PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

Fly4Fun
23rd Nov 2015, 22:17
Heard through a colleague, who was looking at GF as an option that pilots are leaving due to poor T&C being the rosters one the main reasons due to minimum rest between flights. He said the situation is serious because they cannot attract candidates with enough experience to fill the gaps. He also told us that, hopefully, GF is recovering under a strong reorganization and preparing to expand again. If true, how is GF dealing with the shortage of crews?

Thanks.

slowjet
28th Nov 2015, 16:44
"Strong re-organization" ??? Do you mean same old clowns playing Pass the parcel, or, musical chairs ?? Strong re-organization means ridding the company of clowns with connections. Ridding the company of "Wasta" ( sorry, that is what 'Clowns with connections' means !). Ridding the company of grossly inept & incompetent management. Here's the biggie, ridding the company of historical & inbred corruption. Ridding the company of Parliamentary, incompetent, meddling. Now, that's what I call "Strong re-organization". You will not be seeing any of this in GF for a long time.

Fly4Fun
29th Nov 2015, 13:00
Well, my colleague told me that he asked what to expect from GF and from that day silence. Strange indeed...

kuksinhyd
17th Dec 2015, 11:57
Hi All,

Could someone please throw some light on the present T&C's and the screening process for DEC.

Thanks

slowjet
18th Dec 2015, 09:48
oooooh us "commercial pilots" ! Dangle a fat wallet in front of us and we just keep lining up !

Luibar
9th Jan 2016, 15:16
Hi, is Gulfair going ahead with the plans to make na order of 50 aircraft from Airbus? Expansion in sight?

ExDubai
9th Jan 2016, 15:28
Hi, is Gulfair going ahead with the plans to make na order of 50 aircraft from Airbus? Expansion in sight?
Gulf is a dead horse, for what reason should they order 50 Aircraft?

Luibar
9th Jan 2016, 17:01
I read it on Arabian Business. Gulf Air in final talks to order 50 aircrafts. Thats it. It said they wont´t disclose the manufacturer. Scroll some lines down and it mention that the information minister refer to 50 Airbus aircraft...

PanAmFalcon
12th Jan 2016, 13:48
The Orders seem like they are too good to be true. As for now they have 20 320 neos on order and 16 787s. Since they already have started training engineers for the 787 and already maintain KLM's 787 on the Bahrain sector , I don't think they will back out for once. 50 more possible airbus order sounds too good to be true but from what I heard it was to connect Bahrain to major cities around the world since the Oil dependent country needs foreign investments; the only way that can be done is getting the island easy to access. Hence,there are hardly any visa restrictions on the island as well. That is why it is possibly true but I don't suppose they can be all 320s ,can they? probably a mixture of 321neo and airbus 350s.

Sounds like some good news but the management would remain the same :ugh: Unless those 50 aircraft comes with a free competent CEO.:D

South Prince
17th Jan 2016, 08:20
Can't and do not want to comment on CEO and overall Airline's Strategy but a good and competent Crew Planning will solve problems such as fatigue and frustration by crews. Unfortunately very few "Industries" believe that a moderately happy employee is of a great benefit to the "Industry" first of all.

ironbutt57
17th Jan 2016, 08:29
320 nEO's to replace current aircraft...crew planning...well to plan crewing, first one has to have enough crew...that particular department has time and time again, been handed a shovel and told to widen the Panama canal...its all reactive to day-to-day changes...I dare anybody who can't understand this to just pop in and watch for a day or two, and show them how to do it properly..

Gordomac
17th Jan 2016, 11:10
In the B767 glory days, NS came back from Emirates and took over a dwindling fleet. Guys above him could not assist him with straight answers. He exclaimed over tea & biscuits (I was in trouble, again, for something trivial), "Tell me how many aircraft I have and I'll tell you how many pilots I need". Dead simple but it never, really, was THAT simple in GF. One factor in a very complex case but with the predictable and sad results of today's fallen falcon.

Luibar
17th Jan 2016, 22:49
Have been doing a search on the T&C on offer from GF but all I found regarding basic conditions, especially in PPJN, is information from 2007. There have been any pay increase since then? With all this shortage of qualified and experienced pilots it is hard to believe that they didn’t improve or at least updated the package to be in line with other players in ME. I understand that GF is not QR or EK but something must have be done to try to stop pilots from leaving.

Sandy Boots
29th Jan 2016, 11:11
The acting CEO of Gulf Air, Maher Salman Al Musallam, has tendered his resignation, the airline has confirmed.

ATWOnline | Air Transport World (http://atwonline.com)

:rolleyes:

Landflap
29th Jan 2016, 13:50
Once again, GF left without someone at the helm. Has this airline got the worst record for CEO turnover ? Everyone in that seat not given the proper authority (stand-alone authority) to run the ship. Time to put all the twerps in Parliament in charge (they like to think they are anyway) and call them joint CEOs' ! No hope for the fallen bird unless someone wises up & is given the wherewithal to embark on decisive leadership & control.

