Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Is Ukraine about to have a war?

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Is Ukraine about to have a war?

Old 8th Apr 2022, 22:52
  #4161 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A Fine City
Age: 58
Posts: 995
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
I don’t know, there are land based launchers, but did the U.K. ever invest in them? Or are we providing the missiles and someone else the launcher, or have they cobbled up a system to mount it somehow on a truck?
Seeing that nobody currently operates Harpoon as a Land based system (the Danes binned theirs nearly 20 years ago and Taiwan have only just ordered such a system in the last month). It is got to be a Lash up system if the British are giving it. Argies managed to do it with Exocet in 1982.
MAINJAFAD is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 00:26
  #4162 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 1,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MAINJAFAD
Seeing that nobody currently operates Harpoon as a Land based system (the Danes binned theirs nearly 20 years ago and Taiwan have only just ordered such a system in the last month). It is got to be a Lash up system if the British are giving it. Argies managed to do it with Exocet in 1982.
Afaik, the Harpoon can update its waypoints while en route, so the launch modality should be non critical. Satellite surveillance should allow targeting anywhere within the effective range of the missile.
etudiant is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 06:37
  #4163 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: one side of la Manche
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timelord
Does anyone know what the “ precision munitions capable of lingering in the sky until directed to a target” that the PM has promised to Ukraine are?....
Switchblade?

Batco
BATCO is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 07:14
  #4164 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,592
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MAINJAFAD
Seeing that nobody currently operates Harpoon as a Land based system (the Danes binned theirs nearly 20 years ago and Taiwan have only just ordered such a system in the last month). It is got to be a Lash up system if the British are giving it. Argies managed to do it with Exocet in 1982.
I've been informed that Babcock maintained a land-based 'reference system' to support the RN's capability and that it may be this that has been made available to the Ukrainians. But no official confirmation as far as I'm aware.

Mentioned here:

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...he-royal-navy/
dead_pan is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 08:03
  #4165 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: sussex
Age: 75
Posts: 192
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Kramatorsk station attack.
I'm puzzled as to what type of warhead this missile was carrying. Widely reported to be cluster munitions yet no obvious evidence even in footage taken just after the incident of unexploded sub-munitions or flechettes.
skridlov is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 08:46
  #4166 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gloucestershire
Age: 77
Posts: 141
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Kramatorsk station attack

I'm also puzzled by the video of what is said to be the actual missile (with the message written on the side). It seems strange to me that the device is still relatively intact, one would have thought that with the combination of the HE warhead and supersonic flight it would have been completely obliterated?
SRMman is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 09:14
  #4167 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 2,066
Received 177 Likes on 110 Posts
Just watched a Japanese TV crew interviewing a spokesman who said the deaths and injuries were cause by ‘flying fragments’ whatever that means.
jolihokistix is online now  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 09:30
  #4168 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: back out to Grasse
Posts: 557
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
I suspect that they mean Shrapnel

IG
Imagegear is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 09:34
  #4169 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A Fine City
Age: 58
Posts: 995
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dead_pan
I've been informed that Babcock maintained a land-based 'reference system' to support the RN's capability and that it may be this that has been made available to the Ukrainians. But no official confirmation as far as I'm aware.

Mentioned here:

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...he-royal-navy/
Makes sense and such systems do exist just north of Portsmouth (Type 42 and Type 45 systems on a Hill!!!). No requirement for jury rigging if a containerised system already exists,
MAINJAFAD is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 09:38
  #4170 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 33,548
Received 3,300 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by SRMman
I'm also puzzled by the video of what is said to be the actual missile (with the message written on the side). It seems strange to me that the device is still relatively intact, one would have thought that with the combination of the HE warhead and supersonic flight it would have been completely obliterated?
I thought they said there was more than one missile, possibly three? So the one on the grass was possibly a dud. Or the delivery section.

Last edited by NutLoose; 9th Apr 2022 at 09:50.
NutLoose is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 09:46
  #4171 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 350/3 Compton
Age: 76
Posts: 815
Received 467 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
I don’t know, there are land based launchers, but did the U.K. ever invest in them? Or are we providing the missiles and someone else the launcher, or have they cobbled up a system to mount it somehow on a truck?


