PDA

View Full Version : Southend-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19

Planespeaking
22nd Aug 2019, 06:57
Possibly some sort of announcement tomorrow

Reported by Reuters WizzAir to commence services with 14 flights per week from SEN.

Also hanger being re-furbished in readiness for freight flights for Amazon.

Expressflight
22nd Aug 2019, 07:11
The first three routes are Bucharest, Sibiu and Vilnius, commencing in October and November. Should be on sale from today.

DC3 Dave
22nd Aug 2019, 08:28
Reported by Reuters WizzAir to commence services with 14 flights per week from SEN.

Great news coming so soon after the slightly disappointing Loganair reduction in services.

Anyone who's followed this thread over the last 2/3 years will appreciate how long it has taken to get here.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17853504.southend-airport-fly-romania-lithuania-wizz-air-partnership/

runwayman
22nd Aug 2019, 09:52
Interestingly the Sibiu operates inbound on days 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 but appears to operate only outbound Days 3/7

AirportPlanner1
22nd Aug 2019, 09:57
It’s actually 15 weekly - daily to Sibiu, 5x weekly to Bucharest (Mon/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sun) and 3x weekly to Vilnius (Tue/Thu/Sun).

The Tue and Sat departures to Vilnius are at 17:55, otherwise the rest are quite late - 19:40 on Thu, Bucharest 21:25 and Sibiu 21:30. This seems good for the airport as it avoids peak and will allow retail/f&b units to open longer with more activity.

tws123
22nd Aug 2019, 14:12
Just seen that Ryanair are also launching SEN-Bucharest as well in November at 5x weekly.

Direct competition in response to new Wizz Air flights perhaps?

Plane mad 134
22nd Aug 2019, 14:53
Ryanair done the same at Edinburgh.

Planespeaking
22nd Aug 2019, 15:14
Just seen that Ryanair are also launching SEN-Bucharest as well in November at 5x weekly.

Direct competition in response to new Wizz Air flights perhaps?
Interesting. Perhaps it shows that FR consider SEN important enough to fight for.

LBIA
22nd Aug 2019, 15:18
Ryanair have announced London Southend to Bucharest (5x weekly) and Vilnius (3x weekly)

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-continues-central-eastern-european-expansion/

1sky
22nd Aug 2019, 16:40
SEN based aircraft obviously so what routes are Ryanair cancelling to operate Bucharest and Vilnius?

fatmed
22nd Aug 2019, 17:11
SEN based aircraft obviously so what routes are Ryanair cancelling to operate Bucharest and Vilnius?
they were only operating 2 of the 3 based in winter so plenty of spaces for these.

pabely
22nd Aug 2019, 18:26
I assume night flights, how will that effect Night Quota and thus Stobart Jet Centre?

AirportPlanner1
22nd Aug 2019, 19:40
Ryanair have announced London Southend to Bucharest (5x weekly) and Vilnius (3x weekly)

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-continues-central-eastern-european-expansion/

Entirely coincidental I’m sure but both routes operating the same days as Wizz

DC3 Dave
22nd Aug 2019, 19:49
So Ryanair quickly match Wizz on 2 out of 3 new routes. Poker? Chess? Madness?

LTNman
22nd Aug 2019, 20:18
Guess there will only be one winner with two losers including Southend. Luton saw a fight between Ryanair and Easyjet on the Copenhagen route making it Luton's busiest route. As soon as Ryanair won the battle they retreated back to Stansted with their win leaving Luton with a few crumbs. It seems history is going to repeat itself with Southend also being a victim as it is already looking like Wizz could be in for a short stay which will be a big shame.

Stobart must be looking on in disbelief as Ryanair is now calling the shots.

DC3 Dave
22nd Aug 2019, 20:40
Guess there will only be one winner with two losers including Southend. Luton saw a fight between Ryanair and Easyjet on the Copenhagen route making it Luton's busiest route. As soon as Ryanair won the battle they retreated back to Stansted with their win leaving Luton with a few crumbs. It seems history is going to repeat itself with Southend also being a victim as it is already looking like Wizz could be in for a short stay which will be a big shame.

There must be a mole at SEN (or Wizz) for FR to react so quickly. Or are we looking at matters from the wrong perspective? Maybe Wizz knew in advance what FR had planned for the winter and decided to aim a blow to their proverbials just because they could?

AirportPlanner1
22nd Aug 2019, 20:43

The CPH battle had different dynamics. The route was Stansted’s - for many years it had been operated circa 3x daily by SAS/Go/Easyjet.

Then EZY shifted it to LTN 3 x daily, and along came FR to join them matching the frequency. £10 returns followed, until EZY gave up and FR returned the route to STN at the same frequency it always had been.

This time there is a new entrant to SEN operating some routes the airport has never had to some routes the incumbents don’t serve. What happens next is anyone’s guess but it’s not a foregone conclusion FR will win this time although there are more questions than answers (what next? what happens next summer when summer routes are ramped up and they can’t fit them into the schedule?)

AirportPlanner1
22nd Aug 2019, 20:45
There must be a mole at SEN (or Wizz) for FR to react so quickly. Or are we looking at matters from the wrong perspective? Maybe Wizz knew in advance what FR had planned for the winter and decided to aim a blow to their proverbials just because they could?

To me it looks like FR saw the news with everyone else and quickly put together a spoiler. Otherwise they’d have had the route announced and on sale yesterday. Not announced and then on sale a couple of hours later.

DC3 Dave
22nd Aug 2019, 20:59
AP, you would know better than me. Who is likely to win this battle? Seems to me that underestimating Wizz's resolve and resources is something you do at considerable risk. Only worth doing if FR have serious long term ambitious at SEN.

LTNman
22nd Aug 2019, 21:04
It has certainly taken the gloss off from the start of the day. Plenty of potential new routes from Southend and now we have two players announcing the same new routes on the same day. In the short term it will be great for SEN with passengers chasing £10 fares but the party won’t last long. For Stobart their mission will be to keep Wizz at the airport with Ryanair trying to force them out. Deepest pockets comes to mind and Ryanair has the deepest pockets.

As for Ryanair they have no commitment to any airport apart from a few big players so forcing Wizz to leave means no long term commitment to Southend.

DC3 Dave
22nd Aug 2019, 21:20
It has certainly taken the gloss off from the start of the day. Plenty of potential new routes from Southend and now we have two players announcing the same new routes on the same day. In the short term it will be great for SEN with passengers chasing £10 fares but the party won’t last long. For Stobart their mission will be to keep Wizz at the airport with Ryanair trying to force them out. Deepest pockets comes to mind and Ryanair has the deepest pockets.

As for Ryanair they have no commitment to any airport apart from a few big players so forcing Wizz to leave means no long term commitment to Southend.

But previously you spoke of the battle for CPH. We are not talking about Denmark. We are talking about Wizz's back yard. Doesn't that give them an edge here?

EI-BUD
22nd Aug 2019, 22:13
I agree completely, Wizz does have an edge.

Wizz is an ultra low cost carrier and a giant in Eastern Europe. I'd like to be persuaded that Ryanair is ULCC too, but I'm not. Ryanair have scale and resources to wage a long war against Wizz as they've done in Cork and Belfast. But London is completely different to those destinations, there is serious volume in the London market.

Besides, Wizz have shown their intent on entering Edinburgh. Let's look around; Lufthansa have publically said that they are not allowing Ryanair to squeeze them off any route in a predatory style attack, and airlines will increasingly recognise that if they can, they should hold tight, Ryanair back off when losses are significant enough.

The new leader at easyJet recognises this and they've held firm in the face of Ryanair at Belfast and in many UK airports are larger than Ryanair.

Ryanair now have a very new outlook, much reduced growth on the back of the Max issue, disasterous dip in relations with unions and the usual need to deliver shareholder value. I sense that the European industry will stand firm against Ryanair threat especially in light of their current challenges. Germany is a great example...

Good luck Wizz and great news for SEN, such a great little airport to use!

LTNman
23rd Aug 2019, 05:53
I have to laugh, Ryanair was the airline that stated it would withdraw all UK EU flights if those stupid Brits voted to leave the EU yet it continues to open up new UK routes post Brexit.

Going back to Southend and the battle of Wizz and Ryanair. This is just a stupid move that will act against the interests of the airport. If Wizz withdraw the routes after loosing money they might well pull out of Southend rather than trying other routes in the knowledge that Ryanair could launch spoiler routes as well.

Southend serves next to nowhere and now we have this when there was enough cake to keep everyone happy. No doubt the bum counters here will be shouting about high passenger figures in the coming months and then will be surprised when it all ends in tears.

Expressflight
23rd Aug 2019, 06:50
I have to laugh.

Southend serves next to nowhere and now we have this when there was enough cake to keep everyone happy. No doubt the bum counters here will be shouting about high passenger figures in the coming months and then will be surprised when it all ends in tears.
I have to laugh as well. I don't consider 40 destinations on sale as serving "next to nowhere" and your second point is disingenuous; most posters on here understand the machinations of RYR and its potential consequences all too well.

Planespeaking
23rd Aug 2019, 07:04
[QUOTE=LTNman;10552188]I have to laugh, Ryanair was the airline that stated it would withdraw all UK EU flights if those stupid Brits voted to leave the EU yet it continues to open up new UK routes post Brexit.

Going back to Southend and the battle of Wizz and Ryanair. This is just a stupid move that will act against the interests of the airport. If Wizz withdraw the routes after loosing money they might well pull out of Southend rather than trying other routes in the knowledge that Ryanair could launch spoiler routes as well.
a
Southend serves next to nowhere and now we have this when there was enough cake to keep everyone happy. No doubt the bum counters here will be shouting about high passenger figures in the coming months and then will be surprised when it all ends in tears.[/QUOTE

"Southend serves next to nowhere" Good ol' LTNman, thankyou for your usual considered and unbiased critique.

LTNman
23rd Aug 2019, 07:52
I have to laugh as well. I don't consider 40 destinations on sale as serving "next to nowhere" and your second point is disingenuous; most posters on here understand the machinations of RYR and its potential consequences all too well.