Gordomac
2nd Feb 2016, 10:44
LF, the "fallen bird" is in a spin. I always found spin recovery easy :
Opposite rudder....................stops the spin. (get it ? All you Management degree chaps we sponsored . See the correlation ?
Ease out of the dive............... That's the good bit.
Power up.............................. That's the restoration of stability.

Ok, when do I start ? Need an Office with all comms and a pretty Secretary (preferably Female).

Read in one publication that Maher Salman was CEO. Ok, not THAT one then. GF would have recovered under his style.

PanAmFalcon
2nd Feb 2016, 15:18
The Maher Man was put into place to just talk to the parliament and was the acting CEO for years. I do not think that he had a role to play in anything rather than to sign on the dotted line and receive commission. Him departing indicates that someone has stepped up to be the CEO of the ailing airline. The 787-9 will be with GF by late 2018 (will be delivered till 2023 :S ) and there is no turning back for the 2018 delivery at this point. So that is some good news.

slowjet
4th Feb 2016, 10:48
Looks like Gordo has stepped up ! Seriously, Pan Am, nice to read positive stuff for a change.

PanAmFalcon
12th Feb 2016, 15:58
Always a pleasure slowjet . The only complaint I have with gulf air now is that changes like this one should have been made years ago. A lot of people are excited to see some new wide body jet join gf now. We haven't seen anything WOW worthy since when the 777-300 arrived for a short time. Shame to see such low morals.

Luibar
19th Feb 2016, 17:32
Can Gulf Air become the fourth big player in the GCC? - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/can-gulf-air-become-fourth-big-player-in-gcc--622203.html)

Would be interesting.

ironbutt57
20th Feb 2016, 05:45
And he resigned...

PanAmFalcon
22nd Feb 2016, 06:14
lolol not in the next decade they won't unless Prince Waleed buys off 50% of GF

volare_737
24th Feb 2016, 02:06
Hi all. Can anybody help out with the latest salary package at Golf Air.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!!!

320goat
24th Feb 2016, 04:42
The salary is below par for that region and they have a fair_way to go until they match other carriers:}

Luibar
24th Feb 2016, 20:51
Well, until recently as a Captain you could expect BD 4,500 per month on average (second hand information). Don´t know if there was any increase on salary though.

slowjet
25th Feb 2016, 14:58
320 ! Beat me to it. I heard salary unchanged but free membership to all private clubs !................er clubs ?..............somebody stop me !

ironbutt57
25th Feb 2016, 16:31
There was a salary increase effective NOV 1st, 2015...most cats have seen a 5-600bd increase on the average roster flt hours...

BLSA
25th Feb 2016, 19:20
On average you r looking at 5.5-6kBD all in

Luibar
25th Feb 2016, 20:57
At least it's getting close to the offers around ME.

volare_737
26th Feb 2016, 03:49
Thanks guys. BLSA - out of the 6K do you have to pay your own housing or would that be extra ?

ironbutt57
26th Feb 2016, 05:50
"all in" means everything included...including housing...

Airmann
26th Feb 2016, 06:13
"all in" means everything included...including housing...

The only plus side is that living Bahrain is a good 10-15% cheaper for daily expenses and around 20-40% for rent over the UAE or Qatar.

BLSA
26th Feb 2016, 13:55
Housing included in that amount, 700 or 750 they give, can not remember.

Luibar
26th Feb 2016, 23:55
It used to be 700bd for married Captain. Maybe it increased as well.

BLSA
28th Feb 2016, 09:36
Housing and schooling are the same as 10 years back:}:}:}

Luibar
28th Feb 2016, 13:53
Will GF stop or reduce the amount of resignations with the pay rise? No review on housing and school allowances for 10 years...

Luibar
29th Feb 2016, 21:27
A safety department that does not see FDM as punishment tool is a plus.
It´s indeed a shame the inability of the company to cope with those situations.

mauro delpiero
12th Mar 2016, 04:53
I heard this from two different individuals, so decided to do a little research. Is this going to affect other gcc countries just like the increase in fuel prices and subsidy cuts? Looks like Expats who work for any organization that is 50 percent or more government owned in oman will start losing their housing allowances, schools feels etc.

Times Of Oman :: Expats in Oman weigh future amid move to cut staff benefits (http://timesofoman.com/article/78203/Oman/Government/Expatriate-workers-in-Oman-are-in-a-fix-over-the-possibility-of-benefits-withdrawal)

Luibar
12th Mar 2016, 17:43
Well, if they all go that way I really don´t how the airlines will crew their planes. Even with the allowances in place people are leaving.

