PDA

View Full Version : Southend-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Fletch
18th Jul 2018, 23:51
Having just tried to use the Stobart/Flybe service out of SEN it would appear that the wheels have well and truly followed off, with both operators also seeming to have lost the plot. Was this just bad luck or is this more endemic of problems with their operation out of SEN?
Hefty delays, positioners, cancellations and offloads could easily cost over £50k if everybody makes a claim on just 3 routes tonight.
Credit to the SEN staff on the ground who worked tirelessly despite no support from Flybe. Quite shocking how bad Flybe customer support actually was. And then there were the Taxi drivers....Back to Easy from LGW & STN.

tophat27dt
19th Jul 2018, 05:21
Having just tried to use the Stobart/Flybe service out of SEN it would appear that the wheels have well and truly followed off, with both operators also seeming to have lost the plot. Was this just bad luck or is this more endemic of problems with their operation out of SEN?
Hefty delays, positioners, cancellations and offloads could easily cost over £50k if everybody makes a claim on just 3 routes tonight.
Credit to the SEN staff on the ground who worked tirelessly despite no support from Flybe. Quite shocking how bad Flybe customer support actually was. And then there were the Taxi drivers....Back to Easy from LGW & STN.
I agree the airport taxi company is a disgrace, and I found the crazy drop off car park stressful to use, especially when one only has 3 or 4 minutes to escape through the exit barrier and is sitting in a queue of 5 cars and the front one is blocking everybody because their precious free minutes have expired. FlyBe do seem to be having a continued unlucky run of unserviceabilities with their fleet with no back up aircraft. I often wonder if Stobart Air will one day terminate their agreement with them and find a new partner airline.

AirportPlanner1
19th Jul 2018, 06:27
Er....it’s Stobart doing the flying, if anyone is going to do any dumping it’s BE. Though, as I’ve said before, it’s a bit of a mess because the E195s were BE aircraft.

I did find their ops decisions a bit odd....no idea why MAN couldn’t have operated on time. It could have gone to MAN and back and the GLA flight still wouldn’t have gone out much later than it did, or it could have been sent to Groningen on its return this avoiding cancellation with the EIR replacement flown in from Cork doing GLA. They must have had the crew around to do that.

On the positive side GLA must have had a good load fit there to be 30 or so left behind.

AirportPlanner1
19th Jul 2018, 22:07
More disruption today. The problem E195 from yesterday is still sick about 30 hours later. The afternoon DUB went out late, the return leg was operated by an ATR and the E195 came back empty. The evening DUB was a couple of hours late, MAN and Groningen delayed as well, and GLA was divided into two ATRs.

So 4 ATRs at the moment rather than the normal two

Fletch
19th Jul 2018, 22:35
I appreciate the effect that being a jet airframe down must have on their operation, but passengers getting home 27 hours late on domestic flights isn’t a good long term business strategy. Lots of people on phones rearranging meetings, etc. Stobart really need to get a grip quickly on their flight ops. As an aside, I actually found the airport quite user friendly, perhaps lacking hotel accommodation slightly and customer service staff but overall a decent airport I thought.

Expressflight
20th Jul 2018, 08:11
The Stobart Air SEN operational performance is totally unacceptable at the moment. To announce over three hour delays on the second and third DUB rotations today some eight hours in advance is not the way to go. If you have a seriously unserviceable E195 then you must sub something in and that doesn't mean adding an extra ATR as a sticking plaster. Finding sub capacity at this time of year can be difficult but it's not impossible and they should be doing just that.

Barling Magna
20th Jul 2018, 09:26
It's the sort of amateurishness that SEN was plagued with back in the early 70s - for goodness sake get a grip Stobart and lease in a replacement airframe to act as a standby. The school holidays start tomorrow...........

EI-BUD
20th Jul 2018, 10:31
With Ryanair coming into SEN, and easyJet well established there, you can take it that the need for Stobart(/Flybe) scheduled services will be less necessary. I don't see (/IMHO) this Stobart/Flybe arrangement continuing for long.

I see Stobart (/if they don't join forces with Cityjet/Nostrum, going fully into ACMI. This is again IMHO where their future opportunity from an airline perspective lies, I.e. ACMI, whether they join or not (Cityjet will pursue the EI R contract and this will bring a further need to assess their synergies).

I'm going slightly off topic above, but what does all this mean in the context of these reliability issues, it means their BE contract ends next year(??) And this is not their top priority.

Expressflight
20th Jul 2018, 11:59
The persistently troublesome E195, G-FBEF, seems to have gone to the Embraer facility at LIS this morning for rectification work. Whether this means that a replacement will temporarily be obtained from somewhere or that the delays will continue over the weekend only time will tell.

fjencl
20th Jul 2018, 14:49
With Ryanair coming into SEN, and easyJet well established there, you can take it that the need for Stobart(/Flybe) scheduled services will be less necessary. I don't see (/IMHO) this Stobart/Flybe arrangement continuing for long.

I see Stobart (/if they don't join forces with Cityjet/Nostrum, going fully into ACMI. This is again IMHO where their future opportunity from an airline perspective lies, I.e. ACMI, whether they join or not (Cityjet will pursue the EI R contract and this will bring a further need to assess their synergies).

I'm going slightly off topic above, but what does all this mean in the context of these reliability issues, it means their BE contract ends next year(??) And this is not their top priority.

How long do they have the EI R contract for.......??????

AirportPlanner1
20th Jul 2018, 16:01
EI-BUD is right in that the operation is less necessary, especially with duplication of various routes. The ATR operation is more compelling though because fulfills a different function to anything FR/EZY would ever bring to the table and it seems to tick along nicely. It’s also a significantly more reliable part of the operation than the Embraers, in fact I’ve found that where’s there’s problems it’s mostly because of an E195 going tech and an ATR then gets sent to Glasgow or Dublin.

mik3bravo
22nd Jul 2018, 07:26
Is there an issue with that E195 setup which requires supervisory probing by the IAA or CAA?

Clearly Stobart have a significant serious issue revolving around that E195 going tech with high frequency.

Are we looking at a safety issue here and does it warrant a prompt to either the IAA or CAA of the showboating performance at Stobart?

Expressflight
22nd Jul 2018, 12:08
Is there an issue with that E195 setup which requires supervisory probing by the IAA or CAA?

Clearly Stobart have a significant serious issue revolving around that E195 going tech with high frequency.

Are we looking at a safety issue here and does it warrant a prompt to either the IAA or CAA of the showboating performance at Stobart?
I wouldn't think so.

tophat27dt
22nd Jul 2018, 15:29
I see a VLM FK50 has been brought in the help ease the situation, but still the Prague flight has a 6 hour delay outbound.

Expressflight
22nd Jul 2018, 15:45
When will they realise that they simply must sub in something to cover from the absent G-FBEF? And don't tell me it will be difficult to find something because I agree it will be difficult but not impossible even if expensive.

Planespeaking
22nd Jul 2018, 15:52
And the Cologne departure is showing on the SEN website as 5h 25m late - with the return flight cancelled. Good Lord!!
It's time Stobart Air got a grip of this instead of acting out their boardroom dramas, otherwise their reputation will be trashed.
SEN will go onwards and upwards with other carriers, but Stobart Air is looking very sad . A few years ago Flybe effectively, allegedly killed off their SEN operation, it looks like history repeating itself. Could I fly Stobart Air, or recommend it to family and friends....no no NO!

mik3bravo
22nd Jul 2018, 16:55
What do you mean by Stobarts reputation will be trashed. It already is in the gutter. They've single handily destroyed what fragments of a brand name were knocking about. I've never seen such pathetic efforts to run a business and ultimately they are screwing up the public who have trusted Stobart to fly you from A to B using a trustworthy reliable and punctual flight schedule. Stobart are totally undependable, I know from my own first hand experience, steer clear of using them, you'll spend hours stuck at airports or face flights being cancelled and hours of your life that you'll never get back. Avoid Stobart.

AirportPlanner1
22nd Jul 2018, 17:23
As if trying to run a three E195 operation with just two of them wasn’t bad enough, it now seems a second has gone tech and they are down to just one.

Surely JOTA have a 146 sitting around they can use. Sending two ATRs (or now an ATR and a VLM F50) to do the job of one E195 isn’t an acceptable long-term solution, although at least loads on those routes require more than a 70 seater.

DC3 Dave
22nd Jul 2018, 18:33
We seem to have reached the point where even this thread's spiritual leaders are voicing concern and dismay at recent events. Why are Stobart screwing up their own airlines / airport's reputation at a time of real opportunity after such a barren period?

But fear ye not ppruners. I drove past the airport a couple of hours ago and saw something remarkable. A London bound train departing the station on a Sunday. Integrated transport? Nobody does it better. ��

tophat27dt
22nd Jul 2018, 19:30
As if trying to run a three E195 operation with just two of them wasn’t bad enough, it now seems a second has gone tech and they are down to just one.

Surely JOTA have a 146 sitting around they can use. Sending two ATRs (or now an ATR and a VLM F50) to do the job of one E195 isn’t an acceptable long-term solution, although at least loads on those routes require more than a 70 seater.
Maybe they should buy Saab 340s. The Chateauroux services always seem on time, bless 'em.

tophat27dt
22nd Jul 2018, 19:41
Does anybody know what type of technical problems these aircraft are having? Is it the engines, electrics, radio/nav, ? Whilst there are a few spare aircraft sitting around in Europe, i am not sure there are the crews to fly them.

stewyb
22nd Jul 2018, 19:48
The E95's will be consigned to ACMI work for Stobart Air in the not too distant future, and not very reliable ones at that. This chaos cannot continue and the duplication of many routes by EZY and now Ryanair will negate the need to fly them!

Steviec9
22nd Jul 2018, 20:01
Quote of the year from my auntie arriving on the subbed VLM F50 (she being used to and expecting a jet) “well sure it was grand enough but old?! I was next to the rear gunner” :O

TartinTon
22nd Jul 2018, 20:26
The problem with the E95s is that they're old and were originally planned to be sold by Flybe by the ex-CEO and ex-ex-ex-(I think) COO who had the brilliant idea of parking them in the beautiful
salt-rich atmosphere of NQY where they happily corroded for a few years until the ex-CEO conceded that he couldn't find a buyer so better start using them.
It should come as no surprise that their technical reliability is a bit lacking despite extensive renovation by the BE lads and lasses.

PDXCWL45
22nd Jul 2018, 20:40
The problem with the E95s is that they're old and were originally planned to be sold by Flybe by the ex-CEO and ex-ex-ex-(I think) COO who had the brilliant idea of parking them in the beautiful
salt-rich atmosphere of NQY where they happily corroded for a few years until the ex-CEO conceded that he couldn't find a buyer so better start using them.
It should come as no surprise that their technical reliability is a bit lacking despite extensive renovation by the BE lads and lasses.

They are only 10 years old so not that old in years wise.

EI-BUD
22nd Jul 2018, 22:10
Jota are very well committed at the moment with plenty of work for Cityjet on DUB/LCY and then HOP! In France, e.g. Pau... add to that ad hoc work. I wouldn't have thought that Jota would have anything available...

Expressflight
23rd Jul 2018, 07:03
All three of the Jota pax fleet is flying today and they have been very busy of late. Also their aircraft are not an ideal replacement for the E195 at this time of year when their lower capacity would be a problem.

mikkie4
24th Jul 2018, 23:02
our 4th based EZY aircraft starts work today

EssexMan61
25th Jul 2018, 07:37
I make it 31 scheduled departures today - must be a record for many a year!

mik3bravo
25th Jul 2018, 07:38
That is a good news story and very positive to hear EZY are building up a good hub from SEN. Will be even better when FR join the party next Spring.
(I see FR published P1 / P2 salary levels - very healthy gross earnings to be honest!)

EssexMan61
25th Jul 2018, 07:50
After the good news - I see there is a negative report on the Echo website this morning - "Flybe Passengers for Southend...…". What a shame that one unreliable aircraft is letting the side down. (I am assuming the problem was due to technical issues?).