I wasn't meant to be sounding disingenuous but even you will agree that there are many untapped routes out there to keep everyone happy. Wizz should have been the start of long association with SEN that is now already in doubt after only 24 hours hours. Ryanair friend or foe to SEN as it tries to restrict big boy airlines? Still trying to work that out for the long term although for now it is clearly a friend with its new routes and services.

aurigny72
23rd Aug 2019, 08:37
Well i for one would like to congratulate Stobart in getting Wizz Air to operate into SEN, they apparently have been after them for quite a long while and some people thought it would not happen, although they said the same about Ryanair and indeed Easyjet as well. Its a shame that Ryanair have stepped in straight away on two of their routes and somewhat spoiled the party, lets hope that this wont mean that it will be a short stay at SEN for Wizz Air or put them off from opening any further routes into SEN. I feel that Easyjet who have been at SEN for over 8 years now have not exploited the full potential of their SEN base and should in my humble opinion have expanded with more routes and based aircraft. It will be very interesting to see probably next month, when the summer 2020 schedules are released if EZY and FR add any new routes from SEN.

Sharklet_321
23rd Aug 2019, 09:37
These are not low frequencies either, pretty significant... If they can pull this off and make a long-term success out of inbound eastern european markets then it finally shows the airport is being used as designed - as an alternative London airport. That 10mppa no longer looks like pie in the sky. Stansted should be concerned as it will slow their growth rate for sure (and by that I mean Ryanair at STN).

scodaman
23rd Aug 2019, 09:55
Derry Journal Newspaper in N.Ireland reporting new City of Derry Airport to Southend route.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/traffic-and-travel/new-derry-to-london-air-route-set-to-take-off-1-9045668

Planespeaking
23rd Aug 2019, 10:39
These are not low frequencies either, pretty significant... If they can pull this off and make a long-term success out of inbound eastern european markets then it finally shows the airport is being used as designed - as an alternative London airport. That 10mppa no longer looks like pie in the sky. Stansted should be concerned as it will slow their growth rate for sure (and by that I mean Ryanair at STN).

It's good to see SEN growing for all sorts if reasons, however before it even gets to 5mppa there will have to be major infrastructure improvements. Local road access is heavily congested now, the main London route, the A127, suffers badly at peak times too.

The terminal will need to be considerably enlarged, though I understand planning permission exists for that, and airport parking will need a major upgrade, perhaps with provision of multi stories or park and ride.

Airside more stands will be required, possibly remote, therefore requiring coaching between a/c and the terminal.

But it's rather nice to think SEN has problems of success to deal with rather than the naysayers who have prophesied it's demise.

LTNman
23rd Aug 2019, 11:09
But previously you spoke of the battle for CPH. We are not talking about Denmark. We are talking about Wizz's back yard. Doesn't that give them an edge here?

You are looking at this from the wrong airport. LTN is Easyjet's HQ and second biggest UK base after Gatwick. Ryanair came, conquered and then retreated back to its heartland leaving Easyjet to lick its wounds and was left with nothing.

From SEN point of view it would have been much better to leave Wizz unchallenged so they can get a foothold, make a profit and to expand their SEN operations. Might still happen but life has just got more complicated for them.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Aug 2019, 11:20
So what is the story with the Derry route? Is this the existing PSO shifting over or something else? If the former it is something some of us have predicted but I didn’t know the contract was up for renewal.

LTNman
23rd Aug 2019, 11:31
Stobart shares suspended

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49445495 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49445495)

Fly757X
23rd Aug 2019, 11:49
So what is the story with the Derry route? Is this the existing PSO shifting over or something else? If the former it is something some of us have predicted but I didn’t know the contract was up for renewal.

The contract was awarded on an emergency basis after the collapse on BMI Regional. This runs for 7 months so was up for renewal in September.

Andy_S
23rd Aug 2019, 11:53
Stobart shares suspended

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49445495 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49445495)

This refers to Eddie Stobart, of course, rather than Stobart Group. Shouldn't make any difference to Stobart Group day to day business, although I believe they still own part of Eddie Stobart so longer term the balance sheet could take a hit.

Aren't you all glad that Andrew Tinkler didn't get to re-unite the two groups, as he planned to do not so long ago?

fatmed
23rd Aug 2019, 13:27
LTNMAN got a bit prematurely excited there lol

aurigny72
23rd Aug 2019, 14:13
LTNMAN got a bit prematurely excited there lol
Yes fatmed any bit of supposedly bad news for SEN there is LTNMAN back in a flash to let us all know about it, yet when there is good news for SEN e.g. new airlines/new routes starting one does not hear much from him

scodaman
23rd Aug 2019, 14:21
Confirmed that the Ldy route is moving from Stansted to Southend and it appears to be Loganair.

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/traffic-and-travel/derry-london-air-route-to-switch-from-stansted-to-southend-1-9046184

SWBKCB
23rd Aug 2019, 15:06
It's good to see SEN growing for all sorts if reasons, however before it even gets to 5mppa there will have to be major infrastructure improvements. Local road access is heavily congested now, the main London route, the A127, suffers badly at peak times too.

The terminal will need to be considerably enlarged, though I understand planning permission exists for that, and airport parking will need a major upgrade, perhaps with provision of multi stories or park and ride.

Airside more stands will be required, possibly remote, therefore requiring coaching between a/c and the terminal.

But it's rather nice to think SEN has problems of success to deal with rather than the naysayers who have prophesied it's demise.

So plenty more money to be spent? Isn't the total well north of £100m already? To be honest, operating SEN should be like fishing in a barrel - they're the only operator with plentiful peak time availability in one of the worlds most buoyant aviation markets. Unless the bubble bursts the only issue should be whether they can develop effectively, especially given the constrained site, and get to the tipping point before the money runs out.

Expressflight
23rd Aug 2019, 15:10
The Department of Transport have confirmed that the route will transfer to SEN wef 27th October 2019 and, it says, operate 26 x weekly on Loganair E145s. I thought it was twice daily so maybe that's 26 sectors.

SARF
23rd Aug 2019, 15:20
New taxiway.. more stands and a new terminal, or hefty extension .. all great for jobs in the area.
‘Is the Amazon story true or just a rumour ?

Expressflight
23rd Aug 2019, 15:41
‘Is the Amazon story true or just a rumour ?
As far as I can find out it is true but nothing has been said officially so I think I'll not say any more until it is.

LTNman
23rd Aug 2019, 15:48
Yes fatmed any bit of supposedly bad news for SEN there is LTNMAN back in a flash to let us all know about it, yet when there is good news for SEN e.g. new airlines/new routes starting one does not hear much from him

I just find it really depressing when I read a comment like this. No basis for the comment but lets make it anyway. I would suggest next time that you think twice before you write BS.

SARF
23rd Aug 2019, 16:10
As far as I can find out it is true but nothing has been said officially so I think I'll not say any more until it is.
thanks EF.....

Falcon666
23rd Aug 2019, 16:27
Amazon usually use the nearest Airport as their identifier for fulfilment centres. IE LTN1-4 , EDI , GLA , CWL
Does anybody know if there is a Amazon site close to Southend as this is usually a good indication.

Great news about Wizz flights, SEN certainly on a roll right now.
I do wonder what Stobarts plan is though, simply build up the Airport and sell on or are they really in it for the long term?

AirportPlanner1
23rd Aug 2019, 16:32
Does anybody know if there is a Amazon site close to Southend as this is usually a good indicator

They have one in Canning Town, for which SEN is probably the best airport as it’s straight down the A13.

Planespeaking
23rd Aug 2019, 16:45
I just find it really depressing when I read a comment like this. No basis for the comment but lets make it anyway. I would suggest next time that you think twice before you write BS.
Look back on some of today's post from four or five different contributors, all of whom find an anti SEN theme in your comments.

Of course you are right to express your opinion, but don't come over all offended when people call you out when you gloat at every bit of perceived bad news about SEN. Which you have done for months and years.

What you don't seem to understand is that when you do post something of interest or fact it is disregarded because of your anti SEN track record.

Now instead of being a keyboard warrior telling airport and airline CEOs where they have gone wrong (and by the way why haven't you been co-opted into aviation boardrooms around London) give the rest of us a balanced opinion which we can respect.

Red Four
23rd Aug 2019, 16:48
One in Tilbury since 2017, most likely to do with that one.

LTNman
23rd Aug 2019, 17:18
I would suggest without offending anyone that when space is tight you don't want a cargo operation like Amazon if they block stands all day with parked cargo aircraft when those stands could be used for passengers flights. Looking forward at a much bigger Southend where passengers are bused to remote stands where would an Amazon operation go that would never impact on passenger capacity? Also what about the night limits or are all cargo flights exempt?.

pabely
23rd Aug 2019, 17:39
I would suggest without offending anyone that when space is tight you don't want a cargo operation like Amazon if they block stands all day with parked cargo aircraft when those stands could be used for passengers flights. Looking forward at a much bigger Southend where passengers are bused to remote stands where would an Amazon operation go that would never impact on passenger capacity? Also what about the night limits or are all cargo flights exempt?.
I don't think anyone is suggesting Cargo planes being based, but it might restrict all that Biz traffic which had been picked up from other London airports.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Aug 2019, 18:29
Is there any freight being turfed out of other airports because they’d rather have the slots for bigger pax aircraft? What about those Swift Brasilia’s at STN, who do they operate for?

STN Ramp Rat
23rd Aug 2019, 18:36
Is there any freight being turfed out of other airports because they’d rather have the slots for bigger pax aircraft? What about those Swift Brasilia’s at STN, who do they operate for?

FedEx so they re not going anywhere. all the cargo at Stansted is either widebody or linked to FedEx, UPS, TNT or Royal Mail so not moving to SEN

DC3 Dave
23rd Aug 2019, 21:12

​​​​​​Room for development on the opposite side of the R/W to the terminal. A significant hanger / warehouse could be constructed at the end of taxiway foxtrot. Road access via the new industrial park. A quick refresher on the airport's history will remind you that the airport has been about much more than passenger services over the years.

Expressflight
24th Aug 2019, 06:56
I don't think you need to worry on that score. The hangar that is being converted for the freight handling operation is on the North side of the airfield at the end of taxiway Delta. I assume that any day-stopping aircraft will park on that side of the airfield. Cargo flights are not exempt from the night limits and the flight schedule that I've been told for this operation would use around 90 of the 120 monthly night slots. I should think that if the revenue from this operation exceeds that generated by an equivalent number of bizjet movements then Stobart are happy with that.

Red Four
24th Aug 2019, 07:58
Any of our plane loving SEN readers qualified as a priest? Church Times (https://jobs.churchtimes.co.uk/jobs/Priest-in-Charge--in-South-East-jn7797)

DC3 Dave
24th Aug 2019, 08:06
Well, there are those at the airport who could do with pastoral care. Actually, it would be nice if anyone cared.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17856753.passengers-forced-sleep-southend-airports-lawn-flight-cancellation/

Tagron
24th Aug 2019, 10:46
I don't think you need to worry on that score. The hangar that is being converted for the freight handling operation is on the North side of the airfield at the end of taxiway Delta. I assume that any day-stopping aircraft will park on that side of the airfield. Cargo flights are not exempt from the night limits and the flight schedule that I've been told for this operation would use around 90 of the 120 monthly night slots. I should think that if the revenue from this operation exceeds that generated by an equivalent number of bizjet movements then Stobart are happy with that.

