PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22

Business Suit Bree
20th Apr 2012, 14:49
Indeed. Get the 787 asap, get rid of Airbus Longhaul fleet and convert the outstanding A333 order to A320 NEO fleet to replace current A320 fleet.
Agreed to that.However,how many 320s do they require for short haul operations? More over,how many short haul destinations are there for gulf air to commence.Indian subcontinents have kept a limit on how many flights/passengers should come in when it comes to gulf air for unexplained reasons..Aside from the Arabian Gulf,the Middle eastern market is rather weak.
Cancelling the 333s would only delay gulf air from expanding since the 787s won't be joining the fleet until 2019.
As we have noticed,going purely regional and shrinking isn't proving to be a good tactic.Delaying the expansion may be fatal.
when it comes to Malaysia,Gulf Air is the only airline paying an immensely high
amount for fuel as the it hasn't been subsidiesed by the "highly educated and professional" MPs unlike its neighbours...Those subsidies allows them to to recuse their tickets price.On the other hand,being a small airline,GF needs issue competitive prices..I won't blame "curroption" actually.

Airmann
21st Apr 2012, 03:55
This argument about fuel costs is pretty stupid. At the end of the day its all the same thing to the Bahraini Government, give GF a fuel subsidy to show better figures but you'll lose out somewhere else, namely, BAPCO or whoever else is supplying jet fuel. (I'm pretty sure its BAPCO). So it doesn't really matter whether they give GF a subsidy or not, there's no incentive to any of it really, you can pretty much take the millions GF is about to get from the govt and call it a rebate for the fuel costs. Those millions come from BAPCOs profits anyway, and ALBAs, and BATELCOs, etc. etc.
So in reality GF is getting everything cheap. I remember hearing that when the EU started complaining about EKs cheap fuel the government stopped subsidizing it and started purchasing all empty seats in first class during all flights. Doesn't make a difference, its all one giant pool of money.

buba
21st Apr 2012, 14:22
Air france did the same thing as i recal

vfenext
21st Apr 2012, 15:45
I remember hearing that when the EU started complaining about EKs cheap fuel the government stopped subsidizing it and started purchasing all empty seats in first class during all flights. Thats funny!

mutt
21st Apr 2012, 16:28
Gulf Air is the only airline paying an immensely high
amount for fuel as the it hasn't been subsidiesed by the "highly educated and professional" MPs unlike its neighbours..

BSB, would you care to list what other airlines in the region are getting fuel subsidies, and what is the source of your information?

Mutt

showel
22nd Apr 2012, 07:18
Heard from a local guy that he have seen in a local newspaper that the plan is to close 9 more destinations:}:}

buba
22nd Apr 2012, 09:51
By the looks of it even AIMS is shutting down.. Lol

John21UK
22nd Apr 2012, 13:24
The 737 goes on the FRA run for a couple of weeks on selected days, when it goes double daily, IIRC. I'll have to look that one up to confirm..

EDIT: planned from 25th May till 31st May is the 737 operating the FRA on day 2 and 7 only replacing the A330. CPH will see 737 until 30SEP when A320 takes over.

So 737 is doing CPH and FRA for now.

John21UK
22nd Apr 2012, 16:12
That's how often I check the webmail. LOL...

MikeAlpha7
23rd Apr 2012, 22:46
I guess many of you heard the saga of a GF “Secretary” who is on a BD 7000 payroll and the subsequent outcry and its seismic effect on the public opinion against the company. Apparently, questions have been asked by the hierarchy demanding an explanation from GF CEO even though it seems quite outrageous to even think that a lady secretary gets such a pay in an ailing company. However, public opinion against GF was too strong to overlook and allegation of corruption must be answered while it is seeking more public funds.

Since these MP’s get their information from within GF and from their moles ( some of whom are clearly identifiable by their long beards and short robes, others are no so recognizable since they actually fly modern aircraft and work in cockpits!) , such accusation could not be out rightly dismissed.

The MP’s of the religious parties made it very clear that they hold documented evidence on the BD 7000 lady employee. A quick check by the company did not reveal any secretary on such a pay scale. A meeting is held between GF and the parliamentary committee where GF management denies such allegations. Heated exchanges and accusation pursued and finally the MPs dropped the joker.

In fact, there is a lady in GF who is on a BD 7000 pay scale. She had a meteoric rise in the ranks all within the last few years. This lady has been the target of many rumors and hate campaigns spearheaded by some local pilots. When the name was revealed along with the pay slip , GF admitted the authenticity of the document , were hesitant to ask where these confidential documents have reached the parliament , but denied that she was a secretary.

How did the wording “Secretary” came about? This is another comical tale. When the information was initially passed to the parliament by the snitch, he did not mention her position. The Mullah, or MP , who was the recipient of the document , in his stereotypical mind assumed that any lady employee means a “Secretary” , so he went and publicly accused GF of paying a secretary BD 7000 !!!

buba
24th Apr 2012, 07:24
Long beards, short skirts 'n meteorical pay rises aside.. In a nut shell there are unethical practices and discrepenceis that need to be adressed if any sort of progress, however miniscule, is to be acheived. These issues have been brought up, be it by Gandolf or some snitch maverick.
Ps.. If ya think its all down the straight and narrow in there, you be dafter than a door knob..

AeroForce
24th Apr 2012, 10:29
In fact, there is a lady in GF who is on a BD 7000 pay scale. She had a meteoric rise in the ranks all within the last few years.

Interesting, very interesting. That doesn't answer the question if the salary for this employee is justified or does it. :rolleyes:

John21UK
25th Apr 2012, 06:43
Here we go again. I give you what you want if I get what I want...
Gulf Daily News » Local News » MPs' threat to veto Gulf Air bailout (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=328761)

LNAV VNAV -
25th Apr 2012, 07:34
So basically Gulf Air is being held hostage until the demands are met? :ugh:

John21UK
25th Apr 2012, 08:38
Yep. But it's the relation between the two demands that gets me. They couldn't be more different. If they asked for Gulf Air to come up with a solid plan and show them what they achieved and what they are going to achieve and how, en fair enough. ( open goal for sarcasm :ok:)

Anyhow, politics and business go hand in hand...:ugh:

Captain Sensitive
25th Apr 2012, 15:39
And while they discuss their demands, captains will have to perform transit check in 23 destinations in order to reduce operational costs... and don't forget to bring with you a rain coat and/or an umbrella, specially with the monsoon approaching!

buba
25th Apr 2012, 16:37
I thought that notice to crew was recalled a few minutes after it was sent..

Che Guevara
25th Apr 2012, 17:00
Air Mickey Mouse.

ironbutt57
26th Apr 2012, 06:09
Mickey mouse is profitable....

Che Guevara
26th Apr 2012, 15:13
True, how about Goofie Air?

jackx123
27th Apr 2012, 04:42
In fact, there is a lady in GF who is on a BD 7000 pay scale.

Didn't know Ladies could make that much. The privilege is normally for higher class working girls. :}

John21UK
27th Apr 2012, 06:52
Gulf Air still seeking to join one of the main three global alliances.
Source: Gulf Air still seeks to join global alliance | CAPA (http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/gulf-air-still-seeks-to-join-global-alliance-152091)

John21UK
30th Apr 2012, 06:17
A321 ops info. Gulf Air Airbus A321 Operation as of 30APR12 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/04/30/gf-321-may12update2/)
Source Airlineroute.net

buba
30th Apr 2012, 12:06
Heard the further downsizing and axing of routes (if they go through) are out of the cheif's control.

showel
30th Apr 2012, 12:52
Nothing is mentioned about 321s doing FRA and CDG from Jun:confused:

buba
30th Apr 2012, 15:03
Been told that with a single additional tank the 321 dont hav the range on a heavy payload to make it to CDG. i think the original plan was for the premium 320 to operate those sectors.

John21UK
30th Apr 2012, 16:14
AFAIK it was always going to be the 320 on the FRA and CDG mixed with A330 subject to load.

Mr Angry from Purley
30th Apr 2012, 18:21
Flew GF just recently
We held for 5 mins at the taxiway end awaiting the Cabin Crew to complete the emergency PA and ready the Cabin...Is this normal the Capt was pretty slow in taxying also :\

John21UK
30th Apr 2012, 19:11
5 min doesn't sound too bad. Held for longer personally. The safety demo tape is very long indeed. Having never flown with the other M.E. carriers I've got nothing to compare it to.

The slow taxi was propably on purpose by someone who knows this. What aircraft/route was this on?

As long as you get there on time and in one piece it's a job well done. Anything else is a bonus. LOL. :ok:

John21UK
1st May 2012, 05:48
Gulf Air bailout to be discussed on thursday.
Source GDN: Gulf Daily News » Local News » MPs to study airline spending plan (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=329147)

buba
3rd May 2012, 03:47
I see they started dual rating again 320/330

LNAV VNAV -
3rd May 2012, 13:13
Is the rumour that they are grounding 4 A330s true?? :eek:

John21UK
3rd May 2012, 15:23
Don't know. If it's only 4 I'm 'happy'. I was expecting more. Any news from the wise men regarding the meeting yesterday to veto Gulf Air's future?

