PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Another_Dude
9th Aug 2013, 13:10
Any info on easyjets machines for summer14? Will there be more 320s?

El Bunto
9th Aug 2013, 15:45
F-86A G-SABR arrived at Aldergrove this afternoon around 16:00. Presumably overnighting for the Newcastle show tomorrow.

eastern wiseguy
9th Aug 2013, 17:29
Providing top cover for the Vulcan's raid on 04 at BHD <evil> :)

El Bunto
9th Aug 2013, 21:50
Providing top cover for the Vulcan's raid on 04 at BHD:E

But we all know a Vulcan can't do anything without 32 Victors to drag it along!

/me scans the horizon

flying officer kite
10th Aug 2013, 09:24
32 Victors- that must be a difficult roll call!!

I wont quit my day job..

BFS BHD
11th Aug 2013, 13:24
Ryanairs Learjet M-ABEU (I think) just arrived at BFS and is parked up on stand 10. Wonder what they are up to at BFS? :ooh:

Never mind not him was a callsign that sounded like Ryanair!

GAZMO
11th Aug 2013, 14:11
Do you think there is an announcement in the air

Was posted on Irish News website some time ago about FR in talks with BFS?

eastern wiseguy
11th Aug 2013, 14:37
Leo might be looking for horses ........allegedly

EI-BUD
14th Aug 2013, 19:47
Aeroflot airbus 319 enroute Moscow to Belfast
Reg VP-BUO SU7180.

Arrives 2305, departs 2355. Quite an unusual visitor.

BFS BHD
14th Aug 2013, 19:57
Football charter

shoe shine
15th Aug 2013, 16:03
In BFS for the second time this week and the place is so quiet now it's frightening to think what it will be like in the middle of winter. Where will the growth come from? This has to be the priority for the new owners.

GAZMO
15th Aug 2013, 16:24
As usual lots of talk at start of year (50th anniversary etc etc), but as usual nothing. Agree new owners need to look at what previous management have been doing to attract new routes.......or should I say what they have not been doing!!

BFS BHD
15th Aug 2013, 16:35
So do the new management take over straight away or does it take a while for take over?

eastern wiseguy
15th Aug 2013, 17:08
previous management

Wrong target.......BIAL management works bloody hard at route development.......their former lords and masters however....allegedly:ugh:

GAZMO
15th Aug 2013, 18:00
They may work hard but proof is the new routes?
How many new airlines or routes in the past three years compared to the losses

eastern wiseguy
15th Aug 2013, 18:22
We have just suffered a massive recession. There is more than one aggressive competitor looking to grow a similar market. The current owners were (allegedly)responsible for turning down a very substantial player in the European market. This is an opportunity for BIAL to advance.

SecondDog
16th Aug 2013, 08:37
We have just suffered a massive recession. There is more than one aggressive competitor looking to grow a similar market. The current owners were (allegedly)responsible for turning down a very substantial player in the European market. This is an opportunity for BIAL to advance.

It seems like they (Spanish) have just ridden the Easy cash cow but who is to say what goes on behind the scenes? If it has been the case that the owners have hamstrung the current directors' business development efforts, the sale can only be a good thing. Based on the price they have reportedly paid, BFS will make up the main asset in those purchased and when you read their website they do seem to buy, invest and then sell on (Toronto and Budapest being the examples) It just depends on whether they can find any wiggle room for growth with a (part)state funded major international airport 2 hours down the road. Lets face it, Dublin is the reason we have been talking for so long about why there are no major route announcements from BFS and not the lack of effort by the BFS management.

BFS BHD
16th Aug 2013, 12:11
Another 11.8 drop for the stats for July :rolleyes:

BFS BHD
17th Aug 2013, 19:27
Belfast International Airport has been voted 4th worst airport in UK by 'Which? Survey'.

1. London Luton 43%
2. London Heathrow Terminal One 45%
3. London Heathrow Terminal Three 46%
4. Belfast International 48%
5. London Heathrow Terminal Four 49%

BBC News - London Southend Airport is rated best in the UK (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23738060)

GAZMO
17th Aug 2013, 21:27
Looks like TOM flights to SSH are being cancelled until mid September

EI-A330-300
17th Aug 2013, 21:46
BFS not affected until the UK Government advise operators. This is just the republic, BFS flights still on sale.

ILS25
18th Aug 2013, 11:19
Belfast International Airport has been voted 4th worst airport in UK by 'Which? Survey'.

1. London Luton 43%
2. London Heathrow Terminal One 45%
3. London Heathrow Terminal Three 46%
4. Belfast International 48%
5. London Heathrow Terminal Four 49%

I disagree with this. Heathrow's not that bad.

SecondDog
18th Aug 2013, 13:22
Another pointless survey, does anyone mean to tell me that they would choose a different flight based on the results of this survey?

'yes dear there is a flight with Easyjet from Belfast that is 9.99 plus add ons but we'll not go because the security man didn't smile at me last time we went there and there was nobody in the smoking room to open the door for me so I had to pay a pound'

Or will we go there because they have the flight we want at the time we want and we'll spend a grand total of 2 hours in the place before we go on our trip?

GAZMO
18th Aug 2013, 15:27
Have to agree Second Dog with your comment. I have used BFS can found no problems. Most pax only spend one hour before their flight. All security at airports are a real pain, but we have to accept this. Go through, grap a cup of coffee and get on your way

Have used all three mentioned terminals at LHR and have had no issues at all

Just read the survey......Inverness got 68% rate........but that was based on a sample size of 69 pax.........say no more !!!!

El Bunto
18th Aug 2013, 21:25
Another pointless survey, does anyone mean to tell me that they would choose a different flight based on the results of this survey?Well if the airport itself were unimportant, why bother with heating and glass ceiling-height windows and carpets? Just a big warehouse would suffice with doors exiting out to the aircraft ( no need for airbridges since passengers are only interested in the flight ).

Why did Heathrow ever evolve beyond marquee tents and duckboards?

Airports have to attract customers, particularly if there is a local competitor that has flights to the same destinations.

Passengers are required to be on premises two hours before a domestic flight; if the environment is not tolerable they will remember that in future. It won't be 90% of their future planning decisions but it will be a factor.

I'll not be using Bristol or Luton airports willingly any time in the future so any flights to / from there are immediately irrelevant. Belfast City is wavering on the 'avoid' list ( security is a mess ). Leeds Bradford on several occasions didn't have the gate ready for arrival so another one to avoid.

Where else now... Heathrow is utter chaos so avoid that. London City and Stansted were always good experiences to I'll consider flights there. East Midlands was ropey but at least fairly comfortable.

GAZMO
18th Aug 2013, 21:43
End of the day we have to fly to a particular destination. if its LTN, BRS or LBA we just have to get on with it. We should not grumble!!!!

SecondDog
19th Aug 2013, 00:35
Well if the airport itself were unimportant, why bother with heating and glass ceiling-height windows and carpets? Just a big warehouse would suffice with doors exiting out to the aircraft ( no need for airbridges since passengers are only interested in the flight ).

Not unimportant, just a means to an end, if there was such a facility at BFS and it had a weekly flight to Canada or a range of direct US services then I would be happy enough

Why did Heathrow ever evolve beyond marquee tents and duckboards?

Because they found out that people pay for their creature comforts. (I understand that I can live without the razzle-dazzle but many others choose not to)

Airports have to attract customers, particularly if there is a local competitor that has flights to the same destinations.

It has to have the flights first, that is what my point is, the airport doesn't attract customers, the flights do and then the airport tries to make extra money off the people while they are waiting to board. Airports should focus first on route development otherwise that is the main factor in decreasing pax numbers not fusspots who lose their rag over something simple and then cut their own nose off to spite their face by refusing themselves a service in the future.

Passengers are required to be on premises two hours before a domestic flight; if the environment is not tolerable they will remember that in future. It won't be 90% of their future planning decisions but it will be a factor.

Checkin opens 2 hours before (domestic), lots of domestic/business pax leave it til the hour mark (specially now with the online checkin and hand luggage based travel (so becoming less of an issue)

I'll not be using Bristol or Luton airports willingly any time in the future so any flights to / from there are immediately irrelevant. Belfast City is wavering on the 'avoid' list ( security is a mess ). Leeds Bradford on several occasions didn't have the gate ready for arrival so another one to avoid.

Where else now... Heathrow is utter chaos so avoid that. London City and Stansted were always good experiences to I'll consider flights there. East Midlands was ropey but at least fairly comfortable.

You don't seem to be leaving yourself many so you can understand my thinking above....? It will be you who loses out in the long run by paying more from a different airport.

Seriously, if you have a bad experience at an airport, go through their complaints system, more than likely you get something extra (gift tokens etc) out of that and you highlight a problem they can work on!

GAZMO
21st Aug 2013, 07:07
Looks like EZY are pulling the SEN route from January. Comment on SEN thread and also checked the EZY website
If true I would be sorry to see it go. Maybe will revert the capacity back to STN

BHD2BFS
21st Aug 2013, 17:19
Maybe we will see EIR take over the route in BHD with smaller capacity it maybe more profitable, could they use the based ac they have there and use a Dub based ac for that route?

BFS BHD
26th Aug 2013, 22:17
Anyone no when the TCX A321 will come back to BFS?

Does anyone no when easyjet will put BFS flights on sale for early next summer?

When does the new owners take over BFS? :):)

IrishFlyer2013
26th Aug 2013, 22:27
The TCX A321 is due back on the 04 of Sept.

BFS BHD
26th Aug 2013, 22:31
Thanks for that :ok:

Stanstedeye
30th Aug 2013, 19:25
Due Tomorrow at 05.30 3G1600 from Banjul.
Gambia Bird have two 319's, & this should be a Gatwick destination.

BFS BHD
1st Sep 2013, 15:42
I guess Jersey Airport and Blackpool Airport is dropped for Jet2.com at Belfast International Airport nothing uploaded on jet2 website for 2014 :(

GAZMO
1st Sep 2013, 17:46
I am very sorry to see JER off the map.
I have used regularly during the summer season and flights have been very full
They even carried more pax this July compared to last July?
Maybe EZY will step in

GAZMO
4th Sep 2013, 09:19
No change or new routes for EZY from BFS for Spring 14......disappointing?

shoe shine
4th Sep 2013, 11:42
Gazmo, disappointing indeed but not surprising. Have you any idea when the new owners will make an appearance and if there will be a change in strategic direction under their ownership that might actually result in some growth in business.

BFS BHD
4th Sep 2013, 11:45
Yea does anyone no when the new owners will show?

