PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Duh
31st Dec 2009, 08:26
I like the ALL white paint scheme. Also, it will be easier to spot floating in the Ocean. :}

Panama Jack
31st Dec 2009, 11:52
senior F/Os will have to fly the ERJ for 6 months before upgrade on that fleet

Whaaaaaaaat?????

On another topic, Happy New Year everyone. Wonder when in the New Year we might get our 2010 Vacation schedule? :rolleyes:

40&80
31st Dec 2009, 18:49
Happy New Jack....Possibly you will be asked to sell your leave...this was the SOP on offer in the past.

Sidestick Priority
31st Dec 2009, 19:40
Could anyone think of a national airline that make profit during this difficult time? There might be fews, but hardly anyone is making profit.

So turning around Gulf Air into a profitable airline will be difficult. Forget profit! The most important thing is turning it into more efficient airline.

As a national/flag carrier of the Kingdom of Bahrain, some said Gulf Air has been a "burden to the economy". Something that many totally disagree.
A national flag carrier such as Gulf Air should continue to aid the country's economy.

Realignment of its business strategy without considering the fact that this national airline exists to support the country's economy is a bad move. Let's look closely as to what Bahrain has to offer, most would say nothing. How many tourists do you think will visit Bahrain to see the Tree of Life? May be hundred thousands tourists during F1 week and that is it.
How about shopping? How many put Bahrain on their shopping destination? Most would go to Dubai. Bahrain as the financial & commercial center of the Middle East? It's going to take a lot more than "the most free economy of the Middle East" to overtake Dubai. So, what is there for the Kingdom of Bahrain? If the ruler of this country want Bahrain to be a small town with small ambition, then Gulf Air would most likely be the same. But, according to Vision Bahrain 2030 ( we are talking 20 more years!), future of Bahrain looks promising. Bahrain, a small country with a big ambition. Should Gulf Air be prepared to be the same?

Corruption, fraud, and mismanagement are the talk of the town when people talk about Gulf Air. Why regional jet when the airline is already operating Airbus320 family? If transparency exists, this regional jets project should be questioned and closely scrutinized.

Sal-e
31st Dec 2009, 21:01
Well said, Sidestick Priority. You sound like a pragmatic Bahraini who has his ear close to the ground and the countries best interest at heart. Your country needs a lot of people like you, the realists.
That is an interesting incentive to get people to move across to the Embraer. No upgrades for six months should get everyone racing for the queue.

ironbutt57
31st Dec 2009, 23:22
You're missing the point sal-e...all commands in GF will be throught the regional jet, so...those in the queue for command will probably be happy to slide over there to facilitate the progression of their commands..

DesertHawk
1st Jan 2010, 04:14
happy is the wrong work accpeting it smore accurate i would assume. problem is when everyone starts leaving again GF will be in bad shape and then what? after some guys went right seat in EMB i bet some will go on 320 as capts again.....GF has some great ideas but again implementation will be screwed is too many leave. anyways most guys will do whatever they ask as u have no choice anyways if u want to stay

Dale Doback
1st Jan 2010, 05:04
Lousy service? GF is one of the best. Exemplary service! EK could learn a thing or two!

Skybeds
1st Jan 2010, 07:08
Lousy service? GF is one of the best. Exemplary service! EK could learn a thing or two! GF has a great cabin service.. but in some country's the ground service suck.
But i have to say that qatar airways has the best cabin service.

A300Man
1st Jan 2010, 07:39
Duh, your comment was not at all appreciated. Consider yourself reprimanded. Trust the mod gentlemen will convert this citizen's arrest into a more formal one in due course!

Happy New Year Everyone.

ddd
2nd Jan 2010, 11:40
OK, its the year 2013. After competing against the 12 other low cost regional airlines in the Gulf, Gulf Air is still losing millions per month. What will, or should happen to Mr.Majali and Gulf Air?:confused:

Che Guevara
2nd Jan 2010, 17:27
Shouldn't that be, the 500 million dollar question? ;)

centergear
2nd Jan 2010, 22:34
Some points on command upgrade:

1) after successful completion of command assessment and being "promoted" to the Erj, do we undergo a Captain's Training with a RHS qualification? Or just a regular co-pilot's type rating with a GF promise of upgrading?

2) Company policy of at least 3 years before changing fleet as CP. The jungle jet is below 55tons, so this "upgrade" serves only to fly another Erj.

3) How much is the bond and for how long? If the type rating is for FO with a subsequent CP course means you'll be bonded again?

T O G A Boy
3rd Jan 2010, 00:50
just heard rumours today that Majali has been asked to leave. How true is it, i dont really want to elaborate.

brassplate
3rd Jan 2010, 02:56
...a welcome rumour indeed. if this guy decided to cancel all the a330 orders and future b787 orders, this is tantamount to destroying gf...merely the completion of what hogan, dosé, and naff set out to do....all against the bahrain vision 2030. he may have had some good plans and intentions but bringing in his friends from royal jordanian simply reeked of crony-ism and more of the same cr@p that gf does not need.

captainspeed
3rd Jan 2010, 06:25
is that because of the A340 deals , what a deal .

MAHABATEN
3rd Jan 2010, 08:36
Don't forget that Mumtalakat has been 100% supported the new strategy plan. Is not CEO options anymore is Government commitment, either this or shut the airline down. They were very clear during last meeting. In 2010 they have to cut looses down up to 50%. Home work...new network, cancel orders, Regional Jets, narrow bodies, keep few big buses and etc...

T O G A Boy
3rd Jan 2010, 08:39
Brassplate this is the first time i agree with you cause that is exactly spot on. He not only wants to get a coffin for Gulf Air, but wants to make sure he puts the nails in too.

ddd
3rd Jan 2010, 09:25
Me thinks that Bahrain Air will be the future airline of Bahrain :confused:

downNOgreens
3rd Jan 2010, 09:54
Mumtalakat has to be more long term in their vision.
Hogan was heard commenting in an interview on the benefits of one of the biggest orders Etihad made, saying, "Etihad is now benefiting from deliveries made 18 months ago".
Gulf Air has to see beyond next week or next month or even next year when they brainstorm their strategies. At the moment, Gulf Air can not even see it's own feet.
If they keep on bringing in new CEOs, the first thing these guys do is look at the situation and act on a knee jerk reaction to solve the problem without considering the history of the airline, the future strategies already in place from a national view, the surrounding competition, the consequences on unemployment, in other words the profound medium to long term effects this will all have on Bahrain.
If he cancels orders, there is penalties to consider and you cannot 'cancel a cancellation'. Why not keep the orders until the last possible moment until the dust settles and it is easier to assess the company's circumstances? Have a 'wait and see' approach? What happens if there was a great need when the time came? It's too late to order then. You can always sell order slots.
His solution is to bring in Royal Jordanian E-Jets. I agree with brassplate :sad: for once. My exact sentiments, it reeks of cronyism. Enough said.

Gulf Air should now go ALL OUT. They should be ordering the best aircraft, with the best IFE. They already have the best in-flight service, the best morale amongst GCC cabin crew, the best training and safety standards, the best and free-est country in the Gulf, GF has the best cultural history, the best network..so why the hell not the BEST AIRLINE?
My stipends worth.

T O G A Boy
3rd Jan 2010, 10:31
downno greens you hit the nail right on the head. wise words....:ok:

borrowed light
3rd Jan 2010, 10:49
How true,its not often that Brassplate finds support but in my opinion his post is insightful to say the least.Majali is steadily chipping away at gulfair.Everyone is talking about how many aircraft we will have in 12months from now but has anyone asked how many we will have 2years down the line.Anyone can make a quick profit on paper by rapidly downsizing but is that the answer?I believe what Majali is doing is exactly what Dose wanted to do....the idea was rubbish then and it is rubbish today.Mr Majali has support in high places but in my opinion i feel it will soon be a case of "the kings new clothes"but by the time it reaches that stage i fear it will be too late for gulfair as it will have been swallowed up by the swarm of low cost carriers in the middle east.Such a shame.

mkdar
3rd Jan 2010, 11:20
Some one told me that the number of pilots resigned from gulf air recently is 50 + , can any one confirm or deny this please?

Che Guevara
3rd Jan 2010, 11:39
Heard 48 a few days ago, not sure how accurate.
Rumour of another 50 or so applications over in Qatar.

Skybeds
3rd Jan 2010, 12:19
Hogan was heard commenting in an interview on the benefits of one of the biggest orders Etihad made, saying, "Etihad is now benefiting from deliveries made 18 months ago".
Gulf Air has to see beyond next week or next month or even next year when they brainstorm their strategies. At the moment, Gulf Air can not even see it's own feet.
If they keep on bringing in new CEOs, the first thing these guys do is look at the situation and act on a knee jerk reaction to solve the problem without considering the history of the airline, the future strategies already in place from a national view, the surrounding competition, the consequences on unemployment, in other words the profound medium to long term effects this will all have on Bahrain.
If he cancels orders, there is penalties to consider and you cannot 'cancel a cancellation'. Why not keep the orders until the last possible moment until the dust settles and it is easier to assess the company's circumstances? Have a 'wait and see' approach? What happens if there was a great need when the time came? It's too late to order then. You can always sell order slots.
His solution is to bring in Royal Jordanian E-Jets. I agree with brassplate http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif for once. My exact sentiments, it reeks of cronyism. Enough said.

Gulf Air should now go ALL OUT. They should be ordering the best aircraft, with the best IFE. They already have the best in-flight service, the best morale amongst GCC cabin crew, the best training and safety standards, the best and free-est country in the Gulf, GF has the best cultural history, the best network..so why the hell not the BEST AIRLINE?
My stipends worth.

totally agree with you............... but dont forget the plan is not yet finalized ...
there are some calculations that the airline should make before ordering the emb....

but what is the regional jets dont arrive till 2013.. that means
the plan would take 6 more years...............
lets just hope that the plan should be a little modified.. because GF is not RJ.. the airline has its own reputation ( which is greatly declining)..... my question is.. that if the 3 years well pass and the airline would get back in making profit.. then what would the airline do?? keep those regional jets ? just sell them for a cheap price after using them for like 3 years? and why does the airline needs those emb? arnt the 320s enough?

Skybeds
3rd Jan 2010, 12:22
His solution is to bring in Royal Jordanian E-Jets. I agree with brassplate http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif for once. My exact sentiments, it reeks of cronyism. Enough said.

My stipends worth. totally agree with you............... but dont forget the plan is not yet finalized ...
there are some calculations that the airline should make before ordering the emb....

but what is the regional jets dont arrive till 2013.. that means
the plan would take 6 more years...............
lets just hope that the plan would be a little modified.. because GF is not RJ.. the airline has its own reputation ( which is greatly declining)..... my question is.. that if the 3 years well pass and the airline would get back in making profit.. then what would the airline do?? keep those regional jets ? just sell them for a cheap price after using them for like 3 years? and why does the airline needs those emb? arnt the 320s enough?

ddd
3rd Jan 2010, 12:32
Trust me on this one, what Mumtalikat knows about aviation is scary!! :ugh:

brassplate
3rd Jan 2010, 21:11
olbie. you are right. note one of my previous posts.

the jones's do what they do because they CAN. bahrain tries to keep up at great cost that it can not afford, but persists to keep up. bahrain air does not help the issue, like not enough butter over too much bread.
gentlemen, no country is rich enough to run an airline badly. airlines have a knack of humbling the great and mighty. bahrain is neither rich nor mighty. tis time to rethink even the current strategy because it is a strategy which only delays the inevitable, a slow and painful death. offer all gf slots and routes to any one of the neighbours. the up side is bahrainis and everyone in bahrain will fly on newer and safer aircraft to more places than gf can ever offer. swallow that bahraini pride, save that little money bahrain has and let the big airlines operate for you.

but we are pilots. so we favour your first option.
The first choice means big orders and nice routes but huge losses.

in any case, having an airline will be an uphill battle for bahrain.
go majali's way ie embraers for gf, not only will the fall from gf's former heights be accentuated but gf will also be the laughing stock of the region and most definitely loyal customers.
whichever way they take, i would rather take my chances on rebuilding a reputation of former glories than be a part of a pathetic general aviation operation using the gf logo.

MAHABATEN
4th Jan 2010, 09:38
From people in OPS...Manage speed, seat belt sign off, back on track...good news to come...

hunter320
4th Jan 2010, 10:12
its realy becoming a joke now.....
one day it one thing the next its another...
managment dont know what the plan is, it keeps changing every other day.
no one will tell u whats gonna happen, simply because they dont know.

Tziganul
4th Jan 2010, 10:36
heard that our beloved CEO has put in his resignation on the 31st and was rejected by the board. i say, even the blind people know where they are going, on utilizing the other senses, guess GFA is only using non of them :ugh:

T O G A Boy
4th Jan 2010, 10:37
Good news?? ... When just tell me when... They cant organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone manage the situation they're currently in...

Skybeds
4th Jan 2010, 13:15
what .. another CEO wants to leave?
is Gf trying to break a record or something... first the CEO used to last for years.. but now they barely last 6 months.. what next.. GF would keep o changing CEOs per week?

brassplate
4th Jan 2010, 16:42
heard he was shown the door. maybe they should just do away with ceos. talal al zain should run the company along with the most comical board members ever. that way, the fault will always go to the right people.

Inflatron
5th Jan 2010, 13:03
GULF AIR and all BAHRAINIS trying to run the show have become a big joke.THEY THINK THEY know it all and it is the only airline in the Middle east going down .FACE it GF the time is up.!!!

Skybeds
5th Jan 2010, 13:10
i bet non of the CEOs wants to join Gf anymore .cuz they know that they are wil get fired

T O G A Boy
5th Jan 2010, 13:21
Inflatron, your bias comments are not appreciated at all. Bahrainis can run the show...Look at the CEO of air arabia. He is a Bahraini and ex GF manager...Unfortunately he was not appreciated and he left...Look at air arabia now and how it's progressing and making profit year in year out.
Problem with Gu;f air is that they are goin in circles and everytime they start going up the ladder, a new CEO arrives and bang, back to square one...
Gulf air has many managers for its size, and strong strategy lacking unfortunately. They want comfort and profit at the same time. The word compromising is non existant in their vocabluary...
Such a shame to see such a great airline being fed to the dogs...

borrowed light
5th Jan 2010, 13:29
It seems that the new CEO was brought in to speed up the process of bringing gulfair to a close.All his strategies are WRONG.The last thing the middle east needs right now(especially Bahrain)is another low cost carrier.This man should be bundled back to Jordan.I think his honeymoon period is over unfortunately the board and the government who have very little knowledge of aviation have not realised that Mr M.is a total joke.How long does it take to see through his smoke and mirrors philosophies.There is no quick fix one medicine cures all remedy for an ailing airline and what worked for RJ does not mean it will work for gulfair......open your eyes Mr M.the problems are different and your first aid kit does not hold the answer.

