PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20

CaptainCriticalAngle
26th Feb 2015, 13:45
A quick Q about the assessment please?

Do they use pedals in the Pilapt tests?

Thank you.

holty40
27th Feb 2015, 14:10
Hi Sorry if Im asking stupid questions, My son has worked very hard at his A levels and has dreamed of being a pilot since he was 4. I understand that thousands of others do too. I said I would only be willing to secure his loan against my house only if he got accepted on a airline course . i.e easyjet or BA or similar. One post has scared me, if he didnt get a good score on one module then CTC could decide to not refer him to the airline.
He would then have paid close to £100000 and would have no job at the end. We are not a rich family and this would bankrupt us, I want to help my son, but can anyone tell me if this is true.
Many thanks

Bealzebub
27th Feb 2015, 15:13
holty40,

The simple answer is yes. The training organisation can certainly not refer him to a partner airline if they felt his level of attainment fell below an acceptable standard. In fact it would be their duty not to do so. The airline is expecting the candidates to have reached a level of attainment that prepares them for what is going to be a very steep learning curve from that point forward, and it is not going to be in anybody's interest to put forward weak trainees.

The courses are structured such that each module or section is subject to assessment throughout and at the conclusion of that section. It is not implausible (although it rarely happens) that a students training can be terminated if they fail to maintain a minimum standard. There are insurance polices that may help mitigate some of the costs incurred up to that point, however they do not (as I understand it) cover any and all reasons for failure. However they do provide some assurance. There are also options whereby a student can pay for additional training if remedial action is required that falls outside the scope of what is considered "normal." The wings cadet (airline) courses are selective, and if a candidate consistently fails to meet the standards required, they may be offered the option of switching to a regular integrated course which would likely involve not only additional cost, but also remove the inclusive AQC (Airline qualification course) which would then become an additional cost for the candidate. It would also shift a significant element of risk onto the candidate as graduates from the secondary programme are only put forward when they have demonstrated the same level of achievement as the wings cadets.

Having said that, most of the selected wings cadets (for the airline programmes) do go on to graduate successfully although even that provides no guarantee that the airline partners would necessarily have any requirement for cadets at the point of graduation. In recent years it hasn't been at all unusual for successful graduates to have to wait (in holding pools) for sometimes significant lengths of time in order to be placed with a partner. It is also true that people often do find hurdles in their training whereby they fail (usually only at the first attempt) one aspect of the course or other. As is the case in any other form of training or education, this is often part and parcel of the learning process. It is up to the airline what requirements they set in this regard, but it is unusual for a short term area of weakness that is subsequently redressed to present any problems beyond that point. Unless the failure was chronic and persistent, it would be very unlikely to impact on the graduates transition to advanced flight training (the airline part.)

Again, to highlight the big warning here....There are no guarantees! The airline industry is notoriously volatile! There simply are no guarantees, and it would be extremely unwise to plan or assume on a seamless transition from start to finish. The training courses are generally in the order of 15-18 months, and however things may look at the beginning of that period, they can look very different at the end of it! If an airline has no requirement for cadet pilots at any point in time, it simply will not take them on. That is something that needs to be planned for and very seriously considered in any financial planning.

The bank guarantees that are typical of these programmes usually require the guarantor to show that even with the secured loan it represents no more that 60% of the value of the security (home!) It usually also requires that the applicant and any guarantors furnish evidence of their ability to repay the loan schedule even if a job is not forthcoming at the point of graduation.

If an applicant couldn't satisfy these conditions it is unlikely they would be approved for the loan. In any event, if the prospect of this would be likely to cause undue hardship and certainly if it were to cause bankruptcy, then my advice would be not to consider it for one moment longer.

I consider this to be one of the better routes into fasttrack airline employment. It has been for some considerable time now. However, it comes with very significant risks. It comes with absolutely no guarantees, and it requires candidates to be ready and able to embark on a very steep and long term learning curve.

maxed-out
27th Feb 2015, 15:47
Holty40,

You have to be insane to want to give ctc/oaa 100k, secured against your house. Come on..my gawd!! Get a grip on what you intend doing to your family. Bankrupt comes to mind.

Your son is young enough to go modular and when things pick up he will be debt free and able to pounce on any job offer (even the low paying ones) as he will likely still be single and without dependants. It aint rocket science.

Get him to do a ppl first.

rogerg
27th Feb 2015, 15:49
I think that OAA have a scheme that will refund the money up to a certain point If the student does not make the grade. I do not have any details tho.

Contact Approach
28th Feb 2015, 18:05
Maxed out,

Your advice is terribly outdated...
It's pretty simple: get on a tagged MPL scheme or join the wings scheme (With considerable risk). This is how it is and how it remains...
(No I did not attend CTC, but many of my colleagues did and they continue to be our preference.)

Officer Kite
1st Mar 2015, 15:13
CTC are a very good school and if you're looking for a job, I firmly believe you stand the best chance of doing so through CTC. However as I've said before, CTC would not get you that job interview if you perform poor in training, they are not going to tarnish their reputation amongst the airlines for the sake of you, because it's that reputation they have with the airlines that makes them so popular for all the wannabes out there. Each airline also has set minimum grades that you have to have achieved through your training, fall below those grades and you are in trouble, perform to your best ability and achieve those grades and CTC will more than likely do what they do best and get you that interview.

Up North Like
1st Mar 2015, 21:08
easyJet require 85% average with maximum of 3 or 4 ATPL theory fails. The flight test requirements are all series 1 with the IRT being particularly crucial. With the amount of people being forced through CTC, easyJet can be more picky with the cadets they choose therefore you could do with attempt 1 in all theory and flight tests.

(former cadet now employed)

zimflew
3rd Mar 2015, 14:22
Hello Everybody!
I have successfully passed the CTC Wings integrated programme selection. I am really happy but it would help if, based on your experience, you could give me your opinion on the following thing.

I am 34 years old (since February). I will then finish mytraining at 36. I know it is old compare to other students.

Question : Do you think i will have the same opportunity to be placed with a partner airline after completion of the training (assuming i have reached the same level of expectations, good grades etc...)

I am ready to take a risk (i have the money that i collected during the last 10 years) but not if i know in advance that i will have no chance to find a job.

Thanks for your feedbacks!

CaptainCriticalAngle
3rd Mar 2015, 14:50
Have you asked CTC?

What do they say?

zimflew
3rd Mar 2015, 15:00
I received the confirmation of my selection today. I have asked the question, i am waiting for the answer, but i would prefer having different opinions. I would let you know about the answer as soon as i receive it.

Bealzebub
3rd Mar 2015, 15:12
The cadets that have been placed with us over the last 15+ years have certainly included people in their "Thirties." They are not in the majority, but that is simply because the majority of trainees (as you say) tend to be Twenties and some late teens. It has never (to my knowledge) ever been an issue on any level. That notwithstanding, equality regulations in various EC states would likely preclude age being a sole selection for disqualification.

Obviously, different parts of the world may have their own selective criteria whereby age limits form part of that criteria, but I never seen any evidence in my own sphere of observation that would suggest you should be concerned on this score.

truckflyer
3rd Mar 2015, 17:03
Few years ago there was certain companies, RyR that I suspect had ageism issues. However I think with the partners of CTC you will not have this issue.

I know because I tested the RyR, with 2 separate applications, the one where I was 10 years younger then actual age, I got invited to assessment, the other application never got a reply! ( the actual one was sent first)

zimflew
6th Mar 2015, 13:07
Thank you for answer. It is a good news !
i would like to have further information on the flexicrew contract :)

On CTC's website it is indicated that Cadet may be required to contribute to the cost of the Type Rating.
After having spent 90k£ it could be very difficult to find additional pounds... especially with the fixed payment of 1200£ proposed.

Do you have an idea on how much could be this cost (Does it depend on airlines ?). After that will you be bonded for a period of time with the airline. In case the airline contributed to the cost of the type rating will we have to repay over a period ?

Thanks!

vikdream
6th Mar 2015, 14:20
It does depend on the airline but for the orange on it was about 12.000 pounds. Do not, however, rely on this, as conditions and prices change every now and then and it could well be very different by the time you get there, if you are lucky to get there.

It would be very sensible to have some spare money apart from the training costs. Remedial training (they might include some, they always have, but not all of it), type ratings or others are things that you need to take into account.

zimflew
6th Mar 2015, 14:40
Thanks.
Once paid the 12000£, will the "orange" take money on your salary ?

I heard that the salary was something like 45£ per hour and you had to pay back 20£ to reimbourse the difference between 32000£ and the already paid 12k£.

Is that right ?

vikdream
6th Mar 2015, 15:31
Unfortunately I did not go to the orange airline so I can't really tell. I believe that did not happen in the past, but whether or not it is the case nowadays I don't have a clue.

aviator_james
7th Mar 2015, 20:36
Mike78.
Hey hows it going - Im also on CP135!

Officer Kite
18th Mar 2015, 18:25
Can anyone please give me a hint or even a ballpark figure as to how much the CTC wings cadets have to pay for the A320 TR upon being placed with easyjet, or thomas cook ? (I'm aware it will vary). While there is much chit chat about it I can't seem to find any actual figures given and CTC refuse to give them, insisting that as they constantly change, giving a figure would be misleading. I am just trying to get an idea of how much must be budgeted for after having paid for the wings course in order to pay for the TR. A PM would also be appreciated, Thanks !

mbenaron
21st Mar 2015, 14:46
Hi guys, anyone starting training in August, CP136 I believe?

CottPilot
29th Mar 2015, 18:21
I would also like to know if anyone has any info on this. Also how many people are in the hold pool and how long people are roughly in it for?

flyfly4
6th Apr 2015, 11:37
Hi! I just finished my engineering degree after a lot of sacrifice and i'm ready to start my pilot studies. What i am considering is wether to study in any aviation academy or in the ctc wings scheme. I really don't know if the chances of finding a job are much bigger if i choose the latter option.

I also would like to know if ryanair are currently getting candidates from ctc of only from caeoaa? Thanks!

spiropilot
7th Apr 2015, 11:31
Colleagues,

Is there someone who joint MPL course of CTC?

FlyVeryHigh-
8th Apr 2015, 12:11
Officer Kite,

I have a pal who's just finished CTC. Says the Thomas Cook guys had to pay £24K for the A320 TR.

Officer Kite
8th Apr 2015, 12:22
Thanks for the info FlyVeryHigh !

ManWithoutSkin
9th Apr 2015, 07:21
I also would like to know if ryanair are currently getting candidates from ctc of only from caeoaa? Thanks!

I don't think Ryanair currently take students from CTC, but CTC have just announced that Ryanair will be the guest speaker at their next carrer event, so that maybe suggests they will now start working together.

average-punter
9th Apr 2015, 12:12
There is certainly at least one CTC chap recently hired by Ryanair.

JPFTEJerez
9th Apr 2015, 12:24
Flybe and Ryanair are both currently recruiting cadets from the hold pool, easy jet closed their recruitment in December

George Hayward
15th Apr 2015, 09:20
Hi guys, I am also starting on CP135 in July, and was wondering if anyone knows if the type rating cost is required as an extra payment at the end of training, or if it is taken out of the £69,000 security bond that is handed over to the airline when the cadet finishes training?

JPFTEJerez
15th Apr 2015, 09:51
Unfortunately this is one of the things CTC don't tend to highlight to their cadets, (most) airlines do not pay for type ratings for new cadets, for example Ryanair make you pay double the usual rating cost and the Thompson guys that just started had to pay £23000 ish on top of their training costs.

average-punter
15th Apr 2015, 14:43
Funny how they don't highlight that hey, but to be honest anyone who doesn't know that has shown a fundamentally poor level of research and for that I have zero sympathy.

I'm just going to clear up some confusion here. A few guys recently got a job with Thomas Cook, not Thomson. I am happy to be corrected if some were hired by Thomson too, but I would imagine it would have been published in some form of PR release if it were the case.

JPFTEJerez
15th Apr 2015, 15:35
Thompson, Thomas Cook, I don't really care the point I was making is that the newly recruited cadets had to fork out £23000 for a type rating which I find disgusting that they make them pay that after the cost of training.

George Hayward
15th Apr 2015, 21:29
Was speaking to CTC today on the phone about the BSc Degree and also can confirm that the type rating must be paid for separately. As there is a good chance the security bond of the Wings course will be paid back to you in full over the course over of 7 years with one of their partner airlines, the financial impact wouldn't be as high in the long run.

FlyVeryHigh-
16th Apr 2015, 12:40
Type rating costs guys:

EZY: £9,000
Monarch: Approx £17,000
Thomas cook: £24,000
Ryanair: £22,000 (exchange rate dependent)
Flybe: no cost
BA: no cost.

dlcmdrx
16th Apr 2015, 15:24
Hi guys, just came from The US with FAA licenses and 1200 hours including 700 hours of cfing.

IS this program a feasible option or even an option i would have a chance on??
Im 30 years of age and considering the modular route since FTE wont take someone for conversión.

planedrive
17th Apr 2015, 09:13
Flyveryhigh: AFAIK, the 'White Tail' guys who went on to BA didn't have to pay for TR as such, however they did have to increase their bond to match those who'd gone through the FPP, so they were still required to fork out approx £15k after finishing the CTC course. Thanks for the other information! :)

Regarding George Haywards point - does anyone know which partner airlines taking 'White Tails' pay back the bond in full?

