PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

EI-BUD
3rd Apr 2016, 20:12
Dan, unfortunately there are posters on these forums that will only be happy when FlyBe and/or Harbour close down. I find it very hard to understand especially when these same posters have allegedly no direct interest in either business. There is an air of glee when there is any perceived dip in loads or revenue for anything other than the glorious Aldergrove, this is of course judged by these self proclaimed experts from the comfort of their armchair.

I still stick to the principle of competition and the fact that choice leaves everyone in NI plc better off overall. If Harbour and FlyBe were to disappear overnight then Aldergrove still wouldn't turn into a serious Dublin competitor. It appears this thread and also the Harbour one is populated by check-in agents and aerosexuals all desperate to outdo each other on the doom messages regarding Harbour and any business associated with it, its a pity as there can be some quite interesting things posted but you need a fairly robust bullsh*t filter to find them

Panpanpanpan,

I don't think there are any many people on here who feel that a one Belfast Airport strategy would challenge Dublin or turn into a serious Dublin competitor. The collective Belfast airport displayed strong growth overall last year which is welcome, and this year would appear to have the means to deliver an enhanced performance again all welcome.

You have been steadfast in your belief in competition and the working of the free market, this is all sound thinking. For my part I would like to clarify, I am neither anti Flybe (I believe they provide essential and niche services to Belfast and the province) nor am I anti Belfast City Airport, I fly from it frequently and I'd describe it as a great little airport, almost I'd say a boutique airport.

However, like many others I have tried to ask the pertinent questions about the strategic outlook of the airport business in Belfast. It is not unreasonable to discuss this and on this forum we are given an opportunity to do that. Doing such does not make me or many others aerosexuals, armchair whatevers, and nobody on here, no matter how experienced they are, have experience or input into all aspects of this jigsaw.

Nonetheless, it great to see that you are back on the forum, as I remember you were taking a sabbatical if I remember correctly!!

panpanpanpan
3rd Apr 2016, 21:34
I think perhaps I should resume my sabbatical, I'm sure you have been over on the Harbour thread - according to the speculation on there its all going to be a stadium soon.......:ugh:

ILS25
3rd Apr 2016, 22:11
I think perhaps I should resume my sabbatical, I'm sure you have been over on the Harbour thread - according to the speculation on there its all going to be a stadium soon.......:ugh:

I vote for John Lewis

SealinkBF
3rd Apr 2016, 23:35
How can you tell loads from GDS?

It shows max of 9 seats per booking class, and I think for FlyBE, 4.

ie:

LCY BHD C4 J4 D4 I4 L4 N4 O4

etc.

True Blue
4th Apr 2016, 16:04
No it wasn't.

dantheflyboy
4th Apr 2016, 20:03
Panpanpanpan thank you for your reply it did make me smile! I took your comments as banter but see others took exception. Funny how people shout down those comments and yet sit back as airlines get slagged and potentially lose future trade but as long as we don't upset the armchairs lol...:ugh:

BFS BHD
5th Apr 2016, 14:16
Cancun goes on sale for Thomas Cook from Thursday.

BFS Dude
5th Apr 2016, 14:20
Next Ryanair announcement is due within the next 3 weeks.

GAZMO
5th Apr 2016, 15:05
Could be a busy month for announcements. Assume EZY will be putting their winter flights on sometime soon

Any bets on new European Routes from FR or EZY?

EI-BUD
5th Apr 2016, 15:40
I'm guessing Ryanair will want some shorter sectors to fit in around the European flights, make sense in terms of efficiency, hence, the rumours of domestic flights to destinations other than London make sense. I can see EMA being the front runner.

EI-BUD

BFS BHD
6th Apr 2016, 14:41
Departure dates for S17 are:

June: 25th & 29th

July: 2nd, 6th, 9th & 16th

That's two more flights than this summer.

Going to be a good boost in Long Haul flights in S17 with Cancun and Las Vegas starting.

owenc
6th Apr 2016, 17:20
What airline is that?

BFS BHD
6th Apr 2016, 17:24
Oops Thomas Cook.

El Bunto
7th Apr 2016, 09:12
Double-take this morning; wasn't a this-one-is-near 146 arriving but an Il-76! In from Prague apparently.

BFS BHD
8th Apr 2016, 13:16
On sale from Thursday 14th April according to their website. Hopefully we see some new routes!

Flight schedule release dates | easyJet (http://www.easyjet.com/en/schedule-release)

GAZMO
8th Apr 2016, 13:33
Here's hoping.....can't see Lyon coming back next winter as poor LF this past season.

BHD2BFS
8th Apr 2016, 15:07
I'm rather surprised no one has tried Madrid from Belfast surely FR or EZY have that on the cards? Or maybe someone can shed some light as to why they don't?

GAZMO
8th Apr 2016, 15:14
FR still have a couple of slots free on their second based aircraft, Monday and Friday am which would be ideal for city break destination. Personally I think MAD would be three weekly

SecondDog
8th Apr 2016, 15:38
I'm rather surprised no one has tried Madrid from Belfast surely FR or EZY have that on the cards? Or maybe someone can shed some light as to why they don't?

Madrid is a strange one. Doesn't really have the tourism attraction of Barca. Know a few people who have gone but not enjoyed it. Would be nice to see someone give it a go though.

EI-BUD
8th Apr 2016, 17:32
Second dog,
It is interesting you say that. Ihad this very discussion withSpanush friends, as I much prefer Madrid over Barcelona, and go at least one every year. I find Barcelona very tourist orientated but Madrid is a much more authentic city... The discussion was divided!

EI-BUD

mart901
8th Apr 2016, 18:08
I've heard good things about Madrid. The route was talked about as a possible Iberia Express from BHD as a sort of next step for IAG.

GAZMO
10th Apr 2016, 13:41
anyone know why BA flight diverted to BFS this afternoon?

cuthere
10th Apr 2016, 13:49
GAZMO. A cursory glance at the BHD thread would answer your question.

GAZMO
12th Apr 2016, 15:32
I long way off but still nice to see

"Local travellers can now fly direct to exotic Barbados which has been added to the growing list of long haul destinations available from Belfast International Airport. P&O Cruises have announced a 14 night Fly cruise to Barbados on 3rd February 2018 on board the beautiful new ship Britannia"

http://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2016/april/barbados-latest-long-haul-destination

BFS BHD
13th Apr 2016, 10:47
From Timetable:

Alicante - 6 weekly
Dubrovnik - 1 weekly
Faro - Up from 4 to 5 weekly
Fuerteventura - 1 weekly
*NEW ROUTE* Girona - 2 Weekly
Gran Canaria - Up from 1 to 2 Weekly
Ibiza - 3 weekly
Lanzarote - 2 weekly
Palma - Daily
Malaga - 3 Weekly
Mahon - Up from 1 to 2 weekly
Reus - Up from 3 to 4 weekly
Tenerife - 2 weekly
Zante - 1 Weekly

Some routes not bookable yet.

Girona looks to be replacing Murcia.

Alicante 6 weekly with Tuesday service being operated by Alicante B738 based aircraft.

owenc
13th Apr 2016, 11:59
I long way off but still nice to see

"Local travellers can now fly direct to exotic Barbados which has been added to the growing list of long haul destinations available from Belfast International Airport. P&O Cruises have announced a 14 night Fly cruise to Barbados on 3rd February 2018 on board the beautiful new ship Britannia"

Barbados latest long haul destination | Belfast Inte... (http://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2016/april/barbados-latest-long-haul-destination)

Well that's a bit far fetched. One flight a year isn't exactly reliable.

SecondDog
13th Apr 2016, 15:35
Well that's a bit far fetched. One flight a year isn't exactly reliable.

Given how hard it would be to sustain a package holiday trade to the Carribbean from N.I. I think the odd cruise deal or the one offs to Varadero is about as good as that avenue will get unless economy really starts to fly. Still good news for the cruisers who currently have to fly via Uk mainland.

GAZMO
14th Apr 2016, 07:23
EZY lights now on sale for winter 16/17

looks like No change No new routes even Lyon survived!!

GAZMO
14th Apr 2016, 12:03
Again double digit growth at BFS for March

Airport sees strong first quarter passenger growth |... (http://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2016/april/airport-sees-strong-first-quarter-passenger-growth)

BFS BHD
14th Apr 2016, 14:18
Are Thomson planning on operating flights in W16/17? Could be a error but you are able to select dates from 14th December 2016 to 4th January 2017. But no holidays etc are appearing. Most likely a error. :(

AIRPORT66
14th Apr 2016, 15:25
Maybe Thomson are going back to taking seating allocation on Thomascook flights to the canaries in the winter again.