Bee Rexit
27th Jul 2018, 07:57
Just been to Malta and back and yet again Southend was a joy to use. However as mentioned by tophat27dt the 5 minute drop off is a joke. As a local I dropped my wife off and parked the car at the MILS down the road, with only about 30 seconds to spare I arrived at the queue of 5 cars in front trying to exit. The first lady had obviously gone over her time and was using the call buttons to sort it out, the barriers went up and 3 cars got out so the 4th car had the same issue as by now he was overtime. I think I eventually got out 8 mins over my time, the barrier went down behind me and I watched as the next person then had to call the attendant (and a long queue had formed behind him) What a joke and surely now a full time job for someone to keep answering the barrier call button! just put it back to 15 or even 10 mins. 5 minutes is just not enough time.

DC3 Dave
27th Jul 2018, 08:46
Use car park 3. 1st 15 minutes free. Don't go over that though or it's the full day rate

Expressflight
27th Jul 2018, 09:39
Yes, just use Long Stay 3 (the entrance is just behind the Holiday Inn) and drop off/pick up at the passenger gate at the far end of the car park. It's only a 150m walk to/from the terminal entrance. For the pick up you can generally stop behind the Holiday Inn while waiting to enter the car park to ensure you don't go over the 15 minutes free.

LTNman
27th Jul 2018, 17:09
It is inevitable that the free 5 minutes drop off will be ended probably for next year in favour of charging for all drop offs. It brings in income which is the name of the game but the question will be how much will the charge be and for how long? My guess it will be £2 for 10 or 15 minutes but it will be promoted as a lower charge than for a stay of 5 to 10 or 15 minutes.

virginblue
27th Jul 2018, 17:56
Travelled through SEN this morning during the morning wave and as I had expressed some concern earlier how they would cope with 4 easyjet Airbus plus the Stobart lot, I must say that I was impressed how smoothly everything webt at security and in the gate area which did not feel too crowded.

But who on earth decided to close the Cafe for remodeling during peak season. The queues at the new Costa were awful, with just one barista working.

Bee Rexit
27th Jul 2018, 18:59
Yes, just use Long Stay 3 (the entrance is just behind the Holiday Inn) and drop off/pick up at the passenger gate at the far end of the car park. It's only a 150m walk to/from the terminal entrance. For the pick up you can generally stop behind the Holiday Inn while waiting to enter the car park to ensure you don't go over the 15 minutes free.
There are no baggage trolley bays in car park 3 (that I noticed). The airport can't bang on about how convenient things are when they aren't and it is only a small criticism, besides I had unloaded and was on my way within 5 minutes but like everyone else as soon as there is an issue at the barrier then everyone gets caught and that must happen pretty much all day, everyday!

mik3bravo
27th Jul 2018, 19:10
It is inevitable that the free 5 minutes drop off will be ended probably for next year in favour of charging for all drop offs. It brings in income which is the name of the game but the question will be how much will the charge be and for how long? My guess it will be £2 for 10 or 15 minutes but it will be promoted as a lower charge than for a stay of 5 to 10 or 15 minutes.

Have any of you seen the craziness at the Stansted drop-off for the redeye flights?

OMG it's mental. People jumping out of cars a half mile back down the ROW of tailed back cars to drag cases over rubble soft verges and grass. It's nuts.

Please tell me SEN are not going down that stupid route. It's bonkers!

stewyb
28th Jul 2018, 13:29
Do EZY operate certain routes with any weight restrictions? cheers

EssexMan61
29th Jul 2018, 15:10
I was just having a look at the SEN website Departures / Arrivals for today and I see that there are two round-trips to Cologne - that would appear to be jolly good news??. On a less positive note I see that the poor old Milan Malpensa flight has been hit by delays again - this route always seems to be one of the first to lose out on punctuality!!

SENChris
29th Jul 2018, 16:22
I was just having a look at the SEN website Departures / Arrivals for today and I see that there are two round-trips to Cologne - that would appear to be jolly good news??.

I believe that this route is usually operated by an Embraer, and given the current difficulties with that fleet, it is instead being operated by an ATR with a smaller capacity. The fact that two flights are required to cater for the number of passengers however is presumably good news.

virginblue
29th Jul 2018, 18:34
CGN has been operated regularly with an ATR72 at least since the end of May.

Could be, of course, that it had been on sale initially with an E95 and this particular day had bookings exceeding the capacity of an ATR72 before the swap from the E95 to the AT7 was filed in the CRS.

AirportPlanner1
29th Jul 2018, 21:21
CGN was scheduled as an ATR on weekdays for July and August, with RNS getting the E195 normally heading to CGN. Sundays were still scheduled as an E195 to CGN as RNS operates twice daily at the weekend.

Still though, there must be more than 70 booked as has been mentioned. It looks like this was also the case for Lyon yesterday.

virginblue
29th Jul 2018, 22:09
CGN was scheduled as an ATR on weekdays for July and August, with RNS getting the E195 normally heading to CGN. Sundays were still scheduled as an E195 to CGN as RNS operates twice daily at the weekend.

I was on a weekday SEN-CGN in early June and back then it was already an ATR72 (also the days before as I had checked that on FR24 before my flight).

SEN Observer
30th Jul 2018, 10:11
A Titan 737 has arrived this morning, I assume to cover for g-fbef which I assume is still in Lisbon?

tophat27dt
30th Jul 2018, 10:36
Yes it will operate two rotations today. The E195 is due back later today from the workshop.

SEN Observer
30th Jul 2018, 12:15
Yes it will operate two rotations today. The E195 is due back later today from the workshop.
Hope they've mended it properly!!

mik3bravo
30th Jul 2018, 16:27

So when it comes back on base does that now mean we'll have all three back on base or do we still have one away for maintenance and if it's still away, any estimated duration before it's also back at base?

mikkie4
30th Jul 2018, 20:12
figures taken from another web site...
movements 3,196 up 35%
atms 1,614
business flights 263 up 416%
passengers 144,069 up 34%
domestic passengers 13,548 up 237%
atms cancelled 34
these are the figs for june ...july should be even better

DC3 Dave
30th Jul 2018, 20:58
mikke4 Have looked at the figures and I hope I cause no offence by copy and pasting them:

June 2018 figures (%ages are compared with same month last year):

Airport Movements - 3,196, Up 35.8%, highest monthly figure since before 2011.
ATMs - 1,614 Up 43%, highest monthly figure since before 2012.
ATMs Cancelled - 35 .

Business Flights - 263, Up 416%.
Passengers - 144,069, Up 34%, highest ever monthly figure.
Domestic Passengers - 13,548, Up 237%.

Individual Routes

Alicante (EZY): 9,091, down 20%.
Amsterdam (EZY): 15,225, up 12%.
Antwerp (STK): 1,359 -
Barcelona (EZY): 4, 586, down 4%.
Budapest (STK): 2,336, up 59%.
Caen (STK): 1,562 down 1%.
Cagliari (AMC): 1,775.
Catania (AMC): 2,164.
Chateauroux (IGA) - 120 Pax.
Cologne (STK): 2,889 -
Dublin (STK): 12,403, highest month on route.
Dubrovnik (STK): 1,711, up 64%.
Faro (EZY): 10,322, down 24%, lowest June figure since 2014.
Glasgow (STK): 4,581 - highest month on route.
Groningen (STK): 5,341, up 118%, highest June figure.
Ibiza (EZY): 3,735, up 9%.
Jersey (EZY): 3,596, down 10%.
Lyon (STK) -3,632, up 107%, highest month on route.
Mahon (EZY): 3,075, up 21%, highest month on route.
Malaga (EZY): 10,172, up 13%, highest month on route.
Malta (AMC & EZY): 5,711 -
Manchester (STK): 5,441 -
Milan (STK): 3,040, up 53%.
Murcia (EZY): 2,710, up 2%, highest month on route.
Palma (EZY & VOE) - 10,145, down 28%.
Paris CDG (EZY): 4,731, up 28%, highest June since starting.
Prague (STK): 5,332 - up 69%.
Rennes (STK): 3,360, down 16%.
Vienna (STK): 2,612, up 33%, highest month on route.
Zadar(STK): 1,127, up 6%.

Look at DBV and PRG. Tells me EZY aren't stupid, are they!

PS I know Alicante and Malaga tend to see-saw in regards to pax numbers. But given that EZY have pee'd me and others off by dropping their mid morning AGP flight in favour of a late afternoon departure, I am suprised to see it doing so well.

mik3bravo
30th Jul 2018, 22:33
I'm surprised by that Dublin figure given the disruptions caused by the E195s going tech or the delays and last minute pulled flights from time to time involving those airframes.

mikkie4
31st Jul 2018, 00:11
DC3 DAVE, no offence taken ,would have copied and pasted it my self but I don't know how to...not very clued up on how to use the computer

SEN Observer
31st Jul 2018, 06:09
I see from the arrivals/departures boards that there are further delays today. Does this mean that G-FBEF didn't make it back yesterday from Lisbon?

tophat27dt
31st Jul 2018, 13:28
I see from the arrivals/departures boards that there are further delays today. Does this mean that G-FBEF didn't make it back yesterday from Lisbon?
I saw the Caen flight depart at 1415 local time. But the SEN website says 1315, so are they trying to paint a slightly more Rosey picture against what is really happening? EZY generally had a great week with few delays. I hope RYR will do the same next year. Hopefully Stobart Air will be back on track when their E195 returns from maintenance.

Expressflight
31st Jul 2018, 13:52
The CFR was off stand SEN at around 14.10 as you suggest. The E195 carried out an airtest a couple of hours ago at LIS so let's hope they have cured the problems(s) and it'll be on its way home later today.

Expressflight
31st Jul 2018, 13:58
figures taken from another web site...
business flights 263 up 416%
... and Private flights up 51% from 272 to 412 in June year on year.

Jersey32D
31st Jul 2018, 14:21
I saw the Caen flight depart at 1415 local time. But the SEN website says 1315, so are they trying to paint a slightly more Rosey picture against what is really happening? EZY generally had a great week with few delays. I hope RYR will do the same next year. Hopefully Stobart Air will be back on track when their E195 returns from maintenance.

Sounds like someone at SEN has got their local and zulu times mixed to me.

tophat27dt
31st Jul 2018, 17:36
Sounds like someone at SEN has got their local and zulu times mixed to me.
How very convenient. Actually one often sees on the board aircraft landing one hour early, but not true.

tophat27dt
31st Jul 2018, 17:58
The CFR was off stand SEN at around 14.10 as you suggest. The E195 carried out an airtest a couple of hours ago at LIS so let's hope they have cured the problems(s) and it'll be on its way home later today.
G-FBEF just arrived back at SEN from maintenance. Mind you, I don't know if it's serviceable or not

AirportPlanner1
1st Aug 2018, 08:18
Looking at the figures quoted, it looks like Air Malta is performing quite well - hopefully enough to see them return next year. If every EZY flight to Malta was full, that gives KM a minimum of 6,770 pax, or an average of 121 per flight. Catania averaged 135, Cagliari a bit lower at 111.

IG Avion averages 7.5 - slightly less impressive.

tophat27dt
1st Aug 2018, 16:55
[QUOTE=tophat27dt;10211209]G-FBEF just arrived back at SEN from maintenance and is back in service 1st August.

SEN Observer
1st Aug 2018, 21:03
I see the one-off four day trip to Iceland in February 2019 has now appeared on the destinations section of the website. Let's hope this one actually happens. It stands more of a chance as I have seen it in Tui's (I think it was there) window a couple of weeks ago. Something just over £700 I think it was. Any ideas on the aircraft to be used?

SEN Observer
2nd Aug 2018, 09:35
Re my above post, it was Thomas Cook, not Tui.

