PDA

View Full Version : NEWCASTLE - 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

GrahamK
23rd Feb 2013, 06:05
Annual money pick up I'd say

Jamesair
23rd Feb 2013, 08:48
The video on post 3499 showed the money being ferried out to the a/c.

vectisman
23rd Feb 2013, 10:07
Whilst waiting for my BA Newcastle-Heathrow flight yesterday I was able to observe the loading of the Kuwait Airways plane. Security was evident and lots of people involved to get the job done quickly. The airbus left about 30 minutes before we did. Incidentally the flight crew of the inbound flight were passengers on our flight to Heathrow. I expect they were going to have some rest before operating from Heathrow. Not sure why they didnt simply return as 'passengers' on their own plane, unless they are rules against this. It was a passenger plane with only the holds being used for its precious cargo.
Also 2 Flybe cabin crew flew to Heathrow too as passengers which was unusual especially as a Flybe Gatwick flight left just minutes before us.

On my recent trip to Newcastle both flights to and from the city were absolutley full with a wide range of passengers. Not bad for midweek February. Must produce good results for BA.

Disappointing that that Gatwick route does not appear so strong. Maybe Flybe are missing a trick. 3 times daily with a jet and competitive fares may appeal to the point to point market abit more. I appreciate BA carry alot of connecting traffic but there were at least 50 point to point on our dlight who collected luggage from reclaim plus others who simply had cabin bags. With good rail connections to London from Gatwick and elsewhere Flybe could I feel do better on this route. I think the chopping and changing of frequency from week to week is partly to blame. I know this may improve their yield but does not help passenger perceptions. With BA I know that on most occasions I have 6 flights a day to choose from with little variation.

V.

SWBKCB
23rd Feb 2013, 10:11
given the armed robbery at Brussels recently, a bit too much discussion/detail for a public forum?

vectisman
23rd Feb 2013, 10:20
SWBKCB (http://www.pprune.org/members/69186-swbkcb)

I think you are worrying too much. I am sure the flight schedule varies from year to year and I am sure there was plenty of security about.

V.

CentreFix25
23rd Feb 2013, 10:36
I think you are worrying too much.

or joking, one of the two :rolleyes:

magicninja
23rd Feb 2013, 13:22
Yeah its a security threat i was told i had to remove the last 1 minute of the video showing loading of cargo as saying what the cargo is a big security threat after the brussels aircraft incident.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8207/img0894i.jpg

Jamesair
23rd Feb 2013, 16:02
That's a great photo you've just posted. Very impressive sight.

magicninja
23rd Feb 2013, 16:19
Thank you very much :)

ballyctid
23rd Feb 2013, 17:00
Hope you don't mean the sheeps bum!

SWBKCB
23rd Feb 2013, 20:31
Quote:
"This announcement should be placed in the context of Newcastle International Airport announcing new routes into Eastern Europe and Scandinavia over the past 12 months, all of which will ease access to new markets for North East businesses,” he said.
Did I miss something or is he talking rubbish?

Talking out of his bottom...

Three 'new routes into Eastern Europe and Scandinavia' have been announced since the start of 2012 - Bergen returned with Flybe (now dropped) Bydgozscz announced by OLT (least said...) and Copenhagen returned with SAS. While CPH is a good addition/re-introduction, doesn't really compensate for losing the Brussels flights.

Heathrow Harry
24th Feb 2013, 08:41
the Kuwait money flight has been known about for years - and what would happen if some local lads knocked it over - a sudden influx of people trying to pay in dinars in the local CIU club or at St James's Park?

They are dinars not dollars and about the only place you can use them is Kuwait

And if you DID try and move it to Kuwait you'd have the same problems as the Central Bank of Kuwait - a lot of notes takes up a lot of space ......... that was one of the problems with the Great Train Robbery.....

CentreFix25
24th Feb 2013, 08:49
Well said Harry. The fact that the last 60 seconds of footage was ordered to be taken down, of a normal freight loading procedure is also laughable.

Jamesair
24th Feb 2013, 16:10
Ballyctid.....I don't know!....I was waiting for somebody to make a comment like that... It just had to happen....I did have a laugh though :)

jensdad
25th Feb 2013, 22:43
Quote (the SSK): Theirs is a highly distortive business model and I fear the worst.

Might not be a massive factor, but one thing that definitely was distortive was Newcastle Airport's trumpeting of arrival of EK as if it was providing links to places that were previously unserved from NCL. I remember statements about how you can 'now' fly to Thailand , Japan, China etc from NCL, and thinking that BA,KL,AF can't be too happy to hear that as they had being going there one-stop from NCL for decades.
The result being that, even now, when a lot of people want to go from NCL to BKK for example, the 1st website they will go to will be EK's.

While we are on the subject of airport spokespeople talking out of their arse, I also remember in the same era a member of NCL's press team talking about Bulgaria as an 'exciting new destination' or some such bull, because Thomson or TCX had just started flying there. I remember going to NCL on a Saturday morning to see the Balkan Tu154 when I was about 8! (now 40!!).

(and the TAROM Tu154 round about the same time, them were the days :ok: )

ash666
26th Feb 2013, 00:46
EK is one of the last ones I look at, I hate my journey being split in the middle.

10 DME ARC
26th Feb 2013, 05:13
EK - the number of one stop destinations has rocketed with EK DXB, and its not just all the smaller Indian, Pakistani and African destinations what about PER, SYD, BNE and I could go on. I have friends and family in PER and it has significantly reduced flight home times. In fact one friend has started going back to UK again because the NE is one stop away!!
I have family in Northumbria Uni and before EK most Far East students arrived in UK via Manchester or London airports!! Since EK most arrive in NCL with EK.

BRU - Whilst it is sad to see go has always struggled! Even in the days of SN it was the DL US connections which topped up the route. You cannot blame EK for taking pax's from the couple of African destinations BEL offer! BEL BRU hub is nothing KLM or BA cannot offer! A smaller aircraft, bak to Say E135, with a push on Business then this might just work!

JKKne
26th Feb 2013, 13:56
Censorship of that A340 cargo video is maddening.

I imagine the whole of the North East knows exactly what Thomas De La Rue on the Team Valley does, they've been there for decades!

They aren't exactly sublte either when the building is flying the Kuwaiti flag like it was doing last week

CentreFix25
26th Feb 2013, 20:12
I'd love to know who actually asked it to be censored.

magicninja
26th Feb 2013, 21:35
I cant say that either :)

skyman771
26th Feb 2013, 23:15
Ash666
EK is one of the last ones I look at, I hate my journey being split in the middle.
It's simply a matter of choice, & often down to convenience, but it is the only way one can reach Aus "one stop" albeit Perth.
As for BA, then they lost me a few years ago, insofar as I'm concerned they have a legacy of unreliability & I have a long memory of the truely dreadful facilities in the previous T1. Now replaced by onerous transfer hassle from T5 if your onward flight takes in other carriers, not to mention the potential take off delays :( all in all now not even in same ball park as CDG & AMS.

ash666
27th Feb 2013, 05:51
I go to visit relatives in Bangkok and can't find an ideal way. I use Air France now which is ok but a huge amount of time hanging around the hell-hole of CDG, especially when they send you an email the day before telling you to go to the wrong terminal for the 2nd flight. I told them about that and thy still do it.
I started with KLM but they double booked my seat on the return journey and wouldn't let me on (a paid and confirmed seat!!) and when I complained at the desk in AMS they literally laughed in my face and said, "of course we double book the seats".
Si I tried China Airlines but they let me down badly during the ash cloud time so I don't use them any more.
Tried EK once and hated the break in the middle.
So then down to LHR for EVA who were excellent but get back just a bit too late to get the last train back from London and tried driving once but how I kept my eyes open for the return drive I'll never know.
Would it be impossible to do NCL-BKK even weekly with a 777?

The SSK
27th Feb 2013, 07:56

Yes

I know I was pessimistic about the LHR, AMS, CDG connections in the medium term (and I still am), but I would say there is a strong likelihood that NCL is starting to appear on THY's radar screen as a daily spoke into the Istanbul hub. Their service quality is as good as any of the Gulf carriers.

CabinCrewe
27th Feb 2013, 18:35
not impossible but with zero pax and cargo to allow take-off from a short field wouldnt really be worth anyones while !

Skipness One Echo
27th Feb 2013, 18:37
There are no airlines I could think of who would offer this. They would be competing with daily connections charged at less.

ConstantFlyer
27th Feb 2013, 19:25
There are no airlines I could think of who would offer this.

What a shame that airlines like Eva Air operate into Heathrow. Their daily Taipei-Bangkok-Heathrow 77W flights could just as easily channel their UK-bound pax through a regional airport. It is operations like these that NCL could usefully go after if the runway is ever lengthened to cope. In the meantime, maybe MAN/BHX/EDI could step in and create a BKK link. Eva presumably only needs to top up at BKK as most pax will be LHR/TPE-bound.

Ringwayman
27th Feb 2013, 21:00
looking at the number of passengers reported by the CAA going LHR <--> Taiwan, it looks like EVA actually needs to fly via BKK to generate full aircraft.

VentureGo
1st Mar 2013, 18:13
Surprised to find Norwegian fares from Manchester to Oslo as low as £70 one way (£160 rtn) - Stockholm was similarly priced - Remember when Newcastle had Braathens flying a 737 to Oslo, & Stavanger via Bergen in the 90's. I'm sure with the low fares offered by Norwegian (compared to the services currently offered) and our close links with business and tourism in Scandanavia, a route network to/from Newcastle could be successful- especially with lack of ferry alternative. - Thoughts?

skyman771
10th Mar 2013, 20:18
I'm sure with the low fares offered by Norwegian (compared to the services currently offered) and our close links with business and tourism in Scandinavia, a route network to/from Newcastle could be successful- especially with lack of ferry alternative. - Thoughts?
You will need to wait & see what's in EZY's plans ;)

SWBKCB
10th Mar 2013, 21:27
My understanding is no expansion planned for NCL from EZY, a bit of tinkering is possible but no major developments.

skyman771
11th Mar 2013, 14:12
SWBKCBMy understanding is no expansion planned for NCL from EZY, a bit of tinkering is possible but no major developments.
No news isn't neccessarily bad news.......;)

VentureGo
11th Mar 2013, 18:47
BRAATHENS 737 at Newcastle Airport when they served daily routes to Oslo, Stavanger and Bergen. Braathens SAFE Boeing 737 pictures, free use image, 20-01-2 by FreeFoto.com (http://www.freefoto.com/preview/20-01-2/Braathens-SAFE-Boeing-737)

VentureGo
11th Mar 2013, 18:59
Advertising on Newcastle Metro train promoting Braathens Norway services. There was also heavy poster advertisements promoting tourism and business links.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3442/3871444303_85cd8e1b92_m.jpg

ash666
11th Mar 2013, 19:00
It's a pity they didn't last longer.

HH6702
11th Mar 2013, 19:01
Could the rumours be a 4th based aircraft from July to cover some of the extra flying they have picked up from a holiday company??

Or is another A319 going to become a A320??

fa2fi
11th Mar 2013, 19:14
First I've heard of it. I've not heard of any crew being recruited or transferred or or any plans to do so. But I for one hope it is true!

alex207
11th Mar 2013, 21:23
any new routes that Easyjet could operate? maybe Berlin?Madrid?Milan? Some canary island etc?

SWBKCB
11th Mar 2013, 21:30
First I've heard of it. I've not heard of any crew being recruited or transferred or or any plans to do so.

I'll second that :D :D

skyman771
12th Mar 2013, 08:56
SWBKCB I'll second that :D:D:ugh::ugh:

H6702 Could the rumours be a 4th based aircraft from July to cover some of the extra flying they have picked up from a holiday company??

Or is another A319 going to become a A320??

Hmmmmm.......;)

magicninja
13th Mar 2013, 18:01
Utair TU-154 in today:

Utair TU-154 - Newcastle airport (RA-85057) - YouTube

Jamesair
16th Mar 2013, 17:15
Another interesting vid....keep posting

Jamesair
16th Mar 2013, 17:48
A good second month with pax at 241,060 up 1.1% on Feb 2012. A pity that the BA Heathrow was 5% down with all the cancelled flights during the month, which would have resulted in a bigger monthly increase.

