PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Recruitment

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

neville_nobody
22nd Dec 2016, 23:49
why is me explaining my beliefs and why I disagree with the other person such a heinous crime?

Because on a fundamental level most pilots are insecure about themselves and you are probably presenting a point of view that is in direct opposition to their own. I don't know why this is a common trait across aviation but it is unfortunately.

Maybe its one of the reasons QF have introduced a interview with a pysch for some candidates now!

IsDon
23rd Dec 2016, 01:07
Because on a fundamental level most pilots are insecure about themselves and you are probably presenting a point of view that is in direct opposition to their own. I don't know why this is a common trait across aviation but it is unfortunately.

Maybe its one of the reasons QF have introduced a interview with a pysch for some candidates now!

Most. But not all.

Some are quite happy arguing their point of view, sometimes quite stridently, without fear of that argument affecting their work relationships, or indeed friendships.

:ok:

Sadly, the psych testing and HR interference is more likely to produce more of those insecure types that are yes men in public and hide behind a nom de plume to take cheap shots and throw insults. .

Lookleft
23rd Dec 2016, 02:34
Well done Keg on standing up to an attempt at bullying you into silence. It would not have been easy putting all the personal details in the public domain. Let's hope those who post their bile and vitriol will now put up or shut up. Best Wishes for Christmas to you and your family.:ok:

Jetsbest
23rd Dec 2016, 03:34
Well said! Respect. :ok:

OM4
23rd Dec 2016, 03:41
Keg,

You can be my wingman anytime!

Capt Fathom
23rd Dec 2016, 04:02
You guys should get a room. :E

The Green Goblin
23rd Dec 2016, 06:41
Always respected the keg.

Keep on keeping on.

C441
23rd Dec 2016, 07:38
Always respected the keg.

Seriously????

I've never met a "nuggetty little rover" I could trust….....except Keg!! :ok:

SandyPalms
27th Dec 2016, 22:51
QF published a Flight Standing Order, advertising 10 737 Commands in PER with training to start in February, but no 737 FO positions (those asked at the interview if they would go to Perth, and said yes, may be the next to be hired I suspect). I hear it was all very rushed.
Something about to happen on the 737 in Perth?

maggot
28th Dec 2016, 00:58
Probably just nore 'base balancing' on the way. All legit nothing to see here.

Transition Layer
28th Dec 2016, 03:43
maggot,

What's in it for the company to create positions in Perth and then base balance to the East Coast? Why wouldn't they just make the positions on the East Coast to begin with?

My personal belief is that the A330 will almost entirely disappear from East-West flying and be re-deployed internationally. Maybe one or two flights in the morning and afternoon peak each day will stay, but other than that it will be 737s, meaning plenty of flying ex Perth. Virgin are doing the same with their A330s once they start China and Abu Dhabi.

The rumours of more international flying ex Perth for the 737 was floating around a while back too, that could be the other reason.

Jetsbest
28th Dec 2016, 03:59
..... it's "front-loading" the Perth base in preparation for future 787 Europe ops?🤔

maggot
28th Dec 2016, 06:49
maggot,

What's in it for the company to create positions in Perth and then base balance to the East Coast? Why wouldn't they just make the positions on the East Coast to begin with?

My personal belief is that the A330 will almost entirely disappear from East-West flying and be re-deployed internationally. Maybe one or two flights in the morning and afternoon peak each day will stay, but other than that it will be 737s, meaning plenty of flying ex Perth. Virgin are doing the same with their A330s once they start China and Abu Dhabi.

The rumours of more international flying ex Perth for the 737 was floating around a while back too, that could be the other reason.

Firstly it was mostly a joke. Although it happens frequently enough that it begs the question - the base allocation staff are just trying to help the guys out for the most part, at least that was my experience... perth slots advertised heaps in the last few year but the base hasn't really grown, theyve just continually headed east.

Imo the 330 perth base should never have started. And the flying is all east then asia which is good for the company at 5:30.

Yeah i think some more int flying ex perth, but that is a big increase for the base size...

maggot
28th Dec 2016, 06:50
..... it's "front-loading" the Perth base in preparation for future 787 Europe ops?🤔

Qantas? Proactive?

engine out
28th Dec 2016, 08:46
Still haven't seen this FSO......yet

maggot
28th Dec 2016, 11:27
Still haven't seen this FSO......yet

On the terminal

oicur12.again
28th Dec 2016, 20:54
“Over the years I've listened to people talk about politics, economics, astronomy, Investing, renovations, relationships, marriage, death, refugees”

These are not beliefs, they are opinions about various real, tangible subjects whereas:

“discussing Christianity on the flight deck”

Is about a belief in sky fairies!

Captain Nomad
28th Dec 2016, 23:42
“discussing Christianity on the flight deck”

Is about a belief in sky fairies!

Sorry oicur but that can't go by without comment. With the risk of thread drift, I will mention just one point for you to consider - and especially relevant at 'Christmas' time: 'Christianity' involves belief in a historical figure of history, Jesus Christ. There is no question he existed in history (plenty of non-Biblical evidence). He was significant enough that for centuries history was marked as 'before Christ' and 'after Christ.'

Whether you believe he is what he claimed to be or not, he was certainly no sky fairy...

There is far to much political correctness these days and if people are so unsecure about their world view that they can't tolerate it coming up for discussion every now and then perhaps their comfort zone deserves to be challenged!

IsDon
29th Dec 2016, 00:20
Sorry oicur but that can't go by without comment. With the risk of thread drift, I will mention just one point for you to consider - and especially relevant at 'Christmas' time: 'Christianity' involves belief in a historical figure of history, Jesus Christ. There is no question he existed in history (plenty of non-Biblical evidence). He was significant enough that for centuries history was marked as 'before Christ' and 'after Christ.'

Whether you believe he is what he claimed to be or not, he was certainly no sky fairy...

There is far to much political correctness these days and if people are so unsecure about their world view that they can't tolerate it coming up for discussion every now and then perhaps their comfort zone deserves to be challenged!

Well that's just nonsense.

That said, Keg and I had a robust discussion about this very topic on Qrewroom many years ago that went on for 15 pages and had close to 300 replies. Please don't let this thread drift away from its intended purpose.

If you want to defend your ideology then start your own thread. I'm certain those interested in Qantas recruitment are not in the least interested in a debate over whether fairies exist, or not.

Stationair8
29th Dec 2016, 00:32
Bless you my son, go forth and multiply!

Do Qantas have a preference for Catholics or Protestants these days?

itsnotthatbloodyhard
29th Dec 2016, 00:55
Bless you my son, go forth and multiply!

Do Qantas have a preference for Catholics or Protestants these days?

Neither. HR are the high priests at QF now, and their preference is for applicants who will, going forward, embrace diversity, empowerment and disruptive thinking, while reaching out holistically to perform a deep dive outside the box.

IsDon
29th Dec 2016, 01:39
Neither. HR are the high priests at QF now, and their preference is for applicants who will, going forward, embrace diversity, empowerment and disruptive thinking, while reaching out holistically to perform a deep dive outside the box.

Don't forget to mention the "stakeholders".

I hasten to add, I have no idea what a stakeholder is, maybe it's this guy?

FRQ Charlie Bravo
29th Dec 2016, 02:00
Shut it.

This banter is unbecoming of my profession.

FRQ

itsnotthatbloodyhard
29th Dec 2016, 04:38
Shut it.

This banter is unbecoming of my profession.

FRQ

First: "Shut it." Seriously? :rolleyes:

Second: Having spent over three decades in my profession, I don't need you to tell me what is or isn't becoming of it.

And finally: You might want to rethink your attitude. Being rude, pompous and arrogant won't actually help your QF application (contrary to what some might claim :) ), and if your last post is any indication, not many people are going to look forward to sharing a flight deck with you.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
29th Dec 2016, 07:27
Itsnot... et al,

Settle down and stop looking for a fight where a fight doesn't exist please.

My comment is directed broadly towards the trivial bickering going on about religion and unnecessary personal attacks against PPRuNers.

Your little joke about HR bring the high priests was actually funny and not unbecoming.

Dammit, I am now responsible for another irrelevant post encouraging the ridiculous thread drift.

Methinks everybody needs to put some salt in everything they hear and some sugar in everything they say.

(I'm reminded of the Carly Simon sing that wasn't about that guy... except that it was when she started singing "I bet you think this song is about you, don't you...")

No more thread drifts please.

Edit: I think I'm quite good company in the flight deck! My mum says I'm cool!

Ida down
31st Dec 2016, 11:36
So all Jetstar pilots (and I assume all other group pilots) have just received a link for Expressions of Interest for Mainline jobs. I guess that Qantas must have worked their way through current holders of a Letter of Intent. Seems the recruitment wheels are moving slowly but surely.
The kids filed them in the " you have to be kidding basket" You want us to give up driving the B787, just to drive the B737 around the paddock, and get a white hat? Inya dreams.

watermellon
1st Jan 2017, 00:05
Internal recruitment looks to be continuing with people from Cobham, Network and Qlink having assessment dates but no one from JQ.

BlackPrince77
1st Jan 2017, 06:58
Funny if they're actually holding Jetstar applicants back, I mean is that even legal? I would have thought it'd be a form of discrimination?

I'm assuming they're putting through external people to assessment days, but i haven't heard of any JQ's getting them yet.

Icarus2001
1st Jan 2017, 07:17
I would have thought it'd be a form of discrimination?

Selecting people to employ is THE definition of discrimination. That is how it works.

Icarus2001
2nd Jan 2017, 01:36
not on the basis of current employer Well isn't your current employer part of your experience?

At the end of the day they will take who they want and it is not "illegal" discrimination as defined in the Act.

