PDA

View Full Version : Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

seven3heaven
5th Nov 2013, 14:32
As has been pointed out, the management in flight ops are American. And all things stateside are dictated by seniority. So as a new joiner to this wonderful company you will have a 3 year 24k bond hanging over your head and have to sit at the bottom of the seniority ladder enduring crappy rosters. But if you don't like it you can leave and pay off the bond ;)

My PBS roster was very average to say the least, certainly not good enough to stop me looking around.

capfo
5th Nov 2013, 15:31
Hi guys;

First of all I´d like to thank you all for all the information written, it has been very useful for me. Last month I´ve passed my FZ final interview and now I have a DOJ for the beginning of next year.

Now I´m looking for an adequate place to live in Dubai. I´m concerned about the apartment prices, I´ve been checking dubizzle and I´ve seen it´s difficult to find a european standard apartment for less than 2000€/month.

Taking into account that I´ll have to go to the airport maybe 15-18? days per month, I´d prefer to live near the airport than in Marina (for instance). Any recommendation? I´ll go with my wife and we have no kids.

All responses appreciated.

NGFellow
6th Nov 2013, 04:55
Look into Mirdiff. It's 15 mins from the airport (no SALIK toll). Prices are much cheaper than elsewhere. Lots of airline/airport folks live there.

what-to-do
6th Nov 2013, 05:05
Well I've been here over three years and have endured ****ty rosters for most of it.

5 days on, 2 days off...... the 5 days being mixed days and nights. Single days off, finishing on nights and starting on early flights two days later. 12 night flights in a month, alternating duties, rest periods between 18-30 hours..... the list goes on.

I've had to wait a long time to be able to 'bid' for something reasonable with regards to rosters and it may make the difference between staying here or leaving. Those guys low down on the seniority aren't getting anything worse than most of us have endured for a few years now. Welcome to Flydubai folks.

Just one more point to consider;people on this forum have been openly venting their frustrations over rostering here at FZ for a few years. Go back through this thread and all the info is there for anyone to read. If you have been aware of this issue and have still made the decision to join FZ then there really can be no complaints. The rosters at FZ have been bad for ages and PBS hasn't made it any worse, just improved it for a few.

capfo
6th Nov 2013, 14:12
Thanks NG! :ok:

jetstreem
6th Nov 2013, 21:28
Set your PBS woes aside boys and girls! With 10 days left to go to the opening of the Dubai airshow, surely it must be time to place your bets on what the future of FZ will look like on the other side of it.

With Emirates rumoured to be ordering 100 odd of the new 777's, whatever FZ will get up to is unlikely to be small. 737max's? 320 NEO's? That's been the story for well over a year now. Or will they tackle the competition and stretch their sandy legs a bit further with some widebodys?

What do y'all reckon? Place your bets now! (Sadly there won't be any prizes for the most accurate guess. All the prize money has gone on topping up the housing allowance...)

High Energy
7th Nov 2013, 01:38
Ok, I like a good bet.
-50 A320NEO + 20 options
-21 A321NEO + 10 options

No widebody I'm afraid.

Otto Throttle
7th Nov 2013, 06:35
I bet it's an order for Dash 8s. Why else would they recruit so many T/P pilots from Europe's largest regional (loss making) airline? Probably get the flying trash cans for a song too. :E

jetstreem
8th Nov 2013, 14:52
Ok, my predictions then:

I think the range of the new NEOs or MAX will both be pretty similar and should give them the legs to reach into Europe, China, s.e. Asia & more of Africa, so I (sadly) think that there'll be no widebody's too.

I think the 320/321 combo would give them lots of flexibility with routes and loads and would be a great move.

But I also think the cost of bringing in a 2nd fleet and crewing it too would be high and detract from the streamlined simple business, and what with senior management coming from the Good Ol' USofA...

40 737 MAX 8's + 20 options is my guess. Possibly some 9's too.

Toilet
10th Nov 2013, 12:14
All neo in 3 years..

Iver
10th Nov 2013, 18:21
All NEO plus 10 A330s transferred from EK for leisure routes like Male and Mauritius.

hoover1
11th Nov 2013, 00:24
Lets just say that they get a different airframe; what would the transition/recruitment be like for that airframe? Would they allow guys to bid over or just recruit for the new airframe? Just a hypothetical.

gottofly
11th Nov 2013, 03:22
10B787+10options

Calmcavok
11th Nov 2013, 05:41
Either a bunch of 737-800 & -900s Maxs, 50 plus 50 options, tied in with the EK 777 order (it's being paid for from the same purse of course).

Or, a bunch of 320/321s, re-jigging the EK A350 deal with a few more 380s for EK, as I suspect those 350s won't turn up. Either way a strong bargaining position for a good deal on aircraft.

captain.weird
11th Nov 2013, 12:06
I've just read that FD opened their cadet programme for Emirati nationals only.

magicmick
11th Nov 2013, 13:01
As eluded to above, for MEIR holders with MCC who match the age, nationality and flying hours limits, this might be worth a punt:

Cadet Program - Emirati Nationals-Latest Pilot Jobs-Latest Pilot Jobs (http://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/2634.html)

WYOMINGPILOT
11th Nov 2013, 15:13
Can anybody discuss more in detail the average schedules. I have heard you can expect about 9 days off per month. How many other days like standby reserve or other duty do you average per month? How many actual trips do you average per month and how many hours do you average per day? How many days do you fly on average more than 2 sectors per day? Just trying to get a feel for the lifestyle.

long-gonner
11th Nov 2013, 15:37
WY,

You need to come back in a few months and ask that question again. The company just introduced PBS bidding with the November schedules. It "appears" that the days off have gone up from 8 or 9 to about 11 or 12. Standbys have increased from 1 or 2, to 3 or 4. Most rosters are being built around 70-80 hours if you have no vacation. Again, this is just an average. Some people are not happy with the first round of PBS and are raising holy hell over it failing to realize this was just the first month. As for trips per month it could be as few as 9 if doing long flights or as many as 18 if you are flying to Doha everyday! Flights per day vary from 1 to 4. Usually the 4 leg days are local flights around the GCC area, but can have long duty hours reaching 12 hours but only block 4 hours flight pay. Hope that helps.

flapsone737
12th Nov 2013, 11:37
Hi guys,

thanks for all the info once again. I've passed all selection with CTC + FZ interview and waiting for reply from FZ HR department.

How long does it average take between passing your last tests and getting info from HR department about a start date?

Anyone have any news about FZ contacting your references?

Thanks in advance.

pole shift
12th Nov 2013, 12:09
To all wannabes I would suggest to take the time and read the thread from the beginning and stop asking questions on every aspect of the selection process.
All answers are there, just do your homework!
The new aircraft order would also consist of ATR 42 so that the vast majority of the new recruits would be heavily experienced, thus substantially contributing to the overall pilot experience that this airline desperately needs for all those challenging destinations. :E

Man the lifeboat
12th Nov 2013, 14:07
It's quite funny to read the speculation on an aircraft order just a week prior to the announcement. ATR 42 considering the business class, though....come on guys! 737 max when they can't deliver for over 18 months unless FD are sending crews to self build? Old EK 330's......oh dear! 787s at 3.5 times the price of our 737-800s...... The hint is in the CARGO!

hoover1
12th Nov 2013, 16:26
Anyone else doing the CTC interview in the UK on the 20th that wants a ride from Heathrow PM me and see if our schedules match up.

Blue system
12th Nov 2013, 17:28
Yeah, the 73 is really difficult to fly :ugh: But it is quite funny to see experienced Fo's and Capt's twitch in their seats when they always have to program the FMS first no matter the situation. Because the aircraft will of course stop flying otherwise:bored:

gottofly
13th Nov 2013, 06:53
I didn't make the CTC interview about 7 months ago and was advised to try again after 6 months but I am unable to do so as it says previous and now inactive application.can anyone advise what needs to be done?i wrote to the email ID given below but no reply.

Bigger
13th Nov 2013, 09:46
Very strange... Do you know if CTC is still doing the selection for Flydubai? No mention to them in the new flydubai website, no link to flydubai-ctcaviation application as before, and no recognition of my entry email/password when entering in the new website "search vacancies" neither...¿? Any update about that?

flydream1982
13th Nov 2013, 13:56
Same here!
And when you go to the new website and apply for a pilot position the application process doesn't seem to be the same: they ask you for a résumé,and to upload a photo ID,etc...I had none of that in the previous application. I wonder if we have to start a new application?
But I still can access my application through the ctc address in my browser,it still says that I passed the screening,but there's still no available date for an interview...

ManaAdaSystem
13th Nov 2013, 14:42
Every "Apply to be a FlyDubai pilot" button on the FD website sends me to CTC, so not sure why you can't find it.
Back to navclass guys! :)

hoover1
13th Nov 2013, 17:39
Well I hope so since I leave Monday to interview for Flydubai at the CTC site in Southampton.

High Energy
14th Nov 2013, 02:36
Holy crappers, some serious reductions during the runway closure next year. 16 destinations temporarily cancelled and a 47% seat capacity reduction. I really thought all would be shifted over to DWC but not at this stage...

Link (http://airlineroute.net/2013/11/13/fz-may14update1/)

Old King Coal
14th Nov 2013, 05:24
High Energy: Holy crappers indeed... and, if it is correct, one would imagine that such a significant reduction in the flying program could particularly impact those (flight & cabin crew) for whom flight-duty-pay forms a significant percentage of their overall take-home pay?! :uhoh:

skysod
14th Nov 2013, 10:12
Very true OKC, plus presumably we can kiss goodbye to any bonus/profit share!!:{

Man the lifeboat
14th Nov 2013, 10:42
Profit share will be April (subject to distortion!) so it will be before runway closure....

The media is reporting 75 max as the order, so much for range improvement and cargo increase?

WYOMINGPILOT
14th Nov 2013, 12:24
Fly Dubai set to order 75 B-737 MAX

$100-B Boeing order bonanza to dominate Dubai show | Economy | GMA News Online (http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/335419/economy/companies/100-b-boeing-order-bonanza-to-dominate-dubai-show)

High Energy
14th Nov 2013, 15:20
And why cancel many destinations with only one flight a day or less? You would think they'd keep some traffic flowing as some are still quite 'fragile' destinations.
Look at Yekaterinaburg, Air Arabia serves SVX too and will now get all those pax as there is no other choise to get to UAE/DXB/SHJ. Furthermore Transaero will be starting a big 'Russia to DXB' expansion including from some of our destinations.

