PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 09:51
Don't be so pessimistic West Brit (though that has been the trend over the last few years). You never know what BFS management have got up their sleeve - they may have landed Delta, Qatar and Air Canada lol. This is their time to shine and they may actually deliver a success story this time.

The article says one route will be the only one from the island - anyone have any ideas? Could it be British Airways in the form of BA Cityflyer summer flights given it is an existing Belfast operator (doesn't specify BFS), and it has a "Union Jack on the tail". BMI Regional's the only other airline with the flag on the tail, but don't operate from Belfast, and Virgin have it near the nose.

West Brit
24th Apr 2017, 10:00
So this airline 'with union jack on tail and already operates into Belfast'. There aren't any that I can think of although BA being the closest!

West Brit
24th Apr 2017, 10:06
Just showed this to my better half who is a Co.Derry girl now living with me in England.

Funny how one is critical of another poster, then posts a political point at the same time!

DC9_10
24th Apr 2017, 10:09
Do VS have a Union Jack on the tail ?. I know bmi regional have a bit of a hybrid one. Anyway, let's wait for Wednesday and hopefully a few surprises. Personally, I'm waiting for Wednesday so I can book me and Mrs DC9s tickets for Bananaramas tour featuring Siobhan. :ok:

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 10:28
Qatar Airways is launching Cardiff flights. Last month Qatar said they'd launch two new UK routes - for goodness sake let BFS-DOH be part of Wednesday's announcement.

West Brit
24th Apr 2017, 11:23
1 of @BelfastAirport's existing airlines to announce new routes on Weds. Will also involve 50 new jobs with additional aircraft based here

Julian Oneill twitter.

GAZMO
24th Apr 2017, 11:31
Qatar would be great. If Cardiff can succeed in attracting one of the big three middle eastern airlines then just maybe !!!!!!!!

Going to be a lot of speculation between now and Wednesday

BFS101
24th Apr 2017, 11:41
One new route appears to be Rome Ciampino, going by FR marketing with Tourism Ireland in Italy. Advert was seen on a Twitter reply

BFS BHD
24th Apr 2017, 12:10
Jet2 going to Four based aircraft for Summer 2018.

3x B737-300
1x B737-800

Monday for example:
EXS361 Palma 06:50 B738
EXS305 Faro 07:10 B733
EXS301 Alicante 07:30 B733
EXS395 Mahon 07:50 B733

owenc
24th Apr 2017, 12:29
:rolleyes: Just showed this to my better half who is a Co.Derry girl now living with me in England.
She said 'Why do you think I couldn't get out of the place fast enough?'

Think on folks - the image you portray to the outside world is toxic.

We are not toxic. I live in England and people in Northern Ireland are a nicer, more respectable people. Not socially avoidant like the English.

Anyway, his point is a valid one. Dublin has taken massive business away from airports across the WHOLE island. It is time that we take that back.

GAZMO
24th Apr 2017, 13:08
Looking at Jet2 website still a few blanks to be filled in

43 flights with a possible 11 more

MondayAM ALC FAO PMI MAH
MondayPM GRO REU ?? ??

TuesdayAM ALC FAO IBZ AGP
TuesdayPM ACE REU TFS ??

Wed AM PMI ZTH (9.45 departure) ??
Wed PM FUE ?? ??

Thurs AM ALC FAO PMI ??
Thurs PM LPA IBZ REU ??

Fri AM ALC FAO PMI MAH
Fri PM GRO IBZ ?? ??

Sat AM ALC FAO PMI AGP
Sat PM ACE REU TFS ??

Sun Am ALC DVB PMI AGP
Sun PM FAO FUE LPA IBZ

True Blue
24th Apr 2017, 13:40
In the article linked above, it says 8 new routes!?

Will the new longer range 737's and 321's coming on board soon open up new possibilities for Bfs, like Middle East?

HH6702
24th Apr 2017, 13:48
Cardiff confirms QR from 2018

owenc
24th Apr 2017, 13:51
Good for them.

BHD2BFS
24th Apr 2017, 13:52
I would be quite surprised if BA would operate from both BHD and BFS it can cause confusion to passengers
But the only airline I can think of with a Union Jack is of course BA
Could BA be moving all ops to BFS? Also the aren't know for operating European routes from outside of London really unless it will be Cityflyer?
Could the open a Bfs base similar to EDI?

I hope Bhd gets their share of routes

canberra97
24th Apr 2017, 14:02
Do VS have a Union Jack on the tail ?. I know bmi regional have a bit of a hybrid one. Anyway, let's wait for Wednesday and hopefully a few surprises. Personally, I'm waiting for Wednesday so I can book me and Mrs DC9s tickets for Bananaramas tour featuring Siobhan. :ok:

FYI

The national flag of the United Kingdom is only referred to as a 'Union Jack' when flown on the mast of a vessel of the Royal Navy, in all other circumstances such as on tails of aircraft as in British Airways or even British Midland it is known as the 'Union Flag'.

True Blue
24th Apr 2017, 15:01
what about Izmir, Bodrum, Antalya? Used to be served from Bfs but dropped. Bodrum used to have about 6 flights a week. I was reading that Turkey is seeing a recovery in bookings, here are 3 routes with no current service. Jet2 has announced new flights to Turkey from a couple of other airports.

Refuellerman
24th Apr 2017, 15:43
Virgin has union flags at the front back and on the winglets, plenty to choose from, ba bmi union flags, but who else? Tcx, tom only beside registrations

dwlpl
24th Apr 2017, 16:45
Don't be so pessimistic West Brit (though that has been the trend over the last few years). You never know what BFS management have got up their sleeve - they may have landed Delta, Qatar and Air Canada lol. This is their time to shine and they may actually deliver a success story this time.

The article says one route will be the only one from the island - anyone have any ideas? Could it be British Airways in the form of BA Cityflyer summer flights given it is an existing Belfast operator (doesn't specify BFS), and it has a "Union Jack on the tail". BMI Regional's the only other airline with the flag on the tail, but don't operate from Belfast, and Virgin have it near the nose.

Although this does not have the Union flag on its tail it's Twitter accounts does have it and they look like they are at the Routes conference too,

https://mobile.twitter.com/FirnasAirways/photo

DC9_10
24th Apr 2017, 16:55
AerRyan BA fly to BHD by default. Brussels airlines left in March.

GAZMO
24th Apr 2017, 17:06
Just received email from Jet2 launching 2018 flights from Belfast, but also stated "watch out for some new destinations on the horizons"

DC9_10
24th Apr 2017, 17:21
Vueling also came and went AerRyan. After 1 season.

MACKER55
24th Apr 2017, 17:27
So this airline 'with union jack on tail and already operates into Belfast'. There aren't any that I can think of although BA being the closest!

Im in Belfast at the moment- lots of speculation....key clue is perhaps airline already operates into Belfast..so would seem to rule out Qatar for example....What seems definite is 6 new destinations....2 " doubling up" destinations ...the one that's causing most discussion is the new route that is brand new to the entire island..again that would seem to be most likely to Europe if we stick with the " existing carrier" limits.....its hard to see BA being the one doing it unless they do big shift to BFS....

Noxegon
24th Apr 2017, 17:42
That doesn't evade the fact DUB is spending millions trying to attract business from BFS/BHD.

That's called free market competition. If you don't like it there are countries in the world you can go to where that sort of thing isn't allowed... :)

MACKER55
24th Apr 2017, 17:44
Here are the number of new routes announced from host cities within 12 months of hosting Routes Europe.

Marseille 2014: 7 new routes - 2 new airlines (Eurowings, Etihad Regional)
Aberdeen 2015: 3 new routes - 1 new airline (Icelandair)
Krakow 2016: 23 new routes (18 Ryanair) - no new airlines

I don't know how many of these routes commenced as a result of hosting Routes Europe.

Regarding new routes from Belfast, I'd say these are our best bets;

Belfast Intl;
Ryanair: 2-3 new routes
Norwegian: Copenhagen or Oslo or Stockholm
Wizz Air: Budapest

Belfast City;
Eurowings: Dusseldorf
Iberia Express: Madrid

Of course I'd be shocked if even half of these actually came into fruition, but given the UK expansion plans of various airlines, these seem to be the most likely.

Even if Belfast doesn't get any new routes, hosting the event will be great publicity for the city.

Looks for sure 6 new routes and perhaps of those most exciting is one that has never operated from any airport in Ireland...all seem to be to Europe on an existing carrier....I think the 'Union Jack on the tail' is a teaser...

Sadly Germany seems to be off the table....Copenhagan....Madrid being talked up....