El Bunto
14th Apr 2016, 17:11
Another Il-76 in today, seems to be a Thursday habit! By some miracle it made it onto the airport Twitter feed, in between the usual guff about duty free and car parking

https://mobile.twitter.com/BelfastAirport/status/720579306863374336

No useful info about when it might be leaving, though.

Actually, that's not just a '76TD since it has the big fat PS-90 engines... '76TD-90A?

mart901
14th Apr 2016, 19:27
Yes GAZMO disappointing lack of new routes from EZY but who knows what they may yet pull out of the bag. My gut reaction to FR's route launches was EZY would hold firm, not launch anything and maintain high frequency on LGW, and that's 6 daily this winter including later Sat PM flights to LGW which should please TRUEBLUE.

GAZMO
14th Apr 2016, 19:35
Yes will probably be delightful for all London football fans to be able to do a return trip to support their team

Wonder if Jet2 will add any more? Still two slots available on Tuesdays. Is Pisa not going to return? Congrats to jet2 anyway, 37 weekly flights this summer 41 at moment for next year:D

mart901
14th Apr 2016, 19:36
Girona does appeal!

True Blue
14th Apr 2016, 20:06
"including later Sat PM flights to LGW which should please TRUEBLUE."

Why would this please me since it is later flights ex London that are needed? Maybe you could explain what I am obviously missing.

mart901
14th Apr 2016, 20:10
"including later Sat PM flights to LGW which should please TRUEBLUE."

Why would this please me since it is later flights ex London that are needed? Maybe you could explain what I am obviously missing.

Sorry TB its later ex LGW I meant!

True Blue
14th Apr 2016, 20:15
The last flights out of London are about 6.00 pm, useless for football. Having used Fr last weekend and next weekend at times Ezy do not provide a flight, Fr was/is full. For me, there is demand that ezy, for whatever reason, has decided not to cater for. Sad, as I am a very frequent user of Ezy and I still think they are a better outfit than Fr. But Fr are catching up quickly, look at announcements this week.

GAZMO
14th Apr 2016, 20:20
Just checked the Saturday night flights from LGW. Initially I thought extra flight late back on Saturdays but this is only on the Saturday before Christmas.
Apology to any football supporter

mart901
14th Apr 2016, 20:25
That's so random, that's the Saturday I checked !

cessnarocket
14th Apr 2016, 20:32
Il76 departs Sunday not sure what time . Ryanair route announcements for aircraft 3 and 4 due 4th may word on the street is a further 9 routes for aircraft 3 1st Nov and aircraft 4 Dec

DC9_10
14th Apr 2016, 21:08
Few weeks ago, we were told to tell pax delays were caused by weather at LGW, and most delays were under 3 hours. Just had a day off and catching up on posts. Obviously, that wasent the case. In the out of hours travel office, we rely on info especially when we work from home. CESSNA, I thought the Ryanair base was 3 aircraft's. Is this now increasing to 4. Also a very interesting retweet from British Airways last Sunday to some people who tweeted British Airways, this is where they should be. This was in reference to the afternoon BA divert. BA represented, never say never. MMMMMMM Cryptic me thinks.

cessnarocket
14th Apr 2016, 21:31
Yes 4th aircraft to be based Dec 16 I thought it was announced already ooppss😏

SecondDog
14th Apr 2016, 21:54
Yes 4th aircraft to be based Dec 16 I thought it was announced already ooppss😏

What about 5 and 6?

CCR
14th Apr 2016, 22:00
Fantastic news! It`s a real coup for BFS to have Ryanair. I usually fly EasyJet when I`m flying out of BFS but flew Ryanair last week and I prefer Ryanair.
Onboard catering much nicer than EasyJet.
With all this Ryanair growth, the BHD management must be rueing the day they didn`t keep their word with Ryanair and lengthen the runway.
BHD`s loss is BFS gain!!

GAZMO
14th Apr 2016, 22:11
Any hints on the new FR routes?

BHD2BFS
14th Apr 2016, 22:16
I have heard a rumour that this will be EIs last summer of sun routes from BHD.
Might be a record breaking year next year for BFS if airlines up capacity to cover the loss
Going back to the BA Tweet I don't think they would say something like that without there being some truth

BFS BHD
14th Apr 2016, 22:18
Liverpool is meant to be one of the new routes. Was announced by Liverpools MD on a radio station a few weeks back.

cuthere
14th Apr 2016, 22:33
Awe Jesus. After a period of relative sanity, here we go again with hearsay and supposition. Still, after watching tonight's NI political programming, why would the stench of bulls**t surprise me in this country. I'm glad BA's Twitter operative is kept in the loop when it comes to behind the scenes major decision-making.

cessnarocket
14th Apr 2016, 22:33
Doggy have not heard about 5-6 , I believe aircraft 3 will be for domestics aircraft 4 will be international routes
Ba tweet would not read into this too deeply this is prob because the BHD contract is up shortly . I do believe mr k has offered a deal that can't be beat, this is simply to ensure mr a gets zero revenue from BA
Emirates a strong possibility my source seen them this week 😏

cuthere
14th Apr 2016, 22:39
Cessna, your post reminds me of an email I received from Lagos a while back telling me I had won £5m and all I had to do was provide my bank details.

Emirates. Yeah. Makes sense. Instead of adding a third daily flight to DUB, or wait until the A380 can be accommodated, it'd make more sense to start a route to BFS. Genius. Pure genius.

BHD2BFS
14th Apr 2016, 22:43
The route development fund should hopefully open up a few more routes over the next 12 months which hopefully will benefit both Belfast airports

Would be great to see a Canadian route back on the board

cuthere
14th Apr 2016, 22:45
The route development fund should hopefully open up a few more routes over the next 12 months which hopefully will benefit both Belfast airports

Would be great to see a Canadian route back on the board

I bet Emirates can't wait. Also, I'm delighted to see the humans who live near LDY, that other runway in NI, aren't allowed to benefit from the route development fund.

cessnarocket
14th Apr 2016, 22:49
Cut here I am simply stating facts, like most on here we enjoy seeing Bfs flourish unfortunately you either A you don't or B you have grumpy old man syndrome . I can assure you Emirates were in Bfs this week for three days two days spent in the airport the last day talking to the folks on the hill FACT !
Ryanair are basing 4 aircraft at BFS FACT!

cessnarocket
14th Apr 2016, 22:52
Why should LDY get a share of the fund? It already sucks enough out of the NI public purse

cuthere
14th Apr 2016, 22:53
Cessna. I think Aldergrove is on a par with the contents of your posts. FR basing 40 aeroplanes is entirely possible.

What I find utter bulls**t is that an organisation of the size of BA would tease those who hate BHD with a Twitter tit bit suggesting they're on their way to BFS. "Never say never"!! We'll have Virgin Galactic soon! Can't wait.

As for Emirates. Explain the business logic please, and if you decide to, try to do it in a coherent way. Thank you.

cuthere
14th Apr 2016, 22:56
LDY sucks **** all out of your purse, unless you live in Derry City and Strabane council area. As an aside, the working population in the northwest pay their taxes to Stormont and get f**k all in return in a comparative sense. Derry has some of the best schools in NI. It's a shame you didn't get a chance to attend one of them, Cessna.

SecondDog
14th Apr 2016, 23:00
I heard Emirates were looking round one of the Cargo units though, so that might be a factor.

As for the naysayers regarding BA, I heard it from a BA employee that their superiors would fly to BFS in a heartbeat but then I suppose the extra 20 minutes getting into the city centre would be a real deal breaker...... yawn

cuthere
14th Apr 2016, 23:03
Cargo would make more sense.

In a heartbeat? What's stopping them? 20 minutes to the city centre? Good luck with that.

cessnarocket
14th Apr 2016, 23:04
Business case ! That is between Emirates and BFS management.
Must take note not to have a tipple before I come onto this site,"cut here" insistes on English profecto.
I have only stated facts I do not pretend to be an aviation expert though do have great knowledge.
I do find it very amusing tho to see the likes of my friend "spit the dummy's outta the pram" just because the Main airport of Northern Ireland has finally grew a set

cuthere
14th Apr 2016, 23:08
No Cessna. You HAVEN'T stated facts. You have stated supposition and rumour. Provide me with a believable rumour and I'll tip my hat to you. I'm delighted BFS have grown a pair, but for you to say you're not an expert but yet have great knowledge of aviation is just contradictory bunkum.

