PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Propellor
23rd Mar 2010, 04:00
In Arabic terms, Majali has lost face. For all, he has lost respectability, with his lies over the Embraers and now, the sacking of three senior executives.

The sacking was in the Arabic papers on Sunday, denied by Majali and his PR department on Monday, and then confirmed on Tuesday.

Any self-respecting CEO would tender his resignation.

Majali, you have one chance to save your reputation, or whatever is left of it - quit! You would have a more respectable life in your own country than here in the Pink Palace!

left_to_first_class
23rd Mar 2010, 10:08
This article in ATW caught my eye...

Austrian Airlines will begin replacing regional jets and small turboprops with larger aircraft on its European routes from Sunday in order to bolster its competitiveness with higher volume and more attractive fares.
The move, expected to generate an additional 1 million passengers over the next 12 months, is a key part of the "rebirth of Austrian Airlines," CCO Andreas Bierwirth said Friday in Vienna, and an important step in its restructuring since its acquisition by Lufthansa last year. "OS is waking up from its beauty sleep. For too long, it was built on a standard from the '90s," he said.
Austrian lost €324.9 million last year (ATWOnline, March 16) (http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=19703), and a change in culture is required, Bierwirth admitted. "One big mistake in the last three years has been focusing too much on business travelers during a time when LCCs started to increase their presence at our hub," he said, which cost OS market share. The growth at Vienna bypassed the flag carrier. "LCCs began to cannibalize the network carriers, and we have become a niche player."
OS now is charged with offering a network product with lower fares, which are as low as €59 one way. Frequencies on many routes will increase and many night stops outside Austria will be eliminated. The last of the 10 CRJ200s operated by its Tyrolean Airways subsidiary will leave the fleet in mid-April and will be dismantled and sold for parts. "On 50 routes we will save 25% in seat-mile costs by using bigger aircraft," Bierwirth said. COO Peter Malanik said adjustments for the 2010-11 winter schedule will feature a larger number of connections between Eastern and Western Europe.

So the moral of this story is smaller doesn't neccesarily mean better or more profitable.

Panama Jack
23rd Mar 2010, 12:52
So the moral of this story is smaller doesn't neccesarily mean better or more profitable.

But the story isn't complete . . . yet! We haven't fast-forwarded 5 or 10 years ahead to see whether Austrian is a stronger airline as a result of this fleet replacement. They just think they can make a difference, this is their business case, so now they put it to the test. Hopefully they are right, but time will tell. Interestingly, the article mentions that the goal is to "bolster its competitiveness with higher volume and more attractive fares." No mention about profitability (you simply deduced this), but Qatar Airways has big jets (in fact, they even ordered A380's), very competitive, great volumes, attractive fares but how many millions of $$$ it loses daily is highly confidential.

What the "others" are doing got me trying cigarettes in high school. Logic? All the "cool" kids smoke. The nerds do not- they are busy in their books. Other even "cooler" kids were trying harder stuff (something I, fortunately, was never brave enough to do) and talking about the wonder of it all. I contented myself with trying to learn to fly a Cessna 150 rather than "flying" by myself. The benefit of looking back at it after a few decades experience revealed that none of what the pack was doing was such a good idea afterall.

The airline business seems to be a little less clear about it's own issues. Getting big airplanes might be a great idea. Or it could be the error leading to death.

ironbutt57
23rd Mar 2010, 13:57
A lot of it depends on one's market statistics, EMB's are great in the bussiness/commuter markets low cargo/baggage volume, 50 seaters and less cannot make money with current fuel prices anywhere, the jury is still out on the EMB here...

40&80
23rd Mar 2010, 14:10
I guess the Indian passengers today only have hand baggage?
That was not the case 20 to 30 years ago.

ironbutt57
23rd Mar 2010, 14:54
Still not the case, the airplane is intended for new/thin routes...India for sure is neither..where's the 767 when we need it!!

left_to_first_class
23rd Mar 2010, 15:12
PJ - agree the jury is out on whether this new strategy will be successful however when you are owned by LH who are a smart bunch of cookies, you can be reasonbly sure that this plan has been well thought out.

I'm particularly interested in the statement that on some routes there will be a saving of 25% in cost-per-mile. Given GF is losing so much money, surely keeping A320's on some routes is better than downsizing.
I only hope the guys in network planning have got their sums right.

MikeAlpha7
23rd Mar 2010, 15:28
Apparently Ismael Karimi Deputy CEO has submitted his resignation on Tuesday.

sheryas777
23rd Mar 2010, 15:47
Congratulations to all Gulf air employee.This man was against some and supporting others.Hi role in a political party made him reach this position.Otherwise he is like the ex CPO whom you know not what do you know,to become in such a high post.

sheryas777
23rd Mar 2010, 16:16
:=The problem with Gulf air top management is its weakness, and not knowing well the Bahrain culture even being Arabs. They say good thing about the country but do not understand it, when compared to other states. Bahrain has some press freedom and people can express their feelings, verbaly or through electronic media, and internet, the disappointment is when CEO circulate an internal message describing it rumurs,and un truth. The newspapers in Bahrain and else where depend on advertising from big companies,unfortunatly Gulf air is one of those companies who threats the media by not giving them the advertisement and boycott them if they publish what he calls illegal news.:=

REACH-69
23rd Mar 2010, 22:30
So ,was useless ismael karimi given the option to resign (sacked technically) ,to make it look proffesional:ok:

G-FULL
23rd Mar 2010, 22:33
Statement:

Gulf Air announced today the resignations of Chief Administration Officer Mr. Ismail Karimi and Director of Human Resources Mr. Ahmed Al Banna. The CEO has accepted the resignations and has forwarded them to Gulf Air Board of Directors which is scheduled to meet on Wednesday 24 March 2010. Upon the Board‘s approval, the resignations will be effective from 31 March 2010.
On behalf of the management and staff members, Chief Executive Officer Mr. Samer Majali thanked Mr. Karimi and Mr. Al Banna for their valuable contributions to the company and exemplary discharge
of their duties. He wished them good luck in their future endeavors.

-

Drinks on me, party at my place :ok::E

IFE
24th Mar 2010, 05:22
Good news and Happy 60th Anniversary Gulf Air !

We thought SM said this was a rumor.

Hopefully the rumor of SM being sacked will become true soon. :D

Skybeds
24th Mar 2010, 10:43
Good news and Happy 60th Anniversary Gulf Air !

We thought SM said this was a rumor.

Hopefully the rumor of SM being sacked will become true soon. :D
well it is true hopefully

Heleheleyani
24th Mar 2010, 13:33
Does anyone know when ANTUAN will publish the rosters or is he sacked as well?

T O G A Boy
24th Mar 2010, 14:30
He is next in line as far as the rumours go...

Skybeds
24th Mar 2010, 17:09
Gulf Air, Bahrain’s national carrier, has reported significant growth in several areas of operation during 2009, a statement said.
The airline, which is currently celebrating its 60th anniversary, said despite the economic downturn that affected almost all business sectors, Gulf Air carried around 5.7 million passengers in 2009, which is slightly more than the number of passengers carried in 2008.
The Revenue Passenger Kilometers (RPK) also showed a better performance by registering a 2.1 per cent growth. The overall flight punctuality also reached 82.5 per cent during the year registering an increase of 12.5 per cent over 2008. Technical Dispatch Reliability reached 98.1 per cent, well above the industry norms, said the statement.
The Board of Directors of the airline, which met today to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Gulf Air, unanimously approved the audited financial results for the year 2009, presented by chief executive officer Samer Majali.
Majali also presented a report for January and February 2010 during which period the company recorded impressive performance. The airline has made an overall cost-saving of 12.3 per cent, he said.
The seat factor has also registered a growth of 4.1 per cent for the two months when compared to the same period last year. Technical Dispatch Reliability for two months reached a commendable 98.8 per cent. The airline flew 870,000 passengers in these two months, the report said.
Majali said: “The performance results are a positive indication that our new strategy is working well and we are on the right track. We were able to reduce overall cost due to our careful forward planning, prudent cost-saving measures and efficient performance optimization and, of course, a great teamwork.”
He continued: “As we celebrate our Diamond Jubilee year, we are creating an airline for the next 60 years and beyond - an airline that offers excellence in quality and service as well as excellent value. Towards achieving this, we have launched several initiatives in recent months. The introduction of regional jets into our fleet is a major step in this direction, bringing a new dynamics to travel experience in the region; we will be able to offer more regional destinations for our customers while maintaining our leadership position as the best-connecting carrier across the region. “
“We have also embarked on a comprehensive revamping of our products and services onboard. The introduction of the new premium class, ‘Falcon Gold’ is the first step in our objective to offer our customers a superior and more consistent product and enhanced travel experience across our entire wide and narrow body fleet.”
Majali also highlighted several other positive developments at Gulf Air. “Our Bahrainisation level has reached 53 per cent and our efforts to encourage and employ more Bahrainis are paying off; the recently launched campaign to recruit Bahrainis for our customer-facing positions has been received well looking at the number of candidates applied.
“At the same time we are conscious of the financial impact due to the total number of employees we have on our roll. We have started optimising on this front and as a result, we have now around 300 less staff in our strength than last year. We were able to achieve this due to our strict contract-renewal criteria, freeze in recruitment except critical positions, and freezing positions that fall vacant through natural attritions such as resignations and retirements.”
“Challenges are ahead but we have now laid a strong platform for the future, with a totally committed team. I strongly believe that successful organisations are those that use adverse times to their advantage, finding opportunities to excel and I am sure we will be able to succeed,” Majali concluded.
On the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee, Board of Directors greeted the staff and management. The board members promised their full support and guidance to the airline’s new strategy aimed at making the airline an efficient and commercially sustainable business.
The Board of Directors welcomed the three new members- Adel Maskati, Capt Ebrahim Al Gaoud and Hazem Janahi – who joined the Board recently and thanked the outgoing members Jawad Habib Jawad, Adel Salman Kanoo and Mohammed Farouk Almoayyed for their valuable contributions to the airline

Capt Quagmire
24th Mar 2010, 18:21
These are all nice numbers given by our trustworthy CEO.

Why has he not answered truthfully why…

-Pilots are leaving in droves by choice.

-Quality cabin crew are not getting their contracts renewed, only to be replaced (This is illegal in modern countries) by chicks that will call sick for a broken nail.

Why have 2 senior people been kicked in the last few weeks, we all know why. No need for the statement saying otherwise.

Aircraft are still tattered after the refurbishment that was advertised last year. Ugly font change is not a refurb....

Falcon Gold is exactly the same as Business and First class. Causing more problems for allocating seats to the people that think they are special and above the rest.

What has actually changed in the last few years?

Just different (and some of the same) guys stripping the coffers.

Good riddance to the pimp and banana though.

mutt
24th Mar 2010, 20:02
The Embraer 170 looks nice in the colors! What routes is it scheduled to operate?

Mutt

Propellor
24th Mar 2010, 21:36
If the CEO had to take one puppy for a walk in the GF corridors, how could he have missed walking the second one, too?

Another opinion was that it was the CEO's goodbye walk as well!

Propellor
24th Mar 2010, 21:40
Anyway, the good thing about the sacking (or the "resignations") is the one message: Bahrainis can also be fired. With that, the question now is when will our incompetent Fleet Managers be kicked out (or "resign")?

Panama Jack
25th Mar 2010, 07:44
Blah blah blah blah blah . . . .

Putting it all aside for a day or two to wish Gulf Air a Happy 60th Birthday. :ok:

http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/70_4793.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Here's to wishing for a re-naissance at 60!

left_to_first_class
25th Mar 2010, 11:05
Happy Birthday GF - life begins at 60!

Skybeds
25th Mar 2010, 11:36
Happy Birthday GF - life begins at 60!
thats the particular time when a person is running on bonus

brassplate
25th Mar 2010, 22:03
gf is just amazing. they sack two guys only to be replaced by a whole wad of other useless managers. obviously, 60 years of thieving habits are going to be hard to break.

40&80
26th Mar 2010, 11:39
Age 60 was my G.F. mandatory retirement age as a GF pilot....ironic if dear old GF the airline we all love was also shot in the head at 60.

