PDA

View Full Version : Southend-2

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

asdf1234
5th Feb 2018, 14:59
PS: Share price has nose-dived since Christmas with the company buying-back Invesco held shares last Friday in an attempt to stop the fall. No discernible reason why however.

Expressflight
5th Feb 2018, 15:08
I've had problems getting the fuel truck out to client's aircraft in the past as Stobarts seem to prioritise EasyJet and Flybe. With just 2 bowsers it may be that King Power got fed up with being at the bottom of the fuel pecking order?

Yes that would tend to annoy the customer and maybe there's a mindset there needs changing, if it still exists. In the 'old days' fueling could be a problem because the airport authority operated the bowsers but with Stobart controlling all groundside ops it should be easier. It comes back to the same old thing though if you don't have equipment and staffing levels readily available to meet those peaks in demand you'll have a problem sometimes. Hopefully they've now identified and eliminated most of those problems.

tophat27dt
5th Feb 2018, 20:10
December passengers

Vienna 1143
Lyon 1524
Paris-CDG 4338
Rennes 3521
Cologne 2465
Dublin 8711
Malta 2404
Amsterdam 15480
Groningen 2285
Faro 3131
Alicante 7013
Barcelona 2138
Malaga 4664
Arrecife 2443
Teneriffe 2894
Geneva 5777
Prague 4172
Budapest 1748
Glasgow 2922
Manchester 3722

Total 82495 (+30.57% on Dec 2016)

LTNman
5th Feb 2018, 21:14
That’s the issue with one size fits all with Stobart providing and sharing their services. FBO’s will very often use their own fuel trucks, de-ices etc rather than sit at the end of the queue.

flight_mode
5th Feb 2018, 22:04
I assume they are down in sympathy. FTSE250 has been heading south since the start of the year.

Expressflight
6th Feb 2018, 08:37
Actually the CAA stats give a monthly total of 83,558 pax (1,063 are unattributed to a destination so may be diversions) and importantly the CAA quoted growth year on year is 48%.

asdf1234
6th Feb 2018, 12:18
I assume they are down in sympathy. FTSE250 has been heading south since the start of the year.

In the past 4 days they have spent £2.5m in hard cash buying up shares from their institutional investors. And Mr. Tinkler himself has put his own cash in to the tune of £620k to add to the share buy-back. Let's hope there is a canny plan afoot!

Andy_S
6th Feb 2018, 13:39
STOB share price has dropped about 16% since the beginning of January while the FTSE 250 has dropped 8%.

Looking at a longer time frame, STOB have dropped about 22% from their high in the first week of September 2017 while the FTSE 250 has fallen by 2% in the same period.

Of course, there's a prospective dividend yield of 7.1% on offer, if you believe that's sustainable.

flight_mode
6th Feb 2018, 17:04
They’ve bought another 200,000 shares from Invesco again today. Third transaction this month. I have some thoughts, but I love to know the definitive reason(s) for the unannounced buy-back.

asdf1234
6th Feb 2018, 17:13
The company say that they are stocking up on shares for distribution to employees via the share incentive plan. All well and good.

Others might see it as a way to reward their institutional backers without having to increase the dividend for all shareholders.

The key question is this: does the share price dip coupled with the cash outflow on share buybacks negatively impact airport or airline operations? I don't know but maybe someone here could comment?

flight_mode
6th Feb 2018, 17:29
Thanks asdf, I didn't know the official line.

I think the short answer to your question on impact is no.

Nextprop
6th Feb 2018, 19:16
It's been suggested that a new three weekly Paderborn service will be opened by Adria Airways this summer. Small progress, but every little helps.

Source below (in German):

Adria Airways plant Paderborn-Wien - Austrian Aviation Net (http://www.austrianaviation.net/detail/adria-airways-plant-paderborn-wien/)

Barling Magna
6th Feb 2018, 22:02
Yes, that's good news. Let's hope this service lasts longer than Adria's Maribor service a couple of years ago.

mik3bravo
6th Feb 2018, 23:14
They’ve bought another 200,000 shares from Invesco again today. Third transaction this month. I have some thoughts, but I love to know the definitive reason(s) for the unannounced buy-back.

Shareholders getting twitchy? Buyback to calm the shareholders down and keep them sweet with further investment reward? Or simply trying to bump their EPS. Who knows but missed strategic growth forecasts may not be acceptable to investors which is my theory, are they possibly trying to keep them onside?

AirportPlanner1
7th Feb 2018, 06:38
Approximate December loads for Stobart routes

Dublin - 72.6 (61.5%),
Glasgow - 39.5 (33.5%)
Manchester - 27.4 (39%)
Cologne - 72.5 (61.4)
Budapest - 67.2 (57%),
Prague - 94.8 (80.4%)
Rennes - 46.3 (66.2%)
Groningen - 45.7 (65.3)
Vienna - 63.5 (53.8%),
Lyon (approximate based on EZY assumption) - 46.9 (39.7%)

All in all not too bad. Glasgow continues to be quite poor, Manchester has improved on November but still needs improvement. Cologne seems to have done better than I expected. Lyon looks to have been weak which would explain why it was dropped for January.

bigjim99
7th Feb 2018, 07:26
I beg to differ, must be costing STK a fortune to run their routes. Something will have to give one day!

Surely it would make sense to look to convert MAN/GLA/GRQ/RNS into AT46 routes?

Whilst fuel costs will be similar to a AT76, leasing/purchase will be 30% cheaper (I expect they've got EI-GEV a lump cheaper again as it had been sat around for a while). SEN base still relies to a certain extent on crew from DUB/ORK bases all of which adds further costs, to reduce CC to 1 would be helpful.

At least figures would show good loads, one of a more successful airport. Not only that they'd not be throwing a shed load of money down the drain each flight and actually stand a chance of brining something in.

Why MAN/GLA were chosen over BHD/EDI from the outside seems madness. Seemed more than enough trade to BHD/EDI to support ATR operations when EZY operated them or are there restrictions with BE on these routes?

Quite what they are going to do with the full compliment of E-jets I don't know. Would probably make more sense to try and persuade EI to let them operate a number of them under the EIR banner.

Expressflight
7th Feb 2018, 07:55
bigjim99

I suspect that STK would have chosen BHD and/or EDI ahead of GLA but there was no way BE would have approved that for competitive reasons. I tend to agree that a couple of AT46s for the SEN base would make sense for MAN, CFR, ANR, RNS & GRQ, particularly because of GRQ's frequency increases this year.

It's an interesting suggestion that the E-Jets could operate under the EIR brand but I seem to remember that not being permitted under the franchise agreement. Perhaps someone closer to the action can comment on that.

stewyb
7th Feb 2018, 08:24
Simples, Stobart will undertake more chartering using any surplus E95!

AirportPlanner1
7th Feb 2018, 08:42
bigjim - you're idea would only really work with the GLA route, and that makes the suggestion unviable.

GLA has as far as I'm aware been persistently poor, whereas MAN has been erratic with some flights virtually full and others almost empty. As an extreme example last week one flight was upgraded to an E195 and had 100+ on board ahead of Spurs v Man U.

The average for RNS and GRQ on an AT4 would be nothing like mid-40s because the capacity cap means you would lose pax on flights where current loads exceed 48. The AT7 works just fine, likewise for MAN because a number of individual flights have had loads in the 50s and 60s, but I accept for the latter they need greater consistency and to get the overall average up. To be fair RNS and GRQ had similar averages in the early days and they've now grown, hopefully MAN will do the same but we'll see.

goldeneye
7th Feb 2018, 09:10
I think Glasgow is poor as its not a double daily service on all weekdays, Think if travelers could do a day trip most days it might attract the business market.

cumbrianboy
7th Feb 2018, 10:23
You have to remember that MAN, GLA etc are only 2 months old. Routes take 1-3 years to mature and establish, and I am told that forward bookings are improving.

The AT46 has almost the same operating economics as the AT76 so there is actually not that much advantage in operating the smaller aircraft apart from driving up seat costs.

I have always said I think MAN will mature, it will be a slow burn but it is a useful route and when it gets into the public consciousness it could tick over quite nicely.

Launching routes in winter is always harder than the summer as demand is generally lower, and January is of course a very poor month, but as we look to the spring i imagine the loads will improve and the routes will do well.

GLA does double daily in the summer season and that could help its fortunes somewhat.

As for EJETs in Ireland, who knows, anything is possible I guess.

cumbrianboy
7th Feb 2018, 10:24
Stobart are taking one additional AT46 into the fleet when the exisiting AT43s retire in the next few weeks. The AT46 is specifically for the CFN route as it is performance limiting for the AT76 due to field length limitations, and has an operating restriction on which crews can operate it.

The rest of the ATR fleet will be AT75/6s as I said above, there is little economic advantage of the smaller aircraft.

tophat27dt
7th Feb 2018, 10:34
I totally agree with Cumbrianboy. the VLM FK50 service from LUX to LCY took 12 months to get 75%+ load factors in competition beside Luxair. Some observers here are suspicious doom and gloomers even before a new route starts. Judge it after a full 12 months and then tell me what you guys think please!

Expressflight
7th Feb 2018, 10:51
cumbrianboy

Thanks for your useful insight on the subject of AT76 vs AT46 suitability for the SEN routes.

I agree that it is much too early to judge any of the new routes and that should wait until the end of this summer season allows some reasoned judgments to be made. I do feel though that the AT46 could have a useful role at SEN. The GRQ frequencies increase greatly this year and I think the AT46 would be appropriate on that route. Also you have to balance frequencies to demand and the smaller aircraft allows you to make the best market penetration. RNS is a route which benefited greatly from being double daily but the AT76 was just too big for that to continue economically this year apparently so I would put the AT46 on that route and restore its previous frequency. If, of course, the DOC savings are minimal between the two aircraft it is useful, as you suggest, to maximise on peak demands but are their respective costs really that similar?

southside bobby
7th Feb 2018, 11:05
Don`t forget RYR recommence STN-GLA from 25.3.18 at 3 daily & appears fares promo underway too.

