PDA

View Full Version : Southend-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Barling Magna
10th Jan 2019, 22:21
On the face of it I can't see that this is of any benefit to SEN, but time will tell.

NLC1072
11th Jan 2019, 01:32
Out of interest, given the limits on the Runway at Southend , how many aicraft have, Ryanair based there .
I can't imagine they have a huge amount of 738's SFP capabilities.
I take it also from the above post that they are limited on weight even with that technology.
I thought years ago they had said they might look toward foreign built , Sub130 Seat aircraft .
Naturally the Sukhoi - used by Cityjet Eire
Or the VSeries now A220-100/300 Both able to be at max weight and land with only 1400 odd metres of Runway so I read .

Perhaps if Boeing and Airbus saw the advantage in having in their range an aircraft able to carry upto 130 pax on a short Runway .( C-Series , by Airbus )
And the exellent Embraer E Jets , especially the new E2 etc ( better engines , braking and electronics ).
So if the manufacturers see this , why can't the likes of Ryanair.
It would open up more routes to smaller airports , that would have the demand , but are limited by runway .
Eg they if had say the A220 could operate from LCY.
Ryanairs business plan relies on only using one aircraft type to keep costs down, they simply will not enter the market if it requires another type of aircraft, which would increase their costs.

DC3 Dave
11th Jan 2019, 06:33
A snippet from a statement posted on the Flybe thread.

The Acquisition will enable Flybe to benefit from committed strategic investment partners in terms of Cyrus, Stobart Group and Virgin Atlantic (through Connect Airways) and from an enhanced presence at London Heathrow Airport and Manchester Airport with potential to grow further in London Southend Airport.• The Acquisition and combination with franchise airline, Stobart Air, will provide the Combined Group with an opportunity to increase passenger numbers at London Southend Airport, accelerating its growth for and European air travel.

asdf1234
11th Jan 2019, 07:23
The deal gives Stobart £25m up front when DPL buys a 5% share of Stobart .It then gives them a further £25m in 6 years time assuming the JV generates enough profit and cash to allow the second payment. Cash is key right now as the existing business at the airport is loss-making. Stobart loses control of Stobart Air however given that the assets are all on sale & leaseback deals this is most probably a good thing. Being a junior partner they may not have too much sway over the basing of FlyBe assets at SEN but only time will tell .for now the £25m must be very welcome at Stobart Towers .

Expressflight
11th Jan 2019, 07:31
This may mean that Stobart row back from their decision to reduce the SEN operation to just ANR, CFR, GRQ, NQY and RNS in two month's time and to terminate the Flybe franchise entirely in a year's time. The elimination of all the E195 routes from SEN is almost complete so this year's STK operation at SEN will be a shadow of its former self. Any re-think brought about by this deal, if it goes ahead, is likely to be beneficial to SEN rather than detrimental, especially in light of Warwick Brady's comments in the statement.

compton3bravo
11th Jan 2019, 08:21
My interpretation of the information issued is that Stobart Air and Leasing business will be no more but will be absorbed into Connect Airways (the holding company). Stand by for a lot of pruning at some regional airports and concentrate on Heathrow, Manchester and Southampton. Of course all this has to be agreed by the shareholders which are going to get 1p per share.

PDXCWL45
11th Jan 2019, 09:31
My interpretation of the information issued is that Stobart Air and Leasing business will be no more but will be absorbed into Connect Airways (the holding company). Stand by for a lot of pruning at some regional airports and concentrate on Heathrow, Manchester and Southampton. Of course all this has to be agreed by the shareholders which are going to get 1p per share.

It's a case of wait and see but everyone is assuming they will cut but it could also be a case of them keeping the current bases but expanding at the likes of MAN to turn it into a transatlantic hub. You've also got to remember that at Heathrow their slots are limited and it isn't a base for Flybe, all the flights are non based.

22/04
11th Jan 2019, 12:14
LHR probably will become a base, with transfer of some AF slots if the deeper merger goes ahead. Crewed by a reduction in BHX?

Certainly no bad news for SEN; People talk about FR doing a runner - not sure what the deal is but it is more likely they will tinker with the route structure and if/when the leave routes and some may revert to son of Stobart

All speculation I know....

Planespeaking
11th Jan 2019, 12:29
LHR probably will become a base, with transfer of some AF slots if the deeper merger goes ahead. Crewed by a reduction in BHX?

Certainly no bad news for SEN; People talk about FR doing a runner - not sure what the deal is but it is more likely they will tinker with the route structure and if/when the leave routes and some may revert to son of Stobart

Can you indicate where it has been reported that FR are about to do a 'runner'. SEN would not be spending £10m on runway improvements to accommodate FR this spring if there was any doubt. May I suggest that such comments are less than helpful.

tophat27dt
11th Jan 2019, 12:54

Please stop being so negative about the scheduled new RYR ops from SEN, even if you read such BS from other posters. It doesn't help anybody.

SEN Observer
11th Jan 2019, 14:40
The first mention I can find of FR "doing a runner" is a post on this forum #2501. When AirportPlanner1 made this post I am sure he didn't expect them to, it was just a "what if" scenario. I am sure nobody seriously expects them to up and away quickly after arrival; as has been said a lot here, they ain't stupid, they've done their homework.

DC3 Dave
11th Jan 2019, 20:05
At this stage it appears that the investors in Connect concur that SEN has a role to play if the takeover of Flybe goes through. Stobart people will lead, but as investment in services from the airport is no longer at their sole risk, then it's clear to me that all must have agreed to a way forward for SEN post Flybe.

SWBKCB
11th Jan 2019, 20:18
As I understand it, before the (proposed) deal, both the airline and airport were part of the same business, and within the same management structure. Presumably this won't be the case going forward?

Tagron
12th Jan 2019, 00:59
Stobart Air is the airline. Stobart Aviation is the airport operator of SEN and CAX. Both of course part of Stobart Group .

AirportPlanner1
12th Jan 2019, 20:29
Indeed...my comments about FR “doing a runner” are purely in the context of them leaving other bases all over Europe and being near enough the most volatile partner.

Also by default the BE franchise deal would end because Stobart Air and Flybe would be effectely the same company.

Buster the Bear
14th Jan 2019, 17:42
https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/uk-ireland/uks-most-expensive-airport-car-13854835

snn20
14th Jan 2019, 18:06
Indeed...my comments about FR “doing a runner” are purely in the context of them leaving other bases all over Europe and being near enough the most volatile partner.

Also by default the BE franchise deal would end because Stobart Air and Flybe would be effectely the same company.

As long as SEN can keep the costs to the lowest, take a look at their base in Shannon..there have been many “deals” yet most end up with routes being axed..until SNN come along again and sign a new one ect. In the last 10 years they’ve launched nearly 50 routes coinciding with many deals however only 18-19 will operate this summer

Sharklet_321
14th Jan 2019, 20:09
SWBKCB - I think you assume correctly

aurigny72
14th Jan 2019, 20:10
https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/uk-ireland/uks-most-expensive-airport-car-13854835
That is not actually true. Long stay car park 3 at SEN is 15 minutes free for drop off and pick up.

LTNman
15th Jan 2019, 05:25
Badly written research as they seem to have used a combination of parking charges and drop off charges. Luton is listed at £3 which is their 10 minute drop off charge. The short term car park would cost £8 for 10 minutes but the mid and long term would be free. In fact the long term at Luton is free for the first 2 hours.

SARF
15th Jan 2019, 20:18
If you want to make sure they get through security....
so thats bag drop. Then a wait from distance where you can’t see them whilst you wait for a text saying they made it through
yup all airports should provide free parking for that

runwayman
16th Jan 2019, 08:55
6 Flights in & 6 out today darkest deepest winter!

runwayman
16th Jan 2019, 12:51
Airport putting a planning application in for a second hotel

Bee Rexit
16th Jan 2019, 14:26
Airport putting a planning application in for a second hotel
Where is that going Runwayman?

DC3 Dave
16th Jan 2019, 17:04
Well here's confirmation of the intention, no facts though.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17362740.southend-airport-set-for-new-hotel-as-bosses-promise-exciting-next-decade (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17362740.southend-airport-set-for-new-hotel-as-bosses-promise-exciting-next-decade/#gallery2)

AirportPlanner1
16th Jan 2019, 19:16
6 Flights in & 6 out today darkest deepest winter!

When there is only one ATR flight scheduled (possibly with not many people on it) is there anything open airside? Certainly the cafe in arrivals was shut when I was on the sole arrival from MAN last month.

