PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air Developments

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Mephistopheles
5th Nov 2011, 12:12
The biggest problem in GF is that the management from the COO down are unwilling to stand up the other depts & the CEO. Whenever a new route is planned or new aircraft are ordered they just say that they can manage the situation-as we can see all too well!- and allow the pilots/crews to be screwed even harder. All of this because their lazy useless bums have gotten so used to their chairs & the wives are happily spending their over inflated pay checks. And at the end of the days it's us that suffer with ridiculous duty times/blocks, canceled leaves, called to fly on days off.
I suggest we all stop helping them & only fly our rosters then maybe we will get some repsect.

buba
6th Nov 2011, 01:07
I don't think hardly anybody flys their rosters..'you have changes to your schedule wich you have not been advised of'

Good Day
7th Nov 2011, 03:17
Hey guys wright now I have grand tt of 500 includding 200 turboprop mtw of 13000lbs as FO. Also flying irregular rooster. Any chances for me to join gulf air now? Btw every company has its issues, even if you would be flying for klm, ba or lh there is alsways something to complain about...
thanks for the opinion

ironbutt57
7th Nov 2011, 05:15
They haven't recruited "non-jet" in quite a few years...but keep your interest one never knows

flyjuly
7th Nov 2011, 07:04
hi guyz im new hear thinking to join gulfiar need some info about rumors i here is it true you have 8000 dinar bond when you join and only 2 year temporary contract, also is bahrain like i see on news with guns and stuff

thank you

John21UK
10th Nov 2011, 01:30
@ Good Day,

It's rated pilots only with a minimum of 500hrs on type only IIRC. Sorry.

GF is looking into an operational expansion into India with operations to several new destinations for 2012.
Source: Gulf Daily News (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=316853)

ODMEA
11th Nov 2011, 01:04
New IFE is great BUT WHEN are the A330's (?A340's) going to get the NEW Falcon Gold Class.

A320 new Business Class is Pathetic when compared to QR and EY on same aircraft....GF is crazy to ignore the competition offerings and AT LEAST equal it.

It's almost like there is someone at GF intentionally sabotaging it so it never quite matches the competition.:bored:

GF's hard product has always been its achilies heel. Not since James Hogan(love him or hate him) and the new F , J cabins, BAH Lounge, chef and sky nannys has GF done anything to fix its hard product - its WEAKEST link.:ugh:

John21UK
11th Nov 2011, 04:47
Having never been on their A320's, is the Business Class product different than what's offered on the Embraer's? (besides the 2+2 seating)

John21UK
12th Nov 2011, 14:39
Regarding GF's Manila flights, how are they performing?

Just read an article with the following quote;"...urged Manila to review its Common Carrier Tax (3 percent of the gross receipts) and 2.5-percent Gross Philippine Billings Tax on all cargo and passenger revenue originating from the Philippines in an uninterrupted flight, regardless of the place of sale or issue of a ticket.

“The Philippines is the only country that charges such taxes,” ... said.

“By contrast, other Asian countries offer incentives to foreign carriers. There has been an exodus of foreign carriers, primarily long-haul, from the Philippines for a number of years.

The Philippines will start charging carriers a 12-percent value-added tax on crew accommodations on Nov. 1.

On Aug. 11, the International Air Transport Association wrote the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines to urge it not to increase its telecommunications charges on foreign airlines.

Copyright Manila Standard Today 2005-2009, article dated 11-11-2011.

Will this have any implication on GF's operation? If the route is performing marginal this might just be the last drop.

Che Guevara
13th Nov 2011, 20:25
Don't forget: ":) happy employees = :) happy customers = :) happy shareholders"

Who comes up with this stuff?

Panama Jack
14th Nov 2011, 03:30
@ Che Guevara

http://inspirationalnews.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/happy_cow_large.jpg?w=158&h=198

Happy cows give better milk.

40&80
14th Nov 2011, 10:20
That cow certainly did not go to the company dentist.

John21UK
15th Nov 2011, 13:18
Anyway, back to topic. New for summer 2012 SEEMS to be Amsterdam with a 2 or 3 times a week service. GF has been awarded their requested slots at AMS. Being awarded slots means nothing by itself but where there's smoke there's fire. Equipment is most likely going to be a PrivatAir 73G.

flyjuly
16th Nov 2011, 17:18
i have now firme confirmatian from one person inside compani, 320 anyway contract 2 year temporari 8000 dinar bond also i herd that flight blocs geting bad only turn or deadheding and operating back can i plese have confirmation, i have to choose betwen qatar and gulfair

Mephistopheles
19th Nov 2011, 06:42
flyjuly, if I were you I would go to Qatar. We know its not perfect there but at least its better than GF. Morale here is dropping daily due to the inept way we are all being overworked due to severe lack of planning & management from the people upstairs. Things will only get worse since this leads to more resignations hence we get even shorter on crews & the cycle is complete. The management have seen fit to cancel a large number of pilots leave recently which has ialso had a dramatic effect on crew morale(I have flown with plenty of guys that have had leave cancelled & is really is not conductive to good CRM in the cockpit). Despite all of this the COO & DFO seem oblivious to this & care very little about what is actually going on.
Choose wiserly my friend since I believe that GF doesn't have much of a future compared to the rest of the airlines in the region, sure it will always be around but it will just be a tiny badly run regional carrier.

Landflap
19th Nov 2011, 09:04
Aaah, welcome back the old Meph. Absolutely right except for one point. The COO & DFO are NOT oblivious. They know, full well, what is going on but can't do much. Even in these directive & controlling positions, hands are tied. So, they just sit back & calculate the bonuses paid for towing the line.In my part of the world, managerial power is given. Get it wrong, you will be fired. In your part of the world, where it matters who you know, real power never given but controlled, a strangled and fearful management will never succeed. But then you know all that, Meph, and clearly back on top form. A delight to read, albeit a bit sad.

repapips
21st Nov 2011, 07:54
flyjuly, if I were you I would go to Qatar. We know its not perfect there but at least its better than GF. Morale here is dropping daily due to the inept way we are all being overworked due to severe lack of planning & management from the people upstairs. Things will only get worse since this leads to more resignations hence we get even shorter on crews & the cycle is complete. The management have seen fit to cancel a large number of pilots leave recently which has ialso had a dramatic effect on crew morale(I have flown with plenty of guys that have had leave cancelled & is really is not conductive to good CRM in the cockpit). Despite all of this the COO & DFO seem oblivious to this & care very little about what is actually going on.
Choose wiserly my friend since I believe that GF doesn't have much of a future compared to the rest of the airlines in the region, sure it will always be around but it will just be a tiny badly run regional carrier.

hit it in the head, meph! it seems truer and truer by the day...

John21UK
22nd Nov 2011, 08:12
A320 sharklets, any use for GF? Link to flightglobal (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airbus-rolls-out-test-a320-with-sharklets-installed-365108/)
A up to 3.5% reduction in fuel burn on 3000nm sectors and increase takeoff performance by up to 3 tonnes, Airbus claims.

mamamia
22nd Nov 2011, 09:10
does any body care no it only us who care

mamamia
22nd Nov 2011, 09:12
gulf air are losing alot of pilot

Mephistopheles
28th Nov 2011, 18:05
Just flew with a young F/O & he informed me that they are being instructed by some of the local Captains not to fly, under any circumstances, on their days off. That's all very well & good & I couldn't disagree too much with their plans but then he went onto explain their "demands" which are getting rid of the entire Ops management & more money. That's wonderful, & who am I to censure these fellow professionals, although it does seem a bit excessive & sordid. Maybe it's just my old age & healthy cynicism, but it just appears to me to be another attempt by some office seeking wanna be's to barge their way into the office & meanwhile disturb my roster daily! So now not only do we have to stomach management abuse but we must also take it from our colleagues. Just keeps getting better here?

mutt
28th Nov 2011, 19:45
I see that you are starting routes to Taif, Gassim and Yanbu in Saudi...... Two of these are uncontrolled airports at certain times. Out of curiosity, what other uncontrolled airports do you operate to?

Mutt

mutt
29th Nov 2011, 15:26
Olbie, has anyone explained the requirements of TIBA to you? If not, it might be a good idea to check with your safety department and get them to issue information to crew, otherwise you can expect "descent to FL 150, below that follow TIBA".........

It would also be sensible if they advise you how to obtain ATC clearance prior to departure.

Mutt

Che Guevara
29th Nov 2011, 16:46
Out of curiosity, what other uncontrolled airports do you operate to?

Would you accept Bombay for starters? Or is that, out of control?

Cheers

HPIC
8th Dec 2011, 20:38
I have heard and read several different things about Gulf Air captain salary lately. What is the current starting salary for Gulf Air Embraer captain?

Calmcavok
8th Dec 2011, 21:13
For a married Capt with no children, approx 4400BD per month with allowances.

safelife
8th Dec 2011, 21:25
Is it my math or is QR's FO salary higher than that?

WELCO
8th Dec 2011, 21:48
QR captain starts at 4,200 approx.

mamamia
11th Dec 2011, 11:20
Gulf air are pissing its folks :\ as the company reqruiting direct entry captains 5 of it management pilots are on leave in december.As the company is short they reqruiting from every corner in the world hope every pilot in this company having their X and new year wishes for next year good luck folks:ok:

GAME OVER
13th Dec 2011, 13:26
Hi everyone, I just heard that the CEO submitted his resignation and his deputy is taking over :confused:

MaffiFaloos
13th Dec 2011, 15:25
Dear old Gulf Air, it never misses an opportunity to shoot itself in the head. Bad aircraft through to unbelievably inept management. The downward spiral continues, lets hope that passengers and crew do not have to pay for such gross incompetence and negligence with their lives. Wishful thinking, "more than likely", this clattering train has no driver, no morals and no ethics. Very very sad.

MaffiFaloos
14th Dec 2011, 09:25
Word from the Pink Palace is that our CEO has just resigned. We will see if it is true and what brain surgeon we get to replace him. Back to long haul or maybe turbo props. Load the gun GF, time to blow the brains out again.........

EK2EYengineer
14th Dec 2011, 12:23
Bunch of lies

Che Guevara
14th Dec 2011, 16:16
One thing I learnt during my time in GF was that the rumour tree was often fairly accurate, I certainly wouldn't discount this one so readily.

jackx123
15th Dec 2011, 07:49
spot on che. almost 100% of the time the R mill turned out accurate :ok:

Panama Jack
15th Dec 2011, 09:10
Samer Majali was at the Majlis about an hour ago. He spoke about the year 2011 in review, and the challenges ahead in 2012 and beyond for the airline.

He also had a bit of a chuckle about some of the rumors floating around.

When asked point blank by an employee about his departure he denied it by smiling and saying "no, just another rumour."

Radar Contact
15th Dec 2011, 09:32
Gulf Air CEO Samer Majali confirms during an internal meeting that he is not leaving.

Panama Jack
15th Dec 2011, 13:58
Well, since the last few posts of this very long thread have touched on the topic of "regime change," I thought the following article which I got in my in-box today might be both thought provoking and pertinent:

Finding the ideal airline CEO for our times (http://www.airlineleader.com/this-months-highlights/finding-the-ideal-airline-ceo-for-our-times)

Tough job!

