PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

EK77WNCL
20th Oct 2013, 10:07
Off topic but are KLM ever getting those E170's??? I'm sure they were supposed to be to replace the 70's.

Also I've heard we're supposed to be getting a new Spanish airline next year? Vueling??? Would be nice, been waiting for them for a few years now.

GrahamK
20th Oct 2013, 10:41
No KLC order for E170s afaik, just E190s.

New airline for next year is Jetairfly with a weekly Palma for Thomson - it appears the TOM PUY flight has disappeared though?

ConstantFlyer
20th Oct 2013, 18:58
I seem to remember that Dan-Air's Link City service in the 70s/80s included a MAN-NCL sector. It'd be great to have it back. I'd far prefer to fly (35/40 mins?) than to trog into central Newcastle, spend £60 and 3h30m on the train to get to Manchester Airport.

Sadly, it would be quite contrary to NCL's own route development ambitions to funnel traffic to a local competitor. However, if no-one comes forward to operate the Gatwick route, it suddenly becomes more of a feasible option. Manchester is, of course, flybe's domestic hub.

JonnyH
20th Oct 2013, 19:13
Any reason why TCX's TFS flight landed at GLA and is now travelling back to NCL?

Doesn't seem as if the earlier evacuation would of affected this flight, might be wrong though..

GrahamK
20th Oct 2013, 20:01
MAN-NCL is a no-goer. Besides, I believe the Newcastle-Man Airport train will be readjusted to go to Liverpool instead in the near future.

EK77WNCL
20th Oct 2013, 20:53
What happened with the TCX evacuation? I was at the airport this morning and as I left at about 10:15 there were 2 ambulances going in. Also, on Saturday when I was there, once again as I was leaving at about 07:50 there was an ambulance going in. Unlucky coincidence?

LiamNCL
20th Oct 2013, 21:56
Extra flights to scotland for their school holidays , there was 4 TCX 757s on approach to GLA when I looked that was including our 757 , all of which positioned back to their bases.

ConstantFlyer
20th Oct 2013, 22:12
Besides, I believe the Newcastle-Man Airport train will be readjusted to go to Liverpool instead in the near future.

Err? I doubt it. I understand Manchester Airport shelled out heavily to get the train operators to terminate at the Airport instead of in town, for the very reason that station departure screens across Northern England would feature Manchester Airport as a destination, most particularly in places like Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Darlington and Carlisle - places with their own airports but no overground rail link to speak of.

And who'd want to go to Liverpool? If the Newcastle-M'cr Airport service ceased, folks would have to change trains at Manchester Piccadilly, making a direct air service twice as attractive.

I agree that such a service is unlikely; but as another poster had mentioned it, I reminisced how nice it would be to have something like the old Dan-Air Link City service - though at a frequency that made sense. Plenty of people fly Manchester-Edinburgh, so those aiming for the Berwick corridor may prefer a Newcastle service.

EK77WNCL
20th Oct 2013, 22:18
If they could get someone like Loganair in on it to do MAN and NWI at the same time I think they'd be on to a winner. Or maybe Bmi? Or Eastern, although cracking back into MAN just for NCL may be a bit too expensive. Unless they did MAN-NWI and MAN-ABZ at the same time or something like that.

Jamesair
21st Oct 2013, 16:07
After getting off to a slow start, it's good to see the SAS Copenhagen route building nicely

airhumberside
21st Oct 2013, 18:55
Err? I doubt it.
It is happening. Even Nexus supported it, saying the loss of Manchester Airport links can be mitigated through cross platform interchange at places like Huddersfield

Section 17 - Track access decisions (http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.210)

SWBKCB
21st Oct 2013, 20:06
so travel to a rival airport is now more difficult - result for Newcastle!

EK77WNCL
21st Oct 2013, 20:53
Only a result if Newcastle can secure the routes people travel to MAN for. The likes of Frankfurt, Lisbon, Milan, Zurich etc.

SWBKCB
22nd Oct 2013, 05:43
It's a result for Newcastle because:

1. On every route where MAN competes with NCL (virtually all of them!), the journey to MAN is now longer, more difficult. Huddersfield train station might be a lovely place - I've never been - but do I want to lug my cases off there and stand around waiting for another train that might not turn up, etc, etc

2. Thousands of commuters and other train users in the North East aren't being constantly reminded on a daily basis about how easy it is to get to MAN.

mitchf
22nd Oct 2013, 06:48
Announced in this mornings journal that BMI are to start double daily flights to Brussels from March 2014.

Cant see this online but its in the paper version I am reading on the train to London where I will be catching the Eurostar to Brussels. So its good news for me

Journal says this will be announced officially later today.

apaul
22nd Oct 2013, 08:25
If the 'Director of Rail' at Nexus thinks it's a good idea to change at Huddersfield en route to Manchester Airport I suggest he tries it for himself. The trains are always packed between Leeds and Manchester and the last thing I would want to do is to drag luggage off one crowded train on to another. It's also a step backwards having the trains going to Victoria rather than Piccadilly. But even with the poorer rail service I doubt flights between Newcastle and Manchester would be realistic. Good news on the Brussels service.

Sam Chipperfield
22nd Oct 2013, 09:02
Good to have BMI back on The Brussels Route, Wonder if they could do more Routes out of NCL in the Future?

fl dutchman
22nd Oct 2013, 09:37
Now on Airport website. Good news. Gatwick announcement tommorrow??

Jamesair
22nd Oct 2013, 09:52
BMI to Brussels is very good news, commencing 3rd March at twice daily. I can't find the timings yet so don't know if its a NCL based aircraft, which might open up the possibilities of another route in the middle of the day.

alex207
22nd Oct 2013, 17:14
Maybe a Frankfurt flight?

skyman771
22nd Oct 2013, 20:19
It isn't as if there has never been a service to MAN, Dan Air operated it twice daily ? in the late 70's with a 748. Appreciate that times have changed, however there are now many more routes offered if one connected through MAN, as opposed to 30 years ago, not to mention additional IT flights.
One should accept that NCL will NEVER get a regular US direct service & accept that along with LHR/AMS/CDG & now DUB that it is inevitable that MAN should be added to this list.
It would never be my scene to lump bags onto a train(s) sit for c.3 hours only to lug them off again to stand in another checkin line / security etc. That alone should deter some, then IF as I read there is also the additional hassle / stress of a further change of trains, then there has to be a price that some will pay to avoid all of this.
Furthermore a good number of the people I have spoken to who use MAN end up spending an overnight in a local hotel prior /after to departing /returning from their flight.
If Eastern can make a go of BHX , accepted it's a business based flight, then MAN has to offer some attraction.
My view still remains that the reason that MAN - NCL does not operate is because there is a core of persons at NCL who DON'T want the service! & see it as undermining development at NCL !
All I can say to these guys is that over the past few years it wouldn't appear that this policy has been beneficial to those who reside in the North East.

davidjohnson6
22nd Oct 2013, 20:34
Skyman - I think you are being overly pessimistic on the prospect of a nonstop NCL-NYC
Granted it won't come in the next 12 months but over time, Newcastle airport will continue to grow and gain more routes. In 10 or 20 years time I could plausibly see some sort of route on something like a 787

apaul
22nd Oct 2013, 20:47
Manchester's route network hardly compares to the hub airports that Newcastle has flights to, or some that it doesn't like Frankfurt. For example, to the west coast of USA there's only a few leisure flights to Las Vegas. Plus any service is unlikely to be early or late enough to avoid a hotel stay if you've got an early or late flight with a charter or lo-cost airline. There would also be the hassle of having to change terminals in many cases. I can't see it working.

skyman771
22nd Oct 2013, 20:50
I guess some would adopt the view "Never say Never" & I accept that things change, for me "Never" is in my lifetime.
I have a long memory of the false optimism that has been generated in every one of the past four decades & as such I feel that I can be reasonably comfortable in the use of "Never" in this context.:sad:
On a slightly different tangent then NY offers a pretty decent holiday destination & I would be the last to dispute that there may come a time when 787's appear NYC bound on a regular basis in the colours of TOM or similar IT carrier.:)

SWBKCB
22nd Oct 2013, 21:11
Gill were operating MAN into the Nineties with Sheds, think it ended with leased Bandits?

Also, where did the European JetStream operate to, was that MAN or BHX?

I'd put money on MAN re-starting before TOM to NYC (and knowing my luck, somebodies typing up the press release now!)

EK77WNCL
22nd Oct 2013, 21:24
I was just thinking before I came on, what are the chances of:

Someone like Jet2 restarting YYZ summer seasonal and Air Transat starting Vancouver/Calgary? Maybe a triangle like EXT was. Along the lines of YVR-MAN-NCL-YVR? or LGW/GLA.

I know this isn't the most affluent area of the country but I know some will be interested in this sort of higher end tourism. I'd like to see more within Europe and Africa too, like Santorini, Cape Verde etc. Maybe Gibraltar? Anna.aero seems to think there's demand for it. Especially if it were NCL-LBA-GIB-LBA-NCL.

