PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

GAZMO
23rd Dec 2014, 14:17
Oops slip of the finger should be CPH

BFS BHD
23rd Dec 2014, 15:06
Still nothing on sale... EI-A330-300 where did you hear about CPH going on sale? Do you know when its to be announced??

EI-A330-300
23rd Dec 2014, 17:28
It was not officially announced by EZY. Didn't give a season but suspect it may be winter 15 and I agree not sure daily is a good idea.

BHD2BFS
28th Dec 2014, 12:55
just wondering if anyone knows what the flying schedule will be like this year at BFS
when does the aircraft arrive for summer and leave?
also will it be a sunwings b738 as usual?

AIRPORT66
28th Dec 2014, 14:03
The TOM schedule for next summer is the same no change it will be the sunwings aircraft again the second edition Thomson/Firstchoice flying programme for next year is just out nothing new in it but they are looking at there Bfs flying programme my be something different for 2016.

owenc
30th Dec 2014, 02:31
Seen United airlines is still on.. Thought it would've stopped by now but it is actually ending on the 6th January and then coming back on the 12th March.

Bookings are quite high for recent flights, looking at seatmaps.. Is there honestly any point in getting rid of the flight for 8 weeks lol? :bored: it seems like a pointless exercise.

BFS BHD
30th Dec 2014, 02:45
Was always stopping 6th Jan 2015 for a while. :)

BHD2BFS
30th Dec 2014, 08:24
When it was announced was the airport not still owned by the Spanish company, maybe this was done at the time to prove something?

However considering the airport is owned by an American company surely another deal could have been reached with an American airline

Maybe it's too early to say but seems yet again we won't have a direct link with Canada this summer

AIRPORT66
30th Dec 2014, 11:43
Your right no link to Canada but lot going on behind the scene in relation to new business for Belfast.

speedrestriction
30th Dec 2014, 19:28
Surprised to hear CPH; would have had guessed at a few others before. Maybe SXF, MXP, VCE, LIS or even MAD.

BFS Dude
30th Dec 2014, 20:19
EI-A330-300 have you any link/source to the info about easyJet to Copenhagen Airport (CPH) from Belfast International Airport (BFS)?

Thanks.

BFS BHD
30th Dec 2014, 22:39
Is Wizz Air just Summer flights into BFS from Katowice and Vilnius or are they planning on operating year round when Winter flights go on sale.

If they are does anyone know when winter flights go on sale? And if they are planning on any new route for Winter or even for S15?

EI-BUD
30th Dec 2014, 23:49
A330, I have to say I view you as a very reliable source on this thread, and I'd be thrilled to see a CPH link.

However, I struggle to see how a daily CPH could work when a Paris only satisfies easyJet on 6 days a week and AMS just over daily ( some days 2 ). That said easyJet are well informed before they make new route decisions.

EI-A330-300
31st Dec 2014, 00:12
As I said wasn't from EZY officially and agree a daily service to CPH or all places is crazy.

https://twitter.com/wolflittle/status/547316964922646528

davieboy28
31st Dec 2014, 01:23
According to twitter no formal decision has been taken.

https://twitter.com/julianoneill/status/547323781140979712

OnTheRamp
31st Dec 2014, 12:38
It has to be assumed that if CPN is to be daily, Easyjet have done their homework. Business travel will play a big part in this decision as Danske Bank send alot of staff back and forwards on a daily basis.
Links with cruise companies will also play a big part as i believe quite a few cruise leave/finish in Copenhagen.

stab3.5up
31st Dec 2014, 13:05
yeah but still daily! a few times a week maybe.

BFS Dude
1st Jan 2015, 00:59
Any more word on Turkish Airways coming to BFS in 2016?
Guessing to late to start for S15.

SecondDog
1st Jan 2015, 13:08
When it was announced was the airport not still owned by the Spanish company, maybe this was done at the time to prove something?

However considering the airport is owned by an American company surely another deal could have been reached with an American airline

Maybe it's too early to say but seems yet again we won't have a direct link with Canada this summer

No, owned by ADC & HAS (now Airports Worldwide) at the time of announcement but I don't think it would have made much difference as there wasn't too much notice before the decision was made. Don't forget they stopped several services at other airports for the same period as well so it will be an economics based decision. Hopefully with better planning, it won't happen again in '16.

Airports Worldwide is actually backed by a large Canadian pensions fund, so it surprises me too that Canada isn't on the cards quite yet (although I'm absolutely sure they are working on it)

All in all, there seems to be a bit of impetus at last. Lets hope it continues.

eastern wiseguy
1st Jan 2015, 14:54
First of all let me say that I hope things continue to improve for BFS in 2015. It has been a rough few years but ,at last,they seem to be turning the corner.

I wonder though at the link some v people on here are making between the current owners and a route choice.

I have absolutely no doubt that the marketing department will be working hard to achieve sustainable profitable routes. The fact is though ,that the owners want the same. The pension fund backers are blind to whether or not a Canadian route is desirable. Whether a Canadian route can turn a few bucks for them is their prime concern.

It was demonstrated in the not too distant past that NI and the border counties COULD sustain MULTIPLE routes to Canada and the US. Until the economic situation in the average punters disposable income improves THAT sustainability and profitability may remain in doubt.

Before I left 18 months ago there was talk of Emirates or Etihad pitching up. Ryanair are conspicuous by their absence and there was even a discussion of a weekly CHINA (airline unknown) . Nothing has happened with those ideas (so far as we know) .

Perhaps 2015 will be different.

GAZMO
1st Jan 2015, 16:51
Just noticed a FR departure from BFS

FR428 DUBLIN 17:20

Is this a diverted flight?

BFS BHD
1st Jan 2015, 16:53
Yep diverted in from DUB earlier due to high winds.

BFS Dude
1st Jan 2015, 16:58
Is Belfast International now Ryanairs divert airport? Thought it would of went to Shannon?

Cozy F
1st Jan 2015, 18:40
Yeah interesting - Ryanair seem to favour BFS for diversion activity. Think it's been that way for a while now. :ok:

BHD2BFS
1st Jan 2015, 18:58
Last month they diverted to BHD

Una Due Tfc
1st Jan 2015, 22:12
Mountain waves are usually a problem when runway 16 is in use at Dublin, so go arounds and diversions are more common.

BFS BHD
1st Jan 2015, 22:56
Thought i would ask to see what you guys would like to see in teams of new routes or airlines announced in 2015.

Mine would be:

- Turkish Airways - Istanbul
- KLM - Amsterdam
- Germanwings/Eurowings - Cologne
- easyJet - Copenhagen, Berlin & Paphos
- Jet2 - Dalaman, Bodrum & Larnaca
- Thomson Airways - Alicante, Heraklion, Rhodes & Zante
- Norwegian Air Shuttle - Oslo & Stockholm
- Lufthansa - Frankfurt
- Air Canada Rouge - Toronto
- WestJet - St. John's then to Toronto

GAZMO
2nd Jan 2015, 06:03
Perfect choice!!!

stab3.5up
2nd Jan 2015, 09:54
I would suggest Germanwings and no Lufthansa. Hows about QR ?

madgav
2nd Jan 2015, 11:21
Hows about QR ?Would be most welcome. I'd prefer EK, but would be more than happy to see QR.... :ok:

stab3.5up
2nd Jan 2015, 17:54
When we rumourate on here we tend to forget downstairs on flights ie cargo. This could be the selling point for something like QR as all pallets of cargo are on thw whole sent by road out of here to connect with freigter services in MAN/AMS etc. A more direct routeto the eastern markets of middle near and far east may work

speedrestriction
3rd Jan 2015, 09:05
Belfast will not get ahead of Dublin no matter what routes it offers and you are deluding yourself if you think it could.

1) DUB is right beside the biggest population centre (by far) on the island.

2) Anyone from Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway or any of the medium sized regional towns would have to drive by Dublin Airport and then keep on driving for another two hours before they would get to BFS. Or let me put it another way - would you drive from Belfast to Cork to catch a flight to Moscow or Athens? Me, I would catch a flight to LGW with Easy or LHR with BA and connect.

3) Departure taxes are less from the Republic (albeit the difference may reduce in future).

4) As you pointed out Belfast and Dublin are on the same piece of rock. Anyone operating from both airports would be diluting their yields.

