PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

WELCO
21st Jun 2011, 15:34
“The competitive fleet hourly offering from IAE and fuel burn advantage were key characteristics that assured us that the V2500 was the right engine for us,” explained Samer Majali, Chief Executive Officer of Gulf Air. “Superb technology and world-class reliability were also important factors in our decision.”
He added that the qualities brought by SelectTwo will enable his airline to more easily focus on developing a profitable regional route structure and optimize its network.

IAE is a multinational aero engine consortium whose shareholders comprise of Pratt & Whitney (NYSE: UTX), Rolls-Royce (RR.L.), Japanese Aero Engines Corporation and MTU Aero Engines. There are more than 5,500 V2500s in service or on firm order with nearly 200 customers around the world.

Doesn't sound too bad, unless anyone knows something that we don't!

John21UK
21st Jun 2011, 17:20
Is it true that all expat pilot contracts are for a max of 2 years only? I pressume that if that's true the renewal is just a 'formality'?

Landflap
21st Jun 2011, 22:02
JOhn21UK, presume nothing. Very dangerous in any airline but particularly so in Gulfair. The Management Team make it up as they go along. They abolished expat contracts yeas ago and everyone was on an "open-ended" deal. Lets face it, three months notice either side is what you get in most places so a "contract" is not worth much, is it ? Then, they got in a complete muddle in connection with the "Age Over 60" fiasco. These guys were given One year contracts. They converted some to A340, bonded them on two year deals but still on one year contracts ! Later, these were reduced to six month contracts ! Nothing "just a formality" in this outfit old bean.

SandShovel
22nd Jun 2011, 11:51
So guys, HERE WE GOOOOOOOOO::D:D:D

GULF1666 - Direct Entry Rated Captains for Airbus A320 - Gulf Air (http://careers.sniperhire.net/Gulfairframe/VacancyDetail.aspx?VacancyID=29463)

A320 DECs are almost here........

DesertHawk
22nd Jun 2011, 15:33
Not really a surprise as the rumors have been around for a few months. We are short on qualified guys but lets be honest, the crew planning here would rather plug holes then actually fix the REAL problems. We should get all qualified guys on a command course ASAP and then CONSIDER going outside the company. Also who is gonna come? Another example of how GF is not improving, we are just scraping by and filling seats. sad considering small changes would make GF a very good place to work instead of a stepping stone for most people. This is an example of how crew planners can save money today and lose millions in the long run, the story of GF.:ok:

John21UK
22nd Jun 2011, 15:44
Spend a pound, save a penny. Sounds very familiar...

alexism
22nd Jun 2011, 16:16
Can someone give us details about the salary and the benefit package, for a A320 type rated F/O?

John21UK
22nd Jun 2011, 18:39
Could this be for GF perhaps:
Corporate > Media Centre > Press Releases (http://www.bombardier.com/en/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/details?docID=0901260d80183825)

10 Frames and 6 options sounds like a reasonable first step.

@ alexism. Pls go back through this thread and you will find your answer. IIRC somewhere around page 150-160.

Tziganul
23rd Jun 2011, 11:01
WHERE IS MY SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I've been here only ONCE, ONCE!!! has the sched been on time!!!!! We will probably get an AIMS message on the 30th informing us that the new sched will be delayed due to "COMMERCIAL" :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Heleheleyani
23rd Jun 2011, 11:44
Apparently this month it's delayed

"due to a glitch in the system" :ugh:

yeah a glitch is called bad management !!!

John21UK
23rd Jun 2011, 21:34
Can anyone recommend a good bank in BAH? (reg inernet banking from home if available, costs, customer service and money transfer to EU)

Albergineman
24th Jun 2011, 04:12
HSBC

:ok:

ironbutt57
24th Jun 2011, 05:17
HSBC:ok::ok::ok:

AeroForce
24th Jun 2011, 06:27
HSBC?
IF you're looking to transfer money in other currency than dollars, have a look at some of the local banks. Ithmaarbank and Kuwait Finance House often offer FAR better exchange rates... and they pay in your salary quicker than HSBC. :ok:

rumrunner69
24th Jun 2011, 07:24
HSBC by far from my previous experience with BBK and Standard Charter

SandShovel
24th Jun 2011, 07:54
+1 HSBC, also CityBank is ok

Panama Jack
25th Jun 2011, 20:13
Best exchange rates for Euros, Sterling and Dollars is through BMI right in the Gulf Air HDQ. Yes, the service is perhaps not quite as good as HSBC, however it is extremely convenient and GF employees qualify for a no annual fee Visa card. There is an ATM just a few foot steps from Ops which dispenses various currencies.

Get a Diners Club card through BMI and it opens the doors to hundreds of Airport Lounges around the world (including all the Middle Eastern ones) for free. At 40BD per year, it offers a great value to fritter away the time in a more civilized manner as you sit around with your ID90 or Leave Ticket. While the other plebs are paying extortional prices for refreshments and nibbles and bits or trying to cozy up on the institutional-like seating in airports like Bahrain, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, London, Frankfurt, Bangkok, etc., you can be enjoying a glass of wine, a light snack, surfing the free internet or even taking a shower before your connecting flight.

I used to be an HSBC customer for over 5 years in Bahrain but finally got fed up with their fees. Yes, it is a global bank but it is only as good as the employees at the local branch.

Had an auto-loan when I joined with Standard Charter. All I can suggest is stay far, far away from these BANDITS!!!

I defected to Khaleeji Commercial Bank with which I am EXTREMELY pleased. They only have a few branches but they make me feel like a VIP whenever I go visit their branch at the Financial Harbour. I can use any ATM machine in Bahrain at no fee. For squirling away money, I get about 4%-4.5% annual interest on one of their Mudarabah Accounts, as long as I maintain a minimum balance of at least 10,000 BHD throughout the period.

AeroForce
26th Jun 2011, 12:42
Definitely don't go to BMI or HSBC (or any other of the big banks: Standard Chartered or CitiBank for that matter) regarding exchange rates. 99.99% of the time it's the local banks that offer the best exchange rates on international transfers.

My advice check on the day of transfer with a couple of banks and compare their rates and you'll find some of the local banks work out cheapest! :ok:

John21UK
26th Jun 2011, 13:38
Much appreciated! Any news regarding the expat contracts? I've been hearing not everyone is on the 'acc to GF HR all expats are on 2 years' contracts!

Please advice...:bored:

Panama Jack
28th Jun 2011, 11:53
Read on Flight Global that United Airways (of Bangladesh) recently got ruled by a court of law to change its brand name and repaint its aircraft after a case was brought against it by the US major airline United Airlines.

Court orders Bangladesh's United Airways to repaint fleet (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/06/28/358886/court-orders-bangladeshs-united-airways-to-repaint.html)

It reminded me of this story which some of us will remember from during the Näf-era.

PICTURES: Gulf Air investigates as Paraguayan carrier shows off near-identical livery (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/06/29/328960/pictures-gulf-air-investigates-as-paraguayan-carrier-shows-off-near-identical-livery.html)

It is flattering to know that others think that we have an attractive corporate design. And what has become of this clear-cut and blatent plagarism of an aircraft livery and theft of corporate branding? Well, here you go:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/8/6/1639686.jpg

This photo was supposedly taken in Florianopolis on January 13, 2010.

http://www.airfln.com.br/admin/upload/ZP-CAJ_31JAN10_LOGO.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2490/3979170184_224791d5a4.jpg

Are these people still in business or have they been taught a lesson?

:eek:

Albergineman
28th Jun 2011, 14:55
It could not be at any other place but Paraguay...

:ugh:

SCATANA
29th Jun 2011, 08:00
8 suicide bombers, 10 others killed in attack at Kabul Inter-Continental hotel

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Eight suicide bombers attacked Kabul's Hotel Inter-Continental in a brazen, carefully orchestrated operation that began Tuesday night and continued into Wednesday, ending with their deaths and those of 10 others, officials said.

8 suicide bombers, 10 others killed in attack at Kabul hotel - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/06/29/afghanistan.kabul.attack/index.html)

surfer of desert
30th Jun 2011, 09:53
Staff travel is for sure THE WORST department in Gulf Air, the staff are lazy make some stupid mistakes and they are NOT helpfull at all. The PC around are old and so hard to find the right "icon", the new manager are so busy with his "new friends" and pretty lost too......and we need to wait and wait ....what to do Iaaneeee.... :ugh:

cool_pilot
30th Jun 2011, 13:46
Hello fellas,

Is Gulf Air recruiting on the A330 fleet? I haven't flown the A320 for a while but my LPC is current. Any chance with them?

Kind rgds,

Cool_pilot :ok:

Johnster
30th Jun 2011, 17:46
HSBC Bahrain is the most appalling bank I have ever come across. There ave been 2 frauds on my account and the second one, the bank said it was me. I would avoid HSBC like the plague, absolutely dreadful people

jackx123
30th Jun 2011, 18:37
same here HSBC is totally :mad: I had charges on my credit card in bahrain whilst down route and they said I had used my card in Bahrain. drrrrr

Needless to say I had to pay for the shortfall.

Mephistopheles
4th Jul 2011, 12:03
So thanks to the COO N.S. decision last year to reduce to reporting times for crews in Bah-so that he can claim another bonus due to cost cutting, the managers(?) upstairs have finally realized that we don not have sufficient time in Bah to complete all the relevant preflight tasks. So now they are running a survey on "Utilising every minute" in order to point the finger at crews, once again, for our crap ontime performance.
When will any of our management(?) every grows a spine & stand up for the crews & more importantly safety.
Expect even more radical cost cutting & safety reducing measures from the desk jockeys upstairs.
As far as those of you looking to join GF-please use GF only as a stepping stone to a better career do not fool yourself into thinking it is a long term career option since thats what many of us have done & have become victims of circumstances. If you have any P1 time of A320s hold back on your application since very soon, contrary to DFO H.F., direct entry captains will be accepted soon.

SandShovel
4th Jul 2011, 13:16
Mephistopheles,:ugh:

Have you seen my earlier post:rolleyes: ( GULF1666 - Direct Entry Rated Captains for Airbus A320 - Gulf Air (http://careers.sniperhire.net/Gulfairframe/VacancyDetail.aspx?VacancyID=29463) ) it is already happening, they will be here this month for the company course.

John21UK
6th Jul 2011, 09:27
Some more info here; Gulf Air to miss 2012 breakeven target, CEO says - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/gulf-air-miss-2012-breakeven-target-ceo-says-408662.html)

Breakeven not until early/mid 2013. More redundancies coming. (low numbers) If I read this right, does it mean there are 2 more E170's coming, totalling 4 E170's and 2 E190's?