SARF
16th Jan 2019, 19:30
No,one cares about arrivals.. zero value

AirportPlanner1
16th Jan 2019, 20:01
No,one cares about arrivals.. zero value

Not quite true...if it were the cafe wouldn’t be there, and other airports wouldn’t have BK, Costa, M&S etc when you exit. Or indeed duty free in some places

highwideandugly
16th Jan 2019, 20:28
Opinions please guys!

you may have been following the DTV thread and the possibility of Stobarts becoming the operator ?

Any observations on how they have done running SEN?

DC3 Dave
16th Jan 2019, 20:52
When we reach the peak of S19 there will be 30+ departures every day.

Before Stobart arrived there was 1 per week.

The corporate savvy have many reservations, but the physical transformation of Southend Airport has been truly remarkable.

SWBKCB
16th Jan 2019, 21:00
Better than at Carlisle?

And how much have they spent at SEN - is it £100m plus?

DC3 Dave
16th Jan 2019, 21:08

At least! Fantastic isn't it!

Planespeaking
16th Jan 2019, 21:56
Better than at Carlisle?

Now nearer £200m. Just goes to show what a few quid can do!!

compton3bravo
20th Jan 2019, 14:47
According to the Sunday Times travel section Southend is the costliest airport in the UK for short term parking charging £4.50 for anything up to 30 minutes. If you need the full 30 minutes don't use Stansted it will cost you £25!. Rip off Britain again!

aurigny72
20th Jan 2019, 15:11
According to the Sunday Times travel section Southend is the costliest airport in the UK for short term parking charging £4.50 for anything up to 30 minutes. If you need the full 30 minutes don't use Stansted it will cost you £25!. Rip off Britain again!
Please read my post 2520

SEN Observer
20th Jan 2019, 15:12
As has been pointed out very recently on this thread, short stay car park 5 minutes free and and 15 minutes free in long stay 3. The airport should take these papers to task for misrepresentation of the facts and get them to publish an apology.

LTNman
20th Jan 2019, 15:30
So how many of those using the short term can actually pick up or drop off in 5 minutes if there is a queue? The reason it is so short is to maybe catch people out so the airport can pick up a charge.

SEN Observer
20th Jan 2019, 15:53
Agreed, 5 minutes short stay car park probably no good for a lot of travellers but 15 minutes in long stay 3 (very close to the terminal entrance) should be ample for most people.

compton3bravo
20th Jan 2019, 15:59
Just quoting the ST article aurigny72.

LTNman
20th Jan 2019, 16:03
Agreed, 5 minutes short stay car park probably no good for a lot of travellers but 15 minutes in long stay 3 (very close to the terminal entrance) should be ample for most people.

Except most people will choose the shorter route. I see the short term used to have 15 minutes free but I guess too many cars could get in and get out in that time.

AirportPlanner1
20th Jan 2019, 20:06
So how many of those using the short term can actually pick up or drop off in 5 minutes if there is a queue? The reason it is so short is to maybe catch people out so the airport can pick up a charge.

Used it once, took about 2 minutes. Assuming double the pax brings double the traffic, that’s 4 minutes. Perfectly ample

LTNman
20th Jan 2019, 20:19
Single exit barrier and time of day comes to mind. Just takes one driving sitting there pressing the intercom.

SARF
20th Jan 2019, 20:46
Jesus. You can drop people off at Mac Donald’s round the corner and they can walk from there. It’s probably a shorter walk than the sh.tshow that is Stansted post security

Bee Rexit
21st Jan 2019, 08:04
Single exit barrier and time of day comes to mind. Just takes one driving sitting there pressing the intercom.

Exactly what happened to me last year (as previous noted on this thread post 1783) 5 mins drop off a complete waste of time especially, for the person who has to answer the intercom and keep letting people out. the free 15 min drop off is not really that well known about. I don't know why they even had to change it? Were they worried that the drop off car park was getting full? Because I have never seen it that busy.

Expressflight
25th Jan 2019, 08:58
Bluer Islands may announce a GCI-SEN route later today.

aurigny72
25th Jan 2019, 09:19
Bluer Islands may announce a GCI-SEN route later today.
Yes flights already on sale on the Flybe website, starts May 20th daily service.

DC3 Dave
25th Jan 2019, 10:46
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17385148.flights-from-southend-airport-to-channel-islands-launched (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17385148.flights-from-southend-airport-to-channel-islands-launched/)

southender
25th Jan 2019, 11:26
Am I missing something? Glyn Jones in the Echo article mentions the Guernsey route as the third new route achieved in January alone. What were the other two?

Anyway, imho Guernsey has been missing from SEN’s schedules for far too long, although whether there will be enough demand to justify a daily service remains to be seen. I would have thought a Saturday, Sunday and one midweek rotation would possibly satisfy demand, although I hope to be proved wrong.

Expressflight
25th Jan 2019, 11:47
Am I missing something? Glyn Jones in the Echo article mentions the Guernsey route as the third new route achieved in January alone. What were the other two?
If you're missing something then so am I. I'm sure there haven't been two other new SEN routes announced this month - yet (maybe he's getting ahead of himself).

SEN Observer
25th Jan 2019, 11:55
Can't believe it; it's on the destinations area of SEN website already! They must have been listening to all the moans previously.

AirportPlanner1
25th Jan 2019, 12:05
Ryanair Winter 2019 has just gone on sale, perhaps that might be the source of any other new routes? They tend to drip-feed them.

DC3 Dave
25th Jan 2019, 13:02
If you're missing something then so am I. I'm sure there haven't been two other new SEN routes announced this month - yet (maybe he's getting ahead of himself).

BHD and EDI were previously spoken about at the same time that Guernsey was first mentioned.

tophat27dt
25th Jan 2019, 13:28
BHD and EDI were previously spoken about at the same time that Guernsey was first mentioned.
Spoken about by who? I not heard that. I wish it is true though.

SWBKCB
25th Jan 2019, 13:43
You would of thought the man himself (or more likely the person who wrote his press release for him) should have noticed... :eek:

DC3 Dave
25th Jan 2019, 20:07
Spoken about by who? I not heard that. I wish it is true though.

https://www.anna.aero/2018/05/15/30-second-interview-bernard-lavelle-aviation-business-development-director-london-southend-airport/

AirportPlanner1
25th Jan 2019, 23:04
https://www.anna.aero/2018/05/15/30-second-interview-bernard-lavelle-aviation-business-development-director-london-southend-airport/

That interview is quite dated now. It also looks as though their passenger profiling is flawed regarding catchment moving west. I wonder how many of those are people like myself who book corporately but live locally. There aren’t many residents in the EC postcodes.

DC3 Dave
28th Jan 2019, 11:02
Can't believe it; it's on the destinations area of SEN website already! They must have been listening to all the moans previously.

They had a space to fill. Carlisle has been removed.

SEN Observer
28th Jan 2019, 11:48
You're right DC3 Dave, it has gone but only in the last couple of days or so. Has anyone got any info on this? Is Carlisle route dead and burried?

DC3 Dave
30th Jan 2019, 19:05
Can anyone provide an update on the runway resurfacing? And is the terminal extension underway?

SEN Observer
6th Feb 2019, 10:12
Looks like curtains for Paderborn

www.exyuaviation.com/2019/02/adria-airways-shuts-down-paderborn-base.html?fbclid=IwAR2iQtktyL1pxu16G_ICcFH4OAB-Ardlt1pKztgdLGWvl6qEVqHzseUttok (https://www.exyuaviation.com/2019/02/adria-airways-shuts-down-paderborn-base.html?fbclid=IwAR2iQtktyL1pxu16G_ICcFH4OAB-Ardlt1pKztgdLGWvl6qEVqHzseUttok)

AirportPlanner1
7th Feb 2019, 15:25
Looks like curtains for Paderborn

CAA stats show 72 passengers carried in December, which I think equates to 3.6 per flight. Embarrassing.

Expressflight
7th Feb 2019, 15:42
CAA stats show 72 passengers carried in December, which I think equates to 3.6 per flight. Embarrassing.

That's odd as my loadings numbers show 190 pax in December at 10.6 per flight and 11.6 pax per flight for the four January flights.

