1st April - every Saturday.

NorthEasterner
1st Sep 2017, 23:44
Saab 2000 is is a mixture of Flybe and Etihad crew. No Eastern crew unless that changes.
Etihad here to stay until end of October.

Eastern is now linked with Flybe, so under the franchise scheme. Flight numbers will now be BE I believe but no rebranding.

NorthEasterner
1st Sep 2017, 23:45
Not sure if it was already mentioned but Jet2 doing Sofia run from 18th December till 1st April - every Saturday.

Will be skiing charters like Turin, Geneva, Innsbruck and Salzburg with TUI.

SWBKCB
2nd Sep 2017, 05:35
Eastern is now linked with Flybe, so under the franchise scheme. Flight numbers will now be BE I believe but no rebranding.

Not sure if your referring just to the Swiss Saab when you say there will be no rebranding, but there will be for at least some of the main fleet - see this link from the Eastern thread (for those of a nervous disposition, look away now - it's hideous)

http://skyliner-aviation.de/viewphot...v2&picid=10024

Jamesair
2nd Sep 2017, 08:35
Jet 2 operate the Sofia charters on behalf of Balkan Holidays

NorthEasterner
2nd Sep 2017, 14:45
Not sure if your referring just to the Swiss Saab when you say there will be no rebranding, but there will be for at least some of the main fleet - see this link from the Eastern thread (for those of a nervous disposition, look away now - it's hideous)

http://skyliner-aviation.de/viewphot...v2&picid=10024

The link doesn't work.

No - I was referring to the main fleet. To what I've heard from various crew of T3, only around 4-5 Eastern aircraft will be rebranded as Flybe for the Scottish routes.

However the venture / franchise is so confusing that it is difficult for some to keep up with, including myself, various crew and no doubt other departments.

Marra123
4th Sep 2017, 13:29
Has the 10 year anniversary of the Emirates service passed by without any mention?

Sure it was 01/09/2007 when the route started but never heard anything said about it.

brian_dromey
4th Sep 2017, 13:39
The "Etihad" S2000 even more confusing than it appears. The operating airline is Darwin Airline. Etihad has now sold its interest in the airline to Adria, so the airline is to be renamed Adria Airways Switzerland.
I think its an Eastern Airways service, codeshare with flyBe, operated by Darwin Airline in Ethiad colours. But it could be a flyBe device operated by Darwin Airline in Etihad colours, on behalf of Eastern.

tigertanaka
4th Sep 2017, 15:37
Has the 10 year anniversary of the Emirates service passed by without any mention?

Sure it was 01/09/2007 when the route started but never heard anything said about it.

I saw something as part of an email from Newcastle Airport

Celebrating 10 years flying to Dubai
We're celebrating 10 years of the daily Emirates service to Dubai this month.

Since launch, over 1.8 million passengers have travelled to and from Dubai on the service, a great asset to the North East region.

That was it.

milhouse999
4th Sep 2017, 16:00
Thomas Cook NCL-CFU was operated by G-TCDH today but then did CFU-BRS, whilst the BRS-CFU flight operated by G-TCDN that landed at the same time did CFU back to NCL. The crew swapped AC on the tarmac in CFU, we were on the CFU-NCL flight.

Why would they swap over aircraft in CFU? Both identical new A321s!

LiamNCL
4th Sep 2017, 16:20
Thomas Cook NCL-CFU was operated by G-TCDH today but then did CFU-BRS, whilst the BRS-CFU flight operated by G-TCDN that landed at the same time did CFU back to NCL. The crew swapped AC on the tarmac in CFU, we were on the CFU-NCL flight.

Why would they swap over aircraft in CFU? Both identical new A321s!

Happens often by all airlines you very rarely get the same aircraft stuck at one base all summer. G-EZRE did NCL-PMI yesterday then PMI-MAN whilst G-EZPY did PMI-NCL resulting in over an hour delay.

milhouse999
4th Sep 2017, 16:22
Happens often by all airlines you very rarely get the same aircraft stuck at one base all summer. G-EZRE did NCL-PMI yesterday then PMI-MAN whilst G-EZPY did PMI-NCL resulting in over an hour delay.

Cheers ! :ok:

Just seemed odd as both AC had been based at NCL and BRS for some time. I was worried the ground handlers had put the wrong pax on the wrong AC for a moment as the only 2 AC on the ground at CFU were identical TCXs :)

LiamNCL
4th Sep 2017, 16:23
Cheers ! :ok:

Just seemed odd as both AC had been based at NCL and BRS for some time. I was worried the ground handlers had put the wrong pax on the wrong AC for a moment as the only 2 AC on the ground at CFU were identical TCXs :)

Keep an eye on G-TCDH i wouldnt be suprised to see it swap again and go to MAN as soon as the chance comes if its needed in the hangar soon. MAN-BRS swaps may arise more often than MAN-NCL so if a aircraft is needed at TCX HQ soon for a checkup it makes more sense to first swap with BRS downroute then onto MAN.