Che Guevara
15th Dec 2011, 15:41
Interesting article PJ. One can only wish that there were more Herb Kellehers in the world to protect our professional futures.

ironbutt57
16th Dec 2011, 04:03
Yup he was one-of-a-kind for sure, SWA very successful, and it proves that putting your employees first motivates them to do the best job possible..:ok:

Yo767
16th Dec 2011, 15:10
http://photos.state.gov/libraries/embassy/231771/2011pd/DemonstrationNoticeDec15.pdf

John21UK
16th Dec 2011, 17:54
I wouldn't even call them demonstrations. Just mostly some useless youngsters deliberately trying to wreck the country. They propably don't even have a clue why they are doing what they are doing. Anyway, enough said. :{

John21UK
24th Dec 2011, 12:23
Back on topic. No real 'new' news just interesting reading material. First A321 delivery in March 2012?
Gulf Air cancels eight 787s, continues fleet negotiations

21-11-2011, Bahrain

Gulf Air (GF) is in discussions with Airbus and Boeing to change its widebody aircraft order to narrowbodies and reschedule deliveries.

CEO Samer Majali confirmed the carrier reduced its 787 order by eight aircraft earlier this year, which “lessened the company’s liabilities enormously. We expect to achieve further deferrals and changes to the widebody orders,” Majali told ATW during the Arab Air Carriers Organization’s AGM in Abu Dhabi last week.

Majali was appointed CEO in August 2009 to address the carrier’s weak financial condition. His three-year restructuring plan includes finalizing widebody order changes and shifting GF’s network strategy from long-haul routes to a more regionally focused network.

The loss-making carrier embarked on a major fleet acquisition campaign in 2008 and signed contracts for 24 787s, 15 Airbus A320 family aircraft and 20 A330-300s (ATW Daily News, Aug. 25, 2009). Four A330s have been exchanged for 10 A320s/A321s, but negotiations on further changes to the A330 order are taking longer than expected, Majali said. The carrier hopes to have a more concrete announcement at the Bahrain International Airshow next month.

Majali did not go into detail on GF’s plans to order 10 regional jets with either Bombardier or Embraer. “We are looking for regional jets as part of new network strategy,” he said, without confirming or denying reports that the carrier’s shareholder had awarded $328 million regional jet tender to Bombardier. GF added two new Embraer 170s and two E-190s last year.

Majali said the carrier will not reach its financial targets for 2011 because of the impact of political and social unrest in the region, and specifically in Bahrain. He said passenger numbers dropped by 30% in the second quarter because foreigners avoided Bahrain, and operations to Iran and Iraq were suspended by the government.

“We lost two of our three main markets. We were planning to expand with a further four destinations in 2012, but flights to both countries are still frozen,” he said. To compensate for the lost routes, GF launched several new destinations, including Copenhagen, Rome, Geneva and Nairobi. “Load factors are good but these new routes are not as lucrative as the frozen ones,” Majali said.

GF expects to carry about 5 million passengers this year, on par with 2010 but “yield was down significantly,” he said.

For 2012, Majali expects increases in passengers and yield without sharp fuel price hikes.

“We have to be and are optimistic for next year. We will continue realigning Gulf Air with the strategic interest of Bahrain and providing access to the country and the region,” he said.

Che Guevara
25th Dec 2011, 09:26
Did the BDB or GAA guarantee them jobs when they finished their training, and if so, who with and within what time frame?
Or were they all taken for a ride?

Iver
25th Dec 2011, 13:54
Shame to hear about the 787 reduction. They will probably be money-makers once they arrive and are put into the system (replace older Airbus A330s). Anyone know if this pushes back first delivery of the 787 at GF? When is/was the first 787 supposed to arrive?

John21UK
25th Dec 2011, 17:42
@ rid3r. The grace period you mentioned is for 2 years max from getting your degree. If you fail to secure a flying job it's tough luck and you have to come u with a re-payment plan that suits your current income.

That 50000BD is low compared to what some of us paid to get into the right seat....:(
Going rate nowadays in Holland is 85000BD with no job security and a 7-8% interest rate. Like job security ever existed!

Panama Jack
26th Dec 2011, 11:18
Looks like there may be some good news coming for former GF Employees, according to an e-mail distributed today:

Dear colleagues,

In our continuous efforts to providing enhanced level of internal customer service, in Quarter One 2011 we introduced the new staff travel benefits and entitlements for employees, dependants and their extended families.

Today we are pleased to announce that we have revised the staff travel benefits for former employees as well, who have served the company for years. Besides, our former colleagues will now be able to access their staff travel benefits online through our new website portal https://formerst.gulfair.com

Former colleagues, whether living in Bahrain or any part of the world can access the portal and make use their benefits.

This will be effective from 01st of January 2012. The website contains details of the revised staff travel policy and the guide.

Please communicate this message to our former colleagues when you come across them. A separate communication is being sent to outstations.

Best Regards

Hassan Rasheed
Senior Manager Employee Services
Gulf Air - Human Resources

John21UK
27th Dec 2011, 05:23
@ rid3R. I was talking about Holland. The 2 years grace period starts from the day you graduate.

Anyone heard more about these EFB's and new destination to be announced shortly? I pressume during the airshow in JAN...?

slycamel
27th Dec 2011, 11:17
Just another way of screwing whoever was working for them ,even after they're gone.

Gordomac
28th Dec 2011, 09:20
Panamajack, thanks very much for passing this on. I was booted out of GF in July 2009. Came here to Cyprus & the system works quite well. You Register with a local Office & deal with them, thereafter. There is, however, no comminication. You would think that Staff Travel would tell all local Offices who would then inform all who are registered. Oooops, forgot, this is the GF we know & love. I will be accessing the new site & will pass on the info to any ex GF chaps in the pub. (well, on this, the rock'n roll side of Larnaca there are none. Pahos side (slippers & Come Dancing) there are quite a few ! ).Really appreciate the info & happy New Year to all ex buddies.

John21UK
28th Dec 2011, 11:14
Anyone read the article in the GDN about Majali leaving according to MP's and GF having to be run by a local Bahraini? Majali's denying he's leaving but change is supposed to be coming next year.

Icarus
28th Dec 2011, 16:09
Gulf Daily News » Local News » Resignation report denied by Gulf Air (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=320483)

"In other developed countries nationals tend to get those posts, but in Bahrain it is always expatriates.

This is far from true - for a very long period the CEO position was taken by a GCC national from the (then) owner states; the last Expats were of course J Hogan, [interim Bahrani], Andre Dose (very short tenure), Bjorn Naff and now Majali. Prior to Hogan a Bahraini was the CEO. Hence there have been significantly more 'locals' in the leadership role than expats, certainly over the last 25-30 years. And I am not so sure that all the majors consistently have their own nationals at the front either - BA certainly hasn't/had't for quite some time. Maybe the MP's need a little education on this matter before making such erroneous statements.

MaffiFaloos
28th Dec 2011, 19:25
Didn't somebody say that rumours of the CEO's departure was ALL LIES???:=

Panama Jack
29th Dec 2011, 03:39
@ Gordomac- glad to hear that you are enjoying your well-deserved retirement. :ok:

John21UK
30th Dec 2011, 04:20
Interesting article today in the Gulf Daily News:

The airline has become essentially a regional carrier with a few add-ons.

Gulf Daily News » News Details » Comment (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=320541)

Che Guevara
30th Dec 2011, 08:27
Maybe the time has come to close shop, merge with someone, and develop the low cost medium to long haul model, a la Singapore Airline's 'Scoot' or Air Asia? Or, simply roll over and fade away....

30th Dec 2011, 09:58
Gordomac Whish you a Happy New Year glad tou are doing well ;)

slycamel
31st Dec 2011, 10:34
Dear All,
In Gulf Air continuous efforts to improve the benefits to our former employees, as a core component of our new strategy; we are pleased to announce that effective 01st of January 2012 the new FORMER Gulf Air employee entitlements will be implemented online through our website Former staff travel (https:\\formerst.gulfair.com) (https://formerst.gulfair.com/) to serve our employees remotely. You still need to follow the guide to access and validate the information (check with Gulf Air offices at outstations, Staff Travel at head quarter or visit Gulf Air Former Web site).
A new revised policy of both entitlements and eligible members will replace the current policy benefits.
All staff travel concessions at End of Service (Former) and with Effective (01st of January 2011) will be replaced with the new entitlements based on years of service:
a) Minimum qualified period is 20+ years, disregards to the grades.
b) Eligible members are (Employee, Spouse and Children under 24 years of age and a maximum of 4 Children)
c) The benefit continues for a period of time equivalent to 50% of the number of completed years of continues service at the time the employee leaves the company.
d) Total of One EST (End of Service Ticket), Two ID50 and Two ID90 only in Economy cabin in Z sub-class per annum.
The new End of Service Policy has been designed in a simplified matrix according to the years of service and removes any discrimination and inconsistency in which will provide the employees an advance/enhanced tool to access their staff travel benefits and entitlements.
For Former Employees with more than 20 years of continues service at time of leaving Gulf Air, please revisit Gulf Air Outlets (HDQ-Staff Travel & Outstations) to review the new policy and guide. The same will be published through the website and will provide you with all require information.
For ticketing and entitlements on Other Airlines, the entitlements will be based to the individual agreements with each airline and in accordance to the industry standard. (Please approach GF outstations and/or staff travel department-HDQ for more information)
If however the benefits will be discontinued for not meeting the new policy terms, the Former Staff Benefits Application will restrict the employee from the facility. However the tickets that were issued prior to the implementation of the new policy will be still honored by Gulf Air until the validity date of three months from date of ticket issuance and/or can be refunded.
The new policy has been made after thorough revision of all legal aspects and factors that endorsed the granting of travel facilities to retire and former employees.
We are sure you have enjoyed the previous benefits, and hope that you understand the company’s present decision. For those who will continue with the privileges we wish them and their families an enjoyable travel facility.
Thank You,
Hassan Alrasheed
Manager Employee Services

Icarus
1st Jan 2012, 07:48
I believe tomorrow (02 January 2012) is a pivotal day - leadership changes/restructuring at the top of the 'news'. Perhaps the rumors of a short flight south may be true after all.

Gordomac
1st Jan 2012, 09:06
Skycamel, thanks for posting.Got nowhere trying to access website, Three attempts to email Hassan & Johkula in HR got knocked back by the Cyber postmaster. I can see why. After 17 years service, I lose the lot ! And, Hassan states that he is "pleased" to announce the new benefits. Yuck, awful taste in this mouth on New Years Day. Shame on you Gulfair.

Landflap
1st Jan 2012, 09:22
Dreadful. Can't help it, but I bet Ironbutts will be on here very soon to defend the new policy. I agree with Gordomac. Damn shame to treat folk and others like him with close on 20 years service. The slide continues & this HR guy announces that he is "pleased " to announce "improved" benefits.Another shining example of how this awfully run, once admired airline will not see out the New Year. Shameful.

slowjet
1st Jan 2012, 12:32
Cripes, Gulfair "improving benefits" by taking them away.Not on the same page with that one. I believe that Staff Travel is regarded as a 'perk' rather than a benefit. Indeed, it is a perk which, contractually, may be revised or taken away, at anytime, with or without notice. Once an employee retires, it may be seen as a retirement benefit and one that should not be interfered with. A sort of 'earned' benefit. Legal opinion might be useful. My 'A' level in GP Law (General Principles) is not enough to serve a qualified opinion. In any case, we know that GF has no respect for Bahrain Labour Laws.. Hurtful though it is , Gordomac, you might just have to take this further blow on the chin, To those still in this sorry airline, the message on this aspect must be clear. Do not hang in their for well earned retirement benefits. Like Gordomac, you will not get them & even the 20 year Vets, be wary.Finally, proper airlines like BA & SIA would never dream of removing benefits earned for long service.