REACH-69
5th Jan 2010, 15:59
Good luck to the Guys ,whom been called for the Embraer course:ok:

Skybeds
5th Jan 2010, 17:07
i hope the embraer orders will not happen.. or at least the plan for the removal of F class should be dropped .

Mike.Park
5th Jan 2010, 18:04
According to GF's official twiter account, the rumor about M. leaving is not true

@FreeBahrain (http://tinyurl.com/y8tys2l) Deborah, that rumour is not true

Source: Twiter (http://tinyurl.com/y9v4sc5)

G-FULL
5th Jan 2010, 19:35
Well @officialgulfair have to explain how a VP has told me that he was forced to resign after selling the A340's and the campaign for female Bahraini cabin crew .. Tossers

Skybeds
6th Jan 2010, 04:34
Oman Air is soaring high with its expansion plans. The national carrier of Oman has reported a 17 per cent rise in passenger turnout last year with 2.3 million over the previous year figure of 1.9m.

Panama Jack
6th Jan 2010, 05:59
On the whole topic of “assessments,” I think that Gulf Air needs to reassess its upgrade policy and how it will fit in with the introduction of Embraer Jets.

The recalled and updated versions of the January 2010 pilot newsletter are as vague and disturbing as they are poorly thought-out.

Gulf Air seems to be a unique industry example of pilots actually being penalized by seniority. Some of the most senior FO’s will be sent from the senior, wide-body fleet to the most junior narrow-body equipment for what looks to be at least 1½ years waiting period (in the case of Group B) before undergoing a command assessment on that type. I imagine that the First Officer will be presented a 2 or 3 year bond which will have a rather insulting standard preamble of “WHEREAS- The Company and the Trainee both believe that it is mutually beneficial to each of them. . .” Furthermore, there is no outline of what happens then if the pilot were to not pass his command assessment. Would he be sentenced to serve out the bond on the Embraer until he becomes eligible for transfer to the A320 and then the wide-bodies in turn?

When I talk to colleagues at other airlines, they express some surprise at Gulf Air’s approach to upgrades. In the words of one colleague at a major European airline, “our airline interviews you as a future Captain. If you pass the job interview, they feel you are capable of becoming a Captain. The upgrade process then is purely a training issue.”

When other airlines introduce a new, “junior” type of aircraft to the fleet, do the upgrade and new type training all in one shot. Why does Gulf Air feel that this is such a unique problem? Could this just be a lack of confidence in the capabilities of the Company’s First Officers? Or is this what it is starting to feel like- a hazing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazing) ritual to be indoctrinated as a Gulf Air Captain?

In summary, in some of the dark corners of Gulf Air there still is company loyalty amongst pilots. In these opening days of the year 2010, this loyalty is being severely tested by the Company.

evilatp
6th Jan 2010, 07:06
Well said, Panama. Airlines are supposed to hire pilots whom they see flying as captains sometime in the future. When so few people make it through the process does that mean the recruiting department is failing in its job to find qualified applicants?
The captain assessment process is a waste of time and money for the company. The fact that so many people do not succeed during upgrade training also reflects poorly on the training department. They are supposed to be preparing the candidates to be safe, competent captains for the airline. Not 20-year first officers.

ironbutt57
6th Jan 2010, 11:23
Help me out evil, what is the failure rate, and how does it compare with other carriers??

Duh
6th Jan 2010, 15:01
Evil, maybe it just takes a year(12-18 months) for them to become the worlds best Airline Captains. :}

Mephistopheles
6th Jan 2010, 15:19
Didn't know we had such a high failure rate for command upgrades??? Also on the subject of assessments, unfortunately-they are totally required since I can name at least 6 F/Os that should remain on the right seat indefinately & thank God they have been caught by "the waste of time" assessments.
Is the list out for transfers yet? cos I saw a lot a miserable faces around ops, but then again that could just be standard.

Panama Jack
6th Jan 2010, 15:28
Mephistopheles, I have been told that the first "invitations" have gone out already.

Mephistopheles
6th Jan 2010, 16:10
PJ, that's a nice way of putting it. They should have given "the chosen" few leave until the course cos I wouldn't want to be flying or flown by guys that have just been effectively given a demotion. Talk about rock bottom moral. Very dangerous in the cockpit.

DesertHawk
6th Jan 2010, 20:17
turbulent times for sure. from what i have heard from someone on this "first" course is that the bond is 1 year and no financial figure is out. from the onset this was going to be a cluster f**k and we all knew that, they need capts on both fleets and from their perspective this is the most cost effective way. as far as command process we all know it is ancient methods devised by the all mighty. we DO have a lot of failures some legit and some who knows but the fact stand there IS NO command training prior to sim. if GF was actually wanting to build confidence in their FO corps to assist them in their command process they would actually do training not checking prior to you course. all said and done u either live with it or leave cause these guys are not gonna change it as "they al had to do it!" lol

Duh
7th Jan 2010, 02:46
Retard Retard Retard

behramjee
7th Jan 2010, 05:36
Hi,

FYI for the Summer 2009 IATA season, frequencies to KTM have been cut to 9 times per week instead of double daily. On Friday's there is no flight KTM/BAH what so ever. All flights to be flown with 2 class A 332s.

You all will be interested to know that QR have been granted permission by Nepalese Govt to fly four times daily KTM DOH KTM if they wish to. DOH has now become the new hot spot for Nepalese labor to be exported to in the GCC region.

bluebirde2000
7th Jan 2010, 07:38
That is true. For over 6 months they do not have a manager there, just the GSA on its own and remotely managed by the retard manager in Pakistan, who doesn't miss a chance by mentioning that he is linked to big shots in Mumtalakat. :ugh:

It seems that Gulf Air are downsizing their stations. Same will be done in Manila. The manager have left already this month and joined Etihad and there is a strong rumor that they will cease operations. :ok:

Good for Qatar Airways & Etihad :D

Sidestick Priority
7th Jan 2010, 09:50
Gulf Air's dismantle, aka "turnaround", programe continues.

ironbutt57
7th Jan 2010, 11:02
IS NO command training prior to sim. if GF was actually wanting to build confidence in their FO corps to assist them in their command process they would actually do training not checking prior to you course.
Not quite sure what you're getting at, unless you consider the line assessment to be "checking". If so, then shouldn't a certain level of knowledge be "checked" prior to investing training for the command??

Mike.Park
7th Jan 2010, 16:05
G-FULL I heard the same.

Fall out over plans to train & employ local female cabin crew. Certain individuals at the 'top' objected big time.

left_to_first_class
7th Jan 2010, 16:35
I'm not sure if our customers would feel welcomed by our local bahrani female crew in black robe :E

tmax
7th Jan 2010, 18:43
It looks that you are going to be all locals (boys and girls)!! who is going to fly with you and who is going to start the marsalllama list again?He He)))
I am off to tubli(Gulf-tubli.com.gf.bh.com) airlines serving manama twice a day non stop!!!!
Maskooouuurr houuuiii

brassplate
7th Jan 2010, 18:47
dismantle, aka "turnaround" aka turnaround gf so it can take more from behind.

Che Guevara
7th Jan 2010, 18:51
left_to_first_class

You don't mean this :suspect: do you?

Mike.Park
7th Jan 2010, 20:11
I'm not sure if our customers would feel welcomed by our local bahrani female crew in black robe

Apparently Majali made provisions and was happy for local girls to wear the hijab as part of their official GF uniform. He made the argument that if it worked in Jordan, it should work in Bahrain..

Mike.Park
7th Jan 2010, 20:32
Gulf Air denies rumours of chief executive's 'resignation'

GULF Air yesterday strongly denied rumours that chief executive officer Samer Majali had resigned or had been asked to leave just five months after being appointed.

An airline official told the GDN there was also "no truth" in reports that as many as 50 pilots had quit en masse because they did not want to be re-trained on narrow-body aircraft.

"Rumours about Mr Majali have been circulating for several weeks now but there is nothing to them," said the official. "He is aware of these rumours and has laughed them off."

On the mass resignation of pilots, the official said such reports were baseless. "This is the first time we are hearing about this," said the official.

Another airline source also denied Mr Majali was leaving or had been asked to go.

"Mr Majali was at an employee majlis this afternoon where he spoke about the rumours and laughed them off," he said.

The source quoted the Jordanian as having said: "I am not going anywhere, I am very much here".

However, the source confirmed "around 50 or more" of the airline's 450 pilots had decided to either resign or not renew their contracts.

"Many of them are GCC nationals but mainly are expatriates," said the source. They have reportedly indicated they are being offered better salaries and perks elsewhere, so they are not renewing their contracts.

"They have also indicated they do not see a bright future for themselves at the company. This is normal and all airlines have people leaving and joining."

The source said he was not aware of claims that pilots were furious they would be sent away for between six to eight weeks for training on narrow-bodied aircraft and would be away from their families for too long.

Mr Majali joined Gulf Air in August and earlier announced a three-year strategy for the carrier, which could include job cuts and redundancies in a bid to turn around its fortunes.

It included plans to reduce its workforce through natural attrition, retirements, redundancies, the ending of contracts and other measures.

Source: GDN (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=268072)

Che Guevara
7th Jan 2010, 21:09
On the mass resignation of pilots, the official said such reports were baseless. "This is the first time we are hearing about this," said the official.

Watch this space...

brassplate
7th Jan 2010, 21:35
"This is the first time we are hearing about this," said the official.

once again, no wonder this airline is where it is at....when comments like this really reflect how out of touch gf managers are with reality.

brassplate
7th Jan 2010, 21:37
.....pilots were furious they would be sent away for between six to eight weeks for training on narrow-bodied aircraft and would be away from their families for too long.

all in the name of effectively getting demoted.

brassplate
7th Jan 2010, 21:41
....a three-year strategy for the carrier...

three years to completely wipe out the company.

brassplate
7th Jan 2010, 21:45
people, this is the very first post that started the entire thread.

What is on Flight Global website:

With Gulf Air (http://www.gulfair.com/about/) not expecting its first Boeing 787s (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/boeing%20787.html) to arrive until at least 2016, the airline is focusing on its efforts on developing its Airbus A330 (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/airbus%20a330.html) fleet.
The Bahraini flag carrier operates six A330-200s and will take three ex-Middle East Airlines A330-200s next year on eight-year operating leases from International Lease Finance (http://www.ilfc.com/).
The carrier is seeking four additional A330s as an interim replacement for some of its A340-300s, and sent a request for proposals to lessors earlier this year. "We have offers on the table and we will announce our decision next month," says Gulf Air chief strategy officer Tero Taskila.
Gulf Air has orders for 20 A330-300s and 24 787s. The latter will be the core of its future widebody fleet, with the A330s being taken as bridge aircraft. Taskila says Gulf Air is hoping to take four A330s on six- to eight- year operating leases but lessors are now offering 10-year leases.
Gulf Air has a growth requirement of three-to-four widebodies a year during the next five years as it growing its network from 43 destinations to 60 by 2013.

now THAT is a plan!! what the hell happened?

brassplate
7th Jan 2010, 21:48
"Mr Majali was at an employee majlis this afternoon where he spoke about the rumours and laughed them off," he said.

cocky bastard. what's so funny about destroying an airline?

Albergineman
7th Jan 2010, 22:25
now THAT is a plan!! what the hell happened? That was when the so crucified Bjorn Naf was the CEO...

Now that the bahrainization has started we can expect everything, there is no mercy for expats, it is take it or leave police.

What to do yannii

:{

brassplate
7th Jan 2010, 22:50
two schools of thought me thinks.

1. save money by not spending it
2. spend money to make money.

i guess i am of the latter school.

DesertHawk
8th Jan 2010, 08:44
Assessment:

"the act of assessing; appraisal; evaluation" ironbutt; i think the word speaks for itself. we have a tendancy to check, not train. with all our improvments we still have not figured out how to control the outcomes by providing adequate training which ASSISTS the candidate to make a compfortable transition. Fact is only training is once there in the sim. Which is quite good from my experience anyways. I believe we need to change our approach.

Skybeds
8th Jan 2010, 09:54
the majali rumor could be a little true. maybe talal al zain was unhappy about selling the 340s for a very cheap price. and i guess they must of given him a warning or something.

Mephistopheles
8th Jan 2010, 13:50
Come on guys. Since when have the board & CEO been in it for the thrill of the job & returning GF to its former glory? Never. The board are just there to try to invent new ways to a** rape the poor company & the CEO,justifiably, follows their lead. "Expect Nothing" should be our new motto since it has served me well all these years. Those of you with other options should seriously think about the future & what is the best that could really happen with GF. So we reduce some of the losses (aka offset the stealing) then what? The board will find a way to f*** it up whilst filling their already overflowing pockets & thrust us back into the red. All the time you will be filling out your logbook on the back of a cigarette pack cos that's all the hours are worth when it comes to moving forwards with your career.
All the tiny rays of sunshine,that used to give us a minute sense of hope have now finally been blotted out.
Good luck all.

J77
8th Jan 2010, 15:26
It is sad to see GF reduced to this. It has helped many a person launch off into great careers, unfortunately, not in GF. The biggest problem was the arrogance of the previous local CEO's that caused the start of the break up. The ignorance combined with the arrogance of the only remaining state caused it to get into this position. The thinking was that we don't need you, our point to point sevices across the globe would offer great connectivity from a single point, Bahrain.

