PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

tigger2k8
19th Jul 2012, 10:40
Now that EI are going that leaves LHR, ACE and TFS up for grabs as good all year performers, also LPA, but has not done as well as the rest, I am sure an orange expansion isn't too far away from being announced. I am not sure how long 10 flights a day to LHR will last from BHD, perhaps BA will consider BFS

From BBC

BBC News - Aer Lingus confirms George Best Belfast City Airport switch (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18899093)

Spokesman John Doran said: "We have asked Aer Lingus why it has performed this U-turn, but so far we haven't heard any explanation that makes sense - save that they have been offered an implausibly low deal on charges by the airport to move there, and that they aspire to charging higher fares and commanding stronger yields as a result of flying from the City Airport."

Mr Doran said the move was "bad news" for local travellers, who he said until now had enjoyed some competitive Aer Lingus fares from Belfast International.

"We're sorry the airline has taken this decision which will have no positive effect on in-bound tourism or the development of a robust local aviation sector that's capable of competing with Dublin which, as well as being Aer Lingus's home base, is our main competitive challenge on the island," he added.

"We are already working to fill the void left by this defection and are confident that in coming months we will have positive news on new GB and international services."

edit - after reading the full statement from BFS and their tweets, it seems like quite a bitter move, defiantly not wishing EI any luck, EI may hope that they don't need to divert to BFS.. looks like BFS will charge them the highest rate:oh: just to add to this, as much as I love flying from BFS, I am a little disappointed at the remarks made on a certain tweeting website

GAZMO
19th Jul 2012, 11:04
A definite mistake. bFS should be ok, ezy or jet2 will cover canaries, only disappointment is the lost of LHR

CaptJ
19th Jul 2012, 12:02
A definite mistake for Aer Lingus.

They have decided to go up against their (old) ally BA with a weak schedule and a weaker product.
It is clear from other rumours that Aer Lingus is toying with the idea of re-joining an alliance and specifically Star Alliance.
This all starts to put into context Willy Walsh's seemingly dismissive remarks abour Aer Lingus being bought by Ryanair.
BA and Aer Lingus are now moving from being code share partners to direct competitors and my money is on BA.
Certainly it would be good if we had some Star Alliance connectivity restored, but on that schedule its just not good enough. It will also suit some people better when BA move the belfast flights to T5.
However, business follows the schedule and BA has a far superior product so it is difficult to see what the overall impact on BA might be.

Down at BHD Flybe are going to be very unhappy and it is unclear as to why BHD management would do anything so stupid as to bring in direct competition against their longest serving incumbent.
It all smacks of desperation by both Aer Lingus and BHD.

And, does everyone know who owns 15% of Flybe? (and is a code share partner)

This is a bad day for travel. It is difficult to see what good can come of this.

Up the road at BFS easyJet must be laughing up their sleeves.

Andrew R
19th Jul 2012, 12:39
*Cues Ryanair to come to BFS*

EI-BUD
19th Jul 2012, 12:46
I would expect to see Faro and Malaga frequencies stepped up significantly next summer by easyJet and to a lesser extent Jet2.

While I have enjoyed flying Aer Lingus for business and pleasure ex Belfast International, they need to realise what they are competiting with especially on Gatwick. Flybe does codeshare with BA, interlines with other airlines including Virgin, Emirates etc. Southampton complements Gatwick route with the opportunity to fly into one and out of the other for a return trip and this may suit some as the airports are not awfully far apart.

Sadly, when I need to get to LHR side of town it will be Luton with easyJet (I think easyJet could step LTN up in light of AerLingus withdrawl), or to BHD for BA or EI.

EI-BUD

Calmcavok
19th Jul 2012, 12:58
this may suit some as the airports are not awfully far apart.

Not far apart?! They're bloody miles apart by surface transport, you've got to drive almost to LHR on the M3 before heading round to LGW on the M25.

eastern wiseguy
19th Jul 2012, 13:02
How much is it costing BHD to attract them?

Will Flybe react?

Can EIN make a go of it there when every other company who moved (Manx2 not withstanding) has imploded?

Will the Spanish owners be more aggressive in their marketing strategy?

BFS101
19th Jul 2012, 13:19
Interesting but not unexpected article.

Belfast International Airport Statement - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/2/164/belfast-international-airport-statement.html)

Andrew R
19th Jul 2012, 13:22
LHR is always my preferred London airport with LGW a close second.

BFS is going to loose some serious business passengers though. That business lounge at Lough Neagh will probably be mothballed now :( Bad times.

Jack1985
19th Jul 2012, 13:33
hey have been offered an implausibly low deal on charges by the airport to move there, and that they aspire to charging higher fares and commanding stronger yields as a result of flying from the City Airport.

What total utter bull! What an ill-advised statement from management at Belfast International. Can now finally see why easyJet had a fallout with Abertis and management at BFS like that :mad:.

SecondDog
19th Jul 2012, 14:25
What total utter bull! What an ill-advised statement from management at Belfast International. Can now finally see why easyJet had a fallout with Abertis and management at BFS like that http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif.

What is Bull about it? I think it makes a nice change from wishing them all the best as they take 5/6 hundred thousand passengers away from your airport for exactly the reasons mentioned.

I think if the City move were to fail, EI wouldn't get much sympathy from anyone. It is purely based on greed from EI and a poor approach to building for the future by BHD management.

All these types of move tend to accomplish is a couple of years worth of robbing Peter to pay Paul and at the end of it all Northern Ireland still fails to expand its aviation industry.

The management at BFS might not be pleasant for the airlines to deal with but at least they are not bending over to be spanked by them and get virtually nothing in return. How long can aviation here continue without trying to at least establish a long term strategy.

CaptJ
19th Jul 2012, 14:27
Explain please.
How is this complete and utter bull?

Looks pretty plausible to me. Why would they move otherwise?

What is the truth?
"We have decided to move to Belfast City Airport for the benefit of the NI travelling public. This move will cost us money but we are happy to do it"?

And what is BA going to think about a direct competitor being offered a better deal, never mind BE.

redED
19th Jul 2012, 14:33
Down at BHD Flybe are going to be very unhappy and it is unclear as to why BHD management would do anything so stupid as to bring in direct competition against their longest serving incumbent.

Ryanair
BmiBaby
AerLingus

BHD don't give two hoots about flybe they always do screw them over.

As for flybe splitting operations or heading up the road altogether dream on!

mart901
19th Jul 2012, 14:35
I would imagine the majority of new routes in european airports are based on discounted deals on charges, and if BE are unhappy about it so what? What are they going to do? Pull out and let a competitor in? They have had long enough to launch European routes and chosen not to, they cannot expect to have everything to themselves.

stab3.5up
19th Jul 2012, 14:36
What exactly are ei offering ex bhd route wise?

Jack1985
19th Jul 2012, 14:37
Explain please.
How is this complete and utter bull?

BFS Quote from Statement - they aspire to charging higher fares and commanding stronger yields as a result of flying from the City Airport

Most probably higher yield yes (Business Pax) but I 100% disagree with the statement of higher fares. Aer Lingus most probably will be fighting Flybe hard with fares to stimulate demand for Gatwick, Heathrow has remained unchanged to the BFS fares so how exactly are Aer Lingus charging higher fares? A look at the summer flights to FAO, AGP shows they are also unchanged and cheaper then this summer again how are they charging higher fares? Fair enough they have considerably lower charges to contend with and will make money relatively more easily ex BHD but have BFS suddenly forgotten that most probably in the next 10 years EI will be back knocking at their door about T/A services? This is why I believe it is Ill-advised for a Management team to make a statement like that.

mart901
19th Jul 2012, 14:45
Well its not exactly earth shattering news and they will have to justify it to some degree for the press but it does look like there is more to come route wise.

Aaron9890
19th Jul 2012, 15:24
*Cues Ryanair to come to BFS*

I want to see them have a go at BFS, i think they could offer a wide variety of routes. The only problems are ;

1. EZY will probably not like it
2: FR will want rock bottom prices from BFS to fly from it.

If it did happen there would be some good competition between the two..

SecondDog
19th Jul 2012, 15:28
Fair enough they have considerably lower charges to contend with and will make money relatively more easily ex BHD but have BFS suddenly forgotten that most probably in the next 10 years EI will be back knocking at their door about T/A services? This is why I believe it is Ill-advised for a Management team to make a statement like that.

It's not all about an Airport operator having to be nice to an airline. Eventually someone has to realise that for any long haul service out of Northern Ireland, BFS is the only plausible option. Consequently, strong words now at least lets the airline know that they can't just do what they want, when they want, without some kind of resistance. If this doomed-to-fail experiment at the city comes back to haunt them, it is either pull out of NI completely or come knocking, cap in hand. I know what sort of stand the BFS management will be happier they took in that scenario.

SecondDog
19th Jul 2012, 15:33
I want to see them have a go at BFS, i think they could offer a wide variety of routes. The only problems are ;

1. EZY will probably not like it
2: FR will want rock bottom prices from BFS to fly from it.

If it did happen there would be some good competition between the two..

I imagine FR will only come to BFS if they accept a non-competition agreement with Easyjet. Easyjet is the cash cow don't forget, you can't afford to piss off the company that brings you almost 3.5 million passengers a year.

The BFS management (as proven over the EI switch) will not offer the same sorts of deals as Mr Ambrose because, again, they can't afford to upset easyjet (who would surely look for parity if they did)

I actually think the BFS management have done reasonably well to get coverage for some of the lost routes through their remaining airlines.

CaptJ
19th Jul 2012, 15:48
I see your point, but the statement does seem to be interpretable from the other angle too.

If BFS felt the need to issue that statement, they are clearly very very bitter about something.
No business relationship is one sided.

Which is why BHD seem incredibly short-sighted in angering its best customers.
By that I mean, not just Flybe, but Flybe's customers, who seem a fairly loyal bunch. Flybe have fairly decent schedules to several destinations where the competition competes only on price. Gatwick, Edinburgh for example. Aer Lingus are NEVER going to match those schedules, but they will force Flybe to ramp down their schedules. the end result will be THREE airlines flying to the SAME destinations, ALL with cr@p infrequent schedules.
Just where is the benefit?
My wife and I moved from BFS-LGW to BHD-LGW for the better schedules. Looks as if we are back up the road again!

