PDA

View Full Version : The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

ppl_student
21st Apr 2007, 12:08
nickbanksy,

Try reading the ctc website and the rest of this thread :ugh: You do not start paying back the loan until you are employed and the airline is making bond payments to you. If you cannot be bothered to do some research (into the finance if nothing else!), or cannot understand how the bond system works, then I have to wonder why you are even applying :rolleyes:

leigh_logan
24th Apr 2007, 13:10
Hi People,

Just a quick message to see if any else is doing stage 2 on the 30th April?

Its my second attempt at the pilapts, so wish me luck..

Cheers :)
hope to hear from someone.....

Lee

pre3mhjt
25th Apr 2007, 10:29
Try here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252747

socloss
27th Apr 2007, 12:56
Good day to you Ugly ducking,

I did my Phase 4 yesterday and Im pleased to say have passed! Am off to NZ on 4th July on CP51. Anyone else on that course?

With regard to your questions, u do Phase 2 in Bournemouth and then if successful you answer the 4 questions before you attend phase 3. It used to be the case that u did them before stage 2 as part of the initial application but that's no longer the case. You also no longer fax them back, just email them which is easier.

socloss

Sore like the eagles
30th Apr 2007, 15:00
hey lee, was on the phase 2 with you, how did it go, i managed to get it second time round got my phase 3 on the 13th june

RS999
30th Apr 2007, 20:52
FAO female wanabee

I would definately urge you to reapply in 6 months.

I didn't pass Stage 2 in October and received an email telling me I could reapply in 6 months. CTC got in touch with me before I could get in touch with them asking me to reapply. I did and resat Stage 2 this morning and passed.

Believe it or not, I found that using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 (£4.99 on fleabay) the easiest way to practise concentrating on many things at once and learning to use the joystick accurately. Might not work for everyone but it worked for me.

Chuffed to bits and I'm hopingto do stage 3 on 4th July (baby on the way in between now and then hence the wait.....):p

GWidgery
30th Apr 2007, 20:53
I'm gaining my A Levels this year, and am planning to apply to the CTC scheme on results day (15th August).

I was wondering if there's anyone else planning to do the same?

leigh_logan
1st May 2007, 10:55
Hi,
same here mate, 2nd time luckly.;) They contacted me via phone saying that they hope to see me on the 15th May- in two weeks time. better get a move on and prep.:\

Do you know of any other websites to go on, apart from ctc's, and pprune?

once again well done:ok:

Regards Lee

socloss
1st May 2007, 11:14
Hi Lee,

Website wise, I would say pay the £50 for the cockpitweb program and then practice as much as you like! It is very good for the deviation tests in particular but not for the flying through boxes as it doesnt work.

socloss

leigh_logan
1st May 2007, 11:54
Sorry, i didnt say, i'm doing stage 3 now, which i'm lead to believe is two group activities and an interview, correct me if i'm wrong.

what sort of things are the group activities are they verbal or physicial?
what is the duration of the interview and is it a panel of people which conduct it?

any good tips that will help are welcome.

i am currently reading the ctc wings home site and then move onto pprune.

Also can someone tell me, i've seen CP42, CP50, CP51 etc........ what does this mean, is it the course number, i.e. CP42 is the 42th cadet pilot group training.

regards Lee;)

Sepi
1st May 2007, 12:37
Hi,

For those after a description of each stage, I found the post below took the edge right off the nerves...at least you know what to expect! :ok: cheers for that Streety!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2942714&postcount=6

CP41,42 etc is exactly what you suspected. Each intake of new cadets(monthly at the minute) has a CP number.

leigh_logan
1st May 2007, 12:56
Hi,

i've been looking at ctc'c website, i know there is a bond of £60k and
12k nzd = about £4.5k for the basic training, also living expenses which is about £?, i'll estimate £12k, giving at total of about £76.5k:\ . Is this right?????

How are the flights paid for to NZ and Back, is this more money again? Do we have to pay for reading material, uniform etc....

i know that a high street bank fund the £60k via a unsecured loan, but what about the remaining £XX and other hiden charges!!

can someone help??????? :ugh:

Cheers Lee

MajorYaw
1st May 2007, 14:50
Here's my feedback from just having completed the dealings with the bank, and now looking at insurance.

Oddly, money is the topic no one seems to talk about when it comes to CTC. Why, I don't know. For sure, none of this is top secret, but you don't find out the detail until you're through selection, so I see no reason to not share this info here. It may affect an applicant’s decision or perhaps spur people into seeking alternate sources of funding/insurance or whatever. However, every CTC person I've been in touch with has taken advantage of the financing from HSBC, and I struggle to think where one might stumble across other unsecured £60K+ loans with a 2 year deferral period unless one is lucky enough to have something silver jammed up one's arse.

There are a few elements to the finance:

1) £60k Loan
2) Living Expenses
3) Foundation Course Fees
4) Accounts
5) Arrangement Fees
6) Liability
6) Insurance
7) Credit Score

60K Loan
HSBC will provide a £60k Professional Studies loan to you at a rate of about 2.75% above (their) base rate, so the interest rate is currently ~8.5%. This is a variable rate, so in the current climate this is likely (IMO) to rise. Sure, rate rises are the saver's friend but they'll light a fire under my arse from this point forward.

The £60k is drawn down on a monthly schedule, passing from the bank direct to CTC. You don't get your mitts on that money, so forget sticking it in some investment vehicle to offset the interest. Interest is accrued on the money from draw down date, so you are not accruing interest on the full amount from day 1. CTC/HSBC give you a monthly draw down schedule so you know when the payments go out.

The repayment term of the loan is 7 years. That period commences when you start fulltime with an airline i.e. deferred for two years. You must contact HSBC to inform them of your employment situation then you start repaying. At today's rates, repayments would be 84 payments of £1030 per month, giving a grand total of ~£84,000. Taking the loan now, with 2 years of deferred repayments, and the money being drawn down directly to CTC in monthly instalments (Deposit £5400 then £4200/month thereafter), results in 7 years of repayments at £1030, assuming a constant rate of interest.

Overpayment is possible. There appears to be a tricky way that they handle repayments, bulking them up and applying them quarterly while they calculate interest daily. If I understood that correctly, this means no payments in a given quarter take effect until, say, the end of the quarter. This means you pay more interest on the loan in that quarter than you would have if your payments were credited to the loan the day you made them. I could be wrong, but the HSBC staff member gave me a very muddy explanation of this. I am seeking clarification on it.

Living Expenses
In addition, you can borrow a further £10k living expenses, and $12,000NZD for the foundation course (which has just gone up to $13,000NZD), both of which are subject to the same rate of interest. Borrowing £10k over 7 years at that rate will cost you ~£4.5k in interest. The living expenses can be paid to you on a regular basis e.g. £400 per month, or on demand. If you never demand, you never pay back. The rates of interest and the repayment period are the same as the £60k.

Foundation Course Fees
I assume the foundation loan is the same as the main loan, but check with HSBC.

Accounts
You must set up two accounts with HSBC: the loan account and a current account. This is a graduate account product that is either free, but charges you for foreign transactions, or £9.99 a month with no such charges. I have yet to see the T&C's for operation of the current account in relation to your total liability to HSBC so whether you must use this account, and what constitutes "use" is unclear at this time. HSBC's application process also provides a Maestro card and a Mastercard with a small limit ~£500.

Arrangement Fees
There are £100 arrangement fees for both the living expenses and the main loan. I assume one would apply to the foundation course fees too, not sure.

Liability
All the monies are your liability, no one else's, except within the first £30k that CTC will accept liability for should you not be up to scratch. Apparently this is £30k of expended training although how on earth that's calculated is beyond me and whether any of the foundation counts towards it isn't clear either (considering we're paying for that stage ourselves, I don't see why it should). I have yet to receive my training agreement and so have not seen any contractual agreement relating to CTC's willingness to take liability for the first £30k.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, if you look at EZY's pay scales, CTC cadets are paid exactly £12k lower than direct entry FO's. This means that the airline is not really paying off your loan. You are. Probably a benefit of doing it this way is that you don't pay tax on the £1000 repayment that comes from EZY, but I am not sure. Understand that I am not bitching about this arrangement, just highlighting something coincidental. At the end of the day, I'm not knocking the setup, I'm grateful for the opportunity!

Insurance
You will then also need to insure yourself against certain risks to ensure that the monies are covered in the event of death, loss of medical etc. The broker that CTC put us in touch with gave multiple policies that together total about £1200 for people up to the age of 29. This also includes personal accident, personal possessions while in NZ etc. However, they have not sent the full policy wording so it's difficult to understand exactly what you're being offered and, more importantly, all the exclusions to the cover. I am waiting to be sent fulll wording before I make a decision. Alternatives are available from other sources, including BALPA, so get in touch with them and shop around is my advice. You cannot borrow funds from HSBC to cover insurance expenses, for obvious reasons.

The bank financing is locally administered by HSBC Hythe, down the road from CTC Dibden Manor. You must attend Hythe branch to go through the finances. HSBC didn't attempt to offer insurance products, although I did ask. I suspect that they don't want to underwrite their own risk (if they really underwrite the risks entirely themselves), but that's speculation on my part, and/or aren’t so competitive for our risks and/or don’t cover our risks.

If you can find a better financing option than the above, please share it as I'm sure it's of great interest to many of the readers of this thread.

Credit Score
Critical information, for those that are blissfully unaware, is CREDIT SCORING! You should and must know what your credit reference files are like. If you have any defaults, dodgy associations or whatever on your file, you are much less likely to be granted the finance from HSBC. If you know nothing about credit scoring, get genned up. Then get copies of your credit reports from Experian and Equifax, and fix any problems or errors that may exist before you go to the bank. Wiser still, have it sorted before you get too far through selection, as it is just a pain in the neck to have it interfere with your start date.

Something else - not sure whether it's possible to offset any of one's liabilities for tax purposes. Sounds like a job for SuperAccountant!

PAJ
1st May 2007, 14:52
You're pretty much on the money (no pun intended) with the costs - perhaps slightly over compensating for living costs. I'm budgeting between 8-10k for food, petrol and all that jazz (remember you have to cover license issue, insurance and medical renewal yourself so you must account for this).
HSBC give you 60k for the bond and wil loan you up to another 15k for the foundation course (now 13k NZ$) and 5k towards living costs per year. All this is unsecured so you do not need property to secure it on. Uniform, flight gear, reference material flights, accomodation all paid for you. Hope that helps

Just read MajorYaws thread - spot on! As for the tax breaks, as I understand it, (and dependent on the sponsoring airline I believe) you will likely just get one payment a month which already takes into accound the £1030 repayment they are giving you per month, and this is tax exempt - you therefore get a tax refund on the net amount in light of this in every pay check - if I am wrong, do correct me but this is how I understand things.

MajorYaw
1st May 2007, 15:05
What I mean about tax offset is not just about the payment from the airline. I am wondering whether there's a legit way to reduce your overall tax liability in light of the total debt undertaken. I am curious enough to talk to an accountant about it, so watch this space, but I suspect it may be complex and involve setting oneself up as a business, but I am just shooting from the hip here.

If any smart cookies out there know about this and can provide input, please feel free.

bjkeates
1st May 2007, 17:24
Excellent and concise post by MajorYaw. There's just one thing I'd correct:

You must attend Hythe branch to go through the finances.

When I sorted out my finance for the course, I dealt with most of it on the phone and the forms were forwarded to my local HSBC branch for signing. I'm fairly sure they can still do this - just ask when you speak to them on the phone.

Don't, however, go to your local branch and try and sort out the Professional Studies Loan through them - they won't have heard about the arrangement and will more than likely laugh in your face when you ask for £60k unsecured (pretty much double the normal unsecured limit.)

MikeAlphaTangoTango
1st May 2007, 17:53
MajorYaw - pretty much spot on. Only two things to add - I've just taken out the insurance with PJIS (CTC's recommended supplier) at a cost of about £965 - not sure where £1200 comes from? Also, re credit scoring etc, be well aware that £60k + of unsecured debt is not going to make you attractive to other lenders in the medium term.

MajorYaw
1st May 2007, 18:36
HSBC made me drive down from up north to spend 90 mins in the branch. They couldn't print anything out so sent the final papers to a local branch near me. Not the most exciting day I ever had. They justified me having to make the trip by... err, I can't remember. I felt there was some attempt to size me up in 5 questions about my desire to be a pilot, and my brackground to date. Lucky I didn't tell them about those 5 months at the middle eastern Butlins... :) Just kidding. Seriously, the trip to the bank was a waste of time to me, I didn't even sign anything. If you can do it remotely, do.

My mistake about the total insurance sum. Lucky I didn't do that in Stage 4:

"What's 12x21?"
"About £1200?"
"Get out"

Here's PJIS's numbers:

Term Life Assurance per annum £110.98
Training Bond (Loss of Medical Status) until type rating is achieved or a
maximum of 24 months £367.50
New Zealand - Personal Accident, Medical Expenses and Repatriation £377.89
New Zealand - Personal Possessions and Money to £3000
£110.00 (+ £30.00 to add Personal Liability)
Personal Possessions and Money to £4000
£140.00 (+ £30.00 to add Personal Liability)

I've now seen most of the T&C's behind the policies, and I've reservations about either the Training Bond Cover or the Term Life Assurance. In what I read, the amount payable was only £50K for some scenarios.

Be aware that personal accident and life cover have exclusions from winter sports and "extreme" things. Time to get skydiving cover from somewhere else :(

MATT - what does your documentation say re your level of cover on these two?