The Pearl of the gulf is fast loosing its sheen. Even now with things reaching levels of unsustainable losses the arrogance continues, expecting state subsidy to live in a delusional oppulance. The only way out for GF is to get an identity. Accept that the glorious 'Five Star Tristars' days are over. The state will not fund the airline to get back anywhere near those levels. It has to be a 'slave trader' and a regional operation. To facilitate the lucrative banking sector, and whatever is left of the pride of the island ,a skeletal service to Europe.The current CEO seems to be heading in the right direction. However, the choice of airplanes seem to be incorrect. The ERJ's are far too small and lack significant baggage carrying capacity, a pre-requisite in this region for expat passengers. The aim should be to track Africa, India and the 'Stans'. If he sticks with these regions instead of pulling out from them the airline stands to gain. The public confidence in the airline is reducing because of the uncertainty of continuing services to cities. The frequent fliers will flee faster than the airline would like and fuel all the other carriers of the region who are smacking their lips increasing services to Bahrain

To add insult to injury ' Bahrain Air ' tries to ensure the demise of aviation on an island that saw the birth of Aviation in the region. Forget the past, Bahrain is too small an economy to sustain an intercontinental airline, accept it and move on.

brassplate
8th Jan 2010, 16:02
GobonaStick
The people destroying the airline are those who think they can push it around with their unreasonable demands, while sucking the money out of Bahrain's economy.

are you meaning us pilots the ones pushing with unreasonable demands?
let's see who was all for gf growth plans.

September 04, 2008
Gulf Daily News » Business News » Gulf Air signs deal for Boeing Dreamliners (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?srch=1&storyid=228040)

SEATTLE: Gulf Air yesterday signed a deal to buy eight more Boeing Dreamliners.The agreement was sealed during a visit to the US planemaker's Seattle plant by Crown Prince and Economic Development Board (EDB) Chairman Shaikh Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa.

the crown prince was the signatory to growth, right next to talal alzain. don't blame anyone else, ceo, managers, pilots, board members (a completely useless anyway who's every action has been counterproductive for gf anyway).
my point is apportion the blame correctly rather than blame anyone else but the very top.

obviously the economic climate has changed and plans must change accordingly. but not on orders.
i've said it before and i'll say it again. cancelling orders is not the answer as deliveries are still years from now. what if the economic climate greatly improves? gf will miss out because you can not suddenly acquire aircraft then.

T O G A Boy
8th Jan 2010, 17:02
Brassplate u r suddenly making sense with ur useful comments lately.
U r right. acquiring aircrafts is far more difficult than cancelling orders.
Gulf air is really in turbulent weather as i witnessed first hand the amount of people who have said that they are handing in their resignations soon.
Heard that QR is having a roadshow soon in Bahrain...How true is that. Can anyone confirm pls

bluebirde2000
8th Jan 2010, 18:37
Remember this article? Just to prove that nothing will happen. Just air talking.

Qte

MPs delay Gulf Air corruption probe

Lawmakers have delayed a corruption probe into Bahrain’s Gulf Air until after the summer to avoid shaking confidence in the troubled airline, but are still calling for the immediate sacking of its under-fire CEO, an MP said in comments published on Tuesday.

Abduljalil Khalil, parliament’s financial and economic affairs committee chairman, said up to seven expatriate airline officials face questioning over alleged corruption and mismanagement, Bahrain’s Gulf Daily News reported.

"There are corruption and mismanagement cases affiliated to six or seven expatriate senior officials at the company, among other issues, but that will be put on hold to ensure that Gulf Air makes some money during the summer," Khalil was quoted as saying.

"We don't want to harm the company, especially when we are trying to help it stand, but things will be opened again when the summer is over."

Khalil said the probe would be pushed back until September.

He said MPs are calling for CEO Bjorn Naf’s head due to massive losses the airline continues to make.

MPs in January demanded Naf’s replacement by someone with the right “qualifications and experience”.

Naf was appointed in August 2007 following the resignation of Andre Dose quit after just four months in charge amid mounting financial losses.

In April 2007 Gulf Air announced it was to restructure its operations in a bid to curb losses of $1 million a day. The plan includes destination, fleet and employee cutbacks. Khalil said losses now stood at around $700,000 a day, according to Gulf Daily News.

Naf has said Gulf Air hopes to break even in 2010.

Unqte

IFE
9th Jan 2010, 06:11
What time is the mass exodus begin tomorrow?
And, please call GDN to witness the event.

ironbutt57
9th Jan 2010, 07:30
It will be more exciting to watch paint dry than to witnes this so-called "mass exodus".....unless all the expat Catholic staff are all leaving for church at the same time..:}

Che Guevara
9th Jan 2010, 09:28
It will be more exciting to watch paint dry than to witnes this so-called "mass exodus".....unless all the expat Catholic staff are all leaving for church at the same time

IB, funny you should mention that, but just last night I met 4 heading out and yes they have put their papers in.
Had enough of the persecution I guess or perhaps watching the paint dry. ;)

Cheers

bluebirde2000
9th Jan 2010, 10:31
Gulf Air union threatens strike amid cutbacks
[Wed, Nov 25, 2009 10:25:00 am]

DUBAI - Gulf Air’s beleaguered management has “one more chance” to reach a deal with staff or face strike action, a union chief said late on Tuesday after the airline announced job cuts, aircraft sales and route cuts to save almost $3 billion.

“For the time being we have given a chance to the Labour Ministry to solve this problem. After that we might go for a sit-in or strike,” Mustafa al-Tooq, chairman of the Gulf Air Trade Union, told Maktoob Business in a telephone interview.

Samer Majali, Gulf Air’s latest chief executive, on Monday unveiled a fresh five-year restructuring plan aimed at turning around the fortunes of the loss-making airline.

The airline, fully-owned by the Bahraini sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat, launched its new business strategy after a three-month structural review, with its Chairman Talal al-Zain saying it plans to become a sustainable business by 2012.

Zain also said Mumtalakat may sell a stake in the airline and would sell "a minimum of a 25 percent”.

Gulf Air has struggled to compete in recent years and has been in a seemingly constant state of turmoil - haemorrhaging cash, witnessing management upheaval and finding itself subject of several government corruption investigations.

Tooq laid the blame for Gulf Air’s troubles squarely at the feet of airline management, accusing them of “corruption and mismanagement” and threatening to expose this through the media.

“There is corruption and mismanagement, that is the problem. Solving this problem should not come at the expense of staff, who are loyal and very productive,” he said.

“If the management is not willing to solve the problem internally, then we will use the mass media, present our case to parliament and international organisations. A part of defending our rights is to expose the corruption,” he added.

Gulf Air was not immediately available for comment.

Majali said on Monday that if Gulf Air did not restructure it would lose around $2.65 billion over the next five years.

"We have a serious revenue problem because we operate from a small base with high costs,” he said.

The airline employs about 5,700 people and flies to more than 40 destinations in 28 countries.

Tooq said the management wants to terminate 1,160 staff and privatise the airline. He said the union is prepared to fight these moves.

Majali is Gulf Air’s fourth chief executive in three years after Bjorn Naf resigned in July amid criticism from Bahraini lawmakers who threatened yet another probe into corruption at the airline.

The airline was still losing around $700,000 a day this summer, according to a senior MP, despite major restructuring in 2007 that included destination, fleet and employee cutbacks

Albergineman
9th Jan 2010, 10:56
What time is the mass exodus begin tomorrow?Maybe half a dozen Senior FO's will resign.

Imagine after 4 - 6 years working for GF, having seen four different CEO's and their miraculous turnaround plans, already under command assessment, having to wait another year and a half, at least, to resume their command assessment, God knows in which fleet, while all the juniors will remain on their current fleet.

For captains it's just a matter of accepting it or not. By now, only expat captains are being transferred to ERJ and A340 captains are having their blocks changed by A320 simulator without short notice.

There is no list available to see who are first 14 FO's, who are in the group A and B to be transferred and so on. Just a telephone call "informing you" that you are going to training in January or April.

They even don't know which ERJ model is coming, when exactly the training will start and, the last but not the least, if this aircraft will be successful.

You might be ending unemployed after one year with just a ERJ rating valid...

" An easy way for a blind to go and a clever path for the fools..."

Very sad indeed!

:(

Jameel
9th Jan 2010, 15:43
True but you won't be Airbus current! :=

Mephistopheles
9th Jan 2010, 15:52
Albergineman, it is not only expat Captains from the 320 that are being forced to move. You really should know better than to start posting devisive comments like that. I am sure that most agree that GF, although not the best airline in the region, is by far the fairest when it comes to treatment of expat vs local which is something & we are all being screwed together. Now is the time when we should be sticking together, not pointing fingers at each other since we all know where the blame lies.

hunter320
9th Jan 2010, 16:42
now things are really getting bad...... more and more people are being forced to E-Jets and others to 320. the list is going up the seniority very fast because they are loosing people from the bottom of the original list. looks like its Majali's way of natural attrition of pilots (just f......k their life and future and u wont have to sack them. they will leave and we'll collect the bond, and make some cash).
and yes its locals and expats in the sh...... together, and no , I'm expecting anyone to stand together.
one word for the management: you might think your doing a good job, but just remember(what goes around comes around).

Skybeds
9th Jan 2010, 17:05
now things are really getting bad...... more and more people are being forced to E-Jets and others to 320. the list is going up the seniority very fast because they are loosing people from the bottom of the original list. looks like its Majali's way of natural attrition of pilots (just f......k their life and future and u wont have to sack them. they will leave and we'll collect the bond, and make some cash).
and yes its locals and expats in the sh...... together, and no , I'm expecting anyone to stand together.
one word for the management: you might think your doing a good job, but just remember(what goes around comes around). some body is was too angry... dont worry i hope the nightmare will not come true.. so what would the airline do if it came back to profit in 3 years? dumbpthe emb jets? sell them or keep them in their fleet?
the airline already has the 320s so why do they need those emb?
all i could say GF could have a brighter future only if majali would stop thinking about the commissions that he may receive for ordering the emb jets

T O G A Boy
9th Jan 2010, 17:11
I have seen pilots morale being low on numerous occasions before, but in all honesty not to the current scale. Everybody literally had their smiles wiped off their faces by this sudden change.
Many ppl, including myself thought that with the arrival of Majali, GF wud really stand on its feet and face the current crisis strongly and boldly.
But now unfortunately, we are seeing this ailing company bowing down on it's knees and losing buoyancy much faster than predicted.
Lets face it, that Gulf air is finally on it's way to the abateur

wapses
9th Jan 2010, 21:29
I had five years at GF. Not a bad airline in 2002, but suffered from too many hubs and far too much bureaucracy ... oh, and too many Bahrainis for whom a day's work was about 50% of what most expats did.

Then there was the disaster that was Gulf Traveller. Set up to appease Abu Dhabi. A lot of good that did!

The best thing in that period was the new branding which gave the airline an excellent image. Just a pity that too many of the interiors were not updated or held together with Duck Tape.

After JH's departure things rapidly went downhill. One hub, which we thought would be the best thing to have happened for a long time, turned into a lost opportunity because the Board interfered at every turn ... and was made up of a bunch of guys who liked to think they knew something about aviation, but didn't.

Their igorance of the business was well illustrated by appointing that know-nothing Bjorn Naff as CEO.

Now the whole operation appears to be sinking like the Titanic.

Pity, because I still believe the Gulf Air brand is an excellent one and could be rescued.

But it would need the Board and Parliament to stop interfering. The appointment of a CEO who had a clear mandate to get on with the job. Maybe Majali is the right guy, maybe not.

The Embraer thing does not make much sense. Much better surely to stick to the A320 family of jets. Reduced maintenance costs, reduced training costs, familiarity with the manufacturer.

Watch this space I guess. Where will GF be at the dawn of 2011?

borrowed light
9th Jan 2010, 23:38
Actually Wapses,I have it on good authority that our esteemed CEO has been given a free hand, indeed from what I heard he made that a condition of the job.His remit was simply DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO TURN GULFAIR AROUND.........well he has certainly done that,so now ask yourself:is Mr M. the right man for the job? I think not.

boiler
10th Jan 2010, 03:35
It seems that GF is trying to find new smaller markets which the others do not go to and that is never a bad thing. These smaller markets probably cannot support an A320 and hence the smaller jets. The demand may me small but with none of the other airlines serving them means potentially high yield traffic. The question is how long this will last before the other airlines also come into those markets as well and then GF is back to the same old story.
Even some of GF's current markets are becoming weak and if they are to be saved from the axe have to be transferred to an Ejet.

Skybeds
10th Jan 2010, 10:56
but GF gets passenger enough to pack up a 320.. its not that GF keeps on getting less than 50 pax. then why do we need the ejets?

Panama Jack
11th Jan 2010, 06:30
I'm not trying to compete with Oprah's Book Club, but here is some suggested reading:

Introduction to Air Transport Economics: From Theory to Applications (http://www.ashgate.com/pdf/tis/9780754670810_US.pdf) by Vasigh, Fleming and Tacker.

http://img.flipkart.com/bk_imgs/810/9780754670810.jpg

An interesting read for Skybeds and other forum members who are having troubles grasping the basic economic concepts in our industry. Amongst other things, gives a good overview of revenue management programs and clues on such perplexing puzzles of why a full airplane does not necessarily mean a profitable flight.

For the rest of us, Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Johnson is some good, one hour reading material to help guide through these types of crisis. :sad:

http://gasbottle-county.eu/media/books/who_moved_my_cheese.png

And then there is this little gem:

http://images.swaptree.com/images/books/22/0471356522.jpg

When Gordon Bethune took the captain's seat of Continental Airlines, in 1994, it was a company coming apart at the seams. Running at a loss of nearly $55 million a month and unable to pay its bills, Continental was on the verge of filing bankruptcy for the third time in a decade. In terms of quality, Continental was rated worst across the board and by a wide margin along the nation's top ten airlines. Not surprisingly, employee morale was also at rock bottom. Underpaid and embittered over having to take the rap for ineffective revolving-door management. . .

Sound familiar? Strangely, Mr. Bethune felt it essential to have frequent, direct, two-way line of communication with his employees. Sadly, the "current" newsletter is dated October 15, 2009: "On Saturday our first new airbus A320 touched down in Bahrain to the rapturous applause of a number of VIP’s, Board Members and members of the media." I understand that every manager has his own style but, IMHO, this is a huge opportunity . . . lost.

I don't recommend reading any mystery novels. We're already living it.

The Dilbert comic strip also helps give occasional humorous relief to corporate life. Nobody will know whether they are tears of laughter or sadness.

Duh
11th Jan 2010, 07:39
PJ, you can't talk any sense into someone whose heart and ego is set on being a "big" airplane driver. Economics, business sense and common sense be damned. Some would rather run it(GF) into the ground before anyone, least of which a foreignor or outsider, show them what it takes to run an Airline.
From what I gather, we're going to be receiving some GF flyers join us soon over here. Good, welcome.:)

CRUIZE
11th Jan 2010, 12:22
My Country My Airline And Whats Happening Now? Very Funny.

