PDA

View Full Version : Southend-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

asdf1234
18th Dec 2019, 11:13
Just been confirmed that the threatened strike at SEN is to take place on the 24th, 25th and 26th December after talks at ACAS failed to find a solution to the Union's issues surrounding staff safety and training.

asdf1234
18th Dec 2019, 15:48
And in other news:

1. Councillors have raised night time noise issues with airport and told all flights are within existing planning constraints. I wonder when the Council will wake up to the fact that using the Quota Count noise system implemented at LHR, LGW and STN is just not suitable for a short runway airport such as SEN? Most probably never.

2. Ryanair launch twice weekly Girona route for S2020.

Expressflight
18th Dec 2019, 16:02
asdf1234

Surely the RYR SEN-GRO route was announced weeks ago was it not?

I'm prepared to be persuaded, but why is the Quota Count noise system not suitable for "a short runway airport such as SEN" yet appropriate for LHR, LGW and STN?

LTNman
18th Dec 2019, 18:41
I think we just have to accept that no matter how full or high yielding Wizz flights are at SEN the airline’s preference is to be at LTN. Flights and routes will inevitably come and go depending on capacity at LTN. This is just a budget version of what has long occurred between LGW/STN and LHR.

I take the view that Southend is more than welcome to grab Wizz flights from LTN as I and other locals are plagued by noisy Wizz aircraft despite living over a mile away from the side of the runway. Can't imagine what it must be like living around Wells Avenue as it must be hell.

With the UK leaving the EU I would imagine there will be a slow decline in London passenger numbers as some migrants drift home and are not replaced so I would think there will be a retreat to fortress Luton at some point. Also the council will soon vote on a planning application to increase not only noise but passenger figures to 19 million. They can do this repeatedly to 22.5 million as this is the stated capacity within the existing boundary although they did claim once it was 18 million.

scodaman
1st Jan 2020, 23:08
Story from just before xmas about a Loganair E145 being 'too heavy' to take off from Southend so 5 passengers had to get off.

“When the weather cleared at Derry, a combination of low pressure and rainfall left the runway surface at Southend in a condition which imposed limitations on the aircraft performance. The aircraft was consequently over its maximum available take-off weight for the conditions. "

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/derry-flight-loganair-southend-heavy-plane-weight-limit-a9259266.html

LTNman
2nd Jan 2020, 05:07
Makes me think that the Embraer must be a very marginal aircraft for Southend if it cannot fly a domestic route without offloading passengers while for Easyjet and Ryanair it was just another day unless they also had to off load passengers which wasn’t reported.

Found this very interesting article about air density and other weather issues making a difference to runway performance.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/AP4ATCO_-_Factors_Affecting_Aircraft_Performance_During_Takeoff_and_C limb

AirportPlanner1
2nd Jan 2020, 06:36
The article suggests it had a lot of baggage as well as a full load of pax so probably any other day of the year and any other conditions this wouldn’t have been a problem.

Its quite a non-story, only becoming a ‘story’ because one of their ‘journalists’ was amongst the pax.

stewyb
2nd Jan 2020, 12:19
More worrying is it cost £200 for a one way flight!!

SWBKCB
2nd Jan 2020, 13:29

Sigh - so how much do you think a one-way ticket at peak time on a long thin, domestic route by regional jet should be??

LTNman
2nd Jan 2020, 13:51
Better to be £200 and make a profit rather than the route only supporting £40 fares and the route gets pulled.

TartinTon
2nd Jan 2020, 20:33
I'd rather pay £200 than try and swim it

AirportPlanner1
2nd Jan 2020, 20:48

Quite the opposite, if people are paying £200 that’s great for the airline, great for the route and great for Southend.

DC3 Dave
13th Jan 2020, 09:14
The Flybe news is surely going to have an impact on SEN. Could this be disastrous for Stobart? Or is the situation under control and one Southend Airport could actually gain from as Virgin Connect find a legal way to lose all the parts of Flybe they don't want, and "save" what they need to provide the means to support their objectives, one of which was significant growth at SEN?

The only thing that puzzles me is why they didn't let Flybe go under before stumping up the cash to keep it going a year ago.

Expressflight
13th Jan 2020, 10:28
I cannot see this being good news for Stobart.

Their shares have fallen 7% this morning and I wonder if Stobart have put cash into Connect which was in turn loaned to Flybe to sustain operations so far. It could be that a Pre Pack Sale deal might be done to extract the viable parts of the Flybe operation while leaving the rest for the liquidators to deal with. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that and financing can be found to keep Flybe in the air - if only for the sake of its employees and customers.

asdf1234
13th Jan 2020, 11:57
I cannot see this being good news for Stobart.

Their shares have fallen 7% this morning and I wonder if Stobart have put cash into Connect which was in turn loaned to Flybe to sustain operations so far. It could be that a Pre Pack Sale deal might be done to extract the viable parts of the Flybe operation while leaving the rest for the liquidators to deal with. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that and financing can be found to keep Flybe in the air - if only for the sake of its employees and customers.

The share price drop might be to do with Stobart's long term majority shareholder and owner (Invesco) selling over half their shares to an activist fund manager. The market will need to work out why Invesco are selling down, what plans the activist fund manager has for Stobart going forward (activist fund managers get actively involved in the running of the company), and of course, what effect the FlyBe news has / will have on revenues at SEN.

SARF
13th Jan 2020, 13:43
Stobart bought into Flybe for next to nothing The question is did they sink more money into,it or are they part of the whole asset stripping scam

Expressflight
13th Jan 2020, 13:57
Stobart bought into Flybe for next to nothing The question is did they sink more money into,it or are they part of the whole asset stripping scam

As far as I recall Stobart contributed their aircraft leasing asset business (previously called Propius) and Stobart Air (the AOC holding company) in return for their 30% share in Connect Airways. Whether they had also to contribute cash to keep Flybe afloat I don't know.

SARF
14th Jan 2020, 11:24
For connect airways you can probably read Heathrow slot merchants now

asdf1234
14th Jan 2020, 12:12
As far as I recall Stobart contributed their aircraft leasing asset business (previously called Propius) and Stobart Air (the AOC holding company) in return for their 30% share in Connect Airways. Whether they had also to contribute cash to keep Flybe afloat I don't know.

Any govt. support for FlyBe is conditional on all 3 owners, including Stobart, pledging cash sums to support the airline going forward.

At the time of the creation of Connect Airways, Stobart gave the aircraft and AOC in lieu of a cash contribution as they didn't have the cash to spend. I'm not sure where Stobart are going to find the cash now needed to support a govt. deal.

SWBKCB
14th Jan 2020, 13:03
Sure I read somewhere that the current crisis was caused by Stobart and the venture capitalist not liking the way things were going so hadn't put in what was expected?

SARF
14th Jan 2020, 21:52
Any city diversions today ?

LTNman
15th Jan 2020, 05:02
All the ones I viewed on flightradar 24 last night ended up in Birmingham. Also saw an inbound Easyjet to Southend also track in the direction of Birmingham.

tophat27dt
15th Jan 2020, 06:06
Any city diversions today ?
Yes, we received KLM, Lufthansa, Luxair, Aer Lingus and CFE.

asdf1234
15th Jan 2020, 07:09
Andrew Tinkler has sold his remaining shares in Stobart Group. At the same time Invesco has divested a further tranche of shares reducing their holding over the past week from 25% to 11%.

Red Four
15th Jan 2020, 08:23
Tosca Fund has allegedly been picking up shares at a good rate recently.

Barling Magna
15th Jan 2020, 12:17
Ah, the Rottweiller has his eyes on Stobart....

Buster the Bear
15th Jan 2020, 23:04
Tosca own nearly 12% now.

runwayman
16th Jan 2020, 08:33
Wideroe to fly daily to Kristiansand from 29th March with DHC-8-Q402 Dash 8

SWBKCB
16th Jan 2020, 08:39
Wideroe to fly daily to Kristiansand from 29th March with DHC-8-Q402 Dash 8

Is that a switch from STN, or an additional flight?

Red Four
16th Jan 2020, 09:02
It is a switch.

asdf1234
16th Jan 2020, 11:31
The owners of SEN issued this statement recently. From it it can be seen that the owners have to pump additional funds into FlyBe which will mean a corresponding reduction of funds availabke for investment in the airport.Stobart Group, the aviation, energy and civil engineering group, provides the following update in relation to its investment in Connect Airways.

Connect Airways is made up of a consortium of shareholders encompassing Cyrus Capital (40%), Virgin Atlantic (30%) and Stobart Group (30%) that acquired the assets of Flybe. The shareholder consortium has to date provided £110m of funds to Connect Airways, and Stobart Group has invested £45m through a combination of cash and the sale of Stobart Air, Stobart Group's regional airline, and its aircraft leasing business, Propius.

The Connect Airways consortium has worked tirelessly alongside Flybe and the UK Government to look for solutions to ensure the financial viability of the airline so that consumers can continue to have confidence in flying with Flybe.

Following these discussions, it has been agreed that;

· As announced, the Government will review the application of Airline Passenger Duty (APD), with the intention to provide a further update at the time of the March Budget.

· The Government has further announced a review of regional connectivity. Government support for regional routes that connect key parts of the UK economy would further enhance the viability of UK domestic flight provision, as well as supporting economic growth in those regions.

· The Connect Airways consortium has committed to providing Flybe further short-term funding with Stobart Group contributing up to £9m of capital, with the funds drawn down only if required.

Background to the investment in Connect Airways

The combination of Flybe with Stobart Air and Propius provides the opportunity to establish a compelling proposition with a comprehensive regional network in the UK and Ireland while enabling Stobart Group to concentrate on its strategic focus for developing airport and aviation services assets.

The investment further provided the potential for growth at London Southend Airport, which is in turn owned by Stobart Group. On 13 November 2019, Flybe announced its intention to offer flights to 10 destinations from London Southend Airport from Summer 2020. These destinations are expected to attract circa 500,000 passengers annually to London Southend Airport.

However, though the Consortium announced its intention to acquire the assets of Flybe in January 2019, it did not receive merger control clearance from the European Commission for its acquisition of Flybe until 5 July 2019. The delay in receiving control, coupled with a number of other factors including legacy issues, impacted on the delivery of the Consortium's turnaround plan for Flybe. This resulted in a situation in which a further injection of funds is required to ensure continued flying.

Expressflight
16th Jan 2020, 12:28
Welcome back Wideroe - it's been a long time!

SWBKCB
16th Jan 2020, 12:35
and Stobart Group has invested £45m through a combination of cash and the sale of Stobart Air, Stobart Group's regional airline, and its aircraft leasing business, Propius.

Can't get my head round this comment - what is meant by the reference to the sale of Stobart Air and Propius? to whom - the new company? How does that work?

However, though the Consortium announced its intention to acquire the assets of Flybe in January 2019, it did not receive merger control clearance from the European Commission for its acquisition of Flybe until 5 July 2019. The delay in receiving control, coupled with a number of other factors including legacy issues, impacted on the delivery of the Consortium's turnaround plan for Flybe.

Surely the referral can't have been a surprise, nor the length of time the clearance would take?

