PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Geetea
4th Apr 2008, 15:37
Can't possible get much worse than in scotland! Our amateur/junior footy season is 6 weeks behind because of all the postponements because of the crappy weather!

raoul80
5th Apr 2008, 07:52
Just a curiosity there's any italian candidates here?

woskam
6th Apr 2008, 16:17
Just a quick question to anybody who has done phase 3 recently - its held at the Crew Training Centre in Bournemouth now, right? A lot of earlier posts on this thread say its at Dibden, but I was led to believe it was now held in Bournemouth.

dhc1180
6th Apr 2008, 16:20
I've got an assesment tomorrow at Bournemouth

woskam
6th Apr 2008, 16:40
Cheers for that dj! Wanted to make sure before I turned up at the wrong place!

pt_flyer
6th Apr 2008, 17:09
I got a question. I'm thinking of doing an aerospace/aeronautical engineering degree. I will probably need student finance. After completing the degree I plan on getting some professional experience and than apply for CTC. My question is will CTC not let me have the unsecured loan because I already am repaying the student loan I took to get my degree?
:ok:

pt_flyer
6th Apr 2008, 17:45
Cheers dj.
Are you satisfied with uni of Liverpool? I've been looking at unis that have good mechanical engineering departments and have seen that Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol, Bath, Southampton and of course Cambridge are good.

Another question, what would you recommend doing, the BEng and save a year or the MEng?

pt_flyer
6th Apr 2008, 18:50
Thank you for the good advice. I was worried that RR, Airbus, BAE, etc only accepted those that had gone through the MEng way. BTW did you take your degree with pilot studies?

docash1983
6th Apr 2008, 18:56
Well done dj, I am about to embark on a similar venture. I’m just about to finish Uni and apply for CTC wings, how quickly did it take for you to get through the selection process from start to offer? I have a place at college of law, in order to get a job that will pay enough for modular training if CTC does not work out. However, they want a sizeable chunk of money by the end of August, and I was thinking of taking the tests down at CTC beginning of July, do think this is enough time?

RD29
6th Apr 2008, 19:32
I just wnating to know of some help please and many many thank you to Mr DJ and Mr V Bells for your support.

I have bought some software to practice the deviation and flying through frame tests. On the devaition test my deviation is around 70 (with zero being best). Is this good enough? On the actual day if the cross goes off the centre you fail...how many time you are allowed to go off the centre?

Mucho Gracias!!!:ok::ok:

I am so scared now!!!!

RD29
6th Apr 2008, 19:53
Mr DJ....you said you got 3 x 9 scores...what is the score out of 10 or 20?

Thank you DJ I will use your advice to be making good breaks.

Thank you very much

Tamesy1
6th Apr 2008, 19:58
RD..i take it your refering to cockpitweb?? 70 isnt too bad to start with. The version on cockpitweb is a bit jerkier than the pilapt version I reckon, probably making it a little harder than pilapt. A good tip is to run the numbers exercise whilst you do the deviation test at the same time. Great way to practice for the final pilapt section...the dreaded multitasking!

DJ...beat ya...i got 9,10,10 :E lol!!

RD29
6th Apr 2008, 20:04
But your scores 9, 10, 10 what are they out of??

Tamesy1
6th Apr 2008, 20:09
10 my friend. Don't have a clue how it works out your score..but it's definitely 10.

RD29
6th Apr 2008, 20:13
and which one out of pilapt prep and cockpit web is more realistic for the hands and deviation exercise?

Thanks tamsey

pt_flyer
6th Apr 2008, 20:17
RD, did you do easy, medium or hard?

Tamesy1
6th Apr 2008, 20:21
Couldn't tell you mate, i've never had pilaptprep. Cockpitweb does the job though, if a little pricey and full of irrelevant exercises!

RD29
6th Apr 2008, 20:31
Tamesy just out of interest mate what kjind of scoes were you getting on the cockpitweb deviation and frames test prior to the lovely PILAPT test.

I am averaging 70-80 on deviation on more difficult and on the frames 17-18 out of 21 frames for the more difficult level.

Nice to see another CTCer from good old manchester!!!! :)

finals40
6th Apr 2008, 20:40
Hi there. I have my stage 2 for the ATP wings selection. I was wondering if you could provode any tips for me.

During the deviation tests, flying through frames tests how much tolerance do they give you to pass? On the cockpitweb software I have about 70 for the deviation and manage 18 frames for the frame exercise. Have I a long way to go yet?

Also any tips for the mental maths test?

Cheers....much appreciated!

pt_flyer
6th Apr 2008, 20:55
Try out the most difficult. I would think it would train you better.
Are you doing Crossbar I or Crossbar II?

RD29
6th Apr 2008, 21:03
i am doing crossbar 11 and you...what score for deviation are you getting?

pt_flyer
6th Apr 2008, 21:32
@RD - I'm doing Crossbar II - most difficult. My score ranges from 80 to 120.

@DJ- We are talking about one of the cockpitweb (http://www.cockpitweb.com/) tests. Unfortunately you have to pay to get them.

pt_flyer
6th Apr 2008, 22:03
I can say it has given me a lot more confidence. Before doing these tests I had no clue of how I would perform in P2, now I know where I stand.

raoul80
7th Apr 2008, 07:07
Thanks a lot dj. I hope a lot joining CTC because in Italy there isn't opportunity to become a pilot without a bank finance support that is provided only for people with bonds. :-(

the_boy_nb
7th Apr 2008, 12:08
Hi, don't know if anyones been in a similar situation to me regarding the finances for CTCwings.

Basically I have a pushing 6,000 pounds credit card debt with HSBC that for the past 5 months I have been unable to repay. I'm going to start making some token payments as of next month.

I'm working abroad at the moment and am preparing to apply for the ctcwings cadet program. I don't want to waste my time though if there isn't much chance of me getting the finance.

Has anyone had any issues with getting the loan from HSBC if you have some debts with them already? I was wondering if I could transfer the credit card debt to that loan, or trying to reason with them that if (assuming I pass selection) they don't I'll be going back to my crappy paid job abroad and continuing to be unable to afford to pay the credit card. At least they are pretty sure I am going to get a decent paid job in the UK at the end of the training and I will pay it back?

I'm sure people may not want to discuss their financial matters on an open forum. I'm jsut looking for someone who maybe could suggest a course of action. Will it jsut depend on how the bank feels on that day, or are there some hard and fast rules they will apply regarding a credit check etc? Anyone else had experiences like this, have tried a different bank etc?

Thanks in advance!

pt_flyer
7th Apr 2008, 12:52
What happened at Hamilton? I saw a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miAlKVXZUZc)on Youtube of a fire there.

spaceman18
7th Apr 2008, 14:15
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10502309&ref=rss

Vbells
7th Apr 2008, 15:04
I have a lot of student debt including overdrafts and credit cards, although I have been making payments since I graduated. I have checked with Experian and Equifax and my credit score and credit rating are both excellent because I haven't missed any payments and manage my debt well. That does not mean that I will be accepted for credit with HSBC, which is a source of worry for me too. I have no problem getting credit elsewhere (to move my debts, not increase them) but then I've never applied to borrow £60,000 unsecured before. I know that I can manage my debts while training, but that may not be enough for HSBC.

I have a feeling that if you have not made any payments to your credit card at all you will have serious problems getting credit. However, the agreement between CTC and HSBC is in a league of its own so I think that only someone who has experienced this situation, or someone from CTC itself, could answer this question properly.

As for the student loan, the companies that provide them will only take money from you if you are earning a certain salary. If you are training with CTC you won't be on a salary and therefore shouldn't be required to make payments. As such, I don't imagine this will affect your chances with HSBC.

N.B. As a general rule, you are more likely to be accepted for credit if you have debt that you manage properly rather than no debt at all! If you have no credit or do not use your credit facilities, you are deemed an unknown by lenders and as such are less attractive. Again, this may NOT apply to the agreement with HSBC.

the_boy_nb
7th Apr 2008, 21:54
I'm not worried about my student grad debts.

I ran up a big credit card, over 5 grand, and I made the regualr monthly repayments when I was working in South Korea. That job came to an end and I am now working in Bangkok for an IT company and although the pay is good for Thai standards it doesn't allow me to repay the money I owe to HSBC credit card. I missed 5 months payments and am going to start paying them some sort of contribution.

My thoughts on it were as follows, although I am not clued up on how banks work :-

They could transfer the balance of the credit card to my bond and add it to that?

I could explain that if I passed selection and go onto employment with an airline I would then be able to afford to repay them. If not then I would be going back to my low paid job in Bangkok with not much hope of ever paying the card off.

Not sure if either approach would work, like I say I haven't had many dealings with banks and don't know much about these things.

the_boy_nb
7th Apr 2008, 22:30
Yeah thanks I will contact the credit agencies and see what they have to say about my credit rating.

It was already poor from what I can gather because I don't have a regular income going into and out of my bank account. Well I do, just not my UK one.

I would like to try and get this strightened out before I apply, I don't want to put all the time and effort into the application, fly back just for the interviews to pass and then be knocked back on the finance. Rther like having your dream in your hand sonly to loose it again.