Gordomac
1st Jan 2012, 12:41
Thanks Slow & Landflap. I have yet to see the revised policy at my Nicosia Office (well, they will probably deny me entry anyway as a former employee with no benefits !).LF, don't be too hard on IB. A good egg, fabbo instructor &, actually, I prefer guys like IB on my team.Ah well. Will have to go to LGW with Monarch, economy, like everyone else. At least it will be a firm seat & I can wear me jeans & Nairobi T shirt ! Happy New year everyone. Well, everyone except HR !

thegypsy
1st Jan 2012, 14:58
Jeans and Nairobi T Shirt. Whatever next?:ugh: Any tattoos like IB yet as well?:O

If so please stay Larnaca side as we do not want your ilk over here in Paphos:eek:

Gordomac
1st Jan 2012, 16:14
Right, thats it. No more GF Staff travel but I am using my Cyprus Bus Pass to come over to Paphos. Got a tatoo today. It says. "Shame on you Gulfair".won't say where I had it placed though !

ironbutt57
2nd Jan 2012, 03:13
Why would I defend that??

Landflap
2nd Jan 2012, 10:54
IB57. A public apology for past rants. I tend to shoot first & ask questions later & am a fearless defender of others, less fortunate than me or whom I think have been wronged. You continue to be controlled, diplomatic, courteous & appropriate. My New Year Resolution is to follow your example. A very happy new year, Sir.................er, now, can I borrow BD50 please ?

Gordomac
3rd Jan 2012, 09:05
Slowjet. We can square this one away. Your inclination is correct. I just pulled mine out ( Staff Travel Guide to Benefits & Leaving letter that is ) !
Guide states quite clearly that " Reduced Rate travel benefits are considered a privilage and not a right and are subject to review by the Management at any time ". Moreover, my leaving lettter also states that "All travel benefits may be changed/withdrawn without prior notice ".
Thats it then ! Funny how the opening statement in my letter states "In recognition of your long service with Gulfair............" A nice little gift to be taken away seconds after you leave. Perhaps the costs of running the scheme outweigh the income. I always thought that some income for what would otherwise be an empty, non revenue seat was better than nothing. All my attempts to contact HR have been rejected ( silly excuses , like, "Not in Office"....."Mailbox full""....."Postmaster does not recognise address"...etc. Oh, and phone attempts are a joke. Held for ages & then abruptly hung up. Does remind me of my demise. After the stitch up of all time, closing down in the pink palace, no-one could be bothered to see me. I could see them though. Lots of red faces but no guts. All, suddenly, at meetings ! Rotten shame eh? Anyone approaching me for my thoughts on employment with GF get an appropriate response ! And, to end the rant, I pulled mine out again (10 year length of Service Certificate, that is ) and we are having a New Year BBQ this afternoon where I will entertain with a Certificate Burning Ceremony. Thanks GF. It WILL give me closure. Oh, not done yet, Well said LF. Admirable humility. I have applied for the CEO job. IB will be Deputy CEO. All our mates will fill other jobs & I will be bringing back some stunners from the past (no, not cabin crew) & our first, collective roll will be to re-instate Staff Travel with ENHANCED benefits for Life. We will purchase three clapped out 707's, one DC10 and one 747 ( I will take all kickbacks for the purchase) to be used for the establishment of a innovative ,all new, STAFF TRAVEL AIRLINE. The fleet will be used purely for staff travel not only by GF employees but by other airline staff. I will be CEO of that too but IB will be CP, DFO & Head of Recruitment. Ok ok, it's all going to my head. Cyprus, today, for the burning ceremony is bathed in blue skies, 25c. Gentle Mediterraneam breeze & I sense real closure. Happy New Year to all buddies. I'm done.( Blimey, phone going mad, it's Bjorn again !).

John21UK
3rd Jan 2012, 10:53
Gulf Air looks beyond crisis

gulfnews : Gulf Air looks beyond the crisis (http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/gulf-air-looks-beyond-the-crisis-1.959660?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_source=Feeds&utm_medium=RSS&utm_term=Business_RSS_feed&utm_content=1.959660&utm_campaign=___)

Che Guevara
3rd Jan 2012, 11:01
Happy belated New Year!

You are fortunate to be out of here, as for the Staff Travel, not much use really, probably cheaper and better on Easy J. Do they go Cyprus?

Cheers

ironbutt57
3rd Jan 2012, 14:02
Cheers Landflap...Happy New Year...50BD? sure wtf why not!:}

thegypsy
3rd Jan 2012, 15:39
40&80 Wishful thinking as I am sure he is too busy trying to keep his throne to worry about retired ex- pats.

Anybody know why the title Emir was no longer good enough for him?

Stilwell
4th Jan 2012, 08:21
Anyone know if pilot recruitment has been put on hold for the New Year? The website no longer has "Pilots" under the Vacancies column.:confused:

wapses
4th Jan 2012, 15:26
Latest news on the Sales side at GF is that they are likely to outsource most sales activities in London to a General Sales Agent (GSA) and are in the process of appointing one. I would have thought that the current GF staff would have to be transferred across under the TUPE rules. They could retain as few as three staff - Country Manager, Accountant, Airport Manager. Seems like madness to me in what must still be their flagship long-haul route. Engineered I understand by Head of Commercial who went down the same route (outsourcing) at Malev. The airline continues to make increasingly stupid decisions.

left_to_first_class
5th Jan 2012, 20:41
wapses - you are correct, most outstations will be under GSA as that is what the CCO did at Malev before they realised what a mess and booted him out (to GF).
Won't GF ever learn? Few years back they had many GSAs in all sorts of countries and they paid so much commission to these guys that the GSA made more money than GF and held GF to ransom when they wanted more commission!! Of course this is before the scandals of some GSA owned by GF staff or kickbacks et etc!!!
So after a few years of getting rid of GSA and having GF staff (on salaries) they are reverting back.....please someone put this airline out of its misery.....please!

brassplate
6th Jan 2012, 13:03
as usual gf continues to fly to these war torn destinations hoping to make a buck out of misery.

3 000+ 'killed' in South Sudan massacre | News24 (http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/3-000-killed-in-South-Sudan-massacre-20120106)

Panama Jack
6th Jan 2012, 15:39
HEADLINE:
brassplate outdoes himself by reaching a record low in cheap-shots.

How does Gulf Air's linking the World's newest country to the rest of the Globe tie it to atrocities? How does it help probigate or profit from misery in a continent where misery is sadly all to common? What is Gulf Air's role in a conflict between rival tribes?

Air transportation plays a vital role in the development of countries and economies. Cutting off people from the rest of the World, keeping them in the dark is not really the way to keep them from slaughtering each other.

I might agree with you if a government with which Gulf Air has dealings with was involved in this massacre, but there is no evidence of that either. As I said, another cheap-shot in which you, brassplate, are evently trying to capitalize on the misery of some the planet's most unfortunate people to spite a company which you dislike. :=

John21UK
6th Jan 2012, 18:43
How many aircraft have got the new IFE and internet onboard? Just noticed KF coming back from ZRH.

John21UK
7th Jan 2012, 07:39
Gulf Air S12 Operation Changes as of*28DEC11
by JL. Update at 0940GMT 28DEC11

As per 28DEC11 GDS timetable and inventory display, Gulf Air’s initial changes for Summer 2012 operation as follows.

So far only service to Middle East, Africa and West Asia has seen selective changes, which may see further adjustments in coming weeks.

Bahrain – Aden Embraer E170 replaces Airbus A320, 2 weekly
Bahrain – Dhaka Increases from 11 to 13 weekly (A320/330)
Bahrain – Kabul Increases from 5 to 6 weekly (A320
Bahrain – Kathmandu Increases from 12 to 15 weekly (14 weekly A320 + 1 weekly A330)
Bahrain – Khartoum Increases from 7 to 12 weekly (E190 + A319 + A320)
Bahrain – Larnaca Increases from 6 to 8 weekly (E170/190)
Bahrain – Madinah Increases from 5 weekly in S11 to 7 weekly in S12 (A320/330)
Bahrain – Riyadh Increases from 14 to 16 weekly (A330/340)
Bahrain – Sana’a Increases from 3 to 4 weekly with schedule changes

More updates:

Gulf Air Postpones New Saudi & South Sudan Service*Launch
by JL
Update at 0920GMT 28DEC11

As per 28DEC11 GDS timetable and inventory display, Gulf Air is postponing the launch of new service to 3 Saudi cities, as well as Juba in South Sudan.

Service to Taif and Gassim are postponed by at least 4 weeks to mid-Feb 2012, while Yanbu postponed by 6 weeks to the start of Summer 2012 season. Planned service to Juba is postponed by 4 months to June 2012.

Latest launch date and operational schedule as follows:

Bahrain – Taif eff 15FEB12 (Previously to start from 15JAN12), note the operational day and schedule changes
GF189 BAH1105 – 1330TIF 319 x126
GF190 TIF1415 – 1615BAH 319 x126

Bahrain – Gassim eff 21FEB12 (Previously to start from 17JAN12)
GF181 BAH0215 – 0345ELQ 319 2
GF181 BAH0215 – 0345ELQ E70 56

GF182 ELQ0430 – 0555BAH 319 2
GF182 ELQ0430 – 0555BAH E70 56

Bahrain – Yanbu eff 26MAR12 (Previously to start from 15FEB12)
GF185 BAH1055 – 1330YNB 319 134
GF186 YNB1415 – 1620BAH 319 134

Bahrain – Juba eff 03JUN12 (Previously to start from 03FEB12)
GF721 BAH1120 – 1630JUB E90 257
GF722 JUB1715 – 2155BAH E90 257

mamamia
8th Jan 2012, 23:52
In this company rich is getting richer and poor getting poorer:\

GAME OVER
9th Jan 2012, 21:46
Gulf Air Announces Promotional Fares for Travelers from Italy to Mena and Asia | Arab Turkish Travel Gazette (http://www.arabturkishtravel.com/?p=2813)

showel
16th Jan 2012, 17:08
Will there be any announcements during the Airshow?:rolleyes: that they are downsizing

Che Guevara
16th Jan 2012, 19:44
In this part of the world, no way Jose.
I still like 1A however.....:rolleyes:

John21UK
17th Jan 2012, 06:18
And some good news

Gulf Daily News » Business News » Gulf Air selected for award (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=321788)

showel
17th Jan 2012, 16:15
Olbie,

Any idea if they stopped even those who already passed interview as DEC or DEF?:rolleyes:

Che Guevara
17th Jan 2012, 16:53
So maybe for once they won't be short of pilots....

showel
17th Jan 2012, 17:33
Olbie under Naf they stopped 2-3 courses of people who were supposed to come, it will be a shame if they do it again:ugh:

AeroForce
17th Jan 2012, 20:57
Olbie under Naf they stopped 2-3 courses of people who were supposed to come, it will be a shame if they do it again

Good memory showel, so they did. History repeating itself? :confused:

showel
18th Jan 2012, 05:29
Aero, it was not so long time ago:rolleyes:
If it is true, feel sorry for the guys who wasted their time for GF interview:mad:

ironbutt57
18th Jan 2012, 05:47
Naf was actually an "expansionist", sure it wasn't under Dose...who was a chop chop??

showel
18th Jan 2012, 05:59
Ironbutt, as far as i can remember it was in 2009, just shortly before Majali came:bored:

Che Guevara
19th Jan 2012, 16:16
No surprise there.