Skybeds
26th Mar 2010, 12:44
Age 60 was my G.F. mandatory retirement age as a GF pilot....ironic if dear old GF the airline we all love was also shot in the head at 60.
wow some one is negative.

REACH-69
26th Mar 2010, 20:20
so ,who were the lucky candidates whom replaced the 2 sacked guys:ok:

runway in use
27th Mar 2010, 21:06
dont be surprised if u see two jordanian guys :P

wadefac
27th Mar 2010, 22:31
NO..........that would never happen :ugh:

Mephistopheles
28th Mar 2010, 08:14
I would not put too much hope in the recent change in board members & a few chiefs. The new guys will still have the same MO as the previous thieves & you must remember that after all they are only selected due to,either, their superb skills of thievery or pimping.
The show must go on...

behramjee
29th Mar 2010, 19:22
Some minor GF capacity changes are revealed on the GDS now:

KHI - from June 1st becomes 4 weekly A 332s + 3 weekly A 320s instead of daily A 320s.

BKK - daily A 343s instead of a mixture of A 332s and A 343s.

Also both Alexandria and Aleppo will be flown YEAR ROUND instead of summer only.

ALY will be operated 4 times per week using an A 320 where as ALP will be flown twice a week using an A 320.

Chuck Y
29th Mar 2010, 21:12
So when are the Embraers leaving us? Can't be long now that it is so plain for everyone & their donkey to see that it is a big f*** up & don't even mention the utilisation of the 2 that are here at the moment.

QatarA340
30th Mar 2010, 06:22
^^ What is the utilization rates of the E170s? Where does it fly to at the moment?

Whispering Giant
30th Mar 2010, 08:09
The E170's currently fly to Abu-Dhabi, Muscat, Larnaca, Istanbul and Athen's.

brgds
W.G

boiler
30th Mar 2010, 08:27
ATH is out and no longer on E170. Payload issues from what I understand.

Che Guevara
30th Mar 2010, 11:32
ATH is out and no longer on E170. Payload issues from what I understand.No surprise there, we knew that years ago...
Suspect the same will be true on Istanbul, Larnaca and just about everywhere they choose to try. :rolleyes:

30th Mar 2010, 14:54
When will reason and logic finally be understood :ugh:

Desert Diner
30th Mar 2010, 19:33
No surprise there, we knew that years ago...
Suspect the same will be true on Istanbul, Larnaca and just about everywhere they choose to try.

Which Bright Spark came up with the idea of flying the 170 to ATH/IST/LCA?:uhoh:

IFE
30th Mar 2010, 20:37
The deal was highly encouraged by an idiot from Jordan, who was motivated by Benjamin Franklin.

Dessert Aviator
30th Mar 2010, 22:09
Rumours flying around ops tonight that he's resigned.....:eek:

Panama Jack
31st Mar 2010, 09:31
While I appreciate that there may be those who would be excited about such a thing (not sure if it is true or not), I would be concerned about what this means long-term for Gulf Air and the signal it sends to the industry as a whole.

repapips
31st Mar 2010, 10:58
The deal was highly encouraged by an idiot from Jordan, who was motivated by Benjamin Franklin.

Bwahahaha. This made me laugh... :))
:D

T O G A Boy
31st Mar 2010, 16:01
I just pray that the idiots running the show pay for this big time. Just for a friggin position, they are using those hard working pilots and crew as a stepping stone to achieve their goals. I pray for their termination..

wapses
31st Mar 2010, 23:19
I find it quite incredible that anyone would have thought that the Embraer was a suitable aircraft for Gulf Air (particularly on routes like ATH, IST, LCA) due to payload issues and of course the baggage problem.

Surely everyone knows what kind of pax GF carries and how a large majority of them take everything but the kitchen stove with them when they fly.

It really does beggar belief (incidentally, why the hell do we use that phrase?) that such a basic piece of information could have been overlooked.

But that my friends is GF. Incompetence taken to a level never previously dreamed of.

Bahrain Lover
1st Apr 2010, 05:58
Top honour for Bahrain airport
Posted on » Thursday, April 01, 2010

Gulf Daily News » Business News » Top honour for Bahrain airport (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=274562)

MANAMA: The Bahrain International Airport (BIA) has been named at Middle East Airport of the year 2010.
It wan top honours at the Skytrax World Airport Awards in Brussels.
Attended by top management from airports around the world, this award was among 30 awards presented by Skytrax chairman Edward Plaisted.
"Passengers are looking for the easiest airport experience, and BIA's uniqueness as a compact airport, combined with premium staff efficiency and speed of processes has attributed to its win," he said.
In the award ceremony organised by Skytrax, the judging panel cited easiest and most efficient experience as the key judgment criteria.
BIA's ability to deliver on those criteria, to provide passengers a significantly different travel experience as a result, has led to its success.
"I am naturally delighted that BIA has won this award. It is especially significant since it highlights the combined efforts of all contributing entities within the airport," said Bahrain Airport Company chief executive officer Dr Osama Al Ali.
"Since its inception, BIA has focused on bringing the best service to its passengers. This award is proof of our commitment to excellence, and represents the first step to enhancing the status of BIA - allowing it to feature competitively in a global arena."
"With the new expansion plans for BIA, the current levels of speed and efficiency will be further enhanced, to deliver the highest standards," he added.

MANAMA: The Bahrain International Airport (BIA) has been named at Middle East Airport of the year 2010.
It wan top honours at the Skytrax World Airport Awards in Brussels.
Attended by top management from airports around the world, this award was among 30 awards presented by Skytrax chairman Edward Plaisted.
"Passengers are looking for the easiest airport experience, and BIA's uniqueness as a compact airport, combined with premium staff efficiency and speed of processes has attributed to its win," he said.
In the award ceremony organised by Skytrax, the judging panel cited easiest and most efficient experience as the key judgment criteria.
BIA's ability to deliver on those criteria, to provide passengers a significantly different travel experience as a result, has led to its success.
"I am naturally delighted that BIA has won this award. It is especially significant since it highlights the combined efforts of all contributing entities within the airport," said Bahrain Airport Company chief executive officer Dr Osama Al Ali.
"Since its inception, BIA has focused on bringing the best service to its passengers. This award is proof of our commitment to excellence, and represents the first step to enhancing the status of BIA - allowing it to feature competitively in a global arena."
"With the new expansion plans for BIA, the current levels of speed and efficiency will be further enhanced, to deliver the highest standards," he added.

Bahrain Lover
1st Apr 2010, 06:05
استقالة 3 مسؤولين أجانب من طيران الخليج

قررت شركة طيران الخليج قبول استقالة ثلاثة من المدراء الأجانب الذين سيواصلون مهامهم المهنية في أماكن أخرى، فيما أعلنت الشركة عن تعيين مسؤولين بحرينيين في منصبي المدير الفني لضمان الجودة ومدير الصيانة.
وأشارت طيران الخليج - في بيان أمس - إلى أنها قبلت استقالة كل من المدير التنفيذي الأول للدائرة الفنية مارتن أندرسون، ومدير مدرسة التدريب الكابتن كريس راناغاناثا، ومديرة خدمات العملاء روث بيركين، بينما عُين جمال هاشم مديراً فنياً لضمان الجودة وأحمد شريف الموسى مديراً للصيانة.

Martin Anderson - Executave Director Technical Department, Criss Ranaganatha - Training School Director, Ruth Berkin - PR Manager Resigned

Jamal Hashim - Quality Control Manager, Ahmed Sharif Al Mousa - Maintanance Manager Appointed

Da Do Ron Ron
1st Apr 2010, 09:24
At long last Skytrax got something right.

Well done BIA, now can GF follow suit :ugh:

Yo767
1st Apr 2010, 09:36
Surely everyone knows what kind of pax GF carries and how a large majority of them take everything but the kitchen stove with them when they fly.

Mr Wapses, you are absolutely wrong on this one. While doing my walk around last year in AUH, I noticed a gas kitchen stove covered with a blanket and some rope being loaded in the cargo. It was second hand and tagged to MAA via BAH.

Panama Jack
1st Apr 2010, 11:00
Nice to hear that BIA won an industry award, seemingly though, in spite of BAS. :mad:

boiler
1st Apr 2010, 12:14
But that my friends is GF. Incompetence taken to a level never previously dreamed of.

From what I heard, it is:

1) Another case of aircraft manufacturer promising a certain performance and range, then discovering that in reality and under Bahrain conditions, it can't work out. Same as the A340s when they first came to GF.

2) The aircraft manufacturer using unrealistic assumptions for calculating the performance that does not tally with the international standards just to make the plane look good.

OUAQUKGF Ops
1st Apr 2010, 17:07
40&80 still going strong! Suspect we know each other. Probably live within shouting distance. Fancy a beer sometime?:ok:

Bahrain Lover
2nd Apr 2010, 09:57
A nostalgic look at aviation history
Posted on » Friday, April 02, 2010

Reading your article about Michael Stokes and Gulf Aviation/Gulf Air brings back many memories.
As one who first arrived in Bahrain in 1949 by flying boat, (a three-day story in itself), I have seen many changes in aviation in Bahrain.
I was living with my parents in Awali in 1950 when Gulf Aviation was first started and remember it well.
Aviation through the 1950s was a very chequered era, with many highs and lows.
In 1951, I flew to Dhahran by Aramco Aviation, the airline of the Saudi oil company.
This was in a Douglas DC3 Dakota of troop carrying style, that is, with seats backing on to the sides of the aircraft and freight strapped down the middle.
No problem going, but a week later on the return journey (being the only passenger) the captain and co-pilot told me before we set out that they would be putting shutters up round the cockpit windows to practise blind landings!
We landed a few minutes later at, what was then RAF Muharraq, on first the port wheel, then the starboard before settling down and coming to a stop.
On leaving the aircraft, I asked the two man crew why the shutters? They told me that it was in case they had to land in a sandstorm and could not see the runway and that the control tower could talk them down.
I asked them that if they could not see the runway, how could the control tower possibly see them and talk them down?
The captain looked at the co-pilot and said "Holy S++t, we never thought of that!"
The 1950s saw many changes with the main carrier from the UK being BOAC changing to land-based Argonauts with the same wheel configuration as the Dakota to the Boeing Constellation which had tricycle undercarriage, and then the Comet 1. The latter had a rather sad history to Bahrain, and although I was lucky enough to fly in it several times, it was marked with disasters off the coast of Italy with the loss of many lives.
Since the turn of the century, I have been lucky to have returned to Bahrain on a few occasions, including taking my wife, daughter and son-in-law out to see where I spent many happy years, and to enjoy Bahrain, the F1 Grand Prix and the friendliness of the people.
I hope that before too long I will again be flying to Bahrain.
Bill Wren

mutt
2nd Apr 2010, 13:37
Boiler, I don't know anything about GF, but if buying an aircraft, its extremely stupid to expect the manufacturer to define the conditions under which the performance is based, its the buyers responsibility to ensure that the aircraft is suitable for their route structure and environment.

Mutt

boiler
2nd Apr 2010, 15:11
Luckily then Gulf Air did not buy the aircraft then and only leased it.

information2000
2nd Apr 2010, 16:31
You are correct Mutt, therefore the CEO, should not take all the heat (monkey see, monkey do) It worked with RJ. He thought it’ll works with GF. Too.

It is the full responsibility of the Flt. ops. To consider all the facts and come up with recommendations.
who are those Gents. COO & DFO.

The payload drops 50% when the temperature exceeds 38C.

TO. limitation I.S.A +35 Of course we are talking ISA. But a forgotten performance penalty goes as follow

Density altitude
Effect of humidity (moisture) on density
It is assumed that the air was perfectly dry. In reality, it is never completely dry. The small amount of water vapor suspended in the atmosphere may be almost negligible under certain conditions, but in other conditions humidity may become an important factor in the performance of an airplane. Water vapor is lighter than air; consequently, moist air is lighter than dry air. Therefore, as the water content of the air increases, the air becomes less dense, increasing density altitude and decreasing performance.

http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/aircraft_performance.html

Regarding financial mischief of the company resources and mishandling of the day to day operation.
Flt.Ops.Managers are assigned positions with no managerial merits or skills.