AMSTERDAM.....24,289 + 22% (PLUS EZY)
FARO............... 3,328 + 18%
MALTA............. 2,294 + 6%
DUBAI..............14,065 + 6%
MALAGA........... 7,719 + 40%
ARRECIFE......... 2,743 + 127%
TENERIFE......... 4,906 + 69%

BRUSSELS........ 3,087 - 13%
PARIS CDG....... 10,262 - 22% (MINUS EZY)
DUSSELDORF.... 2,341 - 24%
DUBLIN............ 10,406 - 17%
BARCELONA...... 4,189 -13%
STAVANGER...... 1,669 -14%
BERGEN............ 421 - 24%

ABERDEEN........ 2,567 + 27% (MORE FLIGHTS PLUS LARGER A/C)
BFS INT........... 16,622 + 5%
EXETER............ 2,339 + 82%

HEATHROW....... 36,973 - 5% (MANY CANCELLED FLIGHTS)
BFS CITY.......... 2,238 - 21%
BIRMINGHAM..... 714 - 36%
CARDIFF........... 979 - 19%

Heathrow Harry
16th Mar 2013, 18:42
what amazes me is that Dubai is third after LHR & AMS - thats a lot of traffic bypassing London

SWBKCB
16th Mar 2013, 20:24
HEATHROW....... 36,973 - 5% (MANY CANCELLED FLIGHTS)

what amazes me is that Dubai is third after LHR & AMS - thats a lot of traffic bypassing London

Coincidence?

:suspect:

Jamesair
16th Mar 2013, 21:44
A point to keep in mind on the comparisons, Feb 2012 was a leap year with one extra day which makes all the figures look worse.

Heathrow was 44,701 in March 2012 which I think was a record on the route. Will March 2013 equal or exceed this?

April 2013 figures will take a hit with brussels dropping out but will, of course include Copenhagen.

cornishsimon
16th Mar 2013, 22:18
any more suggestions about the EZY extra based aircraft and or routes for it ?

cs

fa2fi
16th Mar 2013, 23:02
I'd say probably not. No extra crew recruited this year. If it is true it would be next summer at the earliest. I'd say this won't be happening any time soon, but stranger things have happened!

CentreFix25
17th Mar 2013, 09:06
...agreed. Most people will have already made plans for this year.

Sam Chipperfield
17th Mar 2013, 10:26
I can't imagine Easyjet basing a 4th Aircraft, The Summer starts in 2 weeks Time for the likes of Easyjet, Jet2 etc and all of the Summer stuff has been sorted way in advance

EKCH2730
17th Mar 2013, 15:30
Quote:
I'm sure with the low fares offered by Norwegian (compared to the services currently offered) and our close links with business and tourism in Scandinavia, a route network to/from Newcastle could be successful- especially with lack of ferry alternative. - Thoughts?

You will need to wait & see what's in EZY's plans

Are we talking about a possible re-introduction of the route to CPH - this is the only Scandinavian route I can see as real possibility for EZY out of NCL... I would not be surprised to see them go head-to-head with SAS and six months later SAS is gone from NCL again.

HH6702
17th Mar 2013, 19:54
EKCH2730

This is what P***** me off with the likes of easyjet, and Ryanair and to a certain extent jet2!!

They start routes that others already serve knowing well that in a few months time the other airline will pull out and they will be left solely on the route
However they then pull the route too leaving no one to serve the airport at all from the north east!!

I wish and hope they don't restart CPH! As we all know what will happen 12 months down the line Newcastle won't serve CPH anymore!!

Easyjet should start and try a brand new route like Madrid or Lisbon !!
Even just 2 x weekly..

Easyjet starting jersey has already made less choice for ncl since flybe have pulled the route on certain days

VentureGo
17th Mar 2013, 19:54
Quote:

Quote:

You will need to wait & see what's in EZY's plans
Are we talking about a possible re-introduction of the route to CPH - this is the only Scandinavian route I can see as real possibility for EZY out of NCL... I would not be surprised to see them go head-to-head with SAS and six months later SAS is gone from NCL again.
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=7746399) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7746399&noquote=1)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhbBFug0lNcyOLFwrElgi9kcowlaT4_pIjLAf74hK QYbYgWlxh
More likely Norwegian Air Shuttle - Now, a low cost operation, who have grown substantially to other UK cities (by passing NCL!) - although Braathens successfully operated Daily Boeing 737 services to Oslo, Stavanger & Bergen to feed their hubs charging "regular" fares ( before LCC)

alex207
17th Mar 2013, 20:40
Why cant Newcastle have some NEW routes? I feel Milan malpensa would be very popular along with maybe a route to Brittany in France from flybe as it is a popular holidaying area?

easyflyer83
17th Mar 2013, 21:15
Regardless of airline you have to realise that if LIS, MAD etc were potentially lucrative then airlines would operate them. Just because an airline decides to go where there is a strong market and where there is an incumbent doesn't automatically mean that the incumbent will pull off the route. There are countless routes where the newcomer, has grown the market or developed it's own niche. Besides, fostering monopolies isn't always the best for the consumer and I think we all realise that.

Now, from a supporter of an airports point of view I get where you are coming from. Of course you want to see new destinations but growing an airports network (as far as a vanity project goes) just isn't the airlines remit. As a business they have to follow the best returns and why should they take a hit on those returns (or even make a loss) just so you can see Madrid, Milan, Lisbon etc etc on your departure screens.

From an airport operators point of view, of course they want to grow their network so it is up to them to incentivise. Some airports provide incentive to new routes and often do their own research. Depending on that research they lobby the airlines. I'm not sure whether NCL has done this. If so, perhaps there just isn't a sizable market for Madrid, Milan or Lisbon??? I don't know.

Jamesair
17th Mar 2013, 23:53
I think this is one of the reason we have got the Copenhagen route again because Copenhagen airport was/are offering incentives to airlines for new routes from the airport.

HH6702
18th Mar 2013, 09:21
I know what your saying the market may grow more but it won't easyjet aircraft are too big and they won't stay on the route long term and we will loose the link altogether FACT!!

Why not let SAS grow the market an maybe get 2 x daily using there smaller aircraft.

Easyjet to Milan would be nice a route that did well for Ryanair however they could make money using the aircraft to Manchester instead.

heslop2006
18th Mar 2013, 11:57
As daft as I may sound, a flight that might be useful to NCL knowing from experience of my brother and his colleagues (a lot from our region) would be a flight to one of the oil rig places like Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan like Aberdeen have ...

EZY - I wish they would explore a little bit, I mean instead of Copenhagen why not go slightly north to Stockholm for example?

FR - I don't really think they have much interest in Newcastle? It's seems over the past few years to have tried and failed on routes Milan and Oslo

Richard Taylor
18th Mar 2013, 16:20
As daft as I may sound, a flight that might be useful to NCL knowing from experience of my brother and his colleagues (a lot from our region) would be a flight to one of the oil rig places like Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan like Aberdeen have ...

Or had...............

alex207
18th Mar 2013, 18:01
What about some new routes from Flybe or Jet2?

easyflyer83
18th Mar 2013, 19:15
What I don't get is why you are so confident that EZY would drop the route. As an airline, routes do have to perform but they don't really cut routes on a wholesale basis. Far from it. SK may well do a good job on the route but they are still on their arse meaning that, IMO, they present a higher risk of failing the route.

CentreFix25
18th Mar 2013, 19:16
They're not even going to start it in the first place - it's all pie in the sky.

HH6702
18th Mar 2013, 19:53
Krakow for example jet2 started the route so easyjet came on the route. Jet2 dropped the route and 6months later easyjet dropped the route.

The figures were ok but couldn't hold 2 airlines on the route so now ncl wasn't served to krakow until jet2 give it another shot.

Do you really want me to list the routes easyjet have started then dropped
If I've missed any please tell add

London stansted
Berlin
Krakow
Copenhagen
Paris - route did well so why drop it and add ams?

Did I miss any??

Sorry if I'm on one but I don't want easyjet chasing SAS out of ncl have some balls easyjet and start something new like Stockholm or Milan even the long shot Kazakhstan !!!

CentreFix25
18th Mar 2013, 19:57
Kazakhstan

This is a wind up - right? I must stop coming here :ugh:

alex207
18th Mar 2013, 19:58
would flybe be able to do a malpensa route?

HH6702
18th Mar 2013, 20:01
Can't see any new routes from flybe! Flybe and Ryanair don't like ncl for some reason it's all talk and nothing even comes from these talks

Jet2 can't see anything else maybe a few extra flights this winter and hopefully more of these special trips to Russia and Iceland etc.
The next big hope for them will be summer 2014 !!!

Summer 2014 will go on sale next month so hopefully not to long to wait to see what plans they have!!!

alex207
18th Mar 2013, 20:08
I know what you mean about Flybe and Ryanair. When do easyjet launch their winter 2013/2014 schedules?

HH6702
18th Mar 2013, 20:17
Next 4-6 weeks for winter normally

HH6702
18th Mar 2013, 20:19
Another one I had missed was

Rome.. Easyjet did well on this route but dropped it

Rome seems to be working well for jet2!

alex207
18th Mar 2013, 20:24
Rome is a big tourist city so no wonder its doing well! And Prague another route easyjet operated that Jet2 do now that seems to be going well.

HH6702
18th Mar 2013, 20:34
Alex207 - can you see why I don't want easyjet to add CPH because of there record of pulling routes once the competition has gone?

Easyjet at there height at ncl had 7 based aircraft and they could have made those aircraft work better for themselves but instead they offered daily flights to everywhere and yes they did lose money. However they could have changed there ways like what they do now and kept the 7 aircraft and had a route list of well 30 dest from ncl.

Jet2 saw an opening in the market at ncl and well done to them. They have invested in setting up routes and have cleaned up what once was all easyjets!!
Lets hope that the success that jet2 has had at ncl continues and they try new routes where others wouldn't!!

Remember we all said daily to Dubai it will never work and it has now a daily 777!!

So lets all remember we need airlines like jet2 to set up these routes and give them 12 months and see if people in the north east can give them a go!!

alex207
18th Mar 2013, 20:40
I absolutely agree with you on the CPH easyjet is great to see SAS at NCL and i hope they do you great and NCL! I just had the idea with the leeds bradford-brussels route ending a aircraft is going to be spare maybe a NCL base for BMI regional ??? Frankfurt could be on the closer horizon for NCL?

SWBKCB
18th Mar 2013, 20:52
Easyjet to Milan would be nice a route that did well for Ryanair however they could make money using the aircraft to Manchester instead.

FR - I don't really think they have much interest in Newcastle? It's seems over the past few years to have tried and failed on routes Milan and Oslo

Flybe and Ryanair don't like ncl for some reason it's all talk and nothing even comes from these talks

Rome.. Easyjet did well on this route but dropped it

does make you wonder how big EZY and FR would be if only they took on board the collective wisdom and commercial acumen of the contributors to this thread.:{ :{

alex207
18th Mar 2013, 21:14
HH6702- Saw you posted a message in the BMI regional thread in January saying that bmi may be starting a NCL base?

HH6702
18th Mar 2013, 21:16
I agree the wisdom of us all!!!

Easyjet had 5 based aircraft before jet2 came along. Jet2 now have 6 easyjet 3!
Easyjet plan back in 2003 was 8 based aircraft within 10 years

If easyjet hadn't made it easy for jet2 and kept CPH and Berlin they could have achieve more say 10 based aircraft at ncl and making a lot more money than they do now

Jamesair
18th Mar 2013, 23:46
alex207...The information of BMI Regional was based on a statement made by the company saying that Newcastle featured in its future plans

anthbower1234
19th Mar 2013, 09:12
Can anyone confirm what types are being based this year and numbers?:cool:

HH6702
19th Mar 2013, 09:14
Tcx

2 x 757 and a least A320

TOM

3x 738

alex207
19th Mar 2013, 15:37
ahh i see what possible routes could BMI regional offer?:ooh:

deltahotel9
19th Mar 2013, 16:10
Who is providing the leased A320, is it SmartLynx again?

HH6702
19th Mar 2013, 17:36
Correct smartlynx also smartlynx to base a320 at lgw for the summer

VickersVicount
19th Mar 2013, 20:00
the extra seats needed to make it profitable ?

SWBKCB
19th Mar 2013, 20:00
BA 319s
I noticed from the local enthusiasts web site that 99% of the BA flights are being operated by the ex Bmi airbuses, anyone know why?

Haven't noticed any - details?

N707ZS
19th Mar 2013, 20:25
Sorry folks been distracted, post should of gone on the LBA thread.

LBIA
19th Mar 2013, 20:45
N707ZS I think you'll find that Leeds/Bradford shuttle flights are mainly operated by the ex bmi airbuses due to them been based out of Heathrow T1, where as the British Airways Airbuses are based mainly over at T5.

Since the service started back in December all Leeds flights have been operated from T1. But this will be changing as of Sunday, March 31st when the flights switch to been operated from T5.

N707ZS
19th Mar 2013, 22:17
Thanks LBIA. Crisis now over.