Lockheed_Blackbird
17th Apr 2015, 11:42
I've heard from a EZY pilot that no one pays back the bond to you except BA...

FlyVeryHigh-
17th Apr 2015, 13:58
Flyveryhigh: AFAIK, the 'White Tail' guys who went on to BA didn't have to pay for TR as such, however they did have to increase their bond to match those who'd gone through the FPP, so they were still required to fork out approx £15k after finishing the CTC course. Thanks for the other information! :)

Regarding George Haywards point - does anyone know which partner airlines taking 'White Tails' pay back the bond in full?

Cheers for that! That wasn't mentioned to me when I asked...

Many thanks! :)

ak.haddad
21st Apr 2015, 17:16
Hello Everybody!
This is officially my first post!
I am keen on joining ctc wings, and i was wondering about whether airlines care about your nationality? Im Lebanese, would that make any difference in the probabily of being accepted than a US citizen for example?
Thankss

BittenEdges
22nd Apr 2015, 08:15
Hi ak,

For the CTC Wings scheme you need to have the right to live/work anywhere in the European Union or Switzerland. For most of the airline schemes this needs to be the case as well.

From the top of my head, I think the Qatar Wings MPL is the only airline tagged scheme that doesn't have this nationality restriction.

The Takeoff integrated scheme also has no nationality restriction however this doesn't include the Airline Qualification Course and entry into the employment hold pool.

Best get onto the website and start reading through the different training programmes :ok:

Cheers!

GetTheQRH
28th Apr 2015, 14:42
Hi guys,

I understand that CTC only have GCSE requirements to join the scheme, however I was just wondering if only GCSEs are accepted by the partner airlines recruiting from the hold pool, or wherever they stipulate minimum a-level requirements before a candidate can be put forward for consideration.

If anyone has any idea then I'd really appreciate it.

FlyVeryHigh-
28th Apr 2015, 16:37
Hi there,

Be careful. I've heard of people not being accepted to partner airlines as they don't have the airlines minimum requirements (which are usually those of the airlines cadet programmes), I.e. Flybe a levels, BA a levels, easyJet a levels.

I know wings cadets weren't being picked up by flybe because of this for a fact.

LandingConfig
28th Apr 2015, 16:43
ashb, as mentioned above, most airlines require you to have A-levels or equivalent as well. BA's are about the most demanding I've seen, they want 3 at BBC, easyJet want 2 at BC and Flybe 2 at CC.

planedrive
29th Apr 2015, 10:28
easyJet don't require you to have A Levels if you've gone through white tailed route, they do for MPL though.

juancabral2
5th May 2015, 03:40
So, I have been reading a lot of speculation here, mostly in the third person. Well, this time I can guarantee you I am real and I speak in the first person. I can’t reveal names due to legal reasons, but if you want to talk to me in person, just send me a message in my inbox and I will collaborate.

I am a CTC Wings pilot that failed.

What do I mean by that? I completed the course and I did not get a job offer after two years. Moreover, I was invited to just one assessment, in which I ever got a response. More details later.

Yes, after spending 100k pounds and a couple of years of my life in it, my outcome was very unhappy. I was just diagnosed with chronic depression,which also means i won’t renew my medical. Besides the drugs, my doctor told me journaling could be an efficient treatment to cure my disease. That’s why I am writing here. It is not my intention to help anyone here - although I believe it could - nor to blames on the school. I just want to help myself and I hope, therefore, that my story is published at the forum.

Now to the real deal: if I could start it over, I would have not started at CTC. I would have learned to fly first, get a PPL, and then start applying at airline programs. You see, once you are at CTC you should be prepared for a constant battery of tests, which comes to what could review the course in one sentence to me:

CTC will never help you. CTC will just assess you.

If you are already a very good pilot, coming from the military or with a good PPL i your pocket, go for it. The training standards here are no better than any other school. For all my colleagues with flight experience, CTC was a walk in the park, perhaps with the stress of needing to performing close to perfection at the ground school tests.

So why is CTC so successful if their training is mediocre? Well, again that comes to the second sentence of the mantra:

CTC will never help you. CTC will just assess you.

CTC does asses you all the time: class after class, flight after flight. Airlines love to see those reports. It is much easier for them to choose from a pile of candidates from CTC than a pile of candidates from other schools. If you read a report from CTC, you will always find a grade and a bunch of generic terms to fill out the blanks: „Situational Awareness“, „Selective Attention“ are a couple of examples.

What the national carrier wants to see is basically: passing everything first time (first series does not count), 95% or better performance at ground school, zero extra hours and exceptional non technical skills. Plus, good grades at school.

What the big low-cost carriers want to see: passing everything first time, maybe one first-series is fine, 85% or better performance at ground school - maybe one test failed is fine, no more than 10 extra hours and a good report from school.

The very worst low-cost carrier (that one with the extinct type-fleet) will pretty much assess anyone from the holding pool interested in paying their expensive TR and for all the costs of a very disorganized and expensive assessment.

My results: Ground school passed everything first time, 92%, first series CPL, first time IR, 13 extra hours, horrible report written by the school.

You see, I just had the chance to be assessed by that last airline. I had to pay for my sim session to apply, plus hotel, flight and everything else. They pretty much call you some days before the assessment, so you can’t even find a cheap flight to go to their assessment (hold on two days). The sim did not even work. I never got any response or feedback. I have asked for my money back. The airline got mad at me and the school kicked me out of the holding pool. Or, in better words, got rid of me.

More to come later...

foliot-pilot
16th Jul 2015, 13:04
In regard to funding a type rating, does anyone know if it's possible to fund it via the BBVA loan? i.e, would you be able to borrow a bit more from BBVA after your course has finished in order to finance the type, or would it be more advisable to borrow the money at the beginning? Just trying to weigh up interest charges..

mbenaron
16th Jul 2015, 15:55
In regard to funding a type rating, does anyone know if it's possible to fund it via the BBVA loan? i.e, would you be able to borrow a bit more from BBVA after your course has finished in order to finance the type, or would it be more advisable to borrow the money at the beginning? Just trying to weigh up interest charges..

You are able to borrow a bit more or apply for a separate loan, as the majority of airlines are happy to underwrite the loan for you (given that they'll be benefitting from your services) and you then pay that back over a 2 or 3 year period. Regarding BBVA specifically, it is question you'd have to ask them but I don't see why not :)

byrondaf
16th Jul 2015, 18:34

hill.sam one of the girls on our course asked BBVA that very question and they will do a separate application for the type rating cost and the same property can be used as a guarantee so long as it doesn't go over the 60% or whatever it is.

They will normally only approve this once an offer of a type rating has been made and is in writing, they won't give it to you at the beginning. you make the point about interest, that's partly it, but also, some airlines don't require you to pay for TR. Flybe don't charge, they do a lower salary. easyJet will underwrite the type-rating cost for you to borrow from BBVA.

Hope that helps

EC DKN
17th Jul 2015, 12:41
Why going to CTC when you have PAT which offers to you much better standards of training with double ME hours?

It is marketing people!!!!! You can go to Ryanair or Flybe being modular!!! If you want to go to Vueling you need 1000 hours SE!

People, you need to work hard to get an airline job! It's not just going to an ATO do the training and flying straight a B737 or A320! You need to work your ladder, if not where is the magic to become a pilot? If you are on your 20s, enjoy life, go modular + FI!!!!!

foliot-pilot
18th Jul 2015, 09:54
Thanks for all the helpful advice on. It's my first post on here and I'm really grateful for all (and any) help. It was just a bit of a shock to the system when I went to a CAE open day at the weekend and heard that EZY can ask for up to £38,000 for a TR. On top of the money I'd have to borrow for course costs, it's north of £120,000. Quite an intimidating amount to have to pay back over 8 years (2 year payment holiday).

pug
18th Jul 2015, 15:17
I agree it's a huge amount of money, I'm aware this is a CTC thread, however does anyone have any recent stats on how many OAA graduates are getting into easyjet, not including the tagged MPL scheme?

I think out of all of them, easyjet are one of the better ones should the finance be available. I've always liked Oxford, it's just a shame I'm not in a financial position to go down that route myself without a tagged scheme, and as they only come round once a year, there comes a point when one should put the foot on the gas somewhat.. Hopefully I'll time it so that I get one more chance of applying to BA before I sit any ATPL ground exams, unfortunately I will have disqualified myself from the easyjet MPL by then as I would likely have over the maximum 80 hours stipulated..

average-punter
18th Jul 2015, 16:18
EC-DKN: People go to CTC because it's a proven way into the RHS of an airliner. I'm not quite sure why you are so bitter about people who choose to go down that route? The highs and lows have been well documented and at the end of the day it is a personal decision, if it doesn't suit you that is fine. Having said that PAT is an excellent place, through my limited experience with them I hold it in very high regard. Just don't upset the dog on the way in :}

Pug: I'm aware of a few OAA grads who were given the nod by EJ a month or two ago, not sure of numbers taken overall though I'm afraid. I'm also unsure of the cost and TR arrangements with OAA.

pug
18th Jul 2015, 23:33
Thanks average-punter.. I think each to their own and if it's affordable then there's no doubt that CTC and OAA is the way to go.

byrondaf
19th Jul 2015, 10:28
well said average-punter, bitterness is not needed when people merely seek information. everyone has a choice.

It was just a bit of a shock to the system when I went to a CAE open day at the weekend and heard that EZY can ask for up to £38,000 for a TR. On top of the money I'd have to borrow for course costs, it's north of £120,000. Quite an intimidating amount to have to pay back over 8 years (2 year payment holiday).

hill.sam I'm not sure of the CAE agreement but at CTC (I've just got a job with easyJet through CTC) easyJet charge £25k for the TR which they underwrite for you through BBVA. repayments are around £500/month for 5 years, approximately.
The thing with borrowing the course costs, is yes it will be extremely tough paying it back. £1600/month (BBVA + TR) or something like that with a well documented low salary in the first year? Many guys on my course are fretting about how tough it's going to be.

A few of us however worked in reasonably well-paid jobs for a number of years and saved up a large chunk of the costs to make things very manageable. So as PUG said, for me it was actually affordable to go down the CTC route. If I had to borrow the entire course costs plus TR, I'm not sure I could do it. It all depends on what you want to do, it's a tough choice either way. Financial hardship for a few years in the beginning, or save up and make your life easier. I chose the latter...

foliot-pilot
19th Jul 2015, 11:45
byrondaf: I am trying to plan for the worst case scenario, realistically I will have also saved up a fair bit for the course costs, but would need to borrow the rest. I've also heard that your monthly payments to BBVA are reduced by 25% for the first couple of years. Does anyone know this to be true?

Thanks in advance!

byrondaf
20th Jul 2015, 15:07
Yes you have the option to have reduced payments by 25% for 2 years followed by the remainder at higher payments. Also don't forget that your 2 year repayment holiday only starts from when you drawn down on the loan, so if you've got savings you can delay the repayments as long as possible.

foliot-pilot
20th Jul 2015, 18:51
byrondaf: sorry if you've just made a typo, I just want to clarify..what do you mean by: your 2 year repayment holiday only starts from when you drawn down on the loan,

Sorry if it seems I'm being pedantic, not my intention :)

byrondaf
20th Jul 2015, 19:09
So you only start paying the loan back either 18 months or 2 years after you actually pay CTC using the loan (i can't remember how long it is as I didn't need a loan). Use your savings to pay CTC the initial payments so that you don't pay back for as long as possible, and then once the repayments start, you can opt for 2 years of reduced payments. Clear?

foliot-pilot
20th Jul 2015, 19:49
Clear. Thanks for your time in advance!

My only problem with that is that, I'm not sure how long it would take BBVA to set up the loan. For instance, if I started in January, I'd need the money around May, but, in an ideal world, I'd like the money the day before I pay CTC in order to get as big a 'payment holiday' as possible.

I wouldn't want to leave it too late and not be able to progress to the next stage in CTC for example, if the bank were still setting up the loan. On the flipside, if I applied too early, it would unnecessarily bring my 'payment holiday' forward...

nothing is simple these days!

byrondaf
20th Jul 2015, 22:19
I wouldn't want to leave it too late and not be able to progress to the next stage in CTC for example, if the bank were still setting up the loan. On the flipside, if I applied too early, it would unnecessarily bring my 'payment holiday' forward...

Definitely have everything set up before you start, don't want to risk not having the funds to keep the bond payments going. BBVA will take about 3 months or so, they're pathetically slow I've been told...

No the repayment holiday starts from when you use money from BBVA loan to pay CTC. For example, if you had around £30k savings, you'd use that first to pay for basic training (£20k) and the first few bond payments (first one is due at the start of flight training), then when you've used all your savings you'd then draw money from BBVA to continue paying CTC. It's at this point that the repayment holiday starts.

foliot-pilot
22nd Jul 2015, 09:49
understood. thanks very much bryondaf.

foliot-pilot
22nd Jul 2015, 10:52
Hi there,

Given that the only requirements for a 'white tail' cadet is only 5 GCSE's, does that not infer that there are jobs available for those who chose not to pursue A-Levels? Surely there must be pilots out there who haven't chosen to do A-levels.