GAZMO
4th Sep 2013, 12:11
Sorry do not know when new owners will appear. I did read that the purchase was subject to shareholder approval so it could be some time

BFS BHD
4th Sep 2013, 19:19
Alicante- 1 Daily
Amsterdam- 1 Daily
Barcelona- 4 Weekly
Birmingham- 15 Weekly
Bristol- 17 Weekly
Edinburgh-19 Weekly
Faro- 8 Weekly (2 on Sat)
Glasgow- 23 Weekly
Ibiza- 1 Weekly (On Sat)
Krakow- 3 Weekly
Liverpool- 33 Weekly
Gatwick- 31 Weekly
Luton- 20 Weekly
Southend- DROPPED
Stansted- 21 Weekly
Palma- 9 Weekly
Malaga- 8 Weekly
Malta- 2 Weekly
Manchester- 17 Weekly
Newcastle- 16 Weekly
Nice- 2 Weekly
Paris- 6 Weekly (No Sat)

Nothing exciting at ALL!

cuthere
4th Sep 2013, 20:09
I assume one of your Glasgow figures refers to Gatwick?

GAZMO
4th Sep 2013, 20:51
Can only keep fingers crossed that they might look at July onwards for some new routes.....maybe JER since Jet2 appear to be dropping it

BFS BHD
4th Sep 2013, 20:59
Now fixed :)

GAZMO
4th Sep 2013, 21:44
I suppose 269 flights per week is not that bad?

FourTrails
5th Sep 2013, 10:32
Bonjour, I think easyJet may have an announcement shortly :oh:

GAZMO
5th Sep 2013, 11:08
Rumour or do you have inside knowledge?

ILS25
6th Sep 2013, 12:45
Easy are celebrating 15 years at BFS on Monday so if an announcement is due it will probably be then.

Bfs bloke
6th Sep 2013, 18:22
Lyon perchance ?

EI-BUD
7th Sep 2013, 04:48
Surely an Italian route for summer must be worth considering? Strong demand coupled with typically high fares ex Dublin in summer must make this attractive.

Other than that maybe a canaries route.....

FRatSTN
7th Sep 2013, 08:31
Do we even know that it's new routes? If not then maybe we shouldn't be getting too hopeful just yet.

flying officer kite
7th Sep 2013, 08:46
Yes it is, but the details dont go public for a while.

FRatSTN
7th Sep 2013, 08:53
So do you know of any other airports getting new EasyJet routes then?

EI-BUD
7th Sep 2013, 11:30
On the subject of routes, with the BE withdrawal from Gatwick, I wouldn't be surprised if EZY increased frequency on BFS LGW by at least 1 per day or launched BHD LGW. Yes they said last foray into BHD delivered no 'tangible' benefits, but this is quite different... Watch this space.!

GAZMO
7th Sep 2013, 13:19
Cannot see EZY splitting LGW between the Belfast airports.
06.25 early flight, last arrival 22.40 and by reports LF are good on these flights from BFS.

Fingers crossed for Monday, but this is a rumour thread!!!!

BFS BHD
7th Sep 2013, 13:55
Was listening to the tower on radio and yesterday the fire crew where doing a practice water arch on taxiway Charlie and they said it was a practices for next week. ;)

EI-BUD
7th Sep 2013, 14:04
Gazmo; I'd agree, would seem odd splitting the Gatwick route but a few things to bear in mind ;

Last month BHD LGW had 42k pax
Whereas BFS LGW has 32k , performance driven by low prices and peak season but given that EI are getting a very respectable proportion on the business on FAO and AGP, EZY may want to cement their overall LGW market share.

Feels like so far they are replicating BE routes eg night stop at INV (rather than launch a new/diff route) , JER announced and rumours of NCL( though I doubt this one ). We shall wait and see...

BHD2BFS
7th Sep 2013, 15:16
possible just practicing to celebrate 15 years
doesnt mean a new route

tigger2k8
7th Sep 2013, 15:23
Will just have to wait and see :).

ILS25
7th Sep 2013, 15:33
Yes it's for the 15 year celebration.

GAZMO
7th Sep 2013, 17:14
Agree to an extent with your views, yes BHD to LGW 42K pax but that is with seven flights per day (assuming weekdays) compare to EZY five.

I think EI will go to four daily to LGW from BHD but that still leaves a sizeable gap, since no SEN and the four daily BE to LGW.

EZY might consider upping STN as they promised new owners an increase in the coming years. Could certainly see a sixth EZY to LGW on selected days from BFS

You state JER announced. Am I correct in assuming this is referring to LGW to JER or have you heard something about BFS to JER?

mart901
7th Sep 2013, 17:32
Don't forget Gazmo although there will be 4x BE missing from the market EI appeared from cold with 3x and at one point 4x daily on top of BE, EI having larger a/c as well so we are kinda back where we were when BE go. I agree STN has room for more, LTN too as both these have been curtailed.

GAZMO
7th Sep 2013, 17:39
Hi Mart901

Yes agree with EI on the LGW market more pax appear to be using this route. initially EZY had a drop in numbers but have appeared to have pulled these back on the LON routes
LHR is the route that seems to have lost out. Since November when EI moved the LHR route to BHD there has been a drop on pax on the LHR route (compared to previous year, both BHD and BFS combined) each month, except December (will stand corrected if wrong)

mart901
7th Sep 2013, 17:45
Yup, I'd say its because there's only so many pax to go round and they will follow the deals - SEN is a shame but I think the a/c was too big for the demand.

mart901
7th Sep 2013, 17:51
Also notice EI scheduling in A320 from next summer, that's an extra 90 seats in each direction daily.

EI-BUD
7th Sep 2013, 18:06
Agree to an extent with your views, yes BHD to LGW 42K pax but that is with
seven flights per day (assuming weekdays) compare to EZY five.

I think EI
will go to four daily to LGW from BHD but that still leaves a sizeable gap,
since no SEN and the four daily BE to LGW.

Gazmo;
Not heard nothing about a BFS JER, I was referring to LGW JER.

Interestingly, in terms of seats on the LGW Belfast flights;

The 5 daily ex BFS and the 7 daily ex BHD amount to quite similar capacity
BFS LGW 5 daily x 156 = 780 (and some can be 320)
BHD LGW 7 daily, 3*144 + 4*118= 904

In terms of EI going to x4 daily, they had designs on that last Spring, so quite conceiveable they would go for that again. However, pre EI on BHD LGW, BE has x5 daily x 118 =590 seats and were achieving about 20K pax per month and worth nothing that they were growing their numbers consistently even as EI/FR/WX came and went the market. So 4 daily EI sounds about right.

Quite conceivable that STN could get an extra daily rotation and LGW too, again I wouldnt rule out BHD LGW. We shall see. It depends on EZYs view on EI competiton in the BFS market. However, EZY stepping on EI on the BHD LGW would probably result in EI pulling the route and transferring the aircraft to other European routes e.g. ALC and the like, which will challenge EZY on a different route.

On a different note, we shall sit tight and see how BA use their T1 DUB and BHD slots of 8 and 7 respectively when the new long haul aircraft arriving at a rate of 2 a month materialise. The overall London market seems a bit fluid again, with movers and shakers!!

EI-BUD

EI-BUD
7th Sep 2013, 18:13
Mart901,

Also notice EI scheduling in A320 from next summer, that's an extra 90 seats
in each direction daily.

This is good news. The 319s seem appropriate to many Dublin routes and in recent weeks I noted 319 on many routes, e.g. Dublin/Amsterdam, Dublin/Stuttgart, Dublin/Stockholm, Dublin/Manchester and Dublin/Birmingham, so EI will be happy to make the swap.

EI-BUD

GAZMO
7th Sep 2013, 18:22
Interesting comments guys

With EI using A320 maybe they might stick to the three daily with good yields and LF rather than going for the four daily

EI-BUD - I think ALC is well served by LS and EZY. LS over the past few years have increased ALC rather than nearby Murcia. EI in the past have tried numerous routes from BFS with limited success apart from FAO and AGP.

EI have competed on CDG, AMS etc with EZY and withdrew

Lets wait and see

Husky One
7th Sep 2013, 18:26
If I were a betting man I'd say
BFS-JER and BFS-BOD or LYS announced next week and likely done at the expense or something else as there are no additional airframes for BFS

EI-BUD
7th Sep 2013, 18:33
Gazmo

You are correct about EI trying many routes and not succeeding in the past. However, I would argue two points, firstly in terms of ALC it did well. I cannot confirm the yield as most others cannot, but I would suggest if LGW had not materialised, ALC would still be operating. keeping the successful AGP and FAO at daily would have meant a 4th ac needed. In any case all hypotetical as PMI was brought on etc. etc. and not ALC restored. I would be hopeful that 2014 would see another European route.

Second point, EI launched a raft of European routes from day 1 and they had the odds stacked against them. Firstly, EZY themselves only have a small number of Winter Euro routes, and the market is extremely seasonal. FR entered the market and had widespread £1 each way seats to STN and 30k pax per month were flying, which likely attracted many city break flyers to London rather than Europe. Add to this the hardest Winter economically we had seen for some time. Airlines reported a most difficult trading period that Winter...

Many of those routes were launched at the wrong time (easy to look back and appraise the situation I guess), however, many could work now with 144 seats, on appropriate frequency. CDG was a disaster as when EI launched it so too did BE a daily E195, so the capacity trippled on the route over night and EZY had a tough summer on that flight too....

EI-BUD

elle may clampit
7th Sep 2013, 19:22
Def ezy route announcements on Mon - i've heard various possibilites from Aberdeen and Leeds, to a Berlin re-launch plus MAD.

All to be revealed :ok:

mart901
7th Sep 2013, 19:40
EI-BUD

I would almost go a bit further to say I think a lot of EI's wildfire euro city expansion from BFS/LGW was hinged on 2 things, fighting off take over and flexing muscle at trade unions - I.e. saying to investors look at us expanding outside of Ireland we don't need FR and to the unions the threat of moving operations out of DUB. I think its possible they intended to chuck some money at these causes and expected losses. And then look, some years on they've settled into what's profitable, sunshine and London. Who's saying that wasn't always the master plan.

EI-A330-300
7th Sep 2013, 19:44
Just a comment on the A320 being scheduled out of BHD next summer to LGW, its not actually, flights are still capped at 144 pax. As EI-BUD said it will likely go 4 daily and that will be with 319's before any A320 appears on the route.

Also the comments about ALC, I have a feeling it may replace PMI next year for a number of reasons.

EI-BUD
7th Sep 2013, 20:15
hi EI-330-300,

Thanks for that. I think you are right, I'd say ALC has much longer run over the summer season, starting early and lasting longer... PMI very seasonal.