Don't get me wrong, I like BFS. It serves a great range of destinations for a reasonably small population centre. It is not and for the foreseeable future won't be anywhere near in the same league as Dublin Airport which has five times the number of passengers going through its doors every year.

ia350
3rd Jan 2015, 10:26
Totally agree , I know you want your airport to do well , but put a bit of perspective into things , Dublin gets 20 million plus which for a capital in a country with 5 million plus is excellent figures .

madgav
3rd Jan 2015, 10:41
I suspect the implication was that BFS could get ahead in certain areas not already served from DUB, not that BFS would get ahead in terms of overall pax numbers ;)
I agree with your point 2 though, personally I would connect any day before driving to DUB, SNN or ORK. But don't forget that BFS is as conveniently or more conveniently located than DUB for a large part of the island.
You're right about the curse of APD which is probably hurting BFS much more than any other UK airport.
Not sure I'm 100% on board with the "great range of destinations"....... we're doing ok, but we're still missing a fair few airlines/routes that even some smaller UK airports have.
Oh and just to be pedantic, DUB may have 5x the pax of BFS, but remember it's only 3x the pax of BFS+BHD :ok:

owenc
3rd Jan 2015, 19:06
A hello I said Belfast could get ahead of Dublin in those sectors and empty markets that aren't being met in Dublin.. Not that Belfast could get 20 million passengers.

Belfast could definitely do with a few legacy carriers such as KLM and Turkish airlines, we have enough Easyjet flights for now.

carsonEGAD
3rd Jan 2015, 19:39
Belfast could definitely do with a few legacy carriers such as KLM and Turkish airlines, we have enough Easyjet flights for now.

With TK going 14 weekly from 12 weekly I think there's possibly more chance of them increasing frequencies in DUB than launching BFS but you never know after the rumours not too long ago.

And I'd say there's more chance of seeing KLM fly to DUB using their own equipment (rather than EI codeshare) than them flying to BHD/BFS, would be great to have another choice for connections though.

Una Due Tfc
3rd Jan 2015, 22:59
Just to pedantic, there's 4 daily flights to the UAE from DUB, not 3.

As for QR, I'm guessing they have much higher priorities than BFS or DUB, but time will tell. A lot of 787s and A350s due over the next couple of years

BFS BHD
4th Jan 2015, 14:06
Looks like Jet2 has already based the 3rd passenger aircraft at Belfast International.

G-CELY, G-GDFN & G-GDFM are based at the minute as well as the ALL CARGO aircraft G-CELW. :)

BHD2BFS
4th Jan 2015, 14:55
What will be used then?
2 x 300
1 x 800

BFS BHD
4th Jan 2015, 14:56
All are -300s :)

stab3.5up
4th Jan 2015, 19:27
Does QR not use 321 a/c to somwhere in Europe or have I had one to many sweet sherries at newyear?

EI-BUD
4th Jan 2015, 19:36
QR uses 320 family into Geneva.

EI-A330-300
4th Jan 2015, 19:49
QR have discussed with DUB recently but their lack of long haul aircraft is a problem...really think TK is the best bet medium tern for links to Asia.

stab3.5up
4th Jan 2015, 20:11
well at least I know I wasn't overdosing on Sherry

AIRPORT66
4th Jan 2015, 20:34
Suppose we will hear about the 4th aircraft coming in the next few months.

OneBellEnd
4th Jan 2015, 20:42
Don't know about fleet availability but would have thought Qatar in BFS must have some legs?

Think there must be big numbers of people and cargo going south to etihad and Emirates. Don't they both employ staff full time in the north just to keep the flow going?

Surely it would be in local Gov interest and airport, airline interest to make this a priority. Big investment from the Gulf and direct access into asia, and an opportunity for QR to come into probably the biggest market in Uk Ireland without Middle East flights, at the same time picking up a big piece of a ready made local market that has been developed by the other two competitors?

Seems to me this would be well worth a punt.

BFS BHD
4th Jan 2015, 20:45
Hopefully AIRPORT66! :)

Anyone know if Jet2 will add any new ski flights from BFS for W15/16? Would love to see Salzburg return with Chambery.... And possibly Verona?

owenc
4th Jan 2015, 23:17
Qatar is further than America. An A321 would never reach here.

Btw Belfast had a fuel stop today!!! https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL76/history/20150104/1110Z/EGAA/KALB :eek:

EGAC is Better
4th Jan 2015, 23:28
Speedrection makes a pretty cast iron case above and it is (unfortunately) a view I agree with. Dublin simply has the best catchment are for the whole island and thats all beancounters/route planners are interested in.

In addition to everything said above, I'd imagine Willie Walsh as chief of OneWorld and IAG would have something to say about a OneWorld partner stepping on BA's toes in Belfast. Qatar seems unlikely.

Only one thing for it......better increase our population and wealth. Fast :O

All names taken
5th Jan 2015, 08:33
With my links to NI, I've been a frequent visitor for years but what has always struck me about the place (apart from the friendliness of folks) is just how unpopulated it is. Even Belfast feels like a small city.

The entire population of NI is similar to Kent and is a lot poorer.
There just isn't the demand. Dublin is the main port of call for the island.

Belfast will continue to serve mainly GB destinations, bucket and spade and the usual city break places. Nothing wrong with that - it's what people want. Those that want something more exotic seem quite happy to head to Dublin.

Talk of flights from Belfast to a long haul middle east hub are premature to say the least given that none of main European hubbing airlines currently see any value in serving Belfast.

Booyaaka
5th Jan 2015, 09:10
The above post by All Names Taken is the most sensible I've read on here for quite some time - a welcome reality check!

SecondDog
5th Jan 2015, 16:26
Aye, sure why not just stop trying. Or even maybe we should just close the airport and not bother anymore.

Tosh.

You think DUB has developed all those routes because the airlines are making super money? or was it because they have been incentivised by various parties in the startup/maintenance of routes?

Just because a big business is well established, doesn't mean other businesses can't try to come up as well.

The negativity of this place baffles me.

owenc
5th Jan 2015, 17:50
Its negative because its people who aren't even from Northern Ireland.

And I believe it was quoted that Dublin has 500,000 passengers on transatlantic flights from NI. One problem is no one knows about the routes and another is they don't try.

Like what is the point in Virgin Atlantic flying 4 days in July. Its a waste of time.. The price is a rip off aswell. Anywonder people goto Dublin. And Northern Ireland is not underpopulated, we have 1.9 million people and a population density placed 8th in the United States.

It is England that is overpopulated.

Skipness One Echo
6th Jan 2015, 00:09
That's exactly how VS started GLA ops and now they're three B744s in summer each week....
They're *very* pricey out of GLA as they're priced as high as the market will bear, aimed at parents with kids looking to fly in school holidays and fly non stop.

BFS BHD
6th Jan 2015, 00:19
Yes they are called 'Trial Flights' and i'm hearing the flights are selling well!

Hoping to see more flights added for Summer 2016!! :)

BFS Dude
6th Jan 2015, 11:48
Looks like Belfast International are losing out on another airline!

KLM is starting daily flights from AMS-Belfast City from May.

Come on BFS!!! :rolleyes:

:*

owenc
6th Jan 2015, 12:27
So wait are VS going to come in August too? I wasn't aware Glasgoe had 3 747's daily.

I really hope it doesn't impact United though.

BFS Dude
7th Jan 2015, 17:08
Has Belfast International Airport always been on the drop down list on Scandinavian Airlines website?

BFS BHD
7th Jan 2015, 21:02
Another airport blog out confirms easyJets new routes that are planned, a Canada route and Turkish Airways starting in 2016!!

It’s back to normal!

The Christmas and New Year passenger rush is over, and it’s full speed ahead for 2015!

We have new services commencing this year, notably Jet2 with four new destinations, Virgin Atlantic to Florida and new arrival, Wizz Air.

We’re quietly confident that easyJet will expand into new European destinations, so watch this space. There’s a strong likelihood that the International will add up to ten new routes during what is set to be a busy 12-month period.

As we prepare for a return to growth, work will continue on a range of improvements throughout the Terminal.

We have our sights set on much, much more. Work will continue to re-establish a Canadian service and 2015 will see all the preparation for the planned start of a direct Turkish Airlines Belfast-Istanbul service next year.

Airlines have expansion back on their agendas, and our mission is to ensure that the International and Northern Ireland are on their wish-lists.

So, in a tangible sense, what’s good for the International is good for the wider economy. Only the International is capable of delivering the type of long-haul international growth that this region requires, but it has to have support from the Assembly and Executive if it’s to succeed.

In short, what we want is a scheme or programme that boosts this sector and provides practical start-up financial assistance to airlines. We do it for inward investment projects and this sector is no different.

This business never rests on its laurels. We’ve hit the ground running, and that’s the pace we will maintain for the rest of 2015.

We will continue to campaign for the devolution of Air Passenger Duty (APD). APD will not apply to under-12s this year, and u-16s from next year, but it’s still a barrier to growth and a disadvantage we have to contend with when Dublin has sensibly jettisoned the tax.