Unfortunately in our enlightened western liberal democracy an employer has their hands tied. Eg. You own a small business and want a receptionist, you know you want a young lady but thanks to our current legislation you cannot state that in the advert. So lots of people apply including young men (or old ex pilots) who have simply wasted their time because you were never going to employ them anyway. Now we could debate whether this is "wrong" ad nauseum but it would not change anything.

When Kendell, Hazelton and Skywest became part of the Ansett group I believe there was tacit agreement of no poaching. Is that ilegal? No. Even if it was could you prove it? No.

Q will take who they want when they want from where they want. Of course they will not want to create two training slots by taking from "in house" but they still do so occasionally.

mattyj
2nd Jan 2017, 02:15
I once went to an interview where the panel members told me "we're unlikely to hire you based on the previous two pilots we hired from your current employer "

coaldemon
2nd Jan 2017, 02:41
Then they should never have been allowed to interview anyone. Hopeless approach to interviewing keen candidates for positions.

mcgrath50
2nd Jan 2017, 12:27
you know you want a young lady but thanks to our current legislation you cannot state that in the advert.

Why do you only want a young lady to the exclusion of any men or an old lady?

oicur12.again
2nd Jan 2017, 17:49
"Funny if they're actually holding Jetstar applicants back, I mean is that even legal?"

No, its not legal.

OM4
2nd Jan 2017, 19:10
Looks to me as most people on here couldn't care less they are holding back Jetstar pilots. That is of course unless you are a jetstar pilot. Whether it's legal or not, it is wrong. Has it been done before? Sure. Will it be done again? You bet. But it does not change it from being wrong and unethical.
In times of large scale recruitment being held back months can make many years difference down the line for your career, getting that command or that east Coast base you want.
Jetstar clearly have their pilots numbers ridiculously short. As a result a lot of pilots at Jetstar hoping to make a career change into qantas will be affected. They either have the choice of jumping on the back of the que in qantas or staying at Jetstar. It's the individuals decision based on their age, their want to change jobs, family life etc etc.

Fatguyinalittlecoat
2nd Jan 2017, 20:05
Maybe QF don't want to "pollute the culture" :) we know how important that was to Jetstar.
It's about rich talking about ethics.

Maybe the Jetstar applicants are not as competitive as they think. Its a big world out there, and over 1000 applications were submitted. Sit on your hands, if QF want you, you will get in. Stop worrying about seniority.

Beer Baron
2nd Jan 2017, 21:04
"Funny if they're actually holding Jetstar applicants back, I mean is that even legal?"

No, its not legal.

You say that with an air of authority but do you actually know that to be the case?

Given Jetstar is 100% owned and operated by the Qantas group, would a job in mainline not be considered an internal transfer? As such, surely an employer is not legally bound to offer a promotion/transfer to an employee even if it may damage the operations of the business unit the employee would be leaving?

I don't know the correct answer to those questions with any certainty but I'd be interested if you could point to the legislation that shows it's illegal.

oicur12.again
2nd Jan 2017, 22:13
".....do you actually know that to be the case?"

Yes.

"....would a job in mainline not be considered an internal transfer?"

No.

".....could point to the legislation that shows it's illegal."

Yes, but not going to spend the time to do it. Australian employment law is very strict and reasonably clear.

But that doesnt stop the corporatocracy from doing exactly what they want to.

FutureFO
2nd Jan 2017, 22:17
Not knowing the legal side of Aviation internal and external applicants policy.

I know many large companies have an equal opportunity policy which allows all internal and external applicants the chance to be interviewed and you can not be discriminated against if you are in either category... That being said I and others have been offered the job and told "we have an obligation to seek external applicants still, stdby"

Assume it's no different in Qantas, on paper at least..

Icarus2001
3rd Jan 2017, 00:39
Why do you only want a young lady to the exclusion of any men or an old lady?Point nicely missed. It does not matter WHY an employer may want this, that is their prerogative. The legislation is window dressing that wastes peoples time.

Derfred
3rd Jan 2017, 04:02

No, its not legal.
I, too, would appreciate being shown the evidence behind this opinion.

It certainly seems legal under workplace discrimination legislation.

The following are protected attributes:

race
colour
sex
sexual orientation
marital status
family or carer's responsibilities
pregnancy
religion
political opinion
national extraction
social origin

Note that "current employer" or "internal applicant" is not on the list.

Neither for that matter is "nepotism".

Even if the Company went so far as to send a letter stating "Sorry, we are not considering internal applicants at this time", I suspect that would be perfectly legal.

Employment based purely on merit is generally regarded as a good thing, yes (the "fair go" principle). But as far as I know, the private sector has no legal obligation provided they comply with the discrimination legislation.

The public sector is different. They have their own rules.

Beer Baron
4th Jan 2017, 01:51
Yeah I'm with you Derfred, still not convinced it would be illegal (if it's even happening) and statements like "I'm right but can't be bothered proving it" don't cut it for me.

Especially as we are not talking about an employer refusing an employee a transfer/promotion but simply delaying said transfer/promotion to a point in time that would not unduly damage the business's operation. I'd be stunned if the law would force an employer to take that imposition because an employee didn't want to have to wait.

Aussie Fo
4th Jan 2017, 02:08
Perhaps it's because they don't want "the Jetstar mentality polluting the Qantas culture"

Ok I am joking slightly as it's rumoured that that was what AJ said in the beginning of Jetstar, but it does has some truism to it.

Perhaps some of the applicants weren't what QF were looking for. Hell there are more than a few QF pilots Qantas they wish they didn't take.

Perhaps some applicants they deemed weren't suited to the time as being a SO. Especially since history shows Qantas usually hangs the SO out to dry in a incident.

Perhaps there were just other applicants higher up the waitlist especially considering the number that applied.

Either way, Qantas is a good job, but it's not the end of the world if you don't make it and there is no saying one won't in years to come. There has always been people who don't get in who we all believe should. The system is not perfect. The grass may be pretty green here right now, but the possibility of another drought? Well it is summer after all

Iron Bar
4th Jan 2017, 03:06
Derfred has part of it, the more relevant section might be S342 Adverse Action. But you would need
to speak with your favorite bush lawyer. This sort of IR behavior would be hard to prove ...

Fair Work Act

Meaning of Adverse Action

- a prospective employer against a prospective
employee

the prospective employer:

(a) refuses to employ the prospective employee;
or
(b) discriminates against the prospective employee in the terms or conditions on which the prospective employer offers to employ the prospective employee.

C441
4th Jan 2017, 03:37
Especially since history shows Qantas usually hangs the SO out to dry in a incident.

They do? Which incidents were they?

keepitrealok
4th Jan 2017, 04:30
Quote:
Especially since history shows Qantas usually hangs the SO out to dry in a incident.

They do? Which incidents were they?

QF1 - "If the SO had done his job it would never have occurred." Quote unquote from a Mahogany Roader.

Perth -JNB 747 air turn back due to the E1/2 manuals not being loaded. SO lost staff travel rights (not sure what else), Capt/FO - nothing. SO quit and left for CX.

That's 2 straight off the bat. There are more.

ruprecht
4th Jan 2017, 05:22
QF1 - "If the SO had done his job it would never have occurred." Quote unquote from a Mahogany Roader.

Perth -JNB 747 air turn back due to the E1/2 manuals not being loaded. SO lost staff travel rights (not sure what else), Capt/FO - nothing. SO quit and left for CX.

That's 2 straight off the bat. There are more.

The power the SO yields when they're not even at the controls is quite astounding... :rolleyes:

mcgrath50
4th Jan 2017, 05:27
It does not matter WHY an employer may want this, that is their prerogative.

It's not their prerogative, to limit a position to only women (or whites, black, straights, gays whatever), IS discrimination. It does not matter why they want this, they CANNOT do this.

Icarus2001
4th Jan 2017, 05:41
Of course not. That is not what I said and you know that. My point was if an employer wants a female or male that is who they will employ. No law can and will stop that, it merely wastes everyone's time. McGrath you seem to type angry. Are you saying an employer cannot decide to employ a male or female at their choice?

Here is an example. I went for dinner in the CBD on Saturday night to a Malaysian restaurant. I counted five floor staff and at least four in the open kitchen. How many do you think were of anglo-saxon extraction and how many asian? Zero anglo. Try explaining that if someone brought a case.

There are rights under Australian law but they only mean anything if you can exercise them.

SonofCoco
4th Jan 2017, 08:41
Happy new year all!

Does anyone know whether the HR department is back in the office and working through the current applicants?

I know the email sent in December said they'd be shutting down for dec and Jan, but I find that difficult to believe given the volume of work they said was coming in at the assessment day.

I know many folk who are keen to know if they will be progressing or offered a position..

Good luck all!

SonofCoco
10th Jan 2017, 09:22
Well I guess guess i shouldnt expect the HR team to be trawling a pilot forum looking for the chance to give us some inside goss. Worth the try!

Happy waiting everyone. I hope it's good news whenever it comes! :ok:

OM4
10th Jan 2017, 23:56
So anyone from JQ heard? Looks like they have started contacting JQ

amateur
11th Jan 2017, 03:36
HR is in the office. Heard some active hold emails went out today.

Fonz121
11th Jan 2017, 07:59
Email says congrats you've been successful and you're on active hold. Active hold generally means you've got the job but not a start date for whatever reason.

But saying that, everyone knows someone with an active hold horror story so eventual start date not actually guaranteed.

EY_Airbus
12th Jan 2017, 01:21
Have they invited anymore external applicants to the assessment centre?

SandyPalms
13th Jan 2017, 21:55
Does anybody know when the next intake is?

*Lancer*
14th Jan 2017, 00:00
17th January

EY_Airbus
14th Jan 2017, 06:17
by intake & 17th January do you mean start date for new hires or assessment date for interviewees?

maggot
14th Jan 2017, 07:02
Intake would be a start date

Nice to see the new faces around.