I think the Qatar speculation probably put to bed with the news its an existing carrier or carriers

mart901
24th Apr 2017, 18:09
That's called free market competition. If you don't like it there are countries in the world you can go to where that sort of thing isn't allowed... :)

I don't have an issue with competition, but I expect our airports to fight back, and also I see it as a big government funded Tesco competing with the corner shop in terms of scale.

VickersVicount
24th Apr 2017, 18:09
BACF weekend 'charter-esque' flying to the usuals a-la STN /MAN model, id wager.
Useful for those who like that sort of thing I suppose. Long term viability? im not so sure.
Lets wait and see though what it actually is!

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 18:22
Can we stop these insults and just get back to what really matters - 6 new destinations will be announced on Wednesday, so let's do what we do best and speculate.

Kudos to BFS101 for some great research - let's hope Ryanair can make their Rome route work (will be the 4th airline to try)

GAZMO
24th Apr 2017, 18:29
Agree
Let's get back to speculation 😀😀😀

EGAC is Better
24th Apr 2017, 18:34
Agree
Let's get back to speculation 😀😀😀

BBC now reporting "The deal - with one of the airport's existing low-cost carriers - was finalised as Belfast hosted a major airline conference"

So EZY, RYR or EXS then. Do Norwegian fall into the category of existing low-cost carrier given they haven't started yet?

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 19:15
Any reason why multiple operators would announce on the one day?

The press conference was called several days before this new deal was finalised yesterday, suggesting a BFS resident is planning to expand (Ryanair/Jet2). My guess is that BFS management asked this airline to hold back on announcing new routes until after Routes Europe in order to maximise publicity for the airport. Plus, it meant that if the deal agreed upon yesterday failed, they'd still have good news to announce following Routes.

Refuellerman
24th Apr 2017, 19:59
So 6 routes but an extra 2 flights, is any of them actually new?

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 20:07
So 6 routes but an extra 2 flights, is any of them actually new?
8 international routes will be announced, 6 of which are not served from Belfast, and one of which is not served from the whole of Ireland.

AerRyan
24th Apr 2017, 20:10
Would that rule out Qatar? They start in Dublin in June

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 20:14
Would that rule out Qatar? They start in Dublin in June
Only one isn't served from Dublin

BFS BHD
24th Apr 2017, 20:21
Are the routes coming from just the one airline (EXS) or is where more than one airline announcing the routes? I'm sure we can say Jet2 will be announcing something on Wednesday...

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 20:23
Are the routes coming from just the one airline (EXS) or is where more than one airline announcing the routes? I'm sure we can say Jet2 will be announcing something on Wednesday...

The press conference was called a few days before the deal was finalised yesterday, so there are at least two airlines.

BFS BHD
24th Apr 2017, 20:26
Thanks for the updates! :)

SecondDog
24th Apr 2017, 20:58
Must be Jet2 for the 6 new routes. Surely increasing the based fleet with a 738?

As for destinations, a 738 would bring Eastern Med more into play. Maybe something to Cyprus or Turkey or another of the Greek islands?

If they are announcing 8 routes and jet 2 doing 6, hopefully Norwegian will be utilising the aircraft during their long layovers in BFS to do something fairly nearish on mainland Europe. Or perhaps the FR to Rome that was muted above will be one of two from them?

Refuellerman
24th Apr 2017, 21:03
What about willy Walsh's new low cost airline, is it a possible?

VickersVicount
24th Apr 2017, 21:11
.... id say no.

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 21:12
No chance. LEVEL will only operate 2 aircraft this year from BCN, with routes benefiting from feeder traffic from about 90 Vueling routes. There's no feeder traffic from BFS. Plus, LEVEL have stated that they'd focus on BCN plus other Vueling bases such as FCO and ORY.

Wycombe
24th Apr 2017, 21:12
What about willy Walsh's new low cost airline, is it a possible?

"Level" is a long-haul initiative (based in BCN, leveraging Iberia, feeding from Vueling), operating 330's (an aircraft too big for all but a few routes from BFS) so seems unlikely.

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 21:24
The only airlines serving Belfast with the Union flag on the livery whatsoever are;

British Airways - tail fin
Virgin Atlantic - below cockpit
Thomas Cook - beside registration
Thomson Airways - beside registration

So unless Keddie meant it was a british airline in general, in which case Jet2, Flybe and Eastern Airways can be added to the mix, it is one of the four airlines above that will operate the island's sole service to this new destination.

Keddie said the Union flag is on the tail, and not specifically the tail fin, so I suppose Thomas Cook and Thomson could be the contenders. The registration (and flag) for both of these airlines is located in the tail area, if you were generalising.

NWSRG
24th Apr 2017, 21:38
Don't BA currently have a spare A318? Capable of going TA?

Just wondering...

mart901
24th Apr 2017, 22:02
The only airlines serving Belfast with the Union flag on the livery whatsoever are;

British Airways - tail fin
Virgin Atlantic - below cockpit
Thomas Cook - beside registration
Thomson Airways - beside registration

So unless Keddie meant it was a british airline in general, in which case Jet2, Flybe and Eastern Airways can be added to the mix, it is one of the four airlines above that will operate the island's sole service to this new destination.

Keddie said the Union flag is on the tail, and not specifically the tail fin, so I suppose Thomas Cook and Thomson could be the contenders. The registration (and flag) for both of these airlines is located in the tail area, if you were generalising.

Do you not think the clue is the route in question is not going to be operated by FR??

EI-BUD
24th Apr 2017, 22:04
Haha NWSRG!!

BA's 318 has 32 seats - business class product, high ticket prices, lack of which meant an end to service for UA ex BFS ... so no!

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 22:09
Do you not think the clue is the route in question is not going to be operated by FR??

The fact it's not going to be operated by Ryanair doesn't give us any clues as to who actually is going to serve the route, and where the destination is.

Don't BA currently have a spare A318? Capable of going TA?

Just wondering...

British Airways mainline are essentially London Airways. There's no chance that they'd fly transatlantic out of Belfast, even if their A318 was reconfigured to include economy class. Plus, the airline with the union flag is operating a route not served from Dublin. I can't think of an East Coast transatlantic service that isn't served from Dublin, but would still have the demand for a BFS service.

EI-BUD
24th Apr 2017, 22:10
I didn't pick up on the bit about the only service from the island until now. Is virgin in peak summer to a caribbean destination or Las Vegas not an obvious one?

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 22:19
I considered Virgin and Las Vegas, but Virgin scrapped their GLA-LAS route a couple of years ago and seem to be focussing on Gatwick and to a lesser extent Manchester. Still, stranger things have happened. Plus, if Keddie meant the union flag on the tail thing literally, that's not the case for Virgin as the flag is below to cockpit.

BHD2BFS
24th Apr 2017, 22:39
It can really only be 2
Bmi regional doing German routes in conjunction with LH
Or
BA cityflyer opening up to fly city routes such as Madrid, Frankfurt, Lisbon as examples....
Like i said though if it is Cityflyer you can put money on it BA would move up also from BHD, say what you will but IAG are hitting finances hard and I can't see them paying for 2 contracts with 2 airports and all the ticket desk costs with 2 airports 30 mins from each other.
I'm just saying if it is BA expect it to happen

A320.b744
24th Apr 2017, 22:43
It can really only be 2
Bmi regional doing German routes in conjunction with LH
Or
BA cityflyer opening up to fly city routes such as Madrid, Frankfurt, Lisbon as examples....
Like i said though if it is Cityflyer you can put money on it BA would move up also from BHD, say what you will but IAG are hitting finances hard and I can't see them paying for 2 contracts with 2 airports and all the ticket desk costs with 2 airports 30 mins from each other.
I'm just saying if it is BA expect it to happen

None of the new routes are to Germany, and the destination isn't served from Dublin meaning it isn't going to be to Madrid, Frankfurt etc.

Florence could be the city if BA Cityflyer is the airline: it's not served from the island of Ireland and BA Cityflyer already fly to the city from Birmingham, Bristol, Stansted and London City. Plus Jet2 recently cancelled their Pisa route (despite an increase in passenger numbers), which is frequently used as an alternative to Florence because Florence has a short runway.

owenc
24th Apr 2017, 22:46
Probably Thomas Cook.

True Blue
25th Apr 2017, 01:08
GK quoted as saying in the article below that he hopes to have a further announcement in a couple of weeks.

http://www.irishnews.com/business/2017/04/25/news/six-new-international-flight-routes-for-belfast-1006001/

GAZMO
25th Apr 2017, 05:23
TCX have announced BFS to Kos for 2018. Any airline fly this route from Dublin?

A320.b744
25th Apr 2017, 05:31
TCX have announced BFS to Kos for 2018. Any airline fly this route from Dublin?

