PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Mike.Park
7th Aug 2009, 13:27
Most govts right around the world are advising against all travel to Iraq for the obvious reasons.

I don't think it's fair on pilots with families to be flying into a war zone, and I hope nobody is bullied into doing so against their wishes. Any take ups should be completely voluntary.

DesertHawk
7th Aug 2009, 15:16
we officially work for an airline that does not give 2 ****s about our well being!!:ok:i am amazed at the total lack of respect for us! we are basically workers to them and that is how we are being treated!:=

Panama Jack
7th Aug 2009, 15:29
I might have to eat my words some day, but . . .

This may be one of those very rare instances of where the Government of Bahrain and Gulf Air were able to get traffic rights and set up operations before the regional competition. The rebuilding of Iraq will be the next gold mine. Check out the fares on the Gulf Air website-- they are anything but a give-away.

The guinea pigs, Royal Jordanian and Turkish have already been doing Iraq operations for a while. I also remember with some misgivings the pictures of the DHL Airbus A300 with the wingtip blown off. However, this was over 4 years ago, and the situation has changed in Iraq over those years. For sure, I prefer Bangkok over Baghdad as my holiday destination, but there is demand for service. As for a war zone, I am increasingly starting to wonder about some of the "friendly" places we fly to, like Peshawar, Lahore and Islamabad. I certainly don't want to go into town at any of these places either and the same would hold true for any of the new "exciting" destinations.

In any case, I suspect that within the year Bahrain Air, Emirates and possibly Qatar Airways and Etihad tails will also be present at the Baghdad International Airport and other airports in the country. On the upside of the equation, air transportation plays a positive roll in the development of a country. As commerce increases, Iraq will continue to stabilize. Hopefully Gulf Air will make some good revenue along the way.

The challenge at the moment, it would seem, is for Gulf Air to not ignore its crews which will operate into Iraq and to positively address their legitimate concerns.

Che Guevara
7th Aug 2009, 18:45
This may be one of those very rare instances of where the Government of Bahrain and Gulf Air were able to get traffic rights and set up operations before the regional competition

Surely you don't think that the regional competition could not have also got these traffic rights if they had wanted to? I am absolutely certain that the Iraqi government would roll out the red carpet for anybody at all who wants to go there.

Remember, Iraq is still considered a war zone by the majority of responsible governments in the world. Perhaps the regional competition is being careful not to rely on information from private US 'security contractors' like Sabre.

No, I don't think this some kind of coup or one up on the competition, this is a very serious issue and the decision should not be taken lightly. Yes, it is possible that nothing will happen, on the other hand...
By the way, does your Life Insurance and your mortagage insurance cover allow you to go to a war-zone, mine does not.

Cheers and good luck

DesertHawk
7th Aug 2009, 19:01
well stated Che, guys lets be honest the real problem is no one can ensure anything in Iraq. And that is a FACT. just open the paper look at some things going on and it is obvious that Iraq is still a rapidly changing environment that is not secure. Also if we do end up flying there is GF capable of canceling flights and making adjustments on a daily basis due to ever changing safety risks? I really hope that I am wrong but this has a horrible stench about it especially with the Americans leaving now and increased risks in my opinion. I may be wrong, but I am not testing my theory personally guaranteed!

daidalos
7th Aug 2009, 20:59
Che, you wrote:
"Remember, Iraq is still considered a war zone by the majority of responsible governments in the world. Perhaps the regional competition is being careful not to rely on information from private US 'security contractors' like Sabre."

I tried very hard to resist to post a message in this thread.
But, reading the post above, I am wondering about what "responsible governments" means!
My interpretation of resposible governments is that, yes they are responsible for all this mess in the area!. So they are the last to talk about security and safety in the area.
Said that, I am not keen to go there, but I believe that since there are commercial airlines going already there, we will not the first to set foot in Bagdad.

DesertHawk
7th Aug 2009, 22:52
"My interpretation of resposible governments is that, yes they are responsible for all this mess in the area!"

to be honest this is not a political site who really cares why, i am more interested in SAFETY and that is my concern. The facts speak for themselves. Almost all governments say do not travel and some specifically state the airport is a target. So i guess GF safety audit team are real safety experts that outweigh most governments:):ok:

ODMEA
7th Aug 2009, 23:56
As per all other GF routes, as soon as the local competition starts the Baghdad run GF will fade into half hearted loads because of its crap aircraft and service. GF will have a short lived monopoly from the gulf -12 months at best. Better than nothing.

"Beggers (read GF) can't be choosers"

Maybe they can fly their old A340's into Iraq have them blown up and claim insurance and thus renew their fleet:suspect:
Oddy

Sal-e
8th Aug 2009, 00:30
I'll have to agree with Panama Jack on this one. Apart from a buck to be made, servicing Iraq will be an integral part of the regions recovery and is most certainly a catalyst for Iraq's security and economic recovery.
Here is an important point worth pondering. What if GF and RJ were the only carriers granted air services exclusivity as just reward for operating there? Then it becomes a bit of a gold mine. I know, wishful thinking but these things tend to happen around this part of the world.
The key problem remains. Is it safe 'enough' to operate there? How was this decided? What individuals (names, ranks, departments) are involved with this safety audit team that made the safety assessment? Let no one 'hide' as this is a most serious matter for pilots, especially those whose own personal insurances are null and void should they operate to 'war zone' classified places. Will pilots be asked to volunteer? Or will they simply be suspended or sacked for refusing?

daidalos
8th Aug 2009, 00:58
Desert:
"So i guess GF safety audit team are real safety experts that outweigh most governments"

My post was political, and yours is not?

Most governments?
Hmmmm
The ones that ...etc etc ?
wow.
And read the rest of my post, please ...

DesertHawk
8th Aug 2009, 02:23
daidalos:

this is not a slam but look at it from a different perspective. by most governments i mean most governments. i am not sure what u are getting at? Iraq civilian operations are dangerous. So does not matter about "The ones that ...etc etc ?". This is entirely a different issue. Safety in Airline Operations in a war zone is the issue and to me it is obvious that this poses risks.

Che Guevara
8th Aug 2009, 04:38
My interpretation of resposible governments is that, yes they are responsible for all this mess in the area!. So they are the last to talk about security and safety in the area.

My interpretation is obviously quite different to yours, in fact it is not even close. Some of us come from countries that take the safety and security of their citizens seriously and yes, act responsibly in providing accurate and up to date travel advisories etc.

You of course are free to ignore your own and others if you feel that they do not paint an accurate picture.

Good luck in choosing.

Fubaliera
8th Aug 2009, 04:57
Guys, the turks would get a extra salary everymonth if they flew to Irag. Hint Hint, negociate guys, the who will go, should get paid doulble,

Radar Contact
8th Aug 2009, 07:49
As Fubaliera pointed out, negociate for a better deal but also don't forget the approach is to Baghdad is terrible and will require very sharp manoeuvring (Screw driver) which is going to be fun I guess! :ok:

Good Luck

Capt Hair Y Balls
8th Aug 2009, 15:55
I think the Safety Audit Team did a great job, they are sending the A320 to Iraq................makes for a smaller target:D:D:D

Duh
8th Aug 2009, 16:09
Does the "Y" stand for AND, as in the Spanish language. Or are you just referring to fuzzy nutz?

tristarfivestar
8th Aug 2009, 18:55
nice points guys.Maybe GF (as well as bahrain) have some kind of a deal with the US army to keep the planes flying there to be safe? the airline which has more than 50 years of experience could not make an immature decisione like that.

Mike.Park
8th Aug 2009, 20:01
Oh no, UglyRaed is back..

Radar Contact
8th Aug 2009, 20:02
nice points guys.Maybe GF (as well as bahrain) have some kind of a deal with the US army to keep the planes flying there to be safe? the airline which has more than 50 years of experience could not make an immature decisione like that.

The same airline that ditched overflying Iraq after one of their A340 was seconds close to collide with a US Army aircraft ? SURE.

Sorry mate but you speak like UglyRaedIIII (RELOADED)!

brassplate
9th Aug 2009, 00:25
best solution is let gf roster only locals to iraq.

DesertHawk
9th Aug 2009, 00:40
i have heard that solution and to be honest would calm alot of people. On the other hand is it not all of our safety we are concerned about? if it is not safe that os the bottom line is it not????

Panama Jack
9th Aug 2009, 04:06
I know the last two comments by brassplate and DesertHawk were meant to be well-intentioned, however, haven't you forgotten another critical part of the team here-- namely the cabin crew?

We probably have enough Bahraini boys to keep staffing the A320 to Bagdhad, but I expect it would be a challenge. To ignore the concerns of the rest of the cabin crew would be selfish. After all, we are responsible for their safety too and so is the Company.

I am still hoping for the Company to open discussion to address crews' concerns, and more critically, to win buy-in to this business plan. Mr. Majali has already stated in his opening "Hello Gulf Air" address that "strategy and its implementation must come from within"-- from the employees.

tristarfivestar
9th Aug 2009, 06:42
i dont think that i am uglyread . The name doesn't make sense. so whats with him? any way, what were you saying about the US army and the 340?
you mean that a 340 was almost shot down by the US army?
no one ever told me that before .

Che Guevara
9th Aug 2009, 06:43
Mr. Majali has already stated in his opening "Hello Gulf Air" address that "strategy and its implementation must come from within"-- from the employees.

OK, so here is a strategy from within....wet lease.

Panama Jack
9th Aug 2009, 07:52
You mean . . . Step 1-- create a virtual airline?

What is the website address for Parc Aviation or Air Icelandic again so that we can fly "for" Gulf Air?

Mike.Park
9th Aug 2009, 13:08
Gulf Air plans to sack 272 workers: union

(AFP) – 10 minutes ago

MANAMA — Gulf Air trade unions on Sunday alleged the struggling Bahrain-owned carrier is planning to dismiss 272 workers within three months as part of a restructuring plan.

"The company plans to fire 272 Bahraini and foreign workers by the end of October. We have (copies) of (dismissal) letters sent to some employees and names of those targetted by the company's redundancy plan," the union's deputy chief Ghazi al-Murbati told AFP.

Gulf Air's new chief executive officer, Samer al-Majali, appointed last month, has stated in a letter to employees that "previous administrations have failed to achieve a comprehensive restructuring" of the company, Murbati said.
The union official said a plan to sack employees in foreign locations has already started.

Gulf Air chairman, Talal al-Zain, however, denied claims of redundancy plans, saying that "there was no intention to sack any employee in the company's new strategy," Al-Watan daily reported on Sunday.

Gulf Air was set up in 1974 by Bahrain, Oman, Qatar and Abu Dhabi. It has been exclusively owned by Bahrain since May 2007.

The company is estimated to have around 30 aircraft, and has plans to modernise its fleet.

Its chairman said in March that it was planning to add 13 new aircraft to its fleet before the end of the year through leasing and buying new planes.