BALPA can provide, through BFS, financial services and insurance including training fees for loss of medical. It looked like a better policy to me, and can convert once you've passed training. The amount of info BALPA sent me on this was far more in depth and helpful than PJIS, IMO.

Was reading a tax thread elsewhere on PPRUNE. Looks like that may be a big no go for CTC Cadets, if not all wannabe pilots.

On the mortgage front, the £60k is gonna have a big impact on you getting one from most major lenders. HSBC say they can still help out as they know the crack, so welcome to being a bitch to the world's local bank for oooohhhh, seven years. Oh well, all my sector pay's going into the repayment black hole when it comes, and I'll be living in a tent on the apron! :)

MajorYaw
1st May 2007, 18:45
Do any experienced CTC-ers know how this £30k liability on CTC's side actually works? I asked the question and got a vague answer back from them.

MikeAlphaTangoTango
2nd May 2007, 07:00
MY

Re CTC's £30k liability, the exact scope is given in the contract you'll receive. When I asked CTC the question of how many people fail to make it through training I was told it's of the order of 1 per year.

I had a brief look at BALPA's website about their insurances, but couldn't dredge up very much. Kinda wishing I'd looked harder if what you say is true. On the flip side, PJIS seem to work hand in hand with CTC like HSBC do, so in that sense it's one more hassle removed as they all know the system and communicate with each other regularly. For the winter sports bit, I was told a one off £50 premium covers it.

MajorYaw
2nd May 2007, 08:29
Cheers MATT. Have you joined BALPA as an associate member? It's free for trainees, you just need to fill out their form and include a copy of your APL letter confirming you passed selection, and a copy of you class 1 med. Worth it just for the access to their advice etc.

leigh_logan
2nd May 2007, 11:45
All been very helpful on this topic, thank you all.

One thing, when i was flicking through the trend i came across people talking about the costs of flights from Nz to the UK, does this mean we have to pay for the flights?

Thanks again for your help guys

Lee

Sepi
2nd May 2007, 11:51
Lee,

Flights to NZ and back are paid for by CTC if they relate to course requirements. Therefore they send you out there and bring you back to attend the course in NZ or want you in the UK for exams. If you want to go back home during christmas etc, you pay...makes sense

Stefan

bjkeates
2nd May 2007, 11:59
You get two return trips to NZ paid for by CTC as part of the course - out to NZ, back to the UK for the first bit of leave and your first bunch of ATPL exams, then out to NZ again and back after the end of the NZ multi-engine phase.

There is the possibility to get back over the Christmas break if you so wish, but that does come out of your own pocket and it is expensive at that time of year - and the break isn't really that long. Some (like me) thought it was well worth it, others take the opportunity to explore NZ while the weather is good or just hang around Clearways and enjoy the sunny Christmas atmosphere! You don't get any other holiday as part of the course other than the specified leave periods back in the UK (i.e. there are no weeks off as part of the course when in NZ.) If exceptional circumstances do arise you can request leave, but you must be able to justify it and it mustn't have an adverse impact on your training - don't automatically assume you'll be permitted to have time off.

Wing_Bound_Vortex
2nd May 2007, 17:58
Here's how it works with Easy,

Say in an average month you net in your pay cheque £3000 after tax, £1000 of that will consist of the bond repayment to you, or rather to the bank. You haven't paid tax on that £1000, only on the £2600 ( ish ) gross you earned, so there's the benefit to you.

So as soon as the £3000 enters your account on pay day approximately £1030 will come back out again to pay off the bond at current interest rates, this is based on an amount of £65,000 pounds initial loan. That extra 30 ish pounds comes out of your taxed pay, on top of the fixed tax free £1000.
So from £3000 entering your account on pay day it drops to £1970 immediately.

Hope that helps, and ps yes, join BALPA!

WBV

MikeAlphaTangoTango
3rd May 2007, 08:06
MY / WBV

Not joined BALPA yet but def on the list of things to do before I fly out. I can't see that there's much of an argument not to is there? :confused:

leigh_logan
3rd May 2007, 17:20
I know i should not post this on this trend but, the other trend has no reply

Hello,

I passed my stage 2 on 30th may;) , and doing my stage 3 on the 15th may, is there anyone else doing stage 3 on this date?

Hope to hear from someone,:ok:

Regards Lee

socloss
4th May 2007, 08:56
I thought I would just share some good news that I found out that would probably be applicable to a number of CTC cadets heading out to NZ:

We can claim our income tax back for this year assuming you havnt earnt over your personal limit of around £5,400 since 6th April this year.:D

Not sure though if we can claim it back straight away or if you have to wait until 5th April next year?:rolleyes:

socloss

PAJ
6th May 2007, 02:51
chief training captain - started out as an organisation designed to train up training captains, moving into further training and consultancy work.

Sepi
6th May 2007, 11:16
Wasn't it Cheaply Trained Captains? Feeding Easyjet with cheap pilots?? Or was that just a phase 2 joke?

pre3mhjt
8th May 2007, 10:46
I'm sure LW once told us it was Crew Training Chiefs, but after various management changes is now meaningless. Plenty of other possibilities though.....

leigh_logan
8th May 2007, 13:25
Hi,

I'm preping for my interview, and looking at the airline partners. the CTC website only lists 7 (Easyjet, jet2.com, thomson fly, monarch, my travel, thomas cook and first choice) i've seen been told there are 8, is the 8th one BA????

Regards Lee

socloss
8th May 2007, 16:07
Hi Lee,

Yes the 8th one is BA though it always is a questionnable one but Ive no idea why! I said it was a partner airline at interview and they didnt say it wasnt. Think I read in the literature that it is a parner airline, though they still do their own recruitment strategy, ie a full blooded interview/selection process.

socloss

Sepi
8th May 2007, 16:30
Hi Socloss, Lee,

I asked that in the interview and they said something like BA have a policy of only accepting cadets from integrated courses, so while CTC wasn't officially offering integrated courses they couldn't be official partners even though unofficially CTC ran a mock-integrated course approved by BA. Now I believe CTC is offering integrated and so BA is happy to officially be a partner.

Useful to have these kind of questions for the interview :ok:

stefan

CSutton
9th May 2007, 12:19
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone know of any suitable practice questions available for viewing online in connection with my CTC Phase 2 Assessment Day on the 1st June? (Is anyone else going on this day at 13.00?) I've loacted the company NATS use which provides practice questions. Is this similar, or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

MajorYaw
9th May 2007, 14:24
CSutton - which questions are you talking about? The maths questions? Or the four brief essay questions?

If it's the maths questions, if you can handle GCSE arithmetic and get some numeracy test books for practice questions you will be fine. Have a look at Bill Handley's Speed Mathematics book if you have enough time. It's pretty good.

IIRC you get time at home to fill out then fax back the essay style questions. They are competency style questions and are very straightforward.

Stage 2 on the day is just maths and PILAPT.

May the 9th be with you.

Hmmm, that doesn't quite have the same ring, does it? :)

bri1980
10th May 2007, 20:18
Hi folks,

My first CTC-based post, and I aplogise if my question has been asked, or answered, before (did a search but couldn't find it).

I have the Cockpitweb Pilot Aptitude and numerapt software. I am enjoying the challenge of brushing up on my arithmetic after such a long time!

Does anyone know if the Cockpitweb software is a reasonable approximaion to Pilapt: the vendors say it is but they are bound to. Some of the tests are very similar to Micropat which I did a number of years ago, but are they relevant to CTC?

Also, would any successful CTC cadets be prepared to reveal some of their Pilapt scores: I'm thinking particularly of deviation indicator and frames?

Many thanks folks

BAC

Potential
10th May 2007, 22:21
From what I've heard (I've not done the CTC tests yet) the one you really need to watch out for is the final test. If I remember what I was told correctly, then it is deviation indicator, listening for changes in a number sequence and watching out for certain coloured shapes with numbers all at the same time!! It certainly would be interesting if any successful candidates would be willing to share their scores though.

bri1980
10th May 2007, 22:32
Cockpitweb's software has the shapes and numbers on it-but not combined with the deviation indicator.

Its a test of capacity reduction whilst multi-tasking, and you'd be suprised how tricky this is when you actually try it. If you learn all the possible number sequences by heart this makes it all so much easier.

For e.g. if the difference between the numbers is 5, then the last digits in the countdown will have to be 9-4 or 8-3 or 7-2 or 6-1 or 5-0. These are the only possibilities. Similar sequences exist for differences of 2,3,4 etc. and there are not too many to learn them all!

PAJ
11th May 2007, 03:17
The last test is without a doubt a toughie!! best thing to do is break it down - its a capacity test in itself to be able to prioritise multiple tasks at once whilst still being able to actually do them. The best advice I can give is focus on the deviation indicator first. Keep this as centralised as possible at all times. Then bring the number sequencing in - memorising the sequencing might help but anyone who has the mental artithmetic standard CTC are looking for can count down through the sequencing. Work out what the next number should be before the computer tells you so you can match it. it's only when the number changes when you have to divert your attention completely to make sure you have the correct new numeric interval. This is where prioritisation comes in - you can always find the centre on the deviation indicator again, and you can just take the next shape as it comes, but once you lose the sequence once, that pretty much it - lose it early and you're outta there!!

The shapes are a peripheral vision thing - listen to what the computer tells you and first compare colours - you brain processes colours easier than shapes. If the colours match, then divert your attention to see whether the shapes match - if so, find the number and enter it!

There's no point anyone saying this is easy - FTE do PILAPT but do not include this test as far as I know because it goes beyond the standards they look for. I was fortunate to do well in this one (properly cocked up the hands though - only got 4 on that!!!) as my feedback said I stayed in the upper band for all parts of the exercise. Can't remember exactly but I think I got 10 hits and 4 misses. Don't hold me to that tho! Good luck those who have it though - its absolutely amazing over here and worth the struggle!

bri1980
11th May 2007, 06:05
Thanks for that PAJ!

This is a useful insight. I was aware of the multiple capacity test: sounds like fun!:rolleyes:

greywind
11th May 2007, 08:38
The cockpitweb software misses a few tests out that CTC use, such as the colour shape grid, shape within shapes task and as stated the final deviation/shapes/number test.

Also i find the flying through squares on cockpitweb really isn't very good, also when doing pilapt I found the joystick was a lot more sensitive than I first expected it to be and ended up flying everywhere at first.

However the software as far as I know is still the best practice tool you can get for the aptitude test.

RC203
12th May 2007, 11:37
Hi PAJ,

I just recently got through the selection process, down to come out there in early september on CP53. When do you get your feedback on the selection process? I'm quite interested to see how i did!

Rob

THRILLSEEKER
12th May 2007, 20:11
I dont know how but I only had 1 miss on the final test!!!

To this day it still amazes me, I must have been that up for it my mind went into super focus mode :p

PAJ
13th May 2007, 05:26
Congrats RC203! You can now consider yourself one of the very elite few!!! Feedback does take a while - I went out on CP49 on very short notice - flew out 19 days after my stage 4 so I was acble to chase up my feedback. Think I got mine about 10 days later. It can take longer though - Mary Brown is the lady who does all this so if you havent recieved anything in a couple of weeks time, try calling her. It's really useful, but there are a few things that you may disagree with quite strongly. Either way, you're in so take heed and just start looking forward to it!

BitMoreRightRudder
13th May 2007, 09:04
"You can now consider yourself one of the very elite few!!!"

That's tongue in cheek, right?

PAJ
13th May 2007, 09:11
Mate, you read the exclaimation marks how you want!!

BitMoreRightRudder
13th May 2007, 09:14
Don't believe everything CTC tell you!

Enjoy NZed. ;)

PPL152
13th May 2007, 09:24
Don't believe everything CTC tell you!

Why is that? What's so hidden?

adc3891
14th May 2007, 18:25
Just after a touch of advice.
I've got my Stage 3 coming up and I'm currently writing my responses to the 4 pre-Stage 3 questions.
As someone who has a reputation of being able to write pages about nothing in particular, I was wondering how much most people have written.
I don't want to write too much, seem like a waffler and leave myself going over what the assessors have already read when it comes to the interview.
At the same time I don't want to only write 4/5 lines and appear that I haven't taken much care and attention.
So how much to people recommend? A whole essay or keep it 'short n' sweet'?
Any replies much appreciated.
P.S. See what I mean about being able to write loads about nothing in particular?! This post couldv'e been summed up in just 1 line!

MikeAlphaTangoTango
14th May 2007, 20:16
When I did my written part, the forms I downloaded to fill in gave about 1/2 a side of A4 per question. Depends how big your writing is as to how much you can fit in! Don't go on forever - I think they want to see that you can be concise. Good luck!

bri1980
14th May 2007, 21:47
Not specifically related to CTC, but this is what I was taught on our management communications course at work.

1. Try to write down about 5 bullet points in response to the question.

2. Decide what you want to say and say it. Make the answer make sense (rather than just a list of points) by connecting the points in a natural way, re-ordering them if need be.

3. Sum up in one sentence at the end that highlights your main point and relates it back to the question so that the reader gets the main points you are making subtly reiterated.

Hope this helps

adc3891
15th May 2007, 07:56
Thanks for the advice guys, I want to make sure I'm left with 'new' things to tell them in the interview so will do as you suggest.

SA242
15th May 2007, 09:39
''You can now consider yourself one of the very elite few!!! ''

LOL - i hope this was a joke.....

concordski
15th May 2007, 18:34
ah the famous last words of keen NZ-bound newbies...