ODMEA
12th Jan 2010, 02:26
As an ex pax I can't tell u reading these threads how glad I am cut up that gold ff card. I told em I want to opt out and they still send me a silver card. Stupid airline.:eek::yuk:

Skybeds
12th Jan 2010, 11:54
As an ex pax I can't tell u reading these threads how glad I am cut up that gold ff card. I told em I want to opt out and they still send me a silver card. Stupid airline.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif
hahahha.. good work because GFs first class sucks . on top of all that they are going to remove it without even trying to make the F class better for their passengers....

SubsonicMortal
12th Jan 2010, 15:44
Does anyone know where to find the particulars regarding the Indemnity as per our employment contract? The contract itself refers to the Labour Law but where exactly would one find this information?

ironbutt57
12th Jan 2010, 16:20
Indemnity as I understand it, is 2 weeks per year of service for the first three years, then one month afterwards eg: 5 yrs service gets you 2months + six weeks basic pay

Che Guevara
12th Jan 2010, 16:50
IB

The labour law is available on the net and can be purchased as well apparently; the sticking point with many, is that it clearly states if my mind serves me correctly, that the Leaving Indemnity should be calculated on your basic salary etc. but also, and perhaps most importantly, all fixed allowances, something that by many accounts is not being done....

It would be interesting if anyone might be able to clarify this?

Cheers

Sandy Swan
12th Jan 2010, 17:07
They make it up as they go along along along along

MAHABATEN
12th Jan 2010, 17:39
Crew Administration Manual:
9.8.2 . Expatriate Pilots
For non-Bahrain nationality pilots, on whom the provisions of the GOSI are not applicable,
the company shall pay an ‘Indemnity’ which is a sum of
1. 15 days wage for each year of service for the first 3 years
2. 1 months wage for each year of completed service, for a period over 3 years
3. Pro rata for service in a fraction of a year
Further, the indemnity value shall be multiplied by the factor below:
Condition Factor
Pilot has less than three consecutive years of service in the company
0%
Pilot has more than three, but less than five consecutive years of
service in the company
33.33%
Pilot has more than five consecutive years of service in the company
100%

Mephistopheles
13th Jan 2010, 07:26
Well MFF has been approved for the Capts that will be transferred from the 330 to 320. That's very nice, at least it will silence the s*** stirrers hear that keep ranting on about how the company treat the locals better than the expats. Cuz believe me, if it were only locals being forced onto the 320 there would be no such provisions made.

mkdar
13th Jan 2010, 10:30
subsonicmortal

Bahrain labour law can be downloaded from here:

http://www.gulftalent.com/home/Bahrain-Labour-Law-Report-19.html (http://www.gulftalent.com/home/Bahrain-Labour-Law-Report-19.html)

Landflap
13th Jan 2010, 12:23
Leaving indemnity should include ALL allowances. GF have never paid this to anyone leaving, in clear breach of the law ! Argue with them when you go through the leaving process and they say ok, take us to Court !

Before you get your money after they have stolen lots, you have to sign a no claimer. i.e. you accept the final cheque in full and final settlement and that you will not pursue any claims for further amounts ! Gotcher !

Get out with what you can before it finally goes belly up. After that, you join the list of creditors.....at the bottom.

DesertHawk
13th Jan 2010, 15:01
hey MEPH good start bad finish. Fact is this company foes not give 2 ****s of u are local or expat they just want productivety!!! All aside most guys are not upset about aircraft movement more about the constantly changing plan!

REACH-69
13th Jan 2010, 17:28
MEPH ,i know how you feel and i totally agree with you .It is about time guys waiting for the transfer to the 330 ,get in the office and ask for it.:ok:

Not too small
13th Jan 2010, 18:40
Gulf air is the worse airline to fly with , imagine working for it.
All i can say is maybe maybe..............:ugh::ugh::{

Mephistopheles
14th Jan 2010, 07:20
I have never, in all my years here, seen such low moral amongst the pilots. It seems the general feeling that the company are basically pushing people,that would very happily spend a very long time here, out the door. Is that the master Majali plan? Who knows? Still no communication from Mr Majali so the only prudent course of action would be to make preparations for employment elsewhere. Maybe, someone should teach him about FORDEC- then he might understand that we NEED FACTS from him & that we are not willing to sacrifice our careers & families' wellbeing for his glory of making a few pennies for GF & joining the One world alliance. If you have any doubts about out his performance check out the losses at RJ, he's not as amazing as people would like us to believe.

Skybeds
14th Jan 2010, 07:43
CASH-STRAPPED Gulf Air was yesterday accused of failing to chase down travel agents abroad who owe the airline hundreds of thousands of dinars.
MPs also claim delays in selling off two aircraft led to millions of dinars in losses for the national carrier.
Parliament's financial and economic affairs committee made the claims following a meeting with the company's board of directors, led by Gulf Air chairman Talal Alzain.
Members of the committee demanded answers on a number of issues raised in the Financial Audit Bureau report for 2008, while accusing the airline of hiring consultants without properly justifying their appointment.
Other criticisms focused on the filing of a bribery lawsuit against a Gulf Air employee, which was subsequently dropped, as well as salary increases of up to 220 per cent for individual staff and the airline's early retirement scheme.
Action
"The action Gulf Air has taken to collect its money and ensure that it doesn't get lost or squandered is weak," said committee chairman Abduljalil Khalil. "We spoke in the meeting about six million Moroccan dirhams (BD299,000) owed by 30 Moroccan travel agents; 800,000 Saudi riyals (BD84,640) owed by Saudi travel agents; and $1.5m (BD567,000) owed by Lebanese travel agents that were not collected.
"The meeting also focused on the company's failure to sell two Boeing 767s on time, which has led to a loss of BD23.5m.
"The company has also been questioned about the reasons behind employing consultants on temporary contracts without their job descriptions being mentioned.
"We have also spoken with the management on the company's decision to withdraw a case against an expatriate employee, who has allegedly pocketed BD423,000 after taking the case to the Public Prosecution, despite clear evidence that he is involved in bribery and misuse of authority."
Mr Khalil demanded a copy of the inquiry report on the employee should be presented to parliament to make MPs aware of all aspects of the case.
"The company has violated the early retirement scheme by giving 14 employees the go-ahead, despite knowing that they are already near retirement -which has cost the company BD419,000," said Mr Khalil.
"A pay differential (promotion-related pay rise) has been given to 370 employees, sometimes reaching 220pc - something that has led to BD1.64m in losses. Gulf Air owes the Pension Fund Commission BD449,000 for unpaid contributions over the years. The company has cancelled 661 flights on 48,627 passengers and delayed 11,050 flights for 1.3m others."
Mr Khalil also said Sky Chefs cost the company BD1.1m every year, but no study had ever been carried out into the viability of the service.
He demanded that Gulf Air respond to the accusations in writing and present its response to parliament.
Meanwhile, a Gulf Air spokesman said the airline yesterday presented its response to the questions raised by the parliament committee.
"Gulf Air's priority is to deliver a commercially sustainable and dynamic airline that effectively serves the people and the economy of Bahrain and represents the kingdom on the world stage," he said.
"As part of the new strategy, Gulf Air is working hard to align its cost base, maximising investment into areas of the business that will offer the best returns whilst reducing cost in those that don't. Less than eight weeks since announcing our plans, our efforts are already starting to pay off as we strive to reach profitability by 2012."
Bahrain's national carrier hopes to save almost $3 billion over five years as it restructures to compete in the Gulf's increasingly cutthroat aviation market, it was revealed in November.
The airline launched its new business strategy after a three-month structural review, saying it plans to become a sustainable business by 2012. Gulf Air, which expects to post an operating loss of BD193m this year, hopes to break even by 2012
:yuk:

MaffiFaloos
14th Jan 2010, 08:41
Clearly those in charge are under a lot of pressure to perform and as is to be expected the incompetent and inept revert to the standard GF tactic of bullying. "Accept the new fleet or resign", which I believe a number have already done. Several Captains, some with 15 years on the 330/340 have been given 12hrs notice to be on a so called 320CCQ course that itself was none existent at the time and according to the relevant manager was not approved. This made all the more galling due to the fixed seniority list, in favour of the usual suspects, making Captains with 3 months in the seat more senior to those with a decade or more of service. Now we hear those Capt's have been told they will fly the 330 as well apparently due to approaching crew shortages on the big bus from which they have been summarily removed.

FO's have been treated even more harshly taken off assessments for Command to be put on the EMB (with an as yet undisclosed bond to follow) for another 18 months or more with no end in sight. Again I hear several have resigned and more are about to, who can blame them.

As always the knee has been firmly jerked and now we will live with the consequences as our Management Pilots try to sort out the ensuing debacle. In short another well thought through plan, well communicated and agreed put into action by professional managers worthy of the name. When will we ever learn. It is desperately disheartening, the standard of management is truly appalling as we again stumble and fall from crisis to crisis. What will be the plan for tomorrow. God only knows.

Left Coaster
14th Jan 2010, 11:27
Wow...guess I now know where my End of Service benefits went! :ouch:

Mephistopheles
14th Jan 2010, 12:20
MaffiFaloos,
Several Captains, some with 15 years on the 330/340

None of the 8 sent down have more than 7 years on the 330/340 & the most senior has been in the company 14 years. The seniority list hasn't been played with, it's just that it's based on the date of first final line check you do in the company, reguardless of which seat it's in. Fair or not I guess it depends who you are.

MaffiFaloos
14th Jan 2010, 13:58
Dear Mestopholies, like you those of us who have been at this game a few years are tired of fighting and accept that "thats just the way it is", however to put you straight, at least two of the Capt's have been on the 340 since July 1999. Whichever numerical system you use that puts them in the left seat of a heavy, when some that remain as so called seniors, were at best being given the basic "this is an aeroplane" speech. This was not always the case. Captains seniority was primarily based on the generally accepted model of "time in the seat". This was changed not so long ago for reasons best known to those in power at the time thus making some Capts senior to the TRE who has just signed his license before the ink is dry. Sensible? Some would say not. What to do yanni.

Mephistopheles
14th Jan 2010, 14:49
MaffiFaloos, I was only disputing your claim that some had been in the left on the 330/340(it would have to have been the 340) for 15 years but from July 1999 until now(if my math doesn't fail me) is not quite 15 years.
No seniority list is perfect. Personally I liked the old points system but that was changed to help certain people transfer to the 330/340. The "time in seat" seniority works perfectly as long as there are no direct entry captains,which I am sure you know is not the case. So in this case an fo would have to throw away all the time he spent sitting in the right whilst guys joining & delaying upgrades would be senior.
Life's not fair:{:{:{

ironbutt57
14th Jan 2010, 15:47
Mafifaloos...Why does a TRE have to necessarily be senior??
The previous system in place made me senior to folks who had twice the time serving as a productive flight deck crewmember, how could that be fair?? This seniority system in place is about as fair as it gets..

Capt Quagmire
14th Jan 2010, 21:18
I have to agree with Ironbutt, so far in my GF career the seniority list is legitimate. Maybe there has been some dishonest movements. But not in my time.

I am quite upset about my career movements, being a lowly FO. I signed on with a bond hoping and expecting a full career.

The company now looks like it can not offer me that.

I am now having to weigh up the fact, that I love living in Bahrain, and my desire to work for a fully functional airline. GF is defiantly not on of those.

Good luck to all in your personal decisions.

behramjee
16th Jan 2010, 04:59
Our MNL honeymoon is finally over.

Today PAL has announced 4 weekly nonstop B 744 operated MNL RUH MNL flights effective March 28th 2010.

Config is 383Y and 50J. They will take away a lot of our market share from RUH to MNL as well as that of EK/EY/CX and QR.

Fubaliera
16th Jan 2010, 06:10
Good , now it will be easier to Non rev to Manila

Sal-e
16th Jan 2010, 18:42
Panama Jack
....other forum members who are having troubles grasping the basic economic concepts in our industry. Amongst other things, gives a good overview of revenue management programs and clues on such perplexing puzzles of why a full airplane does not necessarily mean a profitable flight.

I'm afraid you're quite right, PJ. I hate to say that Majali's intentions and immediate plans are really Gulf Airs last remaining cards at hand. The situation has been left to fester for too long that the options are now really quite limited.
The Gulf Air glory days of yore are history. To make recovery bearable, I suggest that the bitter facts be accepted and swallowed so we can move forward with what is left.

Panama Jack
16th Jan 2010, 18:49
Good , now it will be easier to Non rev to Manila

Easier . . . perhaps.

But if you are a Gulf Air non-rever, the self-ticketing agreement with PR is an ID75 for standby travel. Get ready to spend some pesos, siiiiiiir. :eek:

Albergineman
16th Jan 2010, 20:31
The Gulf Air glory days of yore are history. To make recovery bearable, I suggest that the bitter facts be accepted and swallowed so we can move forward with what is left.Specially those that had been affected by so many years of incompetent and uncommitted management.

:(

Sal-e
16th Jan 2010, 20:39
Well that is exactly what it is. Everyone has been picking at this company like crows until it is bone dry. At the end of the day, only the Bahrainis stand to lose out on an airline.
But as PJ has pointed out, major financial, structural, and cultural reforms are needed and needed now. It is not too late until the fat lady sings. Good luck GF.

borrowed light
16th Jan 2010, 20:52
So Sal-e,are you suggesting that Mr M.is on the right track?I seriously hope not.Evidence to the contrary is obvious for all to see,just open your eyes.Positive thinking is good but realism is better.

Sal-e
16th Jan 2010, 21:33
Not suggesting that at all. All I'm saying is that with the current state of affairs of Gulf Air, there is not much choice for whoever it is sitting on the chair, Majali or anyone.
Losing up to a million a day is as real as this gets. It is about time that proper control of revenue and a balanced book takes place. As someone mentioned before, no one can afford to run an airline badly, no one at all.

Panama Jack
17th Jan 2010, 04:57
It is worse than that Sal-e. In 2009, Gulf Air losses averaged considerably more than $1 million USD per day.

Given all of the circumstances and challenges faced, I am not sure whether this airline is simply cursed or a complete basket case. In any case, it is a sad state of affairs for employees who care. :(

GlobalFlyer
17th Jan 2010, 07:47
I couldn't help but notice how biased, negative and cynical most people in this thread are.

Look people, I don't work for Gulf Air, never have. In fact, I'm not a pilot. Looking at this from outside, I can tell you one thing. Gulf Air is an extremely sick entity in dire need of DRAMATIC change. In the midst of change, soul-searching and prioritization, LOTS of people are going to be disappointed, angered and perhaps enraged. This is ALL a part of the process.

