PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Recruitment

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

mrdeux
4th Apr 2017, 06:02
I can list 3 A330 Captains and 1 737 Captain straight up who had less than a dozen landings post training as F/Os on the A380 after being RIN'd off the 767- less than 6 months.

A dozen FO landings in six months...pretty normal.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
4th Apr 2017, 10:25
Wondering on peoples thoughts and apologies in advanced if someone in the same position as myself has already posted. Currently in the application process at present for SO position where my assessment day and sim check are complete.

I was then emailed asking for medical and reference checks to be done and the medical is close to being completed and reference checks are done. The only thing left to do (I think) is I require some vaccination boosters to complete the medical and a psych check.

Being located remotely I have spent god knows how much money going back and forth..more so time spent away from work which I will have to do again (definitely not the bosses favourite at the moment). I hate asking dumb questions but would I be more on the last legs of the application process and are signs pointing to a yes making it this far? Anyone made it this far and gotten a no? Guess my thought process is to give the boss as much of an update as possible.

Suggest you turn on private messaging.

who_cares
5th Apr 2017, 06:05
Well I was an internal applicant. Progressed all the way to the executive review panel, I received the dreaded no email not long after the panel review. It will be interesting to get the feedback as to why I wasn't suitable for the position.
The ironic thing is though in my current position, QANTAS trust me to fly their passengers and to captain one of their jets, so go figure.

Flyboy1987
5th Apr 2017, 06:37
Well I was an internal applicant. Progressed all the way to the executive review panel, I received the dreaded no email not long after the panel review. It will be interesting to get the feedback as to why I wasn't suitable for the position.
The ironic thing is though in my current position, QANTAS trust me to fly their passengers and to captain one of their jets, so go figure.

Will you get feedback?

Does anyone actually know what Recruiters are after? Heard a lot of stories of people progressing through all stages, giving good references and then getting a no, and these people were genuinely good, hard working guys and girls?

Why progress someone onto the sim and then cull them perhaps due to an earlier stage of testing?

Is there a limit on the amount they put on hold?

BlackPrince77
5th Apr 2017, 07:31
I think HR are playing some sort of discriminating game behind the scenes and I have good reason as to why.

A lot of internal applicants didn't get in, which I know for a fact. This is puzzling as they are already doing the same job, just wearing different uniforms and in most cases working a lot harder than Qantas mainline pilots and on poorer conditions/EBA's.

The initial aptitude testing was unnecessarily difficult, and i believe the reason for that is if everyone does poorly, they (QF HR) can cherry-pick whoever the want and don't want just by saying 'Hey sorry you didn't pass the required standard' when in reality, no one would have passed some sort of a standard as it was so ridiculously hard!

The fact that a lot of airlines within the Qantas group are short on pilots, would suggest that it isn't in mainlines interest to be hiring across internally because it will cost them more with re-training the internal person and then hiring someone to fill that persons original spot and then initial training the near hiree, so 2 times training. While hiring externally just means one lot of training for the new person and the internal guys stay where they are. Win-win except for the internal employees (but who cares about the pilots eyy nothing new here).:hmm:

I think there are grounds for discrimination, especially as I know actually one guy who got the highest air force testing score in the state a while ago and has since been flying RPT internally for the Qantas group for multiple years (ended up not going through military route) and this person was knocked back before the interview stage for not passing the set standard on the TalentIQ with Qantas?? I mean seriously it's complete rubbish, an absolute joke and my example proves it. :ugh:

neville_nobody
5th Apr 2017, 09:18
Your mate is going to have to resign, get into another airline then see what happens with QF if he wants to test that theory.

Tankengine
5th Apr 2017, 09:29

I would be very suprised if you get any feedback.
The risk of lawsuits for discrimination is too great.
"You are not competitive at this time" seem to be the usual spiel, unchanged for over 30 years.

EY_Airbus
5th Apr 2017, 10:13

Well that sucks...sends a good message to anyone who takes a QF subsidiary, but ultimately has their eyes on the bigger prize.

Are there any external applicants still waiting for an update since completing the video etc?

who_cares
5th Apr 2017, 10:26
Hope you are well.

I am writing to provide you with an update on the Second Officer recruitment process you have been participating in. Unfortunately on this occasion we will not be progressing your application further. I appreciate this is very disappointing news, and we will be booking in a feedback discussion with you in the coming weeks to discuss further.

You will be eligible to reapply in 12 months’ time.

Thank you for taking the time to meet with us and your interest in Qantas Mainline.

That is the email I received, doesn't say it will be honest feedback I guess. One thing though I don't intend to be in the QANTAS group in 12 months time.

amateur
5th Apr 2017, 10:46
Will you get feedback?

Does anyone actually know what Recruiters are after? Heard a lot of stories of people progressing through all stages, giving good references and then getting a no, and these people were genuinely good, hard working guys and girls?

Why progress someone onto the sim and then cull them perhaps due to an earlier stage of testing?

Is there a limit on the amount they put on hold?

I don't think HR even know what they are looking for. Empathy and ego maturity seems to be the buzz words going around...

Keg
5th Apr 2017, 13:08
You left out 'customer focus' amateur. I've a few other thoughts on the capabilities being assessed but I've already provided feedback on those and I'll let the internal processes run their course on that feedback for the time being.

As far as I know the internals are getting feedback as to how they scored in whatever elements they were assessed in. If they did the interview I think they get feedback on that as well as their initial psychometric stuff. I'm not sure of how in depth it is.

That some are captains in their respective regional, flying in the same uniform as mainline captains, in aircraft with the same livery except for the addition of the word 'link' down the side (or sometimes nothing extra in the case of Jetconnect, whom I understand are now permitted to operate VH registered aircraft) and can be deemed ineligible for a S/O role is a point not lost on the pilots within the recruitment process. I suspect the point is lost on many others though.

Who cares, can I ask how you're sure you got to exec review? As far as I'm aware it's a de-identified process so those execs involved in the process don't know the names of who they're reviewing. My understanding was all they saw was scores and comments about the candidate. Feel free to PM if you like. Either way, I'm not sure if the group comprehends that like you, many of those the process has deemed unsuitable won't be around to reapply in 12 months. Good luck either way.

sandsthrudahrglass
5th Apr 2017, 21:09
Well that sucks...sends a good message to anyone who takes a QF subsidiary, but ultimately has their eyes on the bigger prize.

Are there any external applicants still waiting for an update since completing the video etc?

I've heard diddly since the merry Xmas email...

Tuck Mach
5th Apr 2017, 21:43
As much as I was criticised by many, the reality is that HR dominates the recruitment process. Those of us who have worked for airlines in the operational side know that there is a chasm been operational and corporate BS. What is being witnessed at QF is HR dominance of process. The process won't improve, it is captured.

There are other airlines! Qantas long ago ceased to be a premier carrier, its withdrawal from international routes and an exponential growth of the very opaque JQ model, is, despite their narrative, very poorly performing. The good news for those pilots who have witnessed the 'recruitment' process with mainline first hand, you are not alone. Qantas is merely a huge bureaucracy, with a small airline attached who destroyed itself fighting internal wars. A student of the corporation knows that no nothing management, usually abandons proven business models divesting away from core competency. Growing back office overhead is a sure sign a company has lost its way.

Demographics enforces the notion that pilots are a strategic asset, QF are yet to learn this, their HR/IR model is is control presently. Those airlines who are focused on the core, which has always been the flying operations, recognise that attracting a high calibre pilot is a vital cornerstone of their strategic plan. Fortunately demographics will help those cast aside by QF recruiting practice, that there are plenty of viable options.

Adversarial industrial relation models and high back office overhead, the likes of which QF focus on, will not serve them well attracting 'talent'. Quite often now the only advantage QF has left is Australian residence. Foreign airlines, as demographics really bite them will provide commutable options for Australian pilots.

Qantas focused its whole attention on JQ, losing a decade on a business model that relies on high volume to make anything. It's architecture was IR, to undermine arbitrated outcomes.

Whilst it may appear cold comfort now to those struggling with the dreaded email, Qantas is anything other than 'transformed' there are plenty of other options that do not mean sub standard conditions aggressive management and a stalled career path that many pilots at Qantas suffered. Cast a wider net it will provide lots of good options.

https://aircargoeye.com/why-airlines-can-no-longer-afford-to-insult-their-pilots/

Long after little Alan and Clifford, along with Oldmeadow are taken to the woodshed, perhaps QF will catch up and realise people collectively are a business. That is still a way off. Best wishes to all

astroboy55
6th Apr 2017, 08:57
(or sometimes nothing extra in the case of Jetconnect, whom I understand are now permitted to operate VH registered aircraft)

where did you hear this little gem. If true, a disgrace, and just the next step in Australia selling out its own people. A quick (?) call to CASA will be happening.

Ollie Onion
6th Apr 2017, 09:06
So, because someone was rumoured to have scored highly in an RAAF test does that automatically mean that they fit the profile that Qantas is looking for? That example is a bit of a stretch, other candidates obviously fit the profile better, it is Qantas' train set so I guess they can afford to be picky based on whatever criteria they choose to set.

who_cares
6th Apr 2017, 09:46
where did you hear this little gem. If true, a disgrace, and just the next step in Australia selling out its own people. A quick (?) call to CASA will be happening.

That won't help CASA allows it to happen

Tuck Mach
6th Apr 2017, 12:31
That won't help CASA allows it to happenUnless amended, I am relatively sure the FWA prohibits QF crewing VH registered mainline aircraft with foreign nationals. Those foreign nationals under the QSA 1992, can operate said aircraft deemed as 'Qantas Mainline aircraft', therefore need be inserted on the Qantas seniority system to be permitted ( and as such must be licenced and paid as QF)

The intent of JC was always a 'sham' as Lea Drake correctly asserted, but it is clear that is exactly what Qantas intended and the IR management would dearly love a 'trans tasman' free movement of labour arbitrage model. What do you think they really were trying to do in setting up 'sham' franchises in Asia: Arbitraging Australian jobs is a national past time in the globalised world.

Dogman
6th Apr 2017, 12:46
Got the Thanks but no thanks email a week ago......that means it took HR 5 months to decide that my pyschometric scores "did not meet the benchmark required for the Pilot Program". Ok fair enough, I didn't score high enough to progress to the next stage......But 5 months to figure that out? Oh and yes I'm also one of those pilots that walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and even dresses like a duck.......but apparently not quite duckish enough to be considered.
Although maybe that above theory has merit?? Why would Qantas allow Captains from its other group companies to leave when ultimately it may have to foot the bill for their replacement?