I contacted ctcwings and they said speak to my bank, but my local branch didn't have any clue about the ctcwings scheme when I spoke with them.

komac2
8th Apr 2008, 04:47
and arson was suspected I believe....

Not Even - They were probably Lucky Clearways wasn't smoked out considering it was directly down wind on Sat Evening and less the 3km down the road.

raoul80
8th Apr 2008, 06:36
HI guys how's the weather in NZ?

pt_flyer
8th Apr 2008, 08:19
Click here (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/NZXX0013?from=36hr_topnav_business) for 10 day weather forecast for Hamilton, New Zealand.

raoul80
8th Apr 2008, 08:28
About like Italy I see..

raoul80
8th Apr 2008, 09:57
Guys I need help.. I've compiled the form but today i've received this mail. Who can help me?

Dear nunzio

Thank you for your application to the CTC Wings Programme. However, in order to process your application we need some further information.

Can we ask you to provide us with more information regarding your academic qualifications. We need to know what examinations you undertook at 16 and 18 years. Can you supply the local name of the examinations, the subjects taken and the grades achieved.

You can input this information, using the 'other' option, at the bottom of the qualifications list, which allows free-typing. We can then use our Global Qualifications Database to equate your overseas qualifications to UK ones.

Please add this information directly onto your form where possible and let us know once this is completed.

Regards
CTC Wings Selection Team

Gar
8th Apr 2008, 10:03
It looks as if you haven't provided enough information about what exam grades you got from school. I had this problem - I only put details of my most senior exams but they wanted to know about everything I acheived before then. Go back into your application and put down information about every exam you have sat and every qualification you have

EDIT: Oh yeah, and email them once you have added this information

raoul80
8th Apr 2008, 10:35
I've just a high school degree..

Gar
8th Apr 2008, 11:09
I see, i'm afraid i'm not clued up on how the Italian schooling system works. Do you not have individual grades for subjects such as Mathematics, Physics etc? Maybe if you email CTC explaining exactly what your high school degree means they will be able to understand better

JBwannabe
8th Apr 2008, 11:13
Hi Guys,

This is my first ever post. I applied for the CTC program a while back now, probably January time and I was delighted when I received the email telling me that I have been accepted for the 2nd stage process. I am heading off down to Bournemouth for the 29th

I think that this is the one of the 1st times that the 2nd and 3rd stages are carried out on the same day. Having read previous posts on the subject I am nervous about it but at the same time looking forward to it. I think that the advice given out has been a great help and hopefully I will be able to progress to the 4th stage and beyond.

Good luck to anyone else out there in the same situation.

JBwannabe

JBwannabe
8th Apr 2008, 12:44
Thanks DJ

I am working on all of the above just now. A lot to learn/refresh myself on.

pt_flyer
8th Apr 2008, 12:53
@raoul
To qualify for CTC wings cadet you need to have qualifications to enter university. This does NOT mean you need a degree. In Italy I think it is called Licenza di scuola superiore. Correct me if I am wrong. This is what they want you to fill in, including the subjects you chose and the grades you achieved.
Hope this helped.

99jolegg
8th Apr 2008, 15:27
Does anyone know what the pass mark for the maths test is? (It's out of 15).

leeus1
8th Apr 2008, 15:32
@99jolegg.
I'm not sure anyone really knows - i dont think it's something CTC will tell candidates. I know a few people left a couple of questions and still passed. But it's probably quite high. Aim for 15/15 and you'll be fine ;)

For the guys who have stayed at Dibden Manor... I'm staying there tomorrow night for my Phase 4.. just wondered if anyone had any tips for places to get something to eat nearby?

Looking forward to my Ph4.. i'm quite chuffed i've got this far.. just hope I make it through!

Cheers guys for all your help! Lee

poss
8th Apr 2008, 17:15
Good luck for that phase 4 is loads of fun.
As for the maths test rumour has it you have to get 12... keyword 'rumour'.
The maths questions, as long as you follow all the advice here telling you to learn/refresh yourself on conversions, multiplication, division etc, are straight forward and it's not impossible to finish with 5mins to spare.

leeus1
8th Apr 2008, 17:46
I agree... i was really worried about not being able to do the questions in time. Yet i finished with about 5 mins to go... went back over some and corrected a few mistakes.

99jolegg
8th Apr 2008, 19:02
Ok, thanks for the replies. I'd imagine it's around 12-13 out of 15, that'd make it 80-85% for a pass.

leeus1
8th Apr 2008, 19:06
Forgot to say.. something that helped me was to ignore decimal places and also get rid of zeros on the end of large numbers. eg 80000/45000 = 80/45. I know it sounds obvious but it's really useful when you're short of time.

Lee

komac2
8th Apr 2008, 21:22
Click here (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/NZXX0013?from=36hr_topnav_business) for 10 day weather forecast for Hamilton, New Zealand.

Your better off going here weather wise for Hamilton: http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=hamilton

as the weather observations are takin from Ham Airport for metservice.

mattkcraven
8th Apr 2008, 21:41
Definantely a 12-13 out of 15 is around the pass mark, but we'll never know I dont think. Just quite intrigued whether people will be given the oppurtunity to resit the math test (like myself and a few others :}) with phase 2 & 3 on the same day as off now. Must have just failed the math first time and was pretty confident with the pilapt (no re-sit allowed with the aptitude tests), just appreciated the second oppurtunity at stage 3.

raoul80
9th Apr 2008, 06:41
Thank a lot guy:ok: i've seen there are differences about Uk and Italy grades. I don't know first ones...

finals40
9th Apr 2008, 09:31
Hi there,,,thanks for your post and encouragement to the rest of us.

I just wnated to ask you about stasge 2....any tips you can give us for the last test when you do all three tasks together?

Also regarding the suitcase man do they say negative/positive right hand circle etc....the negative bit does that mean the right way up or back to front..I am really nervous and confused!!

best wishes and well done mate enjoy!!

Lentäjä
9th Apr 2008, 09:33
Hi,
anyone here going for Phase2&3 on 7th of May:),will be going

Regards from Finland

Lentäjä
9th Apr 2008, 09:52
raoul80,

What you need to do is to put your Italian Grades, under other and they will compare with UK grades. CTC have data base for that. Got same message corrected them and then got message that have beeing accepted for phase 2

Good luck:ok:

leeus1
9th Apr 2008, 11:17
May I ask what you failed your phase 4 the first time on chelsce? I have mine tomorrow and i'm a bit worried about it! Thanks.. Feel free to pm me if you dont want to post it.

Lee

raoul80
9th Apr 2008, 11:36
The situation is that in my high school degree exam I' ve only 3 grades. The first is for both my italian and business economy. The second for my oral exams in very different subjects and finally the third dipends of a medium of votes during the five years of high school..

Matt101
9th Apr 2008, 11:40
Thanks to those guys who gave some advice - after having had some feedback from CTC it turns out that the "concentration" test was where I fell down - and only on one of the two times I did it during the day - Don't know whether it is a bummer to have been so close or good as gives me a better chance on my second go but needless to say am more determined to nail it than before.

On that note I know there are a couple of programmes out there they recon that can help you improve by the 1 or 2 points I need but I was wondering if anybody knew which of these tests had something similar to the one I need as I know niether are identical to Pilapt.

Concentraiton is the one with the grid with shifting coulours along the top and shifting shapes down the side and random shapes appearing within the grid - I am not surprised this was less than perfect for me - I rather hated it!

Thanks in advance guys (PS to anyone currently at Bristol Ground School I keep seeing you in my parents Pub in Axbridge with Air Law books! Stay off the Cider it rots your mind!) :ok:

leeus1
9th Apr 2008, 12:10
Cheers for the advice djfingerscrossed. I guess they cant expect too much of me when i've not really done any instrument flying before. I'm thinking that i'm probably going to sound like a wally too when describing anything. I dont really know all the technical words!

Ah well.. fingers crossed :)

Lee

pt_flyer
9th Apr 2008, 12:34
@ raoul,

You should just call CTC. They are the ones who can help you best.

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 12:52
leeus1

I guess they cant expect too much of me when i've not really done any instrument flying before.

DJ and co will confirm this but I believe it is VFR flight (mostly looking out of the window) an they aren't expecting you to be able to fly it or CTC wouldn't be needed, they're expecting you to be able to learn and take instructions.

I'm sure if you've got this far you'll be fine, just avoid breaking down under the pressure of a training captain task loading you :ok:

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 13:12
Christ-on-a-bike alright didn't know that. I was looking forward to the view! Nevermind... maybe in 2 years time :}

JBwannabe
9th Apr 2008, 14:43
Ifly

As of April the 15th phase 2 & 3 will be on the same day. 2 in the morning and if you fail that they boot you out in the street!!:(
If you pass it you stay for the 3rd phase in the afternoon.

I am taking part in the phase 2 assessment on the 29th ofApril (phase 3 to be confirmed;))

Anyone else going to the 29th assessment?

Exhibitz
9th Apr 2008, 14:55
Wow! both P2 and P3 on the same day, what a killer! i'm glad i've already done mine, certainly do feel sorry for those who have to do both on the same day. You feel pretty drained after all those tests, and to then go straight into teamworking/interview could be tricky to say the least :/ Even more prep required...