Captain Sensitive
3rd May 2012, 22:20
They will be replaced by three "sparkling new" A330-300!

Finally!

:D

John21UK
4th May 2012, 04:54
Any more info? Source?

Anyway, now some bad news: Gulf Daily News » Local News » Reject Gulf Air bailout, MPs urged (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=329339)
Source GDN

After last weeks ordeal, the MP that stated that his demands had to be met in order to get his vote got his approval yesterday. So one would say that the road has been cleared of obstacles and yet again, the don't do as promised. :ugh:

buba
4th May 2012, 06:27
Another local rag reports that mumtalakat is leaning towards closing gulf air, restructure and then open up again.

Albergineman
4th May 2012, 11:02
Just more of the same...

:ugh:

John21UK
5th May 2012, 05:04
A new push for more involvement and control: Gulf Daily News » Local News » MPs SEEK AIRPORT OVERHAUL (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=329400)

Ghastal
5th May 2012, 08:05
Just a quick question - Is there an FAA-approved TRTO in the ME, apart from CAE? I checked both GAA and CAE; the former, apparently, is not approved while the latter, I presume, doesn't entertain individual entities.

Atebis
9th May 2012, 07:47
Gulf Daily News » Local News » Gulf Air hits back at veto by MPs (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=329657)

MPs say NO to bailout funding.

LNAV VNAV -
9th May 2012, 09:17
Now what!? :eek:

Che Guevara
9th May 2012, 19:22
Now what!?

Update your CV?

Atebis
9th May 2012, 19:37
Gulf Daily News » Local News » MPs vote against bailout plan (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=329660)

The expanded version of the MPs vote. Check out the "moral violations" :ok:

buba
9th May 2012, 23:25
Therz alot of truth to that article.. Well except the booze bit, lol.. I like me booze. Anyways, if GF dont want to let go of its crooks why should the government let go of its dinars.

jackx123
10th May 2012, 04:47
"There are several moral violations that see female air hostesses 'serving' people off air rather than in the air.

Hmm, I remember the story about 40 Toyota Echo that GF bought for their entertainers some 15 years ago. :p

It was better in the old days.

John21UK
10th May 2012, 10:21
They've got some very good points (minus a few obvious ones) and I see it as a pressuring tool. In the end, inshallah, all will be ok. :confused:

Interesting read here:
GF eyeing a push in Saudi market and looks like Taif, Qassim and Yanbu are still on the cards after a big delay. He also states more Saudi destinations to follow.
Saudi Arabia is the most important market for Gulf Air, says CEO Samer Majali - Arab News (http://arabnews.com/economy/corporatenews/article627375.ece)

ironbutt57
10th May 2012, 11:32
The "good old days" are the very reason GF is in the state it's in now, can't blame the folks trying to put those behind us and make it viable....but the uncertainty sucks for sure......

jackx123
10th May 2012, 18:46
Butt, i believe it was a man from AUH who authorized the purchase of the vehicles.

Nevertheless it WAS much better in those days and this might be a reminder.....

Kate Ryan - Ella Elle L A - YouTube

CRUIZE
10th May 2012, 19:07
in Air Transport (http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/air-transport/) Gulf Air in final crisis fight for survival

Posted 10 May 2012 · Add Comment (http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/gulf-air-in-final-crisis-fight-for-survival.html#commentsForm)
Aviation analysts are warning that Gulf Air could be losing the fight for survival following a decision in the Bahrain parliament to reject a $1.75bn bailout to rescue the ailing airline.

MPs voted against the funding support and the bid has been referred to the Shura Council.
The parliament has been demanding a number of changes at the airline including a Bahraini national as chief executive who must have 20 years experience in the industry as part of a new Bahrainisation approach.
The parliamentarians also called for officials to be prosecuted for squandering public money. Ironically MPs also said they wanted to bring to an end external interference that affects internal policies.
MPs also agreed the airline should revise its decision-making about destinations, buying and selling aircraft and contracts with consultancy firms or recruitment agencies as well as requiring the chief executive and the performance of senior management to be closely monitored.
The decision and the comments are seen by many in the industry to make highly respected chief executive Samer Majali’s role as untenable. Majali – the former head of Royal Jordanian had introduced a plan to restructure the airline to meet the financial demands of the owners – the country’s sovereign wealth fund, Mumtalakat – but met strong opposition by some high ranking Bahrainis who wanted the airline to be seen to compete with the other major and growing Gulf airlines.
The political situation in Bahrain, along with Arab spring uprisings in other MENA countries plus the high fuel costs and world economic crisis also severely affected the airline.
In a statement today, the airline said: “The requirement for additional funding is the direct result of a series of unprecedented regional and economic factors, including a significant increase in fuel costs that Gulf Air faced, in common with other carriers around the world. Added to this Gulf Air had specific other factors to contend with. The security situation locally and in the region meant the airline was forced to suspend eight of its most profitable destinations. Further concerns such as visa restrictions and, travel bans by several countries significantly cut the number of people travelling through Bahrain.
“The airline reassures its customers today that its current operations and services would continue as normal as the legislative process evolves. As it continues to strive to provide the highest levels of customer service, the airline thanked customers for their on-going support.
“Gulf Air is an important national infrastructure asset and one of the largest employers in the Kingdom, providing direct and indirect employment to over tens of thousands of people. Despite its losses, the national carrier contributes hundreds of millions of BD annually to the country’s GDP and has a positive and wider impact on several other local businesses such as hospitality, transport and tourism. The airline is a key strategic asset that allows Bahrain to maintain a positive profile internationally and its independent destination status connecting local businesses with important regional and global markets.”
Analysts feel the problems are deeper than the external influences. Saj Ahmad said: Gulf Air is at an unfortunate crossroads with no clear sense of direction. The vote against a bailout for the airline now puts its expansion and recovery plans into serious doubt. It's all very well blaming fuel costs and regional upheaval as sources for the airlines difficulties, but the fact is that other GCC airlines are thriving and Gulf Air is waning and something needs to be done to stop that freefall.”
Suggestions have been made by some in Government that the airline could be broken up or merged with hybrid carrier Bahrain Air. Ahmad disagrees. “The problem essentially lies between what the Government wants and what Mumtalakat wants and there appears to be little in the way of consensus on how to move forward. Partnering or merging with Bahrain Air would add, not remove complexities and drive costs up further with no guarantees that synergies will ever emerge. The big three Arab carriers haven't shown much interest in Gulf Air either so they can't turn to them either. It's a classic case of too many cooks spoiling the broth but no one wants to wield the axe to save the airline and guarantee its future.
“This sort of quagmire is unsustainable and something will have to give. With the airline looking at cutting its Airbus A330 orders and deferring its Boeing 787-8 orders, Gulf Air will be devoid of new airplanes to assist growth and will be unable to control its fuel bill as effectively, and with jobs on the line too, there's a great risk that service and quality will suffer too.
“Gulf Air can't survive for long in this state and some hard decisions are needed to ensure its viability - just as Kuwait Airways has become an unattractive state airline, Gulf Air too is quickly running down this same path - and it's not easy to come back from that. The market in the GCC is brutally unforgiving."
Local newspaper Gulf Daily News was covering the parliament session. It reported today that in the session, attended by Finance Minister Sheikh Ahmed bin Mohammed Al Khalifa and Transportation Minister Kamal Ahmed, Gulf Air temporary committee chairman Abdulhaleem Murad said the airline's losses had reached around $5 billion since 2009, when the existing management took the reins.
"There are around four million vacant seats each year and this shows that the management has done nothing to ensure more business because that rate continues and that of course is one of the main reasons behind the mounting losses of BD2bn," Murad said. "Turkish Airlines has 150 aircraft and 24 directors, here we have 50 aircraft and 34 directors, who unfortunately receive orders on what to do from outside the board.
"We have asked for board meeting reports, but the airline has not presented us even with the dates of their meetings or when they last met. Gulf Air has to stay, but it will have to learn how to deal with its problems without back-up from the government."
A spokeswoman from Gulf Air said: “Gulf Air is disappointed by Parliament’s decision not to accept the Government’s proposal to re-capitalise Gulf Air. Gulf Air understands that the decision has now been referred to the Shura Council for further discussion as the democratic processes continues and looks forward to a resolution that will actively address Gulf Air’s current position and secure its long term sustainability.”