Pilots, cabin crew, Bahraini employees who think they have a divine right to get a job and income in return for nothing, are against Majali. But ALL of this process started by him is a REAL plan that requires pride to be let go, sacrifices and yes, a LOT of lay offs involving some of the disgruntled people on this board.

Majali is an airline management veteran with a very clean record. Coming from Jordan, a country of limited resources, he understand where Bahrain is coming from. He knows very well that any turn-around plan cannot be modeled on Emirates, Qatar Airways or Etihad.

To come here and say 'this man is out to destroy the airline' is pure ignorance. To respectfully disagree with him is another thing. The man is betting that the only way to SAVE Gulf Air and maintain a national carrier for the Kingdom is through his plan. You either accept it or get on with your life, resign or simply Don't fly Gulf Air like me (until they fix their house).

Peace.

Not Gulfair CEO
17th Jan 2010, 09:06
ok Global let me have a Guess!
So you are not a pilot and not a gulf air staff but still love Majali....Hmm
so you must be one of those consultant that we see in costa coffee every day who are paid milloions to come up with the brilliant plan of opening 20 new destinations with out carrying out a single study on any.
or I could be wrong, you could be our new embrare sales agent.Did you know that your airplane designer forgot to put cargo holds in your cheap aircraft so no wonder its cheap to run with 5 tons of max payload.
your full of wisdom post is not new as most of us had the exact same sentiments, but we were wrong so you are too.

borrowed light
17th Jan 2010, 09:54
Well said Gulfair CEO.

T O G A Boy
17th Jan 2010, 10:20
GulfAir CEo, what can i say except that you banged the nail right on the head..well said:ok:

Skybeds
17th Jan 2010, 11:50
ok Global let me have a Guess!
So you are not a pilot and not a gulf air staff but still love Majali....Hmm
so you must be one of those consultant that we see in costa coffee every day who are paid milloions to come up with the brilliant plan of opening 20 new destinations with out carrying out a single study on any.
or I could be wrong, you could be our new embrare sales agent.Did you know that your airplane designer forgot to put cargo holds in your cheap aircraft so no wonder its cheap to run with 5 tons of max payload.
your full of wisdom post is not new as most of us had the exact same sentiments, but we were wrong so you are too.
well said!!!!!:ok:

Capt Hair Y Balls
17th Jan 2010, 12:33
GF

If you knew what you were talking about my old son you'de be dangerous, just another one of those know-it-all tossers who cost GF millions.

Majali has got is head up his a:mad:se and all the cronies are running around like headless chickens. No one knows what the F@@k is happening, today's plan is tomorrow's f:mad:ck up and round and round we go till the airline is driven to the ground. Majali's plan will nail the lid on GF's coffin once and for all. It's not a recovery plan lads it's an obituary, the patient died a long time ago. He was sucked dry

T O G A Boy
17th Jan 2010, 12:59
so sad so see that we brought in A SO CALLED AVIATION EXPERT to bury us alive. I like others, was decieved by Majali, that Gulf Air would stand on it's feet and regain part of it's glory and the great reputation it once had. Very obvious now that we have knelt down furthermore. Never in all these years in GF, have i witnessed the morale of my friends and colleagues rock bottom. I can clearly see myself packing my bags in the very near future, heading off to a greener pasture...Shame..:ugh:.Shame..:ugh:.Shame....:ugh:

Sal-e
17th Jan 2010, 13:16
Gentlemen,
being a fellow pilot as the most of you here, I have to agree that the necessary direction in which the company must head to, will have adverse affects on our careers.
Our desires and aspirations within this company, I hate to say, has no part whatsoever in the recovery of the airline. We all want to fly to new places with new aircraft. But I don't think Gulf Air can sustain this any longer without jeopardising the economy and the future of the next generation of Bahrainis. Many countries have been humbled by the poor running of their flag carriers. Bahrain is no different.

GlobalFlyer
....REAL plan that requires pride to be let go, sacrifices and yes, a LOT of lay offs involving some of the disgruntled people on this board.

I am sorry to say that I will be agreeing with GlobalFlyer with this one. We must all stop being in denial and face reality. GlobalFlyer was verbally attacked and accused without any of his/her statements taken on board. This sure sounds like denial on our part. This is completely natural. It has happened many times to many airlines before and it will happen again.
I thought I'd never say this but if anyone is no longer comfortable with their positions in Gulf Air or the direction in which Gulf Air is heading, we must be completely clear that our personal futures are completely in our own hands and are our own responsibilities.
Blue side up.

GlobalFlyer
17th Jan 2010, 14:16
Thanks S-ale.

As for all the other allegations concerning me. Let me start by saying no, I don't work for any GF consultant, nor do I work in the aviation industry! So I guess this could possibly calm you down here.

What is obvious on this message board is that a lot of disgruntled staff who know nothing about the airline business seem to think they should take over the airline's management and repositioning exercise.

Others it seems only moan and bi*ch constantly without ever suggesting commercially viable and well thought-out strategies.

One of you has correctly stated that Gulf Air is in fact DEAD commercially speaking. As such, you could say that Majali's plan is an attempt to resucitate the airline. I don't see how going on with business as usual in some of your views (fleet mix, staff numbers, same network) will lead to greener pastures.

Peace

Capt Hair Y Balls
17th Jan 2010, 14:35
Sal-e you're a Beep beep too, no questions asked

GF

What is obvious on this message board is that a lot of disgruntled staff who know nothing about the airline business seem to think they should take over the airline's management and repositioning exercise.
Well excuse me Mr Airline specialist, we've only been in this buisness for 34 years so I guess that that makes you who Look people, I don't work for Gulf Air, never have. In fact, I'm not a pilotknow a lot more from the Airline business than we do.
I could come up with a better growth plan for this airline if was blindfolded, drunk and had a death wish.
Who the hell are you kidding mate here. We can actually see right through your dumb comments.

Capt Hair Y Balls
17th Jan 2010, 14:41
This airline did not die due to non viable commercial moves, it died because of corruption, neglect and outright good old fashioned thievery. Period

Mustapha Rex
17th Jan 2010, 15:02
Please allow me to state the obvious for those who do not know or think they know yet pretend it has not happened.

Gulf Air is and has been the biggest budget mongering airline I have ever seen, nor can it make money, nor can it keep it.

all employees sad to say, do not care, and those who try to are quickly sidelined in favour of nationalisation...

It is indeed sad that an airline with such history and with so many great people, has failed with the wrong management, the wrong policies and no strategy.

So in light of the competition in the region, where do you expect it to go?

borrowed light
17th Jan 2010, 15:06
Captain Hairy Y Balls,you forgot to mention nepotism.

Capt Hair Y Balls
17th Jan 2010, 15:18
I stand corrected, nepotism too, these tosser VP's always pretended they knew everything :E

Duh
17th Jan 2010, 15:28
WOW, Globalflyer makes some of the most rational thoughts and expressions and gets a lynching to boot. I guess the truth really does hurt. I suggest some folks suck it up and get comfortable with the prospects of flying little airplanes around the Sand Pit.

Apache702
17th Jan 2010, 15:36
I m not an expert in management, but i think the ONLY solution is not to try to compete with this middle-east over-saturated market. Due to Gulfair HEAVY administration structure that is way too costly for the volume of traffic we have, the ONLY solution to this problem WITHOUT laying-off anybody and destroying family lives is to think BIGGER, a reasonable investement for the next 5-10 years to focus on a product specially adapted for BAHRAIN, Gulfair must work on the marketing side, improve his image, open new routes to America,and others... all American boys and girls and private contractor would all fly with us direct to the WEST, without those painfull stops in Quatar, Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Just keep the necessary small body aircraft to feed OUR network and take those WIDE-BODY aircraft FULL of happy passengers being served by the most professional crew to reach there destination safely in the easiest way.
Hire employees dedicated to the succes of the company.
Stop dealing with crooks.
Hire pilots that will save money (operation wise) that require skills and experience.
Hire cabin crew that can do the job properly, that is taking care of the customer, and being able to learn and execute.
Gulfair must understand that the customer is THE most important.
Gulfair must understand that his most important asset is the employees.
So it must treat them good and FAIR, because they are the one spreading the goods or the bads about the company, they are the company mirror...
These days you can you hear? Gulfair is this , Gulfair is that...people complaining, this has to stop.
My honest advice to become a WINNER again.
Cheers and good luck to all !

Panama Jack
17th Jan 2010, 16:44
but I think the ONLY solution is not to try to compete with this middle-east over-saturated market

Valid point, Apache702. It is interesting to see how Air Arabia is seemingly moving out of the GCC market by starting up operations outside of the Gulf region. The industry here has become, if you will excuse my language, a big-ego pissing-contest in which only the richest (although not necessarily the most business-savvy) will triumph.

GlobalFlyer- if you are who you say you are, then you have no vested interest either way in the future of Gulf Air. All the more reason for me take my hat off to show my respect for your observations, which even though I don't like the bad news and would like to hear a more rosy prognosis, I respect as being a fair assessment. I am reminded about the analogy of "the Sermon that you like best is probably the one that will do you the least amount of good." It is why I have said that I don't know whether the airline is cursed or a basket case. I am already sick and tired of every single CEO who comes in with a plan that doesn't spell expansion or the acquisition of 777's, A380's or 747's automatically being labeled a crook. Who wants to even touch such a venomous organization?

I don’t like what is happening with my career either, but that is beside the point. Each and every one of us knew that we were not joining a heavyweight the likes of Emirates or Qatar Airways when we joined Gulf Air. This may well be the second large airline that I lose my job from due to economic circumstances—ironically, the first time around, during the first day of my new-hire class we were told “you guys are at the right time at the right place! We are going to grow, lots of new equipment. . . your careers will be on an elevator ride upwards!” Not even six months later there were rumors of lay-offs, and 2 years later the company filed for bankruptcy protection, I was out on the street, and the house was up for sale. Been there, done that. It isn’t pretty for anybody and I keep my resume up-to-date.

GlobalFlyer, Sal-e, Duh . . . and a few others. Wash off the feathers and tar. Your eloquent comments and observations, whilst not appreciated by all, are logical, valid and given some of the crap written on this thread, rather refreshing. Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Loopy
18th Jan 2010, 15:04
FAA denies Embraer's request to withdraw E-170 rulemaking (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/01/13/337107/faa-denies-embraers-request-to-withdraw-e-170-rulemaking.html)

This Toy is going to save GF and take the market share from these guys.

Home - flydubai (http://www.flydubai.com/)

Air Arabia (http://www.airarabia.com/home)

Great low fares only on jazeeraairways.com (http://www.jazeeraairways.com/)

????? ???: ???? ??? ???? ????????? ???? ??????? ? ??? ???????? - flynas.com (http://www.flynas.com/ar/)

New Offer flysama, sama airlines, booking, Saudi Arabia, travel, vacation, flights, car rental, AVIS, hotels reservation, offers, travel insurance, SABB, flights to Riyadh, flights to Jeddah, Dammam, flights to Mumbai, Amman, Damascus, Aleppo, Alexan (http://www.flysama.com/Sama/English/MISC/prom.htm)

Wataniya Airways - Home > Wataniya Airways Experience > Premium Economy (http://www.wataniyaairways.com/eng/experienceWataniyaAirways/premiumEconomy/index.jsp)

Gulf Daily News » Business News » New low-cost carrier in UAE planned (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=267401)

Arabian Aerospace - New low cost start-up sets up shop in Amman (http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/article.php?section=air-transport&article=new-low-cost-start-up-sets-up-shop-in-amman)

Untitled Document (http://www.flyave.com/)

RAK Airways - Book your flight to Ras Al Khaimah, Calicut, Dhaka, Chittagong, Colombo, Beirut with RAK Airway (http://www.rakairways.com/)

home flysama, sama airlines, booking, Saudi Arabia, travel, vacation, flights, car rental, AVIS, hotels reservation, offers, travel insurance, SABB, flights to Riyadh, flights to Jeddah, Dammam, flights to Mumbai, Amman, Damascus, Aleppo, Alexandria, (http://www.flysama.com/Sama/English/)

Dustwing
18th Jan 2010, 16:22
WHY is that?

Skybeds
18th Jan 2010, 16:58
told you that those brazilian jets are defective!

CRUIZE
18th Jan 2010, 17:10
WHY FIGHTING.? nobody listens, best thing start polishing your C V AND GET OUT OF HERE.thats is a free advise, the GF dream is not and will not happen, last one switch the lights off please.

Da Do Ron Ron
18th Jan 2010, 17:30
Where's that ignore button ....

Dustwing
18th Jan 2010, 18:43
"This airline did not die due to non viable commercial moves, it died because of corruption, neglect and outright good old fashioned thievery.... you forgot to mention nepotism.....This Toy is going to save GF and take the market share from these guys..... told you that those brazilian jets are defective!"

May all the above affirmatives to be correct, may be not.

Gulf Air has a history yes, but many other airlines with bright histories have died during the slow process to absorb changes needed. To change and get rid of old habits pointed out above, is extremely dangerous and sad. Many people get used to the benefits only, and don't want to have open hands and minds to put efforts and make the company survive.

Looking from outside, the history repeats itself... always... a change in attitude is needed specially from those insiders that do not care or do not believe in a different fate.

GF is squeezed among big airlines from countries with bigger governmental resources to keep them, not only because they are profitable, Companies that serve as backbones to small states sharing jobs and globalization, developing business around it.

GF needs of course to change the focus of operation and rationalization, bringing embraer's... let's say.... 195's they can use the traffic offered in the middle east in better way, i don't want to compare Embraer's, Boeings, or Airbuses... they are made for different markets, but the jungle jet is affordable, safe, efficient and cheap... with good break even. Come on people, The CEO of Gulf Air is dealing with really bad stuff... just read at the top of this message. Many others will try to take the guy off GF.

Good luck
:ok:

Duster

Panama Jack
18th Jan 2010, 19:17
Never say it could never happen.

http://ferriandpartners.com/trends/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pan-am-logo.jpg http://www.irantransport.ir/airlines_khareji/imgs/GULF%20AIR%20LOGO.gif

EGGW
19th Jan 2010, 04:25
Right folks, I have hacked the worst of the language on this thread. Any further expletives will result in time off for offenders, like it or not. I realise passions are running high, but please try and remember to NOT post after a few glasses of amber nectar, or similar :ok:

EGGW

Mephistopheles
19th Jan 2010, 06:27
I would happily fly any airframe the board & the CEO decide will help dig us out the gigantic hole that we are in. But,we all know that is not the only problem-the massive over staffing & stealing are the most pressing problems since even if we reduce our overheads on the operations side there is the 3000 or so useless/unproductive staff in HQ. Where is the transparency & communications that Mr Majali promised? I am sure that he is aware of the lack of confidence in his plan(& if he isnt then we have even bigger plans than we think!) so why not address it & try to get us on his side? Perhaps he has nothing to say that may inpsire confidence.