We’ll do our bit but others will have to make their contribution if we’re to realise our full potential as a region.

Graham Keddie
Managing Director

Full speed ahead for busy 2015 - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/blog/4/418/full-speed-ahead-for-busy-2015.html)

EI-A330-300
7th Jan 2015, 21:15
well at least I know I wasn't overdosing on Sherry

Nope you were not, sometime in 2015 it could happen. A previously mentioned date has passed but its coming and soon.

owenc
8th Jan 2015, 10:34
I'll see it when I see it. 10 new routes and Canada.

YAH right. How many times have we been told about Canada now.
And lets get us a proper airline i.e. Air Canada, none of this charter nonsense.

Skipness One Echo
8th Jan 2015, 20:10
Canada will be a huge challenge, it's been a while since YYZ was offered from BFS and both Aer Lingus and Air Canada Rouge have launched DUB-YYZ so overall capacity is massively up. In that scenario, BFS seems less likely.
Note : DUB does not get "real" mainline Air Canada so forget BFS, any port in a storm Owen!

speedrestriction
8th Jan 2015, 21:09
I don't really see the KLM as a miss for BFS - as a destination AMS is already served albeit the demand clearly isn't there in the quieter times of the year for a daily service. The 'loser' here will be BA as I suspect KLM are more interested in luring connecting long haul passengers away from LHR. It will be interesting to see how their fares stack up against the low cost operators on the single sector and against BA on sector+connecting flights. The Euro vs GBP rate may make a connection through Schipol very attractive.

owenc
8th Jan 2015, 22:39
Ok well um whatever happens i would prefer a proper scheduled service and not a charter 2 flights a summer service as that is a waste.

Anyway 3 planes have diverted into Belfast and another is coming in now.

EI-BUD
8th Jan 2015, 23:11
Speed restriction,

No being in the defence of BFS, but you will find a daily service is very much in demand all year round ex BFS. But I agree KLM much better suited to BHD and they'll do well there.

BFS BHD
9th Jan 2015, 09:15
Jet2 has just put Verona on sale for Wednesdays from 20th May 2015.

EXS379 BFS-VRN 14:45-18:25
EXS380 VRN-BFS 19:10-20:50

speedrestriction
9th Jan 2015, 09:17
There is no doubt a certain level of demand for a daily but obviously not enough to justify one on a 150+ seat aircraft in the depths of February for a company who is selling the seat on a point to point basis. It may be the case that KLM will be able to justify the cost of a daily year round by propping up yield through the sale of business fares along with making a profit from passengers with onward long haul connections.

EI-BUD
9th Jan 2015, 09:44
speedrestriction,

There is no doubt a certain level of demand for a daily but obviously not
enough to justify one on a 150+ seat aircraft in the depths of February for a
company who is selling the seat on a point to point basis. It may be the case
that KLM will be able to justify the cost of a daily year round by propping up
yield through the sale of business fares along with making a profit from
passengers with onward long haul connections.

The route does very well all year round, there is in every market a dip in demand in the low winter months, especially mid week. Belfast Amsterdam is no different. As a result of not offering connecting traffic inevitably easyJet do not get such business. The lack of other services from Europe and that area in particular sees a wide area of Benelux and Germany using AMS to Belfast BFS.

The same comment could be said of all routes - i.e. that the Winter does not sustain the usual level of passengers.

BFS AMS carries an average of 8313 pax per month (as per CAA stats available for the most recent months for 1 year). Jan last did 5665 (68% of average - almost 60% LF) and Feb did 63% LF on 6071 pax. worth nothing that some months had more than 7 flights per week. So all in all well worth operating in Winter months.

I suspect easyJet will step up frequency to keep the heat on competiton for point to point traffic.

EI-BUD

speedrestriction
9th Jan 2015, 13:31
Hi EI-BUD,

I agree with what you have said; from the point of view of yield management, the fact that there is competition alters the economics of the route. The current strategy of operating fewer days in the winter weeks won't work to boost LF for the operating days any more. Looking ahead to the summer the two operators are within a whisker of eachother on price. It will be interesting to see how the fares compare as the aircraft fill up closer to the time.

stab3.5up
9th Jan 2015, 15:32
I suspect that KLM and EZY despite borh going to AMS are pitching at different markets. KLM are offering a TWO class full service. The only airline that is operating business class cabin to AMS from both BHD and DUB. I would suggest a half full C class cabin with nice C class onwards probably pays for the entire flight.

BCALBOY
9th Jan 2015, 17:38
I agree that KLMs object in operating the route will be to feed their network ex AMS both Longhaul and short haul e.However , I would suggest that will also need point to point traffic to achieve reasonable loads ,even is this is low yielding and will compete hard with U2 for the Pt 2 Pt traffic.

Also, so far as I am aware Dub/Ams is not operated by KLM ,Rather ,they leave it to Aer Lingus to feed their Ams hub.
As EI do not currently offer Business class ,BHD will be the only airport on the island of Ireland to offer KLM service and the only service offering a business class product .Someone correct me if I'm wrong !

stab3.5up
9th Jan 2015, 17:54
Re business class that is correct.

Hangar6
9th Jan 2015, 18:02
Is it not a city hopper service ? Small jet, are there really 2 cabins in this day and age? It's not KL mainline or did I read it wrong ?

AIRPORT66
9th Jan 2015, 18:50
76 seat Fokker70 is being used.

owenc
9th Jan 2015, 19:20
They are selling economy seats. It is not a business class CABIN.

stab3.5up
9th Jan 2015, 20:52
I beg to differ as you have the option on the booking engine to book business. 300 odd pounds. Website explains all the business class benifits and row 6 is called economy plus or something

BCALBOY
9th Jan 2015, 21:02
Yeah.

If you google...

Klm introduces new seats on klm cityhopper Fokker 70 aircraft

The article talks creating even more space while reducing number of rows in their European business class.

I don't know if this differs from Klm mainline European business but it would seem that a C service is sold on this flight and as mentioned they do quote a business fare ,the dates Ichecked quoted GBP 623 r/t !

EI-BUD
9th Jan 2015, 22:18
Aer Lingus is reevaluating reintroduction of a business cabin on European routes... Not that it's highly relevant to the conversation, but it has been cited in the media ...

BFS BHD
9th Jan 2015, 22:44
Should this topic of KLM not be in the Belfast City Airport thread?? :ok:

owenc
9th Jan 2015, 23:40
Thats your opinion but I'm pretty sure the business seats are just economy seats with a divider between them.

EI-BUD
10th Jan 2015, 01:04
Owenc,

'Opinion', are you referring to my post? Not my opinion was in the media, EI said they are evaluating it. I expect it will be like BA, separated at front more leg room, food, extra miles, flexible ticket etc.

Ironically Ryanair use the term Business Class in their advertising in relation to their flexible tickets targeted at the business traveller !!!

Aaron9890
10th Jan 2015, 05:26
Someone has put Turkish Airlines into BFS wiki page to Istanbul starting spring 2016. Take It this isn't confirmed?

Apart from that though the variety of routes are starting to look good from Belfast. Can't wait to get the 747 back at the airport again. It's also been a while since I've seen Las Vegas on the list. Don't think I've seen flights to Cuba from Belfast at all before. I wonder how well that route will go. All we need now is a route to Germany preferably Berlin and Munich. But most of all I want a route to Toronto!!!! Surely there's an airline that sees the potential of this route, it would be so popular...I really wonder why they can't get an airline to do it.

owenc
10th Jan 2015, 12:01
No, I want a proper scheduled service as i've said before. No one wants a 4 times in the summer kind of route, its a complete waste of time.

Una Due Tfc
10th Jan 2015, 12:20
Well the 3 big Canadian carriers already serve DUB, with the 2 cities only 90 mins apart now I would personally doubt they would launch a second service to a city so close to one of their current destinations. That really only leaves the tour operators as far as I can see, maybe EXS or TCX.

owenc
11th Jan 2015, 11:43
The Northern Irish population have much larger connections to Canada than ROI.

carsonEGAD
11th Jan 2015, 12:15
Would there be any demand for a flight to the Far East such as China, Japan, India etc? But then again we'll probably see a Far East flight from Dublin before Belfast, even 3x weekly would be decent.

ia350
11th Jan 2015, 12:21
Then why hasn't it happened ? I'm sure west jet certainly would have looked at Belfast but decided Dublin instead and they had their best ever bookings after the route was announced .

GAZMO
11th Jan 2015, 21:07
Nice to see Verona on the schedule with Jet2 for this summer. Hopefully more to come

El Bunto
12th Jan 2015, 07:31
I'm sure west jet certainly would have looked at Belfast but decided Dublin instead and they had their best ever bookings after the route was announced .