Kos was announced several weeks ago and is served by Thomson from Dublin.

cessnarocket
25th Apr 2017, 06:34
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272544/thomas-cook-uk-schedules-belfast-cancun-in-junejuly-2017/ There is your union flag carrier

A320.b744
25th Apr 2017, 06:40
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272544/thomas-cook-uk-schedules-belfast-cancun-in-junejuly-2017/ There is your union flag carrier

This was announced in April 2016 and operates Jun-Jul 2017. The Routes article also mentions that they forgot to mention it last year, which is why they're writing about it now. The topic probably came up at the Routes event this week.

West Brit
25th Apr 2017, 07:22
Speaking to FlightGlobal at the Routes Europe conference in Belfast today, Keddie says that six of the eight routes are to unserved markets and that “one of them is a route which will be the only one operated from this island” in reference to both Northern Ireland and Ireland.
Keddie does not disclose the identity of the airline, but tells FlightGlobal that it is an existing carrier operating into Belfast and has a “Union Jack on the tail”.

The new routes will be disclosed on 26 April and will be operated from summer 2018, Keddie says.

The journalist may have muddled their facts.
Based on all the rumours floating around.
What about 8 new routes, six by an existing carrier at BFS with one unique route not yet served from Ireland (LS), two new routes to Rome (FR) and LHR (BA). With the LS routes being announced tomorrow, and the others at a later date.

Do LS fly currently to any destinations not yet available from the island of Ireland from their other bases?

It would be a no brainer for BA to move to BFS. Much more flexibility with aircraft and flight timings, why wouldn't they?

Either Graham was jesting or serious about union flag on tail. However that reference can only be BA IMO.

This routes 'party' is show casing NI at a fair cost, if the LS routes are the main gain then a bit of a disappointment as these routes probably would have been announced anyway. Reports are suggesting 5 sun routes and one city destination!
So out of the 6 routes to be announced tomorrow if only one is a city destination then not a rush of inbound traffic for local tourism!

25th Apr 2017, 07:53
Do LS fly currently to any destinations not yet available from the island of Ireland from their other bases?

Bergerac
Paphos
Kefalonia
Thessalonika
Zante
Antalya
Bodrum

As you can see, the Greek/Turkish market isn't terribly well developed from Ireland, presumably because of the extra flying time.

A320.b744
25th Apr 2017, 08:01
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/jet2-ready-to-take-off-with-six-new-routes-from-belfast-35650356.html

A total of eight new routes from Jet2, six of which are new to Belfast and will include Naples. Another airline will add at least one new route.

I looked briefly and the island doesn't have flights to Antalya, Bergerac, Milas-Bodrum, Cephalonia, Paphos and Thessaloniki, most of which are served from more than one Jet2 base.

It would be a no brainer for BA to move to BFS. Much more flexibility with aircraft and flight timings, why wouldn't they?

BA occasionally use the A321 on BHD flights, and the B763 is being retired, so aircraft flexibility is not an issue. Would BFS be able to provide BA with their own lounge and a dedicated jetway? Plus, Willie Walsh has said on numerous occasions that he intended to keep IAG at one Belfast airport - surely Aer Lingus wouldn't move back to BFS given the base lost them millions.

ESCNI
25th Apr 2017, 08:23
Jet2.com (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/jet2-ready-to-take-off-with-six-new-routes-from-belfast-35650356.html) ... includes Napoli

West Brit
25th Apr 2017, 08:27
Well there you go all routes by LS. Union flag was all in jest.

GAZMO
25th Apr 2017, 08:29
From BT this morning

Jet2 ready to take off with six new routes from Belfast - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/jet2-ready-to-take-off-with-six-new-routes-from-belfast-35650356.html)

West Brit
25th Apr 2017, 08:34
I suppose it would be a plus if LS expanded their New York service as part of that announcement!

GAZMO
25th Apr 2017, 08:44
Can't see New York working........not at their current prices.
Trip in December with LS including baggage would cost you well over £500

They are great on the leisure routes, but personally would like to see a few more city destinations

BHD2BFS
25th Apr 2017, 09:19
So 8 new routes tomorrow
6 by jet2
What about the other 2?

A320.b744
25th Apr 2017, 09:21
So 8 new routes tomorrow
6 by jet2
What about the other 2?

Eight new routes in total from Jet2, six of which are unserved from Belfast.

Another airline operating from Belfast is expected to launch at least one new route, having finalised a deal at the weekend - most likely Ryanair to Ciampino

dwlpl
25th Apr 2017, 10:41
So 8 new routes tomorrow
6 by jet2
What about the other 2?

Ryanair to Liverpool and EMA.

ESCNI
25th Apr 2017, 10:53
Rumour, wishful thinking or fact?

dwlpl
25th Apr 2017, 11:04
At the moment rumour, if/when its announced it will then be fact.

HH6702
25th Apr 2017, 12:07
Thought Ryanair were looking at NCL ALSO

GAZMO
25th Apr 2017, 12:23
Ah maybe the third famous or infamous FR aircraft might be coming:sad:

BFS BHD
25th Apr 2017, 13:37
Antalya - 1 Weekly
Madeira - 1 Weekly
Naples - 1 Weekly
Rhodes - 1 Weekly

PPRuNeUser0176
25th Apr 2017, 13:42
AYT no longer served ex DUB so wonder if thats the route the CEO was banging on about.

Quiet concerning a tour operator is rapidly expanding back into turkey when nothing has changed since capacity was axed.

BFS BHD
25th Apr 2017, 13:44
Malta being added too (1 Weekly). Ryanair not going to like that!

True Blue
25th Apr 2017, 13:45
add Malta as well

West Brit
25th Apr 2017, 13:58
I am sure Dublin management are shivering in their boots!

True Blue
25th Apr 2017, 14:01
and Paphos too I see

BFS BHD
25th Apr 2017, 14:10
Heraklion added too

LBIA
25th Apr 2017, 14:18
Jet2 just uploaded for sale 7 new routes for summer 18 from BFS

Antalya = 1x Weekly Thursdays
Heraklion = 1x weekly Monday
Madeira = 1x Weekly Mondays
Malta = 1x weekly Thursdays
Naples = 1x Weekly Fridays
Paphos = 1x Weekly Wednesdays
Rhodes = 1x Weekly Fridays

A320.b744
25th Apr 2017, 15:06
and Almeria is the 8th destination, operating twice weekly.

BHD2BFS
25th Apr 2017, 15:33
Only jet2 bring announced then

A320.b744
25th Apr 2017, 15:37
We still have the deal which was finalised on Sunday - Jet2 wasn't this deal as tomorrow's press conference was called about a week ago. The Belfast Telegraph and other news outlets are reporting that another existing airline will announce at least one new route.

BHD2BFS
25th Apr 2017, 15:43
No chance of Qatar?

GAZMO
25th Apr 2017, 15:49
Let's get over he excitement of Jet2 first of all
Qatar can wait for a few days:D

Congrats to Jet2 and BFS for the new routes

West Brit
25th Apr 2017, 15:49
So basically all the deals were going to happen anyway, whether this conference took place or not!

EGAC is Better
25th Apr 2017, 15:56
Jet2 just uploaded for sale 7 new routes for summer 18 from BFS

Antalya = 1x Weekly Thursdays
Heraklion = 1x weekly Monday
Madeira = 1x Weekly Mondays
Malta = 1x weekly Thursdays
Naples = 1x Weekly Fridays
Paphos = 1x Weekly Wednesdays
Rhodes = 1x Weekly Fridays

Presumably this confirms at least one B738 from summer 2018 for Phapos, Rhodes, Heraklion and Antalya.

It will be rather disappointing overall if the Routes event only generates this and a couple more bucket and spade holiday destinations.

All the talk of BA moving up the road makes no sense IMO. As mentioned above, BA can already operate their largest short haul Airbus into BHD and, frankly they are operating out of a much nicer environment. Smaller airfield, less busy terminal, dedicated lounge, dedicated air bridge etc

I've become a regular user of BFS in the last few months and it has re-enforced my opinion that BHD is a much more pleasent travel experience for me.

On a totally unrelated subject, does anyone know what is going on with the drop off zone? To put it mildly it is chaotic at peak times. Seems totally unfit for purpose.

A320.b744
25th Apr 2017, 15:57
No chance of Qatar?

Ryanair are almost certainly going to announce Ciampino - they've just started an Italy campaign with Tourism Ireland and the poster says "Fly from Rome Ciampino and Milan Bergamo to Belfast", so unless someone has made a mess of the poster, Ryanair will be the fourth airline to give Rome a go.

Qatar could still happen, but is unlikely at this time. When Cardiff was announced, it was one of 12 new routes, none of which were Belfast. However, I would say that if there is no announcement this year, Doha could be announced next year, especially if DUB and CWL perform well.

So basically all the deals were going to happen anyway, whether this conference took place or not!