Duh
19th Jan 2010, 09:12
Where is the transparency & communications that Mr Majali promised? I am sure that he is aware of the lack of confidence in his plan(& if he isnt then we have even bigger plans than we think!) so why not address it & try to get us on his side? Perhaps he has nothing to say that may inpsire confidence.

Mephistopheles....you probably are making some valid points. What was the response when you asked these questions or brought these issues up when talking or emailing the powers to be ? Shirley you have asked ? Or are you hoping that they will see it here on pprune and act accordingly ?:}

Panama Jack
19th Jan 2010, 09:46
In the news, today 19/01/2010:

JAL files for bankruptcy protection
By Ghim-Lay Yeo

Japan Airlines (JAL) has filed for bankruptcy protection, but will continue to operate as it undergoes a financial restructuring plan led by a government-backed body.

The Japanese government has pledged up to ¥900 billion ($10 billion) in funds to keep JAL operating while it restructures.

Japan's Enterprise Turnaround Initiative Corporation (ETIC), tasked to turn JAL around, will inject ¥300 billion into the carrier, says the corporation.

A separate ¥600 credit line will also be available to JAL, adds the ETIC.

Creditors have also agreed to forgive ¥730 billion of the airline's ¥2.3 trillion in debt.

Under the restructuring plan, JAL will renew its aircraft fleet, slash its workforce and cut unprofitable routes, says the airline.

The airline is expected to shed a third of its workforce - or 15,700 jobs - over the next three years.

It will switch from "low-efficiency large aircraft to high-efficiency small aircraft" and restructure and reconsolidate low-demand routes, adds JAL. Reports indicate that the airline will retire its 37 Boeing 747-400s.

JAL has obtained approval from the Tokyo District Court to continue payments for commercial transactions to keep its operations afloat while it restructures, says the airline.

These include payments for fuel, leasing fees and other supplies and services, it adds.

Airline tickets and the frequent flyer mileage scheme will also be protected, says JAL.

The airline will proceed with cuts to its current and former employees' pension schemes, after it earlier obtained the go-ahead from both groups.

JAL's board of directors, including representative director and president Haruka Nishimatsu, resigned today to take responsibility for the airline's financial situation, says the carrier.

A new management structure will be decided in early February, it adds. In the meantime, senior managing executive officer Masato Uehara will be JAL's temporary chief operating officer.

"We are confident that the swift revitalisation of JAL Group will be achieved after which JAL will be reborn as a leading airline group that could again lead the global airline industry," it adds.

JAL, a Oneworld carrier, is also in the process of considering offers of financial aid from two airline alliances.

Delta and SkyTeam have offered a $1 billion financing package to JAL to persuade it to switch alliances.

American Airlines, Oneworld and private investment firm TPG said last week it was prepared to invest up to $1.4 billion in JAL, sweetening its previous $1.1 billion offer.

Delta Air Lines and SkyTeam say it is "ready to provide assistance and support in any way possible" to JAL.

"Delta fully expects that JAL, with the support of ETIC, will be successful in its restructuring and return the airline to a position of prominence," it says.

Source: Flight Global (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/article.aspx?liArticleID=337298&PrinterFriendly=true)

As I said, never think that it cannot happen here. It is my personal opinion that most airlines will go through this sooner or later.

Mephistopheles
19th Jan 2010, 10:15
Duh, do you really think the big guns on the top floor want to hear from a grunt like myself? The lack of communications from them is a perfect example of exactly what is thought of us. I would stand a better chance of getting President Obama to listen to me than Mr Majali since he is already so sure of himself that he must obviously be in a complete state of denial. The so called rescue plan(it may well be that the only real plan is to rescue his bank account) changes day by day so what kind of aviation guru do you think your man is now? As to "hoping" that word was stricken from my vocabulary a long long time ago.

DesertHawk
19th Jan 2010, 10:23
hey DUH.

FACT: Was told that they dont have time to deal with us right now and we should just accept what they want or else!

borrowed light
19th Jan 2010, 10:49
Open door policy.........I love it!!!!!

Duh
19th Jan 2010, 11:50
Granted it was a bit tongue n cheek. Open door policy, apparently NOT.
And you say "your" man, uh NOT. I drive for another operator.
But it is a sad state of affairs when you are crapped on from all the way up the Chain of command. Bummer to say the least.

Panama Jack
19th Jan 2010, 14:45
A few months ago, a few of the "grunts" received a "friendly reminder" from middle management that it is inappropriate to communicate to Mr. Majali directly. If you have any grievances, thoughts, anecdotes, suggestions, etc. . . communicate them to your immediate supervisor for further action. While it effectively snuffs out participation and communciation, it also maintains a power-distance between the sheiks and serfs.

Without wanting to be negative, it is a key factor of the malaise that is unfortunately affecting Gulf Air.

http://www4.va.gov/ncps/PSRS/images/Software.gif

OK, how is any kind of turn-around strategy going to work without engaging the employees? Better communication is required and we need it From the Top!

brassplate
19th Jan 2010, 20:55
picture this, expat f/os at gf.

1. silence from the top.
2. more silence from the top.
3. half hearted attempts by a few local pilot friends that it will all be ok.
4. silence from the top.
5. half hearted attempts from fleet office to pretend plan is in progress.
6. silence from the top.
7. you get TOLD to move DOWN to the a320 fleet or the e-jet fleet.
8. silence from the top.
9. fleet office tells you command delayed by 3 to 5 years because 'wetleased' jordanians have been given permanent contracts and/or gf captains over 60 get 5 more years on the e-jets.
10. silence from the top.
11. neighbouring airlines stop hiring.
12. friends who left for neighbouring airlines get their commands on widebody.
13. gf asks for voluntary paycuts.
14. silence from the top.
15. gf still bleeding money because corruption and bad planning STILL rampant.
16. gf gets another ceo, fifth in five years.
17. silence from the top.
18. fleet office changes seniority rules to push 'bahrainisation'.
19. fleet size shrinks including tuktuks and jungle jets.
20. no warning, letter from the top terminating your contract without as much as a thankyou for wasting your life on gf.
21. you leave in denial, demoted, disgruntled, deflated, demoralised, and devastated for being that stupid fool that allowed gf to dance all over and wasted years of your career.
22. silence from the top.

Bombay HF
19th Jan 2010, 21:15
In regards to points 9 and 12.... When the decision was made to bring in the "short-term "contract Captains for the SQ A340s many experienced FOs left for Emirates and Dragonair. Most of them are now Widebody Captains and some are even TREs. It's very likely GF will repeat this exercise with the Regional Jet.

rockamora
19th Jan 2010, 21:17
Spot on brassplate !

Sal-e
19th Jan 2010, 22:43
Gulf Air introduces web check-in | ArabianSupplyChain.com (http://www.arabiansupplychain.com/article-3556-gulf-air-introduces-web-check-in/)

Gulf Air has launched web check-in for the first time.

The technology also enables advanced seat selection for passengers.

Gulf Air passengers flying from Bahrain can now check in online at gulfair.com by selecting the “Check-in” tab on the homepage 24 hours in advance and up to 90 minutes before the scheduled departure of their Gulf Air flight.

They can also choose a seat using the online interactive seat map, change their seat, and print their boarding pass before arriving at the airport.

The service enables passengers travelling with no baggage to proceed directly to the boarding gate.

For passengers with check-in baggage, dedicated ‘Web Check-in Baggage drop’ counters have been created at the airport.

The web check-in service is currently available for departures from Bahrain and will be rolled out across the rest of the Gulf Air network over the coming weeks. Initially launched in English, the service will also be available in Arabic from April onwards.

Gulf Air CEO Samer Majali, said: “Web check-in is an important addition to the Gulf Air travel experience we offer our customers and we are prioritising rolling out the service across our network as quickly as possible.

“As we celebrate the airline’s 60th anniversary this year and look ahead to the next 60, we will continue to live up to our pioneering legacy and work hard to improve our customers experience with the introduction of even more exciting and innovative products that meet our customer’s needs as well as deliver value.”

I must say this is a move the right direction. Now, for the revenue, marketing and commercial sections and to get rid of all those blood sucking travel agents.......

rockamora
19th Jan 2010, 23:23
How many of our pax have axes to a computer or even know how to use one ?
This is still a 3rd world country with most of our pax from a 3rd world countrys ! :D

canadair1
20th Jan 2010, 08:53
GF. The best that was.
Gulf Air in the seventies and early eighties was the most enjoyable airline to work for and passengers to fly with, second to none, left the rest way behind and those words or the like were regularly voiced by pax. The International awards were to cement the airlines service up there for the followers to try and reach.
The flight is only as good as the service and how it is given.
If a company gets it's selection and recruitment right, the stars shine bright.
Unfortunately where there is good there is bad.
Too many had their hands into the GF purse, soon the books balanced no more, that being only part of the ongoing problems of a once great airline.
Initially it was Emirates which began the head hunting from GF which was excelling with its team and then the emerging Gulf airlines needing proven stars.
To say that Gulf Air do not rate now is fair comment, one could not say it before as the babies of the Gulf airlines did not exist, it was in the main GF stars that lit their lights.
In it's day it was the leader.

outershell
20th Jan 2010, 15:54
Gulf Air's demise has been through a long period of time and it is sad to see the state of affairs that we have at the moment, both in staff morale and company deterioration.
The general consensus from all is that the situation had to be rectified in order to make a sustainable airline and the measure has been put in place with the appointment of a new CEO to do the required job.
Some may state that the plans that have been put into place through the appointment of the new CEO are not justified because of the fact that bahrain needs to be in the A-list of contenders for the region. Some may state that the measures have been put in place and gives the carrier the best chance to succeed in the future. Some may state that a combination of all measures should be put into place to deal with the crisis that not only gulf air is putting in place but other carriers around the region and the world to combat the sad state of affairs that was not just bought into face from the collapse of the world economy but had been there for a while and nobody intervened.
As harsh as it is to say but may be the world economy collapse was a good thing for the world so that companies could shake up their act and for them to realise the harsh situations that the companies are really in.
All of my comments are not going to suit everyone but the comments which I am going to make sit me on the border in relation to expansion and contraction.

I believe that as most have said Gulf Air cannot be the glory that it once was before, but that does not stop it from becoming an airline where people take pride in who they work for. The reduction of staff that is going to happen from JAL collapse, is a true reminder of what can happen to any airline throughout the world and has happened many time last year and I am sure more to go in the future. What makes JAL special is the fact that they are a private entity originally set up as a public entity and the staff that are involved in the airline take pride in working for them. May be this is the true spirit and culture of the japenese nation.

The airline does need to contract yes, but it also needs to expand in other areas. I am not just talking about going down the regional jet route I am talking widebody expansion and narrow body expansion as well as regional jet expansion.

The regional jet has many pro's and many con's. Many of the con's are through either the staff (pilots) fear of flying the aircraft because it is smaller than the 320, or the reputation that bahrain has the smallest aircraft in the region. None of these are valid points surely a reduction of passenger capactity on a given route should justify flying a smaller aircraft for cost saving measures. Well I think so! Yes it is a smaller aircraft and given some some new regional routes ie. into unknown parts of saudi and amongst other destination I am sure that it will do well and save money where the flying of a bigger aircraft would be more of a hindrance in cost.

The 320's are to be increased in fleet size well this makes sense as well given that some routes have bigger passenger number then the regional jet could hold plus there is cargo hold for extra baggage as well.

Wide bosy aircraft should not be contracted apart from the 340's we should keep at least 10- 15 330's as we have routes that are good routes on this that has the demand for this type of airraft.

So you can see from my points that I am sitting on the edge for both sides.

But what really needs to take place is massive restructuring of the company and taking advatage of the routes that either we operate or other companies operate to destination wise on increased capacity and maximising it to the full potential. Gulf air cannot hope to increase its passenger capacity by promotional offers etc its service compared to other carrier does not justify the cost, but it can take other passengers from other carriers by introducing the same service and flying with maximum capacity for that route thereby not operating as a loss on that sector.

Plans I would out in place:

1) Learn the structure of the organization.
2) Set up task force to audit and interview every employee within every department at home and outstation bases to learn their specific role with what their tasks to the organization are.
3) Review the results and increase productivity person to person by adding responsibility to each job role through reductions in staff levels however with the possibility of adding other job roles within the department.
4) Introduce stricter guidelines to working hours in line with other western countries including clock in clock out cards for every employee per department for check in and out and lunch and tea breaks with time to be allocated, introduce no mobile phone usage at work unless in an emergency or used in the allocated breaks, introduce increased salary based on performance with two appraisals a year per employee, introduce reduced sick pay days with incentives for employees who do not use any sick days in the year to gain benefits.
5) Set up task force to retrieve and report on a weekly basis via presentation of the passenger loads with gulf air per destination per day with same comparison to be taken from all the other airlines operating in and out of Bahrain, with task force set up at other bases to access information from all the other carriers that gulf air is competing with on the routes covered and not covered by gulf air to see the opportunity of other destinations.
6) All stations at home or outstation bases to have maximum turnaround time of 45 minutes per narrow body and 1 hour per wide body.
7) Review the productivity of BAS and other ground handling agents at home and outstation bases and procedures used to execute delivery of service including passenger, freight and baggage deliverance to the set flight. Introduce stricter guidelines in regard to closing of check in desks and closure of boarding gates. If review not satisfactory then implement other measures at home base or outstation bases to either set up gulf air brand handling service at home base or change handling agent.
8) Disable the positions of sky chef and sky nanny, keep the positions of FA, FJ, CS and CSM. Reduce to the minimum crew required on narrow body fleet (1 per 50), allow extra crew for wide body.
9) Review meals service guidelines with review of meals provided for all flights by necessitating measures to cut work loads of staff of on narrow body sectors however keeping full service carrier. Review drinks carriage to revert to small cans or small unit bottles to cut down staff workloads.
10) Maximize all pilots on to ensure that all pilots are doing minimum of 70 hours per month.
There are many more that need to be put in place but this is just a handful.