I've also heard of some shocking blunders by HR informing people that they got all the way through selection and were only awaiting a start date......only to get the unsuccessful email a week later.

Dog gone it!

JimletG1000
7th Apr 2017, 23:17
I've also heard of some shocking blunders by HR informing people that they got all the way through selection and were only awaiting a start date......only to get the unsuccessful email a week later.

Dogman, can you actually confirm this? Or are you most likely referring to candidates I've heard of who were successful with their Second Officer application, but then got an email either before or afterwards saying they were unsuccessful with the 'GROUP PILOT' application (the one which opened a few weeks after the S/O apps opened) which most people applied to. When it was switched off it seems after a successful S/O application, it caused it to generate a 'you've been unsuccessuful' email to be sent out a few have said.

SandyPalms
13th Apr 2017, 10:58
For those of you following at home. QF today announced a 787 base in Perth. Word on the street is up to 150 s/o's based over there in the future.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
13th Apr 2017, 11:40
Where was this Perth base announced? I can't seem to find anything concrete online.

Tuner 2
13th Apr 2017, 11:54
Why would it be online? It was in the internal document published today to current pilots.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
13th Apr 2017, 11:58
Why would it be online? It was in the internal document published today to current pilots.

He he. I'm just in a position where this would be amazing news so I'd be excited to see something concrete 😎

SandyPalms
13th Apr 2017, 12:01
It was an FSO regarding training allocations for the year ahead. It included 787 positions based in Perth. Might not be wise to say no when asked if you would go to Perth for the job. Good luck to all.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
13th Apr 2017, 12:10
It was an FSO regarding training allocations for the year ahead. It included 787 positions based in Perth. Might not be wise to say no when asked if you would go to Perth for the job. Good luck.

I dunno... Perth is a long way from my present location of Rottnest Island. About 17 NM I think

SandyPalms
13th Apr 2017, 12:11
Great. I suppose you wouldn't say no. There are others interested though, I presume.

Bug Smasher Smasher
13th Apr 2017, 13:38
Monday 2nd of April 2018.

Beer Baron
13th Apr 2017, 22:10
Word on the street is up to 150 s/o's based over there in the future.
While that may end up being true at some point, I'd not expect that to be the case for several years.
The base is initially set to be 20 Capt and 20 F/O's so presumably ~40 S/O's.
If PER-LHR proves to be a hit then that may well increase but I believe they have other plans in store for the next couple of jets. So there will still be plenty of 787 S/O's hired to the east coast over the next 2 years.

dragon man
13th Apr 2017, 22:52
Next routes are likely to be Perth Paris and Perth Frankfurt, hence the Perth basing. Next orders to be announced with the annual result in late August, Evans made mention that minimum fleet size for efficiency is 30. Aircraft 7 and 8 are to be delivered earlier if possible but to do so,will entail 5 and 6 been slightly delayed.

Keg
13th Apr 2017, 23:00
Wow, thanks pretty specific! Thanks. Any indications of direct SO A330 recruitment ceasing in the near future?

Last reports about 6 weeks ago were still until the end of this calendar year.

Flyboy1987
13th Apr 2017, 23:09
I dunno... Perth is a long way from my present location of Rottnest Island. About 17 NM I think

Is Rottnest Air Taxi in the one world alliance? Commute once staff travel kicks in?

SandyPalms
13th Apr 2017, 23:41
While that may end up being true at some point, I'd not expect that to be the case for several years.

True.

Aircraft 7 and 8 are to be delivered earlier if possible but to do so,will entail 5 and 6 been slightly delayed.

The last four deliveries have been accelerated significantly, that's for sure. Hadn't heard about the delay to 5-6. But to get all 4 sooner is a good thing.

Food for thought for those looking to join.

LAX-JFK?

SonofCoco
13th Apr 2017, 23:46
With the 789 planned to replace the 744s, I assumed that LAX JFK would be picked up by the 789. Hope so!

dragon man
14th Apr 2017, 00:00
With the 789 planned to replace the 744s, I assumed that LAX JFK would be picked up by the 789. Hope so!
Yes, the Bne lax service is due to go to the 787 in May 2019 it will continue to JFK. The 3 RR powered 747s were to be retired but they are now thinking of keeping one of them as a spare to plug holes which would be a very smart move IMO.

Tuck Mach
14th Apr 2017, 01:42
Evans made mention that minimum fleet size for efficiency is 30Gareth is talking an 'absolute truth', the same number was floated when they conspired to close Avalon heavy Maintenance, effectively circumventing the QSA and ending Australian heavy maintenance for ever...

Before considering the imminent arrival of the ghostly '50 aircraft order', that some will hang on to no matter how many times it fails to materialise, one needs to understand how exactly the balance sheet is geared and the amount of off balance sheet debt. It may be that more aircraft replace the retired types but that may mean the horizon is further off than it first appears. Gareth knows that.

It may be worth looking into demographics at play to see how the opportunity may present

FRQ Charlie Bravo
14th Apr 2017, 04:00
Is Rottnest Air Taxi in the one world alliance? Commute once staff travel kicks in?

Would be an ideal commute. YRTI - PER DCT. At Rotto accommodation rates and C182 ID90 rates it just might be cheaper than my current council rates.

maggot
14th Apr 2017, 04:11
Would be an ideal commute. YRTI - PER DCT. At Rotto accommodation rates and C182 ID90 rates it just might be cheaper than my current council rates.
Sorry no commuting to YPPH. Fatigue you know, but its ok to drive from Margaret River
:p

Fok
19th Apr 2017, 06:05
I'm one of those that got invited to the panel but no further. I'm an internal app,long serving and the guys getting start dates are new f.o's who just got checked to line and 'bonded'. Go figure. Thanks HR also for the non existent feedback. 👍🏻

amateur
20th Apr 2017, 02:40
I'm one of those that got invited to the panel but no further. I'm an internal app,long serving and the guys getting start dates are new f.o's who just got checked to line and 'bonded'. Go figure. Thanks HR also for the non existent feedback. 👍🏻

Also plenty of experienced internals in the FO and Captain ranks getting start dates.

Fok
20th Apr 2017, 09:54
Also plenty of experienced internals in the FO and Captain ranks getting start dates.

Plenty of very suitable candidates that didn't which are on this forum....and I'm talking about the guys who have just walked into a qantas sub and are now jumping over everyone else. Consistency and loyalty would be nice.

havick
20th Apr 2017, 12:10
Plenty of very suitable candidates that didn't which are on this forum....and I'm talking about the guys who have just walked into a qantas sub and are now jumping over everyone else. Consistency and loyalty would be nice.

Maybe they picked up on the sense of entitlement and decided to pass.

I don't see a contracted flow agreement anywhere between mainline and their subsidiaries so how are they jumping over you?

Fok
20th Apr 2017, 13:33
Maybe they picked up on the sense of entitlement and decided to pass.

I don't see a contracted flow agreement anywhere between mainline and their subsidiaries so how are they jumping over you?

There is no consistent criteria. It's anyone's guess what they are looking for. Entitlement doesn't exist here. You don't need a contract for everything....

china123
21st Apr 2017, 01:23
making people jump through hoops all for squat - what a disgrace! :(

the moral of the story; don't ever trust Qantas particularly, their somewhat lacking HR department! :ugh:

Tuck Mach
21st Apr 2017, 12:43
Qantas long ago ceased to be an airline of any substance. The modern variant is a huge bureaucracy with an airline, (a shell of itself attached). It is a bloated corporate with never ending internal wars.

Sadly despite protests to the contrary from 'pilot recruiters' on these pages, many feared the recruitment process to be hijacked by HR. Folks it is a turf war.
Ably led by Colonel Custer (Qantas CP Dick) Flight Operations surrendered and were overrun by HR with their endless 'tell us a time when' style questions...

They want a compliant, customer focused individual, up on social media, take selfies with the fearless leader whilst not noticing they wasted their time and a decade of their life as Alan pursued a 'negative advancement strategy'. He squandered billions of other's people's money proudly re-inventing the wheel on ill fated Asian IR (JQ) ventures, and corporate w*nk words...Whether the 'talent' can fly an aircraft is to them irrelevant...

To a pilot, technical prowess and acumen are important, as is the universal necessity for a good pilot to have as many landings as take-offs (ICAO standard) The humour lost on a 25 year old graduate looking to move up in the corporate world....

Take heart folks, demographics are working for pilots and whilst Qantas of old was something to behold, today it is another sign post pointing the way to how the west was lost.. :mad:

V-Jet
21st Apr 2017, 23:07
^^^^ What he said.

Don't take it personally if you don't fit what some QF HR drone (who might know aircraft have wings) thinks a pilot should be. They hate technical crew, don't understand the field so having to choose one they hate less than others must be very difficult for them. After having met these people, I take a bit of pride in the fact they don't like me. The feeling is more than mutual.

It's not you and QF is just one airline (if that is the right word for it these days). Also don't forget there will be a VAST number of retirements in a few years, times change and (hopefully) so does management and the recruitment process(ors). A 'no' is really 'not now' - I think a more likely question for many in a few years will be 'do I really want to work for them'. The world is a very big place - Qf isn't.

Tuck Mach
22nd Apr 2017, 01:00
Thanks V jet..

I wasn't trying to be dismissive of the people rejected, however ask most Qantas pilots about the way they are treated: Thinly veiled contempt from the top down. HR is a modern day representation of envy, a huge consumer of resources, creating division, drama and problems wherever they are. Pilot applicants will be treated the same.They struggle for relevance in a respectful workplace, yet Qantas is anything but a respectful workplace. It is only a few years ago, that pilots at Qantas were locked out of their workplace, even those domestic pilots not involved in the wearing of red ties (not JQ, or Jetconnect though), the narrative changed as it suited the HR people but their feelings are ingrained.

I have spent considerable time on another thread detailing the demographics at play affecting many skilled profession including pilots. These professions have strict criteria, long lead times and are highly specialsed. As such, globalisation sort of works against employers in aviation, pilots can seek opportunities elsewhere.

CASA have found CPL applications have declined markedly for many years
RAAF applications for air crew running way behind their required level

The irony for Qantas is that driving terms and conditions to the gutter, an adversarial IR/HR model created a feedback loop which sees potential pilots go elsewhere and new students decide flying is not a career with a sufficient return on investment.

It may well be something we witness in years to come; that the HR dominance of the recruiting process saw new trainees ill equipped with skills, acumen or experience to safely pilot jet aircraft in the requisite training time minimums.