Here is one they prepared earlier! Wheelbarrow mounted Exocet in the Falklands 1982.
Mog
Mogwi is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 10:05
  #4172 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: A Fine City
Age: 58
Posts: 995
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jolihokistix
Just watched a Japanese TV crew interviewing a spokesman who said the deaths and injuries were cause by ‘flying fragments’ whatever that means.
This missile has a Cluster Munition warhead which deploys said warheads around 2500 Metres from the target. As soon as it deploys those warheads, the rest of the airframe tumbles and decelerates rapidly (most likely breaking up in flight as it does so). Remains that don't go bang hit the ground at quite low velocities. The bomblets are Blast Frag.

https://armamentresearch.com/9n123k-...ions-in-syria/
MAINJAFAD is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 10:53
  #4173 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,592
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MAINJAFAD
This missile has a Cluster Munition warhead which deploys said warheads around 2500 Metres from the target. As soon as it deploys those warheads, the rest of the airframe tumbles and decelerates rapidly (most likely breaking up in flight as it does so). Remains that don't go bang hit the ground at quite low velocities. The bomblets are Blast Frag.

https://armamentresearch.com/9n123k-...ions-in-syria/
If this was the weapon used it was clearly was a deliberate attempt to kill as civilians as possible. Given the numbers said to be present at the station when it hit its a miracle more were not killed or injured.
dead_pan is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 12:20
  #4174 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 75' from the runway edge and 150' from the threshold
Age: 74
Posts: 249
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Hope anyone tanking from RAFAIR 9916 have got their sun visors down!!
ACW342 is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 12:33
  #4175 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 33,548
Received 3,300 Likes on 1,377 Posts
So having a Harpoon set up delivered, I take it the Russian fleet will need to pull right back where they will be pretty none effective? And the suspected possible combined land and sea invasion of the ports is now out of the question?
NutLoose is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 13:39
  #4176 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: UK
Posts: 124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
So having a Harpoon set up delivered, I take it the Russian fleet will need to pull right back where they will be pretty none effective? And the suspected possible combined land and sea invasion of the ports is now out of the question?
Kalibr has a reported range something in the area of 1500km , compared to harpoon (if they are there) in the region of 150km. I doubt that any harpoon has been delivered , but it could be true rumor and perhaps makes sure that the russian navy keeps a good distance (negating their intelligence and anti-air role).

If by ports you mean Odesa that is simply not gonna happen , it is pretty much surrounded by marshland with land and sea access very limited. Rus forces cannot really launch any serious amphibious attack since two of their 'landing' ships are sunk\damaged. For the land the only real appoach is over the Bug river , hence the big push on Mikoliev that failed , leaving really no easy access.

Indeed there is a lot of chatter on UKR telegram channels that UAF will attempt to liberate Kherson in the next days, I think that is optimistic, and not sure even that it is sensible, Kahkova ( next Dnipr bridge) is more strategic, and much smaller , plus Kherson is tying down a ton of rus occupation troops for no real effect right now.

**edited to add** Kakova is much more important as the bridge there is part of the Dnipr dam, the russians cannot really blow the bridge without a lot of trouble, and catastrophe, and essentially destroying the 'crimea water channel' which they want so much and orginates there. Attack kherson and the 2 or 3 BTGs there will withdraw over the river, blow the bridge, and be available to reinforce eastwards. What would you do ...

Last edited by Usertim; 9th Apr 2022 at 13:57.
Usertim is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 14:11
  #4177 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Co. Down
Age: 83
Posts: 847
Received 253 Likes on 81 Posts
Let's agree Harpoon is obsolete and useless, and other missiles are not available. When (hopefully) the RF loses another ship there can be no doubt it was hit by one of their own missiles, just as the Ukrainians are shelling their own cities ...
Geriaviator is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 16:28
  #4178 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 33,548
Received 3,300 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Slovakia has delivered a complete S3100 battery to Ukraine, it’s got to be getting dodgy flying over Ukraine for the Russians.


Last edited by Senior Pilot; 10th Apr 2022 at 06:16. Reason: Slovakia, not Slovenia
NutLoose is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 18:38
  #4179 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhone-Alpes
Posts: 1,232
Received 349 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Slovenia has delivered a complete S3100 battery to Ukraine, it’s got to be getting dodgy flying over Ukraine for the Russians.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status...01106072178696
According to Forbes:

" Ukraine had around 100 active batteries of S-300 long-range air-defense systems with as many as 300 launchers when Russia widened its war in the country starting the night of Feb. 23.Seven weeks later, the Russians have knocked out at least 21 of the S-300 launchers that outside analysts have confirmed with photos or videos. Even if the actual total of destroyed launchers is higher—and it almost certainly is—it’s not hard to understand why the Russian air force still is losing a startling number of aircraft."

so although useful, it's probably more of a symbol than anything.
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2022, 19:07
  #4180 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: England
Posts: 21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multinationalism at its best!
ICATQ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.