The Embraer Project.

1-Nepotism, A 64 yeas retired Captain was selected for Embraer fleet.
2-A pilot with notice of resignation was sent to the course, he will leave the company before getting line checked
3-Pilots returned from the course ready for line training are on forced leave, not enough training pilots available, so The flybe guys can make the big buck, and the commissions could be made.
4-The two aircrafts fly max. two sector daily each. And retires over night.
5-The brand new AC. Had been grounded at least six times in a period of one month since their arrival.

T O G A Boy
2nd Apr 2010, 18:39
Spot on Information. What a way to introduce yourself to the forum...Well said mate...:ok:

Atebis
2nd Apr 2010, 19:34
MIS-Information2000,

Where do you get your BS from?

1-the 64yr old capt did not get selected to the EMB, he elected to go. Guess he figured he'd like to work till 65--since not many DEC positions available out there for a 64yr old capt.

2--WTF? Do you even know when this guy resigned? Not before the course, but when he was almost done. AND, since there is a 3month notice period he chose to finish the course and line train. Successfully i might add--unlike others who choose to jump ship or short notice quit.

3--Forced Leave?? Hahaha. When is the next EMB course? Sign me up!

4--2 sectors max a day per a/c? Tomorrow, MA does 6 sectors and MB does 4 sectors. You need math lessons.

5--Don't really know about that. Maybe its true, BUT, you have any info on how many times the new 320's have been grounded? Would be interesting to know---pick 2 of the new ones. let me know.

The Density Altitude explanations--- not a bad copy and paste from a website.

You should teach Ground School to Private Pilots.

Atebis

mutt
2nd Apr 2010, 19:52
TO. limitation I.S.A +35 I thought that the jungle jet could operate to ISA + 39C...... or didn't they buy that option?

Mutt

hunter320
2nd Apr 2010, 21:28
mutt,

from reading your posts i gather your an SA guy and you fly these jungle jets too, and since its a level B in your company the pay for its pilots is less than C and D, correct me if I'm wrong.

is it true that SA is getting rid of them after flying them for some time now?
if so, can u plz fill us in on the cons and prons of it within your operation?

my humble opinion: that its a nice A/C but not for GFA's kind of pax and operation.

Flight ops in GF simply introduced it in a very bad way, and way too fast to the operation, and that caused a great disruption to the pilots the ground crew and many others.

it looks like a one man show right now, where the CEO decides and ops managers just action. its sad to see these guys just working without thinking. at the end of the day its there airline and they should look after it, expat CEO's come and go and all they ever think about is delivering numbers with no consideration to the people who worked and will still work hard for the company if only things where done in a proper manner and not hearting them as individuals.

behramjee
3rd Apr 2010, 04:19
We have a major threat now on our BAH KUL flights from May 5th as MAS is launching 2 weekly KUL DXB DMM flights with an A 332 with 5th freedom rights avbl on the DXB DMM DXB sector as well.

Link:

Business : Malaysia Airlines plans to start services to Dammam (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/biz/inside.asp?xfile=/data/business/2010/April/business_April45.xml&section=business&col=)

mutt
3rd Apr 2010, 04:39
Hunter, I don't fly the jungle jet....:)

In SA, there are 5 aircraft categories based on aircraft weight, with 3 pay scales, the E170 is CAT-B, same as the MD90 or Gulfstream. For obvious reasons crews flying these aircraft are paid less than a crew flying a B744 or B777. If a CAT-D crew member is requested to fly the CAT-B aircraft due to operational requirements, he will remain on his CAT-D salary, but will be removed from the fleet as soon as possible.

The aircraft is a commercial success, it did have entry into service problems (i.e maximum operating temperature), but these were solved. It isn't scheduled to be removed from service due to the fact that it actually makes money. You should be aware that there are a large number of Public Service Obligation routes in SA with light traffic loads, the E170 is ideal for these.

Cons, it does have problems on routes from hot/high/mountainous airports or operating into airports without fuel, but we knew this before we purchased them and these limitations were not sufficient to increase the aircraft size to an Airbus. (Note the subsequent Airbus purchase was to fulfill a different mission profile.)

Pros, the low ACN allows us to operate to taxiways :)

Why do you say it isn't suitable for GF kind of pax and operation ?

Mutt

Che Guevara
3rd Apr 2010, 10:00
Why do you say it isn't suitable for GF kind of pax and operation ?

In one word, baggage.

Cheers

hunter320
3rd Apr 2010, 21:25
mutt, :ok:

i didn't mean you fly the e-jet, SA in general, any way thanks a lot for the insight of your ops with this jet.

GF pax have been used to carrying a lot of baggage and we offer 40kgs for economy class now as an incentive to fly with us.
the main problem is most of them are labor who get 1 ticket every 2 years working contract, so they carry a lot with them when they travel, its the volume of their baggage that is a problem not the weight now.

safe flying for all:)

DesertHawk
3rd Apr 2010, 21:37
When are we all just going to accept the obvious? there is absolutely no Operations managment going on at all. As someone once said "this is not a democaracy!" obviously our ops managment have decided to lie down and take it so we might as well bend over or get out of the way!:ugh:

mutt
3rd Apr 2010, 21:51
Gentlemen, its easy, operate the aircraft on the routes for which it is suited... put the Airbus on the others... unless of course you have totally evolved into a labor class airliner whereas you should have purchased a C130!

Mutt

Che Guevara
4th Apr 2010, 00:57
C-130 would be good! :)

Skybeds
6th Apr 2010, 18:42
looks like gulf air is giving full throttle on advertisement. like they are in the GCC/middle east business information site.
check it out
Trade Arabia - Middle East & GCC business information | Trade News Portal (http://www.tradearabia.com/)

WELCO
6th Apr 2010, 21:18
Any idea why Chris Ranganathan left the company? To which company did he move?

Cheers

evilatp
7th Apr 2010, 10:34
I heard that the training department was "reorganized". Apparently Chris was given a new position - one that paid much less than before. I don't know where he is going.

Che Guevara
9th Apr 2010, 11:19
It seems the following quote from 'The Caravan ME Forum Classic 1st Scroll' has come to pass:

'"Still choking in the dust at the autocamels' feet, the effohs in the Cherif's caravan mumbled and cursed their traitorous Master Cameleer, but he scorned their complaints. The situation, he told any who dared speak out, had changed. Those who continued to grumble were sent upon their way with these words: "If thou likest it not here, thou mayest returneth to the empty roads of thy homeland."
Few could do so at that time, as the cunning Yasser Wateverusay knew full well.
Time passed, and the ever suffering effohs wearied of the promises of the Master Cameleer. Some lost hope and many found other roads to tread as new caravans started up in their own Lands. As they took their leave, they cried aloud as one: "We seekest roads on which the Golepostes art not fixed upon the backs of swift moving camels!"

Good luck lads!

Albergineman
10th Apr 2010, 14:39
Check it out:

Dispaly Article (http://www.kurdishglobe.net/displayArticle.jsp?id=5AE57B9FA06DAE4E3CCD8C589A4D1454)

EK2EYengineer
10th Apr 2010, 17:24
how can i post BAH DHL accident pictures

G-FULL
10th Apr 2010, 21:15
@EK2EY: Upload them on TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://www.tinypic.com) and then link them in :)

brassplate
13th Apr 2010, 12:20
Gulf Daily News » Business News » Ratings boost for Gulf Air (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=275523)

ratings boost for gulf air..

you pay to advertise on the gdn and all of a sudden you get nothing but positive reporting. who ever said that dollar diplomacy isn't alive and well in bahrain? business friendly alright.

boiler
13th Apr 2010, 13:48
But that was an IATA review.

brassplate
14th Apr 2010, 00:47
i know it was an iata review! the fact that positive reporting by gdn of gf coincided with gf advertising on gdn is timely.

T O G A Boy
14th Apr 2010, 12:14
Just for the records, i grade GF crew as one of the best in the industry. Without any " Unions " to back them and low morale and low pay scale, they still deliver the best they can. Albeit not all but the majority as per my experience, do. :ok:

obsidian
16th Apr 2010, 16:11
has any heard that from next line a320 all india turnaround for flightdeck??:{:ugh::ugh:

Che Guevara
16th Apr 2010, 17:30
That is indeed the latest rumour.

T O G A Boy
16th Apr 2010, 22:31
Yeah apparently thats true. What i also heard is that GF and Jet airways have done a codeshare deal and that GF will only fly to Mumbai and Delhi. All others would be done by Jet. How true is that. Can anyone confirm pls.

left_to_first_class
17th Apr 2010, 12:26
Can't confirm the rumours but I wouldn't be surprised. GF and Naresh Goyal have a very close relation ..... goes back many many years when GF put some money into 9W ... and as recently as GF leasing some 777 whilst 9W was having cash flow problems.
With both airlines losing money, don't be surprised.

obsidian
17th Apr 2010, 12:38
code share was in the gdn,destinations for gf will be maa and bom,tunraround for pilots until the codeshare deal swings into full effect..:{ i dont understand why they are cost cutting so aggressively when everyone in the office gets a bonus! antoinne is going to recieve a check for 20000dinars already for this proposal and cabin crew reduction on all fleets...hr manager recieved a fat check for resigning,karimi even a fatter check for being removed from his position..insurance manager,fat check for cutting down alot in our medical insurance plan which is a joke...:ugh::ugh::ugh:why why why????...:{

Che Guevara
17th Apr 2010, 15:07
What i also heard is that GF and Jet airways have done a codeshare deal and that GF will only fly to Mumbai and Delhi. All others would be done by Jet

Interesting strategy considering the subcontinent routes are the bread and butter of all Gulf Airlines and perhaps a certain airline's only profitable routes...

Way to go guys :ok:

DesertHawk
17th Apr 2010, 15:56
It is obvious the cost cut strategy is more of a cost gouge at all cost and think about it later. As far as the baffoons getting bonuses i would of thought AA would be on chopping block considering his insistence of us being overcrewed and now the diabolicle situation with the upgrades. It is obvious change is coming.....just like before:) Anyways as a pilot here all this is seconday to good support from our ops managment....which well in a word is useless:( unfortunately I have come to the realization not to expect any support.

DesertHawk
18th Apr 2010, 04:54
heard there is some confusuon about EMB. no upgrades on 170 for now but the ones forced over are highest seniority. please correct me if i am wrong anyone on the EMB

obsidian
18th Apr 2010, 11:12
the ones forced intially were of the highest seniority,but they have realized there mistake as some of the guys on the e170 are coming up for there command which is to be done ONLY on the a320 since there is no training program for the e170 and its a new type..so now they will skip the first 15 to 20 fos on top of the senoirity list and send the ones below them to the jungle jet...safe flying:E

DesertHawk
18th Apr 2010, 14:48
I know that was there idea to move the transfer down so they would not have problems. As I was in the office I took a quick look at the list and it is obvious that the first guys on the EMB will be up for Command in the next few months, leaving a small problem. Anyways like usual there is no official plan from the office probably cause there are so many changes they are just trying to stay afloat! Just be glad if u are not caught up in this:) :ok: for first time I am thrilled to be more JUNIOR:)

obsidian
21st Apr 2010, 11:33
we have no market share! we carry the leftovers!:} sami ruined whatever little we've had...:{

T O G A Boy
21st Apr 2010, 14:35
Its true that sami ruined all what we had left, but of course with the help of the blind following of the management under him..

brassplate
22nd Apr 2010, 05:15
the funniest thing is that gf probably performed its best during the cancellations caused by the volcanic ash over europe.

G-FULL
22nd Apr 2010, 10:03
GF are operating extra flights today and tomorrow to LHR/KTM/FRA and CDG.