John21UK
19th Jan 2012, 17:20
Next CPH, FRA reductions, KUL axed, A340's gone, staff layoffs etc etc etc...
We'll find out on saturday.

picollo
19th Jan 2012, 17:57
Hopes diminish for Gulf Air CSeries order (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/hopes-diminish-for-gulf-air-cseries-order-367137/)

showel
20th Jan 2012, 03:41
John21, what will be on saturday:rolleyes::)

John21UK
20th Jan 2012, 03:59
There were rumors that the cseries etc would be announced on saturday during the airshow. That was before picollo's post.

mamamia
20th Jan 2012, 07:45
gulf air is in deep **** needs to stand up and question guys for the corruption within the company the rumour is right downsize to 21 airplane they stopped reqruiting

mamamia
20th Jan 2012, 08:06
they going to get rid of loads of pilots it going to be exciting year happy new year

jackx123
20th Jan 2012, 11:03
AIRCRAFTS or AIRCRAFT lol dude get a life with correcting language if that's the only thing you have going for you. I guess you speak perfect arabic (or is it arabian)

mamamia
20th Jan 2012, 21:29
its time for a change 400milione stolen in 9 month where bahrain air started with 20 millione

T O G A Boy
22nd Jan 2012, 02:23
What would you expect from a company whose management is so incompetent and so inexperienced. all they care about is their own welfare and as far as staff are concerned they have to be overworked under great duress and sacked if needs be. Keep your wallets getting fatter whilst this " Golden " airline is sinking for good. Time to seek other pastures..

mamamia
22nd Jan 2012, 04:07
the guys who work hard are the pilots cabin crew and engineers while the rest living their dream life ,you could always ride a car but cannot fix it thats our managment their walking the tunnel but know the golden tunnel will be flooded with so much money where there going to sink in it like the titanic

slowjet
22nd Jan 2012, 10:31
But who keeps flooding the tunnel with money and why ? Why is the corruption so obvious ? Who lets them get away with it & why ? Stop all that, at source and you are on the way to recovery. Failure to do so, fanning the flames of corruption, employing inept people because of who they know has led to this ugly downfall of the once, widely admired, National Airline. Bring back strong Management, untie their hands, expose the corruptors and maybe, just maybe, you have a chance. Heartfelt concern to all of you who must be greatly unsettled by all of the dreadful developments.

Captain Sensitive
22nd Jan 2012, 14:13
This airline is sick at all levels.
The impunity reigns, lack of discipline and commitment notorious. Apart of a small number of real committed professionals and those who are still not corrupted by the system, all the others should be sacked, maybe half of the entire staff.
But, hey, Gulf Air is a job provider not a serious business like other major airlines around the gulf!
I know this much, and I'm having enough…

sirwa69
23rd Jan 2012, 02:30
GDN Today:
MANAMA: The Cabinet discussed the current status of Gulf Air and viewed a number of strategic options for the future of the company, presented by Deputy Prime Minister and Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company chairman Shaikh Khalid bin Abdulla Al Khalifa. As the government is keen to see the continuity of Gulf Air, the Cabinet decided to restructure the airline, in line with operational requirements and reduce the effective size of its challenges, commitments and costs while maintaining the national workforce.

A Gulf Air spokesman said last night: "Gulf Air's business has faced challenges in recent times in common with other carriers around the world. Combinations of unprecendented regional and economic factors have made business increasingly difficult, in particular the regional political situation, the high price of fuel, low passenger numbers and the suspension of a number of destinations.

"In light of this and further to a statement today by the Cabinet, Gulf Air can confirm that the senior management team, with the support of the government and its shareholder, Mumtalakat, is initiating additional measures aimed at securing Gulf Air's long-term sustainability, as well as actively addressing the airline's loss-making position."

John21UK
23rd Jan 2012, 07:35
Gulf Air Nairobi Operation Changes in S12 | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/23/gf-nbo-s12/)

Update;
Correction to Gulf Air Feb/Mar 2012 Athens Operation Changes | Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2012/01/23/gf-ath-feb12/)

ODMEA
23rd Jan 2012, 21:39
Was recently on a flight from BAH-BEY on an A330 and cabin crew got into lots of convo with as I was the only J pax...one of the very friendly Bahraini male crew told me that GF had given all its 787 slots/orders to Emirates! Is this true?

John21UK
24th Jan 2012, 04:09
Not true. Don't see that happening as the remaining B787's will arrive as they are a direct order between the King and former US President Mr.Bush.

The B787 replaces the A330's and maybe some A350's to bring back A340 capacity a few years after they retired and business is up, inshallah. ;)

Following on from yesterdays news:
Gulf Daily News » Local News » Joint panel to draw up plans for airline's future (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=322277)

wastafarian
24th Jan 2012, 04:56
It follows the cabinet's decision on Sunday to restructure the airline in line with operational requirements and reduce the effective size of its challenges, commitments and costs while maintaining the national workforce.

føreigners raus?

AeroForce
24th Jan 2012, 06:20
So after all these years of operation they still haven't been able to identify that GF's main problem is the 'deadweight' workforce at the pink palace, that sits around doing nothing while receiving their 'government' benefits, at the expense of GF and of course the magically disappearing money left right and center.

Nauron
24th Jan 2012, 09:20
the newspapers say that they're going to restructure the company, basically downsizing it, dropping 15 routes that are just costing money, and chopping some foreigners. Apparently no nationals will be laid off.

Landflap
24th Jan 2012, 12:56
Very worrying for the "foreigners", many of whom contributed greatly to the former success of this, now, rotten outfit.

Captain Sensitive
24th Jan 2012, 17:11
Very worrying for the "foreigners", many of whom contributed greatly to the former success of this, now, rotten outfit.

... and the cycle starts all over again!

:ugh:

dzmeigolem
24th Jan 2012, 17:33
So now we'll see +RA of expat resignations and will feed the region with trained and experienced riders and cabin crew. Nice! Reminds me of Dose's times. Just wondering we have 4 or 5 years cycle here:confused:

P.S. Have you noticed - no 340 routes for FEB

ccf24
24th Jan 2012, 19:48
May be some of the guys with contacts in Qatar and etihad could get the respective companies to do a recruitment day in Bahrain and save us all the trouble :)

ironbutt57
25th Jan 2012, 03:50
I agree Landflap, it isn't "optimal", but at the end of the day, we expats are migrant farm workers, so maybe time to find a new orchard...its been a good run, and Im sure the measures taken will make GF a more reasonable option for Bahrain in the long run...but it's become unsustainable, so something has to be re-thought...

Panama Jack
25th Jan 2012, 07:25
Passed along to me by someone who reads the Daily Tribune:

Four proposals on new strategies for Gulf Air’s future were yesterday presented to a committee that was formed especially to discuss the airline's fate, DT has learnt.

The proposals are:
1) Close the company.
2) Leave it as it is with a loss of BD180 million (half a million dinars per day) and deal with the consequences, as there are many other profitable companies running under the Gulf Air umbrella.
3) Create a new company and develop private sector partnership.
4) Shrink the company.

Landflap
25th Jan 2012, 11:34
Olbie, your earlier post at 0538 says it all again, doesn't it ? Even at this late stage the company cannot see the wood for the trees and comes up with yet another crass decision. Why should the CEO be a Bahrain National ? Give the job to the best of the worldwide applicants (are there any ?) but, as I have said before, give him/her free reign. Parliament telling a commercial airline what to do is going beyond hope. Hope & goodwill is all I can offer to all staff but being a professional pilot myself, on a pilot's forum, I have to direct my best wishes to those within my profession. Some fabulous talent here. Clear vision & loyalty as often expressed by Ironbutt57 and others like him are assets never even acknowledged by the arrogant & inept, but very well connected GF Management. Plenty of examples abound but just look down the road at EY. Hogie's hands were severely tied in GF & look what happened. At EY, same hands, untied..............World's best airline for the third year running ! I rest my case.

Captain Sensitive
25th Jan 2012, 11:48
It's interesting the fact that their own people screwed up their own country and consequently Gulf Air.

It seems that all 2007's events will come up again.

Starting a new airline with the same manpower will be a matter of time to the new airline be screwed up again.

Downsizing by 50% seems to be the best option, it will keep the local jobs since we have a good number of local captains and the first officers will be replaced by new beginners hence generating more jobs!

Politically speaking, foreigners were never welcome here.

millerscourt
25th Jan 2012, 12:36
The sooner GF gets put out of its misery the better. If it was an animal in this state it would have been euthanased long ago:ouch:

left_to_first_class
25th Jan 2012, 20:27
Time to pack the bags folks if you don't hold a bahrani passport.
GF to close as to resurrect itself as Bahrain Air so that it can promote the name of the country.
Only run my bahrainis (sunni at the top and shias elsewhere) to enable them to continue to cream off the funds from the government.
Looks like another Kuwait Airways in the making.

Bye!

showel
26th Jan 2012, 21:54
So, 340s will be grounded in Feb:bored: Any rumors about which destinations we will not see anymore? :confused: Heard the KUL is amongst the first ones:sad:

noise of freedom
26th Jan 2012, 22:32
Sorry gents how about who's just about to join?

Will be just not hired or there is a possibility that they will keep the commitments to new joiners?

How many a/c will be grounded in total?

NOF

buba
27th Jan 2012, 05:37
Sounds like a regional airline in the making, wonder if we'l still keep our long haul routes or swop them over for profitable ones. Then again the whole plan could change overnight.. Its a tug of war up there.

showel
27th Jan 2012, 06:02
I am amazed with people here who still cherish their hopes for GF "bright future":ok:

Landflap
27th Jan 2012, 10:20
Showel, it is, often, all that some folk have left. Aviation is littered with these types. Very loyal but failing to see that there is very little loyalty re ward. I was with two major airlines the time that they went bust. Lots of guys, loyal, but with misguided hope got severely left behind in the race for jobs.If you are a Bahrain National, you probably have a job. What type of job is the question & Long haulers will start to miss, severely, that particular lifestyle. Foreigners, follow Ironbut57's vision; start looking for another farm ! What has got me through to the final stages of my 40 year career is that I am loyal, only to my Licence. What is painted on the side of an aeroplane is of little interest. Good luck to all of you.

buba
27th Jan 2012, 19:11
Well they can't squeeze out another ounce of sweat from the crew, and all flights i'v done in the past 6 months were packed to the rafters. If the yeild is low,GF just have to increase the fare slightly.. Most folk i got chatting to like flying GF.. Mayb restructuring and emphasising on a reduced fleet but uping the quality, but then again a sense of style is much lacking here. Hope its all for the best.

AeroForce
28th Jan 2012, 05:10
The airline, owned by government investment fund Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Co., is suffering from high costs and massive overstaffing that have plagued it for decades.

Maybe the geniuses: read the MP's, boardmembers (Mumtalakat and GF), Gulf Air's CEO and other executive staff should have another look at what is mentioned above. The key to turning around the airline is there.

It is most certainly not massive overstaffing of operational crew, as GF operates with the absolute minimum of engeneering staff, cabin crew and flight deck.

To support a network with as many non-operational staff as Gulf Air employs, you need either: more airplanes or restructure and reduce the non-operational staff or a combination of both.