* required field Post a comment

Enter Your Comment *

John21UK
10th May 2012, 20:24
Interesting read and it got me thinking. How are Qatar and the other airline from the UAE setup? Ie, who controls them and do they have their own Mumtalakat and Goverment in control? Or are they allowed to 'run free' and they'll get any help/support they require?

buba
14th May 2012, 06:38
Loads in/out CDG dropped significantly. Ground staff says bookings for next 3 months significantly down.. His words 'why travel on a cramped 320, when other carriers offer more'
From nxt month paris full time 320, 9 flights a week.

brassplate
14th May 2012, 07:24
gf is screwed. they couldn't tell their noses from their @rses right now.

Panama Jack
14th May 2012, 12:27
Given the tone of politicians interviewed in recent news articles, I wonder if Gulf Air is facing a "shotgun wedding" with Bahrain Air? Makes no commercial sense for Gulf Air (perfect sense as an exit strategy for the stateholders of Bahrain Air), but given the politics . . . .

Merger is out of our hands, says Gulf Air | ArabianSupplyChain.com (http://www.arabiansupplychain.com/article-7512-merger-is-out-of-our-hands-says-gulf-air/)

buba
14th May 2012, 14:26
If bah air would do subcontinent and mideast and we'r left with west of cairo and east of dhaka they'd hav my blessings lol

John21UK
14th May 2012, 14:29
Why are we almost 4 months down the line after the alleged start date and still haven't started Yanbu and Taif?

FlyDubai is increasing their service and now this: Turkish Airlines to Start Yanbu / Taif Service from June 2012 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/05/14/tk-ynbtif-jun12/)

Che Guevara
14th May 2012, 17:05
Loads in/out CDG dropped significantly. Ground staff says bookings for next 3 months significantly down.. His words 'why travel on a cramped 320, when other carriers offer more'
From nxt month paris full time 320, 9 flights a week.

No surprise there, indeed would you chose a 320 over a triple 7? Neither would any of us, however I did see an RJ 320 in LHR recently...:rolleyes:

John21UK
15th May 2012, 04:17
Gulf Air might get a lifeline by the Shura council and get 1/3rd of the money to survive until the end of the year. Then they're looking at incorporating further rescue packages into the 2013-2014 goverment budget.
Source GDN: Gulf Daily News » Local News » Shura lifeline for Gulf Air? (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=330101)

Especially pay attention to the very last sentence...!:bored:

buba
15th May 2012, 05:10
@che.. GF did feasability studies, i been told, to send 320 to LHR, but it turned out technically impossible..yeah seen RJ in heathrow aswel.. They get around lol.

John21UK
15th May 2012, 12:38
A bit of good news: Jet Airways to Cancel Mumbai – Bahrain Service from mid-June 2012 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/05/15/9w-bombah-jun12cxld/)

Source: airlineroute.net

brassplate
16th May 2012, 06:12
funny that airlines thrive on other airline's woes. but in bahrain, bahrainair's woes are about to be gf's woes.

jackx123
17th May 2012, 03:27
so what is REALLY new at GF? when i arrived in -97 the same tunes were played on bankruptcy.

Moaning pilots and unhappy bahrainis. Nothing seems to have changed dramatically over 15 years.

buba
18th May 2012, 07:49
In the local rag today..
.The government refuses to restructure GF, the board and management.
.GF looking to sell 4 A330s (something the parlaiment committee finds a bit strange seeing that summer is around the corner and that GF might capitilise on that)

My take on the whole thing, someone is trying to sell GF peicemeal, make a quick buck and wash their hands of any responsibility. The parlaiment committee is making alot of sense.

John21UK
21st May 2012, 14:09
Gulf Air increasing Dammam: Gulf Air Increases Dammam Service | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/05/21/gf-dmm-may12/)

Source airlinerroute.net

John21UK
22nd May 2012, 06:40
Shura Council now on a 5 month summer recess. Now that's what I call parttime.
Gulf Daily News » Local News » Shura Council goes into summer recess (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=330568)

Surely it can't mean we have to wait 5 months on a verdict regarding the rescue package?

showel
22nd May 2012, 13:41
Johny, when shura is on holiday, everything is decided by the King:E:}

Yo767
22nd May 2012, 15:37
Long live the King!

John21UK
22nd May 2012, 15:39
Ok, that should be good news then as he's pro-Gulf Air. Bring on a payrise as well...:p

mamamia
25th May 2012, 15:40
the only rise you gonna get is alot of resignations and still roster is not out the only out thing is how many pilots are leaving:eek:

John21UK
25th May 2012, 16:07
The more folks leave the better to be honest. I don't mean that in a negative way but it will help those who'd like to stay and favour what we pilots want.

Howlate can they publish the rosters...?!

Atebis
25th May 2012, 17:37
As late as they want....

Many pilots have come and gone for over 60 years. They really don't care about 'what we pilots want.' The problems going on right now go far beyond pilot rosters.

40&80
26th May 2012, 22:03
But I wonder...Did all the Gf decline and problems really start with the "Sign or Resign" new/ worse contracts which were presented to expats. and pilots back in 1976?
I always thought this was the point G.F. lost my good will and from then on the best people left...I of course stayed until 200.:ok:

Atebis
31st May 2012, 04:43
Gulf Daily News » Local News » Gulf Air overhaul plan plea (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=331188)

"There are 1,800 Bahrainis in Gulf Air and we assert that they are not subject to lay offs,"

Comforting for the expats. :ok:

mamamia
31st May 2012, 06:30
samer said yesterday in gulf air meeting he has no money and he will not pay indemnity and he wants to cut salaries by 20 % and i wonder now why managment and TRE where leaving so fast specialy they get 400hundred bd in:D their indemnity

Landflap
31st May 2012, 10:45
So, you have a CEO who declares bankruptcy, declares that he will not pay indemnity, wants to cut salaries by 20% and claims all Bahrainis will be safe ! Lots of muddled thinking from the Guy at the helm ! " We have no money" but Bahrainis are safe. Good grief. Expats should have seen the Tsunami coming a long time ago & made good a reasonable escape. Many Bahrainis did !

Parabellum. Spot on. As ever.

Again, my compassion still goes out too all who will, inevitably suffer. The Tsunami is, finally, about to hit the shore. Take to the high ground now. Oh, damn, there is no high ground in Bahrain & never has been.

John21UK
31st May 2012, 15:06
Applications have been send...

John21UK
1st Jun 2012, 05:08
How many Airbusses are there currently? Not counting the 340's.

buba
1st Jun 2012, 07:39
As long as GF interests remain secondary to the other 'establishments' (BAS,BAFCO.. etc, etc) it will never make money no matter how big or small the fleet becomes.
Ps.. With 20% pay cut can i work 20% less in the form of days off.. I'l take my pay cheque into a BKK account, the singha is cheap and me dinars might go a long way.. Lol

John21UK
1st Jun 2012, 09:39
Thanks Olbie. Heard the E170's are going around Oct/Nov time with E190's staying till the end of their contracts. (mid 2013)

I anything they need more Embraer's not less. Flying the 320 with 10 ish pax is bad on a E170 let alone on the A320.

ironbutt57
1st Jun 2012, 10:38
Sector per sector the EMB may be more efficient, but the overall cost of acquiring and maintaining a separate fleet, might actually make the 'Bus lest costly...either way, not good to see planes disappearing....but the airline needs to be fixed...

John21UK
1st Jun 2012, 11:05
Thats why a fleet of 4 doesn't make sense, you're right. Triple that or more is what Gulf Air needs. A combo of E170/E190 (or even 195) filling the gaps from 67 till 96 seats with the A320 taking the next step up in capacity and range.

And yes, aircraft efficiency is only part of the game. The rest comes from the office...

ironbutt57
1st Jun 2012, 11:20
A fleet of 5 seems to be the magic number if i remember from airline-101, and the plan was for more, and savings to be realized after 5 years as the start-up costs are written down....a seemingly good plan that got "interrupted" unfortunately...

jackx123
1st Jun 2012, 15:49
so gf will downsize to 5 x 320 :}

Apache702
2nd Jun 2012, 01:35
i am starting to think that i left GF just on time :) got my indemnity at least, and now flying as a Captain 320, for once in my career i feel that i made a good career decision :8 :)

mickeydazzler
2nd Jun 2012, 21:44
from a long distant costly call i understand not all ex pat DEs are leaving

John21UK
3rd Jun 2012, 10:02
I think most expat DE's don't fancy leaving because they can't get more money elsewhere and the lifestyle at amwaj.

Keep hearing rumors about Gulf Air wetleasing their A340's in a deal with Boeing to a European airline flying from a EU base to South America. With Gulf Air crews thus 'based' at that airport. First thing that came to mind was Iberia or TAP.

Also, heard there might be a deal with MEA or Egyptair with regards to some of the 330's that are now put on 'soft grounding.'

We'll see if any of this is true or well made up...