Looks like the last desperate act of an airline that is destined for a slow slide to oblivion. Or a quick one if MOL gets his way.

eastern wiseguy
19th Jul 2012, 15:50
We have decided to move to Belfast City Airport for the benefit of the NI travelling public. This move will cost us money but we are happy to do it"

Anyone who believes that.....I have a bridge I would like to sell you :ugh:

Husky One
19th Jul 2012, 16:12
A move devoid of real strategy by he looks of it. Flybe will robustly defend its own network. Aer Lingus do not bring anything to the party that Flybe don't already. The LGW will degenerate into a price war which ultimately will result in EI dumping it or both carriers reducing their schedules. Regional turning up with a couple of ATR's isn't exactly a credible threat either as Flybe are introducing more 175's across their network. Even the Q400 is a better option than an ATR.
The gap at BFS is more concerning. Easyjet really need to react to this by up scaling to A320, making the 6th aircraft permanent and launching a couple of longer routes. The pressure on airport management to capitulate to Ryanair will be intense. If they capitulate they will destroy the relationship with Easyjet which will trigger job losses and relocation of aircraft too.

True Blue
19th Jul 2012, 21:23
Well another really stupid day for NI avaition, but some don't see it that way.

Now is the time for Bfs to go to BA and Flybe and offer deals that are fantastic. Let those 2 take the offers back to BHD for them to equal/better. In no time, BHD will not be collecting any landing fees at all.

What will Mr BA do when this latest adventure fails?

ILS25
19th Jul 2012, 22:09
UP620, you are correct. My father in law had the exact same experience. Party of 4 had booked to Palma with baby from BHD and had to go with Easy in the end. I asked him today would he book anywhere from BHD again and his answer was, and I quote, "Not as long as my backside points south."

True Blue, well said ! I don't get this zero landing fee nonsense. BHD are and have been struggling in the profit department, how is this going to help.

Looks like an act of desperation from both BHD and Aer Lingus in my opinion.

Well done BFS management for not giving in to bully tactics. :D

mart901
19th Jul 2012, 23:25
In the end though WW would have pulled out regardless of which airport it was and loads of routes got cut out of EMA and BHX also. I can't see EI pulling the same stunt, its just not their style, if you notice nobody has been majorly affected by this move with nothing except LHR on sale over winter for some time. I think they are playing safe on known territory routes with minimal risks. EZY and LS will no doubt continue to fatten up schedules and the only major loss will be LHR, something I can't see being replaced with the slot situation as it is.

EGAC is Better
20th Jul 2012, 00:44
In these days of p.c madness it is nice to hear a public facing business stick up for themselves, instead tell it how it is and dont capitulate to totally unreasonable proposals. Pity there was no post script of "Mind the door doesn't hit your arse on the way out." That would have been fantastic sntertainment.

It is madness that will ultimately only end one way.

EZY gotta be rubbing their hands with glee, they basically now have the bucket and spade brigade all to themselves save for a small Jet2 operation.

Straightahead
20th Jul 2012, 03:40
could this be the end of Aer Lingus in NI why move from profit making to loss making? Only Paddy the Irishman can answer that question.Another strange quote came from MR BA on utv news that all airlines pay the same, me thinks they all pay NOTHING.

sealink
20th Jul 2012, 14:09
Get Ryanair into BFS. I know people may say they don't like FR but they will fill their flights and if you plan ahead you can fly A to B for a great low price.

SecondDog
20th Jul 2012, 16:34
In no time, BHD will not be collecting any landing fees at all.

I'd be surprised if they collected any at the moment anyway. Flybe got a good deal last time round as well!

tigger2k8
20th Jul 2012, 18:56
I would support FR in BFS if they came along with new routes, if they just copy EZY's flights I think that it would be a negative thing to invite them in.

Honestly I believe that expansion will come from EZY.. with increases in frequencies to a majority of their domestic destinations and the fact that ACE, LPA and TFS are now all up for grabs for a scheduled year service (As LS's frequencies are still low compared to what has been offered in previous years). It would be my guess for a 6th aircraft this winter and possibly more based for summer 2013. After all the MAD base is closing, which frees up aircraft.

ILS25
20th Jul 2012, 20:26
BFS are in talks with an airline previously mentioned not long ago on here (not FR), I'm not saying who as Mr Ambrose would probably offer them free popcorn or something to come down to BHD.

EI-BUD
20th Jul 2012, 20:26
Would Ryanair step into Tenerife and Lanzarote Island routes vacated by AerLingus say on 4 a week to BFS. Or routes to BFS from any Canary Island bases that they have?

Might be a typical FR move in terms of moving in on AerLingus turf. ? Wont be AerLingus turf for long but in my view if FR were ever to come in, this is the opening.

EI-BUD

True Blue
20th Jul 2012, 22:35
I see we are being fed more of the same s**t re Ei's move to Bhd. We are going after the business pax, higher yield etc. Has Bhd a ready made statement for all their captures from Bfs to use? Do you ever notice there is never any evidence produced with these sweeping statement? Why can they not be honest for a change, they were sold the Mr BA line about how BHD is a pot of gold, add to that we will buy your business. Are there no business pax out of Bfs? I am one for a start. It also seems that as long as the good folk around Belfast have a great service to Lhr, the rest don't matter. So if you live in the North West of the province, tough luck, not interested in you. I wonder where EI are going to find enough pax to make a success of the LGW service? At the end of the day, there is not enough pax for all these services. Those that use Bfs-Lgw now will probably continue to do so. Do they expect all of the Flybe pax to desert in favour of Ei? Probably not. Here is a great example of a very bad business decision made after some great marketing by BA and based purely on fees. I listened to the interview by EI on Radio Ulster, what a load of rubbish.

TB

eastern wiseguy
21st Jul 2012, 13:31
Sorry to see them go. I always liked them and they were certainly my airline of choice to LHR and most definitely to the US .

Glad to see that EZY and Jet2 picking up some slack HOWEVER serious questions must now be asked over the way the business is being run. There is a dreadful feeling of "all eggs in one basket". EZY now have BIAL over a barrel .

You have to ask what the charging regime is at BIAL? BHD apparently return a profit of pennies but remain an aggressive force .Are they taking the RYR approach and letting their profit flow from car park /shop/lounge fees and other ancillary income streams? .

Do the Spanish owners need to sit and have a think about where they are going?

If BIAL continually feeds carriers to the competitor down the road without any replacements....then they will be caught in a spiral of decreasing returns with Spain demanding higher (or at least increasing with inflation and therefore STATIC) profits. That is a recipe for disaster. It is time to grasp the nettle and reclaim the commercial advantage.

On an aside with the exception of Manx2 EVERY airline that has been poached to the harbour has disappeared.

As I said I LIKED Aer Lingus:hmm:

Aaron9890
21st Jul 2012, 13:39
BFS are in talks with an airline previously mentioned not long ago on here (not FR), I'm not saying who as Mr Ambrose would probably offer them free popcorn or something to come down to BHD.

Could it be Monarch????

BFS101
21st Jul 2012, 14:03
Although they couldn't operate from BHD, I take it that was a lil tongue n cheek, could the airline previously mentioned on here talking to BFS be for a Canadian or Middle Eastern route???

SecondDog
21st Jul 2012, 15:46
Sorry to see them go. I always liked them and they were certainly my airline of choice to LHR and most definitely to the US .

Glad to see that EZY and Jet2 picking up some slack HOWEVER serious questions must now be asked over the way the business is being run. There is a dreadful feeling of "all eggs in one basket". EZY now have BIAL over a barrel .

The loss of EI is probably because EZY already has BIA over a barrel. No matter what people on here say, there is no way BFS tried to match the Zero fees that the harbour offered, because they couldn't afford to give EZY the same.

You have to ask what the charging regime is at BIAL? BHD apparently return a profit of pennies but remain an aggressive force .Are they taking the RYR approach and letting their profit flow from car park /shop/lounge fees and other ancillary income streams?

If Easyjet are on a reduced deal, it is nothing like the deals offered by the Harbour. As you say, they are attempting to make money via parking/footfall. As I have said before on here, don't let BFS fool you, they make good income/profit year on year, probably because they don't try and compete with those crazy deals. In short term, BFS does much much better, even after loss of Aer Lingus.

Do the Spanish owners need to sit and have a think about where they are going?

Probably not, numbers seem good given the economic circumstances

If BIAL continually feeds carriers to the competitor down the road without any replacements....then they will be caught in a spiral of decreasing returns with Spain demanding higher (or at least increasing with inflation and therefore STATIC) profits. That is a recipe for disaster. It is time to grasp the nettle and reclaim the commercial advantage.

There might be something to that, but again city took home profits of Approx £15,000 last year, where do you draw the line in the sand?

On an aside with the exception of Manx2 EVERY airline that has been poached to the harbour has disappeared.

Yep, most of the ones they have poached before now were doomed by economics or by the city limitations. Manx2 are the type of airline that should fly out of a small regional airport, hence they are in the right place. (queue the hate but it is just simple logic people)

As I said I LIKED Aer Lingushttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Me too, think they will probably end up doing alright/average out of city and in the end of it all, they are a commercial company with the right to provide services from wherever they choose. It's just a shame about how they went about things.

tigger2k8
21st Jul 2012, 16:22
The loss of EI is probably because EZY already has BIA over a barrel. No matter what people on here say, there is no way BFS tried to match the Zero fees that the harbour offered, because they couldn't afford to give EZY the same.

Yes I agree, when I heard the rumours of the same deal offered I found it hard to believe. BFS wants to make a profit and doesn't settle for anything that doesn't make good business sense.. hence why they have yet to agree to FR coming in.. as they wanted subsidised (will that change?). I dont think BHD went as low as zero fee's, I believe, well from what I have heard they went for £1 per passenger in landing fee's, again this could be nonsense.

With the increased EZY + LS flights, also the introduction of BHX + SEN) and with the 6th EZY base aircraft probably hanging around for winter, im beginning to think we might not see too much of a drop in numbers, as i estimate that the 2 EI aircraft if they had remained in BFS during the 5 months of the winter schedule (if full) would carry around 120,000 passengers, this is based on the A320 doing 3 LHR runs a day and the A319 doing the sun routes (2 per day).

SecondDog
21st Jul 2012, 16:38
Yes I agree, when I heard the rumours of the same deal offered I found it hard to believe. BFS wants to make a profit and doesn't settle for anything that doesn't make good business sense.. hence why they have yet to agree to FR coming in.. as they wanted subsidised (will that change?). I dont think BHD went as low as zero fee's, I believe, well from what I have heard they went for £1 per passenger in landing fee's, again this could be nonsense.

Not sure how it is set up there but I would have thought the landing/housing fees were Zero (or near enough as makes little difference) and maybe some charges for Terminal departing passengers, although £1 would be low (although it had to be a good deal to move there for sure so that might be right)

Of course that is not to mention the like of office space/crew room/engineering housing rentals which might also come into the equation if they are part of the deal.