Just_landed
14th Jul 2016, 10:02
hi people, just a quick query, especially for GF oldies but still open for all views.
Any insight would be appreciated.

I am right now working in my home country paying about 35% taxes, airline is very smart in running and has been posting continuous profits year after year, but its more of a dictatorship environment here. Doors are open for problems, ideas, yada..yada...but its just a illusion to let people keep thinking that they are heard. Safety record till date has been shining clear except for some incidents and turnbacks but all in all, average pilot age and experience in the airline is very less. Given this in view, safety and training standards are really low. Cabin crew are in direct touch with President of the airline as he thinks they are the face of the airline & if I am not exaggerating it, probably some under the table "exchange" is also happening between the genders. Airport commercial staff is given way too much powers as the big boss thinks they are ones running the actual show and we are there just to press couple of buttons and reap a fat paycheck, hence they start autoboarding, tell us when to go, when to wait etc. Right from my reporting time at the airport to door close, everything is recorded by some odd staff somewhere along the way and the report is sent by the commercial staff, and since they are being granted the veto powers, their version of the story is the only version when the call from the mountains come. AMEs are not to take any decision by themselves for any MEL invoking or revoking, its all centrally coordinated (or dictated), pilots are not to take any decision (but most of us still take it under the PICs authority for disposal of the aircraft). Rostering is handled by commercial clerks who probably haven't even sat as a passenger for once in the aircraft beyond 2-3 hrs at length for a fancy short local holiday sector and they teach FDTL based on "system". Its a one way command channel from rostering to pilots and cabin crew, return line is always clogged...so no use trying it. cockpit-cabin interactions are restricted to SOPs and exigencies, no good friendly interaction beyond that at all. In-fact cabin crew is officially trained in the ground school not to interact with pilots beyond the duty's call. Very suffocating environment thinking that as a PIC, you dont think a LRBL is needed for a tiny mobile phone found in some seat pocket which has already been used to receive a call by the following passenger, but the cabin crew think their SOP demands one to be made so they make it beyond PICs authority and the best part is, company supports them with all the applause and congratulations for doing the right thing... at door open and capt receives just a mail hours later to file a report, thats it.

All in all, this is what my current airline is, now comes the query.

I just want to leave and save that 35% tax for some quick corpus building and loan shedding years, if I am to work under dictatorship environment (one way-no 'you help me, i help you' kinda thing), Is GF a place which could suffice my requirement? I am currently 320 capt qualifying GF requirements, getting 8500 usd/month taxed at 35%, married no kids, looking at atleast 3-5 years of stagnant (no promotions) non-jumping job. most up-to-date salary and increments info would be much appreciated.

I have read posts in this thread from 2013 onwards, so I am quite aware about the company's recent history and track records.

squarecrow
15th Jul 2016, 04:47
I second that olbie, Roster and leave are main Problem I hear. Leave has just being cancelled again?. Roster can go 7 days in a row before day off apparently as example to what olbie says. I also hear they need Captains for 320.

Gordomac
15th Jul 2016, 10:07
"Just Landed" ; your current job sounds just like GF. .............just kidding ! The "olbies" served some 30 odd years. I did 17. Can't be that bad. In the ME, THE best place to live. Fabbo people. Get in, do the job , sign the tech log & get down to the Rock'n'zee bar !

Gordomac
16th Jul 2016, 10:13
apologies Olbie. I was referring to "Justlanded's" 'GF Oldies'. Many in that group served over 30 years & some even retired to Bahrain. Even when I hit severe bother with my boss, I STILL wanted to stay ! Coming up to 900 hrs in my inflatable boat as I bob up & down my pool ; far less stressful.

Just_landed
17th Jul 2016, 08:46
Thank you guys. All insight much appreciated. Cheers!

PanAmFalcon
12th Aug 2016, 06:35
Just wondering, how r the crew meals in gf ? seeing what they feed the passengers on a few of my flights with them , I couldnt help but wonder what they have left for the crew lol

BLSA
31st Aug 2016, 10:26
Very few crew eat it:}:}:mad: they're planning on changing it soon inshallah :E

iamanaussiemavrick
31st Aug 2016, 17:58
Are there chances of getting upgrade to wide body if u join in narrow body as captain ?

BLSA
1st Sep 2016, 07:17
Half of the cpt already in do not have a chance for wide body for next decade :)))

greg47
2nd Sep 2016, 01:42
love to know where and get in touch with Yaquoob Alaskari, Suhail Ismael,Ismael Abdullah and Isa Abdullah older Gulf air pilots.
cheers greg47

tony the jesus
19th Sep 2016, 11:49
Hi,

Do you know if a valid A320 type rating with no recent experience on type is acceptable for DEC at Gulf Air?
Although not current on the A320 I have PIC hours on type.

Thanks.