"...am writing this on the flight to singapore, am loving connexion by boeing..."

"...one of the very elite few..."

excitement takes a distant backseat when the hard work starts.

PAJ
15th May 2007, 20:00
Blimey perhaps I should have just kept bloody quiet!! Bottom line is CTC is a damn sight harder to get into than any of the others (I know - I got a place at the others) and a fantastic training organisation. I'm really proud I got in here and I know loads of guys out here and back in the UK who feel the same! I know I'm just an inexperienced newbie but I love the getting up at 5:30 for lectures, enjoy the fact that I don't know what each day is going to offer. After working where I was before CTC, there is absolutely no comparison!!! By all means have your say tho guys and girls, that why we post here - just wanted to add a bit of balance as I know some people want to know that its not a bad deal all in! People tend to bash things much easier than compliment them. (Tho our car is making funny noises at the moment!!)

equinox_code
16th May 2007, 13:53
hi there. i have my phase 2 on friday and am really keen to do well. i'd been told by someone i know that the maths would be basic multiplication. i've since found out they are wrong. i have only 2 days to revise for the numeracy test. can anyone recommend particular topics to look at as i don't have time to revise the whole gcse syllabus. i wouldn't have thought they'd include questions on quadratics and simultaneous equasions anyway, but i might be wrong

greywind
16th May 2007, 14:08
Maybe brush up on general use of equations, then I would advise making sure you are familiar with long multiplication and division (e.g big numbers 95x63, 1024/50 etc) and also multiplication and division with decimal numbers.

It isn't too hard if you have a good standard of maths already and you get a pen and paper so don't have to work everything out mentally.

equinox_code
16th May 2007, 15:16
cheers. long multiplication and division are just about the only thing i know right now. i'm fine with the common sense aspects of maths too.

anyone know where i can find a map for directions?

if you get to stage 3, do you book it, or do they tell you when you're coming?

do i actually have a chance of getting on this course with no experience whatsoever, very little knowledge of the aviation industry, and no way of getting a secured loan? it just seems a bit too good to be true. i've always wanted to be a pilot, but never persued anything to do with the industry as i didn't think there were any courses for people from poorer backrounds such as myself

are there any other courses that can secure funding for you?

sorry bout all the questions

MajorYaw
16th May 2007, 16:09
The answers to all your questions are already available in this thread, in the old CTC thread and in other FTO threads.

For other schools, check out OAT, FTE, Cabair etc. There's plenty of places willing to take your hard earned, and a variety of funding options. Rest assured, CTC is not your only option if you are switched on and determined, as reading around on here will demonstrate.

CTC will take people with little or no prior experience provided that they demonstrate the qualities, motivation and the knowledge/prep they are looking for. They are quite open about what they want, there's no tricks involved in selection.

Turning up and saying "I don't know much about this lark, but I wanted to do it as a kid" is not going to get you very far in an hour long interview, so if you feel you are not ready, perhaps delay and spend however long it takes to become ready. The way it worked for me recently was that they get you to try and agree a phase 3 date at the end of the phase 2 tests (you find out the results before you leave phase 2), and they were as short as a week and as long as 3 weeks away.

With regard to the maths (this may sound cocky but it's my honest opinion - flame me all you want) it was comparable to GCSE standard. Applying sound exam technique helps as well.

equinox_code
16th May 2007, 16:25
hmmm. i've phoned around, and emailed loads of places, in fact, i only finished speaking to a guy at oat about an hour ago. he seemed certain that without being in a position to secure funding against a home, that i would be unable to get a loan from hsbc for over 25,000. that's what has led me to believe that ctc is my only option

Potential
16th May 2007, 19:41
To my knowledge, CTC is the only European FTO where you can get an unsecured loan to pay for your training.

equinox_code
16th May 2007, 23:28
is there anyway i can get hold of a map or some better directions?

RS999
17th May 2007, 09:37
Hi Equinox Code. Heres some directions to the CTC Crew Training Centre at Bournemouth travelling from the A31. (The A31 is to the north of Bournemouth and can be joined from the east from the M27 near Southampton, from the north via the A338 at Salisbury or from the west via the A35 at Dorchester).

Leave the A31 at the Ashley Heath roundabout and take the exit for the A338. Follow the A338 until the exit signposted for Bournemouth Airport.

At the junction turn right (onto Christchurch Road) and continue to a roundabout. Take the second exit then after about 100m turn left into Matchams Lane. Proceed up the lane and turn left into Eastern Business Park (this doesn't look at all like you're going into a business park by the way).

Follow the lane over a single track bridge and three speed bumps until you are facing the FR Aviation security barrier. (There are signs along this lane for CTC). Turn right just before the barrier until you come to a second barrier (approx 100m) with a keypad on your right hand side. Press the button marked 'CTC' and announce yourself. Drive in an CTC is in front of you on the left.

Use this link to see a location map.....

http://www.ctcaviation.com/0203.html

Hope this helps and good luck with Stage 2.

MajorYaw
17th May 2007, 13:20
My apologies. If it comes down to the full £60K unsecured, what you say is probably right. I know someone going to FTE and thought he had a similar situation but having checked, it appears he's financing it differently.

In which case, if CTC is your best case scenario, be sure to give it your best shot and be as ready as possible. Best of luck with selection.

PS Enjoy the process. It is actually very good fun.

dannyv
17th May 2007, 17:51
Hi there equinox_code

I am also going to the phase 2 assesment on the 18th, hope to see you there. I found the following site http://www.thatquiz.com/tq/practice.html?fraction very helpful for brushing up on some maths questions on fractions, long devision etc. If you need to revise techniques http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/ is really helpful and explain quite well the methods you need to use (been 5 years since did A level maths, come back to earth with a bump :bored:)

equinox_code
18th May 2007, 00:00
thanks a lot for all the help, people. been revising the maths as much as possible, i can't believe how much i've forgotten! long division seems to have got harder too. to be honest, i'm not that confident about my chances, the maths will probably let me down. right now, my knowledge is barely at foundation level gcse. i used to be so good!
from what i hear, you onoly get one chance at this program, and as it's the only one that odesn't require a secured loan, i'll be completely gutted if i don't get on.

thanks again to all who replied

Potential
18th May 2007, 13:27
Equinox code,
Given that you feel that you are not up to standard on Maths, why don't you put your CTC application on hold for a while? You can always continue with it when you feel you are ready. I applied to CTC in November last year and my application is currently on hold until April 2008.

flightless_bird
18th May 2007, 16:48
I read this thread in its entirety and I found some of the stuff on here really useful for preparing for all the assessment so I thought I would give a little something back.

I recently did phase 4 and here are some tips to add to the good advice already written here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2769376&postcount=1080

Find out more about the main instruments in a light aircraft:
- attitude indicator (AI) or articial horizon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attitude_indicator)
- vertical speed indicator (VSI) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variometer)
- altimeter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altimeter)
- airspeed indicator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed_indicator)
- direction indicator (DI) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heading_indicator)

You don't need to know the physics behind how they work, just what they are called and how to read them. Also make sure you know are familiar with a compass rose, what 090 and 355 means for example and which way you would turn to go from one heading to the other.

And do remember to say "standby" if your flying turns to crap when you asked mental arithmetic questions. I read this in the thread but still forgot to do it and it's amazing how your flying deteriorates.

And just as an aside, you may not be in a Raytheon (formerly Beechcraft) King Air. If you have your phase 4 at Nursling then there as far as I know there are only Boeing and Airbus sims there so you will be in a B737-300.

Best of luck all.

equinox_code
18th May 2007, 19:08
i probably should have put it on hold. though i have no regrets. i blazed the aptitude. only got 1 miss on the last test. was worried for a while that i'd screwed up the shapes test, but either way, i got onto phase 3. i have to redo the maths, which is a worry. i found that a lot harder than i thought it'd be. i'd swear sometimes all of the multiple choice answers were wrong.
anyway, i'm gonna work like mad for this next phase. i've got two weeks to practice my maths and prepare for the interview. maybe it's being overconfident, but i don't see why i shouldn't get through this if i put in the work and research. the only thing i can imagine letting me down is if i still struggle with the maths, and if the pressure affects my nerves too much

equinox_code
21st May 2007, 13:58
hi again people,
my phase 3 is in 2 weeks. i've no flying experience, though i want to have a flying lesson before then as i think it will aid me to answer the interview questions more confindently. Is there any particular sort of aircraft i should be looking out for? there is somewhere very local to me that does microlight, should i go for that or would it be more worth while if i were to travel a little further afield and spend a little more money on flying a cessna152? i'm on limited funds so can only afford one lesson

PPL152
21st May 2007, 14:36
Don't get me wrong - but I have this feeling that you are somewhat rushing.

Why don't you contact CTC and tell them you would like some more time to get prepared for Phase 3?

I applied in November and have Phase 2 on hold and I am thinking to further put it on hold until I finish my degree.

As for choosing between Microlight or Cessna 152, a Cessna is more close to an "aeroplane" and is more fun in my opinion rather than a Microlight.

equinox_code
21st May 2007, 14:52
how long do you think i should put it on hold for? i'm unemployed at the moment, so all of my time is going into preparing for this phase 3. i don't want to be troublesome. i've already hassled them via email because of problems with my application. i don't want to seem like a problem case

PPL152
21st May 2007, 15:11
If you are polite and use manners, and explain to them that you sort of want to really succeed by giving yourself time to prepare well, then I do not think they will ever see you as a "problem case".

If you are going to put the application on hold, then you can probably arrange with them so that when you are fully ready, you can contact them to book another date for Phase 3.

Always ask politely though, and try to show them that the main reasons for doing so is that you want to get on this scheme, no matter what.

NB: In my opinion, giving yourself time will also enable you to be more calm during the interview - which is also very important I guess.

lewni
22nd May 2007, 08:15
It is probably worth doing a lesson before you go to phase 3. I did my phase 3 last week and I failed. I have only had one introductory lesson a couple of years ago and they asked me why I had not pursued my flying career more as I am now 24 with only 1 hours experience. I think you need to come up with a very good answer to this as it stumped me a bit.

Other questions which they asked me regarding the industry are:
What is the maximum number of hours an airline pilot can fly each year?
Can you tell me about 3 recent news stories within the industry? - Do some reading on this i.e. Flight International.
Also learn the typical duties of a pilot, what they do before take off etc.

equinox_code
22nd May 2007, 09:32
without wanting to sound like i'm getting people to answer questions for me, when asked why you haven't done much to persue your career as a pilot, does a good answer exist. it's the one potential question that i'm struggling to find a decent answer for

socloss
22nd May 2007, 09:42
My advice to you equinox_code is to predict the questions they will ask you and as lewni said, read up on the industry etc. I only have 1 hour under my belt (trial flight in January this year on a C152) but said that I wanted to do more but that finance was the single reason I couldnt - they should have no problem with this as everyone has different outgoings and financial obligations, the key thing is that you emphasise how much you want it and that you prove to them you know it is what you want to do. For example, have you attended the Flyer Shows at Heathrow, or Farnborough Air Show or spoken to exisiting pilots and created more contacts for yourself, they like that.:8 Speaking to existing pilots will give you an excellent insight into a typical day and will prepare you for many Qs you will be asked.

Anyway it can be done with little or no experience, do your research, read Flight International and as long as flying really is what you want to do then this should automatically come across to them in your interview.

It worked for me as I am off to NZ very soon so it will work for you if you really want it to.

Best of luck:ok:

socloss

MajorYaw
22nd May 2007, 10:29
I don't want to sound like a twerp but I'd hasten to add that what you tell them must be your "truth" not someone else's. There's a lot that they can ask you within an hour, and no one on here will have had the full gamut of questions.

If you are lying or stretching the truth too far, they will be able to tell. As with all interviews, it's very ease to make a candidate sweat and then see what really lies beneath.

If this is the one shot you have at the one thing you really, really want then delay your application, make the contacts, get the information, get the experience and then you will have no problem truthfully demonstrating what you've done and what you know.

Recounting information from sources such as this, which CTC are well aware of, could blow up in your face.

One final thing: have you ever been in an assessment centre environment? Have you successfully completed teamwork assessments and do you know what's expected? This is just as important as good interview performance because if you're a guy no one wants to sit next to then you won't be getting your hands on a 737 sim.

equinox_code
22nd May 2007, 11:15
i'll certainly tell the truth. there'd be nothing worse than being caught out. i'm just trying to think of the best way of saying "i've only 1 lessons worth of experience and i've done nothing else to persue this career" in a good way. i'm having real trouble with this one. like someone else mentioned earlier, i think i may put it on hold whilst i try and find an aviation show or something of similar ilke to attend. a friend of the family flies for BA. i'm going to phone him at the weekend and quiz him for a while. do you think they'd be bothered if virtually the only thing i'd done to persue a career in aviation was thoroughly prepare for the ctc selection process?

i haven't ever been in any teamwork assessments, though it is something i've been looking into. from what i gather, it's important to share my opinions without dominating conversation and make other people feel included. aside from this i don';t know all that much about what's expected.

can i put my phase 3 on hold, or do i have to specify a new date when doing this?

newbie008
22nd May 2007, 11:31
no offence mate you sound young! Use some common sense, there very helpful, just ring them up explain you want to put your application on hold and I'm sure daphne will say 'when would you like to do stage 3. You answer with a date or rough estimate and hey presto stage 3 changed!! Not that hard to do

BitMoreRightRudder
22nd May 2007, 12:00
You need to look at it from CTC's point of view. One of the biggest concerns they have with any potential cadet is your motivation. New Zealand is a long way from home, the course is not easy and you will have non of your regular surroundings or friends/family around you when the going gets tough. So they want to see you demonstrate that you 100% want to do this career, as that is what will keep you going during the periods of the training that are tough and during the times you may doubt yourself - it happens to most guys on the course (whether they would admit it or not) and it's the fact that you are working towards your dream that keeps you going.

