PDA

View Full Version : BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

dog in park
31st Mar 2012, 16:33
21.30 is the last time you can schedule a flight. You can land a flight up to 2359. The 2130 cut off is a fable in the media to wind up the locals .anyway an opperation like BA shoiuld not have that many delays. A 767 maybe two weeks a year? Dont think that would worry BA.

flying officer kite
31st Mar 2012, 19:14
It certainly will be interesting to see what happens regrading the BMI merge into BA/IAG.

Its hard to ignore looking at what has happened in Glasgow recently, whereby the withdrawl of BMI led BA to take all the market, and use the 767 each weekday morning over the winter, but would there be a similar demand in Belfast??? It'll be interesting to see if similar things happen at Edinburgh, since I think some EDI slots are part of the sacrifice BA need to make to let the takeover go through.

My 2 cents (and its just an opinion) is that BA will continue to use Aer Lingus as a codeshare from Aldergrove.. with slots at a premium, and the openly admitted desire to expand more in Long Haul out of Heathrow, why would BA ruin an agreement that works to their advantage? Sure, he could pull out of the codeshare and take all the business, but is Walsh going to want to part with more slots that he would rather use elsewhere?

Incidently, the based EI A319, is it to operate mainly international flights, or the London run?

BMI manage to operate upto half a dozen flights a weekday, mostly on the 319s, occasionally the 320s. Even if BA reduce the number of flights a little, and utilise the likes of theA320 and A321 more often, there should still be enough capacity available with just that.

Regarding any preference to BFS over BHD, and performance issues, there are no real issues for an A321 operating into Belfast City. Thomas cook can operate the higher capacity A321 direct to Spain so the lower capacity BA 321 (188 seats or so) to Heathrow should be easier, though they do go through brakes a lot quicker at Belfast :)

BHD2BFS- what you said about keeping it all under one roof, and having both operate from Aldergrove will suit the passenger that, as you said, needs a quick transfer to another flight to Heathrow, however i'm not convinced or aware of any financial benefits of having both operate together against two airports, as they're both seperate companies, and both have their own prices and arrangements with the airports, handling agents etc. regardless of what airport they use. If, for example they were to merge, or self employ more staff, rather than outsource, then it would be a massive benefit to have all under one roof. You could also argue that having access to Heathrow and BA connections from both airports could appeal to a wider market, and keep everyone happy.

Lastly, and probably a long shot thought, but if Willie Walsh wants to return properly to NI, could we see Cityflyer operating from London City, or the Gatwick 734s? (the latter could hurt the Flybe codeshare though). It might be a limited market, but it seems to do well to other cities on mainland UK.

EI-BUD
31st Mar 2012, 20:44
Incidently, the based EI A319, is it to operate mainly international flights,
or the London run?

No, 320 in the main designated to London route, though I guess would some days such as Saturday where London demand not as strong, the canaries or Spain will get the 320, and London get 319.

Hi there flying officer kite, you raise some interesting points.

The fact that BA/IAG will have to surrender some slots (if that comes to pass) this will put an even great premium on the other slots that they get, and in order to fulfil any long haul ambitions that BA has, they will have fewer slots to use.

Belfast London unlike other domestics like ABZ, GLA, EDI etc, has an airline 'partner', i.e. Aer Lingus who can fulful the interlining requirements of BA without using their own slots. Aer Lingus winter flying program includes a 320 on London and the other European routes on 319. Where will the 2nd 319 go for the winter? Would be surprised to see it sent off to Dublin....1 lonely 319 unit in Dublin where it has not been used before? Watch this space? Another x4 daily on BFS LHR? With no competing BHD route that would work well. (Assuming EI got an extra 4 slot pairs)

I could never see BA touching LCY or LGW ex Belfast. When the SuperShuttle was operating LHR BFS when the main route to BFS was a London route, BA was not tempted by a LGW connection and LCY with AF (which was short lived from BHD which started when FR arrived and EI) didnt work. BA's experience across the Irish Sea from LCY has been poor, with LCY DUB being abandoned mid season due to dire loads. So my guess would be absolutely no. Would BA also want to enter the fray at BFS V Easyjet? Not likely. And would they want to step onto BE's busiest route (or certainly one of their busiest) when BE already feed passengers onto BA at LGW, seems unlikely to me.

EI-BUD

EI-BUD
31st Mar 2012, 20:49
It would also seem that AerLingus have not finalised their winter schedule from Belfast, the European routes showing only up to end of October. This would seem late, I think last year was in place by now. London is already loaded/scheduled....

larry the man
31st Mar 2012, 21:30
Flying Officer Kite
Not so sure that there would be no restrictions on 321s operating to and from the city.
When bmi first started ops from the city, when the route was of sufficent size to merit a larger aircraft, there had to be some software modifications made to the aircraft to facilitate the short field operation. Perhaps the 321s you are referring to already have the modification completed.

flying officer kite
31st Mar 2012, 21:51
some valid points, but like i said-time will tell :)

Ref the A321, i cant vouch for knowing anything about Airbus avionics, and i know the performance varies airport to airport, but by comparing runway lengths at a like for like basis, I am assuming the BA ones must be of a similar specification.. they have used the A321 in and out of Aberdeen and other similar runway lengths. Perhaps any BA/BMI crew can verify?

Interesting thought about Aer Lingus ramping up the number of services out of Aldergrove, but even 4 extra flights would barely/or only just about cover the gap left by all of BMI's flights (i see the BD85 is back again too). Also do they have enough spare slots? There was an outcry when, to start flights out of Belfast, some slots from Shannon were taken. Also as someone pointed out above, would Aer lingus operating the services contradict what Walsh said about BA returning to NI???

The codeshare already exists, and has done for a while, so if his plan was to only use Aer Lingus to cover the market after the BA/BMI merge, why would he say he intends to return to Belfast/NI??

As for my comment about BA LGW/LCY ops, just wishful thinking on my behalf. I miss those steep approaches from the days of British European, and Cityjet never did well when they tried it..

larry the man
1st Apr 2012, 07:38
It will all be sorted shortly and the important thing is that NI does not lose a vital link to the rest of the world. The NI airports should be working on getting a viable alternative connecting service with a European operator that would ultimately reduce the reliance on LHR and reduce the number of passengers still coming to DUB.

dog in park
1st Apr 2012, 13:51
Would not worry about the BA Airbus getting in to BHD. Sure are they not flying the olympic torch into the city. that will be a nice start for the spotters (stir the pot dot com)

CabinCrewe
1st Apr 2012, 15:53
A full BA A321 in domestic config can operate to LHR without restriction from BHD

flying officer kite
1st Apr 2012, 20:57
Kestrel 909 - a long story, but it has been updated

Straightahead
4th Apr 2012, 10:30
Figures from the first few flights that started Mon
Mon 115/82 129/44
Tue 97/41 145/30
Wed 141/49
First figures are inbound/outbound

Bigger ad campaign on the mainland although now advertising in NI, looks good at this early stage.

mizake the mizzen
4th Apr 2012, 11:05
For anyone interested, Olympic Holidays have now confirmed a deal with Aegean Airlines (A3) to cover some flying (previously advertised as confirmed with Strategic, then Small Planet)

Day5 LCA 1930-2250 BFS 2350-0700 LCA A34130/1 A320/168Y

they have also contracted with A3

Day6 LCA 1930-2230 BHX 2330-0620 LCA A34132/3 A320/168Y
Day2 HER 2000-2145 HUY 2245-0430 HER A34980/1 A320/168Y

The LCA flights operate on the based LCA unit after the LHR scheduled flight
(LCA 0815-1115 LHR 1215-1840 LCA).
All timings are Local.

mart901
4th Apr 2012, 11:05
If thats anything to go by I'm presuming the people who are based closer to SEN than another airport in London are making good use of it, it may be harder to convince people in NI that SEN is a good bet for London.

JTSB
5th Apr 2012, 14:34
Will probably just take time. SEN is certainly no worse an option than STN for London in terms of journey times (especially on the train), and it might even be a better option in terms of efficiency and getting through the airport.

tigger2k8
6th Apr 2012, 10:31
I see there will be a flight to Tromso next Feburary (1 off charter by the looks of it)

Tw!tter -

Pinnacle Worldwide are delighted to announce the first ever direct flight from Belfast to Tromso on 24th February 2013.

eastern wiseguy
8th Apr 2012, 21:52
Has anyone else (around the airport) heard the rumour of the long distance flight which is supposed to be starting soon?.

Not a westbound flight.

Facelookbovvered
8th Apr 2012, 22:06
Further east than AMS?.........:suspect:

eastern wiseguy
8th Apr 2012, 22:12
Yes......beyond Europe...a true Long Haul.

BHD2BFS
8th Apr 2012, 22:20
Eastern do you know what the destination is rumored to be?

eastern wiseguy
8th Apr 2012, 22:33
BHD2BFS...All I know is the country(alleged). That it will be a twice monthly charter......and the equipment is an Airbus 330 or 340.

What I don't know is if there is any substance to the rumour.

BHD2BFS
8th Apr 2012, 22:44
So more than likely Dubai? By presumably emirates? I wish BFS management would work on a Canada route, there is definitely a market as was proven in a report a few months ago, the only reason I can see why there is no routes to the west is due to high fees at BFS and any more development into Europe seems to be impossible at management are scared to get a new airline in incase they P@£? Off easyjet. Just my opinion

stab3.5up
8th Apr 2012, 22:58
A6 may be a clue indeed due to very high booked loads ex dub.......

