PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Recruitment

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18

DirectAnywhere
10th Sep 2023, 06:56
What standard 😂. You blokes have such an inflated sense of self. Just talk to the ex CX crew who have joined as SO's. Overwhelming consensus is how poor the said standard is.

🙄 yeah, because I’m sure all of those former Capts and FOs, pissed off at being stuck in the back seat again thanks to Swire and the CCP, are completely impartial and are without the merest hint of sour grapes thinking “I could do this better.”

morno
10th Sep 2023, 07:49
How strange a thread turns into a pissing contest.

Would it not make more sense for the group to have a standard interview criteria and process for all entities, then negate the need for a final mainline interview?

It has always perplexed me how one can be flying for one entity go to the next fail an interview yet go back to flying at the original. In a world where we operate to SOPS why not bring it all in line.

Whoops talking common sense.

Back to mines longer than yours.

Exactly this, which is why I said what I did. The problem is that there isn’t one, so a “filter” is required. Think about NJS pilots who didn’t have to go through Qantas recruiting (and in some cases possibly failed in the past), and now all of a sudden work for the Group because Qantas bought them.

aussieflyboy
10th Sep 2023, 08:21
Exactly this, which is why I said what I did. The problem is that there isn’t one, so a “filter” is required. Think about NJS pilots who didn’t have to go through Qantas recruiting (and in some cases possibly failed in the past), and now all of a sudden work for the Group because Qantas bought them.

Similar to what occurred with the TAA Pilots in 92

Eaglerocker
11th Sep 2023, 00:41
can you apply to mainline externally whilst being an "inernal" , i.e just putting an application in and not waiting for the next round of internal EOIS?

dusty99
11th Sep 2023, 00:56

Wait you believe a story telling session to some HR reps straight out of uni is a "filter"? Not to mention they are the same ones hiring for other group aocs. Nothing to do at all with the person doing exactly the same job? 😂

morno
11th Sep 2023, 01:06
Wait you believe a story telling session to some HR reps straight out of uni is a "filter"? Not to mention they are the same ones hiring for other group aocs. Nothing to do at all with the person doing exactly the same job? 😂

So you’ve obviously never done it, says it all.

In that case, maybe we should ditch the whole recruiting process entirely. Go back to the old GA days of having to know someone first, then a beer with the chief pilot and you can start by sweeping the hangar out for a week. Is that your preferred method?

Global Aviator
11th Sep 2023, 02:07
So you’ve obviously never done it, says it all.

In that case, maybe we should ditch the whole recruiting process entirely. Go back to the old GA days of having to know someone first, then a beer with the chief pilot and you can start by sweeping the hangar out for a week. Is that your preferred method?

Ya certainly get to know someone’s character that way! 😉

The interview process no doubt has its merits but seriously if you are good enough for one group airline should be good enough for all.

Ps no I’ve never done the QF interview, probably wouldn’t get through the psych test!!

Gnadenburg
11th Sep 2023, 02:31
Ps no I’ve never done the QF interview, probably wouldn’t get through the psych test!!

Just cheat like so many! You can pay experts to do the testing or have a smart friend sit in.

If it wasn’t so hilarious and the job not so important, it would probably peeve those of us who sweated through the testing legitimately.

ScepticalOptomist
11th Sep 2023, 06:39
Ya certainly get to know someone’s character that way! 😉

The interview process no doubt has its merits but seriously if you are good enough for one group airline should be good enough for all.

You would think so - but you should
see some of the ones coming through lately.. if I wasn’t sitting next to them I wouldn’t have believed it. :ugh:

AQIS Boigu
11th Sep 2023, 18:53
Similar to what occurred with the TAA Pilots in 92

Same happened with the Dragon Air Cargo guys in 2008 and Dragon Air ML in 2020, some bombed out at a CX selection years ago and later on joined CX at the bottom of the seniority list (not that seniority means anything in CX these days)

mince
12th Sep 2023, 01:19
Ahh The 2 greatest words in the english language:

De-Fault

Hollywood1
12th Sep 2023, 01:35
Regarding Qantas Group recruitment, I gather there are a few directly from the Qantas Group Pilot Academy joining Qantaslink and Jetstar. Obviously, they don't meet the hours required by external applicants, but do they go through the same selection and interview process with psychometric tests, group activity, sim assessment etc as externals? Nothing against cadets getting in though the fast lane, but just curious.

Callsign Please
12th Sep 2023, 02:05
do they go through the same selection and interview process with psychometric tests, group activity, sim assessment etc as externals?

Yes they do, once trained. Not 100% on whether an interview is guaranteed, but rumblings are that Link interviews are being turned down for JQ ones. Some complaints of completing program and receiving a no thanks, even though nothing was officially promised.

There’s also a screening while applying to FTA that has aptitude stuff in it.

BoomTimes
12th Sep 2023, 12:44
It hasn't been a J or Q interview. The panel is usually both a J and Link pilot. Rejecting the offer is another story.

framer
12th Sep 2023, 20:47
I’d complain too if I’d paid 180k to join the Qantas Pilot Academy and then couldn’t get paid work within the Qantas group.

SixDemonBag
12th Sep 2023, 21:10
I’d complain too if I’d paid 180k to join the Qantas Pilot Academy and then couldn’t get paid work within the Qantas group.

Would you? Where does it say that you graduate into a group aircraft?

Going Nowhere
12th Sep 2023, 21:19
Would you? Where does it say that you graduate into a group aircraft?

It doesn’t. There’s just a certain amount of students who feel they are owed something.

From what I’ve heard, the process is capturing most of those people.

framer
13th Sep 2023, 06:37
Why would you pay extra to go to the Qantas Pilot Academy if you didn’t think it would give you an inside run into the Qantas group? Might as well train at the local aero club and pocket the difference.

SixDemonBag
13th Sep 2023, 07:51
Because there is probably a higher than normal chance to get a gig rather than a guaranteed one, which someone implied.

dr dre
18th Sep 2023, 07:08
For those who are asking about when applications for mainline will reopen - there’s just been an EOI for pilot assessors (current pilots to sit on interview panels) throughout 2024 so one would think applications would be open again soon, maybe even late this year.

If you’re close to the minimum requirements and wish to apply might be time to start making sure all the boxes are ticked.

high_flyer747
18th Sep 2023, 09:40
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the heads up ! Will definitely be keeping an eye out. Just out of interest any recommendations for QF mainline interview preparation/courses? Currently Air NZ pilot with all requirements met. The interview process at Air NZ was pretty straight forward with few ticket items. Ive heard QF can be a little more interesting.

For those who are asking about when applications for mainline will reopen - there’s just been an EOI for pilot assessors (current pilots to sit on interview panels) throughout 2024 so one would think applications would be open again soon, maybe even late this year.

If you’re close to the minimum requirements and wish to apply might be time to start making sure all the boxes are ticked.

On Guard
18th Sep 2023, 11:03
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the heads up ! Will definitely be keeping an eye out. Just out of interest any recommendations for QF mainline interview preparation/courses? Currently Air NZ pilot with all requirements met. The interview process at Air NZ was pretty straight forward with few ticket items. Ive heard QF can be a little more interesting.

Pinstripe solutions all the way and practice the psyc test for many hours first. You can buy access to the same type of test. You also must finish it unless instructions have changed. It purposely limits your time so some questions will be guesses.

Ladloy
18th Sep 2023, 23:16
Pinstripe solutions all the way and practice the psyc test for many hours first. You can buy access to the same type of test. You also must finish it unless instructions have changed. It purposely limits your time so some questions will be guesses.
SHL have a practice exam too. You can just keep changing emails and redoing the test

Hello123
18th Sep 2023, 23:58
For those of us (externals) who are still waiting for a start date does anyone know if they will clear the current external hold file before adding new people?

I have contacted Qantas HR and they are so vague about what to expect.

I know of people who interviewed after me who have starts but also know of people who interviewed months before me and are still waiting. I wish there was some clarity that could be provided as life is on hold waiting for the call.

Chad Gates
19th Sep 2023, 01:32
October.

Ranger290
19th Sep 2023, 02:20
Does anyone know what the training footprint looks like for ML? I know sims are approx 6 weeks for 73 but actual ground portion before this ?

On Guard
19th Sep 2023, 04:40
October.

October they deplete? Or kick off again?

Chad Gates
19th Sep 2023, 05:47
October they deplete? Or kick off again?

Rumour is they are trying to start again in October. Hold file emply April/May next year. Only rumours, but all signs point to a start very soon. They will have to, all fleets are short now.

On Guard
19th Sep 2023, 06:15
Rumour is they are trying to start again in October. Hold file emply April/May next year. Only rumours, but all signs point to a start very soon. They will have to, all fleets are short now.

Yeah I heard from HR that 2024 campaign starts soon. What soon means I’m unsure.

dragon man
23rd Sep 2023, 07:55
Also going to open up to the subsidiaries.

jetbhags
27th Sep 2023, 06:45
Hi guys, If you have been deferred from Qlink for a 6 month period can you still apply for Network Jetstar etc?

dr dre
30th Sep 2023, 08:15
Also going to open up to the subsidiaries.

