PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

SecondDog
6th Jun 2012, 12:55
So my arguement would be that the cost of keeping hold of its business is not cheap. Take the speculation re EI and the whole EZY move of LTN route, yes it was dressed up as not a tangible benefit, but my money would be with the idea that BFS had to sweeten the deal for EZY.

Probably true Bud, but I imagine the reductions are not nearly so drastic as one would imagine. It kind of highlights the variations in strategy in general between the BHD/BFS. BHD have gone for some reinvestment (plus they started with a newer terminal) plus they go for 'footfall' through said terminal rather than flight based revenue (All the airlines seem to fly for buttons if the rumors are to be believed - I can't imagine EI even being tempted if they weren't offered the big zero to come down)

BFS on the otherhand seem to try and consolidate what they have and try to ride out the storm as far as airlines go, new airlines just don't seem to be happenning. Terminal investment I think has been unavoidable rather than desired. Even so, If anyone has seen the figures for both airports, I would imagine BHD smiling less in the short term.

It will be interesting to see though when the economy turns, who has positioned themselves best!

tigger2k8
6th Jun 2012, 15:26
LOL are you for real?

First off you didn't 'bail' us out. The UK government offered Ireland a bilateral loan, which it must pay back, and initially the UK government was also looking for interest as well.

Secondly, it's a bit rich for someone from the North to be talking about bailing the South out when yous are effectively bailed out on an annual basis by the British taxpayer who are forced to prop up the basket case of an economy that is Northern Ireland because you're incapable of balancing your books, despite being more subsidised than Africa.

So spare us the "after we bailed them out" crap, you didn't bail anyone out.

First of all, it was meant as a bit of a joke.. perhaps the way i worded it after being up all day didn't help, but i guess its a touchy subject or most dont see it that way, thought we were by those days on this forum.. if i offended then i apologise... was not my intention. Our own government in the mainland is more damaging to our little piece of aviation industry through tax than the DAA is.. but that has been discussed to death

Its hard to know what EI will do, i like to have my flights and car parking booked well in advance to LHR, while my flights are booked through to December, i still have car parking to sort out.. but with so many rumors about EI going or split operations im holding off.. would be strange to completely close a well performing base

Mlinnie
6th Jun 2012, 15:35
Regarding The Aer Lingus winter schedule. I would say that we will hear from Aer Lingus the day that baby go. But I just don't see them moving to BHD.

Also regarding Etihad and a Canadian route at BFS didn't everyone say that we will hear about it as early as July ? Or will the whole plan be dropped now that the DAA Advertisement Camapaign has been launched here ?

tigger2k8
6th Jun 2012, 15:40
Also regarding Etihad and a Canadian route at BFS didn't everyone say that we will hear about it as early as July ? Or will the whole plan be dropped now that the DAA Advertisement Camapaign has been launched here ?

As far as im aware, the rumored long haul routes in the Belfast Telegraph were being dealt with by the government more than the airport itself.. the ideal time would be to announce it before the end of this summer to allow early bookings for next year

Mlinnie
6th Jun 2012, 15:41
The least we could do in Belfast is sustain a scheduled route to Germany !

frequentflyer2
6th Jun 2012, 20:18
when yous are effectively bailed out on an annual basis by the British taxpayer who are forced to prop up the basket case...

Everyone in Northern Ireland is a British taxpayer. The taxes that we pay, whether we are Unionists or Nationalists (or neither as in my case. I'm sick of the whole argument), go straight into the British Treasury, in exactly the same way as the taxes of someone in Wembley or Bournemouth. Services paid for by taxation in Northern Ireland are paid for out of the same pot as services in the rest of the UK. Sorry. I'm not being deliberately argumentative, and I'm not trying to make a political point, but at the moment that's the way it is. As far as I'm concerned I pay my taxes and National Insurance contributions, entitling me to the same services as everyone else paying taxes and National Insurance contributions to the British Government.

dublinaviator
6th Jun 2012, 20:58
First of all, it was meant as a bit of a joke.. perhaps the way i worded it after being up all day didn't help, but i guess its a touchy subject or most dont see it that way, thought we were by those days on this forum.. if i offended then i apologise... was not my intention.

Fair enough, might help using a smiley though so people know you're only messing.

clareview
6th Jun 2012, 21:33
Must we constantly have this tedious, repetitive waffle about the merits of one airport or two in the Belfast area? Its a bit like saying we should only have one port in the Belfast area not 2 - Larne and Belfast or that we should only have one university in the Belfast area not 2. We have what we have, rightly or wrongly and neither is going to go away and let the other get on with it.

sam the horse
6th Jun 2012, 21:47
Very true...just get on with it.

stab3.5up
7th Jun 2012, 04:43
I agree we have two and best just get on with it.

sealink
7th Jun 2012, 12:14
Exactly, i agree, 2 businesses, let them get on with it and also stop all this political babble.

BHD2BFS
8th Jun 2012, 21:49
According to blackpool thread blackpool has been dropped after this year. They also say jet2 has started dalaman for 2013, so if BPL can support a schedule dalaman I'm sure BFS can, maybe that will be on the cards

Jack1985
8th Jun 2012, 22:34
o if BPL can support a schedule dalaman I'm sure BFS can

I'm afraid it simply does not work like that its all down to demand. Airlines go where the people want to go.

EI-BUD
10th Jun 2012, 16:39
An unscheduled Aer Lingus A320 just touched down at BFS, one of the 319's must be tech?? as this A320 was not scheduled, and the BCN flight that was scheduled for 3pm has not yet boarded/departed. There have been a few instances of technical issues with the 319's for EI at BFS since they came into service. It is good comfort that EI have spare 320 sitting on the ground at DUB.

Interestingly, are there any flights leaving BFS for Poland - Poznan for the football? I would have expected Belfast to get at least 1 charter?

EI-BUD

tigger2k8
10th Jun 2012, 17:50
Yes it is EI-EPR that is tech, EI-CVB that was positioned up

Fairdealfrank
10th Jun 2012, 19:14
Quote: "Aaron, to put it bluntly... Yes.

Bail em out n thats how they thank us in return."

It's in the UK's interests, BTW it's a bi-lateral loan and nothing to do with the eurozone bailouts. Ireland is by far the UK's biggest trading partner in the eurozone and indeed there is more trade between the UK and Ireland than between the UK and all the BRIC countries. Our economies are closely linked.

tigger2k8
11th Jun 2012, 00:01
It's in the UK's interests, BTW it's a bi-lateral loan and nothing to do with the eurozone bailouts. Ireland is by far the UK's biggest trading partner in the eurozone and indeed there is more trade between the UK and Ireland than between the UK and all the BRIC countries. Our economies are closely linked.

Clearly you missed the posts after which cleared up that post

BHD2BFS
11th Jun 2012, 16:22
Just wondering if the new jet2 flights to Reus will mean a reduction on a different route or is it a slight expansion.
Also any news on the 2 new ezy routes that was mentioned on here last month?

Mlinnie
11th Jun 2012, 19:07
More than likely Blackpool is going. Hopefully that will mean another new route seeing as how Blackpool is 4 or 5 per week during the peak months.

BHD2BFS
11th Jun 2012, 19:22
could it be EMA? would make sense

BFS BHD
11th Jun 2012, 19:40
Jet2 will not be starting EMA for a while as there is no demand for it. :)

Did anyone else see-
TCX B757
FHY A320-TC-FBR
MON A320-G-MRJK
All where in this afternoon :)

airhumberside
12th Jun 2012, 16:15
Reus takes the place of the Monday Ibiza, which switches from Mon/Fri to Thu/Sun

Reus wouldn't, directly at least, replace Blackpool as the sector lengths are so different. BFS-BLK is effectively utilisation flying. Unless you do a night flight, which Jet 2 generally don't do, you can't fly to Spain 3 times in a day. But you can do Spain twice and a short segment such as BLK

AIRPORT66
12th Jun 2012, 18:33
The flights between Belfast and Blackpool are done by a Blackpool based aircraft not Belfast so how does this effect the belfast schedule next summer.

Another_Dude
12th Jun 2012, 19:10
Belfast Crew operate the Friday One. They go straight out after Palma

EI-BUD
13th Jun 2012, 20:16
I was speaking to a man I know who works in Virgin. He maintains that Branson was in Belfast in the last few weeks talking about a route to Orlando. He seems fairly confident about it and it surprised me that Richard Branson would have that conversation with BFS rather than one of his executives. Perhaps this could be an A330 route, if the conversation came to anything..I dont know the outcome.