RYR halting their service for the Winter due to the crewing issues was remarked "a bonus for Stobart" on here at the time....

tophat27dt
7th Feb 2018, 12:15
Whilst I don't use Ryanair, I am sure its a "threat" to the Glasgow route from SEN. The future of this route is on hold for me. I do believe the Manchester route will improve, especially if a few pax are fed in from Groningen, for example.

inOban
7th Feb 2018, 12:32
But EZY also fly GLA to STN, and all year round, so if PAX find STN convenient, then they're already going that way.

southside bobby
7th Feb 2018, 12:58
If only.....not quite as simple as that.

mikkie4
8th Feb 2018, 10:35
starting tomorrow (fri) Amsterdam will be 4 x daily on fri/sun only for the next 2 weeks...ALL FLIGHTS SOLD OUT FOR THE SUNDAY FLIGHT....never had 4 x daily before ,maybe its a sign of things to come:D

Barling Magna
8th Feb 2018, 10:36
Let's hope so indeed.

SEN Observer
8th Feb 2018, 13:49
Another gem from Glyn Jones

Airport boss proposes to extend Elizabeth Line to Southend Airport | Echo (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15965027.Southend_Airport_boss_proposes_to_extend_Elizabeth_ Line_to_Southend_Airport/)

Barling Magna
8th Feb 2018, 14:34
10 million pax? You're having a laugh, Glyn boyo.

asdf1234
9th Feb 2018, 06:43
Another gem from Glyn Jones

Airport boss proposes to extend Elizabeth Line to Southend Airport | Echo (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15965027.Southend_Airport_boss_proposes_to_extend_Elizabeth_ Line_to_Southend_Airport/)

If they really want to get more pax through the door is it not time to seriously consider remodelling the runway. 1,799m is not good enough for a "London" airport.

SEN Observer
9th Feb 2018, 06:46
starting tomorrow (fri) Amsterdam will be 4 x daily on fri/sun only for the next 2 weeks...ALL FLIGHTS SOLD OUT FOR THE SUNDAY FLIGHT....never had 4 x daily before ,maybe its a sign of things to come:D

According to the departures/arrivals boards there are 3 flights today, not 4. Not trying to be picky Mikkie4, but what goes on? Has SEN forgotten to put the additional flights on their boards? Not trying to pick holes in the previous report; just confused.

Plane.Silly
9th Feb 2018, 06:53
If they really want to get more pax through the door is it not time to seriously consider remodelling the runway. 1,799m is not good enough for a "London" airport.

Totally agree. Though which end would you extend? at a push you could maybe get another 250m or so at the 05 end, cutting it close to the A127. Certainly can't extend at 23 with Rochford so close

Didn't others have a similar argument on the SOU thread?

Planespeaking
9th Feb 2018, 07:04
If you extended the runway to the southwest then the high ground at Bridgewater Drive becomes an obstacle, but because the runway is non- standard width it doesn't matter if you put down 3000metres its usable length would remain the same, and it would still be limited to aircraft up to about B757 size. It would be very difficult to widen the runway because of buildings that would then be brought within the strip width.

SEN Observer
9th Feb 2018, 08:08
Re my previous post on the number of Amsterdam flights today, whilst there is no mention on the SEN boards of a 4th flight, there is a 4th one showing on Flightradar24 but marked as canceled (sic)

Expressflight
9th Feb 2018, 08:12
According to the departures/arrivals boards there are 3 flights today, not 4. Not trying to be picky Mikkie4, but what goes on? Has SEN forgotten to put the additional flights on their boards? Not trying to pick holes in the previous report; just confused.

The 1230 EZY7407 departure is cancelled with easyJet saying it's due to expected adverse weather conditions in AMS, although only light snow seems to be forecast. Perhaps they forgot to apply for the extra slot!

AirportPlanner1
9th Feb 2018, 08:18

Why? Less works fine for LCY which is definitely a "London" airport. They couldn't add much more length, then there is the issue of width and obstruction. Massive cost for minimal benefit. Newer aircraft coming on line with better range will open new opportunities.

Expressflight
9th Feb 2018, 08:28
I see that OAG lists SEN as the most punctual airport serving London in January with on time departures at 90.9%. This compared to LTN at 82.7%, STN at 74% and LCY at 69.9%.

Plane.Silly
9th Feb 2018, 08:57
Liking the omission of LHR and LGW. I imagine they would screw the stats to no end :p

Expressflight
9th Feb 2018, 09:04
I assume you are inferring that I've deliberately left out the LHR and LGW figures because they would reflect badly on SEN - yes? If so pull those horns in P.S and your tongue while you're at it.

LHR was 80.7% and LGW 71.1% and the only reason I didn't include them is that most discussions on here involve SEN's relationship with LTN, STN and LCY. To have included LHR and LGW initially would make SEN look even better.

Plane.Silly
9th Feb 2018, 09:51
Don't need bad stats to make SEN look even better, their 90.9% alone does a good job.

Just that you said airports serving London, and not including the 2 biggest, i thought there was a reason for the omission. Bigger airport = more likely to have delays, hence my playful reasoning.

southside bobby
9th Feb 2018, 10:34
Eurostar will begin direct rail services between London & Amsterdam on 4th April & is set to challenge the airlines.

ErwinFCG
9th Feb 2018, 10:39
The 1230 EZY7407 departure is cancelled with easyJet saying it's due to expected adverse weather conditions in AMS, although only light snow seems to be forecast.
Because of expected snow, also KLM and Transavia cancelled at least 52 flights to and from AMS for today. So it seems to make sense that Easyjet (as the second-largest airline at Schiphol, after Air France-KLM) also cancels some.

Not only the flight to Southend was cancelled, but also EZY 2156 to Luton, EZY 7911 to Lyon, EZY 3004 to Stansted, EZY 2726 to Milan, EZY 1838 to Manchester, EZY 8876 to Gatwick, and EZY 7919 to Bordeaux. British Airways, Flybe, and Corendon also cancelled a few flights.

DC3 Dave
9th Feb 2018, 11:04
10 million pax? You're having a laugh, Glyn boyo.

He's spouting the corporate line again. It's a nonsense, isn't it. Even looking at a 3 million pax p.a. target it's a real tough ask. Mr Jones will tell you 3 million is only around 2% of the London airports' pie, but it's not quite as simple as that. Just how many London pax are on aircraft that cannot use SEN? 100 million? (I don't know - perhaps someone does). So, in reality, 3 million p.a. is a much larger slice of a smaller pie. Glyn Jones' 10 million would probably represent SEN taking 15 - 20% of the market available to them.

Pain in the R's
9th Feb 2018, 11:29
I wonder if Glyn Jones posts here under an alias? Might account for some of the fantasy posts I seem to read on this thread almost daily.

DC3 Dave
11th Feb 2018, 07:57
Can anyone add to this piece?

Ice will not cause delays at Southend Airport any longer | Echo (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15985092.Ice_will_not_cause_delays_at_Southend_Airport_any_l onger/)

cumbrianboy
11th Feb 2018, 08:07
Seems fairly self explanatory to me, de-ice during the taxi is a lot quicker than deicing on stand ...

DC3 Dave
11th Feb 2018, 08:14
I'm just asking about the "First airport in Britain" and "Innovative new technology" claims.
It's obviously a good addition.

Also, where is it located?

Expressflight
11th Feb 2018, 08:18
DC3 Dave

They've put in a de-icing pad on taxiway B and the aircraft taxies to the pad where two de-icer rigs are positioned. I don't know about it being the first such installation in the country - I thought LTN had something similar.

tophat27dt
11th Feb 2018, 09:42
I think it's a very good acquisition. Even at giant Luxembourg we dont have one here yet!

LTNman
11th Feb 2018, 10:49
Gatwick and Luton both use remote de-icing and there might be others in the UK.
Luton uses the south stands which is parallel to the runway. They use 4 de-icers at 2 per aircraft so 2 aircraft can be done at the same time plus the standard stand de-icers that float around the airport.

Tagron
11th Feb 2018, 10:58
Remote deicing facilities have been in use at some of the major European airports for literally decades. Oslo, Munich, Vienna, Paris CDG and Helsinki are examples that come to mind

There was some discussion on the BA thread back in December, where it was suggested that LHR has provision for such pads even though they are not in use.

Its hard to see how bringing a couple of deicing trucks to a fixed location can represent cutting edge technology unless they are doing something clever with the run off. That having been said I agree it can certainly be a more efficient method than on stand de-icing.

The new Link Taxiway Z is presumably to facilitate access to and from the de-icing pad.

Expressflight
11th Feb 2018, 11:30
The run off of de-icing fluid is collected in tanks for processing and disposal so I suppose that is a useful improvement. Is the facility at LTN used 'engines running' as at SEN? Taxiway Z is not yet in use so the de-icing pad on B is accessed direct from the terminal stands and I assume the de-iced aircraft proceeds along B to the runway.

Alteagod
11th Feb 2018, 11:41
Did someone commit the cardinal sin in aviation and say the words never happen re icing

Tagron
11th Feb 2018, 22:32
The advantage of taxiway Zulu (when it opens) is that it will obviate the need for additional runway backtracking following deicing. The STOP/DEICE markings as depicted on the AIP chart indicate the deicing pad can be accessed from either direction. This allows the option of entering the pad from the NW via Zulu and Bravo then proceeding to RW05 via Charlie. Of course runway backtracking is hardly an issue at present with the low current movement levels, but could become so in the future.

Harry Wayfarers
12th Feb 2018, 01:10
Getting plenty of diverts with LCY closed? :)

LTNman
12th Feb 2018, 04:32
The last scheduled arrival was I believe at 22:00. The airport closes at 22:30 anyway with the final 30 minutes for late arrivals.