SandShovel
6th Jul 2011, 14:02
I am wondering how BahrainAir is still in the business:rolleyes::ugh::)

John21UK
6th Jul 2011, 14:36
Don't know anything about the relationship between GF and Bahrain Air, but why doesn't GF buy them? Doesn't seem to be too much room for the two side by side these days, although Bahrain Air is small.

Panama Jack
7th Jul 2011, 12:17
I think Gulf Air has enough challenges on its hands without needing to complicate matters further and aquire another questionable, loss-making airline. Add to the challenges Gulf Air already faces an added one of integrating a distinct corporate culture and the usual seniority-list merging fiasco which plagues any other airline merger.

So where is the value?

millerscourt
7th Jul 2011, 14:01
Better to let Air Bahrain fade away gently in due course. Just a question as to whether they do so before GF who have been on a downhill slope ever since I left in '95

boiler
7th Jul 2011, 17:42
From Flightglobal
Gulf Air appears to cancel eight 787s (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/07/07/359259/gulf-air-appears-to-cancel-eight-787s.html)

Gulf Air appears to cancel eight 787s
By David Kaminski-Morrow

Gulf Air appears to be the customer which cancelled an order for eight Boeing 787 aircraft last month.

The airline ordered 16 of the twinjets in January 2008 and supplemented them with a further eight in April 2009.

But Boeing's latest backlog figures show that the 2008 order has been halved to eight of the type, slashing the Bahraini flag-carrier's 787 total from 24 to 16.

Boeing disclosed in June that eight 787s had been removed from its order books, taking total 787 cancellations this year to 20.

Gulf Air could not immediately be reached to confirm the cancellation or to comment.

But the Middle Eastern carrier has been restructuring its fleet in favour of smaller-capacity aircraft, and during the Paris air show selected International Aero Engines powerplants for a batch of six Airbus A320-family twinjets, to be delivered next year

AeroForce
8th Jul 2011, 08:22
Not all 24 787 orders were firm orders. It seems they've cancelled the options that they had.

A300Man
8th Jul 2011, 09:58
What is the J class product like on the 330 aircraft that serves Manila? I am told that the aircraft is former MEA and does not have the former first class lie flat seating, now called Falcon Gold. The cabin appears to be configured 2 2 2. Are the seats shell seats, or old fashioned armchair recliners?

Thanks in advance.

tankdrvr
8th Jul 2011, 16:52
it is a joke, they took all the broken econo seats and made 'J' class since it is never used...Lie flat seats= the floor :rolleyes: ..Ok, for real: the seats are old and recline but not flat. It is config 2-2-2. They are not the Falcon Gold. You end up with econo traffic constantly coming up to use your bathroom.

jordana320
11th Jul 2011, 08:06
Hey guys.. can anyone shed any light on the New A320 FO course at Gulf Air.. when are they most likely to recruit again... did any of the A320 guys who interviewed in London got invited...?

Regards

AeroForce
14th Jul 2011, 11:23
firm order in April 2009???

Remember that in March '09 all alarm bells went off!
Because Gulf Air posted a $500m. loss. All spending and recruitment were immediately stopped on 23rd of March '09.

Bit weird to see a transition from options to an 'appearantly' firm order after this date! :ouch: Explain please :confused:

Che Guevara
15th Jul 2011, 16:35
Interesting what occupies some people's minds over here....787 cancellation, is this a surprise? What about the 20 330s that have gone South?
No gents, I'd be more concerned with Kabul and Kandahar if I were you.

Good luck.

ribena
20th Jul 2011, 11:26
Hi all,

I have been offered a place at GF as a direct entry FO on the 320 but before I sign anything I was hoping if somebody could answer some questions:

1) I was told at my interview that by the end of this year the 320 crew will also be flying the 330 as well. Is this true/is the timescale realistic?

2) I gather there is only 8 days off a month but how many days do the 320 crews typically fly per month?

3)How secure are the 330's within the company?

Thanks

R

Albergineman
20th Jul 2011, 13:09
1) I was told at my interview that by the end of this year the 320 crew will also be flying the 330 as well. Is this true/is the timescale realistic?No, it isn't realistic. As a new joiner the candidate can expect a minimum of 18 month from now to be dual rated.

2) I gather there is only 8 days off a month but how many days do the 320 crews typically fly per month?30-8=22. Pilots usually fly for 22 days in average. But a roster period is consisted of 28 consecutive days so in some instances in a calendar month you can expect to have either 7 days off or 10 days off.
Your roster will vary according to some "principles" described below:
-If you know somebody from planning;
-If you know somebody from crew control (for last minute change-after the roster has been published);
-You will be flying at night most of time (3 consecutive night flights because it is legal) and most of them to monsoon's destinations;
-Basically, three quarters of the year, with the monsoon in between, you will be going to the east (aka MAA, COK, BOM, DEL, CMB, KTM, DAC) to say the least;
- Your requested block will be after a SBY duty;
- the tactical sickness survey doesn't reach some individuals;
- and last, but not the least, everything above is legal

3)How secure are the 330's within the company?The whole fleet (ERJ/A320/A330) shares the same satisfactory level of reliability.

:eek:

AeroForce
20th Jul 2011, 13:20
1) I was told at my interview that by the end of this year the 320 crew will also be flying the 330 as well. Is this true/is the timescale realistic?

2) I gather there is only 8 days off a month but how many days do the 320 crews typically fly per month?

3)How secure are the 330's within the company?

1) 320 crews are already being CCQ'd onto 330 in order of seniority to fly both. Expect at least one year from date of joining until you see the 330.
2) 8 days off any 28 days, whis works out at 8 or 9 days off a month. The rest you are working, standby or on a useless standby (just because the company will not give you that as a day off to make sure you don't get too many... :ugh:)
3) current planning includes a fleet of 8 to 10 330's for the future.

John21UK
20th Jul 2011, 13:34
What about a loss of license insurance, is that provided by GF? Or anyone any info on it, where otherwise to go?

Is there a possibility to bid for another fleet? (ie Embraer onto Airbus?)
And what flight time limitations are being used at GF?

Does the Embraer fly across the network (within range obviously) on a supply-and demand schedule?

I remember reading somewhere a while ago that a new airport is planned for BAH, any truth to that? (ie re-developing and upgrading the excisting one)

20th Jul 2011, 14:05
Look its snowing outside ;)

Sleek
20th Jul 2011, 15:06
Does any one know about the interview?
what do they conduct in the interview and where is it held?
If any one can provide information.

Thank in advance.

slowjet
20th Jul 2011, 19:28
Albergineman, which is the "hole fleet"?

Che Guevara
20th Jul 2011, 20:25
The one that shares the same reliability, obviously Slowjet...:rolleyes:

And it's snowing....must be the heat I guess.

Tziganul
21st Jul 2011, 08:52
Well, our GREAT rostering department, once again, loyal to their incomparable quest for perfection have delayed the publishing of our beloved monthly roster. This time, it will only take them 1 more day to "perfect" the roster. Mostly due to commercial, a glitch in the system, or some friendly requests! At least this month the roster comes out before the paycheck!!! :D

Sleek
21st Jul 2011, 23:01
Hi Ribena,

Can you share the interview details please?
What were you asked and how long was it how many different tasks did you have to do in the interview?
Thanks in advance

ribena
24th Jul 2011, 09:15
Hi,

Thank you for those who replied.

Regarding my interview:

It was held over one day, the first half consisted of
four psychometric written tests

Verbal reasoning
Numerical estimation- quite simple maths
Spatial checking -
Computer checking (which was essentially a list of characters eg $%^&* and you had to find the exact copy in the answers.

After the tests there was a interview, it was split between HR questions eg please give us an example when.... and technical questions about the aircraft type that you fly. I can't remember the exact questions I had but it was general questions about the hydraulics, memory items, aircraft limitations - nothing too outrageous.

R

pilotcpb
25th Jul 2011, 21:55
were most applicants offered jobs or only a few??

John21UK
27th Jul 2011, 20:59
Olbie, about the A318's. That's news to me. Why are they not coming?

More E190's would make sense if they could get them quick before the CSeries start arriving in 2016. (speculation)

whinelist
1st Aug 2011, 16:49
With the direct entry ca's, will this displace current ca's? Do they have a seniority list? Are most expat's that are furloughed from other carriers all bailing, or is the money/left seat too good to pass on?

Che Guevara
1st Aug 2011, 19:03
There is a seniority list, and whoever joins goes to the bottom of the list.
The money is good, however if the USD takes a dive, it will not be that good for the Euro or Stirling dependent pilots....the local currency is tied to the dollar exchange rate.
Not many 'furloughed' pilots remaining.

Panama Jack
2nd Aug 2011, 04:31
Wonder whether it will be the CS 100's or the CS 100ER's.

The no-wind ranges are pretty impressive:

2200nm and 2950nm range circles from BAH (http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=&RANGE=2200nm@BAH%0D%0A2950nm@BAH%0D%0A&PATH-COLOR=red&PATH-UNITS=mi&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=)

CS 100 Factsheet (http://farnborough.aero.bombardier.com/pdf/CS_100_Factsheet.pdf)

40&80
2nd Aug 2011, 20:49
Time to move Eastwards Jack.....you are worth more.

Che Guevara
4th Aug 2011, 18:55
I hear the 'Masalama' list is growing by the day....anyone know the numbers?

slowjet
6th Aug 2011, 08:43
Good. Those on the list, clearly have a brain. Just saw the Al jazeera news offerings. What a dreadful place to be stuck in. Heartfelt thoughts to those who are stuck. If you are not stuck , what on earth are you thinking ? Jump & slight....Go......Go.....Go... !

Not too small
12th Aug 2011, 10:06
And where do you come from Slow J ? UK or Norway or where else that Al Jazira will say good about.
Bahrain will stay the best place to live in the gulf.

Mephistopheles
12th Aug 2011, 16:48
slowjet, I wouldn't put too much faith in the accuracy of Al Jazeera's reporting. But I am sure people are already in the process of leaving but not for the reasons that you think but ,mainly, because of the loss in safety & security that the protesters caused.
p.s. btw it's jump & slide

slowjet
12th Aug 2011, 19:48
Meph, thanks for the spell check. Everyone knew what I meant. Glad you now feel safe and secure in a place where justified protest for reform will be met with a bullet or a few volts from a car battery. As a Professional Pilots Forum, this serves as reasonable opinions to those seeking to venture, quite frankly, anywhere in the Middle East and to support those, seeing sense, jumping and................SLIDING ! My thoughts are only for your safety. Tonight, I will add my "voice in the night".