The conference is aimed to set the ground work for new routes by bringing airlines and airport together. 3 days is simply not enough time to broker a complete deal. Give it a couple of months and you'll see if the conference was a success for new Belfast routes.

EI-BUD
25th Apr 2017, 16:15
All very exciting news, continued success to the airport....

It would make huge sense for Ryanair to have short domestic sector from BFS, could enable improved aircraft utilisation, easyjet have done a good job on that front...!

SealinkBF
25th Apr 2017, 16:21
Might it be another route from Virgin?

PPRuNeUser0176
25th Apr 2017, 17:57
Jet 2 route number 8 is Almeria operating 2 weekly.

HH6702
25th Apr 2017, 18:43
West Brit .... well said spot on !!

GAZMO
25th Apr 2017, 18:53
Just looked at Jet2 for July 18
52 flights per week and maybe still an extra slot on Wed

MondayAM ALC FAO PMI MAH
MondayPM GRO REU FNC HER

TuesdayAM ALC FAO IBZ AGP
TuesdayPM ACE REU TFS LEI

Wed AM PMI PFO ZTH (9.45 departure)
Wed PM FUE ?? ??

Thurs AM ALC FAO PMI MLA
Thurs PM LPA IBZ REU AYT

Fri AM ALC FAO PMI MAH
Fri PM GRO IBZ NAP RHO

Sat AM ALC FAO PMI AGP
Sat PM ACE REU TFS LEI

Sun Am ALC DVB PMI AGP
Sun PM FAO FUE LPA IBZ

BFS BHD
25th Apr 2017, 19:08
Almeria is Tuesday and Saturday.

Edit: Possibly 2-3 slots available on a Wednesday but every other day appears to be complete.

GAZMO
25th Apr 2017, 19:22
Thanks BFSBHD well spotted.
Maybe another ALC on Wed

BFS watcher
25th Apr 2017, 19:24
Am hearing that April pax numbers way ahead of expectations even with Easter. Also that there will be another big announcement in mid-May with another in June.

BFS BHD
25th Apr 2017, 19:49
Going by BFS MD on Twitter there will be only one announcement tomorrow most likely Jet2 just.

SecondDog
25th Apr 2017, 20:10
Am hearing that April pax numbers way ahead of expectations even with Easter. Also that there will be another big announcement in mid-May with another in June.

Seems like a good bit of business was done at routes then despite the hyper critical naysayings of some posters above. Any 'inklings' Watcher?

BHD2BFS
25th Apr 2017, 21:33
I wonder if jet2 will begin to self handle with this increase in flights like they do at most other bases

FRatSTN
26th Apr 2017, 08:54
And the eight new routes are... Almeria, Antalya, Crete (Heraklion), Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Naples, Paphos and Rhodes

Startledgrapefruit
26th Apr 2017, 09:20
And the eight new routes are... Almeria, Antalya, Crete (Heraklion), Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Naples, Paphos and Rhodes

WH Smith are going to need to stock up on buckets and spades.

True Blue
26th Apr 2017, 18:22
I read a comment by GK today, forecasting 5.8m this year. I have been through the airport several times this year and it is noticeably busier.

mart901
26th Apr 2017, 19:05
I read a comment by GK today, forecasting 5.8m this year. I have been through the airport several times this year and it is noticeably busier.

I'd say from experience you are right, it can be like people everywhere at times, especially Starbucks and the bars which are starting to feel not big enough . Summer will be interesting - a good type of problem.

MaverickPrime
26th Apr 2017, 20:04
Really pleased about the Jet2 route BFS to LEI, but will it be profitable? I've been hoping for years that some airline would do Belfast - Almeria, but never thought there would be enough demand for it!

mart901
26th Apr 2017, 20:18
Didn't EZY do Almeria a few years ago, or did I dream it?
I think LS have played a very clever game here, launched lots of routes, gaining plenty of publicity in the process, all at low frequency during high season to markets that's let's be fair while some are slightly different for the market they are well known to work in general and fit with their holidays business. They are also making a very clear message to FR that this is their territory in terms of holiday flights. All interesting to watch, FR's response especially. I'd expect little or no response from EZY or EI who I'd guess will hold fast to what they are doing.

True Blue
26th Apr 2017, 20:19
I am surprised they picked Antalya over Bodrum. Antalya has only ever supported about one flight a week, in the past Bodrum has been capable of supporting about 6 flights a week.

mart901
26th Apr 2017, 20:45
I am surprised they picked Antalya over Bodrum. Antalya has only ever supported about one flight a week, in the past Bodrum has been capable of supporting about 6 flights a week.

Not 100% certain but I'd say the lack of any other operator from this island would be the draw for AYT. Theres only so much of a market for anything and LS's strategy looks like profit maximisation.

mart901
26th Apr 2017, 20:52

Also True Blue do not forget how sensitive politically Turkey is, still. The market is slowly building back but I can't see 6x BOD happening. The likes of TCX are putting routes like ALC back on sale from UK airports after years of absence, it's evidence that holidaymakers are still heading for old favourites in Spain over Turkey, Egypt etc.

BFS watcher
26th Apr 2017, 21:09
I read a comment by GK today, forecasting 5.8m this year. I have been through the airport several times this year and it is noticeably busier.I heard 5.6m, where did you hear 5.8m?

True Blue
26th Apr 2017, 21:41
It is in the article on the BBC NI site.

EI-BUD
26th Apr 2017, 22:45
Mart901,

Easyjet didn't do Belfast Almeria, but the Easyjet Belfast aircraft and crew used to do Belfast Stansted Almeria Stansted Belfast on selected days in previous seasons!

A320.b744
27th Apr 2017, 10:13
Didn't EZY do Almeria a few years ago, or did I dream it?

My Travel also operated to Almeria back in the day.

I think LS have played a very clever game here, launched lots of routes, gaining plenty of publicity in the process, all at low frequency during high season to markets that's let's be fair while some are slightly different for the market they are well known to work in general and fit with their holidays business. They are also making a very clear message to FR that this is their territory in terms of holiday flights. All interesting to watch, FR's response especially. I'd expect little or no response from EZY or EI who I'd guess will hold fast to what they are doing.

More than anything else Jet2 are catching up their Belfast base with their others (though BFS is still the smallest). Below are the number of bases (out of 8) that serve the new destinations.

Almeria (6), Antalya (8), Funchal (8), Heraklion (8), Malta (6), Naples (3), Paphos (8), Rhodes (8)

As you can see, 5 of the 8 new destinations are already served from all bases, so clearly this was a catchup expansion more than a retaliation to Ryanair.

Also worth noting; four other destinations are served from at least 6 Jet2 bases, so some of these could be launched from Belfast next year for 2019. Corfu (6), Dalaman (7), Larnaca (8), Split (6).

From next year Antalya will be served by all 9 Jet2 bases. Bodrum will only be served from the three largest bases. Given that this is their first Turkish route from Belfast, it makes sense for them to launch flights to the area where they have the larger operation, especially given that many passengers will be using Jet2 Holidays.

BFS BHD
3rd May 2017, 20:26
BFS watcher commented (25th Apr 2017);
Also that there will be another big announcement in mid-May with another in June.

Any rumours to what these announcements may be? EZY? BAW? CFE? RYR?

GAZMO
4th May 2017, 12:09
BFS watcher commented (25th Apr 2017);

Any rumours to what these announcements may be? EZY? BAW? CFE? RYR?
Extra flights to Burgas next summer
Source NI travel news

BFS BHD
4th May 2017, 18:14
Looks like the B737-800 for Jet2 will be based from November this year.
Looking at Tenerife on the 3rd of November shows a B737-800 seat map.

BFS watcher
5th May 2017, 19:39
I'd say from experience you are right, it can be like people everywhere at times, especially Starbucks and the bars which are starting to feel not big enough . Summer will be interesting - a good type of problem. Totally agree. Was in the terminal yesterday and the place was bouncing and this was the 1st week of May. Supposedly works starting shortly in the bar. Still hearing at least one more announcement this month and it sounds like it maybe a good one although no info on where but plenty of gossip.

A320.b744
5th May 2017, 19:43
A very good month for BFS, so no wonder management have raised their annual goal from 5.4m to 5.6m, and now to 5.8m. The airport saw 447,334 passengers in March, a 21% increase over last year.

BFS-LGW remains the busiest UK domestic route with 90,583 passengers, meaning 986,843 passengers have used the route during the first 12 months of Ryanair operating the route alongside easyJet.

All other domestic routes are reporting a 3-7% increase in passenger numbers compared with March 2016.