Ph1l1pncl
20th Mar 2013, 02:44
I absolutely agree with you on the CPH easyjet is great to see SAS at NCL and i hope they do you great and NCL! I just had the idea with the leeds bradford-brussels route ending a aircraft is going to be spare maybe a NCL base for BMI regional ??? Frankfurt could be on the closer horizon for NCL?

BMI regional just announced a Birmingham- Billund route so I don't think that Newcastle will be getting that aircraft. They did announce that NCL would be in its plans but it seems that Bristol has gained the most routes out of BMI.

alex207
21st Mar 2013, 15:32
Well at least on the bright side on Tuesday Easyjets service to Jersey starts! Shame about BMI :*

SWBKCB
21st Mar 2013, 17:22
EZY have just announced Copenhagen from EDI (along with 5 other routes), so would be surprised if they offered it from NCL as well.

alex207
21st Mar 2013, 21:09
How has the the copenhagen route been doing?

SWBKCB
26th Mar 2013, 20:50
Quite a bit of press today around the new Jersey service and easyJet's tenth anniversary at NCL. Usual PR fluff, but this is an interesting comment...

Newcastle Airport’s operations director Richard Knight said: “The market’s quite young for low-cost travel, it wasn’t that long ago when we couldn’t afford to go on our summer holidays all over Europe. I think easyJet and other airlines have really opened up those opportunities to people in the North East. easyJet have proven there is a market and that has helped attract other airlines to the region.”

HH6702
26th Mar 2013, 21:09
Yes i agree Easyjet saw a market and opened it up.......from the Northeast
Just a shame they couldnt keep a hold of it.......

HH6702
26th Mar 2013, 21:12
Walking passed the travel agents i see they are starting to take advance booking requests for summer holidays 2014 stating on sale soon.

They normally go on sale last thursday in april.

Anybody heard of any rumours about what the big 2/3 holidays companies have planned so far??

Any rumours of Monarch basing an A320 for Monarch flight only and Cosmos Holidays???

heslop2006
26th Mar 2013, 21:49
An arrival at NCL showing up as

TOM475 SHARM EL SHEIKH & ATHENS 2205 DELAYED PROV 0032

Anyone know why it's going via Athens? :confused:

nclops
27th Mar 2013, 02:41
It diverted to Athens with a tech problem on Monday evening and had to night stop there.

heslop2006
27th Mar 2013, 22:01
Thank you :)

Jamesair
28th Mar 2013, 16:19
There seems to be a series of Hamburg - Newcastle- Teeside flights being operated by Eastern...another one today.

Flybe also seems to have been doing a series of Guernsey flights, another one tomorrow.

Anyone know what these are?

HH6702
28th Mar 2013, 17:41
Any changes for us??

Never had a chance to look and work it out yet

Jamesair
28th Mar 2013, 18:08
Compared to Winter 2012/13

2012/13 in brackets...WEEKLY FREQUENCIES

ALICANTE......5 (5)
AMSTERDAM...4 (5)
BARCELONA....3 (4)
BELFAST.......17 (17)
BRISTOL.......16 (16)
FARO.............2 (3)
GENEVA.........6 (7)
MALAGA.........4 (5)
MALTA...........2 (2)

These reductions could leave scope for a new destination(s)..a total reduction of 5 flights a week.

alex207
29th Mar 2013, 21:30
What Possible route could it do? Could they release it around the same time the announced AMS in late April/May so at the same time as the previous year?

Hostie89
30th Mar 2013, 21:59
The flybe guernsey flights are charters for a football team!

Jamesair
31st Mar 2013, 09:28
Thank you for the info, Hostie.

Wellington Bomber
1st Apr 2013, 19:04
ships crew change I believe

Jamesair
2nd Apr 2013, 10:49
Thanks for the information.

Jamesair
3rd Apr 2013, 16:38
At least we know that Flybe will be operating this route in Summer 2014. It now appears in the timetable.

Captain_Adams
3rd Apr 2013, 16:44
JAMESAIR

DUBAI..............14,065 + 6%

Ok lets do the maths here.

14065 divided by 28 (days in Feb) = 502.

How many seats on a 2 class UAE B77W?

Someone is telling lies.

LAX_LHR
3rd Apr 2013, 16:59
Have you divided by 56 as its both was, not one way.

HH6702
3rd Apr 2013, 22:23
Oh not this again

Loadings 6% up on February 2012
More space for cargo and hopefully see these figures at some point
From what I've heard more business and first class seats sold year on year

Outcome - very good and making money!!

Lets all remember you don't need to fully fill an aircraft to make money!!

Captain_Adams
4th Apr 2013, 09:25
Since when were First Class seats sold on a 2 class aircraft comprising of Business and Economy only?

HH6702
4th Apr 2013, 10:55
I was meaning business type pax is normally full.

Also how many 3 class aircraft have we had so far this year?

OltonPete
4th Apr 2013, 10:57
Captain_Adams

HH6702 is probably using the fact Newcastle get a sigificant amount three class 777's and in fact have not seen any 2 class versions this month at all and at least ten three class in March.

However BHX often sees the three class versions during low season and Ramadan and first is not sold.

The fact that three class versions are used is not a good sign but as it has been pointed out it does not mean that money is not being made.

Emirates at times give out conflicting information that some local loco's would be proud off, saying first is doing well in some markets quickly followed by an article stating it was not required on a lot of routes and after a couple of years of three class versions the majority of the new aircraft in the last six months have been two class.

As for the viability of the NCL route as a two class 428 seat 777 who knows, other than the EK beancounters

Pete

HH6702 - rough count about 30, so one third three class.

SWBKCB
4th Apr 2013, 16:21
From today's Journal (my underlining):

“I’m backing the region to haul itself out of recession,” said Mr Berryman, vice-president of Emirates UK. “We believe in the North East of England.” Launching a new, larger Boeing 777-300ER aircraft on the firm’s daily service to Dubai last September, Mr Berryman said he hoped the route, which in the last five years has helped increase trade between the North East and Australasia from less than £150m a year to more than £275m, might grow by around 15% this year.

But the latest figures suggest businesses and holidaymakers are capitalising on the increased capacity, with the number of flyers in March up by 30% compared to the same period a year ago. If such demand continued, that could mean an extra 24,000 people winging their way to and from the region in 2013, bringing millions of pounds into the local economy.

“March has been excellent, the best we’ve ever had out of Newcastle,” said Mr Berryman. “We carried over 200 tons of cargo from Newcastle for the first time. When you say it like that it doesn’t seem a lot but that’s 200,000kg out of Newcastle in 31 days. I think more and more companies are realising that rather than take products all the way to Heathrow it is much easier to fly from the regions."

“And Newcastle’s catchment area is growing. I’ve been talking to the drivers who bring our business-class passengers to the airport and more and more they are bringing people from the west, places like Carlisle; people are coming to Newcastle rather than heading down to Manchester.”

N707ZS
4th Apr 2013, 17:53
I wonder if the increased APD air passenger duty will harm passenger numbers on the Emirates flight?

SWBKCB
4th Apr 2013, 18:02
Well I doubt there are many flights it's helping...
:*

andrewmcharlton
4th Apr 2013, 21:05
Actually, by way of a tangential plug / opportunity, I have the said Mr Berryman at an event I organise on 17th April at Newcastle Falcons doing a keynote on the importance of the regions and customer service.

Nice bloke, PM me if anyone wants an invitation.

Jamesair
4th Apr 2013, 22:36
Thanks everyone for dealing with the query on my Emirates figures for February.

I'm waiting with great interest for the March figures (one fact that should have helped with the increase is that Easter fell in March this year and in April last year).

HH6702
4th Apr 2013, 23:16
Jamesair

Can't wait to see these figures either... By the sounds of things they should be very good..

Pity we can't compare the cargo month by month !!

Sounds to me the flight is doing very well.

Maybe EK should make NCL a 3 class flight from now on maybe people can afford first class but not business so since first isn't offered and they can't afford business they travel economy class??

Travel Agent
5th Apr 2013, 07:54
Was recently at an event where Laurie Berrymen did a pre-dinner speech about the history and future of Emirates, really fascinating and he seems like a really down to earth bloke.

HH First class is usually a lot more expensive than business so if they cannot afford business they certainly won't be able to afford first ;)

LAX_LHR
5th Apr 2013, 09:27
Maybe EK should make NCL a 3 class flight from now on maybe people can afford first class but not business so since first isn't offered and they can't afford business they travel economy class??

This statement makes no sense? If they can't afford business class, they sure as hell can't afford first class?

Heathrow Harry
5th Apr 2013, 16:14
people who can afford First NEVER travel in the back.................

skyman771
7th Apr 2013, 12:52
Whilst on ref EK then yesterday not a good day for them at NCL:{. 4 Hour delay on EK36 due to a hydraulic leak caused mayhem on their onward connections through DXB with potentially over 50% of the pax transiting. Incidentally the aircraft in question was a 2 class & re. pax 95% full.
As for days when a 3 class aircraft IS operated , then EK don't sell the 1st section, it being "closed off".
Hope this resolves some of the recent tosh posted.

Mnj1
7th Apr 2013, 18:55
Can anyone tell me roughly how many pax have traveled on EK since the route began?

VickersVicount
7th Apr 2013, 20:58
look up caa stats and count them

Charlie98
7th Apr 2013, 22:43
I tried to mock book a flight to DXB for Monday returning on Saturday, then I tried Sunday. On EK035 there were no economy seats available on the Saturday or the Sunday

skyman771
8th Apr 2013, 06:33
Charlie98
On EK035 there were no economy seats available on the Saturday or the Sunday
Not surprising it's the end of the Easter break:ugh:
On most other days you will find a seat one way or another at a price, as such unsure as to what your point is !

alex207
8th Apr 2013, 08:39
There is a big market Newcastle are missing out on with places in Brittany,Dordogne etc. Jet2 operate to places like Bergerac, La Rochelle and Toulouse. Was the PAX to low on the jet2 seasonal summer service to Toulouse last year? And with many Ex-pats in the Brittany and Dordogne areas that's why Toulouse didn't bring up the goods being located to far away. Maybe flybe to introduce a route Rennes or even the long shots of Nantes with easyjet or flybe on low frequencies in the summer would be a success for NCL as many people also holiday in these areas. And the Nice route seems to be doing well!

Charlie98
8th Apr 2013, 10:17
I'm suggesting that the route has done very well over the holidays and that is isn't all doom and gloom, loads can only get better!

jensdad
8th Apr 2013, 13:54
Flybe tried a weekly seasonal flight to Rennes a couple of years ago, but it was discontinued. BE make those routes work from SOU, BHX etc but I'm not sure there are too many second-home-owners in the North East .

alex207
8th Apr 2013, 15:27
Its all about Spain, Spanish islands and greek,turkish areas from NCL :( looks like leeds are offering more french and italian routes so NCL will lose more market again. Why cant Newcastle be more adventurous?

GAXLN
8th Apr 2013, 15:34
Alex207, What do you mean by why can't Newcastle be more adventurous? Why don't you just put your entire wishlist of destinations in the public domain?

vectisman
8th Apr 2013, 16:02
In these difficult times airlines will only open new routes that have a good chance of success. Success means high yield as well as decent passenger numbers. Generally I believe the offerings from Newcastle are holding up rather well considering the economic situation and lack of disposable cash in the area. We can all come up with a wish list of destinations, but unless there is a chance of adequate financial return the list will remain just that, a wish.

V.

GAXLN
8th Apr 2013, 16:15
Vectisman, totally agree with you. Just thought it might be interesting to see what an expert in the field would suggest as "capable of working" from Newcastle. Fact routes are offered from other airports currently doesn't mean they are viable from there and will last long term as you say yield and volume vs total costs are the important determinants. The Birmingham Airport boss is right - too many airports in the UK chasing too few passengers. The strong will survive and the weak will get weaker. Newcastle is a fundamentally strong airport.

alex207
8th Apr 2013, 16:25
Looks like ill either have to go to manchester or get the ferry to Brittany :ugh:

GAXLN
8th Apr 2013, 16:56
Or why not do something you may not have considered such as book a through ticket on flybe.com and fly from Newcastle to Rennes or La Rochelle or Brest via Southampton? That's got to be a lot better than the ferry or the journey to Manchester hasn't it? Then you can support your local airport and help them over time secure new routes.

JKKne
8th Apr 2013, 17:42
Surely the problem isn't the airports' lack of ambition but that a predominantly working class area such as the North East is quite happy with it's current bucket and spade destinations and traditional city breaks?