On the other hand looking at the pattern of destinations it looks like they still have an option of moving flights to DWC as they are 'onwards' connecting pax like Kazan to Male/Colombo.

And there goes the Airbus dream...:{

Old King Coal
14th Nov 2013, 15:23
Tangmo: Wrt "Why not ops out of DWC?"

It's not that the airports are especially distant from one another, but the logistics are immense!

You'd have passengers whom are ticketed for flights out of 'Dubai' (and when they think 'Dubai', they're thinking 'DXB' and not 'DWC'... in fact bugger-all people are even aware that DWC exists, never mind where it is?!!), and you can be sure that they'd accordingly turn up at DXB and they'd then need transporting down to DWC... and then there are those passengers whom are connecting between FZ & EK (& other airlines) and vice versa (how would we deal with them?). And that there are bugger-all connecting flights out of DWC. And that there is still, as yet, a very limited transport infrastructure to / from DWC, and that simply getting to DWC is expensive in itself (e.g. in terms of a taxi fare from down-town Dubai or from DXB), and that the metro doesn't reach there (yet).

And if FZ were to start transporting pax to / from DWC, there's increase in road transport, e.g. 1x full B737-800 would probably require 3x coaches just for the passengers and also a good sized delivery van (and / or lorry) for all their baggage... just do the math on how many vehicles that would require and the direct cost of procuring & running that transport (and the indirect costs associated with road congestion and / or traffic jams, and all the effects thereof) ?!

And what of managing crews, and / or the engineering support, etc, etc, and / or the inevitable chaos that would occur (to all of the above) during the transition period between the transferring of flights / ops from DXB to DWC, and then back again some weeks later, and the list goes on and on, and all of that for a supposed period of maybe +11 weeks ?!

That all said, it's just occurred to me (hence the edit) that, wrt the dates announced for the runway's maintenance (1st May - 20th July (http://www.acl-international.com/newsArticle.aspx?id=149)):

The workers mid-day-break period starts on 15th June (lasting thru until 15th September), and during which employers must not make staff to work outside between 12.30pm and 3pm.
The last 3 weeks & 2 days of the planned maintenance work will be during Ramadan;
... uhm, wanna take bets when it's actually gonna be finished ?!

High Energy
15th Nov 2013, 20:09
To add to OKC's post, no foreseeable move to DWC.
Link (http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/dubai-air-show/2013-11-15/al-ghaith-says-flydubai-can-keep-growing).

mrcbell
16th Nov 2013, 11:13
Does anybody know anything more about the new Website, that does not show the old application process by CTC, and our application data via application number?
I've passed in all CTC process (interview, Simulator, etc), and recieved an email with the approval confirmation. I should to wait to the Flydubai contact "in the near future", but one month has passed, and nothing until now.
As I'm NTR, I know that I should expect to start only in the next semester, but the lack of information, and this new website without CTC and our data, make me a little worried.
The TR guys that did the interview in the same day are already at Dubai for start their training. They went to there in the last week.

Bigger
16th Nov 2013, 11:57
The new flydubai website doesn't show evidence of been linked to CTC as some weeks ago. Should I register as new on the new one? Answering the advice of another guy in this forum that stated..."all the pilot application in the new FD website takes me to CTC link...":i am afraid this is not correct, I still cant find relation between the new FD web and CTC...

Coupled_To_Me
16th Nov 2013, 16:27
http://flydubai.ctcaviation.com

Bigger
16th Nov 2013, 21:23
That is the point...flydubai.ctcaviation.com is the old website linked to CTC. I am talking about this: www.flydubai.com;)

High Energy
17th Nov 2013, 07:39
It's official!

Up to 100 B737 MAX8's & 11 B738's totalling 111 Boeing 737's worth 11.4 billion USD.
Link (https://mobile.twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/status/401984431008661504?screen_name=BoeingAirplanes)

8028410q
17th Nov 2013, 08:25
Not sure that Boeing REALLY wanted to say that....! Nice if it was true though ;)

8028410q
17th Nov 2013, 08:28
Before Boeing changes it..

All #Boeing 737 customer @flydubai announces commitment for up to 100 777 MAX 8s, 11 737-800s

;)

pole shift
17th Nov 2013, 09:35
Yes its official, 100 B737Max and 11 B737-800.
So there goes the dream of some people for Dreamliners or Neos or whatever else...
Given the 737Max's range, I doubt it would be able to go any further than the current 737-800. So It will be interesting to see where the airplanes will be flying to..:confused:

High Energy
17th Nov 2013, 15:10
One can dream...:ugh:

Old King Coal
17th Nov 2013, 17:23
A very disappointing announcement... basically they've opted for what might generously be described as yet another iteration on the re-vamping of the venerable B707 (yet without its range) and, speaking of which, the max ranges (when fully loaded) are detailed as: B737-800 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_Next_Generation#Specifications): 3,115 Nm / B737 MAX 8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_MAX#Specifications): 3,620 Nm, this giving an extra 505 Nm and / or 1 hour in a MAX.

I suspect that, with massive rises for goods & services in Dubai and (as yet) no corresponding increases in salary & allowances, a lot a folk will now earnestly be looking to take their skills elsewhere; because if one's going to be stuck flying the piece of crap that is the B737-800 then one might as well go and do it somewhere nice !

flyer19832007
17th Nov 2013, 18:09
Are assessments still ongoing at the moment?

I thought I had read that all courses were full for the moment?

long-gonner
17th Nov 2013, 19:52
OKC,

How can a 111 new aircraft order be called disappointing?

Maybe you had delusions of bigger aircraft coming to flydubai to save you the hassle of changing employers and giving up your top 10% seniority???

Accept that you were hired by this company to fly a 737 and nothing else, and then you can come to work and go home a little easier.

Whole heartedly agree with your assessment though that many will be applying their skills elsewhere......including myself as seniority here doesn't amount to much as of yet.....but the company has nothing to fear as non-type rated candidates are filling classes as far out as next summer! Anyone expecting a pay increase or allowance adjustment should stop dreaming now :ugh:

Iver
17th Nov 2013, 20:06
No Sidestick for you!!!!! :{:p

While the MAX will not have the flight deck width/comfort of the comparable Airbus NEO, it will have some avionics enhancements vs. the traditional 737NG. It will resemble the 787 cockpit, but certainly not the spaciousness:

http://worldairlinenews.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/boeing-737-max-cockpit-boeinglr.jpg

I still believe larger aircraft would make sense at some point. Flying to Male and Colombo and perhaps some other leisure destinations could probably fill larger capacity aircraft.

Vortac1
17th Nov 2013, 20:18
How big is FD's pilot group currently?

Old King Coal
17th Nov 2013, 21:44
long-gonner: the reason it's disappointing is that the B737 is stuck in a time warp. E.g. the picture that Iver has linked to doesn't show the overhead panel, and neither does it show the EICAS / ECAM system, nor the integrated digital data bus, and you have to wonder why not? Ah yes, now I remember, maybe it’s because Boeing can't fundamentally change the basic B707 design (which all 737's derive from) and therein include those elements, because then they'd blow the commonality with previous versions of the type? Aside, and without naming names, at least one of our fltops bosses was hoping for an order of 787's, so go figure?!

And, wrt 'bigger aircraft’? Na, been there, done that (and, trust me when I say, that flight times with double digit hours are tedium personified, as is living out of hotel rooms, and being jet lagged all to hell, imho). But I'll admit a side-stick would have made a pleasant change, if only to grab the rating and then foxtrot oscar with it, but hey ho and ah well, two buckets! ;)

flyer19832007
17th Nov 2013, 23:26
Which brings me to my next question, what is the attrition rate like at FZ at the minute? If it's high where is everyone going?

Vortac, based on an article about FZ a while back, they apparently crew aircraft with 7 Captains and 7 First Officers, 14 times the current 33 aircraft on the books, I'd suggest 462 pilots, give or take a few.

I'm sure a current FZ pilot may correct me if I'm wrong!

pole shift
18th Nov 2013, 01:02
OKC,
I totally agree with you wrt the MAX. If the NG is an old woman with a lot of make up, then the Max would be an older woman with tons of make up:).
The new aircraft given the backlog on the Max, will be here around 2020. Would you or I be here until then? Probably not! The :mad: bucket will be full by then!:ok:

Vortac1
18th Nov 2013, 01:51
Thanks flyer.

Kefuddle
18th Nov 2013, 03:31
Tis a shame indeed that FZ didn't go down the Airbus route. Not that I prefer A specifically, but a flight deck more appropriate to 10 hour block days would have been nice :{

However, as for the NG vs A320, the MAX vs NEO will probably just go to show how little Airbus tech actually makes a difference to revenue. I know if I were a CEO, what the pilots would prefer wouldn't even be on my radar :bored: Neither would I want to pitch my recruitment resources up against Air Arabia!

I guess very the bottom of the bottom line was EK getting a sweet deal on the T7X as long as FZ kept Airbus at bay :hmm:

Still, first delivery will be what seven years hence? That is assuming FZ are at the back of three year queue starting back end of 2017, first MAX delivery 2020? If FZ went for the NEO, first delivery 2022?

Hill of beans :}

High Energy
18th Nov 2013, 13:09
Interesting info here (http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/either-flydubai-or-emirates-will-move-to-dwc-by-2020-shaikh-ahmad-says-1.1256201). More India flights being worked for Flydubai and a EK or FZ move to DWC by 2020 being discussed here too by Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman and Chief Executive, Emirates Airline and Group.

IMHO Flydubai will move to DWC first to make sure it is all up-and running smoothly and they can iron out all sorts of issues before the big guns arrive.

With both Flydubai and EK having a sizeable fleet they will benefit from eachother even more than today so any move will need to be well planned.

High Energy
18th Nov 2013, 20:16
222 CFM engines also ordered. The article also mentiones the 737 MAX 9. So it's either one type of engine for the MAX 8 & 9 or they might be referring to our expected order breakdown.

Link (http://www.snecma.com/flydubai-signs-agreement-with-cfm.html?lang=en)

High Energy
19th Nov 2013, 19:55
Like I said before, it's gonne be Flydubai who moves first to DWC with EK unlikely to move untill 2025.