Internal applications opened this week.

External applications open up in a few weeks.

Interesting as well the previous requirement for an internal candidate to have been in a subsidiary for at least 18 months prior to applying has been waived, only need to have been in the subsidiary for 18 months prior to start date.

engine out
30th Sep 2023, 09:16
Externals open 9th October and close 7th November.

LostontheLOC
30th Sep 2023, 12:48
Hi guys, If you have been deferred from Qlink for a 6 month period can you still apply for Network Jetstar etc?
unfortunately not, theres a group wide recruitment team in place now, and one does equal the other now, beat to get onto your last recruiter - shame it doesn't extend to conditions or pay.

high_flyer747
1st Oct 2023, 11:10
Hiya,

Can anyone shed a little light on what the QF ML pay looks like at entry level on all fleets?

TIA

morno
1st Oct 2023, 11:19
I’m sure if you scroll up enough you’ll find a good breakdown of it.

high_flyer747
1st Oct 2023, 11:22
I’m sure if you scroll up enough you’ll find a good breakdown of it.

couldnt find it scrolled quite a few way up….

Capt Fathom
1st Oct 2023, 11:50
There’s 200 pages. Keep scrolling!

dr dre
1st Oct 2023, 12:21
Hiya,

Can anyone shed a little light on what the QF ML pay looks like at entry level on all fleets?

TIA

Enjoy!:

Qantas Airways Limited Pilots (Long Haul) Enterprise Agreement 2020 (https://www.fwc.gov.au/document-search/view/3/aHR0cHM6Ly9zYXNyY2RhdGFwcmRhdWVhYS5ibG9iLmNvcmUud2luZG93cy5u ZXQvZW50ZXJwcmlzZWFncmVlbWVudHMvMjAyMC80L2FlNTA3ODU1LnBkZg2? sid=&q=qantas%24%24pilot)

To interpret it minimum guaranteed hours are 942 per year for the 787 and 1040 for all other fleets. The pay rates for new hire S/Os start on page 99.

morno
1st Oct 2023, 12:33
couldnt find it scrolled quite a few way up….

I’m sorry HighFlyer, but it’s been discussed so many times it’s just tiring to think about writing it all out again.

VHOED191006
1st Oct 2023, 12:35
Alternatively, use the 'Search this Thread' function in the top right.

aussieflyboy
1st Oct 2023, 17:50
Hiya,

TIA

Generally it’s whatever a current SO tells you minus 20%.

high_flyer747
1st Oct 2023, 18:55
Enjoy!:

Qantas Airways Limited Pilots (Long Haul) Enterprise Agreement 2020 (https://www.fwc.gov.au/document-search/view/3/aHR0cHM6Ly9zYXNyY2RhdGFwcmRhdWVhYS5ibG9iLmNvcmUud2luZG93cy5u ZXQvZW50ZXJwcmlzZWFncmVlbWVudHMvMjAyMC80L2FlNTA3ODU1LnBkZg2? sid=&q=qantas%24%24pilot)

To interpret it minimum guaranteed hours are 942 per year for the 787 and 1040 for all other fleets. The pay rates for new hire S/Os start on page 99.

Thanks mate ! Does the contract only stipulate hourly rates and not base salary? I might be missing something here… here at Air NZ the contract is inclusive of LH and SH with base salaries. Im trying to compare the two contracts to see if its worth giving QF ML a shot

Ollie Onion
1st Oct 2023, 19:41
Thanks mate ! Does the contract only stipulate hourly rates and not base salary? I might be missing something here… here at Air NZ the contract is inclusive of LH and SH with base salaries. Im trying to compare the two contracts to see if its worth giving QF ML a shot

Good Luck with that!, trying to understand the Qantas EBA takes a degree in itself. There are NO ‘base salary’ figures and like the Air NZ contract multiple other payments on top of the min guarantee. As stated above you can ask a current SO what the take home pay is but you hear some pretty incredible figures :-)

Mr Mossberg
1st Oct 2023, 22:51
There's another one loose.

Eaglerocker
1st Oct 2023, 23:15
does everyone in the group that applies get an interview? you obviously have to submit cover letter/ resume in application but wonder if its essentially a guaranteed interview

Fonz121
2nd Oct 2023, 21:33
Hiya,

TIA

First year 787 SO would be just shy of $150k depending on a few variables.

Snowmaloo
2nd Oct 2023, 23:43
Year 4 B787 SO. Will crack 200K including allowances. Say what you want about allowances but I don’t spend anywhere near all of mine and I still manage to have a good time. The role isn’t challenging but I don’t work a lot and when I do I spend half of it horizontal.

dr dre
3rd Oct 2023, 01:22

Minimum guaranteed hours x hourly rate = base salary.

The SH contract is a separate document - be aware that SH has a much lower minimum guaranteed vs hours actually rostered so can sometimes deceptively mislead people to think the minimum guaranteed wage is close to rostered pay - it is actually much higher on average.

The average divisors in LH are closer to the MGH but at the moment they are higher than usual.

high_flyer747
3rd Oct 2023, 03:06
Minimum guaranteed hours x hourly rate = base salary.

The SH contract is a separate document - be aware that SH has a much lower minimum guaranteed vs hours actually rostered so can sometimes deceptively mislead people to think the minimum guaranteed wage is close to rostered pay - it is actually much higher on average.

The average divisors in LH are closer to the MGH but at the moment they are higher than usual.

Thats great thanks for being helpful and sharing ! Was trying to compare if theres much difference currently from Air NZ to Qantas and seems to be slightly more. Definitely SH would be my pick which seems more closer to $180K. Lets get through the doors first then worry about 1st world problems. Any tips or recommendations on interview process would be appreciated too. Thanks.

On Guard
3rd Oct 2023, 03:51
Thats great thanks for being helpful and sharing ! Was trying to compare if theres much difference currently from Air NZ to Qantas and seems to be slightly more. Definitely SH would be my pick which seems more closer to $180K. Lets get through the doors first then worry about 1st world problems. Any tips or recommendations on interview process would be appreciated too. Thanks.

SH fo I gather is comfortably 220-230 all up.

Use pinstripe solutions once you get psyc test etc and practice the test first.

Hank Schrader
3rd Oct 2023, 08:15
Anyone have information on whether I can apply for positions at Qantas even if I don't currently possess Australian licenses? I'm located in the UK, hold a Australian permanent residency and in the process of converting my licenses. Can I apply to selection then complete the licences conversion while in the hold pool ? Cheers

Hollywood1
3rd Oct 2023, 09:36
Anyone have information on whether I can apply for positions at Qantas even if I don't currently possess Australian licenses? I'm located in the UK, hold a Australian permanent residency and in the process of converting my licenses. Can I apply to selection then complete the licences conversion while in the hold pool ? Cheers

Here are the minimum requirements so if you don’t meet any of these at the time you apply, you probably won’t get to the first stage, that being an invitation to psychometric testing.

https://www.qantas.com/content/dam/qantas/pdfs/about-us/careers/trainee-second-officer-minimum-requirements.pdf

On Guard
4th Oct 2023, 00:21
Anyone got a Jan or Feb course date yet?

Swept-Wing
4th Oct 2023, 05:25
Anyone got a Jan or Feb course date yet?

I know of people on January course
as far as I’m aware, February course has not been announced yet.

Mark.S
4th Oct 2023, 11:08
Externals open 9th October and close 7th November.
Hi,

I've been flying in SE Asia since 2012. However, it's been 11 years since I last renewed my CASA license and Class 1 medical. If the Qantas application deadline is on November 7th, I won't have sufficient time to complete the renewal process. Is it feasible to submit my Qantas application without the current CASA license and medical, with the intention of renewing them early next year during my annual leave?

My last MECIR renewal was conducted on a BE55. Could someone kindly recommend a flight school for the renewal and roughly how long it takes for both the renewal and the medical examination? Thank you so much.

AQIS Boigu
5th Oct 2023, 02:12
Hi,

I've been flying in SE Asia since 2012. However, it's been 11 years since I last renewed my CASA license and Class 1 medical. If the Qantas application deadline is on November 7th, I won't have sufficient time to complete the renewal process. Is it feasible to submit my Qantas application without the current CASA license and medical, with the intention of renewing them early next year during my annual leave?

My last MECIR renewal was conducted on a BE55. Could someone kindly recommend a flight school for the renewal and roughly how long it takes for both the renewal and the medical examination? Thank you so much.

Current IR is NOT required - as long as you have had one before

For the application, you actually don’t need the license at hand - only for the interview.

Initial medical takes a few days if you are organized (hearing test, piss test, blood test, eye test) - processing times 2-4 weeks

You have plenty of time up your sleeve if you get on with it.

Hollywood1
5th Oct 2023, 02:28
Current IR is NOT required - as long as you have had one before

For the application, you actually don’t need the license at hand - only for the interview.

Initial medical takes a few days if you are organized (hearing test, piss test, blood test, eye test) - processing times 2-4 weeks

You have plenty of time up your sleeve if you get on with it.