EI-BUD
8th Apr 2012, 23:12
Re Emirates. They would be most welcome. Though the current level of capacity ex Dublin to the middle east is working due to the sheer level of emigration to Australian/NZ etc. Not confident that there going to be demand to this extent ongoing.

On a separate note flew Belfast London Southend today, 126 pax onboard. Crew said numbers good across the routes. It appeared busy. I was sceptical about SEN but I think the airport will do ok. I hope the BFS route is a success. Was interesting that the majority of accents seemed to be English. Point being maybe not as many NI based pax switched on to SEN. Hence, may be the local catchment who use the airport more than inbound travellers. Of the pax I spoke to they said they chose SEN as it was more convenient than STN. I had a strong sense that STN will lose some pax. Unlikely the market will grow overall significantly as a result of an additional London gateway. I think we will see a like for like shift in pax from both Belfast stansted routes to southend Belfast route.

Ei-bud

eastern wiseguy
8th Apr 2012, 23:32
And it isn't DXB....

Straightahead
9th Apr 2012, 10:37
very important visit this Thursday from the far east trade missions im led to believe using A330 staying for 3-4 days.Here to spend their yen.
Interesting times at BFS

DannyKelly22
9th Apr 2012, 12:59
I see there was an extra EI A320 positioned in today as EI-DVI operate the BFS-AGP route today so far whereas EI-DVI positioned from DUB this morning and is operating the LHR rotations. Is one of the A319's tech r is the loads just higher because its Easter?

controller friendly
9th Apr 2012, 16:08
Awwww, u tryin to keep me out!!!

tigger2k8
9th Apr 2012, 23:17
One of the A319s was/is tech.. Sat all day, should be 4 EI's sitting in BFS tonight

david1994
10th Apr 2012, 00:04
The extra A320 which came in this morning has left for Dublin and all.

Mlinnie
11th Apr 2012, 11:07
How are the sun routes doing this year out of Belfast International doing now that they have competition with baby ?

AIRPORT66
11th Apr 2012, 16:15
The numbers on the sun routes are good does not seem to have dented to much overall the numbers out of Bfs at the minute are very good the routes to MAN,SEN are doing very well full loads on lot of flights?

Mlinnie
11th Apr 2012, 17:32
Brilliant to hear !

Mlinnie
11th Apr 2012, 17:44
Any rumours for new routes in 2013 ? Aer Lingus Regional ? I know that there is talk of resuming a Toronto service, or how likely is it that Emirates or Etihad start flights out of Belfast ? It's about time that BFS gets a new long haul service :)

tigger2k8
11th Apr 2012, 17:49
Remember when comparing numbers that the last week and half has seen increased traffic due to Easter, but yes, flights including MAN and SEN have been hitting the 156 mark, but then so have most domestics during this period, even some of the flights on the A320 have been at capacity..

SecondDog
12th Apr 2012, 14:16
Seems like West of the Atlantic is a dead duck, everything other than the United95 seems to want to go from DUB (the pre-clearance for the US border is an unbeatable draw, especially when linked with the complete lack of APD down there. Then considering you can get from Belfast to DUB in less than 2 hours and they have cheap parking etc etc)

Canada should be a possibility but capacity in DUB for Canadian routes probably meets demand at the moment.

I'd be interested to hear what this supposed Eastern Route is (although there have been lots of rumours about that for as long as I can remember!)

In my opinion they should be trying for something to Scandinavia/Northern Europe for city breaks/skiing in winter. And a revived Prague route would be good too!

tigger2k8
12th Apr 2012, 16:44
Managed to hear a quick interview on BBC news at lunch about a political visitor from China, Ms Liu.. if i was a betting person i think i would put my money on a route to an Asian country as the rumored route mentioned here..

Another_Dude
12th Apr 2012, 22:44
Wouldn't have anything to do with the Air China A330 sitting on 25 tonight?

ara01jbb
13th Apr 2012, 07:23
Yep, this was Liu Yandong arriving yesterday (with pic).

BBC News - Top Chinese politician Liu Yandong arrives in Northern Ireland (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17677466)

EI-BUD
13th Apr 2012, 23:00
I see BA flew in Earlier. Now on departure board for a 2355 departure to Manchester.
I think it is Airbus 319/320.

Anybody know the reason for the visit?,BA4503...

EI-BUD

david1994
13th Apr 2012, 23:06
It was BA City Flyer, E190, G-LCYL as theirs is no towbar for this type at BFS for the pushback he needed to stop short of 17 in order to self maneuver.

BFS101
16th Apr 2012, 21:13
The provisional CAA statistics are out for March 12.
Interesting to note that with new competition from WW at BHD the routes from BFS have actually grown!! Price war encouraging more people to fly??

AMS up 10%
GVA up 26%
FAO up 42%
ALC up 48%
AGP no % change
PMI up 159%

Would seem that BCN and MJV may have suffered both down 17%. Canaries on the whole slightly down also with the exception of FUE.

EWR down 15%!! 6890 passengers carried on the route. Can anyone work out an accurate LF?? Know this means very little as yield and Business First may well be doing well.

On the whole BFS March figures up 10.3% and rolling 12 months up 4.9%

mart901
16th Apr 2012, 21:40
This also makes a nonsense of the argument that the routes WW have launched were just duplication and there was no need for them - if anything it proves the market needed shaking up.

BHD2BFS
16th Apr 2012, 21:48
The duplication hasn't watered down the market. WW flights are currently around 130. So both airports are doing well on European routes

BFS101
16th Apr 2012, 22:02
I wonder though has EZY vs WW brought on a price war resulting in unsustainable pricing by the airlines, but fares to good to refuse for the travelling public. Thus resulting in a reduction in passengers to BCN, MJV, the Canaries etc.

Are these low prices distorting what was a mature market?? Same thing happened when EI competed on the AMS, NCE and CDG. After EI pulled these routes, capacity and loads seemed to settle back and return to 'normal'. Obviously two carriers couldn't make those routes work, is there room for WW if charging sustainable fares on the routes they are now competing in. They could well be, but guess none of us are privy to that information just yet.

EI-BUD
16th Apr 2012, 22:16
AMS up 10%
GVA up 26%
FAO up 42%
ALC up 48%
AGP no % change
PMI up 159%

Would seem
that BCN and MJV may have suffered both down 17%. Canaries on the whole slightly
down also with the exception of FUE.

BFS 101,

ALC only up due to AerLingus and Easyjet both operating the route for the month. Previous year Easyjet had the winter market to themselves.

WW started at the end of the month so that's not really of big significance to ALC Route.

AMS capacity up by 6 a week from BHD (now dropped back) and an extra 3 from BFS so we have total of 16 flights a week where there were 7 same time LY! So more than double the flights for 10% increase! Good to see them on the up though.

GVA now also seeing Jet2 flights, I dont think these were going last year? Did City airport lose some flights on charter than BE used to operate?

Palma, probably 159% up on a small base, I would say down to timing, ie what date in march did summer timetable kick in last year v this year! Not being negative, just that 25th March this year v 28th last year, not sure on the exact dates though!

Long may the growth continue in BFS, lets hope both airports indeed the 3 NI Airports get a good summer season.

EI-BUD

Mlinnie
17th Apr 2012, 15:20
Is MJV Malta's airport ? Also how are the loads on the Easyjet Krakow route ??? I would hope this route would do well because it is the only route between Northern Ireland and Poland. Finally how about TCX ? How are the first summer flights doing ? (Larnaca,Dalaman etc) and is Enfidha and Sharm El Sheikh being served by BFS this summer ?

TSR2
17th Apr 2012, 16:39
MJV is the airport code for Murcia San Javier airport.

Mlinnie
17th Apr 2012, 17:16
Oh right, well how are the loads for Malta like ?

tigger2k8
17th Apr 2012, 17:46
Dont suppose anyone has stats for the domestic routes?

BFS101
17th Apr 2012, 19:31
Find all the information here -

UK Airport Provisional Statistics: 2012 - 03 | Aviation Intelligence | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=80&pagetype=88&sglid=11&fld=201203)

Provisional statistics published on-line about this time every month.

PPRuNeUser0176
17th Apr 2012, 21:27
ALC only up due to AerLingus and Easyjet both operating the route for the month. Previous year Easyjet had the winter market to themselves.

WW started at the end of the month so that's not really of big significance to ALC Route.

Jet 2 alsso resumed it late March at 3 weekly.
It will now operate 3 weekly up until 18 November istend of the planned 27 October.

Should there be concern for EWR flights down 15% and thats with the APD reduction.

yeo valley
18th Apr 2012, 06:54
the ewr route could be dependent what the loads up the front are like. also if much freight is carried.

mutleyshriek
19th Apr 2012, 05:26
EasyJet to commence Belfast International to Birmingham oct 22nd.Twice daily mon to fri and once daily weekend.