Did you all hear about the A320 bound to Doha today which burst a tire on takeoff? It closed the airport for sometime and many of the arrivals had to divert and some even cancelled their flights.

surfer of desert
22nd Apr 2010, 11:50
It was A321 A9C ET, what I hear the parking brake was set ON during normal take off without any Ecam message, so they blow the tires!!!!:}

22nd Apr 2010, 17:53
All I can tell you about the delays on the Embraer, is the same situation each time. Nil spares due to credit/stores/gf supply issues. Nothing out of the norm so far on the aircraft them selves, just a lack of support and acknowledgement from GF...allthe reports this aside so far are very positive...2 x190 on the way later in the year...
Still at least you will be able to compete with the other regions operators now.gf,saudi air,nas, Oman, egypt, royal Jord...Jungle jets are flooding in on orders over the next 3 years.:ok:

ShirleyNot
22nd Apr 2010, 18:32
Good old E-Technical can always be relied upon to do something dodgy...you should see the skiddies on 12L.

obsidian
25th Apr 2010, 12:56
i heard nas and saudi are getting rid of their jungle jets because they are not SUITABLE for this region;i.e:payload restrictions! and cargo pellet size..a318 would have been better,me thinks..same rating,nearly same spare parts,fleet commonalilty and all that stuff...flights on the a320 are always 80% full with cargo as well...so i dont see a reason to introduce a new type which is not suitable even from a passengers point of view and smaller just because the operating cost is 30%lower..genius sami has incurred more cost by continously changing interiors,changing the falcon to a chicken and giving out bonuses and expensive advertising,when all of this money spent could have been channelled in to a major rehaul of the current fleet to bring it on par with other gcc carriers who are light years ahead...:ugh:

WELCO
25th Apr 2010, 20:47
The only impression I get when I try to figure out the big picture is that Mr. Majaly is trying to make GF look like a "premium" LCC", or may be is trying to put the company in a gray zone between a fully capable national carrier and an LCC! If that is the case, then I would recommend him, as well as his marketeers and advisors, to go for some kind of a brush up course about Product Positioning and Market Segmentation! Although he didn't officially stated such intentions, I can't assume any better scenario for a vague future.

When you put your employees and the public in this area of confusion, then that should only make us think "fraud again"!! A typical rich media for plans behind the scene, isn't it?:ugh:

Good luck

sirwa69
27th Apr 2010, 07:07
Just heard on the jungle drums that the Embraer's are on hold as a review takes place. The major problem, as indicated by many, is luggage space. This aircraft is designed for commuter routes and passengers with briefcases whereas GF in their wisdom has put it on holiday routes where passengers take suitcases.
You know, you'd think that someone with all that airline experience coulda worked that out before :mad::mad:

brassplate
27th Apr 2010, 07:14
stupidity at its best. just like buying a beetle to do the work for a tarago. even my 8 year old could've figured out that a square peg fits in a square hole.

Che Guevara
27th Apr 2010, 14:31
Just heard on the jungle drums that the Embraer's are on hold as a review takes place. The major problem, as indicated by many, is luggage space
Gents this is not new.
Hogan's Heros checked out these aircraft in 2004 and decided that they were not for GF because they could not carry the luggage, full stop. Indeed the study is probably still sitting in a filing cabinet in the Pink Palace.
I seem to remember that they even had an aircraft here on demo, so where are we going with this...?

DesertHawk
27th Apr 2010, 15:28
straight to the bank.....pretty simple. someone gets some backhanders as always.... plane looks good on paper as it is half the cost of 319. small baggage issues seem to go to wayside when big wigs see dollar signs ahead of everything else

pinkpalace
29th Apr 2010, 01:25
Good morning you all,
I'm new on PPrune, but I'm not new in Gulf Air.

I absolutely respect all the comments about the business Plan, the CEO, the Embraer, etc.

I'm sure that most of the comment are from people who absolutely love to stay in GF and living in Bahrain.

What I'd like to say and see is a different approach to our problems.

Embraer is not our aircraft, T7 is our aircraft, and I think everybody agree.

But for the time being we have to think about the real problems of the flight deck and cabin crew of our airline.

Why our roster are always published with many delays, why we speak a lot about CRM and we have different roster with cabin crews, why we're looking forward to have only turn around and minimum rest?

Why 90% of our roster are scheduled to request a Captain discretion, and worst thing, why all of us go on discretion?

We are Pilots, all of us, everyday (local, expat, muslim, buddhist, jewish, captain, copilot, cadet, etc) complain about rostering, but nobody do anything to change this.

Is really Majali a problem for us? I don't think so. We are the problem.

Everyday I fly with a copilot called from a day off. Sometimes I fly with a Captain on the right seat called from a day off.

Is the Embraer the real problem?

Next month we're starting to have all turn around on 320, 330 & 340 to India, Nepal, and Pakistan flights.

Stop complaining about the business plan (we don't have the power and the knowledge to fight against it) and focus on our life.

2 days off, 1 day stand by, 2 days off in a row. . . this is a problem!
2 pilots in the Hotel, 8 Cabin Crew turn around is a problem.

Complain about the Jordan, but kick the lebanese in the ass (ok, I know he likes, but was a saying).

Greetings from Pink Palace.

samjetblaster
29th Apr 2010, 10:14
Totally agree with Pink Palace.Pls fix the roster.Why only two days off?Why flying on your days off? Etc....Unite together.I don't think Majali is a problem.
Bravo Pink Palace!!:ok:

obsidian
29th Apr 2010, 14:45
greetings pink palace,itotally agree with you on most of the points you mentioned..2years ago we implemented no flying on days off for a while on the a320fleet...alot of local captains and fos were involved,it had such a positive effect,that management called an unofficial meeting to listen to our demands and promised positive changes in the coming months about issues like i.e.rosters,leave,blocks,turnarounds,career progression,fleet transfer but as usual nothing happened..:{ if you want to stop flying on your days off i am sure all of us are in to it..but make sure that everyone or at least 90% of the pilots are involved and you cant get fired for not flying on your days off! the guys that have submitted their resignation are due to leave in may and the coming months,its summer,lots of flights,they are short on the a320 and 330/340 fleet,perfect timing..hit em hard! let mr.abboud and sami deal with the mess that will ensue..they have made everyones life miserable..:E

samjetblaster
29th Apr 2010, 18:46
Cheers Obsidian:ok:

Arabianoryx
30th Apr 2010, 05:30
Not so long ago the ATPL allowance was removed. No one said a word. That was just the start of what came. Loss of competent Flight Attendants, while the lazy ones are still working. Then loss of over 60's. Omanis running for better secured jobs. Almost makes me think it was planned... Months later bahrainis recieve 80 or 180 BHD extra.

We pilots have no real idea of what the near or far future holds. I doubt the management does either. Most of us love living here. But to be shafted as we have seen others so many times before. To stay... Very loyal or very stupid.

You decide.:ugh:

obsidian
30th Apr 2010, 08:38
arabianoryx no local pilot recieved the 180/80bd just so u know..new one for you cabin crew on the a320/a319 to be reduced to 3! to be implemented soon..:ugh:

mutt
30th Apr 2010, 09:48
i heard that Saudi are getting rid of their jungle jets as they are completely unsuitable for the region that sir is total rollocks, you obviously have no commercial knowledge of the Saudi Arabian domestic route structure and the associated passenger loads!

The aircraft makes money whereas an A318 would be commercially unviable.

Mutt

obsidian
30th Apr 2010, 10:02
mutt..i am sure the aircraft makes money i ve mentioned that..but it cannot carry cargo! and why is saudi in the process of setting up their a320 family fleet??

mutt
30th Apr 2010, 11:13
And how much cargo is carried on the domestic route structure? You cant compare the A320 and E170, they have completely different route structures and mission profiles.

Within Saudi Arabia, there are airports which must be served as part of a public service obligation (PSO), SAMA and NAS got their licences on the premise that they would operate some of these routes. Unfortunately for them they chose the B737 and A320 as their initial aircraft, neither of which are suited to operate most of these PSO routes. Hence the reason NAS got the E190 and SAMA started operating a Jetstream 41, both airlines have since dropped the PSO routes due to their economics......

We looked very closely at the 737 and A318/9 before buying the E170. The new A320/1 fleets were never intended to replace the E170, rather its intended to replace the MD90 entirely and the B777 on certain routes. The fleet commonalities of the A318/9 still wouldn't justify putting them on the PSO routes.

However, SVA have a significant domestic route structure.... GF has none! Hence the passengers have completely different requirements regarding luggage.

Mutt

IFE
30th Apr 2010, 13:29
Let's start:

No Flying on Day-Off campaign.

obsidian
30th Apr 2010, 15:31
whats the start date?:E i am in anyway dont fly on my days off!:E

Strangeday
30th Apr 2010, 16:30
IFE to your post I will add Neither on Leave Days:ok:

pinkpalace
30th Apr 2010, 19:15
As employees we have to help the company to improve the safety standard and the enviroment.

No days off campaign for what? And when? Who is joining? Too many variables.

One thing a time.

First of all june rosters must be published at least on 24 of may, if not A.A. must resign immediately otherwise we don't fly on days off.

If on June rosters, as rumors say, there will be only turn around flight also for the flight deck crew, we don't fly on days off and we don't go discretion.

This is an idea, we are giving the opportunity to our CEO to act immediately and restore trust to his pilots.

I'm pretty sure he is available to collaborate.

T O G A Boy
2nd May 2010, 06:27
Pink Palace, u r an individual with wisdom, thats for sure....
count me in too.:ok:

SkyDive6
2nd May 2010, 10:30
Hi,

I have question and it;s off topic so sorry for any trouble. Is it true that GF has amended a new policy for new Second Officers to pay half of the Simulator training?

Thank you

Landflap
2nd May 2010, 20:11
Oh stop being silly billies !

Mate of mine was called in for being man enough to refuse very considerable change to his SBY call in. Twirp Fleet Manager offerd him some old 'conditions of employment book' intended for toilet cleaners, where it does say that refusal to extend a duty , it being a reasonable request to do so, would be subject to disciplinary action.
:ugh::ugh:
My mate pointed out that the Bahrain CAA might be very interested in this, because any Management request for a Captain to, extend a Duty Period, might be considered, a reasonable management request. Refusal would be subject to disciplinary action.

Glum expressions from the twirps led to my mate being given a Warning letter !!

And you really think you can improve things ???

Pink Palace, welcome. But you have no chance.

pinkpalace
3rd May 2010, 13:16
Dear Landscape,

Pink Palace, welcome. But you have no chance.

Thanks a lot, but probably I'm more senior than you in the Company, anyway thanks.

My mate pointed out that the Bahrain CAA might be very interested in this, because any Management request for a Captain to, extend a Duty Period, might be considered, a reasonable management request. Refusal would be subject to disciplinary action.

I disagree, at least if we read the "worldwide" regulamentations and FDP, included Bahrain CAA.

Third, and probably more important, if you read carefully my post you find this thing:

As employees we have to help the company to improve the safety standard and the enviroment.

No days off campaign for what? And when? Who is joining? Too many variables.

and this

This is an idea, we are giving the opportunity to our CEO to act immediately and restore trust to his pilots.

The reasoning is simple and is the same that i tried to catch from you in my first post:

Are we sure that the problem is Majali and the Embraer?

Maybe we have many other problems that cause more stress to our life and that are easier to solve. Maybe.

Happy Landings from The Pink Palace.

DesertHawk
3rd May 2010, 14:24
pinkpalce is on to something!!!! the real problems here have nothing to do with the Embraers. This experiment just highlights all the inadquate parts of the company and coordination amungst everyone in the pink palace. IMO there are a few major things that effect a pilot life.
1. PAY
2. Roster
3. Aircraft/route
4. Company philosophy

I believe numbers 2 and 4 are not worth talking about anymore due to the fact our opinions on safety and quality of life have absolutely no impact as AA is running the show and it is more like a complete mess. Anyways guys good luck and stay safe!

pinkpalace
3rd May 2010, 14:47
Dear DesertHawk, you are absolutely right, but I'm not sure that points 2 and 4 are impossible to change.

Synopsis:

1) Pay

I think we can't complain about it, however if they give a pay rise I think we all agree.

2) Roster: this part is very nice because is the only one that arranges all kinds of pilots: TRIs/TREs, Captains, SFOs, FOs, SOs and also the Cadets already know that something will be wrong in their future. So, wait and see.