LTNman
7th Feb 2019, 18:07
Did Southend manage to keep its Biz Jet traffic when the restrictions at Luton ended?

pabely
7th Feb 2019, 18:24
Did Southend manage to keep its Biz Jet traffic when the restrictions at Luton ended?
Yes a few a day but nothing like what they had during the summer, suppose it will all kick in again once the Luton restrictions start again, then with the based RYR starting soon, will space become an issue?

tophat27dt
7th Feb 2019, 19:11
Jet Centre has its own reserved parking bays.
III

tophat27dt
7th Feb 2019, 19:12
If you look at the monthly "spotters reports" for SEN there is definitely an increase in bizjets using SEN

Expressflight
8th Feb 2019, 17:59
Luxair B738 LX-LGU should be arriving SEN in the next 30 minutes operating a 'catch-up 'flight for LCY pax delayed by high winds earlier today. This will be the first B738 to carry pax into SEN, the two Luxair flights a couple of years ago arrived empty and operated out full to Pau. The two scheduled evening LUX-LCY-LUX flights have been combined onto the B738 into SEN.

rog747
9th Feb 2019, 13:28
Luxair B738 LX-LGU should be arriving SEN in the next 30 minutes operating a 'catch-up 'flight for LCY pax delayed by high winds earlier today. This will be the first B738 to carry pax into SEN, the two Luxair flights a couple of years ago arrived empty and operated out full to Pau. The two scheduled evening LUX-LCY-LUX flights have been combined onto the B738 into SEN.

SEN - LUX load was bussed from LCY and was 105 pax

Not sure how many came in on it from LUX

davidjohnson6
9th Feb 2019, 21:14
Earlier today a BA Cityflyer flight from Milan Linate diverted to Southend due to bad weather, and the return back to Milan also began in Southend (the aircraft spends Friday and Saturday night in Milan)
A single divert is pretty mundane, but what puzzles me is why a divert like this causes chaos. The E190 ended up landing at Southend just before 8 am. The pax for a 0940 departure fron LCY were checked in, luggage accepted at checkin desks, and only at the LCY gate just before gate-closing time were they told to then go collect their bags from arrivals, wait for a coach to take them to Southend and then end up departing SEN 4 hours after the original LCY departure time or 5h30 after the plane landed at SEN following bad weather

LCY-SEN is about 45 mins to drive. So why does a divert like this which should not be unexpected with winter weather take so long to resolve ? And no, the handling agents wouldn't say anything beyond the catch-all 'operational reasons' ! I don't mean to have a moan - more trying to understand why this all takes so long to be resolved, especially when SEN has ample spare airport capacity

AirportPlanner1
10th Feb 2019, 00:00
On a similar note I was at STN today where a Swiss turned up. It was on the ground a good couple of hours so I guessed they were bringing the pax over, but no it seemed to me to depart empty. Surely it could have headed back immediately and not unnecessarily delayed later flights (if it was due to make any).

Perhaps the issue isn’t the capacity of SEN or the ease in which pax could theoretically be transferred, but one of waiting on ops decisions.

The Swiss couldn’t have made it back to LCY because it was too late. Perhaps BA were waiting to see if conditions improved. Perhaps the aircraft being displaced necessitated bringing in a new crew. Perhaps they couldn’t source a coach in good time. No point sending pax by train because it’s rail replacement.

Cazza_fly
10th Feb 2019, 00:35
Earlier today a BA Cityflyer flight from Milan Linate diverted to Southend due to bad weather, and the return back to Milan also began in Southend (the aircraft spends Friday and Saturday night in Milan)
A single divert is pretty mundane, but what puzzles me is why a divert like this causes chaos. The E190 ended up landing at Southend just before 8 am. The pax for a 0940 departure fron LCY were checked in, luggage accepted at checkin desks, and only at the LCY gate just before gate-closing time were they told to then go collect their bags from arrivals, wait for a coach to take them to Southend and then end up departing SEN 4 hours after the original LCY departure time or 5h30 after the plane landed at SEN following bad weather

LCY-SEN is about 45 mins to drive. So why does a divert like this which should not be unexpected with winter weather take so long to resolve ? And no, the handling agents wouldn't say anything beyond the catch-all 'operational reasons' ! I don't mean to have a moan - more trying to understand why this all takes so long to be resolved, especially when SEN has ample spare airport capacity

If it wasn't planned, its having the staff availability to make the alternative arrangements in a short period of time and knowing of the availabilty of check-in staff / baggage handling agents at SEN being able to handle it at a certain point in time too. Whilst it seems passengers were informed of the arrangements "late in the day" at the gate - a number of other things will have been going off in the background. Perhaps one of them at some point will have been to continue the aircraft on to LCY should an improved weather window occur. Failing that, organising the onward transport can also take time and will have only been made when the decision to definitely operate the flight from SEN had taken place. There's no coaches just parked up idle at LCY waiting for such an event, so they have to be sourced and then will give an estimate of dispatch and journey time to get to LCY. Now, this is presuming it wasn't the only disrupted flight. If so, handling staff may have also been dealing with issues on any other disruptions and hold ups on delays too before being able to take on this disrupted flight. Another hold up before returning passengers on the flight back to the land-side area will have been to work with the airport on the best route to do this. Ensuring the luggage collection was ready - all whilst (presumably?) other operations were continuing at LCY including arriving flights using the baggage hall. That's all so far happened at LCY alone before even having to make a full new check-in at SEN, most probably under manual operating conditions (no BA check-in system) with most likely minimum staff due to having to protect their own flight schedules first and foremost. That's not even mentioning any crewing issues, flight planning changes etc. So perhaps 4 hours all in all isn't the worst.

irishlad06
10th Feb 2019, 04:25
On a similar note I was at STN today where a Swiss turned up. It was on the ground a good couple of hours so I guessed they were bringing the pax over, but no it seemed to me to depart empty. Surely it could have headed back immediately and not unnecessarily delayed later flights (if it was due to make any).

Perhaps the issue isn’t the capacity of SEN or the ease in which pax could theoretically be transferred, but one of waiting on ops decisions.

The Swiss couldn’t have made it back to LCY because it was too late. Perhaps BA were waiting to see if conditions improved. Perhaps the aircraft being displaced necessitated bringing in a new crew. Perhaps they couldn’t source a coach in good time. No point sending pax by train because it’s rail replacement.

Maybe Swiss ops were waiting on a window of opportunity to operate the aircraft to LCY for the return or maybe the crew on it were due to get off and night stop in LCY and there was a new crew waiting in LCY to take over so they would have had to get transport between airports. There are multiple reasons including ramp handling - do swiss have a handling contract at SEN - if not then everything needs prepayment or organised otherwise - there could have been a slot departure restriction - multitude of possible causes as to why it sat on the ground for a few hours and then operated back empty.

southside bobby
10th Feb 2019, 05:10
As a note...

SWR A220 departed STN to ZRH...& as a further note over numerous SWR diverts in the past they have always appeared to depart back to Switzerland & not position to LCY later.
Swiss efficiency?

Expressflight
10th Feb 2019, 07:26
Luxair seem to share the same philosophy as Swiss in that their fairly frequent LCY diversions to SEN are turned round very quickly and depart empty to LUX. This actually benefits SEN operationally as it frees up stands for further diversions if needed.

AirportPlanner1
10th Feb 2019, 07:26
Maybe Swiss ops were waiting on a window of opportunity to operate the aircraft to LCY

As I clearly said, getting back to LCY wasn’t an option as it was too late for the curfew. I also doubt they were awaiting crew as Swiss don’t night stop, particularly not on a Saturday.

Jersey32D
11th Feb 2019, 01:16
Unless SEN were unable to handle the aircraft type? Whilst not knowing specifics, perhaps a towbar and subsequent self manoeuvre stand were unavailable?

Expressflight
11th Feb 2019, 06:42
Unless SEN were unable to handle the aircraft type? Whilst not knowing specifics, perhaps a towbar and subsequent self manoeuvre stand were unavailable?

If you are talking about Swiss they always choose STN as their LCY diversion airport. Nothing to do with SEN handling capability.

mikkie4
11th Feb 2019, 21:28
Passenger numbers for DECEMBER were just short of 1.1/2 million compaired to DEC 2017 ,That's pretty dam good...(PAX NUMBERS UP AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS DOWN) more bums on seats on less planes

welkyboy
11th Feb 2019, 22:10
They’ve only just celebrated the millionth pax for the last twelve months, so your figures are “pie in the sky” old chap.....

pabely
11th Feb 2019, 22:25
Passenger numbers for DECEMBER were just short of 1.1/2 million compaired to DEC 2017 ,That's pretty dam good...(PAX NUMBERS UP AIRCRAFT MOVEMENTS DOWN) more bums on seats on less planes
I think that is rolling year, not December

pabely
11th Feb 2019, 22:27
If you look at the monthly "spotters reports" for SEN there is definitely an increase in bizjets using SEN
CAA Stats show 93 biz for December whereas 263 in June when LTN & STN night restictions would have been in place.

mikkie4
12th Feb 2019, 09:21
sorry I put the decimal point in the wrong place

Expressflight
12th Feb 2019, 10:00
They’ve only just celebrated the millionth pax for the last twelve months, so your figures are “pie in the sky” old chap.....

If you're referring to the story in the Echo it was the one millionth Stobart Air passenger that SEN were celebrating; nothing to do with total pax numbers.

