PDA

View Full Version : Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

High Energy
1st Jul 2014, 17:24
No flights from DWC after the runway re-opening at DXB for the forseeable future. Yes there was a leaked memo a few months ago about us moving our whole operation to DWC in 2015 etc etc...but as with anything here I'll believe it when it's in black and white ACN format. (aka internal company memo's)

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend on your rent. RAK works for some, not for others. Same with The Marina, JBR, Deira, Mirdiff, Arabian Ranches etc etc.

Getting your kids into a good school in Dubai is tricky. Looooong waitinglists and some schools are really expensive compared to the same curriculum elsewhere.
Note that a lot of schools will ask a NON Refundable fee of a minimum 500 AED to put ONE kid on a waitinglist. So it's wise to try and match rental costs with school area's/your daily school run commute as much as you can before coming out here. PM me if you want more info.

flydream1982
1st Jul 2014, 17:49
Traveling with your own company is really a bad joke. You can purchase firm 50% tickets and only if those tickets are available for your flight.

What do you mean exactly? You can buy firm 50% tickets for some destinations only, and not the whole network?

FlyingTinCans
1st Jul 2014, 18:25
On FZ we don't get standby tickets. We can purchase normal full fare tickets at a discounted rate that's "up to 50%" off the commercial fare.

Some flights are 30% off some 0%! All depends on the predicted loads, length of sector etc.

flydream1982
1st Jul 2014, 19:50
Oh I see! Thanks!

Skud Run
2nd Jul 2014, 02:13
If anybody is going for the assessment on July 08 drop me a line. I will be driving down from Cambridge and London on Sunday. I also have a hotel booked if you are interested in dividing the cost and sharing the room.:)

flydream1982
2nd Jul 2014, 03:03
I would have 2 other questions, as my starting date is approaching:

- how many days prior to your starting date do they usually fly you to Dubai?

- when does the medical coverage start?

Thank you!

jetstreem
2nd Jul 2014, 04:08
Flydream, in my experience it was left completely up to us to decide when to come. Most people arrived a couple of days early to recover and get their bearings. Some crazy people arrived just the night before. Your 30 days accommodation on the company start from whenever you arrive. Just pick your flights and ask your joining coordinator for them.

Medical starts straight away, I think. But there's always a grey area before you've got your residency visa stamped. Once you've got that, you're definitely covered. Usually takes a week or two depending on how much/little the government offices are working. If you're arriving during Ramadan, things might take a few more days...

SteepApproach
2nd Jul 2014, 07:54
Hi, as far as I know the training for non type takes about 3 months and a half, my wife will reach me after the training will be completed and we will start to look for an house. do you have any suggestion on how fill the gap between the first accomodation month set by FZ and the other 2? I mean do you know any residence confortable with the training center and reasonable in price?
Thanx

Vortex Thing
2nd Jul 2014, 07:57
Flydream
All your coverage and everything to do with your legal employment status officially starts on your join date. However you will find that in harsh reality until you have a residents visa/ official ability to work legally you are at the companys discretion.

Though you arrive on a temporary pink A4 employment visa, until you are scanned, finger printed and medicalled and then they have actually put the visa in your passport you will find that you have no access to any part of eGovernment so though by any reasonable standard you are legally employed you would be unlikley to be able to receive any benefit from that status until you have the visa.

What does this all mean, no bank will touch you, cannot register a car, cannot insure car, cannot sponsor family, cannot get driving licence, cannot register children at school etc, etc

That said they are pretty quick now with your visa.i.e 2-3 weeks maximum.

With respect to joining I would come 2-3 days early like advised above to get your bearings unless you are already familiar with Dubai and also bear in mind if you are one of our 2-3 groups of July joiners that you are joining in Ramadam so many things like banks etc will be closed when you arrive here and no one will/can help you coupled with you will be working 10-12 hour days for your first 3-4 weeks every weekeday. So please make sure that you bring enough cash or access to your foregin bank as possible as even when you get joining allowances etc you will find that you are forking out for a lot of initial set up.

If you need help with schools and the like then PM me like High Energy said. If you want British curriculum then I can help more than if you want Aussie or US etc. We only would send our children to 5 schools and therefore to secure a place had to pay 25,000 AED debenture for each child before they would even let us have a place. This is on top of registration fees and assesment fees, (bear in mind your child can fail entry standard assesment and you will loose the place)

On top of this you need to get a car, pay house deposits, agency fees again for housing, likely school fees deposit (at least 10% of your annual fees per child) all in all we needed just under 200,000 AED of cash before my wife had even gotten on the plane from UK. So that she arrived into our house, with the kids and school places and with a car to drive.

Last but not least, if your wife has never driven on this side of the road before that may be a factor with school runs to take into account!

Good luck!

Vortex Thing
2nd Jul 2014, 08:16
Current rates are:-

17,500AED + 20%tax per month in the Marriott Executive Apartments.
21,000 1 bed or 24,000 2 bed apartments in FZ preferred hotel which is the Dusit Thani on the main Sheik Zayed Rd. This is where the firm will place you if you do not ask for somewhere else or make your own arrangements.

Then we have the alternatives (fine but really you want a car for these) much more cheap and much more cheerful Abidos Hotel Apartments which all in are 13,500AED for 1bed & 16,500AED for 2 bed per month.

Premier inn Dubai Airport is 395AED per day which is pretty much 12,000AED per month. i.e your usual monthly accommodation allowance as a comparison.

The reality is say you want a 3/4 bed villa for the family you will pay 12-18,000AED pcm so you could basically get in the house slowly set everything up for your family and its the same price as being in a hotel ( granted a hotel there are no bills for wifi, DEWA etc

If You are going the 2/3 bed apartment route then you will definitely save cash by moving into your permanent accomodation sooner rather than later.

If you have friends here use their guidance as though your wife spotted the nice 3 bed in International City, Jebel Ali or Al Quoz for 110k and cannot see what the fuss is about you may find that you will sorely regret that choice within about 48 hrs of her arrival and certainly by the time any school runs or journeys to the sim and work have been done.

Bear in mind to take a smorgasbord of ideas from us on this forum. There are pilots like OKC who joined FZ back when Pontius was a pilot and therefore remember thinking that 120,000 per annum was outrageous for a 5 bed 6000 sq ft villa with a pool and complete with fluffers that 120k will now set you up in a studio in some areas,

Get online and invest lost of time now in looking at property on property finder et al. PM me once you are in country and I am happy to give you a recommend for two or three good estate agents, there are thousands of bad ones feel free to reinvent the wheel but trust us that we have all used bad ones and wasted a lot of very valuable time. And that time is valuable when you arrive as you simply will not have enough of it.

Old King Coal
2nd Jul 2014, 08:47
Vortex Thing: I resemble that remark.... ;)

Fwiw, way back when, i.e. when I was teaching Pontious how to fly, pretty much all of us lived in apartments on the the Palm Jumeirah, and the annual rent was 200k DHS (plus taxes and utilities)... but I don't recall any 'fluffers' being included in the package (more's the pity).

SteepApproach
2nd Jul 2014, 09:56
Thanx a Lot Vortex!!! Really appreciate

Saltaire
2nd Jul 2014, 12:56
There are pilots like OKC who joined FZ back when Pontius was a pilot

Like 6 years ago? Ahhh. ok.

Now is a good time to negotiate rents.

flydream1982
2nd Jul 2014, 14:04
Jetstreem and Vortex Thing, thank you so much! I really appreciate your help and advice.
I'm starting in a couple of weeks, I was thinking of arriving about a week before to recover from the jetlag.
It will just be my wife and I, so a 1 bedroom is good enough at the beginning, we have no kids.
Vortex, I will definitely PM you just before arriving to get in touch with the real estate agents you recommend :)

SteepApproach
2nd Jul 2014, 17:27
I'll PM u as well Vortex but in 3 months :)

Vortac1
3rd Jul 2014, 07:36
Flydubai also uses the Crown plaza hotel in a Sheik Zayed Rd for those who elect to take company accommodation for the first 30 days. Once your 30days are gone you can elect to stay at that hotel and pay them out of your own pocket (using FD housing allowance for the second month and on...). The crown plaza will charge you th same rate they charged FD, 12,000 AED.

Some have elected to move out after the first 30 days to a studio on a monthly rental basis or to a cheaper hotel (Holiday Inn, for example) until training is done and save some money. Then after a couple of months or when things settle a bit, go find your permanent place.

jetstreem
3rd Jul 2014, 10:48
The cheapest (semi decent) hotel seems to be the holiday inn express close to DXB T3 and the emirates HQ. If I remember correctly its something like 250/- per night with an FZ rate. You'll have to be creative when it comes to cooking/laundry, but it is cheap. Otherwise you can take you chances in Bur Dubai with a hotel apt, but you'll almost certainly get no change out of your 12000/-

FWIW, I took the first month from the company, then spent a week in the cheapest hotel I could find, whilst I was getting my rental agreement sorted, then straight into a good apartment with my family for the next year. Be prepared to sweat a lot, chasing real estate agents around town in every spare moment, but it's worth it. An easier option (especially at this time of year) might be to extend at the hotel for the second month on the company, then go from there.

And as much as people say 'do lots of research on potential areas to live', really nothing compares to actually driving/walking around town. If you're not familiar with the city then you really need to see it for yourself for a few weeks. Plenty of people on here can give you good advice though.

I'm not certain, but you might be fortunate in that there's probably less demand for rentals in the couple of months over the summer, so getting in there sooner rather than later might just work in your favour, before september rolls back around. Just my thoughts...

Scott_T
3rd Jul 2014, 11:15
hi guys do I have any chance of getting into FZ with 1200TT and 900 on type, my ATPL is also frozen... i know some airlines are leniant, are they really desperate?

A6FDB
4th Jul 2014, 07:51
Flydubai heading to Zagreb Croatia and Sarajevo Bosnia Herzegovina this winter (http://www.balkans.com/open-news.php?uniquenumber=194150)

Anyone has any more info on new routes? And would it be possible to operate these flights with 1 crew. Considering I go into about 10 min discretion every time I do Belgrade I'm not sure how they will accommodate this. Cost index 100?

latetonite
5th Jul 2014, 05:10
To scott: your ATPL is frozen? Oh my god, who did that to you?

dubaigong
5th Jul 2014, 06:59
To Latetonite: Very smart joke , I hope you have better ones for your long flights

nakbin330
5th Jul 2014, 07:14
A few young guns with less than 500 hours have just been employed by FZ after paying for a 73 type rating. There was no guarantee of employment, but there was potential if the candidates did well. They did, and were employed. FZ charged US$29 000 for the type rating.

I have no more details other than these.

Vortex Thing
5th Jul 2014, 16:11
Qualifications

Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities

Job Requirements

• Hold an ICAO ATPL certificate with a valid type rating
• Hold a 1st Class Medical certificate from ICAO
• Hold English to ICAO level 4 or above
• Eligible for a UAE residency visa
• Demonstrate excellent problem solving, CRM and team working skills
• Demonstrate command potential
• Must have good knowledge of ATPL subjects
• Ability to perform to a high standard when under stress
• Must have flown desired aircraft within the last 24 months

In Addition to the above:
Type rated pilots must meet the below requirements

• B737-300 to 900 (NG/EFIS) endorsed within the last 24 months
• At least 1,500 hours total flying time
• At least 500 hours on B737-300 to 900 (NG/EFIS) type aircraft

Education and Experience

• University degree is preferable
• High school diploma is essential
• International aviation experience

Scott,

No they are not desperate but even if they were they would not move one dot on the requirements as that is the way that recruitment roll, full stop. As for leniant, FZ is many things to many pilots but leniant or flexible is not one of those things.

So you need 2 things, first you absolutely need 1500hrs TT. This is not a flexibility issue this is an insurance and GCAA issue mainly. You also need an ATPL this is also not a flexibility issue. However the good news is that if you have 900hrs on type and 1200hrs TT you only have to go and get another 300 hrs to be qualified to unfreeze your ATPL and meet the requirements! The 300 hrs can be on anything.

It doesnt matter where or how you fly the hours just find a way, if you are an FI even easier if not then consider becoming one and flying the hours that way. Or go abroad or just find a way. At your level of experience you need the airline more than it needs you so you have to get the hours somehow if you want the job.

Everyone here got the hours somehow, so don't be disheartened just find a solution to getting the hours. If you want it enough you will find a way. Just check out Africa, china, Turkey, et al. Its not fun working in some of these places, in fact its often downright dangerous and perhaps you wont enjoy it but it is a means to an end to get to here.

Good luck.
VT

NotsoEZY
7th Jul 2014, 13:17
Booking a standby ticket in business does not advance you over EK employees are are listed in economy....they will always take EK staff before any other company.

High Energy
7th Jul 2014, 13:33
Looks like more flights to SLL are likely.
Link (https://www.zawya.com/story/Airlines_may_increase_flights_reduce_fares_to_meet_Khareef_s eason_tourist_demand-ZAWYA20140707074231/)

ManaAdaSystem
7th Jul 2014, 15:38
While performing the duties of this job, the Captain will be operating in the cockpit environment for extended periods of time. They are required to have an airside pass and it is a requirement to have a good knowledge of the hazards the airside environment presents. He/she will also be operating the aircraft in temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius and as high as 50 degree Celsius and will be required to fly at anytime during a 24 hour period subject to GCAA flight time limitations. There are multiple hazards when operating aircraft and the employee will be required to take all steps necessary to mitigate those hazards as far as possible.