BHD2BFS
13th Jun 2012, 20:31
There is definitely a market for it, even for all year round, flyglobespan managed it and at the moment there is alot of people flying to Orlando via Newark or direct from Dublin

Mlinnie
13th Jun 2012, 20:32
Virgin Atlantic in BFS ? I'd say this could be a huge success if Virgin did come ! :ok:

EI-BUD
13th Jun 2012, 20:35
Well I would expect if they did come to BFS low on frequency but even if we got x2 weekly Orlando that would be step in the right direction. I was just checking VirginAtlantic website and checked on Airline partners, and for UK and Europe bmi is stated still as the airline. I wonder how significant if at all will the takeover of bmi by BA be for Virgin. In addition, it would be great to know how many passengers would do connections originating in Belfast Orlando bound, or would most go to via Dublin?

Skipness One Echo
13th Jun 2012, 20:36
It all depends on what the fleet plans are. Currently the two A330s that fly to Orlando are scheduled to head off to be based at LHR once the B747 refits are completed. Whereas Glasgow has grown nicely into a twice weekly operation and may well support a B744, I don't see BFS-MCO on the B744 being more than some school holiday flights like Glasgow began with.

BHD2BFS
13th Jun 2012, 20:43
No but 2x weekly in summer and 1x weekly in winter on a330 would be a good fit

flying officer kite
13th Jun 2012, 20:50
Perhaps they could replicate what Globespan and Thomas Cook used to do, operate a flight a week from Glasgow to Orlando via Belfast, would be a nice way to boost numbers.

JonnyBfs
13th Jun 2012, 20:59
VS would be great! Was doing some Florida holiday-searching, and Thomas Cook have one grim departure in 2013 on July 5th, returning 19th. They may add more though - it's so expensive too, compared with MAN or Gatwick!

Fairdealfrank
13th Jun 2012, 21:18
Quote: "So What's everyone's view ? "

Both Aldergrove (BFS) and Belfast Harbour (BHD) are privately owned, the market will decide.....

BHD2BFS
13th Jun 2012, 21:22
Personally I feel BFS would be the Bette option if we had to choose due to space and no restrictions. But the government would then have to build a better road network and get train services in place

goldeneye
13th Jun 2012, 21:30
Im sure TCX used to operate SFB weekly at one point but it cant have been supported enough, hence the reason its down to such a low number. TOM may look at it when the 787 arrive.

Also if UA struggled with BFS-EWR with all the those onward connection's without the government APD tax break, I cant see VS making money on a direct MCO flight.

tigger2k8
13th Jun 2012, 21:30
As frank has said, both are private, both operate reasonably well..

True Blue
13th Jun 2012, 22:32
Article on BBC about need for 2 airports here

BBC News - Northern Ireland 'does not need two airports' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18432949)

TB

Ernest Lanc's
13th Jun 2012, 22:34
More than likely Blackpool is going. Hopefully that will mean another new route seeing as how Blackpool is 4 or 5 per week during the peak months.

That's not necessarily so. The drop down list at BLK shows Belfast for 2013, but as yet no dates..

Also the a/c used is based at BLK, so even if the BLK route is axed, that would hardly mean a new route in it's place.

Belfast/Jersey is the same..Look on the site, and the schedules have not been loaded..

Leeds Bradford/Belfast..2013 has not been loaded yet, so all the rumours that the Blackpool/Belfast route has been axed, is thus far unfounded.

dublinaviator
14th Jun 2012, 01:50
Article on BBC about need for 2 airports here

BBC News - Northern Ireland 'does not need two airports' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18432949)

TB

Finally! Fair play to BALPA. Hopefully politicians will see sense and come up with a plan to merge the 2 airports.

cuthere
14th Jun 2012, 04:08
Shouldn't

Northern Ireland 'does not need two airports'

Read

Belfast 'does not need two airports'?

No matter which media outlet, the complete lack of recognition that CODA exists is almost hilarious; this despite: MPs have already taken evidence from representatives of both airports, as well as from City of Derry Airport.

As for the likelihood of there ever being a single Belfast airport. Well several things would need to happen.

1) One of BHD/BFS would need to fail financially, or their owner to lose interest/give up.
2) If 1 occurs, then proper infrastructure for the single Belfast airport would be required.
3) The planners would have to approve the infrastructural improvement.
4) Government would have to cough up the money for 3 to occur.
5) A proper aviation strategy would have to be created, which would focus on the proper development of surviving Belfast and CODA.

Now, in my mind 1 is entirely possible. Some on here may argue probable. However, 2, 3, 4 and 5 would take the people we call "Government" years to do, in which time what would happen to the surviving Belfast airport?

Don't wish too hard as you might not like what you get when your wish comes true.

david1994
14th Jun 2012, 08:45
hat's not necessarily so. The drop down list at BLK shows Belfast for 2013, but as yet no dates..

Also the a/c used is based at BLK, so even if the BLK route is axed, that would hardly mean a new route in it's place.

My sources in Jet2 Flightdeck and Cabin Crew confirm BLK has been dropped brom BFS and the Friday flight which was operated by BFS aircraft will be replaced by another route :ok:

BHD2BFS
14th Jun 2012, 09:56
I take it the other route will be Reus or will there be another new one?

BFS101
14th Jun 2012, 10:06
Re Orlando, back in the day, this market direct from Belfast was huge!! Unijet had a dedicated programme using Leisure International 767's season long for years, meanwhile Airtours had a weekly 767, with additional capacity over the twelth period. At least one year Airtours International operated a Air New Zealand 747 from BFS, think the flight originated in Cardiff.

I remember these flights way back when American Trans Air 757's and L1011's were used by Cheiftain Holidays and American Holidays when they chartered dedicated flights.

Like everything I suppose people get used to not having a direct flight and it becomes the norm having to use DUB or via EWR or LGW. The amount of people that book with Virgin Holidays and route with BE via LGW seems unbelievable, more so than seem to use EWR.

With APD now much lower from BFS, you would think this could be basically taken off the overall cost, so how LGW and MAN can be substancially cheaper is beyond me, now we have this cost advantage.

tigger2k8
14th Jun 2012, 10:38
Looks very likely that EI will be transferring operations to BHD.

I wonder who, if anyone will replace. Do EZY have many a/c spare these days?

BHD2BFS
14th Jun 2012, 11:05
If EI leave surely jet2 or ezy will start the 3 canary routes plus someone has already said ezy plan to launch 2 new routes

Ernest Lanc's
14th Jun 2012, 11:16
My sources in Jet2 Flightdeck and Cabin Crew confirm BLK has been dropped brom BFS and the Friday flight which was operated by BFS aircraft will be replaced by another route

You could be right..It seems strange your sources knew and Jet2 Holiday's don't.

Leeds Bradford/Belfast are not loaded either.

Could well be, that is axed also.

BLK lost Ibiza Man when they got jersey, so Belfast and jersey could be gone in exchange for Dalaman and Ibiza back.

Good luck with you new route if your sources are correct - Belfast has been teetering on the brink at BLK for a while.

True Blue
14th Jun 2012, 11:29
I have flights to book to London after Oct 12, wish they would make their mind up. I have used EI a lot, if they go to Bhd, will just have to revert to Ezy.

Was thinking about this move this morning. Am I wrong, or has their been almost a continual drift of operators who came to Bfs, then moved to Bhd, then most of them go off the map?

The only 1 of substance that has survived is Fylbe. When you look at this move from that point of view, Ei are taking a hugh risk moving to Bhd, history of success is not on their side.

TB

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Jun 2012, 14:16
Not much change to Thomson 2013 except Faro on Thurday is dropped and ACE departs at 07.00 and doesn't return until 03.45 on Friday morning. Guessing it may be taking over the ACE-SNN-ACE that DUB aircraft operated but ROI not released yet so can't be certain.

Mlinnie
14th Jun 2012, 15:03
If EI are moving then why is the BFS-LHR winter schedule up ?

cuthere
15th Jun 2012, 07:01
Seems like they are:

BBC News - Aer Lingus to switch from Belfast International to George Belfast Belfast City Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18454784)

jonnyc
15th Jun 2012, 09:37
So is BA and EI both likely to operate LHR flights from BHD? EI are a code-share partner aren't they?

frg7700
15th Jun 2012, 09:40
Soo... On the LHR front, the promised BAW "return" will actually be serviced by the pre-existing code share with EIN?

Wily Willy!

The Sham
15th Jun 2012, 10:24
I think this is a very short sighted decision from EI, don't the realise that BHD is where airlines go to retire!!

Mlinnie
15th Jun 2012, 11:17
I'll give them 12 months before them come crawling back to BFS

frg7700
15th Jun 2012, 11:21
Not if they're the sole carrier ex Belfast to LHR they wont.

Mlinnie
15th Jun 2012, 12:16
What if they aren't ?

frg7700
15th Jun 2012, 12:20
I believe the expectation that that is the case is at least partially behind their pondering a move.

