PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2022, 13:39
Usertim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
So having a Harpoon set up delivered, I take it the Russian fleet will need to pull right back where they will be pretty none effective? And the suspected possible combined land and sea invasion of the ports is now out of the question?
Kalibr has a reported range something in the area of 1500km , compared to harpoon (if they are there) in the region of 150km. I doubt that any harpoon has been delivered , but it could be true rumor and perhaps makes sure that the russian navy keeps a good distance (negating their intelligence and anti-air role).

If by ports you mean Odesa that is simply not gonna happen , it is pretty much surrounded by marshland with land and sea access very limited. Rus forces cannot really launch any serious amphibious attack since two of their 'landing' ships are sunk\damaged. For the land the only real appoach is over the Bug river , hence the big push on Mikoliev that failed , leaving really no easy access.

Indeed there is a lot of chatter on UKR telegram channels that UAF will attempt to liberate Kherson in the next days, I think that is optimistic, and not sure even that it is sensible, Kahkova ( next Dnipr bridge) is more strategic, and much smaller , plus Kherson is tying down a ton of rus occupation troops for no real effect right now.

**edited to add** Kakova is much more important as the bridge there is part of the Dnipr dam, the russians cannot really blow the bridge without a lot of trouble, and catastrophe, and essentially destroying the 'crimea water channel' which they want so much and orginates there. Attack kherson and the 2 or 3 BTGs there will withdraw over the river, blow the bridge, and be available to reinforce eastwards. What would you do ...

Last edited by Usertim; 9th Apr 2022 at 13:57.