The 319 based at BHD did the following pattern each day this summer and the timetable looks similar for next year:
BHD-LGW-BHD-LGW-NOC-LGW-BHD, and I cant see a 320 appearing on LGW NOC, so would surprise me if 320 appeared.....

EI-BUD

GAZMO
7th Sep 2013, 20:21
Hi Guys

We must have not else better to do on a Saturday night than post comments here.

However very valid and interesting views / comments

Monday should be an interesting day for EZY comments

J-Guy
7th Sep 2013, 21:58
Belfast to Jersey was previously on sale with Jet2 for next summer so I am surprised it has been dropped.

EZY did say last week that it would look to launch further routes from Jersey so there might be a possibility of a Belfast service. It would be an obvious fit.

GAZMO
7th Sep 2013, 22:44
I never saw it on the Jet2 website for summer 2014 as I have been trying to book flights for May 2014?
Monday is sure going to be a busy day for this thread

KNT544
9th Sep 2013, 06:12
Bordeaux and Jersey to be served by EZY from BFS.

Latest news - easyJet plc (http://corporate.easyjet.com/media/latest-news/news-year-2013/09-09-2013-en.aspx?sc_lang=en)

GAZMO
9th Sep 2013, 07:12
Great news, I am assuming both will be seasonal. Any new routes most welcome

KNT544
9th Sep 2013, 07:15
I don't know Gazmo but just noticed the following in that link:
Today easyJet has 6 aircraft based permanently at Belfast International Airport

GAZMO
9th Sep 2013, 07:33
Normally five based in winter and six in summer. Can always hope that BFS management are drip feeding us the good news

BFS BHD
9th Sep 2013, 09:03
Well done to BFS and EZY! :ok:

GAZMO
10th Sep 2013, 09:08
Just noticed flight EZE9201 coming in from Luton this morning. Anybody any ideas, or plane just repositioning

BFS BHD
10th Sep 2013, 22:13
Seen it on the departs page last week and now on again for tomorrow is this a weekly charter??

GAZMO
11th Sep 2013, 06:35
LS tend to run charters for the travel department at this time of the year. Hopefully someone can confirm this

Keyvon
11th Sep 2013, 09:03
Yes, is a charter flight operated for The Travel Department since various summer seasons.

vectors
13th Sep 2013, 20:50
Just wondering if anyone knows why a Titan 767 has just arrived at EGAA in the last 5 minutes. :confused:

tigger2k8
14th Sep 2013, 15:05
Business at the other side of the runway

carsonEGAD
14th Sep 2013, 23:44
From what I heard the Titan B767 was a troop flight from LHR.

left rudder
16th Sep 2013, 09:57
This summer, Dublin Airport had 224 flights to and from North America every week, which is the equivalent of 32 flights per day. “We have better connectivity to North America than Gatwick or Manchester airports and more transatlantic flights than many large airports in continental Europe and the extra services that we welcomed this year are helping to boost our transfer passenger numbers,” Mr Harrison said. “Dublin Airport’s range of destinations and airlines provides unrivalled choice and convenience for passengers, not just in Ireland but also overseas,” he added.

Hi

Sourced this from recent DAA press release.

Reason for posting is to move thread on from anal iterations of Jersey/ Bordeaux seasonal offerings to a First World aviation scene.

Belfast / NI needs a radical long term aviation policy focused on improving connectivity from the North of Ireland to Asia and North America. Not to pursue this will further diminish inward investment and economic growth.

A difficult but not impossible task. If you think that this is not possible think again.
Shannon is a striking example of radical and "unthinkable" ideas acted upon.
Here endeth the lesson:)

CCR
16th Sep 2013, 10:30
Shannon has 6 carriers flying to North America because the main population centre in Munster, Cork is unable to compete for long haul services because of its short 7,000ft runway.

stab3.5up
16th Sep 2013, 10:49
Political thoughts aside. Is it not time that we just take on board that DUB is the international gateway to Ireland north and south and build on that and let the regional airports around the island function as just that..regional airports. What other countries in the world the size of this island have so many airports all trying to get what crumbs they can get Would it not be money better speant to try and get an Irish HS2 type train linking Belfast and Dublin Airport or at least make both parts of the island equal when taxing air fares!

j636
16th Sep 2013, 11:08
Political thoughts aside. Is it not time that we just take on board that DUB is the international gateway to Ireland north and south and build on that and let the regional airports around the island function as just that..regional airports. What other countries in the world the size of this island have so many airports all trying to get what crumbs they can get Would it not be money better speant to try and get an Irish HS2 type train linking Belfast and Dublin Airport or at least make both parts of the island equal when taxing air fares!

NI ministers are looking to upgrade the Belfast-Dublin route to increase speed and reduce journey time while an hourly service would be introduced. The main problem is being a cross border route with two operators.

Skipness One Echo
16th Sep 2013, 11:14
which is the equivalent of 32 flights per day
It's fourteen scheduled flights per day out of DUB to North America.
AC/AA/DL/DL/UA/UA/US/US and EI x 6. I'm assuming that if they count each turnaround as two flights that gets them to 28, then adding in TS still leaves that number a little high...

EI-A330-300
16th Sep 2013, 11:20
It's fourteen scheduled flights per day out of DUB to North America.
AC/AA/DL/DL/UA/UA/US/US and EI x 6. I'm assuming that if they count each turnaround as two flights that gets them to 28, then adding in TS still leaves that number a little high...

AA have 2 daily flights
DL have 3 extra weekly
TS have 5 weekly

Can't remember but US may have 1 or two extra weekly as well.

CCR
16th Sep 2013, 11:48
If the authorities in the Republic were serious about Dublin Airport, they would build a rail spur from the Belfast to Dublin line from north of Malahide to Dublin Airport and onwards through the Phoenix Park tunnel to Heuston station connecting up Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Galway, Kerry and all the stations along those rail lines to Dublin airport but it ain`t going to happen.

Belfast and Cork should continue to build up their infrastructure to bid for transatlantic traffic and attract more US direct investment to their regions where currently the vast majority goes into Dublin.

AIRPORT66
16th Sep 2013, 12:18
Dublin is a bigger market than 2 belfast airports bigger in bound tourism and business traveller plus the airport and one main airline is state owned reason the government down south is handing all these airlines huge subsides and cheaper landing fee deals to get them through the quieter winter months belfast is not its has been in private ownership for years people who did not give a toss about it would not give it money to start up long haul routes in the past its no mystery that air canada,emerates, and delta had agreed to start flying from belfast but the spanish owner would not give start up subsides so where did they go dublin where they did get it now that belfast is under new ownership maybe they will put money on the table and start to fight to get some these airlines back into talks about flying from belfast.

Jamie2k9
16th Sep 2013, 12:19
If the authorities in the Republic were serious about Dublin Airport, they would build a rail spur from the Belfast to Dublin line from north of Malahide to Dublin Airport and onwards through the Phoenix Park tunnel to Heuston station connecting up Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Galway, Kerry and all the stations along those rail lines to Dublin airport but it ain`t going to happen.

That would be the plan but it cannot happen until DART underground is build, the city centre doesn't have the capacity to allow this and the Phoenix Park tunnel isn't fit for purpose as Connolly station couldn't handle such traffic, currently its more less at capacity but works are being carried out to increase it to 20 trains per hour but it won't be enough to allow full usage to airport from regional cities. Dart Underground is the only way for it to work.

The whole project is being reviewed in 2015 when the next investment plan is announced and this project could have 2.2 billion made available for it. It would cost around 4 billion to fully complete. All major road projects have being completed so this is most likely to be granted. as many people want to and it will have the most benefit to transport in Dublin.

SecondDog
16th Sep 2013, 16:04
I wish it were possible for Belfast to win some new transatlantic routes with a major carrier but in my thinking they have let Dublin get too far ahead and coupled with the US Border pre-clearance in DUB, the future is bleak unless Ryanair finally decide to send one of their 738s to New York/Boston to start a loco Transatlantic carrier. In that case, Belfast should be fighting tooth and nail to get MOL to base it in BFS.

And then some of you are talking about starting an Asian route, from N.Ireland???? shall we just call that a money pit and move on?

Someone else touched on it above, a lot of the backing for the DUB routes is from Govt subsidies. Seeing how everyone at Stormont has their GBBCA rose tinted glasses on, this is not likely to manifest itself at BFS any time soon!

EI-A330-300
16th Sep 2013, 17:15
Second dog

No routes operating from DUB are backed by governments. All operators are 100% commercial. The only discount carriers get in the first few years is airport charges, Clearly the DAA look for business and get airlines in. When did Belfast last get a new scheduled carrier, its being years and even in the good times airlines didn't come.

You got APD largely cut from North for long haul flights. Government money for air routes doesn't last forever and even if it was offered carriers still need the route to be viable after it is,

Jack1985
16th Sep 2013, 17:18
a lot of the backing for the DUB routes is from Govt subsidies.

Where did you pull that one out of?:bored:

CCR
16th Sep 2013, 17:56
BFS needs to go after Ryanair once they start getting new jet deliveries in a year`s time.
Like them or loath them, low cost carriers are the only real growth area these days.

SecondDog
18th Sep 2013, 17:50
Quote:
a lot of the backing for the DUB routes is from Govt subsidies.
Where did you pull that one out of?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wbored.gif

Erm well since the Irish Govt abandoned any form of APD There is a huge boost straight away (If thats not a subsidy then it is as near as it needs to be). Plus there will be all the usual support from tourist boards and investment funds, you are all dreaming if you think otherwise.

Belfast still can't get rid of APD despite a border with a direct competitor, never mind a much smaller market to start with for getting any sort of air route startup investment.

So I think I'm spot on with my assessment of BFS' chance of getting any form of transatlantic route other than a loco startup.

EI-A330-300
18th Sep 2013, 18:25
Erm well since the Irish Govt abandoned any form of APD There is a huge boost straight away (If thats not a subsidy then it is as near as it needs to be). Plus there will be all the usual support from tourist boards and investment funds, you are all dreaming if you think otherwise.

Belfast still can't get rid of APD despite a border with a direct competitor, never mind a much smaller market to start with for getting any sort of air route startup investment.

So I think I'm spot on with my assessment of BFS' chance of getting any form of transatlantic route other than a loco startup.

They reduced the APD tax, what's the big deal, instead of increasing it for all carriers they decided to cap it at 3 euro to help airlines and to get some sort of revenue and not to affect growth. Tourism is important to our economy and yes it receives funding to promote Ireland (mind you NI also pay a fixed amount every year for them to be included in the marketing.) It supports thousands of jobs. Airlines don't receive a penny of the money, it is purely used to promote Ireland in x or y city.

