PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

GAZMO
27th Nov 2012, 19:51
Notice two TCX flights departing BFS and arriving BFS tomorrow. Can anyone shed light on these?

tigger2k8
27th Nov 2012, 20:40
Possible training flights? EI performed a few of them last year on Saturday in the winter as far as i can remember.

BHD2BFS
27th Nov 2012, 20:45
Possible school flights like BE do out of BHD?

richardnei
27th Nov 2012, 21:13
Both are Searching for Santa charity flights for kids. They usually last about 45mins.

GAZMO
29th Nov 2012, 09:30
Interesting read on the arrivals board at BFS

EI 0021 London Gatwick 10:15 10:14 ARRIVED

Wonder what happened?

BHD showing 10.45 arrival

BHD now shows

London Gatwick EI21 10:15 Landed 11:20

allanmac
29th Nov 2012, 11:25
EI21 diverted to BFS due to low viz at BHD then repositioned back to BHD when viz improved - simples!

tigger2k8
29th Nov 2012, 15:07
Fog at BHD, quick stop in BFS to refuel and await the fog to lift.

GAZMO
1st Dec 2012, 18:02
Notice a BE flight tomorrow to Cardiff? Is this a one off

left rudder
1st Dec 2012, 18:39
Ulster v Scarlets

BFS BHD
9th Dec 2012, 19:06
Not much going on here!

Anyone no what the loads was like on todays TCX trip to Lapland?

&

Any word/rumours on new routes for S13?

BFS BHD

ILS25
9th Dec 2012, 21:07
Nothing new, the place is like a graveyard at times. Any rumours seemed to have died a death.

BFS BHD
9th Dec 2012, 21:18
I see some days its only EZYs flights and 1 LS flight all day! Not very good.

ILS25
9th Dec 2012, 21:46
Things aren't good at all. It's their 50th birthday in 2013, would be nice to hear some good news. Doubt it though.

BHD2BFS
9th Dec 2012, 22:13
I think BFS need new owners who can/ want to invest money in the place to make it a proper intl airport

Zag23
9th Dec 2012, 22:34
An-124 due in tomorrow with fresh supply of flags:)

GAZMO
10th Dec 2012, 08:42
With APD reduced to zero I thought there may be some movement on more Trans atlantic routes, esp Canada. Are they having an early Xmas vacation at BFS?

GAZMO
10th Dec 2012, 10:00
.............and just as we thought all was quiet, EZY announces extra Sunday flight to BHX..............disappointed with such praise about BHX being so good I thought they would have gone three times daily on M, Th and Fri

BHD2BFS
10th Dec 2012, 11:28
Over the last few weeks when I have been flying to BHX with flybe they have been using a dash, but I used to always fly in the E jets. Are ezy starting to make their mark?

GAZMO
10th Dec 2012, 12:17
Judging by the quoted figure of 14K on BFS website, probably 10/11K for the calender month it has been a good start for EZY to BHX. Need to go up to 3 X daily for summer 13

mart901
10th Dec 2012, 13:06
It seems to me EZY are going in softly on BHX, rather than loosing too much. BHX-BFS hasn't been more than 2 daily for a long time, both WW and myTravellite ran 2 daily. BE were still in growth in Oct on last year, which given no WW on the route is an achievement, historically they have varied a/c between prop and jet, it was since WW pulled out they went all jet.

GAZMO
10th Dec 2012, 13:19
If MAN is anything to go by, it also started twice daily, now 3X on certain days. I believe BHX will probably be same very soon.
Anybody worked out if EZY are withdrawing a flight from somewhere else on the Sunday to reallocate to BHX?

Mlinnie
10th Dec 2012, 15:13
Well at least EZY are staying committed to BFS by increasing the frequency on BHX and LGW later this month.
But on the other hand, is there absolutely no rumors at all about new routed for S13 ? Yes Reus and Sharm El Sheikh are nice, but... Anything different ? Like long haul or European cities ?

GAZMO
10th Dec 2012, 16:17
EZY started their extra 10.15 weekday flight today

BFS BHD
13th Dec 2012, 14:53
Jet2 Now have Alicante on sale until April 2013.

Which mean next winter (2013) they will have Alicante flights as this Winter (2012) there isnt a flight to Alicante.

W12: 0 flights
W13: 1/2 flights

Hopefully see some more flights for W13 as this W12 isnt very busy for LS!

GAZMO
15th Dec 2012, 13:39
With EI not operating Alicante anymore I thought it would have been a great opportunity for LS to add extra flight during the summer 13. Likewise LS to Lanzarote weekly in summer 13 surely is feasible

Anybody heard any further rumours on new flights, it's getting late especially if airlines want a long lead in time

EI-A330-300
17th Dec 2012, 16:06
Based on 2 daily flights Mon-Fri and One on Sat and Sun. It shows a LF of 61.5%. Not bad for a new route. Only had a slight impact on BHD-BHX.

GAZMO
17th Dec 2012, 17:58
If I can remember last year when MAN started it was similar figures although MAN had 14 flights a week compared to BHX 12 flights, so yes a good start for BHX.
MAN now 16K so looking good
Can EZY cover any other new domestic routes?

BHD2BFS
17th Dec 2012, 18:13
Cardiff? Eastmids?

GAZMO
17th Dec 2012, 18:40
CWL figures not too good, although November figures on the up. Probably due to the fact that Ulster rugby had away matches in South Wales

Agree EMA, but EZY or LS?

EI-BUD
17th Dec 2012, 18:45
Both Belfast Airport to Manchester performed well and EZY had best month to date by far! EZY have a sizeable and growing share of the market. Though BEs BHD LPL route being withdrawn previously probably helping their own MAN route ex BHD.

BHX EZY got off to a good start, media reports said that the route did a lot better for the first month than it actually did. I think the media meant number of bookings in first month rather than number of passengers carried. However, EMA is down, could be that pax who want to fly to EMA who have used BHD to date, now find BFS BHX a good alternative, ie people living nearer BFS etc.

London Capacity hasnt actually grown massively over last year what with Flybe reduction in schedule, bmi baby absence, reduction by EZY on LTN and STN as well as BA not flying their promised 7 daily on some days...

I would suggest EI and BE are not having a pleasant time on LGW route, its the mid week TUE WED flights that suffer the most. EI got off to a good start on a new route.

Encouraing that some flights have been well subscribed hence indicates that awareness of EI on the route is strong. EI will sit for the long haul being aware of BE's challenges overall.

EI-BUD

GAZMO
17th Dec 2012, 18:54
I think the 14K figure quoted in press release included from when they started with the daily flight in third week of October to end of November

OltonPete
17th Dec 2012, 19:28
BHX-BFS

It has given me food for thought, as I would have guessed at around 65-70&, as more the figure based on a few rumours & information received.

I think I started monitoring the seat-maps in late November and it has been rare to see less than 61% of the seats taken. However if certain seats are blocked off then it is not an accurate way of estimating loads.

I suppose it will take a few months to get a better picture ,however some Thursday, Friday and Sunday outbounds in early December have gone off sale a few days before departure, which you would expect of course and it will be interesting to see how December ends up.

flybe only lost 2500 on BHD-BHX but stunned at the EMA figures.

Pete

GAZMO
17th Dec 2012, 19:32
Yes big drop on EMA. Certainly an opportunity for EZY to increase frequency on BHX for start of summer 13

OltonPete
17th Dec 2012, 20:36
Just looking at the figures and I have noted them as 10756.

Divided by 104 flights = 103 pax per flight on a 156 seat aircraft = 66.2968%

22 week days and 8 weekend days makes up the 30 days. Therefore 22 x 4 sectors making 88 movements in the week and 8 x 2 sectors at the weekend, which equals 16 - grand total 104.

More like what I expected and a reasonable first full month even if way below easyjets average load factor.

The East Mids average pax actually is not that bad of load factor around 70-75%

Pete

mart901
17th Dec 2012, 22:05
BE have remained consistently strong on BHX-BHD through all sorts of competition, low cost and otherwise and have maintained high frequency. It seems to me EZY have hit EMA figures more than BHX. Also noticeable that whilst EZY continue to grow into MAN, so also do BE, BE also have done well on LBA, it seems what LS have lost BE have gained.

Mlinnie
18th Dec 2012, 14:52
Come to think of it how are LS doing on LBA ?

I know that they restarted their morning Monday flight and evening Friday flight so maybe that's a good sign ?

GAZMO
18th Dec 2012, 15:02
Figures not too good for LBA. If they are going to offer the double daily LBA then they should be looking at connections via LBA for the NI pax rather than just the Yorkshire market. If they are not careful it could end up similar to Blackpool, a few weekly flights.

Would through flights work?

GAZMO
20th Dec 2012, 18:40
Great readings other airport threads and seeing new routes being launched but still silence at BFS

EI-BUD
20th Dec 2012, 20:14
Does anybody know exactly what Airbus TCX will use to Lleida from Sunday 30th on 6am flight, will be A320 or A321?

Ta,

EI-BUD

BFS BHD
20th Dec 2012, 20:42
GAZMO;
Yep there hasn't been anything from BFS yet so will likely be bad year for BFS if they dont get any Airlines soon!

EI-BUD;

I would say they will use their based A320 for the flight.

GAZMO
20th Dec 2012, 21:01
BFS BHD

Have to agree with only three months to the start of the summer schedule I thought things would be moving prior to Xmas
Toronto or other Canadian /USA destinations?
BHX can certainly go three times daily?
Thought that EZY would up LGW and the bucket and spade routes to FAO/ AGP?
LS have opportunity to expand canaries and look at EMA?
Since DUB can up flights with Emirates and Eithad surely BFS can offer three weeklyflights to Middle East?

Torque2
20th Dec 2012, 22:05
EI it will be a 320 to Leida on 30th.

BFS BHD
27th Dec 2012, 16:15
Due in from Lanzarote at 18:05 and Just seen it take off from Faro did it have an emergency or what ?

EI-A330-300
27th Dec 2012, 16:28
Fuel is scarse at ACE all the time. Many airlines excep for Ryaniar (couldn't guess why of course) stop to pick fuel on the way. It can be a weekly problem with EI ACE-DUB flights during the summer and its almost certain if they have A321 on the route.

tigger2k8
27th Dec 2012, 18:43
Heavy load and/or headwind can also result in a stop in FAO for fuel.. happened to EI on BFS-ACE/LPA/TFS also

Mlinnie
29th Dec 2012, 12:15
Has LS reduced the frequency on Geneva this winter ??