Expressflight
16th Jan 2020, 12:57
SWBKCB

Stobart contributed Stobart Air and Propius as assets to Connect Airways in return for their 30% shareholding. I don't know at what value and therefore if any actual cash was contributed at the start.

asdf1234
16th Jan 2020, 14:29
SWBKCB

Stobart contributed Stobart Air and Propius as assets to Connect Airways in return for their 30% shareholding. I don't know at what value and therefore if any actual cash was contributed at the start.
The Stobart Group accounts and financial presentations are always murkier than mud but from memory I recall that the value of the airframes and AOC was £40m, given in lieu of a cash injection. For this Stobart received 30% interest in the new Connect Airways. Given the latest info in the statement today I assume that at some point Stobart put in another £5m in cash. This ties in with the total cash injected figure of £110m. Cyrus has 30% so would have put in £45m cash, Virgin has 40% so would have put in £60m. Stobart has 30% and put in £5m cash and £40m in assets.
If Stobart are liable for a further (maximum) £9m we can deduce that the short-term funding requirement to keep Flybe afloat is £30m shared pro-rata amongst the 3 shareholders.

SWBKCB
16th Jan 2020, 14:38
I thought it was Cyrus 40% and Virgin 30%? So what is the relationship between Flybe and Connect Airways i.e. what would have happened to Stobarts stake if Flybe had gone into administration?

Jamesair
16th Jan 2020, 15:28
Correct....Cyrus 40%, Virgin 30% and Stobart 30% making 100%

Red Four
16th Jan 2020, 16:57
Tosca own nearly 12% now.
Gone up to 18.8% now, according to RNS.

DC3 Dave
16th Jan 2020, 18:18

54 years!

Nice sensible flight times and about £100 return. I can manage that but will have to save up for a couple of beers!

tws123
21st Jan 2020, 19:15
I see that Flybe are now codesharing with Loganair on the Aberdeen route.

Codeshare flight numbers:

BE7461 ABZ - SEN
BE7462 SEN - ABZ

BE7467 ABZ - SEN
BE7468 SEN - ABZ

tws123
22nd Jan 2020, 15:12
Jota will be operating multiple charter flights to Lourdes on behalf of Tangney Travel, operating between 17 July 2020 and 2 October 2020. Appear to have at least 7 departure dates according to the source below.

www.tangney-tours.com/images/pdf/flights/Tangney-Tours-flight-dates-V3.1.pdf (https://www.tangney-tours.com/images/pdf/flights/Tangney-Tours-flight-dates-V3.1.pdf)

Buster the Bear
25th Jan 2020, 19:40

The Norwegian airline will fly daily to the beautiful Kristiansand from 29th March!

Asturias56
26th Jan 2020, 08:30
54 years!

Nice sensible flight times and about £100 return. I can manage that but will have to save up for a couple of beers!

They'll accept the deeds to your house as security for the beers..................

N707ZS
26th Jan 2020, 10:08
AAIB report for Cessna 210 tow bar incident.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5e1eefade5274a4f0733ab32/EMB-145EP_G-SAJK_Cessna_P120N_G-CDMH_02-20.pdf

SARF
26th Jan 2020, 17:04
What a fantastic report.. it show how aviation safety is one of the best systems in the world ..
no blame no squealing no scapegoating.. everyone being up front and honest and a simple cheap,solution,put in place. Oh and a reminder that when you have had a stressful day you take a moment to ‘get your sh.t together before you strap,in

OpsSix
26th Jan 2020, 19:54
A runway inspection looking at the sky... Hmm. 🙄

N707ZS
26th Jan 2020, 22:43
Obvious the prop doesn't reach the tow bar. Amazed the pilot didn't here the tow bar scraping along the taxiway and runway.

asdf1234
27th Jan 2020, 00:02
Obvious the prop doesn't reach the tow bar. Amazed the pilot didn't here the tow bar scraping along the taxiway and runway.
I've read AAIB reports of GA pilots taking off with the tie down weights still attached to the wings. You would have thought the banging and scraping could be heard over the engine but apparently not.

To err is what humans do and to catch the errors before they become accidents is what we strive do to in the operational environment. The runway inspection should have picked up on the error made by the pilot but didn't. That's because the inspection was performed by a human, and he erred. As often happens in Aviation, a mistake was made, all involved survived, the AAIB identified the root causes and we all get to learn a valuable lesson. Painting tow bars in high visibility markings will help both pilots and runway inspection drivers less likely to make the same mistake again.

Expressflight
31st Jan 2020, 06:30
Increased Train Usage at SEN

A report by Airport World says that 47% of passengers going through SEN between December 3 2019 and January 6 2020 used the train.

Of the remainder 24% were dropped off by friends/family and just 17% drove and parked at SEN. I suspect that the introduction of three Wizz destinations has contributed to the numbers using the train as this has increased from 33% a year earlier. The addition of early and late trains to the schedule will also have helped drive this increase.

DC3 Dave
31st Jan 2020, 10:21

A report by Airport World says that 47% of passengers going through SEN between December 3 2019 and January 6 2020 used the train.

Of the remainder 24% were dropped off by friends/family and just 17% drove and parked at SEN. I suspect that the introduction of three Wizz destinations has contributed to the numbers using the train as this has increased from 33% a year earlier. The addition of early and late trains to the schedule will also have helped drive this increase.

Stobart will be happy as 91% of the income from ticket sales to and from the airport is theirs. You have to take into account that they built the station and manage it, but it will continue to be a major revenue stream as the airport grows.

brian_dromey
31st Jan 2020, 11:00

Thats quite a high number. I think thats highest of any UK airport by quite a distance. At Heathrow 28% use rail and 13% bus/coach, 59% car or taxi. I think MAN is something like 30% for all public transport modalities combined (Train, Tram and Bus/Coach). Well done to SEN if they have achieved such a high proportion of train use, butWhat have they done differently to other airports which also have rail & bus interchanges on-site? Are there lessons which can be learned?
I wonder if the methodology used is quite right, given the gap is so large? Have they taken all passengers through the terminal and all users through the airport station? Not all station users will be airport passengers, there might be a fair number of employees and commuters too. Even if there are relatively few in number if the average computer is doing 4 journeys a week that will soon mount up - especially over a short sample period.

LTNman
31st Jan 2020, 12:42
Sort of indicates that the airport does not have good road access but passengers using the train is better than using the car. Gatwick is around 32%. Luton is around 16% but aims for the Gatwick figure.

BA318
31st Jan 2020, 12:44
Thats quite a high number. I think thats highest of any UK airport by quite a distance. At Heathrow 28% use rail and 13% bus/coach, 59% car or taxi. I think MAN is something like 30% for all public transport modalities combined (Train, Tram and Bus/Coach). Well done to SEN if they have achieved such a high proportion of train use, butWhat have they done differently to other airports which also have rail & bus interchanges on-site? Are there lessons which can be learned?
I wonder if the methodology used is quite right, given the gap is so large? Have they taken all passengers through the terminal and all users through the airport station? Not all station users will be airport passengers, there might be a fair number of employees and commuters too. Even if there are relatively few in number if the average computer is doing 4 journeys a week that will soon mount up - especially over a short sample period.

I think the highest is LCY. In 2017 it was 69% of passengers arriving by public transport.

The lack of coach links probably pushes more people towards the train than other airports where there is more alternatives.

Sharklet_321
31st Jan 2020, 16:16
Southend is now a 2m passenger airport! 2019 delivered 2,035,535 passengers which is up 37.5%

Red Four
31st Jan 2020, 17:03
Southend is now a 2m passenger airport! 2019 delivered 2,035,535 passengers which is up 37.5%
Indeed, and (for whatever reason) that does not include the handful of flights for Chisinau service since mid-July.

brian_dromey
31st Jan 2020, 21:45
I think the highest is LCY. In 2017 it was 69% of passengers arriving by public transport.

The lack of coach links probably pushes more people towards the train than other airports where there is more alternatives.

That would make sense, I forgot about LCY. I wonder if there is a difference in public transport use by Frequent Flyers, Short Haul, Long Haul, IT Charter and LCC passengers. I can see multiple ways to argue who would be more likely to use a given mode of transport. My guess is that single travellers are more likely to use public transport and families of 3+ less likely to use public transport, because fares mount up, when charged per-person. Parking and Taxis are more competitive as the party size increases.

DC3 Dave
3rd Feb 2020, 14:14
New route from Ryanair.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18207278.ryanair-announces-new-route-southend-rodez-france/

asdf1234
3rd Feb 2020, 22:32
New route from Ryanair.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18207278.ryanair-announces-new-route-southend-rodez-france/

So 24 flights in total?

Barling Magna
3rd Feb 2020, 22:45
SEN didn't have that many in 2009. Just a Saturday summer service to Jersey. How times change......

Expressflight
4th Feb 2020, 06:59
As far as I can see Rodez is not yet bookable despite the Ryanair spokesman in the Echo story saying it is.

tophat27dt
4th Feb 2020, 08:27
As far as I can see Rodez is not yet bookable despite the Ryanair spokesman in the Echo story saying it is.
Also seems strange that Kosice and Copenhagen are still on the drop down list, although no dates are available.

Expressflight
4th Feb 2020, 18:14
The Rodez flights are Monday and Friday from 3 July until 28 September. I started looking to see how these will fit into the schedule and find that there is no Monday SEN-DUB from 6 July until 28 September - very odd.

EI-BUD
14th Feb 2020, 20:27
I looked at options to fly to London Southend this weekend only to find for the 3rd consecutive time that trains are not running due to engineering works.

Can I ask to those that know, are there engineering works every weekend or have I just been unfortunate on 3 ocassions?

The second time this happened I emailed the airport and they said you'd need to contact the railway company.
This used to happen at Stansted years ago, so much so I just never bother using STN. SEN can be a pleasant change to LHR & LGW...and often at very competitive prices.

aurigny72
14th Feb 2020, 21:11
I looked at options to fly to London Southend this weekend only to find for the 3rd consecutive time that trains are not running due to engineering works.

Can I ask to those that know, are there engineering works every weekend or have I just been unfortunate on 3 ocassions?

The second time this happened I emailed the airport and they said you'd need to contact the railway company.
This used to happen at Stansted years ago, so much so I just never bother using STN. SEN can be a pleasant change to LHR & LGW...and often at very competitive prices.
The engineering work will finally finish on the weekend of March 21/22, although there will be one further weekend of final closure on April 18-19 for drainage purposes. Thank goodness for that.

EI-BUD
14th Feb 2020, 21:46
Thanks Aurigny

DC3 Dave
14th Feb 2020, 22:02
[QUOTE=aurigny72;10687832]The engineering work will finally finish on the weekend of March 21/22, although there will be one further weekend of final closure on April 18-19 for drainage purposes. Thank goodness for that.[/QUOTE
Sorry, it won't .

The routine work that every railway requires is now carried out during weekend shutdowns because this is so more cost effective than getting a small army of people to do the work between the last train and the first train next day and reduces the risk to the contractors of penalties for overrunning works. It's a scandal that's been going on for the last 10-15 years with the excuse they are "upgrading the network"

LTNman
15th Feb 2020, 00:57
Not helped by the fact that there is only 2 tracks rather than 4.

SARF
17th Feb 2020, 13:17
I reckon Hs 2 would be cheaper than whacking 2 extra lines through some of that real estate

Expressflight
18th Feb 2020, 07:19
Thats quite a high number.

You raised those interesting points when I reported in post number 3799 that 46% of SEN passengers used the train. The Airport Consultative Committee Minutes for their September 2019 meeting say that "The airport has commissioned the CAA to conduct continual passenger travel surveys in the airport departures area." Assuming it was the result of one of these CAA surveys that was being reported on, that would suggest that only air travellers, and not any other users of the trains, would have been surveyed.

NickBarnes
19th Feb 2020, 13:46
Just tried booking a return flight from Southend - Aberdeen in May, all dates show as sold out, believe that usually means the end of a route :uhoh:​​

GiveMeABreak
19th Feb 2020, 14:04
I've lost the plot with all the schedule changes but are you looking at Loganair or Flybe. I believe Flybe are operating the service in May.