Dublin didn't tell London to introduce APD and Dublin, its your authorities and the people who were elected in the North that are in charge of APD there. Anyway its only a couple of euro in the difference, that would not deter a carrier from coming to BFS if the market was there. If 7 euro or so sways a airline to come to DUB you are mistaking.

Scotland have set up there own fund for carriers to fly there, what's stopping people in Belfast from doing the same. NOTHING!

People in the North were not complaining when it was 10 euro from DUB and NOTHING from the North, airlines were not very eager to come then either.

There is a big difference in Gov's paying airlines to operate a route for x period of time and a tourism body marketing a place in certain cities.

Skipness One Echo
18th Sep 2013, 19:05
Well that's not true now is it?
It's considerably more than a "couple of Euros", it's set from London for the UK and NI with some dispensation to UA's BFS operation as it was killing it, and Scotland's Route Development Fund was wound up before it was ruled illegal state subsidy.

j636
18th Sep 2013, 19:12
Well that's not true now is it?
It's considerably more than a "couple of Euros", it's set from London for the UK and NI with some dispensation to UA's BFS operation as it was killing it, and Scotland's Route Development Fund was wound up before it was ruled illegal state subsidy.

Think EI means the difference now, 12 pound to 3 euro which is around 9 pound or so.

We all know it was set form London but Berlin, Brussels, Rome also have taxes like this one and all have borders, but as said above the ROI had it before the North and it didn't make carriers flock to Belfast from DUB, nothing has changed.

Yet again people still don't understand the small population of IRL means only one airport will be a hub. Belfast has hardly no other routes besides sun and UK ones and people expect Long Haul carriers to operate lots of flights. Come on people, it will never happen.

In the UK London, Manchester will be the main LH hubs while GLA/EDI will be to an extend. Other won't but they will have there NY flight.

Jack1985
18th Sep 2013, 19:25
SecondDog

Belfast still can't get rid of APD despite a border with a direct competitor,

Oh yeah because Belfast has such a vast population to support lots of new routes to the US. Also if you're going to back statements about support from tourism boards to airlines I suggest you do so carefully, just remember what Ryanair is doing to people who make such accusations. And maybe provided your evidence of such subsidies besides airport ones?

Also SecondDog cutting the Travel Tax is not an induced subsidy, if you think it is take it up with the Dutch Government also who did the same as the Irish Gov. They simply responded to the fact tourism suffered because of the tax.

BFS BHD
18th Sep 2013, 21:21
Lanzarote restarts for Jet2.com in the morning. Meaning 3 departures in the morning to Lanzarote.

TCX8056 Lanzarote 07:05
TOM1472 Lanzarote 07:15
LS 0309 Lanzarote 09:00

SecondDog
18th Sep 2013, 21:56
They reduced the APD tax, what's the big deal, instead of increasing it for all carriers they decided to cap it at 3 euro to help airlines and to get some sort of revenue and not to affect growth. Tourism is important to our economy and yes it receives funding to promote Ireland (mind you NI also pay a fixed amount every year for them to be included in the marketing.) It supports thousands of jobs. Airlines don't receive a penny of the money, it is purely used to promote Ireland in x or y city. There is no big deal, for starters to you and Jack1985, if you re-read my posts, is there anything to suggest my posts are anti-DUB, as opposed to trying to provide an analysis of where BFS are at in terms of their ability to expand/improve their routemap.

I am well aware of how 'Airlines don't recieve a penny' of Govt money etc but think to yourselves, if the Tourism bodies pays for the advertising of a destination city for a new carrier, it is an incentive because the Airline doesn't have to spend as much on promotional work. Of course the Airline doesn't effectively get the money but really are any of you telling me you think it doesn't play a part in how an Airline decides to expand or deploy aircraft?

Dublin didn't tell London to introduce APD and Dublin, its your authorities and the people who were elected in the North that are in charge of APD there. Anyway its only a couple of euro in the difference, that would not deter a carrier from coming to BFS if the market was there. If 7 euro or so sways a airline to come to DUB you are mistaking.

Scotland have set up there own fund for carriers to fly there, what's stopping people in Belfast from doing the same. NOTHING!

People in the North were not complaining when it was 10 euro from DUB and NOTHING from the North, airlines were not very eager to come then either.
Again, my issue is not with Dublin, I don't know what way you are reading my posts but seriously, my point is that we need to get rid of the APD completely from N.Ireland because it gives us very little chance of competing on any routes with Dublin. Don't forget, the concession from BFS only applies to long haul routes. Also you are incorrect, the power to set/abolish APD rates still lies with Westminster, not Stormont. You also mention the rate is capped at 3 Euro in Dub but I believe that it is nil if there is a willingness to provide expansion

There obviously is something stopping Stormont from doing it, otherwise they would have done it already. Politics being what they are here it could be any number of things. Someone above has indicated that the Scottish fund was a non-starter too...

As for that last bit about when Dub was 10 and BFS Nothing, i mean do we really have to categorize people on here into Northerners and Southerners, that is just nonsense from a bygone era, we live in an economic world folks. AGAIN, my post is just my own assessment and I don't begrudge Dublin its successes

There is a big difference in Gov's paying airlines to operate a route for x period of time and a tourism body marketing a place in certain cities.Of course there is but every little helps as they say. AGAIN my point is that Dublin have been forging ahead and BFS are unlikely to be able to get a foothold in any of the markets because there has been no Aviation strategy from National/Local Govt and what seems like regressive ownership under Abertis.

SecondDog
18th Sep 2013, 22:26
Oh yeah because Belfast has such a vast population to support lots of new routes to the US. Also if you're going to back statements about support from tourism boards to airlines I suggest you do so carefully, just remember what Ryanair is doing to people who make such accusations. And maybe provided your evidence of such subsidies besides airport ones?

Also SecondDog cutting the Travel Tax is not an induced subsidy, if you think it is take it up with the Dutch Government also who did the same as the Irish Gov. They simply responded to the fact tourism suffered because of the tax.

Look, Of course BFS doesn't have a huge market for lots of Transatlantic routes but if you try to encourage people from the Ulster region (which is a perfectly acceptable target market) there should be enough people to sustain a year round YYZ a second year round US destination and a full summer season of SFB/MCO flights (it wasn't so long ago that circa 0600 on a Saturday morning saw 3 transatlantic flights fill the arrivals hall week in week out) so the people should be there if someone would only bite the bullet and invest some money.

Regarding whatever threat you think you are making to me regarding my views on money going from tourist boards to airlines, read my reply to EI330 below, Of course the airline doesn't get the money from the tourist board but it all amounts to the same thing if someone pays to advertise around a service that you are providing (you say tom-ay-toe, I say Tom-ah-toe) I'm not afraid of voicing my opinion. There is nothing in there that can be taken as libelous that I can see so chill your beans.

Cutting Travel tax IS an incentive, of course it is (erm yes sir well we'll charge you 3 Euro per head while up the road will be 15 Euro per head - where would you like to come) What part of my post made you think that I was implying there was anything wrong with providing such a subsidy? Well done the Dutch too. My whole point on this 'Belfast Airport' thread was an assessment of how 'Belfast Airport' finds itself lagging behind its main competitor. AGAIN, i ask, what part of my posts lead you folk to categorize me as a Dublin hating Northerner???

Jack1985
18th Sep 2013, 22:35
Dublin hating Northerner???

Nothing, never implied it - However you making assumptions which are absoloute bulls*hit. Did the UK Gov not reduce APD for UA at BFS? is this not a subsidy then also? And if you think airlines are swayed by Tourism boards there not - But they expect them to advertise, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Don't Discover Northern Ireland do the same in the US?

ook, Of course BFS doesn't have a huge market for lots of Transatlantic routes but if you try to encourage people from the Ulster region (which is a perfectly acceptable target market) there should be enough people to sustain a year round YYZ a second year round US destination and a full summer season of SFB/MCO flights

Maybe its because BFS management live in the real world. None of those routes will come around, possibly YYZ but seasonal. Summer Holiday makers dictate Orlando flights and Travel operators respond to demand. With regards a second US destination, I doubt it. You seem to have your own defined demand in NI? Airlines are around to make money and if demand existed as you say they'd be flying here. I mean when BFS had flights to the States the airline was a Lo-Co and was loss-making.

Cutting Travel tax IS an incentive

It is responding to a fall in tourism. But you're implying they planned to hit the NI market? Bull.

EI-BUD
18th Sep 2013, 23:21
I mean when BFS had flights to the States the airline was a Lo-Co and was
loss-making.

Jack, do you mean flight to Canada with Zoom? Sadly, since Zoom folded no airline will fill the void left by them. Nobody really knows that the particular stats for this individual route/routes. Ulster has huge linkage with Canada and Toronto has been on the map for decades at times by Air Canada, mainly charter flights by many airlines. On a suitable frequency with appropriate marketing this route could be sustainable.

Of course Aer Lingus if you refer to them as LOCO at that time of operating BFS SNN JFK, that was doomed from the word go due to Aer Lingus's need to touch down at SNN enroute, them being an Irish airline and all.

As far as I am concerned, the reduction in APD is a token gesture, sends a good message out. Passengers checking prices talk more about the APD than they do on the actual air fare, and given the very limited capacity, if seats book up the prices go up, so few passengers actually seeing a net saving, that would be my interpretation. Dublin having so much more capacity will tend to have more low priced seats as with up to 16 daily departures, often will be far more availability. In my view reduced APD is publicity message. If BFS could get additional flights on US routes by way of lower APD, then it could be heralded a success....

Don't Discover Northern Ireland do the same in the US?

Do Discover NI actually market NI the States, my understanding was that NI assembly pay Tourism Ireland £4M per year to jointly market NI and ROI? Given that so many passengers come to the Island and to NI by way of Dublin, the sheer amount of tourists in ROI registered cars tells that tale there! hence the rationale....

EI-BUD

EI-A330-300
19th Sep 2013, 01:12
As for that last bit about when Dub was 10 and BFS Nothing, i mean do we really have to categorize people on here into Northerners and Southerners, that is just nonsense from a bygone era, we live in an economic world folks. AGAIN, my post is just my own assessment and I don't begrudge Dublin its successes

I didn't intend to categorize people but in the political landscape its exactly what we are.

There obviously is something stopping Stormont from doing it, otherwise they would have done it already. Politics being what they are here it could be any number of things. Someone above has indicated that the Scottish fund was a non-starter too...

I expect its more a case they don't know a way to make up the lost revenue from the tax as if it was scrapped they would have to make savings to that exact amount.