Landflap
20th Sep 2016, 10:11
Tony, would you not do better by writing to them direct ? These sort of issues change according to wind direction & GF is no different to all the rest. You night also experience being selected under one set of conditions but being offered a completely different contract before joining. To use modern parlance, it is what it is .

tony the jesus
20th Sep 2016, 10:39
Olbie, thank you for the short and direct answer :ok:

Landflap, I did write to them. Still waiting for a reply. Thanks for your input :ok:

South Prince
20th Sep 2016, 13:39
You certainly need to be current on type; flight recency is a different story.

tony the jesus
21st Sep 2016, 16:31
Maybe I wasn´t clear on my post, my question is if being current on the A320 although with no recent experience on type, is enough to apply as DEC? I have PIC time on the A320 but my last flight was almost 8 years ago.

Thanks.

Gordomac
23rd Sep 2016, 10:12
Crikey chaps ! Isn't "Current on type " meaning you are, er, current on type ? You know, "currently" flying the type. Tony, if you were type rated & current 8 years ago, sadly, you are not current on type. Some operators declare "Must be current on type", that does, clearly mean that you are currently flying the type. A "Type Rating" can be on your licence years after you ceased flying that type. It would require a Comp ex to validate that rating to "valid type rating". So, you can wind up with a valid type rating but not current on that type. Crumbs, glad I stayed clear of admin jobs offered to me in the past ! I am currently type rated and "recent" on my Lidle's inflatable with five years home pool experience................awaiting the adverts in the back of Flight Mag !

Luibar
23rd Sep 2016, 11:39
GF should be doing great in recruiting rated Captains since they, apparently, don't give up on the currency on type.

tony the jesus
23rd Sep 2016, 13:18
Thanks to all for your replies. Unfortunately I'll have to wait to be current again on the A320 or look forward to another gig.

Luibar
26th Sep 2016, 11:16
A few days ago I met a guy, at the simulator centre, that is expecting to join Flydubai soon. He said that he has also applied to Gulf Air but picked Flydubai instead even tough is going as non rated. I wonder if Flydubai has improved that much or is Gulf Air that is quite behind the other players regarding conditions.

High Energy
26th Sep 2016, 13:52
A few days ago I met a guy, at the simulator centre, that is expecting to join Flydubai soon. He said that he has also applied to Gulf Air but picked Flydubai instead even tough is going as non rated. I wonder if Flydubai has improved that much or is Gulf Air that is quite behind the other players regarding conditions.

I have worked for both and both have good and bad bits. I guess it comes down to more personal/location/career view options. I know I'd pick the A320 over the 737 due to the comfort it brings and I think I'd pick flydubai over Gulf Air. What I miss from Gulf Air is their stafftravel options and living at Amwaj.

I don't think flydubai has improved that much regarding term/conditions. A lot of work needs to be done there to bring it in line with the rest of the UAE players. But things are improving, be it slowly.

Luibar
11th Oct 2016, 08:54
Any news/update on Gulf Air pending order for the Bombardier CSeries?
According to news from Bahrain airshow in January this year GF was to have a decision by mid 2016.

BLSA
12th Oct 2016, 18:15
Those CSeries went to SaudiGulf as a package with a CEO:O:O:O

PanAmFalcon
14th Oct 2016, 05:48
The orders are still under gf's name and they have been trying to get rid of it but majali has tied the knot pretty tight.not sure saudi gulf needs it yet because they havent been granted permission to fly yet. They have 320's stored away waiting to take flight maybe this november? lol

Just_landed
17th Jan 2017, 12:10
hello people, I am unable to upload my CV on the job application page, which meets all the specs of the requirement (file type & size), hence I am stuck at page 1 (CV only) of application and the rest of the attachments are still too far to be uploaded. I tried 3 difference browsers at different times and different days, but none has worked so far. Somebody please guide me as to how to put my application across. Is it some third party way only or their website is having some technical glitch?

Just_landed
17th Jan 2017, 12:26
And the latest Salary figure (preferably with a detailed breakup) for a new joinee 320 capt would be much appreciated too.

Gordomac
23rd Feb 2017, 11:18
Oh C'mon AMN. It's not that bad ! Just seen a photo of Khareem (C/A), used to be my neighbour in Juffair, looking the same as he was 25 years ago, surrounded by GF chicks in pink uniforms. Did GF change to pink or was it just another wild Khareem party ? Looked fabbo anyweay !

ironbutt57
24th Feb 2017, 04:24
thats because the photo WAS 25 years ago Gordo

thegypsy
24th Feb 2017, 09:34
ironbutts

Gordo keeps hitting his head on his small swimming pool when he dives in. Should have stayed in past company as he would have ended up in BA with huge pension.:{

Gordomac
24th Feb 2017, 14:35
IRONBUTT57 ! Ha ! I was never much good at thinking "outside" of the box......if you know what I mean.......and, I think, one of the chicks in pink was me ! Kareem really did hold the best afterlanding parties. Cripes. Where has 25 years gone ? Oh & thanks also to Gipsey. And here's me thinking size didn't matter. Boo hoo !

