PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

AerRyan
25th Feb 2016, 15:51
They can expand with the APD, but could expand alot more rapidly without it. They cannot just stop expansion in the UK and let their competitors take over completely.

mart901
25th Feb 2016, 16:38
Put simply they are less able to below cost sell £9.99 seats to remove the competition.

BFS watcher
26th Feb 2016, 08:42
Looks like Aer Lingus off again as their deal runs out at BHD. Not much commitment to Belfast then! Good luck to the crews and staff and good riddance to EI.

Jobs fear for Aer Lingus staff in Belfast - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2016/02/26/news/jobs-fear-for-aer-lingus-staff-in-belfast-431091/)

EI-A330-300
26th Feb 2016, 08:49
It was expected, they are not going to kepp a set of full time crew and paying them to do nothing in winter. They will recruit seasonally.

The relevance to BFS?

cessnarocket
26th Feb 2016, 09:46
It was expected, they are not going to kepp a set of full time crew and paying them to do nothing in winter. They will recruit seasonally.

The relevance to BFS?
The relevance is when an airline is stolen from an airport unfairly (we all know the story by now) well then yes it would be justifiable just to be a little smug when it all goes sour.
Feel sorry for the staff, perhaps they can apply for one of the many jobs at Bfs.

GAZMO
26th Feb 2016, 10:45
I think EI case for moving was that passengers preferred BHD.....maybe not

Jamie2k9
26th Feb 2016, 10:48
Stolen? Really, prehaps lay blame with incompetent BFS Management, had the current ones been in place it could of been a different story.

How have things gone sour at BHD?

Things are all good for BFS now, it wont last

Many jobs at Belfast, such media rubbish the net jobs gain will be far below what was announced. Anybody can see it and the media department got very creative with numbers and jobs directly related.

GAZMO
26th Feb 2016, 11:04
Jaime

You are partially correct in your statement (in my opinion)

Yes the previous management at BFS I believe should have done more to keep EI, but moving 15 miles to another airport "because customers prefer its location" we know was "we got a better deal at BHD" If we look at caa stats for January London routes decline, BFS all London routes increase. This I think proves that for the majority of NI pax the location of airport is irrelevant. Price is what is important

Unless EI start something for the winter 16/17 there will only be 3 daily services to LHR by EI......yes that will mean potential job losses or relocation.

Just my opinion

SecondDog
26th Feb 2016, 12:33
There is a lot of talk about incompetent mgmt at BFS and how the new ones are much better....

... it is the same people with support from a new owner.

As for EI leaving, mgmt couldn't have done much because they were offered a much better deal by BHD and the ownership of BFS didn't let the local mgmt do anything. Odd but true!

eastern wiseguy
26th Feb 2016, 12:39
No....it is the same people with a new MD. There is a radical difference when a new person comes in. I believe that this is obvious from the results so far.

Jamie2k9
26th Feb 2016, 12:45
Jaime

You are partially correct in your statement (in my opinion)

Yes the previous management at BFS I believe should have done more to keep EI, but moving 15 miles to another airport "because customers prefer its location" we know was "we got a better deal at BHD" If we look at caa stats for January London routes decline, BFS all London routes increase. This I think proves that for the majority of NI pax the location of airport is irrelevant. Price is what is important

Unless EI start something for the winter 16/17 there will only be 3 daily services to LHR by EI......yes that will mean potential job losses or relocation.

Just my opinion

You are all looking into the CAA stats for January way to much. There are lots of factors which could be behind the increase ex BFS of LON traffic and none related to either airport directly.

They will unlikely add anything during winter so just LHR, no big deal.

There is a lot of talk about incompetent mgmt at BFS and how the new ones are much better....

... it is the same people with support from a new owner.

As for EI leaving, mgmt couldn't have done much because they were offered a much better deal by BHD and the ownership of BFS didn't let the local mgmt do anything. Odd but true!

Fair enough about owner/management however really good deal at BHD or not then overall profitability of BFS base would come into question. Canary routes are the only loss to EI's operation therefore they were not making enough money ex BFS.

SecondDog
26th Feb 2016, 15:03
No....it is the same people with a new MD. There is a radical difference when a new person comes in. I believe that this is obvious from the results so far.

Tomaytoe, tomahtoe. New MD was brought in by new owners and instills their strategy and expectation. So the change has been ownership related as I said. The new MD is just the embodiment of it but he isn't doing everything on his own

VentureGo
27th Feb 2016, 11:31
United 76 has diverted back to UK and is circling above Liverpool bay before heading to Manchester (FR24)

chaps1954
27th Feb 2016, 11:48
Hydraulics problem, down OK and now going on stand

Ian

GAZMO
29th Feb 2016, 07:39
Looks like Thursday for route announcement

Michael O'Leary to unveil latest Ryanair plan for Belfast expansion - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/michael-oleary-to-unveil-latest-ryanair-plan-for-belfast-expansion-34494413.html)

mart901
29th Feb 2016, 16:37
What does anyone make of the Jan figures for EWR? 4203 on 3x weekly. I can't remember back 2 years ago what Jan figures were like.

EK77WNCL
29th Feb 2016, 17:00
So was there 13 flights in January? Not sure on days of operation, but if there was... I make a 95.6% LF

Not bad like!

BFS watcher
29th Feb 2016, 17:49
We should be running a sweepstake on the FR routes. Almost worthwhile turning up to watch Mr O Leary in action!

GAZMO
29th Feb 2016, 17:59
Well apart from Milan I will go for
BCN, BRU, Berlin, LBA, EMA, NCL

AIRPORT66
29th Feb 2016, 19:51
Think i will go for,SXF,BCN,BRU,EMA,LBA.

BFS BHD
29th Feb 2016, 22:21
Ryanair’s new Northern Ireland’s base is in the final stages of preparation at Belfast International Airport.

Builders, electricians and painters have created new, essential space for the airline in time for the commencement of operations at the end of March.

There’s a new training room, spacious facilities for crews and revamped space in the General Aviation Terminal to accommodate Ryanair’s engineering and storage needs.

More Here: Paving the way for Ryanair arrival | Belfast Interna... (http://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2016/february/paving-the-way-for-ryanair-arrival)

mart901
29th Feb 2016, 22:32
NCL/EMA/LBA/SXF/BGY

I can't see more than 2 euro routes. I think 5 in total, 3 of which will be BE destroyers. The other thought could be a canaries route as the sunshine option, a good one to launch for winter and could easily be achieved by a non based a/c. I'd seriously question the long term viability of the UK routes, more likely they will evolve into MAN/BHX/STN as they gain momentum, those routes could more easily sustain 738 capacity. They will have a long term strategy and without being too negative it may not be remaining in the NI market.

Jamie2k9
29th Feb 2016, 23:04
Ryanair’s new Northern Ireland’s base is in the final stages of preparation at Belfast International Airport.

Builders, electricians and painters have created new, essential space for the airline in time for the commencement of operations at the end of March.

There’s a new training room, spacious facilities for crews and revamped space in the General Aviation Terminal to accommodate Ryanair’s engineering and storage needs.

More Here: Paving the way for Ryanair arrival | Belfast Interna...

Talk about milking it.....the PR department will totally lose the plot when the see the aircraft arrive this month.

AerRyan
29th Feb 2016, 23:19
Bit OTT alright, BFS can't get a divert without the PR team posting it everywhere.

Go by the old rule: All publicity is good publicity.

owenc
29th Feb 2016, 23:38
I tracked the United flights using their app and I was surprised also. Throughout the whole month I think the flights were nearly all full.

I expected them to be empty, that's the way it was on previous years.

owenc
29th Feb 2016, 23:43
Talk about milking it.....the PR department will totally lose the plot when the see the aircraft arrive this month.

Mortifying

AerRyan
29th Feb 2016, 23:46
I don't follow. How do you know they are full?

owenc
29th Feb 2016, 23:52
Why? Do you doubt the viability of a Belfast route?

Anyway, they load seatmaps. Saturday's flight had 160 people onboard.

Thursdays flight has 140 booked.

mart901
1st Mar 2016, 10:00
Wonder maybe would FR do NRN as opposed to SXF, notice it's not a destination from DUB but still a big operation. Also Denmark was mentioned in the same breath as Germany at the launch announcement, maybe EIN? FR don't operate any Denmark flights with based a/c so that might well suit

GAZMO
1st Mar 2016, 10:19
Think there has to be a couple more European routes?

SecondDog
1st Mar 2016, 10:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/466292-belfast-airport-international-post9286049.html#post9286049)

Mortifying

Only if you are inherently negative in mindset. Amazing how much of that there is in N.I.

mart901
1st Mar 2016, 10:55
The way it was worded was more UK routes, a sunshine and a city route. That makes 5 assuming the UK routes amount to 3.

GAZMO
1st Mar 2016, 11:04
Second dog. Article reads well until the part about doing up the toilets again!!
Have a Burger King then use our refurbished toilets!!

nclops
1st Mar 2016, 18:01
Also Denmark was mentioned in the same breath as Germany at the launch announcement, maybe EIN?

Pretty sure when I went to school, EIN (Eindhoven) was in the Netherlands?!

KNT544
1st Mar 2016, 18:11
That may be so but I'm sure EIN refers to Aer Linus.

mart901
1st Mar 2016, 18:29
Sorry meant BLL!

BFS BHD
2nd Mar 2016, 19:15
Keep an eye on the Ryanair App in case the routes start to appear like Milan did. Late morning for the announcement.

mart901
2nd Mar 2016, 19:20
Keep an eye on the Ryanair App in case the routes start to appear like Milan did. Late morning for the announcement.

Hoping for some interesting routes rather than duplicated domestics

GAZMO
2nd Mar 2016, 19:32
From all the rumours, if anything only NCL I think will be duplicated from BFS, maybe BCN, but I cannot see that one for the winter period!

Noticed BHD have posted their pax numbers for Feb on their website. Anyone know what BFS figures are?

GAZMO
2nd Mar 2016, 20:09
BA/EI flight to BHD diverted to DUB. Wonder why they did not use BFS?

AerRyan
2nd Mar 2016, 20:14
It was a BA flight, and likely due to DUB being the preferred airport, often to do with lack of infrastructure at BFS etc.

True Blue
2nd Mar 2016, 20:18
AerRyan

What lack of infrastructure, considering BA use Bfs quite often for diverts? What exactly are you referring to?