The employee may be required to operate in environments and countries designated at war zones.

SLL is not the worst place to go.

Kabul 1
8th Jul 2014, 04:32
Dear ManaAdaSystem,
Is it in your contract?
Tks

While performing the duties of this job, the Captain will be operating in the cockpit environment for extended periods of time. They are required to have an airside pass and it is a requirement to have a good knowledge of the hazards the airside environment presents. He/she will also be operating the aircraft in temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius and as high as 50 degree Celsius and will be required to fly at anytime during a 24 hour period subject to GCAA flight time limitations. There are multiple hazards when operating aircraft and the employee will be required to take all steps necessary to mitigate those hazards as far as possible.

The employee may be required to operate in environments and countries designated at war zones.

A6FDB
8th Jul 2014, 05:07
Booking a J class ticket will always give you priority of EK economy standby. Emirates policy does not allow them to upgrade people so they can get a space in economy. But if there is no room in J class and you get downgraded then they take priority in economy class over you.

Our staff travel isn't great but don't make it sound worse than it actually is.

ManaAdaSystem
8th Jul 2014, 07:23
Dear ManaAdaSystem,
Is it in your contract?

No, but it is the last thing you have to read before you apply on their website.

Old King Coal
8th Jul 2014, 08:22
Subject to purchasing of a suitable ticket for the relevant Class:

EK Captains are entitled to First Class standby travel on EK.
EK F/O's are entitled to Business Class standby travel on EK.
EK CabinCrew are entitled to Economy Class standby travel on EK.

FZ Captains & F/Os are entitled to Business Class standby travel on EK.
FZ CabinCrew are entitled to Economy Class standby travel on EK

If there is competition for seats in a particular Class, the EK staff member will always take priority over someone from FZ... and it doesn't matter how long the FZ staff member has worked at FZ or their rank therein. E.g. you could be a +5 year Captain within FZ, but when it comes to getting onboard an EK flight (using a standby ticket), an EK F/O (whom perhaps might have been at EK only 6 months) will always get priority.

EK also have a policy of 'no-upgrades'. So if an FZ employee buys a EK standby ticket for travel in Economy Class, but Economy Class then turns out to be full, they will not be upgraded into Business Class, even if Business Class is completely empty.
Conversely, if you have a Business Class standby ticket, but Business Class turns out to be full, but there are seats available in Economy Class, then EK will downgrade you into Economy Class, and you can latterly claim back (online, using EK's reservation system) the difference between the standby ticket price of the two classes. That said, if there is an EK and FZ staff member both on standby for Business Class, but that class is full, and there is only one seat available in Economy Class, the EK staff member will get priority (see the rule above).

Furthermore, EK's travel concession (for their staff) is such that an EK employee can literally walk up to an EK ticket desk and get a standby ticket on the spot.
This, however, is not the case for FZ staff, wherein for an FZ employee to travel on standby with EK, requires that they fill in a form, get it countersigned / approved by every Tom, Dick, and Harriet in FZ HQ, then go to Staff Services (also in FZ HQ, remembering that office hours apply), get them to issue the EK ticket, then you can travel standby on EK, assuming you can get on... it's best to allow several days for this ticket issuing process.

EK staff also get access to handy little app that shows them, in real time, what are the loads on various EK flights, i.e. so that they can gauge the likelihood of being able to get onboard if using a standby ticket. FZ have no such access to that app.

To be honest, its been years since I made use of FZ's arrangement to travel on standby with EK, 'coz being the lowest of the low in terms of standby priority, tends to up the ante on the old stress level and thus, these days, if I want to go anywhere I just buy a full fare ticket, 'coz then I know I'm definitely going and I don't have to jump through any of FZ's hoops to do so! :ok:

High Energy
8th Jul 2014, 17:34
flydubai is first airline in the Gulf to use a Windows 8 App for passenger check-in.

Link (http://www.zawya.com/mobile/default.cfm/actstory/sidZAWYA20140708080637)

Just teach them : Ctrl-Alt-Delete... ;-)

pole shift
8th Jul 2014, 18:22
It will be extreamely handy for our Chittagong and Dhaka passengers :}

Ali Ronn
9th Jul 2014, 08:38
As usual OKC, your report on EK staff travel is absolutely accurate.

Unfortunately however, it does not quite reflect the reality of the situation on the ground! To wit, having arrived at the staff check in area T3 clutching the precious J class sub load pass in my sweaty paw, I was informed by the agent with an apologetic smile that there was only one seat in J class and one seat in Y class available and I was unlikely to be accepted on the flight as there were two EK Y class staff travel already waiting. It isn't the check in staff that decide who travels, but a faceless minion from EK. At T-60, as if by magic there were 0 seats in J class and 2 seats in Y class and yours truly remained firmly on the ground. The check in agent proved helpful in re-listing me to another destination (also not allowed for none EK staff according to 'the rules') but made it clear that in his experience none EK staff were unlikely to travel ahead of EK staff in any circumstances. Also, in the scenario where business class is full, none EK staff holding a J sub load ticket do NOT take priority over an EK staff member holding a Y sub load ticket where this is competition for remaining seats. I hope this makes it clear for the would be travellers, spending more then double their hard earned dirhams on a J class perch, that they have not bought a higher priority when it comes to getting on that busy flight...

High Energy
10th Jul 2014, 04:24
Emirates to drop Kiev already after 7 months of service.
Link (http://gulfbusiness.com/2014/07/emirates-drop-kiev-flights/#.U74UwngazTo)

gehenna
10th Jul 2014, 05:32
I believe the procedure is that if, say, there are a couple of EK staff with Y class sub-load tickets and only 1 seat available, a commercial passenger will be upgraded (subject to seats available of course) to a higher class, such as J in this case. This would then free up a second seat for the staff member to travel in Y. I would have hoped they do this also for our FZ colleagues, but ......?

andypilot101
12th Jul 2014, 15:43
Anyone going to the CTC interview 18th July? and any advice from those who have been there already?
Cheers

FlyingTinCans
14th Jul 2014, 13:21
Airbus launch the A330neo at Farnborough today, first deliveries in 2017.

Management have openly said the 787 is too expensive for FZ, but the A330neo is cheaper to buy, to run, quicker delivery times, and access to a large airbus maintenance facility on site.

We love a good long haul rumour at FZ, could this be the aircraft FZ have been waiting for?

dubaigong
14th Jul 2014, 14:15
Who said that Flydubai has been waiting for a long haul aircraft ?

Except the pilots that were not or are not able to join EK and are dreaming of Flydubai getting long haul to have a chance to fly it , I don't see anyone else...

Keep dreaming then...

FlyingTinCans
14th Jul 2014, 15:03
Been there, done that. I'm just excited at the possibility to see a load of guys leave the 737 seniority list to be honest.

dubaigoing, just to make sure you are aware, this is a rumour network, Long Haul at FZ has been a rumour for a long time now, where have you been?

dubaigong
14th Jul 2014, 17:17
I know that we are not best friends and don't usually agree but take a few minutes to check the definition of the word rumour.

It should be based on a real information or at least a part of it and when a rumour like this one is around for almost 5 years and nothing can be seen to confirm it , according to me it should be called a wish or a fantasy but surely not a rumour or a false rumour if you wish...

Non rev
15th Jul 2014, 04:57
FlyDubai assessment is going to be held in Phoenix, Arizona. Anyone has an invite yet? Also, what is FlyDubai's stance on pilot's they have rejected in past?

Thanks in advance.

:suspect:

LNAV737
15th Jul 2014, 07:36
They've just announced an order of 60 ....787's deliveries will start tomorrow.10 airplanes per month in the next 6 months ! Well done Flydubai :ok::ok::D

High Energy
15th Jul 2014, 07:44
I like it! Someone's stirring the pot. :ok:

High Energy
16th Jul 2014, 10:52
Like I said in reply #2527, Zagreb and Sarajevo are now officially confirmed.
All details incl the schedules here:
Link (https://www.zawya.com/story/New_routes_and_new_aircraft_fuel_flydubais_growth-ZAWYA20140716094812/)

Zagreb is a 12:30 return trip. If I'm correct that is just 15 minutes short of the max FDP. Sarajevo is 30 minutes short of max FDP. Turnaround at Zagreb is only 45 minutes. (Sarajevo is 50') Interesting...but I like it!

Planned flight time to Zagreb 6:20hrs!

7Q Off
16th Jul 2014, 14:28
How many hs you can fly with 2 pilots?

Old King Coal
16th Jul 2014, 15:28
7Q Off: With 2 pilots, starting within a certain morning time band, and if only 2 sectors are operated, the maximum Allowable 'Flight Duty Period' (FDP) is 13:15.

Ones FDP starts at the rostered report time (which, in FZ's case, is 1 hour prior to the Scheduled Departure Time of the first sector), and then includes all of the hours up until the point when the brakes are set & engines switched off, at the end of the last sector.

Entirely subject to 'Commanders Discretion', the Allowable FDP can be increased to allow for 'unforeseen circumstances'.... i.e. utilisation of Commanders Discretion cannot be part of the normal route scheduling exercise.

The maximum allowable amount of Commanders Discretion is 3 hours, i.e. on top of the Allowable FDP. That said, this is subject to a number of provisos:

In order to exercise 'Commanders Discretion', the Commander needs to take account of the circumstances (the physical & mental fitness) of his crew to ensure that they are fit to continue operating safely.
Up to 2 hours of Commanders Discretion can be exercised (even prior to leaving Base) so long as it is followed up with a report to the company as to why Discretion was needed.
Utilising more than 2 hours of a Commanders Discretion requires that the Commanders report is also sent to the GCAA.
Woe betide any Commander that exceeds 3 hours of Commanders Discretion... the only exception to that being if one is in a 'life & death' situation.

In a previous life, it was ostensibly the case that if a series of flights (typically 3 in a row) to a particular destination required the use of Commanders Discretion, the Regulator (e.g. the CAA) would require that the crewing of that route was reviewed / changed, which might include adding supplementary crew members (which influences the Allowable FDP), and / or maybe involving HOTAC'ing of the crew down route, and / or maybe the use of something known as a 'Level II Variation' (which can extend the normal Allowable FDP by 1 hour, subject to certain provisos).

Against the jet stream in the winter, and with often crap weather at the destination (and alternates), imho, these flights look very likely to go into Commanders Discretion, with all that that entails,... and always assuming that the Commanders consent to utilising it ?! :E

NinER fIveR
16th Jul 2014, 17:42
If I'm reading these correctly, Zagreb reports at 0840 and returns at 2210 which is a FDP of 13:30 (exceeding FDP limit by 15 mins) and Sarajevo reports at 0845 and returns at 2200 which is a FDP of 13:15 (exactly on the limit).

These flights are already scheduled to exceed a standard 2 man crew turnaround :=

7Q Off
16th Jul 2014, 17:49
Thanks old king, just curious how things are done in the desert. Where I fly we have 13 hs FDP, and I can extend that time 20% more at captains discretion, but with 2 pilots we only can fly only 8 hs, after that we need 3 guys where FDP is also increased.

Best wishes.

Old King Coal
16th Jul 2014, 18:08
NinER fIveR: Well spotted !

In order to extend the Allowable FDP to the extent that it can encompass the proposed schedule times for the route, one suspects that those flights will have to be operated with either 3 or 4 pilots - which FZ already does do on some routes - and which (for a Zagreb) would allow an additional 1:20 minutes with 3 pilots, OR an additional 1:58 with 4 pilots.... wherein the additional pilots will have to take their 'rest' in a Business Class seat (which, with 3 pilots, requires that the adjacent business class seat also blocked-off for use by pax, but that with 4 pilots they can sit side-by-side on another) and, with 3 crew, it necessarily requires that the extra crew member be a Captain (whom is also right-hand-seat qualified).

See Ops Manual / Part A / Section 7.6.1.

High Energy
16th Jul 2014, 18:36
@ 9/5er, Spot on. Guess I have to start drinking after tea time iso before. Or get my maths skills up. You pick. :ok:

LNAV737
17th Jul 2014, 07:17
Well i hardly wait for the winter ops to start with those lovely turn arounds ...hahaha.So many disruption will occur ....haha what's next ? Lisbon turn around ?

asteroid02
17th Jul 2014, 18:02
Sad to hear the news that a 777 operated by Malaysian Airline System, Flight number MH17, was shot down near waypoint TAMAK on the Ukraine -Rostov FIR boundary at circa 1415z today.

This follows the recent tit for tat shooting down of two military types in the same region - AN26 on Monday and a SU25 yesterday.

asteroid02
17th Jul 2014, 18:27
And meanwhile, today there was an RPG and assault rife attack on Kabul airport.

(Reuters) - Militants armed with rocket-propelled grenades attacked Kabul International Airport in the Afghan capital on Thursday in one of the most audacious assaults on the facility, used by both civilians and the military, in a year.
The attack lasted about four hours.............Militants fire rockets into the airport almost every week...........

Perhaps we will fly to Tripoli next.....

pole shift
17th Jul 2014, 20:26
There will be a statement soon by the security department, after carefully assessing the situation, and after our secret intelligence contacts in the affected areas, gather all information from their undisclosed sources.
In the mean time and until the rebels, the insurgents, and the Jihadists end their good cause struggle, we can all take our chances and operate on our next Ukrainian, Afghani, Yemeni, Pakistani, South Sudanese, and Iraqi, Kurdish or Caliphate flights.
May God bless and protect.
Good night and good luck.

Mrglass
18th Jul 2014, 05:52
RE: Shot-Down Malaysia Flight

Air Arabia suspends Kiev...