SecondDog
21st Jul 2012, 16:43
With the increased EZY + LS flights, also the introduction of BHX + SEN) and with the 6th EZY base aircraft probably hanging around for winter, im beginning to think we might not see too much of a drop in numbers, as i estimate that the 2 EI aircraft if they had remained in BFS during the 5 months of the winter schedule (if full) would carry around 120,000 passengers, this is based on the A320 doing 3 LHR runs a day and the A319 doing the sun routes (2 per day).

Agreed, I think the length of time it took EI to finalise things allowed for BFS Mgmt to ghost in the other carriers to cover the shortfall.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if BFS stalled on offering EI a new deal long enough to finalise with Easy/Jet2 and effectively force EI out the door.

The only real loss is the Heathrow and I don't think the onward travel is as big a factor for BFS travellers as for those from the BHD.

Interesting to see how it pans out

dublinaviator
21st Jul 2012, 17:52
@SecondDog

Going by the statement put out by BIA management, I really doubt they were happy to just stand by and watch Aer Lingus go out the door as you describe. They were clearly p***ed off at Aer Lingus leaving and in their eyes, giving no valid reason for doing so. If you read their statement, they didn't even have any contact with Aer Lingus prior to them announcing their intention to switch airports. So if you believe what they say, Aer Lingus didn't even look for a better deal from BIA which, if true, seems bizarre.

sealink
22nd Jul 2012, 11:51
Even if EI started a STN instead of the LGW might be a better idea ?

Fairdealfrank
22nd Jul 2012, 17:24
Quote: "Even if EI started a STN instead of the LGW might be a better idea ? "

For pax going where exactly? For all but a small part of London and for most of the south, LGW and LHR are better, and those with onward connections need to be going to LHR. STN is handy only for a small part of London, Essex and East Anglia, and even for some of those, SEN would be more convenient!

SecondDog
22nd Jul 2012, 19:33
@SecondDog

Going by the statement put out by BIA management, I really doubt they were happy to just stand by and watch Aer Lingus go out the door as you describe. They were clearly p***ed off at Aer Lingus leaving and in their eyes, giving no valid reason for doing so. If you read their statement, they didn't even have any contact with Aer Lingus prior to them announcing their intention to switch airports. So if you believe what they say, Aer Lingus didn't even look for a better deal from BIA which, if true, seems bizarre.

All entirely possible but you are right, I think it would be bizzare if there wasn't some discussions. I guess we'll never hear quite the right way of it but I think EZY would probably have called the shots anyway over a wee cheap deal. Hard to argue with the amount of business they bring too if I'm honest.

EI-BUD
22nd Jul 2012, 21:57
Even if EI started a STN instead of the LGW might be a better
idea

Apart from the fact that EI doesn't already fly to STN (which is not a big issue), if they started BHD STN, FR would be back in like a shot, so EI would be trying to get onto routes where they are less likely to have FR competition, and where they can offer a point of difference i.e. connections.

LGW will be hotly contested, Flybe will maintain a decent share of its existing traffic for reasons such as it is well established on the routes, people are used to booking with them and it will take a while for most to realise EI are operating the route. Flybe have extensive codesharing and interlining arrangements and high frequency. They will fight the fight as not to will be invitation for EI and EIR into BHD one of BE's biggest bases.

I would suggest that BHD LGW will grow about 5k-7k passengers per month, with half of those coming from BFS LGW, somewhat like what happened to EZY numbers on STN BFS when FR hit the market (who were carrying up to 30k pax per month quite soon on STN BHD).

EI-BUD

EI-BUD
22nd Jul 2012, 22:16
The AerLingus description of Belfast BFS is 'Belfast All Airports' which is highly misleading as when you choose Belfast All Airports (and you would be led to believe you will see a choice of all destinations), London Gatwick is not on the drop down. Hardly a major issue but could be more robust. Ideally like easyJet used to do, you could choose from Belfast All Airports, Belfast International and Belfast City Airports. And list the relevent destinations under each airport and ALL airports under Belfast All Airports.

EI-BUD

sealink
24th Jul 2012, 09:56
I just think its odd for EI to operate LHR and LGW when someone could try to regain the paxs lost on the ex baby STN.

BHD2BFS
25th Jul 2012, 23:18
Anyone heard anymore news on who bfs management have to replace EI, anyone who works there seen any airline execs walking about?

The Sham
26th Jul 2012, 08:44
Flight Radar was showing a Monarch flight this morning from SFB to BFS (flight no MON326p) was operated by Pullmantur Air and was a 747. Is this correct?? Really disappointed I missed it if true!

david1994
26th Jul 2012, 08:46
Nothing showing on CFMU about it being in.

The Sham
26th Jul 2012, 10:55
Must just have been one off those flightradar glitches!! Pity, it would have been nice to see a 747 in BFS!!!

IrishFlyer2013
26th Jul 2012, 10:57
Must just have been one off those flightradar glitches!! Pity, it would have been nice to see a 747 in BFS!!!

It was a Flightradar glitche. It operated SFB-GLA & then positioned down to MAD from GLA.

True Blue
26th Jul 2012, 15:43
Re the EI move to Bhd. I have just been checking the BA site for flights early April 13. BA have departures at 6.30, 7.35 and 9.45am. How will EI compete with that with a departure at 7.20am? BA has the early morning times swamped with capacity. At least EI had a different market at Bfs, at Bhd they will have no difference. I know BA could change times, but at the minute the move to Bhd makes little sense. It matters not having low landing fees if your planes are leaving half empty because a larger competitor has more departures. And where are they going to majic up sufficient pax to make Lgw work? 7 flights by BA, 3 with Ei. How will this end?

TB

Aaron9890
26th Jul 2012, 17:19
Re the EI move to Bhd. I have just been checking the BA site for flights early April 13. BA have departures at 6.30, 7.35 and 9.45am. How will EI compete with that with a departure at 7.20am? BA has the early morning times swamped with capacity. At least EI had a different market at Bfs, at Bhd they will have no difference. I know BA could change times, but at the minute the move to Bhd makes little sense. It matters not having low landing fees if your planes are leaving half empty because a larger competitor has more departures. And where are they going to majic up sufficient pax to make Lgw work? 7 flights by BA, 3 with Ei. How will this end?

TB

Really don't understand the strategy behind this move whatsoever. Really poor decision in my opinion by Aer Lingus. Why leave an airport that you are doing fine with and making suitable PAX and profits. I doubt they will even get a chance to start the summer routes at BHD before they bail out. It's a pity because i always saw EI as a good airline, but this move just seems so illogical to me.. BHD are getting a bit desperate now in trying to attract airlines. I hhope Flybe ditch them soon, possibly a move up the road to BFS ???:ooh:

I can see either RYR , BE or MON joining BFS sometime soon.

mart901
26th Jul 2012, 17:23
On the LHR route looking around Nov to early Dec EI are coming out about £40-£45 cheaper than BA, that may very well swing a lot of people in the EI direction, even adding a bag on you would still be £20 better off. I would say having 3 flights a day they have a lot less to loose than having 7 half empty flights, especially with BA's high cost base. On the LGW I agree it will probably be a bun fight but its worth remembering LGW are going against smaller aircraft and this may affect BE.

db7
26th Jul 2012, 18:20
EI have made it clear that they are attempting to attract the business market. It is much more difficult to compare prices in this market as there are so many corporate deals in existence. As BD sunk EI managed to pull off many corporate deals with NI companies that undercut BD. Whether BA will be more aggressive in this area is still to be seen.

BHD2BFS
26th Jul 2012, 18:53
qatar airways have announced a new route today from birmingham. in the statement they also said they where in talks with 2 other UK airports, could one of them be BFS, with the loss of 2 major airlines in the last 2 years now by BFS they should be bending over for an airline like this

SecondDog
26th Jul 2012, 18:56
They would need to sort out the bridge first before any of those big boys would go there.

BHD2BFS
26th Jul 2012, 18:57
whats wrong with the airbridge? or do you mean they need more?

EI-BUD
26th Jul 2012, 19:42
I can see either RYR , BE or MON joining BFS sometime soon.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if FR make an appearance on LGW BHD or a reappearance on STN BHD simply to make it difficult for EI, they might find it too irresistable.

Still amazed there has been nothing from BE in terms of some retaliation if only moving 1 or 2 non competing routes...

EI-BUD

BHD2BFS
26th Jul 2012, 19:55
There is still plenty of time EI BUD, bfs management said they where looking for replacement airlines, so we are only left with mon be and fr. I can't see fr so my money is on be or mon

SecondDog
26th Jul 2012, 20:28
whats wrong with the airbridge? or do you mean they need more?

If they were looking to attract a big long hauler, I would say yes they need 1 more. But apart from that, the existing bridge struggles to fit anything bigger than a 757 (Basic install apparently to keep UA happy) Definitely can't manage a 330, one of the airport's Ops guys was telling me it can't reach :ugh:

EI-BUD
26th Jul 2012, 20:41
Thanks BHD2BFS. I dont think MON will be here unless it is chartered services, in which case maybe BFS.

In terms of UK airlines: there are not that many eligible ones left for serving BHD, eastern though small is too pricey to make a go of the local market and cant see what gaps are left that would suit them.

bmi regional would be a good one if we could get them onto a BRU and FRA, but connectivity would be a real asset and I am not sure how connected they will be so to speak. So outside of who we already have an consider the opportunities that exist domestically the only one I can see is FR.

As far as serving Europe unless BE do it we could only hope for a Vueling to BCN though they started routes like SOU and CWL where no existing operator from those cities operate so Belfast unlikely though maybe next summer with EI off the scene they might, though wouldnt put money on it.

The 2 staring out to me are German Wings with a weekly or twice weekly to Cologne or the Return of Wizz Air to Belfast market with a maybe 1 or 2 weekly Warsaw or Gdansk. Would they do a BHD LTN route? Would marry well to the network at LTN.

The challenge as I see it for BHD is that there are actually few real alternatives left who would fit the market well. The EU traffic would be/is mainly outbound so a brand well known on these shores would be needed.

KLM to AMS most unlikely given the track record of the EI experience the current numbers and past experience by KL on LPL AMS v EZY.

On a completely different note Qatar Airways (what an exception airline) would they consider doing 319 on BFS as they do use 319 to some EU destinations such as GVA. Would need to touch down enroute...