BFS watcher
2nd Mar 2016, 20:23
Believe BFS growth double digit again., something like the 8th month in a row with more than 10%.

AerRyan
2nd Mar 2016, 20:23
British Airways don't fly to BFS and have no airline infrastructure there. For many reasons alternatives are often planned with this in mind.

BFS watcher
2nd Mar 2016, 21:05
Gazmo word on the street is that BHD down 7% in February with both BA and EI performing not particularly well and Flybe taking a hammering from Easy on competing routes.

True Blue
2nd Mar 2016, 21:06
Think you are a bit wide of the mark when it comes to BA using BFS for diversions.

GAZMO
2nd Mar 2016, 21:09
BFS watcher
If down 7% not good since this was a leap year and probably an extra 50 flights or so going out on Monday!
Interesting times ahead

BFS watcher
2nd Mar 2016, 21:23
7% is like for like. My source telling me down 2% for the 29days and that lights burning late in the Harbour looking for options to replace the EI pax from end March. Going to be an interesting few months.

GAZMO
2nd Mar 2016, 21:49
Cannot see any airline coming into the LGW route, with up to 11 flights between EZY and FR
Wonder if EI would consider STN or BEE to LTN?

mart901
2nd Mar 2016, 21:55
Cannot see any airline coming into the LGW route, with up to 11 flights between EZY and FR
Wonder if EI would consider STN or BEE to LTN?

STN/LTN could do with a BHD cconnection. Don't see the point in one airport having two operators on the same route and the other without. It was like this when WW moved to BHD.

West Brit
2nd Mar 2016, 22:03
So Bhd needs to replace lost passengers big time from next month. Just after BFS has slowly recovered at the expense to BHD. So BHD sorts something out and BFS then has to put something else in place...... on and on. 2 airports fighting over the same little small pile of crumbs while Dublin eats all the cake. Will it take another 20 years of this before the penny drops within NI plc?

GAZMO
2nd Mar 2016, 22:21
Yep at least 20 years!!

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2016, 07:45
From the BBC. Looks like this thread will be busy today

Ryanair due to announce new flights from Belfast International Airport - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35709091)

mart901
3rd Mar 2016, 07:53
From the BBC. Looks like this thread will be busy today

Ryanair due to announce new flights from Belfast International Airport - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35709091)

It nearly always is gazmo! If only BFS was so busy on a winters morning!

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Mar 2016, 08:08
Both airports should hoover up the bulk of point to point short haul and there's still a lot of scope for growth in inbound tourism. Long haul is lost to DUB as it now has a critical mass and an expanded passenger footprint and catchment area with improved road and public transport options.
Even one Belfast airport doing all of BFS/BHD wouldn't be much more of a match for DUB.
Glass half full?

mart901
3rd Mar 2016, 08:15
Both airports should hoover up the bulk of point to point short haul and there's still a lot of scope for growth in inbound tourism. Long haul is lost to DUB as it now has a critical mass and an expanded passenger footprint and catchment area with improved road and public transport options.
Even one Belfast airport doing all of BFS/BHD wouldn't be much more of a match for DUB.
Glass half full?

If the APD went I could see a lot of increased domestic flights, the fares in theory could come down £26 on a return. I don't agree that transatlantic is lost to Dublin, UA is well patronised and a good many people use LHR, not saying AMS and soon BRU won't take a fair few either - it just needs an operator to make a calculated risk, UA seem to be doing well this winter hopefully this will continue and support more.

mart901
3rd Mar 2016, 08:22
Here it is;

Alicante, Berlin schonefield, Krakow, Lanzarote, Malaga, Milan Bergamo, Tenerife

BFS BHD
3rd Mar 2016, 08:26
Here it is;

Alicante, Berlin schonefield, Krakow, Lanzarote, Malaga, Milan Bergamo, Tenerife

Some being done by non based aircraft. I think there could be gaps still?

mart901
3rd Mar 2016, 08:28
Some being done by non based aircraft. I think there could be gaps still?

Maybe, domestic has yet to appear I can't see them missing that bloodbath opportunity at some stage

j636
3rd Mar 2016, 08:31
So Wizz will exit BFS soon with KRK, prehaps BHD might take them.

mart901
3rd Mar 2016, 08:39
So Wizz will exit BFS soon with KRK, prehaps BHD might take them.

The airports are 50 miles apart so not necessarily.

I did say I could see canaries coming on non based aircraft which they have, along with Krakow. FR seem to have gone for EZY and EI with the routes they picked, I can visualise a rather unhappy Carolyn McCall, mind you they'd have been daft to imagine FR would stay away forever from NI.

Buc Driver
3rd Mar 2016, 09:41
If these are the new routes, then with the exception of Berlin, what a disappointment, it`s just the same old sun routes that everyone else is flying.

EI-BUD
3rd Mar 2016, 09:42
Good grief... this route selection will have huge impact. Yes numbers will sky rocket on all these routes, but I suggest an enormous impact to BHD in terms of its sun routes business.

EasyJet certainly will show its hand against the airport for striking a deal with Ryanair. Gatwick with the IAG slot surrender situation seemed to be handled well and could have been sold to EasyJet, but this is a biggie. Krakow is a very strong performer for EasyJet for short breaks. 320 on the routes frequently, very strong loads and what appears to be very strong fare revenue....

Are we to assumed that the mooted domestic services will be operated by based aircraft? Or will they be launched, may let Flybe off the hook there....

mart901
3rd Mar 2016, 09:50
Good grief... this route selection will have huge impact. Yes numbers will sky rocket on all these routes, but I suggest an enormous impact to BHD in terms of its sun routes business.

EasyJet certainly will show its hand against the airport for striking a deal with Ryanair. Gatwick with the IAG slot surrender situation seemed to be handled well and could have been sold to EasyJet, but this is a biggie. Krakow is a very strong performer for EasyJet for short breaks. 320 on the routes frequently, very strong loads and what appears to be very strong fare revenue....

Are we to assumed that the mooted domestic services will be operated by based aircraft? Or will they be launched, may let Flybe off the hook there....

I think it's FR who are showing the hand to anyone encroaching on their DUB network, our sunshine routes have grown massively from both airports recently and the last thing they want is people believing its cheaper to fly locally than drive to DUB and fly with them, so they've come to the customer. Krakow is similar, and also designed to hit EZY.

JM926
3rd Mar 2016, 09:58
I can't find the official announcement anywhere...so I'm assuming someone has heard accurate info through the grapevine?

I'm frustrated at the amount of overlap between J2 and Ryanair. I was all for them coming if they were going to introduce destinations not currently served but the airport allowing them in just to wage war with the existing carriers is criminal

EI-BUD
3rd Mar 2016, 10:27
JM926,

Jet2 is very differentiated in the market. The jet2holidays brand is huge for package holidays in the Northern Ireland market. They have less to worry about than say EasyJet, who at the face of it will be competing for the same thing. Yes EasyJet have holiday options, but this is far less developed than the Jet2 offer.

Jet2 also has the diversified model with revenue from freight, and typically low cost aircraft that are old and low or no repayments. They can compete effectively. They have demonstrated resilience in the Leeds market where Ryanair set up a base in competition...

EI-BUD

BFS BHD
3rd Mar 2016, 10:50
Michael O'Leary says @Ryanair will be back with more routes and more aircraft within matter of months.

Great to see!

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2016, 10:50
Only semi excited on the routes to Alicante, Berlin Schonefield, Krakow, Lanzarote, Malaga, Milan Bergamo, Tenerife

Berlin, Milan great, KRK could see the end of Wizz to Katowice.

Disappointed in others, ACE, TFS well covered at the moment.

What about domestic routes?

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2016, 10:56
Press announcement

New Ryanair Berlin and Milan routes are long-awaited... (http://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2016/march/new-ryanair-berlin-and-milan-routes-are-long-awaited-breakthrough)

Also stating pax numbers up although 20% in February

BHD2BFS
3rd Mar 2016, 10:57
I don't think there will be many domestic routes by FR, ADP will have quite a big effect on domestic and many routes are thin, could they fill 2 or 3 rotations to LBA or EMA? JET2 tried LBA which is their main base and failed

Personally (and you can shoot me down if you want) I would not be surprised if the next domestic route to be announced is STN. London is the big money spinner from NI and more than likely needs the least marketing

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2016, 11:02
I believe STN will come in due course, but not for a couple of years.

Anyone know when flights go on sale?

JM926
3rd Mar 2016, 11:03
JM926,

Jet2 is very differentiated in the market. The jet2holidays brand is huge for package holidays in the Northern Ireland market. They have less to worry about than say EasyJet, who at the face of it will be competing for the same thing. Yes EasyJet have holiday options, but this is far less developed than the Jet2 offer.

Jet2 also has the diversified model with revenue from freight, and typically low cost aircraft that are old and low or no repayments. They can compete effectively. They have demonstrated resilience in the Leeds market where Ryanair set up a base in competition...

EI-BUD

Indeed-I work for J2 so have seen that across the company just less than half of passengers are on a package holiday.

I had just assumed that Ryanair would be a little more innovative when they arrived!! Certainly good to see some new routes there like Berlin.

benjyyy
3rd Mar 2016, 11:08
I believe STN will come in due course, but not for a couple of years.

Anyone know when flights go on sale?

They are already on sale on the app anyway

BFS BHD
3rd Mar 2016, 11:12
On sale now on website...

BFS BHD
3rd Mar 2016, 11:24
Them routes announced today only need one aircraft looking at dates and times.

Must be more coming soon then for the 3rd aircraft...

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2016, 11:27
Appears ACE and TFS being done by aircraft based in Canary Island

ACE flight departs ACE at 7.25 am and TFS departs TFS at 7.00!!

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2016, 11:37
Looking at FR website I think more to come?

Monday AM Nothing PM ALC
Tuesday AM SXF PM KRK & AGP
Wednesday AM Milan PM ALC
Thurs AM SXF PM KRK & AGP
Fri AM Nothing PM ALC
Sat AM Milan PM AGP
Sun AM SXF PM KRK & AGP

Start dates

SXF starts 1st Sept Milan 3rd Sept KRK 30th Oct

TFS and ACE are not BFS aircraft

BFS BHD
3rd Mar 2016, 11:41
Looking at FR website I think more to come?