There are far greener pastures than the once proud Qantas. Despite the self assured PR crap , Joyce has overseen an 'advance to the rear', quite unlike anything witnessed in modern Australian aviation and recruiting bears the same incompetent stamp..:(

V-Jet
22nd Apr 2017, 02:12
I didn't think you were, but I entirely agree with all you said. It's very easy to say so from the inside because we have (QF crew) been 'accepted' but it's really important that people know getting in (to QF:):) ) is not everything in life. ESPECIALLY these days. Also a good time to pass on one funny story from a guy now retired; He was rejected as being too old !!seventeen!! years before he was accepted!

FRQ Charlie Bravo
22nd Apr 2017, 15:35
I get it, it sucks to miss out on something you've invested in and pinned your hopes on. It's especially crap when you truly believe that it was unjust.

Note I don't say this to disagree with anybody's​ comments however I will point out that sometimes one has to choose to change the system and other times one must play the system.

I personally have sound theory and my manipulative skills are of a good standard however I am not the Ace of Base.

Flying skills are a must however I understood that the path to the job I wanted involved demonstrating acumen in other areas first and then ensuring that my piloting theory and skills would be up to snuff when the time came.

Were we given much notice about the psychometric? Yes and no. We all knew it was happening this year and we all knew it was coming soon once we'd applied so yes many of us started preparing with silly practice exams that will never make us better pilots. But three days was not long at all, especially for those caught out on holiday, on extended layovers or dealing with min rest.

Unfortunately no matter how good a stick you are you're getting no bite at the cherry without a good score to prove that you can convert fizzy drinks sales in ¥ to € and then multiply that by a factor to then calculate European juice sales to establish what colour the factory roof is. It's silly but the hoop to jump through was known.

I for one was hungover AF and overseas when I learnt that I had only 28 hours (thank you Gmail spam filter) to pour myself into seat 12F, get my head right, get back to Aus and complete the psychometric exam and video interview. (Thankfully I could fall back on the prep I'd done 5 months and 2 months prior.)

Next I knew that in Sydney I wasn't going to be asked about the fuel system on my current aircraft or which side of the Jetstream is most turbulent when Jupiter is in transit; rather I'd be asked to tell them about a time when someone was a prick at work and how we fixed it.

I knew because:
A. I asked around,
B. I read PPRuNe and
C. They basically told us that in the email (or maybe that was Virgin... I get confused).

This has all worked out for me and if all goes to plan I'll be wearing a ridiculously white hat this year. (Not that it'll stay white for long based on my track record with white clothing and tomato-based foods.)

So is an interview sans tech questions the wrong way to hire pilots? I don't know. Although I do care it was irrelevant at the time because I knew that what mattered was simple story telling, smiling when conversing, demonstrating team work skills and just fitting into the mold. So I poured my energy into that and possibly even lost some pilot info along the way.

I do not begrudge anybody their complaints of the system, the only way to change a process for the better is to highlight it's negative aspects; just be mindful of sour grapes, it is rather unbecoming of our profession.

If you were trying for this and you got the thanks-but-no-thanks email please do not lose heart. The profession affords many amazing opportunities and there will be future intakes at QF of you're still keen when the time comes.

I can take the heat if you feel you must flame me (I'm quite used to it) but please know that I'm not telling you of and as a fellow pilot I'm on your side.

Fair winds and following seas, chaps (just trying to perfect my QF-speak. Perhaps I'd best keep working on it.)

Falling Leaf
22nd Apr 2017, 21:22
Having just seen the Courier Mail article about the psychometric tests that train drivers had to complete, I know that the HR infection has spread through the entire patient. The article quoted a UQ Maths Professor who said his students would struggle with the test.

If I decide to have another crack at QF in 12 months, I will obviously have to throw a few grand at PATS (thanks for the email, how did you get my details?). That's 'playing the game' I guess. In a world gone mad, act like a lunatic.

JimletG1000
22nd Apr 2017, 22:16
If I decide to have another crack at QF in 12 months, I will obviously have to throw a few grand at PATS (thanks for the email, how did you get my details?).

No need to spend thousands of dollars whatsoever! Tonnes of far better practice material online for a sign up fee a fraction of the cost...

FRQ Charlie Bravo
22nd Apr 2017, 23:11
If I decide to have another crack at QF in 12 months, I will obviously have to throw a few grand at PATS (thanks for the email, how did you get my details?). That's 'playing the game' I guess. In a world gone mad, act like a lunatic.

I agree with jimlet,
No need to spend lots of money on psychometric practice. Doing a handful of the free ones is more than sufficient. You can even do the same question a few times of there's time between attempts.

The only money I spent was $500 on interview prep and $400 on sim practice. Whilst the was interview prep was expensive I just knew that I needed it. I don't agree with it... but my hand was forced because telling stories about myself was something that did not come naturally to me.

maggot
23rd Apr 2017, 04:56
Interview prep is a great idea - I did it 20 years ago and recon it really helped me.

V-Jet
23rd Apr 2017, 05:03
but my hand was forced because telling stories about myself was something that did not come naturally to me.

And you are a ...pilot..?? Ever been to a bar? Seen an aircraft carrier around here? If what you say is really true, that sort of behaviour must stop immediately or you'll be that lonely one in the corner with RDeC everyone talks about!!:):)

This is for your own good, you'll thank me one day. Repeat this phrase until you hear it in your sleep: 'There I was...nothing on the clocks but the makers name....'

FRQ Charlie Bravo
23rd Apr 2017, 05:56
And you are a ...pilot..?? Ever been to a bar? Seen an aircraft carrier around here? If what you say is really true, that sort of behaviour must stop immediately or you'll be that lonely one in the corner with RDeC everyone talks about!!:):)

This is for your own good, you'll thank me one day. Repeat this phrase until you hear it in your sleep: 'There I was...nothing on the clocks but the makers name....'
Bwaa haa haa! 'Makers name', I love it!

And for the record it was an aircraft carrier that first brought me to this country almost two decades ago!

V-Jet
23rd Apr 2017, 11:12
Bwaa haa haa! 'Makers name', I love it!

And for the record it was an aircraft carrier that first brought me to this country almost two decades ago!

Cougar, is that you? Didn't you turn in your wings??

FRQ Charlie Bravo
23rd Apr 2017, 14:05
I don't mind the odd cougar now and then 🤔... but no, that's not me. 🐆

CharlieBrav0
24th Apr 2017, 04:58
Hi everyone, I am an external applicant on the hold file for the SO QF position. Does anyone in a similar situation have any idea how long we could possibly be on hold for? Its literally doing my head in every single day waiting for a start date. Do you think its possible that you could be on the hold file and never get a start date?

FRQ Charlie Bravo
24th Apr 2017, 09:45
Hi everyone, I am an external applicant on the hold file for the SO QF position. Does anyone in a similar situation have any idea how long we could possibly be on hold for? Its literally doing my head in every single day waiting for a start date. Do you think its possible that you could be on the hold file and never get a start date?

CharlieBrav0,

The waiting game is no fun at all. The best advice I can give is to ensure that your keep the recruiters up-to-date with your situation. Make sure that they know if your circumstances change (i.e. a period of unavailability coming up, you've been offered an upgrade but taking it will subject you to a bond etc). Just start an email dialogue.

Paul Alfred
24th Apr 2017, 10:49
CharlieBravO

I can understand your frustration but be happy that you are on the hold.....some of us didn't get that far. From what I'm told the HR cogs turn slowly at QF. With a ground school every month till December i'm sure you won't be waiting as long as some of us have on previous holds over the years.

Well done. Good Luck.

pig dog
24th Apr 2017, 22:16

Hey CharlieBrav0, check your pm settings. I just tried to send one but it bounced back.

Tankengine
25th Apr 2017, 00:38

Chill.
I was on hold for 15 Months way back, I doubt if things have changed, lots of recruiting coming up.

china123
25th Apr 2017, 01:49
Hi CharlieBrav0,

Just curious to know how many hours you have and what aircraft?

Fonz121
25th Apr 2017, 04:12
A lot of the internals have been told there wont be a start date until next year. Although I suspect that's because of the crewing requirements of the relevant group company.

A320 Flyer
25th Apr 2017, 18:31
Are many people getting all the way through to successfully completing the medical and getting knocked back following that?

FogBuster
26th Apr 2017, 07:14
Are many people getting all the way through to successfully completing the medical and getting knocked back following that?

Plenty of cadets did back in September I think. Several who apparently had passed all the benchmarks (based on the feedback they received) got knocked back for trivial things at the executive review stage.

Loopa12
26th Apr 2017, 08:02
FogBuster - do you have any examples of the "trivial things" that the Exec. Committee are knocking applicants back for?

IsDon
26th Apr 2017, 10:14
Not being prepared to wear a busted ring.

All the vouge now apparently.

FogBuster
26th Apr 2017, 10:53
FogBuster - do you have any examples of the "trivial things" that the Exec. Committee are knocking applicants back for?

Yes but it could be used to identify people, potentially damaging their careers more than QF already has. If you know any of the cadets/internals who've been knocked back ask them about their feedback and you'll quickly see what I mean.

strim
26th Apr 2017, 12:18
Are June/July courses full?

crosscutter
26th Apr 2017, 22:27
Plenty of cadets did back in September I think. Several who apparently had passed all the benchmarks (based on the feedback they received) got knocked back for trivial things at the executive review stage.

Alleged breaches of QF policy probably aren't viewed as trivial at the executive review stage. Not saying that this is specific to the Sept mob you mentioned.

crosscutter
27th Apr 2017, 01:49
Who said there was alleged breaches of qf policy discussed at the executive review? How would you know that crosscutter?

Touché. What would I know? I don't know. I do suspect hopefuls are not culled for no good reason and I'm tired of the blame shifting attitudes

FogBuster
27th Apr 2017, 03:07
Touché. What would I know? I don't know. I do suspect hopefuls are not culled for no good reason and I'm tired of the blame shifting attitudes

You may be tired of blame shifting (although this is PPRuNe and collectively we're a whinge of pilots right?) but I'm tired of an HR department that trivialises our profession in a desperate attempt to validate their own.

Jc31
27th Apr 2017, 03:15
I heard one cadet got knocked back for sitting too aggressively in the interview.

maggot
27th Apr 2017, 03:37

No. Smoke, fire. HR.

SandyPalms
29th Apr 2017, 06:41
Looking good if you want to be Brisbane based👍

aiv23
29th Apr 2017, 07:39
How so Sandy?