Expressflight
12th Feb 2019, 10:06

Total aircraft movements were 32,531 in 2018, up from 26,674 in 2017. Of those 17,089 were ATMs in 2018 compared with 12,158 in 2017..

BA318
14th Feb 2019, 11:25
Ryanair are adding 4x weekly Venice Treviso

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-london-winter-19-schedule-2019-customer-care-improvements/

AirportPlanner1
14th Feb 2019, 12:23
Is that not just the existing Venice service moving out?

southside bobby
14th Feb 2019, 12:54
The Venice service will be a continuation for winter`19...

compton3bravo
16th Feb 2019, 07:19
Considering it is the start of half-term the departure board is not looking particularly healthy unlike most other airports across the country.

AirportPlanner1
16th Feb 2019, 16:48
Considering it is the start of half-term the departure board is not looking particularly healthy unlike most other airports across the country.

Which airports exactly? Gatwick? Manchester?

I count ten flights to sun/ski holiday destinations plus others to Amsterdam, Dublin etc. That seems more than quite a few UK airports.

PDXCWL45
16th Feb 2019, 17:42
Which airports exactly? Gatwick? Manchester?

I count ten flights to sun/ski holiday destinations plus others to Amsterdam, Dublin etc. That seems more than quite a few UK airports.
Southend had 14 departures today according to Fr24. So not too bad for an airport of it's size. For comparison Cardiff had 16, Exeter 12, Doncaser 9 and Southampton 25.

SEN Observer
16th Feb 2019, 18:25
It looks like 20 flights tomorrow which, to me, doesn't look too bad at all. Some people like their little moan, don't they?

compton3bravo
16th Feb 2019, 20:21
Not moaning just reporting the facts. I would not put Exeter and Doncaster in the same division as Southend.

mik3bravo
16th Feb 2019, 20:26
Been a while since I've been on this chat thread.
What's the latest update on the SEN rwy grooving work, progress against schedule, no glitches, ready on time for the new Ryanair services?

AirportPlanner1
16th Feb 2019, 20:33
Not moaning just reporting the facts. I would not put Exeter and Doncaster in the same division as Southend.

With four based EasyJet, one of which goes to the Canaries, and a couple of Stobart exactly how many flights should SEN have on a Saturday?

PDXCWL45
16th Feb 2019, 20:39
I would. All 3 are small regional airports under the 2 million passenger mark.

LTNman
16th Feb 2019, 20:48
I have long memories of Luton hovering around 1.8 million passengers for years, now look at the place, as it is unrecognisable. The future can only be rosy for SEN.

aurigny72
16th Feb 2019, 21:47
I have long memories of Luton hovering around 1.8 million passengers for years, now look at the place, as it is unrecognisable. The future can only be rosy for SEN.
Yes LTNman lets hope so but SEN could never reach anywhere near the PAX numbers of LTN, mainly because of the limited space of the airport to expand and the runway length, however if someone had suggested even a year ago that Ryanair would set up a base at SEN i would have never believed it. I think if all goes well during the next few years i feel a max capacity of 5 million PAX a year would be very good due to the airports restraints.

tophat27dt
17th Feb 2019, 03:45
Been a while since I've been on this chat thread.
What's the latest update on the SEN rwy grooving work, progress against schedule, no glitches, ready on time for the new Ryanair services?
The resurfacing is 80% complete and then the grooving will be done. Approx one week ahead of schedule so all looks good. Thank you for asking.

mik3bravo
17th Feb 2019, 06:52
Excellent news! Ryanair got a great deal from SEN and no doubt SEN will do very, very well from their new pals at Ryanair. I reckon long term car parks 2 and 3 are going to hit capacity now, may need consideration for a 3 or 5 storey car park on one of those existing footprints.

Fantastic job creating partnership for the immediate SEN catchment area. Brexit? what about it? the revenues will flow in at SEN, Brexit has no damaging impact. Onwards and upwards with confidence!

SEN Observer
17th Feb 2019, 15:47
Titan A321 G-POWN came in this afternoon, empty I think. Parked up on stand 10. Anyone have any idea what it's here for? The Iceland flight doesn't go for another week yet!

Expressflight
17th Feb 2019, 16:11
STN is closed tonight and Titan need the aircraft for a positioning flight in the early hours of tomorrow morning. No SEN runway works tonight (that is done on a '12 days on 2 days off' basis, this being one of the 2 days off) so flying it into SEN is the answer.

SEN Observer
17th Feb 2019, 17:08
Thank you, Expressflight; knew there must be some good reason!

​​

Pain in the R's
17th Feb 2019, 20:32
STN is closed tonight and Titan need the aircraft for a positioning flight in the early hours of tomorrow morning. No SEN runway works tonight (that is done on a '12 days on 2 days off' basis, this being one of the 2 days off) so flying it into SEN is the answer.

Didn't think SEN was allowed overnight departures?

fatmed
18th Feb 2019, 04:11
Didn't think SEN was allowed overnight departures?

they have a capped monthly quota that they are alllowed between 23/00 and 06:00.

runwayman
18th Feb 2019, 09:24
Titan A321 G-POWN came in this afternoon, empty I think. Parked up on stand 10. Anyone have any idea what it's here for? The Iceland flight doesn't go for another week yet!

The Iceland flight should be a Titan B757

pamann
18th Feb 2019, 09:46
The Iceland flight should be a Titan B757

Will this be the first passenger flight of a 757 from SEN?

Expressflight
18th Feb 2019, 10:27
There was a B757 flight into SEN last summer (one of the re-routed flights due to LTN night restrictions) that brought in something over 100 passengers I believe. The 752 is a good performer off SEN's runway.

MARKEYD
18th Feb 2019, 10:38
Noticed that the Akureyri flights have all been operated by Titan A321 G -POWN specifically since the charters were started back in November
Having said that though , it could be that they are on the 757 for the last couple of months , as the flights are being operated from Isle of Man , Jersey , Inverness and Southend which may indeed require a different performance aircraft

tophat27dt
18th Feb 2019, 10:48
Noticed that the Akureyri flights have all been operated by Titan A321 G -POWN specifically since the charters were started back in November
Having said that though , it could be that they are on the 757 for the last couple of months , as the flights are being operated from Isle of Man , Jersey , Inverness and Southend which may indeed require a different performance aircraft
So what happened to Enter Air who were supposed to operate the charter flight next Monday?

DC3 Dave
18th Feb 2019, 11:24
Whatever the aircraft, all available packages from SEN are sold out.

tophat27dt
18th Feb 2019, 11:31
Whatever the aircraft, all available packages from SEN are sold out.
Good news.

runwayman
21st Feb 2019, 08:56
This flight will be a Titan B757 (GZAPX).

tophat27dt
21st Feb 2019, 09:36
This flight will be a Titan B757 (GZAPX).
Do you know the scheduled time, and positioning in date?

AirportPlanner1
21st Feb 2019, 12:59
I was looking at a weekend in Groningen and noticed the schedule has been revised for summer, it’s now between 1 and 2 daily so a big decrease on Summer 2018. It also no longer spends the night over there. Both Stobart ATRs will fly out after the EZY/FR rush around 8am and finish the day around 9pm before the rest.

tophat27dt
21st Feb 2019, 13:51
I was looking at a weekend in Groningen and noticed the schedule has been revised for summer, it’s now between 1 and 2 daily so a big decrease on Summer 2018. It also no longer spends the night over there. Both Stobart ATRs will fly out after the EZY/FR rush around 8am and finish the day around 9pm before the rest.
Thats disappointing because this route has been going from strength to strength. Cut backs mainly due to lack of aircraft plus saves money on stopovers in hotels.

Expressflight
21st Feb 2019, 14:01
Hello Airport Planner -

I do have to ask - were you REALLY "looking" at a weekend in Groningen? What sights were you going to visit - what hotels had you looked at? What attracted you to Groningen at this particular time? Just curious.
I don't know about AP's plans but I've visited Groningen several times over the past few years. I can recommend the NH Hotel de Ville and its excellent restaurant or the Asgard which is a slightly quirky boutique hotel. It really is a good place to visit for a weekend - you should try it.

AirportPlanner1
21st Feb 2019, 19:20
Looks like Essexman has deleted their post...and good. Completely idiotic. I didn’t realise going to Groningen was so outrageous. But I’m not really clear why so...is it the lack of Disneyland? Lack of all inclusive beach resorts?