Monday AM Nothing PM ALC
Tuesday AM SXF PM KRK & AGP
Wednesday AM Milan PM ALC
Thurs AM SXF PM KRK & AGP
Fri AM Nothing PM ALC
Sat AM Milan PM AGP
Sun AM SXF PM KRK & AGP

Start dates

SXF starts 1st Sept Milan 3rd Sept KRK 30th Oct

TFS and ACE are not BFS aircraft

Krakow isn't BFS based too. So there is more coming.

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2016, 12:37
From NI Travel News

Extra Capacity to Ibiza from Belfast (http://nitravelnews.com/news-stories/1633-extra-capacity-to-ibiza-from-belfast.html)

mart901
3rd Mar 2016, 13:09
Krakow isn't BFS based too. So there is more coming.

Definitely more to follow whether it be increasing capacity on already launched routes following a period of watching the competition/forward bookings or there will be another announcement soon regarding domestics - these need a lot less lead in time and definitely might wait for everyone else's winter timetables before final plans are made. They certainly seem to want to hit all their rivals bottom line - BFS may regret this long term.

Jamie2k9
3rd Mar 2016, 13:42
There is only a Monday/Friday gap for 6 hours, would not be unusual for the aircraft to do nothing in winter.

As for lack of UK routes, the whole idea of domestic routes was started here and was never going to happen.

West Brit
3rd Mar 2016, 14:04
As for lack of UK routes, the whole idea of domestic routes was started here and was never going to happen.

Is there not another aircraft!!

The word never is used quite a lot from Dubliners about the Belfast airports. A middle east carrier will be here soon. Canada will also be served from Belfast soon. Oh and more FR domestics!!

Jamie2k9
3rd Mar 2016, 14:41
Jamie2K never has a positive thing to say about Belfast, he always has to pick out the negatives. (he is doing the same thing on Airliners.net)

It wouldn't have killed him to say congratulations would it?

I'm right though, nobody can put a counter argument to it.

It case for scrapping APD is non existent as it will only boost airline profits by taking residents in NI on holiday. If they were serious they would deliver a better portfolio of routes to justify it been scrapped.

West Brit
3rd Mar 2016, 14:44
It wouldn't have killed him to say congratulations would it?

FR at BFS not sure if it is great news, time will tell.

mart901
3rd Mar 2016, 15:00
Reality is nobody in DUB wants to see APD scrapped because its the driver of pax from NI, price is the big factor and operating costs for the airline. Awaiting the air route development fund with interest.

Jamie2k9
3rd Mar 2016, 15:03
Reality is nobody in DUB wants to see APD dcrapped because its the driver of pax from NI, price is the big factor and operating costs for the airline. Awaiting the air route development fund with interest.

Reality is DUB will not be impacted as they will get other passengers if there is a reduction.

You will notice FR have produced a schedule to ensure DUB is not impacted by the routes as well.

Yet again you fail to make a case to scrap APD in NI.

shoe shine
3rd Mar 2016, 15:08
Well done Aldergrove! New routes and some really new ones too. Hopefully when the Minister announces the detail of the RDF, supposedly by the end of this month, we will see a second round of announcements.

EGAC is Better
3rd Mar 2016, 16:43
Im finding it hard to contain my excitement about all these "new routes"

All but Berlin and Milan are already served. Another carrier serves what purpose? Unless something else is being held back there is actually very little investment. Infact its a perfect position to stick it to EZY and Jet2, maybe kill off one and majorly naff off the other. All with very little risk and with an ability to run for the hills when they dont get Government handouts as per their usual M.O.

I hope I'm wrong.

mwm991
3rd Mar 2016, 20:27
Cheaper holidays for the locals, encourages more inbound tourism, cheaper for business and wider connections.

Anytime Ryanair pitch up anywhere its usually good news for the area in question and I feel the same here. Good for BFS.

BFS watcher
3rd Mar 2016, 20:46
From all accounts MOL talked about 4 aircraft before winter at the press conference Rumour is that 2 more domestic high frequency routes which I would think will be STN and EMA plus at least 2 more Eastern European routes. Anyway great news and 20% growth in Feb happy days

Itchin McCrevis
3rd Mar 2016, 21:07
The big prize at Belfast is the London market, I would not be surprised if they make a play for this by operating multiple London Airports.

Husky One
3rd Mar 2016, 22:12
KRK is not sustainable with both easyJet, Ryanair direct and Wizz dropping off a few miles up the road.
I'm struggling to see a need for 10/11 flights a day to LGW too.
EasyJet won't give up LGW easily and Ryanair already know that as previous attempts to compete there were no great success. I can see BHD making a play for some easyJet work as their 319s can operate effectively there as already proven a few years ago.
In the short term there'll be a load of loss leading fares but that will be followed by rationalisation on several routes. I'll not be flying Ryanair at any price. Been there, done it, didn't like it for a multitude of reasons. We are already blessed with a multitude of choice to many destinations and they're unlike to miss my £29.99.

True Blue
3rd Mar 2016, 22:34
It has been posted on here that Bfs grew by about 20% last month. That is not because the economy has improved massively recently, but is a reflection that Ezy has been restricting capacity and in turn growth at Bfs. A large part of the growth has come from the large capacity increase by Ezy some months back. I can well understand the desire of Bfs management to break the hold that Ezy had. So we will see pax who had been using Bhd, or Dub now able to use Bfs, and the market will grow. Ezy has been caught out by their own tactics. A big loser here could be Lhr as pax move to Lgw with lower fares and a much better frequency. Charges ex Lhr are now shocking.

Jamie2k9
3rd Mar 2016, 23:20
It has been posted on here that Bfs grew by about 20% last month. That is not because the economy has improved massively recently, but is a reflection that Ezy has been restricting capacity and in turn growth at Bfs. A large part of the growth has come from the large capacity increase by Ezy some months back. I can well understand the desire of Bfs management to break the hold that Ezy had. So we will see pax who had been using Bhd, or Dub now able to use Bfs, and the market will grow. Ezy has been caught out by their own tactics. A big loser here could be Lhr as pax move to Lgw with lower fares and a much better frequency. Charges ex Lhr are now shocking.

I'm sure the extra day in Feb added somewhere around 6% to make 20%.

From all accounts MOL talked about 4 aircraft before winter at the press conference Rumour is that 2 more domestic high frequency routes which I would think will be STN and EMA plus at least 2 more Eastern European routes. Anyway great news and 20% growth in Feb happy days

Suspect VNO or KUN will be one and then Wizz will be sent packing! Warsaw the other.

I would not expect EMA, just because it's not served ex BFS does not mean FR will operate it.

Husky One
4th Mar 2016, 01:18
The idea that easyJet has been restricting capacity is pure nonsense. Airlines do not make money in the winter but they make best endeavors to lose as little as possible. The crews and aircraft have always been in place in BFS but the decision to fly or not to fly them can be marginal. It was common knowledge that they were going to fly more this winter than last purely due to economics. Last year it was more economical to park them up more. Ironically the Ryan's are the biggest culprits of all at this. Take a look at BHX or STN in winter and you'll find literally dozens of parked up 737s doing nothing for months other than engineering checks. I fail to see how easy have been caught out (sold out maybe) as they provide credible schedules to most destinations including a massive amount of seats to London per week. BFS is easy's second largest UK operation. That's hardly compatible with restricting the market. In the mid nineties a return to London was often around £300. I've seldom payed more than half that if booked in advance these days with easyJet.
LHR figures won't even blink in the face of anything going on at BFS. There is an insatiable demand for interline LHR services. BA have it nicely wrapped up. I've always thought LGW as a better option for London but it just doesn't get reflected in the figures. Ironically there was always demand for a BHD-LGW service. It was a mainstay of JEA/Flybe for years. They only dropped it when they had to sell the slots to stay afloat. Why Aer Lingus couldn't make it work is a puzzle. If easy started that tomorrow they'd fill it. It wouldn't surprise me if that actually happens at some point although at the expense of some BFS rotations.

EI-BUD
4th Mar 2016, 06:49
The idea that easyJet has been restricting capacity is pure nonsense. Airlines do not make money in the winter but they make best endeavors to lose as little as possible

Husky one, I completely concur with True Blue's position on this. EasyJet has minimised the schedule consistently in order to maximise the fare levels. You could argue that they are correct from a commercial perspective, however, clearly the increase capacity is working splendidly now, as witnessed in the growth in numbers and the booked out flights. Before any of the wise contributors starts to mention yield, you can be sure that for all of the consecutive days across January and February where almost all London flights were booked out, the yield management model is used and hence the fares were collected at the normal rate.

In reference to Winter losses, this is correct. However, this is largely due to the sheer drop in the number of routes across Winter. Take EasyJet for example, the vast number of their sun routes are seasonal, like Greece, Turkey etc. This does not mean key frequency routes like Belfast lose money at any time. They have the same size of fleet, many parked yet bearing the same cost. Yes many routes will be marginal.

It was common knowledge that they were going to fly more this winter than last purely due to economics. Last year it was more economical to park them up more. Ironically the Ryan's are the biggest culprits of all at this

What is the difference between last Winter and this Winter? All the low cost airlines will park big numbers of aircraft in Winter. Ryanair are expanding fast, and the addition of many more primary airports and tailoring the offer to target the business traveller is intensifying. As a result fewer aircraft will be parked in winter than was traditional.

I fail to see how easy have been caught out (sold out maybe) as they provide credible schedules to most destinations including a massive amount of seats to London per week. BFS is easy's second largest UK operation

There had been many times of the day in previous years where EasyJet had huge gaps in the London schedule in the day. They deployed aircraft away to more profitable routes like sun routes etc across the more leisure orientated times of the day. However, the point is the demand was there at times like this and like last Saturday and early Sunday. That is the point.

Belfast is not the second largest operation. Luton is after Gatwick.

LHR figures won't even blink in the face of anything going on at BFS. There is an insatiable demand for interline LHR services

I think you'll actually find that the point to point element of the BA and EI LHR route will be hotly contested, however, in the face of the removal of the LGW routes ex BHD, LHR may benefit for those pax who may be sensitive to which Belfast Airport to use. This will be a good test of this theory.

Why Aer Lingus couldn't make it work is a puzzle. If easy started that tomorrow they'd fill it. It wouldn't surprise me if that actually happens at some point although at the expense of some BFS rotations.