Is this the Inflite hangar or Hangar 2 ? The former has been empty I believe for three years or so since Inflite ceased MRO work at SEN though they have continued to use the adjacent workshops for their component overhaul business. Hangar 2 I think houses only a small number of aircraft which could be relocated if necessary.

Expressflight
24th Aug 2019, 11:04
Is this the Inflite hangar or Hangar 2 ? The former has been empty I believe for three years or so since Inflite ceased MRO work at SEN though they have continued to use the adjacent workshops for their component overhaul business. Hangar 2 I think houses only a small number of aircraft which could be relocated if necessary.
I'm pretty sure it's the old Inflite hangar, although I haven't been to have a look at it myself.

Pain in the R's
25th Aug 2019, 22:26
Well, there are those at the airport who could do with pastoral care. Actually, it would be nice if anyone cared.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17856753.passengers-forced-sleep-southend-airports-lawn-flight-cancellation/

Passengers were allowed to sleep on the grass when I thought the grass had keep off signs. This was an act of great compassion by a caring airport although passengers would have preferred not to have been kicked out of the terminal with nowhere to go in the middle of the night.

Well done Southend. The passengers were being unreasonable.

SARF
25th Aug 2019, 23:17
I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the echo.

Tagron
26th Aug 2019, 09:02
I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the echo.

Quite so, SARF. And I don't believe LTNman has any awareness of the fool he is making of himself by his continual obsessive troll posts.

NLC1072
28th Aug 2019, 17:01
Ryanair are reducing the amount of rotations from SEN to DUB, Is this just for the winter?

Tagron
28th Aug 2019, 21:37
The morning rotation is suspended for the winter but resumes on March 29, according to the online timetable.

AirportPlanner1
28th Aug 2019, 22:06
The morning rotation is suspended for the winter but resumes on March 29, according to the online timetable.

Has it changed? Originally it was only the midweek early flights that weren’t operating. Mon/Fri/Sat/Sun were still 2x.

Barling Magna
29th Aug 2019, 10:01
Glyn Jones speaking on Radio Essex said that over 60% of pax using SEN this summer are from London compared with 30% a couple of years ago. He seemed well aware of the importance of keeping the queues down and claimed that 99% of pax pass through security in under ten minutes. He predicts 3 to 3.5 million pax next year and confirms that planning permission has been granted for the expansion of the terminal. Are further airlines on the cards, I wonder.....?

aurigny72
29th Aug 2019, 10:13
Glyn Jones speaking on Radio Essex said that over 60% of pax using SEN this summer are from London compared with 30% a couple of years ago. He seemed well aware of the importance of keeping the queues down and claimed that 99% of pax pass through security in under ten minutes. He predicts 3 to 3.5 million pax next year and confirms that planning permission has been granted for the expansion of the terminal. Are further airlines on the cards, I wonder.....?
They better get started on that terminal extension and a few more aircraft stands soon then if Glyn Jones is right with his prediction of 3 to 3.5 million pax next year.

SARF
29th Aug 2019, 17:34
Does prove the catchment area is bigger than thought despite the seaside location, Londonwise anything north of the river and east of the city is fair game. And the desire to avoid stanners at peak time

rowly6339
1st Sep 2019, 08:45
Just to clarify a few things,

shares being suspended are are those of Eddie Stobart, Stobart Group own around 12% of those shares available so a minor shareholder. Stobart Group also own the rights to the name/brand of Eddie Stobart which eddies pay group to use so those are the only connections.

Amazon

i am led to believe that these flights would be used to service the quite large Amazon facility at Tilbury and maybe if needs be some other locations around/inside the M25 should they need to.

All this info/rumour/news is out there in the public domain in some shape or form so no need to snipe at each other but also shows that a little bit of time spent searching the internet could save face for some people.

The question I have is if the Amazon deal works in Amazon's favour could they expand this operation without impeding the plans for pax flight expansion in the future and if so could SEN grow its footprint to accommodate this.

mmeteesside
1st Sep 2019, 13:41
I can't see why any Amazon operation would need to utilise night slots - if you look at the current EU operations they all operate during daylight hours. Unless they were to operate in two waves with an overnight operation and a daytime operation eventually? The current UK hub is at East Midlands but with their chosen operator having many more aircraft on order I wonder if growth into other UK hubs is on their agenda, such as Southend, Teesside and maybe Edinburgh?

DC3 Dave
2nd Sep 2019, 17:36
49 year old woman charged with abh after an attack on staff during the EZY inbound flight from AGP yesterday evening.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17874630.woman-arrested-flight-southend-airport/

DC3 Dave
3rd Sep 2019, 08:33
Going to need a bigger staff car park......

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17876152.200-new-jobs-offer-southend-airport/

mik3bravo
5th Sep 2019, 06:27
Who will be operating the SEN-LDY service?

Would have thought SEN-BHD also a viable service or perhaps that option may be under consideration?

Given Brexit and calls for control of borders, granted the CTA will be protected for both UK and RoI passport holders. How do security observe non UK or non RoI passport holders? Risk of Isis sympathisers exploiting CTA channel?

Alteagod
5th Sep 2019, 07:30
I believe its LM

AirportPlanner1
15th Sep 2019, 21:41
For Summer 2020 Loganair are adding a Saturday flight to GLA/SYY plus a third flight on Friday and Sunday and a second on Saturday to LDY. That makes LDY 16 weekly, +3 compared to this year’s STN schedule.

mikkie4
15th Sep 2019, 21:53
From another site, As of 12 sept Runway 05/23 has been raised to PCN65 ,is this suitable for A321s?

brian_dromey
16th Sep 2019, 06:41
Given Brexit and calls for control of borders, granted the CTA will be protected for both UK and RoI passport holders. How do security observe non UK or non RoI passport holders? Risk of Isis sympathisers exploiting CTA channel?

Why ISIS specifically? Anyone who is not a UK or Irish citizen who makes use of the channel is technically exploiting it. The implementation is a bit hit and miss. At the Irish end passports are always checked and almost always scanned now, but sometimes waved though at the smaller airports with only UK arrivals at the time. At the UK end I’ve never had my passport checked, in hundreds of entries.

I assumed the airlines informed the border force of travellers?

racedo
16th Sep 2019, 14:47

What you mean loads of ISIS sympathisers in ROI ?

Think it is ROI worried about unwillingness of UK security forces to tackle Islamic extremists.

PPRuNeUser0176
16th Sep 2019, 19:06
Why ISIS specifically? Anyone who is not a UK or Irish citizen who makes use of the channel is technically exploiting it. The implementation is a bit hit and miss. At the Irish end passports are always checked and almost always scanned now, but sometimes waved though at the smaller airports with only UK arrivals at the time. At the UK end I’ve never had my passport checked, in hundreds of entries.

I assumed the airlines informed the border force of travellers?

Passenger lists are shared.

Targeted checks are more common on UK side now (as is denied permission to board an aircraft out of DUB for certain individuals) and co-operation is probably better than ever.

Expressflight
19th Sep 2019, 07:04
The easyJet schedules released this morning for SEN are identical in terms of destinations and frequencies to those released at this time last year.

DC3 Dave
19th Sep 2019, 20:30
I think the easyJet news is really positive and a vote of confidence in the airport. Rather than shrink operations in the face of so much uncertainty at the moment and some cut-throat competition from FR, our orange friends have decided to hold their ground.

I'm struggling to remember the last route easyJet dropped. It's definitely been a while and I do recall several contributors claiming that SEN had one the worst records for routes axed by the LCC 2 or 3 years ago.

AirportPlanner1
19th Sep 2019, 21:51
A couple of routes could be considered to have been dropped harshly...Berlin, Krakow, Venice...of course some of the losses were because the 4th aircraft was dropped. Even the weaker ones...EDI in particular...I think would do better nowadays.

asdf1234
27th Sep 2019, 11:52
Passenger numbers at London Southend Airport have increased by 42% in the six months to 31 August 2019, compared to the same period last year. This substantial growth was driven by the start of Ryanair flights in April, Loganair flights in May and the continued successful growth of easyJet. Access was further improved by the introduction of early and late rail services between London Liverpool Street and Southend Airport.

From October 2019, WizzAir will start flying from London Southend Airport, to three new destinations. These new routes will help support the continued growth in passenger numbers at London Southend Airport in line with the Group's target of reaching 5 million passengers per annum by February 2023. Given the ongoing uncertainty in the sector, in part caused by Brexit, the Group is taking a cautious approach to passenger forecasts in the short term, with the Board working on the basis of circa 2.3 million passengers for the year ending 29 February 2020. This would represent an increase of 53% versus the previous year.

Barling Magna
27th Sep 2019, 11:55
Crikey. Stobart adopting a cautious approach over SEN. That makes a change from the overly optimistic projections we have seen for the past few years. Still aiming for 5 million pax by 2023 though, for which they'll need new stands, new terminal facilities and new car parking........

SWBKCB
27th Sep 2019, 12:02
Depends what they mean by "short term", but pax to more that double from Feb 2020 (2.3m) to Feb 2023 (5m) isn't my idea of cautious.

SARF
27th Sep 2019, 12:57
I assume the new parking will be going on he old industrial estate by Mac Donald’s. Multi story ?

Expressflight
27th Sep 2019, 13:38
I assume the new parking will be going on he old industrial estate by Mac Donald’s. Multi story ?
There is no 'old industrial estate' in that location, only the existing retail park. There has been talk of that relocating to the new Southend Airport Business Park under development on the North-West boundary of the airport, but nothing definite as far as I know and certain not to happen in the short term. The old ATEL car park located South-East of Warners Bridge has planning consent for valet parking (only) for 260 vehicles.

Bee Rexit
27th Sep 2019, 14:26
There is no 'old industrial estate' in that location, only the existing retail park. There has been talk of that relocating to the new Southend Airport Business Park under development on the North-West boundary of the airport, but nothing definite as far as I know and certain not to happen in the short term. The old ATEL car park located South-East of Warners Bridge has planning consent for valet parking (only) for 260 vehicles.