Also is there any chance we'll see LS launching say... Gran Canaria or
Malaga ??

Andrew R
30th Dec 2012, 15:38
Hi there,

I was wondering how many gates are there at Belfast International? How many stands? I'm doing a project to redesign the entire airport with a new build and just wondering as the satellite photos aren't too great.

Many thanks

KNT544
30th Dec 2012, 15:51
Domestic cuk de sac

Stands 9 10 11 remote
Stands 12-15 fwd facing and serviced by gates 10 11 and 14

Stands 16-18 are serviced by gates 16 17 and 18/19 respectively. 18 is just a stairwell and corridor.

Lounge 20 is not used.

International pier

Stand 21 gate 21
Stand 22 gate 22 / airbridge
Stand 23 no longer used.
Stand 24 -29 gate 22-29 respectively.

Stands can be doubled up - seen 22n 22s 25w and others when the need exists.

BFS BHD
30th Dec 2012, 16:41
And 6 cargo stands 1F-6F.

tigger2k8
30th Dec 2012, 17:47
Since the departure of EI, stand 16 is now also boarded through gate 14 quite often

SecondDog
31st Dec 2012, 15:28
Hi there,

I was wondering how many gates are there at Belfast International? How many stands? I'm doing a project to redesign the entire airport with a new build and just wondering as the satellite photos aren't too great.

Many thanks

Really? pointless exercise given the cost but since you want a full picture, in addition to the others' comments:

There are also some overlaying widebody stands:

16A covers 16/17
25A covers 25/26
27A covers 26/27
29A covers 29

4F is not used as it is too small to be of any use.

Who is the project for?

Mlinnie
1st Jan 2013, 11:54
End of APD (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/1/212/end-of-apd-%E2%80%98step-in-the-right-direction%E2%80%99.html)

Hopefully get a Toronto and Orlando route back !
Maybe even a middle eastern route (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha)
More charters to the Caribbean with TCX and TOM
UA could remain daily all year round on EWR

SHORT HAUL:
EZY could launch Lisbon, Milan, Rome, Berlin, Madrid. And up frequency on Amsterdam, Birmingham, Manchester and all the sun routes.
LS could increase frequency on the Canaries and launch routes like Gran Canaria, Malaga and Eastern Mediterranean routes.
More Eastern Mediterranean charters with TCX and TOM
Maybe get Monarch back to launch a couple of routes ?

BFS BHD
1st Jan 2013, 17:15
To mark the occasion, the airport has put together a spectacular schedule of events including, amongst other things, charity fund-raising activities and a photographic exhibition looking back over five decades, with the full programme of activity to be released over the course of the year.

Belfast International Airport Managing Director, John Doran, said 2013 represents a milestone for the facility that started life as a civil airport in October 1963. On that occasion, HRH Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother officially opened the new terminal on the extensive site at Aldergrove.

Mr Doran said: “Throughout its fifty-year history, Aldergrove, now Belfast International Airport, has played a central role in the economic and social life of Northern Ireland.

More at: Airport unveils Big Plans to mark Golden Anniversary - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/8/213/airport-unveils-big-plans-to-mark-golden-anniversary.html)

scodaman
1st Jan 2013, 21:34
Interesting article based at mainland UK users.

Why it's now cheaper to fly to New York from Northern Ireland

Why it's now cheaper to fly to New York from Northern Ireland (http://www.lovemoney.com/news/travel-food-and-lifestyle/travel/18786/apd-cheapest-flight-to-new-york-from-belfast?source=1000550)

SeanBelfast
2nd Jan 2013, 08:42
"From quite humble beginnings, we now operate to around eighty domestic and international destinations with over 200 flights a day on average."

Hmm, 80 destinations?

cuthere
2nd Jan 2013, 09:32
Whoever wrote:

with over 200 flights a day on average

obviously has access to different stats than the CAA. The average daily movements for November was 93, whilst even a peak month like July didn't see 200 movements a day (that was closer to 180-odd). With the departure of EI, 200 movements a day would appear to be a long way off.

As an aside. I flew from BFS-BRS-BFS just before Christmas, and on returning thought I'd left Bristol in 2012 and arrived in Aldergrove in 1973. Can they not do something about the dated corridors, worn carpet and dingy arrivals hall? It's supposed to be the main air entry point into NI, but feels more like arriving into the foyer of an uncared for Torquay hotel.

Even the departure gates with the dated destination signs they hang up would remind one of travelling several decades ago.

One last moan. On arriving back into BFS on Sunday 23rd at around 3.45pm, I noted there were only two other passenger aircraft on the apron. Yet it still took the best part of 15 minutes for the steps to appear. Had the arrival of the flight taken the ground staff by surprise?

I quickly remembered why I use LDY and BHD preferentially over BFS. Sorry state of affairs really.

tigger2k8
2nd Jan 2013, 22:32
They will have included all GA, Army and cargo flights ( in and out) on that figure of 200... On the busiest day then rounded up to 200 as it sounds better

SeanBelfast
4th Jan 2013, 21:07
Don't forget the PSNI. The Eurocopters with most flying hours worldwide. Bound to get that stat close to 200! :}

panpanpanpan
4th Jan 2013, 23:20
200 flights and 80 destinations!?!?!?!? :suspect::suspect:

What muppet in their propaganda dept thought that one up?

I wonder what the difference in flight numbers is between the 2 airports bearing in mind City is only operational between 0700-2200, does anyone have the figures available for that?

left rudder
5th Jan 2013, 10:04
Hope the APD removal does create a differential but the cynic in me sees the carrier diluting the benefit by syphoning off a % for "administrative" reasons.

EI-BUD
5th Jan 2013, 10:10
left rudder,

I dont see the removal of the APD on t/a service to be of much benefit, given that the pool of seats is so small anyway, these is a basic level of demand that exists whether the APD is there or not, when this demand is satisfied there is a small amount of seats that show a negligable amount of price reduction and lets assume that a lot of price minded customers will compare with Dublin where the market, frequency, competition and choice of t/a destinations is grown, in which case DUB will be very competitive.

However, if they can use this to grow frequency, attract a long talked about Toronto or Orlando this would be a real plus. At this stage of the game the doubting Thomas in me thinks that if Toronto has not been looked at by this stage and talk of an AC low cost option through Dublin materialises there is little hope of it happening anytime soon.

EI-BUD

dog in park
5th Jan 2013, 16:15
Airport at Aldergrove marks golden jubilee in style with series of events - Business News, Business - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/airport-at-aldergrove-marks-golden-jubilee-in-style-with-series-of-events-16257028.html#idc-container)

True Blue
5th Jan 2013, 18:19
Isn't it remarkable how it still handles twice as many as Bhd? Wonder how many of those who are so vocal at criticising it use it? Can't keep away, can they!

TB

dog in park
5th Jan 2013, 18:33
Maybe because of the seats for sale and do not forget who was one if the two that objected to the lifting of it.

tigger2k8
7th Jan 2013, 11:19
White Mountain has got the contract to resurface the runway, between March - May, all done at night.

Local firm wins runway contract - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/news/1/216/local-firm-wins-runway-contract.html)

Another_Dude
7th Jan 2013, 14:40
Would there be any performance issues for cargo aircraft operating on 35/17 while they do this work?

tigger2k8
7th Jan 2013, 15:27
As far as im aware, unless things have changed, the Maersk, DHL and TNT aircraft should all depart by 2200, anything after that is normally 737 or smaller

Mlinnie
8th Jan 2013, 15:18
Belfast International Airport Managing Director, John Doran, said: “In this our 50th anniversary year, this investment is a clear statement of our commitment to the local economy and the people who use our airport.

“This is one of a significant number of announcements that we intend to make during 2013 – all of them positive, forward-looking and with confidence as their common theme. We have a lot to celebrate, and we intend putting down a big marker that we are a pivotal partner in this wider community.

So what other big announcements will there be in 2013 ?

Easyjet, Thomas Cook, Thosmon and LS expansion?
Virgin Atlantic, Air Transat, Emirates or Etihad ?
Maybe Monarch setting up a base or BA returning ?
Surely they'll do a major refurbishment of the terminal building
Possibly a new rail connection to belfast or Antrim ?

Zag23
8th Jan 2013, 16:37
£37.5 BILLION extra to be spent on rail network in England announced today. Why does NIR not apply for extra funds to open up rail link to BFS? Translink could pay for the track etc and BFS pay for the station. Of course at the moment, our pathetic politicians are more interested in flegs than bringing our transport system into the 21st century.:D

frequentflyer2
8th Jan 2013, 19:29
There had better be something. Tomorrow (Wednesday) a total of 14 passenger flights will depart BFS between 6.15 and 14.20 offering 2184 seats, all domestic. In the same time period 22 flights will depart BHD offering 2278 seats in total. Again all are domestic, although the service to Exeter extends on to CDG. These flights include the all important Heathrow services which allow passengers to transfer on to international departures. Given the difference in terminal sizes, I would say this situation has the potential to be disasterous for BFS. I've assumed BA and EI are using A319's on their flights, with Embraer 195's to Manchester and Birmingham, Let 410's to the Isle of Man and Dash 8 400's everywhere else.

EI-BUD
8th Jan 2013, 19:48
Virgin Atlantic, Air Transat, Emirates or Etihad ?

Mlinnie,

I think that given the tie up between Aer Lingus and Virgin on domestic flights, this would have a huge bearing on

1. whether Virgin would wish to compete with EI on LHR BFS and given the link between EI and VS, it would make better sense of codeshare and feed pax from BHD through LHR on EI

2. In the unlikely event that VS did enter the market it would have to be EI serviced, and therefore cannot see it being to BFS

As regards VS, the summer must hold demand and profitable demand for flights to Orlando or Toronto, and now that VS have 330, this could work. though they were in talking before, widely commented on but a bit late for 2013, maybe 2014. Who knows...

cuthere
8th Jan 2013, 20:33
Folks, if the current, very public displays of malcontent about the flying or otherwise of flags continue at the same level as we've seen during the last week or so, then the number of inbound pax, not just to BFS, but also BHD and LDY could be seriously compromised.

I'm just back from England, and major news there, usurping stories about the US economy and even Afghanistan. Negative international news also, if the cover of The Gulf News and Das Spiegel are anything to go by. Major hits to pax levels can be expected.