Aer Lingus did make LGW work. They are pulling the route due to the need to surrender the slots as part of the IAG deal. This went in Ryanair's favour. LGW route has been in decline since EasyJet upped the ante, though Aer Lingus putting the 319 back on the route has not helped. I have no doubt LGW can work from LGW, though unless EasyJet do it, it is hard to see an airline brave enough to do so. If EasyJet feel the heat from Ryanair too significantly they could easily differentiate themselves by adding BHD by way of a LGW based aircraft, but interestingly they is zero noise coming from the EasyJet side here. Whereas when Ryanair came before they were up in arms in a dispute with the airport operator (unrelated to Ryanair) and it was a huge talking point on here. I agree LGW is a great alternative to LHR, I fly there a lot, on point to point, typically much cheaper flight and a very low cost option to get into central London by train.

mart901
4th Mar 2016, 06:54
The idea that easyJet has been restricting capacity is pure nonsense. Airlines do not make money in the winter but they make best endeavors to lose as little as possible. The crews and aircraft have always been in place in BFS but the decision to fly or not to fly them can be marginal. It was common knowledge that they were going to fly more this winter than last cynically due to economics. Last year it was more economical to park them up more. Ironically the Ryan are the biggest culprits of all at this. Take a look at BHX or STN in winter and you'll find literally dozens of parked up 737s doing nothing for months other than engineering checks. I fail to see how easy have been caught out (sold out maybe) as they provide credible schedules to most destinations including a massive amount of seats to London per week. BFS is easy's second largest UK operation. That's hardly compatible with restricting the market. In the mid nineties a return to London was often around £300. I've seldom payed more than half that if booked in advance these days with easyJet.
LHR figures won't even blink in the face of anything going on at BFS. There is an insatiable demand for interline LHR services. BA have it nicely wrapped up. I've always thought LGW as a better option for London but it just doesn't get reflected in the figures. Ironically there was always demand for a BHD-LGW service. It was a mainstay of JEA/Flybe for years. They only dropped it when they had to sell the slots to stay afloat. Why Aer Lingus couldn't make it work is a puzzle. If easy started that tomorrow they'd fill it. It wouldn't surprise me if that actually happens at some point although at the expense of some BFS rotations.

I don't think EI were planning on leaving LGW, the decision was forced upon them, and bear in mind that in the last year EZY have really ramped up capacity and cut fares to LGW I don't suppose its helped, however what goes around comes around and with a departing shamrock comes a ruthless £9.99 seat selling harp.
Whilst I think some of what TrueBlue has said about capacity constraint is cynical, there is truth in the fact EZY have had a total dominance at BFS and the LON market in recent months has started to look increasingly orange, I wouldn't say EZY have exactly broken into a sweat trying to develop at BFS, still a lot of unserved routes where pax either transfer via LHR/AMS or as the figures show drive to DUB to avail of APD free flying. I'm really interested to see how EZY respond, I'd imagine the Euro routes will see some pruning of schedules longer term, LON and other domestics maybe not, I can't see them taking it lying down, as has been said LON is the linchpin of NI aviation.

El Bunto
4th Mar 2016, 07:36
Aer Lingus did make LGW work. They are pulling the route due to the need to surrender the slots as part of the IAG deal.

Those particular slots did not need to be surrendered. The remedy required that any five Gatwick slot-sets be made available by IAG for use to ( Belfast and Dublin ), not that IAG vacate those services.

Note that Aer Lingus are continuing Dublin to Gatwick. They just decided to throw Belfast 'under the bus'.

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Mar 2016, 08:14
When you say LHR charges are shocking, this is revenue management. Only a few of the lowest fares are sometimes made available as much capacity is blocked for connecting passengers. A quarter of the seats may already be unavailable before a single London terminating seat is sold, hence unless you book early for some services, the price always seems high.

mart901
4th Mar 2016, 08:14
Those particular slots did not need to be surrendered. The remedy required that any five Gatwick slot-sets be made available by IAG for use to ( Belfast and Dublin ), not that IAG vacate those services.

Note that Aer Lingus are continuing Dublin to Gatwick. They just decided to throw Belfast 'under the bus'.

Yes but they've cut DUB as slots surrendered there also. Being honest if you hand a slot over
from a 3x daily route and at the same time in comes FR, what chance of success? The route was already suffering to EZY's schedule and fares push. Their other alternative was to cut further the DUB route, one they had ddeveloped to being bigger than FR - they cut their losses!

West Brit
4th Mar 2016, 09:29
As the EZY winter schedule hasn't been released yet, maybe they had already decided to call it a day on KRK. When EI launched sun routes in competition to EZY may years ago there was no big out-cry.

True Blue
4th Mar 2016, 09:33
Husky One

So you think 6 flights on a Saturday between Bfs and all London airports is not restricting? That a last departure out of London at 18.10 pm is good? A 10 hour gap between first departure at about 6.15 am to the next at 4.15 pm to Lgw is good? To cut fights to Bhx during the summer so that you can concentrate on sun routes is good for pax wanting to go to Bhx? Yes, Ezy can structure their programme to, in the end, benefit shareholders the most. But that does not necessarily meet the needs of pax or of Bfs whose job it is is to get more pax through the terminal. I am afraid, for me, Ezy has been holding Bfs back and I think my beliefs are borne out by the jump in pax numbers. That can't be all down to an economy suddenly booming, because it isn't. And I am a big user of Ezy, I use them 40+ times a year.

And just to add, last departure out of London on a Saturday in July, 14.40!

BFS watcher
4th Mar 2016, 09:44
EZY have been hammering Aer Lingus on Gatwick since last summer. If you look at the pax numbers from the CAA stats the BHD numbers have been in double digit decline for months. Great having Berlin and Milan, have already booked a trip with Mrs Watcher to Milan in September cheap as chips. Looks like Berlin for the Xmas market this year!

EI-A330-300
4th Mar 2016, 10:37

Correct but the BHD slots were the best ones to get rid off, times were not as good nor valuable to the airline.

DC9_10
4th Mar 2016, 10:49
Booked a trip to Berlin. Really cheap and I think this is what Northern Ireland needs. Competition from the same airport. FR and EZY compete on routes at many a UK airport and LS have not run shy at LBA either. As I have said. Europe's two largest locos and Jet2 with a great holiday product makes for mixing and matching to get the the cheapest deal. EI may try, however I feel they may be frozen out of the market. A family of four ain't gonna choose BHD when they can possibly save a few hundred quid by travelling an extra 20 to 30 mins. Maybe except if your a member of Brian and Arlenes club.

All names taken
4th Mar 2016, 12:20
Booked a trip to Berlin.

You're based in Liverpool and you've booked a flight from Belfast to Berlin? Eh?

I'm sure EZY have done the BFS to Berlin route in the past. I remember boarding a MAN flight at one of the downstairs holding gates and Berlin was boarding at the same time. The two lots of pax were getting tangled in the melee.

mart901
4th Mar 2016, 13:30
Booked a trip to Berlin. Really cheap and I think this is what Northern Ireland needs. Competition from the same airport. FR and EZY compete on routes at many a UK airport and LS have not run shy at LBA either. As I have said. Europe's two largest locos and Jet2 with a great holiday product makes for mixing and matching to get the the cheapest deal. EI may try, however I feel they may be frozen out of the market. A family of four ain't gonna choose BHD when they can possibly save a few hundred quid by travelling an extra 20 to 30 mins. Maybe except if your a member of Brian and Arlenes club.

Hate to tell you but I book loads of peoples holidays and EI comes out cheaper on flight only almost every time, last year and this year thus far. Very interested to see the effects of extra capacity. I'm talking cheaper than every airline on comparable sunshine routes from BFS, the only cheaper options flying from NI are connections via AMS/BRU and only certain dates

EI-BUD
4th Mar 2016, 15:02
When you say LHR charges are shocking, this is revenue management. Only a few of the lowest fares are sometimes made available as much capacity is blocked for connecting passengers. A quarter of the seats may already be unavailable before a single London terminating seat is sold, hence unless you book early for some services, the price always seems high.

Skipness,
The operating charges that are in place at London Heathrow are much higher to the other London airports. Though it is not easily visible via the booking engines due to how airlines classify the fees, taxes and charges and wrap them up that way.

Aer Lingus for examples have taxes and charges of £53 on a flight out of LHR, while a flight ex LGW is £20.99. Both of those amounts exclude admin fees charges by Aer Lingus as standard of £7, and the airlines fare.

Willie Walsh has went on the record as saying that the point to point model is significantly challenged at LHR due to the higher operating charges that are in place and furthermore, he cites this as a reason that bmi struggled to compete and find its place on short haul, hence their move at a time to more medium haul routes...

EI-BUD

Husky One
4th Mar 2016, 21:52
No matter how much pontificating goes on here, EI made a mess of LGW. I travelled on it many times and it was never full. Long haul crews were using it as the bus to work for that very reason.
With respect to capacity 'restriction', I would define that as a deliberate reduction in services to maximise yield. That is not what easyJet were doing over the last few winters. if it's cheaper to park them up than fly them then they get parked up. Every airline does it. Jet2 are masters of it in BFS. Ryanair have mastered it everywhere else. Airlines exist only to make money and you can't blame them for that. I fail to see how easyJet are somehow a culprit hampering BFS growth by electing to reduce services in winter. Recent capacity 'increases' are purely the result of a larger aircraft on some rotations. Ironically the domestic schedule is better in winter than summer due to availability of airframes. Unfortunately only one of the 5 based airframes is a 320. I do agree however that the summer schedule over the last couple of years has been poor at weekends. That is clearly the result of sending the aircraft on longer holiday routes but you'd think by some of the attitudes around that easyJet should just exist to do the bidding of BFS. There's a bit of a shock in store if you think Ryanair are any different.
West Brit - the KRK route is always full so it's highly unlikely to be dropped although I believe the onboard spend figures are low. When EI arrived at BFS years ago they took on easyJet on head to head and got flattened. I recall taking an EI flight to AMS with 6 people on it. They eventually reduced the direct competition and found some success. I can see a similar scenario developing but the winner is less certain. Having all 3 locos pounding AGP may well work in July and August but is unlikely to be sustainable outside peak season.

mart901
4th Mar 2016, 22:13
No matter how much pontificating goes on here, EI made a mess of LGW. I travelled on it many times and it was never full. Long haul crews were using it as the bus to work for that very reason.
With respect to capacity 'restriction', I would define that as a deliberate reduction in services to maximise yield. That is not what easyJet were doing over the last few winters. if it's cheaper to park them up than fly them then they get parked up. Every airline does it. Jet2 are masters of it in BFS. Ryanair have mastered it everywhere else. Airlines exist only to make money and you can't blame them for that. I fail to see how easyJet are somehow a culprit hampering BFS growth by electing to reduce services in winter. Recent capacity 'increases' are purely the result of a larger aircraft on some rotations. Ironically the domestic schedule is better in winter than summer due to availability of airframes. Unfortunately only one of the 5 based airframes is a 320. I do agree however that the summer schedule over the last couple of years has been poor at weekends. That is clearly the result of sending the aircraft on longer holiday routes but you'd think by some of the attitudes around that easyJet should just exist to do the bidding of BFS. There's a bit of a shock in store if you think Ryanair are any different.