SEN Observer
12th Feb 2018, 06:55
There are quite a number of diversions already on the arrivals board. With LCY closed all day we will hopefully do quite well out of their misfortune. For anyone who's not heard, there's a WW2 bomb been found in the watery depths.

LTNman
12th Feb 2018, 09:22
So where was Glyn Jones at the weekend? Did he drop something over the side in his bid to drum up more movements at SEN:=

Harry Wayfarers
12th Feb 2018, 09:26
And what have SEN done to pee off Alitalia causing them to divert to STN ... Did you ask them to pay the bill? :)

Expressflight
12th Feb 2018, 11:38
STN is simply Alitalia's number one LCY diversion airport. In fact they have never used SEN for LCY diversions. Still Cityjet, Luxair, Sun Air and Skywork will keep SEN fairly busy today. I think virtually every other airline has cancelled all LCY flights for today with BACF obviously having most of their aircraft trapped at LCY in any event.

tws123
13th Feb 2018, 18:50
Air Malta is planning to start operating flights to London Southend from European airports. Chairman of Air Malta Charles Mangion said the company’s plans will be announced in the coming weeks. SEN apparently offers the airline advantageous conditions.

Cagliari 2x weekly from May is confirmed, Summer only.

tophat27dt
14th Feb 2018, 04:58
This is very interesting and, for me, unexpected news. I wonder who was responsible for clinching such a deal. SEN now have to start advertising their new flights to Paderborn, Chateauroux, and now Air Malta destination(s) to give the routes the best chance of winning support. I will be looking to see if the schedules are during the quieter hours when trains are running frequently to London, etc instead of the late evening rush to catch the last train.

Harry Wayfarers
14th Feb 2018, 06:51
Chateauroux

Chateroux, home of the exocet missile as made famous during the Falklands confict and supplied to Argentina via S. Africa c/o of Cargolux & AOM Minerve!

I was contracting pilots to Air Malta in one of my previous lives circa 2002-2006, talk about a shoestring budget Air Malta simply wouldn't authorise their Flight Ops to spend more than coins on agency fees, I still recall one Aussie pilot referring to his Air Malta salary as "Job Seekers Allowance", I'd imagine that SEN have offered them a bargain basement price for their custom.

asdf1234
14th Feb 2018, 07:36
Chateroux, home of the exocet missile as made famous during the Falklands confict and supplied to Argentina via S. Africa c/o of Cargolux & AOM Minerve!

I was contracting pilots to Air Malta in one of my previous lives circa 2002-2006, talk about a shoestring budget Air Malta simply wouldn't authorise their Flight Ops to spend more than coins on agency fees, I still recall one Aussie pilot referring to his Air Malta salary as "Job Seekers Allowance", I'd imagine that SEN have offered them a bargain basement price for their custom.

Does this mean Air Malta are going toe to toe with easyJet? There can only be one winner in that contest!

DC3 Dave
14th Feb 2018, 07:42
This is very interesting and, for me, unexpected news. I wonder who was responsible for clinching such a deal. SEN now have to start advertising their new flights to Paderborn, Chateauroux, and now Air Malta destination(s) to give the routes the best chance of winning support. I will be looking to see if the schedules are during the quieter hours when trains are running frequently to London, etc instead of the late evening rush to catch the last train.

This is good news! The train service falls down for those on the first departures, or those on the last arrivals, but non-based aircraft should operate within either extreme, and suddenly the train link to London becomes a real positive for the airport.

AirportPlanner1
14th Feb 2018, 08:10
Is there a source for this information? I can’t see anything online. If the intention is to start this summer, they had better get a move on.

If it’s true, I could see Catania being one of the routes. Poorly served outside of Gatwick, and a former Air Malta destination from LGW until EZY showed up.

Barling Magna
14th Feb 2018, 10:57
You can see Air malta's chairman describing the new plans on maltese TV at this link:

https://tinyurl.com/yah8zo28

Buster the Bear
14th Feb 2018, 16:56
The marketing manager of the #Sogaer, Dr. David Crognaletti, was announced last Friday at Air Malta. The connections will be a Malta - Cagliari - London Southend from May twice a week.

This is another step in the process of implantation of the Sardinian airport network well established and built by the arrival in Cagliari just two years ago by Crognaletti, manager of undisputed capacity in this area.

tws123
14th Feb 2018, 20:01
Catania is also a rumoured destination at 2x weekly.

tophat27dt
14th Feb 2018, 21:16
I wonder when will Stobart confirm all this.

Expressflight
16th Feb 2018, 08:52
I see that LSA have appointed Bernard Lavelle to the post of Aviation Business Development Director. He was Sales Director at LCY for the past 12 years so should have very good contacts within the appropriate areas of the industry. I'm not quite sure who was carrying out that role at SEN in the recent past.

Barling Magna
16th Feb 2018, 13:05
When did Mike Robinson leave that post?

Expressflight
16th Feb 2018, 14:28
He appears to have left sometime in 2017 and joined, it seems, Starbow in Accra who I think have since ceased operations.

Barling Magna
16th Feb 2018, 15:48
Oh dear..... not so good for him. On the other hand Mr Lavelle sounds like a good appointment for SEN. I suspect he wouldn't have let King Power slip through his hands.

DC3 Dave
17th Feb 2018, 08:26
Clearly Mr Lavelle has been inducted into SEN's inner sanctum. He has already been given a copy of Glyn Jones' script. (Commonly known as 'The Jam Tomorrow Papers')

ADS Advance - Southend Airport appoints Bernard Lavelle as Aviation Business Development Director (http://www.adsadvance.co.uk/southend-airport-appoints-bernard-lavelle-as-aviation-business-development-director.html)

If they are to double pax within 12 months they surely must be close to announcing something substantial?

Barling Magna
17th Feb 2018, 08:30
"The plan is to double (passenger numbers) over the next 12 months"

Well, that's the plan. Maybe he's bringing a LCY operator with him....?

Or maybe he isn't.

Expressflight
17th Feb 2018, 10:51
If they are to double pax within 12 months they surely must be close to announcing something substantial?

Well they were extremely close to clinching something substantial last autumn that would have generated at least 300,000ppa. I'll be accused of making excuses but I know how close this came to being a reality and but for the Monarch failure I believe it would have happened. I'm not revealing the carrier as I still believe it may be resurrected for 2019.

At least SEN now has someone at the business development helm with the knowledge and current contacts to, at the very least, start making phone calls and setting up meetings. Obtaining anything substantial though for S2018 looks unlikely over and above Air Malta which may produce some interesting developments in the near future.

SWBKCB
17th Feb 2018, 11:40
Bernard Lavelle, Aviation Business Development Director of London Southend Airport, said: “It’s not hard to see the huge potential for London Southend. With one million passengers a year, the plan is to double that number over the next 12 months. Ultimately, the airport has capacity for ten million which would go some way in alleviating the dire shortage of space in the south east.

So being generous, he has to secure the deal referred to by Expressflight and two bigger one's in the next twelve months - will be good going.

DC3 Dave
17th Feb 2018, 11:50
Looks like a real smart appointment by Stobart. The man is clearly doesn't lack relevant experience and has achieved much personally. I hope he makes a success of his new role, it can be really tough though to start again after 30 years in one location.

rog747
17th Feb 2018, 11:56
what happened to the NQY - did it not work?

Barling Magna
17th Feb 2018, 13:17
Ah, I thought the substantial carrier last autumn was Air Malta, so I'm pleased to hear that another airline is possible.

inOban
17th Feb 2018, 13:22
Apologies for intruding from 500 miles away, but aren't there a number of routes which started up during 2017, and so will operate for longer this year; and other new routes already confirmed, so there should be organic growth. Without any further announcements, what is predicted PAX numbers for 2018?

Expressflight
17th Feb 2018, 13:27
I would think they may make 1.3m to 1.4m in 2018 on the basis of routes already existing/recently launched or announced.

Expressflight
18th Feb 2018, 10:16
Some additional EZY frequencies have been added for the summer season to fully occupy the 4th based aircraft.

ALC is now 10x weekly, with additional flights on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
MLA has a Tuesday flights added making it 3x weekly.
PRG is now 4x weekly with additional flights on Wednesday and Sunday.

tophat27dt
18th Feb 2018, 10:39
I still don't fully understand why low cost airlines love to jump in on existing routes, often on the same days. Will both survive? Or does this combined effort show growth for both airlines?

tophat27dt
18th Feb 2018, 10:43
I still believe there is a good enough demand for a 70-100 seater to Belfast, Nice, Edinburgh, Berlin, Munich, Innsbruck and Vienna.

BA318
18th Feb 2018, 11:06
Bernard is a fantastic appointment. He is very well respected and pretty much worked alone at LCY to attract airlines - and did very well at that so I think we might see some developments now.

Barling Magna
18th Feb 2018, 13:06
Sounds like just the chap SEN needs. Let's hope he can do it.

AirportPlanner1
18th Feb 2018, 15:47
So long as Belfast and Edinburgh continue to be served by BE from LCY you won’t see it being done at SEN.

Should Stobart ever take over BE, perhaps it would be a different story.

Berlin did extremely well on an A319, until it was switched to a late night arrival into SEN.

tws123
18th Feb 2018, 18:42
Air Malta - CTA-SEN 2x weekly from 3 May 2018 to 27 October 2018, operating on Monday and Thursday according to Catania Airport’s website - Ricerca voli - Aeroporto Internazionale Catania (http://www.aeroporto.catania.it/voli/ricerca-voli/)

Flight numbers: KM184 (CTA-SEN) and KM185 (SEN-CTA)

daz211
18th Feb 2018, 19:20
Looking at the Manchester thread Ryanair starting MAN-CTA I’m wondering if we might see this route picked up at STN also.
Personally I hope not as this route is good for SEN and with a new airline but who knows maybe one to watch.

flight_mode
18th Feb 2018, 19:22
Hiring Bernard Lavelle is a smart move :ok:

LAX_LHR
18th Feb 2018, 19:23
Doesn’t appear to be a STN route at present, just LGW/LTN and SEN at present for London.

