PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Recruitment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]

On Guard
13th Dec 2023, 18:16
Anyone heard back since doing the SHL test last round? Been over 2 weeks and still haven't heard back yet

Hopefully a good thing if you haven’t heard.

On a side note what month courses are they filling? Must be near the end of hold pool now.

Swept-Wing
14th Dec 2023, 14:04
On a side note what month courses are they filling? Must be near the end of hold pool now.

March courses have been filled and there will be no more allocations for the remainder of the year.

SixDemonBag
14th Dec 2023, 23:58
March courses have been filled and there will be no more allocations for the remainder of the year.

sure about that?

morno
15th Dec 2023, 00:42

I would be very surprised if that were the case, given the rumoured training allocations for next year.

Chad Gates
15th Dec 2023, 01:07
Surely Swept-Wing means, no more allocations to 2024 classes for the rest of THIS year, which would make sense.

Swept-Wing
15th Dec 2023, 01:07
Sorry, poorly worded.
What I meant is Talent Aquisition is finished for 2023 and no more calls in December will go out for April starts Etc.

AQIS Boigu
15th Dec 2023, 04:49
Emails just went out…

VH-RME
15th Dec 2023, 17:00
“There are no available time slots at this time. You can check later to see if additional time slots are available.”

Is everyone else getting the same message? Saw a good chunk of slots across Feb to May earlier this afternoon right after the email went out but not anymore. Surely you'd think not every single slot has been snapped up in the last 12 hours, but guess I could be wrong

captainhan
16th Dec 2023, 02:25
Hi all,
sorry to take the thread in a slightly different direction, but can someone give me some insight into the following.
If one decides to accept a S/O wide body position, how long would you be expected to hold that position before upgrade to f/o. I understand it all works on seniority and only when positions open up etc.
Just curious what the historical data shows what to expect.

morno
16th Dec 2023, 02:48
Hi all,
sorry to take the thread in a slightly different direction, but can someone give me some insight into the following.
If one decides to accept a S/O wide body position, how long would you be expected to hold that position before upgrade to f/o. I understand it all works on seniority and only when positions open up etc.
Just curious what the historical data shows what to expect.

Mate I know the thread is looooooong, but it’s been discussed many times before. The short of it is you can be a 737 FO from day 1, or you could wait 4-6 years for a widebody FO.

Historical data is probably not applicable anymore because there are so many changes happening and so many retirements in the next 10 years

soseg
16th Dec 2023, 08:37
Mate I know the thread is looooooong, but it’s been discussed many times before. The short of it is you can be a 737 FO from day 1, or you could wait 4-6 years for a widebody FO.

Historical data is probably not applicable anymore because there are so many changes happening and so many retirements in the next 10 years

7 years for a330 FO at the moment. Not 4. Don’t spin crap on here. You’re QF morno. Give accurate figures.

A very, very small amount of people made 330 FO PER back in 2019 who started in late 2016. Count them on one hand.

At the moment it’s 7 years. Will it drop further next year? Maybe.

morno
16th Dec 2023, 11:01
7 years for a330 FO at the moment. Not 4. Don’t spin crap on here. You’re QF morno. Give accurate figures.

A very, very small amount of people made 330 FO PER back in 2019 who started in late 2016. Count them on one hand.

At the moment it’s 7 years. Will it drop further next year? Maybe.

Yes, 7 years now, but with the amount of movement forecast, I’d be willing to bet it’ll come down to 4-6 maybe for a bit.

Mr787X
17th Dec 2023, 07:16
Sorry, poorly worded.
What I meant is Talent Aquisition is finished for 2023 and no more calls in December will go out for April starts Etc.

Is this for all QF group airlines or just mainline? And I guess they come back Jan 2nd or something like that?

Chris2303
17th Dec 2023, 07:30
Is this for all QF group airlines or just mainline? And I guess they come back Jan 2nd or something like that?

More like 15th or 22nd January LOL

soseg
17th Dec 2023, 07:48
Yes, 7 years now, but with the amount of movement forecast, I’d be willing to bet it’ll come down to 4-6 maybe for a bit.

They told me that in 2017. Believe it when I see it. Perhaps converting more a330s into freighters will help.

czechmate
17th Dec 2023, 17:48
They told me that in 2017. Believe it when I see it. Perhaps converting more a330s into freighters will help.

They told me that in 2008! Manage your expectations for career progression, my first chance at command is looking like 18 years seniority.

Swept-Wing
4th Jan 2024, 13:29
Hey Makiko, you’re gonna love this:

Please note, Internal candidates are no longer required to complete SHL testing.

Makiko
4th Jan 2024, 13:48
why would i remotely care

just pointed out how it had worked since 2016 almost a decade now

& how internals up until now who scored high started up to two years earlier & seven figures higher career earnings

dont even know why sim for externals everyone passes

mainline interview guys must be stoked all internals despite bottom of bell curve hiilbilly test ability get a job

where does this word of god come from anyway

think you would heed something a little more substantive than a bitchy bb to accept qf dropping test after using em as bible for 45 plus years

morno
4th Jan 2024, 21:16
Man if that isn’t a dummy spit, I don’t know what is.

Another example of an impending shortage, dropping more requirements to get in.

Gnadenburg
4th Jan 2024, 23:49
The testing is a joke. So many cheat. You have to scoff at those that wear a badge- “ I did the QF selection process and am better than everyone else.”

You ain’t particularly special. And they’ll change it at a whim for industrial advantage because management know too, you ain’t particularly special.

MikeHatter732
4th Jan 2024, 23:58
makiko is just mad cause now he can't spruce his scam mates at PATS anymore. he went very quiet after all that came out (along with deleting all his posts referencing them) :E

mig3
5th Jan 2024, 00:40
The testing is a joke. So many cheat.
​​​​​​The online testing is invigilated and the individual results revalidated later.
​​​

Ladloy
5th Jan 2024, 06:59
​​​​​​The online testing is invigilated and the individual results revalidated later.
​​​
not anymore

Makiko
10th Jan 2024, 03:49
Online testing aptitude testing continues for internals
But you will will still proceed to interview if you get 1/5
Just expect a much longer wait at your Group Airline if that is your score
& For the "have a crack" brigade keep in mind that turning up to ML interview with a modest test score
probably isn't a great idea, as some internals do actually get rejected

Really don't know why QF don't publicise more how things actually work these days

Start at Group Airline do okay & you can pretty much do what you want after a couple of years

Swept-Wing
10th Jan 2024, 05:29
Online testing aptitude testing continues for internals
But you will will still proceed to interview if you get 1/5
Just expect a much longer wait at your Group Airline if that is your score
& For the "have a crack" brigade keep in mind that turning up to ML interview with a modest test score
probably isn't a great idea, as some internals do actually get rejected

Really don't know why QF don't publicise more how things actually work these days

Start at Group Airline do okay & you can pretty much do what you want after a couple of years

Wrong again Makiko

Internal candidates are no longer required to complete SHL testing

all internal candidates received this in writing from talent Aquisition.

Makiko
10th Jan 2024, 05:52
Not the guys I know SW and I know them from a few of the different group airlines

More misinformation it would seem from QF Recruitment team (PPrune)

Like all "The Gang" a few months back suggesting people join an external airline to get to ML

Really couldn't give more wayward advice

StudentInDebt
10th Jan 2024, 20:30
Not the guys I know SW and I know them from a few of the different group airlines

Like all "The Gang" a few months back suggesting people join an external airline to get to ML

Really couldn't give more wayward adviceIn the email internals receive progressing to the interview stage, it states that internal candidates are no longer required to compete SHL testing.

morno
11th Jan 2024, 02:00

Really couldn't give more wayward advice

Is that similar to your advice about doing the PATS stuff Makiko?

Skippy69
11th Jan 2024, 02:42
How many people get knocked back on the SHL testing? If you only need so little (1/5) why do it at all? Or are you saying that 20% of applicants get through for externals?