However, if you're on the wrong end of half a pint, I'll let you dream on.

Good night.

cessnarocket
14th Apr 2016, 23:10
My guess and only a guess the harp will consolidate ops in Northern Ireland, despite the committed speech this week.
"Cut hear" what was the **** for ? Getting angry ? The use of what I think the stars stood for really is a weakness ! Compose yer self man !

SecondDog
15th Apr 2016, 09:33
Cargo would make more sense.

In a heartbeat? What's stopping them? 20 minutes to the city centre? Good luck with that.

Stopping them? Probably the fact they are a business and they will see what the city offer in comparison to the cut price deal from BFS. My point was that the nonsense you read on here about BA not wanting to move away from the city location etc. is just that... nonsense.

Note please I said 20 extra minutes, as I am sure the trip from BHD in the morning is not instantanious given that the main delays will be in the city traffic. Again,it is all about cost/benefit and BFS isn't as remote as people go on about.

GAZMO
15th Apr 2016, 10:06
For the football fans

Travel Solutions adds extra flights for Euro 2016 | ... (http://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2016/april/travel-solutions-adds-extra-flights-for-euro-2016)

Buc Driver
17th Apr 2016, 16:10
Looks like bfs is going to be busy tomorrow!!!!!!!

GAZMO
17th Apr 2016, 16:47
Any particular reason, apart from being a Monday?

BFS watcher
17th Apr 2016, 18:23
Looks like bfs is going to be busy tomorrow!!!!!!!enlighten us all.....

BFS BHD
17th Apr 2016, 18:55
11 Mil aircraft due in.

EI-BUD
17th Apr 2016, 19:30
Yes BFS BHD,
there were a few unusual visitors on the ground last night when I got in, hercules, perhaps 2 I could see.
What's is with all the visitors? There was also ilyushin il-76 there too, not sure when it arrived, I assume Friday, but it was still there last night at 11pm...

BFS BHD
17th Apr 2016, 19:34
There was 3 C130s in last night. IL-76 is in until its next job comes up.

El Bunto
18th Apr 2016, 11:29
Looks like bfs is going to be busy tomorrow!!!!!!!A pair of USAF Herks have just arrived, apparently another bunch inbound over France.

Though pedantically they're not going to BFS, since that's an IATA code unknown to the USAF...

yeo valley
18th Apr 2016, 16:52
they any thing to do with obama as hes over here this week.

El Bunto
18th Apr 2016, 18:58
Returning homewards from an exercise in Germany, apparently. Stopping by for a bacon soda.

I thought the airport Twitter might at least have had a shot of the ramp groaning under the weight but instead they have a photo of some 'Spring Lemonade'. Oh well.

BFS watcher
19th Apr 2016, 11:29
Belfast to Dubai: Emirates delegation to discuss direct flight - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2016/04/19/news/emirates-delegation-in-belfast-to-discuss-dubai-link-490453/)

True Blue
19th Apr 2016, 11:42
Still might not be enough evidence for Cuthere. Could be a false report.

cuthere
19th Apr 2016, 11:47
Do you reckon journalists read these forums?! My mind immediately goes back to the huge front page spread on the Bel Tel a few years back claiming flights to Qatar were imminent. We're still waiting. Now, perhaps EK have reached the point where they have so many aircraft that flying to two airports 90 miles from each other on a sparsely populated, and in parts dirt poor island off the west of mainland Europe becomes a good idea.

The article says increasing speculation that it is "seriously considering" . That's about as typically vague journalistic speech as you could get.

BFS BHD
19th Apr 2016, 12:27
BFS just put this on twitter!

Anyone feeling adventurous? Give this a visit!

Emirates looking for new cabin crew recruits in Belfast this month https://t.co/BXlkDoGirI

cuthere
19th Apr 2016, 12:35
Aye. They have their recruitment days all over the place (including Cork - how are they getting an A380 in there? As well as Liverpool, oh and Sheffield, whose airport is shut).

Cabin Crew Assessment Days (http://emiratesgroupcareers.com/english/Careers_Overview/cabin_crew/CabinCrewAssessmentDays.aspx)

cessnarocket
19th Apr 2016, 16:37
Great to see my source proved to be fruitful.
Such a shame to see such negativity by a certain poster.
Onwards and upwards for BFS well done, even getting Emirates to talk is a step forward.

GAZMO
19th Apr 2016, 17:36
Hopefully the talks will lead to an announcement!!!

True Blue
20th Apr 2016, 10:25
Seems Fr could be feeding pax onto Norwegian at Lgw from Bfs.

Ryanair in talks to feed passengers to Norwegian carrier - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-in-talks-to-feed-passengers-to-norwegian-carrier-34642763.html)

West Brit
20th Apr 2016, 11:29
What if Nowegian started Bfs with routes across the pond and fed by EZY.

AerRyan
20th Apr 2016, 14:09
But, these talks are with FR, where did you pull EZY out of?

West Brit
20th Apr 2016, 18:07
AerRyan,

Read what I posted:-
What if Nowegian started Bfs with routes across the pond and fed by EZY.

cuthere
20th Apr 2016, 18:59
Hang on. Why would Norwegian start an agreement with EZY to ferry pax to the US via LGW? If BFS is a sensible market for EK, surely there must be a carrier willing to start serving MUCH MORE SENSIBLE destinations such as KBOS, KJFK or KORD, where there are large ex-pat populations?

As such, AA, Delta, EI etc etc all to the US will be mere weeks, worst case scenario, months away. Can't wait!

eastern wiseguy
20th Apr 2016, 20:16
I probably read it wrong...jet lagged at the moment,but,wasn't the thrust of the argument that Norwegian consider BELFAST-US with Easy as the feeder inbound?

cuthere
20th Apr 2016, 20:28
Aye. That's what I thought he meant too, though chose to ignore it as it's even more outlandish than some of the other stuff on here, and instead applied a slightly more logical slant to it. Slightly.....

GAZMO
20th Apr 2016, 20:40
CAA stats out for March, overall very good on domestic front, all up ex BRS. No figures for LGW yet

West Brit
20th Apr 2016, 20:41
Don't expect anything less from Wardolf and Statler!!

EI-BUD
20th Apr 2016, 22:43
True Blue.
Re your post on DY above.. I think the project that the MD was Worthing on was about DY, though now that DOT have permitted DY to launch Ireland US, I'm.not sure where this now would stand. But given the two mentioned airlines are low cost, may make the connections stack up, but I'd say it is some way off if its happens..BUD

BFS BHD
21st Apr 2016, 11:55
Monday:
BFS-IBZ - 07:00-11:00
IBZ-BFS - 12:00-14:05
BFS-BOJ - 15:35-21:25
BOJ-BFS - 22:40-00:45

Tuesday:
BFS-PMI - 05:25-09:25
PMI-BFS - 10:35-12:35
BFS-REU - 14:05-17:40
REU-BFS - 18:40-20:20
BFS-PMI - 21:50-01:50
PMI-BFS - 02:50-04:50

Wednesday:
BFS-MAH - 06:00-09:50
MAH-BFS - 10:50-12:50
BFS-RHO - 14:20-21:00
RHO-BFS - 22:00-00:50

Thursday:
BFS-PMI - 06:00-10:00
PMI-BFS - 11:10-13:10
BFS-ACE - 14:35-18:55
ACE-BFS - 20:05-00:15

Friday:
BFS-REU - 06:00-09:35
REU-BFS - 10:35-12:15
BFS-CFU - 13:40-19:25
CFU-BFS - 20:25-22:20

Saturday:
BFS-PMI - 05:40-09:40
PMI-BFS - 10:50-12:50
BFS-LPA - 14:20-18:50
LPA-BFS - 19:50-00:10

Sunday:
BFS-AGP - 06:30-10:40
AGP-BFS - 11:40-13:55
BFS-TFS - 15:15-19:45
TFS-BFS - 20:55-01:15

Palma increases to 4 weekly, 2 flights on a Tuesday.
New route to Gran Canaria.

GAZMO
21st Apr 2016, 12:15
Certainly working the aircraft on a Tuesday!!!!!

BFS BHD
21st Apr 2016, 14:21
Yup and doesn't get much rest before it has to depart to Menorca on Wednesdays!