Mephistopheles
12th Aug 2011, 21:02
slowjet, thanks for thinking about my safety & please do take care when getting out of a taxi there coz you just may get shot by the police!

slowjet
13th Aug 2011, 09:20
Well, you & "Not too small" demonstrating total ignorance of events which took place in Norway & London. Disappointing from you Meph who, in the past, posted wisely ,entertainingly & very often, well intentioned. For the record, there is no comparison. There is no chance of my being shot by the police in London. I might get whacked by a bouncy rubber truncheon if I care to wear a mask, a hoody AND take a flying kick at my nearest branch of Harrods for a free laptop ! I might get shot at if I wave a deadly weapon at the Police and look like I mean REAL trouble. But to compare these events with a demonstration by a majority population for democratic reform who, actually, wish to increase your freedom & security is, sadly, lacking an ability to see, excuse the pun, black from white. I trust you take judgement issues less emotionally on the Flight Deck (?). Thankfully, in the Uk we DO have democratic rule & if we don't like the ruling politicians, we kick them out & vote in another lot. I live in West Ealing and had no difficulty in getting to my Operating Base the day after the first night of teenage carnage. Can you say the same ? However, to pull us back to Pprune and "gulfair developments" I am happy to take this debate elsewhere but Bahrain political developments do and will have an enormous impact on those seeking to join and those wishing to join the list of resignations. I believe, that was my point.

snk596
13th Aug 2011, 14:48
Hey guys i just heard about the interview process and found out how the airline is bleeding terribly. They are downsizing. this is what was told in the interview. CONFIRMED NEWS ABOUT CRJS and dont know anything about A320.

The pilot who interviewed was shocked. He said the pay scale is very low. The introduction to the airline was very brief. no chance to ask questions. The exams were easy. They lied about results being offered the same day. It will take them 2 weeks before results are out. Only 2 pilots showed up in 1 day. The other days no one. It is half day interview. There is no mention about upgrading to A320 or A330. They are concentrating on narrow body airplanes.

Who would want to join GF when Emirates and Etihad are hiring?

Chicken Arrows
13th Aug 2011, 16:55
My friend, it was not like this. Do not exaggerate...........

Airmann
13th Aug 2011, 19:31
snk596 - Firstly its C Series not CRJs, Secondly, they are adding new destinations quite regularly. Thirdly the pay scale is OK, not as high as QR but still good. Fourth, what you mean by downsizing is questionable, if you mean they are buying primarily narrow body aircraft then yes they are getting smaller aircraft but its about time they rethink their plan because they can't compete with Emirates or Etihad.

There is no reason why they have to be like Emirates or Qatar or Etihad. If you are disappointed that they are not then move to those other airlines. Gulf Air's Plans are pretty much out in the open, they aren't hiding their destinations or choice of aircraft from you or anyone else.

Albergineman
14th Aug 2011, 13:07
Appart from -AL already on duty, there will be another 3 factory new and fully loaded A320's to join GF's fleet from September and October. Very likely we will see the farewell of A319 and -EE during this period. Add to this 6 factory new A321LR which will join the fleet from January 2012 onwards.
It seems our short-medium distance destinations will increase and more crew will be needed...

EK2EYengineer
14th Aug 2011, 13:53
EE is already history but EU & EV are not going anywhere they will be staying with GF for some time as far as new airvraft yes indeed they will be state of the art technologicaly advanced cabin aircraft.

Airmann
14th Aug 2011, 19:16
1. Whats the difference in the range of the A321 and the A321LR? Have any LRs been delivered yet?

2. If GF get those 318s as part of the C Series deal they'll be one of the few airlines in the world flying the entire 320 family?

3. What's the reason for not going with the 319? I would think that GF could use more flexibility in its fleet as the 319 fits in the gap between the RJ's (C series and ERJs) and the 320.

4. @Albergineman, think you mean the 321s will come January 2012.

Radar Contact
14th Aug 2011, 19:24
@ Albergineman: Apart from -AL which was delivered, we are getting another 5 A320's - 3 this year and 2 next year. 6 A321 will start joining from February. We are also planning for one A319 in 2013 - Things are looking up a bit for Gulf Air.

Side note: I heard we will start flying to Tashkent (Turn around) and Rome (night stop) very soon ;)

Albergineman
14th Aug 2011, 23:52
Apart from -AL which was delivered, we are getting another 5 A320's - 3 this year and 2 next year. 6 A321 will start joining from February. We are also planning for one A319 in 2013 - Things are looking up a bit for Gulf Air.This is what this thread is all about!

Gordomac
15th Aug 2011, 09:49
Here here ! Loved the Rome/Milan stuff on the 767 & the Hotel club lounge at Rome (for, ostensibly, use of flight deck only) was a special treat. Enjoy chaps. Heaven knows you deserve it. ciao !

John21UK
15th Aug 2011, 09:55
Tashkent could be served initialliy with the Embraer. Test the waters a bit...

Not too small
15th Aug 2011, 22:59
Thanks slow j for thinking of us in bahrain.please try to get some more info about whats happening here . we were misled too in the beginning .
But now its different,i cant show you the truth but an international investigators which are recognized by the UN are here and will reveal everything in the near future.
We want the best for the place that we make our living from,i like bahrain very much and ALL the people there.

Radar Contact
16th Aug 2011, 13:39
After the Hellenic Imperial deal broke down, the 2 A340's are coming back but they are painted in all white. LG & LH

LA Dude
16th Aug 2011, 16:57
Can someone kindly post the monthly salary and benifit for Direct Entry Cap on A320?

snk596
17th Aug 2011, 10:53
Most of them were bashing GF now most of them are defending GF!

Ok! C series Bombardier airplanes. The whole interview process information came first hand. Which airline says same day result then when u get to interview they change it saying 2 weeks. I mean whole idea is to get you to the interview then shaft you there. Those guys are a bunch of hooligans! Don't know where the airline is going?

The introduction to the airline was less than 10 minutes is what I was informed. Come on! you are introducing the airline here!

So, it is confirmed that C series are the airplanes that GF is considering!
This means they are downsizing!

Che Guevara
17th Aug 2011, 12:04
- An airline that is taking 15 airframes over the next year is not 'downsizing'.
They have changed their strategy and are flying less long haul but more regional and mid range flights.

- re the interview, I thought you were supposed to sell yourself at the interview, not the other way around.

- Maybe you better look elsewhere, good luck with your interviews.

John21UK
18th Aug 2011, 10:34
@ SNK596.

Downsizing? Have you seen this: http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZA..._leadership_position_in_the_region (http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZA..._leadership_position_in_the_region)

More airbusses (A320 fam and A333) coming, more E-Jets coming, C-Series maybe, new destinations and a big increase in the number of flights. And they are still reqruiting.

Just because they are interested in the C-Series doesn't mean that they are downsizing. It's a different niche aircraft tapping into new/other markets that can't be done as efficient with the Airbus 320 fam. It's going to be flown side-by-side with the Airbusses. Just like the E-Jets now.

They're expanding... :ok:

snk596
18th Aug 2011, 10:35
Thank you Che Guevara!

Guys don't misunderstand! GF was a great airline to fly for in early days but after all the Arab countries have pulled out, they are bleeding and merely surviving!

The information I received that they never gave any time to sell yourself at the interview. It was fast back to back. This is what I was informed easy interview some 4 tests based on spatial checking computer checking verbal comprehension etc.

My concern is where is the airline going with small / medium range airplanes? C series and E 190 type aircraft. This means that the first officers from A340, A330 A320 will upgrade to Captain on which type airplane? Airbus or C and E type aircraft.

Qatar is already upgrading B777 and A330 f.o to Captain on A320. which means you could have spend 6 years on big jets and now Captain on C and E series airplane.

GF is a flag carrier OK but is a FLAG CARRIER going to fly 100 seat jets and turn out to be Gulf Air Express? back home this is what is happening regional jets is the way of the future

snk596
18th Aug 2011, 10:41
So A320 f.o. is now preparing himself for Captain on E 190 and C series after putting 3-4 years of service with Gulf Air?
Does GF have a strategy planned out for the F.O's?

Increasing destinations!
I don't think so. They are merely flying to the same destinations that they had to pull out in past years.
They are going to be fly there and back. This means low cost module overworked and underpaid!

ironbutt57
18th Aug 2011, 10:56
What low cost model are you referring to snk596?? Think your info and perspective of GF is a bit confused..

John21UK
18th Aug 2011, 11:27
SNK596. Expect more destinations to be announced soon, that's all I can tell. Don't forget they already started several new services during the past year. New IFE (Panasonic) to be rolled out on all aircraft as well, starting this SEP.

ironbutt57
18th Aug 2011, 11:57
All airlines over here I would suspect lose money in many markets, but recover it through connections to high value destinations, and yes snk596 does point out correctly, a few of the "new markets" GF is pursuing were in fact previously served by GF:ok:

Airmann
18th Aug 2011, 12:03
snk,
Do you know that in almost every airline in the world f.o.'s move up aircraft size then back down to the smallest when they become captains. Do you know that back in the day fo's in British Airways used to go from flying the Concorde to becoming captains on HS748 (thats a turboprop by the way). Thats Mach2.0 at 60,000ft to 250knots. at 16,000. I'm fairly sure they still have the same policy, 777/747 back down to the ERJ.

And btw SNK Qatar will probably be getting regional jets in the future, so go and join them by the time you get your command they'll probably throw you back down to the C series or something of similar size. I mean what kind of person comes on a website and says that I'm too good to go down to a regional jet (mind you a jet not even a turboprop, which is where some pilots go in some airlines). The only reason you go from a 777/340/330 to a 320 in QR is because thats the smallest aircraft they have, once they get smaller you'll be straight to that.

And the reason people are defending GF is because it is actually going in the right direction. For a long time it was a bit of a joke, but it really isn't anymore, for the first time in a while things are looking up.

As for flying there and back GF is pretty standard, go ask guys on QRs 320 how they work, or Air Arabia, or anyone else for that matter, everyone is complaining right now because everyone is short of pilots and guys are working their backsides off. And we're done with the days of 3 night layovers, its there and back for everyone, not just in the Gulf, but all over the world.

I don't know what world you are living in SNK.

snk596
18th Aug 2011, 13:19
Good information!
I already know all this. Why would a F.O. fly the 320 in GF and then upgrade to Captain on a E or C series? These airplanes are dead end. Pilots from regional jets are desperate to fly 320. Yes! it makes sense to fly 320 Captain after flying F.O. on 777/ 340 / 330 but not Captain on regional jets after 320 F.O. It will make sense in an airline with union and seniority , etc British airways, Cathay Pacific , KLM.