PanAmFalcon
30th Jul 2017, 13:50
Any word on who might the next CEO be ? Could be interesting to know who it would be as the airline that shall not be named will be doing major restructuring and another one less airline to compete with in the saudi market .

Gordomac
31st Jul 2017, 10:46
Pan Am : Using up the last of my "FIRM, FOC" (.....NOT......), went to BAH and tried to volunteer for the job but couldn't get past the Laundry. Told Security I was volunteering for the CEO job and you could hear the laughter in Amwaj. Rotters !

I will try again next year with my final "FIRM" (....N O T .......) FOC retirement gift (gift taken away, then re-instated but of reduced terms ). My first task , next year, will be to remove BAS from any staff travel connection with GF. Awful enduring being treated like an ID100 sub-loader and being laughed at when proclaiming "firm-FOC" status ! Oooooooh, it was ghastly. Reminded me of the many bad memories & spoiled my trip completely.

Second task will be to remove corruption and disassociate from Parliament. Now that will be the real challenge. Like Hollywood's Arnold, I told my mate in Security : "I'll be back !"

parabellum
1st Aug 2017, 00:01
Paxing to LHR for simulator one day I was told at check-in that First was full with revenue pax and 'very senior staff'! I was put in business class at the last minute, having been told by BAS to 'expect economy'. Boarded aircraft and the first people I see sitting in First are one BAS load sheet clerk and one from catering, going to the UK on useless but expensive courses, (so it transpired), declined my business class seat and spoke to A). The captain, a Bahraini and B). The BAS senior who came on board at the Captains request. End result seat 2a to LHR, great trip! :)

am currently type rated and "recent" on my Lidle's inflatable with five years home pool experience

Gordo, surely this qualifies you to be an SEP instructor (water) and to spend your days bobbing up and down on the swimming pool in BAH training all the young CC?;)

PanAmFalcon
2nd Aug 2017, 10:01
lol Gordo! BAS really needs a lot of major changes . The disaster during the fog season in Bahrain was an example of how unqualified most of them are. Try volunteering again and promises raises to the management , that should do the trick ! But I guess Waleed Abdul hameed al Alawi beat you to it .

Gordomac
11th Aug 2017, 10:32
Cheers PanAm. When I heard that Mahar Salman was taking over as CEO I sent a warm, explicit, naughty, full of memories type of congrats to my ole buddy Mahar only to find out it was a different guy altogether ! Oooooops. Nearly did the same again. Thought the new guy was Hameed, ex 767 Boss, went to QR in 2008 ! Naughty, ok, quite filthy, loadsa jokes & fond memories letter at the ready but. despite your PM, not the same guy at all! New CEO is similar name but not the same guy. OOOOOps ! Came within inches of really offending, probably, a really nice guy.

Thanks all. Staying in the pool. New Lidle's inflatable type rating renewal due!

777boyo
12th Aug 2017, 07:37
Pan Am.......assuming your reference to Mr Waleed A H al Alawi refers to a newly appointed CEO? Is this the same chap who was a 737/767 Captain in the early 90's and whose late father (Mr Hameed al Alawi, an absolute gentleman) was Manager Inflight Services (or similar title) in the early 80's?
7B

slowjet
12th Aug 2017, 10:35
777BOYO ; tread careful. Look at the mess Gordo nearly got dropped into ! Unwittingly, of course. Place is littered with similar names and similar backgrounds.

PanAmFalcon
22nd Oct 2017, 01:55
so word on the street is that a new expansionist Croatian CEO is headed to gf

Landflap
22nd Oct 2017, 10:59
What happened to Al Alawi ? Revolving door is spinning so fast, no-one can actually get in ! Absolute joke. At the same time, somewhat tragic.

Luibar
13th Nov 2017, 21:15
so word on the street is that a new expansionist Croatian CEO is headed to gf

It's official now...

BLSA
14th Nov 2017, 03:14
Read online that this guy turned around Croatian Airlines, by selling LHR slots, ordering new aircrafts and left:))) Sounds familiar???:)))))

PanAmFalcon
14th Nov 2017, 16:27
Well Croatian airline had an increase in passenger and profit recently in the competitive European market. I don’t think anyone could allow him to sell the lhr slot in gf.

bluebirde2000
12th Jan 2018, 16:58
Where did the CCO Ahmed Janahi go?? Anyone know anything about that??

BLSA
14th Jan 2018, 09:06
Where did the CCO Ahmed Janahi go?? Anyone know anything about that??

Heard that he was asked to leave:E

CALLE13
14th Jan 2018, 09:44
Any news on the 787's?

