Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 6th May 2023, 14:54
  #3421 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: International Space Station
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunner747400
It's not an outlier either. Heard of heaps of people getting as late as Q4 '25. Yet they claim it is all based on merit... Yeah right.

Anyways, most have applied to Virgin, and will probably get back into mainline quicker.
Merit... yeah right.... I'd say with the most recent release, it was who had the brownest nose or was the squeakiest wheel

Want to move across quickest? Be the biggest pain the butt... or simply kiss the most butt.
major_tom is offline  
Old 6th May 2023, 22:42
  #3422 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cans
Posts: 139
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by major_tom
Merit... yeah right.... I'd say with the most recent release, it was who had the brownest nose or was the squeakiest wheel

Want to move across quickest? Be the biggest pain the butt... or simply kiss the most butt.
Iím sure you will happy to discuss this with the people concerned to their face eh
hillbillybob is offline  
Old 6th May 2023, 22:42
  #3423 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 47
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Qantas have no idea whatís happening next month let alone 2025 and beyond. The revision in training vacancies proved that.

Qlink have you by the balls regardless. Thereís no reason for them to let you go any sooner whilst an exodus is slowly starting to happen. A small but insignificant carrot can be dangled with a ďMAINLINE START DATEĒ but all that causes is a shift in an already sub par morale, when those with years of service get pushed aside for those who brownnose their way to the earlier start.

The one thing that they canít control is the move to VA, personally itís a no brainer for those who have been unsuccessful with QF.

If youíre on the hold and waiting for dates, thereís nothing you can do. Itís not like your waiting for the golden ticket. Youíre joining a seniority list at the bottom - potentially after many years working within the group. On a B scale contract earning less than what youíre now with the hopes of getting a command again is slim.



Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 6th May 2023, 23:01
  #3424 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 444
Received 141 Likes on 35 Posts
If your ultimate goal is to work at mainline, join a Qantas subsidiary and youíll just c*ck-block yourself.

Has been happening for years, and now the shortage is biting, itís only going to get worse. I know someone on the internal hold who has been waiting overt 5 years now.

Donít take a subsidiary job at QLink or NJS. Just go to Rex and youíll walk straight in to mainline.
Slippery_Pete is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 7th May 2023, 01:10
  #3425 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 657
Received 87 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Slippery_Pete
I know someone on the internal hold who has been waiting overt 5 years now.
A position on the hold file has never guaranteed a start date. As better candidates are placed in the hold file, you may find they are offered start dates ahead of you.

5yrs may be a sign they arenít very competitive. I donít believe the subsidiaries are holding anyone for that long. No one is that valuable to them?
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 7th May 2023, 03:31
  #3426 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 211
Received 146 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Fujiroll76
Qantas have no idea whatís happening next month let alone 2025 and beyond. The revision in training vacancies proved that.

Qlink have you by the balls regardless. Thereís no reason for them to let you go any sooner whilst an exodus is slowly starting to happen. A small but insignificant carrot can be dangled with a ďMAINLINE START DATEĒ but all that causes is a shift in an already sub par morale, when those with years of service get pushed aside for those who brownnose their way to the earlier start.

The one thing that they canít control is the move to VA, personally itís a no brainer for those who have been unsuccessful with QF.

If youíre on the hold and waiting for dates, thereís nothing you can do. Itís not like your waiting for the golden ticket. Youíre joining a seniority list at the bottom - potentially after many years working within the group. On a B scale contract earning less than what youíre now with the hopes of getting a command again is slim.
If you're a skipper in a subsidiary, yeah sure, you will earn less as an SO. What's a Dash8 skipper earn? Can't be a massive decrease (or at all) to move across to 787 SO?

Any FO in any subsidiary will earn the same if not more if they move across to a QF SO position. JQ might be a small pay drop but you'll be working 1/2 to 1/3 as hard.
soseg is offline  
Old 7th May 2023, 05:09
  #3427 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 784
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by soseg
If you're a skipper in a subsidiary, yeah sure, you will earn less as an SO. What's a Dash8 skipper earn? Can't be a massive decrease (or at all) to move across to 787 SO?