Whoopsies, rambling again :/

simonwa
22nd Oct 2013, 21:45
Ncl to LGW has appeared on the easyjet booking site tonight. Looks like twice daily except Saturdays.

Jamesair
22nd Oct 2013, 22:16
alex207....This is exactly what is happening at E. Midlands with BMI....morning and evening Brussels and lunchtime Frankfurt rotation.

Jamesair
22nd Oct 2013, 22:39
The new Gatwick service starts 30th March. Mon - Fri & Sun twice daily, Sat no service.

The Sunday rotations are both Gatwick based a/c

Mon- Fri & Sun morning departure....0710 from Gatwick...0705 from NCL the evening departure is a Gatwick based a/c.

What happens to the 0840 Gatwick based a/c after its arrival at Ncl each morning. Could there be some new routes?

EK77WNCL
23rd Oct 2013, 00:20
Finally, was worried it was never going to happen! Just need Jet2's instalment now.

That is very interesting and I hope that there are new routes, with 10.5 hours between the flights I certainly hope they can fit something in. I just have a very horrible feeling that it may "replace" a NCL based aircraft, operating effectively as a NCL based aircraft night stopping at LGW. We'll have to see what the next few weeks have in store. So are both flights NCL-LGW-NCL every day operated by LGW based aircraft?

Cheers,
Martin

CentreFix25
23rd Oct 2013, 06:35
It was already posted further back on the thread...

NCL-based aircraft: NCL-LGW-AGP-NCL
LGW-based aircraft: LGW-NCL-AGP-LGW

This allows for an early flight in each direction.

nclairportfan
23rd Oct 2013, 07:53
It would seem the evening rotation is a LGW based aircraft too.

Hopefully this will do well especially with the amount of people who will probably want to get to LGW to use other EZY and competitor routes. Shame there is no rotation on a Saturday though.

For business people travelling from LGW, it's less good. The morning departure is fine but getting back to LGW at 10.20pm might put people off (it would me!).

On BMI, again good news but lots of spare capacity during the day so hopefully at least one other new route to be announced?

I am really surprised that BE haven't considered a double daily to CWL (morning and evening) to go after T3's customer base and the more cost conscious customers.

pallan
23rd Oct 2013, 12:48
I never realised how popular the NCL-LHR route was!

Just looked on thebasource.com for Septembers available seats (I had some spare time) and in September there was 49196 seats available with passenger figures of 43782 for that month. This gives an impressive 88.9% load factor and that was with around 20 of the 160-odd flights being a 188-seat A321 and 70 being a 162-seat A320

Travelling on the route in February and was expecting maybe 70% at best (with maybe a seat to myself!) but these figures seem pretty good for the route! Does it get quieter in winter months or is it always this busy?

GrahamK
23rd Oct 2013, 13:09
I remember reading somewhere that BA's NCL-LHR was the hardest domestic flight to get a standby on due to the high pax numbers.

JKKne
23rd Oct 2013, 13:52
Yes during my OH's brief stint at BA we always booked a guaranteed seat NCL - LHR and vice versa through Hotline as opposed to standby. Not worth a risk if your connecting at LHR to a flight with a near empty first class with a premium standby! :)

alex207
23rd Oct 2013, 14:59
Good few days for Newcastle with Brussels announcement yesterday,Gatwick today and the launch of Aer lingus to Dublin tomorrow!

GrahamK
23rd Oct 2013, 15:26
Indeed, just need another tech problem for YL-LCL :ok:

Skipness One Echo
23rd Oct 2013, 15:49
Is this the third incarnation for NCL-DUB in green? I recall it was launched with the SF340 as EI308 / 309 from memory. Did they not serve NCL with the A320 at some point after the Commuter operation was axed?

SWBKCB
23rd Oct 2013, 15:55
S1E - Yes, also used Fk.50's. The 320 was some odd mid-afternoon affair - didn't last. Funny that!:rolleyes:

Jamesair
23rd Oct 2013, 16:05
I think they've got it right this time.....will watch the monthly pax figures carefully to see how it goes...they are looking for about 60,000 pax a year according to something I read. Will Ryanair react?

EK77WNCL
23rd Oct 2013, 16:28
The only noble thing Ryanair can do is pull out and let EI go 3+ daily. And then, if they insist on continuing to operate from NCL they should tap into some unserved markets, maybe start up BGY again and see how HHN goes. Then when it fails, let someone like LH/BM step in to do FRA and they we'll be Ryanair free :D unless they keep NCL-GRO x4 weekly instead of doing the, again, noble thing and leaving it for someone like TOM, or letting Vueling come in and do BCN or more easyjet to BCN or anything that involves FR leaving NCL. I'm sorry but I just don't like them. I may like them more if they suddenly based 5 aircraft here and started 30 new routes (without threatening TOM/TCX/LS/EZY) but the way they chop and change that aint never gonna happen and I wouldn't rely on them like some airports do.

SWBKCB
23rd Oct 2013, 16:32
Good grief... :rolleyes:

fl dutchman
23rd Oct 2013, 19:26
I believe it remains the hardest domestic from/to LHR to get a standby.

88% LF seems about right, however there are some periods when they cut frequency to 5 or even 4 rotations per day and these cuts dont seem to be the same periods each year and are not always in the quieter months. Dont understand.

Gatwick. As expected but agree the evening times are not great. However very good news that the route is to continue.

SWBKCB
23rd Oct 2013, 19:35
88% LF seems about right, however there are some periods when they cut frequency to 5 or even 4 rotations per day and these cuts dont seem to be the same periods each year and are not always in the quieter months. Dont understand.

Suspect it's one of the easier routes to plan in a reduction if short of aircraft/crews, etc

fl dutchman
23rd Oct 2013, 19:44
They do usually however schedule the reduced frequencys about 10/11 months in advance. Dont see how its easier to plan reductions on this service than on other routes particularly with the load factors achieved.

SWBKCB
24th Oct 2013, 05:38
When ever there is stress in the system, domestic routes are the first to go - presumably because this cause least inconvenience to pax?

Also, bmi Regional talking about expansion:

bmi airline chiefs in talks over more new routes from Newcastle International Airport - Journal Live (http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/bmi-airline-chiefs-talks-over-6227316)

GrahamK
24th Oct 2013, 19:41
Rare sub on this evenings CDG nightstopped, Hop E190 inbound iso the usual RJ85

GrahamK
25th Oct 2013, 17:09
Some weather problems tonight?

SWBKCB
25th Oct 2013, 17:20
Thunder, lightning, heavy rain :(

GrahamK
25th Oct 2013, 17:43
Are these designated holds at NCL (called?) or do a/c just get vectored at random whilst keeping safe seperation?

Boris1
26th Oct 2013, 09:14
Its interesting to read some peoples ideas(dreams) for NCL routes. I'm sure that there is a group of people expecting a new long haul announcement every week!

For a route to start, there HAS to be demand, not just a little demand that will fill the odd flight, the demand has to be more than viable. Then there is the start up costs, then the operating costs etc. If the route isn't profitable, it doesnt start. So don't be expecting 2 or 3 airlines fight to fly to NCL from the states, or other long haulers like canada etc crop up.

There is still a load of european destinations that NCL doesnt serve. Whether this is down to the lack of demand, or lack of bothering from management, i do not know.

If any of the likes of FRA etc happen, it wont be a 4x daily LH A320 or whatever, it will start of small and progressively improve. We wont be seeing the likes of Vueling take over from RYR, we wont be seeing Jet2 announce a host of long haul destinations from NCL to the likes of Canada.

If its purely down to spotters wanting to see long haul airliners, take a trip to one of airport in the UK that see them daily.

apaul
26th Oct 2013, 09:46
What's brought about this windmill-tilting, Boris? Perhaps because it's not a good time for your usual post about low loads on Newcastle-Dubai.

GrahamK
26th Oct 2013, 09:57
If its purely down to spotters wanting to see long haul airliners, take a trip to one of airport in the UK that see them daily.

Am I missing something? Doesn't EK use a 777-300ER every day into Newcastle?

Anyhow, been a good week for the airport with Brussels and Gatwick announcements and the start of EIR's DUB flights.

10 DME ARC
26th Oct 2013, 10:00
Speaking of DXB I understand October is going to be another really good month!!:)

GrahamK
26th Oct 2013, 10:11
Well since OltonPete mentioned the number of 3 class 77Ws earlier in the month, it has been back toi the normal 2 class a/c for the last 11 days (other than 1 x 442 seater).

EK77WNCL
26th Oct 2013, 22:34
What I don't understand is, when people try to make friendly discussion about what routes they would like to see, what routes they think may work, we're automatically pipe dreaming and demanding that the airport's not good enough. No, we're just discussing, talking. It's a forum, if we only ever talked about what ACTUALLY happens this thread would have been dead for the last few months.