Airmann
3rd Jun 2012, 13:43
No its true, you can't get the Amwaj lifestyle at that price anywhere else in the ME. Bahrain is still cheaper than everywhere else around the gulf, and the standard of living is one of the highest. Not to mention that people in Bahrain are just happy, and actually smile more often than not, which isn't the case for most other places in the region. And don't talk to me about Dubai, because that's the one exception, and to be honest its a massive sprawling metropolis, so there's no point in comparing it with Bahrain. No one leaves Bahrain for another Gulf destination except that they wish they were back in Bahrain.

buba
5th Jun 2012, 05:03
Here is what a billionare said about economies in crisis..'You cannot reduce the debt burden by shrinking the economy, only by growing your way out of it," and i think that applies to the current situation in gulf air.
On the upside of the downsize, looks like we won't be worn to the ground this summer..a bit of a breather.

bus_aviator
5th Jun 2012, 18:57
Not according to this Air Transport News (http://www.airtransportnews.aero/article.pl?mcateg=&id=37142) buba, so i ask since everything is so peachy what the hell is going on?

buba
6th Jun 2012, 07:26
Its called denial.. Lol.. Saw the same article in yesterdays rag

Calmcavok
6th Jun 2012, 08:55
According to an engineer, the A340s are being re-activated....

John21UK
6th Jun 2012, 11:20
But not for Gulf Air maybe...? See my reply 3rd of june.

showel
6th Jun 2012, 13:30
Johny, it will be good for GF if these 340 will be reactivated even for wet lease to somebody else, at least GF can cover the cost of having them, and the crews will be busy:E

John21UK
6th Jun 2012, 13:54
Definitely!

bus_aviator
7th Jun 2012, 01:54
Air Transport News (http://www.airtransportnews.aero/article.pl?mcateg=&id=37206)

I just don't get it anymore are we flying airplanes or computers, it seems that these IT guys have us convinced that the only reason we pilots are around is so that IT can exist...here I was thinking that the reason IT exists is because we fly airplanes hence the term an "Airline". So this is where the bail out money would go to IT? Bravo shura don't approve it....oh I especially loved the part about emergency situations in bahrain such as "floods" boy last time bahrain was flooded it was really bad yep remember that right around the time Noah was cruising by in the arc....ARGHHHHH enough

buba
8th Jun 2012, 08:33
How Airlines Spend Your Airfare - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303296604577450581396602106.html?mod=priorit y_pass)

Mephistopheles
12th Jun 2012, 18:38
So the rumor of the 340 being wet leased to some outfit is Portugal is gathering steam. They will operate Lisbon-South America routes. Wonder how many volunteers are going to step forwards,bearing in mind how crews on basing in the past have been treated.

John21UK
12th Jun 2012, 19:37
60 crews apparantly is what they need. Are we talking three A340's? Because there is one that has yet to be moved from storage.

One route is rumoured to be to Caracas and another might be Bogota. Must be TAP, right?

Anyone knows when it might commence, and for how long?

John21UK
13th Jun 2012, 10:35
Some minor W12 schedule news:
Gulf Air W12 Operation Changes as of 13JUN12 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/13/gf-w12update1/)

Source: Airlineroute.net

Speedbrake Lever
13th Jun 2012, 14:06
Well

I know things aren't getting on that well there

but today it has all ended for me with GF

28 years of service - i tried to get a ticket and was told

sorry you're not entitled to one

Pity cos i still held GF high up in my esteem

but now i'll just join the ranks of the " Who Cares"

a very sad day for me to have to think this way

bye bye GF

S.L.

John21UK
13th Jun 2012, 16:12
Wow, 28 years eh...I was only a few years old back then. Not that I am calling ya old... ;-) Anyway, that's no way to treat anyone let alone someone who's seen it all with Gulf Air. Until you went for your ticket that is... Enjoy!

migrane
16th Jun 2012, 09:08
Just heard that 11 A320 trainers resigned during the weekend

South Prince
16th Jun 2012, 09:38
If confirmed will there be any job openings?

ironbutt57
16th Jun 2012, 10:52

Really??? How do you quit during the weekend?? Nobody in the office...:hmm:

migrane
16th Jun 2012, 12:20
Emails...that is what i heard anyways

40&80
16th Jun 2012, 13:01
Not a problem...Gulf Air appears to never answer Emails as a SOP.this was my experience with G.F. Staff Travel Bahrain.
To have SNAFU as a company SOP.....will not inspire people to lend/you
give/you or loan/you 663 million anything...the lenders may simply say Fu../you...which incidentally is what Gulf Air say to staff who have worked for them for many years....this airline management richly deserve to fail...just like their predecessors' did.

Che Guevara
16th Jun 2012, 17:31

Why would so many 'trainers' want to resign all at once?
Sandier pastures perhaps?

Interesting rumour never the less....

mickeydazzler
17th Jun 2012, 10:49
:D

Latest word from the Kingdom...at least 13 A320 trainers
and some DE's mounted a surprise attack over the weekend
by resigning. It seems some people still have balls in the company.
Wish I was still there to see the sparks fly today !

gcc_
17th Jun 2012, 12:40
I haven't heard anything as such.. Hmm.

mamamia
17th Jun 2012, 13:39
its 16 trainners they dont want antoine

mamamia
17th Jun 2012, 13:40
about pilots alot are leaving going to be big sunami putting the last dager for cruelest ugliest warm welcome to stuborn immoral and so on

mamamia
17th Jun 2012, 13:44
guess what the a320 fleet manager went on leave

showel
18th Jun 2012, 15:07
guess what Etihad started hiring DECs:D

mamamia
18th Jun 2012, 16:58
thats been posted 2 weeks ago

John21UK
18th Jun 2012, 17:29
Besides those 13+ pilots resigning they need time to coordinate with their wifes and come up with a coordinated resignation plan.

mickeydazzler
18th Jun 2012, 18:37
one of the irish guys has been sacked by antoine ! thats either ML or HB !

AeroForce
19th Jun 2012, 08:29
:= AA doesn't have that kind of executive power.
If any "sacking" has really taken place it would have been executed by flight operations management. Happy landings

AeroF

mamamia
19th Jun 2012, 19:09
ml or hb are nice guys antoine need to start looking soon to land his butt some where else or some body going to kick his fat ugly dirty butt

mamamia
21st Jun 2012, 05:37
Etihad having a road show in bahrain on th 22 and 23 of june at movenpick its in gulf daily news

MBA84
21st Jun 2012, 06:50
Here's the link to the advert mentioned above
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/source/XXXV/093/pdf/Page34.pdf

Radar Contact
21st Jun 2012, 21:50
AMS is delighted to announce that it has been retained as sole remarketing agent by Gulf Air for the remarketing of four (4) Airbus A330-200 aircraft.*

The aircraft, serial numbers 276, 281, 286 and 287 were all manufactured in 1999 and are Rolls-Royce Trent powered.* The aircraft are available for sale or lease, and are available from now through July, with the last aircraft being released by Gulf Air in December this year.

KA,KB,KC,KD are the aircraft in question

gcc_
23rd Jun 2012, 11:24
Any news from guys that attended it?
You guys gone already?:E

mamamia
23rd Jun 2012, 18:20
antoine is suspended :rolleyes:

showel
24th Jun 2012, 12:43
Saw Antoine in his chair today:rolleyes::rolleyes::ouch:

ironbutt57
24th Jun 2012, 17:24
Well....if you don't know for sure...then you shouldn't bag someone by name here....it could be you someday...not taking sides either way...just being realistic.....dont let it become like another airline here where a bunch of whining euro-brats spoiled it for everybody....

John21UK
25th Jun 2012, 18:37
Gulf Air to manage fleet to cut costs by in-sourcing maintenance of entire fleet.

Bahrain's Gulf Air to manage fleet to cut costs - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com (http://m.arabianbusiness.com/bahrain-s-gulf-air-manage-fleet-cut-costs-463374.html)

Landflap
28th Jun 2012, 08:28
thanks Olbie. Can't quite see what this has to do with GF Developments..............or, am I missing something here ?

Panama Jack
28th Jun 2012, 14:48
.....dont let it become like another airline here where a bunch of whining euro-brats spoiled it for everybody....

You mean at "Teahid"? Oh shoot, am I even allowed to say the word "Teahid?" Sorry, I didn't mean "Teahid." I mean "United" in Arabic. Oh, am I allowed to say that word or do I need to lock my doors tonight and sleep with the slingshot under my pillow? :E

ironbutt57
28th Jun 2012, 18:12
Careful PJ, the "Big Beer Belly Boyz" gonna give you a good thumping:}:}

Landflap
29th Jun 2012, 21:08
touk, thanks. Still don't get it but I am slowing up now. Swansong is LGW-TFS-LHR, taxi back to LGW, Arrive early morning and I do not think CEO will be giving me a kiss on both cheeks ! Will still visit GF developments because many, dear mates, are still hangin in there. Always wanted to be a FAA ATR outa Sandiego with Western. FAILED !BORT, as we say in Mancunia.......................It's been a laff. Orite la ?