Thanks for the suggestions EF

21st Feb 2019, 20:44
Those would definitely be sensible questions if you had a Russian accent, if someone got poisoned with unusual neurotoxins during your the second of your 4 hour visits on consecutive days, and if you'd said that all your friends has been telling you that you have to go there to climb up the 260 steps of the 97m Martinitoren to see the 62 bells, including one with a bullet hole. ;)

For any doubters: it's a seriously nice place. I recommend it. It's like other nice places in NL but potentially easier to get to, cheaper and less touristy.

tophat27dt
22nd Feb 2019, 12:30
Do you know the scheduled time, and positioning in date?
Is it true? The flight will now operate from Stansted, and the pax will be bused up from SEN. ?? If true, I am very disappointed it was hushed up till today .

Asturias56
22nd Feb 2019, 13:20
"I was looking at a weekend in Groningen "

Amazing? I'm astonished - most of the people who live there can't wait for the weekend to go somewhere with a bit of life in my experience........ worse than Stavanger or Aberdeen

MARKEYD
25th Feb 2019, 09:17
Is it true? The flight will now operate from Stansted, and the pax will be bused up from SEN. ?? If true, I am very disappointed it was hushed up till today .

Think you might have got confused on this one , the Titan B 757 G -ZAPX positions into SEN today from STN to operate the service

Expressflight
25th Feb 2019, 09:25
Just landed SEN in fact.

runwayman
25th Feb 2019, 09:43
Should be 202 pax out

mikkie4
25th Feb 2019, 12:04
are there many european airlines out there who still operate 757s who could be possibly enticed to use SEN?

rog747
25th Feb 2019, 12:47
are there many European airlines out there who still operate 757s who could be possibly enticed to use SEN?

Not really - You have TOM/TUI but they will not fill a 757 on an IT charter series out of SEN several times each week - Do they still use Volotea for their SEN IT ops?

Icelandair and Jet2 are the 2 other major EU 757 operators with sizeable fleets for now but they are both retiring air-frames

Condor/TCK/MT now have 16 757-300 which are basically unsuitable for SEN operations

DC3 Dave
25th Feb 2019, 18:57
Should be 202 pax out

Any way you can confirm that, runwayman? If not we'll have to wait for the official February stats. If it is 202 that must be the the most pax departing SEN on a single aircraft.

runwayman
26th Feb 2019, 15:29
The final load was 201 yes a record uplift for a departing flight

tws123
26th Feb 2019, 18:50
Apparently Loganair are to announce 3 Scottish destinations from SEN at a press conference at the airport sometime this week. Anyone heard anything regarding this and whether it’s true? Perhaps ex-BMI aircraft being put to use?

Or has someone got their wires crossed and it’s just a Carlisle route network update which is due imminently?

aurigny72
26th Feb 2019, 19:59
Where did you hear this tws123? Would be good if turns out to be true, however 3 Scottish destinations seems a bit hard to believe. As you said it may just be the long awaited Carlisle route announcement, hopefully we will know very soon.

tws123
26th Feb 2019, 20:09
A reporter for Business Travel News tweeted this earlier today:

“LOGANAIR will introduce its first London route on Wednesday (Derry to Stansted) and will also announce at a Southend Airport press conference three Scottish destinations. Stobart Directors will be in attendance. Full details next Monday in BTN.”

Barling Magna
26th Feb 2019, 20:16
Interesting. Expressflight is usually one of the first to be aware of new developments at SEN. Any inkling, EF?

toledoashley
26th Feb 2019, 20:23
Are ‘Business Travel News’ forgetting Loganair already fly from Stansted to Dundee?

SWBKCB
26th Feb 2019, 20:49
In a word, "Yes"! - hopefully the rest of the comment is more reliable. Presumably GLA, EDI, ABZ?

AirportPlanner1
26th Feb 2019, 21:01
In a word, "Yes"! - hopefully the rest of the comment is more reliable. Presumably GLA, EDI, ABZ?

I saw a post recently concerning Loganair starting SEN-INV, for which the poster was mocked. Perhaps the laughter was premature.

mullac30
26th Feb 2019, 21:15
INV ABZ GLA are the only Scottish bases with spare ERJ capacity so I'd think they'd be the routes. Maybe thats why INV just got another ERJ.

tophat27dt
26th Feb 2019, 21:30
I heard in January that Loganair had held meetings with the SEN management and would operate three Scottish routes. I am pretty sure one was Inverness, and the other Edinburgh or Aberdeen we will find out next week. It has nothing to do with Carlisle.

mmeteesside
26th Feb 2019, 21:58
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see an SEN-MME-ABZ appear at some point... it links two (potentially, at least) Stobart bases, gives MME a 'London' link, as well as stepping on Eastern/Flybe's toes once again on a big oil market MME-ABZ. It also offers the ability to fill seats between ABZ and SEN offering an alternative to Eastern/Flybe's LCY service if timed correctly.

davidjohnson6
26th Feb 2019, 22:45
But who will be the passengers wanting to fly specifically between Southend and Durham Tees Valley ?

Expressflight
27th Feb 2019, 06:59
Interesting. Expressflight is usually one of the first to be aware of new developments at SEN. Any inkling, EF?
I had heard that this was imminent a couple of weeks ago so I'm as sure as I can be that it will be announced. I haven't heard which routes it will be although EDI and BHD were mentioned.

Southchurch Flyer
27th Feb 2019, 08:59
Southend airport now listed on the Loganair website as a destination. Also listed as a "To" destination from Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

runwayman
27th Feb 2019, 10:44
Loganair announcement at 1215PM today

ifu05596
27th Feb 2019, 10:50
Loganair announcement at 1215PM today
Glasgow and Aberdeen been loaded on to the website (3 to 4 daily). Some are tech stops to Stornoway.

Plane mad 134
27th Feb 2019, 11:27
Confirmed as Glasgow, Aberdeen and Stornoway to Southend with Edinburgh on the cards too.

DC3 Dave
27th Feb 2019, 12:13
Here's a little more info:

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/loganair-launch-flights-aberdeen-glasgow-14060486

BAladdy
27th Feb 2019, 14:29
Flights on sale on LM website. Schedule below

Aberdeen - 17 x Weekly

LM091 ABZ 06:50 SEN 08:25 ER4 x67
LM095 ABZ 13:25 SEN 15:00 ER4 x6
LM097 ABZ 17:40 SEN 19:15 ER4 x6

LM092 SEN 08:55 ABZ 10:30 ER4 x67
LM096 SEN 15:30 ABZ 17:00 ER4 x6
LM098 SEN 19:50 ABZ 21:25 ER4 x6

Glasgow - 17 x Weekly

LM241 GLA 06:40 SEN 08:00 ER4 x67
LM241 GLA 09:25 SEN 10:40 ER4 7
LM245 GLA 14:15 SEN 15:35 ER4 x67
LM247 GLA 18:00 SEN 19:20 ER4 x67
LM247 GLA 18:50 SEN 20:05 ER4 7

LM242 SEN 08:30 GLA 09:45 ER4 x67
LM242 SEN 11:10 GLA 12:30 ER4 7
LM246 SEN 16:15 GLA 17:30 ER4 x67
LM248 SEN 19:55 GLA 21:10 ER4 x67
LM248 SEN 20:35 GLA 21:55 ER4 7

Stornaway - 6 x Weekly

LM245 SYY 12:50 13:45 GLA 14:15 SEN 15:35 ER4 x67
LM247 SYY 17:25 18:20 GLA 18:50 SEN 20:05 ER4 7

LM242 SEN 08:30 09:45 GLA 10:15 SYY 11:10 ER4 x67
LM242 SEN 11:10 12:30 GLA 13:00 SYY 13:55 ER4 7

LTNman
27th Feb 2019, 15:58
Charge a great deal and need only a few passengers or discount heavily and hope for full aircraft?

Planespeaking
27th Feb 2019, 16:28
Charge a great deal and need only a few passengers or discount heavily and hope for full aircraft?
And it was always thus!

DC3 Dave
27th Feb 2019, 17:40

Well, the aircraft only has 49 seats. We know (and more importantly so do Loganair) from Stobart's previous efforts that they have every chance of filling that aircraft to GLA. As for Stornoway, I would suggest that no airline is better placed to make a success of the route.

ABZ is opportunistic with Eastern's ABZ - LCY now stopping en-route at NCL. Non-stop to SEN is a viable alternative.

To me this is great news. With EZY, FR and presumably more from Flybe/Virgin based at the airport it really needed a significant boost from an airline based elsewhere.

I think Loganair have every chance of success.

AirportPlanner1
27th Feb 2019, 17:47
I assume with that sort of schedule straightforward connections are available to Barra, Benbecular etc via GLA and Shetlands/Orkneys via ABZ. That would put the service at quite an advantage.

Barling Magna
28th Feb 2019, 07:43
Fares will start from £49.99 one-way to Aberdeen, £39.99 to Glasgow; and £99.99 one-way to Stornoway. Flights to Aberdeen will start on May 12 and Glasgow and Stornoway services will start on May 28.