BFS BHD
9th Jan 2013, 14:32
Just had a look on BFS Wikipedia Site and looks like someone as put the following routes for Thomson Airways as all year routes:

Gran Canaria
Lanzarote
Malaga
Tenerife
Anyone know if TOM is coming to BFS all year round or is someone messing around with Wikipedia. :confused: :confused:

Could well be one of the 'Big Announcements' they are going to make!! :O

BFS BHD

Mlinnie
9th Jan 2013, 21:16
Would hope that they'd stay year round :ok:

Also if they do I don't see why SSH wouldn't work... It's still very warm in the winter !

But maybe that bit on Wikipedia go mean something else. Do Thomson do holidays on behalf of say Jet2 or Easyjet for the winter months ?

Would also appear that Jet2 are continuing ALC through next winter thouh it think that was previously mentioned on this page. Would be great if they kept Lanzarote year round too ! And maybe put a 757 on the canary routes ?

Dee747
10th Jan 2013, 12:12
Maybe I'm getting too long in the tooth for all this "excitement" over spurious entries on Wiki about bucket and spade flights. And whether a 757 or an A320 does a route is simply not important to me.

I'd be much more interested in flights being secured to other destinations in Europe. Frankfurt or Dusseldorf, Berlin, Madrid, Rome for starters. Some of these have already been tried by the LCCs, with mixed success, and duly dropped. Is the time now right for a carrier using smaller equipment (say E170/E190 series) to make these thinner routes work? Two or three days a week to all of the above would greatly open our trading opportunities, both inbound and outbound. All of the above would also allow hub connections to be made away from the traditional Heathrow/Gatwick options for those looking for long haul flights.

What I don't believe we can sustain is a middle east flight, not with Emirates and Etihad currently serving Dublin a hundred odd miles away. I also believe we could sustain a weekly or hopefully twice weekly service to Toronto to supplement our only other scheduled trans-Atlantic service to Newark.

I wonder will any of the above happen during the "momentous" 50th anniversary year of BFS? :confused:

FRatSTN
10th Jan 2013, 13:46
The problem in Belfast is that virtually every airline would choose BHD, primarily for it's proximety to Belfast city centre but it cannot cater for such expansion. As an airport with lower operating costs that is more ideally located, why would anybody really want to choose or prefer BFS over BHD?

I guarantee that flag-carriers from overseas like Lufthansa, KLM, Air France etc. who serve comparable cities like Glasgow and Edinburgh would like to serve Belfast but want BHD as their airport but because it would struggle to cater for such carriers, they just ignore this market and look elsewhere which is more profitable.

Airlines don't think "oh we can't use BHD so we'll go to BFS instead" they are more likely to think "we can't use BHD and as BFS is not right for our business model, where else can we look at?".

It's an even more complex issue becuase you can't really close one of them. I know it's been suggested but BFS can't close because it is the only one that can handle anything bigger than an A320 but closing BHD would probably anger more people. I'd say adopt a similar model that Glasgow has. Extend the runway, terminal and apron at BHD and make that the main airport (like GLA) and then make BFS the secondary one (like PIK)but I know many will be against me on that.

Mlinnie
10th Jan 2013, 14:55
I think more people would prefer BFS to BHD if there was better accessibility to it ! More buses, upgraded roads and a rail link to Antrim/Belfast. When you land in BFS it feels like your landing in the middle of nowhere

But at the end of the day people will still be angry no matter what airport you close...

FRatSTN
10th Jan 2013, 15:20
I don't think any airport should be closed.

Just like the Glasgow model, Belfast-City should be developed into the main airport. Extend runway to 2,300m ish and build a new terminal (even alongside existing one is feasible). No matter what people say, there IS enough space to do it all. It should get all the airlines like FlyBe, Aer Lingus, BA, Jet2, Thomson, Thomas Cook, EasyJet, Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, United and maybe a few other longer haul eg, Air Transat or Emirates (A330). Yes you'd get everybody in Belfast complaining of noise but much more importantly, passengers could get to Belfast in minutes by road and rail and it would massively help Northern Ireland economy and put its airport system at a way better advantage than Glasgow and Edinburgh for instance.

Aldergrove airport should become the smaller secondary and lower cost airport with airlines like Ryanair and Wizzair and all of Northern Ireland cargo movements, very much like the role Prestwick airport has for Scotland.

dog in park
10th Jan 2013, 16:11
Extend the runway all you like. What about the wing span and the Fawcettism?

left rudder
10th Jan 2013, 20:00
Key points dog. BHD has physical/geographical/environmental restrictions which cannot be overcome.
However within these limitations scope for further evolution exists with the next generation a/c - B737/A320 NEO and coming up on the outside Bombardier C series.
The C series potential is enormous but it is too early to speculate on new destinations at this stage.

Regarding airport closure this is Friday night pub stuff. Both airports are profitable and if the sale of Cardiff to the Welsh government proceeds this could result in significant investment at BFS.

Finally a rail link to BFS is pure fantasy. If it was an economic runner BFS would have found the money already. The taxpayer cannot pay for it! If Dublin cannot make it work.....
BFS management raise this issue periodically to deflect attention from their more pressing problems.

SecondDog
10th Jan 2013, 21:59
Regarding airport closure this is Friday night pub stuff. Both airports are profitable and if the sale of Cardiff to the Welsh government proceeds this could result in significant investment at BFS.

Finally a rail link to BFS is pure fantasy. If it was an economic runner BFS would have found the money already. The taxpayer cannot pay for it! If Dublin cannot make it work.....
BFS management raise this issue periodically to deflect attention from their more pressing problems.

Agree RE Cardiff Rudder, how that place stays open is beyond me given the proximity of BRS and BHX.

I think there is a big difference though between DUB and BFS re a train link. The nearest track to Dublin is many miles away, the nearest track to BFS is just past the 07 undershoot, the main problem is getting pax to the terminal (crappy roads for a shuttlebus/ too expensive to lay connecting track) but it must be a realistic future goal.

Jamie2k9
11th Jan 2013, 00:47
The nearest track to Dublin is many miles away

It would only require 6km of track to connect to a main line and connect DUB to the city.

Bmi-fan
11th Jan 2013, 10:21
It's not realistic to envisage there ever being a rail link to BFS.

Aside from the chicken & egg situation of PAX numbers not being sufficient to justify the expenditure on such a link...
How do you help boost numbers? By making access easier and competing with the ease of access offered by BHD.

The problem with a rail-link spur to the line at RWY 07 threshold is the track infrastructure onwards from there to Belfast.

IIRC NIR mothballed that line in 2003 - the resulting upgrade work to bring it back into service and the additional cost of dualling the track (from current single track) or provision of sufficient passing loops to allow a reasonable freq or service would be prohibitively expensive.

To go the other way via Antrim would require a spur loop to be constructed south of the Belmont rd to avoid having to switch ends in Antrim station.

A much easier solution would be a 7 mile motorway spur from the M2

Zag23
11th Jan 2013, 14:26
More short-term thinking in regards of transport in N.I.:ugh: At the moment BFS seems stuck in the middle of nowhere but geographicly it has the potenial to be a transport hub for N.I. With some road improvements, Enniskillen, Omagh, Cookstown, Magherafelt and Larne- Ballyclare express hourly buses. Trains from Derry and Ballymena to Belfast stopping at BFS, a new route from Carrick to Portadown could stop there as well as a dedecated 3 per hour Antrim-BFS-Belfast service. Unlike present Translink policy, all these services would have 5/10 min connections. How hard is building 800m of double track over flat farmland? and how much would it cost? Train passenger numbers would be boasted by commuters from Crumlin and Glenavy. At Antrim station there is already a spare platform and spur. If 37.5 BILLION taxpayer money can be found for rail projects in England, why cant 50 million not be found for this? Unless a runway extension at city which can accomodate west coast America flights is built, BFS will remain essential to aviation in N.I.

FRatSTN
11th Jan 2013, 14:31
To do all of the investment that BFS needs to become a viable airport, you'd be better going with my idea of transforming BHD to the main airport with 5-10 minute road and rail links and let BFS take the role of LCC's (FR and W6 especially) and cargo flights.

SecondDog
11th Jan 2013, 14:37
More short-term thinking in regards of transport in N.I.:ugh: At the moment BFS seems stuck in the middle of nowhere but geographicly it has the potenial to be a transport hub for N.I. With some road improvements, Enniskillen, Omagh, Cookstown, Magherafelt and Larne- Ballyclare express hourly buses. Trains from Derry and Ballymena to Belfast stopping at BFS, a new route from Carrick to Portadown could stop there as well as a dedecated 3 per hour Antrim-BFS-Belfast service. Unlike present Translink policy, all these services would have 5/10 min connections. How hard is building 800m of double track over flat farmland? and how much would it cost? Train passenger numbers would be boasted by commuters from Crumlin and Glenavy. At Antrim station there is already a spare platform and spur. If 37.5 BILLION taxpayer money can be found for rail projects in England, why cant 50 million not be found for this? Unless a runway extension at city which can accomodate west coast America flights is built, BFS will remain essential to aviation in N.I.

Agree completely! The problem now is with noone wanting to spend money. The need now is to build infrastructure for the future, the government needs to take a hit to provide long term gain!

As some of the people further back the thread have pointed out, even if the extension at city goes ahead, it can never be the main airport for the country because of its geographical and environmental limitations. It can only be Aldergrove. I think the road access from the M2 is essential and a train link too.

It is like the MD up there has been saying, an aviation strategy for NI has to be created to ensure we don't just lose everything to Dublin, the lord knows they have enough advantages already!

Zag23
11th Jan 2013, 17:19
Local groups and more importantly politicians will not let the runway at BHD be extended( i thought you were of the situation there?) and what about the curfew? Back to the drawing board FR-:=

BFS BHD
12th Jan 2013, 20:28
Anyone know when CAA will have the numbers for how many PAX went though BFS last year??

EI-BUD
12th Jan 2013, 20:35
Airport Statistics Notes | Aviation Intelligence | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=81&pagetype=90&pageid=12181)

7th March 2013, the CAA website says!

EI-BUD

BFS BHD
12th Jan 2013, 20:39
Thanks EI-BUD :ok:

BFS BHD

GAZMO
13th Jan 2013, 18:18
December caa stats are released on Tuesday and although provisional will give the rolling figure for the year. Looks like 4.3 million pax, slightly up on last years 4.1 million pax

True Blue
13th Jan 2013, 19:01
I travelled last Wednesday on the 5.00pm to Lgw. It was a 319, heavy load, I would say 80%+. I came back friday evening at 7.00pm from Lgw, a 320, almost 100% full. Little sign on those 2 flights that the much more preferable route with added flights is having much impact on Ezy. What I couldn't understand was, why were all those people on the Ezy flights? Most of them probably wanted to travel to that much more convenient airport, but ended up out in the middle of the fields. How silly were they. After all, we have so many who would love to come to Belfast, but don't because Bfs is to far out, Dublin is closer apparently. I have had the same experience on a number of flights. As an added, the flights which 8 of us took, were previously flown on EI to LHR.