MARKEYD
2nd Aug 2018, 09:37
Its on sale with Super Break holidays , flight is scheduled by a Titan A321or B757 according to the Titan website

tophat27dt
2nd Aug 2018, 09:49
Its on sale with Super Break holidays , flight is scheduled by a Titan A321or B757 according to the Titan website
So they will bus the pax up to STN then? Lol

Expressflight
2nd Aug 2018, 14:51
They wouldn't need to if it's a B752.

tophat27dt
2nd Aug 2018, 15:12
They wouldn't need to if it's a B752.
Depends if they sell enough seats I guess.

22/04
3rd Aug 2018, 08:43
Surely a 321 can make Iceland out of SEN too.

compton3bravo
3rd Aug 2018, 08:58
It can but depends on the load!

mik3bravo
5th Aug 2018, 08:56
This is a question for those of you working at SEN or close to the reliable information.

Acknowledging all the controversy relating to Stobart having E195s unavailable to service some of the Flybe schedule. Can I ask how many E195s were in the plan when the announced the SEN schedules - was it 2 or 3 aircraft?

Currently, what is the status, how many have they got in service right now and do they still have an aircraft away for maintenance?

Thanks, mik3bravo.

tophat27dt
5th Aug 2018, 21:08
EF appeared to be unserviceable again this morning creating 4 hours delays on their later flights. It did get airborne after lunch and is back online. When will Stobart Air be able to return this aircraft back to Flybe?

PDXCWL45
6th Aug 2018, 05:10
EF appeared to be unserviceable again this morning creating 4 hours delays on their later flights. It did get airborne after lunch and is back online. When will Stobart Air be able to return this aircraft back to Flybe?
I don't believe they can return them as they they bought them.

tophat27dt
6th Aug 2018, 06:48
I was told that they have bought EL, EM and EN, the latter already Irish registered.

SEN Observer
6th Aug 2018, 06:53
Is G-FBEF not due to go back to Flybe fairly soon now? All I know is what I learn from this forum, but I believe that EB is not part of the final deal. Can anyone in the know say when this demon is due back with Flybe and Stobart gets a more reliable replacement. I've got October in mind but as I say, all I know is what I pick up here.

SEN Observer
6th Aug 2018, 11:45
Have just noticed a typo in my last post. Should have referred to EF rather than EB. Sorry for any confusion!

tophat27dt
6th Aug 2018, 11:53
EM will be transferred to Stobart during September, and EL will follow in November, both to become EI-. . EF will be returning to FlyBe.

tophat27dt
6th Aug 2018, 12:38
ATR EI-REM positioning into SEN to help out.

tophat27dt
6th Aug 2018, 20:20
EZY flight to/from AMS delayed 4 hours, but the inbound to SEN will divert to LTN in the early hours "due to lack of human resources at SEN"....or is this a cheaper way to get their rescue plane back to base LTN earlier. Pax will be bused to SEN. In case you didn't know one of the OE- reg A319s went tech early this morning and a replacement was sent in from LTN to operate the Alicante and Amsterdam flights.

AirportPlanner1
6th Aug 2018, 20:57
EZY flight to/from AMS delayed 4 hours, but the inbound to SEN will divert to LTN in the early hours "due to lack of human resources at SEN"....or is this a cheaper way to get their rescue plane back to base LTN earlier. Pax will be bused to SEN. In case you didn't know one of the OE- reg A319s went tech early this morning and a replacement was sent in from LTN to operate the Alicante and Amsterdam flights.

Not sure if it’ll save them money on ferrying, although crew hours might be an issue if they were to do LTN-SEN-ALC-SEN-AMS-SEN-LTN?

SEN has managed to stay open until 2am for one of their own E195s, I don’t see why EZY will be any different? Perhaps a poorly veiled attempt to evade compensation by saying its out of their hands?

mik3bravo
6th Aug 2018, 21:22
Not sure if it’ll save them money on ferrying, although crew hours might be an issue if they were to do LTN-SEN-ALC-SEN-AMS-SEN-LTN?

SEN has managed to stay open until 2am for one of their own E195s, I don’t see why EZY will be any different? Perhaps a poorly veiled attempt to evade compensation by saying its out of their hands?
or config for the redeye shifts tomorrow from LTN

tophat27dt
7th Aug 2018, 05:21
Pity it didn't stay to replace the still-broken A319. Amsterdam delayed 3 hours. Horrendous.

AirportPlanner1
7th Aug 2018, 06:25

I’m sure it is but it’s basically a lie, it implies fault with another party.

Falcon666
7th Aug 2018, 07:28
I’m sure it is but it’s basically a lie, it implies fault with another party.

Can somebody say where the information came from that it was due to staffing at SEN?
Was this from Easy themselves?
On the EasyJet site it said that the plane was needed back at Luton for the following days programme- no lie there

tophat27dt
7th Aug 2018, 07:49
Can somebody say where the information came from that it was due to staffing at SEN?
Was this from Easy themselves?
On the EasyJet site it said that the plane was needed back at Luton for the following days programme- no lie there
I took it from the tracking section on their business part of website. Lack of human resources at SEN it said. Maybe they later changed it

Falcon666
7th Aug 2018, 08:00
I took it from the tracking section on their business part of website. Lack of human resources at SEN it said. Maybe they later changed it

tophat
Thanks for that , looks indeed like they must have changed it after you noticed it.
Perhaps somebody thought better and decided to tell the real reason

tophat27dt
8th Aug 2018, 09:34
EZY flight SEN-PMI delayed 45 mins, which in itself is not too bad, but the excuse given on website says "due to congestion at departure airport. Aircraft may be pushed back on time but must wait in a holding area". Have you seen the departures board for that period? I think three departures.

tophat27dt
8th Aug 2018, 11:51
OE-LQU fixed and back in service.

bycrewlgw
8th Aug 2018, 15:57
EZY flight SEN-PMI delayed 45 mins, which in itself is not too bad, but the excuse given on website says "due to congestion at departure airport. Aircraft may be pushed back on time but must wait in a holding area". Have you seen the departures board for that period? I think three departures.

air traffic delays maybe?

tophat27dt
8th Aug 2018, 16:10
air traffic delays maybe?

Yes, maybe...but I believe in the end it was the repaired OE-LQU which did the flight leaving two hours late.

asdf1234
8th Aug 2018, 16:51
Has anyone used the lounge at SEN since it was voted the worst in Britain? I've have a flight out of SEN in a couple of days and not keen on giving the lounge £20 if nothing has improved . At the same time I don't want to suffer queues downstairs as I understand the concessions are still under construction/refurbishment .

DC3 Dave
8th Aug 2018, 18:40
Has anyone used the lounge at SEN since it was voted the worst in Britain? I've have a flight out of SEN in a couple of days and not keen on giving the lounge £20 if nothing has improved . At the same time I don't want to suffer queues downstairs as I understand the concessions are still under construction/refurbishment .

Not me, but if you look on the website it's now highlighted and it appears to have been "tarted up" Give us your view if you try. I'm flying from SEN last week August and am interested in giving it a go.

tophat27dt
8th Aug 2018, 19:09
I flew out from SEN two weeks ago and Costas coffee shop was not open, but recent promotional publicity shows it is now open. There are other options for food and drinks. No problems I think.

AirportPlanner1
8th Aug 2018, 20:54
You don’t really gain much from a lounge at SEN to be honest. Mostly the place isn’t busy enough to warrant “getting away from it all”, and if you want to fork out a bit for something a bit more plush just go to Bourgee. Even in the morning rush Bourgee seems more relaxed as most people flock to the bar or queue up at the cafe.

asdf1234
9th Aug 2018, 06:12
You don’t really gain much from a lounge at SEN to be honest. Mostly the place isn’t busy enough to warrant “getting away from it all”, and if you want to fork out a bit for something a bit more plush just go to Bourgee. Even in the morning rush Bourgee seems more relaxed as most people flock to the bar or queue up at the cafe.

I have used Bourgee before and was distinctly unimpressed. It was the Bourgee experience that pushed me to the lounge but my last visit there was underwhelming. Maybe the trick is to arrive "Just on Time" and proceed directly to boarding.

mik3bravo
9th Aug 2018, 06:42
I have used Bourgee before and was distinctly unimpressed. It was the Bourgee experience that pushed me to the lounge but my last visit there was underwhelming. Maybe the trick is to arrive "Just on Time" and proceed directly to boarding.

Yep, I'd recomend that option. The lounge is just not on par with how you'd expect a lounge. One thing I've generally noticed about the lounge, the main entrance doors are generally swung wide open as you pass them heading to the escalator towards the gates. You can see straight in and hear all the chatter and hussle of people at the security area when you are within the lounge. It could do with the airport management getting an interior designer in to redesign it and pimp it up. It's underused as it stands right now and could generate additional income if they had the lounge ambience and market promotion pitched much better.

It's something the departures area is going to increasingly require especially as the airport becomes increasingly busy when likes of Ryanair come to SEN and pax volumes begin to really ratchet upwards.

Falcon666
9th Aug 2018, 08:14
EasyJet new route

SEN-BUD from Nov

Not sure if this has been mentioned before

Bee Rexit
9th Aug 2018, 08:18
Yep, I'd recomend that option. The lounge is just not on par with how you'd expect a lounge. One thing I've generally noticed about the lounge, the main entrance doors are generally swung wide open as you pass them heading to the escalator towards the gates. You can see straight in and hear all the chatter and hussle of people at the security area when you are within the lounge. It could do with the airport management getting an interior designer in to redesign it and pimp it up. It's underused as it stands right now and could generate additional income if they had the lounge ambience and market promotion pitched much better.

It's something the departures area is going to increasingly require especially as the airport becomes increasingly busy when likes of Ryanair come to SEN and pax volumes begin to really ratchet upwards.
Oh god no - they might use the same firm that did the exec jet area!

tophat27dt
9th Aug 2018, 08:24
EasyJet new route

SEN-BUD from Nov

Not sure if this has been mentioned before
Once again in competition with an existing route

But, on FlyBe site, book SEN-BUD-SEN on Nov 28, return 30, the fare is 1540 euros return 😮

SWBKCB
9th Aug 2018, 09:11

But, on FlyBe site, book SEN-BUD-SEN on Nov 28, return 30, the fare is 1540 euros return 😮

Wasn't the whole point of the Stobart ATR operation to prove that the routes were viable, and to attract larger airlines on to them?

tophat27dt
9th Aug 2018, 09:22
Wasn't the whole point of the Stobart ATR operation to prove that the routes were viable, and to attract larger airlines on to them?
I have always thought so, YES.

Expressflight
9th Aug 2018, 09:37
That's exactly right and it does seem to be working.

DC3 Dave
9th Aug 2018, 09:48
I suspect Stobart will announce new routes soon. EDI, BHD, and GCI I reckon. As well as adjusting to EZY they will have to drop / severely scale back DUB next year.

​​​​​

AirportPlanner1
9th Aug 2018, 10:09

Fake news. Those are 2-stop flights via MAN and CDG. Returns are circa £80 on the days the non-stop operates.

Expressflight
9th Aug 2018, 10:19
I suspect Stobart will announce new routes soon. EDI, BHD, and GCI I reckon. As well as adjusting to EZY they will have to drop / severely scale back DUB next year.
​​​​​
The problem with SEN-EDI & BHD is will Flybe agree to that under the terms of the franchise agreement with Stobart Air? I doubt it as they would compete with Flybe's existing flights from LCY to those destinations.

stewyb
9th Aug 2018, 10:43
My own opinion is the Flybe/stobart franchise is dying fast as EZY and Ryanair take on same routes. In the future Stobart will concentrate their ATR fleet on domestics along with E95 on high load routes and the remainder will be utilised for ACMI work!