AirportPlanner1
18th Feb 2018, 20:05
One problem it may encounter for British customers is the 06:50 departure from Catania. The town/resort of Taormina is by far the biggest draw and it’s a good 90 minutes away meaning leaving the hotel in the early hours.

The SEN-CTA is quite attractive though, as BA, EZY and TOM all leave here at the crack of dawn.

tophat27dt
18th Feb 2018, 21:08
Now it's up to Stobart to advertise it here.

Expressflight
19th Feb 2018, 07:44
It seems that SEN-MLA on Air Malta will be direct on Tuesday, Friday & Saturday, via CTA on Monday & Thursday and via CAG on Wednesday & Sunday. Rather odd that EZY added an additional Tuesday flight just yesterday from July.

tophat27dt
19th Feb 2018, 07:49
Are the direct flights new with Air Malta, or you mean the EZY schedule?

Expressflight
19th Feb 2018, 07:53
As I said direct with AMC 3 x weekly with EZY also now 3 x weekly.

tophat27dt
19th Feb 2018, 07:56
Sorry, I just read it again. I am worried this might be an overkill on sales to Malta. As I always say, let's wait and see.

AirportPlanner1
19th Feb 2018, 08:13
It’s competitively priced, £69 return. Very early departure from MLA though.

I’d fly out on KM mid-morning, back on EZY in the evening. .

Expressflight
19th Feb 2018, 08:26
The direct flights dep MLA 0645 and dep SEN 0950. Flight time 3:20.

tws123
19th Feb 2018, 08:43
Will these be seasonal or year round?

Air Malta are calling SEN their low cost experiment, from an airport which is still establishing itself. They will be leasing an additional aircraft for the routes.

asdf1234
19th Feb 2018, 09:59
I am surprised Air Malta feel they can meet EasyJet head on in competition for this route. EasyJet will win the price war - however I look forward to being proved wrong! My concern from the very beginning was that EasyJet being resident at the airport would stifle competition and the arrival of new carriers.

Planespeaking
19th Feb 2018, 10:03
Interesting in the video of the press launch of the Air Malta SEN routes Glynn Jones states that total pax numbers at Southend will ' definitely' double this year.

Presumably there are new carriers and routes yet to be announced in order to reach that level of increase.

tophat27dt
19th Feb 2018, 10:39
Time is running out to start new routes before May 1st in order to double the figures. Next year they might achieve it, but SEN has been full of surprises in the past, some worked out, some didn't.

tophat27dt
20th Feb 2018, 09:59
Air Malta new routes have at last been announced by Stobart and an article is written in the local Evening Echo newspaper today. The Chateauroux flights are available to book now using various agencies and direct from the airline.

viscount3
20th Feb 2018, 10:06
I hope in time other airlines will come on board! ;)

SEN Observer
20th Feb 2018, 12:47
Even if the new routes have been announced, the web site (as ever) hasn't caught up. Whilst Malta is in the destinations section of the website it only acknowledges easyJet as the operator and no mention at all of Air Malta or the new island destinations. Why can't they be ready to update their website simultaneously with the announcement??!! Sounds like right and left hand.

Planespeaking
20th Feb 2018, 13:03
I agree the airport website is history. I wonder how many passengers and therefore revenue is lost because of a lack of up to date information and promotion.For an organisation that is supposed to be media savvy Stobart's SEN website leaves a lot to be desired.

Expressflight
20th Feb 2018, 13:21
It never ceases to amaze me that they neglect their website to such an extent. I wonder who in the organisation bears responsibility for this state of affairs.

OpsSix
20th Feb 2018, 15:07
Unfortunately, it's how SEN is run and the website is just a small part of the overall incompetence displayed.

runwayman
20th Feb 2018, 15:20
The website now has the Air Malta flights on it when you go onto the site

AirportPlanner1
20th Feb 2018, 15:49
The website isnt as important as it was. It’s Facebook etc that matters, and Stobart do that pretty well .

Bee Rexit
20th Feb 2018, 15:50
To be honest - I never look at an airport website then decide where I am travelling to. Ok I try to fly from Southend now if I am going on a summer holiday because it is convenient (I practically live at the end of 05) so choose routes from there if possible. Facebook and media wise Southend are very good at getting info out. I think people here worry too much.

LGS6753
21st Feb 2018, 20:16
From Blue Swan:

Air Malta chairman Dr Charles Mangion stated (19-Feb-2018) the carrier plans to lease its 10th aircraft to support operations in summer 2018. Malta‘s Minister of Tourism Dr Konrad Mizzi said: “As a Government we are committed to the airline and are fully supporting its growth strategy since we believe that it is an important pillar for our tourism economy”. Air Malta operates an all A320 family fleet, according to the CAPA Fleet Database. It announced (19-Feb-2018) four new routes, operated from 04-May-2018:

Malta–London Southend: Three times weekly;
Malta-Cagliari: Twice weekly;
Catania-London Southend: Twice weekly;
Cagliari-London Southend: Twice weekly.
The carrier also plans to increase Malta-Catania frequency

DC3 Dave
22nd Feb 2018, 10:13
I am surprised Air Malta feel they can meet EasyJet head on in competition for this route. EasyJet will win the price war - however I look forward to being proved wrong! My concern from the very beginning was that EasyJet being resident at the airport would stifle competition and the arrival of new carriers.

Been shown price yesterday (21/2): Air Malta. Out Sat 25th August, return Sat 1st September. 5 (FIVE) adults, 1 child, 1 infant. £444.00 (Seriously check it out!)

£1,402.36 is the price on easyjet (Sunday - Sunday). And that's cheap!

compton3bravo
22nd Feb 2018, 11:20
Introductory fares dear boy, very good value but they are not going to make much if any money with those prices. I would suggest easy fares were very similar when the summer timetable was first announced.

DC3 Dave
22nd Feb 2018, 12:18
Apparently the easyjet MLA - SEN leg has dropped £100 pp since yesterday, though I can't confirm that.

cave dweller
22nd Feb 2018, 14:02
Stobart cash buyout of Flybe

SWBKCB
22nd Feb 2018, 14:08
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-stobart-flybe-deal/stobart-in-talks-about-potential-deal-with-airline-flybe-source-idUSKCN1G61W1

LONDON (Reuters) - British haulier Stobart (STOB.L) is in talks with UK regional airline Flybe (FLYB.L) about a potential deal between the two companies, according to a source familiar with the matter. The firms are examining a range of options and a decision about a transaction is yet to be reached, the source said.

PDXCWL45
22nd Feb 2018, 14:08
cave dweller

Do you have a source for that? Or are you just speculating?

Barling Magna
22nd Feb 2018, 14:14
The source is supplied in his message. Reuters.com. They may be speculating of course, but it seems unlikely. The takeover of flyBE by Stobart has been rumoured for some time.

southside bobby
22nd Feb 2018, 14:20
Gonna cost them a whole lot more than if they had just acted as BEE share price soaring!

PDXCWL45
22nd Feb 2018, 14:21
Seen the source now.

Planespeaking
22nd Feb 2018, 14:21
The source is supplied in his message. Reuters.com. They may be speculating of course, but it seems unlikely. The takeover of flyBE by Stobart has been rumoured for some time.

Bye bye Exeter, Hello SEN ?

Barling Magna
22nd Feb 2018, 14:29
If it goes through I expect that will be the eventual outcome, but no sense in completely losing a perfectly viable base down in Devon. A SEN-EXT service will no doubt not be long behind. Maybe this is why Stobart are so certain of reaching two million pax at SEN this year.....?

Planespeaking
22nd Feb 2018, 14:36
Oh yes then the pieces begin to fit together.

Expressflight
22nd Feb 2018, 14:42
The Stobart mood music recently has certainly suggested that the acquisition of a European carrier might be on the cards and Flybe would be an obvious candidate to at least look at.

DC3 Dave

The easyJet SEN-MLA price certainly hasn't changed in the past four days for the first week in August and although I didn't note down the MLA-SEN prices they look basically unchanged to me.

Planespeaking
22nd Feb 2018, 14:57
Oh yes then the pieces begin to fit together.

Exeter seems to be a profitable base operationally, but if I was employed in Flybe's HQ and admin/ops in Exeter then it may pay me to check out house prices in the SEN area. Or possibly Dublin!!

pabely
22nd Feb 2018, 16:32
Buy Flybe and move all LCY flight to SEN.........?
I know one LCY based carrier who would love to see them go!

A320.b744
22nd Feb 2018, 18:01
This won't happen. By operating into LCY, Flybe allows business passengers to arrive in the centre of London in time for 09:00 meetings, and depart after work finishes in the evening. SEN doesn't allow for this given its distance from the city centre, and Flybe would lose thousands of valuable business travellers who are willing to pay inflated prices.

22nd Feb 2018, 18:40
It would allow them to explore the opportunities for services from SEN that could otherwise be seen to compete with LCY services, to find out for themselves how different the markets are (eg places like Belfast and Edinburgh).

I'd suggest though that what would happen first and foremost would be a very steep decline in the chances of London airports other than LCY and SEN seeing flyBe services!

AirportPlanner1
22nd Feb 2018, 22:09
As others have said and I said myself only a week or so ago, the LCY domestic network will not move over and I don’t think even Stobart would attempt it.

There are one or two other more immediate opportunities though. The LCY-DUS route is in competition with BA and doesn’t necessarily need to be at LCY. Since STN lost the route a couple of years back, there is no link to DUS from East Anglia. A lot of demand on that route was heading outside London.

Another one is NQY - the LGW route must carry 250k or more annually. If transfer pax don’t make a significant portion of that it could be a no-brainer to switch it. At the very least the STN route would come back.

LCY-RNS can be binned.