The rumour about the retail estate has been around so long and must be treated as the complete rubbish it is. The new business park is for businesses but not retail. Also how much would Stobart have to stump up to buy the area and flatten the shop units? They could probably utilise areas off aviation way for parking but at the moment it doesn't seem to be an issue as they haven't attempted to use the old Access car park despite have planning (renewed recently) for nearly 4 years and intend to plonk a new hotel on the car park nearest Eastwoodbury Crescent.

Expressflight
27th Sep 2019, 15:30
Bee Rexit

You may well to right regarding the new business park for the reasons you mention, but on-airport parking certainly could become insufficient by as early as next summer, if all Stobart's plans come to fruition, so something will have to be done. I can see no reason why they will not now make use of the new planning consent for the old ATEL car park as it is such an obvious source of additional revenue.

DC3 Dave
27th Sep 2019, 20:44
There is a significant area of land between the railway and Southend Road. Long and narrow, not used for any purpose I am aware of. Of course a bridge would have to be built over the railway, possibly from the roundabout between long stay 1 and 2. This would involve considerable cost but would have to be an option if the land was available.

Tagron
27th Sep 2019, 22:52
Dave, I think that under the Joint Area Action plan this sliver of land was designated as a "green lung" between the airport and the residential areas, so unlikely to be allowed for development.

Bee Rexit
28th Sep 2019, 08:02
Dave, I think that under the Joint Area Action plan this sliver of land was designated as a "green lung" between the airport and the residential areas, so unlikely to be allowed for development.
This is correct. They even got into a bit of bother when they didn't remove the driveway, used when building the railway station, quickly enough after completion.

Red Four
28th Sep 2019, 08:06
Tagron is right.
Some of the very residents that complained about using this area for a drop-off/bus interchange, are now complaining at the £3 charge to drop off/pick-up up at what was until recently, their most convenient railway station to commute to work etc. One could hope that some of the original plan is revisited to allow a free car drop off zone again to the east of the railway, or at least pedestrian/bus/coach access. The ticketing & access arrangements at the rail station would need work doing to accommodate this.

Does anyone remember the "SERT" South Essex Rapid Transport system that was once proposed, using this green space with a dedicated bus lane in and out of Southend town from the airport? It would certainly be good to have the No 7 and 8 buses offer direct connectivity to the airport.

DC3 Dave
1st Oct 2019, 08:33
Looks like the airport and Ensign Bus have kissed and made up. Good to see.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17938023.new-bus-service-makes-southend-airport-easier-ever-access/

Expressflight
1st Oct 2019, 08:47
While good to see the previously launched service revived, it still is just an early morning arrival SEN at 04:30 and a late evening departure SEN at 23:40 - nothing in between. Perhaps SEN's pax numbers are still insufficient to support daytime coach services from/to London.

jdcg
1st Oct 2019, 10:02
Although the marketing is a bit misleading. You'll be lucky to get any tube or train connections to / from anywhere else at those arrival and departure times at Victoria. The night tube functions on Friday and Saturday night but otherwise it's night buses or taxi

davidjohnson6
1st Oct 2019, 11:47
The resorcefulness of people to find a way to travel beyween home and central London is greater than one might think.

See the number of people getting on/off at Blackfriars/Farringdon at 3 am travelling to/from Luton or Gatwick or those travelling by National Express coach between Victoria and Luton/Stansted

albertocsx
1st Oct 2019, 15:19
From April 2020, Kosice and Cluj routes will be operated from STN instead of Southend.

​​​​​

tws123
1st Oct 2019, 19:27
So Ryanair routes Cluj and Kosice are both transferring to Stansted next year.

pabely
1st Oct 2019, 20:17
So Ryanair routes Cluj and Kosice are both transferring to Stansted next year.
That is not good news unless they are to be replaced by other routes. Wizzair publicly going for Gatwick slots must be worrying as well....?

runwayman
2nd Oct 2019, 12:30
Three North apron stands being re-marked for allocated Amazon freight aircraft operation, 1st aircraft to arrive tomorrow apparently

tws123
2nd Oct 2019, 21:43
Any idea what route(s) the freight flights are doing?

Expressflight
3rd Oct 2019, 06:21
Madrid and Milan.

Seljuk22
3rd Oct 2019, 15:58
Wizz is starting Iasi from August 2020, 4 weekly

SEN Observer
3rd Oct 2019, 17:06
Here's the Echo link

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17945162.southend-airport-route-romania-launched/

tws123
9th Oct 2019, 17:38
Cargo operations to begin this month on an initial two year contract - Press Release (https://www.lse.co.uk/rns/STOB/agreement-at-london-southend-airport-e51ab86gxhbx41p.html)

AirportPlanner1
9th Oct 2019, 20:18
Here's the Echo link

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17945162.southend-airport-route-romania-launched/

Don’t the comments on the Echo article make you proud to be British?! Dear lord....

DC3 Dave
10th Oct 2019, 13:34
The cargo flights have made the Echo.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17959227.airport-signs-new-deal-transport-goods-worldwide/

runwayman
10th Oct 2019, 14:02
Due to start tonight apparently

tws123
10th Oct 2019, 21:21
Indeed the first flight has just touched down at Milan-Malpensa.

DC3 Dave
12th Oct 2019, 08:32
Does anyone here have concerns over Ryanair's plans for next summer?

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17962708.concern-lack-flights-available-next-summer/

stewyb
12th Oct 2019, 08:52

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17962708.concern-lack-flights-available-next-summer/

so basically a non story and next years schedule to be announced shortly!

Planespeaking
12th Oct 2019, 09:08

There are a number of airports across the UK and Europe that are yet to have Summer 2020 programmes announced by FR.

Must be a poor news day for the Echo. Move along please, nothing to see here!!

tws123
15th Oct 2019, 19:41
Not sure if reported before but FlyOne are continuing their service to Chișinău, now bookable 1x weekly up to 24 March 2020 at present. All flights offer onwards connections to Moscow-Vnukovo.

5F617 KIV departs 16:00 - SEN arrives 17:00
5F618 SEN departs 17:50 - KIV arrives 23:00

asdf1234
17th Oct 2019, 09:00
There are a number of airports across the UK and Europe that are yet to have Summer 2020 programmes announced by FR.

Must be a poor news day for the Echo. Move along please, nothing to see here!!
It seems other UK airports do in fact have their 2020 programmes settled and on sale according to this press release:
https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-uk-summer-20-schedule-more-than-500-routes-on-sale-now/

tophat27dt
17th Oct 2019, 10:51
Flights for London-Southend 2020 are not published on their website yet.

PDXCWL45
17th Oct 2019, 11:44
Flights for London-Southend 2020 are not published on their website yet.
Only Dublin and Mallorca are onsale.

Expressflight
17th Oct 2019, 13:55
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a considerable retrenchment by RYR at SEN for Summer 2020. I can think of no rational reason why the Summer schedules would not be on sale by now, especially given the EZY competition on a number of their routes.

asdf1234
17th Oct 2019, 16:55
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a considerable retrenchment by RYR at SEN for Summer 2020. I can think of no rational reason why the Summer schedules would not be on sale by now, especially given the EZY competition on a number of their routes.

How would this affect pax numbers at SEN if RYR don't renew their routes for 2020?

AirportPlanner1
18th Oct 2019, 08:05
I see DUB is only daily for 2020 in the middle of the day which looks pretty ominous. We already know Cluj and Kosice have shifted to STN.

Barling Magna
21st Oct 2019, 13:53
Quite predictably ASL's nocturnal cargo flights are causing disquiet among local residents. Their elderly 737s are far noisier than Ryanair's 800s and the Airbuses of EZY and others.

stewyb
21st Oct 2019, 15:42
Quite predictably ASL's nocturnal cargo flights are causing disquiet among local residents. Their elderly 737s are far noisier than Ryanair's 800s and the Airbuses of EZY and others.

Don't blame them quite honestly, the airport has gone from little to no flights to day and night in a short space of time and at some stage there has to be questions asked of suitability!

Barling Magna
21st Oct 2019, 18:57
Certainly it was a bold (or rash?) move to introduce noisy night flights. The Metroliners which used to operate nocturnal cargo flights were much quieter by comparison.

mmeteesside
21st Oct 2019, 20:20
Rough timings so everyone knows what we are talking about. They’re operated by ASL with 2x B737-400F - should be 7 days a week to the same times. It’s interesting that they’re operating an evening rotation as the EMA base mainly runs early morning to late afternoon.
ABR1623/4 SEN-MXP-SEN
2020/2320-0145/0245
ABR1625/6 SEN-MXP-SEN
0500/0800-1015/1115
ABR1737/8 SEN-MAD-SEN
2220/0120-0320/0420
ABR1739/40 SEN-MAD-SEN
0745/1045-1300/1400

AirportPlanner1
21st Oct 2019, 21:23
Until now the neighbours have had some winter respite, with later starts for the jets some days, earlier finishes and few movements midweek. The freight operation will put paid to that.

AirportPlanner1
21st Oct 2019, 21:55
I see DUB is only daily for 2020 in the middle of the day which looks pretty ominous. We already know Cluj and Kosice have shifted to STN.

Rumoured elsewhere a bunch of Lauda routes from PMI to U.K. are being announced tomorrow. With DUB and PMI the only routes on sale, what is the betting SEN is one of those routes with DUB being either dropped or operated from DUB base?

mikkie4
22nd Oct 2019, 01:19
can still book flights to/from STN on the Dundee route after the 31st, any one heard if SEN are going to get this flight?

Bee Rexit
22nd Oct 2019, 08:28
As a near local (Eastwood, Astronauts Estate) I can confirm the new night flights did wake me up but only the first flight on the first morning of operation at about 04.50 and boy it was loud and only the 2nd time in the past 6 years that an early departure has woken me, not only loud on take off but off into the distance. Lots of chatter on local Facebook page that day but not so much since, that may be because windows are getting closed due to colder weather or the pilots have been reminded about noise abatement?

MARKEYD
26th Oct 2019, 08:40
Ryanair have started to load the rest of the summer schedule and it looks like still 3 based aircraft for 2020

AirportPlanner1
26th Oct 2019, 10:56
Updated CAA stats are out too. Of the three LM routes CAX had the strongest LF at 63.2% (21 pax per flight). ABZ and GLA both averaged around 30 per flight (61-62%). Will be interesting to see how loads hold up with the reduction to 2x daily.

The routes to GCI and NQY look quite strong although you’d expect that for August. NQY appears to have performed stronger than BE’s own operation out of STN last year even with the shift from LGW to LHR and increase in frequency.