BHD2BFS
19th Apr 2012, 07:53
Good news. All we need now is a route to east mids and Cardiff to replace all of those lost by the move of baby. Maybe easy has stepped in now as baby don't have a winter schedule yet

elle may clampit
19th Apr 2012, 07:54
I see that easy are also adding an additional daily flight to th MAN service but I'm not sure when it starts.

sarcon
19th Apr 2012, 07:59
I believe the MAN frequency is only being increased on certain days, Mon Thur and Fri . The 320 will be operating to key sun destinations this summer.

chaps2011
19th Apr 2012, 08:05
Yes from November

Ian

Mlinnie
19th Apr 2012, 16:12
This is fantastic news regarding the new Birmingham route ! Although I think easyjet now need to think of new international routes for 2013. What are the chances that Easyjet will relaunch Rome and Berlin ?

Mlinnie
21st Apr 2012, 22:02
Why is there a Monarch a321 coming into BFS tonight ? I noticed it on flightradar24

keep_er_lit
24th Apr 2012, 10:16
Seen monarch on the RAF side of the airport one night a few weeks ago. Maybe it's taking the soldiers somewhere

EI-BUD
26th Apr 2012, 09:13
Yes......beyond Europe...a true Long Haul.

Eastern, I have to say very impressed, you brought us this rumour that looks to be accurate! Belfast Telegraph has it today. Etihad to Abu Dhabi!!

EI-BUD

tigger2k8
26th Apr 2012, 09:26
Is the article online yet EI-BUD? Hope this definitely happens, went over that direction about 10 years ago, would love to see what it's like now.

If I am thinking right, this route will have the reduced APD?

Booyaaka
26th Apr 2012, 10:26
Brought to you by the same newspaper that trumpeted the "soon-to-be launched" German routes from Belfast City Airport this summer. This reminds me of the old joke that there were more ships built on the front page of the Belfast Telegraph than in the shipyard!

EI-BUD
26th Apr 2012, 12:22
Yes tigger2K8, the article makes specific reference to reduced APD! I am surprised the forum has not been all over it earlier this morning!

EI-A330-300
26th Apr 2012, 12:45
Eastern, I have to say very impressed, you brought us this rumour that looks to be accurate! Belfast Telegraph has it today. Etihad to Abu Dhabi!!

Editor's Viewpoint: New air link is our runway to success - Editors Viewpoint, Opinion - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/viewpoint/new-air-link-is-our-runway-to-success-16150147.html)

From my reading of the above link the only reason Abu Dhabi is there is because it is the capital of the UAE and then you assumed it was EY to Abu Dhabi.

EI-BUD
26th Apr 2012, 12:53
you assumed it was EY to Abu Dhabi

Hi 'EI-330-300', I didnt assume anything, the front page of the local paper has it in clear print today. Etihad and Abu Dhabi.

BFS BHD
26th Apr 2012, 21:01
Anyone else seen the Hi Fly A340 at BFS yesterday and today parked over at RAF side at BFS. Still parked over at DA2 apron.

skyways1452
26th Apr 2012, 21:14
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/editorial/p1Images/today_big.jpg

BFS101
26th Apr 2012, 23:04
Thomson Holidays have released their summer 2013 brochure. Nothing new from Belfast. Currently the initial operation mirrors the summer 2012, with no new destinations or frequency increases.

Thomas Cook have also released summer 2013, but with their flight tables it's hard to assess flight details. At a quick glance it would appear that there are no new destinations, and Egypt and Tunisia are not making a comeback. Florida is also absent, so unless we get a few token gesture peak season flights added in the future. With vastly reduced APD tax, I thought Florida could make a season long return, though would appear not!!

Mlinnie
28th Apr 2012, 10:24
Executive ministers are negotiating a second long-haul link to North America, this time to Toronto in Canada.

Air Transit and Air Canada are possible candidates to fly the route and a decision may come as early as July.

Currently our only long-haul flight is from the international airport to Newark, near New York, but yesterday the Belfast Telegraph reported that a link to Abu Dhabi was in prospect and had been discussed.

Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster has now revealed that the Abu Dhabi route to the oil-rich United Arab Emirates is only one of the long-haul airline destinations she is hoping to secure for Belfast International Airport in the near future.

“I would like to see the re-introduction of a direct service to Canada and I am also keen to improve connectivity to markets such as India and China,” she said.

Belfast International Airport’s business development |director Uel Hoey said: “Canada is a key source market for Northern Ireland and we have been working for some time to restore a Belfast-Toronto service.”

He added: “We are talking to a number of airlines, but for reasons of commercial confidentiality, we are not in a position to mention them by name.

“Canada offers colossal tourism potential and, alongside the devolved administration, we are striving to make this important breakthrough.”

He pointed out that the route has been profitable before and that demand is established, with strong business, leisure and family links.

“In that context, it’s worth remembering that two thirds of the four and a half million Canadian citizens claiming Irish roots trace their ancestry back to Ulster,” he said.

The Belfast to Toronto transatlantic route was previously operated by Zoom Airways, a Scottish company which ceased trading in 2008, and Globespan, which went out of business in 2009. Before that it was operated by Air Canada.

A spokesman also said that the airport is “aware of and fully supports the comments of the Minister for Enterprise Trade and Investment and the chief executive of Invest NI” about a route to Abu Dhabi.

“A west-east link opens new tourism and business opportunities and we are delighted to see that what we’ve been campaigning on for some time has been embraced by government.

“The decision on Air Passenger Duty (APD) is opening doors for Northern Ireland.

“Collectively, we must ensure that the advantage it gives us is fully exploited for the local economy,” he added.

flying officer kite
28th Apr 2012, 11:32
Zoom a Scottish airline? Did i miss something? Or is this in par with the Belfast Telegraphs usual record for accuracy on facts?

CabinCrewe
28th Apr 2012, 14:31
I think the reference is to the Boyles, who owned the airline and were Scottish.

GayFriendly
28th Apr 2012, 14:42
Before that it was operated by Air Canada

I have absolutely no recollection of AC ever operating to BFS? Please correct me if I am wrong!

Not related to this topic but did BWIA ever fly from BFS, I vaguely recall them hoping to do scheduled flights from MAN, BFS and PIK using Tristars to the Caribbean back in the 90's?

Abu Dhabi - given the success of EY and EK out of DUB maybe this is possible from BFS, but would EY realistically operate from both airports or is it that they are looking to decamp to BFS and let EK take over at DUB? Interesting.

BFS101
28th Apr 2012, 15:00
BWIA had flights on-sale BFS - POS, with the flight originating in MAN, using an A340. Falcon Holidays actually printed a dedicated brochure for the destination. Unfortunately in the end I think only about three flights ever operated, back in March / April 2005.

Belfast has had a long history with Canadian flights. Air Canada operated the L1011 and the B747 into Belfast, serving both Vancouver and Toronto.

Other operators have included, off the top of my head, Air Club International, Canada 3000, Worldways, Zoom, Globespan, Air Transat and Skyservice.

Mlinnie
28th Apr 2012, 15:56
I doubt that Etihad would pull out from Dublin if it started services to Belfast were The taxes are higher. I can see Etihad serving both Dublin & Belfast. Etihad wouldn't leave Dublin see as how it has a sponsorship with GAA there and Etihad are increasing their presence in The Republic. Etihad Dublin-Abu Dhabi is still performing exceptionally well now that it has competition with Emirates to Dubai.

PPRuNeUser0176
28th Apr 2012, 16:11
Abu Dhabi - given the success of EY and EK out of DUB maybe this is possible from BFS, but would EY realistically operate from both airports or is it that they are looking to decamp to BFS and let EK take over at DUB? Interesting.

Not a chance of them leaving DUB. If they did they would be closing there maintance base and lose a good customer base. Quiet a lot of people feel that it will be upgraded to a B777 at some time in the short term and then EY have already confirmed plans to fly there B787 from 2014.

If they start BFS it will most lightly be A330 at 4 weekly like they did when they started at DUB. There is room for both airports but DUB will win hands down on price which may still draw passengers from NI to DUB.

TBH I don't see BFS happening but you never know...Canada has a higher chance in my book.

Jack1985
28th Apr 2012, 19:54
TBH I don't see BFS happening but you never know...Canada has a higher chance in my book.

I second that.

EI-BUD
28th Apr 2012, 20:37
All I know is the country(alleged). That it will be a twice monthly
charter......and the equipment is an Airbus 330 or 340

If they start BFS it will most lightly be A330 at 4 weekly like they did when
they started at DUB

Eastern Wiseguy was the 1st person to bring us a whisper of this potential new route, though it was rumour there was substance. He said as above the rumour was twice a month.

My fear is that 330 is too big, they will be after Australia, NZ, Thailand Asia market, though Abu DHabi is a good crossroad for African points too. I cant see them working at more than at most 1 to 2 rotations per week.

I would also agree that Toronto must surely be a bigger opportunity for passenger numbers given the links between NI and Canada.

The upside of getting Etihad in is that it is owned and funded by UAE government, so as a competitive advantage over Emirates at Dublin, Etihad may want to have a second airport available to people on the Island. They have built the Dublin Abu DHabi route up and Emirates have come in too now, providing competition, so BFS may be another string to their bow, so if they commit, they will stick around, they think long term and have very deep pockets.

AirCananda, I read that they flew to BFS in 80s/90s, never did see it with my own eyes but remember reading of it, saw pictures also. I think it may have been a charter. AC did Dublin charters in the 1990s also, did see those coming in on a saturday, with 747-200.