SandyPalms
29th Apr 2017, 08:22
Very Strong rumours the next 2 (5/6) will be brisbane based. Allocation for current pilots later in the year. Assume there would be a S/O base, as there is one for the A330. Just waiting on delivery confirmation is they chatter. Keg?

Keg
29th Apr 2017, 13:03
G'day Sandy. Yeah. Had heard that but only on grape vine. Nothing more formal than that but it seems to dovetail with the rumoured plan for the aeroplanes from Dec last year.

Next 20ish 787 commands and F/O slots (and I presume 40ish S/O slots) to go to BNE. I think these will be the ones alluded to in the NTFS as potentially coming this training year depending on when the aeroplanes are slated to arrive in the second half of calendar year 2018. SYD base with similar numbers for aeroplanes 7 and 8 with similar numbers likely in FY 18/19.

If the order for more jets firms up then probably additional training slots in 18/19 depending on when they're slated for delivery after 1 Jul '19.

I recall a rumour from 12 or so months ago that our delivery slots for FY19/20 were for something like 11 aeroplanes. Of course QF may not take all of them (if the rumour is even true) but if they do it'll make the training load of this year and next look like child's play.

How QF deal with the S/O slots will be interesting given that PER and MEL S/Os should get first go at bidding for the transfer to BNE, etc. I wonder if we'll see a time when junior pilots are recruited to SYD 787 whilst more senior crew in PER can't bid back to SYD. I hope it doesn't come to that.

amateur
30th Apr 2017, 09:06
With the 787 not operating until the end of the year, any news on how long new hires expect to be on the training salary? I've heard whispers of J* flying to get SOTs checked to line, but has anyone heard anything recently?

pblak
2nd May 2017, 22:22
Thanks for that C441, not having luck with old user/pass combo and it says to contact an admin when trying to do password reset.
Just toying with whether it'd be prudent to give HR an email, obviously don't want to harass but just want to make sure I haven't been lost in the migration!

Hi ReBjorn. Have you been able to log into the new Workday system to view your current application?

SandyPalms
2nd May 2017, 23:05
However, senior sources in the airline’s pilot ranks confirmed a new 787 pilot base would be set up in Brisbane to support a Dallas or Los Angeles-Brisbane-Perth-Paris operation.

From an article about QF starting PER-CDG in tandem with BNE-LAX or DFW. Sound more than a little vague, but there you go.

Keg
2nd May 2017, 23:38
Where was that article Sandy?

Perth- Paris daily is two aeroplanes. BNE- LAX daily is two aeroplanes as well. I guess it's possible within the current airframes.

SandyPalms
2nd May 2017, 23:56
Nonstop Perth to Paris Qantas flights departing soon | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/nonstop-perth-to-paris-qantas-flights-departing-soon/news-story/a91bc8844f5481079ddb42d7f59a7a13)

Looks like an impeccable source :)

Keg
3rd May 2017, 00:44
Lol. Of course!

Perth to Paris would actually be better for pilots given it's an expansion route rather than simply replacing a 744 SYD- LAX- NYC.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
3rd May 2017, 02:11
Looks like an impeccable source :)

There needs to be a drinking game involving the words 'game changer' used in conjunction with the QF B789. :yuk:

Keg
3rd May 2017, 02:59
You'd be dead from alcohol poisoning before the end of a press conference.

JimletG1000
11th May 2017, 13:34
Keg, do you know if June/July courses have been allocated yet?

Fonz121
11th May 2017, 20:35
Courses until the end of the year have been allocated to internals. Not sure if that applied to externals as well.

273Kelvin
12th May 2017, 06:16
Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Is anyone actually still awaiting a response from post-psych test/video interview stage?

I emailed 2ish mths ago about the recruitment website system changing over and whether or not I needed to create a new profile/application. All they suggested was that until I heard from them, the app was still active and under review.

717tech
12th May 2017, 10:42
There's definitely externals that have start dates this year. I know of several.

Slezy9
13th May 2017, 06:42
Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Is anyone actually still awaiting a response from post-psych test/video interview stage.

I know of a couple of guys who've heard diddly squat since doing the online stuff last year. I think at this stage no news is good news. At least you don't have a NO!

fearcampaign
14th May 2017, 03:18
Keg.
Qantas have a total of 15 787 options at guaranteed purchase prices till 2020.
That means 7 remaining should QF choose to take them up.
The others are only purchase rights without the price guarantees and without guaranteed slots till 2025 so they still have 7 years to make a decision on those.
Should QF take up the remaining 7 by 2020 then Joyce has hinted that will be when the 6 remaining jumbos will go. Could be waiting for ETOPS to fly JNB/SCL before replacing the last 6 747s.
8 787 replace 5 744 and IF the 7 remaining come it's likely 6 744 go for a net gain of 1 in the next order.
In total 15 787 in and 11 747s go. Net gain of 4 aircraft so at least it's something. Lots of premium seats so must make lots of $$$$ compared to a Very low yield JQ 787 that is smaller. West Australian Pravda saying PER-LHR 42 J seats at around $9000 a ticket and 28 premium at approx $4500. 166 economy approx $2300. Sold out and Very high yield. Fuel burn is very low(the highest cost), maintenance cheap too. Crew costs can't be that far off JQ either. Easily Half price SOs too compared to 747.
Certainly it looks like 787 is a long haul aircraft for Qantas for at least a decade.
With the higher productivity of crews flying the 787 I don't think it will be huge numbers. Talk is massive retirements will be the growth driver not new hulls. No LWOP extensions and QF been asking for pilots to return.
Good luck to those applying.

dragon man
14th May 2017, 03:39
As of Friday the 6 x 747 ERs are not due to go till 2023.

fearcampaign
14th May 2017, 04:20
Good info Dragon Man. :ok:
Would seem smart to keep the 6 new 747s for as long as possible whilst they have been written down to zero, sorry transformed, or is that turned around? Or is that a game Changer? Someone help me out here. :)
Especially whilst fuel is cheap, the checks been done and they have the A380 refurb.
Suppose wait and see if or when the 7 options are exercised and when they actually arrive.
Great to see some fresh faces again with all the movement.

*Lancer*
14th May 2017, 07:54
fearcampaign,

The Group retained 14 787-8 orders, 20 options, and 30 purchase rights.

11 orders went to Jetstar, 3 were converted to 787-9s for Qantas.
5 options were exercised as 787-9s for Qantas.

So there are 15 options remaining at fixed prices and generally fixed dates, and 30 purchase rights at fixed prices but no fixed dates.

Joyce has been quoted saying Qantas would like the remaining 45, if the first batch prove their worth.

:ok:

dragon man
14th May 2017, 07:54
I should have added they might keep one of the Rollers as well as a spare. Decision will be made at the end of next year based on the price of the check due and wether they want an orphan in the fleet.

blow.n.gasket
14th May 2017, 08:09
Will Second Segment limitations allow the 787 to do Santiago - Sydney ?

Keg
14th May 2017, 23:18
So there are 15 options remaining at fixed prices and generally fixed dates, and 30 purchase rights at fixed prices but no fixed dates.

That was how I understood it. Those 15 options with dates attached are all within a fairly short period of time- two years I think. 19/20 and 20/21. With the current 8 787s all being accelerated to now arrive by the end of next year I wonder if they may try and hurry up some of these other 15 options also.

Keg
14th May 2017, 23:20
Keg, do you know if June/July courses have been allocated yet?

Don't know that level of detail. Sorry. There was a rumour that the A330 June course has been 'moved to the right' due to lack of training capacity but haven't heard anything more concrete than the scuttlebutt.

There was also a rumour of potentially a DE S/O to the A380 and/or 744 also at some stage this calendar year. That'll set another cat amongst the pigeons to join the couple that are already there.

logansi
15th May 2017, 00:50
Just wanted to ask this because it was a topic of discussion among my colleagues the other day.

Qantas has one option for minimum hours being "500 hours in Command of a powered fixed wing aeroplane (excluding hours in Command Under Supervision)", this seems quite low - would anyone be even looked at with around these hours? For example, many of us are instructors so have built up plenty of Single Engine time but lack the Multi-time (Less than 75 hours), how realistic is it QF would look at pilots with low Multi-Time?

*Lancer*
15th May 2017, 01:32
Completely realistic.

If they only wanted high multi-time pilots, the criteria would be set accordingly.

FogBuster
15th May 2017, 09:34
Just wanted to ask this because it was a topic of discussion among my colleagues the other day.

Qantas has one option for minimum hours being "500 hours in Command of a powered fixed wing aeroplane (excluding hours in Command Under Supervision)", this seems quite low - would anyone be even looked at with around these hours? For example, many of us are instructors so have built up plenty of Single Engine time but lack the Multi-time (Less than 75 hours), how realistic is it QF would look at pilots with low Multi-Time?

They don't want guys who can fly planes/are highly experienced, just people who fit the HR personality mould. One cadet who got through was a flight instructor, never touched a turboprop, while another was a captain on a jet and missed out. Go figure.

Derfred
15th May 2017, 11:49
They don't want guys who can fly planes/are highly experienced

They never have. What's new?

Tankengine
15th May 2017, 12:10
They never have. What's new?

They do actually, just that you need to meet the current profile as well.
There has always been "some get in, some don't."

GoldCoastTobacconist
16th May 2017, 01:47
After the recent training advertisement - is there any respectable guess at when SO A330 will no longer be offered and all recruitment onto 787?.

No SO's have been allocated PER as yet.

Iron Bar
16th May 2017, 03:20
Re 380 SO positions.

4 SYD based 380 SO positions and 4 PER based 73' FO positions were advertised to JQ pilots under the MOU in early May.

380 positions should get some interest.

GoldCoastTobacconist
16th May 2017, 05:12
and to follow on - will QF consider CCQ onto the A330 to ease the training burden ?

Can you CCQ to SO?

Lookleft
16th May 2017, 08:18
380 positions should get some interest.

Why? The only pilots eligible are all Captains.

PPRuNeUser0184
16th May 2017, 09:02
Why? The only pilots eligible are all Captains.

1) Change of scenery.
2) Similar money
3) So something different than A320 domestic ops
4) See a few destinations
5) Try a different company

MOU number will probably be very close to PER 330 FO and in a couple of years 330 east coast.

Lookleft
16th May 2017, 09:16
Most of them are 787 Captains so all of your points are wrong.

Tankengine
16th May 2017, 10:03

In what way?
We just had an A330 training Captain take a A380 S/O slot so you never know! ;)

PPRuNeUser0184
16th May 2017, 11:31

So you can speak for all of those can you??