Any hiring expected for this fleet?

Basil
14th Jan 2018, 09:52
Paxing to LHR for simulator one day I was told at check-in that First was full with revenue pax and 'very senior staff'! I was put in business class at the last minute, having been told by BAS to 'expect economy'. Boarded aircraft and the first people I see sitting in First are one BAS load sheet clerk and one from catering, going to the UK on useless but expensive courses, (so it transpired), declined my business class seat and spoke to A). The captain, a Bahraini and B). The BAS senior who came on board at the Captains request. End result seat 2a to LHR, great trip! :)
I flew for GF for four years but, years later, when flying for a UK company, we checked in to pax BAH-LHR on our company flight.
The FO and I were given either Business or Economy boarding cards (can't recollect which).
We went straight to the gate and observed several BASmates given upgrades to F.
I strolled over to the desk, removed the boarding card from the agent's hand and asked what was going on.
Cue senior chap arriving all smiles and our boarding cards agreeably altered. :ok:

Landflap
14th Jan 2018, 10:05
CALLE13 ; I suspect "wasta" rules will determine who goes where if they take delivery. Guys still there because they have nowhere else to go are getting excited though.

BASIL: at least you got your upgrade after a fight. Same old with senior management incapable or couldn't care less to change. Or, unable because of the "wasta" referred to in para one.

I know Gordomac very well. He was so disappointed with his treatment ( no reply from Staff Travel) that he is not bothering with this year's final entitlement. Well, one soon relies that it is not an entitlement. Free, Firm ? What a larf. Subload to BAS as usual . Do GF care ? Of course not. Hands tied & couldn't care anyway.

Gordo, apologies for speaking of your experience.

Gordomac
14th Jan 2018, 14:16
It's ok LF. Blimey, nice to see bods still mentioning me ! After being booted out of GF by the stitch-up of all time , (rather clever, actually) , I have enjoyed annual visits using my GF retirement gift to fantasy island. Ditched this year's firm ticket in the bin as you know. Prefer HONESTLY , FIRM, economy, EK to OZ. Holding on to warm experiences, though. Cheers all.

Tamii
18th Mar 2019, 08:56
hi everybody
i was thinking about applying to gulf air as a cabin crew. Can you give some advice about whether i should apply or not and why and did they make some changes?

PanAmFalcon
18th Mar 2019, 23:05
hi everybody
i was thinking about applying to gulf air as a cabin crew. Can you give some advice about whether i should apply or not and why and did they make some changes?
decent work life balance. Although the pay is not as good as the competitors, living in Bahrain is relatively cheaper..Great hotels for stop overs. It has not changed so much over the years.

Tamii
21st Mar 2019, 11:04
Thank youuu. I was just thinking about it or maybe qatar?

PanAmFalcon
21st Mar 2019, 20:35
Thank youuu. I was just thinking about it or maybe qatar?
QR is a fairly decent place to work at now. Qatar itself is not my favorite country, QR would be by far better than GF. But the quality in life of cabin crew in Bah is a lot better.

Tamii
22nd Mar 2019, 10:26
Really how come?

Landflap
23rd Mar 2019, 09:55
PanAm ; careful. If you are in BAH, saying anything nice about QR could land you in deep poo. Tamii might just be a troll from the CID !

Tango23
25th Mar 2019, 11:47
hi everybody

I'd say now is not a good time to join as cabin crew

The reason is the rosters are crazy and I mean it, putting you in a lot of pressure with inadequate rest with very limited nightstops it's been like that since about a year and sadly it's not likely to improve in the near future

Other than that it's a friendly environment and the country is the second best in the gulf for expats after the UAE

Tamii
25th Mar 2019, 14:43
Haha thanks

PanAmFalcon
29th Mar 2019, 15:47
right now gf is recruiting in Orlando 787 FO. Wonder how that is going

Landflap
13th Sep 2019, 09:34
Dr Jaffer ; GF Head of Medical Dept: Note from posts on other subject that it looks as though he passed in July. If correct. RIP indeed. Had my joining medical with him but I moved on before the next one was due. That was when the Medical HQ was in a converted house near the Brit club (I think). Many of you will remember the location and the Dr himself.

ironbutt57
13th Sep 2019, 13:06

The reason is the rosters are crazy and I mean it, putting you in a lot of pressure with inadequate rest with very limited nightstops it's been like that since about a year and sadly it's not likely to improve in the near future

Other than that it's a friendly environment and the country is the second best in the gulf for expats after the UAE

hmmm never heard of a rape VICTIM going to prison, or husband n wife being harassed by the cops for holding hands...nope not in Bahrain...

TCAS FAN
13th Sep 2019, 13:09

IMHO third best place after Oman & UAE.