HH6702
8th Apr 2013, 18:01
Emirates is to start DXB-MXP-JFK

Wonder if NCL could get EK to do this too?

As for my previous posts with regards to class I had never looked into price etc.
I thought that after economy it would be first class then business but now I know it's the other way around.

Also we must be in for some good news soon and some new routes as its been a while

pwalhx
8th Apr 2013, 19:12
Manchester was in line for this flight but evidently Milan got the nod because of APD. One would imagine APD would be the killer in the case of NCL as well unfortunately.

Even though Mr. Osborne's constituency borders on MAN and many of his voters probably work there he seems rather disinclined to help the aviation industry.

VickersVicount
8th Apr 2013, 21:04
"Wonder if NCL could get EK to do this too?"
I wouldn't have thought so. What would be suggested - freedom rights on all legs ? bolster to the variable loads ? nope sorry, Im not seeing it, NCL would need to really pull something out the bag to get EK vaguely interested in that. They'd be better revisiting AA JFK.

vectisman
8th Apr 2013, 22:09
Alex207, maybe time for your dad to move on from previous experiences. Flybe is no better nor no worse than others in regards to delays. It continues to serve several destinations from Newcastle even in these difficult times. A sensible suggestion was made regarding a possible route to France. Your reply just seems to provide another excuse for not doing so. The fact that you may want to fly to a particular part of France doesn't necessarily that others wish to in sufficient numbers to make a direct route viable.

JKKne, I am sure the people of the North East have aspirations to travel worldwide as great as any other part of the country. Unfortunately many of them do not have the resources to do so at the moment owing to the greed of certain other sectors of our society. (Even though some will continue to argue 'We are all in this together'!)

V.

Skipness One Echo
8th Apr 2013, 23:04
They'd be better revisiting AA JFK.
They're withdrawing the B757s over the next few years and I doubt the route would take a B763 somehow.

skyman771
9th Apr 2013, 05:42
I see we have again re-entered into the "N" word discussion yet again. Totally pointless & waste of time, if historically unlikely, then now impossible. Reasons should be bl***y obvious!, that is unless you have been asleep for the past 5 years !:ugh::ugh:

CentreFix25
9th Apr 2013, 07:30
It is very tedious.

Jamesair
9th Apr 2013, 22:49
Looking through the new timetable on the website there is one new charter flight to Heraklion by Aegean on Tuesdays for Olympic Holidays but all of the flights for Lowcost Holidays have now disappeared.

Jamesair
11th Apr 2013, 10:41
Very disappointing show from Lisbon fans in respect of team and charter flights for tonights match giving a score of:

Newcastle 6 Lisbon 1

Hope that will be reflected tonight :D

SWBKCB
11th Apr 2013, 16:47
Lets not let facts get in the way of a bit of football banter, but on that basis they wouldn't have got past Metalist Kharkiv!

Being more realistic, could be that European football isn't such a novelty for Benfica fans as it is for those from the Toon...

Sam Chipperfield
11th Apr 2013, 17:18
Does anybody have any Pics or the Reg of the SATA A310 that brung the Benfica Team in?

VentureGo
11th Apr 2013, 19:10
Link Here:
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/files/28979

Click on link "Click here to read Lord Adonis' More and Better Jobs report (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/files/28979)" line 2 paragraphs below photo to link with download .pdf file with full report.

Interestingly suggests LA7 area ( Tyne & Wear + Durham & Northumberland) which currently work together for NIA should integrate all Ports, Buses, Trains & Metro in a fully co-operating Integrated Transport & Ports regulatory body to benefit the wider region's business & economy.

Not much mention of Tees Valley other than better links into & from the LA7 area.

NCIS
12th Apr 2013, 08:46
Hi - CS-TKM.

VentureGo
12th Apr 2013, 11:04
Links don't seem to be working from above post to Lord Adonis' report "More & Better Jobs - North East International"

Extract re Air Travel below:

AIR
Making, trading and exporting requires connectivity to global markets by air. Ever stronger
links from Newcastle Airport to the major global air hubs are required, plus continuing direct
flights to the more distant British cities. The maximum number of global destinations needs to
be available from Newcastle with one change of plane. The recent new link to the fastdeveloping
hub at Dubai has been a great success; the top priority now is a commercial
agreement to pump-prime a new direct flight to a major North American air hub.

A NEW DIRECT FLIGHT TO A MAJOR NORTH AMERICAN AIR HUB
The CBI’s Trading Places report highlights the importance of better air links to new markets
in unlocking exporting opportunities:
“In a changing and challenging global environment, it is imperative that the UK remains
both open for business and new opportunities. With global growth continuing to be
driven by expansion in high-growth markets, we see more than ever the importance of
re-orientating our trade. Businesses need ambition and confidence to venture beyond
domestic markets, and government must do all it can to facilitate this expansion. We
need the right infrastructure to forge these new links, and our aviation networks are a
key part of the puzzle.”
Direct flights open doors to new trade and the report states that a new daily flight to the
eighth largest high-growth economies could generate as much as £1bn of additional trade
a year. Failure to match ambitions of growing international trade with a drive to deliver more
flights to growing overseas markets risks undermining these efforts.
The underpinning analysis demonstrates the importance of establishing the right air links
with the right markets, with global patter ns illustrating the symbiotic relationships between
air links and trade links – where the UK’s connectivity has grown, new trading links have
been forged and vice versa.
The success of the daily Emirates flight from Newcastle to Dubai demonstrates the impact
of a single flight. In this case, opportunities for businesses in the North East to do trade in
the Gulf region, Asia and Australasia have been transformed. A recent CBI press release
highligh ts that trade bet ween the North East and Au stra lasi a has risen from less than
£150m a year to more than £275m a year in the period that the Emirates service has been
operating. Moreover, of the £173m worth of exports that are transported through Newcastle
Airport each year, as much as £150m of that is accounted for by the Emirates services

A SINGLE NETWORK SMARTCARD FOR NORTH EAST BUSES
Following its investigation of the local bus market in Britain outside London, the Competition
Commission found that the lack of competitively-priced tickets valid on all bus operators’
servic es was an important factor in the lack of compet ition in the local bus market. This
detriments passengers and taxpayers, costing in the range of £115m to £305m per year.
The Competition Commission wishes to see more multi-operator ticketing schemes, and in
March 2013 the DfT launched guidance to get more such schemes up and running.
The need for a more integrated network and better solutions for fully integrated ticketing was
also a key finding from informal consultation on delivery of the Tyne & Wear Bus Strategy.
“Network One” is the range of all-operator season tickets already available in Tyne & Wear.
The day rover ticket is only available for all fare zones in Tyne & Wear, covering both bus &
metro. This means that it is priced at a substantial premium over single operator one day
rover bus tickets.
As the fare zone geography between operators differs, the price comparison is not exact.
There is a strong contrast with Sheffield and Oxford, where as a result of recent partnership
agreements, all operator daily tickets are available at a low premium.
In London, where bus es are regulated by Transport for Londo n, and a similar system to
quality contracts is in force, there are no single operator tickets. Instead, a very simple fare
structure is in place using the Oyster smartcard. Any bus trip is £1.40, with a daily maximum
fare of £4.30. This is available on a pay as you go basis. as

Jamesair
16th Apr 2013, 21:59
DUBAI pax figure for March is 17,679 up 26% on March 2012

skyman771
17th Apr 2013, 09:12
DUBAI pax figure for March is 17,679 up 26% on March 2012
Not at all surprised, ......have you seen the latest IFE technology on the latest delivered 773's operating NCL-DXB? Incredible !! leaves most competitors business class offerings in the shade, I particularly like the touch large touch screen TV's in tandem with the additional detachable I-phones offering an infinite choice of first class entertainment.
Now why is any informed person "who has a choice" going to look to other products & additional sectors to "fly east" ?
EK's progress is unsuprisingly predictable & if one can live with their timings unbeatable.
There are a no. of reasons why the more more mature NCL - West market does not mirror that of NCL - East, of which the above EK experience has no bearing, & thus irrespective of this will never be viable.

HH6702
17th Apr 2013, 10:30
This is excellent news +26% on year before

It would be a good milestone for both the airport and emirates to hit 20,000 a month!!!!
Hopefully we get this figure in the next 12 months?

Jamesair
17th Apr 2013, 14:32
Remembering that Easter fell in March this year as opposed to April last year, the figures are not at all bad.

CHAMBERY.....1308 + 10%
CORK .....2096 + 14%
AMSTERDAM..29,303 + 26% (that is over 6,000 pax on last March)
PRAGUE........ 2441 + 17%
KRAKOW........2353 + 45%
DUBAI...........17,679 + 26%
Holiday routes to ALICANTE etc were all up as expected
COPENHAGEN came in at 992 which is a good start to the new routes 2nd month.

PARIS...........11,327 - 29%
DUSSELDORF. 2,591 - 27%
DUBLIN.........11,694 - 22%
BARCELONA... 5317 - 14%
STAVANGER...1831 - 20%

ABERDEEN.......2837 + 32%
EXETER..........2783 + 56%
BELFAST INT.17,929 + 4%
BRISTOL.......16,701 + 1%
JERSEY.............434 + 98% (Easyjet)
SOUTHAMPTON.7593 + 3%

GATWICK..........6928 - 4% (rising month by month, seems to be stabilising)
HEATHROW......42,712 - 4% (less business travellers over Easter period)
BELFAST CITY....3425 - 3% (as per Gatwick comment)
BIRMINGHAM ..... 747 - 38%
ISLE OF MAN .... 434 - 19%

Heathrow Harry
17th Apr 2013, 15:02
"DUBAI pax figure for March is 17,679 up 26% on March 2012"

nothing to do with the IFE and everything to do with the weather IMHO

HH6702
18th Apr 2013, 16:38
The above holiday companies will put may-oct 2014 summer holidays on sale next week 25th April.

Lets hope for something new from ncl!!

VentureGo
19th Apr 2013, 11:35
Emirates flights set to double from Newcastle after record numbers - Business News - News - nebusiness.co.uk (http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news//2013/04/18/emirates-flights-set-to-double-from-newcastle-after-record-numbers-51140-33192495/)

Emirates flights set to double from Newcastle after record numbers

by Coreena Ford, The Journal (http://www.journallive.co.uk/)
Apr 18 2013 (http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2013/04/18/)

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nebusiness/apr2013/2/6/featured-emirates-966805048.jpg Emirates could fly twice a day from Newcastle to Dubai within a few years

AIRLINE giant Emirates could introduce double daily flights from Newcastle to Dubai in two years if the firm continues to see record passenger numbers, the vice-president has revealed.
Since launching its daily flight to the Middle East from Newcastle International Airport in 2007, the airline has reported its most successful figures to date, with flyer numbers in March up by 35% compared to the same period last year.
Thanks to the introduction of the new, larger Boeing 777-300ER aircraft last September, an extra 2,000 seats to and from Dubai every week were provided and more than 200 tonnes of cargo were carried into and out of Newcastle in March.
UK and Ireland vice-president Laurie Berryman hopes the route will grow by 15% this year, and such increases could well see the introduction of a second daily service in 2015, demonstrating the firm’s commitment and support for the North East economy.
“It has been hugely successful here. We arrived in 2007, just as the economy was going into meltdown and it has been very difficult,” said Berryman.
“But after a bad winter people are determined not to go without a holiday this year, they are desperate to get back to normal, so Easter was a very busy time for us and March was the biggest month we’ve ever had.
“The percentage growth we had in passenger numbers was 35% up compared to March 2012.

“There are lots of ifs and buts, and it isn’t guaranteed, but if we continue to have months like March we could see the introduction of double daily flights within a few years.
“We will always go with demands so we will watch the next two to three years.
“We have got to see the same sort of growth that we have had recently but if the economy continues to bounce back, it is a possibility.
“The North East has been very loyal to us. We’ve been here six years, have covered a tough time in which the North East probably suffered the worst of any regions in the UK during the downturn, but we have had great support from local companies as well as the North East Chamber of Commerce, the airport and, before it went, ONE North East, so we have some good people pushing cargo straight out of Newcastle rather than using airports down south.”
Berryman’s comments came during a visit to the region for the North East Expo at Kingston Park, where he was a keynote speaker.
There, he urged regional businesses to exploit the opportunity to use Emirates to trade in the Middle East without having to use London airports.
At present around 20% of customers currently use the Dubai service for business reasons, many choosing to keep costs down by flying in economy rather than business class.
However, the Emirates’ Business Rewards scheme could see more in the North East travelling abroad to explore export opportunities.
The Business Rewards travel benefits programme is tailored to the needs of SMEs, allowing those involved to earn miles at the rate of 1 Business Rewards Mile for every $1 spent, and they can be redeemed for individual travellers from a firm or for the company as a whole.
“The message we are getting across is that for the SME market in the North East, there is a great opportunity to export to the Far East and beyond, into India, China, Vietnam and the rest of the world,” said Berryman.
“The way out of the current recession is to get out there.