CCR
15th Jun 2012, 17:39
I'll give it 12 months max before Ryanair will not be just using BFS as their alternate.

tigger2k8
15th Jun 2012, 17:50
It has been rumoured.. In the past FR has wanted in but management has said no to their conditions.. Now with EI more than likely jumping ship and with FR having aircraft sitting around (I think?).. They seem a prime candidate to come in, perhaps on an agreement not to compete with EZY, could see some nice new routes if it ever happens

cuthere
15th Jun 2012, 17:58
FR in an agreement not to compete with EZY? Yeah, that sounds just like their business strategy. I'm sure everyone banging on about BE getting dumped on by BHD will say the same about EZY being shat on by BFS if FR turn up......

Husky One
15th Jun 2012, 18:03
RYR would not agree on those terms. BFS will now be under pressure to capitulate the the Ryans. If they do I predict a massive fall out with Easyjet and that will ultimately threaten crew jobs.
You couldnt make this stuff up. A potential sh#tstorm in both Belfast airports with no winners other than a few opportunistic passengers who scoop 99p fares in the middle of the bloodbath.

tigger2k8
15th Jun 2012, 18:06
While it may seem unrealistic, to me, it would be a benefit if such a deal could ever be made in those circumstances, we could see new destinations and they would not be out to destroy each other. Highly unlikely, yes.

EI-BUD
15th Jun 2012, 18:09
It might not be that BFS ask FR to agree to a deal whereby they dont compete on same routes as EZY, but an incentive may be offered to totally new markets not currently served e.g. Madrid, Beauvais, Charleroi,East Midlands.

dpconlan2011
15th Jun 2012, 18:21
Correct me if I'm wrong but won't this cost Aer Lingus in the long term- less adaptable time schedules, cap on passengers and take-offs, and do they have to adapt their aircraft also? I agree it seems rather short sighted!

True Blue
15th Jun 2012, 18:34
When EI arrived a Bfs, would Bfs have provided any financial incentive, apart from a deal on charges? If they did, would that have to be repaid?

TB

mart901
15th Jun 2012, 18:59
Probably BFS would have offered them a sweetener to come in and may have been for a set period of time which will expire and therefore rather than pay full whack they take another offer of a few yrs discounted fees from BHD.

Mlinnie
15th Jun 2012, 19:20
'DUP MP William McCrea, who represents the South Antrim constituency where the International Airport is based, said the move would be a retrograde step.
"I cannot understand why Aer Lingus would find it acceptable to compete with British Airways for passengers from the City Airport leaving a vast geographical area of the province without service to Heathrow," he said.
"I accept the removal of BMI Baby was a real blow to the City Airport but seeking to rob airlines from the International Airport rather than attracting new airlines to the province does not seem sustainable."

mart901
15th Jun 2012, 19:30
In the end though thats business. Its cut throat. For years BFS didn't have a service to LHR and EI's base at BFS whilst important to it is not exactly ground shatteringly big. I am sure they will do their own deals to woo new business. LGW for instance actively and succesfully poached air asia from STN. FR are contantly playing these games. Its survival of the fittest. If BA are going to pull out of BHD at some point EI will want to be ready for the kill, and given pax numbers on LHR are better out of BHD so more lucrative for them.

Facelookbovvered
15th Jun 2012, 19:34
Funny move if true.

True Blue
15th Jun 2012, 20:30
If EI goes, is this an opportunity for Monarch?

TB

stab3.5up
15th Jun 2012, 20:31
It could be that ei regional to open base at bhd not ei mainline.

Aaron9890
16th Jun 2012, 18:13
If it happens i know it would be sad losing them after so many years but surely it is a positive as well, as BFS might now get interest from other airlines. Regarding FR, i can see them wanting to have a pop at BFS but i would be worried with the effects on EZY. I think it would be great for BFS if RYR and EZY could coinside with one another, then we would have a large amount of routes on offer. Can't see it though. If RYR come in EZY would go in my opinion, possibly to BHD :L

CallBell
16th Jun 2012, 23:34
I couldn't agree more with this statement
'DUP MP William McCrea, who represents the South Antrim constituency where the International Airport is based, said the move would be a retrograde step.
"I cannot understand why Aer Lingus would find it acceptable to compete with British Airways for passengers from the City Airport leaving a vast geographical area of the province without service to Heathrow," he said.
"I accept the removal of BMI Baby was a real blow to the City Airport but seeking to rob airlines from the International Airport rather than attracting new airlines to the province does not seem sustainable."

Why does he think EI will compete with BA? Is it not more likely that the two airlines will complement each others schedules and code share ?

Fairdealfrank
16th Jun 2012, 23:40
Quote: "Why does he think EI will compete with BA? Is it not more likely that the two airlines will complement each others schedules and code share ?"

Could it be more evidence that politicians have no understanding whatsoever of the aviation industry yet cannot resist undermining it at every opportunity?

cuthere
18th Jun 2012, 06:31
It's just been on Radio Foyle that EZY are adding capacity to BFS-LON (it wasn't specified which airport), BFS-EDI and BFS-MAN from the start of the winter timetable.

A preemptive increase on the back of EI leaving?

mart901
18th Jun 2012, 08:29
Yes be interesting what metal EI put up against EZY on these routes, there own, EIR's or otherwise.

Powerjet1
18th Jun 2012, 08:36
Easy have announced the increase in flights on their media page on the website.

mart901
18th Jun 2012, 08:42
I don't think they are on booking system yet though.

tigger2k8
18th Jun 2012, 09:28
It's just been on Radio Foyle that EZY are adding capacity to BFS-LON (it wasn't specified which airport), BFS-EDI and BFS-MAN from the start of the winter timetable.

A preemptive increase on the back of EI leaving?

UTV has said on its website ( easyJet announces extra London flights - UTV Live News (http://www.u.tv/News/easyJet-announces-extra-London-flights/8c60afe0-2a2f-49a3-bfec-53d97699b26c) ) that it will be an increase to all LON routes - LGW, LTN, SEN and STN extra capacity on weekday mornings and evenings, but no details of how many

mart901
18th Jun 2012, 09:42
They definately need more flights from STN to accomodate the 10,000 or so per month WW were flying until recently. They had cut down too much when they moved capacity to SEN.

BHD2BFS
18th Jun 2012, 10:56
Also says that Bristol will be served by a larger aircraft, maybe Belfast will get a 320 permanently

mart901
18th Jun 2012, 11:10
It will pay EZY to make a move with such things now if EI really do go into competition with them domestically. Goes to show competition is the life of trade!

BHD2BFS
18th Jun 2012, 11:24
with ezy adding 4-5 more flights a day, if EI do leave the loss may not be very noticable because am i right in thinking that EI only have about 6-7 flights a day? also this cant be very good news for BE, will we see them reduce capacity on EDI and MAN, obv eazy launching MAN has been very successful

AIRPORT66
18th Jun 2012, 11:32
And lets not forget the BHX route.

mart901
18th Jun 2012, 12:51
Yep BE probably have most to loose. EI seem more able to handle price competition when you look at how they handle FR for instance. It will be very interesting to see how the market pans out and will it carry 3 operators on some routes. The bigger city routes like BHX,MAN,LON probably can, I'm not sure about the scottish ones. One thing of course BE does have at its disposal is a flexible fleet including loganair franchise which could be used to maintain frequency whilst reducing capacity.

frg7700
18th Jun 2012, 13:25
It all hinges around LHR IMO.

Will BA stay?

SecondDog
18th Jun 2012, 13:27
It all hinges around LHR IMO.

Will BA stay?

Not likely, EI have probably sussed/been told by BHD that the only BD/BA left over after October will be the EI/BA codeshare. That would justify them going there even if all the other routes fell by the wayside.

frg7700
18th Jun 2012, 13:53
Pretty much my thinking on the matter.

Mlinnie
18th Jun 2012, 14:43
In my opinion I think Easyjet will perform the best on this new competition. But I can't believe Aer Lingus are switching operations to city to serve routes which are already well enough served by BE/EZY what good is gonna come out of this ? Belfast needs to attract new markets, the majority of flights out of both Belfast airports are to the UK and bucket and spade destinations ! Look at Dublin, Cork or even Knock. At least they can sustain a german route even Kerry can ! Look at the places Dublin serve that Belfast don't ! Scandinavia, Germany, U.A.E. and Canada. Basically this is all were you can go from Belfast, UK,USA,Spain,Portugal,France,Poland,Holland that's the only year round destinations available ? Come on catch a grip we want to go to NEW places, not Benidorm for 2 weeks every single year ! Surely there are demand for new services to NEW countries

mart901
18th Jun 2012, 14:56
I don't think any extra competition will harm the consumer or the tourism trade for domestic pax but quite right N.I. needs a broader spread of routes/destinations.

frg7700
18th Jun 2012, 15:05
Needs or wants?

"Needs" to me suggests that there is a demand which is not being serviced.

Aerlingus231
18th Jun 2012, 15:08
If there was enough demand for an airline to make a profit, they'd be there serving those destinations. Fact is there's not, so they're not there.

clareview
18th Jun 2012, 17:42
Airlines do not open routes jsut because a few people are fed up with Benidorm. Airlines open routes where their research suggests there is a profit to be made. That profit requires large numbers of people wanting to fly the route, regularly and,for non holiday destinations preferrably all the year round.