For example, the Virgin MPL with CTC also only requires 5 GCSE's. I'm just trying to get a bit of perspective here as I do not have A levels, but do have excellent GCSE results.

What are your thoughts please?

average-punter
22nd Jul 2015, 13:53
Sam,

One question you will have to give some significant thought to is 'Why do you have excellent GCSE results but didn't pursue further education in the form of A-levels?' Any decent school should be strongly encouraging strong GCSE performers into A-levels IMHO.

I don't know anyone on the course who doesn't have a-levels but that's not to say there aren't any...

foliot-pilot
22nd Jul 2015, 14:03
average-punter,

Very good point. That's a question I will need to have a good think about.

I've told a small white lie here, I did attend a 6th form to complete A-Levels, due to a lot of pressure from my parents at the time to do so. I really struggled with it and hated the whole time there. Looking back, I'm not sure if going was the right choice. I "achieved" (if you can call it that) a B in Maths and a E in Physics, way below the required standard for any of the Airline courses.

That's why the white tail is appealing to me given the GCSE requirements. I am confident that my aptitude/motivation will serve me well enough to complete the ATPL exams, however, I'm concerned my poor A Level results could preclude me from airline placement.

Any thoughts please?

byrondaf
22nd Jul 2015, 21:04
That's why the white tail is appealing to me given the GCSE requirements. I am confident that my aptitude/motivation will serve me well enough to complete the ATPL exams, however, I'm concerned my poor A Level results could preclude me from airline placement.

hill.sam I wondered that too, however it doesn't matter at all.

I too achieved excellent GCSE results but at college I left with 3 mediocre A-level grades C,C,D. I wasn't able to apply for the BA FPP or easyJet MPL schemes, however I finished my Wings "whitetail" training at end of June and now have a job with easyJet after 16 hours in the hold pool.

They don't apply A-level grade criteria for placement. Airline placement is all down to CTC performance. Get a 90%+ average in your ATPL's, no more than 3 resits and first series passes in your CPL+IR and you'll be eligible for any airline that CTC can offer you. Passing the assessment days is the next hurdle, but worry about that later.

As I was, you'll be asked at the selection day interview about A-level grades and perhaps why they weren't as good, so make sure you are able to answer that with a good positive answer. You'll be asked about motivation and how you cope under pressure if things don't go so well. Oh and as for any "white lies", avoid them if you can, integrity as a pilot is very important. we all make mistakes/bad choices, but as long as you learn from them and you don't self-destruct, no problem.

foliot-pilot
22nd Jul 2015, 23:16
byrondaf: I concur. That's reassuring. I could go back and re-do my exams, but obviously this would be a last resort.

I was just a little concerned when I read an earlier post inferring that having no/bad A-Levels could affect placement. I have an 'ergonomic assessment' with CTC in August (I'm a little over 6'3") and also an 'Airline Prep' course coming up shortly, so I'll be sure to grill them then about all my other questions.

I'm keeping my eyes & ears open for now.

Thanks for all advice.

average-punter
22nd Jul 2015, 23:21
Sam,

That makes far more sense! The maths is a decent score. I retook one of my a-levels to improve grades so it is possible. Byron speaks wise words too, think of where you haven't performed as expected and prepare a solid reason to explain it.

foliot-pilot
22nd Jul 2015, 23:23
At least I'll be well prepared if they ask "tell me about a time when you've failed":)

foliot-pilot
24th Jul 2015, 07:48
alloyd555: Thanks very much. I think a bit of preparation/honesty is the key here. We all make mistakes. Is the stage four the sim assessment? I've been reading a lot about that, I'm assuming it was something they assessed wings cadets on in the past, but am I correct in thinking it's no longer the norm?

Obviously it is for the Qatar program :)

AdamHanis
24th Jul 2015, 07:57
That's cool!

I'll be going for my phase 2 & 3 this Tuesday. Any tips to what I could do to prepare?

m.abdullah
25th Jul 2015, 06:06
Hi. I'm a newbie here.

I have questions regarding the Qatar MPL programme.

1) It is open to all nationalities. Correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i know doesn't Qatar only take Qatari?

2) To quote :
"This self-funded CTC WINGS Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) programme in partnership with Qatar Airways is at the leading-edge of airline pilot training innovation."
Do i have to use my own money or will there be any help from ctc for me to apply for a loan or some kind?

Sorry if these questions had already been answered.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.

wonder88
25th Jul 2015, 23:23
m.abdullah

Taken from the CTC website under Minimum requirements : Be able to pass a security check to ensure your right to live and work in Qatar

This is a self funded MPL and qatar do not give you any assistance with it as far as I am aware. Do your research.

MaxParker97
28th Jul 2015, 16:24
Anyone going on the CP137 course?

AW20
30th Jul 2015, 17:44
Hi Max,

I'm on CP136, but I'm just wondering, do you have you training locations yet? I'm just trying to work out if it alternates locations very course or not.

MaxParker97
31st Jul 2015, 12:10
As of the schedule sent to me I am Southampton- Hamilton- Bournemouth.
However it does state that these can be changed at anytime

Airbus Airhead
10th Aug 2015, 20:10
Hi guys, from passing selection what's the time frame to starting ground school roughly? Also if not in Southampton, where else might you be based for ground school? Thanks

byrondaf
10th Aug 2015, 21:02
i believe your selection lasts for 6 months. and it'll either be southampton or coventry. think there's even talk of gatwick. not sure what's in the rumour mill at the moment.

JPFTEJerez
10th Aug 2015, 22:46
It was 5 months for me. They only use Southampton for ground school however they were using Coventry (pad pilot) while there was maintenance going on in Southampton. Whether they're thinking of adding new places for ground school I don't know.

Airbus Airhead
11th Aug 2015, 12:52
Thanks. Do the majority of people going through the integrated route require the loan? I would need the full amount, is this common? Is it possible to have a weekend job through ground school or is it too intense?

JPFTEJerez
11th Aug 2015, 12:57
It is very common for cadets to get the full loan amount it just depends on your financial situation. Some are obviously better off than others and some have saved for years. It is to intense for a weekend job. You'll be studying a huge amount, you can't afford any distractions.

PPR Guest 962
19th Aug 2015, 00:14
Hi mate, they currently use Southampton, Coventry and Hamilton for all ground school exams.

PPR Guest 962
19th Aug 2015, 00:15
Jobs are not allowed whilst under training as per the contract due to the intensity.

TheManFromThatPlace
2nd Sep 2015, 20:51
Guys, the CTC course is nothing like as intense as they like to talk it up to be. ATPL exams are not the hardest thing in the world. Not by a long way. 5 months is plenty. If you need longer, ask yourself why. As for the flying ,8 months in NZ for 150 hours? Can someone please inform me as to how that can be classed as intensive? Then their MCC/JOC takes 3 weeks. Go anywhere else and you'll do it in 10 days! CTC; great for paying your way straight into the RHS. CTC; not intensive. Probably for those two reasons that it's so popular.

Bloated Stomach
2nd Sep 2015, 23:25
TheManFromThatPlace you have no idea how intense it can be. Having done my CPL/IR and AQC with CTC, I can tell you it is very intense. The AQC is much more difficult than a type rating.

TheManFromThatPlace
3rd Sep 2015, 06:47
I've been there and done it. I am fully aware of how "intense" or otherwise the workload is at CTC. I am also aware of how much the majority of the cadets there enjoy talking up the workload.

GAZ45
3rd Sep 2015, 10:02
Hello all.

I am a modular graduate with a frozen ATPL. Recently graduated.

I am obviously applying to as many airlines as I can including Ryanair through the CAE online portal.

However, I have come across the following link on the CTC website:

Ryanair - Placement opportunities (http://www.ctcaviation.com/flexicrew_opportunities/ryanair-placement-opportunity/)

It's Ryanair flexicrew opportunity. Quoted on the website:

"This opportunity is immediately open to pilots who have a valid EASA ‘Frozen ATPL’ obtained through CTC WINGS, CTC TAKEOFF or an alternative EASA Approved TrainingOrganisation (ATO)

Entry Criteria

Have a valid CPL(A) with an instrument rating on multi-engine aircraft (MEP/IR)
Have passed all 14 ATPL(A) Theoretical Knowledge examinations
Have a valid EASA FCL 3 Class 1 Medical
Have a comprehensive training organisation report.
Be prepared to obtain an Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) or EASA licence
Have the right to work freely within the European Union"

I have trained through an 'alternative EASA Approved TrainingOrganisation (ATO)'. Am I correct in thinking that I am eligible to apply to Ryanair through this application or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for any info

TheManFromThatPlace
3rd Sep 2015, 11:14
You are right, you can apply to Ryanair through CTC. If you've already applied through CAE though then you might want to think about it a bit more...really a good idea applying through both? Maybe it'll double your chances! Just not sure myself.

GAZ45
3rd Sep 2015, 11:23
themanfromthatplace,

Debated this myself. I have submitted an application through CAE. I have not yet done so through CTC. Although I did click the application and look at what information CTC require for you to apply. All I can say is that they ask for a lot more info.
As far as my knowledge goes; when you apply to Ryan thru CAE website directly, you are contacted for more information - presumably if the magic computer picks you out of the hat.
CTC are asking for all that info upfront - just as they do if you apply to Ryan through Oxford aviation if you are an Oxford integrated student.

I can't see it doing much harm doing both to be honest - but who knows? Pilot job selection is a mystery to all!

GAZ45
3rd Sep 2015, 13:46
themanfromthatplace,

Called CTC. You can apply to Ryanair through their portal. But you must pay for and complete the CTC Airline Qualification Course (AQC) first - approx 10K.

Then they may put you forward for interview at Ryanair and a selection of other airlines. So it's slightly misleading to have a Ryanair application section of their website, because effectively it's just an application for their AQC programme.

TheManFromThatPlace
4th Sep 2015, 06:59
Haha, not surprised!! That is ridiculous though. The CTC AQC(although very good) is nothing more than an MCC/JOC like any other. Often it's done in just the fixed base 737 sim, not the fancy full motion A320 sims that you'll see on their website. 10k for that, for the possibility of being put forward for an interview? IMO makes more sense to do a regular MCC/JOC for 2/3k and apply through CAE, then if you really want to spend some more get an instructor rating.

GrobblySquirrel
19th Oct 2015, 15:15
I was hoping someone who has recently passed through CTC may be able to shed some light on the Security Bond.

I thought I understood how it worked having extensively read through this site, but having spoken to a CTC careers advisor I have now got myself fairly confused!

They claimed that if permanently employed by easyJet or BA upon successful completion of the Integrated ATPL program, you would receive not only a full base salary (38k for easy SO), but a tax free payment of £1000 per month for 69 months (to effectively pay of the 69,000 bond)

Now I appreciate this topic has been discussed to death, but I have heard no one state this is the case before and I am fairly sceptical of it to be honest!

I have heard that, on passing through the easy MPL programme for example, that you would receive the £1000 per month but your base salary would be reduced accordingly but havent seen anyone mention a full base salary plus repayments for those passing through the Integrated ATPL route.

Thanks in advance.

R T Jones
19th Oct 2015, 17:06
GrobblySquirrel,

having been through the system a few years ago, but I imagine its the same now. My salary is reduced by the amount of the bond being repaid to me. Example. My SFO salary is £45k, 9k less than a 'normal' SFO. That 9k is paid to be net of tax. You do save about 400 a month of tax, so its quite useful, but you do not get that 9k in addition to your salary.

byrondaf
2nd Nov 2015, 20:05
GrobblySquirrel, RT Jones information is still correct. Currently on flexicrew contract, once we are on a permanent NEC with EZY, we can either take a full salary £40500 and forfeit the bond, or take a £28500 salary and receive £1000 tax free per month repayment. effectively reducing our tax by £3-400 a month.

ywcaptain
5th Nov 2015, 16:47
Hi everyone,
who is booked for the selection day on the 27th of november ?

SunsetSheepLandings
9th Nov 2015, 15:26
Hi all,

As you have all been through selection and survived ;) I was wondering if any of you would mind giving me a few pointers.

What sort of things do you get asked in interview? And what's a good way of preparing? Ie. research etc?

I'm new to all this and would really appreciate some guidance, thanks :)

JaimieP
14th Nov 2015, 17:25
Hey guys, so I applied to CTC wings , and now need to take their assessment. Have any of you done this before? If so, what can I expect on the tests, and what is the best way to revise for it, and prepare. Thanks!

Flaplesslanding
15th Nov 2015, 08:58
First of all I just want to point out that there are a lot of posts about this exact subject-look through the CTC Cadets thread and that will answer a lot of your questions, both now and for the future.

To answer your question, expect a presentation from CTC, followed by group exercises and a maths/aptitude test. That completes the morning and you will then go to a competency based interview, ie. Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision/work in a team/delver results under pressure etc.

So, to prepare, as the FTE thread you posted on, get your mental maths up to speed. Practise the aptitude tests. There are various ones you can use-latestpilot jobs or skytest being but a couple-as with all things though you do get what you pay for... Also, think of examples from life that you can use to illustrate your motivation, ability to work under pressure and as a team.

Finally, I would strongly recommend you try and get on an airline course rather than the white tail route. That is by far the least risky route to an airline!

JaimieP
21st Nov 2015, 15:35
Is it possible to start the white tail route, and then be sponsored/picked up by an airline before completion?