MnM23
15th Jan 2017, 23:14
Does anyone know the number of SO that Qantas are hiring this year?

Any idea on how many assessment days are being held in Feb? The FQA has not been updated since Nov.

KayPam
21st Jan 2017, 00:10
Hello

My current plan is to train under EASA rules and to work in Europe for an airline within the next two years (hopefully).
However, if that did not work, I would be very tempted to go abroad (outside of Europe)
Having spent almost six months in Sydney I must say I loved most of it (except the cost of living)

Is there any chance that an Australian airline would recruit a European pilot ?
Not necessarily Qantas.
By the way, is an Australian pilot career more similar to an European or to an American one ? (do cadets get to fly airbus aircraft or do they have to log thousands of hour on smaller A/C before doing so?)

I heard that two major criteria for immigration were english proficiency and academic qualifications, and I tick both squares. Other squares to tick would be.. licence conversion and getting hired ?

Thanks

FRQ Charlie Bravo
21st Jan 2017, 03:47
Hello

My current plan is to train under EASA rules and to work in Europe for an airline within the next two years (hopefully).
However, if that did not work, I would be very tempted to go abroad (outside of Europe)
Having spent almost six months in Sydney I must say I loved most of it (except the cost of living)

Is there any chance that an Australian airline would recruit a European pilot ?
Not necessarily Qantas.
By the way, is an Australian pilot career more similar to an European or to an American one ? (do cadets get to fly airbus aircraft or do they have to log thousands of hour on smaller A/C before doing so?)

I heard that two major criteria for immigration were english proficiency and academic qualifications, and I tick both squares. Other squares to tick would be.. licence conversion and getting hired ?

Thanks

Hi KayPam,

I'm not sure that you've found the right thread for this question however I couldn't find the right one myself (I went back to Oct 2013).

If you can work in Europe that's a great start. You will see turbines much much sooner than you would in Australia but always beware the wages and conditions.

Once you have some turbine experience you MAY find something in Australia but to be sponsored for a working visa it'll have to be the right experience on the right aircraft (think European pilots rated on the ATR-72 about 5 years ago with Virgin and the then-Skywest).

Aviation in Australia is cutthroat and usually, though not always, involves low pay in light aircraft single-pilot operations from regional or remote towns (and regional in Australia is not the same as regional in more populated continents).

You could look at paid cadetships but I'm not sure about immigration implications with that and you'd need a big chunk of cash.

Best of luck but again, I think you might get more information on some other thread.

FCB

"Littlebird"
23rd Jan 2017, 20:14
Good for us up here in HKG to see QF is taking their time with recruiting new SO's. Thank you Australia... keep sending the Saab, ATR, and Dash pilots! Most I've seen are still going with the QF process after months, and still waiting apparently? Great to see many new faces around the city:ok::cool:
L.B

maggot
23rd Jan 2017, 21:09
Yeah ive flown with a few guys over the years with 6 months of cathay service.

FogBuster
28th Jan 2017, 08:56
Good for us up here in HKG to see QF is taking their time with recruiting new SO's. Thank you Australia... keep sending the Saab, ATR, and Dash pilots! Most I've seen are still going with the QF process after months, and still waiting apparently? Great to see many new faces around the city:ok::cool:
L.B

Yep, guess that's what happens when recruitment has no experience in actual pilot recruitment and have no idea what they're doing. It seems like Talent Acquisition has caused more pilots to leave the group than it's recruited since opening applications early last year. Hyperbole I know but you get the point.

Group pilots are looking for the door and if mainline won't take them, there are plenty of other airlines out there that'll have them.

Yeah ive flown with a few guys over the years with 6 months of cathay service.

Smart move, if history has taught us anything, and recruitment's current behaviour has expanded on that knowledge, the best place to be if you want to join Qantas is anywhere but the group.

SandyPalms
29th Jan 2017, 22:44
Fill ya boots

V24
31st Jan 2017, 04:21
All quiet...

Anyone who's been to the assessment days lately or in contact with HR care to give an update?

Keg
31st Jan 2017, 04:31
Assessment days. New scenarios. Different questions in interviews. Scheduled to settle down into a more regular routine of occurring a couple of times a month on an ongoing basis rather than doing a 'surge' every 6 months or so.

8 trainee S/Os a month on the A330 for the foreseeable future*. 8 787 S/O trainees to start from May or June (can't remember) and to also be every month for the foreseeable future*.

Still an overwhelming desire to prioritise those within the group and take them first. That won't be to the detriment of taking the best candidate though. It's still competitive after all. Just that but being in the group shouldn't be viewed as the detriment it once was.

* My assessment of foreseeable future is the end of this year. We will know more about beyond that about April when the annual training vacancies are published.

Keg
31st Jan 2017, 05:07
My pleasure.

Rumours persist about DE PER 737 F/Os. Hasn't happened yet. That doesn't mean it won't. I've not spoken to anyone in authority about it.

8 787s will need about 160 S/Os.

Capn Bloggs
31st Jan 2017, 05:35
Rumours persist about DE PER 737 F/Os.
The place isn't that bad. It's not even connected to the National Electricity Market. :D

pilotchute
31st Jan 2017, 07:36
A question Keg. Would 8 787's need 160 pilots total or really that many SO's?

FogBuster
31st Jan 2017, 07:40
Still an overwhelming desire to prioritise those within the group and take them first. That won't be to the detriment of taking the best candidate though. It's still competitive after all. Just that but being in the group shouldn't be viewed as the detriment it once was.

I sincerely hope you're right there Keg but if that's true then why has barely anyone from QLink and nobody from JQ been asked to come to an assessment day?

I admit that I can't cover 100% of the pilots so there are surely some that I'm not aware of but I haven't heard of ANY from JQ going past the video interview.

High_To_Low
31st Jan 2017, 08:29
Second that FogBuster.....lots of Qlink guys I know (non LOI or cadets) have interviewed but no one I know has a start yet. JQ guys well thats a different story...we must have ALL done so poorly in the psych / video interview:hmm:

I know of 1 JQ guy who's got an interview on 22nd Feb so the trickle of JQ guys being given the opportunity has started but not like the flood gates at Qlink, Cobham, Network etc

blumoon
31st Jan 2017, 08:52
,... has started but not like the flood gates at Qlink, Cobham, Network etc

Network and Cobham guys are getting a look in for 2nd interview?? Nice hear but any idea of how many??? Any i've spoken too or heard of are hearing crickets

High_To_Low
31st Jan 2017, 08:58
blumoon,

Only heard that through mates. Qlink though I know at least 10 guys who have been through the entire process (non LOI / cadet)

OM4
31st Jan 2017, 10:38
No one will ever come out and say this because officially they are giving preference to internal applicants but...

Obviously they are coordinating their interview dates with the operational requirements with each AOC. I know this happened to cadets within QLINK who were all told it was "merit based". They couldn't afford to lose 25 captains in QLINK in one hit even if they were the 25 best guys and girls. They ran courses with a mix of FO's and captains to make in manageable for QLINK.

It makes perfect sense and is a smart way to do it. It's not fair on the individual who may be held back because they are a training captain or because they are under crewed in that airline. I'm sure merit based is then applied once they have decided they can afford to lose you from your said position.

My opinion only and based solely on observation of this thread and talking with people.

Ps, holding back 777/787 rated guys for the introduction of 787 also makes a lot of sense too.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
31st Jan 2017, 11:37
Since when is Cobham part of the QF group?

I get the contract and the paint job but still don't get the rest.

Frq

717tech
31st Jan 2017, 19:13
Don't forget Network. I know of a a few blokes that are awaiting reference checks. Might've had them done by now.

Wiggley
31st Jan 2017, 20:52
My mates at CX that have interviews are all A330 type rated and current. Not a single B777 pilot has one. Same with the VOZ crew? What's with that? Is it obvious they are waiting for 787 courses to start? I think the 777/787 are a common rating? Tks again

I know of at least one CX 777 SO that has interviewed.

Blitzkrieger
31st Jan 2017, 21:10
Since when is Cobham part of the QF group?

Short answer: They're not!

More like QF's whipping boy.

Vincent Chase
1st Feb 2017, 04:33
So last week there was no jobs then suddenly on sunday the 29th of Jan I checked and applications were open, I started an application but didnt have my year 12 results in my back pocket so went on a big drive to get them. Went to upload them and submit my application this morning and bam job closed too slow. I'd suggest anyone wanting to apply have a PDF of all their documents ready on their computer as it seems who is fastest at submitting an application gets the chance at the job. Too bad if you're in GA and not always within internet range.

Berealgetreal
1st Feb 2017, 07:01
It'll come back Vincent, QF aren't done yet mate. Just warming up, get the popcorn ready.

EY_Airbus
1st Feb 2017, 23:47
It'll come back Vincent, QF aren't done yet mate. Just warming up, get the popcorn ready.

I wish I could share your optimism, but with ground school started already and then courses filled up every month until at least around mid-year (and quickly filling), many of the required 170 new positions have been allocated. 2nd hand info

OM4
2nd Feb 2017, 00:52
That's for the planes on order, I would assume and hope those 8 787's become many more with many more required pilot jobs.

I wish I could share your optimism, but with ground school started already and then courses filled up every month until at least around mid-year (and quickly filling), many of the required 170 new positions have been allocated. 2nd hand info

Transition Layer
2nd Feb 2017, 02:12
For those interested, a couple of S/Os who joined in October last year have just been awarded Perth 737 F/O slots. Less than a year to the right hand seat ain't bad!

maggot
2nd Feb 2017, 02:32
Yeah saw those numbers - thought they must've been new ones.