Anyway the first EI flight was 100% LF.

VentureGo
27th Oct 2013, 20:27
Quote:
DTVA is on the Balkan Holidays website for next year:

Durham Tees Valley Airport flights to Bulgaria (http://www.balkanholidays.co.uk/flight_only/durham-tees-valley-airport.html)

Ops Monday morning 4 August-1 September BGH5583/84 08.30-09.30

Hardly a program! - More ... an opportunist selection of peak period breaks! (Less than a month in duration) On a more serious note, which I know will be controversial to the "die hards" of Teeside; DTV is a joke as an International Airport and the arguments against all aversity to keep it as a viable "major" passenger port in our North East region is only delaying its funeral and more importantly delaying the emphasis which should be applied to Promoting NewcastleAirport as a true International Airport serving a greater population to a wider international market.
We can then resource better rail and express coach links from Teeside and Northumberland (as proposed in the plan submitted by Lord Adonis) The North East via Newcastle can then be as sucessful as Manchester is for the North West! - Please read Lord Adonis' report. All of Teeside could connect to Newcastle International Airport in less than 50 mins!! (Less than centre of London to Heathrow!!) - and would attract links to US, Asia, More of Europe etc...
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8120668&noquote=1)

SWBKCB
27th Oct 2013, 21:17
We can then resource better rail and express coach links from Teeside and Northumberland (as proposed in the plan submitted by Lord Adonis)

What's stopping this now if MME is so irrelevant? are these services just waiting for MME to shut?

The North East via Newcastle can then be as sucessful as Manchester is for the North West!

The North West also has Liverpool and Blackpool and MAN seems to manage, so I'm sure NCL can cope with the competition from MME

All of Teeside could connect to Newcastle International Airport in less than 50 mins!!

I haven't read the report, so can you summarise how??

Ps - two 's' in Teesside!

VentureGo
27th Oct 2013, 22:09
Lord Adonis' report suggests :An extended North East Region (LA7 including Northumberland to Teeside) should be promoted as a wider region benefitting from increased population, infrastructure, industry, tourism, potential etc...
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/files/28979

Liverpool relies on Ryanair (little profit)
Blackpool similar business model.

Private bus companies & train operators do not provide an integrated network to connect the wider region. This needs support from a larger Nexus style operation based on a similar model to Transport for London.

Travellers arriving at Newcastle travelling to Stockton / Middlesbrough need to know they can easily link via Metro-Trains-Buses/Coach transfer etc... - Is not currently well communicated.

N707ZS
27th Oct 2013, 23:08
And all Newcastle fans should support Sunderland! Same old...!

And where is Teeside? A long time ago we had Teesside before Cleveland, we now only have Durham and North Yorkshire.

Fairdealfrank
27th Oct 2013, 23:09
Lord Adonis' report suggests :An extended North East Region (LA7 including Northumberland to Teeside) should be promoted as a wider region benefitting from increased population, infrastructure, industry, tourism, potential etc...
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/files/28979

Look at the map on P31. It shows the "LEP"'s boundary. The southern boundary is well north of the river Tees, and MME is not in its area. So it's hardly surprising then that NCL is being pushed over MME.

Jamesair
27th Oct 2013, 23:19
With last weeks announcements from Easyjet and BMI plus the new Aer Lingus Regional service to Dublin it is easy to see which airport the airlines look to for new routes. A joint regional approach would produce better results long term.

HH6702
27th Oct 2013, 23:29
Hi guys

Ive been away for the past few weeks so just catching up with whats been happening....

Good news about BMI starting the Brussels route again, however i feel they are a year too late. They should have started the route as soon as Flybe pulled the aircraft from NCL last summer. BMI will have to do a lot of advertising to gain the 4,500 pax that used to use the service on a monthly.

Still unsure if the route will work this time round. BMI seem to have launched loads of services from BRS and BHX last summer and are now dropping some of them as they aren't making money on them.

Airline press reports talking about adding a 3rd daily flight before the route has started again i think they need to walk first and see how the 2x daily goes.

Talking about other routes they want to start i wonder what they are??

Good news about Easyjet also

SWBKCB
28th Oct 2013, 06:50
Brussels was a SN route, using leased BE a/c towards the end. I think interlining with SN would be important for the route as well. Agree that BM's strategy looks all over the place at the moment.

HH6702
28th Oct 2013, 20:03
Hi

Been reported on the DTV thread that Thomson have pulled all summer 2014 flights from DTV airport

Wonder what plans they have are they to add extra flights from ncl or lds or is it a case of use what flights they have already

SWBKCB
28th Oct 2013, 20:19
I would have thought NCL and LBA will be able to absorb both MME flights between them without too much trouble.

Jamesair
31st Oct 2013, 16:09
Flybe will now be operating the Jersey route every Saturday from 3rd May to 6th Sept.

HH6702
1st Nov 2013, 13:19
Has anybody got any more info from the other month when Virgin Reps were spotted around the airport and looking at the stands etc??

EK77WNCL
1st Nov 2013, 17:46
That was nothing, speculation but they were probably just some friends of people who work at NCL or something haha. I've seen loads of virgin crew at NCL before and once I went up to one (she wasn't busy) and she said that her parents etc lived up here but she was based at LHR so she said she flew up from LHR every week or every other week whenever she had days off to see them, so... Could have something to do with that, as I say, friends up for a look around. They'll all have airside passes. Or it could be to do with the few virgin holiday places popping up around the NE.

I asked one of them too and they said that there was potential after 2015 at the earliest. She said we might hear something in 2016/17. 787's???

nclops
1st Nov 2013, 23:05
There's a lot of Virgin crew who live in NCL and commute to LHR/LGW but they wouldn't be wandering around the ramp, nor would their friends!? Not sure what the apparent Virgin people who were spotted were doing but I'm almost certain they wouldn't have been looking around because they were someone's Friend. Just because you have an airside pass at one airport doesn't automatically mean you can access airside areas with that pass at other airports.

HH6702
1st Nov 2013, 23:10
Agree it won't be friends.

The airport speak to many airlines about starting flights so by the sound of things we have to wait and see!
Has little red put summer 2014 on sale yet?

GrahamK
2nd Nov 2013, 00:46
There seems to be a huge gap in LHR flights during the afternoons at the moment, nothing between 12 and 5pm?
Can't imagine that a 0755 departure to LHR is that popular against the train either?

EK77WNCL
2nd Nov 2013, 01:01
Sorry, that was just an incorrect assumption as to the potential reason why. But as far as I have heard neither Virgin Atlantic or Little Red will be starting flights from Newcastle any time soon.

LAX_LHR
2nd Nov 2013, 01:03
Can't imagine that a 0755 departure to LHR is that popular against the train
either?

But it will be popular for morning connections ex-LHR.

GrahamK
2nd Nov 2013, 01:15
But it will be popular for morning connections ex-LHR.
But not as good as the early mornign KL/AF AMS and CDG departures I wouldnthave thought?

LAX_LHR
2nd Nov 2013, 01:23
But not as good as the early mornign KL/AF AMS and CDG departures I
wouldnthave thought?

Depends on your needs and loyalty (exec club etc).

However my point was that early morning departures to LHR are usually for connections, and not just reliant on O&D who are likely to get the train for quicker city centre-city centre.

SWBKCB
2nd Nov 2013, 07:00
and not just reliant on O&D who are likely to get the train for quicker city centre-city centre.

And many people aren't going city centre-city centre - for many at the NCL end the airport is more accessible than the train station, and at the LHR end many go West into the Thames Valley rather than into the city centre.

As for Virgin - airports are talking to airlines all the time, possible diversion point, long term prospects, etc. Day out of the office, nice lunch, night in a posh hotel - what not to like? Likely to mean nothing.

Currock Base
2nd Nov 2013, 10:20
Somebody is getting too excited about this Virgin thing. The people in airlines who determine operational needs / do route deals etc. don't wear uniforms as they aren't crew. If you say red uniforms on the ramp are you sure it wasn't FLY BE cabin crew?

GrahamK
2nd Nov 2013, 10:28
This mornings Jet2 TFS seems to be taking a strange outbound routing, heading out towards Belfast? Normally they go down to MAN and then over to DUB/ORK before heading out over the Atlantic don't they? Think this is the first time I've seen any NCL-TFS flight come over this way?

10 DME ARC
2nd Nov 2013, 11:24
TFS - Will be a 'Tango' oceanic route, cut across Ireland then south over the Atlantic. I have seen departures via TLA for these routes!!
:ok:

GrahamK
2nd Nov 2013, 12:17
10 DME ARC, yeah thought that too, but last time I flew NCL-TFS we went down to Manchester first before heading out over Ireland, just a bit strange to see it come over Dumfries :ok:

10 DME ARC
2nd Nov 2013, 14:32
Graham
Yes that would be a Tango routing but getting to/from the routes can be effected by the Oceanic tracks them selves which move so the shortest route to them may have massive slot restrictions hence the longer routing through quieter airspace!

fl dutchman
2nd Nov 2013, 18:19
Reason for length of time between flights is one rotation dropped during Nov, part of Dec, some of Jan and some of March.In fact 2 rotations dropped for about a fortnight in March. The connections then in some cases are terrible.