In January 2008, Gulf Air said it signed a deal to buy 16 Boeing-787 Dreamliner with the option to buy eight others in a deal worth four billion dollars, while it ordered 35 Airbus medium and long-haul aircraft worth five billion dollars in May of the same year.

Source: AFP (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iipc6aBE-7B9dNxfqEMkQyG2WEUw)

Che Guevara
9th Aug 2009, 15:58
Do you mean 'operated by Jet Airways for Gulf Air'...? :rolleyes:

Mike.Park
9th Aug 2009, 22:33
Gulf Air denies plan

By DANIEL MUNDEN, Posted on » Monday, August 10, 2009

GULF Air last night dismissed reports it was planning to sack 272 Bahraini and expatriate employees within three months as part of restructuring plans.

Trade unionists claimed to have evidence the airline was planning to reduce its workforce from 5,072 to 4,800.

However, in a joint statement Gulf Air chairman Talal Alzain and chief executive officer Samer Majali denied any such plans existed.

"Further to stories in today's media about Gulf Air making redundancy plans, Gulf Air can confirm that these stories are inaccurate," the statement said. "Any current positions being made redundant are through natural attrition and those resulting from employee misconduct."

Despite this, Gulf Air Trade Union chairman Mustafa Al Tooq said he was hoping for a meeting with Gulf Air management and the General Federation of Bahrain Trade Unions on Wednesday to discuss the matter further.

IFE
10th Aug 2009, 01:47
Safety has been compromised by commercial viability.
And as a pilot, we should not allow this to happen because safety should not be compromised. I am sure many pilots are in the "RED" or "AMBER" about operating to Baghdad and the management should take it seriously.
Baghdad might be a goldmine, but at the same time it could well be a landmine or a time bomb as well. All it take is one bomb, one missile, one casualty. Whether there is pressure from high above or not, the timing is not right to operate to Baghdad at the moment.
Have the commercial people told you that there are demands somewhere else that is safer to operate?
Have you considered GF's former goldmines like Colombo, Jakarta, and Dublin?
And winter holiday is fast approaching, how about those snowbirds from Scandinavia and Russia wanting to travel to warm and sunny tropical weather in Thailand and Malaysia?

GF is not RJ. Bahrain is not Jordan. And I do not want to get into politic and religion conflict.

brassplate
10th Aug 2009, 09:34
and the carnage continues. today's news....

46 killed, hundreds wounded in Iraq attacks - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/08/10/iraq.bombings/index.html)

well done, safety audit team. you've done your credibility a whole heap of good.

your slogan,

economics before safety

obsidian
10th Aug 2009, 11:22
brassplate,send the locals?! why the locals are expendable!? i dont mind doing iraq as long as you r doing them as well...and i think everyone should do them,if not they should be fired!!!
air arabia,etihad,bahrain air are going to start flying there soon,they think there is an acceptable risk as long as the situation is continually reevaluated..rj and other assorted european charters are already flying into various airports in iraq...the question is why not gulfair? and why not u rustplate:E

Che Guevara
10th Aug 2009, 13:20
they think there is an acceptable risk as long as the situation is continually reevaluated

Really, what exactly is an acceptable risk in the eyes of the airlines you mentioned?

Here is an up to date assessment from a neutral European country:

xxx citizens are advised against all travel to Iraq because of the extremely dangerous security situation and very high threat of terrorist attacks. xxx citizens currently in Iraq are advised to leave.
The threat of kidnap of foreign nationals across Iraq remains high. Individuals have been kidnapped at their residence, work and in transit. Kidnappers do not discriminate between nationalities or religions. Those kidnapped include individuals who had security arrangements in place and some of those kidnapped have been killed, including two xxx citizens.
Terrorists and anti-government forces have carried out numerous attacks against places frequented by foreigners, such as hotels and restaurants outside the International Zone. Westerners and places frequented by westerners, including hotels and restaurants, have also been attacked inside the International Zone.
There have been attacks on international organisations, including the International Committee of the Red Cross, the UN and non–Government Organisations.
If you consider your presence in Iraq is essential, you should have adequate and continuous professional close security arrangements and ensure they are regularly reviewed.

IFE
10th Aug 2009, 13:32
"Any take ups should be completely voluntary." by Mike.Park

Good idea Mike. So those who want to do Iraq flight, please go to the fleet office and have your names listed. :ok:

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

brassplate
10th Aug 2009, 15:03
obsidian,
i did not mean it from the angle of your attack.
if anyone was going to be in danger for the airline and therefore the country, then it should be the owners of the airline. from the tone of your comment,

and i think everyone should do them,if not they should be fired!!!no one pays me enough to be in harms way. why purposefully add risk to an operation that does not need additional risk?
i like the voluntary option, but based on the volunteers judgment, not gf.
it seems to me that only the desperate carriers are going there.
since when did 'high risk, high rewards' figure in our crm and business models?
gf must be really, really desperate because our managers have run out of ways to keep this overstaffed, under-performing, rag tag of an airline to making money.
in other words, gf is PROSTITUTING ITSELF literally.

DesertHawk
10th Aug 2009, 15:29
no offence taken brass- i agree this is a crew issue not just a pilot issue. as i said before making locals go is not any safer. It is so simple guys, we all need to make our voices heard. For those who actually think this is a safety issue and are concerned then we should write letters, call and have meeting with our Fleet Managers and Chief Pilots as professionals. Bitching about it on here is one thing but actually voicing legitemate concerns in a professional way is what needs to be done.:ok:

oh and OBS: are u actually saying there are no concerns? just curious.

ShirleyNot
10th Aug 2009, 16:03
Sounds like a good line up for a comercial aircraft museum.

Mike.Park
10th Aug 2009, 17:20
I love the video clip on the Iraqi Airways website.

"We take pride in our unrivaled safety record and highly trained staff. Our majestic fleet of aircraft offer the luxury that both the casual and business customer will enjoy"

Sounds too good to be true!

tristarfivestar
10th Aug 2009, 18:15
who got that false information ?GF would be sacking 278 workers? do you guys still receive the email called "hello gulf air"?

Mike.Park
10th Aug 2009, 19:44
who got that false information ?GF would be sacking 278 workers?

Gulf Air trade unions who said they have already seen dismissal documents.

Read here (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iipc6aBE-7B9dNxfqEMkQyG2WEUw)

tristarfivestar
10th Aug 2009, 21:40
thanks for the article.Is GF really going to give up their 777s?
Does anyone knows when GF will be getting their new 330s?

obsidian
11th Aug 2009, 12:59
:E(best solution is let gf roster only locals to iraq-brassplate)
thats exactly what u wrote rustplate! i work for the national airline i do not own it!!
and yes i do not mind flyin there! i am more worried about the state of the planes we fly!:E enjoy talkin to management,forgot to tell u,first flight is a320,majority of the flights to bag. are 330/340 hope u guys have a nice trip down there!

tristarfivestar
11th Aug 2009, 16:30
is obsidian uglyread? well its non of my business.i agree with obsidian on this one.Its a good idea to fly to iraq.

Che Guevara
11th Aug 2009, 18:38
For those who actually think this is a safety issue and are concerned then we should write letters, call and have meeting with our Fleet Managers and Chief Pilots as professionals

There is a 'town hall' meeting coming up very soon if you haven't already heard.

tristarfivestar
11th Aug 2009, 20:27
well my vote is to "yes" start the flight already...hopefully nothing bad will happen...if the US army refueling planes are not in danger so why cant GF planes be in danger?

Duh
11th Aug 2009, 20:41
Trade unions, now that is an OXY MORON.
-
-

Lets see who has the BALLS to go to the CEO and pilots meeting on the 12th of August from 17:00-19:00. It's at HQ Gulf Air. And those that make the biggest Stink here on the rumor channel and who happen to be on "Fantasy" Island should put up or shut up !

Just my two cents. :}

tristarfivestar
12th Aug 2009, 02:29
Gulf air would have some help in carrying some pax to Baghdad.I have just two more questions . why it isn't it safe for GF to fly to Iraq but it is safe for the RJ to fly there? why would the rebals try to fire missils at GF and not at the US militarys refeuling aircrafts which land at that airport?:confused:

brassplate
12th Aug 2009, 07:31
you are a freakin' idiot man. you shoot at the military, you get shot back!!!
i stand by my statements. this job is not worth risking life for.

Schibulsky
12th Aug 2009, 10:07
tristarfivestar, your cover is blown! "Rebals" shooting at "refeuling" aircrafts is just pi$$ poor spelling but what really identified you as uglyfcuk is the crap you are posting so please just go away!

Radar Contact
12th Aug 2009, 10:23
A9C-ER (A320) has left the fleet.

wingsman
12th Aug 2009, 10:46
the meeting is set today the 12th of Aug between 17:00- 19:00 local, that what COO sent in Aims.

brassplate
12th Aug 2009, 13:00
no such official invitation, buddy. are you sure this is not a ploy to get ppuners identified when they turn up? if it is, you are obviously management. if not, then maybe not all are invited.

tristarfivestar
12th Aug 2009, 16:09
you must be ugly read! reflecting your insecurities . i am new to this forum try not to take the advantage.You should look at you spellings first. I would not advice you to attend the meeting.brass plate is right its just a plan to identify the pprune users.If they really wanted to invite you,you all would receive emails or some message from "hello gulf air"

tristarfivestar
12th Aug 2009, 17:14
National carrier Gulf Air has upgraded its flight safety standards by acquiring an integrated state-of –the-art Flight Data Monitoring (FDM) system, also known as Flight Operation Quality Assurance (Foqa) system.
The airline has recently signed a three year partnership with Austin Digital, Texas, USA - a leading Foqa provider – to implement the complete infrastructure at Gulf Air headquarters.
FDM is the systematic and pro-active use of digital flight data from routine operations that helps an airline to improve its fleet safety. It is a well accepted and mandatory part of today’s safety management systems in global aviation industry.
“Gulf Air has a well-established Accident Prevention and Flight Safety Program and regularly upgrades its systems and procedures so that it maintains the highest flight safety standards,” said Gulf Air chief operating officer Capt Chris Cain.
“The new integrated FDM system offers a robust and sophisticated functionality to analyse and optimise our daily flight operations helping us increase our fleet’s technical dispatch reliability.
“The system also offers remote access to in-flight data that facilitates a more efficient maintenance planning and in our daily aircraft system’s troubleshooting processes. Furthermore, the service offers a solid basis for additional financial savings in the fields of guarantees and warranties, ATC charges, fuel savings, etc,” he added.
Besides setting up and implementing the FDM service, Austin Digital will also provide continuous support to technical system operation and flight safety/flight operations efficiency know-how after completion of the project

wapses
13th Aug 2009, 01:01
GF have announced appointment of General Manager Iraq, Ahmed Ali Hajee. Presume he will not be taking his family with him!

brassplate
13th Aug 2009, 01:18
i think you are management, tristarfivestar aka uglyraedII. and you are an absolute twit.

whatever safety is in place (fdm, foqa blah blah blah) for gf, nothing can stop someone from launching something at the aircraft during approach or departure as was the case for that dhl a300....unless you want to add flares or ground to air missile countermeasures to the fleet.

has gf thought out what would happen to the crew if an aircraft went tech on the ground at baghdad or najaf? how is fdm or foqa gonna save your @rse if some group decides to have a go at the airport? they are still out there by the hundreds maybe thousands and still killing hundreds by the week

this other line about 'other airlines' operating there already is cheap. only desperate airlines are operating there. the worst bit is that management once again wants to cover up their incompetence at running an airline by trying to make a quick buck out of iraq.....at the expense of the lives of the crew.

there was already a brief regarding overflights over iraqi airspace, the inherent dangers, the unavailability of suitable 'safe' alternates especially from within iraq, and now this...a complete 'u' turn, reversing all that [email protected] saying overnight, that's it safe safe safe safe safe and....safe.
when management does that, it only reinforces further their idiocy, their incompetence, their lack of regard to their own safety standards, and their lack of regard of you and me!

my fellow crew members, this is what we are facing. idiots who play with our lives while they sit on their safe and comfortable armchairs in their safe and comfortable offices.

tristarfivestar
13th Aug 2009, 02:40
well i am not convinced. I think it is a great idea for GF to fly to Iraq.It would be better if you(brass plate) would be a bit kind to all the pprune users. Give respect to receive respect. And why are you all calling me uglyread?
is that a word in arabic?