The Dublin service was a happy result of Westjet placing a maintenance contract in Shannon, the rumour is that there was a suggestion from DAA that they could call-in to Dublin en route to make a revenue sector.

The sort of proactive thinking that Belfast has lacked.

SecondDog
12th Jan 2015, 09:27
Easy to be pro-active in Dublin, plenty of investment there of one form or another.

Different in the private sector :mad:

confused atco
12th Jan 2015, 09:41
Westjet placing a maintenance contract in Shannon
With whom?
Can you post a link?

Easy to be pro-active in Dublin, plenty of investment there of one form or another.
Different in the private sector
I hate to disappoint you but the DAA is a commercial operation and receives no funding from the Irish Government.

So its private sector too.
It must raise funds for future development on the open market same as other commercial operators.

SecondDog
12th Jan 2015, 13:14
I hate to disappoint you but the DAA is a commercial operation and receives no funding from the Irish Government.

So its private sector too.
It must raise funds for future development on the open market same as other commercial operators

Ways and means, smoke and mirrors.

confused atco
12th Jan 2015, 17:03
Ways and means, smoke and mirrors.

:ugh::ugh:

GAZMO
12th Jan 2015, 17:57
Some strange arrivals tonight on BFS arrivals board

BID3A LIVERPOOL 22:00 22:00 22:00
BID3C EDINBURGH 01:20 01:20 01:20

Any ideas?

justanotherloser
12th Jan 2015, 18:35
"Ways and means, smoke and mirrors"

Really? With FR wathcing every move and an aviation regulator?

This is bonkers talk. Why do some Northerners always perceive some craftiness involved when something south of the Irish border does well? It couldnt just be that Dublin is by far the largest population centre, is more centrally located to more people, and is far and away the largest demand destination on the island? Or that Dublin's airlines make money there with higher than average load factors? With THE most agressive loco in Europe headquartered there. No? None of that?

Sorry - that's all too easy. It's a conspiracy. I've seen the light.:ugh:

eastern wiseguy
12th Jan 2015, 19:35
BID.........usually hauling freight and don't normally appear on the arrivals or departures board . I suspect the handler has put them up in error.

GAZMO
12th Jan 2015, 20:00
Thanks

They have now disappeared from the arrivals board

BFS101
12th Jan 2015, 20:52
Just casting my eye over January's NI Travel News. Not sure if these have been mentioned before,
Thomas Cook is to restart Fuerteventura for winter 15/16.
Has also speculated that Ryanair have been in recent talks with BFS (although guess this may be a regular thing now).
Has pretty much confirmed Turkish Airlines intention to start flights from BFS, also believing these will be x4 week. Following that, a tourism delegation from Northern Cyprus have been talking to the trade here, also highlighting the ease of connection via Istanbul, (another hint of the start of Turkish).
Looking likely that EZY will announce Copenhagen, according to their sources.
Also believe that a German route is imminent, though did not speculate as to which Belfast airport.
Interesting times ahead.

AIRPORT66
12th Jan 2015, 20:53
BID is code for Binair its cargo flight.

BFS BHD
12th Jan 2015, 21:05
Nice to see rumors from BFS again!

Nice to see Ryanair talking to BFS again hopefully will come to something with the new owners!

Thought THY would only be 2-3 weekly will be good to see them in 4 weekly!!

I'm guessing CPH will be announced for the winter to late for this summer i take it?

I think the German route will be from BHD.

FUE hasn't really been announced by TCX but been on sale a few months i think.

stab3.5up
12th Jan 2015, 21:07
Have heard MUC mentioned in conversation with people who know "people" who say they are well placed " in the know" kind of people but alas which airport is not mentioned.

BFS Dude
12th Jan 2015, 21:23
Good to see the airport trying to get new route/airlines.

GAZMO
12th Jan 2015, 21:26
On Germanwings web page they state BFS ,if they were in negotiations with BHD a surely it would state BHD

AIRPORT66
12th Jan 2015, 21:50
I hear EZY have also been thinking about weekly Athens flight in the summer months.

GAZMO
12th Jan 2015, 21:52
Twice weekly would be nice
Another city destination ?

EI-BUD
12th Jan 2015, 22:20
Athens? Seriously ... Crazy! Rome has been done and axed done and axed and ( while Jet2 are having a go and lets hope ) so I just can't see Athens seeing the light of day. It's a long sector.

Equally, plenty more easier wins there for easyJet including Turkish sun spots ( yes bucket and spade but they make money and are sustainable ), a few Italian destinations and west France could do more on a seasonal basis; Nantes for e.g and Venice - amazes me no flights to Venice. Peak season prices ex a Dublin are enormous and so many people ex NI use the services year in year out!!!

EI-BUD
12th Jan 2015, 22:23
Is bmiregional one to watch. With a small aircraft they could give us a few destinations that don't operate or are deemed too thin for Airbus size ac.

Brussels on Embraer charging sustainable fares, and a couple if other destinations that can interline with Lufthansa in Germany for e.g.

May be a scrap between airports for same but I think it has legs ...

Husky One
12th Jan 2015, 23:19
Easyjet did do Venice on the 737 a few years ago. The loads weren't bad but it lagged behind the Costas on yield. There is no capacity to much else this summer as there are only 5 airframes and the schedule is pretty much in place.

BFS Dude
12th Jan 2015, 23:24
Is there any gaps in easyJets schedule for Summer 2015??

El Bunto
13th Jan 2015, 09:28
Westjet placing a maintenance contract in Shannon
With whom?
Can you post a link?
It's with Eirtech, runs for a couple of years. I don't have a link handy but I'll have a look.

Una Due Tfc
13th Jan 2015, 09:35
I thought Eirtech only did painting? They have a hangar in DUB aswell

El Bunto
13th Jan 2015, 09:38
Eirtech do a bunch of engineering too, avionics and structural.

Dublin hangar makes sense re: WestJet. And now the route has proven to have legs, so even when the contract ends the passenger flights will probably keep running.

/me looks longingly at the Scandy 737s that pass empty over Belfast to and from Shannon...

j636
13th Jan 2015, 10:36
Not quiet Venice but Jet2 will fly weekly to Verona between May-September.

owenc
13th Jan 2015, 18:34
Good a new route.

GAZMO
15th Jan 2015, 09:55
EI diversion in from Kerry.......long way to divert

BFS BHD
15th Jan 2015, 10:07
The aircraft was doing KIR-DUB, was unable to land at DUB and diverted to BFS.

BHD has had fire Stobart/EIR in and a flybe from DUB on its way up.

EGAC is Better
15th Jan 2015, 11:12
Norwegian in the hold at Dublin after a missed approach, just stated intention of one more approach then to Belfast. If this keeps up, it may get even busier at BFS and BHD!

owenc
15th Jan 2015, 11:32
3 hours from Oslo!!

BFS BHD
15th Jan 2015, 11:47
Norwegian B737-800 now on finals. Not sure why he came up to BFS! Its as bad as DUB!

Would love Norwegian in more. :ok:

EGAC is Better
15th Jan 2015, 12:31
BFS BHD,

I'd imagine its likely to do with runway headings. The extra 30 odd degrees toward the wind probably put him within crosswind limits at BFS when he was marginal at DUB.

BFS BHD
15th Jan 2015, 12:35
Ahh thanks

EGAC is Better
15th Jan 2015, 12:55
BFS BHD Ahh thanks

:ok: Your welcome!

BFS BHD
15th Jan 2015, 15:40
Passengers This Month: 274778 -3.5
Passengers Rolling Year: 4031700 +0.2

Domestic:
Airport..........2014......2013.....%

Gatwick.........33,609....31,917...+5
Stansted........25,094....25,917...-3
Luton............18945......18158...+3
Birmingham...14,493....15,481...-6
Bristol...........19,996....18,821...+6
Edinburgh......20,543....20,374...+1
Glasgow........20,676....20,734...0
Liverpool.......34,915....34,103...+2
Manchester...18,937....17,897...+6
Newcastle.....16,565....16460....+1

International:
Airport..........2014......2013.....%
Salzburg........426.......396......+8
Rovaniemi.....1256......1230.....+2
Paris.............6021......6158.....-4
Toulouse........252.......0........0
Malta............1228......1742.....-30
Amsterdam....6664......7637.....-13
Faro..............2686......2663.....+1
Alicante.........2569......4802.....-47
Barcelona.......783.......2336.....-66
Malaga...........3887......4317.....-10
Lanzarote.......3347......4474.....-25
Las Palmas.....642.......0........0
Tenerife.........7273......7546.....-4
Keflavik..........660.......0........0
Reykjavik........768.......0........0
Geneva...........3166......3351.....-6
Plovdiv...........126.......152......-17
Krakow...........2825......3947.....-28
New York........5146......5927.....-13

BFS BHD
16th Jan 2015, 13:53
I see easyJet has a flight to Verona tomorrow, who are they doing it for?