LiamNCL
3rd Nov 2013, 18:14
Just spotted TCX 763 G-TCCB at MAN ready to position to NBE as 601P , Operating TCX6013 back to NCL ?

JND6198
3rd Nov 2013, 18:29
Possibly, because sometime last week LCL operated 2 flights to NBE, and as LCL is now at LGW, the 767 could be bringing the 2 320 loads back?

LiamNCL
3rd Nov 2013, 18:40
This will be why then I didnt realised LCL did 2 flights there last week

GrahamK
4th Nov 2013, 08:00
It appears that Jet2 have cancelled the one off Toronto flight

skyman771
4th Nov 2013, 11:51
It appears that Jet2 have cancelled the one off Toronto flight
Whilst not good news then I for one don't find that at all surprising. Lets face it even in the peak summer months Air Transat have given up on their weekly offering even when sharing pax with Exeter or where ever. Additionally I can't see the attraction of 8+ hours in a Jet2 757 would help:ugh:

GrahamK
4th Nov 2013, 11:52
GLA has had BOS and YYZ cancelled as well, and LBA's BOS and YYZ has also been cancelled.

The April NYC shopping trip is still available though

Jamesair
4th Nov 2013, 12:01
Interesting postings involving NCL - OSLO has developed under the BMI Regional heading for anyone who has missed it.

LiamNCL
4th Nov 2013, 16:12
Bridge too far for Jet2 , they would be better off doing extra NYC flights

EK77WNCL
4th Nov 2013, 16:15
Damn, too bad, but I suppose the profit margins were probably tiny and when I looked the flight was barely even half booked, maybe 80-100 seats were booked.

Jamesair
4th Nov 2013, 17:05
They have to very careful choosing these "one-off" flights, as just mentioned a couple of NY trips or more Marrakesh/Vienna/Budapest/Berlin style flights would maybe work better.....Las Vegas (if they had a bigger a/c) might interest quite a few people.

EK77WNCL
4th Nov 2013, 20:31
Marrakech, Vienna, Budapest and Berlin would all work well as seasonal and year round scheduled flights from NCL, not just One offs. Also Cologne too. Just needs someone with a knack for niches (Jet2!) to come and make them work. Berlin may need to wait until Brandenburg opens though, which could be any time after 2250.

SWBKCB
4th Nov 2013, 20:52
Budapest, Berlin (both EZY) and Cologne (HLX) have been tried previously from NCL.

EK77WNCL
4th Nov 2013, 21:01
From what I've heard Cologne, and all of the rest of their routes from NCL worked well for HLX.

I don't see EZY as being the perfect fit, their routes seem to be more "general" than Jet2's

SWBKCB
4th Nov 2013, 21:05
Can't have worked that well - the airline doesn't exist any more and nobody has stepped into take over the route. And why would Budapest and Berlin work for Jet2 if they didn't for Easy?

LiamNCL
4th Nov 2013, 21:12
Jet2 need to consider some 767s in the near future because without them they will not be crossing the atlantic much longer

apaul
4th Nov 2013, 22:14
Jet2 flies plenty of routes from Newcastle that easyJet has dropped - Rome, Murcia, Krakow etc. However, it does seem to be more interested in developing holiday destnations rather than city routes.

TSR2
4th Nov 2013, 23:07
However, it does seem to be more interested in developing holiday destnations rather than city routes.

Probably due to a successful Jet2 Holidays Tour Operation.

EK77WNCL
5th Nov 2013, 00:36
Yes but Jet2 Holidays is trying to push their city breaks more now, Jet2's been "getting" 767's for about 5 years or more now, will it happen? Or could some old A330's be on the cards now from someone like EK, right up LS' buy cheap and run them into the ground business model, which I must admit I particularly like because it works. So that would be a reason why LS is more likely to make them work because it has Jet2 holidays to back it up which is more well known that easyjet holidays. Morocco is also an up and coming travel destination, I think I'd like to see LS do something like Marrakech, Agadir, Boa Vista/Sal, Banjul etc. As I say, they know how to work niches. Who would have thought 10 years ago they could have done to LBA what they have done now? And to a lesser extent what they have done at NCL and EMA but LBA, from what I've heard about it's pre LS existence is quote a surprising success story.

CentreFix25
5th Nov 2013, 07:22
I'm not running or working for an airline, but if it's as easy as you guys make it out to be I might give it a shot. Second hand A330 to Boa Vista/Sal sounds like a money spinner.

EK77WNCL
5th Nov 2013, 18:02
Not A330's for Cape Verde, Morocco etc, that would be massive overkill. 757's would be better :ok:

P.S I know you were being sarcastic

CentreFix25
5th Nov 2013, 18:32
Not A330's for Cape Verde, Morocco etc, that would be massive overkill. 757's would be better

P.S I know you were being sarcastic

;-) :ok:

I predict they'll never do long haul (shopping trips aside) and never have a wide body in their fleet.

EK77WNCL
5th Nov 2013, 20:16
Although I suspect that you are correct, I really hope not

JonnyH
6th Nov 2013, 08:25
This mornings DUB flight cancelled by Aer Lingus.

GrahamK
6th Nov 2013, 10:42
Noticed that with the new TCX A321s coming to NCL next year, the inbound flights from Skiathos will be operating via Kavala, in addition to the SSH flights being capacity restricted.

GAXLN
6th Nov 2013, 12:33
Technical problem with the aircraft today I understand

fl dutchman
6th Nov 2013, 13:37
Thought the EI DUB was twice daily on weekdays.

arran91
6th Nov 2013, 13:44
has tcx announced which aircraft will be based at ncl for 2014
im booked on a tcx in june 14 and it says tcx a320

wonder if its smartlynx again

Jamesair
6th Nov 2013, 13:51
It does operate twice daily, it was the morning flight that was cancelled, tonights flight appears to be operating as normal. Not sure what would happen to pax booked to connect with USA flights.

JonnyH
6th Nov 2013, 15:32
Agreed. Of course they can't be blamed for unforeseen problems but hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come. They can't be advertising these connections to the US if there's a chance they could get cancelled, due to tech problems, and leave people stranded. Might as well use BA if that's the case! I may be proved wrong and EI might have something in place, though.

Also, arran91, if you look at a few posts above and previous pages in this thread, you'll see the A321 has been confirmed for S14.

What's people's views on the TCX A321's anyways? Do you think potential fuel stops may put off pax? Or is this good for NCL?

Anything's gotta be better than LCL.

arran91
6th Nov 2013, 16:33
thanks for that my confirmation states an a320 I hope they inform me of a change to the new a321 (fingers crossed) anything has to be better than lcl I agree thanks

EK77WNCL
6th Nov 2013, 16:33
I'm just a bit peeded off because I passed on the chance to fly to JSI with the 757 (and then non stop back to NCL, the longest route out of JSI) on the basis that I would "Do it next year." I'll still go to JSI at some point but may consider Manchester because I want to feel that 757 power taking off there! :D may seem like a silly way to pick your flights like! Hahaha.

10 DME ARC
6th Nov 2013, 17:00
JonnyH - Any body can have technical troubles I have had flights cancelled by BA a couple of times over the years and missed one transatlantic connection!!

JND6198
6th Nov 2013, 17:06
And thats not to say we wont be getting LCL back next year, as TCX are going 2x321's and 1x320 - which very possibly could be leased from Smart Lynx again

LiamNCL
6th Nov 2013, 17:29
Where else is the TCX A321s going ? Noticed BHX has a 321 now .

Will SSH operate non stop with a PAX reduction ? Im flying TCX there in OCT

JonnyH
6th Nov 2013, 17:37
I understand your point but there is a difference between waiting 10 hours for the next flight to DUB and only having to wait for a couple of hours for the next flight to LHR. I do understand also tech delays are unavoidable but a delayed aircraft is better than none at all.

JMD6198, I thought we were getting 2 x A321s and 1 x 757. I was lead to believe CWL was getting LCL.

JonnyH
6th Nov 2013, 17:40
Also looks like TCX's NCL-NBE has picked up a tech delay, this afternoon. FCLA hasn't departed NCL yet.

JND6198
6th Nov 2013, 17:50
That would make more sense, I was probably wrong, and if we are holding on to 1 757, will flights like SSH and maybe JSI stay 757 for one more year as that would solve the pax reduction or tech stops.