MikeHatter732
11th Jan 2024, 03:04

Sounds like great advice from "the gang". Everyone I know who was at Rex got in before internals that were on hold from previous recruitment drives.

spandexo
12th Jan 2024, 00:34
Does anyone have any idea when the first interviews are kicking off for 2024? i.e Late Jan, Feb?
Any ideas on when potential start dates for 2024 interviewees could commence?
Cheers

BEVLY9
15th Jan 2024, 12:11
Does anybody know if there was new assessment centre slots released today?

iBlueGoose
16th Jan 2024, 01:35
Does anyone have any idea when the first interviews are kicking off for 2024? i.e Late Jan, Feb?
Any ideas on when potential start dates for 2024 interviewees could commence?
Cheers
Interviews are kicking off from 18th of Jan.

On Guard
16th Jan 2024, 03:24
Interviews are kicking off from 18th of Jan.

Good luck to all.

Swept-Wing
16th Jan 2024, 09:10
Calls for April 2024 starts went out this week.

Parkender
17th Jan 2024, 04:44
Hi all,

Anyone know roughly when more interview slots will be released?

metro7
18th Jan 2024, 10:12
Rumour is the 15th of every month. Not sure if any were released this month.

Wetwilly
26th Jan 2024, 02:23
Just wondering, maybe I've missed it.

It sounds like the LH EBA will be up for negotiation again soon. Can anyone advise if there is talk of improving (amongst other things) the salary of the Second Officers on the new pay scale. Not really a liveable salary in the major ports.

How low do people think the A321 may go on the seniority list?

Thanks in advance!

SixDemonBag
26th Jan 2024, 07:10
Just wondering, maybe I've missed it.

It sounds like the LH EBA will be up for negotiation again soon. Can anyone advise if there is talk of improving (amongst other things) the salary of the Second Officers on the new pay scale. Not really a liveable salary in the major ports.

Thanks in advance!

That ship only recently just sailed and it might not be coming back for a while.

Plenty of SH slots available in most ports, that pay in excess of LH SO rates though. Just saying

Username here
26th Jan 2024, 08:12
That ship only recently just sailed and it might not be coming back for a while.

What ‘ship has only recently just sailed?’

Didn’t AIPA put up a court challenge to the B scale? That’s probably a better shot than them negotiating an increase for the new Second Officers. Especially noting that they still haven’t even got a sim or qualified any trainers on the A350.

Surely the longer it goes the stronger a case gets….

dr dre
26th Jan 2024, 08:50

As long as they keep getting application numbers well in excess of positions available then there’s no incentive to increase pay. I’ve heard about 1000 applicants for 200 positions to be interviewed throughout this year

For F/O? Probably the same as 737. So within a year or so for most.

VH-RME
26th Jan 2024, 09:27
As long as they keep getting application numbers well in excess of positions available then there’s no incentive to increase pay. I’ve heard about 1000 applicants for 200 positions to be interviewed throughout this year.

Is that out of those given assessment centre slots? In other words, if you have an assessment centre date, what is the chance of ending up with a start date?

SixDemonBag
26th Jan 2024, 10:24
What ‘ship has only recently just sailed?’

Didn’t AIPA put up a court challenge to the B scale? That’s probably a better shot than them negotiating an increase for the new Second Officers. Especially noting that they still haven’t even got a sim or qualified any trainers on the A350.

Surely the longer it goes the stronger a case gets….

same job, same pay - aside, the concession was given away on the last EBA. That’s the ship I was referring to. Court proceedings will only delay the inevitable…when the plane actually NEEDS pilots to be trained on it.

dr dre
27th Jan 2024, 08:20
Is that out of those given assessment centre slots? In other words, if you have an assessment centre date, what is the chance of ending up with a start date?

No I believe that’s total applicants. Not all applicants would get the go ahead to start the assessment process, and not all of those who are assessed will make it to the hold file. But I’m not sure how many got invited to be assessed.

mattandy
28th Jan 2024, 07:46
Hi everyone, does anyone know when QF will put the call out for Sydney based domestic cabin crew applications?

SixDemonBag
28th Jan 2024, 08:55
Hi everyone, does anyone know when QF will put the call out for Sydney based domestic cabin crew applications?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/480x400/image_51fedf26d3d216c84e51d94986941fa8c7a7089a.gif

Hello123
30th Jan 2024, 22:10
Is there a future in mainline short haul? Qantas currently has 75 737s that are being replaced by a confirmed 20 A320s. With the current recruitment taking pilots direct to the 737 what will happen to the excess short haul pilots as the 737 fleet is reduced?

dr dre
31st Jan 2024, 02:27
Is there a future in mainline short haul? Qantas currently has 75 737s that are being replaced by a confirmed 20 A320s. With the current recruitment taking pilots direct to the 737 what will happen to the excess short haul pilots as the 737 fleet is reduced?

QF is currently hiring 1500 pilots over 10 years. Take out the amount of projected retirements and expansion of LH flying with the Sunrise aircraft and that stills leaves several hundred excess pilots, so they aren’t going to remove 70% of SH flying out of the system.

There’s 134 combined narrowbody replacements and terminals aren’t big enough for them to be all A220s so I expect more 321XLRs to be ordered in future years to cope with this.

SixDemonBag
31st Jan 2024, 02:27
They’ll probably go fly more 321’s. The current 737 fleet wasn’t ordered in one hit of 75. The 330 wasn’t. The 787’s weren’t. The 350 isn’t even here and it’s been ordered in stages. Why would the 321 be any different?

Probably a good chance to fly the a220 too 🤪

aussieflyboy
31st Jan 2024, 02:58
Probably a good chance to fly the a220 too 🤪

As long as you don’t mind the 40% pay cut, 65 hour overtime limit and paxing in the middle row down the back…

chuq
31st Jan 2024, 05:50
Just saw today that on the official Qantas Website that a lot of the flight time minimums have been dropped for positions at Q-link, Network, and Jetstar. Q link and Network are now just 500 TT, Jetstar is also 500 with only 200 ME. Provided I had all of my ATPL theory subjects done and out of the way, what are the chances someone at, or slightly above, the minimums gets hired in these positions or as a SO at Qantas?

Ollie Onion
31st Jan 2024, 08:11
Quite high ate the moment, they don’t have anywhere near enough applicants to fill the roles.

Beer Baron
31st Jan 2024, 10:01
Provided I had all of my ATPL theory subjects done and out of the way, what are the chances someone at, or slightly above, the minimums gets hired in these positions or as a SO at Qantas?
Can’t speak for the others but I see the S/O positions at Qantas state:
Preference will be given to candidates that meet or exceed the following experience levels:

2000 hours Total Time
500 hours Multi-Engine
Multi- Crew Experience

I’ve not flown with a new S/O with any less than the above for several years now, so probably unlikely.

aussieflyboy
31st Jan 2024, 10:02
Someone remind me what the minimum hours is to fly a passenger jet in the US is and why…

framer
31st Jan 2024, 10:04
1500 hours because they don’t train em like the Europeans do.

BEVLY9
31st Jan 2024, 10:48
1500 hours because ALPA leveraged the Colgan Air incident to improve pilot conditions and played the long game in terms of pilot supply

StudentInDebt
31st Jan 2024, 13:34
Someone remind me what the minimum hours is to fly a passenger jet in the US is and why…Because 2 pilots, who both exceeded the minimums now in place by some margin and both held ATPs, stalled and crashed a dash 8?

Climb150
31st Jan 2024, 17:52
Because 2 pilots, who both exceeded the minimums now in place by some margin and both held ATPs, stalled and crashed a dash 8?
How many times must this be explained?

The 1500 hours is because when you have experience you won't work for free.

It was more about getting pilots at regionals a living wage so they would not be sleeping in crew rooms after they just travelled for 10 hours to work cause they live in their parents basement. They did this cause they didn't get paid enough to live in the city they were based.