AIRPORT66
16th Jan 2015, 15:00
Its a school skiing charter flight.

BFS BHD
16th Jan 2015, 15:19
Thanks AIRPORT66, is it just the one off flight?

EI-BUD
16th Jan 2015, 19:42
Interesting to see that the CAA prov stats show that;

Keflavik .... 660
Reykjavik... 768
Total ...1428

All numbers were classified as scheduled, so this is all related to the easyJet route which operates to Keflavik and not Reykjavik, highly unlikely that any of the flights did in fact operate to Reykjavik (mainly domestic airport, but can handle this size of ac). Clearly the classification is a mistake.

Nonetheless, purely referring to passenger numbers, a strong performance for easyJet's first month. 12 flights (6 return) with an average of 119 per flight, or 76% loads.

El Bunto
17th Jan 2015, 06:27
All numbers were classified as scheduled, so this is all related to the easyJet route which operates to Keflavik and not ReykjavikThe ones marked with an asterisk are those which were listed on the departure board as REYKJAVIK, for whatever reason:

EZY6747 / 48

2014-12-12
2014-12-15
2014-12-19
2014-12-22*
2014-12-26*
2014-12-29*

Easyjet can't seem to make up their mind, for January they've used both airport names as well:

2015-01-02*
2015-01-05*
2015-01-09
2015-01-12
2015-01-16

BFS BHD
17th Jan 2015, 21:57
Aer Lingus A320 EI-DEN just landed at BFS with the Ulster Rugby Team who where in France.

Guess they wont be back anytime soon now BFS is taking them to court for £20million for leaving half way though their contract. :(

Husky One
18th Jan 2015, 00:49
They won't be needed to take Ulster anywhere far next season given their current form. Next year's fixtures can be accommodated by Translink :uhoh:

carlrsymington
18th Jan 2015, 04:23
Made me laugh:ok:

GAZMO
21st Jan 2015, 17:42
Have Easyjet extended their summer service to Jersey. Running to 24th October, or has this always been the case

GAZMO
21st Jan 2015, 19:14
Notice Edinburgh BE690 19:30 Diverted to Aldergrove
is there another tech issue with Flybe aircraft?

BFS BHD
21st Jan 2015, 19:18
Nope, Diverted due to fog at Belfast City. Another Flybe on approach now to Belfast International BEE7MZ/BE414 E-175 G-FBJH.

mart901
21st Jan 2015, 19:46
The fog has been horrendous since this afternoon.

GAZMO
21st Jan 2015, 19:53
Maybe a few more?
Seems to be a few cancellations at BHD

stab3.5up
21st Jan 2015, 21:02
I think weather at both to be v bad til midday tomorrow

GAZMO
21st Jan 2015, 21:15
Looks like fog is lifting as three late arrivals coming in from SOU, EMA and GLA

BFS Dude
22nd Jan 2015, 15:26
BFS has disappeared off Germanwings drop down list on their website. Looks like they aren't coming to any of Belfast Airports now.

BHD2BFS
22nd Jan 2015, 16:45
Maybe they are going to correct it to BHD

AIRPORT66
23rd Jan 2015, 13:29
I see Thomascook has added another couple of dates to there Orlando flights this year,the other one's must be selling well.

GAZMO
23rd Jan 2015, 14:23
😀extra flights to MCO Were posted on this thread on 3rd Dec. Probably trying to keep PR on the go😄

owenc
23rd Jan 2015, 19:50
Well that is good but I would prefer to see Virgin upgrading their service to include August.

There is similar demand levels in August as July. The 787 would be a better aircraft than a Heathrow based 747 with 400 seats.

BFS BHD
23rd Jan 2015, 20:04
As far as i know the Virgin Atlantic flights this summer are 'Trial Flights' so won't be any more flights added this year. Could be more in 2016.

GAZMO
23rd Jan 2015, 21:40
BFSBHD
Do you think there may be other destinations?

BFS BHD
23rd Jan 2015, 21:43
Possibly, to early to say yet. :)

AIRPORT66
24th Jan 2015, 12:03
I would say Virgin will tread carefully with this one,If they do expand it they will do it when they are ready,The idea mentioned above is a good one them putting the B787 doing it would make it more sustainable over whole summer.

adfly
24th Jan 2015, 12:35
The 787's have 35 Upper Class seats though, which would be overkill for a market like BFS, I expect they would be able fill a weekly 747 over the peak summer period from mid July to the start of September if they commit to a longer season next year.

owenc
24th Jan 2015, 14:41
Weekly isn't enough. We would be able to sustain a daily service all summer if it was a 200 seater aircraft.

They could try the A330 maybe. I just think a 747 is way too much.

adfly
24th Jan 2015, 15:00
Daily seems a little ambitious to say the least, even on a 200 seat aircraft, if such a statement were true I would think BFS would be better served already! Only LGW/MAN/possibly GLA can manage that in the summer. Like the 787's the A330's have ~35 upper class seats so that would not work too well. Orlando isn't the sort of route that needs a particularly high frequency, since most packages tend to be 7/14/21 days and the market is dominated by leisure travellers. As a result a 747 with lots of economy/premium economy seats is a good match for the route.

SecondDog
24th Jan 2015, 15:20
Agree with Adfly, daily isn't an option for BFS, nor would it sit well with UA I'm sure. Weekly from end June-start of September would be a great start, then see if you are likely to draw any business during term before expanding into the spring/autumn.

owenc
24th Jan 2015, 20:18
Well I don't know I just think if a 757 could do it, it would work. Don't want United to go.

BFS Dude
24th Jan 2015, 23:22
I'm hearing that BFS could be about to announce a new airline in the coming weeks!!!

eastern wiseguy
24th Jan 2015, 23:44
I am not sure a 757 would have legs to do BFS-MCO without a stop in Bangor ( no NOT north Down) or somewhere similar. That would add to the cost base and impact upon the profitability.

At least the flights to the east coast are back. ....let's hope they grow.

flying officer kite
25th Jan 2015, 06:01
The 757 can make it direct to Orlando (and has done so in the past, Air Scandic/Air Finland, for example), but it's right on the top end of the aircraft's range capability. Realistically if a 757 service operated to Orlando, who would operate it? Monarch's 757s are gone, and the Thomas Cook and Thomson fleets are slowly reducing their 757 fleet, and replacing with 737s, A321s etc. None of the US carriers are likely to do this, as we would otherwise see them offering Orlando to other European cities.

As mentioned above, once a week would suffice for Orlando, and more suitably on a 767 or A330. Daily flights would be overkill, as would Toronto on a daily widebody.

NWSRG
25th Jan 2015, 13:54
Agree with the above...MCO is best as a weekly (and during the peak months, we could fill a 747). Add in a twice weekly YYZ, and a twice / three times weekly JFK / EWR and it could make sense for someone to base a single widebody at BFS.

The only airline that would seem a natural is VS. They operate from the regions already (MAN / GLA) and have the infrastructure in place at the destinations (have they started YYZ yet from LHR?). They also have the mix of aircraft...A333/A343/A346/789/744...

Hopefully the flights this summer are a toe in the water. I can't think of anyone else who could do this. The only other one is EI, but I think they stated they weren't going long haul from NI. Unless IAG ownership could change their minds...

owenc
26th Jan 2015, 00:32
I am pretty certain it can make the distance in the summer but it would not be comfortable.

We do not need a widebody to Toronto its only 3,000 miles. I don't want a service if it is going to result in reductions in the United service.

flying officer kite
26th Jan 2015, 07:59
The thing to remember is that most 757s that fly across the pond are in a mixed class config. All the local airlines that fly the 757 (excluding EI) are leisure airlines in a high seating config. These aircraft tend to have less capability for range. Also remember Canada has no 757s in passenger service (excluding TCX chartered to Westjet), so this leaves the likes of Air Canada Rouge or Air Transat to provide services to Toronto (Westjet cannot fly direct)

In the past charter airlines were very keen to use the 767 in Belfast as they were multi sector flights that tended to start in the Mainland. Nowadays if you want to fly direct airlines have to operate positioning flights, or W-patterns, then transport crew across..all this is logistically more complicated and airlines will be less keen to do this on small or low yielding markets, such as Northern Ireland.