Wincing
21st Apr 2016, 14:57
Thats odd, i'm flying with Thomson to Rhodes on a tuesday and not on a wednesday, same flight times though. I'm assuming they're using a Sunwing 737-800 this season again

BFS BHD
21st Apr 2016, 18:01
Thomson is changing from a Tuesday to a Wednesday for Summer 2017, maybe your getting confused with this year?

Wincing
21st Apr 2016, 18:34
Yeah sorry, only just looking back at this and seen your title was for 2017, i'll go sit in the dunce corner :ugh:

BFS BHD
21st Apr 2016, 21:11
Still 3rd May for the next Ryanair announcement?

Wonder how long before Ryanair take over EasyJet with based aircraft!

GAZMO
21st Apr 2016, 21:41
Previous poster had stated a fourth aircraft from December?
Any ideas of routes?
Second aircraft still has slots Monday and Friday am

BFS BHD
21st Apr 2016, 21:55
Well they surprised me last announcement with all the Spain routes, so many Faro or Porto, Brussels, Rome, Warsaw and the the UK routes that's rumoured EMA, LBA, LPL and maybe Bristol?

GAZMO
21st Apr 2016, 22:11
Yes would be nice to see Porto, great city, FCO, BRU etc
Going by Anna.aero web they also suggest BCN though I think that would only be summer seasonal
FAO........may switch from LDY for next summer???

DC9_10
22nd Apr 2016, 06:56
See Katy Best is attending the routes Europe gathering in Krakow this weekend. I wonder is she flying from BFS on EZY. She'll be fuming....add comments.

BFS BHD
24th Apr 2016, 12:17
CAA Stats for Gatwick out now up 28% from last March.
Going to be even bigger increase for April stats!
Gatwick will take over Heathrow for the busiest route from NI in April stats I'm sure!

mart901
24th Apr 2016, 12:38
Undoubtedly LGW will become busiest. No affect to LHR or other LON routes, only LCY slightly down but could be due to the way Easter fell this time. Some great figures on domestics, interesting to see BE's LPL performance and yet no damage to EZY.

BHD2BFS
25th Apr 2016, 14:33
Great to see all of BFS management at Routes Europe with a stand promoting

BFS BHD
25th Apr 2016, 17:52
More good news due soon according to the MD on Twitter!

Just had a great email with more good news #flybfs #teambia #moregrowthmorejobs @BelfastAirport

GAZMO
25th Apr 2016, 18:43
I wonder what it may be??

BHD2BFS
25th Apr 2016, 18:59
More FR routes?
Virgin to Las Vegas?
More Wizzair routes?
Arrival of Emirates?
Canadian route?
BA moving? (Least likely)

Husky One
25th Apr 2016, 19:24
Banksy is going to build Dismaland 2 on the GA apron using old trident fuselages. It'll be staffed by Swissport management and the airport can use it as terminal 2 when he's finished as long as they leave the toilets alone.

SecondDog
25th Apr 2016, 20:04
Banksy is going to build Dismaland 2 on the GA apron using old trident fuselages. It'll be staffed by Swissport management and the airport can use it as terminal 2 when he's finished as long as they leave the toilets alone.

The power of positive thought eh Husky?

BHD2BFS
25th Apr 2016, 20:14
Airport isn't looking as dismal anymore. Travelled through at the weekend and found it a pleasant experience even more so than city
My only negative point is that the entrance doors to the terminal are a bit tired and slow

LAX_LHR
25th Apr 2016, 20:36
As seen as he has had a great email, was it from a Nigerian prince who needs to store his money somewhere, and has given permission for the money to be used in getting new air routes?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

El Bunto
26th Apr 2016, 08:36
I see that the night-mail services will only have runway 25 available for the next few nights, restricted to 1,825 metres and with no ILS on that runway. No centreline lights either! Fun times.

07 closed and no ILS on 25 during the dayimes.

A lot of work going on.

kudosni
26th Apr 2016, 09:14
Airport isn't looking as dismal anymore. Travelled through at the weekend and found it a pleasant experience even more so than city
My only negative point is that the entrance doors to the terminal are a bit tired and slow
and the covered walkway over to the carpark is a disgrace - water runs off it when it rains.

I have the pleasure later on tonight...

The whole front of the place needs a facelift, it just doesn't function properly anymore

eastern wiseguy
26th Apr 2016, 09:39
More than one approach is available for 25,so no ILS is really not a big deal(subject to weather of course) .No doubt WALDO will be along in a minute to correct me....;)

BFS BHD
26th Apr 2016, 11:39
New route to Warsaw announced for Ryanair on Warsaw Airport Twitter page. 2 weekly flights.

RYR4502 BFS-WMI - 08:50-12:40
RYR4501 WMI-BFS - 06:35-08:25

Flights bookable on App and Website.

El Bunto
26th Apr 2016, 11:51
More than one approach is available for 25,so no ILS is really not a big deal(subject to weather of course)Certainly hasn't discouraged a Thomas Cook A330 which has arrived for training. Or perhaps it's why they're here http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

BFS BHD
26th Apr 2016, 12:02
More routes to be announced tomorrow according to Belfast Telegraph website:

A spokesman for Ryanair said: "We're pleased to launch a new Belfast route to Warsaw, operating twice weekly from the winter, and we will be unveiling more exciting news for Belfast on Wednesday."

Ryanair adding fresh Belfast International Airport route to Warsaw - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/ryanair-adding-fresh-belfast-international-airport-route-to-warsaw-34660563.html)

GAZMO
26th Apr 2016, 12:41
Congrats again to BFS, being operated by non based aircraft. Will be an interesting day tomorrow

mart901
26th Apr 2016, 13:28
Oh thats great. More euro routes the better. Did wizz try that one before or was that Gdansk?

GAZMO
26th Apr 2016, 13:53
Yes Wizz did Warsaw and EZY did Gdansk, both twice weekly, but economic times are much better now I think

BHD2BFS
26th Apr 2016, 13:55
I thought Wizzair would have tried another route by now and started to expand also

owenc
26th Apr 2016, 16:05
Great news.

The airport Facebook site though is rather irritating. I've unfollowed them because I'm tired of looking at photos of Easyjet and sunsets. I don't see what's so exciting about an Easyjet plane. They never put up photos of things that are actually you know interesting..

AerRyan
26th Apr 2016, 18:04
I suppose aircraft serving all the non-existent US destinations in which you wish existed are the things you'd like to see?

BFS BHD
26th Apr 2016, 19:39
According to BBC Business Reporter Clodagh Rice on twitter Ryanair are to announce only three routes.

Clodagh Rice ‏@ClodaghLRice 5m5 minutes ago
Clodagh Rice Retweeted Trevor Buckley
I'll be speaking to @Ryanair about 3 new routes they're announcing from @BelfastAirport tomorrow on @BBCgmu

Must be all UK routes at high freq if they are to fill two more aircraft...
Or maybe there will be more announced?? :confused:

belfastmark
26th Apr 2016, 20:02
With the announcement of the new Warsaw route by a non based aircraft and some of the previously announced routes by non based aircraft also the Ryaniar operation looks set to be quite big indeed. If the previous posts of 4 based aircraft are correct that's a hell off a lot of new routes/sectors to be filled. The airport pax numbers will be impressive indeed for 2017.Maybe back to their peak?

mart901
26th Apr 2016, 20:09
To date non of the routes announced are outragously risky or where they are slightly unknown quantities they are low frequency.

BHD2BFS
26th Apr 2016, 21:37
If they do announce domestic which are most likely? I'm thinking
EMA
LBA
CWL
STN
NCL
Maybe PIK if there is a small gap to fill?

AerRyan
26th Apr 2016, 21:39
Won't be PIK anyway sadly.

mart901
26th Apr 2016, 21:41
Quite a few of those are already bases and could possibly support a BFS based a/c to provide frequency. I'm not sure to what extent they will run into EZY territory. I don't think they view BE as a threat, wrongly or rightly.

AirGuru
26th Apr 2016, 21:42
CWL is a decent bet domestically, i'm sure it was rumoured in the original destinations ?

mart901
26th Apr 2016, 21:50
I really can't see it myself. But who knows. Thats the kind of idea they've failed at before and the likes of EIR or BE do much better on. As I've said before going hell for leather against EZY could be a disaster for FR. EZY are so entrenched into the market and are not likely to let go easily. Last time FR failed on domestic. EZY sat still and took a bit of a beating but didn't budge. I also can't see them having much joy with scottish routes which are stacked out frequency wise.

Waldo1
26th Apr 2016, 22:03
No need for the personal digs.....especially when there's so much more interesting chat about new routes etc...