I actually think a takeover would be more about Stobart becoming a significant aviation player than about grabbing a few extra pax for SEN. Apart from prohibiting routes to EDI, if there’s anywhere Stobart wanted to go to from SEN there’s not much stopping them already.

Interesting times.

TartinTon
22nd Feb 2018, 22:54
The LGWNQY route is a PSO route specifically for LGW. It won't be switched. It could be added to but there won't be any switching. One thing that seems to be missed here is that there is no way that the Stobart management team is of the size or quality needed to cope with the addition of 70-odd a/c from Flybe. It may be that it's the DUB based staff who should be looking for property in the EXT area and not the other way round as the maintenance business is going nowhere and all the airline operations are based in the maintenance hangars at EXT.

SARF
22nd Feb 2018, 23:30
Why would you lose LCY slots. Moving the base may be more of an option to utilise the SEN real estate

asdf1234
23rd Feb 2018, 05:33
The Board of Stobart Group notes the movement in the share price of Flybe and press speculation as to a potential takeover of Flybe Group Plc by Stobart Group.

Stobart Group and Flybe have a range of shared interests arising from Stobart Group's ownership of London Southend Airport and its aircraft leasing company and the growing franchise arrangements between the two groups' airlines.

As previously disclosed in October 2017, we have been reviewing alternative structures for our airline and leasing business that can play an important part in the consolidation of the regional airline sector.

A number of potential structures have been considered including taking a non-controlling interest in a vehicle to acquire 100% of Flybe likely to be in cash. It is not possible to say, at this stage, whether a transaction will take place, whether a firm proposal will be made or, if it is, the form a transaction to combine the airlines might take.

A further announcement will be made in due course.

In accordance with Rule 2.6(a) of the Code, Stobart Group is required, by not later than 5.00 p.m. on 22nd March 2018, to either announce a firm intention to make an offer for Flybe in accordance with Rule 2.7 of the Code or announce that it does not intend to make an offer, in which case the announcement will be treated as a statement to which Rule 2.8 of the Code applies. This deadline can be extended with the consent of the Panel in accordance with Rule 2.6(c) of the Code.

DC3 Dave
23rd Feb 2018, 06:25
I actually think a takeover would be more about Stobart becoming a significant aviation player than about grabbing a few extra pax for SEN.

Absolutely right. Though I think we can say than SEN would not be disadvantaged by this move if it happens.

Harry Wayfarers
23rd Feb 2018, 06:57
Is all this relevant to Southend Airport or shouldn't it belong in the Stobart Air or Flybe thread(s)?

brian_dromey
23rd Feb 2018, 07:01
flyBe isn’t particularly profitable and has a huge Brexit risk profile, in the UK market. Stobart isn’t much better, it’s main market being U.K.-IRL services for Aer Lingus and AerArann nearly went broke flying these routes without the EI brand. I’m not convinced a Stobart takeover of flyBe is all that sensible, but Stobart are very keen to merge RE with someone. Presumably to float at some point.

On a positive note, it would potentially be easier for the Stobart group to re-capatilise flyBe than for an independent flyBe. Which might be useful if Stobart fancy some more jets for SEN and to replace/refinance the E-Jet fleet, which are apparently on poor terms.

All of that said, if this is just to grow SEN, what’s to stop Stobart leasing more 195s or used A319s and paining them purple? There must be more to it than SEN alone?

DC3 Dave
23rd Feb 2018, 07:09
Is all this relevant to Southend Airport or shouldn't it belong in the Stobart Air or Flybe thread(s)?

That's a really hard question to answer. O what a tangled web Stobart weave.

Wherever people feel happy to post I guess.

tophat27dt
23rd Feb 2018, 07:15
It probably should be in all three although it is a bit annoying to open up three forums to read repetitive discussions. It certainly is of interest to the SEN locals because they are hoping it will lead to extra flights and passengers. We will know more, hopefully, after March 22nd.

SWBKCB
23rd Feb 2018, 07:30
Though I think we can say than SEN would not be disadvantaged by this move if it happens.

SEN development might go on the back-burner as Stobart work out what to do with their new toy? There's only so much any organisation can take on.

stewyb
23rd Feb 2018, 08:05
If the takeover materialises and Stobart get their new toy, SEN will be the last thing on their minds with regards to expanding the route network from the airport. They will be taking on a disfunctioning airline that is in need of some resuscitation and direction before they even consider SEN. Priority will be continuing to reduce capacity and loss making routes along with fleet control ie the Q400 replacement program and what to do with the E95's and their possible replacement (of which I don't think is necessary at present although they might see this as an opportunity to purchase further E95's coming off lease and utilise for their sun routes). SEN has only this year started the Flybe franchise with 15 routes and this will be more than sufficient in the short/mid term to gauge its success before any additional routes are taken on board. Talk on here about transferring the LCY operation to SEN i think is ridiculous as this is a niche market that Flybe have already got their claws in to and surely Stobart will want to not only keep this but try to maximise on!

Andy_S
23rd Feb 2018, 08:16
flyBe isn’t particularly profitable....... I’m not convinced a Stobart takeover of flyBe is all that sensible.........

I think there’s a big element of ‘be careful what you wish for’ here. FlyBe would be a large, expensive and rather difficult meal for Stobart to digest, and I can’t really see how it would add value to the group at all, let alone benefit SEN.

One aspect of the purported takeover which doesn’t really seem to have been noticed or commented on is that Stobart Group are not seeking a controlling interest in FlyBe. Ergo, they won’t be able to do just what they like with it.

cornishsimon
23rd Feb 2018, 09:18
NQY-LGW carries large numbers of EK, BA and VS codeshare connecting passengers. I can’t see this service moving LGW-SEN.

However the BE STN-NQY would be very easy to move to SEN and to reinstate to daily

Expressflight
23rd Feb 2018, 10:12
I certainly don't think that SEN would be put on the back burner should this take-over come about. Stobart will be very keen to keep growing pax numbers there in order to substantiate some of the optimistic claims that they have made in that regard. The last thing they would want is shareholders getting windy because of a perception that the current flagship operation is suffering as a result of the turnover.

I don't think they would reduce activity at LCY to any great extent but they might well start routes from SEN to EDI and BHD (currently blocked by Flybe) and likely transfer the STN-NQY to SEN, although probably not until 2019.

SWBKCB
23rd Feb 2018, 10:29
Expressflight - you probably know better than the rest of us the corporate capabilities of Stobart, but there can be a difference between what you want to do and what you can do.

Expressflight
23rd Feb 2018, 10:46
I agree that there can be a difference as you say but in this instance I feel that simply continuing on the growth path, using the team already in place, should not be impossible.

tophat27dt
23rd Feb 2018, 11:43
I think the team in place at SEN is the best we have had since 2008. I am sure Stobarts are looking to increase business at their airport, and if all this goes ahead, they will pick out the profitable gems and leave them where they are, dump the loss makers with no future, and more difficult/interesting decide what could be made more profitable by transferring from LCY/STN to SEN next year. What we think in this forum won't make any difference to their decisions, so let's wait and see with great interest.

EssexMan61
23rd Feb 2018, 14:03
Does anyone know where the "NIKI" branded aircraft parked up at one of the outside stands arrived from? I presume it is just a charter?

Barling Magna
23rd Feb 2018, 14:40
NIKI's OE-IZE is at SEN in order to be repainted into easyJet colours. Her sistership OE-IZT has already emerged in EZY scheme.

tws123
23rd Feb 2018, 18:05
A planned charter flight to Newcastle on the 9th September 2018 for the Great North Run has been announced. The operator and flight numbers are to be confirmed (presumably if enough people actually book it).

Departure: SEN 06:10
Arrival: NCL 07:35

Departure: NCL 20:10
Arrival: SEN 21:35

More information here: https://www.nirvanaeurope.com/en/booking/?eventSeries=1&event=122&token=rJA_TiYvz&bookingType=package&selected=159#

Planespeaking
23rd Feb 2018, 18:17
That seems quite a long sector time, presumably an ATR or Q 400, or Herald, F27 or !

Buster the Bear
23rd Feb 2018, 20:24
Stobart DC-3!

AirportPlanner1
23rd Feb 2018, 21:49
Block time SEN-MAN is 1:10 so the schedule doesn’t look unreasonable. I’m guessing this will be on JOTA, hence SEN being the chosen airport.

£249 looks very steep but Essex is a hotbed of runners and a lot of them have money so this could be a winner.

daz211
25th Feb 2018, 20:02
I notice Titan A320 operating SEN-DUB-SEN this evening

mikkie4
25th Feb 2018, 20:17
E195 CREAM CRACKERD AGAIN

Buster the Bear
25th Feb 2018, 20:47
That'll cost Stobart a few quid!

fjencl
25th Feb 2018, 21:05
So if the arrival from Dublin is due at 2340hrs, 2 hours late, how do the poor passengers then get into central London when the trains have stopped, its not the fault of the passengers that they are arriving after all the public transport (except taxi's) have stopped........just wondering what happens.

LTNman
25th Feb 2018, 22:24
There was a review some time ago from a group of young female backpackers who were upset at being told to leave the terminal as it was closing. They were told to try and wait it out in the reception area of a local hotel but the hotel sent them packing.

I think they spent the night waiting on the station platform until the first train arrived to take them to London. I will see if I can find the post in the morning.

daz211
25th Feb 2018, 22:52
Looks like Titan operating DUB-SEN has gone to LGW

Harry Wayfarers
26th Feb 2018, 02:57
LTNman

I recall those postings and in fairness to SEN they were budget travellers who flatly refused to pay for accommodation, being a seaside town Southend is packed with moderately priced guest houses and similar but if people refuse to dip their hands in their pockets what is one supposed to do.