Good luck to em.

So there you go folks, that's a "real" flying job for those who say they wouldn't join QF to be a SO. Get those apps in

Falling Leaf
2nd Feb 2017, 04:09
If you have a 737 endorsement and recent time on type I have heard you will get recycled very quickly into a 737 RHS as the SO's don't want the job. Quite a few Virgin pilots have walked that path...

maggot
2nd Feb 2017, 04:33
If you have a 737 endorsement and recent time on type I have heard you will get recycled very quickly into a 737 RHS as the SO's don't want the job. Quite a few Virgin pilots have walked that path...

More not wanting to uproot settled family etc after many years than just not wanting for fly the 737

ruprecht
2nd Feb 2017, 05:39
More not wanting to uproot settled family etc after many years than just not wanting for fly the 737

...or a combination of both... :8

Berealgetreal
2nd Feb 2017, 06:12
EY, Qf are going to go from strength to strength. A strong balance sheet followed up with new 787's followed by the Max/NEO combo is going to be unstoppable. Their cost base is getting lower and lower by the day. New routes will follow, its already in the media. Recruitment will fire up again.

maggot
2nd Feb 2017, 08:33
...or a combination of both... :8

Well that just makes it easier :p

sandsthrudahrglass
9th Feb 2017, 06:06
have any expats heard anything.... anything?? echo echo echo

SonofCoco
9th Feb 2017, 21:13
have any expats heard anything.... anything?? echo echo echo

I am aware of a Cx FO that has a start in April. Was on my assessment day in Nov. I hope that helps.

"Littlebird"
14th Feb 2017, 20:23
Actually there's a couple of CX FO's and SO's with QF start dates. At the same time about a dozen current QF SO's have been or will be interviewed shortly for CX direct entry FO. I guess it's all relative...
L.B

OldMate1
19th Feb 2017, 06:06
Any guys or girls heard anything from the latest round of applications that closed last month? My vague understanding was that was likely for 787 positions... Melbourne based?

I guess it's good times in aviation when both QF and VA are taking apps.

ruprecht
20th Feb 2017, 23:53
A friend of mine just got told he was successful and placed on "Active Hold" for employment.

Keg
21st Feb 2017, 01:17
The current forecast is MAR and APR courses on the A330 then 8 per month on both the A330 and the 787 for the foreseeeable future. Personally I reckon the A330 S/O training should start to reduce about the end of the year- unless they increase the international flying on the A330 even more.

maggot
21st Feb 2017, 02:09
The current forecast is MAR and APR courses on the A330 then 8 per month on both the A330 and the 787 for the foreseeeable future. Personally I reckon the A330 S/O training should start to reduce about the end of the year- unless they increase the international flying on the A330 even more.

"S/o training"

Thats a misnoner. Flying with recruits experienced in airline ops, jets and turboprops; all saying "what training?"

havick
21st Feb 2017, 02:56
A buddy of mine that interviewed late 2016 (RAAF heavy driver) just recently got put on the hold file for those wondering about HR movement.

Far Canel
21st Feb 2017, 03:03
Forgive may ignorance Havick,"heavy driver"? C17 pilot BBJ pilot???
Thanks in advance

havick
21st Feb 2017, 10:15
Forgive may ignorance Havick,"heavy driver"? C17 pilot BBJ pilot???
Thanks in advance

MRTT doesn't get a mention?

What I meant to say rather than heavy, was air lift group, as opposed to maritime or fighter.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Tankengine
23rd Feb 2017, 06:10
Anyone with an idea on what the likelihood of an April 787 course is? Or if QF are recruiting for anything other than the A330 at this stage from the applicants on the current active hold file?

About 0.1% unless you are a current Qantas trainer. A330 until later in the year. (I would not knock back the 330, the pay and flying will be better than the 787, not to mention seniority by starting earlier)

SonofCoco
23rd Feb 2017, 06:44
Herbs,

See Kegs post above.

I hear that Mar and Apr A330 courses are full. Both A330 and 787 running from May.

maggot
23rd Feb 2017, 11:24
Yeah i heard may maybe april but who knows

blumoon
23rd Feb 2017, 20:25
Are HR processing any more applications for 2nd stage? All seems very quiet since the 'Christmas break email'

Thanks

Crash8
24th Feb 2017, 03:44
Yeah i heard may maybe april but who knows

So what's to stop someone getting a start on the 787, then bidding over to the 330 if they're continuing to recruit on the bus?

Fonz121
24th Feb 2017, 03:55
So what's to stop someone getting a start on the 787, then bidding over to the 330 if they're continuing to recruit on the bus?

Four year type freeze on 787 from date the first 787 pilot starts or something along those lines.

SandyPalms
24th Feb 2017, 04:20
Boating, Camping and Fishing I'd imagine.
Good time off after the endorsement, but the pay will be an issue, as you don't move to year 1 pay until after you check out on type.

Which leads me to the next point:

Wouldn't recruiting to both the A330 and 787 be contrary to the intent of the EA? Isn't that just the "day one lottery"? Especially when you factor in the above issue of pay for the first groups of 787 second officers.

Keg
24th Feb 2017, 04:31
I think the 4 year type freeze is for those who bid to go to the aeroplane. It may not apply to S/Os allocated to it. I'd need to double check that in the EA.

Sandy, yep. Day 1 lottery again. S/Os will start in June, July, August, September, etc on the A330 while crew senior to them will be on the 787. It won't make too much of a difference in the first two years. It sure as heck does after that.I tried to warn them they were going to continue the day 1 lottery.

If someone starts on the 787 in May I suspect they'll train on it and 'check to line' the same as anyone else- probably in the back of a JQ aeroplane with a JQ TRE or CAT and a QF TRE or CAT doing the flying so I don't reckon they'll stay on TSO pay until the jet arrives months later.

If you do the maths it sort of makes sense with starting the courses in May. When the first 787 departs on it's service the second 787 will have arrived. Thus they'll need 30-40 S/Os ready to go by early December. They can't train them all at once and will need some lead time. So if your last S/Os finish early December you need to have started them 3 1/2 months prior to that. That makes it the beginning of September for them, a month earlier for the previous 8 (August) to take us to 16, July course take us to 24, June course for 32, May course for 40 S/Os by December.

Of course, what do you do with the S/Os who check out in late August/ early Sep? I dunno. time will tell I guess.

SandyPalms
24th Feb 2017, 04:35
Ah! Got it Keg. Sounds reasonable.

Lf1
24th Feb 2017, 05:00
Has anyone received any insight as to when they'll be assigning people to May starts, or if they've started doing so already?

Keg
24th Feb 2017, 09:32
Dunno to be honest. Not sure how that part of it is playing out at the moment.

maggot
24th Feb 2017, 09:57
Doesnt matter what type you fly; pay and lifestyle count.

flythree
28th Feb 2017, 04:43
Does anyone have any information on when applications will be open again?

"Littlebird"
28th Feb 2017, 12:03
I've been told they are busy enough sorting through the existing pool of 700 plus applicants that completed stage 1 last year...why would they open the gates to more people at this stage.
L.B

FogBuster
28th Feb 2017, 12:20
I've been told they are busy enough sorting through the existing pool of 700 plus applicants that completed stage 1 last year...why would they open the gates to more people at this stage.
L.B

Because they frequently do things that don't make sense?

Far Canel
3rd Mar 2017, 01:00
Anyone in know, your thoughts would be much appreciated
1. Would 700 include the Qantas group or just the second officer direct entries?
2. As the Qantas website states:
Recruitment process:
1. Initial application
2. Psychometric Testing
3.Online/telephone/ video interview
4. Assessment Centre(I.e. Group exercise, panel interview, behavioural based questions)
5. Sim
6. Medical
My question is stage 1 as mentioned above, were does that fit into the picture in terms of the above 6 stages????
By the way word on the street here in Darwin. 1000 total and a bit of multi. Will get a look in����

"Littlebird"
3rd Mar 2017, 06:52
Far Canel - I am across some of what is what at QF, although best verified by someone like Keg.

'Would 700 include the Qantas group or just the second officer direct entries?'
As far as I'm aware the 700 is only for SO. The others in the group I believe take care of their own recruitment needs.

'My question is stage 1 as mentioned above, were does that fit into the picture in terms of the above 6 stages????'
It is exactly that... the first stage of screening that you meet all the requirements as advised. You will then more than likely be invited to complete steps 2 and 3 simultaneously. As far as what happens to your results and how people are selected from thereon, I don't know.

'By the way word on the street here in Darwin. 1000 total and a bit of multi. Will get a look in����'
As far as the word on the street in Darwin, I would say this... If your 'bit of multi' meets the minimums, then yes no reason why you wouldn't get a look in. My next point is, that if you do only have the minimums, that more than likely, you would interview at the end of the recruitment trail. This is what my experience has shown, but again, it's QF's prerogative to do as they please.

L.B ;)

Far Canel
3rd Mar 2017, 07:51
Thanks for that. 700 for second officer sounds realistic. It would be quite an attractive proposal for experienced Aussies to come home, and a lot would be Type rated on appropriate aircraft.

With regards to D town up here. I was actually talking about ga guy and girls getting a start here. It is not usually possible to get a first job here, but it is looking that way very soon. So best of luck to those who make the pilgrimage up here, might just be your turn now, with the right attitude 👍👍👍👍👍

RENURPP
4th Mar 2017, 00:04
Rubbish, it shouldn't nor does it matter were you gain your experience.

Far Canel
4th Mar 2017, 01:39
Totally agree with you sealear. I would like to be one. Didn't no mean to upset

EY_Airbus
4th Mar 2017, 04:27
Canel,
As someone who is overseas (and completed QF stage 1), I firmly believe that those in AU on turboprops or in GA deserve a shot at QF first. We all knew what we were doing when we left and that it was a one way trip. Taking overseas jobs on widebodys then using that to get back home is not how it works in oz and we all know it. Give the guys back home a chance.