Don't get me wrong - if you love flying, want to be a pilot more than anything and have the right attitude towards the whole thing you will have a blast in a great country surrounded by like-minded people and you will come out of it with loads of good friends and the job you always wanted. But there were guys who quit while I was in NZ and it was because they were struggling with the course and it turned out they weren't that mad about being a pilot after all. That is what they will want to know from you - are you going to grit your teeth and deal with the low points or will you throw in the towell and cost them money in the process?

Look at it from their perspective and go into the interview knowing they want you to succeed and go to NZ, but only if they have no doubt you have the desire and motivation to last the course. Unless you feel ready and in a position to demonstrate this to them, delay your stage 3 for as long as it takes you to feel ready.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll do fine :ok:

Bambe
23rd May 2007, 04:00
Nice post man, simply nice!

dannyv
23rd May 2007, 10:35
Well, I didnt get through stage 3. I'm not considered to re-apply either. Very gutted. Think I was nervous throughout the itnerview and didnt come across as i wanted to. End of the day it wont stop me becoming a pilot. I would have not better satisfaction then to come back in the ATP scheme and show them what they had missed out on. My advice to anyone taking stage 3 is to brush up on knowledge of their aviation partners and the planes they use etc. Wondering how everyone else yesterday got on?

adc3891
23rd May 2007, 11:00
Sorry to hear that Danny. I'm figuring out from your username that it was you who was last to be interviewed...I didn't envy you having to wait around for that long but I guess there wasn't a great deal that could be done about.

I didn't get through either but they've given me the option of reapplying which I'm definitely going to take up and work on the areas where I've fallen short in the meantime.

I got the impression that all of us there yesterday had the passion to succeed and hopefully those of us who didn't get through and those who did will hopefully all make it someday.

Keep you chin up and use this experience to your advantage.

All the best for the future.

equinox_code
23rd May 2007, 14:53
what sort of questions do they ask you about the partner airlines? i know who they are, but not much more. any other particularly unexpected or unprepared for questions?

i failed the maths test at phase 2 but get to resit at 3. does anyone know how similar the maths program available from cockpitweb is to the sort of questions ctc test us on? i'd rather not splash out til i knew whether it was of any use

PPL152
23rd May 2007, 15:02
Research. Research. Research.

There are numerous posts here on typical questions asked at phase 3.
I've never been there and I can tell you that, from what I read here, they might ask you what routes the airlines operate to and from, their current aircraft, maybe their management, how do you think one particular airline compares with the other, what should that airline do to compete more successfully, and also they might ask you which airline you'd like to work for and why.

Don't want to sound like I've been through it all and I know a lot about it, but at least do make a better effort if you want to ace the CTC interview.

greywind
23rd May 2007, 15:07
For the maths Speed Mathmatics by Bill Hanley is a good book to pick up to brush up on your maths skills.

Again though if you read through some of the posts you may find some other useful suggestions

socloss
23rd May 2007, 16:13
Dont take this the wrong way Equinox_Code but I would suggest that you have ample info already from this thread to go onto the internet and do your research into these partner airlines. Print off everything you can find out about them on their websites from the 'About Us' section and everything else. Get base info, route maps and fleet info.

Then sit outside in the sun with your Aviators on and read it all and make concise notes. Buy a copy of Flight International too and read that through. Also workl out in your head why you want to be a pilot and what your answer will be. Know what a typical day in the life of a pilot consists of too.

Then have a cuppa and you will feel relaxed and ready for the grilling at Phase 3!

Sorted:8

config-2
23rd May 2007, 23:46
Hi,
I've looked on the CTC website but can't find the answer. Does anyone know if failure on the selection process for the wings programme prevents you from applying for the wings ATP programme? As I cant see anything saying that it does, I would assume that no such prevention exists- but I just wanted to be sure.
Thank you for your help.

Sagey
24th May 2007, 11:06
Config-2 it probably depends at what stage you failed. ATP people take the PILAPT tests as well, so if you dropped out at stage 2, that might prevent you from progressing onto the ATP scheme but I guess it does depend on how you did overall. Stage 3, I don't really know to be honest, it is also the same for both Wings cadets and ATP people, although you can guess that the interview is more technical for ATP applicants.

Troy McClure
24th May 2007, 12:05
I'd have thought that demonstrating the commitment to getting a CPL and IR after failing to get through Wings would make you an ideal candidate for the ATP option at a later date. You've proved you've got the ability and determination that might have been lacking first time round.

The simple answer is apply (when it reopens) and see what happens. If 2 years have passed, they will no longer have your records on file anyway. Think data protection act prevents that.

equinox_code
29th May 2007, 00:25
another question from me

been trying to research the partner airlines, and recal a lady at phase 2 telling me that british airways was one of them. can anyone confirm this? i ask because it makes no mention of british airways on ctc's website

SA242
29th May 2007, 01:13
Yes, there is mention of BA on the site. Read the page link below.
http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/0405.html

FlyingTouch
30th May 2007, 14:09
Hi Mates!

I'm proud to say I read the entire topic from its first page on! It took me so much time, but I think it was very informative and valuable. I think I will apply to CTC soon. Thank you to all who provided so much information to newbies like me :)

However, one question remains in my mind, as I'm not very clear where CTC (or airlines?) sponsors the course. Apparently, cadets should subscribe to a bond of £60.000 + NZD12000 for fundation course + £5000 per year as cost of living.

I appreciate the bond goes to the Airline when the cadet is employed, and I understand airlines pay £1000 back per month to the cadet as repayment of the bond, but when I look at EasyJet website about salaries, it seems cadets earn a lower salary than others (£26k vs £31k when frozen, then £32k vs £39k, probably as participation to training cost until the bond is paid back?).

Do I miss something or the £60.000 are actually the cost of a training which cadets must participate in? I would have entierly understood the sponsorship if airlines would not do any distinction between cadets and other pilots, but base a salary on seniority !

I don't know if my calculation is clear to anybody :bored:

Thanks for sharing your understanding of CTC's sponsorship!

MajorYaw
30th May 2007, 14:29
FlyingTouch,

Here's what I understand, as someone about to head down under.

You're right about the costs involved to the individual, and as others have confirmed to me, as a cadet joining EZY you are paid about £12k (before tax) less than a direct entry FO. That cash goes to service your loan, so yes, you effectively pay off your own bond. If you leave the airline, that £60k stays with you, whether you go on to flip burgers or fly rubber dog doo out of Hong Kong.

From what I understand, the course is "sponsored" in the sense that to progress beyond ME CPL/IR into advanced training, jet types, CRM etc a Partner Airline is brought in. You need to have passed eveything thus far to a suitable standard and may then still be subject to other Airline-specific selection procedures (or not, depends on the airline). Provided an airline is happy to take you for your 6 month probation period, they effectively "sponsor" the later stages of your training. CTC tell you that despite the £60k loan cadets are liable for, it costs a considerable amount more to fund an ab initio course that leads to the RHS.

greywind
30th May 2007, 14:31
As far as I understand it (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here) Easyjet pay cadet pilots £31K a year. The lower salary of £26K is reflective of them paying the bond payment for you.
So rather than paying you £31K and then having the bond payment come out of your bank it will go straight from Easyjet to the bank and you won't see any of it, just your £26K a year minus all that the government wants to take off you.

Wing_Bound_Vortex
30th May 2007, 23:00
I refer you to post 555 a few pages ago as to how the money situation works each month. Further to that, basically, as a cadet your pay is 12 grand less a year basic, then 12 grand is added tax free. That's what goes to paying off your bond. Obviously you've got another £7000 ish a year as sector pay on top of that.

So effectively you're paid exactly the same as a regular direct entry F/O ( actually it works out slightly to your advantage as you don't pay tax on that 12 grand ). This all goes into your account, there is no link at all between easyJet and the bank. Then you'll have set up a standing order that takes out the loan repayment the same day as your pay goes in.

So yes, the bond payment does come out of your account.
Bear in mind that with current rates you'll be paying a few pounds extra ( bout £40 at the mo ) from your taxed salary on top of that tax free £1000.

So to summarise, yes, you do pay for your training, but that's what you'd expect. Being on the scheme allows you to get the financing in place for the course with the minimum of hassle, that's the key.

WBV

RS999
4th Jun 2007, 09:37
This may seem like a very daft question but for the time that we are (or in my case, could potentially be) in NZ is it possible for Spouses and children to be there too (at our own cost of course)?

MajorYaw
4th Jun 2007, 10:05
Yeah it's possible to bring your partner out. Talk to CTC about this as it's mentioned in post-selection information.

You're basically free to make your own arrangements with regards to family, but your commitment to the programme remains the same as a single person, and costs per cadet beyond the ones covered by CTC are your responsibility. That's essentially how I interpreted it.

chrisychomp
4th Jun 2007, 13:32
Hi,

Im Chris and have been reading the forum for months without making a post-so heres my first:

I want to know more about the test conditions for Phase 2 (which I am due to take in July), I have read the 2 massive threads on the Wings programme but none really answers my following questions:

1) Is the entire test covered on a computer?
2) Are you in a office with loads of other people/distractions?
3) Is someone behind you breathing down your neck for the whole 1:15 min?

This is so I can mentally picture what the atmposphere will be like.

Thanks in advance

Chris

MajorYaw
4th Jun 2007, 15:33
Chris,

Phase 2 is conducted in a large room where all candidates are seated. The presentation is delivered, then you come out while the room is reconfigured. You then go back in and take a seat at a terminal with your back to everyone else.

The maths test is done on a piece of paper. The PILAPT Test is done on the computer terminal at your station. There are no distractions as you can't see anyone when you're looking at the screen.

The invigilator is present in the room during the test, but again is not a distraction. Certainly, there was no breath felt on my neck although others may have been disturbed by my heavy breathing as I squeezed an M1 grunt during a barrel roll and loop on the "Boxes" test. :)

The atmosphere is as relaxed as it can get, in my experience. Settle yourself with the thought that you are not competing with anyone else in the room. It's all about you and the line CTC have drawn in the sand.

PS - Requesting a flyby then singing "Great Balls of Fire" on the deviation test is a no no.

mallinderjb
4th Jun 2007, 16:03
I was wondering what questions it is best to ask in the interview?

greywind
4th Jun 2007, 21:24
CTC have recently update phase 2 so that the maths test is now on the computer. It is pretty much the same test and you get given a pen and paper to do working out, the only difference is you click the answer on the screen rather than circling it on your paper.

You can also skip over questions review your answers etc.

RS999
5th Jun 2007, 11:57
:DThanks MajorYaw:D. My Wife is getting a bit uptight :{ that I (potentially) would be away from her and my 2 week old daughter for a long time.

This will definately reassure her and as she's a Psychiatric Nurse would be able to get a temporary job in NZ no probs.:ok:

MajorYaw
5th Jun 2007, 13:19
RS999 - good luck for July 4th. I'll be flying out that day! I would get on the blower to NZ Immigration about the possible Visa types your wife could apply for sooner rather than later. You may have bureaucratic hoops to jump through so the earlier the better. CTC's visa situation is quite specialised and designed for one person so it's processed quickly, whereas your wife might have to be processed in a separate channel depending upon work and your kid etc.

Anyway, if it's any consolation, I've just hit 30 and there's a married guy of similar age heading out too, so the old dandies with responsiblities are making it in as well as the carefree young guns. Best of luck to you.

RS999
5th Jun 2007, 16:41
Thanks matey. Yup got Stage 3 on 4th July and provisionally booked for Stage 4 at Nursling the following day so here's hoping. Its been a nightmare revising and having a 2 week old and moving house to my monster in laws and now moving into my new house next week!!!!!!

Still, if I can handle staying with the Monster in Law for a week or two I'm sure I'll make it in the RHS :cool:.

If we don't communicate beforehand, good luck in NZ and hopefully we'll meet there one of these days!!

EZYramper
6th Jun 2007, 13:45
I began my application to CTC wings many moons ago, I think it was some time in October of last year. I can't even remember if I sent it away of if I didn't.

Recently when I logged in to re-apply it said that I had voluntarily withdrawn my application so I emailed CTC to get a new app' number.

They emailed me this morning saying congratulations I have passed stage one and have given me a list of dates for stage 2 testing.

Obviously I'm very pleased about getting to stage 2 but is this email an error or something? I'm pretty confused!

If anyone could help It'd be much appreciated, I can't seem to find a phone number to ring 'em.

equinox_code
6th Jun 2007, 15:56
my phase 3 is in less than 3 weeks. i recal a lady a phase 2 telling us how we should revise the partner airlines and first officer responsibilities. i'm having trouble finding detailed accounts of latter. i need to know the pros and cons of the profession, and how the job may vary between airlines

this may be a stupid question. what is meant when people say airlines fall into different 'categories'?

oates76
6th Jun 2007, 16:07
Hi all, just a quick question for those that have been down already to do your medicals, where exactly is the JAA medical building? I remember reading that is just minutes away by bus from Gatwick airport. Anyone have any better directions for me to get there from Gatwick?