EI-BUD

jonnyc
29th Apr 2012, 12:57
I remember seeing Canada 3000 a good few years back - that brings back memories. It would be great to see a Canadian route again. Where did the Air Transat A310 fly to when it was last at BFS - was it a Toronto route?

Just as I thought back to some of the old operators I always recall the American Trans Air (Tristar?) that used to always be parked on 27. I can't remember the route but always remember it coming in.That must be a fair while ago now.

Another_Dude
29th Apr 2012, 17:09
Anyone know what the story is regarding stands 16 & 17 (I think). There were 2 Airbuses parked beside each other, and what looked like another Taxi Line between them. Have they created a new stand like 25A & 26A. Also seem closer to the building?

tigger2k8
29th Apr 2012, 20:00
My guess is that with the potential new long haul routes they are being proactive and looking at stands for wide bodies. The area of 16/17 is the last real suitable place that a widebody could park that hasn't been marked out already. And yes the stands were to be moved closer, less of a walk for PAX, by how much I don't know

Straightahead
29th Apr 2012, 20:38
Plenty of room on the international pier for wide bodied aircraft,st21,22,25A,27A.I think it could be something to do with a new airbridge to welcome back an old customer.Answers on a postcard please,

keep_er_lit
29th Apr 2012, 21:08
Stand 16 has been enlarged to park B757 sized aircraft and a new stand 16a has been built to facilitate wider bodied aircraft aswell.

david1994
29th Apr 2012, 21:08
Only widebody stands is 22 and 25/27A. Stand 21 is only suitable for max size of A321.

Mlinnie
30th Apr 2012, 18:28
What are the charter routes like this year ? what destinations ? Frequency ? What aircraft will Thomson and Thomas Cook be basing this summer ? a321 ? 757 ?

CabinCrewe
30th Apr 2012, 18:58
I wouldnt read too much into that given the shift in the fleet to 737's

SecondDog
1st May 2012, 14:18
Anyone else seen the Hi Fly A340 at BFS yesterday and today parked over at RAF side at BFS. Still parked over at DA2 apron

Yeah I saw that, then they had a 330 and a Tristar parked over there the other day.

EGAC is Better
1st May 2012, 15:13
What are the chances of Etihad being allowed to operate BFS-YYZ? A single aircraft with small BFS crew base could operate AUH-BFS-YYZ-BFS-AUH.

Gives a sweetener to Etihad in that we already know there is demand for a Canadian route that would help offset any initial loss of operating BFS-AUH. If I calculate right this arrangement would allow 3 weekly to AUH and 3 weekly to YYZ??

Kind of a win-win for all involved.

MarkD
2nd May 2012, 03:23
There is an ongoing dispute between Canada and UAE (the reason why EK switched a 380 onto the route to maximise the 3 weekly allocation) so the chances of a BFS-YYZ by Etihad seems remote.

flying officer kite
2nd May 2012, 11:00
cant see it happening, though in the past Canada 3000 operated YYZ-BFS-BCN, and i think they could sell seats on the Barcelona leg from here too

tigger2k8
3rd May 2012, 11:38
I see EZY has joined the bandwagon of the rugby flights, one extra flight from LGW to BFS the day after the match, with possibilities of more..

Also i see BD 83 is departing from BFS, anyone know the reason for this?

dog in park
3rd May 2012, 12:19
low cloud base at city. Said 200 but was lower at one stage going by cranes. bbq weather now:ok:

Aaron9890
4th May 2012, 00:20
Does anyone know whats up with OLT express starting a number of routes from the UK to Bydgoszcz Ignacy Jan Paderewski Airport. At first i thought it was for the EURO 2012 Finals but it dosent start until october. Can't see how money will be made from flights to an unknown Polish city, perhaps they will start a route from BFS.. :L

Fairdealfrank
4th May 2012, 00:47
Quote: "What are the chances of Etihad being allowed to operate BFS-YYZ? A single aircraft with small BFS crew base could operate AUH-BFS-YYZ-BFS-AUH."

Nil. Perhaps a UK and/or a Canadian carrier could do it, but not a UAE one.

tigger2k8
4th May 2012, 08:07
You would be surprised, For the amount of Polish people in N.I the country is not served as much as it should be, we were at one stage able to support 3x week to KRK, as well as the Wizz flights, obviously Wizz couldnt make it viable enough but I'm still shocked at EZY don't have a daily flight to KRK.. But in saying that there are a lot of routes EZY should be doing, but don't

SecondDog
4th May 2012, 15:39
But in saying that there are a lot of routes EZY should be doing, but don't

Like Madrid, can't believe there isn't a Belfast Madrid Route
Also Something to the Baltic Region would be viable.

Arthur1975
4th May 2012, 17:35
OLT Express
Brand new and fresh polish Airline. They went on polish market with very Big Bang:O

BHD2BFS
4th May 2012, 17:47
Sorry Arthur, your point being?

Arthur1975
4th May 2012, 17:55
Reply to Aaron9890

BHD2BFS
4th May 2012, 18:25
Quite surprised jet2 haven't announced an EMA route yet. Baby load factors where good on the route so there is demand

Charlie Roy
4th May 2012, 21:32
Does anyone know whats up with OLT express starting a number of routes from the UK to Bydgoszcz Ignacy Jan Paderewski Airport.

Great analysis here:
OLT Express announces daring European expansion; raises stakes in Warsaw | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2012/04/26/olt-express-announces-daring-european-expansion/)

Mlinnie
8th May 2012, 12:02
With the announcement of Bmi baby at BHD, what are the odds that Jet2 move their entire operations from BFS to BHD ?

EI-BUD
8th May 2012, 12:07
With the announcement of Bmi baby at BHD, what are the odds that Jet2 move their entire operations from BFS to BHD ?

None. Royal Mail contract at BFS and QC aircraft makes the scheduled and maol contract inextricably linked. Unless Jet2 lost the contract for mail, I wont happen.

EI-BUD

tigger2k8
8th May 2012, 12:09
They wont move their entire operation, however they could operate AMS / GVA / LBA for BHD once the current summer schedule is over. Cargo commitments restrict an entire move in my opinion

edit - i see EI-BUD has quicker fingers than me

BHD2BFS
8th May 2012, 12:17
I thought jet2 wold have announced ema, but they mustn't be interested

BHD2BFS
8th May 2012, 18:04
anybody know why there is a TNT on the arrivals board for tomorrow morning?

tigger2k8
8th May 2012, 18:08
anybody know why there is a TNT on the arrivals board for tomorrow morning?

It'll be gone soon, probably has been edited or entered into the FMS in the wrong way.

BHD2BFS
8th May 2012, 18:15
ok, tigger2k8 do you know what the type of regular ac there are on cargo on a regular night

tigger2k8
8th May 2012, 18:27
The last i can remember these are the ones that depart each night, apart from weekends and some do not operate on public holidays.

Titan 146 - (royal mail)
Jet 2 - 737-300 QC - (royal mail)
Maersk - 767
DHL - 767 or A300, cannot remember
TNT - Used to be a 767 although i think this has changed to the A300
Various other small props, i think the fedex flight is the EMB120

Aaron9890
8th May 2012, 22:46
UK weather: Holiday bookings soar 40% as Britons escape the wet weather | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2141206/UK-weather-Holiday-bookings-soar-40-Britons-escape-wet-weather.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

Hopefully this will increase pax numbers for Belfast this year ...

AIRPORT66
9th May 2012, 11:01
Went on the AerLingus website to check flights to TFS in november flights are not available have these flights been taken off or just not in the system yet?

david1994
9th May 2012, 11:12
They haven't released their winter schedule yet

EI-BUD
9th May 2012, 14:37
I would guess that Aer Lingus winter timetables will appear after the BA update on the bmi integration on the 11th, this Friday!!!

EI-BUD

BHD2BFS
9th May 2012, 14:49
Hopefully well see a route launched with the timetable, surely Rome is a profitable one and we must be the only region in the uk that doesn't have any flights to Prague, I think EI is a great airline ad love flying with them but every year their operations just seem to get smaller and smaller from BFS

Mlinnie
10th May 2012, 16:45
Let's hope we see Rome back, Faro made year round and new routes Berlin or Madrid :)

dog in park
10th May 2012, 17:10
maybe from BHD? EI may go dual base then down to BHD full time W12.

BANDIT12
10th May 2012, 17:33
Oh Dog, you are a tease. I was always taught don't tease the dog not the other way round:O

Jamie2k9
10th May 2012, 21:51
Aer Lingus plan to release there winter schedules during the coming week.

BHD2BFS
12th May 2012, 22:30
Was collecting a friend from the airport and all the EU arrivals just seem to be palma, Malaga, faro over and over again, is the NI public really that unadventurous that we need 3/4 airlines flying to the same place

NorthernCounties
13th May 2012, 09:47
is the NI public really that unadventurous that we need 3/4 airlines flying to the same place

Yes the public really are that unadventurous!

david1994
13th May 2012, 11:22
They obvously like these places cos there is no demand for Turkey, Cyprus etc

At the minute the number of airlines flying to the popular ones are:

ALC - 4 (EIN, EXS, EZY, TCX)
AGP - 3 (EIN, EZY, TOM)
FAO - 4 (EZY, EXS, EIN, TOM)
TFS - 3 (EIN, TCX, TOM)
PMI - 5 (AEA, TCX, TOM, EZY, EXS)
IBZ - 4 (TCX, TOM, EZY, EXS)

Most flights according to the system are nearly always atleast 90% full.