Not a flame at your post but just saying.....

So are you saying that ambitious pilots who took a risk and went overseas, got some heavy airline international experience, because nothing was happening at home, should be given a lower priority than those that didn't? Wouldn't that be discrimination? Are we not Australians? Last time I checked my passport was blue with a Kangaroo on the front of it. Shouldn't matter if I choose to live in Australia or in outer space. If you meet the requirements you meet the requirements.

CurtainTwitcher
4th Mar 2017, 04:59
What the leave early & go O/S vs GA debate demonstrates, is ultimately there is a certain price to be paid to make it to the top in aviation in Australia. It's really just a question of when the bill becomes due.

A widebody Capt will be coming back to be an S/O on a 787 / A330, or the RHS of a 737. If he played his card right there should be a fistfull of $$ to continue a certain lifestyle until he eventually gets back to a to higher income. But he knows he is unlikely to ever be a widebody Capt again. Current east coast is widebody LHS is 25 years just to be at the bottom of list just to work almost every weekend.

Same over at Jetstar, a few lucky ones were there at just the right time and got very quick commands by taking T&C that looked great for a young single bloke, now older & wiser with family commitments things aren't so rosy. There is no reasonable prospect of improvement, ever, so the only option is to go O/S or become a QF S/O.

Everyone seems to think they have a scam or plan to "get ahead", but in reality, managements understand this & exploit it to the hilt. We are all worse off for it.

There are no shortcuts in this game. Almost nobody has "got ahead", no matter what path they have chosen.

*Lancer*
4th Mar 2017, 05:53
It's worth noting that you don't actually need to be Australian to fly for Qantas.

No particular experience path should be favoured over any others, except that those previously assessed, followed by those already within the Group have been given the first opportunity.

Jetdream
4th Mar 2017, 15:26
A) Most expats flying overseas have done their time in GA or the regionals in Aus so they should have no issues in returning if that's what they want.
B) I honestly don't think you will find a huge number of expats going for it, despite what is rumoured that everyone wants to work for QF. Flying overseas definitely opens your eyes to another world of aviation.

V1rhot8
4th Mar 2017, 16:13
It's worth noting that you don't actually need to be Australian to fly for Qantas.

No particular experience path should be favoured over any others, except that those previously assessed, followed by those already within the Group have been given the first opportunity.

Well one may not need to be Australian, but they do require CASA licensing and right to work in Australia.

maggot
4th Mar 2017, 17:47
B) I honestly don't think you will find a huge number of expats going for it, despite what is rumoured that everyone wants to work for QF. Flying overseas definitely opens your eyes to another world of aviation.

Depends on what wifey wants eh

QF will continue to do what they do, hopefully recruiting a nice balance of crew.

Good luck folks

amateur
5th Mar 2017, 00:14
Anyone heard news regarding May courses?

rodney rude
7th Mar 2017, 02:10
Not officially, but I believe they start in May.

Keg
7th Mar 2017, 05:35
Two courses in May- 4 weeks apart. I think they're 2 May and 30 May. 787 S/O courses were supposed to start in May but not sure if they'll be on both courses or most likely the just the later one.

Therefore June course is probably 27 June.

Popgun
11th Mar 2017, 03:51
Look ladies! There's a pilot shortage!

Qantas looks to women to solve looming pilot shortage (http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/qantas-targets-women-to-ward-off-looming-pilot-shortage/news-story/75298f4d9dbd31198ab622a4bb8bcdf2)

If you want a job as a Qantas Pilot then come on down. It's yours for the taking!

PG

PS. The Spinmeisters in the QF PR Department said its true...so it must be.

ROH111
11th Mar 2017, 06:15
From all accounts the QF interview process is culling a lot of, what I would have considered, highly suitable candidates.

From Airforce pilots, to turboprop captains, to Jet F/O'S.

Tough gig. Good luck to all who aspire to work for QF.

Jetdream
11th Mar 2017, 07:12
It hardly seems EQUAL if they are bumping women up the list just to make the statistics look better.

Disappointing to hear 111 considering I have heard of one female candidate with a less than desirable reputation in GA (but always managed to get the next job somehow) making it through the selection process.

ClearanceClarence1
11th Mar 2017, 07:23
Haidee is an excellent pilot and person. She would have been a successful applicant even if she was male.

I have heard there are 500+ retirements coming up over the next 5 years. Everyone is going to get an interview and I have heard they are looking for well rounded people. Someone you would want to spend a long flight next to, not an arrogant ace.

Cheers

Keg
11th Mar 2017, 08:12
There's no bias in the selection. The girls are getting knocked back in pretty much the same ratio as the boys. (IE if the applicant group is 15% female only 15% of females are getting through to the hold file). A good operator is a good operator and that's what every pilot involved in the selection process is trying to assess.

Qantas have been upfront about trying to encourage more women to seek careers across the board. It's not just pilot positions although that was what the forum was about a few days back.

Where I reckon they're missing though is they're mostly preaching to the converted. Most girls at those forums are likely to have already chosen an aviation career or be thinking very seriously about it.

Flyboy1987
11th Mar 2017, 10:25
Have been told that if minimums are met, that's a box ticked.

Doesn't matter if the 500 hours needed was in a c172 or 737...invites are being sent out according to the psych/aptitude score.

FogBuster
11th Mar 2017, 10:37
There's no bias in the selection. The girls are getting knocked back in pretty much the same ratio as the boys. (IE if the applicant group is 15% female only 15% of females are getting through to the hold file). A good operator is a good operator and that's what every pilot involved in the selection process is trying to assess.

Honestly Keg, I wonder which side you're on half the time.

If what you say is correct then just look at the 100 cadet applicants. I understand about 15 were female and none of them were rejected as opposed to about 30 males. How's my maths?

Male: 35% failure rate
Female: 0% failure rate

By my count about 5 females should have missed out.

I'm not sure what's happened since, the "sample group" has grown hugely from the original cadet group.

Why are you guys in mainline not stamping your feet about this? Your airline clearly has a discriminatory recruiting practice in addition to a terribly flawed one run by incompetents. Why is AIPA not kicking up a fuss about this either?

Keg
11th Mar 2017, 12:28
i don't know about the cadet numbers. My figures are more to do with direct entry applications.

Honestly Keg, I wonder which side you're on half the time.

I've no idea what this is supposed to mean?!?

I'm on the side of wanting the best applicants to get the job. Having done pilot assessment I can categorically tell you that the sex of the person sitting across from me has zero bearing on the assessment of them. In the specific circumstances of the cadet numbers, maybe the girls prepped harder*. Maybe they didn't assume the selection was a box ticking exercise. Maybe they were just better on the day. Maybe the crap that gets handed to them on occasion by idiots in the industry mean they've got to perform better than the guys. Perhaps it's a function that only highly skilled females applied to become cadets and therefore they're not a typical applicant data set.

AIPA has no role in the selection of pilots. They've got no say in who Qantas employs. Im not sure they can't stamp their feet up and down about anything in this area.

A number of very clever, very smart crew (way smarter than me) continue to provide feedback into the HR process to ensure that it's as robust as possible and we are getting the right candidates. It's not going to be perfect and sometimes suitable candidates miss out (either by misfortune or not being competitive); or sometimes the system will not pick up somone who should have been excluded and they'll get an offer. Either way, those flight crew in a position to influence and improve the process are providing the feedback.

*i haven't done an assessment centre for a while but the anecedota feedback is this lack of prep could be an emerging theme. My advice to an applicant is to do your homework. On the airline, your future role, and how you'll fit into it, and most importantly, yourself. Know who you are, what you can offer and have examples that back that home.

Gligg
11th Mar 2017, 20:24
My encouragement workshop was sweeping the hangar. I think if you need to be pumped up at a rally to get enthused about a job, you may end up doing it for the wrong reasons.

Beer Baron
11th Mar 2017, 22:08
just look at the 100 cadet applicants. I understand about 15 were female and none of them were rejected as opposed to about 30 males.
What cadet program are you talking about? I didn't think Qantas was running their program and hadn't for many years.

amateur
12th Mar 2017, 00:41
I believe he is referring to the cadets from 08/09. They were the first to go through the current recruitment process at the end of last year.

ReBjorn
12th Mar 2017, 05:39
Hey all just curious whether anyone had gone into the website to check on their application?

Seems it directs now to qantas.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com rather than the old qantas.taleo.net...

fearcampaign
12th Mar 2017, 05:40
Probably remembered the golden rules

1.Great landing Captain
2.Laughed at the jokes
3.Showed genuine concern over a beer at the investment returns of Division 1 super
4.Passed the maths test running a kitty
5.Havent seen it done that way but thanks for showing me

maggot
12th Mar 2017, 07:56
Thank you for your input

C441
12th Mar 2017, 09:30
Seems it directs now to qantas.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com rather than the old qantas.taleo.net...

A number of Qantas HR and other functions (including Taleo) were migrated to "Workday" on March 6th. Not sure how this operates for potential employees but compared to another IT "innovation" in the week or two before that, the transition to Workday was relatively painless…....relatively.:8

ReBjorn
12th Mar 2017, 09:40
A number of Qantas HR and other functions (including Taleo) were migrated to "Workday" on March 6th. Not sure how this operates for potential employees but compared to another IT "innovation" in the week or two before that, the transition to Workday was relatively painless…....relatively.:8
Thanks for that C441, not having luck with old user/pass combo and it says to contact an admin when trying to do password reset.
Just toying with whether it'd be prudent to give HR an email, obviously don't want to harass but just want to make sure I haven't been lost in the migration!