​​​​​​Fatigue was a major factor in the crash.
​​​​​

StudentInDebt
1st Feb 2024, 00:13
How many times must this be explained?

The 1500 hours is because when you have experience you won't work for free.

It was more about getting pilots at regionals a living wage so they would not be sleeping in crew rooms after they just travelled for 10 hours to work cause they live in their parents basement. They did this cause they didn't get paid enough to live in the city they were based.

​​​​​​Fatigue was a major factor in the crash.
​​​​​Absolutely. But I don’t think this was the point the author was trying to make with their comment.

Climb150
1st Feb 2024, 01:42
Absolutely. But I don’t think this was the point the author was trying to make with their comment.

student in debt

You were hinting that both pilots in the accident had 1500 hours so the rule isn't really necessary. Or was your point something else?

BO0M
1st Feb 2024, 03:29
So let me get this straight......Australian pilots complain about their pays in relation to American T&Cs but the USA have a 1500 hour rule that Australians here are complaining about. However that rule in part has helped regional and therefore mainlines to achieve better T&Cs for all.

That ladies and gentleman (or whatever you bl00dy identify as) is why the US is the best place for pilots on earth (generally).

Skippy69
1st Feb 2024, 04:32
Bit off topic here with the talk of the US, let's straighten this puppy out and back to what the thread is about.

Now, how do I not F up my upcoming interview??? What are the do's and don'ts?

soseg
1st Feb 2024, 06:32
Bit off topic here with the talk of the US, let's straighten this puppy out and back to what the thread is about.

Now, how do I not F up my upcoming interview??? What are the do's and don'ts?

Don’t tell them how awesome you are. Don’t tell them you were first in your class in grade 6. Don’t come dressed in casual clothes.

Yeah… all the above has happened in the last two years.

On Guard
1st Feb 2024, 10:44
Don’t tell them how awesome you are. Don’t tell them you were first in your class in grade 6. Don’t come dressed in casual clothes.

Yeah… all the above has happened in the last two years.

Don’t turn up 35 minutes late and not say a word about it. Happened in my group 🤔. Just prepare your SAR format scenarios. All very nice people.

dejapoo
1st Feb 2024, 10:52
Don’t talk about how you drink drive in your home in an Asian country or how you pay for sexualiss, whilst standing next to the recruiter at the coffee shop. Never to be seen again…

soseg
2nd Feb 2024, 03:20
Don’t talk about how you drink drive in your home in an Asian country or how you pay for sexualiss, whilst standing next to the recruiter at the coffee shop. Never to be seen again…

Please do tell more! This one sounds good!

itsnotthatbloodyhard
2nd Feb 2024, 08:17
Please do tell more! This one sounds good!

Yes, do tell. (I’d also like to know what sexualiss is, I suspect I’ve been missing out.)

framer
2nd Feb 2024, 08:40
I’d also like to know what sexualiss is, I suspect I’ve been missing out.
Its so good man, me and my missus have got into it recently and we’re both pretty stoked.

dejapoo
2nd Feb 2024, 09:18
Sexualises is when a man (or a they/them with XY chromosomes) likes a woman, and by woman I mean a modern day one with a beard… they remove their clothes and well you get the gist…

framer
2nd Feb 2024, 09:40
Scratch that, we’ve done nothing of the sort.

SouthernSky
4th Feb 2024, 04:54
Circling back to the post from Chuq about the new minimum requirements from Jetstar (500 TT and 200 Multi-crew) if anyone has any light to shed on this.

I currently fly BAe Jetstream 32 in New Zealand as an FO. with 800TT and 500 hours multi crew experience and am considering doing my Aus ATPL exams in the hopes of applying in 6 months time with around 1000tt. My question is whether this is a reasonable pathway or weather I'm wasting my time as the requirements are so low it seems its too easy and I'm missing something. Can anyone chime in as to whether these requirements are actually what they're hiring at or just there to attract more diamonds amongst the rough?

Alternatively I have an interview with Air New Zealand coming up in 2 months, however this is of course for another turboprop FO position compared to a jet. Not sure if it's worth while trying to pursue the Jetstar option.

Noting that I'm actively trying to move to Aus either way, whether that be in the next 6 months or after a 1-2 year stint at Air New Zealand to get my ATPL licence.

high_flyer747
4th Feb 2024, 09:12
Anyone know when next round of applications open up?

morno
4th Feb 2024, 10:01
Given that they have barely started the process for the last round of applications, I’m going to go with not for a long time yet. Maybe next year.

Spudly
13th Feb 2024, 10:34
Someone told me recently new hires at JQ are looking at 7-8 years to get to ML - is this true?

skypilot646
13th Feb 2024, 19:24
Anyone know when next round of applications open up?

18 months apparently

YellowSnowman
15th Feb 2024, 22:43
Has anyone had any success throughout late 2023 and early 2024 in securing an 'assessment day'.
I have not had any luck for the last 3 months using this 'self-schedule' system to secure a slot.
Supposedly more 'slots' are released on the 15th of each month? Ive been on it consistently through the month and all day each 15th with no joy.
I've had correspondence saying there are up to 400 internal applicants trying?
I thought an external hire and internals would've been a different stream?
Any advice or info appreciated.

friendly lurker
17th Feb 2024, 22:13
Has anyone had any success throughout late 2023 and early 2024 in securing an 'assessment day'.
I have not had any luck for the last 3 months using this 'self-schedule' system to secure a slot.
Supposedly more 'slots' are released on the 15th of each month? Ive been on it consistently through the month and all day each 15th with no joy.
I've had correspondence saying there are up to 400 internal applicants trying?
I thought an external hire and internals would've been a different stream?
Any advice or info appreciated.

Just nabbed one for early December yesterday. It's going to be a long year!

YellowSnowman
18th Feb 2024, 19:08
Just nabbed one for early December yesterday. It's going to be a long year!

Terrible timing on my post, I got one that day at midday when they released more. Strange system though!

AQIS Boigu
18th Feb 2024, 19:49
That is Insane! So essentially anyone who has just applied or is about to apply for J* is not getting an assessment date until next year? Is that the same case with Qlink?

I believe this thread is about QF Mainline recruitment, not JQ or QF Link

SouthernSky
24th Feb 2024, 22:59
Does anyone have any insight into the reduced entry requirements of Jetstar NZ and AU and also Qantas Freight / EFA? I would assume that if they have had to reduce requirements from 1500 TT to 500TT that they are actually running very low? or is this a long standing flow on effect as everyone tries to move over to mainline?

ReBjorn
28th Feb 2024, 22:58
Heard for a while there people were able to get 737 on Day 2. Curious what the current wait guestimate would be for East coast FO?

pondoklabu
28th Feb 2024, 23:13
You have to wait a total of 60 mins . In fact if you tell the interviewer you would very interested in East coast 737 F/O. It can bring your start date forward

soseg
29th Feb 2024, 01:54
And make 30k a year more after tax for working twice as hard on the 737

A320 Flyer
29th Feb 2024, 02:55
The 737 is not all that bad…. Both LH and SH have their good and bad points…. But they are the best respective agreements in the country

ScepticalOptomist
29th Feb 2024, 03:13
And make 30k a year more after tax for working twice as hard on the 737

Worth it for most people. Sitting as an SO is a cruisy job, no doubt, but for those who want some satisfaction from their work you can’t beat a window seat.

Australopithecus
29th Feb 2024, 04:04
Hmmm. I fly with people who have done both seats and it’s probably. 60:40 regrets for coming to shorthaul. There are many good reasons to bid the 737, but career progression isn’t one of them, unless you are thinking of changing employers one day.

Be careful what you wish for.

dr dre
29th Feb 2024, 04:45
Hmmm. I fly with people who have done both seats and it’s probably. 60:40 regrets for coming to shorthaul. There are many good reasons to bid the 737, but career progression isn’t one of them, unless you are thinking of changing employers one day.

Be careful what you wish for.