GrahamK
4th Sep 2017, 17:31
The Emirates got a water salute on the 1st

Ph1l1pncl
4th Sep 2017, 17:38
I'm told that SAS are withdrawing, booking search suggests last flight is the 27th October

I've tweeted SAS and they replied saying the route was ending for the winter, and I asked if it was coming back seasonally in 2018 and they said yes. Whether that happens or not we shall see next summer. It's a shame the route is ending as it's managed to go a few years now in a time slot which wasn't the best for connections.

NCL-TRC
4th Sep 2017, 20:30
I've tweeted SAS and they replied saying the route was ending for the winter, and I asked if it was coming back seasonally in 2018 and they said yes. Whether that happens or not we shall see next summer. It's a shame the route is ending as it's managed to go a few years now in a time slot which wasn't the best for connections.

Strange considering it stopped for the best part of the busy part of this summer?

NorthEasterner
4th Sep 2017, 23:15
The "Etihad" S2000 even more confusing than it appears. The operating airline is Darwin Airline. Etihad has now sold its interest in the airline to Adria, so the airline is to be renamed Adria Airways Switzerland.
I think its an Eastern Airways service, codeshare with flyBe, operated by Darwin Airline in Ethiad colours. But it could be a flyBe device operated by Darwin Airline in Etihad colours, on behalf of Eastern.

It's an Eastern Airways service/flight; under the venture scheme - codeshared with Flybe. Resulting in crew being Etihad Regional and Flybe (depending on crewing, rotas etc). No eastern airways crewing the S2000.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Jamesair
5th Sep 2017, 10:37
A post on the Eastern thread says an AIS Jetstream 31 moves to NCL this weekend and that together with the S2000 will operate the NCL routes. The post gives the operational details.

HH6702
7th Sep 2017, 17:29
Ryanair Summer 2018

flights now on sale same as this year so far
expect a few new routes in the coming weeks to be added

EK77WNCL
7th Sep 2017, 23:26
Definitely hoping for a few new routes, and I'll be slightly disappointed if there arent, but very pleased to see that all of the current routes have survived

Without wanting to speak to soon, here's hoping that Gdansk, Warsaw, Wroclaw and Madrid have survived the "touch and go"phase. It's generally accepted that if Ryanair aren't happy in the first 12 months they'll drop it. Fingers crossed!

Will easyJet get their skates on before they lose any more ground? If I were them, routes like Munich, Amsterdam, Paris, Venice and Milan would be key routes to get their foot in the door before FR. I'm sure that Madrid could have been an easyJet contender

Jamesair
9th Sep 2017, 08:45
Changes to Summer 18 Jet 2 schedules:
Alicante 11 weekly (down from 12)
Antalya 3 (up from 2)
Dalaman 3 (up from 2)

tigertanaka
9th Sep 2017, 13:38
Came across a timetable for scheduled flights from NCL in 1983. Flights were:

ABZ - Dan Air (1 daily on weekends), Air UK (2 daily on weekdays)
AMS - British Caledonian (2 daily)
BFS - Dan Air (1 daily on weekdays)
BGO - Dan Air (1 daily on weekdays)
BHX - Dan Air (2 flights on Tue & Thur)
BOH - Dan Air (2 daily)
CWL - Dan Air (2 flights on Mon, Wed & Fri)
DUB - Dan Air (1 daily - not Sat)
GLA - British Caledonian (2 daily)
IOM - Dan Air (2x Sat, 1x Sun)
JER - Dan Air (1x Sat, 3x Sun)
LGW - Dan Air (2 daily on weekdays, 1 daily on weekends)
LHR - BA (5 daily weekdays, 3 daily weekends)
MAN - Dan Air (2 daily on weekdays)
SVG - Dan Air (1 daily on weekdays)

Scheduled flights were only Britain, Ireland and Norway - a far cry from today.

2 flights a day to Bournemouth stood out for me. Double dailies to GLA and MAN too.

SWBKCB
9th Sep 2017, 14:13
The BCAL will have been GLA-NCL-AMS and the BOH would have been NCL-MAN-BOH with CWL and BHX in the mix on certain days - Dan Air had an extensive 'bus stop' domestic network on 748's (Avro not Boeing....), so not quite as weird as it looks.