Flying a Boeing series or Airbus series will land you a job some how!
With EMB and Bombardier your options are limited!

Lets compare British airways and GF destinations!

Did you say back in the days? No turboprops anymore neither concorde?

QR EY EK will never get regional jets! They will stick to 320 and have a low cost airline call fly dubai even that is B737. That is the smallest!

Flying back to back is acceptable on 320 and 737 but not a regional jet.

C and E are good for CPL holders. Regional jets are replacement for the turbo props.

Even Asia and middle east are recruiting CPL holders directly on 737 and A320.

If GF is doing so well then how come so many pilots left to join Qatar? QR being the dictatorship type airline!

snk596
18th Aug 2011, 13:25
How many hours does a pilot work in GF? low cost operations are lots of hours and no vacation!

How many of you GF pilots were told their vacation is cancelled this year?

IFE Panasonic . seriously! you are excited about IFE!

I would be concerned with getting more 319's rather than E and C jets!

The E190 and A318 are almost the same seating capacity.

mutt
18th Aug 2011, 13:32
Saudi Arabia is slowly allowing international airlines operate to domestic airports, they are also expected to allow these airlines operate domestically within Saudi, so the EMB and C-series will be perfectly suited for these markets. GF can establish niche markets bringing expats from the smaller industrial cities to Bahrain then wherever. :ok:

Mutt

Airmann
18th Aug 2011, 13:57
You're right GF is not BA or AC etc. But firstly let me start by saying the list of cariers flying the Ejets is growing everyday, and I know for a fact that there is a demand for Ejet pilots not a surplus.

As for working conditions and having leave cancelled its the same in QR so again, not something new. Pilots all over the GCC are complaining about working hours.

Yes, if you simply want to come to GF to advance in your career and to use it as a stepping stone to somewhere else, which I am assuming you do, then moving to an Regional jet probably isn't the best career move, especially if you want to be flying wide body jets within the next 5 years or so.

The reality is that GF have 4 Regional Jets and should have around 20 airbus narrow bodies by the end of the year. So the chances of you being upgraded to captain on an RJ is slim. I know of a few 330 FOs that are being upgraded to Captains directly on the 330.

Yes it is true that GFs promotions are not always honest and people are looked over for someone else because of wasta, so you might be stuck on these planes longer than you might be if the system was honest, but you are still getting paid well and its not something that you don't see happening in QR or in EY, not sure about EK, I hear they have their house pretty much in order.

I hope you realize that QR and EY are pretty much being run by Ex-GF folk.

Airmann
18th Aug 2011, 14:00
One more thing SNK, GF are working their pilots hard because of a serious lack of pilots. Its the same at QR and EY. Once they have enough guys to fly the planes things will begin to normalize. Taking away leave is not normal but due to the circumstance vis a vis crew.

Airmann
18th Aug 2011, 19:38
SNK, you ask why so many GF pilots are leaving to QR, I ask you, why are so many QR pilots also leaving their jobs, take a look at the QR thread, the numbers are fairly large. The reality is that almost all of these airlines have the same working conditions with the same problems. Only EK can put its head above the rest.

As for QR never getting RJs, yes there is still the chance they might also order C series. The reality is that GF is doing a smart thing by ordering these jets and you'll see more of them in Gulf airlines shortly.

The problem in this part of the world is that there are a lot of impatient and pissed off foreigners who show up expecting their lives to be exactly the way it was in Europe, no DEMANDING that their lives are exactly the same as in Europe so they go jumping from country to country until they realize its pretty much the same everywhere. And I can tell you that lots of GF pilots that have left for EK actually miss the camaraderie of the GF working environment as most of them are just numbers in that behemoth of an airline.

This part of the world is just what you make it of it, there are to many people who show up and bitch and moan about everything and think that the grass is greener on the other side, until they've checked all the sides and realize that they were pissing on their own grass the whole time and that's why it looked so brown. And most of them are raking in the cash having a ball on their days off, not taking the slightest bit of interest in the country or region they're in, feeling that they're superior to everyone, bitching and moaning, but they wouldn't dare to leave it all and go back home not for a second, frankly their attitude towards it all is very questionable.

Having said that there are plenty of great expats who have been here for years and are very much part of the community.

behramjee
19th Aug 2011, 08:13
Dear All,

Gulf Air has officially announced highlights of its expansion plan for the upcoming IATA Winter 2011 season of which the main highlights are as follows:

ADD - frequencies increased from 6 weekly to daily nonstop flights.

KRT - frequencies increased from 6 weekly to daily nonstop flights.

MAA - frequencies increased from daily to 9 weekly nonstop flights.

KTM - frequencies increased from 12 weekly to double daily nonstop flights.

BEY - frequencies increased from daily to 10 weekly nonstop flights.

KBL - frequencies increased from 4 to 5 weekly nonstop flights.

DXB - frequencies increased from 7 daily to 9 daily nonstop flights.

IST - frequencies increased from 5 weekly to daily nonstop flights.

AUH - frequencies increased from 4 to 5 times daily nonstop flights.

DAC - frequencies increased from 10 to 11 weekly flights.

CMB - frequencies increased from 8 to 9 weekly nonstop flights.

KWI - frequencies increased from 4 to 5 times daily nonstop flights.

For more information, please click on the news article link below:
http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZA..._leadership_position_in_the_region (http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZAWYA20110818060028/Gulf_Airs_new_winter_schedule_strengthens_its_leadership_pos ition_in_the_region)

Che Guevara
19th Aug 2011, 08:32
Now, all they need is enough crew to operate them......:ugh:

40&80
20th Aug 2011, 19:24
No worries...The last time they upped the schedules they never told engineering
thus there were no aircraft available when the pilots drag bagged up to departures....they call it management Jim but not as we know it.:D:D

sssand
22nd Aug 2011, 15:39
Heard from one of the direct entry airbus new joiners that they've been bonded for training:sad: Furthermore they were not advised by the company beforehand about this bond:D:D:D On the first day in the company they were requested to sign it:ok::ok::ok: Way to go GF, pilots are already here, time to screw them from the start:D

You should've told people about the bond during the interview:roll eyes: But of course many of them will not join in this case:E

Landflap
22nd Aug 2011, 19:16
Horrific. Absolutely no hope for this third world airline. But, what do you expect when the Managers are there because of who they know rather than what they know. Tragic but true to form. What a disaster.

ironbutt57
22nd Aug 2011, 23:54
You people make me laugh.....

Apache702
23rd Aug 2011, 06:51
:ugh::yuk:, the fun will be much greater, to give u an example, when i joined they came and picked up my boxes at my doorstep... my contract states that i am entitled......back to my doorstep, guess what, now that u resigned they will ignore the contract and send only from airport to airport....so i had to rent a truck and go pick it up myself at the airport, total cost 1000$, ok it is not much(some of u will say), but this just shows u how they are... and i agree with who u know is what make the difference in the game, not what u know and neither how good u are or how much experience u have...when people are holding the balance....it will eventually re-balance itself. Dont worry if u dont understand my last statement, u probably did very good with Gulfair management....:} and have nothing to worry about :} LOL

snk596
23rd Aug 2011, 07:23
Unacceptable!

This is why they never had many pilots show up at the interview. What I heard is no one was informed about the bond. I have confirmed this with the pilot who was there at the interview.

It would be a mistake for the pilots spending a thousand dollar to go for the interview.

Why would any one sign a bond if you are type rated on the airplane? Maybe it is for pilots from Airbus who will fly the EMBRAER and BOMBARDIER airplanes. Of course it has to be. I mean those airplanes are way of the future as many mentioned in the above posts.

WATCH OUT GUYS! IT IS MOUSE TRAP!

sssand
23rd Aug 2011, 07:35
Type rated guys got bonded for training (sim sessions) as they say sim is not GF property anymore. And as i've heard bond is more than 5k Bd:rolleyes:

Sleek
23rd Aug 2011, 07:43
Does anyone have the information on how much the bond is? How long?

This is for already type rated pilot.

I want to ask them in the interview but it would not seem appropriate asking questions in the interview. I want the job right now so if any one has something to share. Please do.

Thanks in advance.

Sleek
23rd Aug 2011, 07:45
Thank you SSSAND!

5K BD and how long is the bond?

slowjet
23rd Aug 2011, 08:24
Sleek, c'mon, you are a professional pilot not a pussycat. If you want to ask questions at the interview, do so. Ask them lots. You do not want to wind up in a situation, unacceptable to you because you were ill-informed or not informed ? You say that you want the job. Are you sure ? Needing is one thing, wanting is another. Do your homework . A lot of us have wound up 'needing' a job but would not 'want' to go to some places. I have been on the Selection Board for a different airline & when we got a candidate who asked lots of questions, we were impressed. I also know of some dreadful companies whose 'selection staff' had no idea and deemed question askers as potential troublemakers ! I failed to get into two companies after I asked lots of questions, even some relating to political stabilty(you might want to consider that one too). With some of these dreadful companies, if you really need it & possibly want it, go ahead but do have a well manufactured exit strategy and be prepared to lose a lot. Forget bags from door to door, try....loadsa money !!!!!!

sssand
23rd Aug 2011, 10:20
Sleek, i know it is at least 5k maybe more, as i heard 2 years.
But this can be wrong, best thing is to ask about ANY bonds during your interview, or if you have already done it, try contacting HR regarding tho matter. As i suppose not many will be happy with such kind of surprise on their first day in the company.
Good luck!

Sleek
23rd Aug 2011, 10:24
You hit the spot Slowjet! But asking particular questions does not work with middle east airlines/companies. It used to work in first world countires before not any more. Even they are not liking job seekers asking questions.
Reason - companies and airlines are not pofiting as much as they should so they don't like us asking questions.

Slow jet , You seem to be some one with loads of experience under your belt. Keep it to yourself!

I am on pprune to enquire , find answers and share any relevant information. I will keep doing that.

SLOW JET , watch your mouth next time before you open it.

Sleek
23rd Aug 2011, 10:27
SSSand , I am sure that GF owned those simulators.

Things might have changed. They never mentioned the bond or time of the bond in the interview or even through emails?
I have my application submitted to them.

sssand
23rd Aug 2011, 10:38
Sleek, the sims now belong to GAA and this is the reason for them to bond you, and as i think they just do not want to lose people after very short time because they will leave next door.
So if you do not want to ask questions be prepared for surprises:O

I would've contacted HR and ask them if there will be ANY bond upon your joining.