DC3 Dave
30th Oct 2019, 10:50
So everything seems back on track with Ryanair finally confirming their summer 2020 schedule. Joining the party today, Wizz, due at 2045 with the first flight from Sibiu. Didn't get the Dundee service but you can't win them all.

Just noticed FR seem to be in the process of adding Bergerac and Marseille at the moment.

fatmed
30th Oct 2019, 12:11
So everything seems back on track with Ryanair finally confirming their summer 2020 schedule. Joining the party today, Wizz, due at 2045 with the first flight from Sibiu. Didn't get the Dundee service but you can't win them all.

Just noticed FR seem to be in the process of adding Bergerac and Marseille at the moment.

plus Girona has appeared today

DC3 Dave
30th Oct 2019, 21:28
plus Girona has appeared today

Indeed it has. Reus has been retained, so yet more choice.

One puzzle. Is it me, or have the great and the good who have added so much to this thread over the last few years taken a solemn vow of silence? I would really love a few posts from those who previously waxed lyrically and eloquently every time an additional parking space was provided, or a new beer was on offer airside.

Surely, we have not become so blase over the positive events at SEN that a new route is not worthy of comment?

Barling Magna
30th Oct 2019, 22:16
An impressive nocturnal water arch provided for the arriving Wizz Air 320. Video on the LSA ATC FB page (that's a lot of abbreviations....).

Barling Magna
31st Oct 2019, 17:41
The Evening Echo (God bless 'em) carries the Ryanair story now listing six new routes:

Bergerac;
Bucharest;
Girona;
Marseille;
Venice Treviso; and
Vilnius, in Lithuania.

The Echo quotes Ryanair’s Alejandra Ruiz: “Since the start of our operations in London Southend in April, we have carried more than 650,000 customers, and based on this success to date we are delighted to extend our services at Southend with six new routes for summer 2020."Our London Southend summer 2020 schedule features 16 routes in total, which will deliver 850,000 customers per year."

DC3 Dave
3rd Nov 2019, 07:57
From the Echo. A Bog Standard interview with Glyn Jones.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18010936.southend-airport-boss-toilet-cleaning-key-success/

Expressflight
3rd Nov 2019, 14:09
One puzzle. Is it me, or have the great and the good who have added so much to this thread over the last few years taken a solemn vow of silence? I would really love a few posts from those who previously waxed lyrically and eloquently every time an additional parking space was provided, or a new beer was on offer airside. Surely, we have not become so blase over the positive events at SEN that a new route is not worthy of comment?
I for one would be posting if there was anything substantial to report. All that RYR have done is confirm their faith in SEN for 2020 by adding a few new routes while at the same time dropping others, so just reassuring rather than noteworthy. In fact the number of RYR weekly rotations for June 2020 currently stands at 62; virtually the same as Summer 2019. It will be interesting to see if EZY add some new destinations for S2020 and particularly what Flybe/Virgin Connect have planned for SEN. That may prove worthy of comment but we'll have to wait and see.

Plane mad 134
12th Nov 2019, 15:20
Flybe major expansion at Southend as they add:
· SEN-JER 2x weekly eff 2nd May 2020
· EDI-SEN 3x daily eff 15th June 2020
· BHD-SEN 3x daily eff 1st June 2020
· GLA-SEN 3x daily eff 27th April 2020
· SEN-IOM 1x daily eff 30th March 2020
· SEN-NCL 2x daily eff 29th March 2020

Great news for Southend!

BA318
12th Nov 2019, 15:27
It seems Flybe is announcing new routes:

Jersey - 2 weekly
Edinburgh - 3 daily
Glasgow - 3 daily
Isle of Man - daily
Newcastle - 2 daily

Reported on SeanM1997 twitter account: https://twitter.com/SeanM1997

Plane mad 134
12th Nov 2019, 15:29
It seems Flybe is announcing new routes:

Jersey - 2 weekly
Edinburgh - 3 daily
Glasgow - 3 daily
Isle of Man - daily
Newcastle - 2 daily

Reported on SeanM1997 twitter account: https://twitter.com/SeanM1997

Just beat you to it :)

BA318
12th Nov 2019, 15:36
Just beat you to it :)

well done! Interesting that they will go against Flybe’s LCY- Belfast route which will be getting leased E190s.

Plane mad 134
12th Nov 2019, 15:38
well done! Interesting that they will go against Flybe’s LCY- Belfast route which will be getting leased E190s.
Yeah and Loganairs GLA-SEN flight too, SEN will be busy next summer!

goldeneye
12th Nov 2019, 16:28
I would suspect LM will cull the GLA pretty quickly.

No-More-Bullschit
12th Nov 2019, 17:06
You would have thought that NCL would have been MME given the co-ownership!

AirportPlanner1
12th Nov 2019, 17:28
The GLA schedule posted looks incredibly similar to the Loganair schedule before they cut to 2x daily. As there is now an agreement between the two I strongly suspect this will be a code-share or operated by Logan. Possibly will be the same for EDi

tws123
13th Nov 2019, 18:41
Added incentive to get on with the terminal extensions now.

EI-BUD
13th Nov 2019, 19:08
Very reckless Flybe expansion.
These routes will be marginal at best.
They'll be highly leisure orientated IMHO ...

Barling Magna
13th Nov 2019, 19:41
Very reckless Flybe expansion.
These routes will be marginal at best.
They'll be highly leisure orientated IMHO ...

Maybe the fares will be a bit steep for leisure for leisure pax....?

FlyingScotland
13th Nov 2019, 21:13
RBS will prop up the SEN-EDI route and as nobody within RBS can stick to a plan or a timescale Flybe will rake it in with the £60 change fees. Expect each RBS ticket to be changed 4 or 5 times before it actually gets used. :yuk:

darren1
14th Nov 2019, 06:31
RBS should be booking the middle fare tickets to avoid the £45 change fees.

SWBKCB
14th Nov 2019, 09:06
Warwick Brady, chief executive, said: "In London Southend Airport and Stobart Energy, the group has two businesses with immediate and considerable growth opportunities. London Southend Airport continues to attract new airlines and is on course to deliver our target of five million annual passengers by February 2023."

Stobart Group suspends dividend to invest (https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/18036037.stobart-group-suspends-dividend-invest/)

SealinkBF
14th Nov 2019, 09:09
I would suspect LM will cull the GLA pretty quickly.

Looks like it is already gone...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/980x2000/screenshot_20191114_100908_chrome_b2f578ba91872c53825268dc85 88e845afbfe7b4.jpg

DC3 Dave
14th Nov 2019, 09:40
Looks like GLA ends 3rd January. I would imagine LCY are watching very carefully for any sign of the Loganair Stobart relationship turning sour.

Steviec9
14th Nov 2019, 10:38
Looks like GLA ends 3rd January. I would imagine LCY are watching very carefully for any sign of the Loganair Stobart relationship turning sour.

the Glasgow Airport Tw*tter feed does highlight Flybe taking over the route...

Link

tophat27dt
14th Nov 2019, 11:18
Why do people assume the worst. Maybe it was agreed in a friendly way between Loganair and ConnectAir/Stobart.

SWBKCB
14th Nov 2019, 11:29
Why do people assume the worst. Maybe it was agreed in a friendly way between Loganair and ConnectAir/Stobart.

Isn't there a three month gap, though?

DC3 Dave
14th Nov 2019, 11:46

I wouldn't know. But, LCY did not hide their interest in Loganair's Dundee route. Now if they were able to reach agreement over that route, I would be surprised if neither party were interested in exploring the possibility of moving SEN's routes to Docklands at some stage.

Let's hope the GLA changes were with the agreement of both parties.

Expressflight
14th Nov 2019, 13:20
DC3 Dave

If there was agreement between Loganair and Stobart regarding GLA it seems odd that there will indeed be a nearly four month gap in service on the GLA route. That's obviously not ideal and should have been possible to avoid if goodwill exists between them.

The Flybe presence at SEN next year looks to comprise two based ATR72s with Q400s at three Flybe bases, BHD, GLA and EDI, operating all the flights from/to those points.

runwayman
14th Nov 2019, 15:24
Does anyone know if Easyjet will be flying into Schipol next summer or Lelystad as the AMS airport authority wanted to move all LCC to Lelystad to free up slots for long haul flights at AMS.

jdcg
14th Nov 2019, 15:58
I have no idea officially but I would think that there is next to no chance that they will move from AMS.

FlyingScotland
14th Nov 2019, 16:58
RBS should be booking the middle fare tickets to avoid the £45 change fees.

That would be too sensible. This is RBS we're talking about. Flybe already make an absolute mint from them on the EDI-LCY route and SEN will be no different.

Barling Magna
14th Nov 2019, 18:11
Especially as RBS have a big presence in Southend with their office block close to the foot of runway 23.

pabely
14th Nov 2019, 18:46
Does anyone know if Easyjet will be flying into Schipol next summer or Lelystad as the AMS airport authority wanted to move all LCC to Lelystad to free up slots for long haul flights at AMS.
Reported that Ryanair & Transavia have expressed interest but limited to only 11 movements a day currently although that will rise. Zero chance that anything to SEN.

Bee Rexit
14th Nov 2019, 19:51
Especially as RBS have a big presence in Southend with their office block close to the foot of runway 23.

Technically it is now Natwest Offices. It has been rebranded over the last couple of years.

SEN Observer
15th Nov 2019, 06:01
The gripers are griping!
www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18037860.noisy-night-time-flights-stopping-us-sleeping/

Expressflight
15th Nov 2019, 06:34
I'm not at all surprised that there are complaints and Stobart's claim that "each (B734F) flight has the same noise emittance as a normal Ryanair flight ..." will not be believed unfortunately. Some I have spoken with at SEN reckon the noise nuisance is perceived as being worse than the B738. I think Stobart will at least have to publish the Noise Certificate figures for the aircraft in use on these freight flights.

asdf1234
15th Nov 2019, 12:29
I'm not at all surprised that there are complaints and Stobart's claim that "each (B734F) flight has the same noise emittance as a normal Ryanair flight ..." will not be believed unfortunately. Some I have spoken with at SEN reckon the noise nuisance is perceived as being worse than the B738. I think Stobart will at least have to publish the Noise Certificate figures for the aircraft in use on these freight flights.