TB

GAZMO
13th Jan 2013, 19:23
True blue - When Tuesday caa stats are released I think we will get a better picture of the London market.
From November figures EZY held their own on LGW, and that's before they launched the extra flight to LGW on 10th December
STN and SEN combined was up on previous Nov and LTN just down slightly

Domestically EZY are making inroads on Midlands market and the North West of England as well as minor gains on the two Scottish airports of EDI and GLA

Tuesday will have a few intesting comments

Are news on any new routes!!!!

bongoo
13th Jan 2013, 20:24
Don't worry TB, You'll get over it..:p

True Blue
13th Jan 2013, 20:32
Don't worry Bongoo, I've nothing to get over.

TB

mart901
13th Jan 2013, 21:52
TrueBlue - sorry maybe I'm just being dense but I don't quite get what you posted? Who did you actually fly with?

True Blue
13th Jan 2013, 22:18
As far as I am aware, there is only one operator from bfs - Lgw, that is Easyjet.

TB

mart901
13th Jan 2013, 22:24
Thats what I thought but the after comments left me confused!

SecondDog
14th Jan 2013, 00:25
True Blue, it seems like the board is a touch American.......

Doesn't do Sarcasm!

mart901
15th Jan 2013, 13:10
Jibes aside I can tell you trueblue EZY lost 3% in Dec on LGW, about 1k which isn't huge given the 55%, 12k growth at BHD. The BHD figure was better last month but LHR had 65%, 21k growth. LTN also down 11%, STN not available yet.

True Blue
15th Jan 2013, 14:14
OK, so Bhd to Lgw had an extra 12k pax last month. Against how many extra seats from EI? maybe somewhere in the region of 25k. So where did all these extra pax come from. I bet a lot of them are like the FR pax, they fly if it is cheap enough, result, poor yield. You see, they were not flying last year, so why fly this year? The result is that both EI and Flybe are probably suffering on this route now.

To Lhr, all that has happened is that the traffic that would have gone from Bfs now has to use Bhd, little growth to talk of.

What I would love to see is load factor and yield for all parties concerned ex Bhd. Bet none of them are making much money and EI might be finding that Bhd is not the pot of honey they were led to believe.

Ezy introduced an extra flight from just before Xmas, but with all the extra capacity from Bhd and bearing in mind it is where the majority want to use, we are told, they have maintained their share really well.

TB

mart901
15th Jan 2013, 14:38
Indeed, some pax will have migrated to BHD, some like you trueblue will have previously used EI and prefer BFS and therefore may well use EZY to LGW instead.
On the yield question I would imagine its far to early for EI to worry, they will expect to loose for some months on a startup route, but being Christmas and fares skyrocket yields do improve. Also bear in mind to protect market share costs money/yield-adding seats on LGW and delivering a small decline will have hit EZY, the main looser I would imagine would be BE. Interesting to see STN figures when available.

tigger2k8
15th Jan 2013, 16:11
Remember EI has a deal with BHD with regards to landing fee's and a few other things for X amount of years, so they will have a bit more to play with before they run into trouble.

mart901
15th Jan 2013, 16:29
Do they? Really? What deal?
Why is EI going to run into trouble? They were already in the LHR market and Belfast market generally, they seem to have had no bother attracting pax onto LGW and using smaller a/c on routes that will deliver more business pax is surely going to help them if anything. I would say its BE thats in danger given a) their financial situation and b) LGW landing fees which work against them using the size a/c they do.

tigger2k8
15th Jan 2013, 18:04
Do they? Really? What deal?
Why is EI going to run into trouble? They were already in the LHR market and Belfast market generally, they seem to have had no bother attracting pax onto LGW and using smaller a/c on routes that will deliver more business pax is surely going to help them if anything. I would say its BE thats in danger given a) their financial situation and b) LGW landing fees which work against them using the size a/c they do.

Ah i see my comment has been taken the wrong way... EI has a deal, details of it, i don't know, but they will have a deal for a few years (as they did with BFS). What i was saying is that the discounts they have, will offset some costs, which means they should have no issues... by the time the deal is over (normally lasts a few years) they will be established.. so it will be a long time before they have any trouble.. perhaps I should have been clearer

mart901
15th Jan 2013, 18:22
Sorry tigger, thanks for explaining. When WW went to BHD there seemed to be a belief amongst some that it was doomed before it started, then when they pulled virtually every domestic and Irish route some months prior to complete closure we had told you so, totally out of context of the bigger picture. EI too written off, and now proving popular, as always the they can't be making any yield police are out. Both EI and BHD have denied any special deals, I'm sure there's something been offered but in today's climate of financial and competition scrutiny I would imagine it wouldn't amount to a lot.EI being one if the few short haul carriers making profit in Europe and even beating FR in their home turf, I'm sure they have some concept of what they are doing.

Jamie2k9
15th Jan 2013, 18:28
Just to put peoples minds at ease, Aer Lingus are doing very well at BHD :) Its the competition over at BHD that feeling the affects ie-BA and BE. It was only a matter of time before EZY took a slight hit on BFS-LGW and people who think otherwise need to wake up. IMO its only a matter of time before BE drop LGW and as EI have added a 4 daily service EZY will feel the affects of this, have they an increased schedule to LGW for the summer schedule?

EI-BUD
15th Jan 2013, 18:37
Just to reinforce what Jamie2K is saying. Aer Lingus got off to a good start.

Some mornings BA dont run the 0640, leaving the 1st departure until 0750, leaving EI with first flight of the day.

Some days E.g. Monday BE have had last flight out at 1425, whereas EI have dedicated 3 flights every day to both London destinations from BHD.

The markets have grown, EI is discounting on LGW but getting their fair share of the cake.

EI-BUD

NWSRG
15th Jan 2013, 18:49
I'm in the process of booking for London for the end of the month. My meeting is in Blackfriars, and I'm living towards Ballymena. So I'll probably go with EZY to STN...at the London end, a Liverpool Street arrival is handier for me, as is a drive to BFS rather than BHD.
Another meeting that I sometimes go to is at Horseferry, so LGW and then a train to Victoria makes more sense. For that one, I'll look at EI and EZY...again, EZY might win given the drive home over here.
My point is, it's horses for courses. Sometimes EZY makes more sense, sometimes EI. If LHR is the handiest arrival point, then BHD / BFS is almost irrelevant. Don't read too much into all these figures...people will choose the route that makes most sense for their needs for that particular journey.

GAZMO
15th Jan 2013, 19:01
Although the full figures are not available yet for BFS it appears that BHD has has an extra 12K pax per month for Nov and Dec. Since STN from BHD was available last year it would be fair to say that many of these pax may have opted for the Gatwick service, plus there is a 5K drop in the number of pax using LHR. 7K used BHD to STN last year

EZY has only had a minor drop in LGW (average 1K per month) and similar on LTN. The combined STN and SEN route seems to holding OK.

EZY are certainly making in roads on the Midlands market, BHD to BHX down 3.5 K and EMA down 6K.

Agree NWRSG that EZY gives the options of London airports.

Question? If BHD have now has an extra 12K per month to LGW and EI have 90 flights per month then this would be a low LF? Or is it BE that has a low LF. Can anyone with inside knowledge on EI and BE LF's throw some light on this

mart901
15th Jan 2013, 19:31
LGW-BHD was 32k, the 12k figure is the amount the route has grown like for like. LHR has increased by about 22k making a total of 52k, last yr EI carried 18k so the LHR routes have grown by 3k. On a different note MAN showing growth for BHD, BFS not out yet, without looking back though I think both grew in Nov. Not all bad news for BE , some gains here and there, ABZ, CWL, LBA, MAN.

EI-BUD
15th Jan 2013, 19:32
Gazmo you are making an assumption that EI are only getting the incremental volume on BHD LGW, they are getting a fair split of the cake.. hence without knowing the specific airline by airline numbers you will not know the precise load factor, also BE using 400s on some flights and on some occassion cancelling rotations, well not as in cancelled simply not scheduling them. Eg Mon the evening rotation wasnt scheduled.

EI-BUD

EI-A330-300
15th Jan 2013, 19:33
Remenber EI have just over 5,000 lest seats per day to LHR with A319 replacing A320.

GAZMO
15th Jan 2013, 19:39
Mart901 yes the growth is 12K but with EI now having 90 flights per month the question I am asking is the LF low, either on EI or BE to LGW as EZY only appear to have a small reduction in numbers on the London market or as EI BUD has stated flights using smaller aircraft ie BE.

Yes BHD has 52 K pax on LHR but the combined total for last Dec was 60 K

As previous surely someone as insider info on EI or BE LF's

mart901
15th Jan 2013, 19:49
Gazmo if I wasn't using my phone and had the info to hand I would try and work out at least an average of the 2 carriers. If you think about it though, some days EZY have used A320's, on up to 5 rotations, BE have smaller aircraft and EI only A319 there's probably not a lot in it. I agree with EI-BUD I think BE are suffering, especially in this slack period.

BFS BHD
17th Jan 2013, 21:29
Wonder how BFS will handle the snow tomorrow if its amounts to much :E

Also seen a flight to Toulouse/blacnac departing at 11:00, flight number LS6047 Jet2 B737-300 i guess :p

SecondDog
17th Jan 2013, 21:52
Wonder how BFS will handle the snow tomorrow if its amounts to much http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

With sweepers and sprayers and sub-contractors probably, what did you think they would do?

How will the city cope if any snow makes it to the seaside?

dog in park
17th Jan 2013, 23:53
Its not the sea side its a river and a sea inlet. We like the facts to be right.

:E

BELHold
18th Jan 2013, 06:55
"For the few flights that there are now at Lough Neagh International, is it even economically viable to keep the runway and apron areas clear?"

I would say the crews of the A/C diverting there would say yes :E

scodaman
18th Jan 2013, 07:38
Have just watched Jet2 LS325 from Leeds Bradford circling for almost half an hour before diverting to Dublin (according to Flightradar24 map) while at the same time various Easyjet flights appear to be landing ok.

Do the Easyjet planes have special equipment for landing in snow/bad weather or what?

Edit - I posted this around 5.14pm!