Good luck! See ya soon, inshalah:E

DesertHawk
23rd Aug 2011, 12:47
seriously when is someone going to striaghten out this rostering problem!!!!! again late roster seems the norm i guess accept it as it aint getting any beetter!

PS: a company bonding a type rated guy is a joke. a new low on the gf list

showel
23rd Aug 2011, 13:46
Maybe someone from the new joiners can confirm the rumor about the bond???:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

slowjet
23rd Aug 2011, 19:50
Hey sleek, I am on Pprune to share, yeah, loads of experience. I thought I did that. In offering you advice, take it or leave it. To tell me to watch my mouth. How dare you , pussycat. You have no chance of passing ANY selection Board with that attitude. Keep YOUR mouth shut at your GF interview. Don't ask any questions. Oh, and say hello to that "Regret to inform you" letter of which I am sure you have enough to decorate your house with ! Put some cream on that nose. We ALL know where you will be placing it. Twerp.

DesertHawk
23rd Aug 2011, 19:56
FYI, the new hire EMB pilots ARE NOT BONDED and they are sending them to Amman for the induction sims. so a double standard if this is true. Sad and to be honest as a type rated guy why would u even consider signing a bond? Slap in the face and lets be honest shows we are not a top notch carrier as we are scared of losing DEC in a few months. unfortunate situation.

Sleek
23rd Aug 2011, 23:17
Thanks for the information Deserthawk.

I agree with you. Why would any one sign a bond if type rated.
Sad to see GF's double standard!

Can any one confirm average monthly hours a pilot flies in GF?

snk596
23rd Aug 2011, 23:42
Guys , u can stop bashing each other. We would like to get more pertinent info on the work at GF!
So slowjet , can you tell us any thing about GF that might help all our fellow pilots?
Guess not!

OKAY , here is some info about the bond! Since GF is getting 20 new A320's as per the posts by sincere GF pilots , there should be no bond as Airbus offers free type ratings when you buy airplanes from them. Depending on the airline, 4 pilot type ratings are free. sometimes 2 or 6.

So, as mentioned earlier by MR. DESERTHAWK and MR. SSSAND, the bond is only to keep the pilots from leaving next door.
I believe many left to QATAR earlier and there are many more still leaving.
GF doesn't care about EMB and C series as there are not many choices of airlines to go to with that type rating. nor there will be ever!

ironbutt57
24th Aug 2011, 05:31
Gulf Air, like ALL airlines here, makes a substantial investment when hiring a new pilot, therefore bonds them for a specific period to help defray the cost, if one is not happy, go sign a bigger one at EK or QR, simple...QR will actually deduct it from your salary for the time specified...

DesertHawk
24th Aug 2011, 08:57
ironbutt!!!!!!! i usually am very inline with your thinking but are u serious! there is NO bond on the EMB but a bond for TYPE rated guys on the 320? been here a long time and this has never been the case, if u came type rated u had no bond, and by the way this is in line with INDUSTRY standards around the world. seriously i get how u defend your territory as do i when needed but this is so far beyond normal u truly sound like a man with his head in the sand!

2. avg hours on 320 approx 75-80, recent pay check 4200 bd approx give or take a few BD this does not include the 700 housing total is approx 4900 all together, so not to shabby

Mephistopheles
24th Aug 2011, 09:09
Another late roster!!! I guess antoine is so busy planning the post-Eid rosters for all the management & friends. Ramadan is shortly over so now all the boys want to head out to party.
Saw one of our 340s back by the hangars the other day. What's the plan with that? They planning on using it or just letting it rot in quietly in the corner.

John21UK
24th Aug 2011, 10:03
A340 sale to Hellenic Imperail deal fell through.

Also, GF announces 3 new routes for the upcoming Winter 11 season;
Media Center |About Gulf Air|Gulf Air (http://www.gulfair.com/English/aboutgulfair/Pages/News.aspx?newsno=287)

FCO will be flown 4 times per week using an A320 effective 30NOV

JUB will be flown 3 times per week using an E90 effecitve 07FEB

EBB will be flown 4 times per week using an A319 effective 05DEC

snk596
24th Aug 2011, 14:35
Thank you , Deserthawk , SSSAnd , Jonh21Uk , Mephistopheles , Shovel , Apache702 ALL THOSE WHO POSTED INFORMATION
Information you post are very helpful to pilots who are looking to join.
If we always had this , the union and airlines would never be able take advantage of us.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

Che Guevara
24th Aug 2011, 21:44
Surprised they missed out Mogadishu....:rolleyes:

snk596
25th Aug 2011, 03:16
Guys , those of you who are joining as A320 direct entry pilots Captains and f.o's. there is a way to get out of the bond . do you know the term wasta. it is called whom you know in the company. there is 1 pilot negotiating not signing the bond right now as we speak. GF is considering it also.

the 2 people who interviewed you , talk to them. They will work something out. This is INSIDER information. Careful! How you swing this.

If you guys go as a team they will remove the bond. Guaranteed!
Madam ZM knows all about it. Hope you guys make it.

Strangeday
25th Aug 2011, 20:47
The real surprise is that we are not flying to Tripoli, I was expecting that after Bagdad and Kabul.

Mephistopheles
25th Aug 2011, 20:49
New joiners-play hardball with the idiots in HR & upstairs. They are all talk & despite all their BS they are desparate for people to join. Good luck.

showel
25th Aug 2011, 21:33
The real surprise is that we are not flying to Tripoli, I was expecting that after Bagdad and Kabul.

You mean - not yet:E

Strangeday
25th Aug 2011, 21:43
Time: 00:30 LT
Day: 26 AUG 2011
Roster: NIL
Crew Planning: Useless

Gordomac
26th Aug 2011, 08:52
Anyone out there remember Dick Hughes ? I shot into rostering one day, huffing & puffing because I had a ten day block which started at 0001 day one, and after a ten-day gap (nothing written in) it ended at 0059 ! He knew I was ex BA and said, "Listen old boy, this is not BA, in fact, it is not even an airline. It is a flying club & everyone here loves it. Your ten day block will be filled in with data in due course. Now off you go to the Gulf Hotel Swimming pool & top up that tan". I did and hardly looked back for 17 odd years.

AeroForce
26th Aug 2011, 12:31
Pilot rosters WILL be published on the 25th.
(should be published on 23rd OR duly notified in case of exigency)

Friday 26th 15:30 STILL NO #%&#& ROSTER :mad:
Accountability.......???????????
Management still asking themselves why people are leaving?
1 big factor = a.a. and the inability of proper crew planning or establishing crew numbers for fleet requirements! :ugh: :=

Sal-e
26th Aug 2011, 16:22
Having been here for several years , it gets rather old seeing the same old complaints whenever a wave of new recruits come in...wave after wave after wave of the same ****.

John21UK
27th Aug 2011, 18:10
What's the status of GF's flights that were temporarily cancelled due to the political unrest earlier this year? Has the full schedule been resumed yet?

OUAQUKGF Ops
27th Aug 2011, 21:00
:uhoh:Dick Hughes - Many the Night Shifts I've shared with Dickie in that grotty old Muharraq Ops Block. The only drawback was Dick's Disco - a battered tape player which belted out Pink Floyd non-stop at three o'clock in the morning for it seems at least ten years or more. Drove me mad. Even so I never learnt the words - some rubbish about a hole in a wall?
Dickie now lives in Wales and manages Abergavenny Market. We keep in touch.

ironbutt57
28th Aug 2011, 02:03
Pink Floyd....rubbish???....go wash your mouth out with soap:eek:

Panama Jack
28th Aug 2011, 03:37
What's the status of GF's flights that were temporarily cancelled due to the political unrest earlier this year? Has the full schedule been resumed yet?

Not yet. At least not to Iran or Iraq (Beirut is back). I have heard from a colleague that we will be returning to a couple of the Iraqi destinations in short order.

snk596
28th Aug 2011, 10:46
For the new hires with a type rating, the bond is a way to absorb money from the new ones. They will make you sign the bond and obviously within a few weeks you realize it was better remaining at your previous company or joining the neighbors , when you want to leave they will reduce the bond as to where you think it would be feasible to pay the bond and join QR , EY , EK or even Fly Dubai!

sirwa69
29th Aug 2011, 05:57
OOPs

The Hindu : Cities / Kochi : Seven injured as Gulf Air plane skids off runway at Kochi airport (http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Kochi/article2408093.ece)

Yo767
29th Aug 2011, 08:13
Kochi: Plane skids off the runway, 7 passengers injured (http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/kochi-plane-skids-off-the-runway-7-passengers-injured-129708)

Oakape
29th Aug 2011, 09:57
Now that's a 'development'!!! :eek:

ironbutt57
29th Aug 2011, 10:03
Spot on Gordomac...

Fubaliera
30th Aug 2011, 06:44
Was the Captain a local

showel
30th Aug 2011, 07:04
CPT and F/O both locals

showel
30th Aug 2011, 07:09
"Gentlemen In the light of this unfotunate and unforseen(by the management only) occurance I would like recommend few points:

1. Some one from management becomes man enough to hand over his resignation.

2. Over haul the ever going down training department.

3. Use of thurst Reversers in all weather conditions

4. Review the upgrade policy.
Why? The Captain was experienced enough
5. No requirement to file an ASR for diversion and Go arounds.

6. Increase the blue line requirements.
Same as for nr.4
7. Cancel the Mix fleet flying.
None of the crew of 270 were qualified for mix fleet
8. All Subcontinent flights will not be preceeded by additional sectors.

9. There must be a cap on maximum numbers of night turn arounds per line.

10. Intensive training on Runway Excursions.

Please Feel free to add your inputs, While management are busy in refining the seat belt recycleing procedure."

Everything else you can submit to the office:O:E

AeroForce
30th Aug 2011, 07:25
According to reliable sources a.a. has come up with a brilliant idea to save more money and secure his bonus... (already being implemented).

Stop upgrading your own people, as training costs a lot of money and only hire Direct Entry Captains.