Expressflight
19th Feb 2020, 14:10
Not really. ABZ-SEN is bookable via NCL on the flybe website but involves an aircraft change so unlikely to attract much business. It looks like Loganair will cease operating ABZ-SEN on 17th April.

GiveMeABreak
19th Feb 2020, 14:21
I certainly have lost the plot:rolleyes:

NickBarnes
19th Feb 2020, 14:23
Yes correct was the Loganair, as said looks to be gone from mid April

asdf1234
20th Feb 2020, 15:02
Yes correct was the Loganair, as said looks to be gone from mid AprilA spokesperson for Loganair, said: "Bookings for Aberdeen to London Southend have been below expectations, and we’ve therefore reluctantly taken the decision to no longer operate the route, with the last flight being on April 17.
“We apologise to customers for the inconvenience caused and will work with them to put alternative travel plans in place, with the alternative of a full refund.“Loganair remains committed to Aberdeen Airport, and will be pressing ahead with the launch of Aberdeen to Haugesund in Norway flights on 24 February.”

asdf1234
22nd Feb 2020, 16:16
AIRPORT bosses say they are willing to work with furious residents to reduce the impact of flights upon them - especially if they live in Leigh.

Southend (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport chiefs met with Southend Council and MP Sir David Amess to discuss residents’ concerns about the impact of the terminal’s flight paths.

Glyn Jones, chief executive of Southend Airport, and Alison Griffin, chief executive of Southend Council, attended the meeting.

Sir David said the purpose of the meeting was to share the growing list of complaints from campaigners on air pollution, night flights and other concerns.

The Southend West MP said he left them in no doubt this is an issue which is not going to go away and one which needs action now.

He told the bosses the night flights are “unacceptable”, pollution levels are a worry and some residents living adjacent to the Charlie Taxiway - which is metres from their homes at times - wanted their properties compulsory purchased.

Sir David said the number of night flights - which are agreed as part of a Section 106 planning agreement between Southend Council and the airport - was discussed but any changes would have to be mutually agreed between the airport and the authority.

The Tory MP said he plans to send all members of the airport consultative committee the most recent list of resident complaints.

Ron Woodley, Southend Council deputy council leader, said: “Councillor Carole Mulroney is working hard on this issue with the airport and residents.

“The agreement was the airport can do 120 night flights each month, but it only has 90.”

The indepedent member added: “Any opportunity to change would come if the airport wanted to increase the number of flights.”

A Southend Airport spokesman said: “The councillors are in dialogue with the airport and have expressed the views of residents.

“The airport in turn is listening and engaging. We are together formulating an action plan.

“Though we are not yet at a stage where we can offer definitive steps, we are actively exploring opportunities to reduce the impact of flights over Leigh.

“We will provide an update as soon as we are able.”

SARF
23rd Feb 2020, 14:54
Same old whiners .. Southend is still under what the council agreed and no one else in the whole borough cares about westleigh and the marine estate

LTNman
23rd Feb 2020, 15:45
Rather dumb and selfish comment from someone that lacks any compassion for other people’s plight. You might find it hard to accept but everyone is entitled to complain when their lives are blighted, something you seem uncomfortable with.

SARF
24th Feb 2020, 21:50
im not uncomfortable with their whining,, im just telling you the facts.. The marine estate residents showed little compassion for people parking up there to use Leigh station which has been there for decades.. they get the same compassion in return when the decades old airport gets busy

guv34
27th Feb 2020, 19:45
Heard on the grapevine that Amazon are moving more flight s from EMA to SEN

LTNman
27th Feb 2020, 20:14
Can’t move that many if they are night flights. Compared to EMA Southend is not exactly well connected not that it seems to bother Amazon.

Expressflight
28th Feb 2020, 08:34
LTNman

[QUOTE Compared to EMA Southend is not exactly well connected not that it seems to bother Amazon.[/QUOTE]

That's funny I always thought that SEN was closer to Amazon's 2 million sq. ft. fulfilment centre at Tilbury than is EMA.

Barling Magna
28th Feb 2020, 08:42
Yes, bit of an error there LTNman.......

asdf1234
28th Feb 2020, 09:39
LTNman

[QUOTE Compared to EMA Southend is not exactly well connected not that it seems to bother Amazon.

That's funny I always thought that SEN was closer to Amazon's 2 million sq. ft. fulfilment centre at Tilbury than is EMA.[/QUOTE]

There are approximately 2 dozen fulfilment centres around the country, the majority being with easy reach of EMA (Daventry, Coventry, Rugely and Coalville come to mind but I'm sure Peterborough and Milton Keynes also use EMA).

Back to the original post about Amazon moving flights from EMA to SEN I can't see that happening as SEN is quite remote from all of the aforementioned centres, Yes Tilbury is nearby and SEN most probably caters for Tilbury exclusively. All of which is moot as the night time quota at SEN has already been used up with the current Amazon flights. There can be no more night time movements at SEN and I'm not sure Amazon would want to move to day operations.

Expressflight
28th Feb 2020, 09:57
asdf1234

Actually there is scope within the night quota to add a third aircraft to the SEN base for night time operations.

asdf1234
28th Feb 2020, 11:14
asdf1234

Actually there is scope within the night quota to add a third aircraft to the SEN base for night time operations.
Happy to be corrected if my maths is askew. I thought the night time quota was 120 movements and there are currently 4 movements each night (2 arrivals and 2 departures)?

pabely
28th Feb 2020, 11:22
Happy to be corrected if my maths is askew. I thought the night time quota was 120 movements and there are currently 4 movements each night (2 arrivals and 2 departures)?
120 per month.

DC3 Dave
28th Feb 2020, 11:34
https://www.southend.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/1173/london_southend_airport_-_operational_controls_summary_table.pdf

asdf1234
28th Feb 2020, 11:51
120 per month.
Yes, 120 per month. So 4 a night for 30 days a month eats up the whole quota. Am I wrong on the 4 movements per night time period?

Expressflight
28th Feb 2020, 11:53

There are now only 3 Amazon movements during the night quota period following an adjustment to the schedules, so one additional aircraft could be accommodated.

LTNman
28th Feb 2020, 14:32
Yes, bit of an error there LTNman.......

Yes it was, egg and face comes to mind, sorry for my clear ignorance of the facts and happy to be corrected.

Barling Magna
28th Feb 2020, 16:50
No worries, there's often a lot of truth in what you say.

guv34
29th Feb 2020, 07:30
Apparently new DC opening soon in Ipswich also

mmeteesside
29th Feb 2020, 08:17
The EMA schedule is almost entirely daytime operation bar a few early hours departures (4-6am).

LTNman
1st Mar 2020, 07:45
The airport will make more money from passengers than an Amazon freight operation I would have thought although any additional income will be welcomed by Stobart. Is it worth the anti airport protests this operation generates when at some point Stobart will have to go to the council for planning permission to expand the airport?

I am sure Stobart will find it much harder to get the next application through the council and this Amazon will not help them win friends at the council. Think Bristol, Southampton, Stansted and Heathrow for council opposition to airport expansion. Short term gain for potential long term pain?

Expressflight
1st Mar 2020, 14:45
The airport will make more money from passengers than an Amazon freight operation I would have thought although any additional income will be welcomed by Stobart.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

asdf1234
5th Mar 2020, 06:37
Not good news for the airport...
Stobart Group, the aviation, energy and civil engineering group, provides the following update in relation to its investment in Connect Airways.

Connect Airways is made up of a consortium of shareholders encompassing Cyrus Capital (40%), Virgin Atlantic (30%) and Stobart Group (30%) that received EU merger clearance to take control of the assets of Flybe Limited on 5 July 2019.

Flybe, a subsidiary within the Connect Airways group of companies, has today ceased trading and will no longer be operating its planned flight schedule. Stobart Group, alongside its consortium partners, Virgin Atlantic and Cyrus Capital, are deeply disappointed that Flybe has been unable to secure a viable basis for its continuing operations and has therefore entered an administration process. The consortium wishes to express its immense gratitude to the 2,400 people employed by Flybe for their commitment and energy over the past 12 months.

Stobart Group, Virgin Atlantic and Cyrus Capital formed the Connect Airways consortium which intervened in 2019 to prevent the collapse of Flybe and keep Europe's largest regional airline flying. Customers and staff have been at the front of the consortium's minds, and over the past 14 months Connect Airways has invested more than £135m to keep the airline flying for an extra year. This amount includes approximately £25m of the £30m committed in January 2020.

Stobart Group's initial investment was made up through the sale of Stobart Air and its aircraft leasing business, Propius. As a result, the non-cash balance sheet impact on Stobart Group is £43.3m and the additional £7m investment made in 2020. The value of both these investments will now be written down to £nil on its balance sheet. The Group has also foregone deferred interest that it would have benefitted from in future periods. Stobart Group had not expected to receive a contribution from Connect Airways until after FY 2020.

Unlike Flybe, Stobart Air is not a wholly owned subsidiary of Connect Airways. Stobart Air's Employee Benefit Trust (EBT) controls 60% of the voting rights and Connect Airways controls 40%. As such Stobart Air's ongoing ability to trade is not directly impacted by the decision to place Flybe Limited into administration.

Flybe had shown promising signs of a turnaround despite the delay to receiving merger control clearance from the European Commission for its acquisition. However, despite the best efforts of all, not least the Flybe people, the impact of COVID-19 on Flybe's trading means that the consortium can no longer commit to continued financial support.

As a result of this news, London Southend Airport will see a short-term impact, with Flybe having planned to operate ten routes from the airport from Spring of this year. However, the long-term prospects of that airport remain compelling

SWBKCB
5th Mar 2020, 06:47
As a result of this news, London Southend Airport will see a short-term impact, with Flybe having planned to operate ten routes from the airport from Spring of this year. However, the long-term prospects of that airport remain compelling

So this implies that the new services won't operate? But weren't these basically Stobart operations being sold via Flybe, in a similar way to the other franchises which are now continuing to operate in their own right? What is happening with todays Caen and Groningen flights from SEN?

AirportPlanner1
5th Mar 2020, 06:50
So what is the status of the Stobart franchise flights? The CAA statement refers to flights operated by Stobart Air being cancelled, but I assumed initially this referred to mainline BE flights such as from IOM, EDI-LCY. The airport website doesn’t list Caen and Groningen as cancelled at this stage, in fact the airport says nothing, but local press say SEN flights are cancelled (not that I trust local press to get it right)

rog747
5th Mar 2020, 06:50
Franchise pax are urged to Contact the airlines ie Eastern and Blue island etc https://twitter.com/UK_CAA/status/1235403570029064199

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2020, 07:14
Are Stobart - as part of Virgin Connect - in any shape to take advantage of the opportunities that the demise of Flybe will bring?

AirportPlanner1
5th Mar 2020, 07:40
Today’s flights from SEN are now showing as cancelled. So it does look like the end

vlieger
5th Mar 2020, 08:09
Today’s flights from SEN are now showing as cancelled. So it does look like the end

I find this very strange. Surely Stobart is independent and was doing the Southend flights with their own crew and ATR's, so why cancel these?

fjencl
5th Mar 2020, 08:20
I find this very strange. Surely Stobart is independent and was doing the Southend flights with their own crew and ATR's, so why cancel these?
All the isle of Man Stobart operated flights are cancelled as well.....for info

SWBKCB
5th Mar 2020, 08:23
The obvious answer is that they have no booking infrastructure, but surely they've had plenty of notice - Eastern are saying they'll have something up and running by Monday, and may be available earlier.

vlieger
5th Mar 2020, 08:26
The obvious answer is that they have no booking infrastructure, but surely they've had plenty of notice - Eastern are saying they'll have something up and running by Monday, and may be available earlier.