Business is business and its profit that drives business

BFS101
18th Jun 2012, 19:54
Or routes that are profitable, but the airline feels it could get a greater return on an alternative route. Standard phrase from the FR fans. The BHD domestic routes were profitable, but FR felt it could make more money somewhere else. Fact or fiction, who knows??

Was Berlin profitable for EZY?? Perhaps, but maybe they felt the aircraft could be better used doing a rotation down to Malaga?? Prague went from 3 weekly to daily with LS back in the day, then EZY came along. Before long we had no Prague route. Does that mean it was never profitable, or competition and surplus capacity ruined the route for everyone??? Competition, good?? All the time??? Really??

tigger2k8
18th Jun 2012, 21:57
I think the increase of flights by EZY seems like another hint that the move to BHD by EI to perform domestic routes is happening... once WW moved and started competing with EZY on their routes we saw increases in frequencies, this to me, looks like the same scenario, different airline.

I wonder if EZY will keep a 6th aircraft in BFS for winter?

As for PRG, it was once a very popular route, i believe sector length came into it too, as they could squeeze 2-3 shorter flights in with the aircraft.. WW did try BFS-PRG a year or so after EZY stopped the route, but i believe this wasn't very popular

BHD2BFS
18th Jun 2012, 22:10
Will the extra flights in the mornings to London and Glasgow mean they ezy will be basing extra ac

mart901
18th Jun 2012, 22:28
bearing in mind the increases don't come into effect untill the winter timetable would they not be sourced from existing a/c which will have less rotations to perform? what will be interesting to see now will be the reaction to all this from the flybe camp.

Mlinnie
18th Jun 2012, 22:29
Well the is still the whole story with ezy launching two new routes (which I think are more than likely Lanzarote & Tenerife now that Aer Lingus are apparently going) so yeah it could be a possibility that a 6th aircraft is based at BFS, maybe an a320 ? :)

tigger2k8
18th Jun 2012, 22:49
bearing in mind the increases don't come into effect untill the winter timetable would they not be sourced from existing a/c which will have less rotations to perform? what will be interesting to see now will be the reaction to all this from the flybe camp.

Depends on how they perform the routes, at the minute, in the winter schedule, i think the 5 base aircraft are doing all doing domestic flights first thing in the morning, unless they are not as early morning as you would expect, normally gaps in the winter schedule between 0930 and 1200

If EZY do start ACE/TFS i think the A320 will be required, as it can take more fuel as it has an increase MTOW, i may be wrong but i think EZY's high density A319s with full bags and pax could run into issues

BHD2BFS
20th Jun 2012, 21:26
Are the MPs of NI clueless or is it just bad journalism. Today it has been reported that MPs have stood up to ensure BA maintains Belfast to LHR very important link ( ok so far) and that our BFS-LHR link is crucial to our economy
1st of all can DUP's not fly on a certain green airline
2nd are they aware that BA would be covering the link from BHD and not BFS
It seems as if they will only fly on BRITISH airways that has taken over BRITISH midlands and don't recognize AER lingus
If slots are soo important to BA why don't they say just do 2 rotations a day with a A321 and get EI maintain it's level from BFS

mart901
20th Jun 2012, 22:19
In fairness there has been times MP's did fly EI for their westminster trips but its all a bit protectionism to me - like the hue and cry that jobs will be lost at BFS but failing to mention jobs creation at BHD. Rather than trying to keep status quo all the time I think it would be more prudent if they concentrated their efforts on tourism and making NI more attractive to airlines, as has been said like NOC attracting in LH, albeit for a weekly slot it boosts awareness and allow the market to compete and evolve freely.

EGAC is Better
21st Jun 2012, 15:08
Are the MPs of NI clueless or is it just bad journalism. Today it has been reported that MPs have stood up to ensure BA maintains Belfast to LHR very important link ( ok so far) and that our BFS-LHR link is crucial to our economy
1st of all can DUP's not fly on a certain green airline
2nd are they aware that BA would be covering the link from BHD and not BFS

Do you have proof that members of the DUP choose not to fly with EI based on the fact it is a Dublin based company? Think it would be best to leave the green/orange politics out of it.

Based on public fact and not speculation, BA will serve BHD and EI will serve BFS. On the strength of that statement and in the context of what you have quoted, they are supporting the retention of a LHR service from both Belfast airports. What is the issue here?

ILS25
21st Jun 2012, 16:27
I have saw Ian Paisley Junior on several occasions on the EI BFS-LHR flight, last time was only last month so a rubbish statement, and yes keep the politics out of it !!

mart901
21st Jun 2012, 19:11
Ian Paisley senior was one of the biggest supporters of EI when they arrived on the Belfast scene.

Arthur1975
21st Jun 2012, 19:54
Ian Paisley senior was one of the biggest supporters of EI when they arrived on the Belfast scene.

And that is Goooood

Belboy
21st Jun 2012, 19:58
IPS and Donaldson were both involved with AL launching in NI, and I've seen several other MPs and MLAs using the LHR and other AL flights.

BHD2BFS
21st Jun 2012, 20:38
I see someone has put on wiki that all of the stands are being renovated, has this been completed yet? Also does anyone know why the ac park soo far back from the gates, its caused the airport to use all that horrible red and white barriers that you would find down the side of road works

KNT544
21st Jun 2012, 21:24
All the lego has been removed. As for the reason it was to place a road across the head of each stand.

tigger2k8
21st Jun 2012, 21:25
Some stands are being resurfaced. 12 and 13 received a full resurface, some roads also. 16 and 17 are now within air bridge range if they want to, 16A was also created. Red and white go kart track is gone, now grey metal railings

BHD2BFS
21st Jun 2012, 21:39
Well that's good to hear, hopefully makes the place look more tidy but I can't see them puttin in an extra airbridge especially if EI is going,
if the rumours are true and EI is moving to BHD with the LHR route do you recon we might see a France or German route with AF or LH?

onyxcrowle
21st Jun 2012, 22:41
If all this EI stuff is true perhaps the one airline that's bound to jump in would be Ryanair

Aaron9890
22nd Jun 2012, 16:15
If all this EI stuff is true perhaps the one airline that's bound to jump in would be Ryanair

I was thinking this as well but what would the situation be with EZY. I think Ryanair (although many people don't like them) could offer us a wide variety of routes.

BHD2BFS
22nd Jun 2012, 16:37
I'm sure it's possible they could work side by side without any overlap. There's a lot of possible routes they could start... Even domestic there's prestwick and even Bournemouth, easy don't serve any southern airports

mart901
22nd Jun 2012, 16:44
I'm not a fan of FR myself but I totally agree they could run without clashing as they do at STN for instance. FR would be more likely to offer random EU routes and drive pax numbers a lot faster than anyone else.

SecondDog
23rd Jun 2012, 08:37
I'm not a fan of FR myself but I totally agree they could run without clashing as they do at STN for instance. FR would be more likely to offer random EU routes and drive pax numbers a lot faster than anyone else.

Interesting to hear they don't clash at STN, do you really think Aldergrove would have enough clout to bring him in under that sort of arrangement though? I'm not so sure!

mart901
23rd Jun 2012, 08:50
The number of routes they compete on directly at STN is very minimal but no I don't think BFS would have that clout no I think MOL works on his terms only! Another airline I am always suprised never made it to BFS is wizzair.

clareview
23rd Jun 2012, 09:08
Wizz Air has tried Belfast - for a relatively short time maybe 6 years ago but obviously the numbers were not enough to make money so it gave up

irishlad06
23rd Jun 2012, 09:38
D nt know if anyone can help but does anyone know who has chartered the A3 flight to LCA on Friday evenings?

BFS BHD
23rd Jun 2012, 10:23
Aegean Airlines A321 is your airline.

SecondDog
23rd Jun 2012, 10:26
Wizz Air has tried Belfast - for a relatively short time maybe 6 years ago but obviously the numbers were not enough to make money so it gave up

Think the pull out had more to do with the credit crunch than loads, numbers always seemed ok on Wizz but when the money & jobs ran out, the Polish stopped coming, so their market dried up.

KNT544
23rd Jun 2012, 10:59
Wizzair did make it to BFS. They flew to Warsaw and Katovice. They used to fly full aircraft in and comparatively low loads going out.

eastern wiseguy
23rd Jun 2012, 11:09
The failure of WIZZ and to certain extent the EZY Berlin(lots of folks from Eastern Europe used this) was more down to the collapse of the pound against the Euro. The itinerant eastern europeans were not earning as much in the sterling zone as they were in the eurozone.

They moved on...ergo no need for the flights.

It may be old age but I seem to recall EZY flying to Gdansk from BFS and WIZZ flying to Budapest.