Any FO in any subsidiary will earn the same if not more if they move across to a QF SO position. JQ might be a small pay drop but you'll be working 1/2 to 1/3 as hard.
Those heading to or interested in VA are going partly because theyíre sick of only getting 8 days off a roster along with the ever-dwindling lifestyle.
Going Nowhere is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 7th May 2023, 10:49
  #3428 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your start date 2025?
Passthepopcorn is offline  
Old 7th May 2023, 12:08
  #3429 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: AU
Posts: 242
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HotelUniformYankee
I know of someone who got the yes in November and starting this month or next.
What fleet? Were they external?
On Guard is offline  
Old 7th May 2023, 23:22
  #3430 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by On Guard
What fleet? Were they external?
Not sure on fleet but was external.
HotelUniformYankee is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 09:24
  #3431 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Why would someone on a hold file be given a seniority number ?

If Qlink to mainline is done on "merit" just means those who start latest scored lowest in test/interview

Easy to blame others , talk about "its brown nosing" all some kind of a conspiracy by the company

Than accept personal responsibility for you own performance & own score

The fact that you might be starting Q4 2025 because you got really very average scores & thus ranking

That you will be 100s below other QF link guys on seniority & career earnings will be lower - based on your scored performance in both testing & interview


Don't you think QF would have themselves covered off in this regard , to protect themselves against those who might get on the blower to Solicitor

Keep in mind only about 25% of externals got a test & they then had to get 4/5 to proceed (not 1/5 for internals) & then also had to do a sim


Goodness me what whining Princesses - "there is just no respect" , boo hoo hoo

If you had to compete on open footing with externals the majority would have got smoked
Makiko is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 10:30
  #3432 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 32
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Makiko
Why would someone on a hold file be given a seniority number ?

If Qlink to mainline is done on "merit" just means those who start latest scored lowest in test/interview

Easy to blame others , talk about "its brown nosing" all some kind of a conspiracy by the company

Than accept personal responsibility for you own performance & own score

The fact that you might be starting Q4 2025 because you got really very average scores & thus ranking

That you will be 100s below other QF link guys on seniority & career earnings will be lower - based on your scored performance in both testing & interview


Don't you think QF would have themselves covered off in this regard , to protect themselves against those who might get on the blower to Solicitor

Keep in mind only about 25% of externals got a test & they then had to get 4/5 to proceed (not 1/5 for internals) & then also had to do a sim


Goodness me what whining Princesses - "there is just no respect" , boo hoo hoo

If you had to compete on open footing with externals the majority would have got smoked
Champ QF recruiting does not rank applicants internally, they either pass the selection screening or they don’t. We do apply criteria when we filter applicants who are externals at the start. (I.e. last round we favoured externals with heavy jet time returning expats etc.)

what does happen when internals are successful is they get placed on the hold file and need to be released by their subsidiary. This is when guys n girls get bypassed by more junior colleagues or get held back because they are hard to replace. This is where an increasing distrust and disengagement from our pilot cohort is emerging.

edit: by allocating a seniority number early a persons career would not suffer if they were held back

your argument above is not correct.

dashtrash.
DashTrash. is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 10:49
  #3433 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 333
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to confirm, you are on the QF recruitment team, and when hiring interals, there hasn't been or isn't any ranking of successful applicants?
TimmyTee is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 8th May 2023, 10:50
  #3434 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You would be the one that is 100% incorrect

In 2022 there was a different standard applied for internals - which was effectively "no standard" with regard aptitude
if you got 1/5 still got interview , same standard of 4/5 applied in the 2016 & 2018 intakes equally to externals & internals

2018 ; All internals got test only 25% of internals did - same for 2022 - 75% of externals didn't even get to compete

So a ton of internal 1/5 scorers attended mainline interviews & got on various hold files to move to mainline

They didn't even get the required score to get a job with their own subsidiary which is 3/5

So if I was an internal and got the mighty 1/5 & turned up at QF mainline & said "Wheres me job ?" & managed to get on the Hold file
I would be pretty happy . Have to look in the mirror & understand that you wouldn't have had a snowflakes chance in hell competing on the "open market"

Clearly their are two different standards for mainline entry , externals much higher performance required & more elements

Don't you know anyone on the mainline interview panel , they were getting sick of subsidiary pilots turning up with 1/5 & lousy attitudes & average employee
performance at subsid - still had to hire them
Makiko is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 11:11
  #3435 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 32
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Makiko
You would be the one that is 100% incorrect

In 2022 there was a different standard applied for internals - which was effectively "no standard" with regard aptitude
if you got 1/5 still got interview , same standard of 4/5 applied in the 2016 & 2018 intakes equally to externals & internals