“We are already helping firms to export; for example, among the cargo we carried a couple of months ago were palm trees to Dubai – plastic trees which were being sent to be used in the foyer of a hotel.”
James Ramsbotham, NECC chief executive, welcomed Berryman’s call for businesses to explore overseas opportunities, adding: “Emirates is a global brand and introducing the new aircraft last year bolstered the positive impact that it has already made in the region.
“Trades from the North East to Australasia and the Middle East increased by more than 65% since Emirates began operating the route so to hear that they are performing so well in both passengers and cargo can only be good news for the region.
“The potential of a second daily flight is fantastic news and would help companies in the North East build upon our already impressive export performance.”

heslop2006
19th Apr 2013, 13:55
Fantastic news! I'm excited to fly on the service for the first time in 2 weeks time!

alex207
19th Apr 2013, 19:48
This time last year Easyjet announced its new AMS route on a 5 daily. With the same gap could we see easyjet launch a new route on 5 weekly frequencies or more than one? I have a feeling that it could be CDG again or maybe LIS or MAD. And i thought that if there arent any slots at FRA for LH to launch services what about MUC with plenty of connections?

FRatSTN
19th Apr 2013, 20:06
It's still very early days, I think there's a bit of re-jigging to schedules to be had. EasyJet are probably just putting flights on sale to get early bookings and haven't really got a realistic flying schedule together yet.

I wouldn't rely too heavily on how many gaps or how long the gaps are to try and guess potential new routes. Any gaps or anmolies at the moment will probably be sorted in due course by re-jigging the shedules. That said, I'm not completely ruling out any hope for new flights/routes. I'm sure it would be very welcomed news if they were to add something new!

andrewmcharlton
19th Apr 2013, 21:04
Got to say Laurie Berryman was a top bloke. I organise said event he appeared at and he was superb and very approachable. I'm interviewing him in a couple of weeks time for a podcast series so if you have any questions for him PM me....

alex207
19th Apr 2013, 21:30
FRAatSTN- Thanks for your info:)

HH6702
19th Apr 2013, 22:57
How about a 4th based aircraft also that may also help with new routes and fill the gaps

Sam Chipperfield
20th Apr 2013, 08:31
Easyjet won't do another based Aircraft, If they do another route i think the Aircraft will come from the Destination and Return there and then back to Bristol, Luton or wherever it would come from, Would like to see them do a New Route but can't see it

CentreFix25
20th Apr 2013, 08:46
I was going to say, I've not seen any new routes announced. Is this all pie in the sky stuff again?

SWBKCB
20th Apr 2013, 10:10
I was going to say, I've not seen any new routes announced. Is this all pie in the sky stuff again?

It was late April last year that EZY announced a new route (replacing CDG with AMS), so just speculation that they will do the same this year :ugh:

Move along, nothing to see here...

Jamesair
20th Apr 2013, 19:58
The 18th April Thomson press release shows new routes from various airports but NONE from Newcastle.

10 DME ARC
21st Apr 2013, 08:09
Chill out every one......

In this present climate new routes don't alway's mean 'new' customers!! In the past we have seen same customer spreading between routes meaning no one win's! The airport is doing a good job of keeping what we have got and it's priority is getting the likes of BRU back.
If you can think of a route, think who will loose out?? E.g. FRA great route to have but would kill DUS and KLM, BA, EK and AF would all take a knock!! That's why the likes of NYC appeal, yes some knock to hub carriers BUT a big gain from pax's road/train to MCT/LHR/EDI/GLA! Plus how many west bound cities become one stop from NCL just as EK have done east bound!!

HH6702
22nd Apr 2013, 11:28
At the minute LH are killing the DUS flights with it becoming daily instead of twice daily!!

Rumours were that the reason for the reduction on DUS route was that FRA was going to start with twice daily flights and people would swap to the FRA as better connections??

Looks like its all rubbish... The quicker DUS route goes back to twice daily the better

Charlie98
23rd Apr 2013, 16:49
A French Air Force A310 came in today, anyone know why?

NCIS
23rd Apr 2013, 21:07
Hi - F-RADB bringing in French troops for a big exercise in Cumbria.

VentureGo
25th Apr 2013, 17:40
Lufthansa are operating a Boeing 737-500 on their NCL - Dusseldorf service this evening Registration D-ABII - Is this "one off"? - or has this route grown so much to increase capacity. - Ref. Flightradar24
and from DUS Airport Info Board:

Flight information
Departure
Services
Flight >>>>>>>
LH 3457

Airline>>>>>>
Lufthansa

Date
25. April 2013

Arrival time
20:10

Expected
20:11

Gate
A

Stops
nonstop

Flight time
1:20 h

Model of aircraft>>>>>>>>
Boeing 737-500

Newcastle
NCL

GrahamK
25th Apr 2013, 17:48
Maybe due to yesterday's flight cancellation due LH strikes?

HH6702
25th Apr 2013, 21:16
Looks like TOM is to add there own aircraft from ncl for 2014 on a Wednesday instead of using TCX on a Sunday

Good news for ncl

Doesn't look like a 4th based aircraft just a re shuffle of the times and routes

heslop2006
26th Apr 2013, 00:24
According to their preview brochure Thomson have Saturday 14:25 to Palma with JetairFly

Also in their faraway shores brochure, NCL has the outbound to Cancun via MAN until 15th July, then 22nd July - 21st October to Cancun has the blue highlight meaning its the 787 and it'll be direct without going via MAN

Also 21st July - 20th October flights to Orlando are also blue highlighted so they'll also be the 787

VentureGo
29th Apr 2013, 21:32
Is it not time we faced reality with regard to Teeside Airport (Darlington/ DTV.... etc...) As a Region we need to support firstly a much improved surface transport link to Newcastle International Airport. O.K.... Controversial to some! .... But in reality the only way the NORTH EAST as a region can attract new routes, expand frequency of existing routes , and promote the North East as a truly viable central business and leisure destination. --- I know there will be the usual defendants of keeping a civilian airport in Teeside .... but a United Region with an emphasis on Newcastle Airport with fast, convenient and comfortable links to Teeside would, I feel, promote more and better frequent air links to ALL.....
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=7818239) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.pprune.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=7818239)

SWBKCB
30th Apr 2013, 20:32
Could somebody translate?

BAladdy
1st May 2013, 06:29
A total of 6 aircraft will be based at NCL for S13. The NCL based fleet will consist of 3 737-300's, 2 757's and 1 leased A320. The aircraft will operate as shown below on the schedule for 1st week in August.

MONDAY

733 - NCL-ALC-NCL-IBZ-NCL
733 - NCL-REU-NCL-KRK-NCL
733 - NCL-FAO-NCL-ORK-NCL
757 - NCL-PMI-NCL-BJV-NCL
757 - NCL-CFU-NCL-DLM-NCL
A320 - NCL-AGP-NCL-MJV-NCL

TUESDAY

733 - NCL-ALC-NCL-PUY-NCL
733 - NCL-AGP-NCL
733 - NCL-FAO-NCL
757 - NCL-TFS-NCL
757 - NCL-HER-NCL
A320 - NCL-PMI-NCL-MAH-NCL

WEDNESDAY

733 - NCL-ALC-NCL-KRK-NCL
733 - NCL-FAO-NCL
733 - NCL-PSA-NCL-DBV-NCL
757 - NCL-PMI-NCL-RHO-NCL
757 - NCL-PFO-NCL
A320 - NCL-AGP-NCL-MJV-NCL

THURSDAY

733 - NCL-VCE-NCL-REU-NCL
733 - NCL-FAO-NCL-MJV-NCL
733 - NCL-FCO-NCL
757 - NCL-AGP-NCL-DLM-NCL
757 - NCL-PMI-NCL-ACE-NCL
A320 - NCL-ALC-NCL-IBZ-NCL

FRIDAY

733 - NCL-AGP-NCL-MJV-NCL
733 - NCL-FAO-NCL-ORK-NCL
733 - NCL-IBZ-NCL-KRK-NCL
757 - NCL-ALC-NCL-TFS-NCL
757 - NCL-PMI-NCL-DLM-NCL
A320 - NCL-MAH-NCL-PMI-NCL

SATURDAY

733 - NCL-ALC-NCL-PMI-NCL
733 - NCL-FAO-NCL-PSA-NCL
733 - NCL-MJV-NCL-MAH-NCL
757 - NCL-AGP-NCL-LPA-NCL
757 - NCL-PMI-NCL-TFS-NCL
A320 - NCL-IBZ-NCL-ALC-NCL

SUNDAY

733 - NCL-FAO-NCL-MJV-NCL
733 - NCL-FCO-NCL-VCE-NCL
733 - NCL-DBV-NCL-PRG-NCL
757 - NCL-ALC-NCL-PFO-NCL
757 - NCL-PMI-NCL-ACE-NCL
A320 - NCL-AGP-NCL-IBZ-NCL

LS will wet lease a 168 seater A320, registration G-POWI, between the 8th May and 15th September from STN based Titan Airways. The aircraft will have basic LS decals applied prior to entering service and will be crewed by Titan for the duration of the lease. The A320 was only delivered to Titan less than 3 weeks ago and only entered revenue service a week ago. More info on the A320 can be found here: The Airbus A320 has Arrived (http://www.titan-airways.com/news/the-airbus-a320-has-arrived.html)

anthbower1234
1st May 2013, 08:00
Love the breakdown above of LS ops out of NCL can anyone provide similar format for TOM/TCX and the other charter Ops out of NCL this summer the one on the Airport website doesnt have type on route or Flight Code?

Cheers!

chrisellio
1st May 2013, 13:43
Can anyone advise which TCX flights the A320 will operate

BasilFawlty
1st May 2013, 17:51
Tcx:

monday
320: Ncl-dlm-dsa-dlm-ncl
757: Ncl-mah-ncl-bjv-ncl
757: Ncl-cfu-ncl-ayt-ncl
tuesday
320: Ncl-alc-ncl-pfo-ncl
757: Ncl-pmi-ncl-her-ncl
757: Ncl-tfs-ncl-dlm-ncl
wednesday
320: Ncl-lca-ncl-rho-ncl
752: Ncl-ssh-ncl-nbe-ncl
752: Ncl-ibz-ncl-fue-ncl
thursday
320: Ncl-dlm-ncl-pmi-ncl
752: Ncl-zth-ncl-ayt-ncl
752: Ncl-ace-ncl-dlm-ncl
friday
320: Ncl-pmi-ncl-mah-ncl
752: Ncl-cfu-ncl-tfs-ncl
752: Ncl-jsi-ncl-dlm-ncl
saturday
320: Ncl-ibz-ncl-alc-ncl
752: Ncl-pmi-ncl-lpa-ncl
752: Ncl-fue-ncl-dlm-ncl
sunday
320: Ncl-efl-ncl-zth-ncl
752: Ncl-nbe-ncl-lca-ncl
752: Ncl-ibz-ncl-dlm-ncl

TCX69
1st May 2013, 18:06
Can anyone advise which TCX flights the A320 will operate

Mon
NCL-ZTH-NCL
NCL-DLM-DSA
DSA-DLM-NCL

Tue
NCL-ALC-NCL
NCL-PFO-NCL

Wed
NCL-LCA-NCL
NCL-RHO-NCL

Thu
NCL-DLM-NCL
NCL-PMI-NCL

Fri
NCL-PMI-NCL
NCL-MAH-NCL
NCL-BOJ-NCL

Sat
NCL-IBZ-NCL
NCL-ALC-NCL

Sun
NCL-REU-NCL
NCL-EFL-NCL

VentureGo
2nd May 2013, 21:07
From DTV Thread:

Have a look at the posts coming from those who want to see the airport close, then look at where they've listed their location as. More often than not they're geordies who know that if, in the unlikely event, DTVA was to get the significant investment it deserves and a new dynamic management team, their precious NCL would have a fight on their hands!

I think it's time the moderators had a good clean up of this thread and got rid of all the biased individuals who post pointless criticism just to cause trouble, and keep any posts that contain constructive criticism, which would probably be none. No....! Chaps - This is not about North of the region v South (Geordies vs. Smoggies!) In fact .... Your response re. "Precious Newcasrtle" is part of the problem. Teeside is at most 50 minutes from NCL ... which could be much improved via reliable comfortable and Fast public transport. Central London to Heathrow via Tube is 50 minutes! - This is where investment should be made... then we can promote the NORTH EAST REGION! (I.E. TWEED to TEES.. as per Lord Adonis' report).. Have you read it?!....