AirportPlanner1
9th Aug 2018, 11:56
Maybe, but while EZY/FR serve the likes of Prague, Milan and Budapest at fairly low frequency I think Stobart still has a future. BUD for example operates Tue, Thu, Sat against EZY on Mon and Fri. So there’s now better flexibility. Stobart’s Milan goes to Malpensa far off the the west and near Como, Lugano and Maggiore whereas Ryanair goes to Bergamo far off to the east and near Garda.

tophat27dt
9th Aug 2018, 12:00
Fake news. Those are 2-stop flights via MAN and CDG. Returns are circa £80 on the days the non-stop operates.
How ridiculous. I can buy a round-the-world ticket for that price. I didn't notice the schedule those days in detail but who would buy it?

cornishsimon
9th Aug 2018, 12:51
I very much expect to seeSEN-NQY announced for 2019 soon on the ATR. BE have just dropped STN so it’s leaving a gap that filled 20,000 seats in summer 17

cs

DC3 Dave
9th Aug 2018, 20:13
I hope you're right CS. The idea of my favourite UK hotel - The Headland, overlooking the rocky outcrop at the north end of Fistral Bay - once again less than an hour's flight from SEN, fills my heart with joy.

From the hopeless stagnation of a couple of years ago, even the fiercest critics of Stobart seem to accept that the airport is very much on the up, and I for one cannot wait to discover what next year may bring.

Yes, there are serious reasons for criticism - not least the struggles of Stobart Air to deliver their timetable - but who can now doubt that the airport has s bright future, and isn't that a minor miracle?

asdf1234
9th Aug 2018, 20:26
It seems the money invested (losses accrued) in Stobart running their own airline from their own airport is paying dividends. They prove the route, and take the corresponding start-up losses, and then a bigger carrier comes in and takes a fully developed route for free . Interim results due out 3rd week of October. Most probably too early to show a profit from aviation activity but a reduction in the losses will signal a brighter future.

DC3 Dave
9th Aug 2018, 21:30
As an avid reader and admirer of your posts, asdf1234, I have to ask are you becoming a convert to the Stobart way, or are you just a big softie at heart, with your business nous sweep aside with the emotion generated by a dying airport's truly miraculous renaissance?

OltonPete
9th Aug 2018, 22:37

That's exactly right and it does seem to be working.

I am somewhat confused here - wasn't the comment or topic related to the Budapest announcement?

If it was in general then fair enough but if relation to Budapest isn't the aircraft the 195 (or should have been most times) and if so doesn't the CAA figures show that they would more than likely scare any airline away rather than encourage competition in respect of Budapest?

2017 CAA stats show 13299 passengers in total with the punctuality stats showing Flybe operated 172 sectors and Stobart 34 which is 206 sectors making the average passenger figure 65 per flight and using 118 seats equals a load factor of 55%.

Even if you convert the 13299 pax into 12 months (I believe this is from May 17) it is only around 23000 passengers and at twice a week it equates to 110 pax per flight which sounds very light on an A319 and nowhere near easyjets fleet-wide average. Naturally easyjet's competitive pricing will add several thousand passengers to start with and indeed it might work out for them (and no doubt will in the early days) but hardly a guaranteed success and I would say the Stobart's figures flag up massive warnings rather than a goldmine.

If some of my figures are wide of the mark please let me know but I have used the CAA actuals for passenger figures and the punctuality stats for the number of sectors although I have no idea if the 195 operated all the sectors.

Just my thoughts

Pete

AirportPlanner1
10th Aug 2018, 08:13
Pete, the stats don’t tell the full story. The programme for 2017 went on sale quite late and loads suffered as a result.

This year figures are looking much improved, the overall average for the Embraer routes on the last set of figures was about 63% although that was dragged down by Glasgow which is quite weak and quite frequent making up about 17% of all flights. The last set of figures for Budapest specifically was around 90 per flight (76%) which isn’t bad at all, as you note fares tend to be higher than EZY and awareness not as strong.

Expressflight
10th Aug 2018, 10:04
This year figures are looking much improved, the overall average for the Embraer routes on the last set of figures was about 63% although that was dragged down by Glasgow which is quite weak and quite frequent making up about 17% of all flights. The last set of figures for Budapest specifically was around 90 per flight (76%) which isn’t bad at all, as you note fares tend to be higher than EZY and awareness not as strong.

I would expect the July figures for the E195 operation to average 70%-plus overall and around 75% if GLA is excluded.

AirportPlanner1
10th Aug 2018, 12:28
It looks as though GLA might be going. All fares from the end of October are a standard £130 return, whereas up until then they are variable and generally around £40-£60.

The standard base fare for MAN has risen to £90 from £60, although that is with immediate effect so really praying that’s not being dropped as well. It was through going to book MAN that I found this out.

AirportPlanner1
10th Aug 2018, 12:39
Further update - there seem to be other changes going on. Milan isn’t showing at all after November, Prague is greyed out as full on Tue/Wed/Thu and Cologne is showing at a new earlier time of 08:20 on an E195. That means one of two things - either a fourth E195 or the loss of something else (GLA). Rennes is now on an E195 at new times on Mon, Thu and Fri.

At present one E195 does nothing after 4pm each day and another after 6pm. So scope for two new routes, or perhaps GLA to be retained once daily. I

asdf1234
11th Aug 2018, 15:34
The late afternoon Malaga flight cancelled today and as a result check-in and bag drop is pretty raucous. Lots of unhappy punters who have been told to go home. Lyon is 3 hours late . I can't help think that when RYR turn up this little airport is going to be horrible overcrowded . It is comfortably full right now with only 3 flights on the departure board .

tophat27dt
11th Aug 2018, 16:01
The late afternoon Malaga flight cancelled today and as a result check-in and bag drop is pretty raucous. Lots of unhappy punters who have been told to go home. Lyon is 3 hours late . I can't help think that when RYR turn up this little airport is going to be horrible overcrowded . It is comfortably full right now with only 3 flights on the departure board .
Due to "crew welfare issues"
So the inbound flight from Palma lands 90 mins late.
Why does such a shortish delay have to affect subsequent flights? Don't they have enough crews available?

daz211
11th Aug 2018, 16:36
The late afternoon Malaga flight cancelled today and as a result check-in and bag drop is pretty raucous. Lots of unhappy punters who have been told to go home. Lyon is 3 hours late . I can't help think that when RYR turn up this little airport is going to be horrible overcrowded . It is comfortably full right now with only 3 flights on the departure board .I wouldn’t worry most of Ryanair’s flights get cancelled anyway I think enough local people have heard the horror stories of Ryanair cancellations leaving families stranded for days with no hotels or food then offering £85 compensation weeks later after being forced to spend 100’s on hotels and alternative flights, they are a total joke of an airline.

Falcon666
11th Aug 2018, 17:14
EasyJet have cancelled a few recently from LTN as well due to crew welfare issues.
In fact Lisbon is cancelled tonight.
I suspect they are running close to max on crewing in general.

EI-BUD
11th Aug 2018, 20:10
Are any of the Flybe/(Stobart Air) scheduled for 2019 confirmed or loaded? I cannot seem to find any. I'm not convinced that there are plans for such with effect from Ryanair's arrival on the scene. No case for Dublin, I'd have thought.

And of course Flybe will take back the IOM routes that Stobart have been operating on its behalf. Carlisle is also for Loganair (an ex Flybe franchisee), I'm most intereseted to see the S19 plans for the fleet, particularly the 195's...

asdf1234
11th Aug 2018, 20:53
EasyJet have cancelled a few recently from LTN as well due to crew welfare issues.
In fact Lisbon is cancelled tonight.
I suspect they are running close to max on crewing in general.

Can't confirm this but I'm led to believe that the only available Captain on stand-by at SEN run out of time hence the cancellation of the afternoon Malaga flight. This will happen this time of year when crews are stretched due to holidays etc... Very sad however for the pax who can't get to their holiday destination unless they pay for replacement flights.

Expressflight
12th Aug 2018, 08:43
Are any of the Flybe/(Stobart Air) scheduled for 2019 confirmed or loaded? I cannot seem to find any. I'm not convinced that there are plans for such with effect from Ryanair's arrival on the scene. No case for Dublin, I'd have thought.

The Stobart Air routes up until June 2019 will be bookable on the Flybe website on 16th August.

Regarding the cancellation of flights due to crewing problems, this seems much more prevalent countrywide this summer than I can remember previously. Maybe it's just getting more widely reported this year.

mik3bravo
12th Aug 2018, 09:02
The Stobart Air routes up until June 2019 will be bookable on the Flybe website on 16th August.

Regarding the cancellation of flights due to crewing problems, this seems much more prevalent countrywide this summer than I can remember previously. Maybe it's just getting more widely reported this year.

I think there's two issues causing this, firstly rostering being tight, secondly and more worryingly, there may be evidence of a drop-off in people choosing to pursue a career to ATPL levels due to costs involved and salary levels and job uncertainty, not to mention the very poor work / family life balance. There are countless professions out there providing salary levels and much higher work / family life balances which are way better than those on offer to commercial airline pilots. The fully autonomously passenger flight is not too far away from becoming a reality, the world and tech are changing all around us, and at an increasingly rapid pace of change and innovation.

Expressflight
12th Aug 2018, 10:13
Can't confirm this but I'm led to believe that the only available Captain on stand-by at SEN run out of time hence the cancellation of the afternoon Malaga flight.
I assume that Captain must be domiciled some distance from SEN otherwise it would have been more sensible to leave him on standby at home. Otherwise if he's at the airport he is already on duty and the clock is ticking.

Musket90
12th Aug 2018, 18:10
I believe some airports, Southend being being one due to short runway length and width, requires specifically trained flight deck crew to operate there.
So maybe Easyjet didn't have replacement available.

22/04
13th Aug 2018, 17:05
Easy bought in LTN CC to operate the AMS one evening last week.

Double Hydco
13th Aug 2018, 20:35
requires specifically trained flight deck crew to operate there.

All EZY Captains are narrow runway trained and qualified.

shamrock7seal
14th Aug 2018, 04:41
It will be very interesting to see what Stobart Air does in 2019 from SEN. I am sure it will start operating to regional Ireland using the EI brand (Cork, Knock, Shannon?) and perhaps the 195's with Flybe branding would start doing Poland and other Eastern European markets to try to demonstrate the demand that 'Wizzair' is potentially missing out on. Hahaha.

AirportPlanner1
14th Aug 2018, 07:35
It will be interesting to see what they do. Firstly whether Milan is dropped altogether or whether it will return for summer as it did this year. Also whether Glasgow really is going, and whether they retain the likes of Dubrovnik and Prague at existing frequency.

Consensus seems to be that Dublin will go which is a shame, I actually don’t think FR is as good a fit. I think 189 seats arriving back in SEN at 11pm and leaving at 7am will be overkill and without public transport it will suffer the same fate as EZY’s attempts with Belfast and Edinburgh. I’ve not used DUB but would assume it also benefits other routes like Antwerp and Groningen, certainly people have been transferring from/to MAN flights I’ve travelled on.

I don’t think they’ll go back to regional Irish routes unless they picked up the Derry PSO. There actually are quite a few potential routes they could do though - Inverness, Zurich, Stuttgart, Montpellier, Bergen are examples of destinations not served from STN. There are a few that are served but not at great frequency like Turin. And some popular places that no one does from SEN like Nice and Naples.

rog747
14th Aug 2018, 11:11
you will all lament the day FR came to SEN..... they will bugger off no sooner than the loads or any subsidies get reduced

the poster above is correct in saying that 3 x 189 pax checking in at SEN at 6am or landing back at 10 or 11pm will be chaotic and no longer will SEN be a pleasure to fly from

sorry to be a pooper but thats my tuppence

DC3 Dave
14th Aug 2018, 11:36
Growth. You're damned if you do and most certainly damned without it.

rog747
14th Aug 2018, 11:50
Growth. You're damned if you do and most certainly damned without it.

Indeed Dave, but if you do business with FR then you dine at the devil's table.....

AirportPlanner1
14th Aug 2018, 13:15
the poster above is correct in saying that 3 x 189 pax checking in at SEN at 6am or landing back at 10 or 11pm will be chaotic and no longer will SEN be a pleasure to fly from

Er, that’s not at all what I said. I said 189 seats was too much capacity from Dublin arriving/departing without adequate onward transportation based on past experience. Really quite different.

tophat27dt
14th Aug 2018, 13:45
Er, that’s not at all what I said. I said 189 seats was too much capacity from Dublin arriving/departing without adequate onward transportation based on past experience. Really quite different.
Maybe you should contact Ryanair and tell them to cancel their program for next year.