AerRyan
26th Apr 2016, 22:32
Keep in mind too that only TFS is served from CWL, FR may not be willing to put routes into CWL until they get a satisfactory deal.

Jamie2k9
26th Apr 2016, 22:33
As Warsaw wasn't officially launched (in Belfast) more than possible it will be counted as one of the 3.

Going to stop Wizz from growing ex BFS I suspect, I did say it a few months ago!

El Bunto
27th Apr 2016, 06:49
Says owenc:

I don't see what's so exciting about an Easyjet plane.No-one does, but as far as I am aware the airport's social media operations are still outsourced to a local company, so they don't have direct access the more interesting material; only what's forwarded to them or for which they're prompted to ask.

Keeping social media fresh and engaging requires positive effort, whereas many companies regard it as a money-sink and try to spend as little time and money as possible on it. That's a mistake because a stale, boring social media feed shapes many peoples' perceptions of the airport itself.

Which is a shame, because a lot more goes-on at the airport that you'd glean from their Twitter feed.

mart901
27th Apr 2016, 07:03
Apparently Gdansk, Warsaw and Wroclaw.

GAZMO
27th Apr 2016, 07:10
A Polish expansion!!!! Would never have thought of Gdansk and Wroclaw

SecondDog
27th Apr 2016, 09:22
Says owenc:

No-one does, but as far as I am aware the airport's social media operations are still outsourced to a local company, so they don't have direct access the more interesting material; only what's forwarded to them or for which they're prompted to ask.

Keeping social media fresh and engaging requires positive effort, whereas many companies regard it as a money-sink and try to spend as little time and money as possible on it. That's a mistake because a stale, boring social media feed shapes many peoples' perceptions of the airport itself.

Which is a shame, because a lot more goes-on at the airport that you'd glean from their Twitter feed.

Social media is a tool for the super entitled/easily offended to try to swamp the newsfeed or wall or whatever with often unbalanced comment based on their already established preference for another competitor.

I wonder what you expect to see on the twitter page of an airport if not aircraft. I mean you cannot photo a lot of the goings on anyway.

Also, the airport twitter feed to me seems full of aircraft plus commercial stuff highlighting efforts to boost their offering and if you didn't see all the good stuff from Routes over the last few days then you weren't looking.

#StuffAndNonsense

West Brit
27th Apr 2016, 10:09
Gdansk by non Belfast based aircraft. Wroclaw by Bfs based aircraft, is that the 3 aircraft fully utilised?

panpanpanpan
27th Apr 2016, 10:12
I think the social media side of things is actually dealt with very well by Aldergrove, they are very quick to put a positive spin on any good news item at all and seem to be on the ball.
Compare this to the fairly lack lustre and pathetic attempt at social media that Harbour currently exercise! If you go by Harbour twitter team they seem to treat the business like an office environment, only active 9-5 Mon-Fri!:O

I guarantee Aldergrove will have lots of publicity for these new routes on social media and elsewhere, as they should. Its a fantastic achievement for management up there and looks like efforts are being rewarded.:D

El Bunto
27th Apr 2016, 10:34
I wonder what you expect to see on the twitter page of an airport if not aircraft. I mean you cannot photo a lot of the goings on anyway.
Aircraft would be good. There are all sorts of things passing through, from TBMs and Cessnas on delivery to 15 USAF Herks in one week to to oddball freighters. None of that comes through on the airport Twitter, it just looks like a dull empty regional airport with a few low-cost movements per day and a bunch of executives whining for money from Stormont.

They are doing themselves a disservice. Here's an example which they entitled 'busier and busier'. Yes, 16 people at an empty carousel.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BelfastAirport/status/716927440715653120/photo/2

Corporate social media is hard. It's not just about spinning good news, it's about building a brand image and attracting people. Commit to it or don't do it. The question that should be asked is 'Would this post make people want to work here?'.

SecondDog
27th Apr 2016, 10:50
15 usaf hercs. Yes because they would really love to be plastered over social media so that people can start shouting rendition etc. Social media is hard and I agree with the poster above that Aldergrove are going pretty well because,for example, they didn't post that. Shows they have some common sense. As for your link it was a photo of the United and not 16 people at a carousel. Seems like you are just one of the people with your mind already made up. That is your prerogative but it doesn't make you right

mart901
27th Apr 2016, 10:53
These new routes are win win for BFS. Theres no duplication, there is a demand for them, they are euro routes and one is to a capital. Whatever about keeping wizz at bay this is fairly typical FR teritory and will be three less reasons for people to fly from DUB. I believe Wroclaw has beautiful old city centre like Krakow but less well known. Gdansk might be interesting, lot of maritime history.

ESCNI
27th Apr 2016, 11:12
We did have Gdansk before, but easyJet pulled the plug on it.

GAZMO
27th Apr 2016, 11:17
On the BBC website

Ryanair announces new routes from Belfast to Gdansk, Warsaw and Wroclaw - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36148970)

Doesn't state days of frequency of routes

BFS BHD
27th Apr 2016, 11:18
That is only the 2nd based aircraft now filled! Nothing for the 3rd or possibly 4th...

BHD2BFS
27th Apr 2016, 15:09
Great news!
I wonder if the 4 routes to Poland are a quick tactical move by FR to try and stop Wizzair in their tracks before they start to concentrate on the domestic and sun routes

DublinPole
27th Apr 2016, 15:20
There is also local politics in Poland about airport expansion and ownership at play here as well. The starting of new routes to Warsaw, whilst moving Polish domestic routes to Chopin Airport, despite the fact Chopin not wanting them there is part of that.

Basically Modlin is 90% full and the owner of Chopin Airport is trying to take complete control in a bid to what many people see as a chance to stifle the growth of Ryanair in Warsaw which is growing at a huge rate, coupled with Wizz expanding to a smaller degree at Chopin, is not helping LOT at all.

Polish State airports showed little interest in Modlin until in the last 12-18 months they started to have a very sharp rise in passenger numbers at the expense of LOT and other carriers now they want to run both airports in Warsaw, which will be very much to the benefit of those operate at Chopin right now.

Ryanair here are saying, if you don't expand Modlin, we'll just move routes which will hurt you the most to Chopin, whilst the airlines at Chopin are hoping that Modlin and Chopin come under common ownership so the difference between charges at the two airports is reduced and the rate of expansion by Ryanair is reduced to stop Ryanair undercutting them.

Charlie Roy
27th Apr 2016, 17:25
Ryanair here are saying, if you don't expand Modlin, we'll just move routes which will hurt you the most to Chopin

Nice insights DublinPole, thanks!

DublinPole
27th Apr 2016, 17:38
Chopin Airport have now come out with a statement, translated into English it basically says: "Chopin Airport is a public use airport, which obliges us to handle all carriers on an equal basis, subject to availability so. slots or hours of take-offs and landings. Ryanair's decision did not require any consultation with the airport managing body and does not require signing any contracts. We are not striving for these calls and we do not foresee their financing"

Basically it's hardly a ringing endorsement of Ryanair starting up service there. But it gives you an insight into the current state of play with Ryanair and airports in Warsaw. Modlin is virtually full. The owners of Chopin Airport part own Modlin and want to purchase an overall stake. Ryanair believes their reasons for that are to try and stop the growth of Ryanair in Warsaw which is one of their fastest growing bases, since with the current ownership, the owners of Chopin Airport are fighting Modlin's much lower rates head to head. Ryanair signed a 10 year deal with Modlin a couple of years ago in relation to rates, therefore they cannot hike up the price Ryanair are paying.

The only way that effectively LOT and other carriers can stop Ryanair's growth in Warsaw is by limiting airport capacity and obviously with Ryanair not wanting to switch to Chopin because it's much higher cost base, if Chopin Airport also owns Modlin Airport, they become in a position where they are able to have more control over that than they do at the moment.

Ryanair knows that it cannot increase flights much in Modlin because the infrastructure is close to being maxed out in terms of security and baggage handling and gates at peak times. Without moving these domestic calls it is doubtful that they could start these new routes to Warsaw because the airport couldn't cope unless expanded. Removing 4 flights a day is allowing these new routes to be started.

The next logical step insiders are telling me to aid further expansion at Modlin in 2017 if capacity expansion is not forthcoming and they don't get a good deal out of Chopin Airport is to move some of the business oriented capacity and flights from Modlin to Chopin in addition to the domestic calls. They will then add extra leisure traffic at Modlin and then start transferring domestic passengers to more European Ryanair business orientated destinations currently served from Modlin.