OK, makes sense. So the Stobart crew doing the Flybe franchise may be OK and flying again next week.

LTNman
5th Mar 2020, 08:32

Intertwined and octopus like comes to mind. I sad day all round but for Southend compared to the likes of Southampton, Belfast Harbour and Exeter the impact will not be devastating only annoying with limited pain..

AirportPlanner1
5th Mar 2020, 08:41
It’s a bit different though for Eastern and Blue Islands in that they are pre-existing independent airlines with little other business so must continue or die. Stobart Air only flies under the identity of others with the bulk of the business for EI. They could carry on with the SEN operation but in light of Covid-19 and collapse in bookings I wonder if they’re hiding behind the Flybe collapse (most of their passengers will consider themselves Flybe customers not Stobart) to minimise losses.

To support this theory, the Stobart press release refers to Flybe planning to operate ten routes from spring. It doesn’t mention seven of those were Stobart Air routes.

SWBKCB
5th Mar 2020, 08:47
It’s a bit different though for Eastern and Blue Islands in that they are pre-existing independent airlines with little other business so must continue or die. Stobart Air only flies under the identity of others with the bulk of the business for EI. They could carry on with the SEN operation but in light of Covid-19 and collapse in bookings I wonder if they’re hiding behind the Flybe collapse (most of their passengers will consider themselves Flybe customers not Stobart) to minimise losses.

Yes - but to all intents, the SEN operation seemed to be a largely independent operation running under the flyBe name so I would have thought it would be relatively simple to bolt on a Stobart front-end and carry on. I too was wondering if they had seen the forward bookings and thought "Naaah..."

Expressflight
5th Mar 2020, 09:01
SWBKCB

I think you're right.

Yesterday all the SEN Stobart Air/Flybe routes were bookable on the Virgin website under VS flight numbers - as they have been for a couple of weeks at least. All that was needed was to fly the next few days flights under the normal STK flight numbers for flight planning etc. and to notify booked passengers that their flight number will change to VSxxxx. Additionally issue a press release advising that future passengers should book via the Virgin website, listing all the routes that they were 'rescuing' for the already booked pax.

I think that may well have been the plan in case Government funding was not forthcoming but along came the worsening Covid-19 situation in recent days so "Naaah, let's not go there."

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2020, 09:09
Yes - but to all intents, the SEN operation seemed to be a largely independent operation running under the flyBe name so I would have thought it would be relatively simple to bolt on a Stobart front-end and carry on. I too was wondering if they had seen the forward bookings and thought "Naaah..."

Flights were booked through Flybe who now cannot pay Stobart for the passengers who have booked.

AirportPlanner1
5th Mar 2020, 09:11
Flights were booked through Flybe who now cannot pay Stobart for the passengers they are due to fly.

Yes but this is different to Eastern and Blue Islands how exactly?

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2020, 09:16
Yes but this is different to Eastern and Blue Islands how exactly?

Can’t answer that. More questions than answers right now.

Expressflight
5th Mar 2020, 09:16
Flights were booked through Flybe who now cannot pay Stobart for the passengers who have booked.
They could still have offered 'rescue' fares on those routes from today. After all, the STK aircraft and crews that would have operated those routes are standing idle and costing money doing so. Many people would rather get to their booked destination through paying, say, £65 like easyJet are offering than cancel their trip entirely.

The same could have been done for IOM pax who have very limited options otherwise.

Edit: This seems exactly what Blue Islands are doing today.

Wycombe
5th Mar 2020, 10:14
Edit: This seems exactly what Blue Islands are doing today.

Indeed, BI are offering to fly people with a Flybe reservation for free today, or if no reservation for a £50 all-in walk-up fare at the airport.
This is until they have their own booking engine up and running, which they say they hope to do by Monday, if not sooner.

They are also operating replacement flights from the islands to EXT and BHX today - not normal routes for them.

Good for them.

Also don't understand why the Stobart-operated former Flybe franchise flights could not carry on in a similar way?

virginblue
5th Mar 2020, 10:50
I am really puzzled by this. Stobart has a fully operational "back office" for the EI-branded flights, so unless the BE-branded lfights were operated in some sort of joint company and not just, as it appeared all the time, under a common brand, stopping operations at a time when almost the whole domestic market is up for grabs and others are quickly moving in to benefit from this, is a somewhat strange business move. Particularly as most routes had little to do with BE's core network and should easily survive on a stand-alone basis.

asdf1234
5th Mar 2020, 10:59
I am really puzzled by this. Stobart has a fully operational "back office" for the EI-branded flights, so unless the BE-branded lfights were operated in some sort of joint company and not just, as it appeared all the time, under a common brand, stopping operations at a time when almost the whole domestic market is up for grabs and others are quickly moving in to benefit from this, is a somewhat strange business move. Particularly as most routes had little to do with BE's core network and should easily survive on a stand-alone basis.

Stobart Air is not an airline as such but a provider of wet-leased aircraft. They take zero risk with route profitability and simply charge a profitable fee to operate an aircraft on a route for an airline. If there were 1 or 49 passengers aboard the aircraft, Stobart got the same wet lease fee from Flybe. Stobart Air will redeploy the fleet to other airline customers looking for wet lease cover. I think the agreement with Eastern was different; Eastern paid a royalty to Flybe to operate under their brand name.

runawayedge
5th Mar 2020, 11:09
asdf1234...you are only 90% incorrect. The Embraer's and IOM operation was ACMI. All other flying was/is franchise at Stobart Air commercial risk. Stobart would have received forward sales revenue from Flybe for SEN operation.

Expressflight
5th Mar 2020, 11:20
Stobart Air is not an airline as such but a provider of wet-leased aircraft. They take zero risk with route profitability and simply charge a profitable fee to operate an aircraft on a route for an airline.

No, that's just not true. For the Stobart SEN routes for example, Stobart took the commercial risk from the start with Flybe providing the back office and reservations system for a fee. Marketing was split between the two companies' teams but I don't know how the costs were allocated for that. I doubt you were involved in the setting up of that operation but I was.

Regarding the reasons for Stobart not trying to put together an ongoing operation on the lines of the Blue Islands model, I could be cynical and say 'well it is Stobart we're talking about', but I think it likely they can't now see any great financial benefit in doing so with the Covid-19 situation being what it is.

asdf1234
5th Mar 2020, 11:34
No, that's just not true. For the Stobart SEN routes for example, Stobart took the commercial risk from the start with Flybe providing the back office and reservations system for a fee. Marketing was split between the two companies' teams but I don't know how the costs were allocated for that. I doubt you were involved in the setting up of that operation but I was.

Regarding the reasons for Stobart not trying to put together an ongoing operation on the lines of the Blue Islands model, I could be cynical and say 'well it is Stobart we're talking about', but I think it likely they can't now see any great financial benefit in doing so with the Covid-19 situation being what it is.

I stand corrected. But sad to hear that an airport owner has no confidence in running routes from its own airport. Was this a case of providing the illusion of demand to entice others to the airport?

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2020, 11:38
Indeed, BI are offering to fly people with a Flybe reservation for free today, or if no reservation for a £50 all-in walk-up fare at the airport.
This is until they have their own booking engine up and running, which they say they hope to do by Monday, if not sooner.

They are also operating replacement flights from the islands to EXT and BHX today - not normal routes for them.

Good for them.

Also don't understand why the Stobart-operated former Flybe franchise flights could not carry on in a similar way?

If you were a customer not knowing nor caring about franchise arrangements, how would you feel about paying again to board a Flybe branded aircraft?

Expressflight
5th Mar 2020, 11:51
I stand corrected. But sad to hear that an airport owner has no confidence in running routes from its own airport. Was this a case of providing the illusion of demand to entice others to the airport?

Covid-19 must have escaped your attention.

asdf1234
5th Mar 2020, 12:07
Not at all. It hasn't stopped me flying but I understand why others might not want to. However I see this as an easy excuse being used by the owners as to why they won't save their airline. Look back to SARS, swine fever, bird flu etc..., all come and go and the airlines keep flying.

I think the truth about Stobart Air and the FlyBe routes was that whilst the airport owned the airline, they used it to inflate the airport pax numbers and route network. Now the airline is owned by a consortium, they are happy to dump the SEN routes as they are deeply unprofitable.

Wycombe
5th Mar 2020, 12:19
Originally Posted by Wycombe View Post (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/599766-southend-2-a-194.html#post10703643)

Good for them.

If you were a customer not knowing nor caring about franchise arrangements, how would you feel about paying again to board a Flybe branded aircraft?

A lot of BI's Customers are regulars (as I have been recently) and are very well aware that the aircraft is painted in Flybe colours (or not, as at least 3 of the fleet are all white at present) but operated by Blue Islands. It's always mentioned that they are "operated by Blue Islands" in the onboard announcements.

At this time of year, in my recent experience, it's mainly island residents, their visitors, or people travelling for business that are using these flights, so I would say most are well aware of the situation.

virginblue
5th Mar 2020, 12:36

Under insolvency law, airlines continuing to operate that use the Flybe brand will quickly remove anything "Flybe" from the aircraft etc. That's what Condor did when Thomas Cook went under.

vlieger
5th Mar 2020, 12:40
At this time of year, in my recent experience, it's mainly island residents, their visitors, or people travelling for business that are using these flights, so I would say most are well aware of the situation.

I'd say islanders are more aware of this kind of thing, also on the Isle of Man. In Southend, however, I think this is less the case.

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2020, 12:53

Of all the major UK & Irish airlines surely Flybe would have one of the least affected.

A couple of weeks ago a friend (with no great interest in aviation) who travels to Glasgow half a dozen times a year was having a moan about the loss of the Loganair SEN-GLA route. I pointed out that he could book with Flybe from May.

He said he wasn’t prepared to because of the uncertainty and all the associated hassle getting his money back if the flights did not happen. I did point out it was possible to book the flights through Virgin Atlantic, but he said he felt more confident flying from STN even if getting there was a lot less convenient.

flyerguy
5th Mar 2020, 12:59
Yes probably least affected in SEN. But for flight to AMS/CDG/MXP which relied on connections, bookings will be down.

Wycombe
5th Mar 2020, 13:03
Of all the major UK & Irish airlines surely Flybe would have one of the least affected.

Or maybe not - only yesterday I had to cancel a SOU-BHD day trip (due in a few weeks) because the client over there doesn't want visitors (or to travel themselves either).

Felt sad that in my small way I was contributing to yesterdays outcome.

Expressflight
5th Mar 2020, 15:19
I think the truth about Stobart Air and the FlyBe routes was that whilst the airport owned the airline, they used it to inflate the airport pax numbers and route network. Now the airline is owned by a consortium, they are happy to dump the SEN routes as they are deeply unprofitable.

I think there may be some truth in that. Stobart were certainly very keen to establish a wider route network in order to attract interest from other carriers. We shall see if other carriers take up any of the Stobart/Flybe routes, although maybe not until the Covid-19 situation starts to resolve itself.

Buster the Bear
5th Mar 2020, 19:48
I bet the shareholders are delighted with this! That is a lot of money to repay!

https://www.in-cumbria.com/news/18284202.stobart-group-counts-50-million-cost-flybe-collapse/

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2020, 20:31
So it seems clear that Stobart have no interest in jumping in to replace Flybe on the new S2020 routes.