The IR has to be current according to their minimum requirements checklist. "Hold a current Instrument Proficiency Check (MEA) "

https://www.qantas.com/content/dam/qantas/pdfs/about-us/careers/trainee-second-officer-minimum-requirements.pdf

high_flyer747
5th Oct 2023, 02:30
Does anyone know if theres a start delay once getting the yes from QF or do you go to the hold pool and wait?

morno
5th Oct 2023, 02:44
What’s the difference between a start delay and a hold pool? 🤔

Either way, you go into a hold pool.

dr dre
5th Oct 2023, 03:41
Does anyone know if theres a start delay once getting the yes from QF or do you go to the hold pool and wait?

Everyone who is successful in the recruitment process goes into the hold pool. It’s a matter of chance on how long you sit in the pool before you get given a formal start date. Could be weeks, months or a year or more. You may get given a general indication of start date but nothing is guaranteed until you get the formal date.

AQIS Boigu
5th Oct 2023, 05:31
The IR has to be current according to their minimum requirements checklist. "Hold a current Instrument Proficiency Check (MEA) "

Ok thanks…

Last year it was not a requirement - lets wait and see what the actual requirements are when they get released next week

Hank Schrader
6th Oct 2023, 10:31
Anyone have a ballpark figure for the number of SO positions Qantas is trying to fill ?

dr dre
6th Oct 2023, 23:27
Anyone have a ballpark figure for the number of SO positions Qantas is trying to fill ?

Bare minimum 1500 over 10 years. At the moment each monthly course is between 15-20.

aseriesofleftturns
7th Oct 2023, 12:42
Is there any consistency in how many days off an SO can expect a month?

AQIS Boigu
7th Oct 2023, 12:47

Could someone post junior rosters for the 787 and 330 (MEL/SYD bases)?

TIA

high_flyer747
8th Oct 2023, 04:06
Have a number of friends who have used PATS in Melbourne for SHL testing
Couple a few weeks ago , all got through
Since heard a number of guys I know used them for QF mainline back last year, all started
Very slick is the word
Bit like Keyser Soze

Has anyone here used PATS in Melbourne? Right now they are charging $5000 !!! Any info would be appreciated.

Kaboobla
8th Oct 2023, 06:34
FWIW my Nephew just did simulator preparation with the Nexgen Aviation Training guys in Brisbane. Said it was excellent. He was a cadet straight out of Wellcamp however.

I used PATS for my EK interview many moons ago. Wasn't 5K then.....

Hollywood1
8th Oct 2023, 10:40
Do cadets have a special pathway to QF mainline like they do with JQ and Qlink? Just curious.

Fonz121
8th Oct 2023, 23:15

A roster is 56 days. You'll probably not work for about 30 of those.

RM 4.7.1 A minimum of 20 [10] duty free periods (subject to change by agreement between the Company and the Association) will be built into each pattern line, of which 18 [9] will be DDFDs.

ScepticalOptomist
8th Oct 2023, 23:55
A roster is 56 days. You'll probably not work for about 30 of those.

RM 4.7.1 A minimum of 20 [10] duty free periods (subject to change by agreement between the Company and the Association) will be built into each pattern line, of which 18 [9] will be DDFDs.

For clarity the days in [square brackets] is for 28 day rosters…

Fonz121
9th Oct 2023, 00:13
Yeah sorry, should have been clearer with that.

High_To_Low
9th Oct 2023, 04:12
External applications now open - good luck everyone

glekichi
9th Oct 2023, 06:54
Has anyone here used PATS in Melbourne? Right now they are charging $5000 !!! Any info would be appreciated.

Can you guys please just stop throwing money at it to get one up on your colleagues?

Jester64
9th Oct 2023, 14:39
Can you guys please just stop throwing money at it to get one up on your colleagues?

well if you are a dumbass and you know you won’t make the cut, you absolutely need to get a one up on other applicants…$5K is not the way to do it though, there’s a much better and cheaper method

MikeHatter732
10th Oct 2023, 02:12
Best scores first interview , then top of Hold file, first course

You on commission or something are ya? What a load of baloney.

aseriesofleftturns
10th Oct 2023, 07:01
Is the 24 month QF group lockout still a thing?

btrdux
10th Oct 2023, 15:50
So for your $5k what do they actually "do"? Just a bunch of maths/reading whizzes that sit your psychometric testing for you? They have the answer sheet? Something else?

Bringanotherengine
10th Oct 2023, 19:00
Can anyone recommend any other online prep courses for the qantas interviews please.

Thanks

high_flyer747
10th Oct 2023, 21:06
Can anyone recommend any other online prep courses for the qantas interviews please.

Thanks

Pinstripe solutions

high_flyer747
10th Oct 2023, 21:07
So for your $5k what do they actually "do"? Just a bunch of maths/reading whizzes that sit your psychometric testing for you? They have the answer sheet? Something else?

Pretty much on point !!

dr dre
11th Oct 2023, 00:09
Is the 24 month QF group lockout still a thing?

You can apply as a group candidate but it’s now only an 18 month freeze between start dates.

aseriesofleftturns
11th Oct 2023, 04:07
You can apply as a group candidate but it’s now only an 18 month freeze between start dates.

Sorry, should've been clearer. Speaking on those who left the group < 2 years ago.

cap71n
11th Oct 2023, 22:35
Sorry, should've been clearer. Speaking on those who left the group < 2 years ago.

Has anyone actually (voluntarily, not medical related etc) left Qantas (mainline) and returned after a period of time? My imagination says that once that door is closed, it's closed forever.

dr dre
12th Oct 2023, 00:22
Has anyone actually (voluntarily, not medical related etc) left Qantas (mainline) and returned after a period of time? My imagination says that once that door is closed, it's closed forever.

Yes, but if you resign of your own free will and then rejoin you start again from the bottom of the seniority list. The only exception is if you lose your job due to losing your medical but you then regain your medical within 4 years, then you can return at your original seniority.

aseriesofleftturns
12th Oct 2023, 03:24

I was talking about the time frame (if any) from leaving a QF subsidiary and then being eligible for mainline.

yepppp
13th Oct 2023, 03:05
Any chance of someone posting some links to youtube videos etc on info regarding the Mayday board game that forms part of the assessment. TA.

On Guard
13th Oct 2023, 03:23
Any chance of someone posting some links to youtube videos etc on info regarding the Mayday board game that forms part of the assessment. TA.

I wouldn’t stress about the board game, you don’t win or lose. It’s about how you interact and make decisions with peers.

brokenagain
13th Oct 2023, 08:27
​​​​​Any chance of someone posting some links to youtube videos etc on info regarding the Mayday board game that forms part of the assessment. TA.

It’s something you can’t practice for. Just actively participate, don’t be passive and sit back not saying anything, but don’t come in with puffed out chest trying to run the show either.

Hollywood1
13th Oct 2023, 14:37

Looks like JQ and Mainline interviews are similar now, with both using the MayDay board game for the group activity exercise. There are a few YouTube videos of the game;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiMJmGmFFN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IKzaFm3cFA

high_flyer747
14th Oct 2023, 03:38
Anyone done the SHL tests and know specifically which topics they test on?
TIA.

Slippery_Pete
14th Oct 2023, 03:54
They use board games now?

What an absolute load of horse****.

What happened to pilot selection of old:
1. Can they pole an aeroplane around the sky with a decent instrument scan, plus:
2. Can I sit next to this person for 12 hours?

”Talent Acquisition” is just another industry of bureaucratic, self-fulfilling BS and epitomises what’s wrong with the Qantas group. Can’t see the wood for the trees.

Still waiting for Qantas group to offer scholarships that target “equal gender employment” in all their roles - like bag chuckers. You know, those occupations that Qantas can’t make PR mileage out of equal opportunity.

morno
14th Oct 2023, 04:19

1. Can they pole an aeroplane around the sky with a decent instrument scan, plus:

”Talent Acquisition” is just another industry of bureaucratic, self-fulfilling BS and epitomises what’s wrong with the Qantas group. Can’t see the wood for the trees.

Still waiting for Qantas group to offer scholarships that target “equal gender employment” in all their roles - like bag chuckers. You know, those occupations that Qantas can’t make PR mileage out of equal opportunity.

They still do those things, but with CRM being such a huge focus these days, I don’t see what’s wrong with having a method to assess those skills.

Oh by the way, I THIIIINK that the game was developed by a pilot. Does that suit your requirements?

Oldbrigade
14th Oct 2023, 05:17
And the Talent Acquisition team is made up of something 20 something year olds who want you to tell them all about empathy and how you recognised and conquered your weaknesses. You must have “awesome” and “reaching out “ in your hourly vocabulary..

morno
14th Oct 2023, 05:22
And the Talent Acquisition team is made up of something 20 something year olds who who want you to tell them all about empathy and how you recognised and conquered your weaknesses. You must have “awesome” and “reaching out “ in your hourly vocabulary..