These days I'm a hotelier selling budget priced rooms on a 'room only' basis, all the time I get "Does it include a free breakfast?", "Can we use your restaurant kitchen to cook our own food?", "Can we borrow cups, plates, knives and forks etc?" ... I've had enough of them by now and those women, quite wrongly, presumed that SEN would provide them with free overnight accommodation and I for one had no sympathy with them.

compton3bravo
26th Feb 2018, 06:35
Presumably the Titan 320 was required for a flight out of Gatters this morning saving on a positioning flight. Not too good for pax returning to Southend though, hope a coach was laid on or maybe taxis! Expensive whatever.

SEN Observer
26th Feb 2018, 08:50
Echo's picked up on the "buy Flybe" story.

Southend airport owner shows interest in airline buy | Echo (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16047061.Southend_airport_owner_shows_interest_in_airline_bu y/)

Planespeaking
26th Feb 2018, 09:36
Good old Echo, always on top of the news. Mafeking will be relieved!

Harry Wayfarers
26th Feb 2018, 10:23
Are Stobart the owner or the leaseholder of SEN? :)

Expressflight
26th Feb 2018, 11:32
They are the leaseholder with around 150(?) years remaining. I believe that Southend Borough Council are the freeholder.

Harry Wayfarers
26th Feb 2018, 11:52
Expressflight ... I wasn't having a pop at SEN or Stobart but at the press ... If they can't even gtet the basics right what hope is there!

Expressflight
26th Feb 2018, 13:17
H W

I didn't realise your question was connected to the Echo story. I thought it was just a reasonable request for clarification of the ownership status of SEN. The Echo reportage was inaccurate? Surely not!

asdf1234
26th Feb 2018, 14:23
126 years remaining. Rent payable is £175k per annum rising with RPI starting 2015.

tophat27dt
26th Feb 2018, 14:34
I understood you. I am afraid the local rag is run by delinquents and college rejects who cannot link three words together to make any sense...but the chief editor signs every thing off to keep the local residents happy (or not)

southside bobby
27th Feb 2018, 07:46
SEN reduce free drop off time from 15 minutes to 5 minutes..

Planespeaking
27th Feb 2018, 07:59
A bit of a rush, but it may be to keep traffic moving with the rapid increase of pax numbers.

SWBKCB
27th Feb 2018, 08:07
Be interesting to see how the various "favourite airport" survey results stand up to the increased numbers.

Expressflight
27th Feb 2018, 08:23
A very big mistake in my view. OK, reduce it to 10 minutes free if (and that's a big 'if') it's to reduce congestion but not 5 minutes. A cynical commercial opportunity seems the more likely reason.

DC3 Dave
27th Feb 2018, 09:39
Remember that the drop off is in the short term car park. 5 minutes simply won't work in my opinion. I would not be surprised to see a new priority drop off area being introduced soon - chargeable, of course.
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16049947.airport-cuts-free-drop-time-to-just-5-minutes/?ref=mr&lp=9

tophat27dt
27th Feb 2018, 10:31
Time it. Arrive barrier...find parking space...assist three people out of the car and their luggage from the boot...hugs and wave goodbye...get back into car....race to exit barrier before 5 mins...or stop and pay in queue..not sure what system you have....it's impossible for most people, and the taxis who have already written negative views....sack that lady now.

runwayman
27th Feb 2018, 11:38
New Taxiway 'Z' Became live yesterday

SEN Observer
27th Feb 2018, 12:11
I see it has been reported today that Ryanair is dropping 20 routes from Glasgow, including Stansted. I wonder how much, if at all, SEN will benefit from this?

DC3 Dave
27th Feb 2018, 12:43
I make no criticism of SEN in their response to the "Beast from the East" (the weather not Harry) but please Mr or Ms Spokesperson, don't describe delays of up to 5 hours so far as "minor". Try saying something like conditions are extremely challenging but our staff are committed to doing everything possible.........blah blah.. etc.
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/16051490.Delays_at_Southend_Airport_due_to_snow/

LTNman
27th Feb 2018, 16:11
WHAT: Clearly Southend Council got a shocking deal for the rate payers. |In 2015 Abertis sold a controlling stake in Luton for £502 million to Aena. This for a lease that ends in 2031. On top of that the airport operator pays a fee of around £2.63 per passenger to the council. Southend council is earning the equivalent of 14p per passenger which will reduce as more passengers pass through the airport.

SWBKCB
27th Feb 2018, 16:22
Apples and pears - what was the status of both airports at the time of the deals??

cumbrianboy
27th Feb 2018, 16:31
@LTNman, depends how you look at it. If the airport was costing the countil £x m a year in losses, plus in need of significant investment, then they went from a huge deficit to making a profit of £175k a year without having to do anything.

asdf1234
27th Feb 2018, 19:03
Didn't cost the council anything as Regional Airports owned it and sold it for £20m to Stobart. 'Tis indeed a terrible deal for the council but when did a local authority ever seal a good deal with a private operator (I'll give you a clue - never).

Harry Wayfarers
28th Feb 2018, 04:34
But Stobart's didn't buy the airport, they don't own it!

LTNman
28th Feb 2018, 05:28
They can buy the lease which is what I think Stobart’s did. It has been argued that the Ltn deal was too good for the council as it could have impacted investment.

With the Southend deal the council is getting a minimal sum per passenger which decreases as the passenger figure goes up so the council do not get to share the airports success despite ultimately still owning it. No doubt it might have been seen as a good deal at the time but not any more.

Harry Wayfarers
28th Feb 2018, 05:34
But then how would the council have raised the funds to develop it from a pretty much run down semi-Stolport in to what it is today?

asdf1234
28th Feb 2018, 06:44
The council didn't develop it. Stobart did.

Andy_S
28th Feb 2018, 07:24
I think that was Harry's point.

LTNman
28th Feb 2018, 14:44
A lease is agreed which includes a clause about guaranteed investment. This is basically what happened at Luton way back in 1994 in the days before Easyjet when Luton still had low passenger figures.

These are the two news reports on how maybe Southend Council should have acted. Seems to me that Southend Council got shafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOm4L8dSM5k

tophat27dt
28th Feb 2018, 18:55
Vienna 647
Lyon 699
Paris-CDG 3370
Rennes 3362
Cologne 1054
Dublin 4768
Malta 2110
Amsterdam 14150
Groningen 1850
Faro 2690
Alicante 4380
Barcelona 2015
Malaga 3201
Arrecife 2922
Teneriffe 3011
Geneva 7100
Prague 2357
Budapest 690
Glasgow 1877
Manchester 2828
Paris-Orly 44 (divert)
Dusseldorf 93 (divert)
Milan 43 (divert)

tophat27dt
28th Feb 2018, 18:57
I believe I have asked this question before, but are the passengers figures above, arrivals and departures?
I noticed sometimes when a flight is diverted in with, say, 62 pax from Luxembourg, then waits on the ground for 2 hours whilst pax are bused from LCY, and departs with 50 pax, only the 62 is shown in the figures. Just wondering.

davidjohnson6
28th Feb 2018, 19:02
Normally CAA stats show arrival+departures. No idea how diverts are counted

Planespeaking
28th Feb 2018, 19:25
A lease is agreed which includes a clause about guaranteed investment. This is basically what happened at Luton way back in 1994 in the days before Easyjet when Luton still had low passenger figures.

These are the two news reports on how maybe Southend Council should have acted. Seems to me that Southend Council got shafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOm4L8dSM5k

In that case it shows more about the ineptitude of Southend local government and the shrewdness of private enterprise. It also gave London a modern efficient and award winning airport.

As the airport develops no doubt the local authority will reap revenue as local authorities always do.

OltonPete
28th Feb 2018, 21:00
My attempt using tophat27dt figures from the CAA and FR24 for the number of rotations

Vienna 647............40 pax....36% Load Factor
Lyon 699...............58 pax....37%
Paris-CDG 3370....130 pax....83% A319
Rennes 3362..........54 pax...75%
Cologne 1054.........38 pax...32%
Dublin 4768...........38 pax...33%
Malta 2110..........132 pax...73% A320
Amsterdam 14150.124 pax..80% A319's
Groningen 1850......36 pax..50%
Faro 2690.............135 pax..86% A319's
Alicante 4380........146 pax..87% a mix of A319/320's
Barcelona 2015.....112 pax...72%
Malaga 3201.........133 pax..85% A319
Arrecife 2922........162 pax..90% A320
Tenerife 3011.......167 pax..93% A320
Geneva 7100.........142 pax..91% A319
Prague 2357...........49 pax...42%
Budapest 690.........58 pax...58%
Glasgow 1877........32 pax...27%
Manchester 2828...22 pax....31%

Any additions or corrections welcome and I suppose the only thing to say is that is was January and perhaps Stobart should have been a bit harsher with reducing some frequencies.

Pete

28th Feb 2018, 21:26
You couldn't compare Southend and Luton then. At the time the future of Southend was by no means guaranteed, the investment was a massive risk, and that it took London City (in a better location by anyone's count) so long to find it's feet was a worrying warning.

And in fact while the future does not seem more secure now, you still can't compare Southend and Luton. A guarantee of success for Southend is by no means there. That Stobart have had to step in and run flights themselves is not the most sterling indication of the world's brightest future. That it isn't fully comfortable with receiving the most common aircraft and sending them to the most popular destinations is unfortunate (I like Southend in it's own way, but it's not a way that makes up for runway length in exactly completely the same was as Canary Wharf and the City of London do for London City).

Southend has of course been helped along by the ongoing failure to build the third runway at Heathrow, and while it seems that it may continue for ever, Southend may have problems if that changes.

Harry Wayfarers
1st Mar 2018, 01:33
Back in the days when I was young LTN, well airliner wise it was a holiday IT airport, Britannia, Monarch, I recall Laker 1-11's doing some ski flights and military charters, LTN had some freighters and not much besides, look at it today!

STN, in the mid 80's pretty much all STN had were some three based Air UK sheds and one Dan-Air jet for summer IT seasons, it had freighters and kind of ressembled what the other side of SEN looked like last time I was there ... A knackers yard :) When they totally redeveloped STN, new terminal, underground railway line etc. etc. etc. people were laughing it and referring to it as a white elephant and if it wasn't for the introduction of LCC's it might still be a white elephant perhaps!