Che Guevara
30th Jun 2012, 21:54
What's the word on the 2 A321's parked in Toulouse?

John21UK
1st Jul 2012, 00:12
'CC' is scheduled to arrive here on the 3rd IIRC. Don't know about 'CD'.

Typo or genuine? Gulf Air Glasgow Service Displayed in July 2012 Gulf Life | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/30/gf-july12/)

If you want to go to Scotland don't go for GLA but go for EDI. Thats where the money is and they don't have a direct ME service unlike GLA with their double daily EK flights. GLA is holiday/charter traffic. EDI is rumored to get a direct service from AUH.

The map shows more 'errors' as it show we fly to several places in Iran, Iraq, but no Gassim, Taiff, Yanbu and Yuba that have been announced 6 months ago buy are still not served. I wonder who authorised this map?

John21UK
2nd Jul 2012, 17:24
Incident: Gulf A320 at Chennai on Jul 1st 2012, medical emergency (http://avherald.com/h?article=4520dd1d&opt=0)

Passenger gets stung by a scorpion onboard a Gulf Air 320.

LNAV VNAV -
3rd Jul 2012, 14:33
The article further down below the ''Employer Notes'', is from Arabianbusiness.com. Notice the ''... is planning to increase its fleet of aircraft and expand its route network....'' statement. How does that tie with the

'' Employer Notes

Gulf Air is looking at shrinking it's fleet from 35 to 20 while reducing the frequencies to most of it's major hubs. Recently cancelled 4 routes.''

from PilotCareerCentre.com ??? :sad:

Gulf Air to miss 2012 breakeven target, CEO says

ByShane McGinley ([email protected])

Wednesday, 6 July 2011 8:04 AM
http://m.arabianbusiness.com/incoming/article360086.ece/ALTERNATES/g1l/Gulf-Air.jpg
a.smartlink,a.smartlink:link,a.smartlink:visited{color: #cc0000;text-decoration: underline;border-bottom: 1px solid #cc0000;}a.smartlink:active,a.smartlink:hover{color:#cc0000; border-bottom: 2px solid #cc0000;}#jHelperTipContainer{background:#ffffff;padding:5px ;color:#cc0000;font:9px verdana;}Gulf Air, the national carrier of Bahrain, will not make its target to break-even by 2012 and has not ruled out further staff redundancies, the airline’s CEO said.
“We basically set a deadline of 2012 to create a dynamic, commercially sustainable business… However, due to recent events, leading to the loss of passengers in and out of Bahrain, meeting the financial targets will be a challenge,” Samer Majali, CEO of Gulf Air, told Aviation Business magazine, as the carrier struggles to recover from the impact of the political unrest which has engulfed the country.
“There will probably be a slight delay... We will probably allow for a three-to-six month delay in completing the [financial] strategy – nothing too major. I assume the breakeven will hopefully be achieved in early 2013 or the middle of 2013,” he added.
As a result of the impact of the global financial crisis, which led to a downturn in the aviation sector, the carrier suffered financially and was in the process of a three-year restructuring plan, which was on course to see the it breakeven by the end of next year.
However, the outbreak of political unrest in the Gulf state saw nearly 30 protestors killed and martial law declared in March. The carrier was forced to suspend flights to Iran, Iraq and Lebanon and issue refunds when the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix was also postponed. As a result, passenger bookings in the first five months of 2011 dropped by around 25 percent.
As a result of the cost cutting initiatives, staff redundancies were also unavoidable. “Around 1500 staff were dropped in the space of 18-20 months,” Majali is quoted as saying. He also did not rule out further possible staff cuts: “The manpower situation will continue to be watched closely to fine-tune our resource allocation. Of course, our priority will always be retaining the best and most productive talent, safeguarding the jobs of employees that work hard to ensure our long-term success. Looking ahead, there will not be major redundancies as before.”
Despite its financial troubles, Majali was confident he can turnaround the airlines fortunes and is planning to increase its fleet of aircraft and expand its route network.
“As part of a pilot project, we have leased two Embraer 170 Advanced Range (AR) jets, which are configured in dual-class layout. This has proved such a success that we are planning to introduce around 10 regional jets into our fleet, which could be Embraer, Airbus or Bombardier,” Majali said, with an order expected to be confirmed at the Bahrain Air Show in January next year.
In terms of its route network, Majali said Gulf Air was aiming “to serve the kingdom with higher frequency, non-stop services to more destinations within a three-hour radius. “Ultimately we want to serve every capital and major city in the Middle East with at least a double daily service,” he added.

John21UK
3rd Jul 2012, 15:23
The article below is almost 1 year old. But nothing has changed since then in terms of breaking even. Having said that, some good developments recently are hopefully having a positive impact.

LNAV VNAV -
3rd Jul 2012, 16:31
'Good developments'? Like what? I would like to know because at this time I am thinking of updating my CV! :sad:

John21UK
3rd Jul 2012, 18:54
I know, I know, it's certainly not all rozes but what I'm trying to do is just give this thread some positive vibes back. I was refering to 320 ops to CDG/FRA, more frequencies here and there, new 320 series aircraft coming in, old 330's leaving. Someone did some maths somewhere that it's cost effective to tanker round trip everywhere I go as of late. Also the insourceing of its Fleet Technical Management. The rumored A340 wet lease iso wasting BD700.000 per annum with them just sitting idle. At least we see something happening.

What I don't understand is why GF does not go for the domestic Saudi market now that has been opened up. Just read today that Qatar is looking to start a sister company in Saudi pending some changes being made by those in power. This would have been an ideal move by GF as Bahrain and Saudi are best buddies. You've gotto be bold and spend money to make money. Look at Bahrain Air flying out of Dammam...

Anyway, I'll propably get flamed for saying this... :D

LNAV VNAV -
3rd Jul 2012, 19:33
It IS nice to hear that some things are happening but what about the fleet reduction from 35 to 20? :uhoh:

Landflap
4th Jul 2012, 08:52
John, on Pprune, you get flamed for saying anything ! Your optimism,well meant suggestions, loyalty etc are pleasing in the current, dreadful, environment but sadly, perhaps, a little naive. I would still prefer blokes like you on my team.

CEO paraphrased quite well & knows the way forward providing "Parliament" let him do what is required. One has to recognise that GF has fallen too far behind it's local & global competitors to ever recover former glory. The big boys on your doorstep are already there. GF has to accept that it is just a Regional Carrier, a feeder to it's "brothers" & get on with it. Downsizeing, redundancies & other cost reducing measures are a painfull dose of reality medicine.

Recognising corruption is one thing. Doing something (like Andrew Dose did) is another. Too many fat cat's have vested interests & I doubt that this can ever be cured. Hey, it is not just a GF thing, look at Barclays in the UK for heavens sake ! Powerful measures, properly backed must be taken to stop the open theft that has crippled GF for ages.

The mindset of management has also to be cured. Far too many jobs for the boys rather than employment for the most capable has left GF in a laughable state for many years. I too, once pointed out to my Fleet Manager that there was a way of reducing fuel costs considerably. I was given a wry smile & told by the Fleet Assistant that I "cared too much" !
I was actually told to "care, less" and" just do the job; We will manage, you fly the planes " !!!

I & many others have said it before; Management hands are tied by inept seniors probably to protect sticky fingers in the till but also because of the crazy "Loss Of Face" syndrom which is a particular Middle East syndrom.

I sadly foresee the complete demise of this once mighty giant in the sky. For the chaps seeking to revise CV's..................you have left it too late.

Che Guevara
4th Jul 2012, 20:41
For the chaps seeking to revise CV's..................you have left it too late.
Judging from the incessant beat of drums and the constant 'twitter' of the bush- telegraph, I would say that we are about to witness the biggest exodus ever recorded in the history of this once mighty giant, the latter being your words of course.
So no, it's not too late, but rather timely I'd say.

John UK, I have always enjoyed your optimism in this bleak and foreign land, and wish you well, for road ahead looks challenging, to say the least. Fear thee well.

repapips
4th Jul 2012, 22:02
Landflap:

I & many others have said it before; Management hands are tied by inept seniors probably to protect sticky fingers in the till but also because of the crazy "Loss Of Face" syndrom which is a particular Middle East syndrom.

Why is it that this "Loss of Face" affects Bahrain only when it's a particular Middle East syndrome?

Soft Altitude
5th Jul 2012, 10:24
Ola Che :

... or, is all this crisis just another "cleansing" process a la Andre Dose/Bjorn Naff style, to reduce the pilot population and increase the salary for the remaining bunch ? ;)
Happy landings !

mutt
5th Jul 2012, 15:29
What I don't understand is why GF does not go for the domestic Saudi market now that has been opened up. Did you read the comment by QR about fuel costs and capped route prices? Not to mention the available traffic?