SecondDog
19th Sep 2013, 12:10
Nothing, never implied it - However you making assumptions which are absoloute bulls*hit. Did the UK Gov not reduce APD for UA at BFS? is this not a subsidy then also? And if you think airlines are swayed by Tourism boards there not - But they expect them to advertise, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Don't Discover Northern Ireland do the same in the US?

I'm beginning to think you either don't read to the end of the sentences or just don't understand them, Yes, they reduced it for the Long Haul flights to £12 per head (it is still full whack on other destinations btw) Yes this is a subsidy, that is my point, I WANT them to subsidise flights in this manner to help generate expansion and growth. It is different on the UK mainland, where all the airlines have to pay it regardless - but in Northern Ireland, we have a land border with a competitor who doesn't charge it, so it should be scrapped here in the interests of competition, what part of this have you failed to grasp?

Then you tell me the airlines are not swayed by the tourism boards' advertising but that they 'expect' them to advertise. So in other words, it is factored into their cost/benefit analyses in their business development strategy and the numbers will be worked out with said bodies long before a route will be announced. You accuse me of Bull and Bullsh*t twice in your reply but then you basically say the same thing as me when you try to argue against my points.

Maybe its because BFS management live in the real world. None of those routes will come around, possibly YYZ but seasonal. Summer Holiday makers dictate Orlando flights and Travel operators respond to demand. With regards a second US destination, I doubt it. You seem to have your own defined demand in NI? Airlines are around to make money and if demand existed as you say they'd be flying here. I mean when BFS had flights to the States the airline was a Lo-Co and was loss-making.

Are you seriously saying that BFS Management shouldn't be looking to add those routes? YYZ was a long standing route for Belfast and can easily be so again, Orlando is always full for the short schedule these past couple of years, so they should extend the schedule (if it has to be gradual, so be it) Second destination US is perhaps the least likely option. As for a Defined Demand in N.I. Noone who runs a business can afford to limit their potential marketplace like that. You say airlines are around to make money - well I say that they are just using the economic downturn to try to eek out as much third party support as possible to make as much money as possible (Again, not a criticism, to me this is just good business). Call me a cynic (it is a much nicer word than Bullsh*t btw) if you wish but somehow I think my finger is nearer the pulse than yours

It is responding to a fall in tourism. But you're implying they planned to hit the NI market? Bull.

You are saying they didn't? What planet do you live on if you think that wasn't a factor in the decision? As I said above, noone limits their marketplace and you'd be amazingly out of touch if you thought that Dublin doesn't look at the Northern Irelanders with their Sterling and a shiny connecting Motorway as a target market. Considering they have recently been publishing their increased passenger traffic from the North (it was linked on the Dub thread somewhere recently), I imagine they've considered it :ugh:

Dee747
20th Sep 2013, 12:37
Getting bored now with all these "I said, you said" posts. :sad:

Skipness One Echo
20th Sep 2013, 13:50
YYZ was a long standing route for Belfast and can easily be so again,
And for Exeter, Cardiff, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham and Edinburgh, all gone and closed. The market has changed beyond recognition since the simpler days of Wardair, Worldways and Air Transat. The house of mouse might work on long haul but not sure Canada will come back to non hub airports like BFS. Air Canada Rouge is not so much a visiting family market but an inbound tourism market which is why they're having a crack at EDI and DUB.

El Bunto
20th Sep 2013, 15:28
Blue Panorama ( of Italy ) B763 EI-FCV in to Aldergrove today on a charter out of Brize Norton. Trooping, one assumes.

Quite a mix of airlines running MoD trooping these days; recently we have also had Corsair, Atlas and World stopping by.

BFS BHD
20th Sep 2013, 18:45
Another drop in PAX= -5.2%

PASSENGERS ROLLING YEAR= 4077477

But Newark is on the up:

2012 2013
9355 9849 +5%

GAZMO
20th Sep 2013, 20:24
BHX and MAN also doing well
Glad to see Newark doing so well

OltonPete
20th Sep 2013, 21:00
GAZMO

I make BFS-BHX 138 per flight or 88% load factor (15697 pax 114 flights).

I know it was August and most flights are full but the route is less than a year old and BHX is probably not easy's favourite airport.

Also flybe seem to be scaling back BHD-BHX with the 6 x 195 and 1 x Q400 this summer changing to at best 5 x Q400 and 2 x 175's this winter and at worse 4 x Q400 and 1 x 175 in January at times.

SOE

Re BHX-YYZ very much a live and kicking or at least squirming. Still weekly and packed for 6 months. Okay not quite the days of Wardair but better than nothing. I am not sure of the customer base now but both cities do have reasonable Sikh populations and although the market in general has always been price sensitive hopefully it will continue.

Although the 310's won't last for ever and BHX was only give the A330 for five flights this year.

Pete

GAZMO
21st Sep 2013, 16:45
Oltonpete

i think EZY would be very happy with an 88% LF on a domestic route to BHX

BFS BHD
23rd Sep 2013, 15:45
A former Belfast man who heads up the Pacific Asia Travel Association says there's scope to develop a direct air link between Northern Ireland and China to cash in on the Chinese fascination with all things Titanic. martin Craigs has facilitated the visit of Titanic Quarter representatives to attend two of China's largest tourism industry events as part of a global marketing initiative.

And he believes Northern Ireland has "an impressive tourism" offering for high-spending Asian travellers - providing there are adequate linkages.

"Long-term, the key to helping Northern Ireland access this immense market is to promote a direct air link between Belfast and China," he said yesterday.

"Given the enormous appeal of Titanic to Chinese audiences and the growing lack of capacity in London's airports, the concept of a direct link could become a reality.

"That's something I personally want to see and it's an issue which I've already broached with carriers."

It is understood management at Belfast International Airport have made tentative enquiries about the possibility of a route to Asia.

More Info: Calls For China Air Link To Cash In On Titanic Interest | Business | The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/calls-for-china-air-link-to-cash-in-on-titanic-interest-1288548)

eastern wiseguy
23rd Sep 2013, 21:56
That was exactly the rumour I heard last year.

SealinkBF
23rd Sep 2013, 22:16
Not realistic is it - if there was a massive untapped market in Chinese tourists we would have seen lots already, no?

GAZMO
24th Sep 2013, 18:41
Notice an EI 167 departure for Dublin tonight, has this been a diverted aircraft?

BFS BHD
24th Sep 2013, 18:44
Yes diverted from DUB due to fog :)

GAZMO
27th Sep 2013, 23:13
Just noticed LS are serving Lanzarote all year round.

Apologise if this has been previously posted

They still have a few slots vacant in the afternoon for summer 14, maybe some more to be announced

BFS BHD
27th Sep 2013, 23:53
Now thats interesting!

Normally Mon-Fri 2nd aircraft is blocked in the afternoon for the cargo run to EMA.

Lanzarote and Murcia both are in the afternoon on Wednesday.

Lanzarote arriving back at 23:30 and Murcia arrives back at 21:55.

The cargo run normally starts at 19:00 until early hours of the next morning!

Will we see a 3rd aircraft based and more routes?

We will just have to wait and see!!! :)

GAZMO
28th Sep 2013, 08:06
It looks likes Wednesday is a busy day for LS

Maybe cargo run with be done by EMA plane or some new routes?

jonnyc
30th Sep 2013, 10:59
I'm curious as to the reasoning behind a recent NOTAM. Between 2300 and 0400 the following applies:

TWR AND APPROACH SERVICES WILL BE PROVIDED AS A COMBINED FUNCTION
ON FREQUENCY 128.5 WHEN NOTIFIED BY ATIS OR ON 120.9 IF 128.5 IS OUT
OF SERVICE.

Is there any reasoning behind this other than to avoid having to switch frequencies during very quiet periods? I haven't heard these frequencies shared between tower and approach in the past. New thing or just temporary?

OhNoCB
30th Sep 2013, 11:50
I'm not sure of the exact reasoning. I would hazard a guess at cutting down on staff at night, but don't know if that's true.

As far as I know it is a permanent thing. They are allowed to do it subject to some restrictions, such as not doing SRA approaches.

This sort of thing is not unusual, either through being retained on the approach frequency who will perform the function of the tower also, or band boxing the frequencies so aircraft will still change from approach/radar to tower but they will still be speaking to the same ATCO.

jonnyc
30th Sep 2013, 16:22
I wondered if it would be to cut down on required staff but thought that a tower and radar controller would still be required. I'm maybe wrong but I thought a tower controller would need to be visual with the airfield in case of any unforeseen obstructions on the runway.

I must have a listen again some night to see if it is the same controller. I think was highlighted it initially was listening one evening and I didn't hear any hand over to tower.

GAZMO
1st Oct 2013, 10:20
Although previously announced deal is completed today

From BIA website

"ADC & HAS AIRPORTS WORLDWIDE Broadens its global presence with the acquisition of Belfast International, Stockholm Skavsta, and US Airport Assets
ADC & HAS AIRPORTS WORLDWIDE is pleased to announce that it has completed the acquisition of airport assets in Northern Ireland, Sweden and the United States from TBI Limited for a purchase price of 297 million euros (approximately 401 million US dollars)"

Will it mean any new routes?

BFS BHD
1st Oct 2013, 12:18
Thomas Cook is having a departure to Kefallinia today from BFS with G-JMAA B753 on its way from Palma atm :ok:

GAZMO
1st Oct 2013, 12:37
Am I correct that this TCX flight to Kefallinia is re positioning??

BFS BHD
1st Oct 2013, 12:43
Sorry your right flight number is TCX219P thats a re positioning number :(

BFS BHD
2nd Oct 2013, 14:11
Air Europa will operate into BFS next summer for Thomas Cook as AEA291/AEA292.

Flight times are as followed:

PMI-BFS - 12:00-14:00
BFS-PMI - 15:00-18:45

Doesn't look like TCX will be using the B753/752 into BFS next summer :(

Also Onur Air to Dalaman and NouvelAir Tunisie to Enfidha is on flythomascook: Cheap Flights | Last Minute Flight Deals (http://www.flythomascook.com/)

GAZMO
2nd Oct 2013, 14:52
........and hopefully the new owners will push for some more new routes?

BFS BHD
2nd Oct 2013, 15:17
Give them a few months now to get things sorted :ok:

BFS101
3rd Oct 2013, 11:53
Belfast International Airport expansion set to take-off? - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/belfast-international-airport-expansion-set-to-takeoff-29626057.html)

It's expected that executives from new owners ADC & HAS Airports Worldwide will visit Northern Ireland in the coming weeks and months to talk to staff about their plans for the facility.