West Brit - the KRK route is always full so it's highly unlikely to be dropped although I believe the onboard spend figures are low. When EI arrived at BFS years ago they took on easyJet on head to head and got flattened. I recall taking an EI flight to AMS with 6 people on it. They eventually reduced the direct competition and found some success. I can see a similar scenario developing but the winner is less certain. Having all 3 locos pounding AGP may well work in July and August but is unlikely to be sustainable outside peak season.

Think I'll start hiring out motability scooters in Spain this winter!!!!

GAZMO
4th Mar 2016, 22:19
Have to agree in that I find it strange that FR are hitting the sun destinations in the winter time? AGP, ALC at best three weekly. Even EZY reduce AGP to twice weekly in dead of winter.
However nice to see the NEW routes Berlin and Milan, that's what is needed
There is still free slot on Monday and Friday AM, which would be great for a weekend destination.......BUD??
Also surprised no BRU, a route that was a virtual certainly in my opinion

True Blue
4th Mar 2016, 22:23
HuskyOne, I quite agree that Ezy are entitled to reduce losses, maximise yield, in whatever way they think fit. But the airport and pax have needs as well. The pax may need a better spread of flight times. The airport wants higher numbers. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. I think the times to London, especially on a saturday, are plain stupid. The problem with doing what Ezy has been doing, is that you can leave yourself open to attack and that is what is now happening. That is the way commerce/capitalism works. Eventually both Ezy and Fr will come under attack, maybe that will be Norwegian.

This time last year, 3 of us went over on a Saturday to a football match. We flew Ezy to Stn. On the way back, the only suitable flight back from London, Lhr was so expensive, that we flew back to Dub, bus to Belfast, taxi to Bfs and home by car. 3 pax lost to Bfs, how many more has there been over the years?

mart901
4th Mar 2016, 22:23
Have to agree in that I find it strange that FR are hitting the sun destinations in the winter time? AGP, ALC at best three weekly. Even EZY reduce AGP to twice weekly in dead of winter.
However nice to see the NEW routes Berlin and Milan, that's what is needed
There is still free slot on Monday and Friday AM, which would be great for a weekend destination.......BUD??
Also surprised no BRU, a route that was a virtual certainly in my opinion

With you on Budapest! Wizz might yet you never know

True Blue
4th Mar 2016, 22:28
The FR base is supposed to be 3 aircraft. Reading the comments by MOL in the Belfast Telegraph, he says they hope to be back later this year with a fourth aircraft.

Does the routes announced so far need 3 aircraft? It seems to me it is only 2, so is another aircraft not yet announced with more routes to come? Or are they counting the non-based flights as the third aircraft?

GAZMO
4th Mar 2016, 22:30
Going by rumours there are going to be some domestic routes, EMA, LBA NCL etc. Maybe the third based aircraft will be covering these routes!

BFS BHD
5th Mar 2016, 00:08
The FR base is supposed to be 3 aircraft. Reading the comments by MOL in the Belfast Telegraph, he says they hope to be back later this year with a fourth aircraft.

Does the routes announced so far need 3 aircraft? It seems to me it is only 2, so is another aircraft not yet announced with more routes to come? Or are they counting the non-based flights as the third aircraft?

Yes only 2 aircraft needed so far. Michael O'Leary said he will be back in a couple of months to announce more routes likely for the 3rd aircraft and possibly a 4th as you say.

Straightahead
5th Mar 2016, 08:12
Great news for BFS AND I am sure that Ryanair have done their home work.As for the sun routes there was never enough capacity during the winter. AGP, ALC ,FAO always full .Good luck to them and well done BFS

mart901
5th Mar 2016, 08:22
Great news for BFS AND I am sure that Ryanair have done their home work.As for the sun routes there was never enough capacity during the winter. AGP, ALC ,FAO always full .Good luck to them and well done BFS

I agree on the winter sun, needs more choice too, Malta, Cyprus, Turkey all warmish in winter, just takes a brave operator to pioneer.

BFS Dude
5th Mar 2016, 15:06
Great news for BFS...

Could be nothing but BFS has started following Air Berlin and Lufthansa on Twitter also Frankfurt Airport and Berlin Airport (Maybe followed Berlin because of RYR).

They started following Ryanair before they announced BFS. So could be one to keep an eye on...

BHD2BFS
5th Mar 2016, 16:49
Could the upgraded lounge be due to a flag carrier arriving?
Could link the rumour for the possible airbridge at it
Maybe a daily Frankfurt or Munich with LH?

I recon the reason for the recent money spent on the lounge is maybe a request by UA or VS for its business tickets

Does anyone know if there is plans to renovate the international pier?

BFS watcher
5th Mar 2016, 17:49
I still think it is BA coming up from City. With Aer Lingus on the way out it would be a no brainer. Interesting that the Ops Director was at the FR launch, no sign of the BFS commercial people!

mart901
5th Mar 2016, 18:41
I still think it is BA coming up from City. With Aer Lingus on the way out it would be a no brainer. Interesting that the Ops Director was at the FR launch, no sign of the BFS commercial people!

Well unless there's some serious financial gain for IAG I can't see it somehow. Loosing the city location, the distance between it and the loco rivals, the fact BA invested in the lounge at BHD not long ago and EI haven't announced they are leaving, a small number of potential redundancies which is due to loss of LGW. BFS needed a lounge, they are kind of behind the times without. Plenty of business users at BFS on locos and lots of leisure pax now use them, my daughter used her American express membership at STN for a flight to BFS recently to avoid the crowds, quite common occurrence I know various people who use them.

BFS watcher
5th Mar 2016, 18:53
Omers now own BFS, see the money being spent in the terminal etc etc. I reckon BA are the target. These guys ain't messing about anymore which is good to see. The big question can BHD survive against a rejuvenated and aggressive BFS? BER must have cost big bucks as a German route was a big NI target and BFS seem to be putting 2 fingers up at the NI executive as they continue to make a big play about no government money. Only question is what is next?

Skipness One Foxtrot
5th Mar 2016, 19:00
Can BHD survive watching easyJet and Ryanair slap each other at BFS? Yes, yes they can.

BFS watcher
5th Mar 2016, 19:49
Interesting response......flybe being crucified on MAN, BHX, LPL and NCL by Easyjet, once FR goes on EMA and LBA more pressure. So BHD now in a pretty bad place.....what next a govt bailout or the latest UK state owned airport after Cardiff and Prestwick?

SecondDog
5th Mar 2016, 20:50
BFS are bound to be offering BA the world to come up the road. At the very least to put pressure on the City to match it. If the rumours about their latest finance deal are anywhere near accurate, that is something they will not be able to do very easily.

I think BFS wins either way and are definitely in the ascendency after years of having to let flights go to the city for undercut rates.

The difference has been OMERS letting the local team play the game rather than just creaming the profits.

mart901
5th Mar 2016, 20:57
Interesting response......flybe being crucified on MAN, BHX, LPL and NCL by Easyjet, once FR goes on EMA and LBA more pressure. So BHD now in a pretty bad place.....what next a govt bailout or the latest UK state owned airport after Cardiff and Prestwick?

And I just sailed down the Lagan in a bubble. Seriously? What predictions next? NI will win the euro's in France? A record summer 40c every day in Katesbridge? Wise up

GAZMO
6th Mar 2016, 08:59
NI to win the euros .....yes!!
40c in Katesbridge.....never!!

El Bunto
6th Mar 2016, 09:50
The odd thing is that when BA were at International they didn't take advantage of the longer operating hours.

If I remember correctly in the late 1990s the first flight out of Belfast was around 07:00 and the last arrived from Heathrow at 21:30: the same bracket that they currently use at City.

mart901
6th Mar 2016, 09:53
NI to win the euros .....yes!!
40c in Katesbridge.....never!!seriously Gazmo, I'm booking for France!

Joking aside wish BFS every success, not an FR fan but I think for tourism it might be just the boost we need. I like EZY but I am of the opinion they've held BFS somewhat to ransom, some really good ideas like Iceland but generally lacking in inspiration. I hope this wakes them up to the potential.

mart901
6th Mar 2016, 09:56
The odd thing is that when BA were at International they didn't take advantage of the longer operating hours.

If I remember correctly in the late 1990s the first flight out of Belfast was around 07:00 and the last arrived from Heathrow at 21:30: the same bracket that they currently use at City.

Yes, that's why they are not hankering to get back. It doesn't benefit them. From my ex Bmi colleague I'm told the late flights were a waste of time and ran for the purposes of keeping out the competition

GAZMO
6th Mar 2016, 10:24
I think things have changed since the 1990s flights going out earlier, 6.10am EZY to STN and arriving later FR from LGW will be arriving at 11.15pm.

If EI had aircraft at BFS then with early departure and late arrival the plane could do four rotations in the day rather than the current three from BHD. Greater aircraft utilisation.?? However just my view

BFS BHD
6th Mar 2016, 15:21
Has Thomas Cook dropped the one off January 2017 to Varadero Airport? Was on sale but not appearing any more on website...

EI-BUD
6th Mar 2016, 21:04
Yes, that's why they are not hankering to get back. It doesn't benefit them. From my ex Bmi colleague I'm told the late flights were a waste of time and ran for the purposes of keeping out the competition

Keeping out what competition? The only potential competitor was already on the route at much higher frequency. BA had 6 daily flights in the last few years of its operation ex BFS and 7 before that in most of the 90's. British Midland had 8 a day, both had 7am departure to LHR (typically give or take 10 mins) and then they had on the half hour, operating alternate hours. BA had a 2145 arrival as standard and a Friday late arrival at 2220., though this later one varied and didn't operate every season. Some Sunday evenings had a later one too.

Besides the argument about what went on then is largely irrelevant. Cost base is immensely different now, competition is different. Fares are different etc.