Probably forgetting that training DEC's also takes 2-3 weeks of admin days and ground school followed by 3-4 weeks of simulator and line training, but more importantly that by effectively destroying carreer prospects for F/O's the resignations and costs of training for replacement F/O's.
F/O's that you are going to have to train to captain at same point anyway, therefore you're NOT SAVING ANYTHING. It's just a short term fix that saves money for a very short period of time, but COSTS MORE IN THE LONG RUN and destroys CREW MORALE! :ugh:

That's what you get if you hire people for management functions with no degree in management or business! :mad:

bus_aviator
30th Aug 2011, 08:06
won't happen aeroforce, the local f/o's have or are going to have options very soon, this ain't gf 95 when you joined as a local and realized you will be occupying the right for 10 years...ie more airlines in the gulf requiring pilots, with asia already being a big vacuum for expat pilots here. as for the dude's earlier asking if the f/o and cmd are locals...irrelevant lads, know both the guys... and GF has decided that they are competent to fill in their seats, not I or you. I notice a lot of new nick's on here, assuming that they are a few new emb joiners...very opinionated individuals, hope you guys enjoy GF in the right seat of the 320 when that time comes

Albergineman
30th Aug 2011, 09:41
Some extra info...

Accident: Gulf Air A320 at Kochi on Aug 29th 2011, runway excursion (http://avherald.com/h?article=4420ff31&opt=1)

:{

Panama Jack
30th Aug 2011, 10:19
OK. Allow me to toss in a few of my own. The investigation has only begun but evidently, you seem to already have the reasons and more importantly, the necessary solutions.

1. Some one from management becomes man enough to hand over his resignation.
Who and, more importantly, why?

2. Over haul the ever going down training department.
Improvement is always good. What do you recommend?

3. Use of thurst Reversers in all weather conditions
Why? Are you also advocating the use of Medium Autobrake regardless of runway length or surface condition? How about TOGA thrust, full length, for all takeoffs? Since you seem uncomfortable with the discretionary use of reverse thrust, you may also wish to review OM-A 8.9.12.15 on the policy regarding the use of reverse thrust to make sure you are using it appropriately. Also, you may wish to do some additional reading on landing on slippery runways. You are probably already aware that there may be cases that you should actually cancel reverse thrust when on a slippery runway.

4. Review the upgrade policy.
Why? The Captain was experienced enough

5. No requirement to file an ASR for diversion and Go arounds.
Management was already ahead of you on this one. There is NO requirement to file an ASR for diversion or go around. The list of mandatory occurances is on the bottom of the back side of the ASR form. Even more information is in OM-A Chapter 11 and OM-A Chapter 2.3

6. Increase the blue line requirements.
Same as for nr.4

7. Cancel the Mix fleet flying.
None of the crew of 270 were qualified for mix fleet

8. All Subcontinent flights will not be preceeded by additional sectors.
Was that a factor in this accident?

9. There must be a cap on maximum numbers of night turn arounds per line.
This was a nightstop flight for the flight deck crew. I would agree, though with your sentiment that Cabin Crew should be kept together with the flight deck crew.

10. Intensive training on Runway Excursions.
Intensive training on this, intensive training on that. Sign up now for the Special High Intensity Training (****). You may be relatively new at Gulf Air but we did have training on excursions and overruns a few years ago. The Training Department seems to try to incorporate lessons learned from incidents/accidents (I expect some stuff from AF447 in the future and probably from this one too). To provide annual intensive training on anything and everything that can go wrong on an airplane is not exactly feasable the Company or trainee. I agree that there is room for more training but I don't really fancy they idea of a month-long Loooooong Event either.

Please Feel free to add your inputs, While management are busy in refining the seat belt recycleing procedure."
I don't have an issue with intelligent discussion on accidents that are based on facts or more importantly, provide constructive solutions based on real data. While some of what you wrote might have a modicum of merit to it, more than anything it sounds like another jab.

More importantly though, if you do have information or suggestions for improvement then why don't you put it in writing to the people on First Floor, Wing A or even schedule a face to face meeting with them? Safety is our responsibility and if you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problem. I am sure that they can make time for you.

AeroForce
30th Aug 2011, 10:22
"This was not the pilots' first time at Kochi and they know the conditions well," said Gulf Air chief operating officer Captain Nasser Al Salmi.

He said the pilot, who is 35, had been with the airline since 2002 and had experience in flying Airbus A320, 330 and 340.
"He has now been a captain for the last 18 months," Capt Al Salmi told a Press conference at the Gulf Air headquarters in Muharraq.

He said the co-pilot, 37, had joined Gulf Air last year and had several years' experience with other airlines.

Gulf Daily News » Local News » Pilots hailed for averting tragedy (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=312649)

Funny, last year there were no direct entry first officers hired.... right??? :rolleyes: :\
What was that famous song by Fleetwood Mac again.........

Anyway, all the best to the crew involved difficult times for all of them. Nothing bad to be said about the flight crew either. What's the saying again: any landing you walk away from alive, is a good landing!
Furthermore, we have absolutely no insight in what happened weather wise. Looks like they could have been taken unexpectedly by freak weather. Let's wait for the final report to be published before some of us here pass judgement. I'm sure none of us aim to be involved in a incident or accident and try our best to avoid it!

@bus aviator, it's already being implemented. DEC's are being hired as we speak. Even though Gulf Air has more than 20 F/O's with more than minimum time required and also a lot of Bahraini's that are on the brink of making minimum time... SO why all these DEC's on the 320?! Very shortly you'll see all the command upgrade assessments slow down because of these DEC's and a growing back log of command "ready" f/o's...

Happy landings all :cool:

John21UK
30th Aug 2011, 11:02
@ Panama Jack. You just made my day!
"...Sign up now for the Special High Intensity Training (****)."

SCATANA
30th Aug 2011, 13:11
Sounds similar to the AUH A320 incident a few years back which was thought to have been caused by a sudden sideways gust.

repapips
30th Aug 2011, 13:17
@ Panama Jack. You just made my day!
"...Sign up now for the Special High Intensity Training (****)."

Isn't this what you sign for when you first join? :)

jackbauer
30th Aug 2011, 13:29
Scat, the AUH incident was a take off phase not landing.

SCATANA
30th Aug 2011, 15:33
Indeed. Was just pointing out the similarities.

Both A320s were blown off the centerline in bad Wx with no reported Tech issues...so far.

Panama Jack
30th Aug 2011, 15:59
In any case, I am glad to see the Company positively backing these pilots in the press. Anybody who is a pilot can imagine how heavily the recent events must weigh on them and these guys are probably having the worst and most stressful Eid ever.

Whatever the factors behind it, it is a nasty scar on a pilot's career which every one of us hopes to never have to face.

P.S. @ Gulf Air CEO. Just saw your message and you've got some good points there. Lets see what they come up with during the investigation. Eid Mubarrek.

Che Guevara
30th Aug 2011, 18:03
Just for the record, the A-320 has had several nose wheel oscillation problems, both during takeoff and landing. Indeed, probably the most publicized was the Jet Blue incident where it rotated 90 degrees during approach, leading to a very well flown touch down and rollout. I believe the most recent incident has been on a Vueling 320 this year.

And my point is.....I am not suggesting that this has any relevance whatsoever with the Cochin incident, however it might of been in Abu Dhabi...not sure about being 'blown off the runway' or a 'sudden sideways gust' however.

Vueling A320 nose gear @ 90 deg. landing (no. 19 out of a series of many) [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-450286.html)

Cheers

jackbauer
30th Aug 2011, 20:01
Airbus even named the phenomena as Lateral Jerk. Suspected BSCU problem but never truly resolved.

40&80
30th Aug 2011, 21:32
Lateral Jerk...that is a good one...sits nicely alongside Instrument Judder... cited in a Gf B767 Doha messed up approach and miss.... exceeding several parameters.
I believe the Auh 320 pilot who was toast... was ex Dan Air ...the Doha B767 pilot was not toast..go figure.

buba
31st Aug 2011, 00:30
Wonder if aquaplaning could have been a contributing factor to the overun

DesertHawk
31st Aug 2011, 04:49
bravo panama! I THINK ceo has lost the plot. I am very curious how an unfortunate incident that involved our aircraft indicates a change in our upgrade policy? also can u be more specific in how? personally from what i have heard the upgrade is intensive here and the blue line well lets just call it extensive. CEO i am curious as to what u are comparing GF to? back home the upgrade and "blue line" is less then half what we do. anyways glad to see GF ops sticking by the pilots as it sends a good message!:D

Che Guevara
5th Sep 2011, 20:27
It's not a war zone is it?

AVIATION REFUGEE
7th Sep 2011, 20:36
THEY CAME BACK......! NO MONEY, NO PLANES!

Che Guevara
8th Sep 2011, 08:11
Did someone go somewhere?

SCATANA
9th Sep 2011, 14:53
Why is everyone talking in riddles these days ?

Last time I checked it was Etihad taking pprune to court NOT Gulf Air.

Landflap
9th Sep 2011, 21:29
Thanks Scatana. Thought it was just me. Getting on a bit but not that bad ! What ? Who's in the bath ? What? Gear down, flap 5 ! What ?

SCATANA
9th Sep 2011, 21:39
@LandFlap:

Yeah, lost it there. Must be the summer schedual taking its toll. Blam A.A.

A300Man
10th Sep 2011, 09:40
What are Gulf Air loads like to Europe at the moment, particularly in J class? Note the online fares are a tad higher than some of the competition who have more frequencies, so it suggests that GF loads may be quite healthy?

The online forums suggests that GF cabin crew is well liked by the public and offer good service, whilst the aircraft hardware is a lot less liked!

Panama Jack
10th Sep 2011, 16:38
The online forums suggests that GF cabin crew is well liked by the public and offer good service, whilst the aircraft hardware is a lot less liked!

Glad to hear that. GF Cabin Crew really do carry this airline and get a lot less credit than I feel they deserve.

WELCO
10th Sep 2011, 18:16
100% Agree PJ!!

Flyer1015
10th Sep 2011, 20:04
What's the saying again: any landing you walk away from alive, is a good landing!
My version of that saying is that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing in which you can walk away from and use the airplane again is a great landing.

Apache702
11th Sep 2011, 12:15
some people really think that way.:yuk: having flown with many of them , that s the best they can hope for anyway....

"My version of that saying is that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Any landing in which you can walk away from and use the airplane again is a great landing." :ugh:

Have another GREAT landing :ok:

John21UK
20th Sep 2011, 15:20
- GF extends W11 suspension of Iran flights effective 30OCT11.
- GF plans A340 service to LHR from 30OCT11 till 28JAN12 on selected flights.
Source:GDS

- GF suspends the 4x weekly Alexandria till MAY12. No reason given.
Source: businesstravellerme.com (http://digg.com/search?q=site:businesstravellerme.com)

- GF looks to increase DOH flights with one more daily rotation.
Source: Gulf News

Che Guevara
21st Sep 2011, 10:11
Anyone using mccPilotLog?

If so, how do you like it?

Thanks

fly66
23rd Sep 2011, 14:41
Can somebody please post or PM me the 320 roster for GulfAir
Cheers

Mephistopheles
25th Sep 2011, 10:03
fly66, it seems everyone is too busy flying to reply to you!