LiamNCL
6th Nov 2013, 18:19
Please say im flying to SSH on a 757 lol

Edit - G-FCLA has departed 4 hours late , glad its gone ! any longer and the flying reef TCBB would of swapped later and left us with a flying shed !

arran91
6th Nov 2013, 18:38
im booked with tcx to borgas in june 14
and it specifies an a320 running the flight

so it may be that there is smartlynx again in 12:hmm:

JonnyH
6th Nov 2013, 19:00
FCLA actually was our based aircraft for a few days. Swapped with TCBB at TFS yesterday!

EK77WNCL
6th Nov 2013, 19:10
LiamNCL, more than likely you will be flying there on an A321, probably via somewhere 3.5/4 hours down route, which should rack the total journey time up to about a nice 6/7 hours. Have fun :ok:

fl dutchman
6th Nov 2013, 19:41
To answer my own Question EI to Dublin Does not opperate in morning on Tue and Wed between 13-19 Nov. And the evening does not opperate on Tue and Wed from 6-11 Nov and again from 14-21 Jan.

TCX. I thought they had confirmed that 2x new 321s and a leased A320 was to opperate in summer 2014. Egypt flights to be non stop but capacity restricted.

JND6198
6th Nov 2013, 19:55
Yeah thats what that said for me this summer as we were booked to go to FUE, it changed at the last minute just before you could choose your seats online, it changed to a 757 from a 320

LiamNCL
6th Nov 2013, 20:15
TCBB was our based aircraft last week too , positioned out on Sat to Izmir operating back to LGW ! BB/BC seem like two of TCX most reliable 757s so always nice to see one based here

JND6198
6th Nov 2013, 20:20
You will have jinxed it now ;):p

LiamNCL
6th Nov 2013, 21:16
Hopefully she wont let me down by going tech at ACE tomorrow :p

Jamesair
6th Nov 2013, 21:31
Does anyone know the reason for this seemingly odd scheduling for certain very limited periods? At least it means you can book with some certainty for the rest of the time.

EI-A330-300
6th Nov 2013, 21:40
Does anyone know the reason for this seemingly odd scheduling for certain very limited periods? At least it means you can book with some certainty for the rest of the time.

Capacity and Demand management.

Jamesair
6th Nov 2013, 21:52
Thanks for the explanation.

JonnyH
6th Nov 2013, 21:54
There's no such thing as a reliable aircraft in the TCX fleet :)

FCLK has been quite problematic for NCL in the past!

Anyways, you've probably jinxed it now!

LiamNCL
6th Nov 2013, 22:21
Hopefully I havent at least FCLK is away on Scandinavia dutys lol

EK77WNCL
13th Nov 2013, 20:21
Hi, does anybody have the latest EK figures for October, hoping they may have broken 20,000, fingers crossed.

GrahamK
13th Nov 2013, 20:48
Should be out friday, but 11 days out of the 31 were 3 class a/c.
However, since 15th October, only 1 x 3 class 77W has been used on the NCL route, no idea if that is any indication of loads, or whether it's just a case of better availability of 2 class 77Ws.

EK77WNCL
13th Nov 2013, 22:25
I think it's mainly just to do with fleets and scheduling etc, although a 3 class aircraft would indicate that, obviously, there weren't enough people to make a 2 class aircraft the only option. Things are definitely picking up with EK at NCL though, not that I ever thought they weren't working though :ok:

HH6702
15th Nov 2013, 10:31
Anybody heard about NEW flights to Jamaica direct from NCL with THomsons?

I'm guessing these will be cruise holidays for 2014/15??

ash666
15th Nov 2013, 10:37
Ok, ok, I'll be the first.

"My wife is going on one of those new flights from Newcastle to the Caribbean".

"Jamaica"

" No, she is going of her own accord".

You know you like the old ones :)

GrahamK
15th Nov 2013, 10:42
Try saying Beer Can, without sounding like a Jamaican saying Bacon. :ugh:

I'd assume these would be similar to the curreent Barbados cruise charters, TOM 787s. I know GLA had been announced but not NCL?

nigel osborne
15th Nov 2013, 10:46
EK77NCL.

Re 3 class 777s, no its just about demand. Both BHX and MAN also had some planes with less seats recently but nowhere near 11 !

Just the time of year, yours should pick up now too as demand increases towards XMAS, so don't worry.

Nigel

MikeyMoo
15th Nov 2013, 11:34
MBJ operate approx. every 3 week from Jan '15 replacing the current Thomson cruises BGI flights (P&O to BGI continue as normal)

MBJ flights are currently planned to be ex TFLY 763 in a 283 config (31 prem 252 economy)

GrahamK
15th Nov 2013, 13:45
Not awfully surprising but BE are to close the NCL base

GrahamK
15th Nov 2013, 14:58
So, October provisional stats:

Gatwick 8231 -2%
Heathrow 43469 +2%
Aberdeen 3209 +17%
Belfast City 3978 +14%
Belfast Int 16425 +1%
Birmingham 739 -31%
Bristol 15218 +4%
Cardiff 1302 -6%
Exeter 2650 +8%
IOM 341 -18%
Jersey 2218 +191%
Southampton 8343 +3%

Copenhagen 1765
Paris CDG 11964 -31%
Dusseldorf 3066 -27%
Dublin 13160 -9%
Amsterdam 31364 +29%
Stavanger 2041 -12%
Dubai 17697 +34% Average load 66.6%

12 month rolling figs 4.39m +1.2%

ash666
16th Nov 2013, 14:39
From the BEEB:

Flybe, the Exeter-based airline, is proposing to close six bases as part of its cost-cutting plan.

Bases at Aberdeen, Guernsey, Inverness, Isle of Man, Jersey and NEWCASTLE are due to close as the airline looks to save £85m over the next few years.

Jamesair
16th Nov 2013, 16:56
I'm interested to see how this is will affect their NCL operations...SOU and BHD can use SOU and BHD based a/c. I should think the Gatwick route will continue until EZY take it over (otherwise the slots which have been sold to EZY would be lost.....Jersey/Newquay and Limoge are the interesting ones. No dates have been given for the base closures.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cloud1
16th Nov 2013, 18:06
The base closures take effect at the same time the LGW routes cease so time wise it will only be the EXT, BHD, SOU, JER and LIG routes affected.

All of which are achievable. For those not operating from such core bases such as BHD and SOU, a possible pattern could be:

EXT-NCL-JER-NCL-EXT
SOU-LIG-NCL-LIG-SOU-NCL-SOU

Just because the base is closing does not mean the routes will neccesarily stop. However alot depends on whether they actually make any money

JonnyH
18th Nov 2013, 19:36
Tonight's 21.35 BE LGW rotation cancelled. Tech or lack of pax?

HH6702
20th Nov 2013, 10:46
Last month or so gone quiet

Westjet -
After launching YYZ to Dublin they are now looking to add other UK routes to EDI, MAN!

Could the airport tempt Westjet to NCL for a weekly summer service?

ash666
20th Nov 2013, 10:52
From the BEEB today. Nothing we didn't already know:

Easyjet has claimed it will create 200 jobs when it launches new routes from Gatwick Airport.

Flights to Brussels and Strasbourg will start on 30 March after the firm bought slots at the airport from Flybe.

Routes to Jersey, Paris and Newcastle will also be launched, as well as increased services to other destinations in the UK and Europe.

The airline said it would be employing an extra 200 pilots and cabin crew who will be based at Gatwick. Easyjet has claimed it will create 200 jobs when it launches new routes from Gatwick Airport.

GrahamK
20th Nov 2013, 11:39
I think APD has cut off any hope of YYZ returning in the forseeable future.

I see Qatar have announced EDI now, it'll be interesting to see if that impacts on EK loads at NCL and GLA.

alex207
20th Nov 2013, 13:30
What have the loads on the Aer lingus Dublin flights been like?

EK77WNCL
20th Nov 2013, 23:04
I don't think QR will effect NCL too much, I just hope EK doesn't go into EDI all guns blazing with a daily 777 starting before QR, EK like to do that...

Instead I hope that they compete away from EDI by increasing at GLA and hopefully NCL in a few years. Someone on a.net suggested an A380 to GLA. With the EK lounge being built there and all, is it a possibility?

Thanks
Martin

P.S would a fully loaded 737 700/800 get off the runway at NCL en route to St Johns?

EDIT: St Johns is closer than SSH, should be ok, still doubtful though.

ash666
21st Nov 2013, 16:06
Don't go through if it's a cold day!

Passengers at nine further airports are to face full body security scanners, the government has announced.

The machines scan through clothing, producing a naked image of passengers so officials can check whether they are concealing anything.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin also announced that those who object to being scanned would be able to request an alternative, private search.

Currently, anyone refusing to go through the machine is not allowed to fly.

The nine additional airports where the scanners will now be in use are Belfast City, Bristol, Cardiff, East Midlands, Glasgow Prestwick, Leeds Bradford, Liverpool, Luton and NEWCASTLE.

BBC News - Full body scanners announced for nine more UK airports (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25036113)

Skipness One Echo
21st Nov 2013, 16:41
The machines scan through clothing, producing a naked image of passengers so officials can check whether they are concealing anything.
No they do not, the photo on the website is grossly misleading. That rather creepy image was from the V1 version. I understand the current machines have a computer rendered Simpsons type cartoon image that displays as a little yellow flashing spot on the CARTOON body, any areas of interest.
They are not looking at your private parts!

It's a media led story which ought not to stand up to a moments scrutiny.

ash666
21st Nov 2013, 16:44
I'd be all in favour of technology if it meant they could relax some of the rules and ditch the silly belts off, laptops out, shoes off, show your liquids etc etc.

ericlday
21st Nov 2013, 16:59
I am 100% with you.

deltahotel9
21st Nov 2013, 19:09
Me too, and having recently had a bad experience with a very obnoxious young lady at NCL who was insistent ALL electrical equipment needed to be removed from hand luggage including phones, mp3 players, games, kindles etc. not just laptops, when I asked when the rules had changed I was told in no uncertain terms to comply with her request or not fly!

ash666
21st Nov 2013, 20:00
And yet some airports don't ask you to take laptops out of your bag at all.

I genuinely forgot a few years ago, twice, to take the fluids out of my hand luggage and the scanners didn't spot them so what is the point???

10 DME ARC
22nd Nov 2013, 05:47
DH9 - It seems to be a NCL thing all electronic items?? Don't ask me why all other airports I use only ask for laptop!! Could it be equipment related??

Heathrow Harry
22nd Nov 2013, 10:56
they're not quicker - in the current system you walk through a doorway and,if you are lucky, that is that and you keep walking to collect your carry on stuff from the xray scanner belt

The new scanners mean EVERYONE has to walk in, stand with their hands in the air for about 10 seconds and then exit - it doesn't sound like much but it really slows the flow

JonnyH
23rd Nov 2013, 15:50
Looks like TOM1659 from LIS has been diverted to us and isn't going to MAN. Anyone know why? No problems at MAN and not exactly local.

Ringwayman
23rd Nov 2013, 15:56
It's not a MAN flight. The TOM flights within the EU to/from MAN are TOM2xxx. NCL flights are TOM1xxx, BHX & EMA are TOM7xxx, etc.

JonnyH
23rd Nov 2013, 16:51
Yes, it is a MAN flight. It left MAN this morning to do MAN-LIS.

No LIS flight from NCL so it's came from somewhere... And I'm pretty sure it's MAN!

Ringwayman
23rd Nov 2013, 17:28
then can you say why this flight does not appear on the MAN arrivals board but on the NCL arrivals board?

These are the TOM flights that arrived at MAN from Lisbon.

TOM2679 14:25 Lisbon Arrived 15:35
TOM2697 14:45 Lisbon Arrived 16:07

Just because it may have left MAN this morning does not mean it will return to MAN.

JonnyH
23rd Nov 2013, 17:44
I'm not saying it's just MAN, I know it could have been scheduled to return to a different airport instead of MAN. I was only making the assumption of it being diverted from MAN, which I probably shouldn't have, because it departed from there this morning. I understand your point and I should have perhaps worded my post better.

I am, however, almost certain TOM do not fly to LIS from NCL. So if anybody could shed any light of why it's came to us, please do. :)

LAX_LHR
23rd Nov 2013, 18:00
Thomson don't (normally) fly to Manchester either, so perhaps the Lisbon-UK routes are cruise charters?

LiamNCL
23rd Nov 2013, 20:12
The LIS flight was on the NCL arrival board last night so it is 100% scheduled to NCL

oceanhawk
24th Nov 2013, 07:09
They were one off cruise flights for a Thomson ship, pax both ways.
1 x GLA
1x BHX
2 x LGW
3x MAN

Mostly 757 s , that's it.

JonnyH
24th Nov 2013, 09:55
So where was the NCL arrival scheduled to go?

GrahamK
24th Nov 2013, 10:22
Was it maybe just positioning back into NCL?

nclops
24th Nov 2013, 12:13
It was always scheduled into NCL. Brought pax back from presumably the same cruise!

heslop2006
27th Nov 2013, 01:23
Out of curiosty, what's the flight coming from Esbjerg regarding?

"EZ325A ESBJERG 0740"

Or is the flight code something in particular? The only EZ near to a flight code I know is EasyJet and I know they don't fly to Esbjerg from Newcastle.

:)

Ringwayman
27th Nov 2013, 06:39
It's Sun Air, the BA franchise operator.

HH6702
27th Nov 2013, 15:23
Rumours of easyjet returning on this route from sept 2014

Can't see it but stated in the STN tread from wiki

heslop2006
27th Nov 2013, 20:25
thank you :)

GrahamK
28th Nov 2013, 13:39
Well, I think we can safely say ORK is now gone. Could EIR be a legitimate replacement, maybe 4 x weekly on the ATR72?

Jamesair
28th Nov 2013, 16:45
It certainly seems to be looking that way, and the monthly pax figures seemed to be rising. Will be interesting to see if it is taken up by another operator, seems more suited to a smaller capacity a/c.

There are a few posts about this on the Cork thread.

N707ZS
28th Nov 2013, 22:18
I hear that the Stansted mail is going back to the railway and Newcastle is to loose one of the Jet 2 based 737QC aircraft.

SWBKCB
29th Nov 2013, 05:42
Airport Wins Row Over Multi Million Pound Contracts - And Is Awarded £2 - Sky Tyne and Wear (http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/90723/airport-wins-row-over-multi-million-pound-contracts-and-is-awarded)

GrahamK
29th Nov 2013, 07:45
N707ZS, I assume if that happens, then the QC would be replaced by a "normal" 733

N707ZS
29th Nov 2013, 12:36
No idea about a replacement Grahamk, just heard the mail flight is due to finish.

cram1010
1st Dec 2013, 16:45
Mail has been back on the railway for around 8 months now, it simply takes some of the weight of Sky Net 8 (STN mail flight).
The 737 was due to be replaced by a West Atlantic ATP on 3rd November but this has now been rescheduled to sometime in January. West Atlantic got the contract for the STN mail flight but it has been mentioned that they may have already lost it due to safety issues?
There will be flights to both EMA and STN with RM for at least another 7 years.

U2MTLS
3rd Dec 2013, 17:47
Jet2 will start weekly service to both Fuerteventura and Funchal next summer. On sale now

JonnyH
3rd Dec 2013, 19:42
FNC starts the beginning of July. FUE end of June. Excellent news.

Is there any idea, at the moment, which A/C will operate these? I would imagine FUE would be operated by a 757 and FNC by 737.

EK77WNCL
3rd Dec 2013, 21:01
THANK GOD FINALLY! Been waiting for FNC since they first introduced it from LBA.

Good to hear we'll be getting FUE at around the same time as everyone else too, should go down well I think.

2 more routes is better than nothing, is it possible that these two may both be operated by 733's using the previous ORK departure times from NCL?

JonnyH
3rd Dec 2013, 21:20
Possibly, I can't imagine FUE will be hugely popular.

apaul
3rd Dec 2013, 21:51
A shame that the Funchal flight, like the existing Thomson service, appears to be summer only.

GrahamK
4th Dec 2013, 08:01
It appears both flights will be on the 733, never the less, good news and should prove very popular :ok:

GrahamK
4th Dec 2013, 10:27
Oh, and apparently the Airport has to pay a £2.5m legal bill...:ouch:

Newcastle Airport hit with £2.5m legal bill for bonus row - Journal Live (http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-airport-hit-25m-legal-6368084)

Newcastle Airport was handed a legal bill of around £2.5m – to recover just £2 worth of damages.

The airport, which has legal insurance to cover its costs, faced the huge bill after taking lawyers at Eversheds to court over a bonus payment agreed seven years ago.

GAXLN
4th Dec 2013, 13:23
Looks to me as though the insurer's have the bill to pay as the airport has wisely covered this aspect off.

HH6702
4th Dec 2013, 20:48
Flybe ends in march

Gatwick (we already knew)
Exeter
Jersey
Limoges

I'm hoping that EASTEN may take up EXETER with twice daily on the J41?

Sad news but if its not making money

EK77WNCL
4th Dec 2013, 21:06
Well Gatwick and Jersey are covered by Easyjet, probably for the best really, more capacity, cheaper flights. Exeter, as you say Eastern may try to tap it but it depends what sort of loads and yields Flybe were getting, I hope it's just a coincidence of the Newcastle and Exeter base cuts and that maybe 29 seats isn't too much to ask, I suppose it's been a 70-odd seat Dash 8 for a few years now so... Maybe. I hope so.

Limoges we've lost, FR wont pick it up with over double the seats available and Twinjet wont even consider us with their Beech 1900D's. May Jet2 be interested in tapping into Dordogne/mid France market with either Bergerac or La Rochelle? Return can be done in <4 hours so I think it would be relatively low risk especially on some of the days when the 733's sit around for hours doing nothing, although on a Tuesday one 733 is now taken up by the new FUE flight.

O/T but would anyone perhaps be able to devise a schedule of jet2's 733's and 752's from NCL for Summer 2014, I know someone was kind enough to last year. Finally, will we be being graced by the Titan A320 again (fingers crossed).

Cheers

Jamesair
4th Dec 2013, 21:46
At least Newquay, Belfast City and Southampton stay. Exeter Pax figures could provide an opening for somebody....Eastern or BMI Regional as does Cork which Jet 2 seem to have dropped.

Jet 2 have reduced Murcia from 6 weekly to 5 next summer replacing the Friday rotation with Funchal.

GrahamK
5th Dec 2013, 07:54
Anyone bound for Exeter will probably transfer to easyJet to BRS I'd imagine

GrahamK
5th Dec 2013, 08:08
Who is the series of Wick-NCL-EMA and v.v flights operating for? Seems to be operated by Loganair

HH6702
5th Dec 2013, 21:42
Well the above is to start Leeds to Southampton when flybe pulls off

Looks like they aren't going to try Exeter or not yet

fa2fi
5th Dec 2013, 23:11
I saw BRS-LBA-Wick with Loganair. I asdumed it was a cargo flight. I wonder if it's the same as the flights coming through Newcastle. But I can't think of what freight would be on such a route.

SWBKCB
6th Dec 2013, 05:45
The NCL-Wick flights have been Dornier 328's, so not cargo I would have thought.

fa2fi
6th Dec 2013, 07:11
I see, I keep forgetting they have the Do328. Maybe oil related? The BRS departure I saw left at around 23:00, with a stop at LBA would put them arriving in Wick at 01:30-02:00. I can't imagine there's and copter flights to the oil fields then and no oil worker I know would want to spend an extra night away from home. I'm intrigued now!

CentreFix25
6th Dec 2013, 07:58
Could it not be extra mail capacity for this time of the year, I'm sure something similar has happened in the past.

Jamesair
9th Dec 2013, 16:45
Flybe have given us an extra frequency Mon - Fri to Belfast City, making 3 daily.

Kev 1
9th Dec 2013, 18:19
Flybe are updating their timetable currently, which will actually show a reduction to once daily once complete from the new year (most likely upgraded to E195 for the summer schedules).

HH6702
9th Dec 2013, 18:37
So are we now stating that flybe will operate NCL-BHD 1x daily using the EMB190?

If so why are they even trying to keep the route? No good for the business
May as well just give up and let easyjet do Belfast with no competition

Jamesair
10th Dec 2013, 10:53
I was quoting from the newly updated timetable which shows the 3 flights. However, if what you say is correct, I agree with the comments made by HH6702.

HH6702
10th Dec 2013, 11:16
flybe

jamesair ive just been looking at that. Timetable shows 3 daily flights but only 1 is bookable at the minute.

Ive just come across this flight anybody know the airline?

Newcastle - Antalya
Date Route Depart Arrive Flight No.
Tue 12 Aug 14 Newcastle to Antalya 15:55 22:15 TBA2509
Tue 19 Aug 14 Antalya to Newcastle 23:15 01:55 TBA2559

_IRL_Flyer
10th Dec 2013, 12:09
Newcastle - Antalya
Date Route Depart Arrive Flight No.
Tue 12 Aug 14 Newcastle to Antalya 15:55 22:15 TBA2509
Tue 19 Aug 14 Antalya to Newcastle 23:15 01:55 TBA2559

This flight is for Thomson/First Choice. There is no airline yet. TBA is "To be Advised". They are probably still trying to find an airline to operate this flight.

Hull City AFC
10th Dec 2013, 18:30
Newcastle have gained a rotation to/from Palma next Summer from Thomsons - using the aircraft availability from the dropped W service to/from MME. Clearly Thomson want to keep capacity in the North East.

Tuesday
LBA - PMI - 07:25 - 11:05 TOM3250
PMI - NCL - 12:15 - 14:05 TOM1205
NCL - PMI - 15:20 - 19:00 TOM1204
PMI - LBA - 20:15 - 22:00 TOM3251

LBIA
10th Dec 2013, 18:57
Get ready to meet and say hello to the Leeds based Canadian Sunwing crews.

JonnyH
10th Dec 2013, 18:59
If TOM aren't wanting to do that above AYT rotation, it'll be most likely that Onur or Freebird could pick it up.

TOM have had that slot for a few years, iirc, so quite surprised they're giving it up.

HH6702
10th Dec 2013, 21:29
Looking at the timetable section of their website the following is shown

Pmi based aircraft morning flight
Not shown (w) ?
The turkey flight isn't shown at all?
Zante is new for this year

Maybe the pmi is going to change to a (w) from Leeds?
Move the ZTH flight the morning allowing the Turkish flight late afternoon

I see that BRS is to get the ibz which normally went down the road to Teesside

Hull City AFC
10th Dec 2013, 21:37
Have you gone blind HH6702? Information regarding the new Palma flight has clearly been posted in post #4467

HH6702
10th Dec 2013, 21:45
Sorry NOT blind!!!

However I'm stating that the website timetable doesn't back that up at the minute

Where did you get that info from?

I was then stating that the based aircraft in the morning must be going to change to the Greece or Turkish flight as if not the flights shown as operating by TOM don't fit into the times of 3 based aircraft unless we have a 4th for one day which I doubt is going to happen!!!

I doubt we will be seeing 2 pmi's on a Tuesday from NCL
So what I'm saying is it may not be an extra pmi flight but a reshuffle of the flights we already have

Changing the Palma from a based ncl aircraft to a w from the Leeds based

Hull City AFC
10th Dec 2013, 21:55
If you say so.

Do a dummy booking & see for yourself regarding the 2 flights on a Tuesday. Thomson clearly want to keep custom in the NE & they see them working even if you don't.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2nteql2.png

HH6702
10th Dec 2013, 22:47
Thanks for that as this morning it was only bringing up the based flight when I tried.

Well Tuesdays based flights still don't fit

Jamesair
11th Dec 2013, 16:28
I read that business people in Exeter are complaining about the loss of the link to NCL, one says that the flights are always packed when he travels. I hope Eastern or maybe Loganair have noted that.

SWBKCB
11th Dec 2013, 16:36
We use the EXT route from the NCL end, and I've never heard it described as packed. Route hasn't been helped by the somewhat random timings etc. Quite a lot of ours end up on the EZY BRS when the BE schedule doesn't fit.

JonnyH
11th Dec 2013, 16:49
PMI had one TOM weekday in the summer that was twice daily. So not impossible.

The rest were once daily if I remember correctly.

fjencl
11th Dec 2013, 17:15
Maybe bmi regional could look at operating this NCL-EXT route as part of there future developments at NCL.

HH6702
11th Dec 2013, 19:08
I think that bmi regional have the wrong type of aircraft to make Exeter work but i hope I'm wrong. Eastern will be a better fit.

Thomson plan was to have 2 flights on a Saturday one by the based aircraft and a w using jetair and a Thursday Also using the jetair aircraft. However I can't find these jetair flights anymore.

It would be nice to see 2 flights again in the same day from Thomson

Hull City AFC
11th Dec 2013, 21:00
The second Saturday flight seems to have changed from Jetair to be operated by Newcastle based Thomson airframe.

2 flights on the same day? Peak august sees 3 on a Saturday :)

http://i40.tinypic.com/qskviv.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2v8qolt.jpg

HH6702
11th Dec 2013, 21:59
Hull FC thanks for that update
I wonder if the lakes and mountain flights to Verona are still goin ahead on a Saturday or has that flight been dropped now.

Will take a look tomorrow on how these flights fit into 3 based aircraft

GrahamK
12th Dec 2013, 18:08
I see KLM are scheduling a 737-900 into NCL tomorrow lunchtime. Not often they send that in :ok:

fl dutchman
12th Dec 2013, 22:36
The rest of the flights tommorrow are on 738s.

Ph1l1pncl
13th Dec 2013, 01:54
The 1 millionth passenger on the Newcastle to Dubai route flew today 12th December according to the airports twitter feed.