Thanks very much. I'm in for the week from Canada, so am a little out of my element.

99jolegg
6th Jun 2007, 16:57
First post here...about time I contributed.

equinox_code...

Yes, it is likely they'll ask about the role of a FO. First Officer responsibilities can include the below:

- Pre flight duties - weather? Is the airfield in perfect condition?
- External walkaround
- Checklists
- Either Pilot Flying (PF) or Pilot Not Flying (PNF) duties as arranged by CPT and FO.
- Post flight duties

PF will control the aircraft i.e. control surfaces and speed. PNF will handle communications and checklists providing the PF with information along the way (In a nutshell).

Pros and cons of the profession...

Pros:
Why do you want to be an airline pilot? - anything good about it is something that is a pro.

Cons:
How is being an airline pilot different from other jobs, why can this pose a problem? A bit of thought here will provide you some valid cons.

oates76...
-Go to the South Terminal
-By Arrivals, there will be an information desk followed by a Costa Coffee shop; to the right of this are grey double doors. Follow these downstairs, out towards the bus stop in front.
-Go under the subway by foot to get to the other side of the busy road or you'll go in the wrong direction. Bus stop is on that other side.
- CAA will give you a list of buses to get - catch one.
- It's only one stop - get off, turn right, there'll be a building to your right that they call the Beehive building but looks similar to a VOR.
- Follow the road and before the junction is a huge grey CAA building on the right.

Hope it helps.

PAJ
6th Jun 2007, 20:14
Airline categories .... All I can assume they mean there is whether the airline is legend, low cost, charter, scheduled etc. and in terms of industry awareness, they might ask you something about what corporate strategies a certain airline from one (or more) of those categories might do to maintain or grow from their position in the market.

Also, the last post mentions a lot of the key responsibilities a FO has - also note the heirachy on the flight deck - I got a few questions on that. Know what sort of hours you might work, what flexibility will be expected, perhaps citing someone you know as a source of information for this who flies.

99jolegg
7th Jun 2007, 14:01
Check here for any relevant information:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251490

Also, type what you want to know into Google - I found a few useful websites that way. It need not be any more complex than that.

equinox_code
7th Jun 2007, 19:40
id be interested to know if anyone's been turned away at stage 3 despite feeling quite well prepared. or, if anyone's ever been accepted even though at the time, they thought perhaps they should have done more revision

confusedflyer
8th Jun 2007, 17:06
Hi guys, I'm new to pprune and was wondering if anyone could help with a couple of questions regarding CTC.

1. I'm looking at applying to the wings cadet scheme, but i'm concerned by the delays reported by the ATP'ers. Do the cadet course graduates enter the same holding pool as the ATP'ers after the AQC stage? If not, what sort of time lag are people experiencing between finishing the AQC via the cadet route and getting that first job?

2. As far as I can see there is little financial benefit in doing the cadet route as apposed to self sponsored modular, as you still end up paying for your training in the form of reduced earnings. The supposed benefit is the enhanced prospects of getting that first job. From my current position I reckon I could complete my fATPL and a type rating for about 60% of the cost of cadet bond. Is a CTC cadet really in a significantly better position to get a job than someone who has done their own type rating a bought a few sector hours?

Thanks

akindofmagic
9th Jun 2007, 02:42
Cadets do not really enter the holding pool. Generally, training will be uninterruped (save a couple of weeks here or there) up until the type rating stage. I have heard of people waiting two or three months to start a type rating course, but my understanding is that this was people who were holding out for a particular airline.
As yet, no cadet who has passed all stages of training has failed to be placed with an airline. I'm pretty sure that the same goes for every ATP pilot who has passed the AQC and entered the holding pool.
I cannot comment on how employable one would be with a self sponsored type rating and some hours paid for on type, but I would venture that the chance of getting a job through the CTC cadet scheme is much higher.

Diabhal
9th Jun 2007, 13:02
Hey guys, I just did my stage 3 and 4 on the 6th and 7th June, and I'm going to be off to New Zealand with CP53 in September!

In terms of the stage three, the posts on page 26 by PAJ and the summary by "Borat" linked at the start are excellent in terms of helping you prepare for both the group exercises and the interview. Remember that Google and Wikipedia are your friends here, especially with Wikipedia linking all sorts of interesting information in relation to the partner airlines and current industry events. If you're interested enough to read around the subjects a bit then this will come across well. Always remember that CTC want you to pass and do well, so try and relax and don't worry about being asked trick questions.

The only advice for stage four is just to listen to your instructor and try to relax. The instructors there are excellent and explain everything really well, so even if you've never sat at the controls of an aircraft before they'll be able to look after you. If you do make a mistake, such as loosing height in a turn, this is okay as long as you identify it and say that you've identified it - it shows that you've been listening and know what's going on, and if you can take corrective action even better. It is difficult to handle it if you've little experience (I only have 8.5 hours in a Cessna 152), and I completely messed the landing up, but I was able to discuss what went wrong with the instructor afterwards and show that even though I messed up I knew what I did wrong and what to do next time. All in all great fun and an amazing experience.

Good luck to all of you who have stages coming up, and I hope to see you out in NZ, especially the guys who I met over the last few days who helped make the stage three and four fun!

Andy

PS. If there's anyone else out there on CP53, say hi!

Flying_South
10th Jun 2007, 13:58
Hi there,

After spending the last four years trying to save money to enable me to get my fATPL, I’m feeling that I’m almost in the position (finally!!) to go for it. However, I still want to explore the possibilities of getting on a course like CTC offer and thus get a low risk loan. :ok:

Does anyone know roughly how many people apply, and then how many of these applicants actually get on the course? I was under the impression it was a kind of elite course. I know I can definitely fly but I’m no rocket scientist!

Thanks for your help.

pcoltas
10th Jun 2007, 16:23
When I was down at nursling doing stage 4 a guy was telling someone they had 3000 applicants last year, 144 made it through to stage 4 and 100 through to new zealand, going by that its like 3% but they did say they are starting to take more, plus theyve got the icp course as well now...

Ive no idea how reliable that information is, just what I overheard whilst I was there, im just happy to have made it through to be honest lol

pcoltas
10th Jun 2007, 16:30
Also I meant to ask, has everyone on here just used PJIS for the insurance? Thats all I've got left to sort now but was thinking about shopping around first, at the moment the policy from PJIS comes out at just under £1200!

Cheers

bjkeates
10th Jun 2007, 19:51
I think most people just bite the bullet and use them because the policies are quite specialised... however, you're free to shop around if you want, that premium is double what I paid this time last year.

equinox_code
19th Jun 2007, 09:00
hi

i was wondering if anyone knows how the interview is conducted at stage 3. do they ask a question and then wait for you to finish your answer, or do they often interrupt and question you on specific points you make?

also, is the questionairre i'm sending off particularly important? i'm not sure whether i should use a lot of my best interview 'answers' in the questions it specifies. i wouldn't want to repeat myself in front of them

any advice appreciated. please pm me if you have any additional help

cheers

bjkeates
19th Jun 2007, 09:51
They want to get to know you as a person, because they want to know you're right for the job. Like any interview they might ask you to clarify a point or elaborate on something a little further, but it's not some game where they're waiting for you to make a mistake and catch you out - what benefit would that bring? Just try and relax - easier said than done, but if you're relaxed the real "you" will come through better and that's what they want to see.

equinox_code
19th Jun 2007, 10:10
cheers. i've been trying to practise my interview technique, but i get nervous even when i'm talkingot myself! i know i really want this, and i know the reasons why, but i have trouble explaining myself thoroughly when called to. i've put in a lot of work too in making sure i'm familiar with the information i need to be. having trouble remembering the fleets though sometimes. would anyone know whether it's more important to know how many craft and what makes are in their fleet, or which particular models they own? i'm having a little trouble remembering all these things

also, safety and trust issues aside, is there any reason an airline would choose airbus over boieing, and vice-versa? i know about the interface differences. but does any particular model excel in practical application or for certain journeys or destinations?

flightless_bird
19th Jun 2007, 10:52
equinox_code - the more you know about the partner airlines' fleets the better. I know I was asked about them and while maybe knowing specific quantities of types of aircraft would be overkill, knowing who has what type of aircraft would show them that you have indeed done some preparation. At the very least I would recommend knowing roughly what the total fleet size of each airline is, which airlines have mixed Airbus/Boeing fleets and which airlines are going to be among the first to get the Dreamliner.

PAJ
20th Jun 2007, 01:13
I think how much they will expect you to know about fleet details will be commensurate with your flight experience/ exposure. Knowing the number of aircraft in each fleet is not too big a deal - thought the mergers are going to complicate things in that department considreably for a while!

In terms of why an airline might select Boeing over Airbus or vice-versa, a great deal is about politics - ie. American airlines supporting American companies like Boeing, and European airlines supporting Airbus. They will not expect you to know interface differences between aircraft - Basics such as Airbus being Fly-by-wire is one thing you might want to mention. Also you see all airbus aircraft have winglets and now the 737NGs are doing this - why? (aerodynamic efficiencies from wake vorticies). I would concern yourself more with knowing about what you are actually going to be doing as a pilot on a day to day basis. Also, get together loads of examples showing how you have demonstrated different core qualities.

equinox_code
21st Jun 2007, 11:26
does anyone know how the mergers are going to affect the way some of the partner airlines are run? i haven't got much of a business brain and have had trouble understanding how this side of the industry works

PAJ
21st Jun 2007, 20:40
Tough to know at this stage as very little has been published. I suspect the first thing we will see will be management restructuring - integrating two (or in TUI's case more!) companies is always a struggle and may take some time. In regards to the charter market, and how it will respond, we are now going to see two key players competing for market share. Perhaps this has all come at the right time with further pending climate change policies likely so how the companies decide their long-term strategies will be interesting. Growth is obviously key so we may see cheaper package deals emerge to allow more consumers to get in on the action, digging at niche markets that have been left to specialist tour operators until now but generally attemts to out price each other.

In regards to the airlines continuing to operate individually or to merge, we still don't know. My personal opinion is that MyTravel will become Thomas Cook Airlines more to do with brand awareness than anything, plus it is not as visible a company as the others (all of whom have high street stores of the same name, ie Thomson Holidays, First Choice Travel etc.). I have no idea about the TUI/ First Choice merger. TUI is rebranding all of its subsidies over the next 18 months or so to all be TUI Airlines, so that means we will no longer be seeing Thomsonfly airlines. With this in mind, perhaps they might choose to get maximum brand exposure and take on First Choice, but First Choice in themselves are a very strong company so they would be benefits in keeping both airlines seperate. We'll see though.

With fleet expansion, recruitment etc, there will be a significant slow down for a while as the new combined assets (both aircraft and people) are assessed and compared with what they require to meet what is set out in their respective stratefies. All of this is just conjecture on my part but I hope it can be of some help.

equinox_code
22nd Jun 2007, 10:18
thankyou very much. really helpful*

EZYramper
22nd Jun 2007, 22:51
hey all glad to say that I passed stage 2 today. Anyone else there today pass as well?

I would just like to highly recommend the GAPAN tests at this time. They are very similar to CTC's PILAPT tests and prepared me well for them.

Not sure when I'm going to be back for stage 3. I'm going to be completing OAT/NetJets stage 2 assessment before I do CTC's. On paper they look very similar, anyone have any experience with both?

For anyone going to the CTC assessments, I stayed in the Fishermans Haunt and found it to be quite nice. The room smelled a bit like old people and was a little dated but it was fine just to brush up on my maths the night before and get a good nights sleep in prep for the PILAPTs and maths test.

Should also add for the maths test, make sure you know all your squared numbers up to about 20 as well as a lot of long division and multiplication.

And relax and enjoy it, the people there are very nice and friendly and the other candidates were also very nice and talkative.

equinox_code
23rd Jun 2007, 12:45
feeling pretty well prepared for the interview now. just having a bit of trouble with the maths as i've got to resit. how would i solve an example problem like this- a plane bruns 42 litres of fuel over 120 miles. tavelling at 500mps, how far will it have travelled when by the time it burns 350 litres?
having a little trouble getting my head around situation problems like this. not sure whether i should be figuring it out accurately or getting a faster approximation.
if anyone else can remember any particular maths questions they were asked, pm them to me and i'll shower you with praise. only got 3 days of revision left so trying to focus my attention more specifically

@ yaw. thanks for the reply. tried to send you a message explaining how appreciative i was, but your inbox was full

PAJ
23rd Jun 2007, 15:09
Thats not too tough - basic performance calcs. Doubt the figures you will get at selection will be quite so oblique - generally they tend to be more rounded numbers. Anyways, for that example I would do the following.

42 is close to 50, and you know 350 is divisible exactly by 50:
350/50 = 7
I would then multiply this by the number of miles each 42 litres will take you:
7 x 120 = 840 miles

With this, check against the choices you are given. If there is a clear cut answer, then there you have it. If there are a couple close by, you need to go a little further....

Via long division:
350/42 = 8.3
Then through long multiplication:
8.3 x 120 = 996 miles

The crude estimation works out to be nearly 20% different so I guess it's all down to the factors you choose. Take each question as it comes and decide how precise you need to be - you dont necessarily have enough time to labour over precise calculations for all the questions (much like on the flightdeck).

johnston_fraser
23rd Jun 2007, 22:25
Hi everyone, just wondering if you can give me an idea of how long the phase 2 assessment takes? I am booked into the 9am session and was wondering if it would be safe to catch the 13:55 flight back to Glasgow.

Any ideas?