It depends on what you see as benefits (I assume from S/O to F/O)

SH will be higher paid, less jet lag, less BoC, more time at home, more flexibility in the award, and you’ll probably find your skill and awareness level will be enhanced by the speed of the operation - will come in handy when command training rolls around. You’ll also be able to get to a window seat about 6 years quicker than staying in LH.

The two groups who would be advantaged by staying in LH are those with a lengthy commute, or those who like having a lot of time off in slip ports somewhere. I know S/Os who run businesses remotely while away on trips.

Australopithecus
29th Feb 2024, 06:06
The current 330/350 travesty of justice award for S/Os would probably tip the scales for many people to the 737. Not so for the senior fleets, but of course a new hire is unlikely to get the A380.

I think that it’s probably 10+ years to a long haul F/O job for a new hire. That’s a long time to be on the shorthaul terms and conditions. I flew with someone three weeks ago who had exactly two weeks in shorthaul and they hated it. After counselling them I was able to assure them that it was worse than they thought. All part of the service.

SandyPalms
29th Feb 2024, 06:12
Rubbish. The 73 is hands down the best fun you can have in QF flying an airplane. 2 weeks? Bottom of the PSN. Ensure them that in about 6 months they won't know themselves. Every bid period, life gets better, and it only gets worse, once. I've always found that the desire to move from the 73 is directly propotional to the position on the squirrel cage.
Don't listen to the naysayers, it's awesome.

dr dre
29th Feb 2024, 06:32
As the last two posts demonstrate there’s a wide variety of opinions. There’s both SH and LH lifers, and those who’ve spent time both hauls. It all depends on your circumstances at the time to what you prefer and after spending a lot of time in one haul you would be probably be willing for a change.

But the benefit is that you get a choice, you can switch fleets when your freezes and seniority deem fit.

Wetwilly
29th Feb 2024, 07:59
Hear time to SH FO was around 5 years???

I couldn't imagine a new hire 330/350 SO would earn anywhere near that of a SH FO?Been thinking the new hire SO would be around 140K after allowances??

Happy to hear otherwise!

dr dre
29th Feb 2024, 08:21
Hear time to SH FO was around 5 years???

Was - years ago. Now it’s pretty much day one if you SYD or MEL and maybe a year or so for BNE/PER, they aren’t putting any F/Os into ADL at the moment is the base is still too big.

I couldn't imagine a new hire 330/350 SO would earn anywhere near that of a SH FO?Been thinking the new hire SO would be around 140K after allowances??

Happy to hear otherwise!

Both EAs available online. The SO figure is accurate, on the 73 you can make over $200k on first year rates at a typical roster build. Some FO’s picking up extra work will gross north of $250k plus allowances.

If you take the 73 you’re frozen for 4 years but currently a 6 year wait to LH FO.

soseg
29th Feb 2024, 12:04
Was - years ago. Now it’s pretty much day one if you SYD or MEL and maybe a year or so for BNE/PER, they aren’t putting any F/Os into ADL at the moment is the base is still too big.

Both EAs available online. The SO figure is accurate, on the 73 you can make over $200k on first year rates at a typical roster build. Some FO’s picking up extra work will gross north of $250k plus allowances.

If you take the 73 you’re frozen for 4 years but currently a 6 year wait to LH FO.

Well under a year for Perth 737.
You can't earn under 200k as a 737 FO. Just won't happen with having reserve call outs etc. Plenty year4 FOs going north of 300 this FY with the bonus

Swept-Wing
29th Feb 2024, 21:43
Well under a year for Perth 737.
You can't earn under 200k as a 737 FO. Just won't happen with having reserve call outs etc. Plenty year4 FOs going north of 300 this FY with the bonus

I have also heard of first year SO’s (787) cracking 200

SandyPalms
29th Feb 2024, 23:03
I have also heard of first year SO’s (787) cracking 200

Good on them, but that wouldn't be doing "half the work" of the 73 guys, they'd have to be working, or at least away for significant time to get that. The 73 guy could be home every night. Its all a choice, and we are so lucky to have it.

soseg
1st Mar 2024, 00:34
Good on them, but that wouldn't be doing "half the work" of the 73 guys, they'd have to be working, or at least away for significant time to get that. The 73 guy could be home every night. Its all a choice, and we are so lucky to have it.

Home every night?

Whats that?

Im away half a week every wever without name in book. If i offer to do extra make it 4 to 5 nights a week away.

dr dre
1st Mar 2024, 00:50
Most trips are 1, 2 and 3 days, some of the internationals are up to 5 days, this will probably increase as SH transitions to the 321.

At the bottom of the squirrel cage expect 9/10 nights away from home, and if day trips are your thing at the top of the rotation you can spend every night at home for months.

Overall it’ll even out to an average 4/5 nights away per roster.

dejapoo
1st Mar 2024, 01:56
Home every night?

Whats that?

Im away half a week every wever without name in book. If i offer to do extra make it 4 to 5 nights a week away.

Horse ****!

Big Silver Spoon
1st Mar 2024, 02:04
Horse ****!

Shorthaul spends more TAFB than longhaul.

Thanks to the ‘regional partners’ and low paid subsidiaries.

aussieflyboy
1st Mar 2024, 02:24
Shorthaul spends more TAFB than longhaul.

Thanks to the ‘regional partners’ and low paid subsidiaries.

How is it a subsidiaries fault that you’re doing too many overnights for your liking? Most of these businesses were smaller Aussie companies that grew bigger and Qantas bought. It’s not their fault it’s Qantas Managements fault that you’re unhappy.

Australopithecus
1st Mar 2024, 02:51
Back in the day, before outsourcing, 4-day trips were common. I used to spend 12 nights away. I did get to meet some swell divorce lawyers though.

Fujiroll76
2nd Mar 2024, 00:51
Most 787 SO’s would be grossing 200k this FY. This would include approx 25k in allowances.
650 hours on avg

380 SO’s (on the good contract) would be similar upwards to 250k - given lower divisors and oversupply at the moment.

737 - 250k seems reasonable. There’s no
point staying on the 787 after year 4 - either 380 or SH to have the ability to earn more.

Spudly
3rd Mar 2024, 09:40
Quite high ate the moment, they don’t have anywhere near enough applicants to fill the roles.

Based on that, what are the chances they’ll consider someone with say 3-4 ATPL exams completed (and still within the window to finish the rest) with ~2000hrs?

Seems odd to drop the flying/command experience in favour of holding the line on theory. I recall a time where QLK hired with AHUF only.

LivingtheDream46
4th Mar 2024, 00:12
A Network FO gets $107k no allowances, FDP, no overtime (for anyone wanting to compare with the worst f**'ing job in the Qantas group).

Hank Schrader
4th Mar 2024, 01:38
Any chance someone can post a typical SO 787 roster for year one ?

Many Thanks
Hank.

Fujiroll76
4th Mar 2024, 10:01
Any chance someone can post a typical SO 787 roster for year one ?

Many Thanks
Hank.

Expect 5-6 trips ranging from 4-6 days away.
If there’s a JFK in the roster (10 days) expect 3-4 5-6 day trips

Martinflyer
11th Mar 2024, 02:34
For any external candidates that did the first round of interviews in January/February this year and got the nod, has anyone had a start date or expected time frame yet?

Vacation
11th Mar 2024, 22:58
A Network FO gets $107k no allowances, FDP, no overtime (for anyone wanting to compare with the worst f**'ing job in the Qantas group).

Dunno, efa is up there

engine out
12th Mar 2024, 07:15
Don’t know about start dates. Talking to the recruiters recently and told still 30 on hold file from last round of recruitment. Interviews from this round will go on 3-4 days a week until December, possibly longer. New courses every two to four weeks. Interestingly despite the hype of Atlas and other U.S freight carriers over 100 applicants from them.