Flydubai still doing it's thing in: Kiev, Kharkiv and...Donetsk.

Crashed right next to Donetsk:
Graphic: Malaysian plane crashed in Ukraine was headed home - chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-graphic-malaysia-plane-crash-ukraine-20140717,0,1790284.htmlstory)

Air Arabia suspends Kiev flights, Flydubai operating 'to schedule' | GulfNews.com (http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/air-arabia-suspends-kiev-flights-flydubai-operating-to-schedule-1.1361189)

LostinT2DXB
18th Jul 2014, 06:41
Not true. Today's flight to IEV was cx'd. Now tomorrow's flight, that's anyone's guess :confused:

Mrglass
18th Jul 2014, 06:55
Agreed, Tomorrow will probably involve a few sly re-routes and FZ will be back in business!

MOONSHINEBANDIT
18th Jul 2014, 10:03
It makes FZ management look like a joke......ops, safety officer, chief pilot, coo, ceo etc must all be aware of the troubles in ukraine but did nothing to address the safety of their aircraft!

dubaigong
18th Jul 2014, 11:29
What amazes me the most , and this is valid for EK FZ and all the like flying to some of the war zone where other companies will not go for obvious safety concerns , is the fact that a few of their pilots are here to say what they think about the management "team" of those airlines but when it comes to act what are these guys doing.
The "bravest" do call sick to avoid to fly there but then another pilot on stand by will have to fly instead of him/her to that place.

Tell me why with the hundred or even the thousand of pilots in those companies instead of reacting here don't go and tell their company they they will not operate those flight ?
They can not lay out a big number of pilots , they can not afford it.
So take your responsibility and don' t operate those flights , if not it means that you agree with them that the risk is remote and then don't jump on this website when it finally happen....

bradders147
18th Jul 2014, 12:32
Have you not seen what happens with the labor workers out here if they put down their tools when working for a government company the UAE sees this as a strike. The same is pilots for EK,FZ,and the unmentionable. Striking in the UAE is illegal, Fact. They have the right to arrest you and lock you up if you refuse to fly. I don't agree with that at all but it's the situation we are in.

Correct me if I'm wrong

dubaigong
18th Jul 2014, 13:19
You are mixing everything all together...
First without disrespect for the workers here , you can not compare them with airlines pilots.
These poor guys can barely read , have no education and are coming from third world countries have their passport confiscated and park in the middle of the desert and as far as I know most of the pilots here are coming from Europe , USA , Australia etc... with a good level of education have their passport with them and live in nice villas.

Second , who is talking about a strike , you can refuse to fly to some destinations but accept to fly to all the other ones , this for me is not called a strike.

Third , as I said before if only 2 or 3 pilots refuse than they could be in trouble but if the majority stick together , do you think that they will put all of them in jail !!!
I doubt it , it would be a very bad publicity for an airline that try to dominate the aviation world.

busykill
18th Jul 2014, 16:35
are there any car rental companies that do a rate for fz pilots?

High Energy
18th Jul 2014, 16:42
Try Dollar car rental.

MOONSHINEBANDIT
18th Jul 2014, 18:20
Dubaigong, time and time again management tell us that situations are monitored on a daily basis. I trusted their efforts and judgement but this clearly proves they are hopelessly out of their depth. I will never trust FZ management again.
Its almost as if the monitoring program has been implemented so that management can fly a route and then, after a disaster, claim due diligence by saying "But we had implemented an action plan to identify and monitior this hot spot". That makes it ok for the CEO, COO who will be blameless!

dubaigong
19th Jul 2014, 04:28
MOONSHINEBANDIT

I think you have missed my point...
I don't say that I trust or that you have to trust FZ management.
Now that you claim that you are not trusting them , will you stop flying to these dangerous destinations ???
My point is that the fact that you claim on this website that FZ management should not be trusted will not change anything until you and FZ fellow pilots stand up and tell them that from today they will refuse to fly to those destinations for safety reasons.

skysod
19th Jul 2014, 13:46
"Flight Radar" showed FZ5728 departing IEV this afternoon, so I guess nothing's changed as far as FZ is concerned!

Old King Coal
19th Jul 2014, 15:50
skysod: here's the route of today's FDB5728... seemingly, and hopefully, well clear of any hotspots.

http://tinyurl.com/ox53lba

spanishfly69
19th Jul 2014, 15:59
O K, How long was the flight time? how many crews?

skysod
19th Jul 2014, 16:33
Fair enough...am happy to fly that route.......still astonished that there has been nothing official from the company......the silence is deafening!!

High Energy
19th Jul 2014, 16:37
Outbound 05:23, inbound 05:03. Should be able to operate that with a standard crew config. (13 1/4hrs FDP allowed)

Ethiopia
20th Jul 2014, 07:22
flydubai continues expansion (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/middle-east/item/1237-flydubai-continues-expansion)

High Energy
20th Jul 2014, 07:58
See reply #2592. Been discussed already.

Raropilot
21st Jul 2014, 03:03
Is the interview round for non-type rated pilots in Hamilton, NZ still happening? :cool:

If it aint Boeing
21st Jul 2014, 12:30
Raropilot,

I just spoke to my mate there. I posted in the pacific GA forum.

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions-91/)

High Energy
23rd Jul 2014, 09:39
Mumbai added to the network, 5 times a week. Delhi now increased to 5 times a week too.

Link (http://www.zawya.com/story/Mumbai_joins_flydubais_growing_network-ZAWYA20140723085039/)

Voodoo 3
23rd Jul 2014, 14:20
Another shocking night turn to add to every other India route we do.:ugh:
Ah well that one won't be making an appearance on my bid sheet (just like all the others)!!

despegue
23rd Jul 2014, 21:52
Are FZ crews doing any nightstops nowadays?

With the new Business class, are FZ Captains and family allowed ID tickets in C?

Current average Captains salary for new-joiners? There are many variations circulating the net...

Thanks,

D.

LostinT2DXB
23rd Jul 2014, 22:07
Only night stops are in DAC and CMB.

Crew sitting in Business class :} our illustrious HR department refuses to update the staff travel policy to allow any flight crew the chance to purchase C or even be upgraded at the gate. The rumor is that it's another case of the "we're all equal" communist hag trying to get her cronies into the forward part of the cabin and not just the flight crews as it is at EK. This issue should handled like at every other real airline, award the open seats in seniority order by date of joining.

SAABGUY
25th Jul 2014, 12:22
G'day all
I just got an email inviting me to come to the UK assessment on the 14th of august.
Does anyone know anything about the selection process?
Has anyone done it already?
Is it some pipe dream scam or is this a good opportunity?
Personally I think it is, but I would appreciate feedback from anyone in the know.
Cheers!

High Energy
25th Jul 2014, 14:48
Found this pretty standard interview but there were a few lines in there I have not seen before.

I’m sure we will require even more, because it’s a stepping stone. (about more 737's on top of 50 & 111 order)

and

...or unless you get a bigger aircraft and we’re not getting bigger aircraft.

Link (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/interview-flydubai-s-ceo-ghaith-al-ghaith-558852.html?page=3#.U9JtrmIaySM) Dated 23rd July 2014

jetstreem
3rd Aug 2014, 12:21
We're off to Iran people!

flydubai announces plans to launch first Iran flights - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/flydubai-announces-plans-launch-first-iran-flights-559905.html)

It was only a matter of time. Im actually surprised it took this long. Seeing as we fly over it so much. Given the number of Iranians in the UAE, should be good business too.

High Energy
13th Aug 2014, 08:56
Kigali, Rwanda, might be announced soon.
Link (http://allafrica.com/stories/201408130175.html)

According to Masozera, more airlines have expressed interest in operating flights to and from of Kigali, including Fly Dubai, a low-cost airline expected to start its flights soon.

Kigali is only a few miles short of our longest sector, Zagreb, so expect this to be a day return too.

flydream1982
16th Aug 2014, 02:17
Flydubai contacted me 2 days after the sim. That was quick...

flydream1982
16th Aug 2014, 03:13
Nope, I passed the assessment in Southampton. The sim (2nd day) was on a Friday morning, got the good news Friday evening through the CTC website, and Flydubai sent me an email (for the final interview in DXB) the following Sunday (or Monday, can't remember).
But if you didn't do the selection in the UK, then the process is probably different...
Just so you know, it took them 2 weeks to get back to me after the final interview in DXB.

Hailstop3
19th Aug 2014, 09:16
any non rated FO applicants for the New Zealand assessments get an email to say come over for an interview? Just wondering what sort of experience they are looking for and if I am actually competitive and when they are doing the assessments. cheers

10checks
23rd Aug 2014, 19:09
Hi guys, can anyone explain what it is currently like to work for Flydubai?

what are the staff travel options for travelling back to the EU. And is there a limit id staff travel is available? Also what is the roster like? I'm a 738 rated pilot! Many thanks

jetstreem
24th Aug 2014, 05:51
All of that information is here in the thread. Just read back and do your homework. All 132 pages of it.

LostinT2DXB
24th Aug 2014, 07:32
Hi 10,

If you can get past not being able to find a place to park your car when you get to the airport, it's not too bad here overall!

Seriously though, it's a job where you can show up, fly, and if you don't screw up, just go home and enjoy your life. Management does not make a point of bothering pilots on their days off like other carriers in the ME.

Staff travel is avail after 6 months on the job. Options are limited to only flydubai and EK. EK you can buy standby business, standby Econ, and firm Econ. The standby tickets are priced like ZED tickets, priced by zones. Firm Econ is more like an ID50.

Rosters at flydubai are awarded by seniority through a PBS bidding system. At the current rate of hiring, you will fly the leftover crap (mostly nights, conflict areas, and double sectors)your first six months here and then the roster will get much better over the following 12 months. Its not to say you won't have any day flights, but when you bid you will have to make some decisions on where or when you would prefer to fly. Usually after about 18 months you start thinking about applying for the command program, however if your roster is something you enjoy some have started delaying command. One thing to highlight with FZs seniority system is that once you are hired that is your position on the master seniority list. Any DEC hired after you will always be junior to you once you become a Captain.

Those are the highlights, read through previous posts for more detail.

etrusco91
24th Aug 2014, 09:42
Could anyone conferm that assessment is done previous payment at ctc of Southampton?
Thank you

flydream1982
24th Aug 2014, 14:15
Staff travel is avail after 6 months on the job. Options are limited to only flydubai and EK. EK you can buy standby business, standby Econ, and firm Econ. The standby tickets are priced like ZED tickets, priced by zones. Firm Econ is more like an ID50.

I would guess that in theory firm economy is supposed to be "firm", but do you really have a better priority than an EK employee travelling stand-by on an EK flight?

LostinT2DXB
24th Aug 2014, 14:28
Hi dream,

As stupefying as this sounds, there are different levels of "firm" economy as was explained by someone at staff travel FZ. I'm probably going to repeat this incorrectly but here is what I remember. If you book at the right time, you can actually purchase a firm seat at an ID 50 price on EK. This is what most of us think of as a firm seat, meaning it's your seat and you will be on that flight. If that category of seat is fully booked or not available (usually the case:=), then you travel at a lower status of "firm" seat, meaning a higher priority than standby economy, but still wait listed. If someone knows better please chime in, however I just buy firm tickets 90% of the time I travel as I don't want to be bothered any more with the waiting for the last seat and then running from the staff travel office at T3 to the last gate in the A concourse :ugh: As you suggested though, EK staff will find ways to help other EK staff before they even consider putting an FZ employee on the plane:ouch:

flydream1982
24th Aug 2014, 17:17
Thanks for the explanation!

Raropilot
24th Aug 2014, 19:25
Likelihood of this happening ? ? Do you think that perhaps they're waiting for more applications before running one here?:confused:

simba82
28th Aug 2014, 05:27
The first indication of Fly Dubai eyeing flights to Uganda came to light when Air Uganda’s Travel Centre changed hands, reportedly with a little help from a senior member of the Air Uganda board, itself an interesting pointer to the future of U7, or rather the non-future considering that their prime sales premises are now gone. There is added speculation from sources at Entebbe International Airport that at least some of Air Uganda’s airport offices might also go to Fly Dubai, affirming earlier mention of this possibility in one of the articles written over the past weeks about Air Uganda’s gutting by the Uganda Civil Aviation Authority, which is notably also the main manager of the airport.

Fly Dubai, one of the Gulf’s leading low cost carriers, has in the recent past relatively slowly advanced into Africa and travelers from Uganda will no doubt take immediate advantage of their very low fares, giving the other full service Gulf carriers like Emirates and Qatar Airways a run for their money.

While owned by the government of Dubai is the airline notably not part of the Emirates Group but a standalone business enterprise. Launched in 2008 and commencing flights in mid 2009 with a single B737-800NG has the fleet now grown to 38 aircraft, with large orders still pending, and flies to 68 destinations. Late last year was Fly Dubai among the first LCC’s to introduce a dedicated business class cabin to cater for a growing number of frequent flyers who had asked for better comfort levels on the airline’s flights. A preview into the future of Fly Dubai should be possible by looking at their order placed with Boeing during last November’s Dubai Air Show when the carrier signed for up to 100 next generation B737MAX as well as a further 11 B737-800NG’s.