Zag23
18th Jan 2013, 14:14
Come on now boys, whats all this barking at each other about? BHD sits beside Belfast Lough which is a sea lough.:ok:

tigger2k8
18th Jan 2013, 14:19
They have contractors as well as their own staff... i think they even invested in some equipment after the last big snow.. however due to the size of BFS, it'll be a challenge if it continues on as forecast states, not to mention its no good keeping BFS clear if the destination airports can't cope.

panpanpanpan
18th Jan 2013, 15:17
For the few flights that there are now at Lough Neagh International, is it even economically viable to keep the runway and apron areas clear? Who needs snow blowers when you can grab a bit of tumbleweed as it blows past and use that as a brush.:p

Zag23
18th Jan 2013, 17:04
Jet2 LS325 arrived at BFS at 1732

GAZMO
18th Jan 2013, 17:15
Looking at cancellations today BFS to BRS and LGW cancelled, some naturally running late
BHD cancellations LHR X 3 BHX EMA X2 GLA EDI SOU.....the tumbleweed at BFS must be keeping the runways clear!!!!!!!

mart901
18th Jan 2013, 17:44
BHD is open, think you'll find the problems on this side of the water. LHR, SOU, EMA and BHX have all been closed

BHD2BFS
18th Jan 2013, 17:51
will we see alot of BHD diversions to BFS tonyt if late, or will they just cx flights?

cuthere
18th Jan 2013, 18:05
What's tonyt mean? Is this a new language I have yet to be introduced to?

Is there the room at BFS?

If people do get diverted they can look forward to sitting on the plane for a while whilst the boys pick their ar$es for a bit before bringing the steps over (in my experience).

Zag23
18th Jan 2013, 18:50
whats wrong cuthere, no one to fight with on the city of derry page tonight?:=

cuthere
18th Jan 2013, 18:58
Not at all Zag23. It irks me that someone can be bothered to type the word "diversions" ("Divs" is a recognised abbreviation is it not?), but the word "tonight" is too much effort.

Also, for an airport that is apparently keen to be NI's no1, the ground staff seem utterly disinterested. I do a lot of travelling to the southwest of England for business, and as such, my only option from NI is EZY to BRS. On almost every occasion on returning to BFS, it's like the arrival of the flight is a surprise to the guys who work there. Any insights into why a quiet apron takes 15-20 minutes to produce steps to allow people to get off the plane? Staff shortages? Laziness? Disinterest?

As for the CODA thread, well there are those on there who are not in touch with reality. Hence my ire in that context.

tigger2k8
18th Jan 2013, 19:10
I find 15-20 minutes a bit hard to believe, within a few minutes the flight crew and/or the airport would have contacted the handling agent..

edit - did you perhaps consider contacting the airport and/or handling agent to express concern, mentioning it on the forum does nothing at all

Zag23
18th Jan 2013, 19:16
As long as you know what the person is saying, can't see what the problem is. Regarding stair delays, I'm not saying your telling porkies but the turn around times at BFS are 35/40 mins. If handlers are taking 15/20 mins to bring steps to aircraft, surely the airlines would be none too pleased. Were your flights the last ones in for the day? Regarding "optimistic" posters at COD page, theres really no need to rip them a new one is there?
:p

cuthere
18th Jan 2013, 19:26
Tigger/Zag. 15-20 minutes has been the maximum. 10 minutes is not unusual at all in my experience. This is nearly always when the flight has arrived early. Does ATC/Ops not update the folks out on the apron that the flight('s) early.

As a matter of fact, the captain of the flight I mentioned I was on before Christmas, apologised for the delay, and said he'd be making a complaint through official channels. I assume he did. His word will carry much more weight than mine I'd imagine.

As for complaining about it on this forum; I'm sure some of its readers will work at BFS.

Zag23
18th Jan 2013, 20:28
no need for that Pin.:=

dog in park
19th Jan 2013, 22:58
http://www.change.org/petitions/rename-belfast-international-airport-c-s-lewis-international?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=url_share&utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign

Tower Ranger
20th Jan 2013, 05:43
Maybe they could just rename it John Lewis and get some better deals on duty free shopping?

GAZMO
23rd Jan 2013, 17:53
Latest option from EZY when bookings flights from BFS
London airports was always an option but now Central Scotland and NW England options as well

Zag23
23rd Jan 2013, 19:06
Anyone have any info on the DC-8 freighter in today?

BFS BHD
23rd Jan 2013, 19:34
Reg:
9G-RAC

Aircraft Type:
DC-8-63

Flight Num:
ALE700

Zag23
23rd Jan 2013, 19:39
Any idea where its off to & what the special occasion is/ what its carrying?

BFS BHD
23rd Jan 2013, 19:42
Nope have no idea. Suppose to go tonight where ever its going. :)

eastern wiseguy
23rd Jan 2013, 20:11
I know......but can't say.:(

GAZMO
23rd Jan 2013, 20:32
What....a secret mission!!! Maybe a spy plane

GAZMO
23rd Jan 2013, 21:10
Oops who has been naughty on the Belfast threads? Big brothers is watching

Read the warning at top of home page!,,,,,

panpanpanpan
24th Jan 2013, 08:40
Gazmo, care to explain?? Not quite sure what you are getting at,:confused:

GAZMO
24th Jan 2013, 09:51
I was reading the info from sticky at top of the page (last night) dated 23rd January with the usual message of beware what you are saying on this website with a message addressed to those using the Belfast Thread (didn't state whether BHD or BFS)

I note this morning that it is still dated 23rd January but when you go to the page the message from 23rd January has now been removed. Anybody else see this?

FORUM SOPs. PLEASE READ....UPDATED 23rd JANUARY 2013

True Blue
24th Jan 2013, 10:37
Yes I read it as well and it said some posts on a Belfast thread had been removed.

TB

ILS25
24th Jan 2013, 11:06
Yes, I noticed quite a bit of verbal diarrhoea was removed from the belfast city airport thread.

NWSRG
24th Jan 2013, 17:51
About time...too many "my airport is better than your airport" conversations going on here!

mart901
24th Jan 2013, 18:13
The mod notice refers to Belfast thread(s) having deletions, not just BHD

BFS BHD
24th Jan 2013, 19:11
Road works due on Dungonnell Road and Airport Road between January 28 & February 23.
More Info: £215,000 resurfacing works scheme for Antrim - Local - Antrim Times (http://www.antrimtimes.co.uk/news/local/215-000-resurfacing-works-scheme-for-antrim-1-4717001)

Plus:

Enterprise Rent-A-Car has announced the opening of a new onsite branch in the Arrivals Hall of Belfast International Airport.
More Info: Enterprise boosts airport presence with new branch - Fleet News (http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/1/21/enterprise-boosts-airport-presence-with-new-branch/45979/)

SecondDog
24th Jan 2013, 20:08
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has announced the opening of a new onsite branch in the Arrivals Hall of Belfast International Airport.
More Info: Enterprise boosts airport presence with new branch - Fleet News (http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2013/1/21/enterprise-boosts-airport-presence-with-new-branch/45979/)

Good news after Avis moved over the road!

GAZMO
24th Jan 2013, 20:57
I notice TOM have a flight departing to Bridgetown tomorrow. Is this a one off?

BFS101
25th Jan 2013, 09:59
I think these sporadic Bridgetown flights are charters for P&O cruises.

SecondDog
25th Jan 2013, 21:04
Yes it is a cruise flight, happens at least once a year (for the last few years anyway)

GAZMO
25th Jan 2013, 22:06
Not bad figures for BFS for the year, 4.3 million pax
Reviewing the caa stats just released for December it looks like BFS, naturally has lost numbers on London routes but not overally bad. BHD +32K less the 7K lost on STN compared to last year therefore +25K. Also looks like pax deserting LHR route, LGW holding its own with LTN down 2K and the combined STN and SEN up 3.5K compared to last year
BFS doing well on the Midlands market (BHX EMA) up 11K with BHD down 9.5K
North West market (LPL and MAN) up 5K with BHD up 1K
Central Scotland (EDI GLA DUN)up 2.5K with BHD down 2K
North East (NCL) up 1K with BHD unchanged
south West (BRS CArdiff) up 1K with BHD down 3K

Still waiting on new route announcements !!!!!!

ILS25
25th Jan 2013, 22:42
Not bad for the claimed lesser preferred airport i guess.

True Blue
25th Jan 2013, 22:47
Yes amazing, 4.3m who don't want to use Bfs. Wrong airport, out in the middle of nowhere, falling down, bad transport links, bad at everything etc etc. Makes you wonder, how can so many get it wrong?

TB

GAZMO
25th Jan 2013, 23:19
Now now TB you will only get a number of negative comments being posted
However I have to say that BFS had a good year but wish they would announce some new routes. It's getting very close to the start of the summer schedule

BHD2BFS
25th Jan 2013, 23:26
I don't think people hate BFS, I think it's more to do with the terminal itself, it's old and dated, and you can only refurbish a building for so long until it needs replacing, the intl pier is embarrassing, I'm surprised United havnt forced management to do something with it.
I sometimes have to question management also, I know we are in a recession. But they can't even entice a carrier/ tour operator to fly to Canada a few times over the summer months, and considering the company also owns Sanford airport, you would think a great deal could be done with an airline to fly more than only 3 times a year

mart901
25th Jan 2013, 23:40
I don't think its so much a case of which airport as what price. EZY are offering generally higher capacity than BE across the UK regions and lower prices - in the current climate people will pick that option, remember what happened when they ran LTN from BHD? Nothing, it stayed the same. Another example being FR and the vast passenger numbers they attracted.

GAZMO - Looking at LHR, how do you deduct the route is being desserted when in Dec 2556 more people flew from BHD than the combined BFS/BHD in 2011.
Looking at STN/SEN yes into BFS EZY are in net gain but if you take into consideration the 7577 passengers who flew with WW overall the amount of people flying from STN/SEN to Belfast has shrunk by 4075. Where did they go? EZY has actually lost passengers on every single London route which was operating 12 months ago. SEN is only ever going to be a gain until its been 12 months running.
Grouping London routes together as one market in the same way as you have with the midlands,north west etc, BFS/EZY lost 17,829 passengers in Dec on London routes, even taking SEN as a gain. BHD gained 24,646 passengers on London routes in Dec after taking off the passengers that previously used WW.

I have a feeling in the course of time things are going to pan out passenger numbers wise, the 4.3m may look somewhat different in 12 months time, most of 2012 had EI at BFS, their capacity to London hasn't really been replaced although I think growth will continue into MAN and BHX, unless EIR commence the rumoured BHD routes.