But are they really going to let the Holy Trinity of Rennes, Groningen and Caen die with the franchise?

They are three routes that Stobart have stuck with over the years and whenever I’ve looked seemed to attract solid to eye watering fares.

I could see FR picking up Rennes at the expense of Brest.

asdf1234
5th Mar 2020, 20:44
I bet the shareholders are delighted with this! That is a lot of money to repay!

https://www.in-cumbria.com/news/18284202.stobart-group-counts-50-million-cost-flybe-collapse/

Stobart Group had sold and then leased back the aircraft fleet that they then placed into the Connect consortium. I think shareholders will have been pleased to see the back of the liability this created in the balance sheet of Stobart Group. In my view it was a canny move.

AirportPlanner1
12th Mar 2020, 11:44
Loganair have announced a company schedule reduction. Derry is unaffected (assume because frequency is stipulated in the PSO) as is Carlisle but Aberdeen seems to drop to 1 daily until it ceases apart from odd days where there are 2.

LTNman
12th Mar 2020, 13:39
I would have thought the Wizz flights are under threat as Luton is haemorrhaging passengers at the moment. (See Luton thread with photos) Of course in theory Wizz could cancel Luton flights and move the passengers to Southend.

SARF
12th Mar 2020, 13:55
Anyone know when/if amazon are moving their planes over to the aviation way side of the airport ?

Buster the Bear
12th Mar 2020, 21:54
I would have thought the Wizz flights are under threat as Luton is haemorrhaging passengers at the moment. (See Luton thread with photos) Of course in theory Wizz could cancel Luton flights and move the passengers to Southend.

What passengers? The industry is all about survival. Travel bans will kill off the weak airlines and the survivors will then pick up the pieces. Will there be a willingness to travel post Covid-19? I suspect they well, but......

LTNman
15th Mar 2020, 23:40
The biggest threat to Southend is here yet none of the locals have written a word about it. Looking at what Flybe was offering in new services and what is happening now, what percentage of routes does Southend expect to have compared to what it was expecting once Spanish and Malta services are removed?

AirportPlanner1
16th Mar 2020, 07:02
The biggest threat to Southend is here yet none of the locals have written a word about it. Looking at what Flybe was offering in new services and what is happening now, what percentage of routes does Southend expect to have compared to what it was expecting once Spanish and Malta services are removed?

No clue but no worse than anywhere else. I guess the big elephant in the room is a prolonged shutdown risking the future of EZY and FR as airlines at worst, and a major consolidation at key bases as a middle scenario. That could see both retrench to a set of core routes at LGW & STN respectively. Add to that potential Brexit no-deal outcome, which the immediate population seem heavily supportive of. SEN could be left with almost nothing, but then the same is true of most other airports. Even EDI have admitted pax could be close to 0 in the near term.

Actually I don’t think much has been said on any thread. Really no one knows, it’s above airports so in a way no point talking about it and replicating what is said in overall corona threads.

LTNman
16th Mar 2020, 07:40
Airlines have their favourite London bases like Easyjet at Gatwick with its overspill to Luton and Ryanair at Stansted. Luton passengers are dropping off a cliff, as with all airports, so while the falls in the last week have been breathtaking I think the recovery is going to be slow. Maybe the recovery will be spread out over a number of years if too many people lose their jobs and Europe enters a long recession.

No city in Europe has 6 airports serving it so I would expect consolidations in not only the number of flights to particular locations but a reduction of bases serving that location. I see Southend as being in a weak position, as it is the new kid on the block with just small fleets based there where its passengers could easily be absorbed into other airports with aircraft to fill.

Will Stobart have the resources to hang on to its child?

Sorry for this depressing post but the unthinkable has happened in the last month and I wonder what shocks are to come. There will be no winners and no losers only survivors.

As for Southend hitting say 5 million passengers? Yes it will no doubt happen one day but I think that day is now in the long grass.

(Edit) looks like the unthinkable is about to happen with Easyjet set to ground most of its fleet)

Expressflight
16th Mar 2020, 08:35
LTNman

My 'guess', and that's all it can be at this very early stage of the pandemic, is that by the end of March nearly all international passenger flying will have ceased at all UK airports and that internal flights will greatly decrease in number. Looking at SEN that means that passenger numbers will be insignificant by that time and that will continue for at least six months. Maybe freight flights will remain an essential element of trade with on-line purchasing in particular surging. Even if the pandemic is over by then there will be continued low activity levels until a Covid-19 vaccine is available to everyone. That may take another six months. On the assumption (or should I say in the hope) that the European economy has not collapsed into a massive recession, after that for summer 2021 I think there will be a large pent up demand from those millions of people whose holidays have been lost this year, plus business traffic could return to its previous levels. I don't see a reluctance to travel at that stage, much in the same way that the failure of major airlines in the past couple of years has not resulted in a lack of confidence to make forward bookings.

Where will SEN stand in that scenario? I haven't a clue as nobody can know which airlines will have survived and in what condition they will be. Maybe governments will see the airlines as being essential elements in the recovery and effectively fund the securing of those entities for 12 months; effectively 'nationalising' them as they may have to do with the railways. Without a viable transport infrastructure in place economic recovery will be significantly delayed.

I'm only writing the above because you asked the question, but it's all speculation and guesswork with no firm data to base it upon. I was thinking the other day 'what if I were not retired but asked to advise airports on actions to take at this time?'. The answer to that thought was simple: 'thank goodness I'm retired.'

Expressflight
16th Mar 2020, 09:11
At least SEN may generate some revenue from the storage of aircraft. They are freeing up as much parking space as possible and three BACF aircraft arrived over the weekend with more expected.

Buster the Bear
16th Mar 2020, 10:15
Not a lot of cash in parking up aircraft.

southender
16th Mar 2020, 12:26
Better than no cash at all

OpsSix
16th Mar 2020, 20:37
https://news.sky.com/story/stobart-lands-700m-approach-for-slice-of-southend-airport-11958629

tws123
16th Mar 2020, 20:39
AviAlliance have reportedly made an offer to purchase a 25% stake in Southend Airport from the Stobart Group - News Article (https://news.sky.com/story/stobart-lands-700m-approach-for-slice-of-southend-airport-11958629)

asdf1234
17th Mar 2020, 07:43
Stobart Group had sold and then leased back the aircraft fleet that they then placed into the Connect consortium. I think shareholders will have been pleased to see the back of the liability this created in the balance sheet of Stobart Group. In my view it was a canny move.

The full year trading statement has been released this morning. It seems that the liabilities associated with the sale and leaseback of the ATR fleet did not pass to Connect with the sale of Propius and Stobart Air. The trading statement has this:

"A number of guarantees and potential lease obligations exist between the Group and the separate subsidiaries of Connect Airways, being Stobart Air and Propius, which have been impacted by the collapse of Flybe. Stobart Group is actively evaluating how best to address and manage these liabilities and is in discussion with stakeholders regarding the most appropriate solutions;"

The Group is now very short of cash and needs short term debt to keep the airport running. They also state the following on the potential interest in Southend Airport:

"No acceptable terms have been agreed and discussions have since been put on hold while both parties navigate the current COVID-19 outbreak."

AirportPlanner1
18th Mar 2020, 07:59
LDY is being reduced to one daily. Same goes for the Dundee service over at STN so there must be agreement with the respective Governments as they otherwise break the terms of the PSO.

CAX services not mentioned.

SEN Observer
18th Mar 2020, 11:06
It appears that talks re the partial sale of the airport (which have been going on for some months) have been put on ice while both sides evaluate their position regarding the virus. I have no business knowledge so don't know whether this would be a good or bad thing but on the face of it, could be of benefit to SEN?

​​​​​

SWBKCB
18th Mar 2020, 11:33
The Group is now very short of cash and needs short term debt to keep the airport running.

I have no business knowledge so don't know whether this would be a good or bad thing but on the face of it, could be of benefit to SEN?

I wouldn't have thought the value of the business is going up at the moment.

asdf1234
18th Mar 2020, 17:18
I wouldn't have thought the value of the business is going up at the moments.

This from the Irish Independent...Connect Airways, the holding company behind Dublin-based Stobart Air, which operates the Aer Lingus Regional service, has fallen into administration in the UK, the Irish Independent has learned.

The move is linked to the recent collapse of Flybe. UK-based Flybe was also part of Connect Airways.

The administration means that accountancy firm EY now controls Connect and 49pc of Stobart Air. The other 51pc of Stobart Air is owned by its more than 400 staff.

Connect Airways is 30pc-owned by the listed UK Stobart Group. Virgin Travel Group, a subsidiary of Virgin Atlantic, also has a 30pc stake, while US firm Cyrus Equity Partners owns 40pc.

Yesterday, Stobart Group, whose CEO is Warwick Brady, warned investors that it’s evaluating how to manage liabilities it has to Stobart Air.

But with confirmation to the Irish Independent from EY that Connect is in administration, it means Stobart Group is now on the hook for guarantees given in relation to a number of aircraft leases.

A subsidiary of Stobart Group, Propius, engineered a sale and leaseback of eight ATR turborprop aircraft to German firm Goal in 2017. The aircraft are used for the Aer Lingus Regional service. Lease agreements under the deal total $15.4m a year and are for 10 years, it was reported at the time.

There’s an option to terminate the agreement in 2023, although the trading update issued by Stobart Group yesterday suggests that the guarantees could be significantly more material.

The current Aer Lingus Regional franchise agreement Stobart Air has with Aer Lingus ends in 2022.

Propius received $62.7m from the sale of the aircraft, according to reports when the deal was done. However, it’s unclear where those proceeds ultimately ended up following the creation of Connect Airways in 2019.
In a statement to the Irish Independent today, EY said:“Alan Hudson, Joanne Robinson, Simon Edel and Lucy Winterborne of EY’s Restructuring team were appointed joint administrators of Connect Airways Limited on March 10, 2020,” it said.

“Owned by a consortium of companies, Connect is a holding company that was set up in January 2019 to assist with the acquisition of the airline Flybe. Connect has no day-to-day trading operations itself.”
This is not great news for the owners of SEN. They have no cash available to them, no operating income due to CV, and now the administrators of Connect will be chasing them for the lease payments for the six ATRs totalling £150m over the next 10 years.

The Stobart share price has tanked meaning that they have little recourse to sensible debt options and the mortgaged Eddie Stobart shares are currently worthless. The leases and the ESL mortgage add up to £200m worth of liabilities.

I dont believe the airport is worth anything like the £800m quoted in the press; that now seems to have been an "accidently" leaked story to reassure investors and the Connect administrators. Airports sell for a multiple of EBITDA earnings and whilst the results are not yet out, I'd wager EBITDA is either zero or no more than £1-2m.

We could be witnessing the beginning of the end of Stobart's ownership of Southend Airport.

SWBKCB
18th Mar 2020, 18:38
Not great news for Carlisle or Teesside, either.

highwideandugly
18th Mar 2020, 19:11
Wwhy Teesside? Thought the Teesside taxpayers were bankrolling the airport?

highwideandugly
18th Mar 2020, 19:14
Sorry pressed send before I finished! Modern technology!

The aviation and airport window will change forever after this sad episode.Thinking we will be down to 20 ish airports in the future to cover this island?

London area of course will be well covered..but the regionals will have big problems...?

SWBKCB
18th Mar 2020, 19:16
Why Teesside? Thought the Teesside taxpayers were bankrolling the airport?

Stobart Group have a 25% share (and it's national taxpayers - Teesside taxpayers are contributing as much as everybody else)

DC3 Dave
18th Mar 2020, 20:31
We could be witnessing the beginning of the end of Stobart's ownership of Southend Airport.