Fly Dubai, with IATA two letter code of FZ and their callsign Sky Dubai, presently already serves Africa with flights to Addis Ababa, to Juba, to Khartoum and Port Sudan apart from several destinations in Egypt but it was long expected that a further rollout into the lucrative East African travel market was only a matter of time, on one side depending on new aircraft deliveries where the airline flies a uniform fleet of B737-800NG’s and on the other depending on the projections of market shares and passenger numbers, considering that rival Air Arabia already flies daily to Nairobi.

While other airline were understandably reluctant to discuss the arrival of yet another competitor, so were individuals thought to be joining Fly Dubai at Entebbe and in their town office, perhaps trying to prevent the jumpstart of telling the news ahead of Fly Dubai’s own PR and Corporate Communications Department being able to tell their story. Well, now that everyone reading this will know it will only be a matter of time before the airline will issue an official statement and confirm the number of flights, arrival and departure times and most importantly their launch fares.

High Energy
28th Aug 2014, 10:43
That didn't take long.

3 New East Africa destinations. With the launch of fights in September 2014 to Bujumbura in Burundi, Entebbe in Uganda and Kigali in Rwanda, Surprised Nairobi isn't one of them.

Bujumbura and Kigali will be served through Entebbe. That is for sure a new nightstop destination.

Link (http://www.albawaba.com/business/pr/flydubai-new-routes-599866)

On a sidenote, late SEP also shows a overnight return to Goa. (2255-0815) Although it's a 4 digit flightnumber so might only be a few flights iso scheduled.

High Energy
28th Aug 2014, 12:49
Looks like 2 day returns and the rest (2x BJM AND 3x KGL) are nightstops. But don't quote me.

simba82
28th Aug 2014, 18:26
Dont think Nairobi will be in the Radar as EK has two flights a day out of there

Iver
28th Aug 2014, 21:37
Sounds like an interesting change of pace from the frequent desert destinations...

dubaigong
29th Aug 2014, 06:43
Do you have a problem with the desert destination ?

On top of that if you take a second to look at all the FZ destinations on their website you will see that they have already plenty of non desert destinations.
As far as I know Belgrade , Istanbul , Skopje , Addis Ababa , Almaty , Ashgabat , Baku , Bishkek , Bucharest , Colombo , Chittagong , Dushanbe , Hyderabad , Juba , Kathmandu , Kazan , Kharkiv , Kiev , Kochi , Krasnodar , Lucknow , Male , Mattala , Mineralnye , Odessa , Osh , Rostov on Don , Samara , Sarajevo , Shymkent , Tbilisi , Ufa , Volgograd , Yekaterinburg , Yerevan , Zagreb etc... are not really desert destination :ok:

what-to-do
29th Aug 2014, 09:38
I don't see how mentioning frequent 'desert destinations' in any way implies that there is an issue.

Furthermore, Flydubai does actually have frequent flights to destinations considered to be in the 'desert'.

I really don't think the post in any way implies that Flydubai doesn't have any destinations outside of the GCC. It's just a very simple statement, which to be fair, is quite accurate.

LostinT2DXB
29th Aug 2014, 12:30
However, most of the "non-desert" destinations ain't exactly a collection of "garden spots" either :}

NinER fIveR
29th Aug 2014, 22:10
"In addition to operating between Dubai and these three new cities, flydubai has obtained the rights to carry passengers between Uganda and Burundi."

Fun Fact #1: the Ugandan CAA (under pressure from ICAO) has recently suspended every airline in Uganda due to safety concerns :=

Fun Fact #2: flydubai's 737-800s have the range to fly non-stop from EBB to any point in Africa, and can even manage a single crew turnaround to most of those destinations :D

gear up job
30th Aug 2014, 02:05
Nairobi base will be challenging for FZ to enter. Kenyan govt is very protective of Kenya Airways as such foreign carriers have it tough and rough entering the Kenyan market.

Even if FZ manages to have a sort of agreement with the kenya govt, i doubt they will be able to overcome KCAA red-tapes.

Case example Fastjet have been trying in yrs to enter the Kenyan market without much success until yesterday when fastjet was incorporated into a company in Kenya through a Kenyan national who now owns 51% of fastjet Kenya franchise.

That's how you do business in that part of the world.

simba82
31st Aug 2014, 02:10
Well if thats the case then the UAE Gov will probably impose visa restrictions for Kenyans travelling to the UAE like last year whereby Any Kenyan wanting to go there needed to have a University Degree if they were to get a visa.:ok:

Shooting_Star
5th Sep 2014, 14:46
Anyone has an idea how long it takes these days to get a reply from them and how long it takes to being invited for an interview. B737 TR and Southampton interview location ?

Thank you!

dum dum pacheco
5th Sep 2014, 14:51
Did you apply vía CTC or just in flydubai website?

Shooting_Star
5th Sep 2014, 15:25
Well I was wondering how long after you apply you can expect a reply and be invited possibly for an interview? Through the fz website. Thank you!

dum dum pacheco
5th Sep 2014, 15:36
I know that with CTC can take days months or never. But via flydubai web I just dont know...

ABBOT
15th Sep 2014, 17:12
Bidding just opened, cautionary note on the advisory e-mail that now summer is over, things may not be quite as they were previously.

Old King Coal
15th Sep 2014, 18:42
Phwww phwww phwww. Click click click click click click click. Scribble scribble scribble….<— Sound of Logbook’s being dusted off. Hours being calculated. CV’s being updated.

Judging by the number of recent requests for advice about how to convert long since used JAR licenses into their metamorphosed EASA counterparts, one's tempted to hazard a guess that something of an exodus might be on the horizon,... we live in interesting times! ;)

ABBOT
16th Sep 2014, 15:40
Agree with that OKC, had quite a few advice requests myself, as well as calls for references.

whossorrynow
16th Sep 2014, 16:47
So what's up?

Last week an FZ Captain posted this on another thread.

Pilots basically choose their next job based on the following (and each individual will list them in different priorities):

More Money
Quicker time to command
More Security
Better lifestyle
Better looking cabin crew

Now if EK didn't tick any of them for you then why the hell did you come here?!

Again, I'm not EK, but my ME airline ticks all of them boxes for me, except the last one which my wife is happy about.

So please explain to me how I've made the wrong choice and why I'm in denial? (not that I actually care what you think anyway, but I think other posters would like to hear).

Has it gone from so good to so bad in just 9 days?

Vortac1
16th Sep 2014, 18:09
Keep in mind, those bullet points he lists in his post are completely subjective, not inaccurate, just subjective.

Those items will be better or worse for you personally depending what you compare them to. If you are coming from an airline or from past times where the standards on those items were pretty low, then you are going to love FD. It also works the other way.

I miss RandyBMC's objective posts. Those were definitely a good read.

Now, if there's some inside info that hasnt surface but only to a few of the users around here, then Id love to hear it! :)

High Energy
17th Sep 2014, 06:33
Hypothetically speaking here, but could we see a 'base' from Kuwait happen? Or flights from KWI to destinations other than Dubai?

Why? Gulf Air is launching KWI-IST flights so could there be a market for us?
Link (http://www.routes-news.com/news/1-news/2867-kuwait-istanbul-route-takes-off-for-gulf-air)

NatFatCat
21st Sep 2014, 07:58
Hello All

Is fly dubai doing assessments in UAE?
How many first officers do they need in the coming months.
I am a 737-400 pilot , what are my chances?
Is it true that non type rated pilots are paying FlyDubai for
the type rating?

Help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Cheers.:O

teamflyer
21st Sep 2014, 20:12
new to the forums, but curious to know if FD would look at q400 pilots... i.e. would they hire a Q400 FO?

here are some quals: 3000TT, 1000MPIC/2800turbine (BE02/BE20/DHC8), 2300EFIS

thanks in advance

G SXTY
21st Sep 2014, 20:58
There are plenty of people at FZ who joined straight from the Q400.

Skud Run
21st Sep 2014, 22:02
Hey guys,

I recently went through the process of interviews and was successful, so to answer some of your questions here I go.

TeamFlyer: I have 4000TT on BE02,BE20, ATR42 and got hired so yes as long as you have 1000 on the Q.

SOME Assessments are being done in Dubai as I met a guy that was invited to Dubai for a few days for the assessment. The website does indicate options for elsewhere as well.

How many they need? A few for sure. But it seems they aren't desprate right now as I passed all 4 stages a couple months ago but no start date yet. Told to expect a start date some time in 2015 :sad:

What are the chances? If you are good quality and have command potential, I would say good. But I Started with a group of 8, 2 type rated, I was the only one selected :eek:

And nobody is paying for type ratings. I am NTR and only have to agree to a pro rated bond for 3 Years.

Hope this info was helpful and good luck. :ok:

teamflyer
22nd Sep 2014, 01:33
right on, thank you very much! just wondering do you work at FD?

NatFatCat
27th Sep 2014, 09:52
Thanks a lot Skud Run .. Your so lucky to be selected out of 8 people.
I do not think they are very desperate. They are training 737 Ng or type rated pilots very quickly , may be because you were not type rated and require a full
type rating thats why your waiting for your start date.

I wish you best of luck for your future with Fly Dubai.

Pray for me i am working on my assessment preparations.

Regards.

Aerofoil
29th Sep 2014, 01:04
Am I the only one sat here scratching my head thinking why hasn't anyone mentioned the recent events of a bullet penetrating the fuselage of a flydubai aircraft on approach into Djibouti shooting through a seat pan and up through the hat rack, and also the crew who flew an aircraft into Sanaa (a destination that Emirates stopped flying to as it has become too dangerous) where they were held hostage on arrival by Rebels at gunpoint after they had taken control of the airport?!

...just a passing thought!

rsbessa
29th Sep 2014, 01:46
That's something to be worried about !

:sad:

Vortac1
29th Sep 2014, 06:33
Am I the only one sat here scratching my head thinking why hasn't anyone mentioned the recent events of a bullet penetrating the fuselage of a flydubai aircraft on approach into Djibouti shooting through a seat pan and up through the hat rack, and also the crew who flew an aircraft into Sanaa (a destination that Emirates stopped flying to as it has become too dangerous) where they were held hostage on arrival by Rebels at gunpoint after they had taken control of the airport?!

...just a passing thought!

Jesus man, if you're gonna try to discourage people to go to an airline at least get your facts straight, makes you look like a fool.

Shooting of the airplane on approach was a Pakistani International Airline's jet, into an airport were FD doesn't even fly to. Flights resume after deadly attack on Peshawar airport - Pakistan - DAWN.COM (http://www.dawn.com/news/1114849)

Haven't heard about a hostage situation in Sana'a either. Still trying to find it online tho...

Don't get me wrong, FD does fly to some hairy places, but when you're trying to build a case against an airline in order to scare people away, the least you can do is not make stuff up.

Old King Coal
29th Sep 2014, 07:34
Vortac1: One of flydubai's aircraft did indeed have a hole shot into it, when it was parked on the ramp in Djibouti, as the result of a disgruntled member of Djibouti's Presidential Security Team loosing off a few shots in the direction of a member of the Presidents team (some sort of feud between the two of them) and, as a result, one bullet pierced the cabin and lodged itself inside one of the overhead luggage bins.

The recent Sanna incident came about when a group of armed rebels / freedom fighters (take your pick?!), travelling in a number of pick-up trucks, invaded the airport, then used their vehicles to block the front of the aircraft. They then entered the aircraft and searched for any Yemeni government officials whom might have been attempting to leave the Yemen. Very fortunately, none of the crew were either kidnapped or harmed and the aircraft latterly returned to Dubai without further incident.

Vortac1
29th Sep 2014, 07:39
I stand corrected about the Sana'a issue. Just came back from leave and just saw the memo. ;)

Yup, I was aware of the airplane with the bullet hole from the "lost" bullet. But it wasn't the case mentioned above by aerofoil.

olster
29th Sep 2014, 09:04
oh good it is all really safe then...

Aerofoil
29th Sep 2014, 09:15
Oh what a 'fool' I look �� i'm glad you had YOUR facts right when you came windmilling in there Vortac1! ��

Vortac1
29th Sep 2014, 09:57
Lol! That's funny.

Hold your horses there big boy, I didn't say Sana'a was false, I just stated I didn't know about it and as such I was still looking it up, since I hadn't heard about it.

That doesn't take away from the fact that you pulled a story from a different airline and tagged it to FD to try to build your argument. Yeah, no matter how hard you try on this one, you already looked like a fool.

All I'm saying is, there are many true, factual stories you can use to scare people away from FD, have at it, just don't make stuff up, it's embarrassing...

PrivatePilotDA40NG
29th Sep 2014, 16:47
So hi
I'm 19year old with 250 hours, live in Belgium.
I'm about to sign contract with CAE training center in Dubai for the B737 type qualification program CAE/Flydubai...

details are here:
https://pilot.cae.com/Programs/FlyDubai.aspx

Any advice on how my future will look is really appreciated..
Thanks

latetonite
29th Sep 2014, 16:59
Check your horoscope.

rsbessa
29th Sep 2014, 18:29
ROFL !!!

That was funny...

:}

LNAV VNAV -
29th Sep 2014, 20:53
Let me get my crystal sphere.

Old King Coal
30th Sep 2014, 09:39
The Love Doctor: not so many decades ago, blokes of 'PrivatePilotDA40NG' tender years were old enough to fly Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancaster bombers et al, and accordingly, imho, what you suggest is bollocks. Put PrivatePilotDA40NG in the flight deck with me for a couple of weeks and I'll have him flying a B737 like an ace... it's all out attitude & ability... heck I could probably even turn you (even with your paltry hours) into a consummate jet jockey too?! ;)

High Energy
30th Sep 2014, 16:43
Why do we have to react this way to a fellow colleague asking something that's on his mind? We might not have the right answer or the answer he/she is looking for but a bit of decency goes a long way. It's good he/she's asking around rather than just signing on the dotted line not really knowing what he/she's getting into.

Why should a person with 150 or 250 hours TT not be allowed to sit in the right hand seat of aircraft x, y or z? We all had to start somewhere. It's all about an individual's attitude, personality and professionalisme. And you can't really judge that from a few lines here on Pprune.

@P40NG, make sure you understand what contract you are on. It is very different than the other f/o's. I only heard bits so you're best bet is to get someone on here to respond who knows the ins- and outs.

doubletap
2nd Oct 2014, 08:05
OKC. You, like a number of regulars who 'stalk' this forum, tend to be vacuous, a void that is invariably filled by arrogance & BS. I certainly don't remember there being any 'aces' in FZ whilst I was there, certainly not in the early days when the training positions were filled by people who lacked pedigree & went on to become figureheads of the system. So glad I left. The 737 like the rest of the Boeing stable, are benign to fly. However, with most aircraft in a role, they are more challenging to operate & that is where experience comes in. Many a low hour Spit pilot embedded in the sands off Dungerness bears witness to that!! :=

Sand Driver
7th Oct 2014, 07:23
Hi guys I've just passed the CTC London assessment and I'm now invited to Dubai for the final interview.

As a rated pilot what can I expect from the Dubai Interview ? any technical/atpl question ?

If you've been trough it please let me know here or trough PM.

For CTC applicants the assessment is pretty much as described here, you can PM me if you have any more questions. On my test we where in 8 and I was the only rated one, 5 of us continued to the Simulator from the previous day.

Vortac1
7th Oct 2014, 09:12
Interview in Dubai should be very similar to the one on one you had with CTC in uk. Mostly TAAT questions, why FD, etc. Just make sure you bring all the paperwork they ask for to DXB for the interview, bunch of stuff.

Shooting_Star
7th Oct 2014, 09:35
Sand driver, see pm ;)

Sand Driver
7th Oct 2014, 11:54
I honestly don't know, we didn't exchange contact details.

arcdu
16th Oct 2014, 20:48
Good Morning everybody,

On another thread OKC posted his roster as a very senior Captain at FD.

Would anyone at the bottom of the seniority list (either seat, I expect it works out the same) be prepared to share their rostering experiences, either publically or by PM. At the bottom of the list can you get any of the flights that you bid for? Can you get any weekends off? is it possible to get more than two days off in a row? Is it possible to do any flying which is not either deep night flying or to war zones?

Thanks.

High Energy
17th Oct 2014, 04:23
You'll hear different responses. People say PBS works great and others say the oposite. I tend to find that the last group does not know how to use PBS.

We are currently undercrewed. The fast expansion and lots of dead head flights really puts a strain on the resources. This month, and I suspect coming months too, PBS has given many people strange rosters. Unusual allocated flights and denied requested days off. Fundamentally the system is aimed at allocating work. Since we're undercrewed there is too little room to grand all requests and you end up with unusual dead heads or a 3AM Muscat report.

@arcdu. I'm a mid level f/o. I've got;
85 block hrs
10 Off days (2 single day offs of which 1 has a preceeding day finish at 2AM and a 9PM start the following day)
1 STBY. (I'll consider this a day off due max hours already)
18 flight days

0 requested days off granted. (Now missing family holiday)
2 full night flights (1 requested)
1 night dead head to finish at 11AM
2 starts before 6AM. (1 due swap)
1 two day nightstop trip. (Swap as I like those)
1 finish around 2AM
4 long day flights (3 requested)
1 four sector day. (Usually do 1 of those every 3 months)
Only 5 requested bids were granted. Other 13 flight days are a mystery to me.

Vortac1
17th Oct 2014, 06:48
Just to add to what High Energy posted...

As a junior pilot you will definitely get flights into those war zones, until you're senior enough to avoid them via pbs.

Also, you should be able to get most of your days off in pairs at least. You may end up with a few single days off in your roster, but most should be in pairs.

G SXTY
18th Oct 2014, 07:45
I'm right hand seat, about 1 year in. This month's roster is as below:

80hrs block
9 days off (3 singles and 2 pairs)
1 STBY
3 'rest days' (which are generally 2am finishes with the rest of the day off, and followed by one of the 9 days off)
2 multi-sector days

When I started, the roster was pretty much 'get what you're given', i.e. the duties no-one else wanted. Expect lots of 4 sector days and Kabuls for the first few months.

Within the space of a year though, my roster has improved noticeably. This month I have around 50% of the flights I requested, and no 'challenging' destinations, which suits me perfectly. That said, I am realistic in what I bid for - there's no point in requesting a month of long day flights as I won't get them. It's rare to have a logbook entry with no night flying.

If there's one whinge, it's that I find it almost impossible to get requested days off. For me that's a much bigger lifestyle issue than where I fly to. Overall though, the roster is do-able and the trend is improving.

Flyboy_SG
18th Oct 2014, 08:55
Thanks for the info G60 & HE.:D

What's the current policy and wait time for upgrade? Does the previous time on the NG count or its purely based on seniority?

arcdu
18th Oct 2014, 10:10
Thanks for the answers everyone,

Another question, the guidance FD give says that no leave can be taken for the first six months until the end of the probationary period. As a current type rated applicant I have been told that the training time is fairly minimal, so is this strictly adhered to.

If so potentially it seems that I could be released to the line after about two months or less, then have four months or more of deep night flying etc with no more than two days off in a row to recover at any point.

High Energy
18th Oct 2014, 10:36
@ arcdu. That is indeed the rule. I believe they may assign leave earlier but only IF there are slots available. Usually you'll then be awarded a slot close to the end of your probationary period. We're under crewed so don't keep your hopes up.

@FSG They are desperate for captains and prefer internal upgrades. Lot's of f/o's just simply don't have the TT, Time on type, or meet the sim recurrent requirements. They currently upgrade around 6 f/o's a month IIRC.

For any upgrade, rrated-and-non-rated you'll need;

4000hrs TT
1000hrs 737, minimum 500hrs @ Flydubai
2 Successful LPC/OPC checks with Flydubai
12 months at Flydubai since successful line check.

what-to-do
18th Oct 2014, 14:26
Arcdu,

That's a pretty fair assumption. More specifically, you'll be in that position for the foreseeable future too. Every FO that is in the company today will, at some point, upgrade to left seat and climb above you when it comes to the PBS rostering system.

I'm guessing that we have around 500-600 pilots..... you do the math.

WTD

Voodoo 3
18th Oct 2014, 19:27
Every FO that is in the company today will, at some point, upgrade to left seat

No my friend, no they will not. What they WILL be able to do however is to apply for the upgrade and at that point, if accepted, will begin the process to move to the left hand seat. They will then have to pass the interview, simulator training and checking, line flying under supervision, line checks and only then will they be able to sit in the left seat.

Too many people think that the command here is a given and a right and not something that you earn through hard work and the like. With that sort of attitude, it is plain to see why there have been a number of failures at all stages of the process.

Kefuddle
18th Oct 2014, 19:32
The vast majority of FOs want to upgrade, and the vast majority of those pass and move to the left, so the point being made is solid.

what-to-do
18th Oct 2014, 20:57
Voodoo3,

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I assumed that those reading the post would take it for granted that anyone applying for a command would need to meet FZ standards in order to achieve their goal, as in any company. I didn't expect anyone to post a comment to say as much. :ugh:

You refer to my attitude, really? There is absolutely nothing wrong with my attitude. I have simply made reference to that fact that any DEC that joins tomorrow, will "POTENTIALLY" be in a position whereby, all the FOs presently employed by the company "COULD" at some point move above the DEC with respect to the rosters and PBS, should they upgrade.

Just for the record, selection for command upgrade does not guarantee upgrade, conditions apply.......:D

Voodoo 3
19th Oct 2014, 05:38
WTD,

My reference to attitude in my post was not directed to you and your post, I apologize. It was more towards those in the right hand seat some whom have been overheard saying things like, 'yeah, I'll get my command next year' or 'it'll be my turn soon'.

People think that it is a given that they will get it and as soon as they begin the process they realize that it isn't and hence why there have been quite a number who have not passed.

Peace brethren. :ok:

what-to-do
19th Oct 2014, 06:29
No problem.

I don't totally disagree with your point, but I guess it's a different topic to the one I was attempting to make.

To be honest, I think there is some good in the fact that FOs, as I once was, think or talk positively about their upgrade. I have never come across anyone at FZ that hasn't worked hard to meet the standard required, but unfortunately, some people will occasionally fall short of the mark. I don't necessarily think it's just down to their attitude.

Dish dash designer
19th Oct 2014, 10:59
Can anyone explain why PBS has suddenly started to fail the group? Have they broken a promise or is it just some group rotation? I can see the future of these broken promises if NOV turns out bad

samca
19th Oct 2014, 16:02
Hi , I have one simple question. If you are a type rated pilot are you also bonded?,

Cheers

Kefuddle
19th Oct 2014, 16:45
Yes, can't remember how much without digging out my contract, but something like 50K USD reducing over three years.

samca
19th Oct 2014, 17:38
Really?, don't understand why I have to be bonded if I'm a type rated pilot.:=

Flyboy_SG
19th Oct 2014, 18:45
Thanks @H.E

I have about 3K on NG.So atleast 2 years at FZ for seat change.

Command as such is a tough nut to crack everywhere. I don't think anyone has ever got it easily, wherever it may be.

Here in India for command, Interview followed by sim suitability, Ground school(80% < hardcore performance !!!) 6 session sim followed by couple of checks, 100 hr Left seat LOFT followed by 10 route checks. A route check has to be 3 sectors min. If one fails one route check, he will start over with the LOFT all over ! :sad:

By the time one passes the 10th Route check, he becomes numb and doesnt feel anything ! :ugh:

flydream1982
20th Oct 2014, 08:38
[QUOTE]Yes, can't remember how much without digging out my contract, but something like 50K USD reducing over three years. [QUOTE]

The bond being 36K USD reducing over 3 years for non type rated, the bond for rated guys is much lower. Around 20K USD I believe...

Vortex Thing
20th Oct 2014, 10:34
I was type rated and had $24,000 (USD). The non type rated who joined with me had contracts stating $36,000 (USD) reducing $1000 per month.

May have changed but I don't believe so.

I never know why some pilots get so excited about bonds. Let's be honst its not real money. Just don't leave then it isn't an issue! Who cares if is it's $1,000,000 you only have to pay it if you leave!!

Not sure how hard it is for people to grasp who keep asing the same recurring question about PBS and rosters.

Basically if you are at the top end of the roster you work 5-7 days of your choice per month. You get off whatever days you ask for, you can basically fly 6 flights to Russia and then have 22 days off.

If you are at the bottom you work 22 days per month, never get your requests fly lots of double sectors and gulf flights or warzones in the middle of the night.

Somewhere in between is in between!

You go from the bottom to the top in about 2.5-3 yrs new joiners perhaps 4yrs and you can expect a shot at command somewhere around 2-3 yrs. if you have the hours on type alreay we have had new joines promote inside 18 months recently!

Its a job you get paid! They pay you more than anyone else on this type so what is there to work out! You are welcome to not come and be employed elsewhere and/or be employed for less elsehwere. If someone can tell me a carrier where we can earn more money flying the B737 NG THAT IS NOT in the US and NOT corporate BBJ work then please feel free to tell me!

jetstreem
20th Oct 2014, 10:58
One word.

China.

Not that I'm planning on going there any time soon, but if you're chasing the money and don't have ties to anywhere in particular, that's where to go. FZ's ok moneywise, but the math doesn't always quite add up. If you come from somewhere where your cost of living was considerably cheaper than Dubai (most of the world, outside the big western cities), and especially if you're supporting a family on a single salary and in the R.H. seat, then don't expect to save as much as you perhaps first thought!

A lot of people who are renewing (or getting new) housing contracts are paying in the region of 100-120k AED (1 bed in a nice area) 150-160k (2 bed) or 160-200k for a 3 bed 'villa'. So if you have a family, you're likely to have to spend over your allowance, just to get somewhere to fit you all in! And that's before bills, flights home etc etc.

All I'm saying is DO THE MATH(s)!!

samca
20th Oct 2014, 12:26
The Bond for me is a problem, even if It is 24 or 20 k. Why I have to pay for a type rating that I have?, It is not fair. They are taking my freedom. I think aviation is gonna change in the coming years and what happen if a good oportunity open in Europe even in my country. I'm free and I decide what to do with my life not they.

Just another question. Is It posible to bid for 5 days consecutive days off?, what are doing people for going to see their families?

Cheers

Kefuddle
20th Oct 2014, 14:58
I was type rated and had $24,000 (USD).
Yup, just check my contract. $24K and not $50K as I previously guessed at.

BritishGuy
20th Oct 2014, 20:05
Not to take a dig at anyone on this forum but it's NOT a case of going from bottom to top of the list in 2.5-3 years. Heck, we've almost just about completed 1 year, so how people are suggesting this is beyond me. As everyone knows in this industry, projections are exactly that, projections. we don't even have any firm data to say that you'll move up the list that fast. You will move up the list as a new joiner/current pilot, but to pacify people with a 2-4 year figure is just plain wrong and incorrect.

And lets face it, even if you move up the list 30% and you're new, you're still not worth much as it's only 10-15% of the top of the list that REALLY get what they want. Anybody below that figure 'settle' for what they bid for. So if you 'settle' - please don't say "you got what you wanted" because you see a 'R' (for requested) on your schedule, you merely got what you're worth. That is PBS in a nutshell.