Link (http://arabiantravelnews.com/airlines/2013/nov/19/347156/#.UovPucu9KSM)

justclimb
20th Nov 2013, 03:19
Hi guys,
wanted some info on the CTC selection for FZ based on my situation.I went to Dubai for initial assessment early Nov. The interview invite asked us to cater for 2 days, for the assessment. Based on that I catered for 2 full days and was to travel back to my country on the third day. I passed day 1 screening, but the sim slot was shifted to day 3 and later. I was unable to stay at Dubai, since my visa, leave from my current employer etc. would have been an issue. I informed the CTC rep. about my difficulties in staying on, any longer for the
sim, to which I was told I could be planned at a later date. I returned to my country and after 4 days sent them a mail about a chance of a sim slot in the near future to which I haven't received any reply, a week and counting. Any advice or suggestions:confused:

Vortac1
20th Nov 2013, 03:54
I would say keep trying to get in contact with CTC directly. Do you have the name of whom you spoke with about your inability to stay for the sim ride? Give them a call. Also, did he/she tell you to get back to them or did they tell you "you'll hear from us" kinda deal?

justclimb
20th Nov 2013, 05:32
Thanks Vortac 1 for your reply. I'll do as you have suggested.

flyingcamel
20th Nov 2013, 07:57
Any NTR people had an assessment recently? If so who's arm did you twist?

Ta :ok:

bultaco
20th Nov 2013, 09:17
sorry for the side track but does anyone know if Gerry Conway is working for flydubai ?

yuck
20th Nov 2013, 09:31
MGQ already on the flydubai website destination list :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

flydubai (http://www.flydubai.com/en/destinations/)

NinER fIveR
20th Nov 2013, 11:56
looks like daily flight to MGQ starting March 30th 2014

3:00 am report time to boot

fun stuff!!!

Iver
20th Nov 2013, 13:35
Certainly will keep things interesting for otherwise "jaded" pilots... :p:}

dubaigong
21st Nov 2013, 02:57
To Bultaco

There is nobody with such a name here for the time being.
I have checked the last published crew list and this name is not there.

Old King Coal
21st Nov 2013, 03:28
bultaco: now that would be an interesting rumour!! (i.e. bringing onboard a dyed-in-the-wool ryanair aficionado of the last +18 years!)

Man the lifeboat
21st Nov 2013, 11:32
US Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
PrintEmail
Somalia

June 21, 2013

The U.S. Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to Somalia. This replaces the Travel Warning dated December 26, 2012, to update information on security concerns.

There is no U.S. Embassy or other formal U.S. diplomatic presence in Somalia. Consequently, the U.S. government is not in a position to assist or effectively provide services to U.S. citizens in Somalia. In light of this and continuous security threats, the U.S. government recommends that you avoid all travel to Somalia.

The security situation inside Somalia remains unstable and dangerous. Terrorist operatives and armed groups in Somalia have demonstrated their intent to attack the Somali authorities, African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), and other non-military targets. Kidnapping, bombings, murder, illegal roadblocks, banditry, and other violent incidents and threats to U.S. citizens and other foreigners can occur in any region. In addition, there is a particular threat to foreigners in places where large crowds gather and westerners frequent, including airports, government buildings, and shopping areas. Inter-clan and inter-factional fighting flares up with little or no warning. This has resulted in the deaths of countless Somali nationals and the displacement of more than one million people.

In February 2012, Al-Shabaab announced that it had merged with Al-Qaida. Al-Shabaab-planned assassinations, suicide bombings, and indiscriminate armed attacks in civilian populated areas are frequent in Somalia. While Mogadishu and parts of south/central Somalia are now under Somali government control with the military support of African Union forces, al-Shabaab continues to demonstrate the capability to carry out attacks in government-controlled territory with particular emphasis on targeting government facilities. On June 19, 2013, Islamist militants carried out a deadly assault on the main U.N. compound in Mogadishu killing at least 17 people. African Union (AU) soldiers restored order after a 90 minute gun battle. On April 14, a combined suicide bombing/armed assault by al-Shabaab gunmen killed 29 and wounded 58. On May 5, an attack on a government convoy carrying foreign diplomats killed eight bystanders. In addition to larger attacks, assassinations, grenade throwing, and kidnappings remain a daily threat in Mogadishu and elsewhere.

Pirates and other criminals have specifically targeted and kidnapped foreigners working in Somalia. In October 2011, a U.S. citizen aid worker living in Somalia was kidnapped, and in January 2012, another U.S. citizen was kidnapped while on work-related travel in Somalia. In both cases, as well as in recent kidnappings of other westerners, the victims took precautionary measures by hiring local security personnel, but those hired to protect them appear to have played a key role in the abductions. A strong familiarity with Somalia and/or extensive prior travel to the region does not reduce travel risk. U.S. citizens contemplating travel to Somalia, including Somaliland and Puntland, are advised to obtain kidnap and recovery insurance, as well as medical evacuation insurance, prior to travel.

Additionally, U.S. citizens are urged to avoid sailing close to the coast of Somalia as attacks have occurred as far as 1,000 nautical miles off the coast in international waters.Merchant vessels, fishing boats, and recreational craft all risk seizure by pirates and having their crews held for ransom in the waters off the Horn of Africa, especially in the international waters near Somalia. Somali pirates captured and killed four U.S. citizens aboard their boat on February 22, 2011. If transit around the Horn of Africa is necessary, it is strongly recommended that vessels travel in convoys, maintain good communications contact at all times, and follow the guidance provided by the Maritime Security Center – Horn of Africa (MSC-HOA). You should consult the Maritime Administration’s Horn of Africa Piracy page for information on maritime advisories, self-protection measures, and naval forces in the region.

U.S. citizens who choose to travel to Somalia despite this Travel Warning are strongly urged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) in order to receive the most up-to-date security information and be included in our emergency communication system. Travelers to Somalia should enroll with the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya. U.S. citizens traveling by sea to the area of high threat are urged to inform MSC-HOA by emailing [email protected], with the subject line 'Yacht Vessel Movement.' The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi is located on United Nations Avenue, Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya; telephone (254)(20) 363-6000; after-hours emergencies (254)(20) 363-6170. The mailing address is P.O. Box 606 Village Market 00621, Nairobi, Kenya.

U.S. citizens should also consult the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Somalia, the Worldwide Caution, and the International Maritime Piracy Fact Sheet, which are located on the Department of State's website. Travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. Stay up to date by bookmarking our Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well. You can also download our free Smart Traveler App, available through iTunes and the Google play store, to have travel information at your fingertips.

ManaAdaSystem
21st Nov 2013, 12:25
What is currently the kidnap and recovery insurance cover for FZ crew?

Good luck guys! I've flown over Mogadishu a number of times, and that is as close to that s.hithole as I ever want to come.

About 90 % of FZ destinatinations fall into my "Avoid" category.

Amdram
21st Nov 2013, 13:33
If and when we do begin MGQ then I would imagine watching the current Tom Hanks film 'Captain Phillips' will be part of the pre flight briefing. I admit that it is based on the sea instead of the air but that is where we could be going folks! They do say though that worse things happen at sea.....

May be best NOT to have that as one of the films on the IFE heading that way?!?

Old King Coal
21st Nov 2013, 18:24
Wrt MGQ, fear not dear friends; one will be reliably assured that FZ are "Monitoring the situation" and of course there's always the "duck & dive" procedure if things suddenly get a bit too hot ! :E

High Energy
21st Nov 2013, 19:37
So now we know what the 'up to' in the CEO's e-mail refers to.
It's 75 confirmed MAX 8's and 25 options.
Link (http://boeing.mediaroom.com/Boeing-Launches-777X-with-Record-Breaking-Orders-Strengthens-Partnerships-in-the-Middle-East-at-the-2013-Dubai-Airshow)

jerman
23rd Nov 2013, 09:52
Hi guys
I applied to fly Dubai over a year ago, 3 months later the status changed to unsuccessful, I applied non rated FO,
I re-applied a year later and since than my status=Awaiting Decicion, been like that for over 4 months, can some one shed some light on hiring status of FD,
I'm 28 Yrs old
ICAO ATPL
5000+ hrs Total
4500+hrs A320
I beleave according to the requirement on FD website I meet the requirement for
Non Rated FO
Any suggestions Really appreciated,
Thanks

High Energy
23rd Nov 2013, 12:19
More light reading material.
Link (http://en.ca-news.org/news:531356)

jetstreem
23rd Nov 2013, 14:05
Well now that get dust has settled/been washed away, it's interesting to see how things are panning out. I guessed 40/20 firms & options, which was along the right lines but almost 100% out on the firms. Hats off to calmcavok who was a lot closer on the numbers. Never let it be said that the UAE do anything by halves!

I suppose the tail end of the order may well start being replacement aircraft as the fleet gets older. It'll be interesting to see when they're actually likely to appear. The 11 more NG's might be bridging the delivery gap.

It's not the greatest order in the world (despite the size), but I guess it makes business sense (a la Ryanair). I can see how it will give FZ space to hit more routes & increase frequency, but I can't exactly see it opening up many more key markets. I think it's unlikely that the MAX'll have the legs for China/SE Asia, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Who knows maybe they'll end up copying Air Arabia, and just opening other bases. Not this week though. I think we've all had enough news for now!

High Energy
23rd Nov 2013, 17:03
The 737 MAX 8 has a range advantage of 325nm compared to the A320 NEO. (Boeing's figures) Don't have the range comparison between NG and A320 but with Air Arabia starting China in Q1 2014 and us starting ETOPS things could get interesting.

Still rumors about a Colombo base...:ok:

mave292
25th Nov 2013, 05:44
Christmas next month and roster still not out, nice to see things have not changed :ugh::mad:

High Energy
25th Nov 2013, 09:35
Wasn't there an e-mail stating publication between 25-27, so expect 23:59lt on the 27th.

pole shift
25th Nov 2013, 11:44
Rumor is that the roster will be puplished on a two week basis from 1/1/14 due to lack of crews and the extra flights commercial will bring in on short notice :ugh::}:{

Man the lifeboat
25th Nov 2013, 12:01
If AIMS was really left to run PBS the results would have been instant, but it's funny to see just how much extra time they need to manipulate it after! Anything on your roster without the R has been changed by scheduling!