Also there was a strict split between scheduled and charters, and never the twain were mixed....

jensdad
9th Sep 2017, 19:01
I'm surprised there weren't any flights to Paris in 1983. I know Air UK used to do it at some point in the 1980s, followed by Air France with TAT F28s. Also, either CP Air or Wardair would have been doing Toronto at that time, Wardair was definitely classed as a scheduled flight (the spin about Emirates being NCL's first long-haul schedule being untrue). Maybe this was a winter timetable? Schedules on your list cover UK, Ireland, Norway, Jersey and Netherlands btw (sorry for the pedantry :) )

SWBKCB
9th Sep 2017, 19:12
Were Wardair schedules? My memory says charters, but you know what memories are like! :ok: (though much derided at the time by young spotters like me, having worked with them I found them to actually be an excellent company - far better than the likes of Laker, CP Air, etc)

jensdad
9th Sep 2017, 19:24
Yup, I definitely remember seeing them in the airport timetable. Flight number was WD180/181 (God, I must have been a strange child). I suspect that a lot of seats were sold in blocks to Jetsave and other travel agents but they were defo in the scheduled services timetable.

jensdad
9th Sep 2017, 19:34
Schedules on your list cover UK, Ireland, Norway, Jersey and Netherlands btw (sorry for the pedantry :) )

Sorry, the Isle of Man is also - like Jersey - not part of the UK. Before someone is pedantic about my pedantry. :)

canberra97
9th Sep 2017, 19:45
In 1983 Wardair were given permission to operate scheduled flights between Canada and the United Kingdom where as before they were classed as ABC flights as in 'Advanced Booking Charters'.

In addition to the regular Wardair departure airports such as London Gatwick, Manchester and Prestwick at the time scheduled flights were permitted additional UK airports were added to their network such as Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Leeds/Bradford, London Stansted and Newcastle.

Wardair had during that period quite an extensive network of scheduled flights between the United Kingdom and Canada and were renouned for their in flight service and hospitality.

Of course CP Air had a large amount of flights also from the regions but those were still ABC flights.

SWBKCB
9th Sep 2017, 19:55
Thanks - it was '81 when I was involved with them, so fits for both of us. Excellent answer! :ok:

jensdad
9th Sep 2017, 19:57
Interesting info, Canberra. From memory, I think the Newcastle flights at various times operated either via Prestwick or as a double drop with Birmingham, Belfast or possibly Cardiff.

tigertanaka
10th Sep 2017, 10:33
Sorry, the Isle of Man is also - like Jersey - not part of the UK. Before someone is pedantic about my pedantry. :)

The thing about pedantry is that it puts people off making useful contributions on forums like this.

Richard Taylor
10th Sep 2017, 10:51
Came across a timetable for scheduled flights from NCL in 1983. Flights were:

ABZ - Dan Air (1 daily on weekends)

I recall this routing at weekends - I seem to think it also operated this routing on bank holidays but stand to be corrected on that.

Flight No. was DAN 161 ABZ-NCL when I recalled it (it also used the flight no. as its callsign in a time when Dan used alpha-numeric callsigns on some flights) & 168 on the return evening leg NCL-ABZ. Don't know if the flight nos. changed on the NCL-LGW-NCL legs.

Usually with the 1-11.

SWBKCB
10th Sep 2017, 11:27
The thing about pedantry is that it puts people off making useful contributions on forums like this

Well, as Jensdad was correcting himself, hopefully he hasn't put himself off posting in future. Personally, I quite like a bit of accuracy in posts - it makes them more useful when a bit of thought has been put in :ok:

Iank72
10th Sep 2017, 14:51
I recall this routing at weekends - I seem to think it also operated this routing on bank holidays but stand to be corrected on that.

Flight No. was DAN 161 ABZ-NCL when I recalled it (it also used the flight no. as its callsign in a time when Dan used alpha-numeric callsigns on some flights) & 168 on the return evening leg NCL-ABZ. Don't know if the flight nos. changed on the NCL-LGW-NCL legs.

Usually with the 1-11.

I.remember DA161/2 operating on Saturday mornings ABZ-NCL-LGW-NCL-ABZ and Sunday evenings as DA167/8 with 1-11 400s. Probably thinking now this might have been 84/85 though.

DanAir89
10th Sep 2017, 18:16
love a bit of Dan Air chat but can't believe I'm not the only one who remembers their flight numbers. My "favourite" being DA89xx, the positioning flight number with the last two letters of the aircraft reg.