AIRPORT66
13th May 2012, 14:00
The brochures for 2013 are out same boreing destinations as past few years think its time new destinations and plus some of the old favourites were brought back.

BHD2BFS
13th May 2012, 14:02
What ever happened to the rumors about Etihad a few week ago? All very quiet now. I have a feeling that BFS management is just full of hot air?

tigger2k8
13th May 2012, 18:14
I believe it is Arelene Foster who is trying to establish these links, I think we will hear of Toronto before anything else

SecondDog
13th May 2012, 18:25
I believe it is Arelene Foster who is trying to establish these links, I think we will hear of Toronto before anything else

Seems they've been trying to get Toronto back forever, it used to be one or two carriers full for 6 months a year and now they don't have any? Just doesn't make sense, Dublin must just be killing them!

tigger2k8
13th May 2012, 18:43
They have been trying since the fall of GSM and Zoom, but this is the first time they had help and backing from our local government. Fingers crossed they manage it.

EI-BUD
14th May 2012, 06:26
What's the story with BFS MAN BFS (EZY) this morning being cancelled? Anybody know?

EI-BUD

Alan45
14th May 2012, 09:02
What is the normal taxi speed at Aldergrove. I was on the Jet 2 flight to PMI last Saturday. We were about 10 mins late leaving the stand and the pilot seemed to be determined to make up time on the taxiways. Normally this is a leisurely journey up to the runway but it seemed rather hasty. He didn't even appear to slow down to make the turns. Not complaint, just enquiring.

Straightahead
14th May 2012, 10:46
GEZFO is tech Man pax rerouted on LPL flights

BHD2BFS
14th May 2012, 22:44
Was just thinking, now that BMI has left NI, there is a gap left for a star alliance member to move in. We have united airlines that is a member so that helps connect us to the US for connecting flight. But I have seen myself that most people travelling to LHR on BMI where connecting to a member airline, meaning that airlines are now going to miss out on pax now that we are now kind of being forced to fly with BA and One world. Would LH not be interested in starting up a German route to help connecting passengers.

BFS101
16th May 2012, 20:35
Some interesting CAA stats, wont post them all, you can see for yourself.

UK Airport Provisional Statistics: 2012 - 04 | Aviation Intelligence | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=80&pagetype=88&sglid=11&fld=201204)
EWR -36% (reduction in frequency??)
LHR -21% from BFS, yet +8% at BHD

tigger2k8
16th May 2012, 20:47
Not sure about reduction in EWR frequency, but last year I believed LHR from BFS was x4 per day shortly after the civil service contract?

Charlie Roy
17th May 2012, 12:14
Was just thinking, now that BMI has left NI, there is a gap left for a star alliance member to move in.

Brussels Airlines Belfast - Brussels :ok:
But highly unlikely as this airline is currently contracting, and not adding new routes.

mutleyshriek
17th May 2012, 12:17
From what ive just heard 2 new routes in the pipeline from Ezy.Cant say at the minute soz.

BHD2BFS
17th May 2012, 12:30
Hate to sound negative but we have all heard that about 5 times in the last 12months

EI-BUD
17th May 2012, 12:31
Since EI havent released winter schedule, and since it looks like Rome is gone, I was thinking would EI now having 319s (although prob still a bit big) consider x 2/3 weekly Belfast Brussels, Cork was added from Brussels recently and maybe it may be a reference point, i would be delighted, and its also not as long a sector say at Milan or Rome...

EI-BUD

mutleyshriek
17th May 2012, 12:47
BHD2BFS,When I said that 4 routes would come many months ago,2 returning and 2 new,Within a few days London Luton and Manchester were announced.Then London Southend was announced shortly after and now Birmingham.All that I said has now happened.The next 2 I cant reveal because of business sensitivity.Just watch this space.

EI-BUD
17th May 2012, 12:55
Jet2 have been entering EZY routes again in the last year e.g. ALC, FAO. The previous time that Jet2 decided to join EZY on a route ex BFS was to one of the sun spots might have been previous attempt on FAO or Malaga.

In response EZY entered Venice, Prague and Barcelona. Wouldnt surprise me if Easyjet go onto Dubrovnik and Murcia in particular....?

Outside of that the Canaries still the shiningly obvious routes not served with year round demand....

EI-BUD

mutleyshriek
17th May 2012, 13:02
EI-BUD it aint any of them two mate.

BHD2BFS
17th May 2012, 13:08
Anybody know why the ezy faro has been cx today?

BFS101
17th May 2012, 13:14
Mutley, are these going to be brand new destinations for BFS, or reinstating perviously served destinations??? Berlin, Rome??? Any idea when these will be finalised and announced??

mutleyshriek
17th May 2012, 13:27
BFS101,I really cant say mate as ive been told not to reveal anything.I am a a member of my airines business council forum so I get the heads up but your all gonna be plesantly surprised .Enough said for now.I told you all in the past four routes and its happened now.Bear with me matey.

david1994
17th May 2012, 13:30
BHD2BFS - FAO Cancelled due to a controller strike

BFS101 - EZY has info about this posted on their employee site "inside.easyjet.com" and they are making the right decisions regarding these routes, ill send you a PM :ok:

CARNMANORLAD
17th May 2012, 18:59
Can we expect the 2 new EZY routes to be started for the Winter season? Currently looking at my Winter destinations options for December. Done all the current BFS offerings in previous years and am currently considering Frankfurt with Lufthansa from DUB.

mutleyshriek
17th May 2012, 19:28
Pan,I see you have infested the BFS thread with your bitter comments without substance.Do one cause youre not welcome here.Two words for you Total and ********.Now put them together,then **** off.

Mlinnie
17th May 2012, 19:35
Well I would personally like to see Berlin (2 weekly) Rome (2 weekly) & or Madrid (3 weekly) :) just to give the airport a bit of variety ! But PLEASE no more bucket and spade routes !

Aaron9890
17th May 2012, 20:08
Yeah i can see EZY doing MAD. Not sure what the other one will be, perhaps LPA???

NorthernCounties
17th May 2012, 20:15
Mutley, could you at least tell us whether they're bucket and spade routes?

BHD2BFS
17th May 2012, 20:21
Maybe ema?

BFS101
17th May 2012, 21:15
I often think Lisbon would be a good summer only route from BFS, a bit like NCE, were it ticks the city-break box, and with Estoril and Cascais down the coast, also the bucket and spade box. Plus Northern Irish folk seem to love anything from the Iberian Peninsula and Spanish Islands. Madrid also in that respect.

A previous poster had mentioned EZY to the Canaries. EI seem to do well on these routes, and prices seem far from unreasonable. While competition is generally good, I'd hate to see EZY enter that fairly established market now, when we already have competition in respect of EI vs the charters vs other sun destinations. Any fall in EI numbers to the canaries could really upset their aircraft utilization at Belfast, esp during the winter months when I would imagine these routes are the cash cows. I'd hate to see BFS down to one and a half based units, or just LHR with a based unit, and the rest W flights during the winter.

tigger2k8
17th May 2012, 23:22
Keep it friendly, we dont want to see this thread locked or anyone banned over such nonsense..

dog in park
18th May 2012, 18:16
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18116303

eastern wiseguy
18th May 2012, 19:26
I have to ask what your "too much broth....."comment means.

There was an incident. It was investigated by the regulatory authority. Problems were noted and corrective action will be taken. That's what happens in an investigative process.

The above comments are entirely mine and should not be construed in any other way

dog in park
18th May 2012, 22:08
Sorry wise guy. Cut and paste error. Was saying about how it took two reporters (cooks)on lunchtime news to report story. big logo on screen and lots of tuts and hums. Was not and did not mean to stir pot with you at all just wound up and went boing!I understand the role of the AAIB and did not comment on any of that. I did read report before posting and pasted over comment in error. sorry. friends?:sad:

SecondDog
19th May 2012, 11:02
I have to ask what your "too much broth....."comment means.

There was an incident. It was investigated by the regulatory authority. Problems were noted and corrective action will be taken. That's what happens in an investigative process.

The above comments are entirely mine and should not be construed in any other way

TOO MUCH BROTH NOT ENOUGH COOKS?
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18116303

I'm just amazed the BBC managed to report on something from BFS rather than BHD, suppose it had to be a negative story to get them up the road from their favourite airport. :rolleyes:

Aaron9890
19th May 2012, 11:38
Hey guys i am going to book a caravan holiday with al fresoco for southern France. I was looking at flights from BFS to NCE and thought they where a bit pricy (being June i expected this). Would it be easier and cheaper to fly to BCN and go over the border or should i think about traveling from DUB???

Anybody who has an idea or has done this before please tell me what you think.. thanks.

Mlinnie
19th May 2012, 22:41
Why is there such a long delay on the Jet2 flight inbound from Murcia ?

Fairdealfrank
20th May 2012, 01:41
Quote:
"Best way to travel to France
Hey guys i am going to book a caravan holiday with al fresoco for southern France. I was looking at flights from BFS to NCE and thought they where a bit pricy (being June i expected this). Would it be easier and cheaper to fly to BCN and go over the border or should i think about traveling from DUB???

Anybody who has an idea or has done this before please tell me what you think.. thanks."