3) Aircraft/Route: Aircraft is not our problem if we are talking about the model but is a big problem if we are talking about MELs.

Routes are commercially decided, I'would love to go to N.Y. instead of Dhaka but this is the business.

4) Company philosophy.

50 % is ruled by the management, 50 % is our duty, I honestly can understand all the complains about the first fifty percent, but at least I try to do something everyday to improve our 50%.

Think Pink.

Sultan85
3rd May 2010, 21:07
Good day to all,
After long time of being a positive and waiting for a light in the end of the day,:ouch:
((IM IN THE LIST!)):ok:
NO FLYING ON DAYS OFF, LEAVE AND FOR SURE NO DISCRETION !:=:=:=
Good luck.:D

bus_aviator
4th May 2010, 22:03
I nominate pinkpalace, ruler and supreme king of this thread, lets group and organize, those not wanting to take part in this don't influence the thread, as in shut up enjoy your pinacoladas and reap the benefits of those that do want to do something...

guys pay is alright....roster is ****...too much power to too little of a man...route structure "what to do" I'm sure bill gates didn't like windows at first either...

lets not bite the hand that feeds but persuade it to feed nicely...so to say

NO Flying on days off for me

budgetbudgie
5th May 2010, 03:10
:ooh: (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=277280)

Gulf Daily News » Local News » Appeal to sack airline's board (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=277280)

Mephistopheles
5th May 2010, 18:13
Well Majali is trying still trying to convince his masters that the Embraer is the perfect choice for GF-the guy has no shame but can you blame him since if the deal goes thru it will be a double hitter-commission & one of his family member will also get some benefit. His arguement now is that the E175 is not what he wanted but the 195 is the one for us!
The E175: payload 10t, pax 78 in 2 classes, range 2000nm
The E195: Payload 13t, pax 106 in 2 classes, range 2200nm
So the E195 is has 3t more payload wow but it has to carry an extra 26 pax bags but nowhere can I find out the figures of volume of cargo space available,since that is the problem for us cos most of our pax travel with suitcases & if the E175 couldn't handle 60 suitcases, unless the E195 has almost twice as much cargo volume available then it's another monumental f*** up.

CLB-1
5th May 2010, 22:47
Hate to point it out, but GF has the 170 so far, not the 175. Check your numbers. www.embraer.com (http://www.embraer.com) might help :ok:

JAR
6th May 2010, 09:26
E170 11.80 m³ v E195 22.39 m³

FORWARD CARGO COMPARTMENT LIMITS
EMBRAER 170 models, length units in meter, feet and inch
Cargo Compartment Available Volume (useful) 7.21 m³ 254.60 ft³
Maximum Floor Distributed Load 488 kg/m² 100 lb/ft²
Total Maximum Capacity 1370 kg 3020 lb

FORWARD CARGO COMPARTMENT LIMITS
EMBRAER 190 Models
Cargo Compartment Available Volume (useful) 10.83 m³ 382.50 ft³
Total Maximum Capacity 1850 kg 4079 lb

AFT CARGO COMPARTMENT LIMITS
EMBRAER 170 models, length units in meter, feet and inch
Cargo Compartment Available Volume (useful) 4.59 m³ 162.10 ft³
Total Maximum Capacity 1030 kg 2271 lb

EMBRAER 190 models, equipped with IFE
Cargo Compartment Available Volume (useful) 7.64 m³ 269.80 ft³
Total Maximum Capacity 1440 kg 3175 lb

FORWARD CARGO COMPARTMENT LIMITS E195
Cargo Compartment Available Volume
(usable)
11.14 m3 393.40 ft3
Maximum Floor Distributed Load 488 kg/m2 100 lb/ft2
Total Maximum Capacity 1900 kg 4188 lb
Cargo Compartment Available Volume
(usable)
11.25 m3 397.30 ft3
Maximum Floor Distributed Load 488 kg/m2 100 lb/ft2
Total Maximum Capacity 1800 kg 3968 lb

Panama Jack
6th May 2010, 12:41
Any word on the details of Mr. Majali's presentation today of a Redundancy Package? I heard it has some attractive terms and a number of people leaving the meeting were heard saying that they would go.

Unfortunately, I fear that it will bring the undesirable aspects that redundancy packages generally bring. The brightest people, the high performers, take it-- seeing it as a nice cash bonus and knowing that they can go somewhere else to continue a good career while some of the people who stay are the ones who know that they would be dead meat out in the job market.

As for budgetbudgie's post regarding Parliament's plea to sack the Board, ok, maybe we can compile their wish list:

1) Ban alcohol,
2) Make any an all contact with Isreal illegal,
3) Intensify internet censorship,
4) Sack Gulf Air board . . .

What else?

pinkpalace
6th May 2010, 13:13
Hi Panama,
if you check mygulfair.com, under the picture of the chief there's a link with all the informations and a software that permit to calculate the amount offered. Is available both arabic and english.

Greetings from the palace!

dacorana
6th May 2010, 13:24
Gulf Air launches voluntary retirement scheme
Manama: 7 minutes ago

"Gulf Air today announced a voluntary redundancy/ retirement scheme (VRS) for its employees aimed at optimising its workforce and improving efficiency.

The initiative is part of the airline’s new strategy to create a dynamic and commercially sustainable national airline serving the people and the economy of Bahrain, said a statement.
“A key part of our strategy is to review all cost elements of the business that have an impact on its sustainability and profitability. This included personnel-related costs. Offering a VRS was one of the suggestions put forward by employees and employee representatives to address this issue,” said Samer Majali, Gulf Air CEO.
“After careful consideration and a series of consultations with the Gulf Air Trade Union (GATU) and the Ministry of Labour, we have come up with a VRS that we feel offers a reasonable financial package to Bahrainis and former owner-state nationals wishing to leave Gulf Air and wanting to pursue other business or personal ventures,” he said.

Participation in the VRS is entirely voluntary and no one will be forced to take it. It is up to the individuals to decide whether they want to apply and make use of this one-time opportunity, the statement said. However, the decision to approve or reject any application will rest with a management committee.

Under the scheme, employees, who are Bahrainis or former-owner state nationals, who have worked for the company for a minimum of six months, are entitled to apply. Employees, whose applications have been approved, will receive a compensation of one month’s salary for each completed year of service, three month’s salary as an ex-gratia payment and one month’s salary in lieu of notice period.

Medical Insurance coverage will continue to be provided until March 2011 after which primary care will be provided for the employees and their eligible family members at the Gulf Air Clinic from April 1 to Dec 2011.

The employees’ staff travel benefits will be honoured until end-2010 while they will also continue to enjoy the company’s future staff travel benefits as per the Staff Travel Guide applicable to former employees. Staff, who are members of the Gulf Air Club can continue their membership until December 2011.

“While not all of the GATU's demands could be fully met, many were taken into consideration and the VRS scheme was modified to accommodate their suggestions. I was pleased with the final outcome as both Gulf Air management and GATU have became more aligned following negotiations and reached an understanding for a voluntary scheme,” said Majali.

“Whilst we are conscious of the financial impact due to the high number of employees we have on our payroll, our main priority will always be, retaining the best and most productive talent, safeguarding the jobs of Gulf Air employees who continue to work hard for Gulf Air’s long term success and future,” he said.

Majali emphasized: “Notwithstanding the VR scheme, we are actively moving on employing more Bahrainis. I am proud to say that today 82 per cent of non-flight crew positions in Bahrain are held by Bahrainis, while our overall Bahrainisation level has reached 54 per cent.”

“However, we are not stopping at that; we continue to create more opportunities to attract qualified Bahrainis. Recently we launched a campaign to recruit Bahrainis for our customer-facing positions and we recruited and trained 125 Bahrainis for our Gulf Air’s World Wide Call Centre. We also have ongoing training programmes in cooperation with Tamkeen for Bahraini pilots, engineers and cabin crew, just to name a few,” he concluded.

To assist employees in their VRS applications Gulf Air will offer a number of services including welfare and counseling support, investment guidance and for those wishing to develop additional skills Tamkeen will be available to provide advice." –TradeArabia News Service

G-FULL
6th May 2010, 18:26
Oh the lovely Embraer, GF903 to DAM returned to BAH after a nice tyre problem with the plane (MB) - I wonder how can such brand new light utilised planes can screw up :ok:

T O G A Boy
6th May 2010, 21:00
Actually it came back due to engine vibration. That was what the boys in ops were talking about ....When will the dipsticks get the message into their daft heads:ugh::ugh:that these crappy planes arent for us... When ??????

7th May 2010, 10:37
N1 vib, its been an issue from day one. The reports on the test bed showed higher than norm patterns from production at GE. It was accepted by GF with GE assurances. Its too easy to keep blaming 'The Embraer'. Sometimes being in the picture helps...take off the blinkers!:ok:

Yo767
7th May 2010, 20:57
ED and EJ being ferried to YMX (Mirabel, Quebec, Canada) tomorrow. Anyone knows why? And why is the chief pilot doing the trip??? Isn't he busy enough with managing 2 fleets? Especially one he is not trained on (E70)

Atebis
7th May 2010, 23:42
Hey TOGA Kid,

Which crappy planes are you referring too? AD that crapped on engine in flt? ET that tries to put the park brake on during take off roll? Be more specific. And JAR.....How much space does a 340 have? 123.45678 cubic meters? What's the floor loading on the 330?

obsidian
8th May 2010, 05:21
ed+ej are being disposed off...and i dont think the fleet manager is managing the e-fleet because they are always on the ground!:} dont blame him,blame ns and h.f,they are the ones screwing your life up!:E

G-FULL
8th May 2010, 16:51
ED/EJ are off to Oslo at first stage, GFA9033/9035 - I think delivery flight to an airline somewhere, anyone knows?

pinkpalace
8th May 2010, 17:33
ED/EJ are off to Oslo at first stage, GFA9033/9035 - I think delivery flight to an airline somewhere, anyone knows?

They are going to Montreal, Canada. Last flight with GFA flight number.

T O G A Boy
8th May 2010, 22:01
Atebis, by the sounds of it, u r an Embraer guy. And do u really think its fair in any sense to compare a 20+ year old ET with a brand new MB Embraer. And regarding the engine problem of AD, well as we all know sh$t happens. But we r not here to argue as to which planes are better. We r simply trying to suggest that Embraers ( although good planes ) are not feasible nor practical for GF's routes, structure and passengers' demands..............:=

CRUIZE
9th May 2010, 18:22
GULF AIR , GULF AIR , GULF AIR gulf air

40&80
9th May 2010, 20:12
On behalf of Gulf Air I would like to apologise for the total lack of recognition
of the many years of service the eleven expatriate pilots terminated by email last month have provided to Gulf Air.

Thank you and congratulations on the many years of safe line flying operation you have achieved.

Special thanks to one Captain who has served G.F. for over 38 years.
Several other Captains for over 25years... and to the two most junior for having achieved 18years.

Whilst you all presently await a letter of thanks from the CEO or any other manager...I appreciate the huge number of accident free hours and years of safe flying you all have achieved.

Hopefully the terms and conditions set out in Pprune post 2499 will not be denied to you because of your various nationalities...
Gulf Air management considers it important not to discriminate and the policy is to retain the best most competent staff.

Icarus
10th May 2010, 07:13
WE GOT IT WRONG - GULF AIR CHIEF

Gulf Daily News » Business News » WE GOT IT WRONG - GULF AIR CHIEF (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=277637)

obsidian
10th May 2010, 08:16
:Eheard a good one yesterday,direct entry captains on the long haul fleet! because they just found out they are going to be really short..infact they are short now! started calling guys from leave...and for the f/os expect your command to be delayed by up too one year,they will FREEZE command for awhile..
source:rat inside management.
:E

WELCO
10th May 2010, 20:11
WE GOT IT WRONG - GULF AIR CHIEF

Gulf Daily News » Business News » WE GOT IT WRONG - GULF AIR CHIEF (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=277637)

It looks like Mr. CEO is lost in time! I think it would have been more relevant if he came up with these statements few months back after he has first joined the company. Instead of focusing on the problem, focus on the solutions....talk to us about real solutions!:ugh:

Probably he has said all of that now trying only to absorb a bit of the anger around and to set the "snipers" at ease for a while!