HH6702
10th Sep 2017, 18:27
Remember flying dan air 727 and 732 to jersey in 1987/88

inOban
10th Sep 2017, 18:31
There is a nostalgia forum......!

DanAir89
10th Sep 2017, 18:39
There is a nostalgia forum......!

What a disappointing contribution!' It'll be back on track to "wish lists" Soon enough.

See TUI will be doing SKG next year.

inOban
10th Sep 2017, 19:01
I was only joking. I'm not really a miserable git. I'm just as frustrated by some poster's fanciful dreams.

jensdad
10th Sep 2017, 21:43
love a bit of Dan Air chat but can't believe I'm not the only one who remembers their flight numbers. My "favourite" being DA89xx, the positioning flight number with the last two letters of the aircraft reg.

And DA51T, used when they used to spend endless hours driving a 737 or similar round the circuit.
Thinking about the DA89XX, something is telling me they used different numbers for different types? I definitely remember DA79XX and DA99XX being used. Might just have been if they had two or three positioning flights in the air at the same time though.

Jamesair
10th Sep 2017, 22:28
Getting back to possible route announcements for next summer, I will be surprised if Naples is not one of them.

EK77WNCL
10th Sep 2017, 22:43
Don't get me wrong... But:

- Great news about TOM to SKG, but in actual fact:
--- There is no net increase as it is a simple swap of the Thursday morning FAO rotation that is being dropped
--- WHY do airlines insist on doing this, Jet2 got there first, so naturally TOM jumps onboard as well. How well did that go in Funchal? (Granted, that was LS jumping on TOM's turf - but they still lost) and how well did that go for TCX in Almeria? TCX in Paphos?

Why didn't Thomson go for Mykonos instead? Unserved and more high end. Right up their street

I hope to GOD that Naples is not announced for summer 2018 with easyJet, Ryanair, Jet2 or whoever it may be. Thomson has literally just doubled capacity on NCL-NAP... I for one, don't want that compromised

Rome, maybe. I think that could support a LCC as well as LS. Say 2/3 FR to Ciampino

DanAir89
11th Sep 2017, 05:35
And DA51T, used when they used to spend endless hours driving a 737 or similar round the circuit.
Thinking about the DA89XX, something is telling me they used different numbers for different types? I definitely remember DA79XX and DA99XX being used. Might just have been if they had two or three positioning flights in the air at the same time though.

I think you are right - I went for the one I remembered most but there was definitely DA79. One for each aircraft type could have taken quite a few blocks up! Could one have been from NCL the other to NCL? On the subject of 737's was G-BLDE the best performing 737 hence it being based at NCL (the most northern base) for most of 84-90?

On SKG given the capacity on FAO now probably a decent move. PMI seems to be down to 3 TUI flights so perhaps Ryanair have had an impact on them. SKG was a route that was served from NCL from the 80's until Thomson dropped it a few years ago. There is a quite an impressive Family Life hotel there amongst others so it's probably got much wider appeal than Mykonos. I considerd flying from EMA or MAN in the past couple of years to get there but settled for the geordie staple of Spain! NB Paramount MD83's did SKG in the good old 80's and Dan air may have done it one year........

Border Reiver
11th Sep 2017, 06:57
Of Dan Airs 737-200s DE was one of 2 dash 17A powered aircraft which were the most effective to use from a shortish runway in the north of England. Why out of the 2 DE was used in NCL and DF mostly in Berlin I don't know.

Lovely memories, 1st airframe I got 1000 hours in.

GrahamK
11th Sep 2017, 08:45
July stats finally out:

Brussels: 2175 +25%
Paris CDG 13295 +12pax
Berlin 3836
Dusseldorf: 4992 +26%
Cork 1140 -40%
Dublin 23649 +21%
Rome 2553 +1%
Amsterdam 33418 +4%
Madrid 3194
Stavanger 1317 +47%
Prague 2481 +1%
Gdansk 3083
Krakow 2574 +1%
Warsaw 2672
Wroclaw 3064
Dubai 22150 +3%

612869 pax in July, up 8%.

Rolling 12 months: 5,137,035. +10.6%

GrahamK
11th Sep 2017, 09:24
Jet2 will be using the A330 on some of the EWR flights this year

LiamNCL
11th Sep 2017, 17:37
On SKG given the capacity on FAO now probably a decent move. PMI seems to be down to 3 TUI flights so perhaps Ryanair have had an impact on them.

TCX are also down to around 3 PMI flights next summer

DanAir89
11th Sep 2017, 18:19
Of Dan Airs 737-200s DE was one of 2 dash 17A powered aircraft which were the most effective to use from a shortish runway in the north of England. Why out of the 2 DE was used in NCL and DF mostly in Berlin I don't know.