Planespeaking
14th Aug 2018, 13:55
Maybe you should contact Ryanair and tell them to cancel their program for next year.
I have noticed in the last few days tower are telling inbounds to hold on the taxiway because there is no ground crew available at their alloted stand. Not enough trained staff?

rog747
14th Aug 2018, 14:39
I dont get why handling these days seems to be falling apart almost everywhere

at BMA at LHR I was duty officer for many years for Ops Traffic load control and passenger services

we had 50+ flights a day then in and out of LHR
MME GLA EDI BFS LBA LPL IOM BHX and EMA plus handled Brymon for their PLH EXT and NQY flights some with ISC connections

we self handled our pax, check-in, Ops and load control side, and Aer Lingus did our ramp and baggage/cargo handling (basically they put the steps on and unloaded the bags)
British Airways did the coaches for us if we were parked at remote stands

rarely did we see cock ups and delays which we see commonplace now....yes things were done more manual and very hands on then

thank god I am retired LOL

mik3bravo
14th Aug 2018, 16:57
@rog747 - if you can see these flaws given your previous roles, what do you think is causing all the inefficiencies in the system today? Is it simply streamlining has cut it back to the bone too much? Incompetence and poor despatcher training and experience of new entrants? What gives, do you think?

rog747
14th Aug 2018, 18:00
@rog747 - if you can see these flaws given your previous roles, what do you think is causing all the inefficiencies in the system today? Is it simply streamlining has cut it back to the bone too much? Incompetence and poor despatcher training and experience of new entrants? What gives, do you think?

yes the whole thing - everything cut to the bone - outsourced and penny pitching - and outsourced to a bunch of untrained minimum wage 'I would rather not be here' folk...not their fault just not mentored not given enthusiasm nor pride

its gives the passenger no pleasure to experience the nonsense the airlines today seem to think is a business model BUT selling fares for £25 is what you see - that i'm afraid also attracts folk that will travel at the cheapest cost who frankly cannot look after themselves at home let alone travel on an aircraft with today's constraints of safety and behaviour -
add that into the mix too -
hence the constant aircraft diversions (almost weekly come daily now for the likes of say BA and possibly Virgin) for disruptive drunk nutcase and/or sick passengers
we NEVER had this in our day....maybe just maybe one medical diversion a year when I was with another holiday charter airline.

Also the most massive constraint to the industry are the issues of security post 9/11 and further incidents which is making the task of running an operation with huge frustrations coupled with insane growth of the Lo-Co and legacy airline market selling flights at unsustainable fares over time swamping airports, as per this discussion

the strain on crews, handling and border controls then meltdown - BUT oh no everyone wants to fly from their local airport to almost anywhere on the planet but at what price ??

anyway rant over - I should lie down with a large gin and tonic on ice and lament of the good old days of flying which I was very proud to have been part of.

back on topic - I will have to pay SEN a visit one day soon - I was from Upminster and we used to go in the 60's and 70's to the airport on a FRI or SAT summer evenings for a meal and a drink to watch all the Channel Airways Viscount all start up and go off on their night charter flights !

BTW
did you know who we can blame certainly in the UK for starting the LO-Co nonsense off in the first place ?
Easy Jet no
Ryanair no

it was Thomson's - yes a package tour operator who suddenly one year decided to dismantle the package and start charging for transfers from the overseas airport to the resort and then charging for meals on board the aircraft -
This PR stunt/move was titled 'Just for You'

so there we have it - Thomson's started the choice of buying what they thought passengers wanted (or not as the case maybe)
Had they left alone and kept prices not so keen - who knows - the likes of air europe dan air bia and monarch may still be here

Bee Rexit
14th Aug 2018, 19:09
back on topic - I will have to pay SEN a visit one day soon - I was from Upminster and we used to go in the 60's and 70's to the airport on a FRI or SAT summer evenings for a meal and a drink to watch all the Channel Airways Viscount all start up and go off on their night charter flights !

you really will be surprised. Go up to the bar or restaurant in the Holiday Inn.

HeliAl
14th Aug 2018, 19:41
Having passed through the airport today. It was a shambles. Only one girl on the security into the passenger clearance hall, therefore a tail back all the way along the upper level and kids with parents at 6 in the morning crying and getting frustrated. (Staffing!!)
Only 2 security belts working and in sufficient staff to clear passenger.
The staff on duty were doing their best, but with no management support. How will they cope with Ryanair next year??

tophat27dt
14th Aug 2018, 19:48
Having passed through the airport today. It was a shambles. Only one girl on the security into the passenger clearance hall, therefore a tail back all the way along the upper level and kids with parents at 6 in the morning crying and getting frustrated. (Staffing!!)
The staff on duty were doing their best, but with no management support. How will they cope with Ryanair next year??
Please write and complain to the airport management.

Cazza_fly
14th Aug 2018, 21:26
yes the whole thing - everything cut to the bone - outsourced and penny pitching - and outsourced to a bunch of untrained minimum wage 'I would rather not be here' folk...not their fault just not mentored not given enthusiasm nor pride

its gives the passenger no pleasure to experience the nonsense the airlines today seem to think is a business model BUT selling fares for £25 is what you see - that i'm afraid also attracts folk that will travel at the cheapest cost who frankly cannot look after themselves at home let alone travel on an aircraft with today's constraints of safety and behaviour -
add that into the mix too -
hence the constant aircraft diversions (almost weekly come daily now for the likes of say BA and possibly Virgin) for disruptive drunk nutcase and/or sick passengers
we NEVER had this in our day....maybe just maybe one medical diversion a year when I was with another holiday charter airline.

Also the most massive constraint to the industry are the issues of security post 9/11 and further incidents which is making the task of running an operation with huge frustrations coupled with insane growth of the Lo-Co and legacy airline market selling flights at unsustainable fares over time swamping airports, as per this discussion

the strain on crews, handling and border controls then meltdown - BUT oh no everyone wants to fly from their local airport to almost anywhere on the planet but at what price ??

anyway rant over - I should lie down with a large gin and tonic on ice and lament of the good old days of flying which I was very proud to have been part of.

BTW
did you know who we can blame certainly in the UK for starting the LO-Co nonsense off in the first place ?
Easy Jet no
Ryanair no

it was Thomson's - yes a package tour operator who suddenly one year decided to dismantle the package and start charging for transfers from the overseas airport to the resort and then charging for meals on board the aircraft -
This PR stunt/move was titled 'Just for You'

so there we have it - Thomson's started the choice of buying what they thought passengers wanted (or not as the case maybe)
Had they left alone and kept prices not so keen - who knows - the likes of air europe dan air bia and monarch may still be here

Sorry to drift the thread again and with respect, but that's not correct. If anything they, Thomson, were just keeping up with the changing market - which is what you have to do to survive, whether we like change or not.. This was actually influenced by the sudden growth of the above mentioned locos. The "Your holiday, Your choice" style concept (which is what it was actually known as at Thomson / Britannia) was brought in earlier with the Airtours/Mytravel group. It was soon almost universally adopted as the package holiday standard. This offer of choice and keeping up with change was further strengthened by the "big" tour operators either starting their own scheduled airlines and services in-house e.g Thomsonfly / Mytravel Lite or pushing on seat-only sales to keep aircraft as full as possible. They saw the change in consumer attitudes and gave what they came to see as the new norm due to the locos - More choice, flexibility and more availability of lower fares. Those expected lower fares had to be paid for from somewhere, hence an industry full of new ancillary charges or lower cost bases (wages). Anyway, sorry, i digress.

Buster the Bear
14th Aug 2018, 21:48
It will be interesting to see what they do. Firstly whether Milan is dropped altogether or whether it will return for summer as it did this year. Also whether Glasgow really is going, and whether they retain the likes of Dubrovnik and Prague at existing frequency.

Consensus seems to be that Dublin will go which is a shame, I actually don’t think FR is as good a fit. I think 189 seats arriving back in SEN at 11pm and leaving at 7am will be overkill and without public transport it will suffer the same fate as EZY’s attempts with Belfast and Edinburgh. I’ve not used DUB but would assume it also benefits other routes like Antwerp and Groningen, certainly people have been transferring from/to MAN flights I’ve travelled on.

I don’t think they’ll go back to regional Irish routes unless they picked up the Derry PSO. There actually are quite a few potential routes they could do though - Inverness, Zurich, Stuttgart, Montpellier, Bergen are examples of destinations not served from STN. There are a few that are served but not at great frequency like Turin. And some popular places that no one does from SEN like Nice and Naples.

Max 200 version 197 seats.

LTNman
15th Aug 2018, 06:17

Ryanair will be a turning point where the complaints start to outnumber the praises. Stobart won’t care, as passengers means income, I doubt if the majority here will care either and will demand more and more aircraft and routes.

Do folk here really want a mini me Luton? Where is the line drawn? I saw Southend as maybe an oasis, which I know is not the way to run an asset but it will be a sad day for me if the airport becomes just another place to have a moan about and to avoid.

So come summer 2019 will SEN have enough check-in desks, security lanes, enough seating both airside and landslide and enough baggage belts etc? Will the terminal be going 24 hour? I would have thought staffing levels are easy to fix if Stobart is willing to spend some money but is the terminal ready? I hope it is not going to have to play catch-up while passengers queue to get through the front door.

Strange though that it was only a few months ago that Southend seemed to be somewhat under used and now I am talking about maybe too many passengers but if the terminal is fairly small the tipping point could come quicker than people expect.

As I have yet to visit the new terminal maybe it is a lot bigger than I think. So what is the sqm of the terminal? By way of comparison Luton is now nudging 90,000sqm for a capacity of 18 million although that is pushing it somewhat.

shamrock7seal
15th Aug 2018, 06:23
Is there enough car parking? On the face of it the airport is pretty tight in terms of spaces... when FR comes in that is going to be essential isn't it?

AirportPlanner1
15th Aug 2018, 06:51
I would say that the airport will cope just about OK with the three additional aircraft. Any more than that I would suggest would require further extension.

The chap above mentions only one boarding pass scanner being open but that’s all I’ve ever experienced and my longest queue has still been far shorter than I experience at MAN to give one example. If the second one is open there certainly won’t be a problem.

I’ve only ever seen two x-rays open, there are another two sitting there so there’s some more capacity.

A couple of weeks ago there were quite a few spaces available, they might just about be OK on that front.

Capacity of cafes/bar in the am peak in particular may be a challenge but perhaps that could be mitigated by throwing in a mobile cart or two.

People also talk like all 12 or so aircraft will set off at the same time, in reality they are staggered so the impact is mitigated. Right now for example once the two early EZY, MAN and DUB board between about 6-6:25ish the place really quietens down. This will be the period in which things hot up for the couple of new 7:15ish FR departures.

Another mitigation is Stobart themselves shifting departures back assuming they maintain the current fleet, for example it looks as though the E195 07:30 departure is going back almost an hour from winter.

Expressflight
15th Aug 2018, 07:35
I've also never seen more than one boarding pass scanner being used at the entrance to the security hall but the capacity is there to double the throughput as Airport Planner1 says, so I don't see that as a major problem. Likewise there seems plenty of security screening capacity available with normally only 50% of the x-ray machine channels in use in my experience.

Everyone also seems to be forgetting that the extension of both ends of the current terminal has been approved and I expect that to be carried out over the winter. That will increase considerably its footprint and the number of boarding gates and the baggage reclaim capacity. I agree that car parking on-site may become a problem but planning consent exists for turning the old ATEL car park adjacent to the airport entrance into a 260 space valet car parking facility.

There is a great deal that needs doing before next March and I think that might be quite challenging to achieve but I'm sure one of those things will be further efforts to persuade Greater Anglia to provide earlier and later trains. They have always seemed intransigent previously but perhaps a larger carrot will now need to be offered.