El Bunto
7th Mar 2016, 10:03
Besides the argument about what went on then is largely irrelevant. Cost base is immensely different now, competition is different. Fares are different etc.

To a degree, but BA inherited the travel contract for the NICS ( and carry much of the parliamentary traffic ) in addition to the bread-and-butter integration with the long-haul departures. I don't see that they compete much for the point-to-point casual traffic covered by Easyjet / FlyBE, so their fares are fairly irrelevant.

GAZMO
7th Mar 2016, 10:28
Just looking at flights to AGP with EZY for next two weeks from BFS
7th Mar Fully Booked
9th Mar Fully Booked
11th Mar Fully Booked
13th Mar Fully Booked
14th Mar Fully Booked
16th Mar £282
18th Mar £242
20th Mar £357

Certainly room for FR to gain pax and yields this autumn

Husky One
7th Mar 2016, 11:37
That's just the run up to Easter. The loads are always low immediate prior to silly season so no surprise there. You can get a return for £75 over many dates in April as the service goes back to daily. RYR main well gain winter pax but I very much doubt there's much yield.

BFS Dude
8th Mar 2016, 18:54
Heard a rumour that there could be another announcement due very soon and may not be Ryanair...

BFS watcher
8th Mar 2016, 19:09
The senior bods seem to be going backwards and forwards to
London a lot there's obviously something going on. Maybe more
Virgin capacity for next year?

True Blue
8th Mar 2016, 19:28
A little while back, someone posted a link on here, I think to a twitter comment from Graham Keddie. In it, he said they were working on 2 projects, which if they both came off, would really boost pax numbers at Bfs. One was obviously Fr. The other, if you think of his comments, does not sound like a 2-3 times a week service. What could it be if we are not reading too much into his comments?

BFS BHD
8th Mar 2016, 19:52
Yup, Graham Keddie has been to London 3 times in a week... Must be something in the works for him going three times in one week.....

BAW? NAX? MON? EZY increasing services?

BFS BHD
8th Mar 2016, 19:56
Fuerteventura now added for February and March 2017 for Jet2. Also April but was already on sale for April.

EI-BUD
8th Mar 2016, 20:32
I wouldn't role out Norwegian to Boston on 738, as per what was proposed for Cork. Certainly could get it off the ground faster than the Cork proposal. But I wouldn't connect London visits to this.

mart901
8th Mar 2016, 20:41
I wouldn't role out Norwegian to Boston on 738, as per what was proposed for Cork. Certainly could get it off the ground faster than the Cork proposal. But I wouldn't connect London visits to this.

Stormont have been working on a BOS link I believe.

GAZMO
8th Mar 2016, 22:20
Any new routes especially to USA most welcome

GAZMO
9th Mar 2016, 18:32
From flybe thread...MD from Liverpool airport apparently mentioned on local rado that FR are going to launch LPL to BFS!

BFS BHD
9th Mar 2016, 18:34
And Newcastle was posted in that thread to start from BFS with Ryanair.

BFS BHD
9th Mar 2016, 20:50
Graham Keddie latest tweet:

More good news on the way for the summer season @BelfastAirport should be a busy few months

GAZMO
9th Mar 2016, 20:56
His trip to London must have been fruitful:O
Any ideas from the posters?

owenc
9th Mar 2016, 21:05
Probably Virgin Atlantic

GAZMO
9th Mar 2016, 21:11
Just extending the VS season or another destination?

True Blue
9th Mar 2016, 21:23
Is Turkish no longer coming to Bfs? They seemed a sure bet last year.

owenc
9th Mar 2016, 21:26
Well whatever it is, they would need to hurry up and announce it.

GAZMO
9th Mar 2016, 21:36
Turkish, probably not as they started double daily to DUB.
Interesting!!! Would love to see Qatar coming to BFS

True Blue
9th Mar 2016, 21:40
They were established in Dub before they ever started talking about Bfs.

AIRPORT66
9th Mar 2016, 21:49
I think its extra capacity from Virgin.

owenc
9th Mar 2016, 23:41
But how much?

GAZMO
10th Mar 2016, 11:54
Have just used the business lounge at BFS. Have to admit much better then the old one. For midday, lounge has got steady business.

GAZMO
10th Mar 2016, 12:08
Didnt realise the increase in EZY seats this summer

EasyJet Summer Boost Will Lead to 100 More New Jobs (http://www.nitravelnews.com/news-stories/1655-easyjet-summer-boost-will-lead-to-100-more-new-jobs.html)

BFS watcher
10th Mar 2016, 18:27
Another 250,000 seats, looks like it is going to be a very busy summer at BFS. No wonder the MD has been in
London so much. I wonder what is next? Amazing what proper shareholders can do letting management loose. All this rubbish about the superstar management at City! Well done to the BFS guys, keep it up.

SecondDog
10th Mar 2016, 21:23
All this rubbish about the superstar management at City!

Perhaps more super-connected than super-star. Therein lies the problem methinks

Well done to the BFS guys, keep it up.

Absolutely, just hope they start to invest while things are looking up.

BHD2BFS
10th Mar 2016, 21:35
Shoot me down if you will but I still recon there is a good chance BA could move, as I would say more than 1/2 of their pax are connecting at LHR location of the city airport does not matter.
Doesn't take much to reconfigure a few walls and produce a BA lounge, they may have invested a large amount at BHD for a lounge but most of that is fittings and fixtures which can easily be relocated in a lorry

BFS BHD
12th Mar 2016, 20:11
Wonder could Ryanair give Copenhagen a go from Belfast?

Any update on when the other routes will be announced for Ryanair.

cessnarocket
13th Mar 2016, 07:11
Things must really be looking up... On Twitter looks like airport team (not sure how many actually work directly for BIA ) but my guess is 100 plus living it up and celebrating a positive week! Surely this must mean more good news. can't see them spending all that doe just for an extra 250,000 seats

GAZMO
13th Mar 2016, 09:08
Could be since GK has been going to London on a regular basis. The 250K seats have been on sale since EZY launched their summer 16 programme ages ago. ......or just a staff party before the summer season starts

ILS25
13th Mar 2016, 23:22
All 150+ BIA employees weren't invited cessnarocket. Managers only by the looks of it so not megabucks being spent on a night out. Good to see them celebrate success though. May it continue.

BFS Dude
13th Mar 2016, 23:55
Another announcement due soon?

GAZMO
14th Mar 2016, 15:15
VNO cancelled today. Any reason??

cuthere
14th Mar 2016, 15:32
Hahaha! I'm sitting here waiting for the Bristol flight and when the Vilnius cancellation was announced, I couldn't help but chuckle. Not for the poor passengers - nightmare for them - but rather I was wondering how long it'd take you to notice GAZMO!

Anyway. From the muffled announcement I heard earlier they said "techical reasons" which covers a multitude of sins. If I hear anything else, I'll post, though the inbound from BRS has arrived nice and early.

BFS BHD
14th Mar 2016, 15:58
That funny the Monday service to Vilnius and the Tuesday service to Katowice have been cancelled from January and not due to start again to next week or the week after that....

cuthere
14th Mar 2016, 17:53
What is funny, well I say funny, I mean pathetic, is that the Vilnius flight was clearly listed on the departures boards throughout the airport. Why list a flight that isn't operating? Also, I swore there was an announcement about it, but as I said, it was quite muffled. Could've been something else.

As an aside. When it comes to infrastructural investment, BFS and their oh so wonderful managers and shareholders could do worse than take a look at what's going on at BRS.

NWSRG
14th Mar 2016, 18:33
As an aside. When it comes to infrastructural investment, BFS and their oh so wonderful managers and shareholders could do worse than take a look at what's going on at BRS.

BRS has an interesting plan. I personally think the additional infrastructure is too strung out from the main terminal. However the big difference between BRS and BFS is that BRS has already made the biggest part of the jump. The new terminal building was the cornerstone for everything else. BFS still has to make that painful investment.

True Blue
14th Mar 2016, 19:16
Not sure why you use Bfs at all, Cuthere, since you always find it such a distasteful place.

cuthere
14th Mar 2016, 19:43
It has a monopoly on routes to the southwest at this time of year. I'm surprised an expert like you doesn't know that. Or does your expertise end at BFS, LGW and the misbehaviour of EZY in the way they've been shafting capacity at BFS?

If I had a choice, I'd never use the place.

True Blue
14th Mar 2016, 20:00
Cuthere, I am very well aware of what routes operate from Bfs to wherever. This might be a surprise to you, but you don't have a monopoly on knowledge. You could always fly from your local to Stn and take the train! That way, you could avoid the place you despise.

BFS BHD
14th Mar 2016, 20:07
Is Jet2 still going to operate to Geneva in W16/17 but only for tour operators? Inghams have ski holidays to Geneva on sale with Jet2 has the airline to operate the flight.

cuthere
15th Mar 2016, 01:40
Cuthere, I am very well aware of what routes operate from Bfs to wherever. This might be a surprise to you, but you don't have a monopoly on knowledge. You could always fly from your local to Stn and take the train! That way, you could avoid the place you despise

True Blue you are a True Baloon. You're advocating that I should use LDY-STN, and then a train to the southwest of England? Let's use Exeter as an example. From STN to Exeter is 218.8 miles by road. Longer by train. ANY point on the island of Ireland (that's where you live, for reference) to DUB is much, much less than that, and from DUB one could fly to many, many places.

You've missed a career in advertising True Genius. Or better still, politics.

GAZMO
15th Mar 2016, 19:23
Stats out for Feb. As reported 20% increase, nearly 4.5 million for Last 12 months
Domestic all up
LGW 22% up
LTN 33%
STN 24%
BHX 26%
BRS 10%
EDI. 9%
GLA 20%
LPL 14%
MAN 26%
NCL 17%

Selected international
AMS 31% up
ALC 49%
ACE 77%
KEF 20%
FAO 11%
KRK 14%

Extra day in month probably helped the figures slightly

mart901
15th Mar 2016, 23:08
Cracker of a month leap year or not. Great to see it. Lets see what FR do, BE seem to be turning up the heat frequency wise and I've booked quite a few flights lately with them and they are coming out cheaper than EZY, not by loads but enough to swing it.