Lovely memories, 1st airframe I got 1000 hours in.
Brilliant - one of those things I've wondered since living on the flight path and/or standing on the airport roof all those years ago and who better to answer it than a Dan Air pilot! Thanks

Now for the other questions I have.....

NB inoban was tongue in cheek - genuine disappointment that it wasn't dan air related!

Flightrider
11th Sep 2017, 23:33
Why didn't Thomson go for Mykonos instead? Unserved and more high end. Right up their street

I hope to GOD that Naples is not announced for summer 2018 with easyJet, Ryanair, Jet2 or whoever it may be. Thomson has literally just doubled capacity on NCL-NAP... I for one, don't want that compromised

Sounds like time for the airport to start using its pricing deals with airlines to incentivise behaviour and route selections in the way some others do. Not difficult but it tends to avoid certain routes becoming bunfights and sustainable development occurring.

And on the Dan 737s - I'm sure it was to do with performance. I thought BMDF used to have better weights or engines than BLDE (and BJXJ before it went to Britannia) so could do Berlin/Tenerife non-stop which the others couldn't. I can't immediately find anything on-line prove that but DF definitely spent most of its time in Berlin and was rarely seen in the UK and DE (usually accompanied by 727 G-BAJW) spent most of the time in Newcastle. DF also had the unusual distinction of operating for almost a year with a -15 engine on one side and a -17 on the other though. Never seen that before or since.

Skipness One Echo
12th Sep 2017, 04:29
Wardair services became schedules in 1987. #nostalgia :)
Dan Air had their own ops handling as well on 131.875. Changed days.

Border Reiver
12th Sep 2017, 06:34
I would not be surprised if DF was slightly lighter than DE. Memory says they both had the same engine type.

Navpi
13th Sep 2017, 20:46
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/could-heathrow-expansion-hurt-north-13611492.amp

Jamesair
13th Sep 2017, 21:27
AUG stats are now available on the airport website

Pax 624,233 (581,513 Aug 2016)

EK77WNCL
14th Sep 2017, 00:44
Very close (+/- 10,000 pax) to record monthy pax numbers that we hit in 2007. If we get any expansion announced for next year, we could be on to 2018 being a record year.

6 million isn't looking as unattainable as it might have over the last few years. I reckon its within 12/18 months of us proving we see some expansion

Jamesair
14th Sep 2017, 08:35
It only needs an average of 500,000 a month

EK77WNCL
14th Sep 2017, 17:47
We are very seasonal though, yes we can get 500,000+ May-September, and 600,000 in July and August, but outside of that we barely scrape 250-300,000.

If growth remains the same, we could then look at hitting 500,000 reliably through April and October and hitting above 300,000 in the weakest months, January, February and November. With this, 650-700,000 could be attainable in July and August.

5 months - 500,000+
5 months - 300,000+
2 months - 600,000+

Would give us an absolute minimum of 5.5 million.

I have been on night shift and had too much time on my hands... So I sat and did this last night. Obviously it's very rough, but if growth remains at 12% we'll hit 6 million in 2018

01/17 - 280,200 (+16.8%) 01/18 - ? 314,328
02/17 - 287,609 (+12.3%) 02/18 - ? 322,639
03/17 - 334,553 (+11.2%) 03/18 - ? 375,301
04/17 - 407,599 (+18.0%) 04/18 - ? 457,245
05/17 - 510,342 (+13.1%) 05/18 - ? 572,501
06/17 - 587,953 (+10.8%) 06/18 - ? 659,566
07/17 - 618,365 (+15.1%) 07/18 - ? 693,681
08/17 - 624,233 (+7.30%) 08/18 - ? 700,264
09/16 - 534,516 (+7.00%) 09/17 - ? 599,620 -> 09/18 - 672,654
10/16 - 444,660 (+6.30%) 10/17 - ? 498,819 -> 10/18 - 559,575
11/16 - 296,167 (+9.80%) 11/17 - ? 332,240 -> 11/18 - 372,703
12/16 - 305,842 (+18.4%) 12/17 - ? 343,094 -> 12/18 - 384,883
(Avg % increase 12.18%)

Total (12 month rolling) - 5,232,039 --- 2017 estimate - 5,424,627
2018 estimate: 6,085,340 (based on 12.18% growth, 2016-2017, 2017-2018)

For this to happen though, we'd need equivalent growth from last year. So realistically we're talking about needing 3/4 new year round FR/EZY routes (x2 or more weekly) as well as 2 or more high frequency summer routes (x4 weekly - Daily)

Alternatively, but less likely, a 4th based EZY frame, or an 8th 737 from Jet2 would likely achieve the same

All we can do is wait... But it's fun to speculate

HH6702
14th Sep 2017, 20:11
Thanks for the figures
TCX will be 3x 321 next summer rather than 2x321 and 1x320

All seats helps

LiamNCL
15th Sep 2017, 05:59
Thanks for the figures
TCX will be 3x 321 next summer rather than 2x321 and 1x320

All seats helps

Is this confirmed now ? Seat map still showing as A320 on various flights ? Seat maps not updated ?