SWBKCB
13th Dec 2013, 06:08
Emirates celebrates one million passengers (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/news/10874585.Emirates_celebrates_one_million_passengers/)

EK77WNCL
13th Dec 2013, 20:57
Brilliant news

LiamNCL
15th Dec 2013, 18:55
anybody know what TCX9914 is tomorrow ?

mbcxharm
16th Dec 2013, 11:56
One of the 'Flight of Dreams' series like this one:-

Thomas Cook Airlines takes disadvantaged children on 'flight of dreams' (http://m.travelweekly.co.uk/Article.aspx?cat=news&id=46343)

GrahamK
16th Dec 2013, 22:34
November Provisional Stats:

Gatwick 6787 -5%
Heathrow 40457 -2%
Aberdeen 2736 -9%
Belfast City 3252 +6%
Belfast Int 16576 -10%
Birmingham 788 -17%
Bristol 16279 +2%
Southampton 7474 -9%

Copenhagen 1648
Paris CDG 11372 -4%
Dusseldorf 3156 +7%
Dublin 13879 +20%
Amsterdam 27894 +17%
Stavanger 1841 -8%
Dubai 16220 +24% 63.1% Average load

4.4m pax for the rolling year, up 1%. Still plenty of room for growth on Dubai

VickersVicount
16th Dec 2013, 22:56
Loads wise is NCL the worst performing of all the UK EK routes? Wonder how QR at EDI will affect it. Seems NCL has taken longest to get the EK 'millionth' passenger. Mmm. Where are the long haul pax going- still KL or BA or using MAN ?

Jamesair
16th Dec 2013, 23:11
The November Dubai figure seems to represent about 50 extra pax per flight on Nov 12, it will be interesting to see how Dec. figure comes out, starting from a higher base number in 2012 (14,970). OCT/NOV were the two worst months in 2012.

Dublin was up 20%. Does anyone know what sort of loads the new EIR flights are carrying?

SWBKCB
17th Dec 2013, 05:49
Loads wise is NCL the worst performing of all the UK EK routes? Wonder how QR at EDI will affect it. Seems NCL has taken longest to get the EK 'millionth' passenger. Mmm. Where are the long haul pax going- still KL or BA or using MAN ?

Blimey - talk about glass half empty!

Newcastle is the smallest airport with the smallest catchment area of any UK EK destination, so hardly surprising.

DXB though is getting more pax than CDG, DUB or SOU and is almost as popular as BRS or Belfast and continues to grow. And we haven't mentioned cargo.

The service has come a long way in a short time.

HH6702
17th Dec 2013, 05:57
Good increase in pax 24% over 2012

Yes it will be nice to see what December figures bring but I'm more interested in what next years brings lets hope we are still getting double figure increases!

Don't think that Qatar service from edb will effect NCL that much to be honest.

EK77WNCL
17th Dec 2013, 21:10
I think that Dubai will continue go from strength to strength from everywhere, not only because of the connections that they offer from every corner of the planet (basically) but also because O&D is increasing drastically, and once again with Expo 2020 etc I will not be surprised if by then London has 10+ daily A380's and a few 777's thrown in to LHR/LGW/STN, MAN will go 4 daily with 2/3 A380's, BHX will get an A380 and maybe 3 daily, GLA will get an A380 and hopefully NCL will get 2 daily, DUB will get an A380 and 2/3 daily and I'm confident we'll see EDI, CWL and maybe BFS thrown in there too. We have the potential to get an A380 but I don't think the airport will invest in the necessary terminal upgrades.

December should be good, Christmas traffic, Christmas getaways, the world#d largest fireworks display in Dubai for new year may add 10-20 passengers. Every little helps. No flight on Christmas day again though.

GrahamK
18th Dec 2013, 09:40
EI Regional taking over the Cork route, 4 x weekly using ATR72 from S14

GayFriendly
18th Dec 2013, 09:49
EK77WNCL - I really admire your positivity but speaking as a BHX local I can tell you that our flights to DXB are now (after a dip last year when MAN saw so much Middle East expansion) between 80-90% LF monthly and there is not even a sniff of the A380 or a third daily service. I think you have a long way to go before there is even a second daily service at NCL let alone an A380. GLA was rumoured by EK themselves for the A380 but perhaps the new QR ops at EDI have put paid to that for now.

Remember it's how much people are paying to fly, how full the front end is and how much cargo carried that all help route profitability, not simply the numbers of pax carried.

Boris1
18th Dec 2013, 14:20
Upgrading of a flight to bigger equipment is more that just a case of 'oh they had a good month or 2, lets put an A380 on that route'. Take into consideration operating costs, fuel, tax, maintainence, crew costs (A380s carry more crew) the list goes on. Putting an A380 into an Airport of NCLs size (by modern standards, rather small) would be nothing short of stupidity by EK. Luckily, their CEO has good brains, wits and knowledge, and isn't a 'dreamer'.

NCL is a 5 million pax a year airport, with 1 long haul flight, with a current load factor (after 6 years of operation i think it is now) of 63/4%. Upgrading the airport to handle an A380, which would have an even smaller LF, and would be payload restricted anyway (as NCL aren't gonna extend the runway for 1 airline) would be a disaster. I think a few need to stop 'dreaming' of seeing an A380 land at NCL, it will likely never happen. If you want to see one, head down the road to MAN, or down to LHR where there are a load of them!

So as it stands, NCL does not have A380 potential, and likely will never have it, thats just life. London Airports take priority, then the likes of MAN etc. NCL is way down in the pecking order. Be grateful it receives a daily 777!

GrahamK
18th Dec 2013, 14:35
Now now Boris, i think everyone appreciates that the only likely chance of seeing an A380 at NCL would be a last resort diversion. EK and the airport themselves understand the market (i hope!) and the 777 allows the route to continue with some modest growth, its well beyond an A330 route now.

EK77WNCL
18th Dec 2013, 16:11
GayFriendly/Boris1,

To reiterate I was quoting a 2013-2020 timeframe.

NCL does have A380 potential as an airport (it can handle one) but in terms of pax/cargo demand it would be stupid. Too much pax capacity, not enough cargo capacity.

Jamesair
18th Dec 2013, 16:30
I think we should be congratulating EI REGIONAL for picking up the CORK route and increasing its frequency, otherwise that would have been another lost route.

SWBKCB
18th Dec 2013, 17:16
Is it confirmed that Cork is Atr72? Not mentioned in the press release.

GrahamK
18th Dec 2013, 18:05
The expansion includes a new Aer Lingus Regional service to Newcastle, which will operate four times per week, the airline’s Manchester service will increase from two to three times daily, the Bristol services will go double daily and there will also be increased flights to Rennes in France. These services will be operated by a new generation ATR72 aircraft which Aer Lingus Regional will take delivery of in time for Summer 2014.

There ya go SWKBCB ;)

SWBKCB
18th Dec 2013, 18:44
Ah, cheers - never thought of looking at the other end!

Boris1
18th Dec 2013, 20:12
EK777NCL

NCL Can not handle the A380, even as a diversion. The airport is the incorrect fire category for A380 ops, does not have the sufficient equipment, IE Airstairs, Fire engine ladder platforms etc, big enough to take an A380, separation distances between terminal and aircraft, or gate facilities (IE Gates big enough, sufficient amount of Jetbridges etc) to take an A380.

I would love for you to share where you get your information regarding 'NCL can take an A380' as the above things that i have mentioned are only a fraction of the reasons why NCL can not take an A380.

Mnj1
18th Dec 2013, 20:21
I think the 'A380 info' may have came from Wikipedia, a case of 'hmmm the runway is within limits etc (doubtful), we can take it.......'

highwideandugly
18th Dec 2013, 20:51
Don't know much but guess fire cat.is not a problem..as they can easily achieve that with the equipment they have? Also steps etc no problem...I know a couple of AN124 s have been in so really not really much problem on taxiways,parking etc.

Now demand....that's a different matter,and speaking from DTVs point of view where we can't Evan fill a jetstream, I just wish we could have that discussion!:ugh:

EK77WNCL
18th Dec 2013, 20:51
I am aware of all of the aforementioned problems handling an A380.

Would you care to inform me as to what the fire cover of NCL is.

Ringwayman
18th Dec 2013, 21:13
NCL's website states:

Fire cover Category 8

MAN is Category 10

Website giving the breakdown of categories (http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Rescue_and_Fire_Fighting_Services)
NCL can, therefore, handle: length of aircraft between 49m and 61m long

HH6702
18th Dec 2013, 21:30
OMG..... How many posts ?????

This is What i think and im sure that EK77WNCL probs thinks the same as me??

7 YEARS AGO - people stated that EK would not work daily from NCL
As of DEC 2013 we STILL have EK daily! FACT!!

Around 5 years ago People have said NCL would never be able to cope with 777 daily?
As of DEC 2013 we NOW have daily 777's ops!
Loads now improving well due to the aircraft type and product!

What WILL happen next

EK themselves have stated with the loads and cargo improving all the time we would expect to see a second daily service into NCL by late 2015 early 2016!

In around 25 years time YES I said 25 !!
The airport may need to expand the runway and taxiways to provide areas for different types of aircraft and this could include aircraft like the A380

One day NCL may see the A380 however I don't think I will be seeing the aircraft land in my life hopefully my children may get to see that.

Think what we need to be thinking is NEVER say it will NEVER happen.
We can always hope....

We are all HOPING that the American Airlines are watching EK growth at NCL and we can hope that if Dubai can work then the link to the USA can work just as well...

Newcastle one day will be the dreams we have today, however it will be enjoyed by our children not us in the years to come