Buyer ADC & HAS was formed in 2008 by Airport Development Corporation of Canada and Houston Airport System and specialises in running airports, which could mean that the regime will focus on growing the facility rather than cost-cutting. With rumours of a new planned route to Canada from Belfast International in the offing, it could be good news for the facility which has lost major carriers like Aer Lingus and British Airways in recent years.

GAZMO
5th Oct 2013, 15:12
Interesting departure this afternoon ABR439J to Dubrovnik

BFS BHD
5th Oct 2013, 15:41
And a arrival from Split from Jet2 (Non-based) aircraft:

LS 6239 Split 13:20

Can't be done with a BFS base aircraft they are both out flying one doing Palma and the other Lanzarote.

GAZMO
6th Oct 2013, 21:59
Just looking at EZY flights to LGW for April 2014 and they now have six flights on a Friday

BFS BHD
6th Oct 2013, 22:13
15th June onwards will be uploaded on website for easyjet next week will finally see what freqs Jersey and Bordeaux will be. :) Good news that LGW is up to 6 on Fridays :ok:

GAZMO
6th Oct 2013, 22:21
Probably three weekly to BOD and twice to JER.
Have heard from a good source that this will be done with a BFS based aircraft?
Does this mean another aircraft? With BE disappearing from LGW surely the London market needs a few more flights

BFS BHD
6th Oct 2013, 22:25
Hope so will have to wait and see :confused:

I see EIN at the min is only doing 3 flights to LGW next summer where this summer it was 4!

Outbound:
EI 020 0645 0810 M T W T F S S 30-Mar-2014 28-Aug-2014
EI 022 1050 1215 M T W T F S S 30-Mar-2014 28-Aug-2014
EI 026 1600 1720 M T W T F - S 01-May-2014 28-Aug-2014

Inbound:
EI 021 0850 1015 M T W T F S S 30-Mar-2014 28-Aug-2014
EI 023 1250 1415 M T W T F S S 30-Mar-2014 28-Aug-2014
EI 027 1800 1925 M T W T F - S 01-May-2014 28-Aug-2014

Found Here: Aer Lingus - Timetables (http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/bookonline/timeTables.do)

BFS BHD
6th Oct 2013, 22:43
OUTBOUND:
EI 020 0645 0810 M T W T F S S 27-Oct-2013 24-Dec-2013
EI 022 1050 1215 M T W T F - S 05-Oct-2013 12-Oct-2013
EI 026 1600 1725 M T W T F S S 27-Oct-2013 15-Nov-2013
EI 028 1700 1820 M T W T F S S 02-Oct-2013 26-Oct-2013

INBOUND:
EI 021 0850 1015 M T W T F S S 27-Oct-2013 24-Dec-2013
EI 023 1315 1440 M T W T F S S 27-Oct-2013 18-Nov-2013
EI 025 1500 1625 M T W T F S S 02-Oct-2013 26-Oct-2013
EI 027 1730 1855 M T W T F - S 02-Oct-2013 26-Oct-2013

One done by an non-based A319 :ok:

Look at Aer Lingus - Timetables (http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/bookonline/timeTables.do) and you'll see! :)

BCALBOY
6th Oct 2013, 22:57
Aer Lingus published 4 Daily BHD/LGW for S13 but given the state of forward load factors (even with heavy discounting ) ,later announced the 4th freq would terminate on 28Apr13'with the LGW slot /aircraft resource used to add an xtra LGW/DUB freq .So the 4 frequencies operated for just abt 1 month this summer.

Even with the reduced frequency ,fares/yields continued very low during the rest of the season and probably affected LHR as well with the offers diverting traffic from there.

For S14 ,I imagine their strategy is to use the reduction of capacity ,resulting from BE withdrawal ,to improve yields, load factors ,revenues on both BHD/LGW and BHD/LHR.

EI-A330-300
6th Oct 2013, 22:58
BFS BHO

The 4th daily BHD-LGW was dropped 4 weeks after it started. Since May its be 3 daily. Next summer nothing has being make official and won't be for a while.

BFS BHD
6th Oct 2013, 23:03
Sorry about that :ugh: :ugh:

BFS BHD
7th Oct 2013, 17:15
Aer Lingus A320 EI-DEG ARN-DUB Just diverted into BFS for squawk 7700 medical emergency. Due to head back to DUB at 18:30 :ok:

KNT544
7th Oct 2013, 17:53
Its still there.

BHD2BFS
7th Oct 2013, 18:03
With jet2 launching routes to boston and Toronto for mainland bases could this be the airline that has been in talks with the airport to launch a route to canada?

GAZMO
7th Oct 2013, 18:06
I would be surprised if LS would be interested in a regular weekly or twice weekly service. AC would be better as there would be a reasonable number of transfer pax to other Canadian destinations?

BFS BHD
7th Oct 2013, 18:53
Now in air to resume flight to DUB :)

GAZMO
9th Oct 2013, 11:06
EZY have now uploaded their schedule to mid Sept 2014 (apart from BOD and JER).......no real changes

BFS BHD
9th Oct 2013, 11:18
All flights will be uploaded by tomorrow easyjet are saying :ok:

BFS BHD
9th Oct 2013, 16:44
Looks like BFS-PMI for LS is down to 6 weekly :( losing the Wednesday flight :(

GAZMO
9th Oct 2013, 17:26
With PMI going out early in the morning will this mean a new destination on Wednesday morning or will they switch one of the afternoon flights to AM to leave plane free for evening mail run?

GAZMO
10th Oct 2013, 07:02
Noticed flight EZE arriving from BHX this afternoon?? Can anyone shed light on this flight?

AIRPORT66
10th Oct 2013, 19:43
Wonder why easyjet still have not put there flights to Jersey and Bordeaux up for sale yet.

GAZMO
10th Oct 2013, 19:56
BOD and JER going on sale from 23rd OCT
Maybe a few extra flights as well since all six BFS aircraft fully utilised for summer

BFS BHD
10th Oct 2013, 19:59
Where did you get 23rd Oct from? :confused:

AIRPORT66
10th Oct 2013, 20:33
Possible second announcement due then maybe.

Straightahead
10th Oct 2013, 21:39
Gazmo
EZE carrying Leicester rugby team for match against Ulster on Friday night.Also Denimair F50 brought Belguim U21 football team in today

j636
11th Oct 2013, 02:07
Possible second announcement due then maybe.

No.

The two new routes are coming at the expense of others, Manchester and Birmingham see cuts, other route time changes to squeeze them in.

GAZMO
11th Oct 2013, 05:19
BFSBHD

Start date for BOD and JER found at Local newspaper website

J636
Normally there is a reduction on some UK routes during July and August (holiday time) checked EZY web and MAN and BHX are up to three daily until end of June
Is this not slightly too late to commence BOD and JER

AIRPORT66
11th Oct 2013, 09:19
People would have used these routes all summer why operate peak season and cut others to accomodate them.

BFS BHD
12th Oct 2013, 19:29
Thanks for that GAZMO! :ok:

GAZMO
13th Oct 2013, 20:55
With LS dropping the Palma Wednesday AM slot does anybody think this might create a new destination

GAZMO
14th Oct 2013, 16:29
Interesting 6am flight tomorrow LS to Lille ?

A one off charter?

BFS BHD
15th Oct 2013, 00:40
Enfidha now loaded as June 1 weekly (Sun) and July 2 weekly (Fri & Sun) for S14. S13 was only 1 weekly!

BFS BHD
15th Oct 2013, 17:57
Concerns have been raised over the potential impact on Northern Ireland's airports of the Republic of Ireland scrapping air travel tax in its latest Budget.

The measure, which would come into force in April next year, was announced on Tuesday.

Savings can already be made for passengers flying out of Irish airports, particularly on long-haul trips to destinations including the USA.

But more people crossing the border to take advantage of the lower costs would have a negative impact on airports in Northern Ireland.

More Info: Republic to scrap air travel tax - UTV Live News (http://www.u.tv/News/Republic-to-scrap-air-travel-tax/d6b41e4f-8c8d-4a48-b509-274996253f54)

stab3.5up
15th Oct 2013, 19:10
Well thats us buggered then. Zero tax from DUB how on earth can carriers compete againest that. As it is you can save hundreds by using DUB. I really fear for the impact of this on the package holiday business from BFS as wellas for longhaul connection pax ex BHD. The boys up on the hill teally need to pull a rabbit out of the hat on this one....

j636
15th Oct 2013, 19:28
There would be some sort of argument here if passengers using Belfast were being asked to pay at least 19 euro per head which is charged at DUB before the 3 euro tax is added on.

The package holiday market from Belfast won't suffer at all as last summer it was cheaper to fly from Belfast on package holidays because there was so much more capacity that out of the South. Two weekly flights to Enfidha next summer a prefect example, DUB can just about support a weekly service for the peak summer. If NI scrap the tax it won't make any difference, new airlines won't flow in. One very big problem for the North is social unrest which makes news around the world every few months and of course Belfast will suffer because of it.

BFS BHD
16th Oct 2013, 13:36
Just checked LS website and Murcia Wednesday afternoon slot as been changed to the morning slot departing at 06:10 :)

GAZMO
16th Oct 2013, 14:12
So it looks like no new routes for BFS next year from LS

Two AM departures Mon - Sun
Two PM departures Fri, Sat & Sun
One PM departure Mon - Thurs
Other PM departure Mon - Thurs is the Cargo run

BFS BHD
16th Oct 2013, 15:04
Two PM flight on Fridays? Whats the other 1? I only see Tenerife for Friday PM. And remember Malaga is a new route for LS at BFS.

BFS BHD
16th Oct 2013, 15:26
The current rate in the Republic is already much lower than the equivalent air passenger duty in Northern Ireland - €3 compared with £13.

According to the DUP's Mr Hamilton, the discrepancy is already unfair.

"We have made it clear to the UK Government that we regard APD as an unfair tax that disproportionately affects regions in the UK - and Northern Ireland in particular, where alternative transport options are more limited and where the option of travelling from Dublin exists," he said.

"PWC, on behalf of the major airlines, provided evidence to the Chancellor in the run up to Budget 2013 of the benefits that the abolition of this duty would bring to the whole of UK, including Northern Ireland, if it were removed."