International routes of note;

Berlin: 3,306 - 127 pax (67%) - decision to go x2 weekly w17/18 is a good move
Milan: 2,468 - 137 pax (73%)
Gdansk: 2,591 - 144 pax (76%)
Warsaw: 2,499 -139 pax (73%)
Wroclaw: 2,659 - 148 pax (78%)
Vilnius: 2,589 - 144 pax (80%) - up 42% on 2016 - upgrade to A321 later this year

Other notable figures are that Krakow is up 102% since Ryanair joined easyJet. Ryanair is also making a mark in Spanish routes: Tenerife is up 29%,Lanzarote is up 6%, Malaga is up 115% and Alicante is up 78%.

GAZMO
5th May 2017, 19:54
Indeed very good figures
Should be good over the summer period with FR and extra EZY flights

EGAC is Better
5th May 2017, 23:04
The two returns I've used the Ryanair GRO route in the first 5 weeks of ops, I'd estimate 150-160 on each sector.

On a separate note, security has been a shambles recently. Last weekend, the priorty lane was being used by everyone which wasn't going down too well with those who had paid to skip the queue but subsequently had to queue anyway.

On Wednesday morning this week I couldn't purchase fast track because "the machine has no paper". It's 2017 and they lose out on business because there is no paper.

mart901
6th May 2017, 13:50
The Caa figures are amazing, especially given Easter falling differently. Sunshine remains ever popular, now year round it seems. The addition of some new and exclusive routes next year will hopefully further this.

Refuellerman
7th May 2017, 21:49
A lot more infrastructure needs done to cope with the influx in flights, an icts employee was telling me tonight that the queue for security was all the way down the stairs, and not enough staff to open all security lanes!

EGAC is Better
8th May 2017, 18:19
A lot more infrastructure needs done to cope with the influx in flights, an icts employee was telling me tonight that the queue for security was all the way down the stairs, and not enough staff to open all security lanes!

I try not to be a 'grumpy old man' at airports but things like this are very inconvenient and frustrating, BFS seems (in my experience) particularly bad for it at the moment.

cuthere
8th May 2017, 18:45
Landed (admittedly very early) from the BFS to BRS flight. Security at BFS was chaos. There were no staff directing people as to which queue to use. A large group had to jump the queue to get to their LPL flight on time, and the BRS flight was loaded at gate 18, meaning the pathetic, 1970s (note: no apostrophe required) sign was dangled almost in the main shopping area. Some comedy stag dos to soften the horror of using the place, mind, whoch was certainly entertaining. Should BMIR start LDY-BRS as rumoured, then a happy man I would be.

GAZMO
8th May 2017, 19:33
It's not rocket science .........BFS knows when flights are departing, the capacity of each aircraft at 90%LF.
Passengers turn up 60-90 mins for domestic flights, 90-120 mins for international flights, on average!!
Can someone not work out how many security staff are required for a speedy throughput
I could be dreading my summer holiday in August!!:confused:

cuthere
8th May 2017, 19:47
GAZMO, spot on. It's grand for BFS management to be (rightly) lauding their success. However, when that success comes with the hit that the airport isn't coping with the demand, then that's not great. I'd give yourself at least 90 mins from arriving to your flight.

mart901
8th May 2017, 20:02
Also they have the equipment there to deal with it, just lacking in manpower. Is it a recruitment issue?

A320.b744
8th May 2017, 20:04
Even if all security lanes are open, it still takes twice as long to pass through security than other airports. The whole 'central search' area was very poorly designed and honestly isn't much of an improvement on the old security accessed by the travelator. The sad thing is that 'central search' was the first phase of the (now scrapped) 2030 masterplan, which aimed to handle 13 million passengers. Security can barely handle 5 million passengers, never mind 13 million.

BFS watcher
8th May 2017, 20:15
Also they have the equipment there to deal with it, just lacking in manpower. Is it a recruitment issue? All the companies on the airport are struggling to recruit by the sounds of it. SSP trying to recruit 70 today with a jobs fair.

mart901
8th May 2017, 20:36
All the companies on the airport are struggling to recruit by the sounds of it. SSP trying to recruit 70 today with a jobs fair.
That sounds a lot but they operate Caffè Ritazza, Café-bar, Starbucks, Burger King, a couple of bars. They'd probably need 70 for the summer season

Refuellerman
9th May 2017, 08:08
Sure ramp and every 1 recruiting, all 0 hour temp work, no wonder their short for the summer

SecondDog
10th May 2017, 10:42
It's not rocket science .........BFS knows when flights are departing, the capacity of each aircraft at 90%LF.
Passengers turn up 60-90 mins for domestic flights, 90-120 mins for international flights, on average!!
Can someone not work out how many security staff are required for a speedy throughput
I could be dreading my summer holiday in August!!:confused:

Of course someone does that.

Depends on what people describe as a speedy throughout though. People here in N.I. seem to expect to get through search in less than 5 mins 'because it is only a wee airport' etc. and seem amazed when they get to security and see a queue (doesn't have to be full or anything, just a couple of hundred people in front of them and 'security was a shambles' expert expert expert quick, get it on Twitter!) Then they go all around the world and queue up without thinking about it.

These are the same people who flew to the US and actually expected to spend a couple of hours in line for the border there but said nothing/little about it. Take 25 minutes to get through search in BFS though and the world ends....

SecondDog
10th May 2017, 10:50
Even if all security lanes are open, it still takes twice as long to pass through security than other airports.

Good science there 320.744

All those timings you didn't post from airports you didn't name will really show up Belfast....

As I said above, people's expectations here are ludicrous at times.

owenc
10th May 2017, 11:06
Of course someone does that.

Depends on what people describe as a speedy throughout though. People here in N.I. seem to expect to get through search in less than 5 mins 'because it is only a wee airport' etc. and seem amazed when they get to security and see a queue (doesn't have to be full or anything, just a couple of hundred people in front of them and 'security was a shambles' expert expert expert quick, get it on Twitter!) Then they go all around the world and queue up without thinking about it.

These are the same people who flew to the US and actually expected to spend a couple of hours in line for the border there but said nothing/little about it. Take 25 minutes to get through search in BFS though and the world ends....

Hours? I've never spent more than 20-30 minutes at the US border.

GAZMO
10th May 2017, 11:36
25% growth in pax in first four months of year

https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2017/may/airport-hits-growth-of-over-25-in-first-third-of-year

A320.b744
10th May 2017, 11:42
Good science there 320.744

All those timings you didn't post from airports you didn't name will really show up Belfast....

Ok then; the last time I used BFS was taking the 07:10 EZY flight to MAN, so during the early morning rush hour. Every lane was open and it took 25 mins to get through security. The time before that was 08:15 EZY to EDI - that took 20 mins.

And now let's compare with every other airport that I've used in the last year;

LHR T3: 5 mins (mid afternoon), 10 mins (evening)
LHR T5: 10 mins (early morning)
LGW South: 15 mins (early morning)
PRG T2: 2 mins (early morning, late morning, afternoon) 5 mins (evening)
PRG T1: 15 mins (early morning, mid afternoon, evening - 2 security lanes at gate)
HEL T2: 2 mins (late afternoon)
TXL TD: 2 mins (mid morning)
VIE T3: 5 mins (evening)
MAN T1: 2 mins (late morning)
MAN T3: 10 mins (late morning), 15 mins (mid afternoon)
BHD: 10 mins (early morning), 2 mins (mid afternoon)
EDI: 5 mins (late afternoon)

As I said above, people's expectations here are ludicrous at times.

I rarely spend more than 10 minutes at security, even during the morning/even rush hour period. My personal expectation is that it should take the longest to pass through security at the busiest airports during rush hour. If I can get through security at Heathrow in 10 minutes and Gatwick in 15 minutes, then I'd sure as hell expect to get through security at BFS in less time than that. Unfortunately, I have been disappointed time and time again with security at BFS, even during the quietist periods.

These are the same people who flew to the US and actually expected to spend a couple of hours in line for the border there but said nothing/little about it.

Hours? I've never spent more than 30 minutes at border control in the US. I've spent twice as long at border control at BFS though.

Una Due Tfc
10th May 2017, 13:12
Hours? I've never spent more than 20-30 minutes at the US border.

Depends on the airport in my experience, LAX and MIA are the 2 worst in my experience. 3 hours is my record wait. The price difference would need to be 3 figures in the difference for me to take a connection in say LHR over preclearing in DUB or SNN and going direct or connecting in the states, but then SNN is my local.

Anyway with the runaway growth up there there's bound to be teething problems. I'm sure they'll get it fixed

West Brit
10th May 2017, 13:20
I have lost track with extensions at BFS. I would have thought that the terminal is only deigned for around 6 million passengers. If the trend is upwards would they have the cash to commence the east terminal?

EGAC is Better
10th May 2017, 16:51
In addition to all of a320's very valid points, I will add peak time Friday at Glasgow to that list at less than 10mins on average.