Shawrey
21st Nov 2015, 17:56
The only one that I am aware of is the BA FPP when they require more cadets. Some were taken out before and after they finished the white tail route.

MattC123
23rd Nov 2015, 17:16
I have read some conflicting material regarding the components that make up the aptitude tests at CTC. Some articles include mechanical reasoning whereas others exclude it.

If anyone could clarify this it would be very much appreciated!

Ro007
23rd Nov 2015, 21:24
Hi
I am new to this forum
I am in the same situation like you... unable to know were to focus and change my approach.
I could not clear interview and group discussion at my previous attempt...and asked to come back 6 months later.
If any one can help ... it will be nice ...

AQVILA
15th Dec 2015, 16:54
Hi, my mate went to pilotprep.co.uk and he cruised through his CTC assessments. Said it was defo worth it. You could try asking them for more info if it's not too late.

devvo
23rd Dec 2015, 21:45
for pilot aptitude test prep for CTC use skytest...it costs, yes, but they are exactly the same tests CTC use. Otherwise just practice with any program you can get your hands on, if you can get skytest, I don't think there's anything more relative for CTC. I recommend doing the progressive lessons in it (can't remember what it is actually called, progression something...)

asmashingpumpkin
19th Jan 2016, 11:51
Hi! First time poster :*

Does anyone know if the CTC MPL for Virgin Atlantic is just another name for the latter's "Future Flyers Programme"? Does anybody have any information about the recruitment process for this prgramme (i.e. interviews, group exercises, presentations, aptitude tests etc.)? Any information would be extremely helpful!

X

gbotley
20th Jan 2016, 07:07
All the info you need for the selection has been repeated a few times on PPRuNe. It's either in this thread, or in the Virgin thread in the Wannabees forum, currently on the the first page. It's CTC who assess you at stage 2 and 3 so maybe read their preparation guide too. Sorry I can't give much more than than.

gbotley
20th Jan 2016, 14:04
@DelayReducer, Not necessarily, keep your hopes high and the airlines can be known to fund it for you. BA's FPP is one of those. Virgin did mention it in their first in-take but I'm not so certain if they are this time around so do not want to speculate.

P.S. By fund I mean secure your bond for you.

pilotfromsheff13
20th Jan 2016, 16:27
Hi everyone, is there anybody here who has taken a bank loan to complete their studies with CTC?

If you have, I am wondering if you can answer a couple of questions for me please...

1. After finishing training, how are you finding paying off the loan on a FO wage?
2. Would you recommend taking out a loan if you do not have the funds yourself to enrol on this course?

I understand many people on here are very much against taking out a loan with BBVA, however it would be interesting to see what current FO's who ahve fulfilled this process have to say.

As for me, I'm currently and Aircraft Engineering with Pilot studies student and doing 1 hour of flying per week. With one year left at university, I'm trying to sum up my options whether to go modular or integrated (with bank loan).

Many thanks in advance! :ok:

PFS

LlamaFarmer
20th Jan 2016, 17:13
Hi everyone, is there anybody here who has taken a bank loan to complete their studies with CTC?

If you have, I am wondering if you can answer a couple of questions for me please...

1. After finishing training, how are you finding paying off the loan on a FO wage?
2. Would you recommend taking out a loan if you do not have the funds yourself to enrol on this course?

I understand many people on here are very much against taking out a loan with BBVA, however it would be interesting to see what current FO's who ahve fulfilled this process have to say.

As for me, I'm currently and Aircraft Engineering with Pilot studies student and doing 1 hour of flying per week. With one year left at university, I'm trying to sum up my options whether to go modular or integrated (with bank loan).

Many thanks in advance! :ok:

PFS

After all pension/tax/NI deductibles, all essential monthly outgoings (rent/food/bills/fuel/insurances) and a few hundred a month into savings for the house deposit, I don't have all that much left to actually have a life. Certainly nowhere near enough to pay back £1500 a month on £130Ks of loan.

If I had to start training now... quite simply, I wouldn't.
Not with how much it costs, not with the employment/contract conditions.

Just like when flying, you have to consider "what if...?" when looking at paying for training.

What if I can't get a RHS job for 1-2 years? - its not uncommon, even at CTC/FTE/OAA

What if one of my parents loses their job? - Or ends up losing a big chunk of income or of their pension pot. Unless you've got significant savings to live off, you'll probably be relying on parents to support you throughout training and in the first couple of years on the line

What if I stuff up in line training (without a guaranteed job)? - if you're a non-employed pilot and on contract or placement to the airline (as I believe are most cadets until their line check) then if you need additional training, or you screw up your line check, the airline may just tell you to pack your bags, there are always plenty more fish in the infamous hold pool

What if the house value drops significantly? - leaving your parents in negative equity, and unable to move house until enough of the loan/mortgage is repaid or the house goes back up in value

What if I can't afford to make the repayments? - Defaulting on the loan could be long-term disaster. It'll hammer your credit rating for a long time, and that of any guarantors (i.e. parents), plus if you can't make the repayments they can repossess the home

What if I lose my medical? - it happens, I know 6 people in their early to mid 20s who lost their Class 1 indefinitely. Only one has got it back so far, LOTE insurance paid out for one other when the CAA said there was no chance. The other 4 are in limbo, they are recovered and the CAA will eventually assess them as fit once they satisfy all requirements, but no insurance payout as it's not permanent, and no hope of a job anytime soon as they're only part-trained, but with loan repayments looming (one of these people clocked up over £24k in regular private consultants fees and all sorts of regular cardiovascular and neurological medical tests... he is "socially healthy", so NHS said it's not necessary for him to get work and won't cover any of it, so had to go private for it all instead.

I don't mean to scare you off, but it appears far too many people do not seem to have a full appreciation of the implications.

They have access to £130k, either through their parents, or secured on their parents house, without actually calculating whether they can afford to pay it back or not.

It's irresponsible on their part, their parents part, and the banks part.

Oh and don't believe that you'll ever get ANY of your training costs back from the airline. YOU WON'T!
CTC is like any other integrated training school when it comes to money... you pay them the money (they call it a security or training bond), and you get the training.
At best, if you get placed with a CTC partner airline, you'll have a salary that is reduced by exactly the amount of "training bond" they're paying back to you, e.g. they'll give you £12k a year tax free that isn't part of your salary, and you'll just so happen to have a salary that is £12k less than a direct entry pilot.

So my advice... don't go for the loan unless you absolutely have to. And only do so if you can afford to pay it back if things don't go to plan.

A better option might be, if the circumstances allow, for your parents to remortgage their house (which is what the BBVA loan is anyway) and consolidate all the mortgage into one payment (rather than the mortgage payment PLUS the BBVA payment) and that way the payment would probably be more manageable.

But I would not want to put my parents in the position of paying off my loan because I couldn't get a job, whether through a mortgage or a loan.

gbotley
21st Jan 2016, 11:37
@DelayReducer,

In the same boat sadly. One can still dream eh! Nevertheless, passed Virgin MPL stages to date this time, waiting on a final shortlist call for The Base, Gatwick. Fingers crossed. Even so, i'm going in blind with no idea what to expect at the final interview, if called.

Still, at 22, i've many more years of attempts before my time on earth ends eh!

JonH690
21st Jan 2016, 12:25
Just out of interest, I've been selected to go to Dibden Manor on the 23rd Feb for an assessment.

Anyone else got through for this date?

tfin25
21st Jan 2016, 14:29
In the same boat sadly. One can still dream eh! Nevertheless, passed Virgin MPL stages to date this time, waiting on a final shortlist call for The Base, Gatwick. Fingers crossed. Even so, i'm going in blind with no idea what to expect at the final interview, if called.

Still, at 22, i've many more years of attempts before my time on earth ends eh!

The impression I got from stage 2 at Dibden about the virgin interview was that you either 'fit into' virgin or you don't.

gbotley
21st Jan 2016, 17:10
The impression I got from stage 2 at Dibden about the virgin interview was that you either 'fit into' virgin or you don't.

That's very much the same as me. Virgin only tends to take a very specific type of character but fingers crossed for everyone!

P.s. tfin, you got any news yet? You through too?

tfin25
21st Jan 2016, 17:27
That's very much the same as me. Virgin only tends to take a very specific type of character but fingers crossed for everyone!

P.s. tfin, you got any news yet? You through too?

Yeah exactly.

It was a no for me . I wasn't suprised really, it was my first time doing any sort of airline assesment day. I've since decided that the virgin scheme wouldn't be for me anyway so no love lost!

Tubeflyer
21st Jan 2016, 22:18
Hi all Newbie here,

I have read with interest almost all posts in this thread in order to gain an understanding as to whether CTC white tail is a viable option for myself. I won't go into details as I very much aware it may be right for some but may not be for others.

A couple of things I did want to add -

Newbies asking for information - you could do a lot worse than read back in this thread all the information is on here for everyone to see. Thank you all that have taken the time to share your experiences. It was nice to have a slight idea what to expect when I went through the selection process, I won't bore you all with it again.

Secondly I take particular interest in @LlamaFarmer's post re: loan repayments in the current climate. This is my main concern at the moment, it would be great to hear how others are coping as I can certainly see it being a struggle to say the least, when you take into account current contracts being offered by airlines to frozen ATPL pilots.

I know wages etc are a taboo subject but it's great to have an open debate about earnings v loan repayments so people can make an educated decision, however hard this may seem when one is trying to follow their dream!

Anyhoo thanks for all the information guys

Tubeflyer.

EZY_FR
22nd Jan 2016, 09:25
After all pension/tax/NI deductibles, all essential monthly outgoings (rent/food/bills/fuel/insurances) and a few hundred a month into savings for the house deposit, I don't have all that much left to actually have a life. Certainly nowhere near enough to pay back £1500 a month on £130Ks of loan.

If I had to start training now... quite simply, I wouldn't.
Not with how much it costs, not with the employment/contract conditions.

Just like when flying, you have to consider "what if...?" when looking at paying for training.

What if I can't get a RHS job for 1-2 years? - its not uncommon, even at CTC/FTE/OAA

What if one of my parents loses their job? - Or ends up losing a big chunk of income or of their pension pot. Unless you've got significant savings to live off, you'll probably be relying on parents to support you throughout training and in the first couple of years on the line

What if I stuff up in line training (without a guaranteed job)? - if you're a non-employed pilot and on contract or placement to the airline (as I believe are most cadets until their line check) then if you need additional training, or you screw up your line check, the airline may just tell you to pack your bags, there are always plenty more fish in the infamous hold pool

What if the house value drops significantly? - leaving your parents in negative equity, and unable to move house until enough of the loan/mortgage is repaid or the house goes back up in value

What if I can't afford to make the repayments? - Defaulting on the loan could be long-term disaster. It'll hammer your credit rating for a long time, and that of any guarantors (i.e. parents), plus if you can't make the repayments they can repossess the home

What if I lose my medical? - it happens, I know 6 people in their early to mid 20s who lost their Class 1 indefinitely. Only one has got it back so far, LOTE insurance paid out for one other when the CAA said there was no chance. The other 4 are in limbo, they are recovered and the CAA will eventually assess them as fit once they satisfy all requirements, but no insurance payout as it's not permanent, and no hope of a job anytime soon as they're only part-trained, but with loan repayments looming (one of these people clocked up over £24k in regular private consultants fees and all sorts of regular cardiovascular and neurological medical tests... he is "socially healthy", so NHS said it's not necessary for him to get work and won't cover any of it, so had to go private for it all instead.

I don't mean to scare you off, but it appears far too many people do not seem to have a full appreciation of the implications.

They have access to £130k, either through their parents, or secured on their parents house, without actually calculating whether they can afford to pay it back or not.

It's irresponsible on their part, their parents part, and the banks part.

Oh and don't believe that you'll ever get ANY of your training costs back from the airline. YOU WON'T!
CTC is like any other integrated training school when it comes to money... you pay them the money (they call it a security or training bond), and you get the training.
At best, if you get placed with a CTC partner airline, you'll have a salary that is reduced by exactly the amount of "training bond" they're paying back to you, e.g. they'll give you £12k a year tax free that isn't part of your salary, and you'll just so happen to have a salary that is £12k less than a direct entry pilot.

So my advice... don't go for the loan unless you absolutely have to. And only do so if you can afford to pay it back if things don't go to plan.

A better option might be, if the circumstances allow, for your parents to remortgage their house (which is what the BBVA loan is anyway) and consolidate all the mortgage into one payment (rather than the mortgage payment PLUS the BBVA payment) and that way the payment would probably be more manageable.

But I would not want to put my parents in the position of paying off my loan because I couldn't get a job, whether through a mortgage or a loan.

Absolutely nailed it on the head Llamafarmer!

pilotfromsheff13
22nd Jan 2016, 13:24
Llamafarmer - Many thanks for your reply - I've found this very helpful, as I'm sure many others will reading this forum.

Does anybody else have any experience with bank loan?

Many thanks

PFS

foliot-pilot
22nd Jan 2016, 13:34
I agree - some numbers would be great.

Specifically (if you will) the salary in the first year or so (when I imagine money is tightest). CTC say that they will pay you a 'tax free sustenance allowance' for your type rating training, can anyone put a number on this?

Thanks all.

FP.