NI air travel tax position 'unchanged' - UTV Live News (http://www.u.tv/News/NI-air-travel-tax-position-unchanged/1ad8b667-7ad9-40da-a25c-b794bfd6fec9)

GAZMO
16th Oct 2013, 15:57
Apology BFSBHD I think I should have stated cargo run is. Mon to Fri not MOn to Thursday afternoon flight. Quite correct only TFS on a. Friday afternoon

If I am correct
Mon am FAO and PMI. PM REU
Tues am MAH and PMI. PM TFS
Wed am AGP and MJV. PM ACE
Thurs am REUS and PMI. PM IBZ
Fri am FAO and PMI. PM TFS
Sat am FAO and PMI. PM AGP and PSA
Sun am DBV and PMI. PM IBZ and MJV

BFS BHD
16th Oct 2013, 16:38
No problem :ok:

stab3.5up
16th Oct 2013, 17:52
Regardless of tax i should have added what Dublin has is competition both in Airlines and Tour Operators which all help to make flying from Dublin competative. I know of at least one tour package company that maintains that NI pax account for two of there flights eack week to Turkey from DUB. But if cost was not the main factor I would much rather support NI airports and the staff that work there, a point that is never mentioned on here. Support to NI airport staff.

GAZMO
16th Oct 2013, 18:14
I agree, if I have a choice I would support the NI airports and associated jobs.

Sometimes it can be a false economy to fly out of DUB. Friends recently flew DUB via LGW to Mexico as price was better than Belfast, but they had to book hotel accommodation at Dublin airport on way out! additional fuel to drive to DUB plus additional time, including three hour drive to DUB and three hours back.

Agree sometimes it can be cheaper especially if you live in the south of the province and can get a lift to/from DUB.

Hopefully finance minister will have the sense to see that a reduced APD will benefit the NI economy.

Maybe someone can post how much on average an incoming tourist or business person spends per day

Carryduff Flyer
18th Oct 2013, 07:18
I love to support the local Northern Ireland economy and its fantastic workers.
However it has brought it all home to me in the last few years that I realize I now fly most of the time from DUB. For example I have booked flights to Lanzarote for next summer with EI from DUB for family of 4 for ~1300 EUR (~£1100). To fly from BFS with one of the tour operators or LS would have cost >£1600. That's a saving of more than £500! Even the car parking at DUB works out cheaper (50 EUR for two weeks). Since EI moved from BFS the options for flying from NI has been limited and the gap has not yet been filled. :(

GAZMO
20th Oct 2013, 11:24
Notice that cologne Xmas market flight is not on the website any more?

Have they cancelled this one off?

EI-BUD
20th Oct 2013, 11:39
The whole debate about ROI scrapping the travel tax is a bit of a red herring in my view, it's more about perception than actual price comparison. I'm not sure much actually changes in NI with the ROI tax removed. The airlines ex NI limit capacity to a point where they make a good return especially in summer where fares are huge. I refer to non domestic flights of course.

CO didn't increase capacity when the adp was reduced on long haul... Yes maybe they maintained better winter frequency but no other scheduled services started. The fact that DUB has such a wide range of services, passenger who book early are bound to get a half competitive deal.

Finally, as I've said before complaining about passengers going across the border to fly, this is nothing new, and Wont change. The main reason being passengers have next to no routes to Europe ex Belfast, there are literally a dozen over lapping routes, and on these carriers have limited capacity, so in my view the removal of the €3 tax is highly irrelevant...

BFS BHD
20th Oct 2013, 11:52
Notice that cologne Xmas market flight is not on the website any more?

Have they cancelled this one off?

Wouldn't surprise me was only like 1 day and 1 night and cost a lot of money. Likely no one was booking :)

GAZMO
20th Oct 2013, 12:08
If it was a two or three day trip I might have considered it myself

righthandrule
20th Oct 2013, 16:43
The Cologne flights have been cancelled, they were a majority charter by Newmarket holidays with Jet2 filling the remainder 48 seats but Newmarket pulled the plug so they had to be scrapped.

NWSRG
21st Oct 2013, 02:28
I've recently travelled with my wife and daughter to YYZ via DUB and LHR. I would loved to have flown out of BFS or BHD, but the price difference was unreal. Out of BHD with EI and AC, the fare was around £2000....flying EI and AC out of DUB brought this down to less than £1300. Almost £800 less! Pricing BA, the fares were similar....and all down to APD.
At least in NI we have the option to avoid the full effects of APD by driving to DUB. Customers in GB have no real option other than getting the ferry to mainland Europe or Ireland!
So the 3Euro reduction will make little real odds...it's a minor issue in the grand scheme. APD is the real problem...but most UK customers have little practical option, so the UK government has them over a barrel...and again, the NI issue is a sideshow to government. Sad state of affairs but there you have it.

BFS101
21st Oct 2013, 16:13
NWSRG, I have found exactly the same situation. Heading to LA in March, and really wanted flights from Belfast. UA was working out reasonable, but was really wanting VS or BA to gain FF miles. From DUB the BA fare was over £160pp cheaper than from BHD.

With direct long-haul flights having reduced APD from Belfast, this distorts long-haul through tickets via another British airport. Would it not be fairer, as I believe the point of reduced long-haul APD was to save the EWR flight AND help with the leakage of NI folk to DUB travelling long-haul. So all long-haul through-ticketed flights be allowed to avail of the reduced APD.

Surely this is just giving UA a competitive advantage over their competitors that through-ticket via LHR, MAN etc. No really any benefit for the NI economy when NWSRG and myself, still see a substancial financial gain for flying from DUB rather than an NI airport.

BFS BHD
21st Oct 2013, 19:49
Any thoughts on how many times weekly JER and BOD will be for easyjet when they go on sale.

I say

2 Weekly JER

and

3-4 Weekly BOD

GAZMO
21st Oct 2013, 21:05
Will be very interesting. I agree JER twice weekly and BOD three weekly but it looks like no extra planes. Looks likes a little bit of jigging with a reduction on BHX on Tuesday and Saturday and reduction on Tuesday on LPL on Tuesday and Wednesdays to accommodate BOD and JER
Pity an additional plane would be nice

BFS BHD
21st Oct 2013, 21:17
Funny that they are cutting some BHX flights thought it was doing good :confused:

GAZMO
21st Oct 2013, 21:35
Yes I am also very surprised. This Thursday and Friday flights in evening are fully booked from BHX. The reduction seems to start from end of June /early July which I thought would be a little late in starting BOD and JER.

With SEN stopping and BE stopping LGW I thought they would increase STN flights

I suppose we will see on Wednesday when rest of summer schedule is released

BFS BHD
21st Oct 2013, 21:45
Yep hopefully they will release the flight on Wednesday :)

BFS BHD
22nd Oct 2013, 22:08
BOD and JER now online on easyjets website.

BOD= 1 Weekly (Saturday)
JER= 2 Weekly (Saturday & Tuesday)

BFS101
22nd Oct 2013, 22:10
Bordeaux and Jersey now on sale from BFS; weekly flight to Bordeaux, Saturday from 28 June 14. Jersey twice weekly, Tuesday and Saturday also from 28 June 14. Both currently on sale up to the 27 September 14.

BHD2BFS
22nd Oct 2013, 22:24
Are these routes at the cost of frequency on other routes

Also with bhx and man being successful domestic routes could we see lba and ema added?

Can we expect more routes to me announced tomorrow?

GAZMO
23rd Oct 2013, 05:24
BHD2BFS
Yes at a cost of losing some domestic flights for the short period of 10 to 12 weeks

Sat to MAN and BHX lost, LPL down on Tuesdays

Can't see anything more later today, but you never know. Not much to shout about

sealink
26th Oct 2013, 11:21
Taking a look at departures for today, Saturday, its a quiet day. Staff will have plenty of down time.

Flightmech
26th Oct 2013, 11:32
Watch out for the FedEx MD-11 tonight inbound from NBO and out to BZZ

Sharklet7
26th Oct 2013, 11:54
What time is the MD11 due in at?

carlrsymington
26th Oct 2013, 14:38
Heads up Due BFS FDX9744 26/10/13 (http://www.niaviation.co.uk/index.php?topic=11495.msg57215;topicseen#new)

Flightmech
26th Oct 2013, 15:12
With reference to the linked forum 585 is not in the Panda Express livery.

True Blue
27th Oct 2013, 20:38
In what way, if any, has the NI traveller benefited overall from the move by EI from Bfs to Bhd? I see tomorrow morning EI depart at 7.45 and BA at 7.50. How is that a benefit? BA has reduced flights compared to BD, how is that a benefit? I believe that we have a poorer service as a result.

Would be interested to hear other views.

TB

EI-BUD
27th Oct 2013, 21:01
Hi True Blue,

Yes BA have reduced the frequency to 5/6 daily. Hardly surprising given that last Winter loads collectively on BHD LHR were in the region of 50-55%, and no doubt as the final months of EI and BE capacity together on LGW will lead to a lot of low priced seats....

It is surprising that BA has such a late departure, in fact EI has first out and last back, even if first out is only 5 minutes earlier. , Across summer on many occasions I have used the BA 0635 and EI 0730, the loads on EI seemed greater on their later departure time. I would combine an 0730 EI with an earlier that EI late departure back e.g. 1635 or 1755. Noticed others faces doing this.... Hence a slightly later than 0635 departure may be more popular.. However, it's probably down to slot availability.

It is also worth noting that this time last year BA also started off with an 0750 departure changing it later into the season...

BCALBOY
27th Oct 2013, 21:37
LHR cancellations tomorrow are related to the adverse weather in the South of England.

Airlines at LHR have been asked to reduce movements at LHR tomorrow by 20%
Up to 1100hrs , by 10% between 1100-1600 and by 5% after 1600hrs.

EI have canx 0640 and 0740 deps from Dub ,and 0735 from ORk as well as the 0745 from BHD , and the reciprocal return deps. From LHR.

LH have 3 rotations canx , KL 2, SR 1 , VS 4 , and BA 36 incl 1250 LHR/BHD and 1445BHD/LHR , so nothing to do with which Belfast airport .

More specific details on Heathrow thread.

As regards BA frequency ,their base schedule is 6 per day M-F ,4 Sa ,5 Su .
They appear to be doing some tactical cancellations ,with 1 rotation canx on Tue /Wed in the first couple of weeks in Nov. Not sure if this is for commercial or operational reasons , they have been doing subs on shorthaul to the likes of Titan recently.Maybe a BA insider can advise .?

BFS BHD
27th Oct 2013, 21:49
Hi Fly A340 CS-TQZ due into BFS in the next 15 mins for troop flight :)

stab3.5up
27th Oct 2013, 22:41
Find that hard to believe that ba last winter only 50% full yet Willy Walsh has stated numerous times that it is one of IAG's most profitable route and is better than expected. Bums on seats then must be no reflection of profitability then.

BCALBOY
28th Oct 2013, 00:20
I agree that 50%is a very pessimistic guesstimate?I think 70% would be nearer the mark.

