Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 27th Mar 2024, 02:19
  #4421 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 103
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
I think the first A321 commands are slated to be type transfers not promotions as the fleet is introduced, and I don't think there'll be too many in total to start with (I believe only 3 A321s arriving next by the end of next FY). So yes the majority of SH commands will still be slated to be 737 for the next few years, until the A321 hits a critical mass then will become the majority.

But they'll probably still need new pilots onto the 737 as more will leave for LH, and I think it's safe to say they'll still be training pilots onto the 737 in the 2030s. They were training pilots onto the B744 in the late 2010s with that fleet nearing retirement.
Regarding the 737, people joining towards the 2030ís will need to be cautious as there is no RIN process SH.

Given what management are saying, there should be work for all 737 pilots on the A321 with the increase in back of the clock flying even with a lower amount of airframes.

The 747 pilots at least had the RIN process to fall back on. Based upon management history with subsidiaries who knows what will happen with the remaining 737 pilots (if any are left) at the end of the fleet replacement.
transition_alt is offline  
Old 27th Mar 2024, 02:44
  #4422 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 305
Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts
Thereís a ďkinda RINĒ where surplus 737 crew get first dibs at the 321. I wouldnt be too stressed about not having a seat to go to if youíre on the 737.
cloudsurfng is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by cloudsurfng:
Old 27th Mar 2024, 07:33
  #4423 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Somewhere better soon
Posts: 68
Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by transition_alt
Regarding the 737, people joining towards the 2030ís will need to be cautious as there is no RIN process SH.

I think thatís jumping at shadows and thereís an awful lot that could occur between now and then.
Thumb War is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Thumb War:
Old 27th Mar 2024, 12:33
  #4424 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 743
Likes: 0
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Can someone please explain what RIN means?

Reduction in numbers. Got it

Last edited by Climb150; 27th Mar 2024 at 19:23.
Climb150 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 16th Apr 2024, 22:25
  #4425 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 67
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The recruitment process is a heck of a long ride. All to be rounded out with a sim in the 76 in the later evening.

I don't quite agree with the sim being so late, I was in recently and had been up since 3a.m for a flight that morning and obviously with the pre interview nerves and jitters certainly don't think that my best foot was put forward when it came to what is indeed a taxing sim ride. (Yes yes, people will say have a sleep, but tough to do when you're nervous)

Along with the thousands of dollars applicants put forward for those that aren't Bris based in money towards a suit, accom, travel and of course the need to take a couple of sick days because rosters don't always align!

Can say though, that ALL the people encountered in the Qantas hiring department where superb individuals. I hope if they read this they can pat themselves on the back.

After my sim ride I expect a thanks but no thanks , really not too confident, but I bloody well hope that consideration is placed on the efforts that some people go to to put a good foot forward and/or the time of day that the sim is utilized. I myself was already at the back end of a very long day.

​​​​​It would be interesting to know if anyone could say or hypothesize the attrition rates at various stages and what the process is for final selection, I'd have thought that the HR panel interview would hold considerable weight when outcomes where delivered? If we are all pilots there is already an acumen to be able to fly or at least a proven record of an adaptability to comply with SOP's etc. (& not hand fly on steam gauges a jet)

Skippy69 is offline  
Old 17th Apr 2024, 00:40
  #4426 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: At work
Posts: 42
Received 91 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Skippy69
The recruitment process is a heck of a long ride. All to be rounded out with a sim in the 76 in the later evening.

I don't quite agree with the sim being so late, I was in recently and had been up since 3a.m for a flight that morning and obviously with the pre interview nerves and jitters certainly don't think that my best foot was put forward when it came to what is indeed a taxing sim ride. (Yes yes, people will say have a sleep, but tough to do when you're nervous)

Along with the thousands of dollars applicants put forward for those that aren't Bris based in money towards a suit, accom, travel and of course the need to take a couple of sick days because rosters don't always align!

Can say though, that ALL the people encountered in the Qantas hiring department where superb individuals. I hope if they read this they can pat themselves on the back.

After my sim ride I expect a thanks but no thanks , really not too confident, but I bloody well hope that consideration is placed on the efforts that some people go to to put a good foot forward and/or the time of day that the sim is utilized. I myself was already at the back end of a very long day.