BFS BHD
16th Mar 2016, 21:39
Appearing on the Wizz Air app as two weekly (Tuesday & Saturday):

WZZ1025 KTW-BFS - 18:40-20:40
WZZ1026 BFS-KTW - 21:10-00:50

Hopefully Vilnius appears soon and maybe more...

mart901
16th Mar 2016, 21:52
Good job! Normally Vilnius comes on sale first

BHD2BFS
16th Mar 2016, 21:54
I'm surprised we haven't heard more from Wizzair, I always thought Budapest would have been on the cards and possibly Gdansk or Warsaw

mart901
16th Mar 2016, 21:56
Just looking Katowice a lot cheaper, £18 & £28 o/w, no doubt the arrival of FR has pushed that.

Vilnius isn't on sale from other airports yet, I can't see why it won't return, both routes have virtually identical,really high pax numbers.

BFS BHD
17th Mar 2016, 20:00
Is Rome and Prague going to return for Jet2? Still appearing in the timetable on their website... Think they would take them off if they aren't going to operate to them....

BHD2BFS
19th Mar 2016, 13:04
With all the increase in pax had the airport announced which area of the airport will be upgraded next and of any new retail shops will be arriving to cope with demand?

SecondDog
19th Mar 2016, 13:41
With all the increase in pax had the airport announced which area of the airport will be upgraded next and of any new retail shops will be arriving to cope with demand?

No major announcements that I have seen but the toilet upgrades will continue next with those located beside Fed and Watered. Retail is likely to get its biggest boost from the service station going in next to Park and Fly. Lots of good brands being bandied about there.

On a side note, it seems the Causeway Lounge is a hit.

BHD2BFS
19th Mar 2016, 14:15
I thought they may have invested in a covered walkway for stand 12-15 now. Even something simple like at LPL or SEN, I'm surprised passengers have not complained and even airlines for that matter during bad weather
Even a simple pier construction

BFS BHD
20th Mar 2016, 20:56
Any update on when the other Ryanair routes will be announced?

Gatwick starts this time next week!
Airport has got check in desks etc all ready for the arrival of RYR.

Pics here: https://twitter.com/BelfastAirport/status/710441561687982080

Right between easyJet and Jet2... :ok:

EI-BUD
20th Mar 2016, 21:09
ASL Airlines will operate a number of charter flights from Belfast (as well as DUB, ORK & SNN) to Tel Aviv starting October 1st.

733 - too long a sector, but rumours that the airline will have acquired a 738 before then.

EI-BUD

BFS BHD
20th Mar 2016, 21:15
Nice to see more charter flights from BFS... Who's it for and where will it be bookable from?

EI-BUD
20th Mar 2016, 21:22
Not sure BFS BHD, it is related to a pilgrimage, this is all that I know. Not sure who the tour operator is.

BFS BHD
20th Mar 2016, 21:30
Cheers EI-BUD!

BFS BHD
21st Mar 2016, 15:33
Northern Irelands first Air Ambulance to be based at Belfast International Airport.

Air ambulance base to be Belfast International Airport - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35862226)

panpanpanpan
21st Mar 2016, 16:47
Its excellent news that we will finally have an air ambulance asset to be used for the benefit of everyone. I think Aldergrove should be a reasonably central location for most parts of the country as well.

No doubt according to Aldergrove management this should be worth at least another 100 jobs according to their reasoning recently!:ok:

Husky One
21st Mar 2016, 18:55
Ah but it would created more jobs at BHD. They could've also used the route development fund to launch new services from BHD - Ballygawley Roundabout or BHD - Dunloy traffic lights.
Joking aside it's a great development and tribute to John Hinds.

GAZMO
21st Mar 2016, 19:01
Have to agree, long, long overdue

BHD2BFS
21st Mar 2016, 19:13
Apart from the next announcement for winter routes from FR (anyone know a date)
Is it too late for EZY to add anything new? Or was BE just early announcing theirs?

GAZMO
21st Mar 2016, 19:56
I think it's mid April before EZY will announce winter routes.

Will be interesting to see if they maintain KRW three weekly. They could drop Tuesday rotation to KRK and Saturday to Lyon and try something new? Only my view

BFS BHD
23rd Mar 2016, 11:46
Heard Ryanair ad on radio a while ago for the BFS routes. Great to see!

mart901
23rd Mar 2016, 17:37
VNO on sale for winter, Mon & Fri, arrives BFS 19.30 and departs at 20.00 on both days. Some very cheap lead in fares

owenc
24th Mar 2016, 13:25
Wtf are the Phillypfppipes?

El Bunto
24th Mar 2016, 16:53
Wtf are the Phillypfppipes?
Perhaps they're here to inaugurate the new toilet block? Exciting times at BIA.

Official Website of the Philadelphia Police & Fire Pipes & Drums Band (http://www.ppfpd.org/)

Gossip about a Wamos Air 747 due in tonight on a charter, perhaps for the mil side? No futher info.

BFS BHD
24th Mar 2016, 18:19
Bell announces £4m for air route development (http://www.u.tv/News/2016/03/24/Bell-announces-4m-for-air-route-development-56291)

mart901
24th Mar 2016, 18:31
Yea! Madrid been mentioned and Lisbon during the Stormont debate

BFS BHD
24th Mar 2016, 20:13
Monday:
BFS-IBZ - 06:00-09:50
IBZ-BFS - 10:50-12:15
BFS-LPA - 14:00-18:35
LPA-BFS - 19:35-00:30

Tuesday:
BFS-TFS - 14:00-18:25
TFS-BFS - 19:25-00:00

Wednesday:
BFS-PMI - 06:00-09:55
PMI-BFS - 10:55-12:55
BFS-LCA - 13:55-21:05
LCA-BFS - 22:05-01:35

Thursday:
BFS-ACE - 07:10-11:40
ACE-BFS - 12:40-16:55
BFS-DLM - 17:55-00:30
DLM-BFS - 01:30-04:25

Friday:
BFS-TFS - 13:55-18:20
TFS-BFS - 19:20-23:55

Saturday:
BFS-PMI - 05:15-09:10
PMI-BFS - 10:10-12:10
BFS-LCA - 13:55-20:50
LCA-BFS - 21:50-01:15

Sunday:
BFS-ACE - 14:25-18:55
ACE-BFS - 19:55-00:10

Bodrum, Monday Dalaman, Heraklion and Reus not bookable (Reus likely fits in on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday morning slots.)

Ibiza returns on a Monday.
Gran Canaria now runs all year.
Tenerife up from 1 weekly to 2 weekly.

mart901
24th Mar 2016, 20:52
Good that TFS increasing, fight FR

belfastmark
24th Mar 2016, 21:43
What a absolute shame if Heraklion goes they are the only airline operating that route. Personally love Crete! Surely there would be more money made on that route vs no competition than trying to fight against Ryanair and Jet2?

BFS BHD
26th Mar 2016, 14:02
Think this is what TOM is operating in Summer 2017 no times etc yet.

Monday:
Bourgas
Ibiza

Tuesday:
Palma
Reus

Wednesday:
Mahon
Rhodes

Thursday:
Palma
Lanzarote

Friday:
Reus
Corfu

Saturday:
Palma
Gran Canaria

Sunday:
Malaga
Tenerife

New route to Gran Canaria, Dalaman dropped, Reus now 2 weekly all summer. Of course could change before they put summer 2017 on sale. This is just from looking at the Thomson | Holidays designed for you. Only from Thomson (http://www.thomson.co.uk/) website on the Destination List.

GAZMO
26th Mar 2016, 18:00
Summer season starting tomorrow. best wishes to FR at BFS and SN at BHD

Any ideas when further FR routes will be announced

cuthere
26th Mar 2016, 20:22
I see FR and EZY have flights to Gatwick at 16.10 and 16.20 respectively. Do BFS have enough "Gatwick" signs to hang up beside the departure gate?

It'll be interesting to see how numbers pan out for April, especially with an early Easter.

BFS BHD
26th Mar 2016, 21:21
Summer season starting tomorrow. best wishes to FR at BFS and SN at BHD

Any ideas when further FR routes will be announced

Next month. :ok:

True Blue
26th Mar 2016, 23:37
Is it my imagination or does the arrivals/departures info look at lot busier tomorrow than we have seen for a while? Even taking into account it is the start of the summer season.

owenc
27th Mar 2016, 00:01
Yes but it is mostly domestic destinations though which is no good.

El Bunto
27th Mar 2016, 06:36
Is it my imagination or does the arrivals/departures info look at lot busier tomorrow than we have seen for a while?
Only five more scheduled passenger movements than on Sunday 20th, 100 versus 95. That includes a couple of one-off charters today. But still up from the low-80s in January.

Saturdays will be interesting, they hit a low of 58 back in January ( even worse than Wednesdays ) but have managed to climb up to the mid-60s.

sealink
27th Mar 2016, 11:31
Any news on the FR launch?

mart901
27th Mar 2016, 15:43
http://m.newsletter.co.uk/news/ni-business-news/ryanair-opens-belfast-international-base-with-first-flights-to-gatwick-1-7298686

BFS watcher
27th Mar 2016, 17:27
First few days have no flight under 170 booked, amazing start!

GAZMO
27th Mar 2016, 17:44
Fantastic loads. I thought they might have been somewhat lower with route starting in middle of holiday period.:ok:

True Blue
27th Mar 2016, 20:31
And those 170 on 2 flights before Ezy get started, had to use another airport or route. Ezy did not serve them well at certain times of the day. I know Ezy do not have to do that, but in the process of maximising yields for themselves has left themselves open to attack, in this case from Ryanair.

mart901
27th Mar 2016, 21:16
Just bear in mind True Blue FR won't suffer losses forever, the only profit from today's flights will have been ancillary revenue. They are very good at maximising yield once they have the opportunity, look at MAN-SNN, FR muscled in pushed out 3x daily EIR and were in double daily at one point, now 5x weekly and no competition. Same on many UK - DUB routes they got complacent and through a combination of fares creeping uphill and dire customer service EI started overtaking them on numbers, they are now fighting their way back with £9.99 flights all day every day and have had to refit aircraft, change policies and website and much of it in O'Leary's own words because EZY wiped the floor with them under their noses.

True Blue
27th Mar 2016, 22:31
Mart901

I know 100% what FR are like.