GAZMO
26th Jan 2013, 00:00
Mat901

Apologise for getting the Dec figures wrong, but Nov is down, so Dec up 2.5K and Nov down 5K+ maybe due to the extra BA flight
Agree with the 18 K lost at BFS on London routes but as you have stated BFS doing well on other domestic routes

mart901
26th Jan 2013, 00:22
Apology humbly accepted. I wonder maybe is the shift somewhat indicative of the recession, the north of england and Scotland have been badly hit and price sensitive passengers are opting for easyjet whereas the LON/south east now has high frequency into BHD on quality airlines, LGW also offering prices that make the journey to LTN/STN to save money less attractive, notice EZY lost least on LGW despite such a big increase in competition.

GibbyNI
26th Jan 2013, 08:57
I asked this on the main forum but thinking I may get better info here.

A lot of people around here, including myself heard a very noisy and I’m assuming large plane landing at Belfast international (BFS) at around 4:30 am on Thursday 24th.

Can anyone else help identify what it could have been? I have seen an Antonov 124 going in before and noticed a few people talking about one in November so just wondering if it was this again.

Cheers

tigger2k8
26th Jan 2013, 10:40
It may have been the 767 ( I think) inbound for the Bridgetown flight.

Edit - got my dates mixed up, that would be a day late... So not sure what it was

GibbyNI
26th Jan 2013, 13:20
I didnt even know there was a flight to bridgetown from BFS lol who is it operated by? also the 767's normaly show up on flight radar 24 as far as I know.

cessnarocket
26th Jan 2013, 16:14
the aircraft in question was an airlift international dc 8 dept 0420 hrs used 95% of runway 07 on dept:8

GibbyNI
26th Jan 2013, 16:43
Cheers cessna, any idea on where it was going or what the cargo was or even its reg ?

Bfs bloke
27th Jan 2013, 09:59
Don't know what it was doing here but the reg was 9G-RAC

tigger2k8
27th Jan 2013, 11:02
Ah that was the aircraft that sat down at delta for a day or two I believe..

cessnarocket
27th Jan 2013, 11:30
It departed to dubai cant say what cargo was but look at my user name ;)

GibbyNI
27th Jan 2013, 19:18
haha Cheers Cessna

Zag23
27th Jan 2013, 19:21
So it was transporting cessnas? :ok:

GAZMO
31st Jan 2013, 10:28
Rip Off
At this time of the year many of us are looking to book summer holidays. naturally at the best price, but how many of us look at the price of airport carparking and include in the overall cost?

just booked the car into BHD long stay park for this weekend........£36!!!

Checked the prices at BFS for this weekend, BFS Long Stay £18, McCausland £18 Cosmo £17

maybe the extra is a subsidy for the airlines!!!!!!!!!!

BFS BHD
2nd Feb 2013, 16:38
Found this on the web;

Belfast Airport, Access Services With The Irish Touch | The News (http://www.reducedmobility.eu/20130201278/The-News/belfast-airport-access-services-with-the-irish-touch.html)

ILS25
2nd Feb 2013, 20:43
"further improved by the traditional Irish warmth"

They must have given all the security personnel happy pills that day.

mart901
3rd Feb 2013, 00:29
GAZMO

Indeed BHD on site car park is expensive, I quite agree. However BOAL are doing Fri-Sun parking by IKEA for £15.

EI-BUD
3rd Feb 2013, 17:16
I parked at Ikea car park at stupid o clock to fly to LHR, £8 for the day. The £6 one day price was not online for city airport car park. I also heard offer finished. However, outside the terminal billboards in the walkway were advertising is with 'use promo code of relax' , so one would wonder.

BFS BHD
9th Feb 2013, 18:53
Southend reduces to 11 weekly from 3rd May.

Then to 9 weekly from 20th May

Then to 7 weekly from 17th June

Then to 6 weekly from 1st October

Is the numbers bad on the route now :confused:

mart901
9th Feb 2013, 20:10
That is sad, it will cease to appeal to business users. However I think routes like SEN-BFS get used as alternatives to main airports a lot, look now at LGW-BHD/BFS and the pricing and frequency and its not surprising something has to give. EZY will no doubt have a more profitable alternative to fighting a fares war into Belfast.

FRatSTN
9th Feb 2013, 21:23
Looks like BFS is really going down the pan. It looks dangerously quiet at times this year. Take a look at the timetable as it currently stands for the quietist day at the airport (Saturday) with 39 departures through the peak summer time:

ARRIVALS
TCX8047 00:35 Tenerife-South
LS382 00:40 Tenerife-South
TOM1569 01:45 Tenerife-South
EZY6716 01:50 Palma de Mallorca
--------------------------------------------
EZY462 07:40 Glasgow-International
EZY482 07:50 Edinburgh
EZY601 07:50 Liverpool
EZY547 07:55 Newcastle
EZY131 08:10 Manchester
EZY715 08:30 London-Southend
EZY443 08:40 Bristol
UA094 09:00 New York-Newark
EZY255 09:10 London-Stansted
EZY603 09:30 Liverpool
EZY194 09:40 Birmingham
LS302 09:40 Alicante
TOM1617 12:50 Palma de Mallorca
EZY183 13:00 London-Luton
TCX8275 13:05 Palma de Mallorca
EZY6704 13:10 Alicante
EZY6772 13:10 Amsterdam
EZY6794 13:15 Faro
EZY835 13:25 London-Gatwick
LS362 13:25 Palma de Mallorca
EZY464 14:05 Glasgow-International
LS306 14:15 Faro
LS713 15:05 Blackpool
EZY6756 15:35 Malaga
EZY6712 16:20 Palma de Mallorca
EZY259 16:50 London-Stansted
EZY613 17:35 Liverpool
LS340 18:05 Jersey
EZY6738 19:45 Nice
EZY486 20:55 Edinburgh
LS320 21:40 Pisa
EZY6732 22:35 Malta
EZY841 22:40 London-Gatwick
EZY6758 23:15 Malaga
TCX8125 23:30 Gran Canaria
EZY6714 23:40 Palma de Mallorca
EZY6798 23:45 Faro
TOM1679 00:05 Gran Canaria
EZY6692 02:50 Ibiza

DEPARTURES
TOM1616 05:40 Palma de Mallorca
TCX8274 06:00 Palma de Mallorca
EZY254 06:15 London-Stansted
EZY6703 06:35 Alicante
EZY6793 06:40 Faro
EZY193 07:00 Birmingham
LS361 07:00 Palma de Mallorca
LS305 07:10 Faro
EZY548 07:15 Newcastle
EZY600 07:25 Liverpool
EZY463 08:05 Glasgow-International
EZY481 08:15 Edinburgh
EZY602 08:15 Liverpool
EZY6755 08:25 Malaga
EZY132 08:40 Manchester
EZY716 08:55 London-Southend
EZY444 09:05 Bristol
EZY6771 09:40 Amsterdam
EZY6711 10:00 Palma de Mallorca
EZY834 10:10 London-Gatwick
LS301 10:40 Alicante
UA095 11:10 New York-Newark
EZY184 13:25 London-Luton
TCX8124 13:50 Gran Canaria
EZY258 13:55 London-Stansted
EZY836 13:55 London-Gatwick
EZY6737 14:00 Nice
TOM1678 14:15 Gran Canaria
EZY465 14:30 Glasgow-International
EZY6731 14:30 Malta
LS339 14:30 Jersey
LS319 15:15 Pisa
LS714 15:35 Blackpool
EZY6757 16:15 Malaga
EZY6797 17:10 Faro
EZY6713 17:20 Palma de Mallorca
EZY614 18:00 Liverpool
EZY6691 20:30 Ibiza
EZY487 21:20 Edinburgh

Passenger numbers look like they will be going down again for 2013 with a timetable like that. It goes more than 3 hours with not a single passenger aircraft arriving in the late morning/early afternoon period and goes more than 1 and a half hours with nothing either arriving or departing on a couple of occassions!!!:eek:

How hard is the EI move going to affect BFS's passenger stats for the whole of 2013 I wonder. Does anybody know how many passengers did they have annually before they pulled out?

Is there a chance of seeing passenger numbers falling below the 4 million mark this year??

Challenging times ahead it would seem:uhoh:

BFS BHD
9th Feb 2013, 21:38
FRatSTN thats interesting there you don't have the busiest day of the week times for the summer?

Thanks

FRatSTN
9th Feb 2013, 21:56
Mondays, much busier but still down on last year...

ARRIVALS
TCX8659 00:40 Antalya
TOM315 02:15 Bodrum
EZY462 07:40 Glasgow-International
EZY482 07:50 Edinburgh
EZY601 07:50 Liverpool
EZY547 07:55 Newcastle
EZY443 08:10 Bristol
EZY715 08:30 London-Southend
UA094 09:00 New York-Newark
EZY181 09:05 London-Luton
EZY255 09:10 London-Stansted
EZY131 09:30 Manchester
LS323 09:30 Leeds/Bradford
EZY194 09:40 Birmingham
EZY833 09:45 London-Gatwick
BGH5573 10:20 Bourgas
EZY464 10:35 Glasgow-International
EZY603 10:50 Liverpool
EZY484 12:20 Edinburgh
EZY835 12:55 London-Gatwick
EZY6704 13:10 Alicante
EZY466 13:15 Glasgow-International
EZY6772 13:40 Amsterdam
EZY607 13:55 Liverpool
LS302 14:20 Alicante
EZY259 14:30 London-Stansted
EZY6756 15:20 Malaga
EZY6672 15:55 Barcelona
LS362 16:35 Palma de Mallorca
EZY553 16:45 Newcastle
EZY185 16:50 London-Luton
EZY609 17:30 Liverpool
TCX8507 17:30 Dalaman
EZY6724 17:40 Paris-Charles de Gaulle
EZY6776 17:55 Amsterdam
TOM589 18:25 Dalaman
EZY837 18:55 London-Gatwick
EZY611 19:00 Liverpool
EZY447 19:15 Bristol
EZY6796 19:55 Faro
EZY187 20:15 London-Luton
EZY137 20:30 Manchester
EZY470 20:40 Glasgow-International
EZY263 21:00 London-Stansted
EZY198 21:05 Birmingham
LS305 21:05 Barcelona-Reus
EZY839 21:20 London-Gatwick
EZY613 21:25 Liverpool
EZY449 22:25 Bristol
EZY488 22:30 Edinburgh
EZY841 22:40 London-Gatwick
EZY6716 01:50 Palma de Mallorca
TOM1185 04:45 Bourgas
TCX8825 05:00 Bodrum