​​​​​It would be interesting to know if anyone could say or hypothesize the attrition rates at various stages and what the process is for final selection, I'd have thought that the HR panel interview would hold considerable weight when outcomes where delivered? If we are all pilots there is already an acumen to be able to fly or at least a proven record of an adaptability to comply with SOP's etc. (& not hand fly on steam gauges a jet)
As a pilot, we focus on the sim. As a HR self licking ice cream driven process, the focus is on your non technical and interpersonal skills plus interview preparation.

I wouldnít stress too much about the sim. As long as you showed an improvement from start to finish (demonstrating a rate of learning) which means you can be trained, then youíll be okay.


Big Silver Spoon is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 17th Apr 2024, 01:10
  #4427 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 323
Received 371 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Silver Spoon
I wouldn’t stress too much about the sim
Cant break any hard rules like going below minima, etc
soseg is offline  
Old 17th Apr 2024, 05:59
  #4428 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: AU
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Skippy69
The recruitment process is a heck of a long ride. All to be rounded out with a sim in the 76 in the later evening.

I don't quite agree with the sim being so late, I was in recently and had been up since 3a.m for a flight that morning and obviously with the pre interview nerves and jitters certainly don't think that my best foot was put forward when it came to what is indeed a taxing sim ride. (Yes yes, people will say have a sleep, but tough to do when you're nervous)

Along with the thousands of dollars applicants put forward for those that aren't Bris based in money towards a suit, accom, travel and of course the need to take a couple of sick days because rosters don't always align!

Can say though, that ALL the people encountered in the Qantas hiring department where superb individuals. I hope if they read this they can pat themselves on the back.

After my sim ride I expect a thanks but no thanks , really not too confident, but I bloody well hope that consideration is placed on the efforts that some people go to to put a good foot forward and/or the time of day that the sim is utilized. I myself was already at the back end of a very long day.

​​​​​It would be interesting to know if anyone could say or hypothesize the attrition rates at various stages and what the process is for final selection, I'd have thought that the HR panel interview would hold considerable weight when outcomes where delivered? If we are all pilots there is already an acumen to be able to fly or at least a proven record of an adaptability to comply with SOP's etc. (& not hand fly on steam gauges a jet)
Did you have to do it that day? For me I did it a few weeks later. Went home did some prep etc??
On Guard is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2024, 08:12
  #4429 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The start of the middle of nowhere...
Age: 33
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I’ve just been through the assessment day process. We couldn’t actually do the sims straight away, as the sim had broken, and they were trying to get more slots/assessors organised to clear the backlog. (I don’t think there was anyone local on my day - one from US, couple flew in from NZ, Perth etc).

But they did say it doesn’t matter when you do your sim with regards to the hold file - it is based purely on the date you attended the assessment centre. And we were on week 7 of an 18 month recruitment process.
flyingkea is offline  
Old 7th May 2024, 14:29
  #4430 (permalink)  
Ck.
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gday,
Hoping anyone could provide their two cents.

Recently got the nod from VA with a potential start date in the next month or two.
Had an interview with mainline recently ( which I havenít even heard back yet ) . Wondering if itís worth turning down VA for a potential start date with mainline in 2026-27(if Iím successful )
Iím an internal applicant hence the super far start date.
Ck. is offline  
Old 7th May 2024, 21:42
  #4431 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 103
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ck.
Gday,
Hoping anyone could provide their two cents.

Recently got the nod from VA with a potential start date in the next month or two.
Had an interview with mainline recently ( which I havenít even heard back yet ) . Wondering if itís worth turning down VA for a potential start date with mainline in 2026-27(if Iím successful )
Iím an internal applicant hence the super far start date.
It depends where you want your career path to end up.

if youíve done the mainline recruitment a while ago and havenít heard yet, youíll likely be given the nod. The olí no news is good news trick. They tell you pretty quickly if youíre out.

VA has a ďyoungĒ demographic of pilots, so time to command is increasing and youíll probably be looking at 20 odd years as theyíve been recruiting massively.

QF has an ďoldĒ demographic of pilots, with many retiring in upcoming years and potential new fleet expansion with the A350. Current command time frames on the 737 are decreasing very quickly.

So if itís career progression youíre after, QF is the way to go. If itís variety, QF is the way to go.

If itís domestic, flying 737s with long upgrade times and no look at expansion, VA all the way.

As for pay, the earning potential is much greater at QF. Especially if you were to take 737 day 1.

Honestly no biased opinions. Thatís just the way I see it at the moment.
transition_alt is offline  
Old 7th May 2024, 22:32
  #4432 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 589
Received 319 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Ck.
Gday,
Hoping anyone could provide their two cents.