Don't concern yourself. If people want to take the opportunity they will. If they don't, they won't.

Life is not all about sitting in the same LHS for the next 15-20 years

Iron Bar
16th May 2017, 13:20
3 years, no jeopardy, Nov 04 seniority number 1649 (most junior 330 PER FO 1648), same money, 10-15 (at most) days per month at work, 4 crew (i.e. proper crew rest), QF LH EBA, overtime, stable roster, no Jetstar.

Just ask the RIN'ed 76' FOs.

This is a no brainer. If you don't like it, go back to 78' command at the end of tenure and that's it, or take advantage of three years to see where the "group" is going, keep you 04 seniority number and make the most of it.

CCQ on to 330 - QF have a contractual problem with new hires, must be onto 330 and now 787. 330 training is at capacity, need bums on 380 seats, MOU - 330/320 endorsed pilots to 380 SO training path. Simple solution, I think there will be more than 4 slots filled.

Iron Bar
16th May 2017, 23:04
Santé? Je ne parle pas Français. . .

mrdeux
20th May 2017, 02:01
We just had an A330 training Captain take a A380 S/O slot so you never know! ;)

The reasons behind that are not applicable to any discussion of the MOU.

Tankengine
20th May 2017, 04:28
The reasons behind that are not applicable to any discussion of the MOU.

The reasons are irrelevant.:zzz:

The fact is that not everyone has the same idea of an ideal life or career and some Jetstar Captains may wish to take advantage of the MOU.;)

sandsthrudahrglass
25th May 2017, 13:17
it's all gone very quiet... is anyone else still waiting for a response after the initial online interview and questions???

FRQ Charlie Bravo
25th May 2017, 13:21
it's all gone very quiet... is anyone else still waiting for a response after the initial online interview and questions???

I would suggest that at this point you should send an email asking for an update.

If you've heard nothing yet then you're still in with a chance as so many others have received a negative response.

Send an email, they don't bite.

mulisector
3rd Jun 2017, 04:07
When are they going to be opening up for fresh applications ? Surely they must be getting close to processing everyone who previously applied ??

Keg
3rd Jun 2017, 11:45
Mulisector, suspect it won't be until closer to the end of the year. 1300 applicants last time. As of a few weeks ago there were still a couple of hundred to go through.

mulisector
4th Jun 2017, 03:03
Keg, how many have they actually taken from the previous round of applications ? Are we talking like 100 extra numbers on seniority or more ?

Keg
4th Jun 2017, 13:37
Just under 100 in total since we started August last year- 60ish were ex cadets and LOI holders. That's forecast to continue at 16-20 per month until the end of the year at least. There are some training capacity issues that may see a couple of intakes smaller than others.

SixDemonBag
5th Jun 2017, 03:19
Pretty sure it was 170 for the year...not total. The wording left it open for future recruitment I thought

Fonz121
5th Jun 2017, 04:52
There are a fair few on the hold file too so I hope start dates are given for those before further recruitment proceeds.

Keg
5th Jun 2017, 11:54
The following is crystal ball gazing. I've got nothing official or unofficial. All of this info is freely available to any QF driver who can read their emails and do their maths.

Given Qantas had announced they were looking for roughly 170 pilots when they opened recruitment last year, and this quota looks to be filled by the end of this year given the figures above.....

That was 170 to operate the first 8 787s. Given retirements, expansion of flying hours on the 737 and A330 fleets the actual number required by the time the first 8 787s arrive is likely to be closer to 250... or more. Heck, we'd taken 72 on the A330 before our first S/O started on the 787 so straight up that's 240.

Keep in mind the delivery schedule for all 8 787s has been accelerated so that all 8 arrive by the end of next year. With fixed dates and slots against a number aircraft beyond that- which admittedly QF may choose not to take up- it could be a big few years.

On the downside there are 5 744s due to leave. It only about three aeroplanes worth of capacity due to slow flying the fleet and current tight crewing numbers for the current number of airframes so I wouldn't expect a RIN on the 744 until early- mid 2019 at the earliest depending on where the current crew choose to jump to in the interim.

xaos03
6th Jun 2017, 08:39
In search for some advice..

I have been put through the recruitment process where everything's completed (I believe). It has been 6 weeks since a psych interview was conducted and I am yet to hear anything. I emailed them 3 weeks after the interview for a possible update and was told to sit tight. Has anyone else had to wait this long? Are the chances still good for a place on active hold? I have people in my ear saying no news is good news but I can't help but wonder, but remaining positive! Unfortunately for me it's also a case of missing out on certain endorsements and moving up the ranks which I totally understand from a business point of view.

dragon man
6th Jun 2017, 10:10
The following is crystal ball gazing. I've got nothing official or unofficial. All of this info is freely available to any QF driver who can read their emails and do their maths.

That was 170 to operate the first 8 787s. Given retirements, expansion of flying hours on the 737 and A330 fleets the actual number required by the time the first 8 787s arrive is likely to be closer to 250... or more. Heck, we'd taken 72 on the A330 before our first S/O started on the 787 so straight up that's 240.

Keep in mind the delivery schedule for all 8 787s has been accelerated so that all 8 arrive by the end of next year. With fixed dates and slots against a number aircraft beyond that- which admittedly QF may choose not to take up- it could be a big few years.

On the downside there are 5 744s due to leave. It only about three aeroplanes worth of capacity due to slow flying the fleet and current tight crewing numbers for the current number of airframes so I wouldn't expect a RIN on the 744 until early- mid 2019 at the earliest depending on where the current crew choose to jump to in the interim.

The situation IMO is extremely fluid to say the least. Medical issues and early retirements are running very high. In one week in the last month they lost 4 Captains and one SO. Now il put in one more from left field. If Emerates are pulling out of Syd/Akl/Syd what are the chances they will want to get out of both Melbourne and Brisbane to Auckland? If this was to happen then Qantas would need more aircraft. What's the obvious solution? The 3 RR 747s. Personally, I don't think the company have any idea of retirement numbers, I know of 6 747 Captains who will be gone in the next 12 months, all prior to 60. They are not prepared for this. All in all IMO the next few years will see massive recruitment and training in Qantas. I hope time proves me correct!!!

maggot
6th Jun 2017, 10:43
"Yeah i'll be gone by 60"

Yeah right

Tankengine
6th Jun 2017, 10:45
In search for some advice..

I have been put through the recruitment process where everything's completed (I believe). It has been 6 weeks since a psych interview was conducted and I am yet to hear anything. I emailed them 3 weeks after the interview for a possible update and was told to sit tight. Has anyone else had to wait this long? Are the chances still good for a place on active hold? I have people in my ear saying no news is good news but I can't help but wonder, but remaining positive! Unfortunately for me it's also a case of missing out on certain endorsements and moving up the ranks which I totally understand from a business point of view.

If it helps I was on hold for over 15 months. I doubt if Qantas are any better at recruitment now than all those years ago.

xaos03
6th Jun 2017, 11:40
If it helps I was on hold for over 15 months. I doubt if Qantas are any better at recruitment now than all those years ago.

I'll take all the help I can get, appreciate the comforting words Tankengine!

Fonz121
6th Jun 2017, 12:21
It has been 6 weeks since a psych interview was conducted and I am yet to hear anything

I wouldn't worry about it mate. I waited about 10 weeks before hearing anything after completing the process last year. My opinion is that if they've invested the money into sending you to do a psych then you're in with a decent chance. Assuming you're not a psychopath. But even then you never know ;)

Beer Baron
7th Jun 2017, 00:58
Just to add to the uncertainty. Qantas haven't announced/decided where the next 787 route will be, so they can not allocate slots on the later aircraft as they don't know what base the pilots will be in. I'd guess this would effect new hire pilots too as they would probably need to tell you where you are going to be based before offering you the job.
If they were really smart, (which I hear they are not), they might even try to hire guys resident in certain cities to the base they live in. ie. if you live in Perth you might be more likely to get a 787 PER base position. This is just a guess though, but it could lead to further delays while we wait to find out where it will fly to/from.

mrhooker
7th Jun 2017, 01:55
How times have changed.Greater than 40 years ago following initial correspondence with QF I was given a file number. I contacted them 9 years later with AirForce time under belt and was given in quick succession flight tests and two interviews. Interviews with MANAGEMENT CAPTAINS which could only be described as open, welcoming and friendly.Final question from panel chair "Do you have any requests?" Yes I answered "can you give me as much notice as possible?" Chair rang me next day and said I had a job, just let us know the earliest you can leave the RAAF.

Fonz121
7th Jun 2017, 02:49
I'd guess this would effect new hire pilots too as they would probably need to tell you where you are going to be based before offering you the job.

None of the guys with start dates up until the end of the year have been issued a basing yet. I don't believe that happens until just before you start when the contract is sent out.

Beer Baron
7th Jun 2017, 03:18
Fair enough, I stand corrected.
Might be a bit tough for guys allocated to PER at the last minute with no staff travel for 6 months.

engine out
7th Jun 2017, 07:16
Although you may have a preference would you really turn down the in just because it is not where you want?

maggot
7th Jun 2017, 08:09
Might be a bit tough for guys allocated to PER at the last minute with no staff travel for 6 months.

6 months from start date or checkout? Need to operate to check out may take a little longer than usual? Would they be based syd until checkout? Or OOB allowances etc may come into play

Bug Smasher Smasher
7th Jun 2017, 12:32
:ugh: Typical east-coast-centric comment.
Not everyone is from the east coast. There are plenty of guys from all over the country who relocated to the east coast when they got the job and survived without staff travel for the first six months.

mrdeux
8th Jun 2017, 04:16
There are a fair few on the hold file too so I hope start dates are given for those before further recruitment proceeds.

My understanding of the 'hold' file is that you have no guarantees at all. If they find someone they like more, they'll take them, and you could remain on hold forever.

mrdeux
8th Jun 2017, 04:20
"Yeah i'll be gone by 60"

I'm working on 63.5.

The US visa will be my cutoff point. I have no intention of going through that rubbish again.

Three of my friends are planning on going very soon. One is a little over 60, whilst the other two will be on their 60th.

As far as I know, nobody is giving the company any warning.