DanAir89
15th Sep 2017, 20:12
AUG stats are now available on the airport website

Pax 624,233 (581,513 Aug 2016)

I know it's been discussed here before but one route that doesn't seem to help push numbers up is Bristol. I have to travel to the South West for work and am always shocked at the poor schedule compared to the 4 daily (?) flights that there once was. When I have flown the flights are packed but who wants to leave NCL at around 9pm (assuming the last flight of the day is not delayed) on Tues/Wed/thurs? We went to LHR instead in July and got a mini bus from there for convenience rather than cost. Next month I'll get the train down on Wednesday morning and perhaps fly back on Friday night but I doubt I'm alone finding this frustrating. Wasnt this something like the busiest English (none London) domestic route at some point? Even the Brymon dash 7's provided a better service than this!!

Also used to use STN very frequently (always full as well) and having had some recent horrific trips driving to Essex would love it to make a comeback. But I know it's about profit rather than bums on seats....

Final thought, on possible new routes I'm also surprised the Dominican Republic has never made a comeback from NCL especially with the troubles in Egypt and Tunisa. Went in 2006 on the MON a330 and remember it being relatively cheap for a good hotel but perhaps we just got a bargain.

EK77WNCL
15th Sep 2017, 23:29
I'm also a regular user of NCL-BRS-NCL, and the schedule is pretty appalling... Even Belfast isn't amazing anymore.

I hope to God that one day Bmi regional will pick up NCL-BRS, I think they could easily work 2/3 daily flights alongside easyjet.

EVEN a twice daily Bmir/Loganair co-operation out of Durham Tees Valley would probably have me, as opposed to dragging myself an hour and a half through Bristol at midnight coming from NCL on easyjet.

Again, I hope we'll see Ryanair do NCL-STN or easyjet bring back NCL-LGW with the new connection opportunities available, but I doubt it

ash666
16th Sep 2017, 05:38
I would loved to have used the Madrid flight to go on to Seville but I wouldn't have landed at Seville until after 11pm which I didn't fancy.

Do the airlines even realise that flight times can be make or break for a route?

SWBKCB
16th Sep 2017, 05:51
Do the airlines even realise that flight times can be make or break for a route?

Makes you wonder how RYR and EZY have managed to become amongst the largest airlines in Europe :rolleyes:

ash666
16th Sep 2017, 05:55
Does anyone know what the loads are like on the MAD flights?

DanAir89
16th Sep 2017, 06:17
Makes you wonder how RYR and EZY have managed to become amongst the largest airlines in Europe :rolleyes:

And Jet2 are challenging with "convenient flight times" being one of their USP's!

SWBKCB
16th Sep 2017, 07:24
And Jet2 are challenging with "convenient flight times" being one of their USP's!

"convenient flight times" = lower utilisation. Be interesting to see if they can maintain this USP now the newer fleet has to be paid for.

NorthEasterner
16th Sep 2017, 07:35
Loads on Madrid are fairly good but don't know about yield.

If you want Seville, best place to fly to is Malaga or Faro then ground transport from there on.

Speaking of Faro loads - not always particularly great.

Jerry123
16th Sep 2017, 07:48
There are 2 flights a day to Cardiff with better timings that could be used as alternative for the South West.

Heathrow Harry
16th Sep 2017, 15:37
" I wouldn't have landed at Seville until after 11pm which I didn't fancy."

Spain only wakes up at 22:00 ...................

MerchantVenturer
16th Sep 2017, 20:29
I'm also a regular user of NCL-BRS-NCL, and the schedule is pretty appalling... Even Belfast isn't amazing anymore.

I hope to God that one day Bmi regional will pick up NCL-BRS, I think they could easily work 2/3 daily flights alongside easyjet.

EVEN a twice daily Bmir/Loganair co-operation out of Durham Tees Valley would probably have me, as opposed to dragging myself an hour and a half through Bristol at midnight coming from NCL on easyjet.

The schedule is not at all helpful. The route was for many years the busiest air route between two English provincial cities but last year was overtaken by Manchester-Southampton.