That is something that really would hit LOT and this is merely Ryanair showing their cards to Polish State Airports that if they can't get the capacity they need in Modlin, they can always move selected capacity to Chopin, that will hit LOT the most.

This is not directly related to Wizz

mart901
27th Apr 2016, 19:03
Interesting just listened to a podcast with the head of marketing at FR, he was talking up the fact BFS will be their fastest growing european base and they envisage it being a very significant one, apparently they fly over 1 million NI based people through DUB each year and they see Belfast as underserved. I take a lot of FR's statements with healthy pinches of salt but this looks positive. It's exciting seeing multiple route launches each time as opposed to one here and there!

Jamie2k9
27th Apr 2016, 19:12
DublinPole

Two birds, one stone.....just like Cork same will likely happen here in time.

Mart901

You know its his job to talk things up, he is hardly going to say anything negative. The same lines are rolled out across Europe!

GAZMO
27th Apr 2016, 22:14
From Cardiff thread
FR BFS to CWL??

EI-BUD
27th Apr 2016, 22:34
http://https://thetravelnewsblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/belfast-to-dubai-emirates-discuss-direct-flight/

I happened upon this link today. Not entirely sure which poster had this story at an early stage, but it would appear that they were a reliable source. I'll be keeping any eye on his/her contributions in future. You really do have to hand it to the new MD, he really does seem to be making all of the right noises.

EI-BUD

BFS BHD
27th Apr 2016, 22:44
Link isn't working.

EI-BUD
27th Apr 2016, 23:01
https://thetravelnewsblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/belfast-to-dubai-emirates-discuss-direct-flight/

West Brit
28th Apr 2016, 06:32
Emirates visit, obviously they are just milking us for a free hospitality trip, as the Dubliners have made it perfectly clear that Emirates and others will never operate here.

El Bunto
28th Apr 2016, 07:15
Freebird A320 in and out this morning, nothing on the flight info pages so presumably a one-off charter.

cessnarocket
28th Apr 2016, 07:21
Fresh batch of refugees

El Bunto
28th Apr 2016, 08:50
Cheers! It was actually its absence from the flight listings that made me interested in it.. sometimes the best way to hide things is in plain sight.

I don't know why airports spend so much time editing-out things received in the FIDS feed.

cuthere
28th Apr 2016, 10:51
Emirates visit, obviously they are just milking us for a free hospitality trip, as the Dubliners have made it perfectly clear that Emirates and others will never operate here.

Waldo, I'm certainly not a Dubliner. Rather, I am someone who fails to see the business sense in EK operating flights from both BFS and DUB. That is no insult to you and your love of the Harp Shed, but instead a genuine opinion. Furthermore, didn't we get to the bottom of why they were in town? Or did you just ignore that bit? Also, the link EI-BUD posted was to an article which was a rehash of the Irish News article.

You likely missed that one, and as both articles are full of empty supposition, I will take the idea of an EK flight with a pinch of salt. I'm still waiting for the ME flights so loudly heralded by the Bel Tel a while back: Northern Ireland may secure direct flight connecting Belfast to Abu Dhabi - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-may-secure-direct-flight-connecting-belfast-to-abu-dhabi-28742897.html)

There's not much reference to that article on here, four years later.

mart901
28th Apr 2016, 11:59
cuthere

I see the point and fully understand it. I respect it also. But I totally disagree. Who would have dreamt how many regional UK airports would see successful Emirates and other services. It's like saying why have any transatlantic operations at all from NI. You have to dream bigger at times. Yes I appreciate our population is small but it's not the only factor. Amongst other things why should DUB have all and NI be like the poor relation. Was talking to someone just recently who's off to PMI and driving to DUB to do so despite how competitive and frequent it is from both Belfast airports, and the attitude was a shrugged shoulder when I asked why? Our airports and government needs to challenge this. Just think how much revenue and tax we are missing out on. This is where despite my feelings towards FR I welcome them and the business they are generating and opening up markets.

owenc
28th Apr 2016, 12:07
Emirates has launched flights everywhere. I don't see why they wouldn't launch Belfast.

I their smallest plane is a little too big for our market though.

cuthere
28th Apr 2016, 12:33
Mart, you were doing well until the "why should DUB get everything" bit. That's like Stansted crying about Heathrow. DUB is, was and always will be the dominant airport on this island. It's not about divvying up sweeties between kids. It's hard business, and comparing the economically barren (by any measure) Northern Ireland with any of the other regions they fly from really is naive (that's long before we include population).

Have a look at the Emirates thread. There's a chap on there who regularly lists where the next routes are, frequency and aircraft type. If BFS is to get EK, it'll be on there first.

GAZMO
28th Apr 2016, 12:38
Quote fro the BT today

"Ryanair says bookings for the initial seven routes have been strong, while the new regular Gatwick route is also busy"

Looks promising!!

El Bunto
28th Apr 2016, 13:53
Bright-red BAS Twin Otter will be staging through early this evening en route to Duxford. Worth a gander if you're passing by.

Update: arrived 15:50, staying overnight.

BFS BHD
28th Apr 2016, 14:05
Ryanair will be launching more new routes for Summer 2017 in September according to NI Travel News!

Even better news for Northern Ireland travellers and Belfast International Airport is that the Ryanair growth will continue, with or without local government support, and the airline intends to announce more new routes (to start in summer 2017) in September.

Up to 40 New Routes Could Come to Belfast - Ryanair (http://www.nitravelnews.com/news-stories/1775-up-to-40-new-routes-could-come-to-belfast-ryanair.html)

Edit- Still only 2 based aircraft are needed still for Winter 2016/17... I'm guessing they will be back soon to announces routes for the 3rd aircraft. As they are saying that it will be 3 based aircraft for winter 2016/17..

AerRyan
28th Apr 2016, 19:57
Up to 40?

Laughable :p:p

GAZMO
28th Apr 2016, 20:42
Aer Ryan
Don't laugh too soon!! If you said that last year I might have laughed with you
11 routes so far with two based aircraft and with the third aircraft routes still to come and strong rumours of a fourth aircraft you never know........maybe 30?

BFS watcher
28th Apr 2016, 20:45
Up to 40?

Laughable :p:p

Easy have 27 Jet2 have 20......so Europe's largest airline could do 40 easily.......laughable I think not.

OltonPete
28th Apr 2016, 22:00
Excellent news re the new routes but a few words of caution.

Although not direct from the horses mouth at the time but the BBC.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | West Midlands | Ryanair to open Birmingham base (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7188963.stm)

8 years on and nowhere near 10 based, it has only just got back to four in summer and still three in winter. I actually thought the BBC were quoting from an official press release. At least they are adding away based flights at BHX and I am sure BFS will do just fine.

Pete

adfly
28th Apr 2016, 22:03
The promised 4-5 based in BOH hasn't exactly happened either, they don't even base 1 all year!

mart901
28th Apr 2016, 22:03
Don't joke. Belfast is the second biggest population centre on this island, you can easily offer 30 - 40 routes, they don't all have to be mega frequency, 2 - 3 weekly and many could be with non based aircraft. FR have that many bases, all the canaries, main sunshine spots across the med, Greek islands, Malta, Scandinavia. I think its taken a lot of people by surprise the number of routes they have launched with so few aircraft and so few in direct competition with other carriers. I am unusually optimistic about FR's arrival. It really could turn things round for aviation and tourism, and as has been mentioned in a lot of write ups it needn't be a bloodbath it may well result in other carriers coming in. Just look at somewhere like LTN for instance where Vueling and Thomas Cook have boldly arrived in what was considered pretty much EZY territory. Just think if just 1/2 of those NI based 1 million+ pax who currently use FR from DUB were to use BFS what the effect would be.

Waldo1
28th Apr 2016, 22:05
Waldo?...think it was west Brit, not me that should have been aimed at 😬

mart901
28th Apr 2016, 22:07
And yes OltonPete I totally agree and have made the point about BHX myself previously, to be fair if we landed up with just 3 - 4 a/c and 20+ routes like BHX that would be fairly amazing for here where one new route causes a fanfare let alone 11!

AerRyan
28th Apr 2016, 22:48
You don't seem to know Ryanair.

They will ONLY ever get NEAR 40 if EZY step up to 40 first.

West Brit
29th Apr 2016, 04:32
Waldo1,

Didn't want to mention that as the poor chap gets so worked up on grammar he misses the bigger picture. Always has been the case.

cuthere
29th Apr 2016, 05:42
When it comes to you two, there's an old saying normally reserved for politicians: different ar$e, same smell.