Iver
25th Nov 2013, 14:05
Jerman,

With those qualifications on the Airbus, why not instead focus your attention on EK, Qatar and the other big UAE operator? As far as I can tell, they are interviewing people meeting minimum Airbus qualifications...:ok:

Good luck!

jerman
25th Nov 2013, 15:18
i still havent got a interview date with EK but im shortlisted for 6 months now, i would want to live in dubai, any suggestions to get an interview with FD , i still havent got anything from FD

thanks

High Energy
25th Nov 2013, 17:58
Part of the 'roster problem'?
Link (http://news.tj/en/news/flydubai-plans-increase-quantity-flights-dubai-dushanbe)

Vortac1
25th Nov 2013, 21:40
Do FD pilots have to carry their own manuals and charts or are these provided with in the aircraft (Aircraft sets)?

Just trying to figure out if there's a need for a flight case.
Thx.

High Energy
26th Nov 2013, 06:35
Everything is onboard. You can carry your own iPad with the Lido app's and Docunet app that gives you all you need. However not for official use yet. We're waiting for Class II EFB (iPad's) installation. I believe several company iPad's are already out in the crewroom to have a look at.

Amdram
26th Nov 2013, 06:37
Each aircraft has a set of paper charts both airfield and enroute although plans are afoot to have these replaced by the iPad. The manuals are currently on the Boeing laptop but these also maybe incorporated into the iPad too.
All pilots carry a flight bag of some description carrying licenses, headsets, personal tablets, pics of the wife and kids etc

Amdram
26th Nov 2013, 06:39
Oops, HE just beat me to it!! Yes the iPads are in the crew room if you want to try the lido apps.

Flat Cap
26th Nov 2013, 10:01
Well I am thrilled to be the first to reveal the much rumoured new flightdeck uniform, apparently designed with the comedy rostering as its inspiration.

http://www.partysuperstores.co.uk/img/28936new.jpg

F-C

B767PL
26th Nov 2013, 17:09
Maybe a stupid question, BUT, is the proper way to apply to flyDubai via the flyDubai website? And filling out that somewhat strange and funny looking "application", that results in a "profile"? Just making sure..

Vortac1
26th Nov 2013, 18:53
High Energy and Amdram, thanks for the info on the charts/manuals and bags.

Does the 737 have plenty room on the outer side of your seat to accommodate your bag? Not too familiar with the cockpit on the 73.

High Energy
26th Nov 2013, 19:13
No problem. The 737 is cramped, to put it mildly. In my case if I slide the seat all the way backwards, and thus it moves sideways too, it squashes my bag and prevents the seat from sliding backwards fully. Thus getting out of the seat is a pain. There is no space behind the seat.

pole shift
26th Nov 2013, 19:15
FlatCap,
Spot on!
Vortac,
Out of curiosity have you been offered a job? If the answer is not yet then as a suggestion try to get through the screening and the type rating, and when that is done, start worrying about the trivial issues. Good luck!:ok:

High Energy
26th Nov 2013, 19:39
More flights on short notice? Looks like it.link (http://www.orissadiary.com/CurrentNews.asp?id=45843).

Vortac1
26th Nov 2013, 20:23
Thanks High Energy.

Pole Shift, yes I have been offered a class date and will be joining in a few months. I asked because if I won't be needing my flight case, I will not haul it with me across the planet. Consolidating stuff around here and putting stuff in Storage Unit as I type, before we head down to my inlaws for a few months before we move to DBX.

I do appreciate the suggestion tho ;)

mave292
27th Nov 2013, 03:48
Vortac1, just make sure u end up in DXB and not DBX for your start date ;)

High Energy
27th Nov 2013, 06:50
It's all in the details mave292, lol.

Looks like daily flights to Juba are on the cards.
Link (http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article48943)

Man the lifeboat
27th Nov 2013, 06:58
No roster as AIMS can't function apparently with the added manipulation by HP creating a conflict between PBS and the normal crappy roster. What happened with the promise of it being a pure PBS result?

MrCarlosDanger
27th Nov 2013, 10:00
Vtac make sure you wear your RonJon t-shirts, you will fit right in.

Vortac1
27th Nov 2013, 12:35
Mave, duly noted, I can't even blame that one on autocorrect...

Ron Jon? Not a fan, sorry.

mave292
27th Nov 2013, 15:52
Really, these people are now taking the complete p**s, Nov 27th and still no roster, incompetence not even close to it :mad::mad:

High Energy
28th Nov 2013, 07:42
Well PBS seemed to work allright. Got 50% of my requests even with my 'low' seniority. Low hours and everything else is nights, nights and more nights.

pole shift
2nd Dec 2013, 18:43
Currently Saudi and NAS are offering something like $18000 take home per month with transport and accommodation from the company, with a roster of 3 weeks on 1 week off, and of course without PBS bulls**t to stick a SB between your days off.
Chinese companies are offering $220k per year on the 737 with upgrading to 777 or 787.
The attrition in this company is very high so it's easy to guess what happens next.
If this company want to expand as they say and keep at bay it's pilots, then they would have to be brave enough to give pay rise or allowance increases. Otherwise the day is not far away when they would have to cancel flights due to lack of pilots :ugh:

flydream1982
2nd Dec 2013, 21:10
For all those in the initial part of the application process.

I applied to FD on November 1st. I received an email confirming I passed phase 1 and to proceed to phase 2 to set up a date for the U.K. For the entire month I tried and received the following message:`No spaces are currently available, please try again later`.

I have also set-up an account through the FD website, but it will not allow me to go any further then my name and password set-up. I do not know what that is all about.

I am now going to contact CTC to find out what is going on...should I get any information I will post it here. IF anyone else has any additional information please provide in for the benefit of fellow pilots.

I have said it before; this CTC process in the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

Same here. Passed the screening about a month and a half ago, but I've been unable to book an interview,however they did say in their email that all the NTR courses were full until spring.
What puzzles me is their new website though. I wanted to contact CTC about it too, so keep me posted if you get any info. Thanks!

Twin2040
11th Dec 2013, 11:10
Me2. Got reply more than months ago that I passed phase 1 for DEC. NoN T/R, anyone got a clue if they will run any courses in near future ? Thanks

High Energy
11th Dec 2013, 18:17
Anyone told management yet? 2.5% payrise across the UAE for 2014. (inflation already subtracted)

Link (http://planethowto.********.ae/2013/12/good-news-for-uae-workers-pay-to-rise_11.html)

This will start a healthy discussion at the next pilots meeting. :ugh:

Crashlanding
11th Dec 2013, 18:46
Afraid they have no free training slots at the time until 2015 for Non TR, they are full training non TR, TR and there own OPC/LPCs

We just have a long wait im afraid.

flydream1982
11th Dec 2013, 19:14
2015???
Where did you get that from?

Crashlanding
12th Dec 2013, 06:04
I have a few friends there.

I too am waiting.

High Energy
12th Dec 2013, 09:22
I do apologise. Normally I check them. I tried to link the original article but that didn't work but there are tones of other out there now. Here's another interesting article with some more info. Apparently 2013 saw an 8% housing allowance increase in the UAE too!

Link (http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/uae-salary-why-you-should-expect-5-rise-or-easily-find-new-job-2013-10-23-1.525342)

Here's some other interesting info form the original article;
Country Avg Pay Hike l Proj. Inflation l Real Pay Hike for employees
UAE 5% 2.5% 2.5%
Kuwait 6% 3.2% 2.8%
Oman 5.3% 2.8% 2.5%
Saudi 5.5% 3.3% 2.2%
Bahrain 5% 3.1% 1.9%
Qatar 5.3% 4.2% 1.1%

Old King Coal
12th Dec 2013, 10:23
FZ's package has fallen wayyyyy behind what it should be... for some there has been no increases in either Basic Salary, or Housing Allowance, or Transport allowances, for neigh on for 4 years !

Twin2040
12th Dec 2013, 21:08
Just checked on FD homepage. No just looking for F/O .... CTC still Capt. Hmmmm

Twin2040
13th Dec 2013, 07:36
Got answer from a senior Commander this morning - its right !!! They lack simulator capacitet - so it seems right, no NoN T/R entries for a good while ...

High Energy
13th Dec 2013, 13:34
I've heard all courses are full untill OCT 2014. Not officially confirmed.

flydream1982
13th Dec 2013, 14:35
Thanks for the heads up guys!

Rodolfo
13th Dec 2013, 17:35
The question is: Are the NTR needed?
If YES, why not use simulator/course in other countries?
If NO, why they are still selecting NTR pilots?

High Energy
18th Dec 2013, 16:40
We've recieved 3 or 4 new aircraft since the last 'new' route announcement and that route started quite some time ago. It's been quiet ever since. 'FEK' is already on the BFI flightline and should be delivered within weeks.

Yet no new routes or increased frequencies announced.

They must be hedging a plan to start ops at DWC during the rwy closure.

Vortac1
18th Dec 2013, 16:46
Quick one, what does FEK and BFI mean?

High Energy
18th Dec 2013, 17:46
I do apologize. 'FEK' stand for the latest reg to join the fleet, A6-FEK. And 'BFI' is the IATA code for Seattle-Boeing Field. Final preparations for delivery of Boeing 737 aircraft after the first test flight are made at Boeing Field. (BFI)

Vortac1
18th Dec 2013, 21:58
Thx!! :ok:

High Energy
19th Dec 2013, 11:47
They must be hedging a plan to start ops at DWC during the rwy closure.

I was only 1 day off...12 destinations operated from both DXB and DWC and 14 from DWC only. Just like everyone suspected would happen. :ok:

Vortac1
19th Dec 2013, 13:08
Is there any kind of public transportation to DWC?

Iver
19th Dec 2013, 13:53
Camels leave every 15 minutes...

Vortac1
19th Dec 2013, 15:19
Fair enough...

Fdubai
23rd Dec 2013, 08:18
So a guy fails his upgrade final line check for adjusting the HUD brightness....what kind of circus show is this?

seven3heaven
23rd Dec 2013, 09:16
FDUBAI, you gotta be kidding??
I heard a rumour that 4 failed this month, not sure how accurate that is. Anyone in the know care to shed some light on this.
Has the poisoned dwarf returned from Emirates?

skysod
23rd Dec 2013, 10:20
I cannot believe that anyone would be failed for this......there must be more to it!

Vortac1
23rd Dec 2013, 12:30
I agree. That must be the decaf version from the pilot's stand point. There's gotta be more to that story...

Fdubai
23rd Dec 2013, 16:15
I know as professional pilots we would like to believe that it couldn't happen, but trust me when I say there has been some pretty screwed up things regarding the upgrade candidates at FZ. I've never seen anything like it, but then again, I'm relatively new to the gulf!

High Energy
23rd Dec 2013, 17:08
Runway closure period flight schedule in full detail here (http://airlineroute.net/2013/12/23/fz-may14update2/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fz-may14update2).