It’s actually not :ugh:

The interview teams are made up of a group of pilots, and HR staff who at least when I did it, were definitely not 20 somethings :rolleyes:

dr dre
14th Oct 2023, 06:49

Last time they ran recruitment they got 4-5x as many applicants as positions available. Most people can fly well, and most are decent enough to be friendly and sit next to for 12 hours. So then choosing out of those people who gets a job can be tricky. That's where more innate values such as teamwork, leadership, communication, 'soft skills' can be the factor in who gets a job or not.

And the Talent Acquisition team is made up of something 20 something year olds who who want you to tell them all about empathy and how you recognised and conquered your weaknesses.

That's something all pilots should have in their skill set. If (as a pilot) I'm going to employ another pilot I want to know how this person is going to deal with hurdles and obstacles they may face in training or on the line? If they get stuck in the training program how are they going to overcome any weak points they might have? Or are they going to be arrogant and say they have no weaknesses, or blame their problems on others?

On the issue of empathy, yes I do want my colleagues to look out for other colleagues, to care for their wellbeing and understand the concerns of others. Because a person who doesn't have empathy is usually a bit of a knob, and no one likes them. If you think that isn't important during Covid the value of empathy amongst pilots was widely understood and appreciated. No one mocked it then.

Wouldn't you rather work with humble people who care for others? Or arrogant knobs who care only for themselves?

Oldbrigade
14th Oct 2023, 11:30
Yep agree with all that, however most candidates today have not been in the industry long enough to have any idea as to what empathy is all about. It is an acquired culture , obtained after years of exposure to the profession. It takes years to develop a sound airline pilot, but as long as the candidate can demonstrate motivation and reasonable competency, it should be considered a good starting point. I challenge any interview panel to guarantee that a two hundred hour candidate will have all the attributes required to satisfy the long term culture of the employer.

Beer Baron
14th Oct 2023, 12:28
They have actually managed to achieve that metric already. There are the now the exact same amount of female and male baggage handlers employed by Qantas.
You’d think people would be happy about it but apparently there has been a court case (or 3) over it. Qantas just can get a break. ;)

dr dre
14th Oct 2023, 13:08
Yep agree with all that, however most candidates today have not been in the industry long enough to have any idea as to what empathy is all about. It is an acquired culture , obtained after years of exposure to the profession.

Do you understand what empathy is? It's really something specific to an individual, and doesn't have much to do with experience. Some of the least empathetic people I've ever met are older and have been in the industry for decades.

​​​​​​​It takes years to develop a sound airline pilot, but as long as the candidate can demonstrate motivation and reasonable competency, it should be considered a good starting point.

Which is generally what good airline recruitment does.

​​​​​​​I challenge any interview panel to guarantee that a two hundred hour candidate will have all the attributes required to satisfy the long term culture of the employer.

No one can guarantee that but you can gear your selection process to identify who will be more likely to display those attributes.

morno
14th Oct 2023, 20:38
Yep agree with all that, however most candidates today have not been in the industry long enough to have any idea as to what empathy is all about. It is an acquired culture , obtained after years of exposure to the profession. It takes years to develop a sound airline pilot, but as long as the candidate can demonstrate motivation and reasonable competency, it should be considered a good starting point. I challenge any interview panel to guarantee that a two hundred hour candidate will have all the attributes required to satisfy the long term culture of the employer.

Queue the “back in my day” music.

Mate the idea of recruitment for an airline at least, is to pick people who can show that they can be developed into sound airline pilots. This includes cadets. If your check and training system plus your line pilots can’t help develop a cadet, then there’s clearly some issues with it.

cloudsurfng
14th Oct 2023, 20:58
They have actually managed to achieve that metric already. There are the now the exact same amount of female and male baggage handlers employed by Qantas.
You’d think people would be happy about it but apparently there has been a court case (or 3) over it. Qantas just can get a break. ;)

haha brilliant. You’re right! Exactly the same
amount employed by Q

C441
14th Oct 2023, 22:17
It's not just Qantas. As we drove to the airport in Brissy recently my wife commented on the lack of male pilots displayed on any of the airline's advertising billboards.

ShandywithSugar
15th Oct 2023, 02:47
A re-fueler has mentioned just less than 200 or so mainline pilots applied to be pilot recruiters for this next intake , looks like crew want to have a say in who they work with and not quotas.

dr dre
15th Oct 2023, 04:30
A re-fueler has mentioned just less than 200 or so mainline pilots applied to be pilot recruiters for this next intake , looks like crew want to have a say in who they work with and not quotas.

There aren’t quotas. Over the last several years, both pre and post Covid, the % of female recruits roughly matches the % of female applicants.

For all those who talk about “quotas” I ask if they are seeing levels of competence decreasing due to these supposed “quotas”. Then they usually are forced to admit the current generation of recruits are generally competent, hard working and good people to go flying with, as most are.

Oldbrigade
15th Oct 2023, 07:37
The back in my day successful guys who have retired at 65 with unblemished careers and runs on the board are numerous. Most of us would never have achieved our 25000K plus hours on many different fleets, had we not had the talent and know how to adjust and move with all of the best world practice traits. I guarantee we know our stuff, our record proves it, and if we express a view here, it is not on a social whim, but based on cold hard experience.

Ladloy
15th Oct 2023, 07:41
The back in my day successful guys who have retired at 65 with unblemished careers and runs on the board are numerous. Most of us would never have achieved our 25000K plus hours on many different fleets, had we not had the talent and know how to adjust and move with all of the best world practice traits. I guarantee we know our stuff, our record proves it, and if we express a view here, it is not on a social whim, but based on cold hard experience.
Modest too.

morno
15th Oct 2023, 09:44

I have no doubt. But things change and just because you did it that way, doesn’t mean there’s not better ways of doing it.

ShandywithSugar
15th Oct 2023, 22:17
Over the last several years, both pre and post Covid, the % of female recruits roughly matches the % of female applicants. sounds like 99% success rate then? Not digging you Dr I value your work here but that looks like a quota being filled.

dr dre
15th Oct 2023, 23:03
sounds like 99% success rate then? Not digging you Dr I value your work here but that looks like a quota being filled.

No - to make it clear what I mean is women are being hired at roughly the same rate as they apply.

So if 1000 people apply and 100 of them are hired, if 10% are female (100 female applicants) then roughly 10 of the 100 hires are female.

So no favouritism shown (ie no quota).

ScepticalOptomist
16th Oct 2023, 07:43
No - to make it clear what I mean is women are being hired at roughly the same rate as they apply.

So if 1000 people apply and 100 of them are hired, if 10% are female (100 female applicants) then roughly 10 of the 100 hires are female.

So no favouritism shown (ie no quota).

That’s not necessarily true. Statistics and lies..

Oldbrigade
16th Oct 2023, 08:12
yep, indeed, because we know how good results are generated. Not by social media, not by hubris, but by seriously understanding aviation. QF is only one of many legacy Airlines. It is not the benchmark of all things to all aviators. It is a great Airline, and it’s safety record is unsurpassed, but going forward, HR should have more confidence in flight operations to totally control the agenda, hence my original comments on this forum, and yes, I have worked for QF, and
I am not angry.

Ladloy
16th Oct 2023, 08:52
If there's a quota they're doing a terrible job fulfilling it.

dr dre
16th Oct 2023, 10:08
If there's a quota they're doing a terrible job fulfilling it.

Exactly. Roughly 1-3 women on each course of about 12-20.

I think a lot of the fear spread about supposed ‘quotas’ is from some pilots who weren’t successful with their application but can’t accept it, so they take comfort in believing they fell victim to the mythical ‘quota’.

Eaglerocker
17th Oct 2023, 00:57
anyone know of the average time on a hold fire for internals (JQ). im aware it could be a while, just curious

Climb150
17th Oct 2023, 01:19
Exactly. Roughly 1-3 women on each course of about 12-20.

I think a lot of the fear spread about supposed ‘quotas’ is from some pilots who weren’t successful with their application but can’t accept it, so they take comfort in believing they fell victim to the mythical ‘quota’.

Have you ever heard of a women having an interview at Mainline and getting rejected?

morno
17th Oct 2023, 01:22
Have you ever heard of a women having an interview at Mainline and getting rejected?

Why does it matter? Did you get rejected?

soseg
17th Oct 2023, 01:55
Yes. I know a few.

A320 Flyer
17th Oct 2023, 01:56

3 of them on my interview day got rejected so they are definitely not just rubber stamping them

Ollie Onion
17th Oct 2023, 02:58
What a strange turn to the thread, who cares if female candidates are accepted at a higher rate (I don’t think that is true). Having more diversity amongst the Pilot ranks has to be a good thing after all. Maybe the Female candidates with the higher acceptance rate are just better candidates?

Freeotispriest2020
17th Oct 2023, 11:56
What a strange turn to the thread, who cares if female candidates are accepted at a higher rate (I don’t think that is true). Having more diversity amongst the Pilot ranks has to be a good thing after all. Maybe the Female candidates with the higher acceptance rate are just better candidates?
Is it just females who can get in off single pilot operations or does he/him candidates also get a chance?

morno
17th Oct 2023, 13:00
Is it just females who can get in off single pilot operations or does he/him candidates also get a chance?