Quite possibly. But as I’ve said before. Stobart can’t roll up the runway and take it somewhere else.

I believe there will be an enormous pent up frustration and joy if the crisis does not go on too long. Just as aviation has been one of the hardest hit sectors right now, it will surely come come under pressure at some stage to meet demand with reduced capacity, possibility leading to a golden age for airlines and airports alike.

I guess right now it’s finding a way of staying in the game.

Whatever happens I’ll never forget. Without Stobart there would be nothing much worthy of discussion - let alone saving.

asdf1234
18th Mar 2020, 20:44
Quite possibly. But as I’ve said before. Stobart can’t roll up the runway and take it somewhere else.

I believe there will be an enormous pent up frustration and joy if the crisis does not go on too long. Just as aviation has been one of the hardest hit sectors right now, it will surely come come under pressure at some stage to meet demand with reduced capacity, possibility leading to a golden age for airlines and airports alike.

I guess right now it’s finding a way of staying in the game.

Whatever happens I’ll never forget. Without Stobart there would be nothing much worthy of discussion - let alone saving.

Very true. I think it is very sad that the company that started the Southend turnaround might not be there to reap the financial rewards of their hard work.

Too many airports are disappearing from the map nationally. I'd hate to see SEN turned into a mega residential development because the current owners ran out of cash. Hopefully the newer investors into Stobart Group (Tosca Fund Asset Management) have a long term interest in seeing the site remain as an airfield. They have been quietly buying up shares for some time now and have emerged as the biggest individual shareholder.

Buster the Bear
18th Mar 2020, 21:51
Maybe Tinkler was right?

DC3 Dave
18th Mar 2020, 23:14
A controversial individual, marmite definitely.

May I quote from Theodore Roosevelt - recently heard for the first time in many years on the Discovery’s channel Gold Rush.....

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Bee Rexit
23rd Mar 2020, 13:10
Planning application for the new airport hotel has been withdrawn. Not really surprising at the minute.

asdf1234
23rd Mar 2020, 15:21
Planning application for the new airport hotel has been withdrawn. Not really surprising at the minute.

From the grant of planning approval to breaking ground, build and fit out, to opening the doors will be in the order of 24 months if everything proceeded without problems. So withdrawing the application because of the current downturn due to CV could be seen as short-sighted. In 24 months time I predict air travel will be back to current levels. Even if Stobart Group are short of cash, getting the planning approval makes the airport more attractive to potential purchasers. I'm perplexed as to why they have withdrawn their application.

tws123
23rd Mar 2020, 17:22
Looking online at Southend's planning portal, I am not sure that application 19/02066/BC4M has been withdrawn. Some revised plans were only submitted on the 11 March 2020 and it still shows a target decision date of Friday, 3 April 2020. Indeed the application also still appears on Rochford's online planning portal under reference 19/01028/FUL.

It would be very short sighted if they have withdrawn the application given that permission (if granted) will last for three years.

tophat27dt
24th Mar 2020, 05:36
And where was your source of this information?

LTNman
24th Mar 2020, 07:23
. In 24 months time I predict air travel will be back to current levels. .

Discretionary spending will be hardest hit, which is bad news for air travel and Southend. Many people will take years to recover as will the economy.

SWBKCB
24th Mar 2020, 07:59
In 24 months time I predict air travel will be back to current levels.

Maybe, but in some areas we aren't back to 2007 levels yet...

asdf1234
24th Mar 2020, 09:01
Discretionary spending will be hardest hit, which is bad news for air travel and Southend. Many people will take years to recover as will the economy.
With the government paying 80% of wages (capped at £2.5k/monthly) for those employess not able to work, with no travel costs for most employees, with no pubs, clubs, restaurants or leisure facilities open on which to spend your money, with non-food shops closed, I predict a huge spending splurge greater than Christmas once this is all over. I think a lot of people will be wanting to spend their cash on a foreign holiday.

Yes, it's a different story for the self-employed but the majority of the UK working population are being paid to stay at home and they have nothing to spend their dosh on. I can see an economic boom fuelled by a huge cash reserve being built up by people unable to get out and spend it right now.

LTNman
24th Mar 2020, 09:15
asdf1234 (https://www.pprune.org/members/302749-asdf1234)It is really great that you are so optimistic. I guess we need many more people like you and less like me, as I just see recession, mass unemployment and possibly a great depression. Then there will be the bill for all that government help that will need to be paid off so taxes will have to rise and then another austerity programme to try and reduce government debt.

Whatever happens the airport will be safe but just less busy in my eyes and less people working there in the years to come.

Bee Rexit
25th Mar 2020, 08:35
And where was your source of this information?

The local ward Councillor and deputy mayor but what does he know eh, looks like he gave out the wrong info as application has now reverted to Status "Decision Pending"

AirportPlanner1
26th Mar 2020, 07:30
As everywhere else, EZY and FR have now finished for the time being. FR officially until May, EZY limited from Easter although inevitably this will also get cancelled.

It’s not up on the Loganair website but Aberdeen has now finished and Carlisle ended on Monday despite the press release saying tomorrow. Quite possibly no one was booked or could travel anyway to Carlisle given hotels are closed.

Wizz have ceased Sibiu early, Vilnius is suspended until May, Bucharest apparently continues on Thursdays and Sundays although today’s is cancelled.

FlyOne did a couple of repatriation flights this week but they’re now also suspended until May.

Wideroe were due to start on Sunday but that has been postponed until June 1st.

So for now the entire SEN pax schedule is 1x daily to Derry and 2x weekly to Bucharest, if it runs.

SEN Observer
26th Mar 2020, 09:57
Thank heavens for the cargo flights!!

LTNman
26th Mar 2020, 11:05
Is it economical for the airport to remain open 24/7 for a few cargo and passenger flights as that is just adding to the costs. Easyjet and Ryanair seem to think it is better to go into hibernation and save cash.

Captain_Caveman
26th Mar 2020, 11:33
The airport has announced it will now only open on Tuesday Thursday and sundays between 16:30 and 21:30 for passenger flights. The cargo flights remain unaffected.

Barling Magna
26th Mar 2020, 11:34
Is it economical for the airport to remain open 24/7 for a few cargo and passenger flights as that is just adding to the costs. Easyjet and Ryanair seem to think it is better to go into hibernation and save cash.

Well that gets today's award for prescience.......

DC3 Dave
26th Mar 2020, 11:49

It’s hard to make a direct comparison. Even if the airlines were able to fly without restrictions, they would be burning millions in fuel without revenue.

The airport’s opportunity is cutting its wage bill to a bare minimum, but the government is stumping up 80% of that.

Please also bear in mind that SEN produces a significant proportion of its energy cost with its own solar farm.

Telling Amazon you are closed when their business appears to be booming (that’s my understanding) doesn’t seem like a smart move to me.

Red Four
26th Mar 2020, 11:59
The airport has announced it will now only open on Tuesday Thursday and sundays between 16:30 and 21:30 for passenger flights. The cargo flights remain unaffected.

The way you have phrased that is possibly ambiguous. I believe the article actually implies that the reduced operations are only on those days between those times, ie: at other times, operations normalish, the terminal will be shut.
This of course might well change.
Southend Echo (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18336384.coronavirus-southend-airport-cuts-majority-flights/)

AirportPlanner1
26th Mar 2020, 13:33
If that is correct it suggests Derry is also ending as Tue-Thu-Sun correlates with the Wizz to Bucharest, although Tuesday now seems to have been taken off sale and as I said above tonight’s is cancelled. Even with Loganair, terminal hours would only need to be about 5-8pm.

Another possibility is Loganair will operate Tue-Thu-Sun to coincide with the Wizz flights as it doesn’t make sense for check-in, security staff to come in for about 10-20 pax. As a side note, Loganair’s Dundee service will need somewhere to go as it’s due into LCY from Sunday but of course LCY is closed. It could continue to STN but that seems even more of a waste of time costwise as it would also be the only departure there around that time.

Red Four
26th Mar 2020, 13:40
Dundee is part of HIAL, whose airports have had all routine flights stopped temporarily.

AirportPlanner1
26th Mar 2020, 13:50
In fact Loganair are suspending LDY along with the majority of their remaining routes. All they’re keeping is some of the lifeline island routes, a couple from Aberdeen and the IOM-Liverpool which is used for hospital transfers.

asdf1234
26th Mar 2020, 16:03
The airport’s opportunity is cutting its wage bill to a bare minimum, but the government is stumping up 80% of that.

ATC and RFFS wage bills are very significant items in any small to medium sized airport budget. Having a 24 hour manned tower and fire station on call will be hurting the airport without the revenues coming in from the airlines. Can't see that the PSO flights are worth the effort of staying open. The night time cargo flights can operate without fire cover if they so choose and this would need just the one shift in the tower, saving 2/3rds of the ATC wage bill. Of course, if you send ATC bods home on reduced pay they are likely to remember this when the upturn comes in the months or years ahead. ATC bods have always been in high demand.

scodaman
26th Mar 2020, 21:14
If that is correct it suggests Derry is also ending......

Derry to Southend is still continuing, but it is cut to 1 return flight, evening only, instead of 2 per day and is cancelled on a Saturday altogether.

https://www.loganair.co.uk/campaign/travel-before-20-april

DC3 Dave
26th Mar 2020, 22:04
ATC and RFFS wage bills are very significant items in any small to medium sized airport budget. Having a 24 hour manned tower and fire station on call will be hurting the airport without the revenues coming in from the airlines. Can't see that the PSO flights are worth the effort of staying open. The night time cargo flights can operate without fire cover if they so choose and this would need just the one shift in the tower, saving 2/3rds of the ATC wage bill. Of course, if you send ATC bods home on reduced pay they are likely to remember this when the upturn comes in the months or years ahead. ATC bods have always been in high demand.

I get what you are saying, but my understanding is that the government will pay a maximum of £2500 or 80% of salary per month to employers who retain the services of employees. That’s a hell of an incentive to keep paying people who you know will be a nightmare to replace when this is over.

Also remember these specialist staff have no where else to go right now.

I guess a lot lot depends whether, as an employer, you believe the crisis will start to ease in weeks or many months.

Also depends on how vulnerable Stobart are right now because of decisions made totally unrelated to the crisis.

AirportPlanner1
27th Mar 2020, 07:22
Derry to Southend is still continuing, but it is cut to 1 return flight, evening only, instead of 2 per day and is cancelled on a Saturday altogether.

https://www.loganair.co.uk/campaign/travel-before-20-april

That has changed since yesterday, the route wasn’t on the list.

I also note Carlisle is on the “cancelled” list rather than suspended, all but confirming it won’t be back.

sinbad73
27th Mar 2020, 12:16
https://www.businesstravelnewseurope.com/Air-Travel/Southend-airport-limits-opening-timesSouthend airport is restricting its operating hours to three days a week as airlines continue to cut flights due to falling demand caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Starting next week, the Essex airport will only be open from 1630-2130 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays due to a severely reduced service by its airline partners.

Easyjet and Ryanair have suspend all flights from Southend until at least mid-May due to border closures and travel restrictions across Europe, but some carrier have said they intend to continue a limited number of services.

Wizz Air will operate three flights a week to Bucharest from 30 March, while Loganair will continue its three weekly services to Aberdeen. However, the Scottish carrier has just announced it will cancel its Aberdeen route until further notice.

Southend will maintain logistical operations such as cargo flights, which it said will help it retain jobs at the airport.