Look at FlyDubai flying out of places like Gassim, the flight time to Dubai is about 1:15, their international fares are not capped, and they can probably tanker in their return fuel. Now compare that to operating Gassim to Jeddah with the same flight time.

Mutt

John21UK
5th Jul 2012, 15:48
What I don't understand is why GF does not go for the domestic Saudi market now that has been opened up.
Did you read the comment by QR about fuel costs and capped route prices? Not to mention the available traffic?

I did indeed. But Qatar would only be pushing for it if they felt they could get things changed and there was sufficient ROI to warrant the effort and expenses.

Icarus
5th Jul 2012, 16:13
A Middle Eastern Carrier and ROI in the same sentence - isn't that what they call an oxymoron?

mutt
5th Jul 2012, 16:25
But QR arent pushing for it, in fact there is very little interest.... Of the 14 original contenders it will be interesting to see how many are still in the game come september....

I can see them seeking long haul international routes into Europe from Jeddah, or similar....

Icarus, Its no fun if we have to make money :)

Mutt

John21UK
10th Jul 2012, 07:16
Bahrain air passenger traffic up 12% | HotelierMiddleEast.com (http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/14651-bahrain-air-passenger-traffic-up-12/)

mamamia
10th Jul 2012, 12:57
reduction in salaries 1% for all employee

SCATANA
10th Jul 2012, 15:24
Funny how she says in the memo that it's only temporary until "the financial situation improves" without defining what "the financial situation improves" means.

As far as I know, we've been waiting for the financial situation to improve since 1996 :ugh:

EK2EYengineer
10th Jul 2012, 15:31
Correct me if i am wrong i think this is only for locals

Albergineman
10th Jul 2012, 15:44
Correct me if i am wrong i think this is only for locals

The benefit is only for locals, but the deduction is for everybody. It was suspended back in 2007-8 due to massive resignation and came along with a new salary package...

:{

Che Guevara
10th Jul 2012, 17:34
One would have to search long and hard to find a reason to stay on here as this will be the final nail in the coffin for many, because once instituted, you can bet your last Dinar, that the one percent will rise to 3 to 5 and so on.

It will be interesting to see how this will will affect the Indemnity...

Albgineman is spot on, the expats will not see one fil of benefit.

Good luck all, the mighty Dirham is looking better by the day.

mamamia
10th Jul 2012, 22:50
another T/R/e is leaving having his real greek salade with real derhams with mapel leaf who had a no show to del thinks will get exiting the 1% will be great laugh to see how much jump seats will be there soon

bus_aviator
11th Jul 2012, 10:48
this 1% is the tip of the iceberg i hear, plus across the pond etihad is filling up quick on their required numbers i hear from a friend there...it's masalama for me boys

AeroForce
11th Jul 2012, 19:53
The gap in the remuneration package between GFA and that of the neighbours has been growing since the revised pay package in 2007. And SM has now increased it further.

SM joined and revised the pay and allowance package for all the office staff back in 2010, benchmarking the packages to equivalent sectors in the region. Simplifying the allowances package and an overall increase in the total pay.

Operational staff (Pilots, Cabin Crew and Engineers) were also up for this review in 2011 and a similar process of benchmarking the remuneration package to equivalent jobs in the region. The talk was a 15% increase in pay, "conveniently" this was scrapped in the wake of the political unrest and in the interest of cost cutting and bonusses for management. Never to be mentioned again by the CEO and senior management. :ugh:

Instead of the in 2009 promised review and increase in pay, a 1% paycut!
What is next: communication allowance, transport allowance, school allowance and last but not least housing allowance. :yuk:

Waiting for the right moment and a call from the neighbours.
ma'a salama

Force

samjetblaster
11th Jul 2012, 20:53
Cheers mate:ok:

Gordomac
12th Jul 2012, 09:26
Mamamia, sorry, read post 4357 many times over but still, no comprendi ! Whatever your drinkin, pass over the bottle. Oh and did someone say " ETIHAD" !!!!! Good news is that there are opportunities elsewhere (in your own backyard, actually). Don't wait until these chances dry up. Sad situation indeed & bon chance to all.

mamamia
12th Jul 2012, 21:19
as long as they have pizza i will be there :ok:

MacManiac
12th Jul 2012, 21:53
heard SM was at the airport and seemed angry! :E

mamamia
14th Jul 2012, 16:29
Iraq its coming lads next month they are going to be short in pilots again i guess SM is going to be here:8

John21UK
14th Jul 2012, 16:41
Next on the agenda: Iran:ugh:

Yo767
14th Jul 2012, 17:48
I will gladly fly to Iran and Irak when I get my 1% paycut back.

Atebis
15th Jul 2012, 17:47
Looks like both E170's are done. No longer on the schedule from July 29th

showel
15th Jul 2012, 19:05
And what about epilots?:rolleyes:

Mephistopheles
15th Jul 2012, 20:16
So the axe is flying-cu(n)ts here, cu(n)ts there & all the while management & their coolies are praising their cost cutting measures. I thought being a manager was about delievering the same or better safety & service for a lower cost basis? Seems like all the heroes upstairs care about is the reducing of costs regardless of the effects on safety & service in order to secure themselves a nice big bonus. It seems like our esteemed managers/bonus hunters are driving us & all our trusting passengers towards a nice big juicy distaster. Hope I'm wrong.

Atebis
16th Jul 2012, 09:06
And what about epilots?

They will most likely be downgraded to the less advanced airbus :8

showel
16th Jul 2012, 10:43
Are u sure that they will not be downgraded to 3 months notice?:rolleyes:

Atebis
16th Jul 2012, 11:21
Nothing is 'for sure.'

Hell....the Embraer 170's was rumored to be gone in Sept. Now they only have six days of flying left.

The 340's were supposed to be gone 5 years ago........now... Wet lease. (possibly)

The only thing that is 'for sure' is death......and in other parts of the world...taxes!

ironbutt57
16th Jul 2012, 16:58
Maybe they just idled the 170's due to Ramadan and less flying....

John21UK
16th Jul 2012, 17:18
Almost all my Embraer flights are moving to Airbus, all that go are on the 170's. 24 Days off this month and not a single leave day...

showel
16th Jul 2012, 17:32
That is not a surprise, most of the flights end of last month and beginning of this were full full full:ugh:

bus_aviator
17th Jul 2012, 06:48
Possible pilot shortage raises safety concerns - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501843_162-57471610/possible-pilot-shortage-raises-safety-concerns/)

here's a little something that'll put some sunshine up our yingyang...funny how we undervalue ourselves as experienced professionals and continue to take it up the old poopshoot...late roster's noooo problem....cancellled leave noooo problem....pay cut noooo problem...........delayed upgrades and fleet tx's noooooo problem....hell pretty soon we'll be giving someone a B*&%job just to let us sit in the cockpit cause we're just soooo unimportant.
ps roster delayed again this month why don't they just change the manual to say we'll publish when we feel like it, you unimportant dhit's so stop bothering us solitaire's on hold

ironbutt57
17th Jul 2012, 07:02
The "big-3" here in the Gulf are all hiring so many, they have no where to train them, hence they can't hire anymore, so they are short so they hire more, have nowhere to train them.....so they are short.....:ugh:

John21UK
17th Jul 2012, 14:07
First 170 leaving the fleet and country on 22nd july already. 'MB' stops flying on the same day but stays in BAH for a couple more days. Seems they found a buyer?

ironbutt57
17th Jul 2012, 19:27
Welcome to the 'bus:ok:

Viru$
21st Jul 2012, 04:01
Both of the E70's will leave tomorrow to Exeter, don't know if they will go to a new home or not. In contrast, 2 new A320's will be delivered on the 26th.

@John21UK: Are you still on EMB or they are transferring you to Airbus?

John21UK
21st Jul 2012, 04:36
@ Viru$. Half the guys are transferring across shortly and the other half fly the E190's. Those are supposed to be gone before years end and then they'll switch over. Personally I might be switching very soon. But first a stop at Exeter...!

To be honest, the last week or so has been a rollercoaster ride. Suddenly aircraft are leaving and you might even hold on to your job. 8 months of 'not knowing anything' is pretty stressfull.

Yo767
21st Jul 2012, 04:46
To be honest, the last week or so has been a rollercoaster ride. Suddenly aircraft are leaving and you might even hold on to your job. 8 months of 'not knowing anything' is pretty stressfull.

John, I have been ''not knowing anything'' for 10 years now. Still collecting my tax free monthly 15 G's to be home everyday and fly 50hrs a month. My only stress is that my wine reserve will run out before the end of Ramadan. Thanks to my english and puerto rican neighbours.