Alex Whittingham
22nd Jan 2016, 14:11
There is this (http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/553366-ctc-cadets-initial-placement-salaries.html#post8799386) from the 'Terms and Endearment' forum just over a year ago.

foliot-pilot
22nd Jan 2016, 14:21
There is this from the 'Terms and Endearment' forum just over a year ago.

Invaluable, thank you Alex.

gbotley
22nd Jan 2016, 16:46
Very interesting read. Thanks for that.

BBVAs terms on their loans are changing soon perhaps somewhat to match the new ATPL Finance offering. In having discussions with them of late it is likely to mean payments reduce and the payment duration available increasing. Just keep an eye out on their publications.

Tubeflyer
22nd Jan 2016, 17:40
Thanks Alex - Brilliant link, enjoyed reading that.

@gbotley - I've recently read about the new financing options. As you've said will be interesting to see if BBVA change their terms in response to this.

ancientaviator62
24th Jan 2016, 09:28
A recent blog of the whole CTC/Easyjet training scheme can be found here.
harryclark141.********.co.uk. Some of you may find it of interest.

Byrne11
27th Jan 2016, 10:27
Good Morning,

6 Months ago I sat the CTC selection day, same story as many failed in two aspects, and was told to reapply in 6 months which happens to fall this month or beginning of next. I failed in one PILAPT test infact it was right at the end I lost count of the numbers and the domino effect occurred, to prepare for my resit I bought the Skytest which was recommended to me by a current airline pilot I couldn't recommend it enough. It is CTC's actual exam, when you enter the daunting exam room you will be prepared I had previously used latestpilotjobs.com which is 'Ok' for want of a better word, I found some of their tests similar although didn't prepare you enough. I used this software for Oxford, and passed first time. In reflection Oxford wasn't for me, my personality and training offered is much better suited to CTC.
I used aptitudetests for the maths for CTC and it was fantastic I scored full marks in mathematics.

I failed in my interview mainly due to lack of competency interview experience it was the first time I had encountered such an interview. This is where I'm hoping someone could assist me, I'm hoping someone might have typical questions they ask the candidates. I remember a few but they may have changed 6 months on, anyone who has done a selection day recently. I've enrolled on an airline interview preparation course next month, any help is greatly appreciated. I've no intentions on failing this interview again.

I'm aware CTC/CAE/FTE are controversial subjects on this forum, for me I'm lucky enough to be able to finance it without having to worry about not having a life and fully healthy with my eyesight falling within the CAA restrictions for correction. Any help appreciated folks.

LlamaFarmer
27th Jan 2016, 11:59
I'm hoping someone might have typical questions they ask the candidates.

- Tell me about a time when you...
.........had to improvise/adapt.
.........lead a team.
.........failed.
.........had a disagreement with a team member.
.........showed resilience.

- What do you think...
.........being an airline pilot is about?
.........are important qualities for an airline pilot?
.........the worst part about being a pilot is?

- What is/are your...
.........career goals?
.........hobbies/interests?
.........biggest weakness?
.........biggest strength?

- Why CTC?

- What airline do you want to work for?

These are all pretty generic questions. The best think in an interview is just to keep it flowing more like a conversation than an interview. If you're able to keep talking and answering follow-on questions before they have to ask them, thats a good thing

gbotley
27th Jan 2016, 13:26
^^ Pretty much as LlamaFarmer has said.

My only top tip for competency interview questions is to think of examples. But sadly there is no other replacement to help you other than life experience. In regards to the questions themselves, you mentioned Latest Pilot Jobs, I recall this site having a question bank for preparing for CTC WINGS assessment so I'd recommend that you take a look back at that. :)

All the best,

TheManFromThatPlace
28th Jan 2016, 06:33
Questions are as listed by others just before me. Remember though, the key to passing the interview is prepare and practice for it just like you would for the other parts of the assessments. Have a good idea of what you would say if asked any of those questions and practice how you would say it. Have as many examples to hand as possible. Like everything in aviation, preparation is everything. If you go into it properly prepared then you WILL pass, simple as that.

Flaplesslanding
28th Jan 2016, 08:45
The above is all really good advice, and I would just add a little interview technique. Sorry if the following seems like common sense!

Don't be afraid to ask for a moment to think of the best example to a question-it's better to think and prepare than waffle! Also, they will offer you a glass of water. Take it as this can provide thinking time mid answer and also helps if you get a dry throat during the interview. Sounds basic but it really helps!

Oh, and also the question 'what have you been doing for the last 6 months as preparation for CTC' and (assuming you got feedback) 'was our feedback useful/how have you worked on improving, based on the feedback?'

Byrne11
28th Jan 2016, 14:06
Thanks guys, appreciated!

Regards 'what have you done to prepare' if you were me, would you mention buying software to help me prepare for the PILAPT? Or should I totally ignore that.

Flaplesslanding
28th Jan 2016, 14:10
If they ask be honest. I used skytest and told them during my selection and they had no issue with it.

Tubeflyer
29th Jan 2016, 10:04
Bryne11 send me a pm and I'll answer all the questions about the interview stage, being new to this forum I can't work out how to send pm's or even if I'm allowed to! Anyway get in touch if it is possible!

Byrne11
29th Jan 2016, 12:50
Thanks buddy,

I've send an email to yourself, i look forward to hearing any advice you have! :D

Byrne11
30th Jan 2016, 14:13
I've been looking through my notes, I'm comfortable on most questions. With the help of posts above I've been able to roughly prepare answers, which i'll try and make not sound prepared in the interview!

There's one that boggles me however, 'Tell me what a Pilot is about?' I assume the answer to this is talking the attributes of a pilot. Or is it hinting more towards daily life?

foliot-pilot
30th Jan 2016, 14:39
There's one that boggles me however, 'Tell me what a Pilot is about?' I assume the answer to this is talking the attributes of a pilot. Or is it hinting more towards daily life?

Learn both and then you're covered. As said before, if you prepare you will not fail. Practice PILAPT, prepare examples for interview.

Flaplesslanding
30th Jan 2016, 15:38
If you aren't clear what they are asking in the interview then ask the interviewer to clarify what they mean, they can't expect you to answer if you aren't sure what you are being asked.

Byrne, I've replied to your PM as well.

PilotMob
31st Jan 2016, 08:42
Anyone here booked onto selection on 11th March?

Byrne11
31st Jan 2016, 17:56
You'll see my fine self there that day buddy.

LlamaFarmer
31st Jan 2016, 20:15
I've been looking through my notes, I'm comfortable on most questions. With the help of posts above I've been able to roughly prepare answers, which i'll try and make not sound prepared in the interview!

An example of a day in the life of an airline pilot from report time to off-the-clock.

So all the pre-flight preparation and briefing (wx/NOTAMs, tech log, crew briefing) aircraft walk around and setup etc.

They want you to show you have knowledge and understanding of what a pilot does, other than just flying the aircraft (or monitoring the autopilot)

PilotMob
1st Feb 2016, 15:08
See you then! You travelling up the night before?

JonH690
4th Feb 2016, 09:15
I'm still booked in for the 23rd Feb and looking forward to it!

Time to brush up on....well, everything :D

HertsPilot
6th Feb 2016, 16:39
Hi,

I recently went for a selection day for one of the airlines and have been thankfully told I passed the day and interview but have to wait to hear if i have been shortlisted for the actual airline scheme, if i was accepted on the scheme I would definitely do it but i have also been told if unsuccessful i meet the standards for the White Tail scheme and can go on that unaligned to an airline.

If i was to do that the financial risk is obviously higher as i may not get a job at the end, i wondered what everyones thoughts were about the white tail scheme and typically these days if people ascertain jobs within a short time after passing, I know it depends on the current hiring market etc. but any advice would be much appreciated.

My other option may be to wait for another airline scheme and see if i am applicable for that i suppose. Any opinion would be great as I am just interested to hear what everybody thinks..

Thanks in advance...

TheManFromThatPlace
7th Feb 2016, 14:52
Tricky decision. I've been through CTC and yes got the job, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without a serious amount of thought. Personally I have much more respect for those that go modular and get the job without paying way over the odds for the training! We live and learn though. As for current job market, it's very hard to say exactly. One thing I will say though, don't believe everything sales people tell you. Make absolutely no mistake, the people you talk to at CTC are there to do a job...sell places on the Wings course. If you look at recent photos on their FB page you will see the CPL/IR holders that went through the course recently...the majority are in the ctc uniform. What does that tell you? That they haven't (yet)got a job. If you can afford it then go for it. There's a good chance you'll go straight to the rhs of a reasonably shiny jet, and it's by far the easiest way to get there. I would not want to be left jobless with that massive amount of debt though. Remember, the basic cost (around 100K) does not include the cost of a type rating(around 30k). It's also a slow course, so you have a long time of not earning to think about as well. Takes around 18 months, plus another 2 for the type rating(ish). Modular that would be more like 12 months. No right or wrong decision, just go in with your eyes wide open. Oh yeah...one last thing. All the best.

HertsPilot
7th Feb 2016, 16:05
Thanks TheManFromThatPlace useful advice, I think ill wait to hear about the airline aligned scheme then if unsuccessful have a difficult think.

Appreciate the advice!

LlamaFarmer
7th Feb 2016, 16:36
If you look at recent photos on their FB page you will see the CPL/IR holders that went through the course recently...the majority are in the ctc uniform. What does that tell you? That they haven't (yet)got a job.

I'm highly critical of a lot of the integrated courses and the FTOs, (as well as the kids who throw their parents money at a course like that with no consideration for the implications, and the parents who allow them to do so)...

but... in fairness to CTC, (and I asked this question of a friend who finished this year), the graduation they had (where most were in CTC uniform rather than airline uniform) was for all people who finished training and had completed their MCC in 2015. Once they finish the MCC then they are eligible to apply for airlines through CTC.

Assuming they are offered an airline selection day immediately upon applying, they usually have to wait a few weeks between being given the date and actually attending. Then assuming they are successful, they have to wait for the next type rating (and easyjet themselves now apparently have their own hold pool of CTC pilots who have passed EZY selection and are just waiting for a type rating date).
The wait from being offered a type rating date to actually starting may be a couple of months, setting up a big £30,000 loan for the type rating can take a number of weeks. Then the type rating itself is 2 months. You don't get your airline uniform until you're at the induction with the airline itself.

So that is potentially up to 6 months from finishing MCC to starting airline type rating. And I wouldn't expect it to be less than 4 months at an absolute minimum, assuming you have £30k ready to pay and get lucky with the dates.

So only people who finished their MCC by June could be expected to be at an airline and in uniform by December. Apparently of the ones still in CTC uniform, most of them had offers or start dates for type rating with the likes of easy, monarch, thomas cook and flybe. There were people who had no good news even after 6 months of waiting and applying though, but these apparently were the minority.

Having said all that, and made myself feel a little bit sick defending them, they are a business and they only care about profit. Much like airlines. They spend a hella lot on marketing, both advertising and marketing employees, so expect to be drawn in by all the shiny wonderful dreams they sell. And take it with a pinch of salt.

I would say if you are unsuccessful for one airline course, apply for another, and another. I believe you usually have to wait 6 months after failing one before you can reapply for the same one, but I think you can apply for the BA FPP, EZY MPL and Virgin MPL within 6 months of each other. Not 100% sure though.

But it's better to wait a year and be on an airline course with a guaranteed* job at the end rather than finishing then having to do the hardest part of all which is securing a job.

* Even on an airline scheme, the job is not guaranteed by any means. You have to meet all required standards throughout training. Only once you complete your line check are you "secure" as it were. (And even then you're still only as secure as any other pilot, if you consistently don't perform then you're at risk. But by the time you pass line check you're not likely to develop consistent problems that weren't already noted and fixed during line training) If you don't meet the requirements though, you'll get chopped. Apparently everyone knows someone who has been dropped by an airline, at all stages of training. I don't, but then I don't know many people from these schemes.

ManUtd1999
7th Feb 2016, 17:40
£30,000 loan for the type rating

93k for CTC Wings + 30k for a type-rating now? :O Daylight robbery. If CTC can do exactly the same course/rating for 84k under the BA FPP scheme then how is an extra 40k justified? More importantly, who's signing up?

Wait a couple of years whilst maybe doing some gliding/PPL alongside uni/a job and apply for all the "sponsored" schemes you can. If you don't get in consider going modular - that's my plan/advice

LlamaFarmer
7th Feb 2016, 18:14
93k for CTC Wings + 30k for a type-rating now? :O Daylight robbery. If CTC can do exactly the same course/rating for 84k under the BA FPP scheme then how is an extra 40k justified? More importantly, who's signing up?

Wait a couple of years whilst maybe doing some gliding/PPL alongside uni/a job and apply for all the "sponsored" schemes you can. If you don't get in consider going modular - that's my plan/advice

I believe under the BA FPP scheme that once you finish the CPL/IR, then you're no longer CTC's "problem", and it is BA who fund the MCC and fund or provide the type rating.

At £30k these days for their type ratings, and £10k for their MCC/JOC, that is probably where the extra £40k comes from

ManUtd1999
7th Feb 2016, 19:35
True, if BA are funding the type-rating in full then that's 30k saved. I'm pretty sure the 84k covers the MCC though. And I wonder what an A320 rating actually costs Easyjet/CTC/other to provide......