On a latter note about 737s operating transatlantic, for the likes of Boston or New York yes it is theoretically possible, but the weight restrictions would be substantial, and as a result probably non-profitable. Owenc if you don't believe me I recommend you fly Oslo-Dubai with Norwegian on the 737 some time, you'll have almost 7 hours to count how many empty seats are onboard. That's without worrying about ETOPS too.

SecondDog
26th Jan 2015, 14:33
Lets face it, the key to getting any new major route like the ones discussed is most certainly how much you are willing to pay the Airline to come.

Obviously that is done in the form of grants/advertising packages or however it has to be worded to be legal so.

Wouldn't it be handy if you had in your employ, someone who is also the chairperson of a southern based tourism organisation that could award such grants/contributions?:mad:

BFS Dude
26th Jan 2015, 15:06
Does Belfast International Airport normally go to this or is this their first year at the event? Hope they get new airlines to talk with!

EGAC is Better
26th Jan 2015, 18:14
BBC News - Rail spur could link Belfast to Dublin Airport (http://bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30980544)

So according to this article 500,000 people from Northern Ireland use Dublin every year. A breakdown of these numbers by destination may help point us all in the direct of new routes that are feasible.

stab3.5up
26th Jan 2015, 19:14
Never mind the train the plunging euro will be a massive magnet to use dublin short term random dates in may dub hkg rtn work out at 459 sterling return from bhd 618 sterling. Never mind all the tax talk even a week in spain is stonking good value now ex dub

El Bunto
28th Jan 2015, 08:40
Winter Wednesday at Belfast International.

Scheduled movements:

Freight: 14, six or seven carriers
Passenger: 46, one carrier

BFS Dude
31st Jan 2015, 02:06
Any new rumors floating around?

Any sign of THY being announced? And EZY to CPH? Also the RYR rumor?

Im guessing the EI long haul flights that where rumored arent happening?

davieboy28
31st Jan 2015, 12:59
Aer Lingus have stated that they have no intentions of flying long haul from Belfast.

Aer Lingus flying high with lie-flat seats from Ulster firm - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/aer-lingus-flying-high-with-lieflat-seats-from-ulster-firm-30615957.html)
But he also revealed transatlantic routes from Belfast were out of the question because Dublin was only two hours away.

As for the other roumers who knows :confused:

AerRyan
31st Jan 2015, 15:53
EI Long-Haul from Belfast? Not for a while at least! Maybe IAG will do it, but not under the current leadership.

owenc
31st Jan 2015, 23:30
That statement annoys me because not everyone is 2 hours from Dublin.

El Bunto
1st Feb 2015, 06:16
That statement annoys me because not everyone is 2 hours from Dublin.

It also didn't prevent them from starting trans-atlantic services from Shannon, which is likewise 'two hours' from Dublin.

EI-BUD
1st Feb 2015, 07:52
EI Long-Haul from Belfast? Not for a while at least! Maybe IAG will do it, but not under the current leadership.

Seriously? Maybe IAG will do it ? IAG companies only operate long haul from its hubs , fed by airports dotted all around the place, particularly from domestic high frequencies like Belfast etc.

They did fly MAN JFK but axed it once they closed the short haul operation out of the regions, while it may be a sensible rumour to suggest that BA could return to MAN transatlantic routes in the face of a potentially growing Virgin Atlantic, the same can not be said of Belfast. The catchement size, connectivity as examples would render such a route unattractive.

Equally and importantly all IAG ops potential subsidiary Aer Lingus all operate from BHD which cannot facilitate a nonstop service too thee U.S. equally BFS an unlikely option as a court case hangs in the balance ...

owenc
1st Feb 2015, 22:55
I think they prefer to stick to ROI.

BFS BHD
2nd Feb 2015, 17:50
Belfast International Airport is doing a refurbishment programme costing around £2 million. They are doing:

- Replacing old Toilets with 4-Star Quality Toilets.
- Removed Glass Screens in Domestic Hall, a single anti back-track gate similar to the new one in operation in International Baggage Reclaim will be installed in April.
- Reopening of the viewing gallery which will have Flight Radar Screens and Arrivals and Departure Screens.

Other Refurbishments are to take place during the next year.

stab3.5up
2nd Feb 2015, 18:01
Flight radar might be a bit if a double edged sword tbh. If a flight diverts or does something the great general public might know before the airline or handling agent has made announcements etc etc but still be glad to see it reopened

West Brit
4th Feb 2015, 11:48
With all this IAG stuff happening at Dublin, I was wondering if VS would ever consider basing a couple of aircraft at BFS and get EZY to feed their operation from GB. The likes of Boston/Toronto/Orlando could be a starter. So one could fly as an option to Boston from NCL/BRS/GLA/EDI/LPL/BHX via BFS.

SecondDog
4th Feb 2015, 13:54
Flight radar might be a bit if a double edged sword tbh. If a flight diverts or does something the great general public might know before the airline or handling agent has made announcements etc etc but still be glad to see it reopened

They also have ATC frequency on play in there but I believe it will be turned off in an emergency situation.

True Blue
4th Feb 2015, 14:03
is the gallery open yet? If not, when?

SecondDog
4th Feb 2015, 14:12
Not yet, glass is being replaced before reopening.

ILS25
4th Feb 2015, 15:02
BFS BHD there are no anti backtrack gates in international arrivals and no plans for any.

There is a double set in full operation from airside into domestic baggage reclaim hall though.

BFS BHD
4th Feb 2015, 15:36
Ahh okay I got that info from BFS website:

As part of the work, the glass screen has been removed with ease of passenger access the priority. A single anti back-track gate similar to the new one in operation in International Baggage Reclaim will be installed in April.

Here: 4-Star quality when you ?spend a penny? - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/blog/1/428/4-star-quality-when-you-%E2%80%98spend-a-penny%E2%80%99.html)

ILS25
4th Feb 2015, 17:05
Well that's typical of them. They can't even get the info correct on their own website. :ugh: Apologies BFS BHD

BFS Dude
13th Feb 2015, 22:44
Any rumors on new airlines or routes for W15/16 or S16?

Any update on Turkish Airways starting up?

GAZMO
14th Feb 2015, 00:05
Keep plugging away
Hopefully some rumour will start

BFS BHD
17th Feb 2015, 15:30
Belfast International Airport is doubling the amount from £20m to £40m in court against Aer Lingus for breaking contract and moving to Belfast City Airport!!

Aer Lingus hit by £40m damages claim by Belfast International airport | Business | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/feb/17/aer-lingus-hit-by-40m-damages-claim-by-belfast-international-airport)

owenc
17th Feb 2015, 17:32
Talk about desperate. This country is so pathetic, no one is interested in investing here for the future.

The Americans don't come here because of their views on the Irish issue and never will. Now we have to contend for IAG moving in which will make it even worse for us.

I don't even care if they move in and get more routes down there, it would just be nice to have a few routes to America. Every regional city in the British Isles does including Shannon.

SecondDog
17th Feb 2015, 19:44
Why is it desperate to sue someone who broke a contract with you?

We do have an American route to a major US hub, why would we dilute a small market by moving some pax onto a Boston (for example) service when they would have connected anyway in EWR.

Besides which an additional transatlantic route generates little revenue for the airport. We need high volume traffic to European routes plus an Eastbound Hub legacy carrier for far flung folk.

None of which will happen while the Executive have their buddy Ambrose's back down below and no notion of how to help Northern Ireland as a whole by removing APD to take some business back from DUB.

Still why don't we just complain rather than come up with solutions.

EI-BUD
17th Feb 2015, 20:05
The switch in airports followed the closure of the BMIbaby service at the George Best City airport to London, which carried about 400,000 passengers a year on the route.

You have to love the commentary in the newspaper ! And our almost forgotten bmibaby scarcely every flew to London from anywhere!!!

owenc
17th Feb 2015, 20:43
I think we can sustain a possible new route because:

1. Shannon which is smaller has 4 routes.
2. I keep hearing this figure of 500,000 people from Northern Ireland using transatlantic routes in Dublin so I think we could get at least one.
3. I know there are people who go to Orlando and the like every year and they are not far and few between.

Its great to have United and I do fly on them but at the same time it would be nice to see a permanent route to somewhere else with another legacy carrier. I really wonder sometimes why the route has remained stagnant after all this time and not really growed that much when Dublin now has 4 daily United frequency's.

Half time its cheaper from here so that old chestnut doesn't work.

SecondDog
18th Feb 2015, 01:44
Shannon has what it has because of politics.

Orlando can expand in the summer season sure but for most of the year the 1 stop in EWR is enough.