Would definitely not head for BCN if your final destination is near NCE!
A change of plane between BFS/BHD and NCE would be easier if neccessary. BCN is a long way from NCE, MRS would be nearer if you couldn't get to NCE.

david1994
20th May 2012, 19:01
Why is there such a long delay on the Jet2 flight inbound from Murcia ? The aircraft (G-CELV) departed Murcia, climbed to FL120 developed pressurization problems, declared an emergency and landed back in Murcia. The flight was the cancelled until today and operated as LS378A after a replacement aircraft (G-CELZ) was flown into Murcia. Pax + Crew was transported to overnight hotels in nearby Alicante.

sealink
21st May 2012, 16:08
As a kid my family would holiday in Portugal. Flying to FAO. Travelled on one trip with InterEuropean Airways and another AirAtlantis.... great memories. Can still remember InterEuropean serving me my first experience of an airline fry up. Another trip to LCA we travelled with Caledonian. Think we were on a Tristar? Again as a kid it was amazing !!

Mlinnie
21st May 2012, 18:09
Is anyone not happy (as I am) with the proposed move of all Aer Lingus' operations from BFS to BHD ?

Jack1985
21st May 2012, 18:48
proposed move of all Aer Lingus' operations from BFS to BHD ?

Aer Lingus have proposed nothing about their operations at BFS. They have had no comments on recent market developments in NI and they will keep it that way until an announcement is made which will either see;

A) Major Expansion at BFS with extra LHR flights
B) Moving all operations to BHD with expansion to LHR
C) No change at all.

I don't buy the option of serving new BHD-LHR flights while retaining the current BFS-LHR flights. Aer Lingus would much prefer to consolidate operations at one airport.

NWSRG
21st May 2012, 19:24

Aaron,

The luggage allowances on Easy probably won't stretch to a caravan...it would certainly be a tight fit too...:E

Mlinnie
21st May 2012, 20:50
But why have they not released their winter schedule for BFS yet ?

BHD2BFS
21st May 2012, 20:55
3 possible reasons:
1 they are moving to BHD
2 they are expanding and finalising routes at the min
3 they are just a bit behind and all is normal

BFS101
21st May 2012, 21:42
If the issue to be confirmed is LHR and the BA situation, is it not slightly strange that it's only the LHR flights that are on sale for winter. Why not wait with all destinations, rather than have people book Heathrow, with the potential to later have to tell them they're flying from a different airport, or a rearrangement of schedules.

Besides the BA codeshare, not sure the percentage of EI passengers that are connecting onwards with BA, is LHR not a more late booking market compared to the sun destinations, as a city break and business destination. Therefore EI are loosing more business by holding off the European destinations, than had they held off putting LHR on-sale for the winter???

BHD2BFS
21st May 2012, 21:51
There is obviously something going on behind closed doors

tigger2k8
21st May 2012, 23:45
There is obviously something going on behind closed doors

Yes EI trying to get the best deal out of BFS, i believe BFS will offer a deal EI cant resist, i can't imagine that management would want to suffer the embarrassment of another carrier venturing down the road..

BFS suits EI too well, moving to BHD would be a big gamble... we all know what happens to slots when the usual summer strikes kick in over Europe...

AIRPORT66
22nd May 2012, 17:43
AerLingus have not relesed there winter schedule maybe because they are trying to work out what to do,after last winter flights to ALC,FCO loads were really bad some days you had only about 20pax.

johnrizzo2000
22nd May 2012, 19:06
If loads were very low last winter, I'd guess that EI are looking at whether or not to operate the sun routes this winter. It may be more cost effective to only operate BFS-LHR

BFS101
22nd May 2012, 20:37
I'd say the Canaries are a good income source through the winter for EI also, and as only one Canary destination can be realistically operated per day, the question is what to do with the aircraft rather than sitting at BFS. Couldn't see EI only serving LHR during the winter. Would say the Canaries are fairly safe.

vectors
22nd May 2012, 20:44
Hi everyone, just a quick question, does anyone know is the Sunwing 737-800 from Toronto that has just arrived a special 1 off charter?
What is its next destination? Thanks :confused:

BFS101
22nd May 2012, 20:51
It operates as TOM during the summer, on behalf of Thomson / First Choice / Falcon. Hopefully in TOM colours!!

vectors
22nd May 2012, 21:07
Thanks, is this going to be a regular flight or a 1 off? Does anyone know were it's off to next, there's nothing up on the dept board?

keep_er_lit
22nd May 2012, 21:26
I know that last year the sunwing aircraft operated out of bfs the whole summer...id say it would be the same this year

BFS101
22nd May 2012, 21:37
Think the first flight is this Thursday to Faro. Then it will visit, ACE, REU, TFS, PLM, LPA, AGP, BJV, DLM, BOJ, MAH and IBZ. This will continue through to last September / early October depending on destination.

vectors
22nd May 2012, 21:46

True Blue
22nd May 2012, 22:36
All this panic about the EI winter flights not on sale yet. Am I right in thinking that Cork has only just been released?

TB

CARNMANORLAD
24th May 2012, 13:58
Can anyone confirm or deny that the 2 new EZY routes will be an Italian destination and Gibraltar?

BHD2BFS
24th May 2012, 14:55
Carnmanorlad do you have a source? Personally I would like to see a cyprus or canary route by easy but anything is good news :cool:

Mlinnie
24th May 2012, 17:07
I'd love to see Rome & Berlin back and maybe Madrid

CCR
24th May 2012, 22:23
You're right TB, Cork winter schedule was released this week, together with Dublin and Shannon..strange that they didn't release it for BFS..let's see what happens:suspect:

Mlinnie
27th May 2012, 15:19
Yes also the flights from Waterford to Luton, Southend and Manchester are also not up yet

CCR
28th May 2012, 12:34
The flights from Waterford airport are operated by Aer Arann. They are just branded as Aer Lingus Regional.

BHD2BFS
29th May 2012, 20:48
Any more news on the 2 new easyjet routes someone said on here a few week ago. Anyone know what they are going to be?

The Sham
29th May 2012, 23:19
Just using the easyjet app for the iPhone and when choosing a destination in the drop down if gives you Verona and Brescia as destinations from Belfast??? It is only on the app mind you, as I checked the regular Internet site and it doesn't have these choices.........

BHD2BFS
30th May 2012, 09:43
They are charter flights

The Sham
30th May 2012, 10:41
That would explain it!!

dpconlan2011
30th May 2012, 11:54
Just looking at half term holidays for Oct 12 between LHR-BHD/BFS . BA (redirected through bmi) is coming up at £268 one way leading to an incredible £536 return, Aer Lingus to BFS £109 all in.

Any ideas why pricing structure may be so high with BA/bmi?

JonnyBfs
30th May 2012, 13:11
I noticed the pricing issue too mate. However, when I went on the day after it was down to a normal price - try again tomorrow!

As to the reason, haven't got a clue?

Mlinnie
30th May 2012, 15:31
It Says on Wikipedia Belfast-Reus beginning 27th May next year, it's also up for booking on the jet2 website going every monday... Another bucket and spade route what more could you ask for ?

BHD2BFS
30th May 2012, 16:20
Well at least it's something, don't think we have had a scheduled flight to reus before

LBIA
30th May 2012, 16:58
Yep Jet2 will be operating a once weekly Belfast – Reus service next summer 2013. Flights will operate on Mondays with the service commencing from May 27th and running until September 16th.

LS304 = Belfast Int’l 15:05 - Reus 18:45
LS305 = Reus 19:20 - Belfast Int’l 21:05

BHD2BFS
30th May 2012, 17:00
Still don't understand how a Greek or Cypriot isn't attractive to any airlines especially Jet2

Mlinnie
30th May 2012, 18:46
Well at least we know now that Jet2 aren't moving to BHD :ok:

BHD2BFS
30th May 2012, 18:53
Also thought jet2 would have launched an EMA route by now. There is definitely a market especially with the departure of baby and they could easily steal some flybe pax

Mlinnie
30th May 2012, 21:25
Well I'd say they'll see how Easyjet do with Birmingham first :ok:

BHD2BFS
30th May 2012, 21:42
I would say more that if easy do well at BHX they'll start EMA themselves

NWSRG
30th May 2012, 23:03
Returned on the evening flight from Gatwick tonight...we had a 25 minute delay, which was apparently due to radar problems at Aldergrove. The pilot announced that all approaches were being flown "to procedures" and that delays were the result.