Expressflight
15th Aug 2018, 08:25
As I have yet to visit the new terminal maybe it is a lot bigger than I think. So what is the sqm of the terminal? By way of comparison Luton is now nudging 90,000sqm for a capacity of 18 million although that is pushing it somewhat.

The terminal at SEN is currently 11,900sqm and the extension will bring this up to 15,506sqm. The first floor, which comprises the security hall, Skylife lounge, offices etc. will remain at 3,527sqm but the ground floor will increase in size by 43% to 11,979sqm. In effect the existing immigration hall will be incorporated into the departure hall, where additional gates will be opened. The existing baggage reclaim will become the new immigration hall and a new baggage reclaim hall will be added. That's something of an over-simplification but may help in visualising what is planned.

DC3 Dave
15th Aug 2018, 18:56
The terminal at SEN is currently 11,900sqm and the extension will bring this up to 15,506sqm. The first floor, which comprises the security hall, Skylife lounge, offices etc. will remain at 3,527sqm but the ground floor will increase in size by 43% to 11,979sqm. In effect the existing immigration hall will be incorporated into the departure hall, where additional gates will be opened. The existing baggage reclaim will become the new immigration hall and a new baggage reclaim hall will be added. That's something of an over-simplification but may help in visualising what is planned.

That's impressive detail, Expressflight. Are you project managing the construction?

Expressflight
15th Aug 2018, 20:56
Happily not.

LTNman
15th Aug 2018, 22:00
Quick calculation on an expanded Southend using Expressflight figures. When Southend reaches 3,058,000 passengers the airport will be as overcrowded at LTN.

AirportPlanner1
16th Aug 2018, 12:15
Some more Stobart schedule changes.

Budapest appears to end on 5th Jan, Prague and Vienna on 13th Jan.

A random selection of DUB and MAN flights have been taken out during Jan, Groningen loses the morning flight from Christmas to mid-Feb and Lyon and Cologne lose midweek flights during that period.

Glasgow is still on sale at the high price but until January there doesn’t appear to be any capacity available to operate it in the morning.

tophat27dt
16th Aug 2018, 12:30
Looks like the problematic G-FBEF is broken again in Dublin and the return flight to SEN was replaced by an ATR, which then positioned back empty thus more delays for the rest of the day. Pity because for the past three days the arrivals/departures board looked very nice with all flights on schedule.
update 1945 .EF is now on it's way back to SEN

SEN Observer
16th Aug 2018, 20:30
Looks like the problematic G-FBEF is broken again in Dublin and the return flight to SEN was replaced by an ATR, which then positioned back empty thus more delays for the rest of the day. Pity because for the past three days the arrivals/departures board looked very nice with all flights on schedule.
According to FR24 FBEF is back in Southend; landed about an hour ago from Dublin. Wonder what went wrong this time!

tophat27dt
17th Aug 2018, 06:12
Now it's Air Maltas turn. Their flight returned to Malta this morning presumably with a technical problem.

mik3bravo
17th Aug 2018, 07:09
When was its last CofA? Secondly, who's been used by them to carry out the recent previous maintenance work?

runwayman
17th Aug 2018, 12:31
It's just gone tech again!

tophat27dt
17th Aug 2018, 13:06
It's just gone tech again!
Cant they send it back and insist on another one?

mik3bravo
17th Aug 2018, 13:52
It's quite unbelievable how these tech issues are reoccurring time and time again. The tech issues have single handily destroyed the routes the a/c type is meant to serve. I can't get my head around how Stobart seem willing to carry on with this stop-go-stop a/c reliability. Shoving those bloody ATR's on those routes to pick up the pain is madness. It's actually now utterly ridiculous.
Who is maintaining these airframes and when is the CofA next up? Something isn't right. Is this now becoming a IAA/CAA potential matter?

rowly6339
17th Aug 2018, 14:03
Terminal expansion approved and will be ready for next year along with the runway upgrades and runway will be grooved also.

asdf1234
17th Aug 2018, 14:15
Terminal expansion approved and will be ready for next year along with the runway upgrades and runway will be grooved also.

Good news on the terminal extension. Flew into SEN yesterday afternoon, the only arrival on the ramp yet baggage took half an hour to appear on the belt - and the priority tagged items came out last. Stobart Handling need to up their game especially now that a larger terminal is on its way.

asdf1234
17th Aug 2018, 14:17
As an avid reader and admirer of your posts, asdf1234, I have to ask are you becoming a convert to the Stobart way, or are you just a big softie at heart, with your business nous sweep aside with the emotion generated by a dying airport's truly miraculous renaissance?

DC3 Dave, I applaud the risk that Stobart took in running their own airline from their own airport in a bid to prove routes. The big boys took notice and are now coming in to run the routes themselves. Hopefully Stobart did not give too much away in the form of incentives as they had already de-risked the route proposals.

asdf1234
17th Aug 2018, 14:24
Not me, but if you look on the website it's now highlighted and it appears to have been "tarted up" Give us your view if you try. I'm flying from SEN last week August and am interested in giving it a go.

The lounge didn't look any different from the last time I was in there so I gave it a miss. Given that the terminal was minus a plane load of passengers due to the cancelled Malaga flight I opted for Bourgee. Perfectly ok for a drink or two and the staff were better trained than the school leavers I had the misfortune to be served by previously.

DC3 Dave
17th Aug 2018, 14:42
Thanks. As the flight departs 1020 I'll be good and stick to Costa.

tophat27dt
18th Aug 2018, 07:23
It's quite unbelievable how these tech issues are reoccurring time and time again. The tech issues have single handily destroyed the routes the a/c type is meant to serve. I can't get my head around how Stobart seem willing to carry on with this stop-go-stop a/c reliability. Shoving those bloody ATR's on those routes to pick up the pain is madness. It's actually now utterly ridiculous.
Who is maintaining these airframes and when is the CofA next up? Something isn't right. Is this now becoming a IAA/CAA potential matter?
I certainly agree this machine with it's technical issues which nobody seems to be able to fix permanently is ruining their reputation. EF flew in from Prague at 2300 and seems broken again this morning delaying the Dublin flight outward by 4 hours. Is this aircraft leased (I do get confused) and why can it not be returned to FlyBe and replaced?

Cazza_fly
18th Aug 2018, 07:37
I certainly agree this machine with it's technical issues which nobody seems to be able to fix permanently is ruining their reputation. EF flew in from Prague at 2300 and seems broken again this morning delaying the Dublin flight outward by 4 hours. Is this aircraft leased (I do get confused) and why can it not be returned to FlyBe and replaced?

At least a couple of these ex-Flybe E195s caused regular major headaches and disruption whilst with Flybe too, in particular EF.
G-FBEJ is another that has been notorious in the past, but of course she is still with Flybe and also seems to have improved with the dispatch reliability significantly this year. I will never understand how or why Stobart chose to lease / purchase these airframes knowing their history. Surely with the amount of problems they have been facing with them an organisation might soon step in? CAA? Even Embraer themselves surely must be keeping a close eye on the reliability of this fleet and hopefully coming up with some kind of solution? There's very clearly some major issues to address. It's a real shame how much Stobart have allowed these problems to effect both theirs and the Flybe brand image from Southend...

mik3bravo
18th Aug 2018, 12:53
At least a couple of these ex-Flybe E195s caused regular major headaches and distuption whilst with Flybe too, in particular EF. G-FBEJ has been notorious in the past, but of course she is still with Flybe at the minute and also seems to have improved the dispatch reliability significantly this year. I will never understand how or why Stobart chose to lease / purchase these airframes knowing their history. Surely with this amount of problems they have been facing with them an organisation will soon be stepping in? CAA? Even Embraer themselves surely must be keeping a close eye on it and hopefully coming up with some kind of solution? There's very clearly some issues. It's a real shame how much Stobart have allowed these problems to effect both theirs and the Flybe brand image from Southend.

What is a concern is the high frequency of technical problems with these aircraft registrations in particular.

Is it a fundamental underlying fault or series of related faults? Or, is it a maintenance quality issue? How can we be sure pax safety integrity is not at risk from potential faults which may be missed? Is this not becoming a matter for authorities to step in and question the maintenance checks and logs? Something is not right if the high frequency of tech issues are persistently occurring to this level of frequency, it is not typical.

tophat27dt
18th Aug 2018, 13:58
What is a concern is the high frequency of technical problems with these aircraft registrations in particular.

Is it a fundamental underlying fault or series of related faults? Or, is it a maintenance quality issue? How can we be sure pax safety integrity is not at risk from potential faults which may be missed? Is this not becoming a matter for authorities to step in and question the maintenance checks and logs? Something is not right if the high frequency of tech issues are persistently occurring to this level of frequency, it is not typical.
EF was recently sent to the Embraear maintenance unit in Lisbon to have it's list of defects rectified. Clearly even they couldn't fix it. I heard previously that something "trips out" and has to be reset all the time, but not sure if this same fault is the problem now. When I used to dry lease in light aircraft for my flying club to cope with demand during the summer months, if I found later one was a bad apple in the basket, it was sent back and replaced by another aircraft. This question I asked about the Embraear but I guess nobody knows for sure the lease agreement terms. Plus there is a question of compensation. Can StobartAir claim this when chartering in replacement aircraft, or having to transfer pax to different airports?

SWBKCB
18th Aug 2018, 13:59
Is this just perception, or are there facts to back up these comments about the number of technical issues?

tophat27dt
18th Aug 2018, 14:02
Is this just perception, or are there facts to back up these comments about the number of technical issues?
I am sure somebody keeps a record of all the dates which EF has been unserviceable and schedules are cancelled or rearranged because of it. Any member of staff at SEN will tell you.

mik3bravo
18th Aug 2018, 16:10
We do business in Dublin and frequently got our staff travelling over and back to Dublin. We switched to Flybe/Stobart when we learned they stuck e195er on the route. Christ we had no idea it would end up such a hassled short hop service. Our staff have been dogged with numerous long delays and last minute pulled flights where the aircraft went tech. We gave up using them after it impacted our business in a serious way. So yes, it's not perception, there is definitely a major issue with the kit, and now they're pushing the ATRs onto the e195er routes to cover the tech issues. It's totally undependeble. Our staff now shoot down the A13 and take Cityflyer or Cityjet from City now. If we're stuck we shoot over the bridge to Gatwick or if desperate do the M11 run to Stansted zoo. Rarely but have used it over past 2 months, we've had guys take the Heathrow T2 option for frequency convenience to get to meetings at Dublin. Sadly, we won't do Southend as Flybe/Stobart can't get their affairs in order, we're running a business too so need reliable and punctual services to Dublin (and others places). That's my experiences so far of those clapped out pieces of junk Stobart got going tech all the time.

AirportPlanner1
18th Aug 2018, 17:02
It’s Dublin and Glasgow that get disproportionately impacted as those are the places you can comfortably send an ATR. A bit tricky to get one to Zadar.

On quite a few occasions such as today’s Lyon they end up sending two ATRs because there are too many pax for one.

Fletch
18th Aug 2018, 18:26
This must be burning through a load of Stobart's cash and can't go on indefinitely i'd have thought. They've obviously bought/leased some proper dogs which is killing the viability of their operation. A shame really as the whole setup at SEN is good and is a decent option for getting to London.
Although having never been involved in it, there is an industry in itself of advising on buying and selling aircraft and aircraft engines. When you look at the "ownership" of some aeroplanes it amazes me how many banks/folks have an interest in them. I don't think it's that easy just to trade it in with Flybe for another one.

tophat27dt
18th Aug 2018, 20:32
It’s Dublin and Glasgow that get disproportionately impacted as those are the places you can comfortably send an ATR. A bit tricky to get one to Zadar.

On quite a few occasions such as today’s Lyon they end up sending two ATRs because there are too many pax for one.
Weird. The first ATR EI-FMJ went to Lyons, but the second one not departed as of 2130 athough FMK and FSK are both sitting on the apron. What's going on?