DesertHawk
10th May 2010, 21:15
well hope u guys are joiking casue if they hire DEC's say good bye to this airline for good! i dont believe they would let that genious AA get away with this crap after they got rid of the over 60's!!!! this would ground flts for sure on all fleets!

obsidian
11th May 2010, 08:04
well they were not joking about it,thats for sure..the option has been brought up and discussed..they are short thats a fact and its summer,they let the guys over 60 leave,the omanis left,the guys going to qr are leaving this month..work out the the numbers..they have boughtin decs in the past so it wont be a suprise really..u r nothing but a number that can be replaced,like it or not...:E

behramjee
11th May 2010, 13:07
our Iraq niche market will no longer be all for us to exploit as Qatar Airways has been officially granted permission to fly to Najaf, Erbil and Baghdad from this summer onwards.

EK too has officially announced new flights to BGW and I can bet you that Fly Dubai will be flying to the smaller cities of NJF and EBL in the future with EK interlining.

Landflap
12th May 2010, 15:23
Oh dear,

I am referred to as "Landscape" when, in fact, I am,"Landflap".

Someone else refers to PinkPalace as "Pinkplace".

But, Pinkpalace suggests that seniority is something to revere ! Wake up boys & girls, Seniority was NEVER a factor. And you wasters who aspire but cannot even spell !

Good night GF. Oh, I am turning off the lights. AND I am Senior enough to do so.

Aaaaagh, can't see now. Oh, welcome to the club.

Cheers children,

G-FULL
12th May 2010, 17:36
Well, one step ahead now that everyone is raping Iraq;
Gulf Air will start 5 weekly flights to Basra from BAH effective IATA winter 2010.

GF 207 0850 1005 BAH - BSR ex Mo, Tu
GF 206 1100 1220 BSR - BAH ex Mo, Tu

Aircraft: A320

- Isn't it easier to go to KWI then cross the borders?

behramjee
12th May 2010, 23:00
The 850am departure from BAH to BSR is suicidal because it will only be catering to traffic from LHR on GF 006 and O&D from BAH as not a single GCC flight connects with this schedule.

I will not be surprised to see this departure moved to at least 950am BAH time.

Albergineman
13th May 2010, 08:02
Check it out:

Majali is getting it right at Gulf Air - Jobs - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/588115-majali-is-getting-it-right-at-gulf-air)

"... and at some cost. Bahraini nationals and nationals of the other states that used to own Gulf Air who opted for voluntary redundancy all got three months salary plus a month for every year of their employment, and benefits like medical insurance for 2011. It was enough to mollify the unions."

:eek:

Propellor
13th May 2010, 21:40
Am told that a couple of more ferries to Canada are around the corner.
Better call up your friends to put your name on them, before the A320 fleet's FM aka Foreign Manager or Ferry Manager gets them for himself or his cronies.

behramjee
14th May 2010, 13:05
We have officially announced 4 new weekly nonstop flights to MED-Medinah, Saudi Arabia effective June 17th.

Flights to operate with an E 70 and the GDS displays the schedule to be as follows:

GF 175 Dep BAH 1030 Arr MED 1235 - MON/FRI
GF 175 Dep BAH 1640 Arr MED 1845 - THU/SAT GF 176 Dep MED1340 Arr BAH 1535 - MON/FRI
GF 176 Dep MED1940 Arr BAH 2135 - - THU/SAT

obsidian
15th May 2010, 07:19
propeller i suggest you apply for the post of fleet manager! if you want to do these flights..2 planes were sent to canada with 2 canadians and 2 locals..check your facts next time and they were not his cronies:E

Heleheleyani
15th May 2010, 08:11
I really don't care who ferried the airplanes where and I actually like the fllet manager he's a gentleman but if you check your aims, the airplanes are not ferried by canadians unlesss the 2 of them have dual citizenship

obsidian
15th May 2010, 18:18
yes they do..:E

samjetblaster
16th May 2010, 00:19
What is happening to Gulf Air???????????:confused:

16th May 2010, 03:48
to a galaxy far far away

Krinkle
16th May 2010, 12:38
Manama, Bahrain, 16 May 2010:
Gulf Air, Bahrain’s National Carrier announced the appointment of Mr. Maher Salman Al Musallam to the position of Deputy Chief Executive Officer.
A seasoned aviation professional, Mr. Al Musallam, who is Bahraini, brings a wealth of experience to Gulf Air, gained from a career spanning 35 years in the Royal Bahraini Air Force. :suspect:
Gulf Air CEO, Mr. Samer Majali welcomed Mr. Al Musallam saying his aviation experience will make him a valuable addition to the airline.
“The airline is continuing its rapid implementation of the new strategy and we certainly welcome someone of Mr. Musallam’s calibre to the team,” he said.
Reporting Directly to the Chief Executive Officer, he will be involved in all operational aspects of the business.

Che Guevara
16th May 2010, 21:03
a career spanning 35 years in the Royal Bahraini Air Force.

I guess that qualifies him to run a 'commercial' airline then. I would have thought they would be as similar as chalk and cheese.

Man the lifeboats lads and turn off the lights while you are about it.

T O G A Boy
16th May 2010, 21:43
Things are getting worse and worse by the minute. I believe the clock is ticking on GF:{

Duh
17th May 2010, 03:52
Ticking my arse, it stopped a while ago. Must be the heat, the mashuginahs or the enshallahs that have not allowed you and the "others" to notice. We had a few more of your(GF) chaps begin ground school over here today. And they are not flying the Tuk Tuks. :}

ShinjukuHustler
17th May 2010, 05:56
A retired military guy in a struggling commercial airline....hmmm what's wrong with this picture?...:suspect:

obsidian
17th May 2010, 06:49
unfortunately the m.p. think that running a commercial airline is the same as running public transportation buses!:ugh:

Bahrain Lover
17th May 2010, 08:58
I think Al Musalam job is to keep an eye on Majali and try to stop the corruption in GF.

Shogun68
17th May 2010, 09:49
Any news on when will Gulf air start recruiting flight crew again??

evilatp
17th May 2010, 14:32
No word on hiring at the moment. There are plenty of cadets waiting for their training slots but depending on deliveries and attrition, GF might need to hire expats. As always nobody will know until the company starts hiring.

sandfli
17th May 2010, 18:00
I think that is a great idea, because we know Bahraini's cannot be corrupted!!

Che Guevara
17th May 2010, 18:11
Yeah right.

Bahrain Lover
18th May 2010, 07:28
I think that is a great idea, because we know Bahraini's cannot be corrupted!!

Of course Bahrainis can be corrupted, but my point is forget about him and think who is watching him and where he came from, he didn't just send his CV and got picked by the board. My suspicion is this guy has a mission.

brassplate
19th May 2010, 09:21
that's right. a mission alright. to fire!!
and don't forget his military background. there is NO PLACE for military types in civil aviation. no doubt he would have been involved in serious I MEAN SERIOUS interrogations. i heard he is seriously mean dude. anyone know more?

SandShovel
19th May 2010, 13:18
Hi guys,

Heard a rumor that they will send people on EMB course soon:}, and as i've heard some FO's selected are expats from the bottom of seniority list:rolleyes:, currently flying 320s.
So get ready:eek:.

Cheers.

ShirleyNot
19th May 2010, 13:22
Wow youve got your finger on the button Mr Shovel, thanks for the update.... Actually they are sending FOs from the TOP of the seniority list currently flying 330/340.

SandShovel
19th May 2010, 13:39
Mr Shirley, i guess they are tired of loosing people with experience, so the new tendency for FOs is to start from the bottom. As so far no upgrades are planned on JungleJet.

Che Guevara
19th May 2010, 13:41
Yes indeed, rumour of two more M Jets on their way in a couple of months or so. :rolleyes:

evilatp
19th May 2010, 13:54
They are currently short of 330/340 FO's and fat on 320 FO's. Plus why would they send senior people to EMB school if they are not getting as many a/c as originally planned. The troubling part of the rumor (if it's true) is that it looks like they are going to take FO's from the middle of the 320 seniority list and not from the bottom as they should.

SandShovel
19th May 2010, 14:35
Evilatp, i've heard the middle of seniority list on 320 will start with the most junior expat, try to guess why :)
New concept to the seniority :rolleyes:

DesertHawk
19th May 2010, 15:44
heard the same. how will they office guys try to convinve us all that seniority rules if they do this??? actually i want them to send the new locals would be funny to see.

SandShovel
19th May 2010, 17:54
If this is the plan to get rid of the expats, i am sure it will work out well :ok: apart of the company's "rescue" plan. Just need to spice it up with the DECs.:O

obsidian
21st May 2010, 06:28
shovelhead,i dont think its targeted towards the expats,the top of the seniority list just happens to be expats..expats+locals we r all the same! they are losing pilots from different nationalities..decs will have a more profound effect on the captains on all fleets..they will get decs thats for sure..local a320 pilots are from now not flying on their days off+leave..the message was texed to everyone 3days ago i think..:E happy turnarounds!

finalcall
21st May 2010, 07:06
hello chaps,
it goes without saying to leave gulf with your dignity. or whats left of it.
From personal experience i can tell you flying to JFK is much more refreshing than flying to baghdad or dhaka.

brassplate
22nd May 2010, 22:44
well that just about sums it all for gf. well said, finalcall.
i foresee very bad things happening to this airline.
the fact that a lot of experience have been retired along with a lot of good people in the company, whoever is left has got to be desperate or unemployable elsewhere.
do yourself a favour and leave this failing airline or be caught up with a lot of dirty local politics as the remainders hustle for power and position. the way things are going, gf is fast becoming like iran air of worse, aseman or sudan air.

Chuck Y
23rd May 2010, 00:01
Well there is another rumor that the CP wants GF to get a couple of 777s & operate to the states!
Here we go again!?
brassplate, a quick question. When did you manage to plot your escape from GF?

behramjee
23rd May 2010, 02:18
Update on IATA Winter 2010 operations:

DAC - capacity reduced by 50% by replacing 12 weekly A 332s with A 320s.:rolleyes:

KTM - frequencies increased from 9 to 11 weekly flights but with using A 320s for all services instead of A 332s.:ok:

JED - no more A 343 service...all flights to be flown using an A 332.:ok:

MED - capacity increased from 4 weekly E70s to 4 weekly A 320s.:ok:

All of these above mentioned changes are officially available on all major GDS systems now!

Well there is another rumor that the CP wants GF to get a couple of 777s & operate to the states!

Operating nonstop BAH-USA-BAH will cause us massive losses. We would need to lease a minimum of 2 Boeing 777-200LRs which isnt enough for a sub fleet type for which 3-4 are required at least. As it is if we flew to USA, our flights will not connect in either direction to Iraq :=

No need to get B 777-300ERs as that aircraft type is way too big to meet our needs especially now that we have gone 2 class versus 3 class earlier on.

mkdar
23rd May 2010, 03:29
Behramjee
What is the GDS system and how can I access it? Thanx

behramjee
23rd May 2010, 03:50
GDS - Global Distribution System aka Sabre/Amadeus/Galileo

The general public cant access it. You can however check these changes on GF's website though. Click on the flight number and then a new window should pop up giving you the aircraft type used for the flight.

By the way concerning returning to USA...just a fyi Turkish Airlines will be launching new daily nonstop flights to Washington DC and Los Angeles effective Dec 1st 2010. Both routes will be flown daily using an A 332 to IAD and a B 77W to LAX operated nonstop from IST with UA code share!:D

Chuck Y
23rd May 2010, 11:00
Thanks for the Winter 2010 shed. It just proves that, as has been the case for years, that our commercial/marketing depts are a massive joke & really should be disbanded since they are just another useless expense. When will the Iraq flights be cancelled since we now have competition on them & we all know that none of the so called management have the know how to compete & all they know how to do is close routes? Any bets on what our route network will look like by Winter 2011?
"Gulf Air the world's most uninternational national carrier, bringing you more flights than any other carrier to out of the way destinations. We love to be cheap & it shows."
At least the good news is that no more Dac for the bigbus. Things are looking up!?