Thanks

RS999
24th Jun 2007, 18:24
Hi there. I assume you are flying back to Prestwick with Ryanair?? If so, their return flight leaves BOH at 1535hrs.

I've used this flight before when I sat Stage 2 and then when I went back down to resit Stage 2. I had plenty of time to make my flight back to PIK.

Will be using the same flights when I sit stages 3 & 4 in a couple of weeks.

Theres enough time for you to chill out and have a couple of beers in the (excuse for) a departure lounge at BOH after your Stage 2 prior to your flight too which is a bonus:)

General Zod
25th Jun 2007, 11:53
That's good to know as I'll be using the same service next Tuesday after my stage 2

EZYramper
25th Jun 2007, 13:06
Does anyone know what kind of sim they use at Stage 4?

Is it a 737NG or a classic 737?

I might be jumping the gun here but was just curious!!

A post from Nov 2004 said it was a 737-300 so just wanted to make sure this was the sim still in use.

Cheers

equinox_code
25th Jun 2007, 16:40
hi all, hopefully my last questions as my interview is tomorrow

during my trial flight, we were guided back to the runway by atc. i seem to recal there being a specific name for this approach. can someone tell me what it's called?

also, do british airways do charter or schedule? (sorry, really can't find anywhere that gives me a specific answer to that question)

Bambe
25th Jun 2007, 16:54
Phase 2 mathematics are more than easy. The only thing you have to be able to do is being able to divise and multiplicate with a pen and a paper (I know it's a long, long time ago but it comes back pretty quick).
15 minutes is really enough, I bought Speed mathematics and must avoid that the book is fantastic and really interesting as you learn some incredible way to calculate in less than 10 seconds 95X102.......But this is totally useless for the phase 2. This is my point of view.

Please do not worry about the maths, even if you read :"give the cube root of 125....." Just have a look at the results it's obvious.(5X5X5=125)

The pilapt is really much more stressful as it starts by the deviation indicator. For those who downloaded the pilapt test, be advised that both of the Deviation indicator are wrong. On D-day you will have to push it right to bring the cross on the right and left to bring it back left....seems obvious I agree but I was quite surprised.

I'm on phase 3 in 8 days, but if successfull.....No course before November!!!!

Enjoy, try to relax, those people from CTC are really nice.

equinox_code
25th Jun 2007, 18:21
"hi all, hopefully my last questions as my interview is tomorrow

during my trial flight, we were guided back to the runway by atc. i seem to recal there being a specific name for this approach. can someone tell me what it's called?

also, do british airways do charter or schedule? (sorry, really can't find anywhere that gives me a specific answer to that question)"

one more question to add to these- is terminal 5 funded solely by british airways?

MajorYaw
26th Jun 2007, 10:19
For those who need to know about the Visa process turnaround, I sent mine special delivery on Thursday night. I received it back on Tuesday. Now that's good service. I didn't even have to write a letter asking them to treat it urgently.

Circumstance meant I was cutting it fine, but it all came good in the end. My advice is to do it sooner rather than later, but if it has to go to the wire send it special delivery and they'll sort it out quickly.

reggy_uk
26th Jun 2007, 10:44
Hey Ezyramper.

If I remember rightly from my phase 4 it was the 737-300 at nursling. Certainly wasnt the NG! Great fun though. Enjoy and good luck. :)

PPL152
26th Jun 2007, 15:21
How did you do equinox?

chrisychomp
27th Jun 2007, 11:57
Hi equinox,

I know this maybe 'too little too late' but the approach on your trail flight-are you referring to the circuit, i.e. joining instructions, or specific points in the circuit, like the 'crosswind', 'downwind', 'baseleg' and 'final'.

There is also the following terms 'long final' or 'short final' referring to length you are from the runway when preparing to land.

Anyway thought it may be useful to you.

CD

equinox_code
27th Jun 2007, 12:33
gutted. i didn't get on and i'm not allowed to re-apply. i put so much work into all of this, i can hardly convey my disappointment. i thought the whole day went really well. i even had a suspicion i'd got on to stage 4. considering the cost of applying, i felt they should've given me more feedback too. i'm devastated

equinox_code
27th Jun 2007, 12:56
no feedback at all. just the standard rejection letter. i'm quite shocked actually. i understand the sort of character they want, and i know i match it. and as far as industry knowledge, i spent 9 hours a day revising for this. i answered every question they asked me in detail. i really thought i was gonna get on. knowing i can't reapply either makes it all so much worse

asdhkd
28th Jun 2007, 00:12
dude sorry to hear you didnt get in. they normally don't give feedback for cost reasons etc. But don't be put off by this, if its what you really want to do then why not try somewhere else, OAT, FTE or something like that. A mate of mine was working at a desk job for an airline and now they are paying for his training to become a pilot for them. Theres always other options.

equinox_code
28th Jun 2007, 00:22
at £180 per person, i'm sure they could afford me the time of writing a few lines to tell me why i didn't pass selection. anyway, i'm not a homeowner, and neither are any of my relatives. so no integrated options are available to me (if anyone has any suggestions, please pm me). the only way left is to go modular. in the area i live, with the wages available, and with my qualifications, i'm looking at £6 per hour. it's gonna take me about 15 years to get the money to cover the cost bof my training. i can't help being a little bitter about people who get it all payed for them by their parents.

hoody_mcboob
28th Jun 2007, 14:33
Equinox sorry to hear you dou didnt get through selection, its especially frustrating after you put in alot of work. However, you have to get over this opinion that the industry owes a job. If CTC havent even given you the option to reapply perhaps your assesment of the character they are looking for isnt quite right.
Its not like all is lost, have you thought of applying to the Highland/Air Atlantique sponsorship? Im not sure if the GAPAN still offer a full FATPL scholarship, and PPL ones. The Air League offer scholarships and bursuaries, and there are many local trusts around that might help out if you dig for info. Also what about working at a flying club, try to get cheaper/free lessons?
There is heaps information around on here, and many people who will try to help, but taking a cheap shot at other wanabees just because they are lucky with funding isnt going to help you out.

RS999
1st Jul 2007, 23:04
Anyone doing Stage 3 on Wednesday 4th July?

Gingerbread Man
2nd Jul 2007, 16:18
Hello, i've got a stage 3 place fairly soon but there was no mention of the essay questions that people have mentioned in previous posts (up to about 2 months ago). Have they been dropped?

Many thanks - this thread is very useful :8 . I'll contribute when I have something useful to add.

Ginger ;)

EZYramper
2nd Jul 2007, 16:23
I got emailed my essay questions along with my pass email on the same day as stage 2. They're tricky! It's really hard to think of obstacles I've overcome to achieve a goal, have I ever done that?!

I have stage 3 on 25th July, very excited!

Gingerbread man, check your junk mail to be sure it hasn't got caught in that or just email/phone CTC again and ask them to send them again.

R T Jones
2nd Jul 2007, 17:23
The day I took my phase 2, 1st June, they were apparently having some technical problems which led to the essay questions not being emailed to me. Just drop them a quick email and I'm sure they will get back to you very quickly. I agree with you EZYramper, that last one sure is the trickiest one! Quite enjoyed writing the others once I got stuck in.

Locarno
2nd Jul 2007, 17:53
Ooft I found the last essay question the easiest! (maybe thats not a good thing). I've filled all my boxes, and had to cut out unnessessary words like "and" etc.

I have my Stage 3 on the 11th, anyone going to be with me on that one?

I'm panicing so much as I have NO IDEA what to prepare!

Gingerbread Man
2nd Jul 2007, 20:05
I found them. I was about to leave for a holiday when I got the email to say i'd passed and just quickly scanned it, obviously forgetting the bit about the questions. When I went back I just checked the most recent email - thank God for Pprune!!

Do they look unkindly on questions that take a couple of weeks to come back, or do they generally not care as long as it's a sensible amount of time before your Ph3?

Cheers,

Ginger ;)

EZYramper
2nd Jul 2007, 20:19
I would think they did not care. As long as they have them on hand on the day that should be fine.

As the 6 P's rule states:

proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance!

What's better? Someone who rushed through them and returned them two days later or someone who took their time and produced what was sought in two/three weeks?

flightless_bird
4th Jul 2007, 11:47
I had my phase 3 on a Tuesday and they phoned me on the previous Friday to say that they hadn't received my answers yet (even though it said that they were just due on the Tuesday). I'd therefore try and get them in no later than about a week beforehand. But there certainly is not any rush to get them in first or anything like that. I wrote my answers and then got a couple of people to comment on them and to make suggestions as to how they could be improved in fact so when I finally submitted them I was pretty happy with what I'd written down and was glad I'd taken the time to do so.

mallinderjb
4th Jul 2007, 14:36
I have my phase 3 on 18th July and aftermany probs with e-mails from CTC have sorted returning my questions. One quick question, where is the phase 3? Bournemouth or Southampton?

From the correspondence I have, I would go for Bournemouth but I am unsure as many posts refer to Southampton?

reggy_uk
4th Jul 2007, 14:50
Hey mallinderjb Phase 3 is at Bournemouth. Only Phase 4 is at Nursling. Good Luck!

mallinderjb
4th Jul 2007, 15:17
Thank you, I can book the Travelodge now.

Thank you, I think I'm gonna need it. Trying to brush up on some industry/technical knowledge. Hope the right questions come up. This thread has been very useful though so thank you to everyone for all the tips and hints.

RS999
4th Jul 2007, 17:27
If anyones after a decent, cheap, friendly hotel for their stages at Bournemouth try The Hostel Inn Hotel in Boscombe. Top hotel and owners are brilliant. Only £25-30 per night B&B for a Single en suite room.

pre3mhjt
4th Jul 2007, 20:39
Phase 3 at Bournemouth? Must have changed since I did it. They always used to do it at the house (Dibden Manor, Southampton). You could even stay there the night before...Very nice.

Polorutz
5th Jul 2007, 14:55
Equinox, CTC can be tough at times... and sometimes even the best prepared fail at the easiest tasks due to nervousness or whatnot.

I failed my Stage 3 about 4 months ago and got reinvited back, it turned out that I failed one of the team exercises due to being nervous, it actually happened in the second exercise, you see? I thought I had done bad on the first one and really tried hard on my second one to accomplish the task and I kinda stopped worrying about the team vibe... They sent me the feedback and I was sure I was going to get something about my interview but to my surprise it came out perfect... my interview was flawless.. I studied and prepared myself and it paid off and even though it all went ok there the team exercise doomed my chances of going to nursling for phase 4. Next time I try I will leave the nervousness behind and act like a team member.

Maybe that was what happened to you?

-Polorutz

PPL152
5th Jul 2007, 15:32
Sorry to deviate from the current discussion.

I'm 19 and have my application on hold. I am deciding whether to pursue studying at University or else go directly for the selection.

I am hardly motivated to continue studying at Uni!

Regards.

pcoltas
5th Jul 2007, 15:43
well dont tell ctc that when you have your interview!

my mate had his phase 3 and said at the interview he was finding it difficult to stay motivated in his last few weeks at uni, to which they replied "well if you're finding it hard to be motivated now how are you gonna manage at ctc for the next 14 months?" he didnt get through to phase 4

Polorutz
5th Jul 2007, 15:45
The uni degree is not required, I myself did not finish my degree and know people who did finish one and have failed the selection process... if you manage to go through stage 1 without the degree I reckon you'll be ok going to the selection and giving it your best, however, it all hangs from the selection and if you show even a hint of weakness on the CTC phases you'll be purged.. so make up a good excuse as to why you left your college.

I am currently doing my ATPL exams which you will do if you pass the selection and depending on your field of university studies could help you a lot with them, I studied computer science in a very good university which gave me a strong physics and calculus foundation with which absolutely none of the math involved on the ATPLs have been a challenge.

Also, you're young still and getting that degree can give you a fallback in case you don't get a job at the end.

Just my 2 cents.

-Polorutz

PPL152
5th Jul 2007, 16:17
Thanks for the responses.
I haven't go to Uni yet, and prefer to start my pilot career now rather than study for 5 yrs stuff which I do not really like.

My dilemma is whether to go to uni now or else forget uni and go for ctc.

bjkeates
5th Jul 2007, 21:26
Well, what's your back-up plan if you don't get in to CTC? Do you then intend to go to university? Or something else? It's something you need to consider. The CTC selection is tough.

Locarno
6th Jul 2007, 15:09
I have my phase 3 soon so I'm brushing up on the partner airlines and what they fly.

My question is this:

Where would I find information on where the different types of aircraft are likely to fly (I.e 737 -short/medium haul) etc.

Any and help is greatly appreciated :)

greywind
6th Jul 2007, 15:20
Well try the airlines websites first.
Theres a few with really good info on the fleets (monarch and mytravel)
Then the likes of Thomas cook whose website isn't great for the airline information.

Than try wikipedia but always bear in mind that wikipedia is not 100% accurate but has pretty good descriptions of most types of aircraft and the airlines.

Then of course the manufacturers, you could spend days reading through everything on boeing and airbus' websites

Polorutz
6th Jul 2007, 16:05
Don't focus too much on the really technical parts of the partner ailrines operation, they usually don't go into such detail, if you know from where they fly and what they fly you'll be ok.

Locarno
6th Jul 2007, 16:35
Okay what I've been studying is:

The companys, where they are based, core UK hubs, fleet size, aircraft, aircraft on order and when the company is formed.

As for the aircraft themselves, I have picked 737-600/800, 757-200/300 and the A320. Seat numbers, MTOW, Range, Fuel, Cost and where they are likely to fly to.