To reduce the fleet, without reducing national staff numbers mainly employed at HQ is absolute insanity. :ugh:

The final nail in the coffin for Gulf Air if they follow through.

slowjet
28th Jan 2012, 09:01
They will follow through because it buys time and shifts the blame somewhere else when the ship finally goes down. It's called NOT "losing face" because that is the ultimate 'No No' in the middle east. Reading through these pages one notices succint summaries coupled with obvious and not so obvious solutions offered by the pilots community.Other corporate failures might have been avoided by listening to other staff & ground root staff too. Modern CEO's are doing just that. Dosse & Naff showed the way too but were thwarted and over-ruled by the dysfunctional Board. And still, GF's CEO talks about reducing fleet but not staff. He dare not reduce National staff levels & fails to acknowledge that expats will take the brunt. Just like watching the Titanic all over again.Failures everywhere. Failure to heed to warnings, failure to recognise the problem exists, failure to admit the ship is holed, failure to take decisive action, failure to listen to advice........oh dear, & as the ship went down, Captain probably still saying.." What f-----g ice berg ???" !!

showel
29th Jan 2012, 10:57
So guys, all direct entry cp and fo who were suppose to join in feb and mar are canceled, some were suppose to join on 4th with everithing ready (contract signed, visas ready). Once again GF reveals its true face:-)

Icarus
29th Jan 2012, 12:47
Apparently the 2011 (unaudited) accounts point towards a BHD200M (US$529M) loss.

That's US$1.45M per day!

330airbus
29th Jan 2012, 13:03
I really hope they keep their loyalty to the senior expat Pilots working in the airline..
At the moment it seems, if you are not Bahraini, or a GCC citizen, you should be worried..

showel
29th Jan 2012, 13:46
At the moment seems that Embraer pilots are the ones who shall be worried the most:rolleyes:

showel
29th Jan 2012, 14:03
330airbus, you really think they ever had any loyalty towards expats? And it does not matter senior or junior, it is only a matter of time:hmm:

CLB-1
29th Jan 2012, 14:23
At the moment seems that Embraer pilots are the ones who shall be worried the most

Why? If that is the case, could you substantiate your statement?

showel
29th Jan 2012, 14:30
CLB-1, wait until tuesday and inshalah GF will substantiate it to you.:8

John21UK
29th Jan 2012, 14:30
It would make sense ( open goal, I know) to get rid of the Embraers when the leases expire next year. Wouldn't they otherwise pay a penalty for early contract termination outweighing the cost of finishing another 12 months on the current contract? Also note that the Embraer is the most profitable aircraft in the fleet.

CLB-1
29th Jan 2012, 14:48
I can hardly wait :(

showel
29th Jan 2012, 15:18
John21, yeap, especially when it is AOG and 340 has to do its DXB turn:)
And regarding penalties, why do you think they put 180-250 mil Bd to downsize the company???:rolleyes:

HPIC
29th Jan 2012, 16:17
So guys, all direct entry cp and fo who were suppose to join in feb and mar are canceled, some were suppose to join on 4th with everithing ready (contract signed, visas ready). Once again GF reveals its true face:-)

Kinda funny that they still have DEC and DEFO positions posted for both Embraer and A320 positions....typical of airline management, though. Hire til they furlough.

330airbus
29th Jan 2012, 16:30
Showel,

Agreed, I've seen how they treat expats, and truth be told that's just the way it works in this region.
The bus guys will be okay, they will downsize, but firing airbus captains or FO's is not likely what will happen as they will be short anyway.
However the embraer guys, not too sure.
Hoping for the best for all regardless.
They shouldn't have any trouble findin a job at QR.
Like it or not, it's better than no job.
For the record, I personally like it.

ozzi osborne
29th Jan 2012, 17:00
It doesn`t look good thats for sure. What is happening with the new 8 airbus coming this year? If thats the case they will need pilots... surely they cant cancel all these contracts? it will cost them more money!! Inshallah!! We see what really happens next week....

noise of freedom
29th Jan 2012, 17:01
Sorry guys anyone else had the course cancelled in feb?

I personally resigned already and now I lost my job!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Woopsagain
29th Jan 2012, 19:19
Me too ! But let's face the truth, we have been very naive on this one ...:ugh:

cbern
29th Jan 2012, 19:53
Here is another one.I supose to start in march.I left my job 1 month ago..looking for a better place to live and work!:D not happy at all about this! We'll see what happens:{..

Ion-athan
29th Jan 2012, 21:12
You guys should get together and sue those "incopetent basterds"

thicoo
29th Jan 2012, 22:47
Another one to the list... I was supposed to start in march...:{:\

tankdrvr
30th Jan 2012, 00:00
hmmmm...Who do you think will fly the last flight? A Bahraini, or an expat? :ooh:

ironbutt57
30th Jan 2012, 02:08
No need to raise the issue of Bahraini vs expat, we are all facing the same issues, however expats are a guest workforce..keep that in mind...

T O G A Boy
30th Jan 2012, 05:49
Saw that happening. What do u expect from an airline whose's offices are filled to the brim with incompetent managers. Starting from DFO:confused: who has nothing better to do than issuing threatening letters ( Immediate Compliance). Why is he in such a position. Many issues aside, none of them have the guts to negotiate or at least question the CEO's decisions. Whatever the CEO said, they all followed blindly and whilst amongst themselves, disagreed. All for the sake of retaining their comfy seats and fat wallets fatter. What a disgrace to the word " Managers" . :ugh: And honestly, are we so astonished to see such a result in GF? Certainly Not. :rolleyes:

Ion-athan
30th Jan 2012, 06:34
Guys to question the CEO is not an issue of guts. To question the CEO it's an issue of being knowledgable, competent, to be able to reason and than argue with what comes out of the CEO mouth and many other things that you all know they are not capable of dealing with (that includes me of course). And you know why? Because we are ONLY pilots. WTF do we know?

brassplate
30th Jan 2012, 11:04
Maybe brassplate isn't the only one who is SAD after all. The whole situation is SAD. The plan is SAD. The whole airline is SAD. He does have a point if he is an expat. He may well be out of a job like me and many others.

...like i said.

md80classic
30th Jan 2012, 11:11
Former Expanair captain, was about to aply to DEC A320, but thoght let's see what's on on pprune about gulf air before. Thanks for saving my time, becouse although i have a lot its valuable.

JC Black
30th Jan 2012, 12:18
Well, its the cheek of a two line email suspending the course a week before it is due to start...

frigging cheeky barrstards :=

noise of freedom
30th Jan 2012, 12:48
This poor planning is creating people big troubles!!!

I left my job and now I am out of work because of them....It is not acceptable and they should pay for this.

How should I feed my family now???

salsaboy
30th Jan 2012, 14:19
noise of freedom

I feel for you and your situation. That happened to some colleagues of mine a while back and they pleaded with the CP of their previous employer to rescind their resignation... it worked for them.

Good luck.

ozzi osborne
30th Jan 2012, 16:06
After Olbie post, it looks like Gulf Air is expanding not downsizing.

AeroForce
30th Jan 2012, 16:08
You guys should get together and sue those "incopetent basterds"

To sue or not to sue, that's the question.

If succesful you would probably not get paid more than the basic salary for the notice period as stated in the contract.

Agreed that the managers should pay big for their negligence and incompentence, however legaly I don't think you stand a chance in this part of the world or anywhere else for that matter.

The best of luck to all!
A. Force

mamamia
30th Jan 2012, 18:39
The moment gulf air took our prevailage the ship start sinking last year we worked so hard with no appreciation this year gulf air want to get rid of pilots not managers this is gulf air WTF

showel
30th Jan 2012, 18:46
Ozzi,

You think that switching the route to 320 from 330-340 and increasing frequencies from 10 to 14 is expanding?:rolleyes:

John21UK
30th Jan 2012, 19:15
What he/she is propably trying to say is that it means more individual sectors, thus more crews required.

Cutting most long haul routes makes perfect sense. No more feeding people into/out off the Gulf Air network through BAH. :sad: ( sarcasm off)

ozzi osborne
30th Jan 2012, 19:49
I agree with John
More sectors more crew, Its interesting that at Bahrain Airshow some type of contract was signed with GECAS hence more regional aircrafts, apart from these airbuses coming this year and the year after.

I think we all be ok, even our CEO said so. Lets be positive!!

mamamia
31st Jan 2012, 00:35
It's a gambling gulf air wanna get rid of long haul so there is more pilots there coming to a320 gulf air going to get rid of kul and Milan and Geneva and Copenhagen and reducing flight at certain sector guys are doing 53 hours fra and Paris keep dreaming who wants to dream I hope your dreams come true

showel
31st Jan 2012, 05:37
Ozzi,

What about less aircrafts less crews??? Lets be realistic!!:cool:

Icarus
31st Jan 2012, 08:34
For what it's worth (not!) the Staff Travel (Retired/Former Employee) scheme is about to change again; looks like they will roll it back from the (new) 20yr qualification to 15yrs.

Landflap
31st Jan 2012, 08:52
Icarus, Gordo might be the one to thank, amongst, I am sure, others. He wrote to anyone in HR he could get a name & email address for including the Head of HR. He followed through with a letter, intended for publication to the GDN . After burning his ten year service certificate, he wrote to the Deputy Prime Minister. We all fell about laughing. He might be able to start laughing again too. The interline agreements might be of great value to former employees and the retards.....ooooops, sorry Gordo, Retireds ! Good luck with the more serious situation facing all of you guys. Make sure your voice is heard in order to ram through the changes needed in order to preserve jobs and keep that golden falcon flying.

millerscourt
31st Jan 2012, 11:27
If GF survives then I suspect it will be just as a inter Gulf airline so Gordo won't see much benefit if staff travels comes his way as I doubt if he will to fly from Bahrain to Dharan:D

John21UK
1st Feb 2012, 05:36
Heard today in the office that embraer fleet is likely to stay untill the end of lease in 2013. After that inshallah...

How come Gulf Air is not able to make money with these good loadfactors they are having? Someone in commercial must get at least some blame for not getting the yield right?

AeroForce
1st Feb 2012, 06:38
Gulf Daily News » Local News » Gulf Air reshuffle plan backed (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=322830)Restructuring option approved by parliament, that means the fleet is going to be greatly reduced as previously mentioned.
Olbie mentioned 14 aircraft to remain, please explain further as most people seem to think it's 14 aircraft to be phased out and 21 to remain.

Looks like 14 aircraft will remain...

Some 320s may go to Bahrain Air for labourers' routes...

Bus guys OK? I think not.

And yes all hiring stopped.

dzmeigolem
1st Feb 2012, 09:06
Guys, what I think is that the parliament can vote, decide, propose and approve, but they don't seem to have the final call. Remember they were voting also to ban alcohol in Bahrain, alcohol in GF, etc, etc...

Everything we post here is nothing, but a pure speculation and some guys are making important decisions /life and career wise/ based on the posts here.

In my opinion, what we are facing now is more political than anything else, and whether GF to exist, downsize, expand or whatever is also nothing, but a political decision made by the top governing bodies /i.e. King and/or Crown Prince/, not by MPs or the parliament.

SCATANA
1st Feb 2012, 11:04
@ Olbie, I heard the same.

All Far east +Africa + all EU (except LHR) to be canned.

LHR to be A320ER ops.

Just rumors so far...