Viru$
21st Jul 2012, 05:07
Cheers John and hope you enjoy Exeter. On other note, I noticed AIMS is down :D

dzmeigolem
21st Jul 2012, 10:44
John21, I think you should be happy, cause with 320 rating "the world is yours". Congratulations, mate!

Any idea what's happening with the command process? I heard nothing for July and August...

John21UK
21st Jul 2012, 11:20
Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon with that. I've taken a big gamble professionally, socially and financially to get to this point. Excited is a understatement. :ok:

Once one has got sufficient Airbus hours and experience, indeed the 'world is yours'. However, if you gamble on potentially getting the rating through a fleet transfer and it goes south at the last minute, it's a big fall. Especially if there is no safety net in terms of job/company to go back to, usefull rating(s)/previous experience and lack of TT etc.

Any news on the new 320's arriving? (or 321's?) What about Iraq, are we indeed going back there next month?

John21UK
21st Jul 2012, 18:31
Interesting. Wait and see what happens: Saudis Shortlist Gulf Air, Qatar Air for License, Eqtisadia Says - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-21/saudis-shortlist-gulf-air-qatar-air-for-license-eqtisadia-says.html)

Furthermore, didn't see this mentioned IIRC. Some minor changes to the Winter 2012 program. Gulf Air W12 Operation Changes as of 17JUL12 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/07/17/gf-w12update2/)

smg19
21st Jul 2012, 21:01
Is Gulf Air Hiring First Officers?

ironbutt57
22nd Jul 2012, 06:21
Not at the present time....

LNAV VNAV -
22nd Jul 2012, 08:07
I did a KRT a few days ago and we tankered TO KRT instead of FROM KRT. To me this means that there must have been a drastic decrease of fuel cost at BAH relative to KRT. Anyone knows anything about this?

ironbutt57
22nd Jul 2012, 09:57
Could be the old "fuel allotment" is KRT is dwindling, previously we always tankered TO KRT due to fuel rationing to foreign airlines...could be the case again...

Nekro
22nd Jul 2012, 19:55
Hey,

In regards to employoment to Bahraini first officers, how is that going on? I heard indeed a lot of stuff, mainly a lot of unemployed Bahraini FO's. (over 100) most of them are from the GAA program.

Well I plan to do my training alone, I don't expect to get a job when I graduate so I'm thinking of getting a job as a Bush pilot anywhere in the world. where I get paid and build hours.

Does this sound like a good plan? are Gulf air going to improve in say the next 3/4 years? I heard a lot of captains are leaving to other airlines, mostly the expats.

And as for first officers, don't they have a policy where they hire Bahraini's only?

Mr. R
22nd Jul 2012, 22:49
Hey,

In regards to employoment to Bahraini first officers, how is that going on? I heard indeed a lot of stuff, mainly a lot of unemployed Bahraini FO's. (over 100) most of them are from the GAA program.

Well I plan to do my training alone, I don't expect to get a job when I graduate so I'm thinking of getting a job as a Bush pilot anywhere in the world. where I get paid and build hours.

Does this sound like a good plan? are Gulf air going to improve in say the next 3/4 years? I heard a lot of captains are leaving to other airlines, mostly the expats.

And as for first officers, don't they have a policy where they hire Bahraini's only?

you could start your training and then head far east for an ab-inito pilot job but whatever you do DO NOT GO THROUGH GAA they've saturated the employment market by supplying more than demand

right now things are really tough with all those unemployed pilots but if you keep your hopes on getting a job with GF or QR only then I think you should reconsider doing your training unless you have no problem of taking up opportunities elsewhere around the world.

Or you could do SO with CX that's an easy way to become a jet pilot

ironbutt57
23rd Jul 2012, 04:33
Or you could do SO with CX that's an easy way to become a jet pilot

Not quite the case.....

All second officers are from Bahrain, and the GAA program...hired on an as needed basis, and when training resources permit...

Mr. R
23rd Jul 2012, 17:48
my bad forgot about the fragrant harbor forums:oh:

thegypsy
25th Jul 2012, 14:21
40&80

Did you write all that after rather a lot of sauce?:D

PS What is a terminate officer pray?

Whose,salaries,redundancy,training,paid,

PPS As I know who you are I know you can do better!!

LNAV VNAV -
26th Jul 2012, 09:47
Isn't this a 'Gulf Air developments' forum?? What does CX or the RAF have to do with it??

slowjet
26th Jul 2012, 10:10
Lnav/Vnav lost the thread already ! Read the foregoing. Mr R was responding (says he is in Bahrain) offers some advice & points away from GF (hence GF developments, or lack) & makes a helpful suggestion to look at CX. 40&80 after a good night's takings & plenty to celebrate, makes a very useful offering, pointing away from CX. Then, look out, look out, gypsy is about with his snipers gear on, Pprune Police outfit on, but, I have to say, pretty damn amusing in his way. OK, order in the house. Members will have their say ! I have appointed myself to the roll of Mr Speaker. While there are NO developments in Gf , ease up & have a laff !

jackx123
26th Jul 2012, 10:19
slow: how doya kno that 4080 had a good 1 out :ok:

slowjet
26th Jul 2012, 19:17
Jack, just guessing. When I have had a really good one, I write like that too ! I talk even worse. Terminator RAF....sounds like a movie idea ! Have a beautiful Ramadan dear people.

Mephistopheles
2nd Aug 2012, 13:53
A thought for you all, there is no way any airline could go thru the mess, mismanagement & theft that Gulf Air has been subjected to without the crews constantly playing more than their part. I trult believe that no other airline would still be standing with the monumental f*** ups & stealing that has gone on. She's a tough old bird that will not be brought down.

Landflap
2nd Aug 2012, 14:55
Yes, but it has always been like that, in any airline. Professional Airline Pilots are a hardy bunch, dedicated to doing the right thing, the best thing, in fact, ANY thing to demonstrate company loyalty but more often than not, simply to protect employment. I have said, and others have intimated as much, stop being loyal to what is painted on the side of an aeroplane & be loyal, instead, to your regulatory authority. Few choices for GCC nationals so you become the whipping boy for the kind of inept management for which GF is famous. The sadness is that there will be no cure for the ailing "bird". The corruption is endemic & the ineptness a fact of life.

jackx123
2nd Aug 2012, 15:42
i remember in the late 90's when a certain person hired a bunch of gals (40 0r 50) to serve as cabin crew and gave them toyota cars. needless to say they never saw the inside of an aircraft.

so stop bitching. you all knew what you signed up for, as did i. :ok:

Gordomac
3rd Aug 2012, 09:02
Jack; blimey ! Never saw that one or I might have tried for a Toyota myself ! Wrong gender I guess! Had to buy my own jeep with a massive HSBC loan ! Well, knew what I signed up for in 1993. Had a brilliant time with joyful crews and enjoyed the Island with it's beautiful people for 17 years. Would have stayed longer were it not that I was shafted. Made the mistake of shouting off at the wrong people when I thought I might be listened to because I cared. transpiring events make me grateful for being plucked out of a bad situation. The demise of a company greatly admired by many & enjoyed by those fortunate enough to have been there during the best, makes dismal reading. I wish nothing but good things for the special people who made me so welcome. I wish dreadful things for those who booted me out, unwittingly, doing me a great favour, as it turns out. Peaceful & joyous Ramadan to all.

ironbutt57
3rd Aug 2012, 09:08
Good reading Gordo!!

ironbutt57
4th Aug 2012, 12:17
Post makes no sense.....and not true either

Mr. R
4th Aug 2012, 16:49
ib57 I have a cadet who can confirm that what the new guy said is almost true

ironbutt57
6th Aug 2012, 02:22
They abandoned the oxford cadets

Who is "they"?

slowjet
6th Aug 2012, 08:05
Think he means GAA & AAC partnership. Air Arabia appears complicit but do not see GF in this, anywhere.

ironbutt57
6th Aug 2012, 12:42
Not knowing

John21UK
8th Aug 2012, 10:22
Back to topic. Slight increase of the MNL freq starting 10AUG already.
Gulf Air Increases Manila Service from mid-August 2012 | Airline Route – Worldwide Airline Route Updates (http://airlineroute.net/2012/08/08/gf-mnl-aug12/)

Apache702
12th Aug 2012, 03:22
Bahrain Air considering possible merger with Gulf Air - MD - PCC Daily Aviation News for Pilots - PILOT CAREER CENTRE (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Aviation-Pilot-Recruitment-News-Item/5403/+Bahrain+Air+considering+possible+merger+with+Gulf+Air+-+MD)

two losers merging together :}

40&80
12th Aug 2012, 22:02
Gulf Air impacted on the pension fund losses....Fantastic!...My Black Lady told me that would happen. Never ignore a Lab. report.:ok:

ODMEA
13th Aug 2012, 02:58
Hi guys

Cant get a simple answer from GF on this..how many ac now have this new seat? The advertising and official announcemnet make it sound as though the entire fleet "A330, A321, A320" have the new seat.