So, yes, Stobart have taken a big financial risk with SEN, a risk that nobody else was prepared to take on, and good luck to them.

DC3 Dave
1st Mar 2018, 07:48
If you looked at aerial shots of the airport for every year of the last ten you would see just what has been achieved. Is it a white elephant? No. Is it an unqualified success? No. But if Stobart want to keep investing then it's a big thumbs up from me.

AirportPlanner1
1st Mar 2018, 08:19
STN, in the mid 80's pretty much all STN had were some three based Air UK sheds and one Dan-Air jet for summer IT seasons

That’s not true, no it wasn’t a bustling hub but they also had a based Britannia 737 year round, Air France a couple of times daily, Aer Lingus at least daily, various overseas-based IT operators heading to Spain/Yugoslavia/Bulgaria/Romania etc, flights to Canada, lots of inbound charters from Scandinavia and a random assortment of short-lived scheduled operators and charters. So nowhere near as bleak as you portray.

Expressflight
1st Mar 2018, 08:28
OltonPete

I agree with your EZY numbers and some of your figures for BEE but my calculation for the latter shows:

BUD 42%
CGN 32%
DUB 31%
GLA 27%
GRQ 51%
LYS 54% BEE (36% EZY)
MAN 30%
PRG 42%
RNS 59%
VIE 35%

I think that is because the number of BEE flights actually operated according to my records is at odds with your numbers. The LYS numbers need to be split between EZY and BEE flights so I think that is the reason for the large difference between us on that route. Like you I stand to be corrected for any errors.

I think it was actually a good idea to maintain the higher frequencies, at the expense of load factors, in order to build customer confidence in these new routes.

DC3 Dave
1st Mar 2018, 08:52
That’s not true, no it wasn’t a bustling hub but they also had a based Britannia 737 year round, Air France a couple of times daily, Aer Lingus at least daily, various overseas-based IT operators heading to Spain/Yugoslavia/Bulgaria/Romania etc, flights to Canada, lots of inbound charters from Scandinavia and a random assortment of short-lived scheduled operators and charters. So nowhere near as bleak as you portray.

For quite a while after the new terminal opened at STN you could pull up outside, help those flying into the terminal with their cases, find the desk, grab a paper from WH Smith and go back to the car and drive away. It was seriously that quiet. In relation to SEN, it just goes to show that amazing things can happen, but there has to be demand for what you have on offer, and we know Southend can only attract a minority of those operating in and out of London's airports, no matter how hard it tries.

Question is: Is there enough business available out there to get a realistic slice of that minority?

AirportPlanner1
1st Mar 2018, 09:00
For quite a while after the new terminal opened at STN you could pull up outside, help those flying into the terminal with their cases, find the desk, grab a paper from WH Smith and go back to the car and drive away. It was seriously that quiet. In relation to SEN, it just goes to show that amazing things can happen, but there has to be demand for what you have on offer, and we know Southend can only attract a minority of those operating in and out of London's airports, no matter how hard it tries.

I remember those days well. Flights and passenger numbers were actually substantially up compared to the mid-80s due to Ryanair coming over along with a few new scheduled routes by the likes of Luxair and Air Exel. But the size of the place made it incredibly quiet even when at its busiest.

On Saturday afternoons in the winter, there only used to be a couple of departures after about 1pm and one of those was a 30-seater.

rog747
1st Mar 2018, 10:58

STN in the 70's and 80's was pretty much a quiet backwater then just a few sheds and hangar's - a dumping ground for old jets and for maintenance plus a few charters

Channel AW had gone bust by 1972 as had Lloyd International

yes the Vikings from scandinavia stil invaded enmasse on a sunday evening plus some ABC affinity and military charters to the USA and Canada ran in the summers which included ONA World BMA Saturn universal CPair and Wardair BUT the place was very very quiet much of the days
infact it was a treat to see a movement

don't think BY based a 737 there until much later on
cargo started to increase with many 707 and DC8's

it was not until maybe the very late 80's that things slowly began to pick up with Air UK and KLM etc and the new terminal and infrastructure in 1991

the rest is history with Easyjet gaining access by buying GO and massive expansion plus Ryanair buying Buzz and then some

DC3 Dave
1st Mar 2018, 11:27
So I guess the point in relation to SEN is that if you back yourself and your vision then success may follow.

SWBKCB
1st Mar 2018, 12:19
or you may get lucky and be in the right place at the right time, whether you planned to be there or not. i.e. I don't think STN was developed with the LCC boom in mind.

Plenty of places in Spain to demonstrate the other side of "build it and they will come"!

asdf1234
1st Mar 2018, 12:52
Another 16 cancellations so far today. Not a great day for travellers either going to or from SEN!

Planespeaking
1st Mar 2018, 13:06
Another 16 cancellations so far today. Not a great day for travellers either going to or from SEN!

True but perhaps some of the SEN destination airports were closed.

tophat27dt
1st Mar 2018, 13:17
True but perhaps some of the SEN destination airports were closed.

The Budapest-SEN passengers are on finals to Birmingham. Are there no airfields open in the London area?

tophat27dt
1st Mar 2018, 13:17
I see two LCY inbounds diverted to Brussels...my goodness.

Expressflight
1st Mar 2018, 15:13

Not much fun from most UK airports today wouldn't you say?

There have been some 140 cancellations at LCY so far today but hardly the fault of that airport.

SWBKCB
1st Mar 2018, 15:47
Not much fun from most UK airports today wouldn't you say?

Glasgow closed all day, Edinburgh closing overnight from 18.00...

rog747
1st Mar 2018, 15:48
or you may get lucky and be in the right place at the right time, whether you planned to be there or not. i.e. I don't think STN was developed with the LCC boom in mind.

indeed
when the idea to develop STN as London's 3rd airport in the mid 80's there really was no such thing as a LCC model in the UK or even Europe really as what we know of today
Laker had gone in 1982 and SouthWest in the USA was drifting along but us lot in the UK were not really following their model (yet)
Peoples and Highland Express both failed

basically LHR was known then as scheduled and LGW was charter to the flock and masses but of course we know that BCAL was an decent alternative sadly also to see demise in 1988
along with AE in 1991 and DA in 1992 both of who had tried the scheduled full product market at LGW and could not keep it going

Buster the Bear
1st Mar 2018, 19:20
The onset of the internet revolutionised air travel in the UK from around 1997.

Ursamajor78
1st Mar 2018, 20:28
Regarding the cancellations from SEN today I was informed by a colleague, yesterday, that flights would be very unlikely today as they had run out of de-icer at SEN.

AirportPlanner1
1st Mar 2018, 21:56

Mostly down to destination airports, though the cancellation of Malta and Alicante was perhaps premature. Geneva was closed this morning, Amsterdam has had problems, Dublin and Glasgow were shut. SEN actually received a diversion from LCY today, and the Prague/Vienna flights did go out in the end.

OltonPete
1st Mar 2018, 22:08
OltonPete

I agree with your EZY numbers and some of your figures for BEE but my calculation for the latter shows:

BUD 42%
CGN 32%
DUB 31%
GLA 27%
GRQ 51%
LYS 54% BEE (36% EZY)
MAN 30%
PRG 42%
RNS 59%
VIE 35%

I think that is because the number of BEE flights actually operated according to my records is at odds with your numbers. The LYS numbers need to be split between EZY and BEE flights so I think that is the reason for the large difference between us on that route. Like you I stand to be corrected for any errors.

I think it was actually a good idea to maintain the higher frequencies, at the expense of load factors, in order to build customer confidence in these new routes.

Cheers Expressflight - using FR24 rather than wait for the CAA punctuality stats can prove awkward

Pete

AirportPlanner1
2nd Mar 2018, 07:00
OltonPete
DUB 31%
GLA 27%
MAN 30%

This is more or less the first time these routes can be assessed without the impact of freebies, as I believe the 1000 free flights to each destination had to be taken by the first week of Jan.

DC3 Dave
2nd Mar 2018, 07:36
It's interesting to note that if you want to make a return trip to GRQ or RNS in the next week you'll have to pay between £200 - £300. This has become pretty standard I believe. MAN - less than £100.

Of course, the first two are well established and key, I guess, is using experience to get the frequency right.

cumbrianboy
2nd Mar 2018, 10:15
Manchester is steadily improving and recently has had some very encouraging loads of 60+

January is always difficult and it's a new route.

Forward bookings are, apparently, improving.

I've always thought MAN could be a good route and I think it will mature in time

tophat27dt
2nd Mar 2018, 10:28
The EZY Alicante flight departed one hour late but later on landed at STN apparently. I dont know why. I see the Arrecife flight is also cancelled. Is there a problem operating A320s from SEN's partly contaminated runway, I wonder? Thankfully the milder weather is due to arrive on Sunday.

lfc84
2nd Mar 2018, 10:37
https://www.easyjet.com/en/flight-tracker/7452

tophat27dt
2nd Mar 2018, 10:46
https://www.easyjet.com/en/flight-tracker/7452

Not sure what you are trying to show me but the flight is cancelled for today. See LSA airport website.
The info on the easyjet website is up to 4 hours old.

Expressflight
2nd Mar 2018, 10:46
The EZY Alicante flight departed one hour late but later on landed at STN apparently. I dont know why. I see the Arrecife flight is also cancelled. Is there a problem operating A320s from SEN's partly contaminated runway, I wonder? Thankfully the milder weather is due to arrive on Sunday.