DJ, I think it is updated instantly as soon as you finish the test, and there is a set pass/fail mark that you have to achieve in order to go through, so I guess it would be possible.

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 15:04
Thanks for the sympathy guys :}, although I'm hoping their assesment criteria in the interview will have 'adapted' to take into consideration the exhaustion toward the end of the day!

The way it's phrased on the mail from CTC explaining the day is as follows:

If you successfully pass the morning session you may then be invited to stay for an interview in the afternoon. Results of the morning session will then be delivered face to face, however feedback will not be provided due to the volume of candidates and constraints of the timetable.

Brutal :eek:

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 15:21
I do like that idea, almost makes it seem easier, passing a day of assesment rather than 2.

I have read through the thread but could not find an accurate measure of how long the interview is likely to last. Some say 30 mins, others say 90, could I have some input on that?

I'm assuming also if the interview is, for example, 40 minutes long, there's a lot of waiting around for other candidates to have theirs to make it last all afternoon.

AdamLT
9th Apr 2008, 15:35
kerosine..

when i had my pahse 3 back in december i remember my interview lasting for about 50 minutes..and yes, there is a lot of waiting around, but use that time to chat to the others that are on the same phase as you.

poss
9th Apr 2008, 16:02
In the simulator they don't want you to perform amazingly, they want to see that you have the ability to learn from your mistakes. As Dave said, if you sit there and actively tell the assessor where your going wrong and what your going to do to correct it will bode well for you. Just think of it as playing a video game :).
Neither DJ and I started out doing well, we had opposite problems in there - over inputting, under inputting... but we showed a progession to where we put in just the right amount, probably the reason we passed.
Phase 2 and 3 in the same day is going to be killer.. perhaps they feel that one at a time isn't producing only the best onto the course so they changed it. I'm so glad I applied prior to this change!!
Haven't heard anything at all on the possibility of a Ryanair partnership from CTC although in some facebook groups the cadets have said a couple of things on it.

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 16:05
Apart from having enough time to calm your excitement after passing phase 3, does it matter how much time you have to prepare for phase 4??

poss
9th Apr 2008, 16:09
You can't prepare for it. Maybe looking at the flightdeck of a 737cg but you will be shown that and have everything explained to you prior to going in there and sitting in the left hand seat.

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 16:12
'scuse my ignorance, what is a 747cg? Cargo? Or did you mean NG?

I'm not nitpicking but aaaanything I'm not sure about I'm asking before my interview!

poss
9th Apr 2008, 16:50
737 Classic Generation.

pt_flyer
9th Apr 2008, 16:52
If you successfully pass the morning session you may then be invited to stay for an interview in the afternoon. Results of the morning session will then be delivered face to face, however feedback will not be provided due to the volume of candidates and constraints of the timetable.They do not say anything about a group exercise. Are they reducing the length of phase 3 so that both phase 2 and 3 can be done in one day?:confused:

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 20:04
They do not say anything about a group exercise. Are they reducing the length of phase 3 so that both phase 2 and 3 can be done in one day?No, more detail on this is included below (taken from confirmation of passing s1 email):

The morning session consists of a presentation by CTC providing further detail on the programme, followed by a question and answer session. You will then be asked to complete a set of computer based aptitude tests designed to predict your ability to learn to fly and undertake a numeracy test. In order to assess your interpersonal and team working skills there are a number of group activities.

If you successfully pass the morning session you may then be invited to stay for an interview in the afternoon. Results of the morning session will then be delivered face to face, however feedback will not be provided due to the volume of candidates and constraints of the timetable.

The report time for this assessment will be 0815 for a prompt 0830 start. We aim to be completed by 1730 so therefore be prepared to stay for the whole day pleased to offer you a complimentary lunch.

Poss
737 Classic Generation
Thanks, I believe the sim is a -300? Thinking about it, 20 mins in a sim cost around £200 if you were to do it elsewhere for fun, so I suppose your £176.25 is well spent!

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 21:01
No no... Read the post again:

... You will then be asked to complete a set of computer based aptitude tests designed to predict your ability to learn to fly and undertake a numeracy test. In order to assess your interpersonal and team working skills there are a number of group activities.

If you successfully pass the morning session you may then be invited to stay for an interview in the afternoon....

Kerosine
9th Apr 2008, 21:34
Nah it's a breeze :ok: .... ahem :sad:

We'll find next week how it works exactly.

raoul80
10th Apr 2008, 07:59
Thanks a lot guys I've solved my problem

adc3891
10th Apr 2008, 09:04
Well not to worry you guys who have a Stage 2&3 day to come, but i'm sat here thinking 'thank f***' I managed to get through it all before this change has been made! I'm sure it'll give you an even greater sense of satisfaction if you manage to get through though.

Regarding the question of preparing for S4, as other have said there isn't any preparation as such. However, for me S3 was always going to be the biggest hurdle and I was on an incredible high after passing that. I chose to leave it 2/3 weeks until my S4 (although that was partly due to having to give notice to work for annual leave) just so I could calm down a little and get my head together ready for S4.

I was conscious of getting through S3, being high on adrenaline and then underperforming at S4. OK it may not have happened that way in the end and maybe I would've still managed to get through S4 anyway, but looking back now knowing I'm off to NZ in June, I can only look back at the decision to delay my S4 as the correct decision.

JBwannabe
10th Apr 2008, 09:28
Hi guys

a quick question

Iam sure I have read this some where but is the maths exam a written exam or a computer based exam?:8

poss
10th Apr 2008, 09:30
*wanders who allmanc is....*
Are you part of the CP62 facebook group yet?

Maths exam is on a pc.

adc3891
10th Apr 2008, 09:48
Yeah Poss it's xxx. My username is just made up of my surname and initial.

Haven't really posted on here much, certainly read my fair share though!

poss
10th Apr 2008, 09:58
Haha so it is... I blame my lack of seeing the pattern on been at work to be honest. Thought we'd got a new member of CP62 lol... only 5 so far.

Kerosine
10th Apr 2008, 12:02
Can someone give me the dates of departure for CP62-CP64?

Keep the info flowin' boys :ok:

edited: Out of curiosity are there any ladies on our course??

mattkcraven
10th Apr 2008, 12:24
CP62 - 4th June
CP63 - 2nd July
CP64 - 6th August :}

pretty much always the first wednesday of the month i believe

poss
10th Apr 2008, 13:57
4th of June seems like such a long way away :(

poss
10th Apr 2008, 14:30
There are two on CP61 also, but dave your not there to hunt women mate. :p

Kerosine
10th Apr 2008, 15:22
Certainly not Poss.

edit: Myself and DJ are both Daves!

Kerosine
10th Apr 2008, 15:39
a bunch of bloomin muso's, its gonna be nice to be surrounded by smart men again

As a guitarist I'm quite offended! :ouch:

Nah just kiddin...

Argh I'm going to be sooooooo disappointed if this all comes to nothing for me, I'd love to see you all out there!

poss
10th Apr 2008, 15:47
a bunch of bloomin muso's, its gonna be nice to be surrounded by smart men again
I'll get my coat :(

That is rather funny (strange) that you studied sound engineering kel... thats what I did at college and what I've been doing work as in random places. Last summer I did live sound engineering at random festivals in Birmingham, Glasgow, Cardiff and other places... I also had a share in a recording studio for a while where we recorded, mixed and mastered many local bands music... I also dabble in audio creation for film, dubbing and film editing and production.

poss
10th Apr 2008, 17:45
Lol Dave, i'm just lending a hand mate :} < --- me in a few posts time :p.
Yes Kel go earlier! :)

poss
10th Apr 2008, 19:11
:( go for the 10k extra loan! :p I'm going with that and around 600 of my own dosh:p.

leeus1
10th Apr 2008, 21:13
Hey guys,

I had my phase 4 today and it feels amazing to say I passed!! :)

I'm currently down for CP64, but could be CP65 depending on finances as may have to get some cash together.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. Can't believe i've made the cut! Truly a surreal feeling!

Lee

Tamesy1
10th Apr 2008, 21:27
Well done Lee! Its all about 64 though!

poss
10th Apr 2008, 21:33
Looks like no one wants CP62 :'(.... Well done Lee :D

Geetea
10th Apr 2008, 23:56
On a slightly different note, I met Karen Bath and Lee Woodward from CTC today as they decided to pay my department at Glasgow Univerisity a visit to do a presentation. One thing he stressed to the folks who asked on how they could help prepare for the PILAPT tests is that the online tests are waste of money in his own experience(he says he even paid the 20 quid just to see what they were like) He says that CTC want to know your raw ability and in being honest if you dont have the raw ability its better to find out now after only paying 172 quid or whatever than when you have finished the foundation course and they tell you that you aint good enough and your left with 30k of the loan to pay back.

poss
11th Apr 2008, 00:19
Very right there Geetea... better to fail now than at the foundation course.

pt_flyer
11th Apr 2008, 08:13
What is this foundation course?

raoul80
11th Apr 2008, 10:53
So how much is the total cost for CTC wing cadet program?

pt_flyer
11th Apr 2008, 11:02
So the actual price is 60k + 5k (foundation course)?

poss
11th Apr 2008, 11:15
yes thats right... then you are allowed to take out 10k living money.

pt_flyer
11th Apr 2008, 11:26
Wow, they let you take out an unsecured loan of 75k!