Fostex
31st May 2012, 06:53
NOTAM'ed

A1370/12 (http://www.notaminfo.com/localarea?notam=58627): Belfast Aldergrove: Approach control service (APP) limitation

Q) EGPX/QSPLT/IV/BO/A/000/999/5439N00613W005 (http://www.notaminfo.com/explain?id=58627)
RADAR U/S. PROCEDURAL SER ONLY AVBL WITH INCREASED SEPARATION WHICH
MAY CAUSE DELAYS AND REQUIRE HOLDINGFROM:30 May 2012 17:11 GMT (18:11 BST)TO:30 May 2012 23:59 GMT (31 May 00:59 BST)

tonyic7
31st May 2012, 06:56
If I remember rightly I think there was a NOTAM the other day saying work on the radar, possibly Temp U/S. (?) If the flight was late at night, should have been able to self position for a 10 mile final, however, if ATC wanted the procedure flown it will add a few minutes, not 25 though.

tigger2k8
31st May 2012, 08:56
A friend was flying out to LTN round half 5 last night, he said they sat for 20-25mins before pushing back, at that time of day there are quite a few arrivals and departures, so my guess is that the initial time it takes to start the procedures alongside the busy part of the day caused a longer delay to all flights than you would expect.

ara01jbb
31st May 2012, 10:18
Sounds like quite a fluid situation, as heard by one passenger on EZY185 last night:

Audioboo / First the bad news, then the good news @easyjet EZY185 announcement (http://audioboo.fm/boos/825818-first-the-bad-news-then-the-good-news-easyjet-ezy185-announcement)

eastern wiseguy
31st May 2012, 21:17
Tonyic7

should have been able to self position for a 10 mile final,

No. It requires to be radar monitored to self position to a 10 mile final. If radar is unavailable ...then (on 25) it's the 14 dme arc or in to the BEL for the full procedure (OY may be an option)

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-4BD94D77610F3FAAB529DC08576E03AB/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGAA_8-8_en_2011-10-20.pdf

If you are the only aircraft in the TMA then you may just have the delay extended by a few minutes, if however ,you are number two or three then that delay may extend substantially.Three aircraft arriving simultaneously could mean the EAT'S(expected approach times) being issued with up to 20 minutes total delay with the lowest being first(if that happens to be a slow turboprop type then the EAT's are recalculated and they WILL increase).

Aaron9890
31st May 2012, 23:59
It Says on Wikipedia Belfast-Reus beginning 27th May next year, it's also up for booking on the jet2 website going every monday... Another bucket and spade route what more could you ask for ?

Saw that as well when booking a holiday for the end of June. I think it will work well as it isn't through a package holiday, so people can make their own way there without spending too much going on TCX or TOM. I noticed as well that a lot of the flights have been booked out for TOM and TCX this year which is promising and Florida is back on Thomas Cook's site...

On a different note;

Whats happened to all these new route rumours from BFS??

There where rumours bout Etihad starting up a Dubai route, then we had EZY announcing 3 new routes and something about a direct link to Canada. All of which seemed to have dissipated. Any news on any of these???

Looking forward to this big announcment from BHD to see these new carriers that will be operating. Do you think Ryanair are in the pipeline??

sarcon
1st Jun 2012, 05:40
I think the announcement of the middle east routes from Aldergrove was nothing more than the usual very poor reporting from the telegraph. A number of Ministers met with airlines on their recent tour of the middle east and the BT had the service starting the next day.
Don't know about FR at the city, I doubt it, as without the extension there would still be operational constraints. The new operator the manager has been referring to as the operator of domestic and international routes, is Aer Lingus with Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham the domestic routes as well as LHR of course and all the usual sun destinations.

mart901
1st Jun 2012, 06:59
And is that definate about EI or just a flash in the pan?

SecondDog
1st Jun 2012, 10:32
Still don't understand how a Greek or Cypriot isn't attractive to any airlines especially Jet2

Don't think the 733 could make cyprus and they don't want to bring the 75 in to BFS from what I heard.

tigger2k8
1st Jun 2012, 10:48
So far we have had German Wings, BA for more than LHR, Jet2, Aer Lingus and ryanair... who else as been the rumored start? The only reason easyJet hasn't been rumored is because they said a few days after baby said they were closing BHD that they are staying put at BFS

If a decision has been made someone would have spilled the beans.. I would say that management at BHD has spoke to all of the airlines above.. airports speak to airlines all the time, it just so happens that someone hears of certain ones and adds their own bits to it..

I find it strange to think that EI would consider running LGW (they didn't exactly have much success there and EZY does have a strong brand name in both N.Ireland and London) MAN and BHX, 2 of EZY's newest routes that BE also operate.. if it is EI then it would make more sense for them to copy their BFS schedule, with some tweaks to ensure ACE / ALC / TFS are in before 2130, I dont see this happening this year though as people will already have rebooked their holiday after bmibaby's closure

They said they would announce in June, so we will know in a few weeks.

EI-BUD
1st Jun 2012, 11:26
would be immensely surprised if EI go into BHD with these routes. However, there are advantages to having short sectors to fit in around the longer routes like the Canaries, as without these shorter sectors EI need to do early departure and usually quite a late arrival back in Belfast for the Canaries.

EI-BUD

SecondDog
2nd Jun 2012, 13:38
would be immensely surprised if EI go into BHD with these routes. However, there are advantages to having short sectors to fit in around the longer routes like the Canaries, as without these shorter sectors EI need to do early departure and usually quite a late arrival back in Belfast for the Canaries.

EI-BUD

Bud, I have heard that there is a possibility of EI basing their aircraft at BFS and doing some W routes with BHD. Could all be part of the reason they brought two 319s for summer this year

mart901
2nd Jun 2012, 13:59
That does sound rather a complex setup somehow and I can't quite see what possible benefit there would be, especially when you consider how close both airports are in reality and the overlap of customer base, apart from I suppose LHR. The only other way I could see it is with say DUB based aircraft doing W's in and out of BHD and then that would only really work on leisure routes and not the domestic type of stuff that has been mentioned. I'm sure anything is possible however!

BFS101
2nd Jun 2012, 16:42
Anyone have information regarding the long delay on the United EWR flight?? It seems to be running about 13 hours late!!

david1994
2nd Jun 2012, 16:43
Anyone have information regarding the long delay on the United EWR flight?? It seems to be running about 13 hours late!!

It diverted enroute to BFS last night to Halifax due to technical problems

PPRuNeUser0176
2nd Jun 2012, 17:06
According to UA website its ETA into BFS is 01.15am tomorrow morning and back out at 02.00am. Estmated time of departure from Halifax is 20.30 Irish time, (16.30 local).

Mlinnie
2nd Jun 2012, 17:52
Someone wrote on BHD thread that Aer Lingus aren't moving to BHD it's official :D

tigger2k8
2nd Jun 2012, 17:59
That post was filled with sarcasm in that thread

I too have heard the possibility of keeping BFS as the base and running W routes with BHD..

Mlinnie
2nd Jun 2012, 18:08
W routes ?

tigger2k8
2nd Jun 2012, 18:14
Basically would be something like this, (feel free to correct me if my understanding is wrong) BFS-LHR-BHD-AGP-BHD-LHR-BFS

Jack1985
2nd Jun 2012, 18:54
Someone wrote on BHD thread that Aer Lingus aren't moving to BHD it's official

Sweet Jesus:sad:, please tell me you don't believe things stated by users on PPrune are fact??

BFS-LHR-BHD-AGP-BHD-LHR-BFS

So if timing's were to be added to that;

BFS-LHR 0730/0900
LHR-BHD 0955/1110

BHD-AGP 1150/1550
AGP-BHD 1630/1835

BHD-LHR 1915/2030
LHR-BFS 2120/2240

Aer Lingus will either move all operations to Belfast City or expand ex BFS there not in the business of serving two Belfast Airports when Mueller only recently stated Belfast having two airports was not needed. Aer Lingus will consolidate operations at one Belfast Airport, I believe that will be Aldergrove.

EI-BUD
2nd Jun 2012, 19:37
Anybody know what is the story with UA from Newark, delayed from this morning 9am until tonight at 0130...?

david1994
2nd Jun 2012, 23:35
Anybody know what is the story with UA from Newark, delayed from this morning 9am until tonight at 0130...? Departed EWR last night but developed technical problems so diverted to Halifax currently estimating a delay of 19hrs ... N13130 was the aircraft which developed engine problems in the right hand engine approx 3hrs after departure from Newark

irishlad06
3rd Jun 2012, 00:20
Now delayed even further with an eta of 04.30L at BFS and a 5.15am departure to ewr,

BHD2BFS
3rd Jun 2012, 01:04
United94 now expected at 4;30 would be great if anyone can get a photo of both the united planes if they overlap on the apron

SecondDog
3rd Jun 2012, 10:38
United94 now expected at 4;30 would be great if anyone can get a photo of both the united planes if they overlap on the apron

They didn't

Mlinnie
3rd Jun 2012, 12:00
Looks like somebody has put on the wiki page that Aer Lingus are ending Faro on 27th October and that new routes to Palma & Izmir are starting next year... Any confirmation ? Or is this just another rumor ?

Copenhagen
3rd Jun 2012, 14:12
Can EI as an Irish Airine fly to a Turkish city from what is a UK airport?

That puts that rumour to rest then!

BHD2BFS
3rd Jun 2012, 14:40
Air transat is now on wiki aswell for Toronto and Halifax

david1994
3rd Jun 2012, 14:46
Seems that BFS needs lots and lots of yearly / seasonal links to Canada :rolleyes:

Wiki -
Air Transat
Toronto-Pearson
Seasonal Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal-Trudeau, Ottawa, Vancouver [all begin May 2013]

ards_boy
3rd Jun 2012, 18:09
Seen two CO's on the ramp before on 21/22 one was a diversion from DUB had a EI 332 on 25A and a cityjet in at the same time! Good few years ago

tigger2k8
3rd Jun 2012, 18:29
Ignore wiki, no doubt the person who changes the BFS page gets a kick out of reading this thread..

NWSRG
4th Jun 2012, 16:56
Went out to LGW last week on the lunchtime EZY flight...