As regards comments from Willie Walsh , I know he said recently the route had performed above expectations and that BA were on it for the long term.

However , I have never seen him anywhere describe BHD as one of the most profitable routes ,and I don't think he ever will as that is clearly not the case !

EI-BUD
28th Oct 2013, 07:04
LH have 3 rotations canx , KL 2, SR 1 , VS 4 , and BA 36 incl 1250 LHR/BHD
and 1445BHD/LHR , so nothing to do with which Belfast airport

Bcalboy, I don't think anybody else was asking about the weather, TrueBlue had posed the statement that BA's first daily departure for start of Winter season is not until 0750...

Find that hard to believe that ba last winter only 50% full yet Willy Walsh has
stated numerous times that it is one of IAG's most profitable route and is
better than expected. Bums on seats then must be no reflection of profitability
then.

Willie Walsh said they are very happy with the performance of the BHD LHR route. My comment was that the load factor on BHD LHR (not specifically by either airlines) was 50-55% last Winter. That is based on 7 daily BA (mix of 319 & 320) and 3 daily EI 319s (some services were 320).

You can do a calculation based on those aircraft sizes and CAA stats.

Clearly loads dont mean profitability etc

left rudder
28th Oct 2013, 13:19
Why are you guys at Muckamore International so obsessed about whats happening at Belfast Airport. Suggest you change threads:confused:

GAZMO
28th Oct 2013, 15:14
or maybe start a new thread Sydenham International airport!!!!!!!!

True Blue
28th Oct 2013, 15:18
I think since EI left Bfs on the basis of much improvement for the NI traveller. I am quite entitled to ask the question on the Bfs thread, what benefit has there been for the NI consumer? Especially those from the north and west who now have further to travel if they wish to use Lhr. Of course, if it annoys you that much, you could always ignore my post.

TB

GAZMO
28th Oct 2013, 15:23
True Blue

I agree you have every right to post on the BFS thread. As a consumer I have not used EI since they departed BFS. Why? Well if I am flying to London or other UK destination then EZY provide a good service, this with a shorter distance to/from airport (yes I live up north) and cheaper parking makes it my choice

If I have to use LHR for connection then prefer BA (yes greater frequency although not overly important and BA FFlyer)

bongoo
28th Oct 2013, 17:53
Conveniently ignoring those from the south and east who now have less distance to travel to use LHR. Seriously lads get over it, it's happened, move on or seek counselling..:p

SecondDog
29th Oct 2013, 00:11
Some nice footage from over the years on Newsline tonight (you know, if we want to get back to talking about BFS....)

ILS25
29th Oct 2013, 09:15
Yes, nice footage.

50th anniversary and the only thing the airport spokesman had to say was about improving the roads infrastructure to and from the airport ! :ugh:

Hello :confused:

I sincerely hope the new american owners start cracking the whip.

SecondDog
29th Oct 2013, 23:37
50th anniversary and the only thing the airport spokesman had to say was about improving the roads infrastructure to and from the airport ! :ugh:

Hello http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

I sincerely hope the new american owners start cracking the whip.

I understand your frustration but I think the infrastructure issues are a big part of the problem for long term growth. I imagine he got edited by the beeb, probably just a short part of the interview.

And 'rumor' has it the new owners are no mugs so I hope you are correct on that score.

Mlinnie
30th Oct 2013, 11:58
Airport Hoping To Land New International Routes | Business | The Irish News (http://irishnews.com/1297977)

Dee747
30th Oct 2013, 13:11
Mr Doran also confirmed that the international Airport is engaged in "direct talks" with two long-haul carriers - one in Canada and the other serving an eastern Europe hub which in turn links into Asia, Australia and china.

That'll be Turkish Airlines then .......

GAZMO
30th Oct 2013, 13:29
Would love to see this come true but did I hear something similar this time last year when the big 50 was up and coming

"Germany, Scandinavia and Italy - which we've never previously served - are all possibilities" ........I think EZY did serve Berlin, LS to PSA and EZY and EI to FCO???

Fingers crossed

SecondDog
30th Oct 2013, 14:42
Belfast international Airport, which carried 4.2 million passengers in 2012, directly accounts for more than 4,000 jobs and 250 businesses and contributes in the region of £400 million each year to the north's economy. It operates to around 80 domestic and international destinations, with more than 200 flights a day on average.

I really wish they would update those figures 80/200. I'm sure they are from the 2007 stats just before the bubble burst

stab3.5up
30th Oct 2013, 17:16
So who are these airlines then guys.....very long winded explanation of one and one canadian?

El Bunto
31st Oct 2013, 07:48
A pair of Ukrainian Air Alliance An-12s arrived separately from different directions c. 21:00 last night and departed in tandem c. 03:00 this morning.

Any clues?

Thinks: Perhaps the Aldergrove PR staff can add them to the tally of services

BFS BHD
1st Nov 2013, 14:40
Lanzarote= 2 Weekly (Thu & Sun)
Tenerife = 3 Weekly (Tue, Fri & Sat, No Monday Departure)

Aircraft free Mon and Wed.

GAZMO
1st Nov 2013, 19:30
Maybe they might look at weekly to LPA?

BFS BHD
1st Nov 2013, 20:17
Hope so maybe a weekly Geneva flight too.

dpconlan2011
2nd Nov 2013, 18:06
A very interesting set of BIAL photos on their facebook page reveals one of a 1990s departures board with various airline codes. I think I have worked out the majority of them (please feel free to check) :

BA, BD, UK (air UK), BY, KL (KLM), SHL (BA shuttle to LHR) but am getting nowhere with these two:

GX to Newcastle
VB to Birmingham

Can anyone help?;)

Skipness One Echo
2nd Nov 2013, 18:21
GX is Gill Air, later 9C, VB was Birmingham Executive, Birmingham European, later Maersk UK operating for BA. btw Shuttle was SHT for ATC on a BA4*** flight number. SHL was Shell Aircraft who had some HS125s at Heathrow. Do you have a link?

dpconlan2011
2nd Nov 2013, 18:37
GX is Gill Air, later 9C, VB was Birmingham Executive, Birmingham European, later Maersk UK operating for BA. btw Shuttle was SHT for ATC on a BA4*** flight number. SHL was Shell Aircraft who had some HS125s at Heathrow. Do you have a link?

Thanks for info! Let me know if this works. The photo is not the best.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=573034249417686&set=pb.149600895094359.-2207520000.1383417322.&type=3&theater

BFS BHD
5th Nov 2013, 15:44
Instead of Onur Air A320s and A321s doing Dalaman for Thomas Cook it will be done by Pegasus Airlines Flight numbers PC6451/PC6452 with their B737-800s on Fridays. :ok: But only for a few weeks atm not the full summer:)

GAZMO
6th Nov 2013, 11:19
If I am correct are all todays flights been undertaken by EZY?

BFS BHD
6th Nov 2013, 13:12
Think it was the same last year all easyjet on Wednesdays plus the cargo aircrafts.

There is one TCX flight that arrives around 21:20 from Larnaca but is the last flight so will be all easyjet next week by the looks of it :(

BFS BHD
7th Nov 2013, 17:34
Any idea what B738 will do Lanzarote tomorrow into BFS for Jet2.com?

Found out it will be: OK-TVM Travel Service

jonnyc
8th Nov 2013, 08:46
Is there a bit of a shortage in ATC at the moment with the combining of functions during the night? I know a few have left recently so maybe it is related.

eastern wiseguy
8th Nov 2013, 11:31
Johnnyc...No. There has been a change in permission over which ATC functions which may be combined. You may hear a tower and approach radar controller being the "same" person. However there are very strict rules in force as to when and how this may be utilised.

SecondDog
8th Nov 2013, 12:08
Johnnyc...No. There has been a change in permission over which ATC functions which may be combined. You may hear a tower and approach radar controller being the "same" person. However there are very strict rules in force as to when and how this may be utilised.

Think it is only in trial mode at the moment, although thats probably just a formality. Reduces the number of ATCOs overnight I imagine, saving a few beans for the airport and NATS. Agree with Eastern though, Seems to be very strict rules as to how it is implemented/operated.

eastern wiseguy
8th Nov 2013, 16:01
Second dog. EVERY ATC procedure will have been simulated or trialled to within an inch of its life before it is allowed to be used.This one is no different.(trust me on this :p)

In this case there will also be a radar controller watching every move and ready to take executive control should the need arise.

jonnyc
9th Nov 2013, 19:14
Hi Eastern, how does this work in practice? I take it the controller must have visual contact on taxying aircraft so I presume the small radar screen in the tower is used?

If there has to be a guy downstairs watching then what is the point if it doesn't free up resources? Can this be counted as 'rest time' if the guy in radar room isn't actually issuing instructions?

eastern wiseguy
10th Nov 2013, 00:10
Johnny

YES

ONLY THERE FOR THE TRIAL PERIOD ( until the system is proved to work or not work)

NO.

jonnyc
10th Nov 2013, 20:07
Thanks for the info Eastern.

GAZMO
14th Nov 2013, 09:49
Can anybody shed light on the additional services to LGW today, LS (apparently now cancelled) and MON?

BFS BHD
15th Nov 2013, 16:49
Some routes on sale for Winter 2014/15:

Tenerife: 2 Weekly (Tue & Fri)

Lanzarote: 1-2 Weekly (Thu & Sun) (Some weeks its 1 Weekly (Sunday) or 2 Weekly on (Sat & Sun) Around Christmas)

GAZMO
15th Nov 2013, 16:53
Would love to see LPA on the jet2 schedule for next year

BFS BHD
15th Nov 2013, 16:59
LPA is on sale from GLA, LBA & MAN for W14/15 now. Still a year to W14/15 so you never no could be added in the months to come :)

BFS BHD
15th Nov 2013, 17:02
Sames like only 3 departures tomorrow morning for easyJet based aircraft here:

EZY254 London Stansted 06:15
EZY6771 Amsterdam 07:00
EZY191 Birmingham 07:10

GAZMO
15th Nov 2013, 18:11
Quiet time of the year I assume, although all six planes out yesterday morning!
Probably the same in mid January

Wonder if EZY will increase service to STN with LGW disappearing from BHD

GAZMO
16th Nov 2013, 11:29
Cannot figure out why two EZY arrivals from LGW tomorrow morning within one hour of each other. Noticed this for the previous few weeks on a. Sunday
I thought Sunday morning was a quiet time for LON flights
Can anyone suggest reasons ?

BFS BHD
18th Nov 2013, 22:37
Full emergency at BFS tonight EZY G-EZAM had a fuel leak and ad-hocs problem.

BBC News - Emergency services called at Belfast International Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24995457)