This was only a few years ago when we also had Zoom operating Toronto/Halifax/Vancouver and more Florida flights than you could shake a stick at.

I feel that this was the "high water mark"......Thank goodness I am retiring:ok:

BHD2BFS
23rd Jun 2012, 11:41
I really do find it strange that BFS can't get an airline to fly to Canada there I definitely a demand for it. Is it just bad marketing from BFS staff or do airlines just see it as a risk?

EI-BUD
23rd Jun 2012, 12:40
clareview; yes Wizzair were at BFS and the fares even up to day before departure were very good value. They pulled the routes about 2008? I think. Which was a hard year and the winters of 2007/8 and 2008/9 were as bad as the airline scene got locally. What's more there was the huge capacity in the market that came with Ryanair arriving at BHD and AerLingus starting up at BFS also.

Given the Berlin, Gdansk, Prague are all axed from easyJet, it is surprising that some form of flight to Eastern Europe is not offered and the thought crossed my mind last week, would it be wizz that are coming to BHD? Perhaps resurrecting one of the Belfast routes that they did, maybe the one that performed best last time.

To be fair to Brian Ambrose, when they do secure airlines they will create some good publicity and if he adds a few airlines at low frequency he will have something good to shout about (meants in a positive way) that tells the public we certainly are progressing etc.

EI-BUD

frg7700
23rd Jun 2012, 14:16
The direct links to Canada, I believe, became a lot less lucrative as Dublin became more accessible. European integration, the improving security situation & improved infrastructure making the NI market less 'captive' than it once was.

eastern wiseguy
23rd Jun 2012, 14:54
Not to mention 3 euros departure tax from Dublin. There's your built in disadvantage right there.

BFS101
23rd Jun 2012, 14:56
Irishlad06, Olympic Holidays charter the Aegean Airlines flight to Larnaca. Operates on a Friday evening, with a Rhodes flight, again A3 through Olympic operating on a Saturday evening.

Can recall Wizz operating to Warsaw and Katowice from BFS, but not Budapest. Was EI not the only airline to try schedule services to Budapest??

Travelled on the Gdansk flight myself when it operated for a weekend away. Think the flights were something like £40 rtn, and the hotel was very good value. Back in the day before APD.... Weekend was next to nothing, and Gdansk was beautiful.

frg7700
24th Jun 2012, 16:10
Not to mention 3 euros departure tax from Dublin. There's your built in disadvantage right there.

Doesn't help right enough.

david1994
25th Jun 2012, 21:39
Faro dropped for TOM next Summer due to W pattern on the ACE with LDY.

BFS - ACE = 0700-1115
ACE - LDY = 1215-1635
LDY - ACE = 1805-2235
ACE - BFS = 2335-0345

Mlinnie
25th Jun 2012, 22:21
Meh Faro is served well enough already :ok: and maybe if Aer lingus goes Jet2 could increase frequency on Faro ?

BHD2BFS
25th Jun 2012, 22:45
After all last year and 5months of this year of continual growth at BFS it's sad to see EI go causing numbers to drop, I just hope BFS is working hard to get a replacement, I'm pretty sure ezy will take over the canary routes, any more news on ezys other 2 new routes?
A friends at EI said that when EI move to BHD, Stn lgw and obviously lhr will be launched

mart901
25th Jun 2012, 22:56
we would like a stn-bhd route in this part of the world, really miss ww.

Mlinnie
26th Jun 2012, 13:00
I hope the BFS-LHR link stays if it's possible.
But look at BFS whenever BMI baby moved, they managed to get easyjet taking over Manchester & Birmingham and instead of a decline in passenger numbers that year the airport actually saw an increase ! And already Easyjet are increasing the frequency on UK routes now that EI are planning to move !

So I'd say BFS will be fine, Easyjet will more than likely takeover the routes to the canaries, Jet2/Easyjet will increase capacity on the bucket and spade routes & hopefully we will retain the LHR route & get a long haul route to Toronto/Orlando/Abu Dhabi. ;)

tigger2k8
26th Jun 2012, 13:33
For anyone who is interested, EZY's A320 base aircraft has arrived a few days ago, due to stay for the peak summer and to cover the Olympics, would not surprise me if it stays longer with EI's future in BFS in the balance

BHD2BFS
26th Jun 2012, 23:16
Anyone know where the arriving monarch from Manchester tomorrow is heading off to?

david1994
26th Jun 2012, 23:26
Anyone know where the arriving monarch from Manchester tomorrow is heading off to? Orlando Sanford, A330-200, G-SMAN

Also for today (Wednesday) TCX A320 and B757:

A320 - G-KKAZ
TCX798 from Bristol arriving at 1505
TCX7984 to Dalaman departing at 1555

B752 - Should be G-FCLF
TCX157 from London Gatwick arriving at 1900
TCX1572 to Bodrum departing at 1950

Thursday another TCX B752

B752
TCX176 from London Gatwick arriving at 1850
TCX1764 to Dalaman departing at 1940

Friday extra TCX A321 Flight

A321 - Should be G-OMYJ
TCX540 from East Midlands arriving at 2045
TCX5402 to Heraklion departing at 2135

True Blue
27th Jun 2012, 10:13
So the announcement that EI is moving to Bhd, was to have been made about a month ago, still no news. What does that mean? I assume that Bfs are just not sitting back and letting it all happen without some sort of counter offer?

The extra flights by Easy to London still not loaded, as far as I can see. Are they holding back on their times to see what EI do, where they need to hit?

TB

BHD2BFS
27th Jun 2012, 10:34
Announcement should be made tomorrow

tigger2k8
27th Jun 2012, 13:28
They need to announce whatever they are going to do and get their winter schedule up.. if they do have any major changes coming then they are losing out on early bookings..

Its no secret that EI is trying to squeeze the best possible deal from both airports, hence why they confirmed they were in talks, adds pressure to both airports to come out the "winner" for the final decision announcement.. BHD is more desperate to attract passengers, so they would no doubt offer a very marginal profit (if any) offer, were as BFS knows EZY will fill the gaps.. and they have already shown they are expanding their domestic network

True Blue
27th Jun 2012, 13:33
I see on many of the EI flights after the end on the summer timetable, the last flight ex Bfs at 5.30pm has really high prices, well over £100.00. The other 2 are normal prices. Airlines sometimes really up the price when they intend making some change and want to deter bookings. What does this tell us, if anything?

TB

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Jun 2012, 16:15
Faro dropped for TOM next Summer due to W pattern on the ACE with LDY.

BFS - ACE = 0700-1115
ACE - LDY = 1215-1635
LDY - ACE = 1805-2235
ACE - BFS = 2335-0345

IBZ is also dropped but SSH returns again.

GAZMO
27th Jun 2012, 16:39
FAR and IBZ on TOM website for next year
No SSH?

BHD2BFS
27th Jun 2012, 16:46
Sanford back?

BFS101
27th Jun 2012, 18:39
Would appear that Sanford currently has only one departure for 2013, July 5. Also would seem that the Thomas Cook group are dropping the Saturday ALC, replacing it with season long LPA.

Mlinnie
27th Jun 2012, 19:07
SSH is back ? Happy Days ! :ok:

GAZMO
28th Jun 2012, 11:51
Jet2 just announce Tenerife and Lanzarote

PPRuNeUser0176
28th Jun 2012, 11:52
Aer Lingus have changed all 3 daily LHR flights from a A320 to A319 for winter. Has anybody considered that the BFS base is not profitable for EI in winter and they either want to pull all routes except LHR or just operate sun routes in the summer. I'm just saying nobody has considered this.

LBIA
28th Jun 2012, 12:01
Jet2 have just announced 2 new winter 2012/13 routes to Lanzarote & Tenerife from Belfast Int'l. Also Leeds-Bradford flights are now on sale with a 2nd daily flights been restored on Mondays and Fridays.

Lanzarote = 1x weekly on Sun from October 28th, 2nd weekly service for 3 weeks over Christmas & New Years on Thu
Tenerife = 1x weekly on Fri from November 2nd. 2nd weekly service for 3 weeks over Christmas & New Years period on Wed.
Leeds-Bradford = 9 Weekly, 2x daily Mon and Fri, 1x daily Tue, Wed, Thu & Sun

david1994
28th Jun 2012, 12:06
Aer Lingus have changed all 3 daily LHR flights from a A320 to A319 for winter. Has anybody considered that the BFS base is not profitable for EI in winter and they either want to pull all routes except LHR or just operate sun routes in the summer. I'm just saying nobody has considered this.

LHR has already been changed for the rest of the summer to an A319.

PPRuNeUser0176
28th Jun 2012, 12:08
But it was showing an A320 for winter until last week when I last checked.