DesertHawk
13th Aug 2009, 04:44
tristarfivestar: brass may be a bit hard but what he says does have some merit. all u seem to say is it is a great idea. please quantify. why? other than yields. please outline how gf has guaranteed my safety. have we hired independent security not from iraq for the aircraft and crew? have we solved any approach issues? what about my life insurance? have we solved any problems regarding actually staying there? you know it is amusing to me that people actually say things and are obviously oblivious to the real issues. facts are that no one knows what GF has done regarding any of these issues. so please dont tell me how safe it is. GF has failed to produce its crew with any assurances or detailed information for me to even consider operations. it is hard to fathom working for an airline that is not even capable of basic communication. now we have announced these routes we(the crews) are already behind in knowledge and have to dig our way out in hopes of finding some safe solution or middle ground. does that sound like pro active management to u? Anyways that is my rant and I am sticking with it. More communication and professionalism is required before you declare Iraq safe. P.S since u seem to be so educated on safety of Iraq I am sure that there are many great companies looking in Iraq for your wonderful skillset. I wonder if you would take your family? answer to that kind of sums this all up:ok:

tristarfivestar
13th Aug 2009, 06:34
as the employees of GF,it is your right to ask the management what safety precautions they have taken..there is a possibility that they are keeping some security measures confidential as the information may be misused if placed in the wrong hands.

REACH-69
13th Aug 2009, 10:27
How did the meeting go with Mr.Majali ? any updates:ok:

Mephistopheles
13th Aug 2009, 13:28
Meeting is on the 18 Aug. I guess we shall see what the new CEO has to say but I don't think it will be anything we haven't heard before. Although deep down I really do want GF to be back up where it belongs. Maybe the pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming into place. Chairman of the board is a top class guy with the know how to get things done, now let's hope the CEO is of the same caliber. But then again maybe I am just dreaming!

Trader
13th Aug 2009, 14:22
The problem is simple!

The last time GF considered flying into Iraq they hired a British security company to design a plan. I know one GF captain who was involved. In short they said forces would fan out 1 hour prior to arr. in a 3 km circle (maybe 5km).

When asked about the range of attacks possible by various weapons currently in use in Iraq by insurgents they were told that thye had ranges well in excess of 5 km! The security team had no other answers. Needless to say the pilots were not accepting it.

If GF can't secure the saftey of its crews then either they should not fly into the airport or they should offer the crews the CHOICE as to whether or not they operate.

tristarfivestar
13th Aug 2009, 15:40
why the British army? whats wrong with the American army? I know that every one of you is concerned in starting the flights to iraq.Hopefully ,its the right decision.If they dump the plan now,the airline would make further losses as they would have to answer hundreds of people who already bought the tickets.. As i said if RJ is safe in flying to Iraq then why isnt GF?
I wouldn't worry because i know that the airline has taken extra safety precautions

IFE
13th Aug 2009, 17:48
"Gulf Air Iraq ticket sales break records"

WOW...320 might be too small, and should use 330/340 instead.:ok:

IFE
13th Aug 2009, 17:51
Bahrain Air to commence flights to Baghdad, Najaf

Staff Report
Published: August 11, 2009, 17:33
Dubai: Bahrain Air, announced Tuesday that it has taken the necessary preparations to commence direct commercial flights from Bahrain to the Republic of Iraq, Baghdad and Najaf, International Airports at a total of seven flights a week, where by two weekly flights to Baghdad International Airport, and five weekly flights to Najaf International Airport, starting from August 28, 2009

tristarfivestar
13th Aug 2009, 19:55
hopefully the the destination would not be any trouble. Its nice to see that GF thinks outside the box.The other gulf carriers are flying to the US but GF is thinking in flying to Iraq! I guess the planes will be filled with journalists/reporters and the pilgrims. I guess the airline might get into history books for that because it will make a significant statement that the situation in Iraq is improving.
for some reason my spell checker is not working for some odd reason so don't mind the typos.

brassplate
13th Aug 2009, 21:04
hopefully the the destination would not be any trouble.

is that all we can do? hope?

Its nice to see that GF thinks outside the box.

nice? gf? outside the box? absolutely laughable. those words do not belong in the same sentence.

I guess the planes will be filled with journalists/reporters and the pilgrims.

why do journalists/reporters go to iraq? to report on the WAR still going on there. i wonder how many of these pilgrims will return since a lot of the pilgrims ARE the targets on these pilgrimages. Bomb attacks targeting Shia pilgrims kill at least 37 in Iraq - The Irish Times - Sat, Aug 08, 2009 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2009/0808/1224252231956.html)

I guess the airline might get into history books for that because it will make a significant statement that the situation in Iraq is improving.

what is in the history books regarding gf are two things. the first airline of the gulf, and the only fatal airline disasters in the gulf to date.
regarding the underlined, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING!!!!!!! it is morons like you with their heads up their sphincters that are the major problem in the gulf.

DesertHawk
13th Aug 2009, 23:39
open your eyes. reading the paper now 20 dead 30 injured in suicide bomb in iraq. goes on to say one of many in the last week. tristar be realistic this is not a regional pride issue and u are starting to sound totally illogical and borderline crazy. the more i think of this the more i wonder how long many of us will be at GF. sad to say:(

brassplate
14th Aug 2009, 00:02
Gulf Daily News » Local News » Airline vows skills plan for Bahrainis (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=257612)

in particular:

.....On the contrary, the national carrier with its new administration intends to continue upgrading human resources and increasing the rate of Bahrainisation out of a belief in the competence and loyalty of Bahraini workers to their company, he said.

....bahrainisation features a lot nowadays. together with 'loyalty', maybe this is gfs new way of weeding out 'disloyal' expats who refuse to fly to iraq and therefore push further the bahrainisation agenda of gf.
is this the same competence displayed by the likes of tristarfivestar, wingsman and uglyraed?

DesertHawk
14th Aug 2009, 02:00
tristar- you never answered my earlier question. would u consider taking your family to stay in Baghdad? simple question what the answer?

brassplate
14th Aug 2009, 10:32
......the silence is deafening.

no one has a good answer for that one. because there is no good answer. silence means that you are right and whoever is for this venture is hoping you will just go away.
bastards.

Mike.Park
14th Aug 2009, 11:57
maybe this is gfs new way of weeding out 'disloyal' expats who refuse to fly to iraq and therefore push further the bahrainisation agenda of gf.

Gulf Air will forever maintain decent levels of expatriate flight crew for cultural and flight safety reasons so you needn't worry about P45s being handed out :}

Mike.Park
14th Aug 2009, 18:10
Well that's interesting! Care to expand on the subject?

I'll make it short and sweet and I don't want to turn this into an academic debate.

Culture 'A': Sweeping negative news under the carpet, hunting down whistle blowers, passing on responsibility, and masking failure.

Allowing the societal characteristics of culture 'A' to seep into and become the corporate culture of an organization such as an airline where safety is paramount is a recipe for disaster.

tristarfivestar
14th Aug 2009, 18:27
i would take my family to Iraq as long as we stay in the plane and dont get out of the terminal. I have heard that even Pakistan had some tough times with the terrorist/bombs and the assassination but GF used to fly there anyways. I dont see the political difference in the two places. I hope every one remembers that GF used to fly even in the gulf war. E|ven when the yemen air was shot down for some reason.So whats wrong with iraq? If it isnt safe for GF to fly to Iraq then why is it safe for GF to fly Pakistan?
And please try to answer my question

brassplate
14th Aug 2009, 20:22
while we're at it, why don't we commence services to kabul and kandahar?
get where i'm getting at?
by the way, iraq is officially a war zone. pakistan is not.
let me reiterate what i said before.
Bomb attacks targeting Shia pilgrims kill at least 37 in Iraq - The Irish Times - Sat, Aug 08, 2009 (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2009/0808/1224252231956.html)

a lot of shiite from bahrain will be interested in going to baghdad because of the holy sites. apart from those places, the only other concentration of these shiites will be at the airport, making airports easy targets.

i would take my family to Iraq as long as we stay in the plane and dont get out of the terminal.

flying to iraq is not safe. nothing can prevent someone launching a missile from a shoulder launcher at you on approach and departure. this has been proven by the shooting of the dhl a300. things have NOT improved since then.

So whats wrong with iraq?

come on!!!! pull your head out of your ring, buddy. if you are a gf manager which i think you are, woe to all of us!!

If it isnt safe for GF to fly to Iraq then why is it safe for GF to fly Pakistan?

is that question meant to make iraq look safe?
to educate you, risk increases when exposure increases. like the roads in bahrain....spend enough time on them, you're bound to have a prang with some idiot who is on the mobile while balancing a baby on one knee and scratching his gonads with the other hand. you keep insisting on going to dangerous places, you increase the chances of getting caught. it is called risk management. you minimise risk, not subject yourself to more of it. not in this industry. and don't you dare say the little book on the dash will protect us all.