Swept-Wing
12th Mar 2024, 07:28
June courses went out today.

dr dre
14th Mar 2024, 01:57
Don’t know about start dates. Talking to the recruiters recently and told still 30 on hold file from last round of recruitment. Interviews from this round will go on 3-4 days a week until December, possibly longer. New courses every two to four weeks. Interestingly despite the hype of Atlas and other U.S freight carriers over 100 applicants from them.

Not surprised. FedEx asking their pilots to go fly CRJs for regional airlines, UPS offering VR, the Covid freight boom ended once all the spare freight capacity in passenger aircraft that hadn't been flying during Covid returned. Any chance of a quick 747 command looks bleak. Plus Atlas's rosters seem horrific, 2+ weeks away with multiple short slips and BoC multi sector nights. And that's without even factoring the commuting in if you don't want to live in places like Cincinnati Ohio.

QF LH is a dream by comparison. The only real down side is time to LH F/O and command, but at least LH F/O is coming quicker these days.

abaderrr
14th Mar 2024, 02:22
Not surprised. FedEx asking their pilots to go fly CRJs for regional airlines, UPS offering VR, the Covid freight boom ended once all the spare freight capacity in passenger aircraft that hadn't been flying during Covid returned. Any chance of a quick 747 command looks bleak. Plus Atlas's rosters seem horrific, 2+ weeks away with multiple short slips and BoC multi sector nights. And that's without even factoring the commuting in if you don't want to live in places like Cincinnati Ohio.

QF LH is a dream by comparison. The only real down side is time to LH F/O and command, but at least LH F/O is coming quicker these days.

What on earth are you talking about? A two week+ pattern would be entirely bid for. Most guys who live in base, opt for 4-5 day swings. I’ve just finished 9 days on into 10 days off at Atlas, commuted to and from in Business. Of that pattern I operated 3 individual sectors, including 63 hours in Hanoi. I’ve never stepped foot into Cincinnati, with basings including LA, New York, Miami, Chicago etc while clearing closer to a QF LH skipper than an FO, in process. Not blowing smoke, merely retorting your bs.

No job is perfect but I don’t think anyone who isn't at QF trying to justify their existence, would look at it as “a dream”.

dr dre
14th Mar 2024, 02:28
No job is perfect but I don’t think anyone who isn't at QF trying to justify their existence, would look at it as “a dream”.

Well having flown long haul and seeing their patterns they are more fatiguing than a lot of other jobs on offer. I guess the flow of pilots one way or the other is the true barometer of attractiveness of the job. If the post above is to be believed then it seems the pendulum is swinging somewhat back towards returning to Australia.

morno
14th Mar 2024, 02:34
Dre I do wonder, have you ever worked overseas? Everything I read from you is always saying that Australia is where it’s at, the rest of the world is rubbish.

Having worked overseas, I can tell you now, if it weren’t for my individual circumstances, I’d be over there! Australia is rubbish

MikeHatter732
14th Mar 2024, 03:12
Not to mention, 100 is a very small number compared to the amount of Aussies over there.

The majority are loving it, and have no desire to return to the horrible aviation environment that is Australia anytime soon

dr dre
14th Mar 2024, 03:41
m

Having worked overseas, I can tell you now, if it weren’t for my individual circumstances, I’d be over there! Australia is rubbish

Why then is QF (the topic of this thread btw) always massively oversubscribed for recruitment? By a ratio of 4-5x as many positions as required? And it is uncommon to hear of mainline pilots resigning for other work.

Let me be clear, I mean mainline only, not the other outfits which have obviously inferior conditions. The benefits of overseas vs subsidiaries is apparent. Apparently according to Crikey news 5 NAA pilots resigned just this week. That’s almost unheard of in mainline despite being much larger.

MartyMcflyface
14th Mar 2024, 03:54
Why then is QF (the topic of this thread btw) always massively oversubscribed for recruitment? By a ratio of 4-5x as many positions as required? And it is uncommon to hear of mainline pilots resigning for other work.

Let me be clear, I mean mainline only, not the other outfits which have obviously inferior conditions. The benefits of overseas vs subsidiaries is apparent. Apparently according to Crikey news 5 NAA pilots resigned just this week. That’s almost unheard of in mainline despit

Perhaps because it is the only job to aspire to in the country. But if you set foot outside the Australian aviation bubble, you will see that it is not that great and there are many excellent opportunities to be found overseas.

Big Silver Spoon
14th Mar 2024, 03:57
Perhaps because it is the only job to aspire to in the country. But if you set foot outside the Australian aviation bubble, you will see that it is not that great and there are many excellent opportunities to be found overseas.

However, if the ones who stepped out of the Australian bubble were lucky enough to get a white hat, they wouldn’t be in the queue to take the excellent opportunities overseas.

soseg
14th Mar 2024, 04:54
However, if the ones who stepped out of the Australian bubble were lucky enough to get a white hat, they wouldn’t be in the queue to take the excellent opportunities overseas.

Plenty of pilots on the hold file, or others who already had started have left to go overseas. I personally have four close friends who gave up their seniority or hold file to work overseas, and have heard of many more.

JamieMaree
14th Mar 2024, 06:34
Plenty of pilots on the hold file, or others who already had started have left to go overseas. I personally have four close friends who gave up their seniority or hold file to work overseas, and have heard of many more.

That is actually a win- win.
A win for those who are or would be unhappy working for Qantas to go and do something else and a win for those who get jobs to take their place.

junior.VH-LFA
14th Mar 2024, 07:45

Let me be clear, I mean mainline only, not the other outfits which have obviously inferior conditions. The benefits of overseas vs subsidiaries is apparent. Apparently according to Crikey news 5 NAA pilots resigned just this week. That’s almost unheard of in mainline despite being much larger.

Simple. If you have a family here who wants to stay here, it’s the best job available. It has nothing to do with flying or working in Australia being better - not every pilot in Australia though can just disregard their families wishes and move across the world.

ebarw
16th Mar 2024, 05:03
Had an interview last year aug and was put on hold sept 2023, any idea on how many people are on hold or how recruitment is going? I’m a qgpa grad so any news on qlink or Jetstar courses going out?

chuq
16th Mar 2024, 08:54
Had an interview last year aug and was put on hold sept 2023, any idea on how many people are on hold or how recruitment is going? I’m a qgpa grad so any news on qlink or Jetstar courses going out?

Just out of interest did you come straight out of QGPA to an interview with low hours or have you been flying for a bit to build time.

Looking to potentially head there next year so trying to gauge where some past graduates are these days.

ebarw
16th Mar 2024, 08:58
Just out of interest did you come straight out of QGPA to an interview with low hours or have you been flying for a bit to build time.

Looking to potentially head there next year so trying to gauge where some past graduates are these days.

I graduated in early 2022 and have been working to build hours since then. Have heard of a lot of low hour guys getting through straight away though

chuq
17th Mar 2024, 08:18
I graduated in early 2022 and have been working to build hours since then. Have heard of a lot of low hour guys getting through straight away though

How about Qantas’s advertised “GA partners” for their graduates. Do they make it any easier or is job hunting the same? I’m Still keen on the program regardless but still gathering info.

mikewil
19th Mar 2024, 00:19
Can anyone elaborate on what the "Qantas group medical" involves that isn't already covered in the CASA Class 1 medical?

morno
19th Mar 2024, 00:43
No longer done

mikewil
19th Mar 2024, 00:45
No longer done

I heard this may be the case. Interesting to still see it listed on some (recently posted) QF group direct entry job ads. The wonderful world of HR...

bendo77
19th Mar 2024, 02:09
How long should an external applicant expect to be on the hold file from this round of recruits?

JPJP
20th Mar 2024, 08:11

The answer to your question is self evident. Qantas mainline is the proverbial one eyed man in the land of the blind. A big fish in a tiny monopoly, masquerading as an airline industry. A pilot group that lifted the shirt, licked the ring and voted in a B scale for new joiners. Terrified by empty threats centered around an aircraft that doesn’t even exist yet. Pilots apply to Qantas because it’s the lesser of two evils. An outsourced, poorly paid, whipsaw subsidiary. Or a deeply average set of terms and conditions at mainline.

Your schadenfreude is showing,

maggot
20th Mar 2024, 08:34
The answer to your question is self evident. Qantas mainline is the proverbial one eyed man in the land of the blind. A big fish in a tiny monopoly, masquerading as an airline industry. A pilot group that lifted the shirt, licked the ring and voted in a B scale for new joiners. Terrified by empty threats centered around an aircraft that doesn’t even exist yet. Pilots apply to Qantas because it’s the lesser of two evils. An outsourced, poorly paid, whipsaw subsidiary. Or a deeply average set of terms and conditions at mainline.

Your schadenfreude is showing,
Give it a rest. History is the EA you're disparaging was voted on under the cloud of covid not motivated as you suggest in any way.
It was dead wood if it wasn't for covid

Parrot Pilot
21st Mar 2024, 06:29
Give it a rest. History is the EA you're disparaging was voted on under the cloud of covid not motivated as you suggest in any way.
It was dead wood if it wasn't for covid

COVID didn’t vote up the B scale - pilots who were scared of their own shadow and only cared about themselves did.

Still yet to find one in the wild though. It would appear that people who voted up the EBA are like greens voters - they obviously exist but you never seem to meet one.

Parrot Pilot
21st Mar 2024, 09:50
Back pay is quite useful when you’ve got an indefinite stand down letter in your hand? Context is important when reviewing the outcomes of prior votes.

Leaving it unresolved at that time would’ve left it wide open for unscrupulous opportunistic variations. The outcomes may have been significantly worse than what transpired.

Most of the B scale pilots dont have to look hard for the ‘unscrupulous opportunistic variation’, the company sends a reminder every fortnight in workday.

Thumb War
21st Mar 2024, 10:31
I’m guessing most people here would agree. Not sure what should’ve been done differently given what was happening at the time though?

Beer Baron
21st Mar 2024, 12:09
COVID didn’t vote up the B scale - pilots who were scared of their own shadow and only cared about themselves did.
You are wrong there. It was no shadow, it was 20 years of Qantas replacing us with cheaper labour.
Look around;
Jetstar with 80 jets
Network with 15 jets
JetConnect With 6 jets
Alliance contracted for ~26 jets
NJS with 29 jet on order.

All these planes, flying routes we used to fly, (even wearing our uniform and livery half the time) but Qantas set up or bought these entities to do it without us. And they had no problem hiring the hundreds and hundreds of pilots to do it.

So you can tell me Qantas were bluffing when they explicitly told us they would have other pilots fly the A350’s if we didn’t vote Yes? That was going to be the one time they actually didn’t sideline us (despite being crystal clear they would).

Then imagine how many new S/O’s would be hired onto any LH contract if the A350 was not flown by mainline, especially given it is the replacement for 50% of the LH fleet.

Yeah, the new S/O rate is **** but it lasts only as long as you’re an S/O (it’s actually a pay rise for the first 18 months) and that may only be a day currently. But given the existential threat to mainline LH, the fact that PIA was not even an option as we were ALL stood down indefinitely and no one knew if there would even be a paycheck in the next 2 years, the pilots were placed into an impossible situation where we had to eat one of 2 **** sandwiches which would effect future pilots for years to come.

I will admit I voted yes and I have admitted it to all the new S/O’s I fly with and have explained the circumstances.

If the outcome was so terrible then I don’t know how we still have so many people applying for these positions. Perhaps they see the pay and conditions secured where they will spend the majority of their career and may one day understand the reason we did what we did.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
21st Mar 2024, 13:00
Also: the airline had just ground to a halt, with virtually no revenue coming in and an uncertain future. A lot of people were expecting Qantas to try and cancel the vote and offer up something much worse. Under the circumstances, we were pretty happy to take what was still on offer.

Aussie Fo
21st Mar 2024, 20:07
Network with 15 jets. Keep counting brother. Your maths doesn’t pass grade 3.

The days of SO earning 300k$ are gone. Move on. Take a promotion. Get back to long haul and life is good.
The reason qantas has so many applicants ain’t the conditions. It’s a life in Australia. Beaches, mates, family, somewhere for kids to grow up. Parents eventually dying. Face facts. This job sucks at times. 24 hours in a hotel. Red eye flights.

I sympathise with the subsidiaries. A much harder life on less money and a crapload more difficult job. The guys/girls/thems on the maggot work hard under a **** award. But it’s home. Family. Loved ones.

Pilots are extremely selfish. Myself included. We always complain. But how long does flying the biggest jet count?

We dedicated a lot to do this. How much has any company dedicated to their staff. We are a utility/commodity. I treat them the same. Turn the phone off and go for a swim or surf.

work isn’t everything

Personally I’m still waiting for the 3 day Tahiti/ Hawaii where I’m not trying to recover from the endless nights awake be it from kids/ fatigue/jet lag.

i wish everyone the best

Beer Baron
21st Mar 2024, 21:00
Network with 15 jets. Keep counting brother. Your maths doesn’t pass grade 3.
At the end of 2023 Network had 15 A320s. These aircraft are flying routes previously operated by QF SH. I am not counting F100’s as many of these these pre-dated the QF acquisition and are not flying 737 routes.
It’s about comprehension not maths, ‘brother’.

ScepticalOptomist
21st Mar 2024, 21:21
The SO rate was also reduced to try and stem the flow of the subsidiaries into mainline.

Almost poetic - the lower SO pay is directly due to the growth of the subsidiaries as Beer Baron explained, and yet most of the complaints I’ve heard are from the same group as they come across.

Not their fault by any means, they’re victims of the QF IR system.

Lapon
21st Mar 2024, 23:07
The SO rate was also reduced to try and stem the flow of the subsidiaries into mainline.

You are kidding right?

The SO rate was reduced to end the back seater for life role and make a move to SH a necessity to make up for the now lost pay.

You don't need a new payscale to stem the flow of subsidiaries into mainline, those brakes are and always have been applied regardless of enthusiasm levels.

dejapoo
21st Mar 2024, 23:26
At the end of 2023 Network had 15 A320s. These aircraft are flying routes previously operated by QF SH. I am not counting F100’s as many of these these pre-dated the QF acquisition and are not flying 737 routes.
It’s about comprehension not maths, ‘brother’.

Yep, never seen an F100 on Kal, KTA, PHE, BME, even DRW ASP when it was the abortion everyone said it would be. Good maths, brother !

Lapon
21st Mar 2024, 23:29
You are wrong there. It was no shadow, it was 20 years of Qantas replacing us with cheaper labour.
Look around;
Jetstar with 80 jets
Network with 15 jets
JetConnect With 6 jets
Alliance contracted for ~26 jets
NJS with 29 jet on order.

All these planes, flying routes we used to fly, (even wearing our uniform and livery half the time) but Qantas set up or bought these entities to do it without us

No doubt some routes that used to be operated by mainline are no longer, but there is a tad bit of drama in your summation.

If Alliance (and to an extent NJS 717s) have picked up sectors from a 737, then cleary a 737 isn't the machine for it and I doubt those sectors would otherwise exists.
To suggest mainline would have ooperated 100 seat regional jets on the same EBA as a 737 requires a heck of an imagination.

I stand to be corrected but Jetconnect don't 'have' thier own aircraft anymore either.
Jetstar is closest you could claim as having 'taken' a number routes, but again I'd argue a fair portion of of that flying wouldn't otherwise exist in anywhere but the LCC space.

Like it or not the white hat isn't 'our' uniform, its a Qantas group uniform - SH, LH, Sunnies, Easterns, NJS, Network. That Alliance wear it too does little to change the price of bread.

dr dre
21st Mar 2024, 23:42
This is all a moot discussion. You can go on all day long about what should have happened in the past, but the thread is about Qantas (mainline) recruiting in the present. Where they are actively hiring the largest number of new recruits in their history at an unprecedented rate, and internal training and promotion is at an unprecedented rate with each training year setting new records. And that’s without the A321 and A350 training vacancies published yet. When they are published the vacancies will spike by 50% over already record numbers.