Good news for BFS with Jet 2

BHD2BFS
28th Jun 2012, 12:10
Great news just need someone to take over the gran canaria route and if EI leave there will be no loss (apart from LHR) but with the increase in ezy flights to London hopefully that will cover pax. Obviously EI are moving and bfs management are working hard to get the gaps filled in :D

tigger2k8
28th Jun 2012, 13:37
During peak season the A320 is being used on sun routes, normally ACE/TFS.. Also LPA i believe.. while the A319s are LHR and the shorter haul sun routes

EI-BUD
28th Jun 2012, 14:42
So Aer Lingus clearly have left the door wide open to Jet2 to come onto the Canaries routes while they make their mind up over which Belfast Airport to choose. This speculation and potential move have given Jet2 the gusto to join what is probably a very reliable earner for Aer Lingus from Belfast, especially Lanzarote, which offers year round demand.

Jet2 did operate Tenerife in a previous winter head to head with Aer Lingus but axed it. I guess that Jet2 will make an appearance on the Malaga route too at some stage.

Irrespective of what Aer Lingus do/dont have planned for Belfast as a whole, in my view they have taken their eye off the ball, being distracted mid season by the potential attractiveness of BHD instead of focusing on what they have built at BFS, in the mean time the competition i.e. Jet2 to Canaries, and easyJet to London line up to add capacity and capitalise on any changes that may occur.

The signs are looking so much like they will move and given Brian Ambrose' confidence in having replacement this season, it is starting to feel like this was a done deal ages ago.

EI-BUD

vectors
28th Jun 2012, 20:14
Hopefully they will use a 75 on the canary routes :cool:

david1994
28th Jun 2012, 20:17
ACE and TFS will be operated by the 737-300 with 3/4 rows blocked off.

vectors
28th Jun 2012, 20:30
Can the 737-300 operate that distance to Tfs?
The majority of flights operated by jet2 to the Canarys from other uk airports use the 757 .

david1994
28th Jun 2012, 20:45
When TFS was served before from BFS the 733 handled it fine

Mlinnie
28th Jun 2012, 21:30
Great news regarding jet2 ! But... Are these canary routes going to be just WINTER seasonal ???
On another note it seems weird that EI BFS-LHR is still up for the winter right ?

Also maybe the two new easyjet routes (if happens) won't be the canaries ? Maybe we will see a new city destination(s) ? Berlin, Rome, Madrid, Milan ?

Hopefully we also get an MCO route with Virgin Atlantic, a Canadian route and Etihad as well :ok:

GAZMO
28th Jun 2012, 21:37
Jet2 to canaries is available to book for winter as flights and holidays on jet2.com holidays
Summer at moment is only on jet2.com holiday website no flights yet

Would be great if ezy operate to Madrid, Lisbon and Berlin with double daily to east midlands
Would probably have enough time to squeeze in late evening flight to BMX on selected days

BHD2BFS
28th Jun 2012, 21:52
Would be great to see Virgin launch MCO especially since they have a lot of 330s would be perfect size. But it seems a little bit too hopeful

david1994
28th Jun 2012, 21:54
Great news regarding jet2 ! But... Are these canary routes going to be just WINTER seasonal ???

TFS is all year round .. ACE is just for winter season.

Mlinnie
28th Jun 2012, 22:22
ACE just winter seasonal ? Well I'd hope if bookings are good they could make it year round ?

GAZMO
28th Jun 2012, 22:49
Hopefully they will introduce summer routes to lap as well

Another_Dude
29th Jun 2012, 03:04
Good to hear about jet2. What about the 737-300 with winglets? I think they have 1 already?

GAZMO
29th Jun 2012, 07:58
If EI pull out big opportunity for Jet2 to increase lanzarote to all year and maybe LPA

SecondDog
29th Jun 2012, 10:10
Can the 737-300 operate that distance to Tfs?
The majority of flights operated by jet2 to the Canarys from other uk airports use the 757

Jet2 are not likely to bring the 757 to BFS, they prefer to use it elsewhere, the 733 seems to do fine from BFS, and there is always the pitstop in Faro if things look dodgy.

EI-BUD
29th Jun 2012, 10:36
Jet2 have operated a schedule on Belfast/Tenerife before and it was by 737-300 and it was able to go the distance without a stop!

BHD2BFS
30th Jun 2012, 17:19
Looks like someone has been having fun on wiki again, apparently manx2, Lufthansa and Norwegian air shuttle is coming

GAZMO
2nd Jul 2012, 14:03
We can always live in hope!!

Now into July and still no word of EI

ILS25
2nd Jul 2012, 14:21
Yes, it is a bit strange, should have been some sort of announcement by now.

I'm guessing there are a still meetings going on regarding the move and the decision has not yet been made, it's not the sort of thing EI would just jump into, it would be a massive risk to take.

At the end of the day they have confirmed only that they have been in talks with the city airport, all the other rumours and hype mean nothing.

Having said that all the evidence points to a move down the road.

Jamie2k9
2nd Jul 2012, 15:26
All will become clear about EI future operations at BFS/BHO, expect news very soon...

IOMspotter
2nd Jul 2012, 17:54
I heard Manxy2 were looking at a triangular BHD PIK IOM:O

BHD2BFS
2nd Jul 2012, 18:00
Is it from a reliable source?

frequentflyer2
2nd Jul 2012, 19:57
All will become clear about EI future operations at BFS/BHD, expect news very soon...

Is there significance in the use of the term "BFS/BHD"? Does this mean you believe they're going to split operations between the two airports?

Jamie2k9
3rd Jul 2012, 00:40
No significance to the way I worded the info.

mart901
3rd Jul 2012, 06:06
When can we expect a press release?

SecondDog
3rd Jul 2012, 07:23
On the Umpteenth of Octember?

sarcon
3rd Jul 2012, 16:04
Just my humble observations about this saga and the nummerous theories on this forum.

Has what seemed like a fine vision for Aer Lingus gone radically pete tong here??

Come on down to BHD and, who knows, you might just have the whole Heathrow route, cos BA won't be bothered with Belfast again, put on a few shiny sun routes now that bmib have 'proven' the BHD market at £19 a pop and, oh, go on then, stick on a few Gatwicks and Manchesters and we'll turn a blind ear to Flybe and the last 30 odd years - all for the greater glory, of course...

O wait, Willy's here to announce that BA are back in a big way to stay and presumably don't want to hand over LHR-BHD to Aer L, the touchpaper is lit under BE, and EZY, jET2 are mopping up services at BFS while EI fiddle.

Soooo....what's left? BFS-LHR, for sure, for the proportion of people who want to use BFS to go to LHR, which has not been insignificant on a fairly basic EI schedule (esp if AL were to mop up connxions for all non BA / OW airlines), the option to fly anywhere they like in Europe of thier choosing and maybe RE to do some Cwl, EMA, BOH, ABN sorts from BFS.

OR they could move the planes to BCA. :rolleyes:

SecondDog
3rd Jul 2012, 16:15
Just my humble observations about this saga and the nummerous theories on this forum.

Has what seemed like a fine vision for Aer Lingus gone radically pete tong here??

Come on down to BHD and, who knows, you might just have the whole Heathrow route, cos BA won't be bothered with Belfast again, put on a few shiny sun routes now that bmib have 'proven' the BHD market at £19 a pop and, oh, go on then, stick on a few Gatwicks and Manchesters and we'll turn a blind ear to Flybe and the last 30 odd years - all for the greater glory, of course...

O wait, Willy's here to announce that BA are back in a big way to stay and presumably don't want to hand over LHR-BHD to Aer L, the touchpaper is lit under BE, and EZY, jET2 are mopping up services at BFS while EI fiddle.

Soooo....what's left? BFS-LHR, for sure, for the proportion of people who want to use BFS to go to LHR, which has not been insignificant on a fairly basic EI schedule (esp if AL were to mop up connxions for all non BA / OW airlines), the option to fly anywhere they like in Europe of thier choosing and maybe RE to do some Cwl, EMA, BOH, ABN sorts from BFS.

OR they could move the planes to BCA. :rolleyes:

Aye sounds about right!

BFS BHD
6th Jul 2012, 15:30
Looks like someone has been playing with wiki again:

United Airlines currently operates a daily service from Belfast to New York Newark, but is planning on launching a service to Los Angeles and Philadelphia in 2013.

It was announced on the airports website that Etihad is planning on starting a flight from Belfast to Abu Dhabi. The airline will use an Airbus A330 and will operate the service 4x weekly.

It is believed that low-cost airline Ryanair is planning to start operations at Belfast International. The airline ceased flying out of Belfast City due to runway length. This announcement occurred the day after Aer Lingus announced that it was planning on switching operations from Belfast International to Belfast City.It is expected that Ryanair will fly to destinations not yet served by airlines at Belfast including Copenhagen, Berlin, Warsaw, Frankfurt, Vienna, Madrid and Stockholm.

Jet2 announced in June 2012 that it is going to base a Boeing 757-200 at the airport for more popular and medium haul destinations.

Belfast International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_International_Airport)

GAZMO
8th Jul 2012, 21:01
Nearly a month since we heard that EI were moving and still no news
Anybody heard anything?