DesertHawk
14th Aug 2009, 20:49
1. Pakistan is not currently a war zone.
2. Changing Military control in Iraq. Americans are currently in process of changing over responsibility to Iraqi control. Unfortunately no one knows what the outcome will be and like it or not until this situation is stable and proves it has sustainability no one can assure safety.
3. Read the paper!!!!! I have skipped through monthly number on civilian deaths over the past 6 months in Iraq. Causes are various. Suicide bombs, car bombs, IED's. These are happening at a rate that is unsafe for civilian expats to even consider visiting.
4. No ability to overnight. Fact is is something ever did happen what is the crews options? Stay in aircraft:) Try to convince someone that it is safe when they can not leave the terminal for fear of death!!!\

5. Life insurance is not awarded in case of death inside a war zone. The reason these companies have clauses is because if u are in a internationally recognized war zone chance of death is greatly increased. (not sure but i think it is very obvious)

Tristar: I can go on but, I am getting bored of trying to explain something that you have no interest in even considering. Facts are all neutral governments, including mine, clearly state not to travel at all to Iraq. It is too early to consider civilian aircraft operations in Iraq. I know it will happen eventually and that is a positive step. Honestly though I came here to fly aircraft in a safe, professional environment not to be told to fly into a war zone where there have been over 2200 deaths in the last 6 months or so. Some may laugh and hate GF but overall it has been great. This is just something I can not overlook due to many factors. It is just sad that Gf has to be the testing grounds cause we have fallen so far behind. End of the day you can go there if you want but I am taking care of me first. My arse is not gonna go until I feel 100percent so sit back and say what u want.!!!

brassplate
15th Aug 2009, 04:32
damn spammer!! why are they allowed?

Mike.Park
15th Aug 2009, 18:51
so I take it you do not fly as a passenger when the flightdeck crew is of "Culture A?It has very little to do with the individual, and more to do with the collective (corp cult)

Nine years ago when GF 072 was driven into the ground, the accident reports showed that the pathological culture I described earlier was indeed a contributing factor to the chain of errors that that took place on that evening.

Not Gulfair CEO
15th Aug 2009, 19:32
you are a sick man mike, your corridor crap talk suddenly became an official accident report!!! 072 has every thing to do with the particular individual.

REACH-69
15th Aug 2009, 19:56
A number of the ex-767 guys are joining Qatar Airways on the 777 as DEC....wish u all the best:ok:

Mephistopheles
15th Aug 2009, 20:04
Mike.Fart, firstly you seem to have great insight into the GF072 crash which in itself is amazing since you must have been been 13 yrs old when it happened!!! Secondly, going on about culture A & culture B you really do sound like one of the annoying f/os I fly with that talk crap for hours with very little substance except trying to show why they should be given commands here. Do us all a favor & wind your neck in.

DesertHawk
16th Aug 2009, 01:16
not sure how MIKE turned this into a convo about 072? has nothing to do with this thread. my 2 cents is that GF safety in general has nothing to do with "culture" per say. It has to do with mismanagement in the past. And please dont tell me that it could only happen here cause we all know it happens everywhere. Also Meph i find it very interesting how WE ALL only seem to think of things from our own perspective and in general dont respect or consider some people are different and they to have validity. i guess that is why most pilots never stick together because the views always change depending on what they can get out of the situation.

dandylion
16th Aug 2009, 06:51
Hey Guys,

Was wondering if anybody could help me out, I'm a reporter in the region and was hoping to talk to some Gulf Air pilots about flying to Iraq and their reaction - that sort of thing. If anybody is willing to speak, or knows any pilots that would be open to an interview, please private message me.

Hope that's okay!

Mike.Park
16th Aug 2009, 09:31
I've clearly hit a nerve with some of you. I didn't plan on turning the thread into a 072 discussion board. Someone asked me to elaborate on a comment I made earlier which I did.

GulfAir CEO, I think your a little wide off the mark to suggest it was all down to the individual. The accident reports showed that GF's safety culture was a contributing factor to the chain of errors. Why do you think JH went about revamping the company's SMS? using BASIS, revamping AQP, CRM, LOFT?

Why was there a need for JH to introduce a non-reprisal policy on open reporting?

It's because the old safety culture stank and needed changing.

"The investigation showed that all the latent organisational and management conditions that had precipitated the GF 072 accident were present long before the accident" Section B-01-8 of the report

Right, can we go back to discussing the dangers of flying into a war zone? :}

Newbie30
16th Aug 2009, 10:42
I am a pilot in gulf air and there is no way in hell that I am flying to iraq. I didn't sign up for this ****, my LIFE is not worth risking for the company .

Not Gulfair CEO
16th Aug 2009, 11:21
No Mike I do not accept your googled out section B.01.08, You have clearly misinterpreted and confused it with the Culture A and blamed it on culture A. Olbie have sums it up nicely so I do not have to repeat the same point,but the only sad part is fact that still we got some individuals like you who are carrying hatred inside behind a fake smile.

Mike.Park
16th Aug 2009, 13:00
the only sad part is fact that still we got some individuals like you who are carrying hatred inside behind a fake smile

I'm not carrying hatred at all, and I think your blowing things way out of proportion. Both you and olbie have misinterpreted the argument I was making and it's clear your trying to accuse of being racist which isn't fair.

I used the letter 'A' because it is the first letter in the alphabet and I was going to make a comparison with Culture B, and Culture C etc.

brassplate
16th Aug 2009, 18:58
I didn't sign up for this ****, my LIFE is not worth risking for the company .

my exact sentiments.
with or without personal life insurance, that is what it comes down to.
gf would be wise to take heed and give the option for volunteers if they persist on going which will be the case.
if they decide to threaten those who refuse, a mass walkout would ensue, me being the first.

obsidian
...and i think everyone should do them,if not they should be fired!!!

w*nker of the highest order!

downNOgreens
17th Aug 2009, 14:57
A bit rough, brassy. What do you think Gulf Air was going to do? Sit back and let an opportunity slip by? They can not afford to do that.

tristarfivestar
17th Aug 2009, 16:12
hey guys i have did some investigation in Qatar airways and i got some interesting information which might help you. One of the captains from Qatar airways said that they fly over Iraq very close to Baghdad on every flight to the US.It is obvious that it is now safe to fly over Iraq.So there is nothing wrong in landing there.When gf was almost shot down over Iraq, all flights passing over iraq were suspended.ever since conditions in Iraq are getting stable ,it is now safe to fly to Iraq in my opinion.I don't think Iraq is a war zone anymore.The only problem is that there is a high crime rate as it was in Pakistan.

runway in use
17th Aug 2009, 18:05
tristarfivestar, it seems that all what is written here didnt click in your mind. its not overflying Iraq that is the problem, we do fly over Iraq. but it seems either you dont read the posts, or you dont understand English. if you are a pilot then you would know by now what are we talking regarding Iraq issue.

sorry guys, i read alot in PPRUNE, and i dont write alot. but this guy made me write something.

Mike.Park
17th Aug 2009, 18:10
It is obvious that it is now safe to fly over Iraq.So there is nothing wrong in landing there.Come on tristar - there's a huge difference between overflying the country at 36,000 feet vs. actually making an approach and landing within reach of a shoulder mounted RPG.

REACH-69
17th Aug 2009, 18:35
No offense to anyone ,but whoever is unhappy with the decision has the chance to spit it out tommorow at 4 p.m with the boss himself....have a good day:ok:

tristarfivestar
17th Aug 2009, 18:54
well i do understand English.When Algiers was political unstable, air France used to fly to Algeria but with pilots volunteering to fly there. Since the DHL i have not heard of any incidents where a plane close to being shot down!hopefully, you do know that RJ flies there? i guess there are many precautions that they have taken.

Schibulsky
17th Aug 2009, 19:24
This message is hidden because tristarfivestar is on your ignore list.:ok:

tristarfivestar
17th Aug 2009, 19:55
let me pretend i care.:eek:. im done.If you dont agree with me, you shouldn't be rude!

brassplate
17th Aug 2009, 20:02
there were suicide bombers when dhl was shot down. there's still suicide bombers now.
troops were getting killed then, troops are getting killed now.
there was political unrest then, there's political unrest now.
there was lot of guns with the public then, there's a lot of guns with the public now.
there was a lot of rpgs then, there's a lot of rpgs now.
deaths then, deaths now.
inadequate security then, inadequate security now.
what may be missing now are soldiers who are pulling out bit by bit, allowing rebels, factions, gangs, opposition hardliners, taliban, al qaeda and many more groups far more freedom to speak with their weapons.
apart from that,
NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!

dundem
17th Aug 2009, 20:11
Hey guys/gals- PLEASE ignore tristar..uglyraed (and sequels)...his sister and any other screen-names it turns up with. It's the same person; I know this, you know this, we all know this. This topic needs a more level-headed discussion but that person is becoming more than an annoying distraction. Ignore it as you would any other insolent child in a public place and it may just go away.

tristarfivestar
17th Aug 2009, 21:23
ok ok i agree with you. happy? sorry if i dont agree with you.

Mephistopheles
17th Aug 2009, 21:39
I guess we will just have to wait until tomorrow & see what the big boss has to say. I will not be happy to fly there unless there is extra insurance coverage provided by the company to make up for my own personal insurance being null & void. People please do not bring up the subject of danger pay since this would just show the management how little we value our lives & our family's well being just for the sake of a few dinars. Let's just see what they say. As for cabin crew it will be Bahrainis or volenteers only.

Mike.Park
17th Aug 2009, 22:17
GDN letters page: Flights worry (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=257842)

brassplate
17th Aug 2009, 22:37
this one too.

Gulf Daily News (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/ArchiveNewsDetails.aspx?date=08/14/2009&storyid=257606)

flyboy320
18th Aug 2009, 05:59
Maybe a new livery is comming up soon. Why not adopting this one here?
perfect for the Iraq Ops!
http://www.airpic.co.za/media/images/img_8614a_camo_737_left_2.jpg

tristarfivestar
18th Aug 2009, 08:28
i don't think so! the livery will make the planes look as if they are in a war! i think this color is for camouflage .How ever, the sky is blue obviously so the plane wont really blend in. nice picture by the way!

IFE
18th Aug 2009, 09:50
Guys, is there a clause somewhere in ICAO's Annexs saying about the rights of pilot to refuse to fly if it seems unsafe? Remember reading it somewhere.

ironbutt57
18th Aug 2009, 11:24
ICAO is nothing more than a flying club....like the NTSB in my country...state member regulations rule...like it or not....

tristarfivestar
18th Aug 2009, 12:22
no comment

Mike.Park
18th Aug 2009, 15:12
is there a clause somewhere in ICAO's Annexs saying about the rights of pilot to refuse to fly if it seems unsafe?

There probably is. (Operation of aircraft) - ICAO Annex 6 maybe?

But realistically if you were to refuse to fly based on an ICAO article, you'd likely get the sack :}

behramjee
18th Aug 2009, 16:18
Gulf Air has increased its Bahrain-Dhaka flightsfrom the current 10 weekly services to 12 effective August 20th 2009. All flights are operated by wide bodied Airbus A 340-300 and Airbus A 330-200 aircraft.

The schedule is as follows:

GF 250 DEP BAH 2020 ARR DAC 0550+1…..DAILY
GF 251 DEP DAC 0705 ARR BAH 0845……….DAILY

GF 248 DEP BAH 1110 ARR DAC 2040……MON/TUE/THU/FRI/SAT
GF 249 DEP DAC 2155 ARR BAH 2325…… MON/TUE/THU/FRI/SAT

tristarfivestar
18th Aug 2009, 16:24
cant they atleast use one plane to resume their flights to Dublin?or maybe Washington or JFK? or at least Sydney

ShirleyNot
18th Aug 2009, 16:42
What would be the point if it doesn't make any money, this is a business and GF are squeezed out of all the glamour destinations by the competition, so what are we left with......Iraq, till the others squeeze us off that (please soon).

tristarfivestar
18th Aug 2009, 17:41
Can you please elaborate on the point?