EZYramper
11th Apr 2008, 11:31
Going on today's currency rates:

£60,5237.97

pt_flyer
11th Apr 2008, 11:35
Going on today's currency rates:

£60,5237.97

EZY, is the 75k not in pounds?

raoul80
11th Apr 2008, 11:36
Yes! the important thing is repay the loan!:}

Kerosine
11th Apr 2008, 12:03
Cheap as chips :ok:

preduk
11th Apr 2008, 12:22
Wow, they let you take out an unsecured loan of 75k!

Yes, CTC are also putting down a guarantee of 30k if you are removed from the course to cover any fees. HSBC are also aware of how CTC works, and understand it's the airlines who will be paying the money back + interest so it's safer for them. Especially with CTC's high employment rate.

poss
11th Apr 2008, 12:41
By the way if all the talk of getting removed is worrying you, just to eas your mind, if you put the work in you will pass. CTC have a VERY low drop/failure rate.

Ghostie31
11th Apr 2008, 13:42
I heard 2% but dont quote me on that.

Ghostie

poss
11th Apr 2008, 13:54
I think 2% is correct, rings a bell anyway.

preduk
11th Apr 2008, 13:57
They told me 1.2% yesterday, which is pretty low.

Miss_Cassutt
11th Apr 2008, 14:27
Hi Everyone,

Well I wish I could say the same as Lee...but unfortunately I failed Phase 4 although they have asked me to come back in September for a second try.
It is a big knock really and a terrible feeling..yet I have another chance!!!

6 months is a long way....and to be honest I am not 100% sure what went wrong. I was wondering if anyone had the same experience and finally passed on the 2nd time...please feel free to email me ([email protected]). ([email protected]).)
Actually I would love to hear from those who have failed the 1st time what was the feedback from CTC and how you have improved from the 1st time to the 2nd time...

Thanks..and all the best for all of you.

L.

PS: Kelly - If I pass the second time then I will try to go asap ie october.

Geetea
11th Apr 2008, 14:39
So yourself preduk was in the james watt building for the 4pm presentation,was alright wasnt it? They also said that failure rate in this part of the industry is an average of 5% so 1.2% failure rate on this flying school is still waaaaaaaaay below the average

raoul80
11th Apr 2008, 15:58
Guys just a curiosity... how have you know about CTC? Me about an italian aviation forum called Md80.it

99jolegg
11th Apr 2008, 16:16
Search engines and PPRuNe. If it ain't in either of those, there ain't too much more to know!

Kerosine
11th Apr 2008, 16:19
Is it just me or is the CTC application web page down?

http://www.ctcwings.co.uk/cadets/index.asp (click "Apply Now")

or go to http://ctcwings.ctcaviation.com/

Miss_Cassutt
11th Apr 2008, 17:35
Hi Everybody,

I had my phase 4 yesterday...unfortunately I didn't pass this time. However I have been asked to come back in September to try again...so at least I have another chance...

It 's a terrible feeling to feel that close and yet to fail...argh!!! It's killing me and the dream of flying soon seems miles away :(.
I was wondering if anyone had the same experience and fail stage 4 the first time but passed the second time. Please send me an email....It would be nice to share what went wrong and what was the feedback from CTC. I must have done something wrong...and yet I am not sure what went wrong...personal attitude and /or flying skills???

Does anyone know whatis the approx percentage of getting through the second time? did the flight sim assessment on the second time was harder?. 6 months is going to kill me (it has already started...) but I would like to use this time in the good way so I can improve my performances...

Thanks and congratulations to all of you who have passed the selection.
I still believe that every efforts you put into CTC is worth it...but right now I feel like a proper donkey for not being able to pass S4

Hope to read you soon

Lydia

Lentäjä
11th Apr 2008, 17:41
djfingerscrossed,

so what you are saying is that no matter do I have PPL or not, I still have to do Foundation Course once accepted:rolleyes:

docash1983
11th Apr 2008, 18:07
Cheers all, seems to be working fine now.

docash1983

poss
11th Apr 2008, 18:53
It is a fully intergrated course, you are required to start from scratch but your PPL hours will count towards some of it.

greywind
11th Apr 2008, 21:31
It may well be worth keeping your PPL current. Yes you still have to go through everything on the foundation course but you will get through the course quicker, due to needing fewer flights, and also depending on how many flights you have your foundation reduced by you'll get that money back. One of the guys on my CP has just passed to the wings phase and is now due a refund on about 20 hours, hopefully he's paying for the drinks next week!

Lentäjä
12th Apr 2008, 10:59
How much do you guys have flight experience? just for curiosity. And is anyone here going for Phase2&3 on 7th of May. How meny are there per selection day normally.

imarkd
12th Apr 2008, 11:13
Hey Lentäjä,

I haven't applied to CTC yet, but they held a seminar at uni that I went to last week, they told us there are currently ~800 apps per month. Doesn't tell you how many go to the selection days but might give you an idea how popular they could be.

poss
12th Apr 2008, 13:00
I have 30 hours. Those with no hours or few have been asked to explain why they haven't pursued flying sooner so have a good answer for that.
At selection day we had 12 people in our group on Phase 2, 8 for Phase 3 and 3 at Phase 4.
I think it is 50-75% of people don't get through application stage.

woskam
12th Apr 2008, 15:40
Delighted to say I passed phase 3 on Thursday! On to phase 4 on 1st May! Anybody else who was there (10th April) it'd be good to hear how you got on.

In response to the thread, I only have a one hour trial flight under my belt! Like dj and poss said, as long as you can explain why you haven't done more flying, and you can prove your motivation to fly then experience doesn't matter.

For those of you have done phase 4, is it done on the 737 or a320 sim?

leeus1
12th Apr 2008, 15:42
Had my phase 4 last thurs and it was in a 737-300 fixed base. Wish it was in an A320 though!!

Good luck!

Kerosine
12th Apr 2008, 15:45
Woskam many congratulations on passing, that's the hard bit over and done with!

Just as importantly, you've demonstrated that having very few hours in the seat isn't a bar on entry, well done :ok:

woskam
12th Apr 2008, 15:48
Cheers leeus! Yeah I was kinda hoping for the a320 too. Shame it's fixed base but I guess you can't have everything! How did you go about preparing for it? Is it worth trying to read up on procedures etc? I know Daphne told us at phase 2 that you're not expected to be able to fly the thing without fault and that its more a case of showing you can learn and take on information etc, but it'd still be nice if I could look semi-competent!

preduk
12th Apr 2008, 15:48
Can I ask those who have passed what you recommend in terms of preparing for the stages.

I studied law at University so haven't used maths in 3-4years as I've had no need. How did you prepare yourself for the maths? Mental Maths? And increasing your short term memory (these are the areas I fall down on a bit).

Cheers!

Gar
12th Apr 2008, 15:52
Congrats woksam! (Who are you by the way?! haha) Good to hear some people got through!

I'm Gary, and unfortunately not going to be doing phase 4 any time soon. I have been asked to email them with my opinion on how the day went and they will reconsider me in 6 months. Obviously completely gutted about it but I guess I'll just have to get on with life for what will be the longest 6 months ever!

Oh yeah, and everyone at Glasgow Uni - what are you studying? I'm an ex-student of Aero Engineering

woskam
12th Apr 2008, 15:53
Cheers Kerosine!

I must admit I was nervous about applying with so little experience, but quite a few people I've met over phase 2 and 3 have been in a similar position. I'm just really looking forward to phase 4 now, and then hopefully getting out to NZ on CP64 (providing I can wrangle my way out of jury duty!) or CP65 failing that!

Gary, sorry to hear that mate! I'm Matt...the short one haha! Try and take the positives mate, at least they've considered you for reassessment and you can have another shot at it. Best of luck! By the way, how much of the Rangers game did you get to see?

leeus1
12th Apr 2008, 15:53
woskam
You can't really prepare for it. Perhaps have a look at a picture of a 737 flight deck and be able to identify the main controls/displays. The best thing you can do is relax, ask lots of questions, tell the captain when you've realised you've done something wrong in the sim, and enjoy yourself!

It's an awesome day.

In terms of experience... I spoke to two guys at phase 4 who had made it there with zero hours. Not even a trial lesson. Just shows..

Bambe
12th Apr 2008, 15:58
Don't worry too much for the maths. Expect very basic calculs such as divide, multipliate, adition, Square roots....

An ex: An aircraft is growing up to 30 000 ft at 3500ft/min. He's currently flying at 20 000ft, how long would it take for it to reach 30 000 ft?
(and it's all multiple choice)

i.e 2 : 5 is the cube root of.... (Then 4 possibilities)

They provide pen and paper.
I've studied law and economics for 4 years and found it very easy.

Good luck

Gar
12th Apr 2008, 16:02
Ah well in Matt! You might not be good looking enough for madonna in her netjet but you're good enough for CTC! Best of luck for Phase 4 mate.