ILS25
8th Jul 2012, 21:44
Possible announcement soon.

Confirmed press conference at Belfast city airport on Tuesday.

mart901
8th Jul 2012, 22:38
confirmed by whom?

EGAC is Better
8th Jul 2012, 22:47
Quote:
United Airlines...........but is planning on launching a service to Los Angeles and Philadelphia in 2013.

This made me laugh. I suppose we could play along and call bs by saying they already have 'a service' to LAX and PHL from BFS........via EWR.

BHD2BFS
8th Jul 2012, 23:00
Those routes would never happen in a million years, but if NI government get control of APD and reduce in further would UA possibly launch a route to Washington? It's another major hub for them

tigger2k8
9th Jul 2012, 08:36
I have also heard the same whisper of an announcement this week, however it could be one of the few airlines they are talking to, time will tell.

larry the man
9th Jul 2012, 09:23
The press conference had been reshuduled for Tuesday but on Friday it was postponed again until week commencing 16th. No reason was given for this decision.

PPRuNeUser0176
9th Jul 2012, 17:54
Jet 2 have extended BFS-ALC into the winter operating every Friday with a few extra flights for Christmas and New Year.

Aaron9890
9th Jul 2012, 17:56
I see that Monarch are doing Funchal again this summer starting 1st September, maybe they will think about starting another route consdiering the sucsess they are having on Portugal. Perhaps a permanent aircraft along with a couple more routes???

Thad Jarvis
9th Jul 2012, 18:02
Monarch have announced they are expanding in LBA so I'd say the chances of anything in BFS are pretty close to zero

GAZMO
9th Jul 2012, 18:51
What is the source for jet2 extending BFS to ALC into the winter. Cannot find it on their website?

JonnyBfs
9th Jul 2012, 19:11
According to the wikipedia page, Monarch operate a seasonal to orlando. More nonsense, or is this genuine?

SecondDog
9th Jul 2012, 19:22
According to the wikipedia page, Monarch operate a seasonal to orlando. More nonsense, or is this genuine?

Genuine, although it only runs for a couple of weeks in the peak season

PPRuNeUser0176
9th Jul 2012, 19:30
What is the source for jet2 extending BFS to ALC into the winter. Cannot find it on their website?

There was an error on the website and it was showing as operating every friday but its not.

GAZMO
9th Jul 2012, 19:42
It's a pity as they seem to be making a success of ALC....maybe

Aaron9890
10th Jul 2012, 21:16
Airport reports spike in getaway demand - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/1/163/airport-reports-spike-in-getaway-demand.html)

Maybe this will persuade some airlines to create a new route, as demand for holidays are increasing!! Not surprised though as the weather has been terrible. Good news though for the growth at BFS, Maybe close to 5million passangers by the end of the year???

BHD2BFS
10th Jul 2012, 23:17
Anyone know why denim air is flying in from vagar tonyt?

tigger2k8
10th Jul 2012, 23:38
Football charter I believe

GAZMO
11th Jul 2012, 08:02
Bringing back the linfield football team

BHD2BFS
11th Jul 2012, 16:11
Just a thought, with the obv lack of flights to the states and Canada from BFS would united never consider using a 767 to up capacity (I asume a 767 with more seats would allow a slight reduction in tkt price) therefore enticing people to fly from the north instead of having to travel all the way to Dublin. I only think this because every time I fly with them the flight seems pretty much full

dublinaviator
11th Jul 2012, 16:26
Just a thought, with the obv lack of flights to the states and Canada from BFS would united never consider using a 767 to up capacity (I asume a 767 with more seats would allow a slight reduction in tkt price) therefore enticing people to fly from the north instead of having to travel all the way to Dublin. I only think this because every time I fly with them the flight seems pretty much full

Not bein bad, but do you not think if United could put a 767 on their BFS-EWR route and make money from it, they'd already be doing it? The market just isn't big enough. I also doubt there's many people travelling to Dublin to fly with United to Newark instead of flying from Belfast, but if there are its because of APD, so putting a bigger aircraft on the BFS route isn't going to entice those people back to Belfast.

If United were to put a 767 on the BFS route, chances are they wouldn't be able to fill it at current fares, and would therefore have to reduce fares in order to reach a sufficient load factor, which would in turn reduce yields, and they'd end up making less money using a 767 with more passengers, than when they were using a 757 with less passengers.

Husky One
11th Jul 2012, 17:11
They don't pay APD on the EWR route. There was an extensive campaign about it last year. It's now as cheap to fly from BFS to the States as it is from Dub.

BHD2BFS
11th Jul 2012, 22:52
15 ac will be on stands tonyt plus the 3/4 ac on the cargo apron. Would be a nice sight to see, anytime I travel the apron looks deserted. Hopefully a sign of better things to come :)
Also see there is 2 flights to lanzarotte by tcx back to back tomorrow morning, that's gonna cause confusion

eastern wiseguy
11th Jul 2012, 23:13
Not to mention the Voyager that was with us for the afternoon. Nice looking aircraft.

Skipness One Echo
12th Jul 2012, 08:54
United don't have enough long haul B763s, they know this and some domestic aircraft are being transferred. High fares on BFS-EWR are a good thing for UA, as they keep the yields up. In DUB, they need to be more competitive against twice daily US, two Delta, the single American and the Aer Lingus based A330 fleet.

irishlad06
12th Jul 2012, 10:22
And that's why you can book fares for $420 in November this year, return, if that's not competitive I don't know what it.

Aaron9890
12th Jul 2012, 17:14
Some ones been on the wikipedia page again :rolleyes::ugh:

Apparently City Jet are starting to Lourdes, Aer Lingus Regional to Dublin Airport, Air Malta to Malta, Onur Air to Dalaman, Helvetic Airways to Zurich and Vueling Airlines to Mallorca and Alicante.

Any of these true???

Also
McCrea calls for government to protect future of Belfast International Airport - Local - Antrim Times (http://www.antrimtimes.co.uk/news/local/mccrea-calls-for-government-to-protect-future-of-belfast-international-airport-1-3996279)

david1994
12th Jul 2012, 17:19
Some ones been on the wikipedia page again

Apparently City Jet are starting to Lourdes, Aer Lingus Regional to Dublin Airport, Air Malta to Malta, Onur Air to Dalaman, Helvetic Airways to Zurich and Vueling Airlines to Mallorca and Alicante.

Any of these true???

:rolleyes:

CityJet - They do operate Lourdes charter flights
Onur Air - They are meant to be returning June-Mid September 2013 for DLM

Aer Lingus / Vueling and Air Malta just basically someone bored

GAZMO
12th Jul 2012, 18:11
Air Mediterraneane normally operate to Lourdes on a regular basis throughout summer season. In fact there were three of their flights to Lourdes this week

What is the source for City Jet starting?

david1994
12th Jul 2012, 18:14
CityJet, Air Mediterranene, Transavia all operate the Lourdes charters, CityJet was in around 3 weeks ago and will return in Aug and Sep

GAZMO
13th Jul 2012, 15:16
Montenegro now on jet2 website, starts may 2013

Great news!!!

Oops sorry it's only Jet2holidays flights still to Dubrovnik

SecondDog
13th Jul 2012, 15:21
Montenegro now on jet2 website, starts may 2013

Great news!!!

Really? Something different for a change. Good work Jet2!

david1994
13th Jul 2012, 15:27
Montenegro is provided for Dubrovnik Airport and has been on sale for Jet2 Holidays since last year, I am booked for a package in August the 5th with jet2 Holidays to Montenegro, not quite sure why they are only announcing this now

BHD2BFS
13th Jul 2012, 16:15
Have to admit that ive noticed when jet2 announce new routes from BFS there is very little publicity, when they announced tenerife and lanzarotte there was nothing on the news but if ezy had did it there would have been a piece about it on newsline

SecondDog
13th Jul 2012, 19:21
Have to admit that ive noticed when jet2 announce new routes from BFS there is very little publicity, when they announced tenerife and lanzarotte there was nothing on the news but if ezy had did it there would have been a piece about it on newsline

You think so?

Not unless they were launching it from the city if you ask me, BBCNi don't much like going up to aldergrove unless it is for a negative story.

GAZMO
13th Jul 2012, 19:27
Have to agree
Over the years BFS news tends to get very little press coverage compared to BHD
Is it bias or does BFS need to get their act together

SecondDog
13th Jul 2012, 19:45
Have to agree
Over the years BFS news tends to get very little press coverage compared to BHD
Is it bias or does BFS need to get their act together

Mixture of both plus the security at BFS is tighter and less friendly than the city so getting any interesting PR work airside is much more complex there.

Also I guess proximity has something to do with it.

BFS101
14th Jul 2012, 20:23
Just read on another forum that EZY are going to launch three longer routes from BFS, alleged to be ACE, TFS and HER. Also that they are planning to pull Malta??? Any substance??? If these routes, or similar, are to be launched, surely an A320 will be based?