777AV8R
18th Aug 2009, 21:18
The 777s depart the operation. First aircraft departs tomorrow. Second, shortly thereafter with the operation terminated at the end of October.

tristarfivestar
18th Aug 2009, 21:32
you know what would be great for GF is that if start flying to USA again!You have no idea how much passengers they would get from Iraq (mostly from US army) they should keep the 777 to fly to north America!.These incompetent decisions made by this airline really irritates me.

falcon10
18th Aug 2009, 22:14
US Military fly on aircraft in the AMC fleet from various ME locations, such as World Airways, North American, Omni, Northwest (DL), United, Miami Air etc.

SubsonicMortal
19th Aug 2009, 06:41
I wish I could bet a large sum of money that tristarfivestar is not a day older than 12 years old.

Do us all a favor and visit www.barney.com - they have free online games for kids and a broad selection of barney videos you can watch. Hopefully this will steer you clear of things meant for grown ups only.

brassplate
19th Aug 2009, 08:30
put him on your ignore list and be done with him.

tristarfivestar
19th Aug 2009, 11:20
see if i care.GF is not what it used to be. Back in the old days people used to have class I guess you don't.I was just telling you what my old friends told me.I took an early retirement from this airline in 2005.God knows what Hogan did to you. oh:E and your on my ignore list .

Mike.Park
19th Aug 2009, 12:06
Massive bomb blast in Baghdad today on the edge of the green zone, which is supposedly 'safe'.

At least 75 confirmed dead, over 300 injured.

How can anyone argue that Iraq is not a war zone?!

Many killed as series of blasts hits Baghdad (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/19/baghdad-explosions-bombs-iraq)

PAR31
19th Aug 2009, 14:35
No news about the meeting of yesterday?
Before anybody start i am on leave otherwise I was there.:ok:
PAR31

brassplate
20th Aug 2009, 02:56
all i can say is gf is prostituting herself by going to iraq as a desperate attempt to bolster revenue as a result of managements extremely poor performance and huge losses. who will pay for that ineptness?
GF PILOTS.....WITH THEIR LIVES!!!!!!

T O G A Boy
20th Aug 2009, 05:55
This is in today's GDN.. And they want want us to fly to Iraq.

BAGHDAD: A series of blasts in Baghdad killed 95 people and wounded 536 as Iraq suffered its bloodiest day in 18 months. Six blasts struck near government ministries and other targets at the heart of Iraq's administration, weeks after US combat troops withdrew from urban centres, thrusting Iraq's security forces into the lead role.

"This operation shows negligence, and is considered a security breach for which Iraqi forces must take most of the blame," Baghdad's security spokesman Major General Qassim Al Moussawi said.

The government this month had ordered most blast walls in Baghdad to be removed within 40 days, a sign of faith in its troops and police.

In one blast, a massive truck bomb close to a security checkpoint leading to the heavily fortified Green Zone blew out the windows of the nearby foreign ministry, sending shards of glass through busy offices, killing at least 60 people.

The explosion was powerful enough to shatter windows of Iraq's parliament building in the Green Zone.

Another truck bomb in Baghdad's Waziriya district near the finance ministry killed 28 people. Part of a raised highway near the building collapsed.

Another explosion was close enough to Reuters' offices in central Baghdad's Karrada district to burst open windows and doors. The Baghdad provincial government building came under mortar attack, police said, as did Salhiya district in central Baghdad, home to army bases and a television station. Mortars also landed near the UN compound in the Green Zone, startling UN workers marking the sixth anniversary of the bombing of their previous headquarters.

Prime Minister Nuri Al Maliki called for a security review, saying the attacks were aimed at "raising doubts about our armed forces, which have proven themselves capable of confronting terrorists".

The US said it planned to go ahead and withdraw forces from Iraq over the next two years despite the "senseless bombings designed to wreak havoc".

IFE
20th Aug 2009, 15:45
Remember what the management said in the meeting on the 18th?
"It is a normal operation"
LOL. What a bunch of idiots?
They thought they were telling "normal" story to uneducated labours who are willing to risk their lifes at any costs.

Mike.Park
20th Aug 2009, 23:38
Aircrews seek danger money

By MANDEEP SINGH, Posted on » Friday, August 21, 2009

CABIN crews of two Bahraini airlines are demanding danger money to work on flights to Iraq amid fears over safety.

Both Gulf Air and Bahrain Air are due to commence flights to the troubled country in the next two weeks and it is understood staff have no choice but to work on those routes.

However, the union representing all flight attendants in Bahrain said its members were "concerned and anxious" about flying to cities in Iraq.

Flight Attendants' General Trade Union chairman Saqiq Al Durazi revealed it was demanding danger money for staff on Iraq flights, as well as extra precautions against diseases.

"They are not refusing to fly because that is not the proper thing to do," he told the GDN.

"We are now drafting a petition to give to both Bahrain Air and Gulf Air, expressing our concern at the developments and explaining to them they need to take extra care."

------

It's too long to post the whole thing. You can read the rest here (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=258006).

There's another two articles worth reading:
Iraq flights in two weeks (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=258015)
Why we are terrified..! (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=258014)

brassplate
22nd Aug 2009, 14:59
why the silence? are gf pilots happy to be like:
lambs being led to the slaughter?

tristarfivestar
22nd Aug 2009, 18:26
same 2 u touk

Desert Diner
23rd Aug 2009, 13:22
Ramadan Kareem actually!

A Bunker
23rd Aug 2009, 14:59
Can be both actually,
Folks, lets take a moment to remember the significance of today, 23rd of August, for those of you who have been here that long and can remember, since nobody else does.
A

PAR31
23rd Aug 2009, 15:59
GF 072
God Bless Them.

tristarfivestar
23rd Aug 2009, 18:49
yea i for got about that. RIP

tristarfivestar
23rd Aug 2009, 19:14
Bahrain's Gulf Air may renegotiate plane orders with Airbus and Boeing, the carrier's recently-appointed chief executive Samer Majali said.
The struggling airline, which is fully owned by the Bahraini sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat, also said it was open to merging with other airlines, but is not in talks yet.
Speaking to Reuters in a telephone interview, Majali said the company would "honour the terms of the contract" with manufacturers but may negotiate amending airplane numbers and sizes. Gulf Air has 35 Airbus and 24 Boeing aeroplanes on order.
Majali said passenger numbers were down 3 percent in the first seven months of 2009, while yields were 15 to 20 percent lower, compared with the same period last year. Capacity deployment is "very tight", said Majali, who hopes to achieve results close to last year's in the second half.
"Yields are still quite low and I'm not sure anything, globally speaking, has put major brakes on yields," he said.
The airline has seen three chief executives attempt to turn its loss-making operations around since 2002, cutting jobs and realigning its network as previous shareholders Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Oman gave up their stakes in the ailing carrier.
In 2007, the airline cut jobs and trimmed its network after reporting losses of more than $1 million a day.

Gulf Air, Bahrain’s national carrier, has started reviewing its business model and will put in place a new plan of action with a series of clear recommendations by the end of the year, its new CEO said.
The ailing airline will undertake a comprehensive engagement process with all key stakeholders and audiences including customers, employees, the Gulf Air Union, the business community and government, Samer Majali told a Press conference today.
Outlining the restructuring process, Majali highlighted that the objective was to develop a sustainable business that served the needs of the travelling public and supported the growth of the national economy.
Earlier, speaking to various sections of the Gulf Air staff at a meeting hosted by Talal Al Zain, Gulf Air chairman and chief executive of Mumtalakat, the investment arm of the Government of Bahrain, which owns the airline, Majali said: ‘As Gulf Air approaches its 60th anniversary we have much to celebrate. We are a recognised global brand, with a significant pioneering heritage and a wealth of experience in connecting the region with the rest of the world.’
Majali said the international aviation industry is facing a unique set of challenging circumstances, including the global economic slowdown, the significant fluctuations in fuel prices as well as the increased competition in the regional market. Given these difficult circumstances, there is a greater need for change and the need to develop a strategy that delivers Gulf Air’s future aspirations, he added.
“Gulf Air has not implemented a comprehensive strategy review since we became the national airline, which is only responsible for the future travel and business needs of the Kingdom of Bahrain. Gulf Air is currently not sustainable and is receiving subsidies, which could otherwise be invested in other parts of the national economy,” he said.
Addressing speculation about staff redundancies, he said no decisions have been made yet and it would be premature to say anything now as this was the purpose of the review.
He confirmed that his priority is to complete the review process and to determine the future direction of the airline once it had been completed. Until then there will be no change in the daily operations of the airline.
Majali said: ‘A key priority is to safeguard jobs. Gulf Air has an enviable pool of talent, expertise and knowledge. We need to secure this asset as an integral part of the airline’s business and long-term future. But we cannot rely on government subsidy indefinitely so we also need to build a self-sufficient and commercially successful airline. Saving jobs for Bahraini nationals and all our hard working staff is important and a successful transition will result in more job security, more benefits, investment and other opportunities that deliver a better service for Gulf Air customers. It will also enable us to be a better partner of choice for the business community, our partners and suppliers.

Talal Al Zain confirmed Mumtalakat’s support for the business review, stating: ‘Mumtalakat has a responsibility to the Government and to the people of Bahrain to make sure our national assets are being managed efficiently and effectively, helping to drive our national aspirations as highlighted within the Bahrain Vision 2030.’
In welcoming the new CEO to Gulf Air, Al Zain highlighted Majali’s considerable experience in working within the aviation industry in the Middle East and his track record as previous CEO of Royal Jordanian. He said: ‘He has already turned a national airline dependent on Government support into a self sufficient and profitable airline.”

Miles Gustaph
23rd Aug 2009, 22:08
This message is hidden because tristarfivestar is on your ignore list (http://www.pprune.org/profile.php?do=editlist). X2

Thank you all who recommended the ignore list, it is most appreciated!

Albergineman
24th Aug 2009, 10:38
Saving jobs for Bahraini nationals and all our hard working staff is important Interesting, there are two different kind of staff in Gulf Air... I could guess who has priority.

:{

Mike.Park
24th Aug 2009, 11:15
"We have determined that flying to Iraq holds the same level of risk as any other flight on our network and if we did not have the utmost confidence in our exhaustive studies, then we would not do it."