Think that is too much?

I'm panicking about what questions they are gonna ask really, technical and otherwise. I actually feel sick thinking about it - unusual for me, I am generally very relaxed!

I've read every post on every thread regarding CTC and I still don't know what the best way to prepare is. Any tips?

Cheers, Jason.

EZYramper
6th Jul 2007, 17:13
MTOW?

Well you can never be too prepared I suppose. Does anyone have any experience of the technical questions? I thought they would be more to do with the general physics of flight.

As for me so far I've studied (in relation to partner airlines) hubs, fleet with engine types, CEO and notable people, focus cities, future development, stock price and recent history, the mergers, Airline history and route map.

I'm not too sure what to study technically though, I read the book Understanding Flight (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Flight-David-F-Anderson/dp/0071363777/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/203-1185379-1037509?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183741826&sr=8-1) by David F. Anderson and Scott Eberhardt which I found to be excellent in explaining every aspect of flight.

How much of your interview is used to talk about your answers to the essay questions?

kieranmp
6th Jul 2007, 17:16
Hi,
I have my phase 3 in a month too, my advise to you would be to try and relax a bit, if you are up tight now that may come across in the interview!? Just go over what is on this forum but remember the interview is just as much if not more about them finding out about you than an exam about the commercial industry. Go over your psotive points and how you can make a difference and you will be fine!!

Locarno
6th Jul 2007, 17:28
Nah I'm fine - When I get there I'll be much more relaxed and I'll do my best.
I'm just sooo apprehensive at the moment.
My 4 questions are great - I could talk all day long on those.
I think I'll be able to pass easily on the technical questions.
But I'm severely worried on the remainder. Is it just the usual "Why do you want this position?" "what would your friends think of you?" etc?

Is anyones date the 11th July?

PAJ
6th Jul 2007, 21:02
Technical questions are likely to be commensurate with your flying experience to date. Doubt you need to know any performance figures of any of the aircraft though although if you have the time to get all that under your belt, fine. However just as important as knowing the fleet technicalities, know about the mergers and how this will affect long term strategies for these new/ rebranded airlines. A common question that seems to have come up is "if you were CEO of easyJet (or any other of the airlines) what would your medium and long term strategy entail?" This is a good question to get if you know your stuff - allows you to bring in loads of examples - route expansion, building a brand, upgrading fleet, how you will offset climate change, what new hubs you might like to branch out to......the list goes on and on! I also got a question on what the core differences are between Airbus/ Boeing narrow-body aircraft (fly by wire, sidestick, winglets, engines), and I was also asked why we are seeing winglets on more aircraft today.

Most emphasis will be placed on questions about times you have done things like lead a team, or give an example of..., how would you deal with..... Very important you have lots of examples!

honkster
8th Jul 2007, 13:15
Im also there on 11 Jul mate. Where you travelling from?
Have you booked your accommodation yet for the tuesday/wednesday night?

Lee

Locarno
8th Jul 2007, 15:26
Luckily I don't have to book accommodation as my sister is an Air Traffic Controller and lives in bournemouth so thats quite good.

I'm flying Prestwick to Bournemouth so thats actually quite handy for me.

When was your stage2? If you have MSN or any kind of chat medium send me your email addy over PM - I've been dying to talk to someone else thats going!

Pilot RatBoy
8th Jul 2007, 21:42
I have my stage 3 on 12th july. the kind of stuff i have been looking at is the aircraft that each partner airline tends to fly, and the usual routes for that aircraft. I think researching such stuff as MTOW is a bit much, but as has been said its better to be over prepared. I think we will be required to have a basic knowledge about why planes fly (ie the basic principles) and have an understanding about how airlines operate. believe it or not, i have been using such programs as airline and airport to understand the airline side of thing, whilst seconds from disaster and air crash investigation to learn about the technical side (plus it gives me an excuse to be an anorak!!).

Apparently from what I have heard though, it its the questions about yourself that are the more taxing to answer. So dont forget to think about why you actually want to become a pilot and try and think of good experience of things from your past (such as team working, voluntary etc).

For the group activities, the key is to take an active part but not be overbearing. Make sure the assessors can see that you are getting involved.

Having said all that, it would now be sods law for me to fall down. if anyone else has their stage 3 on 12th, gimme a buzz.

EZYramper
9th Jul 2007, 12:22
"Is it just the usual "Why do you want this position?" "what would your friends think of you?" etc?"

If that is a serious question, do you think they would accept "I couldn't care less" as a serious answer?!

Gingerbread Man
9th Jul 2007, 13:09
Can anyone tell me what the current fleet for CTC consists of? I'm aware it has changed fairly recently and I can only remember DA42s and the Robins from the presentation at stage 2. I've read about an order for Alpha A120s but don't know if they have them yet, and do they still have DA20s?

Many thanks,

Ginger ;)

EZYramper
9th Jul 2007, 13:32
This may be wrong, I'm trying to remember what Daphne said about it at my stage 2, I believe CTC grounded their fleet of DA-20s or are getting rid of them. Why? I don't know. She said they have very soon or very recently began taking delivery of the new fleet of Alphas built in NZ as their single engine fleet and have retained the fleet of DA-42s.

akindofmagic
9th Jul 2007, 14:36
Single engine fleet consists of: Cessna 172s (N, R and S models), R2160s and A160s (licence built R2160s from Alpha Aviation just across the road from CTC in Hamilton).
The Da-20s are not flying at the moment; the idea is that eventually there will only be A160s in the single engine fleet.
The twin-engine fleet consists of Piper Seminoles and Da-42s. The Seminoles are now only used occasionally for instructor training and instructor IR renewals, and the word is that they will be sold soon. The upshot is that all multi engine training for cadets is completed on the Da-42 and in the Da-42 simulator (FNPT2).

Gingerbread Man
9th Jul 2007, 15:26
Perfect, thanks for the info.

Miles_JAN
9th Jul 2007, 21:56
Stage 3 on the 11th for me. Staying in London, getting the train down at silly AM on Wednesday morning. Anyone want to share a taxi from christchurch?

Locarno
10th Jul 2007, 08:23
Never mind - christchurch is further out than I thought - I'll be going from Bournemouth itself.

See ya tomorrow!

Miles_JAN
10th Jul 2007, 16:27
It's actually closer than Bournemouth...I think...

easy1471
12th Jul 2007, 11:41
Hi, my name is Marc and i currently attend University in Newcastle. About a week agao i was invited to the first stage of selection for the ctc cadet scheme. i am going down to Bournemouth on the 14th of Aug for this. Would you be able to tell me what i should expect in the first stage of selection? what is the day made up of? ii am quite worried that i will not know how to prepare for it.

Many Thanks

Marc

EZYramper
12th Jul 2007, 13:47
Marc before everyone rips into, I suggest you read through this thread it tells everything about the day.

There is also a description of the selection stages on the CTC wings website as well.

This is how stage two works:

20 minute presentation about the partner airlines and an overview of the scheme should you pass all four stages and get to go to NZ/Bournemouth.

After that you then go into the assessment room and do a simple maths test, 15 questions in 15 minutes, this part you can prepare for. Make sure you are sharp on long division and multiplication, know your square numbers and know how to rearrange basic equations.

After the maths test you go straight into the PILAPT testing.

This consists of 7 or 8 tests that last about an hour all done using the joystick and keyboard in front of you.

If you go on the PILAPT website there are some screen shots of the tests. These are aptitude tests though so you can't really prepare for them, you either have those particular abilities or not (so they say).

Good luck marc

supermantk
12th Jul 2007, 14:23
hi everyone just wanted to say first of all that this forum is a great help for all trying to gain entry to ctc. i have my phase 3 in a couple of weeks.....im stuck on how to fill in the questions ctc ask you to send in especially motivation for flying as i have no previous flying hours to mention. is this a problem for me and also does anyone have any ideas on what i could write bar the usual kinds of things???? secondly does being a really young age hamper my chances of getting through as im only 20 at the moment?? also if some of you who have been to stage three could give some examples of questions asked in the interview stage it would be helpful.......do you only need to know about ctc's partners planes, destination etc or is their anything else they ask you about planes etc. ive done a lot of research on the partners and boeing and airbus planes.......is that enough??
thanks

Locarno
12th Jul 2007, 19:17
Well thats it - I just returned from Stage 3 and...
I was unsuccessful.
Well...kind of.

I got re-invited back! So I must have just missed it!
I reckon it was because my age. I'm only 18 so I think that worked against me, I don't think I was mature enough.

As for the person above me - just spill your heart out. Having no flying experience will not work against you and they do love younger people. Just as long as they are mature.
I was re-invited to apply in a year as I showed a lot of "potential" and I actually thats better than getting in first time because I know exactly what I need to get in and I should be EXTREMELY well prepared next year.

Oh and as for the 4 questions - thats just up to you, and you alone. No one can help you with that - just structure it well, indruduce - prove/explain - conclude.

They want to know you WANT this, and they want to see that you're prepared to put in the work.

I know you'll be thinking "pfft, I don't want to take advice from a guy that just failed" but trust me, I was BEYOND prepared. I looked at every angle and I had every base covered (except the one major other part that I probably failed on).

Anyways what I'm saying is - I'm HAPPY I was unsuccessful because the experience I have gained is exceptional and I now feel even more determined to take on the world. I KNOW I'll be a damn good pilot, I just need someone else to take that chance.

If you think what the heck, this guy seems alright, email me on [email protected] . I've got a lot of contacts that got me where I am today that have shared a lot of information with me. Feel free to get in touch.

Jason.

leigh_logan
13th Jul 2007, 10:09
Hi Andy,

Well done, I'm also on cp53 flying out in sept.
Do you know of anyone else on the same course?

Regards
Lee

leigh_logan
13th Jul 2007, 10:42
Hey all,

I anyone else on cp53 that had there phase 3 on the 15th may??

Regards
Lee

supermantk
13th Jul 2007, 11:45
hi lee
congrats on getting selected. im due for my phase 3 in two weeks wondering if you could give me some tips for it like what kind of questions are asked in the interview regarding the partner airlines etc what sort of personal questions are asked. any other tips for this phase would be appreciated.
thanks

cyprien
13th Jul 2007, 16:02
Hello,

Anyone got stage 3 on 25th july??

Byee,cyp.

EZYramper
14th Jul 2007, 14:00
Yes sir 25th July.

When did you have your stage 2? I had a French guy on mine, 2 Poles and another Brit.

GorgeousGeorge
14th Jul 2007, 18:10
I have my phase 3 on the first of August, anybody else going to be there then?

Does anybody know how quickly phase four comes around if you are successful at 3?

GG

ozman777
14th Jul 2007, 19:04
Hello ! I have my Phase 2 assessement on next Monday, 17th of July !

Anyone else ?

Good luck to everyone !

Bye,

Ozman, from Switzerland.

Jimbofly
15th Jul 2007, 07:23
Hello, I had my phase 2 on Tuesday 10th July in the afternoon but I still haven’t had an email letting me know if I have been successful or not.

How long does it normally take? as some people have mentioned the same day.

Is it worth emailing ctc and asking or am I being to impatient?

Thanks

PAJ
15th Jul 2007, 07:51
Call them - you should have had a response the same day (sometimes the next morning). Make sure you're checking the correct email address.

Locarno
15th Jul 2007, 10:34
CTC are having a problem with their servers.

Go onto your online application and it should either say "PASSED" or "UNSUCCESSFUL" there.

cyprien
15th Jul 2007, 11:34
Locarno is right you should know if you have passed by going on your online application.
EZYramper, check your PM.

bye,

Cyprien.

lovezzin
15th Jul 2007, 12:17
1 french, 2 poles....even swiss people....oh man....dont they have their own programs in their countries? you know...the ones us brits cant apply to?

ozman777
15th Jul 2007, 13:01
The only sponsored ab-initio sheme in Switzerland which is the SWISS cadets one, is open to all EU applicants.

leigh_logan
15th Jul 2007, 16:33
Hey,

I'm due to fly out to NZ in September and was interested to see what is awaiting me, can anyone enlighten me?
What is the work pattern- is it 5days a week and times i.e 7am til 5pm, is all the ground school self study?

I know it will be very very hard work, but on a sale of 1 to 10 how hard is the course???

A general description of a day in a life of a cadet would be great ?

If someone can help that would be great....
Many thanks
Lee

Locarno
15th Jul 2007, 17:57
All I know is you get loads of time off - so much so that many cadets learn to surf etc. Every course gets a car and a minibus and are free to do loads of different activities.

bjkeates
15th Jul 2007, 19:18
Lee,

I'm not sure Locarno is being entirely accurate saying "you get loads of time off". The training centre in NZ is a 7-day-a-week operation. The times you can be scheduled to fly varies depending on the season (due to daylight hours, obviously) but by the time you're there it'll be getting towards summer so you can expect to be scheduled any time between 06:30 and 20:00. There are limits to the number of hours you can do in a day, however, so if you did get two flights in a day you wouldn't get them at the two extremes. Last summer it used to shut by 5pm at weekends, although whether that will be the same this time round I don't know.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, you are not allowed to do more than 6 days consecutively and must have 3 off in 14. This means you'll get an adequate number of days off, but don't automatically assume you will get weekends free. It is true you get the use of a couple of vehicles and can use them to go places in your spare time, but training activities obviously take priority.

The ground school system has changed slightly, it was until recently all self-study but now there are classroom lessons to go with the computer-based study.