CEO Glyn Jones commented: “I want to take this opportunity to express my immense gratitude for the incredible team here at London Southend airport who have responded fantastically to the unprecedented challenges faced by the aviation industry and by the world as a whole. I am pleased that the airport will contribute to the local community and its economy by securing jobs and contributing to the economy.”

The news comes after both Carlisle Lake District (https://www.businesstravelnewseurope.com/Air-Travel/All-flights-from-Carlisle-suspended) and London City (https://www.businesstravelnewseurope.com/Air-Travel/London-City-airport-suspends-flights) airports announced they will cease passenger operations.

Severn
30th Mar 2020, 08:51
easyJet aircraft moving to SEN for storage
easyJet will be moving aircraft out of its bases at EDI, GLA, BFS and NCL today and position them to LPL and SEN for storage.
15x aircraft are planned to position into SEN for storage

All 8x based EDI aircraft to position to SEN today for storage (3x A319/5x A320)
All 4x based GLA aircraft to position to SEN today for storage (2x A319/2x A320)
All 3x based NCL aircraft to position to SEN today for storage (2x A319/1x A320)

5x easyJet aircraft are currently in SEN, and an A319 is due to position out to LGW today via NCL, GLA and EDI.
This will mean 19x easyJet aircraft on the ground in SEN by this evening.

brian_dromey
30th Mar 2020, 11:11
This will mean 19x easyJet aircraft on the ground in SEN by this evening.

Im not hugely familiar with SEN, but is there room for all of these aircraft, even topped and tailed? Are there any FR or flyBe/Stobart aircraft left at SEN?

It looks like easyJet are trying to keep the aircraft in fairly close geographical proximity, I suppose this is maintenance related?

AirportPlanner1
30th Mar 2020, 11:17
An FR headed off to DUB a short while ago so that’s one stand free

Red Four
30th Mar 2020, 11:45
An FR headed off to DUB a short while ago so that’s one stand free
I would not jump to that conclusion, as a different one landed from DUB shortly before that.

pabely
30th Mar 2020, 11:58
It looks like easyJet are trying to keep the aircraft in fairly close geographical proximity, I suppose this is maintenance related?
Correct, expect them to be consolidated around LTN, LGW, MAN, BRS, SEN & STN.

LTNman
30th Mar 2020, 12:05
Luton has capacity for more storage but is an expensive place to park aircraft unless they drop their parking charges.

JSCL
30th Mar 2020, 13:00
Luton has capacity for more storage but is an expensive place to park aircraft unless they drop their parking charges.

It's not a time for the airports to be spanking the airlines. From what I'm aware, this is a negotiating stance by airports in lieu of fees and discussions of what will happen on the other site of this crisis.

Falcon666
30th Mar 2020, 14:12
Continuous line of EasyJets coming down from EDI and GLA for storage as I type

LTNman
30th Mar 2020, 14:38
19 easyjet aircraft parked up at Southend is actually a tragedy for the airport and the airline.

DC3 Dave
30th Mar 2020, 15:02
19 easyjet aircraft parked up at Southend is actually a tragedy for the airport and the airline.

I am not aware of anyone posting that it is a cause for celebration.

AirportPlanner1
31st Mar 2020, 06:41
Also a tragedy is SEN’s two passenger departures today equalling the total at STN, and being just two behind LGW

DC3 Dave
31st Mar 2020, 15:24
The Echo has been forced to issue a correction after stating that some Southend Airport employees had been forced into taking unpaid leave.

It is Stobart Air staff who find themselves in this situation.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/18347406.southend-airport-fire-ditching-staff-coronavirus-crisis/

rowly6339
1st Apr 2020, 10:50
So with all the talk of Southend being limited to certain aircraft sizes it was a surprise for some to see a C17 globemaster 3 touch and go yesterday.

DC3 Dave
1st Apr 2020, 11:02
So with all the talk of Southend being limited to certain aircraft sizes it was a surprise for some to see a C17 globemaster 3 touch and go yesterday.

A remarkable sight indeed, although I believe it can land fully loaded on a runway considerably shorter than SEN and just 30 metres wide.

Red Four
1st Apr 2020, 11:24
NOTAM C2186/20 issued for April, closure from 1500-1830 Local time:

Q) EGTT/QAECD/IV/NBO/AE/000/055/5135N00045E017
B) FROM: 20/04/01 14:00 C) TO: 20/04/30 17:30
E) COVID-19 INFORMATION
AD CLOSED. SOUTHEND ATZ/CTR/CTA DEACTVATED. NO ATS AVBL. ARRIVALS
AFTER THE CLOSURE PERIOD SHOULD PLAN TO ARRIVE NOT BEFORE 1745
SCHEDULE: 1400-1730

AirportPlanner1
1st Apr 2020, 12:20
3.5hr closure isn’t too bad at all, that’s about as long as some airports are open for at the moment

asdf1234
1st Apr 2020, 12:21
NOTAM C2186/20 issued for April, closure from 1500-1830 Local time:

Q) EGTT/QAECD/IV/NBO/AE/000/055/5135N00045E017
B) FROM: 20/04/01 14:00 C) TO: 20/04/30 17:30
E) COVID-19 INFORMATION
AD CLOSED. SOUTHEND ATZ/CTR/CTA DEACTVATED. NO ATS AVBL. ARRIVALS
AFTER THE CLOSURE PERIOD SHOULD PLAN TO ARRIVE NOT BEFORE 1745
SCHEDULE: 1400-1730

Was only a matter of time. Very expensive business having full ATC coverage.

LTNman
1st Apr 2020, 15:13
Was only a matter of time. Very expensive business having full ATC coverage.

Still will be only a 3.5 hour shut down.

AirportPlanner1
1st Apr 2020, 17:31
I’ve seen a copy of a statement the airport put out which included the terminal being open only 3 evenings a week. The same statement says Loganair were retaining Aberdeen and Derry 3x weekly, clearly plans changed as one has gone and the other retained almost daily or they got their own information wrong.

SARF
1st Apr 2020, 19:25
C17 globemaster from the raf doing the rounds yesterday. Beat Southend up a few times and managed stansted and Norwich as well. Very impressive

asdf1234
1st Apr 2020, 20:03
C17 globemaster from the raf doing the rounds yesterday. Beat Southend up a few times and managed stansted and Norwich as well. Very impressive

Local plod also doing the rounds pointing out to the numerous spotters that leaving their homes to engage in their hobby was putting lives at risks...

LTNman
1st Apr 2020, 20:22
The law is there for a good reason and watching aircraft through a fence is not one of them. Do they not watch the news? 563 deaths today and people are going out plane spotting.

ericlday
1st Apr 2020, 20:35
Police not strict enough, here in Tenerife that would be an instant fine somewhere around 600€, that makes you think twice about disobeying the rules.

DC3 Dave
1st Apr 2020, 21:13
The law is there for a good reason and watching aircraft through a fence is not one of them. Do they not watch the news? 563 deaths today and people are going out plane spotting.

You’ve been all over the last few days. Hardly an airport in the south of England has not been visited by you. You didn’t seem too concerned about mortality rates when you gleefully reported that LTN had overtaken LGW in the current London airport standings.

Maybe I misunderstand you. Sometimes you seem to consider it’s your duty to veer away from your many informative posts to poke a sharp stick with the sole intent of a negative reaction.

And before anyone says anything, I plead guilty to being unable to rise above as I know I should.

AirportPlanner1
1st Apr 2020, 21:43
Planespotting in itself isn’t bad or against the rules assuming it’s part of daily exercise and you’ve walked from the home, possible at SEN, LTN and LHR. Of course it’s a different matter if you’ve driven 20 miles to get there or been standing there all day. Not that there’s too much to see.

I mean, if you know a C17 is coming and when and you get there at the right time good on you for taking a few pictures. If you start mingling with others I’d have no sympathy if you got carted off by the old bill

LTNman
1st Apr 2020, 22:13
You’ve been all over the last few days. Hardly an airport in the south of England has not been visited by you. You didn’t seem too concerned about mortality rates when you gleefully reported that LTN had overtaken LGW in the current London airport standings.

I have a daughter who is type 1 diabetic, a wife who had pneumonia at 19, gets asthma and has a poor immunity to infections and a son working in a London hospital who comes home every night to the family home so don’t talk to me about not being concerned about mortality rates. I am bloody frightened.

I could bite my tongue but posts like yours just get on my goat so I won’t. If you think 11 flights a day is something I would celebrate when this country is in a crisis you have lost the plot. I mentioned it once as far as I can remember and not as a celebration but as a reflection of how this industry is on its knees.

To be honest I would actually prefer LTN to have no passenger flights as flights spread diseases, which is how this country got infected in the first place.

Oh and I have amended the post in question just to make my position clear so it cannot be twisted.

I do apologise to the readers of this thread for my rant so can we just drop the subject and move back to SEN related posts

Buster the Bear
2nd Apr 2020, 00:09
Sadly some plane spotters seem above the law. They put others at risk of death. Stay safe, stay at home.

Expressflight
2nd Apr 2020, 06:49

Just for the record it flew two touch and go circuits. Leaving aside the wisdom of someone taking a video, and I lean towards it having been unwise personally, it's worth having a look at and it was very impressive. Someone in the Tower at SEN shot both so searching on fb for Southend airport ATC should find it without encouraging the person who shot the other footage from the church.

EDIT: The Echo 'newspaper' also has one of the Tower videos on its website.

AirportPlanner1
2nd Apr 2020, 08:45
Just for the record it flew two touch and go circuits. Leaving aside the wisdom of someone taking a video, and I lean towards it having been unwise personally, it's worth having a look at and it was very impressive. Someone in the Tower at SEN shot both so searching on fb for Southend airport ATC should find it without encouraging the person who shot the other footage from the church.

EDIT: The Echo 'newspaper' also has one of the Tower videos on its website.

Unless there’s another video out there I’ve not seen the person shooting from the church was also ATC

Expressflight
2nd Apr 2020, 09:18
Unless there’s another video out there I’ve not seen the person shooting from the church was also ATC
The social media profile of the person who shot the video from the church suggests that he has nothing to do with ATC.

EDIT: Someone just sent me the video you seem to have been referring to (I hadn't seen that one before) so, yes you are correct in what you say. The video I thought you meant was posted on a FB group and was taken from the churchyard so is a similar view.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
2nd Apr 2020, 19:35
C-17 gaining familiarity with a relatively narrow runway prior to operating into/out of London City????

racedo
2nd Apr 2020, 21:31

Maybe I misunderstand you. Sometimes you seem to consider it’s your duty to veer away from your many informative posts to poke a sharp stick with the sole intent of a negative reaction.

And before anyone says anything, I plead guilty to being unable to rise above as I know I should.

Playing man rather than ball comes to mind.

Buster the Bear
6th Apr 2020, 11:19
https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/366865/southend-airport-owner-exploring-funding-options

pabely
6th Apr 2020, 11:31
The Wizzair flights should have dried up completely now and I believe the Stobbart Jet Centre is closed as well. Can't see the point in staying open for Loganair only.

LTNman
6th Apr 2020, 11:52
Sense would dictate that they need to do what Easyjet and Ryanair are doing and preserve cash. Can’t see any point in keeping Southend open just to make their loses bigger.

Planespeaking
6th Apr 2020, 12:45
Sense would dictate that they need to do what Easyjet and Ryanair are doing and preserve cash. Can’t see any point in keeping Southend open just to make their loses bigger.
However there are the daily ASL flights operating on behalf of Amazon carrying the online orders to and from the distribution centres.