The 500k a year is traffic from NI using DUB to anywhere not just across the pond. They have massive support from the state in various guises. Not least of which are nil apd and border preclearance. While the executive here want their buddies' dinky airport to survive we have no chance of doing much about that.

The closest you will get to another route is a Toronto. I dont see any additional US route as likely.

As for it being cheaper here, I dont check often but I imagine the strong pound is hurting us at the moment

Sober Lark
18th Feb 2015, 15:02
Check out Belfast International Airport's Master Plan - you'll get it on their web site under 'about us'. Very positive forecasts and it helps one to understand how the airport can grow within its own catchment area.

tigger2k8
18th Feb 2015, 16:17
If you breach a contract, especially a 10 year one after 5 years and if its in the small print about a potential penalty then be prepared :}.

Flew back from AMS recently, nice to see all the small changes happening throughout the terminal, bringing back the viewing gallery and it being landside will be great, finally more to do when picking people up... will be interesting few years at BFS I think

OneBellEnd
18th Feb 2015, 18:54
Have to agree tigger, on what I've heard about this Bfs Aer Lingus issue.

Apparently AL had been discussing a move with BHD management through different channels for a lengthy period of time totally disregarding any commitment to BFS!

It may be that they have been able to behave however they wished in DUB over the years with the Gov there having their back, but it will be really interesting to see how their mgt's actions are regarded in this instance, when undertaken 'away from home'? :O

El Bunto
19th Feb 2015, 07:31
Check out Belfast International Airport's Master Plan - you'll get it on their web site under 'about us'.

Err, presumably a different one to this one from August 2007?

Airport Master Plan - Belfast International Airport (http://www.belfastairport.com/en/content/8/104/airport-master-plan.html)

Complete with photo of a Zoom 767 landing...

They'd need a 60% increase in passengers in the next 10 months to hit their 2015 forecast of 6.9 million, so I really wouldn't put too much faith in that document.

The Belfast International website shows everything that is wrong with how the airport is manged; out-of-date, vague and more concerned with nickel-and-diming people for parking than actually developing an airport.

True Blue
19th Feb 2015, 10:44
With our 2 airport policy, if BHD keep chipping away at BFS traffic to the point where BFS state that it is no longer viable for them, what happens then? I am thinking about the routes that could not be served from BHD due to the runway. I know they are both private enterprises, but unless they make a good profit, at some point time will be called.

On another point, arrived on Saturday night at Bfs about 10.30 p m, it was raining heavily. That part of the roof that extends from the arrivals door out towards the car park, was leaking heavily. In fact, it might as well not have been there at all. It has been like that for years and is a disgrace. Does management at Bfs not see what I see with regard to that part of the roof? If it is not going to be repaired and soon, they would be better taking it away as I have already said, it is a disgrace.

TB

owenc
19th Feb 2015, 11:42
Yeah I don't really see how we can sustain 2 airports in such a small population. The number of new routes to important destinations being launched by Belfast city airport is worrying.

Would prefer a Heathrow route from Belfast international airport.

AIRPORT66
19th Feb 2015, 12:06
What new routes has Bhd introduced.The routes they have brought in this year already exist from Belfast,what new route have they ever brought in to the Belfast /Northern Ireland market.

mart901
19th Feb 2015, 13:19
And of course closing an airport will suddenly result in scores of new routes? Routes are based on demand, perceived profitability and completive landing charges. Closing an airport won't help that. If anything it will probably make it more difficult to attract airlines. Both airports are growing, BHD has brought AMS and the connections available through KLM, so although not a new destination its potential is huge, also its one less reason to fly from DUB, which our economy needs.

West Brit
19th Feb 2015, 13:49
One airport serving Belfast would mean that the management could aggressively attract airlines without the fear of upsetting existing carriers. One Belfast airport would be about one third the size of Dublin. All infrastructure could be directed to the one airport and it could slowly chip away at the loss of traffic to Dublin.
Maybe EI are playing games up here, keeping Dublin the major player while the 2 Belfast airports fight it out.

mart901
19th Feb 2015, 13:58
I really don't see how attracting new carriers suddenly wouldn't upset existing ones. For instance - if BFS brought FR in and they started competing on say STN against EZY then EZY would most likely be upset. Totally different story when they arrived at BHD, nothing they can do but compete - the very thing that drives trade. Also the whole argument about shutting one airport is flawed - how are you going to achieve that when both are in profitable growth? Force one of them to close by government intervention? Really? Catch yourselves on - its not likely to happen.

True Blue
19th Feb 2015, 14:27
Growing? Profitable?

Have a good look at the Caa stats on growth.

mart901
19th Feb 2015, 14:49
Both grew last year overall, last figures I saw they were in profit, particularly BHD, unless you know otherwise trueblue?

West Brit
19th Feb 2015, 14:52
Who said anything about shutting airports? If Belfast had one airport from day dot, I think there would be more airlines, more routes and thus it would be better for the consumer. If FR came in on STN at BHD I either have to choose EZY from BFS of FR from BHD, I can't conveniently use both, one out a different back - real competition (works when travel originates at GB end of course).
So all I am saying is the winner out of the situation currently isn't BHD or BFS but DUB.

Husky One
19th Feb 2015, 14:57
One big airport is pure, naive fantasy. There is a substantial freight operation at BFS that cannot be catered for at BHD and a requirement for a 24/7 operation that also cannot be addressed there.
BHD is niche and successful. It therefore suffers from delusions of grandeur.
BFS is big, 24/7 but older and treading water due to lack of investment both on site and infrastructure needed to support it (road, rail etc). It is also strangled by misconception in that it is somehow distantly removed from our population despite being quicker to access from central Belfast than Heathrow is from London by tube etc.
It's about time our esteemed leaders on the hill pulled their fingers out and came up with a sensible transport strategy encompassing both. Left unchecked, both airports will resort to short-termism. A classic example being the BHD flirtation with Ryanair which was fundamentally flawed from the outset both operationally and strategically but served only to poke BFS in the eye temporarily. The KLM announcement is much smarter in terms of providing connection capability.
There is plenty of scope for both if they both stick to what they're good at.

mart901
19th Feb 2015, 15:05
Exactly huskyone. I know its a simplistic viewpoint but I look at it like this;

BFS is a low cost carrier airport, EZY, charter etc.

BHD is business and full service driven.

Always going to be crossovers. I believe the biggest gift our politicians could give all 3 NI airports would be a total scrapping of APD. Additionally both Belfast airports would benefit massively from direct trains, and their own stations as opposed to having to mess about getting connecting buses.

bongoo
19th Feb 2015, 17:35
Totally agree Husky and Mart.

This 1 airport drivel is starting to get boring now.

EI-BUD
19th Feb 2015, 18:25
if BHD keep chipping away at BFS traffic to the point where BFS state that it is no longer viable for them, what happens then? I am thinking about the routes that could not be served from BHD due to the runway. I know they are both private enterprises, but unless they make a good profit, at some point time will be called.

BFS is robust financially, it also had growth last year. It has good new routes planned this year.

BHD is not chipping at BFS away of late. BFS saw growth last year, as did BHD but it was negligible for each, total growth only amounting to over 1000 passengers. But still growth is growth. The split in annual passengers between the airports is 60:40.

BHD discount heavily, and EI are despite any good deal they may be getting are effectively tied in to BHD if they want to keep a Belfast base going. Thanks to a court case that is coming any bargaining power that they may have had with BHD in my view will be gone. So sustainable fees for BHD can be charged.

The City will launch Vueling to BCN and KL to AMS. AMS will not impact easyJet to any great extent. And BCN is x3 weekly. Routes recently launched like LCY are driving greater benefits than either of those will bring, equally LPL will steady up to be a nice little sum of passengers. EI to LGW had a disappointing month in Jan, LHR figures overall, were not great, yet LCY maintained its volume of pax.....

mart901
19th Feb 2015, 20:33
Did EI have a bad month on LGW? BE were still on the route at this point 12 months ago and the figures EI produced are well over 50% of what both airlines did last year, at heavily discounted fares.

EI-BUD
19th Feb 2015, 21:17
Mart01,

Ei had a steady 20-24k pax per month on LGW since BE axed the route. Obviously we couldn't see a January statistic for EI alone hitherto, nonetheless BE grew their new LCY route since it launched and Jan was no exception. Ei did 15k pax on LGW , BE did 7700 approx on LCY.

For a 320 the numbers are soft. I'd been on a few last flights back from LGW and for jan they were packed. I imagine the variances in the different rotations were significant.

On the plus side the low winter spell is now behind us and strong numbers shall return ...

mart901
19th Feb 2015, 23:08
EI-BUD

Indeed LCY has done brilliantly

sealink
21st Feb 2015, 08:14
Did i read somewhere that the viewing gallery at BFS is to reopen?