DEPARTURES
EZY254 06:15 London-Stansted
EZY832 06:25 London-Gatwick
EZY6703 06:35 Alicante
EZY182 07:00 London-Luton
EZY193 07:00 Birmingham
LS324 07:00 Leeds/Bradford
TCX8506 07:00 Dalaman
EZY130 07:05 Manchester
LS301 07:30 Alicante
TOM588 08:00 Dalaman
EZY463 08:05 Glasgow-International
EZY481 08:15 Edinburgh
EZY602 08:15 Liverpool
EZY548 08:20 Newcastle
EZY444 08:35 Bristol
EZY716 08:55 London-Southend
EZY6755 09:35 Malaga
EZY834 09:40 London-Gatwick
EZY6671 10:00 Barcelona
EZY6771 10:10 Amsterdam
LS361 10:10 Palma de Mallorca
EZY483 10:15 Edinburgh
EZY465 11:00 Glasgow-International
UA095 11:10 New York-Newark
EZY604 11:15 Liverpool
BGH5572 11:20 Bourgas
EZY6795 13:15 Faro
EZY467 13:40 Glasgow-International
EZY6723 13:40 Paris-Charles de Gaulle
EZY836 13:55 London-Gatwick
EZY608 14:20 Liverpool
EZY6775 14:25 Amsterdam
EZY258 15:00 London-Stansted
LS304 15:05 Barcelona-Reus
EZY446 16:35 Bristol
EZY610 16:55 Liverpool
EZY554 17:10 Newcastle
EZY186 17:15 London-Luton
EZY612 17:55 Liverpool
EZY838 18:05 London-Gatwick
EZY197 18:25 Birmingham
TCX8824 18:55 Bodrum
EZY842 19:20 London-Gatwick
EZY6715 19:30 Palma de Mallorca
TOM1184 19:35 Bourgas
EZY448 19:45 Bristol
EZY485 20:25 Edinburgh
EZY188 20:40 London-Luton
EZY138 20:55 Manchester
EZY471 21:05 Glasgow-International
EZY262 21:25 London-Stansted
EZY616 21:50 Liverpool

BFS BHD
9th Feb 2013, 22:32
Thanks for that FRatSTN :ok:

SecondDog
9th Feb 2013, 22:42
Looks like BFS is really going down the pan. It looks dangerously quiet at times this year. Take a look at the timetable as it currently stands for the quietist day at the airport (Saturday) with 39 departures through the peak summer time:

I took out the timetable because it is too long to quote

Passenger numbers look like they will be going down again for 2013 with a timetable like that. It goes more than 3 hours with not a single passenger aircraft arriving in the late morning/early afternoon period and goes more than 1 and a half hours with nothing either arriving or departing on a couple of occassions!!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

How hard is the EI move going to affect BFS's passenger stats for the whole of 2013 I wonder. Does anybody know how many passengers did they have annually before they pulled out?

Is there a chance of seeing passenger numbers falling below the 4 million mark this year??

Challenging times ahead it would seemhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

Lets be honest, it is a saturday you are talking about here, which mostly rules out business travel so the day is resigned to holidaymakers going to/fro the summer spots. Therefore the number of flights will always be down because there are fewer UK mainland runs on saturday (To me this is just common sense on the part of airlines to redeploy aircraft elsewhere) So, the problem is that there aren't enough foreign routes to satisfy you I presume? Surely that is down to unwilling airlines just as much as inactive airport management! (lets face it BHD might appear to be generating new business but they aren't really, it is more of a redeployment for NI aviation if you look at the bigger picture - so it is the airlines who are strangling NI growth at present, not crappy Airport management(albeit they aren't doing much to help it would appear) )

On the whole I think EI had something like 400000 pax or maybe half a mil for the year but I imagine a certain amount of that will be reouped by the big orange and Jet2 putting on some extra routes. I doubt the loss will be astonishing come end of play 2013. Dipping under 4mil? don't think so.

FRatSTN
10th Feb 2013, 08:45
Well Saturday's as it currently stands is 39 departures, down from 44 the same time last year wheras Monday is down from 57 to 52. There's about 5 less departures every day.

I know it's the passenger numbers that count but all of the aircraft in BFS except the NY service are A320 and 737 size, so you can assume the loss of about 700 - 800 seats a day on departures alone.

I make it a loss of a good 250,000 seats in total for the summer schedule (April-October):

700 lost seats X 180 days (roughly 6 mths) = 126,000 lost seats (departing only)

126,000 X 2 = 252,000 lost seats in total for the summer only!

I don't know how much Jan, Feb, Mar, Nov and Dec was/will be down this year. Assuming the declines are even worse for these months, it could be in danger of falling to about the 4 million mark but I do agree, it's unlikely to fall that far, but certainly the low end of 4 million.

tigger2k8
10th Feb 2013, 10:38
While I'm quite sure numbers will be down or the same for the next year... The schedule is in no way finalised, I find it hard to believe that SEN is reducing that much, an a/c from BFS or SEN must not be in the system yet..

GAZMO
10th Feb 2013, 11:34
SEN going to one daily is surprising.....especially the timing of last flight of the day? Is there a possibility of EZY putting in early departure with BFS plane

Annual figures for 2013
The 400,000 EI is a figure I have heard as number of pax EI had at BFS. The new BHX flight will probably recoup 140,000 of those pax and additional MAN flights probably 60,000 pax. These plus LS starting double weekly to Tenerife and Lanzarote from Sept and maintaining ALC as all year service figures just may be very similar

Figures will not grow that much when there are three commerical airport trying to serve a small population of 1.8 million

EI-A330-300
10th Feb 2013, 12:42
FRatSTN you are for getting other various charters from BFS, isn't there a few to Greece and Cyprus etc.

AIRPORT66
10th Feb 2013, 13:21
A lot of the charter work from BFS is done by the larger A321 and B737-800 series not just the A320 and B737-300.

FRatSTN
10th Feb 2013, 13:48
There isn't a foreign charter every day anyway. There's the BH Air to Bourgas on Mondays which I put in, there's a charter to Rhodes on Wednesday nights and a few more here and there, but nothing much more to get too worked up about.

mart901
10th Feb 2013, 13:53
Sadly most UK airports don't have many charters to get worked up about, only really LGW and MAN. its LCC all the way now.

AIRPORT66
10th Feb 2013, 14:02
Thomascook,Thomson, both twice a day Aegean 3 weekly Onur air Freebird air Bhair Air via all weekly and then you have your various flights to Lourdes which account for a fair we bit throughout the summer months.

virginblue
13th Feb 2013, 07:31
Trivial question:

For getting from BFS to Derry, how does a connection on the X300 via the Europa Centre compare fare wise to a direct Airporter service (which is 18,50 GBP)? BFS website mentions...

A discount is available when a through ticket including Airport Express 300 is obtained on Goldline Services

...but I am unable to get a quote or buy a ticket online on their website.

While connecting would be more inconvenient of course, it would offer me a far better flexibility given the limited number of Airporter departures.

cuthere
13th Feb 2013, 07:42
Virginblue,

I have never been able to buy a through ticket. I think that advertising is either entirely inaccurate,or perhaps no longer valid.

A single from BFS to the Europa is £7, then a single to Derry is around £11, but may be cheaper if you get of one of the deals.

The Airporter's great for escaping BFS, but as you say, the timetable isn't as comprehensive as the Goldliner between The Europa and Derry, but it is much more convenient.

GAZMO
13th Feb 2013, 07:49
Agree with the frequencies by Airporter could be better. As an alternative the translink 109a service to Antrim Railway station then train to Derry. The upgraded train line is due to reopen next month and trains, looking at todays timetable running every hour to Coleraine. Again this bus (109a) only operates every hour. Last time I got a taxi from BFS to Antrim rail station, think it was £10 from the airport. Hopefully this will help

Zag23
13th Feb 2013, 12:05
If going to antrim train station, arrange an antrim (regency?) taxi to pick you up from the hotel at BFS, only £8. If going to derry, the airporter is the best option. Got off the plane & just missed it? Have a pint/ 2 and get the next one.:ok:

cuthere
13th Feb 2013, 16:35
The track upgrade between Coleraine and Derry won't speed up the journey, and the train timetable is even more irregular than the Airporter.

Is there still a bar landside in BFS after the realignment of departures etc?

Zag23
13th Feb 2013, 17:53
Not sure bout the airside bar, the one in the park plaza is good.

tigger2k8
13th Feb 2013, 20:59
No bar as such, but the cafe in the arrivals hall used to sell bottles but can't recall seeing any recently.

SecondDog
14th Feb 2013, 13:59
No bar as such, but the cafe in the arrivals hall used to sell bottles but can't recall seeing any recently.

Yep, still licenced

tigger2k8
15th Feb 2013, 17:58
Surprised no one has been on to comment on the BA 747 doing training flights this afternoon from BFS

KNT544
15th Feb 2013, 18:02
I took a video of one of its take offs whilst I was stood at the head of stand 15. Not had chance to upload it as yet though.

KNT544
15th Feb 2013, 18:08
Not brilliant but it took me by surprise.

http://db.tt/ZYCEc2MR

BFS BHD
15th Feb 2013, 19:40
Seen on BFS twitter account that its due in again tomorrow around mid morning! :ok:

Maybe its not all about training! :E Could be them looking around the airport etc and seeing what the app to runways 25/07 are like! For a return to BFS next summer! :ooh:

BFS BHD
15th Feb 2013, 19:41
Also what stand did the 747 park on? :)

eastern wiseguy
15th Feb 2013, 19:43
Dont whip yourselves into a froth . It is doing some work involving RNAV approaches.
It will clear off to Scotland and return to do a little bit of work again tomorrow.

SecondDog
17th Feb 2013, 11:20
Not brilliant but it took me by surprise.

http://db.tt/ZYCEc2MR

Airborne by Bravo, not bad for a Big fella (I know he is empty but still....)

SecondDog
17th Feb 2013, 11:23
Dont whip yourselves into a froth . It is doing some work involving RNAV approaches.
It will clear off to Scotland and return to do a little bit of work again tomorrow.

I laughed at this, If you want people who don't get over-excited at the slightest rumor Eastern, you do be in the wrong forum....

eastern wiseguy
17th Feb 2013, 13:12
Second...I know that...I know that...:ok:

However I won't be here for much longer

GAZMO
17th Feb 2013, 16:21
All quiet on the BFS front. No rumours of any new routes yet?

KNT544
17th Feb 2013, 16:50
Also what stand did the 747 park on?