AirportPlanner1
18th Aug 2018, 22:33
Weird. The first ATR EI-FMJ went to Lyons, but the second one not departed as of 2130 athough FMK and FSK are both sitting on the apron. What's going on?

Yes, it says cancelled. Perhaps some people gave up meaning they could fit everyone on the first one, or they just switched some people to tomorrow’s flight

Edit: Now scheduled for today, departing after the regular Sunday one unless the additional flight is today’s split in two

tophat27dt
19th Aug 2018, 14:55
I think it may be crewing problems today because all aircraft appear serviceable. Seems strange to ferry in an ATR from Dublin yesterday but no crews to fly it when needed. Big delays again today.

mik3bravo
19th Aug 2018, 15:43
You can't run a business this way. What is going on is complete and utter madness.

Those E195's which Stobart use will have had maintenance service logs available for inspection prior to acquiring. Someone at Stobart made a decision to use these clapped out pieces of junk. That individual should be handed their P45 and booted out. The disasterous service on these routes is a function of that original decision. It's like Carry on Flying.

DC3 Dave
19th Aug 2018, 15:55
What a great film that would have made! Sid James as Capt Randy. Kenneth Williams as FO Reverse-Thrust. Not forgetting Barbara Windsor as Stewardess Melinda Mile-High.

tophat27dt
19th Aug 2018, 16:10
What a great film that would have made! Sid James as Capt Randy. Kenneth Williams as FO Reverse-Thrust. Not forgetting Barbara Windsor as Stewardess Melinda Mile-High.
More like a disaster movie.....

Planespeaking
19th Aug 2018, 16:30
More like a disaster movie.....
Yes It's true that Stobart/ Flybe have Embraers that are frequently tech, with the consequent disruption to pax, but it's nothing like the havoc that Ryanair have caused at STN. Not so long ago SEN was handling about 30,000 pax year, now it's on the way to 1.5 million with various carriers, so perhaps it's not such a disaster after all. More like a 'right carry on' ✈️!!

southside bobby
19th Aug 2018, 17:07
Usual certain SEN contributor forum spin...

Any problems with SEN involve STN!.

The comparison with RYR does not cut it I`m afraid,totally differing factors.

SEN/STK problems mainly involve the actual aeroplanes which can be read ad nauseum on the thread.

I have no idea what is going on in the SEN terminal itself (only what I read here & not fussed) but it certainly would also be a matter of pro rata..ie smallish problems at a smallish aerodrome reflect as badly as a large problem at a large one.

STN doing very well thankyou.

You all wish SEN I`m sure to be a player so look to SEN for the solutions.

Planespeaking
19th Aug 2018, 17:21
Usual certain SEN contributor forum spin...

Any problems with SEN involve STN!.

The comparison with RYR does not cut it I`m afraid,totally differing factors.

SEN/STK problems mainly involve the actual aeroplanes which can be read ad nauseum on the thread.

I have no idea what is going on in the SEN terminal itself (only what I read here & not fussed) but it certainly would also be a matter of pro rata..ie smallish problems at a smallish aerodrome reflect as badly as a large problem at a large one.

STN doing very well thankyou.

You all wish SEN I`m sure to be a player so look to SEN for the solutions.
I'm so pleased STN is doing very well, especially as I was involved in it's design and development in the 80's. However SSB you seem very thin skinned when any adverse comparitor is mentioned about STN. Yes SEN does have problems, all airports do, even STN, the reasons may be different but let's accept criticism when it's obvious and deal with it, rather than becoming defensive, because then nothing is admitted, and if nothing is admitted nothing is remedied.

tophat27dt
19th Aug 2018, 18:51
Has ATR72 EI.-FMK gone u/s in Rennes? Return flight to SEN cancelled, as well as the SEN-MAN also cancelled.

DC3 Dave
19th Aug 2018, 20:12
Fly from Chateauroux instead, mes amis if a professional, reliable airline matters to you.

darren1
19th Aug 2018, 20:29
Having flown many times to ZAD and had no problems apert from warm white wine I’m now very reluctant to give these clowns anymore money

AirportPlanner1
19th Aug 2018, 21:02
Having flown many times to ZAD and had no problems apert from warm white wine I’m now very reluctant to give these clowns anymore money

You’re pretty safe booking ZAD. That along with Budapest, Vienna and Dubrovnik are almost always on schedule. The ATR routes are also very reliable, although clearly the wheels have come off today.

Really all the bad press revolves around shambolic performance on the Dublin and Glasgow routes, followed by Lyon. Milan and Prague are a bit more hit and miss.

compton3bravo
20th Aug 2018, 05:57
DC3 DAVE Rennes is nearly 400 kilometres from Chateauroux! I would not want you to be my navigator thank you

DC3 Dave
20th Aug 2018, 09:06
DC3 DAVE Rennes is nearly 400 kilometres from Chateauroux! I would not want you to be my navigator thank you

You got me Compton! (Not for the first time)

​​​​​​

compton3bravo
20th Aug 2018, 12:45
No problem Dave. It does seem that Stobart seem to be in a bit of a pickle on a number of fronts, but I have always thought they should have stuck to what they know best - road and rail logistics.

virginblue
20th Aug 2018, 13:23
Interesting post. This caught my attention:

We do business in Dublin and frequently got our staff travelling over and back to Dublin. We switched to Flybe/Stobart when we learned they stuck e195er on the route.

Why would your company use a service if it is run with an E95 but not if an ATR72 is on it? I always thought that this "Geez, it has props, must be a WW2 left-over" was more the approach my 80year old mother takes when it comes to using commercial air services.

What I am surprised about is that Stobart has not dumped the aircraft in question to BE and leased in a replacement as Flybe should be in some sort of breach of contract by providing an aircraft that breaks down all the time and would have to chip in some money to foot the bill.

Barling Magna
22nd Aug 2018, 08:45
Just for a change Echo Hotel has gone tech in Prague. Passengers rescued by a Titan 737. Can't blame Echo Fox all the time.....

tophat27dt
22nd Aug 2018, 10:56
Just for a change Echo Hotel has gone tech in Prague. Passengers rescued by a Titan 737. Can't blame Echo Fox all the time.....
It would be interesting to learn what type of technical problems these aircraft are suffering. Who in Prague can fix them if it's a speciality part or engineer required?

shamrock7seal
23rd Aug 2018, 04:59
I would have thought that Stobart Air has achieved its main objective which was to attract attention to SEN and entice big LCC's.

Surely now Stobart Air would be better to focus entirely on the Aer Lingus work they are doing for fear of losing that to CityJet in the future? Especially given the added annoyance of having to gain a UK AOC by March 2019 - for what?

However Stobart have been known to be completely unpredictable and irrational - so who knows!

AirportPlanner1
23rd Aug 2018, 08:38
I have been wondering whether the Flybe deal will end, and whether Stobart will seek to continue the SEN operation under the EIR brand instead. While I agree there is less of a case now for maintaining the E195 routes, although there are a few bits that don’t replicate new EZY and FR routes and I believe there are some opportunities that could be exploited, the ATR operation is a bit different. On the face of it it seems to tick over quite nicely, and fills a bit of a niche that can’t easily be replicated at other London airports and that larger aircraft don’t suit. This of course was supposed to be another advantage of SEN.

I’m doubtful Cityjet could step into the EIR operation imminently l as they don’t really have appropriate aircraft.

SWBKCB
23rd Aug 2018, 08:43
Why would Aer Lingus want to be involved with the SEN operations?

Expressflight
23rd Aug 2018, 09:04
That was in fact the original plan for 2014 but it didn't come about and that's when Stobart did the franchise deal with Flybe.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Aug 2018, 09:29
Why would Aer Lingus want to be involved with the SEN operations?

It would effectively be money for nothing, and a barely noticeable extension of the existing deal. MAN and RNS are even in the existing EIR network. Besides, if the operation is to be maintained there aren’t many other airlines that have franchising on such a basis....unless it becomes Ryanair Regional! They have just done a deal with Air Malta of course....

AirportPlanner1
23rd Aug 2018, 12:24
Further changes to the Stobart winter schedule - Glasgow is now off-sale and Caen is taking a break during Jan and the first half of Feb.

Expressflight
23rd Aug 2018, 13:16
....... and more surprisingly MAN not bookable after 6/1/19. The CFR winter break is normal for the route.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Aug 2018, 14:23
I hoped MAN wouldn’t be going but had some fears when they hiked the price recently. It’s odd it’s being run until early Jan though rather than cutting it at the end of the summer. It’s also been growing month by month.

If MAN does go that means from early Jan there isn’t much of the Stobart operation left. The schedule as currently on sale would only require a 2nd ATR between about 10-1 each day (except Sun when it’s late afternoon). The E195 schedule is even more sparse, three are required only on Sunday afternoons. Mon to Fri needs two between 8-4, and Saturday needs just one to service two flights.

Clearly there might be some further alterations to shift the rogue Sunday flight but overall it’s not looking too positive.

mik3bravo
23rd Aug 2018, 15:43
Tried back searching this thread but did a poster recently mention details of the runway will be resurfaced and grooved and taxiways upgraded? Have I misunterstood? When are the works to commence and what is the estimated completion time period?

Expressflight
23rd Aug 2018, 15:54
Yes, I believe the runway will will be grooved and re-profiled/resurfaced ahead of the start of RYR operations and I assume it will take place during the autumn/winter months. As far as taxiways are concerned I've heard nothing on that score but one thing that could be considered is a holding loop serving the threshold of runway 05 as that would increase the movement capacity of the runway.

mik3bravo
23rd Aug 2018, 16:18
RWY05 threshold mods will be welcomed if they happen.

Tagron
23rd Aug 2018, 17:15
The runway work is no small undertaking. By way of comparison Exeter resurfaced their runway last winter over a five month period November-March. They achieved it with only night closures of the runway at weekends. So the SEN work will undoubtedly impact on operations, though to what extent remains to be seen. Clearly Stobart cannot afford a repeat of the CAX fiasco with RYR expecting to start SEN operations on April 2.

I would be surprised if they took on the RW05 loop at this stage. They don't have planning permission for it yet and that alone may take time they don't have. I would have thought it could only be a distraction to the time critical resurfacing task though one can see the advantages of getting the job done when the equipment is already on site and the runway closed.

Planespeaking
24th Aug 2018, 08:49
SEN rated the best London airport for the fifth year running by Which Magazine.

mik3bravo
24th Aug 2018, 09:04
SEN rated the best London airport for the fifth year running by Which Magazine.
I tried digging it out, no luck. Have you got the link?

Planespeaking
24th Aug 2018, 09:11
I tried digging it out, no luck. Have you got the link?
Its posted on the Daily Mail website and the Southend Echo site.

LTNman
24th Aug 2018, 10:21
That's not the whole story, as Southend was not listed in the larger airport section. In that section Heathrow Terminal 5 came first. Southend came second overall in the small airport section behind Doncaster but was the most popular small London Airport ahead of London City.

No one mention L****n please is it was in its usual position.

Table here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/7086635/luton-airport-uk-worst-2018/

Planespeaking
24th Aug 2018, 10:42
That's not the whole story, as Southend was not listed in the larger airport section. In that section Heathrow Terminal 5 came first. Southend came second overall in the small airport section behind Doncaster but was the most popular small London Airport ahead of London City.

No one mention L****n please it it was in its usual position.

Table here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/7086635/luton-airport-uk-worst-2018/

LTNman don't rain on SEN's parade after all it only has 1.5m pax pa compared with LTN's 18.m. But perhaps it is punching above it's weight .....at the moment !! LTN ,according to Which, maybe on it's back in the gutter but to paraphrase the great Oscar Wilde ..."it is looking at the stars." Onwards and upwards for both facilities.

LTNman
24th Aug 2018, 12:21
People here rejoice at Southend’s popularity and rightly so but wish for the airport to be heaving like its London rivals. Be careful what you wish for, I will always be in the minority of one but in my eyes I would gladly give you a million Luton passengers.