LlamaFarmer
7th Feb 2016, 20:17
True, if BA are funding the type-rating in full then that's 30k saved. I'm pretty sure the 84k covers the MCC though. And I wonder what an A320 rating actually costs Easyjet/CTC/other to provide......

Rumours are that they outsourced a few Thomas Cook A320 type ratings a few months ago when they ran out of room... paid TCX £18k to type rate their own pilots, so a nice £12k profit.

I stress rumours, quite possibly Chinese whispers or only half-the-truth.

HertsPilot
8th Feb 2016, 16:25
Thanks LlamaFarmer and ManUtd1999, appreciate the advice. Will let you know when I know for definite either way.

Byrne11
10th Feb 2016, 15:54
Guys, I've received some excellent advice on here regards CTC. I haven't even read the negative posts about CTC, I've spoken to and became friends with past CTC cadets who now work for Virgin/Easy and they went down the Whitetail route. Its not for everyone, if you're putting your parents house on the line it goes without saying its not the smartest move.

I've one questions regards the selection if anyone can remember when they sat their assessment. During the Capacity/ Shape test what is the time set for each segment is it 30 seconds?

LlamaFarmer
11th Feb 2016, 06:23
True, but a lot of the negative posts don't seem to be informed, balanced or rational. It's like the posters had a chip on their shoulder, maybe because they couldn't afford to go integrated, or failed the interview.

There are a lot of sensible and impartial but negative posts, but there are a lot that are not also.

Just a thought.

Byrne11
11th Feb 2016, 14:19
Exactly, my thoughts.

It comes across some posters are envious of the route that some have taken to the flight deck.

FlyVeryHigh-
11th Feb 2016, 16:32
I dont think its a case of jealously, all the time that is anyway.

I'll give my 2 cents. I've spent years wanting to get into training, and of course wanting to get to the rhs. I've sat around watching the price increase year on year (for CTC and the 2 others anyway). I couldn't afford self-sponsored.

I'm not jealous of anyone who wants to go self sponsored, thats their choice, and indeed their risk (because there is a risk involved). Not having the money at my disposal or not having it even within my reach means that I saved hard and took every opportunity to get it (or try getting it). I worked hard for years and therefore i'm very careful with the money earnt, and therefore any risk no matter how small is amplified, ideally I want 100% guarantee i'm going to get that rhs because ultimately I dont want to spend the fruits of my years of hard work to ultimately end up in the same position 18 months down the line.

I think we need to put jealousy in 1 category, but we need to put those who arent risk takers and those who are extremely cautious into another category.

Back when I was 18 I would have did anything to get on to a course like CTC wings, and that would have included a £100k hand-out from my parents secured on their mortgage. I would have been so excited to be taking the course that my vision would have been clouded by the thoughts of sitting in the rhs at the controls of an a320.

Now I wouldnt be so sure, purely just because of the risk factor involved; it doesn't make me jealous, it makes me cautious. There are some comments on here from previous cadets who haven't had a good experience. You could give me 5 negative reviews of CTC out of 100 and i'd be focusing on those 5 because its a risk and I want to mitigate that as much as possible.

Flaplesslanding
12th Feb 2016, 06:20
Just a thought on the risk assessment thing-and something seldom pointed out here-around 2/300 whitetail CTC cadets graduate per year, afaik, if they were waiting unreasonably long for jobs, or always getting screwed by CTC, there would be a whole lot more negativity on this thread from past cadets.

There is a BIG risk, no one is denying that, and I know a couple of people who did get shafted by CTC, but just wanted to point out that a forum inevitably attracts the bitter/jealous far more than the happy.

Oh, and you can get kicked off airline courses if you don't reach the standard as well... Nothing is 100% in life.

ywcaptain
12th Mar 2016, 08:30
Hi everyone,
Yesturday I did my re-application for the wings programme and I had only pilapts to do because my 6 tasks were low the first time and bad for the negative right square and the multitasking

So yesterday all my 6 modules were much better but only one went wrong the multitasking where I loose confidence and I did mistakes I had on the screen 12 miss and 3 hits

But all the rest of my test is pretty good
Do you think I have a chance to pass ?
And are there any other people here who had the same case ?

HertsPilot
13th Mar 2016, 17:13
I think that sounds great but who knows the performance standards, I am sure there is a minimum baseline for passing but I believe (from what I have read anyway) it comes down to improvement as well, making sure that your last score is better than first.

I am sure you have to get X out of Y but ultimately I think what also comes in to it is can you take on new information and learn from it, best of luck anyway!

Byrne11
14th Mar 2016, 13:05
I got accepted into CTC Integrated ATPL this morning, absolutely thrilled! The hard work begins now hopefully i'll be joining some of yourselves in the flight deck in the coming years!

Tubeflyer
14th Mar 2016, 20:35
Byrne - Congratulations!

Any idea what CP you'll be in and when you'll be starting?

Byrne11
15th Mar 2016, 10:26
Thanks Tubeflyer!

Not yet, I just received an email yesterday asking a few simple questions and that they will be in contact this week with course details. I'm assuming thats where I'll be able to find that out, id prefer to do my ground school in Southampton.

Byrne11
16th Mar 2016, 09:24
Guys, whats the general thoughts on the degree offered by CTC? Is it a big advantage at the end of training in terms of employment on the partner airlines.

Thanks.

average-punter
16th Mar 2016, 22:08
Not at all, to be honest from what I've seen it's not worth the paper it's written on. The cynic in me says the real reason for it's introduction was to obtain access to student funding for the course.

doz111
20th Mar 2016, 15:52
The "degree" will give you no advantage over others in terms of getting a job at the end of training. As the above poster mentions, the only reason people do it is to gain access to student loan finance, which you otherwise cannot get.

JulietOscarCharlie
21st Mar 2016, 19:53
Ive read that an iPad is necessary for training... Are Macbooks also acceptable or is it just iPads, if both which would be better?

Also what sort of software is used on either? Is there a dedicated app for ground school learning?

PPRuNeUser0156
22nd Mar 2016, 09:01
Any Macbook with Maverick OS or newer. iPad with a fairly new OS works too, just down to personal preference. Its an app, which will have the majority of your ATPL learning material. Easier than giving you a ton of books.

JulietOscarCharlie
22nd Mar 2016, 17:31
Thanks FlyingGreek just need to pass the assessment now! Have you studied at CTC?

LiamW
22nd Mar 2016, 22:44
Hi! I've been doing a lot of prep for my selection day at CTC, and was wondering if anyone else here may have theirs in April? Thanks!

randylim
24th Mar 2016, 05:27
Hi! I'm having my CTC assessment for Royal Brunei Integrated ATPL on the 28th of March, anyone doing it on that same day here?

ced0802
7th Apr 2016, 14:55
Hi Guys,

I have been checking for a while if any MPL scheme was opened on CTC website.
Does any of you how otften they open?
Thanks !

adhil1997
7th Apr 2016, 20:13
Last when I called them, the lady clearly informed me that all vacancies have been taken up for the next 1.5 years

danbw9
7th Apr 2016, 21:05
Hey everyone!

Anyone on the course starting in early October?

I realise it is 6 months away and there is no CPxxx assigned to it, but would like to get to know my coursemates sooner rather than later.

Cheers

wonder88
7th Apr 2016, 22:14
Hi Guys,

I have been checking for a while if any MPL scheme was opened on CTC website.
Does any of you how otften they open?
Thanks !
How long is a piece of string?

Try calling them and asking, might as well hear it directly from them.

ced0802
8th Apr 2016, 07:50
A year and a half..ugh :( I apparently missed the boat !

thienhoaquyen
8th Apr 2016, 13:44
Anyone on the assessment day the 14 of April? (Flexicrew program)

Live your dream
16th Apr 2016, 08:47
Hello,

Does anyone know how is the current situation of the Flexicrew pool? I have heard from someone doing it that almost everybody is getting an invitation for a selection day with easyJet.

Is there anyone going for the assesment day the 9th of May?

Flaplesslanding
16th Apr 2016, 11:26
Direct info on numbers in the pool is not common knowledge, as CTC don't publish it. Having said that, assuming one meets the criteria for easyJet then it's really not a long wait to get an assessment just now. I believe it's been in the region of 1-2 months wait for an assessment for most people finishing so far this year-and some have had less than that! If one doesn't meet the EJ criteria then things will take a little longer.

danbw9
16th Apr 2016, 18:44
Recently, most whitetail graduates are getting invited by easyJet for assessment (source: selection day). Some get invited minutes (!) after being put into the holdpool. Although easyJet partnered with FTE Jerez recently, they still uphold and maintain that CTC are their 'preferred supplier'. Also many modular graduates are getting those easyJet invitations.

ced0802
16th Apr 2016, 18:46
Hi everyone,

Just wondering something : if we apply for one of the MPL selection at CTC but fail...Can we apply just after for the Whitetail ATPL integrated and take the test again? or we have a 6 months period to wait?

flyfly4
17th Apr 2016, 17:15
What's necessary to be in the CTC hold pool? With just doing the GS with them, would they add you into it? Cheers

Flaplesslanding
17th Apr 2016, 19:33
With the hold pool, one either needs to complete the full integrated course, to the required standard, which will mean one enters the main CTC holdpool (I think this is now the flexicrew hold pool-the names have changed a bit since I went through, but the structure is similar). The other way in is to complete AQC with CTC (their version of MCC/JOC). This gets one into a slightly different hold pool, as integrated cadets have priority. However, cadets from both pools are, I believe, getting placements with easyJet without too much delay. Just doing groundschool won't do it, as one wouldn't have completed any flying with CTC.

flyfly4
19th Apr 2016, 18:43
Thanks for the info Flaplesslanding, do you think is worth paying an extra 8000€ to do the MCC/JOC (AQC) at CTC to be able to be in the hold pool? I haven't had the chance of meeting any modular that just did AQC with them, or either ATPL+AQC @ CTC.

cheers

PPRuNeUser0156
20th Apr 2016, 09:42
I met a few modular students who did the AQC at CTC and were waiting for their start date with Easyjet. It didn't seem as though they were waiting much longer than the integrated students when being put forward for interviews. One was a month after completion and another was 3 months.

flyfly4
23rd Apr 2016, 19:10
thanks for your reply flyingGreek, i need to make sure that by doing the ground school and the AQC with CTC I would get some interview because if I decide to do the AQC with CTC I would need to pay an extra 9000€ aprox, compared by doing MCC+JOC at Simtech.

LlamaFarmer
23rd Apr 2016, 19:22
flyfly4, if you do the "AQC" with CTC and you meet the required standard during the course, then you will go into their hold pool. Then when you're near the top of the list, and you meet the requirements specified by the airline, they will offer you the chance to go for selection for that airline.

Whether you do ground school or not with CTC is irrelevant as far as I know.

Points to note - Doing the "AQC" does not automatically guarantee an interview... if you fall short of the standard, you will not make it into the hold pool and therefore will not get an interview.
The aviation industry changes pretty rapidly, and what is the case today, may be different next week.
There are many people doing an MCC/JOC at CTC having already done one previously. Several of them did one at Simtech, then only a couple of months later went to CTC as well. Several at my airline have done more than one MCC/JOCs, and went to CTC in order to get better access to the jobs and opportunities.

flyfly4
23rd Apr 2016, 22:20
thank you for replying llamafarmer, that's interesting to know.

What is the "required standard" that they expect from students? I would like to know what they really want.

How does it exactly work? For example if I would like to go to easyjet, do they get you interviews from airlines you are interested or just any?

Thanks!!

LlamaFarmer
24th Apr 2016, 07:02
I think the way it works when you are in the hold pool is they tell you what the general requirements are for each airline (i.e. minimum average ATPL ground school %, number of retakes, maximum series/attempt for CPL/IR, maximum number of extra training hours required etc) and what the type rating situation for each airline is (i.e. paid for by the airline, paid for by the trainee, paid at short notice by the trainee) then you can work out which you are/aren't eligible for.

They then keep you informed of the selections that you are eligible for, but you don't have to accept a selection/assessment for that airline or at that time. e.g. if you wanted to work for Monarch and they offer an Easyjet selection you don't have to take the EJ assessment, or you might tell them you can only take a selection for airlines that will pay the type rating. Not taking an assessment opportunity that is offered doesn't count as one of your attempts, it only counts if you take the assessment and fail (or turn it down). But if you're turning down assessment opportunities they will be asking themselves why and probably be asking you too.

As for "required standard", from speaking to others, it appears that the non-technical skills training, each simulator session, and the MCC overall, is marked on a scale of 1 to 4...
3 being "good enough" or "achieves expected standard", 4 being "very good" or "exceeds expected standard".
2 is "below standard expected" and 1 is something along the lines of "oh dear me, try a different career"

Getting a 3 for everything is "good enough", getting 4s is a demonstration of your abilities, but won't put you at any particular advantage over anyone else, so if you get 3s, you don't have to worry about someone jumping ahead of you because they got 4s.
Getting a 2 for one sim is not the end of the world, but does limit your options with regards to certain airlines. Getting a 1 is a big problem.

Apparently airlines view a 3 as a normal standard, or "meets CTC standard". Since airlines have experience of, and are happy with, the CTC product, anything that meets that standard is pretty much a known quality and therefore has a good enough technical/non-technical foundation, with the extra capacity to be moulded by the airline and be able to cope with type rating and line training.

If you are "just another typical CTC trainee" that'll be usually be good enough for nearly every CTC-partner airline.