The engine option on the 400F and the 800 is relevant as is the take-off weight but actual noise difference should be minimal with the 400F being quieter at some take-off weights. However we are talking about "perceived" noise, not actual noise, and a 1am or 3am aircraft movement is always going to sound louder than the equivalent aircraft movement at 1pm or 3pm. Residents can apply for free triple glazing I believe if they can prove a noise nuisance.

rowly6339
15th Nov 2019, 16:40
Warwick Brady has said today that they are looking to build a new arrivals terminal and a 2nd hotel at Southend.

asdf1234
15th Nov 2019, 17:52
Warwick Brady has said today that they are looking to build a new arrivals terminal and a 2nd hotel at Southend.

The results are also out. Profit per passenger before taking into account the cost of attracting Whizz and Ryanair (and assuming the easyjet sweetener has all been paid), the cost of finance interest and the cost of building the airport, is below £4. The airport needs this to be above £8 to make a profit. i.e. in excess of a 100% improvement.

With dwindling resources and having mortgaged the entirety of the Eddie Stobart shares they hold, the board has decided not to pay shareholders a dividend going forward until such time as the airport becomes profitable. What little cash they have left is to be invested in the 2nd hotel and new arrivals terminal. This is the final gamble!

As an aside, the airport is focussing entirely on the departure experience which in itself is not surprising, as it is departing pax that spend money which goes to the airport. However the inbound pax experience is important and to date I've found the queuing at immigration and the luggage belt unacceptably long for a small airport. Hopefully the upcoming investment programme will allow a budget for the installation of automatic passport readers.

Tagron
16th Nov 2019, 03:13
Interim-Results-Presentation-2019-FINAL-2.pdf (https://www.stobartgroup.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Interim-Results-Presentation-2019-FINAL-2.pdf)

Page 23 is the key to what is being talked about

DC3 Dave
16th Nov 2019, 08:59
Looks like the Jet Centre will become the arrivals area. I suppose relocation to the north side is possible - Inglenook fireplace and all.

​​​​​​

southender
16th Nov 2019, 09:37
Looks like the end of the road for Seawing and the flying club then!

DC3 Dave
16th Nov 2019, 11:20
I think someone's had one too many.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18041256.southend-airport-reveals-huge-expansion-plans-serve-20m-passengers-year/

stewyb
16th Nov 2019, 11:33
Deluded if they think 20m will serve this size of airport, the footprint simply isn’t big enough and the owners really need a reality check and be careful they don’t bite off more than they can chew!

ericlday
16th Nov 2019, 11:41
Had to check that it wasn't 1st April......

Barling Magna
16th Nov 2019, 15:45
Are they going to buy the retail park and the golf course........? Five million pax per year should be the maximum, I'd have thought......

davidjohnson6
16th Nov 2019, 16:57
I think Stobart are struggling to make much profit out of SEN and are their finances are somewhat stretched. Not dissimiliar to Luton airport about 15 years ago

If the airport were to be sold by Stobart to a bigger company with deeper pockets and greater ability at extracting profit from SEN, then I imagine money could be found to buy the retail park or golf course. I very much doubt the retail park owner would object to a big pile of cash or the individual tenants being bought out of their leases when the average High Street is struggling so much

Bee Rexit
17th Nov 2019, 08:49
Lots of local support for the airport up to where it is now but I think they will struggle to get the same support for further expansion especially since the arrival of Ryanair and the "global logistics partner" causing more disturbance in this last year than any of the previous, post runway extension, years. 2-3 million passengers is probably about right. Anything over 10m isn't do able anyway under the current restrictions.

asdf1234
17th Nov 2019, 10:53
Looks like the Jet Centre will become the arrivals area. I suppose relocation to the north side is possible - Inglenook fireplace and all.

​​​​​​
I note the Jet Centre CEO has changed. Does anyone know what has happened to the previous incumbent Stephen Grimes?

Tagron
17th Nov 2019, 11:25
Lots of local support for the airport up to where it is now but I think they will struggle to get the same support for further expansion especially since the arrival of Ryanair and the "global logistics partner" causing more disturbance in this last year than any of the previous, post runway extension, years. 2-3 million passengers is probably about right. Anything over 10m isn't do able anyway under the current restrictions.

Even 10m is realistically unachievable under the present movement limit. 10m could only be reached if all movements were by fully laden 189-seat aircraft e.g. B737-800 or a mix of bigger and smaller aircraft to get the same result. 53,300 x 189 = 10,073,700. Clearly that is not going to happen. What would be a more realistic upper limit - 6-7m perhaps ?

The only way to achieve a greater figure of course would be to get the movement cap raised. That does not seem to me to be likely, and recent events cannot have helped.

davidjohnson6
17th Nov 2019, 13:40
If in 5 or 10 years time, Southend is handling 6m pax per year, there will be some very intense lobbying to raise the limits at Southend

Expressflight
17th Nov 2019, 14:45
........ and some vey intense resistance to such a move. I feel that aviation itself may be viewed in a somewhat different light in 10, or even maybe 5, years time.

Barling Magna
17th Nov 2019, 20:37
I think it already is.

AirportPlanner1
17th Nov 2019, 20:59
Well it looks like the residents will get some respite tonight anyway as the fog has set in

SARF
18th Nov 2019, 14:13
I think it’s the late take off thats vexing most of Leigh on seas flight path residents. Will a still foggy night make it extra noisy ?

Barling Magna
23rd Nov 2019, 13:46
On another site a poster states that Southend ATC are now allowing Continuous Descent Approaches and a local living beneath the approach declares that the ASL 737-400 landing at 0200 this morning was quieter than an EZY Airbus.

asdf1234
23rd Nov 2019, 21:33
On another site a poster states that Southend ATC are now allowing Continuous Descent Approaches and a local living beneath the approach declares that the ASL 737-400 landing at 0200 this morning was quieter than an EZY Airbus.

If you look at the approach tracks on Flight Radar or similar I would be very surprised if the overnight cargo flights are making use of a continuous descent approach. Maybe someone with more technical ability than me could extrapolate the data and comment?

The 734 should exhibit the same noise characteristics as a 738, which are both louder than an A319 or 320.

Of course the approach is not the reason why locals are concerned about increased noise levels overnight. It is the use of reverse thrust on landing and then the subsequent take-off after a very quick turnaround, all pre-dawn.

asdf1234
23rd Nov 2019, 21:48
If you look at the approach tracks on Flight Radar or similar I would be very surprised if the overnight cargo flights are making use of a continuous descent approach. Maybe someone with more technical ability than me could extrapolate the data and comment?

The 734 should exhibit the same noise characteristics as a 738, which are both louder than an A319 or 320.

Of course the approach is not the reason why locals are concerned about increased noise levels overnight. It is the use of reverse thrust on landing and then the subsequent take-off after a very quick turnaround, all pre-dawn.
Maybe a freight driver could comment on why the ASL flights are noisy in comparison to others? The -400 is a relatively old design but on paper they should not be noisier than a -800. Do freight operators insist on TOGA throttle settings whereas LoCo operators are more fuel/cost conscious with their takeoff performance?

Tagron
23rd Nov 2019, 22:01

Its not really about Southend ATC allowing Continuous Descent Approaches. The situation is (or was) that radar was not available during the night period when the 734s arrive, so they were flying the procedural ILS which commences at the SND NDB. When RWY 05 was in use an aircraft arriving from the south had to cross densely built up areas to reach the NDB, cross overhead to carry out a reversal to the north (more built up areas) leaving the NDB again on the outbound leg at 2500ft to be 2000ft at 8.1 DME, base turn still at 2000ft (so a long period of almost level flight partly over built up areas ) before joining the glideslope at 8.1 DME. Not only was there an excessive amount of overflight of built up areas but also from the operator's point of view significant extra flight time and fuel consumption.

RW23 was better but even though the procedure went straight outbound from the NDB it still involved unnecessary overflight of built up areas. It seemed to me seriously nuts that aircraft had to be operated like this in the 21st century.

Fortunately good changes appear to have occurred.. Looking at the FR24 traces traces for the past week I note that none of the night arrivals are now routing via the SND NDB and the published procedure.. RW24 arrivals are proceeding downwind off the East Coast to join the ILS. RW05 arrivals are proceeding direct from DET (or thereabouts) to join the ILS near the 8 DME, effectively straight in. I don't know whether radar vectoring is now being provided (staff costs being paid ?) or whether they are self positioning. From the FR24 traces I suspect the latter. And why not - they can remain within controlled airspace, observing safety altitude requirements, and the local skies will be empty at that time of the morning . They have a better chance of using CDAs but the main environmental gain for the residents of Southend is from the change of routing.

Red Four
24th Nov 2019, 07:36
RWY05 has a point 'GOBOP' published to facilitate a straight in approach.
RWY23 has a point 'GEGMU' published to facilitate a straight in approach. Whether the aircraft can find these points arriving from the south and then turn may be another matter. I would think Rwy 05 would be OK.
If radar is available, it can short cut these points further

Downwind.Maddl-Land
25th Nov 2019, 09:44
RWY05 has a point 'GOBOP' published to facilitate a straight in approach.
RWY23 has a point 'GEGMU' published to facilitate a straight in approach. Whether the aircraft can find these points arriving from the south and then turn may be another matter. I would think Rwy 05 would be OK.
If radar is available, it can short cut these points further

The STARS for Southend facilitate non-radar monitored 'straight-in' approaches to rwy 23 via GEGMU from all directions, so that should not be an issue at all. For rwy 05 from the 'north' one could route via the SPEAR STARS to pick up the 05 ILS/LOC/NDB IAPs from the overhead, or indeed via the GEGMU STARS from the south. Subject to traffic - especially at the hrs under discussion - and the flexibility of the individual ATCO, BRAIN, OKVAP or GODLU direct to GOBOP might be possible for a 05 shortcut, assuming Danger Area activity and GVS restrictions are respected (both should not be a problem, I would have thought).

southender
25th Nov 2019, 11:27
Apologies for not being technical, but what or where are GOBOP and GEGMU

Downwind.Maddl-Land
25th Nov 2019, 14:50
Apologies for not being technical, but what or where are GOBOP and GEGMU

These are all 5-letter navigation waypoints for approaches onto Southend.

GEGMU is shown here: https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2019-11-07-AIRAC/graphics/100915.pdf and here https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2019-11-07-AIRAC/graphics/111233.pdf together with OKVAP and GODLU.