It didn't but I have dispatched B742 from stand 25 before.

BFS BHD
17th Feb 2013, 19:04
It didn't but I have dispatched B742 from stand 25 before.

Thanks for that KNT544, I just thought it landed for fuel. :)

Thanks again

BFS BHD :ok:

BFS BHD
19th Feb 2013, 23:41
Any new airlines yet!

Would love to see BAW come from BHD to BFS and start LHR up again and maybe a few other routes.... :E

And will we see a Canada route back in 2014?! :confused:

Also who is doing the Orlando flights this year? TCX and MON like last year?

BFS BHD :ok::ok:

GAZMO
20th Feb 2013, 07:23
BFS BHD

Do you think they have missed the boat. Nearly into March and no announcements? If Toronto was to be launched for the summer surely it would launched before now. If Air Canada Rouge can operate from EDI, surely BFS with its zero APD is attractive. Could be winter schedule before anything announced......hopefully not

Mlinnie
20th Feb 2013, 15:15
Maybe we should just give up on any hopes of new routes this summer and hope that one of the airport's 'series of announcements' for its anniversary is a new route for the winter/summer 2014...

trolleydolly737
20th Feb 2013, 18:47
Jet2 have launched a weekly scheduled service to Salzburg for Winter 2013/14.

Bookable on their website.

GAZMO
20th Feb 2013, 19:26
Hopefully the first of many!!!

GibbyNI
21st Feb 2013, 18:16
Just heard another very noisey takeoff from BFS, I cant see it on flight radar of listed departures. Anyone know what it was? heard it about 19:10

BFS BHD
21st Feb 2013, 19:40
RAF Tornado GR4 ZD713 :)

GibbyNI
21st Feb 2013, 20:27
Cheers BFS BHD

BFS BHD
21st Feb 2013, 20:33
No problem! :)

BFS BHD
23rd Feb 2013, 14:45
Looks like there is 3 LS flights tomorrow morning at BFS:

LS 2181 Plovdiv 08:15
LS 0309 Lanzarote 08:30
LS 2177 Tromsoe 10:00

Wonder what extra aircraft they will bring for it! :)

GAZMO
23rd Feb 2013, 15:23
Is it a one off charter?

BFS BHD
23rd Feb 2013, 15:27
Must be! :)

GAZMO
23rd Feb 2013, 15:43
Just looking at caa stats for January. Overall not much change in numbers. BHD up 16.5 K on London airports and BFS down 16K.
Other key domestic airports BHD down 12.5K and BFS up 14K

Not bad reading for BFS since average of 180 return flight per month by EI to London from city

SecondDog
23rd Feb 2013, 23:28

Is it a one off charter?

Cruise flight

GAZMO
24th Feb 2013, 11:02
Notice from Sunday times report that Albertis putting airports up for sale?

Maybe a more progressive owner for BFS

Mlinnie
24th Feb 2013, 11:35
Is it too early to ask if there are any bidders ?

NWSRG
24th Feb 2013, 13:10
Be nice to see someone like MAG come in.

tigger2k8
24th Feb 2013, 14:31
long time coming... hopefully to a better owner who wants to invest

EI-BUD
24th Feb 2013, 14:42
I wonder will it be a package deal LTN BFS and CWL, Abertis dont own LTN but a long lease as far as I understand from Luton Council.

Potential suitors I would imagine:

Belfast City Airport
DAA

I cannot see MAG being interested at this time being in deep in the Stansted airport takeover.

I'd like to see GIP takeover and replicate the type of energy and forward thinking like they have done at Gatwick.

planenut321
24th Feb 2013, 15:34
Could see them all being separately especially if the Welsh Assembly Government gets its way and buys CWL.

Danmadole
24th Feb 2013, 15:44
Quote:

Quote:

Is it a one off charter?

Cruise flight

One-off charter to see the Northern lights.
Wouldnt fancy a cruise up there at this time of year :)

GAZMO
24th Feb 2013, 16:23
Just read the UTV web site on the potential sale of BFS and they are stating 12 million pax use the airport each year!!!!!! I must be living in another country or maybe it includes Belfast airport in USA!!!!

GAZMO
24th Feb 2013, 17:46
Notice Jet2 have their Geneva flight for sale for winter 13/14 so two ski destinations from BFS, Geneva and Salzburg.......wonder if anymore in pipeline

FRatSTN
24th Feb 2013, 20:01
MAG is no doubt out of the question because of the Stansted takeover.

GIP have already got the much bigger Gatwick and Edinburgh airports and are still focusing very much on those. Would they really want to take Belfast on as well?

Would BAA (Heathrow Airport Holdings) be allowed to buy Belfast?

Perhaps the peel group who own Liverpool, Doncaster and Teesside? (Might be good for Wizz if they got LTN, since they already work with them at LPL and DSA).

I think the Peel Group would suit best out of the main ones in the UK but not sure how realistic that would be. Perhaps somebody else may pop up from somewhere, may be somebody who would take on both Belfast and Luton? It seems Cardiff is already on track to being bought by the Welsh government.

SecondDog
24th Feb 2013, 21:12
One-off charter to see the Northern lights.
Wouldnt fancy a cruise up there at this time of year http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Would be cool, glaciers and all that wintry stuff!

If I could afford it I would go!

SecondDog
24th Feb 2013, 21:18
Could see them all being separately especially if the Welsh Assembly Government gets its way and buys CWL.

You mean the Welsh Assembly had a choice in the matter??

I'm pretty sure CWL was got rid of to make the other group airports more attractive?

I have only an outsider's standpoint so i'm sure all you well-in folk will correct me if I am wrong but surely Cardiff was doomed unless nationalised?

SecondDog
24th Feb 2013, 21:28
MAG is no doubt out of the question because of the Stansted takeover.

GIP have already got the much bigger Gatwick and Edinburgh airports and are still focusing very much on those. Would they really want to take Belfast on as well?

Would BAA (Heathrow Airport Holdings) be allowed to buy Belfast?

Perhaps the peel group who own Liverpool, Doncaster and Teesside? (Might be good for Wizz if they got LTN, since they already work with them at LPL and DSA).

I think the Peel Group would suit best out of the main ones in the UK but not sure how realistic that would be. Perhaps somebody else may pop up from somewhere, may be somebody who would take on both Belfast and Luton? It seems Cardiff is already on track to being bought by the Welsh government.

As someone said earlier, Luton is just a long term lease so is it really a big part of the deal?.

IMHO, BAA wouldn't be interested because of the relatively small market and competition(/obliteration) from DUB.

Someone earlier mentioned BHD(and whatever Investment firm currently owns them presumably) as potential suitors but given the massive negative equity sitting down the road, I'm not sure where they would find the capital?

Does anyone know if it is Abertis' airports division that is for sale? Because then you have to factor in Skavsta/Sanford-Orlando (lease) plus a couple of other American ones and a couple of South american ones.

I actually think there is a potential for good investment at BFS if it can be managed correctly, so it will be interesting to see who the runners and riders are!

ILS25
24th Feb 2013, 22:40
Well if it does fall into the hands of new owners at least they will have a freshly resurfaced runway to play with.

They'll have to pump quite a few million into the terminal to bring it up to any sort of decent standard, it could do with a total rebuild but no chance of that happening in the next decade. ATC building and tower are looking quite tired and dated too.

SecondDog
25th Feb 2013, 13:22
Well if it does fall into the hands of new owners at least they will have a freshly resurfaced runway to play with.

They'll have to pump quite a few million into the terminal to bring it up to any sort of decent standard, it could do with a total rebuild but no chance of that happening in the next decade. ATC building and tower are looking quite tired and dated too.

Checkin hall/Security search and Airside retail look ok (apart from the crumbly floor tiles) I think refurbishment of the international lounge is a must (agreed a new Terminal would be too expensive in the short term)

As for ATC and tower buildings, maybe we could settle for a new mimic panel to go with the new airfield lights?? :ok:

GAZMO
25th Feb 2013, 14:46
Does the majority of pax not stay in the shopping and retail area until flight is called? Pax are like vultures, hovering around the departure board waiting for the gate to be announced and then rush.....lets queue up at the gate

Recently flying from LHR to USA, terminal three........yes the vultures are there as well.....then the long walk to the gate......and nothing there, cannot even get a cup of coffee. At least BFS has a Cafe / Bar

Yes it would be nice to see more retail IN THE MAIN AREA, but you only go to International pier when your flight is called

SecondDog
25th Feb 2013, 15:01
Yes it would be nice to see more retail IN THE MAIN AREA, but you only go to International pier when your flight is called

Yes but you don't want to have threadbare carpets and rubbish dirty seating, walls that could do with a paint job and the toilets need looked at (I'm sure passengers notice those?) the Bar is a bit of an afterthought and could be improved.

airhumberside
25th Feb 2013, 18:59

FYI Peel Group only control and fully own DSA and MME. LPL is 35% Peel and 65% Vantage (Vancouver Airport)

BFS101
26th Feb 2013, 22:14
With the launch of the new LS Salzburg flight, I see Inghams Ski have taken an allocation on this flight. This follows this years LS Geneva route, again with Inghams taking an allocation.

A look at the Inghams flight program would show that they seem to have gotten pretty friendly with Jet2 across the UK. They are also now using the LS Pisa flights from BFS also in their summer program. So I wonder are these destinations lead by Jet2 as the airline, or requested in liaison with the tour operator, with Jet2 being able to direct sell as a scheduled flight??

IrishFlyer2013
2nd Mar 2013, 10:56
Small Planet Airlines will be operating Belfast Intl to Larnaca instead of Aegean Airlines this summer on behalf of Olympic Holidays. The flights operate on a Saturday instead of Friday.

LLC664 1450 1835 LCA-BFS
LLC663 1935 0250 BFS-LCA

They have also dropped in BFS-HER flights which Aegean Airlines was due to operate.

Aegean Airlines will still operate BFS to RHO for the S13 Season.

Danmadole
2nd Mar 2013, 12:58
Any start date on these charters?

IrishFlyer2013
2nd Mar 2013, 13:12
Belfast to Larnaca starts on the 29th of June will Small Planet Airlines.

Belfast to Rhodes restarts on the 26th of June with Aegean Airlines. A3 operated BFS-RHO last summer.

After having a look in the TCX booking engine it appears BFS will be 1 A321 based for the Winter 13/14 season. :ok:

BFS BHD
2nd Mar 2013, 21:33
Anyone know when Jet.com will have Leeds Airport on sale from BFS for Winter 13/14??

Cheers!
BFS BHD :ok: