PDA

View Full Version : Southend-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Expressflight
4th Apr 2019, 10:03
The RYR aircraft seem to be getting airborne in around 1,250m of the 1,799m TODA, although I wouldn't like to guess how far along the runway they reach screen height. If they are carrying out a de-rated departure I assume they should become airborne at roughly the same point on the runway each time (?). That certainly seemed to the case with the Flybe E195s which also used de-rated power at SEN.

I believe the 737 MAX 9 has the SFP package as a production standard but I don't know the percentage of 737-800s have it. Obviously it would be only from later production runs as a factory option and I don't know if it's offered as a modification on earlier aircraft.

PLAMALTN
4th Apr 2019, 10:12
You're not going to be seeing a B737-800 in LCY anytime soon! The glide is too hefty for the -800 at 5.5 degrees. I don't know of any such modification that can be done! I'll try it in the Sim tomorrow and see if I make it?

Sharklet_321
4th Apr 2019, 10:21
Haha good luck PLAMALTN.

My main concern is what is the penalty that the aircraft takes in order to be SFP qualified? Is there a weight restriction (additional hardware?) or is it just electronic adjustments to aircraft & engine operation?

PLAMALTN
4th Apr 2019, 10:33
It'd be a combination of all of these I'd imagine - Plus a few other bits!

rog747
4th Apr 2019, 14:08
SFP is optional on 737-800 and it is standard on the 737-900ER -- The MAX versions all are SFP aircraft

Ryanair have had the package fitted on their new deliveries in the past year or so which includes a variety of aerodynamic and system changes.

The SFP is a combination package - the two-position tailskid that allows safe use of higher angles of attack and rotation, while others include sealed slats for all take-off flap positions to 25º which allows the airplane to climb up and away more rapidly on shorter runways and increased flight spoiler deflection on the ground to close to that of the ground spoilers, which deflect to 60º. Winglet credit given for lower landing speeds. A reduced idle thrust transition delay between approach- and ground-idle speeds, which improves stopping distances and increases field-length-limited landing weights. A reduction in the camber, or “splay” of the main landing gear by just over 1°, which increases the uniformity of braking across all four brakes and will help tyre [wear] issues.
- some software changes - which allows for around 3700 kgs extra weight for dispatch landing calculations plus lower landing speeds, and around 1700 kgs extra weight (payload) for take offs

OpsSix
4th Apr 2019, 16:00
SFP is optional on 737-800 and it is standard on the 737-900ER -- The MAX versions all are SFP aircraft

Ryanair have had the package fitted on their new deliveries in the past year or so which includes a variety of aerodynamic and system changes.

The SFP is a combination package - the two-position tailskid that allows safe use of higher angles of attack and rotation, while others include sealed slats for all take-off flap positions to 25º which allows the airplane to climb up and away more rapidly on shorter runways and increased flight spoiler deflection on the ground to close to that of the ground spoilers, which deflect to 60º. Winglet credit given for lower landing speeds. A reduced idle thrust transition delay between approach- and ground-idle speeds, which improves stopping distances and increases field-length-limited landing weights. A reduction in the camber, or “splay” of the main landing gear by just over 1°, which increases the uniformity of braking across all four brakes and will help tyre [wear] issues.
- some software changes - which allows for around 3700 kgs extra weight for dispatch landing calculations plus lower landing speeds, and around 1700 kgs extra weight (payload) for take offs

​​​​​​Goes to show how far Boeing have pushed the 737 design. Shame it's all gone terribly wrong with the MAX.

SARF
4th Apr 2019, 16:20
Great info rog

rog747
4th Apr 2019, 16:36
well there was a 737 short field package way back in the early 70's with the 737-200 - it could land or takeoff on gravel or grass strips 4000' or so

https://youtu.be/aOpBXmqa0eY

southside bobby
4th Apr 2019, 17:11
The Busy Bee B737-2R4CAdv LN-NPB was just such a variant but that operated thru STN back in the day lol.

It was also the only B737 ever to be certified for parachute drops.!!...Now that really is the answer.

DC3 Dave
5th Apr 2019, 21:47
In life (for me) timing is everything. Sometimes that's accidental, sometimes not. Ryanair only took delivery of their first 738 sfp in May last year. Now, I think I can say without contridiction that FR did not order this variant in order that they could operate from SEN. So some smartie saw an opportunity for the airport / airline at a time that was right - essential I'd say for the former. Whoever that individual was..... well done sir / madam. For Southend the future is bright, the future's orange and saffron / metallic blue.

compton3bravo
6th Apr 2019, 06:53
No Dave your health is everything, believe me. Some late night arrivals tonight and no trains to London, not ideal by any means.

Expressflight
6th Apr 2019, 07:46
No Dave your health is everything, believe me. Some late night arrivals tonight and no trains to London, not ideal by any means.
You are correct on both counts. The bespoke taxi service available seems able to cater, so far, for the numbers of pax missing the last train, although at £27.50 to Liverpool Street it's obviously not ideal. Apparently some train drivers at Ilford are being rostered onto 'airport duties' in the near future so whether that might mean earlier and later trains from May I don't know.

PLAMALTN
7th Apr 2019, 20:30
So as promised - Tried the Approach on RW27 at EGLC in the 737-800 simulator and lets just say we made it in but it weren't pretty! PM was calling unstable most of the way down the approach!! I think our VSI was around -1200ft or more, Flap 40 and Airspeed sat around 119kts!! Tanks were a tad over a tonne, I'll keep trying with some legal amounts but don't fancy my chances :-)

SARF
7th Apr 2019, 22:39
Careful. I’d hate for you to knock my old office over.. er or not

rog747
8th Apr 2019, 07:42
So as promised - Tried the Approach on RW27 at EGLC in the 737-800 simulator and lets just say we made it in but it weren't pretty! PM was calling unstable most of the way down the approach!! I think our VSI was around -1200ft or more, Flap 40 and Airspeed sat around 119kts!! Tanks were a tad over a tonne, I'll keep trying with some legal amounts but don't fancy my chances :-)

I read some Boeing blurb that a 737NG could be offered for LCY ops - I do think they were meaning the 737-700 with SFP not the 738

Smartwings land their 737-700's at Paros Island with payload restricted to 120 pax

Expressflight
8th Apr 2019, 12:19
Rumours seem to be growing that early and late trains on the Liverpool Street line might soon be introduced. The latest report suggests that these would terminate/originate at SEN and operate with limited stops from/to Liverpool Street.

mikkie4
8th Apr 2019, 12:58
reports from another forum has said that SEN has a notified RFF CAT 7 what ever that means(answers in plain English please)

Planespeaking
8th Apr 2019, 13:11
reports from another forum has said that SEN has a notified RFF CAT 7 what ever that means(answers in plain English please)

I hink you will find that refers to Rescue and Fire categories which have been upgraded to meet the B738 requirements.

tophat27dt
8th Apr 2019, 14:03
I hink you will find that refers to Rescue and Fire categories which have been upgraded to meet the B738 requirements.
Correct sir!

DC3 Dave
8th Apr 2019, 21:52
Rumours seem to be growing that early and late trains on the Liverpool Street line might soon be introduced. The latest report suggests that these would terminate/originate at SEN and operate with limited stops from/to Liverpool Street.

Can't happen. No crossover for the train. Could put one in or build a bay road (3rd platform), but that's not something that can be done overnight. Early trains to London are more than adequate, but there's nothing to hope for other than 1 additional train in the evening. There's an army of workers waiting to access the track every night after the last train, and every train has to be prepared for the next day's service.

SEN Observer
9th Apr 2019, 06:00
Can't happen. No crossover for the train. Could put one in or build a bay road (3rd platform), but that's not something that can be done overnight. Early trains to London are more than adequate, but there's nothing to hope for other than 1 additional train in the evening. There's an army of workers waiting to access the track every night after the last train, and every train has to be prepared for the next day's service.

Could be done. Not aware of where the nearest crossover is in the London direction but the whole line is signalled for single line working so it would not be too far away or single track working would be nigh on impossible After the last SOV train has run single line working could be employed from SEN to the first crossover. There wouldn't be too may trains to allow for this. As far as engineering possession goes, this may have to be shortened by an hour and a half or so each night; if this happens with this delay that means the last train could be at about 00:30. I have never worked on the railway so perhaps I'm talking rubbish. Just my thoughts on the subject.

AirportPlanner1
9th Apr 2019, 06:12
I doubt very much they work on either of the two lines every single night of the week, let alone both of them. The GA mainline for example has freight running through the night to/from Stratford jct. Therefore it would be possible to run a later/earlier train in either direction. It’s more likely an issue with staff contracts or some weird railway bureaucracy, although if it were such a thing they overcame it during the Olympics.

virginblue
9th Apr 2019, 07:30
Why can't they simply let the train continue to Victoria just two stations down the line (and in doing so, have some more punters going to/from Southend onboard)?

SEN Observer
9th Apr 2019, 09:08
Why can't they simply let the train continue to Victoria just two stations down the line (and in doing so, have some more punters going to/from Southend onboard)?
Depends on what limited stops means. If it was only going to stop at, say, Shenfield, Romford and Stratford on the way then there would probably not be enough at Southend Vic to warrant it. Also perhaps rowdy club goers on their way home wouldn't be welcome on what is intended to be an airport train, throwing up on foreign visitors for instance. If it does come about, and starts it's journey at SEN, then there must be some reason behind the decision. Part funded by Stobart??

davidjohnson6
9th Apr 2019, 10:21
I'm possibly being a bit thick, but what is there against the airport providing a subsidy to National Express or another coach company for early morning / late night ? It solves all the problems of rail engineering works, and means rather than one single train service with 300+ seats (and potentially a very long wait between services) you can instead have coaches spaced at regular intervals. Maybe set up some revenue sharing scheme so coach and train have interchangeable tickets. If these coaches can show up in the national rail timetable this would encourage potential passengers

Stansted had far more pax per year than Southend does before early morning / late night trains were introduced. I really think that some sort of interim and lower cost scheme is needed to ensure demand can be proven further to all the relevant stakeholders in a train service

SEN Observer
9th Apr 2019, 10:44
National Express tried a late coach a couple of years or so ago. It only lasted a few months.

AirportPlanner1
9th Apr 2019, 10:46
They got National Express signed up a while back, sadly it was launched during the winter when there were few flights and even fewer that needed late/early buses. It didn’t last long. It probably would now be more viable.

DC3 Dave
9th Apr 2019, 11:03
The nearest crossover is just east of Hockley Station, about 5km from SEN, so that seems feasible for such a plan. The last London-bound train leaves Hockley at 23.12.

They will not wrong road a train that distance with Southend bound trains still on the down.

​​​​​​Anyway, the timetable changes in May and the last London bound train remains 23:05. Timetables are planned a year or so in advance, so the next revision - Dec 2019 - will be more or less set in stone by now.

If the train operator could get away with it they would simply run trains to London in the morning and back to Southend in the evening peak. They are contractually required to run an off-peak service, it's the only reason they do so.

The only way Southend Airport will get late night services to London is if it becomes a contractual requirement when the franchise comes up for renewal.

DJ is right. A coach service is required, I am surprised no one has come forward given the increased in pax
numbers.

southside bobby
9th Apr 2019, 13:52
"Hundreds of passengers stranded" last night with 8 flights diverting away due fog according to the Echo then.

Expressflight
9th Apr 2019, 14:52
National Express tried a late coach a couple of years or so ago. It only lasted a few months.

It was very badly promoted and started in the low season. I eventually found the timetable at the Moneycorp desk in the check-in hall which is about the last place one would expect. Stobart decided they didn't want it costing them £20,000 per month for so little return and it was pulled.

There is currently a Andrews Taxi/Southend Airport joint experimental coach service from SEN to Upminster Tube station, apparently running hourly from 09.15 to 22.30 each day at a cost of £10. This is mentioned on the SEN website only in the 'Rail Replacement' notice so people thinking of using a coach during the day are unlikely to find out about it. Oh, and you can only get further information about it "from the Taxi Marshal" - very helpful if you wanted to book in advance. Not very impressive.

Expressflight
9th Apr 2019, 16:23
Regarding early and late trains - yes, it's likely they will be in the timetable coming out soon.

DC3 Dave
9th Apr 2019, 18:33
Regarding early and late trains - yes, it's likely they will be in the timetable coming out soon.

Whilst I will always defer to your knowledge of aviation, Greater Anglia's May timetable is out and the last London bound train remains 23:05.
The last Tfl (Crossrail service) from Sheffield departs 23:44. We will have to wait until services through London commence to see if running hours are extended, if that happens I could see a later shuttle service between Southend and Shenfield.

​​​​​​Just to add this: The first train from London will arrive at 06:31 in the new timetable.

​​​​​​​As said previously, timetables are developed in May and December. Any changes introduced between are just technical - add a minute here, take 30 secs away elsewhere.

SEN Observer
9th Apr 2019, 21:20
[QUOTE=DC3 Dave;10443581]
"As said previously, timetables are developed in May and December. Any changes introduced between are just technical - add a minute here, take 30 secs away elsewhere."

Try telling that to Govia Thameslink passengers. Timetables can be radically altered at very short notice. Not saying this will happen here, but short notice changes are not impossible! We'll just have to wait and see.

southside bobby
10th Apr 2019, 06:49
Come off it the RYR base was announced 13.6.18 !!...10 months ago & of course worked up long before that.

Stobart are "winging it" as usual.

Expressflight
10th Apr 2019, 06:50
The timetable on the GA website is still that from 9th December 2018. When I spoke with them yesterday they said the new timetable has not yet been published and, in answer to my question about early and late trains, said that with new timetable/trains coming coming in, this (early and late trains) may be the case but that (the person I was speaking to) wasn't aware of the specifics so it would be best to wait until the timetable has been published. Make of that what you will.

DC3 Dave
10th Apr 2019, 07:52
The timetable on the GA website is still that from 9th December 2018. When I spoke with them yesterday they said the new timetable has not yet been published and, in answer to my question about early and late trains, said that with new timetable/trains coming coming in, this (early and late trains) may be the case but that (the person I was speaking to) wasn't aware of the specifics so it would be best to wait until the timetable has been published. Make of that what you will.

​​​​​The working (staff) timetable is published long before. You are correct,in saying the public one is not yet available. Here is a summary of significant changes on various lines from Network Rail. Perhaps we should move on before we are sent packing off to some train spotters' forum. I shall of course lay prostrate at your feet and beg forgiveness if you are proved correct.

National Rail Enquiries - Changes to the National Rail Timetable (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/48.aspx#GA1)

How are Ryanair settling in after the first week?

Expressflight
10th Apr 2019, 08:11
I've just spotted something interesting on the National Rail website. If you book the earliest and latest trains to/from SIA up until early June the existing times all appear. If you book the first and last current trains from 10th June your attention is drawn to a note to which says "... some additional services may be missing from the journey planner." I think that is significant.

Expressflight
10th Apr 2019, 08:44
​​​​​How are Ryanair settling in after the first week?

Things have run very smoothly apart from a couple of diversions of RYR aircraft on Monday evening due to fog at SEN. On Tuesday morning they ran the early SEN-DUB-SEN in reverse using a DUB aircraft and also sent an additional aircraft from STN early Tuesday morning to ensure no undue delays to the first wave outbound. I think most people have been surprised at the landing performance of the 738SFP at SEN - most landings on 23 clear via Charlie and some on 05 via Bravo. Many PMI and ALC flights for example have shown as 'sold out', as have some DUB flights, but I don't have any definite numbers on any of the routes as yet.

DC3 Dave
10th Apr 2019, 09:10
I hate myself for doing so, but going back to trains, here is a summary of the shutdowns planned in the next 12 months. You will note it includes a complete shutdown between 25th May and 2nd June from Southend to Wickford.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/southend-improvements

SWBKCB
10th Apr 2019, 10:15
I think most people have been surprised at the landing performance of the 738SFP at SEN - most landings on 23 clear via Charlie and some on 05 via Bravo.

All good, but on a short, narrow runway the test will come when it gets wet and windy.

Tagron
10th Apr 2019, 10:49
All good, but on a short, narrow runway the test will come when it gets wet and windy.

The point being missed here is the difference between the demonstrated performance of the -800SFP (and for that matter any aircraft) and the factored performance. It is the factored performance that is required for airport and route planning together with pre flight planning on the day. The incremental factor is 60%. As an example it follows that if an aircraft can be scheduled to land on a 1600m runway at a given weight, the demonstrated landing distance will be 1000m. The line pilots may not wish to emulate the Boeing test pilots who generated that data but there remains a big gap between the two figures of which advantage can be taken.

So I am not the least surprised by the observations from SEN. It is what is to be expected. The whole purpose of the factoring is to ensure safety margins in day to day operations. Anyone expecting to see the -SFP only just stopping before the end of the SEN runway was bound to be disappointed.

Expressflight
10th Apr 2019, 11:58
Tagron

I certainly wasn't suggesting that anyone was "expecting to see the -SFP only just stopping before the end of the runway" but my impression is that the RYR aircraft vacate via Charlie more frequently than do the EZY aircraft. Moreover, Charlie is only 1,000m into the LDA on 23 so perhaps they use autobrake 3 as a SOP at SEN.

SARF
10th Apr 2019, 12:19
Ryan air doing a few laps before landing this lunchtime

GiveMeABreak
10th Apr 2019, 12:24
Fire engine broke down on the runway.

Tagron
10th Apr 2019, 12:41
Expressflight

No it certainly was not you I had in mind with that comment. It was the suggestions from some others that seemed to indicate an area of misunderstanding, both here and on other threads.
It would also seem possible to me that those RYR inbounds last week could have been lightly loaded - start of the season and start of new services - that would not be unusual.. In high summer with full loads and higher ambient temperatures brake cooling issues could come into play which could impact on turn round times. Then the option to use positive braking to make an early turn off would be less attractive. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

SARF
10th Apr 2019, 13:07
Those delays in landing are allowing BA to be a nuciance now. Lol

Expressflight
10th Apr 2019, 14:06
Those delays in landing are allowing BA to be a nuciance now. Lol
Yes, a nice hour's training a little earlier for a BACF E170 flying very accurate circuits.

737aviator
10th Apr 2019, 17:30
Tagron
Moreover, Charlie is only 1,000m into the LDA on 23 so perhaps they use autobrake 3 as a SOP at SEN.

Autobrake max & max reverse mandatory. 3 is nowhere near enough on a 737 to stop in 1000m with average landing weights.

Expressflight
10th Apr 2019, 17:59
Autobrake max & max reverse mandatory. 3 is nowhere near enough on a 737 to stop in 1000m with average landing weights.

How are RYR achieving this then during normal SEN Ops, as I thought autobrake 3 is the maximum? Perhaps I'm mistaken in that belief.

LTNman
10th Apr 2019, 19:11
The terms of the franchise will dictate the rail timetable which will specify the times of the first and last trains. If it isn’t a requirement to operate more trains then it probably won’t happen as it will be a cost to the business.

southside bobby
10th Apr 2019, 19:19
Only into the first week of RYR ops then & diversions away.

Increased costings for RYR already so one wonders if Stobart have underwritten those likely extra costs at SEN in the contract small print?

Planespeaking
10th Apr 2019, 19:39

Increased costings for RYR already so one wonders if Stobart have underwritten those likely extra costs at SEN in the contract small print?
It's what's known as wx diversions SSB. Like sometimes when SEN receives them when other airports are closed due to weather.

tophat27dt
10th Apr 2019, 19:41

Is it any of our business to find out these things?

DC3 Dave
10th Apr 2019, 22:08

Are you taking into account that only the sfp operates at SEN? Until FR started to take delivery of this variant a year ago, their 738's were considered non-starters because of the 1604m LDA.

rog747
11th Apr 2019, 06:20
737 - 800NG SFP auto brake
From my pal who drives them out of LGW for another carrier

The auto brake selector knob (rotary switch) has four settings: RTO (rejected takeoff), 1, 2, 3 and MAX (maximum). Settings 1, 2 and 3 and RTO can be armed by turning the selector; but, MAX can only be set by simultaneously pulling the selector knob outwards and turning to the right; this is a safety feature to eliminate the chance that the selector is set to MAX accidentally.

auto brake will engage upon landing, when -
auto brake selector knob (1, 2, 3 or MAX) has been set;
The thrust levers are in the idle position immediately prior to touchdown and the main wheels spin-up.

If the auto brake has not been selected before landing, it can still be engaged after touchdown, providing the aircraft has not decelerated below 60 knots.

To disengage the autobrake system, do one of the following -

(i) The autobrake selector knob is turned to OFF
(ii) The speed brake lever is moved to the 'down' detent position;
(iii) The thrust levers are advanced from idle to forward thrust (except during the first 3 seconds of landing); or,
(iv) Either pilot applies manual braking.

For shorter and wet runways, and/or in high crosswinds flight crews may prefer (or have to, if a SOP) to use the autobrake rather than use manual braking.

DC3 Dave
11th Apr 2019, 07:54
EZY winter schedule published. BUD returns.

Sharklet_321
12th Apr 2019, 22:44
4 aircraft still? Any gaps for a 5th?

Tom!
12th Apr 2019, 23:08
Are you taking into account that only the sfp operates at SEN? Until FR started to take delivery of this variant a year ago, their 738's were considered non-starters because of the 1604m LDA.
Flap40/Auto brake 3 will get you stopped in around 1600m(or slightly less even) on a dry runway with a typical 60ton weight in an SFP. Anything less than that or a wet runway needs MAX to comfortably(:}) make it.

rog747
13th Apr 2019, 07:21
Flap40/Auto brake 3 will get you stopped in around 1600m(or slightly less even) on a dry runway with a typical 60ton weight in an SFP. Anything less than that or a wet runway needs MAX to comfortably(:}) make it.

I'm not sure if flap 40 is approved to use with FR? Do you fly with them Tom>? Many thanks..

mik3bravo
19th Apr 2019, 05:30
SEN security clearance check area extremely busy this morning. Very long queues backed up to top of escalator from ground floor checkin desks to departures floor.

Not all of the x-ray scanner lanes open given this is a major bank holiday weekend with mass movement of people.

Repeated final boarding calls as clearly pax are being caught up in the security clearance queues. A lot of stressed out passengers, people getting fed up.

Security staff doing their very best to get passengers through.

FR2184 Alicante and EZY7421 Palma both receiving a lot of final call notices. Sounds like some passengers may not make it through security queues in time to make final boarding call requests.

southside bobby
19th Apr 2019, 08:28
Oooops….& there goes the reputation,it was simple running a terminal with little throughput at peak periods & collecting the plaudits.

aurigny72
19th Apr 2019, 08:35
SEN security clearance check area extremely busy this morning. Very long queues backed up to top of escalator from ground floor checkin desks to departures floor.

Not all of the x-ray scanner lanes open given this is a major bank holiday weekend with mass movement of people.

Repeated final boarding calls as clearly pax are being caught up in the security clearance queues. A lot of stressed out passengers, people getting fed up.

Security staff doing their very best to get passengers through.

FR2184 Alicante and EZY7421 Palma both receiving a lot of final call notices. Sounds like some passengers may not make it through security queues in time to make final boarding call requests.
This is not good for SEN reputation as a quick and stress free airport to get through, especially if some PAX have indeed missed their flights because of the long wait to get through security. What happened to the terminal expansion plans i wonder, this should have been started during the winter months i would have thought.

SWBKCB
19th Apr 2019, 08:36
Oooops….& there goes the reputation,it was simple running a terminal with little throughput at peak periods & collecting the plaudits.

Agreed - was always going to be a probabilty with the added growth. It's easy to have a nice pleasant, relaxing terminal when there's nobody in it. The challenge now is how Stobart handle this next phase of expansion - can they keep everybody happy (including the shareholders!)

Sharklet_321
19th Apr 2019, 09:19
I suppose it’s a good problem to have. I’d be worried if it wasn’t heaving at this time of the year

Barling Magna
19th Apr 2019, 09:31
It IS a good problem to have, but it IS still a problem and IF it is down to a lack of staffing then Stobart need to buck their ideas up.

willy wombat
19th Apr 2019, 09:34
To put it into perspective, how long (timewise) were people queuing? I've waited a good 20 mins at LGW often enough and on a few occasions 30 mins at EDI.

Planespeaking
19th Apr 2019, 09:37

Meanwhile LTN and STN I presume are oasis' of peace and tranquility✈️✈️ !!

DC3 Dave
19th Apr 2019, 09:49
It IS a good problem to have, but it IS still a problem and IF it is down to a lack of staffing then Stobart need to buck their ideas up.

Sums it up in a single sentence. They clearly knew this was coming with warnings to arrive 2 hours before departure flashing up on the website. Given Stobart still expect to double numbers within 3 years they will need to act soon before the airport's decent reputation starts to go sour.

It is good to see that this morning's first wave all departed on time. All, that is, except DUB which left 5 minutes late. Could it be that mik3bravo was having a cheeky Guinness before boarding?

tophat27dt
19th Apr 2019, 10:22
I have read no evidence of anybody missing their flight. I am sure the airlines will complain to Stobart if this happens.

davidjohnson6
19th Apr 2019, 10:33
What is the capacity of the security check area at SEN ? The building's architecture means that it seems a bit of a future bottleneck without any obvious easy way of expansion of security check capacity long term - apart from major remodelling of the airport

SARF
19th Apr 2019, 10:41
I’m sure they could fit more scanners in that area unless they have to be a requisite distance apart. Otherwise they could trash the lounge that every body hates

mik3bravo
19th Apr 2019, 11:21
To put it into perspective, how long (timewise) were people queuing? I've waited a good 20 mins at LGW often enough and on a few occasions 30 mins at EDI.

I estimate around 45 mins. I took note of the people at the end of the queue right at the top of the escalator and saw them pick up their shoes, bags, belts from x-ray scanners. I had the foresight to buy fast track security cause I suspected it will be a jungle this weekend. My fast track had me through security in 5 minutes.

mik3bravo
19th Apr 2019, 11:23
Sums it up in a single sentence. They clearly knew this was coming with warnings to arrive 2 hours before departure flashing up on the website. Given Stobart still expect to double numbers within 3 years they will need to act soon before the airport's decent reputation starts to go sour.

It is good to see that this morning's first wave all departed on time. All, that is, except DUB which left 5 minutes late. Could it be that mik3bravo was having a cheeky Guinness before boarding?

Not me guv. Bunch of Essex girls had melt downs on-board about no room overhead for their 'over sized' bags. We got there in the end.

southside bobby
19th Apr 2019, 14:26
"Meanwhile LTN and STN I presume are oasis` of peace and tranquillity !!"...

But yes of course a pure ocean of it as always I suspect.

But the specifics were SEN & things appear to have gone a little awry this AM varying somewhat from the CEO`s oft stated mantra concerning ease of use unlike other London Airports.

LTNman
19th Apr 2019, 14:38
Actually while Luton is busy it is flowing with all its new security gates now open so I have seen no queues.
Anyway this is is what you all wanted, hands up here who wanted Southend half empty? Who wants even more flights? I guess the folk here do. Welcome to the club of heaving airports.

Still number one next year? Maybe but it sounds like the honeymoon is over.

LTNman
19th Apr 2019, 15:40
I have read no evidence of anybody missing their flight. I am sure the airlines will complain to Stobart if this happens.

They won’t say a word. Tickets are non refundable so why should they care. The airport is saying arrive at SEN 2 hours before departure which is the same as most of the other airports.

Anyway I see the airport now offers a fast track through security if passengers pay for the privilege. Seems it has to be done 2 days in advance although I would imagine for an extra fee passengers can pay on the day and queue jump.

AirportPlanner1
19th Apr 2019, 19:30
I’m sceptical the queue would have been 45 mins. I queued from the stairs down to check in on a Friday morning in November (lots of stags, hens, groups etc going out to Prague, Amsterdam, Dublin, Alicante) arriving just before 6. Forty minutes later we were in the air.

DC3 Dave
19th Apr 2019, 23:23
I would not question the report from our friend, however as he said he fast tracked by the despairing mass. What I can say is that as someone who - like most I suppose - hates to queue, unless I took the trouble to actually time a delay, 10 minutes would seem like half an hour.

But context is always important. On 22/9/17 Glyn Jones bragged to Simon Calder that 6 minutes was the longest time anyone had ever waited to pass through security at SEN. A proud boast indeed. And one I had hoped could be maintained give or take a minute or two as the airport expanded.

mik3bravo
19th Apr 2019, 23:48
Look, I was there. I heard at least 4 final calls onnthose flights and then calls out for pax names. The queues were the longest and stalling without movement for the longest eriods I've witnessed yet at SEN.. A lot of security trays backing up the scanner rollers, a lot of trays quarantined for further checks. It looked like SEN was not able to handle the influx of passenger volumes. it was definitely at least 45 minutes because I I know what time I stepped of the top of the escalator to see the crowds assembled, and I checked the time it took the bunch of fellas on what looked like a stag party to come through security clearance. Be sceptical all you want, I was there, I'm certain on my times and the number of repeated final boarding calls before resorting to calling out pax names. At end of the day, it's a holiday weekend, and SEN did stipulate min 2 hour turn up before your flight. Clearly a lot of people didn't bother to take that advice. Very few people came through fast track, majority queued at a stand still whilst security x-ray rollers were jammed up with a lot of baggage secondary checks, it was very hectic.

DC3 Dave
20th Apr 2019, 00:15
mik3bravo

Your first post 0630. Given the content you must have been up at least 2 hours before. Your latest post 0048! No slurring, no waffle. Total respect to you.

LTNman
20th Apr 2019, 05:35
I past through Luton last month. Security was like a well oiled machine that only 4 of the 16 security lines needing to be open. One of the things that slows down the queues is the lack of staff efficiency training and using inefficient security equipment. Airports make money from retail and nothing from security lines so it is in their interests to get passengers through security as quick as possible.

One of the issues Southend faces is that the really busy period is probably around 90 minutes but staff won’t work for 90 minute shifts so a balance has to be reached with staffing levels. I see today there are 4 departures timed for 6:30 and then 7:00 and 7:05. Basically that is the busy period over for the day.

With no public transport on offer for those passengers and reported long queues maybe Southend in the early morning is an airport to avoided? This would be a real shame.

AirportPlanner1
20th Apr 2019, 06:54
Be sceptical all you want, I was there, I'm certain on my times and the number of repeated final boarding calls before resorting to calling out pax names.

Repeated final boarding calls seems to be standard practice even when quiet. For example I’ve seen this circa 2:15-30pm (having arrived early and walked through empty security) when the only people in the lounge were 30-odd heading to Manchester, 40-odd heading to Groningen and some stragglers for Dublin. Still people fail to make it out the bar and we watched a couple from he Dublin flight get offloaded.

I would be shocked if the actual wait wait time was anything like 45 mins.

Barling Magna
20th Apr 2019, 13:10
I see no reason to doubt what M3B has said. I guess teething troubles are to be expected since this was probably the first day when pax numbers were so high in such a short time space. The important thing is that Stobart learn from this.

LTNman
21st Apr 2019, 06:22
I see no reason to doubt what M3B has said. I guess teething troubles are to be expected since this was probably the first day when pax numbers were so high in such a short time space. The important thing is that Stobart learn from this.

Stobart has known about the pending arrival of Ryanair for months. They will also know the capacity for security per lane per hour and they will know how many passengers were expected to need to pass through security in the morning peak. If they had a closed lane then they don’t employ enough staff or some of the equipment was bust.

Queues = £.

No queues = ££££

More like a case case of Stobart looking at their back pocket.

Got to be honest why would SEN need more than one or two lanes anyway as Southend’s busy period is actually not that busy. Just 4 departures and then a half hour gap.

mik3bravo
22nd Apr 2019, 18:57
I'm a big fan of SEN, I want them to succeed and to listen and learn. They should review their cctv footage for queuing times at serious peak periods. Anyway, a lesson learned - SEN need to flood the security check area with staff and have all scanner lanes open, and running like military for the next bank holiday.

Meanwhile, my second time to use Ryanair into SEN tonight, and delayed 30 mins, was scheduled to depart DUB 21:35, delayed to 22:05.

Two weeks ago, the Carry on Fire Engine packed up on SEN runway, combined with delays down at Malaga, totally ballsed up that Ryanair quite spectacularly from its original 21:35 and became at 23:05 Delayed departure. These graveyard slots are Russian Roulette.

mik3bravo
22nd Apr 2019, 19:06
mik3bravo

Your first post 0630. Given the content you must have been up at least 2 hours before. Your latest post 0048! No slurring, no waffle. Total respect to you.
#DC3 Dave - yes, was up really early to catch the redeye out. I'm only up the 127 from SEN so easy peasy. SEN were advertising on radio stations to rock up 2 hours beforehand. Looks like I was the only one who actually listened and followed orders. I had fast security anyway but took no chances cause I know just how crazy airports can be at holiday peaks. Fail to plan, plan to fail. I spend most of my time in airports or in the sky, so I pay closer attention to details and got my routines well oiled to get me through all the chaos.

LTNman
22nd Apr 2019, 22:35
Now that Southend is getting busier it is getting harder to justify the terminal closing overnight. If 2 hours is the recommended minimum time to arrive at the airport those arriving 3 hours before departure will find themselves locked out for some of those early departures.

brian_dromey
23rd Apr 2019, 00:12
These graveyard slots are Russian Roulette.

Ever was it thus! Last flight of the day UK-Ireland are often the 8th sector of the day. Even 10th sometimes. It’s easy to pick up delays and there’s no time to make them up. If the anything the delays tend to build as slot times are missed.

Sadly, this is not limited to Ryanair or Southend. Something to bear in mind when booking late flights. Don’t cut it fine with the last bus/train. You’re likely to miss it!

LTNman
23rd Apr 2019, 04:59
Southend based aircraft seem in the main to do 3 round trips a day rather than 4 so should show less delays I would have thought. Also Southend aircraft seem quite leisurely in their first flights of the day which never leave before 6:30. Does Southend’s night time restrictions end at 6:00 or 6:30?

Expressflight
23rd Apr 2019, 06:16
Does Southend’s night time restrictions end at 6:00 or 6:30?

No departure can be scheduled before 06:30.

Odd that I could find no other reference to security delays on Good Friday morning - nothing on social media, no press reports. Even on the FB forum 'Southend Airport Movements and Operations' there was only mystification that PPRuNe was talking about it; no one there seemed aware of it. Of course calls for specific passengers to go to the Gate are commonplace as any regular traveller knows, so don't mean anything in that context. I really do find it hard to swallow that 45 minutes to get through security wouldn't have raised comments elsewhere - but it evidently happened.

Pain in the R's
23rd Apr 2019, 06:40
Expressflight. I don't think you looked too hard. This search took 20 seconds. Latest report dated today but it takes I few days for reports to be published so could well be the 19th.
https://www.airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/southend-airport/

Expressflight
23rd Apr 2019, 07:53
Hello PitR's, some time since we exchanged views.
Thanks for finding that item; could well have been last Friday although you're somewhat harsh criticising me for not finding something that has just been posted don't you think? That poster's comments reference the trains are particular pertinent and perhaps an even bigger problem at present. I see that SEN had a message on the website over the weekend asking pax to ensure their liquids are put into the appropriate plastic bag and that electronic devices are ready for inspection at Security. I understand they have recently appointed a new Head of Security so hopefully things will improve.

Expressflight
23rd Apr 2019, 13:54
Early and Late Trains

The Greater Anglia website now has a timetable valid from 19th May 2019.
This shows that from early September there is a departure from Liverpool Street at 04:30 arriving SEN at 05:17 (slightly later dep LST some days and excludes Sundays) with a stop at Stratford only. There is also a departure from SEN at 23:59 every day arriving Liverpool Street at 00:55 with stops at Shenfield and Stratford only. I assume that September is the earliest date from which this service can start due to the current ongoing line renewals/maintenance.

mik3bravo
23rd Apr 2019, 16:02
@ExpressFlight - there might be possibility I may use SEN one or two times very shortly and potentially over the next bank holiday weekend too.

I am happy to capture more info, date/time stamped pics so you can see for yourself the queues beginning at the top of the escalator.

What will be helpful will be for SEN to install two lanes starting at the top of the escalator, one marked as Fast Track Security, the other marked as Regular Track Security.

At the moment pax don't see the signs for Fast Track until you arrive up at the boarding bass readers before entering the security scanning area.

Also, give pax the option to purchase fast track security tickets from 2 or 3 ticket vending machines in the terminal - revenue generation!

Also, allow pax to purchase a fast track security pass online at any time so people can use their mobile devices to buy online and walk straight up to Fast Track there and then.

Finally, at seriously peaked times, all scanner lanes should be open and staffed fully.

I did notice a lot of dumb pax rocking up to the scanners as if their first time in an airport, stuffing liquids, gels, pastes in carry on luggage, questioning need to remove baggy jumpers, boots, and the like.

There needs to be staff manning the queue to shout out belts off, jackets, off, hats off, laptops out, liquids, gels, pastes in see through sealed bag, blah, blah, blah. People do not listen and then freak when delays occur because some idiots rock up with their heads up their arse.

Also, you need staff removing empty bins on rollers, I saw three lanes completely clogged up with bins whilst secondary screening staff tried to work through the flagged items for a secondary check. Again, no matter how many times you ask people, very few have an ounce of smarts to physically place their empty in the stacker.

Its these really simple adjustments all add up to a well lubricated throughput. I know it's not easy, but I'm sorry, most people seem to become difficult to manage when they enter an airport security check.

Red Four
23rd Apr 2019, 16:16
Expressflight: that's great news on the train front.
M3B: some good practical suggestions there.

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2019, 16:18
Residents in Wells Avenue adjacent to taxiway Charlie are revolting.

First carried by local papers the story has now been taken & featured by all the daily National`s.

Expressflight
23rd Apr 2019, 16:33
mik3bravo

Your suggestions make a lot of sense and I'll pass them on appropriately.

mik3bravo
23rd Apr 2019, 16:43

First carried by local papers the story has now been taken & featured by all the daily National`s.

I'd happily buy their house if they can't live with reverse thrust.

Planespeaking
23rd Apr 2019, 16:54

We can always rely on SSB to glom onto any bad stories about other airports. Perhaps you should have done more research to find out the full back story to this woman's family...the fact that someone in her family worked on the airport and was made redundant. That they have made 500 complaints to the airport in 2 months. They have a grudge. The fact that SEN has been a fully licensed commercial airport since 1935, and she moved into that property 7 years ago says it all.
Get a grip and take responsibility for your own decisions.
I don't like traffic noise, so why would I buy a house next to the M25 and then complain?

asdf1234
23rd Apr 2019, 17:07
We can always rely on SSB to glom onto any bad stories about other airports. Perhaps you should have done more research to find out the full back story to this woman's family...the fact that someone in her family worked on the airport and was made redundant. That they have made 500 complaints to the airport in 2 months. They have a grudge. The fact that SEN has been a fully licensed commercial airport since 1935, and she moved into that property 7 years ago says it all.
Get a grip and take responsibility for your own decisions.
I don't like traffic noise, so why would I buy a house next to the M25 and then complain?

Can we have links to both the original story and also PlaneSpeaking's research? Whilst I appreciate this is a rumour network and rumours are not always verifiable there does seems to be underlying sources for both sides of this story.

I have heard (no pun intended) anecdotal evidence that the Ryanair flights are noisier both on take-off and landing than the easyJet operations. Maybe it is the introduction of FR ops that has caused residents to increase their complaints. Also bear in mind that residents had until March 2019 to apply for compensation due to noise pollution. Did the FR ops only start in April for a reason?

LTNman
23rd Apr 2019, 17:16
https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/essex-bbqs-ruined-planes-driving-past-garden/

“We have recorded and investigated over 430 individual complaints and found that in every case, the aircraft concerned was operating normally, legitimately and within the Airports operating framework.

This is is airport speak for tough we don't care and the law is an ass for residents as airport workers are protected by law while they are not.

I live a mile away from Luton and that is bad enough. I would expect noise levels to hit illegal limits if she is that close to the runway and was working without ear protection. Airport staff would be mandated to wear ear protection yet she is expected to just get on with her life that has been blighted by expansion that she could have not been expected to have predicted.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/extras/noiseatwork.pdf

A jet aircraft taking off 25 metres away will be 140 dB(A)

If the daily noise level reaches 85dB(A), the law says that ear protection must not only be provided, it must be worn.

mik3bravo
23rd Apr 2019, 17:33
I smell compensation culture creeping in.

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2019, 17:37
The back story whether relevant or not will not be apparent to the readers of the Nationals I would hazard & that was the significance of my post,that is has been picked up big style.

I read the property history & woman`s story slightly differently it appears.

Hardly a "grudge" perhaps...have you watched the video!.

The airport operator do appear dismissive though I must admit & in terms of corporate relations & media response seem lacking.

Best perhaps contact the Telegraph/Mirror et al with the "real" story.

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2019, 17:43
Compensation culture!!..she is very welcome.

Perhaps I should have written have you listened to the video!.

Expressflight
23rd Apr 2019, 18:03
LTNman

The distance from the house to the runway centreline is about 150m. "A jet aircraft taking off 25m away will be 140 dB(A)" you quoted, but that's obviously a very crude measurement. Is that for a BAC 1-11 or an A320neo? - quite a difference between the two so the actual noise would have to be measured for it to mean anything. Maybe one of the newspapers could pay for that to be done for a start. I can fully appreciate that the family finds the noise very intrusive but it's certainly true that they MUST have known it would be before moving in - especially as it's alleged that both husband and wife worked for ATC Lasham at SEN.
Their main gripe seems to be that aircraft using Taxiway Charlie causes them most annoyance, yet that has been in use since the late 1950s. The only time it wasn't used by A320-sized aircraft was for a period of perhaps 12 months, maybe two years ago, when it suffered instability problems; after that it was rebuilt and put back into regular use. I really do find it difficult to feel sympathy with their attitude.

mik3bravo
23rd Apr 2019, 18:46
Perhaps install noise abatement screens along all private dwellings abutting the airfield at Wells Ave & Avro Rd which are closest to TWY C.

Although, don't be surprised is alleged compainants allege violations to right to light.

I'd sooner let a case run through the courts and takes your chances. At the end of the day, there are mitigating factors in this situation. Airfield predates dwellings. Private resident occupants who allegedly are the source of a complaint, seem to have entered into a wilful decision to purchase and reside at the property in full knowledge of proximity to an active commercial airport. Additionally, it's alleged they worked at said airfield. Legally is a closed book. Run a case, set precedent, move on.

southside bobby
23rd Apr 2019, 20:06
Admire the faith in the legal system...a good brief could argue the complaints have only arisen this Summer...over intensification for what is basically a 1935 site.

Anyways end result bad publicity for the airport operator & the airport industry in general.

Stobart may well have to do what other operators have done in their own locales & purchase the properties...cheaper than litigation & portrays mindfulness & being a good neighbour.

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2019, 20:17
Whatever the rights and wrongs - the airport operator should have seen this coming (like the queues on a Bank Holiday) :eek:

LTNman
23rd Apr 2019, 20:52
Yes they have no reason to complain with aircraft at the holding point waiting for several minutes with their engines facing homes just metres away. Any other UK airports like this? Don't think so!

Being serous for just a minute this isn't a great location for an airport but one day if the airport got really busy no doubt compulsory purchase orders would be served to get rid of those house for a parallel taxiway. The right thing to do is to offer those homes market value now, if they don't want to move then their complaint will be diminished.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8eeEQQ.jpg

N707ZS
23rd Apr 2019, 21:44
Not in my back yard! Who was there first. Sure Viscounts would have been more noisy.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Apr 2019, 21:46
I’d pay her market value for that garden. Hell, I’d pay her conveyancing and moving fees too!

Rather than the fun killer she claims, I’d have thought a close encounter with an A320 would be a party piece at one of her legendary barbecues

southender
24th Apr 2019, 07:26
Looking at LTNman’s photo, it would seem that an obvious short term solution would be to hold aircraft at the earlier hold opposite Seawing’s apron rather than at the back of the Wells Avenue properties.

Planespeaking
24th Apr 2019, 07:40
I’d pay her market value for that garden. Hell, I’d pay her conveyancing and moving fees too!

Rather than the fun killer she claims, I’d have thought a close encounter with an A320 would be a party piece at one of her legendary barbecues
I should imagine there is more smoke and smell from her barbeques than ever there is from the odd B738 or A320!!

Expressflight
24th Apr 2019, 07:45
Looking at LTNman’s photo, it would seem that an obvious short term solution would be to hold aircraft at the earlier hold opposite Seawing’s apron rather than at the back of the Wells Avenue properties.

The Charlie holding points have changed since that photo was taken. Charlie 1 is now further East than shown and is located at the point where the disused road joins the taxiway. Charlie 2 is now located a further 200m East, at the point where the taxiway joins the main apron (not shown on LTNman's photo).

NickBarnes
24th Apr 2019, 08:03
Very interesting as LTNman's photos shows my parents old house the one located right at the very corner closest to the runway, they had that home until around the early 90's I believe, so a little while ago now, as we know Southend wasn't busy then, but there was still some movements and noise, but as they said what did you expect you live right by an airport!! They have said when you buy a property by an airport there may be a chance it expands and grows even back then they didn't know what might be round the corner, if all of a sunden it got busier they said you would have to accept it. It's the risk when you buy by an airport. I remember their cat was called pussy pilot as he used to enjoy going over the fence and onto the airfield most days ;).

shamrock7seal
24th Apr 2019, 08:09
R.I.P pussy pilot

I agree with the posts above that the best course of action would be to buy out most of that Wells Avenue but that is a seriously costly venture. If the airport is going up to 10mppa then massive amounts of land will be required for additional car-parking and ramp/terminal space. Maybe even new access roads?BRS is currently at 9mppa and thats with 27 based aircraft including 17 easyJet and 4 Ryanair aircraft... What is the ramp capable to handling at the moment?

NickBarnes
24th Apr 2019, 08:18
R.I.P pussy pilot

I agree with the posts above that the best course of action would be to buy out most of that Wells Avenue but that is a seriously costly venture. If the airport is going up to 10mppa then massive amounts of land will be required for additional car-parking and ramp/terminal space. Maybe even new access roads?BRS is currently at 9mppa and thats with 27 based aircraft including 17 easyJet and 4 Ryanair aircraft... What is the ramp capable to handling at the moment?

Not sure the Cat would of been so keen with a Ryanair 737 coming towards him :p

My parents always thought that road along with avro road would be bought out one day to make room for the airport, as they said it's not nice if you have to leave the home you have worked hard on, but it's another risk being so close to an airport, they chose to sell up long ago to avoid that happening into the future. If there was a guarantee that wouldn't happen they would have probably stayed.

southside bobby
24th Apr 2019, 11:27
"Smoke & smell from her barbeques"...whilst a comedic quip it is not however the "story" that is now being featured/syndicated by all news platforms inc BBC/Sky today.

Sky lead with "The lady claims she was asked by the airport to stop complaining about the noise to a forum on it`s website".

Therein lies the media problem for Stobart as though one or two here claim there is a reasoning backstory obviously the media are choosing not to unpack the situation then to their readers.

As we know people believe everything newspapers & media disseminate.

BTW there are more neighbours complaining than the one family the media/the original story have obviously chosen to feature.

Apart from Stobart apologists perhaps the airport operator it`s self should try recover their own credentials & industry reputation by sensible engagement as the aside that "the site has been an airfield since 1914" doesn`t quite cut it.

The environmental lobby is daily becoming stronger.

LTNman
24th Apr 2019, 11:39
The obvious thing for the airport to do is to take sound measurements from the garden which no doubt they would be reluctant to do. Luton is no different, they take noise readings 6.5km from the end of the runway. If airport employees were working in her garden they would be mandated by law to wear ear defenders if the noise levels reached 85dB. So what is the noise level there? The truth is I would think they have no idea and don't want to know either.

Expressflight
24th Apr 2019, 13:02
Therein lies the media problem for Stobart as though one or two here claim there is a reasoning backstory obviously the media are choosing not to unpack the situation then to their reader

You amaze me. There I was thinking the media were meticulous in such matters. Although it's a cliche to say 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' there is an element of truth in that phrase and the public's awareness of SEN as a LON airport option will have increased greatly. That will remain long after any sympathy for the complainants has faded from their collective memory.

SARF
24th Apr 2019, 13:08
Lol. People believe everything the media and papers say.. haha next you will be saying they believe politicians.
‘If they have a case. Take it to court n good luck to them. If not, who cares what they say.. will all be last weeks news next week .. maybe donate them some ear defenders if the news about it worries anyone too much

southside bobby
24th Apr 2019, 13:23
The "bad publicity" I am alluding too concerns bringing airfield ops & the airline industry into even more disrepute with lobbyists & will eventually lead to more effects detrimental to air transport.

The point I make is that it would cost nothing today at least for Stobart to show some mindfulness to their neighbours with a media savvy statement as they appear to be rather the bully & perhaps to show some respect to the industry they have chosen to be part of.

asdf1234
24th Apr 2019, 14:37
The "bad publicity" I am alluding too concerns bringing airfield ops & the airline industry into even more disrepute with lobbyists & will eventually lead to more effects detrimental to air transport.

The point I make is that it would cost nothing today at least for Stobart to show some mindfulness to their neighbours with a media savvy statement as they appear to be rather the bully & perhaps to show some respect to the industry they have chosen to be part of.
Apparently the lunchtime news carried the story .I had a relative call to ask if I had seen "how the airport is treating the poor residents at Southend Airport?"

If nothing else it's a PR disaster that could have so easily been avoided .

Planespeaking
24th Apr 2019, 14:49
Apparently the lunchtime news carried the story .I had a relative call to ask if I had seen "how the airport is treating the poor residents at Southend Airport?"

If nothing else it's a PR disaster that could have so easily been avoided .
It is not a PR disaster, it's today's news that tomorrow's chips will be wrapped in! However the airport must get on the front foot, pull the Charlie holding points back in front of the hangers so the noise is blocked from the residents then in due course re-align the taxiway. Also the prevailing wind for the last 10 days has favoured 05 for take off, they are now using 23 so perhaps some of the immediate pressure will be removed.

SWBKCB
24th Apr 2019, 15:10
The question really is why nobody saw this coming and put mitigation in place before it's national news - arrogance or plain old p*ss poor planning?

Expressflight
24th Apr 2019, 16:12
The question really is why nobody saw this coming and put mitigation in place before it's national news - arrogance or plain old p*ss poor planning?

I don't really see why anyone should have seen this coming.

Taxiway Charlie is where it always was and serves exactly the same purpose as previously. What did happen was that at some point after EZY established a base at SEN Taxiway Charlie suffered stability problems such that the A319s couldn't use it, but all other traffic continued to do so as far as I know. I wish I could find a date for this but cannot unfortunately. From my researches between June and August 2017 Charlie was rebuilt and reconfigured with a smoother curve and by mid November 2017 it was back in full service following installation of centreline lighting. So for the past 18 months it has been used by all air traffic, which in 2018 included 4 x A319/320 and 3 x E195 based aircraft. From April 2019 this has changed to 4 x A319/320 and 3 x B738 as far as based jet aircraft are concerned; so not very much different with just 3 x B738 being substituted for the 3 x E195 no longer SEN-based. Has this made such a difference to the noise nuisance in question? If so, why has it? These are the facts of the matter and I don't quite see why it should have been obvious to SEN management that this storm was about to break. Suggestions please.

I am somewhat surprised why a SEN spokesman hasn't said something on these lines though as it would, to some extent, nullify the wilder accusations/assumptions being made in the Press.

SWBKCB
24th Apr 2019, 16:41
I am somewhat surprised why a SEN spokesman hasn't said something on these lines though as it would, to some extent, nullify the wilder accusations/assumptions being made in the Press.

Sorry, but that's on a par with saying "we've been here since 1914" or "We have recorded and investigated over 430 individual complaints and found that in every case, the aircraft concerned was operating normally, legitimately and within the Airports operating framework". Pathetic - has nobody ever looked at a map and gone "Hmm, that's a bit near - maybe we should do something about it..." or gone "430 complaints - that's rather a lot..."

The fact that the stink hasn't hit till now doesn't make it any less of of a stink.

southside bobby
24th Apr 2019, 16:48
Getting a bit late now reached Ireland & now the US East Coast.

New York Post lead with the headline "Noisy smelly airport".

Ah well as stated no such thing as bad publicity.

As with the security issues one can only assume SEN management have been on their Easter break.

Expressflight
24th Apr 2019, 17:46
SWBKCB

It's not at all on a par with the statements you quoted, neither of which attempted to put the facts of the situation over the past few years into the public domain.

SWBKCB
24th Apr 2019, 17:59
You're missing my point. The horse has bolted, any thing that is said now, no matter how sensible or reasonable is pointless - it is just shutting the stable door.

The door should never have been left open in the first place.

SARF
24th Apr 2019, 19:16
No one will give a c..p by the weekend.. noisy smelly airport ? Well if you know one that isn’t I’ll be guessing it’s shut

DC3 Dave
24th Apr 2019, 19:35
The door should never have been left open in the first place.

How, exactly, could have this been prevented?

SEN is not the only airport that its local residents object to by any means. Drew Primary School in Docklands is situated around 150m from the stands at LCY. They claim their kids are affected by the air quality. Don't forget LHR. When the 3rd runway works commence Boris will be laying in the path of the bulldozers on behalf of all the great unwashed.

Note to Expressflight: I post from the basement of Dakota Lodge, in my hair shirt, whipping my thighs in a repentant act of self-flagellation. How could I ever have doubted you?

mikkie4
24th Apr 2019, 21:33
wonder how much the newspapers paid for her non story?

southside bobby
25th Apr 2019, 06:01
The local newspaper that is publishing the features now has a follow up & in another cheque book waving exercise according to the above post has interviews now with more residents all with very similar tales of how they are affected.

Funnily enough in the very same edition the local rag is carrying the Business Park development story which appears to be written in a very positive manner so perhaps no agenda on their behalf as alluded.

Totally totally shocked that it could be assumed newspapers might pay for stories.

It is though a nice little earner for the local paper in syndicating their copy around the world.

If it gets movement from local politicians the council & the airport operator then it is effective publishing notwithstanding that failing of PR & foresight & mindfulness from Stobart.

Expressflight
25th Apr 2019, 06:49
Note to Expressflight: I post from the basement of Dakota Lodge, in my hair shirt, whipping my thighs in a repentant act of self-flagellation. How could I ever have doubted you?

Just in case people are scratching their heads, DC3 Dave, in post # 2787, 'slightly' doubted my prophesy that early and late SEN trains would appear in the Greater Anglia May timetable. I didn't doubt that he would keep his word but thank him all the same. Being totally honest I had hoped those trains would start running in early June so I was wrong on that score.

Expressflight
25th Apr 2019, 06:59
You're missing my point. The horse has bolted, any thing that is said now, no matter how sensible or reasonable is pointless - it is just shutting the stable door.

So now they should just say "No comment"? That would go down well.

If they want to defuse the situation somewhat they could make Charlie 2 (more than 200m East of Charlie 1) the holding point for aircraft queuing for a 05 departure. That would make hardly any impact on runway occupancy times but then they may not be keen to give any ground for fear of demands for more.

SWBKCB
25th Apr 2019, 07:16
Having been peripherally involved in an organisation where an issue has gone viral, SEN might find it is living with the "noisy, smelly airport" for a while - newspapers might be next weeks chip wrappings but the internet has a loooong memory.

What could have been done - my point is, looking at a map it should be obvious there was going to be an issue, so what was done?

Changes to holding points would be a start, but why wasn't it done earlier? Looking at the articles on the web, there's a chainlink fence - no earthworks or blast fence?

400 odd complaints, all get the response "the aircraft concerned was operating normally, legitimately and within the Airports operating framework" and nobody spots a problem?

they may not be keen to give any ground for fear of demands for more.

The airport is only going to get busier, so the problems isn't going away - somebody needs to get a grip and start managing.

Expressflight
25th Apr 2019, 07:30
Changes to holding points would be a start, but why wasn't it done earlie(sic)? Looking at the articles on the web, there's a chainlink fence - no earthworks or blast fence

A blast fence wouldn't be appropriate but an acoustic barrier would be a possibility. Mind you they would then probably complain that their view was spoilt!

SWBKCB
25th Apr 2019, 07:48
Mind you they would then probably complain that their view was spoilt!

Wonder if anybody from Stobart has googled "noisy smelly airport" this morning?

stewyb
25th Apr 2019, 07:58
The fact of the matter is the extension to the west was probably never meant to happen in the original airfield layout of years gone by and this is clearly borne out by the houses/church almost touching the runway. Homes being 40m or so from the charlie taxiway is incredibly close and surprised this was allowed to stay with plans for the expansion back in 2011. What is done is done although my recommendation would have been to relocate charlie further east of its existing location to mitigate these issues. What is clear is that any further expansion of the airport will be even more closely scrutinised and I personally don't believe the airfield has the geographical size to accommodate any further traffic, it is space limited and problems would then revolve around backtracking issues etc so the target of 10mppa is way off and likely never to happen!

Bee Rexit
25th Apr 2019, 08:00
Southend taxiway story is everywhere :-)https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/962x696/12685874_0_image_a_101_1556151172651_9fcdfa63d81cd7dda1a4b67 035bc463a16e4cdd8.jpg

stewyb
25th Apr 2019, 08:10
The fact of the matter is the extension to the west was probably never meant to happen in the original airfield layout of years gone by and this is clearly borne out by the houses/church almost touching the runway. Homes being 40m or so from the charlie taxiway is incredibly close and surprised this was allowed to stay with plans for the expansion back in 2011. What is done is done although my recommendation would have been to relocate charlie further east of its existing location to mitigate these issues. What is clear is that any further expansion of the airport will be even more closely scrutinised and I personally don't believe the airfield has the geographical size to accommodate any further traffic, it is space limited and problems would then revolve around backtracking issues etc so the target of 10mppa is way off and likely never to happen!

To improve the situation could Stobart not take out the bend in charlie and re-position it straight to runway entrance, this would at least double the distance from homes to taxiway?

shamrock7seal
25th Apr 2019, 08:29
This is no PR disaster, the airport name and Ryanair images are being emblazoned inside the minds of the the entire UK population. This is worth millions in awareness building.

Secondly there is little 'real' sympathy to anyone living SO close to an airport.

Red Four
25th Apr 2019, 08:40
Shamrock7seal: Got it in one! But the knockers love it because they can bury the good news about the extra early/late train, a previous point to knock the airport on.

bad bear
25th Apr 2019, 08:46
I do have sympathy for the families. living next to a sleepy airport that got planning to expand and re opening a taxiway that leaves them with serious noise blight is a very bad break and morally needs to be put right either by discontinuing the use of the offending taxiway, providing noise bunds or offering to purchase the property at a price that covers the complete costs associated with the move.

bb

Planespeaking
25th Apr 2019, 09:03
I do have sympathy for the families. living next to a sleepy airport that got planning to expand and re opening a taxiway that leaves them with serious noise blight is a very bad break and morally needs to be put right either by discontinuing the use of the offending taxiway, providing noise bunds or offering to purchase the property at a price that covers the complete costs associated with the move.

bb
The airport began modernising 10 years ago and the major complainants moved next to it seven years ago. The taxiway in question was built in the mid 50s along with the runway, and in the 60s SEN was the third busiest airport in the country with far more movements than today.

I'm afraid I don't have sympathy with those residents, it was their choice to move within yards of the boundary of a fully licensed commercial airport. It's not rocket science.

DC3 Dave
25th Apr 2019, 09:44
Does anyone believe there are people out there, about to book their next flight to the Costas, who will be inclined to rule out Southend Airport because of the recent publicity?

It's all the other matters usually debated here, such as queues through security, transport links, destinations and times will be the factors that influence choice.

​​​​​​
​​​​​

Planespeaking
25th Apr 2019, 09:48
Does anyone believe there are people out there about to book their next flight to the Costas, who will be inclined to rule out Southend Airport because of the publicity?

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Of course not. The other point is that these residents possibly bought their properties at a discount because of the location.

southside bobby
25th Apr 2019, 11:35
No one here should have to explain/defend the SEN position that should be the responsibility of the airport operator.That they have not is the reason for virtually all the comment & continued comment here.

It does not perhaps stop people booking but in future it might hamper the numbers & volume of flights on offer now the affair is out in the open & politicians councils & lobbyists may feel able to hijack the agenda.

SWBKCB
25th Apr 2019, 11:38
My concern would be around the management approach - this episode smacks of some of the goings on at Carlisle.

Barling Magna
25th Apr 2019, 12:26
No one here should have to explain/defend the SEN position that should be the responsibility of the airport operator.That they have not is the reason for virtually all the comment & continued comment here.

It does not perhaps stop people booking but in future it might hamper the numbers & volume of flights on offer now the affair is out in the open & politicians councils & lobbyists may feel able to hijack the agenda.

I think your post is correct on all counts.

LTNman
25th Apr 2019, 13:44

They could do what Luton did for its engine run up bay. Just install a blast fence with a noise deflecting mound behind it so the hill doesn't get blown away. Its called mitigation and so far Stobart has attempted nothing apart from telling locals at quarterly meetings why they are doing nothing.
https://i.imgur.com/8EFZsRD.jpg

Planespeaking
25th Apr 2019, 13:49
They could do what Luton did for its engine run up bay. Just install a blast fence with a noise deflecting mound behind it.
https://i.imgur.com/8EFZsRD.jpg
Exactly LTNman there is a way round any problem. Stobart have to show they are listening and acting, it's good PR.

mik3bravo
25th Apr 2019, 21:34
Does anyone believe there are people out there, about to book their next flight to the Costas, who will be inclined to rule out Southend Airport because of the recent publicity?

It's all the other matters usually debated here, such as queues through security, transport links, destinations and times will be the factors that influence choice.

​​​​​​
​​​​​
I'm going to use SEN despite the blip at Easter peak which I put down as teething issue as they adjusted to dealing with the Ryanair phenomenon. As regards the alleged noise on Charlie - honestly, I couldn't care less. I use SEN cause it's convenient and in the main it just works fairly well. Passengers tend not to get emotionally attached to these things. It's all about airfare competitiveness and speed of transitioning through the airport and push back from stand on time.

mik3bravo
25th Apr 2019, 21:38
Of course not. The other point is that these residents possibly bought their properties at a discount because of the location.

Funny thing is, there are people out there who would jump at the opportunity to buy that house for the very reason the present occupants want out. It's a funny aul world really.

stewyb
25th Apr 2019, 22:31
Funny thing is, there are people out there who would jump at the opportunity to buy that house for the very reason the present occupants want out. It's a funny aul world really.

mad about planes but also enjoy the piece and quiet of my garden, a week or two of that would drive me insane, each to their own I guess!

SARF
25th Apr 2019, 23:39
Don’t buy it then.. as for ltnmans picture. What is that protecting. Is there a nursery school behind the bank.. or maybe a badger and newt sanctuary

LTNman
26th Apr 2019, 04:50
As regards the alleged noise on Charlie - honestly, I couldn't care less. I use SEN cause it's convenient and in the main it just works fairly well. Passengers tend not to get emotionally attached to these things. It's all about airfare competitiveness and speed of transitioning through the airport and push back from stand on time.

What do you mean alleged, do you think aircraft are silent? Like most people if something doesn't affect them then why should they care so this story will have zero impact on passenger numbers as they will all have the same attitude as mik3bravo.

stewyb wrote
as for ltnmans picture. What is that protecting. Is there a nursery school behind the bank.. or maybe a badger and newt sanctuary

It is supposed to reduce noise for residents the closest who live a good half a mile way and not a garden length way. The reason the story has hit the press is that a photo paints a thousand words and to the casual observer Stobarts attitude stinks. So they talk to residents every 3 months and say what? As I have stated I would think those noise levels would be illegal for workers if they did not wear ear defenders, certainly for a little less noise ear defenders would have to be offered.

Oh and actually there are badgers and newts within 300m of the runup bay but that is another story.

Expressflight
26th Apr 2019, 06:56
I usually have a lot of respect for LTNman's posts but there seems a sense of double standards creeping in over the last few days. Looking through his posts for March 2018, when it became clear that LTN would be very restricted in its overnight movements for S2018, there was no sense of it being good news for residents. Indeed he focused on LTN becoming "an 18 hour airport for bizjets" and his tone was that this was a bad thing: "ironic in the year the airport gets a capacity boost it finds itself having to turn business away". Someone at that time posted "according to the BBC, noise complaints are up 800% at LTN" to which his response was "most of the complaints come from a handful of people" - not much sympathy shown there.

As far as his use of the engine run bay blast walls/banking at LTN as a fair comparison with an aircraft at SEN idling on a taxiway waiting for line-up is concerned, well the noise levels being mitigated are hardly of the same magnitude.

LTNman
26th Apr 2019, 07:18
If that is how I came across then that is my error. I for one will be objecting to the planning application extending the noise footprint for Luton which would allow 24/7 bis jet movements to return next summer. I also object to the planned doubling of aircraft movements by expanding the airport so there is no double standards. Most airports including Luton and Southend hold noise meetings but do very little apart from talk. Power to the people, I am pro Luton but sometimes a line has to be drawn in the sand when they start taking the p!ss.

SWBKCB
26th Apr 2019, 07:41
Plenty of comments about the residents should know that airports are noisy - conversally, Stobart knew the residents were there and that their plans were going to increase noise levels.

What did they do about it?

As far as his use of the engine run bay blast walls/banking at LTN as a fair comparison with an aircraft at SEN idling on a taxiway waiting for line-up is concerned, well the noise levels being mitigated are hardly of the same magnitude.

That's no reason for doing nothing - what mitigation does a chainlink fence provide?

southside bobby
26th Apr 2019, 07:51
All have now made their opinions quite clear & these will not change.However all the words here will not eliminate the basic problem that clearly exists on the ground at SEN & generally around other airports.

It is quite evident that some airport operators whilst going for maximum growth have tougher regimes in place to mitigate impacts on populations than others.

The regimes imposed are sometimes national for instance the DFT strictly control noise generation at the three LON majors of LHR/LGW & STN.

Whether due to history (the growth of Council controlled airports not anticipated back in the day) or other factors is unclear.What is clear is that Council controlled dromes are it appears "pushing it" & perhaps posters should be more careful what they wish for when only hoping their Airbus to the sun will be filled rather than contemplate consequences for your neighbours.

Some airports have arrived at their own mitigation decisions too by acknowledging that they have to be good neighbours to achieve the growth & have put many such measures into place voluntarily.

Now even more so with all manner of lobbyists growing stronger by the day (the chief spokesperson for the Extinction Rebellion with airtime on BBC wants to end flying in five years time! extreme I realize) but even so warnings are there.

Frankly SEN it seems has to start showing some empathy & mindfulness towards local populations & engage certainly with the chequebook.

Quick note for Expressflight...I admire your debating posts but perhaps trying too hard now.To suggest an Airbus/Boeing even at "idle" is of no magnitude reflects no credit on the poster.

Have you actually listened to the video that has played around the world.

LTNman
26th Apr 2019, 07:55
Well SWBKCB and Southside bobby comments has hit the nail on the head. This has nothing to do with being being pro or anti airport but Stobart has to recognise that its activities affect peoples lives particularly as its airport is just metres away from housing. It is clear that Stobart has invested millions but seems to have spend nothing on noise mitigation. What has got me going is the comments that they operate within permitted levels. So that makes it alright then so they can just walk away and do nothing.

Expressflight
26th Apr 2019, 08:13
Plenty of comments about the residents should know that airports are noisy - conversally, Stobart knew the residents were there and that their plans were going to increase noise levels. What did they do about it?
That's no reason for doing nothing - what mitigation does a chainlink fence provide?

I agree with both your points. What I think they should do in the immediate future is use Charlie 2 as the holding point for 05 departures rather than Charlie 1. They should then offer the affected residents a noise attenuation wall between them and Charlie (as it seems to be the taxiway which causes them most annoyance, not the runway itself).

There has been a lot of criticism here on the lines of 'why didn't SEN see this problem coming'. I think the answer is threefold:
1) Taxiway Charlie had been largely out of use from perhaps 2015 to 2017 (I don't know the exact time frame) but by November 2017 had been rebuilt (but not re-aligned) and was in use by all traffic. Last year this comprised jet traffic of 4 x A319/320 and 3 x E195 so the 'annoyance' level rose considerably.
2) Runway 05 became, unusually, the prevailing departure runway during late Winter/early Spring this year due to the weather pattern, so the noise became more noticeable.
3) At the start of April the three RYR B738s arrived and no doubt their engine note on the taxiway is slightly different (maybe louder I don't know), further increasing the noise nuisance levels.
Maybe someone at SEN should have realised the effect of 2) and explained it to the residents and they certainly should have carried out some noise monitoring to see if the RYR presence at SEN made a noticeable difference to noise levels and, perhaps more importantly, noise level perception.

I do have personal experience of measuring aircraft noise levels and prior to the introduction of the A319 at SEN I travelled to Jersey and made recordings on the beach to replicate the height above Bridgwater Drive (a critical noise location in Southend) for aircraft landing on 06 at SEN. These recordings were offered to the main noise lobbying body at SEN but they declined the offer!

DC3 Dave
26th Apr 2019, 08:31
If you use this link to the airport's website you will find minutes available from quarterly meetings between the airport and local politicians regarding a range of community matters including noise.

I think it shows that the airport does engage, but as has been reported in the press, there is a view from the management that people should be content provided it is explained to them that airport operates within permitted limits.

https://southendairport.com/corporate-and-community/noise#faqs

Go to Community Reporting for the minutes.

SWBKCB
26th Apr 2019, 08:52
there is a view from the management that people should be content provided it is explained to them that airport operates within permitted limits.

Stobarts response to this issue just exudes complacency.

southside bobby
26th Apr 2019, 12:53
To celebrate the NQY service Southend Airport is installing a "giant surf simulator" on the lawn in front of the Terminal for a few hours on the day itself 2.5.19.

Cornish wine tasting with cream teas to be handed out within the Terminal to passengers & visitors on the day.

Wycombe
26th Apr 2019, 14:08
To celebrate the NQY service Southend Airport is installing a "giant surf simulator" on the lawn in front of the Terminal for a few hours on the day itself 2.5.19.

Fairly sure that SEN to NQY has already started? Or is that when it goes daily?

Expressflight
26th Apr 2019, 14:35
Quick note for Expressflight...I admire your debating posts but perhaps trying too hard now.To suggest an Airbus/Boeing even at "idle" is of no magnitude reflects no credit on the poster.
Have you actually listened to the video that has played around the world.

What LTNman suggested was that "They could do what Luton did for the engine run up bay. Just install a blast fence with a noise deflecting mound behind it."
My intention was to suggest that nothing that drastic was required for a taxiway. Perhaps I should have said then, rather than just in a later post, that a noise attenuation wall could be suggested "as the noise levels being mitigated are hardly of the same magnitude (as run up bay levels)" - as I'm sure you would agree is the reality. I'm sorry if it came across as belittling the noise level of a taxiing aircraft - that was not my intention.

All I would say about the volume of the video is that if you play back an audio track at a level higher than that at which it was recorded, it will sound louder than was experienced in reality. Who knows if the recorded level was even known by the media.

southside bobby
26th Apr 2019, 17:39
But again here some head burying in the sand I fear with the added comfort of differing degrees of slicing the real problem.

The Independent`s strap today is "The Southend Airport Runway that`s fringed by gardens"

The Travel correspondent there Simon Calder (yes I know everybody`s favourite) has even so raised interesting points by stating that "Janet Marchant`s misery is a consequence of aviation paralysis" (in this country) basically with demand exceeding suitably planned development to the detriment of all.

He writes...it may be that the travelling public in London & the Southeast collectively decides to fly less or the Government increases taxes to dampen demand for aviation.

It is written already as a consequence of the SEN story beamed around the world & written actually by a travel writer whose job is err travel !.

Have mentioned previously this "story" could actually benefit no one in the industry if it is hijacked by others who are gaining influence with age groups & outlooks different to ours.

Stobart have decided to enter the industry but should be a guardian for it too & a mindful neighbour.

There is a little Swedish girl travelling around Europe meeting with large numbers of leaders & decision makers by train! eschewing air travel with an audience of many millions of younger people.

DC3 Dave
26th Apr 2019, 17:55
Have mentioned previously this "story" could actually benefit no one in the industry if it is hijacked by others who are gaining influence with age groups & outlooks different to ours.

Stobart have decided to enter the industry but should be a guardian for it too & a mindful neighbour.

There is a little Swedish girl travelling around Europe meeting with large numbers of leaders & decision makers by train! eschewing air travel with an audience of many millions of younger people.
​​​​​​
Indeed, there's also Emma Thompson who flew 5,400 miles to address climate change protesters (but that's ok because she plants trees to offset her carbon footprint).

Southend airport does have a scheme to purchase properties affected by excess aircraft noise. Previously, they identified 5 properties that may be affected. But in their latest noise report they state that none are (I believe because the airport has coughed up for triple glazing etc.) I don't mind if Stobart dig their heels in over this, but they need to be aware - as I believe SS is saying - future governments support of air travel may start to wobble if these protest groups have any influence on mainstream thinking and voting intentions.

southside bobby
26th Apr 2019, 18:24
Lol...Good point out re Ms Thompson but that point does not detract from the access provided to the little Swedish girl with HER audience.

Anyways...Pretty incredulous SEN has zero properties earmarked for purchase.

Regarding a "wobble" from Government & with no one even politically savy able to call where the cards could fall in Local/European or a UK General Election then a wobble with a capital W may well be the end result.

When the Lib Dems entered coalition previously one demand & accepted was that all airport expansion were to be taken off the table.

Before that General Election many airports had ambitious expansion plans even with added runways.

A day at the polling booths changed pretty much an industry outlook.

davidjohnson6
27th Apr 2019, 10:38
Been having a look at fares on Ryanair to/from Southend. Routes to Brest and Kosice amongst others seem rather low - either the same price as APD or cheaper. I know 10 years ago Ryanair used to offer fares for 1 pound to stimulate demand on a regular basis but this tends to be much less common in 2019. I'm wondering if Ryanair are finding demand on some routes out of Southend is significantly lower than initial expectations... along with the implications for these routes after October 2019

AirportPlanner1
27th Apr 2019, 15:54
I looked at DUB for next weekend yesterday (too expensive, which is good I guess!) and saw this coming Tuesday was £20 return which isn’t so good at such short notice

Planespeaking
27th Apr 2019, 16:00
I looked at DUB for next weekend yesterday (too expensive, which is good I guess!) and saw this coming Tuesday was £20 return which isn’t so good at such short notice
Anecdotal reports are that the FR load factors on most routes are good, however it's not just bums but yields that matter, so time will tell once the numbers have been crunched.

mik3bravo
28th Apr 2019, 13:04
For what it's worth, and only anecdotal evidence from my personal observations - I've flown 3 times on the new FR services from SEN, generally around 90% of cabin was full.

Hardly any empty seats really.

SARF
28th Apr 2019, 19:11
Looking forward to all the Sen drive planes over my garden news this week. ..
er or maybe no one will care again .. best ship in a Nordic teenager

SARF
28th Apr 2019, 19:12
By train of course, now she can get there early on the new service

southside bobby
29th Apr 2019, 12:22
Now now SARF is just being plain greedy SEN had all the all unwanted attention from the Nation`s media last week!

southside bobby
29th Apr 2019, 12:33
It appears JC is influenced more by the little Swedish girl though than brave words on here as after meeting her last week Labour are now calling for a Climate Emergency to be declared.

southside bobby
29th Apr 2019, 19:02
Stobart aim to hit 2.5m pax total this year.
Target 5m in 2023.
Record 8000 pax on one day this year.

mik3bravo
29th Apr 2019, 19:43
Target 5m in 2023.
What date was that 8k hit? Wasn't Good Friday by any chance?

aurigny72
29th Apr 2019, 19:46
Target 5m in 2023.
I cant see how they are going to hit 5m by 2023 unless a terminal 2 is built somewhere else on the airfield, the present terminal is not coping very well at the moment at peak times and there are only 10 aircraft stands, there are a few more northside but these would require a bus transfer. There was supposed to be small extensions to both ends of the terminal to make a bigger arrivals area including baggage reclaim and passport control/customs, also more departure gates. A lot of people thought that these would all be in place by the time Ryanair started ops but alas no sign of any work on the extension so far as i know.

mik3bravo
29th Apr 2019, 19:50
Like your thinking... a new Terminal North, and the existing as Terminal South :ok:

stewyb
29th Apr 2019, 20:20
Like your thinking... a new Terminal North, and the existing as Terminal South :ok:

Grand designs for sure. 5mppa is a long way off and with limititations airside due to a smallish land footprint, specifically at the 06 end with houses and a church being restrictive, this will unlikely be achieved. The airport has done a great job in attracting EZY/RYR and will add further destinations but will need a huge amount of additional infrastructure to hit those heady passenger targets. This not withstanding environmental and political concerns surrounding further growth that we have already had a flavour of this week with Charlie taxiway and the locals and the airport will be headed for a long drawn out and expensive legal battle!

Tagron
29th Apr 2019, 22:15
There is actually plenty of spare capacity at SEN at present. Scheduled commercial movements at the 2019 summer peak are likely to be no more than 70-75 per day spread over the 17 hour scheduling period. They need to fill in some of the big activity gaps such as the 0800-1000 block. which probably.will have to be achieved with non-based aircraft. This could prove more difficult than attracting additional based units. The new Loganair routes are a step in the right direction though the volume may be small.

The airport already has planning permission for the terminal extension. As noted above surprise has been expressed that it was not completed in time for the arrival of Ryanair. There is space for six or so extra stands on the north apron. There always used to be stands on the north apron before the reconstruction work of two years ago so I would have thought that stands could be implemented as a permitted development, i.e. without the need for planning consent. Or they could "borrow" a couple of stands from the Stobart Jet Centre. They would need to accept a coaching operation but having done that there is scope for expanding the based fleet without undue difficulty. Provided of course they can manage the terminal issues with the early morning wave of departures rather better than they achieved on Good Friday.

In short the building blocks are already in place for a potentially significant increase in passenger numbers without the need to run the gauntlet of the planning system

LTNman
29th Apr 2019, 22:20
Sometimes more is less. What made Southend beautiful is being lost. It’s the nature of the business to sweat the assets which will no doubt be supported here as the queues lengthen and the airport loses some of its appeal.