Gordomac
1st Feb 2012, 11:07
dzmeigolem, quite right. But rumour can often be substantiated later and it is, often, all that people have to go on.I sat and watched the Air Europe ship go down because I failed to give the rumours a glance. Paid the price as I lined up on the welfare line. Millerscourt, very accurate but it is still a comfort zone. Taking away everything was a bit of a biff in the face. Might well make use of a Dahran turnround just for fun ! Olbie' offering looks like vindicating Millerscourt. Damn, just as I was planning a November BKK, or, instead, my fave MNL. If we lost those two, I could settle for a Milan..............aaaaaah, this is awful. Even getting me Cprus Buss Pass was fraught with beaurocracy. The Popsie behind the desk refused to believe I was over age 63. And Slowjet, thanks. I think I know who you are & have PM'd you. Finally, wish all you guys safety & calmer waters once this all settles down. Task for today is to learn how to cut & paste ! Cheers guys, raising a glass to you all this afternoon.

jackx123
1st Feb 2012, 16:46
Dhahran airport ? :roll eyes: maybe you meant Dammam

ODMEA
1st Feb 2012, 21:39
I may only be a loyal GF pax but I think the cabin crew member who told me all 787 orders are going to EK may just well be correct after all this "restructuring!"

showel
2nd Feb 2012, 07:55
For those hoping- no news is a good news;):rolleyes:

John21UK
2nd Feb 2012, 11:09
Oh dear, here goes Gulf Air's new policy as a regional carrier (partly) out the window:
Gulf Daily News » Local News » 350KM/H TRAINS TO LINK GCC (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=322864)

Also noticed all A340's parked together at remote stands. Sad sight.

sasa320
2nd Feb 2012, 11:43
I suggest they get rid of all acft, buy 30 ATRs and become feeder for EY,EK and QR. Make sense economically but with big ego and pride in this part of the world it's not gonna happen.
I was just dreaming.

Sasa

John21UK
2nd Feb 2012, 12:27
Doen't have to be ATR's. They can just stay with the Embraers. Just get a proper family mix, perfect for most jobs.

pilotcpb
2nd Feb 2012, 13:18
This train idea is sheer lunacy. This has a great chance to be the poster child for wasteful spending on a massive scale.

SCATANA
2nd Feb 2012, 15:43
won't happen.

CLB-1
3rd Feb 2012, 20:47
Increasing frequencies to MXP, retaining a leased-in Swiss 737 and pressing a just-retired A340 back into service this evening. All the hallmarks of a coherent and consistent management plan! What will the next announcement be??

buba
4th Feb 2012, 02:42
6 months ago i was seated next to a guy from the revenue department, we got talking.. Says gulf air is makin money.. He must have seen the look of disbeleif on my face and adds 'but they keep 'loosing' it on 'unnecessary' projects'..i reckon GF is just a cash cow.

showel
4th Feb 2012, 05:12
CLB-1,

340 went to ISB last night:roll eyes: probably some technical prob with 330, as i do not see any 340 in the schedule for the next couple of days:rolleyes: unfortunately :hmm:

showel
4th Feb 2012, 07:26
They might be keeping 73s cause our new 32.s are not coming any more:rolleyes: As otherwise i do not see any benefit of this type aircraft intermix on the same route:hmm:

John21UK
4th Feb 2012, 08:03
Seeing they already dropped the Geneva 737 route and they still have a contract with PrivatAir why not use that aircraft. It might be cheaper to use it and run it until the end of the contract rather than cancelling the contract all together or having it sit idle whilst still paying for it.

John21UK
4th Feb 2012, 09:49
Time to leave me thinks:
Gulf Daily News » Local News » THUGS CUT OFF MAN'S FINGERS (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=323018)

I can handle teargass and youngsters making a idiot out of themself but this is a new chapter, mutulating (western) expats.

Calmcavok
4th Feb 2012, 10:39
What was he doing in Karranah at 5am? The Bahraini equivalent to hanging around Moss Side/Tottenham/Compton at 5am methinks.

Mike.Park
4th Feb 2012, 11:17
John21UK - Nobody is privvy to the details (yet) and I am highly skeptical of the picture being painted by State media that political activists are "waging war" against British expats. :hmm:

Yo767
4th Feb 2012, 13:32
Time to carry a baseball bat in your car.

Got mine at: CHEAPBATS.COM : Baseball Bats, Softball Bats, Baseball Equipment, Softball Gear (http://www.cheapbats.com/shop/)

Nauron
4th Feb 2012, 15:08
Mike,

I'm sorry but I don't see how the media is showing this as the opposition waging a war on the (western) expats.

Do I think they are? no, they have no reason to do so, if anything they are trying to win those same people over to their side.

Is there any sort of systamatic attack on expats by the opposition? as we have witnessed for the past year, yes, but on asian immagrants, particularly ones from countries the likes of India, Pakistan, etc.

What's the reason behind this particular attack? That, we don't know, maybe he said something that upset them, maybe it was just robbery, maybe it wasn't the opposition in the first place (though it was in one of their areas as someone mentioned above).

One thing I know for sure is that people shouldn't panic and generalize. If I went to the states and somebody beat me up and called me a "camel riding diaper head" I wouldn't flee the country and say that they're all out to get me.

Calmcavok
4th Feb 2012, 16:26
If your particular concern is how westernised he may or may not be, I think he may be of Indian descent. Not that that should matter however.

Calmcavok
4th Feb 2012, 16:32
@yo767

I'll see your bat and raise you a warhammer

Warhammer - Medieval FightClub (http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/products/Warhammer.html)

GF-A330
4th Feb 2012, 21:49
http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/142/142217_800.jpg

Airmann
5th Feb 2012, 09:01
Whats going on is a properly waged campaign against Bahrain to ensure as much economic and publicity damage on the country as possible.

Bahrain, like most GCC countries require massive investment to sustain its current level of growth and a lot of foreign help in the form of labour and expertise. The protestors and their leadership and those running the show (and if you haven't figured out who is running the show just think about all the many times you've gone running yourself), and what you have is a well orchestrated campaign to grind down the government slowly and surely. This latest attack was just one more part of the war in order to scare westerners out of the country.

I was watching a group of protestors the other day, they mustn't have been more than 15 or 16 and they were very well organized, they had spotters checking for police, a lead group of girls to check for police as well, and they were always together, they knew when to turn and run and when to make noise and when to stay quiet. The point is that the whole show is being run in an organized manner and the protestors are being trained for the purpose.

After the air show they started trouble on the airport road as they knew this would have maximum impact on those driving back to catch flights, and they also ensured that there were lots of tires burning throughout the airshow so as to make a bigger visual impact.

Don't believe that these are an unorganized mob with little to no structure or focus, its actually quite the opposite.

WELCO
5th Feb 2012, 11:16
and I am highly skeptical of the picture being painted by State media that political activists are "waging war" against British expats.

Political activists?!:E

Ahh...You are referring to the big leaders of the "Peaceful Protestors", right?!!

Hell No! They are not Leaders by any means.. Not Peaceful on any scale.. Not Protestors in the way anybody would normally imagine!!:yuk:

Well yes, many of us here are expats, but we know much of the truth now.. We know who was/is trying to use the media to market the deception to Western world...So trying to mislead us again is not working anymore sonny boy!:=

Excuse me everybody.. I really hate politics, but this time I just couldn't resist clarifying things for those who think they can fool us forever with a flower in the hand and a dagger on the other at the back!

777-Aviator
5th Feb 2012, 12:11
Well said WELCO! :D:D:D

Well said Airmann! :D:D:D

sirwa69
5th Feb 2012, 13:10
What was he doing in Karranah at 5am? The Bahraini equivalent to hanging around Moss Side/Tottenham/Compton at 5am methinks.

It was just after 2.00 am he had just come out of an expat club and he was drunk.
I don't think this can be viewed as an escalation of the protests to attacking western expats.

Driving a car drunk into a village at 2am is not a wise thing to do in any country.
:ugh:

showel
5th Feb 2012, 17:13
sirwa69,

I would understand if he'd been beaten or robbed, but cutting off fingers:=

WELCO
6th Feb 2012, 11:00
@showel

Within this specific type of people, they are mostly aggressive and bloody savage by nature. Please don't tell me that you didn't know this!

Landflap
6th Feb 2012, 15:04
Just dropped by to see what is happening with Gulfair developements & I get guys having fingers chopped off, John 21 telling us that the 787's are still coming because it was a private agreement between the King & Obama (or was it GWB, or Ronny Reagan, even ?) further , rounding on some for immature responses to his recommending Gf to others for employment but then telling us that he is "off" ! Good grief ! Buba finally gets the point that GF is just a cash cow ! C'mon buddy, did you never ask how the car wash boys were bombing around in Mercedes while you struggled to make the repayments on your Nissan Cherry ? Look guys, I often stumbled out of Trader Vicks, driving of course , because I was too pissed to walk, made the wrong turn but never got my fingers chopped off. So, pleeeeeze, can we get back to thread ? King of Bongo Bongo has just made a private deal with that French bloke, Sarcasm, or Sarcowski, or something like that, for 8 380's. Bongo Bongo WILL take delivery because the King & I (mean "him") made the agreement. So, I am going there ! Oh, could well be that there are no Gf developments. Geees, What is happening in GF ? Cheers.

WELCO
6th Feb 2012, 15:32
@Landflap

The current situation of GF is just too obvious to be shared again. Nothing really new. The last couple of pages on the thread sums it all. We are only waiting now to see which kind of "stall" is going to actually bring the Falcon down! These are very sad moments in GF! I can spot lots of worried and anxious faces in the company nowadays.. Others are too gutted that things were left untreated for too long until we've reached this horrible situation!:ouch:

SCATANA
6th Feb 2012, 20:35
LOL, somebody woke up on the wrong side of bed today :}

ozzi osborne
7th Feb 2012, 01:19
How the Failure of Gulf Air Explains the Failure of Bahrain
Among the more interesting headlines this week is the likely impending collapse of Gulf Air, Bahrain's national carrier and not so long ago the region's dominant airline. Though it has not yet been decided what to do with the struggling company--the Gulf News reports that a "parliamentary ad-hoc committee" is set to discuss the available options, though it's difficult to believe that the final decision would be taken there--even in the best case scenario its operations are certain to be downsized considerably unless Rupert Murdock randomly turns up in Manama looking to invest a billion or so dollars.

More notable than Gulf Air's failure per se--companies come and go all the time, of course--is the way this collapse mirrors the larger disintegration of Bahrain socially, politically, and increasingly economically. And it's not simply that both are on the road toward failure; rather, the causes themselves are eerily similar. Indeed, it is not too far off to say that the failure of Gulf Air explains the failure of Bahrain.

Corruption

I won't claim to have studied the internal financial records of Gulf Air, but it should not come as a surprise that this sprawling, state-owned corporation with a very large operating budget has faced accusations of widespread corruption. In fact, as recently as January 14, 2012, an anti-corruption panel proposed by the Bahrain Transparency Society specifically singled out the cases of Gulf Air and ALBA for investigation. This comes after a 2007 "crackdown" saw an executive and eight employees investigated on suspicion of misappropriating funds. To what extent continued corruption has contributed significantly to Gulf Air's $500 million-plus annual operating loss is impossible to know, but one can presume safely that it hasn't helped.

In similar fashion, did the continued appropriation (and gifting) of public lands by Bahrain's ruling family and friends cause protesters to leave their homes in February 2011? Did the uprising start because Khalifa bin Salman reportedly paid 1BD for the plot of land that would become the Bahrain Financial Harbor? Perhaps not. But it certainly added fuel to the fire, as demonstrated in the following:

More generally, the pilfering of Bahrain's lands and coffers is a problem most Bahrainis can agree upon, even if many Sunnis are afraid to join the charge against it for fear of association with the opposition. With al-Wifaq out of the picture, however, the present parliament can now take up the cause while avoiding this usual pitfall. Ironically, that is, Bahrain's current opposition-less parliament is more likely to take on an activist role than when al-Wifaq occupied 18 of 40 seats. Hence its present involvement in the Gulf Air issue. The Gulf News article referenced above tells that "[t]he lower chamber has been pushing hard to make the airline leaner and twice called for appointment of new leaders."

Government as a Confederation of Fiefdoms

The division of the state into independent bureaucratic fiefdoms is a phenomenon not limited, obviously, to Bahrain. The entire Arab Gulf bears witness to this holdover of tribal governance, wherein particular ministries (and sub-ministries, and offices) are the personal domains of individuals, awarded their posts as a coalition government distributes cabinet portfolios--that is, according to their relative influence. The upshot is a hierarchy of government descending in principle from the head of state--here, King Hamad--in a sort of ministerial family tree.

(Note: this chart was sent to me a while back and is not my work.)

This governmental structure begets two immediate consequences. The first is one discussed here often, namely the inherent danger of internecine competition. That is, what happens when the state's organizational tree does not descend from a single node but has multiple trunks? Well, then you have the case of Bahrain, where one finds at least three different trunks headed, respectively, by King Hamad, Khalifah bin Salman, and the Defense Minister and his brother. The extent and implications of these intra-Al Khalifa divisions are well known. They are aptly summarized by a recent observation of erstwhile BICI chief Cherif Bassiouni, who in an interview said that King Hamad must choose between "the unity of the [ruling] family" and "the unity of the country." (See video below.)

For now we simply note this first effect as it does not bear directly on the discussion of Gulf Air here. (Although this Financial Times story seems to suggest otherwise, namely that Gulf Air and its holding company Mumtalakat are close to the Crown Prince and ruffled conservative feathers in being among the first companies to reinstate sacked employees after the crackdown.)

The second upshot of this design of government is that ministers and other top officials enjoy a freedom of action in proportion to their relative standing within the ruling family, a situation not only conducive for competition, as noted already, but also for capricious behavior in line with personal interests rather than those of the state. To wit: the foreign minister's decision two weeks ago to bar government employees from traveling on Gulf Air indefinitely following the latter's refusal to eject a paying customer from Sh. Khalid's preferred first class seat on a return flight from Malaysia. Suffering already from a sharp drop in passenger numbers that has put it on the verge of collapse, Gulf Air must now deal with a powerful royal nursing an offended sense of dignity.

Cutting Off the Nose to Spite the Face

Which leads directly to the final way in which the failure of Bahrain's airline is a microcosm for the failure of Bahrain itself: measures taken ostensibly "to safeguard the nation from terrorists" in fact have only served to mire the country further into chaos. Here of course I refer to Bahrain's post-uprising decision to cancel Gulf Air flights--its most lucrative flights, in fact--to Iran, Iraq, and (until June) Lebanon, out of supposed concern that terrorists could somehow smuggle weapons and/or themselves into Bahrain; or that Bahrainis could travel to Iran to train with the Revolutionary Guard and MacGeyver and come back equipped to conduct asymmetrical warfare despite a total lack of non-Molotov-based weapons. As one Gulf Air "insider" told the Gulf News, "You cannot expect the company to soar if its wings are clipped by suspending highly profitable routes."

Here much could be said about the continued political and security strategy employed by the government, and about how in its near-hysterical fear of Shi'a empowerment the state has merely emboldened and disillusioned ordinary Shi'a many times over. Bahrain's priority now is protecting riot police against increasingly-violent demonstrators, rather than obviating the need for their use in the first place through meaningful political reforms. Though it continues to mull the appropriate actions in response to the BICI report's damning charges, and though the same practices condemned in the BICI's report continue to claim the lives of protesters and others, still the state's "reform" initiative continues to revolve around reorganization of the forces charged with confronting protesters. Condemned for punching protesters in the face, Bahrain's solution is to wear softer gloves, rather than to stop punching or to call off the fight.

More accurately, police will be given "a fire-resistant outfit, a helmet to protect the head, face and neck, and other tools to protect their chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs and feet. They will also be provided with shields and sticks that meet international standards. They will be given gas and sound bombs as well as guns that fire rubber bullets." This "modernization of equipment," says Sh. Rashid in an official statement, "continues to assist policemen in performing their duties." You know what might also assist policeman in performing their duties? Not having to face off with angry Shi'a villagers every night.

About the latter the BNA tells simply: "He [Sh. Rashid] also spoke about the recent rioting in residential areas, considering that as a threat to civil peace. He called upon the people to end the issue and move forward and be more united." So the Interior Ministry's solution to the political standoff inciting ordinary citizens to brave bodily harm in order to make their demands known is to say, "Hey, guys, get over your revolution and the detentions and deaths and torture of your friends and family members; get over the fact that you have no reasonable expectation to influence government policy, much less play a efficacious role in deciding it; just get over it and be more united."

Bahrain's solution to its political crisis: "Hey, opposition: get over it and be more united."

Of course, this is not even to mention the other unintended consequence of the state strategy of dealing with the ongoing conflict, namely the newfound political awakening of ordinary Sunni citizens, recently treated here at length. To this development we may now add another: Mahmud al-Yusif reports on a meeting yesterday at Bahrain's revered Al-'Aruba Club (not that Aruba) involving some 200 people and headed by one-time Minister of Education and Minister of Health 'Ali Fakhru. Its purpose was to "define a route to get back to the negotiation table using the Crown Prince’s agreed principles of discussion" from February. That so many and such a diverse set of groups have taken it upon themselves to try to find a way out of the crisis would seem to suggest a distinct lack of government initiative to do the same.

Update: We might add yet another similarity between the cases of Gulf Air and Bahrain: investor flight. An article in the Gulf Daily News reports that many Bahrainis, including many "big families," are "making contingency plans" for leaving the country--and they're taking their money with them.
One Bahraini, who did not want to be named, said he had plans to move to Dubai because he did not want to live in an environment filled with violence.
"I have even booked my tickets and have my passport with me, just in case I need to go quickly, because February 14 is coming up and we don't know what will happen," he told the GDN.

"I know people who bought houses in Saudi Arabia and Dubai and a lot of big families have transferred money."

He said citizens were being forced to leave their homes and jobs to move to other countries because the government had not taken strong actions. ...

Another Bahraini said her parents had contingency plans to move to Kuwait if the situation in the country deteriorates. ...

"My mother has all the documents ready in a folder which literally says 'Plan B' and includes selling some of our property to survive in another country.

So far, neither international investors nor foreign patrons (read: the United States) have followed suit in abandoning Bahrain. As for the latter in particular, the U.S.'s recent conspicuous lack of involvement is indeed difficult to interpret.

Update 2: Several columns in Al-Watan detail the Al-Fatih Awakening's most recent rally at the Clock Roundabout in al-Riffa', which evidently was dispersed for a lack of permit. Al-Zayani writes that this Sunni mobilization due to the state's "toleration of a type of extremism" will serve to "generation another" type of extremism, telling,
The day before yesterday, Al-Fatih National Unity Gathering organized a mass mobilization at the Clock Roundabout despite the cold weather to protest against not arming the security forces and leaving them vulnerable to all types of terrorism, killing and weapons.

The day before yesterday, the youths of the southern region also issued a statement warning that any targeting of the security forces in the southern region or in any other region and any targeting of university girls would not be tolerated and that they had already prepared a plan “as it was published” to ensure security for all areas and that they had all the necessary force and equipment to maintain it.
I.e., more Sunni militias coming to a Bahrain near you.

Update 3: And in case you missed it at FP: "Obama administration using loophole to quietly sell arms package to Bahrain." Imagine that.

Update 4: The secret government-opposition talks rumor mill is spinning up. Sawt al-Manama (via BahrainOnline) reports that 'Abd al-Jalil Khalil has invited King Hamad to "a dialogue with the opposition." At the same time, yesterday's Gulf News cites an Al-Ayam article (which quotes an anonymous source) claiming that "contacts have started between some 'political societies with strong influence on the local scene with the aim to prepare the ground for a national dialogue that will result in bringing Bahrainis together and reinforcing national unity.'" Is everyone ready for a National Dialogue #2?

Update 5: Iran's Green Movement is planning renewed mass protests for... February 14. Wait, so are Bahraini Shi'a supported by Iran or by the Iranian opposition? I'm so confused.

Also, the AP lobs the first salvo in the upcoming onslaught of Feb. 14 anniversary analyses.

ODMEA
7th Feb 2012, 01:31
:= You pompous so and so...I have paid approx 200K AUD over 10 years in F class airfares from SYD to Middle East and EU with GF. I'm a gold for life..THAT'S involvment. Therefore I have paid one year of your salary!
May I remind you you dont fly these alminum tubes empty and for the fun of it-people pay to travel and are THE basis of your occupation on the whole.:*

Ion-athan
7th Feb 2012, 06:09
ODMEA here is an idea for you. Why don't you go an open your own forum with pax complains because this forum if you didn't notice is a Professional Pilot Rumors Network. And ODMEA please do us the favor because you are far from being loyal. Let me remind you some of your old posts:

Those where the days driftdown-GF loyalty
Wish I still thought like you drift down, GF burnt me out being a loyal pax a while ago now. Not sure what, other than perhaps more direct flights, keeps you with GF considering they offer by far an inferior soft and hard product relatively.

Although if you're happy GF are lucky and should indeed appreciate your custom considering the perpetual purgatory in which GF exists; will Mr Majalis be the light at the end of GF's current darker than black tunnel?

Oddy.

Im guessing as soon as EY EK QR start servies to Baghdad GF will fade into insignificance and thats not suprising considering the poor soft and hard product they offer and the rags of ac they fly.

Charity for GF-anyone got a cheap plane?
Not to worry, GF are great at scavenging for other carriers leftovers...I'm sure they'll find an A330 out there someplace - if not a paid for one from Tolouse.

This airline is now just hot air....just got an email telling me they had uped baggage allowance..about 4 months after EK did the same. They only mentioned the benefits of in flight nanny...dont they normally sing about the in flight chef from the highest mountain too? Or cant they afford that anymore?..stupid carrier if thats the case, one major plus and they dump it.

GF RIP

As an ex pax I can't tell u reading these threads how glad I am cut up that gold ff card. I told em I want to opt out and they still send me a silver card. Stupid airline.

I may only be a loyal GF pax but I think the cabin crew member who told me all 787 orders are going to EK may just well be correct after all this "restructuring!"

So is ODMEA loyal or not? From his last post surely he confused us all.

ODMEA are you doing this as a hobby? Because you surely like to stick your nose in every airline forum with a negative feedback in most of them......

As far as my salary concern I can see you are being slightly arrogant there. I would have drunk one glass of my tasteful wine but with that kind of attitude I changed my mind.

mamamia
7th Feb 2012, 06:27
FRESH NEWS:D MFT A330/A340 SANJAY SABRA SEEN IN AUH APPLYING FOR ETIHAD AND ONE INSTRUCTOR THATS LOYALITY THAT TELL YOU HOW GULF AIR IS PERFORMING :ugh:

samjetblaster
7th Feb 2012, 07:25
Cheers:ok:

SCATANA
7th Feb 2012, 08:14
Please tell me AA :yuk: was also seen there.

mamamia
7th Feb 2012, 08:26
eventually sanjay got his friends there he is going as an instructor on a320 plus one bulgarian:D instructor

Landflap
7th Feb 2012, 09:24
Thanks Welco & Ozz. Lots of my mates still in Gf & many other associates also connected to the GF developments. That is why we continue to read & post. Very stressed emotions going on that we can all understand but Ion's regular outbursts do worry me.Keep that kind of re-action out of the Flight Deck Ion, if you can't, stay away please.

Propellor
7th Feb 2012, 18:20
S'njay going - of course, GF can do without him. Aren't there enough loyal locals to take the position?