How hard is the course? Well, it's impossible to put on a scale of 1-10 (what exactly are you comparing it to?) but suffice to say if you've passed selection then they obviously believe you probably won't have an issue coping with it.

leigh_logan
16th Jul 2007, 10:00
Hi,

Thanks for all your help, at least i have an idea of wait is awaiting me.
One last question, in the event that I fail one of the atpl's, can you resit it? I know you can with OAT cabair etc... but as your only in the uk for 3 weeks to do your exams, what would happen?

Many Thanks
Lee

PAJ
16th Jul 2007, 10:29
You're in the UK for more than 3 weeks usually - its generally about 5 I think. If you fail one, you resit it in the next module when you return from NZ for good if the subject was one of the first eight, or you have to head to a testing centre from Bournemouth once you are based back there if it was in the second module. Not entirey sure of the details and what the procedure is, but you are able to resit (although obviously not an ideal scenario).

Good User Name
16th Jul 2007, 12:57
Hi Lee,

Have you read all of bjkeates's diary? I found it very useful for getting a flavour of what is to come (I'm also on cp53 so I really enjoyed reading it!) I can't remember the exact web address but I believe it is linked somewhere earlier in this thread.

bjkeates - hope you don't mind me referring to your blog but I think its great for people wanting to find out more about the CTC course.

Regards,

G.U.N

Streety
16th Jul 2007, 14:51
http://www.cp41.net (http://www.cp41.net/)

For more info if people are interested.... Diary link should give some more ideas of life out here through some cadet's eyes....

PPL152
16th Jul 2007, 22:29
Hi guys

I've been talking to a guy who has applied to CTC a few months back.

He had passed through stage 1, 2, and 3. However when they emailed him regarding stage 3 results, they told him that he had successfully passed stage 3, but regretfully was not selected.

The guy told me that 99% this was because, for example CTC needed 30 at that time, out of, say 60.... and they sort of chuked him out. This guy is not Brit.

Can anyone maybe shed light on how CTC selects people and/or maybe any comments about this event?

This guy shocked me when he was telling me to be honest!!

EZYramper
16th Jul 2007, 22:53
Maybe he was lying?!

Seriously though, I don't see why they didn't select him. If CTC are continuing to take application then why would they have not put him in a hold pool so to speak?

EZYramper
16th Jul 2007, 22:58
Yet another question regarding age...

On the cp41.net blog there are only 2 peoples profiles, both are uni grads.

Is anyone out in NZ at the moment, or has been in the past, who can tell me what the age of the cadets is/was?

It seems like it is around the 25 mark.

I ask because at stage 2 Daphne mentioned that many 18/19 year olds have been rejected due to a lack of life experience. As a 19 year old going for stage 3 soon, this doesn't bode too well for me!

Any replies from people in the know would be much appreciated.

SA242
16th Jul 2007, 23:46
The age range here varies from 18 through to around 30 or so. I would imagine most cadets are around 21 to 25 and this is mostly because they completed a uni degree before setting off to CTC although there are people here without uni experience. Those people however usually have a certain amount of good experience in other fields appertaining to selection such as a large amount of travel experience on their own, sports, work experience or flying exposure to make up for uni. Its all about life experience to prove that you can hold your own down under. Obviously the older you are the more time you have had to gain this experience and illustrate these experiences to the selection board.

Lovezzin: you'll be pleased to know that a fair amount of the CTC cadet base is made up of French, Italian, South African (there are a few of us) and Canadian cadets...

EZYramper
17th Jul 2007, 00:53
hurray for me!

I didn't go to uni but I did travel around the world on my own for a couple of months!

JC1000
17th Jul 2007, 11:04
To follow up on bjkeates' comments on how intensive the course is:

Total SE flying probably about 180ish hours, spread over about 8 or 9 months (average), so about 20 hours flying a month. In practice this is usually a month of zero then a month of 50 but you get the picture. Flying syllabus has changed completely now integrated but hours are pretty similar I guess.

Ground school time is what you make of it, has all changed since I was there but it really isn't particularly time pressured at all.

When you get to NZ you'll find that everyone is complaining about not having enough to do rather than being too busy!

I'm about to slip into a long rant so I guess I should stop there. Any more questions PM me.

Niagra1
17th Jul 2007, 12:28
Afternoon all,

Just got confirmation that ill be going to NZ on the 7th November! CP55

Its been a stressfull journey the last three weeks, but i am glad i am with CTC now!

Anyone else on CP55? drop me a message if you are be good to know who else is going!

I am off for a beer! the adrenaline is pumping!

Niagra1

RS999
18th Jul 2007, 22:33
Good lad Jamie. Stage 3 was great fun as far as I'm concerned, had a great time and met some really interesting folks. Best bit of all........Stage 4.

I had Steve Billet as my instructor and was sh:mad:ing myself. Shouldn't have though as I passed and had a great time while I was at it.

You'll be 3 months down the line from me by the time I get out to NZ as I'm flying out on 9th January for CP57 starting on 14th January so I'll be expecting plenty of hints and tips and, of course, a few obligatory beers.

Speak soon mate. I'll PM you my mobile number so we can keep in touch mate.

Stevie

SA242
18th Jul 2007, 22:56
Wow - I can't believe they are already placing for cp57! Thats miles away!

Niagra1
19th Jul 2007, 08:00
yeah steve ill be old hat by the time you are there! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it all to be fair, the stage 4 was extremely enjoyable! a lot of people never get to experience anything like that (my mates were so jealous!) and as long as you listen to the instructor/examiner and dont over-correct to much (and if you do make a mistake keep talking through the corrective measures) it is real fun! I had issues with the trim part, concentrating on everything else, THEN realising to trim it up (made it so much easier when it was trim - otherwise it was like a workout in the gym!)

looking forward to xmas out there, and looking forward to meeting the rest of my class!

And of course, a beer will be mandatory!

cheers

J

Easy226
19th Jul 2007, 13:37
Hey guys - did my stage 3 selection yesterday and just received the good news that im through to stage 4! Over the moon!

Many thanks

dan

Niagra1
19th Jul 2007, 13:46
Nice one Easy!

Stage 4 is great fun! just get a good nights kip the night before, as mine was at 6.30 :eek:

On a separate note, now that i am on CP55, what exactly is provided by CTC? Do i need to get a headset? Flightbag? Whizz wheel etc?

Just put my sizes in for my uniform, well excited! (does that get delivered to me in the uk?)

Cheers

Niagra1

Good User Name
19th Jul 2007, 14:46
Hi Niagra1 - congratulations on your place!

You will shortly recieve several emails explaining all, but CTC do provide flight bag, uniform (except shoes), etc at your 'Meet and Greet' day which will be held a week or two before your departure.

I'm flying out in September so will see you there. There's a CTC social thread down on page 5 of the Interviews, jobs & sponsorship forum - probably better of using that for any pre-NZ banter or feel free to pm me.

G.U.N

greywind
19th Jul 2007, 15:30
On one of the emails we got from Daphne after confirming our course there should be an attachement that has a list of what we get given and what we have to buy.

I think flightbag, headset and whizz wheel (I'm guessing that's a flight computer??) are all in there.

Not sure about uniform delivery though?

mallinderjb
19th Jul 2007, 17:06
Hi Dan,

I got the good news too!!!

When is your stage 4?

I have mine on the 26th JUly at 3pm.

Cheers

James

Easy226
19th Jul 2007, 17:59
congratulations buddy! Did your friend get through the selection too? I have the sim assessment at 1600 after you then. Really looking forward to the whole day. I am on holiday for the whole of next week and im in the process of trying to work a plan out but its not going too well. I rang the office up today to see if there was another date - cant believe its a week today!

many thanks

dan

reggy_uk
19th Jul 2007, 18:03
Hey guys congratulations on getting through! As I understand it you receive your uniform along with all the other gear at your meet & greet.

R T Jones
20th Jul 2007, 19:53
Had my phase 4 today and got through! When I left, I wasn't sure how it had gone but got a phone call about 10 minutes after leaving! Was originally told I wouldn't find out until Saturday so was relieved to find out so quickly. I don't think it’s sunk in yet, can't believe I made it. Niagra1, I'm also on CP55 and looking forward to that 26 hour flight already!

mallinderjb
20th Jul 2007, 20:15
Unfortunately he didn't get through. He can re-apply though so thats good. Yeah I know, dunno how much preparation I can do, don't even have flight sim. See you next week.

James

Easy226
21st Jul 2007, 08:55
oh thats a shame - at least he has been given the opportunity to resit th assesment and also has a taster of what it is like. I am not in on the 26th now as i am on holiday - i nearlly cancelled my holiday to go, but i spoke to someone and am booked in on the 2nd August.

Many thanks

dan

RS999
21st Jul 2007, 18:33
Only been allocated a course so far in advance as this is what suits me. Just bought a brand new house and my wife's just had our first child 9 weeks ago. Need to get used to that before goign to NZ...

supernova737
21st Jul 2007, 18:49
Hi All,

I am in a similar situation I have been re-invited back down for stage 3 next year but in the meantime my fiance and I have had a child.

While I was down at Bournemouth in March the CTC chaps mentioned that there is accomodation for cadets who want to take their families over.

Can anyone give me any further info on this as I have tried to find info on the additional cost of this accomodation but with no success so far.

Many Thanks

PAJ
22nd Jul 2007, 03:55
The cost of having guests stay in your CTC accommodation is under review at the minute with an answer due to be pulished to us shortly as I understand it. There is no special accommodation for familes I don't think - its just a matter of having a double bed in your room, sharing the same communal kitchen and living area facilities as the other cadets (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). If you want something that is more of a home, renting a place a round Hamilton off your own back is not too expensive in the grand scheme of things, but obviously you will have to cover this cost yourself. Hope that helps

Mooney12
22nd Jul 2007, 12:17
Whats the situation with guys coming out of CTC at the moment??

I heard Ezy had cooled off recruitment for the time being.

Is there a hold pool building up?

kieranmp
23rd Jul 2007, 08:28
I have got mine on the 8th!?

ozman777
23rd Jul 2007, 12:04
Phase 3 on 15th August :)

stefan
23rd Jul 2007, 15:07
I have mine the 8th too!!:confused:

stefan
24th Jul 2007, 12:51
I had my phase 2 on the 4th of july

RS999
25th Jul 2007, 09:52
Stefan.....PM sent to you mate

RS999
25th Jul 2007, 10:02
Yup PAJ, thats basically what I was told by CTC. At the end of the day they can not guarantee that you will be allocated a double room so if anyone is taking their family out to NZ they'd be just as well organising other accomodation for them. On top of that, I wouldn't imagine the other guys/gals from CTC would be appreciative of a very small child making noise:{ during the night (or any other time for that matter) Although CTC did say they expect me to stay in CTC accomodation and my family to stay in their own accomodation.

CTC said to me that they prefer people not to take their family with them as they don't want us to have the extra distraction, which is fair enough but as my Wife said, is it not just as much distraction having your family on the other side of the planet????

We're sorting out accomodation for Lindy and Niamh for the duration of my time in NZ starting in January 2008 (CP57) but as my Wife's a Psychiatric Nurse she can sort everything through a Nursing Agency here in the UK. My Daughter will only be 8 months old when we go to NZ so we have child care to sort out too.

Niagra1
26th Jul 2007, 10:57
I dont know RS, Niamh could be our own mascot!

A facebook group.... hmm might have to do that for CP55..... might need to double check some of the pics on there though.... :p

Cheers

Niagra1 (Cp55)

General Zod
26th Jul 2007, 20:16
Any of you guys on this forum? If so, how did you get on??

I'm more than happy to say that I'm through to phase 4 on Aug 9th at Nursling!!

GZ (the elder statesman!!!) :)

Niagra1
27th Jul 2007, 09:51
Well done GZ, phase 4 is the fun part!

EZYramper
27th Jul 2007, 10:01
Hello mate, congratulations! (check you PM's)

I am extremely excited to announce that I passed stage 3 and then 4 the next day, which is so fun by the way! I'm on CP56 starting in Dec.

edit: CP56 not 55 sorry

General Zod
27th Jul 2007, 10:15
EZY - Hopefully see you there mate - we'll probably be the youngest and oldest of the group!!

Have replied to your PM, any gen would be spot-on!!

Virginlady
27th Jul 2007, 11:55
would just like to say thank you Streety for your detailed and useful description of each phase at CTC. very helpful and much appreciated! Am pleased to say i have passed all four stages and will be off to New Zealand.:)

virginlady

General Zod
27th Jul 2007, 12:12
As the lady above said. Hats off to this chap, we couldn't have done it without him!!!

EZYramper
27th Jul 2007, 13:18
agreed, cheers buddy!

Streety
27th Jul 2007, 15:44
No worries guys, and lady...

Enjoy your time when you get out here. I expect I'll have left these shores by the time you get here, but keep smiling and remember what the end result will be, even when it seems far off in the distance. It will be well worth it.

Keep checking the blog on cp41.net for updates...

Streety.

Shakuri
28th Jul 2007, 09:35
Hi everyone, just spent a day or so reading this thread, alot of usful information, so thanks for all that provided it.

On a personal note, I made my application yday. I am just about to start 3rd year, and hope to have passed selection by this time next year (giving myself more than ebough time don't you think) ust wondering if anyone else is in a similar mould to me at the moment?

Cheers

mallinderjb
28th Jul 2007, 12:46
Hi EZyramper, i passed stage 4 on thursday and i too am on CP56.

I can't wait, when was your phase 3/4?

James