Icarus
23rd May 2010, 12:01
And of course that same dept. will actually believe you can operate an A320, sell all the seats and honour the carriage of a full load of passengers and their bags! This decision will make the EMB choice look good! I'll also place a side bet that the cargo dept. is highly pi55ed off too!

finalcall
23rd May 2010, 16:18
Here we go again!?

good after noon chaps,
not a bad idea. i have flown with qatar airways and emirates to USA and it was quiet difficult to get a seat for my family. long story short it is a good idea as pax demand for that continent is quiet high. I am not that familiar with the airbus fleet but cant the 333s(which may be arriving somewhere next year ) fy to USA ( non stop). at the same time having the 777s is a great idea.
and bahram jee makes a good point. GF will have to purchase or lease 3 to 4 777s. but it seem abit odd to purchase 4 aircraft just to fly to USA. what would seem logical is purchasing enough 777s for USA and the far east.

behramjee
23rd May 2010, 21:16
No sir...an A 333 cannot operate nonstop to USA from BAH. It is an aircraft capable of flying 9 hour nonstop flights maximum with a full payload.

However there is a new A 332 called the A 332HGW produced by Airbus of which Korean Air is the launch order with an order of 6 aircraft which can easily operate BAH-NYC nonstop with 240 pax on board. KE ordered this aircraft to fly lower density long haul trans-pacific USA routes to Seattle, Las Vegas + medium density nonstop flights to Central Europe such as Prague and Vienna.

I don't know which USA route of QR in particular you were trying to get a seat on as more often than not seats are easily available on their Houston and JFK nonstop flights:confused:. In fact fyi, JFK has been a huge failure for QR until April 2010 so much so that they reduced it from January 2010 from a daily B 77W to a daily B 77L as loads were pathetic. The most successful route for QR in USA is obviously IAD due to high volume J class traffic + major feed provided by UA.

However, its back to a daily B 77W now as DAC, CMB and KTM connect both ways conveniently via DOH to JFK which they were not previously hence!

I have flown 4 times IAD-DOH-IAD in QR J class in 08 and 09 and simply loved it. I had one of the better fillet mignon steaks on board an airplane flying QR :D It is an amazing airline to fly (far superior to Emirates in every possible manner except DOH airport duty free) ;)

behramjee
23rd May 2010, 21:20
I'll also place a side bet that the cargo dept. is highly pi55ed off too!

My question is for long serving GF employees on this forum. Remember in the mid 1990s, GF operated a small fleet of 2-3 Boeing 757-200 Freighters on regional routes where cargo demand was strong.

What ever happened to those freighters and was that business model profitable for the airline at that time?

Panama Jack
24th May 2010, 05:22
behramjee,

I understand that these 757's were sold to DHL Bahrain. One of these airframes was involved in the infamous mid-air collision with a TU-154 near Überlingen, Germany 1 July, 2002.

We have at least one Captain who was involved in that operation flying the 757.

Icarus
24th May 2010, 05:39
The 757 came from Ansett and it operated in conjunction (joint venture - JV) with DHL; CEO for DHL at the time became Head of Cargo for GF eventually before leaving to be CEO of Ethiopean Airlines.

The aircraft did BAH-SHJ-BRU if I remember correctly with the odd 'charter' or special flight - it took all the BCCI paper work/files to Europe from AUH for the court trial.

The aircraft was not designed for 'normal' cargo; the floor was not strengthened, it did not have a main deck bulk head of a type to allow dangerous goods either. It was an aircraft designed for the parcel services not your run of the mill general cargo; thus it was a bit of a loss leader for GF and hence the pull out of the JV with DHL. DHL did of course make it work for them.

Another "worthy business plan" from the brains that ran (and some still do) the airline at the time.

behramjee
24th May 2010, 10:50
EK flew an A 332 to KIX never an A 333 as it never had one. The longest A 332 flight is CDG-NRT I believe with AF. A 332s have a longer flying range capability versus the A 333 by approximately 3 more hours. Even TK used to use them on IST-ORD.

ironbutt57
24th May 2010, 16:15
The 757 was a "from the factory Package Freighter" 39 tonne payload...

obsidian
25th May 2010, 06:52
question;where is he gonna get the a320s and the captains to fly;dac,med and ktm when the older ones(e-series) are being retired/returned back..schedule seems insane..:ugh:

pinkpalace
25th May 2010, 11:13
Still no rosters.

Is it possible that this incompetent continues with this behavior and no one says anything?

Who is protecting him?

Does our CEO knows that this guy is unable even to drink a coffee?

Maybe they want a hot summer!

upset but pink! In the palace!

thegypsy
25th May 2010, 11:58
Icarus GF had just the one B757 freighter when I was at GF. I flew it as well as the B767.

Usual was as you say to BRU via Sharjah.

Two nights in the Brussels Hilton on excellent allowances thanks to Steve Coyle.

Always felt sorry for the DHL crews when we arrived in our shiny B757 around 3am after an easy 6 hour flight to see them halfway through a 4 sector night in a B727 or Electra. They all looked pasty faced and at deaths's door drinking soup from a machine in their crew room.

sirwa69
26th May 2010, 09:46
So is it still going to be an Embraer on the Larnaca route?

finalcall
26th May 2010, 16:29
hello chaps,
I have a couple of questions and it would be great if could answer those .does gulf air has the E-190 aircraft?
and i had thought that they learned that the embraer are not fit to go to Athens. And also why are the embraers always grounded? And it goes without saying that the airline is being mismanaged as 333s are arriving and no one cares to recreuit any pilots or FA according to a poor captain stuck in GF.
I think a good idea would be if any one of you who still works for GF get the news that they are being taken to the embraer should hand in their resignation letter. As i know that for a fact that it would ruin your flying life if you run after the jungle jets.The airline would of been in a better shape ,leaving the thing as they are and proceeding with the initial plan as morals of the employees are now record low due to number of different plans which includes shrinking the airline.

Panama Jack
28th May 2010, 07:05
Any information on what the Company's plans with respect to crewing the Embraer?

About a week ago I heard that they were approaching mid-seniority level FO's on the A320. Then I heard they are hitting high-seniority widebody FO's again, leaving FO's at all seniority ranges nervous and anxious in its wake. No clear policy announcement from the Company either on career progression after one gets sent to the Embraer, including issues of career progression after a possible upgrade on the type or those who do not upgrade.

Unfortunately, this means that pilots who are otherwise happy at Gulf Air are eyeing other companies because of uncertainty about their future career path. People love to read mysteries, not live them. Dialogue, discussion and clear details about career progression would do a lot to dissolve these fears.

Am I right with the impression that the last pilot meeting was while Chris Cain was still COO?

rumrunner69
28th May 2010, 09:31
I am a high seniority FO on the 330/340 and I have tried everything to get out of this EMB course including high level emails all to no avail. I am forced on the next course. You do not have the right to refuse the course and must sign a 10000 BD bond. The upgrade policy is as per OMA. I have this in writing.:ugh:

Strangeday
28th May 2010, 18:15
I think it´s about time to have an informative pilot meeting. Just to clarify which is going to be the plan (if there is any), which "seniority" is going to be consider for the fleet plan, because seems to change with the wind direction.

The last meeting was on November, if I am not wrong, and we were told that Meetings were going to be held every 3 months.
Let´s see if the 3rd floor guys agenda could have the chance for it.

DesertHawk
29th May 2010, 04:48
just curious has anyone actually walked in and sat down with the HOFO? i was told he is being very straight forward if u take the time to sit down with him. anyways a clear policy would be nice but sometimes i think they are just trying to make it day by day. :ok:

esopees
29th May 2010, 09:57
It would be quite interesting to have a pilots meeting, at least just to calm the cockpit-radio conversations:ok:

Mephistopheles
29th May 2010, 15:26
Not a single one of the Ops managers has any idea what the plans are for GF hence they can only plan on a day to day basis. The total lack of communication from the CEO leaves everyone stumbling around in the dark. The only thing that is for sure is that Mr Majali is doing his best for us to sign up for as many Embraers as possible & could not care less about the running of GF.
Also a little birdy told me that with the recent divestment of Iraqi Airways the powers that be might jump on the band wagon & are thinking that could be the best option for GF.

Panama Jack
29th May 2010, 21:12
You are not too far off, Mephistopheles.

As I understand it, the Government has made it very clear that they are expecting certain financial performance targets to be reached (a significant reduction of losses) otherwise they will euthanize the Falcon. Consequently, we are seeing Management scramble to find and implement ways and methods to reduce costs . . . techniques which, IMHO, should have been adopted YEARS ago (but the Company was too comfortable or unmotivated, or both).

There are a number of companies who have met their end this way. Unfortunately, what I perceive as the major obstacle is the corporate culture and mentality. For one, some people just don't believe it could happen. Secondly, the experience of working a lean and efficient operation just isn't there. I see real effort being made by the Company, but in the end, changing behavior and mindsets is probably one of the most difficult things to do. But in this area, Gulf Air seemingly hasn't addressed the most fundamental concept-- getting employee buy-in. Communication (of the two-way type) is inconsistent and infrequent. Without buy-in, no amount of directives or instructions will have a long-lasting, positive effect. It seems (to me) to be an essential ingredient to any successful corporate turn-around.

esopees
30th May 2010, 04:14
WE SHOULD DEMAND A PILOT MEETING, NOW!!!!!!!!!!

there is no way that this can go on without seeing the faces of our managers telling us they dont know what's going on?

or do they?.........:ugh:

Why doesnt the current COO organise a meeting, at least Cris Cain did so!
what are u hiding? .

The pilots have historically been very insistent in knowing how our airline is doing. As Well prepared people who only defend their value on the market. How much are we worth? we are worth our experience plus TR which we gain through work, which often is contaminated by bad habits of our superiors (and even sometimes by ourselves). to within a certain ignorance of the situation of our airline, we can accept, but there comes a time when the situation becomes unsustainable.
It necesary to inform us of what they know and do not know. It is important, because the result of these meetings is simply a greater respect for the companies. Knowing that our superior tells us, is important.VERY IMPORTANT. Think about it Mr. COO, wouldn't you like a meeting if I was the COO?:confused:
340FO

Chuck Y
30th May 2010, 18:58
The idea of the Bahrain government liquidating Gulf Air has been floated a few times before but,as was posted, it has now become a very real & possible option since the Iraqis have just done it in order to regroup & if it proves to be successful for them then Bahrain will follow suit. That is probably the reason for no comms from the CEO.
Demand a pilot meeting? What for? No one, not even the CEO will give it to us straight.

40&80
30th May 2010, 20:44
I notice they gave it (straight by their standards) via Email to the over age 60 Captains.

finalcall
31st May 2010, 21:25
I started running a small business ( which i cannot not mention for the security of my identity) five years ago. and the thing that i have learned is:
1. good communication with the employee allows the workers to understand the current situation that the company is facing.
2. Its not that you make the profit .But it how you make that profit.
for example :I flew with Gf in Y class from LHR to bahrain. I was shocked that only dinner was served while the passengers were left hungry as they were hoping for breakfast. And it was obviously another cost cutting scheme.But the thing they can do to cut costs is by learning from other airlines. as when UPS has made a procedure when a plane starts its starts coming for an approach, the engines are kept on idle to reduce wastage of fuel and the plane some what glides.
I have forgotten the name given to the procedure.