SEN Observer
28th Feb 2019, 11:40
And now some not so good news.....

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17466575.air-maltas-italian-routes-pulled-from-southend-airport/

Barling Magna
2nd Mar 2019, 11:18
And now some better news from the Moldovan jury:

https://flyone.md/en

Chisinau to London Southend service from July, using an A319. Twice weekly until September when once weekly thereafter.

sam dilly
2nd Mar 2019, 13:08
More good news
Charter programme starting this summer with JOTA.
Programme that used to go from here on BAF Viscounts years ago.
Same tour operator as well.

aurigny72
2nd Mar 2019, 13:26
More good news
Charter programme starting this summer with JOTA.
Programme that used to go from here on BAF Viscounts years ago.
Same tour operator as well.
Thats intresting, what is the name of the tour company please?

Barling Magna
2nd Mar 2019, 15:13
http://www.tangney-tours.com/pilgrimages/lourdes/diocese-of-brentwood-2019

Expressflight
2nd Mar 2019, 15:15
I've been told it's Tangney Tours. They generally use Titan aircraft from STN but I wonder if the lease of three A321s to Jet2 this summer, plus their B737s being converted to freighters, has reduced their availability for Lourdes flights in S19 and Jota are taking on that work. Has it definitely been confirmed though that the flights will be from SEN or could they still be from STN I wonder.

Barling Magna
2nd Mar 2019, 15:23
From the above website:

21st July 2019 - Titan airways flight from London Stansted to Lourdes

21st July 2019 - Jota airlines flight from London Southend to Lourdes
26th July 2019 - Titan airways flight from Lourdes to London Stansted

26th July 2019 - Jota airlines flight from Lourdes to London Southend

Expressflight
2nd Mar 2019, 15:31
From the above website:
21st July 2019 - Titan airways flight from London Stansted to Lourdes
21st July 2019 - Jota airlines flight from London Southend to Lourdes
26th July 2019 - Titan airways flight from Lourdes to London Stansted
26th July 2019 - Jota airlines flight from Lourdes to London SouthendIn addition to those there is a day trip from SEN on 4th October, a two-day trip on 1st August and a six-day trip on 6th September.

rog747
2nd Mar 2019, 15:42
Back in my BMA days we did many Tarbes charters (for Lourdes pilgrims) for Cathedral Tours - mainly flying from Liverpool (Catholic) I think they have ceased trading now.

DC-9 or a Viscount with shed loads of WCHR's - 30 or 40 with many lift-on's all wanting to visit the Grotto at The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes - St Bernadette
She received several visions from the Virgin Mary starting in 1858.
This year 2019 celebrates the 175th anniversary of the birth of Bernadette Soubirous and the 140th anniversary of her death.

All rather lovely to load the aircraft with the pax all happy to be going on their pilgrimage - My disabled nephew and his son has been a few times.

daz211
4th Mar 2019, 11:25
Tweet from Southend airport, NEW ROUTE, SEN-CAX starts 04th July.

sam dilly
4th Mar 2019, 15:57
Yes it is going to be SEN, and yes it’s because Titan have now no airplanes with less than 130 Y
Tangneys have fixed about 20 Flights with JOTA mainly SEN , but ferrying to GLA, EDI, EXT and BRS on a few dates.

virginblue
5th Mar 2019, 14:04
I am not really vell-versed with that pilgrimage stuff - but given the relatively small percentage of Roman-Catholics in the UK and the general decline in worshipping etc. etc., I am surprised that there is still a market for such "aerial pilgrimages".

rog747
5th Mar 2019, 14:27
I am not really vell-versed with that pilgrimage stuff - but given the relatively small percentage of Roman-Catholics in the UK and the general decline in worshipping etc. etc., I am surprised that there is still a market for such "aerial pilgrimages".

Massive market - staying local have you ever been to Walsingham Norfolk>? the shrine there attracts 10000's

virginblue
5th Mar 2019, 14:48
Sure. But going to places far away by plane? Reason why I was asking is that in England and Wales there are roughly 4m Roman Catholics with fewer than 1m counted as regular mass goers in the whole of England & Wales (who, I suppose, are the target group for pilgrimages).

davidjohnson6
5th Mar 2019, 15:46
It is perhaps worth remembering that while Catholicism is not the dominant religion in the UK, those who follow this faith quite often spend a lot more of their time/money on matters of faith than the average UK resident and thus the numbers going to Lourdes is more than might be expected given the resident population number. Amongst those who are elderly or very ill and thus who are concerned with their mortality, praying at a shrine has a strong appeal. While not Catholic, I have seen the pilgrims at Lourdes - the religious devotion and atmosphere there is extraordinary

One can observe a similiar effect with the demand amongst Jews for flights to Israel or amongst Muslims wishing to go to Mecca or Sikhs travelling to Amritsar

BA318
5th Mar 2019, 16:07
Also don't forget a lot of Eastern Europeans are quite devout Catholics - Poles in particular have been credited with turning around falling church numbers in some areas.

virginblue
5th Mar 2019, 16:20
That sound more like a business case for a new WizzAir route from LTN to LDE :)

I guess such flights are quite a logistical challenge given that a lot of passengers will be elderly, weak and frail pilgrims who require assistance passing through the airport right up to the aircraft. Hope SEN has all the hardware in place for that.

SWBKCB
5th Mar 2019, 16:42
Lourdes flights have been operating from many UK airports for as long as I can remember - and yes lots of assistance needed, usually many wheelchairs.

Planespeaking
5th Mar 2019, 17:14
Lourdes flights have been operating from many UK airports for as long as I can remember - and use lots of assistance needed, usually many wheelchairs.
It's a great shame that the ' imaginary friend ' of your choice be it Christian, Muslim, or whoever doesn't kick in before a flight for a miracle is required.. On the other hand it does put bums in seats. Yes I know ... you are offended!

rog747
6th Mar 2019, 05:27
SEN has those U shaped ramps for boarding WCHR's which we never had back in our day at LHR or LPL when I was at BMA - we had to lift on about 30-40 WCHR's - either by hand (carry ons) or the
Hi-lift truck for the lift ons- I seem to recall the fire brigade guys did the WCHR carry-ons for us...

Tarbes have air bridges - but can you put a jetty on a 146?

virginblue
6th Mar 2019, 06:47
Yes, you can with the right type of jetbridge:

https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/2/96815_1057409193.jpg

Although I suspect it will be rather steep.

rog747
6th Mar 2019, 06:52

Indeed you can seen here at Tarbes Aéroport Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrénées: WDL Aviation: British Aerospace BAe-146-300: MSN E2028. - LES AVIONS QUI PASSENT A L'AEROPORT DE TARBES-LOURDES-PYRENEES,?AP?-?YPA, TARBA-LORDA, ATURBE-LURDA ET SUR D'AUTRE AEROPORT. (http://aeroporttlp.canalblog.com/archives/2009/09/25/15199353.html)

Expressflight
6th Mar 2019, 07:48
I boarded an RJ via a jetbridge at either LYS or VIE (cannot remember which) and I don't remember it feeling much different from 'normal'. SEN has Aviramp-style boarding ramps which they use for able-bodied pax as well as for disabled. Mind you one passenger I saw apparently couldn't believe he should use the ramp and climbed up the service ladder leading to the top ramp level, clutching his carry on bag. His wife followed his example.

Sharklet_321
6th Mar 2019, 07:58
Has the grooving of the runway been completed?

Expressflight
6th Mar 2019, 08:03
Has the grooving of the runway been completed?
Not yet but I heard about a week ago that 80% of the re-surfacing was complete and that the work programme was one week ahead of schedule. The schedule was for completion of the project by 22nd March.

tayair6
12th Mar 2019, 08:26
Flybe website is down until early tomorrow morning

tom7130
12th Mar 2019, 08:50
It’s from 8pm today until 5am

tayair6
12th Mar 2019, 10:03
Yes you are right my mistake not this morning. It is start shut down tonight.

DC3 Dave
14th Mar 2019, 07:24
Come on, be fair. Name another London airport where you could process everyone twice and they still make their flights.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17498599.chaos-at-southend-airport-after-fault-sees-passengers-evacuated/
​​​​​

N707ZS
14th Mar 2019, 12:44
Durham Tees Valley has officially joined the Stobart group today.

Expressflight
14th Mar 2019, 13:01
Durham Tees Valley has officially joined the Stobart group today.
I thought it was a case of Stobart taking just a small minority interest and it is more a case of it being a management contract.

SWBKCB
14th Mar 2019, 13:13
Yes it is - airport is owned by local government, and Stobart will have a 25% interest in the holding company which will operate the airport on behalf of the LA's.