With a reasonable load, we entered 25 at Bravo, immediate departure, and were wheels up about half way between the intersection and the 07 threshold. Looking at Google Earth, I reckon that was about 1250m give or take. Pretty impressive.

Has anyone any idea whether an A319 would need full TOGA for that sort of take-off?

david1994
4th Jun 2012, 20:20
Flaps 1+F and a flex temp of +79 should be enough to do it

Mlinnie
5th Jun 2012, 11:39
Saw that yesterday's TCX flight from Mahon & today's flight from Palma were both operated by a 757. Is it just a one off ? Or will we see it throughout the summer at BFS ? I know that the a321 is based but is the 757 ?

BHD2BFS
5th Jun 2012, 18:24
found these old photos of BFS back in the day when easyjet where only a small airline at the airport, never realised there was 3 air bridges
Photos: - Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo//0560862/L/&sid=55e083d61a6b941815dcac36480b121a)

Photos: Boeing 737-33V Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/EasyJet-Airline/Boeing-737-33V/0535732/L/&sid=55e083d61a6b941815dcac36480b121a)

EI-BUD
5th Jun 2012, 19:19
BHD2BFS

Good pics, well I recall British Midland had its own gate as did BA (but by 2004 they both were gone). If BA gate was over approximately where gate 11 is, this must mean that this airbrige was moved around to the back of the International pier, ie that gate that is 26? Not sure if its 26/26, EI usually park at 319 at it at night, well 3 x 319 side by side, EI/EZY/EI..

BHD2BFS
5th Jun 2012, 19:27
I really thought they would have brought back the airbridge at the domestic end for EI's LHR, from the look of those photos the far end which is now used for 4 of EZYs ac must not have had gates down there back in 2004 as there is now taxi markings
On a different note is someone in boots chemist old unit and is the new unit beside Starbucks now occupied?

tigger2k8
5th Jun 2012, 19:30
Boots still empty and the unit opposite Starbucks also still boarded up, as is the unit beside WHSmith.

With stand 16 being moved slightly, they could put an airbridge in from near the business lounge for the LHR flights.. but it all comes down to money

BHD2BFS
5th Jun 2012, 19:37
It really is quite shocking how an international airport can look so bad, there is so many extensions here and there and they look soo cheap and tacky ( obv because they have been cheap) there is better looking airports in 3rd world countries

NorthernCounties
5th Jun 2012, 20:06
look at our economy... NI is a third world country.

Jamie2k9
5th Jun 2012, 22:43
Latest News > Dublin Airport Launches Advertising Campaign In Northern Ireland (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/12-06-05/Dublin_Airport_Launches_Advertising_Campaign_In_Northern_Ire land.aspx)

What do people think of this and I dought BFS managment will be to pleased...

Aaron9890
6th Jun 2012, 02:02
"About half a million residents of Northern Ireland currently use Dublin Airport each year, but DAA believes there is the potential to grow this number significantly over the medium term."

There are only 1.5 million of us..... do they want us all done there??

tigger2k8
6th Jun 2012, 02:34
Aaron, to put it bluntly... Yes.

Bail em out n thats how they thank us in return.

eastern wiseguy
6th Jun 2012, 08:18
It's common sense really.

The airports up here fight and squabble over another duplicated bucket and spade route from both BFS and BHD ( and to a much lesser extent CODA)whilst DUB with its low tax and choice of PROPER destinations gets quietly on with sucking the life out of them.

I am as guilty as the next bloke. I do not recall the last time I even CONSIDERED flying to the States from the north.

I have quite a few buddies currently working(:hmm:) in the middle east and none of them are even slightly tempted by the Northern Irish airport experience opting instead to bypass them totally and use DUB.

ara01jbb
6th Jun 2012, 10:32
It really is quite shocking how an international airport can look so bad, there is so many extensions here and there and they look soo cheap and tacky ( obv because they have been cheap) there is better looking airports in 3rd world countries

+1

Decade upon decade of minimum cost additions and alterations. Such a shame considering what a fine terminal it was when it opened. From the RIBA Archive:

Royal Institute of British Architects (http://www.ribapix.com/index.php?a=advanced&s=item&key=XYTozOntzOjM6IjAwNyI7czo3OiJCZWxmYXN0IjtzOjM6IjAwOCI7czo 0OiIxOTYwIjtzOjM6IjA4MSI7czo0OiIxOTcwIjt9&pg=6)

Royal Institute of British Architects (http://www.ribapix.com/index.php?a=advanced&s=item&key=XYTozOntzOjM6IjAwNyI7czo3OiJCZWxmYXN0IjtzOjM6IjAwOCI7czo 0OiIxOTYwIjtzOjM6IjA4MSI7czo0OiIxOTcwIjt9&pg=5)

EI-BUD
6th Jun 2012, 12:06

With 2 airports competing heavily for airlines attention here, I cant see how the airports are sustainable, and given this reality I cant see where the money is going to come from to reinvest in the future, its as simple as that. BFS has done quite a bit to improve the place over the last few years and yes there are some empty units, but with passenger number quite down over the peak years and customers spending less and looking for greater value on fewer shopping occassion this further compounds the problem.

As regards Dublin marketing the local customers here, they have a lot to play for especially in the area's in the middle, Louth, Down, Fermanagh and Armagh for eg. However, the Belfast airports need to be able to reassure the locals that the cost of driving and parking etc is not warranted, and yes customers like a nicer airport terminal etc, but in this climate the customer in the main wants, price, punctuality and an airport close to where they need to be. So I am not convinced customers in the Belfast area would see a value in going to Dublin unless it is for a destination not served from Belfast, which is going to be quite a few airports, so in reality there is a massive market the Dublin can target that cannot be served from Belfast.

Im not convinced that DUB will capture customers in the NI market who currently use Belfast, as in my experience on similar routes served from NI Dublin is not cheaper, so I would question are DAA spending money unncessarily on targeting customers who will fly from Dublin anyway as the destinations that they want are not available from Belfast?

Finally, I dont want to reignite the debate about the long term sustainability of 2 airports in Belfast, I have made my views clear on those, but again the point is in times like when DUB airport with in the region of close to 20M pax a year splashes out on a marketing campaign, Belfast's 2 airports with combined pax of a portion of that would find the cost the same to fund a similar marketing campaign, hence again 1 airport 1 strong marketing fund based on airlines paying the airport a fee that is sustainable for the future where also the funds are available to invest in the facilities.

EI-BUD

SecondDog
6th Jun 2012, 12:18
With 2 airports competing heavily for airlines attention here, I cant see how the airports are sustainable, and given this reality I cant see where the money is going to come from to reinvest in the future, its as simple as that. BFS has done quite a bit to improve the place over the last few years and yes there are some empty units, but with passenger number quite down over the peak years and customers spending less and looking for greater value on fewer shopping occassion this further compounds the problem.

Don't let BFS fool you, they make a lot of money, even the years after the downturn. I think the portion of the revenue that they put into reinvestment in the building is ever-dwindling so that the group revenues are not hurt by Cardiff and Luton's struggles.

dublinaviator
6th Jun 2012, 12:21
Aaron, to put it bluntly... Yes.

LOL are you for real?

First off you didn't 'bail' us out. The UK government offered Ireland a bilateral loan, which it must pay back, and initially the UK government was also looking for interest as well.

Secondly, it's a bit rich for someone from the North to be talking about bailing the South out when yous are effectively bailed out on an annual basis by the British taxpayer who are forced to prop up the basket case of an economy that is Northern Ireland because you're incapable of balancing your books, despite being more subsidised than Africa.

So spare us the "after we bailed them out" crap, you didn't bail anyone out.

EI-BUD
6th Jun 2012, 12:26
Don't let BFS fool you, they make a lot of money, even the years after the downturn. I think the portion of the revenue that they put into reinvestment in the building is ever-dwindling so that the group revenues are not hurt by Cardiff and Luton's struggles.

Second Dog, point noted however, irrespective of how profitable you may think BFS is, numbers have largely been in decline in last few years, investment has taken place, airline bargaining power has increased and the airport in the main has held on to its business, ok bmi baby gone. So my arguement would be that the cost of keeping hold of its business is not cheap. Take the speculation re EI and the whole EZY move of LTN route, yes it was dressed up as not a tangible benefit, but my money would be with the idea that BFS had to sweeten the deal for EZY.

Also what do you call a lot of money? As considering the cost of airport infrastructure plus the cost to main the place, it would need to be significant.

EI-BUD
6th Jun 2012, 12:32

I dont think any one of us in Northern Ireland can afford to talk about London bailing out the Republic of Ireland, after all we are at the mercy of London governement for their continued support and investment of our economy and the level of public sector jobs. We probably wont have to pay that back, but the Republic will have to at some point. UK have a vested interest in the Republics well being financially, so in one sense it is an investment....

Not having a go at the original poster, as it is somebody who always contributes well to the debate on here....!

As I also said earlier, I am not convinced there will be much value for Dublin Airport in such a marketing campaign. Afterall, they will naturally get some of NI business as NI simply dont have the destinations on offer. I.e. whether they market NI or not they will still get the business?

NI pay the Irish Tourist board in the region of £4m per annum to market NI as a destination in conjunction with idea of the whole Island of Ireland, DAA being government owned maybe Arlene Foster could exert some influence??
Maybe not?

EI-BUD