Now, back to the books for both of you. The grammar and spelling has improved, but both of you ladies could do better ;-)

All names taken
29th Apr 2016, 09:21
Just think if just 1/2 of those NI based 1 million pax who currently use FR from DUB were to use BFS what the effect would be.

Well I have been thinking hard and thanks to the wonder of mental arithmetic I came up with the figure of 500,000 extra passengers.
(Sorry couldn't resist that)

West Brit
29th Apr 2016, 09:36
Well I have been thinking hard and thanks to the wonder of mental arithmetic I came up with the figure of 500,000 extra passengers.
(Sorry couldn't resist that)

Sorry, but would 500,000 extra passengers travelling actually mean 1,000,000 extra seats in reality?

El Bunto
29th Apr 2016, 09:59
Twin Otter away at 10:00 this morning. Back to the more usual shade of orange now.

BFS BHD
3rd May 2016, 23:31
Milan is off sale for Ryanair its saying sold out for all dates. Could this mean they are not going to operate the route now or is there another announcement very soon and maybe they are changing times etc for Milan?

West Brit
4th May 2016, 06:26
I checked a couple of dates in September, November and March, all sold out. However there are bookable seats on 7th January. Maybe they are being snapped up!!

HH6702
4th May 2016, 06:29
Ryanair only on sale until March 2017??

GAZMO
4th May 2016, 07:31
When I checked the Polish routes for over Xmas the return leg was showing fully booked.
Either very busy or a blimp

GAZMO
4th May 2016, 07:46
From BFS website, 16% increase in passenger numbers for April

eastern wiseguy
4th May 2016, 10:15
It'll take ages to fly to Ireland from Poland in a blimp......;)

owenc
4th May 2016, 10:28
*Northern Ireland.

eastern wiseguy
4th May 2016, 18:14
It'll still take ages....

BFS watcher
4th May 2016, 18:17
The big question is when will BA start....winter 16 or summer 17

cuthere
4th May 2016, 18:44
Start what?

West Brit
4th May 2016, 19:16
BA won't arrive until there is a dedicated air bridge.

The96er
4th May 2016, 19:35
BA won't arrive until there is a dedicated air bridge.

BA are quite happy to operate without an airbridge.

PPRuNeUser0176
4th May 2016, 19:35
FR don't release a few days around Christmas/NY until later in summer.

West Brit - BA no longer use air bridges at DUB for LHR flights

EGAC is Better
4th May 2016, 21:48
BA are quite happy to operate without an airbridge.

I don't imagine that going down well with BA frequent fliers who currently have a nice, dedicated lounge and very short (warm and dry) walk to the aircraft at City.

For the price premium paid to fly BA to Heathrow, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to stay dry and not have to brave the apron on a cold, wet winter's night at Aldergrove.

That said, if I'm paying £40 for a flight, I don't mind getting wet on my way to the aircraft.

On the domestic side, where could you even put another airbridge if required? The BA stand from many years ago is gone with no easy way for that to return. The gate area around where BD used to have an airbridge is now shops/eateries.

BFS watcher
4th May 2016, 21:55
There is supposedly a plan to put an airbridge from the viewing gallery which will also be the new BA lounge, Swissport management have been asked to comment on where they want the boarding card readers etc.

BHD2BFS
4th May 2016, 22:05
BA no longer think about an air bridge like they used to, it's all about quick turnarounds. You only use an air bridge at BHD depending on where you sit. When I have flown out the last few times with BA it has been in the back half of the aircraft so I've had to go downstairs and then brace outdoors and I definitely paid more than £40. I'm sure Swissport could supply a few air steps with roofs on them

El Bunto
5th May 2016, 14:16
Silkway Il-76 arrived this afternoon, impressive-looking machine. Leaving this evening.

EGAC is Better
5th May 2016, 19:00
Interesting stuff. Maybe I'm being a princess but if was chucking it down outside and BA tried to put me outside when there was a perfectly dry route onto the aircraft I'd politely assert that I'll take the dry route thank you very much.

Cheers BFS Watcher and BHD2BFS.

owenc
5th May 2016, 19:04
Are you a superior being?

EI-BUD
5th May 2016, 19:23
Question for those who know the answer.. Beside at 18, where once upon stood a jetty that British Midland used, seems to be having small amount of construction work... It was fenced off when I was flying out this morning. What's happening there?

BFS watcher
5th May 2016, 19:43
Upgrade to the toilet block at Gate 18 supposedly opening sometime in June

EGAC is Better
5th May 2016, 22:23
Are you a superior being?

Nope. Far from it. In that particular example I would just prefer to stay dry to avoid spending a hour in an allumium tube sitting in wet clothes.

belfastmark
7th May 2016, 14:11
Checked the app, Milan still not on sale! So think we could rule out a blip? Been like for days. Strange one. They wouldn't pull the route before it even starts surely?

BFS Dude
7th May 2016, 14:20
Another announcement is due, so maybe off sale until the announcement. Possibly adding another weekly flight?

GAZMO
7th May 2016, 14:53
Any idea when next FR announcement is going to be?

BFS BHD
7th May 2016, 15:01
Should be in the next few weeks. :)

ILS25
8th May 2016, 19:21
BA no longer think about an air bridge like they used to, it's all about quick turnarounds. You only use an air bridge at BHD depending on where you sit. When I have flown out the last few times with BA it has been in the back half of the aircraft so I've had to go downstairs and then brace outdoors and I definitely paid more than £40. I'm sure Swissport could supply a few air steps with roofs on them

I see Graham Keddie has tweeted that they are looking at installing more airbridges.

GAZMO
8th May 2016, 21:18
Interesting!, can't see EZY, LS or FR interested in airbridges.........wonder who the airbridges might be for??

BFS BHD
9th May 2016, 12:45
Wonder will the Ryanair announcement be this week? :)

West Brit
9th May 2016, 12:50
How come the Milan flights were available, in early January, to book as of yesterday?

BFS BHD
9th May 2016, 13:18
How come the Milan flights were available, in early January, to book as of yesterday?

Looking on the website flights to Milan are bookable only on Saturdays from 4th January to 25th March. What's going on? :confused:

BFS watcher
11th May 2016, 06:28
Looks like the illegals are starting to get a hard time.

Illegal car park operator Karl hit with record £25,000 fine - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2016/05/11/news/illegal-car-park-operator-karl-hit-with-record-25-000-fine-516156/)

AerRyan
11th May 2016, 07:10
Milan could be chopped a little, it wouldn't strike me as the most winter friendly route.

As for this supposed third announcement coming "soon", I'd be doubtful. Ryanair don't always live up to their " promises of new routes" and I hope BFS doesn't have to learn this the hard way.

True Blue
11th May 2016, 09:15
So BFS -Lgw saw an increase of 85% last month against April 2015.Quite an increase.

BFS BHD
11th May 2016, 10:49
Where did you get the infomation from True Blue?

mart901
11th May 2016, 12:31
EasyJet reports losses of £24m as Belfast travellers on Paris route fall by 2% - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/easyjet-reports-losses-of-24m-as-belfast-travellers-on-paris-route-fall-by-2-34703114.html)

PPRuNeUser0176
11th May 2016, 15:00
Looking on the website flights to Milan are bookable only on Saturdays from 4th January to 25th March. What's going on?

Perhaps going after ski market, worth known BGY was unworkable year round ex NOC or ORK and while it was at SNN it was back in mid 2000's. I'm not sure why Belfast would be any different.

West Brit
11th May 2016, 16:41
Are you for real, comparing Belfast to Cork, Shannon or Knock?

AerRyan
11th May 2016, 16:42
The knock is a bit far fetched alright.

PPRuNeUser0176
11th May 2016, 16:51
Are you for real, comparing Belfast to Cork, Shannon or Knock?

Why not Cork, simple fact is the Wed and Sat is useless for weekend breaks, business travelers and do we really see lots of tourists coming to Belfast in winter.

Not to forget you have a 2 daily BGY ex DUB, 1 daily LIN, and up to daily MXP ex DUB.

If it does operate it will be a one winter service only.

It's the only route from BFS which appears to have been poorly taught out, buck/spade and eastern Europe are workable any day and they have made an effort with Berlin to work for things such as weekend breaks etc.

owenc
11th May 2016, 16:58
Belfast covers a population of 2 million not 500,000.

benjyyy
11th May 2016, 17:38
Belfast covers a population of 2 million not 500,000.