ConstantFlyer
6th May 2013, 19:48
Sorry, VentureGo, but I don't think there is any such thing as "The North East" anymore. Newcastle Airport draws its passengers from the Scottish borders, Cumbria, County Durham and Teesside as well as Tyne and Wear. It also delivers inbound traffic for all these destinations. If you look at the departure screens at Darlington railway station, you will see regular departures to "Manchester Airport". That tells you how far (metaphorically) that both Newcastle and Teesside Airports have to go in terms of hearts, minds and wallets.

VentureGo
10th May 2013, 17:41
MPs back Newcastle Airport argument to scrap Air Passenger Duty
The Journal May 10 2013 http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2013/05/10/mps-back-newcastle-airport-argument-to-scrap-air-passenger-duty-61634-33310278/
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIL_avxTSNmHI3boNCovPaihyw0rQA8-m5bVKZGdkVd0dYXEry6w
Planes at Newcastle International Airport
INFLUENTIAL MPs have backed North East business leaders’ calls to expand Heathrow Airport and potentially scrap Air Passenger Duty.
In a report published today, the Transport Select Committee says plans for a new “Boris Island” airport in the Thames estuary should be binned, while a third and possibly even fourth runway are added to Britain’s biggest airport, boosting connectivity with the regions.
The committee also urges the Government to launch a study into whether APD is having a damaging effect on the economy, and if it is, to abolish it, something that Newcastle International Airport, The Journal and the North East Chamber of Commerce have long campaigned for.
NECC chief executive James Ramsbotham hopes ministers will heed the recommendations, which also include a 12 month APD ‘holiday’ for new routes at airports outside of the South East
He said: “A third Heathrow runway would have a positive impact on regional business, improving links from North East airports to the capital and beyond.
“And by removing APD, even for a 12-month period as suggested, the North East could further improve on our impressive export performance and deliver more for UK PLC.
“The removal of APD would also help the North East secure more long haul flights and could achieve the priority target of attracting a direct flight to the USA.”
Newcastle International currently has six flights a day into Heathrow, helping businesses connect with markets around the world.
However, it’s feared pressure to devote limited Heathrow slots to international routes will threaten Newcastle’s allocation, which couldhave dire consequences for the local economy.
Recent research by Oxford Economics found £3.6bn worth of exports from the region are dependent on air travel and 96% of these go via a hub airport like Heathrow.
It’s reckoned to support 2,000 tourism jobs and 700 airport jobs in the North East, with visitors travelling via Heathrow contributing £49.3m to the region’s GDP in 2010. The study also found one in seven jobs in the region is dependant on foreign investment.
Graeme Mason of Newcastle International Airport said: “Building an airport in the Thames Estuary is too expensive, we said that, and we’ve always said we support additional capacity at Heathrow, though the committee has gone further and considered a fourth runway, which we would very much welcome.
“If Government policy comes to mirror this then that would be a major victory.”
Jamie Martin of law firm Ward Hadaway said the recommendations could be excellent news for the North East economy.
“The region is already a net exporter and the continuing growth of industries such as the offshore, subsea and renewable energy sectors means that North East know-how and products are in increasing demand across the globe.
“The continuing success of Newcastle International Airport has made a major contribution to this and removing the burden of Air Passenger Duty would improve the situation even further.
“When you add this to the prospect of an expanded Heathrow with better connectivity to the North East, it has the potential to really open up the world to the region.”

Joe Curry
10th May 2013, 17:59
One must remember that the bulk of NCL traffic is leisure orientated and
APD would seemingly deter UK pax taking their cash out of the local economy. ?

North West
10th May 2013, 19:45
NCL is hardly unique in that regard.

If a UK traveller books a package holiday abroad then the chances are he'll be booking with a UK company, which supports jobs in the UK and contributes to the revenue. It will support jobs at the airport, indirectly and directly. Debit, credit cards, mobile phones used abroad will generate profit streams back in the UK too. The UK hotel and restaurant trade misses out, but I bet the analysis is interesting when its looked at in the round

Joe Curry
10th May 2013, 20:19
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of 'who gets what', remembering that there is no VAT imposed on foreign packaged holidays. One would suspect that a far bigger percentage of the actual spend goes to economies outwith the UK. And it would be unfair to single out just NCL, there are other
airports whose flight programmes are heavily biased toward leisure flights almost 100% filled by UK pax.

VentureGo
10th May 2013, 21:31
Joe, - You're simply wrong and out of date! - Newcastle and its catchment area relies on its Air & Sea links for International Trade... Exports, Financial & Commercial Business, Freight as well as Inbound tourism for not only the immediate Newcastle City venues, but also the wider area of Cumbria, Northumberland, County Durham, Teeside, Lake District and the Scottish Borders.
Did you actually read the report Recent research by Oxford Economics found £3.6bn worth of exports from the region are dependent on air travel and 96% of these go via a hub airport like Heathrow.
It’s reckoned to support 2,000 tourism jobs and 700 airport jobs in the North East, with visitors travelling via Heathrow contributing £49.3m to the region’s GDP in 2010. The study also found one in seven jobs in the region is dependant on foreign investment.I really don't understand your argument re. VAT, UK businesses losing out etc...
Newcastle Airport has brought huge advances in trade with countries served by Emirates daily service to and beyond its Dubai hub.
In my opinion it is the lack of competition and regulatory red tape and anti competitive Airline Alliances preventing a similar East bound North American link to major hubs in the U.S.

SWBKCB
10th May 2013, 21:58
Hook, Line and Sinker...

1-0 to JC.

Joe is right - the bulk of NCL traffic is leisure orientated as it is at most (all?) UK regional airports, so 'who gets what' is a wider discussion and not relevant to the NCL thread (and no Joe, you can't have APD devolved so EDI can nick NCL's traffic).

CabinCrewe
10th May 2013, 23:32
which is really the crux of the argument, EDI to try and gain everything, everyone else to lose out. Nauseating and transparent.

Joe Curry
11th May 2013, 10:10
Why drag EDI into this? I never mentioned it but seeing the apparent
interest should we perhaps mention the tiny percentage of charter flight traffic there?
I doubt EDI or any single UK airport will be APD free. Political fixes will be UK-wide and not selective. Level playing field competition is the name of the game..

Ringwayman
11th May 2013, 10:56
So 100% of the passengers that use EDI are business travellers so aiding the Scottish economy by helping to sell products and services overseas thereby enhancing Scottish employment and no-one on an EDI scheduled service is going abroad for leisure purposes?

Let's look at some of these 100% business destinations ex-EDI bearing in mind the small charter programme that we've been told about:
Alicante, Paphos, Dubrovnik, Dalaman, Palma, Tenerife, Ibiza, Malaga, Menorca, Olbia

I would imagine all these are cyclical in nature i.e. high frequency in summer and low frequency in winter. Not unlike a charter programme that exists, perhaps, at Newcastle which we have to remember has your implicit criticism of the passengers spending overseas.

SWBKCB
11th May 2013, 11:17
Yes, EDI might have a tiny percentage of charter flight traffic but a higher percentage of loco flights to 'leisure' destinations as above - two sides of the same coin.

EK77WNCL
11th May 2013, 13:28
Hi, first post, please don't be too harsh.

This business about EDI having a "tiny" amount of leisure traffic, although they do have significantly more business oriented flights, there are also a significant number of leisure flights.

Firstly the business flights, Edinburgh does have quite a lot, however you have to remember that although it is a Regional UK airport, it is also the airport for the capital city of Scotland. So 20+ flights a day to Heathrow with 2 airlines and 2+ per day on a 767 is understandable along with various other flights to EU cities that NCL doesn't have.

The actial total of leisure flights, however are seemingly overlooked as people seem to have beem simply looking at TOM and TCX which, yes do not have that much of a significant presence compared to NCL, MAN, EMA, DSA and LBA (somewhat) etc. However Edinburgh does have the following:
- Significant Easyjet base, easyjet isn't really that business oriented, although they do have a few EU cities from EDI.
- Significant Jet2 base + Jet2 Holidays.
- Significant Ryanair base
- Various other small charter ops such as BA cityflyer, Freebird etc...

Also, really good news about EK and I must say an average of 250 pax a day is really good. I was lucky to be on the 75th anniversary flight, which, as some may or may not know, held and probably still holds the record for the most passengers ever carried on a commercial flight from Newcastle at 418... And someone was arrested upon arrival in Dubai for smoking in the toilet...

Thanks All
Regards
EK77WNCL

Jamesair
12th May 2013, 11:03
If, as reported Flybe is negotiation the sale of it's gatwick slots to Easyjet and others, where will that leave the Newcastle - Gatwick service?

SWBKCB
12th May 2013, 11:06
IF they sell, stuffed unless EZY decide to pick it.

cornishsimon
12th May 2013, 11:08
Well lets hope that the others includes IAG and let's hope that they look at re-instating NCL-LGW on BA metal which should allow connections to Europe and longhaul at LGW.

BA already have a presence at NCL with handling contract, lounge etc so shouldnt take too much

cs

EK77WNCL
12th May 2013, 11:12
I hope they don't sell off LGW for 2 reasons:
1. We will only then have a service to LHR.
2. BA having a monopoly will just hike prices up even higher.

Although BE's prices are extortionate at times and EZY would certainly be much cheaper. However I would like to see EZY serve Southend from NCL and if they began to serve LGW the chances of that happening are just about 0.

But, they do what they want to do, nothing we can do to stop them...

SWBKCB
12th May 2013, 11:36
But what's changed to make BA want to pick LGW back up again, particularly as they've since dropped MAN-LGW?

VickersVicount
12th May 2013, 13:11
NCL-LGW, I wouldn't have thought so.... :rolleyes:esp as mentioned, MAN-LGW being pulled.

VentureGo
13th May 2013, 19:57
Poor showing at routes conference for Newcastle - Not pushing new destinations at all!
Compare with LeedsBradford, EMA, Edinburgh efforts! - Newcastle aren't even making a slight effort -

Maybe Newcastle needs that guy from LBA? - Not Parkins (although he did bring Emirates, Easy, Jet2 and Ryanair to Newcastle, while MD.. but his Development Manager, Tony Hallwood.

Routes Europe 2013 Company List :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/events/158/routes-europe-2013/attending-delegates/)
As an example: -Refer to page 9 for LeedsBradford & page 11 for Newcastle as example: Newcastle state only 6 Unserved Routes, and no other comment promoting the airport & region; while LBA are pushing the boat out in stating 48 unserved routes and 11under-served routes supported by a message promoting their bids from Tony Hallwood, Commercial & Aviation Development Diretor.
- Comparisons with other UK airports state high numbers of unserved routes, which if I'm reading this correctly, is their "shopping list" for negotiations.

Current people at NCL from MD..Dave Laws down to his development team don.t seem to be delivering...!

10 DME ARC
13th May 2013, 21:23
V/GO - and you gleamed all that from looking up NCL on routes web site?!?! Were you there?? Did you sit in at any of the meetings???
Get a grip NCL is holdings its own in a very difficult market with a difficult catchment area!
Can we please forget the spotter wish lists and get real.......

EK77WNCL
13th May 2013, 22:03
It is true though that, yes NCL has the very successful DXB flight, but the old management seemed to do much better. After all, the EK flight was initiated under the old management and so were the LS and EZY bases etc.

Falcon900LX
13th May 2013, 23:15
Newcastle airport is failing in my eyes, long gone are the days that it needed to expand, furthermore I don't believe it's 'very successful', it might be doing well for a REGIONAL fair enough, but if it was 'very successful' I'm sure it would be more than once a day like our Scottish brothers at GLA.
Thanks
Falcon900LX

SWBKCB
14th May 2013, 05:55
Get real - the world's a very different place nowadays.

And any facts to back up 'poor showing' at Routes (or any evidence that Routes is effective?)

CentreFix25
14th May 2013, 07:33
Here are the facts from the CAA.

You have to say of the English airports, trend wise there is very little between them over the last 2/3 years (little or no growth, with BRS showing the most recently). Which would indicate the people at NCL are not doing any worse in attracting new passengers, but there are so many factors to think about...

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/2792/pax.png

Boris1
14th May 2013, 09:15
1.3 million passengers lost in 5 years. I would say that's doing something wrong. That's quite a substantial decrease for an airport of NCLs size.

Jamesair
14th May 2013, 10:46
Very illuminating figures and graph, CentreFix, it does show the airport has been holding its own through the recession. The worry is that with the loss of Brussels and the likely loss of Gatwick there will be a combined loss of approx 130,000 pax per annum. This is going to take a lot of making up

MerchantVenturer
14th May 2013, 11:14
Small point of detail but you have an incorrect figure in your tables and graph for BRS in 2006.