Source: GDN (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=258216)

Yo767
24th Aug 2009, 11:23
I feel better now...

budgetbudgie
24th Aug 2009, 13:10
"We have determined that flying to Iraq holds the same level of risk as any other flight on our network and if we did not have the utmost confidence in our exhaustive studies, then we would not do it.":yuk:

Makes me feel better too, now I can safely ignore the advice from "my" Ministry of Foreign Affairs to absolutely not travel to Iraq.:ugh:

This is a statement coming from a company that doesn't give a toss about it's employee's, never has and never will.:*

Latest is that the Korean c/c managed to get their embassy to send a letter to GF that their citizens are not allowed to go to Iraq.
So for now: no Phillipino and Korean c/c to go on the flights.
Who's next?

tristarfivestar
24th Aug 2009, 14:27
i think next flight will me in Afghanistan :ugh:.

Mike.Park
24th Aug 2009, 14:48
Does one take security advice from a commercial business, or a government authority?

:O

Mike.Park
24th Aug 2009, 14:57
Gulf Air may cut plane orders amid strategy review

Associated Press, 08.24.09

Gulf Air's new CEO says the Bahraini state carrier may need to adjust its orders for Boeing and Airbus aircraft as it struggles to turn itself around.

CEO Samer Majali said in an e-mailed statement Monday the airline has begun "a comprehensive review ... looking at every aspect of the business." It is eyeing "all potential avenues," including partnering with other carriers.

He says the airline's future size and shape are being reconsidered, and that means aircraft orders may need to be adjusted.

Gulf Air last year announced multibillion-dollar orders for 35 Airbus A320s and A330-300s, and up to 24 Boeing 787s.

Majali, formerly head of Royal Jordanian Airlines, is Gulf Air's third full-time CEO in as many years.

Source: AFP (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/08/24/business-ml-bahrain-gulf-air_6808474.html)

tristarfivestar
24th Aug 2009, 16:07
The only thing GF had in its name were the airplane orders.but now they want to cut it down.And fly those ancients 340s .I dont think that sheik salman would allow that because he was the one who increased the 787 order to 24.GF takes one step forward and two steps back.

T O G A Boy
25th Aug 2009, 08:43
I am so happy about this Ignore list thing.. thanks Folks

Heleheleyani
25th Aug 2009, 12:56
it's 25th today when the rosters will be out, anyone has any idea? There's not even an apology or an excuse on the AIMS, how unprofessional !

ironbutt57
25th Aug 2009, 14:50
Most lines came out yesterday...:ok:

Duh
25th Aug 2009, 20:05
Did Brass get a Bagdad sector? Curious posters want to know. :}

brassplate
25th Aug 2009, 21:33
my only wish is that all management pilots fly nothing but iraq flights for the next two months. for f^&k sake, the depth of infiltration and corruption of the security forces is deeper than originally thought, and this was admitted by prime minister maliki.
no such chance of getting me to fly there.

Albergineman
28th Aug 2009, 15:34
"All quiet on the Western Front"

tristarfivestar
28th Aug 2009, 17:09
alls well what ends well:mad:

budgetbudgie
28th Aug 2009, 18:24
If it is not a Boeing.....I'm not going!!;)

Duh
28th Aug 2009, 19:33
Are they sending any instructors into the war zone? IronButt?
Seems a little Gray, Brass?

ironbutt57
29th Aug 2009, 05:12
Didnt get any this month, but for sure it's coming...used to be based in Detroit:eek:...whats the difference???

skytrek21
29th Aug 2009, 05:48
was just curious to know....the Gulf Air Careers website does not pull up any vacancies for pilots. Has Gulf Air suspended all hiring for the moment or is there any other way to access it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sky

ironbutt57
29th Aug 2009, 06:29
Only second officers joining at the time, no expat direct entry

Krinkle
30th Aug 2009, 08:39
Did Bahrain Air make their inaugural flight to Baghdad on Friday as planned? Would have thought there would have been some sort of media coverage if they had - haven't heard a peep. Was it called off for some reason?

boiler
30th Aug 2009, 10:01
2B did not get permission to fly to BGW so their plan to outwit GF and get the upper hand in the media failed miserably. But rumor has it they will start in 2 weeks.

Panama Jack
31st Aug 2009, 14:11
2B did not get permission to fly to BGW so their plan to outwit GF and get the upper hand in the media failed miserably.

http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Red 69
31st Aug 2009, 16:19
Panama Jack

Priceless!

tristarfivestar
31st Aug 2009, 17:12
i can imagine majali doing that

Da Do Ron Ron
31st Aug 2009, 19:45
Thought you were banned ???

brassplate
31st Aug 2009, 22:10
amazing how the iraq briefs made no mention whatsoever of a war going on. baghdad only classified as category 'b' for really minor reasons. how about reclassifying it 'x' for active war zone????
there's a term to describe this.
GF HAS THEIR HEADS UP THEIR @RSES

Mike.Park
31st Aug 2009, 23:08
Good luck to those tasked with flying into Bagdad!

I wonder how many VIPs took up the invitations to be on the inaugural flight.. :bored:

brassplate
1st Sep 2009, 00:25
best of luck fellow pilots and cabin crew. it seems gf is not going to consider the latest round of suicide bombings in baghdads green zone as cause enough to delay the launch. they keep saying that they've got their ear close to the ground. which ground is that? gf hq?

Mr. R
1st Sep 2009, 07:30
^^^Weren't you supposed to resign??

tristarfivestar
1st Sep 2009, 07:38
wow today's the first flight! must be exciting for that pilot.

jetjockey737
1st Sep 2009, 11:00
Who exactly is going to want to be returning to Iraq in a civilian capacity given these latest figures???

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – The number of civilians recorded killed in violence in Iraq shot up to 393 in August, its highest level since April, after a spate of huge bombings caused carnage in Baghdad and northern Iraq.
Figures from the ministry of health showed a big increase on last month's 224 violent deaths in Iraq. The figure was also slightly higher than the 382 killed in August last year.
Two massive truck bombs in Baghdad on August 19 at government ministries killed 95 people in Iraq's bloodiest day this year. Iraqi security officials made a rare admission of culpability for failing to stop the blasts on that day.
In April, some 395 civilians died in violence in Iraq, including 105 Iranian Shi'ite pilgrims killed in bombings blamed on Sunni Islamist al Qaeda.
The numbers are still far lower than at the height of the sectarian violence between once dominant Sunnis and majority Shi'ites in 2006 and 2007. In August 2007, for example, 1,773 civilians were killed, according to the health ministry data.
The number of U.S. troops killed in hostile acts remained low at four in August, the same number killed in July, according to Iraq Colalition Casualty Count (http://www.icasualties.org), which tracks coalition casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan.
This was largely owing to sharply reduced U.S. military activity since its troops pulled out of Iraqi cities in June.
Many Iraqis fear their own security forces, rebuilt from scratch since being disbanded by Iraq's U.S. administrators after the 2003 invasion to oust Saddam Hussein, are not yet up to the job of keeping security.
At least 4,336 U.S. troops have died in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003, official figures show.
Close to 100,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed in Iraq's violence in that time, according to Iraq Body Count (http://www.iraqbodycount.org).

Desert Diner
1st Sep 2009, 11:25
Who exactly is going to want to be returning to Iraq in a civilian capacity given these latest figures???

You may find this as a suprise, but quite a few Iraqis, as well as other Arabs, tend to travel in and out of Iraq every day.:rolleyes:

Trader
1st Sep 2009, 13:01
The problems are at wherever they think they have a good target.

Krinkle
1st Sep 2009, 13:17
First return flight returned safely and without incident :ok:

Radar Contact
1st Sep 2009, 13:55
Hello,

Glad that the first flight went out and in with no incidents. Just a small comment from the very previous pages; someone mentioned MNL was never operated by an A330 ... Well you are WRONG because yesterday KJ operated this flight :)

brassplate
1st Sep 2009, 14:08
sorry to dissapoint all you gloom and doom guys...

such an immature, complacent and irresponsible statement.

^^^Weren't you supposed to resign?? Today 00:25

what are you? monitoring me now? typical of the way they do things around here. you're a bastard. whether i stay or leave is my business.

budgetbudgie
1st Sep 2009, 14:13
"MNL was never operated by an A330 ... Well you are WRONG because yesterday KJ operated this flight".

Nothing WRONG about that statement.KJ only recently started to ops.MNL.Well after the statement was made!!:=

In such way that...
1st Sep 2009, 17:04
such an immature, complacent and irresponsible statement.
"Mission given is mission accomplished"

:*

gilderoy lockhart
1st Sep 2009, 17:25
Flight Global is reporting that the Gulf A340 Fleet is up for sale!

Gulf Air is seeking takers for its Airbus A340s as its newly appointed chief executive begins a "comprehensive review" of the loss-making Bahraini flag carrier.
Aircraft trading and placement company Avinco has been handed a remarketing mandate for the five A340-300s that Gulf Air owns. The airline also has a further four A340-300s on lease.
The five aircraft - which according to Flightglobal's ACAS database are 13-15 years old - are being put up for sale or lease, says Avinco chief Francois Gautier

behramjee
1st Sep 2009, 17:47
if GF has the initiative and guts to launch BAH BGW flights, then what is stopping them from launching KBL-KABUL which can be another very high yielding destination for the carrier especially since no other GCC carrier flies to the troubled state.

tristarfivestar
1st Sep 2009, 18:22
thank god that they are getting rid of the 340s! 777s are more comfortable .well the 777s are gone now.In a total unrelated business, please read these reviews.
Gulf Air Reviews and Gulf Air Passenger Opinions about Gulf Air product and Gulf Air service standards (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/gulf.htm)

Radar Contact
1st Sep 2009, 20:05
thank god that they are getting rid of the 340s! 777s are more comfortable .well the 777s are gone now.In a total unrelated business, please read these reviews.
Gulf Air Reviews and Gulf Air Passenger Opinions about Gulf Air product and Gulf Air service standards (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/gulf.htm)

The 777's are not gone.

tristarfivestar
1st Sep 2009, 22:27
what i was trying to say is that the 777s are practically gone.Because ,the airline is ready to give them back to jet airways.The airline could of used the new airplane and give it back as it got old.Its a win win situation.Sadly,GF couldn't see that

boiler
2nd Sep 2009, 06:43
If true that GF will sell the A343s, this will mean a very big cut in their long-haul operational frequencies as new WB aircraft do not arrive until 2012. This at a time when everyone else is increasing their market share.

Albergineman
2nd Sep 2009, 08:45
If true that GF will sell the A343s, this will mean a very big cut in their long-haul operational frequencies as new WB aircraft do not arrive until 2012. This at a time when everyone else is increasing their market share.

You mean the unfortunate B787 I believe, because the A330 will touchdown here around the end of this year and some old A340 with thousand of cycles in their logbooks are not easy to negotiate anyway.