Again, not saying it's good or bad (and not taking a dig at anyone), just saying how it is.

High Energy
21st Oct 2014, 07:29
A recent quote from another thread in this forum. Read into it what you like;

A Dutch reporter with good connections in the Middle East reports that at least two aircraft were shot at near Baghdad Airport by IS troops.
Likely while landing. One was a Iraqi Airways B747-400. The aircraft departed Malaysia and was on approach for Baghad airport when it was hit 5 times. Because the fuel tanks were not full the tanks did not exploded. Was the aircraft hit at departure it could be much worse.
The Boeing 747-400 was grounded at Baghdad since the incident at August 24.

The other shooting was also an Iraqi Airways aircraft on August 26.

According a former Iraqi Airways pilot she spoke to, shootings happen weekly.

Anyone can confirm this? Iraqi government does not want to make this public. They only communicate about successes in the battle against IS.
Do we have to wait for another aircraft to crash before something is done?

CBS reports IS has MANPADS
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/isis-wit...-with-manpads/

Vortex Thing
21st Oct 2014, 08:18
Samca

If you can't do the time then don't do the crime. If the bond is an issue to you. Then don't come! The firm placed the bond and everyone here signed it. If you think that having to commit yourself for 3 yrs is too onerous then you are of course welcome to not apply!

As for going to see their families. It is not a commuting contract. It is a permanent move your family come here or you deal with the consequences. If you want a commuting contract then KAL, THY, many in Africa and many in China will oblidge you with 20/10 or 6wks/2 wks etc.

You can't have your cake and eat it. If you want this job then you need to commit hook, line and sinker to the firm. Move your family and stop worrying about the commute. If your life in your home country is so marvellous that your family will not/cannot leave then why are you looking at us?

If you are already not happy now before you have even interviewed and been offered then by all means don't waste your time. There are enough people who are unhappy here and you have a choice.

We hope you make the right choice for you but please don't base it on what you want this to be. Base it on what it is which I think many of my colleagues have been pretty open about in this forum. There should be no surprises to you about life in Dubai or FDB if you have read this whole thread.

Vortex Thing
21st Oct 2014, 08:41
So would it be fair to say that we are all married to 6ft blondes, with pneumatic inflate on demand breasts, who think we are their master and commander and whose basic needs consist of selcting suitable lingerie from thier previous jobs as Victoria's Secret models and bringing their friends over for Hugh Heffner style pool parties.

Then I assume that you drive to work from your 10,000 sq ft mansion in Emirates Hills in your special edition Aston Martin Vanquish. Park in your personal parking space, rev up your 565bhp engine until your personal assistants and fluffers come to escort you through the airport in Catch me if you Can style and then strap into our seat fly the perfect day out and comeback to tea and medals.

Very few people get what they want in life! However you can get from the bottom (where we all start in seniority) to the top 15% in 3 yrs and as a current joiner it is not unfair to say 4yrs max. The chances are that you will however promote (this again is a choice you can keep the roster in the RHS and some are choosing to do just that!)

No one is making promises about upgrade but the seniority is pretty much assured the difference between the roster of 2011 joiners and 2013 joiners should show you that.

There are very few airlines in the world where you can get rosters like we have at the top end of our seniority list here.

The data to back up my assertion is try and find for me more than 20 FOs who have served more than 3yrs who have not faltered in the upgrade process, or chosen not to upgrade to keep a good roster. So myself and others asserting 4yrs for a new joiner is in keeping percentage wise with the fact that we have 10 more planes that we had in 2011 and 200 more pilots. In the last 2 months FOs with 18 months service have been on their upgrade courses.

Them's pretty good odds in my book. Just saying!

NinER fIveR
21st Oct 2014, 14:00
We have less than 600 pilots now, but we should be adding in the region of 200 new pilots annually for the foreseeable future (based on crewing requirements for 1 aircraft delivery per month).

So it's really simple: you join as an FO today and in 3 years time you are practically guaranteed to be in the top half of seniority without even accounting for your seat seniority due to upgrades ahead of you. The longer you wait to join though, the more time it will take to improve your seniority.

As for who gets to enjoy their roster, I would say that depends on your definition. If your definition of enjoying your roster is to pick and choose each and every flight and day off on the exact days you want them, then that is reserved to the guys in the top 5 percent, and it will quite honestly never happen for you as a new joiner going forward. It's also a matter of attitude. I have flown with senior guys who wouldn't stop whining about getting 1 "assigned" flight that they hadn't requested out of 10!! :ugh: But if you can enjoy getting one of your preferences (maybe no. 5 or 6) almost all the time, while avoiding war zones and deep nights, and getting more than half of your requested time off exactly when you want it, then being in the top ⅔ of seniority is sufficient.

Flyboy_SG
21st Oct 2014, 15:12
Could someone post the worst FO roster which is possible at FZ ? Say the First month after release.

samca
21st Oct 2014, 19:57
Vortex,

I have no problem in stay in a job for 3,5,7 even 10 years but the thing here is in what conditions?,

I have no children just wife and she is happy with moving to Dubai and live there, in fact we are living farther now. I don't need to go home very month but I want to go each 3 months is It for that why I need to now if I can bid for 5 consecutive days off when I need It. It is normal don't think?, prefer a conmuting but if is not possible at least I would like to have chance of bidding 5 days off in my Schedule. That what I'm asking here nothing else.

It doesn't matters to me if your de the rest of the pilots signed a Bond. It is not fair for a Type rated pilot. Is It like someone say that take drugs becouse his friends do It. So the Bond is not fair for a type rated guy, of course we are free of take It or leave It, you and many others take It and I don't know what I'm going to do. I think if you sign a Bond you have to be completly sure you are going to be happy in a place. And that is what I'm trying to discover here in this thread if you don't mind of course.

Of course if I would have no job I will accept It like is It but for the moment I have a Job and I can analize everything before to decide.

what-to-do
22nd Oct 2014, 03:18
samca,

No, you can't bid for 5 days off in a row. The maximum is 4, and even then, it's not guaranteed that you would get them.

The bond for a type rated person is to cover the cost of converting your license and your 737 rating to a GCAA one. This requires a number of sims before completing your LST.

FZ invests a fair amount of money bringing you to Dubai and therefore they slap a $24,000 bond on type rated joiners. It is a bit steep, but thats the cost.

FZ expect you to at least complete your initial contract of 3 years, by which point there is no bond. Furthermore, under UAE law, you are entitled to an end of service benefit when you leave. This kicks in after 2 years. If you decide to leave FZ after 2 years, your end of service benefit should pay the remainder of your bond.

We have 600 pilots and growing. Many of us are rated and have had no issue paying this fee. Take it or leave it is the only advice I can give. This is the Middle East and it's their train set to do with as they like.

jetstreem
22nd Oct 2014, 08:34
Samca,

I agree with what-to-do. This is the Middle East, and I think the bond should be the least of your worries. There are lots of things that are simply 'this is the deal; take it or leave it'. There's no negotiation on our part, and no escaping the consequences.

Whether or not it's 'fair' doesn't come into it. (Personally, I probably agree with you! I don't think it is!) But that's the terms that they set out, and there's no getting round it.

One or two people have not liked it and literally run away, but most people stick it out for a few years at least. If you decide to run, then you can forget getting your logbook signed by the company of course!

My advice would be to come out here and visit. Try and see if you can picture yourself and your wife living here. That's usually the thing that breaks people. If you don't like it, then with a 737 rating, there should be plenty of other options around the world for you.

Oh, and we get 6 weeks leave per year, assigned a year in advance. So you can position these through the year to ensure you get home every 2 months. Getting blocks of days off through bidding, as a new joiner, is nearly impossible.

Hope that helps.

samca
22nd Oct 2014, 14:17
jetstream and what to do

Thank you for your reply. It is good to know that you can bid for 4 consecutive days off and change with other pilots for taking more days. Also good alternative if you have 45 days per year because you can take in 15 days block. So it is not bad. Let see what happen, first I have to pass the assessment, it is not easy and then to decide.

cheers

BritishGuy
22nd Oct 2014, 18:58
You can bid for whatever you like (multiple 4 days off back to back), but you WILL NOT get it. Only the top percentile will ever get that.

And also you cannot bid for 15 days off. You can only bid for chunks of 7 days off at a time. But I know what you mean.

You don't really have much to decide about right now. You only have a decision to make once you have an offer. But being informed is always wise.

samca
23rd Oct 2014, 05:12
Totally agree with you British guy. Step by step. Thank you

yuck
23rd Oct 2014, 05:43
@ what-to-do

stockholm syndrome???

Vortex Thing
23rd Oct 2014, 09:52
Samca,

Life isn't fair. If you want to go home once every three months then you do have 42 days annual leave at your disposal for this very thing.

You state you have no children so you are not concerned about travelling in school holidays this makes your life very easy. You simpy bid for 14 days off from your leave go home and fill your boots!

We have many US collegaues here who book a month off to go home as they have to travel so much further, we have guys here from South America who do very similar. Anyone coming from Europe really has no issue as it is very easy to get home if they do not travel in the school holidays.

Jetstream and British Guy make some good points. You will never get 4 days off from the bottom of the seniority list, plan on 2!

The best point however is coming here. To be honest Dubai is exactly what you think it is. If you come for interview and don't think wow OMG I hope I get this job as I can live like this for 20+ yrs or at least yep I can do 5-10yrs to develop my career and move on then don't join. If you are joining for the money as a junior FO trust me you will be dissapointed as the cost of living is now high enough that you will break even or live to such a low standard that you will question being here and that is assuming you have no debt at all! (Yes granted without children it is a lot cheaper but do you plan to never have children?)

Personally we love Dubai and hope to not move untill retirement. I do not understand why people want to live in UK when they can live here. But it isnt for everyone and were not all from the UK! But there is a reason that the largest proportion of non subcontinent expats are from UK.

You can only choose from what is on the table so get offered the job first and put all your other options on the table and then pick wha is right for you. I would suggest however if you are already questioning committing a small period of time such as 3yrs then I'm not sure if it is for you. EK now has a 5 yr bond and I think that is a good thing for many reasons ( but that is for another thread)

BritishGuy
23rd Oct 2014, 11:44
Or plan on one day off if you're lucky, like I got in November. Approximately 50% Captain seniority with me. Couldn't manage more than 1 day off after Annual Leave because of 'Operational Reasons'.

It ain't all bad, but be VERY REALISTIC in what you expect from this place.

pole shift
24th Oct 2014, 16:37
A small birdie from the GCAA and even further up, 'suggested' to the management that too many people, get too many days off, and go away too much, taking with them too much money.
Some people are about to be hit by a sandstorm :ooh:

what-to-do
25th Oct 2014, 18:34
Yuck,

Please tell me you didn't lie awake all night trying to come up with that?

Don't confuse an honest post about the reality of life here at FZ and the ME with someone prepared to defend it.

:ugh:

737 northener
26th Oct 2014, 16:59
Apart from the bond, does anyone know if theres any restrictions on moving from Fly Dubai to Emirates?

I understand there are restrictions on moving from Emirates to the likes of Etihad but I'm not sure what they are.

As a background, I already operate the 737 but I want to make sure that I have options in the future

skysod
27th Oct 2014, 15:04
Car parking at flydubai HQ withdrawn for all pilots, cabin crew and engineers, but not for the office staff WTF??!!:mad:

G SXTY
28th Oct 2014, 07:44
Of course. HQ parking is limited and reserved for people crucial to the 24/7 operation, who would cause severe disruption if they were late for work.

Oh, hang on . . . :ugh::ugh:

NinER fIveR
28th Oct 2014, 11:33
In a couple of months they will look at the delay code data and say "hmmmm, that's funny...". It will take them a few meetings to figure it out.

By then we will be getting ready for Maktoum operations and this will all be meaningless.

Well played everyone :D

Skud Run
29th Oct 2014, 23:21
Good day all,

I am looking for information about a timeline for the move to Al Maktoom Airport. I am looking at moving to Dubai in the next couple months as I have received the nod. I was looking for places to live and was considering Sharjah for financial reasons as waterfront condos are significantly cheaper than the Marina in Dubai. Also by looking on Google Maps, it seems closer to Terminal 2 than Dubai. But if FZ move the operation to Al Maktoom, that would change things for sure :confused:. Any info would be appreciated.

High Energy
30th Oct 2014, 04:40
***unconfirmed*** Starting JAN15 two 737 a month will be stationed at DWC. Six aircraft initially. (JAN-FEB-MAR)

Vortac1
30th Oct 2014, 09:36
I'd stay away from Sharja, traffic to/from Dubai is living hell.

NinER fIveR
3rd Nov 2014, 13:01
flydubai: ?Our niche is Dubai.? But could Emirates have incorporated the short-haul strategy? | CAPA - Centre for Aviation (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/flydubai-our-niche-is-dubai-but-could-emirates-have-incorporated-the-short-haul-strategy-193139)

flydubai's fleet could reach 200 aircraft with more liberalisation, connections and partnerships | CAPA - Centre for Aviation (http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/flydubais-fleet-could-reach-200-aircraft-with-more-liberalisation-connections-and-partnerships-194367)

Skud Run
19th Nov 2014, 03:28
Good day,

I am trying to get some info about FZ joining benefits.

1-When we book our flights to DXB for a start, can we stop along the way somewhere for a few days in between jobs or is the ticket only covered from Home base to DXB?