Beer Baron
8th Jun 2017, 05:08
Typical east-coast-centric comment.
Not everyone is from the east coast.
News flash buddy, 80% of the population live on the east coast and it is well known that commuting to PER is a tougher gig than on the east side. It's even proving tough to get enough bidders for the 737 PER F/O spots.
And yeah, I know not everyone lives on the east coast, that's why my previous post specifically mentioned guys who live in Perth ideally getting a base where they live.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
8th Jun 2017, 05:29
News flash buddy, 80% of the population live on the east coast and it is well known that commuting to PER is a tougher gig than on the east side. It's even proving tough to get enough bidders for the 737 PER F/O spots.
And yeah, I know not everyone lives on the east coast, that's why my previous post specifically mentioned guys who live in Perth ideally getting a base where they live.

You're right, 80% of the population lives one the east and LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY! You can have your funnel web spiders and your toll roads, we'll enjoy our sunsets over the Indian Ocean and our 23.5 hours a day of no rush hour traffic.

You're also right about the tyranny of distance with commuting to/from Perth. OK for long haul but that's about it (though I do one guy who commuted AKL PER for an 100 gig!).

dragon man
8th Jun 2017, 05:51
I'm working on 63.5.

The US visa will be my cutoff point. I have no intention of going through that rubbish again.

Three of my friends are planning on going very soon. One is a little over 60, whilst the other two will be on their 60th.

As far as I know, nobody is giving the company any warning.

Correct and agree, but also the medicals every 6 months plus stress ECGs basically every 12 months. A pain in the backside.

Capt Fathom
8th Jun 2017, 06:16
A pain in the backside
I could live with that. But probably not a pain in the heart!

ZebraFlyer
8th Jun 2017, 06:25
6 months from start date or checkout? Need to operate to check out may take a little longer than usual? Would they be based syd until checkout? Or OOB allowances etc may come into play

Start date for JQ. Imagine QF is the same?

Fonz121
8th Jun 2017, 08:08
Yeah it's start date.

Transition Layer
8th Jun 2017, 11:13
Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like a guy who started a week ago just got awarded an F/O 737 Perth spot. Is that a record? Start date next roster too so won't even pick up an A330 manual, haha

maggot
8th Jun 2017, 13:59
And newish recruits with an a380 so transfer
Very niiice

Keg
8th Jun 2017, 14:25
14 A380 S/O slots to those who have joined since August last year. I think a half dozen to the 744 too.

thefly1
17th Jun 2017, 03:20
The reasons are irrelevant.:zzz:

The fact is that not everyone has the same idea of an ideal life or career and some Jetstar Captains may wish to take advantage of the MOU.;)

So how many of those JQ guys went over to the 737 and A380?

Tankengine
17th Jun 2017, 09:16

I don't know or care. ;)
However the ability to do it should be there, as per the MOU.

SixDemonBag
17th Jun 2017, 12:09
1 I think. 380 s/o

goodonyamate
17th Jun 2017, 21:58
Once on the mainline list in an MOU spot, is the pilot eligible to bid for any vacancy? Or do they see out the term of the MOU as a 380 SO, and can only bid if they resign from JQ?

*Lancer*
18th Jun 2017, 16:28
JQ pilots under QF MOU can bid for any vacancy with no change to their fixed term.

goodonyamate
18th Jun 2017, 23:08
JQ pilots under QF MOU can bid for any vacancy with no change to their fixed term.

Thanks lancer. Is there an initial freeze period? E.g. The 380 SO position could already get PER 330.

*Lancer*
19th Jun 2017, 16:34
No initial freeze period. Recent intakes have been awarded 380SO and 737FO transfers within their first 6 months.

Beer Baron
20th Jun 2017, 00:31
I guess the only restriction would be the return of service limitation. If you can't serve 2 years on the new type then the company can choose not to award you the position. May mean a decision on whether to stay at QF or return to JQ would need to be brought forward before being awarded the slot.

aussietomcat
24th Jun 2017, 08:06
Just completed my medical and X reference check..... do they send you to the shrink before or after the medical? Also, was there any rejection after the " the all done " lately ?

Cheers guys

baron_58
29th Jun 2017, 07:47
Finally been given my chance to interview. Who do people recommend when it comes to interview coaching?? Pinstripe or Flightdeck???

V-Jet
29th Jun 2017, 09:53
Finally been given my chance to interview. Who do people recommend when it comes to interview coaching?? Pinstripe or Flightdeck???

Joseph Goebbels would be my first choice. And that is not entirely a joke...

Keg
1st Jul 2017, 04:23
Yep. I vaguely recall hearing 12 (or maybe 22?) on the 744 and possibly even some on the A380. Foreseeable and predicted when negotiating EBA8.

SandyPalms
1st Jul 2017, 04:36
Apologies Keg. I amended my post.

Looks like the Day One Lottery (beyond the A330 and 787) is Back. Good luck to those who win.

A320 Flyer
1st Jul 2017, 06:57
Any news on upcoming courses for those on the hold file. What dates have they got planned...?

Keg
1st Jul 2017, 07:40
25 Jul, 22 Aug, 19 Sep. Every 4 weeks for the foreseeable future.

theheadmaster
1st Jul 2017, 14:56
Foreseeable and predicted when negotiating EBA8.

Do you mean EBA9? Predicted by whom, AIPA or Qantas ;)

Keg
1st Jul 2017, 21:20
Oops. Yeah. EBA9. :ok:

Predicted by every one line driver that I ever spoke to about the EBA and day one lottery! :} I suspect that AIPA probably called it also.

Wobby
1st Jul 2017, 22:53
The "low time" path via Qlink has started the rounds again!!

_gazelle_
2nd Jul 2017, 02:18
Is the hold file ranked or are start dates allocated in order of interview?

mrdeux
2nd Jul 2017, 03:21
How times have changed.Greater than 40 years ago following initial correspondence with QF I was given a file number. I contacted them 9 years later with AirForce time under belt and was given in quick succession flight tests and two interviews. Interviews with MANAGEMENT CAPTAINS which could only be described as open, welcoming and friendly.Final question from panel chair "Do you have any requests?" Yes I answered "can you give me as much notice as possible?" Chair rang me next day and said I had a job, just let us know the earliest you can leave the RAAF.

You mean back in the days when they knew what they were doing....

Open Descent
3rd Jul 2017, 01:54
Is the hold file ranked or are start dates allocated in order of interview?

I asked one of the pilot interviewers that question during my assessment centre and without it being an official statement, he mentioned if you were deemed suitable to be placed on the hold file, then no further ranking would be applied.

Not withstanding, just curious to know how much time had passed since people had been notified of their hold file placement and being given a start date?

pinkpanther1
3rd Jul 2017, 02:37
I asked one of the pilot interviewers that question during my assessment centre and without it being an official statement, he mentioned if you were deemed suitable to be placed on the hold file, then no further ranking would be applied.

Not withstanding, just curious to know how much time had passed since people had been notified of their hold file placement and being given a start date?

Don't know if mainline is the same as Qlink. When I did my interview I was told the hold file was competitive. In other words you were ranked based on how you went in the interview and could actually be out ranked by someone who interviewed after you. Like I said however, that was link.

Keg
3rd Jul 2017, 03:25
Hello Keg, have you got any info on QLink and what they are doing with recruitment and course starts?

The QLink recruitment process? No knowledge whatsoever.

QLink people applying to mainline and when their course dates may be? My info on that is somewhat old (three months) so probably not current.

goose1
3rd Jul 2017, 14:20
Re hold file
As applicants are processed, those suitable are placed in hold file.
When a course is planned, they pick 8 or so from the top of hold file.
Your score ( for position in hold file is determined during the application process).
So, your position in hold file will move depending on the scores of those next assessed as suitable to put in the hold file.
The above is what I have been told!

dragon man
3rd Jul 2017, 21:31
Was told yesterday that they want to increase the 737 and A330 flying by 10%. After I had picked myself off the ground and wiped the tears of laugher away I was wondering if they would random drug test management to see what they are smoking. They can barely Crew the aircraft now. Pilot with slots are held back, I heard of an FO doing command training whose allowances had been increased by three times. His simulators have gone to one every two weeks. The sausage machine is blocking up. Chickens are coming home to roost!!!!

CurtainTwitcher
4th Jul 2017, 00:24
dragon, your intel about the sausage machine & command training time is correct. Hadn't heard the proposed +10% increase in flying for those fleets, but that is an impossible number.

Just spoke to someone yesterday who has hit 950 hours on one of those fleets and won't be getting a roster next bid period. This only compounds the problem as it brings everyone else closer to a month without flying.

A collapse in ability to fly from Xmas seemed likely, however, other sources indicate it will occur by September. The source also indicated that the problem is so acute, that it will be raised at the next board meeting as it is going to start causing a hit to domestic profitability.

Warnings about this were sent from 2015... and ignored.

goodonyamate
4th Jul 2017, 02:40
Perhaps time to take a good look at the base structure, on the 737 at least. Inefficient patterns are a major issue.
And maybe a good hard look at the ongoing employment of whichever department refused to recruit earlier.

Looking at the sim timetables, there are quite a few vacant slots. Need more trainers....but there are no trainers to train the new trainers.......how to get out of this one?!

CurtainTwitcher
4th Jul 2017, 02:58
Perhaps time to take a good look at the base structure, on the 737 at least. Inefficient patterns are a major issue.

The one where they were going to save on overnights by increasing bases? Overnights have increased by 35% since they opened the last base...Micromanagement to the last cent.

Last week someone told me they were the only reserve left in the country!

Keg
4th Jul 2017, 06:16
Warnings about this were sent from 2015... and ignored.

Earlier. I think officially AIPA wrote to QF in 2015 but most 767 drivers at multiple meetings prior to the RIN being published in May 2014 were asking why they were being demoted when within two years of that occurring QF would be in a massive training upswing.

IsDon
4th Jul 2017, 06:39
Earlier. I think officially AIPA wrote to QF in 2015 but most 767 drivers at multiple meetings prior to the RIN being published in May 2014 were asking why they were being demoted when within two years of that occurring QF would be in a massive training upswing.

Further to what Keg has said, it was put to management that it would be a smart idea to train the whole 767 crew compliment onto the A330 in rank rather than demote the vast majority. To do so would create a short term surplus it's true, but would avoid the problems occurring now and forecast in early 2014. This has been done in the past as part of a RIN and is allowed for within the agreement.

My understanding is that the nudist changed the goalpost such that the above option was taken off the table when he showed it might cost more than his preferred option to demote everyone.

I guess we can only say we told you so.

maggot
4th Jul 2017, 13:28
"Transformation" budget and allocations ceased caring about efficiency for the RIN saga.

IsDon
4th Jul 2017, 14:36
"Transformation" budget and allocations ceased caring about efficiency for the RIN saga.

Penny wise pound foolish.