GOBOP is shown here: https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2019-11-07-AIRAC/graphics/100918.pdf

(In case of difficulty with the links try "open link in new window" in each case)

southender
25th Nov 2019, 22:17
Downwind.maddl-land,

Thanks for that, all makes sense now

Southender

Tagron
26th Nov 2019, 10:21
The STARS for Southend facilitate non-radar monitored 'straight-in' approaches to rwy 23 via GEGMU from all directions, so that should not be an issue at all. For rwy 05 from the 'north' one could route via the SPEAR STARS to pick up the 05 ILS/LOC/NDB IAPs from the overhead, or indeed via the GEGMU STARS from the south. Subject to traffic - especially at the hrs under discussion - and the flexibility of the individual ATCO, BRAIN, OKVAP or GODLU direct to GOBOP might be possible for a 05 shortcut, assuming Danger Area activity and GVS restrictions are respected (both should not be a problem, I would have thought).

I imagine the flight plans would be filed via the STARs, but the FR24 tracks suggest they get clearance direct to the approach fix by the time they reach the London FIR, possibly much sooner. The Danger.Areas not an issue in the middle of the night.

But the AIP still stipulates that when radar is not available arrivals should route to the SND NDB and carry out the procedure from there. That presumably is to take account of Danger Area activity in day time. Time for an AIP revision perhaps

asdf1234
26th Nov 2019, 19:55
I imagine the flight plans would be filed via the STARs, but the FR24 tracks suggest they get clearance direct to the approach fix by the time they reach the London FIR, possibly much sooner. The Danger.Areas not an issue in the middle of the night.

But the AIP still stipulates that when radar is not available arrivals should route to the SND NDB and carry out the procedure from there. That presumably is to take account of Danger Area activity in day time. Time for an AIP revision perhaps

As I said previously, I dont believe it is the approach path which has been causing the local residents sleepless nights. It is the use of reverse thrust on the landings and the subsequent take-off, all pre-dawn that affects a large amount of neighbours of the airport. Those on the flight path will of course be inconvenienced but their number is relatively small compared to those who can hear the reverse thrust and take-off noise. The local rag is now reporting that the local MP is getting involved.

LTNman
26th Nov 2019, 22:08
Southend is in the unfortunate position of having home owners whose homes butt up against the runway. Even those that don’t will hear aircraft noise from a considerable distance particularly at night when laying in bed. Come summer when windows are open complaints will only get worse. Did Stobart really think no one would notice overnight Amazon 737’s or was it a case of we don’t care?

When the council put in overnight restrictions on passenger aircraft they did it to protect the public from excessive overnight noise but they clearly did not consider that the same type of aircraft flying in freight would land and take off instead which makes the passenger ban pointless.

What has happened now through Stobart greed is that noise has become a big political issue which will make expansion plans harder to get past the council planning committee. Maybe saying no to Amazon would have made it easier for the council to say yes to Stobart.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18061579.pressure-put-bosses-new-airport-night-flights/

asdf1234
27th Nov 2019, 20:43
Southend is in the unfortunate position of having home owners whose homes butt up against the runway. Even those that don’t will hear aircraft noise from a considerable distance particularly at night when laying in bed. Come summer when windows are open complaints will only get worse. Did Stobart really think no one would notice overnight Amazon 737’s or was it a case of we don’t care?

When the council put in overnight restrictions on passenger aircraft they did it to protect the public from excessive overnight noise but they clearly did not consider that the same type of aircraft flying in freight would land and take off instead which makes the passenger ban pointless.

What has happened now through Stobart greed is that noise has become a big political issue which will make expansion plans harder to get past the council planning committee. Maybe saying no to Amazon would have made it easier for the council to say yes to Stobart.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18061579.pressure-put-bosses-new-airport-night-flights/

I do not think it is just the Amazon flights that are upsetting the locals. I have heard (forgive the pun) that the new Whizz flights depart late in the evening, and seem to be noisier than the FR flights, which in turn are noisier than the EZY flights.

All of this is most probably a perception issue. A flight landing in the dead of night will sound louder than a flight departing at noon. However the airport owners seem to be attracting late evening and overnight operators (undoubtedly due to operator cost considerations).

These flights help contribute to the overall movements target but I can't see them adding much to the profit margin. The downside is increased local antipathy towards the airport.

If only the airport could attract full fee paying European short haul business routes the flying hours would be a more 7am departures and 8pm arrivals.

SARF
27th Nov 2019, 23:04
The local mp’s will be paying lip service pre election.. post election it will be full speed ahead for jobs and loot
the airport is very popular in the borough. Alas with any big industrial project there is always some collateral

LTNman
28th Nov 2019, 06:02
You are correct that MP’s can say anything and it will have little influence. Any application will be decided by the council but they will be mindful of public opinion. Councillors at Uttlesford District Council ignored their residents objections over a Stansted planning application and then all got voted out of power by independents on a ticket to block expansion.

No doubt like many airports those that are not affected by extra noise, pollution and road traffic will support airport expansion but those that will suffer will kick off. It might all come down to who has the loudest voice and whether those against the airport get really organised in their opposition.

Does Southend Council get a fee per passenger? That could make a big difference in any planning vote.

Musket90
28th Nov 2019, 17:41
Maybe the landing distance of 1604m for both 05 and 23 is a bit limiting for a B737-400, so more reverse thrust required. Or maybe when landing on 23 they want to slow
down quickly to vacate at Delta if they park Northside therefore avoiding a backtrack. The take-off distances may also be limiting to performance so higher thrust settings
required.

tws123
29th Nov 2019, 11:47
I see that a planning application has now been submitted to Southend Borough Council for a new 6-storey, 132 bedroom hotel next door to the Holiday Inn.

Barling Magna
30th Nov 2019, 10:30
Eight diversions from fog-bound LCY this morning within a short space of time. Must have challenged the ground handling team.

Expressflight
30th Nov 2019, 11:22
LTNman

I don't quite follow the logic of "When the Council put in overnight restrictions on passenger aircraft .... they clearly didn't think that the same type of aircraft flying in freight would land and take off instead." It was only scheduled passenger flight departure times that were banned overnight; all other types of flight are allowed (excepting commercial helicopters) including private passenger flights, in any size of aircraft, and freight flights, provided all such aircraft are compliant with the night noise limitations imposed. I'm sure the Council did expect some freight night movements as these have operated at SEN for decades in much greater numbers than is now the case.

In answer to your other question; no, Southend Council do not receive any fees per passenger.

Musket90

The ASL aircraft have never used Delta at all. All freight is loaded or off loaded on the North Apron stands since the start of SEN operations. I don't know if ASL use TOGA or de-rated take-off power settings. I believe EZY use TOGA but RYR de-rate whenever conditions allow.

In short the airport's official position is that they comply fully with the Section 106 agreement restrictions. Whether they have been wise to attract an ASL night operation is another matter as it was obviously going to re-ignite the night noise nuisance issue.

LTNman
30th Nov 2019, 12:01
Expressflight Why did they restrict passenger flights at night? My thinking is that they assumed cargo flights would be using similar aircraft as before and not 737 freighters. From a homeowners point of view a 737 is a 737 whether it is passenger or cargo so why ban passenger night flights when the same type of aircraft can fly in and out cargo?

Expressflight
1st Dec 2019, 11:09
Perhaps EZY were happy to set up a SEN base with a 17 hour operational day, while the Council were also able to placate the noise lobby by reducing greatly the number of night movements allowed from 900 to 120 per month. That small number would not have given much scope for night scheduled pax operations in any event. In the '80s and '90s SEN supported a fairly intensive night freight operation that included types such as Carvair, Viscount, Herald, Electra, CV-580 etc., none of which were particularly quiet, so I doubt if it came as much of a surprise that the B737 later found itself in the role of freighter operations.

Buster the Bear
1st Dec 2019, 22:43
Prior to Stobart taking over, how many night large movements took place regularly? Hardly any? Comparing the 80s or 90s to the 2020s is meaningless.

Expressflight
2nd Dec 2019, 06:31
I wasn't aware we were in the 2020s yet; I must have overslept. I cannot answer your question as to the situation prior to 2009 as I was living in France at that time and didn't keep up with activities at SEN.

SWBKCB
2nd Dec 2019, 06:36
Whatever the history, it does seem strange that movement restrictions have been applied to passenger flights only, rather than all movements.

Noise is noise, irrespective of what's on the aircraft.

LTNman
2nd Dec 2019, 20:56
Some might be interested in this video filmed in and around Southend Airport including the control tower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa7HEdaczb0

SEN Observer
3rd Dec 2019, 07:07
What has happened to the Chisinau flights? I thought that when it dropped to one a week on Tuesdays that was for the winter period but there hasn't been one now for the last couple of weeks. Have I misunderstood or missed something?

tophat27dt
3rd Dec 2019, 08:47
What has happened to the Chisinau flights? I thought that when it dropped to one a week on Tuesdays that was for the winter period but there hasn't been one now for the last couple of weeks. Have I misunderstood or missed something?
They restart this month, once weekly until end of March.

SEN Observer
3rd Dec 2019, 09:45
Thank you tophat and thank you LTNman for that interesting video.

asdf1234
6th Dec 2019, 08:39
The results are also out. Profit per passenger before taking into account the cost of attracting Whizz and Ryanair (and assuming the easyjet sweetener has all been paid), the cost of finance interest and the cost of building the airport, is below £4. The airport needs this to be above £8 to make a profit. i.e. in excess of a 100% improvement.

With dwindling resources and having mortgaged the entirety of the Eddie Stobart shares they hold, the board has decided not to pay shareholders a dividend going forward until such time as the airport becomes profitable. What little cash they have left is to be invested in the 2nd hotel and new arrivals terminal. This is the final gamble!

As an aside, the airport is focussing entirely on the departure experience which in itself is not surprising, as it is departing pax that spend money which goes to the airport. However the inbound pax experience is important and to date I've found the queuing at immigration and the luggage belt unacceptably long for a small airport. Hopefully the upcoming investment programme will allow a budget for the installation of automatic passport readers.

The mortgaged Eddie Stobart shares may be the downfall of the Stobart Group today. Andrew Tinkler is positioned to buy the trucking group who are in a financial mess. There is a second bidder in the frame and shareholders are voting today on who should take the group forward. If no agreement can be reached the banks will foreclose. Interestingly, if Tinkler succeeds in his bid, the banks will still call in their loans. Either way this is not good news for the airport owners who borrowed £53m against their shareholding in Eddie Stobart. If the shareholding turns to dust, the £53m becomes repayable immediately, and with no cash available the Stobart Group may well follow Eddie Stobart into receivership.

SWBKCB
6th Dec 2019, 12:14
There is a second bidder in the frame and shareholders are voting today on who should take the group forward.