Also, if I pay to skip a queue I expect to skip the queue. Not be asked to join a line created by those who didn't pay simply because there aren't enough staff to open the number of lanes needed. In that case, I have paid to have the right to expect, demand and call it a shambles.

owenc
10th May 2017, 19:54
Stansted was a disaster this afternoon. Stood in the queue from 2:30pm to 3:40pm. The airport only opened 4/5 security lines and left the other 20-30 lines in disuse.

Staff members where holding up passengers and extending the process as they were pulling every second bag for inspection (massive queue here), I don't know if this is a new procedure in light of recent US regulations?

mart901
10th May 2017, 20:07
Stansted was a disaster this afternoon. Stood in the queue from 2:30pm to 3:40pm. The airport only opened 4/5 security lines and left the other 20-30 lines in disuse.

Staff members where holding up passengers and extending the process as they were pulling every second bag for inspection (massive queue here), I don't know if this is a new procedure in light of recent US regulations?

It's desperate at STN, the rudest and worst security staff I've seen.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/09/stansted-airport-security-fault-passengers-miss-flights

owenc
10th May 2017, 20:09
I know. It's best to comply with them though. I just get in and get out as quick as possible.

Very stressful airport.

mart901
10th May 2017, 20:32
I know. It's best to comply with them though. I just get in and get out as quick as possible.

Very stressful airport.

I totally agree. I thought it painted the UK in a terrible light last time I used it, foreign tourists being spoken to like dirt. LTN isn't great but it's like a dream in comparison. LGW I found brilliant this year.

Refuellerman
11th May 2017, 09:51
People always rushing to the gate for their flights, usually at the bar lol

cessnarocket
12th May 2017, 02:13
Passed through the terminal last night for a quick hop to London, got through the security in reasonable time 24 mins. I do get the feeling that this process could run a lot smoother bag search is total organised confusion security personal lift the bags of the belt and "hide them" in a queue leaving customers wondering "who has lifted my bag"? Body scanners I see they now have two in place processing every person through them in the queue! Why? Have never seen this happen at any other uk airport ? Certainly not a dft regulation, this alone probably slows down throughput 15/20% an hour. Departed through std 17 black marks on the wall all around. Can belfast management not afford to spend a bit of money on paint to tartan up the old doll? Leaves me wondering how and if they can cope with the influx of passengers the airport is about to receive during the summer? I did bump into an old friend on the way through and he mentioned an existing carrier more than doubling their operation next year!! This will push them well above 6m next year!

DC9_10
12th May 2017, 21:42
Just after last Christmas the queues for EZY bag drop were horrendous. Waited for just over an hour. To be fair security were very efficient however the queue for boarding at gates 10 to 14 ( the old BA area ) again was horrendous as it trailed down from the lounge passed the business lounge at the old gate 16/17 and nearly down to Starbucks. No staff to queue comb and people on flights departing the earliest just joining the back of the queue and panicking. This part of the terminal is dated and should be next to be upgraded as I would agree it's not fit fir purpose anymore.

ara01jbb
13th May 2017, 10:25
https://www.architecture.com/image-library/imagecache/galleryitems/69785.1.434.434.FFFFFF.jpeg
https://www.architecture.com/image-library/imagecache/galleryitems/69787.1.434.434.FFFFFF.jpeg

A few flashbacks for anyone harking back to the good old days (1963) when the security process hadn't obscured the lovely architectural spaces of the terminal...

(Pics from the RIBA Archive, available at https://www.architecture.com/image-library/ribapix.html?keywords=Aldergrove

jensdad
14th May 2017, 20:59
Some nice photos there, ara. Is it just me, or did airports just look cleaner and slicker in those days? My local airport, Newcastle, has had several extensions over the years. Each one in a totally different style to the last, resulting in an architectural shambles. Every airport I have visited with the exception of Kirkwall and suchlike is in the same boat.

ara01jbb
15th May 2017, 08:52
Some nice photos there, ara. Is it just me, or did airports just look cleaner and slicker in those days? My local airport, Newcastle, has had several extensions over the years. Each one in a totally different style to the last, resulting in an architectural shambles. Every airport I have visited with the exception of Kirkwall and suchlike is in the same boat.

+1

Although to be fair, the security considerations in Belfast in 1963 were somewhat conducive to good design :{

Fly BFS-GLA for something similar - a beautiful sixties terminal with a kind of scalloped vault over the main concourse, hidden by decades of poorly considered additions and extensions.

The terminal at Aldergrove was the handiwork of Belfast-born architect Billy McAllister (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/obituary-professor-billy-mcalister-a-gifted-architect-behind-airports-across-the-uk-34290948.html). His firm was also responsible for the terminals at MME, ABZ and LSI (which is, IMHO, one of the most incongruous buildings in Scotland).

BFS BHD
15th May 2017, 22:37
Any rumours of what the next announcement will be and when it will happen? Meant to be mid May so could be this week or next!

cessnarocket
16th May 2017, 07:54
Any rumours of what the next announcement will be and when it will happen? Meant to be mid May so could be this week or next!

I have a hint a few posts back

GAZMO
16th May 2017, 09:25
I will have a guess at VS doubling the number of flights to MCO from 8 to 16 for 2018?

GAZMO
16th May 2017, 10:16
First time I have seen EZY doing a charter service to Lourdes (Wednesday)

https://www.belfastairport.com/images/airline-logo2.jpgLOURDESEZY50107:00

Must have been an error, has since been removed

VickersVicount
16th May 2017, 11:07
I will have a guess at VS doubling the number of flights to MCO from 8 to 16 for 2018?
Would that be enough to significantly increase passenger numbers above 6M ? (its potentially 8 flights additional for whole year)

GAZMO
16th May 2017, 11:48
Maybe WIZZ will double from four to eight weekly? Only guessing. Maybe someone in the know will supply the info:)

BFS BHD
16th May 2017, 12:23
Jet2 has put one off flights from Belfast to Prague & Vienna on sale in Dec 2017.

Refuellerman
16th May 2017, 13:08
Existing or current operator, the suspense is k8lling me lol

GAZMO
17th May 2017, 08:27
Reported in BT this morning EZY passenger numbers up by 25%

GAZMO
17th May 2017, 11:26
Looks like extra flights to Santaland in December. Think only two last year, three this year?
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272868/thomas-cook-uk-expands-rovaniemi-operations-in-dec-2017/

BFS101
17th May 2017, 14:31
Still no mention of an FR Rome CIA.
The Ryanair advert, albeit in Italian for the Italian market, did show Belfast as an arrival point into Ireland, as part of Tourism Ireland campaign.

GAZMO
23rd May 2017, 06:00
Stats out for April. Up nearly 20% compared to last year, probably helped by late Easter
Domestic double digit growth, except EDI up 8%

GAZMO
25th May 2017, 10:50
£99 flights on sale with Norweigian at the moment, just a normal sale !!!

BFS BHD
26th May 2017, 04:26
Has the announcement been delayed?

A320.b744
26th May 2017, 06:11
Could the Jet2 Christmas market flights to Vienna and Prague have been the (rather disappointing) announcement? - the Christmas flights have been operated before by Jet2 but the BFS press release says they're two 'new' routes.

The dates for the Prague trip are absolutely pathetic - 1st-3rd December. The Christmas market only opens on the evening of the 2nd December, and even then the market isn't in full swing until at least the week after. Really bad planning on Jet2's behalf.

mart901
26th May 2017, 22:26
£99 flights on sale with Norweigian at the moment, just a normal sale !!!

1700 seats in the sale from BFS.its actually £173 return at the moment, even in peak summer, to either airport. And before anyone says they must be struggling for bookings at BFS they have the same sale going on ex EDI, and various similar offers from other UK airports.

EGAC is Better
26th May 2017, 23:04
1700 seats in the sale from BFS.its actually £173 return at the moment, even in peak summer, to either airport. And before anyone says they must be struggling for bookings at BFS they have the same sale going on ex EDI, and various similar offers from other UK airports.

Total speculation and most likely making 2+2 equal 10, but I wonder are the engines issues of a couple of weeks back making them reconsider using the MAX across the Atlantic immediately?

Perhaps these new routes are going to be operated by larger than planned, short term leased in aircraft with the cheap seats being sold as a means to fill them up and cover costs.

I remember they had to lease in capacity when the 787 had a less than stellar entry into service and massively disrupted ops.

Refuellerman
26th May 2017, 23:08
Total speculation and most likely making 2+2 equal 10, but I wonder are the engines issues of a couple of weeks back making them reconsider using the MAX across the Atlantic immediately?

Perhaps these new routes are going to be operated by larger than planned, short term leased in aircraft with the cheap seats being sold as a means to fill them up and cover costs.