CDRW
13th Sep 2019, 13:24
Dr Jaffer ; GF Head of Medical Dept: Note from posts on other subject that it looks as though he passed in July. If correct. RIP indeed. Had my joining medical with him but I moved on before the next one was due. That was when the Medical HQ was in a converted house near the Brit club (I think). Many of you will remember the location and the Dr himself.

oh yes.. remember that well! As I do with the "IOC" at the time thinking how on Gs earth can this Golden Falcon airline operate from a ragtag bunch of containers slapped together!
But operate it did. Seem to remember some guy called Tim being in rostering or such. A numbers man I believe. He moved to a fledgling airline in Dubai.
Apologies to thread drift!

ironbutt57
14th Sep 2019, 01:09
oh yes.. remember that well! As I do with the "IOC" at the time thinking how on Gs earth can this Golden Falcon airline operate from a ragtag bunch of containers slapped together!
But operate it did. Seem to remember some guy called Tim being in rostering or such. A numbers man I believe. He moved to a fledgling airline in Dubai.
Apologies to thread drift!

fond memories of the old GF "headquarters" (what a dump!)...I was shocked first time I went, still some bits and pieces of the airline there, uniform stores etc...etc...

Gordomac
14th Sep 2019, 09:57
Oh stop it you lot. Eyes filling up at the thought. Funny how the "in" gate was always open but the "out" gate was checked. Maybe I was driving on the wrong side. But, yes indeed, fond memories and RIP Dr Jaff. He also did my initial med where I scaled in at 82kg. Year later I was 92kg and he warned that if I were Cabin Crew, he would put me on the "Fat List". I switched to Dr Nader where slow, steady weight gain was of no concern !

Phantom Driver
14th Sep 2019, 22:56
fond memories of the old GF "headquarters" (what a dump!)...I was shocked first time I went, still some bits and pieces of the airline there, uniform stores etc...etc...
A bit like the old QR ops before the move to the new airport . Prefab (seco) huts in abundance in a very cramped area . Car parking was a real challenge requiring some creative thinking .. But nevertheless an amazingly efficient operation for what was then an already huge fleet .

(p.s R.I.P Doc J ; a great guy )

ironbutt57
15th Sep 2019, 00:51
A bit like the old QR ops before the move to the new airport . Prefab (seco) huts in abundance in a very cramped area . Car parking was a real challenge requiring some creative thinking .. But nevertheless an amazingly efficient operation for what was then an already huge fleet .

(p.s R.I.P Doc J ; a great guy )

nobody ever accused Gulf Air of being an "efficient operation"....for decades it was a job fair for brothers cousins and uncles...the pilot side of things worked well, but the rest...well...typical "Tennessee phonebook" (5 inches thick with 3 family names)

Phantom Driver
15th Sep 2019, 20:12
nobody ever accused Gulf Air of being an "efficient operation"....for decades it was a job fair for brothers cousins and uncles...the pilot side of things worked well, but the rest...well...typical "Tennessee phonebook" (5 inches thick with 3 family names)

Was talking about QR ( Qatar ) , by comparison FAR more efficient than GF . Hopefully things are much better these days ops wise at the Golden Falcon . Of course , no comparison between life in Bahrain and Doha .

ironbutt57
16th Sep 2019, 00:41
after passing the selection at QR, I went and spent a week there....no thanks....guess if one never lived anywhere else in the GCC it's ok, but after being spoiled by Bahrain life it would be a bitter pill to swallow..

Phantom Driver
16th Sep 2019, 19:36
after passing the selection at QR, I went and spent a week there....no thanks....guess if one never lived anywhere else in the GCC it's ok, but after being spoiled by Bahrain life it would be a bitter pill to swallow..

Should have done like others ; get your Bahrain residency and commute . At one time there were 6 daily QR flights between DOH-BAH ( and 2 GF ) . Sadly those days are long gone .

ironbutt57
17th Sep 2019, 03:18
Should have done like others ; get your Bahrain residency and commute . At one time there were 6 daily QR flights between DOH-BAH ( and 2 GF ) . Sadly those days are long gone .

no thanks, too much work just to fly a bigger airplane, and now as you mentioned the commuters must go via Kuwait or Muscat...

PanAmFalcon
18th Sep 2019, 23:35
just read a paying pax got reseated on a flight from lhr to bah to a jump seat because a certain staff's family wanted a seat on a full plane

ironbutt57
19th Sep 2019, 00:47
just read a paying pax got reseated on a flight from lhr to bah to a jump seat because a certain staff's family wanted a seat on a full plane

where did you read that?? the OMA used to specify at the Captain's discretion, another GF pilot, cabin crew, or adult member of an operating cabin crew's family.... it did get abused by ground staff if the Captain was unaware of whats going on in the back....I had outstations putting pax in wheelchairs on the jumpseats, pax with crutches, children, don't believe the cabin crew will know what's allowed or not either...they had happily seated the paraplegic in the jumpseat when I noticed by pure happenstance...after that I always queried pre-boarding if there were any jumpseaters presented by ground staff...in Mumbai the ground staff were telling local cabin crew the Captain had denied their request...shaking the girls down for whiskey or money..one dispatcher in AUH requested a jumpseat for his non airline buddy to TRV...I denied on basis of the OMA...sure enough as the last pax were boarding here shows up a jumpseater...yes he was the buddy...and..he tells me.."well anyway you cant put me off now because I have a checked bag and you will delay the flight to remove it"...flight delayed...bag and jumpseater removed....there was more than one abusive ground staff who got denied jumpseats on my flights...