EI-BUD

mart901
26th Jul 2012, 21:09
I would have said cityjet would fit BHD more in terms of aircraft and operating style and maybe air berlin or brussels airlines? For BFS with EI going it looks very much like LTN or STN - full of lcc routes and unless someone breaks that mould I think it will remain so, this may very well be behind the thinking of EI's move.

EI-BUD
26th Jul 2012, 21:27
mart
Can't see AirBerlin coming back, they have tried it and it didnt work and that was when they were on a domestic route with a STN base. Sadly.

Me thinks Brussels Airlines would be wishful thinking, though given the success of EI's ORK BRU route this summer and the apparent presence of more tourists than usual (me feels that the NI tourism marketing campaign is not bad at all plus the focus on Titanic etc.) and a 319 maybe EI could do a x3 weekly BHD BRU? Plus relatively short sector and a refreshing alternative to AMS!!

Cityjet given their current financial situation under the AF umbrella and the overhang of a strategic review they are unlikely to go a back onto a route that they tried, tested and failed.

Mlinnie
26th Jul 2012, 21:34
In my opinion the EI move to BHD won't last very long, they're operating the same old boring routes (Faro,Malaga,Heathrow,Gatwick) what both BHD and BFS need is to attract new markets like Germany I mean come on ! We don't even have a scheduled service to Germany ! I mean look about 80% of flights from BFS are bound for the UK or bucket And spade destinations (Turkey, Spain, Portugal)
I dunno what will happen with EI but I don't think they will be in BHD for very long, could this be the end of EI in Belfast ? Very short sighted move Aer Lingus :=
BFS will be fine replacing EI, we'll get more Easyjet London flights, will start up canary routes, the only real loss will be Heathrow. But I hope that someday Easyjet would consider starting routes such as Berlin, Rome, Milan, Madrid or Prague ?

mart901
26th Jul 2012, 21:47
I'm sure EZY will add more routes I'm not sure what BFS needs is yet more reliance on one carrier, which is why EI's move is good for BHD. Where Air Berlin is concerned I was thinking of the smaller aircraft and German destinations, the reason for Brussels is having used it last week its a brilliant place to connect and Brussels airlines interline with luftansa, austrian and swiss. Brussels airlines have avro in the fleet and access to Q400. Other than those carriers maybe germanwings??

EI-BUD
26th Jul 2012, 21:59
In my opinion the EI move to BHD won't last very long, they're operating the
same old boring routes (Faro,Malaga,Heathrow,Gatwick) what both BHD and BFS need
is to attract new markets like Germany I mean come on ! We don't even have a
scheduled service to Germany ! I mean look about 80% of flights from BFS are
bound for the UK or bucket And spade destinations (Turkey, Spain, Portugal)

Mlinnie,
I actually upon reflection think EI will be ok in BHD. BE while they will defend their patch, EI is bigger carrier with stronger performance in terms of profitability and BE wont want to waste resources competing for loss making services. I.e. when LGW becomes saturated with low priced seats BE will reduce the schedule slightly and focus on business traveller and onward connections added to its well established name on the route. I.e. people who want to fly BHD LGW know BE is the carrier on the route. EI have to work on that side of it.

EI will be a compelling proposition in terms of price and at this stage in their development they will be extremely reluctant to effectively close another base (granted closing BFS but staying in Belfast market).

EI-BUD

Ernest Lanc's
26th Jul 2012, 22:02
I think Belfast does great. with two airports...

I wonder just how big a Belfast airport would be, was there only the one?.

mart901
26th Jul 2012, 22:12
ei-bud

I think EI have tried hard to distinguish themselves as a mid market airline, better than low cost but cheaper than flag carrier, the sort of thinking mans alternative, very much like BE are trying to be. Therefore I think being at BHD suits that model rather than fares wars with LS and EZY. Hopefully this approach will see some new European routes launched.

BHD2BFS
26th Jul 2012, 22:40
Anyone know why tcx has 2 flights arriving from dalaman only 5 minutes apart tonyt? Would it not have made sense to use a bigger aircraft and save money?

tigger2k8
26th Jul 2012, 23:24
All has to do with aircraft availability, which can be a problem. EZY is having to use titan due to late aircraft delivery. And none available due to summer.

Skipness One Echo
26th Jul 2012, 23:49
EI is bigger carrier with stronger performance in terms of profitability
BE has ~70 aircraft, EI has ~43. Do you have the financials to hand by way of comparison?

mart901
27th Jul 2012, 00:04
Aer Lingus made €84million pre tax profit in 2011, I'm not sure about flybe but last time I saw them on the news they were announcing a profit warning, somewhere in the £10million loss region. In terms of recognition Aer Lingus have been around since 1936 and their brand is transatlantic as well as european, the flybe brand was launched in 2002, although jersey european started in 1979 and it has grown massively in a short space of time including stock market floatation.

EI-BUD
27th Jul 2012, 19:59
Skipness One Echo, I would hasten to add aircraft numbers have nothing to do with it. Aer Lingus possibly have more seats at any one time compared to BE as 320s 330s 321s & 319s in that order have a lot more seats when compared to the collective fleet of Q400s and EMB. In addition, EI is robust in terms of cost when compared to many airlines, they have survived what can only be described as most intensive competition from Ryanair or any airlines. So that's not a bad achievement by any standard in my book.

Mart901 is correct, EI profitable with good annual results in last couple of year against a backdrop of intense financial diffs in the Republic. BE has had significant challenges in the last year what with slump in domestic bookings in GB and the focus and investment in bring the nordic operation into the airline. The new pricing model etc is a step in their plan to improve the complete operation by the sounds of it.

Aaron9890
27th Jul 2012, 21:59
In terms of UK airlines: there are not that many eligible ones left for serving BHD, eastern though small is too pricey to make a go of the local market and cant see what gaps are left that would suit them.

I meant airlines joining BFS... MON. BE and FR.

ILS25
27th Jul 2012, 22:07
Quote:
I meant airlines joining BFS... MON. BE. FR. and VS

Aaron9890
27th Jul 2012, 22:42
I meant airlines joining BFS... MON. BE. FR. and VS Ohhhhh :ooh: is that a hint :L. I heard BFS where in talks with VS.

I actually upon reflection think EI will be ok in BHD. BE while they will defend their patch, EI is bigger carrier with stronger performance in terms of profitability and BE wont want to waste resources competing for loss making services. I.e. when LGW becomes saturated with low priced seats BE will reduce the schedule slightly and focus on business traveller and onward connections added to its well established name on the route. I.e. people who want to fly BHD LGW know BE is the carrier on the route. EI have to work on that side of it.

EI will be a compelling proposition in terms of price and at this stage in their development they will be extremely reluctant to effectively close another base (granted closing BFS but staying in Belfast market).

EI-BUD

I am not sure, with two airlines doing heathrow surely they will make less compared to being the only airline at BFS?? Same with Gatwick, except most people in N.I will likely go with EZY. Concerning the Sun routes, i think they will do alright but its again the same old same old routes. Since the demand for BMI Baby on sun routes where high, i would expect the same with EI. Again though, surely most people will go to BFS for these routes??

I just dont understand why they would change from 9 secure, profit making routes at BFS to 4 nervy routes, 2 of which already served at BHD. Makes no sense to me whatsoever... I really hope this isn't the end of EI in N.I as i really like them as an airline. Wish they had just stayed at BFS

tigger2k8
27th Jul 2012, 23:03
The only ones who know are those in the commercial department in BFS. What we do know is that John Doran mentioned that they were in talks with airlines (new and existing) and would like to announce something in the coming months as quoted below.

“We are already working to fill the void left by this defection and are confident that in coming months we will have positive news on new GB and international services”.

Honestly I would put money on an EZY expansion of the base. They know fine rightly that they now have the airport by the balls even more so than before, no doubt they will take advantage of this, perhaps those painted passenger walk ways should be re-done in orange

BHD2BFS
31st Jul 2012, 15:10
now that EI have confirmed that they are leaving has easyjet added extra flights to all london airports and a few other airports like they said they would?
was going to book flight myself to london and there only seems to be 1 flight in the morning to london airports, have they decided not to increase?

GAZMO
31st Jul 2012, 16:14
EZY are probably trying to weigh up the best options
If they locate a A319 in BFS it can do an early morning flight to one of the London airports. I think they may look at SEN at 6.55ish but planning for the full day is slightly more difficult. SEN is a great airport and although the destination is just started the numbers are increasing rapidly. Last month I took my first flight to SEN, plane landed at 9.45 at gate and I was on the 9.55 train to London
Maybe they will put a 6.35 from Gatwick to BFS and returns at 8.20? I think they will have to up Gatwick in face of the competition
We will have to wait and see but hopefully they will look at key European destinations for mid mornings

True Blue
31st Jul 2012, 21:27
My bet is they will try to bracket a departure either side of Ei times, if they want to attack them. This is a well tried tactic in attacking another operator. Ezy will then have a greater choice of times for pax to choose from, making life very difficult for Ei. But maybe Ei deserve it for their stupidy.

TB

BHD2BFS
31st Jul 2012, 21:31
I wonder what is going on behind management doors at bfs? I wonder if they are talking to other airlines or just hoping there best friend ezy will mop up
Would love to see Mon make an appearance at least then we have a chance of long haul routes and the good old sanford route

GAZMO
31st Jul 2012, 21:49
Have to agree with true blue, can't see how they are going to fill the Gatwick route, Flybe have a loyal following and EZY are attracting more business passengers.
On the LHR BA is going to win hands down
Personally to London it will be EZY for me and if I have to connect at LHR it will be BA
Just waiting for LS or MON to put a few flights to FAR and AGP and EI will be heading down the road again

Another_Dude
1st Aug 2012, 09:15
I saw this aircraft yesterday operating the Jet2 Leeds? Looks fantastic! It is suppose to be in this evening if anyone is interested.

Aaron9890
1st Aug 2012, 14:37
I saw this aircraft yesterday operating the Jet2 Leeds? Looks fantastic! It is suppose to be in this evening if anyone is interested.

Very nice livery!!

BHD2BFS
1st Aug 2012, 22:33
Travelled through the airport this morning and was nice to see it busy
I see the old boots unit,the unit beside Starbucks and the one beside wh smyths is still empty, which I am quite surprised about, an airport which has over 4million pax travelling through it should warrant a good choice of shops
Also nice to see the horrible red and white barriers are gone where ezy stands are and replaced with railings but think it would have been a a better idea to put a roof along it to make it a bit of a shelter
Also was talking to a friend who heard malta is to be dropped and replaced with Tenerife, I though Malta had good loads

ILS25
2nd Aug 2012, 01:30
The unit beside starbucks is a new unit that was built with the reconfiguration of this area, would have been part of the duty free and old starbucks at one time, you are right though, it was supposed to be a clothing shop of some sort ( cant remember who was supposed to take this unit). The old boots is now a oasis gaming machine unit beside the lagan bar.