:ok:

tristarfivestar
2nd Sep 2009, 09:03
the 330s which GF has ordered will arrive in 2011.The 340s needs to be phased out any way

Panama Jack
2nd Sep 2009, 14:24
An article in the GDN about GF's return yesterday to Iraq:

Gulf Daily News » Local News » Gulf Air returns to Baghdad (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=258744)

ODMEA
2nd Sep 2009, 15:25
Im guessing as soon as EY EK QR start servies to Baghdad GF will fade into insignificance and thats not suprising considering the poor soft and hard product they offer and the rags of ac they fly.

boiler
2nd Sep 2009, 17:04
the 330s which GF has ordered will arrive in 2011

That was the original plan. After talking to some people there, it seems GF has deferred the A330s till 2012. The 787s were supposed to be delivered around 2016, but given the 2 year delay in that program, I'm sure that is no longer viable.

behramjee
2nd Sep 2009, 17:47
Gulf Air’s Chief Executive Officer has confirmed that the airline will soon operate to a total of five destinations in Iraq: Baghdad; Najaf; Erbil; Basra and Solamnia.

In a speech he gave in Baghdad, Iraq, following the arrival of Gulf Air’s inaugural flight to Baghdad Mr Majali said: “This is a great milestone for a new, forward-looking Gulf Air. We were the first and only full-service GCC carrier to operate into Baghdad back in 1976 and today we reaffirm that leadership position. I am pleased to announce to you here today in Iraq of our plans to extend our network into the country even further. My plan is that we will soon operate to a total of five destinations in Iraq: Baghdad; Najaf; Erbil; Basra and Solamnia.”

Link: Middle East Online (http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=34071)

tristarfivestar
2nd Sep 2009, 18:35
so did any one read the reviews? the reviews were disappointing.

Radar Contact
2nd Sep 2009, 21:32
Guys,

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/xxxii/166/images/Lpic2.jpg

Anyone caught the registration of yesterday's flight to Baghdad - I saw an image but it's tiny and it looks like AA (Bahrain Flag and new Paint)

Regards,

dzmeigolem
2nd Sep 2009, 21:57
It was EI, AA was scheduled to ATH at the same time.

Radar Contact
2nd Sep 2009, 23:03
Thanks mate - AA almost always does ATH or the "Gulf Run" (AUH/DMM)

tristarfivestar
2nd Sep 2009, 23:34
the plane looks so peaceful there.

Panama Jack
3rd Sep 2009, 16:53
Yes. Moreover, I believe that all of the GF A330's already are compliant. I am not certain on the status of the A340's.

A good person to ask is Khalil Radhi, Manager Flight Safety.

tristarfivestar
3rd Sep 2009, 21:10
i guess they changed it.

behramjee
4th Sep 2009, 15:28
Gulf Air is pleased to reveal PHASE II of its Iraq expansion which can be seen in your GDS systems effective immediately. Apart from the recently launched 5 weekly nonstop flights to BGW-Baghdad, GF has also decided to launch new flights to NJF-Najaf and EBL-Erbil.

Najaf is the holy city of Shiite Muslims and flights will be initially flown with a 4 weekly nonstop frequency effective Sept 26th 2009. This will later on increased to daily services effective Oct 26th 2009. The flight schedule is as follows:

GF203 Dep BAH 1120 Arr NJF 1255
GF202 Dep NJF 1410 Arr BAH 1540

Erbil is located in northern Iraq in the Kurdistan region which has seen considerable development over the past decade. GF will fly 3 times a week to EBL effective Oct 26th 2009 with the following flight schedule:

GF205 Dep BAH 1945 Arr EBL 2205
GF204 Dep EBL 2255 Arr BAH 0110+1

The above mentioned flights connect very well with LON/CDG/FRA via BAH in both directions.

All flights to BGW, NJF and EBL will be flown using GF’s fleet of Airbus A 320s.

Mike.Park
6th Sep 2009, 10:08
Interview with Gulf Air's new CEO in Arabian Business

Can he fix it? - Transportation - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/566691-givens-change)

tristarfivestar
6th Sep 2009, 12:12
Majali says: "We will take any niche that works. No option is off the table, with the exception of becoming a low cost carrier.:eek:
Bahrain's national carrier will be a low cost airline?:ugh:
The only thing the airline has to look forward to is the massive orders of the airbus planes which will soon join GF and they are taking it away. I hope the board of directors aren't that incompetent to turn the Bahrain's national carrier into a low cost carrier.That would ruin the reputation of bahrain and employees who work for the airline.I think the "ailing airline" wont get back into competition with that attitude.
Thanks for the article Mike.

Krinkle
6th Sep 2009, 12:13
Good interview and feature about the first Baghdad flight in a business magazine called The Gulf - picked it up in the airport.

Krinkle
6th Sep 2009, 12:17
"With the exception of becoming a low-cost carrier" means Gulf Air will NOT be doing that.

fractional
6th Sep 2009, 12:26
The major Gulf carriers won't be genuinely LCCs. They'll however work on operating low cost expenditure in human and material resources with 2 or 3 exceptions.
They will always have a high expenditure on ADs/PR and first/biz classes’ product/service and an "elite" top management class because they claim these guys are pivotal to the companies' successes. Each one of us has his/her own opinion on the real results of such strategy. In my humble opinion, the top notch just earns far too much for what they really produce.
I don't think, in general terms, my reasoning is wrong.

justforfun
6th Sep 2009, 16:28
Tristarefivestar: Majali says: "We will take any niche that works. No option is off the table, with the exception of becoming a low cost carrier.
Bahrain's national carrier will be a low cost airline?
The only thing the airline has to look forward to is the massive orders of the airbus planes which will soon join GF and they are taking it away. I hope the board of directors aren't that incompetent to turn the Bahrain's national carrier into a low cost carrier.That would ruin the reputation of bahrain and employees who work for the airline.I think the "ailing airline" wont get back into competition with that attitude.
Thanks for the article Mike.

A bit more school time needed for you on the basics of the English language methinks :=

tristarfivestar
6th Sep 2009, 17:41
Im a Us citizen .try to keep you comments to you self:hmm:.
Im tired of listening to you incompetent fools! Thanks for reminding me why I left GF in the first place.

Da Do Ron Ron
6th Sep 2009, 18:40
Why don't you go and buy a few computer games and play them ???

red i
7th Sep 2009, 15:50
amazing how the iraq briefs made no mention whatsoever of a war going on. baghdad only classified as category 'b' for really minor reasons. how about reclassifying it 'x' for active war zone????
there's a term to describe this.
GF HAS THEIR HEADS UP THEIR @RSES

AIP ENR 5.3−1
IRAQ 30 July 09

ENR 5.3 OTHER ACTIVITIES OF A DANGEROUS NATURE
AND OTHER POTENTIAL HAZARDS

5.3.1 All operators are advised that military operations continue to be
conducted in Iraq. Therefore, operators that undertake flights within the
Baghdad FIR shall do so at their own risk. Compliance with AIP procedures
is mandatory; safety of aircraft operating in the Baghdad FIR requires strict
adherence to AIP procedures.

5.3.2 Caution: Many airfields still have tethered aerostats within their
Control Zones.

Iraq Civil Aviation Authority

brassplate
9th Sep 2009, 10:04
i meant the brief given by gulf air.

i'm glad your notes with you.

Iraq Civil Aviation Authority

if even the iraqi caa is warning about the dangers, how on earth can gf say it's a normal operation?

they will wait only when an aircraft or someone gets shot before stopping flights.

MAHABATEN
9th Sep 2009, 11:01
From engineer in BAH, new 777's will come soon is that true?

boiler
9th Sep 2009, 14:19
No way. BAH has no money to pay for these beauties.

WELCO
9th Sep 2009, 23:45
if even the iraqi caa is warning about the dangers, how on earth can gf say it's a normal operation?

Spot on! What a contradiction that we see here! How could it be named "normal operation" when they say that if anything starts to look threatening, even if during final approach, we must head back to base!

tristarfivestar
11th Sep 2009, 19:54
wow nice article.A little inspiring ...i guess:uhoh:

wapses
11th Sep 2009, 23:51
Just give the Bahrain MPs some time and they'll start an anti-Majali campaign, just as they did with Naf.

It'll be something along the lines of ... we need a Bahraini at the helm ... we're a Bahrain airline ... we should have a national as CEO ... too many expats ... and on and on and on and on and on ....

T O G A Boy
12th Sep 2009, 02:56
This wont happen as Majali has a proven track record whereas the last two had nothing more than failures. Dose and his Swiss air and cross air disasterous record and Naf, who never held such a post in his life, didnt know nor had the experience to handle it.
Majali has brought years of experience with him, and i sincerely hope he gets all the support, financially and morally to turn GF into what it really was before....

MikeAlpha7
12th Sep 2009, 22:34
Mr Majali seems to have the right credentials , but so did Hogan and Dose ( Good old Naf was no more than a Manager at best ) , however , they both failed to lead the airline to recovery.

The problem of GF is not who the CEO is , the problem is much more deeper than that. Simply said , the airline as it stands , cannot break even let alone be profitable.

US$ 365 million , that GF is loosing annually , can service or fund a lot of projects in the public sector. Funds are required for more health and educational facilities that the country is in dire need of. The sudden explosion of the population due to government policy of giving away Bahraini citizenship to every Tom , Dick and Harry has resulted in increased pressure on the meager resources of this country,
Funds also required for new roads , better transportation system , agriculture and even little things like building decent parks or decent public beaches .
It is a question of priorities.

NOW...do you understand where the MP's are coming from ?

If only Majali had that magic wand ;)

brassplate
13th Sep 2009, 11:26
he is sooooooooooooo scrooooooood.

Mephistopheles
14th Sep 2009, 13:43
They can bring whoever they like but no one can help GF until the powers that be decide exactly what they want from GF. She cannot be a viable commercial entity & provide welfare to lazy Bahraini women, who want a free ride but do not want to show up for work & on top of that have you seen the miserable look on their faces all the time? I guess they don't realize how lucky they are that they don't have to work for their money. I believe that the best move our new CEO can do is get rid of at least 75% of them. That would be a start. But back to planet Earth now since no one has the b**** to make that decision & tell the MPs & the GF trade union where they can put their objections.

fractional
14th Sep 2009, 18:55
Majali has a proven track record
Anyone's track is as good as it publicised by the Company and Media. GF had many cases in not a very distant past.
To be good you need to be rational, cut expenditure and start anew. That's painful and the new democracy in Bahrain will not like it.
2 ways to follow. Listen to the MPs and continue the status quo or have the government be the first one to step in and take the blows caused by the new CEO to make GF start from scratch, lean and mean.

Mephistopheles
17th Sep 2009, 17:12
Well well well the new roster is out & very early indeed! Guess it can be done when all the dim wits upstairs are going on a nice long Eid holiday. Shame that can't pull their fingers out the other 11 months of the year-we might stand a chance surviving then.

budgetbudgie
17th Sep 2009, 17:45
Got a "EBL" at the end of Oct.:uhoh: Guess that's Arbil in......Iraq!!!:=

Radar Contact
17th Sep 2009, 21:42
You got it right, Erbil is far better than Baghdad tho so you should be happy :)

WELCO
17th Sep 2009, 21:45
Yes, it is! Get rolling!