I am not too sure about the 320 roster but I gather its quite alot of night turnarounds & 4 sector days, but they do have nightstops in Dubai, Colombo,Nairobi,Milan,Chennai,Cochin at the moment. You will also have the pleasure of flying into Kabul,that's if ATC don't force you to turnaround & go back to Bahrain! Having said that I believe the 320 is the most unstable of the fleets due to numerous changes throughout the roster period so you never will really know how your month will turn out.
Also, unless you build a personal relationship with the crew planning manager don't expect to get a fair roster.

fly66
25th Sep 2011, 11:07
Thanks a lot mephi...I'll keep waiting

SCATANA
25th Sep 2011, 16:12
Cpt. Z.M. R.I.P.

:(

flighttimer
25th Sep 2011, 17:33
R.I.P :(
Does anyone know how he passed exactly?

Gone too soon. :(

slowjet
25th Sep 2011, 18:25
Oh c'mon. Why the code crap. Tell us all who ZM is, how, why, when & then the rest of us who do not speak codespeak can wish his passing & as we would wish ! RIP any fellow aviator.

Chuck Y
25th Sep 2011, 18:32
R.I.P. Captain Zayed Mansouri, may God Bless his family & give them strength.

flighttimer
25th Sep 2011, 20:57
I believe today, in Kuala Lampur.
Not sure how.

May god rest his soul in peace and give his family strength.

surfer of desert
26th Sep 2011, 06:37
Really sad news....
with this "type of roster" almost 100 hrs a month, this is the second Capt this year who had a serious threat (hart problem on duty). I personally dont think that medical exams in the Gulf air clinic are proper done. I flew with lot pilots who had a bad habit to smoke a lot (believe or not they still doing in the cockpit) and the managers Knows for sure who still doing it, without any actions.
Captain Z. Mansouri, may God Bless his family & give them strength.

slowjet
26th Sep 2011, 19:17
Chuck Y, thanks. Can't recall this fellow but, yes, peace be with him. Any fellow aviator who passes in this way will be dreadfully missed.

Not too small
27th Sep 2011, 07:16
And with this kind of planning many more will fall dead soon.
I hope our sleep management will wake up and stop blaming the weather, lifestyle,TV or anything else.

Landflap
27th Sep 2011, 08:57
Surfer, you are right about the Gf (so called ) clinic ! When I was there, way back when, wired up to the ECG machine, they thought I was having a ceasure ! No kidding, in the clinic, on the machine ! Turned out the nurse wired me up to a faulty machine, earmarked for maintenance, later that day ! Another recent case; Guy wrongly diagnosed, lost his licence for a while, placed on medication that nearly killed him, threw the medication down the drain & has never looked or felt better in his life. Of course he is out of GF and smiling every day.Capt ZM , RIP, is also out of GF and in a much better place......smiling every day too. Condolences to all hurt by his passing.

Che Guevara
27th Sep 2011, 19:31
Sorry to hear the sad news. RIP old friend and may peace be upon you.

Che Guevara
27th Sep 2011, 20:09
Why is GF haemorraging pilots at such a rate, and I don't mean by natural causes?

Indeed, it seems that not a day goes by without someone else saying they are leaving. Is this of no concern in the offices, and if not, why not? Surely someone is concerned, perhaps not....:{

Are they not aware that the flood has not subsided, don't they care? What is being said to these people. OK, have a nice life, next....not a very secure feeling for the remaining hard working professionals who go above and beyond to make things work.

Perhaps it's simply the lure of shiny heavy metal and decent rostering?

Bike
27th Sep 2011, 23:33
Hello,

What are the OM(A) minimum requirements for an A320 Captain to be eligible for 320/330 CCQ or MFF? Is it a minimum number of hours within GF, minimum time of service or both?

Does GF actually practices CCQ across the Airbus family pilots or is it basically confined to only senior pilots, trainers etc?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

rumrunner69
28th Sep 2011, 21:33
I don't care if I am flying a C 172 that I have to hand prop and crawl over a dead moose to get in the seat... The problem is unstable rosters... 90 hr months day/night/day pairings and no leave.

CRUIZE
28th Sep 2011, 22:13
Yes it gets to that stage then the hard choice you choose money or life style did 24 years in GF
Capt Zayed Mansoor R I P I remember when he joined as S/O

wadefac
29th Sep 2011, 00:30
if you are thinking direct entry 320 capt. then expect 8 to +++ years before u c the 330.......all current 320 f/o's are ahead of u............but then wadefac knows (wodefac) knows

Che Guevara
29th Sep 2011, 15:34
Anyone go to the 'meeting' this afternoon?

Bus Junkie
30th Sep 2011, 05:01
Thank you for applying for the position of Direct Entry Rated Captains for Airbus A320. However, we regret to inform you that you have not met our minimum pre-selection criteria and as such, your application cannot be taken any further.

Your login name and password are now stored in our recruitment system. Should you wish to apply for a different vacancy, please ensure you login as an "Existing User".

Thank you for considering us as a potential employer and we wish you well in your future career endeavours.

The Gulf Air Recruitment Team

Pretty funny. I have 10k A320 series, 7k+ P1 A320 series, current Captain, and I did not meet their minimum? Ok. Whatever.

Remember Allah does have eyes in Bahrain!

Landflap
30th Sep 2011, 09:53
You have been saved. With that amount of experience, why on earth consider swopping lovely Florida for the Mid East. Pre-selection criteria for Gulfair is rigid & they might have questioned your judgemental capabilities. Stay cool, free & safe Dude; three elements you will not find in the ME.

flyboy320
30th Sep 2011, 10:11
Stay cool, free & safe Dude; three elements you will not find in the ME.

........one of the most memorable Quote I heard lately!

Thanks LF

showel
1st Oct 2011, 18:08
Any update from the pilot forum???:rolleyes: When are the 380 coming?:}

imnotwhoyouthinkiam
1st Oct 2011, 20:12
No need for an A380, they've just had two A340s back from lease, and they even managed to get them freshly painted, on the lessee's dime :ok: The GDN is reporting that if you add them up you get a 680, which is way cooler.

Alltheway
3rd Oct 2011, 08:31
Dear Colleagues,

I'm a Senior GCAA BBJ FO out of Dubai with an operator thats just ceased trading.

Could I possibly request an email address for Flight Operations department so I may send my details.

Any assistance truly appreciated.

Safe flights.

Che Guevara
3rd Oct 2011, 14:34
Careers with Gulf Air |English|Gulf Air (http://www.gulfaircareers.com)

I think that's what you need.

Alltheway
3rd Oct 2011, 14:42
Appreciate the link but no vacancies showing for BBJ.

As GulfAir have just the one 737 I was hoping to send my CV to Flt Ops or similar.

Anyone with an email address, truly appreciated.

Safe Flights.

John21UK
3rd Oct 2011, 15:53
It's a PrivatAir deal so I am almost certain than you would need to contact them. As far as I know it's an ACMI wet-lease deal between the two parties.

Alltheway
3rd Oct 2011, 17:01
Dear John,

Just applied to Privatair so appreciate the heads up. Upon checking the fleet the BBJ is not listed. On the off chance the BBJ Operation is something different could I possibly bother you for an GulfAir Flt Ops / Director of Ops email address please (I'll send one mail and no more).

Appreciate the lifeline.

Cheers.

Safe flights.

Che Guevara
3rd Oct 2011, 18:21
It's a wet lease from PrivateAir so they would be the ones to talk to.

Alltheway
3rd Oct 2011, 20:38
Appreciate the feedback.

Privatair Website is not listing a BBJ.

I've applied anyway but could it be another Corporate lease?

Thanks again Guys.

slowjet
3rd Oct 2011, 21:22
Alltheway, you appear dead keen to coax the email or direct link to a GF DFO, HOFO, CP or whatever title they go by these days. No-one seems forthcoming. Probably because GF management are here today & gone tomorrow. Che gave you the best advice. Go through HR via the careers/jobs site. You also appear keen to join GF rather than anything else. Type rated for GF Fleet is a preferred route but they are so desperate for jockeys you might get a look in anyway. The Privatair deal is also just that. It will not get you into GF. A wet lease means just that. It is Privatair air operating THEIR aircraft in GF colours on some sort of lease agreement. If you got into Privatair, you may not ever get on the GF TEMPORARY WET LEASE. So, that is NOT the route into GF.Sorry to note your current employment loss. Apply to everyone. Good luck.

SCATANA
4th Oct 2011, 07:34
@ rid3r,

The bottleneck is "Mr Bonus" or also known as the guy who wanted to "teach GF pilots a lesson".

samjetblaster
4th Oct 2011, 09:47
Who is Mr Bonus??Can you please clarify...amplified >>>.:confused:

Alltheway
4th Oct 2011, 10:27
Dear Slowjet,

Thanks for the advice. GF Careers section don't have openings for the BBJ.

I'm applying to ALL MENA carriers to hopefully put my GCAA ATPL to good use.

One month and waiting hence the request for any email for recruitment.

Application also made to Privatair but they don't list the BBJ on their fleet.

To name a few apps: Qatar, Ethiad, FD.

Che Guevara
4th Oct 2011, 11:19
Ah Mr. Bonus...
The irony of course is that it's the pilots doing the teaching here, as they simply stroll across to the neighbors leaving behind massive replacemant costs, both in monetary terms and otherwise. Could be an expensive lesson there Mr. Bonus, anyone can run a computer program, but not everyone can fly.

jackx123
4th Oct 2011, 12:07
remember about 15 years ago Gf used to be like this

and the flight engineer on 1011 had rusty nails on final approach

third edit now and can reminisce with wet floor but those were the days and only those who survived the battles of zanzibar etc (Gf) are privileged to remember

Kate Ryan - Ella, Elle l'a - YouTube

Chuck Y
6th Oct 2011, 05:54
So what happened to all the guys that said they are leaving? Haven't heard of any resignations for sometime. I guess it's just more hot air, as usual.

BOB 323
8th Oct 2011, 21:35
any news when A340s are retiring

MAKAVELI320
9th Oct 2011, 07:01
When the Crow have grey feather

Che Guevara
9th Oct 2011, 10:32
Waiting for course dates etc.

Chuck Y
10th Oct 2011, 08:02
Che, heard it all b4. People moan , people complain, people threaten, most people stay.