As for airline assessment/selection/interview, one of the main reasons people fail that stage is not because of their technical knowledge or non-technical skills (i.e. group exercises etc), it is because they don't appear to have thought about their longer term plans, or why they want to join THAT airline.
Granted, at that stage, most people would be happy with any airline that wants them, and even outside aviation, people at the start of their career are pretty grateful to get their first job whoever its for.
BUT, it's a game, you have to show them you want it. Know about the company, have a good answer for why you want to join that company, and why you are a good fit for the company. And if they ask where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years time, don't say something unrealistic, but also don't say something like "flying long haul" at an Easyjet interview. Even though you've paid for your training and will probably be paying for your type rating, the airline is still going to be investing a lot into you, they don't want you to be leaving after a few years for something better. Even if that is your plan, even if they know it's probably your plan, for god's sake don't actually admit it openly, it's insulting to the airline who you're trying to get a job offer from.

flyfly4
27th Apr 2016, 16:49
thanks a lot for the detailed response LlamaFarmer.

Anyone who has only done the AQC with CTC has got any interview?

LlamaFarmer
27th Apr 2016, 20:18
One of the guys currently type rating at CTC on the A320, not sure if for easyJet or Monarch, but he came from somewhere in Europe with CPL/IR/MCC and hadn't managed to get any interviews since completing his integrated training (not at one of the UK integrated schools) in 2013.
Apparently finished his AQC about 5 months ago, so even he at the lowest of CTC's priority list managed to get an assessment and type rating date within about 3-4 months of going into the hold pool.

Jamslug
30th Apr 2016, 15:50
I had my CTC assessment on 27th April . Were you in my group?

Tubeflyer
5th May 2016, 10:47
Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any info on the online test which needs to be completed before starting at CTC? I've been sent the ebooks and am about ready I think but just wondering how others have found it? Challenging compared to selection? Is it possible to completely fail or is it just a case of retaking? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

aerodestination
5th May 2016, 10:56
Hi Tubeflyer. I wouldn't worry to much about it. It is only basic math and physics. Things like newton laws, trigonometry and formula rearrangements. Just make sure you read the padpilot books properly. It will take you about 3-5 hours to read through it all. Make the test (open book) and you will see that you'll probably score in the region of 90-100%. If you fail the test, just try it again.

the sooner you'll pass the exams, the sooner you can start reading the 'real deal'. Module 1 is a tough module with POF and Gen Nav. Do as much pre reading as you can. Good luck! :ok:

FlyVeryHigh-
5th May 2016, 13:22
Has CTC selection changed in that there are now online tests before proceeding to Assessment at Dibden Manor? :\

Tubeflyer
5th May 2016, 13:37
Thanks for the reply aero, I've spent the last few weeks reading padpiolt so will take the leap in the next few days. As you say I'm keen to get stuck into the actual modules!

Just to clarify veryhighflyer - this is after selection at Dibden and being accepted but prior to commencing the course.

Byrne11
5th May 2016, 23:59
The tests are very straight forward, the few guys I've spoke to and myself all got 100% in both.

FlyANA
7th May 2016, 18:43
100% here too. It's GCSE stuff, just read the manual and you'll be fine.

CapitanDuckhead
9th May 2016, 21:59
Poor, naive kids. After next two years no work + 70k debt = cold shower on overheated heads. Good luck all of you, maybe you become flight instructors on 40y.o+ smelly Cessna with income below national minimum wage

seen_the_box
10th May 2016, 16:02
I'm far from a CTC apologist, but I don't think that the above post paints a realistic picture of what awaits graduates of the Wings programme.

The first couple of years after training will probably be something of a struggle financially, but there's still a reasonable chance (although by no means nailed on!) that less than a decade after starting training, you'll be a captain on a package worth well over £100k a year.

An untagged course at CTC represents a significant risk, but prospects are still not bad.

GrobblySquirrel
10th May 2016, 18:59
Poor, naive kids. After next two years no work + 70k debt = cold shower on overheated heads. Good luck all of you, maybe you become flight instructors on 40y.o+ smelly Cessna with income below national minimum wage
This post screams bitterness and chip on shoulder. Simply not true.

CapitanDuckhead
10th May 2016, 21:38
not true ? so how could this happened to me ? and to my mates too ?

Flaplesslanding
11th May 2016, 18:46
Captain Duckhead, It is possible to end up in your position from CTC, yes. They are ruthless if they decide you don't meet their standard. Can I ask if it was at CTC you did your training?

My experience (and the experience of around 85/90% of whitetail cadets I know) was a very swift transfer from training to employment, with various partner airlines accepting new cadets directly onto jet jobs. That is a far cry from what you are suggesting is the norm...

Tubeflyer
11th May 2016, 22:11
CaptainDuckhead - I'd be very interested to hear about your experiences. I'm assuming you went through CTC and were offered nothing at the end? Were you put forward to any airline assessments?

seen_the_box
11th May 2016, 22:37
He seems to be a bitter troll.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend people spend £100k on training without at least having the relative security of a place on an airline tagged scheme, but history suggests that if you're going to do it, you may as well do it with CTC. I don't think there are many who made the grade on the course who haven't found airline employment in short order.

Qtr Life Crisis
12th May 2016, 11:43
Perhaps an inability to master the english language, as demonstrated in his post, influenced negatively his chances of an appreciable outcome?

danbw9
6th Jul 2016, 16:23
Anyone on CP153(G) starting in October 2016?

byrondaf
7th Jul 2016, 21:19
I'm far from a CTC apologist, but I don't think that the above post paints a realistic picture of what awaits graduates of the Wings programme.

The first couple of years after training will probably be something of a struggle financially, but there's still a reasonable chance (although by no means nailed on!) that less than a decade after starting training, you'll be a captain on a package worth well over £100k a year.

An untagged course at CTC represents a significant risk, but prospects are still not bad.

Seen_the_box, well said. I'm 7 months into Flexicrew at easyJet and the winter months were tough financially, really tough. Summer months much better but really just preparing for winter until that all important contract materialises. As someone that put a lot of their own money into the course, I'm just about getting by. God knows how some of the guys are paying it all back on Flexi wage in the winter...

AMS
7th Jul 2016, 22:01
Well count your blessings because there are many who have spent loads and no opportunity- at least you are flying and making ends meet- getting relevant experience and start.........

Just my opinion

byrondaf
8th Jul 2016, 06:48
AMS, yes I agree. A few guys I trained with aren't employed and some guys/girls I've met along the way have been waiting a very long time for their opportunity as I'm sure you have too. Same old thing though, quite a few go into training with their eyes shut about the reality of paying stuff back.

RocketRazzaq
8th Jul 2016, 17:58
"How would you as a commercial pilot for EasyJet contribute towards making EasyJet Europes preferred shot haul airline?"
Any ideas what they want to know?

byrondaf
10th Jul 2016, 14:03
Have a think...what can you influence as a pilot? OTP, customer service, managing disruptions etc...

tech log
15th Dec 2016, 02:43
This is a remarkably interesting thread when you read right from the beginning.

I'd like to contribute some facts as a Wings cadet who got placed with a partner airline earlier this year.

Over the last year and at the moment the market is strong. It is advertised than things like max 10 hours of remedial training, first series LSTs, no more than three ATPL fails is the standard for the hold pool.

I know people who have been placed who have violated these requirements.

I'm not saying it will be like this forever. But at the moment things are not as black and white as they perhaps used to be. If you show the passion and attitude to keep going CTC will appreciate that and help you to keep going. Believe me as I know first hand what eau de PR/2, as mentioned early on in the original wings thread, smells like!

The training is very good, when you get to the end of training and look back you can really appreciate the vertical integration of airline SOP philosophy from day one. Bournemouth has some brilliant instructors. JS who runs CTC NZ is a fantastic HoT. NZ have no problems with handing out extra flights, at their own cost, to trainees who perhaps haven't flown in a week with wx and are losing currency. Trainees can abort solo flights for things like wx and do the lesson again (y-flighting) free of charge, no questions asked unless you're being silly and it was CAVOK or something. They do genuinely want the best for you, they want you to get that first time CPL and they want to see you placed with an airline.

There is risk. I know several people who struggled too much and either left CTC or dropped off wings onto the modular Take-Off programme. If this happens in NZ/AZ it is if you have so much remedial training that the number of failed hours you have is 10% or more of your total hours. At that point CTC UK review you and decide to continue you on wings, offer you the performance protection and a ticket home, or offer a new contract for the modular take-off programme. I know people this has unfortunately happened to. One moved to take-off. He's now flying an A320.

The fact of the matter is every situation is different and it very much depends on the individual person. Your attitude and commitment will go a long way in their desire to help you.

It's not perfect. Admin isn't great. With it being such a large organisation it is inevitable that there are some unpleasant members of staff = Play the game and keep your head down. Everybody moans about scheduling. They do a lot of standardisation work but there are still discrepancies between instructors which can be annoying and detrimental.

If a prospective trainee asked me for advice....apply for an MPL. You will have a much, much easier life without CPL/IR/Hold Pool/Airline assessment worries. Qatar gets you the most income the quickest; go there, live sensibly and pay off the loan as soon as possible. Quids in. It is very rare for an MPL trainee to be terminated.

Keep your head down. Ask plenty of questions. Don't listen to the Chinese whisper monkey business, Clearways is like a KGB network of whispered half-truths. Play the bloody game. Having been through the process myself, the fact is that in 2016 in this economy, the vast majority of trainees got placed.

I know from friends still there that two new airlines have dipped into the hold pool recently, including an A330 operator. Most seem to go to easyJet who take a few every month but there absolutely are other airlines who come in now and then. Time and place.

It's a long, stressful, arduous process. You need to sit down and be honest with yourself and 100% believe that you really want to be an Airline Pilot because if that commitment isn't there, you will find the course very challenging and at times overwhelming. If you do, people are getting airline assessment dates hours after getting hold pool confirmation emails. There are jobs. It won't always be like this but this year and touch wood the next few years, the going is good.

Good luck.

back.of.class
15th Dec 2016, 16:39
Thanks for your input Tech log, much appreciated. :ok:

vikdream
15th Dec 2016, 21:08
My two cents...

Been there, done that as well. Got placed extremely quickly a few years ago, straight into perm position with really cool airline. Moved since then. Debt paid off, nice car, bought my first home.

BUT

The truth will be what you want to hear, of course it will. As a wannabe you won't believe CapitanDuckhead because it is not what you want to hear. You will find then comments like tech_log and voilà, meets your expectations and will become reality for you.

BUT

The truth, from outside, is really between good and evil. It is between comments like CapitanDuckhead and tech_log. Yes, many guys were, are and will be placed. Yes a good number will pursue good careers in aviation. But many guys just don't. I know cases. People bankrupted because they did not "meet the standard". People jobless after three-four years, finally finding their first aviation job well far from home.

Oh, but they did not meet the standard! Well, they were not stupid people. Not all of them. I have seen brilliant and smart people fall into this category, and I have seen people that would only fly solo around Hamilton to avoid getting lost get their A320 position. Yes, some of them it was down to attitude towards the whole thing, but some did not. If CTC do not like you, then you are... well you know the words.

CTC is far from what you might think, and the whole process is far more complex than what you would even imagine. They want your money and you are treated as a little customer. Yes, there is a reward at the end for some of the cadets, still not very pleasant experience. Been there, done that.

Conditions afterwards are tough as well nowadays. When I joined, mostly perm positions and no TR (or reduced price). Nowadays... oh well. But that does not get better if you train somewhere else.

That's the reality, and let me say something else. Wannabes, do not discard "bitter" comments just because you think the guys is trolling you or he was just an idiot and he could not fly. Some of them might be, but many are not. It is extremely difficult to hear bad things from recently graduated cadets in public, because CTC are really good at playing games. They will not ever tell you "you are not good enough, bye bye". They will always make you believe "maybe one day", so that you hold on to that and that way they avoid bad press. Yes, I know guys like this. Many years and still dreaming with that e-mail with an invite for an interview. So, take very seriously and investigate further any comments of unhappy cadets, especially if you are thinking about mortgages/getting your parents involved in order to do this.

Good luck to you all

tech log
15th Dec 2016, 21:31
I did try not to be sycophantic and overly positive.

Wannabees need to understand that there are times on that course that you will :mad: hate the place.

It is sad, and scary, that your £100,000 loan hangs on the balance of 4 hours of flight time, in the CPL and IR tests. Fail once and you're still in with a shot. Fail twice - no chance.

More than one bad day at AQC - no easyJet. Can still get others.

As I mentioned earlier there are other airlines (I know, I went to one) but they drop in and out unlike easyJet. You could be waiting a while.

Nothing is guaranteed EVER. You need to have 100% commitment, and belief in yourself, and sorry but you need to have the bottle too.

The keys to success, in my experience

Don't show up to Dibden at 18 with no life experience. CTC is enough of a face slap introduction to the real world as it is, you don't need to be going into that 90 degree steep learning curve with no experience behind you.

Have a few years of employment. Have some money saved away.

Learn all about non-technical skills and start working on them now.

Get a PPL.

MPL is a blunter knife edge to walk on, safer. Be careful though as although QR is apparently good economically, there were some rumours on the old Clearways Urgent News Telecommunication System grapevine that if you want to leave QR for Europe you'd have to get an EASA CPL/IR and do ground school again. I don't know that might be nonsense but IF its true it's something you want to know going in to the course.