"...weekly flights reduced from 587 weekly one-way flights to around 470, number of destinations reduced from 67 to 65..."

Dhaka and Kiev Borispol remain cancelled. (aka 2 less nightstops)

Contractpilot1
4th Jan 2014, 12:08
I'm afraid this is true. Its not exaggerated. Poor guy went all the way through the command upgrade, with a good training record and got sacked on the final line check. Looks like the training department was looking to make an example. Completely obscene.

mave292
6th Jan 2014, 10:28
I heard it was adjusting the HUD just after rotation and below 400ft .... If so you brief no actions below 400ft accept cancel the lights or bells and select the gear up on positive rate of climb. If you choose to do it don't do it on a final line check

High Energy
6th Jan 2014, 11:21
What about the crew that both got fired due to an alleged 'incident' in Karachi recently? Any truth in that?

long-gonner
6th Jan 2014, 12:08
Heard only the Capt got fired....

dubaigong
6th Jan 2014, 12:34
Don't forget that this is a rumour network and you should take it for what it is...
A pilot failing only because he was adjusting the brightness of the HUD on final is just a false statement...
On the other hand I can say that today , even if you have had no problem during the training phase and even been released on line doesn't mean ( unfortunately ) that you will be able to cope with all the situation in the future.
The training today is too short , quick and not selective at all , not enough exposure to challenging situation are included and most if not all of the line training flights are to "local" easy destinations while we could send these guys to the east to face cold weather , strong winds in stormy weather and high terrain elevation.

About the Karachi incident , again , before judging make sure that you have the facts before making a statement about the company reaction.
Were you in the flight deck ? Did you see the FDM ? Do you know which mistakes have been done ( if any ) and how the crew have reacted ?
There are so many things that will not be told by the people involved especially if guilty...
I have been witness of simulator sessions where people have failed and I know exactly what has happened and I also know what the pilots involved were saying to the others.
It is sometimes very difficult in our world to just recognize that we have made mistakes coupled most of the time by a bad final decision which is usually the main reason of the failure.
An unstabilized approach followed by a well executed go-around at the right time is usually enough to stay out of trouble,
While continuing to a landing that we think is fine , may be the major reason of the failure.
Bad judgement and wrong decision making will , one day ,be a killer...

what-to-do
6th Jan 2014, 13:26
"An unstabilized approach followed by a well executed go-around at the right time is usually enough to stay out of trouble, while continuing to a landing that we think is fine , may be the major reason of the failure".

To my knowledge, there is absolutely no issue with conducting a go-around from an unstable approach, in fact, it is mandatory. As for it 'usually' being enough to stay out of trouble is rather misleading. Furthermore, continuing to land from any approach that does not meet the stable approach criteria is against company policy, irrespective of what the operating pilot(s) may think.

As I understand it, the incident in KHI did indeed result in the termination of the Captain.

Vortac1
6th Jan 2014, 16:29
Alright guys, I'll bite. What happened in Karachi?

Contractpilot1
7th Jan 2014, 07:00
Quote:"Don't forget that this is a rumour network and you should take it for what it is...
A pilot failing only because he was adjusting the brightness of the HUD on final is just a false statement...
On the other hand I can say that today , even if you have had no problem during the training phase and even been released on line doesn't mean ( unfortunately ) that you will be able to cope with all the situation in the future.
The training today is too short , quick and not selective at all , not enough exposure to challenging situation are included and most if not all of the line training flights are to "local" easy destinations while we could send these guys to the east to face cold weather , strong winds in stormy weather and high terrain elevation."

Ok...so just to clarify...the issue is that a pilot failing a Final Line Check (barring some grossly negligent and unsafe action) after having successfully completed the previously described "rigorous" Command Upgrade should not be simply denied another Check and be sent all the way back to the beginning of the program at that stage of the game. That is just insanity. Not to mention an enormous waste of money by the company who invested so much in getting them to that point to begin with. It is a poor decision which affects all crew at FD.

Regarding the unstable approach: The Captain was fired and the new FO was told he can never upgrade. It is a fact that the approach was extremely unstable. The airplane was in an unsafe and uncorrected configuration down to a very low level. FD has no mercy on this. They are unforgiving when it comes attempting to land from an unstable approach. They list a number of criteria in which a go around MUST be executed if exceeded.

Regarding the validity of the information: It's still a relatively small company. It is not difficult to get the straight story directly from or close to the source if you've been here for a while.

dubaigong
7th Jan 2014, 09:43
Contractpilot1,

Flydubai is still a small company , that's true but it does not mean that the actual facts are available unless you have spoken directly to one of the pilots involved and assuming that he ( or she ) is telling you the truth...
The other people who are spreading some information about any incident: first , should not do it as they are not entitled to ; second , how can you be sure that the information they spread is correct ?
We have to be really careful about making judgement and at the end if you talk about these 2 subjects with different pilots , you will see that there are different point of view about the outcome.
I know some pilot thinking that the company reaction was to hard while others think that it was the right thing to do.
It is not my business to say who is right or wrong in particular because I ( like most people ) don't have access to all the FACTS but I think that too many people think that they have the right to judge while they don't have all the information.

had-enough
7th Jan 2014, 13:00
Dubaigong,

Quite honestly, I'm struggling to get your point! I don't know of anyone who has been judgmental regarding the issue of an unstable approach. You seem a little defensive over the fact that people are asking questions, don't be, it's perfectly natural for pilots to be inquisitive, which is different from being judgmental.

As has been said in previous posts, FZ makes it quite clear that it will not tolerate unstable approaches that are continued to landing. That is, and has been, black and white for some time.

For facts, go to the safety department and ask to see the data.

Old King Coal
7th Jan 2014, 14:03
had-enough: I wouldn't hold your breath about waiting to "see the data", wherein I'm still waiting to read the ASR about the runway incursion (following which the Captain was 'resigned') and the absolute howler when a certain ex-management pilot managed to drop the landing gear when at high speed out of DXB (though he kept his job, go figure?!).

Contractpilot1
7th Jan 2014, 14:08
I think that we all agree that the company's actions regarding the unstable approach are justified. Hard-enough said it well by pointing out the rigid policy on this at FD. Rightly so, I say. And yes, the video reproduction of the fight is available from the safety department. IT'S NO SECRET WHAT HAPPENED HERE. THE COMPANY WANTS IT KNOWN. The safety department has an honest open door policy when it comes to, well, safety issues.. All are welcome. It's a point of education in order to prevent similar incidents.

Again, the guy who got his command taken away for the nonsense line check failure has been wronged by the company. Plain and simple. There isn't an organization worth a grain of salt that would have not at the very least just given him a re-check before chopping him altogether. It's true, we don't have all the facts, but I'm informed well enough around here by those who actually do have access to the facts that this is FD BS gone way too far. If this place doesn't get some good solid standardization and leadership in training, it's not going to survive.

had-enough
7th Jan 2014, 14:08
OKC,

Sir, do you talk of skulduggery? :O

Old King Coal
7th Jan 2014, 14:31
had-enough: Let's just say that certain people are no longer with FZ, and I would like to think that a more 'open & honest' system is in place, but we shall wait and see, eh?!

pole shift
7th Jan 2014, 16:35
It looks that a lot of FZ pilots are seriously demotivated. Something in this company is not correct..
:confused:

VeroFlyer
7th Jan 2014, 17:09
Really? I'm happy, good pay, fun flying, lots of holiday. Love this place and company, smashing it up! Don't really understand why people don't like it.

long-gonner
7th Jan 2014, 18:23
Some people do enjoy it. No union, health benefits change annually (for the worse!), pay stays the same, parking lot never increases in size, more night flights added every month, and my favorite....delicious crew food on every flight:yuk:!

skysod
7th Jan 2014, 18:36
Veroflyer......have to agree......I'm in my fifth year now, and yes there are many improvements I'd like to see, but on the whole am very happy here, and don't plan on going anywhere else soon! :)

High Energy
8th Jan 2014, 03:24
I'd say moral is good. ok, lot's of folk who don't want to be here BUT only because they got made redundant in their home country and this outfit was never their first choice so people inevitably complain. But you got to look through that and complaining is in the pilots genes anyway. :)

I love flying here and the bigget plus are the crews and atmosphere. The 'crew' food with this new business class is amazing, especially breakfast. For now... ;)

BritishGuy
8th Jan 2014, 03:38
Yes you're right, that Business Class food is amazing. But guess what? It's for the passengers NOT for you.

Contractpilot1
8th Jan 2014, 03:55
What are some of you guys on about??
The food? The occasional pretty and flirtatious cabin crew?

Yes. FD has a lot of good points. New PBS rostering, pay rises, bonus, expansion, travel perks, etc. BUT, what about the real issues? Those that effect YOUR CAREER and YOUR FAMILIES? Training (or lack of) is an absolute abortion . There isn't an LTC, TRI, or TRE that would disagree. The management positions are filled with individuals that couldn't give a toss about you as an employee. If you dare make any sort of error, you will get no support.

On the logistics side, well, that's another debacle. Try and get through a week without an incorrect load sheet for example.

Guys, the point is that FD has all the potential to be a GREAT place to work! I for one would like to see nothing more than for this company to succeed. For all of us to have a secure job for years to come. It just needs some housecleaning. If we continue to just "suck it up" and be happy because we got a warm croissant with breakfast, then things will just press on for the worse.

Think about it. We've got to stick together and push for positive change!

High Energy
8th Jan 2014, 04:33
Absolutely right, should have been more specific. I bring my own anyway and the normal food is crap indeed.

pole shift
8th Jan 2014, 06:10
Define good pay! Unless you stay in a down town Deira or Bur Dubai one bedroom apartment, there is not much left I am afraid...
Bad rosters unless you have top seniority, tasteless food, non existant staff travel, no provident fund,and of course all the stories you hear about people getting the axe...

what-to-do
8th Jan 2014, 11:22
High Energy,

Easy there fella, don't comment on my behalf. Might be sunny in your garden, but it's still a long way off in mine..... and many of my colleagues too.

If a quick splash of business class food is all you need to be happy, good on you. I'm more concerned with the real issues still to be addressed here at Flydubai.

PBS is good for the few, OK for many and ****e for the rest. Pay, do I really need to explain this? Housing allowance? Medical insurance? etc etc

High Energy
8th Jan 2014, 11:40
So do I read this (http://gulfbusiness.com/2014/01/flydubai-firms-up-boeing-airshow-order/#.Us1FtcsaySM) article right? The 25 options leave the door open for MAX 9's as they don't specify MAX 8's?