2 million? You're having a laugh.

eastern wiseguy
11th May 2016, 17:44
The population of NI in 2011 was 1.811 million. OwenC tends not to be the brightest little star in the firmament.

panpanpanpan
11th May 2016, 18:41
Maybe owenc hasn't covered local geography yet for his upcoming GCSEs.

I haven't seen any figures regarding the increase in Gatwick figures but it doesn't take an expert to figure out its going to get a massive boost, no competition from Harbour combined with lots of introductory Ryanair offers plus I would imagine Easy have made their own fares more competitive to match Ryanair as well. The question is who will blink first?

One thing I have found recently using Skyscanner to book flights, its very easy (no pun intended) to have a very flexible return from Aldergrove to London and I think this will be a massive attraction to customers no matter whether business or leisure. Harbour have their work cut out with just two very expensive London options for Heathrow and London City to get anywhere close to both price and choice of flights.

I thought it was interesting that Easy make up 85% of Aldergrove business, thats a very big risk to bring in another airline that will give them such a hard time regardless of how quickly Easy dismiss the threat. I wonder will Ryanair deliver or simply drive passenger figures up but not really contribute significantly to the balance sheet.:ooh:

mart901
11th May 2016, 18:55
Look at it this way. Every extra passenger has the opportunity to spend money in the retail and catering outlets, the more they take the more rent the airport can justify, the more money in turn they are liable to be lent by banks for improvement works and expansion potentially in the future. Its also landing fees income, parking revenues etc.

BHD does need a wider spread of LON routes and some cheaper options would be good, and yes to answer your point panpan EZY have cut fares on all routes into LON especially LGW, EI have come down by about £15 on a return into LHR and EZY can be under the £40 return mark for LGW, I don't think either will pull out.....too lucrative.

panpanpanpan
11th May 2016, 19:11
Mart, points noted. I can remember some time ago chatting to a Ryanair manager at a function and discussing how they managed routes to be kept, expanded or chopped. He simply said that the lowest routes were chopped at a review, not necessarily routes that were making losses, just routes that weren't making as much as forecast and where an aircraft could be better utilised elsewhere with more potential profit then decision made.

I can only assume Easy operate to a similar model? If this is the case then is there a potential for the Aldergrove - Gatwick route for example to get to a point where it is still profitable but not delivering as much as another route that could use an extra aircraft? Easy is not there to deliver primarily convenience, it is there purely to make money as is any business. There has to be a break point for any airline operating any route, the question is, is the market big enough to continue with the current capacity/over capacity or will something have to give. What if Ryanair were to increase capacity on Gatwick and start a Stansted or a Luton as well, is there enough traffic for everybody to make massive profits that their shareholders will expect?

Husky One
11th May 2016, 19:39
EasyJet have committed resources to fight Ryanair on the LGW route. They are already better on price which suggests they mean business. Ultimately the number of flights to LGW will reflect only what the market can sustain and the £10 fares will disappear.
I see Citywing are opening a base in NI. BHD or LDY? Small in the grand scheme of things but still progress.

flying officer kite
11th May 2016, 21:03
I see Citywing are opening a base in NI. BHD or LDY? Small in the grand scheme of things but still

Are they? I didn't know that

El Bunto
12th May 2016, 08:45
On recent bookings I haven't seen much evidence of Easyjet weakening their margins to compete on the Gatwick run.

Just booking for post-12th-July travel and they're coming in at over twice the price for Ryanair, comparing the 20:00 nose-to-tail departures ( £28 versus £13 ). For £2 more than Easy squeezy-class I could book Ryanair Business Plus.

Still ridiculously cheap compared to 1990s fare levels but I don't think Easy are planning on competing on price. Which is a shame because we book with them, but good in that they're not going to bleed on the route.

~~
RAF Tornado parked at present, arrived last night and due out mid-morning Monday. PR visit.

mart901
12th May 2016, 09:15
Not a huge lot of info but something to chew over;

We're off to the piste as easyJet plans new ski route from Belfast - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2016/05/11/news/we-re-off-to-the-piste-as-easyjet-plans-new-ski-route-from-belfast-516106/)

GAZMO
12th May 2016, 11:38
I don't think EZY are having the same number of flights to Geneva this coming winter, so probably spare capacity for a weekly flight to another Ski destination. Surprised they said Lyon was very good as from looking at CAA stats not that impressive

Husky One
12th May 2016, 22:27
Easyjet cheaper than Ryanair to and from LGW this weekend. Looks like price competition to me.
Here's the Citywing link:
https://www.facebook.com/VanairCharters
Also listed on AviationJobs.Me Flight Crew (http://www.aviationjobs.me)

EI-BUD
12th May 2016, 23:43
NI, I'm guessing they'll go after LDY DUB.. They've done bhd base before when Cork operated...

cuthere
13th May 2016, 00:16
NI, I'm guessing they'll go after LDY DUB.. They've done bhd base before when Cork operated...

EI-BUD, yeah, DUB and IOM were announced at the end of last year, after LDY-DUB was successful in its bid to get Gov funding. It was supposed to start in April, but LDY Twitter says it is now starting "early summer". No doubt to much fanfare.

BFS BHD
15th May 2016, 19:48
Wonder is Liverpool still to be announced for Ryanair from BFS? I remember reading somewhere that Liverpool Airport MD was on a radio station and told them that he was expecting Ryanair to announce LPL-BFS?

GAZMO
15th May 2016, 20:42
We are still waiting on the third FR aircraft announcement......hopefully very soon
I assume the flights tomorrow to Valladolid and Cork are charters?

FRatSTN
15th May 2016, 20:48
I know it's early days but looks like BE might be dropping BHD - LPL from beginning of February 2017 as all other routes have now gone on sale until to end of March. Perhaps they're waiting to see if FR announce something?

GLAinsider
15th May 2016, 23:06
I see FR now have BFS-TFS and BFS-ACE on sale. Does anyone know if there are any plans to add FUE and LPA?

garybell
16th May 2016, 13:11
Just Curious but Titan 767 looks like its going to Cork. Anyone know who's on board ?

BFS BHD
16th May 2016, 13:50
I heard it was the Star Wars cast. Filming in Ireland I think.

eastern wiseguy
16th May 2016, 17:38
It was.....and one of our controllers was across getting a pic with Skywalker himself.:ok:

BFS BHD
17th May 2016, 14:45
Milan-Bergamo still off sale except for Saturdays from January 2017... are they just going to keep it as a ski route from January-March 2017 and replace it with something else from September 2016-January 2017??

AerRyan
17th May 2016, 15:01
Nope, nothing else will arrive for winter 2016/17, that's the final schedule. That's the current plan anyway.

BFS BHD
17th May 2016, 15:11
So what has happened to the 3rd aircraft that they are said was coming in October? Current schedule only shows 2 aircraft needed... :confused:

GAZMO
17th May 2016, 15:18
With the fifth flight to LGW in the autumn is this going to be a non based aircraft?
Timings show its Belfast based

GAZMO
17th May 2016, 15:43
BT travel supplement at the weekend was showing September flights to Lake Garda via Bergamo with Ryanair. Also have seen 3/4 day city breaks to Milan again using Ryanair from BFS

BFS BHD
17th May 2016, 18:19
The extra Gatwick flight operates between international flights, this is a Monday:

BFS-WRO 06:20-09:55
WRO-BFS 10:20-11:55
BFS-LGW 12:30-13:50
LGW-BFS 14:15-15:45
BFS-ALC 16:40-20:35
ALC-BFS 21:10-23:10

AerRyan
17th May 2016, 18:38
Seems you believe too much that comes from M'OL.

Look at this article from over a year ago : O'Leary no fool as Ryanair announces more routes from Shannon | The Clare People (http://www.clarepeople.com/2014/12/04/oleary-no-fool-as-ryanair-announces-more-routes-from-shannon/)

So where are those routes from Shannon? Imagine, the great M'OL breaking a promise!

Ryanair adds five new Cork routes to eastern Europe (http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-adds-five-new-cork-routes-to-eastern-europe-1.529307)

Apparently Ryanair replicated Wizz Air's exact routes because they wanted to lower prices, not to kick Wizz off the routes at all. Can you imagine also the ex Deputy CEO could also lie?
Its extremely unlikely that a third aircraft will be at BFS this winter.

GAZMO
17th May 2016, 18:42
Thanks BFSBHD for clarification