Recently got the nod from VA with a potential start date in the next month or two.
Had an interview with mainline recently ( which I havenít even heard back yet ) . Wondering if itís worth turning down VA for a potential start date with mainline in 2026-27(if Iím successful )
Iím an internal applicant hence the super far start date.
This depends on which entity youíre with.

NJS you simply will not get released due to massive expansion coming combined with the inability to hire people due to poor pay. You would be significantly financially better off accepting Virgin and re-applying for mainline as an external.

Network Aviation will be similar but not as bad as NJS as they are not expanding and will likely shrink.

QLink maybe worth staying as they can hire cadets to replace people.

Jetstar might be ok for the same reason as above.
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 8th May 2024, 13:02
  #4433 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Auckland
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retirement rates

Any idea how many pilots on average are retiring per annum over the next 10 years or so?
TimeOnType is online now  
Old 8th May 2024, 21:32
  #4434 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NSW
Posts: 121
Received 300 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Ck.
Gday,
Hoping anyone could provide their two cents.

Recently got the nod from VA with a potential start date in the next month or two.
Had an interview with mainline recently ( which I havenít even heard back yet ) . Wondering if itís worth turning down VA for a potential start date with mainline in 2026-27(if Iím successful )
Iím an internal applicant hence the super far start date.
I had this scenario with QANTAS years ago. Was about to be bonded by another airline and had a start date with them. Called QF recruitment and explained. Had my QF start date a week later. Give them a call. If they want you they will need to make a decision.
Gas Chamber is offline  
Old 8th May 2024, 21:53
  #4435 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Richmond
Age: 70
Posts: 172
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gas Chamber
I had this scenario with QANTAS years ago. Was about to be bonded by another airline and had a start date with them. Called QF recruitment and explained. Had my QF start date a week later. Give them a call. If they want you they will need to make a decision.

Whoever gave you that start date made an extremely bad call then.
If you had gone to the other airline, you wouldnít be in the pain that you seem to be in these days.
JamieMaree is offline  
Old 8th May 2024, 23:20
  #4436 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 164
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeOnType
Any idea how many pilots on average are retiring per annum over the next 10 years or so?
These are just those that reach 65, but may not retire, Some, but not many, make their way from LongHaul to ShortHaul once 65. Next 10 years.

2024-24
2025-33
2026-50
2027-65
2028-58
2029-75
2030-55
2031-76
2032-65
2033-82
2034-91

Many will retire younger than 65, so I'd suspect the numbers above would be less than actual retirments.

At the moment seniority numbers are into the 3000's, however from around number 1200 you need to remove 1/3rd of the numbers as every 3rd number is a JQ MOU number (which are not all that relevant anymore, as there arent many left in JQ that are elidgable to take one) so in the 1800 numbers is really only 1200 people.


Chad Gates is offline  
Old 9th May 2024, 01:13
  #4437 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gas Chamber
I had this scenario with QANTAS years ago. Was about to be bonded by another airline and had a start date with them. Called QF recruitment and explained. Had my QF start date a week later. Give them a call. If they want you they will need to make a decision.
I'm glad that approach worked out for you in 1999. In the current hiring environment this is just bad advice.

For internal candidates, remember there is a two year moratorium before being eligible for re-hire within the group.
mig3 is online now  
Old 9th May 2024, 01:16
  #4438 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: australia
Posts: 35
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mig3
I'm glad that approach worked out for you in 1999. In the current hiring environment this is just bad advice.

For internal candidates, remember there is a two year moratorium before being eligible for re-hire within the group.

I thought it was 18 months?
roundhouse is offline  
Old 9th May 2024, 01:19
  #4439 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NSW
Posts: 121
Received 300 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by mig3
I'm glad that approach worked out for you in 1999. In the current hiring environment this is just bad advice.

For internal candidates, remember there is a two year moratorium before being eligible for re-hire within the group.
It doesnít need to be a hard conversation. Just explain your situation and be polite.
I didnít put ANY pressure on them, just made an inquiry about my application and expected timeframe.
QF are very sneaky with the treatment of internal applications. Itís not right.
Gas Chamber is offline  
Old 9th May 2024, 01:23
  #4440 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gas Chamber
QF are very sneaky with the treatment of internal applications. Itís not right.
This is true, I agree.
mig3 is online now  
The following users liked this post:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.