Much has been written here from supporters about the pride of being the UK’s favourite airport but I would think most would prefer a terrible experience and queues out the door just for an ever increasing amount of passengers as though that really matters. It is all about a balance between what passengers expect and what Southend can deliver. That message might well fall on deaf ears.

Bee Rexit
30th Apr 2019, 08:37
More social media reports of terrible early morning queues and missed flights this morning due to the security fiasco at SEN. Stobart have really dropped the ball on this - Edit - Fiasco might be too harsh a word - but it is now taking 45 mins to get through security which I think is catching a lot of passengers out after having a number of years of relatively quick and easy flow.

fatmed
30th Apr 2019, 08:58
What I would like to know is if anyone has missed a flight that arrived at least 2 hours before their scheduled departure time? Prior to RYR arriving it would be fine to arrive 60-90 prior and have no problems. This will be the new normal now (as per other airports across the world) and that is different to how it used to be at SEN. Stobart of course used to sing about the efficiency of SEN as it was under utilised and was a great USP (of course they would, as they were trying to attract new airlines/customers. They will now have to either invest heavily to keep those standards (I doubt they will) or accept that it is the same as the other players and sell the merits of the place based on other things. What now differentiates Sen from other airports is not as clear as it once was.

Stobart will be happy as it means more return on their investment.

DC3 Dave
30th Apr 2019, 09:44
More social media reports of terrible early morning queues and missed flights this morning due to the security fiasco at SEN. Stobart have really dropped the ball on this - Edit - Fiasco might be too harsh a word - but it is now taking 45 mins to get through security which I think is catching a lot of passengers out after having a number of years of relatively quick and easy flow.

Any more detail available on these reports? All aircraft so far this morning pushed back early, which would suggest that cases were not having to be found and removed. That would only leave those with carry on bags, and just how much time did they give themselves to get through security?

But, there's no denying there's an issue here. Glyn Jones has always insisted the airport had every intention of maintaing the breeze (6 minutes maximum) through security. Right now that sounds like a promise from Pinocchio.

AirportPlanner1
30th Apr 2019, 09:59
Prior to RYR arriving it would be fine to arrive 60-90 prior and have no problems.

I used to pitch up just 35 mins before for the 06:30 departure

DC3 Dave
30th Apr 2019, 10:59
A nice positive bit of PR, but let's hope they get on top of the security bottleneck issue quickly.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17607117.southend-airport-easy-jet-routes-set-for-busiest-ever-summer/

If you're really bored, spot the missing destination.

Expressflight
30th Apr 2019, 11:06
EDIT: In light of information received that the maximum queuing time at Security this morning was 11 minutes I've deleted my post as it seems the information I based it on (45 minute queues) was not correct.

stewyb
30th Apr 2019, 11:54
Passenger traffic has grown too quickly for infrastructure and facilities in place, this is now becoming clear and the airport is struggling to clear through security 500ish travellers per hour, that’s roughly x 3 A320/737. As mentioned previous, the arrival of RYR has had a huge impact and just maybe Stobart’s eyes were too big for their bellies and unless a quick fix is put in place (at a substantial cost no doubt), the reputation that SEN has proudly built up will diminish rapidly!

Expressflight
30th Apr 2019, 11:54

Despite what I just wrote, which was largely based on the above post, I just been informed that the Security queue peaked at 11 minutes this morning! How could an 11 minute wait cause "terrible early morning queues and missed flights" etc.?

asdf1234
30th Apr 2019, 11:58
There is no excuse whatever for SEN management presiding over this shameful performance. I was assured a week ago that the immediate problems had been dealt with and normal service had been resumed, but that some longer term fixes were needed to make it sustainable in the longer term. Fair enough - if it had happened, which it obviously hasn't. Yes, some people did miss their flights this morning - one IBZ passenger was sent to STN she says. I know the Head of Security left recently so maybe things haven't been going well for a time but they just seem to have got worse.

I used SEN within the past week for an afternoon departure .hardly any pax in the security hall (I'm guessing 50) but took 18 minutes to get through due to over-sensitive security screening. I travel extensively on an almost weekly basis .Never before have I had to repack my liquids bag from my zip up see through 1 litre travel approved bag to a zip lock bag. When I asked why I was told all liquids must be in an airtight bag (why? - to stop the machine smelling the explosives???) . Then shoes off and back through the machine after I was told to keep them on .This the same pair of shoes that happily go through Gatwick and untold other airport scanners without a murmur .Then my bag got pulled for inspection. Why? Apparently a laptop charger and USB cables are cause for concern .Whilst waiving those items aside they did a precautionary check on my sealed liquids bag.

I tried the lounge again after noticing it had expanded into the old bar of yesteryear. My advice - don't! Still as awful as the last time I visited.

SEN Observer
30th Apr 2019, 12:55
A nice positive bit of PR, but let's hope they get on top of the security bottleneck issue quickly.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17607117.southend-airport-easy-jet-routes-set-for-busiest-ever-summer/

If you're really bored, spot the missing destination.

Not bored but the missing destination is Carlisle. There is, however, a very big advert for it on the wall at the departures end of the terminal so who knows?

Re the extensions to the terminal, the area between the control tower and the terminal was levelled some months ago but nothing seems to have happened at that end since. At the other end, departures, a lot of electric cable work has been done and the closure of the paved way to the terminal resulted. This Only opened again a few days before the arrival of Ryanair.

Expressflight..... any idea what's happening? I have great respect for your contributions and would be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Expressflight
30th Apr 2019, 13:44
Passenger traffic has grown too quickly for infrastructure and facilities in place, this is now becoming clear and the airport is struggling to clear through security 500ish travellers per hour, that’s roughly x 3 A320/737. As mentioned previous, the arrival of RYR has had a huge impact and just maybe Stobart’s eyes were too big for their bellies and unless a quick fix is put in place (at a substantial cost no doubt), the reputation that SEN has proudly built up will diminish rapidly!

The reality is that last year's 3 x E195 first wave departures have simply been replaced by 3 x B738 departures so not a huge increase in pax numbers as is being suggested.

LTNman
30th Apr 2019, 13:51

Expressflight..... any idea what's happening? I have great respect for your contributions and would be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Should be quite easy to work out.

1/ Lack of staff
2/ Staff training
2/ Lack of lanes
3/ Faulty equipment closing a lane
4/ Inefficient outdate equipment
5/ Combination of the above.
Take your pick

11 minutes in a queue will feel like 30 minutes if the queue moves slowly.

So how many security lanes does Southend have?

Completely irrelevant but Luton now has 16 meaning an average of just over 1 million passengers per lane although for most of the time many are closed and only open at peak times so 2 lanes would cover SEN easy.

Expressflight
30th Apr 2019, 13:55
Re the extensions to the terminal, the area between the control tower and the terminal was levelled some months ago but nothing seems to have happened at that end since. At the other end, departures, a lot of electric cable work has been done and the closure of the paved way to the terminal resulted. This Only opened again a few days before the arrival of Ryanair.

I was under the impression that the Southern extension - the upgrading pax bag screening etc. - was well under way earlier this year but I haven't been there recently. Regarding the Northern terminal extension (which really is quite substantial), the planning application was changed a few months ago, probably in light of projected pax numbers, and this has delayed the start of construction somewhat. The new planning consent was granted on 17th December 2018 and the Discharge of various Conditions appertaining to the grant was due by 19th April 2019 and I don't know if that date was met. This explains why there has been no real progress on the ground so far. So no dragging of the feet by Stobart or second thoughts as has been suggested by some.

Expressflight
30th Apr 2019, 14:01
Should be quite easy to work out.

1/ Lack of staff
2/ Staff training
2/ Lack of lanes
3/ Faulty equipment closing a lane
4/ Inefficient outdate equipment
5/ Combination of the above.
Take your pick

11 minutes in a queue will feel like 30 minutes if the queue moves slowly

I think SEN Observer was asking me about the terminal extensions, not the Security queue situation so that's what I replied to.

Err, if the queue takes 11 minutes to get through Security, then it takes 11 minutes and there's no risk of you missing your flight, no matter how fast or slow it feels like.

Barling Magna
30th Apr 2019, 14:22
I remember a few years ago that getting through security in Bristol was dreadfully slow and the security staff were surly and very officious. Complaints wre made to the airport management and the situation had improved greatly by my next departure. The answer apparently was better staff training; as simple as that. Maybe the same applies at SEN?

tophat27dt
30th Apr 2019, 17:31
I remember a few years ago that getting through security in Bristol was dreadfully slow and the security staff were surly and very officious. Complaints wre made to the airport management and the situation had improved greatly by my next departure. The answer apparently was better staff training; as simple as that. Maybe the same applies at SEN?
My last flight in Early April was LUX-LCY-LUX. At both ends I encountered what I consider as petty security checks by surly staff. If they hate their jobs then leave, or are they specially trained to anger and stress passengers before their flight. In Southends case, it sounds like they need to select staff and train them better.

SEN Observer
30th Apr 2019, 17:47
I think SEN Observer was asking me about the terminal extensions, not the Security queue situation so that's what I replied to.

Err, if the queue takes 11 minutes to get through Security, then it takes 11 minutes and there's no risk of you missing your flight, no matter how fast or slow it feels like.

Thank you Expressflight. Yes, I was referring to the terminal extensions.

Planespeaking
30th Apr 2019, 17:52
My last flight in Early April was LUX-LCY-LUX. At both ends I encountered what I consider as petty security checks by surly staff. If they hate their jobs then leave, or are they specially trained to anger and stress passengers before their flight. In Southends case, it sounds like they need to select staff and train them better.
Quite right DT. SEN is growing up now and it's suffering from growing pains. Stobart need to plan ahead otherwise it will lose it's 'best of breed' award, but money is money. If EZY and FR get hacked off they will shake Stobart warmly by the throat!
It's known as commerce! Take care DT.

mik3bravo
30th Apr 2019, 20:49
I used SEN within the past week for an afternoon departure .hardly any pax in the security hall (I'm guessing 50) but took 18 minutes to get through due to over-sensitive security screening. I travel extensively on an almost weekly basis .Never before have I had to repack my liquids bag from my zip up see through 1 litre travel approved bag to a zip lock bag. When I asked why I was told all liquids must be in an airtight bag (why? - to stop the machine smelling the explosives???) . Then shoes off and back through the machine after I was told to keep them on .This the same pair of shoes that happily go through Gatwick and untold other airport scanners without a murmur .Then my bag got pulled for inspection. Why? Apparently a laptop charger and USB cables are cause for concern .Whilst waiving those items aside they did a precautionary check on my sealed liquids bag.

I tried the lounge again after noticing it had expanded into the old bar of yesteryear. My advice - don't! Still as awful as the last time I visited.

Last time I was at the security clearance area at SEN a passenger in front of me in the queue was talking to a couple in front of him and he said he actually works at Stansted on the security clearance and he said SEN is used as a training location for new security clearance personnel before they are despatched elsewhere. Of course I have nothing to support his comments other than I overheard him.saying this.

Does anyone on this chat forum have any insight into whether or this is a true comment?

I'm also a regular traveller and I share identical experiences. I use a Gate8 cabin approved bag which includes it's own regulation approved liquid clear sealed bag - only airport in the world where I'm asked to empty it and place in an airports own bag, repeatedly occurs only at SEN.

I wear regular smart laced shoes, again never been a problem at any airport body arch scanners, except at SEN, I'm constantly requested to remove and scan my shoes - no metal plates in them btw, just regular Clarks black shoes I wear in the office.

I do think this might all be part of their training environment if that's in fact part of the SEN security clearance role.

tophat27dt
30th Apr 2019, 21:18
Last time I was at the security clearance area at SEN a passenger in front of me in the queue was talking to a couple in front of him and he said he actually works at Stansted on the security clearance and he said SEN is used as a training location for new security clearance personnel before they are despatched elsewhere. Of course I have nothing to support his comments other than I overheard him.saying this.

Does anyone on this chat forum have any insight into whether or this is a true comment?

I'm also a regular traveller and I share identical experiences. I use a Gate8 cabin approved bag which includes it's own regulation approved liquid clear sealed bag - only airport in the world where I'm asked to empty it and place in an airports own bag, repeatedly occurs only at SEN.

I wear regular smart laced shoes, again never been a problem at any airport body arch scanners, except at SEN, I'm constantly requested to remove and scan my shoes - no metal plates in them btw, just regular Clarks black shoes I wear in the office.

I do think this might all be part of their training environment if that's in fact part of the SEN security clearance role.
I do hope that you, who have written good examples of what's not being done correctly, have written to Stobart at LSA and asked for an explanation. I doubt if they read this forum.

mik3bravo
30th Apr 2019, 21:54
Funny thing is, if I think back to that Good Friday long security clearance queues, I recall a lot of people asked to remove shoes after walking through the body scan archway.

I rather security be tight and flights protected from terrorism but at the same time I do tend to find SEN are definitely more fussy or the machines too sensitive. I can get through LHW T5 or City security fairly fast, and never had anything like the frequency of secondary checks that SEN seem to ping at high levels of reoccurences. Does seem very strange.