Just look at his record - he was so disloyal to GF - that he kept busting his A** here at GF and he did not learn while GF tactically got rid of the other trouble makers who tried to hold strange training standards - Risk James, Chr's and then Bob. So silly of him!

So goodbye S'njay - GF can get another smarter Bahraini to replace you who will not object to such good training here.

The real question is not whether he learned or not, maybe he did learn. The real question is did GF learn anything ?

History does not repeat itself! Hic! By the way, why don't we call the CAI-BAH flights 072 again?

ODMEA
7th Feb 2012, 21:06
Ion my mate..gotta take the good with the bad...im allowed to voice opinion on what I spent money on..and yes, I do pay your salary..something pilots seem not to like to hear -perhaps because it's the truth..without me you have NO JOB bucco...so cargo, VIP or crop dusting it is perhaps medical retreival if you're lucky.

Nauron
7th Feb 2012, 21:33
expat attackers arrested:

Ministry of Interior: Media Center (http://www.policemc.gov.bh/en/news_details.aspx?type=1&articleId=11528)

T O G A Boy
8th Feb 2012, 06:52
I suppose if Sanjay leaves then his brown nosed friend S.A. should follow suit as well. Since he is earning the title of the most hated guy in GF.

Ion-athan
8th Feb 2012, 11:46
ODMEA I never doubted that the more pax, cargo, mail, etc I carry the more profit my company wil make but that doesn't make me your servant so please watch out with this arrogant attitude.

Concerning raising your opinion let me show you again one of your "humble" statement.

Charity for GF-anyone got a cheap plane?
Not to worry, GF are great at scavenging for other carriers leftovers...I'm sure they'll find an A330 out there someplace - if not a paid for one from Tolouse.

This airline is now just hot air....just got an email telling me they had uped baggage allowance..about 4 months after EK did the same. They only mentioned the benefits of in flight nanny...dont they normally sing about the in flight chef from the highest mountain too? Or cant they afford that anymore?..stupid carrier if thats the case, one major plus and they dump it.

GF RIP

This is not just an opinion rather somebody making an arrogant and intimidating statement. In other words your feedback doesn't make anyone one any better. So like I said before go build you own site with angry pax complaints and leave us alone.

As for your concerns landflap are totally justifiable and obviously i wasn't targeting you.

slowjet
8th Feb 2012, 12:43
Ozzi, one of the best posts seen on any site.Rumours and news, spot on. Opinions, welcome if you are free enough to speak.Your reporting of facts, no doubt as accurate as you can deliver. Well done.

ironbutt57
8th Feb 2012, 14:33
FPA.....what does your uneducated post have to do with GF developments?

mamamia
8th Feb 2012, 17:08
too much to talk

AeroForce
8th Feb 2012, 19:00
FPA seems to hold a personal grudge towards Ironbutt, the indian trainers and perhaps also other expatriate training captains.

Maybe it's got something to do with his own level of ability, skills, personal conduct (as clearly showcased on this forum) and general level of intelligence that might have caused some failures in the simulator or on the line with these particular people, while "other trainers" might have been more lenient, I'm just guessing here :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I've heard that the Prime Minister personally advanced a cheque for 100 billion dinar to merge the 2 national airlines and make the new Gulf Air bigger and better than EK, EY and QR put together :ok:

tmax
8th Feb 2012, 19:03
EUROPA? or sitra,janusan,tubli, diraz? he he!!! you wished u had 1% of the skills these guys have!!

ODMEA
8th Feb 2012, 21:19
fact remains...pax dont fly airlines go broke, you have no job.:ok:

Nauron
8th Feb 2012, 21:50
Back on topic, I've heard that the Prime Minister personally advanced a cheque for 100 billion dinar to merge the 2 national airlines and make the new Gulf Air bigger and better than EK, EY and QR put together

Really, AeroForce? 100 billion dinars? Quite a wild imagination you've got there. And heard from who, exactly? Very credible sources, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

ironbutt57
9th Feb 2012, 00:56
Yup appears indeed he does, never mind not a credible source anyway!

DesertHawk
9th Feb 2012, 01:58
I have been away from prune but could not sit here and listen to this. FPA u r a real piece of work. U sit there and say completely rude and flat out BS comments about someone on here. Thats a personal attack and should be just that PERSONAL. u have a prob say it to his face, oh u wont do that cause u might have to stand up and confront him! SAD u R, also to continue my rant, being an instructor is not about ur 320 obsession its about mentoring and assisting in the learning process something MANY people could learn from good old IB!

IB, :ok: still a stand up guy in my book

mamamia
9th Feb 2012, 03:20
sue is wooried his dear friend sanjay is leaving and you know what Tayagi leaving too to jet airways sad sad sad

AeroForce
9th Feb 2012, 06:25
ODMEA, do everyone a favour and go and lock yourself in a private F cabin on your travels and please don't use the call bell. I feel sorry for the cabin attendants already. Your arrogance and ignorance really has no limits. FYI a lot of pilots hold university degrees in different fields or have their own businesses. Most of us do this job out of passion for flying. There will be plenty of pilot jobs as long as you need to travel from A-B.

Nauron, rid3r, Ironbutt57, really? Come on guys I thought it was ridiculously obvious. Intended quite the opposite with my remark. :ok:

Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] (http://www.pprune.org/#cite_note-0) is a rhetorical device (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Rhetorical_device), literary technique (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Literary_technique), or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. There is presently no accepted method for textually indicating irony, though an irony (punctuation) mark (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation) has been proposed.
Ironic statements (verbal irony (http://www.pprune.org/#Verbal_irony)) typically imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning. A situation is often said to be ironic (situational irony (http://www.pprune.org/#Situational_irony)) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended.

Irony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony)

Gordomac
9th Feb 2012, 13:05
Desert Hawk, with you on that. IB, absolutely top instructor & many of us lucky to have had his tutorship. As someone else said, stress levels exceptionally high and understandeable re-actions coming from all quarters. Try very hard not to take swings at eachother though. Every man for himself right now but stay professional and you will get through this.

ironbutt57
9th Feb 2012, 13:34
Thanks guys, was wondering what I ever did to those two...yup interesting times ahead to say the least...

Business Suit Bree
9th Feb 2012, 15:58
Oh my,I signed up here wishing to give a piece of my mind to FPA but seems like he has been taken care of...
I do have some time since the chicken must be marinated for an exact 28 hours so let me write up my posty....
Haven't prepared what to type on so here it goes,don't you all think that Gulf Air reducing in size may come to the point that the revenue it may result in will be so insignificant that it would no longer be an asset to Bahraini government? This will just kill the very reason for downsizing this rust bucket.We don't know what will happen to the beloved golden falcon but what I hear and predict is many of you might as well just abandon ship.There is certainly no room for expatriates in this airline.I know I am pointing out the obvious but take it as a reminder since you need to think long and hard before you decide to stay loyal or jump ship since a lot of you have families who depend on you.This is the first time I have ever typed up a message on an internet forum so sorry in advanced making a "bad post"
I've heard that the Prime Minister personally advanced a cheque for 100 billion dinar to merge the 2 national airlines and make the new Gulf Air bigger and better than EK, EY and QR put together http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
I insist that what ever you were smoking,please, for the love of god stop it...Don't get offended I was just trying to lighten the mood here. :8

AeroForce
9th Feb 2012, 18:57
I insist that what ever you were smoking,please, for the love of god stop it...Don't get offended I was just trying to lighten the mood here.Exactly what I tried to do. :ugh:

Goodness me, are we are group of educated pilots or a bunch of illiterates?

Satire, Irony, Sarcasm. Look it up in the dictionary if you still don't understand. Often executed by stand up comedians, taking a subject so far out of the ordinary, obvious and opposite to an extend that it is: funny. :confused:

Ok here for the reality: no extra money coming, reduction of fleet, no merger, crew resignations in the pipeline and certainly no competition with the other GCC airlines. (sigh) :( it needed explanation.

mamamia
9th Feb 2012, 19:43
the bus is moving on when mft a330/a340 is leaving its time to go no hope here unless you are a manager or instructor both are leaving if your are anexpat think about it the company is down when they moved away staff travel benefits the company run out of money

jackx123
10th Feb 2012, 03:43
FYI a lot of pilots hold university degrees in different fields
or have their own businesses. Most of us do this job out of passion for flying.

Apparently not very successfully :rolleyes:

Sal-e
10th Feb 2012, 16:30
Will all expats get retrenched?

showel
11th Feb 2012, 05:05
Reminds me of a letter from management on webmail, a lot of words and nothing specific :-)

Sal-e
11th Feb 2012, 09:50
So are expat pilots getting retrenched or not?

mamamia
11th Feb 2012, 13:04
yes difinitly they going to get rid of expats puting the company on the market they want to get our indemnity thats why never put your life in risk:=

Che Guevara
11th Feb 2012, 15:47

Unless they are going to put second officers in the left seat, no. :rolleyes:
Furthermore, several expats are on the move already, just waiting for course dates with our neighbours. Lets not forget that they are very very short of crew already with aircraft deliveries due very soon, and no, they have not been cancelled yet......major loss of face if they were to be, for sure, not good for the 'brand'....

Good luck all.

WELCO
11th Feb 2012, 23:20
Quote:
Unless they are going to put second officers in the left seat, no. :rolleyes:
Furthermore, several expats are on the move already, just waiting for course dates with our neighbors. Lets not forget that they are very very short of crew already with aircraft deliveries due very soon, and no, they have not been cancelled yet......major loss of face if they were to be, for sure, not good for the 'brand'....

Good luck all.

Hmmm... Did everybody read that?? EVERYBODY?!:rolleyes:

Cheers Che!

& yeah... Good luck!

showel
12th Feb 2012, 15:08
Mr M is soooooo happy on the photo:}

buba
12th Feb 2012, 17:02
It will prob go to 'refurbishing' HQ.. A very expensive make over indeed. They'v been at it for months.

CLB-1
12th Feb 2012, 19:40
Shambolic! Might as well chuck it in the gulf. Get rid of a 1/3 of HQ staff, advertise properly in key markets and invest well in the on board product, and use the money definitively. Where's the accountability?? More to the point, who cares?

sondbird101
14th Feb 2012, 01:43
A fool and his money are quickly parted. The 80 million will last according to the current burn rate is 56 days. No urgency to fix the place just to keep taking last gulp of air (Gulp Air). What a shame Majali.

buba
14th Feb 2012, 03:29
Heard a former VPO might be on his way to becoming the next CEO.

mamamia
14th Feb 2012, 03:45
buba no they want sam and nas and has to stay but the next few months going to be bolywood act good luck allllllllllll

buba
14th Feb 2012, 05:37
Might aswel join in the song and dance.. Those bollywood acts last forever.. Lol

mamamia
14th Feb 2012, 07:30
bu thats why it valentinoo day love of managment and so on

buba
14th Feb 2012, 08:03
Yes.. One love...!

John21UK
14th Feb 2012, 09:38
Back to topic;

Gulf Air to Stop Flights to 4 Cities for Commercial Reasons - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-14/gulf-air-to-stop-flights-to-4-cities-for-commercial-reasons-1-.html)

ATH, DAM, MXP and KUL axed on top of EBB and GVA.

buba
14th Feb 2012, 09:51
Heard mayb cmb(hope not), pew(no love lost), ist, copenhagen.
Cdg and fra might go onto the 321 but then again one can rest assured to wake up one morning to a tottaly different game plan

jackx123
14th Feb 2012, 16:07
total closure of Bahrain and gf.

Gulf Daily News » Local News » New visa rules are slammed (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDetails.aspx?storyid=323695)