CAA stats show that 5,710,222 passed through its terminal that year, not the 5,015,264 that you've shown.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data/2006Annual/Table_02_2_Summary_of_Activity_at_UK_Airports_2006.pdf

The figures do show the general trend though for the English regional airports immediately below MAN and BHX (LPL is also in this group of course) all of which experienced a substantial fall in 2009, to a greater or lesser degree, with not much progress since, although BRS and LBA have made limited gains in each of the years following 2009.

LPL had mildly decent gains in 2010 and 2011 but 2012 was a disappointment with a 15% fall in passenger numbers.

deltahotel9
14th May 2013, 12:20
The figures are indeed interesting and perhaps show NCL isn't doing as badly as some believe. It is however the case that we are losing more routes than we are gaining, with BRU gone and LGW almost certainly going, TCX have reduced capacity this year down from 4 to 3 based units, TOM didn't add anything and while LS have announced a raft of new routes for 2014 none of those are operating from NCL.

I'm not in any position to comment on management either way however the fact remains that NCL is stagnating and it can't all be down to 'the tough economic climate' someone somewhere needs to do more to prevent routes being lost, and to add new or replacement routes.

As has been said before often it is much more expensive to fly from NCL than LBA, EDI or MAN and as money is tight many passengers with a genuine choice will go for the cheaper option. The question as to why this is the case has never been answered, is it due to higher fees or simply that airlines charge whatever they think they can get away with? Assuming it's the latter it remains to be seen if by charging less they would get more passengers. Yes, I know it's all about yields not headline fares but it doesn't help NCL when the headline fares are significantly more.

CentreFix25
14th May 2013, 12:43
Small point of detail but you have an incorrect figure in your tables and graph for BRS in 2006.
CAA stats show that 5,710,222 passed through its terminal that year, not the 5,015,264 that you've shown.

Thanks for that MV, I did worry so much copying and pasting something would go wrong. I'll update and add some others later.

TOM didn't add anything

They've actually reduced capacity since the 757 have gone.

I know it's all about yields

...and they'll not tell us that information, all we can go off is bums on seats.

1.3 million passengers lost in 5 years. I would say that's doing something wrong.

That was a big drop, EMA had similar. I think the trend was a reduction in numbers across the board during that time - when we first went into recession (we lost XLA about that time and others followed), but others didn't lose such a big percentage.

alex207
14th May 2013, 15:03
Maybe Flybe could upgrade on the SOU route with the airport 1 hour 12 mins on the train to Waterloo and 1 hour mins to London (according to Google maps). Or maybe London city on BA cityflyer just a idea? Or Easyjet to SEN,LTN,STN or LGW?

Tflyer
14th May 2013, 20:53
It is fair to comment on the reduction in seats from TOM at NCL. However, Thomson Airways has always had long term plans to update the fleet from B757 to B738. NCL was this year, BRS & CWL are the next proposed bases for S14 to go to B738 bases. BRS is also loosing longhaul for S14 due to low profit margins generated on longhaul routes from BRS.

Whilst it may not be ideal for passenger figures for NCL, TOM is operating to fleet planning. Hopefully we will see a 4th based B738 for NCL soon. Which could add extra capacity for NCL if not increasing it.

skyman771
14th May 2013, 21:56
I recall reading some time back that to support all the concessions at NCL then pax no.'s of c. 5M pax were mooted.
It can only be a matter of time before sustained reduced no.'s at nearer 4M begin to impact on the pax experience.:suspect:

HH6702
14th May 2013, 22:18
Thank you Centrefix25 for you graph and the yearly passenger figures carried for NCL and other airports in which you compare us too HOWEVER it doesnt really tell you much apart from that there is a decrease of 1.5 million pax over a 5 year period....

Is there anyway you could expand on your finding maybe by route??
That way it would tell us how the north east market has changed over the last 5 years. Have we lost our passengers to bucket and spade flights or business pax now using train?? how can the airport recover the loss in passengers??

1.5 million pax lost over 5 years im sure that the amount of unemployment has grown more than 1.5 million in the north east in the last 5 years???

im sure that 5 years ago i would have 2 summer holidays per year now i stuggle to afford 1 summer holiday away with the family and im sure that the rest of the north east families feel the same??

Looking at the business flights...

what did BRU carry 5 years ago compared to the last 12 months of operation at ncl?? also can we get the figures for DXB and LHR, AMS for the last 5 years.

EK is doing very well...

Tflyer... Well said BRS has lost its long haul routes for summer 2014 but NCL has kept there's from TOM. Does this show again that tour operators are happy with the margins at NCL compared to BRS?

We compare NCL to the likes of EMA,BRS all of the time. Does the cheaper flights there because there is more competition and profit margins are less at these airports.??

Indepentant holiday operators used to use there own planes at NCL 5 years ago. over the last few years these charters have disappeared and they have chartered seats on TOM,TCX etc.

However this summer see's the start of these returning.
We have A3,OHY and others this summer and hopefully this will cont in the next few years to come.

Jet2- there isnt many routes left for them too add.
Easyjet- hopefully more routes in the next few years

Thomson have increased flights for next summer using more of there inhouse airlines for pmi flights so the ncl based aircraft can go else where.

Thomas Cook have re added KOS for next summer.

Hopefully other holiday companies will add also for next summer

Let me know what you think

BHX5DME
14th May 2013, 22:35
1990 1,587,256
1991 1,579,883
1992 2,076,238
1993 2,143,022
1994 2,452,826
1995 2,521,448
1996 2,475,741
1997 2,642,615
1998 2,984,724
1999 2,994,051
2000 3,206,070
2001 3,431,393
2002 3,426,952
2003 3,920,204
2004 4,724,263
2005 5,200,806
2006 5,431,976
2007 5,650,716
2008 5,039,993
2009 4,587,883
2010 4,356,130
2011 4,346,270
2012 4,366,196

HH6702
14th May 2013, 23:04
Looks like they have added an extra weekly flight to Ibiza and Reus so far for next summer.

again good news and these increases will only add to the yearly totals...

im sure it will still take another few years before we hit 5m mark again but i think that the management are trying there best and the results are shown...

You can never make everyone happy on pprune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ugh:

Falcon900LX
14th May 2013, 23:08
Flight canceled on Christmas day 2012

CentreFix25
15th May 2013, 06:42
HOWEVER it doesnt really tell you much apart from that there is a decrease of 1.5 million pax over a 5 year period....

What stands out for me is the big dip when we first went into recession and then the recovery or lack of it in some cases.

The percentage drop at NCL and EMA during the first recession was significantly greater than BRS and LPL, why?

Then the period afterwards at NCL and EMA was flat where BRS has had year on year growth, why?

There are many influencing factors, but could it be as simple as the people pulling the strings not doing as good a job as their counterparts in other parts of the country?

profit margins are less at these airports.??

From the travelling publics point of view I'm not even remotely interested in what their margin is. I want cheap flights and more choice, other airports are doing a better job of this than NCL, why?

Hipennine
15th May 2013, 06:55
"From the travelling publics point of view I'm not even remotely interested in what their margin is. I want cheap flights and more choice, other airports are doing a better job of this than NCL, why?"

Well, as a local council tax payer, I am more interested in the mgmt at NCL strengthening the financial position of the airport, based on sustainably profitable air services (and they seem to be achieving that). The previous volume growth to over 5m came during a period of management that saddled the airport with huge debts (and gained the management personal fortunes), that has required a substantial re-financing at council tax payers expense and revenue loss.

SWBKCB
15th May 2013, 07:19
There are many influencing factors, but could it be as simple as the people pulling the strings not doing as good a job as their counterparts in other parts of the country?

To quote Bill Clinton "Its the economy, stupid"

The North East has always been one of the poorest areas of the country and the economy has been hit here harder and longer, so the dip at NCL has been harder and longer than at comparable airports.

The relative performance of the respective airport managements might have a marginal effect, but it basically comes down to how much money people have to spend.

I recall reading some time back that to support all the concessions at NCL then pax no.'s of c. 5M pax were mooted.
It can only be a matter of time before sustained reduced no.'s at nearer 4M begin to impact on the pax experience.

I thought retail was doing quite well at NCL, so any source for this before it joins the urban myths?

Independent holiday operators used to use there own planes at NCL 5 years ago. over the last few years these charters have disappeared and they have chartered seats on TOM,TCX etc.

However this summer see's the start of these returning. We have A3,OHY and others this summer and hopefully this will cont in the next few years to come.

Could this be down to the reduction in capacity from TCX, TOM displacing the independents and also using third parties for their own flights?

what did BRU carry 5 years ago compared to the last 12 months of operation at ncl?? also can we get the figures for DXB and LHR, AMS for the last 5 years.

EK is doing very well...

I think BRU has gone up and down depending on frequency - so 5 years ago was a daily 146, and the numbers went up with increased freq on the EMB. Also, wasn't there a post a while ago which argued that the number of 'hub' passengers was relatively constant, and they shifted around between DXB, AMS, CDG, LHR depending on price, frequency, service (had a quick look but couldn't find it).

CentreFix25
15th May 2013, 07:51
I am more interested in the mgmt at NCL strengthening the financial position of the airport

You could be an airport manager or local councillor with talk like that...
Each to their own, I want my flight to be cheaper then I'll fly more. I suspect that will be the general consensus of opinion on Northumberland Street too.

NCL has been harder and longer than at comparable airports.
You're absolutely correct about the local economy. EMA trend and numbers seem to be very similar, is their local economy similar to that of the North East or do they have differing influencing factors that I don't know about? I know the South West is a little more affluent which I think might explain a little.

Mnj1
15th May 2013, 09:12
Hi all. Quite new to pprune so try not to kick off.

With regards to the falling pax numbers and airlines pulling out, here's a few ideas of mine:

1) El Al - maybe a 3 times weekly flight, 738? I know a few Jewish people who live in the Gateshead area, and they say their community are crying out for a direct link to Israel.

2) EK twice daily - saw on here that EK want to go 2x daily NCL. Either a 77W/A350 combo or both flights A350 with the 2nd flight arriving around 1800 and departing at 1945. There's obviously demand for the flight since its doing so well.

3) USA flights - We need a USA link. I know AA scrapped it, but that was due to poor advertising. Maybe a UA flight to Newark, possibly 763? If that's to big maybe a 752/753?

Thank you
MNJ1

alex207
15th May 2013, 14:34
Here is some good news regarding the KL AMS services they have added a additional service between NCL and AMS!! Nice to see the AMS route going from strength to strength! Hopefully AF will upgrade to a A318 sooner or later?

SWBKCB
15th May 2013, 16:26
Story from the Journal:

NEW flights between Newcastle International Airport and Amsterdam have been announced for the summer.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will operate the route, boosting its number of flights to 35 a week to the Dutch capital.

This comes in addition to 19 weekly flights already offered by Air France between Newcastle and Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris.

Henri Hourcade, general manager UK Ireland at Air France and KLM, said: “Air France and KLM have a strong presence in Newcastle and this additional frequency is a direct response to customer demand.

“Despite the challenging economic climate, we’re committed to giving travellers greater flexibility and widest choice of medium and long-haul destinations.

“For us, it is about supporting regional aviation so we can make travel easier and more convenient.”

Passengers travelling on any of the linking 54 weekly flights connecting Newcastle to the rest of the world will experience hassle-free and fast connections via convenient hubs in Amsterdam Schiphol or Paris Charles de Gaulle airports.

Schiphol was voted Best Airport in Europe at the Business Traveller Awards in 2012 for the 13th consecutive year and Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport started an action plan last year called Hub 2012, which include terminals refurbishment, new buildings, and branding improvements.

35 flights a week is five a day, so isn't this the normal KLM 5 flights/smaller aircraft Winter to Summer switch (i.e not news)

EK77WNCL
15th May 2013, 16:48
Hi, Mnj1

All of what you have said are good points.

1. El Al, due to most of them being orthodox Jewish, most will likely only fly El Al, however I think 1/2 weekly will be more likely, but not any time soon.
2. Simple case of when, not if, considering Emirates said that if NCL keep growing like it is until year end, they will go 2 daily in 2015. I would expect a 77E(if they still have them)/77L or even A345 to start and then we'll probably end up 2 daily A350 by 2018-ish.
3. Again, when not if, however this one has been a bugger for the airport. If we get it, our only chance will be a x4/5 weekly 752 from UA, which is probably for the best as they have the best transatlantic 757 experience, AVOD etc.