There's not a lot I can do about it so I'll just have to keep motivated for October. Bit of a gutter. Heard from anyone else?

I think me and Anthony must have left our hotel a minute before Rangers scored the first, then we took ages at security so by the time we got to departures there was only 5 minutes left. Found out via Sky Sports News it was 1-0 and went mental, then heard we had scored a second and I was dancing about the airport! Every time I feel disappointed about CTC I just watch the goals and everything is better again!

woskam
12th Apr 2008, 16:11
Yeah I saw the result when I got home and thought of you two still sat at the airport! Haven't heard from anybody else yet unfortunately, have you? Don't be too disappointed mate they obviously saw you had potential otherwise they wouldn't have asked you back for reassessment.

You're right there though, Madonna etc can stick it! Who wants to fly biz jets anyway!

leeus1
12th Apr 2008, 16:16
Has anyone heard of anyone who's got onto CP65 (September)?

I've heard they're not taking cadets for it at present, and putting people down for Oct instead. .. Not sure what's going on...

Lentäjä
12th Apr 2008, 16:17
Hi imarked,

thanks for reply have read that figure from somewhere else also. And that about 30cent are called for Phase2 based on application. Havent met anyone here going for the same day(7th May).
Good luck with your application once you apply

Jimmy123
12th Apr 2008, 18:41
i have just been wondering.....

is it often people get called back for phase 3? i mean does the majority of failures at this stage get another pop or is it a pretty good sign that they think you have what it takes?

cheers guys

Jimmy123
12th Apr 2008, 19:03
well i realise that.....

but i just want to know hoe gooder news it is? obviously its better than being told to not bother comng back but do many people get tld that?

also, how do they decide how long before reapplication? i have 12 months but i have ead figures of 6 and 18 on the forum?

all very confuzzling

Tamesy1
12th Apr 2008, 20:07
Pred...BBC Bitesize is your friend if you need to brush up on the long division/mulitplication. Have a look at how to multiply/divide with decimals as well. I spent about a week setting myself questions on paper and trying to answer them as fast as possible. A cliché I know but..
Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/number/

poss
12th Apr 2008, 22:00
I think with the september course they aren't taking anyone on as a way of getting rid of those back logged hours on the single engine phase.

adc3891
12th Apr 2008, 23:38
Jimmy

I failed S3 first time around, last May. Reapplied in November, had to wait until Jan for a free date, passed it second time around and then S4.

I'm off to New Zealand in June.

Keep the faith, I truly believe that if you are asked to reapply then they are 'looking' to get you through second time round.

First time I didn't do well in the group exercises but did a decent interview. Second time around I did much better with the group exercises (just ask Tamesy :ok:) but felt I'd let myself down on the interview...still got through though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at my performance over the 2 S3's I sat and passed me because of the improvements I made on the group exercises. I guess I'll find out more on my development day towards the end of May so I'll try and remember to give you some more feedback.

Just stick with it...I saw it as a positive as it'd give me a better chance of getting through second time around and allowed me to get a bit more money together.

Hang on, now where did that money go?!

Kerosine
13th Apr 2008, 00:08
First time I didn't do well in the group exercises but did a decent interview

Would you mind saying why you felt the group exercise wasn't great?

leeus1
13th Apr 2008, 11:00
That's certainly interesting.. wonder which airline it is..

maybe it's Pacific air trying to make sure that they get enough cadets!

poss
13th Apr 2008, 11:12
Sounds about right as I do believe they have orders for aircraft.
Wonder how the holding pool is at the minute with airlines going out of business, pilots been laid off and cost cutting schemes coming into place.

poss
13th Apr 2008, 12:18
Even though the 9 main airlines that CTC supplys to are large airlines I would have thought they are taking measures to survive. It's possible cadets get a job with an airline then get laid off. Only time will tell.

Ghostie31
13th Apr 2008, 12:29
Anyone know what happens to the bond if you are laid off during the 7 years you are bonded to an airline?

poss
13th Apr 2008, 12:37
Remains your responsibility but payments cease I believe until you get another job.

Ghostie31
13th Apr 2008, 12:38
so does the airline you were working for transfer it over to the next airline you work for?

poss
13th Apr 2008, 12:43
No idea... it's a good question, never thought about it to be honest.

preduk
13th Apr 2008, 13:25
Doubt it.

You would need to try and get the new airline to pick up the debt, which I don't think would happen, maybe if you were getting another partner airline to employ you.

Kerosine
13th Apr 2008, 13:38
I wouldn't have thought the WINGS cadets are worrying too much

From what I can tell, there's no guarantee of a job. So far they have had 100% employment rates, but if they haven't signed a contract to say they absolutely have to employ you, I don't think you'll rate highly on their priorities list when it comes to cost cutting and reducing their staff numbers.

I'm counting on the fact that in 18 months we'll have hit the trough and will be on the way up again. Ride out the storm in NZ!

leeus1
13th Apr 2008, 13:45
Sorry to change the subject slightly, but with regards to the bond do HSBC authorize it and then dump the £60k into your bank account.. and then you pay CTC installments for the bond from that money? Or is it done differently?

I guess i could wait a few days to find out but i'm curious!

Cheers

Kerosine
13th Apr 2008, 15:15
Okay I don't work for an airline but I do work for a major engine provider for them. If both ourselves and GE still forecast massive increases do you really think the airlines don't forsee that growth as well?

DJ, when you're talking of contracts worth millions with RR, GE and P&W, they not forecasting for the next year/18 months, they're considering the next 5 years, 10 years. Its the short term employment crisis that we need to worry about, not the long term growth of the aviation industry that affects RR etc.

Jimmy123
13th Apr 2008, 16:26
cheers for the responses, its good to know its not a lost cause!

Lentäjä
13th Apr 2008, 17:23
Could someone specify that which are the airline CTC places Cadets with and how is this placeing of cadets desided, does Cadet have anything to say in that decision

preduk
13th Apr 2008, 17:57
Lentäjä,

Basically, when you are ready to go for a job, they look at what jobs are available and see what your preference is. They then decided which airline suits you better and recommend you for the airline based on the culture of the airline etc.

You can refuse to go to the airline if you don't want to, but you will just be put into the employment pool until you are recommended for one.

adc3891
13th Apr 2008, 22:29
@dj - I emailed Daphne a few weeks back asking if I could get some feedback, more out of curiosity than anything else and she said we'd be getting some feedback at the meet & great/development day. I'm just intrigued to know how each stage went as I felt that I must've only scraped through S3. It would be nice to hear otherwise. I also get the impression that the meet & great/development day (I've heard it called both) would be an oppurtunity for CTC to explain to us how to get the most out of the course etc.

@kerosene - I wasn't as vocal first time around, think I was afraid of appearing overpowering. It didn't help that one of our group members didn't turn up so there were only 3 of us. It was little things that the assessors picked up on, unconscious things which I didn't realise I was doing. I looked down a lot (mainly because I was scan-reading the exercise) and said I'd give the others time checks even though I had my back to the clock. In the second exercise we had a box of KNex and had to make something 'practical' and I didn't have a great deal of input mainly due to being short of ideas. We made a gearbox and I made an axle which ultimately we didn't use. It was mainly little things which they failed me on.

j90lby
14th Apr 2008, 21:48
Hi,

I have my phase 4 this Thursday. Anybody else got the same? and if so, which hotel you staying in the night before?

Penny89
15th Apr 2008, 11:02
Hi, i have my Phase 3 next week, can anybody give me any advice!!! thanks !!!!! :ok:

Kerosine
15th Apr 2008, 11:10
Know the partner airlines, have good general knowledge on aircraft, have examples for teamwork and leadership, oh and wear a tie!

Have a scan through the thread, loads of bits mentioned in the last 10/15 pages.

leeus1
15th Apr 2008, 11:35
DJ is correct, they have indeed changed. I had new ones for my phase 3. They still assess the same qualities and they're really fun - nothing to worry about.

Vbells
15th Apr 2008, 11:35
Penny,

When is you're Phase 3? Mine is Thursday 24th and i'm pretty terrified. I've been reasearching loads of stuff but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and can't possibly cover all bases!

leeus1
15th Apr 2008, 13:04
I completely agree.

I also found that thinking of situations i've worked in teams, been a leader, worked under pressure, achieved my goals etc etc was more useful than my actual aviation knowledge. Find a list of typical interview questions on the web and write answers for each one. Most of the questions I had prepared came up in the interview.

I also found that it was the most relaxed interview i've ever had. It felt like it was just a chat about my life decisions, experiences etc

Penny89
15th Apr 2008, 13:08
thanks guys for all your help, i will look through now, Vbells... mine is on the 23rd!!!! Good Luck anyway and thanks again !!! :ok: :ok:

leeus1
15th Apr 2008, 16:46
Completely agree david.

I think a lot of people tend to underestimate the significance of personality during selection...

raoul80
15th Apr 2008, 17:53
Guys this afternoon I've received the mail for booking my 2 and 3 test in the same day!:ugh:

Jimmy123
15th Apr 2008, 19:43
Got my phase 3 feedback today. They were positive about my performance throughout the tasks interview.