GAZMO
2nd Aug 2012, 15:53
Load factors for Malta are quite good, around 2500 pax per month, which for a two weekly flight is not bad

Wish BFS would fill the empty Boots store area, even if they have to lease at min price, something is better than nothing

Would love to see a seafood and caviar bar at BFS......little chance

BHD2BFS
2nd Aug 2012, 16:16
Is there any chance that since BHD have stole EI from bfs, bfs will try to poach BA, when BA took over the old contract from BMI which I believe is quite expensive, surely BFS could offer a better deal

GAZMO
2nd Aug 2012, 16:21
Would love to see BA at BFS
With 24/7 operations they could have a later flight to BFS arriving 10.30pm. Make the most of the business day and would help with return connections, the number of times I have had to book a heathrow hotel as arriving at LHR after 6.30 and you have little chance of making the last flight. If they could have a 9.15 departure it would be great

ILS25
2nd Aug 2012, 18:20
BFS management are up to something, and BHD will probably suffer for it. Have heard various rumours, some of them laughable.

I wouldn't rule anything out though.

BHD2BFS
2nd Aug 2012, 18:35
What have you heard ILS?

EI-BUD
2nd Aug 2012, 20:46
BMI which I believe is quite expensive, surely BFS could offer a better
deal

BHD2BFS

I think this is absolutely not the case, BA had absolutely no obligation to extend the contract with BHD. Besides in the current environment of the 2 airports competing for operators, the city airport would be most wise to do a deal with BA up front. Afterall, BA is run commercially and as such will lever its position. Furthermore, when bmi consolidated its position at BHD and brought bmibaby in, the word was officially that they consolidated their position, and the rumours were hot on here that bmi was talking to BFS management. So in which context bmi would absolutely not have paid above the odds.

So to suggest that BA is paying excessively at BHD, I think is nonsense.
I think BA will focus on the integration of bmi now, remove dupication where possible ex LHR eg. Basel and when this is complete and a steady state established they will look at other issues such as items like negotiations with particular airports like Belfast. So that may well come, but not for one minute do I believe that BA wont be ahead of the curve in terms of the fees that it is paying. BA can bring a lot to the party that most other airlines cannot, especially its reputation and connectivity via LHR to the world.

On a separate note, in terms of the long run, Aer Lingus can give BHD what BA cannot, connectivity to Europe, EI will stick with it for the long run and if any airline can bring BHDs euro routes to a par with BFS (apart from EZY if they would move) it is EI. So a move be BA to BFS could copperfasten EI's long terms viability at BHD...

Aaron9890
3rd Aug 2012, 21:58
I see that there are a lot of diverts to BFS tonight, anyone know whats going on??

EI-BUD
3rd Aug 2012, 22:08
American Airlines emergency landing at Dublin is the issue....

irishlad06
3rd Aug 2012, 23:53
Busy night tonight, 4x EI diversions 1x TOM and 1x AFR/City Jet diversions, ramp is bound to be full, I think most if not all have left already

onyxcrowle
3rd Aug 2012, 23:55
Aldergrove stopped taking traffic for a while as they was full

SecondDog
4th Aug 2012, 16:36
Busy night tonight, 4x EI diversions 1x TOM and 1x AFR/City Jet diversions, ramp is bound to be full, I think most if not all have left already

Just wondering how many of those 4 EI divs could BHD take, or would they still go up to the Int'l in such a case? Suppose if Menzies will handle them there then either is an option (nightime hours permitting)

KNT544
4th Aug 2012, 16:51
Surprised they were full at 6 diversions. Ive seen it with some stands doubled up when EI, FR and others diverted a few years ago. From memory one night there were aircraft on the road towards SRT (adjacent to #9) (cityjet?), 9 EIR, 10 EI, 11 EI, 15 FR, 16 EI, 17 FR, 19,20 (non exist), 21 TCX, 22N & 22S - cant recall except there were planes there - FR from memory, 24, 25N & 25S, 26, 27, 28, 29 plus the freight apron were all full.

12,13,14 and 18 had turning EZY aircraft.

When I left that night all the non base EI aircraft had left. The EIR was still there the next morning. At one stage things looked like aircraft were going to be towed down to Delta.

EI-A330-300
4th Aug 2012, 16:56
Just wondering how many of those 4 EI divs could BHD take, or would they still go up to the Int'l in such a case? Suppose if Menzies will handle them there then either is an option (nightime hours permitting)

I don't think that Belfast Management would say no to the extra revenue from diversions from EI regardless of the move and if they did then it raises questions what sort of brain dead people are running the airport....

I have never seen a forum to be so annoyed about a EI move to another airport. It happens all the time and I don't see why people are up on arms about it. Build a Bridge and get over it or you could just get a life.

tigger2k8
4th Aug 2012, 17:03
EI-330, my employers use BFS-LHR a lot, most of us are all located in the west of the country. We dont get paid expenses for to and from the airports. So people have the right to be annoyed as its going to cost us more, not to mention the lack of choice of conveniant car parking at BHD. Easy to turn around and say get over it but when it comes down to money...

EI-A330-300
4th Aug 2012, 17:31
Its coming accross to me that its peoples dislike of BHO as an airport rather than what BFS will be loosing with EI going and SecondDog post clearly shows this.

KNT544
4th Aug 2012, 17:41
dislike of BHO

For the love of God, BHO (VABP) is in India.

GAZMO
4th Aug 2012, 18:05
Have to agree with trigger. Car parking is so expensive at BHD, at least at BFS you have a choice.
Still waiting on jet2 or EZY announcing new routes.
Has anybody heard anything?

carlrsymington
4th Aug 2012, 20:31
Not if you park at the train halt, walk over the bridge, go to the old gate and go through, pick up the phone, they send a minibus to pick you up (last time it was brand new Ford S Max). On the way back - go to information desk, tell them you want to catch the train......:ok:

tigger2k8
4th Aug 2012, 21:36
Is the parking area secured and monitored? Insured etc? If so I'll maybe have to take an adventure to find it as there are a couple of dates I can't avoid LHR in December

Thanks

dog in park
4th Aug 2012, 22:36
We are very friendly over here in Nam but there are a few nutters. But leaving a car for a few days might not be good idea. Had a head lamp and wing mirror parted out once

dantheflyboy
5th Aug 2012, 10:42
Try booking with boalcityairportparking.co.uk Ikea carpark 5 mins away with free shuttle service. Far cheaper and its safe and secure. I'm not advertising just showing there is an alternative.

SecondDog
5th Aug 2012, 11:54
Quote:
I don't think that Belfast Management would say no to the extra revenue from diversions from EI regardless of the move and if they did then it raises questions what sort of brain dead people are running the airport....

I have never seen a forum to be so annoyed about a EI move to another airport. It happens all the time and I don't see why people are up on arms about it. Build a Bridge and get over it or you could just get a life.

Erm, I was asking a fair question with no interest in the BHD versus BFS side of things

carlrsymington
5th Aug 2012, 16:47
I wouldn't leave any car for a fortnight but for a weekend away it is fine. I have had no problems. Perversely, over the years, when I have had one or two incidents of damage (Not @ BHD) but it has always been when I have been driving something more unusual.

BFS101
5th Aug 2012, 19:45
Flew out of BHD last Friday early afternoon, returned last Sunday evening. Car parking booked on-line in long stay. £15 all in. I say can't be bad to that!!

All in all a pleasant experience through BHD again!!

eastern wiseguy
5th Aug 2012, 20:54
And the relevance of this to BFS is?.........Suggest you get a room with Dog in Park on the BHD thread...:E

BFS BHD
6th Aug 2012, 20:40
Anymore word on if this is going to happen.

BHD2BFS
6th Aug 2012, 20:47
What do you mean if this is going to happen?

BFS BHD
6th Aug 2012, 21:00
If easyJet is going to put extra flights on ALL the London route from 28th October still not up on their website.

BHD2BFS
6th Aug 2012, 21:43
I would like to think they would, would give a great choice. Plus there was a report about it on the news so there must be some substance.
I personally am interested in seeing what ezy and jet2 launch for S13 aswell as any airlines BFS has managed to get to replace EI i really hope the Virgin rumor to MCO is true. am I right in thinking next summers schedule is launched in sept?

BFS BHD
6th Aug 2012, 21:50
easyjet is in October some time.

NWSRG
7th Aug 2012, 18:32
i really hope the Virgin rumor to MCO is true

Would love to see it, but can't. Where has the rumour originated? Maybe it's just the result of us hopefuls talking it up. I can't see why VS would open another base to facilitate customers who probably already fly with them through MAN / GLA / LGW...

It might possibly work if they were to base an aircraft and compete with UA on New York, and add in a weekly Toronto also. But I can't see a single rotation to MCO working.

adfly
7th Aug 2012, 18:39
Seems to work from GLA! A weekly A330 positioning up from LGW/MAN operating MCO in the summer would probably do quite well although I think the 2 class ones will be changed to 3 class eventually and assuming they even stay in the 'leisure fleet' does BFS have enough premium demand to fill ~14 upper class seats along with ~50 PE?

BFS BHD
8th Aug 2012, 00:01
Does anyone no how many flights a week will TOM do to:

Bodrum
Burgas
Dalaman
Las Palmas/Gran Canaria
Lanzarote
Málaga
Minorca
Palma de Mallorca
Reus
Sharm El Sheikh
Tenerife-South

And TCX to:

Gran Canaria
Lanzarote
Tenerife-South
Alicante
Antalya
Bodrum
Dalaman
Enfidha (Not sure if this one is running)
Fuerteventura
Heraklion
Ibiza
Larnaca
Lleida-Alguaire (Not sure if this runs to)
Minorca
Orlando-Sanford
Palma de Mallorca
Reus

Thanks if anyone knows. :ok:

Skipness One Echo
8th Aug 2012, 00:31
I think the 2 class ones will be changed to 3 class eventually and assuming they even stay in the 'leisure fleet' does BFS have enough premium demand to fill ~14 upper class seats along with ~50 PE?

Current plan has both leisure A330s heading off to LHR as soon as the B744 refurbishments are complete, ~ 2013 ish, so it would be a B744 BFS would need to fill.

j636
8th Aug 2012, 01:46
Might be worth nothing at Aer Lingus have reduced there DUB-MCO route from 3 weekly in summer 2011 to 2 weekly this summer and the same is planned for 2013.