International Trader
12th Mar 2017, 15:38
Keg,
Don't know what your system is like now but, going back to the late 70's to mid 80's, I recall some really inexperienced pilots (4-500 hours and a bare twin endorsement) as well as some less than stellar operators that managed to squeeze through the cracks. A few are 380 cpts now.
Met one a few years back who appeared to forget that he had only ever had one , casual , junior instructor job before joining QF.

To the applicants ;
I feel for you but, even though
you have to prepare and roll over on command for a job, remember that the interview processes have been proven to be next to worthless. I read just yesterday that a CEO took his company employment screening and found that he didn't even rate a position as a cleaner.
Creating and runnng these processes is just empire building and back slapping. The good, the bad and the ugly slip through at similar rates.
Some pilots who were (are) far better than I ,never got a look into airlines and , some out and out liars and , some complete f-wits now command airliners.
If you don't get a shot, don't take it personally, just try somewhere else.
It is a much smaller world today with many more opportunities . Don' t wait on some BS ' hold file' that won't feed your family or limit yourself to your own back yard. Love that term ' hold file'. Hold for what?
Who knows where your future lies? There are better jobs, go out and find them.

Crash8
13th Mar 2017, 02:38
Two courses in May- 4 weeks apart. I think they're 2 May and 30 May. 787 S/O courses were supposed to start in May but not sure if they'll be on both courses or most likely the just the later one.

Therefore June course is probably 27 June.

Presumably the first courses on the 787 would be a Melbourne base with Perth basing kicking off later in the year?

PPRuNeUser0184
13th Mar 2017, 03:16
Probably remembered the golden rules

1.Great landing Captain
2.Laughed at the jokes
3.Showed genuine concern over a beer at the investment returns of Division 1 super
4.Passed the maths test running a kitty
5.Havent seen it done that way but thanks for showing me

It's funny cause it's true!!!

Dont forget....
6.Provided useful feedback after listening for 30-60min about the planned extension and renovation of the Sydney waterfront house.
7. Agreed with the assumption that 4million in cash was not enough to retire on.
8. Was aware of the SOP of "meet in the lobby at 6" for drinks.

goodonyamate
13th Mar 2017, 03:45
8. Was aware of the SOP of "meet in the lobby at 6" for drinks.

This SOP has been amended to

'see you at 6? Nope' *

*meet non tools at a location discussed during cruise at a time which allows you to escape the crew hotel without being spotted by tools.:p

hotnhigh
13th Mar 2017, 04:22
9. Per sector, be aware of good CRM practice..... "It was worse in my day son. 14 years to FO spot."
"Cobham, Jetconnect, Jetstar, Network.....what the hell are you talking about?"

clear to land
13th Mar 2017, 08:44
It concerns me that you would have to find an 'excuse' or sneak out the loading dock. Whats wrong with 'I have other things to do-enjoy your layover-see you at pick up!'. If that causes a problem then there are many greater problems that need addressing first!:ugh:

Tankengine
13th Mar 2017, 08:52
6pm drinks (earlier depending on happy hour/sunset in HNL etc.) is one of the good parts of the job.
Unless you really don't like the rest of the crew or tired etc then why not socialise?
If you miss out on selection after the psych tests then maybe a look in the mirror is in order! ;)

SonofCoco
13th Mar 2017, 09:21
6pm drinks at a bar in HNL sounds good to me! Where do the QF crew usually go? Dukes?

blow.n.gasket
13th Mar 2017, 09:27
Nope, Ballarrinas these days!

EY_Airbus
13th Mar 2017, 10:41
Agree with clear to land....u guys need to grow a pair and learn how to say no thanks

dr dre
13th Mar 2017, 13:12
It concerns me that you would have to find an 'excuse' or sneak out the loading dock. Whats wrong with 'I have other things to do-enjoy your layover-see you at pick up!'. If that causes a problem then there are many greater problems that need addressing first!

There's been a generational change. No longer any "requirement" to meet for drinks at 6. Prospective recruits feel free to know your time off duty in a slip port is yours to do as you wish.

maggot
13th Mar 2017, 14:15
There's been a generational change. No longer any "requirement" to meet for drinks at 6. Prospective recruits feel free to know your time off duty in a slip port is yours to do as you wish.

Hell, in my 20 years here its never been, nor felt like a requirement!

Although it is nice to stick together every now and then, good to include all sometimes.

Its back to the days that you had to pack a jacket, not just a work one!

goodonyamate
13th Mar 2017, 18:26
Anyhooo.......:rolleyes:

I'm hearing 8 every month, that was from a manager in training dept...good news for all :ok:

C441
13th Mar 2017, 22:30
7. Agreed with the assumption that 4million in cash was not enough to retire on.

Bugger! I was going to retire in 4 years at 60. Now I'll have to stay on 'til I'm 124!

Fatguyinalittlecoat
13th Mar 2017, 23:37
I love the irony. They think the old blokes are the wankers.

PPRuNeUser0184
14th Mar 2017, 00:46
I love the irony. They think the old blokes are the wankers.

How ironic

fearcampaign
14th Mar 2017, 00:56
I always thought grown adults could have a laugh. Even it's at our own expense sometimes.
Good luck to the new guys and gals. Sure they will be well balanced individuals.
They have always made the best pilots to go to work with.

Tankengine
14th Mar 2017, 17:42
I always thought grown adults could have a laugh. Even it's at our own expense sometimes.
Good luck to the new guys and gals. Sure they will be well balanced individuals.
They have always made the best pilots to go to work with.

Best pilots to have a drink and meal with as well! :)

amateur
15th Mar 2017, 08:48
May courses on 2nd and 30th. Any confirmation of 787 being one of these courses?

717tech
16th Mar 2017, 03:23
As others have reported, I can't login to my application. The new system doesn't recognise my username/email, so I wouldn't have a clue if I'm still "in the system".

itsnotthatbloodyhard
16th Mar 2017, 04:27
As others have reported, I can't login to my application. The new system doesn't recognise my username/email, so I wouldn't have a clue if I'm still "in the system".

You must be doing well - they're treating you just like a regular line driver :ok:

V-Jet
16th Mar 2017, 10:05
You must be doing well - they're treating you just like a regular line driver :ok:

^^^^^^^^^
Expect a call from scheduling and/or Fleet Manager (or Dalek shaped lady from HR) demanding to know why you haven't fronted for pattern leaving yesterday! Not being able to sign in sounds to me like you've been hired....

PS: I don't wish to play with your emotions for humour, but get used to that - ops normal.

SonofCoco
16th Mar 2017, 10:29
Any truth to rumours that more training types than A330 or 787 may be on offer?

Are there Many people out there with confirmed start dates in May/June?

I know a few guys that seem to be close to getting start dates but not quite yet! Any clues to the reasons behind 'just in time' notifications of start dates?

Cheers all!

engine out
16th Mar 2017, 21:17
"Just in time start dates" is the way Qantas always seems to do it.

Crash8
16th Mar 2017, 22:42
A small number of internals now have dates up until the end of 2017. Hopefully it's the same for externals.

Anymore grumblings (Keg and others) about 78 and bases, or the potential of other fleets for the next few courses?

Fonz121
16th Mar 2017, 23:34
A small number of internals now have dates up until the end of 2017. Hopefully it's the same for externals.

At least a third do by my count.

_gazelle_
17th Mar 2017, 12:42
Maybe chuck the 'other types' rumour with the direct entry FO thread...

CaptainSouth
18th Mar 2017, 23:14
Just attended a meeting chaired by very senior execs. Recruiting numbers to double to 16 per month shortly.

SandyPalms
19th Mar 2017, 01:36
A meeting on a Sunday?

blow.n.gasket
19th Mar 2017, 01:42
A Spearmint Rhino meeting ?

Keg
19th Mar 2017, 02:13
Just attended a meeting chaired by very senior execs. Recruiting numbers to double to 16 per month shortly.

As I indicated back in late Feb, 8 per month on the A330 and 8 per month on the 787 until at least the end of the year*.

*Standard disclaimers about WWIII or other financial disasters apply.

Jetstarpilot
19th Mar 2017, 02:40
Don't uzurp Kegs self awarded titel of king of the kids there Capn:=

Jerimiah 9:23
Proverbs 16:5

Keg
19th Mar 2017, 05:51
John 8:7 :E :ok:

IsDon
19th Mar 2017, 06:48
Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Capt Fathom
19th Mar 2017, 07:09
5:30
Bundy and Coke thanks!

galdian
20th Mar 2017, 03:38
Since when they been allowing Queesnlanders in to Qantas? :eek:

Bundy and Coke indeed - more suited to the riff raff at Jestsar IMHO! ;)

Cheers.

IFEZ
20th Mar 2017, 04:48
Looks like galdian may have a couple under his belt already http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Since when they been allowing Queesnlanders in to Qantas? http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Bundy and Coke indeed - more suited to the riff raff at Jestsar IMHO! http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

galdian
20th Mar 2017, 06:50
When in doubt.... blame the keyboard! :p

The defence rests! :ok:

CurtainTwitcher
20th Mar 2017, 07:49
Your keyboard has had a couple as well...?

JimletG1000
20th Mar 2017, 12:14
Keg,

Are you in the know as to how many applicants are 'reviewed' at these meetings?

EY_Airbus
22nd Mar 2017, 16:41
For those who completed the online testing and video last year, and are still awaiting an invite to the assessment centre (or a big fat NO), have you heard anything? The silence is deafening.

Keg
22nd Mar 2017, 18:09
Sorry JimletG1000, no idea. I'll see if I can do some digging but it won't be a quick answer as I'm not doing any recruiting stuff for the next couple of months.

EY Airbus, I asked that question of the HR people a couple of days back. If I get an answer I'll pass it on.