LTNman
6th Apr 2020, 13:51
Very true. Enough to make a profit or increase the losses? Jobs are being saved though, which is important, so Stobart should be commended as many airports have shut down.

tws123
6th Apr 2020, 14:16
Appears the ASL Cargo flights will also start operating to Rome (FCO), Barcelona and Leipzig/Halle imminently, in addition to the existing Milan (MXP) and Madrid flights.

davidjohnson6
6th Apr 2020, 17:11
Not sure if it’s been reported already but the IG Avion flights to Chateauroux cease next weekend. I thought they were originally scheduled all through the summer timetable. I’d be shocked if they return next year.

Little did we know in autumn 2018, that the route would return for a short period of time - but in 2020 instead of 2019, and with an A380 instead of a Saab 340...

SEN Observer
6th Apr 2020, 17:44
<a href="https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/366865/southend-airport-owner-exploring-funding-options">https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/366865/southend-airport-owner-exploring-funding-options</a><br /><br />One of the comments under the travel weekly article states that Wizz has confirmed the end of flights from SEN. Is this true? Has anyone else heard this? I certainly haven't.<br />

commit aviation
6th Apr 2020, 17:54
https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/366901/wizz-air-uk-romania-flights-suspended

SEN Observer
6th Apr 2020, 18:19
commit aviation - thanks for the article you have just posted. It is a different article from the one posted by Buster. The first comment under the article posted by Buster started "Wizz has announced the end of its flights from Southend". Perhaps it should have read "suspension" rather than "end". I do hope so.

Buster the Bear
6th Apr 2020, 18:26
I guess it all depends upon how quickly international travel is permitted. It certainly will take months for that to kick in.

pabely
6th Apr 2020, 19:05
And there àre factors outside SEN control. If we see some airlines fail and slots become available at LGW, STN & LTN, will WZZ, EZY & RYR stick around?

AirportPlanner1
6th Apr 2020, 19:06
Sadly I suspect the final Bucharest was the last we’ll see of Wizz at SEN. I just don’t believe the demand will be there to justify duplicating routes at LTN, SEN and LGW as well. Also, it was obvious SEN was overflow for LTN and I don’t believe that will be needed either. Throw in migrants having gone home and many likely won’t (or won’t be allowed to) return and you have the perfect storm.

AirportPlanner1
6th Apr 2020, 19:10
And there àre factors outside SEN control. If we see some airlines fail and slots become available at LGW, STN & LTN, will WZZ, EZY & RYR stick around?

Will EZY still be around full stop? Same question for WZZ.

So long as EZY survive they will stick with SEN I believe, I’d say STN is actually more vulnerable as a base if retrenchment is necessary. The ease and convenience of SEN gives it an edge and (until FR turned up at least) I understand yields out of SEN were good. I wouldn’t be shocked to see FR ditch SEN.

SARF
6th Apr 2020, 19:21
Lol.. in 6 months time this will be forgotten. Heathrow’s third runway will be kicked into the long grass , handy,for Boris that, Luton will be rammo this time next year and everyone will be whining about how they didn’t buy big oil shares at discount prices

Planespeaking
6th Apr 2020, 19:38
Lol.. in 6 months time this will be forgotten. Heathrow’s third runway will be kicked into the long grass , handy,for Boris that, Luton will be rammo this time next year and everyone will be whining about how they didn’t buy big oil shares at discount prices
Boris is in intensive care tonight. Just think before you write.

LTNman
6th Apr 2020, 20:01
When you think the news can’t get any worse it does with the news of our Prime Minister.

Southend had the cheapest Wizz price over the last week or two to Bucharest but they were still not cheap indicating there was good demand from the airport.

No one knows how this will play out but I am sure there will be a great deal of consolidation. Southend’s boast was that they offered an alternative to congested London airports. I would think they won’t be able to make that claim in the short to medium future

Buster the Bear
6th Apr 2020, 20:02
I hope Stobart has the funds to keep Southend alive and 'kicking over' long term. Same can be said of any other airport, airline, support service, etc. Anyone think that international air travel will get back to 'normal' this year? Plan for Spring 2021 and survive until then?

Get well soon BoJo.

SARF
6th Apr 2020, 20:07
Boris is in intensive care tonight. Just think before you write.
I know exactly where Boris is.. I also know where my best mate is at Southend general . If you want a emotive clap fest then fine jet blast is open . If you want discuss where we think Southend airport might be in a year or two then let’s stick to that on here

AirportPlanner1
6th Apr 2020, 20:11
Southend’s boast was that they offered an alternative to congested London airports. I would think they won’t be able to make that claim in the short to medium future

Not for airlines perhaps but it is still a small, easy and uncontested passenger experience and that will be the selling point

LTNman
6th Apr 2020, 21:01
Better for an airline that flies a route multiple times a week from multiple London Airports at a loss to cut capacity and fly those routes at a profit. Luton has seen it with TUI with its focus on Gatwick. Whether Southend can hang on to what it has will be doubtful.

AirportPlanner1
6th Apr 2020, 21:41
Better for an airline that flies a route multiple times a week from multiple London Airports at a loss to cut capacity and fly those routes at a profit. Luton has seen it with TUI with its focus on Gatwick. Whether Southend can hang on to what it has will be doubtful.

It won’t, but neither will any of the London airports including Heathrow. Heathrow will however fill up with airlines currently elsewhere, the Chinese at LGW more obviously but possibly down to the likes/equivalents of Air Moldova, Belavia and Georgian depending on the severity across the industry which loses major players.

LTNman
6th Apr 2020, 22:02
There will be a pecking order of airports as remaining airlines see opportunities at airports they would like to get a foothold in. I would think Gatwick will win business from both Stansted and Luton while as stated Heathrow will take business from Gatwick.

As for Southend maybe their future will be in short range cargo although nighttime restrictions won’t help. Can’t believe how bad the world looks tonight. Hoping for the best for everyone and everything but fearing the worst.

HZ123
7th Apr 2020, 01:57
It is not beyond the realms of possibility that IAG will regroup at LHR if as we assume and threaders suggest there may be a number of losers and closures. BA have for many years been unhappy at the cost of running an operation so close to LHR. IAG have a number of fledgling outfits that can take over the profitable Beach fleet routes, should they wish to retain a presence. Setting aside the major players that will leave SEN surely with a future, as it already as previously suggested has a reasonable record. What is key however is the reaction from the travelling public in the next few years. Will they want to travel as readily as the level we had reached and will they have the money. If we are not back to work by next month, those that have a job to return to, I cannot see people travelling.

I hope for the best outcome for all our sakes? LTNman sums it up well!

commit aviation
7th Apr 2020, 09:41
Back on topic. I've said it previously here, there will be massive pent up demand supported by lots of unspent cash. Once the CV is beaten life will return to normal and the airlines will be flying the hordes as per usual. The only concern is whether Stobart can ride out the storm as owners of SEN. The airport will still be there no matter who ends up owning it.

Demand - maybe but unspent cash? People have less money in their pockets and spending beyond essentials is at a near standstill crippled by uncertainty. It would take a lot of confidence to see an instant return to pre-Covid levels of activity and I am not seeing that level of optimism to be honest.
It would require all airlines and support companies to come out the end in exactly the same state as they were in before this began which however desirable feels unlikely. This morning the environmental lobby began their assault on the industry which may delay any government intervention (if any were coming which is seemingly less likely at the moment but who knows.)

My expectation is that demand will be lower but that supply will be too. If they remain balanced then the industry resets to this new lower benchmark and growth restarts from there but we won’t see 2019 traffic levels for several years to come (if ever.)
If supply exceeds demand, cheap fares abound and airlines go bust.
If demand exceeds supply, prices go up. Not popular with the travelling public who have grown accustomed to cheap air travel but might keep the green lobby happy by default.

This is basic market economics but clearly the outcome could and on a global level almost certainly will be affected by government intervention.
Which means any outcome is still possible and I personally am no closer to figuring out what our industry will look like this time next year!!
Whatever the outcome sadly I doubt we will see the taps turned back on with growth continuing unabated from 2019 levels.

Flightrider
7th Apr 2020, 10:37
I've said it previously here, there will be massive pent up demand supported by lots of unspent cash. Once the CV is beaten life will return to normal and the airlines will be flying the hordes as per usual.

Completely delusional. The impact of this on unemployment levels, personal borrowing and reductions in disposable incomes will have a significant impact on discretionary demand probably stretching to years rather than months.

LGS6753
7th Apr 2020, 11:22
The almost universal view is that we are in a recession. It's clear that people have already lost their jobs, whilst others have lost chunks of their income. The idea that things will bounce back to where they were is on the unrealistic side of optimistic.
Recession means reduced demand, and that means overcapacity. Shrinking a business successfully is a very difficult thing, and many otherwise good businesses will fail, adding to the woe.
As Southend is the most marginal of the London-area airports, I would expect it to suffer sooner than the others. The Wizzair operation is unlikely to last in the long-term, and you can be sure that Ryanair will use the situation to reduce its costs - that could affect SEN, STN, LTN and/or LGW.
I don't see an influx of newly formed airlines, but we could see overseas operators opening new London services to any of the London-area airports.

SARF
7th Apr 2020, 17:40
the pent up demand will be huge.. once again the brunt of this will be on the younger and poorer .. those that don't frequent airports.

the hosing of taxpayers cash will benefit those with assets just as it did in 2008 onwards .. those that love an airport. when Heathrow gets shafted and all this becomes a distant memory. they will talking about another runway and Gatwick or stanners sooner than you think

aurigny72
7th Apr 2020, 19:34
Wizz Air has Bucharest 5 times weekly and Vilnius 3 times weekly from SEN on sale for winter 2020/21 subject i guess to Covid-19

BA318
7th Apr 2020, 20:25
the pent up demand will be huge.. once again the brunt of this will be on the younger and poorer .. those that don't frequent airports.

the hosing of taxpayers cash will benefit those with assets just as it did in 2008 onwards .. those that love an airport. when Heathrow gets shafted and all this becomes a distant memory. they will talking about another runway and Gatwick or stanners sooner than you think

You are more optimistic than the airlines. Lufthansa doesn’t expect demand to go back to 2019 levels for several years. Even on short haul they are retiring 11 A320s and 10 will also leave Eurowings.

The younger and poorer absolutely do frequent airports now. Masses of the growth has been that people who previously couldn’t afford to travel do now. Think Eastern Europeans coming to work in the UK and then going home for visits, students on weekends breaks, people commuting etc.

This will also make people realise their priorities. On a personal level I commute between London and Stockholm (usually from LHR with SAS) but following this, it has made me want to end the arrangement as soon as possible and I’ll relocate fully to Sweden ASAP so I don’t end up stuck or apart from my family in the future.

AirportPlanner1
8th Apr 2020, 15:01
The final pax flight for time being will be tomorrow as the Derry service is moving to STN until 1 June. This is because SEN’s terminal will be shut. Little surprise as it made no sense to open and staff the place for no more than a handful of pax.

pabely
8th Apr 2020, 15:25
The final pax flight for time being will be tomorrow as the Derry service is moving to STN until 1 June. This is because SEN’s terminal will be shut. Little surprise as it made no sense to open and staff the place for no more than a handful of pax.

Nothing happening South side then with the Jet Centre being closed as well :-(

Barling Magna
8th Apr 2020, 17:28
JOTA still scurrying around Europe from SEN.

Barling Magna
10th Apr 2020, 12:34
JOTA's Tango Sierra has flown out to Casablanca this morning on another repatriation flight.

HZ123
10th Apr 2020, 14:17
Slightly bemused how much longer are these people going to take to get repatriated?