Virgins B747's:
367 Seats (44J, 62W, 261Y)
451 Seats (14J, 58W, 379Y)
455 Seats (14J, 66W, 375Y)

Filling a 747 weekly is a big ask and filling it and not making a loss on it is even more important.

Does anyone no how many flights a week will TOM do to:

Bodrum
Burgas
Dalaman
Las Palmas/Gran Canaria
Lanzarote
Málaga
Minorca
Palma de Mallorca
Reus
Sharm El Sheikh
Tenerife-South

Almost certain that its 2 flights per day with the majority of routes 1 weekly apart from Palma which is 2 or 3 weekly.

Would imagine TCK are more less the same if they have only one aircraft based.

flying officer kite
8th Aug 2012, 08:03
Couldnt Virgin do what Thomas Cook, Zoom and Globespan did, and operate the service from mainland UK, with a stop at Belfast in each direction. Much easier to get a full flight that way, and easier to sustain flights all through the summer season, or even year round?

Torque2
8th Aug 2012, 10:27
Apart from the requirement to deplane the pax on return in order to process through immigration at first point of call.

flying officer kite
8th Aug 2012, 11:34
i've not heard of any such requirement, unless its a new thing??

Zoom, Globespan and Thomas Cook never had to do that in my day, passengers stayed onboard. I've only ever had to do it once, in Manchester, but the plane was getting cleaned before continuing to where i needed to get to.

This would only be a requirement if Virgin, or any other airline were to sell domestic seats on the Belfast- Glasgow/Manchester/London/Wherever sectors, something that not many airlines do over here.

richardnei
8th Aug 2012, 11:49
All transit passengers must now clear Immigration on the 1st point of entry into the UK as requested by UKBA. Airlines must also apply in advance for multi sector clearance in order to operate such transit flights.

It's been in operation for over a year now. Causes alot of hassel for the passengers who are transiting and aswell as for the staff on the ground.

This only effects flights operating inbound to the UK.

flying officer kite
8th Aug 2012, 15:45
interesting, good to know

NWSRG
9th Aug 2012, 19:43
Filling a 747 weekly is a big ask and filling it and not making a loss on it is even more important.

Agreed...but perhaps a based A330 or 787 could work. But as I said before, I can't see VS offering one flight a week. MCO / JFK / YYZ might work.

BHD2BFS
9th Aug 2012, 19:55
my thoughts exactly nwsrg

also what happened to all the talk about etihad?

i think BFS management should advertise on therouteshop.com like alot of airports over the world, really seems to work

Skipness One Echo
9th Aug 2012, 21:27
All transit passengers must now clear Immigration on the 1st point of entry into the UK as requested by UKBA. Airlines must also apply in advance for multi sector clearance in order to operate such transit flights.
Why?
Why?
oh why oh why?

SecondDog
9th Aug 2012, 21:59
also what happened to all the talk about etihad?

I think this was coming more from Arlene Foster than from the airport itself based on the recent friend making exercise [read jaunt] the executive went on in the UAE

i think BFS management should advertise on therouteshop.com like alot of airports over the world, really seems to work

Good idea

dog in park
10th Aug 2012, 05:38
'think BFS management should advertise on
therouteshop.com like alot of airports over the
world, really seems to work'

Or they could pick up the phone and call their business development department.
I thought that web site was just a scam or a webuyanycar dot com type thing?

Cyrano
10th Aug 2012, 08:23
'think BFS management should advertise on
therouteshop.com like alot of airports over the
world, really seems to work'

Or they could pick up the phone and call their business development department.
I thought that web site was just a scam or a webuyanycar dot com type thing?

Not a scam at all - a very legitimate and quite useful resource for airline network planners wanting to check out possible future destinations. I have no connection to them other than as a satisfied user over several years.

BHD2BFS
13th Aug 2012, 19:12
Any word on the grape vine as to what happening about who's replacing the EI routes?

ILS25
13th Aug 2012, 19:38
Nothing but the usual rumours which I would take with a pinch of salt.

tigger2k8
14th Aug 2012, 00:14
I would say September or October will be the earliest for any sort of news for Summer 2013. Any expansion over winter need to be announced soon to take advantage of forward bookings.

GAZMO
14th Aug 2012, 14:03
What about the early morning flights from EZY....still waiting on these

BFS BHD
15th Aug 2012, 01:32
Thomas cook has added Lleida Alguaire for the winter running 23/12/12 to 10/03/13. They have also got a flight to Enfidha on the 28/10/12.

Also Rovaniemi, Finland is on BFS website but don't know whos doing it, its a one of flight on the 14/12/12.

Also BFS have the Leeds Jet2 times on their website running to 29/07/13.

BFS BHD :ok:

IrishFlyer2013
15th Aug 2012, 09:25
BFS-Lleida operated during the Winter 2011-2012 season aswell.

BFS-Enfidha will also operate from the 24-02-2013 to the 20-04-2013 and also from the 29-09-2013 to the 20-10-2013.

Falcon Holidays are offering the flight to Rovaniemi, Finland. The flight will be operated by Thomson Airways. It departs BFS at 07:15 and returns to BFS at 20:30.

BFS BHD
15th Aug 2012, 16:01
Thanks IrishFlyer2013 for the info. :ok:

NWSRG
16th Aug 2012, 19:20
Was there an A330 into BFS this morning? Or are my eyes just not what they used to be? Only seen at a distance on approach over Templepatrick at about 0930...

redED
16th Aug 2012, 20:00
Saw an A330 pass low over Belfast Lough at around 4ish too. Nothing on the arrivals board at the time. Military?

tigger2k8
16th Aug 2012, 20:10
Yes it was for the other side of the airport

NWSRG
16th Aug 2012, 22:40
Yes it was for the other side of the airport

A common or garden A330, or a Voyager?

EI-BUD
17th Aug 2012, 06:23
Over the summer months the Belfast base has been recognised as number 1 in terms of OTP (on time performance) and for turnarounds. Carolyn has stated last week BFS has been consistent over the recent months coming in top of the league each week. Great achievement for the collective people involved!

EI-BUD

Husky One
17th Aug 2012, 08:31
But no expansion. BFS will remain 6 summer and 5 winter. That leaves no possibility for a response to EI's withdrawal. Bonus culture wins again - they're chasing short term money in favour of long term development. If anything the regions are more likely to downsize that expand.

BHD2BFS
17th Aug 2012, 11:10
Have they confirmed no expansion?

EI-BUD
17th Aug 2012, 11:51
From Easyjet's perspective the only route that will be impacted by Aer Lingus winter flying programme is BFS LGW. Why would easyJet need to add extra flights to any routes outside of London for competitive advantage? The capacity in place ex BFS last winter on competiting routes was was overlapping on AGP and ALC. They were not high frequency and there was about enough pax to fill easyJet's flights.

While easyJet have said they will step up London routes (which seemed to be a response to EI rumours) in frequency, there could still be increased by non based aircraft

I would however, expect next summer to see easyJet respond agressively on AGP and FAO routes to EI's plans.

EI-BUD

SecondDog
17th Aug 2012, 13:13
Over the summer months the Belfast base has been recognised as number 1 in terms of OTP (on time performance) and for turnarounds. Carolyn has stated last week BFS has been consistent over the recent months coming in top of the league each week. Great achievement for the collective people involved!

But no expansion. BFS will remain 6 summer and 5 winter. That leaves no possibility for a response to EI's withdrawal. Bonus culture wins again - they're chasing short term money in favour of long term development. If anything the regions are more likely to downsize that expand.

These two things just don't correlate i'm sorry. BFS is consistently Easy's best base and those OTP stats are not indicative of the fact that the flights are handled by about half the ground staff that meet the flights on the mainland bases and they are paid several pounds per hour less than their colleagues on top of that, so BFS must easily be one of (if not THE) relative profit generating bases that the company has. Combine that with the fact that a rival's most popular winter routes (load factors steady) have just suddenly vanished from the schedule, plus the closing of the MAD base making available a suitable A320 and it is absolutely crazy that EZY are not redeploying the 6th based aircraft for the winter to BFS. Some people talk about it being too late for W12 but I reckon a couple of well placed advertisments (not to mention the trumpeting of the route announcment that you would get from the Airport) Look how quickly FR can move things around if need be and start routes within weeks, it can't be for loss or MOL wouldn't do it. Why don't EZY give it a punt. I for one reckon they would be pleasantly surprised.

BHD2BFS
17th Aug 2012, 13:31
I thought easy was to add 2 new routes from Belfast this year and that was before EI decided to move, have these plans been scrapped?

Husky One
18th Aug 2012, 00:07
BFS doesn't earn easyJet anywhere near as much as many of its European counterparts therefore they get the aircraft and BFS doesn't. Sure the OTP is good but all the bosses are interested in is ££. Over time more and more pressure will be placed on bases like BFS as the company shift more aircraft around to extract yield. Easyjet's aim is a casualised workforce that they can send wherever by like and lay off at the drop of a hat..just like Ryanair. When they achieve that then regional bases could end up practically summer-only.

SecondDog
18th Aug 2012, 19:26
BFS doesn't earn easyJet anywhere near as much as many of its European counterparts therefore they get the aircraft and BFS doesn't. Sure the OTP is good but all the bosses are interested in is ££. Over time more and more pressure will be placed on bases like BFS as the company shift more aircraft around to extract yield. Easyjet's aim is a casualised workforce that they can send wherever by like and lay off at the drop of a hat..just like Ryanair. When they achieve that then regional bases could end up practically summer-only.

Agreed it is all about the ££/$$ but surely there are political/economic/corner cutting reasons why those bases are currently more desirable, which are liable to change in the future. No current business plan is set in stone. Swings and roundabouts methinks and while we are an island nation, there will always be someone who will fly the routes.

Everyone's aim at the moment is a casualised workforce (excepting the mgmt types obviously, who live (and shed jobs) for their bonuses) I also predict that this will change again. Sure the legislation to protect temporary staff is already in place is it not? Eventually they will get bored of the hassle of high turnover/training etc

GAZMO
20th Aug 2012, 19:32
Agree EI BUD with some of your views, however as EZY stated they want to increase early morning flights from BFS to London. Yes I can see a 6.30 from Gatwick working and returning at 8.25, slots permitting but if they wish to cover other London airports it would be necessary to base another aircraft at BFS, even if it flies on to another destination after London.
SEN numbers look very good, from 8K in April to 13K+ in July, maybe a 6.50 to SEN, two hours before the next SEN flight and onwards to Europe might work.
Regarding AGP and ALC, I agree lower demand in winter time but EI operated 4XAGP and 3XALC so an additional flight to these destinations each week should not impact too much on their load and yield factors.
Have to admit I don't know it was sabre ratting by EZY announcing extra London flights as it is getting rather late to announce.......anybody any updates

EI-BUD
20th Aug 2012, 20:19
Regarding AGP and ALC, I agree lower demand in winter time but EI operated
4XAGP and 3XALC so an additional flight to these destinations each week should
not impact too much on their load and yield factors.