However, they mentioned i found it difficult to describe why i was motivated to this career. i know they did not doubt my commitment due to the amount of aviation related extra-curricular activities, but they seem to have wanted me to explain why.

I said in the interview i dont know why i want to be a pilot .. the same way my brother doesnt know why he likes football but despises rugby. i gave a few of the things i enjoy about flying but that weas clearly not enough. I hope i wasnt rejected just because of this! i think most wannabes dont have a reason why they want to be a pilot, they just do!

mattkcraven
15th Apr 2008, 20:02
Jimmy, with the whole "why do you want to be a pilot?" question then I think CTC are generally trying to get at those core parts of what being a pilot means and what stands out to you. Such as the possible different types of flying (charter, LCO, long haul), the possible career progression up through an airline, the chance to see different places, to be at the controls of cutting edge technology, to be part of a profesional team and meet new people......... and so on.

Jimmy123
15th Apr 2008, 21:10
nah they have invited me back in 12 months

i just cringe at the fact i didnt let them know just how much i want to be a pilot. i let them know everything but gave no straight reason why i do. i thought everything i have done might have made it obvious to them but in reality i guess they wanted my reasons

next time i go i will make sure i really think of why i want to be a pilot, its a toughy tho!

cheers guys

Penny89
17th Apr 2008, 16:14
Hey, just wondering what does CTC actually stand for, Crew training centre? sorry if its a silly question, thanks!!! :ok:

99jolegg
17th Apr 2008, 16:15
Chief Training Captain I believe.

imarkd
20th Apr 2008, 13:03
I think it might be the initials of the guy who started the company. His name is Chris Clarke... perhaps the T is his middle initial?

With regards to stage 3... has anyone encountered any technical questions in the interview? And if so, what aspects did they ask about e.g Aerodynamics, Control Systems, Propulsion etc. I study Aerospace Engineering at uni and I just wondered if that might be a prompt for them to ask questions on the technical side of flight.

preduk
20th Apr 2008, 13:13
If they ask you any questions they will be the same ones as they ask everyone, they wouldn't be able to ask someone basic questions on flying and then ask you even harder questions just because you have a bit more knowledge in it all. Wouldn't be fair.

Kerosine
20th Apr 2008, 14:07
I was under the impression the questioning was adaptive. I can't imagine asking the same questions to an 18 year old fresh out of college as they would to someone who has done an aerospace degree.

imarkd
20th Apr 2008, 14:18
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah I wasn't worried, I just was wondering if having studied the field could encourage them to focus on asking more technical questions. I realise you have to be pin sharp and cover as many bases as possible.

I noticed a few people have said they were able to drive the interview to talk about things they wanted to, but how easy did you find that in practice? Were you able to just drop hints in your answers, or did you go all out and start a new topic on you own?

Thanks!

maverik.u.s.a
20th Apr 2008, 14:59
Hi,
i just want to ask you how long did you wait untill they call you for the 2th interw... from your application form...
Thanks
cioa ciao

Gar
20th Apr 2008, 18:01
I'm 99% sure that Daphne told us CTC stands for Chief Training Captains. Think I have it in my notes somewhere

poss
20th Apr 2008, 19:10
It used to back before they took over mcalpine

AlexAlcock
21st Apr 2008, 10:10
Hi i have my phase 4 on the 1st of may, just wondered if anyone has it one the same day, and if anyone has any advice???? Thanks.

Gar
21st Apr 2008, 11:07
Congrats Alex! Interview wasn't as bad as you thought then!

AlexAlcock
21st Apr 2008, 11:16
No mate, suprised i got through though it must be said!!! you got your phase 4 on the 1st????

andrewawilson
21st Apr 2008, 11:32
Hi Guys,

Never posted in here before but just want to thank you all for your input, helped me get to my phase 4 in a few weeks!

Hope everyone else gets through the selection!

Gar
21st Apr 2008, 12:04
I unfortunately don't have a phase 4! To be reconsidered in 6 months so it's not all bad I guess. Best of luck with the sim - sounds like a lot of fun to be had!

woskam
21st Apr 2008, 12:23
Alex - I've got P4 on May 1st too. I was at P3 on the 10th April with you and Gary! You know if anybody else got through?

Matt

AlexAlcock
21st Apr 2008, 17:15
sorry to hear that pal, though you would have got through and im sure you will in 6 months!

Hi matt, no not heard from anyone else so dont really know, were you stayin in southampton???

woskam
21st Apr 2008, 17:54
Alex,

I dunno know mate! I was thinking of doing the whole trip in one day (involves leaving Cardiff at 7.30am :ugh:) although I'm now thinking of staying at Dibden and getting a taxi over to Nursling in the morning. What time are you booked in for? I've got to be there for 11am.

AlexAlcock
21st Apr 2008, 18:12
yeah same mate im in at 11, stayin in the holiday inn, bout 4 miles away then getting a lift in with one of the pilots so gonna go down on the 30th, you know anyone else who got through??? and have you done any prep for it????

woskam
22nd Apr 2008, 08:36
Yeah James got through, haven't heard from anyone else though. I'm led to believe you can't really do a lot of prep. Only thing I have done is find a picture of a 737 flight deck in an attempt to learn where a few things are so I don't look like a complete idiot :ok:

chocky
22nd Apr 2008, 15:34
Hi, CTC doesn't actually stand for anything. I think it used to stand for Crew Training Center but as far as I am aware, it doesn't actually stand for anything. When I did my interview I spent ages trying to find out the meaning of it in case they asked. You won't be asked though.

For the sim, you can't do any prep at all really, you will be shown everything you need to know and then the sim session will be based on how much experience you have. When I did mine I had 20 hours experience and so the guy who did my sim took control of the thrust levers and I literally just had the control column and was asked some mathematical questions.

Good luck to you all

poss
22nd Apr 2008, 15:48
CTC used to stand for Chief Training Captains back in the day when that was the only service offered to airlines. Nowadays it stands for nothing but the CTC building in Bournemouth is called "Crew Training Center".

poss
22nd Apr 2008, 16:10
Hythe is also the branch I will be going to that day. Lynda told me that there were no added conditions to the loan the other day.

fly.NZ
22nd Apr 2008, 16:13
i also ended up going through hythe

olioli
24th Apr 2008, 17:33
GAR,

Go for something else; I got told the same as you -come back in a few months - and two days later I was offered a place at FTE with BA and they're paying for a load of my training - I found CTC's selection a bit self-styled and weird and it wasn't at all like the airline selection. I was fed a load of bull about expanding my horizons (yeah, that and giving them another £180 in six months time for a retry - no thanks). Go in for all the mentored schemes you can because whatever CTC says to you in their feedback, it's the airlines who know what they want and if you can get them behind you then you're laughing.

Good luck

CapCon
24th Apr 2008, 20:53
Well done Aqua! That's great news :D Welcome to CP63, if you have Facebook then join the group :ok:

Robbo0885
25th Apr 2008, 08:18
Hi all, a quick question to everyone who has gone through the selection and got on a course: do you get given a date to start, or can you choose for example to start a couple of month after being chosen?

I want to apply for CTC wings cadet, but would not want to start in a month or two, rather I would want to start in about 6-8 months (save really hard for that period). I would ideally apply now, and go through selection to find out if I can even get on a course, but I am concerned that if i do get offered a place, it would be too soon, and i could not say "actually, could I start on the january course?".

Any feedback on how this little part works would be great. i dont really want to wait 6 months to apply, then find I cant get on the course, equally, I would prefer to start the course in about 6-8 months so that I can save a bit of cash between now and then. (that would otherwise be spent on hour building towards CPL)

Thanks all.

superjet777
25th Apr 2008, 08:45
Ive heard that all courses are full for the next few months anyways so you wont be starting right away so will more than likely be able to defer a few months.

Strange that, seeing as they can't find jobs for cadets at the moment.

SJ777

imarkd
25th Apr 2008, 09:48
At a CTC seminar we had at uni they told us you can defer your entry.

Vbells
25th Apr 2008, 10:17
I just found out I passed Phase 3! I really can't believe it. Phase 4 on 15 May :)

JBwannabe
25th Apr 2008, 10:27
Hi Guys Congratulations to all those who have passed phase assessments

I have 2 and hopefully 3 on the 29th

although.....I'm confused....and it doesn't take much i'll admit but, today I recieved an email from CTC entitled Phase 2 results...... I nearly passed out :{..........thoughts of you idiot you've booked the wrong date and missed your assessment ran through my tiny little mind......Nervously I opened the e- mail to find an attachment entitled PH3 Questions???:ugh:

Any one have any words of wisdom on this before I phone CTC and make a complete idiot of myself???

They would be appreciated :ok:

99jolegg
25th Apr 2008, 10:30
What are you confused about?

Answer the questions attached in the email and send them back before Phase 3.

Kerosine
25th Apr 2008, 10:31
Robbo0885
I want to apply for CTC wings cadet, but would not want to start in a month or two, rather I would want to start in about 6-8 months (save really hard for that period). I would ideally apply now, and go through selection to find out if I can even get on a course, but I am concerned that if i do get offered a place, it would be too soon, and i could not say "actually, could I start on the january course?".