2-For the family to be eligible for moving tickets, do they have to show up with you or can they follow once the Type Rating is done and still be reimbursed?

3-I have an infant (5 month old), does he get a seat or just an in lap ticket from FZ?

4-Do we get $1000 for extra luggage allowance? That is what we were told at CTC Southampton!

I know these questions are better directed at someone in Recruitment but I was just given a name for my RC but no contact info :rolleyes:. I tried using [email protected] and no reply :hmm:. If someone could PM me a number even the general number for the office (Not Reservations)

Thanks for your help and info

BritishGuy
19th Nov 2014, 08:49
Skud Run, here goes.......

1. FZ will give you the cheapest routing to DXB. If that stops over in desirable places or undesirable places, that's pot luck. Whether it's direct or not is also pot luck. They'll try to get you to DXB using FlyDubai and if they can't then the next cheapest thing going. Don't bother trying to 'request' anything different, even if it makes sense to you. The company will do what makes sense to them (that means whatever is cheapest normally). So homebase to DXB only.

2. Your family are eligible for their jointing tickets anytime you're ready. Most people (and have many company personnel) advise on bringing family out once your type rating/training is done. Remember, anything can happen. Most people I speak to bring their family out after training is done.

3. Your 5 year old is classified an infant hence will not get his own seat. Lap only.

4. Someone else may have to chime in here. It's been a while. I know FZ give money towards relocation (it's a nominal amount - would have to be self subsidized), but whether that can be used toward extra luggage, I'm not sure.

Hope some of that helps.

Skud Run
20th Nov 2014, 03:28
Thanks BritishGuy,

Thanks for the info. As for point 1, they have changed the rule on that. In the first e-mail they sent us that we made it, they claimed to have got a lot of headache from guys and booking them on routes that didn't work. So now they offer you 3000 dhs and you make your own way here. So about $1000 to fly from across the world around christmas :rolleyes: But I guess its better than nothing. Now they did also mention that if you think the amount in not sufficient then to contact your RC which comes with no contact info :ugh:

The rest of the info was great though, thanks again

NGFellow
20th Nov 2014, 03:50
For any job here, I recommend that your family stay put until you are done with training and the probationary period if applicable. I know personally of at least three people in the past few years who were terminated during the probationary period with their respective companies. In all the excitement of a new job, they shifted their families almost immediately, bought furniture and signed leases. It was a very uncomfortable situation for them as they had to make a hasty exit.

Vortac1
20th Nov 2014, 06:17
In regards to No 4: yes you'll get about $1000 for relocating expenses (besides the airline ticket), you can use it for extra luggage fees, shipping your belongings over, etc. As soon as you finish your training you submit an expense report with the corresponding receipts and you get the reimbursement on your next pay check. Same procedure applies for getting reimbursed on your relocating tickets, as well as your family's.

Hope this helps.
V

Dish dash designer
21st Nov 2014, 07:03
As a DEC in the 2000s I can tell you that PBS gives min days off and no requests granted for days off. I was fully aware of this, so I am prepared for another year to get a better roster. My American colleges have told me that if I were in th USA I would be on standby for 2 years, so this is quite normal. One thing you will notice is that you don't get much for your money here. For instance tesco muesli is £6 here, but only £2.89 in the UK. A punnet of strawberries is £4 compared to £1 in the UK. Locally made bread is on a par. The only things that are cheap are water, fizzy pop, and petrol. Expect to pay at least double across the board for the cost of living. I can't see anyone with a family eating out at restaurants very often, even a kids dinner at a restaurant is £15+. Someone else mentioned that a beer in the marina is £6.50, I would say that is accurate.

The company seems very over staffed in the office, maybe that's why they are so restricted on getting jobs done effectively? I think the problem with the parking at the office has been resolved to a satisfactory point after several knee jerk policies and retractions.

All in all. Yes, the weather is great and it's a nice place to live.

Dish dash designer
26th Nov 2014, 06:08
What a shocking change to PBS, the honey moon is now certainly over for most senior guys who are back to min days off. Terrible rosters are back and the crew room is filled with anger over the 2 faced lies. I can only imagine the trickle of people getting their logbook stamped will increase this month as people start looking for an escape route. You will feel the pain of all those FOs who delayed their upgrade for the lifestyle of a good roster, and now only to be cheated both out of the money and more days off.

ManaAdaSistem
26th Nov 2014, 06:46
transport jock Care to elaborate for those of us waiting to join?

Your roster just got better.

LostinT2DXB
26th Nov 2014, 06:47
The problem isn't PBS. There are two problems: 1. People don't know how to bid for their seniority. 2. Unrealistic expectations.

The people that are complaining the most are the ones that used to go upstairs and "buy" their rosters from planning or the the guys that loved to make deals.

The common theme heard is "I've been here two years and I can get this or that!" You can't measure seniority by your longevity with a company. You have to know where you are on the seniorty list. Yes, the top 20% of each respective seat list will have a high satisfaction rate with their rosters. The guys between 20%-70% will have mixed results based on desires/expectations. The bottom 25-30% get the leftovers or in other countries would sit the entire month on standby and would be flying the leftovers anyway. At least here you get your flights in advance and don't sit standby an entire month waiting for the phone to ring.

PBS isn't perfect at any airline, but it's better than any other system this company has tried!

Ali Ronn
26th Nov 2014, 07:20
Actually you are quite wrong in your analysis.

I am a senior (top 50) captain in the Company and I know exactly how to bid and what I can hold, yet my December roster is an absolute shambles. This is not the work of AIMS running without interference. The only question is whether that interference is applied pre- optimisation, post-optimisation or both!

High Energy
26th Nov 2014, 07:24
I agree with that. There are a few other issues like getting days off before & after leave but in general PBS does what it needs to do for me. I find the ones that are complaining are the ones that bid for days off. They rarely get any requested day off so slag off the system. And I can see their point and do sympatize.

My DEC roster is bloody awesome. Got my single requested day off and only 9 flying days. Seven of those requested days too. Don't care about christmas and new year so requested to work to alleviate pressure on others desperate to get those days off.

FYI;
10 Days leave
7 Days off (1 requested and granted)
9 1/2 flying days (7 1/2 of those are requested)
2 STBY's (day)
1 Rest day

Total 56 block hours. Pretty awesome if I say so myself.
(F/O, <2 yrs at flydubai)

samca
26th Nov 2014, 12:14
I can not understand the policy of CTC. they sent me an email offering me to change my assestment day, They put in the Mail reply to this email and say if you accept.

I reply the Mail accepting the change and nobody answer me giving a feedback or confirmation. So now I don't know when is my assestment day. I don't like this, I think I probably going to stay in my current company. What they pretend to treat candidates like monkeys?, I'm a profesional pilot type rated and with almost 1000 hrs on the NG.I hate people that no answer mails I don't going to send more mails. Bad part I paid for the interview 2 months ago:bored:. Never ever in my life going to pay again for an interview, less now that I'm a proffesional pilot. Seems to me that this people of CTC are not intersted in good FOs, and for them It doesn't matters if you Fly or not the aircraft, if you have experience on the NG or not, take care boys...

cosmiccomet
26th Nov 2014, 12:36
First BIG mistake was to pay for an interview!!!! This is the biggest issue you, Europeans, have.
Your "habit" to pay for interviews and for type ratings has ruin the pilot profession in EU.

NotsoEZY
26th Nov 2014, 18:06
High energy.......who are you paying to get such a deal?

PBS has been tampered with now that they figured out how to alter the results. There is only one option for FD now to retain pilots, and that is to pay for years of service or return PBS to what it was intended to be.

Did the same judges as Qatar getting World Cup also grant FD the best airline award?

Skud Run
27th Nov 2014, 04:31
Hey Samca,

You paid for a CTC assessment? Why did you do that? I did my assessment at CTC a couple months ago and didn't have to pay a dime! What's the deal here?

On another note; Not answering phone calls seems to be a theme with alot of places and doesn't end at CTC.

Skud Run
1st Dec 2014, 05:42
I would like to get some info about the training facilities whereabouts and the hotel that FZ will put us up in for the first month or so.
2-Also if there are any recommendations for alternatives that work and might get a couple guys saving a few dollars right from the get go.
3-Do we need a car rental or easy access?

Any advice you guys can pass our way might make life a bit easier for us upon arrival.

Thanks

High Energy
1st Dec 2014, 06:23
Welcome first of all!

(this is what I had a few years back, so likely it has changes a bit)
1. Training facilities are at CAE Emirates. (Garhoud, oposite Irish Village ;) and NOT at Silicon Oasis)
There are a few instances where you are required to show at HQ or Flydubai training facility at Dubai Airport Freezone. Those are mostly towards the end and the bulk of your time is spend at CAE Emirates Garhoud.

2. You will most likely be put up at Holiday Inn express or Premier Inn near Terminal 3. They are ok and good access to metro and close to the training facility and Terminal 3 itself. After the initial 4 weeks you'll have to get something for yourself. There are many options. Extending your stay where you are. You'll get the Flydubai rate and I believe it's within the housing allowance. Or get are a cheap hotel/appartment (check Deira region) or share a villa with a few guys. Note that sharing with someone you are not married to is illegal. However if the landlord allows you to share he is at fault too so you can twist his arm if he threatens with whatever.

3. Taxi's are cheap and since you are very close to the metro you can take that to CAE or into town/malls. There is a stop close to CAE Garhoud. For a cheap and chearfull rental car we get Flydubai discount at Dollar Rent-a-Car Terminal 2.
One month for roughly 1300-1500 AED. I've used them many times, even nowadays.

When you arrive, as soon as you can, get a mobile phone. You'll need your passport with a VISA stamped into it for a contract and something else I can't remember. I got a cheap pay as you go and still use it.

Vortac1
1st Dec 2014, 10:09
Just one thing, on the post above, item 2, I believe High Energy meant "after 4 WEEKS you will have to find something on your own." Not 4 months... :ok:

Also, keep in mind, if you decide to take company accommodation, you will not get your housing allowance upon arrival, nor will you get it on your first paycheck, you'll start receiving it on your second paycheck. Many in my class were burned with this little gem from FD a few months back. If you can, just ask for the allowance and find your own accommodation, this way you'll get your full housing allowance on your first paycheck, 30 days after class date.

V

NGFellow
2nd Dec 2014, 01:20
B737NG sims are in Garoud and Silicon Oasis. While taxi's may be cheap, I would suggest getting a rental car soon after arriving. You can get a car for around AED 1500-1800/per month and that gives you "wheels" 24/7 rather than a having a cab just for a specific journey. It gives you flexibility to explore etc etc. Silicon Oasis cab ride is more expensive and getting a cab from there can be difficult (depending on time of day).

arabian rancher
3rd Dec 2014, 15:43
Greetings all

Can confirm Carb Heat's information about Holiday Inn Express, except the price they have just quoted me is 280 Aed per night inclusive but seems far more sensible than letting Flydubai keep all of the accommodation allowance.

Have a couple of questions, firstly wondered if anyone else on here has a start date in February, and if so do you want to pm me to exchange real world as opposed to virtual world contact details?

Also is it normal to still get absolutely no response to emails to the HR department, even after being given a start date and contract? Having worked in the Middle East before I'm not really surprised, but just wondering?

Thanks for any replies and all the useful stuff already here.

NinER fIveR
4th Dec 2014, 04:58
Some things to keep in mind re: housing and accommodation especially when you first arrive to DXB.

1. FZ will take your entire housing allowance for the first month but they will use it to put you up in a hotel apartment rather than a simple 30 sq ft hotel room. They have used the Marriott by the creek and the Movenpick in Deira as examples of that in the past. It's up to you to decide how much space and convenience you need, but I found this setup much better than having to live in a suitcase and a bed while studying for a month.

2. You can usually extend the 1st month at wherever it is they put you up by negotiating a deal at same (sometimes better) prices, so even when FZ start giving you your housing cash you can continue to live out of your hotel apartment until you can find longer term accommodation. This can be very useful if you are non-rated and will be in training for months instead of weeks, or if you simply want to take your time finding a house. Some guys who joined in 2009 are still living at the Marriott.

3. Taking your time with finding a house or apartment is crucial. Remember that FZ won't give you any advances on housing allowance until you pass your Line Check at the end of initial training. Also, you probably know that the Dubai housing market is extremely volatile and my suggestion is to choose wisely at the beginning to avoid crazy landlords who want to up your rent 20% every year. Get a place well within your means to make room for increases, and try to get a local landlord or one that doesn't have 20 apartments and does it purely for milking rental returns. If you rush, I guarantee you will be looking for a new place after 1 year.

4. For God's sakes DO NOT call up a real estate agent and tell them you have xxx housing allowance to spend, because guess what? they will ensure that you spend it. Most expats come here clueless, and in their eagerness to hit the ground running, they do very little research and defer to agents so they end up paying top dirham for mediocre housing and drive everybody else's rents up in the process.

Bottom line: you could save a couple of thousand dirhams by opting for a small hotel room at the beginning but it will be uncomfortable and you will be very eager to move out as quickly as possible, rushing your long term decisions. Furnished/serviced hotel apartments (whether provided by FZ or self-negotiated) are a better way to transition into Dubai, and you could live there comfortably alone or with a small family for a few months while you prepare.

High Energy
4th Dec 2014, 05:58
Don't know if things have changed but I got my housing allowance advance after passing my simcheck. The same rule applied but they were very helpful to set people up quickly.