I remember they had to lease in capacity when the 787 had a less than stellar entry into service and massively disrupted ops.
Would they still not operate the b737-8 rather to spend big money on leasing?

owenc
27th May 2017, 00:03
The 737-800 can operate to New York from Belfast in summer, it's only 3,000 miles.

EGAC is Better
27th May 2017, 07:30
The 737-800 can operate to New York from Belfast in summer, it's only 3,000 miles.

That is technically possible if they have spares just lying around to use during the busy summer season?

If the MAX's engines are possibly going to be problemic (which most new engines in recent past initially have been), lower utlisation might me a good way to ease them into service ie. the total opposite approach that was used when they bought the 787.

1700 seats is a lot to effectively give away if you don't need to though. Given the initial statements, it would seem bookings started very strongly. This is the sole reason I wondered if they were perhaps forming a backup plan.

owenc
27th May 2017, 09:15
Anyone know if there is a way for me to get back to Northern Ireland from SE England today for less than £100?

GAZMO
27th May 2017, 14:35
Not via LHR with BA
Try FR website to see if any seats on their last flight back to BFS from STN

cuthere
27th May 2017, 15:49
BFS from STN? When did that start GAZMO?!

GAZMO
27th May 2017, 16:13
Oops meant LGW🙄🙄🙄

You never know maybe soon!!

mart901
27th May 2017, 16:20
Anyone know if there is a way for me to get back to Northern Ireland from SE England today for less than £100?

The ferry I think be the answer to that question!

canberra97
27th May 2017, 16:39
But a good chunk of that £100 would be spent on getting from the South East of England to either Cairnryan, Heysham, Liverpool to get the ferry to Belfast.

You could always use your company Credit Card Owen!

GAZMO
27th May 2017, 17:00
Chill out in London, pick up a show and do some sightseeing. Fly back Monday morning when things hopefully back to normal

owenc
27th May 2017, 19:21
Failed venture, tried every option. Need £200 +

ara01jbb
28th May 2017, 10:39
But a good chunk of that £100 would be spent on getting from the South East of England to either Cairnryan, Heysham, Liverpool to get the ferry to Belfast.

Not true.

SailRail train and ferry tickets are available from any station in the UK (via Cairnryan) and cost from £31 - £54 one way, available for sale up until 18:00 the night before.

Info on Seat61.com - https://seat61.com/NorthernIreland.htm

True Blue
31st May 2017, 09:39
Virgin to operate March to September next year 2018?

NWSRG
31st May 2017, 09:58

That's a big jump from the current offering...but seems like a natural expansion, in the manner that VS usually build. Would be fantastic to see.

Might even mean they add a few others...we could probably support a weekly LAS...

West Brit
31st May 2017, 09:59
True Blue,

That is fantastic news, where did you hear this?

True Blue
31st May 2017, 10:01
Virgin to increase Belfast flights (http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2027344&c=setreg&region=2)

A320.b744
31st May 2017, 10:01

Monday B744 flights from 26th March to 4th September, with additional Friday flights from 22nd June to 13th July - that's 12,740 seats each way (25,480 in total) and 28 return flights (up from 8 in 2017 and 4 in 2016).

West Brit
31st May 2017, 10:03
That's a big jump from the current offering...but seems like a natural expansion, in the manner that VS usually build.

Around 1997-2001 there were flights on Saturday and Monday, May-September/October. Airtours / Air 2000. So it should be sustainable. All we need back to BFS is Toronto!

GAZMO
31st May 2017, 10:55
Congrats BFS and VS, more great news.

Hopefully a few more new routes for 2018:rolleyes:

owenc
31st May 2017, 11:13
Great news!

Refuellerman
31st May 2017, 12:53
That's a big jump from the current offering...but seems like a natural expansion, in the manner that VS usually build.

Around 1997-2001 there were flights on Saturday and Monday, May-September/October. Airtours / Air 2000. So it should be sustainable. All we need back to BFS is Toronto!
With the united not operating, the mco or sfb runs the charter operators should get extra pax

NWSRG
31st May 2017, 17:03
Brilliant news...maybe this will help encourage a few other transatlantic operators.

And...in a few years we'll have A350-1000s operating out of BFS! (although would rather see the 789s myself).

BFS BHD
1st Jun 2017, 01:49
Great to see Virgin Atlantic expanding hopefully we may see Las Vegas added soon too!

A320.b744
1st Jun 2017, 02:47
Great to see Virgin Atlantic expanding hopefully we may see Las Vegas added soon too!

Virgin Atlantic operated weekly GLA-LAS flights for a 4 week period in 2015, though the route was axed after one season due to a lack of demand. At the time VS operated thrice weekly flights to MCO (almost thrice the 2018 BFS offering when they launched their second route).

If VS were to commence BFS-LAS flights it would almost certainly be post 2019 when the B744s have been replaced by the smaller (and more efficient) A351.

However, VS have already failed to make a success of LAS from a regional airport, so I'd be surprised if they gave BFS a try. It's also worth noting that the likes of TCX have operated BFS-LAS in the past, and haven't been too keen to recommence those flights, so they mustn't think the demand is there. The lack of the UA connection to EWR would favour a direct link to LAS however.

BFS BHD
6th Jun 2017, 00:17
So any ideas what the next announcement will be that's meant to be announced this month? :) And is there any more planned now?

True Blue
7th Jun 2017, 14:14
So the first Norwegian flight to New York seems to be full.

El Bunto
7th Jun 2017, 15:31
First 737 MAX delivery to Norwegian has been unilaterally knocked to the right again by Boeing. Had been reslotted to 13 June, now sometime endish-June / start July.

True Blue
7th Jun 2017, 15:40
Am I correct in saying a number of seats will remain un-sold whilst they use the 737-800 until the max arrives?

El Bunto
7th Jun 2017, 16:11
I believe that is correct. 150ish is the limit I remember under 'normal' circumstances. Miami Air has run loaded DOD-charter B738s from Shannon and Prestwick westbound but with a stop in newfoundland.

GAZMO
7th Jun 2017, 16:49
This was posted on routes on line re Norweigan aircraft
Maybe of interest
Norwegian 737MAX 8 S17 service entry changes as of 29MAY17 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/273062/norwegian-737max-8-s17-service-entry-changes-as-of-29may17/)

mart901
7th Jun 2017, 17:21
I believe that is correct. 150ish is the limit I remember under 'normal' circumstances. Miami Air has run loaded DOD-charter B738s from Shannon and Prestwick westbound but with a stop in newfoundland.

Only Providence that is affected

BFS BHD
7th Jun 2017, 20:29
Airport ready for 2.3 million summer rush passengers
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2017/june/airport-ready-for-23-million-summer-rush-passengers

racedo
7th Jun 2017, 21:09
Must admit to using BFS again after many years.

Its quick even though the Ulster Fry after checkin at £9.95 is a joke.............

mart901
7th Jun 2017, 21:19
It's a bit like Ryanair racedo, in order to keep the fares low you fleece the customer on the catering front....

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Jun 2017, 21:36
Its quick even though the Ulster Fry after checkin at £9.95 is a joke.............

Surly someone as wise as you didn't purchase it ;)

GAZMO
10th Jun 2017, 21:07
Further delay in Norwegian max aircraft?
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/273220/norwegian-moves-737max-8-inaugural-to-mid-july-2017/

AerRyan
10th Jun 2017, 21:20
Won't affect the services, they will start on 737-800's.

owenc
11th Jun 2017, 00:22
Further delay in Norwegian max aircraft?
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/273220/norwegian-moves-737max-8-inaugural-to-mid-july-2017/

I don't think range is a problem from Belfast.

waffler
11th Jun 2017, 12:47
Now that Foster has May by the b@lls, this looks like your best time to eliminate the dreaded APD and have Heathrows new runway built in Aldergrove. :ok:

owenc
11th Jun 2017, 13:03
Moving swiftly past your crude language.

APD has been removed for Long Haul flights from Northern Ireland already.

BFS watcher
11th Jun 2017, 13:19
Now that Foster has May by the b@lls, this looks like your best time to eliminate the dreaded APD and have Heathrows new runway built in Aldergrove. :ok:I would put money on that Mr A and Mr K's phones have a lot of DUP numbers being phoned just now.

mart901
11th Jun 2017, 14:22
As and when the Assembly is up and running they have the power to remove APD

Buc Driver
11th Jun 2017, 20:21
Up until now the assembly has had the power to remove APD, but not the money. Now the DUP will get the Tories to pay for it!