I originally applied to start in Jan 2009, and the asked me to apply in 6 months time and put my application on hold. I didn't want to wait so I managed to re-arrange my finances and job to allow me to start in the next few months (assuming I get in!). They then re-activated my account and asked me to book Stage 2 and 3.

Vbells
How long did they take to get back to you?

JBwannabe
25th Apr 2008, 10:36
@99

I am confussed firstly because Having not yet sat the 2nd phase I have recieved an e-mail title phase 2 results

and

having been told that 2 and 3 are on the same day why would CTC send me questions that they are going to ask me in an interview?

furhter more there are no instructions on this email just a inncorret title and an attachment.

To me it is a little confusing, but that's me
maybe I worry too much

Any way I will fill the form out and send it back

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this email prior to phase2/3

Kerosine
25th Apr 2008, 10:37
JBwannabe

although.....I'm confused....and it doesn't take much i'll admit but, today I recieved an email from CTC entitled Phase 2 results

The email subject for me was "CTC Wings Questions" and read:

Dear *Kerosine*,

Please find attached some questions to help you prepare for your assessment day. Please complete and return these to us at least a week before your assessment date so they can be reviewed.

Regards

CTC Wings Selection

Maybe they mistyped the subject? My questions had to be be filled in and submitted a week before stage 3, so hope yours is on the 29th May not April!

Edit: Just seen your new post. This is the standard process: Fill in application, up to a week later recieve acceptance and offer to book stage 2/3 which are now held on the same day. Up to a week later receive email asking to submit answers to these preset questions, then have stage 2/3.

JBwannabe
25th Apr 2008, 10:41
Kerosine

Cheers

They have definatelyu made a mess of my email I received it on THursday the 24th April my date is 29th April and have absolutely no text in the email except from my application number.

Oh well!

Kerosine seen your edit thanks I will get on to them

99jolegg
25th Apr 2008, 10:51
They have a few problems with emails they send...some receive emails telling them they passed an aspect of selection when indeed they failed :rolleyes::E

JBwannabe
25th Apr 2008, 10:58
Well ;)

Let me look at it this way

If I have an email saying phase 2 results..........and on that email a questionaire for phase 3........then........by my reckoning............I have passed phase 2 and only have phase 3 to worry about this round:ok:........
.....no I didn't think so but heh you can but hope!!

Vbells
25th Apr 2008, 11:17
They took less than 24 hours to get back to me. I think we left the assessment centre at about 14:30 yesterday (it was a small group - only 4 of us) and I got my email at about 11:00 this morning :)

Robbo0885
25th Apr 2008, 11:31
Thanks for the replies all. For those saying you can defer entery, for how long? If I want to defer 6-8 months, by others posts that sounds like I will have to reapply in 6 months time. Anyone know for sure?

What is this about not finding jobs for cadets and having full courses? Are there lots of cadets who are not getting their advanced phase and into a job?

Gar
25th Apr 2008, 11:31
I presume you have just received the standard email that would be sent out when phases 2 and 3 were on separate days, and you had passed phase 2. Someone has just forgotten to update the email system it would appear

Kerosine
25th Apr 2008, 11:43
Thanks for the replies all. For those saying you can defer entery, for how long? If I want to defer 6-8 months, by others posts that sounds like I will have to reapply in 6 months time. Anyone know for sure?

As stated in my previous post, I know for sure if you apply for a place to start post Dec 2008 you will be asked to reapply later. To check this hasn't changed (unlikely since it's been only 4 weeks since I was told) you may want to email the CTC team.

What is this about not finding jobs for cadets and having full courses? Are there lots of cadets who are not getting their advanced phase and into a job?

I'm sure someone on the course could tell you if people are struggling to gain employment, although CTC has a 100% employment record to date (even through the post Sept 11 aviation recession). I'd say CTC is your 'safest' bet for employment straight out of an integrated school, however you need to be aware that there is a global slowdown, and employment positions will never be guaranteed.

edit: Read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=311832) for an insight into what's going on. It IS a PPRuNe thread so take certain posts with a pinch of salt, but there is some very useful information about.

EZYramper
25th Apr 2008, 12:08
"Ive heard that all courses are full for the next few months anyways so you wont be starting right away so will more than likely be able to defer a few months.

SJ777"

The latest CP to finish training, CP42, have all been placed with easyJet.

Robbo0885
25th Apr 2008, 12:21
How much does the whole lot at CTC wings cadets cost then? I emailed CTC about this, but havent heard anything back. I know the course is £63,000 but what about the foundation and basic, plus accomodation and living for the entire course?

What is the average total loan that people are having to take? Any info on this would be good. I have read through the search results on this topic, and found info from one or two people. Curious to know what the average spend is over entire course, total cost for everything.

Thanks all.

Kerosine
25th Apr 2008, 12:21
EZYramper
"Ive heard that all courses are full for the next few months anyways so you wont be starting right away so will more than likely be able to defer a few months.

SJ777"

The latest CP to finish training, CP42, have all been placed with easyJet.

Nice one, another cheer for a well informed post over a speculative one!:ok:

Further from that, CTC has recently partnered with Pacific Airlines who will be leasing 30 Airbuses, I'm sure these complicated flight contraptions require a crew.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23533751-23349,00.html

http://www.pacificairlines.com.vn/News19.aspx?Culture=en-US

Geetea
25th Apr 2008, 13:54
I passed selection last October and Im heading out in August on CP64, earliest available course when I passed then was february.

Gar
25th Apr 2008, 19:30
I defer'd my course by 3 months so I see no reason why you couldn't defer a little longer. As an earlier post has stated tho they are asking people to apply at a later date should your wish be post 2008.....

Costs to date:
Insurances £1100
Foundation £5250 (current exchange rate, NZD $13k)
Course £60k

Living expenses budget £5k per annum.

You forgot the tag line:

Getting through CTC selection - priceless!

PAJ
26th Apr 2008, 07:24
Things are slowing down quite considerably as can only be expected after such a prolonged period of massive borrowing - the economy now has to recover. How this affects Cadets in the medium term will be very interesting indeed. My understanding is that CP41 are in the most part going through type-ratings at the moment and CP42 all have places. Those going to EZ will have a wait as they are pushing their courses back a bit - it's looking like approximately a 6 month delay for type-rating but the beauty of CTC is that the cadets are there and ready whenever pilots are needed so that may change. BA too are taking a fairly steady stream.

The Pacific gig looks like it may be on the cards for cadets shortly, although moving out to Vietnam is not to everyone's taste. The bottom line is that things are still moving...just slowly. Hopefully the backlog won't get too large as that will start to create havoc for the newer CPs. CTC know this and will do what they can, but do understand that there is no guarantee of a job. My advice to those who are shortly to start the course is just get your head down and try to just look at the smaller picture initially - get the best results you can so your CV is as good as it can be.

Kerosine
27th Apr 2008, 16:06
Hi all,

Anyone been through stage 2 recently? I have mine on the 30th (3 days!) so would like a heads up on if any of the aptitude testing has changed (as rumored).

Thanks

RD29
27th Apr 2008, 21:00
hello mr DJ

any news how the group exercise have chnaged?

RD29
27th Apr 2008, 23:01
hi guys anyone else know the new format of phase 3?

xbilz
28th Apr 2008, 11:35
Hi Fellas,

I have been invited for the phase 2. Can someone please tell me which physics and maths subjects I need to review? I have been out of touch with these subjects. I know about hand to eye co-ordination, memory tests etc.

Or

Is there a full description of latest phase 2 available here?

Thanks all.

Polorutz
28th Apr 2008, 11:47
Just to inform you all a bit, there are job places available still upon completion of the wings course with CTC, in fact, the delays most cadets experience is due to them deciding to wait for a particular airline when that airline has no immediate need for pilots.

So far, if you wanted ANY job then after leaving the wings scheme there are 4 companies with which you could be placed.

Most people wait for easyjet because they have the best basing and loan repayment options and its quite normal that they are not taking cadets all year round.

When easyjet is not selecting you can still go through the BA selection process and try to get in, sadly it is apparently not easy and not many cadets get through to BA, some do though.

if both those options fail then there are 3 other companies that are offering places right now, most people don't take them in order to wait of another better offer but the argument of "no jobs for a while" is total nonsense for now.

Polorutz
28th Apr 2008, 12:01
not sure whether I could give that info freely, anyhow it doesn't really matter, you'll know by word of mouth when you get here to Hamilton and the rest of you when you get in, you could also ask the staff at BOH when you have your meet and greet soon.

poss
28th Apr 2008, 12:08
From my knowledge and having taken phase 2 fairly recently. phase 2 is as phase 2 was back when the information for phase 2 was written on the first page of this thread.

Polorutz
28th Apr 2008, 12:14
Xbilz,

Maths: only algebra needs to be reviewed, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with decimal places too.

other than that it's just basic unit conversions.

as for the Pilapt, there is a good deal of data on it on this thread, read up on it, there is no real way to prepare for it, good luck!.

gmarsh
28th Apr 2008, 13:44
Is it true that courses are being pushed back? When I did my phase 3 on the 18th April I was told there were 8 places on the July slot!! I was really hoping to get one of them!