Unbroken
23rd Mar 2017, 00:13
For those who completed the online testing and video last year, and are still awaiting an invite to the assessment centre (or a big fat NO), have you heard anything? The silence is deafening.

I'm in the same boat, hopefully Keg or someone else may be able to shed some light on the subject. Nothing since the "Merry Xmas" email on the 8th Dec for me....

Obie
23rd Mar 2017, 06:58
So, what has happened to the Jetstar recruitment that was advertised in December for a four year course in Melbourne beginning this year? Has that taken place? Have interviews been held?

Aviatrix91
23rd Mar 2017, 08:40
So, what has happened to the Jetstar recruitment that was advertised in December for a four year course in Melbourne beginning this year? Has that taken place? Have interviews been held?

Hi Obie, wrong thread for the Jetstar Cadetship, here should be a link

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/586860-jetstar-cadet-recruitment.html

Obie
23rd Mar 2017, 09:05
Thanks 91. Have connected with that link. Cheers.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
24th Mar 2017, 07:15
Any contracts out for internals or externals for early May yet? Must be getting very close to most people's notice periods..

Nope... Not this guy.

Falling Leaf
24th Mar 2017, 07:21
Finally notified by email that I did not meet the 'psychometric benchmark'. Guess they've worked out their numbers and drawn a line through the list...above me. Oh well.

SonofCoco
24th Mar 2017, 08:30
Herbs, FRQ,

No news here either. Next week then!?

Give it the herbs
24th Mar 2017, 08:37
Oh the suspense!! :ugh:

717tech
24th Mar 2017, 10:20
Finally notified by email that I did not meet the 'psychometric benchmark'. Guess they've worked out their numbers and drawn a line through the list...above me. Oh well.

Sorry to hear that mate. I guess they're the same as others as far as applying in 12 months goes?

pblak
25th Mar 2017, 01:32
Has anyone been able to gain access to the new Qantas Workday site to view current applications and update details?

pilotbc69
25th Mar 2017, 03:57
Still waiting for a reply as well. Sounds like the few chosen have been chosen for the most part. How long do you wait? Might be time to join the flow overseas unfortunately.

clear to land
25th Mar 2017, 04:41
pilotbc69 I wouldn't consider going overseas unfortunate. It is actually a real eye opener to just how small, naive and insular the Australian industry is. Living and aviating overseas will open your eyes to far more diversity and opportunity for both professional and personal development than could ever be achieved by staying. Yes some things may lack at times-the quality of life in Australia is still very good, but if you seek greater professional challenges and a broader more realistic view the rest of the world becomes your oyster.

Open Descent
25th Mar 2017, 06:11

Sorry to hear that mate.

EY_Airbus
25th Mar 2017, 06:31
pilotbc69 I wouldn't consider going overseas unfortunate. It is actually a real eye opener to just how small, naive and insular the Australian industry is. Living and aviating overseas will open your eyes to far more diversity and opportunity for both professional and personal development than could ever be achieved by staying. Yes some things may lack at times-the quality of life in Australia is still very good, but if you seek greater professional challenges and a broader more realistic view the rest of the world becomes your oyster.

Yeah but good luck being able to return to Australia when you want to. That time will come when personal or family issues make a return to Australia necessary and it just sucks when no one is interested in employing you. It's seems as if they think your overseas achievements are BS.

Qanchor
25th Mar 2017, 09:45
Yeah but good luck being able to return to Australia when you want to. That time will come when personal or family issues make a return to Australia necessary and it just sucks when no one is interested in employing you. It's seems as if they think your overseas achievements are BS.

EY,
Several airlines here are interviewing right now. I very much doubt they wouldn't take your application & experience seriously. I'm sure QF would love to have an experienced S/O on the deck.

pilotbc69
25th Mar 2017, 10:03
Thanks Clearedtoland, I understand the world is a small place and am certainly considering the opportunities that are out there, especially now that worldwide recruitment is white hot. I am surprised at the amount of mainline people not coming back and hearing their stories as to why. I have actually spent most of my career in North and South America and studied overseas as well. I have finally found a place where my lifestyle is excellent but can't get the job to match, common story I'm sure.

I wonder if more people are getting 'no thanks' letters. Would be sort of nice to stop hoping and move on.

EY_Airbus
25th Mar 2017, 10:17
Hats off to QF for being one of the only ones that actually acknowledged a job application. Just playing the waiting game now as I haven't heard anything since the Xmas email. Me too would just like to know where I stand in the mix. I thought I was safe after the IQ tests because of not gettting a no thanks email last year, when others did.... but the unfortunate emails that were sent this week has changed my thinking!

Qanchor
25th Mar 2017, 10:24
EY,
Hang in there mate, the wheels do turn here, albeit slowly.
Good luck with it.

SonofCoco
26th Mar 2017, 11:31
Telfer86 - at the assessment day I attended in November, we were told as a group that should we not be successful this time around, we should reapply in 12 months because they will still be recruiting.

How that would play out for you as an applicant, and what internal processes they are using.. I have no idea.

Best of luck!

JimletG1000
26th Mar 2017, 11:45

A number of people from overseas have start dates coming up with Qantas mate. If you meet their standard in the assessments you get a look in regardless of your background be it in Australia or overseas. Their preference it seems has been to obviously look at their own group applicants if and where they can, but that doesn't mean they've shut out external or overseas applicants whatsoever.

pilotbc69
26th Mar 2017, 23:10
Ask and ye shall receive. Got the thanks but no thanks e-mail this morning. Glad they responded and didn't leave us forever wondering. Best of luck to all of those who progressed, such a good opportunity.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
27th Mar 2017, 02:01
Before you make any decisions to sign up for Truck Masters please check to see if your "we'll not be proceeding your application" email is referencing a seperate "Qantas Group Pilot" application.

FCB

(Yes, that was a shameless Top Gun reference.)

cLeArIcE
27th Mar 2017, 06:33
Before you make any decisions to sign up for Truck Masters please check to see if your "we'll not be proceeding your application" email is referencing a seperate "Qantas Group Pilot" application.

FCB

(Yes, that was a shameless Top Gun reference.)

Aren't they one and the same thing?

Keg
27th Mar 2017, 06:49
It's a distraction from the thread but if you haven't seen this, it's freaking awesome.

UxFq16IG_k0

FRQ Charlie Bravo
27th Mar 2017, 06:49
Aren't they one and the same thing?

I believe that they are now, however the main job that most people following this thread applied to back in October was advertised prior to the "group" jobs position and the two processes will therefore generate separate notifications.

If you applied to both then you SHOULD get notifications for both.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
27th Mar 2017, 07:03
Love it, Keg!

(link missing in Firefox, had to open in IE)

mra3xx
28th Mar 2017, 03:37
Hello one and all. For those who are still hanging on 😳😳 waiting for yay or nay is there any solid up to date consensus on what the company is after? Just curious. Hearing of lots of talent getting looked over sadly 😞 ME based and did plenty of Aus and Intl GA back in the day.
HooRoo

EY_Airbus
28th Mar 2017, 05:57
Hello one and all. For those who are still hanging on 😳😳 waiting for yay or nay is there any solid up to date consensus on what the company is after? Just curious. Hearing of lots of talent getting looked over sadly 😞 ME based and did plenty of Aus and Intl GA back in the day.
HooRoo

4th-hand information so take it with a grain of salt. invites for interview based primarily on your IQ test scores.

crosscutter
28th Mar 2017, 06:27
HooRoo

Preparation. Finding out the style of questions and preparing. You gotta score well... doesn't matter how many bars you have or quality overseas hours you've done if you don't nail the psychometric testing. Simples

Keg
28th Mar 2017, 09:39
I'm trying to collate a bit of data from people who haven't yet heard back from QF or only got a 'nyet' recently. As I've alluded to previously some are trying to improve the service and this is difficult to do without hard numbers.

Could I ask if those who can be bothered could email the following data. I don't need names, just the relevant dates.

Date you applied:
Date you got invitation to complete video and psychometric
The dates you completed the video interview and online assessments
Whether you then applied for the 'group pilot' position
Dates you received updates from Qantas and the content of those updates.
Date you may have received the final 'no' or when you received an invitation to assessment centre if you've only received that notification this year.

Email to keg767 at gmail dot com

All responses in the strictest of confidence and names won't be attached to individual responses if you send from a personal email address. I was going to say 'PM' me but I suspect I'd run out of space pretty quickly.

stillcallozhome
28th Mar 2017, 12:04
Hi all,

I applied for mainline with most of you last year. I did the video and psychometric tests and got the email prior to new year saying they were going on break until the new year. I thought I would check my application status but it says my email address is invalid and to contact the administrator. Can anyone shed any light on this? It looks a different platform to the one we originally applied on. Has this happened to anyone else??

Thanks for your help.

SCOH.

Keg
28th Mar 2017, 12:39
Qantas changed over from Taleo to 'workday' as the platform to manage their personnel (and job applications) a few weeks back. I suspect your issue is related to that.

Suggest you use the direct [email protected] email address and identify the problem with them. You'd hate for the transition between systems to have 'lost' your application along the way!

Brakerider
28th Mar 2017, 17:39
For what it's worth, my details also got lost in the transition. Sent an email 2 weeks ago letting them know I couldn't log in, and couldn't complete the video interview as they had asked- no reply.

stillcallozhome
28th Mar 2017, 21:45
Thanks Keg. Will do.

billyraycirrus
28th Mar 2017, 22:18
For those worried they are unable to login to the new recruitment system, I'm in the same boat. I emailed them this morning and got the following response within a couple of hours:

Thanks for your email.

We are still working through applications and I can confirm yours is still under review at this time. We will be looking to invite you to an upcoming assessment day in the coming months.