Please someone in management do something, at least communicate what is happening not just another letter to the pilots the problem really does not stem from there it stems from deeper inside.

Thanks all

DesertHawk
20th Jan 2010, 16:36
you sounds like u are thinking outershell. only point i have is decreasing cabin crew is a bad idea. we require a high level of service and thus requiring more cabin crew. on this note we have to make sure what we are getting are all at a top level. the sky chefs basically cost the same amount as a regular cs so whats the point of binning them? anyways all seems well in our little dream world this will not happen. talk and more talk is the norm

Skybeds
20th Jan 2010, 16:46
just heard the news. embraers are final.. expect an announcement from the management in 2 or 3 days in the bahrain air show.

outershell
20th Jan 2010, 17:08
DesertHawk, Thanks for you response.

You are right, the company should be increasing its level of service and correct in saying that this may not be the case if like the one of the points in the the plan that I would implement would mean leaving the number s in the cabin down.

However the minimum required that I am suggesting for 320 flights should be 4 and of course maximum current configuration 5 but maybe required in some circumstances depending on the flights. I know the guys and girls in the back work very hard not all of them nationality dependent.

Regarding getting rid of sky chefs, your right they get paid practically about the same anyway, but have you ever tried asking a sky chef to adopt a different position on the aircraft? The chances are that they will not know where to find the kit and know the duties that are required. Ok you could say all is required is training ot bring them up to speed. I am good with that but take their position away and put to a cabin position.

If they are sky chefs they should have a passion for either 1 cooking in which case why are are they here when their skills are going down hill and I am know for a fact that they could earn more outside of the company then in the company. Or 2 they like traveling and the thrill of working with an airline with all of the temptations around!

Either way GF does not need them as their role but put them in another role if they would like to go then your right you do not need to get rid of the staff member just the position.

One of the other reasons that I responding is that why do we all including me have this attitude of it will never happen. Of course we all know that but how about we formulate plans to turn around this airline and present it to them of the ideas that we all share.

WE ALL MUST BE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES BUT WHY SHOULD WE AS WE ARE NOT DOWNING THEIR PLANS JUST AIDING!

That is the sad bit from all of us.

Thanks ALL

T O G A Boy
20th Jan 2010, 20:21
Wise words outershell...
On a different note, i've heard that the first Embraer is here. Now whether to stay or just for the airshow, God knows.
I have seen the pilots that were supposed to be on the first batch of the Embraer course and they still dont know what is going on. They dont know when they're going for their course..
Does anyone here know the story or can someone pls shed some light....

behramjee
20th Jan 2010, 21:20
Hi,

FYI, GF has announced on the GDS officially that effective March 28th that BAH-LON-BAH flights have been once again reduced from 3 to 2 daily flights i.e. GF 005 and GF 008 have been canceled. This is valid for the entire IATA Summer 2010 schedule as of now!

In other news:

a) MNL-BAH has been increased to double daily flights using the leased A 332s which have 18J class + 256Y class seats.

b) All daily flights to FRA and CDG in the summer season to be flown with A 332s and not A 343s.

behramjee
21st Jan 2010, 02:42
Seems like Cathay Pacific is pretty optimistic on their Saudia flights.

CX has officially announced that they are increasing JED-HKG from 4 weekly to daily flights all flown via DXB using an A 333. This will impact our market share a little that is bound to MNL in particular due to the fact that even though CX maybe a 2 stop flight, it is a first choice airline for many Filipinos living in UAE and Saudi Arabia.

boiler
21st Jan 2010, 03:23
GF 005 and GF 008 have been canceled. This is valid for the entire IATA Summer 2010 schedule as of now!

Actually, this is valid permanently and not just for summer. From what I hear, the slots have been sold to another airline.

Skybeds
21st Jan 2010, 08:50
well even though when GF was making losses , the airline had some shred of dignity.. but now thats gone too.
Good luck every one

Panama Jack
21st Jan 2010, 11:16
Just published on Air Transport Intelligence news:

BAHRAIN 2010: Gulf Air to lease Embraer 170s for regional routes
By Murdo Morrison

Gulf Air is to acquire its first regional jets, two leased Embraer 170s, as part of the ailing Bahrain flag-carrier's major revamp.

Under the three-year dry-lease, with provision to extend for a further five, Gulf Air will take delivery of the first aircraft in February.

The jets will be configured with seven business-class and 60 economy-class seats, with in-flight entertainment.

Confirming the initial agreement during the Bahrain Air Show today, Majali said that Gulf Air would continue to carry out a "full analysis of all regional jets from Bombardier, Embraer and others" and "listen to feedback from our customers" with a view to placing a larger regional jet order.

"We see the long-term potential for up to 10 aircraft," he says.

Majali says the 170s will allow Gulf Air to increase frequencies around the Middle East and "test new markets with very little risk". He adds: "Our objective is to serve every Arab capital with at least a double-daily sevice."

He says Gulf Air is in "ongoing negotiations" with Airbus and Boeing over existing narrowbody and widebody orders.

BAHRAIN 2010: Gulf Air to lease Embraer 170s for regional routes (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/01/21/337415/bahrain-2010-gulf-air-to-lease-embraer-170s-for-regional-routes.html)

Skybeds
21st Jan 2010, 14:14
i wouldn't like to be in that aircraft for more than 1 hour

G-FULL
21st Jan 2010, 14:51
Pic of today's static;

http://i48.tinypic.com/dh5uzk.jpg

wadefac
21st Jan 2010, 19:59
From the pic above it would seem that the "Golden Falcon" has lost its head.....which would explain everything...... :p

but then wad-de-fac

IFE
21st Jan 2010, 20:08
WOW. A headless Golden Falcon on the fin.

How optimistic that could be.

Not Gulfair CEO
21st Jan 2010, 21:48
I believe some one did mention some thing about being headless.
oh yes found it.

Majali has got is head up his ahttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gifse and all the cronies are running around like headless chickens

Duh
22nd Jan 2010, 00:53
Unbielevable! Couldn't they find a professional paint shop to adjust the size of the golden chicken to fit the tail. It must of been done at a local paint shop. Truly sad :}

Bombay HF
22nd Jan 2010, 04:41
It looks like the new font and tail logo will be on all of the GF aircraft. This is the new A320 outside the paint shop in Manchester. A shame really, GF had the nicest livery around i thought.http://www.airliners.net/photo/Gulf-Air/Airbus-A320-214/1641957/&sid=781599cbc07fd31484fe432d123109ab

Bombay HF
22nd Jan 2010, 04:43
Pic woudn't upload but you can see it on Airliners.net.

Dessert Aviator
22nd Jan 2010, 05:32
It's on the otherside, Port or leftside. What we need is a Phoenix:ok:

boiler
22nd Jan 2010, 05:58
The falcon is like this on all the new A320s. This is the best the JPA guys could come up with to justify the millions they were paid.

ironbutt57
22nd Jan 2010, 06:15
Cant they sort out this livery?? wtf??

Mephistopheles
22nd Jan 2010, 08:48
I believe that there is more profit for some by destroying GF than by make it a success. How else could you explain all the crazy decisions made by the board & Majali? I also thought that with Zain as the head of the board we might stand a chance but not anymore, you will witness even more crazy destructive decisions made within the next few weeks/months & since the entire board & CEO are all in cahoots there is only one hope for GF & that is the crown prince. Will he or wont he step in?

Skybeds
22nd Jan 2010, 09:05
I believe that there is more profit for some by destroying GF than by make it a success. How else could you explain all the crazy decisions made by the board & Majali? I also thought that with Zain as the head of the board we might stand a chance but not anymore, you will witness even more crazy destructive decisions made within the next few weeks/months & since the entire board & CEO are all in cahoots there is only one hope for GF & that is the crown prince. Will he or wont he step in?

well im almost sure that the crown prince would intervene.. from what i know he actually praised majalis plan.. but i guess if he would actually looksat the e 170 , he might change his mind.

Duh
22nd Jan 2010, 10:06
Well, if your flights around the Gulf region are anything like ours(average 50-75 Pax), then all your new Boss has to say to the Prince is:
A320 with 60 pax LOSE lots Money
E-170 with 60 pax break even or make Money

I guarantee the prince will say buy more E-170's. DUHHHHHHHHHHH:}

Che Guevara
22nd Jan 2010, 10:19
Cant they sort out this livery?? wtf??

Looks like they used an A-320 sticker, figured it out after they realized there was two extra stickers left over....well done lads :rolleyes:

brassplate
22nd Jan 2010, 10:47
behold, the:

Golden Sparrow

flyboy320
22nd Jan 2010, 10:56
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/6/3/1/1634136.jpg
another sad one!

Skybeds
22nd Jan 2010, 11:09
majali is seriosuy a mean dictatore... i feel sorry for the 340s..
in conclusion every body hates the embraer.. the318s would of been 10 times better.. most of the GF staff are familier wit the 320 family it as GFs fleet would mostly consisit with the 320 family and it would be easier to get the 318 hence the training would not cost as much .. well its another bad decision which GF has made... i cannot recall if the airline has ever made a good decision for the past few years (except for the fact that they ordered those 333s)

22nd Jan 2010, 12:03
Its A VERY SAD DAY for GULF AIR

bus_aviator
22nd Jan 2010, 14:28
Well boys and girls, word has it that GF has purchased an embraer sim at the show today, so it's not just a one year plan to see how it goes, they are here to stay and many more to come I guess, Unless mr. m has some seriously desperate pilots that need to do their embraer sim's in bahrain.

Che Guevara
22nd Jan 2010, 16:11
Was that the world renowned GAA or Gulf Air who bought the sim?

brassplate
22nd Jan 2010, 21:15
this company never ceases to amaze me. even as they spiral downwards into oblivion, they are still going for second hand crap from royal jordanian. haven't they learnt in the recent past about dealing with second hand crap from the jordanians?
no longer golden falcon or golden sparrow.
now Golden Chicken

G-FULL
23rd Jan 2010, 05:44
Well boys and girls, word has it that GF has purchased an embraer sim at the show today, so it's not just a one year plan to see how it goes, they are here to stay and many more to come I guess, Unless mr. m has some seriously desperate pilots that need to do their embraer sim's in bahrain.

Who said it was 1 year? It's for 3 years 2 E170 leased starting from March then in June, 2 more woulc come.

Duh
23rd Jan 2010, 06:25
G-Full,
the Gulf Air pilots will be in denile(not the river:}) when there are 10 of those Embraers parked at the airport.

Panama Jack
23rd Jan 2010, 08:43
Well lookie here:

Etihad in talks to purchase Mitsubishi MRJ (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/01/20/337343/etihad-in-talks-to-purchase-mitsubishi-mrj.html)

Looks like it's the beginning of the small-plane fetish here in the Gulf, with Oman Air, Gulf Air, and now Etihad bringing <100 seat non-Airbus/Boeing airframes online. Wondering if the Sukhoi Superjet or the ARJ 21 will make inroads?

Fubaliera
23rd Jan 2010, 09:22
Guys even though I work next door, Ive been a big fan of Gulf Air since I was a kid. The Ejet deal isnt the most glamourous or lucrative jet for the pilot, but give the project as a whole a chance. Saudia,Ailitalia, China Airlines,Us Air and many other are using the jet as a supplement. As a ID90 pax I love taking Gulf Air. This new Jordanian CEO has his neck on the line as well, the reason he came is to be in the public eys, as he was unknown out of Jordan, now hes known throught the arab world . This man is gonna do his best to bring GF back to a normal level for his own personal glorification and reputation.

Panama Jack
23rd Jan 2010, 10:40
I agree with your observations, Fubaliera.

It is said that over three decades ago in pre-Deregulation America, during his tenure at the US Civil Aeronautics Board, Chairman Alfred Kahn astonished Frank Borman and other Eastern Airlines executives, who were trying to educate him about the merits of different aircraft, by admitting that "I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are all marginal costs with wings."

Airliners are capitalist tools. I appreciate the economic justifications for Embraers and believe, that as a business decision, the Embraer is a good choice for the airline. Gulf Air's mandate, if not to become profitable, is to create value for the Kingdom of Bahrain. Pilots, ever conscious of the vulnerability of their careers, are not surprisingly looking at it in a similar way as an airline might. There are numerous variables going into this equation, but once all summed up, it determines how people will react to it. The next few months will be interesting.

Mike.Park
23rd Jan 2010, 14:03
Look out gents! There are 150 bahraini women heading your way! :}

Gulf Air and Tamkeen have signed an agreement to encourage more Bahrainis, particularly females, to join the national carrier in key customer-facing positions with a major focus on opportunities to become members of the airline’s cabin crew.

The agreement, made today at Bahrain International Air Show, will provide training for 150 Bahraini females to join Gulf Air’s Cabin Crew.

Recognising Bahrain’s traditional family values and the importance placed on home life, Gulf Air has developed new flexible scheduling benefits for local Bahraini females joining as Flight Attendants.

Recruits can opt to fly only turn around flights, this means that they will not be required to take overnight flights. For those wanting to fly the airlines entire network this is also an option.

These benefits will not only enable them to make use of their skills gained in higher education, such as speaking foreign languages, but also ensure they do not miss out on their family life at home in Bahrain while at the same time fulfilling their ambitions to explore the different cities in the region.

The airline employs a total of 1500 cabin crew of which less than 27% are Bahraini, an issue which the airline would like to address.

Source: TravelDaily (http://www.traveldaily.co.uk/AsiaPacificNews/Detail.aspx?Section=17169)

wapses
23rd Jan 2010, 14:09
Heard that CCO Willy Boulter has gone. True? Been there almost a whole year!

DesertHawk
23rd Jan 2010, 17:05
what an absolute joke!!! this is getting scary. not only are they showing favortism but they are making are cabins dangerous as well!!! how can Majali claim every employee is equal with an announcement like this? anyways just another sad reason this airline is heading down a scary and dangerous track. :ugh::ugh:

Panama Jack
23rd Jan 2010, 18:14
I don't understand what the problem is.

Female cabin crew are nothing new at Gulf Air. There are, at present, one or two female Bahraini Cabin Crew and a few months ago (September 2009?) the inflight magazine ran an article about women in their careers in Bahrain, including one Bahraini lady who was cabin crew back in the glory days of the airline, L1011's and all. We ran through a bit of this when our first female Bahraini pilot came on-line and a few males were expressing their doubts about the suitability of it all. That issue is, thankfully, largely behind us-- she is still with us, promoted to flying the widebody fleet, and we now have a few more Bahraini pilots of the opposite sex.