From a high point in the period 2005 to 2008 when annual passenger numbers ranged between 246,000 and 253,000 there has been a gradual decline although the years since 2010 have been relatively static with annual numbers between 165,000 and 176,000.

The worst part of the schedule though is the fact that apart from Mondays it's impossible to do a day trip from either end. Sundays and Fridays in winter both have three rotations, all in the afternoon or evening. Thursday sees two rotations - one in the afternoon and one in the evening - with both Tuesday and Wednesday single daily and Saturday blank. Summer sees marginally fewer rotations each week.

Tomorrow one of the two northbound rotations is sold out and on Monday one of the northbound and one of the southbound are sold out.

You'd imagine that easyJet knows what it's doing but as a former fairly regular user of the route - mainly as a 'day tripper' - it does seem rather an odd set-up to me.

The train operates every hour on a direct route so that might play a part but it's a five-hour journey.

bmi regional does operate against easyJet at BRS on Paris Cdg. easyJet failed to increase its single-daily BRS-CDG despite selling out frequently so bmir came along a year or two ago at 2 x daily and is still there. Another option as Jerry points out would be to use the 2 x daily NCL-CWL with Eastern.

SWBKCB
16th Sep 2017, 20:36
From a high point in the period 2005 to 2008 when annual passenger numbers ranged between 246,000 and 253,000 there has been a gradual decline although the years since 2010 have been relatively static with annual numbers between 165,000 and 176,000.

EZY have run the route throughout this period, so must have a good understanding of the numbers. Clearly they can make more money elsewhere.

EK77WNCL
17th Sep 2017, 01:18
It's blatantly clear that easyJet can make more money elsewhere, which is why (in my opinion) the airport need to try and find a carrier that is actually going to serve the local area and economy the way it needs to be. Such as, I hope Eastern and Flybe come to an agreement to serve NCL-BHD with a few daily flights, because the easyjet schedule isn't amazing there either. At least day returns are possible though.

Knowing the south west, how awful the traffic is and (at times) how badly connected places can be... By the time you've paid £200 for NCL-CWL, got yourself into Cardiff, then into Bristol and to whatever your destination is (or paid the best part of £100 for a taxi) I'd rather spend £60 on an easyjet flight and £39 a night at premier inn, or splash out £60-100 for Hilton/Mercure... You're not making your 9 o'clock meeting in Bristol, by flying into Cardiff. You'd be pushed to get there for lunch!

Unless it is on a Monday, a day return to the south west of England is impossible by plane and implausible (and prohibitively expensive) by train. You could drive... But there's 12 hours of your day gone.

Bmi regional offer very reasonable fares of £49-69 one way on similar length flights across their network, and a very efficient, friendly and welcoming service I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed.

SWBKCB
17th Sep 2017, 05:59
which is why (in my opinion) the airport need to try and find a carrier that is actually going to serve the local area and economy the way it needs to be

airlines are responsible to their shareholders - nobody else

Such as, I hope Eastern and Flybe come to an agreement to serve NCL-BHD with a few daily flights

That'll be the Flybe that operated NCL-BHD and then dropped it?

Bmi regional offer very reasonable fares of £49-69 one way on similar length flights across their network

Which routes, dates are you looking at? From my quick look such fares are very few and far between. While you may be able to pick up the odd bargain, in the main their fares are in line with what I'd expect to pay on a business orientated airline operating thin routes.

DanAir89
17th Sep 2017, 09:21
Interesting comments re Bristol. In summary of 3 travellers ( a wide sample I admit!) they all find it far from traveller friendly. Cardiff is an alternative but does always work. Reading between the lines the other contributor is either happy with the route or doesn't have any need to use it!!

While every company is responsible to its shareholders, the airport's job is to get more people through the door to spend more money while there! I'll be taking the train down and flying back so the airport gets nothing from car parking or the money I may spend in the terminal. So it does come back to the airport to work with airlines to provide services that work for its customers. Admittedly the c80k passengers that are no longer using the route any more may not have been making anyone any money or perhaps the airport has managed to get them to fly to the places served by multiple operators such AGP, ALC and PMI where the bar takings pre flight will be much higher 😀

SWBKCB
17th Sep 2017, 09:32
"The other contributor" doesn't think he has a right to fly where he wants, when he wants at the price he wants to pay and accepts it's down to market forces (but, come the revolution... ;) ).

I think people over emphasise the influence of airports, they can't make people do what they don't want to do or pay a price they don't want to pay.

ps I don't use BRS, but have colleagues who do and have had to fly out via DUB in the morning and back via BFS in the evening this summer because EZY reduced the BFS service!