Seriously, good luck.

Momo199850
8th Jan 2017, 20:27
Anyone on CP161 starting early March?

SamVino
10th Jan 2017, 12:14
Hello there,

@vikdream and @tech_log thanks, your posts can be very useful for aspiring pilots. You have fair points regarding CTC and the risk of not getting a job a the end of training.
But, isn't it the case for all training schools? It is fair to say that some cadets don't get a job easily at the end, and so that the investment is risky, but do you know another school where the investment could be less risky, and getting a job easier?
I feel that CTC is one of the school offering the highest chances of success.
Thanks

jessiehazel95
11th Jan 2017, 16:28
Hi, I've got an assessment day with CTC wings on 31st January, I literally have no experience and this will be my first assessment day to be a pilot I'm currently cabin crew for BA. Any tips or advice would greatly be appreciate, don't know what to expect.

Many thanks

back.of.class
11th Jan 2017, 19:36
All you need to know.

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/250640-ctc-wings-cadets-thread-part-2-a.html

JRW_flyboy
11th Jan 2017, 21:04
Hi all,

I'm new to PPRuNe, and the following is directed at those who have gone to CTC selection or those who are soon going:

I've seen hardly any information at all about the online assessments that CTC ask candidates to complete before turning up at a selection day. I'd just like to ask what other people thought about them and how much weight they think these online assessments carry in the overall selection.

When I completed them, I was surprised that the maths test included a section on unit conversion without giving the actual conversion rates. Did anyone else think the same or did I just miss something?

Lastly, is anyone going for selection at CTC on 17th Jan?

dingue
20th Jan 2017, 10:01
To those that have completed or are currently on this course - just a question regarding the ages of the students. Are most in their teens/early twenties, or are there a few in their mid to late twenties too? I'm soon to turn 30 and am looking at applying for this scheme - I wouldn't want to feel totally out of place with nothing but a bunch of teens!

Basil Fawlty1
20th Jan 2017, 17:21
I asked this question to CTC and was told they regularly have students in their 30s and even early 40s...

RyanG87
23rd Jan 2017, 12:49
I'm looking at doing the fully integrated course at CTC (after much research on this forum) and one of the main factors swaying my decision in the way of integrated is the £69,000 training bond deposit that is paid back my the airline you work for over 7 years.

I am aware that you have to get a job with either Monarch, British Airways or Easyjet to qualify for this, but has anyone had any experience with the legitimacy of this? Who is it that ultimately pays the deposit back?

My concern is that there will be some sort of catch, such as a reduction in wages during these 7 years, or certain terms and conditions that would make it very unlikely to get the bond repaid.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/experience anyone has on this as it will likely be the key factor in my choice between modular and integrated.

Thanks

Officer Kite
23rd Jan 2017, 13:32
That £69,000 is a part of your training costs, it is gone once you give them that cash, be under no illusion and don't be swayed by whatever spin they put on it.

How it works (or at least used to) is the £69,000 'bond' is transferred to whatever airline you start to work for, who then pay you back £1,000 of it every month. The catch is that the salary your airline put you on is reduced by £12,000 a year compared to what it should be for a year 1 direct entry first officer.

As the £1,000 they pay back is tax-free, you essentially have £12,000 of what your annual salary should have been coming into you tax-free, therefore the sole benefit is avoiding tax on £12,000 of your income per year.

average-punter
24th Jan 2017, 01:35
Don't forget any contracts on the continent require you to forfeit the bond

dingue
25th Jan 2017, 11:24
A question regarding the minimuum academic qualifications required to be eligible to apply to the CTC partner airlines.

Does anybody definitively know which ones do/don't require A-Levels?

I got a string of A* and A's at GCSE, but flunked my A-Levels and got 3 D's. Which partner airlines would still consider interviewing hold pool candidates who essentially doesn't hold any A-Levels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gbotley
25th Jan 2017, 16:15
The criteria for airlines changes all the time.

At the moment however, the only one I'm aware of requiring A levels is easyJet for their Generation easyJet Routes 1 through 3. Route 4 it doesn't appear to be a requirement and the same goes for those pilots they take straight out of the hold pool.

Hope this helps you dingue.

dingue
27th Jan 2017, 10:22
Hi planesandthings,

Many thanks for taking time to offer your advice. :)

I sat my A-Levels as an 18 year old in 2006 - eleven years ago.

Since then I have taken professional exams in the field in which I currently work, and passed them all with good marks. I definitely have the aptitude to sit exams - it just so happens that I did my A-Levels at a time where I didn't particularly value the importance of getting good grades.

As far as a 'fall back' option incase of anything going wrong, the field in which I currently work is fairly niche, so although jobs are quite rare, when one does pop up there is very little competition for the roles.

I'm already certain of going ahead and applying for the course. I was just trying to gauge which airlines have a pre-requisite as to minimum A-Level requirements, before looking at ATPL marks etc.

planesandthings
27th Jan 2017, 12:21
Dingue

I apologise for my assumption! I wrongly assumed you were another school leaver perhaps with the bank of mum and dad standing by.

Sounds like you've got it all planned, your fall back option sounds perfect if it's niche and has little competition. I wish the same could be said for pilots!

All the best.

tech log
27th Jan 2017, 12:56
CTC give you a CV template you need to fill in to send to partner airliners which has a space on it to note A Level results.

I suggest you call them and ask for specific airline requirements. If they can't answer on the phone ask to be put through to someone in airline placement at Dibden.

SSKERR
28th Jan 2017, 22:52
Anyone on CP161 starting early March?
I may be! Mid-March is the last update I've had. Coventry too!

Momo199850
31st Jan 2017, 18:28
Great, Email me! :)

BlueBaron949
7th Feb 2017, 12:04
Hi guys,

Just interested in how long it takes between sending your application and getting a date for selection.

Cheers

SSKERR
7th Feb 2017, 19:11
After passing the application process it depends on the next available selection dates. I waited around 2 months! :)

matt_wizz
7th Feb 2017, 19:26
I applied to CTC/EJ in the middle of August 2016 if I remember rightly and was offered Stage 2 end of October 2016, but on checking the website very regularly sincen then it continually says 'no spaces currently available - try again later.' which is getting frustrating!

Best of luck with your application.

MiggHD
7th Feb 2017, 21:04
Dont worry, I flopped in my GCSE's. I know I wont be going down the whitetail route, instead I will go down the Intergrated CPL/IR with takeoff.

But the main thing is the ATPL's. you cant afford to fail them or your career is over.

Bealzebub
7th Feb 2017, 21:17
But the main thing is the ATPL's. you cant afford to fail them or your career is over.

No it isn't! However it is not a good idea.

BlueBaron949
8th Feb 2017, 08:45
After passing the application process it depends on the next available selection dates. I waited around 2 months! :)
Cheers, I'll be looking to apply about Juneish then!

No it isn't! However it is not a good idea.

I'm aware of a now first officer, that resat 5 ATPL exams!

planesandthings
8th Feb 2017, 10:44
Dont worry, I flopped in my GCSE's. I know I wont be going down the whitetail route, instead I will go down the Intergrated CPL/IR with takeoff.

I hope failing your GCSEs was tongue in cheek! If not sorry to be the one that bursts your bubble but I am not much older than you, I had mixed results and pulled myself together and eventually got most of the results I wanted, if you can't even meet the basic requirements for whitetail you need to go back and make sure you can, basic education comes over aviation.

Failing your ATPLs is one thing, but most of us have Level 3 Qualifications like A Levels at a minimum to fall back on, many have degrees. Enough people struggle with ATPLs with very reputable education and I've heard even at Intergrated schools in the last few months there have been failures.

But to not even have 5 passes at GCSEs is asking for a disaster. Lose your medical? Where next? Stacking shelves won't pay off the debt. I know no Cabin crew educated to below GCSE standard and I'd be even more worried if commercial airline pilots were, there's been enough experience already cut out of training...

If you do want to against all odds take the risk though, at a minimum you should be going for some form of aptitude testing, I believe it can be done at the RAF Aircrew assessment center by one of the aviation bodies. They will be able to tell you if you should be investing your life and money into it.

Best of luck

MiggHD
8th Feb 2017, 18:31
I didn't fail all the GCSE's, I passed Maths and English.

planesandthings
8th Feb 2017, 22:02
Ok well that at least makes a consolation, but my point is still the same, I'd suggest gaining some professional advice, minimum requirements for CTC wings are not there to make life a misery, they're there to ensure people are the right calibre to do the course.

You can very well pay your local flying school to do your PPL without even touching selection, but as a flying instructor I'd be inclined to recommend you for an aptitude test if you have sights on commercial. It is for your benefit and whoever will be loaning you the money.

Sorry to have to be so blunt, but this is a realists view. Maybe even a call to the CTC Careers helpline may set things straight.

MiggHD
8th Feb 2017, 22:14
still, I will join CTC takeoff this year, I am not going down the loan route as I already have the funds available

tech log
9th Feb 2017, 00:14
You will not get placed with two GCSEs.

You will struggle to find decent employment at most levels with only two GCSEs.

I'm not sure you appreciate the magnitude of work ATPL groundschool/CPL/MEIR/MCC+JOC/Type Rating/Base training/Line training is. If you can't get past GCSE's, I'm sorry but I really must insist on making sure you realise that you will not be able to handle the learning curve at CTC. People can and do drop out.

You need to be honest with yourself about your lack of success in Year 11 and what caused it.

If it was personal/family issues then fine. Resit all of your exams.

A lack of motivation/attitude? That is not compatible with being a Pilot and you will need to immediately turn that around.

A lack of ability? Sorry but again, the workload dumped on you by CTC is on a different level to anything you would get in the first year of undergraduate studies nevermind GCSEs. The sheer volume of stuff is like drinking from a fire hose and requires total commitment day in day out to keep on top of it.

gbotley
9th Feb 2017, 10:30
The workload dumped on you by CTC is on a different level to anything you would get in the first year of undergraduate studies nevermind GCSEs. The sheer volume of stuff is like drinking from a fire hose and requires total commitment day in day out to keep on top of it

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Being in the process now, it's much more intense than the majority of my undergraduate ever was, let alone GCSEs. In the run up to exams it's safe to say you lose your entire life and I personally stay at CTC until about 11pm each night.

tech log
9th Feb 2017, 11:56
You haven't seen anything yet Botley.

ATPLs are just a basic filter to be honest.

AQC is the real test of endurance.

gbotley
9th Feb 2017, 18:24
I don't doubt you for one second. I've no doubt that every stage is the biggest hurdle ever until you get to the next one.

stupotk
10th Feb 2017, 14:57
Just a quick question...
Do CTC allow students who are booked on a course, but not yet started, to access the ground school so they can get started?

gbotley
10th Feb 2017, 15:14
@stupotk,

Enjoy your spare time whilst you have it mate. You'll get the course materials closer to your start date and gain access to CTC when you eventually start. Not much point reading ahead really when the instruction will guide you through what areas are applicable for you!

stupotk
10th Feb 2017, 15:16
Makes sense! Thanks :)

TrevorPhillips
13th Feb 2017, 13:42
Hi

Does anyone here know did Qatar Airways will re open their programme this year or not ?

Any information given about Qatar Airways in CTC would be much appreciated :ok:

kevinattale
14th Feb 2017, 04:22
Hi everyone, I'm going to face for the CTC cadet pilot interview program next month. I went last time and got knocked out from the 2nd interview. They told me to improve on my group activity and the 1 on 1 interview preparation. I think that they will change the questions for the final interview this time so if anyone can help me with the questions they gonna ask , it will be a huge favor for me.. Thank you.

tech log
17th Feb 2017, 11:40
I think that they will change the questions for the final interview this time so if anyone can help me with the questions they gonna ask , it will be a huge favor for me.. Thank you.

i.e. I can't be bothered to do any research myself so could people on here please collate a list for me.

Google non-technical skills and competency based interview questions. There's your help.

tech log
17th Feb 2017, 11:42
Just a quick question...
Do CTC allow students who are booked on a course, but not yet started, to access the ground school so they can get started?

You'll be sent a link a couple of weeks before starting.

I suggest you sign up to the question bank 'aviation exam' now though and have a quick scan through it. The QB CTC issue is not as good.

Aviationtrader
23rd Feb 2017, 00:28
Hi, been trying to create a thread, possibly not required after posting on here..

I'm looking to start the CTC whitetail program (integrated ATPL) in the upcoming months, I've saved up half the fee for the course and will be borrowing the rest.

I have a couple of questions if someone can help..

1) Is the success rate of CTC as good as they state? I have spoken to several advisors and have specifically asked if the stated 98% of graduates placed within the first 2 months have secured jobs as FIRST OFFICERS, the response was YES.

2) Would I get preference in terms of the airline I want to fly for once I've completed the course. I prefer Monarch due to their routes and FREE TYPE RATING. Which brings me onto another question, would I be better off at OAA for specific airline selection. I will be tight for funds after sparing 100k for the course at CTC. I need to know where my chances for employment would be the highest.

Please note my competency and ability to sit exams is not an issue or the subject in question..

P.S will have more questions in due course, if someone could guide me to setting up a new thread it would be great!

Thanks !