Beer Baron
21st Mar 2024, 23:47
Jesus, some people refuse to see the point of a post and only want to argue over minutiae. One of you insists I count F100’s and the other says I’m crazy to consider 100 seat regional aircraft, you decide amongst yourselves.

As for JetConnect, yes, now they fly from the same pool of aircraft on the mainline AOC but on much worse conditions. Is that less of a threat to mainline jobs or possibly much worse??

The point is, flying was going everywhere BUT mainline. It wasn’t in our imagination. We didn’t hire a new S/O for 7 years. The last LHEA was just the first time they had explicitly told us that they would continue to wipe us out if we didn’t comply. The previous 2 decades experience showed it was no idle threat.

ShandywithSugar
22nd Mar 2024, 00:22
Water under the bridge and the passing of time the then International CEO has been onboard many flights.The recount of the interactions had were such an ASX release was ready to go had the vote gone down for Sunrise.

ExtraShot
22nd Mar 2024, 01:36
Water under the bridge and the passing of time the then International CEO has been onboard many flights.The recount of the interactions had were such an ASX release was ready to go had the vote gone down for Sunrise.

This is verified by discussion with other managers at the time. It was no idle threat. Two asx releases were ready to go. The one we saw, and the other one announcing a new subsidiary. In spite of any legal challenges or whatever else that may have arisen to try and fight it, Alan Joyce was not bluffing. The international/widebody version of network/njs was on the cards.

Just as everyone was being stood down… no chance of effective PIA to fight it, no likelihood of sympathy from courts and governments who were wrapped up in other business at the time.

Many say they can’t believe qantas proceeded with the vote at the time. I reckon management couldn’t believe their luck! They certainly wouldn’t get away with it now.

Gas Chamber
22nd Mar 2024, 04:06
I’m guessing most people here would agree. Not sure what should’ve been done differently given what was happening at the time though?

COVID hadn’t kicked off for that vote. Just selfish pilots looking after themselves. B scale is a disgrace.
I was openly voicing my disdain at the time. Everyone was scared of jobs being outsourced.
Empty threats as usual…we always fall for it.
AIPA should be actively looking to abolish any B or C scale. They need to grow a spine

Gas Chamber
22nd Mar 2024, 04:15
This is verified by discussion with other managers at the time. It was no idle threat. Two asx releases were ready to go. The one we saw, and the other one announcing a new subsidiary. In spite of any legal challenges or whatever else that may have arisen to try and fight it, Alan Joyce was not bluffing. The international/widebody version of network/njs was on the cards.

Just as everyone was being stood down… no chance of effective PIA to fight it, no likelihood of sympathy from courts and governments who were wrapped up in other business at the time.

Many say they can’t believe qantas proceeded with the vote at the time. I reckon management couldn’t believe their luck! They certainly wouldn’t get away with it now.

that’s crap. They couldn’t do it. Absolutely against the law.
just sewing doubt in pilot's minds for future votes.
there is very specific rules against this sort of business behaviour, and was absolutely in place at the time.

ExtraShot
22nd Mar 2024, 05:02
that’s crap. They couldn’t do it. Absolutely against the law.
just sewing doubt in pilot's minds for future votes.
there is very specific rules against this sort of business behaviour, and was absolutely in place at the time.

Unfortunately not crap at all.

Sunrise , as proposed, was not ‘existing business’…. Some may remember One senior manager being reigned in and ‘disappeared’ rather quickly after he had suggested the 350 was also a potential 380 replacement…

they already had experience with Jetconnect, network, njs gaining work , uniforms, products, etc qantas had for years. There was obviously advice they’d get away with it.

Ofcourse if it’s ‘crap’ you can quote said law, and any case that had set a precedent to support the fight?

And suppose you wanted to fight it, good luck taking that through the courts at that time.

Beer Baron
22nd Mar 2024, 05:27
COVID hadn’t kicked off for that vote. Just selfish pilots looking after themselves. B scale is a disgrace.
Utter garbage.
19 March 2020: Alan Joyce announced they would stand down 20,000 staff.
20 March 2020: LHEA voting opens
21 March 2020: Received Stand Down notification

Good luck holding PIA when you don’t have a job to attend.

As for your suggestion of legal protections, equally fanciful.

maggot
22nd Mar 2024, 05:38
Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant 😂

dejapoo
22nd Mar 2024, 05:47
Utter garbage.
19 March 2020: Alan Joyce announced they would stand down 20,000 staff.
20 March 2020: LHEA voting opens
21 March 2020: Received Stand Down notification

Good luck holding PIA when you don’t have a job to attend.

As for your suggestion of legal protections, equally fanciful.

You must be jet lagged or have sleep induced dementia. Please see your DAME before climbing into the jet.

Beer Baron
22nd Mar 2024, 07:11
You must be jet lagged or have sleep induced dementia. Please see your DAME before climbing into the jet.
What part are you struggling with smart guy?
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1085x554/img_6015_96920d9a108562ad64ab699e8b75404573cf0e5b.jpeg

dejapoo
22nd Mar 2024, 12:31
Apologies. Thought you initially said February.

Sugref
24th Mar 2024, 02:03
Has anyone completed the internal interview this month? Would love some intel on the ‘scenario’
thanks

Swept-Wing
24th Mar 2024, 17:37
Pinstripe Solutions had all the ‘intel’ you need.

Climb150
24th Mar 2024, 19:59
Pinstripe Solutions had all the ‘intel’ you need.

You mean the company that wants over $300 to help you with your Resume and $250 for interview coaching?

I actually did an interview recently and I was asked which prep service I used. I replied that I hadn't used any. I then asked why and they wanted to know and they said "we know which questions each prep company uses so we ask different ones".

Now I don't know anything about Pinstripe but 95% of people I know who used a prep company for Resume or Interview help said it was a complete waste of money.
​​​​​​

Stretch06
24th Mar 2024, 22:25
You mean the company that wants over $300 to help you with your Resume and $250 for interview coaching?

I actually did an interview recently and I was asked which prep service I used. I replied that I hadn't used any. I then asked why and they wanted to know and they said "we know which questions each prep company uses so we ask different ones".

Now I don't know anything about Pinstripe but 95% of people I know who used a prep company for Resume or Interview help said it was a complete waste of money.
​​​​​​

after sitting on the ‘interviewer’ side of the desk for a number of years, I can confidently say that you can tell straight away who has and who hasn’t ’had coaching’ for the interview. Some of those people didn’t score as well as they would want to believe.

transition_alt
24th Mar 2024, 22:31

​​​​​​

I can assure you Pinstripe wasn’t/isn’t a waste of money.

Yes, I feel the prices are getting a bit greedy. But it’s supply and demand so probably justifiable.
They actually do a good job and get you where you need and how to articulate a model answer.

Recruiters know and appreciate this and can see the effort you’ve put in to get the job. Much better than struggling through a response.

What I don’t agree with is them selling your interview questions to people without giving you a small discount on their services in return.

FFG 02
25th Mar 2024, 08:03
I've used Pinstripe a couple of times. I don't know of any others.

A good pilot should be prepared and I see interview coaching as helping you out with strategies to deal with what can be an uncomfortable/stressful situation. You don't do job interviews very often (hopefully) so you want to bring out your best. Would you do a practice in a sim before a sim assessment? What is the difference?

And FYI each time I got the job I was going for!

Ollie Onion
26th Mar 2024, 00:47
I've used Pinstripe a couple of times. I don't know of any others.

A good pilot should be prepared and I see interview coaching as helping you out with strategies to deal with what can be an uncomfortable/stressful situation. You don't do job interviews very often (hopefully) so you want to bring out your best. Would you do a practice in a sim before a sim assessment? What is the difference?

And FYI each time I got the job I was going for!