PanAmFalcon
19th Sep 2019, 01:08
where did you read that?? the OMA used to specify at the Captain's discretion, another GF pilot, cabin crew, or adult member of an operating cabin crew's family.... it did get abused by ground staff if the Captain was unaware of whats going on in the back....I had outstations putting pax in wheelchairs on the jumpseats, pax with crutches, children, don't believe the cabin crew will know what's allowed or not either...they had happily seated the paraplegic in the jumpseat when I noticed by pure happenstance...after that I always queried pre-boarding if there were any jumpseaters presented by ground staff...in Mumbai the ground staff were telling local cabin crew the Captain had denied their request...shaking the girls down for whiskey or money..one dispatcher in AUH requested a jumpseat for his non airline buddy to TRV...I denied on basis of the OMA...sure enough as the last pax were boarding here shows up a jumpseater...yes he was the buddy...and..he tells me.."well anyway you cant put me off now because I have a checked bag and you will delay the flight to remove it"...flight delayed...bag and jumpseater removed....there was more than one abusive ground staff who got denied jumpseats on my flights...

recently spoke to the chap online and asked a cabin crew who confirmed that.doesn't take much to wonder why gf is not nearly what gf was 25 years ago

Gordomac
19th Sep 2019, 09:23
Pan Am : I joined in 1993 . It was like that then. Staff Travel embroiled in the wasta system that has dragged down other Departments too. BAS will always be in charge of Ground Handling, Never GF mainline.Can't cut the gravy line or drip feed when it is tightly controlled. Regular readers might recall my missive of my last Gf flight using my cherished Long Service award of an annual "Firm" ticket. Off loaded in BAH by BAS. Captain took pity and gave me & wifey last minute jump seats. Soldiering down to the rear galley, all dressed up expecting "automatic upgrades" and now overdressed for jump-seats, we passed many in Business who looked out of place in jeans & trainers. Maybe they were full farers, eh ? I wrote to Staff Travel in order to demonstrate that my leaving gift from GF was not really a "firm" ticket but, as usual, at the behest of corrupt ground staff. No reply. It'll never change.

ironbutt57
19th Sep 2019, 11:31
Pan Am : I joined in 1993 . It was like that then. Staff Travel embroiled in the wasta system that has dragged down other Departments too. BAS will always be in charge of Ground Handling, Never GF mainline.Can't cut the gravy line or drip feed when it is tightly controlled. Regular readers might recall my missive of my last Gf flight using my cherished Long Service award of an annual "Firm" ticket. Off loaded in BAH by BAS. Captain took pity and gave me & wifey last minute jump seats. Soldiering down to the rear galley, all dressed up expecting "automatic upgrades" and now overdressed for jump-seats, we passed many in Business who looked out of place in jeans & trainers. Maybe they were full farers, eh ? I wrote to Staff Travel in order to demonstrate that my leaving gift from GF was not really a "firm" ticket but, as usual, at the behest of corrupt ground staff. No reply. It'll never change.

staff travel...corruption central..one one rare occasion I went to use a nominee ticket..."sorry Captain you used all of them"....lets see who they were and where they went...all Persian names and going to Mashad...hmmmm...advised them I was going to the police post to open a case of forgery and theft...magically I had nominee tickets once again..bought the person a full fare on Espaghettihad instead...better service

CDRW
19th Sep 2019, 12:27
Oh yes .....those awful days of staff travel out of Bah. However I have to say that the actual terms and conditions of staff travel where damn good. Two annual confirmed tickets to your point of recruitment ! And if like me your point of recruitment was way off the beaten track, the company bought ID50 which they allowed you to use that value on any route. Travelled round the globe firm with Missus and sprogs for not very much outlay.
Then came along SQ, and things were very very different!

PanAmFalcon
23rd Sep 2019, 23:19
that is just sad. I can see why they have issues with staff retention :/

ironbutt57
24th Sep 2019, 00:56
99% of the time, active staff have only minor issues with staff travel, and the benefits are generous...the issue with the ground handling staff seating themselves in cabins where they dont belong and displacing GF staff was still one of the most pressing issues, a good Cabin manager could sort that out quickly