No nothing to do with runway performance. The landing at STN was for an aircraft-specific problem rectification and it was on the ground there for about an hour. The same aircraft was due to operate the ACE flight and I assume it's cancelled due to the long delay to the ALC departure.

lfc84
2nd Mar 2018, 10:52
Not sure what you are trying to show me but the flight is cancelled for today. See LSA airport website.
The info on the easyjet website is up to 4 hours old.

you were speculating why the flight was cancelled. as of yet, the easyjet tracker doesn't say its cancelled.

however, if / when it is updated to state it is cancelled easyjet ops will often state the reason on the tracker website.

if they don't state the reason on the tracker website just send them a twitter message asking for the reason

asdf1234
2nd Mar 2018, 11:39
you were speculating why the flight was cancelled. as of yet, the easyjet tracker doesn't say its cancelled.

however, if / when it is updated to state it is cancelled easyjet ops will often state the reason on the tracker website.

if they don't state the reason on the tracker website just send them a twitter message asking for the reason

Website states technical inspection required. It does seem strange that an aircraft just departed from SEN diverts to STN rather than return to its base engineering team.

Expressflight
2nd Mar 2018, 11:41
The flight was planned to land at STN before it departed SEN so it wasn't actually a diversion. I never take what it says on the EZY Flight Status page too literally as far as detail is concerned.

Expressflight
2nd Mar 2018, 15:09
Manchester is steadily improving and recently has had some very encouraging loads of 60+

January is always difficult and it's a new route.

Forward bookings are, apparently, improving.

I've always thought MAN could be a good route and I think it will mature in time

I must admit that I thought the MAN route was a mistake but it is doing better than I expected and anecdotally February numbers will show a further improvement. Let's hope that continues in future months.

Spearman
2nd Mar 2018, 18:31
Website states technical inspection required. It does seem strange that an aircraft just departed from SEN diverts to STN rather than return to its base engineering team.

One problem is that so many airport and airline websites state that aircraft have ‘departed’ when all that means is they have left the stand. EZY OTP (on time performance) is based on when they push back from
Stand.
Always thought this was misleading as someone, not unreasonably, thinks the flight they are waiting for will be landing at the destination in xx minutes but it could well be still on ground at departure airport waiting for a slot time. Today the A320 did push back and then returned to stand but as Expessflight stated, even at that stage it was planned to go to Stansted.

Harry Wayfarers
2nd Mar 2018, 20:49
That is correct, departure and arrival times are off/on-blocks and not airborne or landing.

At one operator I worked for the cabin crew got in to the habit of asking for the slot time which might have been 15 minutes after scheduled departure, the majority of them didn't understand the significance, they would think that the flight had a 15 minute delay so would drag their heels only to realise their mistake at the last minute.

A local airline where I am now, no sooner have the wheels touched the runway surface than the cabin crew are announcing that we have arrived X number of minutes ahead of schedule ... We're still in the middle of an airfield, we haven't arrived yet!

SARF
2nd Mar 2018, 22:06
I think people underestimate the amount of business people, and the amount of money in the south Essex area. They also don’t realise that most of that business is domestic. .. ie in the U.K. . And man could be as successful as Amsterdam. Well on a much smaller scale.

2nd Mar 2018, 22:26
Good for them! I'd love to know where the pax are travelling on to.

DC3 Dave
3rd Mar 2018, 08:02
I think people underestimate the amount of business people, and the amount of money in the south Essex area. They also don’t realise that most of that business is domestic. .. ie in the U.K. . And man could be as successful as Amsterdam. Well on a much smaller scale.

For years it has been predicted that modern communication technology would considerably reduce the need to travel to conduct business. Does anyone believe this is actually happening, or will have a significant impact on aviation in the future?

AirportPlanner1
3rd Mar 2018, 08:53
Good for them! I'd love to know where the pax are travelling on to.

From an SEN pax perspective heading north on the early flight I followed a big chunk of the pax to the railway station to get to Piccadilly. Most if not all seemed to be on business. Heading back early evening the same day it was a bit busier, I’d say about half went towards the car park and half to the station. On both flights the majority of pax seemed to be travelling alone.

My return flight had a few of the same pax as on board as the outbound.

tophat27dt
3rd Mar 2018, 10:05
Strange thing this morning. Two KLM E190s were listed on LCY arrivals board to divert to SEN. The first one landed SEN, whilst the second one having descended to 4000, then climbed to FL120 and diverted to Southampton. Later today, Skywork will operate their Berne flight into SEN at 1230, and Cityjet's Dublin service will also arrive/depart due to LCY hours.
(I see BA is training at LCY now with A318, but most pax flights are cancelled).

Expressflight
3rd Mar 2018, 13:54
Apparently KL Ops instructed the second aircraft to change its diversion destination from SEN to SOU on discovering that there would be no coaches available at SEN to ferry the pax to LCY.

Edit: I think the 'no coaches available' comment related to the fact that Greater Anglia were not operating replacement buses to London due to road conditions. The apparently never ending engineering works meant that there were no trains running from Southend to Liverpool Street yesterday.

Harry Wayfarers
3rd Mar 2018, 14:25
Apparently KL Ops instructed the second aircraft to change its diversion destination from SEN to SOU on discovering that there would be no coaches available at SEN to ferry the pax to LCY.

At 4,000' over SE England I doubt that it would have been in radio range of KL Ops AMS to communicate with!

Many a year ago, on a bad day, Aer Lingus at LHR had run out of coach suppliers, they swore blind to us that they couldn't get a coach, from my previous I just picked up the dog to 'Epsom Coaches' and they had as many coaches available as one would like.

If 'Epsom Coaches' are still in business and you need a coach in the London area then give them a call.

Double Hydco
3rd Mar 2018, 14:44
At 4,000' over SE England I doubt that it would have been in radio range of KL Ops AMS to communicate with!

We have ACARS to communicate with ops departments these days.

Barling Magna
5th Mar 2018, 12:58
Another article praising SEN as an alternative airport for London. This time from the Irish Independent re. the DUB to SEN service. Unfortunately the "best kept secret" part still rings true, but hopefully articles such as this will help to boost pax numbers:

https://tinyurl.com/ybfcud6w

stewyb
5th Mar 2018, 13:40
Another article praising SEN as an alternative airport for London. This time from the Irish Independent re. the DUB to SEN service. Unfortunately the "best kept secret" part still rings true, but hopefully articles such as this will help to boost pax numbers:

https://tinyurl.com/ybfcud6w

A fast rail link to London just like SOU, only they also have coaches on standby for LCY diverts!;)

Expressflight
5th Mar 2018, 15:06
stewyb

I think you must have missed the edit that I added to my post two days ago. As you probably know Crossrail work means there are no trains at weekends at present on the Liverpool Street line and GA normally run a bus replacement service. Owing to the weather conditions even that service had been withdrawn that morning so KLM didn't want their pax arriving somewhere with no public transport connection to London. It doesn't seem to have been the lack of chartered coaches to take the pax back to LCY. SOU, on the other hand, probably had a rail service of sort sort running to London that day.

On the same subject the lack of weekend trains must be a drag on the attractiveness of SEN due to these seemingly never ending engineering works. SEN seem to have got so fed up with it that they are now running their own weekend buses between SEN and Thorpe Bay station on the C2C line and advising their pax to use this service instead of the GA line.

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2018, 15:18
Talking of coaches, I wonder at what stage National Express or A N Other will consider relaunching a regular coach service to London. The early morning / late night service in 2016 didn't last long, but there must come a point when someone believes there's money to be made. I believe the existing coach service between Central Southend - SEN - Chelmsford - STN does well. Perhaps a SEN - LGW service calling at a few key locations along the way would work.

Just as an afterthought, the weekend and early evening shutdowns on the railway will never end unless something dramatic changes in how our railways are run. The train operating companies don't really give a damn, because if they had a choice they wouldn't even run services off peak.

mikkie4
5th Mar 2018, 19:30
Stobart air...Stobart rail ...why not Stobart coaches?

Expressflight
6th Mar 2018, 07:07
mikkie4

Stobart did actually apply for a coach licence to run such a service in 2016. Instead they contracted it out to Kings Ferry coaches which operated under the National Express brand for a couple of months.

I think the main reason why that coach service was so short lived was simply because very few people used it. Why? Because they didn't know it existed. It was difficult even to obtain details of the service at SEN itself: you had to ask at the Moneycorp kiosk and there was no signage. If they were to run a new service (which I very much doubt they will) it would need wide promotion to include emails from the airlines notifying affected passengers at the time of booking that such a service existed. If you don't put that information in front of your customers they're unlikely to find out about it and include it in their travel plans.It would need some joined-up thinking to be employed which doesn't always seem SEN's strong point.

AirportPlanner1
6th Mar 2018, 08:34
It’s also fair to say that coach service ran at a weak time of year, when on many evenings there were no late arrivals or early departures anyway.

tophat27dt
6th Mar 2018, 09:53
I have notice that Stobarts are very weak on their publicity side of things. Often their website isn't updated quickly, plus ground transportation, isn't advertised very much, espacially when the trains aren't running.

It would be interesting to know (via a survey) how many passengers arrive and depart LSA by train, car, taxi or bus. Often in the summer, there can be 5 flights inbound between 2300 and midnight, some of whom would be rushing through to catch the last train, or more interestingly, what do these people do when they miss the train.

asdf1234
6th Mar 2018, 14:06
Interesting to see that the market has reacted negatively to the rumoured Flybe purchase by Stobart with approximately £100m being wiped of the value of the company before a 1,000,000 share company buy-back halted the price drop.

inOban
6th Mar 2018, 16:18
Talking of coaches, I wonder at what stage National Express or A N Other will consider relaunching a regular coach service to London. The early morning / late night service in 2016 didn't last long, but there must come a point when someone believes there's money to be made. I believe the existing coach service between Central Southend - SEN - Chelmsford - STN does well. Perhaps a SEN - LGW service calling at a few key locations along the way would work.

Just as an afterthought, the weekend and early evening shutdowns on the railway will never end unless something dramatic changes in how our railways are run. The train operating companies don't really give a damn, because if they had a choice they wouldn't even run services off peak.
The weekend closures should end in April