Thanks for the comment Gazmo,

I still think the increases will be from next summer and BFS management and EZY at one in terms of making sure a good story surrounds BFS business, as for both of them BHD is an ever pressing threat.

Aer Lingus did x2 to ALC last winter per week. The loads were ok but I dont feel that these routes much in the way of a return over the winter. Flew down a few times and loads were in the 90s on 320 and some coming back even lower.

I dont feel that easyJet or AerLingus for that matter make much if anything on winter flights to Spain/Portugal. Maybe the Canaries ok, but with such frequencies to AGP, ALC etc not much for anyone.

The schedule for ALC was very clever last winter and much more attractive than EZY so much so EZY have a similar one this Winter, ie late evening flights and good timing to cover a weekend! EI must have had an impact.

EI-BUD

BHD2BFS
20th Aug 2012, 23:08
I see numbers where up again last month, looks like this year is going to be one of the busiest years in recent ones, let's just hope easyjet numbers help counteract the lost of EI from October onwards

GAZMO
21st Aug 2012, 06:43
It will be interesting to see how many passengers stay with EI. Certainly on LHR there is no choice but to use BHD, but there will be a number of pax who will transfer to EZY (like me) who
Refer BFS
EZY have already announce BMX, 12 flights, MAN, 3 flights and EDN 3 flights and JET2 2 flights extra. With London still to be announced it may be status quo in terms of pax numbers
Any more rumours what BE are doing?

BHD2BFS
21st Aug 2012, 09:40
Well If virgin Atlantic has now got in on the domestic market to heathrow, they might be a possibility?
Someone said in here last month that virgin management had been at the airport

GAZMO
21st Aug 2012, 11:19
would be great to see VS at BFS, but from a recent chat with a member of EI cabin crew EI and VS are talking about codeshare for BHD. If this was the case cannot see them coming to Belfast

True Blue
21st Aug 2012, 23:23
I was just reading the Ezy press release on their site re the extra flights. It says they will take effect from the start of the winter timetable and mentions all four London airports. Since that statement was issued in June and we are only a little over two months to the start of the winter timetable, what has happened that they are not on sale? Have they changed their mind?

TB

GAZMO
22nd Aug 2012, 19:35
True Blue
Maybe you should email them and ask when the new early morning flights are going to be on their website

Anybody heard what EZY are going to do with the aircraft being withdrawn from MAD?

SecondDog
22nd Aug 2012, 22:32
Anybody heard what EZY are going to do with the aircraft being withdrawn from MAD?

Tried to find this out on the Easyjet thread but noone is entirely sure it would seem. There was talk of MAN getting some of them.

NWSRG
23rd Aug 2012, 19:36
Some nice machines in BFS this evening...

N-689WM (Global 5000)

M-EMCT (Cessna Citation)

G-KPEI (Cessna Citation XLS)

Anything to do with Tennants Vital?

redED
23rd Aug 2012, 19:43
Private jets...
Some nice machines in BFS this evening...

N-689WM (Global 5000)

M-EMCT (Cessna Citation)

G-KPEI (Cessna Citation XLS)

Anything to do with Tennants Vital?

Don't know about these but The Stone Roses flew out with flybe today. Apparently they were right w******.

eastern wiseguy
23rd Aug 2012, 20:58
Apparently they were right w******.

Stop it....Flybe are ok...:E

redED
23rd Aug 2012, 22:30
Ian Brown does have previous though:

Check out #4 (http://www.skyscanner.net/news/articles/2011/08/010383-top-10-most-badly-behaved-celebrities-on-flights.html)

BHD2BFS
23rd Aug 2012, 22:30
Any news of a new airline for next summer? BFS said they where trying to get a replacement for EI although they said the same about baby,
I just thought they would be trying to do everything to try and entice flybe up.
Maybe the rumour that virgin management was at BFS a few month ago isn't a complete rumour perhaps they where up looking at the possible LHR route??

CARNMANORLAD
23rd Aug 2012, 22:54
Can anyone advise which a/c TOM will use for SSH next year? I assume A321 which is not gonna be comfy for a near 6 hour flight.

david1994
24th Aug 2012, 00:02
Will be a B737-800 like the previous year.

j636
25th Aug 2012, 16:49
I see Jet 2 have added a second weekly TFS flight from first week in Feb 13 until the end of the winter schedule. Bookings must be going well?

BHD2BFS
25th Aug 2012, 17:14
I recon easyjet have waited too long to jump on the EI routes, maybe they have something else up their sleeve for next year ?

GAZMO
25th Aug 2012, 17:18
Probably will find they will add a second flight to lanzarote as well, maybe make it all year round.
Congrats to Jet2 hopefully a few more NEW destinations.....please

GAZMO
25th Aug 2012, 17:22
Agree BHD2BFS, but they did announce extra London flights.....when are they coming!!!!!!
EZY could also put extra flights to BRS. Monday and Tuesday next week already fully booked
Maybe for winter they will concentrate on domestic, SEN, STN, LGW, BRS and the BMX is a very big market.
Hopefully some new European routes next summer but agree it is getting very late to launch them now

eastern wiseguy
25th Aug 2012, 18:42
GAZMO.......it is BHX .....not BMX....:ugh:

GAZMO
25th Aug 2012, 19:28
Oops slip up on the keypad

GAZMO
29th Aug 2012, 16:24
Has anyone heard if EZY are putting their new early morning flights to London on their website soon

BFS BHD
29th Aug 2012, 16:29
Maybe Summer 13 Timetable ;)

BHD2BFS
29th Aug 2012, 17:25
Maybe they are waiting to see if flybe drop gatwick. Also did they not say they where going to increase GLW flights?

GAZMO
29th Aug 2012, 18:37
Press release via media was for MAN and EDN plus the four London airports
Cannot remember seeing GLW

eastern wiseguy
29th Aug 2012, 18:50
Cannot remember seeing GLW

Kentucky has never been served from Belfast GLA however......

redED
29th Aug 2012, 21:18
Kentucky has never been served from Belfast GLA however......

Nor EDN - Enterprise Municipal Airport, Enterprise, Alabama, United States

ILS25
29th Aug 2012, 22:28
So no new carriers announced (no real surprise), and with EI moving down the road soon it looks like it's going to be a very quiet winter at BFS.

BHD2BFS
29th Aug 2012, 22:35
Lets be honest did we really expect a new carrier? BFS is too scared of pissing EZY off, they gotta keep the big orange happy

GAZMO
30th Aug 2012, 08:33
More EZY aircraft for Manchester and Edinburgh (BBC News)......will BFS be next

ILS25
1st Sep 2012, 19:38
There was only one person in the vehicle who was not badly injured thank goodness. He may have to get a skin graft to an arm injury though.

SecondDog
1st Sep 2012, 19:40
Yeah, heard it was one of the new Bird Patrol vehicles. Glad the driver is largely okay.

Husky One
1st Sep 2012, 19:41
No more orange aircraft for BFS. The commercial geeks told the base this week that they weren't working hard enough and if they weren't careful they'd lose aircraft not gain them. A truly inspirational employer.. Charles Dickens taught them well...or was it perhaps O'Leary

SecondDog
1st Sep 2012, 19:48
Seriously? You mean EZY commercial told the Ezy Based staff or they made the point to the airport operator? I ask because the EZY based folk seem to be running a pretty good base there, and the Airport Management could do with a kick up the arse!

ILS25
1st Sep 2012, 19:53
Quote: and the Airport Management could do with a kick up the arse!

I don't agree with that.

The airport management need replaced with people who know how to run a airport.

EI-BUD
1st Sep 2012, 19:54
The commercial geeks told the base this week that they weren't working hard
enough and if they weren't careful they'd lose aircraft not gain them. A truly
inspirational employer.. Charles Dickens taught them well...or was it perhaps
O'Leary I find this really hard to believe. Carolyn was in the crew room for 1st wave of departures on Thursday. She has commented each week for weeks through the summer that BFS was in the top performing bases for OTP and running a tight base operationally.

It will be nothing to do with how hard the base works, but in stead the competitive environment. Easyjet will watch to see what effect the AerLingus euro routes have and any other rumoured developements may have on easyJet routes.

EI-BUD

tigger2k8
1st Sep 2012, 20:49
ILS25, what happened? From the post it doesnt really explain much unless one has been deleted?

Thanks

ILS25
1st Sep 2012, 21:00
Looks like a post has been deleted, don't know why.

Not sure of the circumstances behind the accident but I was told that a bird patrol vehicle overturned at the 25 threshold area. That's all I know about the accident, but I do know that it's not the first time that this has happened.

KNT544
1st Sep 2012, 21:05
No more orange aircraft for BFS. The commercial geeks told the base this week that they weren't working hard enough and if they weren't careful they'd lose aircraft not gain them.

It must be a different meeting to one I heard about.

Husky One
1st Sep 2012, 23:37
Otp might be fine, BFS might run like clockwork but the message was '2nd least productive base in UK' that's commercial code for 'we can make more beans elsewhere' Crews fly less hours in BFS than places like LGW however they fly more sectors and therefore provide easily as much in terms of overall value. Unfortunately those that count beans are obsessed with crew productivity in terms of flying hours not duty hours and money in terms of 'return on capital employed' - which is fundamentally flawed and may ultimately lead wholesale shipping of aircraft around the network on a regular basis..along with the crews. More to do with director bonuses than securing ongoing viability but then nobody is likely to be surprised by that. Not the first time a director has been in one room telling a happy story while the back room brigade were telling another next door.

PPRuNeUser0176
2nd Sep 2012, 00:13
'2nd least productive base in UK'

any idea who is top of the list, my guess would be Stansted?

Mlinnie
2nd Sep 2012, 14:33
Sorry to change the subject but have Thomas Cook dropped Fuerteventura this winter ? It isn't appearing on their website :confused:

IrishFlyer2013
2nd Sep 2012, 14:43
Yes they have dropped BFS-Fuerteventura. TCX are adding a third weekly flight to TFS. BFS-ALC is also finishing at the end of the summer timetable.