As far as incompetence, that is not unique to nationality or sex and to paint a group with a broad brush is both unfair as it is inaccurate. Not all males, or females, or expats, or Bahrainis are competent or incompetent. That is where a good selection and monitoring process is important. Personally, I like the idea of seeing women take on meaningful employment and being part of the mainstream. However, I expect female Bahraini cabin crew to carry their share of the load as I would any other colleague. I support their rights, but am not willing to pander or mollycoddle either.

Sal-e
23rd Jan 2010, 18:31
Some people are still taking issue in which direction the company is going. Everyone should understand that this airline does not have limitless resources to continuelly top up the coffers. What is so hard to understand? Or are our pilots so mentally challenged?

Mike.Park
23rd Jan 2010, 19:07
Perhaps the big M knows something we don't.. is there a commercial argument to be made by increasing bahrainization rates in all departments?

I should bloody well hope so given the announcements of late

IFE
23rd Jan 2010, 19:17
Look like your dismantle plan of getting rid of widebodies (to your relatives in the US), getting RJs, provide services to every Arab capital at least twice daily, finding niche market, and your claim of having the most extensive network in the ME are now being challenged by your neighbors. EY and QR are looking to match everything you put on the table. It would be very stupid to think that our neighbors do not have the same data, information, and analysis that you have. Now what? Niche market? Do you think that they do not know about it? The only reason that do not want to jump into Iraq market because, we who flew there know, that loading is not as high as expected. Remember "record high" booking? What a BS because we fly there and we know the fact that it is not a "record high".

Sorry to say, but airline is a very capital intensive business. And if your airline does not have that, then it is too bad because your competitors have plenty and willing to trade punches with you. Too sad to learn that your mission is to get this airline back into black so that Mumtalakat could exit with a hope of making some profit. But, with your neighbors willing to trade punches, your airline will most likely be knocked out. TKO.

What will then be your next excuse?

Yo767
23rd Jan 2010, 20:08
The only reason that do not want to jump into Iraq market because, we who flew there know, that loading is not as high as expected. Remember "record high" booking? What a BS because we fly there and we know the fact that it is not a "record high".

Dude, get your facts straight. A quick look at AIMS will show you 2 flights a day to both BGW and NJF most of the time on A330. The last 4 times I went there I was full of pax and cargo (As much as the Tuk Tuk can take).:D

ironbutt57
23rd Jan 2010, 20:22
Why should we "look out" Mr Park?? I rest assured that any cabin crew regardless of nationality that are rostered as my crew are competent..:ok:

bus_aviator
23rd Jan 2010, 20:38
g-fool to answer your question, 1 simulator for operating 2 airplanes does not make sense unless you're going to have an extensive fleet (or money to blow, not our case anymore)...soooo it means that he is not bata testing the embraer in the gulfair fleet make up to see how it goes...he has long ago decided that the jungle jets will come ALL of them however many that may be. TWO: that little sign outside the palace entrance "ab initio sign-up around the corner" means you now have a cheap sim to train the new guys on (also note the GAA sign that has been put up on the torture... I mean training centre)...now to explain it to you simply the ab initio's will push from the bottom while we birds in the middle will be squeezed...hmmm 7 years to command? and then command on the e jet? or leave....all = NATURAL ATTRITION....GET IT?

ironbutt57
23rd Jan 2010, 21:26
I take a personal exception to the comment "torture center"..we are training Airline pilots..it's a huge responsibility for all involved..

Panama Jack
24th Jan 2010, 01:48
bus_aviator, getting an EMB E-series simulator may be a very smart business move for GAA. The E-series fleet is growing in the Middle East and as far as I know there is no simulator available to operators in the area. Potential customers, at the moment, include:

Gulf Air
Royal Jordanian
Oman Air
Saudi Aramco (if GAA can get an FAA curriculum approved)
Saudi Arabian Airlines

Let's not forget the few operators out in India with their E-jets. Not sure where they are sending their people.

G-FULL
24th Jan 2010, 05:21
To summarize;

GF will get total of 4 E170 this year, GAA bought an Embraer simulator and soon, you will have Female Bahraini Cabin Crew who will only work day sectors (Intra-Gulf) on the tuck tuck :)

Che Guevara
24th Jan 2010, 05:57
PJ

I think you will find that Saudi has their own Embraer sim.

Albergineman
24th Jan 2010, 06:29
The "natural attrition" is giving its first results. The senior FO's are already resigning...

No one want to be forgotten as an ERJ first officer after working here for several years and including the first 20 to be moved, they are around 50 first officers that became "redundant" due to the "take or leave" police.

Accept it or not, this is the fact, a good opportunity to get rid of the "necessary evil".

ShirleyNot
24th Jan 2010, 07:41
Just out of interest which one is the tucktuck now? I think the embryo is more like one of those tucktucks that you pedal, and the 320 is the motorised version.

dundem
24th Jan 2010, 10:13
I nominate shirleynot for the post-of-the-thread (so far). :D:ok:

DesertHawk
24th Jan 2010, 11:12
ironbutt...... and others:) first off maybe painting all them with same brush is not true. i just personally believe this will blow up in there face. and ironbutt wake up to reality!!!! if u think everyone u fly with is competent ur head is in the sand. we have some great people here and some real well u know!!! i dont have to explain what has happend to the standards in some recent cases i have personally experienced! p.s not a attack just a fact. 1500 back end would mean some are not so good just as some up front are not so good, i thin this is common sense?? no?

Mike.Park
24th Jan 2010, 12:53
Gulf Air sells two Airbus A340 to US affiliate (http://gulfnews.com/business/gulf-air-sells-two-airbus-a340-to-us-affiliate-1.573022)

Mephistopheles
24th Jan 2010, 13:04
I believe they were sold for the bargain price of US$15 million each where as they could easily have fetched double that. I wonder if the "affiliate of Apollo Aviation Group" has anything to do with the board or he may even be sitting on the board!

Skybeds
24th Jan 2010, 13:28
Gulf Air as it strives to become a profitable and sustainable airline by 2012
is that a joke?

Panama Jack
24th Jan 2010, 13:56
I think you will find that Saudi has their own Embraer sim.

I didn't know that.

Good to hear that they found buyers for the A340's. From an emotional standpoint, it is sad to see the 4-holers go but I guess it is necessary in the end- more of a liability than an asset in terms of costs and service product (yucky 1st and Business Class). Anybody know when they will be making their way across the Atlantic?

EK2EYengineer
25th Jan 2010, 03:05
They already crossed the atlantic last month and now under the Axe & chainsaw

Ion-athan
25th Jan 2010, 09:11
I think that Crew Planning run out of excuses on why the roster is not out yet.
OOOOOiiiiiiiiiiiii ANYONE HOOOOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAME OVER
25th Jan 2010, 09:56
It seems that pilots scheduled to be transferred to the mini jet are resigning, that is enough to cause disruption to their plans for next month. No wonder the rosters are not out yet. :ugh:

25th Jan 2010, 09:56
Fly Dubai 23bd inc tax, Why not get Dash-8s Spend 100mill us when dying on a daily bases financially .There is 0 profit by getting the 170.0 logic-0 common sense WHY can no one stop this madness:ugh:

brassplate
25th Jan 2010, 11:03
if they're stupid enough to condone this madness, what makes you think they're wise enough to stop it?
take for example, ANTOINE ABOUD!!
overpaid, underqualified, rostering idiot!! gets paid more than most so he thinks this gives him licence to be a complete tosser toward the pilots ensuring their lives are miserable!!!
i will leave this airline for a number of many many reasons. but this idiot is enough reason all by himself. tosser!!!!

ddd
25th Jan 2010, 12:48
Do these Bahraini cabin attendants realize that working the daily turn around flights (no night stops for them) are the hardest flights to work? Will they be able to stand on their feet for 8+ hours a day?

And will they serve other people that they normally won't come close to and call them "sir" and "madam"? This is going to be interesting !

DesertHawk
25th Jan 2010, 13:33
crew control does not need excuses becasue they have a free pass. lets be honest guys there is NO consequences for people in this airline. there are no checks and balances in that office period! if they knew how a real crew control should work they would fir all of them starting with AA and overhaul. that being said someone would have to WANT to come here and WANT to fight all the BS to actually make it work!!!

Skybeds
25th Jan 2010, 17:59
i heard majali say that he doesn't care what type of aircraft GF gets and sees them as profit margins (or something like that).
what an idiot i guess he barely cares about the product GF has to offer.instead he would like the airline to make money so the guy could get his commision.

Panama Jack
26th Jan 2010, 04:36
Skybeds, are you a Troll? I'm giving the you benefit of the doubt by telling myself that you must be trolling.

a_320busdriver
26th Jan 2010, 06:08
Here you go....off pilot career centre website :

PILOT CAREER CENTRE - Latest Pilot Jobs, Pilot Resume / Pilot CV Design, Interview Preps and more... (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/)

Gulf Air Looking to hire A320 Captains
Last Update 2010/01/25: Looking to hire A320 Captains.

Its going from bad to worse for any senior FO's who were in line for command this year. Now they are going as FO's on the ERJ and GF gets DEC's!

Ion-athan
26th Jan 2010, 06:19
Aaaouuuuchhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That Hurt

Ion-athan
26th Jan 2010, 06:58
I can not hold inside me my revolutionary-Anarcho backround....
If that happens I suggest no F/O must show up for work. Everybody call sick for 1 day. But for a real strike we must be present outside of the company protesting.
How about it let 's be initiative and do the first pilots strike in the Gulf Region.
It sounds like fun :}:}:}

Panama Jack
26th Jan 2010, 08:27
If true, that would be the proverbial "turd in the punch bowl." But I question the accuracy of the claim.

ironbutt57
26th Jan 2010, 10:30
It's an agency on a fishing expedition

Mike.Park
26th Jan 2010, 16:37
Was just reading through the criteria (http://jobs.gulfair.com/Gulfairframe/VacancyDetail.aspx?VacancyID=18868) for Bahraini cabin crew..one of the requirements is that your single, and have no children..

Is this an industry standard requirement for cabin crew? :bored:

Why would having a boyfriend or a husband be disqualifying?

GAME OVER
26th Jan 2010, 16:52
Some hope to fly a bigger one :rolleyes:

Proposed stretch dubbed E-195X by Embraer (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/01/26/337597/proposed-stretch-dubbed-e-195x-by-embraer.html)

GAME OVER
26th Jan 2010, 16:59
Some more from Mr. M :rolleyes:

BAHRAIN AIR SHOW: Gulf Air awaits regional jet feedback (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/01/26/337616/bahrain-air-show-gulf-air-awaits-regional-jet-feedback.html)

Panama Jack
26th Jan 2010, 19:17
because they have to be free for the pilots on the nightstops... and the long hauls...

if only it was so. :( OK, maybe the rest of you are more fortunate. :oh:

brassplate
26th Jan 2010, 21:50
let me once again refer you to my earlier list of possibilities/probabilities:

picture this, expat f/os at gf.

1. silence from the top.
2. more silence from the top.
3. half hearted attempts by a few local pilot friends that it will all be ok.
4. silence from the top.
5. half hearted attempts from fleet office to pretend plan is in progress.
6. silence from the top.
7. you get TOLD to move DOWN to the a320 fleet or the e-jet fleet.
8. silence from the top.
9. fleet office tells you command delayed by 3 to 5 years because 'wetleased' jordanians have been given permanent contracts and/or gf captains over 60 get 5 more years on the e-jets.
10. silence from the top.
11. neighbouring airlines stop hiring.
12. friends who left for neighbouring airlines get their commands on widebody.
13. gf asks for voluntary paycuts.
14. silence from the top.
15. gf still bleeding money because corruption and bad planning STILL rampant.
16. gf gets another ceo, fifth in five years.
17. silence from the top.
18. fleet office changes seniority rules to push 'bahrainisation'.
19. fleet size shrinks including tuktuks and jungle jets.
20. no warning, letter from the top terminating your contract without as much as a thankyou for wasting your life on gf.
21. you leave in denial, demoted, disgruntled, deflated, demoralised, and devastated for being that stupid fool that allowed gf to dance all over and wasted years of your career.
22. silence from the top.

i would like to change item18 to:
18. the conditions are such that senior expat f/os end up resigning in disgust as conditions ie DECs, wetleased pilots getting permanent contracts etc etc.
plus
23. all that silence resulting in the above plays it all into gf's hands ie pushes 'bahrainisation' without much effort on their part but by simply accelerating natural attrition.

sirwa69
27th Jan 2010, 04:39
I do hope that they remember the last time that Bahraini's were pushed up we got a Captain called Sam :eek:

brassplate
27th Jan 2010, 07:15
you mean SAM SONIER?oh gf has at least one of those who is/are willing to repeat history (if not already)!!

Mephistopheles
27th Jan 2010, 08:49
sirwa69,
I do hope that they remember the last time that Bahraini's were pushed up we got a Captain called Sam
I believe that we have had more upgrades for Bahrainis than you think & most were not "pushed" as you say, but me thinks you are a tad racist old boy. Time for you to relax & take a long slow look around you.

brassplate
27th Jan 2010, 10:28
....but me thinks you are a tad racist old boy. Time for you to relax & take a long slow look around you.

i look around me and see a high proportion of expat f/os failing their commands and bahrainis who shouldn't be captains at all getting theirs. facts speak for themselves.

Skybeds
27th Jan 2010, 11:37
a new era is approaching GF (again) and nothing could change it sadly.. dont worry 3 years later there could be another restructure plan and the endless cycle wont stop:ugh:

T O G A Boy
27th Jan 2010, 12:52
Brass, u truly amaze me. One day u write a lot of sensible stuff which i admire and then u follow it up with nonsense.
I do know for a fact that their are quite a few bahrainis that didnt make it thru their line command assessment nor the command interview stages.
One thing that we got to give GF and with credit is that their training is without a doubt one of the finest u can come across.
And just for your info there are some bahrainis Capts and FOs who are thinking of leaving or have actually resigned during this recent crisis and trust me with much more to come. Some really good pilots too...Shame on you GF for letting these guys walk away easily from your pink palace.

Mephistopheles
27th Jan 2010, 16:28
brassplate

I can only think of a few guys that have failed their upgrades & believe me they all deserved it. 4 guys out of countless many does not seem like a high proportion to me but that's just my personal opinion. Did you fail your command by any chance? Maybe you should use the wonderful FORDEC model & re-check your facts.