El Bunto
21st Feb 2015, 09:21
Did i read somewhere that the viewing gallery at BFS is to reopen?
Yes, up-thread a bit. Should be late Feb / early March.

Not sure what we're going to 'view' from it, though, except a sea of orange.

Unless the New Management take a new tack of letting people know when oddities like the An-124 or one-off charters are coming-in, instead of posting a Facebook photo two days after the event...

SecondDog
21st Feb 2015, 18:09
I think the gallery will be popular. Aircraft enthusiasts will come anyway.

GAZMO
21st Feb 2015, 19:54
KEF appears to be quite good LF in January 82%. Hope it continues to do well?
Anybody know anymore about the Copenhagen rumour with EZY

BFS BHD
22nd Feb 2015, 21:57
Vilnius:

Monday and Friday
BFS-VNO - 16:20-21:30
VNO-BFS - 14:35-15:50

On sale to 21st March 2016

No sign of Katowice yet.

GAZMO
23rd Feb 2015, 06:25
WIZZAIR must be pleased with the number of bookings so far. Anyone know how they are going?
Flight times much better

mart901
23rd Feb 2015, 09:38
Good - would love to see BUD on their list. Maybe BFS is good for wizz, an FR free zone.

GAZMO
23rd Feb 2015, 11:20
Agree Mart would love to see BUD on the departure board

Back to the Aer Lingus court case. BBC have posted an article stating Aer Lingus did not have a 10 year agreement. Full story BBC News - Aer Lingus to 'vigorously' defend claim for damages from Belfast International Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31586963)

I can remember court case some years ago involving BMI and Durham Tees airport. Can anyone remember the outcome?

Straightahead
23rd Feb 2015, 11:22
Wizz Air to KTW (Katowice) has been on sale for quite a while now, operates on a Tue and Sat departs KTW 1930 arrives BFS 2125 departs BFS 2155 arrives KTW 0140.

mart901
23rd Feb 2015, 11:32
I thought that was bmibaby, I think the court favoured the airport, the deal required them to base 2 a/c for 10 years

AIRPORT66
23rd Feb 2015, 11:40
The last time BUD was done from Belfast it was with AerLingus,the loads were bad sometimes not getting above 70/80 pax it was withdrawn,so can't see it making a return.

Straightahead
23rd Feb 2015, 11:56
I can confirm that the viewing galley opened this morning after being closed for about 10 years.

mart901
23rd Feb 2015, 11:59
That's true but wizz are well established in the Hungarian market, a well known name in eastern European communities - also they have no routes from DUB. EI pulled virtually everything city break wise from BFS leaving just sunshine and LHR, it doesn't mean nobody else can make it work. I'm sure Vilnius for instance which has been extended into winter will be heavily made up of Lithuanian emigrants and a chunk of city break tourists from NI, enough to make it pay.

GAZMO
23rd Feb 2015, 12:21
Airport 66

I think the EI operated flights to BUD came at a time of major economic downturn. Things are now steadily improving. I believe a Mon and Fri flight would make economical sense

mart901
23rd Feb 2015, 12:47
Yup gazmo ! I could visit for the weekend !

AIRPORT66
23rd Feb 2015, 12:56
Good positive comments but my option would would have been Riga,hope your right and couple more get announced this year.

BFS BHD
23rd Feb 2015, 12:58
Straightahead;
Wizz Air to KTW (Katowice) has been on sale for quite a while now, operates on a Tue and Sat departs KTW 1930 arrives BFS 2125 departs BFS 2155 arrives KTW 0140.

I know its on sale but not on sale in Winter 2015/2016 like VNO is. :)

mart901
23rd Feb 2015, 13:43
It was announced later in the first place, also maybe Wizz are launching winter in stages.

Riga looks a great place!

stab3.5up
23rd Feb 2015, 17:18
A new route is always better than no route or losing a route. I just hope its well supported. Are Wizz thd lads that charge for cabin baggage? ?.

GAZMO
23rd Feb 2015, 17:24
Yes they do charge. Will be worthwhile reading the small print

mart901
23rd Feb 2015, 19:45
You can take a "small" cabin bag, if you imagine backpack type thing for free, anything like a wheelie bag is chargeable. From what I know they strictly enforce it, bring a tape measure!

BFS BHD
23rd Feb 2015, 19:51
What's up with the thread title? Its Belfast 'International' Airport and not Belfast Airport 'International'....

mart901
23rd Feb 2015, 20:55
Looking on wizzair website nothing is available from KTW for winter schedule as of yet, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

GAZMO
23rd Feb 2015, 21:42
Always love it when someone messes around with the wiki page.......just notice someone has put BA to LHR on!!!!
Dream on!

BFS BHD
23rd Feb 2015, 21:55
HAHA! Would love to see them come to BFS but won't happen any time soon!

BFS Dude
26th Feb 2015, 00:18
Any rumors going around? Any idea what EZY will operate in W15/16 will CPH be added?

And what about TCX, TOM and EXS for summer 2016 should be announced in a month or two. Is THY any closer to being announced?

david1994
27th Feb 2015, 22:33
Looks as if Thomson are basing a B752 at BFS this year online booking engine seems to suggest it with extra leg room and my tickets I got today says a 757 as below in the pic http://s7.postimg.org/6e32ulfq3/image.jpg

BFS BHD
27th Feb 2015, 22:42
Nice!!! :D

owenc
28th Feb 2015, 11:13
Also 737's?

GAZMO
1st Mar 2015, 17:14
Anyone know about TOM flight coming in from GVAN tonight?
TOM9016 GENEVA 21:30 21:30

BFS BHD
1st Mar 2015, 17:39
Will be operated by B738 G-FDZU. Not sure what its doing.

BFS BHD
1st Mar 2015, 17:47
owenc, Thomson Airways will only have 1x B757-200 based at BFS in 2015 no B737s.

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2015, 13:02
Just as Belfast airports starting to get a few new routes the usual happens

BBC News - Case not strong enough for abolishing £13 air passenger duty (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31705710)

ESCNI
3rd Mar 2015, 14:35
This report is only interested in the bottom line cost to the NI Executive. It's not interested in the state of the NI air industry or the cost to Joe Public's pocket.

Paying an additional £26 return will mean nothing to the fat cat author of this report ... Professor Neil Gibson (http://www.eagni.com/about-us/members/item/19/professor-neil-gibson-director-of-the-northern-ireland-centre-for-economic-policy).

Consequently, it's up to the electorate to let the politicians know where their real interests should lie.

mart901
3rd Mar 2015, 15:37
Especially when you consider many people plan city breaks based on where they can fly into cheaply. Its very short term thinking. Even a halving of APD would have been good.

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2015, 15:47
They should reduce APD in stages.
When Scotland and Wales slash APD by 50%, then English airports (NCL & BRS especially) will complain, then Westminster will have to do the same. probably end up then as NI being the only region charging APD

So just start by removing APD from European markets followed by a phased reduction in the domestic for both BFS and BHD

AIRPORT66
3rd Mar 2015, 16:06
Totally agree with you,but have you noticed that the politicans are very quiet when it comes to the issue of air passenger duty,as was said above some sort of reduction and maybe some sort of start up subsidy for these routes to be given but to both airports not just to one.

Cozy F
3rd Mar 2015, 16:38
Case not strong enough? Case non-existent methinks.

Politicians determined from day 1 that nothing will be allowed to spill off the London block grant gravy train and hey presto, conclusions of report formed accordingly.

As long as the Treasury continues to subsidise their business travel to and from Heathrow, who cares if families have to carry on peering down the back of the sofa looking for their £26 taxes to fly in and out of NI. :ugh:

GAZMO
9th Mar 2015, 08:51
FR diversions
Problems at LDY this morning noticed both FR arrivals diverted to BFS....any reason apart from very windy

cuthere
9th Mar 2015, 10:53
You've answered your own question GAZMO.

ILS25
9th Mar 2015, 14:20
Just had a look at their twitter page knowing that they would have pictures of the diverted AC on there.

Diversions seem to be the only thing BFS has to report these days! :ugh:

BFS BHD
9th Mar 2015, 16:53
Seems like they are uploading Katowice from Belfast for W15/16.

Not bookable yet but times are up.

2 Weekly (Tuesday & Saturday):

Tuesday-
KTW-BFS 19:20 - 21:20
BFS-KTW 21:50 - 01:35

Saturday-
KTW-BFS 19:20 - 21:20
BFS-KTW 21:50 - 01:35

GAZMO
9th Mar 2015, 17:33
Good news. They must be happy with the current bookings for the summer