Tamesy1
28th Apr 2008, 13:55
What do you mean by 'pushed back'? CP64 (August group) is nearly full with at least 10 members so far.

Kerosine
1st May 2008, 09:59
I passed stage 2, however the interview didn't go as well as planned. Didn't get asked anything on partner airlines, fleets, knowledge of aircraft, technical knowledge, flying experience, preference on aircraft/airlines, duties of pilot etc. Basically nothing I had revised.

LOTS of questions on teamwork, more teamwork, leadership, disputes with colleagues, how you resolved them, how this translates to cockpit. Very specific examples on all. Also asked to provide examples not mentioned in the questions done before Stage 3, which is hard when you have used most of your good examples in them already!

Only question about the industry was "Tell me about current issues in aviation". Now my aviation knowledge is good, myself and the chap I travelled down with talked non stop for 5/6 hours about current issues, airline news, employment prospects, the course etc, yet in the interview I couldn't reel off all the aviation stories I'd read and talked about off the top of my head. Still haven't heard back yet, not looking promising,

poss
1st May 2008, 11:04
Hmm that sucks that you weren't asked any of that. I was also grilled on team work, leadership and giving examples etc. If you've got the guts to do so, check your application online. I didn't check mine, was way to scared :p. Fingers crossed for you mate.

99jolegg
1st May 2008, 11:32
How did the teambuilding exercises go, Kerosine?

Speedbird715
1st May 2008, 11:33
Kerosine, I'm sure they just wanted to put you under pressure... don't give up yet! ;) If there's one thing I've learned about these interviews, then it's that ultimately HOW you react is even more important than WHAT you actually say. So if you're asked about teamwork for the 126th time, can you still keep a smile, stay calm and come up with something sensible. It's about keeping "situatioanal awareness" at all times.

Let us know how this turns out for you! Fingers crossed!

And thanks a million for posting this - I'll be enjoying the same stuff next week...

Kerosine
1st May 2008, 12:01
Guys, firstly thankyou for all the information, help, guidance and morale support! :ok:

Received an email from CTC, looks like I'll be booking phase 4 soon.;)

poss
1st May 2008, 12:03
Good stuff mate. Get phase 4 as early as possible, that way, providing you pass you can start getting every other thing ready :p

Kerosine
1st May 2008, 12:16
99jolegg

Group exercises were really good fun. Top bunch of guys, loads of good ideas and communication and everyone worked well together. I think my performance in the group exercises made up for my (ahem) less than perfect interview.

Any guys that passed the interview on the 30th, congratulations :ok:

leeus1
1st May 2008, 12:43
Well done Kerosine!! I too had an interview with no questions on partner airlines, technical stuff, pilot duties etc etc. Was all on my life experiences.

Good to hear you made it through - must have been quite a grueling day having phases 2 and 3 on one day. You've now got the fun phase!! Enjoy it :)

Lee

Kerosine
1st May 2008, 14:49
leeus1
The two phases in a day is ok, it was the 8 hour journey home that really knackered me! Worst bit was getting £10 away from CTC in a taxi and realising I'd left my education certificates, passport and logbook at reception... Expensive taxi journey to go back, pick them up, and then get to the train station!:rolleyes:

Hope there's some room left on the CP64/65 courses!

leeus1
1st May 2008, 15:01
CP64 is pretty chocker (11 of us on facebook) but there's loads of places left in CP65.

Good luck with your phase 4 :)

Tamesy1
1st May 2008, 16:24
Yeah its about 60 grand each isn't it dave?

Kerosine
1st May 2008, 19:52
It could work out very well in terms of then not having as much time to grill you but on the other hand the additional stress must be a killer.
Was yours much longer than 50 minutes lol? I don't think they've compromised on interview times. Like I said, there was no faffing around with the questioning which was maybe what caught me off guard!

The upside was that in a single day I escaped the mass cull that is Stage 2/3. Only stage 4 to prepare for now.

Jordie1983
2nd May 2008, 06:03
Kerosine........ well done pal!! Shame all that talking on the way down didnt help!!!

Knew you'd do it!!!

Keep your fingers crossed for me, (resitting maths test), will be in about 4-6 weeks Daphne said.

Well done to everyone who got through on the 30th April, as Kerosine said good bunch of lads, I'm sure all the ones who had an interview got through.

Anyone know how Ryan got on??

Jordan

PS The whole day is really nothing to worry about, as said already its really relaxed!! Enjoy it and you will be fine. Cant add anything that hasnt been said already so just read the advice on the forum.

Lentäjä
2nd May 2008, 09:41
Anyone going for Phase2&3 on 7th of May and staying at Queens Hotel, could share ride in the morning to CTC:)

Jordie1983
2nd May 2008, 10:15
Just a quick note, me and Kerosine stayed at the Fishermans Haunt Hotel, 10mins from CTC, £55 for a double room as a single. Just been refurbished, lovely meals and WiFi for last minute revision.

homonster
2nd May 2008, 17:31
hey guys.

can someone answer these questions for me?

1)is it normal to be given oppotunity to choose stage 2 and 3 tests + interviews date, 1 day after i submitted application.

2)are tests/ interviews granted for everyone who submitted their application.

3)what maths/ physics do i have brush up before stage 2/3 ?

cheers

Kerosine
2nd May 2008, 18:03
1)is it normal to be given oppotunity to choose stage 2 and 3 tests + interviews date, 1 day after i submitted application.I received a reply within a few days, they will email you letting you know whether you can progress to stage 2/3. you will then be able to view your online application to book a slot.

2)are tests/ interviews granted for everyone who submitted their application.No

3)what maths/ physics do i have brush up before stage 2/3 ?Put aside a week to digest this thread in its entirety! It contains a massive amount of info, there's nothing worth adding that's not already been discussed.

Forgot to mention... Good luck! :ok:

woskam
2nd May 2008, 18:15
Delighted to say I passed P4 yesterday and I'm booked into CP65 (medical pending). Anybody else on the same CP? I've not heard much mention of it on this thread.

Kerosine
2nd May 2008, 18:42
Many congratulations Woskam, I have mine booked on the 22nd and am hoping to join you on CP64/5!

Set yourself up on facebook and do search on groups for "CTC CP65". Has a few on there already.

Gar
2nd May 2008, 20:40
Get in son! Well in mate, really happy for you! :ok:

woskam
3rd May 2008, 09:09
Cheers guys, it hasn't quite sunk in yet, I imagine it takes some time!

I joined the facebook group for CP65 but its looking quite bare - there's a few CP64 guys who have joined it to have a nosy around around!

Kerosine - I asked about going on CP64 but I was told it was full, so looks like you'll be a '65-er!

Kerosine
3rd May 2008, 10:20
Don't want all you CP64 buggers nicking our Clearways accommodation!!

Might go on CP63 just to spite you all. Muhahaha :E

komac2
3rd May 2008, 10:55
This may be of interest to some of you lot waiting to go to NZ - although it is a TVNZ news item from Jan 08 on the NZ CTC students.
it Gives you a very quick overview-look at the Ham Crew Training centre.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/1535552

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1535590

Hamilton pilot training taking off
Jan 7, 2008 1:31 PM
A Hamilton flying school is set to triple its recruits to help fill a world-wide shortage of pilots.
CTC Aviation Training School has already got a good track record for training British cadets and now it plans to increase its New Zealand trainee numbers up from 30 to 100 within the next year.
The Hamilton training ground is a big hit with UK cadets who can get their training more cheaply than back home. In just eight months Englishman Kevin Wainscott is destined to be scooped up by a major European airline - just like his 130 predecessors.
" CTC (http://www.ctcwings.co.nz/index_home.asp) itself is renowned for being one of the best training facilities in the world so it's fantastic for us to come over here," says Wainscott.
Trainees spend three to four hours a week up in the air and within just 18 months they can be in the right hand seat of a 737.
The school now plans to use its solid international reputation to train more New Zealanders to help fill the pilot shortage.
Chief operating officer Ian Calvert believes Air New Zealand is in exactly the same boat as other airlines around the world.
"Because of the retirement of ex-military pilots from the Vietnam era onwards and the expanse of airlines around the world, particularly the low cost airlines," Calvert says.
CTC wants to get major players like Air NZ on board so kiwi graduates have top jobs to move into.
The school hopes the airlines will see the benefits of working together with the training facility.
And it's not just airlines that will benefit, the work in keeping the facility in Hamilton already injects millions into the local economy - a trend that will only increase as the school takes off.

Kerosine
3rd May 2008, 11:01
Mattias if you're there PM me with your interview results, really hope you got through!

Thanks for the link Komac, do you know what the beep was at 1.45 on the video?

sjogren
5th May 2008, 08:13
Kerosine,

Yes! The interview was quite demanding but I got through, so Im going to phase 4 on the 22nd... congratulations to you, when are you going to phase 4?

/Mattias

poss
5th May 2008, 08:24
CP62 also looked bare according to facebook but on the electronic plane ticket theres actually 5 people we didn't know about.