2018 ; All internals got test only 25% of internals did - same for 2022 - 75% of externals didn't even get to compete

So a ton of internal 1/5 scorers attended mainline interviews & got on various hold files to move to mainline

They didn't even get the required score to get a job with their own subsidiary which is 3/5

So if I was an internal and got the mighty 1/5 & turned up at QF mainline & said "Wheres me job ?" & managed to get on the Hold file
I would be pretty happy . Have to look in the mirror & understand that you wouldn't have had a snowflakes chance in hell competing on the "open market"

Clearly their are two different standards for mainline entry , externals much higher performance required & more elements

Don't you know anyone on the mainline interview panel , they were getting sick of subsidiary pilots turning up with 1/5 & lousy attitudes & average employee
performance at subsid - still had to hire them
Mate, Aviation isnít fair, sometimes you win some. Sometimes you lose some. If you got knocked back and have an axe to grind, I get it that sucks but you got to move on. Only your career will suffer for it!

I can guarantee all applicants are held to the same standard regardless of external or internal candidates and no one gives a toss after day one of induction where you came from.

When accessing a candidate however, Internal candidates can provide a lot more information due to HR already having access to their initial testing. Work record and sim profile. And thereís no reason someone who passed their interview the first time canít pass again. Especially considering in most instances it is the same interview and as what is being done now.

to answer the other dudes question, we may have ranked internals in the past but definitely have not ranked in the last 7 years. Any shit****ery you have experienced is mainly due to your own subsidiary.

Dashtrash.
DashTrash. is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 11:19
  #3436 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 128
Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts
Is this a recruitment thread or a lesson in fractionsÖ.. youíre making no senseÖ.

I know for sure that internals get held back and released when the subsidiary can afford to let them go, which is essentially never these days.
A320 Flyer is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 11:32
  #3437 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't care if the internals get negative scores & externals have to get 6/5

QF can do what they like & never hire an external again, wouldn't seem particularly fair to ADF Pilots

Just pointing out how it works

Internals: 100 % get test, required score 1/5 & proceed to interview

Externals: 25% get test , required score 4/5 & proceed to interview

How is the initial interview that an internal did to join the internal remotely relevant ?

"No reason can't pass interview again"

Agreed but that isn't really the challenge, the challenge is getting to the interview

& another barrier for externals has been set up now that QF mainline will have an annual intake for internals only

Some subsids release by seniority & others rank by "merit" - that would be your scores . So if you got Q4 , 2025 that would
likely at (merit based subsid) , just means your scores are pretty low & that is not the companies fault. & it isn't a CIA conspiracy
either simply means from the cohort at your subsid - you scored poorly

It doesn't bother of phase me in any way

Why oh why does the "narrative" persist with all of this Silly Billy stuff ? Conspiracy , go work for Virgin/Rex will make it easier , brown nosing deals

Yes I should go off join Virgin so when QF open to externals (which is when ??) , as opposed to internal only process in January 2024 .Then I can submit my application
& I will have a 25% chance of getting a test & maybe a 50% chance of getting through. Lets do that in a couple of years , that is such a better idea than staying at my subsid doing test (that is an "entitlement") in Jan 2024 scoring zero and then proceeding (another entitlement) to interview & likely at least 85% chance of success

You are miles ahead of me Sherlock

Last edited by Makiko; 8th May 2023 at 11:57.
Makiko is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 12:29
  #3438 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 2,384
Received 177 Likes on 78 Posts
As I’ve stated in a different thread, assigning a seniority number prior to starting would require a change to the LH EBA in my understanding. It’s not a simple fix.
morno is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 12:49
  #3439 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
But why would internals get a seniority number when externals do not

Is not having "exclusive" application processes for internals only, no sim, entitlement
to final interview , guaranteed selection into process, entitlement to interview with 1/5 test score
enough of an advantage ?

It doesn't take a lot of working out to figure if you want mainline join a subsidiary & that's why at least 50% of SO have come from subsids

& the deck of cards got moved their way even closer with test score not considered for interview & now exclusive "internal only" annual hiring process to mainline

Humbly apologise for suggesting against "the narrative" , Yr humble Serf

Last edited by Makiko; 8th May 2023 at 13:16.
Makiko is offline  
Old 8th May 2023, 13:53
  #3440 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HotelUniformYankee
Not sure on fleet but was external.
were these the VA737 and Cathay guys?
Gooffie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.