GAZMO
11th Jun 2017, 21:32
If on international routes that would be great😀😀😀😀

owenc
11th Jun 2017, 22:51
I think we'll be lucky to get international routes. It looked empty this evening. Only five planes.

mart901
12th Jun 2017, 06:07
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2017/june/belfast-international-launches-major-advertising-drive-in-republic-of-ireland

Jamie2k9
13th Jun 2017, 23:19
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2017/june/belfast-international-launches-major-advertising-drive-in-republic-of-ireland

What a rubbish marketing ploy.

Sometimes less is always more....

BFS BHD
14th Jun 2017, 00:44
So when's the next route announcement due?

BFS watcher
14th Jun 2017, 07:32
What a rubbish marketing ploy.

Sometimes less is always more....
Winding you Dubs up is it......fantastic stuff.

El Bunto
14th Jun 2017, 08:18
“At the other end, you can be through Immigration in under 15 minutes without the congestion of Newark, JFK, Boston or the queues at pre-clearance in Dublin" Well that's the first time I've seen pre-clearance described as a nuisance for normal travellers... most of them seem to like it.

We fly to ninety destinations in Europe I'll have to sit-down with a tally-counter but I think some creative accounting might be involved there. Did they count Leipzig and Cologne, occasional cargo flights operate directly...

BHD2BFS
14th Jun 2017, 11:50
With the expansion of routes and frequencies at quite a fast rate what is BFS management plans for expanding the terminal?
Security is boxed in and can't really be expanded and shops will start to struggle to cope at peak times?
I'm quite surprised a covered walkway or pier has not been build for the EZY stands it's a miserable walk to the aircraft when wet and windy

PPRuNeUser0176
14th Jun 2017, 15:28
Have easyjet an A320 based in summer anymore?

BFS BHD
14th Jun 2017, 15:41
Yes G-EZTM is based at the minute.

BFS BHD
15th Jun 2017, 20:11
First Flight to the US Fully Booked
First Flight to the US Fully Booked (http://www.nitravelnews.com/news-stories/2847-first-flight-to-the-us-fully-booked.html)

Meanwhile there is the possibility of Norwegian using its Belfast aircraft, which would be on the ground here for more than six hours, on another short hop - perhaps to Copenhagen, some time in future.

SecondDog
19th Jun 2017, 18:49
Good to see the big bird back again. Always makes it seem more like an airport with a jumbo.

Roll on next year for a full season.

mart901
19th Jun 2017, 21:08
Anyone know what LS are basing at BFS next summer?

BFS BHD
19th Jun 2017, 22:23
At the minute its 3x B733s & 1x B738.

mart901
20th Jun 2017, 06:53
Thanks for your reply BFS BHD. I've got PFO booked and I figured it would be 738 by the seating plan. Hopefully a new one or have they refitted the older ones??

BFS BHD
21st Jun 2017, 12:32
Jet2 New Routes For Winter 2017/18

Salzburg - 1 Weekly from 30th December 2017 to 31st March 2018

Verona - 1 Weekly from 6 January 2018 to 31st March 2018

Refuellerman
21st Jun 2017, 20:43
Jet2 New Routes For Winter 2017/18

Salzburg - 1 Weekly from 30th December 2017 to 31st March 2018

Verona - 1 Weekly from 6 January 2018 to 31st March 2018

Is all this new jet2 and ryanair routes not spelling the end for ezy, when was their last new routes, or they are maybe playing the safe card and waiting to see what fr are really up to?

A320.b744
21st Jun 2017, 22:10
Is all this new jet2 and ryanair routes not spelling the end for ezy, when was their last new routes, or they are maybe playing the safe card and waiting to see what fr are really up to?

easyJet commenced flights to Dubrovnik last month, going head to head with Jet2 who've been operating the route for several years, so it's not as if they're not adding new routes from Belfast. However, easyJet are no longer in expansion mode and aren't adding many new routes from any of their bases, but are instead increasing frequencies on well established routes.

Also, I don't think that Jet2 is much of a threat for easyJet, given that most of their new flights are only operated once a week, and Ryanair have mainly opened routes to airports that aren't served by easyJet from any of their bases.

Refuellerman
22nd Jun 2017, 07:27
easyJet commenced flights to Dubrovnik last month, going head to head with Jet2 who've been operating the route for several years, so it's not as if they're not adding new routes from Belfast. However, easyJet are no longer in expansion mode and aren't adding many new routes from any of their bases, but are instead increasing frequencies on well established routes.

Also, I don't think that Jet2 is much of a threat for easyJet, given that most of their new flights are only operated once a week, and Ryanair have mainly opened routes to airports that aren't served by easyJet from any of their bases.
Good point, lets hope apd goes and we will see what happens

josechung
24th Jun 2017, 16:05
Going through the airport last night and staff (looking completely worn out) told me it was the busiest day in the airports history. Anyway of confirming?

True Blue
24th Jun 2017, 21:43
You should refer to the press release on the airport website.

BFS watcher
24th Jun 2017, 22:23
Going through the airport last night and staff (looking completely worn out) told me it was the busiest day in the airports history. Anyway of confirming?
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2017/june/belfast-international-set-for-busiest-day-ever

West Brit
25th Jun 2017, 10:50
A TCX A321 landed into BFS from LGW within the last half hour. I wonder is it a change over for the Belfast based A321, or is it off to Orlando?

LAX_LHR
25th Jun 2017, 11:10
The A321 won't be going to Orlando. Don't think it has ETOPS for a start.

owenc
25th Jun 2017, 11:36
A TCX A321 landed into BFS from LGW within the last half hour. I wonder is it a change over for the Belfast based A321, or is it off to Orlando?

An A330 landed at 6am.

West Brit
25th Jun 2017, 12:14
Must have been a training flight as it headed to Manchester!! The A330 was in early then!

josechung
25th Jun 2017, 13:20
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2017/june/belfast-international-set-for-busiest-day-ever

Thanks! Never thought of that.

owenc
25th Jun 2017, 13:27
No, no training flight. Plane enroute to MCO now from BFS.

El Bunto
26th Jun 2017, 07:40
Four-ship formation of RAF Tucanos due around 18:30 on Tuesday evening, 72 Squadron doing a centenary tour of ( some ) of their former bases.

Startledgrapefruit
27th Jun 2017, 11:06
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40386476

KNT544
27th Jun 2017, 11:23
Looks like skewed figures due to Burgas.

El Bunto
27th Jun 2017, 14:41
Tucanos scrubbed due to weather, may resched another day.

PinOnTheRight
27th Jun 2017, 19:37
The TCX A321 visit was delivering spares for the grounded A330.

Refuellerman
27th Jun 2017, 20:35
The TCX A321 visit was delivering spares for the grounded A330.

2 front tyres

mart901
30th Jun 2017, 21:43
Anyone know when/where the 2x D8 73H's are coming in from?

BFS BHD
30th Jun 2017, 22:06
On the Arrivals page. :)

mart901
30th Jun 2017, 22:43
On the Arrivals page. :)

Thanks BFS BHD, it wasn't appearing there or radar earlier!

West Brit
2nd Jul 2017, 12:21
Do TCX use an Orlando based A330 for the Sunday morning departure? The reason I ask is that there was a TCX from Orlando at 0555 this morning, according to the arrival boards last night. However I was in the Carrickfergus area this morning and at around 11.00 there appeared to be a TCX A330 going into BFS!

NWSRG
2nd Jul 2017, 15:27
Do TCX use an Orlando based A330 for the Sunday morning departure? The reason I ask is that there was a TCX from Orlando at 0555 this morning, according to the arrival boards last night. However I was in the Carrickfergus area this morning and at around 11.00 there appeared to be a TCX A330 going into BFS!

From NI Aviation Enthusiasts website...

The previous flight out to Orlando diverted to Tampa, then repositioned to Orlando, and the return (that was expected at 0555) was cancelled.

Another A330 positioned into Aldergrove to do today's departure...

West Brit
2nd Jul 2017, 15:46
Cheers for that.

True Blue
2nd Jul 2017, 21:14
Past through the airport yesterday about 10.00am. Decided to have a coffee as our flight was delayed about 20 minutes. So we went to the first one after security, is it the Strangford? Place pretty quiet as first rush over and before the second one. Bought our coffee and then went to find a table. Almost every table still had cups/plates etc from the earlier rush. No tables being cleared. Hardly any customers and 5 staff on duty. No tables being cleared at all. We sat until 10.30, by now the second rush is starting. At that point I went up to the counter and asked if they had any comment cards. Panic then! No comment cards but the staff member then went looking for help. A second appeared, I asked if there was a manager available. No, no managers worked weekends. I explained my concerns re the tables and was then encouraged to leave my comments on their website. At about 10.40 the second lady started to clear some tables. I think I met some of the 72% of employees who are not engaged with their employer yesterday. A disgrace for our premier airport and certainly the scene I witnessed yesterday did absolutely nothing for the image of the airport.