WTD, I wasn't commenting on anyone's behalf, just my 0.02c. I didn't say anything about these subjects and I think collectively we agree on the fact that they need to be raised big time.

MrCarlosDanger
9th Jan 2014, 10:54
Pole shift please expound on those getting the axe.

High Energy
11th Jan 2014, 11:25
Fly Dubai had proposed to commence operations from January 1 of this year, although the airline could not go ahead with the plan. It is now looking to start a Dubai-Bhubaneswar service from BPIA from April 1.

Link (http://m.ndtv.com/article/cities/bhubaneswar-international-operators-ready-to-begin-flights-from-city-s-airport-469548)

So why a 3 month delay? We recieved 3 or 4 new aircraft but didn't pick up any additional routes/frequencies.

flydream1982
11th Jan 2014, 14:57
I don't get it.
I passed the screening a few months ago but I've been unable to book for a non-rated interview as the training capacities are full for the next few months,and today I see that they're advertizing again for non type rated pilots. :confused:

B767PL
11th Jan 2014, 17:18
What is the status of hiring currently at flydubai?

Are they calling people for interviews still? Or is there a hold, as is rumoured in this thread?

What kind of experience have people been getting called with?

I have about 3,000TT, 1,400 Dash-8, and 1,100 on EMB-145 and counting, FAA/JAA rated not that it matters... not sure where that stacks up to people who have gotten the call..

Cheers !

flydream1982
11th Jan 2014, 23:46
Got the same profile as you. Right now they're just interviewing rated people...

Vortac1
12th Jan 2014, 01:03
I'd suggest to keep checking their website for the non-typed assessments, as often as you can. They had a few available early November, but they sure went fast.

Don't give up. They're backed up in the school house now, but they'll keep needing pilots for a while.

flydream1982
12th Jan 2014, 02:48
Thanks Vortac!
I check several Times a day.
Didn't see anything early november,the spots probably filled up within minutes...
I just need more luck I guess.

High Energy
13th Jan 2014, 17:20
Peackocks dead ahead...! Allegedly a double peacock strike during takeoff at Mattala, an airport know for wandering wildlife. Each engine took one peacock down the bypass section and ruined the inlet cowl and fan. Also heard some things about brakes/tyres etc associated with a heavy, high speed RTO. Plane was full allegedly. A spare aircraft was dispatched to Mattala with parts and half a dozen mechanics to get it repaired.

Link (http://www.lankaeagle.com/?p=9029)

Something to add to the briefing dor Mattala then. Anyways, an interesting scenario and something to talk about during a non-alcoholic drink afterwards. :)

B767PL
13th Jan 2014, 19:33
Thanks for reply.

My status is "waiting to be reviewed" for 54 days now.

skysecret
15th Jan 2014, 02:30
Would a pilot with 1500 TT 500 Multi engine and frozen ATPL be considered at all? They take cadets and type rated pilots, is there a place for someone with my experience there?

Vortac1
15th Jan 2014, 03:11
From their careers website...

First Officers (Non Type Rated)

At least 2,500 hours total flying time.
At least 1,000 hours on modern (EFIS), multi-crew, multi-engine aircraft over 10 tonnes operating weight (preference will be given to those with PIC time).

I'd still apply and find out.

High Energy
15th Jan 2014, 12:31
Since when are we operating to HOF in Saudi? It popped-up together with a BAH rotation on the PBS triplist for FEB. No mention of it in OM-C either.

Link (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dxb-hof)

G-OSND
15th Jan 2014, 14:16
New destination announced on Monday. Twice weekly to begin with. Already served by Air Arabia.

High Energy
15th Jan 2014, 15:24
Hmmm, I check all relevant news sites daily so weird I've missed it. Have you got any link? How do they find these places?! :ok:

Old King Coal
15th Jan 2014, 15:48
Doing the math on the just released seniority list (versus the one from the year before), reveals that in 2013:
Quit the company = 16
Recruited = 157
Current pilots of all ranks = 503

FZ has been operating flights for 4½ years and presently operates 35 x B737-800. The 36th aircraft arrives in mid-Feb.

Voodoo 3
15th Jan 2014, 18:42
Since when are we operating to HOF in Saudi?

Hey, don't Hassle the HOF!

Alright, hat, coat, leaving…..:rolleyes:

SebastianDesoto
16th Jan 2014, 16:21
Is there anyone on these boards with direct insight into recruitment? My Dubai interview was early September 2013. I got the good letter a couple weeks after. The entire time they said our class would be targeted for May/June of 2014. I decided to make the call to recruitment coordinator. I am not sure if we understood each other properly, but it sounded like September 2014 is the new target date.

I suppose if you are NTR and do not have a class date at this point, the offer can not be counted on. That is the sense I am getting here.

Twin2040
16th Jan 2014, 22:11
I just heard november as non T/R Commander

SebastianDesoto
16th Jan 2014, 23:22
That is a lot of time for a lot of things to change.

simba82
16th Jan 2014, 23:41
Hey guys was wondering if anyone of you knew what the pay for Engineers is for a b1 certifying engineer and what benefits(housing allowance,flight benefits and medical) come with that job i know this is a flight deck topic but if any of you fz guys have any info would be much appreciated thanks

Coupled_To_Me
17th Jan 2014, 06:49
When did you have your final interview Twin?

High Energy
17th Jan 2014, 17:59
Interesting article on flydubai and Wizz Air.

Link (http://m.gulfnews.com/business/aviation/wizz-air-carries-33-000-since-launch-in-dubai-1.1278702)

Also mentions flydubai is interested in flying to Lviv, Ukraine.

LostinT2DXB
17th Jan 2014, 18:36
Lviv might fit the profile, but there was a separate article that said Air Arabia was to start service there and flydubai would serve Dnipropetrovsk. However FZ scrapped the service to DNK and added a second Kiev flight, probably to compete with Wizz. Flydubai's business plan revolves around serving markets where LCCs already exsist:ugh:

High Energy
18th Jan 2014, 04:12
I'm happy I can pronounce these places, let alone spell them correctly! :D

mutt
18th Jan 2014, 04:46
I hope that you guys know about TIBA procedures for the smaller airports in Saudi?

mutt

Old King Coal
18th Jan 2014, 06:36
Mutt: Yes indeed (wherein we've being doing TIBA for years)... that said, one does have to wonder at ones legal position, i.e. when one is issued with a "Radar Service Terminated, continue with TIBA procedures" whilst one is ostensibly operating in accordance with an IFR flight plan (with all the safety elements that IFR entails), and yet one can certainly imagine that, at a subsequent Board of Enquiry, the reason for the 'mid-air collision' would be laid firmly and squarely upon "...the crews failure to maintain adequate separation", or some such phrase.

The bottom line is that, in this day & age, there should be no excuse for operating a Public Transport flight, in a multi-million dollar jet aircraft, packed full of passengers & crew, without the benefit of radar coverage and the constraints of IFR, and especially so in a country supposedly as wealthy as Saudi Arabia !

mutt
18th Jan 2014, 07:27
Is it any different to using uncontrolled airports in the USA? We are keen to ensure that operators understand TIBA, as in the past it was common for leased airlines to ignore the process completely. Quite disturbing to find someone has decided to takeoff on a reciprocal runway without talking to anyone :)

mutt

busykill
18th Jan 2014, 21:32
Does anyone else have an assessment with ctc 4th feb? Type rated.

atlas12
24th Jan 2014, 00:11
At least 1,000 hours on modern (EFIS), multi-crew, multi-engine aircraft over 10 tonnes operating weight (preference will be given to those with PIC time).

Does that include turboprop time? Last time I checked flydubai was jet time only.

Otto Throttle
24th Jan 2014, 05:00
Given the numbers of TP pilots who have joined the company in the last year, I would say 'yes'.

Vortac1
25th Jan 2014, 03:26
Hello ties... :/

8028410q
25th Jan 2014, 10:15
My nine year old son could have drawn a better uniform.. What's with gold braid/stripes on the shoulders AND the cuffs of the jackets? Back to the drawing board I'm afraid, or give me an EK uniform with a different tie and cap badge (if we must have a cap).

:=

Old King Coal
25th Jan 2014, 10:24
Oh gawd... please not hats and / or ties! :ugh: ... and certain aspects of the engineers uniform will have them looking like extras from a 'Village People' video, which will certainly be popular with the boys on the ramp, not!... YMCA anybody?! ;)

Village People - YMCA OFFICIAL Music Video 1978 - YouTube

olster
25th Jan 2014, 11:04
Very funny OKC - as usual your wry observation and commentary ref fz are spot on. Glad that you have recovered from your unfortunate bout of Stockholm Syndrome . Carry on the good work.

cheers

plasticmerc
25th Jan 2014, 14:32
Hard hats for engineers? friggen hilarious

High Energy
25th Jan 2014, 15:09
Some were beyond bad. I 'prefer' the 2nd option 'Structuring Timelines'. But why get rid of the current light blue/orange tones the cc has. That looks very fresh and stylish. Option 1 and 3 are a definate no-no! Suddenly it's all so cold and dull.

If anyone at Triburg is reading this; NO hat and clipon tie only!!! It's not the 80's anymore...:ugh:

what-to-do
26th Jan 2014, 05:25
Not really ar*ed about any new uniform to be honest, can it be any worse than our taxi driver outfit that we currently have?

More importantly, where's the rosters, AGAIN?

Anyone know what the rush was to get PBS up and running before ironing out any software issues? Seems the scheduling department and the pilots would have both benefitted from a little more time prior to going live.

FlyingTinCans
26th Jan 2014, 06:08
I'm happy to see Hats & Ties on the way (clip on ties though please!). The flight deck uniform needs smarting up especially as we operate in a part of the world where image is everything.

Does anyone know the reasoning (if any) why we use PBS so close to roster release day? With clearly so many issues still to iron out why don't we PBS towards the beginning of the month and then rostering have more time to correct any issues?

High Energy
26th Jan 2014, 06:58
I think they leave PBS so close to the roster publication date because commercial's in the way. You know what they are like. :rolleyes:

dubaigong
26th Jan 2014, 08:30
If it was commercial only , how can we explain that the cabin crew have their roster already since a few days...