Arabianoryx
17th Sep 2009, 23:10
Rosters and pay, work completed in around 3 weeks instead of 4. How is this possible during Ramadhan or any other time.

I am happy. But does this means that that these departments are 25% overstaffed. Rostering usually takes 4++ weeks from the date stated in the admin manual. Pay is steady otherwise.

wapses
17th Sep 2009, 23:33
Five or six staff from the LON office made redundant including some very long serving people.

Radar Contact
18th Sep 2009, 18:13
VT-JEG left Gulf Air back to Jet Airways

Radar Contact
18th Sep 2009, 18:23
A9C-AB has taxied on it's own engines and will be ready soon for delivery, looking positive Gulf Air .. however, no paint means it will either take time to get it painted OR we are smelling a new livery ;) :ok:

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/2/2/2/57340_1252352222.jpg

ODMEA
18th Sep 2009, 23:55
While real airlines are aquiring 777's, 380's etc, GF bods still get excited about 320's...how cute.

Oddy:8

Trader
19th Sep 2009, 01:03
Hope not--GF has the best livery on the planet, imo anyway.

tayyareci
19th Sep 2009, 12:22
While real airlines are aquiring 777's, 380's etc, GF bods still get excited about 320's...how cute.

Oddy

not defending GF for her mistakes and inefficiency but hope you are not referring EY or QR as real airlines, they have almost unlimited source of income and they dont have to make a profit, that's not a real airline at all.

ODMEA
20th Sep 2009, 01:28
I agree totally, my reference was about all major international airlines; that said, the only real airlines in the ME operating on a realistic commercial basis are RJ, MEA and to an extent GF(but their problems are of their OWN making!)The rest guzzle money from their governments like a 1950's V8 Chevvy guzzles fuel.

Oddy.

brassplate
20th Sep 2009, 11:26
LET GF SINK AND LET THE OTHER HEAVILY SUBSIDISED CARRIERS SERVICE BAHRAIN AND WORRY ABOUT THEIR OWN LOSSES!!!! BAHRAIN DOES NOT DESERVE IT'S OWN AIRLINE...TOO MANY THIEVES AND GOVERNMENT DOES NOT HAVE THE WILL TO SACK ALL THE LOCAL SUCKERS WHO ARE BLEEDING IT TO DEATH ANYWAY. BEST TO JUST LET IT DIE.

alraisia
20th Sep 2009, 12:21
Thank God We Are Out Of It.

Mephistopheles
20th Sep 2009, 20:26
Unfortunately brassplate you are 100% correct-after all these years of thieving from the other 3/2/1 owner states we are finally at an end. Guys enjoy flying for Gulf Air the oldest REGIONAL carrier in the middle east.

Sal-e
21st Sep 2009, 17:40
Although a viable but undesireable solution, I will disagree with that one. There is way too much collateral damage to Bahrain.
I think there is still some very good and viable options.
GF will certainly need to think outside the box for it though. One possible solution I can think of that is in line with the CEO's thinking with regards to merging with others. Who might be a good partner?
I'm going out on a limb to suggest Iraq.
What? Am I out of my mind? But think on it a minute.
Iraq does not have a 'real' airline. Whatever they have lacks infrastructure, international clout, experience, exposure and network.
They have a lot of money which could be well spent in reestablishing international ties. It is a well known fact that an essential catalyst to peace, prosperity and stability is an international carrier. They have nothing to lose on this one.
GF will benefit greatly from having a base closer to Europe and indeed one that will be greatly utilised in Iraqs journey to normalcy.
A gamble but one very much worth exploring I think.

Duh
21st Sep 2009, 17:48
"a base closer to Europe" WTFO ?

Radar Contact
21st Sep 2009, 20:29
I think Airline Route is mistaken. But GF is notorious for such actions ;)

mkdar
22nd Sep 2009, 11:33
Olbie
What is the GDS ? what does it stand for? please

Radar Contact
24th Sep 2009, 09:30
Hi,

Amadeus is now showing;

GF156 BAH 11:10 MNL 01:10 +1 333

I am guessing the first A333 is due to arrive soon ;) ?

Sal-e
24th Sep 2009, 12:07
First? Isn't KJ a -300?

Albergineman
24th Sep 2009, 12:17
The 333 shown is the -KJ. They do the same for the A340's coding them as A340 and A343, but they are all the same aircraft basically.

The real A330-300 was expected for January 2010 if the new management do not change the order...

:{

ODMEA
24th Sep 2009, 14:47
Not to worry, GF are great at scavenging for other carriers leftovers...I'm sure they'll find an A330 out there someplace - if not a paid for one from Tolouse.

This airline is now just hot air....just got an email telling me they had uped baggage allowance..about 4 months after EK did the same. They only mentioned the benefits of in flight nanny...dont they normally sing about the in flight chef from the highest mountain too? Or cant they afford that anymore?..stupid carrier if thats the case, one major plus and they dump it.

GF RIP

sondbird101
26th Sep 2009, 06:01
Partner up with someone? that's like sharing a bar of soap in prison.....
Why would any company consider partnering with cooked books and leadership given out to anyone that can run a cold store or a travel outlet?

fractional
26th Sep 2009, 09:18
Gulf Air goes back to basics
This is what one of the online magazines says and this is the only way out. It'll be painful for Bahrainis and Expats, but there is no other way.
The Company has to get lean, efficient and professional. Re-training the good performers staying and bringing in fresh-blood, people keen to provide the best service, will create a much better customer service. Pilots can also provide a good customer service. This is deafening for many, but pilots are part of the team even with a bullet-proof door up front.
Customer service has to improve. You cannot have an upset passenger boarding a flight because the ground services failed. Ground services include sales for this exercise.
Downsize to 20 younger aircraft. 10 short/medium-haul and another 10 medium/long haul. You can use a single aisle aircraft on medium-haul where thin traffic exists. Stay with 1 manufacturer and with twins. Airbus seems a good choice for the time being. Lease/sell the others. Perhaps leasing will keep some jobs until such a time the Company sells the aircraft for good. And there is maintenance to weigh. Out-sourcing is cheaper sometimes, but service quality isn't the best.
GF has to look at the yield. Where do I make money from? Try flying direct to the destinations the Expats in Bahrain come from. Get the cargo of imported food stuffs direct from those destinations Expats use. Don't let this traffic go to QR/EK/EY and the LCCs. They are powerful and they provide LCC prices with a 1 or 2 stops. GF has to make it non-stop and still profitable. Improve in-flight sales with competitive prices with goods passengers like to buy. Don't have expensive watches on a Karachi flight. Many passengers miss the duty-free shopping because they were late completing their departure procedures.
Through-traffic is a bonus, but again QR/EK/EY can do it cheaper right now, better and they have the money to do it.

ShinjukuHustler
26th Sep 2009, 09:44
Would you wanna share your soap with someone who has never been profitable? There is no hope of sustaining the current structure (that goes for everything; staff levels, fleet upgrades, routes etc) without lots n lots of the Sheihks lovely dinars. Same could be said pretty much for all the carriers out this way, especially the Gulf region. It's an evolution and things have dragged on like this for a long time, and may even continue for as much again, but eventually it'll come to the crunch and something will have to be done.

GF, as probably the largest employer of Bahrainis, apart from taxi driving :ugh:, would be a nightmare for the Sheihk if they had to downsize or worse, there'd be tonnes of angry Bahrainis on the streets of Manama. Might be easier for the Sheihky to keep printing the money than risk a social problem. That's one of the key differences between GF and the carriers next door. If something catastrophic happened at EK / EY etc the workforce would all have to return to their respective countries with minimal impact on the locals comparatively but GF would be a different story.

It would be in the interest of the other major players next door to see GF feel the pinch and downsize and lap up the bits worth taking but regional politics would probably play a large part in it beforehand.

Airline mergers are old hat in the West, time will tell if it catches on here.

Hustle On.:ok:

fractional
26th Sep 2009, 11:19
GF, as probably the largest employer of Bahrainis, apart from taxi driving , would be a nightmare for the Sheihk if they had to downsize or worse, there'd be tonnes of angry Bahrainis on the streets of Manama. Might be easier for the Sheihky to keep printing the money than risk a social problemShinjukuHustler,
Early retirement for the useless ones. They would be more profitable at home than at work.
This would unable GF management to keep the good performing Bahrainis and they are not just few. Many of these good guys lack direction because the management system just does not work and talent is easily wasted.
GF may not be the largest employer in the country. You have BAPCO, BATELCO, ASRY, ALBA and others and they employ loads of people.

samjetblaster
3rd Oct 2009, 21:15
Since the new CEO joined the company 2 months ago,is there any changes or improvement??:confused:

brassplate
4th Oct 2009, 04:02
the problems took years in the making. you think he will change things in two months? it doesn't really matter. this job is way over his head. the board gave him mission impossible.

Mephistopheles
9th Oct 2009, 18:14
It's all very quiet in GF these days, no word from the big boys upstairs & it's been almost a month since the new CEO communicated with us. Strange, since his last communique went on about how "communication is integral to a company's success" & about how he was "currently reviewing a number of ways in which I can communicate with you more effectively" Maybe he's given up already or will he just follow the path tread by his predecessors & just fill his boots. It's starting to look that way especially with the rumours of Embraers coming(I believe he got a very tidy comission from buying them for RJ).

Radar Contact
10th Oct 2009, 08:10
You will be hearing from him today in the new A320 ceremony :)

tristarfivestar
10th Oct 2009, 13:58
ceremony for the 320? is it a new thing that GF does because there wasnt a ceremony when the old 320s joined the fleet

Mephistopheles
10th Oct 2009, 22:13
So Radar where is your promised word from above?! As always your info is sadly lacking.

Radar Contact
11th Oct 2009, 11:33
The ceremony has been postponed to today, it's actually going on right NOW!

EK2EYengineer
11th Oct 2009, 14:21
Just came back from the ceromony all the big boys were present and the machine looks nice

fishbath21
11th Oct 2009, 18:00
Hello My friend....Do you mind telling me please if they are accepting new FO applications for non-type rated on A320....? Please I have checked the web but I cant get a answer form there.....!

Please fellow pilots ANY help on the hiring issue of the NON-type rated pilots with Gulf Air....please advise.

Duh
11th Oct 2009, 22:03
My friend at Gulf Air says they are hiring cadets only. But having difficulties because many can't even add or subtract. No expats or any other foreigners for awhile now. :}

Not Gulfair CEO
12th Oct 2009, 07:40
Dah! I am sure most of them can give you a math lesson and to your expat friends too.

ironbutt57
12th Oct 2009, 10:25
RE: the cadets being trained, don't know were you get your info mr "Duh", but it is incorrect...or at least that I have encountered anyway..

RE: the expats, yes it is correct, no direct entry rated, or otherwise have crossed my path anyway..

RoyHudd
12th Oct 2009, 21:02
Not much good at maths or grammar in that neck of the woods, allegedly. Education standards even worse than UK!