I have never used any sort of interview prep and likewise have got every flying job I have ever interviewed for. It is horses for courses, all the info is out there and you certainly don't need to pay anyone to find it, but each to their own.

VH-RME
26th Mar 2024, 00:49
Would love to know how many posters have financial affiliations with these companies

skypilot646
27th Mar 2024, 01:05
Anyone know a rough time to command for someone starting this year?

A320 Flyer
27th Mar 2024, 01:12

you’re a funny guy

Going Nowhere
27th Mar 2024, 01:15

Rough?

You might get one before you retire..

cxflog
27th Mar 2024, 01:31
Rough?

You might get one before you retire..
Emphasis on might…

dr dre
27th Mar 2024, 01:45

Currently it's 16 years as last command awarded was an 08 start.

Couple of things to note. Recruiting in that era stopped in early 2009, and didn't restart until mid 2016. As the indications for next training year will be as big as the current one all those who started in 08/09 will have a chance to bid for a command next TY, so likely that some 2016/17 starts will get a command slot next TY to start their command sometime in 2025. So time to command should drop to about 8-9 years.

As for the time to command for someone starting this year? That's variable, and as you know the industry has ups and downs meaning it can be many years depending on where you fall as the wave ends. Currently forecasts with retirements and new aircraft into the fleet show the number of Captains needed overall to increase by 200. Half of all current Captains will hit retirement by decade's end.

transition_alt
27th Mar 2024, 01:48
Currently it's 16 years as last command awarded was an 08 start.

Couple of things to note. Recruiting in that era stopped in early 2009, and didn't restart until mid 2016. As the indications for next training year will be as big as the current one all those who started in 08/09 will have a chance to bid for a command next TY, so likely that some 2016/17 starts will get a command slot next TY to start sometime in 2025. So time to command should drop to about 8-9 years.

What I have heard matches your comment.

2025 training slots for commands should get down to 8 years seniority providing the fleet renewals go as planned. These would likely be 737 commands too and not A321.

Give it the herbs
27th Mar 2024, 01:49

It's rumoured to go down to 8 years this upcoming training year for SYD and MEL in SH. That's down from 19+ years in 2019. Slightly skeptical but it's plausible.

dr dre
27th Mar 2024, 02:02
What I have heard matches your comment.

2026 training slots for commands should get down to 8 years seniority providing the fleet renewals go as planned. These would likely be 737 commands too and not A321.

I think the first A321 commands are slated to be type transfers not promotions as the fleet is introduced, and I don't think there'll be too many in total to start with (I believe only 3 A321s arriving next by the end of next FY). So yes the majority of SH commands will still be slated to be 737 for the next few years, until the A321 hits a critical mass then will become the majority.

But they'll probably still need new pilots onto the 737 as more will leave for LH, and I think it's safe to say they'll still be training pilots onto the 737 in the 2030s. They were training pilots onto the B744 in the late 2010s with that fleet nearing retirement.

transition_alt
27th Mar 2024, 02:19
I think the first A321 commands are slated to be type transfers not promotions as the fleet is introduced, and I don't think there'll be too many in total to start with (I believe only 3 A321s arriving next by the end of next FY). So yes the majority of SH commands will still be slated to be 737 for the next few years, until the A321 hits a critical mass then will become the majority.

But they'll probably still need new pilots onto the 737 as more will leave for LH, and I think it's safe to say they'll still be training pilots onto the 737 in the 2030s. They were training pilots onto the B744 in the late 2010s with that fleet nearing retirement.

Regarding the 737, people joining towards the 2030’s will need to be cautious as there is no RIN process SH.

Given what management are saying, there should be work for all 737 pilots on the A321 with the increase in back of the clock flying even with a lower amount of airframes.

The 747 pilots at least had the RIN process to fall back on. Based upon management history with subsidiaries who knows what will happen with the remaining 737 pilots (if any are left) at the end of the fleet replacement.

cloudsurfng
27th Mar 2024, 02:44
There’s a “kinda RIN” where surplus 737 crew get first dibs at the 321. I wouldnt be too stressed about not having a seat to go to if you’re on the 737.

Thumb War
27th Mar 2024, 07:33
Regarding the 737, people joining towards the 2030’s will need to be cautious as there is no RIN process SH.

I think that’s jumping at shadows and there’s an awful lot that could occur between now and then.

Climb150
27th Mar 2024, 12:33
Can someone please explain what RIN means?

Reduction in numbers. Got it

Skippy69
16th Apr 2024, 22:25
The recruitment process is a heck of a long ride. All to be rounded out with a sim in the 76 in the later evening.

I don't quite agree with the sim being so late, I was in recently and had been up since 3a.m for a flight that morning and obviously with the pre interview nerves and jitters certainly don't think that my best foot was put forward when it came to what is indeed a taxing sim ride. (Yes yes, people will say have a sleep, but tough to do when you're nervous)

Along with the thousands of dollars applicants put forward for those that aren't Bris based in money towards a suit, accom, travel and of course the need to take a couple of sick days because rosters don't always align!

Can say though, that ALL the people encountered in the Qantas hiring department where superb individuals. I hope if they read this they can pat themselves on the back.

After my sim ride I expect a thanks but no thanks , really not too confident, but I bloody well hope that consideration is placed on the efforts that some people go to to put a good foot forward and/or the time of day that the sim is utilized. I myself was already at the back end of a very long day.

​​​​​It would be interesting to know if anyone could say or hypothesize the attrition rates at various stages and what the process is for final selection, I'd have thought that the HR panel interview would hold considerable weight when outcomes where delivered? If we are all pilots there is already an acumen to be able to fly or at least a proven record of an adaptability to comply with SOP's etc. (& not hand fly on steam gauges a jet)

Big Silver Spoon
17th Apr 2024, 00:40
The recruitment process is a heck of a long ride. All to be rounded out with a sim in the 76 in the later evening.

I don't quite agree with the sim being so late, I was in recently and had been up since 3a.m for a flight that morning and obviously with the pre interview nerves and jitters certainly don't think that my best foot was put forward when it came to what is indeed a taxing sim ride. (Yes yes, people will say have a sleep, but tough to do when you're nervous)

Along with the thousands of dollars applicants put forward for those that aren't Bris based in money towards a suit, accom, travel and of course the need to take a couple of sick days because rosters don't always align!

Can say though, that ALL the people encountered in the Qantas hiring department where superb individuals. I hope if they read this they can pat themselves on the back.

After my sim ride I expect a thanks but no thanks , really not too confident, but I bloody well hope that consideration is placed on the efforts that some people go to to put a good foot forward and/or the time of day that the sim is utilized. I myself was already at the back end of a very long day.

​​​​​It would be interesting to know if anyone could say or hypothesize the attrition rates at various stages and what the process is for final selection, I'd have thought that the HR panel interview would hold considerable weight when outcomes where delivered? If we are all pilots there is already an acumen to be able to fly or at least a proven record of an adaptability to comply with SOP's etc. (& not hand fly on steam gauges a jet)

As a pilot, we focus on the sim. As a HR self licking ice cream driven process, the focus is on your non technical and interpersonal skills plus interview preparation.

I wouldn’t stress too much about the sim. As long as you showed an improvement from start to finish (demonstrating a rate of learning) which means you can be trained, then you’ll be okay.

soseg
17th Apr 2024, 01:10
I wouldn’t stress too much about the sim

Cant break any hard rules like going below minima, etc

On Guard
17th Apr 2024, 05:59

Did you have to do it that day? For me I did it a few weeks later. Went home did some prep etc??

flyingkea
19th Apr 2024, 08:12
I’ve just been through the assessment day process. We couldn’t actually do the sims straight away, as the sim had broken, and they were trying to get more slots/assessors organised to clear the backlog. (I don’t think there was anyone local on my day - one from US, couple flew in from NZ, Perth etc).

But they did say it doesn’t matter when you do your sim with regards to the hold file - it is based purely on the date you attended the assessment centre. And we were on week 7 of an 18 month recruitment process.