Old King Coal
26th Jan 2014, 11:59
In the 9 day period between when I put my bid into PBS versus how it looks right now, this is what I can see if I compare the two data sets of the (then vs now) flying program:

R = Removed / A = Added

R - 01-Feb: 1(DOH+DOH) / 7831(JED)
R - 02-Feb: 1(DOH+DOH) / 7831(JED)
R - 03-Feb: 7831(JED)
R - 04-Feb: 707(GYD) / 7831(JED)
R - 06-Feb: 7831(JED) / 8053(KWI) / 8933(KZN)
R - 07-Feb: 7831(JED)
R - 08-Feb: 7831(JED)
R - 09-Feb: 7831(JED)
R - 10-Feb: 933(KZN) / 975(VOG) / 977(MRV) / 7831(JED)
R - 11-Feb: 707(GYD) / 903(KUF) / 7831(JED)
R - 13-Feb: 981(ROV) / 7831(JED) / 8053(KWI)
A - 13-Feb: 575(KTM)
R - 14-Feb: 939(UFA) / 983(KRR) / 7831(JED)
A - 14-Feb: 7001(JED)
R - 15-Feb: 611(JUB) / 7831(JED)
A - 15-Feb: 7003(JED)
R - 16-Feb: 7831(JED)
R - 17-Feb: 933(KZN) / 975(VOG) / 977(MRV)
R - 18-Feb: 707(GYD) / 903(KUF) / 4357(KDH) / 7831(JED)
A - 18-Feb: 141(AMM) / 7007(JED)
R - 19-Feb: 611(JUB)
A - 19-Feb: 7009(JED)
R - 20-Feb: 981(ROV) / 4357(KDH) / 7831(JED)
A - 20-Feb: 141(AMM)
R - 21-Feb: 939(UFA) / 983(KRR) / 7831(JED)
A - 21-Feb: 7011(JED)
R - 22-Feb: 611(JUB) / 4357(KDH) / 7831(JED)
A - 22-Feb: 141(AMM) / 7013(JED)
R - 23-Feb: 7831(JED)
R - 24-Feb: 7831(JED)
A - 24-Feb: 7015(JED)
R - 25-Feb: 707(GYD) / 903(KUF) / 7831(JED)
A - 25-Feb: 141(AMM) / 7017(JED)
A - 26-Feb: 7019(JED)
R - 27-Feb: 4357(KDH) / 7831(JED)
A - 27-Feb: 141(AMM)
R - 28-Feb: 633(KRT) / 7831(JED)
A - 28-Feb: 7021(JED)

By my maths, that’s 55 flights removed versus 16 flights added, sometime during the last 9 days, and thus there might well indeed be something in the argument that the Commercial Dept are indeed changing the flying program, right up to the last minute, though quite how much that impacts the Rostering is a mute point, though it can't help.

The 'net' result is a decrease of 39 flights for the month of February; BUT, putting that into perspective, that's a reduction from a total of 2,228 flight duties (based upon the flying program of just over 1 week ago) down to 2,189 possible flight duties (using data from today's flying program) which crews might be assigned to.

High Energy
26th Jan 2014, 12:04
Wow, interesting, how did you make that list? Is it me or are most added flights to Jeddah! What's going on there next month...

Old King Coal
26th Jan 2014, 12:23
Wrt how did I make that list?... let's just say that in a previous life I was a Systems Software & Database guru and that there's not much I don't know when it comes to accessing data and then manipulating it to my own ends! :8

I think you'll find that some of those flights which have been added are merely a rescheduling for others, on that same day, that have been removed (i.e. they're to the same destination on that day, albeit with different flight number, and different time of departure).

jetstreem
27th Jan 2014, 06:01
I'm afraid that I can't agree with the people who actually want hats & ties. In the summer, the last thing you'll want is to be buttoned all the way up. And how many members of the public actually see us on a normal day?! Hats only make pilots look like chauffeurs or strippers. Sorry, but it's true. They're useful for that and putting keys in when you get home. And in the flight deck, I'm assuming you're going to put them in all of that storage that we don't have.

I wouldn't mind a different uniform, but other than the 'bowling shoes' we're given and the ridiculous 'bling wings' that are designed solely to catch on as many things as possible in the flight deck, it's not that bad. It's low maintenance at least.

Going on that presentation, someone with not a great deal of imagination has just copied the uniform from the likes of KLM and Emirates but just used FZ colouring pencils! The stripes on the shoulders of the jackets did make me laugh though!

Old King Coal
27th Jan 2014, 08:59
jetstreem: I totally agree!... albeit, wrt shoes, I actually like those 'winter' boots (the ones with the zips) that FZ provide.

come_flyin
28th Jan 2014, 03:26
Wow looks fab. Where did that come from?

Kam Heard
28th Jan 2014, 05:55
Hey guys,
Just to let you know I can say with certainty that the uniform in that presentation is NOT flydubai's new uniform.

Coupled_To_Me
29th Jan 2014, 16:35
Has anyone non rated received a start date recently? If so, when did you pass selection? Thanks

Raropilot
30th Jan 2014, 00:04
Hey guys/girls

What is the time to command? Pay and roster? Currently in the left seat of a dash 8. 6000TT. ICAO ATPL (NZ) Had a look at the careers website but there doesn't appear to be any flight crew positions available... :}

Vortac1
30th Jan 2014, 03:37
Hey Raro, I'd suggest to go ahead and read up the thread. At least the last third of it for the most recent/relevant information, it will answer all your questions. Well worth it if you are considering FD.

On a side note, can anybody confirm if the uniforms posted earlier are in fact FD's new uniforms? Sources?

copycatz123
1st Feb 2014, 09:06
Can not open link. ..do you have a new one?
What are the colour scheme?
Does anyone know what the new uniform looks like for cabin crew. .

High Energy
1st Feb 2014, 09:47
Try opening it on a pc or iMac. iPhone or iPad don't work. Give it some time to load as well.

yuck
1st Feb 2014, 10:19
Flydubai moving to DWC, General Civil Aviation Authority says | GulfNews.com (http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/flydubai-moving-to-dwc-general-civil-aviation-authority-says-1.1284507)

:eek::eek::eek:

High Energy
1st Feb 2014, 13:52
At least it's easier to reach for some, less traffic headache. Hopefully less delays too and a quicker expansion of Flydubai.

Old King Coal
1st Feb 2014, 15:08
Albeit that 'Kam Heard' has assured us (above) that this is NOT IT.... here's a peek at what a certain company 'proposed' as a replacement uniform for FZ's front-line staff:

http://aero.kicks-ass.net/images/FlyDubai/ProposedUniforms.png

DILLIGAF.
3rd Feb 2014, 04:00
Oliver72:

As always, it depends on what you are looking for in life, if you're moving just because you are pissed at FR, probably not the greatest motivation. I f you are looking at future command, career progression, etc then you need to seriously compare the two. Things are not perfect here, or in any airline worldwide, but, in my opinion, they are better (roster not included). However, this is my opinion, you will undoubtedly have a different financial/family/lifestyle outlook on life to me, so really you need to do as much research as you possibly can.

On the point of things improving in FR....again just my opinion....but I think you are a little deluded/optimistic regards this.

Its your future, your career, your choice....feel free to PM me and I will give you my honest opinion on both

McNulty
3rd Feb 2014, 19:36
Anyone have any info on DEC recruitment at Fly Dubai?

Seems to only be FO positions on the website for the past while.

Blue system
3rd Feb 2014, 21:44
@McNulty,

FZ is moving towards all internal upgrades as we speak...there are plenty of suitable candidates for upgrades. CP's words at last pilot meeting....:ok:

Blue system
3rd Feb 2014, 21:46
That being said...of course there will be some DEC hiring to and from.

McNulty
3rd Feb 2014, 22:02
Thanks,

I imagine with their aircraft order they will struggle to produce enough captains in the coming years.

Vortac1
3rd Feb 2014, 22:52
FZ is moving towards all internal upgrades as we speak...there are plenty of suitable candidates for upgrades. CP's words at last pilot meeting....

This is great news indeed. I'm not too sure if they will struggle to find captains from within, even though they have tons of airplanes coming, they will arrive gradually through a long period of time (several years span).

Any word from the CP during that meeting on whether FD is moving to DWC?

FlyingTinCans
4th Feb 2014, 06:57
Did the new uniform get a mention in the CP meeting?

High Energy
11th Feb 2014, 08:32
How long before we get these Split Scimitar winglets installed?

the retrofit will result in up to an additional 2% fuel savings for their 737 aircraft.

Link (http://airchive.com/blog/2014/02/09/aviation-partners-boeing-receives-faa-certification-split-scimitar-winglets/)

High Energy
13th Feb 2014, 14:57
Interesting article about the UAE-Qatar flights.

Link (http://www.gulf-times.com/mobile//opinion/189/details/380948/qatar-uae-air-corridor-nears-magical-100-flights-a-day)

captain.weird
14th Feb 2014, 16:19
Guys what about the new TQ programme in co-operation with CAE?

https://pilot.cae.com/Programs/FlyDubai.aspx

flydream1982
15th Feb 2014, 15:06
Well,I guess it's going to make it even harder for non-rated applicants to get an interview date, if they go ahead with this new scheme... :bored:

Toilet
17th Feb 2014, 09:47
Heard this the other day: One of the FO´s where doing a line training flights with the " Xtra mile guy". He was then asked if he would yell at the cabin crew, and the fo said of course no. The FO failed his upgrade due to the fact that he said no to that question. The "Xtra mile guy" yelled that he was tired of FDB and that there was too much CRM in the company. It sounds crazy, can any one verify this story..

Vortac1
17th Feb 2014, 12:55
I smell BS.

There's gotta be more to that story...

Old King Coal
17th Feb 2014, 15:18
Let's just say that that's how I heard it too, i.e. that we need to stop being so 'nice' (because that's not what CRM is about)... at least that's the gist of the version I heard.

So, from now on and in-line with the new ethos, my CRM technique is gonna be very much 'old school'... aka, Captain's Right Mate !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZsvXloiOaU

MrCarlosDanger
18th Feb 2014, 02:13
We all know the guy is right up there with Bozo the Clown...but do you think he's that stupid?? I gave one of our FAs a stare the other day and that's all it took.

what-to-do
18th Feb 2014, 03:24
Vortac1, how long have you been at FZ?

jimmyg
18th Feb 2014, 07:36
The sad fact is these types of stories are not only true but rather common place flying around these parts.