Any updates regarding your application will come directly to this email address and not via the system.

pblak
29th Mar 2017, 00:41
Well Im glad Im not the only one with this new recruitment system problem then. Keg Ill send an email to the address you provided and hope IT and HR can work together to resolve.

SpyderPig
29th Mar 2017, 01:32
Just got the same response as above. Took less than an hour :ok:

EY_Airbus
29th Mar 2017, 07:51
Old mate just did the same and got told no thanks :eek:

Spooled Up
29th Mar 2017, 08:57
I enquired today as I too was unable to log into Workday with my Taleo details.

received the:
Thanks for your email.

We are still working through applications and I can confirm yours is still under review at this time. We will be looking to invite you to an upcoming assessment day in the coming months.

Any updates regarding your application will come directly to this email address and not via the system.

Took under an hour for the reply.

I applied on the last day, and was contacted the next day for psychometrics and online interview.
Online interview on the second day, and all psychometrics on the 3rd/last day allowed.
Received the xmas email and nothing else until I enquired this morning.
Though I was out of the race!!

SonofCoco
30th Mar 2017, 07:01
To answer some of the speculation..

May 02 is start date for both A330 and the first 787 course of DE SO's.

Congrats to all who are getting the good news! Good luck to all still waiting.

amateur
30th Mar 2017, 07:23
I'm assuming under the EBA this would then mean all new hires on subsequent courses will be on the 787 fleet.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
30th Mar 2017, 07:48
I'm assuming under the EBA this would then mean all new hires on subsequent courses will be on the 787 fleet.

I don't think that that's necessarily true.

amateur
30th Mar 2017, 08:00
I thought that to address the problem with the 'first day lottery' all new hires would be directed to the 787 which would become the entry level fleet? Unless of course circumstances necessitated otherwise and the unions agreed. I could be completely wrong though...

Beer Baron
30th Mar 2017, 11:08
amateur, you are quite correct. The specific wording says:
unless agreed otherwise with the Association for operational reasons. The Association will not unreasonably withhold agreement.
I would expect that in this case they have Association approval.

There is not enough sim space available to train 2 courses a month on the 787 and more crew are still required on the A330 to back-fill what is expected to be significant training movement off the 330 in the new training year.

Forcing Qantas not to employ onto the A330 would have the undesired effect of preventing other crew from getting promoted as there would be no one to fill their previous position and disadvantage new joiners by delaying their employment.

Additionally, the only crew who would be theoretically disadvantaged would be new 787 S/O's who would be more senior to later joining 330 S/O's. However, for the first 18 months in the company Qantas can ignore seniority and allocate a pilot to whatever aircraft they like. So there can be no disadvantaged party for the first 18 months after the 787 starts flying.

This is just my assumption mind you.

Derfred
30th Mar 2017, 13:46
How is QF supposed to fill A330 vacancies if they can't recruit onto it?

ruprecht
30th Mar 2017, 22:41

747-400 RIN?

goodonyamate
30th Mar 2017, 23:26
Expect a handful of direct entry to the 400.

Tankengine
31st Mar 2017, 00:19
Expect a handful of direct entry to the 400.
I would think some 330 SOs would move to 400 if needed and be replaced by direct entry on 330.

SonofCoco
31st Mar 2017, 00:20
I had heard the DESO 744 rumour..I would jump at the chance to fly the 747!

Not that I'm so choosy..

maggot
31st Mar 2017, 00:52
I had heard the DESO 744 rumour..I would jump at the chance to fly the 747!

Not that I'm so choosy..
Exotic santiago! ;)

DirectAnywhere
31st Mar 2017, 04:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfred
747-400 RIN?

Yeah, we're overdue for a 747 S/O RIN given that we've just retrained 10 or SOs onto the 747; the same pilots who were RIN'd to the 330 18 months ago. Oh, and let's not mention the dozen or so FOs pulled off the 330 to replace the FOs RINed off the 747 unnecessarily, who then also had to be replaced, costing the company millions. Don't start the APU too early though. Dickheads.

Keg
31st Mar 2017, 06:29
I did hear one line of thought that all RIN costs were put down under the 'transformation' bucket of money. Therefore not a direct cost to Flight Ops. That would at least explain some of the RIN lunacy. I can list 3 A330 Captains and 1 737 Captain straight up who had less than a dozen landings post training as F/Os on the A380 after being RIN'd off the 767- less than 6 months. I can think of another two who would have had only a year on the A380 as F/Os before retraining on the A330.

Such a waste.

The The
31st Mar 2017, 07:42
I did hear one line of thought that all RIN costs were put down under the 'transformation' bucket of money. Therefore not a direct cost to Flight Ops. That would at least explain some of the RIN lunacy. I can list 3 A330 Captains and 1 737 Captain straight up who had less than a dozen landings post training as F/Os on the A380 after being RIN'd off the 767- less than 6 months. I can think of another two who would have had only a year on the A380 as F/Os before retraining on the A330.

Such a waste.

Those now A330 Captains were also very fortunate that the A380 FO RIN process enabled them to get A330 Commands out of seniority. The lottery doesn't end at day 1!

V-Jet
31st Mar 2017, 10:10
I did hear one line of thought that all RIN costs were put down under the 'transformation' bucket of money. Therefore not a direct cost to Flight Ops.

Dear God in Heaven. For any of you that don't get into QF, I could not paint a more accurate picture of the world you dodged a bullet on than that. Greasy pole climbing in the face of any reality you might care to imagine.

For those that make it, the best of luck - I do sincerely hope you enjoy it. What 'they' want is the blind obedience that is the cornerstone of every financial and empire disaster that has befallen those far greater than Joycie boy. And incidentally, the antithesis of any 'sound' flight deck operation.

DirectAnywhere
31st Mar 2017, 11:15
I did hear one line of thought that all RIN costs were put down under the 'transformation' bucket of money. Therefore not a direct cost to Flight Ops.
That would explain FltOps management's cavalier attitude towards the whole thing. The net cost effect is unchanged (in the millions if not tens of millions) but their KPIs were safe. Where's that engagement survey? I stand by my initial assessment. Welcome aboard the ship of fools me hearties.

Keg
31st Mar 2017, 13:14
Dear God in Heaven. For any of you that don't get into QF, I could not paint a more accurate picture of the world you dodged a bullet on than that. Greasy pole climbing in the face of any reality you might care to imagine.

Just trying to work out if I've misinterpreted something here? Are you suggesting I think this was justifiable, logical or sensible; or were you commenting more generically on some of the strange calls that Qantas makes when they're accounting money to suit their purposes?

The the, yes. Like JA jagging an A380 command slot at a time when he may not have been otherwise able to, the various RINs brought up a number of unpredictable outcomes. As far as I could tell there were two 737 Captains affected by that particular A380 F/O RIN. They checked to line 5-7 months behind me. Those A330 command slots also prevented a further 4 A380 F/Os from being forcibly moved to the A330 as F/Os so as is usual with RINs, some people win pretty big, some win a little, some don't win at all.

Directanywhere, agreed.

Fonz121
2nd Apr 2017, 12:13
So, just for a bit of a laugh I applied to q-link for the FO position.

Did their testing, seemed harder than mainline but some questions were the same.

Got an invite for interview.

The quantity and quality of applicants for mainline are invariably going to be higher than Link so the bar will be set higher for psych results.

Flyboy1987
3rd Apr 2017, 04:49
So, just for a bit of a laugh I applied to q-link for the FO position.

You applied as a joke?
Am I missing something?

JimletG1000
3rd Apr 2017, 09:12
Wouldn't it be a real laugh if you took time off work, spent money on prep, flights and accommodation and then you got a no because you are too arrogant? You could report back and we could all have a good chuckle.

#nailedit 😂

V-Jet
3rd Apr 2017, 21:59
Just trying to work out if I've misinterpreted something here? Are you suggesting I think this was justifiable, logical or sensible; or were you commenting more generically on some of the strange calls that Qantas makes when they're accounting money to suit their purposes?

No - I didn't think you thought it was justifiable, logical or sensible (only someone profiting from it personally would think that!). I was pointing out that this type of lunacy is merely the tip of the iceberg. Their bizarre accounting techniques create bonuses but are a window onto a far greater malaise. They don't think they are running an airline, they certainly don't care about the brand or the aircraft - those in charge are interested in two primary goals, maintaining their jobs and increasing their power/wealth. Nothing else matters.

Tuck Mach
3rd Apr 2017, 22:19
Their bizarre accounting techniques create bonuses but are a window onto a far greater malaise

A quick look at their narrative exposes that, the industrial campaign of 'terminal decline' in 2011 was quietly matched with a whole bunch of share options for insiders...

When the fleet write down (all permissible under AASB- at management discretion) ensured that the on paper loss would be massive, most myopic financially illiterate unions fell for it leaving their members pay frozen. Then options amazingly vested....

With the remaining pilots subject to BS with uniform/dress standards that strangely don't apply when the HR wanders aimlessly, hoping for relevance, is it any wonder the recruiting process is sub optimal? It is a battle for relevance.

xaos03
4th Apr 2017, 03:25
Wondering on peoples thoughts and apologies in advanced if someone in the same position as myself has already posted. Currently in the application process at present for SO position where my assessment day and sim check are complete.

I was then emailed asking for medical and reference checks to be done and the medical is close to being completed and reference checks are done. The only thing left to do (I think) is I require some vaccination boosters to complete the medical and a psych check.

Being located remotely I have spent god knows how much money going back and forth..more so time spent away from work which I will have to do again (definitely not the bosses favourite at the moment). I hate asking dumb questions but would I be more on the last legs of the application process and are signs pointing to a yes making it this far? Anyone made it this far and gotten a no? Guess my thought process is to give the boss as much of an update as possible.