Barling Magna
14th Mar 2019, 14:17
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17500357.stobart-group-announced-as-new-durham-tees-valley-airport-operator/

Barling Magna
14th Mar 2019, 14:21
I hope that their new involvement with DTV doesn't lead them to lose focus at Southend.

willy wombat
14th Mar 2019, 15:14
Stand by for the SEN-DTV route announcement!

stewyb
14th Mar 2019, 15:19
Stand by for the SEN-DTV route announcement!

bet that will be popular!

tophat27dt
14th Mar 2019, 15:41
bet that will be popular!
On PA31 Navajo !

Robert-Ryan
14th Mar 2019, 15:55
It'll do better than Carlisle!

aurigny72
22nd Mar 2019, 21:42
Now that the runway grooving is nearly finished does anyone know when the terminal extension is due to start?

Spanish eyes
23rd Mar 2019, 05:50
Blackpool used a tent for their terminal extension. It might be going spare now.

southside bobby
23rd Mar 2019, 05:53
Southend Skylife Lounge ranked worst by Which? in a survey of 21 pay as you go facilities at 9 airports in the UK.

Highlighted no hot food,no runway view,no sparkling wine,stained carpets dusted with crumbs & the food... a sad looking buffet inc unripe bananas.

Access costs £24 on the day.

Expressflight
23rd Mar 2019, 08:46
Southend Skylife Lounge ranked worst by Which? in a survey of 21 pay as you go facilities at 9 airports in the UK.
Highlighted no hot food,no runway view,no sparkling wine,stained carpets dusted with crumbs & the food... a sad looking buffet inc unripe bananas.
Access costs £24 on the day.
It doesn't seem that long since they announced the Lounge had been given a make-over. Obviously that didn't amount to much, although you wouldn't think it would be difficult to get the basics right.

DC3 Dave
23rd Mar 2019, 08:53
Very disappointing. 12 months ago urgent action was promised.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16080381.southend-airports-skylife-lounge-ranked-worst-in-new-survey-of-pay-as-you-go-lounges/

But as you can see nothing has changed.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-airport-lounge-ranked-worst-in-the-uk-a4099141.html

Falcon666
23rd Mar 2019, 09:19
No runway view— does that really matter, what sort of criteria are Which using these days.
Disappointing in general for food and cleanliness though.
Reading the Belfast thread they got hammered for no showers , spa etc.
Does the sky life lounge have any of these?

tws123
24th Mar 2019, 12:56
Now that the runway grooving is nearly finished does anyone know when the terminal extension is due to start?

The conditions for the planning application are in the process of being discharged, so potentially work could commence within the next few months.

aurigny72
24th Mar 2019, 22:49
Thanks tws123 for your info. It could get quite busy at peak times in departures and indeed in arrivals once the summer season starts with Ryanair, Easyjet, Loganair, Flybe and Blue Islands etc. I would have thought that the terminal extension would have been started a lot sooner.

mik3bravo
25th Mar 2019, 08:21
Very disappointing. 12 months ago urgent action was promised.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16080381.southend-airports-skylife-lounge-ranked-worst-in-new-survey-of-pay-as-you-go-lounges/

But as you can see nothing has changed.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-airport-lounge-ranked-worst-in-the-uk-a4099141.html

Used the lounge very recently. I travel extensively and use lounges throughout the world but I concur with the comments in the articles. Unfortunately, the Southend lounge is below average. Not sure you can call a pancake making machine and steam warmed hot dogs as sufficient hot food selection.

WiFi was congested too, yet there was only approx 10 people sitting in the lounge. No easy open view across the ramp and airfield, felt more like a GP's patient waiting room, with day glow artificial light lamps positioned in corners.

To finish on a positive, staff on front desk and inside the lounge were smiley, cheerful and very polite - staff deserve a thumbs up :ok:

SEN airport manage should constructively take onboard the comments (pardon the pun), revisit the situation, reposition it, natural light views of the airfield, review the hot food choices and presentation, it's not good right now, especially if lounge access annual membership card holders are paying premium for lounge access and service levels, which isn't being provided to a reasonable standard.

Bee Rexit
26th Mar 2019, 09:56
When do Ryanair arrive? Runway must be nearing completion as people near me have started noticing the overnight noise due to the works. I haven't, I sleep like a log!

DC3 Dave
26th Mar 2019, 10:24
Ryanair will commence flights one week today, 2nd April.

tws123
26th Mar 2019, 14:08
Had a great flight with EZY the other day into SEN on board an A320 (not the NEO). Was surprised how quick the landing was, especially with a full flight too. Landed on Runway 23 and exited off of Taxiway C, no backtracking needed.

mik3bravo
26th Mar 2019, 18:24
Ryanair will commence flights one week today, 2nd April.
I've friends coming in on the new FR SEN service when it starts up. Interested to hear what they think.
Take it the airport will have the Fire tenders out for the arched hose welcome together with media from Heart, Echo, ITV London News, etc

tws123
27th Mar 2019, 22:58
Air Malta will operate a number of direct Catania flights this April and May.

mik3bravo
28th Mar 2019, 08:11
Wow. Met with dazzle of blue and yellow and Ryanair decal adverts carpetted all over c2c train station entry and exit barriers to platforms - prominently in bold yellow SOUTHEND

Good advert campaigning - very visible, it's everywhere :ok:

SEN Observer
1st Apr 2019, 06:49
Does anyone have any idea, please, what time the FR 738s are due to position in? Would be interesting to see.

Expressflight
1st Apr 2019, 07:20
The three aircraft should be EI-GDZ, EI-GJG plus another, with ETA SEN around 11:30L, 1145L and 12:00L. Landing on 05 today I should imagine.

SWBKCB
1st Apr 2019, 08:09
Just curious, but does anybody know why flights are launching on Tuesday the second, rather than Monday the first of April?

SEN Observer
1st Apr 2019, 09:24
The three aircraft should be EI-GDZ, EI-GJG plus another, with ETA SEN around 11:30L, 1145L and 12:00L. Landing on 05 today I should imagine.
Thanks very much Expressflight

AirportPlanner1
1st Apr 2019, 10:00
Just curious, but does anybody know why flights are launching on Tuesday the second, rather than Monday the first of April?

I don’t know, but a question I’ve always wondered (not unique to SEN) is why airlines do perverse things just to fit in with summer/winter schedules when they don’t need to. For example, the Stobart DUB route would surely have been better ending yesterday or today rather than Saturday. This would have enabled rather than block the busy weekend market, and given continuity until the FR take over tomorrow. Similarly surely the Newquay route would be better starting on Thursday or Friday, or even pushed back a couple of weeks to Easter.

CCFAIRPORT
1st Apr 2019, 12:02
just curious to know the load factor for the FR flight to PMI tomorrow !
I can say that the EZY flight is empty ! i mean 119 to PMI and only 29 on the way back
I checked the loads for PMI flights the whole month (EZY) and the figures are not high
just how FR hope having the fights full ? i know it s only the beginning of the season and my question is stupid

Expressflight
1st Apr 2019, 12:54
just curious to know the load factor for the FR flight to PMI tomorrow !
I can say that the EZY flight is empty ! i mean 119 to PMI and only 29 on the way back

Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to have looked at the EZY seat selection plan for tomorrow's SEN-PMI to determine the number of seats sold. That isn't always a reliable indicator. On the same basis the first RYR flight to PMI show an almost identical number of seats reserved so, while not saying that your question is "stupid", I'm not sure what that tells us for the future - probably nothing.

tophat27dt
1st Apr 2019, 13:16
Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to have looked at the EZY seat selection plan for tomorrow's SEN-PMI to determine the number of seats sold. That isn't always a reliable indicator. On the same basis the first RYR flight to PMI show an almost identical number of seats reserved so, while not saying that your question is "stupid", I'm not sure what that tells us for the future - probably nothing.
Very true. The day before I flew LUX-LCY to choose my seat, the seat plan showed at least 20 empty seats. On the actual departure, there were only 2 empty seats.

CCFAIRPORT
1st Apr 2019, 13:17

i m cabin crew for EZS based in GVA that's why I can know the figures :)

AirportPlanner1
1st Apr 2019, 13:32
29 would be about normal for the first week of flights, even lower can be expected. It’s completely normal. There has been a sudden ramping up of frequency compared to last week across the UK, so there’s few pax already in PMI to go around. Come the end of October it will be the same pattern in reverse.

stewyb
1st Apr 2019, 18:04
Great day for SEN having RYR arrive in addition to EZY. Seemed like the brakes on the empty 738 were being pressed harder on landing than the 320 and will be interesting to see its field performance out of the airport!

rog747
1st Apr 2019, 18:29
Great day for SEN having RYR arrive in addition to EZY. Seemed like the brakes on the empty 738 were being pressed harder on landing than the 320 and will be interesting to see its field performance out of the airport!