Not to mention the hit to morale and engagement that results when a professional bunch of aviators are demoted for no good reason, and against all common sense, when far better alternatives existed that would have saved millions in the medium term. The crewing issues occurring now and in the next couple of years will prove that.

Further, the amount of superfluous demotional training that had to be conducted since the 767 left us must have cost a fortune. Most of those affected will be leaving these demotional positions in the forthcoming round of training. Yours truly included.

B787 for me in December.

VHFRT
7th Jul 2017, 10:22
Did anyone find somewhere near Sydney Airport who will sign the water competency assessment form? Sounds like a fun activity to complete in the middle of winter!

stillcallozhome
11th Jul 2017, 03:32
Hi Keg,

Do you know if they are still going through applications? Haven't gotten a yes or a no since doing the initial psych and video stage. Was told in March that I was still under consideration.

Thanks in advance.

SCOH

Capt Fathom
11th Jul 2017, 07:56
That would be Mr. Keg to you guys and girls after info on Qantas.:E

IsDon
11th Jul 2017, 08:45

Captain Keg even. :ok:

FogBuster
11th Jul 2017, 15:39
Hi Keg,

Do you know if they are still going through applications? Haven't gotten a yes or a no since doing the initial psych and video stage. Was told in March that I was still under consideration.

Thanks in advance.

SCOH

If they haven't opened up applications again then they likely haven't finished going through the last round. Either sit tight or email them about it.

stillcallozhome
12th Jul 2017, 00:37
If they haven't opened up applications again then they likely haven't finished going through the last round. Either sit tight or email them about it.

Thanks Fog. Emailed them a few months ago so I'll sit tight. Was just hoping for inside knowledge that could confirm one way or another to help me decide whether I needed to email again - just in case I was lost in the system.

Cheers.

SCOH

ACMS
12th Jul 2017, 04:14
Are Qantas and Cathay run by the same bunch of managers?

Sounds similar to me....

273Kelvin
12th Jul 2017, 10:09
Thanks Fog. Emailed them a few months ago so I'll sit tight. Was just hoping for inside knowledge that could confirm one way or another to help me decide whether I needed to email again - just in case I was lost in the system.

Cheers.

SCOH
If it helps I emailed them about 1month ago in the same scenario. The response suggested:

"We are currently planning our assessment days for the rest of the year and should be in touch with an update soon."

stillcallozhome
13th Jul 2017, 00:14
If it helps I emailed them about 1month ago in the same scenario. The response suggested:

"We are currently planning our assessment days for the rest of the year and should be in touch with an update soon."

Thanks very much. I'll sit tight.

Cheers

SCOH

Keg
13th Jul 2017, 07:33

Captain Keg even. :ok:

Lol. Given some of the names I've been called over the years- including here on PPRUNE at times- 'Keg' is perfectly fine by me. :ok:

I'll send you a PM stillcallozhome.

seneca208
13th Jul 2017, 08:09
Out of interest, are the requirements for internal QF group applicants the same as externals?

dragon man
17th Jul 2017, 06:17
Out of interest, are the requirements for internal QF group applicants the same as externals?

Here's a good rumour I picked up today. They are so stretched for training capacity that they are considering parking some 747s because of lack of crew. A 380 Captain I know of has had a simulator session cancelled 4 times due lack of a support pilot. The wheels are coming off!!!!

crosscutter
17th Jul 2017, 07:32
Here's a good rumour I picked up today. They are so stretched for training capacity that they are considering parking some 747s because of lack of crew. A 380 Captain I know of has had a simulator session cancelled 4 times due lack of a support pilot. The wheels are coming off!!!!

I believe the A380 sim has been offline causing disruption. 747 is running just fine but yes it is busy. 737 training has all but been put on hold to complete the current backlog and to train TRE/TRI. The airforce is being looked at to complete some training...so are the wheels falling off? Probably not... but the current training year slot allocations are probably very optimistic and allocations and crewing are fire fighting. What else did anyone expect? At least the execs got their 15/16 and 16/17 bonuses huh.

maggot
17th Jul 2017, 08:23
Wheels long off 737 training

dragon man
17th Jul 2017, 08:27
Wheels long off 737 training

Wheels off all training and all fleets IMO.

A320 Flyer
25th Jul 2017, 04:35
Any information on aircraft type courses between now and the end of the year?

Keg
25th Jul 2017, 05:07
22 started today. 8 787, 8 330, 6 744.

I think no one on the 787 or 330 for the August course to clear a bit of backlog but I think a few on the 744 and A380.

After that, back to 8 per month on the 787 and A330 with a trickle on the 744 and 380 also likely.

Stationair8
25th Jul 2017, 05:54
Hopefully those starting day, have a long and enjoyable flying career with Qantas.

Transition Layer
25th Jul 2017, 12:34
22 on the same day...is that a record? :eek: :D

273Kelvin
26th Jul 2017, 00:24
22 started today. 8 787, 8 330, 6 744.

I think no one on the 787 or 330 for the August course to clear a bit of backlog but I think a few on the 744 and A380.

After that, back to 8 per month on the 787 and A330 with a trickle on the 744 and 380 also likely.

This pleases me, hopefully it results in a few more assessment days for those of us in the "no news is the best news" bandwagon.

IsDon
26th Jul 2017, 23:01
I think HR, or talent acquisition as they like to be known these days, :rolleyes: are suffering under the "knowledge is power" delusion. Don't expect to be told anything until they absolutely have to tell you. To do so would relinquish some of this perceived power.

A look back through this thread from the scores of keen as mustard guys and girls waiting to hear how they are progressing through the process, and willing to use PPRuNe as a resource to get that information, shows a great example of motivation and lateral thinking I would think. People who want to be engaged with the process and with Qantas in general. I would see that as a positive for the individuals concerned. It seems HR don't see it that way.

Rumour has it that contributors from the company side of things to this forum have been told to stop contributing. HR sees this as a leak of information that must be stopped. They see this leak as a reduction of their power over the process and that is not to be tolerated. What a poor pathetic excuse for human beings these supposedly human experts are. Welcome to the Qantas process.

Now I would have thought keeping people on hold files or going through the process would be in the company's interest. People are more likely to stick with it if they know exactly how many courses are starting, now and in the near future. If they know where they sit on the hold file and what the next stage is likely to be, and approximately when, they'll be less likely to be lost to the sand pit or a Chinese carrier before Qantas can take advantage of their skill set. Now I know daily updates for every individual going through the process is too much to ask, but what's wrong with a daily blog from the recruitment team that people can refer to. The information is common knowledge within the company and is of no value to our competitors from a corporate standpoint, so why the big secret? I'm sure our competitors know exactly what our plans are in more detail than us mere line drivers anyway. Maybe a weekly, or even monthly, email update from the company to those going through the process so those individuals can make important life decisions with the correct information. Even to know they haven't just been lost in the system because some asset lost their file, or inadvertently hit the delete button while they were concentrating on updateing their Facebook status.

Please don't be discouraged. Once you get past the gate keepers it is a great job for a company that is going through an exiting phase. I live in hope that, one day, these HR twats will be shown up for what they really are. Power hungry parasites that contribute nothing to the company bottom line, and in the process do very real damage to their host. I hope that one day those of us that actually do contribute to the core business will have more say in how our company ticks. What an exciting time that would be.

I know, tell him he's dreamin'.

SandyPalms
26th Jul 2017, 23:09
Not sure if the number is a record, but it is the first time pilots have been allocated Perth as their initial base.

AirBoing
4th Aug 2017, 04:38
If I have a Bachelor of Aviation, will I have a good chance of being recruited?

A320 Flyer
7th Aug 2017, 06:29
What's the word on aircraft type for the October course?

Loopa12
7th Aug 2017, 06:46
G'day all

Can someone let me know if October and November start dates been allocated yet?
And if not, when they might be....

Thanks

maggot
7th Aug 2017, 07:45
A chance of anything from a380-737 I'd say! Probably not the 330 atm its quite over crewed (s/o rank only obv)

A320 Flyer
7th Aug 2017, 16:12
Thanks... exciting times.

As for Oct & Nov start dates October definitely and I've heard of people allocated December so I guess November has been too.

Fonz121
7th Aug 2017, 23:11
Start dates have been given up until December 2018 for internals.

SixDemonBag
8th Aug 2017, 00:08
Word is that 22 per course will more the norm rather than the exception next year

normanton
8th Aug 2017, 00:19
Loopa12,

The course dates are completely full until the end of the year.

Open Descent
8th Aug 2017, 02:54
If courses are full until the end of the year, how long before each course commences are fleet types and bases made known?

Loopa12
8th Aug 2017, 03:29
Thanks for the info.

If courses are full until the end of the year, is it safe to say that all people allocated to those courses have been notified? Or will they be notified nearer the start date of their course?

(Talking external hires).

engine out
8th Aug 2017, 05:57
I think course dates are issued about six weeks prior to start, though can be earlier if you need to give notice to current employer (though this is only an indication and nothing definite). It used to be about a weeks notice.

AirBoing
9th Aug 2017, 03:57
Boing:

I have a Masters in GA Sh1tkicking and I got the nod!

LOL thanks boeinginthewest, I'm still studying but hopefully will work for Qantas one day!

Open Descent
16th Aug 2017, 02:02
Earlier in the year I got the "no thanks" email after the initial psych and video interview. However, today I got an email inviting me to attend the assessment day in Sydney. Anyone else in the same boat?
Happy Days!!

Good luck mate

josephfeatherweight
16th Aug 2017, 03:21
Earlier in the year I got the "no thanks" email after the initial psych and video interview. However, today I got an email inviting me to attend the assessment day in Sydney. Anyone else in the same boat?
I sincerely hope it's not an administration error - as has happened with Qantaslink and the likes of late!
My fingers are crossed for you - good luck!

QuarterInchSocket
16th Aug 2017, 09:03
I think HR, or talent acquisition as they like to be known these days, :rolleyes: are suffering under the "knowledge is power" delusion. Don't expect to be told anything until they absolutely have to tell you. To do so would relinquish some of this perceived power.

A look back through this thread from the scores of keen as mustard guys and girls waiting to hear how they are progressing through the process, and willing to use PPRuNe as a resource to get that information, shows a great example of motivation and lateral thinking I would think. People who want to be engaged with the process and with Qantas in general. I would see that as a positive for the individuals concerned. It seems HR don't see it that way.

Rumour has it that contributors from the company side of things to this forum have been told to stop contributing. HR sees this as a leak of information that must be stopped. They see this leak as a reduction of their power over the process and that is not to be tolerated. What a poor pathetic excuse for human beings these supposedly human experts are. Welcome to the Qantas process.