Otto Throttle
7th Dec 2014, 09:02
Likewise, I got mine after only 5 weeks from joining. There are many rules here relating to many different aspects of payroll and HR policies, but there seems to be a flexible mindset regarding the application of those policies.

If you ask for an advance on your housing allowance, you will get it.

And yes, non-response to emails from soon-to-be new joiners is completely normal. Welcome

NinER fIveR
8th Dec 2014, 16:17
You may need feedback from someone who joined more recently then, transport jock. Those 2 hotels were the preferred ones in early to mid-2013, and the Marriott certainly way before that. Things may have changed. Try calling HR (or whoever is corresponding with you right now at FZ) and find out where they are currently putting up the new joiners.

Vortac1
8th Dec 2014, 18:09
Guys/gals,

The wait is horrible, and leaves much to be desired from FD. I think this has been their MO unfortunately for a long time.

For whatever it's worth, the start date will come, the contract will be sent, albeit at last minute more than likely.

Hang in there guys...

Vortac1
8th Dec 2014, 18:45
For whatever it's worth, some of the guys that interviewed with me got a class date for 2-3 months later. Most of us got the email to start 8 months later. Granted they advised us of the delay after 6 months due to training being backed up...

High Energy
8th Dec 2014, 18:46
Don't worry, that's all normal. You'll hear many different versions but you'll get it at some point. The department that is dealing with you guys is small and I think they are just swamped with work. But they are really nice and will do their best for you, but just when they have time. It's just the volume of work I think. I didn't get my stuff until 2 weeks prior to starting. No tickets until 2 days prior...

arabian rancher
9th Dec 2014, 09:17
Transport Jock,

If it helps I got an email back from the Movenpick 4 days ago offering me a rate of 450dhs per night, they said it was for a "superior room" so don't know of that is the same as FD book, but they said it was an FD staff rate, but it comes out so close to the full allowance that it seems easier just to let FD sort it out.

The other problem I can see is that the hotels all want credit card details if you book, and if for any reason FD change the start dates you could possibly be left with a room paid for that you don't need.

kiross
9th Dec 2014, 19:59
Would anybody be willing to pm me a breakdown on the latest remuneration package on offer for a non rated new f/o?

nosegears
10th Dec 2014, 00:16
Please if anyone know what @kiross as asking please send this MP to me too

B737SFP
10th Dec 2014, 02:28
I would appreciate that info ($) as well...

Please, be kind to your fellow colleagues !

:)

flydream1982
10th Dec 2014, 08:57
Basic+housing+transport = just shy of 32000 aed a month. Add 110 aed per block hour. So depending on your flying, around 40000aed a month.

FlyingTinCans
10th Dec 2014, 10:38
FOs pay:

Basic 17000
Housing 12600
Transport 2000

The above is all fixed so 31600 per month will be your minimum pay and you can spend it as you wish (i.e you can spend less or more on your housing but FZ will still give you 12600 per month).

Flight pay is variable (114 per block hour for FO's) and it can vary quite a lot. An 80hr month would add 9000 to your monthly pay. If you have 2 weeks leave and only do 40hrs, flight pay would be 4500.

One thing that does catch new joiners out is you receive NO flight pay during the type rating & duty pay doesn't exist at FZ, so 31600 is all you receive for the TR months.

BritishGuy
10th Dec 2014, 17:04
ok, I'll take a stab at the correct flight pay. It is 119 AED per flying hour for FOs. Not 110 AED or 114 AED as stated above (unless something has changed in the last 2 months).

B737SFP
10th Dec 2014, 23:21
Tks for the updated values guys...

That helps a lot in the decision process !

Anyone could share toughts about how is flying to warzone destinations?

I heard that a FZ acft was found with a bullet hole on it, is that real? Are incidents concerning this matter frequent?

Cheers,

yuck
11th Dec 2014, 12:12
Goooooooooooooooooooood morning Vietn... Sorry, SOMALIA!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

NinER fIveR
13th Dec 2014, 11:46
I agree that "challenging" is the better word. A lot of guys here are drama queens who think that anything outside of Eurocontrol is a "war zone", and treat them as such. I've heard Captains casually drop the hint that they would NOT even consider diverting to perfectly suitable enroute alternates such as Cairo or Tehran :ugh:
We DO go to Kabul and usually have about 10 odd flights daily to Afghan and Iraqi airports. You should expect at least 1 of these flights on your roster every month, and maybe even 2-3 when you first start due to seniority. We also get quite extensive and prompt security briefings about these destinations and flights are canceled when there is trouble. I would say that most people try to avoid them in bidding, but some don't mind going there because they are mostly easy 5-6 hr block day trips.

The bullet was in fact on the ground in Djibouti, and as Captain Mainwaring said it was a personal issue involving a security guard and a private jet passenger on a nearby stand. As far as I know this is the only serious incident we've had involving weapons of any kind and our aircraft was hit accidentally, not "attacked". The Peshawar incident a few months back was an attack on a PIA flight on short final.

G SXTY
13th Dec 2014, 14:48
And to keep things in perspective, whilst I don't exactly relish trips to Kabul, or our other 'challenging' destinations, i'm in no doubt that the riskiest part of my day is the drive to and from work. By quite some margin.

Plan on buying a car that weighs 2 tonnes minimum. :ok:

ABBOT
14th Dec 2014, 04:26
Agree with Captain Mainwaring, it does pong a bit. Plenty of two tonne cars around, but crank up to three tonne. It is good to have Newton on your side when you are failed by one of Darwins little mistakes.

Vortex Thing
14th Dec 2014, 07:42
Land Rover Defender
Mitsubishi Shogun/ Pajero
Land Rover Discovery
Jeep Grand Cherokee
BMW X6
Isuzu Trooper
Kia Sorento
Kia Mohave
Toyota Land Cruiser
Land Rover Range Rover
Mercedes-Benz GL
Mercedes-Benz M-Class
Volkswagen Touareg
Audi Q7
Nissan Armada/Patrol

It was a UK site so GMC, Ford F150/Expedition, Caddi escalade, Hummer, etc etc are all missing but Im sure you can work out that a 5.7ltr Ford F150 Raptor might just comfortably do the job!!!!

Above list is a list from a car website of standard road vehicles tha can tow over 3.5 tonnes. The vehicles themsleves weigh 2-3 tonnes.

At the cheap end you can get a brand new Kia Sorento or Mohave for 79,000-99,000AED.

In the middle you can get a new Prado for 179,000AED or new Disco for 229,000AED at the single captain, no kids, lucky sod end of the market you can get a new Range Rover for 300,000AED and for the stupid end a Merc G wagon for 700,000AED (AMG of course!)

You can pick up very easily 2nd hand versions of these for 25% of new price if you go for 5-7 yrs old or 50% of new price for 3-5 yrs old.

If someone is going to hit you you want to be drivig one of these. G sixty is more than correct. If the banking process, powerpoint presentations or paperwork don't kill you then the next biggest threat is getting on the road.

Get some muscle! You wont regret it!

simba82
14th Dec 2014, 13:28
Hey FD Staff how many 800's are expected to be delivered in 2015?

Cheers

High Energy
14th Dec 2014, 14:02
@Simba. That's 8 in 2015, 8 in 2016, 8 in 2017 followed by 12 each year onwards. If plans don't change...

simba82
15th Dec 2014, 11:03
awesome thanks for the info ..hopefully they hire more aircraft maintenance engineers next year:ok:

samca
16th Dec 2014, 13:08
This people of CTC are incompetent they don't answers mails regarding the change of my assestment, first they offer to change my assestment I accepted and no feedback, I have sent three mails asking to confirm and nobody answer me. I don't know if really they want type rated pilots with experience on the NG but how can they pretend that you leave a stable Job for going to work with people that show such unrespectful atittude before you even go for the assestment. And also still waiting the refund of my assestment fee.. They said yes we going to refund but still waiting. Anyway I'm thinking seriously even go for the assestment, this people of CTC treat proffesional pilots like monkeys. i don't know how a company like Flydubai can thrust the training to this guys. :*

DILLIGAF.
17th Dec 2014, 05:53
This is probably a complaint you need to take up with CTC, they run the recruitment programme there, answering these emails is not a responsibility of Flydubai. If you think not getting a response for something as trivial as this is poor, are you sure you're ready for life in the Middle East? Also, just to be clear, the initial training is run by CAE not CTC....so Flydubai is not "thrusting" their training at them at all.

CTC is a huge company and runs recruitment for many airlines including Monarch, Qatar, and more recently Virgin. Have you tried picking up the phone to these people? sometimes that helps more than just an email

Simba 82....speaking to engineering - they are short staffed so am sure recruitment will be an ongoing process!

plt radioman
17th Dec 2014, 13:57
Hey everybody! Newbie here.

The people of CTC were very helpfull during my pre-assesment period back this summer. After passing the Dubai event, i gave them a "thank you call" which really made them happy. They are usually quit busy, so its best to understand them, and let them know you are aware of that situation, and they will answer your emails.

So its been some time, im assumeing i passed the ref. checks cause i was asked for passport details. No news is good news right??

airborneksa
18th Dec 2014, 12:15
received confirmation flydubai assessments are to start in Istanbul from 3rd February 2015, but only for rated guys.

High Energy
18th Dec 2014, 16:16
I bet Turkish/Sunexpress would love that, lol! ;)

plt radioman
18th Dec 2014, 19:39
not so many TK guys, but mostly SXS and some PGT guys will/might give a try!

Başarılar!

High Energy
19th Dec 2014, 06:08
Joining date. They'll come in on day one with a box with pilot seniority numbers and at random you'll pick one. That's your seniority number from there onwards.

NinER fIveR
19th Dec 2014, 08:49
Actually what High Energy probably meant to say was that the "Pilot Seniority Number" gets pulled out of the box at random, as a "tiebreaker" when more than one pilot is joining on the same date, which is the case almost all the time. In my case, I was the only pilot joining that day (sim partner bailed last minute) so I got handed my next in line Seniority Number by the CP. Your Seniority Number remains with you when you change seats.

Your "Staff Numbers" are meaningless from any sort of benefits viewpoint, and are only good for filing and giving everyone a rough idea about how long you've been here.

High Energy
19th Dec 2014, 16:48
Well normal? Haven't heard of this method before. All my previous companies allocated your number based on previous hours flown.

too_much
19th Dec 2014, 20:36
You most probably left FZ by the time a chance to upgrade comes along.

In my opinion FZ are going down hill, with what started out as a promising airline has now become just another loco that couldn't care less about its pilots. Your not a person, just a number to them.

Just wait for that salary to be cut in half in the next 10 years....

Mrglass
23rd Dec 2014, 16:27
2014 FO pay (i.e: My Salary):
$121,781

Includes ALL remuneration: Basic + Housing + Transport + Flight Pay

Seniority ~1yr
Flew: 673.4hrs

Hope this is useful in your decision whether to give FZ a try.

sandson
27th Dec 2014, 18:29
Hi guys! Any info regarding interview invitation for NTR captains? Specially those with Airbus type? I heard that they prefer MD80 captains rather than Airbus guys...:{

fastman737
28th Dec 2014, 08:57
Can anyone say ballpark total pay for year 1 Captains, including all allowances, per year?

Thanks

ABBOT
28th Dec 2014, 19:54
Around 53,000 AED.

Mgggpilot
14th Jan 2015, 03:37
Hi everyone,
CTC have sent me an email to attend interview either in Uk or Dubai. They stated I have to pay 210 GBP online to book a slot for the interview.
My quetions: 1) Has anyone got same email?
2) If successful do I pay for my rating? as I am non rated with turboprop hrs

Please help

Mrglass
14th Jan 2015, 03:44
"CTC have sent me an email to attend interview either in Uk or Dubai. They stated I have to pay 210 GBP online to book a slot for the interview.
My quetions: 1) Has anyone got same email?
2) If successful do I pay for my rating? as I am non rated with turboprop hrs"

- I was interviewed in 2013, don't think I had to pay but not surprised if this has changed.

- I would think that they would make it very clear if you are on the CADET program in the email. If you are a normal applicant (Direct entry FO either TR or NTR) then you do not pay for your type rating. It is done at CAE in dubai and you are bonded by the company for 3 years to prevent you from leaving after 6 months. But no out of pocket expense.

- If you are a Cadet...then yes, you pay for your type rating and enter as a Second Officer.

From your information I think you're just a normal FO entry...do the interview, and you'll get a training slot in CAE dubai. If you pass! Good luck

Hope this helps.

Non rev
14th Jan 2015, 14:16
Also got an email for Miami assessment. They want 210 GBP :=

too_much
14th Jan 2015, 17:13
They charge that fee because they know you suckers will pay it!! Get a grip and avoid company's like CTC & rishworth etc.

You know I was invited for interview recently by a similar size airline in Asia and they paid all expenses including my flights to & from my home, hotel, even breakfast lunch & dinner was included.

FZ is a rip off company heading towards ridiculous T&C 10K for FO & 15K for skippers is a disgrace considering you will fly in to rocket attack zones & live in hell hole Dubai.

They need to pay you for interview! And up those salaries by at least 30%

skysod
15th Jan 2015, 05:09
I wasn't aware that the company was charging people for interview!..........must say, if that had been the case 5 years ago, I would NOT be here now!!

what-to-do
16th Jan 2015, 06:59
@transport jock,

If you worked at FZ you would know that the salaries quoted are indeed quite realistic.

FO salary of 39,000 AED = 10,600 USD
CP salary of 54,000 AED = 14,700 USD

Salaries are approximate and include flight pay.