AIRPORT66
14th Jul 2012, 20:35
Rumour was one of the new routes was to Sharm El Sheik strange for them to pull Malta it does really well.

waffler
15th Jul 2012, 08:21
I hear rumours of EI looking at flights to Toronto from Dublin and Belfast.

True Blue
15th Jul 2012, 12:09
Waffler

you must have got this wrong, must be Bhd they are looking at doing Toronto from. You see, Bfs is far to far out for anybody to use, Dub is closer and visitors will not come here unless they can fly into Bhd. Remember all those tourists who would come from the continent if they could fly into Bhd, but would not come here as Bfs is too far away. Dub is closer to Belfast City centre than Bfs is. :rolleyes:

TB

mart901
15th Jul 2012, 13:56
Of course also remember BHD is a back water airport suitable only for Wright brothers rejects to land at and should any airline decide to fly from there they must be ridiculed, because naturally flybe will make mincemeat of them.and any airline to have the audacity to move from blessed BFS and they are dispicable.

NWSRG
15th Jul 2012, 14:50
They could always fly a 330 into BHD, then taxi up the M2 for a departure from BFS...:ok:

"Ladies and gentlemen, we will be taxiing to the northern runway for a straight out departure. There may be a short delay at the traffic lights in Templepatrick..."

Seriously though, an EI service to YYZ could work well. I suspect there would be sufficient customer numbers to make it work. Would they chance their arm with a BOS or JFK also?

AIRPORT66
15th Jul 2012, 14:56
Mart901 why you getting on your high horse for someone making an honest opinion if you are that wrapped up in BHD what you doing on the Bfs thread?

tigger2k8
15th Jul 2012, 15:13
I thought this was mentioned before, can EI fly to Canada? I thought there was some sort of issue with this, could be wrong.

GAZMO
15th Jul 2012, 15:57
Is somebody having fun on wiki

Easy to Tenerife and lanzarote?

And has now disappeared!!!!

mart901
15th Jul 2012, 17:37
Airport 66

just some sarcasm i'm my behalf in response to the usual anti BHD drivel/pity party. I'm not fussed either way hence I look on both threads but I get annoyed with silly posts.

SecondDog
15th Jul 2012, 20:10
I thought this was mentioned before, can EI fly to Canada? I thought there was some sort of issue with this, could be wrong.

Really? what would be the issue (and would it be different departing from outside Ireland?)

Never heard of this before, anyone any more info?

clareview
15th Jul 2012, 22:25
Aer Lingus can fly to Canada and has done so in the past but that was from Dublin. The possible issue here is an Irish airline picking up passengers from a foreign country (the UK as Northern Ireland is part of the UK) and taking them to another foreign country (in this scenario Canada). The so called Open Skies arrangement between the EU and the USA allows for this (which is why Air France ran a Heathrow - US service) and of course within Europe is has been common for many years - EI running Manchester-Copenhagen many years ago being but one example but I do not think this applies to Canada

Aaron9890
16th Jul 2012, 01:27
Coalition plans will safeguard crucial Belfast-Heathrow link - Politics, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/coalition-plans-will-safeguard-crucial-belfastheathrow-link-16185367.html)

GAZMO
16th Jul 2012, 06:08
I'm afraid it is the usual political speak. Unless government is going to pay BA, EI to maintain the link, and I cant see that happening BA, EI will only keep LHR if they can make a profit

KTB
16th Jul 2012, 07:06
If EI rebranded as Aer Lingus Northern Ireland would this get round the issue....................?

Cyrano
16th Jul 2012, 08:27
Aer Lingus can fly to Canada and has done so in the past but that was from Dublin. The possible issue here is an Irish airline picking up passengers from a foreign country (the UK as Northern Ireland is part of the UK) and taking them to another foreign country (in this scenario Canada). The so called Open Skies arrangement between the EU and the USA allows for this (which is why Air France ran a Heathrow - US service) and of course within Europe is has been common for many years - EI running Manchester-Copenhagen many years ago being but one example but I do not think this applies to Canada

You're right - Canada was more restrictive than the US in the past. However an Open Skies agreement now applies, I think: according to this EU press release from 2009 (http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/09/1963&format=HTML&language=en),
As from now all EU airlines are now able to operate direct flights to Canada from anywhere in Europe.

BFS101
16th Jul 2012, 19:05
I see Jet2 are upping Dubrovnik to two flights per week for next summer. Sunday flight operates 22 April - 29 September, with a new Wednesday flight operating 27 May - 15 September.

Pity they wouldn't have added Pula or Split rather than additional Dubrovnik, but good news all the same. At least its not additional capacity to an already well served Spanish destination!!!

Pisa also confirmed for summer 2013, operating 20 May - 15 September.

BHD2BFS
16th Jul 2012, 20:09
What about Rome? Would jet2 not be interested in that?

GAZMO
16th Jul 2012, 21:56
All up for next year apart from Blackpool, is it definitely off the schedule

Agree with Rome as good destination. Jet2 must look at business routes as well as the annual bucket and spades

MarkD
17th Jul 2012, 03:07
@waffler don't tease me bro. A codeshare with PD would be a start, creating a much shorter connection into YYZ via BOS rather than ORD.

EI-BUD
17th Jul 2012, 21:29
So Mid July and no winter schedule publish except for LHR ex BFS
Looks increasingly unlikely Winter flight to Europe will happen given this late stage
If a move is planned for operations to BHD perhaps the plan may centre about staring ops at BHD to coincide with the 5th anniversary of the start of NI operations in November 2007 when they started their BFS AMS route?

As time goes by it seems that EI are less committed to Belfast market than ever, the crew on BFS LHR last Friday said that they had no idea (as expected) and that a lot of passengers were asking them!! In addition to the uncertainty for the Belfast operation, the staff also have their own worries about the winter period and what may happen.

When will EI realise that this cannot wait any longer for a host of reasons.

BFS BHD
17th Jul 2012, 21:48
We will hear something really soon ;)

CARNMANORLAD
18th Jul 2012, 12:15
We will hear something really soon

How many times have we heard the above phrase this past month?

Announcement was to be 2 weeks ago, then it was to be last week. Last week it was rescheduled to week commencing 16th July. It is now midweek and of course still nothing!

tigger2k8
18th Jul 2012, 12:32
I have heard whispers that BFS offered the same deal to EI that BHD had.. with a few extras, perhaps this is delaying the decision, either way, as EI-BUD has said, they are leaving it extremely late for winter sun routes..

panpanpanpan
18th Jul 2012, 13:35
I would be amazed if BFS hadn't tried to match and beat the deal offered by BHD! If that is/was the case, why would Aer Lingus move?? :confused:

IrishFlyer2013
18th Jul 2012, 18:59
Jet2.Com have put BFS-Blackpool on sale for Summer 2013. Flights operate from March-November. There will be 2-3 weekly flights.

EI-BUD
18th Jul 2012, 19:09
I would be amazed if BFS hadn't tried to match and beat the deal offered by
BHD! If that is/was the case, why would Aer Lingus move??

I have to say that outside of the LHR link I would have to agree with this comment. BFS wouldnt want to push the relationship with easyJet to the absolute limits by giving EI inducements that are irresistable.

It would seem that BFS can replace the most of EI Non LHR capacity easily enough. The only real attraction of EI at BFS is their LHR route and potential US service in the future.

Easyjet could make or break BFS, a move to BHD would spell ruin for BFS overnight and a triumph for BHD, so I would suggest that Mr Doran is only too aware of this. Yes EZY have stated that they are staying put, but if some of the restrictions are lifted at BHD in the near future that could change, so for now it is paramount of importance that EZY are satisfied. We will see what happens to Flybe relationship with BHD should EI be invited to step on their toes.

Unlikely that BE would move up the road but absolutely no reason why they could not split operations and have non competing routes move to BFS. BHD is a very important piece of BEs network and one they have worked hard on for some time...

What is amazing is the sheer amount of coverage that EI Belfast has gotten on this forum over the summer, the most speculaton etc. What will be interesting will be the next moves of Flybe is the suggested head on competition that EI would provide at BHD for them....

EI-BUD

BFS BHD
18th Jul 2012, 19:18
Jet2 have still not got Leeds Airport on their site have they dropped it or are they still working on it?

IrishFlyer2013
18th Jul 2012, 19:20
Jet2 LEEDS
Jet2 have still not got Leeds Airport on their site have they dropped it or are they still working on it?

Still working on it.

BFS BHD
18th Jul 2012, 19:35
Thanks IrishFlyer2013 :ok:

IrishFlyer2013
18th Jul 2012, 19:38
No Problem. :ok:

GAZMO
19th Jul 2012, 09:58
At long last EI have gone, first nail in the shamrock coffin

My loyalty switched to ezy for London

GAZMO