A TK service has also been speculated, but unless you can hold your breath until about 2015/16... I wouldn't.

Our next new routes will more than likely be from Jet2. Hopefully they keep their promise of expansion to 8 based A/C next year. I can't see EZY expanding although I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong and finally, what NCL needs is more EU city routes... plenty of potential for both LS, EZY, BE etc etc etc there

Jamesair
15th May 2013, 17:03
Absolutely correct re AMS, the 35 flights is just the 5 x daily summer increase the same as 2012.

If the press really want to write a newsworthy article they should pick up on the possible loss of the Gatwick route.

Mnj1
15th May 2013, 17:31
What about TOM launching some new holiday routes as well.

1) Maldives - MLE is only served by 2 UK airports on a not so regular scale. Maybe a 1 or 2x weekly 767 service in the summer, with the potential to upgrade to the 787.

2) St Maarten - I absolutely love St Maarten. The only issue is that there is no direct service from the UK, you have to do it on a expensive full service airline via AMS or CDG. So for the summer season, similar to the above, why not try a 1x weekly 767 service on a saturday, again with 787 upgrade potential.

SWBKCB
15th May 2013, 17:45
1) El Al - maybe a 3 times weekly flight, 738? I know a few Jewish people who live in the Gateshead area, and they say their community are crying out for a direct link to Israel.

Not a chance

2) EK twice daily - saw on here that EK want to go 2x daily NCL. Either a 77W/A350 combo or both flights A350 with the 2nd flight arriving around 1800 and departing at 1945. There's obviously demand for the flight since its doing so well.

If, not when (but there again I didn't think we'd get the 1st service)

3) USA flights - We need a USA link. I know AA scrapped it, but that was due to poor advertising. Maybe a UA flight to Newark, possibly 763? If that's to big maybe a 752/753?

Again, if not when. It'll happen someday, but...

What about TOM launching some new holiday routes as well.

1) Maldives - MLE is only served by 2 UK airports on a not so regular scale. Maybe a 1 or 2x weekly 767 service in the summer, with the potential to upgrade to the 787.

2) St Maarten - I absolutely love St Maarten. The only issue is that there is no direct service from the UK, you have to do it on a expensive full service airline via AMS or CDG. So for the summer season, similar to the above, why not try a 1x weekly 767 service on a saturday, again with 787 upgrade potential.

With TOM - not a chance. But if you can raise the cash to start it up, I'll book on the first one...

I know that shy bairns get nowt and God loves an optimist, but a lot of this reads like a trip round Fantasy Island. :ok:

GAXLN
15th May 2013, 18:03
Think you will find Thomsons are pulling out of Maldives as hoteliers have become greedy. As for St. Maarten dream on if you think can be done from Newcastle as if it won't work from LGW/MAN it won't work anywhere else. A number of people on this thread do no need to smell the coffee and be more realistic about what can be achieved in this market at present. Newcastle has done very well given its catchment. KLM is an increase in capacity this summer with more EMB190 aircraft I believe with restoration of the summer fifth daily flight. Certainly very busy on my recent trip.

CentreFix25
15th May 2013, 18:29
A number of people on this thread do no need to smell the coffee and be more realistic

I do think St Maarten is a good one, someone's been looking at airliners.net to much, still second to Azerbaijan on the wish list (or where ever it was):ugh:

Skipness One Echo
15th May 2013, 21:49
So for the summer season, similar to the above, why not try a 1x weekly 767 service on a saturday, again with 787 upgrade potential.
You run the numbers and see how many people go from A to B via C. If there's enough of them it gets a direct service charged at a premium.
St Maarten is niche, any UK service would start with a London link which is lacking, so NCL has no chance.

jensdad
15th May 2013, 22:01
Re the KLM story in the Journal... I'm going off on a tangent here , but this is part of a wider problem where a lot of what we read in newspapers -especially local ones - these days isn't actually news but PR (big difference). Instead of going looking for stories they are quite happy to be spoon fed stories by the PR departments of large companies. The co I work for is a good example.
Any regular reader of the Journal & Chronicle could be forgiven for thinking that not a single route has been dropped from NCL, ever!
Anyway, rant over. I'm off for a lie down. carry on;)

HH6702
15th May 2013, 22:38
There's are answer

BBC have just reported that unemployment in the north east has risen again.
It states that the northeast is now one of the HIGHEST unemployment rates in the uk with 1 in 10 people out of work!!

Falcon900LX
16th May 2013, 00:10
Emirates said that if NCL keep growing like it is until year end, they will go 2 daily in 2015. I would expect a 77E(if they still have them)/77L or even A345 to start and then we'll probably end up 2 daily A350 by 2018-ish.

The only reason Newcastle now have the 77W is because Emirates are retiring their Airbus 340/330 fleet (as you probably know).
Now if you look at the figures for Newcastle compared to all the other Aerodromes, you can see why they waited as long as they could to 'upgrade' it, Why would they wait 5 years to put the triple onto NCL when they could've done it after 2 or 3? 220 PAX (average) for both flights EK35 and EK36 is poor the average, should be nearing 500, if you want to start calling the route successful.

The only reason I could see Newcastle ever getting a second daily is because of Cargo, PAX for EK out of Newcastle is simply extra commission, Trust me.
That is why they wouldn't ever send a 777F, Choose between cargo or PAX, or have both, A lot of people around NCL seemed to have this brainwashed idea that Newcastle Airport is the be all and end all, but Hey ho that's my opinion what can I say afterall You don't get to see figures like I do.

Thanks Falcon900LX

GrahamK
16th May 2013, 10:50
Jet2 S14

In addition to Reus and Ibiza frequncy increase, Alicante increases to 10 x weekly, double daily tuesday, thursday and saturday.
Palma also up to 10 x weekly.

Still a lot to be uploaded I guess though

HH6702
16th May 2013, 10:55
Grahamk

Thanks for the update yes I'm sure that jet2 have more too add
Hoping they may add Bulgaria ?

Thomson and Thomas cook both adding flights too

Small increases each year is what we are after.

GAXLN
16th May 2013, 13:08
Falcon900LX,

What do you mean by needs to be 500 average to call the route successful? Bit difficult when the aircraft serving the route has 428 seats or do you mean to say current average is 110 each way which adds up to 220? Just wonder what figures you may have seen? Something does not add up.

GAXLN

10 DME ARC
16th May 2013, 13:51
FA90X The average for March's DXB both flights was 570pax?????

HH6702
16th May 2013, 14:15
Well that shows that the route had out grown the airbus and the 777 was now needed???

Another 2 years then we may need a second flight as it states that the plane holds 428 once the flight starts hitting 400 daily then you do need to start thinking about adding an extra daily flight

Captain_Adams
16th May 2013, 15:06
GOOD GOD!

Falcon900LX - FINALLY someone with some sense in this forum.

What was it Kenneth Clarke said about UKIP? 'Send In The Clowns?' No need Kenneth, just look at this forum, plenty of clowns on here.

You lot going on about EL AL flights, second EK flight to DXB etc need to sit down and ask some serious questions about yourselves and your sanity.

WAKE UP you idiots! :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

JKKne
16th May 2013, 21:03
People can't speculate? Discuss what they'd like because miserable gits like you would rather sit and be a keyboard warrior with smarmy put downs?

So what if its pie in the sky stuff? At least its encouraging debate and exposing questions about how the airport is going about things which as locals, people have a literal vested tax paying interest in

On a side note, this Jewish community, I assume they use connections at the moment for things like Passover holidays etc? Must be someone getting all their business

VentureGo
16th May 2013, 21:19
CaptainAdams : No need for the tone you adopt here. I suggest you may wish to edit your derogatory comments and allow views on routes to be discussed on their prospective merits.
I doubt, before the launch of Emirates service to Dubai, - many, if any! would have taken speculation on such service seriously and may have made similar commentary to your tone on EL AL to Israel or USA flights.
Personally I doubt a service will commence to Israel, but due to the extensive security at airports demanded by the Israeli govt. and undercover armed security personnel on all of their flights due to the increased risks.
New York should and probably will happen - I believe the obstacle is not viability in terms of pax or freight, but the routes via all accessible hubs : (LHR,CDG,AMS,FRA,etc...) are dominated by codeshare partners of legacy US airlines feeding from BA,AF,KLM,LH, etc... being members of Oneworld, Star, Skyteam etc...

johnnychips
16th May 2013, 21:30
WAKE UP you idiots!

Do we really need that?

HH6702
16th May 2013, 21:42
Captainadams... Looks like u have upset a lot of people!!

I bet 5 years ago you were one of the many people that said the daily Dubai would never work??

As it has been stated many times before on here yes it may not happen tomorrow or next week but one day Newcastle will gain the routes that it needs..

New York will happen its just the right airline at the right time..
I believe that if American or united did start the route summer only next year say 5x weekly I think they would be shocked at the amount of pax willing to use it... However as said which airline is will to take that gamble?? None at the minute and yes it will hit other hubs mainly KLM?

Only time will tell.....

To the rest of you let's start a new rumour??

I'm going to say we need a link to Russia??

Skipness One Echo
16th May 2013, 22:01
New York will happen its just the right airline at the right time..
I believe that if American or united did start the route summer only next year say 5x weekly
Garbage.
American are withdrawing the transatalantic B757 operation completely are they're not going to start NCL with a B767-300ER. Continental started the whole regional game with the B757 in the UK but they're now merged with the airline that had one UK destination in the last 19 years. I can't think of another route either carrier serves less than daily in summer across the pond. Why should it start? The UK is already up to it's ears in loss making regional airports chasing lower and lower yields.

Emirates are miracle workers but there's a finite market and they did well at GLA by stealing market share from BA, KL and BD. That was already a bigger pond to fish in and GLA was achieving much higher load factors than NCL is before it got a second gig. The best example is BHX which has ground to a halt at 2 x B77Ws from EK and a single UA B757. The market is right sizing after a growth bubble which outside the major airports is unsustainable.

Falcon900LX
16th May 2013, 22:42
It's interesting to see that many people share my view, Newcastle is and forever will be ( In my eyes ) a 3 - 4 Million Pax airport, Solely because of the surrounding dromes

EK77WNCL
16th May 2013, 23:06
I don't want to cause more argument, but a few points.

1. EK themselves have said they want 2 daily to NCL if it expands more this year.
2. They must see something as they proved at the end of last year while a couple of 77W's were in for maintenence that they have spare 77L's available to operate the route if needs be, yet they still use the 77W.
3. EK is (reportedly) carrying an average of 250 pax per flight, 500 per day and Business is reportedly selling well. I'll try and get the load info in August when I next travel on them

Also regarding El Al I can see the extra security being a problem and to answer someone's query about religious festivals. I would assume that due to them being orthodox they will drive to LTN/LHR and take the daily (except Saturday) 763/772 from LTN or 744 from LHR. Bearing in mind that Gateshead also has the largest Talmudical College in Europe...

Finally, from previous experience, if TOM were to start NCL-SXM it would likely be significantly more expensive than flying AF/KL or BA/AA etc. And the same case for the Maldives, looking in previous years it had been approximately £2800 for 3 adults return on Emirates from NCL and about £6000 for 3 adults return from LGW.

Although I want to see NCL do well, I think they need to excercise caution, as said before, small yearly increases is good.

CentreFix25
17th May 2013, 06:34
I'm all for sensible debate without any cheap digs, but I have to agree with captain_adams...

Some of the routes mentioned are wish lists of individuals and not serious money making opportunities for for an airline. Don't forget the pax numbers are reducing and as someone has already pointed out the North East has the highest unemployment in the country.

If you think of the more sensible suggestions or the routes we've had and couldn't sustain...

Milan, Madrid, Berlin, Brussels, Hamburg and Toronto - what chance have the others got.

GrahamK
17th May 2013, 09:54
Selected April stats:
Copenhagen: 1424
Paris CDG|: 11811 -26%
Dusseldorf: 2805 -21%
Dublin 11640 -15%
Amsterdam 30420 +29%
Stavanger 2144 +1%
Dubai 16596 +29% average load of 64.6% based on a 428 seater every day (works out at an averag load of 276 pax per flight - i.e. if the A332 was still operating, just under 100% loads)
Gatwick 6607 -6%
Heathrow 39898 -2%

Overall: 324492 during the month, an increase of 3.1%. Last 12 months 4.36m, an increase of 0.7%

Heathrow Harry
17th May 2013, 10:27
EK also have a lot of new aircraft to keep busy - and they are in some ways a LCA for international - I can see them going to 2 flights a day if only for the connecting traffic - quite a few people go Newcastle - South Africa via Dubai now - it's longer but a lot cheaper than going via LHR