Auto brake number? https://youtu.be/9mV_l7JL2nA?t=44

stewyb
1st Apr 2019, 18:37
Auto brake number? https://youtu.be/9mV_l7JL2nA?t=44

sorry Rog, unsure what you mean?

rog747
1st Apr 2019, 18:42
sorry Rog, unsure what you mean?

Flaps 30 and AB setting 2 or 3

mik3bravo
2nd Apr 2019, 07:04
Heart Essex FM 8am news this morning - opening news item announcement of Ryanair new services based at Southend, creating 750 new jobs in the area.

Positive, positive, positive :ok:

ATNotts
2nd Apr 2019, 08:00
Heart Essex FM 8am news this morning - opening news item announcement of Ryanair new services based at Southend, creating 750 new jobs in the area.

Standard lift from a Ryanair press release, so many aircraft, so many passengers, so many jobs!!

If they're around in 2 years that will be a great success story. Not being negative, or suggesting they will or they won't, just saying that FR are rarely in it for the long haul, unless they are coining it, without detracting from profitability of other bases.

AirportPlanner1
2nd Apr 2019, 08:02
It looks like the DUB route is off to a weak start as I predicted. If you compare similar times (circa 19:00 out tonight, 23:00 return and 06:30 out tomorrow, return 09:30) the following number of people are checked in:

Southend: 146
Stansted: 233
Luton: 313
Gatwick: 403 (this isn’t quite like-for-like first/last are later/earlier)

Hopefully the route will pick up, but the 06:30 departure and 23:30 arrival look particularly low as I suggested would be the case based on previous experience. This shows the critical need for a proper put-of-hours service to London.

But overall hopefully the wider FR operation will do good things.

DC3 Dave
2nd Apr 2019, 08:27
Both SEN-DUB flights are sold out on Friday, but as it's the start of the school holidays that's as it should be.

shamrock7seal
2nd Apr 2019, 08:58
Looking at the pricing SEN-DUB actually looks pretty strong (when compared with other UK regional to Dublin services)

LTNman
2nd Apr 2019, 11:32

You don't believe that rubbish do you?

stewyb
2nd Apr 2019, 12:08
You don't believe that rubbish do you?

750 on-site jobs 😂

Sharklet_321
2nd Apr 2019, 13:01
So how were the load factors on the first Ryanair services so far today?

LTNman
2nd Apr 2019, 14:13
The question should be were they profitable today?

Planespeaking
2nd Apr 2019, 14:22

No that is not the question. Very few routes are profitable on the first day, it takes time to establish a route and discover what fare is sustainable. It also depends on airport charges and handling fees, although Ryanair is renowned for taking no prisoners when it comes to negotiating costs.

Expressflight
2nd Apr 2019, 15:01
So how were the load factors on the first Ryanair services so far today?
I've seen reliable figures only on the ALC and PMI departures and they were 190 and 166 pax respectively.

CCFAIRPORT
2nd Apr 2019, 16:43
I just noticed that the Cluj Napoca flight is 10 hours late ..... :(

NickBarnes
2nd Apr 2019, 17:05
I just noticed that the Cluj Napoca flight is 10 hours late ..... :(

I think its suppose to depart at 16:50 so I think that's a flightradar24 error if your looking at that :)

CCFAIRPORT
2nd Apr 2019, 19:08
I think its suppose to depart at 16:50 so I think that's a flightradar24 error if your looking at that :)

oh sorry ! my mistake :)

NickBarnes
2nd Apr 2019, 19:44
oh sorry ! my mistake :)

No need to apologise, I've fallen foul to flightradars inaccuracies on occasion :O

aurigny72
2nd Apr 2019, 20:40
That is a rather silly question LTNman on the first day of ops by any airline at a new base. I would have thought that someone like you with your aviation knowledge would have known better to post this.

DC3 Dave
2nd Apr 2019, 20:41

Come on. Admit it. You put that comment out there because you want to be hired by them. And if MOL has seen it, a senior position could be yours by the end of the week.

DC3 Dave
2nd Apr 2019, 21:03
Just thought I'd add this link to the local paper. Question is: Can Glyn Jones count or has he spilled the beans regarding easyJet's next move?

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17544933.southend-airports-ryanair-boost-means-it-is-now-competing-with-gatwick-and-stansted/

LTNman
2nd Apr 2019, 21:14
That is a rather silly question LTNman on the first day of ops by any airline at a new base. I would have thought that someone like you with your aviation knowledge would have known better to post this.

It was actually a tongue-in-cheek comment but was lost on here as I was commenting on this groups obsession with load factors.

No arguing that it was a good day for Southend.

tayair6
3rd Apr 2019, 07:26
It has been good day at SEN. I’ve watch theLoads factor of Ryanair in outbound pax has been impressive good numbers.
The inbound was less that was expected in first week. But DUB morning run inbound was about 100plus and another 2 also
i can’t remember which one showing good numbers of pax inbound. Not bad for first day.

Pilot238239
3rd Apr 2019, 08:19
Just thought I'd add this link to the local paper. Question is: Can Glyn Jones count or has he spilled the beans regarding easyJet's next move?

The funny thing is RYR are currently saying they will bring 1M passengers to the airport this year, yet there are only 39 weeks left this year meaning every flight being full only brings in around 464,000 people.

Kind of similar to the 750 on site jobs!

SEN Observer
3rd Apr 2019, 09:53
Have just seen the 10:10 arrival from Dublin touch down on runway 23 at 09:59. It turned off at Charlie without needing a backtrack. Quite impressive!

OpsSix
3rd Apr 2019, 15:20
I've seen reliable figures only on the ALC and PMI departures and they were 190 and 166 pax respectively.

190? Not bad for an aircraft with 189 seats.

NickBarnes
3rd Apr 2019, 15:24
190? Not bad for an aircraft with 189 seats.

Probably an Infant I'd expect to get that figure

OpsSix
3rd Apr 2019, 15:36
Probably an Infant I'd expect to get that figure

189+1 then.

tophat27dt
3rd Apr 2019, 16:31
189+1 then.
Simple maths, innit

Expressflight
3rd Apr 2019, 18:27
189+1 then.

OK, if you want to be pedantic, technically it's 189+1. Happy?

DC3 Dave
3rd Apr 2019, 19:31

No! Definitely not. If there were 20 lap sitting infants then it would have been 170 + 20. Which would have left 19 empty seats, which would have added up to - if sold - 189 + 20 = 209. Unless, of course, some or all of those 19 had infants on their laps then who knows what it would add up to?

I never imagined that the arrival of Ryanair would bring such excitement.

Planespeaking
3rd Apr 2019, 19:52
No! Definitely not. If there were 20 lap sitting infants then it would have been 170 + 20. Which would have left 19 empty seats, which would have added up to - if sold - 189 + 20 = 209. Unless, of course, some or all of those 19 had infants on their laps then who knows what it would add up to?

I never imagined that the arrival of Ryanair would bring such excitement.

Oh dear what's going to happen when you lads have something in life that's really serious to worry about!

SEN is on the up after having been on life support for years...be pleased!

mik3bravo
3rd Apr 2019, 22:21
The funny thing is RYR are currently saying they will bring 1M passengers to the airport this year, yet there are only 39 weeks left this year meaning every flight being full only brings in around 464,000 people.

Kind of similar to the 750 on site jobs!

Are you sure you are not mistaken. Was it not 1m pax in first 12 months:

It estimated it will fly one million passengers a year on 13 routes to eight countries, also including the Republic of Ireland, Greece, Portugal and Italy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47784734

OpsSix
4th Apr 2019, 07:11

Tell a Dispatcher they've got a TOB (total on board) of 190 and you've got a problem. Tell them 189+1 and you've got an on time departure so no, I'm not being pedantic.

Expressflight
4th Apr 2019, 08:24

Early days of course but nearly all the 23 arrivals have cleared via Charlie which means around 950m of the available 1604m LDA is being used. The plan was to use autobrake setting 2 or 3 for landings at SEN. For departure they de-rate according to weight but I expect TOGA will sometimes be needed as OATs rise.
I hope this might help answer your question stewby.

Disclaimer: This information comes from my own observations and information given to me by RYR flight deck crew and any small deficiencies in exact terminology is the fault of the author and will no doubt be pointed out to me.

Sharklet_321
4th Apr 2019, 09:10
Expressflight, so a 737-800 only needs 950m of runway to land? In theory does that mean it could land at LCY?

Can anyone tell me why ALL 737-800's are not fitted with this short-field performance as standard? Is there any penalty? Added weight? Added complexity???

Can you advise how much of the TODA is being used?