Indeed they do get a chance. I know some who did. All you guys who think the women of the world are stopping you from getting jobs are full of it. They’re not making any difference.

Climb150
17th Oct 2023, 13:04
Why does it matter? Did you get rejected?
I love how my genuine question was turned around to look like some sort of sour grapes on my part.

I have never applied to Qantas and have no intention of ever doing so.

AQIS Boigu
18th Oct 2023, 02:45

IR can be expired according to the application template

Hollywood1
18th Oct 2023, 03:40
IR can be expired according to the application template

My interpretation of "Hold a current Instrument Proficiency Check (MEA) " is that IR has to be current.

Bringanotherengine
18th Oct 2023, 05:55
Hi

Can someone please outline the qf mainline selection process please and how its done etc,

Is the SHL online test difficult?

Apart from pinstripe solutions and pats any other recommendations to prep for the tests.

Thanks all for your input.

morno
18th Oct 2023, 06:15
Wake up, have a coffee, bang out the test, get your interview invite and Google methods to answer interview questions.

Done, costs you nothing.

On Guard
19th Oct 2023, 01:02
Thanks just bought this. Do you know if it’sthe interactive or non-interactive general ability they test?

Have you got a psyc test already? Panic slowly if not.

high_flyer747
19th Oct 2023, 01:33
Have you got a psyc test already? Panic slowly if not.

No I havent im assuming it will be soon though?

On Guard
19th Oct 2023, 01:49
No I havent im assuming it will be soon though?

There is quite a high cull rate (I was told 200/2000 got through last time) so I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm but I’d suggest prep once you have an invite. The invite gives examples so you then know which style shl tests to practice. However if you want to practice I’d suggest numerical and verbal reasoning and patterns since you’ve already subscribed.

Good luck!

Eaglerocker
19th Oct 2023, 01:55
anyone know if any internals recieved a psyc test yet?

Skankhunt
19th Oct 2023, 07:18
Any externals have replys yet ?

high_flyer747
20th Oct 2023, 01:37
Any externals have replys yet ?

nope nothing yet and im assuming nothing anytime soon…

Hollywood1
22nd Oct 2023, 11:33
Anyone have a rough guess of when invitations for psychometric testing will be out? (Asking for a friend).

If you've sat for a SHL psychometric test in the last 12 months for the Qantas group, will you be required to sit another one? I understand Talent Acquisition keeps past records of your SHL tests? (Asking for a friend).

MBA747
22nd Oct 2023, 20:38
Some queries.
1. How does QF Cargo recruit pilots?
2. If one accepts a QF Cargo position as a FO does the promotion within cargo apply only to cargo pilots or can mainline pilots bid for say a command because they have a higher seniority number than say a cargo FO?
3. Does QF Cargo Pilots have their own EBA?
Would appreciate some answers.
Thanks

Brakerider
22nd Oct 2023, 21:06
Some queries.
1. How does QF Cargo recruit pilots?
2. If one accepts a QF Cargo position as a FO does the promotion within cargo apply only to cargo pilots or can mainline pilots bid for say a command because they have a higher seniority number than say a cargo FO?
3. Does QF Cargo Pilots have their own EBA?
Would appreciate some answers.
Thanks

'Qantas Freight' is operated by the wholly owned subsidiary 'Express Freighters Australia'. It is a separate company for all intents and purposes to QF Mainline. They have their own EBA and "seniority".

Fridayflyer
23rd Oct 2023, 01:11
Anyone know how many remaining on the current hold file to be cleared before this round of recruitment will receive start dates?

On Guard
23rd Oct 2023, 02:41
Anyone know how many remaining on the current hold file to be cleared before this round of recruitment will receive start dates?

Don't know how many, but all externals on hold will be assigned courses by June. That indicates to me that new hires are for July onwards.

Eaglerocker
23rd Oct 2023, 05:06
Also question regardings sims. i know a few years ago internals were exempt from the sim so long as they had been in the company for 2 years. anyone know if thats still the case ? or do all internals not do a sim anymore regardless of how long they have been in the company

VH-RME
23rd Oct 2023, 08:20
Other than just saying they're great, can anyone explain what PATS actually does for you?

Fly-by-Wife
23rd Oct 2023, 10:14
Other than just saying they're great, can anyone explain what PATS actually does for you?
Do a google search - you find results like these:

https://archive.sclqld.org.au/qjudgment/2021/QDC21-140.pdf

https://www.complaintsboard.com/pilot-aptitude-training-systems-scam-c802827

https://www.pissedconsumer.com/pilot-aptitude-training-systems/RT-F.html#reviews

MikeHatter732
24th Oct 2023, 05:56
Do a google search - you find results like these:

https://archive.sclqld.org.au/qjudgment/2021/QDC21-140.pdf

https://www.complaintsboard.com/pilot-aptitude-training-systems-scam-c802827

https://www.pissedconsumer.com/pilot-aptitude-training-systems/RT-F.html#reviews
Makikoooooo.... where are you??????

Oh I guess he was just in on the scam too!

morno
24th Oct 2023, 07:10
He appears to have deleted the post about PATS too :D

I can tell you now, I’m not that smart, yet I managed to get through the psychometric and general ability tests by simply doing a few practice tests and then just got stuck into it. And was also offered a start very soon after. So I highly question his claim about being ranked as well :hmm:

Skankhunt
24th Oct 2023, 19:17
Anyone know actual starting pay as a Qantas SO?
And what is current time to FO? Say 787 Sydney position.

info I have is:

787: SO 125k FO 235k
A380: SO 110k FO 210k
A330: SO 110k FO 190k

737 FO 145k

Lapon
24th Oct 2023, 23:43
And what is current time to FO? Say 787 Sydney position.

info I have is:

787: SO 125k FO 235k
A380: SO 110k FO 210k
A330: SO 110k FO 190k

737 FO 145k

Thats a question that never really gets a straight answer here, but from what Ive learnt those figures are about right (I don't have a clue about the 380 - I would have expected more, but don't know).

There are all sorts of allowances, overtime, incentives etc on top of those figures, but of course thats the case for nearly every pilot at every other company too.

*Technically there is/was a much reduced training wage that is the starting rate too.

RatherBeFlying07
25th Oct 2023, 01:06

Actual starting pay is $80,838.42 per annum or $3,109.17 per fortnight. $2,401.17 each pay after tax.

transition_alt
25th Oct 2023, 02:54
Actual starting pay is $80,838.42 per annum or $3,109.17 per fortnight or $2,401.17 each pay after tax.

Only until checked to line (10-12 weeks).

mcgrath50
25th Oct 2023, 03:07
Only until checked to line (10-12 weeks).

What happens if you go onto the 737 straight away, which I assume has a lengthier training footprint?

engine out
25th Oct 2023, 05:17
On training wage still until check out on 737

mcgrath50
25th Oct 2023, 05:28
How many weeks/months would that usually take? I assume a bit longer than for SO. And my understanding is now overtime is paid, but allowances are?

May put you below award wage for a 73 driver!

morno
25th Oct 2023, 06:02
How many weeks/months would that usually take? I assume a bit longer than for SO. And my understanding is now overtime is paid, but allowances are?

May put you below award wage for a 73 driver!

Technically not, because you’re not a 737 FO. You’re a second officer undergoing promotion.

transition_alt
25th Oct 2023, 07:50
What happens if you go onto the 737 straight away, which I assume has a lengthier training footprint?

737 courses are 14 weeks for transitional training. Probably add a few for a new joiner.

framer
25th Oct 2023, 08:45
How many 737 pilots are there in QF and when do the A320’s start to arrive? I’m wondering if people will end up joining and being offered an A320 course on day 1 in an effort to reduce the training overlap.

morno
25th Oct 2023, 08:55
How many 737 pilots are there in QF and when do the A320’s start to arrive? I’m wondering if people will end up joining and being offered an A320 course on day 1 in an effort to reduce the training overlap.

That would only occur if there were to be a lack of internal bidders. Exactly the same as what’s happening with the 737 now.

cloudsurfng
25th Oct 2023, 20:04
Plus Q can assign from the 737 to the 321 if they deem there is a surplus of 737 pilots.

Sydney is the first base, apparently all of Sydney will be changed to the 321 before any other base gets a look in. Of course their plans never work and this will be over a significant period of time. Expect it will be quite a junior fleet to begin with due training freeze, until they get to the point where there are no more ‘unfrozen’ 737 pilots who want to go, then they will look at frozen pilots who want to go.

dr dre
26th Oct 2023, 04:41
Plus Q can assign from the 737 to the 321 if they deem there is a surplus of 737 pilots.

I think it’ll be quite popular so there’ll be no need to assign anyone.

Sydney is the first base, apparently all of Sydney will be changed to the 321 before any other base gets a look in.

Nah they’ll have to share basings around otherwise it’ll become too top heavy in location. A quarter of SH pilots are based in Sydney,

Thumb War
26th Oct 2023, 06:01
Hasn’t it already been announced that Sydney and Perth will be the initial bases? Clearly they’ll be based all over eventually but who knows the timeline or order.

dr dre
26th Oct 2023, 23:14
Nothing formal has been announced for the A321 apart from training and technical positions. The first 3 won’t even be here til mid 2025 so far off announcing solid plans yet.

Eventually however the plan will be for all bases to be fully transferred to the 321 in 10 years, but there’ll be some 737 bases remaining too as that aircraft will keep operating for 10 years. They may run 2 aircraft per base for a while and then eventually fully transfer all flying to the 321 but the exact timeframe for that hasn’t been decided.

Bringanotherengine
27th Oct 2023, 03:22
Hi All

Is the online SHL test the interactive type or non interactive.

Thanks

Swept-Wing
27th Oct 2023, 15:43
Hi All

Is the online SHL test the interactive type or non interactive.

Thanks

Non interactive

Bringanotherengine
30th Oct 2023, 08:11
Thanks

Transition Layer
30th Oct 2023, 10:33
Nothing formal has been announced for the A321 apart from training and technical positions. The first 3 won’t even be here til mid 2025 so far off announcing solid plans yet.

Eventually however the plan will be for all bases to be fully transferred to the 321 in 10 years, but there’ll be some 737 bases remaining too as that aircraft will keep operating for 10 years. They may run 2 aircraft per base for a while and then eventually fully transfer all flying to the 321 but the exact timeframe for that hasn’t been decided.
Except Adelaide have been told they won’t get 321s, so the base will probably die a natural death when the 737 goes.

cloudsurfng
31st Oct 2023, 08:59

stuff has been ‘announced’, just not to the general pilot population. But Sydney base is first. Followed by Perth. You can bet your bottom dollar that Q will engineer it so all positions are reserved for 737 pilots to minimise cross training.

dr dre
31st Oct 2023, 11:37
stuff has been ‘announced’, just not to the general pilot population. But Sydney base is first. Followed by Perth. You can bet your bottom dollar that Q will engineer it so all positions are reserved for 737 pilots to minimise cross training.

Well that’s 100% happening - it was in the variation to the EA adopted last year. Current 737 pilots get first pick, then if not enough put their hands up it goes to general bidding, but I think they’ll get enough to put their hands up for it from current 737 crew

On Guard
31st Oct 2023, 23:05
Anyone know what start date 787 courses are filling currently?

Beer Baron
1st Nov 2023, 01:14
Current 737 pilots get first pick, then if not enough put their hands up it goes to general bidding, but I think they’ll get enough to put their hands up for it from current 737 crew
That is not correct.
Reserved positions only exist if there is a surplus on the 737. The 321 will need crew before the first 737 retires so there will be no surplus initially. Also dozens of 737 crew take LH positions every year so that will absorb mulch of the surplus.
There will be some reserved 321 positions but expect plenty of the 321 slots to be filled by LH pilot promotions.

cloudsurfng
1st Nov 2023, 07:31
That is not correct.
Reserved positions only exist if there is a surplus on the 737. The 321 will need crew before the first 737 retires so there will be no surplus initially. Also dozens of 737 crew take LH positions every year so that will absorb mulch of the surplus.
There will be some reserved 321 positions but expect plenty of the 321 slots to be filled by LH pilot promotions.

qantas will do what is the least cost. While in the perfect qantas pilot bubble seniority would determine the positions, there will be minimal, if any, positions on the 321, at least in the LHS, available to LH crew.

that’s how Q has always worked.

given the hours we do in the LHS I can’t see how they will claim there is ever a surplus, but they’ll find a way. They always do.

maggot
1st Nov 2023, 21:59
qantas will do what is the least cost. While in the perfect qantas pilot bubble seniority would determine the positions, there will be minimal, if any, positions on the 321, at least in the LHS, available to LH crew.

that’s how Q has always worked.

given the hours we do in the LHS I can’t see how they will claim there is ever a surplus, but they’ll find a way. They always do.

Yeah the initials will not be promotions. QF went to great effort to write the variation to fill it with 737 crew as much as will be possible and we all know they're capable of engineering the situation to fit their intentions.

high_flyer747
1st Nov 2023, 22:12
Anyone heard back from QF yet since applications opened up?

Skankhunt
2nd Nov 2023, 01:18
Na nothing yet here. Closes November 5 so maybe hear something then.

morno
2nd Nov 2023, 05:54
And don’t be shocked if it takes another month beyond that to get an invitation for your aptitude test.

The main point here is don’t stress about it yet or get heavily invested into courses designed to get you through the aptitude tests or interviews, because it could be a slow process. Worst case, you may not even get an invitation this time round.

Chillax for a while and think of other things

morno
16th Nov 2023, 18:49
Still stuck in GA. But I'm curious, can Qantas pilots go on their phones in flight and just use wifi to scroll the web/socials? What's SOP's around that?

Are you kidding? :ugh:

Mr Mossberg
16th Nov 2023, 20:25
morno...............you fell for it :}

morno
16th Nov 2023, 20:29
morno...............you fell for it :}

It had to be a joke, surely, but just to make sure…

aseriesofleftturns
17th Nov 2023, 08:30
The no’s have gone out.

high_flyer747
17th Nov 2023, 20:37
The no’s have gone out.

you talking about QF applications right? Anyone else heard anything?

Chuck_YeagerBomb
17th Nov 2023, 21:20
The no’s have gone out.

High time, current Boeing guys who left the QF group less than 2 years ago? I know of at least one who got the ‘no’. Not even psych testing, the unwritten 24 month rule must still be in place 🤷🏼

skypilot646
17th Nov 2023, 22:33
Do all the no’s get sent out on the same day?

RollThroughApproved
18th Nov 2023, 00:06
High time, current Boeing guys who left the QF group less than 2 years ago? I know of at least one who got the ‘no’. Not even psych testing, the unwritten 24 month rule must still be in place 🤷🏼

Happened on the last EOI too to some really good candidates. Even guys who moved on (without malice or a temper tantrum) from subsidiaries because of the uncertainty of COVID were given no emails.

Fridayflyer
18th Nov 2023, 07:18
What are the likely fleet and base allocations at the moment?

morno
18th Nov 2023, 12:25
Quite frankly, it could literally be on anything just about anywhere at the moment. The exceptions maybe Brisbane base, Adelaide, and Perth 737.

SandyPalms
18th Nov 2023, 12:41
Quite frankly, it could literally be on anything just about anywhere at the moment. The exceptions maybe Brisbane base, Adelaide, and Perth 737.

Looks, at the moment, like Perth is full in all categories. Brisbane will always be full, and Adelaide seems to be finished. Maybe Paris will change things for Perth, but I'd plan on Sydney or Melbourne (S/O or 737 F/O) then you won't be disappointed.

RollThroughApproved
19th Nov 2023, 00:04
Anyone think they will revisit DE on the A380?

soseg
19th Nov 2023, 01:46
There’s F100 or A320 FO positions in Perth if you’re keen on the west.

ShandywithSugar
19th Nov 2023, 02:39
There’s F100 or A320 FO positions in Perth if you’re keen on the west.

Wrong thread soseg

This is Qantas Recruitment , not subsidiary recruitment.

dr dre
19th Nov 2023, 05:32
Looks, at the moment, like Perth is full in all categories. Brisbane will always be full, and Adelaide seems to be finished. Maybe Paris will change things for Perth, but I'd plan on Sydney or Melbourne (S/O or 737 F/O) then you won't be disappointed.

Every few months there’s base transfers for SOs. So if you want to end up in BNE or PER as an SO is to try to get allocated initially to the 330/350 for the former or 787 for the latter, commute for a while then within 6-12 months or so a base transfer should happen.

There’s no 787 planned flying out of BNE for a long time so there’ll be no SO growth there.

morno
19th Nov 2023, 07:27
Every few months there’s base transfers for SOs. So if you want to end up in BNE or PER as an SO is to try to get allocated initially to the 330/350 for the former or 787 for the latter, commute for a while then within 6-12 months or so a base transfer should happen.

There’s no 787 planned flying out of BNE for a long time so there’ll be no SO growth there.

Apparently an oversupply of 330 SO’s in Brisy as well, so I doubt there’ll be any transfers to there for a while.

RealSatoshi
19th Nov 2023, 08:19
From what I hear, this seems to be a common trend and not just applicable to ex QF group pilots, but the majority of highly experienced high time pilots with real world, not just red-rock experience.

It seems the TAFE qualified Talent Acquisition gate-keepers missed the TAFE week (or day), where 'Cost-of-Experience and the lack thereof...' was discussed. In turn, they are focussing all their energy on young Yes-Men (and Women). Most probable that with all going on around the island, QF IR have finally figured out that those who come with real world experience, also expect real world conditions and are quick to raise their hands and vote down substandard EBA proposals, therefore choosing not to stack the deck against themselves by employing this cohort :E

On Guard
19th Nov 2023, 09:03

I’m starting in Feb and we are happy to live in MEL or SYD. Is SYD the better choice for us to settle long term, ie I assume most fleet types will have basings there as I progress up the seniority list?

aussieflyboy
19th Nov 2023, 09:31
I’m starting in Feb and we are happy to live in MEL or SYD. Is SYD the better choice for us to settle long term, ie I assume most fleet types will have basings there as I progress up the seniority list?

Live where you and more importantly your family want to live. If you put this job ahead of them you’ll regret it when (and it will be when with this mob!) the job let’s you down.

dr dre
19th Nov 2023, 09:37

QF is a career airline and in the long run there’s probably only a few years difference between bases in terms of which one gets promotions quicker and in a 20-30 year career it probably won’t seem too different.

Commands or different aircraft may come quicker in one base this year, somewhere different the next and somewhere totally different in 10, 20 years time. They were close to staring a Singapore base in the mid 2000s, a London base was talked about a long time ago, who knows where in the future?

You may end up commuting at some point to get a quicker promotion, obviously commuting is easier in LH, some manage to pull it off in SH successfully however. I would hazard a guess and say most pilots would undergo at least one commute at some point during their career.

Your decision on where to live is probably more geared to where you and your family desire to live and where you can afford to live, and how far you are willing to commute to work via car or aircraft. You can live in a rural area if you want, might make taking a SH job with day trips a bit difficult. There’s some QF pilots who commute successfully from other countries.

Beer Baron
19th Nov 2023, 09:42
From what I hear, this seems to be a common trend and not just applicable to ex QF group pilots, but the majority of highly experienced high time pilots with real world, not just red-rock experience.

It seems the TAFE qualified Talent Acquisition gate-keepers missed the TAFE week (or day), where 'Cost-of-Experience and the lack thereof...' was discussed. In turn, they are focussing all their energy on young Yes-Men (and Women). Most probable that with all going on around the island, QF IR have finally figured out that those who come with real world experience, also expect real world conditions and are quick to raise their hands and vote down substandard EBA proposals, therefore choosing not to stack the deck against themselves by employing this cohort :E
That certainly doesn’t seem to be the case. The new guys and girls I’m flying with week in, week out are seriously experienced.
A350 check and training Captain, F35 pilot/trainer, A330 MRTT Captain, etc. 95% are coming from another airline. I can’t remember the last time we hired an instructor or a charter/piston twin pilot. No disrespect to the latter, just observing the recruits coming through.

RealSatoshi
19th Nov 2023, 11:39
That certainly doesn’t seem to be the case. The new guys and girls I’m flying with week in, week out are seriously experienced.
A350 check and training Captain, F35 pilot/trainer, A330 MRTT Captain, etc. 95% are coming from another airline. I can’t remember the last time we hired an instructor or a charter/piston twin pilot. No disrespect to the latter, just observing the recruits coming through.
True - my reference was towards the latest round of No's that went out last week and rightfully so, could be skewed as a sample in size and makeup...

morno
19th Nov 2023, 15:17
That’s a nice conspiracy theory you’ve got going on there Satoshi, but I think you’re a long way off the mark.

Similar stories to the round last year, but as has been said, a lot of very highly experienced pilots got hired.

SandyPalms
19th Nov 2023, 21:13
Just like most posts on this website, it’s just made up Bull****.

Ed.flybus
19th Nov 2023, 22:49
Hi Guys,I hold an ICAO ATPL license with a Type Rating for A319/320/321, and I have accumulated a total flight experience of 1800 hours, with over 1600 hours specifically on the A320. I am currently seeking employment with another airline, and I have discovered that Qantas is currently recruiting Type-Rated A220 First Officers for foreigners. Would it be wise for me to invest in an A220 type rating course at my own expense and apply to Qantas?

Swept-Wing
20th Nov 2023, 00:34
Absolutely couldn’t be further off the mark Satoshi.
haven’t heard of a ‘GA types’ getting the nod since circa 2018.
in fact my internal friends starting recently with thousands of hours jet time are telling me they are the least experienced on their course!

RealSatoshi
20th Nov 2023, 01:25
Could / Should / Would be wrong...who knows :cool:

Do find it interesting that people of a certain demographic get culled before any form of testing and/or intervention. The one's I've spoken to (not hearsay) must be dyslexic or something, having made multiple spelling mistakes on their applications, or otherwise how would those experience levels get 'filtered' out so effortlessly :}

...anyway, not my Beef not my Bacon.

mince
20th Nov 2023, 01:55
I reckon there’s an unwritten rule that if you don’t have a degree, they aren’t interested.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Ladloy
20th Nov 2023, 02:28
I reckon there’s an unwritten rule that if you don’t have a degree, they aren’t interested.

That's very wrong. Majority of rex pilots don't have a degree and they're being 'pillaged'

A320 Flyer
20th Nov 2023, 08:08
Hi Guys,I hold an ICAO ATPL license with a Type Rating for A319/320/321, and I have accumulated a total flight experience of 1800 hours, with over 1600 hours specifically on the A320. I am currently seeking employment with another airline, and I have discovered that Qantas is currently recruiting Type-Rated A220 First Officers for foreigners. Would it be wise for me to invest in an A220 type rating course at my own expense and apply to Qantas?

hahaha

morno
20th Nov 2023, 12:01

Mate I’m a complete dumbarse with a degree in beer drinking only, yet I managed to get in. So there’s another theory down the drain.

the_rookie
20th Nov 2023, 12:20
Absolutely couldn’t be further off the mark Satoshi.
haven’t heard of a ‘GA types’ getting the nod since circa 2018.
in fact my internal friends starting recently with thousands of hours jet time are telling me they are the least experienced on their course!

'GA types' definitely are getting the nod

ScepticalOptomist
21st Nov 2023, 10:07
Mate I’m a complete dumbarse with a degree in beer drinking only, yet I managed to get in. So there’s another theory down the drain.

Which group airline did you start with?

morno
21st Nov 2023, 11:11
Which group airline did you start with?

I didn’t

MargoRivers
21st Nov 2023, 13:25
you talking about QF applications right? Anyone else heard anything?
I got an email today for the online SHL tests. Testing window closes on the 6th Dec.

Skankhunt
21st Nov 2023, 19:20
Any advice for the online assessment? Got the nod so far. External applicant. ATR driver.
Help get me home!

cLeArIcE
21st Nov 2023, 22:27

I've successfully got in to 3 group airlines over the years with no degree.

RealSatoshi
22nd Nov 2023, 02:23
Any advice for the online assessment? Got the nod so far. External applicant. ATR driver.
Help get me home!

...in fact my internal friends starting recently with thousands of hours jet time are telling me they are the least experienced on their course!
No Comment :E

airbus4lyfe
22nd Nov 2023, 06:47
Help get me home!

SHLis the provider, have 2 weeks to complete. Would recommend job test prep for aptitude and EAT for interview work/write up.

Who stole my meds
22nd Nov 2023, 10:49
Does Jetstar use the same questions bank as Qantas???

Sparrows.
22nd Nov 2023, 17:42
Does Jetstar use the same questions bank as Qantas???

No

need a minimum of 5 characters apparently

Skankhunt
22nd Nov 2023, 21:18
Does anyone know what version SHL test they use?

from Jobtestprep. There are two versions of the test:

SHL Verify Interactive - 24 questions in 36 minutes
SHL General Ability Non-Interactive (multiple choice) - 30 questions in 36 minutes

Swept-Wing
22nd Nov 2023, 22:34
Does anyone know what version SHL test they use?

from Jobtestprep. There are two versions of the test:

SHL Verify Interactive - 24 questions in 36 minutes
SHL General Ability Non-Interactive (multiple choice) - 30 questions in 36 minutes

SHL General Ability Non-Interactive
or at least it was last round.

LHR27L
23rd Nov 2023, 20:40
Is it true that if you're at Jetstar your chances of getting into Mainline are lower or is that an old wives tale?

RealSatoshi
24th Nov 2023, 00:13
Calls for March 2024 starts (SO and FO 737) went out yesterday.

AQIS Boigu
24th Nov 2023, 10:41
Calls for March 2024 starts (SO and FO 737) went out yesterday.

Wonder how many are still left on the hold file after this round of calls?

LostontheLOC
24th Nov 2023, 11:10
Is it true that if you're at Jetstar your chances of getting into Mainline are lower or is that an old wives tale?
Very low, compared to last time there were substantially less applications, considering the absolute bull**** excuses they culled many people last time I understand why people have zero confidence.

Seeing how many people have rejected starts at mainline to stay at Jetstar it's a wonder why they are acting this way.

Eaglerocker
24th Nov 2023, 20:49
How come there would be less chance if there were not as many applications?

high_flyer747
25th Nov 2023, 19:12
Got the no from QF, 6000+ all jet time ex Qantas group employee…makes me wonder what i missed…got told:

“Qantas was fortunate to receive a high volume of qualified applications which met or exceeded both the advertised and preferred minimums”

A320 Flyer
25th Nov 2023, 19:53
ex Qantas group employee…makes me wonder what i missed…

I don’t think you did…… HR were probably wondering why did this pilot leave the group…. And now they want back in….