ShirleyNot
1st Jun 2010, 03:50
were you top of your class at school Mr finalcall? WOW what a bright spark:ugh:

esopees
1st Jun 2010, 13:31
PILOT MEETING:ok:

finalcall
2nd Jun 2010, 14:09
No Shirley i was not.fyi , i joined gulf air in the 90s as a first officer. i also have a bachelor degree in business management and was anticipating to get a chance to work in the business department with gulf air. due to some personal issues and issues with the job security , i left GF to join QR ( again as a first officer). i was given a great opportunity to start a small company . As a pilot ,it was a great opportunity to see the world and build up some connections which helped me develop a small business.

obsidian
4th Jun 2010, 09:24
whats the point of a pilots meeting?! they know they are ruining everyones life,and they dont care...:{

finalcall
4th Jun 2010, 13:18
Actually you could have bought a big business in the UK and waited a few years and you would have then had a small business.
it would shrivel up like a raisin to be exact. sorry that my last post was very irrelevant as i forgot to add something.
The reason that there are no words from the upper management may be:
1. Perhaps majali is about to go . Think of it, why do they need a Bahraini deputy CEO?
2.The plan is undergoing drastic changes and it takes alot of time to make statistical values for a new plan.
3.:the management are trying to keep the staff in the dark as they do not want lose them in one go.because the airline is going through sever cost cutting.

Its quiet ironic to talk to the gulf air pilots. Last year, a chap was excited as he may have a chance to get promoted to the 330-300. and we all know what is going on now.

esopees
6th Jun 2010, 08:28
Post for the managers that say that they don'y read PPRUNE!!! but they ALL do.:D
Dont remain in silence, just for the sake of achieving good BD's at the end of the month.
PILOT MEETING
:ok:
Just do it.:D

SandShovel
6th Jun 2010, 15:42
+1 for PILOT MEETING:}

boeingcrap
7th Jun 2010, 23:18
whoever switched the lights back on after i left? ok, once again...last one out, turn off the lights plssssssss:ugh::ugh:

Sultan85
8th Jun 2010, 09:27
PILOT MEETING :D:D:D

slowjet
8th Jun 2010, 15:35
We all turned off the lights. Car Wash boys keep turning them back on again. Inept Management do not know how to turn lights on or off. But that is what you get when you get into and stay in GF Management based on "who" you know, rather than "What you know". Absolutely no hope now for this silly little flying club. Get out well you can chaps.

samjetblaster
9th Jun 2010, 08:03
After reading all the latest developments and how low GF is heading, everyone calls out for a Pilot meeting and still complain about the situation with A.A. from rostering. In my opinion, if most pilots were real men and had the guts, then everyone should stand up, be firm and get together and demand answers. I know it is difficult in the current situation where there is a feeling of if one opens their mouth, God knows if you will still have a job..but if people unite and stand together, perhaps management will realise that they can't play around any longer...We are not speaking of not flying on days off, etc...The fact of the matter is calling every pilot to a meeting and everyone available standing firm and really having their say.

Panama Jack
10th Jun 2010, 11:40
We Gulf Air-fellas
We fly higher than weather
And she flys it better. . . . . . . . .

When the sun shines, we'll shine together
Told you I'll be here forever
Said I'll always be a friend
Took an oath, I'ma stick it out till the end

Now that it's raining more than ever
Know that we'll still have each other
You can stand under my Embraer
You can stand under my Embraer

(Ella ella, eh eh eh)
Under my Embraer
(Ella ella, eh eh eh)
Under my Embraer
(Ella ella, eh eh eh)
Under my Embraer
(Ella ella, eh eh eh, eh eh eh)

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/images/news/0513rihanna.jpg

samjetblaster
12th Jun 2010, 20:48
One of my mates informed me today that it is posted on the Crew Aims system of Gulf Air, that there is a message to crew of "HIGH" importance, that the CSM operating out of LHR on GF 002 everyday, should bring back copies of Daily Mail etc...My question is..why is bringing back a tabloid newspaper such as Daily Mail of highest priority? Who is benefiting from this? How low can one stoop to request such stuff on a professional crew web site? This is amazing!

Da Do Ron Ron
13th Jun 2010, 15:12
Daily Mail vs the GDN ....

No contest really :rolleyes:

brassplate
14th Jun 2010, 06:33
we want
PILOT MEETING

when do we want it
NOW

Desert_Storm
16th Jun 2010, 13:09
Emirates is desperately looking for new pilots (F/O and perhaps DEC). What are you guys waiting for? I can understand that losing seniority could be very inconvenient but that´s better than a wellfare check, isn´t it. Guys, please, don´t wait for the Titanic to finally sink because it inevitably will. Good luck gentlemen.

SandShovel
16th Jun 2010, 17:25
Damn, another smart a**. Everyone knows about the current career opportunities in the Gulf region.
P.S. Ur statment sounds more like from someone at the bottom of the SL, trying to get higher.:rolleyes: "Guys, please, leave....":} i guess GF pilots are not that stupid, that they cann't decide what to do themselves

Desert_Storm
17th Jun 2010, 02:34
Damn, another smart a**. Everyone knows about the current career opportunities in the Gulf region.
P.S. Ur statment sounds more like from someone at the bottom of the SL, trying to get higher.:rolleyes: "Guys, please, leave...."http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif i guess GF pilots are not that stupid, that they cann't decide what to do themselves
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=5757379) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5757379&noquote=1)
wow, take it easy my friend. Just trying to be proactive. But you know what, keep playing the violin while the ship is sinking moreover, I don´t give a rat a** about GF SL or yourself habibi since I don´t work for the fallen falcon.

Not Gulfair CEO
17th Jun 2010, 09:10
Desert If you dont work for Gulf air then I dont understand your interest in trying to make every one leave, If you have left GF then just keep telling your self that you did the right decision.

surfer of desert
17th Jun 2010, 09:19
Lets see what happens after world cup:ok:....for the time been evertything is not that important,,,,:)

40&80
18th Jun 2010, 10:01
When England get knocked out...I fully expect their manager to be hired as the new CEO at Gulf Air.

evilatp
20th Jun 2010, 23:13
Not quite as good as a pilot meeting:

Open Forum
When:Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:00 PM-6:00 PM. Location:CEO conf. room, 3rd floor, wing D

SandShovel
21st Jun 2010, 16:58
Are we going to start ops to Kabul?:}:O

T O G A Boy
22nd Jun 2010, 16:57
Thats possible and with Tora Bora as an alternate

finalcall
22nd Jun 2010, 18:32
Since JH is leaving etihad , they are looking for more CEOs. guess who is trying to apply for the vacant position.
Bjorn naf and Samer majali.
Surprising ? No.
I think that the old rumors that the mr m was leaving were true.
I apologize for being racist , but it is about time that we get a English CEO who knows what he is doing.And has the degree to prove it.
Cheers.

Desert_Storm
22nd Jun 2010, 18:39
Desert If you dont work for Gulf air then I dont understand your interest in trying to make every one leave, If you have left GF then just keep telling your self that you did the right decision

I think you get me all wrong. I have no interest whatsoever for you guys to leave gulf air but let me tell you why I wrote what I wrote: Some years ago, I had the privilege of undergoing one of the toughest assessments a pilot can undergo with you guys. During that process, I also met really great people and colleages and yes, in case you are wondering, I passed my assessment and joined GF as an F/O (this for all the as%$%les who always think they are the only ones who made it and the only ones who have the skills to join companies in the middle east ok). So, having wrote that, I still have very good friends there, guys who have been striving all this years in order to keep the boat afloat, pleople who naively believed and perhaps, still believe all the crap (lies) that comes from the pink palace and people who, by all means, do not deserve to be let down now but guess what, that falcon is agonizing and you, my friend, you unfortunatelly will be unemployed in the near future because the ship is mortally wounded but, like the violin dudes in thbe titanic, refuse to understand reality. Nevertheless, I manage to scape from the middle east nightmare some time ago and now I am flying in Europe so, and again, I don{t have any particular interest whether you guys stay or go, but I hurts my heart to see my friends hanging on the line and facing a very uncertain future. Good luck and just hope you understand now my point. :ok:

Atebis
22nd Jun 2010, 20:54
WOW!! (desert Storm) EUROPE!!??!!

Enjoy the under paid job and taxes! Keep telling yourself you did the right thing. I think South America is hiring---they pay less.

SandShovel
23rd Jun 2010, 08:30
"had the privilege of undergoing one of the toughest assessments a pilot can undergo..........I passed my assessment and joined GF as an F/O (this for all the as%$%les who always think they are the only ones who made it and the only ones who have the skills to join companies in the middle east" :}:D They were taking almost everyone who came on an interview:rolleyes:

flytoparis
25th Jun 2010, 18:20
Hey guys,

anyone went to this forum??? What is the plan, flying a mixed fleet of E170 and Dash8? Is the A380 order on the table finally?

Anyone?

paris

RJ900NG
26th Jun 2010, 01:00
Will gulf air start hiring again any time soon

Chuck Y
26th Jun 2010, 09:49
So where were all of you guys that were demanding a pilots' meeting??? That's is the problem with all of us here, we are all very big mouthed & brave in crew rooms or on pprune but when it comes time to crunch time we all run for cover.
Nice one guys!!!
Anyway you will get an email of the minutes of the meeting at some point.

sharpcommand
26th Jun 2010, 18:19
Haven't posted here for many, many months.
If fact its the same old problems that have gone on for years
1. Poor staff morale due to rotten/inapt management from the board down, run by jobs for the boys who would not dare rock the boat as most live in fear. Keep your mouth shut and take the pay check each month...well it pays the mortgage/pays the first wife,school fees etc.This doesn't just apply to pilots its the same for most sections
2.But for you guys who think all thing will come good if you have a pilots meeting, think again (for those who turn up) as nothing really changes in this company as long as I can remember, it been tumbling along with no real sense of where its going.
3. Why is it you've had so many CEO over the years.
They see the light and move on !
I think all of you should consider where you go from here but one must remember it can be awfully cold out there
4. Perhaps they should shut it down and start afresh ...most unlikely to happen as to many hands in the till

Best of luck to all you guys !

borrowed light
26th Jun 2010, 19:03
Oh dear Sharp Command, please use your spell checker.I see your profile indicates you are "in London" however your command of the language really is quite awful.If you wish to be taken seriously perhaps it would help if you would write your posts a little more eloquently.

Yo767
27th Jun 2010, 00:08
Oh dear Sharp Command, please use your spell checker.I see your profile indicates you are "in London" however your command of the language really is quite awful.If you wish to be taken seriously perhaps it would help if you would write your posts a little more eloquently.

Dear borrowed light, your punctuation sucks hard. You have to work on that last sentence.

A french speaking Canadian

borrowed light
27th Jun 2010, 07:51
Yo767,I stand corrected.Thankyou.

behramjee
28th Jun 2010, 00:55
question...I am moving from Toronto to Bahrain (GF) and my BAH work visa application has been pending since June 17th now.

My question is how long does it take usually for the local govt officials to issue work visas for expats?

pinkpalace
28th Jun 2010, 10:04
Hi behramjee,
usually if you work for GF they provide to sponsor your VISA.

As soon as you reach BAH Int'l you pass through a dedicated row where they take your employer's letter and scan your fingerprint.

They stamp a temporary VISA on your passport and after few days you have to go to LMRA (Labour Ministry Office) to get your final VISA for 2/3 years renewable.

This should be the new procedure but it's better if some new joiner can confirm you because when I did was completely different.

Enjoy The Kingdom.

pink.

behramjee
28th Jun 2010, 13:18
thanks for the info:ok:

am joining GF so its all good! am flying YYZ-LHR-BAH on British Airways most likely.

i am staying at the al safir hotel...how is it? the after few days will be renting a condo in Juffair area fully furnished:)

pinkpalace
28th Jun 2010, 13:59
I've never been in Al Safir Hotel but I know where is.

I can't give you details about rooms, etc but the area is good special for new joiners. You have many restaurants and night clubs around and it's easy to reach the airport.

I live in Juffair, I don't know if is the best place in Bahrain but It's ok.

You can also consider Amwaj Islands (8 km. from the airport) or Budaya, little bit far but with good compounds.

The only thing I can suggest you is to see many places before you sign a contract, anyway there's an housing department in GF that can be helpful if you need contact numbers with real estate company.

I suggest you to invest 1 BD and buy the local newspaper Gulf Daily where you can find plenty informations about real estate.

There are few canadians in Gulf Air and I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy The Kingdom.

Welcome to Fantasy Island.

Pink.

Chuck Y
28th Jun 2010, 15:28
BD1 for the GDN!!!