Now I would have thought keeping people on hold files or going through the process would be in the company's interest. People are more likely to stick with it if they know exactly how many courses are starting, now and in the near future. If they know where they sit on the hold file and what the next stage is likely to be, and approximately when, they'll be less likely to be lost to the sand pit or a Chinese carrier before Qantas can take advantage of their skill set. Now I know daily updates for every individual going through the process is too much to ask, but what's wrong with a daily blog from the recruitment team that people can refer to. The information is common knowledge within the company and is of no value to our competitors from a corporate standpoint, so why the big secret? I'm sure our competitors know exactly what our plans are in more detail than us mere line drivers anyway. Maybe a weekly, or even monthly, email update from the company to those going through the process so those individuals can make important life decisions with the correct information. Even to know they haven't just been lost in the system because some asset lost their file, or inadvertently hit the delete button while they were concentrating on updateing their Facebook status.

Please don't be discouraged. Once you get past the gate keepers it is a great job for a company that is going through an exiting phase. I live in hope that, one day, these HR twats will be shown up for what they really are. Power hungry parasites that contribute nothing to the company bottom line, and in the process do very real damage to their host. I hope that one day those of us that actually do contribute to the core business will have more say in how our company ticks. What an exciting time that would be.

I know, tell him he's dreamin'.
This post! :D

Agree 1000x over and sad to see that the experience in flight ops is universally experienced at engineering; probably other depts too.

Great post.

Sunstrand
18th Aug 2017, 03:51
Same thing is happening on the Jetstar hold file. No one is hearing any information and people are already leaving for other carriers.

SandyPalms
28th Aug 2017, 04:20

What's happening here? I hear the one JQ person has been knocked back as the MOU only covers Capt and FO positions. True?

maggot
28th Aug 2017, 04:23
What's happening here? I hear the one JQ person has been knocked back as the MOU only covers Capt and FO positions. True?

Heard that also, on hold at least. Wasnt envisioned at the time of writing the MOU that that would be desirable... like most of the MOU, ill conceived despite the best intentions

FlareHighLandLong
15th Sep 2017, 07:03
*nudge*.

I'm hearing start dates through the rest of this year are blowing out with reductions in course sizes. Can anyone in the know confirm if this is the case?

Also heard most if not all will be heading to the 787.

IsDon
15th Sep 2017, 09:32
The Qantas 787 sim will be online in Sydney at the end of November.

Only guessing, but that may be accounting for the delay in courses. Obviously better to do the sim training in house.

Tankengine
15th Sep 2017, 10:44
*nudge*.

I'm hearing start dates through the rest of this year are blowing out with reductions in course sizes. Can anyone in the know confirm if this is the case?

Also heard most if not all will be heading to the 787.

Heading to the 787 has always been the plan for new hires once the initial 330 backlog has been filled.

Aviatrix91
15th Sep 2017, 11:50
From the horses mouth a week ago, primarily recruiting for both the 787 and 330 with still a couple of slots available on the 380 and 747. People going through interviews now were told to expect start date in march.

IsDon
16th Sep 2017, 03:19
I have it from a very good source that the Human Refuse (HR) department, or do they call themselves Total Arseholes (TA) these days? I can't keep up. Have their spies out.

As I alluded to before, the "knowledge is power" wankers see this thread as an erosion of their power base. They are actively following this thread in order to punish anyone seen using this thread as an information source.

If you do post here, ensure you're not giving away anything that can give away your identity. Innocent questions from those with interviews or hoping for them could see your application binned thanks to the spiteful attitudes of these pin headed bureaucrats.

If you have an interview, don't give away the date. Change your profile email address to an anonymous one. Use a VPN.

You shouldn't have to, as seeking information from any resource should be seen as a positive, but not when you're dealing with these human skid marks.

strim
16th Sep 2017, 07:19
So members of the recruitment team are logging on to prune, doing IP traces, matching email addresses with all candidates in order to catch out a few that might ask a question on here, then ruling them out of contention?

Did you get knocked back?

coaldemon
16th Sep 2017, 07:23
What a load of g%$bage

SixDemonBag
16th Sep 2017, 09:37
https://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

bafanguy
16th Sep 2017, 10:01
I have it from a very good source that the Human Refuse (HR) department... Have their spies out.

If a non-participant may add a comment, there's every reason to believe that airline HR departments DO monitor social media. It's a new era, privacy is an illusion and there's an excellent chance that airline HR departments monitor popular sites like Facebook, pprune, etc. There is a HUGE supply of pilots ( Up Here and Down There) and HR folks are looking for ways to cull the herd.

You probably won't want to read all of it but this thread was started by a guy with VERY close ties to Delta HR and likely knows what he's talking about. DL is hiring by the thousands...and is still thinning the herd for the slightest misstep no matter where they can find it. At least read the last 5 pages or so with reference to people's reactions on DL's pilot employment Facebook page and Derg's comments thereon.

It's a new world, folks. Don't help them stop you before you even get started:

https://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/in-house-delta-job-fair-october-20-21-2017.252866/

IsDon
16th Sep 2017, 10:17
So members of the recruitment team are logging on to prune, doing IP traces, matching email addresses with all candidates in order to catch out a few that might ask a question on here, then ruling them out of contention?

That's exactly what they're doing.

Did you get knocked back?

No. I'm a current Qantas pilot. Just trying to look after those trying to get past the gate keepers.

IsDon
16th Sep 2017, 10:17
What a load of g%$bage

If you say so.

IsDon
16th Sep 2017, 10:18
https://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

Then don't. Go ahead and see what happens. Don't say you weren't warned.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
16th Sep 2017, 10:22
No. I'm a current Qantas pilot.

Maybe best not to keep calling QF HR arseholes and wankers on social media, if you want to remain one?

ruprecht
16th Sep 2017, 11:30
QF HR are the finest of individuals who are constantly overlooked in both the New Years' and Queen's Birthday honours lists. Their tireless devotion to duty is often under-appreciated by the common QF pilot.

I, however, would like to personally thank all the brave women and women who work in HR, who toil endlessly to keep the QF machine rolling smoothly forward.

If they were to use these forums to fast track my 330 FO slot, then who could blame them... :E

ruprecht

Nick_F
16th Sep 2017, 18:04
Guys I got through the QF process really easily and started with them about a month ago. PM me if anyone has any questions about the interview process and also starting out with them. Happy to help.

bolthead
17th Sep 2017, 04:41
IsDon No doubt these management people would have a list of university degrees longer than your arm - you know, the really useful ones, so the end result is they would battle to organise a chook raffle.
But they are the smartest people in the room. So get with the program.

smiling monkey
18th Sep 2017, 04:32
Guys I got through the QF process really easily and started with them about a month ago. PM me if anyone has any questions about the interview process and also starting out with them. Happy to help.

It would help if you turned on your PM. :)

Dark Knight
18th Sep 2017, 04:58
[QUOTE][/There is a HUGE supply of pilots ( Up Here and Down There)QUOTE]

If you care to check out Boeing, Airbus and CAE the world is going to require 620,000 flight crew by the year 2030.

The Co-pilots required by 2027 have not yet started to learn to fly.

Good luck to the `clerks' in HR with the search and or culling.

Lookleft
18th Sep 2017, 09:37
The Qantas CP has been accessing PPrune through his PA since 2002 as far as I am aware so any potential candidates would do well to heed the words of IsDon. The co-pilots of 2027 won't be starting flying until 2025 on cadet courses, thats how HR will get around the problem. Lots of glossy PR about how great it is to fly 1000 hours a year and see the world (they won't mention that it will be from the inside of a hotel room on your 36 hour layover).

goodonyamate
18th Sep 2017, 21:18
Lots of glossy PR about how great it is to fly 1000 hours a year and see the world (they won't mention that it will be from the inside of a hotel room on your 36 hour layover).

36 hrs?:D That will be called an 'extended layover' by then. :p

maggot
19th Sep 2017, 00:41
767 isnt glass?

Probably had nothing to do with most likely they were just unlucky with the HR crap shoot. As you said already working at a major and accepted by another - all signs point to a meddling department.
Plus no recruitment dept is perfect. Good luck to em

Sunfish
19th Sep 2017, 01:22
IsDon is correct, however ALL HR departments and recruitment consultants these days are doing the same thing - they want to build your "social media/internet profile" and they use every tool they can to do this. There are also a host of new start up companies that specialise in trawling through the internet looking for your traces. They trawl through stuff like linked-in etc.

Examples of what not to do:

Have a pornographic email address.

Post anything to a website that could be regarded by ANYONE as extremist or bizarre (I once inherited an employee whose hobby was morris dancing seriously).

Let your hair down on your facebook page about what you did last night.

Post any opinion that could characterise you as angry, unbalanced, depressed, fixated or aggrieved.

Post anything that is not politically correct starting with admitting to not voting yes to SSM, being skeptical about climate change or confessing you think Pauline Hanson is sexy.

Trash your current or former employer on any website.

Please note that HR do not have a sense of humour. Please note that your mildly ingenious method of hiding your identity will not work either.

Ideally your profile should show absolute loyalty to you former employers, plain vanilla political and social attitudes, charity, chastity, prudence and similar virtues.

zanthrus
19th Sep 2017, 03:18
At this point I don't give a flying f&ck whether HR reads my social media or what they think of it.
I have had a gut full of their BS.

ruprecht
19th Sep 2017, 04:38
... that could characterise you as angry, unbalanced, depressed, fixated or aggrieved.

Yep, wait until you're halfway across the Pacific before unleashing that stuff. :eek:

I read that someone is suggesting a "rainbow roo" pin that staff can wear at work...

maggot
19th Sep 2017, 04:43
Id wear one, just to wind up the old farts and riffraaf

ruprecht
19th Sep 2017, 04:50
Id wear one, just to wind up the old farts and riffraaf

Just as long as that was not all you wore... :ooh:

Iron Bar
19th Sep 2017, 06:26
R'

We can't stop here, this is bat country .....

Angle of Attack
19th Sep 2017, 07:20
OK , maybe I'm an old fart Sunfish but what is a pornographic email address? an email that contains explicit words?

bafanguy
19th Sep 2017, 10:10
[QUOTE][/There is a HUGE supply of pilots ( Up Here and Down There)QUOTE]

If you care to check out Boeing, Airbus and CAE the world is going to require 620,000 flight crew by the year 2030.

DK,

Yep...seen 'em all.