Don’t be perturbed… have another crack when you can. 1000 total training courses next year is the number they’re now spruiking…. Mainline only

Lapon
25th Nov 2023, 20:51
Got the no from QF, 6000+ all jet time ex Qantas group employee…makes me wonder what i missed...

You've worked for Qantas before and you are experienced?
It probably gave them shivers knowing you would smell BS a mile away. I suspect they value compliance more than competence.

ScepticalOptomist
25th Nov 2023, 21:14
Got the no from QF, 6000+ all jet time ex Qantas group employee…makes me wonder what i missed…got told:

“Qantas was fortunate to receive a high volume of qualified applications which met or exceeded both the advertised and preferred minimums”

Don’t be put off - if it’s what you really want, try again when you can.
Unfortunately QF have always been able to be ultra picky..

morno
25th Nov 2023, 22:22
You've worked for Qantas before and you are experienced?
It probably gave them shivers knowing you would smell BS a mile away. I suspect they value compliance more than competence.

God you spruik some absolute bullsh*t :ugh:

Lapon
25th Nov 2023, 22:42
God you spruik some absolute bullsh*t :ugh:

Relax champ, just trying to make a guy I don't know feel better about something neither of us have an answer to. Not trying to offend the internet.

LostontheLOC
25th Nov 2023, 22:56
How come there would be less chance if there were not as many applications?

Because Jetstar are significantly down on people and can't afford to let them leave.

Ollie Onion
25th Nov 2023, 22:58

Sadly when it comes to the murky world of airline recruitment you just never know, chances are a human didn’t even set eyes on the individual applications prior to the first ‘no’. It will purely depend on whatever criteria they have loaded into the system, 6000 hours may be an advantage or a disadvantage or of no help whatsoever, likewise being an ex Qantas Group employee may no mean anything. I remember going to an Airline interview with a mate, he had a superior application in all respects from my point of view, he went home after day one and I got the job, who the hell knows as he pretty much got the same cut and paste as your reply. If Qantas is where you want to be try again when you can.

Ollie Onion
25th Nov 2023, 23:01
Because Jetstar are significantly down on people and can't afford to let them leave.

Correct, I was told they are authorised to release 2 pilots per month across Australia and NZ and no more. Considering there must be at lease 100 who have a ‘yes’ we are talking years without adding to the hold pool from Jetstar. I know a guy who got a yes in 2021 and has been told maybe May 24 for a start.

Also have two mates on the yes from Qantas for the past year who also have yes’ from Air NZ and interviews with Emirates in December. They will take whichever one comes up first, I suspect it won’t be Qantas.

On Guard
26th Nov 2023, 16:36

Sorry high flyer. I know you had put a lot of prep in.

Sparrows.
26th Nov 2023, 18:26
It will purely depend on whatever criteria they have loaded into the system, 6000 hours may be an advantage or a disadvantage or of no help whatsoever, likewise being an ex Qantas Group employee may no mean anything.l

Pretty sure they do reference checks on all former group employees, and that’s the first step….. I suspect a no with those hours would be linked to a reference. Even if high flyer thinks they left the group on good terms, his file might say otherwise…. :=

Who22
26th Nov 2023, 18:35

Damn, that sucks.... Could it have been something random like accidentally picking the wrong option for a pre-requisite qual question (selecting 'no' to ATPL exams completed instead of 'yes' or something)....

Have you been out of Qantas group for more than 2 years?

RollThroughApproved
26th Nov 2023, 22:20

Are you still in the two year “black ban” period? We were all told that if we leave the group they would not accept an application for any group airline for two years.

Once you served your penance period, the first step would be a reference from your manager.

high_flyer747
27th Nov 2023, 02:01
Sadly when it comes to the murky world of airline recruitment you just never know, chances are a human didn’t even set eyes on the individual applications prior to the first ‘no’. It will purely depend on whatever criteria they have loaded into the system, 6000 hours may be an advantage or a disadvantage or of no help whatsoever, likewise being an ex Qantas Group employee may no mean anything. I remember going to an Airline interview with a mate, he had a superior application in all respects from my point of view, he went home after day one and I got the job, who the hell knows as he pretty much got the same cut and paste as your reply. If Qantas is where you want to be try again when you can.

Thanks Ollie Onion, yeah i agree it all depends on the day and half the recruitment process is based on the people who interview you have a big role.

high_flyer747
27th Nov 2023, 02:32
Don’t be put off - if it’s what you really want, try again when you can.
Unfortunately QF have always been able to be ultra picky..

Thanks mate, the big question is when will the opportunity present itself again…

high_flyer747
27th Nov 2023, 02:33
Sorry high flyer. I know you had put a lot of prep in.

Thanks for your help !! Was a bit hard digesting the email but thought id put it up here as no one talks about it.

high_flyer747
27th Nov 2023, 02:35
Pretty sure they do reference checks on all former group employees, and that’s the first step….. I suspect a no with those hours would be linked to a reference. Even if high flyer thinks they left the group on good terms, his file might say otherwise…. :=

Left on really good terms thanks for the concern though. Golden rule of not burning a bridge as you might have to cross it one day !!

high_flyer747
27th Nov 2023, 02:35
Are you still in the two year “black ban” period? We were all told that if we leave the group they would not accept an application for any group airline for two years.

Once you served your penance period, the first step would be a reference from your manager.

Its been over 4 years now….

RealSatoshi
27th Nov 2023, 02:51
Thanks for your help !! Was a bit hard digesting the email but thought id put it up here as no one talks about it.
Don't take it personal - as mentioned in an earlier post, I know of others that suffered the same fate even though some are north of 10 000 hours TT.

'They' will have you believe they only employ the best, as it suits their personal (looking-in-the-mirror) view, but yet, ATR chaps from Auckland are asking for SHL testing advice :}

Chuck_YeagerBomb
27th Nov 2023, 03:34

Where does this unwritten 24 month ‘black ban’ come from?

Group Policy says the following:

‘Where are former (or current) Employee is being considered for a position with a different Qantas group company within 3 months of their termination date, approval is required from Corporate Industrial Relations’

:rolleyes:

goose1
27th Nov 2023, 03:57
don’t give up mate, I got in the third attempt at age 45. I was happy in between applications to join hence the age bit!

dr dre
27th Nov 2023, 07:58
Its been over 4 years now….

It could be a myriad of reasons. For the recruitment period just closed I believe they had thousands of applicants for a few hundred positions. I guess a lot of suitable people weren’t lucky enough to get invited for testing. And a lot who did won’t make the final cut.

As others have said some are successful after multiple applications (and current plans have them recruiting hundreds per year for a decade) so there’s nothing precluding you from joining in the future, or with your jet experience there are a lot of opportunities in a market where het experienced pilots are in demand.

Hank Schrader
5th Dec 2023, 19:49
Hi anyone having issues completing the SHL test its saying I have missed the deadline my test was due for completion at 23:00 on the 6th December ? I just have the personality one to do.

metro7
5th Dec 2023, 21:16
Had the email say "tuesday, 6th Dec at 2300" double checked via the actual link last night and it was due 05 at 2300. Caught it luckily

pilotbc69
5th Dec 2023, 22:19
Did it say Tuesday the 6th of December? I heard of a few people getting that and almost missing the deadline. Maybe you can get ahold of recruiting and explain your situation if that’s the case and have them extend the date?

itchy_feet
6th Dec 2023, 04:08
Hi anyone having issues completing the SHL test its saying I have missed the deadline my test was due for completion at 23:00 on the 6th December ? I just have the personality one to do.

My email said 4th December however SHL link when clicked indicated the 5th December 2300.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/920x2000/img_2106_69277dd8c0e3f6e182dca2b4115703d5f9c34627.jpeg

RustyFlyerBoy
6th Dec 2023, 06:35
Hi All,

I also just had an issue trying to take the SHL assessment with a "This link is not currently valid" message.

I double checked the deadline and it said Tuesday 06 December 2023, 2300 AEDST. Obviously there is a discrepancy between the day and the date, but one which I hadn't previously noted.

From recent posts on this thread, it looks like the deadline was set in the testing system to 5 Dec 2300 AEDST.

I see I am not the only one caught out by this. I have replied to the email with an explanation of the situation and a plea for an extension.

Does anyone know if that email box is actually monitored or outgoing only? Am I SOL?

UPDATE:

For anyone stuck in the same situation, I received a reply to my email and they recognised there was a problem and have issued a new link to complete the assessments with a deadline extension.

kcboy
6th Dec 2023, 08:53
Is there no psych tests for internals this time?

Swept-Wing
6th Dec 2023, 10:01
Is there no psych tests for internals this time?
This rumour circulates every year after internals don’t get psych testing when externals do.
You will still do a psych test, it’s just staggered with the external psych tests. No idea why you do them second.

Hank Schrader
6th Dec 2023, 12:12

Thankfully they have sorted this very promptly :)

Bringanotherengine
13th Dec 2023, 08:55
Anyone heard back since doing the SHL test last round? Been over 2 weeks and still haven't heard back yet

morno
13th Dec 2023, 11:33
It’s not a super fast process. Sit back and relax.