Planespeaking
24th Aug 2018, 12:38
People here rejoice at Southend’s popularity and rightly so but wish for the airport to be heaving like its London rivals. Be careful what you wish for, I will always be in the minority of one but in my eyes I would gladly give you a million Luton passengers.
With FR setting up at SEN next year it may well get another million pax, but then I have a feeling SEN's popularity may begin to drop.

claron
24th Aug 2018, 14:48
Flybe/Stobart flights delayed again today. Milan announced 3 and a half hours delay. Should be 1610. Now due 1930.

Good old Stobart!!!

mik3bravo
24th Aug 2018, 15:20
Flybe/Stobart flights delayed again today. Milan announced 3 and a half hours delay. Should be 1610. Now due 1930.

Good old Stobart!!!
Consistency, old boy. It's all about consistency, and when I think FLYBE or Stobart I immediately associate both brands with consistent poor reliability and totally undependeble. I can't trust either brand to deliver services. Steer clear of both brands.

DC3 Dave
24th Aug 2018, 15:25
Most disgruntled this morning were the Air Malta pax. But it demonstrated to me that the terminal remains very comfortable with current numbers. As for me? 8 minutes late on EZY I can live with!

stewyb
28th Aug 2018, 17:20
Apologies if already discussed but are Stobart/Flybe ending their 5 year franchise agreement due to expire in March 2019 as it seems most destinations on the BE website are either not available or priced sky high at any point between November '18 and March '19?

AirportPlanner1
28th Aug 2018, 17:56
Apologies if already discussed but are Stobart/Flybe ending their 5 year franchise agreement due to expire in March 2019 as it seems most destinations on the BE website are either not available or priced sky high at any point between November '18 and March '19?

Already been highlighted and looking increasingly likely. To recap Glasgow and Milan appear to finish at the end of October with Manchester, Budapest, Prague and Vienna ceasing in January. Caen is stopping for Jan and early Feb. All other routes except Rennes have had services deleted particularly midweek. All of these were previously on sale for the whole winter. Dubrovnik and Zadar are of course seasonal anyway. Rennes has partially shifted to an E195, the only route to see any increase.

The slightly odd things are that Glasgow, Manchester and Milan remain in the timetable but say full when trying to book whereas Budapest, Prague and Vienna are formally removed on both. It’s also odd that Manchester would carry on until New Year rather than stopping at the end of summer.

Expressflight
28th Aug 2018, 18:01
As you say all rather odd but presumably clarity will emerge before too long. Caen normally takes a break in January and February so nothing unusual in that.

DC3 Dave
28th Aug 2018, 20:46
With Cityjet's recent announcement the pot seems to have been well and truly stirred, given that some here expressed the view that we could possibly see an extension of the Aer Lingus / Stobart deal involving SEN. But for me, even if there is (as seems most likely) a reduction in Stobart services, with FR coming and the long awaited 4th EZY here they've had some success given the accepted reasons behind the dramatic expansion of the Flybe franchise. Maybe the fact that it was time limited was useful to say the least.

PDXCWL45
28th Aug 2018, 20:51
With Cityjet's recent announcement the pot seems to have been well and truly stirred, given that some here expressed the view that we could possibly see an extension of the Aer Lingus / Stobart deal involving SEN. But for me, even if there is (as seems most likely) a reduction in Stobart services, with FR coming and the long awaited 4th EZY here they've had some success given the accepted reasons behind the dramatic expansion of the Flybe franchise. Maybe the fact that it was time limited was useful to say the least.
Wasn't the whole point of Stobart operating those routes with their own aircraft to attract the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair? Surely now it's job done for them? Question now is what will they do with the aircraft?

EI-BUD
28th Aug 2018, 20:58
Too many things lining up as I've mentioned before;

- namely arrival of Ryanair @ SEN
- end of the IOM ops for Flybe
- contract expiry for Flybe contract

now the time is right to transition to an ACMI operation...?

DC3 Dave
28th Aug 2018, 21:12
Wasn't the whole point of Stobart operating those routes with their own aircraft to attract the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair? Surely now it's job done for them? Question now is what will they do with the aircraft?

Indeed it was and fair play they certainly moved things forward for the airport. For me the real question is are they (Stobart Air) in control of their own destiny?

AirportPlanner1
28th Aug 2018, 22:01
Indeed it was and fair play they certainly moved things forward for the airport. For me the real question is are they (Stobart Air) in control of their own destiny?

Another question is what happens to the more niche ATR routes unsuited to larger capacity aircraft which seem to tick along quite nicely

southside bobby
29th Aug 2018, 05:45
Confirmation from the Irish Independent....

Stobart Air pulling 2 EMB190`s from SEN.

Services to Malpensa,Venice,Budapest & Prague will cease.

The 3rd EMB 190 will continue on the SEN/DUB,eventually coming up against RYR.

It is thought the removed `190s will be redeployed with announcements as to where expected in the next few weeks.

mik3bravo
29th Aug 2018, 06:38
Confirmation from the Irish Independent....

Stobart Air pulling 2 EMB190`s from SEN.

Services to Malpensa,Venice,Budapest & Prague will cease.

The 3rd EMB 190 will continue on the SEN/DUB,eventually coming up against RYR.

It is thought the removed `190s will be redeployed with announcements as to where expected in the next few weeks.
Redeployed!
I feel sorry for the pax who will end up getting these jinxed airframes. Having reviewed FlightRadar24 logs, there are a lot of red and amber dots pinned against these airframes signifying their delay and cancellation history, some due to the wx but most due to tech issues.

tws123
4th Sep 2018, 19:15
Antwerp route increased to 6x weekly (no Saturday flight) following VLM’s demise.

DC3 Dave
5th Sep 2018, 16:21
Responsible Growth. Not sure what it means, but it sounds good.

Glyn Jones: Future Southend Airport expansion 'will be responsible' | Echo (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16690594.future-expansion-will-be-responsible/)

stewyb
5th Sep 2018, 18:41

Glyn Jones: Future Southend Airport expansion 'will be responsible' Echo (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16690594.future-expansion-will-be-responsible/)

They sold their soul to Ryanair and now they have to make a viable return by switching the business model to long term, sustainable growth!

mik3bravo
6th Sep 2018, 06:43

Glyn Jones: Future Southend Airport expansion 'will be responsible' Echo (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16690594.future-expansion-will-be-responsible/)

Maybe they are pitching the comment to speak to the airports neighbours and local community. I can imagine inhabitants within the vicinity, especially those on the centre line approaches may be concerned at increased traffic movements and perhaps any future efforts to amendment the operation hours through a new planning application to the planning authority.

Also, responsible growth could equally mean sustainable growth with partnerships. Fantastic news they've attracted Europe's largest low cost airline, master stroke (commercially speaking) but it comes with an almost 'buyer beware health warning. Ryanair is a dominant participant to the agreement, meaning the tail will wag the dog, and SEN management will acknowledge those risks. Ryanair have nomadic tendencies, if the KPI's don't deliver, they ruthlessly defend their growth strategies and SEN should or will know that is a significant business risk and I'd imagine SEN management will have measures in place to ensure Ryanair remain a good partner and a responsible citizen in the context of the local community and neighbours close by the airport.

compton3bravo
6th Sep 2018, 07:53
The only thing that Ryanair is concerned about is Ryanair, you only have to look at its record over many years.

DC3 Dave
6th Sep 2018, 10:52
Talking of Ryanair, I was just looking on their website at flights to Crete. When I entered C in the destination box Cagliari and Catania popped up as destinations "Operated by Air Malta."

sinbad73
6th Sep 2018, 10:54
Talking of Ryanair, I was just looking on their website at flights to Crete. When I entered C in the destination box Cagliari and Catania popped up as destinations "Operated by Air Malta."

Isn't that possibly something to do with the connecting flight service they offer at certain airports?

virginblue
6th Sep 2018, 11:51
Isn't that possibly something to do with the connecting flight service they offer at certain airports?

No, it is because Ryanair now sells Air Malta flights.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-website-to-sell-air-malta-flights/

DC3 Dave
6th Sep 2018, 12:19
That's very interesting, thanks.

canberra97
6th Sep 2018, 16:56
That's very interesting, thanks.

Which was officially announced on the 21 August 2018.

DC3 Dave
6th Sep 2018, 17:37
Which was officially announced on the 21 August 2018.

Some of us are slower on the uptake than others. I will try harder to keep up.

canberra97
6th Sep 2018, 17:52
Some of us are slower on the uptake than others. I will try harder to keep up.

Some alternative sites to help you keep up.

routesonline
ch.aviation

Most topics obviously not all of them discussed here on Pprune are usually first revealed on those sites days and sometimes weeks before there even talked about on here as I have always found that the Pprune site is usually the last place to look at if your wanting to keep updated on a daily basis with what's going on in the aviation industry. The only good thing about Pprune is that we can discuss such topics.

SEN Observer
10th Sep 2018, 11:07
Quite impressive at SEN this morning. Three A320s all on stands at the same time and not an A319 in sight! 9H AEO, G EZWA and OE IVA. Nice to see.

tws123
12th Sep 2018, 13:04
FR announce Copenhagen as a new route. 3x weekly from 2nd April 2019.

Expressflight
12th Sep 2018, 13:23
I don't know how they schedule the Saturday CPH to arrive back at SEN at 23.40, as 23.30 is the cut off time for any scheduled arrival under the terms of the Section 106 agreement. That still leaves three unused weekly RYR slots by my calculation.

tophat27dt
12th Sep 2018, 13:54
I don't know how they schedule the Saturday CPH to arrive back at SEN at 23.40, as 23.30 is the cut off time for any scheduled arrival under the terms of the Section 106 agreement. That still leaves three unused weekly RYR slots by my calculation.
But I assume no trains to London?

tophat27dt
12th Sep 2018, 13:55
Good news. Should be a popular route.

Expressflight
13th Sep 2018, 07:12
I see that RYR have now added a second SEN-DUB on Saturdays and Sundays.

DC3 Dave
13th Sep 2018, 09:48

Wonderful! Wonderful! Sorry.

mikkie4
14th Sep 2018, 19:15
PAX numbers for the month of JULY...MAN 5.800.....GLAS 6,219...Is that healthy or could do better?

&

AirportPlanner1
14th Sep 2018, 20:18
That’s an average of 36 to MAN (52%) which is pretty good all things considered and continuing to grow. It may actually be a bit higher than that due to a couple of cancellations

DC3 Dave
14th Sep 2018, 20:36
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16861303.dont-miss-new-flights-from-southend-to-malaga-from-next-summer/

Now, personally I always choose EZY over FR whenever possible even if it costs me a little extra. But I will be flying to AGP at least twice next year and want to fly sometime between mid morning to lunchtime. FR's 1300 departure suits me just fine. I seriously can't do EZY's 0630 anymore.

mikke4
The figure for Glasgow is equivalent to 200 pax per day traveling both ways between SEN and GLA. Somebody must have looked at this. I certainly would if I had aircraft with 50 seats

Expressflight
15th Sep 2018, 06:59
That’s an average of 36 to MAN (52%) which is pretty good all things considered and continuing to grow. It may actually be a bit higher than that due to a couple of cancellations
The number of pax per flight on the MAN route was actually 37 taking into account cancellations and was 60 for GLA. As far as route viability in the eyes of an alternative operator is concerned it will be the yield that the route produces within those raw figures that would be the deciding factor. The MAN route also currently enjoys the benefits of the Flybe MAN hub for through booked connections so I don't see any other operator taking it on next year unfortunately.

AirportPlanner1
19th Sep 2018, 21:47
Not sure if it’s been reported already but the IG Avion flights to Chateauroux cease next weekend. I thought they were originally scheduled all through the summer timetable. I’d be shocked if they return next year.

southside bobby
20th Sep 2018, 06:53
Latest Stobart/SEN stats & financials released to market this morning.