John21UK
10th Oct 2011, 14:43
What's this I heard about Electronic Flight Bags being introduced? Is it fleet wide and what product and when?

vfenext
10th Oct 2011, 14:57
EFB's? Might be a bit of a wait.
Gulf Air suffers 30% drop in passengers due to travel advisories | Aviation | AMEinfo.com (http://www.ameinfo.com/277471.html)

fly66
16th Oct 2011, 11:12
Can anybody tell me boe many hours per year a 320
Cpt flys?
Thanks

Alzandor
17th Oct 2011, 09:38
Hi Guys,

This question goes out to people currently working in Gulf Air. I am a 25yr old Bahraini with a bachelors degree and I am now planning on persueing a modular JAA fATPL in Greece. Here are my questions....

As a local do I stand a decent chance of getting a job in Gulf Air?

The course does not include JOC is this a must?

As a GCC citizen do we get preference for employment in most Arab airlines?

Really appreciate the feedback as I'm kinda worried that after all the money and effort I might end up jobless.

P.S. Can any1 PM me a contact in Gulf Air HR so I can get details on exactly what they require?:ok:

John21UK
19th Oct 2011, 10:59
Can anyone confirm how many aircraft will arrive in 2012? (and breakdown)

I believe 3 aircraft arrive before years end but what about 2012?

Cheers,

Albergineman
19th Oct 2011, 11:43
6 X A321LR

John21UK
19th Oct 2011, 15:26
Thanks. That confirms what I thought. Will be interesting to see whats going to be announced at the Bahrain airshow then! ;)

Albergineman
19th Oct 2011, 16:40
If it happens!

:E

John21UK
19th Oct 2011, 18:31
Inshallah...

Mephistopheles
26th Oct 2011, 19:35
What? Leaves being cancelled again. How much longer will this mismanagement go on? So I guess I will have a fun Nov/Dec rosters flying with disgruntled F/Os. Pefect for CRM.

buba
26th Oct 2011, 20:02
And disgruntled cabin crew. Alot hav had their leave canned without prior notice. But then again according to the mismanagement the numbers are right, we have enough.

Albergineman
27th Oct 2011, 03:12
Don't be surprised if some flying club members had their leaves untouched...

Sorry for those who are already flying an average of 90h/m with donkeys...

I' on my edge!

:*

ironbutt57
27th Oct 2011, 04:19
@ buba, actually they are painfully aware of the shrtage and taking steps to remedy the situation..(finally)

Chuck Y
27th Oct 2011, 08:00
ironbutt57, I am sure the are aware of the shortage but not "painfully" cos that's our job-to soak up the pain from all the poor managment decisions & lack of planning & that is all purely down to the one man show called Majali's travelling circus.

Albergineman
27th Oct 2011, 10:57
Although a very late decision, as usual, with the typical extreme measures, it will not prevent pilots from leaving since the system remains the same.
Issues like housing allowance, which is below standard for pilots and school allowance, among other contributing factors, such as rostering, will not be corrected. Actually, the COO at the last pilots forum, when inquired about said “… the market’s actually dropped so the actual housing allowance is more than enough…”.
We will see new faces around, but many are already resigning, new Captains with their training bond finishing at the middle of 2012 are looking for and finding better places to live and work, are an example.
Giving a “priority” for a SFI position for the “hard workers” will not compensate for the stress of having our family’s vacation plans disrupted without short notice and will keep them trapped inside a room or a simulator.
Imagine someone’s situation with his leave for beginning of November receiving an e-mail in 26th of October at 23:00h advising that his leave was cancelled without a suitable alternative?
Yeah, the sound remains the same…

Chuck Y
27th Oct 2011, 11:05
Albergineman, couldn't agree with you more. So if you ruin your family's life there is chance of getting into training! Wow, what a consolation for once again having to cancel a family holiday.
To make it even worse the COO, MCP & a host of other lackeys will all get a bonus for screwing us. Sounds fair, sounds exactly like GF has & will always be run.
Keep a look out for who still goes on leave.

WELCO
27th Oct 2011, 14:41
and taking steps to remedy the situation..(finally)

hmmm.. Is the management doing anything that I'm not aware of so far?!

Recruitment process is forgotten in a deep freezer while the list of resignations is getting bigger week after the other! This is insane!!!:ugh:

Che Guevara
27th Oct 2011, 15:54
What I find disturbing, is that absolutely no effort seems to be made, to entice people to stay. What is wrong with this picture?

How much does it cost to replace someone with a totally unknown quantity?

SCATANA
28th Oct 2011, 01:38
So, dangling the SFI carrot eh ??

Sorry sir, you bit me once over 10 yrs ago as HOFO. Now I'm twice as shy :=

surfer of desert
28th Oct 2011, 06:18
Herd yesterday GF will hire more pilots 140 to 150... I dont know WHERE they will get them :hmm: those are for the 14 acft for next year.... YES they are short :ok:

John21UK
28th Oct 2011, 06:35
Make that 168 pilots next year...

buba
28th Oct 2011, 09:33
Yeah, heard from a pilot up top they'l be needing about 160 jokeys nxt year to fill the resignations and crew the new aircraft.

Albergineman
28th Oct 2011, 09:59
Then on December, 27th, we will receive another e-mail cancelling all leaves for January and February...

:}

Milan
28th Oct 2011, 15:08
Hi Everyone

Im quite interested in joining GF on 320, rated etc. Can I please ask what is the actuall salary a new FO takes home? Also the housing allowance, is that enough for a descent place (say 1bd apt or similar).
I understand that the bond story for 320 newbies is pretty much confirmed, but is it deducted from the salary?
Also how frequently do these last moment leave cancellation occur - not ideal when planning your private life i guess...

Thanks!

Strangeday
28th Oct 2011, 15:49
"Dear Pilots,

I would like to extend my sincerest appreciation to all pilots for their hard work and dedication during the peak summer months and thereafter. Pilots were forced to give up their leave, their commitments to their families and some were asked to fly on days off in order to cover the shortage and continue the day to day operations of the airline. This kind of commitment is highly appreciated and will not go unnoticed".

So, as it didn´t go unnoticed, we will repeat the experience for November and December!

Thank you very much for the appreciation. Such a basic kind of introduction for a letter, seems to be written for kids.

"However, due to many contributory factors leading to the declining pilot numbers, we are forced to cancel pilots’ leaves"

Would you mind to enumerate which factors? Don´t worry we know better than you, but basically is a major luck of plannification, a poor managment with a null vision of what is going to happen in two weeks time.

All of a sudden: "We have a total of 32 training pilots on all the fleets and this number needs to be increased to 60" From one day to another they need to double the training pilots.

Of course, the prize for that effort: "Pilots who have dedicated their time and gone the extra mile to help the airline during this time of need will be considered for the selection process of training captains (SFI’s)".

Don´t worry guys, it would have been enough with a gold coin of chocolate.
The company is the one who has to help and support the pilots, it shouldn´t be the other way round, can you see that?

Always the same old story!

Mephistopheles
28th Oct 2011, 17:28
The s*** must really be hitting the fan, I've had so many missed calls from rostering that it's starting to get annoying. What with the cancelled leaves I am sure we can expect many disturbing calls from them. I guess managements continued screwing of pilots has not "and will not go unnoticed" and "due to many contributory factors" pilots will no longer go "the extra mile"

AeroForce
28th Oct 2011, 20:50
Hmmm history repeating itself... I refer to my earlier post and a certain persons gross incompetence in the rostering department!

AND I HOPE OUR SENIOR MANAGEMENT IS FINALLY GOING TO HOLD THIS SOMEONE ACCOUNTABLE!

However, WE as pilots are also responsible for this mess! Over the years we've developed a certain company "loyalty/attitude" where pilots consider it perfectly acceptable to have their annual leave cancelled, get harrased on days off/leave days to come to work and other abuses (to many to list).

We can all stop this abuse here and now: just say NO, it's that easy.
Having our leave cancelled due to incompetence from our crewing management is UNACCEPTABLE and if we do not solve the problem for them, then maybe finally someone is going to be held ACCOUNTABLE!
Oh and if we do accept this, then we indirectly pay for their bonus with our annual leave. Think about it.

P.S.: Don't forget to submit your leave bids for 2012... :D :ugh:
Hahahahahahahaha

Also they might have given a "few" more people the final little push they needed to go and look for greener pastures within an hour from BAH, making the boys at EK, EY and QR happy :ok:

Panama Jack
30th Oct 2011, 06:39
Also they might have given a "few" more people the final little push they needed to go and look for greener pastures within an hour from BAH, making the boys at EK, EY and QR happy

Just remember that if you choose to go to "Teahid" you will have to adapt and learn not to post on PPRuNe. ;)

Mephistopheles
31st Oct 2011, 10:29
So how many volunteers do we have willing for fly on their days off or cancel their leaves(or it will be cancelled for you!) in Dec? Not many I would imagine;not with the way we, as a group, have been treated.
What would be nice & probably bordering professional is that if those responsible for the mess we are in are held accountable-but thats just a dream.

Panama Jack
1st Nov 2011, 04:40
At least they are asking. A leave day means different things to different people. Now if only we had a way to quantify what certain day off requests mean to people.

a350_b787
2nd Nov 2011, 16:43
We're now doing cabin modification of GF 320's in Abu Dhabi (Installing Recaro seats with Panasonic IFE's :O

John21UK
2nd Nov 2011, 17:31
Good news about expansion but awful timings for us crew. Not even a 'proper' nightsplit.

Che Guevara
2nd Nov 2011, 20:24
Small point, but I wonder if anybody has thought just exactly how they are going to crew these new and interesring destinations.

Albergineman
2nd Nov 2011, 21:26
That's easy Che Guevara! Canceling all pilot's leave and calling on days off...

:{

Panama Jack
3rd Nov 2011, 04:49
Small point, but I wonder if anybody has thought just exactly how they are going to crew these new and interesring destinations.

Good point, and it will be interesting to watch. The numbers they seem to say they need to recruit is significant and how they will meet and process that number, while maintaining quality, will be no small feat.

On the plus side, 2012 should also be interesting with more destinations being rolled out, including some which most crews would consider attractive. Of course, I expect the usual contributors to find fault with something here on this thread. Stay tuned, folks.

tavo16
3rd Nov 2011, 06:41
Is Gulf Air hiring E190 DEC?

John21UK
3rd Nov 2011, 07:08
I believe they still do. The vacancy is still on their website and closed 31-DEC.

ssflyer
3rd Nov 2011, 13:45
I last read that the Falcon Gold seating refurb for both FG cabins would be completed by end October.
Did this happen, and if not,any idea when?

buba
4th Nov 2011, 01:58
Currently KJ fitted with live stream tv/internet is just doin jed, dac and khi runs..???