Do you believe that Ezy offer good times on all routes out of Belfast? They hold themselves out as going after the business traveller. Do they offer a business friendly schedule on the Lgw route, for example? Look at their offering ex London on a Saturday during the summer, the last flight out is at 14.40. As a very regular user of Ezy, I think they have become too focused on getting the trips out and back to Spain in. Remember, that all companies are capable of one big mistake, they lose sight of their "why". The big banks, big energy suppliers, Tesco, all became so focused on profit that they lost sight of the bigger picture. Profit was all that mattered, at the expense of other issues they should have been taking into account. Profit is very important, but you need to consider the paying customer, will they want to buy what you have.

And FR are not the only one capable of cutting when it suits. We have just had our BA flights from Gatwick to Bodrum canned in July. That has caused us just as big a problem as a FR cancellation would do.

Bfs has seen a big increase in pax these past few months. I believe that is because Ezy has lifted capacity. What explanation do you offer, as you certainly can't say there has been this great improvement in our economy?

DC9_10
28th Mar 2016, 14:22
Ezy and Fr loads to London and returns have been nearly full all weekend so a big uptake in pax numbers. Think Gatwick will take over as the number 1 destination from Belfast very soon. See Flybe emergency yesterday made the Dash return with 37 pax. Obviously the competition affecting Flybe loads already.

BFS BHD
29th Mar 2016, 18:41
I know its early days and times could change but Ibiza as moved from 06:00 to 07:25 departure and not getting back to 14:25 instead of 12:15.

Las Palmas is meant to depart at 14:00. Could this mean a 2nd aircraft coming or just still updating flights.

BFS-IBZ - 07:25-11:20
IBZ-BFS - 12:20-14:25

BFS-LPA - 14:00-18:35
LPA-BFS - 19:35-00:30

GAZMO
29th Mar 2016, 19:27
Probably push the LPA back by an hour or so arriving back in BFS at 1.30am? Can't see an extra aircraft unless they can find 12 plus destinations

PPRuNeUser0176
31st Mar 2016, 21:48
TCX confirm flights to Orlando, Las Vegas and Cancun in 2017.

mart901
31st Mar 2016, 21:57
Wow 😲 brilliant news

BHD2BFS
31st Mar 2016, 23:00
What will the requency be?

PPRuNeUser0176
31st Mar 2016, 23:20
What will the requency be?

No idea but:
Cancun commences 28 June 2017 and will likely be at least one or two flights in July 2017 also, should be on sale next week or week after.

Las Vegas 21 March 2017, not sure about more but on sale lather today.

Orlando, TBA, not going on sale for a few weeks but one would expect 2-3 flights like Cancun.

All A330 operated.

owenc
1st Apr 2016, 05:06
There is more demand for Orlando. It will probably be 5 or 6 flights along with Virgin so 12 flights.

AIRPORT66
1st Apr 2016, 09:51
Cancun will be 4 flights,Las Vegas 2.

BFS BHD
1st Apr 2016, 14:17
Thomas Cook announces further long haul expansion | ... (http://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2016/april/thomas-cook-announces-further-long-haul-expansion)

mart901
1st Apr 2016, 16:49
Really so positive! Nice one TCX

True Blue
1st Apr 2016, 22:28
Just been looking at Fr to Lgw for Sunday 10th April. 3 of the flights ex Belfast and 1 ex Lgw have 9 or less seats available, according to the search I just did. Amazing.

DC9_10
1st Apr 2016, 23:12
Loads on both EZY and FR seem to be heavy. STN LTN also holding up. BE to LCY seems to be the most affected as does LHR. LGW at the rate of loads is likely to be the no1 destination from NI

Jamie2k9
1st Apr 2016, 23:16
Loads on both EZY and FR seem to be heavy. STN LTN also holding up. BE to LCY seems to be the most affected as does LHR. LGW at the rate of loads is likely to be the no1 destination from NI

People who fly to LCY are not the type to fly to LGW, what makes FR more appealing than EZY/EI.

Given it's also Easter break, little early to judge. EZY may well hold up with loads but yield must of taking a hammering.

DC9_10
1st Apr 2016, 23:28
Business is more savvy Jamie these days and I'm just expressing what I can see from GDS systems. LGW will be the number 1 very soon. LCY loads have dropped very quickly in such a short period LHR is mostly connecting and business can now mix and match at BFS/LGW to get the best deal.

Jamie2k9
1st Apr 2016, 23:46
Business is more savvy Jamie these days and I'm just expressing what I can see from GDS systems. LGW will be the number 1 very soon. LCY loads have dropped very quickly in such a short period LHR is mostly connecting and business can now mix and match at BFS/LGW to get the best deal.

They didn't get savvy within 10 days. Of course FR and EZY are doing well as EI carried around 20k per month so they will automatically continue to fly to LGW or and other London airport however it would never be LCY given it was LGW in the first place.

DC9_10
1st Apr 2016, 23:56
I'm advising what I can see on GDS and LCY loads have dropped. So, explain who are the people who fly to LCY who would never comprehend flying to any other London airport Jamie.

Jamie2k9
2nd Apr 2016, 00:04
'm advising what I can see on GDS and LCY loads have dropped. So, explain who are the people who fly to LCY who would never comprehend flying to any other London airport Jamie.

Provide the data for 12 months ago to make a comparison. Comparing this week with a few weeks ago is not a comparison.

All I am saying is people who use LCY traditionally would not use LGW. It's also bound to take the market to adjust to changes so they may be a short term drop but I wouldn't worry about it. It's the soft fares which FR/EZY will need to worry about.

Remember EI have upped LHR capacity by 180 seats per day at BHD.

DC9_10
2nd Apr 2016, 00:17
Past data is of no use Jamie. It's the future data that matters. The LCY loads were around 49% at highest currently at around 28%. The route has not been operating that long and has nosedived. It's the future bookings that matter most and I have been in aviation and in revenue management to know that fora long time.

EGAC is Better
2nd Apr 2016, 09:47
Not really a brilliant day from Ryanair yesterday. 2 returns over 3 hours late in each direction. Nice losses on those flights if everyone clams their compensation. On the other hand, brilliant earner for anyone who bought flights for next to nothng!

DC9_10
2nd Apr 2016, 10:22
Flights were around 2 hours and 10 mins late. Not 3 hours Ezy were also running very late last night. LPL heaviest delay. Weather at Gatters was to blame so I don't think Ryanair and easyJet can control that.

cuthere
2nd Apr 2016, 10:55
Flights were around 2 hours and 10 mins late. Not 3 hours Ezy were also running very late last night. LPL heaviest delay. Weather at Gatters was to blame so I don't think Ryanair and easyJet can control that.

FR1138 departed BFS around 23.30. Now, doing the complex maths, I make that around three and a half hours later than the scheduled 20.00 departure. Also, nothing like CAVOK conditions at Gatwick with a 6KT surface wind to ruin operations. However, why does it surprise me that someone on the BFS thread is talking bolleaux? I should be used to it by now.

EGAC is Better
2nd Apr 2016, 11:11
I think if you do the maths 4 flights were over 3hrs late. The reason for the delay was that one aircraft had to divert to Dublin and needed replacing. That put the delays within the rules for €250 compensation per passenger.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-fov

cuthere
2nd Apr 2016, 11:26
I'm retty sure I made it clear I was referring to one specific flight EGAC. I have no knowledge of the other three you refer to, and unlike some on here, won't claim to have information when in fact I don't. DC9 seems to think he/she knows something we don't. They do not.

EI-BUD
2nd Apr 2016, 11:47
DC9-10

What is your basis for your assertion that 'BE is most affected ' on the London route to LCY?

28% is for what period? It is fair to at that LCY BHD is largely a business route, hence at this stage to log at Easter a defining period is a tad premature. The LCY has attracted string numbers, albeit the loads as you show are low enough. There seems to be good demand for the route, though with BA now offering a much earlier departure than their winter offering, will compete more strongly for the business traveller, more over they may to some extent benefit from the closure of LGW BHD route.

The coming months of analysis of the complete Belfast London market will tell a tale about how sensitive the travelling public are regarding which airport. There is marginally more capacity on LHR with EI now using 320 v 319LY , but a significant increase in pax on LHR and LCY says that there are significant numbers who will use BHD at any cost. There is significant capacity on the 2 BHD routes to support growth in traffic...

True Blue
2nd Apr 2016, 14:18
PinOnTheRight

I knew exactly what I was looking at and it was not as you suggest.

dantheflyboy
3rd Apr 2016, 10:58
Why is it flybe gets talked down at every opportunity? Lcy has taken a dip in loads due to Easter as would be expected on a business route, next weeks loads are back to normal and judging by fares being paid by passengers I would guess flybe getting reasonable yield.
Quoting load factors is also not an exact science as each flight is capped taking into account weather, runway and weight. I have never seen a full 78 seats available it ranges between 70-75.
I wish all airlines success as this adds to the local economy. Personally I have booked flights on flybe, Aerlingus and EasyJet this summer. Further more I base my choice on timings more than just the cheapest fare.
It is a marketplace open to all to decide and I feel it is damaging to slant comments to suggest an airline is in trouble based on personal opinion or a snapshot of such a short period. This comments can be taken as fact and have an affect on passengers confidence to make future bookings on a particular airline or route.

panpanpanpan
3rd Apr 2016, 15:50
Dan, unfortunately there are posters on these forums that will only be happy when FlyBe and/or Harbour close down. I find it very hard to understand especially when these same posters have allegedly no direct interest in either business. There is an air of glee when there is any perceived dip in loads or revenue for anything other than the glorious Aldergrove, this is of course judged by these self proclaimed experts from the comfort of their armchair.:mad:

I still stick to the principle of competition and the fact that choice leaves everyone in NI plc better off overall. If Harbour and FlyBe were to disappear overnight then Aldergrove still wouldn't turn into a serious Dublin competitor. It appears this thread and also the Harbour one is populated by check-in agents and aerosexuals all desperate to outdo each other on the doom messages regarding Harbour and any business associated with it, its a pity as there can be some quite interesting things posted but you need a fairly robust bullsh*t filter to find them.:hmm:

mart901
3rd Apr 2016, 15:52
Last week statements like 'only 37 on board, FR having effect already' were being bounced about. Let me tell you I flew a few months ago on a Sunday evening LCY-BHD before even FR had made announcement and there wasn't 35 on the aircraft, its predominantly a business route. And no matter how cheap LGW is its still in West Sussex, not East London. The speed and ease of flying city to city is unbeatable. As for LHR it will always have connecting pax and it has tube line and good motorway access to many places. It may loose business but what goes round comes round. Filling large aircraft at a loss won't last forever.