The vote went the way of the other bidder, not Tinkler

Expressflight
6th Dec 2019, 13:29
Shareholder approval was "overwhelming" in favour of the DBAY proposal and will result in the injection of £55m of new financing to provide the required financial stability. The FCA has acted quickly in granting the application for a Change of Control of the company that was a condition of the deal being implemented.

Over to you asdf1234.

STN Ramp Rat
6th Dec 2019, 13:53
Shareholder approval was "overwhelming" in favour of the DBAY proposal and will result in the injection of £55m of new financing to provide the required financial stability. The FCA has acted quickly in granting the application for a Change of Control of the company that was a condition of the deal being implemented.

Over to you asdf1234.

i understand from the BBC that the new deal sees DBay increase it’s shareholding to 51% and will lend £55 million to Eddie Stobart Logistics at a rate of 18% so the Stobart Groups shareholding will be diluted. I don’t believe there is an immediate threat but the Group is not out of the woods yet

LTNman
6th Dec 2019, 14:38
That £55 million is to stop the group folding I would have thought. Not sure how one bit of Stobart connects to the Stobart aviation side but for the future prosperity of Southend Airport maybe the lease needs to be sold. That idea might not go down too well here but if you was an institution would you lend Stobart new money to expand the airport when it is in financial difficulties? Stobart might find there are no airport investors or the interest rates are too high for those willing to take the risk. I would assume the collateral would normally be the airport but then Stobart doesn't own the airport.

SWBKCB
6th Dec 2019, 15:19
The £55m is for Eddie Stobart - the Haulage company. Stobart Group, the airport operator, are a seperate firm.

According to asdf1234 above, Stobart Group are also shareholders in Eddie Stobart, and have borrowed against the value of these shares.

Media reports describe the £55m of new financing as a "high interest loan".

asdf1234
6th Dec 2019, 20:33

Over to you asdf1234.

Good news for ESL today however their shares still suspended and as mentioned elsewhere, the bail out of ESL comes at an eye-watering cost. Stobart Group mortgaged their shares in ESL and that debt remains unpaid today. The danger of Stobart being in default remains extremely high as the underlying security is still worthless (as the shares can't be sold or traded).

DC3 Dave
9th Dec 2019, 19:55
As the airport grows, so does the tension between those adversely affected and the management.

There is nothing new in the the Echo report, except Glyn Jones stating that Bizz Jets are no longer 24/7.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18088766.southend-airport-defends-using-runway-just-metres-neighbours-homes/

asdf1234
10th Dec 2019, 00:37
They wouldn't bother to put the NOTAM out there unless they have decided not to be open 24/7. Put it this way - will someone be in the FBO at 2200hrs if there are no pre-booked movements and a business jet diverts to SEN unannounced? The answer is no because they will likely be closed. And the NOTAM does suggest other restrictions - i.e. no oxygen service available at the FBO and this has to be arranged with a local operator.

I see it's not just Tagron that is miffed with my post - the Southend spotters facebook page suggests I posted out of a love for STN and LTN and a dislike for SEN!!!

Back to my original question - is the FBO closing overnight (when there are no pre-booked movements) because of a lack of business? Or is there another reason? Lack of qualified staff perhaps? I'm just curious and if nobody here knows the answer, then fine.

It took 6 months for the reason to become clear....

LTNman
10th Dec 2019, 02:59
But Glyn Jones, CEO of Stobart Aviation, says the firm has listened to residents on multiple occasions and tried to offer solutions.
He said: “The average taxi time from the stand to runway is three minutes.
“We have nine aeroplanes based here. They launch in the first hour – that’s the busiest that it gets. The longest hold was less than ten minutes.

Listen and ignore comes to mind. No mention then of their plans to more than double flights in this statement? Can’t think why that would be. 40m from a live Taxiway is extraordinary close and makes London City seem rural with its housing locations.

This is not down to Stobart who are only following the rules but the council who set the rules. What I find stunning is that the council does not appear to get a cut from passenger fees seeing they own the asset. I wonder who led the original lease negotiations? Probably the same person who negotiated Brexit. If the council got passenger income they would be more likely to ignore the complaints and promote expansion which happens at my local airport. For airport expansion to go ahead I can see a complete night ban but would that be a bad thing if it meant more passengers from the airports supporters point of view?

Expressflight
10th Dec 2019, 08:06
LTNman

I think you will find that in every case where SEN has changed hands in recent decades it has just been a matter of assigning the Lease by the then Leaseholder to the new 'buyer', which Southend Council doesn't have the right to 'unreasonably' refuse under English leasehold law. There has been no opportunity for the Council to amend the Lease and they have only been able to introduce night movement restrictions etc. through the planning system. They are unable to impose a 'passenger fee' unless the Leaseholder were to agree an amendment to the Lease to that effect, so really the Council should not be blamed.

Barling Magna
10th Dec 2019, 08:37
Presumably the leaseholder pays an annual fee to the Council? It wouldn't be in the Council's interests for the airport to stumble.

aurigny72
10th Dec 2019, 09:05
When Glyn Jones states that there are nine aircraft based at SEN that is not telling the whole truth is it. While that is the number of scheduled pax based aircraft, there are also the JOTA fleet of seven Bae146/RJ pax/cargo charter aircraft (not sure if they are all in service) and of course the two ASL 737-400F. Then we have the non based arrivals/departures of Loganair and Wizz Air as well. Maybe this post is not relevant to the above discussion but hey ho i thought i would post it anyway.

Expressflight
10th Dec 2019, 09:17
aurigny72

In fairness to Glyn he immediately went on to say "They launch in the first hour" so it was obvious he was referring to the scheduled pax operation.

aurigny72
10th Dec 2019, 11:02
aurigny72

In fairness to Glyn he immediately went on to say "They launch in the first hour" so it was obvious he was referring to the scheduled pax operation.
I can understand what Glyn was saying and yes that is of course quite true but i still feel its misleading for some people to state that only nine aircraft are actually based here.

Falcon666
11th Dec 2019, 05:16
Wizzair to Sibiu

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but it looks like this route is returning to Luton from the beginning of the summer season(29/3) according to their website.
What have the loads been like?

LTNman
11th Dec 2019, 05:31
The Southend route has only just started, a bit quick off the mark aren’t they?

AirportPlanner1
11th Dec 2019, 07:51
It also looks like Iasi will not be going ahead, which was announced only a month or so ago. Bucharest and Vilnius still on sale. Perhaps space/slots became available at LTN?

22/04
11th Dec 2019, 10:06
I ma afraid it looks like Wizz will use SEN as LTN overflow- but given that Luton is hitting if not exceeding its planning limit that should still give SEN capacity unless loads/yields prove much worse.

AirLCY
11th Dec 2019, 10:09
Iasi commences in August

tws123
11th Dec 2019, 11:32
Iasi commences in August

Yes Iasi still on sale from August.

Barling Magna
11th Dec 2019, 16:09
Flyone's Chisinau service is resuming on Tuesdays from January 7th and moving to twice weekly in the summer.

asdf1234
11th Dec 2019, 17:17
My spies tell me the PM just transited through SEN. Are my spies sipping the xmas brandy early or did Boris actually choose SEN over Northolt/Stansted/Luton?

Expressflight
11th Dec 2019, 17:43
Quite correct.

asdf1234
11th Dec 2019, 18:03
Quite correct.
Yes, was sent a pic of him in front of the (in)famous brick fireplace. It is confirmed!

asdf1234
11th Dec 2019, 18:08
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18095082.southend-airport-staff-vote-strike-christmas/

Gary Pearce, GMB Regional Organiser said: "Our members at Southend Airport who work in baggage handling, security, aircraft dispatch and flight operations have been raising their concerns with management in relation to the lack of staff, lack of protective clothing insufficient training, changes to their contracts and what they are paid compared to staff in other local airports for months

AirportPlanner1
15th Dec 2019, 20:53
Flybe major expansion at Southend as they add:
· SEN-NCL 2x daily eff 29th March 2020

Great news for Southend!

Someone should tell Stobart to get this started a day early...Sunderland are away at Roots Hall! The route would get off to a winning start, unlike the Shrimpers

EI-BUD
15th Dec 2019, 22:05
Someone should tell Stobart to get this started a day early...Sunderland are away at Roots Hall! The route would get off to a winning start, unlike the Shrimpers

This is a random route choice. Are their no destinations in near Europe unserved that they could do? EasyJet threw in the towel long ago on STN NCL yet Flybe feel they can make this work. Sceptical much...

AirportPlanner1
16th Dec 2019, 08:09
I guess there is a wider point across all airports that arbitrary summer/winter schedule dates miss this kind of stuff and sometimes defy logic. I’ve noticed in the past for example that Med destinations have ceased before the end of Half Term, but that’s something EZY/FR have got much smarter at in recent years.

SARF
16th Dec 2019, 11:47
the flight back would be very quite as we slip,to minus 100 goal difference

Planespeaking
16th Dec 2019, 12:02
the flight back would be very quite as we slip,to minus 100 goal difference

Or even quiet!

AirportPlanner1
16th Dec 2019, 13:04
No very lively, it’s Sunderland that are travelling. Bumper bar sales too

SEN Observer
18th Dec 2019, 07:35
Two flights today to Sibiu. Start of the Christmas rush? Must be doing ok. Is it still thought that flights will return to Luton summer 2020?

Expressflight
18th Dec 2019, 07:54
Both Sibiu flights today were sold out and there will be two flights next Sunday as well.

SEN Observer
18th Dec 2019, 08:01
Both Sibiu flights today were sold out and there will be two flights next Sunday as well.

Thank you Expressflight. If they are doing that well, why on earth are they going back to Luton? Anybody have any idea what's behind this?

davidjohnson6
18th Dec 2019, 08:45
There is huge demand just before Xmas for people all over Europe to get on a plane and see their families in late Dec, when people have moved country to find work

Perhaps a better evaluation of SEN-SBZ might be outside the Xmas peak

AirportPlanner1
18th Dec 2019, 10:23
Thank you Expressflight. If they are doing that well, why on earth are they going back to Luton? Anybody have any idea what's behind this?

I think we just have to accept that no matter how full or high yielding Wizz flights are at SEN the airline’s preference is to be at LTN. Flights and routes will inevitably come and go depending on capacity at LTN. This is just a budget version of what has long occurred between LGW/STN and LHR.

Expressflight
18th Dec 2019, 10:29
The fact that Wizz have acquired 17 slot pairs at LTN from TUI is probably the reason. I suspect they see LTN very much as their 'back yard' and they want to protect that against the competition. However, if (as reported elsewhere) the Wizz operations at SEN have so far exceeded expectations then some modest growth may also be expected there.