EK77WNCL
18th Sep 2017, 01:05
I don't think I have the right to fly where I want, when I want, and for whatever price I want. I'm going to Abu Dhabi in 2 weeks, so I'm flying from Edinburgh... I'm going to Riga in November, so I'm flying from Leeds... Without complaint. But I would hope that an important business/leisure/VFR route would have a schedule reflecting that - but beggars can't be choosers with low cost airlines, who fly the route purely for maximum revenue, rather than balancing revenue and customer service. We have 2 airlines, operating utterly crap schedules to 3 cities in the South West, and one operating an extortionately expensive route to Wales... And it's ridiculous

I've driven Newcastle-Bristol many times, I've gone on the train, I've taken the megabus... I've flown direct from Newcastle, I've flown via Dublin, and once (I got lucky with sales) I flew back via Tenerife for £60 because it was, in fact, the most viable and cheapest option to be back in Newcastle in time for work at 07:30 on a Sunday morning... The other option was £200 via Amsterdam or £160 for the train.

Flying NCL-BRS has always been the cheapest option, and for a long time, will continue to be the most convenient option. Door to door, from mine to the missus' works out at 3.5 hours on a bad day, flying. No other method can even come close to competing with that. It's just frustrating that the schedule is woeful.

SWBKCB, a week or two ago, bmir had the majority of their flights NCL-SVG-NCL on sale for £69-79, Aberdeen-Bristol is selling for £62-79 two months out, and £79-110 a month out. If you can book with 1-2 months notice EMA-BRU is selling at £66-90, granted NCL-BRU is £79-160 but BRS-CDG is a steal at £61-80

i'd happily pay £120-160 for a day return NCL-BRS

SWBKCB
18th Sep 2017, 15:48
But I would hope that an important business/leisure/VFR route would have a schedule reflecting that - but beggars can't be choosers with low cost airlines, who fly the route purely for maximum revenue, rather than balancing revenue and customer service. We have 2 airlines, operating utterly crap schedules to 3 cities in the South West, and one operating an extortionately expensive route to Wales... And it's ridiculous

It isn't ridiculous - it's market forces. How important a route was it before a EZY arrived, couple of DHC-8's a day? How is a weekday service from Newcastle to Exeter (EXETER!!) crap?

Flying NCL-BRS has always been the cheapest option

Now that is ridiculous....

highwideandugly
18th Sep 2017, 17:06
Swbkcb...you are so right...these spotters make you cringe!!

EK77WNCL
18th Sep 2017, 17:09
Please accept my apologies, 10 hours on Megabus is about a tenner cheaper than flying easyJet. Apart from that, every other way is more expensive.

A weekday service to Exeter is crap because it used to be 2 daily services to Exeter

I know markets change, but the NE/SW market can't have changed that much, it's not like the NE/SE market that has understandably lost out to frequent, fast train journeys

SWBKCB
18th Sep 2017, 17:19
A weekday service to Exeter is crap because it used to be 2 daily services to Exeter

Unbelievable.... :ugh:

inOban
18th Sep 2017, 17:37
Please accept my apologies, 10 hours on Megabus is about a tenner cheaper than flying easyJet. Apart from that, every other way is more expensive.

I know markets change, but the NE/SW market can't have changed that much, it's not like the NE/SE market that has understandably lost out to frequent, fast train journeys

The question is whether, at the prices you are quoting, either Easy or BMI are doing any more can covering their marginal costs, if that.

SWBKCB
18th Sep 2017, 17:41
inOban - don't start confusing things by bringing in economics! :ok:

EK77WNCL
18th Sep 2017, 17:42
What's the point in having single daily flights with crap times?

Anyway I give up, glad to see you're keeping things mature up here as well, resorting to the usual petty "spotter" insults. Not me though... Haven't been spotting for a good few years now

I'll let you gentlemen get on with your NCL bashing. I'm glad you're not in charge though, I don't think insularity can be very good for business

highwideandugly
18th Sep 2017, 20:05
I'm not sure these days what say airports actually have in a route network.

I'm sure Newcastle would love to have 3 daily returns to Bristol,Belfast,Stansted Gatwick and now Copenhagen et al...the airlines do the sums(apparently) and think Bristol to Poland ( that's a pick out of the sky BTW) makes them more money than a short haul routes with a potential of 200k passengers per year?, and that was Copenhagen as well ??
Now the common denominator is...EZY !!

Not sure what the answer is..we are all armchair CEOs. But without being parochial..this is the NE backwater!

No hope south of the region in DTV..at least Ncl is on the up again.