TCX will operate the following routes from BFS this winter:

ACE-weekly (Twice weekly during November)
LPA-weekly
TFS-3 weekly
Lleida Alguaire- (From the 23rd of December)
Enfidha- (From 24 February 2013)

Antalya & Dalaman return at the end of March 2013. Just in time for the Easter Holidays.

TCX have also added a second weekly flight to Palma for next summer. They were suppose to operate a weekly flight. But BFS-PMI is back to twice weekly like this summer. It will operate on a W leg with GLA. The GLA aircraft operates GLA-PMI-BFS-PMI-GLA. This flight will be operated by a B757-300. :ok:

Mlinnie
2nd Sep 2012, 18:27
Ok thanks for that info :ok: shame about Fuerteventura I thought it done very well last winter :ugh:

CabinCrewe
2nd Sep 2012, 21:53
Not sure the 753's are anything to get excited about- they are dogs.

AP1995
2nd Sep 2012, 21:57
Dont the 757-300 operate from LGW in summer?

Skipness One Echo
2nd Sep 2012, 22:35
The B757-300s are Glasgow based but swap to Gatwick for the English school holiday peak I think before returning North.

Carryduff Flyer
4th Sep 2012, 07:25
Does anyone have any updates on whether anyone will be taking over the EI BFS to Canary Island routes for Summer 2013 (especially interested in ACE)?

IrishFlyer2013
4th Sep 2012, 20:33
Jet2.Com are operating Belfast Intl to Salzburg this winter for Direct Ski.

LS2151 Dep BFS 08:55 Arr SZG 12:35
LS2152 Dep SZG 13:15 Arr BFS 14:55

Mlinnie
4th Sep 2012, 20:36
What about Jet2 to Plovdiv ? And Easyjet to Verona and Bresica ? Are they operating this year ?

IrishFlyer2013
4th Sep 2012, 20:38
Yes Jet2 are operating Belfast - Plovdiv this year for Balkhan Tours. The flights to PDV resume on the 23rd of December.

AIRPORT66
4th Sep 2012, 22:04
Is this flight an all winter season flight or just a one off?

Keyvon
4th Sep 2012, 22:19
These Jet2 services to Salzburg and Plovdiv are weekly charter flights, starting by the end of December operating normally through the end of March/begining of April.

Seems like both Topflight and Direct Ski have pulled their Italian ski resorts based on Verona/Brescia charter rotations, as a result these destinations are unlikely to make a return. They are instead booking their customers onto scheduled flights to Linate (Aer Lingus) or charter flights to Innsbruck (Austria).

True Blue
4th Sep 2012, 22:52
I see Ezy has added allocated seating to flights ex Bfs to at least Brs, and all Lon excluding Lgw. I was checking Mar 13, not sure when it starts from.

TB

ILS25
4th Sep 2012, 22:57
I see they are doing an express security lane now at BFS, I don't know the cost though. They also have a full body scanner installed in central search, saw it in use when I was going through the other morning. Must be for the newark passengers.

KNT544
4th Sep 2012, 22:59
Must take a nosey up there ILS25. I tend to avoid going upstairs unless I really have to.

True Blue
4th Sep 2012, 23:05
express security £3.00

TB

KNT544
4th Sep 2012, 23:09
I see Ezy has added allocated seating to flights ex Bfs to at least BrsBFS-GLA will be allocated by then too.

tigger2k8
5th Sep 2012, 07:18
Body scanner is to be brought in for all PAX regardless of destination, although selected at random this week

BHD2BFS
5th Sep 2012, 20:23
What's the chances we will see EI back at BFS, is this move for the long term or possible just a stunt like EZY to try and scare management?

True Blue
5th Sep 2012, 21:02
Yes what does EI do when charges at BHD are back to 100%?

TB

tigger2k8
6th Sep 2012, 14:13
They will pull out of NI before they go back to BFS, that is my belief anyway

Straightahead
6th Sep 2012, 21:15
Tigger you may have hit the nail on the head an easy way to pull the plug on Norn Ireland.To go from a profit making base to one that will loose a fortune does not make much sense,but then does anything in the aviation business make sense nowadays!!!

GAZMO
7th Sep 2012, 07:21
EZY have put flights on web for early summer 2013, Nice, Faro and Barcelona
No increase in frequency. Nice and BCN 3/4 pw and FAO up to 9pw

GAZMO
7th Sep 2012, 19:31
Looks like extra EZY flight to Luton on a Friday for summer 13

IrishFlyer2013
8th Sep 2012, 10:31
BFS-PMI is also up to 9PW.

eastern wiseguy
8th Sep 2012, 10:42
They will pull out of NI before they go back to BFS,

Tigger...I agree. My own feeling is they thought BAW would quietly withdraw from the LHR route and allow them a free run. Willie obviously thought differently.

They MAY have to re program each and every aircraft to be able to operate the sun routes. Apparently the performance off a wet runway(never rains here does it?:E) will not allow a full load.

Shades of RYR anyone?

Let's wait and see.......remember the curse of BHD......;)

david1994
8th Sep 2012, 19:25
Servisair lost the UAL contract to Menzies during the week

SecondDog
9th Sep 2012, 09:39
United? didn't realise it was up for grabs again so soon. When is the takeover date?

KNT544
9th Sep 2012, 09:59
Word on the apron is November.

SecondDog
9th Sep 2012, 10:14
Bit quick for the training that United require no? are they going to reemploy some of the servisair staff?

KNT544
9th Sep 2012, 10:23
Not a clue but one would imagine so.

BHD2BFS
9th Sep 2012, 10:38
Servisair can't have too many contracts up there anymore

SecondDog
9th Sep 2012, 10:49
Jet2/TCX/UPS/TNT/Royal Mail(Titan&Jet2) most of the summer & winter Charters + they are the Airport's ad-hoc diversion handler

SecondDog
9th Sep 2012, 10:51
And Swiftair (for FedEx)

irishlad06
9th Sep 2012, 10:54
they also have the TOM contract, big surprise though with menzies getting the UA contract, must just be cheaper.

GAZMO
9th Sep 2012, 11:24
Does anyone know where you can purchase these tickets from, is it the airport or via airlines

tigger2k8
9th Sep 2012, 13:13
Plenty of time to train staff, I believe that under the United contract staff have to be offered a transfer, similar to TUPE, however as its not 50% of servisairs business I think it's slightly different as in they could offer lower hours than the staff would currently be on. I may be wrong, so do not quote. Hopefully not too many will be impacted by this

Irishlad06, I wouldn't say being cheaper is the main reason, but airlines are finding Menzies safety stands a very attractive prospect when awarding contracts.

I believe tickets are bought round the area that you get the boarding card scanned

SecondDog
9th Sep 2012, 20:36
Express tickets can also be bought in the checkin hall, where the baggage weight check machine is.

Aaron9890
9th Sep 2012, 21:40
Just in case anyone asks, a Luxair flight coming in tomorrow is bringing the Luxembourg football team for the match against Northern Ireland at Windsor on Tuesday.

PPRuNeUser0176
11th Sep 2012, 23:18
Just saw this on the Jet 2 fourm.

This also fits with an extra passenger 737 at Belfast next year, perhaps a few city routes might be announced? Hint!

If true its possitive news for BFS and NI as a whole.

richardnei
12th Sep 2012, 11:51
Could be very possible for 2013. Philip Meeson and other top management were over talking to BIA management a few weeks ago.

GAZMO
12th Sep 2012, 17:55
From BHD thread extra EL flights to LGW on Mon, Fri, Sun

EZY would need to get their additional flights to London on web soon

eastern wiseguy
12th Sep 2012, 18:10
GAZMO...please try to get your airline designators correct. EI or EIN but certainly NOT EL.which is AIR NIPPON!

Moreover your post has NAFF all to do with BFS.

Thank you:ok:

j636
12th Sep 2012, 20:19
From BHD thread extra EL flights to LGW on Mon, Fri, Sun

EZY would need to get their additional flights to London on web soon

Its an extra flight everyday except Saturday.

BHD2BFS
12th Sep 2012, 21:22
It's all good and well having these meetings but we had one about 9 months ago and the airlines managed to convince the government to lower APD with promises about expanding other markets.... 9 months on and we've got nothing

EI-BUD
13th Sep 2012, 17:34
what are the chances of Jet2 launching East Midlands to Belfast International?

If Mr. Doran is correct that new routes to GB and Europe to be launched soon, I cant see what other GB route is likely unless BE have some of theirs coming which looks doubtful at this stage.

True Blue
13th Sep 2012, 17:40
I wonder if Bfs has ever offered Flybe and Ba really mouth watering deals that would really put pressure on Bhd? They almost certainly could as Bhd would have to match/exceed such an offer, putting Bhd in a really poor position. Long term, there is a real danger to the tatics used by Bhd, they could find themselves earning almost no money at all from airline fees.

TB

eastern wiseguy
13th Sep 2012, 18:44
there is a real danger to the tatics used by Bhd, they could find themselves earning almost no money at all from airline fees

Who knows? They might be already there?

sarcon
14th Sep 2012, 06:05
Depends who you ask, Mr A, or someone who'll tell you the truth. A number of the airlines are paying very little, and not all are paying the same. City is almost £200m in debt and can never hope to recover that situation. There has been talk about selling it recently and Mr A has, on two occasions, suggested it is worth about £200m. With an EDITDA of circa £2m they would need some rich idiot or a Dutch bank to pay that amount for it. A standard multiple for an acquisition would generally be 10 - 15 times EBITDA. Good luck to them.

Mlinnie
14th Sep 2012, 15:24
We need an East Midlands route back hopefully something will be announced by Jet2 soon ! Also what about Cardiff ?? Bmi Baby operated it before their move to City, wold Easyjet or jet2 ever consider it ?

SecondDog
14th Sep 2012, 15:49
I think Cardiff is a bit of a dud tbh, Bristol covers any demand to go there I think.

GAZMO
14th Sep 2012, 17:14
I can Jet2being successful on EMA route but Cardiff has been reducing month by month

danidi
16th Sep 2012, 10:37
25 minutes waiting to get through passport control yesterday afternoon, with a queue stretching back as far as the eye could see at that stage....couple that with the grubby carpet.
What a welcome to NI from BFS.

BHD2BFS
16th Sep 2012, 14:08
Looks like another month of passenger growth at BFS which is good news. Looks like EZYs commitment to regional flights has paid off. Hopefully the loss of EI won't effect numbers too much.
Also see on the SEN page that BFS load factors we over 80% last month
Has EZYs S2013 time tables been launched yet?
Any more rumours on new routes/airlines for next year?