Can you shed some light pls.
ta

Radar Contact
13th Aug 2012, 08:19
Hi guys

Cant get a simple answer from GF on this..how many ac now have this new seat? The advertising and official announcemnet make it sound as though the entire fleet "A330, A321, A320" have the new seat.

Can you shed some light pls.
ta

Currently there are 5 A320's dubbed as 32E that have these new seats (AM,N,O,P,Q) and 3 A321 (CA,B,C) with 3 more on order (D,E,F)

Nekro
13th Aug 2012, 08:25
Hey this is kinda unrelated but does anyone know how to join the Bahraini airforce? do they take people right now? what are the procedures?

ODMEA
15th Aug 2012, 00:56
Thanks for the info!

mamamia
15th Aug 2012, 18:48
they can bring a schedule, always we have lads they get the best of the best in this fair company as every body is equal and have rights under the managment
:O

GAME OVER
15th Aug 2012, 20:05
Gulf Air to restart Iran, Iraq flights (http://www.tradearabia.com/news/TTN_221940.html)

Back to busniss :D

GAME OVER
15th Aug 2012, 20:12
- Flight schedule for Iraq

Najaf – from 20 September with four weekly flights increasing to daily from 01 December

Baghdad- from 21 September with five weekly flights

Erbil - from 23 September with four weekly flights increasing to daily from 28 October

Basra - from 29 October with three weekly flights increasing to four from 01 December

- Flight schedule for Iran

Mashhad - from 22 September with four weekly flights increasing to daily from 02 December

Shiraz- from 23 September with five weekly flights increasing to daily from 01 December

Tehran- from 25 September with six weekly flights increasing to daily from 01 December

Isfahan - from 30 October with three weekly flights

Sal-e
16th Aug 2012, 01:06
I hope the resumption of Iraq/Iran flights means the reopening of Kuala Lumpur and possibly Jakarta.

LNAV VNAV -
16th Aug 2012, 03:17
''All these flights will be operated by a combination of Embraer and Airbus fleet, the airline said its statement.-TradeArabia News Service''

I thought the Embraers were leaving. :confused:

In any case this is good news. Does this also mean that the pilot selection process will resume?

Grock
16th Aug 2012, 04:51
You can expect the usual NTC. 'Due to circumstances beyond our control and inorder to maintain our summer / winter schedule, it will be necessary to cancel upcoming leave.' :{

John21UK
16th Aug 2012, 09:45
Good news! Here more details: Gulf Air to Resume Iran / Iraq Service from late-Sep 2012 | Airline Route – Worldwide Airline Route Updates (http://airlineroute.net/2012/08/16/gf-sep12/)

Looks like the E170's are coming back. ;-)

buba
16th Aug 2012, 11:31
Any chance BKK back to double daily ;))

John21UK
17th Aug 2012, 15:28
And things have already changed considering Iraq and Iran. Here's the latest revision: Gulf Air to Resume Iran / Iraq Service from late-Sep 2012 | Airline Route – Worldwide Airline Route Updates (http://airlineroute.net/2012/08/16/gf-sep12/)

Main chages are no more Embraer's loaded and lots of A321's now operating selected flights.

Atebis
17th Aug 2012, 21:53
Here it comes... "Dear Crew, due to commercial changes, the roster will be published on August 31st."

Mephistopheles
18th Aug 2012, 09:23
Winter Scheldule(with increased flights) + Reopening of Iran & Iraq + 3 months notice period approaching for those who have resigned + even more resignations = A very interesting next few months for our elite management to deal with.
No doubt those of you that think you have leave coming up will get a shock when you get the September roster,late of course, & see that your leave has been donated to our management to cater for their lack of planning & shortsightedness. Which in turn will lead to more resignations & the cycle is complete!
Way to go GF.

ironbutt57
18th Aug 2012, 11:17
Well...it could be late rosters, or many subsequent changes, or a combination, Yah it sucks for us, but it also sucks for them as well..sure they don't enjoy having to change the rosters all the time, as much as we don't like receiving them...hope the markets redevelop their former strength.....

buba
19th Aug 2012, 04:10
Got chatting to an engineer.. Says the 340s are getting prepped.. Should hav 3 flying by oct.

SubsonicMortal
19th Aug 2012, 04:53
I saw a GF 340 in Dubai parked on the Charlie apron a few nights ago. I was quite surprised as I thought all the GF 340's were painted white months ago to be sent off elsewhere. This one looked like it came straight out of the glory days.

John21UK
19th Aug 2012, 05:08
One A340 used by Gulf Air for high density/high cargo routes and the two remaining A340's are prepped for the lease. They are using them now to get trainers and pilots current again for the upcoming lease. They need to use the training capacity, that is already limited, before things get busy a bit later on. (for reasons I can't reveal here as it's not final)

But this is just my guess offcourse...

What's the diff in seating and cargo carrying capacity between a 330 (the 215 seats layout) and the 340's?

John21UK
23rd Aug 2012, 09:41
What's up with DXB these days. I see up to 11 flights a day mostly A321 and bigger, even now A340's. Also strange flightnumbers and the new 2pm flight is not even amongst these yet.

Between 4 and 5pm alone it's 694 seats!

John21UK
23rd Aug 2012, 09:47
Ahhh, ding dong. Tomorrow 13 flts a day. Not bad!

WELCO
24th Aug 2012, 03:12
I can't remember seeing such numbers before! Strange but true, isn't it?!:suspect:

ironbutt57
24th Aug 2012, 05:01
Here it comes... "Dear Crew, due to commercial changes, the roster will be published on August 31st."

Atebis....rosters were out late last night.....

John21UK
24th Aug 2012, 05:46
Well done by the Gulf Air cabin crew: Boy who likes planes bypasses airport security, boards aircraft, with no ticket | Egypt Independent (http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/boy-who-likes-planes-bypasses-airport-security-boards-aircraft-no-ticket)

Poor show from everyone else involved!

John21UK
25th Aug 2012, 17:56
Can the A321 do FRA/CDG or CPH with a full load, and no restrictions, from BAH?

Albergineman
25th Aug 2012, 20:17
Yes, it can.

mamamia
28th Aug 2012, 16:22
Are we short with pilots on the website Gf is looking for pic

Che Guevara
28th Aug 2012, 19:28
Always have been, always will be.

buba
28th Aug 2012, 19:32
Looks like they even going to be short on cabin crew.. Been told 42 handed in their resignation, yet 20 had their contracts terminated.

LNAV VNAV -
29th Aug 2012, 09:22
Where on the website does it say anything about pilots? All I can see under vacancies is Performance & Methodology Specialist (http://careers.sniperhire.net/Gulfairframe/VacancyDetail.aspx?VacancyID=48662) :confused:

fly66
29th Aug 2012, 11:44
same for me...pls post link

Dejavu
29th Aug 2012, 14:07
Can someone tell SM that increase this year compare last year was due to riots & tension in Bahrain first half of 2011 which affected biz. It's no brainer that this year "should" show positive performance:ugh::ugh:

mamamia
29th Aug 2012, 22:11
Saw sanjay going on A330 in etihad :cool: good luck ET

mamamia
29th Aug 2012, 22:13
and GFA TRE going too and so on :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

surfer of desert
30th Aug 2012, 15:09
Sanjay is going to enjoy the "I N D I A N - M A F I A":D

John21UK
31st Aug 2012, 18:18
One more Saudi destination next year? Slight mistake in the article mentioning Gulf Air to fly to Dubai but nevertheless...

Gulf airlines eye flights to upgraded Saudi airport - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/gulf-airlines-eye-flights-upgraded-saudi-airport-471504.html)

SCATANA
1st Sep 2012, 02:55
Heard DFO resigning or retiring.

ironbutt57
1st Sep 2012, 03:57
Saw sanjay going on A330 in etihad good luck ET

Guess hard work pays off....wish him the best!!!:ok:

Che Guevara
1st Sep 2012, 08:59
Have to agree with you there IB.

Sanjay worked tirelessly to carry out his duties and obligations as fairly as possible, and to the best of his abilities. Yes, he deserves what he achieved, and is undeserving of any offhand and derogatory remarks.
Good luck with your future Sanjay.

ASCB
1st Sep 2012, 11:35
Has anyone else heard the rumour that Etihad are to take a stake (60%) in GF?

Speedbrake Lever
1st Sep 2012, 16:36
Yes of course they will

it goes back to Sheikh ISA AND Zayed ( both now dead)

some things last a long time out here

Mind you i think its a CEO change if/when it might occur

S.L.

dzmeigolem
1st Sep 2012, 19:32
Yes, I did. Not sure about the percentage though.

mamamia
2nd Sep 2012, 14:29
:ok::ok::ok:i heard there is extra pay in gulf air