AirportPlanner1
30th Apr 2019, 22:03
The reality is that last year's 3 x E195 first wave departures have simply been replaced by 3 x B738 departures so not a huge increase in pax numbers as is being suggested.

Although the increase in pax is surely much greater than it looks, the old BE DUB flight was quite often fairly lightly loaded on the 06:30 run in my experience. On a few occasions more people took the MAN flight, I know because DUB often boarded first even though it was a few mins later. The GLA Route also had weak loads and it was a lot later. I’d suggest the first wave average from the E195s was about 160 pax, FR will surely be knocking up more like 450 within a much more concentrated timeframe.

asdf1234
1st May 2019, 04:10
I should have made it clear in my earlier post that whilst the security check was far too sensitive and seemed to follow rules that no other airport follows, the staff went about their job with good humour and politeness. The same goes for the lounge staff. It is a truly terrible lounge but the staff are polite, friendly and approachable.

tophat27dt
1st May 2019, 06:20
I should have made it clear in my earlier post that whilst the security check was far too sensitive and seemed to follow rules that no other airport follows, the staff went about their job with good humour and politeness. The same goes for the lounge staff. It is a truly terrible lounge but the staff are polite, friendly and approachable.
I was more referring to user comments on the airport website who mentioned staff attitudes, particularly at security.

DC3 Dave
1st May 2019, 10:58
Ref #2918 from SS

Just a reminder that the giant surf simulator will be available in front of the terminal tomorrow. Hope to see you all there in your boardshorts.

https://www.essex-tv.co.uk/southend-airport-to-install-giant-surf-simulator/

London Southend. Riding on the crest of a wave.

Expressflight
6th May 2019, 14:14
Flybe Winter 2019/20

The Flybe online timetable from 26th October to 9th March shows CFR 4 x weekly (until 6th January), GRQ 11 x weekly, GCI 7 x weekly, NQY 5 x weekly and RNS 10 x weekly. ANR seems to cease on 25th October.

virginblue
6th May 2019, 15:05
How have the ANR loads been recently? Surprised as SEN enjoys a monopoly with LCY-ANR on VLM gone which was 3 or 4 times daily, IIRC.

Expressflight
6th May 2019, 15:47
I haven't seen any 2019 figures but up to the end of 2018 the ANR load factors were well below those for CFR, GRQ and RNS; somewhere just above 40% for the last quarter of the year I seem to recall.

aurigny72
6th May 2019, 15:48
Flybe Winter 2019/20

The Flybe online timetable from 26th October to 9th March shows CFR 4 x weekly (until 6th January), GRQ 11 x weekly, GCI 7 x weekly, NQY 5 x weekly and RNS 10 x weekly. ANR seems to cease on 25th October.
Seems a bit strange to stop the ANR service, also dont know how GCI is going to work during the winter months at the same frequency 7x weekly as the summer schedule.

Expressflight
6th May 2019, 15:59
I guess you would have to ask Blue Islands as they take the commercial risk but it does seem rather surprising.

cobopete
6th May 2019, 18:39
I guess Blue see Southend as a London airport and are targeting Stansted, Gatwick and Heathrow pax from the island to their Southend service (approx 7 flights per day throughout the year with capacity of about 600 pax each way per day). Main problem will be to get people to use Southend instead of one of the hubs.
Pete

southside bobby
9th May 2019, 06:22
The Echo reporting that `Environmental Campaigners are set to stage a protest at Southend Airport` today.

An `Extinction Rebellion team are gearing up to get their climate change point across to airport passengers with a protest at The Manners Way/Rochford Rd Roundabout from 9am to 11am`.

`Campaigners say local protest has been prompted by residents living around the airport who have recently complained about taxiing aircraft just yards from their gardens`.

A local protester states "We hope that this is something that will grow".

SEN Observer
9th May 2019, 06:31
I see the climate change protesters are set to disrupt SEN passengers from 09:00 to 11:00 today by making a nuisance of themse!ves at the roundabout where the airport entrance road comes off the highway.

SEN Observer
9th May 2019, 06:37
southside Bobby ....... You just beat me to it! I knew yesterday and should have posted then.

southside bobby
9th May 2019, 09:10
Not normal I beat anybody to anything.

& now...`Britain`s equivalent to Tutankhamun found in Southend`...

Hope that is not near the airport as being declared a National Heritage site perhaps might impede more than the `pink boat` on the roundabout :))

Barling Magna
9th May 2019, 09:43
It's not far away from the airport, but far enough. It was an amazing discovery, somehow preserved between a railway cutting and a main road.

tophat27dt
9th May 2019, 10:14
I've not heard news about anybody turning up.

southside bobby
9th May 2019, 10:30
Find...
Agree,amazing discovery the most important in the country for at least 60 years it is said.
Portrays our/the Essex/Anglo Saxon heritage.

Protest...
Possibly having trouble then negotiating the pink boat round the Southend Arterial.

Barling Magna
9th May 2019, 10:35
Around ten people turned up to protest, apparently.

SEN Observer
9th May 2019, 10:41
I've not heard news about anybody turning up.
A very small gathering (not more than 10) when I passed at 10:40 and they were about as far from the airport road as you can get; on the corner at the top of Manners Way. Went to terminal and nothing unusual there. Passed the roundabout again at 11:01 and they'd all cleared off.

Planespeaking
9th May 2019, 10:50
A very small gathering (not more than 10) when I passed at 10:40 and they were about as far from the airport road as you can get; on the corner at the top of Manners Way. Went to terminal and nothing unusual there. Passed the roundabout again at 11:01 and they'd all cleared off.
It would appear that one police car turned up and drove off after five minutes, no pink boat and no disruption. Mind you there was a rain shower so perhaps saving the planet took second place to getting wet. On the other hand the locals could have provided bars of soap whilst the unwashed were dripping!!

tophat27dt
9th May 2019, 10:57
It would appear that one police car turned up and drove off after five minutes, no pink boat and no disruption. Mind you there was a rain shower so perhaps saving the planet took second place to getting wet. On the other hand the locals could have provided bars of soap whilst the unwashed were dripping!!
Perhaps the protesters were all family members from the house in Wells Ave.

SARF
9th May 2019, 13:19
You won’t here any whining from them until we get a few days of north easterly .. the photo op isn’t as good

daz211
10th May 2019, 15:54
French ATC, Yesterday’s evening easyJet, FAO - SEN U27634, is running over 24hrs late.
the latest friends are being told is a 2200 departure tonight, they were told 1600.
However they did get put up in a luxury 5***** hotel.

shamrock7seal
10th May 2019, 16:13
Regarding EU 261 if a passenger is given airline compensation and hotels/meals does the airline STILL need to pay out the full EU261 pay-put for delayed flights over 3hrs???

daz211
10th May 2019, 16:43
Yes as long as the delay is within the airlines control.
In the case of French Air Traffic control strikes, No compensation is due as it is out of the airlines control.
im not sure about my friend flight above,they are being told it’s Due to ATC strikes in France, But a +24hr delay can’t be wholly due to ATC.

shamrock7seal
10th May 2019, 17:13
Yes i can imagine some airlines would try to bend the truth as much as possible!

tophat27dt
10th May 2019, 17:24
Yes as long as the delay is within the airlines control.
In the case of French Air Traffic control strikes, No compensation is due as it is out of the airlines control.
im not sure about my friend flight above,they are being told it’s Due to ATC strikes in France, But a +24hr delay can’t be wholly due to ATC.
An extra 4 hours delay was added because of the crews hours.

DC3 Dave
12th May 2019, 08:10
The inaugural ABZ - SEN is scheduled to arrive at 1500. With Glasgow and Stornoway to follow shortly and possibly more later in the year.

Loganair - Scotland's Airline

London Southend -. Scotland's Airport

CabinCrewe
12th May 2019, 09:02
Im yet to be convinced by the convenience of 'London' Southend, but depends I suppose on your ultimate London locale. For me, central London is really only convenient with HEX via LHR or via LCY.

SealinkBF
12th May 2019, 21:07
Im yet to be convinced by the convenience of 'London' Southend, but depends I suppose on your ultimate London locale. For me, central London is really only convenient with HEX via LHR or via LCY.

Getting from Southend Airport to its rail station is far easier than getting to the platforms at Heathrow. The rail fare is far lower, and you get to Liverpool Street which is arguably a more central station than Paddington.

With Loganair including luggage in their fare (and they need to shout that from the rooftops) I hope these routes are a success.

ifu05596
12th May 2019, 22:07
Getting from Southend Airport to its rail station is far easier than getting to the platforms at Heathrow. The rail fare is far lower, and you get to Liverpool Street which is arguably a more central station than Paddington.

With Loganair including luggage in their fare (and they need to shout that from the rooftops) I hope these routes are a success.
Yet to try Southend but I agree, Heathrow is good for connecting flights, not getting to Central London. Unless I go to on client near Paddington I’d sooner LCY or GTW (Thamselink to Farringdon). Happily add Southend to Stratford for Central/Jubilee or Liverpool Street to the mix. Clan Loganair points earned through work travel also fills the hole left by no Avios redemptions!

does anyone know what the hand baggage size is like on the E145? Quite like walking off and and out and not hanging about for a bag for an overnight trip (however free it might be).

LTNman
12th May 2019, 22:26

Somewhat selective information. Dedicated non stop service vs multi stopping commuter train that takes twice as long if not longer. Smaller Southend does make plane to train easy though.

davidjohnson6
13th May 2019, 05:53
25 min wait from joining the security queue to being able to put a bag on the conveyor belt on an ordinary weekday morning; security staff announcing a further 30 min wait to have a bag checked manually for liquids; and just 2 out of 4 X-ray machines in use.

I understand that this is probably the peak but time waiting in a security queue is time not spent in the shops. Perhaps worth hiring some more staff for the morning shift

AirportPlanner1
13th May 2019, 06:04
does anyone know what the hand baggage size is like on the E145? Quite like walking off and and out and not hanging about for a bag for an overnight trip (however free it might be).

Not sure about a formal requirement but at GLA I’ve seen them take what look like EZY/FR size cases off the aircraft and leave them at the steps when you disembark. What I’m not sure is whether they are formally checked in, or carried left at the aircraft by pax.

SEN Observer
13th May 2019, 06:32
Don't forget there is a full line closure between Wickford and Southend Victoria for 9 days from Saturday 25th May to Sunday 2nd June; no trains whatsoever. Buses between Wickford and Southend and a reduced train service from Wickford to Liverpool Street. c2c from Fenchurch Street fully operational throughout the period so at least you can get to and from Southend Central then a short bus or taxi ride.

ifu05596
13th May 2019, 07:02
Don't forget there is a full line closure between Wickford and Southend Victoria for 9 days from Saturday 25th May to Sunday 2nd June; no trains whatsoever. Buses between Wickford and Southend and a reduced train service from Wickford to Liverpool Street. c2c from Fenchurch Street fully operational throughout the period so at least you can get to and from Southend Central then a short bus or taxi ride.

That doesn’t sound like great timing for the Glasgow/Stornoway service launch on 28th, I’m sure that will get the wrong kind of tweets!

NickBarnes
13th May 2019, 07:45
Not sure about a formal requirement but at GLA I’ve seen them take what look like EZY/FR size cases off the aircraft and leave them at the steps when you disembark. What I’m not sure is whether they are formally checked in, or carried left at the aircraft by pax.

You leave them at the aircraft steps on boarding, and collect them as you get off at the bottom of the steps if to large for the cabin

Expressflight
13th May 2019, 08:07
That doesn’t sound like great timing for the Glasgow/Stornoway service launch on 28th, I’m sure that will get the wrong kind of tweets!

If SEN want to limit the inconvenience and bad publicity they will run a dedicated coach service between Wickford and SEN during that period, taking about 25 minutes compared to the rail replacement bus, calling at Rayleigh, Hockley and Rochford, planned to take 56 minutes.

rog747
13th May 2019, 08:42
Sounds like SEN is a now victim of its own success - No longer the quick and easy airport to swan through with ease if the security Q's are 30+ minutes.

Only 2 out of the 4 x-ray machines working for the 6am rush? Ludicrous...How many based 186/189 seat jets are now at SEN that all leave at the same times - 7 or 8 is it?

As another poster mentions that means no time to spend ££ in the DF shops and the bars/cafes.

The Owners of SEN need to quickly step up their workforce to ensure this matter is addressed PDQ.

If they don't and these delays continue, and remember we are not anywhere near the high season as yet, then loyal pax will simply drift away and not use SEN.

Tagron
13th May 2019, 08:59
Stobart are advertising recruitment of a new Head of Security for SEN, closing date for applicants May 31. The Vacancy Notice appears to have been issued about two weeks ago.

tophat27dt
13th May 2019, 11:33
Stobart are advertising recruitment of a new Head of Security for SEN, closing date for applicants May 31. The Vacancy Notice appears to have been issued about two weeks ago.
Whilst each department needs a competent chief, it's the XRay machines and staff that are needed immediately. Why delay things until a new security chief starts. The Airport CEO should sort out the problem before then.

DC3 Dave
13th May 2019, 12:28

Also advertising for security officers, full and part time, with the same closing date. Experience not essential.

Here's the list of current vacancies on the airport website.

https://southendairport.com/about/careers