I have more crazy, insane and just plan old stupid stories that I have personally witnessed in the last 7 years here, than the previous twenty at my last outfit.

When people ask me about my work here at a social gathering, I can keep them entertained at length, without embellishment for hours of OMG no way moments.

olster
18th Feb 2014, 11:43
So true jimmy. I have a lifetime - worth store of hilarious anecdotes courtesy of flying in this region. High comedy and barely believable at times. The heady combination of ego and lack of humility always helps.

cheers

jimmyg
19th Feb 2014, 00:12
The funniest part is a majority of these SNAFU's come from our management.:uhoh:

Contractpilot1
24th Feb 2014, 14:14
Stockholm Syndrome for sure...

Mate,

The "standard" which you speak of is exactly the issue here at FD....there is no F'ing standard! You mean you failed to meet "THE EXTRA MILE GUY'S" standard....misguided and fickle as it may have been on your day.

I for one am absolutely disgusted with the lack of accountability in the management ranks.

High Energy
25th Feb 2014, 03:56
India-Dubai seat increase on the horizon but Indian airlines and some politicians are up in arms against it. Protectionisme at it's best...link (http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/protest-by-airlines-may-halve-dubais-plea-for-20000-extra-seats/articleshow/30964682.cms).

rsbessa
26th Feb 2014, 14:18
Hi Jeckel...

First of all, I'm very sorry that they didn't give your upgrade !

Someone definitely gotta have big balls for coming here and sharing this kind of thing.

Would you mind if I ask what kind of tech question you failed to answer ?

If you don't feel ok to share that with us, I will totally understand.

I'm sorry if I'm being too invasive to ask you that...

Cheers,

High Energy
26th Feb 2014, 16:10
Ryanair to dry-lease 3 B738's from Flydubai for 3 months during the runway closure time.

Link (http://www.flightlevel.be/39627/leegloop-van-piloten-bij-ryanair-zorgt-voor-problemen).
(Dutch only)

Also 1 B738 to go to Brussels for Jetairfly. Dry-or-wet lease unknown yet.

High Energy
26th Feb 2014, 16:44
Additional 11,000 weekly seats spread over 18 months.

New Delhi, Feb 26 (PTI) India and Dubai tonight decided to increase bilateral air traffic rights by 11,000 seats per week after a marathon 11-hour meeting here.

According to the understanding, the number of seats will be increased by 5,500 in the summer schedule starting March-end, another 3,300 from winter-schedule starting October-end and the remaining 2,220 from the summer season next year, official sources told PTI after the meeting.

Link (http://www.ptinews.com/news/4446923_India--Dubai-to-increase-bilateral-air-traffic-rights-by.html)

The Indian airlines will be laughing. Original request was for 20.000 additional weekly seats effective immediately. After much protest by Air India and another, unidentified Indian airline, together with oposing politicians it's become 11.000 seats spread out over 18 months. What do you think of this increase?

pole shift
26th Feb 2014, 20:16
It will at least keep the aircraft flying. Otherwise we would start flying to AUH, RAK and...Dubai Mall:}

Vortac1
27th Feb 2014, 01:48
Quick question...

Now that PBS has been online for a little a bit, I imagine it serves its purpose of catering only to the top third of each pilot group (as usual), but has it shown any overall increase to min days off or is it still 9 per month across most of the pilots?

Usually the bad things of each airline surface these forums with ease, good things, not so much... Just curious if there may be some positives of PBS to the other 2/3 of the pilot group...

Thanks.
V

Mrglass
27th Feb 2014, 04:21
Hello,

Can someone please either post or PM me the breakdown for Captain pay for someone who started late 2013.

My contract says when you upgrade you will get the Captain package that was in effect when you joined...but they don't every tell you exactly what that is.

Need: Basic, Housing, Travel & Per Diem numbers please.

Thank you.

And in case anyone needs it: FO numbers are/were:

Basic 17k, Housing 12k, Travel 1700, Per Diem 110.
So: Per month 30,700 standard + variable flight pay.

High Energy
27th Feb 2014, 06:24
@ Vortac1. As someone in the lower 1/3 group I can say that PBS makes all the difference. For 3 months straight I got 90% of what I bid for and the rosters are awesome. BUT it all depends what you want out of PBS. You got to be smart too. No point bidding for Belgrade or the likes.

I'm averaging 15 ' days off' a month as a junior F/O...and 80 block hrs.

Old King Coal
27th Feb 2014, 09:48
... and I'm saying nothing! :O

Vortac1
28th Feb 2014, 02:06
High Energy wrote:
@ Vortac1. As someone in the lower 1/3 group I can say that PBS makes all the difference. For 3 months straight I got 90% of what I bid for and the rosters are awesome. BUT it all depends what you want out of PBS. You got to be smart too. No point bidding for Belgrade or the likes.

I'm averaging 15 ' days off' a month as a junior F/O...and 80 block hrs.

Alright, I do have my Sarcasm Switch turned on... I take it from the irony of your reply that things did not improve even a single bit with PBS? I wouldn't be surprised since after almost 6 years of dealing with it at my airline I've come to develop very little love for it...

A straight shot answer would've been a bit more useful, but I will never frown upon a well built sarcastic reply. Cheers ::beer mug:: :D

WYOMINGPILOT
28th Feb 2014, 03:37
These figures are not the latest but should be close. The Dirham is 3.66 to the US $

Captain’s Salary
Salary per month
Value in AED
Basic salary
Housing allowance
Transportation allowance
Variable Flying Pay *
(based on working an 80 hour month)
Projected Total
Variable Pay:
Callout Pay – If you work on a non-rostered day, you shall receive an additional AED 350 per day.
Flying Pay – You shall receive an additional AED 150 for every block-flying hour you work.

spanishfly69
28th Feb 2014, 05:09
WYOMINGPILOT, those numbers that you are talking about are not the actual numbers. Those were the initial package which is called "Scale A". Now days FD has "A,B,C,D.. Scales" for Captains and FO's
A new Captain starts on "Scale C" which is approximately 13-15% less than "Scale A"

skysod
28th Feb 2014, 05:58
PBS.......best thing since sliced bread!!......and no I am not being sarcastic......rosters are now almost perfect as far as I'm concerned!:):)

Old King Coal
28th Feb 2014, 06:19
Fwiw, I am an 'A' Scale Captain / line-pilot in FZ and I receive the following monthly:
Basic Salary: 26,705 AED
Housing Allowance: 16,000 AED
Transport Allowance: 4,000 AEDIt is the above elements that are subject to the 'scales'.

There is also:
Flight Duty Pay: 160 Dhs per block hour (for Captains).
All Captain's receive that last particular payment at the same rate (i.e. regardless of which 'scale' they might be on wrt other aspects of their renumeration).

For my last 4½ years of flight ops within FZ I have consistently achieved 850 block hours per annum.

For me, at least, my annual take-home pay has been in the region of: 706,000 AED / $192,209 USD / €139,335 EUR / £115,156 GBP,... and out of that I have to pay for my accommodation, utility bills, transport, etc (though school fees and / or medical bills would be dealt with via separate allowances, and which I have not included in the aforementioned figures).

In summary, there are indeed several scales for T&C's (for Captains & F/O's) within FZ, though I'm not sure precisely how much each scale gets (but they are, nonetheless, a little bit less than the so called 'A' scale but maybe not as much as spanishfly suggested, wherein the 'A' scalers have not received any increase in Basic Salary since 2010 and likewise that they have received zero increase in the accommodation and transport allowances since joining in 2009... and thus the 'B', 'C', 'D', etc scales are now catching up).

Nb. There is no direct taxation levied within the UAE, though if you are the holder of a USA Passport your government will still expect you to pay tax back home in the good'ole USofA, i.e. based upon your worldwide income, which would therein include what you earn in the UAE (wherein my understanding of it is that: the USA Government will ignore the first $90k USD of your worlwide earnings, but will tax you on anything above that amount and will do so at the rate defined by the total amount of your worldwide earnings & allowances, i.e. they will use whatever is the tax rate that applies based upon the total figure of your earnings & allowances, including the first $90k USD, and apply that tax rate to whatever it is that you earned in excess of the first $90k USD. Aside: the irony should not be lost upon us that the Boston Tea Party kicked off the War of Independence - much due to a tax upon tea, amongst other reasons - ultimately leading to the separation of the fledgling USA from the motherland UK, but that today British expats pay no tax on their foreign earnings, whereas USA expats do!... well I really shouldn't laugh, but... lol )

Ps. PBS = :ok:

High Energy
28th Feb 2014, 09:19
@ Vortac1. Sorry to say but my reply was honest, no sarcasm whatsoever. We're at a point on pprune where honest replies are not even considered. AFAIK thats why we have smilies...

And yes, I do have nearly average 15 days off a month with 17 days off* this month. (NO SARCASM)
* = 10x rostered days off + 7 days where I'm at home till 10pm thus in my eyes a day off.

Vortac1
28th Feb 2014, 12:48
Oh wow, may bad. Sarcasm switch was on but way off, lol. I'm surprised to hear such good news from PBS. Glad to hear that at least a bit more control is given to the crew when it's time to get their rosters.

Thanks again for the info!
V

pole shift
28th Feb 2014, 15:10
To have 15 days OFF is not happening for the vast majority of pilots, left or right seat.
To put it simpler senior pilots get what they want especially 15+ days off, no night flights, and very few SBys.
All the others get minimum days off, night flights and double sectors, irrespective what they bid for.
So there are privileged pilots and non privileged pilots. Is PBS doing what is supposed to? Is PBS meant to give someone 8 or 9 days off MORE than his/her colleagues? We were told that it was meant to control our life style, however PBS DISCRIMINATES, rather than trying to keep some degree of fairness.

ab1804
28th Feb 2014, 15:54
What is the pay scale for a junior F/O if one were to join flydubai now?

what-to-do
28th Feb 2014, 16:58
Poleshift,

What you describe in your post is what I have endured for the last three plus years. PBS does not discriminate, it rewards those pilots who wish to stay.

The men and women I fly with, even those with relatively low seniority, are still getting better rosters than I did 6 months ago.

Not sure how long you've been with FZ, BUT, if after three years of what we've been through, there is no way you would complain about PBS.

8 days off was the norm for a long time. As was three long nights in a row, followed by one day off before a run of earlies.

Been there, done it, got the T-shirt.

pole shift
28th Feb 2014, 18:53
What to do,
Some people would be wearing that t-shirt you are talking about for quite some time.